1.01/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

214 LivingSocial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I bought a service agreement for my A/C. I found out that the company didn't service where I live. Therefore, I asked for a refund from LivingSocial and as I was chatting with Carlos **. He closed the chat on me. But before he did he stated I could not get a refund because of the fine print in the agreement. When I put my zip code in if I was outside the service area, they should've reject my payment. I think this might be a scam.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I purchased a voucher on October 18th for Bliss Spa in Scottsdale. It has never arrived. The email to the contact address on my PayPal receipt bounced as not found. The phone number per PayPal receipt is a recording for Groupon. I opened a case on-line through the LivingSocial web-site and received the following illiterate response, less than 24 hrs later: "Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience but since we're not getting any response from you within 24 hour we might need to solve this ticket. If you have question please feel free to send us an email or try to contact our chat support or contact us via phone."

I called the telephone number provided and was connected to a female with such a heavy accent that I could barely understand her. She kept telling me to send in my credit card statement showing the charge. I kept explaining I would forward my PayPal confirmation as I paid via PayPal. The email address she requested I send it to: info@livingsocial.com bounced as not found - surprise. She continually told me that she was escalating my case and it could take 48-72 business hours. No. There was no supervisor or EFL person to speak to. I now have a claim into PayPal, meanwhile had to cancel my spa appointments and I see from previous posts that LivingSocial has declined into some questionable business practices. Shame, because at one time they were legit and I used them a lot. A nice alternative to Groupon - not all deals are the exactly same. But no more. LivingSocial has become a frustrating joke and obvious rip-off.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

LivingSocial ran a deal for a Costco membership in which the purchaser would receive a $20 Costco gift card AND $35 in coupons redeemable for Costco products. I have not received ANY of the promised coupons nor did I receive the promised gift card. Customer service at LivingSocial is TERRIBLE!!! The phone center is the noisiest environment I've ever encountered on the phone... I could barely hear the rep over the background noise which sounded like an aircraft hangar and had to shout for 30 minutes in which I was transferred 3 times, put on extended hold for 10 minutes at a time twice and hung up on once - still with no resolution!!! Needless to say I also had to repeat my identifying information every time since each time I was transferred it was to begin the process all over again from square one. I will NEVER deal with LivingSocial again!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Had an error on order I placed with Living Social. Tried to explain on Live Chat. Cut off before I finished with issue. E-mailed again. Customer service person, David ** apparently did not even read what I had written, because he said I could not get a refund, which I had neither requested nor wanted. What I wanted was what I had paid for, a voucher for three products. I had only received 2 with which I was very satisfied and said so. I wanted the third and had set it up on the 3rd party website and created an account so I could just order when the matter was settled. Did not want to pay the additional shipping charge either.

Tried again to contact, answered dissatisfied twice on follow-up and still never heard another word. Tried again to contact with a phone # I found on the internet and was referred to Groupon. And the saga continued. My 1st request for a call back was answered immediately - unfortunately as soon as I mentioned Living Social my call needed to be transferred, I held for 9 minutes before I was cut off. Called again - same # calling back - no one there. This poor excuse for customer service is INEXCUSABLE!!! I know its a small amount, but no customer should be treated so shabbily. Please read this in its entirety - Difficult to understand I know, but the message I really want to convey is if you are trying to sell something you had better do everything in your power to make sure your customer is satisfied. We all have access to Social Media too.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought an item and said it was final sale unless there was a defect in the item. I received it on Saturday, opened up Sunday and found it was defective. I emailed them four times they refused to get back to me so I called my credit card and I’m disputing the claim. When I looked under if things aren’t affected they had a new message stating that if I bought it from the company’s website I’ll get a refund but from their website I won’t. That’s false advertising so that’s why I am disputing it and I have protection on my credit card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a book, before I went on a trip so, when I got home I could put pictures in the book. I went on Shutterfly, no luck, Groupon/LivingSocial, no luck and the first time I finally get to state my feelings, I get turned down. Now to see if this complaint goes anywhere.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I recently purchased a LivingSocial coupon for a full synthetic oil change. Paid $56.00. Went to Jiffy Lube for my oil change only to find out my voucher did not include tax, so I still owed tax. It also didn't cover 4 wheel drive on my car. I went back to re-read the fine print and nowhere on there does it list that it doesn't include the sales tax. I used it and paid the difference but then emailed Living Social today to let them know that they really should include that in the ''fine print''. I got a response back from customer service apologizing for not being able to use my voucher, which I did use it and that it was trade-able... That was not at all what I wrote in to them about. They obviously didn't even read my complaint and suggestion. I think that it is misleading to not have that information included in the fine print.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Bad customer care. After years of buying Living Social vouchers, I've had enough and am done with them. They say you have three days to cancel a purchase, however, they don't make it easy. If it's refundable in three days, then make it clear with a refund button, an email, or phone number that someone can actually get through on.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Very much like many of the reviews I have just read, Living Social has stolen my money. I have 3 different vouchers to 2 places that are no longer in business. Living Social refuses to credit back to me any money, I wasn't even asking for a refund. They just keep stating they cannot refund my money... even though that's not was I'm asking for. To them refund and credit are basically the same thing and they just won't do it. I'm out almost $100 and will never ever buy from Living Social again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

As a customer of LivingSocial, I called customer service to inform them the restaurant vouchers I bought didn't work, the restaurants did not honor them and some were out of business. LivingSocial direct customer service number at 202 400-2100 operate in another remote foreign location, in a location so loud you can't understand them. Their email at help@livingsocial.com isn't any better, they are clueless and offer no help at all. So go ahead and throw your money away, I did with this company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I purchased 5 vouchers for my son's bachelor party for tubing in Harper's Ferry. When I tried to book appointments, I was told the date I chose was a black-out date because it was a holiday weekend. I immediately called customer service and asked for a refund, but because it had been 4 days, not 3, they refused to do so. I tried again today on day 5, with similar results. Yet the message on the phone is that the company wants customers to have an exceptional experience. That message is inaccurate. It should be removed.

The first representative I spoke to said he would give me LivingSocial credit (which I do not want, but thought it was better than nothing), but he failed to do so. Hence, my call on day 5. The customer reps like to lecture customers about reading the policies. I'd like to lecture them on good customer service. Three days is insufficient time for refunds, as most people are working and have other responsibilities. Do not buy anything from LivingSocial. You have been warned.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

There is no way to find a number to them... You can at best request a call but only during few hours during the day. Then they call you, can't help you on the phone and say they will follow up with you on the email... only to get a generic copy paste reply in email... No help. Terrible customer support.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I purchased 2 vouchers from Living Social and had a terrible experience with both. First was for an oven clean which cost £29 from Living Social then an additional £35 directly to the company. The company canceled the clean then stated it would probably never happen so they would refund me - this was 5 weeks ago and I now cannot get through to the company and Living Socials response is 'It's not our problem'.

I still haven't received a refund and I am now trying to dispute this through my bank. Before I knew how bad this experience would be I ordered a mattress that, when it arrived, was nothing like the description and again I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get the mattress collected and a refund but again Living Social didn't care. I believe they should accept responsibility for the companies they advertise. After my last conversation with a very surly customer service adviser I will never use this company again and I recommend no one else does.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I had a very negative experience when contacting customer service. Every time they emailed me back, they would cut and paste a response from their website. In my final email, I asked them to please respond to my question instead of giving me information I could have read from their website. While I was browsing their website, I purchased a deal by mistake for $20. When I contacted them after realizing that I had purchased the deal, I explained the situation and told them it was a mistake and I did not need the service nor live in the area. Keep in mind that they offer refunds for 3 days; when I found out it was on day 5.

I have a business and have used sites like this before, but never Living Social. I realize they pay the company a portion, but I find it hard to believe that they would have already paid the company the $10 in 5 days. I was surprised to see that so many other people have had complaints in dealing with this company. I would think for such a low amount of money they would be concerned with wanting to keep a customer instead of keeping the $10 they get from their half of the deal. I am left with a negative impression of this company and their policies, and would encourage others to be very careful. There are too many other websites such as this to purchase deals from; Groupon has most of the same ones anyways.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I purchased a massage voucher via LivingSocial as a gift in April. Since May the person has been trying to contact the place to schedule the massage. The only phone number listed on the site is a cell number that you cannot leave messages on because it is full. The online scheduling only says "not available" all the way through October (which was as far as I tried). I called living social for a refund or credit to my account. They are unable to help me since the voucher expired 5 days ago. The tech and supervisor kept repeating their rehearsed dialog that there was nothing they could do for me. This is terrible customer service. They should check out the providers they are willing to post to their site. Now I am out $60 and owe the person another gift. I will NEVER use living social again!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I paid for a gift (to myself) for a photo blanket. No big deal but I did want it. I tried to redeem the certificate emailed to me on several occasions but the "url" would not work. I wrote to the company, they asked for proof of my purchase. I sent them the confirmation, as well as my credit card statement. I next received an email saying my purchase was going to expire soon and I must redeem. Once again, the "url" did not work. I again wrote to the company. I also attached the latest email to my first complaint. Have not heard back. A scam for sure. Be warned.

Original review: June 25, 2017

First off all, why would such a "reputable" company such as LivingSocial have a private number for customer service ** registered to Dr. Sacha **? Anyway, I have a voucher from Trojan promotions for $25 off any LivingSocial purchase expiring July 31st 2017. LivingSocial won’t accept the code, and their joke of a customer service department can’t help me but instead offer 15% off. I’m afraid with the merger of Groupon and LivingSocial, we’ll end up with a conglomerate of liars and fraudsters. I’m now afraid of buying anything not only from LivingSocial, but Groupon.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I purchased 2 coupons from LivingSocial which were supposed to be valid at Staples for shredding services, after 19 days of fighting with LivingSocial customer service and tech support, and Staples store and corporate staff, after 4 visits to the local Staples store, 2 phone calls to Staples corporate, countless hours on hold and on the phone with LivingSocial customer service and many false promises from LivingSocial customer service and tech support, they have finally worn me down, I just give up. Staples will not honor the coupons and I even had the store manager call their corporate office with me standing there, that still failed.

I am very frustrated and angry about how LivingSocial can sell something that is clearly a scam then they lead you on promising to make it work maybe hoping that you will give up or that the value of the coupon will expire. The support staff in LivingSocial is in the Philippines and they NEVER let you talk to a supervisor, if you ask for a supervisor they give you many excuses hoping to wear you down then they put you on a 28 minute hold and then they eventually just hang up on you. DO NOT BUY from this company!!! Here is the proof LivingSocial Ticket # ** so anyone can verify my ordeal. Vouchers number 1: **voucher # 2: **.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I purchased a carpet cleaning from Mr. Extreme Clean. Shortly after the purchase I contacted Mr. Extreme Clean to set up the appointment. The guy that answered the phone had no business etiquette and I was a little apprehensive but I set up an appointment anyway to have my carpets cleaned. He gave me a window between 900 am and 11:00 am. Well Mr. Extreme Clean never showed or called to reschedule. My husband and I both took time off from work for this service. I was so frustrated. I immediately contacted LS for a refund. They said it would be processed but I could only get a credit/voucher since it was beyond the seven day window. I didn't like it but I read their refund policy and had to deal with that. I figured once I got the credit and used it on something else, I would close out my account with LS and be done with them.

Well, about two days later I received an email telling me my coupon had been redeemed. What? I contact LS again and was told to tell them that the coupon had not been redeemed and I wanted a refund of my purchase and I was told that this was their process to show the coupon was redeemed when the refund is being processed. It sounded ridiculous and suspicious to me and I think the whole thing is a scam. I am still waiting for my refund. LS obviously does not screen their businesses so I will never do business with them again.

Buyer Beware. Keep your money in your pocked and don't trust LS. Also LS is supposedly based in Washington so why does their automated message about customer service times say Central Standard Time. Last I checked Washington DC is in the East Coast. Scam Scam Scam. Don't trust them. They don't care about customer service, they only want your money and will not give you a refund. I am thinking about taking them to court just for the principle.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I purchased a voucher for a wine and paint class in my area. Immediately after the purchase, I went on the wine and paint website to book the class, there were none scheduled in my area. I went back to the LivingSocial website and clicked on refund. I expected the money to be refunded through PayPal back to my bank account and today I see I am given credit on the LivingSocial website. I'm glad it was only $42 and not a trip I was planning to book. No credibility here, I wouldn't advise use this website to purchase anything.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Three days ago I got an email saying my credit card’s not working for a steak dinner which I never ordered. I called LivingSocial to tell them and I was told they will credit my account. I mentioned that I never asked for this and I said oh doesn't matter will just credit your account and they did tell me that there is a system flaw. Today two days later I got another email from LivingSocial that my credit card was not working for the same unrequested dinner. I asked for a manager from their Philippine staff and was hung up on.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I hired steam cleaner who never showed up; received "deal bucks" instead of reimbursement. Used these "deal bucks" and additional funds to hire window cleaner. Window cleaner tells me he does not serve my area. Again, I am offered "deal bucks". I call their customer service and request to get money back instead of deal buck. Get disconnected and don't receive a call back as promised. Call again and when I state my request, get disconnected right away. How can a company just take my money and keep it at their pleasure without providing the promised service?

Original review: May 26, 2017

We purchased a deal last year and failed to use it before the promotional period. I tried calling for a refund on the paid value (which expires 4/2/2021 based on the "fine print") and the business had gone out of business. A subsequent call to LivingSocial with my problem was incredibly frustrating. They kept pointing me to a website that didn't exist and repeating "fine print" that was different than my voucher. From my perspective my financial transaction was with LivingSocial and they failed to meet their contractual agreement. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Cosmetic & Vascular Suite NYC. Three at $425 - NEVER NEVER buy one of their "Deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again. THEIR POLICY IS TO NEVER REFUND YOU AFTER YOUR PURCHASE EXPIRES OR TO GIVE YOU THE VALUE YOU PAID. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a cosmetic procedure as a gift. My boyfriend is a police officer in the general division and works long hours and the night shift. It is difficult to get an appointment when you live in NJ and you work all crazy hours.

The remedy the doctor came up with was to use his knee machine and charge me the difference from what I paid to what his new machine cost. To me this is bait and switch. Fine, but I still want my original $425 I paid. My paid value clearly states it expires in 2023. I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: Don't waste your money with LivingSocial. So now I am out of $425. I recommend not going to the doctor as he should honor the voucher and don't buy from LivingSocial. GO TO GROUPON. THEY ARE FAIR!!!

Original review: May 16, 2017

With the LivingSocial app I purchased a voucher for district entertainment recording studio for the engineering component in actuality approaches to which they did under the recording single but they have not honored the engineering. I contacted LivingSocial. They said that the voucher is good for five years. The voucher was originally purchased on May 2nd 2013. But upon reviewing the voucher information it says it is expired and the voucher has still not been honored. I did request a refund shortly after purchasing the voucher when I realized that the recording studio was not responding effectively. LivingSocial said that the voucher was good for five years.

Original review: May 15, 2017

LivingSocial still sells a "Drunk History Tour" in the Seattle area despite the fact that this tour no longer exists. There was no way for me to request a refund from my account and LivingSocial prefers to not list any contact information anywhere to complain about such things. With no way to redeem the cost, the voucher expired. I will never purchase from them again. They should be reported as a scam company. They also sent me a promotional email with no way to unsubscribe from it, so I blocked them immediately.

Original review: April 22, 2017

My recommendation is to never buy one of their "deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again and their policy is such that they probably won't even refund you. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a restaurant I wanted to try. Restaurant is difficult to get a reservation at; promotional value expires. Fine, but I still want my original $20 I paid. Except now this restaurant is out of business. So I cannot go there, and even though my paid value clearly states it expires in 2019 I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: don't waste your money with LivingSocial.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I had a company go out of business and the paid promotional says it does not expire until 2019. When I called they said there was nothing they could do and the money is just lost. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. I have over $100 in vouchers that say the value never expires and I no longer trust this company.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I attempted to get a refund on a service I was unable to use from LivingSocial. The coupon was not showing in my list of refundable coupons so I called where I spoke with someone I could barely understand because of her heavy accent. I requested a refund, but it was explained to me that she was powerless to provide the refund after asking about my attempt to redeem the coupon. There was nothing that could be done. I found the customer service representative was rude and most unhelpful. I will never use this web service again in the future. Their failure has led me to leave this review.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have a couple of expired vouchers I tried to use, but when I went to the restaurant, they said management has changed, so the voucher will not be honored (even though the vouchers clearly state that paid value does not expire). They recommended I call LivingSocial to ask for help with this issue and when I did that, LivingSocial told me once a voucher is expired, it's between me and the restaurant. They can't do anything apparently! I will never buy a LivingSocial voucher again! This is terrible customer service and there is no accountability with the restaurants.

LivingSocial expert review by Erin Huffstetler

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

What consumers say

Like Groupon, LivingSocial may have its problems but we don’t hear about them. Is this a good sign? Probably so, but as with anything new, you should proceed cautiously until you understand how the system works.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.

• Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.

• Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.

• Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.

• Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.

• Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.

• Best for: Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

LivingSocial Company Information