3.39/5
Based on 252 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a weight loss program?

Medifast

Recommended by more than 20,000 doctors since 1980, Medifast has been the key to weight loss success for thousands.

Our nutrient dense meal plans are formulated to help you lose weight by creating lifelong habits. Whether your goal is to lose 10 pounds or 110, our plans, fortified with 24 vitamins and minerals, are designed to keep you full as your body reaches a mild fat-burning state to lose pounds quickly without sacrificing muscle tissue.

Medifast plans are proven clinically safe and effective by researchers and studies published in journals such as the Nutritional Journal, Diabetes Educator and The Open Nutrition Journal.

View More View More

258 Medifast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Medifast Direct - This is such an excellent program! I lost 25 pounds the first month. But I made an accidental “extra” order that was almost 500 dollars. They started the return in the phone and I sent the package immediately, never opened the box, and have communicated with them in a very nice manner every other day for about 16 days. Every time I talked to them they assured me they were taking care of it. I have never gotten my money back.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I signed up because a "friend" was doing it. It is an easy plan to follow IF your system can tolerate it. What I disliked was my "coach"/"friend" 1) did not tell me she was being paid as my coach although she wasn't qualified to be one at that point and I didn't know I was helping finance her own ability to stay on the program; 2) she told me that despite my completing a health assessment which included Hashimoto's that this diet would be fine. When I experienced gastrointestinal issues, she told me verbally that it was likely a bug I'd picked up on a recent trip and to stay on the program. I finally went to my MD with the brochure in hand and she told me to GET OFF as the program option that I was on it is filled with artificial sweeteners which is horrible for gut health.

**It can work as a complete lifestyle transformation for some but know your body first and foremost. Also know that your coaches are paid based on the number of repeat clients they have and that you should ONLY use people as your coaches who have either a master's in nutrition or at least a certification from the non Optavia certified Coaching program but from one of the nationally recognized programs not affiliated with this program for best results.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I'm a 74 yr. old male and my wife is 70. My wife wants to lose about 50 lbs. and decided to start the OptaVia program. I was only over my desired weight by 10 lbs. However, to support her, I started the program with her. After 30 Days she has lost 15 lbs and I reached my goal weight. Because of our age we are not following the 5 and 1 plan. We eat 4 OptaVia replacement meals and 2 lean and green (4 and 2 program). Aside from getting used to only eating 800 to 1000 calories and getting used to the taste, this program is easy. Buy the meal replacements and follow the plan. Currently, my wife is caring for a friend. She packed enough MRs for 3 days (easy). We keep some MRs in each car for emergencies (like when your away longer then planned).

I have dieted before and lost weight by just counting calories. I believe the majority of people who eat 800 to 1000 calories a day will lose weight. You don't need OptaVia. However, you may not be eating a healthy combination of nutrients. OptaVia MRs seem to be providing a good mix of macro-nutrients and vitamins throughout the day. In closing, here is my recommendation: Get an OptaVia coach, buy the food, read the books that come with the program, follow the plan, all the plan. Don't stop after you reach your goal weight. Transition to the lifetime plan and you won't have to restrict your body to less calories then it needs ever again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

First off, it (Optavia) only works if you follow the plan. The food is good but people need to keep in mind that these items are full of vitamins and minerals that provide you all of the nutrients that your body needs. So the food does have a vitamin/mineral like taste to it like any protein powder does. I've lost 5.4 lbs in my first week. I no longer notice the mineral taste. I've been 100% compliant to the 5:1 plan since starting. I got headaches the first few days but that went away as my body got used to the plan. My energy level went up after the 3rd day. I look forward to each fueling and my lean and green. This is a lifestyle change. If you aren't willing to make a lifestyle change this program isn't for you.

You can sign up for auto shipments which gives you some discounts and reward programs. I haven't had any issues with my orders. I even placed a second order to give myself more of an assortment. You have to go in and alter your items. If you don't do that then they will auto ship the exact items that were shipped last time. All of that was told to me by my coach and is also on the website. My coach has been awesome and is very accessible to answer any of my questions.

There are over 60 fuelings you can choose from. There are hacks you can do to enhance some of them to make them better than they are... there are so many resources available to customers. Weekly webcast, Facebook pages, Pinterest and Instagram to name a few. You have to put in the time and work if you want the program to work for you. If you fail using this program it's because you didn't follow it, utilize the resources they provide you or read the information that is available. If your ready to be committed to meeting you goals then this can definitely work for you.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I signed up for this diet plan Medifast/Optavia. Received the first month "food". Had NO communication as to how I liked the food that they had chosen for me at a 'discounted' price of $350+. I went into my account a few days before the 30 days was up to make some selections as to what I wanted (some of the foods I could not tolerate) only to find they had sent out an order of their choosing. I had no communication from them whatsoever either inquiring how I liked the product or that they had sent out an order. I want to deal with a company who respects their clients and that is not so money driven. Will keep you informed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have really enjoyed Medifast for the last few years and have found their website and ordering process to be quite secure. Last week I received a routine email telling me that my Medifast order would soon be on the way. I called the Tel. Number given on the email to cancel the order and was given a run around of strange requests for my Credit card, etc. I did give too much personal info and card number to an operator who sounded like she was overseas. I felt uneasy afterwards and went on Medifast website to find that the telephone number on website different from the email - the numbers had been re-arranged. The Medifast website operator said she would make a note about the number on email being wrong.

I hope she did. I canceled my credit card and am in the process of having it replaced. Please be aware of the emails sent to you from Medifast - someone purposely rearranged the Medifast phone number. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Order only from the website. This is a very careless error that compromises the consumer’s personal info.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I'm a 54 year-old male that started out weighing 287 pounds. My wife decided to give Medifast/Optavia a try and got me to try it with her. We are at the 30-day mark and I've lost almost 22 pounds while my wife has lost almost 15 pounds. I am not big on pushing diet plans, but I must say that once you get past the first few days and once you're able to narrow down the Medifast/Optavia items that 1) you like, and 2) that satisfy your hunger, this is a very easy program. My wife and I are now kind of on autopilot because we know what we like and we purchased a lot of Medifast/Optavia products to select from.

I like that Medifast took back the items we determined we didn't like and replaced them with new ones we selected. I will say that it is NOT an inexpensive diet, as the products we purchase cost more than I would have expected. Still, for us the products and results are worth the expense. So if you're looking for something to get you kick-started and you can afford the cost, I highly recommend the Medifast/Optavia plan.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I started Optavia 5 & 1 plan in late August to try to lose 20 pounds. I managed to lose 15 lbs in a month which is great results. It was simple to follow and overall easy compared to other diets. The website is not very user-friendly and food is overpriced. The problem is that most of the food has cardboard taste but still edible. Lean and green meal was only meal I truly enjoyed. After a month I was bored with food selection and not a lot of options more than bars for people on the go without microwave or blender to use.

The biggest issue for me is that I found a live bug in my pancake package that was sealed inside. I contacted the company and was assured they had pest control and it couldn't possibly be true. Being called a liar by an organization whose products you purchased for a month because they don't want to take accountability for a possible glitch is not a great feeling. I can't support a company that has poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have been on the program for 3 weeks, and I have lost 40 lb. Other than the first 3 or 4 days, which is a period of transition, I have had no hunger. Some of the food doesn't taste good, but 75% of it is good. I have had no cravings except for two nights for a couple of hours, more mental than physical. I went in through Take Shape for Life what's Medifast to take advantage of the free life coach, so far so good. That held my hand the first five days when I needed them. And now I am just coasting down, many, many, many helpful videos. So yes I will absolutely be recommending that to three of my friends once I get down further and further verify this success that I've had so far. By the way, this is the first time that I have had success like this in my adult life and I am 56 years old and I have tried every product and program out there.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

One of my friends who is a doctor encouraged me to consider Medifast a long time ago. Since it had a great reputation, I decided to order from them. Since then, Medifast has helped me reach my weight loss goals. Initially, it was a challenge because I was changing lifestyle patterns. Still, I've lost 50 pounds at this point. I need to lose another 15 and I'm finding it a bit harder because I'm not exclusively eating Medifast Food. Overall, using Medifast was a good experience.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

A conversation with a friend of their experience made me try Medifast. The first week is a mental challenge because of being in a certain pattern of eating. I had to adjust the lifestyle where I stopped going to lunch with people. I would have a coffee or a piece off of lunchtime, so it's rearranging life, but after that first week, it was very easy. I did exactly what they said to do and in the course of about three and a half months, I lost 53 pounds. They helped me achieve that in an extraordinary way. I feel fantastic and sleep like a rock. Also, everyone I talked to at Medifast has been fantastic. I only had a few interactions with them, but they've been very helpful. I'm very thankful for the product and for them helping me in the process because it helped me sort out food, health and habits. It's been a blessing to my life and the experience has been outstanding and life-changing.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I saw a video on YouTube of someone reviewing their experience with Medifast. It seems like a way that I could cut back on calories but still get the nutrition that I needed because it had all the vitamins and minerals. My experience going through the diet started off well and I was surprised by how good a lot of the meals tasted. But then as the diet progressed, it got really monotonous eating the same things over and over. I didn't experience any more weight loss with this program than I would if I just changed my diet. I think the results are overstated in a lot of the publicity and that was the biggest drawback for me. I really like that it was convenient, but it wasn't quite what I expected. The only interaction I had with the team was when I called to stop my subscription, and they were very helpful.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I want to work through a program where I don't have to make decisions and just have to follow it and the food that's sent. I'm always on the road so I also like that it was just things I can throw in my bag or in my suitcase when I fly. It's really hard for me to work on losing weight when I'm always on the road and I might have to book a flight and go somewhere the next morning. I'm just kind of never prepared with meals.

And probably the toughest part is the social events during travel. People want to do lunch together and things like that and it's tough trying to figure out how to handle things in those cases. So I don't follow the program purely. I'm trying to work with people in network so I would go ahead and have lunch with them and I'll try to do something healthy. And the fact that I'm doing Medifast the rest of the time makes me motivated too when I am doing that meal on my own, to make it be a healthy choice, I'm not undoing the work that I've been doing and then kind of get back on it.

I called customer service once to cancel or pause my order because when I started ordering things I didn't actually start the diet till later so I actually had a stockpile of three boxes. They're very helpful and one thing I really appreciated is that there was no push back. Nobody gave me a hard time and tried to sell me something else. In my life weight will always be a struggle and I kind of accept that I'm going to have periods where I do well and periods where I need to get back on the wagon and I do like doing structured programs like this occasionally. And so having an experience like that makes me more open to doing it again. If I know that I can do it and I can shut it off whenever I want and nobody's going to give me a hard time. I was trying to get my dad to do it too and he's in a different state. We could both do it at the same time. It's not a difficult program to follow.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I was a Medifast user before and I was a returning customer. I had them due to medical reasons. It was recommended by my doctor. The first time I used them the diet was easy and fast. For a while I felt very good using it then I had a medical procedure and I have to stop. I was also traveling out of the city for a long time and when I came back my next order was due and my previous order wasn't even opened. But I plan to come back at some point. It has definitely been a positive experience. If it wasn't, I won't come back.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Medifast was suggested by our primary physician. It seemed like an easy way to lose weight. The difficult part for me with every diet is to figure out what I can eat. With Medifast, that decision was easy to make and that's why we chose it. I order online and everything arrives on time. The diet is reasonable. I love it. The meal bars can be used for snacking and it’s good tasting so I like it. When I first tried it nine years ago, it worked very well. I lost 50 pounds and my husband lost 90. So, it was very good. But lately, I was out of control. In order for this to work, it’s helpful if you can make it the most important thing for you to lose weight and it should take priority over everything. We lost a lot of weight after this and then we gained again two years after that. We tried several times and without so much success. If you try to do it just hoping that eating the meal will help, it's not working. It needs dedication very much.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I wanted to lose weight quickly and I wanted it to be easy. I didn’t want to weigh and measure things and try to figure out what to eat and what not to eat. I wanted it to be simple which it was. I stopped using Medifast for a while because of personal things and now I’m back on it again and I’ve lost 33 pounds already. I was hungry at first but I've been feeling better for a long time. I know when it’s time to eat because I start to get hungry and I eat every two hours because you eat five of their meals and then the lean green. I could do it all myself and I didn’t have to worry about going to meetings and weighing myself in front of other people. The plan was perfect for what I wanted.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Medifast was convenient and I finally lost some weight. When I started the program, I did a month’s worth of meals. I didn’t do great the first week or so but this changed over time. Then I experienced an increase in energy and I felt full throughout the day and more positive. The Medifast representatives have all been helpful but the website ordering was a pain. So, in some cases, I called in and placed my order over the phone, which was a lot easier and more convenient.

In ordering, I had two options — to do the automatic renewal program where they automatically send you another order every month, which was more convenient, or to place your order every month manually either on the website or by calling in. Medifast gives discounts to people who do the monthly automatic renewal, but not to those who choose not to have it. The program works well but the products are overpriced. There have been some months when I wanted to order from them but I didn’t have the budget to do so, and this threw me off my weight-loss goals. They could do more in offering customer loyalty discounts to people who have been using Medifast for years now.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I travel for a living so I don’t have the option to buy groceries and cook for myself. When I first started doing Medifast years ago, it helped me achieve my weight loss goals. It's good when you use it but you really have to do what it says - five meals a day and eat your one lean and two greens. However, I have children now so I'm eating behind them or eating what they want which is not always the healthiest.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I had a friend who used Medifast and I went with it because I wanted to lose weight. It was also easy. I lost a lot of weight (about 35 lbs) a couple of years ago and it was good. But I’ve put the weight back on so I want to get it back off. I’ve been off and on Medifast but I started this week hardcore on it. I had a headache the first couple of days because I don’t do the caffeine thing. But it’s fine. It’s kind of challenging with kids at home during the summer though.

The thing about Medifast is it is a low-calorie diet but you get your vitamins and nutrients. However, it is like little supplements and a little cardboard-y. I could do a Keto diet and get the same thing going on. I could also do arugula salad with goat cheese and be fine with it and still do the same calorie content. Also, the website is very difficult for people to use. Every time I’ve gone in to their website, I’ve had to call customer support for some reason, whether I was locked out of my account, it didn't accept my password, or the motion coach they sent me worked or didn't work. I don’t like having to call just to make an order.

The website is also not intuitive. It could be more informative so that customers can do their things on their own. I didn’t know that I could move my shipping day out. I didn’t want to order unless I could make it easy. The website is tough and it’s not very clear about joining Medifast Advantage. The website needs to be more friendly and automated. Medifast also needs to have better promotions. They’re expensive for what I get and I don’t know how long I’ll be a part of it. If I want to just drop 15 lbs and get on the weight loss thing, then it’s good to do Medifast. But as far as being on it long term and maintenance, I do not think it’s very good.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I saw how Medifast worked for my ex-husband so I decided to use it too. I lost ten pounds in under two months. That's not horrible, but it's not what I was hoping for. But, I feel satisfied with the meals. I follow directions on some of them, and it's inconsistent on how it cooks. I've learned to adjust directions on some of the things, like the amount of water.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Medifast sounded like a good product to help jumpstart a little bit of a diet and exercise program so I used it. I've known them through word of mouth. It's a bit expensive but not really if you think about it as meal replacement. It helped me start with diet and exercise for a period of time and I lost 8 pounds. The hardest part about it is the mental thing that you have to do to realize you're just eating bars. The first two days were hard, then after three days, it's bizarre. You're just not hungry. However, it's very hard to transition away from it. It's not a really good transition path and you obviously can't stay on it forever. It is very effective for a short term weight loss, but there's no long term strategy there.

I recommend it with caveats. It's helpful to know what are you using it for and is it going to meet your needs. I recommend it depending on what you're trying to do and what your goals are. It might be helpful for you or you might want to do something else if you're looking for like a longer term lifestyle or something that’s more sustainable.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I purchased Medifast several years ago and my weight came off quick. It helps me achieve weight loss goals. I had more energy as I wasn't so full all the time. It was satisfying and it helped me to curb my hunger. I liked the bars but I didn't like the mashed potatoes. It just had a weird taste and the consistency was kind of tasty. However, I have a lot of weight to lose, and I'd have to be on it for a long time. It worked but I just can't afford to keep doing it.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was trying to lose weight so I used Medifast. I order online which is convenient in choosing what I want and I find the shipping cost too high so I try to avoid it. I've tried different things but the food becomes too boring after a while and I don't feel like having it anymore. They use the bars and there are some meals that I thought tasted horrible. Also, there isn't enough variety and it's hard to keep eating that food. But it makes me feel full for a while and I lost some weight in the couple of weeks that I've tried it. Overall, my experience is good.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I love Medifast. When I was on it years ago, I had to get it from the doctor. I lost 60 pounds then I kept it off for 15 years. I gained some weight back so I figured I would go back on it. This time, I’ve been using it for seven weeks and I’ve lost 18 pounds. Another seven weeks more and I’m set to go on maintenance. I do the treadmill every day, so that helped make it come off faster. I used to do it the treadmill an hour but it’s low calorie so I just do half an hour now. I love the food. I don’t love everything, but I have my favorite. It's the easiest diet ever because I'm not hungry. I do the 5 then I have a lean and green. When I was on it before with the doctor, I was only having five shakes a day. I survived, so I figured skipping the lean and green once a week is not going to hurt me. I feel good. The first week, I felt very tired and I had no energy, but after that, I'm fine. It was my body adjusting to the low calorie. I feel great. It's an awesome experience.

Original review: July 17, 2017

One of my niece's friends had lost weight on Medifast and we’ve used it on and off through the years. My sons and my husband had done it, too, but my niece and I are ones who did the best on it. My sons stopped because they got very constipated on Medifast. We’ve kept it off and we didn’t get down to goal but at a certain point, it stopped working. I had a health coach, Helen, and unfortunately she gained back most of what she lost. But we've lost weight and we're happy. In fact, I lost 40 pounds. I did Medifast because I wanted to make sure my sugar level is down and Medifast helped me. I’ve got my sugar level within the normal limit. I never had to go on medicine so I was good with that.

It took a little while to get used to the diet but I got to the point where the bars were okay. They had a very Vitamin E taste. I was eating the peanut butter once and my niece ate the mint and the chocolate crunch. We would take the brownies and the pancakes and make muffins out of it. Other than that, we really didn’t like too much of the other stuff. Medifast has to make their stuff a little more palatable. I like the Atkins Bars and I have one of those for breakfast. Those are really good. They have more calories but less sugar than Medifast. My husband had also tried WonderSlim and the food is much better. The bars are much better than everything but they have more calories. Also, Medifast has the amount of calories for men the same as the amount for women. It’s a very low calorie diet for a man to have the same amount as a woman and it doesn’t make sense. I told my sons and my husband and they eat extra protein or have extra bars.

But I don't do Medifast now. I just make sure that I eat protein and vegetables and stay away from all carbs. Medifast got the taste out of my system so I don’t have any carbs or anything and I’m okay with that. That’s why we haven’t ordered it. I can eat a lot more food and I don’t gain weight. I even tried doing Medifast again which took about two weeks and I lost a pound. I followed it and did the treadmill everyday. At this point, I have to do take off the last 20-30 lbs on my own.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I've tried so many diets and didn't stick with them or they weren't for me, so I tried Medifast. They were delicious and made me feel full. I didn't feel like snacking all the time, but I have to follow it very strictly. I have to stick with it and not waiver. I lost 35 pounds the first time I took it, and it was awesome. I met my goal and I felt better in general because I was exercising more. Their reps were very helpful and friendly. If I had any questions about anything, somebody was always there to help me. I didn't have to wait 15 minutes on that 800 number and I was very pleased. A lot of people may not be able to do it because it's pricey, but my experience with them was great.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My wife's coworker lost a tremendous amount of weight. My wife couldn't help but notice and asked how they did it, and the answer was Medifast. I've finished using it, and my wife is continuing to use it in a maintenance kind of a format. When we first went on the program we each lost 70 pounds. It was truly transformative. It takes discipline but it works. Our experience was pretty good although, in the ensuing years, I've gained another 20 pounds back. But I can carry that.

The first weekend made our head spin a little because of switching from a glucose diet to a ketone. But once I was over the initial wham bam and I saw that I've lost five pounds in the first week, I felt I could do it. In the following months, we called food just in time. When we started to feel hungry, it was time for another Medifast. But we were surprised that we did not feel hungry and that was a key. At no time did I feel hungry.

The Medifast plan called for Medifast meals or snacks right up to dinner time. And it prescribes an amount of a protein, like seven ounces of chicken and two servings of vegetable on the plan. But we found that was too much so we split it. We'd have ourselves a piece on lunch. We'd have maybe three ounces of chicken and 1 service of vegetable and the Medifast meal at lunch. Then at dinner, we would have the other half of the chicken and another vegetable or two and it worked out. Food just in time.

Medifast took us off of our regular pasta and bread diet. We learned how to eat because it's nice. We still go up and down the grocery store aisles saying "That's poison, that's poison, that's poison" for all the processed foods. That helps maintain going down the road. Also, my blood pressure came down, and I was approaching diabetic and that reversed. The surge of energy was also a huge benefit. We go to the dog food store, I have a 35-pound bag of dog food, and then pick up another bag. That's 70 pounds. and that's how much I lost. I would recommend Medifast to anyone and encourage them to commit to do it for at least two or three months.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I went on Medifast for a couple of years and I lost 40 pounds in a month. I was happy with that but I've recently put it back on. I ordered some more and I had to take a prepackaged thing so I couldn’t choose the things that I like. That doesn’t help me with my diet if I don’t like the product. They’ve sent me a lot of snacks and bars. They pre-shipped me out a second order, and I didn’t realize they were going to do that. So, I've got another $400 order, and I haven't even started the first one. I have to send it back, and it's going to cost me to send it back. I haven't been happy with them. I think it does its job when you do it, but I'm having a hard time getting back on it.

They didn’t tell me that they have an auto-ship every month on the phone. Last time, my coach canceled it for me because he told me they'd do that if I didn’t cancel it. It's been two years and I forgot. They said, in the next order, I could order what I want, but I've ordered a couple of times before and they wouldn't let me. They said it was a first-time order. I like the chili better than anything. I didn’t get one of those. I like the oatmeal for breakfast, and I didn’t get one of those. It's not things that I like. The bars are good. I'm just not on that. I'd rather have soup because I'm an old lady. But I'm going to try to get on it. It works good.

The first time I used it, I didn’t eat all of the five things every day. That was hard for me to do five things. I'm older and I'm diabetic, and I've had some health problems. My coach told me to use two of the lean and green meals. He recommended that but I haven't talked to him since. I decided to do it on my own and see if I can lose weight and keep with it for a while. But I haven't been on it like I should. There were a lot of things I didn’t like. It would help me a lot if I could order what I want. I wasn’t happy with the ordering process at all. Most people want to try everything, but they didn’t have everything in there. There’s a lot more things that I've seen that they could have put in. But at least if they'd put one of everything, so you could try everything, that would be good.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I got on Medifast 6 years ago, and it’s a wonderful thing. My husband and I have been on and off it. I teach a lot of classes like aerobics and yoga and one of the girls that come to my class introduced me to it. If I had any questions, I went to her. Anytime I used Medifast, it helped me achieve my weight loss goals. But I'm getting older and something happened in my body this year. My doctor recommended I get off that stuff for a while. It has soy in it and I’ve developed an allergy to it. They think it could be related so I’m going to see if it goes away. There were also a couple of items that I bought which I didn't like. I sent it back and they returned it. But other than that, it's a good thing. I changed my automatic ship date to the end of August to see if it goes away if I get off it. But I should cancel it, and then if I can do it again, I'll rejoin. It’s a good product. If you follow that program, you'll lose weight. If you want to lose weight fast, it will.

Original review: July 9, 2017

A friend of mine started Medifast and I went with them too. The first three days is always the hardest, but once you're over the hump, you're fine. Medifast has been great. I lost weight, had improved energy, and I even sleep better at night.

Not sure about Medifast?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Weight Loss Programs for you.

Medifast expert review by JJ Virgin

Developed by a physician, Medifast offers full meal plans for adults, teens and those with special dietary needs including diabetes patients, nursing moms, people with gout, vegetarians, people who take Coumadin (warfarin) and people with gluten intolerance.

• No guesswork: You’ve got everything laid out for you. The meal plan takes the guesswork out of losing fat, ensuring that you stay within your daily calorie range without having to do any calculations of your own. This can be ideal for those who don't have the time or interest to maintain a complicated plan. Medifast offers over 70 meal replacements for consumers to choose from, including macaroni and cheese, brownie soft bake and Dutch chocolate shake.

• How does the Medifast plan work?: The Medifast plan consists of four Medifast Meals, two lean and green meals and one healthy snack per day, which can be eaten in any order throughout the day. The Medifast Meals are portion controlled items like a Caramel Crunch Bar, Cinnamon Pretzel Sticks, or Calorie Burn Cappuccino purchased through their website. The rest of the meal plan is purchased separately by the consumer: the lean and green meal is a salad made of a 5 to 7 ounce portion of protein such as fish, turkey or eggs combined with three servings of vegetables, while the snack is a healthy option purchased from the grocery store or through Medifast.

• Variety: Dieters can choose among 70 low-glycemic meals. Since many people fail at diets because they become bored with their food options, having choice and variety is crucial, especially if you easily become bored with meal plans. Medifast has a plan that fits any busy person who wants to attain fat loss.

• Weight loss and maintenance phases: While many diet plans help you lose weight, Medifast goes a step further with its Thrive Healthy Living Plan, which is designed to help you maintain your healthy lifestyle and keep the weight off permanently. On this plan, you can purchase "Thrive Healthy Fuelings" which are similar to Medifast Meals but higher in protein and fiber to help you maintain rather than lose weight. On the Thrive plan, you are also able to add one sensible meal to your daily dietary plan.

• 30-day money back guarantee: Consumers who are not satisfied with their Medifast food or blenders are eligible for a refund within 30 days of their first shipment. Any promotional and/or free items that were sent with your blender or perishable contents are yours to keep.

• Best for: teens with diet-related health concerns, college students, new moms and busy adults.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
    JJ Virgin

Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Medifast Company Information

www.medifast1.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business