LivingSocial

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bad customer care. After years of buying Living Social vouchers, I've had enough and am done with them. They say you have three days to cancel a purchase, however, they don't make it easy. If it's refundable in three days, then make it clear with a refund button, an email, or phone number that someone can actually get through on.

Very much like many of the reviews I have just read, Living Social has stolen my money. I have 3 different vouchers to 2 places that are no longer in business. Living Social refuses to credit back to me any money, I wasn't even asking for a refund. They just keep stating they cannot refund my money... even though that's not was I'm asking for. To them refund and credit are basically the same thing and they just won't do it. I'm out almost $100 and will never ever buy from Living Social again.

As a customer of LivingSocial, I called customer service to inform them the restaurant vouchers I bought didn't work, the restaurants did not honor them and some were out of business. LivingSocial direct customer service number at 202 400-2100 operate in another remote foreign location, in a location so loud you can't understand them. Their email at help@livingsocial.com isn't any better, they are clueless and offer no help at all. So go ahead and throw your money away, I did with this company.

I purchased 5 vouchers for my son's bachelor party for tubing in Harper's Ferry. When I tried to book appointments, I was told the date I chose was a black-out date because it was a holiday weekend. I immediately called customer service and asked for a refund, but because it had been 4 days, not 3, they refused to do so. I tried again today on day 5, with similar results. Yet the message on the phone is that the company wants customers to have an exceptional experience. That message is inaccurate. It should be removed.

The first representative I spoke to said he would give me LivingSocial credit (which I do not want, but thought it was better than nothing), but he failed to do so. Hence, my call on day 5. The customer reps like to lecture customers about reading the policies. I'd like to lecture them on good customer service. Three days is insufficient time for refunds, as most people are working and have other responsibilities. Do not buy anything from LivingSocial. You have been warned.

There is no way to find a number to them... You can at best request a call but only during few hours during the day. Then they call you, can't help you on the phone and say they will follow up with you on the email... only to get a generic copy paste reply in email... No help. Terrible customer support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

I purchased 2 vouchers from Living Social and had a terrible experience with both. First was for an oven clean which cost £29 from Living Social then an additional £35 directly to the company. The company canceled the clean then stated it would probably never happen so they would refund me - this was 5 weeks ago and I now cannot get through to the company and Living Socials response is 'It's not our problem'.

I still haven't received a refund and I am now trying to dispute this through my bank. Before I knew how bad this experience would be I ordered a mattress that, when it arrived, was nothing like the description and again I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get the mattress collected and a refund but again Living Social didn't care. I believe they should accept responsibility for the companies they advertise. After my last conversation with a very surly customer service adviser I will never use this company again and I recommend no one else does.

I had a very negative experience when contacting customer service. Every time they emailed me back, they would cut and paste a response from their website. In my final email, I asked them to please respond to my question instead of giving me information I could have read from their website. While I was browsing their website, I purchased a deal by mistake for $20. When I contacted them after realizing that I had purchased the deal, I explained the situation and told them it was a mistake and I did not need the service nor live in the area. Keep in mind that they offer refunds for 3 days; when I found out it was on day 5.

I have a business and have used sites like this before, but never Living Social. I realize they pay the company a portion, but I find it hard to believe that they would have already paid the company the $10 in 5 days. I was surprised to see that so many other people have had complaints in dealing with this company. I would think for such a low amount of money they would be concerned with wanting to keep a customer instead of keeping the $10 they get from their half of the deal. I am left with a negative impression of this company and their policies, and would encourage others to be very careful. There are too many other websites such as this to purchase deals from; Groupon has most of the same ones anyways.

I purchased a massage voucher via LivingSocial as a gift in April. Since May the person has been trying to contact the place to schedule the massage. The only phone number listed on the site is a cell number that you cannot leave messages on because it is full. The online scheduling only says "not available" all the way through October (which was as far as I tried). I called living social for a refund or credit to my account. They are unable to help me since the voucher expired 5 days ago. The tech and supervisor kept repeating their rehearsed dialog that there was nothing they could do for me. This is terrible customer service. They should check out the providers they are willing to post to their site. Now I am out $60 and owe the person another gift. I will NEVER use living social again!

I paid for a gift (to myself) for a photo blanket. No big deal but I did want it. I tried to redeem the certificate emailed to me on several occasions but the "url" would not work. I wrote to the company, they asked for proof of my purchase. I sent them the confirmation, as well as my credit card statement. I next received an email saying my purchase was going to expire soon and I must redeem. Once again, the "url" did not work. I again wrote to the company. I also attached the latest email to my first complaint. Have not heard back. A scam for sure. Be warned.

First off all, why would such a "reputable" company such as LivingSocial have a private number for customer service ** registered to Dr. Sacha **? Anyway, I have a voucher from Trojan promotions for $25 off any LivingSocial purchase expiring July 31st 2017. LivingSocial won’t accept the code, and their joke of a customer service department can’t help me but instead offer 15% off. I’m afraid with the merger of Groupon and LivingSocial, we’ll end up with a conglomerate of liars and fraudsters. I’m now afraid of buying anything not only from LivingSocial, but Groupon.

I purchased 2 coupons from LivingSocial which were supposed to be valid at Staples for shredding services, after 19 days of fighting with LivingSocial customer service and tech support, and Staples store and corporate staff, after 4 visits to the local Staples store, 2 phone calls to Staples corporate, countless hours on hold and on the phone with LivingSocial customer service and many false promises from LivingSocial customer service and tech support, they have finally worn me down, I just give up. Staples will not honor the coupons and I even had the store manager call their corporate office with me standing there, that still failed.

I am very frustrated and angry about how LivingSocial can sell something that is clearly a scam then they lead you on promising to make it work maybe hoping that you will give up or that the value of the coupon will expire. The support staff in LivingSocial is in the Philippines and they NEVER let you talk to a supervisor, if you ask for a supervisor they give you many excuses hoping to wear you down then they put you on a 28 minute hold and then they eventually just hang up on you. DO NOT BUY from this company!!! Here is the proof LivingSocial Ticket # ** so anyone can verify my ordeal. Vouchers number 1: **voucher # 2: **.

I purchased a carpet cleaning from Mr. Extreme Clean. Shortly after the purchase I contacted Mr. Extreme Clean to set up the appointment. The guy that answered the phone had no business etiquette and I was a little apprehensive but I set up an appointment anyway to have my carpets cleaned. He gave me a window between 900 am and 11:00 am. Well Mr. Extreme Clean never showed or called to reschedule. My husband and I both took time off from work for this service. I was so frustrated. I immediately contacted LS for a refund. They said it would be processed but I could only get a credit/voucher since it was beyond the seven day window. I didn't like it but I read their refund policy and had to deal with that. I figured once I got the credit and used it on something else, I would close out my account with LS and be done with them.

Well, about two days later I received an email telling me my coupon had been redeemed. What? I contact LS again and was told to tell them that the coupon had not been redeemed and I wanted a refund of my purchase and I was told that this was their process to show the coupon was redeemed when the refund is being processed. It sounded ridiculous and suspicious to me and I think the whole thing is a scam. I am still waiting for my refund. LS obviously does not screen their businesses so I will never do business with them again.

Buyer Beware. Keep your money in your pocked and don't trust LS. Also LS is supposedly based in Washington so why does their automated message about customer service times say Central Standard Time. Last I checked Washington DC is in the East Coast. Scam Scam Scam. Don't trust them. They don't care about customer service, they only want your money and will not give you a refund. I am thinking about taking them to court just for the principle.

I purchased a voucher for a wine and paint class in my area. Immediately after the purchase, I went on the wine and paint website to book the class, there were none scheduled in my area. I went back to the LivingSocial website and clicked on refund. I expected the money to be refunded through PayPal back to my bank account and today I see I am given credit on the LivingSocial website. I'm glad it was only $42 and not a trip I was planning to book. No credibility here, I wouldn't advise use this website to purchase anything.

Three days ago I got an email saying my credit card’s not working for a steak dinner which I never ordered. I called LivingSocial to tell them and I was told they will credit my account. I mentioned that I never asked for this and I said oh doesn't matter will just credit your account and they did tell me that there is a system flaw. Today two days later I got another email from LivingSocial that my credit card was not working for the same unrequested dinner. I asked for a manager from their Philippine staff and was hung up on.

I hired steam cleaner who never showed up; received "deal bucks" instead of reimbursement. Used these "deal bucks" and additional funds to hire window cleaner. Window cleaner tells me he does not serve my area. Again, I am offered "deal bucks". I call their customer service and request to get money back instead of deal buck. Get disconnected and don't receive a call back as promised. Call again and when I state my request, get disconnected right away. How can a company just take my money and keep it at their pleasure without providing the promised service?

We purchased a deal last year and failed to use it before the promotional period. I tried calling for a refund on the paid value (which expires 4/2/2021 based on the "fine print") and the business had gone out of business. A subsequent call to LivingSocial with my problem was incredibly frustrating. They kept pointing me to a website that didn't exist and repeating "fine print" that was different than my voucher. From my perspective my financial transaction was with LivingSocial and they failed to meet their contractual agreement. Buyer beware.

Cosmetic & Vascular Suite NYC. Three at $425 - NEVER NEVER buy one of their "Deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again. THEIR POLICY IS TO NEVER REFUND YOU AFTER YOUR PURCHASE EXPIRES OR TO GIVE YOU THE VALUE YOU PAID. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a cosmetic procedure as a gift. My boyfriend is a police officer in the general division and works long hours and the night shift. It is difficult to get an appointment when you live in NJ and you work all crazy hours.

The remedy the doctor came up with was to use his knee machine and charge me the difference from what I paid to what his new machine cost. To me this is bait and switch. Fine, but I still want my original $425 I paid. My paid value clearly states it expires in 2023. I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: Don't waste your money with LivingSocial. So now I am out of $425. I recommend not going to the doctor as he should honor the voucher and don't buy from LivingSocial. GO TO GROUPON. THEY ARE FAIR!!!

With the LivingSocial app I purchased a voucher for district entertainment recording studio for the engineering component in actuality approaches to which they did under the recording single but they have not honored the engineering. I contacted LivingSocial. They said that the voucher is good for five years. The voucher was originally purchased on May 2nd 2013. But upon reviewing the voucher information it says it is expired and the voucher has still not been honored. I did request a refund shortly after purchasing the voucher when I realized that the recording studio was not responding effectively. LivingSocial said that the voucher was good for five years.

LivingSocial still sells a "Drunk History Tour" in the Seattle area despite the fact that this tour no longer exists. There was no way for me to request a refund from my account and LivingSocial prefers to not list any contact information anywhere to complain about such things. With no way to redeem the cost, the voucher expired. I will never purchase from them again. They should be reported as a scam company. They also sent me a promotional email with no way to unsubscribe from it, so I blocked them immediately.

My recommendation is to never buy one of their "deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again and their policy is such that they probably won't even refund you. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a restaurant I wanted to try. Restaurant is difficult to get a reservation at; promotional value expires. Fine, but I still want my original $20 I paid. Except now this restaurant is out of business. So I cannot go there, and even though my paid value clearly states it expires in 2019 I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: don't waste your money with LivingSocial.

I had a company go out of business and the paid promotional says it does not expire until 2019. When I called they said there was nothing they could do and the money is just lost. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. I have over $100 in vouchers that say the value never expires and I no longer trust this company.

I attempted to get a refund on a service I was unable to use from LivingSocial. The coupon was not showing in my list of refundable coupons so I called where I spoke with someone I could barely understand because of her heavy accent. I requested a refund, but it was explained to me that she was powerless to provide the refund after asking about my attempt to redeem the coupon. There was nothing that could be done. I found the customer service representative was rude and most unhelpful. I will never use this web service again in the future. Their failure has led me to leave this review.

I have a couple of expired vouchers I tried to use, but when I went to the restaurant, they said management has changed, so the voucher will not be honored (even though the vouchers clearly state that paid value does not expire). They recommended I call LivingSocial to ask for help with this issue and when I did that, LivingSocial told me once a voucher is expired, it's between me and the restaurant. They can't do anything apparently! I will never buy a LivingSocial voucher again! This is terrible customer service and there is no accountability with the restaurants.

I purchased a massage voucher for my wife at an establishment I had gone to the previous year. That night the masseuse texted me asking if I would submit a refund request to LivingSocial and purchase through her website as LivingSocial takes a large percentage from her. I liked the place so I did so not knowing they would give me site credits rather than crediting my credit card back since it was the same day or within 24 hours of the original purchase. Two days later I was browsing the site and the buy now option popped up at the bottom of my iphone and I must have grazed it with my hand and it automatically began the purchasing process without allowing me to confirm the purchase so I clicked on the back arrow hoping it would prevent the transaction. Unfortunately it did not.

I called LivingSocial asking for a refund. I was told only a site credit could be issued even after explaining the situation in its entirety. I will be disputing the charges with my credit card company which appears to be my only avenue to pursue at this point as they are unwilling to process a refund even though these "purchases" happened within the last few days and no services/benefits were rendered. Groupon would never conduct business this way nor would any respectful company. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to get ripped off.

Small dollars, but still money. They say the paid portion of your voucher never expires. I understand and accept that the promotional value does expire. I tried to use an expired voucher (that I paid $15 for) at a merchant that was still in business. They refused to honor it telling me LivingSocial was responsible. So I paid full price and went home to call LS. The agent told me they could not process refund because the merchant was no longer in LS program. WHAT? I drilled into their Terms and Conditions to see where they do clearly state the merchant is solely responsible for refunds and accepting paid value, etc.

HOWEVER, the terms also stated "We want you to be happy with your LivingSocial experience. If you have trouble redeeming your voucher for any reason, please contact us at http://help. livingsocial.com/contact_us so we can work with the Merchant to resolve your issue." When I pointed this out, they held to the same tired line, that there was nothing they could do. I was not asking for much, just to do as they promised. Both agent and her manager, MARK (call record **) refused. I will never buy LivingSocial or Groupon (who is buying Living Social) again.

A restaurant went out of business. When contacted LivingSocial they informed the voucher was null & void because they went out of business. They refused to give me back my original purchase price. Ask to talk to a manager but was told they at lunch and would call me back. Have not received that call. The voucher expires August 30, 2020.

I called Customer service after trying to get in touch with a vendor to schedule a massage who doesn't answer. This was purchased as a gift for me. LivingSocial refused to refund it unless the purchaser calls and requests a refund. So on top of wasting my time on the phone with this merchant, I now wasted on the phone with Living Social. I should have to put the burden of this onto the person who tried to purchase me a gift. EXTREMELY dissatisfied that they simply won't apply the credit to this person's account. I am done using this service.

LivingSocial stole $10 from me today. Groupon would never do such unethical business or customer practices. You sold me a voucher for $10 movie tickets and now the movie theater won't accept LivingSocial any longer and you won't even give me a credit for the original $10 I paid you... so I get nothing? Your terms say that the original paid value doesn't expire. I had to call you 3 times to get anyone to even talk to me about it - first Mark then Pinky then another Mark. My case # is ** and I will keep posting this until someone makes it right. LivingSocial shouldn't be able to just keep my money and not even give me a credit (not cash, not the voucher deal) for my original $10. #LivingSocialscams

I purchased four tickets for a 5K run on January 28, 2017 in Las Vegas Ultimate Wine Run. I went on Las Vegas Ultimate Wine Run web page a week before the race to check on last minute details, it did not show the January run but instead they were advertising a September 2017 run. I contacted the parks department where and they informed me that the event had been changed to September. I immediately contacted LivingSocial and informed them of the change and requested a full refund, they agreed on my request. I waited a few days and they did not return my calls even after I had been assured by the customer service representatives that I would receive a refund.

I called again the Friday before the race because no one had called me back and I just wanted to make sure they were working on my refund. (I also checked the Livingsocial webpage to see if they had taken down the offer and they had not. So even after I informed them that the event was cancelled they continued to sell tickets to an event that they knew would not take place.) It is February 22, 2017 and I have yet to hear from LivingSocial. I have contacted my credit card company and placed a complaint against them. LivingSocial social is a scam, BEWARE.

I tried to make an appointment, as required, with the vendor of this coupon. She never answered the phone, nor did she return any messages. I informed LivingSocial of the problem. They called her and she answered. So they said they would not refund. This was when the coupon was originally offered. I checked with the coupon, this week, two years later, as the coupon's value is set to expire in October. The Vendor is out of business. I contacted LivingSocial because the coupon does not expire until October 2017. They will not honor the coupon value, though in Michigan the coupon value never expires for the price paid. NEVER. It's a LAW.

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

What consumers say

Like Groupon, LivingSocial may have its problems but we don’t hear about them. Is this a good sign? Probably so, but as with anything new, you should proceed cautiously until you understand how the system works.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.
  • Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.
  • Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.
  • Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.
  • Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.
  • Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.
  • Best for Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses