Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.40/5
Based on 3,233 ratings submitted in the last year

HughesNet offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

HughesNet Gallery (2)
View More View More

HughesNet Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I was supposed to get a call back today Jan 10 2020 from Angela at 1 pm. At 2:30 I called Hughes Net to report she had not called and report slow internet service. That was the same thing I called about on Jan 9. Angela told me my computer had a virus Jan 9. I reported back Jan 10 that my computer did not have a virus. Also to let Hughes Net know my internet service was slow and that rep Angela had not called me back. It seems every time I call and I call quite often that I get bad information and untrue advice from Hughes Net. Today Jan 10 was better got good advise today Jan 10. I can't say that I am happy with Hughes Net yet. I'm still thinking about cancelling service. Have you read the bad stuff customers say a bout Hughes Net? Well it is not good and I can see why. Take that for what it is worth. Signed unhappy customer. Pam **.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Behind on bill. Your staff were so helpful to me. They helped me in ways that I didn't even know your company did. They credited part of my payment and made arrangements for me to pay the rest on payday. And turned my service back on. I felt like I was giving a Christmas present. The month of October I had a knee replacement and then 25 days in inpatient therapy. My account was used fraudulently used. I lost $3600.00 in less than a month. It turned out a account I had to keep a watch on my credit has insurance for this. So I am looking forward to see if it truly works.

I just know it's given me a little light at the end of a very long tunnel. Part of that was for new tires, I sure hope it comes soon. Took me eight months to save that much. I am praying. Again your employees were Fantastic and I cried when I got off the phone. Was a really nice thing for your company to do, ever. Thanks Kathryn **

Original review: July 9, 2019

I recently had internet and phone satellite service installed at my new house. The installer was very professional and there were no issues with the installation. The only problem I am having is that I cannot send photos as attachments using either text or email using my iPhone, iPad or PC. Called tech support numerous times who could not do anything to fix the issue and informed me to contact Apple. Then after calling Apple support for my iPhone they were able to provide me with a workaround fix since the issue is with HughesNet. The only way I can send pictures is via email and include the photos within the email but not as attachments. So basically I cannot text or email anyone pictures as attachments!

I have never had this issue with any other internet service provider and was very frustrated. But at least I can send them embedded in an email now. Also, if you do get HughesNet satellite service make sure they have your name spelled right when signing up. They kept informing me they would need to send the request to upper management which is ridiculous. I had to call them numerous times until they corrected my name. Then I had to also do it on the phone side so it shows up on caller ID correctly. Sometimes the internet speed is slow to load websites but overall it is great for the rural area where I live. I still wish I could have gone with broadband service instead of satellite since the weather does slow the speed when raining or very cloudy.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a lot of problems since I have joined, but so far they have all been handled. The last two representatives were very helpful. But, I do want to know I can count on this service for my job. The first issues I had took so long to resolve and get back to me. I am concerned that if that happens while I am working I will lose the job I am applying for, and was frustrated that I had to continually reschedule my job interview. The issue was not the fault of the people who helped me— but service would be better if you could resolve issues with less delay. I understand that everything is just now getting set up, and am hoping things will smooth out. But I was ready to switch services earlier today because of the number of issues I have had and the problems it has caused in my job interview process. Thankfully, the issue today was minor and the representative handled it quickly and also taught me what to do in the future.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called Hughes Net today feeling rather bewildered about removing the Radio from the dish on the roof. I am well over 60 years of age and knew I could not easily remove the part without serious injury. The 1st agent was so professional and kind. She understood my dilemma, checked with a supervisor, and then brought resolve to the perplexing problem. I did not get her name, unfortunately.

I had to call back to Hughes Net when I realized I did not know what to do with the remaining now useless dish on the roof. This time the agent by the name of Desiree helped me. She was as kind and professional as the 1st agent. Ms. Desiree smartly gave me the number of the office of the Technicians. He in a fine way after asking a few pertinent questions gave me information that surely saved everyone from wasted time and money.

I know my response is rather lengthy. It is unusual for me to agree to respond to anyone's survey request -- let alone take this much time in responding. In conclusion, I have come to have a special respect for the name Hughes Net, a company of which I never knew until last month when I responded to a mailer using Hughes Net's name, and strangely a contact number that was not a legitimate number of your company's. I signed up having gross misinformation whether intentional or out of ignorance. Later, feeling highly stressed and scammed, a highly skilled and discerning supervisor worked for me to be released from the contract.

In closing, I want to thank that Supervisor. He was so calm, courteous, and professional, I later felt ashamed at how stressed I was feeling. Hughes Net, your knack for choosing good people to represent your company and name, actually demonstrated to me how important it is to listen to people and deal with people in a genuine, respectful, professional manner while seeking to resolve the problem. I work in a highly stressful hospital setting. THANK YOU ALL. I will remember your name and share it. Respectfully, Doris.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: March 29, 2020

Very helpful and understanding regarding the coronavirus pandemic and its impact economically on my family. This call proved that HughesNet cares about your customers' wellbeing. It was a pleasurable experience as well as helpful. Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I was told we had used up all our data. I was not aware we had a limit. Jessy ** was very patient and explained everything to me. I was satisfied with his explanation. However I am not happy with HughesNet. It is slow.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I had a difficult time speaking with the representative due to it sounding very garbled. The representative was talking clearly, but the connection was faulty. I was satisfied with the outcome. Looking forward to having more data speed. Thanks for the help, and giving me a discount for three months.

Original review: March 28, 2020

The woman I spoke with was very knowledgeable, had the patience of a saint while I tried to figure out how to do on my end, what she was explaining. With our phone connection crackly sounding, it was often difficult to ascertain what she was saying. I needed to register for an online account so that I could pull up information to set up a new iPad. She patiently repeated what I couldn't hear. Together, we resolved the problem and all was fine and well.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Our internet is slow and at times our wifi just disconnects. We depend on it in our area for phones. We live between towers. When out of our area we can can use the phones fine. I was sent sent some paper by engineers but cannot access the site. My internet says it isn't a safe area to visit.

HughesNet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team