AngiesList.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Angieslist member prices are BS. You are not getting any kind of a deal using them. If you call the company that you found on Angieslist yourself and ask them what they charge for the service the price is the same or lower. Angieslist makes the Original Price higher so that when you see the member pricing you think you're getting a good deal but in reality you're paying what the company normally charges.

Notice that they have figured out how to hide the top provider in my profession by only showing my business in one zip code based on our last review and they are removing all of our reviews and company information. All I can say is this does not look good for them if this is the only way they can force a business to advertise. I was going to take the year off and see how it went because with the free membership all I got was people wanting free estimates off pictures. Now I will put all my money on other referral systems. Google, Yelp and Facebook. It was very good, now Angies List is not, at all!

I hired the top rated appliance repair (capital appliance repair) per Angie's List, and after getting terrible service, I posted a negative review. The owner of the repair shop (who had full view of all my personal information, including home address) then went to my personal web page and gave me a negative review in return. I informed Angie's List that I was retaliated against and they DID NOTHING. I then went back to the original listing and saw that this "A" rated business also had 17 "F" ratings, yet Angie's List still gave them an "A" because they had many positive reviews. I canceled my membership.

Seriously, Angie's List is now offering a webinar about online reputation being offered from Angie's List. You have got to be kidding. Angie's List supports end users abuse of review and complaint process in order to promote a reputation marketing service for business owners. Angie's List created the problem by allowing and supporting an end user to use the "give me my money back or else" practice, by not providing our company with the ability to be fairly and ethically support our position, then locked us out of our online account, and then offering a webinar to promote their "reputation marketing" seminar!

This is the same as tagging buildings then offering a graffiti removal service! Our Company, has received ten years of positive reviews (over 300) and tens years of multiple super service awards, was unfairly targeted by an end user who used the "give me my money back or else" practice with Angie's List. We stood our ground for ethical and moral reasons against abuse from an end user, were not supported by Angie's List even with endless discussions, emails and attempts to be fairly treated by Angie's List, and are now locked out of our online account, unless we accept terms and conditions which are unfairly one-sided.

Based on our reputation - recipient of over ten years of super service awards in multiple categories, Angie's List should have handled this situation differently. Based on the fact that we have paid up to $60,000 JUST TO BE SEEN by our customers on Angie's List, which was only possible by earning over ten years of super services awards in multiple categories, Angie's List should have handled our experience differently.

In the end, we learned; 1. Angie's List supports end users who abuse the review process, 2. Angie's List allows and supports end users to utilize the "give me my money back or else" tactics, 3. Angie's list fails to provide business owners with a fair and equal opportunity to be represented when such abuse occurs which places and unfair advantage on Business Owners resulting in tarnished reputations leading to money lost in missed sales, 4. Angie's List prevents business owners who are also clients of Angie's List from access to their accounts unless the business owners accept one-sided and unrealistic terms and conditions.

For the above-mentioned reasons, Angie's List webinar on "reputation marketing" as it relates to practices of Angie's List related to the review posting and handling of the complaints, doesn't really make sense. Also, it is evident at this point that Angie's List is still trying to find another revenue stream in order to stay relevant in today's market. American Drain Works is a small company who has been adversely affected by Angie's List most recent handling of an abuse by an end user and the current appearance and posting of the negative review and response. And, at current, we are not able to access our account. As such, Angie's List has earned an "F" rating from our small company.

As a small company, our client's rely on us to provide a service that they can respect and trust. As owners, we, the business owners, make an effort to meet with 99.99% of our clients with our staff, and we work hard along with loyal our staff to take care of our clients. Our clients are proud to have "a women owned plumbing company" take care of their plumbing problems. They feel safe, comfortable and we have become an extended part of many client families. When we have not met our client's expectations we work to make it right. We can not make everyone happy, although we try. There are times when the review process is used against us, regardless of what we have done to make it right from the beginning. We will not support companies who support and encourage end users to abuse our reputation as Angie's List has done.

After discussion with a few reputation marketing companies, it has been recommended to us to eliminate Angie's List from the list of sites to focus on and instead focus on the newer sites and locations where end users are sourcing to find a service company they and rely on and trust. If Angie's List fails to reach the expectations of their clients, as they have with our company, a loyal supporter of Angie's List for years, then there is no point to utilizing Angie's List as a platform in today's market.

They renewed my membership without even receiving my permission or telling me what credit card account they would be charging. As soon as I saw the unknown charge on a card I hadn't used in more than 6 months, I panicked, fearing that someone might have used my card, perhaps even stole my identity. Finally, I find out who charged me. I try to get in touch with them by phone but they won't pick up because my membership plan does not permit this. I find an email address and email them demanding a refund, only to find that membership fees are non-refundable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

I purchased two hour electrician time for $89. I was referred to an electrician for the job that specifically required to change a wall power outlet. Electrician said it would cost $275 and if I want them I should call back. I didn't call them and did the job myself for $8. Called Angie's list for reimbursement since the job was not done and electrician never came to my house. I called Angie's list and they referred me to the electrician who said he never charged my account and Angie's list charged my account. Both refusing to return my money. What a scam Angie's list is. Never purchase service from them.

I called to put my company on AngiesList.com thinking we would generate leads. Spoke to a rep thinking he would be aware of my needs. We are a small mom and pop company. I thought I was signing a background check and instead he says I signed a contract which I did not think I was. My account was charged 16,999.99 which ruined my company. Was on Dallas and was not able to work or pay my employees. I call. They say "You have a contract" and they threatened my credit. Instead of growing it ruined us.

We worked very hard for our 5 star rated company compared to their 1 star and was completely blind sided. This is not for a small business wanting to grow and is a scam. So now we have nothing after all the years of blood sweat and tears. We are left with nothing and actually stuck in Dallas having to get a loan. Devastated is not even the answer. They are crooks and do not even give one lead. They do not do proper background checks or do good business. I begged to just redo my contract still trying to rip us off not even in my company's best interest. I am doing all I can to turn them over with the reps to Better Business Bureau and whatever I can do. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU LIKE GIVING OUT MONEY WITH NO RETURN. They will not return my calls now.

I have been a contractor working in the northern Virginia area for more than 20 years. In the past 3 years had a bad experience with a couple of unfair customers. The first one demanded that I continue to replace T1-11 siding boards when I had already replaced 30 boards and the contract stated about 18 to be replaced so they offered me to keep working and at the end they will pay me an extra $500 which I did not believe them because I found out by a neighbor that they had some issues with a previous contractor and they left, so they wrote a bad review to AngiesList.

So we went thru the dispute process but all that this company does is influence you to accept the customer's offer which I did not. The customers sued me for the entire contract amount which I only got half as downpayment so when we went to court the judge after presenting my evidence ruled in my favor so I contacted AngiesList with the proof that the court ruled in my favor and they refused to remove the review stating that only the customer can remove it. My question is: what recourse does a contractor has when someone can simply slander someone's reputation besides suing the customer? It is totally unfair and biased system, it is only based on paying members. In my 20 years working never had issues with anyone and I do not advertise, just word of mouth keeps me busy because I take care of my customers.

I was a member of Angie's List years ago. Recently they discontinued their service fee. However they kept my old account and still are charging my card 24.99.

No one responds on their online live customer questions. Unable to cancel.

I have been trying to find a roofer, thinking AngiesList.com would be an unbiased source to weed out the good from the bad. AngiesList itself has become the biggest source of bias on their website. After an internet search, I found a company and I thought I'd see its ratings and reviews on AngiesList. While the company is on AngiesList, it has not received any reviews for some 4 years. What was more disturbing is the header that was placed on the company page: "In an ongoing effort to provide members with the best experience with our service, AngiesList has set specific criteria that need to be met in order to be included in general searches. This provider does not meet, or has not yet met, some or any of AngiesList's criteria; therefore the provider is being withheld from category and keyword searches." It is at AngiesList discretion to update or remove this message and exclusion.

This greatly concerned me. What on earth did this company do? I felt this company was a very good prospect. After my List of good prospects dwindled, I searched for how this could happen to a company on AngiesList. What I discovered was eye opening. NBC Chicago did a story that not only proved contractors lied about their required licensing and still became AngiesList certified, but it also revealed that if a company comes into a dispute with AngiesList, that company will receive the same heading quoted above, effectively blacklisting the company and further damaging the company.

A licensed company complained to AngiesList about the money spent advertising and the loss of customers because of the numerous companies who lied about being licensed and provided the same services at unrealistic low prices. This company now is in dispute with AngiesList and AngiesList has put the header quoted above on his webpage. Well, I contacted the roofing company I am interested in and asked them about their experience with AngiesList that led them to being essentially blacklisted. They said they just stopped advertising with them and do not know about being blacklisted. This also demonstrates that AngiesList is not neutral or even honest.

Signed up as a consumer to get accurate ratings of contractors. After looking at several, I started receiving numerous emails wanting me to review or let them know if I used a certain contractor. I finally used one that I found on the list and I found them to be good. I then proceed to give them a good review. After being inundated with annoying emails from various people working for Angie's List, they wouldn't accept my review until I gave them previous addresses where I lived and more personal information in addition to what I had already provided when I signed up. I told them they had enough of my information to which they told me I couldn't review the contractor with providing more.

AngiesList has court documents showing that a customer of mine is not to write any reviews in regards to a job I completed for her. I provided AngiesList this document and they refuse to take the review down. This court document indicates that my company Flawless Arborist is a victim and Donna is slandering my company on every website that she can. I want the bad review taken down today. AngiesList you have everything you need to see that this review is not accurate.

I am a contractor in Michigan and contacted Angie's List to try to get more leads, after speaking to one of their representatives a few times I decided that it wasn't the right choice for my company because they wanted me to sign a year contract with them. I let them know that the contract was my issue and that I wasn't interested unless I could get into a shorter term contract. They kindly let me know that was my only option.

Lo and behold I got a follow up call about 2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in setting advertising up with them, I let them know-again - my issues with the contract and I got the "well why didn't you say something?" From there the lady let me know she could do 6 months and it would be the same price as the 1 year contract as well. I agreed and asked them to call me at a more convenient time. Once I got the call back - it was the lady I originally spoke with that told me they don't any contracts that are less than a year- she started reading me the contract conditions. Included in this was obviously the price I would be spending each month aaannddd it went up almost 50%... Mind you I was told the price would not change with the shorter contract...

I should have called it quits at that point but she was able to talk to her "manager" and get me the original price with the short term contract. I signed up, it's been nearly 3 weeks I have not gotten a single lead from them. In fact I have gotten more from a free craigslist ad. I was told when I first started talking to them that they had had "400 inquiries" in my area in my line of work "this month and only 4 contractors". I called today to speak with their "customer success team" and their best advice was to get a bigger advertising area a.k.a. Pay them more money, I declined and asked them to just change my coupon, then got on my profile to check and the changes were incorrect and did not make sense. The only useful tool I have gotten from Angie's List is the ability to let my customers review me publicly and that part is free! I advise spending your marketing money elsewhere.

I was a long time member of Angie's List. I then decided to cancel since I didn't use it for a couple of years. I was talked into having a membership for $5. I agreed to that on the condition that it would not autorenew. They guaranteed that it wouldn't. I just found the charge on my credit card for $9.99. I called them and they said they won't issue a refund because I didn't cancel on time. My account was set to not renew. Apparently, all accounts were changed to auto renewal within this past year.

The person from Angie's List said: "I apologize if the auto renewal caught you off guard. By default, when you sign up for a membership online, the membership renews automatically. We started automatic renewal for the convenience of our members, based on their feedback, so they wouldn't need to contact us every time they wanted their account to continue."

I recently canceled my contract two months shy of renewal. When I initially signed up to pay Angie's List their high monthly fee, it was with the intent that I could gain a some a few new customers and that it would be a win, win situation. They stated clearly that with this monthly fee that they would list my company at the top of their list as well as let me offer coupons that were completely in my control. To understand clearly, they said that I was on a contract and would have control. They changed this rule 2/3 of the way through the agreement and they wouldn't let me post the sales that were complimentary to my business. They instead have become more like a company that sends large blasts of spam out for the business' that pay however, they take their monthly payment and a large portion of the payment of the services that were rendered and purchased from their site.

I could see Angie's List having the potential to throw a few good companies under the bus. My company is a highly rated company across the board, even on Angie's List, however, recently their review practice has changed. They now let any biased individual who has never done business with a business listed on Angie's List makes a complaint or a merely state their opinion. It could be your rival, it could be a disgruntled employee, it could be an honest person. Once your business is in Angie's Lists hands, you are subjecting your hard work and business to good people and predators alike. And, the most unfortunate thing about Angie's List is that they sit back, push a button to send mass emails and then collect thousands of dollars off of the sweat and hard work of all the national business' who fallen into this internet pit.

It's also unfortunate that when you go to Angie's List, you are sometimes getting uneducated, opinionated comments, (not actual reviews) and with this, ever so judging country we have become, those who are simply having a bad day could easily put someone out of business. I highly recommend that if you own a business, NEVER pay Angie's List for a listing. There are unscrupulous people out there who cannot tell the difference between writing an actual review of services rendered versus sharing their biased and unfactual opinion. They need to change their name so that it will closely represent their company. It should be called, Angie's List Opinions, and comments from strangers who have never done business with the listed business at all.

I am a small business owner in Orlando Fl. I was looking where to put my company name out there. I tried HomeAdvisor for 1 month and was a totally waste of money!! Do not put your business in HomeAdvisor. They charge $25 per lead. I got 16 leads. Only 1 job were performed out of 16. The rest no contact at all and they still charged me. So I start doing researches and found AL. So I've been concern about the scam from HA, wouldn't let AL fools me, so they start selling me dreams that they're gonna put my name on top of the list of my category if I get at least 5 reviews from past customers. I asked if they have an offer before I sign the contract and she told me yes they do offer 3 month FREE after you pay the full year agreement. LMAO wth!!! Doesn't make sense at all. She start putting pressure to me to pay and trying to avoid my questions. Thanks God I left my wallet in my car because almost I sign that.

So I start looking for this kinds of reviews what I didn't did before I sign with HA and found all this bad revs. Omg. Thanks to all of you for saving me $$. I haven't and I will not do ads with AL. I'm still looking where to and I found Vistaprint and I'm doing very good. Thanks to them. If you have another good ad company please feel free to share it with me. Once again thanks for the advice.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Angie's List for her new ad campaign that taught my grandson how to flush a stuffed animal down the toilet. I'm sure these commercials get a chuckle or two in the boardroom and probably has generated a few sales for your preferred contractor clients (particularly plumbers) but it sure as heck has made my life a little bit miserable. So please, as you continue with cutesy ads. No commercials involving sharp objects, permanent markers, food stuffs in electronics or any other destructive behavior that can influence a minor. Thanking you in advance.

I should have read all review about Angie's list before I became a member and put my company name on their profile. I'm blown away by their flat out lies and business practice. If a referral company as large as Angie's list cannot be honest with business they do business with then what can anyone do to show consumer they are a good company. I bought into a ad they ran for 268.00 a month for a spot in the top 25 contractor for a area and for a month I got not one call. So I call them and they tell me before it start I have to have at least 5 referral and I only had 3. Wow I said I wish I would have know this before I joined and spent 268 of my money on nothing.

So I told them I did not want to pay anymore till I got to 5 referral and then they tell me it's a contract for a year and I will be honest - I went by what the lady told me I was signing was a background check of who we are and I did not read it at all. It was a contract. I was very mad at myself for this. That being said I told the rep that how could you make someone pay for something they can't use and his reply was "I understand but it's a contract". So I did not pay it and now they took my company info down and I've not heard a word back and no reply. Be very very very careful with them and don't believe anything a rep tells you. Too many issue.

I went online, hired a cleaning service, was IMMEDIATELY charged for that service, and then spent the next week trying to track down the service provider. NOTHING...zero response. Angie's List should be ashamed to allow service providers to advertise deals without checking on that provider. After the provider ignored 4 emails, I contacted Angie's List and asked for a full refund. Now, I have to wait another week to get that refund. Basically, with Angie's List, you rely on them to provide you with names of trustworthy providers, and then they take your money and you are on your own to try to track down the service. WASTE of time and terrible way to run a company.

I signed up on Angie's List yesterday and afterwards I found some disturbing things about the company, so I choose it to be better to stay from Angie's List. I called this morning to cancel my contract with them, they were very rude about it, try to tell me I couldn't cancel and refused to refund my money. I would say 238 dollars for 24 hours is a bit harsh. So if you are a contractor and looking to increase call volume beware once you sign up. They will hold you responsible. I choose Angie's List because I was told they were better than HomeAdvisor. Well, HomeAdvisor done me wrong and so did Angie's so I am done working with companies like this.

I am so disappointed to hear that Angie's List charges recommended businesses to be on their lists. I thought Angie got her money from charging customers for referrals. I recommended a very good air conditioning business and was so unhappy to hear that he was going to be charged to be on Angie's list.

I received an F review from a former pissed off client who tried to hold me responsible for an area of expertise I am not licensed to perform, nor did he pay. Client did not order or refused the common practice of obtaining a WDO/termite inspection prior to closing on his property. 5 months later he tries to black mail me - stating I should have reported termite damage which 1) I was performing a basic home inspection, not a termite inspection, 2) termite inspections are only performed by a licensed pest control operator, client was aware of this at the time of inspection, 3) he submits photos on the Angie's List review board, which I can't counter with my own photos at time of inspection.

Any termite professional knows that they even check off all areas of attic are not visible and typically after 30 days. This is on top of all the low ballers coming out of the woodwork as Angie's continually oversells ADV space - allowing competitors to under cut each other. It is not worth doing business with Angie's List any further.

I am a contractor on Angie's List and I have an account with them. As of today I have 6 reviews, but when I log in on Angie's List and search for my business I do not show up in the results... I see all kind of other businesses including (after search result 5 or 6) businesses that are not even in the same industry as I am.

I called Angie's List and asked them: "Why when I type the name of my business I do not see our business in the search results, we have 6 reviews, all of them are A's, 100% customer satisfaction, and would recommend and/or rehire me?" The customer rep responded that if we do not pay we do not appear in the search results. This means that when YOU want to hire a contractor and search on Angie's List you will not necessarily find the contractors with the best rating, but the ones that pay to be on the search results!! Do not trust Angie's Reviews. They clean up the names of companies that pay well and disregard those that do not pay them.

The company I work for was notified by a client that we had a review with an "F" grade on Angie's List. I went to the site and saw that it was posted the exact day that a disgruntled former employee left the company. He also mentioned information that would have never been mentioned by a client because it is, in fact, false information. We never serviced him at all.

I contacted Angie's list numerous times and got the runaround. They said that I'd have to provide this former employee's employment information in order for us to prove that it was him. Funny stuff. We then asked them to just remove the entire listing of our company as we had never listed ourselves anyway, and they did it without our permission, but they refuse to remove it. After reading all these complaints on this site with similar situations and all the false reviews... it sounds to me like someone should initiate a class action lawsuit. It's about time something is done about this bogus company that is ruining business for so many.

I'm writing this to warn you against making the same mistake I did. Since joining I tried using their referrals for numerous jobs around my home with no success. What I've found was referrals to overpriced services from contractors were consistent no matter what I was looking for. This is fine and it's my right to decline and continue searching elsewhere but since joining I've received solicitations by phone twice and by email daily, both NOT what I signed up for! Do yourself a favor and do not make the same mistake I did by actually paying them to become a nuisance to me. Their emails; they've stooped so low as to send emails occasionally with an alert type subject Account needs attention. Pathetic.

I purchased landscaping 3D design through Angie's List online. The local landscaping contractor contacted me, and I made an appointment with them. A guy showed up and spent 3 minutes on my lot, then left. The company asked if I was interested in hiring them to do the landscaping job. I told them that I had to see their design first. They never gave me the design I paid. I emailed them and called them so many times asking them to email me the design if they didn't have time to come.

Eventually, I called Angie's List. Told them what happened. They said they would help me to get my money back, but I never received refund so I called Angie's list again, and found out that they closed my case without refunding me. I kept calling and I paid for service in September 2016. Now I have not received service and would not receive refund. Over all, this company is not honest and is not reliable. The contractor they assigned to you would only care about money. Stay away from Angie's List no matter how good their deals sound.

Sneaky practices by Angie's List. I sent them a payment by mail through Bill pay but they sent back the check and tried to bill my credit card instead. Causing me to pay more interest instead of taking my bill pay check. The bank has not giving me back the credit money until I prove where Angie's List made a mistake... They say that it was my fault when the whole thing is their fault and are demanding payment. I am out 119.76 and they want me to pay them 119.76. ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS TAKE THE BILL PAY CHECK IN THE FIRST PLACE. DISGUSTED!!!

I was a member of AngiesList since 2014. I was not using the service so I therefore called consumer service to cancel my membership on October 15, 2015. However, on April 23, 2016 I discovered my service was not cancelled as requested. I was unaware that I was being charged $29 monthly for the past 6 months. I contacted AngiesList consumer service for an explanation, I told they never received a cancellation request. Then he proceeded to try to sell me a more expensive package (GOLD PACKAGE). I had interrupt the gentleman several times to get him to RE-cancel my service and a refund. I will only be refunded $29 in 2 weeks.

This is a complete joke. My business signed up to get more service leads and 3 months go by and not a single lead. Paid $300 to join and another $300 a month for 3 months and still ZERO leads. I canceled and they go on to tell me I have a 12 month agreement. I was never told I had a 12 month agreement. And even if there was an agreement I received ZERO leads. So I cancel and they go on to tell me I will be charged $1000 to cancel. And they charged me. So now I will be fighting this company to the end. Worthless-don't buy into the bs business owners. It's a scam. No wonder they make 83 million in revenue a year.

By chance I found a negative review from a person I never did any work for or bid any project from. I contacted Angie's List and they tell me that because their client won't respond back to them they have to leave it up. I now wonder if even their positive reviews are trustworthy. I have been in business since 1985 and have had only happy clients.

AngiesList.com Company Profile