Angie's List (Now Angi)

Angie's List (Now Angi)
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Angie's List (Now Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angie's List (Now Angi)?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Angi?

Original review: May 5, 2021

Avoid Angi. We tried them a second time as a vendor, and our second experience was worst from the first. Poor customer service/support. They were unable to properly set up our company for the correct services we do and do not do. They were unable to rectify an issue of listing our company in cities and counties we do not service. Angi hounded us for a couple of weeks for us to call clients to go to Angi and leave reviews (we have over 30 reviews). Customer service issues with Angi would either not be completed, or we were told they were unable to help. It took over three weeks to cancel after numerous calls. When they tell you a rep will call you back within 48hours, do not hold your breath, we had to call them back after not hearing from them in seven days. After finally cancelling, they billed our card over $400. We received no invoice, nor email explaining the charges. Again, we had to call them for an explanation. Avoid Angi like the plague.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I joined Angie's about two months ago, but never became a member. After researching them further, I found it just wasn't for me. That didn't stop their company from calling me nonstop, to this day. I have lost track of the number of times I have asked them to stop calling me. I have blocked them multiple times, but they'll just call from another number and leave message after harassing message. I have called corporate and complained and was supposedly put on a "do not call list, I have called and asked to be deleted from their system. Which was also another lie. I have called supervisors, to no avail. I tried calling their HR, but they don't have one, I've been told.

When asked to transfer to their version of HR, it's a never ending music hold. I've been called, texted and emailed multiple times. I've been harassed by one agent sending me personal texts, asking why I won't answer the phone and why I won't join! How is this legal? I have filed grievances with the BBB, but they're toothless. They will not stop till I guess I just cave in and give them money, again; HOW IS THIS LEGAL? Avoid them AT ALL COSTS, they are parasites. If not, enjoy the never ending harassment and intimidation.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I went to Angie's List to find a Pool Cleaning Company. Found that this is now Angi. I had not heard good things from Contractors but I thought as a consumer it might be different. What a waste of time.

Original review: April 29, 2021

About 10-13 years ago I signed up with this firm. We had a good run was good for both of us. During covid-19 we decided at the beginning of the year to rebrand my company and allocated advertising funds that did not include Angieslist and we would not be renewing our subscription. I understand we are under contract for 12 months "anniversary" term I've been in business for over 20 years. Well, we received an email from angieslist that they were no longer and now it is Angi. Looks like someone bought them out or they decided to re brand also. At this time I thought well who knows what is going to happen next? Who owns it? Chris ** serviced our agreement and was my rep (contact) for our current term. They took over $1,000.00 from my account for early termination fees during an unprecedented time where we all are looking closely at our resources!

I requested to terminate and I received this response when I found out about the resources taken from my account. "There was never a conversation that involved waiving early termination fees." I stated: “Yes, I already cancelled it the first time. It will run until the end of your monthly anniversary date”. "When you requested to cancel, the account was cancelled. And the advertising runs until your monthly anniversary date then the advertising is pulled. It was cancelled before the contract was up and that comes with early termination. If you wanted to reinstate, I believe we can get those fees waived, but if not, they will stick".

My argument is that they trick you into the term "Anniversary". It is deceiving to distract the client into believing it's yearly when in fact they use it in the context of monthly. Shame on me for not catching this, but I gotta say it's pretty crafty. I thought I would escalate this to a supervisor or someone that would see my point and maybe have some compassion, take into consideration our long term relationship. Kim **'s response to my concern: "I wanted to follow up on Chris' email. Chris is correct. When you entered this business-to-business advertising arrangement by signing our contractual agreement, you agreed to work with Angi for 12-months to help you achieve your business goals over the 12-month time. By cancelling early, that nullified what you agreed to do. The consequence is initiating the Early Termination Fee, plus any unpaid advertising months.

As a business owner I am sure you understand contracts. Angi has been around for over 25 years because of the value add we have provided to thousands upon thousands of excellent service pros like you. I want to help you and I can help you. If you are open to a conversation about re-engaging with Angi as a featured advertising partner, please call me at ** or reply to this email.

If you are not interested, there is no need to contact me and we will follow our collection process (which if not resolved will lead to your account being sent to a debt collector.) My hope is you reach out to me to discuss what we need to do to get you back to the Angi money table.

Drive Success to Your Business, TODAY!

Kind regards,

Kim **
      Advertising Client Experience Manager
      Angi Corporate Headquarters

** (phone) | ** (text)"

I Told Kim on our final phone call that they needed to change the term "anniversary" as it is very misleading. Who has monthly anniversaries? Really? Please, in the world of contracting weddings, I mean when you hear the term anniversary first thought is yearly no one I know celebrates monthly anniversary? I asked Wikipedia this is the definition: "An anniversary is the date on which an event took place or an institution was founded in a previous year, and may also refer to the commemoration or celebration of that event. For example, the first event is the initial occurrence", anyways I thanked him for the run. They lost in my opinion the best client they ever had that paid their bills over 10 years on time.

I gave them the opportunity to make it right but they took the greed route. I hope nothing but the best for them as far as I am concerned they failed and I will never endorse them nor give them my hard earned advertising dollars ever again. Thank you angieslist for the run good bye angi. Needless to say I was not impressed and concluded to absorb the cost and move on. I serve a great God that will replenish the loss. Stay safe and healthy. I really hope this comment helps someone. My very Kindest regards Andy.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I am a senior that needed a contractor. Angi advertizes certified experts. I got one who took my downpayment but did no work. It is over a year now. I fell for all the lies. Last week the contractor still was A certified. Angie’s list said they did a background check. I started with the business license - not in good standing. Then I went to the court cases - 7 pages. Then I noticed there was a similar review about taking money a year before but no work. Now both negative reviews have disappeared. The construction company with many names is listed as Done Rite Construction with Bobby Wise. I found other names associated. I just want money I paid returned. No more stories. It is over a year.

Original review: April 22, 2021

The company Has lied every step of the way. Bogus leads, being charged more than what was agreed on, and he’s a major pain to try to get anything fixed. Stay away from Angie’s list, HomeAdvisor, and all the other companies they have under their name.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Buyer beware! The Moving Company is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and can be neither trusted nor referred as a competent relocation partner! SHAME ON ME FOR TRUSTING THEM. Moving is, in and of itself, a stressful time for most people. Especially when you take particular care of your stuff and have high expectations of those you select to assist you with the process. That said, this review is intended to warn others to do their homework and be extra careful when selecting a moving company.

At first, my impression of these people was quite positive and of no concern whatsoever. A mentality I had was ‘let’s get this done together, I trust you’. Now that it’s said and done, in hindsight, I was so very mistaken. Be sure not to make the same mistake. Get multiple bids and ensure they do a detailed inventory of your belongings. During the move, watch their EVERY move. They won’t always be forthright about having damaged your stuff. But you’ll notice it days later after you’ve made payment as you settle into your new place. Also, be sure to take a look inside the truck once your belongings have (supposedly) all been moved to your new residence. Things get honestly (or otherwise) missed.

1) The cost of my move was grossly underestimated. The original estimate was for $2100 which seemed reasonable. Given all of the positive online reviews, coupled with their initial (and ultimately grossly underestimated) cost, I blindly selected The Moving Company. Not only was their cost underestimated by 76% (I ultimately paid them $3700), the move required two trucks on two separate days scheduled one week apart. This could have been a worse problem but fortunately the first move was well before my closing date. This cost estimate was also after I invited them to my home to see my stuff and was assured their estimator is so very good that there would be no reason for me to think their estimate was totally inaccurate. SHAME ON ME FOR TRUSTING THEM.

2) Several of my belongings were damaged including my beloved piano. Why would they assert they have the expertise to move a piano and then mess it up royally? Such a disappointment. Had I known they didn’t have this expertise, I would have hired this item out separately. I’ve been quite forgiving for other damaged items. Moving is just plain hard on stuff. But now that they have failed to compensate me for the damage to the piano, in hindsight, I should have demanded the other damaged items be included in the ‘insurance claim’. SHAME ON ME FOR TRUSTING THEM.

3) Missing items. 2 missing boxes I am unable to confirm as received. Another item was admittedly not moved off the truck by the driver/mover. It was confirmed as still being on the truck the following morning. I’ve been promised they will ship this item to me or have it placed on a truck when they have another job to my destination city. It makes me wonder how many other items were missed getting off their truck which I just haven’t yet realized are missing. Now my telephone calls to retrieve my property go unreturned. SHAME ON ME FOR TRUSTING THEM AND FOR PAYING THEM PRIOR TO AFFIRMING ALL ITEMS WERE MOVED OFF THE TRUCK!

So, here I am in my new home and, having written this honest review, only now do I have closure to my poor buying decision. The only way I can move on (no pun intended) is to describe my experience, albeit an unforgiving review for these people. They have demonstrated no care but rather complete apathy for my belongings which I have worked hard over my lifetime to obtain. Hopefully this will allow them to rethink their unscrupulous business practices and consider treating others as they would like to be treated. Do yourself a favor and be forewarned, this is not a business to trust especially for a life changing event such as moving.

Original review: April 6, 2021

This company is recommended by Consumer Affairs. Angie's List. Everything they do is highly unethical if not illegal. They rip off both the contractors and homeowners. They double dip for the same lead across all of their different companies that they own including HomeAdvisor, Fixd, Handy.com, and others. They have fake websites posing as individual construction companies. Their managers change the spend targets for leads on contractor's accounts without their knowledge or agreeing. The sales reps lie and are promoted too. They do not tell new members they are locked into an annual contract, I paid them $300 to advertise and now I am out $2,700 ($1800 to cancel contract). They are now filling other site boards such as Sitejabber and BBB with good reviews from homeowners to cover up.

If the contractor doesn't have the proper licensing for what he does the sales reps will change the state and tasks so they can get a deal. Now they are ripping off the homeowner with their fixed pricing. If you get Any leads they are for things your company does not do and you are lucky if you get a single lead. There are tons of other illegal things going on. Too many to count. I had a horrible experience with them. Do your research and you will find this is one of the biggest scams out there running businesses into the ground by the minute. You will only get a big hole in your bank account!!

Original review: April 6, 2021

Updated on 04/12/2021: Round 2 continued: So I got the email from HomeAdvisor Powered by Angi which said Here is your fixed-price quote for your work: $240 minus our friendly 15% discount results in $204- simply click here or Prefer to Book by Phone? Me, being a doubting first-timer thanks to several previous surveys here on this helpful website, I'd rather talk to a person so I make the Call 567-205-3672 option. The slightly-accented friendly person picks up after a nominal wait and says, "Sure I can help you start your project: please give me your credit card number and only after the work is completed will your card be charged." Hmmm, do I trust Angi? Sure, what could go wrong?

The rep says, "I have your appt set up for Wednesday." Wow- that's quick which I appreciate: "Wed as in tomorrow or next week Wed?" "No not next week, tomorrow." Great I say. "What's the final price?" "$413 discounted down to $333- quite a savings for you right?!?" "WOW hold the phone, what happened to $204 or even $240?" "Yes I see the $240 but that isn't right; but I can start your project for the huge savings of $333." To me, that would be a savings for my project. But I'm losing interest fast: "I need to talk to a manager." "Ok, np, I'll connect you."

I get the email setting up my appt for the Following Wed, and Just for kicks, I check my credit card account- sure enough- a pending charge for $333. Good things come in threes? After another nominal wait I talk to a kind-speaking accented person with matching-noise-volume of the call-center that he is in. "Can you make sense of this?" "Sure," he says, "Everything looks right to me: $333 for the following Wed." Me, "I'm ready to cancel." Np, he says, "No more appt and no charges." And I'm out, Whew, done and done.

Original Review: Uh-Oh, I hope I'm not in for a rough ride like the several other complaints - I signed into the Angi app, I filled out the request for a type of work, it said $400 for the work, which might be a bit high, but okay, I hit NEXT>. Then it said to list more comments in detail about the work needed to be done - I paused maybe 20 minutes doing other stuff online, then I get a call: Scam Likely the Sprint phone tells me. Didn't pick up but the voice mail said Hey I see your request for help from HomeAdvisor! (Apparently they DO share info w/ each other now!) Uh-oh, how did he know I wanted the work done before I finished the details??? More later.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Very frustrated! I have paid Angi $900 (over 3 months) and have only gotten 4 leads!! I signed a 1-year contract knowing that I would have to pay 35% of any unused months if I canceled before the year was up. However, having only gotten 4 leads I feel Angi did not live up to the salesperson's expectations. I know nothing is guaranteed. However, I was told I would get a lot of leads being about the only company in my area for junk removal.

You cannot talk to anyone at the company except the account manager. And he has told me I have no recourse but to pay the 35% remaining on my contract. What kind of company (especially that big) has NO ONE to talk to outside of the account manager? My frustration has hit the ceiling and I don't feel I am getting anything for my money. I even reached out on Linkedin to several people. Only one replied and suggested I call my account manager! Absolute worst customer experience I have ever received. If I treated MY customers that way, I would be out of business.

Angie's List (Now Angi) Company Information