Formerly named Exede

3.6/5 (484 ratings)

About Viasat

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: March 4, 2021

When calling to see about getting service, I was told what I wanted would be $112 a month which is $30 more than what I paid for my last internet service per month.. then I was told it would be $150 installation fee.. when I told the lady I'd have to think about it, she got very agitated and asked me "what was I going to do for Internet service?!", and I told her I had internet on the phone and I didn't appreciate the attitude and that I would be looking elsewhere.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They charge a lot for unlimited internet, unlimited is really not unlimited. You only get so many gbytes a month and if you use them up you practically don't get any internet until the next month. I got it and did updates on my son's Xbox and it couldn't even finish the updates before the internet ran out. It was very upsetting. I paid over 200 a month for me to just have to connect to my phone's hotspot to watch movies. The internet doesn't even work enough to stream an entire movie. It's really sad. When we moved we didn't go into an area where the internet was offered and they still refused to stop our contract. They won't pick up their own equipment, making my husband go to our old house to unbolt the satellite off the house. It's not a good service, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Viasat is the absolute worst internet I have ever had to deal with. WAY too expensive for internet that doesn't work. Don't try to stream anything because you will get 10 secs of show, 45 secs of buffer.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

The WORST customer service. I had to take a day off and drive 2.5 hours to meet them at my rental property to set up service (for which they charged me $100). They called 3 hours before to confirm, then again 30 minutes prior, when I was already 2 hours into my journey, to tell me they didn't have the equipment and would need to reschedule. Why didn't they tell me that on the first call? When I told them I couldn't take another day off and needed to do it on a weekend, they refused to work with my schedule and acted as though I was inconveniencing them!

They robbed me of time and money and bounced me around in an attempt to avoid solving the issue. The service rep, Cynthia, was extremely rude and unsympathetic; when I asked to speak to a supervisor for further help, I was told, "No, no one can help you." Needless to say, I quickly found another Internet company that was happy to come out on a weekend and charged have the monthly fee with no hook up charge. AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Having no internet is better than Viasat because they fail regularly and charge you more than any other company. Viasat failed to provide service for us where no device of ours would connect for months in the afternoons and evenings and when we were forced to find an internet company with reliable service they’re charging us cancellation fees. They even refunded our monthly fee in full in December because their technician admitted they know they’re completely failing their customers currently. We are a nonprofit from 1924 started by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig that’s saves 101,800 members from homelessness and they haven’t budged despite me telling them it’s illegal to charge cancellation fees in the US when they didn’t provide service.

It’s been two days dealing with their customer service where they say they wish they could help but admit it takes days to get management to respond. They only offer to escalate issues with no resolution or refund. They’ve since emailed me twice saying that since my son had called trying to get his video games to work in November that’s why they’re charging us for failing for months because we must have only needed a different service provider for his gaming and their last email said they’re allowed to provide slow internet and still charge customers to cancel.

My internet did not work for months reliably at all. Slow would’ve been ok even. I hadn’t been able to work the hours I needed to from home with their internet service failing. I’m wondering how many customers there are who Viasat financially screwed over when they failed to provide reliable internet and then still charged them to cancel. Their reviews are crap and they’re pulling illegal crap. Especially during Covid this is unconscionable. How many have to have had it with this company to do a class action I’m wondering.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Where do I start. First I called them to cancel my service one month prior to selling my house. They canceled it that day leaving me with no internet for a month. When I realized what they did, they wanted me to sign for another 24 month agreement to reconnect the service. What?! Of course that made no sense and never heard an apology for the inconvenience they caused. Then I had to repeatedly called for the return equipment box. I could get every other package from every delivery company but for some reason I couldn't get their box. FINALLY, over a month of calling, I got the box. I returned the equipment in a timely manner and thought I was done with this company but no! I received a charge for $265. I called them that evening to understand the charge for equipment when I returned it. The rep confirmed that they received the equipment and I should receive a refund in the next 7-10 days.

After 14 days, I called back to see why I haven't received a refund. I was then told that I didn't return a piece from the satellite dish. What?! This wasn't in their return directions. And let's think about this.... They want people to climb on the roof to take a piece of the dish off?? I'm a single mom and don't even have a ladder high enough to get to the roof. DirecTV asks you to recycle their equipment and this company (associated through DirecTV) wants you to climb on a roof. This company tops my list as being one of the worst companies out there. I learned a $265 lesson and will NEVER be another customer of Viasat.

The suspect they won't be in business long considering they can't support basic internet service and provide the worst customer service. I'm writing this to help people make an informed decision before signing up for internet provider. If I could give them a negative star rating, I absolutely would. A one star rating is not the appropriate rating.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

We have had service with this company since 12/2019. I decided to move away from our DSL provider because of the low speeds, and Viasat was one of only 2 other options. When I first did research on this company, we didn't find a lot of bad reviews at the time (apparently this site never showed up in my searches). When they hooked up, the tech was friendly and knowledgeable, and didn't give any impressions of being a horrible choice... That's where the good times ended with this. Since then, I've had to bump our service up to the max in our area, and increase our bill to a whopping $165 a month. And STILL, we get 1-2 weeks of good service before we top out. 2 Tv's and a computer, with occasional cellphones (2) on the network. This somehow equates to 200+GB a month in data use...

Friday, 2/4/21, our internet was completely shut off (not the normal .25mbps we get at the end of our billing cycle). I talked to their tech support, which told me our antenna wasn't aligned (had a re-alignment 2-weeks prior to this) and it would be 2-weeks to get someone out to fix it. I requested to elevate our situation with their supervisor, Pablo, who was even less helpful. They rely on a 3rd Party company to provide service, and they are absolutely unable to fix anything in less than 2-weeks... (Funny, the re-alignment took 48 hours for a tech to show up, definitely quick).

In addition, as it turns out, the dish isn't out of alignment... Today it's working again. For the entire time we've been with this company, we've gotten the runaround. They play games with their customers, push to go to higher contract tiers to fix ramped data usage and still throttle them down after a week or 2 into their cycle. No solutions, only pay more and that will fix it, then nothing gets fixed. Done with this company, and recommend others to stay clear of them! You're better off hotspotting off your cellphone than paying for this garbage! DON'T GET SERVICE WITH VIASAT! You will only regret it in the end!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I contacted Viasat for service and explained I needed unlimited data as I use it to stream and was informed that there plan was 25/Mbs unlimited for $100/mo for the first 3/mo then $150/mo. It would be a 24/mo contract. Of course I agreed. After a few days the installation was performed and after the installer left I was then emailed the details of my internet. This is where I found the hidden information that I was only allowed 60/GB per billing cycle after which once you exceed this they prioritize the data. What they actually do is throttle your service. Before HULU and Netflix worked only because we had not exceeded the 60/GB. Once the 60/GB was passed HULU will no longer load, Netflix picture is fuzzy or continues to buffer so if you don’t mind only being able to watch Disney for $150/mo plus the $7/mo for the Disney channel that’s fine but this internet is definitely not worth the money.

I was never informed of 60/GB cap per billing cycle and it’s apparent they do not inform anyone of this. I have since filed an FCC complaint for Breach of Contract. Save your money unless you desperately have to have internet. But I can tell you this much - I get better internet on my Verizon phone than Viasat and it’s cheaper.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

We tried this provider and the customer service was ok. Had to get the modem/router replaced twice in a month, they said that wasn't normal and can confirm that another user had theirs for over a year no replacements. Luckily we didn't have to pay the service charges on either of those incidents(about $100). I wasn't sure of our data usage but quickly found out that we used the entire allowed amount in about 2 weeks and they didn't have a higher option for us. We have 2 tvs, 4 computers and 4 mobile devices that use data so our usage is almost 1T/month. I was turned off by the large cancellation charge and being told to ship back the equipment. I requested for pickup and was charged just under $100. We are lucky have a better option available to us but I do hope they get better data plans for future customers. Feeling ripped off isn't fun.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Customer service is non existent as soon as you sign the contract.. The service is so slow it brings to mind the old Dial Up speed... Have NEVER been able to enjoy any movie without it freezing up and I'm NOT trying to view it in HD mode. Forget about trying to watch a game on my expensive sports streaming service. Buyer Beware. This sucks!

Viasat Company Information