Philips Sonicare Toothbrush

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I got two boxes of new e9500 sonic toothbrushes. I used one for a more than two years with some problems but I was able to use it until it stopped working. 2nd one I opened it and after 24 hours of charging green light shows as the brush is fully charged. But it will not work at all. I called 1 800 682 7664 and they told me since the toothbrushes were purchased more than two years ago, the warranty does not apply. They should include manufacturing date and expiration date on the box and on the solid packaging container.

Just bought new boxed Philips Sonicare Model HX6632/21 New in Box. We've owned this style of electric brush from Sonicare from day one! Back in day they were made excellent. Made with weight and vibration sound was quiet. Now they're junk and so cheaply made! Made in Mexico. Composite material is the Worst!

So lightweight... Brush set keeps falling off the base. Barely touch it and it turns over. I will NEVER PURCHASE SONICARE AGAIN! Lost the quality, sound of vibrating handle is beyond annoying and distracting. Early in morning my head is filled with plastic loud vibration rattle. Company needs to regroup find a better set of designs and quality parts to assemble the brush sets. HORRIBLE, CHEAP AND BEYOND DISAPPOINTING FOR HIGH COST!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

I have now had two of the Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes and both have failed with in my opinion with very little use. The first one HX67110609C was used probably for about 4-6 months (estimated use if I had used it every day, but actually used infrequently). The second one HX6710 110316 was used only about a 2-3 months. Estimated the same way as above. In both cases, the same part of the toothbrush failed due in my opinion to very cheap pot metal used in the construction of the top metal piece that attaches to the rest of the brush with a small screw. Philips should be ashamed in making and selling such cheaply made devices. I will try to find the receipt but it should be at least a year old.

I bought this item having no idea when it came time to replace the brushes- which they recommend doing every three months, that the replacement pieces of plastic are $29.00 for a pack of three!!! Really? WTF. I think that takes first prize in the biggest consumer rip-off of all time. I used to think razor blades were overpriced, but this is just plain unfettered gouging.

I just got off a "chat" with customer service with Sonicare. It was truly unbelievable what a circuitous route their person took me through. First I wanted to buy the brush. Second I wanted to buy extra brush heads. After at least 15 minutes, he just gave me "links" to things and never really helped me. It was almost like he did NOT want me to buy anything. There was NO email to complain to. If I would have THIS MUCH trouble buying the brush, I can only imagine what would happen if the product broke or I needed assistance. I finally just got off the "chat" as he was obviously skilled at giving me a complete and thorough run-around with no real answers. AND, I never really found out why they would only sell me the toothbrush with ONE brush!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Phillips?

I am one of those customers who had a Sonicare replaced when mine stopped working. Well within a year and a half all of a sudden mine goes on by itself. I called Phillips and basically they said, "Tough luck we do not warranty replacement products." I will never purchase another Phillips product.

I purchased a Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush handle. I purchased the handle at a reputable online retailer - the biggest in the nation ;) and checked the warranty on the retail website and the site referenced the Philips website which I reviewed and states that all toothbrushes come with a 2 year warranty. The toothbrush handle turned on (on its own) in the middle of the night and it wouldn't shut off no matter how many times I pressed the button. This happened within the first two years and Philips refuses to replace the toothbrush handle and stated in an email their warranty only covers the full box set. This is ridiculous as I only needed the handle as the original accessories I had were still operational.

The original toothbrush failed and was out of warranty so I only needed the handle, which is sold online by Sonicare and the warranty references them a 2 year warranty on all toothbrushes. I read every piece of documentation stating the same and politely asked Philips to send me evidence that the toothbrush handle is excluded from the printed warranty. Philips has not replied to my three requests for information.

Three brush heads from a package of six were defective. The end piece on the replacement heads that snap onto the brush handle came out. I offered to send the defective replacement heads to Sonicare so they could see for themselves what the failure was and perhaps track those heads back to a particular manufacturer. They were not interested in seeing the heads and because I do not have the receipt for when the heads were purchased, could offer me no resolution. A fifty-percent failure of a product is unacceptable and yet they offer no recourse.

WOW, what a rip-off this company is! Got their toothbrush and I do like it. BUT a rebate was offered and I do expect 4-6 weeks in processing. However today is 5/21 and my rebate was approved on 3/29! I tried emailing via the rebate tracking number. It said unavailable. SO went to their site to ask for help in tracking my lousy rebate. The rep gave me a phone number to call. I told them I'm hearing impaired and thanks for no help. The REP ended the chat! BUYER beware! This company had zero support! The number I entered is for my rebate tracking. My dentist ordered this and automatically entered it on my bill! SO have no order tracking number.

After less than two months of use, my brush head became so loose, I could no longer use the toothbrush. I called Philips and found they only guarantee the brush heads for 30 days. This tells me that they are aware they are selling an inferior product. I have found lots of complaints about this in various places on the Internet. Interestingly enough, there is no way you can post a complaint on their website. I know a lot of people read the Consumer Affairs reviews. This is my attempt to prevent someone else from having the experience I had.

December 2014, I bought a Sonicare Air Flosser for my husband for Christmas. July 2015, it began malfunctioning and then altogether quit working. I used the chat feature for Sonicare to inform them of it. I had registered the unit just after Christmas, so it was under warranty. I was emailed shipping instructions and a new (I think it was a refurbished one) one was sent to me. I repackaged the bad unit in the box the other one came in. All good so far.

This week (April 11), the replacement started doing the same thing: auto-blasting and not turning off unless it is placed on the base. The darned thing shot him in the eye!!! Again, I went online and chatted with an agent about the problem. This time, I'm to receive shipping instructions to send it back. The reason I contacted them was because there is an inherent DESIGN FLAW they need to fix that could potentially injure someone! Obviously, that problem hasn't been fixed. They ask if the unit is stored for a period of time with liquid in the reservoir! Isn't that what the unit is DESIGNED TO DO? Well, it is clear Sonicare doesn't back up their products like they should. I will let my dentist know that the air flosser he's promoting has problems and I won't be buying a flosser from Sonicare again. When I get the shipping instructions, I'll be sending the unit back to them but to their corporate folks.

On July 2015 I purchased a set of two Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes. On January 2016 they started turning themselves on on their own, at several different hours of the day. At first it seemed strange so I went up online to see if others have had the same problem. It turns out, many, many people have had the same problem with these Sonicare brushes.

On February, I decided to file a claim with Philips. I went to their website to send them an e-mail and, curious enough, they have no e-mail for customer service. Only phone or chat. I tried the chat and spoke with someone that said Philips would send replacements only after verifying proof of purchase. Since it had been a while, I had to drive to Costco to get a copy of the invoice. I scanned it and sent it to the e-mail address provided by the rep on the chat, which not coincidentally, belongs to Sitel which is a third-party customer service company.

I never got a reply (not to this day) and I had to call back at least three times. I was told on the phone that the brushes sold at Costco, being a double set, were approved on a different criteria so they said my case was "escalated" but again, I never received correspondence, calls or any other means of confirmation or follow-up.

After two months of waiting I decided to simply switch brands so I purchased two new brushes from another company. Two months I waited. Mind you, if you go to their website (http://www.usa.philips.com) you'll see there's no e-mail for support or warranty claims and the reason is, they hired these people at Sitel to do it for them and frankly, leaving a customer waiting two months for TOOTHBRUSHES don't speak very high of their practices. I don't even want my money back. I simply won't purchase Philips products anymore and I will encourage everyone I know to do so.

I purchased my first Sonicare in October of 2015 and it lasted 2 months before it wouldn't work any longer. I contacted Philips and sent them the information they requested and they asked me to try a few options at home to see if it works. When I contacted them after testing their procedures I told the person on the phone that it didn't work, so they sent me a replacement and I returned the one that didn't work.

The replacement they sent lasted 1 month before it stopped working, so I called again and I spoke with a representative and he took my information and told me to try another test on the product. He told me to put extremely hot water into the reservoir and click the button 50 times as quickly as I can to see if that works. He said if it didn't work call back and they'll send a replacement for the replacement.

I called today, 4/14/16, and spoke with a different representative and he indicated he can't send a replacement with the original receipt and until he can have me test the product with him on the phone. I sent the original receipt when the original product and I don't have the receipt any longer. His position is without the receipt he can't replace the replacement. My experience with this rep was totally frustrating. Neither of the other reps I spoke with gave me a hard time as he did. So now without the receipt I stuck with a very bad product and advise those who is thinking about purchasing this try a different manufacturer. My advice to all pr.

So very disappointing & upset that this toothbrush broke. The toothbrush head moves 360 degrees - rather than securely fit to the handle & feels like it's going to fall off into my mouth if I try to brush my teeth with this brush. I called their customer service today and explained that I had bought 2 brushes for my husband & myself (I still have the receipt) less than 3 years ago. My husband's brush still works fine, but mine clearly had a flaw & is inoperable. Additionally, I just bought a 6-pack refill for the toothbrushes - of which, I can't use now! So had I filled out the registration, they would have replaced my toothbrush up to 2.5 years.

Well, like any "warranty" it's 2.8 years & they will only give me 15% coupon code - to buy only on their website. I spent $313.80 (for 2 Sonicare Diamond Tooth Brushes before tax), plus a few rounds of 6-pack refill brushes over the 2 years & now my best option is to pay ANOTHER $186.99 (15% OFF their website via coupon code they provided me). Adding that up - If I were to buy ANOTHER TOOTHBRUSH... I'm at $500.79 for toothbrushes (plus 6-pack refills I've bought along the way). It just really doesn't seem right to have to buy another toothbrush in a short time. 5 years, mmm... ok - wouldn't be complaining but when Phillips clearly covers a toothbrush up to 2.5 years & I'm at 2.8 years. Ridiculous.

I'm not forking over more money when I'm in fear that the toothbrush is going to break in another 2 years & I'm having to buy another one. This experience (the broken tooth brush & the "support" care line) has negatively impacted my opinion on the Phillips brand named products & I will certainly not have the confidence to buy any products with the Phillips branded name attached to it. Buyers beware. Very Disappointing Experience.

I purchased this about 2 1/2 years ago and it was expensive -- $200. This past week there has been trouble with the on/off button on the handle. I called customer service and they said "It is out of warranty. We can give you a 15% off coupon (this is really low) or you can purchase a new handle on Amazon for $98." However, the model on Amazon is not the very same nor of the same quality and most reviews said that the handle stopped working in a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Also, I believe this handle does not have the same warranty as the original. For this reason, I won't be purchasing a Sonicare; I will instead purchase an Oral B.

We purchased 2 Sonicare toothbrushes from Costco and have been happy with the performance. After a little less than 2 years, they literally both died in the same week. Called Sonicare, they said they would be happy to replace them if I can show proof of purchase of less than 2 years. Thank goodness, you can go to Costco and search past purchases. I was able to get a copy of the receipt and I emailed it to Philips. That was close to a month ago (1/12/2016), they have yet to mail out replacements.

I have called several times, they said that everything is approved, they are just waiting on their "specialty department" to ship them out. They have no idea when they will do that. I have called Sonicare again today and spoke to a rep Stephanie who was said there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she came back on the line 20 minutes later and said she would redo my order and make sure that they are sent out this week 2-day shipping. We will see if that happens... seriously!?! Why all the fuss with getting replacement toothbrushes sent.

When I took it apart to clean the inside was filled with black mold. The inside of the head was also filled with black mold. I looked at charging base and it too had signs of mold. I called and spoke with a representative at Sonicare. They were not helpful or interested in the problem.

My HX9340 DiamondClean Toothbrush cost over $219+ shipping, not to mention the head replacements are crap. It is 2 years old, they will not even repair it. They are offering a 15% discount for me to spend over $219 again, with no option to repair. I would not purchase another item from them.

I bought my Sonicare toothbrush around 2012, and was very happy with its performance, so was my dentist. After about two years I started having sores around my tongue, and inner side of the cheeks. I thought they were cold sores. Also I noticed that I started to bite my tongue and cheek during chewing. In 2015 I also started getting pains in the palm of my right hand similar to those ascribed to carpal tunnel syndrome. My initial conclusion was that these are due to old age (present age 68) and there is nothing that I can do about them. But the hand problems got worse few months ago (late 2015).

Just as a precaution I stopped using the Sonicare brush about a month ago. Since then all the problems eased quickly and now I don't have any problems. I just want to report this hoping that this news will help someone else. (Now I am back to regular mechanical rotary brush and I am happy with it. I do take regular medication for Cholesterol control.)

I first bought an HX6950 after my last one got too funky/old (it lasted about 8 years). It lasted for 1.5 years and then stopped. I went on Sonicare's chat page and they kindly offered to replace it since it was still under warranty. Exactly 2 years and 1 month later, the second one died. I thought with a 2 year warranty, they might let the one month slip, but discovered on the chat page that the warranty does not apply to their replacement anyway! So they could send you something defective and it's your problem! These are $100 for just a handle replacement on Amazon! I'm not hard on a toothbrush (obviously, you can see the first one lasted a long time) so I suspect this overpriced unit is poorly constructed or defective. Not much recourse, though, is there? I'm going to the dentist on Monday and will look into other options.

I tried to e-mail the company with my complaints to no avail. They only have a "chat" feature. I have been a Sonicare user since before Phillips bought the company. I wrote a review of their product recently and it was rejected (As a note, I followed the guidelines). The company recently switched their replacement heads to the "Diamond Clean". It is the only head available for sale at my dental office. The office has tried and cannot get the older head to sell. I was a dental hygienist for 26 years and highly recommended their product up until recently.

The newer head does not clean as well as the older "Pro result" head. The brushes and replacement heads are cheaply made compared to the older versions and much smaller. I would have thought the company would be interested in a professional opinion. Perhaps when they start losing market share, they will start to listen. I did suggest I would now consider a competitor's product because of their latest "advances". Maybe that was why it was rejected by their website. Hey Phillips! - consumers are not that easily fooled. Note: the older heads are still available online, but it is sad that they have ruined a great product as well as customer service.

About 6-7 months ago I noticed a slimy fungus growing inside the recessed part of the handle where the head fits in with the brush. I cleaned it with peroxide and let it dry before using it again. Well, it happened again. I repeated this process 3-4 times before giving up and going to a traditional toothbrush. I also noticed a swelling in my face at the site of a recent dental implant. I've been to 3 dental specialists and an ENT, plastic surgeon and dermatologist. None of them could explain the idiopathic edema at this focal site. I began to wonder if the black fungus from the Sonicare was responsible for this swelling.

I'm now going to take the crown off and take oral medication to see if the swelling will subside. If that doesn't work then I have to go through the process of removing the implant. Thankfully there is no pain, just the typical questions like, do you chew tobacco? Did you have stroke? What's going on with your face? Maybe Sonicare knows more about this than just replacing my handle, which they did because this is not the first complaint. The toothbrush experience was disgusting and hopefully my asymmetrical face will return to normal. Thanks Sonicare!

It is totally unfair to put a consumer through multiple emails, phone calls, mailings, scans, etc. in order to get a refund for a returned product. I returned a toothbrush, paid for shipping, filled out and mailed Philip's forms, sent the original receipt and all of the information they required. A phone call to them showed that they received everything and now all I had to do was wait for my refund. Nine weeks later - no refund. I called. The phone call confirmed, "Yes, we received everything. I can't understand the hold-up. Let me see what's going on and we'll email you the result." The result was an email saying that I had to send the receipt again AND the tracking number in order to REPROCESS my refund!

What happens to the average consumer who doesn't copy their receipt? What happens to the average consumer who confirms that the package has been delivered back to Philips and feels that they no longer have to save the tracking number? I have lodged my complaint with Philips. In a case where their own records showed that I did everything I was supposed to - A CONSUMER SHOULD NOT BE TOLD THEY HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS AGAIN!! I'm just lucky that I saved that information and have a scan of my original receipt, but I'm not even sure that "reprocessing" will get me a refund. So now I sit back and wait - AGAIN! I will NEVER purchase another Philips product.

I've decided (they are all made in CHINA by the way) I HATE THE PHILIPS (SONICARE TOOTHBRUSHES) COMPANY. Online: The way Sonicare sets you up to buy from a bazillion choices including what heads go with what brush with what series with what item number, then look at the prices to determine what is best for you! ** Ugh! NEED A NEW 224.95 dollar toothbrush? or a 159.95 dollar toothbrush that lasts 2 years? Philips will actually sell one to you and not feel a bit bad. It costs them HOW MUCH to make these in China? People need these toothbrushes. True. But, evidently SONICARE PHILIPS thinks their product is made of gold. Rrrrrrr! Sincerely, a very nice lady that has had it with Philips prices. ~drop the mic~

I have had a Sonicare toothbrush for many years and it has suddenly stopped working due to the timer. I've made sure that it is fully charged, but still will not run more than just a few seconds and stop, and I have to keep pressing the button to keep it running. Does the rechargeable battery need to be replaced? I love this toothbrush, so please let me know what needs to be done to fix it.

After reading other posts here I was prepared for the worst. However, I must say Philips was AWESOME. The matter was handled in less than 5 minutes using a pop-up customer service chat window. The agent was quick, efficient and advised I will be receiving a replacement within 7-10 days. Guess they got the message from all the terrible feedback!

Rebates that are a scam and never pay consumer. You buy and send in what is required with the upc from the product and fill out the required form. And some other 3rd party doesn't have a clue and tells you that you did not send in what is required. I have sent this in before and had the same result. I won't buy sonic products and word of mouth is a good thing.

I paid $105.00 for the Sonicare Toothbrush. I admit it did a fine job of cleaning mine and my wife's teeth. But for a company to intentionally build a appliance to become useless after nothing but having dead batteries is really lame. The working part of the brush was working just fine and required nothing but new replacement NICad Rechargeable Batteries. In order to get the batteries out of the handle you have to literally destroy the handle. They are epoxy glued in and cannot be replaced. (This brush is not the type that has the screw in bottom. It is the type where the housing is epoxy glued together and very difficult to open up). Don't buy the the type without the screw in bottom. The type that is made this way. The type that you can unscrew looks to be easy to replace with only a soldering iron.

I bought a series 2 sonicare toothbrush in march of 2015. The head falls off after one week of use. I sent the whole box back like I was instructed. They sent me my old handle back without my original box or charger or brush head. Then a week later they sent me 2 new heads and my charger... minus the original box. The brush still falls off and after 4 phone calls one being to the corporate office I'm still getting no place. I explained this is a safety concern and their reply was the same. "We will call you back in 24-48 hours".... It's May 13th and I still have no response. This is very sad as the first sonicare series 1 lasted me 8 years!

Philips Sonicare Toothbrush Company Profile