2.63/5
Based on 2,419 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HughesNet offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

HughesNet Gallery (2)
View More View More

5130 HughesNet Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 9, 2019

I recently had internet and phone satellite service installed at my new house. The installer was very professional and there were no issues with the installation. The only problem I am having is that I cannot send photos as attachments using either text or email using my iPhone, iPad or PC. Called tech support numerous times who could not do anything to fix the issue and informed me to contact Apple. Then after calling Apple support for my iPhone they were able to provide me with a workaround fix since the issue is with HughesNet. The only way I can send pictures is via email and include the photos within the email but not as attachments. So basically I cannot text or email anyone pictures as attachments!

I have never had this issue with any other internet service provider and was very frustrated. But at least I can send them embedded in an email now. Also, if you do get HughesNet satellite service make sure they have your name spelled right when signing up. They kept informing me they would need to send the request to upper management which is ridiculous. I had to call them numerous times until they corrected my name. Then I had to also do it on the phone side so it shows up on caller ID correctly. Sometimes the internet speed is slow to load websites but overall it is great for the rural area where I live. I still wish I could have gone with broadband service instead of satellite since the weather does slow the speed when raining or very cloudy.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a lot of problems since I have joined, but so far they have all been handled. The last two representatives were very helpful. But, I do want to know I can count on this service for my job. The first issues I had took so long to resolve and get back to me. I am concerned that if that happens while I am working I will lose the job I am applying for, and was frustrated that I had to continually reschedule my job interview. The issue was not the fault of the people who helped me— but service would be better if you could resolve issues with less delay. I understand that everything is just now getting set up, and am hoping things will smooth out. But I was ready to switch services earlier today because of the number of issues I have had and the problems it has caused in my job interview process. Thankfully, the issue today was minor and the representative handled it quickly and also taught me what to do in the future.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Added a new version of outlook as a cloud installation on my laptop and had trouble connecting to Hughes.Net. I had two of your agents help me with the problem and both of them were very professional and were helpful. The problem was a bit more complicated than most and the first gentlemen got me set up so I could access hughes net and the second lady got me so I could email and send and receive. Both were pleasant, patient with someone who was trying to solve a new problem with my computer. But as usual with your support teams, they both worked very hard to solve the problem and in the end I am now all set up with my email working properly on my laptop and my cell phone. So give both of them thanks and I always tell folks to get your service because you have very good support and always solve my problem. Thanks so much to both of them. Ruby

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called Hughes Net today feeling rather bewildered about removing the Radio from the dish on the roof. I am well over 60 years of age and knew I could not easily remove the part without serious injury. The 1st agent was so professional and kind. She understood my dilemma, checked with a supervisor, and then brought resolve to the perplexing problem. I did not get her name, unfortunately.

I had to call back to Hughes Net when I realized I did not know what to do with the remaining now useless dish on the roof. This time the agent by the name of Desiree helped me. She was as kind and professional as the 1st agent. Ms. Desiree smartly gave me the number of the office of the Technicians. He in a fine way after asking a few pertinent questions gave me information that surely saved everyone from wasted time and money.

I know my response is rather lengthy. It is unusual for me to agree to respond to anyone's survey request -- let alone take this much time in responding. In conclusion, I have come to have a special respect for the name Hughes Net, a company of which I never knew until last month when I responded to a mailer using Hughes Net's name, and strangely a contact number that was not a legitimate number of your company's. I signed up having gross misinformation whether intentional or out of ignorance. Later, feeling highly stressed and scammed, a highly skilled and discerning supervisor worked for me to be released from the contract.

In closing, I want to thank that Supervisor. He was so calm, courteous, and professional, I later felt ashamed at how stressed I was feeling. Hughes Net, your knack for choosing good people to represent your company and name, actually demonstrated to me how important it is to listen to people and deal with people in a genuine, respectful, professional manner while seeking to resolve the problem. I work in a highly stressful hospital setting. THANK YOU ALL. I will remember your name and share it. Respectfully, Doris.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was actually really worried after reading all of the horrible reviews on HughesNet. Our only option for internet was Hughes so I made the leap. The installer actually declined our install the first time (after hiking through the snow and digging a hole and pouring concrete and cementing the pole) because he discovered we had a tree in the way. The next day we cut down the tree blocking the line of sight to the satellite and they came out the following day and completed the install.

This is a vacation rental and I was surprised to hear we could suspend and reactivate service for a total of 180 days a year and the bill would be prorated. We have been using this service activating for a few days at a time. I've been using their chat feature and doing everything via chat which has been very simple. They even gave me a substantial credit for not deactivating the service during some requested dates. They save the chats and could see they made a mistake. So far so good!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: July 15, 2019

The associate helped me very good. The service was very awesome. He was very knowledgeable on every subject that I needed. I will remember recommend Hughes Network for all of my friends and family because it is the best internet service that I've ever had.

Original review: July 12, 2019

When I changed my p/w from ** to ** I discovered that when I tried to log-in, the space for the password was too small (in spaces) for my new p/w. On the second call, the first did not have a solution and proceeded to set up a new account in my name. I hung up and called again. This time the individual was able to solve my situation and set up a new p/w that was short enough to fit the log-on block. It now works OK. Thanks for the knowledge of the second person I spoke to.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We spoke to one of your service assistants two days ago and received the best information possible. He explained how your service works and helped us understand. We did not get his name but are hoping you can find him. We have upgraded to your highest level. Thank you and him.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Slow service. I think it was MY BAD. One time I found it unplugged. I can't keep up with dates. I am so sorry for my craziness. I do get a check in my defense but I messed up one day. Not sure if it was this date. If not I apologize for whatever day it was. Yes, I would recommend HughesNet. Thanks. Marjorie

Original review: July 10, 2019

Since new Dish installed, response time doubly slow... When I contacted your representative, he said "your" response time is 31. Then declared the encounter with me "resolved." When I had the local tech out. he said the download speed was 7.44 max 13.32--upload speed 5.34 max 5.34. Please help!!!

Original review: July 9, 2019

Speed and reliability is horrible. You can't stream from any services without frequent interruptions. Service has dropped completely in the middle of important meetings. I would really like someone to try and resolve this or the opportunity to discontinue service.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Austin should never deal with the public. He is rude and very condescending. He was so Rude. He Wanted to cancel our service before he ever listen to our concern. You really need to think Customer Service. He is loser. Please release him if you want to keep your business.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Promised that speeds had improved significantly since our last horrible experience. Also promised a 90 day opt out due to prior horrible experience. Both promises completely totally false. "Ruben" was the salesperson who promised us excellent service. We are now being told that we are lying about the promises and they have the telephone recording to prove it. I am now awaiting that transcript. We shall see who is lying. And I will not rest until I see a change in their sales tactics!

Original review: July 9, 2019

This is basically a worthless service. It doesn’t work to support even the most basic basic web surfing. I’m not even talking about gaming or streaming video. We have had numerous Hughesnet techs check our dish positioning and have been assured all is good and we have great signal to satellite. They have told us that Hughesnet is overselling their bandwith and the gateways are clogged. When we call customer service they tell us that the techs need to adjust the positioning of our dish or that weather is obstructing the signal. I can say we also have Dish Network for our TV and it works absolutely fine, so it’s not weather related. If you can get ANY cell phone service at all, you are better off using your cell phone as a hotspot. Hughesnet is even far worse than dial-up, which might be slow but it gets you there eventually. Hughesnet stops working PERIOD! Save your money. You’ve been warned. I’ve been dealing with this for about a year.

Original review: July 8, 2019

After calling you about your equipment and slow service I ended up with no data and I just paid my bill on 7/3/2019. I was not able to use your services because it was too slow. Now you gonna tell me you can't restore my data or my money back. I have already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. And the local sheriff department. My next step is to go to my lawyer and social media. Plus I want my account cancel as soon as possible.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Was told for 3 months that I would be getting a gift card, to just be patient, then told I would have to sign in and go to website and it would be another 3 months!!!! Already paying too much for inadequate service, but to have to deal with incompetence in unconscionable!

Original review: July 8, 2019

Service professional appt was Fri, 05 Jul, between 1100 and 1400 (with a confirmation number), and they did not make it nor did they call so waited until 1400 and I called. Was on the phone for 1 1/2 hrs (hardly understood the rep talking) to make another appt. The second service professional was on time and very nice. It cost me $62.50 for the appt which was not kept by your company for the first confirmed appt.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Called on 6/24/19 to add a phone service on my property and correct my address, however they corrected the address issue half way only, it doesn’t make any sense why they can correct the address issue 100%, I called 3 times for this issue. The other issue is the phone line I requested to add to my service, I was told they will shipped the modem that same day I requested the service and still nothing as of today July/8/19 and one more called on 07/01/19 on this date the rep told me “there was some problem with shipping and if I did not receive it by Friday July/5/19 call them back.” How many times do I need to call them in order to fix such an easy issues? It’s frustrating.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Your service was subpar, I sent you at least 100 emails to let you know that. I also sent one email saying your are not authorized to make charges on my card, but you did anyway. You said that a return box would be sent within 7 days about three weeks later it showed up. In the meantime I sent your equipment via United Parcel Service, return my money.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Internet still going in and out when trying to play videos. Most of the time slow. I call on June 28th. Talk to a tech. It started doing better but in the last four days it slowed down again. The weather has been good the last few days.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Updated credit card. Person was very helpful and patient with an elderly person. Reassured me it was not a scam. Helped me understand what the problem was and how we needed to correct it. Thank you so much for being so Considerate. Glad to get this matter taken care of.

Original review: July 7, 2019

The support team was awesome. He worked with me until I was back online again. Patient and concerned with giving me a good experience. Would recommend Hughes Net if for nothing but the tech support part of it. Spot on.

Original review: July 6, 2019

He was very helpful. Online account was reset. He checked everything out, and was very friendly. He helped educate me on how to get the best from my services. He also was super positive. He checked our speeds. Told me what devices are active and using up our data. He made me feel like he really cared about getting us the best possible services.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Horrible, don’t bother or waste your time with this internet service. I have 20 MG of data each month, it runs out in 10 -15 days. The only things we do is web browsing and email. It is slow and takes forever to get customer service.... and they don’t to much to help! I am finding other sources and will dump this worthless service!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I switched to your network because you advertised about fast internet service. You LIED. I use the Geek Squad for my computer problems and they confirmed the problem is with my internet provider not my computer. But I was stuck with a two year contract and a high payment and slow internet. My contract is completed now and I will be looking elsewhere.

Original review: July 6, 2019

No stability in the internet. It doesn’t matter what they do on their end. My internet is too weak to even back up my phone. If I could I would definitely buy another service. It takes days on end of calling and complaining to get a little better service.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Slow internet. Found out after 6 months that the 5G was not connected, Had different password than 2G. The technician that helped had an extreme language barrier. When giving me letters and numbers for passwords or links, some of the letters spoken were indistinguishable. D,V G B all sounded the same. Took an extremely long tome to do a simple fix.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I talked to 2 people. They were both rude. They took money out of my bank account that I did not authorize. If anyone gets Hughes Net watch your bill, keep your bank statements but most of all never give them your account number because no matter if you agree with them or not they will take your money.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Mr ** was very knowledgeable & very courteous when I addressed my concerns! Mr ** took & skillfully weighed all my questions! Mr ** consulted with an associate that concurred with Mr ** research. The conconclusion & professionalism that Mr ** & the Hughes Team displayed to me; should be rewarded in an appropriate manner to Mr ** & all involved in resolving my concerns. Signed... Johnny **. Want SR... Thank you all at Hughes!!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

The person we worked with was excellent. Took care of us right away. Very professional in handling our call. We need more people in customer service like him.

Very pleasant experience and will not hesitate to call again if needed. Thank you. Happy July 4th. Enjoy your weekend.

HughesNet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs