Angie's List (Now Angi)

Angie's List (Now Angi)
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Angie's List (Now Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angie's List (Now Angi)?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angi?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Through Angie's List's free service, I found an A-rated appliance repair for my washer and refrigerator. I had made an appointment when perhaps an hour later I received a call from a man who misrepresented himself as a technician working for the A-rated competitor I had just hired as such gained access to my home. He claimed that dispatch was sending him earlier because he was in the area. He also overcharged and did not finish the repairs correctly, but that was not something I knew until the legitimate repair service arrived at my house.

I have turned this case over to the Nevada Attorney General's office, to investigate the business practices of Tony **, who at the time was a C-rated contractor on Angie's List. Unwittingly, Angie's List gives crooks like Tony ** the contact information of potential victims and the pretense to use it. They have since removed this particular crook from their database of "Trusted Partners," but upon looking into it I found 10 prior bad reviews on Tony ** from other Angie's List users. Evidently, it takes Angie's List a year or so to catch up on current events and not refer the Tony ** of the world to consumers.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

This Angie's List scam only cares about making money. Big scam off of the misery of others. No ethics, no accountability. Anyone can do whatever they want in the internet with not accountability at all like Angie's List.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I am unhappy that 1) to see possible service providers, I must provide my phone number and 2) that Angie's List apparently immediately provide those numbers to service providers resulting in 3) unsolicited calls from the providers. Further, there appears to be no way to complain with Angie's List about this practice. That's why I sought out this web site. Prior to 8:00 am today, I decided to look at who cleaned gutters in my area. Most of those identified did not clean gutters but sold replacement gutters or gutter covers. I decided that was a wasted search. At 8:04 am, I got a phone call from a salesperson with one of the companies on Angie's List. I had a subscription to Angie's List back when you had to pay for them. I'd stopped using it but a painter who had done a good job for us asked if I would provide a review. I joined again to do so. I'm once again DONE with Angie's List. I don't think it engages in good consumer practices.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I hired some movers that were recommended by Angie's List. They stole from me and then refused to answer my calls. When I asked Angie's List to get involved they said they'd be happy to contact the company I'd hired...if I became a member. Which is $100/year. I asked them why they advertised companies if they weren't going to take responsibility for the people they vouch for. They shrugged their shoulders and reminded me they'd be happy to contact the company I hired for $100. I am disabled and I rely on the integrity of places like Angie's List to recommend trustworthy companies. Several police reports, calls to UTC, and threats later I finally have my items back. No thanks to Angie's List. Stay FAR away from these people.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This is the least customer-friendly company I have ever worked with in 30+ years of buying advertising. For over 10 years I have been fed a constant stream of crap from a revolving door of account reps about how their latest and greatest new program was going to be fantastic, revolutionize the market place, and result in more leads. Instead, leads have gone down and cost have gone up way beyond simple ordinary rate of inflation or the increase in "paying" members. Even though advertising businesses provide the bulk of the revenue for them and are the backbone in which they rest upon, they treat us like marks, assuming because we are small business owners we must be ignorant of best and current business practices.

This is not sour grapes on our part either - we actually are a well-rated company on Angie's List. But we are second class citizens with few rights compared to the reviewers. Our inability to combat false or terms violating policies is ridiculous. And curiously enough, how they have used fear as a sales tactic, telling advertisers that they will lose grandfathered or bulk pricing rates if they hold off on renewing all or part of their contracts is reminiscent of the Yellow Page bullying that occurred in times past. If we treated our customers the way Angie's List treats us, we would be a ZERO star rated company. This is a 2 star review overall because leads are still provided, albeit at a very costly rate comparatively. And much, much fewer for the dollar than in the past.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

All I can say is stay away!!!! They scam people with lies saying they're going to help you get jobs. They charge me 300$ for a month and nothing. Their excuse was I didn’t have enough reviews!!! Really!!! They Tricked you saying you can cancel anytime and then when you try to cancel they said you have a 1 yr contract. SCAMMERS!!!! ** Treasea account manager the worst liar ever!!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The "list" that Angie Hicks became famous for is a thing of the past and never to be repeated again. Service Magic, a referral service that had long been in the business of selling leads to service providers, hijacked her list and began pedaling the names of those service providers to consumers. But as time would have it, Service Magic re-invented itself as Home Advisor and hit the scene with massive exposure advertising FREE use of their services to consumers. This was a direct affront to Angie's List and paying members soon quit paying because Home Advisor supposedly provided the same services for free. In her weakened state, Angie Hicks soon realized that it was impossible to maintain her exclusive model for connecting consumers with quality service providers so with the "handwriting on the wall", Home Advisor bought out Angie's List for a very tidy sum in May 2017.

They immediately began transforming the original Angie's List model into the Home Advisor model that was free to consumers but very costly to service providers through the old pay-per-lead method. However, the pay-per-lead method destroyed the very thing that made Angie's List unique and wildly successful to both consumers and service providers. We have been on Angie's List through all of this (15 years or so) and it pains me to say it is only a shell of what it once was. Consumers are groomed to "trust" Angie's List to connect them with quality service providers but are often terribly disappointed with the results.

Service providers now have to pay outrageous dollars just to get a lead whether it results in a job or not. There is MUCH more that we can say about these things but time and space do not permit. IMO, it is extraordinarily sad to see Angie Hicks promoting Angie's List on TV when it is nothing at all like the list she started 20 years ago. No doubt, Home Advisor required the use of her face and endorsement as part of the purchase agreement. In a sense, Angie Hicks sold her soul.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Credit card charged without permission twice so far. But I got a message from them telling me my payment did not go through, no kidding, while I was in the hospital having surgery, Angieslist starts billing me as if I had an account set up already, I knew I should not have furnished my card # until it was done not before. I was looking into Angieslist and talked to a sales guy who could not finish my account and make a website etc.

I get a message that I have not checked in with my website and they alleged I had customers trying to reach me. My girlfriend looked at what they said was my website and it had my name with a phone number that is not mine, funny they can get the correct # regarding my paying them but placing my ad they used some number not mine and started billing me for what is my name, the wrong phone number and no customer reviews and rated NA while every one else had colorful site with actual phone numbers glowing reviews and rated A. Why would anyone call my ad compared to theirs and if they did they would never reach me anyways. I been hit with over $700 bucks of fees for nothing and now they been ignoring me 2 weeks to rectify this situation.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Our driveway was getting old and needed to be replaced. Korpaczewski Asphalt, Inc. provided us with a very competitive bid, explained in detail what they were going to do, and did exactly that. Communication throughout the project was excellent, and the finished product was exactly what we had hoped for. Timing was exactly as promised. Thank you, John and crew!

Hans-Peter

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

We joined Angie's List as a provider over 6 months ago. When they wanted us to sign up they made all types of promises on how they will refer clients. To date we have not been able to recoup our investment. We have followed their recommendations getting great reviews and they promised to widen the area..still nothing! Highly recommend if you want to try them...do it month to month otherwise a losing proposition.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I made the biggest mistake and extremely costly; over $30,000.00, using Angie's List to find a reputable contractor. Angie's List boasts checking out the companies it recommends on the site. There are great customer reviews. I have tried to contact Angie's List to let them know about the horrible company I used through Angie's list. Everlast Construction is the worst company. Please do not use them. I can show photos of a finished product that does not look professional at all.

It took 6 months to complete what I was told would most likely take one month. I dealt with a very inexperienced and rude project manager who lied to me constantly. The workers they use are contracted and do not actually work for the company but are hired at a very low pay according to one of the workers I spoke to who actually understood English, to complete the job once the "project manager" gets the contract signed and the money!!! Some days the workers did not show and no one informed us whether they were coming or not and the workmanship was unbelievably the worst. Angie's List never responded when I wrote to complain and let them know about Everlast Construction the company that Angie's List is recommending to the public.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I'm an inground pool owner. My story involves 2 contractors... Bob, owner of Prestige Pools and Oscar, owner of Oscar's Pool Service. In 2017 Bob's company was hired to re-marcite and correct my pool's walls and floor finish which felt more like 60-grit sandpaper. Bob's company subbed out the corrective re-marcite work... which also failed by startup of the 2018 season. Bob and his company (Prestige Pools) stepped up and contracted to have this faulty Marcite app corrected. 2019 is where Oscar's Pool Service comes in. I could not be more pleased with Oscar and his crew. To a man they were professional, knowledgeable, courteous and methodical in their approach to correcting my pool's faulty finish. In closing, I would strongly recommend both companies. They both are stand-up ethical business entities that operate with a sense of fairness and integrity doing their work as though they were doing it for themselves.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

My name is Kenneth **. On 9-6-2019 I (a disabled/retired 67 year old} needed a plumber so I went on AngiesList and Benjamin Franklin contacted me and said it would be a $57.00 service charge to come out but would not charge a service charge if I let them do the repair, so they sent out a Bill **. I have a one handle shower control and the shower was dripping, so I had went to Lowes and purchased the repair cartridge for $34.00 but could not get the handle off, so in comes Bill who can not get it off so he takes a saw and cuts it off.

He installed my new cartridge (which I had purchased) but then takes the front off the cartridge and said he was adjusting the temperature of the water. He then charged me $243.96 and said if I could not find another handle let him know and he would see what he could do and left my home. I went to three plumbing place to find another handle for $26.00 and I installed it with allen screw that came with the handle but the shower would not turn off because Bill had damaged it. I went back to Lowes and got another one and installed it myself and it now works fine. Benjamin Franklin plumber is a ripoff.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

When is the last time you met a pleasant repairman who solved the problem, later sent you a thank-you email for using his company and spent extra time explaining the repair needed...Very knowledgeable. Very pleasant experience. I’ll be using Kenny to maintain my residential elevator in the future. Riseaboveelevator.com.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I Recently closed my plumbing company due to a auto accident. I reached out to Angie's to remove my profile since I did not want any affiliation with their company, since their service really is piss poor anyway. To my surprise they would not remove my profile, state that my plumbing company is closed. Just wanna give a warning to other contractors not to waste your time or money with these guys. Good Luck.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Royalty Deck Restoration was recommended by Angie's list, however, this provider has failed to complete the job as contracted for and after repeated calls has failed to come back as promised. Royalty Deck quoted a price for 2 coats on all horizontal surfaces. When I requested a better quality stain than they use I was presented with a $700 up charge, bringing the total cost to $3,750. They put only 1 coat of stain on the 3 decks and only offered to refund $200 for not providing the 2nd coat (stated manufacturer recommended 1 coat).

After the deck dried it was clear that numerous areas were not adequately covered and I called Erik Land the owner to apply the 2nd coat as quoted. Promised to come out to look at it, didn't show. Called again, promised again and no show. Called and left a message and no response. I am considering legal action and would warn against using this company. Angie's List should remove them from their site. DO NOT USE ROYALTY DECK RESTORATION!!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

We just had Chuck It come this morning to clean out after a flood in our basement. Health and Matt did a fantastic job, very professional and fast workers. I would highly recommend this company for any clean out needs that you have. There were no hidden fees in the quoted price given to us. We would not hesitate to hire them again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I recently reopened my father's business after he passed. So Angie's List reached out with a promise of using their name recognition to help drive business my way. Once I signed up I was dumped to a client success representative. After three weeks I still hadn't had a orientation call to show me how to properly use the program. I then asked to just cancel me out since they haven't done anything. I was told I locked into a year long contract (which I was never told about) and it would cost me 35% of that to cancel even thought they broke the agreement. I asked for a supervisor and after him trying to play hardball and him even threatening to just take the cancellation fee out of my account since they had an EFT agreement (which I stated on a record line that I was revoking and any further EFT attempts would be treated as theft.) We came to an agreement.

Once we agreed he said a new client success representative would call that day or the next. Well a week went by no contact so I call the supervisor back. 15 min later I get a call from my new client success representative. I told him I wanted to hear from the supervisor not him so he finally called me and yet again apologized for their incompetence. I told him no I was just cancelling. He said he would call me tomorrow to give me the cancellation info. He then waited until 5pm the next day to tell me they would waive the cancellation fee and cancel the contract. But yet he wait until that time so the next EFT would be withdrawn. At this point the supervisor will not return my calls and they have stolen money from me.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Molyneaux carpet in Oakmont provided courteous and prompt experience for my carpet ordering experience - call back for installation and working around my personal schedule was also seamless. Awaiting installation and hope it is also well done.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

As a newly established company I thought Angie’s List could help get my name out there...boy was I wrong! After naively signing a 1 year contract for $400 per month I quickly realized it was a mistake. I did not receive one single job from Angie’s List in the entire year I advertised with them! Please don’t make the same mistake I did! Do your research! Try Thumbtack or Yelp instead...way less money and daily leads!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Please feel free to reach out to me at **. I signed up as a roofing/remodeling company contractor with Angie’s List in March! I received a total of 9 leads of which 4 were fake unverified leads that I could not even reach. The other 5 were just window shopping. I was only able to schedule 3 out of the 5 for an appointment. 2 were not actually ready to do anything, just wanted quotes and only 1 may potentially be a customer. I have reached out to Angie’s List with my disappointment and received 0 acknowledgement from the Angie’s List team. Once they sign you up for a year then instead of trying to help or work something out, the only communication I receive is more junk advertisement attempts to get more money from me. Be careful, I would stay clear of this company. Complete waste of time and money! ** In Naples Florida.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Mike from Noel Well and Pump was awesome! I needed a water tank installed for the sale of my parents home which was vacant and I live out of state. He called me and I explained my situation, he sent his crew there within a few hours it was complete. He was so helpful and his pricing was $200 less than another quote I received. He also helped me find someone to test my septic tank also needed for closing. I saved ANOTHER $950 with his recommendation. I highly recommend this company!! FAST, REASONABLE AND PROFESSIONAL!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Don't waste your hard money with Liars and Losers. No leads, no customers and it is a 12 months contract. Don't sign anything from them. They are owned by HomeAdvisor that is the same owner of the old leads scammers ServiceMagic. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My Refrigerator Ice Maker went out over the Labor Day weekend 2019. I contacted All American Appliance Repair, St. Louis. The Technician (Andrew) called before he came. Was all business. Troubleshot and then fixed the Ice Maker and was out of here. I was very impressed and if the need arose, would use them again. Robert **, Capt, USAF (retired)

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

If you started on Angie's List 10 years ago you probably doing well, but these days you will be scared into 12m contract with so many promises and false information. They didn't bother to make sure my whole account was correctly set up including the area of service. Once you sign, they disappear, you will try to contact them and nobody replies. I have about 20 emails to my "success manager" trying to reach him. He will say I will follow up with you by the end of today and then NEVER does. And will take 3, 4 days of me trying to get to him in order to do anything. It was absolute PAIN to just set the account right. I have never had as bad of experience as this one with any service provider. If I treated my customers like that I would lose my business. Absolute scam!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Our "company" is listed on AWFUL Angies List. THIS IS NOT OUR COMPANY DESCRIPTION LISTED ON AWFUL ANGIE. If you actually go to our website, it actually tells you about our company. It is not our company, our company is not a person. Our company is listed on Angies list as a contractor and our company is not a person. WE ARE NOT A PERSON. They refuse to remove this listing. AWFUL ANGIES is messing with our companies image & they refuse to fix it. There is NO customer service. They should not exist. They SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I’ve been an Angie's List pro for about 2 months. Even though I was running my business on my own for a while I decided to stop due to a family emergency. I attempted to cancel my subscription and they are trying to charge me $1,000+ for a service I no longer need and THIS WAS NEVER DISCUSSED ON MY INITIAL SIGN UP. They never tell you this upfront! It’s either that or continue to pay 300.00 a month for a business I no longer have and advertisement they are NO LONGER PROVIDING!

If I knew this from the very beginning I would not have signed up and would have went with another lead generating company. Things happen with small business but Angie's List gives you this false pretense when signing up and never discuss certain topics. I was told my subscription will give me about 9-15 leads per month, LIES! I’ve only receive 3 leads this past 2 MONTHS, and had only secured 1 client because the other 2 didn’t answer the phone or respond back to my messages! If your thinking about signing up, DONT. Not unless your 100% positive that nothing in this world will ever happen to you in 12 months.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

The person who placed tile in my kitchen had a 5-star rating on Angie's List. The tile work itself was fine. The problem came when he said the codes had changed regarding the microwave over stove distance required. He said the cabinets needed to be raised to meet today's code & assured us he could do the work. Silly me. I thought I could expect he actually knew what he was doing. He did not.

He didn't bother to measure properly & left the cabinets uneven & noticeably so in a several places. In addition, he didn't allow enough room above our refrigerator to place a taller one than was there at the time. He also had to remove all the molding over the cabinets leaving them looking obviously unfinished at the top. Bottom line, we paid him $1000 we hadn't budgeted for the cabinet debacle & ultimately had to bring in professional cabinet installers to correct all the problems he caused that cost us an additional $3900!! Going forward I advise everyone to go with word of mouth from multiple people or from your own experience ONLY before trusting any trades person. Definitely, do not trust this website to be accurate!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I signed up for an account to expand my reach as a handyman. What happened next was absolutely bizarre. I was repeatedly emailed and called with the offer of becoming a certified member of AngiesList. Then on the second day I had a fake lead reach out to me and offer me a job only to say no when they found out I wasn't certified. When I did some digging on the number it was a burner number and doesn't exist any more. I'm not sure what law that breaks but the entire business needs to be looked over. My account still isn't showing in search because I haven't paid to play.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

This is the first time I have ever had someone clean my house as I have always cleaned my house, and I am know 81 yrs. old. These ladies really did a fantastic job, I am so pleased with them & I am now going to have them come once a month to clean. I was so surprised that they even cleaned the shower walls & dusted the blinds too! Vacuumed the rugs & mopped all the tile floors, dusted everything in the house & polished the furniture too. I really recommend these ladies, I am sure you would be pleased with them, as I always thought I was a good housekeeper & very picky too. So if you are in need of having someone clean you house I certainly recommend them. Call: Grace.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Company Information