Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.28/5

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Medifast Reviews

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I purchased an Optavia kit in June 2019. Optavia is actually made by Medifast. The coach who made this purchase for me, did not tell me that I also signed up for monthly shipments. Much of what was sent I did not like and so I ate what I liked and somewhat liked and used real food (healthy options to substitute and get me through the first month. About 3 weeks after I had received my first order I noticed another charge of about $400 on my credit card. I was disgusted to find another shipment was made without my knowledge on top of all the product I had left which I did not like. I am retired and live on a limited income so $400 was a lot but it was a complete waste if I did not use it. I am writing this after reading that someone had product that was sent to them which was melted and Optavia did nothing about.

I do not know what their complete return policy is, but I do know after calling the company about the second order that was shipped without my knowledge that a new customer has a 30 day guarantee! I know this because unbelievably they told me to return everything back to them that I did not like. I boxed it up and shipped it back. I had opened the boxes of everything I returned and tried at least one. I paid for the shipping to return it but saw a credit for many times more than the shipping cost on my credit card. If you have any doubts about what I am telling you I suggest you call the company first! This was my experience! They also either stopped my second order from shipping or stopped it in route and I was refunded for that as well.

After that frustration it has been full speed ahead! I ordered my first order myself and ordered what I liked and a couple of new things. I do this now every month. I order for a month and get it shipped free. I am not sure what you actually have to order to get free shipping. Although I got off to a rough start, this company has been fabulous to work with. Knowing what you like is very important and somewhat critical to success for many of us. I wish Optavia would send a first kit with 2 of everything for a first order. Once we know what we really like we could then get a first order with multiple boxes that would last for a month. That is all I have for suggestions.

Fast Forward... 3.5 months. I did not let the initial start stop me, probably because this company made everything right by me. I am so grateful for that as I am not sure I would have continued if things had not played out like they did. I am 60 years old and was about 40 pounds overweight. I have medical problems from past injuries, autoimmune issues and a few others. My doctor thought this diet/life change would be a good start. My doctor insisted I make a few changes however so I include a slice of Florida avocado and all fruits and vegetable except for ones with the highest carbs. I also include a small handful of nuts each day usually in a salad that is more colorful than a GAY PRIDE PARADE (no offence meant). I seem to not really even care for meat like I once did and am happy with fruits and vegetables on most days. Except for my Optavia I have turned into a raw foodie..

I could have never imagined that this could have changed the way I eat and want to eat so drastically and in such short period of time. Even with the changes that my doctor insisted on, I am down by 20 pounds.. Wow.. Yay! I have not seen this on my scale in about 10 years! I am now not even sure that I should go down another 20 but I am still working it and will decide with my doctor after 15 more is gone. I have no doubts I will do this! I hope you see that I have included both my good and bad experiences here. If you need to lose weight and take it off for good with healthier eating habits, I suggest you give this a try. If you know someone that is using Optavia, you might even try to purchase one of everything that they have to get a better idea of what you will like and not like before you have boxes of them sent to you.

MY FAVORITES... Strawberry shakes, Dark Chocolate with cherry shake, Cheesy Buttermilk Mac & Cheese, Cinnamon Cream Cheese Swirl Cake, vegetable chili, Honey Mustard Sticks, Cinnamon Sugar Sticks, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, Decadent Brownies, Red Berry Crunchy O's, Cinnamon Crunchy O's, Peanut Butter Bars, Drizzled Mint Chocolate Bars, Lemon Bars. It is no wonder I was overweight. I appear I still like sweets but with Optavia, these are for the most part just over 100 calories each and they are sweetened with stevia. Optavia/Medifast did right by me and I hope it is the solution you are searching for!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Optavia is not just a diet but a lifestyle change. It helps us get to our goal weight while teaching us healthier habits one step at a time along the way, both nutritional and mental. So much of why we gain is why we eat, not what we eat. We change the habits that got us overweight in the first place so we shouldn't ever have to diet again. Optavia is has 4 components that bring about success - a Coach, an Educational Component, Community Support and Meal Replacement. The people I see complaining about the company don't seem to be using the coach component nor the education or community support. They should have been reaching out to their coach to help them, rather than rail against the corporation. I have found this company to be full of integrity and they stand behind their people and their products.

As another reviewer stated there was a huge IT change which resulted in many website, ordering and shipping glitches, and yes it took hours to get through on customer service, but the coaches were doing it for their clients. I am here to tell you the plan works, but as anything else in life you need to be ready and take responsibility for what you do. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and have successfully kept it off since the summer of 2018. I believe in the plan so much I became a coach and have helped plenty of people not only take off weight, but reduce or get off medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. My knees have stopped hurting, I can run down the block without panting and wheezing and I am rocking a bikini at 60. FULL DISCLOSURE - I became a coach for the company but only after being a client and succeeding on the plan.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Hi everyone, FULL DISCLOSURE: I am an Optavia client & coach. Optavia did an IT platform change in February to enable them to be able to handle company growth as they go global sometime this year. I read through a lot of these complaints and my 1st thought is, who are your coaches? Never call Optavia. Your coach is your personal front door to the company. Make them be on hold for 3 hours. (P.S. Your coach can ask their Global sponsor to call in on their line and the wait is much less!)

Here is what I've had happen in the past 8 weeks: 1. Orders taking up to 2 weeks to ship. Yikes! Definitely not the norm in my 4 years with the company. Typically it is 5-7 days. 2. Orders being incorrect. Too many items, too few items, etc. 3. Double charge on a credit card (this has now be resolved by their tech dept). 4. Another coach's client's order being placed under my account (yah, serious headache guys). 5. Clients being locked out of their account and unable to call in to change their orders due to long hold times and it processes anyway. Yep, I feel your frustration. 6. Client being over drafted in their account due to Optavia double charge or inability to log in and cancel an order in time. Yep, that sucks too. In all cases, I have sent an email---absolutely ZERO response from the company (besides the auto email saying, we have received...).

In all cases, I was able to contact my Global sponsor and every issue was handled that day and within 15 min or less. Here are some of the resolutions I was able to get: A. Wrong box of fuelings ordered? No problem, keep it and we will resend your order for free. B. Missing items. Not a problem, items resent and received within 2 days, PLUS 3 bonus boxes of fuelings for the inconvenience. Yep, so true... ask your coach. C. Over drafted due to double charge? Charge removed immediately. 3 boxes sent out of client choice for free. Client called bank and explained and overdraft fees were removed (this was with Chase bank).

Every single issue resolved with professionalism and care. You just need to be able to reach them. Please call your coach--it is their job, not your's. Don't waste your time or frustration. All of these reviews are true--I am sure of it! Here's the deal, Optavia helped me lose 165 lbs and is teaching me to keep it off with community support and mindset education--no one has this element. The program works. Customer Service is a complete cirrus temporarily, but they are working out the kinks so use your coach for a stress free experience! There's no fraud here! Let your coach handle your issues. Peace!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I started OPTAVIA at the highest weight I’ve ever been 310lbs. I’m a 58 year old female. I began my OPTAVIA journey by calling a Facebook friend in Nov/2018 who had pictures of before and after weight loss pictures of all ages of people on her profile. Turns out she was a coach for OPTAVIA. I started the program the last week of Nov/18 and I haven’t looked back. Is the food good? Well, the first week or two I would say it didn’t taste “good” because my taste buds were familiar with sugar, fat, butter & all that tastes rich! But after losing 15lbs after my first two weeks I changed my attitude. I began to enjoy the shakes the most! As well as the convenience of tearing open a protein bar, or shake package! I LOVE IT.

It is now 3 weeks into March so in 16 weeks I have lost 60lbs! THIS PROGRAM WORKS. Also the two times I called customer service for help - both ladies were kind and they helped me save money both times by considering things on my account and announcing, “I can give you a discount - doing it this way!” I call that amazing and friendly service. I have about 50 more lbs to lose and can happily say this was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for my health.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've been on this 5 & 1 plan for three weeks now and I've lost 16 pounds so far. My goal is 90 pounds. Most people who look at this and write a negative review I believe look at this as a diet. It's not a diet, it's a change of habits. And the key I found is you've got to read the book at least the first 5 to 6 chapters. You'll understand why we struggle with our weight gain and loss. How the food industry works against you to get you addicted and buying more food than you need. Once you understand the science behind the scenes it is a lot easier to go on the plan and stay on the plan. The food is fine, I've only found one item I didn't like. Mark Twain said it best. "The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like and do what you'd rather not."

If you have weight issues and are on a bunch of meds this program works! Maybe some of the food tastes "yucky" to you. But think about it. You got overweight by eating all the sweet and really tasty food. So you got to ask yourself do I want to continue the way my life is and take medications and eat the food I want. Or do I want to be rid of my medications and be the person that I want and for that I will forgo the things I like. Remember for most of us it's a lifestyle change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I get an email that my Optavia reorder will process in 7 days. I simply go into their site, log on and change the date for my next shipment if I don't want it at that time. I'm not sure why all of the reviews I've read complaining about getting orders they don't know about are happening. Maybe speak to your coach and tell them you aren't receiving those reminders?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

So I’ve only been using the Medifast/Optavia program for two months. So far...so good. I know how to eat and lose weight. This is just an easy way to do it after a long illness that was a cause of weight gain.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

They’re terrible. I ordered a kit online for approximately $400 and customized my kit with the foods I knew I’d actually eat. What actually arrived was a bunch of gross food I didn’t pick. I called to try to return the food & have to pay shipping for their mistake!! Customer service is terrible, food is terrible, website is old fashioned & terrible. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Helps you lose weight, but leads to lifelong problems. Medifast helped me lose 115 pounds. It also left me with a crippling eating-disorder from which I am struggling to pick up the pieces. When I started Medifast back in 2016, I weighed 285 pounds. I needed a lifestyle change. I chose Medifast, mainly because of the name. I had 4 small 110 calorie "meals" a day and a sensible dinner. My average calorie intake on a daily basis was probably less than a little over 1000. I saw the weight start to pour off, so I got more motivated to "stick with it". Eventually I started getting positive comments like, "You look great!" and "What's your secret?" I got down to 170 pounds, was in by best shape ever and started loosening the reigns from my restrictive eating behavior.

Around this time, the binges began and I became overwhelmingly obsessed with food. I was either eating as few calories as I could, or I was eating until I almost threw up. The frequency of my overeating increased and so I tried everything to curb my appetite, diet pills, protein shakes, coffee, books, even hypnotherapy. None of it worked. I was in constant agony because of how I felt and how I had put on 45 pounds of the weight I had lost. I know that Medifast did this to me. It is deplorable that this company and others market themselves as healthy dieting options when in reality there is no healthy dieting option. I'm just learning this now, but it is a pain I will continue to struggle with my entire life. Stay away from Medifast. Stay far, far away...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have used this product in the past with really good results. I have to say the food isn’t very good but it works if you can stand it. My second order comes as an auto ship. They did an email at 2 am Sunday night. I call Monday morning to cancel my order and they said no problem it’s canceled. Nope 3 days later I have a box at the front door. It’s Medifast and With all the wrong food. I have never ordered any of this stuff. So I call to get a return label and Find out... I have to pay to return their wrong order! No way am I ever ever going to use this company again. The guy in customer service said he try to explain to upper management and try and give out a paid return slip to me. Are you kidding me???? I paid postage to get it to me and now I have to pay postage to send it back!!! ITS NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay away far far away!

Not sure about Medifast?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right weight loss program for you.

Medifast expert review by JJ Virgin

Two programs feature home-delivered, 30-day, easy-prep, prepackaged food kits. No refrigeration or freezing. Prices start at $299. Supplements optional. Food journal, guides, blender bottle included.

• Rewards program: With the Medifast Advantage automatic delivery program, orders between $149 and $249.99 earn 5% off the next order and a $5 flat shipping rate. Orders over $250 earn 10% off the next order and immediate free shipping.

• Money-back guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with your order for any reason, return your product within 30 days of receipt for a full refund, less shipping and handling fees. Once received, refunds are processed within two business days.

• Best for dieters with food sensitivities: Vegetarian, kosher and gluten-free needs are addressed, in addition to those of Type 1 and 2 diabetics, seniors, nursing moms, teens, those on thyroid medication, Coumadin users, those with gout and patients who underwent bariatric surgery.

• Goal maintenance and transitioning: The Thrive by Medifast healthy living plan helps users transition from a weight-loss to long-term lifestyle plan.

• Support: A free health coach will mentor and guide you towards your goal. Brick-and-mortar weight control centers are open to members in five states.

• Lose weight fast or gradually: Medifast Go! delivers fast weight loss for $329 with a standard or gluten-free kit. Medifast Achieve is a more flexible plan costing $299 or $399 with supplements. Dieters eat six times a day on both plans.

by JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Medifast Company Information