Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

Medifast is ideal for dieters who haven’t gotten results from a traditional healthy meal plan or are considering surgery to achieve weight loss. Medifast is a simple weight loss program that features five meal replacement items and one meal per day. It includes options for support through support groups and health coaches.

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Begin your weight loss journey today

Determine your weight loss goals & needs with Noom’s online evaluation

Get started now

Medifast Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medifast?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

They’re terrible. I ordered a kit online for approximately $400 and customized my kit with the foods I knew I’d actually eat. What actually arrived was a bunch of gross food I didn’t pick. I called to try to return the food & have to pay shipping for their mistake!! Customer service is terrible, food is terrible, website is old fashioned & terrible. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Helps you lose weight, but leads to lifelong problems. Medifast helped me lose 115 pounds. It also left me with a crippling eating-disorder from which I am struggling to pick up the pieces. When I started Medifast back in 2016, I weighed 285 pounds. I needed a lifestyle change. I chose Medifast, mainly because of the name. I had 4 small 110 calorie "meals" a day and a sensible dinner. My average calorie intake on a daily basis was probably less than a little over 1000. I saw the weight start to pour off, so I got more motivated to "stick with it". Eventually I started getting positive comments like, "You look great!" and "What's your secret?" I got down to 170 pounds, was in by best shape ever and started loosening the reigns from my restrictive eating behavior.

Around this time, the binges began and I became overwhelmingly obsessed with food. I was either eating as few calories as I could, or I was eating until I almost threw up. The frequency of my overeating increased and so I tried everything to curb my appetite, diet pills, protein shakes, coffee, books, even hypnotherapy. None of it worked. I was in constant agony because of how I felt and how I had put on 45 pounds of the weight I had lost. I know that Medifast did this to me. It is deplorable that this company and others market themselves as healthy dieting options when in reality there is no healthy dieting option. I'm just learning this now, but it is a pain I will continue to struggle with my entire life. Stay away from Medifast. Stay far, far away...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have used this product in the past with really good results. I have to say the food isn’t very good but it works if you can stand it. My second order comes as an auto ship. They did an email at 2 am Sunday night. I call Monday morning to cancel my order and they said no problem it’s canceled. Nope 3 days later I have a box at the front door. It’s Medifast and With all the wrong food. I have never ordered any of this stuff. So I call to get a return label and Find out... I have to pay to return their wrong order! No way am I ever ever going to use this company again. The guy in customer service said he try to explain to upper management and try and give out a paid return slip to me. Are you kidding me???? I paid postage to get it to me and now I have to pay postage to send it back!!! ITS NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay away far far away!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

In reading reviews which I wish I would have BEFORE I ordered it's the same thing across the board. The auto-ship is a scam for sure. You get an email that you are about to get an auto-ship that by the way I did not sign up for. I immediately call them within 10 minutes of the email and they tell me they stopped it. The girl on the phone said "we just don't sign people up for auto-ships Ma'am". I argued that I knew nothing about it! 2 hours later I get I get another email stated that my order shipped out. I call back again and they tell me it can't be stopped. These people that answer the phone have nothing to do with Optavia or Medifast. They are strictly order takers. Try to get your money back OR your shipping fees back! What a joke!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I wanted to lose a few pounds before the holidays. The convenience of grab and go type meals was appealing and I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. The problem was I was told I could cancel at any time, so I did. Then I got an email about a recurring order so I went online and found I could only review but couldn't change anything. I contacted my coach, we sat together and changed my order to zero items in my cart and He called to cancel recurring order. Then I get another email saying my order was processed and my card was billed $500... I called Customer service and was told that I had been taken off of recurring order but was shipped and billed anyway? Was then explained that I would have to ship products back and would take 2 weeks to get my money back.

If the mistake was made on Optavia's behalf they should release my funds immediately, at the very least 2 business days, but 2 weeks is a load of crap! I will never do business with a company that promotes care and concern for my well being and quality of life all the while taking my account info hostage and exacting payment without my permission and making the process so difficult to get your money back that most would get frustrated with the hassle and just take the loss. I see what you're doing Optavia, you just want my money. Well your lack of integrity has lost me as a customer and I will discourage everyone I ever hear of that wants to try your company. Have some integrity, your product should sell itself without you having to scam people for payments.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

An order was processed for me without notification. I called the same day for cancellation and was told it was a glitch in the system that I was not notified and that it was caught in time to cancel. A couple days later a shipment email came through and I was charged for the order. I called again and was told it had been marked as RTS and I would get a refund in 5-10 days. I finally received a refund but it was minus shipping costs so I called again.

I spoke with two very rude CS reps, one being a supervisor, and I was told there was nothing anyone could do but put in a request for shipping refund with a department that was internal only and I would not be able to speak with anyone in that department. Finally I was put on the line with floor supervisor Brandon and he expedited the request for shipping refund, expedited the request to correct the glitch in my account (apparently it was still not fixed from 20 days earlier), and sent me free boxes to make up for the frustration. He is the only reason I didn't cancel my account completely.

I hate to write it this way because I have been in CS myself, and been on the other end of an angry customer, and I realize my one tiny account isn't going to make a difference in the long run to this company. But I have been a customer for 1.5 years and never had an issue, never returned an item, never fought over pricing, etc. until now. And this is all due to a glitch in my online account that is not my fault, but I am being charged as though it was.

It is unfortunate that the supervisor before him, Ti, did not handle the situation appropriately. She had every opportunity to de-escalate the situation just as he did, but she chose to argue with me and tell me there was nothing she could do and there was no one else she could pass me to that could help me. She refused to give me contact information for her supervisor or transfer me to him (she said he wasn't in today and she didn't know what day he would be back, which sounds like a crock of ** to me). I asked for the quality department to submit a complaint, and that is when she transferred me to Brandon.

I admit I was rude back to her and cut her off multiple times when she continued to tell me no one in the company could help me or talk to me, and didn't give any more ideas of how to make this situation better. She portrayed that she didn't care about my situation, which I could understand if it were me that made a mistake in the first place and then was calling to get something for free, but that was not the case...and to not even apologize for the online glitch that caused the situation is baffling to me. I realize that $21 seems like an insignificant amount, but I do not feel I should have to pay that for a glitch in the company computer system and that a supervisor, Ti, would understand why that is frustrating.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I purchased an Optavia kit in June 2019. Optavia is actually made by Medifast. The coach who made this purchase for me, did not tell me that I also signed up for monthly shipments. Much of what was sent I did not like and so I ate what I liked and somewhat liked and used real food (healthy options to substitute and get me through the first month. About 3 weeks after I had received my first order I noticed another charge of about $400 on my credit card. I was disgusted to find another shipment was made without my knowledge on top of all the product I had left which I did not like. I am retired and live on a limited income so $400 was a lot but it was a complete waste if I did not use it. I am writing this after reading that someone had product that was sent to them which was melted and Optavia did nothing about.

I do not know what their complete return policy is, but I do know after calling the company about the second order that was shipped without my knowledge that a new customer has a 30 day guarantee! I know this because unbelievably they told me to return everything back to them that I did not like. I boxed it up and shipped it back. I had opened the boxes of everything I returned and tried at least one. I paid for the shipping to return it but saw a credit for many times more than the shipping cost on my credit card. If you have any doubts about what I am telling you I suggest you call the company first! This was my experience! They also either stopped my second order from shipping or stopped it in route and I was refunded for that as well.

After that frustration it has been full speed ahead! I ordered my first order myself and ordered what I liked and a couple of new things. I do this now every month. I order for a month and get it shipped free. I am not sure what you actually have to order to get free shipping. Although I got off to a rough start, this company has been fabulous to work with. Knowing what you like is very important and somewhat critical to success for many of us. I wish Optavia would send a first kit with 2 of everything for a first order. Once we know what we really like we could then get a first order with multiple boxes that would last for a month. That is all I have for suggestions.

Fast Forward... 3.5 months. I did not let the initial start stop me, probably because this company made everything right by me. I am so grateful for that as I am not sure I would have continued if things had not played out like they did. I am 60 years old and was about 40 pounds overweight. I have medical problems from past injuries, autoimmune issues and a few others. My doctor thought this diet/life change would be a good start. My doctor insisted I make a few changes however so I include a slice of Florida avocado and all fruits and vegetable except for ones with the highest carbs. I also include a small handful of nuts each day usually in a salad that is more colorful than a GAY PRIDE PARADE (no offence meant). I seem to not really even care for meat like I once did and am happy with fruits and vegetables on most days. Except for my Optavia I have turned into a raw foodie..

I could have never imagined that this could have changed the way I eat and want to eat so drastically and in such short period of time. Even with the changes that my doctor insisted on, I am down by 20 pounds.. Wow.. Yay! I have not seen this on my scale in about 10 years! I am now not even sure that I should go down another 20 but I am still working it and will decide with my doctor after 15 more is gone. I have no doubts I will do this! I hope you see that I have included both my good and bad experiences here. If you need to lose weight and take it off for good with healthier eating habits, I suggest you give this a try. If you know someone that is using Optavia, you might even try to purchase one of everything that they have to get a better idea of what you will like and not like before you have boxes of them sent to you.

MY FAVORITES... Strawberry shakes, Dark Chocolate with cherry shake, Cheesy Buttermilk Mac & Cheese, Cinnamon Cream Cheese Swirl Cake, vegetable chili, Honey Mustard Sticks, Cinnamon Sugar Sticks, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, Decadent Brownies, Red Berry Crunchy O's, Cinnamon Crunchy O's, Peanut Butter Bars, Drizzled Mint Chocolate Bars, Lemon Bars. It is no wonder I was overweight. I appear I still like sweets but with Optavia, these are for the most part just over 100 calories each and they are sweetened with stevia. Optavia/Medifast did right by me and I hope it is the solution you are searching for!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I'm actually a fan of the products and like the convenience of the bars. They are easy to grab and go. My last order came with everything melted. I thought it would be an easy fix of a call and they would ship out a new order. I sent them pictures to prove that the order was melted and I was told to freeze them. That didn't work as half the bars just stuck to the wrapper, or were so hard I thought my teeth would break. I called back and was hung up on. I tried again and was told to suck it up. This is not a way to treat customers who are paying a premium price to stay on a diet.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I have used Medifast a few times over many years when I gain my weight back (like I always do). Please note that EVERY weight loss program works until you start eating like a ** again, if you expect some miracle when you go back to your bad habits your body does exactly what you think it will. Medifast works very well if you follow it exactly and weigh your food, not snack and pay attention. You will be eating 1000-1200 calories a day which will lose weight, if you don't you are cheating. The chemistry is there, you will be in mild ketosis. This kind of weight loss has been around for decades, it's not new. You WILL lose weight if you are a human being. Exercise is important too so use common sense. If it is supposed to be good for you don't just sit on the couch and expect a miracle.

It is really really expensive for packets of soy protein but if you are like me and need a program to follow you just wince and pay it. They recently raised rates again, it's $450 bucks now for 30 days. Sheesh I should buy the stock. The way I look at it is I spent a few years eating like an idiot and now it costs me. Like all weight management plans we are at the mercy of a business that preys upon a need we have that we can't do without help. No different than ** or anti wrinkle creams....

If you follow it exactly and make a pact with yourself to be different expect to lose 2 LBS a week. After you hit your weight loss goals and feel like a new person, remember as soon as you go back to your old ways you will look like your old self, maybe worse. Believe me I know! I don't need a "coach" just have friends and family support you. You can cancel if you go on website and look for it. You cannot just ignore or send it back. If you want to cancel go to your account and terms and conditions and read about it. I've been there a few times, it's not hard. Good luck and get skinny.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I went looking for a health coach. I found one and met with them. They introduced Optavia as an idea that I could try. I had already told them that I didn't want a ketogenic diet or a diet with severe calorie restriction (of which this is both). I researched it and because it included the coaching, I decided to try it. My assessments:

1) The food is disgusting. The coach kept saying "your taste buds adjust" but that is basically a Stockholm Syndrome for the mouth. This is the primary criticism and the major driver of the 1 star rating.
    2) Extremely expensive - give the poor flavor, you'd expect better tasting food for this price.

3) Coaching: I feel duped by the coach. She actually wasn't a certified health coach (with health coaching certification). She's just an Optavia salesperson with one day of training from the company. She gets paid if I buy and stay on the diet.

Medifast Company Information