1.35/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

476 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I just found out that there was a class action lawsuit on AngiesList. I was really screwed over by AngiesList 4 years ago when I chose a contractor on their list because they gave him A plus ratings. He did not have a valid contractor's license, he had had a LLC license (which inhibits him from doing more than a 1000 dollars of work at a time) that had expired the year prior. All of Angies' information on this guy was false. I paid this guy $15,000.00 and he ruined my kitchen, I filed a claim with the ROC in AZ and they determined that he needed to give me my money back but he did not. They could not help further because he did not have a license, he is now in jail for fraud and drug charges unrelated to my case.

I still have a really icky kitchen. He told me I needed a new main breaker box which I did not, charged me 1800 dollars, did not get a permit and put is in wrong and it had to be redone. I appealed to AngiesList regarding this and they told me I should have checked to see if his contractors license was real and it was my fault. They took no responsibility and gave me no help. I went on Channel 12 On Your Side here in AZ. I would love to join a class action lawsuit against them!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We are a small roofing company that pays a great deal of advertising dollars on a yearly contract to Angie's List. Since they merged with HomeAdvisor they are sending all of the leads that they get on the Angie's List home page to HomeAdvisor and selling them to other roofing companies. So they are getting our advertising dollars upfront and then selling the leads that we have prepaid for to unsuspecting companies through HomeAdvisor. This practice is at the minimum deceitful but more than likely illegal. All forms filled out either as a member or non-member on the Angie's List site should go the companies that pay for that site.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Our basement was waterproofed by A1 Indiana, 20 years ago. We recently had half of our basement flood, We called A1 Indiana about our problem, they were quick to respond, and were out here in no time, they got our problem fixed within a day. I would highly recommend this company, and I will definitely use them again. The workers are very polite, and well mannered, thank you again for fixing our problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

7 months ago I got a call to my office, was promised that my old account on Angie's List will be deleted and since company was sold they will open a new account for the new address. Before I signed the contract I made sure a new account is opened, but 2 weeks after, my new account was deleted. They also approve 6 month contract and after the 6th month I cancelled. They still charged me for the 7th month. SCAM ARTIST, a company that rate other companies business practice acting like the mafia, if you are a business owner please don't advertise with Angie's List. Now I have to fight in court.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I’ve been with Angie's List for over 10 years as a five star painter. They were doing pretty good for several years but after HomeAdvisor bought them they went downhill significantly. I just renewed my contract four months ago and have yet to receive any leads. I have over 100 5 star reviews with them and they can’t even find me any leads. This is disgraceful and they need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I’m getting lots of leads from other agencies but none from Angie's List.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Please don’t get involved with AngiesList especially as a contractor. They lied and I am now 7 days in on trying to cancel my contract and they won't canceled. My rep ask me if I wanted to try something different because I was having issues with AngiesList. I told him I did not want to get into another contract and he told me that it wasn’t... So I agreed. I wasn’t getting any work coming in so I decided to cancel my contract early and come to find out I have 2 contracts and no jobs coming in from AngiesList. Mind you I have a 5 star rating. Please stay away from them and HomeAdvisor. Both are trouble!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

On a scale of 1 to 10, Dave ** is a 10. He removed wallpaper from my bedroom walls, painted the walls, the ceiling, and all the woodwork. Does nice work. Dave also removed wallpaper and painted my living room last year. His work was excellent so that is why I called him back this year.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I thought I cancelled my membership years ago, removed valid credit cards from my profile, and now somehow they accessed my Paypal account and have charged me an annual renewal fee. I am so disgusted with this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Watch out for the fine print! They auto renew the contract for a year and if you don't call them 30 days before the contract auto renews, you are out 35%, which for me was nearly $1000. Angie's List is no longer relevant and they were not willing to work with me on any of it. I've been a paying customer for over 5 years now and this is how they treat me. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

AngiesList autorenewed a charge to the WRONG CREDIT card. I had changed my card to Discover with them back in 12/2017. But an old card that hasn't been used in yrs or monitored by us got charged instead. Consequently we got a late charge that was reported to the credit bureau, and our FICO score tanked by 80 pts for that single event!!! And when I tracked back to 2017 AngiesList had autorenewed the same way, and caused me a late charge back then! That's when I called them to change the credit card, but apparently they never did. (And by the way, I've never had any other late charges on credit cards to date!).

I have yet to get any response from the company, because I can only email and wait for a response within 24 hrs. They apparently don't take anyone's phone call unless you're a "gold" plan member (I only have a silver plan for which they arbitrarily charge the last credit card they have on file $9.99 every 2 yrs, yet will not talk to me!). This is sooo unacceptable. Rather than just reversing the charge, which is a given, I need the credit card to be informed that the original AngiesList charge was in error! We'll see if I can get them to do anything about my situation and will update with results.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

It would appear from all the negative reviews that this company is merely trying to preserve its cash flow pending a bankruptcy filing. The company is blocking legitimate attempts to cancel auto renewals with technical blockages on their website that make it virtually impossible for subscribers to cancel their subscriptions. You should attempt soon to get your money back before the bankruptcy court distributes pennies on the dollar in some sort of a class action settlement.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Do not join Angie's List!! My husband signed up with them with his new electrical business after being promised "tons of work." We paid over $500 a month and he got nothing. He kept being told to get more reviews but how do you get customers to write reviews if you can't get customers?? The so-called customer service reps are total scam artists. They hound you to sign up but once you do, they go silent and don't even respond to emails. We cancelled our membership early and paid the fee just to be rid of them. Such an awful experience!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was signed up with Angie's List and not HomeAdvisor, so when they automatically renewed my subscription for AL, I was okay. I had used AL to do a lot of work on my home. But when I moved and went to my old familiar AL I was surprised to see that the format had changed. I was expecting to be able to review the various contractors and make a decision from an informed position. What I got was a bombardment of contractor contacting me when I had not seen anything like the old AL about the company. If I wanted HomeAdvisor I would have used them. Bottom Line Angie, I hope you were paid handsomely for your company because in my opinion what started out as a need for the consumer has turn into cash only bottom line. The integrity is gone and so am I.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

AVOID! Their system is designed to the original contractors who signed up years ago with 400+ reviews. With 0 leads in 5 months all they keep telling me is I need more reviews? Now to cancel I am contracted to pay to get out. Ouch!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was tricked into a 1 year advertising contract. I lost $600 for no leads over a 2 month period. I tried to cancel my subscription only to find out I was under a 1 year contract and would have to pay a cancelation fee of over $1000. If I ever knew they were going to put me under a contract I would have never signed up to begin with. They were very clever on how they manipulate your conversation to fit what they want.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Do not join. The company blocks attempts to cancel. It auto renews every year. I try calling to cancel, only to hear a recording state my membership does not cover phone support. This is a sorry company to refuse phone call queries from paid members. This is merely designed to continue to take unearned fees. BEWARE OF THIS.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I am a contractor that started an account for leads for my new business. They charged me $424/mo. for leads I never got. NOW, that I CANCELLED, they want to add an additional $1033 Termination Fee. DO NOT JOIN THEM!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

GMP Dumpster Rental did an outstanding job removing yard debris and cleaned my property above expectation. Timely, courteous and professional, this is by far one of the best junk services that I have experienced. Will use again and they are highly recommended.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

An organization base on fraud, they will collect your money and NO service at all, if you go complaint they will tell you have contract and you have to pay no matter what. I been contacting them to send court documents they give me a fake email address.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Decided to try out and what a mistake this was. I was told more work than you can handle (lies and more lies!!!). Once they have your credit card it's a slot machine for them. The salesman tells me someone would be assigned to me and he would help, never answers his phone and return phone calls. They said I would be their top ten and would get a lot of calls. Bull!!! Paid them 600.00/month and cancelled after 3 months, now they are harassing me to pay them 1,800 for doing nothing. Told them multiple times that I was not satisfied with them and they fed me a line of crap that my reviews were not enough, so when I had past customers put reviews in they didn't register in, then when you call no one knows why? Never use them, again and next I will call my lawyer if they continue to harass.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Every person that I hired from Angie's List has been terrible. From home contractor to house painters. My flooring is separating, cabinets and other items that were installed are falling apart. This was a 5 star rated contractor. That's a joke. The house painters also had 5 star rating and their work was sloppy and no one spoke English. DO NOT TRUST ANGIE'S LIST OR HOMEADVISOR... Do the research yourself for hiring professionals.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I hired a veteran to make repairs on my front entry doorway. I wanted to support. He assured me he could do repairs without me having to replace the whole door. He made a complete mess and now I can’t find him on Angie’s List at all. I’ve called and he doesn’t answer. By the way - he cashed my check the same day. I’ll pay the extra and use the pros next time and I won’t be using Angie’s List again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Now that HomeAdvisor has bought Angie's List, HomeAdvisor is sending us leads from there. We also advertise with Angie's List, the website interface has totally changed so now members not logged in are submitting their info to be matched with professionals. CUSTOMERS AREN'T AWARE OF THIS. We've gotten multiple angry customers, confused as to why we're calling them. Angie's List wants $1,200 to cancel our advertising with them. They should pay US for the 5 months we've paid to get no customers.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Wrote an honest review on my experience with a contractor. The contractor threatened to sue me if I don’t take my negative review down. I let AngiesList know and they did nothing. I took the review down simply to not be sued. The company maintains a high rating on AngieList which of course is not accurate since they threaten people with lawsuits if they post anything other than glowing reviews!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My Angie's List review and complaint. Buyer beware. Angie's List is a bunch of crooks. Many reasons. Enrolled my company with Angie's List and signed a 1 year contract. Angie's List merged with HomeAdvisor and by how the company is run and corrupt it is, it shows. So, after I enrolled with Angie's List, within the first month I got 1 inquiry and it was most likely fake, (something HomeAdvisor has done before merging) currently there is a class action suit against both Angie's List and HomeAdvisor for the same thing in 2018. Which I am looking into joining if they don’t leave me alone.

Anyway so I believe my first inquiry was fake by how the conversation went with the potential client. But that isn’t the main reason for complaint, it is just showing character of this company. So you pay to be on Angie's List, well after 10 months of getting absolutely no results whatsoever, I decided to inquire about canceling my agreement. Which after about 8 months I inquired by email about canceling and didn’t receive a response. Well finally after 10 months I decided to cancel. Was told it would be $90, 30% of the remainder of the contract which would be $250.

I only did very little advertising with them as a test run. And even though little, it still cost me over a grand for one fake lead in 10 months. Anyway, I canceled and not shocking as crooked as Angie's List is, they took $250 from my account, instead of the $90 that was told for early termination. Everything was documented with emails for the early termination fee and of course all documentation of bank records of them straight up stealing.

After making them aware and trying to just pay and be done, my sales rep was actually trying to make it like I owed the $250, after she herself said around $90 in an email, which 30% of 250 is a little shy of $90 which would be correct. But emails sent from her after they tried pencil whipping were to try and justify why it was $250 now, and if I only had 2 months left at $125 and was paying the early termination fee of 30% how could it possibly be $250 which would be the total remainder of the agreement. After a few emails I asked for a billing payment and summary for my total payment history to show her that they were pencil whipping me, which I knew, but wanted it in their own writing. Over 1 month for them to produce this after numerous emails back and forth.

Tried going on Angie's List to get my c/c info off there because 2 times in 3 days I had to call my bank and cancel their transaction when this first occurred. No way for me to access my account to delink my c/c info. It didn’t stop there, I warned them after having to cancel them 2 transactions and told them to delink my card. Well they didn’t, after 4 more attempts to charge my card, I ultimately called my bank and canceled the card. Got numerous emails from them after that they kept trying to charge my card and it wasn’t going through.

Of course it wasn’t, you tried stealing and got caught. Anyway, back to a beginning thing I pointed out. First 10 months I got 1 person to look at me on Angie's List, my second person was the very next day after I canceled. Now, just an assumption, but the timing of someone reaching out on Angie's List the very next day after I canceled, when for 10 months only 1 inquiry in the very beginning. Makes me wonder, did they attempt that so maybe I would change my mind on not canceling. LOL Most certainly in mine opinion. Thankfully I didn’t go the pay per click like other companies did only to get fake leads. FAKE LEADS and they wonder why there is a class action suit.

I gave the company the opportunity to walk away, they made 1k over 10 months for doing absolutely nothing to bring in leads. Guess if you're not paying for clicks, no reason until you cancel to give one a fake one. They got caught stealing, undisputable with all email and bank documentations. Held my credit card hostage, refused to furnish a billing and payment summary for months to hide their pencil whipping. Etc. They have done all this and so much more. Had me cancel credit cards, spend 3-4 hours dealing with emails back and forth, dealing with my bank.

For what, $250. They were told to walk away or my reviews on them would be posted. I didn’t want to spend time doing this and just wanted to be done, they claim I owe $160 cause I didn’t dispute the $90 with my bank and they got that, they are not owed more. And yet today I got a call from a collections department about it. So now it's time for me to post my reviews and complaints. They should of left it be, they got their money owed and still are insisting and harassing on money they are not due.

Rundown: 2 leads in 10 months, 1 in the beginning to make it like they generate something and 1 the day after I cancel service. Both most likely fake leads as they are being sued by numerous companies for that. Theft of money not due and holding credit card information after being told to delink it. Over a month of demanding a billing and payment history. Threats by them about affecting my credit in writing through email. Hours of dealing with this, my time is money as well. Anyone dealing with Angie's List and have been defrauded by fake leads and overcharged, should look into jumping on the class action suits against them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Do not join this company! The 888-888-5478 number DOES NOT WORK! It is a recording saying to go the website and click on CHAT... There is no CHAT button!! So they won't answer on the phone and the website is a dead end. This is a sign you should NEVER deal with a company does not respect it customers. What they are doing is ILLEGAL.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I signed on with AngiesList in August to help with my new cleaning business. As of today I have only got 1 lead with AngiesList. All my jobs come from word of mouth and me doing the footwork. They only want your money after that you never hear from them nor do they return calls. This was the worst decision that I could have ever made. As a new business paying $300 every month for absolutely nothing is a negative for me. Don't trust them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have had paid advertisement on Angie's List for a few years and recently at the beginning of this year (2018) they changed their website platform. They claim it's to get more people to actually become a member, but it's really transferring all the information to HomeAdvisor from Angie's List website so these people who think they are contacting just Angie's List are actually being contacted by HomeAdvisor before they can even become a member of Angie's List. In return this has dramatically decreased our volume of new business.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I'm a marketing professional who utilizes Google and Bing to generate leads for my clients. I'm very good at my job. Due to a client's request, I set his business up with advertising on AngiesList to bring him additional leads. The deal was a flop! For 6 months, it cost him $3,200 and generated about 6 leads, all but 1 were a waste of time. Thank goodness the one lead resulted in a job that paid for all of the AngiesList advertising. That's a terrible return on investment. I honestly believe the data that AngiesList quoted me was a lie. Don't waste your hard-earned money advertising on their website. They aren't even marketing themselves on TV anymore which is a sign that they're putting their business efforts elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Called One Sweep recommended by Angie's list. Came but said they would not do the job. Called another Angie's List Pro. Set up an appointment for a price. Did not show until called again. Set up appointment for the work. Did not show up. Not pleased with Angie's List.

AngiesList.com Company Information

1995
1030 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis
IN
www.angieslist.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.