1.01/5

260 LivingSocial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased AKC dog crates. One box of 5 crates arrived smashed and the plastic crates damaged on one side. The day I received delivery I immediately went on the LivingSocial website and requested a refund (I took photos of damage). I printed off the return label, stuck it on the original box, re-taped the box, took it down to the USPS as directed, received a receipt from the USPS, went home and noted my account showed nothing yet. I checked my account a week later it still didn’t show anything. I checked my account which would have been two weeks later and it showed the return process was noted And the item was not eligible for return because the refund process was implemented.

A total of one month after the item was delivered broken I found customer service phone number after attempting for hours online customer support... Approximately five hours later on the phone with customer service and two different agents and a supervisor after they told me numerous times they couldn’t help me, it wasn’t in their system, they haven’t received my item etc. etc. etc., it was all my fault, it’s et-Cetera... After giving them tracking numbers from their shipping label and the return receipt from the USPS a supervisor after almost 2 hours finally gave me a refund!!! I wouldn’t wish my worst enemy on this company!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Don’t buy items on LivingSocial!! They don’t honor what they sell... Don’t communicate with merchants who won’t honor vouchers... Horrible customer service. LivingSocial doesn’t communicate with customers to ask how customer wants issue resolved. LivingSocial is absolutely terrible and is not customer service oriented. I have been a very loyal customer and I will not be back!!!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

LivingSocial has the worst customer service. They are rude and do not care about their reputation. Their online chat is not any better. When they feel they have meet your needs they will hang up on you or end the conversation regardless if you are satisfied or not or if you understood. I will never use their services again.

Many of the people that advertise with them are not upfront nor are they reputable. LivingSocial will not support you if there is a problem. I know they also own Groupon now so be careful! I am closing down my account with them. I have never experienced such a company. I really do not know how they are still in business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Wanted to buy a restaurant coupon, $25 for a $50 coupon. Non refundable. An API message appeared, twice, saying my purchase was not completed. So I clicked again, twice more. Charged for three coupons. Spoke with three reps. Nobody could help me. Have 3 vouchers. Cost $75. Can’t possibly use all three. Ugh.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Extremely difficult to contact customer service department/ aka call center with problems with a vendor that would or could not provide service advertised. Online text lasted over an house just to say all they will do is give "store credit". Vendor refused a full refund and LivingSocial will only give credit for other service. That credit expires 24 HOURS. I will have to use my credit for something that I DO NOT need in order not to loose my $. Either Groupon/LivingSocial or the vendor that placed the ad owe me a refund. False advertising. Now have to pay for the services I paid for plus use the money I gave Groupon/LivingSocial for something I DO NOT NEED. In order not to lose that money I agreed to the unprovided service from Groupon/LivingSocial. SO I pay double. This will be my last purchase with Groupon/LivingSocial.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

LivingSocial's policy states that once you purchase a deal through LivingSocial, the paid value NEVER EXPIRES. However, we attempted to use two vouchers where the restaurants had been permanently closed, and two other restaurants where they would not accept the expired voucher for paid value. When I finally found a method to contact LivingSocial, I was connected with a man named Sebastian **.

I stated the reasons why I would like a refund, as they claim your value never expires - and he coldly responded that whatever happens after the voucher expires is no longer their responsibility and the restaurant can choose to refuse if they want. He was cold, unhelpful, and spewing canned responses. I asked him to close my account. Please don’t make the same mistake I did! The deal might seem good, but you can find deals elsewhere, where they value their customers and their business model and reputation. LivingSocial is a scam - just don’t do it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased flight lessons for my husband for Christmas. When I got the voucher, the company website and phone number were disconnected and inaccessible. There is no customer support phone number or email. This was a total scam.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased a mattress and hit the wrong firmness. They have a place to contact customer service, since it is a no return but you have a few hours to make a change. I never got any confirmations on my order and never got a response. I emailed 4 times since they have no phone number or way to get in touch with them. The delivery company called and they gave me their phone number. I spoke to them and was told they had escalated it but I had reached out 7 days before. Then I'm told I cant change. I wanted to make my order right and pay for the correct mattress but they have the worst customer service. Then the supervisor sends me an email sorry for my problems with tracking the order and no changes can be made. Seriously? Do NOT buy from them. My money was taken out immediately but no one to help if a mistake was made.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Groupon owns LivingSocial, so be wary of either one. I've used both for years and until recently did not have a problem. In June, I bought a LivingSocial deal for a full interior/exterior car detailing. Since I wasn't ready to have my car done just yet, I waited until sometime in July to call the vendor. Keep in mind his business is on average a 40-minute drive away from my home, and I work full-time. When I finally called to schedule an appointment for a Saturday, I was informed that they aren't open on weekends and they close at 4:00 Monday through Friday.

In addition, as the owner was talking to me he discovered that my car had never been detailed, and he informed me that he would have to charge me more than what I paid on the Voucher. He compared it to the first time you have someone else clean your home - it takes a lot longer and costs you a lot more. I told him I'd think about it. I called back a couple of weeks later and told him it wasn't going to work out. I would not be able to make that drive on a weekday with rush hour traffic and I wasn't willing to pay more than I already had. He assured me that all I needed to do was call LivingSocial and tell them he had agreed to a refund and they would honor that. He said, "They are very good about that."

Nope, nope, and nope. When I spoke to Esperanza in their customer service, she told me flat out, no refunds for any reason after 3 days. So, I am out $178, the merchant gets nothing, and LivingSocial gets to keep $178 for services nobody provided. Since late-September I've had my LegalShield attorney write two letters to the company on my behalf, and both have been completely ignored - not even the courtesy of a reply. If you are not 100 percent sure you will use the service or product offered, do not purchase any vouchers from either Groupon or LivingSocial. In fact, for a service of any type, call the vendor and make sure it will work for you before purchasing. They may honor whatever deal you're seeing without the hassle of the middle company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

WOW! I bought a couple of vouchers from LivingSocial. I used one for Shaw Academy and after the course bought a lifetime membership. I called LivingSocial to refund the second Shaw Academy voucher and they won't. You only have 3 days to request a refund so don't even bother buying no matter how good the deal sounds. All the rep from LivingSocial did was read me their hidden details. They are a SCAM. They won't even provide a credit. BTW the call center and online chat is in Columbia - so good luck getting nowhere.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I ordered an item in Navy blue but received it in black. It is difficult to contact customer support and once you eventually are able to chat with them they show no care. They would not send me the correct item and requested that I set up an exchange where I would have to pay more to get the correct item even though it was THEIR MISTAKE.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I received an email today at about 10:30 am with a link to a local restaurant deal. I clicked on one the links for this deal and it led me to the website for living social, however, not this restaurant deal. There were other similar deals and there was no xyz restaurant deal is sold out. I contacted customer service via chat and was told by the first rep to send him the email, which I did. He stated that he was looking for the email and I checked and realized I had a return email stating that the email address was not receiving incoming emails. The rep actually received the email a few min later, but dropped out of the convo, or so I thought, until I ended the chat and his new messages showed up.

I began chatting with a new rep who I explained the issue to and he quickly told me that the deal was sold out. I explained to him that this was impossible since the link doesn’t even take me to the correct restaurant deal plus there’s no way that the deal could’ve expired within 5 min of it being emailed to me. He explained that there are many similar deals to chose from. I asked him how long the deals are available for and he said the Time was uncertain. I asked him for the number of deals available for purchase and he said the number was uncertain. I let him know that this deals email was a classic bait and switch deal and I ended the convo. Beware...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought a cleaning service offer. The person never returned my phone calls. I canceled and received credit. Slowly I was trying to use up the credit. Let’s be honest, the deals are all crappy. All of a sudden the money is gone. Customer service says I didn’t read the fine print. They stole my money.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I received an email from Living Social that contained an ad for purchase of an Apple iPad 4, either a 16 or 32gb that was a scratch and dent model. I ordered it. Today, when I received the email confirming my order was about to ship, it showed the product was used! I called Customer Service and eventually was transferred to a supervisor. I told her the ad was dishonest. She apologized, but refused to cancel my order. Stated their policy is order must be canceled in 2 hours! She refused to let me to speak to a manager at a higher level and told me all she could do was give me an address to write!

The product will be shipped to me. I must return it to the post office to return to them and it will take them 2-3 weeks to verify I have a right to return the product. Then, I should receive an email saying return was accepted. After another few days, the money should be returned to my card. All this because this company deceptively led me to purchase a used or refurbished product. Texas has Deceptive Trade Practice Laws against such activity!!! Don't buy anything from this company! Wow!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I ordered a "cleaning" for my apt. The deal was $59.00 for what is normally a $120.00 job. This is the way all LivingSocial/Groupon deals work. When I tried to redeem my voucher, the cost was about 4 times more; even much more than the $120.00. This is a total ripoff!!! When I requested a refund of my $59.00 they told me there was a 3 day refund policy... is this true even if their ad is dishonest??? Sabastian at Living Social referred me to the bottom of the page which he claims, on the first line or so, refers to the fact that the $59.00 is really a "partial payment". If that is true, and reading the portion I was referred does not exactly say that, it should be made very clear on the voucher not in a paragraph under it. There should be a SCAM alert on Living Social and Groupon!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

A few weeks ago, I bought a voucher for a CHL class for my husband and gifted it to him. The deal looked pretty good. The hours for the business said Monday through Friday. My husband could do those days. When we went to redeem the voucher, however, the ONLY class available was on Saturday, when we are not available. We tried contacting the business to see if there was a different day available that wasn't on the website. Couldn't get a hold of them by either email offered or their phone number. I went to get a refund but guess what. LivingSocial's refund policy is you're only given 3 DAYS to get a refund.

I requested customer service assistance, and they only offered online chat. In the online chat, I told the guy, "I can't get a hold of this business by email or phone," and he responded, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the business." I was like, "Are you even a real person? I very clearly said I CANNOT CONTACT THIS BUSINESS." He just answered with something generic. I swear he was a bot.

Then when I called the corporate office, the lady on the phone was like, "I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do. Did you check the website? Their days of operation are Monday through Friday." I told her that was clearly inaccurate, because the only day the class in question was offered was on Saturday, and I kept trying to explain to her and she just kept saying, "I'm sorry. I don't understand. Their days of operation are Monday through Friday," and I was finally like, "Are you even listening to me???" She never did get it. So pretty much, I've wasted my money. If I ever buy from this place again, I'm going to make sure I can contact the business ahead of time. No more trusting that all the information is upfront. And don't bother with customer service. They're worthless.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have purchased several vouchers from LivingSocial. Some are good deals but more frequently the purchase is with a company that is no longer (or never was?) in business or will simply not call back to schedule service. If you call LivingSocial customer service you are offered a credit instead of a refund. I see this as unsatisfactory resolution since it was their lack of diligence up front that caused this problem.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I communicated with customer service about 5 LONG SLEEVE shirts I received and were prone to shrink after just one wash/dry cycle. I asked to return all 5 shirts after realizing they would be prone to shrink. I was told that since I had purchased them on July 20, 2018 (and today was Sept 11, 2018) that I had exceeded their 30 day return policy. I told them this had nothing to do with "when" I received them but that it was clearly a problem with the way the shirt held up after just one washing; i.e. it is clearly a manufacturer's defect issue. I had washed just one shirt one time and it shrank in length a full 2 inches. I am stuck with LIVINGSOCIAL'S shrinking shirts and their funky rules on what appears to be a NO return policy for manufacturer's defects!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I moved out of an City and State before I was able to use several vouchers. Living Social refused to refund the vouchers. When I chatted online their only response was sorry... Really, they are sorry for ripping me off. This website is a scam. Never purchase anything from these people ever again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I'm concerned about the security of my payment information due to what I was told by one of their customer service reps today. I attempted to purchase a Sam's Club membership using my PayPal account. My PayPal account is linked to my bank account. I received a confirmation email, but when I attempted to follow the directions to redeem my membership, the voucher didn't have a redemption code. I just spoke to somebody at LivingSocial called Yenci via the website. Yenci kept asking for my banking information, & I kept telling Yanci that I use PayPal as a security measure, so that I can protect myself against fraudulent use. I don't think Yenci understood what PayPal is, or possibly didn't care about account security issues & that people like to use PayPal as a means to prevent fraudulent use. Yenci wanted me to give a card or account #.

PayPal doesn't work that way, & if I wanted to give my banking information out I would've done that in the first place rather than using PayPal. It felt a little bit like I was being scammed. I asked if there was a phone number I could call for assistance & was told that there is no phone number. I asked Yenci if they understood how PayPal works, & all Yenci said was "I'm sorry, but I can't help you with this issue if you refuse to give account information". Supposedly my order was cancelled due to security concerns, I was told that I could attempt to order again, but could not be assured that it would be processed. My MAIN concern is that I don't get charged twice for this if I do attempt to order again. Very, very, very poor customer service!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I booked 8/4 Ramada hotel through LivingSocial. When I arrived to hotel, hotel said that they did not receive any information and no room is available. Basically, LivingSocial took my money and did not do anything. I strongly believe this is a fraud. LivingSocial has three options to contact them. Email, live chat, callback request. Callback request is not available. So I started live chat. After all my explanation, live chat says internal team will try to help and escalate the issue and ended without my response. I tried to use the live link again, but the link became unavailable. Wow. Real high technology. Obviously, I as well as hotel did not hear anything from LivingSocial. Please advise what I need to do. LivingSocial left my family on the street and ruined the family vacation.

Original review: July 16, 2018

There is a reason why L.S. is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. They are terrible. I have had more than one issue with them, the last just a newspaper subscription which stated that when I checked out with my address etc, that was all that was necessary. Obviously not, because a week later I received an email that my voucher had expired but I could use the money ONLY at the merchant for whom it was originally purchased. And purchase a subscription for considerably more. The Orlando Sentinel stated they had no record of my purchase and referred me to L.S.... L.S. stated that it was a third member purchase so I had to get my money from the Orlando Sentinel. Back and forth and back again, to no avail. I think it was a scam. Although it was a minimal amount, hundreds of purchases gave someone somewhere a tidy sum and a good laugh on our account. I will never buy from Living Social again, and neither should you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Stay away! If you get a deal and are unable to use it, after it's been 3 days, you cannot get a refund no matter what! They don't care if you bought a deal if it's out of state and you are unable to use the deal. They will say well I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but per policy after it's been 3 days since the purchase we are unable to issue a refund. The only exception is if the business is closed. If you get a deal and the merchant refuses to honor it, they don't care. You are out of your money. Boycott this company and don't use them. Use Groupon instead.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased a Blackstone Pizza Oven several weeks ago from LivingSocial. When I put it together I noticed that the turntable was warped. I tried using it but the pizza was burned on one side and raw on the other. I went to the LivingSocial website to see what they could do but I was told that they were not responsible and I could not return it. I was to call Blackstone. I have email Blackstone several times and called their customer service. I was even given the name Whitney to call which I did. She never called back. At this point I cannot see myself ever doing business with either LivingSocial or Blackstone.

Original review: June 26, 2018

When I called the carpet cleaning company to schedule an appointment, I was told I didn't live within 20 miles of their zip code and they refused to provide service. I emailed LivingSocial in hopes of discussing the situation, but never received a reply. After a great deal of effort I found LivingSocial's phone number, called, was placed on hold for a long period and eventually given the same explanation. I asked for the address of the carpet cleaning company so I could check the distance for myself, but was told they didn't have the company's address.

I asked to speak with the supervisor, was placed on hold for another long period and eventually told she was on another call. I left my cell number and asked for a return call, which I am still waiting for. I have canceled my LivingSocial account and unsubscribed to future email communications. It seems odd that they would rather lose a long time customer than give a $32 refund for service that was never provided. It also seems odd that they don't screen the providers very well. The company was very unprofessional when I contacted them. Unfortunately, scam is the only way to describe my experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought a hosepipe using a LivingSocial voucher and it was not fit for purpose. They say it is nothing to do with them and I have to liaise through the supplier called Groundlevel... Groundlevel deny any responsibility and want me to pay to send it back to the manufacturer. All a total waste of time and money. So I will never buy from either Groundlevel or LivingSocial again... Will make my life a lot less stressful.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a deal titled "Lunchbox Laboratory - Bellevue." Turns out, the deal was not for the restaurant's Bellevue location. It was for either of two more distant locations. LivingSocial's customer service agent would do nothing put point to the deal's fine print, which specified the other two locations. Legally correct, ethically terrible. The deal was deceptively titled. If the title had not included the city, I would have scrutinized the fine print more carefully. But it did, setting the expectation that the deal was for the Bellevue location. I'm cancelling our LivingSocial account and advise anyone who continues to use them to read the fine print very carefully and watch out for deceptive descriptions.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Ordered a Rattan set, was due today, heard nothing so emailed supplier and LivingSocial. No reply from supplier, Living send reply saying, "Track your order," doesn't work. Call them and they take absolutely no responsibility but will email supplier, who we know don't reply. They don't even take responsibility for the email they send that doesn't work. They won't call them but offer me a phone number that I call. Wait 9 minutes and am then cut off. I am now on phone again to LivingSocial in a queue yet again. This lady is far more helpful and offering to get hold of them. She has managed to get them, they say I didn't select a delivery date, but there wasn't an option, I am now due to get item Friday? Maybe I will be impressed on Friday.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I purchased 5 tickets to go to a show with my family. After I purchase the tickets I received an email saying they would be ready in an hour. I spoke with someone after I tried over and over to print the voucher. I was then told that I could print the tickets 24 to 48 hours before the show... WOW! They didn't wait 24 to 48 hours to charge my credit card. That's not fair. LivingSocial is a BIG JOKE!!! I WILL NEVER, NEVER use this site again and don't recommend it to the DEVIL!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely the worst gift given (Entertainment - Ultimate Date Night). It was so confusing. You have to purchase ** to get your restaurant part. Is WAS A GIFT!!! I shouldn't buy anything. I shouldn't be confused. This site is horrible and money sucking. If you EVER get this as a bonus - quit. It is an insulting POS! ✌#wetried #yousuck.

LivingSocial expert review by Erin Huffstetler

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.

• Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.

• Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.

• Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.

• Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.

• Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.

• Best for: Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

LivingSocial Company Information