LivingSocial

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid for a gift (to myself) for a photo blanket. No big deal but I did want it. I tried to redeem the certificate emailed to me on several occasions but the "url" would not work. I wrote to the company, they asked for proof of my purchase. I sent them the confirmation, as well as my credit card statement. I next received an email saying my purchase was going to expire soon and I must redeem. Once again, the "url" did not work. I again wrote to the company. I also attached the latest email to my first complaint. Have not heard back. A scam for sure. Be warned.

First off all, why would such a "reputable" company such as LivingSocial have a private number for customer service ** registered to Dr. Sacha **? Anyway, I have a voucher from Trojan promotions for $25 off any LivingSocial purchase expiring July 31st 2017. LivingSocial won’t accept the code, and their joke of a customer service department can’t help me but instead offer 15% off. I’m afraid with the merger of Groupon and LivingSocial, we’ll end up with a conglomerate of liars and fraudsters. I’m now afraid of buying anything not only from LivingSocial, but Groupon.

I purchased 2 coupons from LivingSocial which were supposed to be valid at Staples for shredding services, after 19 days of fighting with LivingSocial customer service and tech support, and Staples store and corporate staff, after 4 visits to the local Staples store, 2 phone calls to Staples corporate, countless hours on hold and on the phone with LivingSocial customer service and many false promises from LivingSocial customer service and tech support, they have finally worn me down, I just give up. Staples will not honor the coupons and I even had the store manager call their corporate office with me standing there, that still failed.

I am very frustrated and angry about how LivingSocial can sell something that is clearly a scam then they lead you on promising to make it work maybe hoping that you will give up or that the value of the coupon will expire. The support staff in LivingSocial is in the Philippines and they NEVER let you talk to a supervisor, if you ask for a supervisor they give you many excuses hoping to wear you down then they put you on a 28 minute hold and then they eventually just hang up on you. DO NOT BUY from this company!!! Here is the proof LivingSocial Ticket # ** so anyone can verify my ordeal. Vouchers number 1: **voucher # 2: **.

I purchased a carpet cleaning from Mr. Extreme Clean. Shortly after the purchase I contacted Mr. Extreme Clean to set up the appointment. The guy that answered the phone had no business etiquette and I was a little apprehensive but I set up an appointment anyway to have my carpets cleaned. He gave me a window between 900 am and 11:00 am. Well Mr. Extreme Clean never showed or called to reschedule. My husband and I both took time off from work for this service. I was so frustrated. I immediately contacted LS for a refund. They said it would be processed but I could only get a credit/voucher since it was beyond the seven day window. I didn't like it but I read their refund policy and had to deal with that. I figured once I got the credit and used it on something else, I would close out my account with LS and be done with them.

Well, about two days later I received an email telling me my coupon had been redeemed. What? I contact LS again and was told to tell them that the coupon had not been redeemed and I wanted a refund of my purchase and I was told that this was their process to show the coupon was redeemed when the refund is being processed. It sounded ridiculous and suspicious to me and I think the whole thing is a scam. I am still waiting for my refund. LS obviously does not screen their businesses so I will never do business with them again.

Buyer Beware. Keep your money in your pocked and don't trust LS. Also LS is supposedly based in Washington so why does their automated message about customer service times say Central Standard Time. Last I checked Washington DC is in the East Coast. Scam Scam Scam. Don't trust them. They don't care about customer service, they only want your money and will not give you a refund. I am thinking about taking them to court just for the principle.

I purchased a voucher for a wine and paint class in my area. Immediately after the purchase, I went on the wine and paint website to book the class, there were none scheduled in my area. I went back to the LivingSocial website and clicked on refund. I expected the money to be refunded through PayPal back to my bank account and today I see I am given credit on the LivingSocial website. I'm glad it was only $42 and not a trip I was planning to book. No credibility here, I wouldn't advise use this website to purchase anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LivingSocial?

Three days ago I got an email saying my credit card’s not working for a steak dinner which I never ordered. I called LivingSocial to tell them and I was told they will credit my account. I mentioned that I never asked for this and I said oh doesn't matter will just credit your account and they did tell me that there is a system flaw. Today two days later I got another email from LivingSocial that my credit card was not working for the same unrequested dinner. I asked for a manager from their Philippine staff and was hung up on.

I hired steam cleaner who never showed up; received "deal bucks" instead of reimbursement. Used these "deal bucks" and additional funds to hire window cleaner. Window cleaner tells me he does not serve my area. Again, I am offered "deal bucks". I call their customer service and request to get money back instead of deal buck. Get disconnected and don't receive a call back as promised. Call again and when I state my request, get disconnected right away. How can a company just take my money and keep it at their pleasure without providing the promised service?

We purchased a deal last year and failed to use it before the promotional period. I tried calling for a refund on the paid value (which expires 4/2/2021 based on the "fine print") and the business had gone out of business. A subsequent call to LivingSocial with my problem was incredibly frustrating. They kept pointing me to a website that didn't exist and repeating "fine print" that was different than my voucher. From my perspective my financial transaction was with LivingSocial and they failed to meet their contractual agreement. Buyer beware.

Cosmetic & Vascular Suite NYC. Three at $425 - NEVER NEVER buy one of their "Deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again. THEIR POLICY IS TO NEVER REFUND YOU AFTER YOUR PURCHASE EXPIRES OR TO GIVE YOU THE VALUE YOU PAID. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a cosmetic procedure as a gift. My boyfriend is a police officer in the general division and works long hours and the night shift. It is difficult to get an appointment when you live in NJ and you work all crazy hours.

The remedy the doctor came up with was to use his knee machine and charge me the difference from what I paid to what his new machine cost. To me this is bait and switch. Fine, but I still want my original $425 I paid. My paid value clearly states it expires in 2023. I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: Don't waste your money with LivingSocial. So now I am out of $425. I recommend not going to the doctor as he should honor the voucher and don't buy from LivingSocial. GO TO GROUPON. THEY ARE FAIR!!!

With the LivingSocial app I purchased a voucher for district entertainment recording studio for the engineering component in actuality approaches to which they did under the recording single but they have not honored the engineering. I contacted LivingSocial. They said that the voucher is good for five years. The voucher was originally purchased on May 2nd 2013. But upon reviewing the voucher information it says it is expired and the voucher has still not been honored. I did request a refund shortly after purchasing the voucher when I realized that the recording studio was not responding effectively. LivingSocial said that the voucher was good for five years.

LivingSocial still sells a "Drunk History Tour" in the Seattle area despite the fact that this tour no longer exists. There was no way for me to request a refund from my account and LivingSocial prefers to not list any contact information anywhere to complain about such things. With no way to redeem the cost, the voucher expired. I will never purchase from them again. They should be reported as a scam company. They also sent me a promotional email with no way to unsubscribe from it, so I blocked them immediately.

My recommendation is to never buy one of their "deals". Once your money is in their hands, you will never see it again and their policy is such that they probably won't even refund you. Customer service is extremely poor, so don't expect any remedy to be made on their end. Basically, I purchased a voucher for a restaurant I wanted to try. Restaurant is difficult to get a reservation at; promotional value expires. Fine, but I still want my original $20 I paid. Except now this restaurant is out of business. So I cannot go there, and even though my paid value clearly states it expires in 2019 I now have no way of redeeming this. Customer service said they apologize but did nothing. So take my beginning advice: don't waste your money with LivingSocial.

I had a company go out of business and the paid promotional says it does not expire until 2019. When I called they said there was nothing they could do and the money is just lost. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. I have over $100 in vouchers that say the value never expires and I no longer trust this company.

I attempted to get a refund on a service I was unable to use from LivingSocial. The coupon was not showing in my list of refundable coupons so I called where I spoke with someone I could barely understand because of her heavy accent. I requested a refund, but it was explained to me that she was powerless to provide the refund after asking about my attempt to redeem the coupon. There was nothing that could be done. I found the customer service representative was rude and most unhelpful. I will never use this web service again in the future. Their failure has led me to leave this review.

I have a couple of expired vouchers I tried to use, but when I went to the restaurant, they said management has changed, so the voucher will not be honored (even though the vouchers clearly state that paid value does not expire). They recommended I call LivingSocial to ask for help with this issue and when I did that, LivingSocial told me once a voucher is expired, it's between me and the restaurant. They can't do anything apparently! I will never buy a LivingSocial voucher again! This is terrible customer service and there is no accountability with the restaurants.

I purchased a massage voucher for my wife at an establishment I had gone to the previous year. That night the masseuse texted me asking if I would submit a refund request to LivingSocial and purchase through her website as LivingSocial takes a large percentage from her. I liked the place so I did so not knowing they would give me site credits rather than crediting my credit card back since it was the same day or within 24 hours of the original purchase. Two days later I was browsing the site and the buy now option popped up at the bottom of my iphone and I must have grazed it with my hand and it automatically began the purchasing process without allowing me to confirm the purchase so I clicked on the back arrow hoping it would prevent the transaction. Unfortunately it did not.

I called LivingSocial asking for a refund. I was told only a site credit could be issued even after explaining the situation in its entirety. I will be disputing the charges with my credit card company which appears to be my only avenue to pursue at this point as they are unwilling to process a refund even though these "purchases" happened within the last few days and no services/benefits were rendered. Groupon would never conduct business this way nor would any respectful company. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to get ripped off.

Small dollars, but still money. They say the paid portion of your voucher never expires. I understand and accept that the promotional value does expire. I tried to use an expired voucher (that I paid $15 for) at a merchant that was still in business. They refused to honor it telling me LivingSocial was responsible. So I paid full price and went home to call LS. The agent told me they could not process refund because the merchant was no longer in LS program. WHAT? I drilled into their Terms and Conditions to see where they do clearly state the merchant is solely responsible for refunds and accepting paid value, etc.

HOWEVER, the terms also stated "We want you to be happy with your LivingSocial experience. If you have trouble redeeming your voucher for any reason, please contact us at http://help. livingsocial.com/contact_us so we can work with the Merchant to resolve your issue." When I pointed this out, they held to the same tired line, that there was nothing they could do. I was not asking for much, just to do as they promised. Both agent and her manager, MARK (call record **) refused. I will never buy LivingSocial or Groupon (who is buying Living Social) again.

A restaurant went out of business. When contacted LivingSocial they informed the voucher was null & void because they went out of business. They refused to give me back my original purchase price. Ask to talk to a manager but was told they at lunch and would call me back. Have not received that call. The voucher expires August 30, 2020.

I called Customer service after trying to get in touch with a vendor to schedule a massage who doesn't answer. This was purchased as a gift for me. LivingSocial refused to refund it unless the purchaser calls and requests a refund. So on top of wasting my time on the phone with this merchant, I now wasted on the phone with Living Social. I should have to put the burden of this onto the person who tried to purchase me a gift. EXTREMELY dissatisfied that they simply won't apply the credit to this person's account. I am done using this service.

LivingSocial stole $10 from me today. Groupon would never do such unethical business or customer practices. You sold me a voucher for $10 movie tickets and now the movie theater won't accept LivingSocial any longer and you won't even give me a credit for the original $10 I paid you... so I get nothing? Your terms say that the original paid value doesn't expire. I had to call you 3 times to get anyone to even talk to me about it - first Mark then Pinky then another Mark. My case # is ** and I will keep posting this until someone makes it right. LivingSocial shouldn't be able to just keep my money and not even give me a credit (not cash, not the voucher deal) for my original $10. #LivingSocialscams

I purchased four tickets for a 5K run on January 28, 2017 in Las Vegas Ultimate Wine Run. I went on Las Vegas Ultimate Wine Run web page a week before the race to check on last minute details, it did not show the January run but instead they were advertising a September 2017 run. I contacted the parks department where and they informed me that the event had been changed to September. I immediately contacted LivingSocial and informed them of the change and requested a full refund, they agreed on my request. I waited a few days and they did not return my calls even after I had been assured by the customer service representatives that I would receive a refund.

I called again the Friday before the race because no one had called me back and I just wanted to make sure they were working on my refund. (I also checked the Livingsocial webpage to see if they had taken down the offer and they had not. So even after I informed them that the event was cancelled they continued to sell tickets to an event that they knew would not take place.) It is February 22, 2017 and I have yet to hear from LivingSocial. I have contacted my credit card company and placed a complaint against them. LivingSocial social is a scam, BEWARE.

I tried to make an appointment, as required, with the vendor of this coupon. She never answered the phone, nor did she return any messages. I informed LivingSocial of the problem. They called her and she answered. So they said they would not refund. This was when the coupon was originally offered. I checked with the coupon, this week, two years later, as the coupon's value is set to expire in October. The Vendor is out of business. I contacted LivingSocial because the coupon does not expire until October 2017. They will not honor the coupon value, though in Michigan the coupon value never expires for the price paid. NEVER. It's a LAW.

I purchased a LivingSocial Deal for Howe Medical Clinic for a one month weight management program. I did see all of the horrible reviews for them, but because it was such a good deal that I thought "well it's only a month. If the reviews are true I won't go back after my month is over." Well this is what happened. My first visit they took my blood pressure and told me it was too high. This was a surprise to me because I go to my doctor regularly and they tell me it is good. The rude medical assistant then says "go sit in the lobby and wait five minutes and we can take it again." So five minutes goes by and again it is too high.

Well at that point they should have told me I was not a good candidate for their establishment and refunded my money. But instead the PA calls me into his office and takes it manually and says it is high but it is due to you being nervous and continues on and gives me the prescription for the diet pills. A week goes by I come in for my weigh in and again the rude med. asst. says my blood pressure is too high. Again waited five minutes and again too high. This time I ask "what do I do". She says "you can come in on another day" so I came in first thing the next morning and again I am told my pressure is too high.

This time I get a different PA and she tells me that since I have had two readings that are too high they cannot help me. I asked them why they accepted me in the first place and what do I need to do. She told me that they will not give me a refund but I can come in for the B12 shots. Why would I do that. I spent a lot of money for diet pills not the shot. I went to my doctor same day and was told that I do not have any history of high blood pressure. I called LivingSocial, spoke to Zeke, spend 40 minutes on the phone with him for him to tell me that LivingSocial cannot do anything about it once it is redeemed. WOW is all I can say. So stay far away from any Livingsocial deal because they do not back you up when a shady Merchant steals your money. Stay away from Howe Medical Clinic. They are very RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL and take your voucher then tell you they cannot help you.

We are new to LivingSocial. Signed up a couple days before Valentine's Day and saw a deal for the Valentines Day performance of Paramour on broadway. We were going to be in the city that afternoon for a doctor's appointment anyway, so we figured we would make a day and night of it. Bought two tickets on my wife's Amex card and printed them at home. Spent Valentines Day in the city, had dinner and enjoyed the show.

Returned home around 11:00 PM. Checked email to find a notice from American Express that our $651.00 purchase at Best Buy online at 7:30 PM on Valentines Day had been declined. Called Amex and told them we DID NOT purchase anything that day on that card, as a matter of fact, we hadn't used that card at all over the last 4 months with the exception of purchasing the Paramour tickets on Feb 13th.

Someone stole our credit card info and tried to use it at Best Buy, maybe to buy a nice new flat panel TV(?), on the night and TIME (the show started at 7:00 PM) we were watching Paramour in New York City. Coincidence? We don't know, but it sure sounds suspicious. Called Amex, reported the fraud and canceled the card.

LivingSocial will never get my money again... I purchased 3 massages on LivingSocial for a place called Day Spa Millburn last year. All 3 of my massages promotional value expired however, the paid value does not expires. I made appointment to get a massage. When I went in the lady at the front desk is going to tell me that my coupon expired and I have to pay additional $40 to get my massage because she wants me to believe that the value went up. I went back on LivingSocial website to find the exact massage for the same paid value I paid and the lady proceed to tell me she can't accept my LivingSocial voucher. When I ask the lady "If I paid for this voucher can I get my massage?" She's going to tell me that I have to reschedule for another day but if I pay them $40 now I can get my massage that day. Only because I was getting a better deal on LivingSocial with 15% off. SMDH.

When I called LivingSocial they are going to tell me they have to investigate the situation and call me back. They investigated it and never called me back but email me and said that they can't refund me back my money nor I cannot get my money in buck form. I call them back and asked to speak to the manager. The young lady said that her manager is on another call and she'll call me back. It's been a week now and I haven't heard from them.

After I put through my order and paid 99 for this Weekend Away, I came onto the next page which stated I successfully had paid for this trip and to view my voucher below which was not there. What do I do about this? I have emailed but no reply.

LivingSocial has changed hands - and their offerings are extremely limited! Due to surgery, I was unable to use my voucher for a handyman. I asked for a refund before the date of expiration. They refused to issue a credit to my credit card and instead gave a voucher. The trouble is that LivingSocial offers very few deals compared to a site like Groupon. Consequently, I'm afraid that my $56.00 will never be spent. I feel that with the change in ownership and with the downturn in their offerings (they use to be so great!), the right thing to do is to issue a credit card refund. I would never recommend LivingSocial to others. I've learned my lesson!

Under the old policy, when the "paid portion" of your LivingSocial purchase was good up until the date on which the "promotional value" expired and you could receive a full refund of your "paid portion". And AFTER the "promotional value" expired you would receive an exchange value of your "paid portion" in Deal Bucks which could be used for LivingSocial purchases.

WARNING: The NEW LivingSocial refund policy sounds the same but an actual refund is only good for 24 hours, then the application of an exchange value is only good for 7 days, and after that you do NOT get any refund, contrary to the stated "paid value never expires" advertised. Since after 7 days what you get is only a credit for services from the merchant, in the amount of the "paid portion". Since you want to cancel the deal with the merchant, what good does a credit toward service with the merchant do? It is a very deceptive refund policy. Unless you are absolutely sure you will be happy with the merchant services, do NOT count on any performance guarantee or refund from LivingSocial under their new policies. The many complaints already documented on this ConsumerAffairs site, confirm that. The photo shows receipt on the last day of the old refund policy, which changed after Nov. 21, 2016.

I placed an order on 12/16/2016. I received a shipping notice on 12/20/16 with a tracking number for each of the 2 items I ordered. I checked the tracking number a few times and noticed there was no update on the items. I finally called the DHL and they informed me they never received the items to ship. The only way to contact LivingSocial is to call the customer service number. After waiting for someone to answer, I finally got through and had to repeat myself numerous times as the person was not able to understand me. I explained the issue and his initial response was for me to call DHL about my items. I told him that I had already called and they had not received the items to deliver to me. After waiting for over 20 minutes for him to check on my inquiry, he told me that someone would contact me within 2 days.

I was not convinced, but after 40 minutes total, I had to get off the phone. Within 2 days I received a return label for the items I never received. I tried to respond to the email and of course I got a bounce back. I called once again and explained my situation yet again, and was told I would be contacted within 2 days. I have never been contacted since. I have tried Facebook, apparently they do not accept posts on Facebook, and Twitter was non-responsive. Contacting customer service again will be useless as they do not understand and attempting to talk to a manager is also impossible. How can a company thrive with customer service such as this. I have had to do more than they have and still have gotten nowhere!

I bought a voucher for $99 for tile cleaning and sealing. I booked my appointment and the company came to my home. However, I was told (and I later confirmed with a contractor) that my grout is unstable (was not set properly), so he could not clean the grout without possibly damaging my tile floors. I was told by him that I could get a full refund by LivingSocial Austin.

I did not want to get a credit with LivingSocial, as this was a service I wanted and I could not use it. I called a representative at the company to talk about what to do. I told him the circumstances and he said no problem, they would just contact the business owner to verify that they could not do the service and they would post the $99 back to my PayPal account.

Two weeks went by with no notification that the refund was sent back to PayPal. So I called again, only to be told that they cannot give me a refund - as they only refund within a 7-day period. I repeated to her what the circumstances were and that I didn't see how they could keep the money in their own credit, when I was not able to get the service I paid for through no fault of my own.

The representative basically that I could "Just buy something else on LivingSocial as they have lots of options to choose." I said I already have a couple of credits of things I did cancel myself that I have never used. I am not a shopper and spender and I want the money returned to PayPal. She continued to tell me the same thing and would not allow me to speak to someone in charge above her. She said that is their rule and they are sticking to it, no exceptions, even though I was told just the opposite two weeks before by another representative of their company, and also the company that came to my house that was unable to do the service I bought and paid for.

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

Based in Washington D.C, LivingSocial specializes in local deals. You’ll find vouchers for food, family outings, special events and travel. The site also includes a small shop with limited-time offers for merchandise and online stores.

What consumers say

Like Groupon, LivingSocial may have its problems but we don’t hear about them. Is this a good sign? Probably so, but as with anything new, you should proceed cautiously until you understand how the system works.

• Accessible customer support: Both email and phone support are available.
  • Clean interface: The navigation is simple and intuitive, and the site is devoid of unnecessary clutter.
  • Expiration notifications: You can request e-mail notifications when a voucher is about to expire.
  • Vouchers retain value: If a voucher expires before you get to use it, you can still redeem it for the purchase price.
  • Refunds: Refunds are available on some, but not all vouchers; and the refund terms vary from deal to deal.
  • Return fee: Unused shop items can be returned within 14 days of delivery, but you’ll have to pay a $7.99 returns-processing fee.
  • Best for Bargain Shoppers, one-time users, occasional users, businesses