1.45/5

495 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have hired many wonderful contractors through AngiesList.com The problem is, it has now become IMPOSSIBLE for me to reach someone at Angie’s List. I posted a review for the wrong contractor and I asked Angie’s List to remove it using the online contact form. The review had not been removed after two weeks so I called them. Every option I choose in the automated system results in this message: "It appears your membership plan does not include phone support". I am still a PAYING subscriber. I am NOT on the FREE plan. I'm only trying to HELP THEM with a contractor review! How do they expect to stay in business with this lack of customer service?

Original review: April 16, 2019

Angie’s List took a customer that we used to build our fence. They gave one of the highest ratings. A month ago we had a tree that fell on the fence and I try to approach the owner of the fencing company. We had an emergency situation, and like always, the owner never calls back. I finally did reach the owner and he decided to rip me and call me every name in the book the chlorine ** word and tell me to ** off and that he was putting the company up for sale.

He made a large sum of money off us and our fence is destroyed. I noticed on the folder of the company, that they were rated on Angie’s List. If you think Angie’s List is the golden company to base your decision to use a company, I’d think twice with utilizing anything on Angie’s List. I think people better very much be careful on how they select a business just because it’s on Angie’s List because I do not believe they follow up with their customers and they follow up only when they want to. This company doesn’t even allow you to leave messages or even to contact customer service. Maybe that was my first sign both companies have extremely poor customer service and that’s probably the kind of company is Angie’s List takes.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I should have gone with my gut and ran from the salesperson when I first called them. We are a new independent painting company and Angie's List made it sound so easy to get advertising. They never followed up with our prior customers that we contacted and said Angie's List would be calling for a reference. Clients never got calls. AL then told us to reach out directly to our customers via app and have them submit ratings. The same person was published twice and the other 4 who replied never showed. AL said they would do a special ad for us because after 2 weeks, I was done with them and wanted to cancel. So, we worked for hours on a Friday to ensure the ad was displayed over the weekend. I sent them "approved" emails because their automated ad approval service was down.

I get emails on Monday saying I needed to approve the ads, which I figured was just their approval service catching up and I didn't need to approve because I sent the emails. Turns out the ads never ran over the weekend - or at all. I finally cancelled and changed my payment method to a pre-paid debit card, knowing that I was going to fight paying $1500 for 3 weeks of "ads" from them. When the automated payments for cancelling did not go through the pre-paid card, they went back to my initial payment method (debit card) and took the full amount!! I lodged a complaint with my bank, who, after a 90 day investigation, agreed that the money was taken "in Error". Now I need to figure how to to fight them to stop collections action. I refuse to pay $1500 for nothing. Any recommendations are welcome.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Canceled with them years ago because of pricing issues and them telling me I could cancel at any time. Not true, I had to pay for the rest of the year. That was the first of multiple burns. They have been trying to get me back since. Because I said to the salesperson “I heard your proposition but I’m not ready to make a move today, I will think about.” The salesperson literally said have a nice day and hung up on me, mid sentence. Are you kidding me? I could go on for days about our experience with them but this is exactly why we won’t do business with them and will not. Totally unprofessional. Don’t fall for the hype. It is false. They don’t give a ** about you or your company doing well.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I signed up my service company for a one year advertising contract that includes a profile, web ads and access to their call center for prospective clients. A few of our regular clients found us via Angie's List and have developed a trusted relationship with us. However for the amount I invested in AL "special advertising package" which consist of direct advertisement and leads being directed to a call center. The results are not worth my investment. Most leads never respond to my messages, do not take or return my calls, have a "voicemail that is not set up", a BS email address they do not check, in brief: I wonder if AL does not generate their fake leads since they are so many of them.

I have never seen my written advertisement while searching incognito. Operating a service company, I am often on the road and want to avoid having to pick up calls while driving. I was hoping that paying AL to receive calls from consumers would help leads avoid wasting their time shopping around and be redirected to my phone by a live representative, with a pleasant attitude, etc. Instead most lose their patience being re-routed by a computer with an automatic robot-voice, their calls being dropped, or even they be redirected to my competition! They end up treating me very badly when I finally manage my way to the nearest parking lot and take or return their call. VERY frustrating to invest my hard earned money for better customer experience and not even been able to pick up the pieces and bring consumers to trust that I do honest business and I want the best for them!

Each time I called to get help from AL Business Center, I was told 2 things:

- get more reviews (most of our clients are long terms, I don't bother them with repetitively asking for reviews, they've done it for us once and that's enough).

- increase my advertising investment in AL (yeah, right!)

I don't think so! Angie's List: you and your sister company HomeAdvisor are on my naughty list!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: April 11, 2019

As a business owner, I am overwhelmingly disappointed in Angie’s List. The cost of doing business with them is prohibitively expensive and does not increase business in equal fashion. When it becomes apparent that the payoff is just not materializing there is no way to absolve the contract. I was told that I could cancel my contract after three months but have now been inform that I must pay an early termination fee. It would have been enlightening to know that little tidbit upfront.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Red Baron Enterprises was able to provide an experienced plumber to remove and install a hot water heater 1 day after I called them. They pulled a permit the same day the work was being done and arranged for the City inspection. The plumber was on time and took about one hour to remove and install the hot water heater. The City Inspector came a few days later and passed the inspection and said the work was “expertly done”. I have used Red Baron Enterprises several times and consider them my “handymen”. I highly recommend Red Baron Enterprises!

Original review: April 7, 2019

Formerly, you could go to Angie's List and find reviews of providers. Now they ask you a series of meaningless questions which have little to do with what you want, which always ends in demanding your personal information. None of it is useful to them or anyone about helping you. It is designed to sell your information or find other ways to harass you. I can't even get an idea of what electricians are out there and what people think of them because I am expected to come up with a project (mostly a stupid project that I would never need), answer meaningless questions that are not useful to finding the provider you need, and then provide your address and phone number. I am better off going to nextdoor.com and asking my neighbors who they like. Angie's List is now a completely useless service, that is not worth accessing for any reason. I don't know who would be stupid enough to attempt to use them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

HVAC Specialists was listed. I can't rate it because he never showed up. I emailed Angie's List and Sidney called within 5 minutes of my inquiry. We set an appointment for him to clean out the vents. I waited for his arrival, never showed and never called. I can't believe he is listed on the website. Very disappointed and won't be using Angie's List again.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My credit card co. informed that Angie's List had been "automatically renewing" my original membership fee for the last few years. I never signed up for this. I only got an alert from my card co. because the latest charge was placed an old credit card that I reported lost. I got no help when I contacted Angie's List at at three different numbers I looked up. Everything was recorded voice. Finally, I got a message (recorded) that my "membership plan did not support phone service"! So what exactly does the money they have been charging me for several years (I know it's my fault for not catching this earlier)? Trying to cancel my "membership" has been one long (two hours!!!) frustrating mess. I finally had to block/contest the charge with my card co. Not happy.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was only in the process of looking for a house cleaner to see what was available in my area and get an idea of the cost. I wasn't interested in actually making contact with any company yet. The day after I signed up I get awoken by a call from a woman with a cleaning service asking for me by name and was I interested in house cleaning services. How dare they give out my phone number and name to anyone! It should be up to ME to contact the companies when I'm ready and NOT the other way around!!! Now I'm afraid I'm going to be deluged with calls from cleaning services, as if I don't already have enough trouble with robocalls. Unless you want your info given out, DON'T sign up!

Original review: March 21, 2019

Joe was such a great help to me and very professional and on time for appointment. Great company. My family wants to thank you. We are so happy with our new driveway. It is amazing and all our neighbors are getting ready to do their driveway too.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My only option was a 300.00 per month yearly contract to advertise my business on Angie's List. I've currently experienced 3 weeks with it. The advertising fails with lack of information. Trying to communicate with a prospective client is to difficult through the process. The prospective clients don't know how to hire a service provider and the Angie's List system doesn't help them as it should. Basically Angie's List is just a phone book listing that cost me 300.00 a month with a year contract. If and I am going to break it it is going to cost me 65% of the year long contract. 2,340.00 is what I have to pay for the worst advertising I've ever experienced.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Bad on me for not paying attention to my bank statements that subtracted money for this subscription for many years after I ever used it. This year, though, I noticed the charge and attempted to cancel through the website. Impossible, without first agreeing to legal terms that would have taken 2 hours to read. I send an email to them. No response. I call and they try to talk me out of canceling and try and get me to go on the site and agree to the "terms." I say no and they finally agree to "put me on do not renew." Even though I had not used their services since I was charged, they refused to refund me for the charge even though I had not used this service in many years. Totally outrageous. Again, my fault for stupidly signing up in the first place and not paying attention over the years, but for a company ostensibly concerned with "customer service" - this is abysmal.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I called Garage Door Services (1.877.469.1416) for an inexpensive "tune-up" featured by Angie's. The salesman gave me a terrifying story about how my spring was about to break and could kill someone or wreck a car. He replaced it for $1000. At the end, after he collected my check, he told me my original spring was really powerful, which totally argued against replacement. I have had to have two companies come to work on my garage door since then. Each said that my "new spring" was a cheap product you could buy at Home Depot. They said I shouldn't have paid more than $300. They both strongly suggested that I notify Angie's. Not sure how to do that, but I can say for sure I will never rely on Angie's List again, for anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Mold First Responders recommendation: After having been ill with lung problems for over a year and having had tests done, a specialist said I was exposed to mold. I did not see or smell it but it was there in my kitchen ceiling for a number of years after the tenant above me flooded her kitchen with water from the heating system. First, I had mold testing done by an independent company to confirm the mold. Mold First Responders was the first name on the list their clients had great success with. I phoned Mold First Responders and a person actually answered the phone and explained in detail what they do. I was able to arrange a very early morning appointment for my convenience and Luis and his coworker arrived at exactly the time designated.

They set up their equipment, very carefully covered my floors, rugs, furniture, packed boxes and doorways with protective materials and then came back to remove the mold from the ceiling and walls with microbial cleaner/scrubber. They continued to monitor the rooms for 3 additional days to ensure all the mold spores were removed. I received very detailed information over the phone as to the process they would use and when Luis came, he gave me verbal details of what would be done. I received a comprehensive written estimate with every item listed that would be used during the process. There were no surprises or hidden costs at the end. What was quoted was what I paid.

The men were polite and respectful and true to their word. They showed each day at the time agreed upon and left my home in spotless condition. They deliver what they promise – they do it right and do it once. I rehired the original company to retest the work done and now have a house that’s safe to live in and could be sold without issue. I also had them demo the ceiling in the bathroom where they removed seven bags of plaster, wood and debris. All ceiling plaster, wall plaster and pine paneling was removed from my property before they left. My home is now safe for me to live in. Thanks to Mold First Responders. I give my highest recommendation to this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I own Frasure Painting in Brunswick, Ohio. 1 month ago my son asked me, "Dad how do you get your work?" We were busy at that time and I just mentioned to him from all over the place. He then took it upon himself to start looking for our business on line. He then said, "Dad are you on Angie’s List," I replied yes. Once again never gave it a thought. He then said, "Daddy I found you." At that point he pulled our company up and was reviewing it. He then said, "Dad why is your business listing phone number different than the number we call you to get ahold of you." This got my attention!!! I then took a look at my profile.

When I took a look at my profile, I had all my reviews from the last 10 years. We have been a A company for all of those years. The one thing that I seen that was very different was the number that was listed under my business contact information was not mine. Instead a number that was a general number that if you called sounded something like, "Welcome to Angie’s List we are now connecting you to your service provided." Ok boys and girls buckle up for this one. Try not to get lost. Like I said before, my son found this out and was calling from his personal phone number. Not our business phone. He was acting on his own. He’s no dummy. He just called and he stated, "Daddy I left my call back number. Daddy am I in trouble?" I said, "No little buddy. Let’s see what happens."

The very next morning my Son had several calls stating, "We see you need a paint estimate." WHAT??? He was looking at my company. How in the world were these other companies getting my lead? I then took it upon myself to call one of the voice mails that he received. A older man answered the phone with his company name. I then calmly tried to explain the reason of my call. The man listened to me and said he had been paying Home Advisor a certain amount for each lead and he got my son’s information from them.

Are you guys still with me in this?? This poor guy was getting a fake lead and being charged from my son's phone call to check out his Daddy’s page on Angie’s List. After a 10 minute conversation with the gentleman he stated to me that he already was charged $350 for the month for incoming leads. I felt so bad for him, due to he told me he was a retired guy trying to supplement his cost of health insurance. He then stated he was canceling his membership with Home Advisor. We hung up the phone and I could believe what happens.

After further thought, and 10 years of me supporting the practice of Angie’s List I regret I will be leaving them, and as far as the constant phone calls from the Angie’s List parenting company Home Advisor please quit calling me 10 times a day from different numbers to try and confuse me. I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH EITHER OF YOU SCAM ARTIST COMPANIES!!! I hope you hard working entrepreneurs have learned something from this post!! Beat the streets, gain relationships by doing great work! Be a man of your word, show up on time! Last but not least Good Luck to you!!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Received email noting charge for membership, I signed up a couple of years ago but never really made use of the service. I called the phone number on my emailed receipt and was disconnected after a recording stated my "membership does not include phone support." I also searched online for other phone numbers and got the same greeting then disconnect. (Noting to log on and send a message.) I did send a message and I did receive a timely response. AngiesList doesn't have an option to speak with someone about your membership, unless you have a Gold membership. I don't want to do business with any company that cannot take my phone call.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Hello I am a paying member of HomeAdvisor and a listed non-paying member of AngiesList. The news is out HomeAdvisor bought AngiesList. Let's start by saying HomeAdvisor was a great Lead service until they bought AngiesList. It seems like the leads are now low quality and the service is not what it was before. The cost of leads has doubled. Use to be $6-27 a lead now its $12-$54+. I have been with homeAdvisor since they were ServiceMagic. Now Customers try to contact me thru AngiesList. Both company's are screwed up now. Both companies are money hungry. I not happy with either company. I recommend take some classes and build your own website save your money. I'm fixing to cancel my membership. Not worth the money. Both are garbage now for the paying business.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I just found out that there was a class action lawsuit on AngiesList. I was really screwed over by AngiesList 4 years ago when I chose a contractor on their list because they gave him A plus ratings. He did not have a valid contractor's license, he had had a LLC license (which inhibits him from doing more than a 1000 dollars of work at a time) that had expired the year prior. All of Angies' information on this guy was false. I paid this guy $15,000.00 and he ruined my kitchen, I filed a claim with the ROC in AZ and they determined that he needed to give me my money back but he did not. They could not help further because he did not have a license, he is now in jail for fraud and drug charges unrelated to my case.

I still have a really icky kitchen. He told me I needed a new main breaker box which I did not, charged me 1800 dollars, did not get a permit and put is in wrong and it had to be redone. I appealed to AngiesList regarding this and they told me I should have checked to see if his contractors license was real and it was my fault. They took no responsibility and gave me no help. I went on Channel 12 On Your Side here in AZ. I would love to join a class action lawsuit against them!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We are a small roofing company that pays a great deal of advertising dollars on a yearly contract to Angie's List. Since they merged with HomeAdvisor they are sending all of the leads that they get on the Angie's List home page to HomeAdvisor and selling them to other roofing companies. So they are getting our advertising dollars upfront and then selling the leads that we have prepaid for to unsuspecting companies through HomeAdvisor. This practice is at the minimum deceitful but more than likely illegal. All forms filled out either as a member or non-member on the Angie's List site should go the companies that pay for that site.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Our basement was waterproofed by A1 Indiana, 20 years ago. We recently had half of our basement flood, We called A1 Indiana about our problem, they were quick to respond, and were out here in no time, they got our problem fixed within a day. I would highly recommend this company, and I will definitely use them again. The workers are very polite, and well mannered, thank you again for fixing our problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

7 months ago I got a call to my office, was promised that my old account on Angie's List will be deleted and since company was sold they will open a new account for the new address. Before I signed the contract I made sure a new account is opened, but 2 weeks after, my new account was deleted. They also approve 6 month contract and after the 6th month I cancelled. They still charged me for the 7th month. SCAM ARTIST, a company that rate other companies business practice acting like the mafia, if you are a business owner please don't advertise with Angie's List. Now I have to fight in court.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I’ve been with Angie's List for over 10 years as a five star painter. They were doing pretty good for several years but after HomeAdvisor bought them they went downhill significantly. I just renewed my contract four months ago and have yet to receive any leads. I have over 100 5 star reviews with them and they can’t even find me any leads. This is disgraceful and they need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I’m getting lots of leads from other agencies but none from Angie's List.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Please don’t get involved with AngiesList especially as a contractor. They lied and I am now 7 days in on trying to cancel my contract and they won't canceled. My rep ask me if I wanted to try something different because I was having issues with AngiesList. I told him I did not want to get into another contract and he told me that it wasn’t... So I agreed. I wasn’t getting any work coming in so I decided to cancel my contract early and come to find out I have 2 contracts and no jobs coming in from AngiesList. Mind you I have a 5 star rating. Please stay away from them and HomeAdvisor. Both are trouble!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

On a scale of 1 to 10, Dave ** is a 10. He removed wallpaper from my bedroom walls, painted the walls, the ceiling, and all the woodwork. Does nice work. Dave also removed wallpaper and painted my living room last year. His work was excellent so that is why I called him back this year.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I thought I cancelled my membership years ago, removed valid credit cards from my profile, and now somehow they accessed my Paypal account and have charged me an annual renewal fee. I am so disgusted with this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Watch out for the fine print! They auto renew the contract for a year and if you don't call them 30 days before the contract auto renews, you are out 35%, which for me was nearly $1000. Angie's List is no longer relevant and they were not willing to work with me on any of it. I've been a paying customer for over 5 years now and this is how they treat me. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

AngiesList autorenewed a charge to the WRONG CREDIT card. I had changed my card to Discover with them back in 12/2017. But an old card that hasn't been used in yrs or monitored by us got charged instead. Consequently we got a late charge that was reported to the credit bureau, and our FICO score tanked by 80 pts for that single event!!! And when I tracked back to 2017 AngiesList had autorenewed the same way, and caused me a late charge back then! That's when I called them to change the credit card, but apparently they never did. (And by the way, I've never had any other late charges on credit cards to date!).

I have yet to get any response from the company, because I can only email and wait for a response within 24 hrs. They apparently don't take anyone's phone call unless you're a "gold" plan member (I only have a silver plan for which they arbitrarily charge the last credit card they have on file $9.99 every 2 yrs, yet will not talk to me!). This is sooo unacceptable. Rather than just reversing the charge, which is a given, I need the credit card to be informed that the original AngiesList charge was in error! We'll see if I can get them to do anything about my situation and will update with results.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

It would appear from all the negative reviews that this company is merely trying to preserve its cash flow pending a bankruptcy filing. The company is blocking legitimate attempts to cancel auto renewals with technical blockages on their website that make it virtually impossible for subscribers to cancel their subscriptions. You should attempt soon to get your money back before the bankruptcy court distributes pennies on the dollar in some sort of a class action settlement.

AngiesList.com Company Information