Hughes Network Systems

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the worst internet service I have ever had. I have had the service for 2 months and have been on the phone with tech for 1.5 hours, 1 hour and 1 hour and 45 minutes. When we first signed up we were told their CHOICE plan would be sufficient for our needs and the first week and a half it was fine. Than suddenly we started having problems with the service slowing down.

Finally after the third phone call to tech. we upgraded to the PRIME plan. After that things were fine again until about 2 weeks now we are having similar problems. This company does not fulfill the service they claim. I was referred to Hughesnet from Directv. They should reconsider their affiliation with this company. They get you with their cancellation policy. If it were not for that we would cancel this service immediately.

My experience with Hughes Net has been very bad. The internet speed was slower than advertised as it relates to my use of laptop and tablet devices. Hughes Net insists on troubleshooting from their location without regard to what you are actually experiencing. I called in 5 times for help and the protocol is identical. They have you work with them to run online speed tests and even though the speed tests show less than contractually supported speeds they continue asking to run more tests. I have collectively spent over 5 hours going back and forth with their support group to no avail. They then refused to waive the early termination fee in spite of the fact the service contractually paid for was not being received.

I've never experienced internet like Hughes Net internet service. Many times we tried watching movies and we couldn't because the internet wasn't working. I lived in a third world country and experienced faster internet. My husband spent hours on the phone talking with tech support and nothing changed. When we decided to quit using Hughes Net they still charged us $350 for terminating. Please NO ONE waste your time or money on Hughes Net. It is a TOTAL scam. Half the time the tech support could hardly speak English. And they argued with my husband when he told them he wasn't interested in using them anymore.

Please save yourself the headache and find your internet elsewhere. My experience with them has been terrible from day one. The speeds they advertise are not true. When you call them to complain, they refer you to their engineering department and you're told they're working on it. Six months later I'm still having the same problem and after repeated phone calls and no results this was very aggravating. Another thing you have to watch with Hughes Net is them adding strange fees from month to month. Like a five dollar reconnect fee months into my service, which was refunded but why should I have to take time out of my day to handle situations like this. I finally broke up with Hughes Net and paid the early termination fee of 227 dollars. Please save your money and find some else. Hughes Network is a joke!!!

I am writing this letter in response to a bill from Hughes Net dated December 31, 2016 in the amount of $117.15, as well as a charge dated November 18, 2016 in the amount of $168.98. On November 17th, I called HughesNet to inquire about high-speed Internet services. Our new home had just been finished and we were moving in that weekend. Because I run a home business, I need services as soon as we moved. After giving the address, and the technician running their systems scan, it was determined that we were good candidates for their service. I then scheduled installation and paid the $168.98 fee to have their technician install services for the following day.

The following morning, the technician showed up to install services and placed the dish on the south corner of our home, drilled through the wall and placed their modem in our master bedroom. I was not present for installation but told him over the phone to place equipment wherever it was needed for the best connection possible.

Over the following weekend we were moving into the home and did not use the Internet at all. On Monday the 21st, I connected our 8month old router. Could not get the Internet to work, but in the midst of moving, waited to call tech support. On Tuesday the 22nd, I called tech support and went through various troubleshooting methods. Tried accessing the internet from 3 separate devices with no luck. The phone technician then determined it was a result of our equipment and suggested to me that we purchase a new router.

The following day, I went to Best Buy and purchase a brand new wireless router for the amount of $119.05. Late that afternoon, I hooked up the new router. I STILL could not get the internet to work. At that time, I called tech support again. Went through all the same troubleshooting scenarios and was again told it was our router. I explained that it was a brand new one and that I had previously called with issues. After that, I was told it was our computer. Our computer at the time was less than 60 days old. I explained that none of our devices could access the internet, not just the computer.

At some point during the phone call, we were able to connect but it was so slow, less than dial-up speeds, and then again failed. The technician asked if I could hardwire the computer to their modem. I then explained that there was no way to move our large computer from the office to the master bedroom where the modem was located. I was then told that they would have to send someone out for a service call but that I would be charged for that. At that time, I became upset and told them to go ahead and cancel the services.

After Thanksgiving weekend and after I had calmed down, I called HughesNet again to make sure services were cancelled and to ask what to do with their equipment so that we were not charged. I was told the account was still active. I told them I wanted to cancel. It was confirmed to me that the account would be cancelled. When asked what to do with the equipment, I was told there was no reason to send it to them, as they would be updating equipment and it would soon be obsolete. I was told that they would not charge a cancellation fee based on the fact that I never received the promised services. I asked for a refund of the $168.98 installation fee for the same reason, as I never would have signed up with HughesNet had I known that it would not work. I was told that they would NOT refund that amount.

I then called my bank, Chase, and explained the situation to the claim department. On the 29th of November, Chase determined that my claim was valid and reversed the HughesNet fee of $168.98 to my account. At this point, I thought the issues with HughesNet had been resolved. On January 8, 2017 after checking the mail, received a bill dated December 31st, 2016 from HughesNet in the amount of $117.15, nothing itemized. I then called the billing number located at the bottom to inquire what the bill was for. I spoke to a woman with an accent named Hazel who explained that it was the setup fee. I explained everything previously written in this letter.

At that time, she placed me on hold to ask a supervisor what to do. When she came back on the line, she claimed that there was nothing they could do for the charge. I asked to speak to the supervisor and she refused and claimed that he would tell me the same thing regarding the charge. I then told her that I would not be paying them any money for services I had not received. At that time she said, "I see on your notes from tech support that you were able to connect to the Internet, it was just slow. So based on that we will not waive the bill." I then got off the phone with her. After that, I called Chase to inquire about the charge and asked for any documentation they had received from the merchant when the fee was reversed. At that time, I was told, "No rebuttal from the merchant has been received." My hope from this letter is that it will be known the horrible business practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Was told by DirecTV that I should contact HughesNet for my internet service; was quoted a low price which was significantly less than my current internet service. When I called I was told that the basic service would be sufficient for my needs and that I have a 30 day trial plan and could terminate service anytime within the 30 days. She did mention that a dish would need to be installed and would fit very nicely behind my DirecTV dish but it actually turned out to be twice as large. From the first day, the download speed was not even a full Mbps, although it was promised to be 10 Mbps. On the second day, I called again and had to endure 2-2 1/2 hours of disconnect calls, service techs that had me checking this, hard wiring my modem to my laptop, etc but nothing helped.

The third day, I called and told the CS person I wanted to cancel. Again I faced disconnected calls, promises of upping my speed to a Gig and was even told that a new satellite was coming on board in January and that would solve all speed issues that she admitted everyone was having. Same crap the next day and this time I demanded that my service be terminated. Same runaround for 30-40 minutes but finally a person (third call before her) agreed to cancel my "30 day trial" but only at the end of the 30 days - I wanted it terminated immediately but was told it had to wait for the full 30 days. I was then told that it would cost me $100 to remove the dish; after 15-20 minutes of bantering back and forth, her supervisor agreed to remove at no cost. I was told I need to send back modem, cord and transmitter.

When the installer came out, he immediately informed me that he had no authority to remove the dish, only to remove transmitter. He then told me that it was very common to install a HughesNet dish on the first of the week and drive by the house 5-7 days later and see the transmitter removed but the dish still on the roof. I paid him $25 to remove the damn dish and as of this day am waiting for Hughes to send me instructions on sending their junk back. My advice...never, never get involved with these shysters. They will tell you one lie after another. How they are still allowed to stay in business is beyond me but please do not believe one word they will tell you.

First of all I wished I had looked up the reviews on this company before now. My 12 year old son was getting Xbox One with Xbox Live for Christmas which requires internet. Our TV service is with DIRECTV so I called to see about internet, our area is very limited to internet service but they partner with HughesNet. I spoke to a representative with HughesNet and explained to them why I needed the service. We talked about the online gaming and playing Live. Well, Christmas Day gets here and my son couldn't play Live with his friends, very frustrated 12 yr old.

I called the day after Christmas and spoke to Technical Support and I was informed that HughesNet didn't support Live gaming because it was satellite. Not one time did the sales rep tell me that and now I was informed by the tech that removed the dish off my house that this happens all the time. They want to sell you the service and then they're left trying to explain why it doesn't work. Now we are hit with all these charges for a service we never received. Called and spoke to a supervisor, and he said they wouldn't refund the charge for the router of $113.00 which is sitting there in the box. Worst service and very dishonest company. Beware.

I had recently moved and could not transfer service. I noticed the previous owners had DirecTV satellites so I called them only wanting internet service. They LIED to me and told me that I had to get TV in order to get internet. I choose the lowest package available and the installer tells me that TV package isn't even available and that I don't have to get TV in order to get the internet. So I just get the internet which had the slowest speeds EVER even with just one device in usage. So I call today to finally cancel after being unhappy for 2 months and Ms. ** the Account Manager literally tells me that she knows the speeds are slow and they should be getting better satellites by the end of the second quarter. HOW IS THAT MY FAULT? I tell her politely that that's fine but I would still like to cancel so she then proceeds to tell me how that will be $400 to cancel.

SO THANKS A LOT HUGHESNET. Thanks for my original monthly bill of $50 for 2 months of service plus a $400 cancellation charge for a problem you know you have...for a total amount of $500 charged for 2 months of your crappy service. I'm in sales myself but I'm absolutely astounded by the brutal ** and crappy service of this company...from lying to me in the very beginning. I NEVER SHOULD HAVE LET THE INSTALLER DO HIS WORK. My next step is to report them to the Better Business Bureau and contact my bank and file a complaint to try to block them from taking $400 out of my account that they clearly do not deserve. Save your sanity and go with a different company.

About 3 years ago we signed up with Hughes Net for internet service. The area we live in is rural, so we are limited in internet service providers. We were unable to use any gaming systems, apps that came with our smart tv or download movies or shows with our satellite tv service. In addition, when you cancel service you are required to return their equipment by getting up on your roof (or wherever the equipment was installed) and taking down the radio transmitter (unless you want to pay a company to do it for you). Hughes Net sends a return box with instructions that state "Do not get on your roof" to get their equipment, but make sure to get it back to them (at your expense) within 21 days of your last billing cycle. There are other companies that will provide internet service so please do not sign a lease or any agreement with this company.

This is service is the worst I Have seen. My mother-in-law got the service and had it for years. The service was horrible. Slow, constantly losing connection and even with connection it was too slow to go online with most of the time. Their response was to tell us to buy "tokens" so the speed would increase. My mother-in-law had her other daughter-in-law take care of her accounts for her because she is a disabled senior with multiple health issues. In June, her daughter-in-law that set up the account for her moved away. In September my mother-in-law was getting ready to move and canceled her HughesNet account. It took almost three months for her to receive the boxes to send the equipment back and the only reason she got it was because one of the boxes happened to go to an address where the person knew her.

We have no idea where they got the address from as it was in a different town than she lived in and never lived at the address they sent it to. After all this they charged her over 200 for not returning the radio transmitter because they said it doesn't matter that she is a disabled senior, she was to go on the roof and uninstall the transmitter they installed and send it back. Between their charges and the bank fees, it totaled $295 causing her unable to pay for her rent or prescriptions. This should be illegal. She is a disabled senior and as far as I am concerned, this is a form of abuse to her.

Horrible downloads and worse uploads speeds unless you are willing to work 2-8 am. I understand HughesNet took a big fat check from the US government to launch the latest satellite that may get subscribers to the year 2010. Their ads and marketing are completely deceptive. You can only check email, and read text during the day. If you have any other option for internet choose it.

They promise a full-service telephone answering service but give no instructions on how to set it up. My company lost two weeks of phone messages because we were not informed by Hughes to instruct all callers to press * at the end of their messages. There is no competent customer service for this product. The call center is located in the Philippines and workers repeat responses from structured Q & A lists as if they were themselves machines. On the Internet side, we experienced an outage the first week of service. HughesNet has a fancy slick advertising approach but exceptionally poor service.

I am a customer of HughesNet and now paying $59.00 per mo. for my internet connection. I do very little streaming, but they cut my speed so I can't stream. They bill me 23rd of the month and on the 31st they cut my speed. Now I have to wait until the 23rd of next mo. to get my 5mbps. Speed up. I did no streaming during that time, but when I installed Roku and was watching a movie they cut my speed before it was over. This happened to me quite often. I was never told when I signed up Dec 15, 2015. I only have a small time to stream. I would like to cancel, but there is a stiff penalty to opt out. I believe I was duped and ripped off. The only reason I signed up was for enough speed to watch movies. Boy was I wrong. I give them a 1star rating and I am being liberal.

I chose Hughes because it is only one of two in my area, but deeply regret it. First, the viewing of videos is very slow and freezes continually. Sometimes when viewing from Acorn.TV videos play for 1 second then freeze for 2 to 3 seconds. Sounds like a short time, but when you are watching it seems longer. I believe this freezing is because I have the second cheapest service and they are trying to make me purchase more GB using a more expensive program by making my service sporadic.

Also, you need to watch your billing because they bill incorrectly, or add charges for no reason. I just went to my Hughes account and saw I had a .22 cent credit which was correct, but they had added a .15 charge. I called and they told me that the charge was labeled TAX. I said you charged me tax on my invoice so why are you charging an additional .15 for tax? She did not know and said she would take the charge off. This is not the first time they charged me incorrectly, but now I am watching and catching their attempts to get more money from me than they are due. Obviously as soon as my contract with them is up I will be switching to an honest more capable less expensive service.

Absolutely worst service ever. I had the most expensive plan they have, and it was super slow and unreliable. Also very limited amount of data per month for the very expensive price. Could not stream movies or online gaming, even though I was told this would be no problem when we first signed up. Took forever to open web pages, and trying to watch a simple video on YouTube or something someone had posted on Facebook, would take forever to get through, with constant lagging and buffering, thus draining additional data.

After a year of this horrible service, we canceled and had to pay an early cancellation fee of $265.00, even though they could not provide the promised service. And then we were lied to about the upfront cost, that was supposed to be credited back after 11 months. $99.00 stolen. We ended up switching to Verizon by getting a double the data with Verizon and saving over $30.00 per month from what we were paying with HughesNet.

In addition the speed is no comparison, as we know have full access with no limitation on even gaming or streaming movies. We also have unlimited, so once we pass our normal 36 Gigs, we still have unlimited data at a little slower speed, but it is still faster then Hughes nets normal speed. Plus Verizon provides carry over data for any unused data from previous months. Oh and did I mention they threaten you that if you do not return the equipment within 21 days they will automatically charge your account again another $300.00 and you have to go out and undo the receiver piece on the satellite dish yourself, even though they recommend a certified electrician and they had a technician install it in the first place. Worst, worst, worst company ever.

I was luring into buying HughesNet.com by Bait and switch techniques thru their local company. I was told it would be $39.99 plus tax and that my bill would be about the same as it was with Rise Broadband ($43.95+/-). I was never told about $9.95 rental fee of a modem, even so I had one or about a 2 yr contract, or that there was a 30 day opt-out period, or a $400+ penalty for getting out early. I was also told there was 5mbps download & 1 mbps upload, but nothing about a 10 gig Max usage per month. All I received after they installed it was one sheet of paper with an account # and tech support #s and and IP address. This was total bait and switch.

I see why there of almost 2,000 complaints here on ConsumerAffairs.com. I kick myself for not checking here first but just assumed they were a reputable company. They now take $64.50 per month out of my account. If I call customer service, it's almost impossible to understand their person in billing, besides being put on hold for so long.

They say that we have a two-year contract, but that I believe is false as a contract as an agreement between two knowledgeable parties and how could I be a knowledgeable party when I didn't know there was a two year contract to begin with? A little over 2 weeks ago I filed a complaint with the BBB against Hughesnet.com's bait and switch tactics and have not heard anything yet other than they are investigating. With all the complaints here, I guess it may be time for a Class action suit against them.

I have been with Hughes Network for internet for many years and though it has worked over the years it has never lived up to the billing. If you want to watch videos or play games this system will have you so pissed you will want to throw the whole thing in the yard. It will blaze around 4 or 5 in the morning when most sane people are asleep. When you call in the tech support people will walk you through a pre made list of knowns that takes more time than worth and have you plugging and unplugging everything in sight when all they need to do is get you to someone who can speak English and fix the damn thing. Just an hour ago I tried calling and got what sounded like a party going on in the background with overly loud talking and laughter and if that was not annoying enough the guy's English horrible. Bottom line, if you have a wired option or a cellular option use it. This system will have you sitting around waiting on something to happen.

I got HughesNet internet service because I was tired of paying high internet service bill to Comcast in August 2016. My first mistake was when I called them, I was never informed that they would have to install a dish (that was my fault for not doing the research). When the technician installed the dish, he informed me that the service is little slow but in few days, it would clear up and I would have much faster service. Well, that should've been the second clue but I believe the tech guy. As many before me indicated, my service never got better and it would take about 5 minutes to get on a social media website. It got so bad I stopped using my wi-fi at the house.

Today, I decided I had some time to call and cancel my service that I never used but was paying more than initially advertised. I just spent 42 minutes on the call with three customer agents and the "supervisor" name Chris ** with very heavy accent who informed me that they couldn't look up my account to see my data usage for the past 5 months. Don't they charge you if you go over your data usage plan??? Anyways, after much back and forth, I am going to pay my $350 termination fee and will to take the dish down from my roof and will to mail it back to them within 45 days to avoid another $300 in equipment fees. I hope if anyone is considering HughesNet for their internet service, please please please DON'T!

I cancelled my account today!!! Whooo hooo!! Normally that's a bad thing but for Hughesnet... what a weight off my shoulders. Hughesnet is a "shady" internet provider that relies on early termination fees for their annual profits. I was promised high speed internet (100gigs/month). The salesman assured me this is sufficient for normal streaming. Lies! Lies! Lies! What I got was 50 gigs/mo that kind of not really worked then 50 "bonus" gigs from 2am-8am... oooh goody! My family is asleep at 10. Thanks Boosnet! I got hit with the early cancellation fees because they couldn't offer a real solution. The only help they gave me was and I quote: "Netflix has an option now where you could stay up until 2am when your "bonus" gigs kick in and download movies, so in the morning when you wake up, you could watch them." Wow... everyone looking for internet providers read mine and all of these reviews and take warning.

This company is not worth your money or time. They are a bunch of crooks selling a lousy product. Shame on you Dish Network for promoting this crap company??? I am paying a $350 early termination fee with no regrets. Now I'll be watching my bank account to make sure they don't try and scam more money from me. Do not I repeat do not sign on with these criminals.

Cancelled our service in November 2016. They billed us for the remainder of the month. Indicated at the end of the billing cycle, December 1st, they would then mail us a box to return the modem, radio transmitter, cable, power supply. I called three times to customer service to check on the box. It didn't arrive until just before the 16th of December. The customer service representative told me I had until January 15th to get it back to them or I would've charged 300.00. The box contained a notice of 21 days from end of billing cycle, not 45 days. Custom service rep today indicated 45 days from Jan 1st and said I would have to call to get a refund if I'm charged. They don't have a credit card to charge me, so if they send me a bill I'm turning it over to the police. It's a scam to get more money out of you. They should be shut down for the scam practices they have.

Customer for about a month. Had to upgrade plan to keep from running out of MB's: 26 days left in billing period and I'm out of Anytime data with 82% of Bonus Bytes available. At this rate service could cost about $500.00 a month. And this is with the upgraded plan ($79.00 a month). Spent over hour and a half with someone I could barely understand only to have them tell me they were having issues with the very subject I called, and experienced, about. Community section is educating me to the fact that if ANYTHING that draws data to it: e.g. DirecTV, iPhone, router, router extenders is on it is depleting data. Sales rep assured me that since it was only two adults, seniors at that, in the house data draw should not be an issue. I am contacting the state of California to submit a formal complaint. Totally dissatisfied and would not wish this service on my enemies.

Been with HughesNet for a while. I got to where I no longer needed their services. There was times I would pay for the service and did not use it. The internet is very slow, or it may freeze up. So called to terminate my service. WELL this began a big PAIN. They wanted to give me a deal. I said no! Then they agreed to terminate my service. Would send me a box. No box came. Called to find out where was box, then got my mail a bill from them for $370.00. Called them "what was the 370 for?" They said until they received the equipment this was what I owed. Told them I never received a box. Would not pay this amount.

It took 4 calls to them before I received a box. They sent someone to my home to get the radio off the satellite which was on my two storey garage with a steep roof. They did not charge me but at first said it would be $100.00 for the technician to come and take this off. I said "I would not pay this amount." They waived the fee. Technician came, got the radio (transmitter) off. He took pictures of everything and told me what to return. So, I packed everything like it was supposed to be and made sure it was secured in box.

I wrote down all the informations of the box and took the bottom part of shipping sticker off for myself for tracking the box. Inside the box you will get shipping information and where to take it to. I had to drive 22 miles to a Office Depot. When I went to return it they said they no longer accept UPS service. The lady was very nice and told where another business was that did. Found the business which was another 3 miles away. The gentleman at the business gave me a receipt and told me to keep all the information and to track the package... that HughesNet will lie and say they did not receive it when they did.

So I called HughesNet and told them that it had been shipped. They ask me for the tracking number. I gave it to the man. And told him that I would be tracking the box and also what the gentleman said and that I will know when they receive the box. And that I did not trust them. I wished I had checked them out before doing any business with them. People please check out this company. They are very dishonest. They outsource their billing overseas. Will find only American Company and only use company that don't outsource their business overseas.

I wish I had read the ConsumerAffairs reviews on HughesNet before I threw away money with them. Everything negative said about them in the reviews held true with my experience. It was frustrating that I could not even connect with their own website most of the time! I decided to cut my losses and pay the $360 early termination fee. Fortunately the installer of the Internet service I signed up with to replace HughesNet removed the antennae so that I was able to return their equipment. HughesNet is unbelievably bad! Don't throw away your money like I did.

Hughes Net should be avoided at all costs. Customers are not their concern. I faithfully paid for years. The service wasn't the best but my real issue was the sale of my home. We were told to climb on the roof and remove their equipment. This in itself is wrong. You put it there, you should remove it. Weather no factor for you the customer. So I send the equipment back in the box they provided and label. Unfortunately UPS screwed up and the box was later sent back to me damaged. I immediately called them and explained the situation. Another box was dispatched.

AFTER speaking with them they made an UNAUTHORIZED WITHDRAWAL OF OVER $300! Admitted they didn't have authority but would not reverse the charge, even if it caused a hardship to me and my family. Any please think before entering into anything with this company as you are not their concern. The customer means NOTHING! Remember, an admitted unauthorized charge to my bank account. This could devastate a bank account/credit of an individual and they don't care.

I called HughesNet inquiring about internet availability and pricing. The male rep was unbelievably rude and although I said I was shopping and comparing prices he repeatedly asked to run "a credit check" and sign me up. After his third attempt at this while refusing to go off script and answer simple questions about costs, equipment, etc. he said "you just called to debate me you are not buying" and he hung up on me. Unbelievable. I see other reviewers mention the horrible customer service and ridiculous $300 cancellation fee if you don't keep service 2 years and return equipment. Will never consider them again.

Not only is the internet service horrible, so is the customer service. I was a loyal customer despite how bad the internet service was. Then, finally, I had enough and paid the $224.00 cancellation fee. Once you cancel you have to send back their equipment that does not work anyway and believe me they don't make that easy. I am a single mother with 9 month old twins and had to get up on my roof and disconnect the radio transmitter. I was unsuccessful in doing so because it was tighten so strongly. So I called and had to pay to have someone come out and get the equipment. Which, they don't even take the equipment, they simply disconnect it for you and you have to send it back. But be careful because if you don't meet their deadline then they charge your card unexpectedly right around the tune of $318.00 without your knowledge.

The reason why it took so long for them to get their equipment back was 1. I never received the box until 11 days after I had canceled (they told me I was wrong about that date when I am not I have the paper to prove it) and 2. The wait list to get a technician out to my house was over a week long. So spare yourself the headache and don't get Hughesnet!!!

If you still want to get this service after reading any of these reviews, because you think this company has a bunch of customers and these complaints are just the ones that have done reviews, do NOT purchase the equipment. Rent it (so you don't get stuck with it) with the intention of purchasing it later if it DOES work out. Go to Best Buy or another electronics store and purchase any router or the modem they install has one LAN port (so you can just hook up your device with a ethernet cable direct) and test your download speed/upload speed before you sigh the installer's paperwork. I used testmy.net and do the combined test (upload & download) you will test around 1.8mbps up and 600kbps down.

After the installer calls Hughes Net they will boost your speed so you will be getting at least the minimum (they advertise 10mbps down and I think 2 up, but say they only guarantee 6mbps down and 1mbps up). The problem is they will tune it back down after you sign the installers papers. If you call in to try and resolve any problem you will be on the phone for quite some time repeating yourself, I've found my limit is an hour and a half, as I did it on four separate occasions. Good luck.

I signed up for Hughes Net in 2015. Worst experience of my life. Very slow when it worked. I was told I could watch Netflix but could only watch 6 movies then had to wait till the next month. This is not what I was told when I signed up. If you have a problem and you call their service line it's in the Philippines and you cannot understand these people. After one year of disappointment I canceled their service then got billed $265.00 and had to climb on the roof to remove a camera from the dish. Mind you I live in Michigan and this is December. I could go on and on so please if there is any other service out there use that one. You will be a lot happier. I do not understand how a company like this can stay in business.

Hidden additional install fees and monthly fees. Opted to cancel and had to call twice. Company would quickly send emails and texts for confirmation of service, installation, etc... But when calling to cancel only given a reference number and when I called the next day no cancellation order was put in. I was prompted to call because the install company was calling for a reschedule after I put in an order for cancellation. Was told order was put on hold and doing a text message as we are on the phone stating order on hold. So they put my order on hold knowing I'm calling to cancel and thankfully a text comes through so I know what you are doing. Had the rep sit on the phone with me until a confirmation email came through. Of course nothing for 20 mins. Fraud Fraud Fraud. I never file complaints but this was a horrible experience. How do they stay in business with these practices?

I don't even know how this fly by night company stays in business. It is horrible. The internet hardly works and is slow. The landline phone is a joke. 1/2 the time there is NO dial tone. When people call here they cannot hear me. Hughes Net also offers voice mail which I did NOT want. Apparently I have lots of messages and didn't even know I had. Every time you call customer service it is someone who can't speak English. I have had no landline now for 18 hours and they are telling me it's all Hughes Net users but I find that hard to believe. In order to "get out" of the contract there is a fee over $300.00. It's a joke. DO NOT try to save money by switching to this company. They stink!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
  • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
  • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
  • Best for Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Compare Internet Service Providers