3.8/5 (253 ratings)

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

About SlimFast

SlimFast is a weight loss and diet plan that makes protein-enriched shakes and other weight loss products. Slimfast’s 3-2-1 program (three snacks, two shakes and one meal a day) helps you lose weight and curb hunger through meal replacements. Find out if SlimFast is right for you by visiting their profile today.

Pros

• Built-in calorie counting
  • Keto, diabetic and low-carb options
  • Available in grocery stores everywhere
  • Vegetarian products and recipes
  • No foods are off-limits

Cons

• Doesn’t teach portion control
  • No personalized support

Bottom Line

SlimFast is a weight loss program that uses meal replacement products like shakes and snacks to help customers reach their goal weight.

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

SlimFast Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SlimFast?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SlimFast?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

I am determined to once again lose weight. I accomplished losing 30 pounds years ago. I now need to do that again and started back on slim fast. However, there is hardly any product available. I get stuck with chocolate shakes and nothing else. No powder, no flavors, no bars. I have tried many stores. Where can I buy it. Or else give it up?

Original review: July 16, 2015

For the third time in as many weeks, one of the Peanut Butter Crunch Time Snack Bars in a box contained at least one bar that is approximately one half the width of the regular size bars. And they have gotten smaller each year. The taste is usually good, although I have gotten several that are hard and not like the usual peanut butter crunch time.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I am very disappointed in the quality of these bars. They remind me of the Butterfingers I used to eat as a kid. I am frustrated that I am only finding one bar out of about every eight that has not crystallized. My current box has an expiration date of FEB2516VB13. I am assuming these are good til Feb. 25th 2016. Not sure what the VB13 stands for. Am I the only one having this issue?

Original review: May 23, 2015

Bought 2 cans of the powder - 1 chocolate flavored and 1 vanilla flavored. The chocolate was very good. I finished the entire can, and opened the vanilla. Made my first vanilla shake, tasted it, and promptly dumped it down the drain. It has a very nasty aftertaste, bitter and gritty. I mixed it in a blender, so I know it was thoroughly blended. I can't for the life of me understand why there is such a difference between the two flavors. The chocolate was delicious and the shake replaced my lunch. Now I'm stuck with a can that I won't be able to use! Very disappointed with the company. I doubt I'll buy either flavor again. I don't want to have the same thing every day, and I'm not sure I trust the company enough to try a different flavor. Especially since I am on a fixed income, and buying something that I won't use is a huge waste of money - which I don't have a lot of!

Original review: May 19, 2015

I have been drinking protein/replacement shakes for years. Normally I buy Atkins, not because I'm into low carbs-because I'm not. But they have decent protein NO SUGAR, good fiber and they are tasty. But I thought I'd try SLIM FAST. I purchased Cappuccino Delight. Delightful it's NOT: Tastes like **. Gross. Reminds me of burnt coffee beans. 18 G Sugar/it is so sweet. It stays in your system for days.

I ONLY drank maybe 65% before I decided I just couldn't handle the taste or the smell. OMG it smells so bad!!! I had to actually throw it in the garbage outside because it stank up my kitchen so bad. The main issue is this: It stays in your urine. I know it sounds insane but every time I go to the bathroom I smell it. It's been 38 hrs and even though the scent is depleted it’s still there. What is that? Is it vitamins/minerals? I have NEVER in the 40 years have drank ANYTHING except maybe alcohol had a product come through the pores of my skin and in my urine. It’s the not even worth 1 STAR!!! I will NEVER GET the taste out of my mouth. DISGUSTING!

Original review: April 21, 2015

The cans I was used to buying have been replaced by 4 small plastic bottles. They are small. The flavor was what I remembered. I have had 2 bottles. The first gave me stomach pain followed by diarrhea. I had a bottle this morning and within an hour the diarrhea began again. Won't be purchasing again.

Original review: April 15, 2015

I buy slim-fast from Wal-Mart. It's just $7 for the protein powder. Soooo much cheaper than a lot of other shake regimens out there. Love the product look. Of course bottled shakes will cost more - duh! Make your own with milk and powder, so much cheaper. Best of all, I'm seeing results! Thank you, Slim-Fast!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

I have been purchasing Slim Fast products for years, mainly the shakes and snack bars and have been very satisfied. I usually buy a couple of boxes of the snack bars at one time and keep them at work. Well the first problem I had was that my local Wal-Mart where I usually purchase the snack bars is no longer carrying them. They have the shakes but not the bars. After finding them at a different local retailer I once again purchased two boxes. When I unwrapped the first snack bar it was noticeably smaller! It seems as though they cut back at least 25% or more on the size of these bars. After eating it I could tell that it did not satisfy my hunger the same as the previous size.

Once again I feel like another product has shrunk the size of their product however are still charging the same price if not more for it! I am VERY disappointed with these snack bars sizes for the price I paid, which was nearly $4.00. I will not be buying these in the future and will be shopping for a different company's product to replace my snacks. I have been a long time customer of slim fast however after this experience I feel other consumers should be warned of this cutback so they can avoid feeling like they were "ripped off" as I was!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

When I first tried slim fast, it was in powder form only (yes, many many years ago). It gave me very bad gas and diarrhea. Never tried it again. I cannot use any diet products with fibre in it. For those of you who can tolerate fibre, go to your drugstore and buy cheap fibre pills. Same result as all the overpriced diet products and you save money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

The packaging!!! Why not put a little perforation in that first outer plastic. It frustrates me to no end. Fingernails bending back. On to the next challenge. Now that your fingers are burning from the first task you must attack that foil seal. It is SO ridiculous. "What's in there? Plutonium!" I yell. I know there are larger problems in the world but for some reason battling these bottles everyday really, really bugs me!

Original review: July 4, 2014

I quit using Slim-Fast when it changed from can to plastic bottle because of higher price and because of new bottle. Having forgotten my objections, I just bought S-F again. Never again. It is impossible to get the inner seal off without using a sharp tool or pliers. For me, bare hands is simply not enough. What are they thinking? I need a quick-n-easy meal drink that I can open and consume wherever I am, whether tools are available or not.

Original review: June 27, 2013

The new container contains 10% less product and the same number of calories. It has more Cholesterol and costs more per container. This a huge effective price increase. The bottle has sharp edges that cut your lips as you drink it. We are not only dropping this product but the others including: I Can't Believe its Butter, Vaseline, Ragu, Hellmans, Q-Tips, Ben & Jerry's, Lipton, Wish-Bone and Nexxus. These folks are greedy and dishonest.

Original review: May 8, 2012

Are they out of their minds? Slim-Fast has taken downsizing to a whole new level. First, they go from 6 cans to 4 bottles, and then they reduce the amount in the bottles from 11 ounces to 10 ounces. What used to cost 7.5 cents an ounce, now cost 12.5 cents an ounce. That's a whopping 65% increase! Their greed just cost them a customer. And no longer will I be purchasing any of their other products: Lipton, Wish-Bone, Dove, Hellmann's, Vaseline and Axe.

Original review: April 5, 2012

Like many others, I am disgusted with Unilever's move to change containers and raise the price. It is the same story that others tell - I buy the six-pack of 11-oz cans from Wal-Mart at $5.48, but they changed to a four-pack of 10-oz bottles and the price is the same! I buy two packs per week. I have not made a move to other products yet. I have stayed with Slim-Fast, but I made one vow - I would never buy Slim-Fast again without a coupon. I get two each month from Slim-Fast online and order coupons in bulk on eBay. So far, I have not purchased one product without a coupon. The new container is much harder to open, easy to tip over, and is not easily recycled. The whole new packaging is a bad idea for Unilever!

Original review: April 2, 2012

I was the biggest fan drinking Slim Fast daily and have stopped. The new bottle is hard to open and you can not drink on the run out of the bottle because it cuts your lips. Bad move on Slim Fast packaging.

Original review: March 13, 2012

The new 10oz bottled Slim Fast is not only more expensive than the 11oz can, but they require 3 steps to open (instead of one, making it more difficult for some people). You cannot drink from them or risk cutting your lip. They contain more cholesterol and more sodium, taste more watery, yet magically retained the same amount of calories, protein and fiber as the larger can size. This is a giant step downward for the company. We will no longer be purchasing the liquid Slim Fast products.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2012

I am a regular user of Slim Fast. I purchased a carton of 4 with bar code number 0 08346 12203 3. One bottle in this carton was spoiled and not fit to drink. The bottle had not been previously opened. This information may help your quality control to identify a potential problem. Please confirm via email or telephone that you received this message.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

Drank a Slim-Fast Strawberry shake about 30 minutes after I got to feeling so bad, my head hurt. I was sick to my stomach and really have felt strange all day.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2012

I am a senior citizen with arthritis in both hands. This new container is a nightmare. I must use a knife to cut the plastic wrap on the top, and then I use small pliers to pull up the foil, peel-off top. This takes time, causes me pain, and the "unkindest cut of all" is that the product is more expensive. I used the pop-top cans for years. I will be forced to buy other brands that are in an easy-open can, which is recyclable. This new container is a bad mistake.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

New Unilever Slim-Fast Liquid in plastic bottles: if you dare to drink directly from the bottle, beware, the bottle may slice your top lip open. The plastic is extremely sharp, all bottles. Pour it in a glass.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2012

Slim-Fast packaging is in #7 plastic. Are not noted as bio-degradable. The size is smaller, therefore the price increase is more significant than the sticker might indicate.

Other - contains all types of plastics not listed under 1-6. Many of these plastics may be safe but Polycarbonates (Trade name LEXAN) which contains Bisphenol A is also listed under category 7 so be careful. Bisphenol A (aka BPA) are endocrine disrupters, which mimic hormones. They may cause havoc on human hormones through plastics leaching into hot beverages and may also be a potential carcinogen. Do not use these products with infants and small children and never use them to heat liquids or formula.

*NOTE: Not all category #7 plastics include the BPA toxin. Group #7 also includes compostable plastics made of organic material such as corn, which may actually be more environmentally friendly than most general plastics. Most of these biodegradable cups are typically labeled to inform you of their eco-product nature.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2012

I consider the new packaging a big drawback. The old container was 11 oz, the new one is 10 oz. It was one step to open the old container (pop the top). The new container has a plastic seal you'll need fingernails to rip off. Then there's the twist-off cap. Then there's the foil seal to remove. The old container is recyclable, the new one is not. Great product, poor packaging.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

I have been searching the stores for the $9.99 12 pack of cans, I am used to getting at Wal-Mart. I do not drink the shakes to lose weight, but rather to get the vitamins. I never have much of an appetite, and sometimes find myself not eating for a couple of days in a row. So I have gotten in the habit of grabbing a can on my way out the door in the morning and maybe having one in the evening, if I am not hungry enough to eat.

I ran out of the cans during my search for them, and ended up forgetting to make sure I ate. I only want to maintain being healthy, and keep getting the vitamins needed. I am completely disturbed to find out that the SF cans were pulled off the shelves, and replaced with bottle that contains less product, for more than a 50% increase in price.

I will not purchase the SF bottles at this outrageous price. Sf just lost a loyal customer of over 5 yrs. Instead I will switch to another brand that is sold at the price I am used to paying.

In the economically down time that we are in, why do companies think that giving a consumer less product for more money is an option? That is bad business practice, and certainly, a company looking out for their consumers' best interest. We already can not afford more than necessities. What makes companies think, that raising the price on a product that isn't a necessity, is going to fly? I cancelled Netflix when they tried it, and I am no longer a loyal customer of SF either, as a result.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2011

I also agree with previous recent posts regarding the change in packaging of Slim Fast. I've been trying to find the cans for weeks to no avail, and now I have learned why. Less product for more money equals bad business. Change it back, Slim Fast. Or I will likely not buy the product as I used to.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2011

Slim-Fast changed their packaging from six 11 oz cans to four 10 oz cans. That was a 61% decrease in product for the same price. It was ridiculous. I think that everyone who agrees should go to the Slimfast.com website and put your comments in the "Success Stories" section so that they can get a sense of how many former customers are disappointed and outraged at their audacity.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2011

I have to rate this a one star, even though you guys offer a 5 star product. I been using your products for over 7 years and I have to say I am very disappointed to the way you took the product off the shelves and called it a new design, take 1 oz off the container and 4 bottles of the original 12 pack. I'm sorry to say but if something doesn't change soon, I will be forced to use an alternative product, like a store brand product. I been loyal to you guys all of these 7 years and you owe us. Reduce the price or increase the number of bottles per case.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

It was worse than a rip-off. Congratulations, Unilever! Less per bottle, fewer bottles per pack, higher price for less+fewer. And you market them as "on-the-go." I used to grab a can of SF from the fridge on the way out the door in the morning, head down road, shake, and pop top with one hand and drink the 11 oz. Then I flip the steel can in the recycle bin at work and be done with it.

Now I have an "on-the-go" plastic bottle shaped to appear larger than it is but with a compressed and flattened middle. Is this designed to look better? To be easier to grip? Are people having trouble gripping a cylindrical can? And the pop-top was replaced with a plastic screw top. Sure, lots of people will not finish the 10 oz in one sitting but rather will have a need to screw the top back on after drinking 5 oz for breakfast and saving the other 5 for a late-night snack. After unscrewing the plastic cap, which takes two hands, I now have to assault a tin foil seal to finally get to my 10 oz of SF. This is so on-the-go.

Now, let's talk about plastic. The cap is useless, and it's made of the least biodegradable kind of plastic--the kind that rules the Pacific Ocean garbage patch. "Patch?" It's bigger than Texas! And Unilever wants it bigger. This is the type of plastic that kills albatrosses, sea turtles, etc., because it takes a million years to break down. When the albatross dies, its carcass decomposes around the plastic cap which is then liberated to keep killing for centuries to come.

So, let's review: Less product, fewer containers, higher price, harder to hold, harder to open, falls down and rolls around in the fridge, and citizens pay more at the end of the waste stream. Hey, Unilever execs, I hope discarded SF bottles clog up the engines of your yachts and leave you stranded at sea. Our taxes can then pay for the Coast Guard to come tow you home. And may the Occupy Wall Street gang poop on the doorstep of your corporate headquarters. I'll never buy SF or any of your products ever again. And I'm selling my stock in your obnoxious company. Drop dead.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

Slim-Fast has increased their prices by 33% in a disgusting manner. They originally came in 6 packs of 11 oz. cans for somewhere around $5.00-$5.50 per pack. They have now repackaged and have reduced the size from 11 oz. to 10 oz. Most importantly, they now come in 4 packs at around $5.75 for the 4-pack. Please send a message to Slim-Fast that we will not stand for their underhanded double-whammy increase. Boycott Slim-Fast and send a message to Unilever that you are doing so. Netflix didn't get away with it, nor should they.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2011

I too have been drinking SlimFast cappuccino for years. The new bottles are awful: less product, fewer units per package, and a significantly higher price than previously. I am paying a much higher price for less than I previously received. It's a scam, and the company is taking advantage of consumers. Old packaging: 6-11ounce cans for approximately $1 each. New packaging: 4-10 ounce bottles for approximately $1.75 each. Less product, more money. A rip-off.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2011

I've been using Slim-Fast cappuccino flavor for years. I've always paid $5.42 per 6-pack of cans (66 total ounces). Now they only have bottles, which are 10 ounces each and only 4 to a pack. So I'd be getting 40 ounces vs. 66 ounces. And to add insult to injury, the price is even more, $6.49 for the new 4-pack!

Bottom line, that's a 51% price increase. Didn't they learn from Netflix? Customers won't stand for this.

SlimFast Company Information