2.54/5
Based on 3,234 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HughesNet offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

HughesNet Gallery (2)
View More View More

HughesNet Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 9, 2019

I recently had internet and phone satellite service installed at my new house. The installer was very professional and there were no issues with the installation. The only problem I am having is that I cannot send photos as attachments using either text or email using my iPhone, iPad or PC. Called tech support numerous times who could not do anything to fix the issue and informed me to contact Apple. Then after calling Apple support for my iPhone they were able to provide me with a workaround fix since the issue is with HughesNet. The only way I can send pictures is via email and include the photos within the email but not as attachments. So basically I cannot text or email anyone pictures as attachments!

I have never had this issue with any other internet service provider and was very frustrated. But at least I can send them embedded in an email now. Also, if you do get HughesNet satellite service make sure they have your name spelled right when signing up. They kept informing me they would need to send the request to upper management which is ridiculous. I had to call them numerous times until they corrected my name. Then I had to also do it on the phone side so it shows up on caller ID correctly. Sometimes the internet speed is slow to load websites but overall it is great for the rural area where I live. I still wish I could have gone with broadband service instead of satellite since the weather does slow the speed when raining or very cloudy.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a lot of problems since I have joined, but so far they have all been handled. The last two representatives were very helpful. But, I do want to know I can count on this service for my job. The first issues I had took so long to resolve and get back to me. I am concerned that if that happens while I am working I will lose the job I am applying for, and was frustrated that I had to continually reschedule my job interview. The issue was not the fault of the people who helped me— but service would be better if you could resolve issues with less delay. I understand that everything is just now getting set up, and am hoping things will smooth out. But I was ready to switch services earlier today because of the number of issues I have had and the problems it has caused in my job interview process. Thankfully, the issue today was minor and the representative handled it quickly and also taught me what to do in the future.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Added a new version of outlook as a cloud installation on my laptop and had trouble connecting to Hughes.Net. I had two of your agents help me with the problem and both of them were very professional and were helpful. The problem was a bit more complicated than most and the first gentlemen got me set up so I could access hughes net and the second lady got me so I could email and send and receive. Both were pleasant, patient with someone who was trying to solve a new problem with my computer. But as usual with your support teams, they both worked very hard to solve the problem and in the end I am now all set up with my email working properly on my laptop and my cell phone. So give both of them thanks and I always tell folks to get your service because you have very good support and always solve my problem. Thanks so much to both of them. Ruby

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called Hughes Net today feeling rather bewildered about removing the Radio from the dish on the roof. I am well over 60 years of age and knew I could not easily remove the part without serious injury. The 1st agent was so professional and kind. She understood my dilemma, checked with a supervisor, and then brought resolve to the perplexing problem. I did not get her name, unfortunately.

I had to call back to Hughes Net when I realized I did not know what to do with the remaining now useless dish on the roof. This time the agent by the name of Desiree helped me. She was as kind and professional as the 1st agent. Ms. Desiree smartly gave me the number of the office of the Technicians. He in a fine way after asking a few pertinent questions gave me information that surely saved everyone from wasted time and money.

I know my response is rather lengthy. It is unusual for me to agree to respond to anyone's survey request -- let alone take this much time in responding. In conclusion, I have come to have a special respect for the name Hughes Net, a company of which I never knew until last month when I responded to a mailer using Hughes Net's name, and strangely a contact number that was not a legitimate number of your company's. I signed up having gross misinformation whether intentional or out of ignorance. Later, feeling highly stressed and scammed, a highly skilled and discerning supervisor worked for me to be released from the contract.

In closing, I want to thank that Supervisor. He was so calm, courteous, and professional, I later felt ashamed at how stressed I was feeling. Hughes Net, your knack for choosing good people to represent your company and name, actually demonstrated to me how important it is to listen to people and deal with people in a genuine, respectful, professional manner while seeking to resolve the problem. I work in a highly stressful hospital setting. THANK YOU ALL. I will remember your name and share it. Respectfully, Doris.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was actually really worried after reading all of the horrible reviews on HughesNet. Our only option for internet was Hughes so I made the leap. The installer actually declined our install the first time (after hiking through the snow and digging a hole and pouring concrete and cementing the pole) because he discovered we had a tree in the way. The next day we cut down the tree blocking the line of sight to the satellite and they came out the following day and completed the install.

This is a vacation rental and I was surprised to hear we could suspend and reactivate service for a total of 180 days a year and the bill would be prorated. We have been using this service activating for a few days at a time. I've been using their chat feature and doing everything via chat which has been very simple. They even gave me a substantial credit for not deactivating the service during some requested dates. They save the chats and could see they made a mistake. So far so good!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I was very irritated because I couldn't use the internet the way I needed it to and the woman on the phone helped me and I apologized to her because I was irritated. It wasn't her fault but she was patient. She never got upset. She helped me. She even said she understood so if you can do something nice for her please do because I'm sure her job is hard dealing with people that can be jerks.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

The encounter with the company representative was very pleasant. Current credit card data was supplied and service was uninterrupted. My wife spoke with the representative and explained that after converting to HUGHESNET her cell phone service is unsatisfactory as we are unable to be heard by a caller on our cell phone. This is totally unsatisfactory. Correction of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Mark was pleasant to talk with. He found another $5.00 discount for the next six months that is supposed to keep my payment to around the total of $70.00 that I initially agreed to. I explained my concern and he assured me that the $5.00 discount would keep my payment at $65.77 plus tax with no other charges added. If it holds true on billing payment I would change the rating to a five star. On two other occasions with other operators in the past the information I was given turned out to be false, probably through no fault of the operator.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I do not like to draft out of my Visa Credit Card. The Agent made it possible so I could send a check thru PayBill thru my Credit Union! The Agent was really nice in working with me concerning this matter!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Very understanding my problem. Work me through the issue. Took the time to help with changes for our password. Gave us a few extra gigabytes. It look like someone hack into our internet. It was a pleasure working with the lady on the phone.

HughesNet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs