1.40/5
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 30, 2017

52 Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst customer service ever. Toothbrush stopped vibrating. Philips has been sending items but nothing charges, sends new charger and still nothing. When I call back to confirm stuff no record of previous phone calls. Try and get refund from $250 toothbrush and get told I'm out of 90 days. Do not buy from Philips. Go to Oral-B. Better built and better customer service.

Original review: July 30, 2017

When I tried to remove the old head and replace it with a new one, the old one refuses to budge no matter what I do. I cannot get the old one off and it's not that old. This makes the product a very expensive throw-away.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 30, 2017

Purchased this electric toothbrush at Walgreens and shortly after developed a problem with the charger and its ability to charge the battery. Notified Philips and they sent a new charger. That corrected the problem for a month or so, but again found the battery wouldn't charge and the charge light continued to flash, indicating it needed more charging or wasn't charging after 48 hours or so. Fortunately, I saw a brown colored discharge on the handle of the toothbrush, only to find the battery leaked all over the internal tube. Phillips needs to improve the quality of this electric toothbrush. It is unreliable and after they sent me my first charger replacement, they really acted indifferent and didn't want to hear from me again.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Had the top of the line Sonicare brush for just over 2 years and it becomes faulty for no reason just outside of the warranty period. Philips don't want anything to do with it as it's outside the warranty period. Terrible products and terrible service couldn't even offer to repair and for me to pay some towards. I don't expect to pay £150 every 2 years for a toothbrush. I will be complaining whenever I can and I will also let all my friends and family know to stay away from this cheap company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

About a year ago, as a Christmas present, my mother bought me a FlexCare toothbrush from Sonicare. I had no problems with my toothbrush and enjoyed it for the whole time I had it. I felt like the brush did a good job actually cleaning my teeth and gums and I thought the vibrations that marked each 30-second interval were very helpful and forced me to adapt better oral health habits. I used the whitening feature occasionally (not twice daily though) and actually noticed a difference in the color of my teeth (though I also switched my toothpaste as well). The ultraviolet cleaning station (for the brush heads) was also a nice luxury.

Around Christmas time the following year, luckily, within the time span for my warranty, my toothbrush started going off when I wasn't pressing the on button, and would do this at all hours of the night until it lost battery. I called customer service and they readily agreed to send me a new brush. When the new brush arrived, I was surprised to see that it was a black color, though my original brush was white, as was the charging station and my replacement heads. Though this wasn't a significant problem, I was slightly upset and called customer service to see if I could exchange my unused black brush for one in white.

The representative I talked to was extremely nice and very professional. She explained that they were out of stock in my model in the color white and offered to send me an UPGRADED model, the white FlexCare Plus. Sonicare EXCEEDED my expectations not only with their product, but also surprised me with their OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE. I would recommend this product and this company to anyone and everyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phillips?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I've been denied my rebate despite documentation and contacting the company (via chat and the (844) 248-9118 number). If you purchase any their Sonicare electric toothbrushes, don't expect assistance, accurate information from their rep, or (if you call the 844-number) an actual human being on the other end of the line.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I have been using an Oral-B electric toothbrush for many years without a problem. When I was out of town visiting family, I used their Sonicare as I forgot to pack a brush. The brush vibrates extremely fast and furious. After a couple days, the last molar which had a crown came off while I was brushing my teeth. Went to the dentist I used when I was living there and he recemented it. Couple days later the molar next to the one with the crown came off (also with a crown) when I was using the Sonicare. When I came home, I showed my dentist and he said the top of the tooth was in the crown and he had to put in a new pin and try to save the crown/molar. Called Costco and relayed the above.

Then I contacted Phillips and told them the brush is too aggressive and it did damage to my teeth. I want them to reimburse me for the damage. Went back and forth with different people over a couple months. Ended up sending the toothbrush back to them as they requested with their return envelope. They never sent me forms to fill out and copies of my receipts for the bills as promised. Of course this is classic runaround avoid dealing with the customer and it will go away. Have not heard a thing since returning the toothbrush. 3 months.

A huge corporation deals with customers from Costco like this? I trust Costco, but where are they to help? This toothbrush is not good if you have crowns, caps, fillings, bridges etc. It's dangerous as I have found out the hard way. I guess Phillips wants to keep this quiet as I think the majority of people have some work on their teeth. If the brush cracks the cement and teeth I pay for the damages. They should pay me. I use Oral-B electric for years no problems. But the first time using Sonicare, it breaks my teeth. Where should I go from here? I feel totally ripped off.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

My wife and I were among the first users of the Sonicare toothbrush. We finally had to replace our brush handle after many years and hundreds of replacement brushes. After less than a year our new handle would not shut off. I contacted Philips. They promptly sent a replacement handle. I returned the original handle. In less than two months the replacement handle stopped working (would not turn on). I called customer service who told me that their "policy" required me to send them the original receipt for my handle before they would replace the faulty replacement they sent to me! I'm surprised they didn't want me to also send the box the original came in! The specific model that stopped working was an HX 5610. They appear to be cheaply made compared with the original brush. It's going into the garbage today and I'm switching to Braun. Fortunately I don't have too many Sonicare brushes left.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I got two boxes of new e9500 sonic toothbrushes. I used one for a more than two years with some problems but I was able to use it until it stopped working. 2nd one I opened it and after 24 hours of charging green light shows as the brush is fully charged. But it will not work at all. I called 1 800 682 7664 and they told me since the toothbrushes were purchased more than two years ago, the warranty does not apply. They should include manufacturing date and expiration date on the box and on the solid packaging container.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016
    Just bought new boxed Philips Sonicare Model HX6632/21 New in Box. We've owned this style of electric brush from Sonicare from day one! Back in day they were made excellent. Made with weight and vibration sound was quiet. Now they're junk and so cheaply made! Made in Mexico. Composite material is the Worst!

So lightweight... Brush set keeps falling off the base. Barely touch it and it turns over. I will NEVER PURCHASE SONICARE AGAIN! Lost the quality, sound of vibrating handle is beyond annoying and distracting. Early in morning my head is filled with plastic loud vibration rattle. Company needs to regroup find a better set of designs and quality parts to assemble the brush sets. HORRIBLE, CHEAP AND BEYOND DISAPPOINTING FOR HIGH COST!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I have now had two of the Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes and both have failed with in my opinion with very little use. The first one HX67110609C was used probably for about 4-6 months (estimated use if I had used it every day, but actually used infrequently). The second one HX6710 110316 was used only about a 2-3 months. Estimated the same way as above. In both cases, the same part of the toothbrush failed due in my opinion to very cheap pot metal used in the construction of the top metal piece that attaches to the rest of the brush with a small screw. Philips should be ashamed in making and selling such cheaply made devices. I will try to find the receipt but it should be at least a year old.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

I bought this item having no idea when it came time to replace the brushes- which they recommend doing every three months, that the replacement pieces of plastic are $29.00 for a pack of three!!! Really? WTF. I think that takes first prize in the biggest consumer rip-off of all time. I used to think razor blades were overpriced, but this is just plain unfettered gouging.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I just got off a "chat" with customer service with Sonicare. It was truly unbelievable what a circuitous route their person took me through. First I wanted to buy the brush. Second I wanted to buy extra brush heads. After at least 15 minutes, he just gave me "links" to things and never really helped me. It was almost like he did NOT want me to buy anything. There was NO email to complain to. If I would have THIS MUCH trouble buying the brush, I can only imagine what would happen if the product broke or I needed assistance. I finally just got off the "chat" as he was obviously skilled at giving me a complete and thorough run-around with no real answers. AND, I never really found out why they would only sell me the toothbrush with ONE brush!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I am one of those customers who had a Sonicare replaced when mine stopped working. Well within a year and a half all of a sudden mine goes on by itself. I called Phillips and basically they said, "Tough luck we do not warranty replacement products." I will never purchase another Phillips product.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I purchased a Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush handle. I purchased the handle at a reputable online retailer - the biggest in the nation ;) and checked the warranty on the retail website and the site referenced the Philips website which I reviewed and states that all toothbrushes come with a 2 year warranty. The toothbrush handle turned on (on its own) in the middle of the night and it wouldn't shut off no matter how many times I pressed the button. This happened within the first two years and Philips refuses to replace the toothbrush handle and stated in an email their warranty only covers the full box set. This is ridiculous as I only needed the handle as the original accessories I had were still operational.

The original toothbrush failed and was out of warranty so I only needed the handle, which is sold online by Sonicare and the warranty references them a 2 year warranty on all toothbrushes. I read every piece of documentation stating the same and politely asked Philips to send me evidence that the toothbrush handle is excluded from the printed warranty. Philips has not replied to my three requests for information.

Original review: July 13, 2016

Three brush heads from a package of six were defective. The end piece on the replacement heads that snap onto the brush handle came out. I offered to send the defective replacement heads to Sonicare so they could see for themselves what the failure was and perhaps track those heads back to a particular manufacturer. They were not interested in seeing the heads and because I do not have the receipt for when the heads were purchased, could offer me no resolution. A fifty-percent failure of a product is unacceptable and yet they offer no recourse.

Original review: May 21, 2016

WOW, what a rip-off this company is! Got their toothbrush and I do like it. BUT a rebate was offered and I do expect 4-6 weeks in processing. However today is 5/21 and my rebate was approved on 3/29! I tried emailing via the rebate tracking number. It said unavailable. SO went to their site to ask for help in tracking my lousy rebate. The rep gave me a phone number to call. I told them I'm hearing impaired and thanks for no help. The REP ended the chat! BUYER beware! This company had zero support! The number I entered is for my rebate tracking. My dentist ordered this and automatically entered it on my bill! SO have no order tracking number.

Original review: April 28, 2016

After less than two months of use, my brush head became so loose, I could no longer use the toothbrush. I called Philips and found they only guarantee the brush heads for 30 days. This tells me that they are aware they are selling an inferior product. I have found lots of complaints about this in various places on the Internet. Interestingly enough, there is no way you can post a complaint on their website. I know a lot of people read the Consumer Affairs reviews. This is my attempt to prevent someone else from having the experience I had.

Original review: April 11, 2016

December 2014, I bought a Sonicare Air Flosser for my husband for Christmas. July 2015, it began malfunctioning and then altogether quit working. I used the chat feature for Sonicare to inform them of it. I had registered the unit just after Christmas, so it was under warranty. I was emailed shipping instructions and a new (I think it was a refurbished one) one was sent to me. I repackaged the bad unit in the box the other one came in. All good so far.

This week (April 11), the replacement started doing the same thing: auto-blasting and not turning off unless it is placed on the base. The darned thing shot him in the eye!!! Again, I went online and chatted with an agent about the problem. This time, I'm to receive shipping instructions to send it back. The reason I contacted them was because there is an inherent DESIGN FLAW they need to fix that could potentially injure someone! Obviously, that problem hasn't been fixed. They ask if the unit is stored for a period of time with liquid in the reservoir! Isn't that what the unit is DESIGNED TO DO? Well, it is clear Sonicare doesn't back up their products like they should. I will let my dentist know that the air flosser he's promoting has problems and I won't be buying a flosser from Sonicare again. When I get the shipping instructions, I'll be sending the unit back to them but to their corporate folks.

Original review: March 30, 2016

On July 2015 I purchased a set of two Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes. On January 2016 they started turning themselves on on their own, at several different hours of the day. At first it seemed strange so I went up online to see if others have had the same problem. It turns out, many, many people have had the same problem with these Sonicare brushes.

On February, I decided to file a claim with Philips. I went to their website to send them an e-mail and, curious enough, they have no e-mail for customer service. Only phone or chat. I tried the chat and spoke with someone that said Philips would send replacements only after verifying proof of purchase. Since it had been a while, I had to drive to Costco to get a copy of the invoice. I scanned it and sent it to the e-mail address provided by the rep on the chat, which not coincidentally, belongs to Sitel which is a third-party customer service company.

I never got a reply (not to this day) and I had to call back at least three times. I was told on the phone that the brushes sold at Costco, being a double set, were approved on a different criteria so they said my case was "escalated" but again, I never received correspondence, calls or any other means of confirmation or follow-up.

After two months of waiting I decided to simply switch brands so I purchased two new brushes from another company. Two months I waited. Mind you, if you go to their website (http://www.usa.philips.com) you'll see there's no e-mail for support or warranty claims and the reason is, they hired these people at Sitel to do it for them and frankly, leaving a customer waiting two months for TOOTHBRUSHES don't speak very high of their practices. I don't even want my money back. I simply won't purchase Philips products anymore and I will encourage everyone I know to do so.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I purchased my first Sonicare in October of 2015 and it lasted 2 months before it wouldn't work any longer. I contacted Philips and sent them the information they requested and they asked me to try a few options at home to see if it works. When I contacted them after testing their procedures I told the person on the phone that it didn't work, so they sent me a replacement and I returned the one that didn't work.

The replacement they sent lasted 1 month before it stopped working, so I called again and I spoke with a representative and he took my information and told me to try another test on the product. He told me to put extremely hot water into the reservoir and click the button 50 times as quickly as I can to see if that works. He said if it didn't work call back and they'll send a replacement for the replacement.

I called today, 4/14/16, and spoke with a different representative and he indicated he can't send a replacement with the original receipt and until he can have me test the product with him on the phone. I sent the original receipt when the original product and I don't have the receipt any longer. His position is without the receipt he can't replace the replacement. My experience with this rep was totally frustrating. Neither of the other reps I spoke with gave me a hard time as he did. So now without the receipt I stuck with a very bad product and advise those who is thinking about purchasing this try a different manufacturer. My advice to all pr.

Original review: March 5, 2016

So very disappointing & upset that this toothbrush broke. The toothbrush head moves 360 degrees - rather than securely fit to the handle & feels like it's going to fall off into my mouth if I try to brush my teeth with this brush. I called their customer service today and explained that I had bought 2 brushes for my husband & myself (I still have the receipt) less than 3 years ago. My husband's brush still works fine, but mine clearly had a flaw & is inoperable. Additionally, I just bought a 6-pack refill for the toothbrushes - of which, I can't use now! So had I filled out the registration, they would have replaced my toothbrush up to 2.5 years.

Well, like any "warranty" it's 2.8 years & they will only give me 15% coupon code - to buy only on their website. I spent $313.80 (for 2 Sonicare Diamond Tooth Brushes before tax), plus a few rounds of 6-pack refill brushes over the 2 years & now my best option is to pay ANOTHER $186.99 (15% OFF their website via coupon code they provided me). Adding that up - If I were to buy ANOTHER TOOTHBRUSH... I'm at $500.79 for toothbrushes (plus 6-pack refills I've bought along the way). It just really doesn't seem right to have to buy another toothbrush in a short time. 5 years, mmm... ok - wouldn't be complaining but when Phillips clearly covers a toothbrush up to 2.5 years & I'm at 2.8 years. Ridiculous.

I'm not forking over more money when I'm in fear that the toothbrush is going to break in another 2 years & I'm having to buy another one. This experience (the broken tooth brush & the "support" care line) has negatively impacted my opinion on the Phillips brand named products & I will certainly not have the confidence to buy any products with the Phillips branded name attached to it. Buyers beware. Very Disappointing Experience.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I purchased this about 2 1/2 years ago and it was expensive -- $200. This past week there has been trouble with the on/off button on the handle. I called customer service and they said "It is out of warranty. We can give you a 15% off coupon (this is really low) or you can purchase a new handle on Amazon for $98." However, the model on Amazon is not the very same nor of the same quality and most reviews said that the handle stopped working in a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Also, I believe this handle does not have the same warranty as the original. For this reason, I won't be purchasing a Sonicare; I will instead purchase an Oral B.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

We purchased 2 Sonicare toothbrushes from Costco and have been happy with the performance. After a little less than 2 years, they literally both died in the same week. Called Sonicare, they said they would be happy to replace them if I can show proof of purchase of less than 2 years. Thank goodness, you can go to Costco and search past purchases. I was able to get a copy of the receipt and I emailed it to Philips. That was close to a month ago (1/12/2016), they have yet to mail out replacements.

I have called several times, they said that everything is approved, they are just waiting on their "specialty department" to ship them out. They have no idea when they will do that. I have called Sonicare again today and spoke to a rep Stephanie who was said there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she came back on the line 20 minutes later and said she would redo my order and make sure that they are sent out this week 2-day shipping. We will see if that happens... seriously!?! Why all the fuss with getting replacement toothbrushes sent.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

When I took it apart to clean the inside was filled with black mold. The inside of the head was also filled with black mold. I looked at charging base and it too had signs of mold. I called and spoke with a representative at Sonicare. They were not helpful or interested in the problem.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

My HX9340 DiamondClean Toothbrush cost over $219+ shipping, not to mention the head replacements are crap. It is 2 years old, they will not even repair it. They are offering a 15% discount for me to spend over $219 again, with no option to repair. I would not purchase another item from them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I bought my Sonicare toothbrush around 2012, and was very happy with its performance, so was my dentist. After about two years I started having sores around my tongue, and inner side of the cheeks. I thought they were cold sores. Also I noticed that I started to bite my tongue and cheek during chewing. In 2015 I also started getting pains in the palm of my right hand similar to those ascribed to carpal tunnel syndrome. My initial conclusion was that these are due to old age (present age 68) and there is nothing that I can do about them. But the hand problems got worse few months ago (late 2015).

Just as a precaution I stopped using the Sonicare brush about a month ago. Since then all the problems eased quickly and now I don't have any problems. I just want to report this hoping that this news will help someone else. (Now I am back to regular mechanical rotary brush and I am happy with it. I do take regular medication for Cholesterol control.)

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I first bought an HX6950 after my last one got too funky/old (it lasted about 8 years). It lasted for 1.5 years and then stopped. I went on Sonicare's chat page and they kindly offered to replace it since it was still under warranty. Exactly 2 years and 1 month later, the second one died. I thought with a 2 year warranty, they might let the one month slip, but discovered on the chat page that the warranty does not apply to their replacement anyway! So they could send you something defective and it's your problem! These are $100 for just a handle replacement on Amazon! I'm not hard on a toothbrush (obviously, you can see the first one lasted a long time) so I suspect this overpriced unit is poorly constructed or defective. Not much recourse, though, is there? I'm going to the dentist on Monday and will look into other options.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I tried to e-mail the company with my complaints to no avail. They only have a "chat" feature. I have been a Sonicare user since before Phillips bought the company. I wrote a review of their product recently and it was rejected (As a note, I followed the guidelines). The company recently switched their replacement heads to the "Diamond Clean". It is the only head available for sale at my dental office. The office has tried and cannot get the older head to sell. I was a dental hygienist for 26 years and highly recommended their product up until recently.

The newer head does not clean as well as the older "Pro result" head. The brushes and replacement heads are cheaply made compared to the older versions and much smaller. I would have thought the company would be interested in a professional opinion. Perhaps when they start losing market share, they will start to listen. I did suggest I would now consider a competitor's product because of their latest "advances". Maybe that was why it was rejected by their website. Hey Phillips! - consumers are not that easily fooled. Note: the older heads are still available online, but it is sad that they have ruined a great product as well as customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

About 6-7 months ago I noticed a slimy fungus growing inside the recessed part of the handle where the head fits in with the brush. I cleaned it with peroxide and let it dry before using it again. Well, it happened again. I repeated this process 3-4 times before giving up and going to a traditional toothbrush. I also noticed a swelling in my face at the site of a recent dental implant. I've been to 3 dental specialists and an ENT, plastic surgeon and dermatologist. None of them could explain the idiopathic edema at this focal site. I began to wonder if the black fungus from the Sonicare was responsible for this swelling.

I'm now going to take the crown off and take oral medication to see if the swelling will subside. If that doesn't work then I have to go through the process of removing the implant. Thankfully there is no pain, just the typical questions like, do you chew tobacco? Did you have stroke? What's going on with your face? Maybe Sonicare knows more about this than just replacing my handle, which they did because this is not the first complaint. The toothbrush experience was disgusting and hopefully my asymmetrical face will return to normal. Thanks Sonicare!

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Company Information