1.03/5

Last updated: April 9, 2018

694 Exede Satellite Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 9, 2018

I have never done this before, but we are experiencing such an extreme case of poor service that I feel I must spread the word. Please share as far and as wide as you are willing to share. Here you go: Whatever you do, do not sign up for internet service with Viasat/Exede/Wild Blue. Even if you live in a rural area and need internet service, find a different option. I know Hughes Net is out there -- they cannot possibly be worse than the Viasat companies I listed above.

First off, the service itself fails miserably and daily. And making matters worse, they have the worst customer service I have ever encountered in any business. On top of all that, this is one of these companies where it is impossible to get an escalation up to someone who might possibly be in a position to help... The first responders will simply NOT allow you to talk to anyone else. They just hang up on you rather than escalate. Call again, get a different person, get the same result. I pay over $160/month for INTERNET ONLY. And most days, it barely works. I have been far, far too patient.

Original review: April 9, 2018

ViaSat formerly Exede and WildBlue internet services is a communications company that provide satellite internet services. The agent that I spoke to that sold me the package that I ended up buying stated that if I decided to cancel my service there would be no disconnect fee. Long story short after months of getting the runaround from representatives when I tried to cancel service I ultimately ended up paying almost $500 just to stop having any affiliation with this company. If you are a subscriber to this service expect to pay dearly for less than mediocre connection. They are going to assure you that this is fast enough to play online video games but I promise you it may be fast enough to run love action at all. Ultimately I do not recommend this company. I have found them to be liars and crooks but apparently I'm not the only one.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

This is the worst internet company that I have ever worked with. They are money hungry jerks that do not care about their customers whatsoever. They do not provide the promised service and will not refund for the service that is not provided. When you are finally tired of them charging you for not providing internet, they load on unwaivable disconnect fees after it has already been disconnected. This is the biggest SCAM. DO NOT FALL FOR IT, especially if you live in a rural area.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The company cuts you off at 40, 60 or 100 Gig. The speed is never supposed to fall below 5 even after you hit mad Gig. This is a lie. I hit my Max and I am only connecting at .23. Call tech support and they give you a complete runaround. Then try to sell you more data. A complete scam but I am now under a 2 year contract or pay up. Not recommended service for anybody. I live in the country and have 2 choices. 3 MBPS through CenturyLink or this one.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I recently moved to Florida and was offered WiFi from Viasat, poorest service I have ever had, can't watch a movie or anything without it buffering, Netflix, YouTube, all buffers. Called the company, they are rude and said if I want to get out of their service it will be $360.00. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exede Satellite Internet?

Original review: March 22, 2018

My Exede monthly bill is $65.79. On Mar. 5th they deducted 65.79 four times. As of today they have not refunded MY money as requested, and won't give me a straight answer when it will refunded. This is the 2nd time in 6 months that this has happened. Very dishonest company.

Original review: March 21, 2018

UNLIMITED DATA... READ THE FINE PRINT!!! On the Unlimited Bronze, Silver, and Gold service plans, are 40, 60, or 100 GB of data usage, respectively, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion. All plans require 24 month commitment and $10/month equipment lease fee and are subject to taxes. Speeds and video streaming quality are "up to," are not guaranteed and may vary. Service is not available in all areas. After the 100GB IT CIST 9.99 per GB, that's not unlimited data or a fair data rate either. Beware of deceptive advertising! You've been warned.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I recently moved to Punta Gorda Florida, I ordered DirecTV, they asked if I wanted wifi for 39.00 dollars a month, sounded good, then they installed Viasat. The service sucks, then I got a bill for $79.00, I called right away, they said I will have to pay $300.00 to drop them. I have never seen such a scam.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I will go ahead and put it out there. I am a route tech for a pest control company with a 5 star rating. Today Tues 3/12 we had an appointment scheduled for 4pm. The appointment time frame was 2-5 with the account noted that we do not get home till 345, 4pm would be safer time. So 1245pm the guys show up. They call Mike and say we need to get inside. Mike said appointment time is 2-5 and the account was noted that I will not get home until 345pm. My brother lives next door and the baby sitter was in and out but since they assured us that they would be here for 4 p.m. install we didn't tell anybody to hang out at the house. Plus my brother have things to do on his day off and the babysitter was at the park with the kids.

Now if they would have said, "We can't do the 4. It's going to be between 2 and 5." then we would have made arrangements but being that they were accommodating us with our schedule and making the account notated for 4 p.m. for install. Well no. Dude gets attitude. He wants the inside. He can't get inside so he says he'll go ahead and do the outside install and then he would be back Thursday for the rest of the inside install.

Just a question. Why would we have to drop everything to make sure that these guys got into the house hours early from our original appointment time. So Mike tries to explain to him again that he wasn't supposed to be at our house until 4 pm. He wanted to argue then Mike calls office talks to the person in the office. They talk to a manager. They can't do anything to get this right. Today is Tuesday but they are sure that service would be done Thursday. Well since we had the appointment for Tuesday we were looking forward to the install on Tuesday. Well they just lost a customer and I would not recommend dealing with such a unprofessional company.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I had recently gotten DirecTV though Star Satellite who misled me to believe that the internet service I needed was part of DirecTV. This person came and installed the service and left. I then find out that it was Viasat internet. I complained that their speeds would not work with features of my DirecTV and it would cost me more for the speeds I needed to make it work. It will now cost me $240 to stop this service and get one that works.

Original review: March 11, 2018

VIASAT, Exede, Blue Star - I signed up for VIASAT on Feb 28, 2018. I cancelled service on March 5 2018, due to very slow or no internet service. After being told to expect a 300 plus early termination fee, I complained to The Better Business Bureau in my state as well as in Colorado. This seemed to get their attention. I received an email from BBB stating that VIASAT agreed to waive the termination fee. So my advice to everyone here is to contact BBB to get these scam artist to stop ripping people off.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Viasat service and contract - The service they say they offer is not reliable. The speeds don't even allow us to open up a webpage on the internet with buffering. Forget about streaming any media. Within a week of installing we had no internet service at all. Had to have technicians out for no service. Then we called customer service and we're not given any contact information to cancel. We have only had service under 30 days and they said they would charge us $350 to cancel the service that isn't working. A joke of a company. Legal action should be taken against them.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I signed up with this company for bundle services, never received the bundle services I paid for, and when I tried to cancel, (1) they failed to terminate my account immediately and even charged me for an extra month, automatically withdrawing funds from my account without authorization, (2) agreed to waive the termination fee, but automatically withdrew the funds from my account again without authorization, (3) sent my account to a collection agency claiming that they did not receive the equipment I returned. I have proof from UPS that all equipment was shipped to them. ViaSat did not bother to call me about the equipment either - they just sent it to collections. Horrible company. Takes money from little old ladies living off of social security.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Set up an installation - it was canceled due to 'not having the equipment'. Rescheduled for 2 days later. I received THREE confirmation calls from the company, and I confirmed each one. The morning of the installation the INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR called to confirm and told me in his voicemail that if I don't call back to confirm he's not coming. I confirmed. He arrived and charged me $150, that I was to pay him DIRECTLY (yes, he told me I needed to give him cash or write him a PERSONAL check), for an installation that Viasat told me was free. To Viasat's credit, they have promised me a $150 credit to my account. However, the internet never connected, so the technical left with my $150 and I was left with no internet. I phoned the next morning to schedule a service call and was given SUPERB service by the agent who took my call. We scheduled a service for today. I drove 2 hours to be present for the installation.

The service company (apparently ALSO not employed by Viasat, but an independent company), canceled my service call and I've been sitting here for HOURS waiting for a technician that was never going to show up. They said, 'it looks like you have service, so your service call was canceled'. I do not have service. I never received any service. From the moment of installation to current, I have not received one bit of connectivity from Viasat. I paid $150 for installation, and they have already charged me for my first month of service -- service that I have yet to receive. So I'm almost $300 deep, not to mention all the gas money and expense driving 2 hours to the home and back, and lost wages waiting for hours for service calls that never happen, or happened but failed to provide me with the promised service. It is still unresolved and I have to wait another week for a technician.

The only redeeming quality from Viasat are their customer service reps. They have been patient and helpful, and I do have confidence that they will rectify the financial discrepancies/inconveniences. However the jury is still out until the job is done and the monies are rectified. I hear the service is good, and their reps have ALL been pleasant and patient, however the structure of the company is so poor that they have not been able to provide what they promise. Not yet. The company would benefit from employing their installation and service technicians, rather than outsourcing the labor to independent companies/contractors. Despite their friendly reps, they simply have not given me what I've ordered and paid for, and trying to get it resolved is – well -- empty promises so far.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Checked our website after seeing the ad on TV, went to the website after seeing plans for $30 a month, then on the website it showed a change to $50, I feel it is fraud, and then showing agents in other far away states for installation! Prices changed (went up) after putting in my zip code.

Original review: March 4, 2018

In 2012 I had the service installed. I tried to cancel the service within 3 days. They told me to read my contract. I told them I wasn't given one. They said it was online. Well if you can't or won't go to the website, then you can't read it. They cancelled my service and sent me the box to return the equipment. I haven't heard a word from them. Just this past month I threw away what little paperwork I had. Yesterday I received in the mail a letter from a collection agency. To try and collect the early termination fee. I will be contacting someone about Statute of Limitations on the matter. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THESE PEOPLE. The service isn't worth the headaches.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Service and cost was not what was promised. When I called I was basically told, "Oh well." I was also lied on the contract. This company lied to get you because they know the service is bad then they will collect cancellation fees. This Company lacks integrity and accountability of their services and employees. Do not use them.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Was told if I cancelled for cause I would not have to pay the early termination fee. Speed fell below 1mb for several days. Tech support was an incompetent nightmare. Cancelled service and they cut off my service before the 30 days I'd paid for, 20 days early. Then charged me the early termination fee anyway. Going to fight it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I called about service in the middle of January and was told by a representative I could get 30 day trial period. Once I signed up I was then told I could not get 30 days. We tried the service and it is terrible. I stressed my son is home schooled and must be able to do school work. It would take 20 minutes to load a page and his account would time out and he would have to continually sign back in to do a test, which he was never able to finish.

By Federal law you have 3 business days to cancel any contract as long as in writing. I submitted a written cancellation letter to the company and the installer. They are now trying to charge me for the 2 year contract, I did not sign electronically on purpose to test the service first. I also discovered during this time, they have no servers in the USA. All their servers are foreign based. With all the hacking from other countries, I do not feel my information or internet is safe. I was not informed of this and found it out on my own. They promised me they had new satellites and improved service. They do not. Do not trust them. Trust all the reviews you see, they do not stand behind their product.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The customer service people are nice, but the internet service is the poorest and least reliable of the four companies I've had internet service within 20 years. My problems with this provider are the same as many other reviewers. I upgraded to the highest package, unlimited gold 30 Mbps, and still cannot get a Netflix movie to stream for more than 10-20 minutes before the streaming stops, sometimes for an hour, sometimes until the next day. My browser timed out frequently because the internet service was either so slow or it was off.

Viasat said my satellite needed to be adjusted (although it has never been touched since installation 6 months ago), and this did not help. The technician told my wife to turn off all internet devices in the house so we could stream a movie. I complained, and a different technician did something and one movie played before the same problems began again.

I canceled Viasat service, knowing I would have to pay a $250 cancellation fee, got a local wireless internet provider and have never been happier with service.

Viasat charged me again for the next month, and could not verify they were canceling automatic credit card payments. After 32 minutes I hung up, being told there was a error when they tried to cancel use of my credit card. They refused to email me a confirmation that use of my credit card was canceled. I have been a legal professional 31 years and do not trust this company's shady tactics. They sound so nice on the phone and television, but beware. I had read review of the bad internet service, but the manner in which they handled my account is just a shoddy and possibly criminal.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

There is a two year contract when you sign up for Wild Blue Exede or Viasat or at least I think this is their name, they keep changing it. For two years I never went over my data limit then as soon as the contract was up I've been over the data limit every month around the 15th. They also changed the data packages during this time. Seems as though they want to force a package upgrade so the two year contract will start over again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I live in a rural area and can only get the lowest DSL offered (1 Mbps). We watch a lot of streaming video, so we put up with a lot of buffering. I got a flier in the mail stating that Viasat now had unlimited 25 Mbps internet, so I was excited. After getting it installed and using it for a month, I notice my streaming is no better than the lousy DSL. Lots of buffering, and forget trying to watch 2 things at once. Turns out, Viasat's 25 Mbps is only for downloads, not streaming. Streaming is limited to... 1 Mbps. Same as the DSL I switched from that cost half as much. I specifically told the rep on the phone when I set up the service that I had 1M DSL and was looking for something faster so we could watch Netflix and Hulu. The throttled streaming was NEVER mentioned. This is definitely bait and switch.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

2/8/18: Called to set up satellite internet service in hopes that it would be better than our country DSL service which offers us a sometimes spotty 10 megs. Salesman answered all of our detailed questions or concerns with big promises of 25 meg service that would meet all of our family's high internet needs. He sold us the 25 meg plan that day. 2/9/18: Technician installed dish and modem for service. He was lazy and took several hours to do a job which could have been done in about 1-1.5 hours. Husband heard his boss cussing him out over phone at one point- something about making sure the job went thru that day. AFTER installation husband was given an electronic device with fine print and a button to click to "activate" service.

2/9/18: After installation we reached 10 megs only ONCE for a few minutes. We were consistently averaging service of 3-5 megs, not nearly enough to do the most basic internet functions and definitely not up to par with that plan we were sold: 25 megs. 2/10/18: We called customer service to complain about lack of service. We were advised that in our "contract" (which was not provided until after installation) it states that we might receive "up to" 25 megs. Can we say Bait & Switch? My husband who has been in similar line of technical work for years spent a long time over the phone with technical support troubleshooting the issue. Long story short, there were no adjustments needing to be made in order for us to receive the plan we were sold- they just clearly didn't offer it. The rep. offered us some minor discounts and begged us to give it a couple more days for things to "settle".

2/12/18: Over the last 2 days we still only received between 3-5 megs. I called in multiple times to customer service for disconnection and was given the same looped runarounds by each rep and supervisor. They all told me that I had no option except to pay over $350 early termination fee. I finally spoke to a person in the Retention Department who offered me half off early termination fee. I agreed to this, but they were unable to offer me any proof of this agreement via email- nothing black and white for confirmation that they would keep their word. ***This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a company and dishonesty. I don't know how these people can work for such scum. I will never use this company or any other off-shoot of this company again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

After reading many of the complaining reviews of this company all I can say is: "All the stories told are true"! First they lied about the quality of their service and the exorbitant extra charges they add on... The fact they claim your usage was far more than what you actually use. When I first signed up I was told a monthly charge that was supposed to a 2 year contract which in December of this year suddenly became a 1 year contract. Now I am trying to cancel any business with them and they want a huge cancellation fee. I plan to contact not only the Better Business Bureau here but in their home state of Colorado... Attorney Generals in all states that I find their companies. MY ONLY WARNING IS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS. Viasat - Exede - WildBlue.

Updated on 02/28/2018: Latest name is Viasat Exede Internet... one of many names they use. Update to my first complaint. I have spoke to someone almost daily at this company who not only changes its name constantly but also seems to lose your payments. I once again spoke to someone today at Customer Support at a new number my attorney found... this AM to cancel their service. During a year of service I never received notice of payment due until the day after they had already drawn it out of my account. I received notice on the 8 Feb 2018 that they had drawn the sum from my account for an additional amount of $15.00 more than before. They did not contact me regarding this raise previously and the first notice I had is when my bank called me... I did receive a statement from Viasat Exede on the 14 Feb 2018!!! AND of course they still plan to bill me $150.00 for closing my account.

Having spoke to so many people at this company and find they are from all over the US but foreign countries also... I doubt anyone knows exactly what is going on. My attorney suggested that I have the installing company sign a receipt for returned Modem and Power Adapter, however, I was informed that they would send me a box to mail the equipment back to them and I could not return the equipment to the installers. However, so many people say they then claim they never received the package of equipment I suggest you mail it back by Registered Mail only.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I was told by the customer service rep that I would get 1-5 mbps when I reached my allotted amount of 12 gb. I knew this would happen soon because I have two children who watch videos on YouTube. I didn't care, the rep said I should be able to watch Netflix (which is our main source of TV entertainment) with 1 mbps. We maxed out our limit fairly quickly, and after that, I was lucky to see 1 mbps, on average less than 1/2. I have had the service less than two weeks and am trying to cancel without paying the whole cancellation fee. I don't feel I should have to pay because I was lied to. And also the only option I was given with a credit card was automatic withdraw. Stay away from this company, they lie.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was going to cancel my internet. They sent me a letter telling me that they were going to make me an offer if I did not cancel. I called to see what the offer was. They told me that they would give me a free month of service. But said they needed to take $60 off of my card but it would be a reverse payment just needed to see if the card was active.

They never reverse the payment and when I spoke to a supervisor she said their policy is to credit my account with that money. And I told her she should tell her representative what the policy is because I would never have taken that $60 off my card and I would have continued to cancel the service and sent the equipment back. And she refused to put that money back on my card. And I asked her how can you tell somebody they're going to get a free month that it's going to be a reverse payment and then you keep the money. And they also told me that I could go on the unlimited plan. And the unlimited plan isn't even offered in my area. So they fraudulently got me to keep my account open. And now I have to recancel. And they got another $60 from me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Without using the service, Exede/Viasat tallied over 16 GB data used. When I called to complain, they said there was no proof I had not used the data. The problem is that no one was using data at the rate they calculated. Their system showed continuous video downloads when all services in our house were shut down. Either Viasat was hacked, or they are gouging clients to purchase more data. Good bye.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Signed up with Exede, service was so slow. It was unusable, called them. Gave them 2 weeks to fix it. Never heard from them. Told them to shut it down. It was unusable, so on top of the 150 they charged me 1 week into it, now they are trying to sue me for 343.06. Considering taking them to court.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I recently agreed to an internet and TV package with DirecTV. The Directv contract agreement was for a year. After calling Exede Viasat the price was only good for 6 months and it would be a 2-year contract. The price would almost double. I can not put this all on Exede, but Exede agreed to me canceling my order instead of reducing a contract.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

First they don't tell you unlimited means 150g. They also neglect to inform you that it will be used up in 2 days. We are always at work so how can you use 150g that quick? Also you call customer service and they lie to you. They say "I am sorry your satellite is pointing at your house but there is nothing we can do about it till the next billing cycle," then floor supervisor says, "Give it 2 hours and it will be back at full speeds." If anything it's slower. If anyone is looking for an internet provider stay away from this company. Straight Talk used to say unlimited internet but would cut you off after 5 gig, look at them now having to pay money out for lying. I can't wait for this company to go thru the court system for lying cause it will happen.

Exede Satellite Internet Company Information