1.47/5
Based on 58 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

62 Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been using/purchasing Sonicare toothbrushes for decades! I am a dental care professional and used to praise their products however I have had 4 Diamonclean brushes stop working in the same symptomatic fashion recently. They start to vibrate at a high velocity, blowing water all over your face then within 2 weeks just stop working. I tried switching heads, resetting the brush & even switched chargers, nothing stops this decline. One of them even leaked a black ooze that I learned was a lubricant from inside.

Since I am a dental professional and a once advocate of Sonicare quality I contacted Sonicare. Come to find out even though I had 3 toothbrushes all die near the same time I thought Sonicare would “care”! BUT rather they told me that myself & my family must push too hard while brushing! They sent me 1 replacement that they swear is not refurbished and guess what? It’s doing the same thing and just died tonight, only 2 weeks after getting it. At $180 a piece my family is put around $720!!! Just a disgrace!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I owned 3 Sonicares and all FAILED. First brush I purchased in October 2015. A month after, it exploded! See picture. It was not even charging at that time. I called Phillips and asked if they want me to return it so they can investigate but they weren’t interested (probably they already know how frequent this happens). They sent a replacement body. So this is the second brush - stopped charging a year later. Phillips was nice to send a third replacement - that again stopped charging after 3 months. Looking at the reviews, their batteries have a HUGE problem - either it explodes or stops charging. For a $200 toothbrush, that doesn’t seem to be cost-efficient.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My Philips Sonicare Healthy Clean exploded and burned the top of my bathroom vanity. I called the company immediately and was told they would replace the toothbrush, which they did, and make me whole, which they did NOT. They offered to pay for the supplies for a new vanity but I would have to pay for the labor, which was a few hundred dollars. I told them that was a ridiculous policy since it was their brush that exploded and could have caused a fire if I hadn't been home to hear the explosion and pull out the plug.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Called them twice to replace my DiamondClean toothbrush (the 3rd one). Got lectured on how to properly brush my teeth! Seriously?! Your $200 toothbrush breaks every year and you are trying to put the blame on your customers. Philips, you just lost 4 customers all at once!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have returned both of the toothbrushes I bought within 6 months; I asked if the black oil that was coming out of the metal piece where the brush head fits on was dangerous if it got in your mouth. They never answered me. I still want to know if that fluid is dangerous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phillips?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I recently contacted consumer support for a problem with my Sonicare Toothbrush and I must commend Philips for the fantastic service I received. I purchased my toothbrush from Costco and had no idea how to get warranty on a failed handle assembly. I went to the Sonicare website and was amazed at how fast and professional the service was resolving my issue. 3 days after my initial contact I got my replacement brush handle in the mail. Kudos to Philips for the fast professional service, everyone major company should take lessons!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I bought the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush and was very disappointed. The brush does not rotate, does not go between teeth. All it does is tap the teeth and make a lot of noise. I had food caught between two teeth and the electric toothbrush did nothing. I then used my regular toothbrush and within 3 seconds the food came out. I wish I had bought the Oral brush instead because I'm told it actually rotates and gets the job done. This was a very expensive mistake and I regret this purchase!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have so far had 4 toothbrushes from the Sonicare range in the past 7 years the last being a DiamondClean and every single one without exception has stopped working!! - the 1st 2 were swapped by Philips (purchased together). The 3rd I was told I was out of warranty BUT I could receive a voucher off for my next purchase. The 4th broke at the weekend and surprise surprise I am out of warranty again BUT ALL 4 TOOTH BRUSHES HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUE/FAULT - THEY JUST STOP CHARGING AND WORKING. I have taken great care of my brushes as they are over £100 each but to no avail. I cannot justify another £100 for it to break just outside of the warranty time so am now looking at alternatives makes. Philips were surprised that I have had the same problem 4 times but a quick look on the internet throws up a whole load of customers with the same issues/fault!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had the Sonicare for a few months now but at a Costco those of whom have problems with warranty understand something, if you purchase this product with your credit card the credit card doubles your warranty so even though it is just out of warranty get your receipt, get your credit card reference and turn it into the credit card company. You will be reimbursed. Same thing with renting a car. Your credit card may cover accidents, personal liability for damages on a ran a car provided you charge the car with your credit card. Your credit card can be a very lethal weapon if you know how to use it. I have no problem with Costco, no prob with my Sonicare. It just leaves my teeth in a different state than a brush I have to get used to it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I woke up at 2:00 am to find my bathroom full of smoke and soot. Our Phillips Sonicare Series 2 Essence toothbrush was a puddle of molten plastic and charred batteries on the countertop. Fortunately it was a marble top and didn't catch the house on fire. That was 29 Sept 2017 and Phillips still hasn't settled for the damages.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst customer service ever. Toothbrush stopped vibrating. Philips has been sending items but nothing charges, sends new charger and still nothing. When I call back to confirm stuff no record of previous phone calls. Try and get refund from $250 toothbrush and get told I'm out of 90 days. Do not buy from Philips. Go to Oral-B. Better built and better customer service.

Original review: July 30, 2017

When I tried to remove the old head and replace it with a new one, the old one refuses to budge no matter what I do. I cannot get the old one off and it's not that old. This makes the product a very expensive throw-away.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Purchased this electric toothbrush at Walgreens and shortly after developed a problem with the charger and its ability to charge the battery. Notified Philips and they sent a new charger. That corrected the problem for a month or so, but again found the battery wouldn't charge and the charge light continued to flash, indicating it needed more charging or wasn't charging after 48 hours or so. Fortunately, I saw a brown colored discharge on the handle of the toothbrush, only to find the battery leaked all over the internal tube. Phillips needs to improve the quality of this electric toothbrush. It is unreliable and after they sent me my first charger replacement, they really acted indifferent and didn't want to hear from me again.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Had the top of the line Sonicare brush for just over 2 years and it becomes faulty for no reason just outside of the warranty period. Philips don't want anything to do with it as it's outside the warranty period. Terrible products and terrible service couldn't even offer to repair and for me to pay some towards. I don't expect to pay £150 every 2 years for a toothbrush. I will be complaining whenever I can and I will also let all my friends and family know to stay away from this cheap company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

About a year ago, as a Christmas present, my mother bought me a FlexCare toothbrush from Sonicare. I had no problems with my toothbrush and enjoyed it for the whole time I had it. I felt like the brush did a good job actually cleaning my teeth and gums and I thought the vibrations that marked each 30-second interval were very helpful and forced me to adapt better oral health habits. I used the whitening feature occasionally (not twice daily though) and actually noticed a difference in the color of my teeth (though I also switched my toothpaste as well). The ultraviolet cleaning station (for the brush heads) was also a nice luxury.

Around Christmas time the following year, luckily, within the time span for my warranty, my toothbrush started going off when I wasn't pressing the on button, and would do this at all hours of the night until it lost battery. I called customer service and they readily agreed to send me a new brush. When the new brush arrived, I was surprised to see that it was a black color, though my original brush was white, as was the charging station and my replacement heads. Though this wasn't a significant problem, I was slightly upset and called customer service to see if I could exchange my unused black brush for one in white.

The representative I talked to was extremely nice and very professional. She explained that they were out of stock in my model in the color white and offered to send me an UPGRADED model, the white FlexCare Plus. Sonicare EXCEEDED my expectations not only with their product, but also surprised me with their OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would recommend this product and this company to anyone and everyone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I've been denied my rebate despite documentation and contacting the company (via chat and the (844) 248-9118 number). If you purchase any their Sonicare electric toothbrushes, don't expect assistance, accurate information from their rep, or (if you call the 844-number) an actual human being on the other end of the line.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I have been using an Oral-B electric toothbrush for many years without a problem. When I was out of town visiting family, I used their Sonicare as I forgot to pack a brush. The brush vibrates extremely fast and furious. After a couple days, the last molar which had a crown came off while I was brushing my teeth. Went to the dentist I used when I was living there and he recemented it. Couple days later the molar next to the one with the crown came off (also with a crown) when I was using the Sonicare. When I came home, I showed my dentist and he said the top of the tooth was in the crown and he had to put in a new pin and try to save the crown/molar. Called Costco and relayed the above.

Then I contacted Phillips and told them the brush is too aggressive and it did damage to my teeth. I want them to reimburse me for the damage. Went back and forth with different people over a couple months. Ended up sending the toothbrush back to them as they requested with their return envelope. They never sent me forms to fill out and copies of my receipts for the bills as promised. Of course this is classic runaround avoid dealing with the customer and it will go away. Have not heard a thing since returning the toothbrush. 3 months.

A huge corporation deals with customers from Costco like this? I trust Costco, but where are they to help? This toothbrush is not good if you have crowns, caps, fillings, bridges etc. It's dangerous as I have found out the hard way. I guess Phillips wants to keep this quiet as I think the majority of people have some work on their teeth. If the brush cracks the cement and teeth I pay for the damages. They should pay me. I use Oral-B electric for years no problems. But the first time using Sonicare, it breaks my teeth. Where should I go from here? I feel totally ripped off.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

My wife and I were among the first users of the Sonicare toothbrush. We finally had to replace our brush handle after many years and hundreds of replacement brushes. After less than a year our new handle would not shut off. I contacted Philips. They promptly sent a replacement handle. I returned the original handle. In less than two months the replacement handle stopped working (would not turn on). I called customer service who told me that their "policy" required me to send them the original receipt for my handle before they would replace the faulty replacement they sent to me! I'm surprised they didn't want me to also send the box the original came in! The specific model that stopped working was an HX 5610. They appear to be cheaply made compared with the original brush. It's going into the garbage today and I'm switching to Braun. Fortunately I don't have too many Sonicare brushes left.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I got two boxes of new e9500 sonic toothbrushes. I used one for a more than two years with some problems but I was able to use it until it stopped working. 2nd one I opened it and after 24 hours of charging green light shows as the brush is fully charged. But it will not work at all. I called 1 800 682 7664 and they told me since the toothbrushes were purchased more than two years ago, the warranty does not apply. They should include manufacturing date and expiration date on the box and on the solid packaging container.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016 Just bought new boxed Philips Sonicare Model HX6632/21 New in Box. We've owned this style of electric brush from Sonicare from day one! Back in day they were made excellent. Made with weight and vibration sound was quiet. Now they're junk and so cheaply made! Made in Mexico. Composite material is the Worst!

So lightweight... Brush set keeps falling off the base. Barely touch it and it turns over. I will NEVER PURCHASE SONICARE AGAIN! Lost the quality, sound of vibrating handle is beyond annoying and distracting. Early in morning my head is filled with plastic loud vibration rattle. Company needs to regroup find a better set of designs and quality parts to assemble the brush sets. HORRIBLE, CHEAP AND BEYOND DISAPPOINTING FOR HIGH COST!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I have now had two of the Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes and both have failed with in my opinion with very little use. The first one HX67110609C was used probably for about 4-6 months (estimated use if I had used it every day, but actually used infrequently). The second one HX6710 110316 was used only about a 2-3 months. Estimated the same way as above. In both cases, the same part of the toothbrush failed due in my opinion to very cheap pot metal used in the construction of the top metal piece that attaches to the rest of the brush with a small screw. Philips should be ashamed in making and selling such cheaply made devices. I will try to find the receipt but it should be at least a year old.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

I bought this item having no idea when it came time to replace the brushes- which they recommend doing every three months, that the replacement pieces of plastic are $29.00 for a pack of three!!! Really? WTF. I think that takes first prize in the biggest consumer rip-off of all time. I used to think razor blades were overpriced, but this is just plain unfettered gouging.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I just got off a "chat" with customer service with Sonicare. It was truly unbelievable what a circuitous route their person took me through. First I wanted to buy the brush. Second I wanted to buy extra brush heads. After at least 15 minutes, he just gave me "links" to things and never really helped me. It was almost like he did NOT want me to buy anything. There was NO email to complain to. If I would have THIS MUCH trouble buying the brush, I can only imagine what would happen if the product broke or I needed assistance. I finally just got off the "chat" as he was obviously skilled at giving me a complete and thorough run-around with no real answers. AND, I never really found out why they would only sell me the toothbrush with ONE brush!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I am one of those customers who had a Sonicare replaced when mine stopped working. Well within a year and a half all of a sudden mine goes on by itself. I called Phillips and basically they said, "Tough luck we do not warranty replacement products." I will never purchase another Phillips product.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I purchased a Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush handle. I purchased the handle at a reputable online retailer - the biggest in the nation ;) and checked the warranty on the retail website and the site referenced the Philips website which I reviewed and states that all toothbrushes come with a 2 year warranty. The toothbrush handle turned on (on its own) in the middle of the night and it wouldn't shut off no matter how many times I pressed the button. This happened within the first two years and Philips refuses to replace the toothbrush handle and stated in an email their warranty only covers the full box set. This is ridiculous as I only needed the handle as the original accessories I had were still operational.

The original toothbrush failed and was out of warranty so I only needed the handle, which is sold online by Sonicare and the warranty references them a 2 year warranty on all toothbrushes. I read every piece of documentation stating the same and politely asked Philips to send me evidence that the toothbrush handle is excluded from the printed warranty. Philips has not replied to my three requests for information.

Original review: July 13, 2016

Three brush heads from a package of six were defective. The end piece on the replacement heads that snap onto the brush handle came out. I offered to send the defective replacement heads to Sonicare so they could see for themselves what the failure was and perhaps track those heads back to a particular manufacturer. They were not interested in seeing the heads and because I do not have the receipt for when the heads were purchased, could offer me no resolution. A fifty-percent failure of a product is unacceptable and yet they offer no recourse.

Original review: May 21, 2016

WOW, what a rip-off this company is! Got their toothbrush and I do like it. BUT a rebate was offered and I do expect 4-6 weeks in processing. However today is 5/21 and my rebate was approved on 3/29! I tried emailing via the rebate tracking number. It said unavailable. SO went to their site to ask for help in tracking my lousy rebate. The rep gave me a phone number to call. I told them I'm hearing impaired and thanks for no help. The REP ended the chat! BUYER beware! This company had zero support! The number I entered is for my rebate tracking. My dentist ordered this and automatically entered it on my bill! SO have no order tracking number.

Original review: April 28, 2016

After less than two months of use, my brush head became so loose, I could no longer use the toothbrush. I called Philips and found they only guarantee the brush heads for 30 days. This tells me that they are aware they are selling an inferior product. I have found lots of complaints about this in various places on the Internet. Interestingly enough, there is no way you can post a complaint on their website. I know a lot of people read the Consumer Affairs reviews. This is my attempt to prevent someone else from having the experience I had.

Original review: April 11, 2016

December 2014, I bought a Sonicare Air Flosser for my husband for Christmas. July 2015, it began malfunctioning and then altogether quit working. I used the chat feature for Sonicare to inform them of it. I had registered the unit just after Christmas, so it was under warranty. I was emailed shipping instructions and a new (I think it was a refurbished one) one was sent to me. I repackaged the bad unit in the box the other one came in. All good so far.

This week (April 11), the replacement started doing the same thing: auto-blasting and not turning off unless it is placed on the base. The darned thing shot him in the eye!!! Again, I went online and chatted with an agent about the problem. This time, I'm to receive shipping instructions to send it back. The reason I contacted them was because there is an inherent DESIGN FLAW they need to fix that could potentially injure someone! Obviously, that problem hasn't been fixed. They ask if the unit is stored for a period of time with liquid in the reservoir! Isn't that what the unit is DESIGNED TO DO? Well, it is clear Sonicare doesn't back up their products like they should. I will let my dentist know that the air flosser he's promoting has problems and I won't be buying a flosser from Sonicare again. When I get the shipping instructions, I'll be sending the unit back to them but to their corporate folks.

Original review: March 30, 2016

On July 2015 I purchased a set of two Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes. On January 2016 they started turning themselves on on their own, at several different hours of the day. At first it seemed strange so I went up online to see if others have had the same problem. It turns out, many, many people have had the same problem with these Sonicare brushes.

On February, I decided to file a claim with Philips. I went to their website to send them an e-mail and, curious enough, they have no e-mail for customer service. Only phone or chat. I tried the chat and spoke with someone that said Philips would send replacements only after verifying proof of purchase. Since it had been a while, I had to drive to Costco to get a copy of the invoice. I scanned it and sent it to the e-mail address provided by the rep on the chat, which not coincidentally, belongs to Sitel which is a third-party customer service company.

I never got a reply (not to this day) and I had to call back at least three times. I was told on the phone that the brushes sold at Costco, being a double set, were approved on a different criteria so they said my case was "escalated" but again, I never received correspondence, calls or any other means of confirmation or follow-up.

After two months of waiting I decided to simply switch brands so I purchased two new brushes from another company. Two months I waited. Mind you, if you go to their website (http://www.usa.philips.com) you'll see there's no e-mail for support or warranty claims and the reason is, they hired these people at Sitel to do it for them and frankly, leaving a customer waiting two months for TOOTHBRUSHES don't speak very high of their practices. I don't even want my money back. I simply won't purchase Philips products anymore and I will encourage everyone I know to do so.

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Company Information