1.10/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 16, 2018

233 LivingSocial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2018

Ordered a Rattan set, was due today, heard nothing so emailed supplier and LivingSocial. No reply from supplier, Living send reply saying, "Track your order," doesn't work. Call them and they take absolutely no responsibility but will email supplier, who we know don't reply. They don't even take responsibility for the email they send that doesn't work. They won't call them but offer me a phone number that I call. Wait 9 minutes and am then cut off. I am now on phone again to LivingSocial in a queue yet again. This lady is far more helpful and offering to get hold of them. She has managed to get them, they say I didn't select a delivery date, but there wasn't an option, I am now due to get item Friday? Maybe I will be impressed on Friday.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I purchased 5 tickets to go to a show with my family. After I purchase the tickets I received an email saying they would be ready in an hour. I spoke with someone after I tried over and over to print the voucher. I was then told that I could print the tickets 24 to 48 hours before the show... WOW! They didn't wait 24 to 48 hours to charge my credit card. That's not fair. LivingSocial is a BIG JOKE!!! I WILL NEVER, NEVER use this site again and don't recommend it to the DEVIL!!!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely the worst gift given (Entertainment - Ultimate Date Night). It was so confusing. You have to purchase ** to get your restaurant part. Is WAS A GIFT!!! I shouldn't buy anything. I shouldn't be confused. This site is horrible and money sucking. If you EVER get this as a bonus - quit. It is an insulting POS! ✌#wetried #yousuck.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I ordered a dash cam on the 7th March. Still not received it, it's now the 6th April. Was told I would receive it by 14 March. Have been in touch with them and told it would be with me on the 21st March. Still not arrived Have been back in touch with them and told to get in touch with Gilded Olive myself, I feel this is just passing the buck on to someone else. What can I do to move them on.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a deal for Tacos Guaymas in Seattle. When I arrived the manager told me they were not honoring the coupons because LivingSocial had added the location without their permission. I would not have traveled so far to this restaurant without the deal I purchased. I was unable to use it. I contacted LivingSocial for an explanation as I questioned the integrity of their business. No matter how many attempts I made they offered no explanation so I've assumed what the restaurant told me is accurate. They had stated that they made several attempts to contact LivingSocial with no response. Due to LivingSocial's lack of care & response for details, etc. I've decided what the restaurant told me is accurate. To this day I still have not heard from them. They did credit my money for the deal purchase; however, I will not purchase from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Original review: March 10, 2018

I have purchased several services from Living Social/Groupon. They allow companies to make up crazy rules in fine print that make it almost impossible to use the discount and won't give you your money back. For instance, you purchase a massage, you call to make the appointment and the hours of the company is from 10-4 Monday-Friday only. If you work, how can you do that. Or like the carpet cleaners who in small print charge $10 for hallways even though you paid for 7 areas and only used 5. Do yourself a favor and save your money. It's simply an avenue for small companies to scam you.

Original review: March 9, 2018

First, I purchased a Cornhole game for $169.00 and after three months, the wood started separating. They say they have free returns but only if you send it back in a set time frame. They don’t care that the product was damaged as long as they get their money. Also, the order number below was for some calendars I bought. I called several times for help and also did several chats but no one could help. My voucher expired today because the site was impossible to maneuver and the voucher wouldn’t load. Who cares if I get face value for the voucher. It is completely worthless and again, they get their money. WHAT A SHAM!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a drone along with a 2 year warranty from LivingSocial.com. The drone stopped running and I sent my information along with an email confirmation regarding the purchase to the warranty company. The warranty company rejected the email confirmation and I contacted Livingsocial to get a copy of the invoice. I have been dealing with them for weeks and no one can provide an invoice for the purchase. I believe that they are trying to make it so difficult that I will give up. I wish I would have read review on this company before I purchased anything from them. I will never purchase anything from them again. Please beware that this company is a joke. Don't waste your time or money on them!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

LivingSocial has a 3-day refund policy. Unfortunately, you can't find it anywhere on their website except deep in their Terms of Service. I will never buy from these guys again. They chose to make like $20 vs. keeping a customer. So now all of the businesses they "represent" will not get any visibility from me and anyone in my network if I can help it!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I bought two vacation vouchers from LivingSocial in the UK and paid $435 dollars. After going to their, "merchant's" website Crystal Travel the vouchers wouldn't work. I immediately contacted their customer service to which they replied saying they couldn't give me a refund and now they are ignoring my emails.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased a $20 Stockpile voucher which didn't go through, and since it's final sale, LivingSocial won't do any. When clicking the redeem online from LivingSocial, it suppose to provide promotion code to the stockpile website which I couldn't see. After setting up account in Stockpile and provided SSN, the voucher doesn't work. From Stockpile, they can't see any, so I paid for nothing. Not only that, my personal information including SSN was collected for nothing. I really hope this is not a scam.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Purchased a Sam's Club membership from LivingSocial, the redemption code they provided has never worked. I've spent countless hours calling, they promise to "escalate" the problem, then I never hear from them. Just called customer service, you have to do some sleuthing, they don't provide a number on their website. I spoke with someone who barely speaks English (India) and supposedly my case is being "escalated" again, this time for a refund. We'll see. I've spent more time trying to deal with this than the value of my voucher, what a waste of time.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Called and emailed Living Social in regards 2 voucher that I purchased for electrolysis. The company Nios is saying that they cannot honor the voucher since I have been there over 1 year ago and it is for new clients only. (1) Why does Living Social takes customer money when they know that the voucher will never work.(2) Living Social fine print on their website states that NEVER TO WORRY the paid value with merchant does not expire. Their customer service is telling me that they cannot issue my refund of $110.00 or give me a Living Social credit. This company is so disreputable and I don't know how they haven't been shut down yet and the people behind this company not in jail yet???

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased brow microblading, made an appointment, and went to the establishment. The technician refused service because I had previous brow tattoos, and he didn't think the result would be attractive. I wanted the service yet it was denied. LivingSocial has the responsibility to provide a refund since LivingSocial is acting as the fiduciary agent of the brow company. Customer Service needs to support the customer. I will NEVER buy another LivingSocial product. Although it may look like a good deal, it is not an honorable company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Bought a spa day voucher as a Xmas present for a friend, stated on purchase the experience needed to be booked in next 12 months, but then following email gave only 10 days to book. Requested a new code but told nothing can be done, nothing but thieves.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The Refund Policy on their printed voucher states that a refund will be given if the merchant goes out of business. Our Voucher's merchant went out of business. We call LivingSocial and they said "NO REFUNDS." We said, "Your policy states refunds for out of business." Customer Service said, "NO REFUNDS." Do not use LivingSocial for any purchases!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I purchased a LivingSocial coupon for an arcade located at Niagara falls. It was in Canada so I had no service to pull up the coupon and we couldn't use it. When I called to have a refund they pointed out in the fine print it states there is only a 3 day return policy and that I can only give it as a gift. It's not every day that someone is going to an arcade in Niagara falls in Canada, I can't just give that away. Horrible customer service and would not help out at all, not even give a credit for something local to me back at home 8 hours away.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased a shredding voucher for Staples from LivingSocial. Their closest store to me is 2 hours away and there is nothing about a 3 day cancellation policy. They told me it's in the Fine Print. It's a joke and I think LivingSocial is a huge ripoff. They will not allow me to get a refund, they won't even allow me to redeem the $20 voucher for credit for a future purchase. I think they sit back all day and collect $20 from people and laugh at us. I will NEVER, EVER buy from LivingSocial again and will never tell anybody anything thats good from this company.

The last voucher I bought was to a restaurant near me that was CLOSED and LivingSocial did not even know they were selling vouchers to a restaurant that is CLOSED until I told them. Customer service as well as Miguel, the supervisor were totally unappreciative of my situation and basically said there was nothing that can be done about my $20. The voucher says closest Staples to me, which is about 2 miles away but is not on their list. The only store close to me is 2 HOURS away. Not my fault, and NOT on the voucher, nor is 3 day cancellation notice.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Purchased a meat combo from Omaha Steaks on LS and followed the instructions on LS for redeeming the offering (click on the link to Omaha Steaks and enter the redemption code). The link brings you to Omaha Steaks where you have to click on a product. They do not carry the Jolly Ol' Feast so the redemption code cannot be entered. I used search to find Jolly Ol' Feast and they do not have that product period. I called Omaha Steaks customer service and was told to go back to LS as they cannot sell me a gift package they do not carry. After a lengthy customer chat with LS that went nowhere, I was told LS would send me an email in 48 hours to "escalate" the complaint. I asked for contact info so I could follow up on the email (should it not arrive) and my chat was disconnected at that point.

I had asked to speak with someone who could help me and was told repeatedly to go to the Omaha Steak link... call Omaha Steaks or drive to the nearest store (there is no Omaha Steaks store in SC by the way)... Googled how to voice a complaint against LS and saw a box requesting I email their complaint department before filing a complaint with BBB... so I emailed them the transcript of the chat and requested instructions on how to proceed. The email was returned as undeliverable.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I bought a service agreement for my A/C. I found out that the company didn't service where I live. Therefore, I asked for a refund from LivingSocial and as I was chatting with Carlos **. He closed the chat on me. But before he did he stated I could not get a refund because of the fine print in the agreement. When I put my zip code in if I was outside the service area, they should've reject my payment. I think this might be a scam.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I purchased a voucher on October 18th for Bliss Spa in Scottsdale. It has never arrived. The email to the contact address on my PayPal receipt bounced as not found. The phone number per PayPal receipt is a recording for Groupon. I opened a case on-line through the LivingSocial web-site and received the following illiterate response, less than 24 hrs later: "Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience but since we're not getting any response from you within 24 hour we might need to solve this ticket. If you have question please feel free to send us an email or try to contact our chat support or contact us via phone."

I called the telephone number provided and was connected to a female with such a heavy accent that I could barely understand her. She kept telling me to send in my credit card statement showing the charge. I kept explaining I would forward my PayPal confirmation as I paid via PayPal. The email address she requested I send it to: info@livingsocial.com bounced as not found - surprise. She continually told me that she was escalating my case and it could take 48-72 business hours. No. There was no supervisor or EFL person to speak to. I now have a claim into PayPal, meanwhile had to cancel my spa appointments and I see from previous posts that LivingSocial has declined into some questionable business practices. Shame, because at one time they were legit and I used them a lot. A nice alternative to Groupon - not all deals are the exactly same. But no more. LivingSocial has become a frustrating joke and obvious rip-off.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

LivingSocial ran a deal for a Costco membership in which the purchaser would receive a $20 Costco gift card AND $35 in coupons redeemable for Costco products. I have not received ANY of the promised coupons nor did I receive the promised gift card. Customer service at LivingSocial is TERRIBLE!!! The phone center is the noisiest environment I've ever encountered on the phone... I could barely hear the rep over the background noise which sounded like an aircraft hangar and had to shout for 30 minutes in which I was transferred 3 times, put on extended hold for 10 minutes at a time twice and hung up on once - still with no resolution!!! Needless to say I also had to repeat my identifying information every time since each time I was transferred it was to begin the process all over again from square one. I will NEVER deal with LivingSocial again!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Had an error on order I placed with Living Social. Tried to explain on Live Chat. Cut off before I finished with issue. E-mailed again. Customer service person, David ** apparently did not even read what I had written, because he said I could not get a refund, which I had neither requested nor wanted. What I wanted was what I had paid for, a voucher for three products. I had only received 2 with which I was very satisfied and said so. I wanted the third and had set it up on the 3rd party website and created an account so I could just order when the matter was settled. Did not want to pay the additional shipping charge either.

Tried again to contact, answered dissatisfied twice on follow-up and still never heard another word. Tried again to contact with a phone # I found on the internet and was referred to Groupon. And the saga continued. My 1st request for a call back was answered immediately - unfortunately as soon as I mentioned Living Social my call needed to be transferred, I held for 9 minutes before I was cut off. Called again - same # calling back - no one there. This poor excuse for customer service is INEXCUSABLE!!! I know its a small amount, but no customer should be treated so shabbily. Please read this in its entirety - Difficult to understand I know, but the message I really want to convey is if you are trying to sell something you had better do everything in your power to make sure your customer is satisfied. We all have access to Social Media too.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought an item and said it was final sale unless there was a defect in the item. I received it on Saturday, opened up Sunday and found it was defective. I emailed them four times they refused to get back to me so I called my credit card and I’m disputing the claim. When I looked under if things aren’t affected they had a new message stating that if I bought it from the company’s website I’ll get a refund but from their website I won’t. That’s false advertising so that’s why I am disputing it and I have protection on my credit card.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I purchased a book, before I went on a trip so, when I got home I could put pictures in the book. I went on Shutterfly, no luck, Groupon/LivingSocial, no luck and the first time I finally get to state my feelings, I get turned down. Now to see if this complaint goes anywhere.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I recently purchased a LivingSocial coupon for a full synthetic oil change. Paid $56.00. Went to Jiffy Lube for my oil change only to find out my voucher did not include tax, so I still owed tax. It also didn't cover 4 wheel drive on my car. I went back to re-read the fine print and nowhere on there does it list that it doesn't include the sales tax. I used it and paid the difference but then emailed Living Social today to let them know that they really should include that in the ''fine print''. I got a response back from customer service apologizing for not being able to use my voucher, which I did use it and that it was trade-able... That was not at all what I wrote in to them about. They obviously didn't even read my complaint and suggestion. I think that it is misleading to not have that information included in the fine print.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Bad customer care. After years of buying Living Social vouchers, I've had enough and am done with them. They say you have three days to cancel a purchase, however, they don't make it easy. If it's refundable in three days, then make it clear with a refund button, an email, or phone number that someone can actually get through on.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Very much like many of the reviews I have just read, Living Social has stolen my money. I have 3 different vouchers to 2 places that are no longer in business. Living Social refuses to credit back to me any money, I wasn't even asking for a refund. They just keep stating they cannot refund my money... even though that's not was I'm asking for. To them refund and credit are basically the same thing and they just won't do it. I'm out almost $100 and will never ever buy from Living Social again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

As a customer of LivingSocial, I called customer service to inform them the restaurant vouchers I bought didn't work, the restaurants did not honor them and some were out of business. LivingSocial direct customer service number at 202 400-2100 operate in another remote foreign location, in a location so loud you can't understand them. Their email at help@livingsocial.com isn't any better, they are clueless and offer no help at all. So go ahead and throw your money away, I did with this company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I purchased 5 vouchers for my son's bachelor party for tubing in Harper's Ferry. When I tried to book appointments, I was told the date I chose was a black-out date because it was a holiday weekend. I immediately called customer service and asked for a refund, but because it had been 4 days, not 3, they refused to do so. I tried again today on day 5, with similar results. Yet the message on the phone is that the company wants customers to have an exceptional experience. That message is inaccurate. It should be removed.

The first representative I spoke to said he would give me LivingSocial credit (which I do not want, but thought it was better than nothing), but he failed to do so. Hence, my call on day 5. The customer reps like to lecture customers about reading the policies. I'd like to lecture them on good customer service. Three days is insufficient time for refunds, as most people are working and have other responsibilities. Do not buy anything from LivingSocial. You have been warned.

LivingSocial expert review by Erin Huffstetler

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.

• Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.

• Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.

• Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.

• Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.

• Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.

• Best for: Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

LivingSocial Company Information