3.3/5 (1002 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

Top HughesNet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

This company always gives a 100% when trying to resolve customer's problems. I always receive great customer service! I am always satisfied with the end results. HughesNet has hir...

Verified

I have really liked having Hughes Net for my internet. ... They really go out of their way to makes sure that any issues you may have are immediately addressed in a timely manner ...

What is HughesNet?

HughesNet has high-speed satellite internet with a 25 Mbps download speed on all plans. HughesNet also offers a “No Data Cap” promise that guarantees customers will receive service at a reduced speed instead of being charged more if they go over their data limits. With its “bonus zone,” customers can use 50 gigabytes of additional data each month during off-peak hours.

Traditional fiber or cable internet services may not be available to people who live in rural areas. However, because HughesNet is a satellite-based company, users all across the nation have access to its plans. According to the company, you can receive its services as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky.

HughesNet pricing

HughesNet offers four packages that start at $49.99 per month. All plans include 25 Mbps download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds, but the plans differ in how much data can be used. With its lack of a hard cap on data, HughesNet does not charge overages for extra data use, but it does significantly throttle service speeds.

Customers can purchase their equipment outright or rent it for about $15 per month during their two-year contract. Customers must pay a $99 activation fee as well.

HughesNet FAQ

How fast is HughesNet?
All HughesNet plans include speeds of 25 Mbps, which is considered average for the industry.
How much is HughesNet?
HughesNet plans start at $49.99 per month.
Is HughesNet compatible with my Windows and Mac operating systems?
HughesNet works with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
What is HughesNet for Business?
HughesNet for Business is a division of HughesNet that offers business-specific internet services. It can be an affordable option for rural businesses that have a hard time getting access to traditional internet services.
Who owns HughesNet?
HughesNet is owned by EchoStar.
Can you work from home with HughesNet?
Yes, you can. With speeds of 25 Mbps, working from home should be fairly straightforward with HughesNet.
Does HughesNet offer TV?
HughesNet offers TV packages through DISH and DirectTV.

Is HughesNet good?

For many rural business owners and families, HughesNet is a very affordable option for internet service. Although its plans are fairly limited in terms of flexibility and options, they’re designed to fit most families’ needs. Some homes that use the internet for more specific uses, such as gaming or HD video streaming, may find that its speeds aren’t ideal, but with its free "bonus zone," customers can download movies and install updates after hours to limit data usage.

HughesNet Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Well, the tech kept in contact with me the entire day. It was storming and he didn’t want to work in the rain and I thought that was fair because who would. So I told him he could come later in the day. He informed me when he was on the way. He actually got to my place before I did. He asked me if it was okay for him to start outside first since I wasn’t there yet and I said sure. Once I got there he came in. We talked. Shared stories. And then he told me that he and his wife was getting over Covid. At that point it’s too late to ask him to put a mask on, he was done.

He worked well and shared pics of his grandkids and the conversation was welcomed but I wish the customers would know from the beginning if someone had or has Covid. Myself already having a lot of health issues, I would have just asked him to wear a mask before entering. But his service was great. Now once he left the internet went out 4 times within the first hour. I’ve heard that the internet service is not that good itself. I won’t fully judge yet. I’ll give it a few months.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

The installer came late Friday evening. He stayed until 11:30 working in the dark with only two flashlights. He kept dropping things and decided to come back another day. Nobody came on Saturday or Monday so I called to see when someone was going to come and finish the installation. I couldn't understand the lady I spoke with so I asked to speak to her supervisor. His name was Josh. He was very sympathetic, but said it would probably be November first. I was upset! He said he would put the order in again and hope for the best. I had to accept that. The next morning, Greg, the original installer called and said he was coming to finish the job even though it was his day off. He did come and finished the installation even though it took him until 5:30 that evening. I greatly appreciated him doing that, although I did ask for a manual and he said they didn't give them out anymore.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

When we had our service moved I was at first told that I would not be charged for moving the service. Then I was charged for moving the service but the fee was waived. Okay. Then I'm having the same problem at the new address that I have the old address. My phone bill is an outrageous 60 to $80 because the internet is not picking up the slack and the data is having to work more because the internet's not picking up on my phone then they come when they come and they put the internet in. They installed the satellite on top of the roof. I didn't think anybody did that anymore but my landlord is very upset with us. We had no idea that they were putting on the roof because there are other trailer. They put it on a pole in the yard so we are just assumed that. That's what they were doing here.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Did not have any WiFi for 22 days due to a problem with my dish. I was sent out a new modem which did not work so the tech reinstalled the old modem and it worked great. Alex helped me with the billing issues but was unable to give an acceptable resolution to the sending back the old modem that is now in use. Alex did try to help resolve my issue but was unable to change the modem back to operating system.

My problem was never with the modem and in the very beginning I kept trying to get a tech out as I KNEW it was the dish. The location was a 15. Once the dish was fixed everything worked fine. So I am still very unhappy with the decision. So I will be forced to pay an extra $100 as I am not sending back my modem which is working fine plus the $100 fine for a tech coming out to fix the dish. The tech is the one who reinstalled the modem that was not broken. He was great also. Yes I am an unhappy customer but Alex did give excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I loved my service with Hughesnet, but I moved away from the vacation residence and don't plan to be there enough to warrant the service. I tried to cancel the service on Oct 26, but the rep talked me into keeping it through April, promising no charge at all. Against my better judgment, I agreed. Then I found a full charge had been taken out of my checking account. I had to call back and go through the whole thing again, this time not to be talked out of cancelling the account. After this I did a live chat to see about returning the equipment, was assured that my equipment is not to be returned. I have the ref #s on all these communications. I did receive the refund, thank you. You seem to be a good and reliable company as I am a good and reliable customer, but I did have an encounter with a poor service rep who didn't follow through on what he had promised.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

It was suppose to be extremely fast but it is the exact opposite! Extremely SLOW! Pathetic!! Wish I would have known better!! I bought the equipment so now I am stuck and screwed! My VOIP Phones do not work either and I am faced with buying a ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter that costs a fortune) through Hughes which is outrageously priced. Of course, got screwed again after getting an internet service slower than AT&T DSL. Horrible Experience so far!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I contacted your business in order to get WiFi so that we could drop our cable service and use the Roku. Well guess what? Your service doesn’t work!! It’s slow, fuzzy and won’t even show anything half the time. This is not what we signed up for and I would like to have all equipment removed as soon as possible.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Rob, that installed my Hughes Net, did a great job. He was on time when they said that he would be here. He was polite and made sure everything was right before he left. He also made sure that I knew all about it before he left. I am very satisfied with the service that I received.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I had Viasat for 9 years and they were worse than ATT dial up. All I have to say about Hughes Net is HOW GREAT THOU ARE. THE BEST. THE GREATEST CUSTOMER SUPPORT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. I would give 10 star rating if I could.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I had the very best Technician (Alex) who was so patient, caring and kind. Perfect for older clients!! So far so good with my Internet. Sometimes gets really slow but not all the time. I would definitely recommend HughesNet Gen5 especially in rural areas where there's lots of trees. They are actually 1 of the 3 that does work here.

HughesNet Company Information