Formerly named Exede

3.6/5 (639 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: May 11, 2022

IN brief, Viasat cannot deliver any claim it provides. Easy and convenient install? NOpe. Took 4 different attempts to get service installed - well after I'd entered a service agreement! It took 3 weeks to get installed once we got the appointment, so I paid fees and costs without service. But, once it was installed, those lightning fast speeds.... AOL dialup has a new challenger. And, get this, the download/update that MUST be done before you can use your internet? 2 gigs in size, and it automatically counts against your data use! Finally, when I cancelled, I knew I was going to have to pay an early termination fee, and that was fine.

I also gave them my forwarding address so I could get the label to return their equipment. I gave them that information TWICE. Seems they had no problem charging me for termination, but getting them to send me the label THEY WANT for equipment I want to GIVE BACK shouldn't be an issue.... but here we are. Look, I truly think it's a comprehension issue. Their customer service fully understands and uses English well. They just can't comprehend what you say to them. And using smaller words does NOT help, trust me.

Original review: May 11, 2022

For $120/month service should be lightning fast all month. Instead you get 1 maybe 2 days of decent service, then they tell you you have used up all of your high speed Internet and you can buy more that will probably last 1/2 day. If you have any technical difficulties their foreign outsourced customer service doesn't know anything. It's always, "Turn the modem off for a minute then turn it back on." This company is the worst Internet service and customer service I have ever had. Will be switching to something else ASAP.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

The service was very erratic. At times it seemed to work okay and many times it was extremely slow. The time came I needed a service that would work over a VPN and this service would not work. I called just a couple days after my billing cycle, and they insisted it was their policy to charge me for the entire month despite no longer able to use their service during this period. When I asked to speak to a manager, they said it would be a long time on hold. I requested a call back and they said they do not do call backs. Pretty much the service sucks all around including their customer service. IMO - Very unethical and unprofessional, Beware!

Original review: May 4, 2022

They only option for rural internet in Hawaii, signed a 24 month contract and was always exceeding my “allowed” internet 2 days after it renewed for the month. Suffered thru until there was another option. Took them a month and a half to get me a box to return my equipment, which I dropped at Ups the next day! Fast forward 5 months later they deducted the money from my account for the equipment that they claim I never sent back! Have my receipt and proof of delivery and they are “looking” into it. Still waiting for them to credit me my money. Customer service sucks!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

We tried Viasat internet for our business as we are in a rural area with no other options. Their service was very expensive at $250/monthly and signal was nearly always bad. After cancelling and returning the equipment, nearly three months later they charged our credit card $312 for non-receipt. The rep asked us for the tracking number to verify the return (which is odd because they are the ones that provided the label affixed to the box for return). Good thing we kept the tracking information and took a photo. Now they state it will take 7-14 days to return our funds. We are not waiting. Disputing the charges today with our bank!

Original review: April 20, 2022

Viasat will bill you for your unlimited data plan but about 4 days into your cycle they inform you that you've reached 100% of your data available. But, if you'd like to buy more you absolutely can. This service is terrible, customer service is unhelpful, not even in the US. This company will continue to take money and not provide the service that they claim they provide.

Original review: April 7, 2022

We live in a rural area and was told Viasat would be the best option. They claim the package is unlimited with a cap, how is that unlimited. My modem was upgraded and not the dish so they were not communicating with each other. Was out of service for 8 days credited me $40 then turned off my service because the so-called $40 credit was showing up as past due, I then had to pay $10 to get the service back on. How do you pay on a credit? The team needs to be better trained, and you can never talk to a supervisor.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Don’t do it, if you get it when you cancel they will expect you to literally climb on your roof and take something off of the satellite that a technician literally had to come out and install for you. Keep in mind, they do not tell you this upon install nor do they send you a box with room for whatever it is off the satellite dish that they want you to remove. Absolutely a company full of rude scammers.

Original review: April 1, 2022

We were promised a speed of no less than 35mb per sec and it's NEVER BEEN MORE THAN 11 and typically it's usually 2 or 3, this is why they make you sign a contract and then charged me $15.00 a month for the months I no longer used their service. On top of it, at one time it was over $200 a month and it never worked even close to as good as they said or promised. Do not waste your time or money because they are terrible. They never even got the name on the account correct. We tried it because of the area that we live in isn't great for regular internet but this is for sure not the answer either.... a over $3,000 mistake.

Original review: March 17, 2022

My 5-or-so-year experience with Viasat/Excede tracks identically with other reviewers here:

1. Dreamy promises, seldom if ever delivered;

2. Positively abysmal--repeat: ABYSMAL--customer service via "offshore" call centers staffed by marginally English-speaking folks only capable of reciting scripts provided by the corporate wizards;

3. When the all-too-frequent outages occur, the Viasat customer is obligated to first navigate the Viasat customer service maze (see 2., above) to receive a "work order number," and then must then present that work order number to the customer service department of their "local retailer", itself of course saddled with its own issues and deficiencies. Though I live in Hawaii, the "local" retailer that Viasat assigned to me is in Alaska;

4. When the customer realizes the error of his or her ways and decides to cancel service, he or she is informed that they must climb up on their roof to dismantle the dish hardware--which Viasat installed--for return to Viasat.

Viasat's modus operandi seems emblematic of our brave new world's preference for appearance and profit over content and honesty. I would urge anyone considering Viasat as an internet provider to look elsewhere.

Viasat Company Information