1.12/5

Exede Satellite Internet Reviews

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I had dsl through the phone company for 10 years. Max 3 up and 1 down. The price kept going up and my cell reception kept getting better so I cut the cord, but, the only other internet option where I live was satellite. After doing some research including talking to some friends with satellite, I decided to give it a try. I've had it for 2 months and have no complaints. I've maxed out my plan limits (40 gb) each month and rarely see my data being "prioritized down" but, even when I do it's still as good or better than the poor dsl I had.

Weather has not had much of an effect on it. The modem went down one time and the app that you download rebooted it and everything went back to normal. I'm sure if someone had fiber/cable before the price and speed of satellite seems horrible, but, I've never had any other experience except poor dsl and dial up so to me Viasat has been great. Pray that I never experience some of the issues that have plagued so many leaving reviews on here. Good luck and God Bless to all!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I was told this would be 25 mbps. Slowed after 100 Gb. Before we hit 20 GB it was only running 3-4 mbps. After we hit 20 Gb it was .25 mbps. Now it is down to 0.01 mbps. Also just an FYI, it was installed this morning. We paid $100 deposit and covered our first $65 bill and not even 1 day and it's utterly useless. Now to cancel it we have to pay over $300 more dollars. So all said and done we got 20 GB of data for over $500.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

When I initially ordered satellite internet for my house, a technician came out and installed a satellite dish, modem, configured it to work. In a few days my internet went down and I called technical support to inquire why and what should I do to restore my internet connection. They rebooted my modem and internet went back online. This happened periodically until they taught me that I should power off my modem and power it on for it to work. So I’ve been doing that consistently once every few days. Like a prayer before each meal this has become my ritual every 2 – 5 days. Sometimes I get a lucky month where I wouldn’t need to touch it. Sometimes my modem would have its lazy week where I’d have to restart it several time per day. After 2 years this is getting to be annoying. This week is my modem’s lazy week.

Did I call before to resolve this issue? Yes, I did. Multiple times. Every time they would ask me to revisit my bellowed ritual that I am so familiar with and observe how the magic of internet coming back on would manifest itself. So, 2 years have passed. Till I decided to kick the habit and abandon this annoying ritual. I decided to give it one more go. I called Viasat technical support.

Technical support representative picked up a phone and he decided to do magic modem restart approach by doing a remote restart. It was fun to see how someone was able to do my internet modem ritual remotely. When internet came back on, I dared to inquire why do I have this ritual and how can I kick it out of my life? Tell you the truth because I’ve been doing it so many times it was scary, rather frightening to ask. I dared to resolve this problem, kick this habit out of my life once and for all.

Technical representative was a very nice and supportive guy. He informed me that “hey you know your dish is not aligned to the satellite?” “Oh… I didn’t know that! Thank you for telling me!” I was so happy! No internet shutting down completely and modem dying on me has nothing to do with the dish not pointing in the right direction. But the fact that the dish isn’t pointing in the right direction explained why every time that we had a bad day, I wouldn’t have internet. I assumed that that’s how satellite internet works but after a bit of research I found out that it should work even if a day is cloudy.

So… Now I really have 2 issues on my hand. Modem is acting up and also the dish is not pointing in the right direction. So the next logical request from my side was to get a Viasat rep to come out and fix this bad installation. Maybe swap a modem for another one that will work better. Turned out that it was an added service that’s worth around $90.00 I see. So that’s how Viasat is making extra cash. They install equipment that has defects and they point dish just slightly off so that they can come out, charge additional fee and make things right. NO. This is fraud. I hope you will take this letter seriously and fix our internet issues. If not, I will make sure that this case gets maximum exposure not only on social media but also in the PA Office of Attorney General.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I got Viasat for internet and it is not good for streaming or anything else. The internet slows down when you reach your package that you pick. I had 35mg for 119.00 when I went over it slowed down. When weather was bad it wouldn't work. The commercial they have are all lies. I went to cancel and I asked them about my last payment. They said you pay a month ahead and I would get a refund. They connected me with a 2nd person and I told them I was canceling the internet. And I asked them if I could use the refund to pay on the canceling the internet. They told me I wasn't getting a refund. They ended up keeping what refund I would of gotten. I ended up paying the cancelation fee. They are liars and thieves. They don't care. Anyone looking for internet don't use viasat. You can't trust them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Viasat pretends to offer high speed wifi, 'up to 25 megabytes', they say. However, and if you're lucky, the high speed is based on an ethernet connection to their strictly into their modem. As far as wifi is concerned, good luck if you get 3 to 7 megabytes per second on the download. Oh yeah, they offer an unlimited amount for a hefty price: but, oops, if you go over their secret limit, good luck. Once you go over their limits you're at landline speeds. Worst of the worst I have ever experienced. Gonna report them on Yelp, Google and any where else it might hurt their ** business lies about unlimited service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exede Satellite Internet?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

You and DirecTV have a so-called bundle package that was assigned to me through DirecTV. I'm here to inform you that there is no such thing as a bundle package. Your technician came out and installed a separate dish in my yard that yes I told him that was fine. He activate the service and have me sign onto the tablet. My understanding was that is was to verify that the work was done and completed. I did not receive or sign anything that determines I'm under any contact. So happens I'm under a 2yr contract with very poor service, and I'm being informed from YOUR representative over the phone that the plan I have, unlimited bronze 12 is a low-grade package and for better service I need to move up to the next level and it will cost me $100 a month. My reply to your rep is why should I pay for what I have now plus $30 for service that's nothing but substandard.

Like I said Viasat was not a choice or option. This is something that you and DirecTV have used to promote together. No bundle discount, poor service (dial up internet), don't even know what the cost of service is. I'm truly unsatisfied with the customer service and snake in the grass way of suckering citizens into a 2 yr contact. $70 dollars for slow internet and $100 for standard service. Your company is not one that will be endorsed by me.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

DO NOT PURCHASE VIASAT SERVICE! I have experienced the absolute worst customer service. I have never had anywhere near 1 MB of download or upload speed. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! This company is happy to collect $170 from me every month, but when I need tech support because my internet is not working the only response I get is "I'm sorry you are experiencing Technical issues but I can't help you further". This company has been getting away with treating their customer's horribly for way too long, something needs to be done.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I started out with this company when it was still Wildblue.net. In the passing years all was well. Then a few years ago, Exede took over and then not long after that, ViaSat took over. Still no problems until recently. I was not able to receive or send emails from people I emailed with on a regular basis. I called and spoke to four different people at four different times. I found out today, 11/1/2019 that my email address at Wildblue.net is no longer working as an email address!! NO WONDER I couldn't get emails or send emails to the people I email with on a regular basis!! The last person I spoke with told me to set up a gmail account for my emails and keep ViaSat as my internet provider!!!! Oh me...I saw red when he told me that...of all the nerve!! Keep an internet service I could no longer use and then set up a free email service at the same time!! NOOOO WAY!!

I got this internet service from the time they started out and no one told me that Wildblue had been shut down at all, even though I think I remember seeing something about the email service going down, but can't find that info anymore. I have tried to stop my automatic payments for all this time I did not have email service, but can find no way to do it. Something tells me they already figured out how to keep this from happening. I want this month credited to my account and terminate my services effective as soon as possible!! I am copying this review to send to ViaSat as soon as I can contact them so they see that not every person will put up with this kind of thing going on with them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

This has been the WORST experience! We moved out to the country and really had no choice at the time so had to go with then Exede. Our internet was slow, we were promised unlimited night minutes but wouldn’t get them, it was very expensive over $150/month, installer cut some lines in our home he shouldn’t have. We were never reimbursed, customer service was terrible, when we finally canceled service they expected us to climb on the roof and remove and return the dish ourselves! Run as far away from them as you can! At this point I’d rather not have internet at all!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

In April 2019 my family was forced out of our home by a total-loss fire. We were fortunate to have someplace to go temporarily while we went through the rebuilding process, as my family had a vacant property in the area. However, the only internet option there was Viasat/Exede. I called them, explaining our situation and that I knew we would not be in the home even close to two years, and was there a 12-month contract or month-to-month option. They said a month-to-month plan required a $300 deposit (exactly the same amount as their early termination fee). So we signed the 24 month contract, knowing we would be terminating well before.

We moved into our new home within one week of our bill being paid in August. I called to cancel and asked if we would be pro-rated that amount. We were told no. We terminated the contract and paid the $300 fee. Viasat sent a box for us to return our equipment. We had retrieved the modem/power cord/ethernet cable during our move so those were easy enough to send back. However, Viasat requires you send back a box off of their satellite as well. I felt this was ridiculous but went up to the property to see about removing it. I could not get it off of the satellite, so I asked my landlord to try. He could not retrieve it either.

So I called Viasat and explained the situation. They were, as before, completely useless. I had to pay to have a tech come out and remove the box off of the satellite. However, I no longer live near the property so would not be there for the removal. My landlord agreed to be there for the tech appointment, and I proceeded to send back the rest of the items in the provided box to ensure they went back to the company.

During the appointment, the tech told the landlord that we had to send the box back with the other items, even though 1.) he works for the company and 2.) they knew I was sending the rest back. I refused to take the box back - if it does not get to the company it will be the technician's fault. AVOID this company at all cost. Their service is overpriced, under-performs, and their customer service doesn't exist. Additionally, you are almost forced to use autopay and have to contact them directly to remove your information from their files, even after you cancel your contract. BEWARE!

Exede Satellite Internet Company Information