Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Formerly named Exede

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Viasat Reviews

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

This has been the WORST experience! We moved out to the country and really had no choice at the time so had to go with then Exede. Our internet was slow, we were promised unlimited night minutes but wouldn’t get them, it was very expensive over $150/month, installer cut some lines in our home he shouldn’t have. We were never reimbursed, customer service was terrible, when we finally canceled service they expected us to climb on the roof and remove and return the dish ourselves! Run as far away from them as you can! At this point I’d rather not have internet at all!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

In April 2019 my family was forced out of our home by a total-loss fire. We were fortunate to have someplace to go temporarily while we went through the rebuilding process, as my family had a vacant property in the area. However, the only internet option there was Viasat/Exede. I called them, explaining our situation and that I knew we would not be in the home even close to two years, and was there a 12-month contract or month-to-month option. They said a month-to-month plan required a $300 deposit (exactly the same amount as their early termination fee). So we signed the 24 month contract, knowing we would be terminating well before.

We moved into our new home within one week of our bill being paid in August. I called to cancel and asked if we would be pro-rated that amount. We were told no. We terminated the contract and paid the $300 fee. Viasat sent a box for us to return our equipment. We had retrieved the modem/power cord/ethernet cable during our move so those were easy enough to send back. However, Viasat requires you send back a box off of their satellite as well. I felt this was ridiculous but went up to the property to see about removing it. I could not get it off of the satellite, so I asked my landlord to try. He could not retrieve it either.

So I called Viasat and explained the situation. They were, as before, completely useless. I had to pay to have a tech come out and remove the box off of the satellite. However, I no longer live near the property so would not be there for the removal. My landlord agreed to be there for the tech appointment, and I proceeded to send back the rest of the items in the provided box to ensure they went back to the company.

During the appointment, the tech told the landlord that we had to send the box back with the other items, even though 1.) he works for the company and 2.) they knew I was sending the rest back. I refused to take the box back - if it does not get to the company it will be the technician's fault. AVOID this company at all cost. Their service is overpriced, under-performs, and their customer service doesn't exist. Additionally, you are almost forced to use autopay and have to contact them directly to remove your information from their files, even after you cancel your contract. BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I feel that Viasat did not explain how horrible their service is. I did have viasat installed 50 gigabyte plan, it was worthless, then I went into the silver plan 100 gigabyte unlimited plan that was a lie, it is not unlimited Viasat slowed me down to buffering which is very annoying when watching anything especially the news or a movie. I was so unhappy and disgusted with the service, Viasat also does not inform their customers that they do not have a satellite dish in space as the installer told me upon him removing the dish it would not happen until a year or 2 from now, I found Viasat to be a very dishonest Internet provider, locked me in for 3 years and I have to pay Viasat early termination fee of 300.00 plus. Then I immediately returned the equipment and received a bill for 608.00. I would not refer anyone to Viasat/Exede as Provider, Horrendous ISP.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I got Viasat internet services 2 yrs ago because no other internet service is available in my area. When we signed our 2 yr contract we were not told you have to leave your bank info on file for automatic payment. (We do not ever do automatic payment. Our bank has been hacked before.) So we called back and explained that we want to call in every month to pay the bill, we were told we could do that, but we would never be eligible for technical services even though for 2 yrs we paid the maintenance fees. So we paid for the expensive services.

When our 2yr contract was up we started having more problems. Our (unlimited plan, which is NOT unlimited) would run out of data within days of service reset. We called and was told our service was working fine on their computer. But it was NOT working. Was told because they showed us to be running fine, and we didn't have payment method in file we were not eligible for maintenance services. So we disconnected our service. We made sure when we signed and started our service we bought our equipment outright. When we disconnected the rep verified we paid for the equipment.

A month later I received a bill for close to $400. I only owed $170.54 for my services used. I called and was told the extra was because I had not sent back my equipment, I explained that we bought our equipment outright, I was told then, no we only leased our equipment (mind you, we were never able to get a copy of our agreement) and that we had to return the equipment. We agreed to send it all back but verified that no one on their end had ever even attempted to send us the boxes when we disconnected.

I verified my mailing address which is a P.O box. Was never told they could not send my boxes to a P.O box, I called back 2-3 weeks later because I never received my boxes to return the equipment. Then I was told they can not send them to a P.O box. That I have to find a different address to use so I can receive my boxes or I can pay on my own to send them back (mind you I'm sending back equipment I paid for) and now they want me to pay again to send it all back. I still have $150 on my account that I'm not responsible for and if I dont pay it it will go to collection agency.. This business is a JOKE a RIP OFF and a SCAM! I recommend to NEVER use this company. It needs to be shut down and sued for all the money they scam people out of on a daily basis. This place does not deserve one star but I have to put it to leave my review.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I took Viasat because it was an internet service available to me where I lived. At first it was ok. Then they slowed the speed during peak times and I never received the service I signed up for. I couldn’t even stream at the low speed with the outrageous prices I was locked into. To top it off they charged me for the entire month when I finally got to cancel the service early in the service period. Free money to them. I’ve hated Viasat for quite some time now. I am glad to no longer a part of their crappy internet. Good bye Viasat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

First I get charged 300 for lifetime rental of the equipment. I never got the speed they promise and the phone never worked. I canceled after a month. Then I got charged over 400 to cancel. A few weeks later they pick up the dish. Then they charge me 372 for equipment and say they never got it back. It was their people that came here to get the dish off my roof. To add insult to injury now the roof is leaking. I had to get a new card from the bank to get them to stop taking money out of my account and I have to pay a roofer to fix the damage they did. It's cost me so far 1100 for 1 month for a service that was way below what was promised and I still have to pay to get damage to my roof fixed that they did.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have had constant issues with Viasat. Their customer service is a joke, but my biggest problem is the internet speeds. They do not offer what they advertise. I have the 50mbps package and rarely get 20mbps. And when you reach your usage cap they slow you down even more during peak hours. I understood this coming into contract, but I didn’t know that I was going to be slowed down to less than 1mbps, which makes all my devices unusable. Now I have had to look into a supplemental internet provider just to be able to basic internet tasks. Thanks for the pretty roof ornament, Viasat.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I have dealt with some very bad companies in my life, but Viasat takes things to a whole new level. They exist to tell the customer what to do, which is the polar opposite of customer service. The service itself has worked fine for the most part, and as long as you don't need to speak with someone, it's not too bad -- when it works. Save yourself the stress, headaches and lost $$$ -- avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I am a new customer with Viasat Internet, and if I wasn't locked into a 2 year contract they would be losing my business immediately! I have called customer service twice regarding this issue to no avail. I have noticed that my modem gets extremely hot. So much so I am concerned about fire. I have moved it away from all other objects. Although it is true that some heat is normal THIS IS NOT! Their tech support advises a fan or a window. I have had many modems. I never had to do that before!! And when it is hot my service stops. Therefore, I pay for services that are not always delivered.! I have to turn it completely off and wait for it to cool. And I was told if I want new equipment I have to pay!!! That is terrible customer service. I will be leaving this company as fast as possible. Don't make my mistake and get locked into a 2 year contract.

Original review: July 30, 2019

This is honestly one of THE worst companies I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Customer service is bad. Product is worse, as the internet is spotty and slow. Their 2 year contract may as well be one-sided in THEIR favor. I stopped service after my monthly fee increased, even though I was told it was LOCKED IN for 2 years. Never signed anything stating that fee would increase starting with 4th month (they claim I signed something but have yet to show it to me)! Yet, when I stopped service and TWO of their employees told me I could cancel with NOTHING due or owing, I was sent to collections. Per their contract, I had the right to do this and followed THEIR steps! Do yourself a great big favor, GO WITHOUT SERVICE rather than using this company. You will regret using them as many before you have!

Viasat Company Information