2.67/5
Based on 2,024 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Hughes offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

Hughes Network Systems Video
Hughes Network Systems Gallery (2)
View More View More

4680 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a lot of problems since I have joined, but so far they have all been handled. The last two representatives were very helpful. But, I do want to know I can count on this service for my job. The first issues I had took so long to resolve and get back to me. I am concerned that if that happens while I am working I will lose the job I am applying for, and was frustrated that I had to continually reschedule my job interview. The issue was not the fault of the people who helped me— but service would be better if you could resolve issues with less delay. I understand that everything is just now getting set up, and am hoping things will smooth out. But I was ready to switch services earlier today because of the number of issues I have had and the problems it has caused in my job interview process. Thankfully, the issue today was minor and the representative handled it quickly and also taught me what to do in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Added a new version of outlook as a cloud installation on my laptop and had trouble connecting to Hughes.Net. I had two of your agents help me with the problem and both of them were very professional and were helpful. The problem was a bit more complicated than most and the first gentlemen got me set up so I could access hughes net and the second lady got me so I could email and send and receive. Both were pleasant, patient with someone who was trying to solve a new problem with my computer. But as usual with your support teams, they both worked very hard to solve the problem and in the end I am now all set up with my email working properly on my laptop and my cell phone. So give both of them thanks and I always tell folks to get your service because you have very good support and always solve my problem. Thanks so much to both of them. Ruby

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called Hughes Net today feeling rather bewildered about removing the Radio from the dish on the roof. I am well over 60 years of age and knew I could not easily remove the part without serious injury. The 1st agent was so professional and kind. She understood my dilemma, checked with a supervisor, and then brought resolve to the perplexing problem. I did not get her name, unfortunately.

I had to call back to Hughes Net when I realized I did not know what to do with the remaining now useless dish on the roof. This time the agent by the name of Desiree helped me. She was as kind and professional as the 1st agent. Ms. Desiree smartly gave me the number of the office of the Technicians. He in a fine way after asking a few pertinent questions gave me information that surely saved everyone from wasted time and money.

I know my response is rather lengthy. It is unusual for me to agree to respond to anyone's survey request -- let alone take this much time in responding. In conclusion, I have come to have a special respect for the name Hughes Net, a company of which I never knew until last month when I responded to a mailer using Hughes Net's name, and strangely a contact number that was not a legitimate number of your company's. I signed up having gross misinformation whether intentional or out of ignorance. Later, feeling highly stressed and scammed, a highly skilled and discerning supervisor worked for me to be released from the contract.

In closing, I want to thank that Supervisor. He was so calm, courteous, and professional, I later felt ashamed at how stressed I was feeling. Hughes Net, your knack for choosing good people to represent your company and name, actually demonstrated to me how important it is to listen to people and deal with people in a genuine, respectful, professional manner while seeking to resolve the problem. I work in a highly stressful hospital setting. THANK YOU ALL. I will remember your name and share it. Respectfully, Doris.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This gentleman, Was fantastic with me and very good. With me being an older person. He was very nice and took the time to listen to me and explaining so I understood. He help me more than anyone else in your company has in the past. He did not make me run through the so called loops Like the others did because they did not listen and nothing got better with them. The others just said the same thing over and over. He listen and understood what I was saying and help me so much. This guy is really great. Thanks to him I got off phone after talking to him. Feeling better and not dumb. Like most of your employs made me feel. This is the first review I have ever wrote. Because he is the only one I feel I should send a review on. Go figure you guys need more employees like him that listen and cares. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was actually really worried after reading all of the horrible reviews on HughesNet. Our only option for internet was Hughes so I made the leap. The installer actually declined our install the first time (after hiking through the snow and digging a hole and pouring concrete and cementing the pole) because he discovered we had a tree in the way. The next day we cut down the tree blocking the line of sight to the satellite and they came out the following day and completed the install.

This is a vacation rental and I was surprised to hear we could suspend and reactivate service for a total of 180 days a year and the bill would be prorated. We have been using this service activating for a few days at a time. I've been using their chat feature and doing everything via chat which has been very simple. They even gave me a substantial credit for not deactivating the service during some requested dates. They save the chats and could see they made a mistake. So far so good!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am satisfied with the satellite WIFI that Hughes Net has provided at this time. It is not super fast but it does work without any issues. If something should happen I will call with questions concerning the issues.

Original review: May 23, 2019

The person that set my service up on the phone was great. When I had problems with the service, customer service was nice but couldn’t fix it, only escalate the problem to an engineer who would contact me later. The service magically worked better the next day. People have followed up three times but I’ve missed the call. When I call back it is a very lengthy hold. I can say the service has improved and I haven’t had strong issues with it. It’s better than the last two companies I had at my old house in a big city.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I like that you had the item I was looking for at a great price. Just wish more to choose from for that price. I would recommend your site to everyone. Just should have been in 2 boxes. Kinda heavy to lift.

Original review: May 23, 2019

My experience, as usual, with the agent was most satisfying. He was prompt with the answers and was genuinely understanding. He was able to solve the problem with wisdom and knows how to talk with people. His overall character was exemplary. He was a pleasure to talk to to the point where I almost forgot why I called!

Original review: May 23, 2019

A week ago I upgraded my HughesNet service to Gen5 & was not able to get the system to function.. I contacted HughesNet Customer Support who initially worked with me to get the HughesNet modem/router initially functioning and then transferred me to a Tech Support agent to complete the installation/activation. The two agents who worked with me were outstanding, they were friendly, knowledgeable & very professional. HughesNet is very fortunate to be represented by the following two people: Yadira ** - Tech Support. Felipe - Customer Support.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Unfortunately for us, our equipment came in a day late (after scheduled installation) but I was notified in a timely manner and rescheduled. It happens but all went well so happy with the service! No issues getting everything installed and we finally have internet again, woohoo!

Original review: May 23, 2019

Signing in on app - The customer service representative was extremely friendly and professional and did an outstanding job giving me the best information I needed to accomplish the task I had difficulty with. He should be commended for the way he handled his job.

Original review: May 22, 2019

HughesNet rep. placed wrong ph. # in system when installed. Consequently, I could not get an ID or PW or access the system to correct the wrong info. Several customer service representative said they would enter my correct phone number but it never happened for over a year. I think the problem is now resolved.

Original review: May 22, 2019

The Internet works one day then the next it goes out with clear skies so there is no bad weather interfering with the satellite. I tried today resetting the modem and unplugging it over five times today and the Internet is still not back up.

Original review: May 22, 2019

When I called and signed up for this service I was told there was NO hidden costs or charges but when I called to inquire about sending me a paper bill I was told there is a $5.00 extra monthly charge for this service which I was not informed of when I ask about it. This is the way I do business not having my credit card automatically charged. I was also told I would see a lot faster speed on my internet but I don't see where it is any faster than my DSL network. I am really kind of disappointed in HughesNet.

Original review: May 21, 2019

When going to website it is slow. When viewing a video the incoming signal lags behind what is being viewed resulting in a jerky off and on movement of the video. However what does come in, when it does, is very clear and sharp.

Original review: May 21, 2019

My initial contact was with the greatest gal, Lucy **. She is so pleasant and helpful. Walked me through the entire process and helped making a decision on what PG best suited my needs. Thank you so very, very much.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I called HughesNet with a billing question. I spoke with a representative named "Sunshine" and she did not disappoint. She was very professional but easy to talk to. I explained my situation and she was able to correct it within just a few minutes. She also wanted to help with any other issues that I was having. I told her that I was having a few technical problems and she was also able to fix that. If only the world had a few more "Sunshines" in it!

Original review: May 20, 2019

The installer showed up when Scheduled and got us hooked up in good time. He was very pleasant to deal with and so far service of the satellite has been great, We have had no outages and lots of storms, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Was fine Having our house sides, needed to remove and re set the dish. All worked out fine. My only complaint with the whole DirecTV service is it is not as good as Dish in my opinion. Not enough of Channels I prefer on basic package and too expensive to upgrade and not watch 2/3 of what I would have to pay for.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I had to be on hold a long time and the connection was terrible. You need faster internet service... It sucks.... but person who assisted me was very nice, polite and helpful. Had a billing Issue due to my card change. I didn't know my acct number.. Issue was fixed quickly. I had to go online and register my account again. Thank you.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Billing - I went from 62. a month then 72 and I called to find out why. The customer service was nice and no problem. The problem is the plan says 59 dollars but it should say +14.99 or pay 400. for equipment.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Victor immediately understood my circumstances, and I asked for a new bundle discount, and it was immediately addressed.... Great rep, good service.. Thanks! I'm a disabled senior citizen, and every dollar saved is meaningful. He recommended calling in 6 months for a renewal of the discount, and I hope it continues.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Excellent help. Very knowledgable. Walk me to getting on the internet. Was very patient and very helpful. I lost suddenly while installing a printer. That was yesterday. I called and was advised that it was bad weather at the gateway. I called this morning and agent had me reset the modem. It worked.

Original review: May 18, 2019

HughesNet has surpassed my expectations. Starting with my initial call, I was assisted in a friendly and professional manner. They answered all my questions and provided additional information. They were able to provide exactly what my monthly bill would be including tax, which made me comfortable that there were no hidden fees. The individuals that did the installation arrived within the scheduled time. They worked quickly, efficiently and cleaned up after themselves. I would and have already recommended HughesNet to everyone.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Was told that it would be 25 mps minimum and up to 50mps. Was getting 14 mps, had to spend $200 to get the internet speed up to 24. I told the rep that I am a gamer and was assured that there would be no problems. Bad business practice.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Put service on vacation. Just got notice that you are going to charge me full fee. Representative could do nothing, billing system down and not available to him. Monies due to come out of my account on 19th of May. I will be extremely unhappy if that occurs.

Original review: May 17, 2019

It SUCKS!!!!! Every month I have a problem paying my bill online!! It says: "Attention: invalid address." Not true! Every month it's a damn song and dance! Representatives can NEVER rectify the situation-problem!! Confirming every month that Hughes Net has the proper home address! Like I tell representative EVERY month!! I would not get my statement if the address was incorrect! It's your system that is flawed!!!! So I will start mailing payment again!! I AM NOT HAPPY!!

Original review: May 17, 2019

It seems the speed of the internet is pretty slow and unresponsive for playing any game. Even games on the phone. Otherwise we are happy with the service. If there is a way to speed the service without paying more that would be great.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Hughes Net is the worst system ever. I'm a new customer that made a huge mistake. Stay away from this company!!! I call them every single night and tell them slow service and they try to sell me more. I accept and still ** service.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs