1.08/5

818 Exede Satellite Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 28, 2019

Explain to me how it’s unlimited but when I reach 100g it slows down to where I can’t even use the wireless internet?!? Viasat is fraud, horrible service! I pay 167.03 a month for what?!? Not a dang thing from this mess! There is always a diagnostic problem, network outage, modem messing up! Disconnects from our devices for no apparent reason!!! If it rains or cloudy you can forget even trying to get it to work!!! Highly disappointed in this service. I also talk to customer services on the chat site, 'cause I was going to disconnect my service, the lady said that I have contract. But I’d have to call them on the phone to disconnect. So I call them and the lady was like, "Well you still have a contract with us till June 2020!!!" I was like, "The other lady said I didn’t have one." Mind you she told me I still had a contract after AFTER she had done the whole speech about the disconnects and the payment I’d have to pay!

I was like, "So I still have to pay y’all for not having your Viasat service?!?" She said, "Yes, 'cause the contract is not up." I said, "Never mind." She was like, "So do you want to cancel it?" I said, "No. That why I pay you for service if I’m not getting it?!?" She said, "Well I’m glad we came to a compromise?!?" I was like what compromise besides scamming people to stay with y’all messed up service! Can’t wait to get off it Viasat internet!!! Worst than anything else I’ve ever had!!! If anyone ask me about how does Viasat do for you? I tell them don’t waste your time and money on the mess!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

They give you a big speech about how incredible it is... they are wrong. I pay right at $150 for SLOW internet and I run out of data halfway through the month... And if you have more than one device connected... well you're done for, it won’t work. I can’t wait for my two year contract to be up. I will NEVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!!!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Exede (later known as Viasat) delivers shockingly poor internet speeds, very deceptive advertising and difficult and exhausting customer service. We had it for 18 months and were constantly buffering. Often times clocking .0025 mbps during their "Liberty Pass" times....and all too often NO service at all. We had to pay a $15 a month early disconnect fee for the remaining 6 months on our contract. We were so glad to discontinue with them...the $90 seemed worth it. The only positive was our local provider that did everything they could to help, but to no avail. Fixed wireless internet has just come to our rural area and so far we are very pleased.

Original review: April 23, 2019

When my wife and I moved to a rural part of California we decided to try cellular Internet and satellite TV. After two years we were forced to try something else. Normal computer use exceeded the cell company's unlimited limit every month and the TV dish went out of alignment (we get lots of wind). So next we tried Viasat (Exede) satellite Internet and PlayStation Vue streaming TV. We quickly found we exceeded Viasat's unlimited limit a few days before the end of each month. For the rest of the month TV was unwatchable (excessive buffering issues).

We have also seen buffering issues early in the month. Customer Service suggests rebooting the Viasat modem. Which brings us to our final comment. The Viasat modem goes belly up regularly. Which requires rebooting, a very slow process. Nothing irritates us more than have a device that can't remember what it's purpose is in life. A device that has power should be operating. We should not have to power cycle it to awaken it.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Every 4-6 months these crooks slam the data speed down to snail pace entirely, not even the two weeks of service you usually get for the month. Have called 3 times this evening just to have the same rude employee pretend to be a manager. They always have a gimmick to get you to boost up your package. 'Cause magically you use 100 Mbps in 6 days after you’ve paid them almost $200 for the month. Their scheme is they will look at your usage and tell you what is causing this issue. It’s always on you and never on them. From all these reviews I see that’s what they tell everyone. I will be canceling this crap service and they can kiss my rear if they think they’ll get another cent from me. They did say I could cancel my package now for $300 and pay to have new equipment put in, sign an new 2 year contract and gain a whopping 50 GBs that wouldn’t work either. They didn’t even offer a jar of Vaseline with that incredible offer. Scam artists!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exede Satellite Internet?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I signed up for the "Unlimited Gold" plan, based on my conversations with the Viasat sales team. I was supposed to have "up to" 50 Mbps download speeds with that package. Let me just say right now that I NEVER saw that number reflected in my actual experience. Further, I had "unlimited" service, which in reality isn't unlimited. The throttle that level of usage at 100 Gbs. So, for the past week or two, my download speeds have been .38 Mbps. Yes, that is a decimal in form of the 38. I tried to check my speeds and the speedtest.net site wouldn't even recognize that level of access. Google gave me the .38 number. I contacted support via chat, via phone, via email, and I've been assured my connection is working as expected.... In short, do NOT give your money to this company.

Original review: April 18, 2019

When it comes to Viasat Internet, it feels like a massive ploy that is simply there for you to screw you over ridiculously fast, and upon actually signing up for the WiFi, you'd be lucky to have it work for a brief period of time before practically shutting down. They advertise it as being "faster than slow DSL", yet it feels like THEY'RE slower than the stuff they say is slow. Luckily I have my phone's mobile hotspot, but even that's not enough sometimes. Anyhow, let me elaborate. When I had my original WiFi connection, (which honestly was a lot more better) I was lured into a false sense of security with the fact that when I had both connections on at the same time, they were ridiculously fast and resonated with each other perfectly. (DSL and Satellite.)

However, the day right after my original provider cut the cord with our plan, everything hit the fan and I immediately regretted the switch. Initially, I talked to one of the representatives on the phone, and they told me that Viasat would have faster download speeds, upload speeds, and ping than the DSL connection; All of which are a complete falsehood. As of right now, download speed is only 0.14 MB/s, upload speed is only 0.20 MB/s and Ping? Don't even get me started on the ping. My original DSL provider was really good with the ping department, often being in the low 83's. Viasat on the other hand has it up in the 600's if you're lucky - otherwise it's simply going to raise RIGHT UP into the 10000's. I kid you not, even playing games is impossible with how they do this. It's inhumane.

As much as I want to change back to our old DSL connection, there's a big problem with that as well since some bills are due, and if I wanted to change to the best WiFi around here, (Xfinity/Comcast) I'd need to pay a much larger bill. So at this rate I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place since I'm stuck with a trash wifi connection for practically another year. I started this back in June, for the record.

Christian,

We're sorry you've had a bad experience with Viasat service. Please email us and we can see what's causing your issues.

Original review: April 11, 2019

When we canceled our service they wanted us to retrieve and return a component from the dish atop our roof. We had 2-3 feet of snow in our yard and our roof was icy. My husband could not safely retrieve this piece until the snow and ice melted some. As we were close to spring I called Viasat and asked if we could have a few extra weeks to return the equipment. It was a hard NO.

Because they did not receive the equipment within 30 days we were charged a $300 fee ($316.50 after taxes and fees) which we were told would be refunded whence they received the equipment. Within the week we were able to safely retrieve the equipment and ship it back. I called them and notified them that it was on its way but because I refused to pay the fee within 7 days of them adding it my account was immediately referred to collections.

A few days after Viasat RECEIVED the returned equipment I called to ask why I hadn't been credited for the returned equipment. They said it takes 7-14 days for it to be scanned back in and then it would be credited to my account. Well it has now been 15 days since they RECEIVED it and I still have not been credited and I also received a collections letter for the equipment fee balance. I called and I was first told by a low-level person that the fee wasn't related to the equipment and I owed that balance. I was transferred to a manager and he said that their billing cycle was on the 12th so tomorrow I will see the credit.

This has been the WORST customer service experience I have ever had. To give a little perspective, we were also cutting Dish service at the same time and this was their way about things: "Is your dish on your roof? Yes? Okay, don't worry about retrieving that part, you don't need to return it." Not to mention that our equipment was scanned as returned the DAY that they received it. In my opinion, Viasat is an awful, greedy company that doesn't care about providing good service and certainly doesn't care about customer retention or a good reputation. They care about the dollars and will do anything they can to bleed you dry. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Hello,

Please email us with your account number, we'll take a look and see what's going on with your refund!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have had Viasat internet for about 6 months. I have the silver plan which is up to 25 megabytes per second at about $120/month. After I reach my data cap of 60 gigabytes, I essentially have no service for about 2 weeks till it refreshes on the next billing cycle. So you are essentially paying $120/month for 10 days of service. Everyone complaining on this website seems to saying the same thing. Spectrum offers internet service for about $50/monthly at much faster speeds with no data caps with 100 mps. I will be cancelling the Viasat service if it is not resolved with the FCC or regulators. And I won't pay the early termination fee. I think it's worth going to court over ($300). Apparently this business has no integrity and is only interested in profits. They have not learned that quality service is the path to success and longevity. God bless.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I currently have Viasat (soon to be 'had'), and I can tell ya, it's NOT worth it. The technicians were nice during satellite installation. On the phone representatives sounded miserable with this "I hate my job," tone). Now as far as Wi-Fi goes... they are terrible. I pay $150 which is their "gold package", with unlimited data. Sounds good right?! But no, once you hit 100 gb (Which is about 30 hours of streaming like Netflix, Amazon prime video). You're cut off. Not that you can't use your Wi-Fi, it's just now you are no longer a PRIORITY CUSTOMER, thus it will take about 3 hours to watch a 30 minute show.

I'm not exaggerating. It literally says on their internet page that other customers will have higher priority. "So...if I pay $150 because I actually use my WiFi daily and want the service that I'm paying for, I'm no longer a priority"? Yes, that's exactly what they are saying. That's like you going to your favorite coffee shop and you're a regular, waiting in line, but here walks in a new customer, well guess what? They get to cut to the front of the line and get better service than you do! Doesn't make any sense. Anyhow, I'm switching to Comcast/Xfinity. They offer 1 terabyte (which is 700 hrs of streaming, 12,000 hours of gaming or 15,000 hours of music) for $80!!! Not selling anyone on this provider but I do feel it's important to let everyone know what they are getting when you sign up for Viasat.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Signed with Wildblue in 2013. Since signup they have taken away services. Even email. They are now bare bones. Not worth the price for service, speed, connection, downtime. Quit service 4/8/19. Don't sign with them, find another provider. My service was paid till 4/15/19. They will not refund service you prepaid for. The speeds get bogged down, you get disconnected a lot. Too many times you cannot connect, because their system is down or whatever. The service is greatly affected by weather, rain, snow, means you can not connect. There are better options out there. Viasat gives bare bones service now. You get no benefits or incentives to sign with them. The last straw for me was their decision to take away the email service. They sent a letter saying to switch email over to Google Gmail. So I made the decision, I will no longer pay $50.00 a month for their service.

Switching all my email to another provider was a giant headache. Why sign with a company like this. Like I also said, they will not refund 7 days of prepaid service. They are a ripoff. Your dish is also affected by high winds. It does not take too many degrees of movement to make it go out of line with the satellite. You cannot reposition it yourself. The setting is by exact degrees. When this happens you are stuck paying a fee of more than $100.00 to have them send someone to fix it. Or you can sign on to their easy care an extra $8.99 per month, that waives a service call fee. I want to add they recently increased the easy care from $5.99 to $8.99 per month. All while taking away all benefits, including email service. So as you can see this prompted me to look for another provider and disconnect from Viasat/Exede. Pay more per month for less service is a ripoff.

Original review: April 8, 2019

If anyone needs internet, phone, etc. AVOID Viasat. Viasat (https://www.viasat.com/) has provided me with the most expensive, worst service I have been forced to settle on since April 2015. Like many in the area, I had damage from Hurricane Irma. Viasat had a contractor come to make a repair after damage from Hurricane Irma (all I needed was a new connector) Doug from JMP Communications was sent from JMP Communications (https://www.jmpcommunications.com/) and that resulted in new equipment being installed and a new contract after he said the dish was no longer good. Sadly, I have no other providers near our little farm. Long story short from this P&T disabled Army veteran, DO NOT use JMP Communications and do not use Viasat internet as a service provider. I hope this helps someone.

Hello,

I'm sorry your experience with Viasat didn't meet your expectations. If you would like to contact us directly, please email us. Be sure to include your account number so we can pull your account!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Do not fall victim to their misleading to the point of being fraudulent advertising. They are not better than "slow DSL" as their TV ads claim. They are not "super fast" for everyone as their ads claim. True they do have satisfied customers, but they are very rare. Your Viasat experience depends on your location. You have to be in an uncongested beam's sweet spot to get fast reliable service. Problem is all Viasat has to do is oversell an area to downgrade the service. Also you have to sign a 24 month contract to get service, there isn't a trial period. If your service is horrible right off the bat you are stuck paying over $300 to cancel. I was a customer for many years till I was saved by Verizon Wireless.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This wifi that Exede provides is just horrible. For the money we pay we deserve better. The ping is always high, which makes online gaming impossible. The wifi only starts to get "semi" fast at about 1:AM which is like in the middle of the night. That's ridiculous! We need to have quality internet during the day time! I want to be able to use the wifi when I am actually awake! Exede should be ashamed of themselves and fix this problem before Elon Musk's wifi comes out, because he's going to wreck people like you Exede. My overall summary of this review is: If you're going for a wifi company DO NOT pick Exede. The thing that makes this so unfair is the price should be equivalent to the quality of the wifi, not the case here. I would say it's maybe worth 20$ a month or less. Take your money else somewhere else people. You will be sorry if you get Exede... >:(

Hello,

Original review: April 7, 2019

This company claims their internet is fast but it’s not. It’s a little faster than dial up and your cell phone will be a better option. You will get suckered into a contract for 2 years and you can’t cancel after they install unless you want to pay a fortune, to do so. After installing I called and complained about the speed. Everyone I spoke to troubleshot the equipment and said “We can’t promise it will be high speed in your area or all the time." It was NEVER high speed. We kept service or lack of service for a year then canceled. Do yourself a favor use your cell phone and DO NOT use this company. Trash, trash, trash! Can’t not tell you enough - don’t do it!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I cancelled service on 3-31-2019 due to a contract change On Viasat part. Viasat offered me the option to opt out Of their service at no charge. It is unusable due to the lack of Speed downloading. I reported to my credit company that Viasat fraudulently took out $282.99 from my account after my cancellation date and I don't have an itemised justification and in their letter to me they refuse to provide. As to how Viasat came up with the figure of $282.99 when the monthly bill for 4-1-2019 had I continued service should have been $158.99 for April. I would like to point out that I bought the equipment outright (it wasn't leased). Today's date 4-2-2019. I also contacted credit card co yesterday to warn Them about this fraudulent activity about to take place.

Jeffery,

Please email us with your account information. We can take a look and see where that charge came from, as well as correct any errors.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I've been with them for a year and my bill was 170.69 per month until this month, this month it was 4510.69. That's correct. Four thousand five hundred ten dollars and 69 cents for 30 days of service. My office is open from 9 am to noon Monday thru Friday. They said the increase in activity was from midnight to 8 am. When I asked why someone didn't email or contact me said it wasn't their problem. I had to stop payment on the money they pulled out of my acct and can't wait to get them in front of a judge. These people are complete thieves and should be shut down. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. COMPLETE SCAM ARTIST!!!

Mickey,

That sounds more than excessive. Please email us with your account information and a detailed description of your experience so far. We'll see what can be done!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I’ve had ViaSat almost a month now and it’s worked a total of 2 days. Technicians have been out to fix several times and although the technicians were awesome they can’t fix the software. I don’t have poor signal. It will work for a minute or maybe 2 minutes and quit. Have to reboot numerous times a day. I’m going to cancel my service. It’s been absolutely useless.

Original review: March 24, 2019

If you're lucky you might get a couple of days at the start of your billing cycle where this actually is useable, after that forget it. Also I have their speed test software that ViaSat suggested to use to check internet speed, half the time it is so bowed up it can't find a server to use, it just keeps searching. About the same when watching a video it just comes and goes constantly with a very poor picture which actually hurts your eyes, so we just shut it off and forget it. Wish the Consumer Affairs or Better Business Bureau could help us lower income customers out and actually investigate their practices, which are totally a rip off.

Original review: March 18, 2019

After you reach your data cap, service is completely useless until the next billing cycle. Their main income source will be charging you an early termination fee for canceling your contract. Look elsewhere for better service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I’ve dealt with their service for 6 years. If I got called for work I had to drive half an hour to the office because VPN was a nonstarter. I was willing to live with that. Then, my service turned bad, really really bad. I called customer support and it turns out they changed my service without notifying me. My internet was unusable. I’m on a 3G connection now which is far superior. For 2 weeks I could maybe load 1 out of 10 websites. That’s how bad they degraded my service. I couldn’t even get their website to load to get their number. I had exceeded. No limits, we don’t stream and still they moved the goalposts. I’ll use carrier pigeons before using them again. I thought HughesNet was bad, Viasat is worse.

Paul,

Your speed issues may be a result of faulty hardware, or dish misalignment. Have you tried calling Customer Care to troubleshoot the issue?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been a customer of Viasat since April 2018. On the day of installation their installer told me that at the minimum I would receive between 1 Mb - 3 Mb download speed during heavy traffic times and after I had used up my 12 GB per month Liberty Pass allocation. From the beginning as soon as I ran out of my 12 GB, I was throttled back to 0.26 - 0.33 Mb per second. Web pages will barely load at that speed. To make this quickly, I have called their customer service line numerous times during these throttle backs. Although they went through the motions of resetting the modem it has been largely nonproductive. They have tried to get me to (upgrade) to a larger plan with the same throttle back conditions. WHY? Don't know don't care. At this point I cannot wait until I am done with them. Do not use this company!!!

Howard,

What plan are you on? The Liberty Plan speeds would be up to 1-5 Mbps after priority data.

When past your priority data, speeds may slow during peak usage times, afternoons into evenings.

If you have any questions, please email us.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We also live in a rural area and not much to choose from. The service is okay during the day but we lose the signal every night at 9 pm. The installer said there is a satellite to the east of us that is much better but he wasn't willing to set us up with it. I guess if they get their money who cares. Thank God for hotspot on my phone. We can watch our night shows on that.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had Viasat (Exede) Satellite Internet service for two years, due to the fact that I lived in a rural area (not THAT rural, but rural) and I needed high speed internet service for my business. It was without question the worst consumer experience that I've ever had. Viasat does not do much to warn you when you are exceeding your monthly data allotment (is that where the name 'Exede' comes from?), and if you aren't paying attention, you will get one hell of a whammy when they auto-deduct your bill that month.

Viasat loves bills that are auto-deducted from your bank account -- less chance that you'll notice the exorbitant bills they hit you with for data overages. Think your $150 monthly bill from Comcast is a little steep? Wait until you get smacked with a $900 bill from Viasat (quietly deducted from your account, of course) because your partner was binge watching 'Mad Men'. These guys are, in short, ripoff artists of the worst kind. Hopefully cable puts them out of business. In the meantime, buyer beware.

Hello Brian,

The only way you would have a bill that high with a residential account is to go online and purchase more data. Viasat does not automatically charge for extra data.

Please email us with your account information and we will take a look to see what's going on!

Original review: March 11, 2019

So we got the service because I have had At&t before but now they have other companies. We didn't even have the service 30 days and they want to charge $300. We don't like the service. At&t does not charge a ETF if you haven’t had the service 30 days and are unhappy.

Hello,

Unfortunately, due to the nature of installation, Viasat does not offer a trial period. However, if you email us with your account information, and a description of your experience, we will be willing to work with you!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Worst internet ever. Was promised we wouldn't be throttled due to congestion in our area, but after one week we're stuck with speeds of 0.01 for the rest of the month. Even before reduced speeds YouTube and Netflix only stream at 360p tops. It's completely unusable and now we're stuck paying for it for 2 years or $345 to disconnect. I would not recommend this service to ANYONE!

Ben,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Please email us with the details, and we'll see what can be done for you!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Didn’t work more than it did work. After 3 months fighting to get fixed gave up. Was charged over 300 bucks. They even had nerve tell me to wait a day or 2 and call back. First told me 180 to disconnect then charged me 330 bucks. Liars. Run away. You will regret using them.

Gi,

Original review: March 7, 2019

Installed and a little over a week now when I get home still can’t use it for even webpages. Reps lie about no caps when they sign you up. Apparently we went over the unlimited cap and now they say we are stuck with 0.01 speeds. Spoke with rep after rep. Sent emails to corporate and everything and nothing resolved still. Their response is you signed so you have to deal with crappy service. I have reported them to FTC and BBB and I am still waiting for a resolution. I see others mention they have no caps but in TN apparently we do. Do not sign up with them ever. Stay away. Do without if you have to.

Joshua,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with our service. You said you sent an email to corporate. did you get a case number? If you can provide that, or just send another email to us, I can take a look for you!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Worst experience ever!!!! Service was horrible and average 1.5 hour holds for retention department that did absolutely nothing!!! Bogus contract and billed for service calls in 1st 90 days!!! Told 1st service sold after install would not work, but with 1 tv or tablet only!! Upgrade a must due to low satellite signals!!! Am permanently disabled and paying 110 a month for intermittent and low service. Also techs said this was well known through the company and they were telling me to live with it or cancel!!! Could not stream anything. Continuous buffering!! Also instructed if I wanted to use internet to use between 6 pm-9 pm or not bother!!!

Then at termination after 2 mos moved and charged 95.00 for 2 houses to remove dish from roof. As in my condition cannot climb a ladder for 2 story house!!! Also multiple attempts to access my bank account without authority!! Needless to say was there 2 mos and being billed 890.00!!!! Switched to VERIZON and no issues!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! Also given appointment and techs no show!!! Can go on for hours!! Also horrible install!!

Original review: March 3, 2019

Horrible, cancelled first day, ridiculously slow internet, still charged me 120.00$ for 1st month even though I cancelled the first day, after talking with their customer service. Mean and unsympathetic personality, it was horrible.

Mark,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Viasat. Please email us with your account information, we'll see what we can do for you!

Exede Satellite Internet Company Information