3.39/5
Based on 252 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a weight loss program?

Medifast

Recommended by more than 20,000 doctors since 1980, Medifast has been the key to weight loss success for thousands.

Our nutrient dense meal plans are formulated to help you lose weight by creating lifelong habits. Whether your goal is to lose 10 pounds or 110, our plans, fortified with 24 vitamins and minerals, are designed to keep you full as your body reaches a mild fat-burning state to lose pounds quickly without sacrificing muscle tissue.

Medifast plans are proven clinically safe and effective by researchers and studies published in journals such as the Nutritional Journal, Diabetes Educator and The Open Nutrition Journal.

View More View More

258 Medifast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2017

My stepdaughter was on Medifast and lost a lot of weight. What I like about it is it's an easier option. I like the prepackaged meals. I can have my meals planned out, grab it, and go. And then at night, I can eat protein if I want to or I'll have half of the egg - half protein in the morning and half at night. I'm still working on my weight loss goals and figuring out what food I like and which is easier for me. Oatmeal is really easy and some things I can grab and go. There are some things that I don't care for but I'll have to eat eventually though. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied. I just need to know if I can replace the shaker cup or do I have to buy a whole new stuff.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I was impressed by some of Medifast's advertising, and I thought I'd give it a try. I've lost 90 pounds but then gained 60 back. Then, I've lost 30 pounds again. I was surprised at how I wasn’t hungry, and so it was easy to stick with. I still could stand to lose about 60 pounds but if I lost another 45, I’d be happy. However, right now, I need to stop for a while just because I can’t afford it. It’s hard to eat that food constantly forever and ever. I've run into some other expenses and I just can’t afford the $300 a month. But then, it's been a good experience and I’d probably come back again some time. I'd recommend Medifast to other people.

This time around however, the prices have gone up about $2 a box. I thought it’s been a while since I did that. So, I was disappointed with the pricing of their food. But I guess I wasn’t too surprised. As far as the food goes, I’ve narrowed down what I liked and what I don’t really like that much or, what’s a hassle for me to make. I like to have bars, chips and stuff like that because I’m always on the run. The oatmeal was good. I like the pancakes and shakes too but I don’t really make them that often, although I have the stuff. Right now, I got a little backlog of boxes and other things. Also, I don’t go to any Medifast center. I just do the online ordering. I've been through weight loss programs, the counseling, and all that before, so it's not anything new to me. I’m my own motivation.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Medifast is a good company and they have a proven track record that can help people up. Years back I heard about them and I started trying them out when it was much more expensive to try than it is today. I went from 305 down to 240 and I'm still working on it. The portions were right and I felt good. I feel hungry and then it goes away as I get used to that diet. My bathroom routine changes and it goes when I go off the diet. I've been off and on for that last two years but I keep going back and get started again. I need to lose the rest of my 40 pounds against my goal weight.

When I first started Medifast, I have the girl that took care of me every Saturday that I went in. But the staff had changed and I would get whoever was available to take the next person so that's a big issue. Medifast should look at that again and think about how I can start out with one person who knows me versus somebody that doesn't know me and has to read my chart. And then originally, I thought the people were much more attuned to what's going on and the program itself. Earlier, there are people that cared about me and they make sure that they help me out on what I'm doing. But it was more of a job later than it was earlier on. Other than that, it's a good plan which works well and in general, the people are trying to help me stick to the plan.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My sister and her husband were on Medifast. They had really good success with it, so I tried it based on their success although I've had mixed feelings about this diet. I've lost 20 pounds in about two and a half months, but it's very hard to follow the way you're supposed to do it and I feel hungry a lot. The product is quite expensive too. Several people including my niece were on it too and they've done a lot better dealing with the diet. Maybe I haven't followed it as closely as I should and I go off of it a little bit at night which could be why I haven't lost more weight. I don't know if it's the right diet, but I've stuck with it. I was going to call and talk to a dietitian at Medifast but haven't done that. I've dealt with people at Medifast only when ordering the product and they've all been fine and professional.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I tried Medifast 10 years ago and lost 30 pounds. I wanted to try it again but it's not working for me. I'm still trying to use it a little bit because they won't let me return it. I want to send it back and they said that they sent me a label return, but I never got it. I called them numerous times and the head person called and said that they researched and it was sent to my email. I went back to my email and it wasn't there. So, it's not a good experience. Nonetheless, even if Medifast didn't work for me; it might work for others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: May 20, 2017

My dad had done Medifast before. I did it also back in 2012 and it worked for me so I did it again. The first couple of weeks were definitely an adjustment period but once I got by that, it’s really easy. They're satisfying meals and I couldn’t be happier with it. Medifast is perfect because I’m always on the go and it's easier with the bars and the shakes. I take a case of bars with me and it's awesome. I've lost 50 pounds on Medifast and I was really happy about it. Every day, I feel better getting up in the morning and I feel more confident. Also, the shipments always came on time. The experience was great and helpful overall.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I was on the Medifast program seven years ago. I just went back on it again for a couple of months. I really haven't lost weight this last time because I haven't been as conscious following the diet as I was the first time around. It does work if the program is followed because that's the way that it's set up. If one cheats and eats things that they're not supposed to or eat more than they're supposed to, obviously they won't lose the weight that they should lose. Nevertheless, it's a good program. I've actually recommended it to a couple of people when I did it the first time.

Original review: April 12, 2017

This product is very effective and was just what I needed for my condition and to live a better life free of strife and problems. The food quality is absolutely delicious. You can't even tell it's from a meal plan and it blows all over meal plans out of the water. I would eat this all the time. Also, customer support has been exceptional. I have been treated with the utmost care and I'm a completely happy customer. The value of this product is incomparable to any other options out there on the market. I'm happy with my purchase and definitely have gotten my money's worth.

Original review: April 7, 2017

There was a great variety of the food which is great because most weight loss plans don't have that. It gives us trying to lose weight great incentive to stick to the meal plans. They definitely keep up with their customers and make sure we are happy and satisfied with our plans. Also, they make sure we are on track and keep us that way. I used this product after gaining 70 pounds of baby weight and it did not take long for the weight to start coming off. Medifast is definitely worth the money it costs. It works and great at that and it's easy and completely great for any type of weight loss.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Medifast work great. I have already lost 5 pounds in my first week. On top of that, the food tastes great. The food quality is good. You get just the right amount of food. But not too much where you feel bad afterward. I feel very satisfied after I eat it. Customer service is very useful when you have a question. They are respectful if you are respectful to them. The value is okay but sometimes I do think it is a little expensive. But at least I know it works. I have never felt better about myself until now. Definitely going to keep buying it.

Original review: April 5, 2017

The effectiveness is super cool and it affects my smell so you guys should try it. It also affects your learning because you're learning twice. I really love food because you get to make anything so that food gives you the energy to move and stay active. Also, customer support helps you with stuff because it teaches you how to work it or move. Value is important because it matters about the deals and how much money it costs because everyone wants the lowest price every time.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I wanted something that is dummy proof because I'm very busy and I have a very stressful life. I needed something that would be easy. Then I heard about Medifast through my physician. The foods are very good for what I can have. I have very limited options because of food allergies, but they're great. The soups are good and the hearty meals are fantastic. The ready to drink drinks are perfect. The experience I've had so far has been very pleasant. Honestly, for a person who doesn't have food allergies, I don't think one could get a better diet. It's actually made with real food instead of being new to system or something with additives and different things in it. I have lost 15 pounds in the three months that I've been on it. I haven't achieved all my goals yet but it's a great progress.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was trying to find an easy way to lose weight because I don't have time to go to the gym. I thought changing my eating habits would be a lot better, so I went for Medifast. It helped me out a lot. I was very hungry during the process and felt bad for the reason that everybody around me was eating junk food and they were especially teasing me after knowing that I was going through the program but it turned out good. Everything came organized and they provided a book. It was a good choice. I lost a total of 10 pounds and to be honest I wasn't even doing the course correctly as I have cheated. I really like the way that it worked. It's a good way to start going for that path of being healthy and in shape.

Original review: April 2, 2017

The first time that I ordered from Medifast about four months ago, they shipped to me a small amount of things, but they didn't ship to me everything that I ordered. They just sent to me some cleansing products and shakes, and they charged me $100 for these. So, at that point, I went with a different product. However, the next month, without asking me, they shipped to me the entire thing and they charged my credit card, even if I never do auto-ship. Although I didn't order these products for the second time, I got a big box of products that I didn't want and that cost me $500. So, I was not very happy. It was a horrible experience.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I was a G1 athlete with a lot of muscle mass and a six-pack. I gained 20 pounds when I got put on a medication for Lyme. I was trying to get back down to 135 cause I got up to 160. No matter what I did, I couldn’t and they said it was the medication holding on to the weight. I was bicycling 25 miles a day and running five miles and it didn’t make a bit of difference. In fact, I was gaining weight cause I’d get more muscle and looked bulkier. My doctor recommended Medifast and I did the On-the-Go first and lost 10 pounds in seven days.

But then I was doing athletic things and broke my ankle. And so, it’s been four weeks and my doctor just cleared me to go back on Medifast. And this time around, I did the Flex. I've been on it four days and I've already lost six pounds. I know it says not to skip meals, but I have been skipping meals at the beginning because I just can’t eat that much. I feel full because I drink so much liquid all day. They said for 30 days, I couldn’t have alcohol. And so, instead of having one or two, I literally just have one beer and I’m still losing just as much weight as the first time. It's been great and I've already had two of my sisters join because of my experiences.

Original review: March 30, 2017

A company that works - that stands for Medifast. I would recommend to all customers. Effectiveness immediately. Works for all customers that there is a need. It's Food that warms you up. It's high in nutrition, too. All around great food to eat whether in the hurry, on the run. I would feel better with Medifast. Also, they have great customer service that makes sure your needs are handled. It is worth every penny. Medifast is number one in my books.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I’ve had a friend and a coworker that used Medifast and I saw the great results that they got. It’s really awesome. I just got back from vacation. I have a route that I run when I’m on vacation and I was able to run it much easier and complete it with no problem. I haven’t been able to do that before because there are several large hills so I feel great. Also, the diet was very easy because I’m just mixing the food with water. It satisfies me and keep me from being hungry. I'm also within a couple of pounds of my weight loss goal.

The few experiences that I’ve had with the Medifast team have been really good. They’ve been very supportive and helpful in changing my orders around, and accommodating me, extending my order out a little bit. It’s been very good, and I encourage others who have tried other programs that haven’t worked for them to use this one.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I've used Medifast several years ago so I knew it worked. Also, the price was good at the time versus any other program that you might follow like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. I was enthusiastic at first and I saw immediate progress the first couple of days when everything was going well. But when I called to ask a couple of questions, I found out about the pricing and I got really disappointed and upset. I decided to stop. I'm using things as I feel like it and not following the program because I didn't plan to continue. Nothing's gonna change either because what I would be allotting for it is going to the car payment now. But I like the bars the best and the only thing I found is the timing with certain things when you put them in the microwave. I had some blow overs a couple of times until I figured out the timing. Also, everything was fine when I called them. It's a money thing but the product's fine.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I had a bunion surgery and I knew I would have limited activity following that to avoid pain. So I needed a balanced nutritional program to limit my caloric intake upon recovery. With Medifast, I survived eight-week recovery without gaining weight. Overall, it was structured and I had a positive experience with them.

Original review: March 23, 2017

An ex-wife told me about Medifast and out of five times, I achieved my weight-loss goals twice. If I’m on it for two months, I feel a lot more energy and I’m not quite as hungry. But for a month I’m starved all the time. I have Crohn's disease, so I can't eat endless amounts of salads and vegetables. That’s not a good solution for me. So, sometimes it’s difficult. But the meals are good and my blood work comes out good. I like the taste of everything and I reorder the stuff that I like the best. The soup and stew taste better than when they started.

Part of the program is to drink more water so I pee a lot and since I work 12 hours a day, that gets a little bit annoying. If you’re eating shakes, you’re drinking water with that. It sort of dehydrates you. It flushes the water out of you to a certain extent. I don’t have a lot of water weight because if you’re eating less salt, you don’t retain it as much, so it goes through you better. I contact the team at Medifast through email and website now. But I had a coach at one time and she was fine and was available when I needed her. And I have recommended Medifast.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I had a friend who, two or three years ago, did Medifast and she had a good success so, I thought I would check it out. The price was decent for what you're getting. My problem is the food is monotonous and most of it tastes terrible. The sad thing was that I feel healthy when I eat it but I feel unhealthy because it's mashed potatoes, chips and baked stuff. Then, in August, my husband and I did the Whole30 program and it's all about whole and real foods, vegetables and fruits. Medifast is a great quick fix for people who need to lose a lot of weight in a quick period of time but it doesn't feel as healthy as some of the other fresh food healthy programs. It's getting bad. I've already canceled the service and the lady I talked to was super nice and helpful. I definitely think it's a successful program but I don't know if it's the top one I would recommend.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Friends told me about Medifast and I’ve been using it for only about a month. I’ve noticed a little bit of change but I feel fine. The experience could be better if instead of getting the same thing every month, I can choose a little bit more. There are some things that I don’t like and getting them every month is a waste.

Original review: March 15, 2017

My sister had used Medifast and I did about three months of it about five years ago. It worked really well for me. I started again in January and had taken off 25 pounds. But I've been at a stalemate for the month of March and I just started again to get right back in gear. We live up in northern New York so it's winter and this time of the year gets really hard to push through with anything. I felt very sluggish. But I definitely can tell the difference when I'm on Medifast. I feel awesome. I had a gall bladder removed last fall and even with my just digestive issues, Medifast really helps. I am loving it very much.

The little booklet that came with the initial box this time dealt with my urges and pushing through. 4pm to 5pm when I’m getting supper for my family is the hardest to push through, and I usually just drink coffee while I'm getting a meal. Once I push through, I realize I'm glad I didn't eat because I'm really not that hungry. So it's just a matter getting through that time you really feel like you can't make it, and learning how to deal with that when it comes. Medifast is great and is doable. I do experience results and I feel a ton better. My lean and green is healthy. It's for my personality and it's regulated. I am just curious on how to sign up to have someone who I can be accountable to with the Take Shape for Life program.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I needed to lose a little bit of weight and Medifast helped me to achieve my weight loss goals. It’s tough to start with it, but once you get into a rhythm of using it, it’s not too bad. The food is not something you’d want to eat every day or all the time, but it’s great for weight loss. I'm still using Medifast and it’s doing what I wanted it to do. It’s working just fine.

Original review: March 11, 2017

A friend told me about Medifast and it was easy so I went with them. I've used it before and I was very successful. It helped me lose weight but unfortunately, I went off and then gained weight again and now, I'm back on it again. I feel fine and I have more energy. All in all, I like Medifast. It's slow and steady and it's a really good program for me.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I haven't been as faithful as I should in achieving my weight loss goals. In 2012, I got really serious and I did exactly as I was supposed to with Medifast and I stayed right on track. And because of that, I lost about 25 pounds. But over the years, I've gained it back again. I've been real diligent now. This is day three, and I'm already down three pounds. I know that if I stay focused and do it, then I'm gonna get the results I want. It's just that when circumstances creep in, the self-discipline flies out.

I like the foods. There was one time where the popcorn literally tasted like cardboard and was really bad. Then the company was really quick to ask what I wanted instead and they replaced that free of charge. I really like the bars, the shakes, and I absolutely love the mashed potatoes. They are so good. So, there are a few things that are my favorites and I just stick to.

I don't like to cook so Medifast is a good alternative for me because I just grab what I like or I'll stick it in the microwave for 60 or 90 seconds then I'm good to go. I feel full. As long as I stay with every three hours, it's good for me. So, I'll do breakfast at 9:00, lunch at 12:00, do a 3:00 snack and then dinner at 6:00, and then something again at 9:00. That does really well for me and I don't feel hungry at all. I really love the brownies and the chocolate chip soft baked cookies. That helps to curb my sweet tooth because I've got a really bad one. It makes me feel like I can still have the things that I want but I don't have to feel guilty about it.

We tried doing where they send the food automatically. But with my husband's work, that didn't work well with us. So, I just order it whenever I need it or when we have the money. The kicker right there is that it's about the same amount that I would spend on groceries but it's a lot to put up front. So, I wish it was a little bit cheaper.

The plan helps eases into portion control and putting better nutrients in the body instead of eating to eat. With the Medifast, it keeps me satiated enough that I'm not gonna go running for a cheeseburger or to RB's or Dairy Queen. I recommended Medifast to my girlfriend in California who was extremely overweight. She went to the counseling and did absolutely fantastic. Then she went on maintenance and she stayed with it. She's probably my biggest success story.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I like Medifast very much. If I want to order, I talk to someone and they are always good. Medifast is a very good weight loss program and more people should be on it. I like that they have a very big choice of what you would like to purchase and the fact that it's very easy to fix if you are out and you have to have lunch. You just have a bar and have water and you're done. It's very simple but you have to stick to the plan if you want to lose weight. Medifast wants you to have five meals and then have lean and green for dinner. The bad part is it's expensive. But once you lose the weight, you have to stay on a low-calorie diet. You can be on this forever so it's good. I would recommend them. The experience is good if losing weight is the final goal.

Original review: March 7, 2017

My experience with Medifast has been okay. I was on it for about seven months the first time and lost about 40 lbs. I chose to go back because it works for me. I just got through my first month and I’m a little off the wagon but I have lost about 10 lbs. I do eat five times a day and sometimes I don't feel hungry but there’s some things I don’t like. I'm gonna give them a call to try to switch out a couple of the products that I don’t like, provided they don’t charge me. However, I’ve been feeling very hungry recently but I’m exercising, too, so I don’t know if that’s it or whatnot. Nevertheless, Medifast does work very well if you do it and exercise. Next time, I’m going to go further. I quit too soon the last time. And I need to go through a transition which I didn’t do before.

Original review: March 5, 2017

I did Medifast like five years back and I lost a lot of weight. My brother was a representative and he sold it. And now, I just called up the number again online. I wanted an opportunity to lose weight again, and since it had breakfast and lunch, it's easier for me. Everything's pre-planned and I just eat what they give me. At first, it was hard because my stomach had to get used to the little bits every two to three hours. Now, it's like I can go the whole day without big meals and I think that's what's helping me to lose.

It's really easy to order every time I call. The team I've had there was wonderful and the food comes the next day. I get enough for the month, for $329, and it's less than what I would spend in a week on food and it's for myself so it's not bad. I lost 15 pounds in a month, however, I'm experiencing a lot of pain, like gas loading. So, I've been adding a shake with fruits to maybe wean off of it. I'm gonna see my doctor so he will tell me. It could be gall bladder or something like that. But it takes off the weight and it helps you to learn to eat again. I would definitely recommend it.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I have friends that tried Medifast and I wanted to try it myself. I followed the diet to the letter and it was not good. The food was inedible and it was too hard to swallow. I was able to choke it down, but I'd rather lose weight slowly than have to be miserable with what I'm putting in my body. Although I liked the bars and they tasted like a regular Granola bar. They also didn't pressure me when I went to cancel, which was nice. Overall I'm a bit irritated that I wasted money.

Medifast Company Information

www.medifast1.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business