1.26/5

445 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Worst 4 grand I've ever spent: Angie's List sales department will say anything to get you to sign up for advertising. I was promised 10 to 20 leads a month. I've received a grand total of 12 leads all year. The 4th "success" manager assigned to my account will not return my calls or messages. Stay far away from this shady company. Way to go Angie's list. You're in the process of pissing off your revenue stream one contractor at a time. I hope you go bankrupt. Honestly I had the one person I could get a hold of tell me that 3 people (like that was a big number) had called in the last 30 days. I received none of calls that are supposedly tracked. Use HomeAdvisor. At least that way you can control your lead flow.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Angie’s List is nothing more than a scamming company out to steal from local businesses. They try to sell you the world to agree to a 12 month contract and then once you sign and realize that they don’t provide any service. They charge you a 35% fee for the entire contract if you try to get out of it. They are nothing but scammer. Avoid at all costs.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Our contract just renewed & is up to $165/mo from $150. I went online from my desk computer (24" computer screen) to see if we were getting any views & if it was worth what we were paying. Apparently, this info is only available if I download the APP on my cell phone where I can view it on a 3" x 5" PHONE SCREEN! Duh! When I tried to cancel the contract which renews tomorrow, I was told that there is a 35% cancellation fee! I am canceling anyway - while AngiesList.com may have had good intentions at the start-it has become just a business enterprise unto itself, set up for AngiesList to make money and not really to benefit Businesses or Consumers.

The Contract fee for one year is $1,980.00 and the 35% Cancellation Fee will be $693.00! This for canceling one day BEFORE the Renewal! BEWARE of what I consider to be deceptive business practices (AngiesList can cancel YOU with no fee or recourse). The person that I spoke to cancel the contract was especially snarky too! My own opinion is that it is not worth the money and you had better read their Contract VERY CAREFULLY, before you sign!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I subscribed a few years ago for a fee. After I cancelled with plenty of notice and confirming response they charged my card again. I was aggressive enough that they reversed the charge. Now I see they offer a free membership, allegedly alongside paid ones. To register one has to agree to pay fees even for free. There is no way to choose free before agreeing to pay fees. They could still have my card on file so I am not agreeing to anything. There is no way to contact them directly. Angie's List has become a scam, it appears.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been an AL service provider since 2012. I had wonderful results advertising with them until this year as a housekeeping service. I am an "A" rated company with 26 sparkling reviews at the "top" of their list and receive NO CALLS since 2018 began. I've been in touch with them recently to get some answers as to why leads have suddenly stopped completely. I get no "answers" just excuses. Something has definitely changed with this company and decided to investigate. I discovered this Consumer Affairs site and realize that I am not alone! Many Pros are having the same complaints and problems that I am experiencing. Angie Hicks and her "list" should be ashamed at the poor manner in which her company treats its providers and potential consumers.

After reading all the complaints by consumers and pros alike...I am ashamed to say that I advertise my business on A.L. It is an embarrassment to be associated with such unprofessional people. I am most likely stuck with my advertising contract until next August but will not renew. Angie's List used to be such a great format for me to obtain wonderful, loyal clientele. I guess all good things must come to an end. I am disgusted with Angie and her so-called list.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I received a call from Megan yesterday to sign up for their paid referral service for my cleaning business. I have been on their site for 3 years and have never received one lead. She said it was because I needed to pay for the service so that I could be bumped up to the top of the list and get an A rating. After telling her over a dozen times that I could not afford the $300 a month she was relentless and would not let me off the phone. After an hour and a half of being on the phone with her I finally agreed to try it.

During the conversation she had asked what other companies I had used and I told her I had used Home Advisor and it was unprofessional, unethical and a ripoff and I would never use them again. I spent a lot of money and never received one legitimate lead. I also told her at least a dozen times that I wanted to think about it and check out some reviews first and she was insistent for me to sign up “today” because the deadline was here to get into their magazine that would be distributed to 72,000 homes in my area the second week of Oct.

Hesitantly and nervously I agreed as she said I would get so many leads that come in that it would more than pay for it. That the leads actually call me and I do not call them. Never once even during the numerous times that I told her how I unsatisfied I was with Home Advisor did she tell me that THEY ARE HOME ADVISOR!!! This was not only unethical but blatantly fraudulent. I have already called to cancel and despite the charge. Of course no one was there to help me and the person I called continently sent me to a manager who was not available. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and if I do not receive my refund ASAP I will also be contacting the States Attorney General.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am a member for last 2-3 years, all of a sudden I am unable to log in or change password. No one responds to email or picks up phones, even if you want to cancel the membership. I am unable to log in for last 6 months, so please remember there is no customer service behind this website if you are planning to become a member.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Plumber#1 wanted to charge me $232 for the $14.95 part over and above the charge for the wall valve of $175 which I paid. So my toilet is still leaking; got the parts but he can't come back, it's not his real territory. Plumber #2 put in a faucet but didn't have the right bit to go thru enamel and cast iron to make the spray hole bigger to accommodate the new part. He said, "You find someone to make the hole and I'll come back."

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Angie's List has an obscure feature (a checked box at the bottom of the page that the user easily misses) that automatically sends a user's quote request to "recommended vendors." I submitted a quote request to 3 companies on Angie's List, and my quote request was sent to at least 3 others that I did not select. Apparently Angie's List does this for companies that pay them more. This site appears to be functioning for the companies instead of the consumers now. I am very unhappy about this because Angie's List gave out my cell phone number to these companies.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We are business owners (24+ yrs) with A ratings across the internet, Google, Houzz, Yelp, etc. We have advertised on Angie's List every year for over 10 years in remodeling. This year, we finally decided to cancel Angie's List permanently. There is a number of unethical practices going on that most business owners WILL NEVER KNOW ABOUT because they don't have time to be an investigator, researching how this system works on the member side. I have taken the time to see exactly how it works and how advertising skews the information visible on Angie's List in favor of any business paying $$, regardless of reputation. It's gotten much worse in recent months (2018).

In the end, they are not actually helping consumers at all. They polish up "turds" - B and lower rated companies - that pay for advertising and then promote them heavily for clicks and skew how great they are. Additionally, they will bury the A rated, reputable company not paying for advertising on page 3-4 of results, even if geographically they are next door to the consumer looking for that service. The costs of advertising have increased every year substantially. The value has declined every year substantially. We track it. They will ask you to gather reviews from clients and then report back to you that the sales of all those reviews entered (dollar amounts are part of the review) was "caused" by your presence on Angie's List. Not true. Too much to write here and I expect they will continue to be sued by business owners for the unethical practices that are getting worse with time. Spend your money elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Brad was asked to repair or replace 2 bathroom fans, could not find replacement blowers so then I asked him to replace with new fans. He complained about going into the attic (it was a warm day) but knew coming to my house he might need to replace or repair. Did not get done. Then needed to fix or replace a leaky shower head. Started working on it and said he could not fix.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Angie’s List has the absolute worst customer service bar none!! They never call when scheduled to, give half truths on what they provide and their leads are so sparse [three in two months] that the 600.00 they got from us is not near to what Others can provide. Porch, HomeAdvisor, etc. If you try to cancel membership you’re told you “signed” an contract. I guess they figure if they use your debit card that constitutes a contract. Just don’t use them as it’s total BS and a waste of money and time for no results.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Fellow business owners BEWARE. I signed up with Angie's List to promote my business. The sales team is very good at making promises; however, the overall team, including "management", does not hold up their end of the bargain. I agreed to pay $400 a month for advertising. The sales team vehemently stressed the importance of reviews, so we provided 20 customers to contact for references. Angie's List was slower than molasses in obtaining and posting our reviews. The reviews are CRUCIAL to a business, because the consumer wants to feel confident that they are choosing a reputable company. No company appears to be strong and reputable with only a few reviews - especially when the competing companies have several reviews on their profile.

We have excellent relations with customers - who advised that they had given reviews. This was peculiar because the reviews were never posted to our profile. As a business owner in a very competitive field, we felt that Angie's List was breaching contract and promises as they made excuse after excuse as to why our reviews were never posted:

* They are extremely busy.
* The customers did not return their calls.

* The customers could "call in" to create an account. (Why would we burden our customers with this request?).

Blah blah blah. Nothing but lies. So, my partner canceled after managers failed to rectify the lack of customer service. Angie's List then proceeded to draft our bank account for nearly $1,500 in "cancellation fees". Our bank has reversed this in our favor after reviewing the ongoing documentation. Now I must waste more precious time in dealing with their legal department.

Fellow business owners - If you are dealing with this same issue, record the calls and screenshot your profile daily to prove that they are not holding up on their end. Obtain letters from your customers outlining if they were contacted, and if so - when. Build your case, and take it to your Attorney General, BBB and consumer pages like this. Do not become a victim of their SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Now they want your name, address etc. like HomeAdvisor. What happened? Were they bought out by HomeAdvisor? I've used them years ago to see what the reviews were on a local business, not to have a random company call me. This new system is BS.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I've been using Angie's List for years with success, but it's changed. I tried to find a listing of home inspectors and it took me to a page asking if I'd like people to contact me. I clicked something like "no, show me the listing" and it showed me a list of promoted companies - opposite of what I want when I go to Angie's List, but not even the worst part. Then I started getting a bunch of calls and emails from inspectors that say they got my information from HomeAdvisor.com with the indication that I wanted to be contacted. Obviously Angie's List is sharing personal contact information without permission.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After years of off and on silver membership, on Angie's List, I reached out for help since our contractor was not willing to come back on warranty issues. They would not even talk to me since I don't have a gold membership. They don't care that these contractors don't come back or do a good job. You have to pay extra for them to even talk to you and the worst thing is that they WILL NOT ALLOW A CHANGE IN A BUSINESS REVIEW ON THEIR SITE. I think that bothers me the most because I left positive feedback, to keep a nice relationship with this company, in hopes they would be here if we had any warranty issues.

I could have left a negative review, for FairClaims Roofing, but I chose to try and look at any positive... until I had to chase them around to do warranty work and our home is still leaking! I wanted to revise my review and warn others but Angie's List will not allow any revisions. You have to pay extra for this too! They also have a confusing website... where I thought I could revise it and wrote another review. But it couldn't be replaced. I always thought their website was confusing and very slow! In addition, the site crawlers follow you all over and slow down other sites you go to after being on their site.

I'm done with Angie's List and honestly I've been finding better results with "next door" and other sites that have more legitimate reviews. Obviously, Angie's List does not genuinely care about your project or what the outcome is. They only care about taking your money and in return you get poor service, questionable information and a confusing and slow website experience.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

To the advertisers: We are taking them to court for the false and defamatory statement they put (In red letters on top our page on their site) after we cancelled our contract after 6 years of working together. The reason for cancellation was poor performance. To investors and home owners, watch out.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Over a week and a half and no estimate (roofing). This is the third time I've utilized Angie's List for repairs of some kind and have never hired the company recommended. I doubt I will ever use Angie's List again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Had to jump in here after receiving the fifth call AGAIN for a contractor. The contractors that came were all EXTREMELY overpriced, I do not necessarily blame Angie's List for this, but after getting a contractor outside the website it did seem a little... coincidental... that they were all about 20-30% higher in price. My largest problem however is that they DEFINITELY sell your contact information. They directly answered me with "No, we absolutely do not" when I asked, but there is simply no way that this is true. While you will definitely get many contractors who want to quote you, you will also get MANY contractors who will want to quote you... and won't stop calling. I bought a house a few months ago and for the first time used Angie's List to look for a contractor to start my renovations.

Since using Angie's List, I have gotten four calls per day non-stop and there is no way to have the calls stop coming. I still receive AT LEAST four calls per day, long after I have already stopped even having conversations with contractors... It has been almost two months now and I wish to god I had never used Angie's List in the first place. It has truly been the most obnoxious thing I have had to deal with since buying this house and there is no way to stop it. The contractors say they have no idea what I am talking about, and Angie's List claims that they do not give out information and do not store information either. This is an obvious and blatant lie as me and many like me from reviews I have read, are now getting solicitation calls throughout the day... every day. Definitely was disappointed that this happened and make sure to let people know what to expect if they call Angie's List. I personally will never use the site again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Their process of handling a complaint is so bad. I hired Sam's Retaining Wall due to his reviews on Angie's List seven months ago. I spent 42000 on the patio, wall and fireplace and it is sinking and separating. They continue to support Sam and take his money for advertising while I am out 55,000 to repair what he did poorly. He had an attorney send me a letter to sue me for defamation of character which is against their policy, but this continue to support this unqualified dishonest contractor.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I noticed a $9.99 billing on my credit card, and recalled that I wanted a one-time membership to review a potential accountant. I thought it was a ONE TIME deal. No. Apparently it just keeps renewing and then when you try and call, they say, "Your membership doesn't include phone support" (!) Then they don't answer their emails! EXTREMELY frustrating. DO NOT start with these people.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Unhappy with their reviews. Good reviews to THOSE WHO PAY. Even though I canceled my membership in time to avoid an automatic renewal, Angie's List renewed me and charged me on my credit card. If you call the phone number listed on the credit card charge to reach them it results in a recorded message indicating that my membership "does not entitle me to telephone support". I was unable to log in to their website to cancel again or complain. Also no telephone recourse. This has happened for a second year again! Communication with them is next to impossible. A VERY BAD COMPANY. Should you be getting REVIEWS from such a company?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Even though I canceled my membership in time to avoid an automatic renewal, Angie's List renewed me and charged $29.00 on an expired credit card. At the time, you could only cancel by calling (not online) which I did. I disputed the charge and then they charged me a second time. Communication with them is difficult if not impossible. It is ironic for a company that is supposed to warn consumers about disreputable vendors. My only recourse has been to have my credit card company block all future charges by Angie's List. They have now canceled my membership with 9 months left and I am still out $29.00. Absolutely stay away from Angie's List, even if they say it is free!

Original review: July 23, 2018

The Phone Number to reach a HUMAN Angie's List Rep (albeit an off-shore call center in the Philippines) is 888-944-5478. NOTE: ALL Angie's List tel #s end in `-4578; I had the same experience as many others - my calls to Angie's List on a billing issue with my `Silver' membership went NOWHERE, because the ONLY number they publish on their website directed me to'WORTHLESS 'Voice-Mail' system which (1) Told me that my Membership DID NOT ENTITLE me to 'telephone support'; - and (2) Lied about their being 'SEVERAL options for you' to get assistance [only ONE was offered - that one directing callers to a USELESS "Support Center" on their web-page]. Their VM system has NO provision to summon an Operator by hitting 2- or more Zeros.

I got re-directed and disconnected a total of SIX TIMES trying to work via the "Consumer" extension option - so I turned to the "Business" services option. I reached the SAME Business Services Rep twice (my first internal transfer was disconnected) - but the Transfer was completed in my second call - and the off-shore Customer Assistance Center 888-944-5478. GOOD LUCK!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I contacted Angie's List to cancel my service by telephone and they said I did not have the telephone call feature. I then emailed and it said you needed to log in. Well, it's been a while so I didn't remember my password and may have even changed my email address. I keep trying to re-register to no avail. I did contact my auto payment merchant and cancelled the future payments. I still need to tell them I wish to no longer receive their pamphlets due to being a senior on a fixed income. Can you help me?

Original review: July 18, 2018

You answer all these questions with the premise that they have some matching people that can do what you are looking for. Finally, when you get all done, they tell you, "Nope, sorry you spent all that time and energy for nothing." I think they just want to harvest all your information. I never trust a company that strings you on only to pull the rug out from under you when it's time to do what they promised. I would never trust them again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have only used Angie's List 2 times. The first time was to find a housekeeper. I put in the required information, and the end result was a list of companies and reviews I could peruse and call at my leisure to inquire. I did, called a company called "We Clean America", which was short-lived due to being unprofessional. I decided to look at a kitchen remodel also, and did the same process. Little did I know, that a list with reviews was not going to be sent, but within 3 minutes of hitting send, a bombardment and onslaught of calls from companies would start pouring in on my personal phone number. It was relentless. It was constant. It was a nightmare.

One of the companies was under the impression per their deal with Angie's List, that only 3 companies were to be referred per consumer request. It was more like 75-100 companies were given my number. Some of the more aggressive callers, became rude and abusive. It has been 2 months now, and the calls are still coming in. I am now getting solicitation calls from companies that provide services I never inquired about. I still get 2-3 solicitation calls per day. This has become such an invasion into my personal life. Shame on Angie's List.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had two addresses back when their paid subscription service was useful (no free options at the time). I canceled my "membership" in 2014 but they left one account open on auto-renewal. Complaint #1, since I canceled I have not receive a single notice or email from them (so it effectively cut off the emails). Complaint #2, they have been auto-renewing without sending any notice in advance these past 4-years. Complaint #3, I just received a notice of the last auto-renewal occurring 70-days ago with a note saying I have 60-days to cancel for a full refund (so the cancellation period had just expired). It is deceptive and dishonest to auto-renew without notice BEFORE the renewal date. They did agree to renew the last charges but not for "expired memberships".

Original review: July 13, 2018

Been with Angie’s List for 2-3 months and have received zero leads, they are telling me I need more reviews to be seen and that I need deals or coupons to bring in leads. I’m spending $300 a month for me to work at making deals and getting reviews that don’t work and seeing zero return on my investment, already spent $600 going on $900 with Angie’s List and have received nothing in return, highly disappointing with the interaction with this company. And if you cancel with them they will charge you 35% of remaining balance of contact to get more out of you, this company is a joke. Please stay away and use your marketing dollars somewhere else.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Don't use Angie's List. They claim they are 'free'. They are not. They are complete cons. I signed up four years ago when I bought a new home in a new area. I could never find anyone reliable through them, so I canceled. The next year they auto-renewed my account even though I specifically set my account to NOT auto renew. I called, they refunded. The next year it happened again (TWICE they tried to charge me every three months). I called, they said it was my fault but when I got the CC company involved they backed down. I demanded they delete my information. They agreed. Now this year, the THIRD year in a row, they are trying to auto renew my account again. I called, but now they say my "membership does not include talking to a representative," but I can fill out a form online or PAY MORE than the base membership to talk to someone. WHAT A SCAM! Finally I had to block them as a vendor on my CC side to try and make it stop.

AngiesList.com Company Information