3.2/5 (175 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

Top HughesNet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Verified

This company always gives a 100% when trying to resolve customer's problems. I always receive great customer service! I am always satisfied with the end results. HughesNet has hir...

Verified

I have really liked having Hughes Net for my internet. ... They really go out of their way to makes sure that any issues you may have are immediately addressed in a timely manner ...

What is HughesNet?

HughesNet has high-speed satellite internet with a 25 Mbps download speed on all plans. HughesNet also offers a “No Data Cap” promise that guarantees customers will receive service at a reduced speed instead of being charged more if they go over their data limits. With its “bonus zone,” customers can use 50 gigabytes of additional data each month during off-peak hours.

Traditional fiber or cable internet services may not be available to people who live in rural areas. However, because HughesNet is a satellite-based company, users all across the nation have access to its plans. According to the company, you can receive its services as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky.

HughesNet pricing

HughesNet offers four packages that start at $49.99 per month. All plans include 25 Mbps download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds, but the plans differ in how much data can be used. With its lack of a hard cap on data, HughesNet does not charge overages for extra data use, but it does significantly throttle service speeds.

Customers can purchase their equipment outright or rent it for about $15 per month during their two-year contract. Customers must pay a $99 activation fee as well.

HughesNet FAQ

How fast is HughesNet?
All HughesNet plans include speeds of 25 Mbps, which is considered average for the industry.
How much is HughesNet?
HughesNet plans start at $49.99 per month.
Is HughesNet compatible with my Windows and Mac operating systems?
HughesNet works with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
What is HughesNet for Business?
HughesNet for Business is a division of HughesNet that offers business-specific internet services. It can be an affordable option for rural businesses that have a hard time getting access to traditional internet services.
Who owns HughesNet?
HughesNet is owned by EchoStar.
Can you work from home with HughesNet?
Yes, you can. With speeds of 25 Mbps, working from home should be fairly straightforward with HughesNet.
Does HughesNet offer TV?
HughesNet offers TV packages through DISH and DirectTV.

Is HughesNet good?

For many rural business owners and families, HughesNet is a very affordable option for internet service. Although its plans are fairly limited in terms of flexibility and options, they’re designed to fit most families’ needs. Some homes that use the internet for more specific uses, such as gaming or HD video streaming, may find that its speeds aren’t ideal, but with its free "bonus zone," customers can download movies and install updates after hours to limit data usage.

HughesNet Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: May 20, 2022

When I called about a problem I had to disconnect from my Dad who was deceased and put it in my name. I have changed several things and this was not a problem before. All that said I was told I had to pay 14.95 and I guess that was from then to billing. The man I spoke to said he would keep my service until they disconnected it. It disconnected and so I think I overpaid my bill. Could you please check on this for me.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2022

The workers were VERY professional, made an appointment immediately when the found they could not fix my problem remotely. The appointment went excellent. The tech followed it through until he knew what the problem was and immediately fixed it. Although it required more than he thought it would, he had everything he needed and stayed until it was tested and working correctly. Thank You, Hughes Net and I will recommend you to family and friends.

HughesNet response

Thank you very much for your comment. We have shared this feedback with our installation department. Thank you for continuing to choose HughesNet as your service provider.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Did not have any internet and contacted HughesNet. They said they could get a repairman out the next day @ 11:00 AM. The repairman arrived on time and immediately checked the signal coming to my dish. He decided that the dish had a bend in it from me hitting it with my mower. He change out the dish & fine-tuned the signal. Everything has been working out great since. I am very happy with the response of Hughes Net and the expertise of the repairman.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I was surprised on strength and phone connection was very strong. Addressing was difficult, since we are rural and remote. Others were wanting this service and Address was their biggest problem. But technician was great on explaining it to us. We strongly recommended to the community. Then again most are on fix Income too, that always makes a big difference. It was a good price. I was not able to get on Hughesnet to register my account, kept asking for username and password. I was not able to register.

Original review: March 25, 2022

The wifi service is great. Loads my internet tv well. Also the service that came to install equipment was awesome. Couldn't have asked for a more knowledgeable person for the job. The only issue that I have had with the service itself is it loads slow on my phone when I'm using the internet tv. I'm thankful for doing this, it's a lifesaver and will help me save money in the long run with cable bills.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I recently ordered HughesNet after what I thought was a thorough conversation of what I needed. While the original response time was stellar, it went downhill from there. Once the install was complete, all I have is a buffering service. I was installed on 1/6/23 and here I am on 1/18/23, my service not only buffers all during operation but now the picture is so blurry you can't see faces. I called every day til honestly I'm tired.

I called this evening and was told "Oh it cloudy and it's a storm in the area of your service provider so we can't send out a proper code to your system". I'm like what? So I asked why is that not standard in informing consumers before/during their sign up. This is VERY deceitful for those of us in rural areas that they claim cover so well. My service has NEVER worked fluently ..YET!!! HUGHESNET you should be ashamed of yourself!! I will be reporting this on every platform I can because this is soooo wrong, and I see if we want to cancel service you want to penalize us because we don't want to accept what you give.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

There is good reason this company has a 1.1 rating with the BBB. I don't know which is Worse, the internet service or the customer support! They lie, they threaten, they upgrade my service to extend my contract without my permission. Someone needs to initiate a Class action against this company and shut them down. Use a hotspot or cellular router, avoid HughesNet!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

HughesNet is the only choice in most rural settings so it's NOT THE BEST but the only choice. Worst service, cut off with no signal, 24 hour stream time. Download today, tonight and maybe watch it in a couple days. Wifi so weak it will not connect 25 feet away! Cancelled my service. They billed me another month 15 days ahead of schedule and set an email of cancelation in March. Going to bill me for 2 months after I cancelled. Think I will sue them for damage they did to my roof! Fred Flintstone had better internet service than HughesNet has! They will increase your bill without notice! I called today to tell them I cancelled yesterday and the inept agent kept saying, "but it says March 3rd." I would say it's wrong and she would say "it says March 3rd." They must be on dope! If any other service is available Stay the hell away from the #2 service in the country! Pun intended. Save yourself many headaches!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I have had HughesNet for 18 months and have called due to poor service every month. Finally had enough and called to cancel. The customer service rep would not stop talking and I had to listen to her for over 40 minutes before she would cancel. I could not speak with supervisor and was also told that if I did not let her go on she would not cancel the account. She tried to make more promises than a used car salesman. Finally she cancelled but charged 200$ for early termination. Said contract was for 24 months no matter how poor or slow service was. Told me that I was overreacting about their service quality, that their service was the fastest and most reliable in the world. No one else even comes close. I will never purchase or rent a Hughes product ever. Have never had a more troubling call. Beware of Hughes

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I recently purchased a new home, and unfortunately, the only available internet service is Satellite. AT&T recommended HughesNet, and it is garbage. I have called on multiple occasions, and the only thing this company is good for is apologizing. They eventually sent a technician out, only to discover my service had been routed to another Satellite dish, and no one could explain how or why. The technician rerouted it back to the Satellite at my home but the services was still shoppy. I spend hours watching my devices try to connect. When all else fails, which it always fells, I connect to the hotspot on my phone. The technician even said he would never buy Hughesnet because it is junk and advice me to seek other providers. This is the worst experience ever. I am in jephordy of losing my job because my job is 100 % remote.

HughesNet Company Information