AngiesList.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Signed up as a consumer to get accurate ratings of contractors. After looking at several, I started receiving numerous emails wanting me to review or let them know if I used a certain contractor. I finally used one that I found on the list and I found them to be good. I then proceed to give them a good review. After being inundated with annoying emails from various people working for Angie's List, they wouldn't accept my review until I gave them previous addresses where I lived and more personal information in addition to what I had already provided when I signed up. I told them they had enough of my information to which they told me I couldn't review the contractor with providing more.

AngiesList has court documents showing that a customer of mine is not to write any reviews in regards to a job I completed for her. I provided AngiesList this document and they refuse to take the review down. This court document indicates that my company Flawless Arborist is a victim and Donna is slandering my company on every website that she can. I want the bad review taken down today. AngiesList you have everything you need to see that this review is not accurate.

I am a contractor in Michigan and contacted Angie's List to try to get more leads, after speaking to one of their representatives a few times I decided that it wasn't the right choice for my company because they wanted me to sign a year contract with them. I let them know that the contract was my issue and that I wasn't interested unless I could get into a shorter term contract. They kindly let me know that was my only option.

Lo and behold I got a follow up call about 2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in setting advertising up with them, I let them know-again - my issues with the contract and I got the "well why didn't you say something?" From there the lady let me know she could do 6 months and it would be the same price as the 1 year contract as well. I agreed and asked them to call me at a more convenient time. Once I got the call back - it was the lady I originally spoke with that told me they don't any contracts that are less than a year- she started reading me the contract conditions. Included in this was obviously the price I would be spending each month aaannddd it went up almost 50%... Mind you I was told the price would not change with the shorter contract...

I should have called it quits at that point but she was able to talk to her "manager" and get me the original price with the short term contract. I signed up, it's been nearly 3 weeks I have not gotten a single lead from them. In fact I have gotten more from a free craigslist ad. I was told when I first started talking to them that they had had "400 inquiries" in my area in my line of work "this month and only 4 contractors". I called today to speak with their "customer success team" and their best advice was to get a bigger advertising area a.k.a. Pay them more money, I declined and asked them to just change my coupon, then got on my profile to check and the changes were incorrect and did not make sense. The only useful tool I have gotten from Angie's List is the ability to let my customers review me publicly and that part is free! I advise spending your marketing money elsewhere.

I was a long time member of Angie's List. I then decided to cancel since I didn't use it for a couple of years. I was talked into having a membership for $5. I agreed to that on the condition that it would not autorenew. They guaranteed that it wouldn't. I just found the charge on my credit card for $9.99. I called them and they said they won't issue a refund because I didn't cancel on time. My account was set to not renew. Apparently, all accounts were changed to auto renewal within this past year.

The person from Angie's List said: "I apologize if the auto renewal caught you off guard. By default, when you sign up for a membership online, the membership renews automatically. We started automatic renewal for the convenience of our members, based on their feedback, so they wouldn't need to contact us every time they wanted their account to continue."

I recently canceled my contract two months shy of renewal. When I initially signed up to pay Angie's List their high monthly fee, it was with the intent that I could gain a some a few new customers and that it would be a win, win situation. They stated clearly that with this monthly fee that they would list my company at the top of their list as well as let me offer coupons that were completely in my control. To understand clearly, they said that I was on a contract and would have control. They changed this rule 2/3 of the way through the agreement and they wouldn't let me post the sales that were complimentary to my business. They instead have become more like a company that sends large blasts of spam out for the business' that pay however, they take their monthly payment and a large portion of the payment of the services that were rendered and purchased from their site.

I could see Angie's List having the potential to throw a few good companies under the bus. My company is a highly rated company across the board, even on Angie's List, however, recently their review practice has changed. They now let any biased individual who has never done business with a business listed on Angie's List makes a complaint or a merely state their opinion. It could be your rival, it could be a disgruntled employee, it could be an honest person. Once your business is in Angie's Lists hands, you are subjecting your hard work and business to good people and predators alike. And, the most unfortunate thing about Angie's List is that they sit back, push a button to send mass emails and then collect thousands of dollars off of the sweat and hard work of all the national business' who fallen into this internet pit.

It's also unfortunate that when you go to Angie's List, you are sometimes getting uneducated, opinionated comments, (not actual reviews) and with this, ever so judging country we have become, those who are simply having a bad day could easily put someone out of business. I highly recommend that if you own a business, NEVER pay Angie's List for a listing. There are unscrupulous people out there who cannot tell the difference between writing an actual review of services rendered versus sharing their biased and unfactual opinion. They need to change their name so that it will closely represent their company. It should be called, Angie's List Opinions, and comments from strangers who have never done business with the listed business at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

I am a small business owner in Orlando Fl. I was looking where to put my company name out there. I tried HomeAdvisor for 1 month and was a totally waste of money!! Do not put your business in HomeAdvisor. They charge $25 per lead. I got 16 leads. Only 1 job were performed out of 16. The rest no contact at all and they still charged me. So I start doing researches and found AL. So I've been concern about the scam from HA, wouldn't let AL fools me, so they start selling me dreams that they're gonna put my name on top of the list of my category if I get at least 5 reviews from past customers. I asked if they have an offer before I sign the contract and she told me yes they do offer 3 month FREE after you pay the full year agreement. LMAO wth!!! Doesn't make sense at all. She start putting pressure to me to pay and trying to avoid my questions. Thanks God I left my wallet in my car because almost I sign that.

So I start looking for this kinds of reviews what I didn't did before I sign with HA and found all this bad revs. Omg. Thanks to all of you for saving me $$. I haven't and I will not do ads with AL. I'm still looking where to and I found Vistaprint and I'm doing very good. Thanks to them. If you have another good ad company please feel free to share it with me. Once again thanks for the advice.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Angie's List for her new ad campaign that taught my grandson how to flush a stuffed animal down the toilet. I'm sure these commercials get a chuckle or two in the boardroom and probably has generated a few sales for your preferred contractor clients (particularly plumbers) but it sure as heck has made my life a little bit miserable. So please, as you continue with cutesy ads. No commercials involving sharp objects, permanent markers, food stuffs in electronics or any other destructive behavior that can influence a minor. Thanking you in advance.

I should have read all review about Angie's list before I became a member and put my company name on their profile. I'm blown away by their flat out lies and business practice. If a referral company as large as Angie's list cannot be honest with business they do business with then what can anyone do to show consumer they are a good company. I bought into a ad they ran for 268.00 a month for a spot in the top 25 contractor for a area and for a month I got not one call. So I call them and they tell me before it start I have to have at least 5 referral and I only had 3. Wow I said I wish I would have know this before I joined and spent 268 of my money on nothing.

So I told them I did not want to pay anymore till I got to 5 referral and then they tell me it's a contract for a year and I will be honest - I went by what the lady told me I was signing was a background check of who we are and I did not read it at all. It was a contract. I was very mad at myself for this. That being said I told the rep that how could you make someone pay for something they can't use and his reply was "I understand but it's a contract". So I did not pay it and now they took my company info down and I've not heard a word back and no reply. Be very very very careful with them and don't believe anything a rep tells you. Too many issue.

I went online, hired a cleaning service, was IMMEDIATELY charged for that service, and then spent the next week trying to track down the service provider. NOTHING...zero response. Angie's List should be ashamed to allow service providers to advertise deals without checking on that provider. After the provider ignored 4 emails, I contacted Angie's List and asked for a full refund. Now, I have to wait another week to get that refund. Basically, with Angie's List, you rely on them to provide you with names of trustworthy providers, and then they take your money and you are on your own to try to track down the service. WASTE of time and terrible way to run a company.

I signed up on Angie's List yesterday and afterwards I found some disturbing things about the company, so I choose it to be better to stay from Angie's List. I called this morning to cancel my contract with them, they were very rude about it, try to tell me I couldn't cancel and refused to refund my money. I would say 238 dollars for 24 hours is a bit harsh. So if you are a contractor and looking to increase call volume beware once you sign up. They will hold you responsible. I choose Angie's List because I was told they were better than HomeAdvisor. Well, HomeAdvisor done me wrong and so did Angie's so I am done working with companies like this.

I am so disappointed to hear that Angie's List charges recommended businesses to be on their lists. I thought Angie got her money from charging customers for referrals. I recommended a very good air conditioning business and was so unhappy to hear that he was going to be charged to be on Angie's list.

I received an F review from a former pissed off client who tried to hold me responsible for an area of expertise I am not licensed to perform, nor did he pay. Client did not order or refused the common practice of obtaining a WDO/termite inspection prior to closing on his property. 5 months later he tries to black mail me - stating I should have reported termite damage which 1) I was performing a basic home inspection, not a termite inspection, 2) termite inspections are only performed by a licensed pest control operator, client was aware of this at the time of inspection, 3) he submits photos on the Angie's List review board, which I can't counter with my own photos at time of inspection.

Any termite professional knows that they even check off all areas of attic are not visible and typically after 30 days. This is on top of all the low ballers coming out of the woodwork as Angie's continually oversells ADV space - allowing competitors to under cut each other. It is not worth doing business with Angie's List any further.

I am a contractor on Angie's List and I have an account with them. As of today I have 6 reviews, but when I log in on Angie's List and search for my business I do not show up in the results... I see all kind of other businesses including (after search result 5 or 6) businesses that are not even in the same industry as I am.

I called Angie's List and asked them: "Why when I type the name of my business I do not see our business in the search results, we have 6 reviews, all of them are A's, 100% customer satisfaction, and would recommend and/or rehire me?" The customer rep responded that if we do not pay we do not appear in the search results. This means that when YOU want to hire a contractor and search on Angie's List you will not necessarily find the contractors with the best rating, but the ones that pay to be on the search results!! Do not trust Angie's Reviews. They clean up the names of companies that pay well and disregard those that do not pay them.

The company I work for was notified by a client that we had a review with an "F" grade on Angie's List. I went to the site and saw that it was posted the exact day that a disgruntled former employee left the company. He also mentioned information that would have never been mentioned by a client because it is, in fact, false information. We never serviced him at all.

I contacted Angie's list numerous times and got the runaround. They said that I'd have to provide this former employee's employment information in order for us to prove that it was him. Funny stuff. We then asked them to just remove the entire listing of our company as we had never listed ourselves anyway, and they did it without our permission, but they refuse to remove it. After reading all these complaints on this site with similar situations and all the false reviews... it sounds to me like someone should initiate a class action lawsuit. It's about time something is done about this bogus company that is ruining business for so many.

I'm writing this to warn you against making the same mistake I did. Since joining I tried using their referrals for numerous jobs around my home with no success. What I've found was referrals to overpriced services from contractors were consistent no matter what I was looking for. This is fine and it's my right to decline and continue searching elsewhere but since joining I've received solicitations by phone twice and by email daily, both NOT what I signed up for! Do yourself a favor and do not make the same mistake I did by actually paying them to become a nuisance to me. Their emails; they've stooped so low as to send emails occasionally with an alert type subject Account needs attention. Pathetic.

I purchased landscaping 3D design through Angie's List online. The local landscaping contractor contacted me, and I made an appointment with them. A guy showed up and spent 3 minutes on my lot, then left. The company asked if I was interested in hiring them to do the landscaping job. I told them that I had to see their design first. They never gave me the design I paid. I emailed them and called them so many times asking them to email me the design if they didn't have time to come.

Eventually, I called Angie's List. Told them what happened. They said they would help me to get my money back, but I never received refund so I called Angie's list again, and found out that they closed my case without refunding me. I kept calling and I paid for service in September 2016. Now I have not received service and would not receive refund. Over all, this company is not honest and is not reliable. The contractor they assigned to you would only care about money. Stay away from Angie's List no matter how good their deals sound.

Sneaky practices by Angie's List. I sent them a payment by mail through Bill pay but they sent back the check and tried to bill my credit card instead. Causing me to pay more interest instead of taking my bill pay check. The bank has not giving me back the credit money until I prove where Angie's List made a mistake... They say that it was my fault when the whole thing is their fault and are demanding payment. I am out 119.76 and they want me to pay them 119.76. ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS TAKE THE BILL PAY CHECK IN THE FIRST PLACE. DISGUSTED!!!

I was a member of AngiesList since 2014. I was not using the service so I therefore called consumer service to cancel my membership on October 15, 2015. However, on April 23, 2016 I discovered my service was not cancelled as requested. I was unaware that I was being charged $29 monthly for the past 6 months. I contacted AngiesList consumer service for an explanation, I told they never received a cancellation request. Then he proceeded to try to sell me a more expensive package (GOLD PACKAGE). I had interrupt the gentleman several times to get him to RE-cancel my service and a refund. I will only be refunded $29 in 2 weeks.

This is a complete joke. My business signed up to get more service leads and 3 months go by and not a single lead. Paid $300 to join and another $300 a month for 3 months and still ZERO leads. I canceled and they go on to tell me I have a 12 month agreement. I was never told I had a 12 month agreement. And even if there was an agreement I received ZERO leads. So I cancel and they go on to tell me I will be charged $1000 to cancel. And they charged me. So now I will be fighting this company to the end. Worthless-don't buy into the bs business owners. It's a scam. No wonder they make 83 million in revenue a year.

By chance I found a negative review from a person I never did any work for or bid any project from. I contacted Angie's List and they tell me that because their client won't respond back to them they have to leave it up. I now wonder if even their positive reviews are trustworthy. I have been in business since 1985 and have had only happy clients.

I have been an Angie's List member for years. A couple of years ago, I had tremendous problems with them when I purchased their gold membership which was supposed to come with a rebate on the purchase and use of one of their deals. I ended up calling at least 10 times about the rebate and emailing proof several times and it took many many months and way too much effort and follow up to actually get the deal. I was told that was a one time issue with them but from talking with others about Angie's List, it seems to be standard operating procedure. I don't know if they figure by making it so difficult to obtain and making it take so long, maybe the customer would just give up and they could keep all of the funds that were promised. It seems short sighted though because Angie's List also had to pay their employees for all of that time on the phone.

A couple of years ago, I hired a contractor who did a great job. I reviewed his company on Angie's List and hired him for several more jobs. (The contractor pays attention to detail, provides high quality work and a reasonable price. That is tough to find). He told me recently about a problem he was having with Angie's List charging him for advertising without his consent (it was a LOT IMO for his receiving basically nothing) and giving him the run around when he tried to call about it.

I am an attorney so I decided to help him with the issue. Within a couple of days, Angie's List removed my positive review of his company and claimed that there is a conflict of interest. It is not a big deal to either the contractor or myself but I think this shows what kind of company they are. Very spoil sport. How would they search me, as his attorney, and decide to have an issue about the review!?

Someone spent quite a bit of time on that and I wish they would have spent the time taking care of my contractor's issue instead. They don't care that I am representing a client well more than a year after I reviewed him. It seems to me that they are out to punish him any way they can for complaining. Now, if only their "investigation" into their charging him for advertising not provided as agreed would only move as quickly we would not be in this situation. They take MONTHS to review a matter. It also seems that employee turn over is so high, as soon as one "account manager" reviews the matter and is prepared to discuss it, he either quits or is fired and a new "account manager" says he knows nothing about what the last one did.

Logged onto Angie's List website to look up our account and noticed three "F" reviews of my company from people that we have NEVER serviced. Sent an email to AL to make them aware of this and remove these ratings and I have heard nothing from them and ratings still remain!!! We have been in business over 20 years and we are in excellent standing with the City of Springfield's Building Inspectors Office and an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau. Angie's List doesn't even try to make sure reports are accurate!!! This is fraudulent reporting!!!

Purchased an Angie's List "big deal" coupon with cc, no work done whatsoever, now they refuse to refund without "review" taking weeks or months or who knows, years. Paperwork and ad said refund readily available. NEVER PAY AHEAD. When will I Iearn? Will never trust Angie's List again. Apparently they have not learned that a loss of trust is irreparable.

Green Effect Land & Tree - Very reliable, dependable and trustworthy company. Very nice young men. I live in a senior park with our trailers very close. This company took down an 80 foot Pine tree and was very careful and concern not to damage my neighbors homes. I highly recommend this company. Very fair price also! Thank you!

Received one of many calls from AL two days ago and decided to pick up the line. A review was posted with false information at the end of January. Some information in the review was true however this was from 12 years ago but AL allowed the posting to show it from 2016. I brought this to the attention of the AL representative and he told me he did not see this review and that we have an "A" rating. I disagreed with him and told him that from the contractor site it shows a "B" rating and from a consumer site it shows a "C" rating. He still disagreed and I just checked again today, both still show the review and the same grades of B and C. I have the review and response I sent printed along with the judgment document in the case to verify this posting. The rep was even told that PA HIC only requires me to report and judgments less than 10 years old.

I did post a response to the review but it stills shows as "STATUS PENDING" since the review includes AL not verifying what is posted in their reviews. I only have an account because someone did a review and it allows me to monitor any postings. I never have and will not advertise with AL. This experience proves the scam that AL is running just to make money. Fellow contractors, you do not need these types of advertising websites, Google Adwords (money well spent) and word of mouth works just fine. If we contractors don't patronize AL and the others they will cease to exist.

I get a phone call and am given a lot of small talk, I have been called many times; and they want my business. But won't give me a price... But I FINALLY AM TOLD I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERY CATEGORY; and it will be very expensive to be in more than 3 or 4 areas. Hours on the phone and I start to understand they are reading off of a list as to what to say if I SAY something that is on their list. I was never given a price... And came here to make a complaint. Hours to this ** I was told there was never anyone else that left a referral and my customers say they have gone on to the site and left a referral. Now I hate this company... Never going to get any of my money.

My experience with Angie's List started out fine except for the clunky, very user-UNfriendly website which has never been updated for many, many years. Then I wrote one bad review out of a half dozen good ones and what happens? They call him to verify business and he somehow made them not post it!!! I called and over a few months of "Sorry, we are trying to update the manner in which we post."

They finally posted it with a "Warning" at the bottom that this contractor refuses to be on Angie's List and such action is suspect. HOWEVER, they made it so that you could not find his business on a normal search of contractors in the area. You would have to spell out the full name of the business (including LLC, PA, Inc., etc.) or it would never come up. AND a grade did not show at all making you think there were no reviews unless you actually then clicked on it!! You had to go through all those steps to find the hidden review.

I called for another month to see if they could fix that and they always said, "Sir, I see the review." Then I would make them go through the process of a consumer like me to search and they would say, "Oh, I see, sorry we are updating the way we will post reviews soon." But they never do that, obviously. A totally dishonest operation in my experience. They hide or delete bad reviews on request.

After many years of having a $15 Angie's List membership, today my auto renewal was billed at $44! I received no advance notice of this huge price increase. When I contacted Angie's List 'member care,' I was never given an explanation as to when the prices changed or why I was not informed. After some back and forth, I was told that there is a membership similar to my former membership level that is $24.99. I told them to give me that level and refund the difference. I was then told that the person I was dealing with could not refund the difference, but that someone would be in touch in 1 to 2 business days. Ridiculous! The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had been advertising with Angie's List since 2009 to about October 2016 with my AC company. For the first few years we did really well with them, but as they saturated the market in South Florida with sub par HVAC contractors, even unlicensed ones, it became washed out, but that is not why I am upset. For the last 8-12 months we were struggling with them to fix our incorrect grade of a B when it was suppose to be an A, let's all face it. If you are a B rated anything on any online platform, you might as well not be there at all. They admitted to the grade being incorrect in multiple areas of their website, for many months, due to a website platform change.

I had explained to them that "you are portraying my company as a B rated company when it is an A, and I am losing a lot of money because of it" and I refused to pay my advertising money to them until they fixed the issue. To this day they haven't fixed it, and they have put a disclaimer on my account saying that my company does not portray what an Angie's List company requires to be on AL therefore we can no longer advertise with them unless we pay. I was even willing to partial pay for those last 4 months in contract for the incorrect grade, but they left me with no choice but to sue them. They should not be able to knowingly have our incorrect grade and expect payment, they did not hold up to their end of the contract. ADVERTISERS IN SOUTH FLORIDA-STAY FAR AWAY IF YOU ARE THINKING OF JOINING ANGIE'S LIST-BEWARE.

Angie's List is not a reputable guide to "the best" and highest rated business services. We are so confused as to why these ratings are "great" when 2 out of the 3 businesses we hired were not what their ratings showed. A painting contractor had rave reviews but he reeked of alcohol the day he started the job, he sent different painters everyday, no one seemed to know what the other was doing. Another guy we hired to pressure-wash our house did a horrible job and didn't complete what was agreed to. He asked us to give him a good review because he needed the work. He mostly wanted to sit around and talk more than work. We completely lost faith in Angie's List and stopped using their recommendations.

AngiesList.com Company Profile