3.6/5 (377 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

Top HughesNet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

This company always gives a 100% when trying to resolve customer's problems. I always receive great customer service! I am always satisfied with the end results. HughesNet has hir...

Verified

I have really liked having Hughes Net for my internet. ... They really go out of their way to makes sure that any issues you may have are immediately addressed in a timely manner ...

What is HughesNet?

HughesNet has high-speed satellite internet with a 25 Mbps download speed on all plans. HughesNet also offers a “No Data Cap” promise that guarantees customers will receive service at a reduced speed instead of being charged more if they go over their data limits. With its “bonus zone,” customers can use 50 gigabytes of additional data each month during off-peak hours.

Traditional fiber or cable internet services may not be available to people who live in rural areas. However, because HughesNet is a satellite-based company, users all across the nation have access to its plans. According to the company, you can receive its services as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky.

HughesNet pricing

HughesNet offers four packages that start at $49.99 per month. All plans include 25 Mbps download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds, but the plans differ in how much data can be used. With its lack of a hard cap on data, HughesNet does not charge overages for extra data use, but it does significantly throttle service speeds.

Customers can purchase their equipment outright or rent it for about $15 per month during their two-year contract. Customers must pay a $99 activation fee as well.

HughesNet FAQ

How fast is HughesNet?
All HughesNet plans include speeds of 25 Mbps, which is considered average for the industry.
How much is HughesNet?
HughesNet plans start at $49.99 per month.
Is HughesNet compatible with my Windows and Mac operating systems?
HughesNet works with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
What is HughesNet for Business?
HughesNet for Business is a division of HughesNet that offers business-specific internet services. It can be an affordable option for rural businesses that have a hard time getting access to traditional internet services.
Who owns HughesNet?
HughesNet is owned by EchoStar.
Can you work from home with HughesNet?
Yes, you can. With speeds of 25 Mbps, working from home should be fairly straightforward with HughesNet.
Does HughesNet offer TV?
HughesNet offers TV packages through DISH and DirectTV.

Is HughesNet good?

For many rural business owners and families, HughesNet is a very affordable option for internet service. Although its plans are fairly limited in terms of flexibility and options, they’re designed to fit most families’ needs. Some homes that use the internet for more specific uses, such as gaming or HD video streaming, may find that its speeds aren’t ideal, but with its free "bonus zone," customers can download movies and install updates after hours to limit data usage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

So far so good! Service is very reliable. It’s very good for genealogy work. I’ve used also for major news outlets. The serviceman was excellent on connecting the dish. Bologna thanks for your reply. Thanks and yes I did and it was great. Thank goodness for all the help in our life. We love it and thanks everyone for all our lives together. We have no idea what we need for our future. Thanks for our help and your help with our new job. Thanks again for your efforts and our efforts to help us get to the house and we are all good. Thanks.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I was having great issue with my residential service. I had been on the phone with tech support for hours as a result. I didn't find out that there was an issue with my dish's alignment until I called to cancel my service after I switched to a business account. That is when I learned that a technician should have been dispatched to fix the problem. I was not even aware at that point that there was an issue with the dish. I just knew that my service speed was awful. I am really happy that I switched. My service has not been this good in forever.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Well, the tech kept in contact with me the entire day. It was storming and he didn’t want to work in the rain and I thought that was fair because who would. So I told him he could come later in the day. He informed me when he was on the way. He actually got to my place before I did. He asked me if it was okay for him to start outside first since I wasn’t there yet and I said sure. Once I got there he came in. We talked. Shared stories. And then he told me that he and his wife was getting over Covid. At that point it’s too late to ask him to put a mask on, he was done.

He worked well and shared pics of his grandkids and the conversation was welcomed but I wish the customers would know from the beginning if someone had or has Covid. Myself already having a lot of health issues, I would have just asked him to wear a mask before entering. But his service was great. Now once he left the internet went out 4 times within the first hour. I’ve heard that the internet service is not that good itself. I won’t fully judge yet. I’ll give it a few months.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

The installer came late Friday evening. He stayed until 11:30 working in the dark with only two flashlights. He kept dropping things and decided to come back another day. Nobody came on Saturday or Monday so I called to see when someone was going to come and finish the installation. I couldn't understand the lady I spoke with so I asked to speak to her supervisor. His name was Josh. He was very sympathetic, but said it would probably be November first. I was upset! He said he would put the order in again and hope for the best. I had to accept that. The next morning, Greg, the original installer called and said he was coming to finish the job even though it was his day off. He did come and finished the installation even though it took him until 5:30 that evening. I greatly appreciated him doing that, although I did ask for a manual and he said they didn't give them out anymore.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Lady on phone walked me through troubleshooting my problem. When we couldn't fix it, she set up a service date. The technician called the next day, said he could fit me in his schedule while he was in my area that day, instead of coming back on my scheduled day. I had no problem with him arriving a day earlier. Took some time to figure out the problem, but it all came out good. Really appreciate the knowledge of the technician, he knew exactly what to try o solve the problem. Nice gentleman and the lady on the phone was nice as well. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

This is the worst internet service I have ever had. Daily I lose connection, and buffer more than I can use. It drops me so often it is now just normal. I would have better service with a piece of foil and stick waving in the wind. It is horrible. No matter the weather.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

My husband passed away, so I called to have service cancelled. The gentlemen on the phone was rude and refused to cancel my service DESPITE the fact that a copy of Death Cert had been sent over to them. I was on the phone with them for almost an hour before they would even do anything! Not to mention the price is terrible, EVEN with auto billing!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

Sometimes the incredible dishonesty of a company just makes you want to gag. After 3 years of mediocre service and Hughes techs telling me I needed to buy more time eventually paying $3100 pesos for supposedly 50G, we had a hurricane and were closed three weeks. When I called for service, they said we had used up all our time, and we needed to buy “tokens”. It was and had been a scam. When I posted on social media and consumer sites, they punished me dropping service to .01 GB. I ordered Starlink, received the package in 10 days, and installed it in an hour. Now instead of 3-4 MGPBS, we are getting 180-220 with no limits. I now pay $2200 pesos monthly. When I called Hughes to cancel, the accountant Abby ** told me I had to pay for the previous month. Since I always paid monthly in advance, this was another attempted scam.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

The services didn't work all that well in my location. Then, when I was moving they charged me another 350 in "cancelation fees" as they said my contract was for 2 hrs. When I signed up I told them that I was only going to be needing the service for 6 months and they assured me there were no cancelation fees. Not the case. I would avoid this service unless it is your only option. In that case "buyer beware".

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

The Tech who installed the service was professional and thorough. We have only had this service for two weeks but have been pleasantly surprised by the streaming capabilities. We believe that this is the best service available for a rural community.

HughesNet Company Information