Medical Guardian

3.0(1,069)

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. Its products include wearable mobile devices and home-based systems with optional fall detection. The company was established in 2005 and is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • 24/7 professional monitoring
    • GPS capabilities
    • Smartwatch options
    • Companion app
    Cons
    • Some upfront costs
    • No free trial period

Stars Rating

• 37%
    • 12%
    • 5%
    • 6%
    • 40%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?
      Customer ServiceStaffBilling

Reviewed May 13, 2024

I bought this service for my mother for one year. It was just up for renewal and I saw that they tried to charge my credit card. I called them right away and told them that we were canceling the service--My mom never really used it. After I called and cancelled it, they charged my account after telling them to cancel it. I was charged for one year of service and they told me my refund was going to be less $150 because of restocking and I don't know what else. These people are unethical. I would NOT recommend.

Reviewed May 2, 2024

It gives me peace of mind knowing that if something happens a push of a button and help will be moments away, it works great when I travel as well they will know exactly where I am. Great Company, and a good product, I've had mine for 4 years and not one problem....

Online & App

Reviewed April 26, 2024

Okay as being a healthcare professional, there are several things that we were looking for in a system. This met all of our needs. It is super easy to set up and use. The app makes it easy to change your settings. We have found no downfall in this product and how it works.

Profile pic of the author.
      Ana increased rating by 1 star.
      Customer ServiceFall DetectionStaffBilling
      After a positive interaction with Medical Guardian, Ana increased their star rating on April 17, 2024.

Updated review: April 17, 2024

After waiting 3 weeks and the aggravation of having to call to speak to several people about their error, I finally received my refund.

Original Review: April 10, 2024

Updated on 04/19/2024: After receiving a new alert unit and pendant it seems to be working fine and my mother has no complaints. I spoke to a representative on the phone and the billing error was finally corrected and they updated the information.

Original: Their customer care department is a disorganized mess, to be honest. I had to order 3 different alert units because they wouldn't work properly and unfortunately they had my credit card number and they charged me twice for the annual fee without my authorization. In fact, I told them more than once NOT to charge to that account but they did anyway without authorization from me, and charged me double the annual fee. It's been 10 days and they have $797.00 of mine in fees that they will not refund. This company is not trustworthy.

Reviewed March 29, 2024

I bought this "service" back in November for my mother who had fallen a few times in the past. Wearing this device she fell and laid on the floor bleeding for 2 hours until I got home. So the device doesn't work, I can understand that but when I called them to get the device replaced, they tried to charge me for a faulty device. To make things worse when I tried to cancel they have you jump through hoops to cancel anything.

Fast forward 3 months from the time I tried to cancel... I have had multiple phone calls to them and provided tracking that they have the device in their possession and now they are telling me it'll take 30 business days to get this cancelled. Why? In the meantime I've been getting billed every month for a service I don't use and a device I don't even have! I've been through a couple different companies in the past for this type of service and this is by far the worst all around.

Reviewed March 19, 2024

Overall the experience was good. I was able to get the device up and running with little issues. I had an issue with alarms triggered in the bowling alley and after setting my chain up and keeping my phone out the issue was resolved the problem. They showed up twice so the unit work as advertised a little too good.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed March 18, 2024

Beware Consumers! I got my mother the MG Mini Lite device, fall protection and service that comes with the device for a time period of 3 months, which didn't come until 12 days after I was charged for their service. So, how can we get service without the device? So they get a free 11 days on my dime? It doesn't matter if the shipping takes a while to get to you, service should never be charged before getting the device. This is sad what they are doing to seniors! I spoke with Samantha who is a supervisor, who basically told me they would credit me one month at the renewal period. I told her I am not sure I want to renew, but still this is their final decision apparently.

I said, "Why don't you just credit me to June 12th to make up for the full 3 months I paid for and if not, can you give me a proration." They will not budge. I feel taken advantage of and wanted to let other consumers know what they are getting into. When you rent a car you can pay for the service ahead of time, but that service only starts when you pickup the car, in this case service should start when you get the device!!! Makes sense right?

Fall DetectionStaff

Reviewed March 12, 2024

Once my husband passed away and I was living alone, I wanted to know that if something were to happen to me, I could count on my Medical Guardian that they would be able to contact someone. I have fallen several times and they have responded very fast in contacting either family members or EMTs for me. I won't be without my alert!

Reviewed March 5, 2024

System is great and very reliable with a quick response. The only issue is the battery is supposed to last 5 days but about every other day you need to recharge it. Also it would be great if the system would notify you when the battery is low versus having to log on to see what the battery level is.

Reviewed March 4, 2024

I got this device because I have seizures and have fallen a few times. I have had to get a new device and even that one was messed up. I had to yell just so they could hear and now I found a service my insurance covers so I canceled it just to find out that there is a 50 dollar restocking fee and also I have to pay to ship their device back to them and they won't even apply a 40 dollar credit that I was promised to the restocking fee. I am on disability and can't afford a lot. Don't go with this company.

Reviewed Feb. 29, 2024

Having to charge device every 2 days, is something I was not aware of when I purchased it. But I guess that is what has to be done. I sometimes am afraid I will not be aware of it when it happens during the night if I have to use it in an emergency.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2024

My father was placed in assisted living. I called to cancel service. Was told we still had a few months on credit. They suggested keeping the service until service ran out of the billing cycle. I said I was okay with that, but wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be charged any further. I was told the service would be cancelled. Guess what, received a notice my credit card would be charged. Further found out, service was never cancelled, I need to fill out a form before service would be cancelled. Advised it could take up to 30 days to cancel. I would suggest any other service besides my guardian. Wasn’t impressed with the alert system either.

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2024

My father enrolled in this. He cancelled the service as he chose another vendor. As his emergency contact, they keep calling me about services despite sending materials back and cancelling them accordingly. They call me at work, on my cell phone and send threatening letters to my father. It has been a horrible experience. They didn’t tell me the services had stopped and I thought something g happened to my dad. Only to demand money and activate account again. Can not get in touch with customer service for them to stop. Put on hold for 1.5 hours. No option to stop services when you call. It has been beyond stressful and feels exploitive as I was just his emergency contact and they still are trying to get money from me and my dad. Do NOT sign up. They will harass you with no ability to complain despite cancelling services for several months. It has been a nightmare.

Billing

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2024

My mom fell and equipment didn't work. She was transported by ambulance with head injuries. One of the devices batteries came apart and I was forced into getting additional insurance for devices. When I tried to cancel I have not gotten a refund on a whole year charged to my credit card after I canceled.

Customer ServiceFall Detection

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2024

I have now on 3 consecutive occasions had an issue were my grandparent has fallen, required assistance, and Medical Guardian fails to contact emergency responders. Thank goodness that each time was not a serious fall. However, it has resulted in them being stuck on the floor for 30 to 40 minutes as a result of Medical Guardian's failure to dispatch emergency responders. We have a 92 year old on the floor, who has hit the emergency button, and Medical Guardian just spends time going back and forth debating if emergency responders are needed. It makes no sense. They are 92, they are on the floor, Medical Guardian has confirmed they are on the floor. Who are they going to call? Well, the unfortunate answer is Medical Guardian is not sure who they will call, and they can't figure out that it should be 911.

MonitoringPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2024

He never returned to his home. I contacted to cancel, I did not have the equipment to return as we live in different states. I still requested cancel and asked that they use the remaining monitoring, they charged twice more, I just got billed again.

Delivery & Shipping

Reviewed Jan. 2, 2024

BEWARE! BEWARE! CHARGE NOT AS STATED! I purchased these devices based on AARP recommendations, and let me say these minis do not live up to their reputation! These minis are to hold a charge up to 7 days, if you are lucky you may get 3 days to a charge! I called Medical Guardian and informed them of our situation and was informed that those charging times are based on optimal network availability and doesn't take in consideration for variances such as roaming, which takes more battery usage! When you purchase these devices and don't live in a big city expect no more than 3 days to a charge! Medical Guardian stated that these devices ship from a warehouse and not tested prior to shipping! Medical Guardian replaced our devices and still no difference in charging status!

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2023

I called Medical Guardian in November to cancel my subscription and was sent an email with a form attached. Instructions were to print the form, sign it and email the signed form back to them at customerdocuments@medicalguardian.com. I did this and assumed they had cancelled my account. Did not receive any indication that my email was not sent. I noticed that there was a pending charge for December so I called them back today. I was told that they did not receive my email and was told to send my signed paper to customercare@medicalguardian.com. The person on the phone said he received it but he would have to charge me for December. Either they are giving out the wrong email address to send the cancellation letter to or they are saying that they didn't receive it so they can bill you an extra month. Either way, I consider this "shady dealings" from a company and I would not recommend them to anyone. Beware!

Customer ServiceFall DetectionStaff

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2023

Most of the people that I have talked to at this company all tell me something different and do not give out the correct information. They need to ask the right questions to make sure that the customer is getting the right device for their lifestyle. I am now on my third device and I am getting ready to send it back because the fall detection does not work on it. I paid for it but we have tested it and I’ve tested it with the company and it does not work and that is the whole reason why I ordered it was for the fall detection feature.

I am very disappointed because this company came recommended by my local ambulance company but I have been very upset that I get told something different every time I call this is one of the most expensive companies out there and it’s supposed to be one of the best but so far it has not if this watch when I get it today does not work properly like it’s supposed to I will be sending it back and this time I will be canceling altogether. I know it will be a chore getting all of my money refunded to me because I read that in the reviews but I feel like I will have no choice.

I just want something that’s going to protect me. I am only 62 years old but I have a problem in my brain that causes me to lose my balance and this is a very important feature for me to have so to have it not work on this latest watch, I God was very upsetting to me. Also, if you go with this company, keep an eye on your bill not only did I pay over $600 for a year’s annual subscription that included fall detection. I got on my account and looked at my bill and they charged me a second time for fall detection and I called them and they apologized and said that was a mistake and they were going to refund that back to me but if I had not looked at it close enough that my bill I would’ve never noticed it like a lot of seniors would not have noticed, and I would’ve been charged that money for something I did not know.

Also, if you go over this company, keep an eye on your bill not only did I pay over $600 for a year‘s annual subscription that included fall detection. I got on my account and looked at my bill and they charged me a second time for fall detection and I called them and they apologized and said that was a mistake and they were going to refund that back to me but if I had not looked at it close enough at my bill, I would’ve never noticed it like a lot of seniors would not have noticed, and I would’ve been charged that money for something I did not owe.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2023

When I went to cancel early, they said it was canceled, then I received a bill, then I called back, they said they received the letter of cancellation and it was canceled and they would back date it and I would receive a refund. Instead, I received a past due notice with threats of going to collection agency. Called back again, I wouldn't hang up until they emailed a copy of cancelation. Still should have received refund, but when I called back a week later checking status, they said the account was closed, I was issued a refund and they applied it to a bogus "past due" amount. I wouldn't trust them - beware!! As for the service, we had no need to use it in the time we had it, which was wonderful, but no way to review their response time.

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2023

The wristband on the wrist unit is poorly designed. It's difficult to put on using one hand, and almost imposible to adjust the tension. The straps are backwards. The holes should be in the same strap as the lugs. If I would have known this I would have ordered the pendant. The person who designed this has never tried to put it on.

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

My agent Donna ** was the friendliest, most helpful, thorough agent. Someone that actually seemed like a real friend. Being close to my age, she truly understood my issues. So far my equipment has functioned perfectly even though I haven't had to use it yet. Just having it gives me some peace of mind.

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

Since my purchase was a gift I requested not to be have auto renewal. One year later I get a notice I was being charged a renewal fee. I immediately got on the phone and requested charge to be halted. Verbally the Guardian representative agreed and asked me to send notification on their form. I completed and signed the form. I was still charged and now it has been reported to my Credit agencies. My 800 plus credit rating has fallen to 680. I canceled my card. I highly suggest not using such an unethical company.

Punctuality & SpeedFall Detection

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

Not the fault of the device, but she fell a soft fall out on the porch and didn't remember to use the medical alert pendant button. She was cold and weak when she was found hours later. I wonder if a temperature detection would help, she was so cold. Oddly it show a large amount of steps for the day. Perhaps a watch-type device would have been better, because she kept looking at her watch.

Customer ServiceFall Detection

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2023

My grandma has your equipment and no one on emergency contact list was notified when she fell and was on floor for 1 hour. If someone on contact list was notified we could have had someone at her place in 5 mins. My grandma should receive some sort of compensation on her account. Your company is quick to call contact list when bill is due but not when emergency!!!!

Customer ServiceDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Sept. 11, 2023

Got service for my mom and everything was fine until wrist strap broke and had to get new one. New one was of poor quality. Went to cancel service and the service is horrible where wait times are up to 30 minutes for answering calls, and they do not stop charging me until equipment is returned as well as having to pay for shipping. Can understand this to a degree, but seems like I need to cancel debit card in order to get control of what they can charge.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingFall DetectionStaff

Reviewed Sept. 11, 2023

I was in need of a device that was portable to use in case I fell. I called Medical Guardian and a very nice man answered who PROMISED me the watch would work in my area either via AT&T or Verizon. I was told I could send it back for a FULL refund. I received the watch charged it and it would NOT work! I tried calling multiple times and could not get through (over a twenty minute wait or longer). I sent it back and but did not receive a full refund. They charged me $60.45. I fought this for 2 months and ultimately lost.

This company promises the world and is a scam in my opinion! I am a senior on a limited income. I DO NOT have money to throw around over $60 for re-stoking is ABSURD! They took advantage of me and LIED. Buyer beware of this company. A friend bought me an Apple watch which works and has fall detection and connects to emergency services at a much less monthly cost and no one lied or overcharged me for a product that did not work.

Customer ServiceBillingDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2023

I returned my equipment after realizing it wasn't exactly what I wanted. It was all unused, not activated and returned in its original packaging. They couldn't find it even after I told them it had been delivered. I had to then send in a proof of delivery and n then they required my signature on some obscure form that they took 2 days to email to me. That was 7 days ago and I called a 4th time and asked to speak to a manager. Due to their rigid return policies I ended up being charged $67.29 for equipment I never even used! Ridiculous amount of effort to get my refund. Now she said it will take up to 5 more days for the refunded to our credit card. The refunded total was over $330 and I just don't trust doing business with a company that treats their prospective customers this way.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2023

Haven't had to really test it in an emergency so I can't comment on that. But I am disappointed that I have to charge it every 3 or 4 days for at least 4 hours! That is time I should be wearing it! If I fall, or something else happens during the charge time this unit isn't available. I am looking into other alternatives and may decide to return this unit and go to another provider with less or no downtime.

Customer ServiceMonitoringStaff

Reviewed July 20, 2023

Stay away from this company, one of the worst experience in my life. I signed up with free delivery charge for inactive monitor for my father who is 97 years of age and non speaking English month to month base.. Almost a week later this monitor at 2 am in the morning was alarmed dispatch during delivery, this monitor was activated either to start membership charge sooner or an honest Guardian negligence, therefore central dispatch notified police at 2.30 am,1st help team were banging at 97 years man door who doesn't speak English, my father was scared. Hide in closet for few hours till I picked him up, he thought is not safe to return for few days after I learned it was for guardian negligence, This device lost in mail and received replacement, we did not have any monitor for one month however guardian charged us from the moment signed device even though should never be charged until received and activated.

Usage of device caused numbness and statics on skin especially at night when touch soft skin, so I called and cancelled the membership. They charge us the 2nd month even though was terminated, we mail back the device and was received, I realized today they charged for 3rd time for upcoming month although they have device and received my complaint. This company deserve lawsuit and I'll be happy to join class action if someone needs me. Don't waste time, money, and be victimized by them.

Medical Guardian Company Information