1.12/5
Based on 71 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

408 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 30, 2018

AngiesList.com sent “professional” for $150 who did NOTHING! I asked for pest control. Came out with big bill for visit and bigger estimate to rid of one bug nest. Total rip off. Fraud. Never use AngiesList. Second bad experience where we paid for someone who could not help. Can’t believe AngiesList is not shut down by Feds.

Original review: May 28, 2018

WHAT CHANGED??? I have advertised through AngiesList for the last 5 years (2013-2018) for my 12 year old landscaping company. I’m currently paying them $1000 a month and getting ZERO RESULTS. Each year I continue to increase my monthly advertising due to the success I’ve had until NOW... I can’t handle the BS excuses I received in the last six months to why am getting zero results or calls or emails.

Ever since they were acquired by HOMEADVISOR at the end of 2017 the results have STOPPED. I’ve talk to my account rep and multiple supervisors over the last six months and they keep giving me the runaround and bogus computer data feedback telling me I’m getting 130 hits per month. TOTAL BS! I was even invited to their 2017 Las Vegas party for being in the top 2% of my industry in the country for the landscaping industry... ever since the announcement at the Las Vegas party of the acquisition between Home Advisor and AngiesList the results have literally been nonexistent. They continue to bill me $1000 a month and take no responsibility or real care for any results given. I would stay away from this scam and avoid these two companies at all cost. Use your advertising budget in a way that actually produces results for your business.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I signed my business up with AngiesList five months ago and have never revived one call. Good thing my business is taking off on its own and I don’t need them. They are trying to put me in Collections for not paying my deactivation bill. I also switched accounts on them so they cannot bill me anymore. This is the company that used to be good back in the early years and now is complete **! Do not sign up with them. Save yourself the headache and try to put that money into advertising on your own. You will be much better. Take it from me. Learned the hard way. I do not have any intention of ever paying these people any money. They are a bunch of Thieves and scoundrels.

Original review: May 22, 2018

When they called me to sell me their service they promised the world. I have been with them for about 9 months now with no leads whatsoever, I even tried to request a contractor in my area. 4 contractors from Home Advisor called me, and on Angie's List website it showed all kind of contractors but it did not show my company's name. I called them to cancel. They want to charge me 35% of the remaining balance for the year, I am thinking of taking them to court if I get enough people to join me. I think we can get them to refund our money, they a big scam. If you have not joined them don't do it. Run away as fast as you can from them because if you don't they will take your money and run with it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was promised the world. I was talked into 300 a month. Once signed could not reach the person who signed me up. I'm with them for three months so far. Not one lead. Do not deal with them. If I can stop another person from joining through this post I'll be happy. Biggest scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: May 14, 2018

Have been members for many years. Just this year that were bought by the people who own HomeAdvisor. This caused us to pay for the same lead twice. Once for HomeAdvisor and once for Angie's List. Was told this was not so and if we wanted to cancel our contract they would charge us a cancellation fee. DON'T use Angie's List. HomeAdvisor is so much better with GOOD customer service. I would never refer anyone to Angie's List.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Angie’s List is a sorry company and shadow of what it once was, After they changed their business model, billing and charging contractors and workers. Then opening up their services to the basic public an unsavory characters, my experiences with them have really gone downhill and my experiences with the customers that are now using their services been aggravating.

When complaining in resolving issues with problematic customers seems only work for short period of time and once you have a dispute with them to go and search out bad reviews and post them again, even though the complaints were resolved and Business can go on as before. The type of service they provide is totally unnecessary in this day and age. It’s a antiquated service and a better response could be gotten elsewhere. I find them to be untrustworthy and the customers and consumers that use their service are mostly unsavory and have bad intentions. Please let them die and wither on the vine.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Our small company has been trying to cancel the contract that was created by an ex business partner and we are constantly given the runaround and are told we would have to pay a percentage to cancel the contract with Angie's List. They are taking money from our company for doing nothing. We have not had one client or even a lead from Angie's List but they continue to get their money every month. They are definitely not trying to help your business by any means. I have resorted to Twitter to contact someone and get this resolved. PLEASE DO NOT JOIN ANGIE'S LIST if you are a small business or any business for that matter. They are not a reputable company and will do anything they can not to cancel your contract with them.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am a manager for a custom cabinetry and construction business. One of our potential clients informed us we had a negative review on Angie'sList. We pulled up the review and it mentioned the name of two "employees" we had never even heard of and how the work was awful and they "took advantage of a widow". The scathing review had been up there over a year. I called Angie'sList and the person I spoke to was arrogant and rude. I asked him don't they contact the business before they put up damaging reviews. His response was "I hardly think one bad review would be damaging". Well, it was the only review so, yes, it is damaging. He then went on to say they only confirm the reviews if you ask them to. Unbelievable! I think that is their way of forcing you to join and advertise with them. People, please call the BBB if you have a complaint.

They will contact the business to let them know there is a problem and give the chance to dispute a complaint and will list their findings. Angie'sList is a hack site where a competitor can write and make up anything they want to and the other business will never have any idea unless someone tells them. This review was totally fraudulent and given by someone we had never done business with. The Better Business Bureau has been around for many, many years and is a very reputable organization. Angie'sList will do and say anything for a buck. The "referrals" they give you are from companies that pay them to promote their business. I cannot believe this site has not been sued for libel... but then again maybe they have. If you want an accurate review contact the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am the top service provider for my industry, in my city. I have earned numerous super service awards and was even invited to Las Vegas for a party! The reason for this review is because while at the party a representative from Angie's List announced that they sold out to HomeAdvisor. I recently signed a contract with them and now I can't get out! The service is horrible!

My representative "Molly **" has done nothing but cause us more problems. She will not return my calls and has put a red flag on my company's profile so I can't get any more clients from this lead source. They have threatened to put another red flag on my profile if I do not keep paying them money! She is causing my company to go out of business and taking food from my family and employees! I really do not know how she sleeps at night! I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to use any provider from them or HomeAdvisor for that matter, they are the same company! Stand clear and try Yelp.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I needed a plumber and decided to use Angie's List. I wanted to find plumbers in my area, read reviews, and contact the plumbers I was interested in. I went through the Angie's List set of questions for the area I needed the plumber. Angie's List asked if I wanted to be contacted by plumbers and I marked NO. Within two minutes of submitting my request to find a plumber, I started getting phone calls from plumbing companies. This lasted for days and with one plumbing company that called regularly, it lasted for weeks. I did not want companies calling me and even though I marked no, Angie's List sent out my contact details and companies contacted me. I will never use Angie's List again because I want to decide who I want to reach out to.

Original review: April 13, 2018

They put you on auto renew and won't stop trying to charge your card. You can't even call them with a regular membership. I'm having trouble logging in and can't do anything to cancel without logging in. AngiesList.com are hypocrites and judge other companies when they are the worst.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Contractor serving his area for 40 years. Signed up with Angie's List to get my name out there close to two years ago. Not a single phone call or lead from the service. Recently lost a job of high value due to a bad review posted on my profile. A review Angie's List never notified me on or can verify. I have been in business for 40+ years never had a bad review in Better Business Bureau and if there was an issue I was contacted. I contacted Angie's List about these fraudulent reviews they took one down and refused to take the other one down due to the inability on their end to contact the user.

So an un-verified un-answered review stays on my account. A review that happened around the same time I started the account and wasn't made aware of until I recently lost work because of it. I do not want any part of this company after the research I have done on said company and they refuse to remove me from their service. Very disappointing customer service and company. Contractors beware. Anyone at any time can add a bad review with no consequences.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I do not wish to be a member of Angie's List. I did not subscribe to Angie's List. But Angie's List has put a charge of 9.99 on my credit card on 04/03. I want it removed (refunded) but I can't find a way to contact the company. The automated phone instructions they give are bogus. Can you help me solve this problem?

Original review: April 7, 2018

I stopped using Angie's List when there was an issue with a contractor. They told me I was not at that level of support with their company and I would have to pay more. I told them to cancel my account. That was like 2 years ago. I noticed on my 2017 statements when doing my taxes that Angie's List is still debiting my account for basic viewing services. Aren't these FREE? Why hadn't my account been canceled as I requested two years ago! How soon will I be getting my refund for all charges up to present that I was erroneously debited.

Called customer service and entered my number and got a message that I do not have the level of support for assistance! I got ripped off by one contractor on (Angie's List) who kept buying materials, returning them to Home Depot then providing me with receipts for sale. No bueno. That is when I decided to stop using Angie's List. Next conversation I will be having is with the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: April 4, 2018

They are demanding that I provide all of my personal information before providing anything. I am unwilling to do this because I do not want my phone and email to blow up with contractors attempting to contact me. They state that the information is free, but all of my information is of value and therefore it is not free. I can't get the information that I am seeking from that source.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I hired a person to do a home inspection of a house I wanted to buy. He did an outstanding job, his company asked me to please give them a review of the work done. The email asked me to please give a review on HomeAdvisor and Angie's List (they are listed on both), given that I was very happy with services provided I felt very strongly about wanting to pass on a GOOD review. That all went downhill as soon as I did a review on Angie’s list. I signed up for their free service (required to submit a review), did my review, and then received a response stating that they could not verify that I was a real person and not an internet bot and therefore could not post my review.

They requested that I provide them with all my past address, phone numbers, email addresses and any other names I may have gone by. With a final sentence that read “Don't worry, we won't sell your information or share it with our members. However, any name or address given will be available to companies you review”. I replied that I would not do that and why. I then got another response that stated the same thing as the first one did. I called them to explain that this company deserved the review I gave and to not punish them because I would not divulge personal information. Was told that they have their process and if I could not be verified then there was nothing they could do.

I called (a live person), talked to a live person (employee) and was told that they cannot verify I am a real person and therefore could NOT use my review. I have not been insulted like this before trying to give a good review. If this is how they treat consumers trying to do a good thing I can only imagine how I would be treated if I had used them to find this company and had an issue. To sum it up, they want both contractors' advertisement money, the consumers' money (for better listings with their paid service) and the consumers' personal info so they can use it to get more money. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Since HomeAdvisor's purchase of Angie's List a behind the scenes scam has emerged. My leads from Angie's List is being pushed over to HomeAdvisor providers. I have tested this many times (5). Attempted to contact Angie's List about this, run around to say the least. Contacted Lawyer now.

Original review: March 19, 2018

It has been only close to 2 weeks and I am VERY DISSATISFIED! With the advertising of my business, nobody who has acquired my services through Facebook NOT Angie's List wants to review through that company!!! Because they are asked to sign up and they don't want to... I was never told that customers had to sign up and now??? I am screwed with a contract of 1 year when that wasn't even explained to me!!! The sales rep Michael ** from originations dept. never said it would be 1 year. When I submitted a complaint and a cancellation request! They said I would be charged 35% of the entire year for breaking a contract!!! Because I was asked if I wanted to pay for 1 month or the entire year, my answer was a month and I would try it out!!! NOOOOOO!!!! That wasn't why they asked that, it was because they were locking me up with an entire damn year!!!

It hasn't been even 2 weeks and I cannot cancel without penalties!!! THEY ARE CROOKS!!! I have 2 reviews from outside business not even Angie's List so that alone is a scam to customers!!! Because they are lying to them. "BUSINESS WASN'T DONE THROUGH ANGIE'S LIST!!!" My business is more through Facebook and NOW I REGRET signing up with Angie's List!!! I have tried to look what I can do, if anyone has a way to help? I WILL APPRECIATE IT!!! I am not satisfied and I am not getting any leads so far... I know it's been only close to 2 weeks but when you get lied to? You don't want to deal with a business like Angie's List!!!! I will keep searching a way to cancel!!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

We had a painter, who contracted an exterior painting, deck painting and some woodwork with an A listed superior performance awarded company on Angie’s List. Billy and Cindy’s Painting was the company. Long story short, they walked off the job with $2,900.00 and only a third finished. Angie’s List contacted me to see if I wanted to use Angie’s List complaint resolution... After providing AL with tons of photos and texts which definitively shows the shoddy and unfinished job they did, they told me that the company responded by saying they weren’t going to do anything for me, no refund no completed job. Angie’s List said they were very sorry for me but they don’t punish or delist companies. I found out today that the company pays Angie’s List for advertising and maintaining their spot on Angie’s List. Angie’s List is just an avenue for companies to scam and swindle consumers.

Original review: March 19, 2018

When it comes to a lead-generation program, Angie's List is the most expensive. There aren't any benefits to listing with Angie's List. They say that you have to get 5 reviews a month to stay in a top three or four companies listed per city. They have the big deals that really are not a deal for you. But it is a deal for the customer. They take another 40% or so off the top of your earnings. On top of the $2,000 or so that you're paying to list for the year's contract, that woman is taken your earnings and putting it in her pocketbook. That was the biggest business decision mistake I've ever made. HomeAdvisor at least charge only a fraction of the amount of the money. You get to go out and do jobs and get what you're worth if you win the bid. Even in some cases you get leads for free. HomeAdvisor would be the better choice.

I canceled with only 3 months left on my contract with Angie's List. I had to pay a 35% cancellation fee which is still huge. At least I won't have to pay that huge fee for that remaining months with Angie's List. They also have other ways to where they want to get your money. They send you out the so-called honor roll opportunity for $288. Come on woman, haven't you got enough money from all of those companies that are listed with you? Angie needs to change Angie's List name to Angies scamlist! I will kick myself in the behind over this. I have to ask what the world was I thinking. If you do not want to hurt your business do not sign up with Angie's List!

Original review: March 6, 2018

We have had our business on AngiesList.com for many years, the first many years we loved it, they actually saved us. We had so many leads and sold almost 95% of them. We did everything they told us to do, we have over 150 leads, we joined everything on there, marketplace, big deals, had 2 or 3 advertising agreements, etc. It was a designated job for someone in our office to stay on top of, because we were doing very well. Well about 2 or more years ago, our phones stopped ring with AngiesList customers and our emails for AngiesList stopped as well. We actually continued with them and kept trying, because of the business they had supplied us in years past, but I have decided today that we will not renew our AngiesList, especially after reading all of the other business owner reviews. I for sure know that it is not the same and we have a lack of trust. I might as well take my money and throw it out the window! So long AngiesList!

Original review: March 4, 2018

We needed a painter to update our home. We have a high hallway, and some high ceilings. We contacted Fred ** to paint. He was a joy to have in our home, and an excellent painter! We could not have been more pleased with him. I would recommend him to anyone who needs an excellent painter.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Angie's List sold me a $699 'Deal' to a fraudulent painting company to have 3 painters work at my house. When I tried to contact this company to use the deal, they never got back to me. I requested Angie's List to refund my $699, and I was told I had to work it out with the fraudulent company that had disappeared. Obviously that wasn't a path, so I tried to get my refund. I contacted Angie's List over 20 times in an effort to speak to someone, and was only sent emails that said it was not their problem to help me, despite the fact that my credit card has a $699 to Angie's List. Angie's List is supposed to be a firm to protect people from fraudulent companies, and not only do they represent them, they broker the robbery!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

My company signed up with Angie's List thinking we would get jobs from it as we did with Home Advisor. Big joke! In the same time frame we were with Angie's List and got 0 job leads or calls from Angie's List, we received 30+ jobs from HomeAdvisor. We paid money to be listed in the top 3-4 contractors that would be listed for our area. I made several anonymous accounts on Angie's List as a customer to look for my company's scope of work for my area and my company NEVER appeared in the list!!! I am furious. I think Angie's List is a big scam!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

They sale you advertising for your business. In my case it was $167.67 per month. Total cost per year is $2012.04. They do it by zip code. I asked for certain zip codes in my local area. They said I could not handle the amount of zip codes I wanted and would only give me 3. They said I could add more zip code later if needed. This was a lie since they charge you for more zip codes. I got 3 calls from Angie's list customers in the last 7 months of being on their list. Was only able to get 1 of the customers. I have the highest reviews you can get on Angie's List and Thumbtack that you can get. Total revenue from Angie's List 3 customers in 7 months listed is less than the cost of the service. At this point I am losing money and will never use them again. They have a very bad rating by business customers. Do not use Angie's List. It will cost you more than the money you make from the customers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I am a contractor that has used Angie’s List for approx the last 10 years, I’ve won the super service awards in every category I could compete in, have almost a 100 A ratings, and I’ve seen Angie’s List go from a great service for contractors and customers to a joke. I’m now using another service called Thumbtack which is phenomenal! I give Angie’s List and the VERY disorganized sales-driven staff who have no idea what direction the company even offers, 2 years top before they are gone altogether. Look at these numbers of total reviews! Something very wrong and it is not the quality they once were, what a joke! To anyone considering go to Thumbtack or any other service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Angie's List promised all these leads when it turns out they are selling all their leads to HomeAdvisor first which owns Angie's List. We were told they would call 5 of our customers for initial set up reviews and they only called two. So to this point 5 weeks later and 500 dollars later we have not received one call or lead. Angie's List already had a class action suit for similar issues.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

THEY DO NOT DESERVE A STAR!! I have never been so disappointed in the LACK OF SERVICE that Angie's List provides. This comes on the heels of them offering previous service for free and now they want me to pay for correcting bad information given by their reps. What happened? I was able to previously call in and they would work with me to correct mistakes on their website. Now, because I do not have a "contract", they will not even speak to me!!!! No notice, no nothing. Just a recording that says I have to pay to speak to someone to correct a mistake on their website!!! Not doing it! But am definitely doing this. Pulling all our information from them, will tell everyone I know not to call/use them!! And will share this with anyone who will listen...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I looked up some contractors on Angie's List, and now am getting calls from people I have not reached out to. I did not enter my phone number, but the callers say they got my phone number and address from Angie's List. STAY AWAY from Angie's List if you value your privacy!

AngiesList.com Company Information