1.03/5
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Exede Satellite Internet

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

674 Exede Satellite Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

There is a two year contract when you sign up for Wild Blue Exede or Viasat or at least I think this is their name, they keep changing it. For two years I never went over my data limit then as soon as the contract was up I've been over the data limit every month around the 15th. They also changed the data packages during this time. Seems as though they want to force a package upgrade so the two year contract will start over again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I live in a rural area and can only get the lowest DSL offered (1 Mbps). We watch a lot of streaming video, so we put up with a lot of buffering. I got a flier in the mail stating that Viasat now had unlimited 25 Mbps internet, so I was excited. After getting it installed and using it for a month, I notice my streaming is no better than the lousy DSL. Lots of buffering, and forget trying to watch 2 things at once. Turns out, Viasat's 25 Mbps is only for downloads, not streaming. Streaming is limited to... 1 Mbps. Same as the DSL I switched from that cost half as much. I specifically told the rep on the phone when I set up the service that I had 1M DSL and was looking for something faster so we could watch Netflix and Hulu. The throttled streaming was NEVER mentioned. This is definitely bait and switch.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

2/8/18: Called to set up satellite internet service in hopes that it would be better than our country DSL service which offers us a sometimes spotty 10 megs. Salesman answered all of our detailed questions or concerns with big promises of 25 meg service that would meet all of our family's high internet needs. He sold us the 25 meg plan that day. 2/9/18: Technician installed dish and modem for service. He was lazy and took several hours to do a job which could have been done in about 1-1.5 hours. Husband heard his boss cussing him out over phone at one point- something about making sure the job went thru that day. AFTER installation husband was given an electronic device with fine print and a button to click to "activate" service.

2/9/18: After installation we reached 10 megs only ONCE for a few minutes. We were consistently averaging service of 3-5 megs, not nearly enough to do the most basic internet functions and definitely not up to par with that plan we were sold: 25 megs. 2/10/18: We called customer service to complain about lack of service. We were advised that in our "contract" (which was not provided until after installation) it states that we might receive "up to" 25 megs. Can we say Bait & Switch? My husband who has been in similar line of technical work for years spent a long time over the phone with technical support troubleshooting the issue. Long story short, there were no adjustments needing to be made in order for us to receive the plan we were sold- they just clearly didn't offer it. The rep. offered us some minor discounts and begged us to give it a couple more days for things to "settle".

2/12/18: Over the last 2 days we still only received between 3-5 megs. I called in multiple times to customer service for disconnection and was given the same looped runarounds by each rep and supervisor. They all told me that I had no option except to pay over $350 early termination fee. I finally spoke to a person in the Retention Department who offered me half off early termination fee. I agreed to this, but they were unable to offer me any proof of this agreement via email- nothing black and white for confirmation that they would keep their word. ***This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a company and dishonesty. I don't know how these people can work for such scum. I will never use this company or any other off-shoot of this company again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

After reading many of the complaining reviews of this company all I can say is: "All the stories told are true"! First they lied about the quality of their service and the exorbitant extra charges they add on... The fact they claim your usage was far more than what you actually use. When I first signed up I was told a monthly charge that was supposed to a 2 year contract which in December of this year suddenly became a 1 year contract. Now I am trying to cancel any business with them and they want a huge cancellation fee. I plan to contact not only the Better Business Bureau here but in their home state of Colorado... Attorney Generals in all states that I find their companies. MY ONLY WARNING IS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS. Viasat - Exede - WildBlue.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I was told by the customer service rep that I would get 1-5 mbps when I reached my allotted amount of 12 gb. I knew this would happen soon because I have two children who watch videos on YouTube. I didn't care, the rep said I should be able to watch Netflix (which is our main source of TV entertainment) with 1 mbps. We maxed out our limit fairly quickly, and after that, I was lucky to see 1 mbps, on average less than 1/2. I have had the service less than two weeks and am trying to cancel without paying the whole cancellation fee. I don't feel I should have to pay because I was lied to. And also the only option I was given with a credit card was automatic withdraw. Stay away from this company, they lie.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exede Satellite Internet?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was going to cancel my internet. They sent me a letter telling me that they were going to make me an offer if I did not cancel. I called to see what the offer was. They told me that they would give me a free month of service. But said they needed to take $60 off of my card but it would be a reverse payment just needed to see if the card was active.

They never reverse the payment and when I spoke to a supervisor she said their policy is to credit my account with that money. And I told her she should tell her representative what the policy is because I would never have taken that $60 off my card and I would have continued to cancel the service and sent the equipment back. And she refused to put that money back on my card. And I asked her how can you tell somebody they're going to get a free month that it's going to be a reverse payment and then you keep the money. And they also told me that I could go on the unlimited plan. And the unlimited plan isn't even offered in my area. So they fraudulently got me to keep my account open. And now I have to recancel. And they got another $60 from me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Without using the service, Exede/Viasat tallied over 16 GB data used. When I called to complain, they said there was no proof I had not used the data. The problem is that no one was using data at the rate they calculated. Their system showed continuous video downloads when all services in our house were shut down. Either Viasat was hacked, or they are gouging clients to purchase more data. Good bye.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Signed up with Exede, service was so slow. It was unusable, called them. Gave them 2 weeks to fix it. Never heard from them. Told them to shut it down. It was unusable, so on top of the 150 they charged me 1 week into it, now they are trying to sue me for 343.06. Considering taking them to court.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I recently agreed to an internet and TV package with DirecTV. The Directv contract agreement was for a year. After calling Exede Viasat the price was only good for 6 months and it would be a 2-year contract. The price would almost double. I can not put this all on Exede, but Exede agreed to me canceling my order instead of reducing a contract.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

First they don't tell you unlimited means 150g. They also neglect to inform you that it will be used up in 2 days. We are always at work so how can you use 150g that quick? Also you call customer service and they lie to you. They say "I am sorry your satellite is pointing at your house but there is nothing we can do about it till the next billing cycle," then floor supervisor says, "Give it 2 hours and it will be back at full speeds." If anything it's slower. If anyone is looking for an internet provider stay away from this company. Straight Talk used to say unlimited internet but would cut you off after 5 gig, look at them now having to pay money out for lying. I can't wait for this company to go thru the court system for lying cause it will happen.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I will never use this internet company or suggest someone to you use this provider again. When I signed up for cable with DirecTV they told me the only internet company that's available in my area is Viasat. So long story short I wasn't properly told that there are cancelation fees and also I wasn't told that this internet company uses a satellite and that you have data. Now that I want to cancel my internet within the first month that it was installed they want to charge me $345. They definitely are not customer friendly.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This company is one of the worse company that ever existed. I signed up with DirecTV. The rep that I signed up with told me that I would be getting AT&T as my internet provider and gave the phone number to call that company. Once I got in contact they told me they’re not AT&T but they’re under the same umbrella. Fast forward to December first when service was installed. I realized I had provided them with a wrong account number for the first and only payment. I called them and I explained to the rep that I’ve provided them an incorrect account and I would like to fix it. That way they could take out that first payment of $47.99. 2 days later I realized their internet was too slow. I called and requested for them to disconnect my service.

I recently got a charge of $344 charged to my account without my consent. I don’t know how they was allowed to saved my information to their system without my consent or knowledge. That is fraud to me. No company should be allow to save customers' bank card or bank account number without any consent or bill the person account. When I called them these people are telling me they have a contact which can be found on their website. I need to go to their website and read it. I never heard such thing in my life. I need to know where I could take this company to court. I did not gave them authorization to access or bill my account for future payment. I wasn’t even aware that they’ve kept my account information on file.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I made this account here specifically to give my review and recap of what I went through for 6 weeks trying to get my service with them stopped when I moved. Yes. 6. Damn. WEEKS. I will even give around the days I contacted them and what was discussed for more information on my grievances. I was on a defunct plan that charged me around $70 or so each month. This will be relevant for a screencap I provide of an email that I suppose will not be seen publicly.

First contact about disconnecting service: November 16th 2017. I gave Exede a call to cancel my service after 7 years of rather bumpy service with them. The contract I had with them was a rental of the satellite hardware that would be returned upon cancellation of service. That was my reason for calling that day. They told me it would be best to wait for the next billing cycle to cancel my service. I argued I was not using it anymore but they would not listen. I gave up but requested they send me the return package for the hardware to my new address right away so I could get it back to them.

December 2nd 2017. I called yet again for a status update on my cancellation of service. NOTHING at all had been done. No cancellation scheduled for the 3rd, no hardware return package sent out, NOTHING. I remained calm and told the agent that I wanted to cancel service then and there. They did (or claimed to...) and I again gave my new address to have the return package sent to. I was wise enough to take the hardware with me to new address as I no longer have access to my old one. Account information was updated, service cancelled, and package was sent out. At least that's the story I got...

December 18th 2017. I called for a 3rd time pissed at my issue. The agent was rather annoyed with me being pissed about the situation. Said agent hung up on me. Wish I had names and recordings but I never thought to do any of that. I called again right away and got a different agent. I made my complaint about being hung up on by previous agent and went on to repeat the same problem I had on the 2nd. Service was cancelled but the return box had not been shipped due to the shipping address not being updated within the system. I have no idea if it was human error or their system being terrible. The agent I had then tried to update but couldn't and left a note with an urgent status tied to fix my issues.

December 27th 2017. Call 5. I was getting anxious by this point as there is a month gap time limit to return the hardware else they will slap me with a $300 fine for failure to return the equipment. I went through the same crap again. Explained the issue, address was not changed, box sent to old location, blah,blah,blah. THIS time the agent looked through my history and saw what was going down and how I was trying to get this solved. The agent once more tried to get my address entered in properly and the return package sent to my new address. Agent even went on to remove my payment details from the system so I would not get slapped with that $300 fine since my problems were their fault. I even went on to say I was tired of calling to get this problem solved and would not call again unless something serious happened. If they could not get this problem fixed, the equipment loss would be on them.

January 4th 2018 (the day I wrote this). So I just got an email from Exede. A bill for $318.75. I think by now you know what this bill is for. I called Exede and explained everything to an agent in billing. They looked into my account and saw all the notes. Turns out the shipping address for the equipment return package was STILL wrong. I swear. I made it very clear what the address is and made a long rant about the treatment I had been getting over this matter. The agent did as they all did. Changed address, mailed the package, and so on (Or so they claimed...). I was pissed by that point as this was call 6 to them.

I demanded to speak with a superior to make it very clear I would NOT stand for this. Once a supposed superior got on the line I dumped everything about what had happened over the last 6 weeks. I even took it a step further and told them I would threaten legal action if they did not get their act together and get this fixed. As you can see looking through my story, all problems have been their fault. The manager or whoever I spoke with stayed calm and said I would not be charged the $318.75 since it was obvious the fault was theirs and not mine.

This is the current status. I have no idea what will happen from here. I hope they get their act together and get this problem fixed so I can be done with it. I have no respect for this business if they operate like this. I would like to encourage anyone from the BBB or FBI check into this matter please as I think several business practice laws have been broken in relation to customer protection. Viasat with their Exede and other services is terrible. I suggest you look elsewhere for service if you need satellite internet. Their customer service is pretty incompetent if my history is anything to go on.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Spent 2 years with them for service and it was not a good experience. Not only to have 150 Gbs used up in 2-4 days of a new cycle which didn't help when having schooling and jobs that require internet but also when there was "outages" we didn't get compensated or even any warnings about it until we spent 4+ hours waiting on the phone to talk to a rep about it. After our contract came to an end, we called for 2 week before the 28th of the month to cancel and every day we were told to wait until the 28th. On the 28th we called once more and was told by a supervisor that we would not have to pay the charge and our service would be canceled right then. The following month we get a bill for service we didn't even use. We called on it and was told it would get looked into. Never heard a word back.

Then another bill comes the month after that for the same 110.61 for a service we still were not using. We called and talked to 3 sets of reps and managers which were very disrespectful and would not listen to us. They also were trying to say that we were told the 24th not the 28th and that their systems also showed we talked to supervisor and canceled on the 29th at 3 am which was not true at all. We called the 28th like we were told. The 4th set of rep and supervisor we talked to was very friendly and wanted to help us get the situation solved and even told us we can write to the corporate and see if they could help us resolve it.

We wrote a letter and sent it in and a week after we get a bill from collections with an additional 25 charge to add on top of the 110.61 thru Viasat and still not hearing anything from the corporate office. This is the worst company for internet to ever use in a rural area. I would rather stay using my hotspot thru my phone company over going back to Viasat again.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I signed up for the "unlimited" plan with Exede with a 150 gig data cap. I made sure to ask about the speed if I hit my data cap. I was told that it would still work fine, but I may experience temporary slowdowns during high traffic hours. I was okay with that and joined with a 2 year contract. Fast forward 6 days. My kids had done some online gaming and we had tons of things to update so we hit our data cap pretty quickly. No surprise, that's why I inquired about what happened when I did hit that mark. The second we hit the mark, the internet has slowed to speeds that are beyond unacceptable. 0.22 upload speeds. 24 days of internet I can't even use. I tried to get out of my contract as I was sold something I did not get and the only way out is to pay $350. They will not let me out even though they lured me in with false information. Customer service is terrible. Do NOT waste your money on this company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I didn’t even have an account yet and they pulled $60 from my account to see if I’m real or not. They said it’s pending 14 days. Every time I talk to them somebody lies to me. I canceled the account and set up. I’m glad because there were so many bad problems from this company. Bad reviews.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I signed up with DirecTV for a package deal with internet 2 years ago. Apparently, the same week DirecTV lost their contract with Verizon internet, so instead of informing me, they sent Exede internet to my home for installation. I had gone over my internet needs with DirecTV and had no idea what was happening. Exede does not deliver enough internet to watch a movie or do basically anything. It is meant for people that live in rural areas that have no other options. I immediately tried to resolve this and neither DirecTV or Exede would do anything to get me out of this contract. I had to get another internet company and pay 2 internet bills for 2 years until the contract was up. I then had to pay for someone to go on my roof to take down their equipment, something no other company makes you do. This company has taken a ridiculous amount of money from me, it is a complete sham.

\

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My internet ran out in a few evenings without downloading any movies. I cancel. They want to charge me $360 plus around a $95 to take the dish down, on top of this scam of an internet, they billed. What a RIP OFF company.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

This has been the WORST experience with an internet company. We were made promises by what apparently was a 3rd party salesperson, were so excited to get away from the crap internet we already have, just to find out that this service was nothing that was promised. I work from home and there's no way that I can work on a 4 mbps service when I was promised constant 25 mbps, especially not when I'm expected to pay $150 a month for it. Now they want us to pay $360 for early termination when we never even saw a customer agreement and only had the modem plugged up for 30 minutes!! Please, if you haven't file a complaint on the BBB's website.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

At first my internet ran out in one week. So upgraded and it ran out in 2 weeks. To cancel they want to charge me $330 plus around a $100 to take the dish down, I will get someone to take the dish down but is there any way to get away from Excede (Viasat) with my wallet intact? What a RIP OFF company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

When we moved we were instructed to return some equipment because we needed new equipment at the new address. It took a month to get our new service set up and they would not credit me my monthly payment for not being able to use the internet while we waited. Then I get a box to send back the equipment and it is still sitting on my porch. We moved 4 months ago. I have contacted them several times and each time I get a different answer. "No you cannot drop the package off at UPS" to "You need to drop the package off at UPS, we don't pick them up". The latest, "We will send you a new box and it will be there in 3-4 days."

No biggie right? It's their loss? NO! They took $322 out of my account and will NOT give it back until they have their equipment! Why not drop it off at UPS? Because they didn't give me a shipping label either! My bank has started a fraud investigation and I am filing a complaint with the BBB. It has been one issue after another with this company since DAY ONE. The only reason I still have them is because we live in the country and don't have any other choice for service providers. If you can avoid using this company... DO!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

When paying for internet one would expect to consistently get a speed of at least half, maybe even a quarter of the speed that's advertised, even if that speed is advertised as a maximum. Those paying for internet from Exede on the other hand, do not have such a luxury. It would be genuinely shocking to see a speed of more than 1.5 mbps on this connection, despite paying for the "up to 25 MB" package.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I had the same experience as the other reviewers here. Same problems, same story. This company is trying to tank on purpose. They will rob you and limit your service claiming numbers that aren't real. The customer service is polite and try to bend over backwards for you but you still get the same problems month after month. You have no recourse but to switch companies. Tell me this isn't some kind of fraud. I have the unlimited plan... Guess what, I'm over my limit and no restriction on this $120 per month unlimited plan.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I give this so-called company a flat out ZERO! They don't ever get a one from me. Their service is the WORST EVER!!! I am so angry at myself for staying with them for as long as I did! When I closed the account... sent the equipment in and they said that I didn't send all their items back to them and charged my account $162!!! DID NOT HAPPEN! I filed a complaint and had my bank reverse the charges. Stop trying to take advantage of people!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Pretty much same problems as everyone else's review as far as bad speeds/connection. Cannot stream anything, and always said we were out of data 2 days after the beginning of our cycle. Long story shorter... we finally had had enough and were willing to pay the early termination fee. When we went to cancel, we were told they would charge our credit card $300 if we did not return their equipment. Said they would send us a box to return it in. Fast forward a month and five calls later... just spoke to a supervisor because I had had enough, she told me that the last four representatives I have spoken to did not do anything they said they would do.

All four previous people said they sent out a new box, she said it had never been done. Last person I spoke to said she would do a stop payment on my credit card because I told them I was going to file a dispute with my credit card company for fraudulent charges, she never did it. They refuse to send any documentation with transcripts of my calls, refuse to confirm by email that I had requested a box, etc. Finally they told me that I could get my own box and ship it on my dime. SERIOUSLY!?!? These people are scam artists and after reading so many reviews out there, I have no idea how they are still in business! STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Omg. Just finished 2 year contract and this was by far the worst experience I ever had with an internet provider. I have used Century Link and Hughes. Exede is run by uninformed idiots and ignorant unprofessionals. Price went from 119.00 to 126.00 in a year. Did not know that. My internet allowance even though I had the most expensive package turned over on 28th of every month and was used up by the 4th of every month. I watched the usage monitor on their customer portal go from 0 to 150 in 4 days while I turned off every device in my house. It is a rip off so please let my experience save you the hassle. They are rude and doing an old fashioned bait and switch. Your internet runs out and they offer you the opportunity to increase your next bill by 10.00 increments for extra service which also runs out in hours not days. Your internet runs out on a predestined cycle whether you use it or not!!! Save yourself.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been an Exede Satellite internet and phone customer for 15 months. I frequently experience prolonged outages, which leave me atop a remote mountain with no contact with the outside world. Exede makes promises of connection which they've failed to consistently deliver. In addition, their call center is staffed by poorly trained and antagonistic "customer care representatives". Seriously, no one in their right mind would have this service if there were any other option.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I signed a contract with this company with expectations that I would have decent internet service but what I got was a service that only allowed me to watch one movie before being cut to slower than dial up era internet service. I called to cancel service and was told to limit my video quality to the lowest setting possible, 240 DPI and still wasn't able to watch a ten minute YouTube video with having to buffer every five seconds. Granted I was on the lowest package of 25 gigs for a whopping $95 per month.

I called a second time to cancel and was told I would have to pay $330 cancellation fee and return the equipment. So you pay $95 for AOL era dial up service and you get reamed for cancellation a two year sub level internet service. Note: I received service on 7/20/17 and got notification that my service is now on Liberty Pass four days later. Liberty Pass is slower than dial up. I couldn't even load a basic webpage without waiting ten minutes. This service shouldn't even be offered to consumers much less charge $95 monthly.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

After 4 years of pretty sucky service, I had to return the modem and the piece INSIDE the dish ON THE ROOF... made my poor husband climb up there and unscrew this receiver part... and the roof is angled and slick. They credit me for receiver, but not the 4 year old modem. Now they are saying modem not in box. Box only weighed 5 lbs, should have weighed 10 lbs? Since when does a plastic modem weigh 5 lbs? Well I had taken a picture of the box with both parts in it. I provided them the photo (had to send 3X, claimed they couldn't open a JPEG). So I uploaded to an imaging hosting site so the morons could just cut and paste, and their response is "OH GEE, you're right, there is a modem, but it's not ours, no logo on it." SERIOUSLY... claims they can't return the modem I sent. Really? Why? Why say NO MODEM IN BOX, why not say, WRONG modem returned. TALK ABOUT POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Been more or less forced to use Exede, anyone living out in the country knows this feeling. Worse company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The data cap resets on the 7th, and three days later it is somehow out! Note, at first figured that I might have been using too much, which is sort of understandable. So, spent the next month with my router unplugged so that no internet could be used and somehow it still ran out! Worse of all, bought a gig since I needed to get work done tonight, router unplugged, and no one home. Should be there right? Wrong. Somehow that was used up. Do yourself a favor, if you're using these people you're not going to have internet. Slow to connect, even slower speed once they feel like slowing it down, and they'll be happy to charge you $10 per extra gig, just so they can use it for you! Sad excuse for a company, honestly deserves to go bankrupt.

Exede Satellite Internet Company Information

Formerly Named:
WildBlue
www.wildblue.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use