Formerly named Exede

3.6/5 (486 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: July 17, 2021

I was a Viasat customer for 1 contract cycle. The service is slow at best, and generally poor. Buying the higher plans will result in throttling with moderate streaming. Look for 4g Unlimited Internet.

Original review: July 17, 2021

So far I have called and had 2 service appointments schedule. I have taken off work two days for these service calls in which a technician never showed up. Viasat did not contact me to reschedule, They just changes my appointment date with no notification. I called back and spoke with a supervisor who was no help. I was told that I just had to understand that they had issues with the system and that a technician would be at my home on the 19th. When I asked how I could be assured that they would show up this time, not wanting to take off from work another day and them not show, I was told that I would just have to wait. I asked for a courtesy call to verify appointment and was told that they does not do that. After 2 days taking off work and 6 calls, either on hold it hung up on, I still have not seen a technician. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY,

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My Viasat experience was a painful one, to say the least. I was a remote employee and moved to a rural area with only access to Satellite internet, so I wanted to go with the best option. I started with Viasat Home, but quickly realized I could not have internet calls, meetings or sync documents with my company. A tech came out to check the hardware and told me I should upgrade to Business as he knew that there weren't Business customers in the area and so I would have better and more consistent bandwidth. The only thing that changed is that I started paying almost $100/month more AND the 24 month contract started over (which I wasn't made aware of).

A situation arose where I had to move and was going to have a temporary hardship situation. I called to cancel and was advised of the early termination fee. I was told it would be processed immediately; it wasn't and I never received an invoice or communication, but it processed one month later. In fact, I have never received any kind of statement from them. They process the payment, send any email thanking me for the payment and then the next day they process the invoice...but don't notify me and I only see it if I log in. They also do not come to remove anything from the dish on the roof and I have been reaching out to them (3 times) explaining my situation, but they have not responded. If I ever have to go back to Satellite internet again, I will NOT go with Viasat, no matter what the circumstances are.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Speeds are slow BEFORE you reach your data cap, especially during daytime hours. Nighttime hours are actually pretty good (12am-8am) for satellite internet. There's a noticeable delay in voice only phone calls (ping rates over 900ms are expected for any satellite provider). You will generally find yourself explaining that you have satellite internet on every phone call - I personally get tired of explaining why my connection is bad, and having to repeat myself several times during the call.

With the ping rate so high, you will never game online - even though in ViaSat only tells you "some online games might not work" - ALL online games wont work. At max you need the ping below 100ms. The worst, and reason for my rating... "Unlimited" (100gb) Plan - costs $189 per month. While during the day you can expect 250 KB/s up to 1.5 MB/s speed... going over the 100gb however, I'm getting 50 KB/s speed. Repeat, 50 KB/s -- to make a comparison, SLOW dialup internet in 2000 was 56 KB/s, you could get 256 KB/s on DSL. That's DIALUP SPEEDS if you go past the 100gb plan for $189 a month. A 720p/1 hour video will cost you 1 GB of data. A 1080p/1 hour video will cost 1.5gb. 4K videos are about 7gb per hour - but you wont be streaming in 4K because you'll never get the speed to support it.

Last thing - WATCH YOUR BILL: I decided to upgrade my package to Unlimited Gold (or whatever they call it), you can do it through their app. The bill came around and they charged me double $378 for the month (I only had Unlimited speeds for a few days, since the billing period was ending soon) because I upgraded. I planned on taking a loss anyway but not two bills for the upgraded package I had for a couple days. The questionable part of that? I setup a card with a limit of $189 (price for one month). So the initial payment was denied and I manually made a single payment of $189... After I paid that, the extra bill disappeared, as if it wasn't even there. After paying $189, the bill went from $378 owed to $0 owed. Meaning they were planning on ripping me off, because only $189 was due. They were deliberately going to rip me off with a "billing error".

Original review: July 8, 2021

I scheduled services with this company but couldn't get the satellite installed on my property. I had to pay $100 deposit and every time I call to see where my refund is I either get put on hold and no one comes back, lied to or hung up on. If this company has to steal $100 how reliable are your services anyway? Your customer service is terrible and that's the easiest part of the job. I'll continue to spread negative reviews about a pathetic company that needs to steal.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Be very careful when taking service with this company. They tell you one of the benefits to using their company is not having a long-term contract. Once you try and cancel, say if you move, they charge you a cancellation fee for the contract you never had telling you that it’s not a plan with a contract but you still have to pay a cancellation fee because it’s a contract plan, because they all are. You will waste hours of your life with this company for a subpar product and horrible customer service. They were supposed to send boxes to return their equipment over a month ago, I still haven’t received anything. That will mean another call with over an hour on the phone. They are extremely difficult to deal with.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I felt I was being unfairly charged for subpar internet, so I called to get an explanation and was treated very poorly which led me to attempt to cancel service. After being transferred around the company and having to call back several times only to get to the same condescending customer service department. I thought TV satellite companies were hard to deal until dealing with Viasat. Hands down the worst customer service I've encountered. Internet speeds are also extremely slow for the cost. Very disappointing.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I returned all Viasat items via their detailed return box and UPS shipping label in February. They keep trying to charge my cc $265.94 for "missing equipment" that was in the box. They have "escalated" my complaint and I have been told that there is nothing they will do. The weight on the UPS receipt is the correct weight of all the returned items according to one of the customer service reps I spoke to. How else can I even dispute this? The weight on the receipt is all the proof I have. I kept my contract over the required 2 year contract term but they are determined to bill even more money from me. I cannot be the only person to deal with this fraud.

Original review: June 22, 2021

After 4/28/21 install could not happen, I never got my refund of $100. I followed up on 6/7/21 and was told I'd get it in 2 days and didn't. I followed up on 6/22 and still no resolution. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND EVER.

Original review: June 17, 2021

***WARNING*** Absolutely no recommendation for this internet provider. I signed up for the plan known as "unlimited" 25. Sounds simple right??? WRONG??? No plan could be further from unlimited. First of all the the plan offers the consumer 25mbps in speed for $75 a month which is very acceptable for rural areas. The problem is these speeds are not guaranteed and are subject to reduce depending on "network congestion" ((a term I heard a lot during the numerous troubleshooting calls)). I felt as though I spoke to the Viasat team more often than my own children which is crazy...

In the few months I was with Viasat I can count on one hand the number of days I could actually utilize my internet. I would call in, they would fix it, I would hang up, and then a few hours later back in the same boat. "Congestion" Occurred everyday from late afternoon till late evening. Literally everyday when I needed to use the internet it was congested and speeds would hault to the point of no use at all. At one point they told me I "ran out of data for the month"???? Really??? I mean we were 13 days into the month and I "ran out" of data in a plan called "UNLIMITED".... now they will tell you you still have unlimited data, but the truth of the matter is they slow your internet down so slow that you can't even send an email or receive a picture on your phone... so I guess technically it's "unlimited" however it limits you to no use.

I tried to exit my plan after voicing my frustrations first to a CRS, then to a Supervisor, and I ended up being charged $350 to cancel my internet with them. So here's the math. I paid $300 up from so as to not rent my modem. I paid $75 a month for internet I could not use. Then I paid $350 to cancel it. They got everything they wanted (which was my money), and I got nothing I wanted (which was functioning internet). Does this seem like an equitable trade??? Hell no.. Stay away from Viasat and DO NOT let them rob you like they did me...

Viasat Company Information