1.17/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AngiesList.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

381 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Angie's List promised all these leads when it turns out they are selling all their leads to HomeAdvisor first which owns Angie's List. We were told they would call 5 of our customers for initial set up reviews and they only called two. So to this point 5 weeks later and 500 dollars later we have not received one call or lead. Angie's List already had a class action suit for similar issues.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

THEY DO NOT DESERVE A STAR!! I have never been so disappointed in the LACK OF SERVICE that Angie's List provides. This comes on the heels of them offering previous service for free and now they want me to pay for correcting bad information given by their reps. What happened? I was able to previously call in and they would work with me to correct mistakes on their website. Now, because I do not have a "contract", they will not even speak to me!!!! No notice, no nothing. Just a recording that says I have to pay to speak to someone to correct a mistake on their website!!! Not doing it! But am definitely doing this. Pulling all our information from them, will tell everyone I know not to call/use them!! And will share this with anyone who will listen...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I looked up some contractors on Angie's List, and now am getting calls from people I have not reached out to. I did not enter my phone number, but the callers say they got my phone number and address from Angie's List. STAY AWAY from Angie's List if you value your privacy!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I entered a contract and was told that I could still do paper pay. This was a lie. They have continued to enter my account even after I reminded them of the paper pay commitment by Dustin. The paid advertisement had multiple issues and communicated over 10 times on this and paper bill. I have been lied to stolen from and my contract breached... complete runaround and waste of money... I never received one call for work and have communicated that I could tell my ad was being block or not working. AngiesList never fixed or took care of issue. They just lie and canceled my contract after being paid.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I joined Angie's List when it was a free service but they started offering all of the services I originally agreed to for free and auto renewed my membership based on entirely new terms without notification. I am an attorney and was astonished by their deceptive practices. Have others been deceived in the same way? If so please contact me, I'm investigating filing a complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I canceled my Angie's List subscription last year, yet I was just charged for another year on my PayPal account. I tried to reach them by phone, but the auto system claims I don't have phone support, so I searched for an email address...they don't have one! What?! So...no way to speak to a "customer representative". I am disputing the charge with PayPal (a fantastic company). NOT ONE TIME did I receive help from Angie's List that was any closer to my home than 80+ miles! Usually No references. A complete and total waste of time and money. DON'T JOIN!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I got talked into paid advertising with Angie's List. I signed up for a contract, unfortunately, thinking Angie's List was reputable since it is well known. It is not reputable at all! Look at the scores that they got on this website; I believe it's 1.5 out of 10. After four months of receiving absolutely not one phone call for my paid advertising I called Angie's List to cancel. This occurred on January 8, 2018. I was told that they had canceled my paid advertising during that call and then I would have to pay 35% of what was left on the contract, $620. I explicitly told them not to take any money out of my account until I had spoken to somebody in their finance department as I was told I could make payments on the remaining balance which was $218. My monthly bill was due on the 27th of each month yet without my permission they took the $218 out of my account again without my permission on the 24th.

This was after 10 phone calls to them asking them if I could make the agreed-upon payment arrangements upon the remaining balance. I was told each time That no money would come out of my account until I had spoken to somebody. I what is additionally told that somebody would call me the next day yet nobody did. Each time I called - 10 Times - I had to go into the very long story of how I had canceled my contract, was told I could make payment arrangements, and that I was supposed to receive phone calls that I never received. They were very nice to me until they actually pulled the money out of my account and then their attitude changed completely.

On the 10th phone call I was told that, "Oh well that's too bad," (that they took the $218 out of my checking account without my authorization) as I had signed a contract. That they were allowed to take the full amount owed out of your checking account after three days of speaking to someone, yet nobody had told me during any of those 10 phone calls that this money would be taken out three days after talking to them. That, in the left-hand did not know what the right hand was doing, so to speak. These people are imbeciles - meaning that they took the money out of my Checking account without my authorization even though they swore up-and-down they would not do that, which bounced checks all over town and oh well that's too bad that's my problem, I was told.

Not only do not pay for paid advertising with Angie's List, run; do not walk away as these people are rip off artists and are scam artists that couldn't care less but their reputation is after they rip you off and they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever. They are sleazy, scumbag business operators. They have no scruples, no morals no ethics whatsoever. Do not get paid advertising with this horrible, unscrupulous so-called business.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I canceled the account twice before, but they keep billing every year. The service that I cancelled before and have not used in 3 years since long before 1st canceled. The contact phone numbers give a message that only special accounts can reach anyone by phone. The on-line makes you agree to their terms before even leaving a message. Paths to deal with their fraudulent charges are blocked unless you agree to their terms. I think they hope that most people will give up on a $30/year perpetual charge. Cute, an organization claiming to help prevent fraud that is fraudulent itself!

I now have to cancel my PayPal account to make sure they can't do this a 3rd time since PayPal make you prove that the charge is fraudulent, not making the seller prove the charge is currently agreed to even with no agreement to the terms they demand to even get to the website account. NEVER give Angie's List an account number to charge to! Even though I have not used the service in 3 years, I would now not even want any free referral they might propose.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I used Angie's List multiple times for services and vendors, having extremely negative experiences with these vendors (this was when subscriptions were required by Angie's List to obtain vendors/services). Angie's List also noted they would assist any customer with a bad service (which was on their list). WRONG!!! They mandate that if you seek help you MUST give the service a min of a B rating. One of the service providers was permitted to make false accusations against me, the customer, while I had provide them a good rating. I HAVE NO USE for Angie's List...contrived ratings DO NOT help the customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

This company Angie's List... is suppose to help professionals acquire business. They take money from you to start up. They are suppose to boost you business to get customers. They do nothing! We joined. We paid... waited 3 months. By the 3 month... absolutely nothing!!! We were told we were allowed a 3 month trial and could cancel... then they charged our CC over $200 for early cancellation fee. Said it was in the contract... bunch of BS. Out $500 and nothing to show for it or outcome. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY with Angie's List!!! Better off with HomeAdvisor if you're in construction etc.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I'm a VICTIM! Of AL. AL promise I was going to receive multiple calls daily since my business fit just right. Unfortunately AL is a SCAM!! I call to cancel because I was not getting any calls at all. They expect me to pay $265 a month without getting one single job. REALLY! I consider Angie's List a rip-off. Then I was told that if I cancel I had to pay 35% of the remaining balance. If not AL put me in collection because I had 1 year agreement with AL I was never told. That is a SCAM! DO NOT SIGN UP WITH AL.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

AngiesList does everything they can to keep you from cancelling. They show a phone number they do not answer and avoid answering by throwing up a gauntlet of prompts that keeps you from speaking to someone. They also list an e-mail address that is not valid.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

As many reviewers before me I fell a victim of AL promises. I was told I would receive multiple calls daily since my business fit just right into a specific niche. Unfortunately several months and several thousands of dollars later I received exactly zero calls. When I mentioned my frustration to the saleswoman, she kept saying that I needed more reviews. Funny, she didn't mention that while I was signing up. Now I feel ashamed that I fell for the oldest trick in industry: my hard earned money for a remote possibility that someone will have mercy and call me. What really hurts is the fact that AL tried to blame me for their failure by saying that I misunderstood how the system operated. Lesson learnt.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

During our first year of service with this despicable marketer, our business suffered financially every month due to its poor marketing service. Our business was paying out every month for services that never occurred on their behalf making them money and us losing money every month. We were marketing with AngiesList thinking it would generate real client leads but instead we were paying for false Leads and we were getting charged for it with no option for credit. They are stealing money from small business while getting more powerful with no options of suing them. Take it from us, Please do not spend.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Was a paying member of this service which purports to provide credible professionals and they sell "deals" of multiple contractors. Trouble is, these people they recommend do not respond and don't provide service for price within expiration date. So pay 399.00 for a painter for a day and it expires in 6 months. The painter can't fit you in within 6 months. So if you want service after, they can charge you anything more for you to get the 399.00 credit... I lost 1200 dollars with this company that has open cases at Attorney General's office. STAY AWAY, HomeAdvisor is free and you can interact with the contractor before paying.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The service was very good, Joey is a very professional person and arrived in time to the appointment, the stump grinding was done good and quickly as he promised. I would recommended him to my friends.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Angie's List is very misleading. Don't waste $3000 a year to advertise with them and not get any results. Not one lead from their site and they're saying after the great sales pitch they gave us that our business is going to burst with calls, that we aren't listing enough reviews, the contract don't mentioned how many needs to be listed. They want to take credit (reviews) from other advertisements that we paid for. Don't seem like fairness to me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Angie's List is a disgrace. I see no evidence that she even evaluates those companies she accepts on her list. Just try to call Jiffy Appliance Repair who she recommends. You can't even get through on the ph# shown on either of their sites. Worst of worst. This is just one of the fly by night operators she promotes. Angie made a decent name for herself, but in my opinion, has sold out for the lucre. Sleep Well.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

They promise new companies and companies looking for business leads and great advertising but fail to deliver in every aspect. After you complain they that you signed a contract so you have to pay the remaining months left. Basically they tell you they don't have to deliver on their end but you have to deliver on your end. Stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Avoid Angie's List "Deals." I dealt with two different contractors who either would not schedule, or kept rescheduling, appointments until I was beyond the 30-day refund window. AL was of no help in getting my money back from these unscrupulous contractors. They will sponsor these businesses, but are of no help in getting work performed. I am done with AL.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been a subscriber to Angie's List for years and gotten many good providers from the site. However, in recent years, it has been almost impossible to sign on, much less find or review providers. Moreover, unless you have an "upgraded" account, it is impossible to speak to a representative and are told by an automated system to sign in to "chat" with a representative. If I were able to sign in, I wouldn't have to call anyone or "chat" with a representative. I have advised providers that I wished to review that it is impossible to post a review, since the Angie's List website is the most difficult site to sign onto of any review platforms.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was using the service but then moved. A few months later, they removed service from my area and did not offer a refund of the balance of the year. Furthermore, they then went ahead and auto charged me another annual subscription fee even though there was still no service being provided. When contacted, they refused to refund the charge even after explaining that it was their decision not to offer service in my area.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Angie's List has an integrity department! Got a one and only questionable review in 3 years of free membership plan on Angie's on my listing page. I am a small business and I know every customer I deal with. I don't know this person at all. Angie's List offered no assistance in trying to verify if it was legitimate, no mediation, no opportunity for me to oppose. Said they have no way to contact the person and no email address for the person who wrote the review, but nonetheless the review would remain forever. Told me I couldn't cancel the account and nothing could be done about it.

Told me to have others write a review and those reviews would drown out the bad one and lift my score. 5 people wrote positive reviews and AL won't post them. They stated they need those persons' history of addresses, all names used, all email addresses used, etc. BEFORE they would allow a review to post. Well why would they need all of that for a positive review, but have no information on the person writing the negative review? I believe AL discriminates against non-paid memberships as a way to get you to pay money to get their attention. Fishy Fishy! Angie's list is a joke. Integrity is a joke! No leads. No business generated from the site. Just one big headache from ever stumbling across this company. Curiosity in AL killed the cat for sure!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I signed up and left a review for a local tech/IT company that helped us with our business and the network. I also started using Angie's List to find a remodeler as well for my home. I received an email asking for additional PERSONAL information "including but not limited to, permanent or previous addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and/or last names." This information is none of Angie's List's business and they have no right or reason to ask for this. I wanted to help a local company that did great work for my business but now if feels like a complete mistake and invasion of personal privacy going to Angie's List.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Have you heard the commercials? Angie's List is now FREE to use! LIARS. Don't even bother calling when they auto-charge your card for a refund, just write it off as stolen money. You could hear the delight in the "support" rep's words saying there's no reason to refund anything. Worthless service, bogus/enhanced listings. Still overpriced if they give it away.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Used Angie's List to try to find a contractor, who gave me a line of nonsense a mile long. Never showed up to give an estimate. Left a negative review and he replied with misstatements. This guy gets an A on Angie's list. I called Angie's List yesterday to cancel my membership. You are better off by calling a contractor who advertises in the local newspaper and having them come out to give a free estimate. I do not in any way trust the reviews in Angie's List and wouldn't be surprised if many are fake.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After maybe two or three years of good relations with AL, I have had several complaints over the years along with many more outstanding reviews and have made top 5 contractor awards five years in a row. However I did have a couple of bad reviews over a 5 year period which never go away and are always calculated in your rating that placed me in a B category which no will call the B guy. Consequently I get no calls from AL yet they still want their money, yet some of the bad reviews that are on my profile are from one, a client I had to put a lien on his property because the jobs complete but he still owes me over $12,000.00 and I had no choice but to file a lien, yet his review stands on AL as legitimate complaint, another one is from a homeowner that got a full refund with a settlement stating he was not allowed to slander me yet his review still stands.

I truly believe AL has unleashed a monster they can't contain. I have been a faithful and professional contractor with AL and I come with over 37 years of experience and I have never had to deal with this type of nonsense in my entire career. If you value your reputation and want to protect your reputation you have no say so in the matter when it comes to AL, they are only concerned with how they can shove their scam down consumers throats for more money.

I saw this coming over two years ago when I started getting calls from numerous other lead generators with better results and let AL know that this train wreck was headed their way, what I didn't even consider was AL figuring that choking the very people doing the service they advertise to provide was somehow going to keep them afloat now that the train wreck was on them. Does anyone even know that the owner of HomeAdvisor was on AL board of directors until he tried to buy AL out, their biggest competitor on the board of directors??? Sounds like a bunch of politicians that I do not and will not ever be a part of ever again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

When I was looking into signing up I was told that I would get about 2 or 3 calls a day because of the volume that they get in my Industry. After 2 weeks I did not get ANY Calls so I called and asked why. I was then told that I had to have at least 5 Reviews before I get listed after I paid them. I called my customers that were supposed to give my reviews and I was told that they tried but it was too complicated. I did have 2 customers that went all the way through the review process and Angie's List told me that they were rejected???

I called and asked why they were rejected and was told that they didn't know why and would look into it?? So now I am locked into a contract for $100 a month with a company that is not willing to help me figure out how to make this work as promised. I tried to get in touch with the guy that made the promises and he won’t talk to me?? Learn from my mistake and STAY AWAY from this company. It is funny how they have it to where you can't give them a review on their site??

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Tried to use it to find a contractor. I used the one that was at the top of the list, with "A" rating and the Angie's List Certification. It was completely inaccurate. The contractor was dishonest and predatory. I had to hand the service provider his jacket and ask him to leave my house. I contacted Angie's List to see if they vet the services providers before they Certify them, and they do not. Anyone can submit a review, so you cannot tell if they are real or fake. A high rating and Angie's List Certification has no meaning.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Angieslist member prices are BS. You are not getting any kind of a deal using them. If you call the company that you found on Angieslist yourself and ask them what they charge for the service the price is the same or lower. Angieslist makes the Original Price higher so that when you see the member pricing you think you're getting a good deal but in reality you're paying what the company normally charges.

AngiesList.com Company Information

www.angieslist.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use