3.31/5
Based on 268 reviews that contain star ratings

Find the right weight loss program for you

Medifast

Recommended by more than 20,000 doctors since 1980, Medifast has been the key to weight loss success for thousands.

Our nutrient dense meal plans are formulated to help you lose weight by creating lifelong habits. Whether your goal is to lose 10 pounds or 110, our plans, fortified with 24 vitamins and minerals, are designed to keep you full as your body reaches a mild fat-burning state to lose pounds quickly without sacrificing muscle tissue.

Medifast plans are proven clinically safe and effective by researchers and studies published in journals such as the Nutritional Journal, Diabetes Educator and The Open Nutrition Journal.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

274 Medifast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2017

I wanted to shed a few pounds and I wanted it to be easy and simple because I didn't want to go to meetings and things of that nature. A member in a networking group I met with told me about Medifast and I tried their program. I am still using it but I'm close to my goal weight so I stopped reordering. It was pretty simple and really easy to work with. The only thing that was lacking and maybe for a good reason is the meals. There were limited meals and I felt like I got repetitive ones. But the snacks were really good.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I was on Medifast with my sister-in-law and I lost weight and enjoyed it, but I want to live my life normally. I have used Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and all other food supplements and it got tiring. I’m on Weight Watchers right now because I can eat real food, and it also has the same type of bars as Medifast. Also, I quit Medifast because it’s way too expensive. I’m not going to live my life eating expensive supplements or food. Now, I only order three things from Medifast like the bars and the oatmeal because I like some of them even though I’m not really on it. I eat them when I’m taking a trip or I need it when I’m in a long meeting.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: June 13, 2017

I initially chose Medifast because I liked their plan. However, I was allergic to the soy in their product and broke out in hives. I had to return their products since I couldn't use them. I have received refunds and I wouldn't be using them again.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I've been on a number of weight loss programs before. With Medifast, I lost a lot and then I ended up gaining the weight back. And so, I've ordered some and had started again, but losing weight has not been easy the second time around. Medifast is more expensive but easier than some, and it's similar to others.

Original review: June 11, 2017

My wife really likes Medifast. She has had to go down a size and she’s still working on weight loss goals. It's easy to use and she likes the options and the fact that whatever she doesn’t like, she can customize it and send whatever back and get a new item.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: June 10, 2017

I had used Medifast after my second child was born who is now 13. I have three children and I have lost all of my weight down to every bit of it, 12 pounds with my second child. Medifast worked well enough that while I was nursing, it dropped the weight and it kept me at a steady state where I wasn’t hungry and I had good success with it. But just as life gets busier and as my kids and everything is busier, it takes a lot of planning and it takes a lot of organization and being very methodical about grocery shopping and about meals, which is difficult for me, I’m finding myself needing to lose weight and would love to keep it off but that’s not where I am right now.

I started again with Medifast at the end of January and then I lost weight in February and March. About three days into eating the regimen as it was recommended, I was so hungry, got a headache and I was looking for more food. I found myself trying to drink more water and I would even add flavored water. I felt that it was really a lower calorie amount than even what my body was ready to get. The soups are not as great as I would have anticipated for them to be. And halfway through March, after I have lost that weight through stress and my mother being ill, I have put the weight back on. But it’s not the Medifast, it’s me.

I ended up doing Medifast along with a weight loss plan through the “Why”. It was a 12-week plan and we had that accountability every Monday and they wanted people to definitely be there. If they had to be out for one or two Mondays of that whole 12 weeks, it is understandable if being out had been approved ahead of time or that someone was sick or they had other things going on that they just couldn’t do the plan. So it was very helpful to do that at the same because that became my support system but it just got crazy for me. But it did help to have that support system and whenever that goes away, it just changes things.

If people feel that they can regulate a routine, not be an emotional eater or find themselves thrown off by everyone else in their household or world’s schedule, Medifast can be a great program to lose weight. But if they are distracted by being on the go and having so many irons in the fire of scheduling, work and kids, it takes much more diligence, planning and keeping themselves accountable to have it be a successful program. Also, I wish that Medifast wasn’t as expensive and that if a person was a prior customer, there was some extra discount for bars or steak, that was extended on a regular basis.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I was struggling with losing weight and nothing else was really working. I need to follow something, otherwise I'd just cheat all day. I've used Medifast before, about seven to eight years ago after I had my son, and just started it up again now. I have found that it is one of the only things that really worked well. I liked that there are more options for food than it used to be back then. I do all my ordering online, which is different than what it used to be, but I figured it out. I love Medifast's plan but I'm on a plateau right now, so it's a little frustrating. Once I get off it, I'll get going again.

Original review: June 8, 2017

A friend of mine used Medifast and it worked well for him recently. I also used it for a couple of months a couple of years ago and I started it again a month and a half ago. I was hungry and miserable for the first week and then I started to adjust and got used to it. I've been feeling good since and I have more energy. Overall, Medifast works great and it's totally inexpensive.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I require low blood sugar diet in order to lose any weight and so I chose Medifast. The first time that I used it I lost about seven pounds in the first week and that was great. But then I plateaued by the third week and never lost any other weight, which is why I initially stopped taking it. I’ve done things like the Whole30 before, and while Medifast is definitely going to help you lose weight, it’s not going to make you feel healthy or happy because it’s very processed. It’s not going to improve you through vitamins or anything like that.

I like it because it’s easy to do on the go when I'm at work. But when I go out to dinner with friends, I'm starving and I'm only allowed with really one good meal a day. I can’t have a lot of carbs so I would just have meat and veggies with my meal. It is definitely a hard thing to do and the food does not taste great. Every single food that I’ve tried has this chemical aftertaste. But it’s definitely helpful for people with diabetes or pre-diabetic like me and it's helpful to get me back on track, which is why I’ve purchased it again.

Both times I tried to buy food, I had problems and I had to do it over the phone which was a little bit annoying because it's easier if trying to do everything on the internet. But the customer service was pretty helpful, nice and knowledgeable about the questions I had. The only downfall is that since I haven't done it in a couple of months, they just dropped my discount. That sucks because if I'm going to be away for a month, it doesn’t make sense to be a recurring member who has a discount. But it's really easy to use and quick to lose weight.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had used Medifast years ago and it was the best weight-loss method for me because it's all prescribed. It's easy to do and I've recommended it to people. I wanted to lose a few pounds, so I ordered that again. I get six to eight packets and a thing for $16, so it really works out for a dollar or two, but when buying multiple boxes at $17 upright, I'm like, "Whoa." The cost adds up but when you break it down per meal, it's not so expensive.

The first few days are the hardest. My body had to get used to the fact that it's smaller portions. My doctor even told me when I was on Medifast the first time not to do intense workouts because in the beginning, I'm cutting back on my calories. But I do CrossFit which is a very intense workout, so it's hard to stay on exactly the Medifast plan because I need a little bit more protein. So I might use the shake and put a banana in it because I'd be depleted if I didn't do that.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Ads that I have stumbled upon reminded me that people I knew lost weight using Medifast. Indeed, it works and I have now lost 30 pounds. Their shakes are very good and helpful, and their protein bars are awesome. I felt fine after eating them, but the diet is pretty strict. I missed eating fresh food like fruits and vegetables, but I cheat a little bit. For the first couple of days, I still grew hungry, but I got used to it quickly. Thinking about how much Medifast costs makes you stick with it. Now I feel satisfied between meals, maybe because we’re eating like every three hours and because of the protein incorporated in the diet. Also, Medifast's customer service is fine but I didn't want to use it to talk about weight loss. The only time I ever have to talk to someone was if I was having trouble when making an order on the website. It has been a good experience with Medifast. I'll use it again.

Original review: June 4, 2017

My husband had previously done Medifast, and I like that it's convenient. I'm in a very busy schedule and I don't have time to do a lot of meal prepping and preparing. As with any diet, the program was very difficult for the first two to three weeks. But at the same time, I had five servings a day, two or three hours later, and I knew I get to have a shake or something to curb my appetite.

Though I haven't reached my weight loss goals yet, Medifast helped. I lost about 15 pounds during my first month. Unfortunately I was having some health problems and had to go off it. I had my gallbladder removed four days ago and I'm also planning on trying to get pregnant in the next few months. So, I will probably not try it again until after I'm to the point where I'm either able to do a breastfeeding or done breastfeeding. But when I called to cancel, their rep was very nice and understanding. She asked why I was cancelling which I was happy to share with her. Overall, Medifast worked well for me. I've tried every diet including Jenny Craig, but I had a better experience with Medifast. I didn't do it 100% like I should have and probably would have been more successful had I done that, but that's okay. There's always next time.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I had trouble losing weight and I thought that Medifast might work so I decided to use them. I've used it on and off for five years and it has helped me achieve my weight loss goals. I feel good after using Medifast and that's why I went back to it. I've gone back two times to get off some weight and I've been successful each time.

I've done different diets such as Weight Watchers and that didn't help. Medifast's diet works for me. It's simple, easy and I can still work it in with my schedule. I feel full and don't feel like I'm dieting. While I think their program is pricey, I think it's worth it because it works. Overall, I've had a great and effective experience with them.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I was overweight and I thought Medifast might work. I ordered it online and the process was good. When I got it, I didn’t start it for a week for some reason. But once I got it going it was okay. I only lost 10 pounds in three weeks, though, and I’m happy I lost some weight as I’ve never been on a diet before, but I didn’t think the food tasted very well. It had very bland flavor. But going through the diet taught me how to eat more evenly during the day. I didn’t use to eat lunch and then I’d eat a lot in the afternoon. So if I ate something in the early morning, then at noon and then in the afternoon, that kinda helped. I wouldn’t feel like I had to eat as much. Overall, it was an okay experience, but I expected more.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Medifast has helped me achieve my weight loss goals. The first three days are the hardest. But I always ate my evening meal so I made it through the day and looked forward to having my piece of chicken or my vegetables. Also, I can take the food with me wherever I go. It took me about six months to lose 35 pounds. It was amazing, but then I had a car accident and I've gained 20 pounds of it back. Then I started getting Medifast again and I'm not as motivated as I was.

I loved my girl that I went in to see all the time. We had a place here in Birmingham where I could go, but they have all closed down when the son inherited the program. It really helps to be going there and weigh in and be accountable and get your food and bring it home. Then they'd also see the progress and give compliments. Now, I have to get a box off the front porch. Also, when I was buying it, it was $17.95 a box which is pricey, but after he inherited the company, I heard it's now $19.50 a box. But I recommend it because it is something that anyone can do. It's hard but you just have to be dedicated. It made me feel good because I thought I was all that at my age.

Original review: May 28, 2017

A physician told me about Medifast, she had great success with it. I started it in April. The first two weeks took a lot out of me. I was having a really rough time and they talked me off the ledge a couple of times. I wasn't losing weight during those two weeks. Then all of a sudden, "boom" I was down ten pounds and then I got excited. By July, I was 40 pounds lighter. By Thanksgiving, I gained 20 of it back, just eating normal meals. I was okay with that too because I didn't think I'd keep it off because I wasn't doing anything but drinking shakes and eat a little lean and green. I did not do the weaning off process that they tell you to do when you stop it. I just stopped. I was just starving. It's tough to do because you don't feel well for a good ten days. That's how long it lasted for me then, it's like a first-trimester pregnancy.

They say it takes a few days before you feel good. It actually took me two weeks. It was pretty rough. I'm retired now but at the time, I was working. So, it's easier to be at work than it would be, when you’re at home and then felt that weak all the time. You go into ketosis. I took my blood sugar one-time and it was 40 when I was feeling really sick and weak. But I got through it and I did it and I was very successful. I just wasn't diligent enough to keep it off. I would never do that solely again because I can't go through that anymore.A lot of my friends did not do well. They had a reaction to soy, it made my sister very sick. She had sores all over her tongue and so did another friend of mine.

Overall, I'm happy with my Medifast experience. The Medifast representatives were always very helpful. Sometimes I had trouble ordering online and I would just call and they take care of it. Everybody I talked to was great. I like their coffee. I would make a smoothie out of the sauce or coffee for breakfast. Throughout the years, I ordered and did a little bit. But I've never really quite achieve the success I had the first time and then it got very expensive. So, I've stopped ordering it.

Original review: May 26, 2017

My stepdaughter was on Medifast and lost a lot of weight. What I like about it is it's an easier option. I like the prepackaged meals. I can have my meals planned out, grab it, and go. And then at night, I can eat protein if I want to or I'll have half of the egg - half protein in the morning and half at night. I'm still working on my weight loss goals and figuring out what food I like and which is easier for me. Oatmeal is really easy and some things I can grab and go. There are some things that I don't care for but I'll have to eat eventually though. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied. I just need to know if I can replace the shaker cup or do I have to buy a whole new stuff.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I was impressed by some of Medifast's advertising, and I thought I'd give it a try. I've lost 90 pounds but then gained 60 back. Then, I've lost 30 pounds again. I was surprised at how I wasn’t hungry, and so it was easy to stick with. I still could stand to lose about 60 pounds but if I lost another 45, I’d be happy. However, right now, I need to stop for a while just because I can’t afford it. It’s hard to eat that food constantly forever and ever. I've run into some other expenses and I just can’t afford the $300 a month. But then, it's been a good experience and I’d probably come back again some time. I'd recommend Medifast to other people.

This time around however, the prices have gone up about $2 a box. I thought it’s been a while since I did that. So, I was disappointed with the pricing of their food. But I guess I wasn’t too surprised. As far as the food goes, I’ve narrowed down what I liked and what I don’t really like that much or, what’s a hassle for me to make. I like to have bars, chips and stuff like that because I’m always on the run. The oatmeal was good. I like the pancakes and shakes too but I don’t really make them that often, although I have the stuff. Right now, I got a little backlog of boxes and other things. Also, I don’t go to any Medifast center. I just do the online ordering. I've been through weight loss programs, the counseling, and all that before, so it's not anything new to me. I’m my own motivation.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Medifast is a good company and they have a proven track record that can help people up. Years back I heard about them and I started trying them out when it was much more expensive to try than it is today. I went from 305 down to 240 and I'm still working on it. The portions were right and I felt good. I feel hungry and then it goes away as I get used to that diet. My bathroom routine changes and it goes when I go off the diet. I've been off and on for that last two years but I keep going back and get started again. I need to lose the rest of my 40 pounds against my goal weight.

When I first started Medifast, I have the girl that took care of me every Saturday that I went in. But the staff had changed and I would get whoever was available to take the next person so that's a big issue. Medifast should look at that again and think about how I can start out with one person who knows me versus somebody that doesn't know me and has to read my chart. And then originally, I thought the people were much more attuned to what's going on and the program itself. Earlier, there are people that cared about me and they make sure that they help me out on what I'm doing. But it was more of a job later than it was earlier on. Other than that, it's a good plan which works well and in general, the people are trying to help me stick to the plan.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My sister and her husband were on Medifast. They had really good success with it, so I tried it based on their success although I've had mixed feelings about this diet. I've lost 20 pounds in about two and a half months, but it's very hard to follow the way you're supposed to do it and I feel hungry a lot. The product is quite expensive too. Several people including my niece were on it too and they've done a lot better dealing with the diet. Maybe I haven't followed it as closely as I should and I go off of it a little bit at night which could be why I haven't lost more weight. I don't know if it's the right diet, but I've stuck with it. I was going to call and talk to a dietitian at Medifast but haven't done that. I've dealt with people at Medifast only when ordering the product and they've all been fine and professional.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I tried Medifast 10 years ago and lost 30 pounds. I wanted to try it again but it's not working for me. I'm still trying to use it a little bit because they won't let me return it. I want to send it back and they said that they sent me a label return, but I never got it. I called them numerous times and the head person called and said that they researched and it was sent to my email. I went back to my email and it wasn't there. So, it's not a good experience. Nonetheless, even if Medifast didn't work for me; it might work for others.

Original review: May 20, 2017

My dad had done Medifast before. I did it also back in 2012 and it worked for me so I did it again. The first couple of weeks were definitely an adjustment period but once I got by that, it’s really easy. They're satisfying meals and I couldn’t be happier with it. Medifast is perfect because I’m always on the go and it's easier with the bars and the shakes. I take a case of bars with me and it's awesome. I've lost 50 pounds on Medifast and I was really happy about it. Every day, I feel better getting up in the morning and I feel more confident. Also, the shipments always came on time. The experience was great and helpful overall.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I was on the Medifast program seven years ago. I just went back on it again for a couple of months. I really haven't lost weight this last time because I haven't been as conscious following the diet as I was the first time around. It does work if the program is followed because that's the way that it's set up. If one cheats and eats things that they're not supposed to or eat more than they're supposed to, obviously they won't lose the weight that they should lose. Nevertheless, it's a good program. I've actually recommended it to a couple of people when I did it the first time.

Original review: April 12, 2017

This product is very effective and was just what I needed for my condition and to live a better life free of strife and problems. The food quality is absolutely delicious. You can't even tell it's from a meal plan and it blows all over meal plans out of the water. I would eat this all the time. Also, customer support has been exceptional. I have been treated with the utmost care and I'm a completely happy customer. The value of this product is incomparable to any other options out there on the market. I'm happy with my purchase and definitely have gotten my money's worth.

Original review: April 7, 2017

There was a great variety of the food which is great because most weight loss plans don't have that. It gives us trying to lose weight great incentive to stick to the meal plans. They definitely keep up with their customers and make sure we are happy and satisfied with our plans. Also, they make sure we are on track and keep us that way. I used this product after gaining 70 pounds of baby weight and it did not take long for the weight to start coming off. Medifast is definitely worth the money it costs. It works and great at that and it's easy and completely great for any type of weight loss.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Medifast work great. I have already lost 5 pounds in my first week. On top of that, the food tastes great. The food quality is good. You get just the right amount of food. But not too much where you feel bad afterward. I feel very satisfied after I eat it. Customer service is very useful when you have a question. They are respectful if you are respectful to them. The value is okay but sometimes I do think it is a little expensive. But at least I know it works. I have never felt better about myself until now. Definitely going to keep buying it.

Original review: April 5, 2017

The effectiveness is super cool and it affects my smell so you guys should try it. It also affects your learning because you're learning twice. I really love food because you get to make anything so that food gives you the energy to move and stay active. Also, customer support helps you with stuff because it teaches you how to work it or move. Value is important because it matters about the deals and how much money it costs because everyone wants the lowest price every time.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I wanted something that is dummy proof because I'm very busy and I have a very stressful life. I needed something that would be easy. Then I heard about Medifast through my physician. The foods are very good for what I can have. I have very limited options because of food allergies, but they're great. The soups are good and the hearty meals are fantastic. The ready to drink drinks are perfect. The experience I've had so far has been very pleasant. Honestly, for a person who doesn't have food allergies, I don't think one could get a better diet. It's actually made with real food instead of being new to system or something with additives and different things in it. I have lost 15 pounds in the three months that I've been on it. I haven't achieved all my goals yet but it's a great progress.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was trying to find an easy way to lose weight because I don't have time to go to the gym. I thought changing my eating habits would be a lot better, so I went for Medifast. It helped me out a lot. I was very hungry during the process and felt bad for the reason that everybody around me was eating junk food and they were especially teasing me after knowing that I was going through the program but it turned out good. Everything came organized and they provided a book. It was a good choice. I lost a total of 10 pounds and to be honest I wasn't even doing the course correctly as I have cheated. I really like the way that it worked. It's a good way to start going for that path of being healthy and in shape.

Original review: April 2, 2017

The first time that I ordered from Medifast about four months ago, they shipped to me a small amount of things, but they didn't ship to me everything that I ordered. They just sent to me some cleansing products and shakes, and they charged me $100 for these. So, at that point, I went with a different product. However, the next month, without asking me, they shipped to me the entire thing and they charged my credit card, even if I never do auto-ship. Although I didn't order these products for the second time, I got a big box of products that I didn't want and that cost me $500. So, I was not very happy. It was a horrible experience.

Medifast Company Information