LivingSocial

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a voucher from Living Social for a deep cleaning for my apartment. When I called to schedule the appointment, I was told I had to wait two weeks to schedule. While I was not thrilled about having to wait that long to redeem something I already paid for, I agreed and scheduled the cleaning. My cleaning was scheduled for Tues the 15th.

Monday the 14th I had not heard from the company since I called to schedule. Therefore, I called the company to confirm. I was told I the computer was down to call back later. I did, but no one answered. I left a voicemail, but my call was not returned. I called again the morning of my appointment. The guy said he would call me back. Of course, he didn't so I called again. They gave me the runaround and eventually stopped answering my calls. I got through to him one last time, and he stated he could not reach the cleaning people so I needed to reschedule. I refused because the experience was already shady in my opinion. I told the guy I was going to contact Living Social for a refund.

I called Living Social and was told my voucher had already been redeemed by the company, but they would send it to the escalation department to get me a refund. I was told they would contact me via email. I waited a week to hear from them. They never contacted me. I called back, and they told me the merchant services said they called the Saturday prior to my appointment (Monday the 14th), and I didn't return the call. They did not even have the right date or time for my appointment, and I never received a phone call or voicemail from anyone. I had to call them. Living Social said since they were getting the story from the merchant Sevices they could not help me. The vendors could be doing this to who knows how many people.

They refused to give me a refund or credit. They didn't even offer for me to have the people come out and actually perform the service I paid for. I was told there wasn't anything they could do. This company is an absolute joke. Do not buy anything from them. I wish I would've researched them more prior to purchasing from them.

I have been a customer of LivingSocial for a number of years and am deeply disappointed with the treatment just received by the customer service representative. I purchased the Online Life Coaching voucher towards an online program. I was not aware there was a limited time in which the voucher could be used. As I just recently moved and changed careers, I did not yet use the voucher and had just realized it expired. I did not think there would be any issue as LivingSocial is still advertising this deal and it has the Good deal guarantee in which you can exchange an unredeemed, unscheduled Voucher for the paid value. I thought I would be protected by this as LivingSocial has earned $203 without providing any services whatsoever.

Buyer beware!!! I purchased a LivingSocial voucher to a local restaurant. My husband and I went to have dinner there last night and the location is closed. LivingSocial refuses to give me my money back... other than a credit on their site. I don't even understand how this is legal? Seems that any unused, unexpired vouchers should be refunded if a location closes? Will NEVER purchase from them again and will tell others to do the same.

I have been a really good customer for years. Recently I went to redeem my voucher at Bamboo Beach Club & Tiki Bar. I called Livingsocial because the voucher was expired and they told me that the merchant will accept the voucher for the amount I paid. LivingSocial rep assured me that. So, I went to the place and they told me actually to leave the promises that they do not honor. Nothing at all. Upset, I called LivingSocial, and I mentioned about the policy of taken the paid value and she said "yes" they will... So, I told her "Well, NOOO, they are not taking it." So she (LivingSocial rep) called the merchant right away and they told her the same thing. Livingsocial rep told me that she would escalate this to her superior and they will contact me back. Well, again another lie, NO ONE IS CONTACTING ME BACK.

So this means that I lost my money? YES. EVEN IF THEY TELL ME TO GO BACK, I'm not planning to go back to that place. They treated me as a no welcome person when purchasing vouchers is to enjoy and have a good time. I will not go there and risk to have a bad experience AGAIN. It is sad to think that LIVINGSOCIAL IS NOT backing up THEIR promises like have the merchant honor an expired voucher, and the "GOOD DEAL GUARANTEE" is also for an advertisement purpose ONLY... All I'm asking is for deal bucks... you know my information. Please contact me in reference to this issue.

I purchased 2 orders from 2 different companies on the same day. 1 was a puffer jacket I was hoping to have delivered in time for my son's birthday, the other was a six-pocket sofa armrest organiser over 3 weeks ago and I live in Ireland and these companies are suppose to be based in England. I would have thought 5/7 days max for my order to arrive but after 7 emails to LivingSocial and feeling so frustrated at being ripped of by these cockroaches still no sign of my orders. Please consumers be aware and think carefully when ordering from this site. I will add to this review in the coming weeks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

I ordered a tablet for my son. It's been 6 weeks and still no tablet even though I got an email confirming it was dispatched. I've rang every week and their customer service is no help. I'm demanding my money back tomorrow when I ring for the sixth week in a row. Don't buy from this sham of a company. I never will again.

I have spent way too much money with LivingSocial and for that expect a level of customer service that is fair. I was pulled around with by of their merchants, waiting for an available appt only to find myself still waiting now months later. I called LivingSocial to reconcile. Due to the voucher being recently expired they said they literally could not do anything for me. I understand a refund cannot be processed but how about deal bucks back, credit? Denied, "sorry we can't do anything" I was told. I told the supervisor that someone has issued deal bucks to me before simply for an inconvenience with the merchant and he stutters "oh oh ya I can do that here's $10". Well I'm asking for $30 since this is what I lost in my original purchase. He says "well I can't do that." "But... you just said that and then turned around and gave me ten... do it two more times, easy." He says "your voucher expired (3 weeks ago), I can't do anything."

So I ask for the next supervisor and am told there's no way to get a hold of her, Jamie ** is her name, because she doesn't have an extension. I press the issue. Well now she's on break. Ok I'll leave a message for her, "well she wouldn't speak to you anyway". Excuse me? So I am being denied a chance to speak with someone about a merchant issue that's now also a customer service issue. He kept circling around in lies, can we just squash the issue and make this right for crying out loud?! I feel scammed by both companies involved. This guy actually told me if I was distrusting of the merchant and called I could have gotten my money back - so I'm supposed to not believe your business partners will follow through with their end of the deal? That's all hypocrisy. Forget LivingSocial. I feel stupid for wasting hundreds, thousands, on this site that really doesn't look out for their customers.

I ordered a 14K gold necklace on October 5th 2016. I received the necklace approximately a week and a half later. I wore it once. No problems. I tried to wear it a second time yesterday. When I tried to adjust the clasp around to the back the necklace broke in the center. I immediately called LivingSocial and did not ask for a refund but simply a replacement. No way, they can help me. After all, it has been 14 days. So, I guess it needed to break in the first 14 days or you are out of luck. What a ripoff. I am extremely disappointed in LivingSocial. I have been a loyal customer since 2012 and have spent thousands of dollars with this company. I am not sure what happened, but they have lost my business for good. :(

Purchased gutter cleaning service. Scheduled the service. No one showed up for the appointment. Ultimately they told me they couldn't do the job and I needed to contact LivingSocial for a refund. After about 45 minutes on hold I was told I could have company "Credit". Sorry, I want out and a refund. No address for these folks which makes it ultra shady. Am disputing the charge with my credit card company. Has anyone had any luck going after these guys?

Avoid doing business with Night of Mystery and LivingSocial. I purchased a LivingSocial voucher which I let expire. Supposedly, although the voucher expired, I can have the paid value applied toward purchases until November 2020. Night of Mystery's website would not allow me to apply the promotional value so I sent an e-mail to Night of Mystery through their website letting them know about the paid value and that I will wanted to purchase a game from them. No response. LivingSocial has a phone number for people in my situation to call. The first time I called, I was told that LivingSocial will contact the vendor to contact me to resolve the issue. I was also told that if I don't hear from Night of Mystery, to contact LivingSocial once more and the complaint will be escalated.

In addition to this, I was told that if I didn't hear back I could file a complaint on documentationunlimited.com. I didn't hear back so I contacted LivingSocial just now. This "customer service" person had an "I don't care" attitude telling me that because the voucher expired, LivingSocial is no longer responsible for what happens and they don't escalate problems. It's between me and the vendor (differing from what was initially disclosed). I asked the lady what I'm supposed since they didn't respond. She said, "Keep trying." No effort to help at all. I then asked if documentationunlimited.com meant anything to her. She corrected me saying that it was documentationatlivingsocial.com if I wanted to complain. NEITHER WEBSITE WORKS! Both LivingSocial and Night of Mystery have lost my business.

I bought a dinner coupon for Graham Elliot. It expired in March, 2016. Graham Elliot closed in September, 2016. LivingSocial takes no responsibility for the vendor, nor does it take any responsibility for my $63 that they took. The website says "can't contact the vendor? Call us." I did, and they merely stated and restated that "it is our policy not to refund in these cases."

I bought a LivingSocial voucher for air duct cleaning. Guy from a duct company showed up with a woman. From the first look guy was looking suspicious. Looking at him I do not want him to enter my home but since he was coming from LivingSocial representative I let him in the house. He roamed around in my house asking for duct location. After few mins brought the paper and asked me to sign it. I said "You did not do anything other than roaming around", he said "I am done." When I argue with him he said "I will sue you. I will take you the court."

Incident was reported immediately to LivingSocial. They told me that they will inquire it and refund the money. I realized that money was never refunded. I called LivingSocial today and they told me that it was written that you called us about it but it was not written that we will refund the money. Since voucher is expired we will not refund the money. Looks like a LivingSocial is running some kind of fraud where it sends suspicious persons to your home and it seems there is nexus between LivingSocial and some individual to run fraud for making free money from the people. I suggest that LivingSocial activities should be investigated and all the activities should be banned right away.

I ordered a product on Sept 7 2016. The products was never delivered. I tracked the package on the DHL site. The site told me it was being deliver in Sept. 23rd. I finally got DHL on the phone and they said the package was sent back to DHL. They didn't know why. I have been trying to contact LivingSocial. DHL gave me the telephone number but it was disconnected and the other number plays the same recording every day saying that they will answer the call in 30 minutes. This company is a scam! It happened to me about 2 years back but I let it go. Now the same thing happened. No way of contacting them.

I get several emails with all the specials and one night, I decided to browse and dream. I was looking at a 5 night all inclusive vacation when to my surprise, my card has been charged and I never even submitted the request!! Now, I call my credit card company to let them know what happens and they send a charge back request into LivingSocial. LivingSocial says, here is the proof of a valid IP address!! My credit card company says, there's nothing we could do and LivingSocial says, "Your 30-day refund policy is up and we are sorry, there is nothing we could do."

I explained that same night the transaction went through. I immediately tried calling them several times and COULD NOT get through to anyone. So I went online, looked up executive emails for LivingSocial, emailed this VP, I have proof of the email, and they say... umm no that's not sufficient because he doesn't work in customer service department!!! So here I have three months 4 months later, still nothing but a 769 dollar balance on my credit card for a purchase that I didn't make. The worst part is, even if I decided to forcefully take a vacation that has already been paid for, I can't because it had to be booked in that first month and expires in 7 days!!!

Be aware of - do not purchase from livingsocial. This is a scam! My friend and I purchase a water rafting for Tennessee this as a deal at livingsocial and they are always booked or do not have availability on the weekends. The lady named Diane from the water rafting place is super rude and very nasty! We requested a refund and the manager is never available! Two months later and still trying to get our money back!! Do not purchase from LivingSocial!!! Stay Away!!!

I purchased the 4 hour residential cleaning in July, but wanted to wait to redeem it until close to my pregnancy due date. The deal is set to expire October 20. Sometime in September, or before, I scheduled AWO Services to come and do 4 hours of residential cleaning on October 12 at noon. Less than an hour before noon on the 12, AWO contacted me to tell me that she had a family emergency and could not come. I asked her when she would like to reschedule for and she gave me the date of Saturday, October 15 at 11 am. On October 15 at 11:15, I texted and emailed her to see if she was still coming.

I never received any response from her that day or any day after that. I contacted LivingSocial on the 17th to request a refund as the service was never performed. The voucher was marked redeemed by the merchant on October 8, despite the service never having been performed. I told customer service on the 17th that this was incorrect.

Customer service told me they would escalate the matter and, on the 18th, I received an email from LivingSocial stating that the merchant had been contacted, and had verified that the voucher was marked as redeemed in error, and that the merchant would mark it as unredeemed so that I could use it. I contacted LivingSocial again on the morning of the 18th as, based on the prior issues, I am no longer interested in doing business with a merchant that does not think my time is important enough to let me know when she will not be coming for an appointment time that she rescheduled for.

I was told by this customer service agent that no refund is available, except in deal bucks, on any deal more than 7 days after purchase which, for a deal that can be used for 90 days, is a ridiculous policy, especially when the service is never performed. At any rate, I was also told that I should contact the merchant and have them mark the voucher as unredeemed.

It is ridiculous that I should have to do so when I have had a bad experience with the merchant AND LivingSocial has been told by the merchant that the voucher was incorrectly marked as redeemed; however, I did contact the merchant, and, in the first contact since Wednesday the 12th, she told me she had marked the voucher as unredeemed.

I immediately contacted LivingSocial and was told that the voucher still had not been marked unredeemed and, in order to get the deal bucks, I would have to call back "maybe tomorrow" and see if the matter had been marked unredeemed. It is absolutely unacceptable that (1) I will have to call 4 times to get deal bucks for a deal that never occurred because the merchant I was put in contact with through LivingSocial is unreliable, especially when I the merchant has already confirmed to LivingSocial that the voucher should not have been marked as redeemed; (2) that I was told to contact a merchant with whom I have had a poor experience, as it suggests that I, as the customer, am lying about whether the service was performed; and (3) that LivingSocial will not issue me a refund to my credit card for this poor experience with a merchant they have decided to do business with and put forward as a reliable servicer.

I will be telling anyone I can about this poor experience and recommending that they not use LivingSocial or AWO Services, as my experience has been that it is my job to get the merchant to do the right thing, and LivingSocial is failing to give me a refund when one is clearly due. I just wanted this to all be in writing and, since there is no option to email about a refund that I could find, thought this might be the place to do it. Hope its policies change and become more consumer-friendly.

I am disappointed in Living Social. I had purchased a restaurant coupon on living social in 2011 that had since closed down. I was not refunded my $30. Instead was given a $5.00 voucher... Only after I voiced being unhappy with situation. At least GROUPON has the decency to refund if a place closes down no matter how long ago you purchased it!! Always keep your customer happy. Think I will stick with Groupon from now on and they have far more INTERESTING deals and reliable Customer Care.

I bought a voucher from Living Social to have my roof looked at by Prestige Home Solutions. They did not show up, so I called and they said I had to get a refund from Living Social. Living Social said since it was past 30 days since I purchased the voucher, they could not refund my money but gave me a voucher to use at a later time. Tried using it today and it has expired. Not even a year old. Why should a voucher that you paid for have an expiration date. Never again will I deal with that company.

This is the second time in about 5 years that I have attempted to take advantage of the Me + 3 Deal offered by LivingSocial. It's also the second time it hasn't worked. And the 2nd time that LivingSocial has tried to say "too bad" instead of recognizing the intent and assisting in resolving the issue. To be fair, there was user error involved both times. The first time we tried, I was actually on a food tour of DC with a friend on a LivingSocial offer. While on the tour, we met another couple and started talking about a new LivingSocial deal for the tasting experience at Rogue 24. Despite being strangers up until that point, we decided to all go in on the deal together, to take advantage of the Me + 3 Deal on a LivingSocial deal that was still $100 at discount. The other couple used my link to purchase their deal, but purchased both of their deals together, not realizing it had to be 4 separate credit cards.

I called LivingSocial immediately, was able to give them the purchaser names and purchase dates of all 4 purchases, and explained the situation. They pointed out the error, at which point I asked them if they could grant the deal anyway, or if we could transfer the funds for one of the deals to another credit card, but they refused. Their solution was to instead offer to refund us the deals altogether, and just have us not visit Rogue 24. Odd? I thought so. Instead of giving us 4 deals for the price of 3 ($300 total) under the Me + 3 Deal, they preferred to return all our money and keep $0. Lesson learned during this experience: make sure to ALWAYS use 4 credit cards to purchase the 4 deals.

Fast forward a few years, and a friend and I purchased a Skydiving Deal through LivingSocial... again an expensive deal still at $159 at discount. My friend successfully purchased his deal using my personal email link (we had discussed doing this ahead of time in case we had other friends want to join us later so we could take advantage of the Me + 3) and I got the confirmation email. We purchased our deals in February 2016. It wasn't until June 2016 that we convinced two other friends to join us, primarily because we said that we could recoup some of the costs when a 4th person purchased the deal.

When the 3rd and 4th purchased their deals, I was concerned that I did not get the same confirmation email that they had purchased deals using my link, and I called LivingSocial a few days later to ask them about it. I made a point of calling immediately because I knew we had a 7 day window to request a refund on these deals if we were not going to receive the Me + 3 deal.

When I spoke to the customer service representative, she said it can take up to 30 days to process the refund. I said that was fine, but did it also take up to 30 days to get the email confirmation that a friend had purchased their deal using my link, because I had received the first email confirmation back in February almost immediately, and here it had been 2-3 days already. She said yes, and to just wait 30 days. I expressed further concern that 30 days would put me outside my window of being able to do anything about it, and she reassured me the issue was just that it needed time to process. Not surprisingly, the email confirmations never came, and never did the $159 discount. I called back in August, and attempted to email them. And called again on September 20.

The representative, Lauren, was polite throughout our call, but was providing me incorrect information. She kept claiming that after purchasing their deals, my friends would also have to "register" and after much back and forth of me asking her what they had to register for, she said a LivingSocial account. I told her that they all had LivingSocial accounts, and had all successfully purchased their SkyDiving deals using their LivingSocial accounts as I had all of their purchase dates AND voucher numbers. So I kindly told her she was mistaken and this was not the issue.

She then proceeded to assess the situation further and provide a new response, reading a comment that was apparently entered into my account from a previous call. I told her that the comment was incorrect and nobody had informed me they were entering such a comment, and again after much back and forth, she realized she was reviewing comments related to my first Me + 3 issue back in 2012 or 2013 (she told me the comments didn't have dates on them).

I finally interrupted and told her AGAIN that I was concerned the issue was that I had provided the wrong link to my friends, a link FROM LivingSocial in my email from LivingSocial, but varying slightly from another link in another email saying this is your personal link. She then agreed that yes, that was the issue, but that it was required that that link be used. I reiterated that I understood that, but that was why I had called in June (June 7 I believe it was - I have it in my records) within 7 days of purchase so that, if we had made such an error, we could request a refund and either repurchase using the correct link, or just not have our 4th friend join us, as they could not afford the full $159 deal.

After some additional back and forth, Lauren asked me to send an email with the names, voucher numbers, purchase dates, and any other supporting documentation to their customer support email, and gave me a Case # to use as the Subject line when I submitted. I sent that email on September 20. And I still have not heard anything back by email, phone, or otherwise from LivingSocial.

I have spent over $3000 on LivingSocial deals over the past 4 years, and obviously enjoy many of the deals they offer. However, my experience with Customer Service has never been pleasant. As with other reviewers on this website who requested refunds after having trouble contacting vendors or being refused service by vendors, I have also faced a lot of pushback from LivingSocial in offering these refunds. And furthermore, when they do offer the refund finally, they always try to give me Deal Bucks instead.

If they are unable to resolve this latest Me +3 issue for me in a very timely manner, I, unfortunately, will be shutting down my LivingSocial account, and spreading the word to my friends encouraging them to do the same. Groupon, Travelzoo, and many other sites out there offer comparable deals and much better customer service. And after years working in the customer service industry myself, I appreciate and fully believe that customer service makes or breaks a business.

I purchased a voucher from Living Deals in May for a hotel break. When I rang the hotel, no dates were available. I wrote to LivingSocial for a refund and was told they needed to contact the hotel. The hotel then offered dates in an upgraded room for an extra £100. To cut a very long story short, after many emails and fruitless telephone conversations, I wrote to Living Deals to tell them my contract was with them and not the hotel, they were unable to fulfill the contract and if I did not receive a refund I would go to the small claims court. This would have cost me £25 but I was determined to do that. A refund was then given. Moral of the story - don't ever buy anything via LivingSocial but if you do/have, always remember that LivingSocial are YOUR merchant and not the company that is going to provide the product.

I purchased a voucher through LivingSocial to have my windows cleaned by 4 Seasons Window $ Blind in Boise, ID. After numerous calls which were not returned (this was over a two month period), one appointment for which he didn't show and a final phone call telling me his truck was in the shop and that's why he didn't show, but he would get back to me as soon as he had a vehicle, I called LivingSocial. I was told I was past the refund period and in fact the voucher was expired so there was nothing I could do with them. I was certainly welcome to continue trying to get the service, for which I paid, from the vendor.

I have since read several reviews of 4 Seasons and find that I am not the only one who has been cheated out of their money, either directly buying from 4 Seasons, or from buying a voucher through LivingSocial. LivingSocial should have some way of vetting the vendors they advertise, or withholding the money from them until the service has been provided. I feel I was not only cheated by 4 Seasons, but cheated by LivingSocial. I will not purchase any other vouchers from them and will recommend my friends beware. It appears this vendor has done the LivingSocial thing before and cheated customers, and LivingSocial continues to allow him to sell his services through them. I feel both LivingSocial and 4 Seasons are cheating people.

Purchased a voucher for house cleaning thru OCD Clean in Garner NC. Vendor would NOT return calls to make appt. Found vendor on Internet w/ similar name but different city. Said he had received numerous calls from LivingSocial customers. It was not his cleaning service, but thought the vendor in Garner had gone out of business. I immediately requested refund from LivingSocial. Too much time had elapsed so I could only receive Deal Bucks. Days later saw another LS deal for house cleaning services. Thought my deal bucks would be credited to purchase but they were not. No big deal but when I looked at my acct, the new vendor - Cleanpro, redeemed my voucher the VERY same day I purchased it. WTH? I didn't even have time to make an appt.

I have called LivingSocial NUMEROUS times over the past two months. I keep being told my concern has been 'escalated' and I must await their investigation. I now have @ $150 tied up w/ Living Social vouchers. No one there will call me back and apparently their house cleaning vendors are all scams. I don't want any more deal bucks. I want ALL my money back and LivingSocial should PAY ME for all the time I've wasted dealing with this crap. Buyer BEWARE. I think LivingSocial is just as crooked as the services they advertise.

Bought a home window washing deal from a local company back in June. Called to set up appointment, and when he didn't show, I called to check in. Had to leave a message. Called for three days before he answered his phone. He didn't have a reason for not showing, but rescheduled for the next week. Of course that put me past the 7 day cut off for a Living Social refund, but at the time I wasn't too worried - I actually really wanted my windows washed. Now it is three months later and he has been a no show four times and will not respond to phone calls. Said he was going through a divorce and had to cancel one to meet with his attorney. The last straw was him telling me his son was in the ER, but as I look through Yelp and our local business bureau reviews (which I should have done BEFORE I bought this deal), I see that he has used his son being in the ER as an excuse for multiple people over the last year.

I called Living Social today to try to get a refund - I do not want their Deal Bucks as I am rarely interested in anything they post. The person on the phone said no. I asked to talk to supervisor. She said no. I begged and pleaded and had a valid case that a reasonable human would have given a refund for - a guy who doesn't run a reputable business is different than me just not following through on the voucher. I asked how it's possible that the window washing company has a 97% thumbs up rating when 8 people have posted poor reviews on Yelp and 18 have posted poor reviews on the local Better Business Bureau. They said they didn't know, and there is no way for me to voice my "vote" for a poor rating as much as I have scoured their website. They didn't care that he was a no show and that he is not running a reputable company. There is just no way I will do business with Living Social again.

I purchased a voucher that included a photo service and digital photos. The service was provided but not the photos. The photos were the reason for the purchase. I called LivingSocial the first time and was on hold over an hour, and was told someone would contact me. I never received a call or email. I called a second time waiting over 30 minutes and then after being put on hold over 20 minutes was told I had to deal with the merchant direct. I explained I had tried every possible avenue to reach the merchant with no luck. They said basically, "Too bad." The worst part is they are still selling the same vouchers. Based on the other reviews I read, poor customer service is how this company operates. I wish I would have researched LivingSocial before buying anything from them. I will never do business with them again.

If you are a Groupon client then you expect a guarantee for purchased items and to be able to get a refund when you cannot use something because the promised service or item is not as described. This is not the case with LivingSocial and so a "deal" that you purchased is not refunded for any reason and you wind up with "Deal Bucks" even if you no longer want to do business with this crooked company. I have not pursued reporting them to the FTC because the amounts are small but they do add up and I am considering doing this at the present time. I really gave zero stars because there is no customer service.

I ordered a set of queen size sheets from LivingSocial. The sheets that arrived came with no labels or anything that would indicate the company or materials. They looked nothing like what I ordered and were really poor quality. They were so thin you could see through them and they had cheap, almost vinyl like stripes running down them. The FIRST time I called to return them, I waited over 40 minutes to get through. I was told that a return shipping label would be emailed to me within 24 hours.

I was also told that I would be out an additional $7.99 for return shipping even though the sheets I received were not the ones I ordered. Seems like a clever little racket they have going as the fine print says, "they are not responsible if you receive merchandise that doesn't match the description." What? What I order should always match how it's described! I never received the return label and called back for a SECOND time four days later. This time I waited 35 minutes to get through. The woman I spoke with promised me she was expediting the return and that I would receive the return label within 4 hours. She also said she would follow up with me the next day to make sure I had received it.

Another day past and I still did not have the label nor did anyone contact me. I call a THIRD time. Waited 35 minutes on the phone when it disconnected my call. Called a FOURTH time. Waited another 30 minutes and then spoke to the rudest customer service rep I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. When I asked to speak with a manager she told me there were none there. You may save a few bucks ordering from LivingSocial, however, if anything is wrong with your order you will lose any money saved in the amount of time you spend trying to resolve the issue with the company. I will NEVER do business with them again and urge anybody reading this to spread the word.

LivingSocial apparently doesn't vet its vendors effectively, based on my experience with YesBobbleheads. They charged me a "mandatory" $35 fee beyond the advertised price. Worse yet, every time I've tried to contact LivingSocial Customer Service, they have "unusually heavy call volume" and a 30-40 minute wait - no matter what day or time I call.

I purchased 2 vouchers from LivingSocial in 2014, never got there in time for the promotional value but didn't see that as an issue as the "paid value expires in 2019". I went to the restaurant I bought the vouchers for over the weekend, they wouldn't accept them stating "we couldn't deal with them anymore, it's become impossible to get paid by them." I contacted LivingSocial to inform them that the restaurant would not accept the vouchers and requested a refund for the money I spent on the vouchers that I can no longer use. After spending well over 30 mins on hold, they told me "Not our problem, take it up with the vendor." I didn't pay the vendor I paid them. If anyone is responsible to refund the $30 I spent on this voucher it's them. I've spent a lot of money with them in the past, that will remain in the past. NEVER AGAIN.

The item I ordered is not even close to what I received. The return policy states I can return it and they will charge me $7.99 return shipping this on top of the $3.99 for original shipping. What a ripoff. Advertise items ship whatever you want then force their customers to pay return shipping, sound like a way to force you to keep whatever piece of trash the send you. And try and call their customer service ya right wait time online is over 30 minutes, just to have them tell you to ship it and surrender the $11.98 in shipping fees.

The product I ordered through LivingSocial stopped working a few days after I received it. When I tried to find out how to contact the vendor or get a replacement, there was no way to contact them. Even the customer support number on their website has a recording "this number is no longer valid." So I have to throw away the product I ordered because I can't report it to LivingSocial or even contact the vendor.

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

What consumers say

Like Groupon, LivingSocial may have its problems but we don’t hear about them. Is this a good sign? Probably so, but as with anything new, you should proceed cautiously until you understand how the system works.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.
  • Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.
  • Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.
  • Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.
  • Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.
  • Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.
  • Best for Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses