AngiesList.com

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I should have read all review about Angie's list before I became a member and put my company name on their profile. I'm blown away by their flat out lies and business practice. If a referral company as large as Angie's list cannot be honest with business they do business with then what can anyone do to show consumer they are a good company. I bought into a ad they ran for 268.00 a month for a spot in the top 25 contractor for a area and for a month I got not one call. So I call them and they tell me before it start I have to have at least 5 referral and I only had 3. Wow I said I wish I would have know this before I joined and spent 268 of my money on nothing.

So I told them I did not want to pay anymore till I got to 5 referral and then they tell me it's a contract for a year and I will be honest - I went by what the lady told me I was signing was a background check of who we are and I did not read it at all. It was a contract. I was very mad at myself for this. That being said I told the rep that how could you make someone pay for something they can't use and his reply was "I understand but it's a contract". So I did not pay it and now they took my company info down and I've not heard a word back and no reply. Be very very very careful with them and don't believe anything a rep tells you. Too many issue.

I went online, hired a cleaning service, was IMMEDIATELY charged for that service, and then spent the next week trying to track down the service provider. NOTHING...zero response. Angie's List should be ashamed to allow service providers to advertise deals without checking on that provider. After the provider ignored 4 emails, I contacted Angie's List and asked for a full refund. Now, I have to wait another week to get that refund. Basically, with Angie's List, you rely on them to provide you with names of trustworthy providers, and then they take your money and you are on your own to try to track down the service. WASTE of time and terrible way to run a company.

I signed up on Angie's List yesterday and afterwards I found some disturbing things about the company, so I choose it to be better to stay from Angie's List. I called this morning to cancel my contract with them, they were very rude about it, try to tell me I couldn't cancel and refused to refund my money. I would say 238 dollars for 24 hours is a bit harsh. So if you are a contractor and looking to increase call volume beware once you sign up. They will hold you responsible. I choose Angie's List because I was told they were better than HomeAdvisor. Well, HomeAdvisor done me wrong and so did Angie's so I am done working with companies like this.

I am so disappointed to hear that Angie's List charges recommended businesses to be on their lists. I thought Angie got her money from charging customers for referrals. I recommended a very good air conditioning business and was so unhappy to hear that he was going to be charged to be on Angie's list.

I received an F review from a former pissed off client who tried to hold me responsible for an area of expertise I am not licensed to perform, nor did he pay. Client did not order or refused the common practice of obtaining a WDO/termite inspection prior to closing on his property. 5 months later he tries to black mail me - stating I should have reported termite damage which 1) I was performing a basic home inspection, not a termite inspection, 2) termite inspections are only performed by a licensed pest control operator, client was aware of this at the time of inspection, 3) he submits photos on the Angie's List review board, which I can't counter with my own photos at time of inspection.

Any termite professional knows that they even check off all areas of attic are not visible and typically after 30 days. This is on top of all the low ballers coming out of the woodwork as Angie's continually oversells ADV space - allowing competitors to under cut each other. It is not worth doing business with Angie's List any further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

I am a contractor on Angie's List and I have an account with them. As of today I have 6 reviews, but when I log in on Angie's List and search for my business I do not show up in the results... I see all kind of other businesses including (after search result 5 or 6) businesses that are not even in the same industry as I am.

I called Angie's List and asked them: "Why when I type the name of my business I do not see our business in the search results, we have 6 reviews, all of them are A's, 100% customer satisfaction, and would recommend and/or rehire me?" The customer rep responded that if we do not pay we do not appear in the search results. This means that when YOU want to hire a contractor and search on Angie's List you will not necessarily find the contractors with the best rating, but the ones that pay to be on the search results!! Do not trust Angie's Reviews. They clean up the names of companies that pay well and disregard those that do not pay them.

The company I work for was notified by a client that we had a review with an "F" grade on Angie's List. I went to the site and saw that it was posted the exact day that a disgruntled former employee left the company. He also mentioned information that would have never been mentioned by a client because it is, in fact, false information. We never serviced him at all.

I contacted Angie's list numerous times and got the runaround. They said that I'd have to provide this former employee's employment information in order for us to prove that it was him. Funny stuff. We then asked them to just remove the entire listing of our company as we had never listed ourselves anyway, and they did it without our permission, but they refuse to remove it. After reading all these complaints on this site with similar situations and all the false reviews... it sounds to me like someone should initiate a class action lawsuit. It's about time something is done about this bogus company that is ruining business for so many.

I'm writing this to warn you against making the same mistake I did. Since joining I tried using their referrals for numerous jobs around my home with no success. What I've found was referrals to overpriced services from contractors were consistent no matter what I was looking for. This is fine and it's my right to decline and continue searching elsewhere but since joining I've received solicitations by phone twice and by email daily, both NOT what I signed up for! Do yourself a favor and do not make the same mistake I did by actually paying them to become a nuisance to me. Their emails; they've stooped so low as to send emails occasionally with an alert type subject Account needs attention. Pathetic.

I purchased landscaping 3D design through Angie's List online. The local landscaping contractor contacted me, and I made an appointment with them. A guy showed up and spent 3 minutes on my lot, then left. The company asked if I was interested in hiring them to do the landscaping job. I told them that I had to see their design first. They never gave me the design I paid. I emailed them and called them so many times asking them to email me the design if they didn't have time to come.

Eventually, I called Angie's List. Told them what happened. They said they would help me to get my money back, but I never received refund so I called Angie's list again, and found out that they closed my case without refunding me. I kept calling and I paid for service in September 2016. Now I have not received service and would not receive refund. Over all, this company is not honest and is not reliable. The contractor they assigned to you would only care about money. Stay away from Angie's List no matter how good their deals sound.

Sneaky practices by Angie's List. I sent them a payment by mail through Bill pay but they sent back the check and tried to bill my credit card instead. Causing me to pay more interest instead of taking my bill pay check. The bank has not giving me back the credit money until I prove where Angie's List made a mistake... They say that it was my fault when the whole thing is their fault and are demanding payment. I am out 119.76 and they want me to pay them 119.76. ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS TAKE THE BILL PAY CHECK IN THE FIRST PLACE. DISGUSTED!!!

I was a member of AngiesList since 2014. I was not using the service so I therefore called consumer service to cancel my membership on October 15, 2015. However, on April 23, 2016 I discovered my service was not cancelled as requested. I was unaware that I was being charged $29 monthly for the past 6 months. I contacted AngiesList consumer service for an explanation, I told they never received a cancellation request. Then he proceeded to try to sell me a more expensive package (GOLD PACKAGE). I had interrupt the gentleman several times to get him to RE-cancel my service and a refund. I will only be refunded $29 in 2 weeks.

This is a complete joke. My business signed up to get more service leads and 3 months go by and not a single lead. Paid $300 to join and another $300 a month for 3 months and still ZERO leads. I canceled and they go on to tell me I have a 12 month agreement. I was never told I had a 12 month agreement. And even if there was an agreement I received ZERO leads. So I cancel and they go on to tell me I will be charged $1000 to cancel. And they charged me. So now I will be fighting this company to the end. Worthless-don't buy into the bs business owners. It's a scam. No wonder they make 83 million in revenue a year.

By chance I found a negative review from a person I never did any work for or bid any project from. I contacted Angie's List and they tell me that because their client won't respond back to them they have to leave it up. I now wonder if even their positive reviews are trustworthy. I have been in business since 1985 and have had only happy clients.

I have been an Angie's List member for years. A couple of years ago, I had tremendous problems with them when I purchased their gold membership which was supposed to come with a rebate on the purchase and use of one of their deals. I ended up calling at least 10 times about the rebate and emailing proof several times and it took many many months and way too much effort and follow up to actually get the deal. I was told that was a one time issue with them but from talking with others about Angie's List, it seems to be standard operating procedure. I don't know if they figure by making it so difficult to obtain and making it take so long, maybe the customer would just give up and they could keep all of the funds that were promised. It seems short sighted though because Angie's List also had to pay their employees for all of that time on the phone.

A couple of years ago, I hired a contractor who did a great job. I reviewed his company on Angie's List and hired him for several more jobs. (The contractor pays attention to detail, provides high quality work and a reasonable price. That is tough to find). He told me recently about a problem he was having with Angie's List charging him for advertising without his consent (it was a LOT IMO for his receiving basically nothing) and giving him the run around when he tried to call about it.

I am an attorney so I decided to help him with the issue. Within a couple of days, Angie's List removed my positive review of his company and claimed that there is a conflict of interest. It is not a big deal to either the contractor or myself but I think this shows what kind of company they are. Very spoil sport. How would they search me, as his attorney, and decide to have an issue about the review!?

Someone spent quite a bit of time on that and I wish they would have spent the time taking care of my contractor's issue instead. They don't care that I am representing a client well more than a year after I reviewed him. It seems to me that they are out to punish him any way they can for complaining. Now, if only their "investigation" into their charging him for advertising not provided as agreed would only move as quickly we would not be in this situation. They take MONTHS to review a matter. It also seems that employee turn over is so high, as soon as one "account manager" reviews the matter and is prepared to discuss it, he either quits or is fired and a new "account manager" says he knows nothing about what the last one did.

Logged onto Angie's List website to look up our account and noticed three "F" reviews of my company from people that we have NEVER serviced. Sent an email to AL to make them aware of this and remove these ratings and I have heard nothing from them and ratings still remain!!! We have been in business over 20 years and we are in excellent standing with the City of Springfield's Building Inspectors Office and an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau. Angie's List doesn't even try to make sure reports are accurate!!! This is fraudulent reporting!!!

Purchased an Angie's List "big deal" coupon with cc, no work done whatsoever, now they refuse to refund without "review" taking weeks or months or who knows, years. Paperwork and ad said refund readily available. NEVER PAY AHEAD. When will I Iearn? Will never trust Angie's List again. Apparently they have not learned that a loss of trust is irreparable.

Green Effect Land & Tree - Very reliable, dependable and trustworthy company. Very nice young men. I live in a senior park with our trailers very close. This company took down an 80 foot Pine tree and was very careful and concern not to damage my neighbors homes. I highly recommend this company. Very fair price also! Thank you!

Received one of many calls from AL two days ago and decided to pick up the line. A review was posted with false information at the end of January. Some information in the review was true however this was from 12 years ago but AL allowed the posting to show it from 2016. I brought this to the attention of the AL representative and he told me he did not see this review and that we have an "A" rating. I disagreed with him and told him that from the contractor site it shows a "B" rating and from a consumer site it shows a "C" rating. He still disagreed and I just checked again today, both still show the review and the same grades of B and C. I have the review and response I sent printed along with the judgment document in the case to verify this posting. The rep was even told that PA HIC only requires me to report and judgments less than 10 years old.

I did post a response to the review but it stills shows as "STATUS PENDING" since the review includes AL not verifying what is posted in their reviews. I only have an account because someone did a review and it allows me to monitor any postings. I never have and will not advertise with AL. This experience proves the scam that AL is running just to make money. Fellow contractors, you do not need these types of advertising websites, Google Adwords (money well spent) and word of mouth works just fine. If we contractors don't patronize AL and the others they will cease to exist.

I get a phone call and am given a lot of small talk, I have been called many times; and they want my business. But won't give me a price... But I FINALLY AM TOLD I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERY CATEGORY; and it will be very expensive to be in more than 3 or 4 areas. Hours on the phone and I start to understand they are reading off of a list as to what to say if I SAY something that is on their list. I was never given a price... And came here to make a complaint. Hours to this ** I was told there was never anyone else that left a referral and my customers say they have gone on to the site and left a referral. Now I hate this company... Never going to get any of my money.

My experience with Angie's List started out fine except for the clunky, very user-UNfriendly website which has never been updated for many, many years. Then I wrote one bad review out of a half dozen good ones and what happens? They call him to verify business and he somehow made them not post it!!! I called and over a few months of "Sorry, we are trying to update the manner in which we post."

They finally posted it with a "Warning" at the bottom that this contractor refuses to be on Angie's List and such action is suspect. HOWEVER, they made it so that you could not find his business on a normal search of contractors in the area. You would have to spell out the full name of the business (including LLC, PA, Inc., etc.) or it would never come up. AND a grade did not show at all making you think there were no reviews unless you actually then clicked on it!! You had to go through all those steps to find the hidden review.

I called for another month to see if they could fix that and they always said, "Sir, I see the review." Then I would make them go through the process of a consumer like me to search and they would say, "Oh, I see, sorry we are updating the way we will post reviews soon." But they never do that, obviously. A totally dishonest operation in my experience. They hide or delete bad reviews on request.

After many years of having a $15 Angie's List membership, today my auto renewal was billed at $44! I received no advance notice of this huge price increase. When I contacted Angie's List 'member care,' I was never given an explanation as to when the prices changed or why I was not informed. After some back and forth, I was told that there is a membership similar to my former membership level that is $24.99. I told them to give me that level and refund the difference. I was then told that the person I was dealing with could not refund the difference, but that someone would be in touch in 1 to 2 business days. Ridiculous! The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had been advertising with Angie's List since 2009 to about October 2016 with my AC company. For the first few years we did really well with them, but as they saturated the market in South Florida with sub par HVAC contractors, even unlicensed ones, it became washed out, but that is not why I am upset. For the last 8-12 months we were struggling with them to fix our incorrect grade of a B when it was suppose to be an A, let's all face it. If you are a B rated anything on any online platform, you might as well not be there at all. They admitted to the grade being incorrect in multiple areas of their website, for many months, due to a website platform change.

I had explained to them that "you are portraying my company as a B rated company when it is an A, and I am losing a lot of money because of it" and I refused to pay my advertising money to them until they fixed the issue. To this day they haven't fixed it, and they have put a disclaimer on my account saying that my company does not portray what an Angie's List company requires to be on AL therefore we can no longer advertise with them unless we pay. I was even willing to partial pay for those last 4 months in contract for the incorrect grade, but they left me with no choice but to sue them. They should not be able to knowingly have our incorrect grade and expect payment, they did not hold up to their end of the contract. ADVERTISERS IN SOUTH FLORIDA-STAY FAR AWAY IF YOU ARE THINKING OF JOINING ANGIE'S LIST-BEWARE.

Angie's List is not a reputable guide to "the best" and highest rated business services. We are so confused as to why these ratings are "great" when 2 out of the 3 businesses we hired were not what their ratings showed. A painting contractor had rave reviews but he reeked of alcohol the day he started the job, he sent different painters everyday, no one seemed to know what the other was doing. Another guy we hired to pressure-wash our house did a horrible job and didn't complete what was agreed to. He asked us to give him a good review because he needed the work. He mostly wanted to sit around and talk more than work. We completely lost faith in Angie's List and stopped using their recommendations.

Angies allows fraudulent reviews & does not verify consumer posts. No doubt, Angies will be out of business soon enough!! They collect money from contractors and boost contractor ratings based on a "Pay-to-Play" method. When we paid to advertise, they screened reviews by clients about us to ensure accuracy. When we got only a few leads which were worthless, we stopped advertising. Then Angies stopped ensuring reviews about us were fair... they allowed fraudulent reviews to be posted about our business. Not fair! Not right! Cannot wait to watch Angies go bankrupt!

After purchasing a lawn care deal that I received an email on from Angie's List, I waited two weeks to be contacted by the lawn service. I then called the owner and he informs me he no longer deals with Angie's List due to the 40% service fee they charge. While I don't blame the owner for not wanting to pay a fee, I feel they should have at least contacted me. And as for Angie's List, they charged my credit card for the $99.00, so I guess now I have to get my money back from them. I will NEVER do business with Angie's List again. I no longer give second chances! I should have known better.

In August of 2013 through Angie's List I obtained a contractor to power wash my deck & replace and/or screw in all the screws. I paid Angie's List immediately, their contractor called and set up a date. They showed up on the date and power wash my deck. It was raining, they said due to the weather they will return to finish the job at a later date. It has been over three years, I contact Angie's List every year to complain that the job was never finished. Every year Angie's List replies that since their contractor started the work, I must give them the opportunity to finish.

Over the past two years I've asked them how long must I wait for them to finish before Angie's List will honor a refund? According to Angie's List, apparently this is open-ended and have until I either sell my house or die to finish the work. Angie's List obviously took my money and ran. They want nothing to do with time-consuming complaints indoor fixing any wrongdoing. For this I am for anyone not to use Angie's List for any work, and or services.

I first joined Angie's List about 5 months ago. As a new HVAC (air conditioning) company I wanted to get across to the sales rep. I have a good client base, but I would like an advertising company that could increase my service calls by 3 to 5 calls a week. Since I only have 2 workers I couldn't handle the volume. The rep then said 3 to 5 calls wouldn't be a problem at all in such a busy service area. It's been 5 months without a single call. I asked my account manager how the sales rep fraudulently led me to believe a paid advertising contract would give my company more calls, but still no feedback.

Angie's List is a farce. They do not vet their contractors that they promote on their website. I hired a fraudulent contractor who promotes himself on Angie's List. I would never consult Angie's List again when hiring a contractor. Their website cannot be trusted. I even called and told them about the fraudulent contractor and they did nothing to remove them or even cared about the stress and trauma my family went through.

We needed home services. I signed on with Angie's List. As I always do, I then checked a well-reviewed company with the licensing board in our state. The company's license had been cancelled. There were a number of serious issues, including substandard work and some involving money. I brought this to Angie's List's attention. Nothing happened. We subsequently received several Angie's List "special offers" for this company's services. I contacted Angie's List again; again, nothing changed. Then I wrote an Angie's List review of the company, giving it an "F" rating for this reason. I submitted the review twice. It never appeared.

After a few more identical "special offers" from the company, I contacted Angie's List by chat. The agent told me that the company's owner had told them that he now had a valid license. I checked it with the state licensing board. Both companies are owned by the same individual with the same contact information. However, the company's names (and license numbers) are totally different. The owner may want to continue to use the old name simply for its "good reviews" or because it would cost him to advertise under the new name. However, to me this is deceptive and perhaps illegal. However, I have not been personally harmed by this company, so I am limiting my "complaint" to spreading my experience via this forum.

I am the owner of a small business, Greater Mass Home Improvement, LLC; I would like to share with you my frustration with the popular marketing company Angie's List. I am extremely disappointed with Angie's List, instead helping me to grow my business, this company is putting me out of business. August 2016 I checked out the Angie's List website. I reached out to them to find out how to advertise my business. I spoke with a sales representative and a client success manager several times on how they would market my business, but it wasn't until several calls later did I learn the actual cost. I was reluctant; the sales representative was persistent, even the client success manager joined back in on the conversations. After much back and forth banter the Angie's List sales representative convinced me that there was plenty of work and very little risk involved, assuring me there is more work than contractors.

They topped it off assuring me a client success manager would work with me. The cost was steep but per both the sales representative and the client success manager this amount would easily be returned to me plus more. So, I signed up for two categories of advertisements at $1,500 per month a whopping $18,000 for 1 year. Since signing up, I feel Angie's List has not lived up to their end of this bargain. To date, I've had several customer calls, emails and text to which I respond immediately, then quickly follow-up with project assessment visits and estimates. But disappointingly, I've only secured four customer contracts amounting to $7600 minus materials.

After struggling to pay three month, I reached out to my client success manager. She explains how she can help by connecting me with a special advertising group within Angie's List. They call it Big Deals. This special marketing tool will send out deal offers in behalf of my company (with deadlines) at a reduced rate, to entice any client to purchase a great deal, securing you a job. The kicker is, once the deal is locked in with the client, your company pays them a percentage of what you make on each job through the Big Deal offer. It's a double payout for Angie's List at the expense of my company. I was stunned by this. I voiced my frustration with the offer and their business practices in writing (email) but got no response by email or phone.

AngiesList.com Company Profile