1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

248 LivingSocial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought a cleaning service offer. The person never returned my phone calls. I canceled and received credit. Slowly I was trying to use up the credit. Let’s be honest, the deals are all crappy. All of a sudden the money is gone. Customer service says I didn’t read the fine print. They stole my money.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I received an email from Living Social that contained an ad for purchase of an Apple iPad 4, either a 16 or 32gb that was a scratch and dent model. I ordered it. Today, when I received the email confirming my order was about to ship, it showed the product was used! I called Customer Service and eventually was transferred to a supervisor. I told her the ad was dishonest. She apologized, but refused to cancel my order. Stated their policy is order must be canceled in 2 hours! She refused to let me to speak to a manager at a higher level and told me all she could do was give me an address to write!

The product will be shipped to me. I must return it to the post office to return to them and it will take them 2-3 weeks to verify I have a right to return the product. Then, I should receive an email saying return was accepted. After another few days, the money should be returned to my card. All this because this company deceptively led me to purchase a used or refurbished product. Texas has Deceptive Trade Practice Laws against such activity!!! Don't buy anything from this company! Wow!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I ordered a "cleaning" for my apt. The deal was $59.00 for what is normally a $120.00 job. This is the way all LivingSocial/Groupon deals work. When I tried to redeem my voucher, the cost was about 4 times more; even much more than the $120.00. This is a total ripoff!!! When I requested a refund of my $59.00 they told me there was a 3 day refund policy... is this true even if their ad is dishonest??? Sabastian at Living Social referred me to the bottom of the page which he claims, on the first line or so, refers to the fact that the $59.00 is really a "partial payment". If that is true, and reading the portion I was referred does not exactly say that, it should be made very clear on the voucher not in a paragraph under it. There should be a SCAM alert on Living Social and Groupon!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

A few weeks ago, I bought a voucher for a CHL class for my husband and gifted it to him. The deal looked pretty good. The hours for the business said Monday through Friday. My husband could do those days. When we went to redeem the voucher, however, the ONLY class available was on Saturday, when we are not available. We tried contacting the business to see if there was a different day available that wasn't on the website. Couldn't get a hold of them by either email offered or their phone number. I went to get a refund but guess what. LivingSocial's refund policy is you're only given 3 DAYS to get a refund.

I requested customer service assistance, and they only offered online chat. In the online chat, I told the guy, "I can't get a hold of this business by email or phone," and he responded, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact the business." I was like, "Are you even a real person? I very clearly said I CANNOT CONTACT THIS BUSINESS." He just answered with something generic. I swear he was a bot.

Then when I called the corporate office, the lady on the phone was like, "I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do. Did you check the website? Their days of operation are Monday through Friday." I told her that was clearly inaccurate, because the only day the class in question was offered was on Saturday, and I kept trying to explain to her and she just kept saying, "I'm sorry. I don't understand. Their days of operation are Monday through Friday," and I was finally like, "Are you even listening to me???" She never did get it. So pretty much, I've wasted my money. If I ever buy from this place again, I'm going to make sure I can contact the business ahead of time. No more trusting that all the information is upfront. And don't bother with customer service. They're worthless.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have purchased several vouchers from LivingSocial. Some are good deals but more frequently the purchase is with a company that is no longer (or never was?) in business or will simply not call back to schedule service. If you call LivingSocial customer service you are offered a credit instead of a refund. I see this as unsatisfactory resolution since it was their lack of diligence up front that caused this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I communicated with customer service about 5 LONG SLEEVE shirts I received and were prone to shrink after just one wash/dry cycle. I asked to return all 5 shirts after realizing they would be prone to shrink. I was told that since I had purchased them on July 20, 2018 (and today was Sept 11, 2018) that I had exceeded their 30 day return policy. I told them this had nothing to do with "when" I received them but that it was clearly a problem with the way the shirt held up after just one washing; i.e. it is clearly a manufacturer's defect issue. I had washed just one shirt one time and it shrank in length a full 2 inches. I am stuck with LIVINGSOCIAL'S shrinking shirts and their funky rules on what appears to be a NO return policy for manufacturer's defects!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I moved out of an City and State before I was able to use several vouchers. Living Social refused to refund the vouchers. When I chatted online their only response was sorry... Really, they are sorry for ripping me off. This website is a scam. Never purchase anything from these people ever again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I'm concerned about the security of my payment information due to what I was told by one of their customer service reps today. I attempted to purchase a Sam's Club membership using my PayPal account. My PayPal account is linked to my bank account. I received a confirmation email, but when I attempted to follow the directions to redeem my membership, the voucher didn't have a redemption code. I just spoke to somebody at LivingSocial called Yenci via the website. Yenci kept asking for my banking information, & I kept telling Yanci that I use PayPal as a security measure, so that I can protect myself against fraudulent use. I don't think Yenci understood what PayPal is, or possibly didn't care about account security issues & that people like to use PayPal as a means to prevent fraudulent use. Yenci wanted me to give a card or account #.

PayPal doesn't work that way, & if I wanted to give my banking information out I would've done that in the first place rather than using PayPal. It felt a little bit like I was being scammed. I asked if there was a phone number I could call for assistance & was told that there is no phone number. I asked Yenci if they understood how PayPal works, & all Yenci said was "I'm sorry, but I can't help you with this issue if you refuse to give account information". Supposedly my order was cancelled due to security concerns, I was told that I could attempt to order again, but could not be assured that it would be processed. My MAIN concern is that I don't get charged twice for this if I do attempt to order again. Very, very, very poor customer service!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I booked 8/4 Ramada hotel through LivingSocial. When I arrived to hotel, hotel said that they did not receive any information and no room is available. Basically, LivingSocial took my money and did not do anything. I strongly believe this is a fraud. LivingSocial has three options to contact them. Email, live chat, callback request. Callback request is not available. So I started live chat. After all my explanation, live chat says internal team will try to help and escalate the issue and ended without my response. I tried to use the live link again, but the link became unavailable. Wow. Real high technology. Obviously, I as well as hotel did not hear anything from LivingSocial. Please advise what I need to do. LivingSocial left my family on the street and ruined the family vacation.

Original review: July 16, 2018

There is a reason why L.S. is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. They are terrible. I have had more than one issue with them, the last just a newspaper subscription which stated that when I checked out with my address etc, that was all that was necessary. Obviously not, because a week later I received an email that my voucher had expired but I could use the money ONLY at the merchant for whom it was originally purchased. And purchase a subscription for considerably more. The Orlando Sentinel stated they had no record of my purchase and referred me to L.S.... L.S. stated that it was a third member purchase so I had to get my money from the Orlando Sentinel. Back and forth and back again, to no avail. I think it was a scam. Although it was a minimal amount, hundreds of purchases gave someone somewhere a tidy sum and a good laugh on our account. I will never buy from Living Social again, and neither should you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Stay away! If you get a deal and are unable to use it, after it's been 3 days, you cannot get a refund no matter what! They don't care if you bought a deal if it's out of state and you are unable to use the deal. They will say well I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but per policy after it's been 3 days since the purchase we are unable to issue a refund. The only exception is if the business is closed. If you get a deal and the merchant refuses to honor it, they don't care. You are out of your money. Boycott this company and don't use them. Use Groupon instead.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased a Blackstone Pizza Oven several weeks ago from LivingSocial. When I put it together I noticed that the turntable was warped. I tried using it but the pizza was burned on one side and raw on the other. I went to the LivingSocial website to see what they could do but I was told that they were not responsible and I could not return it. I was to call Blackstone. I have email Blackstone several times and called their customer service. I was even given the name Whitney to call which I did. She never called back. At this point I cannot see myself ever doing business with either LivingSocial or Blackstone.

Original review: June 26, 2018

When I called the carpet cleaning company to schedule an appointment, I was told I didn't live within 20 miles of their zip code and they refused to provide service. I emailed LivingSocial in hopes of discussing the situation, but never received a reply. After a great deal of effort I found LivingSocial's phone number, called, was placed on hold for a long period and eventually given the same explanation. I asked for the address of the carpet cleaning company so I could check the distance for myself, but was told they didn't have the company's address.

I asked to speak with the supervisor, was placed on hold for another long period and eventually told she was on another call. I left my cell number and asked for a return call, which I am still waiting for. I have canceled my LivingSocial account and unsubscribed to future email communications. It seems odd that they would rather lose a long time customer than give a $32 refund for service that was never provided. It also seems odd that they don't screen the providers very well. The company was very unprofessional when I contacted them. Unfortunately, scam is the only way to describe my experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought a hosepipe using a LivingSocial voucher and it was not fit for purpose. They say it is nothing to do with them and I have to liaise through the supplier called Groundlevel... Groundlevel deny any responsibility and want me to pay to send it back to the manufacturer. All a total waste of time and money. So I will never buy from either Groundlevel or LivingSocial again... Will make my life a lot less stressful.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a deal titled "Lunchbox Laboratory - Bellevue." Turns out, the deal was not for the restaurant's Bellevue location. It was for either of two more distant locations. LivingSocial's customer service agent would do nothing put point to the deal's fine print, which specified the other two locations. Legally correct, ethically terrible. The deal was deceptively titled. If the title had not included the city, I would have scrutinized the fine print more carefully. But it did, setting the expectation that the deal was for the Bellevue location. I'm cancelling our LivingSocial account and advise anyone who continues to use them to read the fine print very carefully and watch out for deceptive descriptions.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Ordered a Rattan set, was due today, heard nothing so emailed supplier and LivingSocial. No reply from supplier, Living send reply saying, "Track your order," doesn't work. Call them and they take absolutely no responsibility but will email supplier, who we know don't reply. They don't even take responsibility for the email they send that doesn't work. They won't call them but offer me a phone number that I call. Wait 9 minutes and am then cut off. I am now on phone again to LivingSocial in a queue yet again. This lady is far more helpful and offering to get hold of them. She has managed to get them, they say I didn't select a delivery date, but there wasn't an option, I am now due to get item Friday? Maybe I will be impressed on Friday.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I purchased 5 tickets to go to a show with my family. After I purchase the tickets I received an email saying they would be ready in an hour. I spoke with someone after I tried over and over to print the voucher. I was then told that I could print the tickets 24 to 48 hours before the show... WOW! They didn't wait 24 to 48 hours to charge my credit card. That's not fair. LivingSocial is a BIG JOKE!!! I WILL NEVER, NEVER use this site again and don't recommend it to the DEVIL!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely the worst gift given (Entertainment - Ultimate Date Night). It was so confusing. You have to purchase ** to get your restaurant part. Is WAS A GIFT!!! I shouldn't buy anything. I shouldn't be confused. This site is horrible and money sucking. If you EVER get this as a bonus - quit. It is an insulting POS! ✌#wetried #yousuck.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I ordered a dash cam on the 7th March. Still not received it, it's now the 6th April. Was told I would receive it by 14 March. Have been in touch with them and told it would be with me on the 21st March. Still not arrived Have been back in touch with them and told to get in touch with Gilded Olive myself, I feel this is just passing the buck on to someone else. What can I do to move them on.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a deal for Tacos Guaymas in Seattle. When I arrived the manager told me they were not honoring the coupons because LivingSocial had added the location without their permission. I would not have traveled so far to this restaurant without the deal I purchased. I was unable to use it. I contacted LivingSocial for an explanation as I questioned the integrity of their business. No matter how many attempts I made they offered no explanation so I've assumed what the restaurant told me is accurate. They had stated that they made several attempts to contact LivingSocial with no response. Due to LivingSocial's lack of care & response for details, etc. I've decided what the restaurant told me is accurate. To this day I still have not heard from them. They did credit my money for the deal purchase; however, I will not purchase from them again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I have purchased several services from Living Social/Groupon. They allow companies to make up crazy rules in fine print that make it almost impossible to use the discount and won't give you your money back. For instance, you purchase a massage, you call to make the appointment and the hours of the company is from 10-4 Monday-Friday only. If you work, how can you do that. Or like the carpet cleaners who in small print charge $10 for hallways even though you paid for 7 areas and only used 5. Do yourself a favor and save your money. It's simply an avenue for small companies to scam you.

Original review: March 9, 2018

First, I purchased a Cornhole game for $169.00 and after three months, the wood started separating. They say they have free returns but only if you send it back in a set time frame. They don’t care that the product was damaged as long as they get their money. Also, the order number below was for some calendars I bought. I called several times for help and also did several chats but no one could help. My voucher expired today because the site was impossible to maneuver and the voucher wouldn’t load. Who cares if I get face value for the voucher. It is completely worthless and again, they get their money. WHAT A SHAM!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a drone along with a 2 year warranty from LivingSocial.com. The drone stopped running and I sent my information along with an email confirmation regarding the purchase to the warranty company. The warranty company rejected the email confirmation and I contacted Livingsocial to get a copy of the invoice. I have been dealing with them for weeks and no one can provide an invoice for the purchase. I believe that they are trying to make it so difficult that I will give up. I wish I would have read review on this company before I purchased anything from them. I will never purchase anything from them again. Please beware that this company is a joke. Don't waste your time or money on them!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

LivingSocial has a 3-day refund policy. Unfortunately, you can't find it anywhere on their website except deep in their Terms of Service. I will never buy from these guys again. They chose to make like $20 vs. keeping a customer. So now all of the businesses they "represent" will not get any visibility from me and anyone in my network if I can help it!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I bought two vacation vouchers from LivingSocial in the UK and paid $435 dollars. After going to their, "merchant's" website Crystal Travel the vouchers wouldn't work. I immediately contacted their customer service to which they replied saying they couldn't give me a refund and now they are ignoring my emails.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased a $20 Stockpile voucher which didn't go through, and since it's final sale, LivingSocial won't do any. When clicking the redeem online from LivingSocial, it suppose to provide promotion code to the stockpile website which I couldn't see. After setting up account in Stockpile and provided SSN, the voucher doesn't work. From Stockpile, they can't see any, so I paid for nothing. Not only that, my personal information including SSN was collected for nothing. I really hope this is not a scam.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Purchased a Sam's Club membership from LivingSocial, the redemption code they provided has never worked. I've spent countless hours calling, they promise to "escalate" the problem, then I never hear from them. Just called customer service, you have to do some sleuthing, they don't provide a number on their website. I spoke with someone who barely speaks English (India) and supposedly my case is being "escalated" again, this time for a refund. We'll see. I've spent more time trying to deal with this than the value of my voucher, what a waste of time.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Called and emailed Living Social in regards 2 voucher that I purchased for electrolysis. The company Nios is saying that they cannot honor the voucher since I have been there over 1 year ago and it is for new clients only. (1) Why does Living Social takes customer money when they know that the voucher will never work.(2) Living Social fine print on their website states that NEVER TO WORRY the paid value with merchant does not expire. Their customer service is telling me that they cannot issue my refund of $110.00 or give me a Living Social credit. This company is so disreputable and I don't know how they haven't been shut down yet and the people behind this company not in jail yet???

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased brow microblading, made an appointment, and went to the establishment. The technician refused service because I had previous brow tattoos, and he didn't think the result would be attractive. I wanted the service yet it was denied. LivingSocial has the responsibility to provide a refund since LivingSocial is acting as the fiduciary agent of the brow company. Customer Service needs to support the customer. I will NEVER buy another LivingSocial product. Although it may look like a good deal, it is not an honorable company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Bought a spa day voucher as a Xmas present for a friend, stated on purchase the experience needed to be booked in next 12 months, but then following email gave only 10 days to book. Requested a new code but told nothing can be done, nothing but thieves.

LivingSocial expert review by Erin Huffstetler

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.

• Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.

• Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.

• Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.

• Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.

• Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.

• Best for: Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

LivingSocial Company Information