BMW of North America is recalling 50,404 of the following vehicles that come equipped with an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) module with an integrated cooler:
- Model year 2013-2018 328d, 328d xDrive,
- Model year 2014-2018 328d Sports Wagon, 328d xDrive Sports Wagon,
- Model year 2014-2016 535d, 535d xDrive,
- Model year 2015 740Ld xDrive,
- Model year 2015-2017 X3 xDrive28d SAV, and
- Model year2014-2017 X5 xDrive35d SAV diesel.
The EGR cooler may leak internally, causing coolant to mix with diesel engine soot. This could result in smoldering particles and a melting intake manifold.
A melting intake manifold increases the risk of a fire.
What to do
Dealers will replace the EGR cooler and inspect the intake manifold, replacing it -- as necessary -- free of charge.
Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on January 12, 2022.
Vehicles previously recalled in late 2018 for the same issue will need to have the new remedy performed for this recall.
Owners may contact BMW customer service at (800) 525-7417.