Hughes Network Systems

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I moved to the country and needed internet service. I ended getting service through HughesNet. This company and service is an absolute joke. I have had nothing but problems with them. They claim their service can even work through a hurricane (obviously there is no proof since you tend to lose power during a hurricane) but I swear a cloud passes overhead and my service cuts out. I pay a fortune for their service, since I got what they claim is their best, and I can even run more than one device at a time. If I have 2 laptops going in my house at the same time they both get kicked off and show I have no service. THAT'S WHAT THE BEST, MOST EXPENSIVE THEY HAVE GETS ME. We shouldn't have to wait turns to use the internet. I had faster better service when I had dial up.

The worst part is you are stuck in a contract and calling their customer service is no help. The few times I called they were absolutely useless. I stopped wasting my time calling, complaining, etc and just waited out the contract. I am sooo happy that my contract is up in 2 weeks. I have another company coming next Tuesday to set up my new internet service. I would never recommend working with Hughesnet unless you love having terrible service. Oh, and be careful with the company they use to install. The one that came here are scammers. I didn't have time to wait for my internet to be up and I didn't have a router so I had to buy one from them. Unfortunately I was trying to unpack my house, take care of a newborn and a toddler, so I wasn't paying close enough attention. I got scammed, they sold me a used router for $50. Nice huh. And Hughesnet was not helpful with that situation at all either.

I have Hughes Net Gen 4 and it has been my best option for my area. Phone lines have been abandoned and will never be upgraded as everyone has gone wireless. Wireless Internet is sketchy as not all services reach my home. You can blow through 10 gigs before you know it but be upgrading to 30 gig + 50 more after 2 pm. It's a Hundred bucks a month but went with free digital TV antenna on roof off eBay.

On April 8th, our supposedly high speed internet (HughesNet) with a connection speed of 5mbps was installed. We couldn't be happier cause we live in a rural area with limited options to choose from for our internet provider. After one day of super slow internet, I wasn't happy, but thought we should give it time, but it never got better. 5 days after, we called HughesNet only to be told that in 5 days Gen5 would be launched and we could upgrade and enjoy faster internet speed. We had just gotten installed 5 days prior and no one mentioned Gen5. In fact, the rep I spoke to kept reassuring me of how HughesNet was the number 1 satellite provider and how the package we had chosen was the best for utmost speed. We were promised 5mbps connection speed but have only had 0.07mbps as our best speed ever. I hung up after no help cause we were supposed to wait for Gen5 because the Gen4 was old according to one of their reps.

After that day, we have called a couple other reps and every time you speak with someone new, it's a different story entirely. Nothing ever seems to be in unison, except that Gen5 was the solution to all our slow speed internet problem. One of the reps had told us that we had 30 days to try out HughesNet before canceling, but before the 30 days would lapse, we had called in, but another rep said he had never heard of a trial period. Hence, canceling was off the table without us paying for a cancellation fee. Finally, we decided to upgrade to Gen5 and were told someone would call us in 3 business days to set up a schedule. It's almost 2 weeks and we are yet to hear from anyone. Meanwhile, our debit card has been charged $71 for the second month of Gen4 that never works. It is just a horrible company, I hope karma catches up with them soon.

We have tried for almost a year to get a technician BACK to our home to correctly install our satellite. HughesNet has put us off to the point they now say our warranty is expired and it will cost us at a minimum the cost of a technician visit. We have called, emailed, snail mailed until we are exhausted. After 63 minutes, 2 call backs after being dropped and 3 tiers of customer service technicians, we have an appointment in 72 hours at no charge to correct the first technician's issue. Wow! I only had to threaten dropping service, Attorney General, and Better Business Bureau to get to that appointment. If I had any other choice, I would take it but I live in such a remote area, there is no other viable choices. Be careful when dealing with them. Read everything you are asked to sign and ask that it be clearly explained to you. They are notorious for 'sign here' and not explaining. If you have other viable options, use them. I would.

Went online to pay my bill. The pay online is a horrible tool. After receiving my confirmation number which showed I made a 100.00 payment. I pulled up my bank account information 2 days later and found out they pulled out another 100.00 on top of what I had already paid which I did not authorize. I called HughesNet immediately and I told them I did not authorize the other 100.00. They declined to give me my refund. After about 10 calls to account management I still got nowhere. So now I'm going to be overdrawn at my bank. With no money for groceries. They are horrible. I said I wanted to cancel with them and they said, "We can't cancel" without me paying the penalty. So I am stuck. I hate them and I will never recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

We have had Hughes Net for two months now and have had problems with them since day one. We have a few things that are hooked up to our internet and they keep telling us we used up all data in one day. We pay over $200 and can't use it!!! Nothing loads. Everything is super slow!!! I have yelled and yelled at the people for Hughes Net and they can't do anything about it!!! So annoyed and frustrated.

I have had Hughes for about 15 months and it is horrible, maybe 2 days a week it may work decent, most of the time it is so slow that may as well have dial-up - have called them probably about 15 times about the speed, losing the internet entirely and their answer is almost always the same, my computer is screwed up or my modem is no good - finally fed up with it and am going to talk to AT&T tomorrow about maybe getting wifi with them and unlimited high speed.

HughesNet. This service is a complete disaster. After one year of constant complaints that HughesNet did not work well with DirecTV (actually DirecTV recommended HughesNet) I paid the two hundred dollar penalty just to be done with HughesNet. Switched to Verizon internet (at half the price) and all works well now. But poor performance is not really the issue.

I returned the modem back to HughesNet, and there was no interest on their part to remove the antenna from my roof. But HughesNet charged me an additional $212 on March 27th. I called and asked "Why the charge?", and as it turned out there is a thing on the antenna called the receiver that, according to HughesNet, I should have returned, so the reason for the $212 charge. There was no prior warning that I would be charged. HughesNet wanted to charge me to have the receiver removed. Or suggested I climb on my roof (three floors) and remove it myself. This is what I did. Then shipped it back to HughesNet (UPS), and it was received by HughesNet March 29th.

Next I called HughesNet as to when I would receive a refund (why they still had my checking information I don't like). I was told in 24 hrs (April 3), and if I don't see the refund then call back. There was no refund so I called back. Results of the call today (including at least an hour on hold), is I would receive a refund within 10 days, not from the March 29th date (the date they received the item), but from today's date (Apr 5). Hopefully by April 15th, but after one year's experience I really have no faith at all in HughesNet. Live and learn, Hudgesnet was a complete mistake but I can only blame myself, never again with Hudgesnet!!!

HughesNet is by far the worse service I have ever had. English speaking foreigners for reps with a heavy accent to the point you cannot understand them. Internet service is extremely slow, videos constantly buffering, can't watch on demand TV on DirecTV. The list goes on and on, cancel them. For 400.00 they will cancel you. They don't tell you that you have Data limits. Although they don't charge for overage, the internet gets worse. They said you need to upgrade for more money of course. It should at least work properly in the first place. Never again. Don't waste your hard earned money for this useless service.

Please take this warning. Stay away from Hughes Net. Use your cell provider hotspot if you must. I was a Hughes Net customer and had horrible service but learned to live with it, but had a two year contract. So when I had to move a year into the contract we were fully planning to move our services. When the tech came out he informed me that he could not install without causing damage to a neighbor's roof. Well that was not acceptable so he told me he would cancel our service and called his supervisor to confirm we would not be liable. Later that day we receive an email stating "Sorry we are losing you as a customer".

Well a couple months later I notice my credit card still being charged, so when I call they tell me I am still a customer and they will charge 300.00 for cancellation of services. They told me that email means nothing and I need to pay them. I spent an hour trying to explain how could an email say one thing and they say another. Please stay away from this company. Their services are horrible and you will be lucky to have two sites open during use, why bother for ridiculous price they are requesting. Stay away from this company. Let my loss be your gain of wisdom!

I was a customer of HughesNet's rural internet service for nearly a year. It was the worst internet service I've ever had. It was markedly slower than 1990's dial-up. Most days it was so slow that online pages would time out before coming up. (FYI: I would not have been able to submit this review if I was still using HughesNet.) When I called to cancel my service, I had to go through 4 service agents all trying to sell me an upgrade before I was finally able to cancel. Then I had to agree to pay $250 for cancelling my 'service' early. One of the agents told me that they would have been able to waive the early termination fee if I had complained more often by phone, rather than only once in awhile via online customer service satisfaction surveys. I now have a new, local provider and wonderful service.

To top it all off, HughesNet refused to pick-up their satellite dish and other equipment (installed only a year earlier) because it was obsolete and not fit for reuse. They told me to contract with a local waste-management company to have it removed. All-in-all, not a reputable company. Failed to live up to promised internet speed, but still imposed an early cancellation fee. Steer clear!

Had service installed Dec 2016, then service call in January because it would not support our wireless security system and electronics. Called to cancel Feb 2017 and returned all the equipment. Directv and our security company both verified their service could not support our internet requirements and now their collection company Allied Enterprises is calling me on my job saying I have been turned over to collections for $353.68. I never received a final bill after my equipment was returned, no response from the correspondence stating my security system was unable to connect due to their service.

This company does not care about their customers. They send out people to install the poles and equipment that think your front yard is the perfect spot, run wires all outside, up and down the walls and drill holes without authorization on my BRAND NEW home. I have to pay someone to remove their pole and dish from my front yard plus the mile of cable not to mention I had to pay my security company to come out again to hook up with the new internet provider.

Seems like to me, they owe me money and should not be calling me on the job but refusing to give me their fax number so I can send them a notice to stop calling me at work is a violation so next call is to my attorney. If you have any other option for internet... use anyone else but HughesNet. They are horrible. Their service will put you at risk as it does not support wireless security and they will harass you with automated calls then with collections non-stop.

Do No Use Hughes Net!! I recently moved to a rural area where satellite internet is my only option. I am sure this would be great if I was a customer of a professional American run and operated company. I can relate to the other reviews... Here's my story. After moving in I contacted Hughes Net for Internet services. Prior to the technician due date to set up services I called back and wanted to Add home phone, after realizing I have Zero cell signal. NOPE! Too late, the fake English speaker tells me I have to request this. After I get internet service they cannot add services. HUH???

Sure Hope I don't have a Wood's fire and need 911... Apparently they are too dumb to cancel the Work Order and just start from scratch too. I then contacted 21st Century directly knowing this is who will be coming out to do the work. They had no problem helping me, BUT were shut down by Hughes Net too. The Tech (21st Century contractor) came out and used connections that were in place already. I reached out requesting home phone again... Called back several times in the week because package never arrived... They kept telling me watch for the mail another day... Next day nothing in the mail... Repeat. After finally getting package that I apparently have to install myself... Nothing worked.

After reading their booklet several more times I realize I need more equipment for this to work... Router... Why!?? I was told the Internet box here served as both... Do Not Bother calling for Customer Service/Tech Support! Takes several tries to get through, their phones Disconnect you each time. Finally A Person! Hold Please... again... again... Oops They disconnected me again!!! They Do NOT hire those people... They hire lazy non caring non English speaking folks who have no time for you. Go Ahead Use their CHAT online service... No one is there... but they love sending daily emails, multiple ones, How Did we do? I tried requesting to Cancel... can't even do that... Stay Away From This Company! You will duplicate all of our experiences... OH And Netflix... BLURRY. Don't use anything fancy.

Since the first phone call to activate service... the installation guy did over 1000 dollars damage to my new yard by getting stuck and having to have a tow truck pull him out. I told him not to but he insisted that he does this every day and knows it cold enough to drive on, then to find out they are independents and not HughesNet's problem. Our internet service is so slow and every time I call it's 45 mins of test this and that, and all of a sudden I get disconnected! It's happened six times and no one can get me back to who I was talking to! Well tonight after 90 mins total and three calls I told them to come get their equipment and get out!!

My son got this service for our lake place. Sold the lake place and they wouldn't let him cancel. Terrible service. He paid to move the service to new house. Service too slow to load movies and can't cancel without paying a huge cancellation fee. Paying for terrible service and customer service. Was told $40 per month and over $100 per month almost $500 to cancel! Telephone service has never worked. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE ORDERING. LAST RESORT ONLY!

Worst internet service EVER. Poor customer service. We pay $150/month and cannot even stream Netflix. Using our cell phones and laptop for intermittent usage in the evenings and we use up all of our allotted bandwidth within the first 3-4 days of each month. We keep calling and they tell us that they will bump us up to a faster speed but they never do. I have asked for a technician to come out and adjust the dish and check the signal, but no one ever shows up. Very dissatisfied. We will be dropping service as soon as our contract is up.

Horrible is all I can say. I am not the angry type and in fact, I am very tolerant but Hughes Net is a predatory and IMO, fraudulent internet service provider that I do not wish on my enemy. It's a curse that can break up your marriage. Very, very, very bad service. If they say 10, they probably mean 0.10. If they say up, look down. Only thing you can do with their prehistoric devices they put in your house is download an update over 4 days. And that is fast to them. A little wind and your internet is out. You are better off with a DSL and a 1940 landline. I was with them for 1 year plus. I had no choice but to go through the pain. Only to find out when I wanted to cancel that they had newer equipment. The guy I spoke with after a 30-minute hold tried to lure me into staying by telling me they are newer equipment.

My jaw dropped cos had I not called, I wouldn't know this but still, I didn't forget the hype the equipment I got from them got and realized it was a ploy to get me hooked. They are a terrible company. I felt like I had to be so nice to cancel or else, he would put me on another 30-minute hold and hang up deliberately knowing I would be discouraged to call back. They punish you when they sell you this very bad service. You can get depressed during the time you have the service and then they punish you when you want out and tell you you owe an outrageous amount that isn't consistent with what you were told in the beginning. I just said "FINE!! CANCEL!"

First, let it be known that I called HughesNet Customer Service on numerous occasions about the one main issue: My 10 gigs of data quite literally drained at an impossibly high rate, which even Customer Support attested to as abnormal, yet we could find no reason for it. Another contributing factor of my exasperation: Nine times out of ten the person I was attempting to converse with was not a native-English speaker (from the Philippines? India?), and it was EXTREMELY difficult and frustrating to understand what they were saying to me, and also to get them to understand the reason for my calls. Sometimes I had to ask them to spell words they were mispronouncing.

One night I got incredibly lucky and spoke with a Texas agent who advised me in the future to just hang up if I could not understand the agent and keep calling back until I reached someone whom I could converse with. That's actually one of the most annoying things about calling Customer Service. This Letter of Dispute could include a VERY LENGTHY enumeration of each contact (with dates and reference numbers) when I phoned for support, running various tests on modem and router (problems began the first day of service), keeping detailed notes following each rep's instructions. One tech agent was convinced my service was being hacked, so I changed usernames and passwords often as he requested. It made no difference.

My EVERY call was trying to solve ONE problem: I paid each month (August 16 through November 15) for 10 gigs of "data" which HughesNet's own webpage advertisement claims should be enough for, I quote, "hundreds of hours of browsing time". So, Imagine my surprise, beginning the first few days when I literally watched my 10 gigabytes (shown on their graph) was draining away at the rate of about 1 gig every hour! OF COURSE, I CALLED IMMEDIATELY. And I CONTINUED to call each and EVERY time I logged on!!!

To help you better understand the situation's context, I am a single 62 year old retired teacher who lives alone in my home in a rural area. I care for my elderly parents who live next door -- 84 yr old mom who has dementia, and 97 yr old dad who has mild Alzheimer's. I do not have a lot of free time. I have never had an interest in downloading music, never "streamed" movies, no security cameras, etc. My customary online habits are simply checking my bank account and browsing a few sites for information, spending an average of maybe six hours a week online. My grown children live six hours away (we do NOT Skype). They told me I would never need more than 5 gigs a month, but I opted to get 10 just in case.

So, bearing in mind that I did not spend even 10 hours online a week max, would it seem logical that I literally used up all 10 gigs the first five days of the month??! And it happened EACH month! It made NO SENSE!! And what was I to do the next three weeks?? EVERY time, when I called Customer Service, I was ALWAYS told the SAME comforting information, "Oh, no you would NEVER use 10 gigs just browsing a few hours a week"! Yet, no one -- no matter whom I spoke with nor what tests we ran -- could account for the way my data mysteriously was disappearing in front of OUR eyes!!

The nice Texas lady stayed online with me for over four hours one night. I cried as I saw my last four gigs go down the drain as we talked troubleshooting but I told her at 11:30 pm I could not stay at the computer any longer that night. We were no closer to finding an answer. She said "I will add 10 more gigs, don't worry." But I knew it would be gone just as quickly.

I wanted the SOLUTION!!! The CAUSE of the problem to be found!!! Everyone's "answer" was just to "give" me more tokens or gigs of data to spend -- AFTER 11 pm is the HughesNet policy. That might be great for kids, but it was NEVER a solution for me! I have to be up at dawn! Because of the frustration, the anxiety, I did not even want to turn my computer on! And, by the way, they had told me the first week to always turn the computer off. That's NOT something I've ever had to do before! That's when most programs update and back up but I turned mine off, as I was instructed.

I want you to know that I have used five other internet service providers in different towns since 1996. I even have a history of helping other teachers troubleshoot at schools. I am NOT a "newbie", nor am I am techie nerd. I am just an average person who expected to pay my monthly fee and have the usual experience, free of most problems using my service. Instead, by the end of three months of this insanity, I had became emotionally distressed, having migraine headaches more than twice a week just at the thought that I really needed to get online even for a minute!! I was so tense, so frustrated! And dealing with these foreign customer service reps I could not talk to easily certainly added to the predicament!! I would find myself screaming at them out of frustration!! That's something I had NEVER done my whole life!

It was the stupidity of the whole situation and having to recount each time, trying to make them understand to LOOK at my PREVIOUS calls!!! And yet EVERY ONE of them quoting the same phrase reassuring me "there WAS a problem and we would try the SAME test AGAIN" for the 10th time, expecting different results! They totally agreed how WRONG it was that my gigs of data were literally disappearing, yet NO ONE had a solution! It was ALWAYS like that. Starting OVER again each time I called! I asked for a supervisor, but was told "there are none". NO OTHER PERSON "up the chain of command" I could complain to??? THAT makes NO SENSE!! I wanted to call the President of HughesNet, and ask him--"TELL the TRUTH. Would YOU put up with the service or lack of that I was being forced to endure??? I don't think so."

So, finally, after weeks of this insane frustration with no solution in sight, I knew I had NO CHOICE. I could not mentally and emotionally keep going through this ridiculous routine paying my monthly fee, but getting to use the computer only ONE WEEK out of the month. By the way, I did explain my issue. I was quite vocal, venting my frustrations several times on the Community Page, once I discovered how to get to it. I learned there were so MANY other customers having similar horrible experiences with HughesNet. When customers pay for a product or a service they have an expectation to receive what they are promised, and to have the company resolve issues in a timely manner. That is NOT what happened for me, nor hundreds of other dissatisfied customers paying for HughesNet services. There has been a breach of good faith. This company is the one who did NOT uphold their end of the bargain.

Recently a television commercial aired that seems such a wonderful analogy of my situation. The commercial has a pizza boy deliver the family's order--but only 8 slices of pizza are in the box instead of the entire pizza that the customer ordered and paid for. That's the way I feel. I never got what I paid for, month after month, no matter how much I complained. When people sign up with an ISP, they expect to turn on their computer and have great service. Others, like myself, are BUSY and do NOT expect, nor should they be required to spend HOURS trying to troubleshoot. Most people do not even have the expertise to know how to run all the tests that I was told I should do installing apps, etc. is what one helper on the Community Page suggested. I paid for a service, I never anticipated such a never ending disaster.

ANOTHER Point of Contention: On August 15, 2016 I paid HughesNet $168.98 for installation of satellite and modem. I paid the first monthly bill for 10 gigs of internet service each month for $59.00 (plus taxes) which came to over $83. That was NOT what I expected! Then, they debited my account another $20.86 on August 18, 2016 without even notifying me first. I called Customer Service and was told it was an "adjustment". On August 22, 2016 I called Customer Service asking about the REBATE I was promised on the phone when I called to set up my service and installation. (I had to wait almost three weeks for installation.) Again, I could barely understand because of the foreign accent, but I swear she said I would receive information about it when my satellite was installed. Well, I asked the installer the day he set up the equipment, but he knew nothing about a rebate, and said to call Customer Support.

What a JOKE! I should have seen the handwriting on the wall, and cancelled service right then. But, I truly hoped all would work out well even though I also was having trouble getting online that first night. Again, I could barely understand the agent, but I followed her instructions. *Reference # **. I have excellent credit because I pay my bills on time. I have never before had an issue like this, but I absolutely refuse to pay a single penny more to HughesNet. I paid a lot more than I should have for service I was promised but never received.

My name's Adam and I'm 24. I'm your average person nowadays who browses Facebook, watches Youtube, and occasionally streams media (WWE Network in my case.) It is just.. so bad. Like it's all I can get out here but it runs so slow. So let me bullet point things to explain concisely WHY it's so bad.

- Normal websites like Facebook, Google, etc work okay I guess. Facebook runs pretty slow and videos will lag. If you send pictures in messages they take about a good 15 seconds to send.

- Youtube. Forget about 720, 480 is about as good as it will get unless you're willing to sit there and wait.. and wait. Currently I'm actually having to PRE-LOAD a 480p video. Just sad.

- WWE Network. Wow. Okay like WWE Network autoloads at 720 generally, so Live streaming their PPV events and shows is impossible, they will lag so bad that you'll just wanna cry. Stopping and starting in bad quality some 30 seconds later.

- PSN. SLOW. Trophies take a good while to load, Playstation Store takes a while, don't even think about downloading games unless you're willing to suffer with no internet the rest of the month basically as most games will take your whole 50 GB allowance (Assuming you bought the 50GB/50GB package like I did). Trust me I did this with Batman Arkham Knight whenever my PS4 wasn't accepting discs. Downloaded the game, and didn't realize that it was 50GB and there went all of my data and then some.

In conclusion. Try BroadbandQWireless, try Uverse, try UnlimitedVille. PLEASE I IMPLORE YOU DO NOT GET HUGHESNET. If my review saves at least ONE person from the horrible decision of choosing HughesNet as their service provider (and their horrible 24-month contract for their horrible service) then I can sleep well at night.

Horrible customer service, not even installed yet! I contacted Hughes for internet service 2 months ago. The first time the installer came to my home, after taking a 1/2 day off work because I can't get a commitment window of less than 3 hours, I was told that I won't be able to VPN using G4 Equipment that the sales person on the phone oversold me. No worries in a few weeks G5 was coming out, just call, cancel this order and ask for the upgrade. I wait 3 weeks, call again, ask for the upgrade, told how much better I will like it. Another half day off work, 20 minutes after the installers were scheduled I receive a call that my order still shows the old equipment and they knew I wanted the new equipment. I need to call and cancel again and set up a new time for another 3 weeks out.

Now mind that I spent $2500 for online classes and need service in the next week. I call to cancel, I keep getting sent from department to department no one can fix my order. I ask continually for a supervisor. Finally after several hours I get one, I explain that I can't sit on hold any longer it's been hours. Please correct and call me when you have resolution. She calls me back, puts me on hold AGAIN then puts me through to another salesperson who doesn't even have my account information. I asked them to just cancel my order and forget it. Not going through this with them again.

No confirmation of a cancellation, so far no refund of the $165 they took and I still have no internet service. Thanks for nothing HughesNet! I emailed their customer service and received a response telling me to call the same sales number I just spent hours on the phone with. I guess I will wait to see if the refund comes, if not I will carve out another half day of my life to try and recoup my losses. After reading reviews thankful we didn't get installed, guess it could be much worse!

I wish I had read a number of these reviews before I ever signed up with this service. I used them successfully for 3 years and signed a paper that they could take the payments out of my account. Big mistake. This was a summer home (in the boonies of WV) and there was only one other company as their competition. I was a very good customer. All my payments were on time, etc. I cancelled about 6 months ago as I was selling the home, and they sent me a box to mail their parts to them. They didn't mention any outside parts. I did and they put me with a collection agency for the outside parts. After I had moved from the state all I had was phone communication. After much talking one of their people agreed to send someone for the stuff and take everything off the collection.

Weeks later the collection agency called, saying they had no notification from Hughes, etc. I called them again and now they are threatening to take money directly from my checking. I told them I was already out of state and anyhow I was 82 and could not climb the pole to get their stuff... It just continued from there and I may have to sue them. I did not know if I signed a paper that they could collect money from my account that they could keep doing it forever! I am beside myself and don't know what to do!!!

I signed up with HughesNet hoping to get the fast download speeds they advertised. Just two months into the service I lost service and was told I would have to pay to have someone come out, even though I purchased the warranty. They told me they would waive the fee and a tech came out. I got my internet back, but at very SLOW speeds... 3-6 Mbps. I called them and was told I had to do a speed test, which I did... very slow. I called them again since I didn't hear back and was told I had to do a speed test again... slow speed and I was on the phone with them for over an hour. I was told they would call me back.

Due to work it makes it hard to call them, and it was three months later before I was able to stay on the phone long enough to get someone to talk to. I was AGAIN told I had to do a speed test. I told them I would not do another speed test and that they needed to fix this problem. I was told they would send someone out, but that I would have to pay. I refused, as this is an ongoing problem that they have not fixed. I told them that they either needed to fix the problem or cancel my service. They then decided to do the right thing and send someone out. Hopefully they fix it this time. I would not recommend that ANYONE go with HughesNet.

We ordered Hughes Net internet service in December 2016. Unfortunately, we live in a rural area and the service never worked properly. After just a few days they said that we had already reached our data limit but they assured us that all would be fine because we could just use our internet in the middle of the night during off peak hours. That would've been a great solution except for the fact that my husband and I both have day jobs and our children are in school so they aren't allowed to surf the web at 3 am.

After a couple of weeks of this we decided to cancel. After spending what felt like forever on the phone they finally agreed to let us cancel. They said that they would be sending us a box so that we can send back their equipment. We agreed. After a couple of weeks I noticed that I had over $300 deducted from my account. I called them and they said that it was because we hadn't sent back the equipment. I told them that we had never received the boxes. They checked their records and they came to the conclusion that the box had been mailed back to sender because of an invalid address.

So they knew we never received the boxes and they never reached out to us. They just decided to deduct the money out of my account without any notice. I finally received the new box and sent back their product a week ago. I called today to see when I could expect my refund and the lady informed me that it would be another 4 to 6 weeks! RIDICULOUS!!! This company is a joke and I would steer clear!! We went with Air Link Internet and LOVE it!!

Do not use this service. Very expensive. Bad customer service. I had to pay 3 years of bad service because I signed a contract I couldn't get out of without paying a large cancellation fee. Finally I'm free of their service. They were very rude when I disconnected my service. Hopefully anyone that thinks of getting this service reads all the complaints first. I wish I would have.

Me and my girlfriend currently have HughesNet service and are very displeased with our current standard package. The high speed internet they say they sell is very falsified and is complete garbage. You cannot watch videos and it takes very long to load all pages for $80 dollars a month and an allowance for your internet time. The company has horrible customer service. The tech that installed our satellite said they will be getting new satellites that run 20Mbps of speed standard. As of April whatever of 2017 no price change each month to go from 5Mbps what we have to the 20.

When we have called to make an appointment to get the upgrade installed they say you will have an activation fee of 90 or so dollars. As I stated above the technician said no price change each month and this is an experienced technician by the way as he stated to me. But HughesNet would like to charge you $90 while I overpay for horrible internet service that I already have. Can anyone say scam.

The reason I wrote this review and I never write reviews is because the internet service I had previous was Time Warner Cable. They provide a great internet service. I had a 25Mbps package for $80 a month no allowance on high speed internet. It was very high speed and could use all the internet I'd like with no allowance and had no issues playing videos loading anything. It was a great experience.

Now I currently have these scammers with a 5Mbps for internet speed for $80 a month. Was promised a bill of 60 something dollars when we received the service to begin this process through DirecTV and their package deal. Also another scam to lookout for through DirecTV and HughesNet first bill was over 100 something dollars. My girlfriend and I are looking to get rid of these scammers as soon as possible. DO NOT PURCHASE. Highly advise others to do so as well. Other high speed internet services like the one I stated above you will be getting a fair deal if not a great deal.

Hughes Net is a horrible, money-hungry company. I've had trouble with them since day one, they missed my installation appointment. They do not care about their customers, with one exception, they are available 24/7 to "understand your concerns." Their internet doesn't work half the time or it's super slow. If you call them every three months they will give you "credit" so you pay a cheaper monthly fee but then it goes right back up until you call again.

When I moved out of state, they told me to only bring the modem, once I got here they told me I couldn't have internet at my new home, they then started charging my bank card for months of service that I didn't use. When I noticed and called them about it they charged me an early termination fee. I was upset and this didn't seem fair but now they are trying to charge me for a piece of equipment on the satellite that I have no access to. They are crooks and I would advise everyone to stay away from this company. There are far better options out there!

So I Had two Bad experiences and thought by now they got it right. Nope. It is the fact that we are not wanting a bad report to be put against us on our credit that we even consider not ignoring these people and pay the price. I am in country and Verizon was running over 400 a month most of all for the internet portion of my bill. So when I heard that Gen four was all about the fix they needed I bit into it. Knowing the sales team would wine and dine for my business I was sure to confirm download speeds and cost and thought I got the best based on the conversation. So I paid upfront for the dish for the third time. Set the install day and there it was the new Gen 4.

Tech told me had a great ping and was expecting at least the minimum I requested. Nope the actual download speed and how fast a ping was to some other state were two different things. Was promised a reset in 20 days. Nope. After a month went by and they auto drew my account it was at best slow for a day then back to the crawl that would not even allow me to write this review. So today shortly after my first payment I tried to cancel. 15 Minutes of trying to talk me out of it and here it came. 400 bucks, plus a month in advance and I could not take it anymore and hung up. Why is the Attorney General not stepping in? Is it that they never got HughesNet? Certainly someone has made some headway with this company. Like to see some post to that effect or wondering if I am just in the club...

I live in a rural area where satellite Internet is about the only option for home Internet service. I decided to try Hughes Net, so I went on their website, entered my zip code and was attracted by the advertisement for their first time customer prime plus package for 24 months at $49.99 (+2.75 tax). I had service installed on 05/27/2015. They want to automatically debit your credit card or bank account for your monthly payments. If you want a paper bill, they will charge you an extra $5/month. This was a bit of a red flag for me. I usually don't trust auto pay options and it makes it much harder to handle any billing discrepancies. But I ended up allowing them to auto charge my credit card. As far a billing goes, everything was fine until 09/2015. I checked my credit card statement and they charged me $59.99 for my service.

I called customer service and the representative tried to tell me that my home area was not covered by the $49.99/month offer that they sold to me. I complained that this was false advertising and had the representative go to the website and punch in my zip code. Sure enough the same promotion for $49.99/month for 24 months popped up. He said there was some sort of mix up on their end with the promotional rates and billing cycles, so they credited my account for the next 11 months with a $10 discount to bring the price back down to $49.99. Beginning in September 2016, they began to charge me $63.29 (+ tax), for my monthly service (equating to an extra $10.55/month). Unfortunately, I didn't catch this mistake until March 2017. So, they changed my rates again and I overpaid for 6 months.

I again called customer service and reminded them that I signed up for the $49.99/month plan for 24 months, which should expire in May 2017. The representative told me that the $49.99 plan was only valid for 12 months, which again is in conflict with their original advertisement for 24 months. When I complained for a second time that I was unhappy with this rate increase and that they are falsely advertising their packages, the representative made it seem like I didn't understand the terms and conditions of the agreement and it wasn't any mistake on their end. They would not refund the money I overpaid, but they said they would credit my account $10 for the next 3 months to bring the payment back down to $49.99.

I am very disappointed in how Hughes Net conducts business. I feel like I was scammed by false advertisement and then I had no notification or justification when my rates went up unexpectedly. With the auto pay deduction, the money is taken out of your account before you even know and they won't give your money back to you. Word of advice if you are considering Hughes Net, watch your bills closely and keep close records of any calls that you have with customer service.

In addition to billing disputes, the service did not work well in our home. Speeds were very slow and much worse if two devices were connected at once. We also had an issue where we completely lose signal and had to have a technician come out to the house and examine our dish and equipment. He told us that our dish had shifted and lost signal and then charged us a $180 service fee for re-aligning our dish. I was not aware that a dish can move over time and that expensive services calls are required to realign it. Overall, I am not happy with Hughes Net and would not recommend their service.

I call to complain a few days after receiving Hughes Net services. The services are complete garbage. They begged me to another month trial. I agreed. I went out and purchased another router in what was recommended. My trial ended on the 18th of March. I called today to end services. The phone hangs up. I call back a second time. The rep hangs up again. I wasn't irate nor mean. Now it the 3rd time I begin recording them. It took a total of 6 times to get a cancellation. One of the reps gonna tell me she couldn't locate my account after I mention Canceling my services. Apparently this is their business practices. Why would you put any human through this. Shameful.

Tony and I got Hughes Net because according to their commercials they are suppose to be so reliable and affordable. On March first our month started. On March 4th they said we used all our data for the month!! We have made numerous calls to them in the 2 months we had their service and each time they blamed our equipment and suggested we go buy all new equipment. The equipment we had was already new!! We finally told them to cancel our service because they did not deliver on their end of the deal. We also told them to cease auto drafts. They did. But hit our bank account for nearly 400 dollars first. Then told us we have to take all the equipment down and ship it to them. WHAT??? I wish we could give them 0 stars. I cannot express enough... STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
  • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
  • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
  • Best for Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Compare Internet Service Providers