1.45/5
Based on 69 reviews that contain star ratings

73 Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This is my second Sonicare toothbrush. I didn’t get the diamond. I got the one below that either not to get the best one out of anything but mine in the store. I wanna see which one around problem with the toothbrush. I don’t mind paying $30 for three heads kiss my mouth clean. Maybe you shouldn’t drop yours and tell the truth why doesn’t work.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I bought a set of kid toothbrushes from Costco. Just about 4 months later, one of the toothbrushes started having issue, stopping every 10 seconds. I was trying to contact customer service to have it replaced since it is well within the warranty. They asked me for receipt which I had registered on Philips.com with receipt attached! They said they could not see it through their system and they asked if you I could find my confirmation email for the registration which I could either. So they asked me to sent it to **. On top of it, I re-registered it on the web again to get an confirmation email about the registration! Contacted them again, still asking for prove of purchase! I repeatedly tell them I re-register the product on the website and I have confirmation email this time. They simply ignored what I had said and kept asking for receipt! How ignorant!

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased a Philips Sonicare Diamond Toothbrush about 11 months ago, well within the warranty. About a week ago, the toothbrush stopped working. We brought this matter to the customer service on the phone, and only learned by surprised that Philips has recently (early Aug 2018) changed their warranty policy without noticing any of their existing customers. In addition, the agent stated that since they have just changed the policy, they do not need to honor the old policy we received as we bought the product. Is this even legal???

Anyway, in our case, it resonants with a previous case I read here posted also Aug. 2018! Basically, Philips refuses to send us a replacement unless we sent the defect product first. However, this causes additional inconvenience! Shouldn't the customers' interest be placed at the first?! In comparison, the old (pre-Aug. 2018) Philips policy is to first send a replacement, then customers return the defect product. The reason I brought up the Aug. 2018 post I read here is that, it seems crazy to me that Philips can just abruptly change their policy. In this case, the customer is so unlucky, if the case was brought up literally a few days earlier, then he/she can be treated differently! How can this happen in America?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Ordered a warranty replacement brush after 1 year as the one I had stopped working intermittently during the brushing cycle. Replacement process was PAINFUL. Got email confirmation replacement was on the way from their supply chain partner Encompass. NEVER sent, for a month, had to go thru the process again and 'fight' for what was promised the first time. Replacement has now exhibited SAME problems 6 weeks in. So had to call AGAIN to replace. I was hung up on twice because reps can't work the phone system, promised a call back from a 'busy' supervisor, 4 hours later nothing. Finally call for the 4th time in one day (service???) only to be told the new policy is they won't ship the new brush until you send back the old one.

When I asked why, they said because some people didn't return the old one. So, rather than find a system to penalize those that don't follow the rules (maybe ask for a card # to hold to charge if the old one not returned), the choice is to penalize EVERYONE for bad behavior by some. I have extremely sensitive teeth so the option of having to go back to a regular brush for a month + while Philips receives back my old brush and sends me a new one. Let's not mention the SAME issue happened, and they STILL will not replace the charging base as well as the handle. LOUSY product development, lousy customer service. Will not pay good money for another Sonicare again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I owned 3 Philips Sonicare DiamondClean toothbrushes - ALL 3 stopped working after the end of the second year; which coincidentally is when the warranty comes to an end... this is a simple toothbrush that uses a vibrating coil to help clean teeth... Philips either can't produce a simple toothbrush that lasts beyond the warranty... It is negligent for Philips to design products that fail on the 2nd anniversary of the warranty (expires). That is the same as conspiring to make customers buy the same product over & over again. That is not called a purchase, that is called a subscription. Notwithstanding the fact that there are YouTube videos online showing how Philips are using substandard rechargeable batteries when they can use superior batteries. At this price point, it was unfair to expect customer to throw away good money after bad, replacing a £140+ toothbrush every two years. Cars are more reliable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phillips?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This toothbrush is simply junk. I have had it replaced 5 times and it runs for about 2 weeks normally then it gets intermittent and then stops working. I have had them do MANY odd things like starting when I was in the other room. This is made in China and is truly junk. I have a 10 year old model that my son uses and it still works. They know there is a problem and the fact that they continue to sell it is unscrupulous. They should be ashamed of themselves. I have the Diamond Clean. Don't make the mistake.

Original review: July 22, 2018

So according to a guy on YouTube who shows you how to replace the crappy battery Phillips puts in its toothbrushes, the rechargeable battery they use just stops working after a year. I think I've had my toothbrush less than a year. Anyway, he has a video showing how to replace their awful battery with a lithium ion battery. It requires a soldering iron. Yeah, no thanks. I'll just trash this one (which is sad, because how many of these things are now filling up landfills???) and get a different brand!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I just spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with a supposed supervisor in the South Florida call center (for warranties) - named Jason. I've been trying for a couple of months now to get a replacement for my original handle and am told that it's not available. I've even requested to at least receive a voucher for my original purchase amount so that I could pay the difference and am met with constant refusal. Today's call was the last straw. Jason was rude and unapologetic and told me that there was no one higher than him that I could speak/talk/or communicate with. I will continue to press on to speak with someone else if for no other reason than to elaborate on his unprofessionalism and poor service. This was my first and last Sonicare product (Healthy White). I refuse to give money to or use products manufactured by a company that does not have adequate customer service.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with the customer service rep was pleasant, however it went nowhere. I was informed I may receive a call back in a week. I'm on my second Sonic Care brush. My first one cost approx $200 and lasted for a good amount of time. The second one, was only around $100 and it did not make it six months. Was hoping for a voucher to put towards another purchase, but instead they want to look into it. The brush currently sounds like it's grinding rocks, there's barely any speed to the head and a blackish liquid is discharging.

I'm not waiting for this company to figure themselves out and meanwhile the brush just completely breaks. I will be moving forward with another company/product. Further, while Philips figures out their solution, I will be displaying videos of the faulty product on my IG page (approx 5,000 followers), my YouTube channel and my Facebook (approx 2,000) friends and any other social media I deem fit in order to deter people from purchasing this product. Most of the negative review I read are on point. Bye Felicia.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Airfloss Pro - The product is horrible. I returned it and never received the refund. I also had to pay to send it back. I will never buy anything from Philips again. Worst customer service ever!!!! Don't waste your money!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I was brushing my teeth recently with my Sonicare toothbrush while my 2 yrs old was in the room playing around and fell. I bit down on the toot brush for a brief second to grab him and then released it. The next morning is when I woke up to see my front tooth was chipped and the one next to it had a crack also. The vibration cracked both teeth!! I been trying to reach my dentist all day. I am so upset and devastated.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been using/purchasing Sonicare toothbrushes for decades! I am a dental care professional and used to praise their products however I have had 4 Diamonclean brushes stop working in the same symptomatic fashion recently. They start to vibrate at a high velocity, blowing water all over your face then within 2 weeks just stop working. I tried switching heads, resetting the brush & even switched chargers, nothing stops this decline. One of them even leaked a black ooze that I learned was a lubricant from inside.

Since I am a dental professional and a once advocate of Sonicare quality I contacted Sonicare. Come to find out even though I had 3 toothbrushes all die near the same time I thought Sonicare would “care”! BUT rather they told me that myself & my family must push too hard while brushing! They sent me 1 replacement that they swear is not refurbished and guess what? It’s doing the same thing and just died tonight, only 2 weeks after getting it. At $180 a piece my family is put around $720!!! Just a disgrace!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I owned 3 Sonicares and all FAILED. First brush I purchased in October 2015. A month after, it exploded! See picture. It was not even charging at that time. I called Phillips and asked if they want me to return it so they can investigate but they weren’t interested (probably they already know how frequent this happens). They sent a replacement body. So this is the second brush - stopped charging a year later. Phillips was nice to send a third replacement - that again stopped charging after 3 months. Looking at the reviews, their batteries have a HUGE problem - either it explodes or stops charging. For a $200 toothbrush, that doesn’t seem to be cost-efficient.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My Philips Sonicare Healthy Clean exploded and burned the top of my bathroom vanity. I called the company immediately and was told they would replace the toothbrush, which they did, and make me whole, which they did NOT. They offered to pay for the supplies for a new vanity but I would have to pay for the labor, which was a few hundred dollars. I told them that was a ridiculous policy since it was their brush that exploded and could have caused a fire if I hadn't been home to hear the explosion and pull out the plug.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Called them twice to replace my DiamondClean toothbrush (the 3rd one). Got lectured on how to properly brush my teeth! Seriously?! Your $200 toothbrush breaks every year and you are trying to put the blame on your customers. Philips, you just lost 4 customers all at once!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have returned both of the toothbrushes I bought within 6 months; I asked if the black oil that was coming out of the metal piece where the brush head fits on was dangerous if it got in your mouth. They never answered me. I still want to know if that fluid is dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I recently contacted consumer support for a problem with my Sonicare Toothbrush and I must commend Philips for the fantastic service I received. I purchased my toothbrush from Costco and had no idea how to get warranty on a failed handle assembly. I went to the Sonicare website and was amazed at how fast and professional the service was resolving my issue. 3 days after my initial contact I got my replacement brush handle in the mail. Kudos to Philips for the fast professional service, everyone major company should take lessons!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I bought the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush and was very disappointed. The brush does not rotate, does not go between teeth. All it does is tap the teeth and make a lot of noise. I had food caught between two teeth and the electric toothbrush did nothing. I then used my regular toothbrush and within 3 seconds the food came out. I wish I had bought the Oral brush instead because I'm told it actually rotates and gets the job done. This was a very expensive mistake and I regret this purchase!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have so far had 4 toothbrushes from the Sonicare range in the past 7 years the last being a DiamondClean and every single one without exception has stopped working!! - the 1st 2 were swapped by Philips (purchased together). The 3rd I was told I was out of warranty BUT I could receive a voucher off for my next purchase. The 4th broke at the weekend and surprise surprise I am out of warranty again BUT ALL 4 TOOTH BRUSHES HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUE/FAULT - THEY JUST STOP CHARGING AND WORKING. I have taken great care of my brushes as they are over £100 each but to no avail. I cannot justify another £100 for it to break just outside of the warranty time so am now looking at alternatives makes. Philips were surprised that I have had the same problem 4 times but a quick look on the internet throws up a whole load of customers with the same issues/fault!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had the Sonicare for a few months now but at a Costco those of whom have problems with warranty understand something, if you purchase this product with your credit card the credit card doubles your warranty so even though it is just out of warranty get your receipt, get your credit card reference and turn it into the credit card company. You will be reimbursed. Same thing with renting a car. Your credit card may cover accidents, personal liability for damages on a ran a car provided you charge the car with your credit card. Your credit card can be a very lethal weapon if you know how to use it. I have no problem with Costco, no prob with my Sonicare. It just leaves my teeth in a different state than a brush I have to get used to it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I woke up at 2:00 am to find my bathroom full of smoke and soot. Our Phillips Sonicare Series 2 Essence toothbrush was a puddle of molten plastic and charred batteries on the countertop. Fortunately it was a marble top and didn't catch the house on fire. That was 29 Sept 2017 and Phillips still hasn't settled for the damages.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst customer service ever. Toothbrush stopped vibrating. Philips has been sending items but nothing charges, sends new charger and still nothing. When I call back to confirm stuff no record of previous phone calls. Try and get refund from $250 toothbrush and get told I'm out of 90 days. Do not buy from Philips. Go to Oral-B. Better built and better customer service.

Original review: July 30, 2017

When I tried to remove the old head and replace it with a new one, the old one refuses to budge no matter what I do. I cannot get the old one off and it's not that old. This makes the product a very expensive throw-away.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Purchased this electric toothbrush at Walgreens and shortly after developed a problem with the charger and its ability to charge the battery. Notified Philips and they sent a new charger. That corrected the problem for a month or so, but again found the battery wouldn't charge and the charge light continued to flash, indicating it needed more charging or wasn't charging after 48 hours or so. Fortunately, I saw a brown colored discharge on the handle of the toothbrush, only to find the battery leaked all over the internal tube. Phillips needs to improve the quality of this electric toothbrush. It is unreliable and after they sent me my first charger replacement, they really acted indifferent and didn't want to hear from me again.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Had the top of the line Sonicare brush for just over 2 years and it becomes faulty for no reason just outside of the warranty period. Philips don't want anything to do with it as it's outside the warranty period. Terrible products and terrible service couldn't even offer to repair and for me to pay some towards. I don't expect to pay £150 every 2 years for a toothbrush. I will be complaining whenever I can and I will also let all my friends and family know to stay away from this cheap company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

About a year ago, as a Christmas present, my mother bought me a FlexCare toothbrush from Sonicare. I had no problems with my toothbrush and enjoyed it for the whole time I had it. I felt like the brush did a good job actually cleaning my teeth and gums and I thought the vibrations that marked each 30-second interval were very helpful and forced me to adapt better oral health habits. I used the whitening feature occasionally (not twice daily though) and actually noticed a difference in the color of my teeth (though I also switched my toothpaste as well). The ultraviolet cleaning station (for the brush heads) was also a nice luxury.

Around Christmas time the following year, luckily, within the time span for my warranty, my toothbrush started going off when I wasn't pressing the on button, and would do this at all hours of the night until it lost battery. I called customer service and they readily agreed to send me a new brush. When the new brush arrived, I was surprised to see that it was a black color, though my original brush was white, as was the charging station and my replacement heads. Though this wasn't a significant problem, I was slightly upset and called customer service to see if I could exchange my unused black brush for one in white.

The representative I talked to was extremely nice and very professional. She explained that they were out of stock in my model in the color white and offered to send me an UPGRADED model, the white FlexCare Plus. Sonicare EXCEEDED my expectations not only with their product, but also surprised me with their OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would recommend this product and this company to anyone and everyone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I've been denied my rebate despite documentation and contacting the company (via chat and the (844) 248-9118 number). If you purchase any their Sonicare electric toothbrushes, don't expect assistance, accurate information from their rep, or (if you call the 844-number) an actual human being on the other end of the line.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I have been using an Oral-B electric toothbrush for many years without a problem. When I was out of town visiting family, I used their Sonicare as I forgot to pack a brush. The brush vibrates extremely fast and furious. After a couple days, the last molar which had a crown came off while I was brushing my teeth. Went to the dentist I used when I was living there and he recemented it. Couple days later the molar next to the one with the crown came off (also with a crown) when I was using the Sonicare. When I came home, I showed my dentist and he said the top of the tooth was in the crown and he had to put in a new pin and try to save the crown/molar. Called Costco and relayed the above.

Then I contacted Phillips and told them the brush is too aggressive and it did damage to my teeth. I want them to reimburse me for the damage. Went back and forth with different people over a couple months. Ended up sending the toothbrush back to them as they requested with their return envelope. They never sent me forms to fill out and copies of my receipts for the bills as promised. Of course this is classic runaround avoid dealing with the customer and it will go away. Have not heard a thing since returning the toothbrush. 3 months.

A huge corporation deals with customers from Costco like this? I trust Costco, but where are they to help? This toothbrush is not good if you have crowns, caps, fillings, bridges etc. It's dangerous as I have found out the hard way. I guess Phillips wants to keep this quiet as I think the majority of people have some work on their teeth. If the brush cracks the cement and teeth I pay for the damages. They should pay me. I use Oral-B electric for years no problems. But the first time using Sonicare, it breaks my teeth. Where should I go from here? I feel totally ripped off.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

My wife and I were among the first users of the Sonicare toothbrush. We finally had to replace our brush handle after many years and hundreds of replacement brushes. After less than a year our new handle would not shut off. I contacted Philips. They promptly sent a replacement handle. I returned the original handle. In less than two months the replacement handle stopped working (would not turn on). I called customer service who told me that their "policy" required me to send them the original receipt for my handle before they would replace the faulty replacement they sent to me! I'm surprised they didn't want me to also send the box the original came in! The specific model that stopped working was an HX 5610. They appear to be cheaply made compared with the original brush. It's going into the garbage today and I'm switching to Braun. Fortunately I don't have too many Sonicare brushes left.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I got two boxes of new e9500 sonic toothbrushes. I used one for a more than two years with some problems but I was able to use it until it stopped working. 2nd one I opened it and after 24 hours of charging green light shows as the brush is fully charged. But it will not work at all. I called 1 800 682 7664 and they told me since the toothbrushes were purchased more than two years ago, the warranty does not apply. They should include manufacturing date and expiration date on the box and on the solid packaging container.

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Company Information