1.09/5

799 Exede Satellite Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

After you reach your data cap, service is completely useless until the next billing cycle. Their main income source will be charging you an early termination fee for canceling your contract. Look elsewhere for better service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I’ve dealt with their service for 6 years. If I got called for work I had to drive half an hour to the office because VPN was a nonstarter. I was willing to live with that. Then, my service turned bad, really really bad. I called customer support and it turns out they changed my service without notifying me. My internet was unusable. I’m on a 3G connection now which is far superior. For 2 weeks I could maybe load 1 out of 10 websites. That’s how bad they degraded my service. I couldn’t even get their website to load to get their number. I had exceeded. No limits, we don’t stream and still they moved the goalposts. I’ll use carrier pigeons before using them again. I thought HughesNet was bad, Viasat is worse.

Paul,

Your speed issues may be a result of faulty hardware, or dish misalignment. Have you tried calling Customer Care at 855-463-9333 to troubleshoot the issue?

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been a customer of Viasat since April 2018. On the day of installation their installer told me that at the minimum I would receive between 1 Mb - 3 Mb download speed during heavy traffic times and after I had used up my 12 GB per month Liberty Pass allocation. From the beginning as soon as I ran out of my 12 GB, I was throttled back to 0.26 - 0.33 Mb per second. Web pages will barely load at that speed. To make this quickly, I have called their customer service line numerous times during these throttle backs. Although they went through the motions of resetting the modem it has been largely nonproductive. They have tried to get me to (upgrade) to a larger plan with the same throttle back conditions. WHY? Don't know don't care. At this point I cannot wait until I am done with them. Do not use this company!!!

Howard,

What plan are you on? The Liberty Plan speeds would be up to 1-5 Mbps after priority data.

When past your priority data, speeds may slow during peak usage times, afternoons into evenings.

If you have any questions, please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We also live in a rural area and not much to choose from. The service is okay during the day but we lose the signal every night at 9 pm. The installer said there is a satellite to the east of us that is much better but he wasn't willing to set us up with it. I guess if they get their money who cares. Thank God for hotspot on my phone. We can watch our night shows on that.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 12, 2019

I had Viasat (Exede) Satellite Internet service for two years, due to the fact that I lived in a rural area (not THAT rural, but rural) and I needed high speed internet service for my business. It was without question the worst consumer experience that I've ever had. Viasat does not do much to warn you when you are exceeding your monthly data allotment (is that where the name 'Exede' comes from?), and if you aren't paying attention, you will get one hell of a whammy when they auto-deduct your bill that month.

Viasat loves bills that are auto-deducted from your bank account -- less chance that you'll notice the exorbitant bills they hit you with for data overages. Think your $150 monthly bill from Comcast is a little steep? Wait until you get smacked with a $900 bill from Viasat (quietly deducted from your account, of course) because your partner was binge watching 'Mad Men'. These guys are, in short, ripoff artists of the worst kind. Hopefully cable puts them out of business. In the meantime, buyer beware.

Hello Brian,

The only way you would have a bill that high with a residential account is to go online and purchase more data. Viasat does not automatically charge for extra data.

Please email us with your account information and we will take a look to see what's going on!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exede Satellite Internet?

Original review: March 11, 2019

So we got the service because I have had At&t before but now they have other companies. We didn't even have the service 30 days and they want to charge $300. We don't like the service. At&t does not charge a ETF if you haven’t had the service 30 days and are unhappy.

Hello,

Unfortunately, due to the nature of installation, Viasat does not offer a trial period. However, if you email us with your account information, and a description of your experience, we will be willing to work with you!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Worst internet ever. Was promised we wouldn't be throttled due to congestion in our area, but after one week we're stuck with speeds of 0.01 for the rest of the month. Even before reduced speeds YouTube and Netflix only stream at 360p tops. It's completely unusable and now we're stuck paying for it for 2 years or $345 to disconnect. I would not recommend this service to ANYONE!

Ben,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Please email us with the details, and we'll see what can be done for you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 8, 2019

Didn’t work more than it did work. After 3 months fighting to get fixed gave up. Was charged over 300 bucks. They even had nerve tell me to wait a day or 2 and call back. First told me 180 to disconnect then charged me 330 bucks. Liars. Run away. You will regret using them.

Gi,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 7, 2019

Installed and a little over a week now when I get home still can’t use it for even webpages. Reps lie about no caps when they sign you up. Apparently we went over the unlimited cap and now they say we are stuck with 0.01 speeds. Spoke with rep after rep. Sent emails to corporate and everything and nothing resolved still. Their response is you signed so you have to deal with crappy service. I have reported them to FTC and BBB and I am still waiting for a resolution. I see others mention they have no caps but in TN apparently we do. Do not sign up with them ever. Stay away. Do without if you have to.

Joshua,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with our service. You said you sent an email to corporate. did you get a case number? If you can provide that, or just send another email to us, I can take a look for you!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Worst experience ever!!!! Service was horrible and average 1.5 hour holds for retention department that did absolutely nothing!!! Bogus contract and billed for service calls in 1st 90 days!!! Told 1st service sold after install would not work, but with 1 tv or tablet only!! Upgrade a must due to low satellite signals!!! Am permanently disabled and paying 110 a month for intermittent and low service. Also techs said this was well known through the company and they were telling me to live with it or cancel!!! Could not stream anything. Continuous buffering!! Also instructed if I wanted to use internet to use between 6 pm-9 pm or not bother!!!

Then at termination after 2 mos moved and charged 95.00 for 2 houses to remove dish from roof. As in my condition cannot climb a ladder for 2 story house!!! Also multiple attempts to access my bank account without authority!! Needless to say was there 2 mos and being billed 890.00!!!! Switched to VERIZON and no issues!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! Also given appointment and techs no show!!! Can go on for hours!! Also horrible install!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2019

Horrible, cancelled first day, ridiculously slow internet, still charged me 120.00$ for 1st month even though I cancelled the first day, after talking with their customer service. Mean and unsympathetic personality, it was horrible.

Mark,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Viasat. Please email us with your account information, we'll see what we can do for you!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Have been an Exede/Viasat satellite internet customer for several years. About one year ago we updated to their Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps plan: Unlimited data (although speeds "prioritized" after 150 GB/mo) and speeds up to 25 Mbps. Was very satisfied, never saw a slowdown. About a month ago Viasat sent out a letter on their "updated policies" explaining that 25 Mbps was a mean speed and speeds might be lower during busy evening hours, balanced by higher speeds at off hours; and data usage could be prioritized after 150 GB/mo. No price change.

This morning, 6AM-noon, download speeds have been around 1 Mbps or less; even though we have used only one tenth of our data cap, and it's certainly not a high congestion period. Actually took over five minutes just to download my own data usage from their website. Spoke with customer service tech and he offered a "new" data plan under the same name, 60% price increase, with a lower prioritized data cap, lower speeds. I.E. less for $60 more per month. Apparently a "corporate" decision. Apparently also "corporate" has no integrity, honesty, or appreciation for loyal customers. Steer clear. Back to Hughes.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I signed up for Exede over a year ago and it’s declined every month since. I have the best plan they offer but since they have decided to sign up every human possible without upgrading their capacity it’s gotten to the point where I can’t stream anything. I have to go someplace where I can get internet and download whatever I want to watch. Forget about trying to watch Hulu. This is outrageous for paying over $100 a month for nothing. I believe they should be sued for breach of contract. Especially after reading comments that they are holding people to a contract that they aren’t abiding by. I’m going to cancel my service tomorrow and if they don’t let me out of my contract and refund my payment I’ll be seeing an attorney.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I thought I would try this satellite phone and internet, but it was the worst mistake I ever made. When I was on the phone with the customer service to set up the service they made it sound so good and told me I would have 30 days to cancel if I didn't like the service. Well when it came time to have it set up the tech was professional but he said he was having a hard time setting it up since they had my name incorrect when it was first set up and he said I would have to call to have my name corrected later. Within the first day I was having problems with the service so I called and after 45 mins of troubleshooting they said they need to send a tech back. He came and fixed the problem so I thought and within 1 day I was on the phone with customer service again.

They told me I would have to pay $95 for the tech to come back out. I said I haven't even had this service for 1 week. I said I want to cancel this service and the rep said, "We can waive the $95 fee this time." I said no if I'm have this many problems in the first week I don't want to deal with this for 2 years. He said I will get charged an early termination fee. I said I was told I have 30 days to cancel and he said that is not true. I said I want to just cancel this service and I will notify the BBB. Which I did and then they said I would have to only pay half of the early termination fee of $180. I am still going to fight this all the way and I would recommend everybody to not even deal with this company

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Viasat (Exede) is absolutely the worst company ever. My service will go in and out constantly, especially after my new month of data begins. I have tried explaining the situation and they seem to not understand what I am talking about. I pay good money for very ** service and incompetent representatives. If we had other options where we live we would have a different provider. Also we have had them for over 2 years and recently asked if they had any promotions and the reply I got was "Not for current customers" in my experience with other companies customers who have been with them a certain time you are eligible for a promotion of some sort.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My service has been at a very slow drag for 2 weeks now, a tech was sent out but he could not fix the alignment because there was snow on my roof (understandable) but when I placed the original call, there was no snow but they could not get a tech out for almost a week. The tech tells me that he'll come back when there is no snow, which was today. But now he says that he can't come out until next week. It's supposed to snow again for 3 days straight. I work from home and my son is home-schooled and I also attend college classes online.

I called customer service and asked for a discount since I am without service now for 2 weeks. I asked a minimum of 7 times if I could speak to a manager/supervisor with the first tech, he kept apologizing and after 22 minutes on the phone, our call was disconnected. I called back and asked again for a supervisor at least 3 times, after 18 more minutes I finally got a supervisor who stated that he could not give me a discount since I have had service. (Poor service) nonetheless service.

I cannot work or do schoolwork and neither can my son because the service is so slow. I was speaking with him for approximately 2 minutes before the call was disconnected again. No one ever called me back even though they asked for my call back number. This service costs over $100 a month and I cannot use it and apparently hanging up on customers is their resolution to the problems. I don't have any comparable options for service in my mountain area so for the time being, I am stuck with this terrible and expensive service. It seems completely unfair.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had my Viasat installed last Saturday, the techs are nice and good. But the service is really bad. We tried watching Youtube the same day it was installed and it keeps on buffering. Netflix does the same thing too and it is pixelated (even I have Netflix HD). We can't even watch from my son’s iPad. I was never told about the 24 month contract so when I call to cancel it they are saying I need to pay ETF like $15/month and they will not prorate anything if I cancel it today. What’s worst is when they disclosed about returning the equipment they told me I need to also remove something from the satellite dish. (Woooooah it is more than 20ft) How will I do that. I don’t have any issues trying the service but having poor connection is something we can’t take. That is like paying for nothing. I have kids and we all need internet service.

L,

If you're on one of the Liberty plans, try turning off the Video Data Extender by going to https://account.viasat.com. This should improve your video quality. Also, set Netflix and YouTube to automatic video quality.

If you have decided to disconnect, we can work with you further, just email us.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased Viasat internet yesterday. I had no service from the time the technician got done my TV just buffered. I called Viasat. They said unplug it for 30 seconds. Plug it back in. Nothing happens. 8 hours later I was told I had used up all of my usage so they told me the only way to go was to up my usage so I'll just ask to be released from their service. But they said because of the contract I'm stuck with a $350 bill. People do not get Viasat internet. They are no good. A total ripoff.

Levell,

We're sorry to hear of your experience with our service. Please email us and we will work with you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was with Exede/Viasat for almost 2 yr. Had some problems but overall not bad for what it is sat internet. I cancelled my service with them due to moving and that rep was very helpful. Until I never received a box to send their stuff back in. I called and was told they would send a different box which I never received. In the meantime this company took 317.00 out of my account for not returning the equipment. I then again call them just to find out that they sent both boxes to my old address. So I am out 317.00 till I get a box from them for the equipment.

I receive the box finally in another 7 days. I box their equipment up and drive 22 miles to a UPS store. Get a tracking number and it seems off. I check UPS tracking a few days later and it was delivered. So I call Viasat just to be told they have not checked it in over 24 hr after they had received in according to UPS time. I again call 8 hrs later just to be told that it had been checked in and my refund would be out in 7-14 days. So at this point they have had my money because of their mess up for three weeks and by the time I get it it will be well over a month. So to sum it up run and I mean run fast and hard away from Viasat. When it was Exede much better company. Viasat is a con that hopes they have people that don't pay attention to their bank accounts.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

(Viasat, formerly Exede). I have been without internet for a week tomorrow and had a service call scheduled for today. I took a half day off work when I have few hours left to use. The technician called with an hour left of my 3 hour scheduled maintenance window and told me he was 90 minutes away and wouldn't be able to make it out today. He didn't even pretend he was sorry for my time lost and the inconvenience, and seemed a little baffled that I couldn't just miss work again tomorrow. I now have to ask a family member to let the tech in three days from now, when the next appointment time is available. By then I will have been without internet for ten days!

Like most customers of Viasat, I live in a rural area and have chosen the best internet option of those few available to me. I usually have no complaints about the internet service, other than the price, but I am quite angry about the behavior of the technician Viasat assigned to my service call. This guy wasted my time and money, wasn't the least bit sorry or sympathetic, and gave Viasat a bad name. I will now be far less likely to recommend Viasat to others. With more and more utility coops bringing broadband to rural communities in the next couple of years, Viasat better step up their service game and offer more for the money, or they will lose customers left and right.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

According to Viasat, we exceed data usage within a day or two of a new billing cycle and they reduce our speeds dramatically. We've called support a number of times and they report that we have a Bittorrent running. That is ridiculous as there are no file sharing programs on our computers. We went so far as to turn off our machines and disconnect the modem for several days and they still report data usage. It is expensive and we are not at all happy with this company. It is our only choice as we live in a very rural area.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This is the worst Internet service I have ever had. Constant outages and customer service is horrible. They cannot even schedule a service call correctly. I was down multiple time during the day. They sent a technician and he couldn't correct the problem. I work from home and I had been down a week.

Resolution response: Feb. 7, 2019

This issue has been resolved as of 2/4/19. Thank you for expediting this issue.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Be aware! If you don't read the fine print you could be in for a lot of unexpected charges. My 80 year old mother was signed up for a Viasat contract without being made aware of early termination fees. I spoke with 2 different representatives and each had totally different responses. There was no notice of an overdue acct until we received a letter from a collection agency. The first representative, Elisa, said no balance was due and "don't worry about the collections agency letter". The 2nd representative said $410.95 was due for early termination and for one piece of equipment that wasn't returned because it was still on the roof of my 80 year old mother's home she no longer owned. Please be aware when dealing with this company! They have no compassion on who they trick into signing their contracts!

Glen,

Please have your mother email us. I'd like to take a look and see what we can do to assist her.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I had Viasat Internet installed yesterday at noon... By 5:00 pm, I had NO service. Went through the typical “reboot” over and over but would lose connection within 15 seconds each time, then it just stopped. This morning it came back up for a few seconds, then down again. (I started with a great 75 mbps and dropped to 2 mbps then 0.) I needed up canceling my service and of course they charged me an additional $345 to break the contract. In the end, I got 5 hours of service for over $400. I had to select one “star”, because they didn’t offer less. Good luck if you're thinking about using this service.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I live in a rural community, therefore had no CHOICE in Internet service for my laptop. Originally Wild Blue, then Exede, now Viasat. In 2014 we had no complaints. Then 2016 things started to get really slow. Then these past couple years DATA has been turned down on the 22nd of every month, where you can not watch a small video clip even. My bill is due on the 6th of each month. It is automatic paid thru bank, so never late with payment.

On the 22nd of every month my DATA is turned down, nearly off. Pop ups on pages say I have used all my DATA but have option to purchase more. I go with my fella on truck runs coast to coast, sometimes I am only home a few days out of the month. The message is always the same on the 22nd. And my DATA is nearly shut off. They are not honest. I hope someday another Internet Carrier comes to this area. I would never recommend this company. I am turning them in to Better Business Bureau and Fair Trade acts commission as well. We are now paying $60.00 a month for 16 days of service. To me, this is consumer theft!

Hello Jill,

Please email us so we may look into your account and see what's causing the usage.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

They literally took $94 out-of-market in wife's account and rejected the internet service and they want us to pay another $94 again after taking 94 bucks allergy count in the first place to me but is bull or BS. You understand where I'm coming from. They're nothing but thieves taking money from my wife's Social Security. They don't have no heart at all.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

We started with Wild Blue, then Exede bought them out, then Viasat bought them out. Viasat had horrible customer service, hung up on us multiple times, and had no desire to answer our questions. Viasat changed our contract terms including the price without notice. The advertised speed is not what was received. In fact, we couldn't reach the internet at all whenever there were clouds, bad weather, or for no obvious reason. They refused to send anyone out to service the system when it didn't work. When I removed the equipment to return it (since they refused to do so) it was difficult to even get a return address to return the equipment. I strongly encourage you to try to get any other provider for your internet service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY AS AN INTERNET PROVIDER... Since day 1 our satellite internet has been AWFUL! I switched my cable company because of a better rate and told them I also needed internet. The rep said Viasat was the only internet company in my area that worked with their cable company so I stupidly signed up. I just got done chatting with a rep and she told me we are only allowed 35 GB/month and if we go over that then they prioritize other customers service before ours then told me I would have to upgrade my service and pay $100-$150/month. I told the rep when I signed up exactly what I used internet for and this is what I got. If I could give them a zero rating I would.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had bad service and very expensive but you can't get much out in the country. I should have used Verizon hotspot. I moved and moved my service but was not told it would be new contract all over. I told them the customer service person I spoke with did not tell me I would have a brand new contract. They said, "Sorry we have to train them better."

Finally got the chance to get AT&T - so much better and a lot less. I returned my equipment to Viasat and then they turn me over to a credit collection company saying I didn't return my equipment and early termination fee and the credit collection company they use charges $135.00 just to handle the bill. I call and give them the dates that the equipment was returned and they said they believe me but it will take 7 to 10 days to correct and that I can call the collection agency and tell them. Please if at all possible do not use them and please tell everyone not to use them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I signed up with Exede (now Viasat) back in 2014 because it was literally the only service available in my extremely rural area. To that end, this is the ONLY circumstance in which I can recommend them. If I could even get a cellular hotspot, I would prefer it. Their service is expensive, it is slow, their customer service and maintenance network is truly awful, but the worst thing about them is their sneaky weasel speak advertisements.

They promise speeds and reliability which they don't deliver, and they claim "no hard caps," which is only half-truth. During busy times of the day, expect massive slowdowns, and if you hit your meager monthly allotment of data, your service is throttled to sub-dialup speeds, if that. It's essentially unusable, so I am forced to limit myself to a strict diet of only 300 megabytes per day, which is less than many youtube videos or a single game update. It's like being forced to breathe through a drinking straw -- technically you are getting air, but it's not enough to survive.

On top of that, all service is funneled through their own private server-side proxies, allowing them to interrupt your service with obnoxious interstitials asking you to buy more data, to cripple any traffic they like on a whim (even SSL connections) and block VPN traffic outright. This proxy also triggers many website anti-bot security measures, because your service appears to redirect so many times through consolidated portals that you look like a spammer or security risk.

Rather than focus on rural customers, they offer better plans and lower prices to urban areas with other options such as fiber or cable, in an attempt to appear competitive. If you live in an area only serviceable by satellite, they will hang you out to dry. If you have ANY alternative to their satellite service, I desperately recommend you take it.

Exede Satellite Internet Company Information