1.21/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

458 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

An organization base on fraud, they will collect your money and NO service at all, if you go complaint they will tell you have contract and you have to pay no matter what. I been contacting them to send court documents they give me a fake email address.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Decided to try out and what a mistake this was. I was told more work than you can handle (lies and more lies!!!). Once they have your credit card it's a slot machine for them. The salesman tells me someone would be assigned to me and he would help, never answers his phone and return phone calls. They said I would be their top ten and would get a lot of calls. Bull!!! Paid them 600.00/month and cancelled after 3 months, now they are harassing me to pay them 1,800 for doing nothing. Told them multiple times that I was not satisfied with them and they fed me a line of crap that my reviews were not enough, so when I had past customers put reviews in they didn't register in, then when you call no one knows why? Never use them, again and next I will call my lawyer if they continue to harass.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Every person that I hired from Angie's List has been terrible. From home contractor to house painters. My flooring is separating, cabinets and other items that were installed are falling apart. This was a 5 star rated contractor. That's a joke. The house painters also had 5 star rating and their work was sloppy and no one spoke English. DO NOT TRUST ANGIE'S LIST OR HOMEADVISOR... Do the research yourself for hiring professionals.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I hired a veteran to make repairs on my front entry doorway. I wanted to support. He assured me he could do repairs without me having to replace the whole door. He made a complete mess and now I can’t find him on Angie’s List at all. I’ve called and he doesn’t answer. By the way - he cashed my check the same day. I’ll pay the extra and use the pros next time and I won’t be using Angie’s List again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Now that HomeAdvisor has bought Angie's List, HomeAdvisor is sending us leads from there. We also advertise with Angie's List, the website interface has totally changed so now members not logged in are submitting their info to be matched with professionals. CUSTOMERS AREN'T AWARE OF THIS. We've gotten multiple angry customers, confused as to why we're calling them. Angie's List wants $1,200 to cancel our advertising with them. They should pay US for the 5 months we've paid to get no customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Wrote an honest review on my experience with a contractor. The contractor threatened to sue me if I don’t take my negative review down. I let AngiesList know and they did nothing. I took the review down simply to not be sued. The company maintains a high rating on AngieList which of course is not accurate since they threaten people with lawsuits if they post anything other than glowing reviews!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My Angie's List review and complaint. Buyer beware. Angie's List is a bunch of crooks. Many reasons. Enrolled my company with Angie's List and signed a 1 year contract. Angie's List merged with HomeAdvisor and by how the company is run and corrupt it is, it shows. So, after I enrolled with Angie's List, within the first month I got 1 inquiry and it was most likely fake, (something HomeAdvisor has done before merging) currently there is a class action suit against both Angie's List and HomeAdvisor for the same thing in 2018. Which I am looking into joining if they don’t leave me alone.

Anyway so I believe my first inquiry was fake by how the conversation went with the potential client. But that isn’t the main reason for complaint, it is just showing character of this company. So you pay to be on Angie's List, well after 10 months of getting absolutely no results whatsoever, I decided to inquire about canceling my agreement. Which after about 8 months I inquired by email about canceling and didn’t receive a response. Well finally after 10 months I decided to cancel. Was told it would be $90, 30% of the remainder of the contract which would be $250.

I only did very little advertising with them as a test run. And even though little, it still cost me over a grand for one fake lead in 10 months. Anyway, I canceled and not shocking as crooked as Angie's List is, they took $250 from my account, instead of the $90 that was told for early termination. Everything was documented with emails for the early termination fee and of course all documentation of bank records of them straight up stealing.

After making them aware and trying to just pay and be done, my sales rep was actually trying to make it like I owed the $250, after she herself said around $90 in an email, which 30% of 250 is a little shy of $90 which would be correct. But emails sent from her after they tried pencil whipping were to try and justify why it was $250 now, and if I only had 2 months left at $125 and was paying the early termination fee of 30% how could it possibly be $250 which would be the total remainder of the agreement. After a few emails I asked for a billing payment and summary for my total payment history to show her that they were pencil whipping me, which I knew, but wanted it in their own writing. Over 1 month for them to produce this after numerous emails back and forth.

Tried going on Angie's List to get my c/c info off there because 2 times in 3 days I had to call my bank and cancel their transaction when this first occurred. No way for me to access my account to delink my c/c info. It didn’t stop there, I warned them after having to cancel them 2 transactions and told them to delink my card. Well they didn’t, after 4 more attempts to charge my card, I ultimately called my bank and canceled the card. Got numerous emails from them after that they kept trying to charge my card and it wasn’t going through.

Of course it wasn’t, you tried stealing and got caught. Anyway, back to a beginning thing I pointed out. First 10 months I got 1 person to look at me on Angie's List, my second person was the very next day after I canceled. Now, just an assumption, but the timing of someone reaching out on Angie's List the very next day after I canceled, when for 10 months only 1 inquiry in the very beginning. Makes me wonder, did they attempt that so maybe I would change my mind on not canceling. LOL Most certainly in mine opinion. Thankfully I didn’t go the pay per click like other companies did only to get fake leads. FAKE LEADS and they wonder why there is a class action suit.

I gave the company the opportunity to walk away, they made 1k over 10 months for doing absolutely nothing to bring in leads. Guess if you're not paying for clicks, no reason until you cancel to give one a fake one. They got caught stealing, undisputable with all email and bank documentations. Held my credit card hostage, refused to furnish a billing and payment summary for months to hide their pencil whipping. Etc. They have done all this and so much more. Had me cancel credit cards, spend 3-4 hours dealing with emails back and forth, dealing with my bank.

For what, $250. They were told to walk away or my reviews on them would be posted. I didn’t want to spend time doing this and just wanted to be done, they claim I owe $160 cause I didn’t dispute the $90 with my bank and they got that, they are not owed more. And yet today I got a call from a collections department about it. So now it's time for me to post my reviews and complaints. They should of left it be, they got their money owed and still are insisting and harassing on money they are not due.

Rundown: 2 leads in 10 months, 1 in the beginning to make it like they generate something and 1 the day after I cancel service. Both most likely fake leads as they are being sued by numerous companies for that. Theft of money not due and holding credit card information after being told to delink it. Over a month of demanding a billing and payment history. Threats by them about affecting my credit in writing through email. Hours of dealing with this, my time is money as well. Anyone dealing with Angie's List and have been defrauded by fake leads and overcharged, should look into jumping on the class action suits against them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Do not join this company! The 888-888-5478 number DOES NOT WORK! It is a recording saying to go the website and click on CHAT... There is no CHAT button!! So they won't answer on the phone and the website is a dead end. This is a sign you should NEVER deal with a company does not respect it customers. What they are doing is ILLEGAL.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I signed on with AngiesList in August to help with my new cleaning business. As of today I have only got 1 lead with AngiesList. All my jobs come from word of mouth and me doing the footwork. They only want your money after that you never hear from them nor do they return calls. This was the worst decision that I could have ever made. As a new business paying $300 every month for absolutely nothing is a negative for me. Don't trust them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have had paid advertisement on Angie's List for a few years and recently at the beginning of this year (2018) they changed their website platform. They claim it's to get more people to actually become a member, but it's really transferring all the information to HomeAdvisor from Angie's List website so these people who think they are contacting just Angie's List are actually being contacted by HomeAdvisor before they can even become a member of Angie's List. In return this has dramatically decreased our volume of new business.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I'm a marketing professional who utilizes Google and Bing to generate leads for my clients. I'm very good at my job. Due to a client's request, I set his business up with advertising on AngiesList to bring him additional leads. The deal was a flop! For 6 months, it cost him $3,200 and generated about 6 leads, all but 1 were a waste of time. Thank goodness the one lead resulted in a job that paid for all of the AngiesList advertising. That's a terrible return on investment. I honestly believe the data that AngiesList quoted me was a lie. Don't waste your hard-earned money advertising on their website. They aren't even marketing themselves on TV anymore which is a sign that they're putting their business efforts elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Called One Sweep recommended by Angie's list. Came but said they would not do the job. Called another Angie's List Pro. Set up an appointment for a price. Did not show until called again. Set up appointment for the work. Did not show up. Not pleased with Angie's List.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Several years ago I did a year contract advertising with AL. I only received 2 jobs from the whole year. I vowed to never advertise with them again. Last year I was convinced by a sales rep that they had changed. So I reluctantly advertised with them again. Well it's been a year and I have only received 3 jobs this year. When I call them they have nothing but excuses. What I found out today is, if you google Angie's List, you get to their landing page. Right in the middle of that page there is a LARGE box that says: "Find top-rated, certified pros for your project". There is a spot to put in what you are looking for, plumber, etc. When you enter what you are looking for it asks you a number of questions. Including your address etc. Then what happens is you get 3-4 service providers who will give you quotes by contacting you via email call or whatever.

Here is the problem. When you fill in your information in that box, you are actually now getting providers from Home Advisor. Which I now find out is their sister company. So as a paid advertiser on Angie's List, if a prospect Clicks on that LARGE box in the middle of their web page, they will NEVER see me as an option because I do not advertise on Home Advisor. I am being told by Angie's List representatives that the prospect must be a member, and they must log in on a small box in the top right of their web page in order to see me as a paid advertiser. What the hell is that?? This is why I am not getting any calls!! This is unethical and I will never ever use them again for anything. I will be filing a complaint and be taking legal action against this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Worst 4 grand I've ever spent: Angie's List sales department will say anything to get you to sign up for advertising. I was promised 10 to 20 leads a month. I've received a grand total of 12 leads all year. The 4th "success" manager assigned to my account will not return my calls or messages. Stay far away from this shady company. Way to go Angie's list. You're in the process of pissing off your revenue stream one contractor at a time. I hope you go bankrupt. Honestly I had the one person I could get a hold of tell me that 3 people (like that was a big number) had called in the last 30 days. I received none of calls that are supposedly tracked. Use HomeAdvisor. At least that way you can control your lead flow.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Angie’s List is nothing more than a scamming company out to steal from local businesses. They try to sell you the world to agree to a 12 month contract and then once you sign and realize that they don’t provide any service. They charge you a 35% fee for the entire contract if you try to get out of it. They are nothing but scammer. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Our contract just renewed & is up to $165/mo from $150. I went online from my desk computer (24" computer screen) to see if we were getting any views & if it was worth what we were paying. Apparently, this info is only available if I download the APP on my cell phone where I can view it on a 3" x 5" PHONE SCREEN! Duh! When I tried to cancel the contract which renews tomorrow, I was told that there is a 35% cancellation fee! I am canceling anyway - while AngiesList.com may have had good intentions at the start-it has become just a business enterprise unto itself, set up for AngiesList to make money and not really to benefit Businesses or Consumers.

The Contract fee for one year is $1,980.00 and the 35% Cancellation Fee will be $693.00! This for canceling one day BEFORE the Renewal! BEWARE of what I consider to be deceptive business practices (AngiesList can cancel YOU with no fee or recourse). The person that I spoke to cancel the contract was especially snarky too! My own opinion is that it is not worth the money and you had better read their Contract VERY CAREFULLY, before you sign!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I subscribed a few years ago for a fee. After I cancelled with plenty of notice and confirming response they charged my card again. I was aggressive enough that they reversed the charge. Now I see they offer a free membership, allegedly alongside paid ones. To register one has to agree to pay fees even for free. There is no way to choose free before agreeing to pay fees. They could still have my card on file so I am not agreeing to anything. There is no way to contact them directly. Angie's List has become a scam, it appears.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been an AL service provider since 2012. I had wonderful results advertising with them until this year as a housekeeping service. I am an "A" rated company with 26 sparkling reviews at the "top" of their list and receive NO CALLS since 2018 began. I've been in touch with them recently to get some answers as to why leads have suddenly stopped completely. I get no "answers" just excuses. Something has definitely changed with this company and decided to investigate. I discovered this Consumer Affairs site and realize that I am not alone! Many Pros are having the same complaints and problems that I am experiencing. Angie Hicks and her "list" should be ashamed at the poor manner in which her company treats its providers and potential consumers.

After reading all the complaints by consumers and pros alike...I am ashamed to say that I advertise my business on A.L. It is an embarrassment to be associated with such unprofessional people. I am most likely stuck with my advertising contract until next August but will not renew. Angie's List used to be such a great format for me to obtain wonderful, loyal clientele. I guess all good things must come to an end. I am disgusted with Angie and her so-called list.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I received a call from Megan yesterday to sign up for their paid referral service for my cleaning business. I have been on their site for 3 years and have never received one lead. She said it was because I needed to pay for the service so that I could be bumped up to the top of the list and get an A rating. After telling her over a dozen times that I could not afford the $300 a month she was relentless and would not let me off the phone. After an hour and a half of being on the phone with her I finally agreed to try it.

During the conversation she had asked what other companies I had used and I told her I had used Home Advisor and it was unprofessional, unethical and a ripoff and I would never use them again. I spent a lot of money and never received one legitimate lead. I also told her at least a dozen times that I wanted to think about it and check out some reviews first and she was insistent for me to sign up “today” because the deadline was here to get into their magazine that would be distributed to 72,000 homes in my area the second week of Oct.

Hesitantly and nervously I agreed as she said I would get so many leads that come in that it would more than pay for it. That the leads actually call me and I do not call them. Never once even during the numerous times that I told her how I unsatisfied I was with Home Advisor did she tell me that THEY ARE HOME ADVISOR!!! This was not only unethical but blatantly fraudulent. I have already called to cancel and despite the charge. Of course no one was there to help me and the person I called continently sent me to a manager who was not available. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and if I do not receive my refund ASAP I will also be contacting the States Attorney General.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am a member for last 2-3 years, all of a sudden I am unable to log in or change password. No one responds to email or picks up phones, even if you want to cancel the membership. I am unable to log in for last 6 months, so please remember there is no customer service behind this website if you are planning to become a member.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Plumber#1 wanted to charge me $232 for the $14.95 part over and above the charge for the wall valve of $175 which I paid. So my toilet is still leaking; got the parts but he can't come back, it's not his real territory. Plumber #2 put in a faucet but didn't have the right bit to go thru enamel and cast iron to make the spray hole bigger to accommodate the new part. He said, "You find someone to make the hole and I'll come back."

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Angie's List has an obscure feature (a checked box at the bottom of the page that the user easily misses) that automatically sends a user's quote request to "recommended vendors." I submitted a quote request to 3 companies on Angie's List, and my quote request was sent to at least 3 others that I did not select. Apparently Angie's List does this for companies that pay them more. This site appears to be functioning for the companies instead of the consumers now. I am very unhappy about this because Angie's List gave out my cell phone number to these companies.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We are business owners (24+ yrs) with A ratings across the internet, Google, Houzz, Yelp, etc. We have advertised on Angie's List every year for over 10 years in remodeling. This year, we finally decided to cancel Angie's List permanently. There is a number of unethical practices going on that most business owners WILL NEVER KNOW ABOUT because they don't have time to be an investigator, researching how this system works on the member side. I have taken the time to see exactly how it works and how advertising skews the information visible on Angie's List in favor of any business paying $$, regardless of reputation. It's gotten much worse in recent months (2018).

In the end, they are not actually helping consumers at all. They polish up "turds" - B and lower rated companies - that pay for advertising and then promote them heavily for clicks and skew how great they are. Additionally, they will bury the A rated, reputable company not paying for advertising on page 3-4 of results, even if geographically they are next door to the consumer looking for that service. The costs of advertising have increased every year substantially. The value has declined every year substantially. We track it. They will ask you to gather reviews from clients and then report back to you that the sales of all those reviews entered (dollar amounts are part of the review) was "caused" by your presence on Angie's List. Not true. Too much to write here and I expect they will continue to be sued by business owners for the unethical practices that are getting worse with time. Spend your money elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Brad was asked to repair or replace 2 bathroom fans, could not find replacement blowers so then I asked him to replace with new fans. He complained about going into the attic (it was a warm day) but knew coming to my house he might need to replace or repair. Did not get done. Then needed to fix or replace a leaky shower head. Started working on it and said he could not fix.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Angie’s List has the absolute worst customer service bar none!! They never call when scheduled to, give half truths on what they provide and their leads are so sparse [three in two months] that the 600.00 they got from us is not near to what Others can provide. Porch, HomeAdvisor, etc. If you try to cancel membership you’re told you “signed” an contract. I guess they figure if they use your debit card that constitutes a contract. Just don’t use them as it’s total BS and a waste of money and time for no results.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Fellow business owners BEWARE. I signed up with Angie's List to promote my business. The sales team is very good at making promises; however, the overall team, including "management", does not hold up their end of the bargain. I agreed to pay $400 a month for advertising. The sales team vehemently stressed the importance of reviews, so we provided 20 customers to contact for references. Angie's List was slower than molasses in obtaining and posting our reviews. The reviews are CRUCIAL to a business, because the consumer wants to feel confident that they are choosing a reputable company. No company appears to be strong and reputable with only a few reviews - especially when the competing companies have several reviews on their profile.

We have excellent relations with customers - who advised that they had given reviews. This was peculiar because the reviews were never posted to our profile. As a business owner in a very competitive field, we felt that Angie's List was breaching contract and promises as they made excuse after excuse as to why our reviews were never posted:

* They are extremely busy.
* The customers did not return their calls.

* The customers could "call in" to create an account. (Why would we burden our customers with this request?).

Blah blah blah. Nothing but lies. So, my partner canceled after managers failed to rectify the lack of customer service. Angie's List then proceeded to draft our bank account for nearly $1,500 in "cancellation fees". Our bank has reversed this in our favor after reviewing the ongoing documentation. Now I must waste more precious time in dealing with their legal department.

Fellow business owners - If you are dealing with this same issue, record the calls and screenshot your profile daily to prove that they are not holding up on their end. Obtain letters from your customers outlining if they were contacted, and if so - when. Build your case, and take it to your Attorney General, BBB and consumer pages like this. Do not become a victim of their SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Now they want your name, address etc. like HomeAdvisor. What happened? Were they bought out by HomeAdvisor? I've used them years ago to see what the reviews were on a local business, not to have a random company call me. This new system is BS.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I've been using Angie's List for years with success, but it's changed. I tried to find a listing of home inspectors and it took me to a page asking if I'd like people to contact me. I clicked something like "no, show me the listing" and it showed me a list of promoted companies - opposite of what I want when I go to Angie's List, but not even the worst part. Then I started getting a bunch of calls and emails from inspectors that say they got my information from HomeAdvisor.com with the indication that I wanted to be contacted. Obviously Angie's List is sharing personal contact information without permission.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After years of off and on silver membership, on Angie's List, I reached out for help since our contractor was not willing to come back on warranty issues. They would not even talk to me since I don't have a gold membership. They don't care that these contractors don't come back or do a good job. You have to pay extra for them to even talk to you and the worst thing is that they WILL NOT ALLOW A CHANGE IN A BUSINESS REVIEW ON THEIR SITE. I think that bothers me the most because I left positive feedback, to keep a nice relationship with this company, in hopes they would be here if we had any warranty issues.

I could have left a negative review, for FairClaims Roofing, but I chose to try and look at any positive... until I had to chase them around to do warranty work and our home is still leaking! I wanted to revise my review and warn others but Angie's List will not allow any revisions. You have to pay extra for this too! They also have a confusing website... where I thought I could revise it and wrote another review. But it couldn't be replaced. I always thought their website was confusing and very slow! In addition, the site crawlers follow you all over and slow down other sites you go to after being on their site.

I'm done with Angie's List and honestly I've been finding better results with "next door" and other sites that have more legitimate reviews. Obviously, Angie's List does not genuinely care about your project or what the outcome is. They only care about taking your money and in return you get poor service, questionable information and a confusing and slow website experience.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

To the advertisers: We are taking them to court for the false and defamatory statement they put (In red letters on top our page on their site) after we cancelled our contract after 6 years of working together. The reason for cancellation was poor performance. To investors and home owners, watch out.

AngiesList.com Company Information