Call toll free
4.45/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1976, LifeFone has helped people live their lives safely, confidently and independently. Our state-of-the-art equipment, consumer friendly policies and caring service have earned LifeFone an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and recognition from doctors, hospitals and healthcare providers. LifeFone's equipment protects you at home and on-the-go, available with optional fall detection. 24/7 help for medical, fire or burglary.

LifeFone Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

LifeFone medical alert systems make life easier for both clients and caregivers. There is a monitoring fee, but stationary and mobile equipment is provided at no additional cost.

PROS

• Free spouse coverage
  • 30-day free trial period

CONS

• Additional services cost extra

Top LifeFone Reviews

02/11/2019

...My son wanted me to have the ability to get 911 immediately or him or anybody, so he got me the LifeFone. When I tested it, their response was immediate and the reps who came on the line were friendly... I feel safer knowing that I have it.

02/28/2019

What is LifeFone?

LifeFone is a medical alert system company that offers emergency response systems for those who spend most of their time alone. LifeFone’s home and mobile medical alert systems have nationwide cellular coverage, immediate assistance and personalized emergency care instructions. LifeFone also has options for smoke, fire and carbon monoxide monitoring services. All LifeFone monitoring centers are located in the United States and staffed with experienced personnel.

How do LifeFone medical alert systems work?

The LifeFone medical alert system is activated by pressing an emergency help button on a wearable LifeFone wristband or pendant, base station, or wall-mounted button. The alert system notifies the LifeFone monitoring station. An emergency care agent then tries to establish communication with the customer, and if the customer cannot be reached, the agent dispatches emergency services to the home.

Emergency care agents are available 24/7 to help with non-emergency situations as well. They have access to your medical history, can contact family members and caregivers, and reference your personalized care instructions to best assist you.

LifeFone medical alert systems

Traditional LifeFone medical alert systems for seniors can be customized with wall-mounted help buttons placed in high-risk areas for extra protection. The GPS-enabled mobile medical alert systems are best for those who are more active. All LifeFone medical alert systems include the option for automatic fall detection.

• At-Home Landline: A medical alert system for the home that requires a landline to operate. The equipment includes a wearable alert button and a base station with plans starting at $24.95 a month.
  • At-Home Cellular: A medical alert system for the home that comes with a base station. It includes a wearable emergency button tethered to the base station that wirelessly connects with a nationwide cellular LifeFone monitoring center. Plans start at $30.95 per month.
  • At-Home and On-The-Go GPS: An alert system that comes with a portable medical alert device, a base station, and a wearable emergency button. The mobile device is rechargeable and has built-in GPS technology. Plans start at $36.95 a month.
  • At-Home and On-The-Go GPS Necklace: An entire medical alert system in a necklace. This wearable medical alert device has two-way voice capability that protects customers in their homes and on-the-go. The necklace’s battery life is 30 days. Plans start at $39.99 per month.

LifeFone Complete Home Package

LifeFone complete home packages protect customers from the unexpected by monitoring customer safety on multiple fronts. Plans start at $42.95 a month.

• Personalized emergency care instructions: Customers and caregivers input custom care instructions for specific situations, so a call center operator can best assist the customer.
  • Carbon monoxide detection and protection: If dangerous levels of carbon monoxide are present in a customer’s house, the medical alert system sounds and immediately notifies the LifeFone call center. A call center operator assists customers accordingly.
  • Easily relocate: LifeFone systems are easily uninstalled and transferred to another residence. Placing a call to the emergency response center reactivates the system in the new location.
  • 100% lifetime warranty: A lifetime warranty backs all LifeFone equipment units for normal wear and tear.

731 LifeFone Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I did a lot of research online and LifeFone seemed to have good reviews. Also, the price was competitive. There was a lot of monitoring systems out there that people had a lot of trouble with and I didn’t see any of those types of reviews on LifeFone so, we went with them. My mom had been in the hospital and she had 24/7 care with me being here during the day and we had home health aides in the evening to stay with her. Her prognosis improved so, we went to me staying over here during the day and then she has the fall detection monitor at night to replace the folks who were coming over. The only way that I can leave in the evening is that I know she’s got that on.

I don’t live that far from her. Our instruction is to call me first if she does not respond and then, I can be over here in less than five minutes. Usually, when the monitor goes off, my mom is in bed and she said that the reps were very courteous. They would ask her if she was okay and she would tell them yes. I told her that it means that it’s working. The gentleman I talked with prior to signing on explained how the pendant worked. It has a gyroscope in there and the other thing as far as what might set it off falsely. So, that gave us a little bit more information than what we were getting just reading what was online. We got the device in the middle of November last year and I’m very satisfied at this point. I hope it stays that way.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My son and daughter-in-law both work and many times I'm here all alone. And sometimes I have a slight imbalance and I'm on oxygen all the time. So I got a medical alert device from LifeFone as a safety precaution, especially if I'm in the shower and they've already left to work. I tried it one time when we had a power outage. LifeFone's team was nice and my experience with them was good. I called them back quickly and said that it was just a test. But if you really needed help and you pushed the button, then they'd send someone to the house. I wear the device all the time except when I lay down and go to bed at night. It's comfortable and a good thing for an elderly person. We've recommended it to a neighbor and she got it since her husband passed away several months ago.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had really swollen ankles and that set me back a little bit. My legs were swollen and sore and although they are a lot better now, I wouldn’t be in my position that I am now, in terms of being very cautious, if I hadn’t had those swollen legs for such a length of time. Every once in a while, I also get cold. Then I lay down and get warm again. My daughter is kinda in charge of me and she thinks LifeFone is necessary. She thinks I should do this or I should that. So I go along with most of what she says because she does have my concerns. She speaks with the LifeFone team with me when she comes at times. And I use the device as much as I can, such as when I go out. Sometimes I forget to put it on. But she really tells me not to forget to put it on. And I’m well-satisfied. In fact, I’m feeling good about it now that I have found ways to get around. I have also told friends about it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I fell in the tub. I was leaning on the soap dish and the soap dish came out of the wall with quarter of the wall, so I fell. I didn't hurt myself but I ended up on the floor and I couldn't move. Nobody was in the house and the ones that were up here didn't hear me. I was calling for help for about over an hour. Finally, my landlady came home and I yelled for her and she came right down. The tenants came down and they wanted to pick me up. I said I didn't want anyone to pick me up but the police because the tenants all had back troubles. The police came and they got me out of the tub in no time at all. I didn't hurt anything, but it was a terrible experience. The cop said I gotta get a LifeFone because I wouldn't have waited five minutes if I had that.

Also, I got sickly after that and I ended up in the hospital. My son came and found out about it and he right away got me the LifeFone. It has been wonderful with their customer service reps and they call right away. One time, the device went off and I them I was sorry and that I didn't know what triggered it to go off. They told me to not worry about it and that as long as I was all right. They also asked if I was all right. They were very nice. Also, I fell one time and I had the phone hanging on the door. A friend of mine came in next door and I told her to get me the phone and she did. I pressed it and they came right away and they helped me up in two seconds. I never have it hanging on the door again. I wear it on my neck all the time now.

It has been working very nicely although it only works in the house. But it's no problem. I'm usually with someone when I go out and if I'm not, I'm in town or I'm with people. There are always people I know I would get help. If anyone asks about LifeFone, I would encourage them to get it. I have encouraged my friend who just called me now and she's thinking about it. She lives in the house with her daughter, but they go away sometimes and she should have it because she has a heart condition.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had a serious illness and my adult children insisted that I get a LifeFone device. I am in an adult living center and we have our emergency pole chain so I don’t need it but they feel better about it. I just have it taken out of my checking account every month and I don’t worry about it. It goes around my neck first thing in the morning and then, when I go to bed at night, it goes around my wrist. Occasionally, I forget and take it off and throw it over on the dresser and it goes, “Emergency! Emergency!” and I jump out of my skin and I push the button and say, “No, false alarm.” If I don’t get to it quickly enough, someone comes on.

Every six months or so, somebody will call and check. They would ask me to push the button, so I do. LifeFone is very good but if I’m out of my apartment and I need them, that’s just too bad because this is only for my apartment. However, if I am down there on the floor and need them, they will take care of me when I push the button.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeFone?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I lost my husband a couple of years ago and I’m still living in my home. My son wanted me to have the ability to get 911 immediately or him or anybody, so he got me the LifeFone. When I tested it, their response was immediate and the reps who came on the line were friendly. They were concerned and wanna help if they needed to. I wear the device around my neck and I don't like it very much. But I feel safer knowing that I have it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I fell so I needed to have a medical alert device. I've had LifeFone for about a year. But I don't feel that I’m gonna have to use it. I wear it around my neck but I don’t use it at night.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've had a bad experience with LifeFone. I use a walker and I have a disability situation going, and when I first got LifeFone, we got a lesser setup. Then after about a month, we changed and put in a a little larger one. But when we did get an alert, they could not find my information because they never recorded the fact that I had gone from one station to an upgraded one. So that was a problem. On top of that, the experience when dealing with their reps was very poor. At one point, a good friend went down there and they blamed her for not knowing what was going on. She went back and forth, and they had words. He was telling her she was wrong. Then she found out they had no record of the change of systems. So it turned out to be a waste of time for her to spend about 45 minutes trying to get through. The person she talked to was not very nice either and she told him that.

I also got a new watch band but I had the watch fall out of the band, which was the trouble I had with the first one. So this watch band is the same as the watch band that I sent in. With the first band, I had found the watch on the floor and the watch band without the watch on my wrist. That was the first experience. I've also been so afraid to use the other pendant because it seems like half of the time that I try to pick it up, it goes off.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I got a LifeFone because I’m home alone all day. It makes me feel that I do have help if I need it. One time, I had accidentally set it off and they checked to see if I was okay.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I live alone in a big old farmhouse out in the country. My kids got me a LifeFone. Thus far, I have had to call it once and have help come to get me up when I fell in a snowbank. I've also had their team respond when something gets tangled in the cord of the device when I'm sleeping. I try to get that undone and that makes the signal to them. I feel very comfortable with the device knowing I’ve got it.

LifeFone Accessories

With lots of accessories to choose from, plus services like medication reminders, check-in services, and smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring, LifeFone medical alert systems are highly customizable to fit a variety of lifestyles.

BEADED LANYARD

The LifeFone beaded lanyard is a long necklace designed to fit a wearable emergency help button. $21.95 each.

WALL-MOUNTED HELP BUTTON

Wall-mounted Help buttons activate the medical alert system exactly like a wearable emergency button. $39.95 each.

LEATHER CARRYING CASE

The leather case wraps around the device and secures with velcro to protect mobile alert devices. $18.95 each.

MOBILE CAR CHARGER

A car charger that charges mobile medical alert devices through a standard automobile jack. $19.95 each.

MOBILE CHARGING CRADLE

A cradle charger for a mobile medical alert device that plugs into the wall. $39.95 each.

LIFEFONE HANGING LOCKBOX

The weatherproof lockbox hangs around the front door knob and stores an extra set of house keys for emergency access. $29.95 each.

WALL-MOUNTED MASTER LOCKBOX

A weatherproof lockbox that mounts outside on a wall near the front door. $39.95 each.

HANGING MASTER LOCKBOX

A weatherproof lockbox that hangs around the front door knob with a combination lock. $39.95 each.

LifeFone caregiver tools

LifeFone also offers apps available on iPhones and Androids that provides customers with further assistance and caregiver tools.

• Daily Check-in: A LifeFone care agent calls to check in on a customer daily. The call can be used to check customer wellness, a medication reminder, or other issues.
  • Activity Assurance: A simpler check-in service available for LifeFone customers. The home base station beeps at a set time each day to check in. To confirm they received the beep, the customer presses a button on the base unit.
  • Medication reminders: A tool to remind a customer what medications to take and when to take them. The base unit notifies customers every minute for 30 minutes until the reset button is pressed. Caregivers enter medication reminders through the LifeFone Caregiver Portal.
  • Location service: A service that allows caregivers to access the location of a customer’s mobile alert device. The location service also provides caregivers information about the status of the mobile device, including low battery and the last time of activity.
  • LifeFone Mobile Alerts: An app available for iPhone and Android that provide customers with immediate assistance. The app operates like traditional medical alert devices, connecting customers to a call center operator when activated. Cell phone coordinates identify the customer’s location, and the operator dispatches emergency services.
  • LifeFone Family Guard: An app available for iPhone and Android that gives family members the ability to monitor locations in real-time. Location services cover up to three family members. The LifeFone Family Guard also has all the features included in the LifeFone Mobile Alerts — customers press the panic button on the Family Guard app to connect to a call center operator.

LifeFone FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to get a LifeFone medical alert system?
Contracts are not required to receive a LifeFone medical alert system. However, the company does require a signed service agreement outlining the terms of service.
What is LifeFone’s cancellation policy?
It doesn’t cost anything to cancel service, and it can be canceled for any reason. Refunds are issued for any unused, prepaid service once the equipment is returned. LifeFone customer service processes cancellations by phone, email, and mail.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to LifeFone monitoring service?
LifeFone coverage for a spouse is included at no additional cost for basic emergency monitoring service.
Where are LifeFone monitoring centers located?
LifeFone monitoring centers are located in New York and California.
Does LifeFone offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
A lifetime warranty covering the cost of normal wear and tear is included with all LifeFone medical alert devices. An optional protection plan is available to cover the cost of the equipment if it is lost, stolen, or damaged.
Does LifeFone offer a free trial period?
All LifeFone systems come with a 30-day free trial.
Do LifeFone medical alarm systems require a landline?
The LifeFone At-Home Landline system is the only system with a landline requirement.
Are LifeFone mobile medical alert systems waterproof?
LifeFone emergency button wristbands and pendants are waterproof. They are meant to be worn while bathing where there’s a high fall risk. LifeFone’s voice-in-pendant device is also waterproof and approved to wear in the shower.

Do we recommend LifeFone?

Yes. LifeFone reviews indicate that emergency response services are quick and reliable. Plus, spouses can get free monitoring coverage. LifeFone medical alert device products include in-home medical alert systems as well as mobile alert devices that have access to emergency care agents 24 hours a day. LifeFone has a price guarantee, so the cost doesn’t increase over time, and customers try their systems risk-free for 30 days; if unsatisfied, you can cancel anytime after for a prorated refund.

LifeFone Company Information