Formerly named Exede

3.3/5 (501 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

The bill has gone from $84 a month to 120 to 174 in just 5 months. The wifi is nearly unusable and after a certain amount is used it doesn't work at all. I only use it for wifi cameras and occasionally browsing on my phone. With that I am lucky to get 2 weeks of wifi. But even then it is very very slow. And of course if it rains it does not work.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Bought a house in rural area. This is my third attempt at getting internet service. They assured me of being able to text, send and receive phone calls and stream tv. None of that has been true. I needed to call the police once-and couldn't. No service. Texts don't send. I'm constantly rebooting just to try to get a text to send.

Their customer service is terrible. They charged me $387 to install it-though the told me $300. I haven't had it a month yet and I'm driving to town to be able to call them to try to get them to take care of this. They won't do a service call for less than $95- though IMO they didn't set it up right to begin with. It's so bad I'm seriously considering selling the house I bought six weeks ago. Oh and...nothing but sunny days-it's not the weather.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Beware Viasat internet service, especially if you live remote in the country. Fine and dandy and eager with service to get you in to service--watch out trying to get OUT. First, due to remoteness in the Mendocino County, California area, few techies want to go at the meager pay they get to remove your satellite equipment, the receiver, the modem, the power cable. In my experience NONE wanted to deal with it.

I spent three days trying to get Viasat to respond to my end of service and removal of equipment. I was continually run around, not just by the robot answering system. There was no continuity on the problem. Yes, they'd get someone there, they said. "What if you don't," I asked. "We will," they said. "We'll call you tomorrow the details." Tomorrow came more than once with NO call whatever. Meanwhile, my timeline to getting out was shortening. Further, somehow thru the process I was told that if I did not return their equipment I'd be up for 300 bucks in extra charges. BUT they could not supply a techie to do the job--why? Because I was remote and no techie was getting enough out of viasat to do the job. What did viasat do? Delayed and obfuscated.

Next, I took matters into my own hands. "I would remove the equipment myself,' I said, and was then told, "Okay, we'll send you a recovery box, so take that stuff with you and then return it when you get there." I did this. Have had it lugged along and waiting for the recovery box. But ... no recovery box. So now, why folks? What's going on. "Oh, your equipment was so old you can throw it in the trash" is the answer. Meanwhile I paid out a guy 200 bucks to get the stuff down for me so I could send it. I'm out the bucks plus the day after day hassle. So I say if you're out there in the outback somewhere, as I was, eighteen miles from civilization, beware these people long on getting you in and very short on getting you out. Plus frankly, I paid way too much for way too little GB monthly. Go back to Viasat? No way.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Viasat has not been the best company to work with. Firstly, they lied to me about their internet speeds. I always had a slow connection and connectivity issues. Very frustrating when you have a college bound teen in the house who needs the service for at home schooling. Secondly, once I cancelled the service, I was not told at all about all the equipment that needed to be returned. I returned everything except one piece that I couldn’t get to because I’m 55 and can’t climb onto the 3rd story of my former house so I’m stuck with a $164 bill. Viasat customer support was rude and cold. Would not recommended.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Viasat is SCAMMING you! Like other reviewers I have found Viasat to be extremely lacking in service with many of the same complaints and disfunction. Unfortunately, like others, my choices were limited to non-existent. My internet needs are fairly low so without other options I gave it a try. I went with the “Silver” plan with a 60 Gig allotment. The main use for me was to stream music, retrieve email, listen to Podcasts, do a little surfing and shopping on Amazon (all low bandwidth functions). I don’t stream movies or download anything significant so 60 Gigs was more than enough (or so I thought). I was hoping the service would be good enough to allow for wi-fi calling with my iPhone, but alas the high latency made it unusable for that. It was able to send and receive my text messaging just fine so that along with email became my main way to communicate with the rest of the world.

I’ve been on the service for a year now. At first I never even bothered to check the online usage meter as it shouldn’t have even been a concern for my intended usage given 60 Gigs. Based on data I’ve used with other providers such as Comcast and other local ISPs 10 Gigs would be more than enough for me. Wow was I wrong! Not that I used more data than that, but that the plan would be sufficient. I quickly found their so called “meter” was for me off by at least a factor of 10. If I used 400 megabytes they would register 4 gigs. It was ridiculous. They showed me blowing through my 60 gigs in usually a couple of weeks even though I knew for a fact I hadn’t used anything close to that. So it would go into slow-mode after a couple of weeks. I basically just put up with it as even at their super-slow mode I could listen to a podcast. So I just put up with it. Once you go into their slow-down mode it is as bad or worse than dial-up. Next to useless.

They have a complete scam going on with their data plans. It is my opinion they have way oversold what they can provide in terms of bandwidth and so to compensate they “fix” the meter and actually provide half or less of what they promise. This isn’t just supposition. As far as the data usage it is actually fairly easy to monitor. My mesh network router system has very nice usage software for the router. It lists every single device (I have about a dozen) and what it is using, speed, performance etc. along with totals and sub-totals for any given period of time. It logs all the details. It reports back to me just about what I thought and expected. It won’t allow anything to join the network without my approval, so there aren’t any devices that I am not aware of gobbling up data as Viasat would like to have me believe. However, because the usage amounts were so egregiously different than what Viasat said I was using I wanted to confirm.

I installed another software package (PeakHour 4, for Mac) to monitor everything on my network. Then I set up a baseline and manually downloaded specific files that are known. It gave me real-life speeds, times, amounts, usages, quality etc of these downloads. Next I calculated stream rates and speeds for my music streaming service (Apple Music Service) I confirmed streaming usage from the Music service. Apple streams at 256 kbps consistently which is 115.2 megabytes per hour or 1 gig in 8.7 hours of constant streaming. Both my usage meters returned the same results as did my manual calculations. I am 100% completely confident in my usage.

My results. I won’t bore you with all the details but through the first 7 days of my usage period I have used an actual amount of of 2.1 gigs as reported by all my software logs and manual calculations. They all agree within a meg. I will add that I turned off or disconnected all devices other than my phone and laptop to ensure consistency and any unknowns that might sneak in. Viasat reported in the same period that I have used 34.6 gigs. (off and over-reported by a factor of 16). What a joke. I can stream a couple of hours of music and they will report back 5 gigs. As “Andrew of Holt” writes in his remarks “I consider Viasat's billing practices to be sneaky, underhanded deceptive and bordering on criminal.”

What are you going to do? Viasat makes all kinds of promises but doesn’t deliver. They actually knowingly cheat their customers with their usage reporting. I don’t mean this as a passing comment, they actually are committing fraud on a wholesale basis. I’m guessing they couldn’t stay in business otherwise and obviously in time services such as Starlink will come along and put them out of business. Not soon enough. I’ve considered starting up a class action lawsuit but that takes a lot of time and money and they know it. They know there isn’t much that will happen to them with these practices so they continue with them. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Several complaints and one decent one.... The bill has constantly gone up since we signed a 2 year contract in March from 120 to 170 with no good explanation really.... We specifically requested NO landline but we were issued a phone number and paid for it for a couple of months before we noticed we had one and had to call 4 times to request to have the landline removed from our account, each time telling us they had removed it and we're gonna issue a refund... Which of course they did not.... And we still have the landline on our account, it's just the most miserable experience dealing with their customer service....

Finally enough was enough and we paid the early termination fee to get out of our contract.... The lone decent thing I will say is from about midnight to 5 a.m the speeds are fairly fast.... During the day it's insanely slow.... All in all I'm sure not everyone will have the negative experience we did but I would definitely tell someone to make absolute sure they are paying for what they signed up for if they go with Viasat.... We didn't and it cost us 50 dollars more per month and the price of early termination.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Service is horrible, from installation to service calls, which has been done by the same husband and wife team. Rudest people I have been forced to work with. They would not let me out of 2 yr. contract, which I have now fulfilled.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I live in a small town rural area. I used to have Dish as my internet provider but they only offered 2 mbps as the highest plan. I wanted more speed, so I searched online and found Viasat. I got their highest plan Unlimited Platinum 100. I paid $214 monthly for a service that was always having outages and super slow. But I tried to give it a chance so I waited a few months. Still annoyed with how many outages and slowness, I decided to downgrade my plan to their lowest plan. When I changed it, it went to never having internet even when I only have one device “connected”.

After waiting another month with the lowest plan, I had enough. I decided to cancel my service because I was literally just spending $214 for nothing. They didn’t even offer to waive the early termination fee even after I told them how the service never worked. I had to pay an ETA of $270, but I already had $148 in my account because remember I was paying $214 monthly. So my total for the ETA is $121. Lol Cheaper to cancel this plan than how much I was originally paying. What a joke. They tried to offer a discount for only 6 months LOL. Don’t get this service if you live in Mammoth, AZ. You’re better off flushing down your money down the toilet because that’s essentially what I did with Viasat. I lasted 6 months, the agent that disconnected my account started to talk super fast after I agreed to pay the ETA, ignoring what I was saying and hung up lol. I am disgusted with myself for wasting that much money on this service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I purchased Viasat's internet product because the wife and kids need to do school while I work over the feeble CenturyLink DSL connection at 8mbs. While the speed of their highest rated plan with 100GB of data is more than acceptable we find ourselves still running out of data at the end of the month - even with all streaming running over the DSL connection. My kids know that after school gaming also runs better over the CenturyLink DSL connection.

To their credit their service has never been unavailable - yet. What concerns me most though is that the price of the plan has skyrocketed from the original $120 to $178 for the current billing month. Either United Fiber or Starlink will make it to my door soon and when one does I know that I will pay through the nose to cancel Viasat but then I'll never look back. I consider Viasat's billing practices to be sneaky, underhanded deceptive and bordering on criminal.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

If you have any possible option avoid this company. Installation was a joke, they no showed/no called two separate times, when the first tech was there he barely looked around and said it wouldn't work (that was a week before I was moving in and working from home... on the Viasat internet we had had scheduled for a month or so when they ghosted us twice), when I started asking more questions about why he 'double checked' and realized that we could, in fact, install the internet, but that it would need to be a post in the front yard instead of the roof (so he wouldn't have the mats and I would have to reschedule installation). Unsightly and kind of a pain, but acceptable if it got us internet.

The second installer arrived a week or two later and had no problem putting it on the roof, sounds like the first guy just didn't want to waste his time. Internet was pretty poor, ANY sort of cloud cover or weather basically cut it off completely. Then there is the price. They absolutely gouged people throughout the pandemic because they knew people were often having to work from home and had to shell out. We paid $180 a month (we had the second tier), they jumped our price up 20% the second month of our service. I called when we moved to see about moving our service (we were moving to another place in the country) and she said they would end our contract and re-start it.

It is a two year contract, and you pay $15 per month for each month unused when you break the contract. She also said they couldn't guarantee pricing, she would have to check for my area. I asked her to check (the new place is like two miles from the place I was using Viasat), she checked and said the top tier was $150 a month. So. They were overcharging me $30+ a month for a smaller data cap. After that I checked every possible option to drop this godawful company, we eventually added a hotspot through AT&T and it is a quarter the price. We canceled our service, we have 30 days to return things to the company, but evidently their material and instructions take 2 weeks to arrive. 100% would suggest avoiding Viasat.

Viasat Company Information