3.5/5 (589 ratings)
Angie's List (Now Angi)

About Angie's List (Now Angi)

Angi helps homeowners find trusted local professionals for all their home improvement needs. Users can see honest reviews from other local homeowners for businesses in their area, then hire the ones they want directly through Angi’s website. The Happiness Guarantee protects homeowners if they aren’t satisfied. More than 150 million people have used Angi, according to the company’s website.

Pros

• Free to use
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Verified customer reviews
  • Financing options

Cons

• Complaints about calls and emails
  • Customer service by phone weekdays only

Bottom Line

Angi is an online company that matches homeowners with companies for home improvement services. Users can see verified customer reviews and get quotes to compare multiple contractors. A Happiness Guarantee protects customers.

What is Angi?

Angi is an online company that connects homeowners with home improvement services. Originally known as Angie’s List, the company rebranded in 2021 and is backed by more than 20 years of experience, information and homeowner reviews.

Homeowners who are looking for professionals for home improvement jobs can find vetted companies in their area. Angi lists both interior and exterior services. You can read verified reviews from previous customers to help you choose the right professionals. You can also compare quotes, book instantly, get financing and read how-to articles.

How does Angi work?

Angi operates similarly to a search engine. You search for the services you’re looking for help with, and Angi provides you with all your local options. You can either book instantly with a company, or you can request quotes and comparison-shop. You also have access to verified ratings and reviews from other local homeowners.

Some of the popular home services offered through Angi include:

• Home cleaning
  • Handyman services
  • Window cleaning
  • Roofing

How much does Angi cost?

Angi is free to use to get quotes, research local contractors and book services. If you want more, there are membership options with extra perks:

• Angi Savings Membership: Members get unlimited access to 20% savings on more than 150 fixed-price services.
  • Angie’s List Green: Legacy members get the benefits of the Angi website, plus a digital subscription to Angi Magazine.
  • Angie’s List Silver: Legacy members get 20% off pre-priced services, plus a print and physical subscription to Angi Magazine.
  • Angie’s List Gold: Legacy members get all the benefits of the Silver membership, plus access to a Complaint Resolution Team to help if an issue arises with a company.

For information about membership costs, start by creating an account on the Angi website. You can also call or email the company for more information.

Angi FAQ

Who owns Angi?
IAC has majority ownership of Angi. IAC’s brands also include Care.com and Dotdash. IAC is based in New York City.
How do I use an Angi coupon?
If you have a promo code, you can enter it at checkout. If you’re paying the contractor directly, you will need Angi Pay on the Angi app.
Do Angi pros have to pass a background check?
Yes, Angi screens the owner or principal of each business in its network. The background check includes a criminal records search. Angi also verifies state-level licensing and requires that each business attests that it carries local licensing.
How do I cancel my Angi membership?
You can cancel a membership online through your account, or you can call Angi.
How can I list my business on Angi?
Business owners can create a free business profile on Angi. A business may be added when a customer posts a review about its work.

Is Angi legit?

Angi is a well-established company with a network of over 250,000 professionals in over 500 home improvement categories. Users can research local companies, read reviews, find pricing information and book services all in one place and at no charge. With its Happiness Guarantee, Angi promises to make things right if you aren’t satisfied with a service. If you have a home project and need a contractor, it’s easy to use Angi to get quotes from multiple prescreened companies.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angie's List (Now Angi)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angi?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

This experience was flawless from beginning to end...Manuel was nothing but friendly and professional. His first contact with me was only about forty-five minutes after I requested the quote via Angie's. He was very punctual and kept in constant contact with me. The price of replacing my wood fence gate was very reasonable and he performed the work in a very timely manner. I realized that he made an exception for me as his company usually performs larger jobs, but he wanted to take care of my need. The gate looks great and I am totally satisfied! Manuel put customer service first and I could not be happier. He will be the one I reach out to whenever I need his services in the future, and I will refer anyone I can to reach out to him for similar services.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Had my kitchen and countertops repaired plus flooring in kitchen and dining room. Work was completed by Unique JNZ Home-services the contractor Juan ** did a great job with the cabinets and flooring. I only had one minor problem that was not caused by Juan but by Apex stone and granite which Juan recommended was the granite countertops was poor quality granite. It had many small chips, scratches and flaws that were not noticed until after the countertops were installed. Overall I am pleased with the outcome of the repairs and after a granite inspection done they stated that the granite that Apex sold was a quality 6/10 rating. I got what I paid for the inspector stated. As a contractor Juan was very professional, courteous and on time. He cleaned up all his trash from the repairs after his work was completed. I would recommend Juan to anyone who may need home repairs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Angie's helped me identify 3 contractors that had the qualifications and good reviews I was looking for to do a repair job. The information I gleaned from other reviewers was invaluable to me in doing this; it is very hard to identify skilled craftsmen in our local area! The reviews also helped steer me away from a couple of contractors that multiple people had had bad experiences with. I then called all 3 contractors I'd identified for assessments of the job, and their estimates. 1 turned out to be a dud outright (pawned me off to someone else who never called back). The remaining 2 were both well qualified based on their assessments, but the one I chose was about $500 less expensive!! So thank-you Angie!! I greatly appreciate the service you provide!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Colonial Van Lines, Pompano Beach, Fl should not be in business. After contracting with them 3 months in advance and putting down a deposit, they left us stranded 2 days before our move. We were asked to give them 3 days possible for our move. We did this and the day before our 1st day were told that they were not able to move us at all! Frantic because we had to out of the house we sold, we contacted Angi. The woman sent me a list of local movers immediately. This was on a Sunday and only one moving company answered their phone. Top Notch Movers, Madison, WI. We were moving to SC. The owner stated he would make it happen and he did. The next day he had his movers over and we were out of the house that night. He had to store our belongings because he had other moves scheduled but made sure to help us out. They delivered our things a week later as promised.

Angie's List (Now Angi) response

Hi Janet, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! We are happy to see that you had such a positive experience with one of our moving pros. Feel free to reach out to our Customer Care team at homeowner@angi.com for any of your future project needs. -AngiSupport

Original review: June 17, 2021

Richard went over and above installing my driveway. He knew City of Portland code and was very reasonable on price, and quality of his work was superior. He also set 5 beams for my patio cover while he was there which was not included in bid. This company was the best contractor experience I've ever had and I have hired many contractors so I speak from experience. This contractor does more than driveways and is very experienced in his knowledge. He was always on time and his crew was fast, accurate, and timely. My driveway and patio cover are beautiful. I will hire Richard and his team on every construction job I have in the future and I know I will not have to worry about any of the details of the job, I can actually relax and leave it all up to Richard. Thanks Richard. You were delightful and trustworthy.

Angie's List (Now Angi) response

Hi Deborah, Thanks so much for sharing with us your positive experience with this pro! It's great to hear that you have found a pro you can entrust your future projects with. If you haven’t done so already, feel free to leave them a review either through the app or at www.angi.com. -AngiSupport

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Angie's List is highly advertised in our area, however, every time I have tried to use it I get very poor service. The last experience was for a drywall contractor. I received one estimate and though we contacted the company to do the work I received no response. I also contacted the customer service at Angie's and they were extremely rude. I guess my cash payment was no interest to them. I have several more projects in line but will use their competition. What a waste of my time.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I used Angi for Fixed Price Services. The Pros scheduled with Angi were not experienced, fully equipped, or on time. I was left purchasing hundreds of dollars of equipment that I have no use for, and my wall still does not have wallpaper. The wall is 8ft tall and 11ft wide. Angi recommends 3 hrs. I have had two "Pros" spend 6 hours not completing the project and requesting more money.

Claim by Angi: When you book fixed-price wallcovering or wallpaper installation services, you’ll be connected with local professionals who can take care of your request. In addition to freeing up your time for the more important things in life, booking a fixed-price wallcovering or wallpaper installation service will give you the security of knowing that things are being handled by an expert. If you’d rather leave things to a professional, then we are ready to help.

Response to Claim: Angi list takes 2/3 of the total project cost. The pro is then only wanting to spend the allotted time and charge more money. All while supplies are not included. I have now spent two Saturdays and an additional $300. I believe the latest "pro" made mistakes that will require purchasing additional wallpaper.

The following is my review of the claims vs. what actually happened.

Angi Description -1. 1. Pick a time. No more delivery windows! Select the exact day and time for your service to get instant, affordable pricing. Response 1 - The two "pros" showed up late to each appointment. Instant affordable pricing is deceptive as the price does not include supplies or equipment. The price is also just based on hours. The "Pro" ends up spending more time so they can get paid because Angi takes 2/3 of the fee you pay.

Angi-2. Book instantly. We'll confirm your appointment and take care of payment electronically and securely. Response 2- Payment electronically- The "Pros" don't know how to use the app to charge you for additional supplies, or time. You have to pay them cash for additional services outside of the allotted time.

ANGI- 3. Your pro arrives. An experienced, fully-equipped professional will show up on time at your door! Response 3: I thought I was paying for this experience. The "pro" that showed up each time did not have equipment, and were lacking experience. I had to explain how to do the project to the first "pro". The second pro requested equipment to be purchased, but then didn't complete the project.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We loved our landscaper… BUT when we went to pay though Angi the site was extremely difficult to maneuver. I received only one message that payment went through…. BUT when we reviewed the credit card statement was BILLED twice. When we contacted Angi, could not get through to a person, so emailed them. When they finally got back to us (in greater than 24 hours which was promised on the contact site)… received a limp apology and basically a message that they would have to look into it and it would take an additional 1-3 days for them. To get back to us. SO…. Basically they have stolen money from us and seem not too interested in refunding ASAP. Also, from my understanding they take money from the good folks that work through this site.

My recommendation is to NOT to USE ANGI and work directly through the home improvement workers. Angi is NOT a caring or reputable company. I don’t know about any of you… I don’t have money sitting around to wait for them to repay me…. When the site is not user friendly and very poor! They are thieves in my mind!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Two of Angi’s recommendations were very overpriced. The moving company that I found on my own was terrific. So I wrote a review on their site. It was very easy to navigate that site to leave a review.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

We have had very good success with Angie's List. We have used this site for several projects over several years and it has been a tremendous help. I would recommend them to family and friends without reservation.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Company Information