3.1/5 (1461 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

Top HughesNet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

This company always gives a 100% when trying to resolve customer's problems. I always receive great customer service! I am always satisfied with the end results. HughesNet has hir...

Verified

I have really liked having Hughes Net for my internet. ... They really go out of their way to makes sure that any issues you may have are immediately addressed in a timely manner ...

What is HughesNet?

HughesNet has high-speed satellite internet with a 25 Mbps download speed on all plans. HughesNet also offers a “No Data Cap” promise that guarantees customers will receive service at a reduced speed instead of being charged more if they go over their data limits. With its “bonus zone,” customers can use 50 gigabytes of additional data each month during off-peak hours.

Traditional fiber or cable internet services may not be available to people who live in rural areas. However, because HughesNet is a satellite-based company, users all across the nation have access to its plans. According to the company, you can receive its services as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky.

HughesNet pricing

HughesNet offers four packages that start at $49.99 per month. All plans include 25 Mbps download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds, but the plans differ in how much data can be used. With its lack of a hard cap on data, HughesNet does not charge overages for extra data use, but it does significantly throttle service speeds.

Customers can purchase their equipment outright or rent it for about $15 per month during their two-year contract. Customers must pay a $99 activation fee as well.

HughesNet FAQ

How fast is HughesNet?
All HughesNet plans include speeds of 25 Mbps, which is considered average for the industry.
How much is HughesNet?
HughesNet plans start at $49.99 per month.
Is HughesNet compatible with my Windows and Mac operating systems?
HughesNet works with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
What is HughesNet for Business?
HughesNet for Business is a division of HughesNet that offers business-specific internet services. It can be an affordable option for rural businesses that have a hard time getting access to traditional internet services.
Who owns HughesNet?
HughesNet is owned by EchoStar.
Can you work from home with HughesNet?
Yes, you can. With speeds of 25 Mbps, working from home should be fairly straightforward with HughesNet.
Does HughesNet offer TV?
HughesNet offers TV packages through DISH and DirectTV.

Is HughesNet good?

For many rural business owners and families, HughesNet is a very affordable option for internet service. Although its plans are fairly limited in terms of flexibility and options, they’re designed to fit most families’ needs. Some homes that use the internet for more specific uses, such as gaming or HD video streaming, may find that its speeds aren’t ideal, but with its free "bonus zone," customers can download movies and install updates after hours to limit data usage.

HughesNet Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

When we had our service moved I was at first told that I would not be charged for moving the service. Then I was charged for moving the service but the fee was waived. Okay. Then I'm having the same problem at the new address that I have the old address. My phone bill is an outrageous 60 to $80 because the internet is not picking up the slack and the data is having to work more because the internet's not picking up on my phone then they come when they come and they put the internet in. They installed the satellite on top of the roof. I didn't think anybody did that anymore but my landlord is very upset with us. We had no idea that they were putting on the roof because there are other trailer. They put it on a pole in the yard so we are just assumed that. That's what they were doing here.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

We live in an area where a lot of Internet providers won't or don't provide services. Hughes is the only one I found ever since I've had very good experience when calling in for help. I'm old school lol and I like to chat. Everyone is very kind and helpful. And having internet is a learning experience for me. Please be kind to the representatives. They are there to help and they are just doing their jobs. I run out quick of my high speed internet fast I mean fast because I have 3 teens. They complain more about it being slow than me. But I understand it more once you use that high speed up it runs slow but it always works for me when I need it to. Especially now during these trying times. Stay safe and thank you Hughes!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Did not have any WiFi for 22 days due to a problem with my dish. I was sent out a new modem which did not work so the tech reinstalled the old modem and it worked great. Alex helped me with the billing issues but was unable to give an acceptable resolution to the sending back the old modem that is now in use. Alex did try to help resolve my issue but was unable to change the modem back to operating system.

My problem was never with the modem and in the very beginning I kept trying to get a tech out as I KNEW it was the dish. The location was a 15. Once the dish was fixed everything worked fine. So I am still very unhappy with the decision. So I will be forced to pay an extra $100 as I am not sending back my modem which is working fine plus the $100 fine for a tech coming out to fix the dish. The tech is the one who reinstalled the modem that was not broken. He was great also. Yes I am an unhappy customer but Alex did give excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I loved my service with Hughesnet, but I moved away from the vacation residence and don't plan to be there enough to warrant the service. I tried to cancel the service on Oct 26, but the rep talked me into keeping it through April, promising no charge at all. Against my better judgment, I agreed. Then I found a full charge had been taken out of my checking account. I had to call back and go through the whole thing again, this time not to be talked out of cancelling the account. After this I did a live chat to see about returning the equipment, was assured that my equipment is not to be returned. I have the ref #s on all these communications. I did receive the refund, thank you. You seem to be a good and reliable company as I am a good and reliable customer, but I did have an encounter with a poor service rep who didn't follow through on what he had promised.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I called in to get assistance in getting extra tokens of data. I wanted to find out if I could pay for it at the time of the request and not have to wait until my billing date. I tried to do it online but couldn't see how to do it. I asked the customer service person to help me and let me know how to do it on the website. He was very helpful and also helped me find my month to month data usage on the website. He helped me secure the data purchase and was very informative on how the usage updated so I could understand my rate of usage. The only reason I did not give a 5 star rating is because I could not get an unlimited data plan - it is not offered. The customer service person was helpful, knowledgeable, efficient and clear in his explanations.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We had Hughesnet before when we lived in NY. Went with Spectrum when it was available because of higher speed and bundling options. Only went with Hughesnet now because it was only thing available. Satisfactory but still slower. Hopefully they will improve its speed.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Very helpful and informative. Checked my registration information, and reviewed the phone portage process. Advised on when to cancel previous phone account. Answered and clarified any and all questions about billing, invoicing. Confirmed my current registration had no errors or missing information. Reconfirmed the plan I subscribed to.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I just got your internet in Red River NM the week I was there on vacation. It worked then but I anxious to see how it works the rest of the month!! My last carrier didn't after so many gb were used up, hope you're not that way, you told me you weren't.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Your internet service isn’t fast enough to operate AT&T boxes, which I told your associate from the beginning. They made 1 adjustment but still does the same thing. I feel I I was lied to about the service for the price I was given.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

So far it has responded well. A bit slower than I expected but way better than att. The installer was very knowledgeable and worked extremely hard to make sure the system was installed properly and working as it was supposed to.

HughesNet Company Information