1.11/5

PO Box 3009, Westlake Village, CA 91359

Netzero Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I now have the free email service of Netzero. I used to use the internet service including mobile broadband but stopped. My email site is now full of spyware that forwards you to many sites that claim I’m a winner, or Walmart has an offer or congratulations Apple user. This does not happen on any other site. The email is virtually unusable now because it keeps giving pop ups and redirects me to hacked sites. I have tons of mail contacts on this site and now will have to individually change addresses on all contacts. As I said this doesn’t happen to me on any other site or email program. Also, some companies say my email program has blocked them. If I use this site at the library, it locks up the browser after a while of being on the site.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Netzero charges my credit card with services that I do not want. I have sent three e-mails to them telling them I do not want their services but they keep on taking out charges and do not answer my e-mails. I have informed Discover Card but they have failed to resolve the situation. I am tired of paying 14.95 a month for something I do not use or want. Years ago I had an account with them but then switched to broadband. I do not know what to do to stop this. A person should not have to pay for something they do not use or want.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I've been a customer for some 20 years, started as a free subscriber but later a paid MegaMail Plus subscriber. I experienced a big increase of $10 in 2017 to current 34.95 annually. Other than that service was fine, but their billing practices has gotten worse. Rather than send annual reminders or pending suspension notifications they now immediately suspend your account if not paid on the due date or if the credit card they bill is invalid. This action caused me to lose business and emails I will never see. I have complained to their billing and customer service to no avail. Other than an apology, they will ignore you with no corrective action. The problem is there is no one to talk to by phone except email. This is no way to treat any customer, especially a paid subscriber. Their policy needs to change and hopefully, their management takes notice and improve their customer service when it comes to billing issues.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've used netzero.com for over twenty-five years, in order to keep my email address I agreed to pay a yearly fee of $12 after I signed up for broadband service with another company. This month I notice a charge on my credit card which I did not recognize. After talking to the customer service rep, he explained the charge was for the dial-up service. I explained to him that I did not use dial-up since the early '90s and that I never requested or agreed for them to provide said service. He told me someone else would call me to let me know the results of the inquiry.

Meanwhile, I checked my bank statements and found that they had charged me a monthly fee for a year and a half. ($88) After several hours on the phone, they basically told me they will not refund the money. So I'm going thru the bank to try to recover what they withdrew without my authorization. Customers be aware of their tactics and do not give them your credit card number under any circumstance, you will regret it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had NetZero about 5 years ago. I canceled and they still billed me. I spoke with a representative and was told that they canceled my account. A year goes by and I noticed that they charged me again. I called again and they reverse the charges and canceled the account. Believe it or not they charged me a third time for an account that I closed twice. This time I called and threatened to contact an attorney if they did not stop charging for an account that I do not have. Now they are sending me an email "As A New Member" every day and it has been almost another year. Please avoid this fraudulent company. They are a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netzero?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My parent recently passed away. I never had access to my parent's bank account until now. During my review of records, Netzero was drafting from my parent's bank account since Nov 2013. I knew they did not use Netzero and when I called, Netzero this month to dispute these charges (bank drafts) they confirmed there was no activity as of May 2014 (as far as their records went back). My parent was 87 years old and passed away this month at 91.

Their resolution for overcharging my parent 4 years (~1000.00) they only credited 8 (eight) months and that is after two weeks worth of going back and forth letting them know this was not acceptable. They originally said 1 month. Their reasoning is that my 91 year old parent should have called to cancel. Even though they could tell my parent never used the service (As of May 2014) and not once did they ever follow up due to no activity, they sure didn't have a problem drafting the money each month for 4 years. Very unethical and after many opportunities that I gave them to do the right thing, they didn't. I am very disappointed in how Netzero handled this AND I will be sure to spend the word! From: Never a customer and never will be a customer.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I used to like NetZero but since moving and having new service everything was shipped to house and we set it up. Still cables on the ground. The box, the cable goes to no cover and my connection to wifi is horrible and this is just the beginning.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I've been using Netzero email for over 20 years. Other than having the 10MB limitations on attachments, it's been fine. (Quirky on my recent iPad acquisition though). Now I've run into a problem and have emailed their tech support for assistance. I'll bet I'm on 50 plus emails trying to get some assistance. They have apparently quotas of responded to emails or automatic keyword detection with computer generated responses. EACH answer I've received has nearly the same first three paragraphs apologizing, thanks for patience... Blah blah blah, followed by suggestions that clearly indicate they've NOT read my question and clearly do NOT understand the issue. I've requested they phone me over and over.

They have given me their tech support line and a REQ number, yet I cannot get through their system. It asks for my first three characters of my email address and it doesn't acknowledge my email address. They say they'll call me and they say they're working on the problem. Then they reply I'm doing something wrong. I send them screenshots showing the steps that create the problem and they thank me for sending them, then ask me to do the EXACT same thing that I just sent them screenshots to demonstrate that I did ALREADY what they're asking me to do AGAIN... I'm COMPLETELY FED UP with their HORRIBLE tech support.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My grandmother canceled her NetZero subscription 2 years ago due to awful service and so many surprise charges added to her bill. I called today to see why they are charging her $30/month still. The lady in whatever country they work out of said this is because she's being charged $6.95/Mo for Norton antivirus. Well, that doesn't explain why they are charging her $30/Mo nor why they signed her up for a "free trial" of something she neither wanted nor has use for, all without her knowledge. They are liars and cheats who prey upon people who aren't shady enough to see what they're up to. By NetZero's calculations they stole $168 from her, but it's really more like $720. DO NOT LET ANYONE YOU LOVE HAVE DEALINGS WITH THIS AWFUL COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had ordered the NetZero Broadband Mobile Service at the beginning of October. They promised that they would send the Netstick to my current shipping address. They never shipped out this specific item which I was billed for. I had to call them after waiting some time for the Netstick but was told by Customer Service that it was still pending. I finally canceled my Netzero Internet Service Provider Account. They will not issue me a full refund until I receive the replacement Netstick in the mail. My personal recommendation is not to go with any of their particular Internet Plans.

Netzero expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just as its name suggests, it is possible to get online for free. Using the freemium model, NetZero is able to offer the free service (200 MB of bandwidth) to some customers because other customers pay a premium for faster speeds and more space (up to 6 GB).

• The world's first free option: Many have followed NetZero's pricing model over the years, but it was the first to offer free Internet, as early as 1998.

• Hot spot add-on: One of the useful extras customers can get with NetZero is a 4G hot spot that connects up to eight devices. When the modem is tethered to a laptop through a USB, devices can connect to the Internet as fast as regular Wi-Fi.

• Good reputation for customer service: Compared with the large ISPs, NetZero has a much better reputation for solving customer issues 24/7 by email. Telephone support is also available for the premium service.

• Best for: People who need simple browsing at a low price and people who need to connect while on the road.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs