1.13/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

363 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

They promise new companies and companies looking for business leads and great advertising but fail to deliver in every aspect. After you complain they that you signed a contract so you have to pay the remaining months left. Basically they tell you they don't have to deliver on their end but you have to deliver on your end. Stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Avoid Angie's List "Deals." I dealt with two different contractors who either would not schedule, or kept rescheduling, appointments until I was beyond the 30-day refund window. AL was of no help in getting my money back from these unscrupulous contractors. They will sponsor these businesses, but are of no help in getting work performed. I am done with AL.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been a subscriber to Angie's List for years and gotten many good providers from the site. However, in recent years, it has been almost impossible to sign on, much less find or review providers. Moreover, unless you have an "upgraded" account, it is impossible to speak to a representative and are told by an automated system to sign in to "chat" with a representative. If I were able to sign in, I wouldn't have to call anyone or "chat" with a representative. I have advised providers that I wished to review that it is impossible to post a review, since the Angie's List website is the most difficult site to sign onto of any review platforms.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was using the service but then moved. A few months later, they removed service from my area and did not offer a refund of the balance of the year. Furthermore, they then went ahead and auto charged me another annual subscription fee even though there was still no service being provided. When contacted, they refused to refund the charge even after explaining that it was their decision not to offer service in my area.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Angie's List has an integrity department! Got a one and only questionable review in 3 years of free membership plan on Angie's on my listing page. I am a small business and I know every customer I deal with. I don't know this person at all. Angie's List offered no assistance in trying to verify if it was legitimate, no mediation, no opportunity for me to oppose. Said they have no way to contact the person and no email address for the person who wrote the review, but nonetheless the review would remain forever. Told me I couldn't cancel the account and nothing could be done about it.

Told me to have others write a review and those reviews would drown out the bad one and lift my score. 5 people wrote positive reviews and AL won't post them. They stated they need those persons' history of addresses, all names used, all email addresses used, etc. BEFORE they would allow a review to post. Well why would they need all of that for a positive review, but have no information on the person writing the negative review? I believe AL discriminates against non-paid memberships as a way to get you to pay money to get their attention. Fishy Fishy! Angie's list is a joke. Integrity is a joke! No leads. No business generated from the site. Just one big headache from ever stumbling across this company. Curiosity in AL killed the cat for sure!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I signed up and left a review for a local tech/IT company that helped us with our business and the network. I also started using Angie's List to find a remodeler as well for my home. I received an email asking for additional PERSONAL information "including but not limited to, permanent or previous addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and/or last names." This information is none of Angie's List's business and they have no right or reason to ask for this. I wanted to help a local company that did great work for my business but now if feels like a complete mistake and invasion of personal privacy going to Angie's List.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Have you heard the commercials? Angie's List is now FREE to use! LIARS. Don't even bother calling when they auto-charge your card for a refund, just write it off as stolen money. You could hear the delight in the "support" rep's words saying there's no reason to refund anything. Worthless service, bogus/enhanced listings. Still overpriced if they give it away.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Used Angie's List to try to find a contractor, who gave me a line of nonsense a mile long. Never showed up to give an estimate. Left a negative review and he replied with misstatements. This guy gets an A on Angie's list. I called Angie's List yesterday to cancel my membership. You are better off by calling a contractor who advertises in the local newspaper and having them come out to give a free estimate. I do not in any way trust the reviews in Angie's List and wouldn't be surprised if many are fake.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After maybe two or three years of good relations with AL, I have had several complaints over the years along with many more outstanding reviews and have made top 5 contractor awards five years in a row. However I did have a couple of bad reviews over a 5 year period which never go away and are always calculated in your rating that placed me in a B category which no will call the B guy. Consequently I get no calls from AL yet they still want their money, yet some of the bad reviews that are on my profile are from one, a client I had to put a lien on his property because the jobs complete but he still owes me over $12,000.00 and I had no choice but to file a lien, yet his review stands on AL as legitimate complaint, another one is from a homeowner that got a full refund with a settlement stating he was not allowed to slander me yet his review still stands.

I truly believe AL has unleashed a monster they can't contain. I have been a faithful and professional contractor with AL and I come with over 37 years of experience and I have never had to deal with this type of nonsense in my entire career. If you value your reputation and want to protect your reputation you have no say so in the matter when it comes to AL, they are only concerned with how they can shove their scam down consumers throats for more money.

I saw this coming over two years ago when I started getting calls from numerous other lead generators with better results and let AL know that this train wreck was headed their way, what I didn't even consider was AL figuring that choking the very people doing the service they advertise to provide was somehow going to keep them afloat now that the train wreck was on them. Does anyone even know that the owner of HomeAdvisor was on AL board of directors until he tried to buy AL out, their biggest competitor on the board of directors??? Sounds like a bunch of politicians that I do not and will not ever be a part of ever again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

When I was looking into signing up I was told that I would get about 2 or 3 calls a day because of the volume that they get in my Industry. After 2 weeks I did not get ANY Calls so I called and asked why. I was then told that I had to have at least 5 Reviews before I get listed after I paid them. I called my customers that were supposed to give my reviews and I was told that they tried but it was too complicated. I did have 2 customers that went all the way through the review process and Angie's List told me that they were rejected???

I called and asked why they were rejected and was told that they didn't know why and would look into it?? So now I am locked into a contract for $100 a month with a company that is not willing to help me figure out how to make this work as promised. I tried to get in touch with the guy that made the promises and he won’t talk to me?? Learn from my mistake and STAY AWAY from this company. It is funny how they have it to where you can't give them a review on their site??

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Tried to use it to find a contractor. I used the one that was at the top of the list, with "A" rating and the Angie's List Certification. It was completely inaccurate. The contractor was dishonest and predatory. I had to hand the service provider his jacket and ask him to leave my house. I contacted Angie's List to see if they vet the services providers before they Certify them, and they do not. Anyone can submit a review, so you cannot tell if they are real or fake. A high rating and Angie's List Certification has no meaning.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Angieslist member prices are BS. You are not getting any kind of a deal using them. If you call the company that you found on Angieslist yourself and ask them what they charge for the service the price is the same or lower. Angieslist makes the Original Price higher so that when you see the member pricing you think you're getting a good deal but in reality you're paying what the company normally charges.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Notice that they have figured out how to hide the top provider in my profession by only showing my business in one zip code based on our last review and they are removing all of our reviews and company information. All I can say is this does not look good for them if this is the only way they can force a business to advertise. I was going to take the year off and see how it went because with the free membership all I got was people wanting free estimates off pictures. Now I will put all my money on other referral systems. Google, Yelp and Facebook. It was very good, now Angies List is not, at all!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I hired the top rated appliance repair (capital appliance repair) per Angie's List, and after getting terrible service, I posted a negative review. The owner of the repair shop (who had full view of all my personal information, including home address) then went to my personal web page and gave me a negative review in return. I informed Angie's List that I was retaliated against and they DID NOTHING. I then went back to the original listing and saw that this "A" rated business also had 17 "F" ratings, yet Angie's List still gave them an "A" because they had many positive reviews. I canceled my membership.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Seriously, Angie's List is now offering a webinar about online reputation being offered from Angie's List. You have got to be kidding. Angie's List supports end users abuse of review and complaint process in order to promote a reputation marketing service for business owners. Angie's List created the problem by allowing and supporting an end user to use the "give me my money back or else" practice, by not providing our company with the ability to be fairly and ethically support our position, then locked us out of our online account, and then offering a webinar to promote their "reputation marketing" seminar!

This is the same as tagging buildings then offering a graffiti removal service! Our Company, has received ten years of positive reviews (over 300) and tens years of multiple super service awards, was unfairly targeted by an end user who used the "give me my money back or else" practice with Angie's List. We stood our ground for ethical and moral reasons against abuse from an end user, were not supported by Angie's List even with endless discussions, emails and attempts to be fairly treated by Angie's List, and are now locked out of our online account, unless we accept terms and conditions which are unfairly one-sided.

Based on our reputation - recipient of over ten years of super service awards in multiple categories, Angie's List should have handled this situation differently. Based on the fact that we have paid up to $60,000 JUST TO BE SEEN by our customers on Angie's List, which was only possible by earning over ten years of super services awards in multiple categories, Angie's List should have handled our experience differently.

In the end, we learned; 1. Angie's List supports end users who abuse the review process, 2. Angie's List allows and supports end users to utilize the "give me my money back or else" tactics, 3. Angie's list fails to provide business owners with a fair and equal opportunity to be represented when such abuse occurs which places and unfair advantage on Business Owners resulting in tarnished reputations leading to money lost in missed sales, 4. Angie's List prevents business owners who are also clients of Angie's List from access to their accounts unless the business owners accept one-sided and unrealistic terms and conditions.

For the above-mentioned reasons, Angie's List webinar on "reputation marketing" as it relates to practices of Angie's List related to the review posting and handling of the complaints, doesn't really make sense. Also, it is evident at this point that Angie's List is still trying to find another revenue stream in order to stay relevant in today's market. American Drain Works is a small company who has been adversely affected by Angie's List most recent handling of an abuse by an end user and the current appearance and posting of the negative review and response. And, at current, we are not able to access our account. As such, Angie's List has earned an "F" rating from our small company.

As a small company, our client's rely on us to provide a service that they can respect and trust. As owners, we, the business owners, make an effort to meet with 99.99% of our clients with our staff, and we work hard along with loyal our staff to take care of our clients. Our clients are proud to have "a women owned plumbing company" take care of their plumbing problems. They feel safe, comfortable and we have become an extended part of many client families. When we have not met our client's expectations we work to make it right. We can not make everyone happy, although we try. There are times when the review process is used against us, regardless of what we have done to make it right from the beginning. We will not support companies who support and encourage end users to abuse our reputation as Angie's List has done.

After discussion with a few reputation marketing companies, it has been recommended to us to eliminate Angie's List from the list of sites to focus on and instead focus on the newer sites and locations where end users are sourcing to find a service company they and rely on and trust. If Angie's List fails to reach the expectations of their clients, as they have with our company, a loyal supporter of Angie's List for years, then there is no point to utilizing Angie's List as a platform in today's market.

Original review: July 29, 2017

They renewed my membership without even receiving my permission or telling me what credit card account they would be charging. As soon as I saw the unknown charge on a card I hadn't used in more than 6 months, I panicked, fearing that someone might have used my card, perhaps even stole my identity. Finally, I find out who charged me. I try to get in touch with them by phone but they won't pick up because my membership plan does not permit this. I find an email address and email them demanding a refund, only to find that membership fees are non-refundable.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I purchased two hour electrician time for $89. I was referred to an electrician for the job that specifically required to change a wall power outlet. Electrician said it would cost $275 and if I want them I should call back. I didn't call them and did the job myself for $8. Called Angie's list for reimbursement since the job was not done and electrician never came to my house. I called Angie's list and they referred me to the electrician who said he never charged my account and Angie's list charged my account. Both refusing to return my money. What a scam Angie's list is. Never purchase service from them.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I called to put my company on AngiesList.com thinking we would generate leads. Spoke to a rep thinking he would be aware of my needs. We are a small mom and pop company. I thought I was signing a background check and instead he says I signed a contract which I did not think I was. My account was charged 16,999.99 which ruined my company. Was on Dallas and was not able to work or pay my employees. I call. They say "You have a contract" and they threatened my credit. Instead of growing it ruined us.

We worked very hard for our 5 star rated company compared to their 1 star and was completely blind sided. This is not for a small business wanting to grow and is a scam. So now we have nothing after all the years of blood sweat and tears. We are left with nothing and actually stuck in Dallas having to get a loan. Devastated is not even the answer. They are crooks and do not even give one lead. They do not do proper background checks or do good business. I begged to just redo my contract still trying to rip us off not even in my company's best interest. I am doing all I can to turn them over with the reps to Better Business Bureau and whatever I can do. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU LIKE GIVING OUT MONEY WITH NO RETURN. They will not return my calls now.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have been a contractor working in the northern Virginia area for more than 20 years. In the past 3 years had a bad experience with a couple of unfair customers. The first one demanded that I continue to replace T1-11 siding boards when I had already replaced 30 boards and the contract stated about 18 to be replaced so they offered me to keep working and at the end they will pay me an extra $500 which I did not believe them because I found out by a neighbor that they had some issues with a previous contractor and they left, so they wrote a bad review to AngiesList.

So we went thru the dispute process but all that this company does is influence you to accept the customer's offer which I did not. The customers sued me for the entire contract amount which I only got half as downpayment so when we went to court the judge after presenting my evidence ruled in my favor so I contacted AngiesList with the proof that the court ruled in my favor and they refused to remove the review stating that only the customer can remove it. My question is: what recourse does a contractor has when someone can simply slander someone's reputation besides suing the customer? It is totally unfair and biased system, it is only based on paying members. In my 20 years working never had issues with anyone and I do not advertise, just word of mouth keeps me busy because I take care of my customers.

Original review: July 22, 2017
I was a member of Angie's List years ago. Recently they discontinued their service fee. However they kept my old account and still are charging my card 24.99.

No one responds on their online live customer questions. Unable to cancel.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have been trying to find a roofer, thinking AngiesList.com would be an unbiased source to weed out the good from the bad. AngiesList itself has become the biggest source of bias on their website. After an internet search, I found a company and I thought I'd see its ratings and reviews on AngiesList. While the company is on AngiesList, it has not received any reviews for some 4 years. What was more disturbing is the header that was placed on the company page: "In an ongoing effort to provide members with the best experience with our service, AngiesList has set specific criteria that need to be met in order to be included in general searches. This provider does not meet, or has not yet met, some or any of AngiesList's criteria; therefore the provider is being withheld from category and keyword searches." It is at AngiesList discretion to update or remove this message and exclusion.

This greatly concerned me. What on earth did this company do? I felt this company was a very good prospect. After my List of good prospects dwindled, I searched for how this could happen to a company on AngiesList. What I discovered was eye opening. NBC Chicago did a story that not only proved contractors lied about their required licensing and still became AngiesList certified, but it also revealed that if a company comes into a dispute with AngiesList, that company will receive the same heading quoted above, effectively blacklisting the company and further damaging the company.

A licensed company complained to AngiesList about the money spent advertising and the loss of customers because of the numerous companies who lied about being licensed and provided the same services at unrealistic low prices. This company now is in dispute with AngiesList and AngiesList has put the header quoted above on his webpage. Well, I contacted the roofing company I am interested in and asked them about their experience with AngiesList that led them to being essentially blacklisted. They said they just stopped advertising with them and do not know about being blacklisted. This also demonstrates that AngiesList is not neutral or even honest.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Signed up as a consumer to get accurate ratings of contractors. After looking at several, I started receiving numerous emails wanting me to review or let them know if I used a certain contractor. I finally used one that I found on the list and I found them to be good. I then proceed to give them a good review. After being inundated with annoying emails from various people working for Angie's List, they wouldn't accept my review until I gave them previous addresses where I lived and more personal information in addition to what I had already provided when I signed up. I told them they had enough of my information to which they told me I couldn't review the contractor with providing more.

Original review: July 13, 2017

AngiesList has court documents showing that a customer of mine is not to write any reviews in regards to a job I completed for her. I provided AngiesList this document and they refuse to take the review down. This court document indicates that my company Flawless Arborist is a victim and Donna is slandering my company on every website that she can. I want the bad review taken down today. AngiesList you have everything you need to see that this review is not accurate.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I am a contractor in Michigan and contacted Angie's List to try to get more leads, after speaking to one of their representatives a few times I decided that it wasn't the right choice for my company because they wanted me to sign a year contract with them. I let them know that the contract was my issue and that I wasn't interested unless I could get into a shorter term contract. They kindly let me know that was my only option.

Lo and behold I got a follow up call about 2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in setting advertising up with them, I let them know-again - my issues with the contract and I got the "well why didn't you say something?" From there the lady let me know she could do 6 months and it would be the same price as the 1 year contract as well. I agreed and asked them to call me at a more convenient time. Once I got the call back - it was the lady I originally spoke with that told me they don't any contracts that are less than a year- she started reading me the contract conditions. Included in this was obviously the price I would be spending each month aaannddd it went up almost 50%... Mind you I was told the price would not change with the shorter contract...

I should have called it quits at that point but she was able to talk to her "manager" and get me the original price with the short term contract. I signed up, it's been nearly 3 weeks I have not gotten a single lead from them. In fact I have gotten more from a free craigslist ad. I was told when I first started talking to them that they had had "400 inquiries" in my area in my line of work "this month and only 4 contractors". I called today to speak with their "customer success team" and their best advice was to get a bigger advertising area a.k.a. Pay them more money, I declined and asked them to just change my coupon, then got on my profile to check and the changes were incorrect and did not make sense. The only useful tool I have gotten from Angie's List is the ability to let my customers review me publicly and that part is free! I advise spending your marketing money elsewhere.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I was a long time member of Angie's List. I then decided to cancel since I didn't use it for a couple of years. I was talked into having a membership for $5. I agreed to that on the condition that it would not autorenew. They guaranteed that it wouldn't. I just found the charge on my credit card for $9.99. I called them and they said they won't issue a refund because I didn't cancel on time. My account was set to not renew. Apparently, all accounts were changed to auto renewal within this past year.

The person from Angie's List said: "I apologize if the auto renewal caught you off guard. By default, when you sign up for a membership online, the membership renews automatically. We started automatic renewal for the convenience of our members, based on their feedback, so they wouldn't need to contact us every time they wanted their account to continue."

Original review: July 1, 2017

I recently canceled my contract two months shy of renewal. When I initially signed up to pay Angie's List their high monthly fee, it was with the intent that I could gain a some a few new customers and that it would be a win, win situation. They stated clearly that with this monthly fee that they would list my company at the top of their list as well as let me offer coupons that were completely in my control. To understand clearly, they said that I was on a contract and would have control. They changed this rule 2/3 of the way through the agreement and they wouldn't let me post the sales that were complimentary to my business. They instead have become more like a company that sends large blasts of spam out for the business' that pay however, they take their monthly payment and a large portion of the payment of the services that were rendered and purchased from their site.

I could see Angie's List having the potential to throw a few good companies under the bus. My company is a highly rated company across the board, even on Angie's List, however, recently their review practice has changed. They now let any biased individual who has never done business with a business listed on Angie's List makes a complaint or a merely state their opinion. It could be your rival, it could be a disgruntled employee, it could be an honest person. Once your business is in Angie's Lists hands, you are subjecting your hard work and business to good people and predators alike. And, the most unfortunate thing about Angie's List is that they sit back, push a button to send mass emails and then collect thousands of dollars off of the sweat and hard work of all the national business' who fallen into this internet pit.

It's also unfortunate that when you go to Angie's List, you are sometimes getting uneducated, opinionated comments, (not actual reviews) and with this, ever so judging country we have become, those who are simply having a bad day could easily put someone out of business. I highly recommend that if you own a business, NEVER pay Angie's List for a listing. There are unscrupulous people out there who cannot tell the difference between writing an actual review of services rendered versus sharing their biased and unfactual opinion. They need to change their name so that it will closely represent their company. It should be called, Angie's List Opinions, and comments from strangers who have never done business with the listed business at all.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I am a small business owner in Orlando Fl. I was looking where to put my company name out there. I tried HomeAdvisor for 1 month and was a totally waste of money!! Do not put your business in HomeAdvisor. They charge $25 per lead. I got 16 leads. Only 1 job were performed out of 16. The rest no contact at all and they still charged me. So I start doing researches and found AL. So I've been concern about the scam from HA, wouldn't let AL fools me, so they start selling me dreams that they're gonna put my name on top of the list of my category if I get at least 5 reviews from past customers. I asked if they have an offer before I sign the contract and she told me yes they do offer 3 month FREE after you pay the full year agreement. LMAO wth!!! Doesn't make sense at all. She start putting pressure to me to pay and trying to avoid my questions. Thanks God I left my wallet in my car because almost I sign that.

So I start looking for this kinds of reviews what I didn't did before I sign with HA and found all this bad revs. Omg. Thanks to all of you for saving me $$. I haven't and I will not do ads with AL. I'm still looking where to and I found Vistaprint and I'm doing very good. Thanks to them. If you have another good ad company please feel free to share it with me. Once again thanks for the advice.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Angie's List for her new ad campaign that taught my grandson how to flush a stuffed animal down the toilet. I'm sure these commercials get a chuckle or two in the boardroom and probably has generated a few sales for your preferred contractor clients (particularly plumbers) but it sure as heck has made my life a little bit miserable. So please, as you continue with cutesy ads. No commercials involving sharp objects, permanent markers, food stuffs in electronics or any other destructive behavior that can influence a minor. Thanking you in advance.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I should have read all review about Angie's list before I became a member and put my company name on their profile. I'm blown away by their flat out lies and business practice. If a referral company as large as Angie's list cannot be honest with business they do business with then what can anyone do to show consumer they are a good company. I bought into a ad they ran for 268.00 a month for a spot in the top 25 contractor for a area and for a month I got not one call. So I call them and they tell me before it start I have to have at least 5 referral and I only had 3. Wow I said I wish I would have know this before I joined and spent 268 of my money on nothing.

So I told them I did not want to pay anymore till I got to 5 referral and then they tell me it's a contract for a year and I will be honest - I went by what the lady told me I was signing was a background check of who we are and I did not read it at all. It was a contract. I was very mad at myself for this. That being said I told the rep that how could you make someone pay for something they can't use and his reply was "I understand but it's a contract". So I did not pay it and now they took my company info down and I've not heard a word back and no reply. Be very very very careful with them and don't believe anything a rep tells you. Too many issue.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I went online, hired a cleaning service, was IMMEDIATELY charged for that service, and then spent the next week trying to track down the service provider. NOTHING...zero response. Angie's List should be ashamed to allow service providers to advertise deals without checking on that provider. After the provider ignored 4 emails, I contacted Angie's List and asked for a full refund. Now, I have to wait another week to get that refund. Basically, with Angie's List, you rely on them to provide you with names of trustworthy providers, and then they take your money and you are on your own to try to track down the service. WASTE of time and terrible way to run a company.

AngiesList.com Company Information