Formerly named Exede

3.5/5 (506 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I canceled service with them due to a separation from my husband and they charged me an early disconnection fee that I paid. Then they told me I would receive an equipment box to send back the equipment, but I was told that the piece on the actual satellite dish that they install would be retrieved by one of their technicians in the area, no problem.

I moved away and sent back the equipment with the box they gave me and now months later they charged my account stating I never returned the equipment and that their notes on the account say I told them I'm not responsible for the equipment and don't have to return it, which is an outright lie! I returned what they told me to return and now they are changing their words, saying I had to remove the piece of their satellite dish and send back as well. I can't reach the satellite and I don't know how to remove anything from it. I told them that's not my job and they said they would send someone out to remove it.

They have the worst customer service I've ever had to deal with and do not care about their customers. The supervisor I spoke with this morning by the name of Alain and wouldn't give me his last name or his boss's name until he finally told me. He was very dismissive of me. I paid them a lot of money when I had service with them and their service was horrible! I paid for the highest tier in order to work from home and I had to end up driving back into the office over an hour away during the pandemic.

This company has caused me so much stress and it's been several months since they last threatened to charge me for the equipment that I already returned! I have already put a complaint in with the BBB and of course Viasat told them I was rightfully being charged back then too, but they never charged me. Months later I wake up today to a $267 from them. How dare they do this to me when I did what they told me to do and returned the equipment in the box provided.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

My ViaSat modem died so I call for a service appointment; this is after I spent an hour talking to technical support who finally agreed the modem stopped working. The service call was scheduled for within five days. On the fifth day, their field technical sent me a text stating that he doesn't have any equipment and would have to reschedule for another 5-day wait; silly of me to think a satellite internet company would have a spare modem around somewhere. I called Viasat to confirm this and said that I have no scheduled date for a service call. At this point, I am trying to restrain myself from pulling out the remaining few hairs on my head.

As it stands now, they have no equipment available and it's undermined when they will have the equipment and subsequently provide me with a service call. Fortunately, I recently received my Starlink package which works wonderfully, not even a hiccup setting it up. So whenever ViaSat has availability to service my location, I will use them as a backup ISP. But if you are searching for a new ISP provider, STAY AWAY FROM VIASAT!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I would give 0 stars for this review but the system will not take it. So they automatically get 1 star. Let me explain how these crooks do business. First, I've been a customer of Viasat for over 6 years. I've been on auto pay since the beginning so I've never had a past due bill. Beware, should you ever need to cancel their service, you must do it prior to your billing date. They will not disconnect your service in the middle of the month, unless you are past due. I called to cancel service because I have no use for it anymore now that my employer will no longer let me work from home.

I attempted to cancel in the middle of my billing cycle, and they refuse to disconnect and prorate the "pre-paid" month. They said it's in the fine print of the disconnection disclosure. I asked why they did not disclose this when I agreed to my contract and again said, because it's part of the disconnection disclosure. I asked for persons in higher positions that could make that decision, and wasn't able to get above manager level. I find this business practice extremely poor, unclear, and dishonest. I pray this eventually lands in court with a class action law firm. I would love to be part of that.

Without hesitation, I would recommend never placing your account on auto pay. The service is ok when comparing satellite internet service. It's slow - like all of them. The only one that's much faster and has no data caps is Starlink by SpaceX. Oh and Starlink only charges you for what you order. Disconnect whenever you want. Furthermore. I've been on a Viasat plan for years now that they no longer offer. It was to be a locked in price. Although they did honor that, my speeds dropped in the last two years. After several calls to Viasat about the lower speeds, I was told that my speeds are being throttled back because they want me to go on a new plan ($80.00 more a month to get the same speed and data I'm currently locked in to receive). Again - not very honest.

In conclusion, if you can't get any other internet, I guess this company will do in a pinch - but you better be careful cause this company has very slippery hands and will put it to you the first chance they get. If you're looking for fair internet service with a high price and shady customer service - this company is for you. If you're looking for exceptional satellite speeds at a reasonable price with excellent customer service, you should reach out and check Starlink. Even their RV service is faster and currently available without a wait, not to mention for just $10/month you can take the service with you wherever you go.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

On the initial call the representative stated that it would be $69.99 for the internet service and failed to mention that this was only a 3 month promo and after it would cost $99.99 per month! Then they charged me for Phone service and easy care plan that I had not asked for or been made aware of which added another $30 to the monthly bill. For a spotty service that caps you at 60GB and gives you lower speed after, it's horrible and the only thing keeping me is the 2 year contract cancelation penalty!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Had Viasat installed in the second week of July. Day after it Was installed I called them because of the slow speeds and not being able to connect and when it did all it did was buffer see a few seconds back to buffering. In three days 60 gig was used and we never was able to get a usable connection. My son had to get a hotel room in order to work because you wasn't able to get a continuous connection to work from our house while visiting. Customer service is a the worst. They cannot deliver what they promise.

Don't waste your money or time on their internet services because it does not work as promised. They lock you out of your payment method so you cannot change it so they can charge your card for the first month's bill (117.21) and then another 323.18 with no bill or explanation. I called billing and asked for a copy of the bill and was told after 45 minutes on the phone that management approved my request for a copy of the bill but it would still take 7 to 14 days to email a copy of that 323.18 bill. They are a scam and customer service is a joke. Wish I would have researched them on this site and the BBB first.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I purchased the system in October of 2020. Did not do a lease, which I am now regretting. Paid about $95/month after all charges for the most basic Bronze plan. Speeds are amazingly slow at all times, anytime of the month. Most of the time we can barely stream, lots of loading. That is on a good day. We've used this service both for business (I'm an engineer) and streaming. Decided to switch to a cellular-based hotspot. The difference is incredible and it costs roughly 1/3 the price as Viasat. Here is why they are only getting 1 star: When I cancelled, they want me to return all the equipment I supposedly "purchased" or pay $300 which was how much I purchased everything for!!!! What??? And, $60 cancellation fee... What? I don't even have a contract because I paid for my service.

Clincher is they offered $50 off for 12 months when I tried to cancel... I refused. Then, they asked if I wanted to "hibernate" my account for $10/month. What?!?! Absolute ripoff in my opinion. I should have gone with HughesNet or any other service. Big NOTE: My Verizon hotspot will work pretty much anywhere there is some type of cell signal. Even 1 bar works. And they have antennas to help get a better signal.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

ViaSat promises you the best thing since the slice of bread up front but the delivery of service, quality of product and overall speeds for the price is absolute **. Don't even think about signing up. This company is doomed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Just had Viasat installed 7/7/22. Our plan is Unlimited Silver with 60GB of high speed & Unlimited Standard speed data. We had the "Data Extender" turned on since the start so, according to their website the streaming should have been at the standard 480P and not the 720P High speed data. I called to ask why they say I used up all my 60gb of data in the first 10 days. The answer I got was that 80% of the high speed data was used on streaming. I think this data extender is untrue and **. They are taking advantage of the customers so they can sell more data. In my opinion, that is cheating the customer. Make no mistake, they control everything. It's designed to sell more data. We live in a rural area and only have a couple of internet options. I regret signing a 2 year agreement.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Someone needs to hold this LYING THIVING Company accountable. We have Viasat Internet where we live (rural area). We do not have many things that are allowed to be on the ViaSat Wi-Fi. Everything (basically two TVs and a phone), the TVs are through Roku only which has data saver on running at 480 and 720 and are not ever running at the same time (we unplug them from the power cord); the phone has no apps but YouTube which is at the lowest quality with no updating or background allowed. These devices are never really ran because we work quite a few hours a day and when ran we do not watch anything that would have to be watched in high quality like 4k; all are completely disconnected from the Wi-Fi (to which the ViaSat App says nothing is on Wi-Fi); yet it still continues to somehow drain 10gb of data as we are not home.

Every time they up their Plans they up the amount of data they say we use per day without just cause. I truly think they price gouge for rural areas and that they lie to the regards of how much data is actually being used per day to their customers. Something needs to be done about this. I have called multiple times without any resolution. It is always a repeat of the same answers. They say devices that are fully disconnected from the power source and tv drained the data.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

The connectivity is basic at best. The customer service is pathetic. You get locked into a 24 month contract and are expected to wait until the end of your billing cycle to schedule a paid (95 USD) technician visit to uninstall/return the equipment. Please save your money and time.

Viasat Company Information