Angie's List (Now Angi)

3.8/5 (1248 ratings)

About Angi

Angi helps homeowners find trusted local professionals for all their home improvement needs. Users can see honest reviews from other local homeowners for businesses in their area, then hire the ones they want directly through Angi’s website. The Happiness Guarantee protects homeowners if they aren’t satisfied. More than 150 million people have used Angi, according to the company’s website.

Pros

• Free to use
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Verified customer reviews
  • Financing options

Cons

• Complaints about calls and emails
  • Customer service by phone weekdays only

Bottom Line

Angi is an online company that matches homeowners with companies for home improvement services. Users can see verified customer reviews and get quotes to compare multiple contractors. A Happiness Guarantee protects customers.

What is Angi?

Angi is an online company that connects homeowners with home improvement services. Originally known as Angie’s List, the company rebranded in 2021 and is backed by more than 20 years of experience, information and homeowner reviews.

Homeowners who are looking for professionals for home improvement jobs can find vetted companies in their area. Angi lists both interior and exterior services. You can read verified reviews from previous customers to help you choose the right professionals. You can also compare quotes, book instantly, get financing and read how-to articles.

How does Angi work?

Angi operates similarly to a search engine. You search for the services you’re looking for help with, and Angi provides you with all your local options. You can either book instantly with a company, or you can request quotes and comparison-shop. You also have access to verified ratings and reviews from other local homeowners.

Some of the popular home services offered through Angi include:

• Home cleaning
  • Handyman services
  • Window cleaning
  • Roofing

How much does Angi cost?

Angi is free to use to get quotes, research local contractors and book services. If you want more, there are membership options with extra perks:

• Angi Savings Membership: Members get unlimited access to 20% savings on more than 150 fixed-price services.
  • Angie’s List Green: Legacy members get the benefits of the Angi website, plus a digital subscription to Angi Magazine.
  • Angie’s List Silver: Legacy members get 20% off pre-priced services, plus a print and physical subscription to Angi Magazine.
  • Angie’s List Gold: Legacy members get all the benefits of the Silver membership, plus access to a Complaint Resolution Team to help if an issue arises with a company.

For information about membership costs, start by creating an account on the Angi website. You can also call or email the company for more information.

Angi FAQ

Who owns Angi?

IAC has majority ownership of Angi. IAC’s brands also include Care.com and Dotdash. IAC is based in New York City.

How do I use an Angi coupon?

If you have a promo code, you can enter it at checkout. If you’re paying the contractor directly, you will need Angi Pay on the Angi app.

Do Angi pros have to pass a background check?

Yes, Angi screens the owner or principal of each business in its network. The background check includes a criminal records search. Angi also verifies state-level licensing and requires that each business attests that it carries local licensing.

How do I cancel my Angi membership?

You can cancel a membership online through your account, or you can call Angi.

How can I list my business on Angi?

Business owners can create a free business profile on Angi. A business may be added when a customer posts a review about its work.

Is Angi legit?

Angi is a well-established company with a network of over 250,000 professionals in over 500 home improvement categories. Users can research local companies, read reviews, find pricing information and book services all in one place and at no charge. With its Happiness Guarantee, Angi promises to make things right if you aren’t satisfied with a service. If you have a home project and need a contractor, it’s easy to use Angi to get quotes from multiple prescreened companies.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angi?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

We contracted with Element Drywall & Painting to prep for and install a soundproof wall that upon completion would divide an existing bedroom into two new in-home offices. The quality of the work exceeded our expectations. Gustavos ** and his team went beyond contract specifications to make sure we were fully satisfied with the work. Very competent, conscientious, and trustworthy. Highly, highly recommended.

Before the work began all furniture was covered with sliders, masking tape, plastic runners, and laundered drop cloths. Thick paper runways were rolled out from our front door to the work areas. Additionally, a filtration negative air machine utilizing a HEPA-activated carbon filter kept the dust in the apartment down and the air clean. Prep work done, the team framed the 10 ft wide by nine foot high divisional wall using a metal frame and studs. The team installed a resilient channel to reduce any sound intrusion to the other side of the wall and reinforced that with soundproof batting. Installation of expertly cut and mudded drywall was next, and a precise channel was cut around the doorways to further reduce any sound intrusion.

We choose where we wanted several electrical outlets to be located in the wall, each of which was then sealed with acoustical putty pads. A TV bracket was attached on the wall. On top of that, designed-from-scratch matching wainscotting and baseboards were added. Finally, an expert coat of primer and paint was applied. The project attained a level-five finish.

The team also primed and painted a separate wall that needed attention in the apartment. And at no extra charge the team fixed work by another contractor that was substandard. I would be happy to give a personal recommendation and answer any questions you may have about Element Drywall & Painting. Gustavos ** knows how to get in touch with me.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

“Breaker Panel Upgrade/Misc. work” I purchased a house and found some electrical issues that needed to be addressed. I wanted an electrician who could perform an inspection and give me an estimate for not only the known issues but for anything else that may need to be updated and/or corrected/fixed. When I started looking for an electrician, I was looking for someone who did quality work and that would do the job right the first time. I came across Blue Collar Electricians in my search and after reading the reviews contacted them for an inspection estimate.

Jacob initially came out for inspection. He was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions and concerns. He also pointed out some issues he had found during his inspection. After our meeting, I had a good feeling with the choice I made contacting BCE. I received a detailed estimate for all the work to be performed and the cost was reasonable. They scheduled two days for the work to be completed. The communication with Jacob and the office staff at Blue Collar was exceptional.

Jacob and co-workers (Jackie, Patrick & Tyler) showed up on time ready to work. They were all professional and did a “Quality Job” on replacing/upgrading to a 200 amp breaker panel in the house and a 100 amp breaker panel in remote building along with fixing all the other issues. After installation, they stayed late and performed an operational check on both breaker panels and labeled all the circuits. Jacob and Patrick did a final walk-through with me to ensure I was satisfied with all the work that was performed and answered any questions I had. On the first day they stayed late and finished the entire job. Again, they did an excellent job on everything. I give Jacob and his co-workers a five-star rating but if there was an option to give them additional stars I would.

Original review: July 24, 2022

When you have projects done on your house two things take place today.

1.) Everything is expensive, from labor to materials.

2.) There are a lot of people who claim to be contractors who claim to have the knowledge but have not been at it very long.

The second category can be the most expensive contractors you will ever hire. This was my first time with Cornerstone and when I called, Joe was very polite and professional. He came to my home and went over all the roofs on the property. He then sat down with my wife and I and gave us advice as to what would be the best products to replace the roof with for the best life and performance. We had a bad hailstorm the week before and there was a lot of damage to our house and a lot in our area. I filed the claim and Joe from Cornerstone met the adjuster from the Insurance Company. They went over each building and discussed all the damaged areas and the proposed plan to repair it all.

Thanks to our technical assistance from Cornerstone, the Insurance Company agreed with all of the line items and paid the claim in a couple of days. We scheduled the job and the crew arrived at the promised time. The crew was amazing in that everybody knew their job and the roof was bare wood in the few hours. The crew stripped the roof and checked everything before beginning to install the new membrane and shingles. Because the house was built in 1992, the original roof was tired but more importantly, had been laid down on tar paper. The new materials started with a membrane type base material and name brand shingles. On the advice of Joe from Cornerstone, we added ridge vents and drip edges all around to pull heat out of the attic and give that added protection to the edges of the roof.

The job was finished on time, as promised, and when the Cornerstone Crew left the yard was properly cleaned up and looked as good as when they started. I have been a Manufacturing Engineer for over forty years and spent a lot of time on facilities projects. These guys all knew their jobs and really got things done quickly but, with amazing skill. The roof looks beautiful and once I get the trim painted plan on having Cornerstone install gutters all around to finish off the project. I am a really fussy customer and these guys really knocked it out of the park. Delighted with my new roof and would be happy to talk to future customers or even have them come and see the job Cornerstone did for me. Delighted to find such a great team of craftsmen in today's uncertain market.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Trying to pick a roofer can be a very stressful time. Too many choices, many things to think about. Right from the start Luna put us at ease. Andrew did not put on the hard sell, he was honest about cost, scope etc. He answered our many questions and never put down other companies, like some of the others we met with did. Once we signed the contract Stephanie in the front office was so helpful setting up a date and communicating to us every step of the way. The crew showed up on time and went right to work. They covered everything so there was no damage done anywhere to the exterior of our house. Rolando the owner and Antonio the foremen were on site throughout the job and were available for any questions or surprises, thankfully everything went smoothly.

When it came to clean up, if not for the new roof and the Luna sign in our front yard, we would never have known they had been there. It was amazing to watch as they even raked our lawn to make sure there were no debris from the old roof. They started at 7am and were gone before 5 pm. The roof looks great and we are happy we chose Luna. I cannot say enough about Luna Roofing and their professionalism. Next time we need work done we will go to Luna.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Scope: Installed 40-ft French drain and connected it to existing storm drain and install a 4X80 ft swale (dry creek bed) to direct water flowing down a hill into a drain. In October 2019, Drainage Team installed a 40-foot French drain along the back our house and an 80-ft by 4-ft swale in a bed on the hill behind our house. The French drain was installed to address an occasional problem with water coming up at a specific spot in our basement after very heavy rains. This problem occurred even though there appeared to be a perimeter drainage system in the basement that was connected to sumps. The French drain was piped under our asphalt driveway to a storm drain on the left side of our lot. The outlet of one of our sump pumps was connected to the French drain piping instead of being discharged onto the driveway where it tended to form sheets of ice in the winter.

Downspouts in the back of the house were also connected to the French Drain piping to direct them to the storm drain. The swale was installed to improve an existing drain that directed water from the hill to a storm drain on one side of our lot. The existing system frequently overtopped during heavy rains and water ran down the bed, sweeping mulch out of the bed.

The project was completed on time and the job site was left in a very neat condition both while the project was ongoing and after it was completed. The French drain seems to have worked perfectly. We have not had a drop of water in our basement in more than two years. The swale improved the flow of water but it is still overtopped in the heaviest rains. The water flowing down to the storm drain tended to flow along the edges of the dry creek bed instead of through the center and this led to some erosion which we remedied by placing more rock on that side of the swale. The total cost of this project was $7840. I am happy with the performance of these systems and would hire Drainage Team again if a similar need came up.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I requested change of locks to Angi's Sunday night. Ave's Lock And Key called Monday morning around 9AM and serviceman arrived at 10AM and completed rekeying 4 doors within 3 hours. He did an excellent job in rekeying our 4 doors at a very reasonable price and within a day after our request. Angi's surely knows the right services to recommend to solve our problems.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

When we first joined Angie's List we could call and get several recommended service providers on the phone. Now on Angie's we just get an opportunity to invite bids. The online forms never allow me to adequately explain what I need done, and if and when the provider calls I have to start all over again. Often they don't call and when they do, they may not be an appropriate match. This is very frustrating and no better than Yelp.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I signed up for a membership with Angi about 8 months ago for $30. Today, I called to get a quote to unclog a sink. The quote was for $182. The plumber came out, snaked my drain, and couldn't find the cause of the clog. The sink continues to back up. Angi then charges my credit card for $222. I was okay paying $182 (not $222) for the plumber's time for coming out, even though nothing was fixed or repaired and the sink continues to back up. When I contacted Angi's customer service to question the $222, they said I was being $127 per hour at 2.5 hours less a coupon and my membership rate. When I booked the job, the Angi rep never said anything about an hourly rate, even when asked. The Angi rep never sent me the quote via email, as promised, and the Project tab on the Angi app doesn't provide any information on the quote. I was not okay with paying $222 for an incomplete job.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

My tree removal request was met immediately with five referrals, all who gave a wide spread of options to choose. I was very impressed with the professional crew I selected and their outstanding job. These pros were on time and showed up when they said they would. They wore all the appropriate safety equipment and wary of the dangers of their heavy duty equipment...JS

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Ian is the consummate professional. When he called, he made it clear that he was looking to help us assess our needs. Within a few moments, he made it clear that while he was familiar with the kind of work we needed, the specific type of facility and our need is something that he feels a more niche professional would be better suited to perform. He shared with us the positives and negatives of alternatives, and then gave us a link to someone he has used for the very type of job we needed done. This is an example of professional ethics and integrity that are often lacking in the business world, but which set companies like this aside for their excellence and integrity. There is no question, but that I would return to Ian for subsequent work.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Company Information