1.35/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

430 AngiesList.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After years of off and on silver membership, on Angie's List, I reached out for help since our contractor was not willing to come back on warranty issues. They would not even talk to me since I don't have a gold membership. They don't care that these contractors don't come back or do a good job. You have to pay extra for them to even talk to you and the worst thing is that they WILL NOT ALLOW A CHANGE IN A BUSINESS REVIEW ON THEIR SITE. I think that bothers me the most because I left positive feedback, to keep a nice relationship with this company, in hopes they would be here if we had any warranty issues.

I could have left a negative review, for FairClaims Roofing, but I chose to try and look at any positive... until I had to chase them around to do warranty work and our home is still leaking! I wanted to revise my review and warn others but Angie's List will not allow any revisions. You have to pay extra for this too! They also have a confusing website... where I thought I could revise it and wrote another review. But it couldn't be replaced. I always thought their website was confusing and very slow! In addition, the site crawlers follow you all over and slow down other sites you go to after being on their site.

I'm done with Angie's List and honestly I've been finding better results with "next door" and other sites that have more legitimate reviews. Obviously, Angie's List does not genuinely care about your project or what the outcome is. They only care about taking your money and in return you get poor service, questionable information and a confusing and slow website experience.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

To the advertisers: We are taking them to court for the false and defamatory statement they put (In red letters on top our page on their site) after we cancelled our contract after 6 years of working together. The reason for cancellation was poor performance. To investors and home owners, watch out.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Over a week and a half and no estimate (roofing). This is the third time I've utilized Angie's List for repairs of some kind and have never hired the company recommended. I doubt I will ever use Angie's List again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Had to jump in here after receiving the fifth call AGAIN for a contractor. The contractors that came were all EXTREMELY overpriced, I do not necessarily blame Angie's List for this, but after getting a contractor outside the website it did seem a little... coincidental... that they were all about 20-30% higher in price. My largest problem however is that they DEFINITELY sell your contact information. They directly answered me with "No, we absolutely do not" when I asked, but there is simply no way that this is true. While you will definitely get many contractors who want to quote you, you will also get MANY contractors who will want to quote you... and won't stop calling. I bought a house a few months ago and for the first time used Angie's List to look for a contractor to start my renovations.

Since using Angie's List, I have gotten four calls per day non-stop and there is no way to have the calls stop coming. I still receive AT LEAST four calls per day, long after I have already stopped even having conversations with contractors... It has been almost two months now and I wish to god I had never used Angie's List in the first place. It has truly been the most obnoxious thing I have had to deal with since buying this house and there is no way to stop it. The contractors say they have no idea what I am talking about, and Angie's List claims that they do not give out information and do not store information either. This is an obvious and blatant lie as me and many like me from reviews I have read, are now getting solicitation calls throughout the day... every day. Definitely was disappointed that this happened and make sure to let people know what to expect if they call Angie's List. I personally will never use the site again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Their process of handling a complaint is so bad. I hired Sam's Retaining Wall due to his reviews on Angie's List seven months ago. I spent 42000 on the patio, wall and fireplace and it is sinking and separating. They continue to support Sam and take his money for advertising while I am out 55,000 to repair what he did poorly. He had an attorney send me a letter to sue me for defamation of character which is against their policy, but this continue to support this unqualified dishonest contractor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: July 31, 2018

I noticed a $9.99 billing on my credit card, and recalled that I wanted a one-time membership to review a potential accountant. I thought it was a ONE TIME deal. No. Apparently it just keeps renewing and then when you try and call, they say, "Your membership doesn't include phone support" (!) Then they don't answer their emails! EXTREMELY frustrating. DO NOT start with these people.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Unhappy with their reviews. Good reviews to THOSE WHO PAY. Even though I canceled my membership in time to avoid an automatic renewal, Angie's List renewed me and charged me on my credit card. If you call the phone number listed on the credit card charge to reach them it results in a recorded message indicating that my membership "does not entitle me to telephone support". I was unable to log in to their website to cancel again or complain. Also no telephone recourse. This has happened for a second year again! Communication with them is next to impossible. A VERY BAD COMPANY. Should you be getting REVIEWS from such a company?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Even though I canceled my membership in time to avoid an automatic renewal, Angie's List renewed me and charged $29.00 on an expired credit card. At the time, you could only cancel by calling (not online) which I did. I disputed the charge and then they charged me a second time. Communication with them is difficult if not impossible. It is ironic for a company that is supposed to warn consumers about disreputable vendors. My only recourse has been to have my credit card company block all future charges by Angie's List. They have now canceled my membership with 9 months left and I am still out $29.00. Absolutely stay away from Angie's List, even if they say it is free!

Original review: July 23, 2018

The Phone Number to reach a HUMAN Angie's List Rep (albeit an off-shore call center in the Philippines) is 888-944-5478. NOTE: ALL Angie's List tel #s end in `-4578; I had the same experience as many others - my calls to Angie's List on a billing issue with my `Silver' membership went NOWHERE, because the ONLY number they publish on their website directed me to'WORTHLESS 'Voice-Mail' system which (1) Told me that my Membership DID NOT ENTITLE me to 'telephone support'; - and (2) Lied about their being 'SEVERAL options for you' to get assistance [only ONE was offered - that one directing callers to a USELESS "Support Center" on their web-page]. Their VM system has NO provision to summon an Operator by hitting 2- or more Zeros.

I got re-directed and disconnected a total of SIX TIMES trying to work via the "Consumer" extension option - so I turned to the "Business" services option. I reached the SAME Business Services Rep twice (my first internal transfer was disconnected) - but the Transfer was completed in my second call - and the off-shore Customer Assistance Center 888-944-5478. GOOD LUCK!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I contacted Angie's List to cancel my service by telephone and they said I did not have the telephone call feature. I then emailed and it said you needed to log in. Well, it's been a while so I didn't remember my password and may have even changed my email address. I keep trying to re-register to no avail. I did contact my auto payment merchant and cancelled the future payments. I still need to tell them I wish to no longer receive their pamphlets due to being a senior on a fixed income. Can you help me?

Original review: July 18, 2018

You answer all these questions with the premise that they have some matching people that can do what you are looking for. Finally, when you get all done, they tell you, "Nope, sorry you spent all that time and energy for nothing." I think they just want to harvest all your information. I never trust a company that strings you on only to pull the rug out from under you when it's time to do what they promised. I would never trust them again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have only used Angie's List 2 times. The first time was to find a housekeeper. I put in the required information, and the end result was a list of companies and reviews I could peruse and call at my leisure to inquire. I did, called a company called "We Clean America", which was short-lived due to being unprofessional. I decided to look at a kitchen remodel also, and did the same process. Little did I know, that a list with reviews was not going to be sent, but within 3 minutes of hitting send, a bombardment and onslaught of calls from companies would start pouring in on my personal phone number. It was relentless. It was constant. It was a nightmare.

One of the companies was under the impression per their deal with Angie's List, that only 3 companies were to be referred per consumer request. It was more like 75-100 companies were given my number. Some of the more aggressive callers, became rude and abusive. It has been 2 months now, and the calls are still coming in. I am now getting solicitation calls from companies that provide services I never inquired about. I still get 2-3 solicitation calls per day. This has become such an invasion into my personal life. Shame on Angie's List.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had two addresses back when their paid subscription service was useful (no free options at the time). I canceled my "membership" in 2014 but they left one account open on auto-renewal. Complaint #1, since I canceled I have not receive a single notice or email from them (so it effectively cut off the emails). Complaint #2, they have been auto-renewing without sending any notice in advance these past 4-years. Complaint #3, I just received a notice of the last auto-renewal occurring 70-days ago with a note saying I have 60-days to cancel for a full refund (so the cancellation period had just expired). It is deceptive and dishonest to auto-renew without notice BEFORE the renewal date. They did agree to renew the last charges but not for "expired memberships".

Original review: July 13, 2018

Been with Angie’s List for 2-3 months and have received zero leads, they are telling me I need more reviews to be seen and that I need deals or coupons to bring in leads. I’m spending $300 a month for me to work at making deals and getting reviews that don’t work and seeing zero return on my investment, already spent $600 going on $900 with Angie’s List and have received nothing in return, highly disappointing with the interaction with this company. And if you cancel with them they will charge you 35% of remaining balance of contact to get more out of you, this company is a joke. Please stay away and use your marketing dollars somewhere else.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Don't use Angie's List. They claim they are 'free'. They are not. They are complete cons. I signed up four years ago when I bought a new home in a new area. I could never find anyone reliable through them, so I canceled. The next year they auto-renewed my account even though I specifically set my account to NOT auto renew. I called, they refunded. The next year it happened again (TWICE they tried to charge me every three months). I called, they said it was my fault but when I got the CC company involved they backed down. I demanded they delete my information. They agreed. Now this year, the THIRD year in a row, they are trying to auto renew my account again. I called, but now they say my "membership does not include talking to a representative," but I can fill out a form online or PAY MORE than the base membership to talk to someone. WHAT A SCAM! Finally I had to block them as a vendor on my CC side to try and make it stop.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Noticed a charge on my bank statement. Turns out it was an auto renewal (frustration #1). My bad for not canceling. Went to cancel and my plan does not accept phone calls to their service center (#2). I have to go online to cancel. Follow instructions, go online and the option to cancel is not available (#3). Their instruction say just click the cancel membership button. Left a online message and I'm yet to hear back (#4). VERY DECEITFUL tactics for a company that prides itself on vetting service companies. Not a shock coming from a dying company though. Google, Yelp do the same thing for free!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Since AL was sold, my micro business has been flooded with spam calls from loan companies. I couldn't figure out why. Today I get junk mail from AL/OnDeck for a ridiculous business line of credit. I put 2 + 2 together. I have never purchased AL's service but used to get periodic calls re: fake derogatory reviews. No more. I have no idea what is on their site now re: my business but I hope to close soon and return to my corporate career. Yahoo is worse and will not remove fake reviews. Never claim your business profile on any site. Never.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Indoor Painting from Certified painters - I got an ok job, it has been a couple months since my painting project, and the more time goes by the less satisfied I am. The more I see the more I am disappointed. I did pay in full plus more for the job as he told me the estimator did not count all the doors properly. Shame on me. Shame on me for finding a lot of problems after he got paid. I still have to patch some areas of holes, I found he did not fill, I still am missing a screw in the banister he took down. I think I a non professional could have done at least as good if I had the time... The ceiling lines I now see was drawn freehand not with tape. I mentioned this before paying and he fixed some, but I did not see the other areas he messed up. Just be careful before paying them a lot of money, they have not true professionals doing their painting.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I recently start up a new business and decided to get on Angie's List to help promote my business. I opted for "Top Spot" which cost about $100 a month and you have to sign a year contract. I am now into 6 months of this service and have received no customers at all. I called to complain and try and get my money back to no avail. They said it was because I didn't have many reviews. Hard to get reviews when you aren't getting customers. I said I wasn't buying that reason because I was getting leads from Home Advisor (their sister company).

She then said they didn't have very many members in my services, they didn't share this with me when I signed up and my area covers 120 miles in any direction. I then asked to be released from the contract due to their non-performance. Nope, I am obligated for the balance of the contract. Chalk this up to one of life's experiences I guess. Would never recommend Angie's List to any pro looking to expand their business.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I found out from a FB group I am in - Angie's List sold to HomeAdvisor. I google it and read up on it. I have been with Angie's List 5+ years and I have been happy with the service. I have a good website and I get a lot of referrals already so it supplements my workload. I noticed I had not had any calls or messages from members since January which didn't make sense. Nor had anyone from Angie's List call me like they used to do. They will call me to renew my advertising fee which I am dropping, and the emails to advertise in their magazine as honor roll. You have to pay for it... lol.

It all makes sense they sold out but conveniently haven't told their members or contractors, what gratitude. My beef the only one, has been you can get a feedback grade never having provided a service. So if someone gets upset because you don't call them back right or don't want the work, they can give you an F. It does get posted though and you can't remove it. I don't agree with it, then they just tell you it doesn't count for much. I disagree.

If HomeAdvisor does not do reviews then I guess I lose all mine when they consolidate. Also someone mentioned about leads going over to HomeAdvisor, makes sense because I have never had this kind of drought with AL. When they consolidate I assume the format will be all leads. This was once Service Magic which charges for leads. I think it will be time to drop this service for AL to sell out sounds like corporate greed. They probably signed a contract to not tell anyone so HomeAdvisor and keep on operating business as usual with no support whatsoever. Thank you Angie Hicks.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Reynolds Water Conditioning Co. - This company did a great job installing our new water treatment system. I found their pricing to be comparable with other water treatment systems, however I have had previous experience with this company when I had their saltless irrigation system installed and was very pleased with the equipment and ease of use. The salesperson/owner who quoted the job and ensured timing for job explained everything about their equipment and the ease of maintaining. The technician was on time, very professional, knowledgeable and detailed from start to finish. Additionally we had the osmosis system added on for drinking water. He took time to ensure that we fully understood all the systems installed. I highly recommend this company if you're looking for a water treatment system of any kind.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am a board member of a association in West Palm Beach Fla. We very badly needed concrete work done on our walkways and steps. We shopped around and found Concrete Solutions. Neal (the owner) came over and gave us a estimate on having all three buildings repaired some of the walkways needed to be lifted also. The price was right. They started the job within a week and I cannot say enough about things about the company. They are very clean, never left trash around and they worked everyday nine or ten hours a day. The work is beautiful. I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good job done, big or small.

Original review: May 30, 2018

AngiesList.com sent “professional” for $150 who did NOTHING! I asked for pest control. Came out with big bill for visit and bigger estimate to rid of one bug nest. Total rip off. Fraud. Never use AngiesList. Second bad experience where we paid for someone who could not help. Can’t believe AngiesList is not shut down by Feds.

Original review: May 28, 2018

WHAT CHANGED??? I have advertised through AngiesList for the last 5 years (2013-2018) for my 12 year old landscaping company. I’m currently paying them $1000 a month and getting ZERO RESULTS. Each year I continue to increase my monthly advertising due to the success I’ve had until NOW... I can’t handle the BS excuses I received in the last six months to why am getting zero results or calls or emails.

Ever since they were acquired by HOMEADVISOR at the end of 2017 the results have STOPPED. I’ve talk to my account rep and multiple supervisors over the last six months and they keep giving me the runaround and bogus computer data feedback telling me I’m getting 130 hits per month. TOTAL BS! I was even invited to their 2017 Las Vegas party for being in the top 2% of my industry in the country for the landscaping industry... ever since the announcement at the Las Vegas party of the acquisition between Home Advisor and AngiesList the results have literally been nonexistent. They continue to bill me $1000 a month and take no responsibility or real care for any results given. I would stay away from this scam and avoid these two companies at all cost. Use your advertising budget in a way that actually produces results for your business.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I signed my business up with AngiesList five months ago and have never revived one call. Good thing my business is taking off on its own and I don’t need them. They are trying to put me in Collections for not paying my deactivation bill. I also switched accounts on them so they cannot bill me anymore. This is the company that used to be good back in the early years and now is complete **! Do not sign up with them. Save yourself the headache and try to put that money into advertising on your own. You will be much better. Take it from me. Learned the hard way. I do not have any intention of ever paying these people any money. They are a bunch of Thieves and scoundrels.

Original review: May 22, 2018

When they called me to sell me their service they promised the world. I have been with them for about 9 months now with no leads whatsoever, I even tried to request a contractor in my area. 4 contractors from Home Advisor called me, and on Angie's List website it showed all kind of contractors but it did not show my company's name. I called them to cancel. They want to charge me 35% of the remaining balance for the year, I am thinking of taking them to court if I get enough people to join me. I think we can get them to refund our money, they a big scam. If you have not joined them don't do it. Run away as fast as you can from them because if you don't they will take your money and run with it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was promised the world. I was talked into 300 a month. Once signed could not reach the person who signed me up. I'm with them for three months so far. Not one lead. Do not deal with them. If I can stop another person from joining through this post I'll be happy. Biggest scam.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Have been members for many years. Just this year that were bought by the people who own HomeAdvisor. This caused us to pay for the same lead twice. Once for HomeAdvisor and once for Angie's List. Was told this was not so and if we wanted to cancel our contract they would charge us a cancellation fee. DON'T use Angie's List. HomeAdvisor is so much better with GOOD customer service. I would never refer anyone to Angie's List.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Angie’s List is a sorry company and shadow of what it once was, After they changed their business model, billing and charging contractors and workers. Then opening up their services to the basic public an unsavory characters, my experiences with them have really gone downhill and my experiences with the customers that are now using their services been aggravating.

When complaining in resolving issues with problematic customers seems only work for short period of time and once you have a dispute with them to go and search out bad reviews and post them again, even though the complaints were resolved and Business can go on as before. The type of service they provide is totally unnecessary in this day and age. It’s a antiquated service and a better response could be gotten elsewhere. I find them to be untrustworthy and the customers and consumers that use their service are mostly unsavory and have bad intentions. Please let them die and wither on the vine.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Our small company has been trying to cancel the contract that was created by an ex business partner and we are constantly given the runaround and are told we would have to pay a percentage to cancel the contract with Angie's List. They are taking money from our company for doing nothing. We have not had one client or even a lead from Angie's List but they continue to get their money every month. They are definitely not trying to help your business by any means. I have resorted to Twitter to contact someone and get this resolved. PLEASE DO NOT JOIN ANGIE'S LIST if you are a small business or any business for that matter. They are not a reputable company and will do anything they can not to cancel your contract with them.

AngiesList.com Company Information

1995
1030 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis
IN
www.angieslist.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business