1.14/5
Based on 491 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

2653 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

Consumer beware. HughesNet is a total scam. They promise high speed but even their techs admit it's impossible. After a few months of frustration since Oct 2017 I finally had enough and decided to cancel. They want me to pay an early termination fee of $391 as I am breaking the contract. I told them that it is they who broke the contract by not living up to it. The service is pathetic. DON’T, DON’T, DON’T get involved with this scam. Be warned. I wish I had read the reviews. Surely this is illegal??? I’m forced to give them 1 star. I wish I could give them nothing.

Original review: May 22, 2018

We called HughesNet on Wednesday May 16. Spoke to a rep who gave us info. She told us that with the plan we were getting, which is the same plan she has that supports her family of 4, we would be able to stream video, run laptops and operate our phone on WIFI. THAT TURNED OUT TO BE THE BIGGEST JOKE EVER! They came and set up on Thursday. It ran great that day until around 7:30. Then the only thing we were able to use was our phones and that even buffered.

The only time it ran even halfway decent was during the week between the hours of 830 and 7. Called to cancel after only having it 5 days, and they wanted to give us a runaround. They finally canceled and said there will need a $400 cancellation fee. So now, not only did I waste $185 on setting this up, they are going to charge an additional $400 for a service that we stopped using on day 3, and even when in use didn't work. HughesNet sucks is the only way to describe it!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

If you want to spend $400 a month to have ** internet service... be my guest! It is the SLOWEST possible connection out there... with LIMITED DATA!!! You will blow through it in days! Yes days!!! ABSOLUTELY A WASTE OF MONEY!!! I spent $400 to get out of contract! AND WAS HAPPY WITH THAT!!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I recently signed up for Hughes internet. The sales team did a great job baiting me into accepting a 2 year contract. I have had their service for 30 days and am still unable to use my laptop to work from home, there is not enough speed to run my programs. In addition to work I am unable to watch even basic television using Hulu or Netflix. The service buffers every 40 seconds and that makes it completely useless. They refuse to send a tech over free of charge, even though the sales team said they would if there were problems in the first 30 days. I don't know if I need a new modem or a booster or just a new internet provider. HUGHES NET IS NOT ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE OR ABOUT BEING A HIGH QUALITY PROVIDER...

Original review: May 21, 2018

You’ll love their service during your first month of service. Super fast download and upload speeds. Once that 30 day grace period is over, they cut your speeds back significantly. Upload speed is sometimes below 1MB per second. Download speed is usually around 10MB per second. That said, it’s still better than CenturyLink in our area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: May 20, 2018 HUGHESNET THIS IS ALL A LIE. Built-in Wi-Fi. Be ready to recover page many times. Connect multiple wireless devices at home (lie). You’ll have peace of mind knowing that your system features the latest in Wi-Fi standards and technology (dual-band 802.11ac). Delivers 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for incredible speeds and excellent coverage (lie). Set up separate guest Wi-Fi for visitors to keep your home network more secure. Monitor data usage and track Wi-Fi performance

Yes! HughesNet Gen5 is available from coast to coast in the U.S. All you need is a clear view of the southern sky. Visit our Coverage Areas page to learn more!

Yes, you can use Skype and Netflix with our Gen5 service, but be sure to continue to monitor your monthly Service Plan Data with the Usage Meter. It’s important to remember that your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space. In order to minimize the delay that comes from having data travel back and forth over such a vast distance, your modem uses advanced acceleration techniques. About all that's is true with these ads are HughesNet satellite is 22,000 away.

I did this upgrade and it's a lie because all plans have same speed. Get Higher Speeds and Greater Download Capacity. Enjoy faster Internet speeds and greater download capacity when you upgrade your HughesNet service plan. New, improved plans available in certain geographic areas. I have had it after 5 months of running out of data, most of my data used waiting for buffering on YouTube and Roku. It’s impossible to call, your wait time is forever then you get someone you can't understand from India or somewhere else. HughesNet is about as fast as dial up. Plenty of free buffering. I’ve had it with. This is a total rip off and I plan on turning in a report to B.B.B.

I have already paid over 400.00 since I got this awful service. I will return the equipment via USPS but don't expect one more penny from me, your company has broken the agreement so many times, such as upgrade to more data and get faster speeds lie, plus more. I was told to disconnect my Androids because they were using too much data and slowing down internet. I only have one 7” android and seldom use it. Had 82% data left. Went watched movie on Netflix with wife, when checked data after the movie to see how much data was used watching one movie I found I only had 42% left. I have called and complained many times. The tech told me give it couple months and the satellite will be in full operation. That was 6 months ago. Fed up and done with HughesNet.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Use caution in signing up for this service. I am rural and thought this would be worth a try. Unfortunately, you cannot "try" out the service. You MUST commit to a contract. I went ahead and did it, hoping for the best. I do not stream movies, just light internet and email, so I figured I could get by with their basic plan according to their own estimations of what it would do. I paid $169 for the install, and then was leasing the equipment. Not a good sign anyway, but they did not have an option to buy. With leasing, you end up paying much more over time than you ever would buying for yourself. I did not realize I was signing a 2 year contract. That is likely my fault, but I do not recall them being that specific. SO, not only can you not try it out first, but if it does not deliver, you are STUCK with it for 2 years? Wow, interesting business plan!

Now, on delivery of their "service", it does not meet their published usage. I have maxed out my service with only light internet and email?? No movie streaming at all! How did that happen? SO, I can BUY a bigger plan... but if it is not delivering, why? So, less than 60 days into this adventure, I am disappointed and facing more fees or maxing out each month on the basic service.

My company is relocating me. Now, totally unexpected, but that is less than 60 days into this contract and they will not budge on the cancellation fee. This is $385, which equates to 6 months of service! WOW, What a business plan! They are out NOTHING. They have installed equipment, which I paid for the install. They are leasing me the equipment, which I am required to send back or get another $300 fee for non-returned equipment. They have no investment into this, BUT they have a contract that says they can charge me $385 for cancelling. Well, that is totally ridiculous.

What a business plan they have. Don't deliver on promised service levels. Charge them more if they max out, which is apparently easier to do than they advertise, and then if they do not like it, charge them extortion fees to get out of a contract. Compare that to breaking a lease on a car or house rental, doesn't this seem extreme? I only ask you to use extreme caution in making the decision to enter into a contract with this company. Hopefully you have someone near you that you can see how the service works before entering into it. I did not, and now I am paying for it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was told I would have minimum 20 mbps and be able to stream movies relatable, etc. I do get over 20 mbps occasionally, usually in the middle of the night, but it more frequently ranges from a documented low of .66 to mid-teens, and streaming or doing much else on the internet is EXTREMELY SLOW or impossible. A tech support person has visited twice to replace the modem, realign it, and concluded he doesn’t know what else to do, but that yes, the service is not what it should be. The poor customer service reps, young people in other countries, just lead me through the verbal loops they have been trained in. So- I am assuming I will end up having to pay the $400 to terminate the account and return to the local telephone company’s medium slow but consistent and reliable service. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET unless there is no other option and you don’t mind paying for spotty, sketchy service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We bought a lake house for weekends and didn't have many internet options. When I called I was given the impression that it was a month to month contract for $69. We can't stream anything because it stops every few minutes to buffer. DirecTV says that, "the internet connection speed does not allow for a smooth playback of this streaming program." It takes forever for anything to load on the computer and sometimes Safari can't get a secure connection to the internet. I could go on and on. I've spent numerous hours on the phone with Hughes trying to fix the problem which they denied existed. Today I called and canceled. To my surprise I was told I had a 24 month contract and would be charged $355 to cancel. I'm writing this hoping it might prevent someone else from making the huge mistake of getting Hughes. I had a new internet company install today and it works perfectly!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I advise any & everybody to cancel their services with these incompetent fools. Even when you cancel your services before 30 days, they wait for 2 months to try & charge you for the termination fee anyways. Internet always going in & out. Customer Service is Horrible, & They Lie so damn much. I will NEVER get their services again. Told them I am not paying for no termination fee with the wack services I was received. I feel bad for anyone with their services & giving them good reviews for nothing. They are beyond worthless & I am very displeased with them. I'm pretty sure I'm Not the only one that experienced their dumb service. They blocked me from their website & sent the termination fee that I felt like I shouldn't have to pay for, straight to collection agencies. HUGHESNET or should I say "** NET" is a Joke.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have never paid as much for something and received so little in return in my life. I moved and signed up for their internet service because I had no other options. I should have lived without the internet. Their internet is incredibly slow -- a throwback to the days of the old phone modems -- and their streaming -- well, rarely will it stream. The first time I called, they pointed the finger of blame onto my hardware even though my Smart TV and laptop/computers worked fine at my previous address (they even have some silly boilerplate email that suggests the problem may also be related to the hardware).

The second time I called, their employee claimed he didn't have enough information to help and I had to call back in two days when more data was available. I'm not sure why this was essential because they claim to show you all the data immediately, and I also wasn't sure why I had to call back. When they sent me an email asking me to rate their service, I requested a callback (the option is in their email). I never got a callback. I finally had a Best Buy technician look at it and apparently HughesNet cannot support streaming 1080p or higher. I requested several times via email and phone that a rep come out, and they never offered to send one out or attempt to help better my service. In short, my experience with their customer service and their product are very, very poor. I have spent a lot of money on nothing.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I got HughesNet 12/17. The technician came out to install and on that day Netflix was buffering and he couldn't get it to work properly. It NEVER worked properly, EVER. I called HughesNet at least 3x monthly and was told it was 1. My fault. 2. Call the TV manufacturer. 3. Call Netflix and Hulu because it's their fault. 4. Suddenly they knew how to fix it and wanted to charge me 130.00 for THEIR advanced troubleshooting to fix it. I finally today, May 2018, cancelled the service with a $225 broken contract fee. I don't even mind the fee if it means I am free from HughesNet. Trust me. The worst thing you can do is get this service.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I live in the country and had internet through DISH Network (which was actually Hughes Net) and never had a problem. Fast forward to November 2017 a few days after my two year contract was up. My internet, which I never had an issue with even in bad weather, completely stopped working. That Monday I called DISH and they suckered me into upgrading the equipment which also meant paying Hughes directly. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!! They installed the equipment wrong, which I found out after a week what their requirements were so my signal is **. Signal is also shotty in other areas of the house, which were fine before, but their customer service told me I could buy a WiFi booster. UMM no, it shouldn't be my fault that the new crap you made me get doesn't work. Not only that but the plan they talked me into doesn't cover my needs like they said they checked and I would be fine with.

Big surprise when DISH tried to slap me with a freaking $300 early termination fee for THEIR upgrade that they talked me into. Flash forward to March 8, 2018. Netflix would cast to my tv using my phone until this date. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Hughes, Netflix, Google, and Apple. Now having issues with Hulu working.

Did I mention Netflix stopped working the same week I received a DISH flyer saying Netflix was built into their Hoppers? Oh and that the guy from Netflix told me other Hughes Net customers were having the same issue in my area? That the Hughes Net guy HUNG UP on me when I also had the Netflix guy on the same call to tell them how to fix the problem? That Hughes Net denies they are blocking signals, yet at the same time I had them restart my router that Netflix started working for a show then stopped again? I want my money back and am contacting Better Business Bureau to see what else I can do. Please do not make the same mistake I did.

Original review: May 15, 2018

In May 2017, we signed up with HughesNet when we lived on the Eastern Shore of VA. The service was awful and constantly buffered. Couldn't stream a movie. When we moved to Virginia Beach in January 2018, we called HughesNet and said we wanted to cancel because we were moving and dissatisfied with the service. Who has $400? They said it would be this stiff penalty to break the 24 month contract. So we continued service at our new address. But in January they forced us to restart THE 24 MONTH CONTRACT all because we were moving (we still kept the service).

Their business model is keeping people in contracts against their will because people want to quit the service once they have it. I was on the phone arguing with nasty customer service people for three hours last night. They said they don't hang up on people, but their supervisor did hang up on my son last night when he was trying to negotiate with her. They refused to keep the original May 2017 start date for our contract - we are stuck with the January 2018 start date. I honestly say the worst company ever, and I've dealt with a lot of bad companies in my years.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I signed up before doing my research, being new to the area I thought it would work. I was told that with being a heavy internet user with a large family the plan they set up was perfect for my family. Lie number 1. Come to find out it's not. My kids can't do homework. Everything has to be done on a Chrome book and I can't do online schooling or my online business. My kids can't watch Netflix, play on their tablets. No learning games for the toddlers. When I called they were rude and when asked to talk to the main manager and supervisor they don't have one and hung up on me. Now I'm stuck for 23 months with a service that doesn't work or pay 450$ to cancel.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I am in a rural area where there is not much choice of providers. Hughesnet is pretty good. I think it is a bit slow, otherwise have had no problems and the installation was good.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My family and I sold our home and moved out into the country into an old family home to save money. We were worried because, as a teacher, I rely heavily upon internet to load grades and work on lessons in the evening, and our cable internet was unavailable there. After researching, my husband felt that HughesNet would meet our needs. Unfortunately, it didn’t. I could never connect during the 6 PM to 10 PM time frame. We called and asked for service and help several times. We were basically told that it was working fine over and over, despite the fact that I couldn’t connect during that time frame. I eventually found that if I got up between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM I could connect— but it would go in and out while I was working.

The late hours wore on me and we finally decided that we could not do our jobs effectively where we were living because of the inadequacy of the internet. So, we decided to move. We have been under contract with HughesNet for nine months. Upon canceling tonight, we were told we would owe a cancellation fee of $520. We are having to pay $520 to cancel with a service that never worked properly. I feel this company is offering a fraudulent product. People get it, are dissatisfied, and the only way they can make money is to charge exorbitant cancellation fees to try to keep people locked in. The leaders of HughesNet should be ashamed of themselves—but I’m sure they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I work from home. We only had ATT DSL and it was totally horrible with no dates on when we can get good broadband service in our area (2 streets off the 'grid'). No choice for Comcast as their service also 'stops' 2 streets away. Had no other choice but try Hughesnet but cannot get full benefit due to how slow it is. Cannot link smart home devices not stream because of internet speed. I actually have to use my iPhone hotspot to work from when I connect - it's faster. Had I known this area did not have decent internet we never would have bought the house. Has caused a lot of issues with neighbors around us as well.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have had HughesNet internet service for about four months. When I got it, the sales folks were extremely friendly and all adept at communicating in English. Since I've had it, the speed of the internet and the quality of video-viewing has been extremely variable. The tech people are all non-English speakers. The system for contacting them is cumbersome and inconvenient. They do not respond well to queries. I have given up. Sometimes the speed is good and sometimes it is bad. The biggest problem is playing videos. There's no real point in complaining. They don't care and they just give excuses.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Initial service charge was 409.97 for equipment and installation. Hughes promises a high speed and provided 20 gigabits per mo. for $59. On top of the initial service charge. 20 gigabytes was nothing but did not know then how little amount that was. Their cancellation fee is high $385. and we will pay it just to get away from them. Their internet services suck. When you complain they just offer you a few more free gigabits. When you ask to cancel this account they refuse because they follow some dumb cycle instead of the merchant wishes. I hope this will help someone out here. Wish I had read Hughes Net reviews prior to contacting them. Contacting Hughes was a biggest mistake.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I live so far out, we only receive satellite internet. Hughesnet has been awesome to deal with. Affordable and decent speeds. They don't keep changing prices like a lot of companies these days. Had it for 5 years now.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I can't stream anything unless it's in the middle of the night. The only reason I have HughesNet is that I live in the middle of nowhere and that's the only provider available. No competition.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have had Hughesnet for a couple of years, and recently my internet download and upload speeds dropped to a point where it is no longer usable. After two tech trips out, and multiple customer service phone calls -- I am still without internet. The fact that they have so many layers of customer support is ridiculous, and the length of time on hold is extremely frustrating and ridiculous!!! I have been without the use of the internet for over one month.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I certainly should have read reviews before even considering this scam of a company. We discontinued our service with HughesNet over 6 months ago, and are still getting bills. The internet was horribly slow and very limited data. We live in a small rural area and didn't have much choice for providers. We paid an 85$ disconnection fee, no biggie. We were sent a box to return the inside equipment, which we did. A month later, we were sent a bill for 213.50 for the equipment on top of our roof, that is attached to the dish itself. They expect their customers to climb up on their own roof and take this piece off and return it. I do not have a ladder tall enough, I have a bad back and I wasn't taking any chances. So the only other choice I had was to have a technician come out and uninstall. He gave me the piece and I was told I would be sent a box to mail it in and my account balance would zero itself out.

Today 5-3-2018, I received another bill, this time for 320.25. They charged me an additional fee for 106.75 for the technician to come out and uninstall. And after almost 2 months I still haven't received my box. So I called customer service again, this being the 6th or 7th time, and the goofball on the phone told me that there was not an order set up to ship me a box to return this piece of equipment. He said I will receive it within 10 business days. I'm not holding my breath. If I can save one person from having to endure this scam of a company, this will have all been worth it for me. Please read the reviews. I didn't and now here I am. Oh and getting reference numbers may make you feel better but they mean absolutely nothing when trying to resolve any issues.

Original review: May 3, 2018

BEWARE. Don't be fooled by other websites claiming Hughes Network is number one in satellite internet. If Hughes Network is number one I'd hate to see how slow the others are. Even their 5g won't allow playback of a music video without repeated buffering. And they don't stand behind their install jobs either. Their installation tech didn't bury the cable from the dish to the house below 1 inch across my driveway. When the wire became exposed Hughes Network expected me to pay $65 to have it buried at an adequate depth. I argued, why do have to pay for a job done poorly by their install? They held firm on the cost to get someone out to do it right. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. Very slow internet speeds. Very poor customer service.

Original review: May 2, 2018

STAY AWAY. This is an horrible company. Very slow, my phone doesn't work properly. Highly sensitive to the weather. I had service installed less than 24 hrs. when I knew how bad it is. Serviceman cut original cable and then wanted $125.00 to repair what they had done. They wanted $ 400.00 cancellation fee and their equipment return had to be removed by myself and take it to be shipped myself. I have never been so dissatisfied with any company or their service.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been forced into keeping this awful service due to a 2 yr contract I never knew about. The account number they provide never works, customer service sucks, paying a bill is a nightmare and having any internet service past a week forget it. This is the worst company I have ever encountered. STAY AWAY!! I wish I would've read reviews before signing up for their service.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Problem: My 85-year old father recently contacted Dish TV about getting a package deal for TV service and also internet (which they bundled through HughesNet). A Dish representative came out and set up both the TV and the internet. He explained my father would have both; it was a 2 year contract and didn't explain that the internet plan was a 'Data' plan - mostly used with cell phones. Residential areas mainly need 'speed' plans due to different requirements. Computer internet usage in residential areas is often determined by Windows upgrading itself or security updates or even streaming on TVs. My dad uses internet for both his computer and TV (and even his house phone). They never said that after 10GB of data, his internet speed would go down to 1 Mb/s - slow enough that most items won't work properly.

The box that Dish set up with this 'bundle' and the computer went through the data in just 1 day and for the rest of the month Dad’s at 1 Mb/s; his phone has a 1 second delay for anyone talking (not only hard to talk but using 911 is a major concern) and Netflix will not stream any movies. He tried numerous times to figure out why he had slow internet. When I contacted HughesNet to try and help, they told me to disconnect his TV box and his computer... I asked what was the point in having internet if everything is disconnected. They then tried to sell Dad a higher data plan. Of course, any 'data' plan would have the same issue and they wanted more money. When I tried to terminate Dad’s plan (which is what he wanted by then), they said there would be a termination fee even though they set up a bad product for my Dad’s situation. Dish and HughesNet knowingly set my elderly father up in a bad contract and won't rectify the situation.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Some slick talking salesman muscled me into a contract based on a lie. They promised me 20 down and 3 up speeds, and the installer ran a internet speed test before he left. Only problem, my cable was still hooked up, so I did an A - B comparison. 3 times, I checked the download speed in application on all my devices, computer, PS4 and cell phone. Not even close, every time the cable Internet was 10 times faster. I believe they have a device that allows them to fake out the ping test and fool customers. It is likely a scam, because now they will not let me out of the contract, they want me to pay for the unused garbage service too. I have contacted the Federal Trade Commission and will be speaking to an attorney about this, please contact me if you have had similar experiences.

Original review: April 29, 2018

HughesNet Gen5 should be against the law. It has to be the absolute worst internet provider ever in history. It advertises that it is the leading #1 internet provider nationwide. It is false advertisement. Do not waste your money! Their customer service is even worse. I made six calls in the first 4 weeks of service. Out of those 6 calls I was hung up on 4 times. I cancelled my services but have yet to receive a box to send back my router. Also, the guy that installed it did not allow me to touch his phone. Thus, forging my name. My download speed is currently 563kbps. If this is the #1 internet provider in the nation then we are in big trouble folks!

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs