Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.32/5

305 Medifast Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2019

Optavia is not just a diet but a lifestyle change. It helps us get to our goal weight while teaching us healthier habits one step at a time along the way, both nutritional and mental. So much of why we gain is why we eat, not what we eat. We change the habits that got us overweight in the first place so we shouldn't ever have to diet again. Optavia is has 4 components that bring about success - a Coach, an Educational Component, Community Support and Meal Replacement. The people I see complaining about the company don't seem to be using the coach component nor the education or community support. They should have been reaching out to their coach to help them, rather than rail against the corporation. I have found this company to be full of integrity and they stand behind their people and their products.

As another reviewer stated there was a huge IT change which resulted in many website, ordering and shipping glitches, and yes it took hours to get through on customer service, but the coaches were doing it for their clients. I am here to tell you the plan works, but as anything else in life you need to be ready and take responsibility for what you do. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and have successfully kept it off since the summer of 2018. I believe in the plan so much I became a coach and have helped plenty of people not only take off weight, but reduce or get off medication for diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. My knees have stopped hurting, I can run down the block without panting and wheezing and I am rocking a bikini at 60. FULL DISCLOSURE - I became a coach for the company but only after being a client and succeeding on the plan.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Hi everyone, FULL DISCLOSURE: I am an Optavia client & coach. Optavia did an IT platform change in February to enable them to be able to handle company growth as they go global sometime this year. I read through a lot of these complaints and my 1st thought is, who are your coaches? Never call Optavia. Your coach is your personal front door to the company. Make them be on hold for 3 hours. (P.S. Your coach can ask their Global sponsor to call in on their line and the wait is much less!)

Here is what I've had happen in the past 8 weeks: 1. Orders taking up to 2 weeks to ship. Yikes! Definitely not the norm in my 4 years with the company. Typically it is 5-7 days. 2. Orders being incorrect. Too many items, too few items, etc. 3. Double charge on a credit card (this has now be resolved by their tech dept). 4. Another coach's client's order being placed under my account (yah, serious headache guys). 5. Clients being locked out of their account and unable to call in to change their orders due to long hold times and it processes anyway. Yep, I feel your frustration. 6. Client being over drafted in their account due to Optavia double charge or inability to log in and cancel an order in time. Yep, that sucks too. In all cases, I have sent an email---absolutely ZERO response from the company (besides the auto email saying, we have received...).

In all cases, I was able to contact my Global sponsor and every issue was handled that day and within 15 min or less. Here are some of the resolutions I was able to get: A. Wrong box of fuelings ordered? No problem, keep it and we will resend your order for free. B. Missing items. Not a problem, items resent and received within 2 days, PLUS 3 bonus boxes of fuelings for the inconvenience. Yep, so true... ask your coach. C. Over drafted due to double charge? Charge removed immediately. 3 boxes sent out of client choice for free. Client called bank and explained and overdraft fees were removed (this was with Chase bank).

Every single issue resolved with professionalism and care. You just need to be able to reach them. Please call your coach--it is their job, not your's. Don't waste your time or frustration. All of these reviews are true--I am sure of it! Here's the deal, Optavia helped me lose 165 lbs and is teaching me to keep it off with community support and mindset education--no one has this element. The program works. Customer Service is a complete cirrus temporarily, but they are working out the kinks so use your coach for a stress free experience! There's no fraud here! Let your coach handle your issues. Peace!

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I started OPTAVIA at the highest weight I’ve ever been 310lbs. I’m a 58 year old female. I began my OPTAVIA journey by calling a Facebook friend in Nov/2018 who had pictures of before and after weight loss pictures of all ages of people on her profile. Turns out she was a coach for OPTAVIA. I started the program the last week of Nov/18 and I haven’t looked back. Is the food good? Well, the first week or two I would say it didn’t taste “good” because my taste buds were familiar with sugar, fat, butter & all that tastes rich! But after losing 15lbs after my first two weeks I changed my attitude. I began to enjoy the shakes the most! As well as the convenience of tearing open a protein bar, or shake package! I LOVE IT.

It is now 3 weeks into March so in 16 weeks I have lost 60lbs! THIS PROGRAM WORKS. Also the two times I called customer service for help - both ladies were kind and they helped me save money both times by considering things on my account and announcing, “I can give you a discount - doing it this way!” I call that amazing and friendly service. I have about 50 more lbs to lose and can happily say this was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for my health.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've been on this 5 & 1 plan for three weeks now and I've lost 16 pounds so far. My goal is 90 pounds. Most people who look at this and write a negative review I believe look at this as a diet. It's not a diet, it's a change of habits. And the key I found is you've got to read the book at least the first 5 to 6 chapters. You'll understand why we struggle with our weight gain and loss. How the food industry works against you to get you addicted and buying more food than you need. Once you understand the science behind the scenes it is a lot easier to go on the plan and stay on the plan. The food is fine, I've only found one item I didn't like. Mark Twain said it best. "The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like and do what you'd rather not."

If you have weight issues and are on a bunch of meds this program works! Maybe some of the food tastes "yucky" to you. But think about it. You got overweight by eating all the sweet and really tasty food. So you got to ask yourself do I want to continue the way my life is and take medications and eat the food I want. Or do I want to be rid of my medications and be the person that I want and for that I will forgo the things I like. Remember for most of us it's a lifestyle change.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

After reading many other reviews, both good and bad, I wanted to weigh in on the Optavia plan. I have been overweight/obese for most of my life. However a few years ago I crossed into morbidly obese. I also had diabetes and severe asthma plus a bunch of lesser things. I wore an insulin pump. I took lots of inhalers, pills, nebulizer etc. for my asthma. I was very sick and depressed. My grandson was complaining that I wasn't doing things with him because I felt sick all the time. I was terrified of surgery for so many ways but especially because I knew too many failures and too many that didn't lose as much as I needed to anyway.

Enter Optavia. After 18 months, I stopped take insulin and became diet controlled. My asthma is still a problem, but I am taking half or less of the meds I took. Other things also resolved or improved, AND I am down by 185 pounds!!!! In other words I go to normal stores and buy normal clothes. There are many things I could complain about. I have a lot of nutrition education. I have a degree in biology. I was an EMT. I disagreed with some of the rules and had research to back it up. I did not like the food. I could go on and on. But I was desperate and headed for an early grave.

Here are the pluses- did I mention I lost 185#? The Optavia program works. Period. I don't need to love my food. I need to eat to sustain my body. I can other things and I can eat to live. Most of the food is ready to eat or almost ready. Add 3 T water into provided disposable dish, microwave for 1 min, cool, and eat. Or tear open the wrapper on a bar. After a while some of the food will seem tasty. The food on Optavia is healthy. No artificial stuff. It is sweetened with stevia. Each fueling contains carbohydrates, a bit of fat, carbs, protein, and fiber. They also are fortified with many vitamins and a probiotic. So this is easy and keeps me out of the kitchen which is one way to eat less.

The coach and other materials are a big key to success. My coach kept me on track. Not through keeping track of my compliance but on meeting my goals and not giving up. She allowed me to work the program in my way, but encouraged me to make choices that would lead to success. I have been in transition for about 5 weeks, and I have not gained weight overall.

Yes it is expensive. So are insulin, inhalers, other drugs, sickness, special equipment, even with good insurance. Yes I could go on a keto diet on my own. I have been on many diets and had success. But with this I don't have to plan to make special diet meals. I don't have to do much or any work to eat. Some people are upset that the coaches get paid from the food you buy. As frugal as I am - and frugality can equal weight gain- losing the weight is saving me a lot of money so far. I don't want to ever do this program again! But I am glad I did. I would recommend it to anyone whose doc will OK the program.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I'm actually a fan of the products and like the convenience of the bars. They are easy to grab and go. My last order came with everything melted. I thought it would be an easy fix of a call and they would ship out a new order. I sent them pictures to prove that the order was melted and I was told to freeze them. That didn't work as half the bars just stuck to the wrapper, or were so hard I thought my teeth would break. I called back and was hung up on. I tried again and was told to suck it up. This is not a way to treat customers who are paying a premium price to stay on a diet.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I have used Medifast a few times over many years when I gain my weight back (like I always do). Please note that EVERY weight loss program works until you start eating like a ** again, if you expect some miracle when you go back to your bad habits your body does exactly what you think it will. Medifast works very well if you follow it exactly and weigh your food, not snack and pay attention. You will be eating 1000-1200 calories a day which will lose weight, if you don't you are cheating. The chemistry is there, you will be in mild ketosis. This kind of weight loss has been around for decades, it's not new. You WILL lose weight if you are a human being. Exercise is important too so use common sense. If it is supposed to be good for you don't just sit on the couch and expect a miracle.

It is really really expensive for packets of soy protein but if you are like me and need a program to follow you just wince and pay it. They recently raised rates again, it's $450 bucks now for 30 days. Sheesh I should buy the stock. The way I look at it is I spent a few years eating like an idiot and now it costs me. Like all weight management plans we are at the mercy of a business that preys upon a need we have that we can't do without help. No different than ** or anti wrinkle creams....

If you follow it exactly and make a pact with yourself to be different expect to lose 2 LBS a week. After you hit your weight loss goals and feel like a new person, remember as soon as you go back to your old ways you will look like your old self, maybe worse. Believe me I know! I don't need a "coach" just have friends and family support you. You can cancel if you go on website and look for it. You cannot just ignore or send it back. If you want to cancel go to your account and terms and conditions and read about it. I've been there a few times, it's not hard. Good luck and get skinny.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I went looking for a health coach. I found one and met with them. They introduced Optavia as an idea that I could try. I had already told them that I didn't want a ketogenic diet or a diet with severe calorie restriction (of which this is both). I researched it and because it included the coaching, I decided to try it. My assessments:

1) The food is disgusting. The coach kept saying "your taste buds adjust" but that is basically a Stockholm Syndrome for the mouth. This is the primary criticism and the major driver of the 1 star rating.
2) Extremely expensive - give the poor flavor, you'd expect better tasting food for this price.

3) Coaching: I feel duped by the coach. She actually wasn't a certified health coach (with health coaching certification). She's just an Optavia salesperson with one day of training from the company. She gets paid if I buy and stay on the diet.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

This program helped me lose the last stubborn 10-15 stubborn lbs I couldn’t lose no matter what. 2 months in, I was beyond my goal. The fuelings are mostly tasty and easy to prep. I prefer the bars, shakes, puddings, and cookies, over the soups, pastas, and biscuits. The program is mostly intuitive and easy to follow. The community and free coach is a nice touch and helps one to stay accountable.

My issue is with the MLM, pressure to “become a coach” once you’ve been on and see results. The coaches get a kickback for not only every client sign on, but for clients to also turn coach. You’re promised to make 5-6 figures a month, but what they don’t tell you is you have to live, breathe, eat, ** Optavia everything in the process! Your social media is urged to become business platforms and they train you to gently solicit all of your friends, family members, strangers, children, etc.

The top earners are in the 1-2% and those earning ZERO are 30% of all coaches. You can google this info online. Some of the coaches are fanatical and drain everyone with their daily 3x3x3 posts and other people’s Optavia success stories. It almost seems like a cult how sweet and caring everyone is until they get you on board. Then you’re scrambling and stressing all day/every day to “gain clients” somehow by being very evasive. They don’t want you to even say the word “Optavia” on any of your social media posts, even though it can easily be googled by reading the fine-print disclaimer on every before/after photo of clients.

My review is praising the program itself. It works if you follow it to a T. Weight is lost quickly but yet not so quickly where you are left with loose skin and stretch marks. It’s just that the coaching aspect and pressure is not worth it. Just do the program and do away with coaching aspect unless you work at a gym and have access to multiple interested people where you can sustain a decent side income through it.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I have been a Medifast (or whatever name they're going by now) client for 10 years. I am not a fan of auto-reorder as my choices change each time, so I have ONLY checked 'one time' order each time. Now, without any notice, I am receiving a box, same order as two months ago, every 4 weeks. I DID NOT want a box every 4 weeks because I am not using the food that fast. Attempts to reach customer service are futile. You cannot remove your credit card info., you cannot remove your address, returns are expensive and refunds take forever, and unsubscribing from auto-reorders are sketchy as it appears I will be sent another box. This is simply a money grab and fraud. Sad to say, this company needs to be investigated further. Changing your name to Optavia or Levia won't hide your crimes.

Medifast expert review by JJ Virgin

Two programs feature home-delivered, 30-day, easy-prep, pre-packaged food kits. No refrigeration or freezing. Prices start at $299. Supplements optional. Food journal, guides, blender bottle included.

• Rewards program: With the Medifast Advantage automatic delivery program orders between $149 and $249.99 earn 5 percent off the next order and an immediate $5 flat shipping rate. Orders over $250 earn 10 percent off the next order and immediate free shipping.

• Money-back guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with your order for any reason, return your product within 30 days of receipt for a full refund, less shipping and handling fees. Once received, refunds are processed within two business days.

• Best for dieters with food sensitivities: Vegetarian, kosher and gluten-free needs are addressed, in addition to those of Type 1 and 2 diabetics, seniors, nursing moms, teens, those on thyroid medication, Coumadin users, those with gout and patients who underwent bariatric surgery.

• Goal maintenance and transitioning: The Thrive by Medifast healthy living plan helps users transition from a weight-loss to long-term lifestyle plan.

• Support: A free health coach will mentor and guide you towards your goal. In five states, brick and mortar weight control centers are open to members.

• Lose weight fast or gradually: Medifast Go! delivers fast weight loss for $329 with a standard or gluten-free kit. Medifast Achieve is a more flexible plan costing $299 or $399 with supplements. Dieters eat six times a day on both plans.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Medifast Company Information