Get Pricing

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.2/5 (934 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had several falls a few months ago and then I had to have a leg amputated ‘cause of an infection. I needed a medical alert device in case I fall some more. My experience with Medical Guardian has been really good. I have no problems at all. I’m glad I have it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My husband is on rehab and I live by myself at the present time, and my son felt that I would be safer having this device. He got it from Medical Guardian early part of July. I have not had to use it but when I first got it, I unconsciously activated it. The answering machine answered right away. I felt so embarrassed that I had to tell them that but I like that they responded readily. I wish though that the device could be in every room. The main machine is in the living room but in the bedroom, I would have to rely on just punching the button. Then, they would call the contact number but I would not be able to chat with them. I wear the button around my neck and I had to pull it up a little bit because it rested in my stomach. Every time I leaned against something, it got activated. I had to raise it up, so it would be closer to my breastbone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My daughter bought me a Medical Guardian after I fell one night. Though I'm not too enthused about wearing the device, I wear it every day.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I'm alone in my big house. If anything happens to me, I wanted a way of contacting someone other than by using a telephone. My neighbor checked with several companies and found Medical Guardian to be most successful. She came to my place with all the information and we established the account. So far, I don't like my Medical Guardian much. It keeps opening and the long thing that goes around my wrist keeps flapping around and getting into everything. I have to stop everything I'm doing and put it back with things that hold it down. Still, it's alright and I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My father-in-law is elderly, lives alone and has been falling some. My brother-in-law looked online and Medical Guardian seemed to have the best rating and so, we went with it. My father-in-law and brother-in-law tested the button and everything is positive. We don't have any problems with it. Somebody came up and asked us about it and we've already given one referral.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

On my 87th birthday, my two daughters got together and looked into getting me a medical alert device. They went with Medical Guardian but so far I've found their device very heavy. I need a bell around my neck and it's been very hot and humid. I don't like that the string around my neck is going to get covered with sweat and will get dirty. If Medical Guardian could make the cord around my neck or the device detachable such that it could be clipped to a belt, it would be an improvement. It would also help if I get someone with me who understands it. The device came through the mail and my daughters weren't around.

I also don't like the blinking lights as I don't know whether I'm charging the device right. There is a red light on the device and then there is an intense blinking light. There is also a blue light that goes at three-second intervals which lights up the room at night. For women like me who are not good with electronics, it's frightening when things start to beep and light up. I put it on my nightstand at nighttime and I have had to hide it. In the end, I got so fed up that I stuck it in a drawer.

There was a time when I was weeding and leaned against a big stone wall. That activated the device and immediately their reps called asking what the problem was. I told them it was an error and they asked me that two or three times just to make sure. That proved to me that the device was efficient as it was tucked inside my dress and it would be quite sensitive to be pushed with me leaning against a wall.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've had several falls so my son got me a medical alert device. He looked through several medical alert device companies and device on Medical Guardian. I used their necklace unit for a while and then I shifted to their bracelet. The bracelet started to bother me so I went back to the necklace. The necklace is so long though that I cut it a little bit to make it fit. This way, I wouldn't have all that cord hanging down. The unit I have functions in my home until 1,300 feet away. While I would like for it to help me outside of home too, I'm satisfied so far.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My father lives by himself and getting up in age, which was why I got him a medical alert device. I liked Medical Guardian’s rating and signing up with them was simple. My father told me he has tried the button, and his only complaint is that it is large and there's a red flashing light on it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I have fear of falling. I’ve fallen three times in a row, and each time I had to have a hip replaced. It's been tough times. It was time for me to do something about it. So, we got Medical Guardian. Everything's been good. I haven't fallen, so I haven't had to use it but it's with me all the time. I have it around my neck. I like the feeling of reassurance that I have in case something happens. I feel there's somebody there in case I need them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My mother is under hospice care and she is getting weaker every week. We got her a Medical Guardian and security-wise, she has been fine. We programed the device such that if she falls, the call goes directly to the hospice and they come out to my mother's location. Medical Guardian has been great so far from my experiences with customer service to putting in the alert device.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I wear my Medical Guardian around my neck and it's been fine so far. I haven't had a need to use it, but it doesn't bother me to wear it. One time, I pushed my button, and then they answered it. It was just a short period of time. They called back and asked if I was all right. I said, "Yeah. I'm all right. It was just a first time test.”

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

My mom's Medical Guardian device has been so far, so good. Everything was good when I set it up. She had some therapist that were coming out. She's had strokes and she's unsteady on her feet. She stays by herself. She's got to stay here once she let the dog out in the pen. She could go outside with her device cause it's like a cellular device. I’m about 10 minutes away from her, but still, if something happens, she can press that button. Even if somebody's breaking in or something, she can press it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I've fallen down many times. My son purchased a Medical Guardian for me and now I feel safer.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I decided to get a Medical Guardian because I was by myself for a long while, but my sister's with me now. I wanted to make sure that if I would fall or something would happen, I would have somebody to help me. I feel much safer being here, ‘cause I know if something happens, all I have to do is push my little button and somebody will come. I have it around my neck and I wear it all the time.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

My daughter decided to get me a medical alert because I'm 95 years old. She wanted it for emergencies. I can't talk too right and I can't do things. I can't walk a lot. When I need to call her, I have my Medical Guardian device on my arm. I have like a watch on my hand. I haven't used it yet for anything but it's a very good thing. I feel safe. Now that I have it, I can get help if it is needed.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

The customer service of Medical Guardian has been very good. The sales representatives were easy to deal with. Thankfully, we haven't had to use it yet ‘cause my mother hasn’t fallen yet. But from speaking to a sales representative to installing it, it's been great.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

My son got me to purchase a Medical Guardian, so I have it in case of an emergency. I keep it beside my bed. I don't wear it because it's a little heavy. My experience with it has been fine. I have not had to use it though.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I researched online and liked what they had to say about Medical Guardian. The information on their website stood out. I also liked that their call centers are all in the US, so I knew I would be speaking to somebody who could speak English. Everybody at Medical Guardian was very good at what they did. They spoke clearly, explained things adequately, and they were polite. I did use my device once. I have Parkinson's and I froze. I just needed them to call anybody. I had them call my sister to wake her up so she could come and assist me. It was a positive experience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I live alone and I've fallen. My kids thought it would be good if I got the Medical Guardian device. They're happy that I have it and that I use it. Right now, I'm sitting in a metro park and I have the bracelet on, and I have the other part in my purse. They feel that it's money well-spent. However, it's not really comfortable. Especially when it's hot and sticky, it's hard to wear it. It sticks to my arm. It's not like I'm thinking, I don’t like it. I'm just not a jewelry person. But I'm used to it. It's okay. It's made well. I'm glad that I have it and I use it. I'm gonna be 85 this month, so it's a good thing to have.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I did some research online and Medical Guardian seemed like the best deal. We liked that you're not in a contract and the price. We had it before for temporary and so far, it's great. We needed it at one time and it worked out well. Bob had fallen and I wasn't around. So, he called 911 and they came and helped him up.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I was falling a lot. My children decided for me to have Medical Guardian. They feel very good about it. I don't wear my device but I keep it on my night table. I tried to use it once, but the battery was out. I hadn’t charged the battery.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

My insurance company sent me a medical alert. They sent one of those things that they got to set up a thing in your house and you can only go 500 feet. My mailbox is over 500 feet from my door. My backyard, I have to only go halfway through it. I've never opened it. That was when I went online and got Medical Guardian. I'd rather pay for something that I know is gonna be there when I need it.

I live by myself and I have very bad sleep habits. But for three nights, strange things had been going on around my house. When you live in the woods by yourself, even though you got neighbors, it's still scary. The first two nights, I called my daughter's son-in-law and they came over. This time, I thought they were in my house. I have a big house and it sounded like they were in my garage. I couldn't remember if I locked the door between the hallway and the garage.

I pushed the button and I told the lady, "I don't need an ambulance, but I think I need the sheriff." They were here within two minutes. The rep stayed on that thing. That was another good thing. I might've had a heart attack had she not been on there calming me down. She talked me through a very bad panic attack. That's as scary as having a heart attack. I thought my oxygen wasn't working. I kept checking my oxygen level and making sure the oxygen concentrator was on. Suddenly, I just pushed the button, 'cause my heart rate was up to 135 and my oxygen level was dropping. I know what to do when that happens. But when you're having a panic attack, you can't think. Everything goes crazy.

But I guarantee I wouldn't trade my Medical Guardian for anything because the rep stayed on there and she was like the nerves talking to me. She told me to sit down and to get away from the door. It was just like having her in the room with me. By the time they got here, she had me calmed down. She was very comforting. They checked the property and inside and they made sure I was all right before they left. I've already recommended Medical Guardian to my friend out in California.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

The kids said I should get the device from Medical Guardian. Roxanne, my daughter, looked at them and she said that was the one I needed. When my daughter and my daughter-in-law agree on something, it's a whole lot easier to go along with them than it is to argue with them. It’s got to be safer having the device. I've got my cell phone and it works most of the places I am but with that tied around the neck, might not be quite as to drop it. But it’s because of the injury that I got it.

On December 10th last year, I fell off a truck, broke my neck, C6-C7 and I’m behind a wheelchair. But I'm doing fantastic and wonderful. I just can't walk. I was totally paralyzed from my chest down and I'm living by myself. I've got enough strength back in my arms so that I can get in and out of bed by myself. I have home health come twice a week. I just call the bath lady and the thing is to get me from my wheelchair to the shower chair and back. Where I'm at now, I cannot safely get from the wheelchair to the shower chair by myself.

I wear the device around my neck all the time, except when it’s on the charger. I recharge it when the bath ladies are here. They seem to be nice enough ladies. They’d call for help if I did something dumb when they're here. I have never ever worn anything around my neck and maybe in about 50 years I'll get all calluses around my neck. It won't bother me unless it has to. I haven't tested it out and just like my car insurance I pay for, I hope I never use it.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

When my grandmother received her Medical Guardian device, I was the one that was supposed to set it up. But she threw away the box that it came in with the instructions, so we weren't for sure how to set it up. I did save the email, so my husband was kinda sorta messing around with it because we didn't know if the green light was supposed to stay on if it was charged or what was going on. He messed around with it for a few minutes and it ended up calling the help people. When it did, my husband said, “We were just trying to figure it out. We didn't know how to work it, what's going on.” The rep talked him through it and told him that everything was set up and it was ready to go.

My grandmother had fallen and broke her hip and we had rotated with her. We kinda had done that before she got her medical alert device. When she fell and broke her hip, we said, “Well, we all work and the majority of us all have to work days. So she's there by herself until one of us gets off or something.” So we got to looking around to see what was out there. We called Life Alert. For me, that was too expensive for something that she might use because I don't think she's going to use it that much. It's just going to be for if something happens and nobody's around, then she would use it.

We were trying to find something that was in a price range that was reasonable for what she might end up using it for. I started research and look in and then I found Medical Guardian and read up about it. We called and we asked about it and all of us kinda agree for the price and the service that it would be good. Our grandmother hasn't had to use the device. We're hoping she doesn't, but we wanted that extra layer of protection for us. Nobody is there and if something does happen, she has something. Everybody's very satisfied with it. The price is reasonable.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Medical Guardian is working out really well for my mother. She's 89, and I live on the other side of town here, but still, if she would fall in the house, I would want to know about it. She goes outside and tries to pull weeds and all those wonderful little things. She won't listen to us, so we figured this was the next best thing. My older sister picked Medical Guardian out, and we just agreed on it. She went on and evaluated or looked up their ratings on her phone, so she thought this one was the best for what we needed. Mom doesn't really travel anywhere, and she doesn't go anywhere but the house, so we thought this would be perfect for her. She wears her device. She either has the necklace on or she wears the watch. We've been really happy with Medical Guardian.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

My mother's 80 years old and still lives alone. She’s had bad vertigo and had a lot of dizzy spells with that. We decided it would be better off to get that where she would have something. In case she fell and nobody was there, she could get help. I looked at the alerts up online and Medical Guardian came up as the number one company. I called to inquire about it. They gave me all that information over the phone right down to the price. So, we decided and went with them. So far, the Medical Guardian has been great. We've had no issues. We've been very satisfied. They were helpful and friendly over the phone. When we did the test, they were right on it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

My mother is 91 so the possibility of falling is increasing. With Medical Guardian, we feel more secure. The device is fine and I can understand and hear the station out of which the person talks but the voice cuts in and out. So, it's hard for my mother to understand. I had to tell her that when she hears them answering, she should tell them, “Ambulance or call my daughter." We've worked around it but it would be nice if the acoustics were a little easier for older people to understand. It's not coming across clearly and it's not the fault of the person talking to us. It's the equipment.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I got the virus and my friend called Medical Guardian and ordered a device for me, and she had it sent to my house. I live alone and my kids are in California. They were worried about me being alone with the virus. I fell down the front steps with it on. I hurt my shoulder. I couldn't get off the step. People weren't stopping because everybody's afraid of the virus. They knew I had the virus. They're afraid they're gonna get it. So, all the neighbors that were on the beach walking by does not stop to help me up. I was able to call the ambulance and made a lot of trouble getting me up because of the shoulder and my weight. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because my shoulder is still in bad shape. I can't use the right arm much at all.

I called Medical Guardian a couple of times because there were a few questions on it. One was the water. The brochure says, it can take the water slightly. Somebody said, "No, don't shower with it." When my friend bought it, they said, "You can shower with it," which is one of the selling spiels that she went by. And then they told me I can't shower with it. Then they told me yes again when I ordered one for my friend's husband who just fell down the stairs. But he doesn't want it. He said he's gonna return it. He's 84 and has Parkinson's. He goes in his workshop for four hours. His wife never hears about him. He was doing some work himself, and he slid down the stairs.

He's a machinist. He's retired but still works on these big machines. His comment was, "I can't hang anything like that around my neck working on these machines." I said, "No, no, no. You put it in your pocket." It's a smaller black one. I bought the fall device, too. If he falls, it kinda had a comment in there that it will always recognize when you fall. When I ordered it, it's $10 for a month. He said it works, but he was concerned about it. We're at the yacht club Friday and he said, "It doesn't say anything. One little brochure doesn't say anything about falling." I said, "It's there, little left hand corner. Not much is said but it's there. You gotta pay extra for it." So, I paid extra for it. I said, "If you fall, it'll be in there."

I find that I'm charging my device more than I expected. When you're charging it, you don't have it on. I have to schedule the charging. I'll put the charging dock next to my recliner where I sleep. Overall, it was so comforting to have my Medical Guardian device the first time living through the virus, not being able to breathe and being alone. I didn't have it when I was in the worst state. But then when I had it, it was like, "Wow," what a nice feeling to have this.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have RA, so my joints hurts and sometimes, I fall. I've had other health issues that come along with that. I got Medical Guardian, and my husband really appreciates it especially, when he's not home, he knows that there's at least some contact. We did go for the necklace because I thought that would be the one I'd be most likely to remember to have on and take with me. It's just a little heavy to wear, but it's comfortable.

It was easy to sign up with Medical Guardian. It wasn't confusing. It's a really peaceful feeling knowing we have it. It's not expensive, too. The peace of mind far outweighs the cost of what it is a month. When others ask, I tell them that we got the device because it made us more comfortable knowing that there would be somebody to help if I needed it. I said, "You know, sometimes I'm visiting you guys and you don't have all of my medical information. So this way, somebody does. And they can get ahold of somebody who would be able to help."

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

My daughter got me a Medical Guardian in case something happens to me. I wear it around my neck and keep it on all the time. So far, I've had no problems with the device at all.

Medical Guardian Company Information