LivingSocial

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a LivingSocial Deal for Howe Medical Clinic for a one month weight management program. I did see all of the horrible reviews for them, but because it was such a good deal that I thought "well it's only a month. If the reviews are true I won't go back after my month is over." Well this is what happened. My first visit they took my blood pressure and told me it was too high. This was a surprise to me because I go to my doctor regularly and they tell me it is good. The rude medical assistant then says "go sit in the lobby and wait five minutes and we can take it again." So five minutes goes by and again it is too high.

Well at that point they should have told me I was not a good candidate for their establishment and refunded my money. But instead the PA calls me into his office and takes it manually and says it is high but it is due to you being nervous and continues on and gives me the prescription for the diet pills. A week goes by I come in for my weigh in and again the rude med. asst. says my blood pressure is too high. Again waited five minutes and again too high. This time I ask "what do I do". She says "you can come in on another day" so I came in first thing the next morning and again I am told my pressure is too high.

This time I get a different PA and she tells me that since I have had two readings that are too high they cannot help me. I asked them why they accepted me in the first place and what do I need to do. She told me that they will not give me a refund but I can come in for the B12 shots. Why would I do that. I spent a lot of money for diet pills not the shot. I went to my doctor same day and was told that I do not have any history of high blood pressure. I called LivingSocial, spoke to Zeke, spend 40 minutes on the phone with him for him to tell me that LivingSocial cannot do anything about it once it is redeemed. WOW is all I can say. So stay far away from any Livingsocial deal because they do not back you up when a shady Merchant steals your money. Stay away from Howe Medical Clinic. They are very RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL and take your voucher then tell you they cannot help you.

We are new to LivingSocial. Signed up a couple days before Valentine's Day and saw a deal for the Valentines Day performance of Paramour on broadway. We were going to be in the city that afternoon for a doctor's appointment anyway, so we figured we would make a day and night of it. Bought two tickets on my wife's Amex card and printed them at home. Spent Valentines Day in the city, had dinner and enjoyed the show.

Returned home around 11:00 PM. Checked email to find a notice from American Express that our $651.00 purchase at Best Buy online at 7:30 PM on Valentines Day had been declined. Called Amex and told them we DID NOT purchase anything that day on that card, as a matter of fact, we hadn't used that card at all over the last 4 months with the exception of purchasing the Paramour tickets on Feb 13th.

Someone stole our credit card info and tried to use it at Best Buy, maybe to buy a nice new flat panel TV(?), on the night and TIME (the show started at 7:00 PM) we were watching Paramour in New York City. Coincidence? We don't know, but it sure sounds suspicious. Called Amex, reported the fraud and canceled the card.

LivingSocial will never get my money again... I purchased 3 massages on LivingSocial for a place called Day Spa Millburn last year. All 3 of my massages promotional value expired however, the paid value does not expires. I made appointment to get a massage. When I went in the lady at the front desk is going to tell me that my coupon expired and I have to pay additional $40 to get my massage because she wants me to believe that the value went up. I went back on LivingSocial website to find the exact massage for the same paid value I paid and the lady proceed to tell me she can't accept my LivingSocial voucher. When I ask the lady "If I paid for this voucher can I get my massage?" She's going to tell me that I have to reschedule for another day but if I pay them $40 now I can get my massage that day. Only because I was getting a better deal on LivingSocial with 15% off. SMDH.

When I called LivingSocial they are going to tell me they have to investigate the situation and call me back. They investigated it and never called me back but email me and said that they can't refund me back my money nor I cannot get my money in buck form. I call them back and asked to speak to the manager. The young lady said that her manager is on another call and she'll call me back. It's been a week now and I haven't heard from them.

After I put through my order and paid 99 for this Weekend Away, I came onto the next page which stated I successfully had paid for this trip and to view my voucher below which was not there. What do I do about this? I have emailed but no reply.

LivingSocial has changed hands - and their offerings are extremely limited! Due to surgery, I was unable to use my voucher for a handyman. I asked for a refund before the date of expiration. They refused to issue a credit to my credit card and instead gave a voucher. The trouble is that LivingSocial offers very few deals compared to a site like Groupon. Consequently, I'm afraid that my $56.00 will never be spent. I feel that with the change in ownership and with the downturn in their offerings (they use to be so great!), the right thing to do is to issue a credit card refund. I would never recommend LivingSocial to others. I've learned my lesson!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Under the old policy, when the "paid portion" of your LivingSocial purchase was good up until the date on which the "promotional value" expired and you could receive a full refund of your "paid portion". And AFTER the "promotional value" expired you would receive an exchange value of your "paid portion" in Deal Bucks which could be used for LivingSocial purchases.

WARNING: The NEW LivingSocial refund policy sounds the same but an actual refund is only good for 24 hours, then the application of an exchange value is only good for 7 days, and after that you do NOT get any refund, contrary to the stated "paid value never expires" advertised. Since after 7 days what you get is only a credit for services from the merchant, in the amount of the "paid portion". Since you want to cancel the deal with the merchant, what good does a credit toward service with the merchant do? It is a very deceptive refund policy. Unless you are absolutely sure you will be happy with the merchant services, do NOT count on any performance guarantee or refund from LivingSocial under their new policies. The many complaints already documented on this ConsumerAffairs site, confirm that. The photo shows receipt on the last day of the old refund policy, which changed after Nov. 21, 2016.

I placed an order on 12/16/2016. I received a shipping notice on 12/20/16 with a tracking number for each of the 2 items I ordered. I checked the tracking number a few times and noticed there was no update on the items. I finally called the DHL and they informed me they never received the items to ship. The only way to contact LivingSocial is to call the customer service number. After waiting for someone to answer, I finally got through and had to repeat myself numerous times as the person was not able to understand me. I explained the issue and his initial response was for me to call DHL about my items. I told him that I had already called and they had not received the items to deliver to me. After waiting for over 20 minutes for him to check on my inquiry, he told me that someone would contact me within 2 days.

I was not convinced, but after 40 minutes total, I had to get off the phone. Within 2 days I received a return label for the items I never received. I tried to respond to the email and of course I got a bounce back. I called once again and explained my situation yet again, and was told I would be contacted within 2 days. I have never been contacted since. I have tried Facebook, apparently they do not accept posts on Facebook, and Twitter was non-responsive. Contacting customer service again will be useless as they do not understand and attempting to talk to a manager is also impossible. How can a company thrive with customer service such as this. I have had to do more than they have and still have gotten nowhere!

I bought a voucher for $99 for tile cleaning and sealing. I booked my appointment and the company came to my home. However, I was told (and I later confirmed with a contractor) that my grout is unstable (was not set properly), so he could not clean the grout without possibly damaging my tile floors. I was told by him that I could get a full refund by LivingSocial Austin.

I did not want to get a credit with LivingSocial, as this was a service I wanted and I could not use it. I called a representative at the company to talk about what to do. I told him the circumstances and he said no problem, they would just contact the business owner to verify that they could not do the service and they would post the $99 back to my PayPal account.

Two weeks went by with no notification that the refund was sent back to PayPal. So I called again, only to be told that they cannot give me a refund - as they only refund within a 7-day period. I repeated to her what the circumstances were and that I didn't see how they could keep the money in their own credit, when I was not able to get the service I paid for through no fault of my own.

The representative basically that I could "Just buy something else on LivingSocial as they have lots of options to choose." I said I already have a couple of credits of things I did cancel myself that I have never used. I am not a shopper and spender and I want the money returned to PayPal. She continued to tell me the same thing and would not allow me to speak to someone in charge above her. She said that is their rule and they are sticking to it, no exceptions, even though I was told just the opposite two weeks before by another representative of their company, and also the company that came to my house that was unable to do the service I bought and paid for.

I was trying to purchase a piece of monogrammed jewelry and wasn't sure order was going through. They don't send verifications and keep your credit card info. On file. Anyway without my realizing it LS charged me 4 times for one item. When I got my bill and notified them they said that it had been longer than 7 days and would not refund my money but gave me Deal Bucks. Beware of buying from them and Beware of letting them have access to your credit card. The whole process appears to be somewhat crooked. They say I can't use the deal bucks online without first them access to my credit card?

I purchased a Serenity bracelet on Living Social on Nov. 28. I received a voucher to order it on the Novadab website. I ordered it and received confirmation of my order. I was sent an entirely different product and it was severely damaged. I requested a refund from Living Social and was told to contact Novadab who has no phone number. Living Social customer service said they do not guarantee the items from Novadab even though they have the guarantee symbol next to the product. I emailed Novadab and after more than one month, still no response.

I paid for a service with Living Social and the provider was not there after driving 35 minutes to the appointment (total time 3 hours out of my day). I contacted Living Social 3 X (after 35 - 45 minute hold time!) and was met with arrogance and no regard for giving me credit on my credit card. The supervisor was nasty and basically said she did not care and would not return a credit on the credit card. I said it was between Living Social and the provider. The provider was not there and did not honor the agreement and I should not be penalized. The supervisor showed no concern and was abrupt and arrogant. I will never do business with Living Social. Have had a very different experience with Groupon. Buyer beware - Living Social has shown me in no uncertain terms that they really do not care about the customer. It is all about making money even if the terms are not upheld. Extremely disappointed and will never do business with them again.

Living Social use to have an amazing customer service, but now is one of the worst! I bought a voucher for $15.00 but you get $30.00 for a fruit basket. I went to the site purchased a basket but at check out they charge a surcharge of $14.99! So the $15.00 you think you are getting free you are actually paying at the check out SCAM!!! I called Living Social to get a refund but was hung up on four times as they kept saying they couldn't hear me. The fifth person I spoke with was rude and stated they were busy so I needed to talk fast! Seriously!! I hung up the phone, requested my refund online, deleted my phone app, and I will NEVER use Living Social again! Good job at destroying your company!

I recently started using Living Social (Groupons) to order items because of the Holidays. I purchased a Queen size hypoallergenic, waterproof mattress pad mid November (2016). When I received the package approximately two weeks later, it was the wrong size. While Living Social roots that refund is easy, it is NOT!! You cannot request a refund via their website unless you have a voucher otherwise you must call customer service. I waited 32 minutes before I spoke to a customer service representative who informed me that the only option was to re-purchase the mattress pad and return the incorrect size using a label she generated (I wouldn't classify this process as easy - cumbersome, yes!). She PROMISED to send the return label by the end of the business day - for the record, she did not!

At the end of November, I re-ordered the SAME mattress pad and when it arrived I crossed my fingers - It was the right size; BUT IT WAS NOT WATERPROOF!! This time around it took 52 minutes to get to the customer service rep (Trina) who promptly apologized for the error but only told me that I would have to re-order again. Why would I? It's now December 19th and my company from out-of-town will be here in 2 days with their small non-potty-trained kids on my new mattress. Shame on Living Social for (1) having a cumbersome return process, (2) having poor quality service and (3) for not empowering your CS Reps to make decisions to promptly remedy the situation. They are certainly no Amazon!! Dissatisfied in Albany, NY

They do not use quality merchants, they do not stand by their customers. They trap you into Deal Bucks instead of giving you an actual refund. I ended up with a huge credit, so I started ordering stuff just to burn it up before they take that away too. So far the services that I received have been good (chimney cleaning and power washing), however, merchandise never gets shipped and then I end up with even more credit. I am very frustrated because I am an online shopper and find this website to have the worst customer service ever. Their refund policy is a load of crap too. How dare they hold my money hostage. I have bills to pay and do not need to waste it on stuff I don't even need. Wise up people, you will not have my business in the future. It is just a matter of using up that credit then "see ya!"

I did not realize I was placing an order so the minute it hit, I requested a refund. Living Social applied my refund to Deal Bucks of $89.99 which I did NOT want. So in an attempt to give them the benefit of the doubt, I just made another purchase thinking it would use the Deal Bucks but instead it charged my card AGAIN rather than drawing from the credits I had in my Deal Bucks account. They do not have any way to email them, nor do they offer a call in number. It is truly robbery. Please help.

Bought 5 deals for custom wood cutting boards, went to use them to order Christmas gifts and even paid additional for shipping and the merchant company has been completely non-responsive for over a month! Order has yet to ship and they have yet to reply to 1 of my 4 emails sent (and they don't have a phone valid number). So I thought I better call Living Social to help them protect themselves against companies like this treating their customers poorly and negatively the relationship/confidence customers may have now in using Living Social. Living Social seemed to think it was no big deal, they were not concerned that I was unable to use the vouchers I purchased and were unwilling to give me a refund!! I was shocked!

I will never feel comfortable using Living Social again and will make sure everyone I know steers clear of them! Shocking that Living Social lets their merchants treat the traffic they send them like this and that they are okay promoting bogus companies!! (I did some research and found out there are a ton of complaints about this merchant - theplaidbarn.com - not following through with orders placed and being completely non-responsive - they probably don't even exist.)

There is no customer service. Called phone number many times, never able to get through. Wait time is close to an hour, but then, I'm not sure, because I've never gotten through. I have refunds in their money. I see nothing I want from them now. When I attempt to purchase something, they won't accept my credit money, but only will accept with my credit card. I'm done with them, other than using my credit money. They send me constant emails of the same thing daily. I want my $50 back, but am unable to get it back.

I bought a voucher from LivingSocial for comprehensive carpet cleaning in the Charlotte, NC area to "clean 3 rooms and a hallway for $29." The carpet company called me the morning that I had an appointment and said they would be at my house in an hour or so. When they hadn't shown up an hour after they were supposed to I called Eric back using the number on my caller ID. I left a message on his voicemail twice and still haven't heard from him. I called directly to the company and James said he would call Eric, and call me back. I'm still waiting on that phone call.

I called LS to tell them the company never showed up and I wanted my $29 refunded so I could use it towards getting a reputable company to clean my carpet. Of course they refused to send my money back and they don't seem to be concerned that they have a company who is advertising with them that is obviously a fraud, and they're still advertising. After reading the other LS complaints there has got to be something we can do as consumers to stop this fraud from LS and from the companies that are advertising, getting paid, and not delivering the goods. Any suggestions from anyone? In the meantime, DO NOT purchase anything through LivingSocial!

On 9/20/16 I purchased a voucher for the online version of the New York Defensive Driving Course. It's supposed to be good until 9/20/2021, with the promotional values expiring on 12/19/16. Today is 12/11/16. I tried to access my voucher today to sit down and take the course. When I went to "My Vouchers" it wasn't there. I explored my purchase history and found my voucher was marked "used". Poof! Just like that I am out $51.00.

So I thought I would contact Living Social to sort this out. I went looking for a "Contact Us" link. No such link exists. They have set up a labyrinth of pre-set questions that does not allow you to deviate from the ones they want to answer. It is impossible to get my particular issue addressed. I finally did find a telephone number, which is active M-F 9 AM - 8 PM. Today is Sunday, so of course there is no one to talk to. I've been a Living Social customer for a long time, but this experience has soured me completely. They will get no more money from me. And I'm going to tell my story on as many review boards as I can find.

I recently went to use 2 LivingSocial coupons. They were expired, but as the coupon says, the paid value never expires. The 2 businesses in question are gone. I called LivingSocial asking for some relief as I do occasionally use my vouchers after expiration and have never had this issue. I figured they would offer me some deal bucks or credit to use on another voucher. They trotted out their policies and said "too bad, you are out of your money." I was surprised because I am a good customer and when this happened with a Groupon, they immediately refunded the money I paid. Also, it says "Paid Value DOES NOT EXPIRE". Very deceptive. I will never purchase another LivingSocial voucher. Their policies basically say BUYER BEWARE and they don't look out for their clients. Groupon is much easier to deal with in regards to this policy.

I've come to the conclusion that I no longer wish to do business with Living Social. Their practices are questionable, and their customer support team does little to rectify any grievances. I purchased a $70 voucher for a vendor who - after several attempts at contact - had gone out of business. LS issued me a credit to be used for a future purchase. (Yay!)

I used the $70 credit towards a $250 purchase with a different vendor. Despite several attempts to schedule an event (this particular vendor wanted 3-4 weeks' lead time) - the vendor could not accommodate an agreeable date before the voucher expired. When I contacted said vendor, they told me that I would need to 'work it out' with LS. When I called LS the first time, they created an issue # and asked me to email them the details. I did so but did not hear back. When I called LS a month later, they informed me that I would need to settle the matter with the vendor, never acknowledging that we had spoken the month prior. By this time, not only had my $70 credit 'expired', but the $250 I paid for a new voucher can no longer be used. Long story short: I'm out $320... and out of patience. With Groupon, at least you are entitled to the purchase value.

I used groupon a lot and their customer service is outstanding. LivingSocial however is awful. I have an expired voucher which I should be able to redeem for the amount paid, however LS is saying that once the voucher is expired your on your own they will not help you contact the merchant and they will not contact the merchant in your behalf.

I purchased a voucher from Living Social for a deep cleaning for my apartment. When I called to schedule the appointment, I was told I had to wait two weeks to schedule. While I was not thrilled about having to wait that long to redeem something I already paid for, I agreed and scheduled the cleaning. My cleaning was scheduled for Tues the 15th.

Monday the 14th I had not heard from the company since I called to schedule. Therefore, I called the company to confirm. I was told I the computer was down to call back later. I did, but no one answered. I left a voicemail, but my call was not returned. I called again the morning of my appointment. The guy said he would call me back. Of course, he didn't so I called again. They gave me the runaround and eventually stopped answering my calls. I got through to him one last time, and he stated he could not reach the cleaning people so I needed to reschedule. I refused because the experience was already shady in my opinion. I told the guy I was going to contact Living Social for a refund.

I called Living Social and was told my voucher had already been redeemed by the company, but they would send it to the escalation department to get me a refund. I was told they would contact me via email. I waited a week to hear from them. They never contacted me. I called back, and they told me the merchant services said they called the Saturday prior to my appointment (Monday the 14th), and I didn't return the call. They did not even have the right date or time for my appointment, and I never received a phone call or voicemail from anyone. I had to call them. Living Social said since they were getting the story from the merchant Sevices they could not help me. The vendors could be doing this to who knows how many people.

They refused to give me a refund or credit. They didn't even offer for me to have the people come out and actually perform the service I paid for. I was told there wasn't anything they could do. This company is an absolute joke. Do not buy anything from them. I wish I would've researched them more prior to purchasing from them.

I have been a customer of LivingSocial for a number of years and am deeply disappointed with the treatment just received by the customer service representative. I purchased the Online Life Coaching voucher towards an online program. I was not aware there was a limited time in which the voucher could be used. As I just recently moved and changed careers, I did not yet use the voucher and had just realized it expired. I did not think there would be any issue as LivingSocial is still advertising this deal and it has the Good deal guarantee in which you can exchange an unredeemed, unscheduled Voucher for the paid value. I thought I would be protected by this as LivingSocial has earned $203 without providing any services whatsoever.

Buyer beware!!! I purchased a LivingSocial voucher to a local restaurant. My husband and I went to have dinner there last night and the location is closed. LivingSocial refuses to give me my money back... other than a credit on their site. I don't even understand how this is legal? Seems that any unused, unexpired vouchers should be refunded if a location closes? Will NEVER purchase from them again and will tell others to do the same.

I have been a really good customer for years. Recently I went to redeem my voucher at Bamboo Beach Club & Tiki Bar. I called Livingsocial because the voucher was expired and they told me that the merchant will accept the voucher for the amount I paid. LivingSocial rep assured me that. So, I went to the place and they told me actually to leave the promises that they do not honor. Nothing at all. Upset, I called LivingSocial, and I mentioned about the policy of taken the paid value and she said "yes" they will... So, I told her "Well, NOOO, they are not taking it." So she (LivingSocial rep) called the merchant right away and they told her the same thing. Livingsocial rep told me that she would escalate this to her superior and they will contact me back. Well, again another lie, NO ONE IS CONTACTING ME BACK.

So this means that I lost my money? YES. EVEN IF THEY TELL ME TO GO BACK, I'm not planning to go back to that place. They treated me as a no welcome person when purchasing vouchers is to enjoy and have a good time. I will not go there and risk to have a bad experience AGAIN. It is sad to think that LIVINGSOCIAL IS NOT backing up THEIR promises like have the merchant honor an expired voucher, and the "GOOD DEAL GUARANTEE" is also for an advertisement purpose ONLY... All I'm asking is for deal bucks... you know my information. Please contact me in reference to this issue.

I purchased 2 orders from 2 different companies on the same day. 1 was a puffer jacket I was hoping to have delivered in time for my son's birthday, the other was a six-pocket sofa armrest organiser over 3 weeks ago and I live in Ireland and these companies are suppose to be based in England. I would have thought 5/7 days max for my order to arrive but after 7 emails to LivingSocial and feeling so frustrated at being ripped of by these cockroaches still no sign of my orders. Please consumers be aware and think carefully when ordering from this site. I will add to this review in the coming weeks.

I ordered a tablet for my son. It's been 6 weeks and still no tablet even though I got an email confirming it was dispatched. I've rang every week and their customer service is no help. I'm demanding my money back tomorrow when I ring for the sixth week in a row. Don't buy from this sham of a company. I never will again.

I have spent way too much money with LivingSocial and for that expect a level of customer service that is fair. I was pulled around with by of their merchants, waiting for an available appt only to find myself still waiting now months later. I called LivingSocial to reconcile. Due to the voucher being recently expired they said they literally could not do anything for me. I understand a refund cannot be processed but how about deal bucks back, credit? Denied, "sorry we can't do anything" I was told. I told the supervisor that someone has issued deal bucks to me before simply for an inconvenience with the merchant and he stutters "oh oh ya I can do that here's $10". Well I'm asking for $30 since this is what I lost in my original purchase. He says "well I can't do that." "But... you just said that and then turned around and gave me ten... do it two more times, easy." He says "your voucher expired (3 weeks ago), I can't do anything."

So I ask for the next supervisor and am told there's no way to get a hold of her, Jamie ** is her name, because she doesn't have an extension. I press the issue. Well now she's on break. Ok I'll leave a message for her, "well she wouldn't speak to you anyway". Excuse me? So I am being denied a chance to speak with someone about a merchant issue that's now also a customer service issue. He kept circling around in lies, can we just squash the issue and make this right for crying out loud?! I feel scammed by both companies involved. This guy actually told me if I was distrusting of the merchant and called I could have gotten my money back - so I'm supposed to not believe your business partners will follow through with their end of the deal? That's all hypocrisy. Forget LivingSocial. I feel stupid for wasting hundreds, thousands, on this site that really doesn't look out for their customers.

I ordered a 14K gold necklace on October 5th 2016. I received the necklace approximately a week and a half later. I wore it once. No problems. I tried to wear it a second time yesterday. When I tried to adjust the clasp around to the back the necklace broke in the center. I immediately called LivingSocial and did not ask for a refund but simply a replacement. No way, they can help me. After all, it has been 14 days. So, I guess it needed to break in the first 14 days or you are out of luck. What a ripoff. I am extremely disappointed in LivingSocial. I have been a loyal customer since 2012 and have spent thousands of dollars with this company. I am not sure what happened, but they have lost my business for good. :(

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

What consumers say

Like Groupon, LivingSocial may have its problems but we don’t hear about them. Is this a good sign? Probably so, but as with anything new, you should proceed cautiously until you understand how the system works.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.
  • Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.
  • Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.
  • Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.
  • Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.
  • Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.
  • Best for Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses