3.5/5 (561 ratings)
Angie's List (Now Angi)

About Angie's List (Now Angi)

Angi helps homeowners find trusted local professionals for all their home improvement needs. Users can see honest reviews from other local homeowners for businesses in their area, then hire the ones they want directly through Angi’s website. The Happiness Guarantee protects homeowners if they aren’t satisfied. More than 150 million people have used Angi, according to the company’s website.

Pros

• Free to use
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Verified customer reviews
  • Financing options

Cons

• Complaints about calls and emails
  • Customer service by phone weekdays only

Bottom Line

Angi is an online company that matches homeowners with companies for home improvement services. Users can see verified customer reviews and get quotes to compare multiple contractors. A Happiness Guarantee protects customers.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angie's List (Now Angi)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angi?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

This has simply turned into a lead generation service. You have to give email and phone number and are hounded to death by every vendor. Would not recommend. Just look to local reviews for better sources.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Did not receive jobs in my categories, got few real jobs per month. Jobs I did get calls for were many times for excavations, I am a plumbing and air conditioning contractor, also had my ad in out of state contractor?

Original review: July 16, 2020

Totally unprofessional. The worst "Joe". Was horrible. I contacted them through your company recommendation, now the A/C tech was professional, he thought my thermostat was the issue, however after spending almost 700$ the A/C was not better. I was lied to by "Joe" on providing military discount. He promised to send my money $897.27 back on Thursday 6/9/20. On 6/16/20 I had to call again to remind him of my $897.27 payment, he was completely unprofessional and even called me a "girl" for complaining to him about him not keeping his word of honoring his 10% military discount. He stated since I had complained about him "lying" he was not giving me a discount. He was belligerent and the GIRL comment was said like a homophobic slur. I would not ever utilize that company again.

The initial 700 payment was for them to diagnose the A/C problem. This was a misdiagnose, stating that I would need (2) coils in my two Carrier units. Total cost would have been over $3100.00. I decided to get a second opinion. The company charged me $150.00 to tell me that the thermostat was wired wrong by JDL, in the bottom unit and the upstairs unit needed a fan. $350.00. So instead of 3100, I will pay 500$, plus the 700$ that I paid for thermostat that was wired into the heating unit, not the A/C....

Original review: July 7, 2020

They never answer the phone! They don’t care about your business. They just want to make an easy check from you every month. The leads are not accurate. It's really hard to Make money. I want to cancel and I can’t even get in touch with them for days!

Original review: June 28, 2020

I tried reviewing a company I used from AngiesList and they would not post my review. I provided all my info to prove I was a legitimate customer and they still did not post it. They must get paid by companies to filter reviews. Would not trust anything from their website nor will I use them in the future.

Original review: June 21, 2020

They are charging businesses to advertise with them and then sending the lead info to their new partner Handy. I used an incognito window to search my area and started getting solicited from handy and hadn’t asked for a quote.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Our company subscribed to Angie's List in Feb 2020. Paid over $8K for a year of advertising in advance. To date, it's been a 4-month nightmare. Terrible leads (we question whether they are legitimate) and poor service from AL. About 75% of the requests for service were for services our company does not provide, but AL could not figure out how to properly categorize our services or communicate accurate information with their members. We finally canceled our contract to put a stop to the nuisance leads. A complete waste of time and money! We DO NOT RECOMMEND doing business with Angie's List/Home Advisor. It was a terrible experience for our company. If we could give them a grade, it would be an "D-" as they were very responsive when it came selling us a worthless service.

Original review: May 29, 2020

We signed up with Angie's List on March of last year. For the first few months, we were receiving leads from counties we don't service nor advertise, and even from out of state (NY, where we don't even have a license for), so basically not valid leads. We called customer support many times to let them know, and every time they said they would fix it, but kept happening for another 3-4 months. After they finally changed it to advertise us just on Bergen County (area we DO service), we did receive a few leads from our area, but still mixed with a lot of other areas we don't service. More invalid leads than valid ones. Bottom line, absolutely not worth the money spent monthly.

This being said, we called Angie's List customer support one more time, but this time to cancel the service. They said that they could cancel it, but we would have to pay a significant early termination fee, which would make it a lot more expensive than just keeping it for the remainder of the year contract, if we were to grab at least a couple of jobs here and there. We kept it, but mentioned that we would NOT renew it for the following year.

We are also subscribed to Home Advisor, which we pay per lead instead of monthly like Angie's List, and at one point we started receiving leads on Home Advisor that said "Lead submitted via Angie's List". This is where we realized that Home Advisor and Angie’s List are owned by the same people, and we were paying twice for the same lead. We are paying Home Advisor for that lead that came in, but also Angie’s List monthly for the same lead that found us on their platform. We called customer support again, and they tried to explain how it worked and why we weren’t paying twice, but didn’t make sense at all.

At this point we asked again to cancel our contract, to which we were told one more time that it would be an early termination with a high fee. We were again convinced to keep it till the end of the contract. Once again we let them know that we would continue with the subscription until the end of the contract, but we would NOT renew it. This year we sent them an email asking when the contract was up, with the idea of NOT renewing.

They answered right away saying that our contract had been renewed for another year, after we specifically mentioned at least a couple of times that we didn’t want to renew. We told them that we didn’t want to renew, and that they knew that from last year, and they said they sent us an email regarding the renewal, and if we wanted to cancel the contract, we would have to pay an early termination fee. EARLY??? We told them last year that we didn’t want to renew!

We also told them we didn’t receive any emails from them, but they kept saying they did send it. We checked again the email address we have in their system, but couldn’t find anything. They then said they sent it to an email address we haven’t used in over a year, and we don’t even have in our Angie’s List platform. Even though we kept saying that that email address was not in use for over a year and it’s not the one they have on file, they kept insisting that the email was sent and because they didn’t receive a reply, they auto-renewed the contract. That is insane. AND THAT EMAIL WAS NEVER OPENED until they told us they sent it there.

We told them many times that it was ok to charge us for the couple of months of the running year, but to please cancel that contract with no early termination fees, but we always got a negative response. We can't say for sure we know how to ensure we can cancel after maximizing what we are committed to since if we cancel now we pay early termination fee, and if they send us a renewal email under the radar again and we don't catch it, you automatically are renewed.

Not surprisingly, if you Google Angie's List for complaints, you will see many negative reviews about their deceptive business practices and questionable validity of how they promote the "best" service providers.

I suppose what is most surprising of all though is, in these current unprecedented times where businesses, especially contractors that focus on residential/non-commercial customers who either have been financially impacted by the COVID crisis or are afraid and want to distance themselves from the risk of virus exposure,, Angie's list is taking a very hard line.

Insurance companies are voluntarily reducing premiums, small businesses are feeding front line essential workers, banks and credit cards are easing restrictions, but Angie's list management won't even return phone calls to if nothing else have a fair conversation. Calls to customer service who referred us to a manager and promised a call back followed by 5 voice mail messages were not even returned.

The salesman said you signed the contract and they will not deviate from it, even though we never knowingly opted into a renewal. Legality aside, in these times, is this the company you want to have your back or be your "trusted advisor?" There are two sides to every story, so I encourage you to Google "Angie’s List Complaints, Angie’s List Scam, Angie’s List Deceptive Sales Practices" to name a few searches. If you are a consumer I encourage you to do the same, including looking at consumer reports and phrases like "Is Angie's List Reputable?"

Original review: May 11, 2020

Don't be fooled by the legacy of the name. Now it's just a scam. No longer convenient and not even fair anymore for the businesses. Consumers have to provide personal information just to see anything and businesses have to pay for ads to get better fake reviews! Unapologetic. Pay to win in real life.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have never been treated with such disregard of professionalism or carelessness from a company in general. That's should say enough. Steer clear of Angie's list. They do not have any real substance to serve their clients with any actual services.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I contracted with A and P painting in Las Vegas, NV to paint the exterior of my house. I could not be any happier with the level of service and expertise from this company! I highly recommend this painting company.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have a cleaning business and have advertised with Angie's List for a few of years. COVID-19 shut my business down for the time being. When I contacted Angie's list they only offered a deferral if I extended my existing contract for another year. They said that their system would not allow it any other way. A billion dollar company would have an IT department that could make anything happen in their system that they wanted to. I don't even know if my company will be around in a couple months so committing for another year in services to delay two months payment would not make sense for my company. My only other option is to pay a 35% early termination fee. When I said I couldn't pay they they threatened to turn me into collection and pursue me personally. What a terrible company. I will never use them again and I encourage any company considering to read these reviews before signing.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I emailed Angie's List and let them know that I wan to cancel my account, I received an email that Mike was supposed to contact me regarding the cancellation process and no one did, 2 days later they took money out of my account after I clearly stated in an email that I did not authorize Angie's List to take any money from my account whatsoever. Angie's List is a FRAUDULENT COMPANY. DO NOT DO SERVICES WITH THIS COMPANY THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: April 23, 2020

The parent company of HomeAdviser is the same. This Angies list charges a minimum $300 per month and makes you sign up for a year. Then Angies list sends the lead to HomeAdvisor and as a business, you get billed again for the lead from Angies list. If you cancel because of lack of leads or quality leads from them, they charge you a early termination fee. $500. RIP OFFs. I was signed up with them for 9 months and had 10 leads, only 1 lead was a valid lead that was appropriate for my business. After complaining, they would not help at all, no comprise. This is basically a business leaching of the backs of regular business trying to make a living and trying to get quality leads. Instead, they take advantage of you.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I am a contractor on Angieslist. Been advertising with them since 2014...be careful when choosing contractors..they put a system in place to make money from new companies by offering them top pro spots which means when customers are looking for pros in pro search bar you are seeing new inexperienced contractors with little reviews..this is absolutely awful.

For a fee angie's List allows new contractors to go in front of senior companies with better reviews and experience..I been with angie's lst for 5 years in the electrical section and refuse to pay 3500 a year in advertising so I was bumped of the page by inferior companies..I'm in the pro directory. Which really isn't much advertising..lol..so basically when searching for pros the website says top four pros. Those companies aren't the at top....they just paid to be seen..better companies are in directory....I confronted them on this and finally was told this is what's happening. So be careful when choosing contractors. Angie's List is more concerned about their fees are as opposed to who's is completing your home project....what a scam...

Original review: April 9, 2020

Paradise Garage Door Review. I needed to do some repairs to a garage door (8x16). I also needed to replace the opener. Josh, the service tech, called on the scheduled day to say he was on his way, and showed up early. He had everything he needed to do the job with him. We discussed what would be done and how long it would take. He answered all my questions completely and to my satisfaction, and went to work. He did a great job and actually finished early. He programmed my new remotes and walked me thru the app. He cleaned up completely. And again answered my questions. I would definitely recommend Paradise to everyone, and have say that Josh was more than competent, professional, personable, and I would also highly recommend him.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I have been advertising with Angieslist for years now. I see many reviews here with the same problem. Once a very good company now being run into the ground since they were bought out by ServiceMagic AKA HomeAdvisor. I specifically asked to make changes to my "advertising agreement" contract. I was told to wait till it was time to renew. They auto renewed me. Now I am being told I have to pay penalties and fees on top of the money they have already taken without consent..

I told them to cancel me and send a refund, for the money I've been charged. They charged me for ending my contract early and charged me fees for their mistake.. The people I've talked to are just mean.. They have stock in the company so they want to get every penny they can out of you. No matter how evil they have to be. Now I am getting bad reviews. I am locked out of angies list but they still send to me notices that I have new people wanting work done. Watch out, They are not who you want to deal with.

Original review: March 25, 2020

This is a Horrible company!!! I contacted them to suspend my advertising during the COV-19 shutdown. I had full intentions of resuming once this is over. However, they want to charge a 35% cancelation fee on a contract I never renewed. I must add they are the ONLY company out of 10 that took this attitude. All the others were very understanding. Angie's List will NEVER get another dime from me!!!!

Original review: March 20, 2020

Had a new shower installed. The men that did the work had no regard for my home. It was a rather cold day the day they came and had to go outside a lot. Left the door open each time they went out. Was also damp outside and had no regard for my wood floors, tracking in damp footprints. Left a mess on the floor when they missed their trash can that was 2 ft away from the bathroom door.. Pieces of debris were on the hardwood floor and the area rug that was 6 ft away from the bathroom door. Glue was on the walls outside the shower area, never cleaned up. Had to cut a piece of baseboard and replace. Very poor cutting job. Does not match anymore.

Put a chip in the ceiling of the shower that I had to repair and repaint. A lot of the cutting was done in the driveway and never cleaned up. Lots of slivers of wood and wall surround all over the pavement and grass. I called Mad City and was told sorry about the mess. Nothing was ever done. Only was able to talk to some secretary. No one followed up as I was told would happen.

Original review: March 15, 2020

This company is completely fraudulence. Every CONTRACTOR dont use. They service is the more ugly decision I am never take. They stolen money for sign up contractor plus the fraudulence service. What they offer is horrible Angie List.

Original review: March 11, 2020

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANGIES LIST! They are complete fraud. They promise you calls meanwhile it's them who call you. They give you fake leads then want you to pay them thousands to get out of a contract that is completely fake.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Google started a link to reviews from the web on business pages. I clicked and found a fake hurtful review on Angie's List that is 7 years old. I contacted them several times. They will not removed it because it's been over 3 years. I researched angie's list and found the top 10 news stories are about their business ethics. They have a serious problem with business ethics. A restaurant who can do nothing about bad reviews, we have an invoice number and signed proposal for every job. Angie's list can look up the person who wrote review and with a tiny bit of detective work verify it is fake or not. But they have chosen that they would like to leave fake hurtful reviews forever.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

We have been a vendor for Angie's list for many, many years. Over the past several years we have noticed a shift in direction of the company and adjusted our advertising dollars accordingly. Today (Friday 2/28/20) I received an email regarding an auto renewal of our program on March 1st at 2:34 PM. I responded to our salesperson promptly and received an auto out of office reply. I phoned customer service (waited on hold for 26 minutes) to let them know that we had no intentions of renewing for another year and was told that there was nothing that could be done without talking to our salesperson. I will reach out to our credit card company on Monday to dispute the charge but just wanted to share with others how shady this business has become. What was a viable source for qualified leads years ago has completely lost its way. This company is an absolute joke and I would advise anyone and everyone to steer clear of advertising with them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Angieslist merged with HomeAdvisor whom is a competitor of ours. Since their merger my business rating has dropped to a 1 star on Angieslist. If that was not enough Angieslist is constantly posting a bad review that was false to begin with on the first page of Google. This sort of business practice can create a monopoly over all service related businesses. Last time I checked monopolizing was illegal.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I found Jon at RainTech Gutters (from Angie's List). He was very professional (gave an estimate and worked with me on a detail that I wanted with the gutter install). Excellent Work. Highly recommended.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Approached by Angie’s List the sales person promised me the sun and the moon. I knew this could not be true but if just a portion was things would be much better for my rising business. Well Angie’s List singlehandedly became a huge expense with no results but a major waste of time. Other contractors use the service to see what you charge, the bidding war aspect of the service guarantees the customer receives the worst quality service and the business (me) on Angie’s List has no incentive to do a good job because there is no profit margin. There are so many flaws built in this system it is on a mission of self destruction.

Angie’s List customer service and culture is horrid. Just try to terminate your contract. There is an underlined tone of threat that is implied and felt. Suddenly, like magic, your phone rings daily with customers that waste your time with unusual questions and delays to simply cancel a job at the last moment. Most strange. That is the result when you even breathe the words cancel. All the Angie’s List customers are go nowhere clients or fake calls. Angie’s List employees seem to be angry people. Run. Don’t walk. Run from this expensive and useless service. It is a crushing blow to a small company.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I contracted with Angieslist in 2018. The contract was for a year, roughly $330 a month. I didn't have the success I was hoping for. I tried to cancel when my year was up. After a dozen or so attempts at calling my account manager (only way to cancel...dumb) I only had a dozen voicemails and a few messages left. He did try and call back when I left messages and when I email he said I had to call him. I did and voicemail.

Thankfully my card they were withdrawing from was hacked. I got a new one. They all of the sudden became very good at sending emails and calling. Quite persistent actually. It's nice to know someone was there, just not where You would want them. Long story short, they threatened me with collections even after my multiple attempts to cancel. I settled for $330. I don't care so much about the amount as I do the lack of good business ethics shown. It's great if their advertising works for you, but moral and decent is not something I would pin on Angieslist.com

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I just discovered that we have fake negative reviews, for our company, on services we have never performed, ever! There is no way to contest these. We are not an auto repair shop and the client reviews are not people we ever sold anything to. There is literally no one to talk to in resolving this. We have a pristine record everywhere else online, but here. It's nuts. In fact, every detail about our company is wrong there...just the name is correct. It looks like someone made a fake account here just to try to trash us.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I have been advertising on AL for years, they increase my rates every year (contract). When you search for my company the only results that come up are my competitors. They apparently switched their billing company so last month we spent hours across several days, they made a duplicate account and charged my monthly fee ($1490). This month they had the same problem, I have been talking to them on the phone and emailing them for weeks. They could not resolve the problem and locked me out of my account. Clown show. An absolute waste of money for any advertiser. AL was a good idea when it came out but was sold and now being ** out. Google reviews, Yelp.... Not AL.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Angie's List is nothing more than a Pyramid and advertising website that in contrast to their claim, do not vet or pre-qualify any contractors. I contacted one of their recommended contractors and was contacted by a technician after an hour. He showed up for his appointment the following day about thirty minutes late and tried to diagnose the problem with my dishwasher. Without proper testing he declared that control panel was defective. He then charged me what I thought was totally unreasonable and said he would get the part from local store and will be back. That was six days ago.

This afternoon, Kelly at Angie's list called me and after hearing my complaint boldly placed the blame on the contractor claiming that they are just an advertising company and accepts no responsibility for the contractors they recommend. Imagine that.... Beware before you use this company. In my view, Angie's list is not a reliable site for employing ANY genuine services and you are liable to get a carpet cleaner to repair your television.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Company Information