1.09/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Hughes Network Systems

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

2295 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Today 10-14-2017 my daughter went to the store to buy groceries and my card declined. I freaked. I had saved money on my card for Christmas gifts and food and bills and now I could not buy groceries for tonight. I ran home and looked at my bank account and found out they took $606.53 out of my account w/o my approval. I had cancelled with them in August because they had told me that with 20gb I could have Netflix going and get on my grand daughter's laptop. Pshh. That was a lie and we had called them twice complaining that we could not watch Netflix or use internet and our phone was breaking in and out with every call and when I brought it to their attention the lady who spoke a language hard to understand told me she could not help me with that and then had the nerve to tell me that my autistic grandson shouldn't watch so much Netflix.

Then ummm really then she said, "Is there anything else that I can help with?" "Um you never helped with the last thing." So I cancelled and went with Cable One (awesome company by the way and way cheaper) and Hughes Net when we told them to cancel our services said that we need to pay for backing out of our contract - they ruined it from not following through on their side.

Today I called cause I didn't authorize for them to take out any money and the guy was very rude and said, "Well we will put it back in 5-7 days if you come back to us" and tried bribing me and then said 10-20 days it would be put in my account if I came back. Finally I told him I had enough and told him I'm going to call a lawyer. He also got crappy with my daughter when she said she liked Cable One because it was cheaper and it works and he said, "Well cheaper isn't my problem". My daughter has learning disabilities and PTSD so now don't have the money for her doctors and my grandsons doctors because of them until next month and we had a letter stating that I had 7 days to resolve from 10-13-2017 and the guy said it wasn't his problem. They stole from me and I want my money back. Whether it goes on my credit I don't care. They are crooked. Please do not go through this company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been with HughesNet for about 3 months now. I live in the country and actually believed their line of BS about high speeds and dependability. It's been a horror story from day one. I have upgraded every conceivable thing to make it work better (or work at all really), I spent the first 4 weeks on the phone with Customer Service every single day. (Yes, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.) I pay for the biggest data package "Huge Lie Net" sells, bought a new FireTV box, new cables and a new TV. I turn off my computer before trying to watch. I even turn my cell phone off so that neither of those devices are "sharing" data that my TV apparently needs in order to get any sort of picture that is not 80% pixelated. It freezes. It stalls. It shuts down and asks if I want to "watch later" because my "speed is not high enough" to function. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.

I have subscribed to NetFlix and Hulu and can't use either. I routinely have speeds under 1Mbps, (by two different speed test providers), even when I have plenty of "data" in my HughesNet account. To say they offer 25Mbps is nothing short of an outright lie... or maybe I should say they "offer" it, they just don't actually deliver on even half of that promise. I literally cannot watch television during any "prime time" hours, and 1/2 hour shows take up to an hour to watch because they stall every few seconds. No lie, no exaggeration. I've timed it many times. This is THE worst service I have ever paid a ton of money to have, and the customer service, most of whom do not speak good English and who cannot understand idiomatic English at all, offer no help, and no way to improve it other than to buy a bigger package (I already have the biggest they offer).

Unfortunately I signed up for the 2 year plan, so I'm completely stuck, because dropping it means paying a huge fee. I wish that I have found this review site before I ever signed up for HughesNet, because now, after spending about $500.00 on new equipment they advised that I buy to "improve my viewing experience" and the fees associated with their complete crap service, I finally bought a $26.00 long range antenna, and watch broadcast TV, complete with endless commercials and no real selection, if I want to watch Television without wanting to commit Hari-Kari after 5 minutes of buffering and stalling. I loathe HughesNet, and I would not recommend that anyone subscribe to it for ANY reason. Save time and money and get a DVD player and a subscription service that delivers DVDs to your home.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I moved to SC in March this year. As a cable provider we had DirecTV and the only internet provider was HughesNet. No other choice. The worst company in the world... my Gen 5 speed was 2.4 mbps at its fastest for $74/month. I've never paid so much money for internet in my whole life yet alone for not providing... Their own employees said that I should change provider because they are not good... After 6 months of back and forth and tons of speed tests later I switched to a better company and I finally have great internet speed. Don't use HughesNet if you have another choice!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Once again Hughes Network has cost me money. After reviewing my bill online, which said did on 18 of month, they tried to deduct more money out of my account. On the 8th of this month. I was never told that I would have to enroll in auto pay. Just said when I asked why they needed my debit card, that it needed to be on file, They lied and are misleading people.

Last month they apologized for giving me the wrong info when I asked about how much I had to pay to have it hooked up. They deducted money from my account the very next day. Can we get done help with these people? I can't deal with them and they h we r day. The reps never speak English. So you have to be very careful. They'll tell you anything to get the business. They then proceed to lie. We used 75 percent of our phone plan data In a couple days. If we're hooked to wifi, why are we getting a data usage warning? I told them to remove my bank card no from my Huges Network account Immediately. I don't know what to do now. Afraid of what surprise is next.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had Hughes Net installed on the 9th, called back on the 12th since I had about 5 minutes of internet since it was installed. They said they could not disconnect until I called a number and spoke to them first. This went on for 30 days so that the contract would be set - then they wanted $400 to disconnect - scam! It was installed in June - it is now October and we've had about a total of 2 weeks of accessible internet. Please, please research internet in your area and find a local service for the ones in rural areas. Hughes has horrible customer service, horrible internet service, and they scam their customers in order to get the $400 disconnect fee. Truly pathetic that this is how they choose to do business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had the opportunity to work from home, but my employer required upload speed of 1 Megabyte or more. My provider at the time could not guarantee that, and my only option was satellite. I contacted HughesNet because they were the only provider in my area. I was told that I could have upload of 3 Megabytes with no problem. After moving all my equipment home, I found the speeds were not even 1MB, and after several frustrating calls, no resolution. My employer was having the same issues reported by over 30 employees that had gone with this provider. We do not all live in the same area, so it isn't environmental interference. Finally, I was told I could not continue with the current situation, and would need to return to the office, a 45-minute drive away.

I no longer wanted anything to do with the poor customer service and empty promises from HughesNet, and after reading the reviews from other former customers, I knew they would attempt to charge a termination fee. I took steps to protect myself from electronic withdrawal from my bank, and let them know I would pay only for the monthly charges prior to my cancellation, and nothing more. I was told by the person in customer service that they would ruin my credit if I didn't pay the fee, and in addition would charge me for the equipment, even though I asked how to return it.

Several times during the conversation I asked for a manager to call me, and was told that the message would be the same, and they would not escalate my call in any way. I am prepared, as are my coworkers to seek legal counsel against this company. Horrible service paired with unprofessional, outsourced employees who did not listen to anything being reported. They will not get one extra cent from me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

When I got Hughesnet a few months ago it never lived up to its billing. First week was out of data, added more then next month still speed issues. Called was hung up on called back same thing. So I changed plan to a higher plan 2 weeks later out again. Gave up on calling as felt they don’t care. Changed to a higher plan now I’m at 30gb for 129.00 month. Fed up with service so I called today 10/10/17 to find out I have a voice service which I never asked for. Told them to cancel that was told would be 170 to cancel. I told him I didn’t ask for that and never used said, “Let me look.”

Comes back and says valid charge asked for supervisor waited awhile as I had already been. Tran from first rep said look and see who could take the call Hughesnet lies and scam people I have filed a FCC complaint and a BBB complaint. I want out of my contact as they have broken the contract by not providing high speed as promised. I did have the tech out twice in the first 2 weeks but it never got better.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I do not know how anyone working for this horrible company can sleep at night. They lie and cheat their customers and deceive people into joining them. I signed up, had no idea nor was it ever discussed about any contract. I called multiple times from day 1 regarding my bill as every time I turned around they were hitting my bank account anywhere from $1 to $98 throughout the month. I called them repeatedly to take my checking info off of their computers and DO NOT SAVE MY PERSONAL DATA. This went on for 6 months. I finally called them up and said, "I have had enough". I am terminating my service with you and please send me a box to return you JUNK in. Your customer service is horrible and your ethics are in the toilet.

The next day they hit my account for $370 and then the day after they hit my account for $88.70. I came uncorked, I called my bank's fraud department and made a claim of them taking money out that was not ever agreed upon as well as Hughes Net not having the authorization to deduct from my checking. I was refunded the money by my bank and washed my hands of this pathetic POS of a company. I only gave them a star (1) star as you cannot proceed without giving some flavor of a star.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We decided to bite the bullet to finally try HughesNet for at least the 30 days – we knew about the poor reviews and general shady reputation they had, but living in the middle of nowhere where your fastest available ISP only provides 1.5mbps makes you desperate. Luckily, we went in properly skeptical, because now we’ll be able to get out in time before they loop us into a 2 year contract – I’d suggest the same to anyone else wanting to try it, and watch carefully to revoke your service before that 29th day mark hits if you get trapped with the same crappy service we’ve gotten.

The highest speed we’ve hit is about 9.7mbps, not even half of the advertised 25mbps, and $60 a month for 9mbps and only 10GB of data is utterly criminal. Service will drop when it gets even a little bit overcast, and it really seems to struggle with any multitasking. If you’re an online gamer, avoid it at all costs – even at 9mbps, which normally would be acceptable for online gaming (I’ve done online gaming with 6mbps with only some lag, honestly), due to it being satellite, ping hits 400-600ms on average, occasionally topping out at 800-1000ms.

I’d rather suffer 1.5mbps than this inconsistent, FAR overpriced junk ISP. At least the 1.5mbps rarely drops, actually gives you what they advertised, and you don’t have to paranoidly close/disable everything to ensure data doesn’t tick away slowly if you happen to step away for a couple hours. Take it from someone in the middle of nowhere and who is INCREDIBLY desperate for any better net – it’s not worth it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

GEN 5 - I signed up with this worthless Company and it’s the biggest mistake of my life. First they promise 20 Gig is most popular and great for a small family. LIE, then When you call in after 20 days free they tell you to unplug it to save data. Well I have DirecTV and only have two iPhones and it sucked my DATA out in two weeks. Now they won't return my calls or answer me. I have instructed my Bank not to let them Auto deduct money till they remove this crap from my home. They put the dish on my roof with Lag bolts and holes in my Vinyl Siding. They said I signed off, Yes because the Tech was as friendly as a Shoe and couldn't answer my questions. I also gave them a one Star on the survey.

Now I have to fight a Company I have written six times and was told each time a Supervisor would call in 24 hrs. Never happened. I wrote BBB and Consumer Affairs and next will be FCC before I go to my Atty. That will happen when they try and take 119.00 from my Acct. and cant. If I were looking for Internet Service this would may be ok on Mount Everest but down here I would shop around. Their Tech Support is in India and you can’t understand them, No pun intended. So as a Consumer who has made six documented attempts to correct this issue and have it removed without resolve I give them -10 and a HUGE Red Flag!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Not only did Hughesnet deceive us from the beginning of signing up, we didn't know it was a 2-year contract until after we got it, but the service was terrible in that every time and I mean every time it rains even a little bit, the internet goes out. Customer service was very rude and just didn't care about your problem at all, not to mention you can't understand them. The data cap was so bad it burned up in 1 week with regular use and we could not have Netflix or Hulu because the data would go even faster. After one year of it we just couldn't take it anymore and shut it down.

They charged us $400 and told us we had to take the dish down and get it to them. We are so glad we are rid of them, it is such a relief!! Now we are with a company called Bug Tussle and they are the greatest. Wonderful service, no contracts and no data caps! And it never goes out when it rains! We have had it for six months now and never had to call a tech or customer service. We are so happy now. Get rid of Hughesnet and get happy!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I am single and bought the family plan because they told me it would last me an entire month. The data ran out in six days. Customer service is worthless since nobody's native language is English. All they do is lie to make you agree to their service that ends up being a pathetic disappointment. Rude liars that trap you in a two-year contract. I kept bitching until they canceled my two-year contract with no cancellation fees.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My internet was down for one week. I tried to get someone to call me about my internet down but I never could get anyone to return my call. Finally, I called the Account Manager Representative and told him that I cannot get any service and that my internet was down. I did not receive any help so I said that I want to cancel my service with HughesNet. The Rep told me that I had a contract. I said, "I know. Do you know what a contract is?" I said that a contract is good until one of the parties don't live up to their obligation. You, HughesNet, have not kept my internet working nor will anyone call me. So, since you won't repair my internet, I want out of your contract since you are the one that has broken it. He still gave me a very difficult time. So, I told him that I was going to complain to my credit card Company and have my Attorney to write you a letter with the definition of a contract since you don't seem to know.

After a day or two calling, I finally got them to send a tech to see me. The Tech got it to working and told me that it was a Company problem. He said that it needed to be reregistered. So, he got the main office to register me. It started working then. About 3 days later it stopped again so I rebooted using the software that is provided. It started working again. I am totally dissatisfied with the quality of service. They lied to me so much that I do not trust anything that they said. I told the tech about my problem. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I had any more problems.

This company lies. They do not call you within 24 hours after you send them an email. They only got someone to repair my internet after I told them that I was going to get my attorney involved. I was clipped out of $450.00 about 6 years ago when I used them. I bought from them again because we do not have anyone else in our rural area. The real problem is that no one can keep the internet working in the rural area. As I see it, we live in a 3rd world country now. No one can do anything about any problem that you or I have with hughesnet. I am writing this to warn others of this company's deceitful practices and that they will lie to you in a second.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Beware!! I have had HughesNet for just about a month, never works. Been out to my house twice and they said everything was fine. Was lied to when I signed up. I was told "you can do live gaming" which is a lie and that we could use all of our devices at the same time. All lies. Live gaming does not work! The more devices you try to connect at the same time the more it buffers. I’ve been trying to cancel and they won’t let me. I was told that I have to pay $400.00 to get out of my two year service commitment which doesn’t make sense to me when I never had service to begin with. Oh and it gets worse. Their installers call you on the same day as your appointment and try to change the time. Well my last technician never made it to my house because I couldn’t accommodate his schedule that would have been the third time they have been out to my house in under a month. Do not make the same mistake I did! Don’t commit to them! You will regret it!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Awful. Just plain awful. By the way, I didn't even get this service installed. I was told by the sales person I could get a full refund before the installation. I called the same night I placed the order to cancel, and they only will refund me 50% of my money. They claimed it was a one time processing fee. DO NOT give them any of your credit card or debit card over the phone. Horrible company. I hope this helps someone from getting scammed. I wish I would have checked the reviews first and am glad I'm not doing business with them. They are a sketch-a sorous-Rex.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

About two months ago I wanted to cut the high cable/internet cost from one of the big companies. So I started using the HD rabbit ears and only got three channels and used my phone's data for the web. So to get internet only I discovered HughesNet satellite internet and the next day got mail from them on providing top quality internet and service. I started with them and from day one trying out my new Roku device for streaming I couldn't get any channels but CBS Live and sometimes Netflix. I called and they tested my equipment and said signal was excellent. I cancelled after about a month and was told I had to keep the dish on the roof, send the modem back by UPS and to pay 125 to have a tech come by and get a transmitter off of dish, and it's going to cost me a 400 dollar cancellation fee. I told them to bill me.

This morning... October 3rd I go to check my bank account and it was overdrawn by 600 dollars. I checked to see what the heck was wrong and saw that HughesNet had debited 400 dollars from my account unbeknownst to me causing other many overdraft fees. I do not recommend this company to anyone because they don't deliver as promised and not letting me know of their intent to automatically debiting that fee after I told them to bill me... furious.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Got rooked into signing for with Hughes.Net for internet service through Dish TV as we live in a rural area that has poor service by other internet providers ie: Charter TV & Century Link. No one ever mentioned it had a 2 yr contract with high penalty fees. Received nothing in writing nor did I sign anything. We just wanted to try it to see how it worked. Well long story short ---- it is far worse than the other two choices just mentioned and now it is $400 to break an unsigned contract. What a bunch of bull!!! They gave us very little info when it was installed. Their customer service people are difficult to understand clearly and they are very rude and careless about anything you say. Stay away from them!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Hughes free upgrade is neither free nor an improvement in faster speed as claimed. I actually got better "test" scores from speedtest.net two weeks ago prior to supposed "upgrade". With this claimed upgrade, the speed is so slow that when I click on the left arrows to go to beginning of a show on DirecTV... After a while of watching "downloading" I get a message that my internet speed is too slow, and so nothing can work in regards to downloading programs on DirecTV. Yeah, some fast upgrade indeed. What angers me the most is Hughes kept telling me my "free" upgrade would give me noticeable faster internet, than their previous set up.

Well, after multiple no show dates... I finally got the so-called upgrade yesterday, only to find it actually "slower". Then the installer starts telling me that they were all told it would be much faster too, but their experience doesn't match the claims, and I'd be better off with Exede... But they are not allowed to tell us that or they'll lose their job... Well, I wish he'd told me before the "upgrade" install instead of after. Then he proceeded to tell me about Exede's new satellite that has Hughes new upgrade look like a bad joke.

I never heard of Exede before, but he went on to give an example of how one local guy flipped out after the non-upgrade upgrade, and was somehow able to get out of the new upgrade 2-year contract, then went with Exede to get the claimed fast speed that Hughes just doesn't produce. He said that they'll tell me all kinds of different stuff to try at my end, but my installation is perfect, it's just the hyped faster speeds via the "upgrade" just doesn't materialize. Yet, now I'm under a brand new 2-year contract for a claimed upgrade that is actually testing slower than prior to the "upgrade"??? This is robbery, I was sold faster, got slower instead. If you are a Hughes customer that hasn't done the "upgrade" yet... Don't put yourself back under a two contract again, because you won't notice any positive upgrade, in fact your speed may actually get slower after upgrade.

I hope this just isn't some kind of business move to get old customers saddled with a new 2-year contract... Just because Hughes can't compete with another satellite company's new satellite speed now, in regards to speed and cost. I certainly don't feel Hughes met their end of the deal. It is not faster, if anything it is slower. I bought their "faster" upgrade claim that has turned out to be false in the field or in the real world.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

This is by far the worst experience we have ever had with any service company. We have had Hughes Net for about the last 3 months. It took almost two months to get our phone number issue resolved. They never told us until after the fact our old Vonage modem would not work on their service. When we tried to change our phone number over to their modem, they told us we would not be able to keep our phone number of over 25 years! We fought this battle and finally won, but it took countless phone calls to their company which is contracted out to no other than the Philippines!

Not that I have anything against them, but I think I should be able to deal with someone in my own country, who really understands how things work here! We cannot stream for the most part, and right now as I am online I have to use my mobile hotspot for internet connectivity, because it is terrible!!! We are paying almost $200.00 per month for two services and are considering buying out our contract in order to get out of this mess. These people should not be in business!!! I call this theft.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The installers at Hughes Network Systems were professional and will show you how to set up. I live in area that is hard to get real clear service. The company has the best wifi I have ever had. It works unless we have a massive storm that takes out power or extreme cloud cover and lightning. At that point I would shut down anyhow. Very reliable and this is not one just any hacker can hijack service or data from.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had HughesNet for a year now and it has never reached the max speed and data disappears when all devices are off. I have some college IT experience in networking and some programming. This company should be put out of business. Worst service I have ever had!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

This company is a complete scam. The account manager actually hung up on my husband tonight. She was being extremely rude. We have tried to cancel with them since a week or so after we got this internet because it didn't work. They refuse to cancel unless we pay a termination fee. I refuse to pay it. They have not provided the service at high speed or even close to it. Constantly they want to run tests on it. It's constantly the same either not working or extremely slow. This company needs to be put out of business immediately. We have spent hours on the phone with the horrible customer service they have. Then to have the nerve to actually hang up on us! Then when we call back it says they are closed!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I scheduled for internet service to be installed at my house on Sep 22nd. My appointment time was 5-8, I work all day not being able to have a earlier appointment. Around 6:30 someone calls saying he can't come to my house, long story short he reschedules my appointment for Sept 25th 5-8. On Sept 25th I call to make sure someone is still coming, to find out they told me wrong and my appointment was actually for today Sept 26th. Waiting around for my appointment today. It's starting to get closer to 8 so I call to make sure someone is coming, to find out they canceled my appointment without even calling or letting me know anything!!!

It sucks because this is one of the only internet companies that works out where I live but if I'm already having so many problems before I even get it installed I can only imagine how it would be after! I asked for a refund and I will be putting my money into a different internet service. For the amount I paid to have it set up I deserved a lot better customer service from these people too. Did not have a good experience with HughesNet.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I live in a rural area and have very little access to internet service. There was no other option except HughesNet, but even so, a very bad choice. They offer very low amount of broadband, at a very high price. When you use that up in 3 days, which is supposed to last a month, they charge an incredibly high amount to buy "tokens". Then after losing 70 trees last winter, I was finally able to get a better internet connection ,so I canceled the Hughesnet. They didn't cancel so we received more bills. I was put on hold many times that I tried to contact with them (as long as 45 minutes) and then disconnected.

When I finally talked to a real person, she told me that my husband had to call to cancel because he pays the bill. I'M THE ONE WHO SET UP THE ACCOUNT! Now they've sent my account to collections to collect for the 2 extra months they neglected to cancel after my call. They managed to put the collection account in my name. This is a very bad company, with really poor customer service! They should not be allowed to run a business this way. Deceptive advertising, and unreported charges that get added to your bill. I would sue them if it wasn't such a small amount. If they hurt my credit, I will.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I don't usually write reviews to complain; however, I want to say that subscribing to HughesNet was a big mistake and I would not recommend their service to anyone. We had their service installed in order to get a faster internet speed and better streaming for Netflix and Amazon movies, but their service was no better than the service that we had and it costs over $100 more per month. When I called them, they would not cancel my service until they sent another installer to check out the dish. Installer came, but service was no better.

When I called for the third time to cancel the service, they kept on trying to change the cost and telling me that it was something on my end. Finally, after being on the phone for over an hour, I finally made it clear that I just wanted to cancel their service; that I did not want to have to deal with them anymore. I was told that I would be charged an early termination fee of $385.00 which I think of as highway robbery. I told them that they were the hardest company for a consumer to deal with and were the worst of any company that I have had dealings with.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This is by far the worst internet I have ever had. No one in the house can do anything and I mean anything that requires internet and I was told by the sales rep. that this was great internet that I could work from home, the kids could play their games, watch Netflix. He also said if we went over our 20 Gig package it still wouldn't be a problem to work from home that the slower internet was still considered high speed. I have not yet been able to work from home without using my mobile data and have not watched Netflix in over two months and I can't get anyone on the phone to talk to me unless they want to sell me more Hughes net.

I'm paying almost seventy dollars a month for nothing and can't seem to get anything done about it. Someone help me please. As I try to finish this review I'm ask for a order number, I've never seen it, a receipt. I don't even get a bill they just deduct it from my account each. Paperless they call it, so I took a picture of the router just to show I am a Hughes net customer.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

09/21/2017 I should have cancelled the service the day it was to be installed. My time for installation was for, 07/16/2017, between 12 and 5 PM, no one showed up until 8 - 8:30 PM. The job was not completed until well past midnight and the installer was leaving and my internet was not working. Fortunately, my husband was able to stop him before he pulled off so that he could fix my internet. The employee that took my order failed to tell me (on purpose) that I would need to port my phone number myself, I think that's important to know since I have never done this before and more importantly I had already cancelled my phone the day of installation. I was on the phone for at least 3 hours if not more with Hughes Net and Verizon trying to get the phone number I've had for over 30 years back.

Once the installation was complete almost a month later I noticed a delay when speaking on the phone. I would say something and the person that I was speaking with would not hear what I said and would start talking while I was talking or repeating myself and visa versa. Extremely annoying. The internet was slow even though the only thing I was doing was my email and paying bills. Also, my 10 GB was gone the first day of the new billing cycle, very strange. So this put me in a slower speed and in my overage, which is another problem because with Verizon, Xfinity, etc., if you get internet you get internet. There is no limit from one billing cycle to the next for usage.

I believe my usage was disappearing quickly so that if I complained they would try and tell me I needed more than 10 GB. So what sounded good upfront was not, like they say if it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't, so very true. I contacted the service department many times about my phone service and they were also experiencing the delay and continuously asked me, "What did you say," then we would both talk at the same time. What a nightmare. The following is the conversations that I had with customer/technical service that I had.

1st contact. 08/16/2017. "I had a horrible experience today with tech support. I called in to report that I was getting a delay when speaking on the phone. The first call spoke with Mike who transferred me to Kate who disconnected because of what she was instructing me to do. Second call spoke with Alex got disconnected. Third call spoke with Alexandra who transferred me to Kate. Kate was NOT helpful whatsoever. I'm all for ALL nationalities working in the United States of America but give me a break ALL the customer reps, tech, etc., have been non American. Seems strange that when I ordered the service I spoke with an American, when I asked for billing I spoke with an American, but when I need help NO AMERICAN AVAILABLE. I did not appreciate having to repeat myself over and over and over and over and over."

"Also, when I called and requested to speak with billing, Lucas, the rep. complained about the phone going in and out and the delay so guess what. He hung up on me. The automated service disconnected twice. Finally, my 6th or so call to Hughes Net I used my cellphone because CLEARLY my home phone was not functioning properly. My previous service was with Verizon and there was NO delay. The whole reason for the delay according to Kate was that I'm currently using a satellite and Verizon was not a satellite, seriously Kate. I informed her that I know what service I'm currently using and paying for. The things Kate requested that I preform did not make a difference. Kate also was having a hard time with the delay so clearly this needs to be rectified immediately."

Their response to me. "Thank you for contacting HughesNet Support. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today. I understand that you are having issues with your HughesNet Voice Service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, your time and efforts are highly appreciated. Ms. **, please be advised that we have limited capabilities here in email support and we would need to refer your concern to our HughesNet Voice Group to further assist you with real-time troubleshooting to determine the possible cause of the issue. You may reach our Voice Group through our phone support at 1-866-347-3292. They are open 24/7 to assist you."

"For further queries, feel free to contact us at 1-866-347-3292 or online at http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com via chat or email. We're open 24/7. You may receive an email survey which will help us identify specific areas for improvement. Please take the time to complete it. Your participation is well-appreciated! Your case ID for this email contact is **. Thank you for writing to HughesNet. Enjoy the rest of your day!"

2nd contact. 08/19/2017: "The response I received from the email I sent, 08/16/2017, is UNACCEPTABLE. Why are you telling me to contact the VERY people that were unable to help me? Your limited capabilities have NOTHING to do with my service. I expect that you are able to contact tech support and request that they look into why I am having the ANNOYING delay on my phone. I know that I still have time to remove myself from the 2 year contract and if this problem is not rectified soon that is what I will do."

I also, contacted them again and someone from tech support contacted me and asked me to keep a record of how long the delay was. So in essence I had to pay and monitor what my phone service was doing, really. The service is not worth the aggravation. I took the early termination and gladly paid the fee and went back to Verizon.

When I called to let Hughes know that I wanted to cancel my service Ron, Hughes employee, was trying very hard to get me to keep the service, by offering discounts, etc. Once I assured him that I was happy to pay the early termination instead of staying with a service that I was not happy with and pay $80 a month for the next 2 years. I asked him about the dish and he stated very rudely that I could do whatever I wanted to with the dish.

I asked about returning the equipment and he stated I would receive a box and the instructions would be in the box, that was 08/29/2017. I called back to see when I would receive the box and the employee told me in October, that I would need to go through a billing cycle, these people are not trained at all. I received the box 09/06/2017. The instructions to remove the radio was so unreasonable. It's their equipment (outside) and they should be the one to remove any or all of it. I would not tell anyone to go with Hughes if asked.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was led to believe by DIRECTV that I could bundle a TV subscription with internet service provided by AT&T. Once I agreed, I was later informed that internet service was not available through AT&T. However, not to worry , they "partner" with HUGHESNET for internet (satellite) service. From the day of installation on HUGHESNET internet, until 6 months later, I have had little or NO internet connectivity due to poor installation and poor reception. I have called over 25 times to complain and the issue was unresolvable.

They only continued to upgrade my account and charge more money. I could not access my on demand features of my TV or download and record programming. Sometimes, it would work with no audio or constant pixelating. I decided to cancel my service and they charged my credit card $387 early termination fee that I did not agree to. They will not reverse the charges. Please, Please DO NOT give they your credit card information or sign up for AUTO-PAY. You may get hosed all over your credit card by this unscrupulous company!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It has been almost 2 months since I got Hughes Net. It has to be the worst internet service I have ever had. It is constantly reloading. You get maybe 1 to 2 minutes of your show then it reloads again and again. Extremely frustrating. And they are not cheap. Actually they make you pay to lease their equipment or you have to buy it. I wish I had never gone with them. Now I am stuck for 2 years. Trust me, you do not want Hughes.Net services. Save yourself the headaches.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We live in a rural area, where nothing was available, except for dial-up, Cellular WAN, or Sattelite. We had AOL dial-up for almost 15 years that cost about $11/mo and ran at 56kbps and used a analog phone line. We then tried Verizon for a mobile hotspot and were paying $35/mo for 5GB of 4G service. That never worked (nothing works here), so we went with HughesNet. We have their highest package - 15Mbps which is $150/month. The capacity always tested around 4 or 5Mbps and never higher than that. The download was supposed to be 3Mbps, but never reached .7Mbps. We were told to use the HughesNet 'speed test' computer applet, which said the same thing on our end, but on their end they showed no problems. I have to reset the modem at least 5 times a day. My grandparents have HughesNet too and have "Gen5", which is supposed to be 25Mbps, but never tests higher than 8Mbps.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
    • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
    • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
    • Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs