Hughes Network Systems

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Me and my girlfriend currently have HughesNet service and are very displeased with our current standard package. The high speed internet they say they sell is very falsified and is complete garbage. You cannot watch videos and it takes very long to load all pages for $80 dollars a month and an allowance for your internet time. The company has horrible customer service. The tech that installed our satellite said they will be getting new satellites that run 20Mbps of speed standard. As of April whatever of 2017 no price change each month to go from 5Mbps what we have to the 20.

When we have called to make an appointment to get the upgrade installed they say you will have an activation fee of 90 or so dollars. As I stated above the technician said no price change each month and this is an experienced technician by the way as he stated to me. But HughesNet would like to charge you $90 while I overpay for horrible internet service that I already have. Can anyone say scam.

The reason I wrote this review and I never write reviews is because the internet service I had previous was Time Warner Cable. They provide a great internet service. I had a 25Mbps package for $80 a month no allowance on high speed internet. It was very high speed and could use all the internet I'd like with no allowance and had no issues playing videos loading anything. It was a great experience.

Now I currently have these scammers with a 5Mbps for internet speed for $80 a month. Was promised a bill of 60 something dollars when we received the service to begin this process through DirecTV and their package deal. Also another scam to lookout for through DirecTV and HughesNet first bill was over 100 something dollars. My girlfriend and I are looking to get rid of these scammers as soon as possible. DO NOT PURCHASE. Highly advise others to do so as well. Other high speed internet services like the one I stated above you will be getting a fair deal if not a great deal.

Hughes Net is a horrible, money-hungry company. I've had trouble with them since day one, they missed my installation appointment. They do not care about their customers, with one exception, they are available 24/7 to "understand your concerns." Their internet doesn't work half the time or it's super slow. If you call them every three months they will give you "credit" so you pay a cheaper monthly fee but then it goes right back up until you call again.

When I moved out of state, they told me to only bring the modem, once I got here they told me I couldn't have internet at my new home, they then started charging my bank card for months of service that I didn't use. When I noticed and called them about it they charged me an early termination fee. I was upset and this didn't seem fair but now they are trying to charge me for a piece of equipment on the satellite that I have no access to. They are crooks and I would advise everyone to stay away from this company. There are far better options out there!

So I Had two Bad experiences and thought by now they got it right. Nope. It is the fact that we are not wanting a bad report to be put against us on our credit that we even consider not ignoring these people and pay the price. I am in country and Verizon was running over 400 a month most of all for the internet portion of my bill. So when I heard that Gen four was all about the fix they needed I bit into it. Knowing the sales team would wine and dine for my business I was sure to confirm download speeds and cost and thought I got the best based on the conversation. So I paid upfront for the dish for the third time. Set the install day and there it was the new Gen 4.

Tech told me had a great ping and was expecting at least the minimum I requested. Nope the actual download speed and how fast a ping was to some other state were two different things. Was promised a reset in 20 days. Nope. After a month went by and they auto drew my account it was at best slow for a day then back to the crawl that would not even allow me to write this review. So today shortly after my first payment I tried to cancel. 15 Minutes of trying to talk me out of it and here it came. 400 bucks, plus a month in advance and I could not take it anymore and hung up. Why is the Attorney General not stepping in? Is it that they never got HughesNet? Certainly someone has made some headway with this company. Like to see some post to that effect or wondering if I am just in the club...

I live in a rural area where satellite Internet is about the only option for home Internet service. I decided to try Hughes Net, so I went on their website, entered my zip code and was attracted by the advertisement for their first time customer prime plus package for 24 months at $49.99 (+2.75 tax). I had service installed on 05/27/2015. They want to automatically debit your credit card or bank account for your monthly payments. If you want a paper bill, they will charge you an extra $5/month. This was a bit of a red flag for me. I usually don't trust auto pay options and it makes it much harder to handle any billing discrepancies. But I ended up allowing them to auto charge my credit card. As far a billing goes, everything was fine until 09/2015. I checked my credit card statement and they charged me $59.99 for my service.

I called customer service and the representative tried to tell me that my home area was not covered by the $49.99/month offer that they sold to me. I complained that this was false advertising and had the representative go to the website and punch in my zip code. Sure enough the same promotion for $49.99/month for 24 months popped up. He said there was some sort of mix up on their end with the promotional rates and billing cycles, so they credited my account for the next 11 months with a $10 discount to bring the price back down to $49.99. Beginning in September 2016, they began to charge me $63.29 (+ tax), for my monthly service (equating to an extra $10.55/month). Unfortunately, I didn't catch this mistake until March 2017. So, they changed my rates again and I overpaid for 6 months.

I again called customer service and reminded them that I signed up for the $49.99/month plan for 24 months, which should expire in May 2017. The representative told me that the $49.99 plan was only valid for 12 months, which again is in conflict with their original advertisement for 24 months. When I complained for a second time that I was unhappy with this rate increase and that they are falsely advertising their packages, the representative made it seem like I didn't understand the terms and conditions of the agreement and it wasn't any mistake on their end. They would not refund the money I overpaid, but they said they would credit my account $10 for the next 3 months to bring the payment back down to $49.99.

I am very disappointed in how Hughes Net conducts business. I feel like I was scammed by false advertisement and then I had no notification or justification when my rates went up unexpectedly. With the auto pay deduction, the money is taken out of your account before you even know and they won't give your money back to you. Word of advice if you are considering Hughes Net, watch your bills closely and keep close records of any calls that you have with customer service.

In addition to billing disputes, the service did not work well in our home. Speeds were very slow and much worse if two devices were connected at once. We also had an issue where we completely lose signal and had to have a technician come out to the house and examine our dish and equipment. He told us that our dish had shifted and lost signal and then charged us a $180 service fee for re-aligning our dish. I was not aware that a dish can move over time and that expensive services calls are required to realign it. Overall, I am not happy with Hughes Net and would not recommend their service.

I call to complain a few days after receiving Hughes Net services. The services are complete garbage. They begged me to another month trial. I agreed. I went out and purchased another router in what was recommended. My trial ended on the 18th of March. I called today to end services. The phone hangs up. I call back a second time. The rep hangs up again. I wasn't irate nor mean. Now it the 3rd time I begin recording them. It took a total of 6 times to get a cancellation. One of the reps gonna tell me she couldn't locate my account after I mention Canceling my services. Apparently this is their business practices. Why would you put any human through this. Shameful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Tony and I got Hughes Net because according to their commercials they are suppose to be so reliable and affordable. On March first our month started. On March 4th they said we used all our data for the month!! We have made numerous calls to them in the 2 months we had their service and each time they blamed our equipment and suggested we go buy all new equipment. The equipment we had was already new!! We finally told them to cancel our service because they did not deliver on their end of the deal. We also told them to cease auto drafts. They did. But hit our bank account for nearly 400 dollars first. Then told us we have to take all the equipment down and ship it to them. WHAT??? I wish we could give them 0 stars. I cannot express enough... STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET!!

I thought I'd try Hughes Network Systems and it was a terrible experience. I was told that I would be able to surf the internet, stream movies, etc. and if it didn't work that I could cancel my order and get my money back. When they came out to install it, the technician could only get a weak signal and the internet was super slow or not even working at all in some cases. I did not sign off on the order that it was working satisfactory and the technician told me to just try it for a couple of days and if it didn't get better that I could cancel my order. Two days later I canceled the order but was shocked to find out that I wouldn't be getting all of my money back. Hughes Net informed me that the 'activation' fee is not refundable. I explained to them that the service was not working properly and I was just trying it out but it did not seem to matter to them.

I then wrote a letter to the Hughes Net corporate office about this situation and all they did was have some foreign agent call me and say the same thing - that the activation fee is non-refundable. So, I ended up paying approximately $112 - on a terrible service for a two day period. I really feel like I have been 'hustled' by this company. Stay away from this company unless you want to get ripped off.

We were assured by Dish Network/HughesNet that we could watch movies, live stream, play games on playstation with no problem. We couldn't do any of that. We called twice to complain, the 2nd call they had my husband on the phone for an hour and half running test. Test proved our internet was not working. We were told technical support would call us within 48 hours. 3 weeks went by, never called us back so I unplugged their system, changed my bank card and called another internet service. When I called to shut the Hughes net off, they were rude and told me I still had to pay an early termination fee. I just received a $780 bill from a collector. I sent all their equipment back. These people will not get a penny out of me for a service we never received. My only mistake was not reading the reviews first.

After researching my options I decided to sign up for HughesNet. I spoke with one of their representatives and he was telling me I had signal in my area and telling me about by speed and how far the data would get me with what I was doing. After just 1 day with HughesNet it was evident that that was all just a load of **. I had better speeds hot spotting off of my phone. I cancelled after 1 day. I had to pay for installation, and a month of service. Sent the equipment back and found out I forgot the radio off the dish. Then they charge me another $200. Over $400 for 1 day of horrible service. I would recommend a hotspot on a cell phone way over HughesNet. Don't let them con you too!!

Slow if it is working. Also if you think that all you will need to return at the end of the contract is the modem you are mistaken. They make you climb on the roof for one tiny piece of the dish. Failure to do so costs 200 dollars. They know a lot of the customers won't do this so they collect big. I am going on my roof if I have to grow wings and fly before I give such a crap company one more cent of my money.

You read lots of reviews about HughesNet and seems to be a lot of negative reviews so it makes it hard to make a decision if you should try it or not. I had a hard time wanting to go to them for internet after reading the review but I took my chances. I've had them for about a month and I stream videos and do all your common networking stuff and it seems to be a good fit at the point. I'm a dad of four so we it's used with plenty devices running at the same time and I've only had one little stall (few seconds) while watching a video on my Netflix account. If you live in a rural area I'd recommend you to try them out.

I called and talked to 2 different people to see about internet service. The first one only told me what she wanted to tell me. She did not answer my questions or take any of the information that I was trying to tell her and use it to answer the questions. The 2nd time I called, I spoke to a man and he was nice enough at first, but then he said that I said that we did not have cable service available (I did not say that) and that if I had told him that I had cable service available, he would have told me to go that direction. He treated me as if I was stupid. If you are looking for internet service, I would not recommend these guys. In fact, I would suggest that you use anyone but Hughes Net! They have horrible customer service.

Cancelled service with HughesNet 3 months ago and they continue to make unauthorized debit charges to our account. They tell us that we never cancelled our service when indeed we paid the cancellation fee. My husband has also reported them to the BBB and because in doing so they agreed to have us pay half the cancellation fee and now they have continuously charged our account. Not only have we removed our account number with them, they are trying to tell us we never cancelled our service! Horrible company!!!

I don't know where to begin as there are so many problems with them. Firstly, they are about 70% more expensive than the better providers. Okay. So it wasn't until the installer arrived that they told me some important things that I would have liked to know beforehand such as you cannot use a fax machine with satellite, and whenever it rains even without wind, the phones go out and internet goes out. No matter how much data I bought it was never enough to even upload one 15 minute video and watching videos even in SD was limited to about 2 per month with their most expensive plan. The first month was great. Then the second month about 5 days after my cycle began (each time you are billed for the month you get new data. After 5 days I couldn't do anything even watch a 5 minute video.

They said I was out of data and I said "How can that be?", they said one movie in SD could use up all my data for the month and the reason the first month was so good was because they don't tell you but the first month they leave you alone and give you all the data you can use. Believe it or not... These were not the worst of it. Toward the end people were telling me that when they called there was no voicemail, just a message saying "This user is unavailable." I called Hughes Net and told them I was losing business and not only was my phone not ringing when someone called but the caller ID wouldn't work and they couldn't leave messages. This went on for about 2 weeks and they couldn't figure it out.

Finally I made the best move ever and got a great internet/phone provider and have had no problems. It is so wonderful to have a good provider... I hope my review can help some people. I am getting bills for the last month that I couldn't get calls and I don't really care, they never apologized to me or corrected the problem but I'm glad it happened otherwise I would have continued putting up with the poorest internet connection you can possibly get.

I gotten HughesNet service installed in my home on January 2nd 2017 and had their services removed on January 20th 2017. Internet was really slow and they never did get my phone working. They billed me this month in March for $41.33 and I haven't had their service over a month now. They told me they was going to give me back my $69.93 cause that's what I paid for them to install my service. I haven't gotten that back and they billed me this month for no good reason at all. They owe me now $111.26. Honestly they should pay me for the $1,000.00 I lost in the month of January in the stock market due to them not getting my phone working. All together I lost $1,111.26 cause of this company not holding up to their end of the deal. They refusing to make it right with me.

First of all I ordered video service only. It's in my name only. I'm only one who can make changes to my account. Well day of install I wasn't home my husband was. Another tech talked him into getting internet service. When I came home. I said Hughes net internet sucks heard nothing but horror stories. So I called to have it removed because I didn't order it. They told me if I cancelled I would be charged the early termination fee even though was the same day. So I tried to work with it.

Always ended up data capping. Barely get mbps when that happens. Video was always searching for the hopper. So we decided to cancel it after almost year. Was disconnected this past Feb 2nd and 27 they withdrew from my checking account using a card that I had removed. A long time ago was using different card. I called them. I got we already turned it over to collection agency. I'm like you haven't even added the equation yet how can it be turned over already. Well they did. They are dishonest company so I thought I would get my story out there.

We have only had service with Hughes Net for a month now. Our Data renewed on the 1st, so we watched some Netflix on the 1st, maybe a few hours (I should mention that we just got Hughes Net last month and we got it on the 1st of February and our Data lasted almost the whole month). Anyway yesterday on the 2nd we couldn't watch any Netflix at all. We didn't watch any today either because it was messing up. My husband called customer service and they said that we've already used all of our Data for March. We paid our bill in full, actually they take the money out of our account so I know that there is no problem with the bill. But I know that there is no way we used all of our Data.

I am so mad cause my husband couldn't convince them that that was wrong and they won't refund our money or our Data. So we wasted our money and we don't have extra money to be wasting. We have never had internet before and my kids were really excited about getting internet, but now I feel like we should cancel because we can't afford to be wasting our money, especially since I feel like we are overpaying anyway and now I am totally convinced that we are being ripped off and I don't know what we can do about it.

HughesNet internet service is lousy and completely unsatisfactory. I have made several calls about lack of service or slow service. They sent a technician to install, the technician is a third party salesperson who sells a router. Then when service is less than standard they say it's because of the router. To check the delays one needs a computer, a laptop or tablet won't work. I am screwed. Locked into a contract for two years! I would not recommend HughesNet to my worst enemy! It's too bad for me. I have to pay for a service that is slow or not working at all.

I had Hughes Net for two years and was completely disappointed. Horrible customer's service, high prices, slow internet and charged my account twice by mistake then it takes 30 min plus on the phone trying to get them to fix their mistake. Horrible, horrible company. No.

I was expecting service as they advertise on commercials and ads. I have come to realize it's false advertising. It is not fast internet speeds. It is not an American based call center. I pay out the Ying yang for less than 1mbps when I'm supposed to be getting 10mbps. It's been like this since day one. I have spent several hours of my time over the past 7 months with technical support to try and solve the issue. But to no avail it's still extremely slow. I loathe my decision to even give this company my money. Current weather - sunny blue sky, no wind. Current speed 134 kbps. THATS NOT EVEN A FULL MB!

Plus note. The representatives from the Philippines are very courteous. Though I ask a question and they don't understand how to answer it majority of the time. I have downgraded our service, and I'm going to unhook it from the wall. I can't afford $500 to cancel the service, the service which I'm supposed to be receiving a certain amount of speed but I'm not. (They can technically get away with you receiving at least 60% of what's guaranteed. Which I'm not even getting that.) When they try and compensate they offer a $20 discount. I feel as if it's a kick in the stomach or like I just got spit in the face. I would not recommend this company, unless you want to waste your money.

My experience with Hughes has been absolutely awful! It literally gets to the point of where I can't load the google homepage, not kidding! We've had technicians out here, talked time and time again over the phone, to absolutely no avail. Technicians have no idea what they are doing and just make some random bull up. We switched from Dish, and let me tell you Dish was WAYYY better! This service costs a lot more, a waste of money if you ask me. We don't stream, don't even watch YouTube, our internet is used for simple things like shopping and surfing the web, and little social media. If I could rate them 0 stars I definitely would! Bottom line, don't waste your time and money.

If I could give them zero stars I would. I cannot stress enough how much you should NOT get their service. High fees, slow internet if you even get any at all, customer service is scripted and they basically could care less. When they install they forget to tell you that you have to go buy equipment from Walmart or other retailer, costing you another $120. Then if you cancel before 2 years you get charged a few hundred dollars and they expect you to climb up on your roof and remove the satellite and radio transmitter and ship it back. If it is damaged upon removal you will be charged another $300. I'm sure they tell everyone that the equipment is damaged once they receive it whether it is or not. Complete ripoff and the worst company I've ever dealt with. STAY AWAY!!!

Contacted HughesNet, via telephone, for Telephone and Internet service February 2, 2015. Installation done on 2/5/2015. Was told that during the first 30 days, I had "Right of Rescission" and could cancel service without obligation during that 30 day period. Service appeared to work, speed NOT what they had promised! Watched either Netflix or Hulu movies almost every night. Download speed not capped during first 30 days. March 10, 2015, ran out of monthly allotment of data speed. Called customer service (they have nerve enough to call it customer service), sales person convinced me to purchase an increase in data (bad move). March 20, 2015, ran out of data, again. HughesNet claims that I have too many devices using data. Cancelled Hulu account. April, 2015, cancelled Netflix account, severed internet connection to TV.

March through August 2015, called HughesNet customer disservice every month. Excuses, excuses! Our telephone worked intermittently. In August a HughesNet employee threatened to "hang up" because he said I was rude, calling them liars. August 2016, after another year of the most unreliable service I ever experienced, began getting my calls to HughesNet blocked. Our home telephone becoming more unreliable. We could be right in the middle of a conversation with someone and HughesNet would disconnect the call. My attorney called them, added my call via 3 way calling. Woman employee at HughesNet promised improvement, and said she would call me back when I got home. NEVER heard from her again.

I called again, next day. Asked HughesNet representative why during my first month (when I could cancel without prejudice) I had no trouble watching movies, but since then I didn't have enough data to watch movies. Her response, "During the first 30 days we allow you some extra data because your devices need to download apps for HughesNet." My response, "You mean 'Bait and Switch', luring a person into thinking that they would be getting that much every month. Isn't that against Federal Law?" She responded saying that it wasn't 'Bait and Switch', but just good customer service. I informed her on that date that my 2 year contract with HughesNet would expire at midnight February 4, 2017, and that I wanted them to remove anything that they claimed was theirs within the following week.

November 2016 called again because telephone didn't work. Rude response from HughesNet representative. Told him that my contract would expire February 4, 2017, and I will be discontinuing service at that time. Called again in December 2016, same complaint, same BS answers. Told representative that HughesNet had 7 calendar days after February 4, 2017 to claim any equipment that they wanted back. I threatened to put everything in garbage after February 11, 2017. February 1, 2017, signed up with another company to replace HughesNet. Issued order to "port" telephone service immediately to new company. February 2, 2017, other company says telephone should switch over within 24 hours.

February 3, 2017, went to my bank, 10:30 AM, issued a "Stop Payment order" on HughesNet's payment of $119.98 due to come out of my account AFTER midnight, February 4, 2017 (37 hours BEFORE they were authorized to take any monies). Called HughesNet Customer disservice again, informed them that they were not to touch my bank account again. Was told I couldn't terminate service! Just after 11:15 AM, returned to bank, cancelled debit card account completely. During the 30 minutes since I called HughesNet, they had tried and failed to deduct $119.98 from my account. Unfortunately, when they change the amount to $119.75, they were able to get it, because the bank's computer was programmed to block $ 119.98, the amount that HughesNet had deducted from my account every month during the past year, it didn't block the 13 cent lesser amount.

Since it took two attempts to get the money, and since they were withdrawing monies AFTER I had called to cancel service, and they did the withdrawal 36 and a half hours before they would have otherwise been entitled to, this amounts to bank fraud. I am providing this information to the following: Better Business Bureau; the Kentucky Attorney General's Consumer Protection office; the Kentucky Public Service Commission (since they provided telephone service); and the Federal Trade Commission. I hope to also file with the Federal Communications Commission. I hereby authorize this website "CONSUMERAFFAIRS" to provide my information to any attorney interested in pursuing a "Class Action" against HughesNet.

I would give a zero rating if I could. Service absolutely terrible, all areas. Signal terrible, customer service terrible, etc. Within two weeks of contract our gigs were used up and I called to complain. They gave me two free gigs which didn't last long with a family of six. Called again, on hold for another 30+ minutes, then someone comes on other end who I cannot understand. Finally have had it after complaints up to half a dozen times. We tried to terminate and fees are through the roof. On phone today with 3 different calls for a total, one they hung up for one hour and forty five minutes. We canceled. Do not get suckered in to this company. We are changing today, our bill will rise a little but our friends, neighbors are very pleased with service from one we are switching to. Hughes Net, you're terrible! You should be ashamed of yourself.

We have had Hughes Net internet service for over 6 years! Only because we cannot get any other internet service where we live. We started with 5 GB of data which was all we needed and we had data left over. Then after a couple of years it wasn't enough. So we upped our data to 10 GB a month. That lasted a couple of years and suddenly that wasn't enough data so they wanted to add more again. I repeatedly called Hughes Net and asked why we were using so much data? All we do on one desktop and one tablet is check email and play Candy Crush! They told me we had a device that was using all of the data. That we were watching YouTube which was impossible because it continually buffers. Or our phones were eating the data! We don't own smart phones! The internet is so slow that it takes minutes to load if at all.

We switched to Gen4 thinking it would be faster only to find out it wasn't. The tech they sent out to change the satellite to Gen4 told us he had to have an extra 65.00 that wasn't on the bill to put up the satellite in addition to the other charges that I am sure he put in his pocket. He also told us the reason our internet was so slow or not working was because Hughes Net was trying to destroy the satellite we were using so they could use a different one! And the whole time they were destroying the satellite they were charging us and thousands of others for internet that wouldn't work. Trying to talk to someone at Customer Service and get a rational answer is impossible. They offer you extra GBs or tokens but never fix the problem. Most of them you cannot understand what they are saying. Their English is so bad.

I don't know how a company with so many complaints can continue to operate without being investigated for fraudulent charges, fraudulent data usage, and fraudulent service. The more data you buy the slower the internet runs so you will use more. It is such a scam! If you call them they will have you unplug your equipment for a test to see if it's their modem, etc. but I can guarantee you it will never be their problem! Having fought with them for over six years I've finally had enough. Our last data was increased to 50 GBs and after only 10 days we had supposedly used over 39 GBs! There is no way we could have when we check emails and play a game on Facebook. I don't know what it will take to get the BBB to check them out and prove them to be the frauds they are but if you have any other option other than Hughes Net take it. Having no internet is almost as good as having to deal with a fraudulent internet company like Hughes Net!

This was the worst experience I've ever had with any service provider. It's nothing but a scam. It all started when the installer came to my house, mounted the dish on my porch post, ran the cable across my porch then straight into my house. First month's bill was 100 bucks then went up, then I called and they dropped it to 71 dollars a month. By the way I am 45 years old, and not a gamer, but somehow I was always running out of data. Well one year to the date I called to cancel, they said it was for two years. Two months ago I get a box out of the blue to send my stuff back, now I just received a letter my account was turned over to Collections and they been taking this money out of my acct every month. I will tell everyone I know about the service I received dealing with these crooks.

This has got to the worst internet company EVER!!! Customer NO-SERVICE is what it should be called!! Half of the time we can't even get on the internet, all they want you to do is pay for more NO-Service and get the same results! Called to change the pay date of my service, they did it for 2 months. Now it's back to the original date! Said they could do it but it would have to be prorated for the 2 extra days! Even 1 extra day! And getting them to tell you what you have to do to cancel their rotten service is like pulling TEETH!!! Do not sign up for rotten service! And you can't even speak to anyone here in the United States!

I live out of town limits. After seeing ad continuously on TV about HUGHES NET I called & started the Standard Package with Satellite. Upon finally getting tech another cost came in with modem. After 1st month still couldn't even download a Facebook picture. Continued to call & complain. USELESS. Never able to use 3 months in constant calls to complain. Canceled. Told no authorization to charge my acct. They refused to credit me 3 months of my 98 dollar charge & before I could hang up they had charged my card 380.00 for rest of contract. Then box shows up Feb 20th to send Internet box back. On Feb 22nd they charged me 317.00 for their box!! I don't know other than to complain & talk to my bank about trying to get my UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES back on my Account. If you are reading this. DO NOT GET HUGHES NET. FEELS LIKE HUGE SCAM!

Stay Away From Hughes Net they're liars! They lied about what we could do with service, they lied about the speed, they lied about the cost! They want you to buy tokens for more data. We can hardly do anything. They want you to use the service during their nonpeak hours. I'm basically paying for the equipment they installed on the house. Can't pay bills, do homework and forget about movies. Currently trying to get out of the contract and get a different service provider but options are limited.

I had HughesNet installed several months ago and it has worked extremely slow, like dial-up, or it doesn't work at all. The company has never sent a technician out to fix the system. But they still want their $70 a month and threaten collections. They want $250 to disconnect. Two year contract that I never signed. They claim electronic signature at sign up. I didn't see it. Major rip-off and extortion against my credit report. DO NOT USE THIS PROVIDER.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
  • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
  • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
  • Best for Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Compare Internet Service Providers