Formerly named Exede

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Their service is not what they say it is. Run fast if you are thinking of their service. Only use if last resort. Says unlimited but your gigs run up even with modem unplugged. I know I did a few day test. Unhooked for two days and my Viasat showed I used 17 gig of my service. Something fishy with this company. Plus the high price too. Don't use them. Lesson learned for me? Would I recommend them, absolutely not?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I signed up for Viasat because nothing else was available where I live. They sent out an independent contractor to set it up and he was great, very professional and no problems. I got the highest package they advertised because it was "up to 30 Mbps". I always wonder how companies get away with the "up to" promise but I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. I never saw speeds greater than 5 Mbps, and after I used more than 100 Gb in a month the speed dropped to less than 1 Mbps making it difficult to stream or even do anything online. I knew when I signed up it was a two year contract. They were very clear about that. I sucked it up for a year until I just got too fed up and I heard about an alternative, OTR Mobile which uses LTE4G.

After I got my new OTR Mobile internet hooked up, I called Viasat to cancel because you're not allowed to cancel on line. There's a reason they don't let you cancel online, and it is because they don't let you cancel anywhere. I was on the phone with a customer service agent for 20 minutes telling him I wanted to cancel. He offered a one time $50 credit which I declined. He offered to upgrade to an even higher package with a discount for 3 months which I declined. He then suggested that I run ethernet cables to everything I wanted to use because that would help with my speed. Each time I would decline and state that I just wanted to cancel. Then he asked if I was aware of the cancellation fee. I said "Yes, I am aware of the $15/month fee for the remainder of the contract". He said that would come to $120. I said, "Great, because that's $50 less than my monthly fee."

This went on and on. He went back to the ethernet cable and explained to me that he ran 100 feet of ethernet cable from his bedroom to the tv and it really helped. I asked, "Do you have Viasat?" He said "No, he lives in the city and has cable internet". It was like I was speaking a foreign language that did not have a translation for the word CANCEL. Then he read the disclosure about sending the equipment back, etc. I have read the other reviews on here about them saying the equipment was not returned, so I will photograph the process and get receipts and track it all. They must be very desperate for customers is all I can figure. I highly recommend looking around for some other alternative to this service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I called and signed up for ViaSat. They called to change the installation to a day earlier, which was great for me, but then the guy showed up two hours early - which wouldn't have worked five minutes later as I was about to head out. After four hours and literally calls with six different people (not to mention endless menus), and the installation - which already started and tore up my yard - couldn't be completed because the work order didn't match the working satellite (ViaSat 2) but the one with no line of vision, ViaSat 1). I'll wait for Elon and stick with Hughesnet, which does at least work. AND they installed it when and how it was promised.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

First, let me start by saying that I have been a customer of Viasat for over 7 years. In that time I have been relatively pleased with them with the exception that they seem very reluctant to send out technicians. I am a Priority Care customer which means I pay a little extra so that when I do need a tech, it won't cost me an arm and a leg or maybe none at all.

Back in June I called Viasat because we could no longer download videos or stream anything. It was just too slow and we were going through data like water. They ran a test and said there was nothing wrong and suggested I buy more data. I did and we went through it in one day. We were going through 25 mgb in one and half to two weeks, and we weren't home half the time. We went on with no internet connectivity or sporadic connectivity for the next several months. When I finally demanded a tech be sent out, he said the modem wasn't working. He replaced it, and we were up and running again.

I called customer service to see if they could give us some credit since we hadn't had decent internet for a while and the modem was their equipment. I was told they could give me 5 days worth since that was the first time they saw a complaint about connectivity. I asked about June. The customer service rep said they didn't have anything about me complaining about connectivity in June. Long story short, when you call make sure everything you are having issues with is written in the person's notes you speak to. It was their loophole to take my $95 for the last four months, but they couldn't even give me a month's credit.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

DIFFICULTY IN CANCELING A VIASAT CONTRACT. The contract for internet connection for my brother in Burgaw NC has already been cancelled (I live in Oakland, CA) so I’m only writing this to request forwarding of a complaint. The internet service contract was under my name, account number **, service agreement **. I needed to cancel the contract because my brother moved out of the Burgaw NC address where the equipment was installed. The cancellation never went through.

Here is entire sequence of events: June 29, 2020, I called Viasat 1-256 279 5720 to arrange for internet service on a 3-month “Promotion” at **. One September 28, I contacted Viasat via chat to cancel the promotion as indicated on their website: ** Their service partner EXEDE: 1 855-453-9333. On September 29, I contacted Viasat via chat with an address to send the shipping box. My brother had moved out from the location in Burgaw where the equipment was installed. I didn’t think it was safe for his ex domestic partner to move the transceiver in front of the satellite dish. I gave the shipping address of my brother’s friend in Wallace NC to the chat agent. I printed the chat transcript. Agent said box would be sent to that address instead of where the equipment was installed. I have the chat transcript. 1 855-453-9333.

My next Auto-pay was scheduled for 11/4/20. On 11/4/20 Viasat charged my account $90.26. October 13, shipping box still not received. Called Viasat. I was told that contracts cannot be cancelled via chats even though I was not told that via the previous chats. Cancellation only through phone calls. I called 1 855-453-9333 to cancel for the second time. Phone agent said no record of previous cancellation. I told him that address for shipping box was in the file and I had the chat transcripts.

Because of the shipping box problem, I decided to arrange for a Viasat technician to go to the ** to get the equipment. The cost for the trip would be $95. I was told the technician can only disconnect the equipment. The technician cannot send the equipment back. Someone at the installation address would have to place the equipment in the shipping box and arrange for a UPS pickup or take to a UPS store. I was never told this during previous chats.

Bonnie **

10/13/20 Phone **

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

If you are looking for internet never do Viasat. From day one never work. Only one week with the service and we are disconnecting now. Plus we have to paid. Bad bad internet slow and expensive. Bad customer service. Be aware.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

We moved into an area that doesn’t have access to any other internet providers, and had no choice but to get Viasat. This is by far the most expensive internet we’ve ever paid for to not even be able to do anything with it! My children can’t do any of their online schooling. We’ve had to get hotspots just so they can complete school work. Can’t even begin to try to work from home on this internet!

Being home during the pandemic we like to stream music and movies and shows. Let me say again, we would like to! It barely ever works. So many family movie nights we had to go somewhere and rent a movie because we can’t use our online services due to lack of data from our internet. We have the gold package. $170 package! How is it even allowed to be labeled as unlimited? I miss Spectrum. I can’t stand being forced to pay so much money for the absolute worst internet experience!!! We are stuck until this area is allowed another provider. Can you sue an internet company for stress and trauma? I hate to be so dramatic, but we are all so sick of it. I’m having to get onto children about not using internet so we can use it some other time. Ridiculous!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

We purchased Viasat internet because we had a new build and was told by ATT that it would be a good company. Guy came out, set everything up and told us we were good to go. He stated we should give it 24 hours to reach its best potential. Gave it the 24 hours and the speeds were worse than the day before. Was paying for 50gb and was getting 1 at best. Called to have a technician come out and fix the problem which this was 2 days later by now and they wanted to charge me another 90 something dollars to get it working right. We argued we would not be allowed saying that amount which the guy harassed me over and over saying I had to pay it. I ended up hanging up on him. Then called back and got someone else who told us we were covered under the 30 days and we did not have to pay to have a technician come check it out but it would be 3 days before they could do it.

They came out and said it was fixed once again and still couldn’t do anything online. Called the guy right back, he returned and drilled a hole in our wall and put another outlet in. Then checked and it was still horrible. Told us we wouldn’t get better than that. It wasn’t even close to what our contract said we would be getting. Then when I went to check the mail we noticed he had ran over 3 of our spotlights that light up our driveway. Called to cancel and to get out of the contract. They charged us another 300 and something to break the contract on Internet we never received and only had been on our property for 5 days total. So in the long run don’t get it. They charged us over 500 for service we never received.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

ViaSat is a HORRIBLE company. This company will take your money if they deliver service. They'll take your money if they don't deliver service, and they'll take your money when you no longer want their service. We were told by Viasat that the service we could get with them would be enough for the devices and use we would need. This is false. We were told that they offer unlimited data. This is also false. It's unlimited until it reaches a point (which is exactly NOT the definition of unlimited), and then you will be prioritized behind customers who have not gone over their data cap, or in other words, your service will be slowed down to the point of unusable because you reached your data cap.

If you have their largest package (which we do), you "cannot buy more data because you can not buy more of something that is unlimited". If it's sunny, rainy, snowy, cloudy, windy, or if weather exists at all well it might work or it might not, but "they can't guarantee it will work bc that's the nature of satellite". Ours is extremely spotty at best and doesn't work at all most of the time.

Oh, and you'll be locked into a 2-year contract that NOBODY told you about, and they don't have your signature for bc you in fact never signed anything, but somehow you signed a contract that you are locked into. I can't figure out the legality of that one at all, but we are in that boat, along with many others if you check out ANY reviews about this company. If you try to cancel the very expensive service you are not receiving, they will be charging $350ish for that. You'll also be charged $350ish if you don't return your equipment, which includes the satellite dish that is to be returned in a mailable box.

They have a shady business model - they make money off of their customers regardless of if they provide service, as well as when their customers want to leave their service. I am not sure in what other business it's acceptable to take people's money and not deliver on the service paid for but that's 100% what Viasat is getting away with; they lie and steal from their customers. Also, if you leave a negative review on FB they will remove it and block you, and apparently on BBB they get to have an A+ rating for their shady behavior.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I was a Viasat customer for 10 years (paying every bill and charge on time), and I would strongly advise you to avoid them if at all possible. The only other provider in our rural area is Hughes Net. T-mobile reached out to us with a hotspot deal a few months ago, and I immediately signed up, terminating our service with Viasat after three trial weeks of excellent internet with the hotspot (less than a third of the price as well). I also paid $15 to put a Stop Pay on my bank account, having read multiple times (during miserable bouts of searching the internet for other ISPs that ended in reading reviews of the company) that they continue to withdraw money from your account after service is terminated, or charge for equipment that's been returned.

The latter happened to me. I returned the equipment (worth over $300, according to the charge) a week after I received their pre-labled box (the closest UPS drop off is 30 miles away). I kept the drop off receipt, along with video of me packing the equipment into the box, and pics of the drop off. It didn't help. Viasat keeps sending me threatening emails and letters, telling me they're going to turn me into collections, even after I've spent hours on the phone and online chat with them. I have had two agents tell me they received the package two days after I mailed it - then they tell me that they have to talk to their supervisors, and the call is dropped. The other agents I've talked with told me that the investigation has been "escalated", and to call back in 3-5 days.

I did, multiple times, the last time learning they've determined I didn't return the equipment. Final answer. Despite the tracking number I gave them, despite me calling UPS, who looked up the tracking number and gave me the same time and date that they did, and affirmed that the package was returned and this is a scam - I just got another threatening letter yesterday. I called an agent, again, and they finally agreed to have a supervisor give me a callback. The supervisor was supposed to call me in half an hour. I waited outside (cell phone signal out here is weak, and I was terrified I would miss the call) for an hour and a half. No one called. I feel like a complete chump for believing anything a Viasat representative tells me. I've filed a complaint with the BBB, and am leaving reviews for other prospective customers - avoid my situation!

Viasat Company Information