Formerly named Exede

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

Viasat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viasat?

Original review: March 17, 2021

The most horrible experience I have ever had. You could not watch a program without it buffering 2-3 hours nightly. We had no service for 35 days. They made and cancelled 3 appts during that time. They expected to be paid for the 35 days of no service. They was trying to bill me for 240.00. I am constantly being pressured to pay them over 400.00. I changed my debit card.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I have Viasat as my internet as Not a lot is available in rural areas. Since I've had it, my connection is so slow it takes sometimes 4-5 minutes to load. At night I'm not even able to use the internet as nothing will upload, download or cooperate in anyway. I called from the start the company over and over to ask for help, getting the same responses, repeating the same procedures given. And when I told them I was repeating the same steps again that didn't help the 3 previous times, I felt the tech I was talking with, was very condescending and insulting as though I was stupid and didn't know what I was doing. I never could get someone out here to see if the problem was in their equipment. The amount I have to pay them for services is ridiculous. I don't recommend them at all.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I originally obtained internet service from WildBlue Satellite. Wildblue was acquired by Viasat. My original account plan was for 15 GB usage for $ 90.51 per month. The cost was based solely on usage. I have retained the same plan since the initial installation. On 1 March 2021 my Visa account was charged $94.66 for my monthly fee for satellite internet usage. There was no explanation or notice in my account file for the additional charge. On 10 March I called the Viasat alleged customer service. As best I could understand the Latino customer service rep he indicated that the additional charge was some form of tax based on my leased equipment. I explained that I had no lease agreement with Viasat for the equipment and my payment was based solely on “usage”. He could not provide me any information as to what government entity the “tax” was being submitted to.

The only Terms and Agreement document I have is the original paperwork from my Wildblue installation. It does not mention any lease of equipment, charges for such leases or tax on the leases. I was never provided any changes to my agreement with Wildblue, when Viasat assumed the service. The Viasat web page contains the statement “After this first bill, your statement will include single-month charges only”, which is clearly false information. Viasat is a prime example of the current generation of tech companies that is totally void of any business ethics knowledge or practices. They have exported their customer service function to Monterey, Mexico. This allows them to pretend they offer customer service and pay a minimal price for it. In fact, any company that exports it customer service to a third world country that barely speaks English doesn’t give a damn about customer service.

The Viasat incompetence provides barriers to even getting to the “customer service”. The computer asked for my phone number. After entering my phone number 4 times it was rejected each time as invalid. I was then asked to enter my account number. It was rejected three times. I then had to wait for a customer rep to answer the call. Amazingly when he answered he already knew my name, phone number and account number! The Viasat web page/log in seems to get changed every 3 or 4 months. Each time it gets worse and slower. I suspect the “satellite” experts are trying to be software experts.

Every 3-4 months I get an error when I attempt to retrieve my email via my Wildblue email account. The error is that the Security certificate for the email site. “The site attempts to identify itself with invalid information” or the “Security certificate is expired”. In order to get my mail I must check off that “I confirm the security exception” each time I access my mail. When I complain the problem is corrected and then 2 –3 months later it happens again. What is so difficult about maintaining a valid website security certificate? I would surmise that Viasat would rather see Wildblue email, which they inherited from Wildblue, simply disappear and therefore provides no support to maintaining it.

In summary Viasat should be banned from the satellite business.

Original review: March 4, 2021

When calling to see about getting service, I was told what I wanted would be $112 a month which is $30 more than what I paid for my last internet service per month.. then I was told it would be $150 installation fee.. when I told the lady I'd have to think about it, she got very agitated and asked me "what was I going to do for Internet service?!", and I told her I had internet on the phone and I didn't appreciate the attitude and that I would be looking elsewhere.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They charge a lot for unlimited internet, unlimited is really not unlimited. You only get so many gbytes a month and if you use them up you practically don't get any internet until the next month. I got it and did updates on my son's Xbox and it couldn't even finish the updates before the internet ran out. It was very upsetting. I paid over 200 a month for me to just have to connect to my phone's hotspot to watch movies. The internet doesn't even work enough to stream an entire movie. It's really sad. When we moved we didn't go into an area where the internet was offered and they still refused to stop our contract. They won't pick up their own equipment, making my husband go to our old house to unbolt the satellite off the house. It's not a good service, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Viasat is the absolute worst internet I have ever had to deal with. WAY too expensive for internet that doesn't work. Don't try to stream anything because you will get 10 secs of show, 45 secs of buffer.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

The WORST customer service. I had to take a day off and drive 2.5 hours to meet them at my rental property to set up service (for which they charged me $100). They called 3 hours before to confirm, then again 30 minutes prior, when I was already 2 hours into my journey, to tell me they didn't have the equipment and would need to reschedule. Why didn't they tell me that on the first call? When I told them I couldn't take another day off and needed to do it on a weekend, they refused to work with my schedule and acted as though I was inconveniencing them!

They robbed me of time and money and bounced me around in an attempt to avoid solving the issue. The service rep, Cynthia, was extremely rude and unsympathetic; when I asked to speak to a supervisor for further help, I was told, "No, no one can help you." Needless to say, I quickly found another Internet company that was happy to come out on a weekend and charged have the monthly fee with no hook up charge. AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Having no internet is better than Viasat because they fail regularly and charge you more than any other company. Viasat failed to provide service for us where no device of ours would connect for months in the afternoons and evenings and when we were forced to find an internet company with reliable service they’re charging us cancellation fees. They even refunded our monthly fee in full in December because their technician admitted they know they’re completely failing their customers currently. We are a nonprofit from 1924 started by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig that’s saves 101,800 members from homelessness and they haven’t budged despite me telling them it’s illegal to charge cancellation fees in the US when they didn’t provide service.

It’s been two days dealing with their customer service where they say they wish they could help but admit it takes days to get management to respond. They only offer to escalate issues with no resolution or refund. They’ve since emailed me twice saying that since my son had called trying to get his video games to work in November that’s why they’re charging us for failing for months because we must have only needed a different service provider for his gaming and their last email said they’re allowed to provide slow internet and still charge customers to cancel.

My internet did not work for months reliably at all. Slow would’ve been ok even. I hadn’t been able to work the hours I needed to from home with their internet service failing. I’m wondering how many customers there are who Viasat financially screwed over when they failed to provide reliable internet and then still charged them to cancel. Their reviews are crap and they’re pulling illegal crap. Especially during Covid this is unconscionable. How many have to have had it with this company to do a class action I’m wondering.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Where do I start. First I called them to cancel my service one month prior to selling my house. They canceled it that day leaving me with no internet for a month. When I realized what they did, they wanted me to sign for another 24 month agreement to reconnect the service. What?! Of course that made no sense and never heard an apology for the inconvenience they caused. Then I had to repeatedly called for the return equipment box. I could get every other package from every delivery company but for some reason I couldn't get their box. FINALLY, over a month of calling, I got the box. I returned the equipment in a timely manner and thought I was done with this company but no! I received a charge for $265. I called them that evening to understand the charge for equipment when I returned it. The rep confirmed that they received the equipment and I should receive a refund in the next 7-10 days.

After 14 days, I called back to see why I haven't received a refund. I was then told that I didn't return a piece from the satellite dish. What?! This wasn't in their return directions. And let's think about this.... They want people to climb on the roof to take a piece of the dish off?? I'm a single mom and don't even have a ladder high enough to get to the roof. DirecTV asks you to recycle their equipment and this company (associated through DirecTV) wants you to climb on a roof. This company tops my list as being one of the worst companies out there. I learned a $265 lesson and will NEVER be another customer of Viasat.

The suspect they won't be in business long considering they can't support basic internet service and provide the worst customer service. I'm writing this to help people make an informed decision before signing up for internet provider. If I could give them a negative star rating, I absolutely would. A one star rating is not the appropriate rating.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

We have had service with this company since 12/2019. I decided to move away from our DSL provider because of the low speeds, and Viasat was one of only 2 other options. When I first did research on this company, we didn't find a lot of bad reviews at the time (apparently this site never showed up in my searches). When they hooked up, the tech was friendly and knowledgeable, and didn't give any impressions of being a horrible choice... That's where the good times ended with this. Since then, I've had to bump our service up to the max in our area, and increase our bill to a whopping $165 a month. And STILL, we get 1-2 weeks of good service before we top out. 2 Tv's and a computer, with occasional cellphones (2) on the network. This somehow equates to 200+GB a month in data use...

Friday, 2/4/21, our internet was completely shut off (not the normal .25mbps we get at the end of our billing cycle). I talked to their tech support, which told me our antenna wasn't aligned (had a re-alignment 2-weeks prior to this) and it would be 2-weeks to get someone out to fix it. I requested to elevate our situation with their supervisor, Pablo, who was even less helpful. They rely on a 3rd Party company to provide service, and they are absolutely unable to fix anything in less than 2-weeks... (Funny, the re-alignment took 48 hours for a tech to show up, definitely quick).

In addition, as it turns out, the dish isn't out of alignment... Today it's working again. For the entire time we've been with this company, we've gotten the runaround. They play games with their customers, push to go to higher contract tiers to fix ramped data usage and still throttle them down after a week or 2 into their cycle. No solutions, only pay more and that will fix it, then nothing gets fixed. Done with this company, and recommend others to stay clear of them! You're better off hotspotting off your cellphone than paying for this garbage! DON'T GET SERVICE WITH VIASAT! You will only regret it in the end!

Viasat Company Information