Formerly named Exede

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I do not write reviews. In fact I really try to be positive. But this company made me extremely upset. The service itself is not that great. The installer even came to our house and talked trash about the company they work for. We would have internet sometimes during the eight months that I had ViaSat. The worst of it came when I moved out of state from Florida to Kentucky. I can't really go into too much detail except that this company will lie to you. They will tell you what they're going to do for you and say have a nice day and then you've got to call back the next week or two and ask them to get it done again. ViaSat is not an honest company. They're all about just getting people to sign up. Please to avoid the headaches. Just find another internet provider.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I have been a customer of Viasat since it was Wildblue. WildBlue, Exede, and now Viasat. When it was Wildblue I believe they were trying to give customers in rural areas something better. I had been with Hughes Net and the switch to Wildblue was positive. Then came Exede where I was paying $150.00 for 3Mbps download. That wasn’t great, but something. They changed their plans and I received the same service with 150 GB for $75. Then they became Viasat. They put a new satellite up and said they have newer, better, faster, very much more expensive service. And the equipment is Soooo much better. So, I finally gave in and switched when they were running a special that stated if you buy the highest two tiers of service, you will not be throttled.

So, I bought the highest service at $200.00 per month. Now I know the state of the art equipment makes sure that they throttle you at the exact second you hit your 150 GB. I have been throttled to below 1 Mbps every month. I am supposedly paying for a speed of 100MBps download and 3 Mbps upload. Speeds can vary they say. Today was my first day of service this month and I have spent 2 GB trying to stream a single show for 4 hours. Amazingly, at 11:25 pm the streaming suddenly opened up. Viasat said we were getting 35 Mbps download for the past four hours and a third party said we were getting 603kbps. Less than 1 Mbps download speed. Don’t worry, when you run out of GB you are welcome to buy more for a hefty fee.

They made 2 billion last year hiking prices and throttling customers. Even though I am 5 month into this plan, and they don’t allow you to go back to an old plan, because they know they are adding to their bottom line at the expense of each and every customer who moves from the Exede plan or moves to Viasat from Hughes Net. I will be moving to Starlink if they give half of what they are looking to offer. That seems like a company who initially wants to help people. Cable is $35. Viasat top tier $200 for 1 to 10Mbps, while boasting it’s up to 100.

Starlink is trying to give its satellite customers the cable experience for a reasonable price of $80. They are running a beta test through the end of this year and already have 700,000 people wanting to join. That’s how bad these two Companies have been. And that’s just the people who are aware that this is coming. My suggestion is to keep what you have for 5 more months and switch to Starlink when it becomes available. If you are with Exede, DON'T MOVE TO VIASAT, unless you want to pay more than double the price for the exact same service.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2020

This is a horrible company that charged us for installation, monthly service and won't stop or waive any fees though we only had their device installed for 11 days and nothing the technician did would make it upload data. We have numerous screen-shots of no data transfer and I've talked to several representatives of the company who have gone so far as to put me on "hold" and then cough into the phone for several minutes to get me to go away. They flat-out deny that we had service calls to try and get it working and blame us completely for their incompetence.

Original review: July 26, 2020

Viasat service. As a longtime customer, since Mar 2008, of WildBlue, Exede and now Viasat I am highly disappointed with your service. I have been very patient most of the time when my level of service was not what I was paying for because of weather, hardware failure or other causes. But as of this past Sunday July 12 2020 for some reason you have throttled down my speed from an average of low 20’s to 2 or 4 mbps. I have measured and logged my download speeds three times a day, AM, noon, PM every day since 2017.

I contacted your customer service and was redirected to a tech person. Basically, I was told my equipment was working fine but the slow speed was a result of COVID. I’m not a rocket scientist but I know COVID has been with us since Mar of this year. It did not start Sun when my service made a drastic change. You made a change that has drastically reduced my service. Now either put me back where I was before Sun or If this is the new norm, I would expect an adjustment on my billing to reflect the level of service I’m now receiving. Just a thought, why is it that your company thinks it’s OK to keep changing the terms of our original contract by degrading the service and not adjusting the cost to the customer? Unhappy Customer.

Original review: July 25, 2020

Please do not go with this company. We just moved here and needed internet. I got recommended to this service. I told the guy my needs and how we're retired and on social security. Well he gouged us to death, put us in a 2 year contract even after I paid the installment fee up front... Not supposed to do that. It was like he was going for a huge commission. I told him we had unlimited in California. The plan he gave me, he lied and said it was unlimited... It was 32 gb. I told him I'll go through that in no time... He rudely said I was wrong, MAM! I called another agent and he said I was taken advantage of and lied to. I called a manager and canceled within 24 hours.

Today I get a retaliation letter saying I'm being denied because of bad credit naming 4 incorrect reasons that are completely and 100 percent untrue. I'm getting involved with their corporate office. A get even tactic to someone who was going to get reamed by this company? I'd stay away and save yourself the indignity and injustice I have to deal with. I will see this to the end... The mere fact that greedy associate was going to take advantage of 2 retired older people on social security... That associate told me rest assured that all was well and hoped I had a better next week. Sounds intentional to me. I did tell manager about what he did... Not right. Then I get this letter...

Original review: July 23, 2020

On a bottle of beer the letters ABV mean alcohol by volume. I think they should also be used for Anything But Viasat. It would take an hour or more to watch a television program that was 30 minutes in length. Audio and video would be out of sync, so a woman would be speaking with a man's voice, and vice-versa. The connection would frequently drop, and this was most inconvenient when in an online meeting.

My wife called and told a Viasat employee we'd be terminating our service. She was told we'd have to pay $210 due to the early termination of our contract. She was then, in the last couple of days, charged the monthly fee, and had to threaten recourse to legal action and a complaint to the BBB in order to terminate our contract according to the terms she'd been told by the employee with whom she initially spoke. The employee did not disconnect our service prior to the next billing cycle. We were paying $218 per month. Do not, do not, do not use Viasat!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I called Viasat to replace Hughesnet and to get faster speed. The Technician came to install Viasat equipment and the modem he installed didn't work so he tried another one and it didn't work so he tried a third one and it worked. Worked all of 4 days. I called on a Sunday to schedule a service technician to fix the problem as soon as possible and I was informed he would be out Thursday. I wasn't too happy about that seeing how I had to be certified with my employer on Sunday to get paid on Tuesday. I'm Working from home due to the Coronavirus. Service Technician never showed up or called. Not only was the speed slower than Hughesnet they billed me twice for one month. I called Hughesnet and they came out the next day and installed equipment and got me back on line in no time. I did get the money that they charged twice for that month back. Only to charge me $334.00 for canceling my contract early for the service they could not provide.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Worst internet ever. My internet freezes all the time and I have to reset. This makes it very difficult to work from home or stream. I have also been informed that tech may have damaged my air conditioning line. I was promised over the phone that I would have a price lock if I set up auto pay and Viasat has increased my price from 90 to 110. Very expensive for poor service and I have a clear view no satellite blockage. They make it very difficult to get out of their service. Do not get this service!

Original review: July 15, 2020

I live in an area that is not serviced by the local cable company so I signed up for internet service provider Viasat and I signed up for their "fastest" service (most expensive) with "unlimited data." That was my first mistake. I had to sign a long-term and expensive contract. Shortly after getting the service started I realized that the service was slow - very slow - and that it would drop connection often. So slow that I couldn't use Netflix or Firestick to stream. Email downloading was painfully slow. And then they "de-prioritized me. Just another term for throttling. I got fed up and actually paid several hundred dollars just to get out of my contract with them. I now have the direct wireless service and it is so much better. My opinion is that if you have a choice don't go with Viasat. You'll regret it.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Please for your own sake, do not purchase a contract with Viasat. My experience was awful. I was guaranteed that this internet would be sufficient for myself and my wife who are both working from home. We were so pleased with what the salesman had to say that we paid for the Gold package. Within only 2 weeks of service, several hours of technical assistance, it still came to a screeching halt in regards to providing any sort of internet. I currently can’t even open a single small email. The solution that the technician offered is that another technician could come check out our internet in 9 days. So are we not supposed to work for 9 days? So then they still charge us 400 dollars for an early termination.

Viasat Company Information