Hughes Network Systems

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Have had it for a couple months and haven't had any speed above 0.65 download speed, Man Tenn is a tough state for receiving internet!!! Dial up was faster in 96 than this is now! It's so tough to live without internet but that's what we're about to do!

I signed up for 2 years at Hughes Net for their WiFi to stream my Fire Stick and DirecTV are the ones that sent me to Hughes Net. When talking to the rep. at Hughes Net he told me that it would NEVER BUFFER. Oh that was the biggest lie ever. I can't watch anything on demand or my Fire Stick without it buffering the whole movie about every 2 minutes. And DirecTV told me Internet would only be $50 a month and that was another lie. There is a $14.99 fee every month with that $50 charge. Making it $64.99 for the Internet that is nothing but crap. I have called Hughes Net 3 times and they tell me stuff like. – “You have too many devices running,” so I turn them off. It still isn't any better and then they say, “Turn off all your HD settings and use standard TV.”

Still no better. If you try to cancel the Internet there is a very large early termination fee. Of $400 or more depending how long you have had Hughes Net. I wish there was something I could do to get rid of this crappie Internet. Hughes Net doesn’t care if the Internet works or not just as long as they get their $64.99 a month. Please please if you’re considering getting Hughes Net please please DON'T. THEY ARE TRASH and do not stand by what they say. DON'T TRUST THEM. GET IT IN WRITING. I promise you will be calling them back because of some issue with the internet. HUGHES NET IS BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH.

I tried to sign up for Hughes Net. Having read other reviews I'm glad I failed. But what happened is just about the dumbest thing I have ever experienced. You can't order when you want to, they require you to wait for them to call you. They wait more than a week to call you. They call at times like 9:30 PM and 4:00 AM (both happened to me). When they call it's to put you immediately on hold. I waited half an hour before giving up.

What in the dreaming heavens is going on here! I'm waiting for someone to pop out and tell me I'm on a Prank's show. This is unreal. In an age where I can order anything in seconds and have it delivered hours later to my door. This kind of service is insane. How do they have any customers?! It's impossible to even sign up and they make failing to pay them any money horrible! How... What?! Seriously if Ashton Kutcher pop up I'll just be happy it's over. They keep calling me at bizarre times of the day about every 9-11 days. Then they won't talk to me! I can't even make the calls stop because they won't talk to me!

When Hughes net sold me a 5.0 internet service they didn't mention your computer has to be set up to get 5.0. When I was not getting 5.0 they said my computer probably couldn't get it and I should look it up on the internet. I called my computer company and they said that my computer was set up for 5.0. Then Hughes net said that my computer had to be close to their modem to get 5.0. The installer had used another companies' wiring to install the modem upstairs when I only use my computer downstairs. By the way I am a 72 year old invalid. I told this to Hughes net and demanded a correct installation. They said they would put in an order to correct the installation. After more calls, the installer called me and said "Oh, this is supposed to be for free? I have to check with Hughes net".

After several more calls to Hughes net they offered to give me the number of the installer. I called that number and was told "We are just the intermediate, I'll give you the number of the installer". I called the installer twice and left a message but no call back. I have the impression that he has no intention of correcting the installation because it is supposed to be for free. After another week I called Hughes net again and explained the whole situation for the third time (their case number they give you does not help, you have to tell the whole story again.) I called Hughes again and was given the same numbers of the technician to call. So once again the runaround. I will keep calling.

At the beginning of August, I ordered Hughesnet as I was promised high speed internet that's a joke. First of all, I got charged for the 20GB before I even got the service installed. Installation was done yesterday at 1:10 p.m., it took the installers 2 hours and then he indicated that he was having trouble setting up the router. That should have been my first clue how bad this service is. Tried to connect and keep a connection with DirecTV and it kept disconnecting. So we cannot even use it for DirecTV to download movies, much less Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Even sitting 2 ft away from the router and trying to go to Amazon on my tablet, it took over 1 minute to even fully load the page. It's worse than dial up! I contacted them after 1 hour and 6 minutes, they indicated that they would escalate the issue to their other department and would call me in 2 days. All of this happened within 4 hours of installation. Needless to say I'm trying to get out of this ridiculous excuse of a service! Do not get this service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

We had Gen 4 and couldn't watch movies. Many issues with kicking out. Upgraded to Gen 5 and was on phone very frequently with Hughes Net due to poor service. If it is cloudy you cannot stream movies! Buyers beware... Very poor service... It is worse than dial up!

After two months of trying to get online through HughesNet I quit. The service is not available from about 7 pm through midnight. Despite numerous phone calls to customer service no resolution was found. The excuses I got and the stupid stuff they tried to tell me to do to correct the problem nothing worked, supervisors and engineers were promised to call but they never did. Now they want to charge me 400.00 for breaking the contract. I don't care, I am not paying and they are getting their dish back this Friday. This is a predatory, lying and incompetent business. I highly recommend you just keep looking elsewhere for internet service because they sure don't provide it.

We changed our internet provider to Hughesnet 2 months ago as they "guaranteed" speed of 25 download. We have yet to get that or any service at all. I work from home and unable to access reports, our home security system is no longer working, etc and we purchased the largest plan we were able to. We've called numerous times and have been on the phone for literally over 2 hours each time. Several times the call has gotten "disconnected" and in those instances, have not received a call back. Each time they point to the weather as to why we aren't getting service. We also have satellite tv which rarely has a disruption in service. We are going to log a complaint with the Attorney General as they are fraudulently charging for a service that they clearly cannot provide which is also a breach of contract. I wish we would have done more research prior to signing a contract.

Don't ever call these people unless you are ready to be harassed. I called a year ago in hopes they would be cheaper than the local place. They were not. They were more expensive. I kept getting calls for months even though I told them I was not interested and asked them to remove me from their list. They started sending mail every other day, called back and asked to stop. They didn't. Called again a month later and they promised they would stop. Nope they still are sending crap. All they did was take my name off of it. Now they are calling my house phone. Seriously if you want these problems and you didn't even sign up then have fun and good luck. Worst company and worst customer service ever.

I do not write reviews, however in the case of Hughes net, I will make an exception. I live in the rural section of South Eastern Indiana. When I moved up here, I wanted to re-establish my home telephone service with AT&T as I had been a customer with them for several years. That is when my nightmare began, AT&T does not service this area. I wound up going with Hughes Net, as I also wanted WiFi. I purchased my own equipment from them and the installer came to put it in. I am now stuck in a two year contract with them that I was not told about as well as service that is out more than in! I have tried to call and complain, however I keep getting someone in a far away country that has very little concept of the English language! Every time it rains, or lately just the forecast of rain it goes out!

I quit calling to complain as it does no good, and can only wait until the two years is up to cancel. DO NOT ENTER INTO ANY DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY! Read the reviews, I wish I had, but I got in a hurry, and now am paying dearly for it! My bill was supposed to be under $100 a month since I bought my own equipment! Wrong exceeds that every month!

Ordered satellite internet service with Hughes Net on July 25, 2017... The installation was scheduled for July 29 between 2-5 pm... at 4:30 the service technician called to say he was across town and backed up with 2 customers ahead of me... so we agreed to reschedule for Monday, July 31 8-11 am... However, once again he failed to show...

I called Hughes Net customer service and was informed the technician was off that day... After some discussion, a service rep rescheduled the appt for Thursday, August 3... she also provided a reference number which would give my account a $20 discount for the next 6 months... However, no technician arrived for that day either... so at 1 pm the next day (Friday) I decided to find out what had happened with my order, but checked my email before doing so... an email had been sent from the company at 12:48 pm confirming my cancellation...

I called the company and informed them that I was unaware of any such cancellation... After checking on the matter, it was learned that a service technician had come out to my place of residence and determined there was no line-of-site to place the dish and had therefore canceled the order... no notice of any kind had been left to inform me of this decision... one item of note, a satellite dish had previously occupied a space right next to the porch! At the moment, an accounting rep has assured me I can expect funds to be returned to my account on August 10 2017... Between the sly tactics of the signup agent to hike up the charges and the unreliable installation technicians, this one disreputable company!!

HughesNet advertises fast internet speeds but truth is they are slowing than most other providers. Customer service is horrible. I went onto my dashboard to find out when my first bill would be due and the amount. There was a bill showing due on the 15th of the following month so I marked my calendar it was due by 15th. Then I get an auto debit come out of my account on the 1st. I call customer service and asked why they took the money 2 weeks early. They say my bill is due on the 1st. I tell them the website says the 15th. The rep proceeds to tell me I have till the 15th to pay but my bill is due on the 1st of the month. I said, "Then shouldn't your website say my payment is due on the 1st. It makes no sense to have it show the 15th." I stopped the auto pay and told them I will pay it online every month that I did not want them to have access to my bank anymore.

Several months later, I found myself out of work and called them to say I would be late with a payment but needed the service to look for work. They sounded like they were willing to work with me but then got my service turned off and I got a box in the mail with a letter telling me to send their equipment back. The next month I get a letter from a collection agency telling me I owe for unreturned equipment and cancellation fees. I did not cancel. Why do I owe fees. I returned the equipment but I am still being billed the cancel fees for early termination. What a racket they are running there. Buyer beware.

I was lucky to not become a customer. I called to inquire about the service and I clearly said that once I was done inquiring, I needed to call the condo association to make sure that it was allowed to have the dish. I specifically asked many times if the credit card would be charged. The rep said no until the service was in place. A few minutes later there was a charge on the account. I tried calling back and it literally took me 2 hours to cancel the service, I went through about 4 or people to do that. I was finally assured that it was cancelled. I Googled the provider and read all the reviews here and I saw that a few customers were struggling to cancel. although I had nothing installed I still called to make sure. The rep said that my account was active and in progress, I am so glad I read all these reviews. Hoping that it will be cancelled tomorrow.

I live in the country and have subscribed to satellite internet service during my 14 years of living in rural United States. Unfortunately, satellite is the only option that provides the fastest internet service. During these years, the majority of my time has been spent with HughesNet and it's unfortunately never been a positive experience. My latest experiences have been related to my recent upgrade to Gen 5. I've had multiple issues that are directly and indirectly related to the service. None of which tech support has been able to resolve, after numerous hours on the phone. I have yet to talk personally to a level 2 support person. They said I would need to contact Home Support for an additional fee but agreed to waive the fee. They ensured me I could get my issues resolved so I was transferred. Once talking to this 3rd party vendor, I was told they could not support me for the issues I was experiencing. ANOTHER BRICK WALL.

In my 30+ years in IT, I've never experienced such a low level of customer service. They have nothing but excuses. While I understand I have a few extra things at my home that could complicate my environment, I'm still floored they will not even make an attempt. I've built a reputation of providing excellent customer service, which is why I've survived in this industry for so long. As soon as another option is available in my area, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

Our experience with Hughes Net has been very disappointing. We had slow internet service and about 50% of the time the Internet did not work. I called their customer service and Technical Support number about 6 times. Each time, all they wanted to do was to sell me Gen 5 without trying to resolve my current issues. I did not want to upgrade to Gen 5 as then my 2 year contract would them would start all over again. They would not agree to send out a technician to look at my service without a $125 fee. Not only was the Internet service slow and unreliable but their support via phone was awful. I would give them a 0 if I could.

I ordered Hughes.Net service 7/10. Service was scheduled for 7/13. I informed Hughes that Satellite access would be difficult as both Direct and Dish were unable to obtain access. Still, they wanted to make the attempt. I wanted assurance that if no access was available, I would get a refund. They assured me that was the case. Unfortunately, I did not obtain it in writing.

The installer was very cooperative but indicated there was no way to obtain access because of a large, thick stand of pine trees. He assured me there would be a refund. I called Hughes requesting a refund and have been jacked around ever since. As of July 30th, no refund. They have had several people call me and say they really want to help but there has been no refund. Now they are having another installer trying to set up an appt to try again. I want the service but believe the initial installer as I crawled around the roof with him and he informed me there was no way. I would recommend one get a written statement whereby a refund will be provided if no access to the satellite.

You will regret subscribing to Hughes Internet! Please do not make the same mistake we made. We began internet service on June 23, 2017. The majority of the time we cannot stream anything, we cannot watch a movie without getting an error message, we cannot open a file in email, we cannot open a website, and the list goes on and on. When we do have service it's painfully slow. When I've contacted customer service they've told me that our internet is working and there is nothing more they can do for us. Since we've only used their service for a month we would have to pay them $400 to leave Hughes Internet.

How can they consider this to be acceptable??? We are paying for a service that we cannot use most of the time!!! The last couple of days I tried to chat online with customer service and several times I got a message that I'm not authorized on my own account. How can a company get away with charging me for a service that they can't provide? This is so frustrating!!! Is there a lemon law for internet service providers? I want my money back. They should have to pay me.

We subscribed to Hughes Net about two months ago and now regret it. We subscribe to the 50 gb and two weeks later we apparently used all of the data. From the beginning, the sales department told us many lies about the services. They even told us that we would be responsible for any technical issues at the cost of $300.00 per service call (they want extra money monthly - services contract). We were being billed by Frontier Communications and asked who they were and they told us that they were only to troubleshoot for viruses at $12.99 per month.

When we signed up the rep told us that he could have $100.00 sent to us for switching. The first bill came in and the rep was clueless about the $100.00 and stated we do not issue credits or checks. On top of all of the technical issues and useless people from overseas the supervisors don't return calls. This is month three and we still have throttle issues two weeks into the monthly cycle. We will be moving to a new home shortly and Hughes Net will not be coming with us. This company will NEVER get my money again for they cannot perform. I will be filing a complaint with the FCC about this company and hope that the government slaps a huge fine or shuts them down!!!

I live on the coast in central California and have limited ISP that can provide consistent service which was the reason for changing over to Hughes... They notified me thru advertisement they were now providing service in my area that would be significantly better than other providers. It has been two months and have never been more disappointed... Constant issues with intermittent service and constant buffering.

Just spent almost hour on the phone with technical service and what I learned was even more disappointing. I discontinued cable 1 year ago in exchange for streaming the few desired programs/movies/series I enjoy, which requires data... My mistake for not fully understanding the $75 a month charge only covers 20 hours a month of movies/program screening. This defeats the purpose of discontinuing cable to save on cost if I have to now increase to a plan that is being proposed for almost twice the cost.

They recommended I upgrade to 50mbps which provides no guarantee I will have enough data for the full month unless.... (And this part is even more disappointing) I shut down or disable internet on all devices each morning before leaving work... So now we are being asked to micro manage a service that cost quite a bit more for less data than I previously had.... Which had a few disruptions but nothing like the Hughes service. Discontinuing after two short months of poor service will cost almost $400. So in short I am giving the company 30 more days for the maximum data package, paying an increased monthly fee to verify if things improve, as they claim. If the service doesn't I plan to discontinue service but will do my best to inform other consumers to beware.

Customer satisfaction is of little concern to this company but in time it will surely catch up to them... Hughes is a good example of how a company can and will continue to take advantage of customers who may not fully understand how little service their data plans truly allow for (stream time hours vs mbps). They lock you into a 2 year contract with little regard for customer satisfaction.... Once you sign the contract very little can be done but pay the termination fee BUT... What can we do about it... Continue informing consumers, and LET'S HOPE HUGHES IS ELIMINATED AS AN OPTION.

Totally hate Hughes Net!! The internet is so slow and don't even think you are going to watch a video! They charge a lot of money for their crap and it works horribly! Have to reset every couple of days. Annoying! It actually makes Frontier look good and if you have had experience with them, you know it's bad! Don't get it!! I'm on the hunt for a new service. My problem is where I am located so I don't think I will have much to choose from!

Last month I made a payment with a credit card, for this month's bills. Hughes Net Took it upon themselves to withdraw the money out of my account without my permission. My bank has frozen USENET for removing any funds out of my account because this is the third time they've done this. I mailed them a check I paid extra to have my invoices mailed to me, and I found out that he has not changed my payment date from the 25th of each month to the fifth. Yep only 10 days from the date that the invoices up to where I was supposed to have them a payment.

Spent 40 minutes on the phone for them to be kind enough to "extend" my due date back to 25th. Because of them changing my due date and saying that my account was past due I kept getting a little flag messages pop up on my Internet every time I logged on so somehow they hijacked my Internet on top of everything else. I bet you they charge me data charges for those pages. I can't get any other service where I live and I really hate them.

When I became a customer I was told download speed would be 15 mg. With occasional slower speeds. However for the last several months it goes down to.400 kb or slower between 6 and 11 pm! This makes the internet unusable EVERY night! Please don't make the same mistake I did. This company is terrible. I was recently able to talk to a level 4 tech who told me they have too many customers on the beam I am on and therefore it will probably not get better. This is unacceptable. Also they will not let you out of your contract. If you are having a similar issue file a complaint with the FCC. If enough of us do that perhaps they will be forced improve their service.

From the very beginning the service provided was a sham. I use the Internet as an average home user. I check for emails, occasionally go on eBay, or I will check the news service or weather. According to Hughes Net I was using too much data and even though I was using their meter to they said I was overusing and wanted to charge me more. I went through all their "download and upload tests" and was told it was faster than what they had agreed to so there was nothing else they could do, but they provided extra service at no charge between 2AM and 6AM. I tried getting up early to go online, but that didn't work either.

Sooo after 3 months, I bit the bullet and removed their equipment from my computer and signed up for another provider. Because I couldn't afford their $300+ disconnection fee I had to allow them to continue take the $64 a month from my account. Then in April 3 months before the end of my contract, I called them to make sure their service would be canceled on time. However, when July came not only did they not cancel the service - they added an additional $10. Their representative told me the call in April got disconnected so the cancellation was never processed and they had been giving me a $10 discount all this time and since my original contract was up I was charged the extra $10. This company is such a scam. I can't figure out how they keep getting by with it. I would happily be part of a class action suit. I CAN NOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH TO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!! You will regret it.

I was a HughesNet customer for 2 years. I was pleased with them, in the sense that the internet service was RELIABLE and ALWAYS WORKED (unlike Comcast which had only worked at most 1/4 of the time). I fulfilled my 2 year contract at $100 a month for the most data allowed. Way overpriced compared to all other providers. I loved it. I could sign up online and not have to talk to any of these nightmare rip-off hucksters. The REAL PROBLEM came recently when I tried to cancel my service. Good luck in never ending service. They wouldn't allow me to cancel online. They told me a box would arrive to send back the equipment. They wanted me to get up on the roof and disconnect the transponder or whatever it is in the satellite. A recent knee replacement preluded that, so they sent someone to do that part. The UPS prepaid postage return box was never sent.

Today I called, and there seemed to be no knowledge service had been disconnected. So we went through it all again. They said my service would be ended a month from my last payment, though I have not been hooked up with them for a month. They didn't want to give me a refund. There were MANY MANY SLEAZY delaying tactics employed. It took hours and many calls. And mention of poor reviews online on my part as well as suggestions on my part that I would be calling our very effective WA State attorney general's consumer affairs office for aid in this matter.

Person I spoke with today at HughesNet customer service (?) was Michael **. I spoke to others on earlier days. I would recommend to HughesNet that they go to an online signup and online end service program and fire all of the customer service sleazes. A lot of money will be saved for their company, and the public opinion of their company will be in high, in concert with their very reliable internet service I enjoyed.

I signed up for HughesNet when the representative promised me that it would fix my internet problems and allow me to work from home. Because my job is in another state and I work solely online, this was critical to me, and this promise was the only reason I decided to use Hughes. As soon as I tried to use the internet, the internet was too slow and despite their promises, I could not work. I lose valuable hours and income trying to use Hughes. I called several times to have them fix it and speed up service, and it never improved. Additionally, when I needed technical support, Hughes couldn't help me and I had to pay EXTRA for help. It was a nightmare.

Finally, another company (who had the honesty to tell me that they couldn't give me the speed I needed for my job) installed fiber-optic lines which drastically increased their speed, so I signed up with that company and they are doing GREAT! Despite the fact that Hughes internet didn't do what they promised and made it impossible for me to do my job, Hughes is refusing to let me out of the 2-year contract unless I pay a massive fee. This is so distressing and frustrating that a company would be so unhelpful, so misleading, and I am just wanting to warn others. Consider every option - any option! - instead of Hughes.

I am not surprised to see so many bad reviews for this crap company on this site. I have honestly never encountered such a bad product and such incompetence in my life. I signed up for HughesNet with DirecTV as part as one of their bundles. To be honest, I never would have gone for it had I known they were going to stick another friggin' dish on my roof. They used subcontractors to do the installation. They were nice enough guys, but they spent part of the time trying to sell me on other tv products that they also install. Anyway, never was I given a contract or list of services or anything to do with a cancellation policy. CUT TO: the worst internet service EVER. I couldn't get on the internet; I couldn't text; I couldn't use Netflix. It was practically useless.

Finally, after almost a month (I would have done it sooner but I was out of town for a couple of weeks), I called to cancel. BTW, I also discovered by this time that my monthly rate was actually higher than what I was quoted by the DirecTV rep. Anyway, the first rep I spoke to told me I could cancel within 30 days. For some reason, we got disconnected. When I called back, the woman I got told me that there was no 30 days cancellation and that I owed them $400. I was incredulous. I told her that not only was the product defective, but that I never received any document laying out the terms of the deal. She tried to claim that I was sent a follow-up email, but I am resolute that I never received one. I have checked my spam and every other file.

I warned the woman that I would give my bad opinion about HughesNet on every social media platform I could find, including Yelp, etc., but she didn't seem to care. This, mind you, was after I had been billed $103 and received nothing but horrible service. She also had the audacity to tell me to complain to DirecTV -- which I did -- but they claim they have nothing to do with a third party vendor. What kind of business is HughesNet running? They have since turned my bill over to a collection service. I don't care. I'm not paying them another cent. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau as well as Joel Grover and those other local news consumer divisions. You guys should do the same. Oh, and to add insult to injury, when I returned their equipment, they required me to climb up on the roof to dismantle the dish. This feels dangerous and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Unbelievable -- but par for the course with these people.

I signed up a few months ago due to billing issues with a competitor. From the beginning I stated that watching Netflix was my primary use and the service must support this. The sales associate (I say sales because I was sold a dream for sure) told me it would not be a problem. After multiple hours of playing "Hughesnet technician" for Hughesnet, I still cannot get the service to work. Even their tech support team said my speeds were terrible and much less than what would be needed for Netflix.

Last conversation I had, I requested to cancel my service. The associate said that he wanted to do more trouble shooting with me!!! I was blown away! I told him I was not spending any more time trying to make their service work. He offered to send a technician but would not even credit the bill for services I could clearly not even use. I declined and said I just wanted to be done. I apologized many times as I know these issues are not the fault of the people I was speaking to. I was courteous and polite the entire time with the associates and the culmination of this is that I deal with terrible service or pay $400 to terminate it. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET UNLESS THEY ARE THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE BESIDES DIALUP!

This HughesNet is set up to rip you off. It never works right once you sign up for a contract they got you. Their plan is to keep changes the plans and like they started with gen 3 then gen 4 now gen 5 and they want to get you to keep upgrading so you keep spending more money. All you that are on their new plane from gen 5. Get ready in about a year they will have a gen 6 and they will want you to spend more to get that and so on. Stay away from HughesNet. Find something that works good and gives you data.

When I ordered Hughes Net, the sales rep that I talked to was very helpful and everything we talked about was agreeable to me. That is, until he rattled off the terms of the contract. My total bill monthly, was to be $64.98 and absolutely no more as there are no sales taxes in the state of Oregon. He said there were also no surcharges. There was an early termination fee but he didn't know how much it was. I said that was fine as long as they charged me no more than $64.98 per month for the 2 year contract. Then, he asked for a credit card to charge the first month low fee of $14.99 total, no other charges for that month. I was happy to comply.

But, AFTER getting that card number, he finalized the sale stating that they would charge that card $64.98 monthly. I told him ABSOLUTELY no way would I allow them to do that and that we could cancel it right now if those were going to be the terms. He said no problem at all, I could talk to the billing and I wouldn't have to worry about it. He was in the US and I complimented him on Hughes Net being in the US as it is much easier to understand their speech. We set up an installation date. The installer did not arrive... We waited until 5 pm. the day he was due and missed a festival waiting for him. I finally called HughesNet and they found out that he was late and would be here at 8 pm. We had dinner plans so that wouldn't happen. We arranged the next morning.

I asked why no one called me and found out they were off by one number on my phone number. It was hard to understand her... she said she was in Asia. So much for the great American company doing business and creating jobs in America. The actual internet itself is fine and as I expected. I dislike the monster dish on my deck railing but will find a plant to cover it one day.

Two weeks after initial $14.99 charge, I was checking my bank account and noticed a $.75 charge for HughesNet. I would never use a card for $.75 and it stuck out like a sore thumb. When I called them there was some excuse about taxes or surcharges. I told them that they were not authorized to use that card, period and that when I signed up the sales rep said no problem. They informed me that there was a $5.00 invoice charge if they didn't use my card. I went round and round with them and they finally agreed not to charge my card and not to charge $5.00 invoicing fee for the first 3 months. I did not agree to that and forbid them to use that card.

I wrote a complaint to the FCC and am currently waiting for my response due any day. But, I noticed that these terribly crooked people charged my card again this month for $65.31??? I am furious and called them to complain that they were NOT to charge that card ever and I forbade them to charge it and she finally promised she had deleted the number. Do I believe that? NOPE. I have never received anything about the contract or my charges from this company.

When I tried to log onto their site, it was down. But, I was able to log into the bill pay portion and look at my bill. It stated total charges $65.31, further down it showed 00 amount for taxes. I kept researching to find out what that extra .75 was for and finally found it. HughesNet doesn't tell you about it and they don't tell you when you contact them about it. But, according to the girl that I spoke to from the Philippines today, it is a Property Tax. Now why does HughesNet charge a property tax when I pay my property tax through our county assessor. I asked for some kind of written explanation and she could not comply. She said it is a federal mandated tax... but why in the world does HughesNet collect It?

I am still very unhappy with their business practices and want a valid, written explanation for this property tax that they charge and don't tell you about... to the point of hiding it on their invoice. I worry I am dealing, once again, with a disreputable network company. It just gets worse in our country for law abiding citizens to trust anyone.

Suspended account for new house. Called to order an upgrade and showed up demanding 130 dollars never agreed to. Called and canceled service. They turn around and debited my account after I canceled, and said that they show no record of me canceling. They only willing to refund me half the amount they debited because they said they had reactivated. Mind you I still have no electric running to new house and never authorized them to reactivate service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
  • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
  • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
  • Best for Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Compare Internet Service Providers