1.7/5 (22 ratings)

About CubeSmart

CubeSmart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CubeSmart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CubeSmart?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

1) Advertised "free" unit for a month. Still had to pay some. 2) They recommended the size unit we would need for a 2 bedroom place. We have 1 bed, 1 dresser, a small table & no living room couches or chairs & some personal things in boxes. They reassured us that they would help us out if it was not enough room. We ended up renting a second unit, which was NOT free. When I asked about getting the unit that would actually be big enough for 2 bedrooms, that one is NOT free for first month.

3) The "free" month is over & they sent an invoice for both the units stating it would be auto pay. Then I get dunning emails to pay my bill. Their system sent out the bill & the notices that auto pay was coming (enough for both units), but one was not really set up. It took me hours today to straighten it out. 4) I called the store 2 days prior to ask about the dunning emails, left a message, AND HE NEVER CALLED BACK. We rented a unit here before and was VERY happy with our service. Quite the opposite this time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

They deserve nothing. 7070 E speedway location - My unit was broken into and this place is a complete and utter joke when it came to letting Nancy know. She literally couldn’t give a crap. She took no pictures, didn't document a single thing and I had to tell her that she needed to give me a new lock because they made a makeshift lock which my key somehow worked in?!!! It was hard to turn but it was a lock that was welded together. Everything is GONE. EVERY PRECIOUS ITEM IS GONE!!!! they have 2 cameras that only look at the front entrance/exit gate. Nothing protects the units. Nancy said she in the golf cart “everyday, several times a day” and the only damn thing she is looking at are stickers on the lock? IF THAT'S THE CASE THEN WOULDN'T YOU HAVE SEEN THAT A STICKER WAS ON A LOCK THAT DIDN'T BELONG TO THE UNIT?!!! She immediately knew it wasn’t their locks when I made her come to my unit but she couldn’t see it driving around all ** day?!!! Everyday?!!! Worst company ever.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

We have stored personal items and business records and equipment for 10 years with their outlet in Long Beach, CA. In the last six months, our units have been broken into twice, with items taken. Despite assurances, this outlet does not have any security. They don't have cameras in the area of our unit, though we were told that they do. The outlet borders a homeless encampment, and the fencing is inadequate and easily breached. We have requested documentation of the incidents, and have been denied this. We have asked to speak to the branch manager, and this has not occurred. No mechanism for making an insurance claim has been provided. Many others have a similar experience. Don't do business with CubeSmart, and be prepared to sue them.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

My bill increased from $160 to over $190 without me being notified. I called and was told this is a yearly increase, even though I was never told of this before. I pointed out that today only begins my sixth month with CubeSmart. The representative was at a loss to explain the increase. Fortunately, we will not have to use this rip off company for much longer.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I've had a storage space with them since 2010 and have always paid consistently for a decade. It seems my card on file expired and they cut my lock and were going forward with selling my stuff. Luckily I logged in and paid in time but they didn't save my card I used and instead still tried to use my expired card! Not only that but I never received a call, an email or text that my card on file has expired. How can a company as large as CubeSmart not have a simple feature to notify a user that their card on file is about to expire? That is so standard in web development.

Another thing is that they have an email account for me that I no longer have access to and I can't even change my email address to a current one. That's essentially like not allowing someone to switch their address. It's absurd that some simple features are missing. It's almost like they want storage space to go to auction.

I got a call from someone that informed me my card was expired (finally) and that they had cut my lock and need me to buy a new one. We have a key on file with them so why would they cut my lock? Why would they cut someone's lock who has consistently paid for a decade? Again, it's like you want to be able to auction off storage spaces.

I asked the person on the phone why they never called me when my card was expired and he literally said their phone system was down. I thought he was kidding to be a smarty but he was dead serious. I have 2 calls on record from a number with a 267 code and then 3 calls from a number with a 512 area code. So 5 calls total, zero text notifications, zero email notifications because I can't change my email on my account, and zero mail notifications? They really want to auction off storage spaces.

It's ridiculous that the system in place makes little attempt to contact someone with a card issue. After very few contact attempts they cut someone's lock that has been with them for a decade (even though I have a key on file), users can't change their email address on file, they have a phone system that "was down" and couldn't contact me in a window of time that was crucial. Truly ridiculous.

Original review: July 22, 2021

DO NOT RENT FROM HERE. Apparently Cubesmart was not aware of how hot their units are. Nor did they inform their customers about the issue either so they could attempt to protect their possessions. I informed cubesmart about the temperature of 97 degrees inside the climate controlled building. They had no idea...which makes me question how long has the a/c been an issue. CubeSmart said they had fans inside but when I was there 7-20-2021 @ 4pm...There were NO fans. I went back the following day and still no fans. I am going back today to see if the a/c is fixed or if they actually put out fans. I’m very concerned about my possessions.

I also asked why they raised the storage rent twice in a year...I got a political response. The lady said they look at rental rates around them and can raise or decrease prices twice a year. That’s extreme! Oh and you can forget about using the facility dumpster. Kinda redundant for a storage facility to have dumpsters but the renters can’t use them.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Disgusting units. HORRIBLE UNCOMPASSIONATE EMPLOYEES!!!! I moved in 1/21, went back 5/21 with movers to move out to my new place and the manager in 1/21 gave me wrong keys. The manager 5/21 told me at my expense I needed to get a locksmith to saw lock off, 1st MISTAKE!!! After 2 hrs with MY MOVERS on the clock the lock was finally sawed off at Cubesmart's expense! Mover moved everything to my new house and all ROACHES the size of my index finger came out of all the boxes. There were tons of roaches and poop all in my cubesmart unit as well and now in my new house and ruined some of my beautiful 8k dining room table chairs and much more!!!!

Here we are July 2021, I filled out multiple incident reports (employees which change daily said they can’t see if reports were filed in the system)! They offered me a rent rebate!!! I had to move all my stuff out of my new house and back to cubesmart and bomb the house! Cubesmart told me they would bomb my unit NEVER HAPPENED and file an ins claim which I did! Ins co called me backed after hrs to let me know the ins DOESN'T COVER RODENTS OR INSECTS. So basically not only have I paid to store my entire life in this unit and ruined irreplaceable items, im out $2500 + all the rent I’ve paid for this crap hole. Me as a tenant does not want to hear cubesmart employees telling me “it is a terrible company to work for, I’m only getting paid 10$ an hour, retiring in 9/21!" THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM. I HAVE PICTURES VIDEOS FOR BACK UP! I’ve sent them and no one cares. I truly hope people read this before storing with them.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Get ready to pay a lot of fees in addition to the cost of the rental. This company specializes in nickle and diming their customers. Worst offense: requiring a fee to make a payment, then having the audacity to call it a "courtesy fee."

Original review: April 24, 2021

In short. I have been renting a 5x10 since Sept. 2020 for the agreed - online price of 39.00. Up til March they auto debited my account for 49.00 w\o notice. I disputed 10.00 of the 49.00. Now I have to pay 90.00 which include the 39.00 twice. Manager nor district manager would correct the issue. CUBESMART will increase your rate at any time w\o notice. Pre-pandemic the business was not like this but sadly now they are all about ripping people off when people are in need the most. RENTER BEWARE!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

My rate was increased a high amount this month, during Covid-19. I'm always on time with my payments, it's ridiculous. I've called and email and no one helped me. I'm now paying over $400 for a unit, WOW! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. BE CAREFUL, THEY WILL RAISE YOUR RATES WITHOUT NOTICE.

CubeSmart Company Information