4.2/5 (945 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: March 12, 2022

The individuals I dealt with were very kind and answered questions so that I understood. I received the Medical Guardian equipment in a short period of time. I dropped it (in Indiana). One always wonders if there will be an immediate response if needed. I had one. While in Florida, I dropped it (arthritic hands). I received another immediate response. It is a great travel companion. I consider this purchase a success.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The issue I’ve had as a caregiver for my mom is the App… It is too hard to access and won’t even open up most of the time. Read the App Store reviews for more details. The unit itself is great and so easy to Use and there was no installation. Just charge it up and go!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I was looking for a medical device that I could have with fall alert protection. Medical Guardian is supplying me with this protection. I was not happy with the first equipment I received but when called to set up the system, I was told of optional pieces. I am now thrilled with my small pendant and the system. Hopefully I will only have to press the alarm button once a month for a test.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I spoke to Allison. She was well informed and very polite. She answered all my questions and made me feel comfortable making my decision to go with Guardian.

I received my Mini Guardian three days ago. I charged the battery then spoke with a women who went over my instructions. Very easy to set up. Thank you, Carol

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Wish the battery lasted longer than 5 days between charges! Even 2 more days would be nice. That way it's only once a week instead every 5 days which would make it easier to remember to do as you could pick 1 day a week and that would be designated charge your battery day!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

It is very easy to set up. We got both the wrist unit and the neck pendant, so if we get tired of one, we can switch. Three dollars more per month to add that option. We are pleased and will recommend it to our friends. I sure hope that Medical Guardian does not sell my phone number or e-mail!!! THAT would piss me

off. !!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

When they updated from G4 to G5 they changed out the machines and the wrist bands. The new wrist bands have no metal clasp. The have a plastic push nubbins. The don't stay on. My mom hates it. She called and they said they would send old bracelet. She got new ones again. Then I called and ask her to be switched back to 4G with the better bracelet. I was told it would ship next day. She got it and it the SAME one she already has. These are elderly people. Customer service is terrible. We are switching companies. Her neighbor is having the same issue. Shame on Medical Guardian for sending non senior citizen bracelets.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I buy few medicine and they give me on-time delivery. This is really good. they also reply me instantly. I think they are very responsive about the time. Overall, the experience is good and I would recommended everyone. Thanks.

Original review: April 1, 2021

The device worked very well for my mother the choice of a necklace or a wrist band was very nice to have. It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home to notify me that her device had been activated. Peace of mind... priceless.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I was very excited about the Freedom Guardian Watch because it was everything I needed for my mother. I read the reviews and did my research then placed my order. This arrived in about 5 days and I was quick to charge it for the night so I could set it up in the morning. I woke up, made my coffee and called the company to activate it. Now, I live in the suburb of a large city and getting a phone signal is not a problem. This was a problem for the watch so the Tech asked if I could try standing outside to see if this would help. It seems that a metal roof or siding will block the signal (I have neither). Well, there is freezing rain and sub zero but I took one for the team and went outside (really the doorway and held the watch out further) this changed nothing. The watch would not connect to the signal of AT&T.

I was able to test the system and talk to the operator when I pushed the help button. The Tech suggested I power it off and try setting it up at my mother's home. Upon arriving to my mother's I called the Tech back and powered up the watch. Now there is NO signal. The person I was talking to was very nice and easy to work with. She told me the watch is only 3G and lots of areas are weeding this out for the faster 4 and 5G. There is also a "VERY small antenna in the watch that limits its range." Her words. She then told me I was by a lake and around a lot of trees which can also block the signal - really! Well the GPS is working. I asked if they were upgrading this watch and this was a no. I think this could be a great product if they pick a better phone carries and stronger antenna. I'm so sad but I am returning this product. I feel the technology already exists - Guardian please team up with Apple watch and make this work for our seniors.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

My mother has the MiniGuardian, and recently fell (first incident with the unit). The system did in fact summon an ambulance crew (my mother pressed the button). But the crew could not get into the house for 15 minutes -- until I noticed flashing red lights from the window and opened the front door (I was actually home, but was pre-occupied in a different part of the house). What about the lockbox code? The crew was told by the dispatcher there was no such code. But after the incident, I called customer service and inquired about the lockbox code and the rep immediately told it to me! But the dispatcher (called the next day by pressing the button on the device) stated there was no lockbox code.

What about calling emergency contacts? None were called (including myself who is first in the list to be called). The customer service rep said that there were none in the system and that's why no one was called. I told him to pull up the scanned signed doc of the system agreement which he did, and he admitted that yes there were four emergency contacts listed. He could not explain why the info was not in the system. To summarize: The system -- when needed -- only came through for summoning the ambulance, but failed on providing lockbox code, and failed on calling emergency contacts.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

The Medical Guardian equipment was bulky and heavy, and my mom didn't like it; we tried two different products, so we gave it all a shot. I received confirmation that the returned equipment was received on 8/6/2020 and was told to allow a ridiculous 30 days for a refund. I went along, but when I hadn't received a refund my next credit card bill, I called on 9/21/20. Still no refund on 9/24, so I submitted a dispute via my credit card company. On 10/11/2020 the credit card company reversed its refund and told me the dispute was still in play.

On 10/21/2020, I called and talked with Barbara who told me that Medical Guardian hadn't been able to refund my money because of the refund dispute, even though the transaction had been reversed TEN DAYS prior. She said I would be credited within 72 hours. What malarkey. I told her that if the refund weren't posted in that time, I would go ahead and work through my state's district attorney. She said, "OK" without any apology for this poor service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I order the home medical alert system for my mother end of 2019. I was told when I purchased the system and paid for a year of services that I had 30 days to try the product, and would receive a full refund if I was not satisfied. I made sure the warranty was for 30 days because this was a Christmas gift, and I knew my mother would be leaving for 2 weeks the day after Christmas, so it would be at least 2 weeks before she could try it out. I asked extensive questions about the warranty and return policy, and because of the answers I received I was comfortable paying for a year of services. That was a mistake.

The additional call boxes were not synced with the base unit, nor could I get them to sync. We had issues getting the base unit to work with the cable based phone system, which I was assured would not be problem when I placed the order. When we called to get assistance the call center was either closed (not open on Sundays, but the website said it was when I was researching), too busy to help at that point in time, or the person was completely incompetent and couldn't help at all. We called 4 or 5 times trying to get this system to work.

I decided to return the system, so I packed everything up and paid out of my own pocket for the return shipping and insurance. When I finally received my refund about 6 weeks later, it was $50 short. I called to find out why, and was told the warranty was only 15 days therefore I was being charged for shipping and the 1st month of services. What it comes down to is this company charged me $50 for nothing but lies, deceit, and frustration.

I was going to file a complaint with my State Attorney General's office, but once the pandemic hit I felt there were bigger problems in the world. If this is how they are treating me, I have serious concerns about they are treating the disabled and elderly consumers this service is designed for. I spent hours online doing research on different companies and felt this was the best service for the price. Remember, you get what you pay for, and Medical Guardian will rip you off. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I can't get up when I fall. I now have Medical Guardian's device that goes around my neck. It goes when I go. I haven't had to use it, but so far it's easy to handle. The Medical Guardian team has been very cooperative and very easy to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. I wanted to make sure I was covered and so I got a medical alert. I got a Medical Guardian and put a lockbox outside my house in case the fire department has to come in. Medical Guardian would notify them so at nights, I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on. Having it makes me feel secure and safe.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had a ministroke and I would pass out and lose my balance. I live out in the country in Marion, Arkansas where phone service is not doing well. I got myself a cell phone that has a button that I push when I have an emergency. When I had a ministroke, I used the dial and somebody came by and helped me out. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital. When I got out, one of my children said something about getting me a push button. Now I have a device on my neck from Medical Guardian. The button is there for me when I need it. I also have a button in each room.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had several falls a few months ago and then I had to have a leg amputated ‘cause of an infection. I needed a medical alert device in case I fall some more. My experience with Medical Guardian has been really good. I have no problems at all. I’m glad I have it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My husband is on rehab and I live by myself at the present time, and my son felt that I would be safer having this device. He got it from Medical Guardian early part of July. I have not had to use it but when I first got it, I unconsciously activated it. The answering machine answered right away. I felt so embarrassed that I had to tell them that but I like that they responded readily. I wish though that the device could be in every room. The main machine is in the living room but in the bedroom, I would have to rely on just punching the button. Then, they would call the contact number but I would not be able to chat with them. I wear the button around my neck and I had to pull it up a little bit because it rested in my stomach. Every time I leaned against something, it got activated. I had to raise it up, so it would be closer to my breastbone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My daughter bought me a Medical Guardian after I fell one night. Though I'm not too enthused about wearing the device, I wear it every day.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I'm alone in my big house. If anything happens to me, I wanted a way of contacting someone other than by using a telephone. My neighbor checked with several companies and found Medical Guardian to be most successful. She came to my place with all the information and we established the account. So far, I don't like my Medical Guardian much. It keeps opening and the long thing that goes around my wrist keeps flapping around and getting into everything. I have to stop everything I'm doing and put it back with things that hold it down. Still, it's alright and I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My father-in-law is elderly, lives alone and has been falling some. My brother-in-law looked online and Medical Guardian seemed to have the best rating and so, we went with it. My father-in-law and brother-in-law tested the button and everything is positive. We don't have any problems with it. Somebody came up and asked us about it and we've already given one referral.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

On my 87th birthday, my two daughters got together and looked into getting me a medical alert device. They went with Medical Guardian but so far I've found their device very heavy. I need a bell around my neck and it's been very hot and humid. I don't like that the string around my neck is going to get covered with sweat and will get dirty. If Medical Guardian could make the cord around my neck or the device detachable such that it could be clipped to a belt, it would be an improvement. It would also help if I get someone with me who understands it. The device came through the mail and my daughters weren't around.

I also don't like the blinking lights as I don't know whether I'm charging the device right. There is a red light on the device and then there is an intense blinking light. There is also a blue light that goes at three-second intervals which lights up the room at night. For women like me who are not good with electronics, it's frightening when things start to beep and light up. I put it on my nightstand at nighttime and I have had to hide it. In the end, I got so fed up that I stuck it in a drawer.

There was a time when I was weeding and leaned against a big stone wall. That activated the device and immediately their reps called asking what the problem was. I told them it was an error and they asked me that two or three times just to make sure. That proved to me that the device was efficient as it was tucked inside my dress and it would be quite sensitive to be pushed with me leaning against a wall.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've had several falls so my son got me a medical alert device. He looked through several medical alert device companies and device on Medical Guardian. I used their necklace unit for a while and then I shifted to their bracelet. The bracelet started to bother me so I went back to the necklace. The necklace is so long though that I cut it a little bit to make it fit. This way, I wouldn't have all that cord hanging down. The unit I have functions in my home until 1,300 feet away. While I would like for it to help me outside of home too, I'm satisfied so far.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My father lives by himself and getting up in age, which was why I got him a medical alert device. I liked Medical Guardian’s rating and signing up with them was simple. My father told me he has tried the button, and his only complaint is that it is large and there's a red flashing light on it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I have fear of falling. I’ve fallen three times in a row, and each time I had to have a hip replaced. It's been tough times. It was time for me to do something about it. So, we got Medical Guardian. Everything's been good. I haven't fallen, so I haven't had to use it but it's with me all the time. I have it around my neck. I like the feeling of reassurance that I have in case something happens. I feel there's somebody there in case I need them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My mother is under hospice care and she is getting weaker every week. We got her a Medical Guardian and security-wise, she has been fine. We programed the device such that if she falls, the call goes directly to the hospice and they come out to my mother's location. Medical Guardian has been great so far from my experiences with customer service to putting in the alert device.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I wear my Medical Guardian around my neck and it's been fine so far. I haven't had a need to use it, but it doesn't bother me to wear it. One time, I pushed my button, and then they answered it. It was just a short period of time. They called back and asked if I was all right. I said, "Yeah. I'm all right. It was just a first time test.”

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

My mom's Medical Guardian device has been so far, so good. Everything was good when I set it up. She had some therapist that were coming out. She's had strokes and she's unsteady on her feet. She stays by herself. She's got to stay here once she let the dog out in the pen. She could go outside with her device cause it's like a cellular device. I’m about 10 minutes away from her, but still, if something happens, she can press that button. Even if somebody's breaking in or something, she can press it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I've fallen down many times. My son purchased a Medical Guardian for me and now I feel safer.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I decided to get a Medical Guardian because I was by myself for a long while, but my sister's with me now. I wanted to make sure that if I would fall or something would happen, I would have somebody to help me. I feel much safer being here, ‘cause I know if something happens, all I have to do is push my little button and somebody will come. I have it around my neck and I wear it all the time.

Medical Guardian Company Information