Netzero

PO Box 3009, Westlake Village, CA 91359

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I keep getting websites that change to hacking or you win. I told tech support that I keep automatically getting sent to these web links and that that email site is not secured. And they told me that I need to add https instead of http. Well it didn't work. My firewall actually said that's not a secure site and it's risky to continue on to it. NetZero is only secured when you go into the login screen. Once, you logged in, they're not secure anymore and it goes from ??? to not secured and this is the only website that it happens to me on and NetZero isn't doing anything to change it. I repeatedly told them I keep getting auto forwarded to these sites once I log in and they basically tell me it's my fault and once, I log in, it's under their secure servers so it won't show the locked sign in the address bar and I shouldn't have that problem. Last night it happened 10 times. I even tried logging into Incognito browser and it still was happening.

Actual speeds tested with 3 online speed test companies reveal no better than 334KB/sec consistently - testing 20 times over a one year period. Currently in my busy residential area, actual speed is 224KB/second. If you want to see "Server not found" on your screen, nearly every page change, sometimes 8 or ten times in a row trying to access a single page, this is your choice for a provider. If you want to be lied to about the problem being your equipment, this is your choice. Otherwise use a pigeon.

In 2008 I moved. Shut off my phone. Told Netzero I had to cancel dial-up. They said if I disconnected my dial up they would cancel my email too. I was forced to pay over $100.00 a year for email attached to my business. So I paid over a $100.00 a yr til 2017. Found out it was free or $21.95 a year. They had lied. Asked for a refund (at $900.00). They said they could do the two current months at $14.95 and apply 5 months to 5 years future emails at $21.95 a year. I gave in and said ok. Forgave them for $800.00. How did they thank me? Never got the refund. Complained to my bank to investigate the refund. Netzero blocked my email to my business and kept ALL money. They said to put my email working they needed a current credit card.

They took my card and blocked my email and now have ALL my money and my credit card. You cannot make this stuff up. They said because I put the charges that they did not refund into dispute they are cutting me off of my business email I have had for over 20 years. My customers were calling wondering what happened to my email. I still can't get my emails and they have all my money. Told me I had to wait two days until they decided what they would do. They have interrupted my business and have stolen over $900.00 from me. Beware of this company.

I decided to CANCEL my service for NETZERO around New Year's, at the beginning of January 2017. Haven't been using their service for over 6 weeks and they STILL charged me around $32 for their ** DSL service which is hardly fast at all! How does Netzero still take money off of my card (without MY consent at that) and I haven't been using their services for a month-and-a-half and at one point they actually blocked me from using their account at the beginning of February but in the middle of the month still snatch money off my card even though I CAN'T use their services. They are ** THIEVES, they are FRAUDULENT for raiding people's Debit/Credit cards without their customer's consent!

Netzero are as greedy and sketchy as Verizon is at this point. There are mobile broadband services that are much cheaper than Netzero ranging from $10 a month to paying $10 every 60 days (2 months). And in the case of some ISPs, they provide FREE internet, all you need is the device! So, Netzero isn't really needed! These bastards will STILL charge people for money, even after you cancel their services or if they simply just suspend your account so you can't use your own computer, they'll still raid your card for money with your knowledge or your consent! Please don't do business with greedy thieves that have subpar customer service at that! 40 MINS holding on the line for some help? Are you kidding me?

I had a NetZero account for years as a backup for use while traveling, etc. When they raised their rates I decided it was no longer a needed expense and attempted to cancel. Good luck with this. I called Customer Service and was told I needed to call another number to cancel. I did so and was on hold for 20 minutes until I hung up. So I emailed them that I wanted to cancel the account immediately and got an email back that I'd receive a response in 24 hours. Well, that took 24 x 11, 11 days! The response was I needed to call this number. Call the number and told to call another number. Call that number, hit option 3 to cancel account, and get a service rep in DSL support who tells me that I have to call the same number I called.

So I took my automatic billing credit card off the account and placed an expiring card in the account profile. I did this because you have to have a live account in the profile for it to allow you to save your edits to your account. Get this. They still charged my account the next month with the expired card! NetZero went into the account profile and changed the expiration date! Unbelievable. I would recommend staying away from any interaction with this company, NetZero.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netzero?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Like many others on this board, we continued to be billed by Netzero even after we cancelled. The scam is that "for security purposes", they require you to cancel by phone. That way, the customer gets a confirmation number but no written record of the cancellation. When we discovered Netzero was still withdrawing money and keeping our account active 7 months after the cancellation, we emailed their billing dept. twice trying to get a refund for the 7 months, each time giving them the date and confirmation number. Their second reply claims they have no record of the cancellation. So, what, they're just making up these confirmation numbers? Of course they refused the refund, and insisted again we had to cancel by phone. We're filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, and would be all too glad to participate in a class-action suit against this company.

I ordered and paid for the broadband internet connection. When I got it, I was not able to get connected. I called their tech dept, but the guy asked me to go get a router and an adapter to get connected. I did but to no avail. For 6 months, I was being charged for services that am not receiving. To make matters worse, I got an email telling me that there are raising the fees another $8. I asked to be cancelled, and a refund but was given a phone number that did not work. Then another email saying they would not refund any money. They continue to debit the new rate from my account. I finally had to call their billing, pretending to be asking for upgrade for me to get a live person, then asked to be cancelled, and was finally sent that department who did all he can to get me to stay on. Adamant, I finally easy able to cancel the service I paid for but never was able to use.

Purchased external WiFi modem and had to go to Platinum plan because data would run out after 3 movies and connection was horrible. Had to add money for extra data after paying for highest plan. When I tried to cancel account number that I had no problem using became non-working, along with 3 other numbers from different Netzero websites. All non-working. Expressed problem on website and left number for them to contact me. Reply was "has to be done by phone" and same non-working number issued. Now email not working since I canceled card. Ummmmm.

Netzero sucks. Locked me out of email account. Have emailed them 3 times - ** as my password supposedly was compromised, make no difference any way. Mail is over 13 years old... need a tech from net zero to call me at **... what jerks.

I have had the free NetZero service for over 12 years with very little problem. Once you have it working - it usually stays functional without any technical problems. I have never had a problem with data or not enough storage and I keep everything. I have DSL and it runs smoothly. However - when you do encounter a problem it can be hard to get technical help. I am working on that now and will update this post when I find a solution (my emails will suddenly not send).

I took a $9.95 package. I purchased the modem. Within a few uses of the system I kept adding money to get little service. After doing this many times I only inquired about their 19.95 deal. I was out of town did not use this but on my return I receive my bank statement only to discover they were deducting the 19.95 every month. When I finally got someone in the Philippines she said I ordered this 19.95. I told her I only inquired about it. I immediately went to the bank to cancel. This the most rip business I had ever seen. I was told they are not issuing a refund.

I recently purchased Netzero Internet service and was told it was available in my area. After receiving the device (Mi Wi Fi), I hooked it up and was expecting to get on the Internet, to my surprise... I was not! I called and spoke with their "IT Techs" and he had me to restart the device, then stick something sharp in the hole of the device, (supposedly, this was to reset it), then remove the battery, and reinsert it after 10 seconds. Then it was suggested to me to try a new device. I agreed to give it one more try. So I had them send me a self addressed stamped envelope. (I wasn't paying to send their device back!). Once I received the new device, I hooked it up and guess what? You guessed it, same thing! I called yet again only to have to repeat the steps from earlier. All of which still did not work! I was still not able to get a signal... PERIOD! I used it in both of my bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathroom.

The Tech recommended that I try outside! Really?! Who wants to use their computer outside all the time? To this, I replied NO. This was repeated the next few days by 3 more IT Techs, to no avail. Then the Customer service rep tried to convince me to retain the service as "Pay as you go". I mean, really? What am I paying for if I'm unable to get service in the first place? I replied no, and to cancel my service & refund my money to my card. To which I was told I wouldn't be receiving a refund as the money I'd spent was for the shipment of the device along with applicable taxes & fees. When I told the rep, I'd send it back (at my own expense, of course), I was told I could keep it! Keep it, really! It doesn't work, why would I want to keep something that doesn't work is beyond me! I told the rep to keep the money, instead of a refund I'd do a scathing review of Netzero's service.

So here it is, DO NOT PURCHASE NETZERO! I WOULDN'T after this experience, purchase ANYTHING from this CROOKED Company! If you do, expect to get exactly what you purchased... Zero! This company is dishonest in its business practices. Also, block Netzero with your credit card company as they will continue to bill your card after they've told you that your service has been cancelled..

We ordered the Netzero DSL a while ago, and for a while it was ok. We actually referred it to my inlaws. Instead they got some wifi hub, based off of cell phone G3 with limited data they used up in a few days and had to pay extra for more data. Partly her fault for not being 100% clear. However cancelling with them is impossible. Now with our DSL, we keep losing internet connection, and is dramatically slower (even for DSL) than it ever was.

I complained to Netzero about constantly losing internet, and not being able to connect to web pages due to DNS errors. They keep telling me it is our computer, and reset this and that and clear the cache. I have done this many times, even having our IT guy at work service my computer. We are also trying multiple devices, ALL with the same trouble. They still say it is our problem with their cookie cutter, copy and paste generic response. We are looking at getting cable internet asap.

*One word of advice from my mother in laws experience. When you cancel with Netzero, either call your credit card company, and tell them to block Netzero, as they will keep trying to bill you, or tell your card company the card has been compromised, and to cancel. It is MUCH easier to deal with the credit card company over Netzero. Good luck.

When you cancel with these people make sure they cancel everything including their rinky-dink anti-virus, and get and keep your confirmation reference number handy because otherwise your billing won't stop and you will spend hours on hold waiting for someone in the Far East to answer the phone and then try to market you back in.

DO NOT RISK ANY of YOUR MONEY to NETZERO. Ordered WiFi, and after a couple of days, tried to cancel the order because sister in law had horrible time with them. They would not refund money until modem was returned. We returned modem and called many times to secure the refund which was never obtained. The day I cancelled, seemed like normal transaction, I got off phone and immediately got a second "welcome to NETZERO" email as if I had just signed up. The 'PARTIAL' refund was only put back into my Netzero account, not sent to me via my credit card which I used to set up. Then, the money "refunded" was then applied to other charges which I never have understood.

Customer service runaround and incompetence, likely not even in America call center. No training, no access to managers to help resolve these practices. Never once used their wifi or any of their service, more than 6 months have gone by and had to finally cancel my credit card because they are still charging me $7.95 a month??? I am mounting a search for other Netzero victims and exploring class action suit for this corrupt company. DO NOT RISK IT. They are CROOKED. It is their model.

My husband and I were interested in getting internet. We spoke to a representative and was very specific in what we wanted. He told us about a specific plan that would best suit our needs. All we had to pay that day of placing the order was for the device which they were running a promotion deal on. We agreed. Then he told us we would be billed each month on the 27th. We received our device days later. Started watching movies and by the second day we couldn't get a connection. So I called only to be told we needed to buy more minutes.

We were very upset. I argued with the representative about the situation, she later offer 2000 free minutes which was practically nothing. She told us if we didn't want to get billed, we should call before the 27th. So we did. We found out that they took money out of our account without our permission. We paid for the device on April 27 and then we were billed for the use of data on the 30th of April when it was to be taken out on May 27. I called to cancel service and the cancellation representative kept trying to offer different data plans.

I told her NO numerous of times, I just want to cancel. I argued about the payment taking out without our consent (I stood my ground). Not only are they going to refund the money they took out without permission but they're also going to refund our money for the device. Be aware of them taking money out your account without your permission.

I bought NetZero broadband and from the moment I tried to hook up I had difficulty. I received a zip strip in the mail and a disk several days later only for it to fail and they had to send me another set. Received those about 10 days ago and got so frustrated I canceled the account. Last Friday I reactivated it thinking that maybe they could finally get me up and running. 3 and 1/2 hours later I was on the phone with multiple departments only to be told that they had to forward it to the senior tech department and I would get a phone call within 48 hours. Well it is now 4 days later and no phone call. I called and cancelled once again only to be given grief over cancelling. You don't get people that talk clear english and that too is also a problem.

This was a while ago but leaving a review so others are safe. ALL calls within my area code are free (obviously) that's what area codes protect. But the phone number THEY provided had a service fee attached to it. I used the internet at normal lengths of time and at the end of the month they billed me $300. It's actually deplorable. Not only for NetZero i.e. the scam artist (obviously) but for the industry that allows them to get away with it. Needless to say, I didn't pay it.

I ordered wifi with Netzero and activated it. I asked the rep before I ordered did they have unlimited access. He told me, "yes". Once I went online that same day I activated my modem. I ran out of data after watching one movie. I called them to see what's going on. They said I had to buy more data. Long story short their service is horrible! They took my money and told me I can't get a refund when I offered to return their merchandise. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau tomorrow. I'm so disappointed with them and will not recommend anyone purchase their services. It's a scam.

Too bad there is not a star from 0 to 10 because I would give them a 0. I called NetZero and signed up for the service. I asked the young lady helping me if they had unlimited data and she said yes. I received the device and turned it on and it worked fine until the next day. Tried to get online, got an error message, no data and to make a payment for more data. I call to see why and was then told it was not unlimited. I then cancelled the plan and asked for a refund. I sent the device back and they are now claiming they have not received the device. I sent it back with the label that they provided. This company is full of lies and I would never recommend them to my worst enemy. They are a bunch of living crooks. I will be speaking to my lawyer next.

I purchased an iPhone to use their cell service in August 2015. They required a Sprint iphone so I bought one on eBay. The phone was in perfect working condition but locked to Sprint. I immediately knew I made a mistake when they tried to charge me $20 activation even though the website said free activation and then I had to make at least 8 phone calls to get it setup on their network. After all this it worked fine.

Ya, it worked fine until January when Netzero notified me they were closing the cell service. Verbally, Netzero promised to unlock my phone to the carrier of my choice. A couple weeks later, I asked to have the phone unlocked to Consumer Cellular. After many more promises they never did it. When I called for help they would just say "We need to transfer you to the correct dept" and send me to a number that only said u.s. online is closed. After about 20 calls to the idiots nothing was done. I sold the phone and a new factory unlocked phone. Instead of making false promises. They could have told me upfront and saved me many calls to a support dept that was no help.

The mobile device always had a weak connection where ever I put it in my apartment. The first day I used it the data ran out and I had to upgrade to a more data package, this was the first day I used it. Then the second day I used it the data ran out again. I couldn't even use it a whole day with it running out. I'm a full-time student and do classes online and thought this was a great option to use, but I was wrong! They wanted me to upgrade again to a higher costing upgrade. I was already at the 79.00 package, which was my second upgrade. I couldn't go any higher. It is completely too costly of a service, I don't recommend it to anyone unless you have a deep wallet! Plus the connection was poor! I live in a metroplex with plenty of towers. There should of been a better connection.

I ordered the equipment for wireless service, web page said 3 to 5 business days. Two weeks after I ordered and still have not received equipment I called. They told me to be patient. I waited another week then called again. Once again I was told to wait. I told them I wanted a full refund. They took 98.00 out of my account and when I went to my bank, Netzero decided to refund 20.00 out of the 98.00. By doing this my bank will not refund because they said Netzero gave me a refund (yeah 20.00). I was then told that there is nothing I can do. I was ripped off by Netzero. They are a RIP-OFF. There is not any other way of saying this, they stole from me.

Netzero - internet service, price was reasonable! We received the device (for sister, unable to work), slow. Stopped! We got a new one, it never worked!! Refund promised. Kept charging my card!!! Over $374.00. Remedy? 50+ emails.

Took a week to receive the device. It never attained a quality level of reception because their flashing indicator should be on solid, but mine always flashed indicating a weak signal. The service was extremely slow and barely usable. In a four day period, we used up all of our data by only using eBay and Facebook on and off. They shut it off and charged me 10 dollars to start it up again and it only lasted 24 hours. I cancelled my account and returned the hotspot device. I asked for a full refund. We will see!!! STAY AWAY FROM NETZERO!!!

Very poor customer service experiences. The first time, simple request -- finally had to ask the BBB to intervene and problem was solved. Second time -- received the run-around - different phone numbers to contact only to end up at the first place I called. Last time I tried to cancel my account - run-around again. Given different phone numbers to contact and ended up where I started. Was told account could only be canceled via e-mail, which I explained numerous times that I didn't want to use as my account was hacked. The person I was talking with asked if I had access to a friend's computer to use. That is ridiculous. Sent e-mail request and was informed that cancellation had to be made via phone. Very frustrating.

I signed up for Netzero hoping to lower my internet bill. When the connection - flash drive arrived, I was online with a very kind person for almost 2 hours trying to help me connect to my services. Nothing. So, I called Netzero to cancel my account since their service was not compatible with my computer. I followed the directions from the Netzero representative and mailed back the flash drive. So, I lost my $50.00 sign up fee, the cost of the flash drive, $17.00 and the cost of postage (with tracking) to send the device back. Just today, I received an mails stating my account was never closed and my first bill is coming due. In summary, no service, lost money, closed account, now being asked to pay monthly bill for a closed account!

This company is a complete scam. We pay for 5 gig of Internet. We used the Internet maybe for 10 mins at our shop to order parts from a local parts store and the Internet quit working. Called and they claim we've already used all of our data. Had to pay $60 again to turn it back on. They said even if we don't use the Internet "you're using it up." We left the computers off the next day, no one was connected. Used the Internet again for maybe 10 mins to look up parts for customers vehicle and now it's already quit working. They want us to pay another $60 claiming we used up our monthly allowance. So basically we're paying $60 for every 10 mins of basic Internet browsing. This place is a major scam and we've had issues with them from day 1. I only pay $52 a month at home through AT&T unlimited use and use it like crazy. Netzero they want us to pay $60 for using the computer for 10 mins.

I signed up for a one year contract for about 15 dollars per month, and no one told me the fees would go up to 28 dollars after 6 months. I believe this company is a scam outfit, all consumers be careful.

I don't know much about the internet, but I decided to use it to look for things that I am interested in. I won't be spending much time on there, so I chose netzero as my internet service, especially since I could use it away from home. I ordered their service and waited and waited. I called a few times, only to get the reply that it would be there anytime and how to track it online. Well, I have no online, so how can I check it? I did go to a friend's house and she tried to find the info out online, to no avail. I called and as usual, was put on hold and given the option to be called back in 30 minutes or so.

What is this, the 19th century? Neither my friend or I had the time to wait, so I decided to give netzero until Monday, and then I would cancel. No netzero, so I called, finally got through, got offered the moon and told them I want my money back. Finally the CSR got with the program, and authorized the refund. If I ran an internet company, I would bend over backward to get that modem and disk to me, not give excuses every time I call. I wouldn't have 400+ negative reviews. Please, if you haven't yet gotten their service, don't. I believe that they will be going bankrupt soon with their product and customer service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Just as its name suggests, it is possible to get online for free. Using the freemium model, NetZero is able to offer the free service (200 MB of bandwidth) to some customers because other customers pay a premium for faster speeds and more space (up to 6 GB).

• The world's first free option: Many have followed NetZero's pricing model over the years, but it was the first to offer free Internet, as early as 1998.
  • Hot spot add-on: One of the useful extras customers can get with NetZero is a 4G hot spot that connects up to eight devices. When the modem is tethered to a laptop through a USB, devices can connect to the Internet as fast as regular Wi-Fi.
  • Good reputation for customer service: Compared with the large ISPs, NetZero has a much better reputation for solving customer issues 24/7 by email. Telephone support is also available for the premium service.
  • Best for People who need simple browsing at a low price and people who need to connect while on the road.

Compare Internet Service Providers