1.6/5 (27 ratings)

About CubeSmart

CubeSmart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CubeSmart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CubeSmart?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I gave Cubesmart 1-month's notice that I would be moving out January 14th, 2022. HRA was 30 days late in paying the bill, so I gathered up some extra funding and sent it in myself to avoid auctioning while I was in the process of moving out. On the 31st day, HRA finally sends a payment, but now they have received an extra $111 from me that I barely could spare at the time - making it paid up to an extra month, February 14th. I wasn't thinking much of it considering I notified them of the move well in advance, and assumed they would be courteous and just mail the prepaid rent to my address. Well first off, I called the facility and asked them to confirm that my account was indeed closed and site vacated and left open. The girl told me the account was still open, then proceeded to just repeat the information I'd just given her saying I moved out and left the cube open. That isn't confirmation of an account closure at all.

I then asked her about the refund for the prepaid rent and she couldn't give me an answer, so I asked her to note my account and forward it to the site supervisor so he could further assist, and she alleged to have done so. I proceed to call Cubesmart at the main phone number and ask about a refund for the prepaid rent per se and was told they don't provide prorated rebates. I then went to Cubesmart's online chat and informed them of the 1/14 move out and asked them if they closed my account. The chat specialist said she saw my account was still open so she forwarded the site facility an email confirming them the cube was vacated and requested to close my account. I then asked if I would be refunded and she said she will certainly request that. So what's the deal Cubesmart? I understand if you don't offer refunds for unused days, but prepaid or surplus rent is a different scenario altogether! The payments were made exactly 24 hours from each other!

I spoke with staff endless times to ask for extensions and was promptly denied. But you promptly took the money and don't consider that a foul? Not to mention my belongings were COVERED with rat ** and turds! The boxes and covers I used to block out YOUR cockroaches were chewed through and mutilated. Yet, you offer NO WARNING OF THE PEST PROBLEM, and NO INSURANCE to potentially compensate for damage. But you put rat poison packs in my new cubicle making it clear that you're acknowledging the problem WELL AFTER I PAID FOR THE UNIT! Disgusting! Not just the vermin, but your made up rules and policy facade! Utterly disgraceful! I left the rat turds for YOU to clean up. ;)

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Cube Smart (Streamwood IL). Moving out of my locker before lease expired. (21days). Was still utilizing space and they shut me out immediately with no warning. Jennifer would not allow me back in, or a refund!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I signed up with Extra Space. Within 2 months Cube Smart bought it out and immediately raised my rent. They continued to steadily raise my rent by $5 then $10 then $20. They are fraudulent. I called and spoke to the manager and he denied it even though I sent him pictures of the steady increase from my bank account. Ever heard the term gaslight? You can't tell someone you haven't raised their rent when they have steady proof from their bank account that you have indeed significantly raised the rent. The manager was rude and uncaring he literally did nothing to help me.

They shouldn't be in business and to claim they are #1 in customer service...read the reviews below...enough said. They are despicable and do not care about their tenants, all they care about is the dollar. DO NOT RENT HERE you will be sadly disappointed. I have had a unit with Public Storage and they do not operate this way. In a time where people need honest and help due to the pandemic Cube Smart is exploiting instead of helping. It's purely inexcusable.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I winter in Miami Beach and decided to store much of the stuff I bring back and forth from Chicago each year. I rented a space at CubeSmart -- 15 minutes from where I stay in Miami Beach. After about 5 months of paying rent I received a notice that my things had to be "out in 2 weeks". The message was sent by regular mail to me in Chicago with an erroneous address -- it just happened to get to me. There was no provision or arrangement to move my things to another facility. I spent a considerable sum having a mover get my things and move them to a different storage facility in Miami proper. I requested a refund and received no response. I called the national CubeSmart office and they could not do anything.

I complained to the Better Business Bureau and CubeSmart NEVER responded to their inquiries. The place seemed so well organized when I went to store my things. I understand the property was sold for many millions of dollars. My costs for moving my items should have been reimbursed and they should have made alternative arrangements for me. This company is a horror show and I would never deal with them again and recommend everyone else stay far away as well. I gave them a chance to behave properly and they did nothing.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

So I rented this storage in SB 1450 W. 23rd St, San Bernardino CA, 92411. I had it for two months and seen Rat poop all over my stuff. Disgusting. I do not recommend this place. Manager has not contacted me. They just care to collect your money while your stuff is ruined...

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

1) Advertised "free" unit for a month. Still had to pay some. 2) They recommended the size unit we would need for a 2 bedroom place. We have 1 bed, 1 dresser, a small table & no living room couches or chairs & some personal things in boxes. They reassured us that they would help us out if it was not enough room. We ended up renting a second unit, which was NOT free. When I asked about getting the unit that would actually be big enough for 2 bedrooms, that one is NOT free for first month.

3) The "free" month is over & they sent an invoice for both the units stating it would be auto pay. Then I get dunning emails to pay my bill. Their system sent out the bill & the notices that auto pay was coming (enough for both units), but one was not really set up. It took me hours today to straighten it out. 4) I called the store 2 days prior to ask about the dunning emails, left a message, AND HE NEVER CALLED BACK. We rented a unit here before and was VERY happy with our service. Quite the opposite this time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

They deserve nothing. 7070 E speedway location - My unit was broken into and this place is a complete and utter joke when it came to letting Nancy know. She literally couldn’t give a crap. She took no pictures, didn't document a single thing and I had to tell her that she needed to give me a new lock because they made a makeshift lock which my key somehow worked in?!!! It was hard to turn but it was a lock that was welded together. Everything is GONE. EVERY PRECIOUS ITEM IS GONE!!!! they have 2 cameras that only look at the front entrance/exit gate. Nothing protects the units. Nancy said she in the golf cart “everyday, several times a day” and the only damn thing she is looking at are stickers on the lock? IF THAT'S THE CASE THEN WOULDN'T YOU HAVE SEEN THAT A STICKER WAS ON A LOCK THAT DIDN'T BELONG TO THE UNIT?!!! She immediately knew it wasn’t their locks when I made her come to my unit but she couldn’t see it driving around all ** day?!!! Everyday?!!! Worst company ever.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

We have stored personal items and business records and equipment for 10 years with their outlet in Long Beach, CA. In the last six months, our units have been broken into twice, with items taken. Despite assurances, this outlet does not have any security. They don't have cameras in the area of our unit, though we were told that they do. The outlet borders a homeless encampment, and the fencing is inadequate and easily breached. We have requested documentation of the incidents, and have been denied this. We have asked to speak to the branch manager, and this has not occurred. No mechanism for making an insurance claim has been provided. Many others have a similar experience. Don't do business with CubeSmart, and be prepared to sue them.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

My bill increased from $160 to over $190 without me being notified. I called and was told this is a yearly increase, even though I was never told of this before. I pointed out that today only begins my sixth month with CubeSmart. The representative was at a loss to explain the increase. Fortunately, we will not have to use this rip off company for much longer.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I've had a storage space with them since 2010 and have always paid consistently for a decade. It seems my card on file expired and they cut my lock and were going forward with selling my stuff. Luckily I logged in and paid in time but they didn't save my card I used and instead still tried to use my expired card! Not only that but I never received a call, an email or text that my card on file has expired. How can a company as large as CubeSmart not have a simple feature to notify a user that their card on file is about to expire? That is so standard in web development.

Another thing is that they have an email account for me that I no longer have access to and I can't even change my email address to a current one. That's essentially like not allowing someone to switch their address. It's absurd that some simple features are missing. It's almost like they want storage space to go to auction.

I got a call from someone that informed me my card was expired (finally) and that they had cut my lock and need me to buy a new one. We have a key on file with them so why would they cut my lock? Why would they cut someone's lock who has consistently paid for a decade? Again, it's like you want to be able to auction off storage spaces.

I asked the person on the phone why they never called me when my card was expired and he literally said their phone system was down. I thought he was kidding to be a smarty but he was dead serious. I have 2 calls on record from a number with a 267 code and then 3 calls from a number with a 512 area code. So 5 calls total, zero text notifications, zero email notifications because I can't change my email on my account, and zero mail notifications? They really want to auction off storage spaces.

It's ridiculous that the system in place makes little attempt to contact someone with a card issue. After very few contact attempts they cut someone's lock that has been with them for a decade (even though I have a key on file), users can't change their email address on file, they have a phone system that "was down" and couldn't contact me in a window of time that was crucial. Truly ridiculous.

CubeSmart Company Information