Formerly named Exede

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.86/5

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I signed up for their more expensive plan which had the best data allowance. The plan gave priority data as well. After being satisfied they suddenly took the priority data away. They claim they sent notice but I did not get it. Now, my service is at times as slow as dial up. These people are thieves. I pay a higher bill than probably most places in the country. It’s nearly quadrupled cable internet, which is not Available in our area.

I called to price unlimited which slows to a crawl after 100GB so it’s not unlimited at all!! In the age of streaming and everything moved to the web, this is UNACCEPTABLE! I’m being punished for being a rural customer. They need to be exposed for what they are. Because they can monopolize us here we are abused. They are the best of the worst but we have no choices even though we live 1500 feet from an AT&T sub-station. Viasat will one day suffer because of what they are doing to people. Poor service, miserable experience.

Original review: April 6, 2021

The people at Viasat are the most unhelpful, uncaring customer service reps that I've ever spoken to. Their manager is also horrible. I paid my bill and they tried to debit my account twice. The first one went through, second one didn't. They're telling me that they haven't received the payment and they refuse to do anything about it. I sent a fax with my bank statements and bill as they requested, and they're still saying I didn't pay. They refused to help in any. Terrible company.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Sketchy service and frequently no service at all. Numerous calls and several technician visits resulted in no resolution of the problem. When I terminated the service, I was charged over $300 for early termination despite the fact that the service was inferior and often nonexistent.

Original review: March 21, 2021

I live in a rural area and a misleading internet search stated this company had a well rated consumer review for internet services. Since internet is very limited for those who live in "the woods", I decided why not. Huge mistake. The First issue was when the initial installation. They called me the day of approximately 2 hours prior to the time agreed upon and said their tech didn't have the proper equipment to install the dish. (who doesn't carry the equipment to install a dish which is your main job???) so it was rescheduled for the following day.

I never received a call from them to let me know they were on their way. I finally received a call at the very latest time they said they would be there and then told me it wouldn't be installed because they were running behind. Well that's day two that we had to rearrange our schedule for installation and it not be completed. I called, complained and said I wanted to cancel my services.

With a little bit of persuasion they got me to agree to give them "one more chance" and even offered a discount on the first bill. Uhh sucker am I. Anyways, they GUARANTEED it would be installed the following day between 2-5pm, like the prior two days. Well that day rolled around and I got a call at 10 am saying they were on the way.

When I told them no one was home because that wasn't the time set, they said they couldn't do another time because he wasn't the tech for my area and lived far away. Very annoying but managed to get them to install with my 14 year old instead of someone who was 18 years old. Ok, finally installed. Got home that evening after work and attempted to use this amazing internet promised.

I got nothing. Couldn't use my laptop, my kids couldn't use the gaming system. I was able to connect my phone, but it still "buffered" and didn't allow me to use it properly. I was done with them already. The following day at 630 am I called and cancelled my account. They said they cancelled it but I would be charged for the remaining months of the contract. Um, What?! I had this stupid internet for less than 24 hours and it didn't even hold up to their promised speeds or even minimal speeds.

So the agent spoke to the dispute department and said they would review the dispute and I would have to call back and see what they decided by the end of following week. Wow, long time to decided on their mistakes but ok. Fast forward to 4 days later, I was charged for the first month's bill. Called in and spoke to an agent, Alex ID: **, he stated that I would not receive a refund because I agreed to the contract despite their lack of commitment of the speeds or the fact that I had it for less than 24 hours.

I then mentioned the other few kickers I didn't mention yet. The contract didn't even have my name on it. It had someone else's name on it and their electronic signature. The contract wasn't even set to go over UNTIL after it was installed. When I advised him of that he stated that the person who signed me up told me about the contract so I knew about it.

Yeah with any agreement there is a contract BUT they only skim over it and don't give you the entire thing to read and agree to before signing. I was told to call back tomorrow to talk to someone who was above him. This is the most ridiculous "internet" provider that is out there. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone in this world.

Not sure who actually rates them as a good company. It appears legal action will have to take place if they don't agree to waive everything and refund me the amount already taken out. I mean it's not even my contract, right??? So after I spoke to this wonderful agent I decided to go back through this contract and this contract is asinine! IT is completely misleading. If I could rate this company with zero stars I would.

Original review: March 21, 2021

I haven't had their internet since 8/20 and today I logged into my account and seen my charges were over 1200.00. I was floored.. They told me I was charged from then til now. I was like how I was disconnected.. He said 'cause I never asked for a cancellation or disconnection.. Meanwhile I have 2 emails proving I did... These guys are crooks... 0 stars if I could.... No way are they going to get away with this.. I'm contacting BBB.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I signed up with Viasat for a 24-month commitment for 50mbps, was told I could cancel for $180, and that the removal of equipment would be covered. In those four months I made numerous calls to customer service saying my internet wasn't working- their advice, send a technician out 3-5 days later. When I talked to them about internet speeds, and how mine was inconsistent for anything, they told me- "So sorry, you can downgrade your plan if you want?" Four months later, I tried to cancel my plan and they want to charge me $300 for 19 months remaining on my contract, $95 for a technician to come out and remove the satellite, and they refuse to make right with anything. They don't care about the quality of internet, satisfaction of customers, or what their employees told you previously... Tread carefully with this company.

Original review: March 17, 2021

The most horrible experience I have ever had. You could not watch a program without it buffering 2-3 hours nightly. We had no service for 35 days. They made and cancelled 3 appts during that time. They expected to be paid for the 35 days of no service. They was trying to bill me for 240.00. I am constantly being pressured to pay them over 400.00. I changed my debit card.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I have Viasat as my internet as Not a lot is available in rural areas. Since I've had it, my connection is so slow it takes sometimes 4-5 minutes to load. At night I'm not even able to use the internet as nothing will upload, download or cooperate in anyway. I called from the start the company over and over to ask for help, getting the same responses, repeating the same procedures given. And when I told them I was repeating the same steps again that didn't help the 3 previous times, I felt the tech I was talking with, was very condescending and insulting as though I was stupid and didn't know what I was doing. I never could get someone out here to see if the problem was in their equipment. The amount I have to pay them for services is ridiculous. I don't recommend them at all.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I originally obtained internet service from WildBlue Satellite. Wildblue was acquired by Viasat. My original account plan was for 15 GB usage for $ 90.51 per month. The cost was based solely on usage. I have retained the same plan since the initial installation. On 1 March 2021 my Visa account was charged $94.66 for my monthly fee for satellite internet usage. There was no explanation or notice in my account file for the additional charge. On 10 March I called the Viasat alleged customer service. As best I could understand the Latino customer service rep he indicated that the additional charge was some form of tax based on my leased equipment. I explained that I had no lease agreement with Viasat for the equipment and my payment was based solely on “usage”. He could not provide me any information as to what government entity the “tax” was being submitted to.

The only Terms and Agreement document I have is the original paperwork from my Wildblue installation. It does not mention any lease of equipment, charges for such leases or tax on the leases. I was never provided any changes to my agreement with Wildblue, when Viasat assumed the service. The Viasat web page contains the statement “After this first bill, your statement will include single-month charges only”, which is clearly false information. Viasat is a prime example of the current generation of tech companies that is totally void of any business ethics knowledge or practices. They have exported their customer service function to Monterey, Mexico. This allows them to pretend they offer customer service and pay a minimal price for it. In fact, any company that exports it customer service to a third world country that barely speaks English doesn’t give a damn about customer service.

The Viasat incompetence provides barriers to even getting to the “customer service”. The computer asked for my phone number. After entering my phone number 4 times it was rejected each time as invalid. I was then asked to enter my account number. It was rejected three times. I then had to wait for a customer rep to answer the call. Amazingly when he answered he already knew my name, phone number and account number! The Viasat web page/log in seems to get changed every 3 or 4 months. Each time it gets worse and slower. I suspect the “satellite” experts are trying to be software experts.

Every 3-4 months I get an error when I attempt to retrieve my email via my Wildblue email account. The error is that the Security certificate for the email site. “The site attempts to identify itself with invalid information” or the “Security certificate is expired”. In order to get my mail I must check off that “I confirm the security exception” each time I access my mail. When I complain the problem is corrected and then 2 –3 months later it happens again. What is so difficult about maintaining a valid website security certificate? I would surmise that Viasat would rather see Wildblue email, which they inherited from Wildblue, simply disappear and therefore provides no support to maintaining it.

In summary Viasat should be banned from the satellite business.

Original review: March 4, 2021

When calling to see about getting service, I was told what I wanted would be $112 a month which is $30 more than what I paid for my last internet service per month.. then I was told it would be $150 installation fee.. when I told the lady I'd have to think about it, she got very agitated and asked me "what was I going to do for Internet service?!", and I told her I had internet on the phone and I didn't appreciate the attitude and that I would be looking elsewhere.

Viasat Company Information