1.11/5
  • 1 star
Based on 383 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

2373 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Been with this provider for 10 months & have had nothing but problems & issues with their services. Constant breaks or shutdowns of phone service & slower than a snail's pace on internet service. About 80% slower than what I was promised at sign up. Tried to contact customer service about these issues (claim everything is working perfect). Most of their customer reps. can't even speak plain English along with their put off tactics. If you have ANY OTHER OPTIONS for these services it will be in your best interest to go there. As I find this one very unreliable. This provider operates on the very edge of scammery Deceit & Lies. Should not be allowed to operate in this type of services! Class actions should be filed! (I will readily support.) Are grossly overpriced for the services they offer. Best to stay clear of this bunch!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

If there was an option to give 1/16 of a star I would give it just for the fact that it is a service. We got this ridiculous internet service because of a flyer mailed out to us in August. So my husband called them to get it set up. In the call, he asked that if the service isn't to our standards that we would like to cancel without any early cancellation fees. The rep agreed to this and entered this information into our account. The installer comes in and bolts a satellite dish on our roof and calls it good. We usually only stream TV and movies and used up all 50 GB in less than a week.

So my husband calls back stating that we already used up all the GB and that apparently this was not going to be the service that will help us. The lady convinced my husband to keep the service if she added another 50 GB for free. So we do this, not knowing that there is a 30 day grace period of no fees to discontinue service. Well, we go over that 30 days grace period with constant issues. My husband calls back to complain about the constant buffering. All in all, my husband called 5 times complaining about the service and finally back in November asked them to discontinue service and asked what our final bill was. We had a $0 balance of what is owed and we also asked that there is no early cancellation fee since this was a service that we were not pleased with. Also to note that my husband made an agreement with the supervisor that we can waive the early cancellation fee, which she agreed on.

Well we received that $385 cancellation fee without any notice, no email, no last statement. I called the company to ask what this fee was for and I talked to a customer service rep who evidently cannot pronounce his words fully so it sounded like he was talking through a tunnel with a mouth full of cotton balls! I could not hear one word that even sounded coherent. So he was reciting the documentation between my husband and the other reps that were recorded in the account and also recited what sounded like our policy and asked me if this was correct. That is ALL I could get out of his speech, "Is this correct". For which I said that we will have to call back and talk to someone who can actually speak properly so that I know what I am agreeing to. I am suspicious that this company hires people to talk this way on purpose so you will agree with them even though they are not speaking coherently.

This is a horrible company and I would not recommend my worst enemy to sign up!!! This company needs to be looked at by the FEDS and IRS because charging for early termination fees to customers who are dissatisfied with the service is ridiculous! Not only service, but service that doesn't even work in the area!!! They should be ashamed of themselves!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Bad Service with Hughes Network System. I couldnt watch Netflix, or any of the Amazon because the service was too slow. I couldnt watch videos on Facebook because service was too slow. When I asked to get it fixed they said my service for the month was used up and to make an appointment to talk to a service rep. AFTER I gave them a $10.00 deposit, then within 2 weeks they would get back to me. On top of that they installed the dish on the roof of my storage shed and ruined the roof watertight integrity. Then told me I needed to bury the cable in the ground inside a PVC pipe but I had to pay a service call to disconnect the cable to thread it through the pipe.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Do not sign up for this internet unless you plan to never view HD movies and hardly ever use your computer. They fail to tell you on signing up that the 10G is eaten up almost immediately if you view HD movies and the 50 extra free amount is only good from 2AM to 6AM to actually be usable. We were not totally informed about the limitations. This service is terrible.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Terrible internet and a scam. I called and cancelled the service and they said they were sending me a box to mail everything back to them. They cut off service and I then have a record of twelve calls made trying to get the box to mail everything back. They then billed me a full month because it took them 45 days to finally send box. When I called about the bill for one month I was informed they show I used the service for ONE day so I have to pay the entire month. Doesn't matter that I cut off service. The one day was on a Sunday and they said they could not shut off until Monday so I was charged a full month??? Their fault and I have to pay or they turn it over to collections. What a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

When HughesNet released their new 5G service they promote at least 25+ mbps and 3 mbps of download and upload respectively. The service is very inconsistent ranging from 35 mbps to 250 kbps during a 24-hour period. We use a speed measuring app recommended by HughesNet that monitors the speed every hour so our complaint isn't about perception of performance but on actual verifiable data. We have had Tier 4 tech service from HughesNet and onsite service from their area contractor and there is no improvement.

The technician that came to the house basically said he will not recommend Hughes Net if asked of his opinion. Furthermore, it was his opinion that their new satellite has many problems and that until Hughes solves these issues the service will be extremely unstable and unreliable. Unfortunately we live in a rural area and have only one other very expensive option but if you have choices, stay away from HughesNet: they can't deliver what they hype.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I purchased a property in a rural location where DSL service was capped and no other service was available. As a result, I enrolled in and attempted to use HughesNet Gen 5 internet service for a period of 4 months. I cancelled the service when a 3 Mb/s DSL came available, and paid almost $400 early termination fee. The DSL service is more reliable and provides much higher data rates. The HughesNet service has been adequate to send and receive emails, if no meaningful attachments are included, but attempts to transfer any meaningful amount of data, or to stream any video content did not exist for me.

I attempted to run speed tests on several occasions, with occasional burst to a few (<10) Mb/s, which showed me that the capability was there to make it usable, but the service appears to be is so over-subscribed that these were short lived periods and were typically followed by a second test of well below 1 Mb/s and about half the time the test timed our as data rates were too low to execute the test. On the other hand, the old technology DSL service typically shows 2.5-3 Mb/s as advertised and, while quite limited, has been a great improvement over the HughesNet Gen 5 service. This service seems to be only be of value to those who have no other communications available, and then only for very low data rate applications.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Ok, I signed on with HughesNet June of 2014 with a two year contract... never had any issues to speak of. I had my account debited monthly since, I noticed I never received any statements or other offers from them, but was pleased with the service, so let it be. I should mention I'm disabled on a fixed income. Well last month my tablet died. I don't have money to throw around on what I'd call a luxury item... I can live without a computer. So imagine my surprise when I call HughesNet tonight to tell them to discontinue service... I told the woman, "I no longer have a computer, I completed my two year contract last June, so thank you. If I ever need internet again I will call." "Oh no," she tells me, "Well we will put your account in suspension for up to a year, because you may get another computer, and in this day and age you really can't live without one... so let's work on a payment plan."

WHAT??? I told her, "I satisfied my two year contract. I don't owe you anything." She then tells me, "Well actually you were put into a gen 4 contract in March of 2016." I said, "Really? I was never sent anything in writing. Never a phone call, I've never even seen a statement from you!!! How can you put me in a contract when I did NOT agree to it??!!!" She responded, "We don't need your permission." I thought my head was going to explode... No matter what I said she would not back down. First she said I had to fulfill 3 more months of the contract, then it became 6 months!! I told her, "I will not pay you a penny for service I didn't agree to or use." I hung up before I started getting colorful with my language... So now I have to contact someone in the government that handles this... who the Attorney General for my state? I'm so over companies doing this, I no longer ever want to sign on with any of them... I will never recommend them to anyone... beware!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We got into the contract with the understanding that we could stream movies on our TV. The service is too slow for our DirecTV system. Every time we try to use it we get the message that the internet service is too slow. When we call customer service they just bounced the ball around and promised to call back but they never do. The real kick in the head is it costs $400 to cancel the service. We can’t use the service but we have to pay. DON’T DO IT.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Just like most other reviews, Hughes is living up to the standards we are all complaining about! How they are able to do this sort of thing on an ongoing basis boggles the mind! I have had phone line internet service at my residence for over 20 years at around 5 mbps and rarely dropping below that regardless of the hours I utilize it. I wanted faster speeds so was convinced by hughes that they were the way to go. From the day they installed there were problems. Not connecting, slow rate, no internet at all. Called. Talked to 6 different low level people who went thru the same procedures with no results. Between approximately 6:30 pm until midnight thereabout, had as low as 345 kbps and at times, or no internet at all. Finally made it to level 4 tech support who told me they were adjusting satellite signal, and making adjustments to the combo router, modem they provided.

When that failed, (at least 4 attempts on 4 different occasions ) they told me at that peak hours, surprise!! 6 pm-12 midnight the rate will drop, caused by the heavy usage during those hours. Of course, just like millions of other hard working folk, home, after dinner we sit down to catch up on emails, and watch a movie... and low to no signal! When I call to complain, I get to start the process all over again. They gave me extra gigs, even gave me 20.00 credit per month for 7 months, anything to keep me from cancelling service before the 30 day trial expired. Then blam! According to all I spoke to, supervisors to cancellation people, they told me provide exactly what their contract says and in fact are # 1 in providing speed and customer satisfaction, and if I cancel, I can pay the early termination fee 0f $400.00. In addition, they will send a box and instructions to return their equipment.

I am 62 years old, and live in a two storey home. They require me to get on my roof and remove the receiver from the center of the dish and ship it with the router/Modem. I told them I would not be climbing on my roof and that need to send a tech out to retrieve it. They said sure, for just an additional $100.00 fee. Bottom line... service sucks, customer service sucks, a total nightmare from beginning to end!!! I DID bitch hard enough to get the $400.00 early termination fee cancelled. When I asked for the employee's name and an extension to contact him if they went ahead and tried to bill me anyway, he suddenly could not hear me. I could hear him... then he hung up! There should be a class action suit against these criminals, and if one is instigated, I will gladly hop on board! Do not get tangled up with this company!!! You have been warned!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had Gen 4 installed in March 2017, nothing but complaints from me. Called their support team and was upgraded to the Gen 5...even worse! My cell phone after data restrictions is faster. I've contacted the BBB. Strongly recommend everyone contact the BBB. I will take the early disconnect fee to get rid of them. Cell phone is definitely faster. The customer service department aren't capable of speaking English, hard to communicate with. Always a run around...checking from our end, nothing wrong, reset your modem, leave unplugged for 10 minutes to clear cache, you have a strong signal.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Do not sign up with this company unless you enjoy being lied to and having your money stolen. My husband called in and was told that the product we were signing up for would allow us to stream live TV, Netflix, and internet on phones and computers. HAH! Come to find out, we were only given 10gb. When we called back to cancel, they hit us with a $400 cancellation fee even though we were NOT PROVIDED THE SERVICE WE SIGNED UP FOR.

I will be calling back daily to resolve this. If they truly record all calls, then we should have some leg to stand on to fight this $400 charge. We refuse to pay for something when we were not provided what we were promised. Not only that, but they want to charge us for the remainder of the month!! Hughes Net will never see a dime from my family. They are liars.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I recently contacted HughesNet and entered a contract for Satellite Internet Service for a vacation home in western NC. Soon afterwards, I was contacted by the HughesNet subcontractor (American Satellite) to schedule the installation for November 17, 2017, between the hours of 8:00 am and 11:00 am. The technician arrived at approximately 9:30 am and surveyed the area and stated the installation would not be a problem.

Coaxial cable was ran and brackets installed on my roof to support the satellite dish. After 2+ hours, the technician could not obtain the proper signal strength and confessed, she was a junior technician and the installation would require a more senior technician. American Satellite re-scheduled the installation for November 22, 2017 between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm and when I had not heard from anyone by 3:30 pm I called American Satellite for an update and had to leave a voice message.

Eventually, American Satellite contacted me and stated the technician would not be arriving as scheduled. I offered to extend my stay from November 24, to November 25, to give them an opportunity to complete the installation. Unfortunately, American Satellite was unable to accommodate and I departed NC; frustrated at American Satellite for not completing the installation and HughesNet for not properly vetting their subcontractor.

Regrettably, HughesNet only utilizes one subcontractor (American Satellite) for the western NC area; therefore, if I want HughesNet’s internet service I am forced to deal with American Satellite. I am not looking forward to this experience again. HughesNet needs to take responsibility for the installation and properly vet their subcontractors. Recommend potential customers find out who HughesNet subcontracts their installations to and investigate their reliability before entering a contract with HughesNet.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We got this crappy internet on a deal DirecTV was having in June 2017 which was NO CONTRACT. I spoke with Hughes Net on the phone to set up the install and again verified this was a no contract offer and the salesperson confirmed there would be no contract. Day 1, the day of the install after the tech left we had horrible connections. I called, got a load of BS from the guy on the phone saying he made some adjustments. Haha, same problem day 2, called again and got the same BS. Except this one tells me the data allotment is almost gone. It's only day 2! I upgrade that amount to the next package up. Still the same problems. We try to watch a TV show on Netflix and the connection is so slow it kicks us out or has to buffer forever and a day followed again by kicking out.

I call and complain again and again thinking they are fixing it somehow. Even upped our package to the highest one and the data is gone in 6 days. Why? Because the service can't hold a connection due to being so slow. Therefore having to restart the TV show again (tried to fast forward to the same part we were kicked out at and we lose connection resulting in being kicked out), this is what's eating up all the data!!! Yet we still haven't even watched the full episode yet. Some nights it would take 3-4 hours for us to even get a connection! My daughter was never able to do her homework from home. This is school we are talking about now, not some stupid TV show but school!

Today I call to cancel and they tell me I have a contract fee. I asked them to play the recording of me on the phone when I verified there was no contract and they refused to do so. Guess what Hughes Net? I'm not paying that fee and will gladly call every day asking for this recording until you actually do it. This is a total ** show service they offer that comes complete with a charge for the toilet paper to wipe your ass afterwards.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Got satellite internet in 31 Oct 2017 and was not able to use it at all. Spent several hours and luck with idiots who have the brains of an ant. Had a tech out and still had issues. Have to wait until the end of November to receive the box to take down their junk. Waste of space.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

They have lied since day 1 when the monthly cost didn't match the phone quote. And they said the phone would never go out even if we used all our bought internet time (lies), as we have found this out 2 times now... And I read their announcement back to them stating “they would never shut our service completely down even if we used all our data”, well they did... No phone after my son used all the monthly data (twice this has happened). And getting the phones back in after I bought “tokens” for more data is nearly impossible. They wanted me to call them for tech service to reinstate the phones but.... Can't do that when their phone service is the ONLY service we have. And they want to charge me to send a tech out to see what's up with the phone... CRAP!!! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I just upgraded to Gen 5 with promises of faster service. It made no difference. Ping 700 ms, upload 0.2 Mbps. Absolutely terrible. Cannot effectively use for anything. Ready to junk it all. Unfortunately, no other options.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Do not get internet with this company! The technician came out and installed internet service, but he left before even verifying if my WIFI was working. He saw that I couldn't connect to WIFI and told me that something was wrong with my phone. He did not want to take responsibility that maybe something was wrong with their service. I have had AT&T U-verse and I didn't have any problems connecting my phone to WIFI. When I called customer service, they kept transferring me. I called the same day and canceled service with them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The technician arrived at 4:30 and left at midnight 12:00 am. By that time, we were referring to him as our adopted son. The technical issues started before he left and we were on the phone with their horrible customer service for literally hours day after day. The two times we were able to get to a manager in customer retention, we were hung up on. Both managers asked, "can I get your number, in case we're disconnected? So I can call you back". Then moments after getting our number, they hung up, never calling back. "This is their game; install the service, then charge early termination fee of over $400.00." That is their business plan in a nutshell! We have errors to prove they did not deliver BUT...because of their contract my husband signed...they get the early termination fee. Their company needs to be investigated. They are a scam; period! Interestingly, the error logs were dating Jan 1...when actually this happened in September.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

This service is a BIG LIE! Very slow, buffers and spins constantly, can't watch any programming because it interrupts constantly. Games on laptops and devices are very slow. Paid a LOT of money for the biggest package and it's a waste of money. We've called the help line and you end up with someone you can barely understand and when they "check out" the system, they never find a solution. I would GLADLY take part in a class action suit to stop these people from lying to the public, taking people's money for services they don't provide but claim to and get rid of them.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Service is sketchy at best. They will do or say anything to get you to sign up... BEWARE! You will lose service in bad weather. After you have used the allocated amount of internet service, they might as well cut you off because they slow you down so much that you cannot get anything done. The "trial period" is not long enough to satisfactorily decide whether the service is a good fit for you. I laid out plainly what I was looking for when I called to check them out. The salesman just kept making a better offer until I gave in. The first month was okay, not really fast nor really slow, but workable... not exactly what I was promised, but I decided to try it a bit longer. WRONG MOVE! As soon as the trial period was up, the service got slower and slower. Calls to HughesNet would temporarily speed it up, but a day or two later it would be slower than ever.

Finally, we used our 50mbps in 10 days. The resulting slower speed was grinding. When I called, the only option was to sign up for a much more expensive plan. I wanted to cancel the service but they said I would have to pay $400 early cancellation fee. I told them, "No", but they stopped my service on the due date. When I called to find out what happened, they told me they would reinstate it for a fee. They then charged my debit card for $400! This was the early cancellation fee for me NOT cancelling the service. I went to the BBB and started a claim...after several outright lies and puny offers from HUGHESNET, the BBB said the issue was resolved. WHAT??? Not resolved here. Customer service was VERY hard to understand and VERY rude. I just found that they have recharged the $400 to my account. Do not sign up with this company if you want to have decent service and good customer support. This is highway robbery of the slimiest of companies.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My experience with this company was a nightmare. Changing over to Hughes Net cost me a lot of money. Paid for equipment up front. BIG MISTAKE. Almost 400 dollars. Service sucked. Slow internet. Was not ever mentioned about a 2 year contract. After 3 months fed up. Called to cancel. Charged me 370.00 will not buy back the equipment. So here we are almost 800.00 later. They took the 370.00 from my checking account without my knowledge of paying for a broken contract. Will never recommend Hughes Net to ANYONE.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

This is by far the worst company I have ever seen in my life. I thought DirecTV was bad. You run out of data before you have it a week and then block your internet if you are late at with a payment. They harass you if you are online popping up their windows. They charge a fortune and I have yet to be able to watch tv from 6:30 for the rest of the night. I've had HughesNet for 2 months now and haven't seen tv at all in the evenings. Nothing will work. This is the worst company on the planet and don't even try customer service that's a huge joke.The sad part on the free trial my data never ever went down at all period but as soon as the trial was over you could almost watch it go down. I don't know how they rip folks off like they do. There has to some kind of laws against this. Sad to say I am an idiot that got screwed by them for the next two years. Bummer... BEWARE of HUGHESNET!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Would love for someone who has more time or resources to start a lawsuit on behalf of all of us. I'm not interested in any monetary gain but would like to him them responsible. They will not provide the quality of service I am paying for. After multiple speed test they know this and want to charge me $150 to come out to check their equipment. I've had since Feb 2015, it's been crappy and not worth the money we pay but because I work remotely I need it. It's the only service provided here in the sticks. I shouldn't have to overpay by at least 3 times more than everyone with good service. Then be lied to about the terrible service they are providing. They keep telling me I can upgrade to a new system but I have to buy out my other contract. These people!!!

The net is so slow that for the first time in 20 months I've went over my allowed data and had to purchase "tokens". If I really went over and idk if that's true but if I did it's because my internet is so slow that I'm working half the night to get it done. This is a catch 22 and it's ridiculous that they say they meet 60% of my threshold. Seriously!? I pay $102 for 10G up and 1G down and my speeds are below 8 up and below 300 kbps. This is 60%... how about I pay 60% of my bill then? No. That's not okay. Heres the deal guys, I'm going to be fired by job and rightly so because I am unable to perform. I've been employed here 7 years. 2 remotely. These people could care less. Someone needs to stop them. I'm too busy trying to catch up on my work. Who will stand for us when the company will not own up to the responsibility?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We have submitted several times a death certificate and had the name changed on the account 5 years ago today. Every time we call in to make any adjustments on the account we have to send in another death certificate and go through that hassle all over again. Crazy thing is when I log on to my account online, they have the correct acct information updated, they just can't see it... but they put it there. I was on the phone with them for 45 min just to cancel the account. In the meantime they tell me that my service is up and running fine with no issues as they have ran a diagnostic on it. The system has not been hooked up for over a month, so not sure how they can tell me it’s up and running fine!

After I faxed them the death certificate yet again, they tell me it will be 24 hours to update the acct with the death certificate so I’ll have to call back. I know their internet is slow but didn't know 24 hour slow! I finally give him all the information from the death certificate so he can search online for her obituary, again they put me on hold for another 5 min or so. I did a search with the exact information that I have him and it was the first thing to pop up on the search, again their internet is extremely slow because I was on hold FOREVER!!! DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HUGHESNET!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Sent by DirecTV- First we were lied to. Told a family of 4 would be fine on the pkg. Lied about speeds extremely slow, movies spun and buffered the whole time. They proceeded to tell me we will never run out of the high speed if I upgraded to bigger package. They gave me the free data so I could see the difference but still had issues even with their free offer. 15 calls (to Philippines) at this point! Well as you know we ran out rather quickly again. Though I really don’t think we used it all that quickly. The company then proceeded to tell me if I upgrade to Gen 5 all my problems would go away. Even the tech who visited the house guaranteed this!! After installation Gen 5 also a big fat lie. It never worked properly either and def not fast. After calling many times and running a speed test and troubleshooting over and over we found it's a big scam. They never can promise what they are promising.

But told we couldn’t do anything about that! Not when you can't even log in to our HughesNet account! That was unacceptable. That we would never have went through them for service if we knew it would be that slow and faulty. Also closest tech is 3 hours away in CT. Can’t make it on scheduled service call. I decided to cancel. They want to charge up to $300 for an early termination fee. After I Waited 2 weeks for service for a faulty box, the box had only 2 lights working. Clearly not my fault. We had done a contract with them when we signed up for service but they don't provide. But don't they have a duty to the contract. No service provided then no contract. Well after getting hung up on many times and arguing with them we finally discontinued service. Now I guess I need a lawyer. Just want you to hold up with your end of the contract Hughesnet. They said it wasn’t possible. They don’t have packages like that.

So I simply told them that they aren’t holding up to their end of the contract and that because misrepresentation they introduced me into it and that if they can’t hold their end of the deal then they are breaching the contract and I owe nothing. One Philippines person said agreed to let me off on my $185 fee and threw out my last bill. Looks like that didn't take place after all. More lies. I just have to return equipment. To me that’s admitting fault. Well then I found out I had to get on my roof to get a radio off of my satellite. Interesting that was never mentioned upon installation???

I called and argued again and let them know once they breached the contract on misrepresentation I will continue to call everyday till the early term fee is removed!!! And if it wasn’t for their lies there would be no contract or terms and conditions of me getting on my roof for their radio because it wouldn’t have been there because I wouldn’t have done service with them! And if they think they are going to go after me with the $200 for not returning their radio then that becomes fraudulent misrepresentation and deceit. Well I owe nothing because I got nothing and will fight this to the end. Hopefully Consumer Affairs or BBB will step in. Companies like this will take advantage of you! Hurt consumers keep fighting with me!! Call everyday until we take up all their time like they took ours.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

People need to check the reviews on this internet. By far the worst I have ever had. Dropped the service and paid 175.00 to opt out. My phone service is faster than their WiFi and that’s LTE from Verizon. I cannot believe they can get away with selling this stuff. Needs to be an investigation. Wow. I’m happy I opted out!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Had HughesNet internet services installed with my DISH because I was tired of paying high prices with my other local provider. From day 1 it's been crazy, poor connection, slow speeds. Attempted to open account on their website (needed SAN #). I pay my bill AUTO so never received it. Called toll free number, drove me crazy (All automated). They know my acct # but I can't get it because there no humans to ask, automation very limited. I had to give up, saving up money $400.00 to get rid of the service... Will pay that just to get my old provider back, they were cheap in the long run!!! DISH did say speeds are good, only problem you could have is gaming, it's all bad, only gaming I play is with my hughesnet.com. THEY WIN.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Only had Hughes Network work perfect for 1 day, then went to **! Called Customer Service to address Issue and they wanted to charge me for technical Support to verbally assist me in troubleshooting the problem. Then offered to send a tech out to my place at my expense. Hourly Labor + Travel Time. Service displays Internet Failure to Connect and if I do get service, everything buffers! After months of this, I finally decide to cancel my service with them and go with At&t U-verse. Now they offer to send a tech out for free so they can try and make it seem like I'm breaching contract so they can try and get me to pay an early termination fee. I've been paying months for services in which this company has not been providing. If there's a breach of contract, it's on their behalf! This is bad business!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Called in August to canceled my phone service. When it rains, no phone, when the wind blows, no service, etc. I thought it was canceled in August, as I was not able to dial/make a phone call. One assumes it's canceled. No, I was billed until November for this phone service and they want to charge me a termination fee of $190. My modem went out after 4 months. They wanted to bill me $10 to send me a new modem. I've had many modems and NEVER had one go out in 4 months. It also takes them > 1 week to replace a modem. Customer service???

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.

• Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.

• Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs