Formerly named Exede

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

If you are looking for internet never do Viasat. From day one never work. Only one week with the service and we are disconnecting now. Plus we have to paid. Bad bad internet slow and expensive. Bad customer service. Be aware.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

We moved into an area that doesn’t have access to any other internet providers, and had no choice but to get Viasat. This is by far the most expensive internet we’ve ever paid for to not even be able to do anything with it! My children can’t do any of their online schooling. We’ve had to get hotspots just so they can complete school work. Can’t even begin to try to work from home on this internet!

Being home during the pandemic we like to stream music and movies and shows. Let me say again, we would like to! It barely ever works. So many family movie nights we had to go somewhere and rent a movie because we can’t use our online services due to lack of data from our internet. We have the gold package. $170 package! How is it even allowed to be labeled as unlimited? I miss Spectrum. I can’t stand being forced to pay so much money for the absolute worst internet experience!!! We are stuck until this area is allowed another provider. Can you sue an internet company for stress and trauma? I hate to be so dramatic, but we are all so sick of it. I’m having to get onto children about not using internet so we can use it some other time. Ridiculous!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

We purchased Viasat internet because we had a new build and was told by ATT that it would be a good company. Guy came out, set everything up and told us we were good to go. He stated we should give it 24 hours to reach its best potential. Gave it the 24 hours and the speeds were worse than the day before. Was paying for 50gb and was getting 1 at best. Called to have a technician come out and fix the problem which this was 2 days later by now and they wanted to charge me another 90 something dollars to get it working right. We argued we would not be allowed saying that amount which the guy harassed me over and over saying I had to pay it. I ended up hanging up on him. Then called back and got someone else who told us we were covered under the 30 days and we did not have to pay to have a technician come check it out but it would be 3 days before they could do it.

They came out and said it was fixed once again and still couldn’t do anything online. Called the guy right back, he returned and drilled a hole in our wall and put another outlet in. Then checked and it was still horrible. Told us we wouldn’t get better than that. It wasn’t even close to what our contract said we would be getting. Then when I went to check the mail we noticed he had ran over 3 of our spotlights that light up our driveway. Called to cancel and to get out of the contract. They charged us another 300 and something to break the contract on Internet we never received and only had been on our property for 5 days total. So in the long run don’t get it. They charged us over 500 for service we never received.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

ViaSat is a HORRIBLE company. This company will take your money if they deliver service. They'll take your money if they don't deliver service, and they'll take your money when you no longer want their service. We were told by Viasat that the service we could get with them would be enough for the devices and use we would need. This is false. We were told that they offer unlimited data. This is also false. It's unlimited until it reaches a point (which is exactly NOT the definition of unlimited), and then you will be prioritized behind customers who have not gone over their data cap, or in other words, your service will be slowed down to the point of unusable because you reached your data cap.

If you have their largest package (which we do), you "cannot buy more data because you can not buy more of something that is unlimited". If it's sunny, rainy, snowy, cloudy, windy, or if weather exists at all well it might work or it might not, but "they can't guarantee it will work bc that's the nature of satellite". Ours is extremely spotty at best and doesn't work at all most of the time.

Oh, and you'll be locked into a 2-year contract that NOBODY told you about, and they don't have your signature for bc you in fact never signed anything, but somehow you signed a contract that you are locked into. I can't figure out the legality of that one at all, but we are in that boat, along with many others if you check out ANY reviews about this company. If you try to cancel the very expensive service you are not receiving, they will be charging $350ish for that. You'll also be charged $350ish if you don't return your equipment, which includes the satellite dish that is to be returned in a mailable box.

They have a shady business model - they make money off of their customers regardless of if they provide service, as well as when their customers want to leave their service. I am not sure in what other business it's acceptable to take people's money and not deliver on the service paid for but that's 100% what Viasat is getting away with; they lie and steal from their customers. Also, if you leave a negative review on FB they will remove it and block you, and apparently on BBB they get to have an A+ rating for their shady behavior.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I was a Viasat customer for 10 years (paying every bill and charge on time), and I would strongly advise you to avoid them if at all possible. The only other provider in our rural area is Hughes Net. T-mobile reached out to us with a hotspot deal a few months ago, and I immediately signed up, terminating our service with Viasat after three trial weeks of excellent internet with the hotspot (less than a third of the price as well). I also paid $15 to put a Stop Pay on my bank account, having read multiple times (during miserable bouts of searching the internet for other ISPs that ended in reading reviews of the company) that they continue to withdraw money from your account after service is terminated, or charge for equipment that's been returned.

The latter happened to me. I returned the equipment (worth over $300, according to the charge) a week after I received their pre-labled box (the closest UPS drop off is 30 miles away). I kept the drop off receipt, along with video of me packing the equipment into the box, and pics of the drop off. It didn't help. Viasat keeps sending me threatening emails and letters, telling me they're going to turn me into collections, even after I've spent hours on the phone and online chat with them. I have had two agents tell me they received the package two days after I mailed it - then they tell me that they have to talk to their supervisors, and the call is dropped. The other agents I've talked with told me that the investigation has been "escalated", and to call back in 3-5 days.

I did, multiple times, the last time learning they've determined I didn't return the equipment. Final answer. Despite the tracking number I gave them, despite me calling UPS, who looked up the tracking number and gave me the same time and date that they did, and affirmed that the package was returned and this is a scam - I just got another threatening letter yesterday. I called an agent, again, and they finally agreed to have a supervisor give me a callback. The supervisor was supposed to call me in half an hour. I waited outside (cell phone signal out here is weak, and I was terrified I would miss the call) for an hour and a half. No one called. I feel like a complete chump for believing anything a Viasat representative tells me. I've filed a complaint with the BBB, and am leaving reviews for other prospective customers - avoid my situation!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I've had Viasat for only 4 mo. w/ nothing but problems. They bill for services never received, takes months to get refunded then they immediately rebill again. Billing tells me they can't adjust bill?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I work for a telecom company for VoIP phones, I also manage the ISP for some of our customers. One of our customers had no choice but to get Viasat internet due to their location. It is spotty AT BEST. The connection is terrible and there were always issues. They can now get different internet at their location and we have done so.

I have tried MULTIPLE times to cancel our Viasat Services. The first time I called and spoke to someone, they said we had a $13 early term cancellation charge but it was cancelled and we were all set. Well, they did NOT cancel our account and came back to charge us for another month of service. I have tried calling MANY MANY times now and have been left on hold for at least 30 minutes every time, one time I waited over and HOUR. I also emailed their business care email address (which is what the website says to do) twice now, it's been WEEKS and I have heard NOTHING. I am sitting on hold right now actually, waiting for someone. They are HORRIBLE, DO NOT GET VIASAT.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I signed a two year commitment about 20 months ago. I have a travel trailer in a remote area that is extended stay and most people have been here 3-7 years. I took my trailer to a State Park for a week back in January and while helping someone recover through ACL surgery my travel trailer and truck both was stolen. Everything I owned was in that trailer and/or truck. I suspended the account until I could find a suitable replacement. I finally made it back to the extended stay park in June.

I have been paying for service all these months (now September soon to be November) and my account shows date used through this entire period of zero used. I have called no less than 50 times to restart my plan and there is no way to speak live to anyone in any department. I even removed my auto payment method hoping that would prompt a call but again to no response. I finally got a client support member on the phone yesterday and their policy is until you update your payment method they will not in ANY situation speak to you,.. I do not understand this.

Their service as far as fast internet works great but customer service and company policy is the worst I have ever seen with ANY company,., It is frustrating but I refuse to pay another month until I speak live with a company representative that has the authority to help me. Why pay for a service you can not use?? I would like to say this could be updated but my past experience tells me that will never happen. I would beware if Viasat ISP...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have never seen anything such as this satellite internet with Viasat. I became a customer 2 weeks ago because Satellite was my only option after we bought a home in the country. I bought the biggest and fastest plan they offered. We were coming from a metropolitan area where we had truly unlimited data with 100mps download speed, so I knew that we were going to have to adjust our usage. The largest, fastest Viasat plan that I was offered was unlimited data up to 100gb then we would be prioritized against customers not over their data allotment and download speed up to 25mps. I still don’t know what happened, but we managed to hit 100gb in 4 days! I am paying over $170 a month for this plan and now that we are over the 100gb the internet is NOT prioritized, it has slowed to a crawl. There is just enough to legally say they are providing us with service, but nothing loads, nothing!

Basically, I am paying $170 for 4 days’ worth of internet. My 2 sons are in a digital academy at home for school which requires them to log on to zoom-like meetings with the teacher and classmates and log in to do assignments. The sole purpose of the home Wi-Fi was so the kids could do their schooling. My husband and I have unlimited data phone plans, so we use that and do not log in to the kids' Wi-Fi…so how did this happen? Even Viasat could not tell me. I called them to ask how, and could they help, was there anything they could do…the foreign customer service rep was so unhelpful. He could not explain it or help me understand it. He was totally unwilling to offer to assist in any way. He spent the entire phone call listening to me rant and saying he understood.

The phone call was so unproductive that I finally ended it by asking what I had to do and how much would I have to pay to end the contract…a mere $360 and they would pay to have the equipment I rent shipped back. BEWARE…throughout the entire process of setting up service they tried to sell me other, unnecessary services. I just do not know how it is legal to take a market that has only 2 companies (Viasat & Hughesnet) as internet service providers and allow them to rob you.

My family should not be punished because we choose to move to the country. So after explaining to the customer service rep that no we do not game online, or stream endlessly, have any smart home devices, or more than 2 devices connected to the Wi-Fi at any given time he could not help me understand why we ran out of data so quickly and his best thought out plan was to tell me how I could get out of my contract. They clearly have no desire to keep customers once they get them, they just get them for as much as fast as possible before they realize they are being hosed. I will be leaving Viasat, we are setting up a cellular data plan and hotspot device in our home and it will be cheaper per month than Viasat and we will have internet the entire month.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

AWFUL company! Beware they will lie to you to get your business promising that their plan will support your needs and then when you cannot pull up a webpage state that their contract did not promise a speed but up to a certain amount. They promised speeds that should have supported streaming multiple devices and could not even support the most basic needs. Dial-up would be better. Then when you request to get out of your contract because what the sales rep promised was completely inaccurate and your internet is unusable the response is you signed a contract!

You can get out for a small fee of $300 and oh yeah climb on your roof and remove your equipment or that will be another couple hundred. The company says they are sorry that the sales team misrepresented information but tough luck, you signed a contract. Completely unethical and will lie to get your business. Stay away- dial-up is better and cheaper. Oh yeah - don’t even think to ask for the supervisor David, he is a joke and just keeps saying, "You signed a contract, it doesn’t matter what our sales rep said." Awful!! Update: I left my experience on their FB page and it was deleted. I was blocked for leaving this same exact review.

Viasat Company Information