2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

BeenVerified provides customers with access to public records without having to visit courthouses or private organizations. Using a phone number, email, address, username or vehicle identification number, customers can access a slew of information from criminal records to hidden social media profiles.

Unsubscribe at any time.

BeenVerified Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BeenVerified?

Original review: June 20, 2020

I have tried to find info on several people but their search doesn't find anything but their name and addresses they haven't lived at in 10-15 years. Just took my money but you get nothing. Complete rip offs. I want my money back.

Hi Jimmie,

We appreciate your feedback. Can you share with us, what information you were looking for? How could we have made your experience better?

BeenVerified's database contains information collected from public records and publicly available data, compiled from thousands of different sources. How current the information is can also depend on how often that person interacts with these kinds of agencies. Have they filled out a change of address form? Recently purchased a home? for example.

We have cancelled and refunded your subscription, details of the refund has been sent to the email address we have on file. If we can provided further assistance please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Beenverified are liars and crooks! In April, they offered me a promotional rate of $1.00 per month for unlimited background checks for as long as I kept the account opened. When I called to sign up for this offer, the representative said she'd have someone contact me, and no-one ever did. I called back a few days later and spoke to a supervisor by the name of Patrick who told me that he didn't know how to charge my debit card the $1, but he would set it up so that I would be charged $9.95/mo., then they would immediately refund me the $8.95 - and I'd only end up paying $1 per month. This happened in April.

Then in May and June, I was charged $9.95 both months (instead of $1.00 like they had agreed). So I spoke to Patrick about it and he told me that apparently I canceled the service in April, then re-enacted it in May -- so it went up to $9.95 a month. I told him that I never canceled the service - and he insisted that I did an automated cancellation (which was a big fat lie!,) which ended the promotional rate of $1/mo. I was shocked that this company that I had trusted had deceived me in this manner. I will never, EVER do business with them again. I still can't get over their duplicity.

Hello Elizabeth,

We apologize that you are having trouble accessing the special offer that was sent to your email. Sometimes when accessing the offer, if you are not signed out of your account the pricing will convert to the renewal rate instead of the special offer.

We emailed the offer and directions to take advantage of the special offer that was sent and we apologize for the issues you had while trying to subscribe to the offer. It appears your account is cancelled and fully refunded.

We're sorry to see you go, but glad you were able to try out our website. If we can provide any further assistance please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com

Original review: June 18, 2020

Don't use this shoddy service. I paid about $56.00 or so for a 3 month adventure with these folks. They led me to believe that I would have access to all security requests for three months. This is not true. I was allowed only 10 "windows" as they refer to it, which is limiting you to background checks for only 10 people. This is up to and including fraud. In other words you can run checks on 10 people for a total of 3 months, or 3 1/3 reports a month. In attempting to review your information after your 10 "windows", you can not get back into the website. The explanation regarding this service is inadequate, however the info you receive is really quite good. Consumers beware!

Hi Ralph,

We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the service. I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience. Upon review of the account you subscribed to our 3 month subscription plan for unlimited background reports.Currently we only allot 10 monitoring features with unlimited reports. Our current 3 month subscription plan price is for $44.58 and includes unlimited reports and our PDF access.

Please be assured that your account was canceled and you were issued a refund of $44.58. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however, please note that it may take up to 10 days for the refund to reflect on your bank statement depending on your financial institution.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at support@beenverified.com.

Original review: June 12, 2020

First off, they state plainly on their signup that you must e-mail or call them to cancel your subscription instead of, you know, the thing that any intelligent company does which is to allow the user to cancel with a click of a mouse. Knowing this, I decided to use a prepaid card. When I tried using it, it said "only credit cards from the United States" are accepted. I bought this card in the United States. What a pathetic company. I bet their information is total BS too. Stay far, far away from them.

Hello John,

BeenVerified is an easy-to-access collection of public record information. Public records are collected through official government records such as mortgage deeds and court records, and through sources such as magazine subscriptions, warranty cards and utility bills.

Our system will automatically detect activity that is linked to a source that is outside the U.S. We are unable to offer the use of our service to customers located outside the U.S.

If you're interested in trying out the service, you can access a special $1 trial offer here: https://www.beenverified.com/lp/edae7e/4/special-offer

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: May 31, 2020

I got on the site because it said catch a cheater and put the number in to see who they texted and pictures! That’s is totally false! False advertisement is punishable by a lot of lawsuits! But you know I’m cool with getting a refund one time.

Hello Jasmine,

We appreciate your feedback. We would like to investigate this matter further are you able to provide the link or website that you are referring to? We are unable to locate an account that matches your name or email address, can you provide the member ID or email address used to create the account?

We look forward to your reply.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: May 26, 2020

I have been attempting to get this company to stop making charges to my account for several months. Each time they say they will credit the account and cancel any services. The following month they make additional charges to my account. I would highly recommend and and all people to not do business with this company because of their fraudulent activities.

Hi Larry,

Our records indicate that the account associated with your email address has been inactive for over 5 years. We are unable to find any recent contact via email or phone. We are happy to investigate the matter. We have sent you a email in regards to this issue and look forward to your response.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: May 14, 2020

These people sell falsified information. They have my childhood emails (from when I was like 8-12) linked to an old address with a fake phone number, claiming I am years older than I am and charge people for this information. Who knows what else they try to link to my name, I didn’t pay. I am a victim of identity theft and these people more than likely helped them steal bits of my information I’m sure. They need to be shut down. I have already contacted the FTC and intend on letting the FEDS know they sell children’s information. Absolutely disgusting. Don’t ever trust these people. Their commercials pretend like you can screen for child care through their ** system but it is all a HUGE LIE. DON'T PAY FOR FRAUDULENT INFORMATION.

Like I said they have my childhood emails linked to an old address with some ** phone number telling people I’m older than I actually am. It’s fraud. They are probably based in China making money off stupid people who buy into their lame commercials. Don’t do it guys. I am reporting them everywhere I can. Including the federal office in the morning. If you are looking for truthful information go to the damn courthouse and pay. Don’t waste money on these liars and for God's sake don’t leave your children with who these people tell you it’s okay to because they don’t give a **.

Hello Kendra,

We are unable to locate an account it appears as you stated you did not subscribe to BeenVerified. We would like to investigate where you obtained this information relating to your personal report.

Sometimes the information they collect is not always 100% correct. However, we can only work with the information provided to us within public data, since we do not create the information.

Lastly, as per our Terms of Service, you may not use BeenVerified to conduct Employment Background Checks, Tenant Screening or FCRA Related Background Checks. BeenVerified is not a consumer reporting agency as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and the information contained within our website has not been collected for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports, as defined in the FCRA. You may not use any of our information as a factor in establishing an individual's eligibility for personal credit, insurance or employment.

We would like to investigate this matter further in regards to the information found, please contact support@beenverified.com.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: May 3, 2020

I am so angry when company like this rip people off! You should even be thankful that when I did a sign up on 2/28/2020 that I paid! Vs $1 trail! And so then I chose only one month which I was charged of $22.86. If I wanted to do continuously then I would choose either 3 months or 6 or 12! AND IF 3 months my monthly would be less that $18! So why then I only chose one month, I continued to get charged of $22.86 for 4/1/2020 then 5/1/2020! Of $22.86 each month! The sad part is people are going through this covid stuff while you're taking money! Thank god I'm better now that I got to check! Thank god! I sent you email! I want both months refund!

Hello Michelle,

We want to first acknowledge your recovery with dealing with Covid-19 and we happy to hear of your well being. We understand your concerns regarding your subscription. When signing up for our unlimited background reports, the subscription will inform that it is auto-renewed. You can contact us to cancel at any time, and will not be billed for your next billing cycle. This also includes the trial, if we did not receive a request to cancel nor discontinue the auto renew you automatically renew to a paid subscription.

We did receive your email request for cancellation and refund, in which we processed promptly. Please be assured that your account was canceled. The refund was processed immediately on our end, however, please note that it may take up to 10 days for the refund to reflect on your bank statement depending on your financial institution.

If we can provide further assistance please feel free to contact support@beenverified.com.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: April 15, 2020

Extremely disappointed with BeenVerified. I utilized this company in an attempt to locate my brother who I haven't seen or heard from since my mother died 13 years ago. The only tidbit of info I received for my $23 was an old address where he temporarily lived 37 years ago after his release from a local prison holding facility. BeenVerified had no age, no birth date, no relatives, no phone or social info, no criminal or traffic records (he was indicted THREE times for DWI in the state of MD) & no aliases or email addresses.

This is really hard to believe since he lived his entire life in the same state! He had a great job for numerous years at the headquarters of the Baltimore County Public School system before he was incarcerated. After that, he held a few various jobs but didn't keep them for more than 2 or 3 years. Plus he had been married for several years & divorced. The report I received from BeenVerified was basically on a person who never really existed! Save your money & don't use this company. Their research is deplorable!

Hi Bonnie,

We want to offer our deepest condolences for your loss. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the results of your search. Your ability to locate a specific individual in our database can be dependent on a number of factors, such as the amount of information collected on that individual by various government and private agencies, and the laws regarding public information in the state where the individual resides. How current the information is can also depend on how often that person interacts with these kinds of agencies. Have they filled out a change of address form? Applied for a new credit card? Recently purchased a home? for example.

We have cancelled and issued a refund on your account, details of the refund will be emailed to the address we have on file. If we can be of further assistance please contact support@beenverified.com.

BeenVerified Customer Care

Original review: March 24, 2020

I got the free trial, apparently put my card number in for the 1$. Forgot to cancel and have been charged 26.89 for 5 mths!! Even at that, they should have charged me 14.86. I've never gotten a report for anyone. Didn't use it that I know of!!! I'm on disability and this is a disgrace. They know I've never used it!!!!

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for your feedback, however we do not provide a free trial we have a 7 day trial for $1.00 after the 7 days you will be automatically enrolled in our subscription if not cancelled prior. We inform on the sign up page that the subscription can be cancelled at any time by calling or emailing support our records do not indicate a prior request to cancel.

We have issued a refund on your account details about the refund has be emailed to the address we have on file.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact support at support@beenverified.com.

BeenVerified Company Information