2. Medical Alert Systems

4.2/5 (934 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

My daughter went on the computer and interviewed different people that sell these medical devices. She was trying to get something that would work the best for my husband and me and she found Medical Guardian. The only thing that bothers me about their device is that I hit the button when I lean over the washing machine to get my clothes out and they call me. I've done that twice. But they didn't wait to call me to see if I was okay, they called me right on the spot.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

When I first got my Medical Guardian, I tested the button to see if it works and they answered almost immediately. I just don't like the string around my neck. The device could have a softer string thing, but it's okay. Having it makes me feel secure. I'm very satisfied with my Medical Guardian.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Luckily, knock on wood, we haven't used the Medical Guardian device. My mother has been wearing it around her neck though it's not a favorite thing. The only thing is, and I guess it's ignorance on my part, I assumed she could talk into the thing that she's wearing and she would hear somebody talk. I didn't realize it's a base in the house and mom's hearing is not great. We even tested with her way up front, on the porch, like if she would’ve fallen on the porch. We tested having somebody call and she didn't hear it. The base is in the kitchen. But they said they will call her house phone if they get no response from the base. If they are calling a house phone, then that's fine. She's got one in the bedroom and another on the porch so she will obviously hear that. But she's scared that she's gonna hit something and someone's gonna be sending an ambulance and it's not needed.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I tested the Medical Guardian device a couple of times. It says test once a month, so I do. When I punch it, it takes a good while before the operator comes on and says, “May I help you?” About a minute. I would like it not to wait so long. When the reps finally answer, they're very professional. They do good. I wore a necklace but they get tangled all up around my neck at nighttime. When I slip, and if something happened, I probably couldn't have found it. I switched over to the watch and I'm wearing it. I just got two concerns with it. If I had a stroke, I probably could never reach it to push the button. And if I had a heart attack and fell to the floor, I probably could never reach it. The only time that I could see that I could reach it is if I happened to fall and couldn't get up. If you can’t reach it and push the button, then what would it do?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Everything went very well with Medical Guardian. The device has been comfortable to wear. I tested it when I first got it and the response was very good. It answered right away and they answered any questions that we had. I would vouch for Medical Guardian any day.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I'm a widow and I live alone. There was a time when I fell and spent four hours on my kitchen floor. I broke a bone in my foot, seven ribs and totally destroyed my shoulder. I knew I was gonna spend the night on the floor if I didn't do something. I scooted over to my phone and called my daughter who then called the ambulance. It's been tough since then as I am still seeing physical therapists. I got a Medical Guardian and I wouldn't go out to my porch without it. I feel better with my neck device and it's very comfortable.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

My wife died this May and I'm living all by myself now. I'm 90 years old and my kids are worried about me. So they said, “You're gonna get something so in case you fall, you can just press the button or something.” My kids told me to wear the Medical Guardian device all the time, so I do.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I'm happy with what I got right now. It did work because when that machine fell off the little table and it rang away, they called me back.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I’ve had Medical Guardian a couple of weeks and I’m not too impressed with it at all. I can't see where it's adding anything to my day. It's embarrassing to wear it in public. It flashes that light around the room at night. I may, in time, get used to it but I regret buying it. We've tested it once and they've read us loud and clear. It worked. However, I've fallen several times, and it's never detected it. I don't know how it's ever gonna help me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I am old, but I'm in good health. What got me going to get involved with the service is that I fainted some time ago. It woke me up and told me I could use something like that at that time. Now, I'm still indoctrinating myself into this program, but so far, it’s been working out fine for me. I'm doing very well and thank God I have not had to use the device.

I wanted to see how it worked and I got to read the book again. I was under the impression that when I fully charge the device, they said in the book that it lasts for three days, but I don't think it lasts that long. I had to recharge it, but I'm getting in the habit now. When I get up in the morning, I put it on charge until I see it's all red, and then I know it’s fully charged. With Medical Guardian, I have a sense of security more and I'm happy with it so far.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

We were looking for a device for my mother to wear. My dad had passed away in June and she is firmly by herself during the day. We're working on changing that but we wanted her to have something. We tried another service and it wouldn't work in her home. They live in a manufactured home. So we went online and found Medical Guardian. We saw the ratings and they had good ones. This is the reason we made the decision. We called and verified that it would work in her home. So far, so good.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Our resident wears her Medical Guardian pendant and it goes off at times and they contact us to go check on her. The service is very quick. It's within three minutes, normally, and it goes smoothly. Also, they're very professional. They even hold the line until we send someone to the room to check on the resident, which is not necessary, but they go the extra mile and say to hold on. It's very beneficial for our resident and for me. I’m the receptionist at the front desk, so I just radio the resident aide to go check on her. It’s a nice service.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Okay, perhaps as far as handling medical emergencies the product might work just fine, but canceling this service has been an ongoing nightmare. About 6 months ago I "cancelled" this service. I got it for my 70 year old mother who doesn't really need it. It was a rash decision and she told me to just go ahead and cancel, so I did. Or at least I thought I did. After a month I got a warning that it hasn't been paid. I figured it must have been a mistake, then I was bombarded with emails and voice messages. Okay, something is wrong. I call them and they tell me that I need to return the equipment to properly close the account. I told them that I live on the other coast, and with covid 19 I don't want my elderly mother standing in the line at the post office. Is there a way around this. Nope. Okay, so what do I do? Keep paying.

Fine, my mother's health is important. "Can you convert it to monthly billing?" "Sure!" Nope! I got billed for a full year. I call to complain, they refund 11 months. Okay, next month comes along, I get emails and calls again. Mind you, they have all of my credit card information which hasn't changed. They keep sending warnings as if they were my landlord and I haven't paid my bills. Just charge me! So I have to call them back, tell them to charge me, then they charge me for a year again, then I have to call them to refund 11 months.

This scenario has repeated for the first 3 months. It's beyond frustrating. Not only do I keep paying for service that is unplugged and laying in the box, I have to waste a good half an hour every month because their billing department is a mess. I finally ordered prepaid shipping boxes from USPS and I hope I will get rid of them once and for all. Still waiting for boxes, two weeks now. As people we accept that. We understand covid 19 affects everything. Too bad that Medical Guardian gives zero **.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I fell and I couldn’t remember anything. I moved home by myself so my granddaughter got me a medical alert device I could wear and then I could call. I wear it all the time here at the house. I feel comfortable wearing it. All I have to do is tell them to call my son. And if I fall or lay here and I can’t get to the phone, it would call the ambulance by itself if I don’t answer so the ambulance would come first. I feel more at peace but I think my time is about up with them. It's got one of the lights off the machine.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Previously, Judith who is in my care had a different medical alert device. She thought she wasn't gonna use it and so she turned it in. After she did that, she decided she would use one so we tried another company. We went with Medical Guardian and so far she has been wearing the device around her neck without complaints.

Original review: July 1, 2020

The Medical Guardian device was for my husband, and he has since passed away. Since I now live alone, I decided to keep it for myself to have something on hand just in case. It’s like a backup for me. I’m not having any health issues now, but it’s a comfort to me to not be alone here in the house at night. I have the device that’s plugged in here in the house. If I go somewhere, I can take that with me. I can take that with me in the car. I have the one thing that goes around my neck and the one that I could wear on my wrist which is the reason we got that it because we thought my husband might have rather had something that looked like a watch. Once we got it all set up, it was easy to set up to contact them. It had to ring a few times before they answered it, and I think it is because I’m out in the country. Our cell service is pretty good, but from time to time, there might be a glitch.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I fell on April 18th in the garage and I stayed on the floor for over 24 hours. I am 73 years old. If you live alone and you are a fall risk, get a medical alert device. I got my Medical Guardian for the house or when I'm in New York and it has worked out fine. Thank God I haven't used it.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I wear my Medical Guardian device around my neck and I feel safer with it. However, it is not very comfortable. It should be lighter.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I bought my mother a Medical Guardian device and the purchase was great. The setup and testing also went great. Their ratings were high, and the woman that I spoke with, was unbelievable. And I like that it's not tied to a telephone. That is key especially with older people if the phone's off the hook or whatever happens. When she presses this thing it goes to a cell tower and from the cell tower, it goes straight to Medical Guardian.

Original review: June 30, 2020

The representative was very informative. He answered all my questions very thoroughly. I thought it was a very smooth transition. In fact, when I got off the phone, I felt very good about it. I felt very comfortable about the services that were gonna be provided. However, several weeks ago, I canceled the Medical Guardian. We never used it. By the time we got our mother out of the hospital and the device made it to the house, she had passed away. I simply took it to the post office and returned it to sender. In fact, I spoke with Medical Guardian’s counselor this morning, and they’ve refunded my payment. I didn’t even open the box.

When I called the 800 number to try to get through to someone because I wanted to confirm that my American Express had been re-debited, I could never get through to anybody yesterday. I left a voicemail and no one called me back. I called this morning and same thing happened. When I called again this time, I chose a different menu. The last time when I finally got through to someone, I selected on the menu, “Billing Questions,” and someone picked up. But as far as speaking to a regular straight customer representative, no one ever called me back.

Original review: June 29, 2020

My husband is 90 and he’d been falling. I went on the internet and compared the different medical alert devices. I also checked what the different consumer advocacy groups had posted and Medical Guardian seemed to be the best. It came up number one in all of them that I read. For the original setup and testing, I contacted Medical Guardian's reps because I couldn't get it to go through for the initial test. They did something to it and now it's fine. My husband wears it around the neck and I feel very good about its quality.

Original review: June 29, 2020

My cardiologist told me about Medical Guardian and so far, it’s doing great. I feel safe having it and the quality is very good. I wear it into bed every night and in the shower.

Original review: June 29, 2020

My niece bought a Medical Guardian device for me. It’s hanging around my neck. I’d had 25 falls in the yard and in the house, and any place I decide to turn around to the left, I was in danger of falling. I got a couple of really hard falls. The last one urged my niece to order the device. I have wooden floors over concrete, and I turned to the left after adjusting the television, and I hit the floor and banged up the whole right side of my face, head, shoulder and hip. I was paralyzed with pain for about a month. My niece decided it was time for a device that I could ring to get help in case I was here by myself when I fall and couldn’t get up. Ordinarily, I can manage to get up, or my grandson that lives with me comes and puts two hands under my armpits and hoists me to my feet. But I feel safe with my Medical Guardian device.

It’s a little difficult to getting used to having a string around my neck because I’ve never been able to wear necklaces comfortably. I’m a former nurse and it took me years to get reconciled with the fact I had to wear a wristwatch. But I was always conscious of that, at first, hanging on me. I’m not having trouble with this alert device. It’s a soft cord. It’s not metal. It’s not glass. So, I’m doing okay.

Not long ago, I checked it to make sure it’s working first and talked to an agent. But then, a week before last week, I was putting clothes in the washing machine and had pulled a sweatshirt over my head and threw it in the washing machine, and without my knowing it, I threw the device in the washing machine also. It went through all the cycles of the washing machine. I was scared to death I had ruined the device. So, I called my son and said, “What do you think I should do?” He said, “Just punch the button and see if it works.” It works. It went through every cycle of my washing machine in warm water, and it still works great. I knew it was supposed to be semi-waterproof, but I didn’t know you could run one through all the cycles of the washing machine, and it still would work, but it does. I’m satisfied with it. It’s stood up to what it claimed that it was waterproof. It didn’t say it was washing machine-proof, so that’s a plus.

Original review: June 29, 2020

My daughter ordered Medical Guardian for me, and her name was on the bill that I got. But I called and asked them to change the name to Linda. I’m living alone, and I have essential tremor disorder. I’ve fallen several times, and I’ve been in the hospital a couple of times in rehab because of it. So, my daughter got this for me. It makes me feel better that I have it. It fastens with two magnets, and I wondered about why it wasn’t a clip. But it’s been comfortable. I’m not even aware that I’m wearing it. It just lays flat even at night in bed. People should get one, too.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I was comfortable with the monthly price. Everything that they were giving me was the same except I would have to pay three times as much with the other brands. I paid three months in advance as far as my monthly payments with Medical Guardian. That’s how reasonable it was. When we were testing the device, I didn't know that I should say something, so the ambulance came here. But they were so on top of it. I’m very pleased.

Original review: June 28, 2020

The previous medical alert device I had was junk. While I got really good service when I called their team, the unit would only hold its charge for eight hours. I went with Medical Guardian and my device from them holds its charge for a couple of days. Plus, their service equals my previous provider or may even have an edge over the previous company.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Setting up the system was very easy. They were very friendly and very knowledgeable.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I had a couple of falls in the last six months and I thought it might be time to get a medical alert device. I found Medical Guardian on the internet and I wear the device I purchased from them around my neck. I feel a little bit secure now that I have it. I also tried the device out at my son's house the other day and they came pretty close in knowing right where I was at. The only problem was they got in the wrong house, the house next door to where my son was.

Original review: June 27, 2020

We have used other services and we cannot really complain about them. We ended up moving and ended up in a different state, so we got different services.

I went with who was the first on my list and Medical Guardian took care of what I needed. The setting up was easy. When we checked it, the response they gave was good.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Medical Guardian seems appropriate for what I may need it for going forward. I wear the watch and it's perfect. The representative that I got initially to review the plan and make the decision was wonderful. His name is Jamal. Then I received the lockbox for outside, and it was the wrong code. I called to say I didn't want that code because I've already given the code to my daughter, and I wanted a lockbox with the right code. The lady told me I could set it myself. I just had to go in and follow the directions. I didn't really wanna have to do that. I spent $500. Why is that my problem? I went in and read the directions. I played and played with it and thought the amount of money that I've paid for this quality service is ridiculous. It was uncalled for. It should have been, "Yes, we made the mistake. We sent the wrong lockbox. We'll send you another one." I called and got Jamal. He said I shouldn't have to do that so he sent me a new one with the right code.

Medical Guardian Company Information