1.11/5
Based on 428 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hughes Network Systems

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

2505 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The service was bad from getgo, constant buffering on TV/Roku. Many many calls and tests revealed I was only getting 1.5mps and I was paying for 20mps. Then they said I'd ran out of data, so they gouged me for extra data. Still bad reception. It went on and on. It is bait and switch. They kept telling me, you ran out of data, to make me pay more. I'd call, I was nice and reasonable, they'd hang up. Worst company ever.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

**If you cancel your service be sure to document your returned equipment better than I did, keep your tracking numbers.** Cancelled our service after about 4 months. Hughes Net service was slow and spotty, customer service rep told me it would be fast enough for Netflix which was an absolute lie. Happy to pay the $350 cancellation fees to be rid of this service. Months later I was charged $216.50 for equipment that wasn't returned, even though I returned everything according to the directions sent to me. Representatives tell me there's no way they can prove I actually sent it back. They do have record of the other 2 items I sent back. THEY WERE IN THE SAME BOX!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Hughes Net, which I canceled in December. I have had nothing but trouble with since day one. I forefilled all my financial obligations ahead of time. Now took out $212.50 out of my account. They said they would credit me in 24 hours. Then said I had to call to have then credit my debit card. I called, I have to wait 10 days and call back and they will put it on my Debit card. What do they think I'm supposed to do for 10 days. Guess I don't need food or gas. I get paid biweekly. This is horrible. I am so mad. Then they hung up on me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

When I first signed up I was told I was under no contract and could cancel at any time. I had unlimited plan. I went through the GB within days and went to bonus Zone which internet ran horrible. Went to disconnect service and hit with commitment charges. So they deceived on contract/commitment. They said it was sent in email when installed. Never agreed to a commitment. They are so deceptive. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

When I signed up, I told them I am not subscribing to cable. I will be streaming most of the time. They told me I made the perfect choice. What they failed to tell me is that I only have 20GB per month, and one hour of streaming costs me 6 GB of data!! So doing the math, I can stream 3 one hour shows per month! And calling support... if you know Chinese or understand their accent, it's still not going to help. But at least you get to have a fun conversation continually saying "I'm sorry, I can't understand you."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have had Hughes Network since August 2017. When I contacted them, they never mentioned that you are locked into a 2 year contract. Also you have to pay a rental fee for the modem which they also don't tell you. Don't even try to stream using Amazon Stick... Super delay. I finally gave up and went with Satellite TV for my TV. So every month I pay a high monthly payment for an internet that I never use. Don't believe them. Get it in writing up front. Do yourself a favor and don't get Hughes Net.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have had HughesNet for the past 7 months and it has been a horrific experience, constantly slow loading of all pages constant freezing up, I don't like bashing anyone but this is baaad. I am so frustrated. Sorry HughesNet. This is a swing and miss.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Their internet stinks, very slow and sometimes just stops. A complete waste of money and time! My internet my cell phone provides is faster than what they provide and most of the time I have to resort to using my phone. I will not support HughesNet again even if they were the only service around.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The sales people were very good at quoting numbers on how fast their service is. My wife cannot use it on her cell phone when she is at home because it take so long to load. She will just switch to her data plan to get the information she needs. My preteen children also find it will not allow the games on their iPads to function. I should have known when they told me the cancellation fee ($265). Which they did not mention until very late in the sales process or the length of the contract (2 years). So after less than a year I will just have to pay them off to get rid of this worthless service. Do not believe them when they tell you it is comparable to the cable or landline services. It is not.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Hughesnet is the worst internet out there you can have. I highly recommend that no matter where you are, do not get this internet. I get better internet from my mobile data at the slowest speed than from Hughesnet. They put me in a 2-year contract and I had a couple months left but then I moved. They said that just because I moved, they had to restart the contract to a 1-year contract and that to cancel, it would be over $200. I wouldn't recommend this internet to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had HughesNet because it was the only ISP where I lived. The service was horrible; slow and frequent outages. I received a job offer on the other side of the country that I took. When I went to cancel my services I was told it would be nearly $300 to cancel it early! I was never told there was a time frame I was contractually obligated to keep my services. I argued with the rep but apparently I had agreed to these terms that were never explained to me, so I paid the cancellation fee, put their equipment in a box, dropped it off at a post office and moved across the country.

3 months later, just when I thought my problems with HughesNet were over, I received an email stating I had 7 days to resolve my account balance. When I called and explained my situation, I was hung up on. When I called back I was told that I had never returned my equipment, and I owed them $315. I told them I lived nowhere near my old address and I had dropped it off at a post office 3 months prior. I was told that I needed a tracking number for the package and that there was nothing they would do to remove the charge. This is clearly a predatory tactic to get all the money they can out of me. I have never had an experience where they cared about my satisfaction or any future business that I may provide them with. All they care about is getting all the money that they can out of out. So now I am about to be sent to collections over a package I cannot prove I shipped, at a post office 3000 miles away 3 months ago.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The service sucked. I live in the sticks so I expected it and I could deal with that. The issue I have is when I found better service and canceled Hughes net. I returned all the equipment per the instructions. They still charged me 210.60 stating I did not send back one of the components. I called them and they admit to the error on their end but now are telling me it will take 10-15 days to get my refund. I can survive without the money but for them to make an error and take money without approval or grounds and then not fix it promptly is absurd. I am calling my bank to place a complaint against the charge. I have also left a complaint with the BBB. I cannot fathom this company's lack of accountability. Many people live week to week and cannot handle a loss of this sum for two weeks.

I can understand if I was at fault but when I called they tried to tell me I returned the modem but not the transmitter. It wasn't until I showed proof that I sent them a package weighing over 23 pounds and offered to send them a picture of the satellite dish that they confirmed they made a mistake. That's fine and dandy but they still didn't correct the issue. They told me I have to call them back in 10 days for them issue a refund. How can they think this is ok? So 10 days to issue a refund and then wait another 5 days for the bank to process it. What a crock. I am beyond ticked off. They can charge you unjustly and just a few min but it takes them 2 weeks to fix it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I signed up for HughesNet internet service because there was no other viable options at the time where I live. The company lured me in with a low price deal for their 50 gb plan, and ended up downgrading me to their 30 gb plan without contacting me, and still charged me the same price as the promotional 50 gb plan. Moreover, the representative I spoke to when setting up my account said there is no long term contract, and that I could cancel at any time with no fees, and that is not true. After I set up the account, I called to cancel automatic payments, and they didn’t comply.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This is the worst internet there is. I thought it could not get worse than CenturyLink so I gave them a try. They lied to me saying the service would support the online school I was attending. The last lecture I listened to before getting other internet I got disconnected 23 times. I called them multiple times and always a different answer and different solution and none of them worked. The last tech I talked to said she couldn't help me cause it was snowing... They have you test speed on a third party service so there is no record of it.

When I called to disconnect and told them I would not be paying their 400 fee he said that he would waive it if the speed were slow. Much to my surprise a different website this time the one that records the speed. Why they didn't tell me to do this from the start is very obvious. I would have lots of proof of their terrible service. We did three speed test and mine all said below 15. The tech said, "Well mine say 35 so you will be responsible for the fee..." This seems like these guys are crooks. Please don't support this business. I will be contacting the FCC.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have HughesNet internet service because I live far out enough to where they don't have cable TV or internet service. We bought HughesNet Gen 4 last year (2017) and they slowed down our speeds so we would buy Gen 5 so we would renew our contract, I mean who renews a contract even though you're already giving them more money and buying their Gen 5 so we actually have internet that is usable.

Another thing is that they don't even give you unlimited data and the data they give you is clearly inaccurate from what they say. I watch a few ten minute videos and they say that I used up five gigabytes of data and on my phone it's not even half a gig. I am a PC gamer and I like playing online with my friends but most of the time when I play a game like Overwatch lags so much that I can't even play it or worse it completely disconnects me from the server, one of the first thing they say is not good for online gaming, they are saying that so you can't say that their internet speed is slow for gaming because they warned you. But even so that is still unacceptable. I mean seriously it's 2018, get with it, there is no excuse for internet that cannot connect to servers for extended periods of time.

Also they are way off with their advertising, they advertise they have a strong signal but whenever it's cloudy I can't even put up a Google doc, that's crazy. Usually docs aren't even a megabyte of data. When your data runs out you can expect speeds from 1 meg download and .50 megs on upload, (half a meg), down to not even 100 kilobytes per seconds on both sides. None of those numbers I just gave you are not enough to keep a server connection for a long period of time. I mean the only thing this internet is good for is light browsing (no google docs, pdfs, or slides), an occasional video and some very light downloading. Thank you for reading my personal review and experience with HughesNet. If you want to save a few dollars don't buy this internet, wait until a better internet comes along.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

So far I have been mislead on almost everything having to do with this new set up. 1) They were not able to set my dish the way they told me it would be installed. 2) Contacting customer service is slow, it takes forever to get a person on the line. 3) So far the customer service people I have dealt with have been people at call banks in a foreign country; very difficult to understand in some cases rude. One person actually hung up on me! 3) And now for the worst...They promise a 25 Mbps download speed. So far my new system is so slow all I do is watch my screen "stop and load". I can't even play a three minute music video on YouTube!

With my old system from WildBlue I had no problem at all. I could stream any video from any source with no interruption at all. My WildBlue system has not been updated since 2011 so with seven year old equipment I can run circles around my new HughesNet system!!! Are you kidding me??!! Wildblue is now ViaSat... Go with ViaSat, they have U.S. based customer service 24 hours a day and somehow they manage to run circles around HughesNet!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Dish network which provides TV service for me recommended Hughes Network (HNW). I reluctantly signed on with HNW on January 12, 2018. And boy was that a BIG MISTAKE. I have been on the phone with HNW techs every day since then. The internet is very slow, and most important to me and my wife, we're unable to FaceTime our grandkids. First, we're unable to see them, and the audio is delayed. Most times we end up just calling them on the phone. Today, February 8, 2018, I am going to call, and yes, wait one hour for my turn to speak to a rep to CANCEL Hughes Network, no matter what the consequences are. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HUGHES NETWORK, it will be the worst mistake you make.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This company will take money without your permission out of your account. Trust me, I could not transfer service to my new address and they said for me to call them when I am ready to get them again and just to hold onto the equipment. They never contacted me or anything. They just charge my card and I want to cancel and they charge me $300 without letting me know. Just took it out of my account. Half the time the service was slow and I had to use my Verizon hotspot. Do not get a contract with this company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

HughesNet used subcontractor BMB Communications to install the equipment for their HughesNet Gen5 service. This company changed my appointment window without consulting me. I called multiple times over several days leaving messages asking them to call me back to get the installation rescheduled. No one ever answered the phone or returned my calls. I also e-mailed them and received no response. When I called HughesNet they told me it was MY responsibility to contact BMB Com to get the appointment rescheduled. There was nothing THEY could do. The end result was me taking the day off. The first time I heard from this company was when their installer called to let me know he was on his way. He showed up in his personal vehicle (unmarked) and simply said "HughesNet".

We showed him where we wanted the dish installed and where he could run the wiring into the house. We asked him not to mount any wiring to the side of the house. Dish TV ran the cabling into our basement where it then splits off and runs to the rest of our home. We asked him to do the same. Despite this he mounted wiring to the vinyl siding of our house. A HughesNet customer service rep later explained to me that this was not uncommon. Why didn't the installer tell us this? Why did he do it anyway without an explanation? Why not at least mount it to the cinder block wall directly below the vinyl siding?

The installer decided to use the same entry point as the Dish TV cable. The hole was not wide enough so he drilled into the hole to make it wider. In the process he drilled through the Dish TV cable causing the TV to go out. When we informed him that we lost service as soon as he started drilling he said that it wasn't anything he had done. Just coincidence. He later admitted that he drilled through the cable (after he heard me on the phone talking to Dish TV) but assured us he would fix it. We assumed that he would just replace the cable. Instead he cut out the damaged portion of the cable and added connectors to each of the ends which he said he would connect later using a barrel. He mounted the dish, ran the cables and connected the modem. Everything seemed OK. The installer said that he had to run to the Home Depot to grab a barrel. He assured us that once he returned and installed the barrel he would do a walk through.

I expressed concern about the new connectors he added to the Dish TV cable being outside exposed to the elements. He said that he would seal and wrap them to keep them protected. He returned 35 minutes later, hopped out of his car, installed the barrel, burred the cable into the ground and took off. He never came back into the house to speak with us or perform the walk through. Shortly after he left the TV went out again. We went outside to check the connection. Not only did he not seal or wrap the connectors the installer never even crimped the connectors. The wire had shifted causing one end to come out its connector. We had to electrical tape the cable back together.

We were now concerned about the rest of the work the installer had done. We got up on the roof to look at the satellite. The installer had ripped off one of the roof shingles. Instead of telling us this he just sat it back into place. There were pieces of zip tie and wiring scattered around the dish. He shoved the plastic bag the bolts came in behind the dish instead of throwing it out. He cut some sheath off of the grounding wire, made a hook out of the exposed wire and looped it around a random part of the dish. He did not secure the wire to the dish. We followed the grounding wire which lead to the vinyl siding he had mounted the cables to. The grounding wire ended there.

We later reviewed the pictures the installer took and uploaded to the company’s website. He attached a prop to our electrical box making it look like he had run a grounding wire to it and took a picture. He then removed the prop. We then took a look at the cable going into the house. He ran the cable under the ductwork instead of around it. It is actually tight against the ductwork. He ran the cable through the doorway in our basement instead of off to the side the way the rest our cables/wires (including the Dish TV cable) are run. The cable runs to a hole in the floor which leads to my work area. The installer left the modem on the floor.

When I attempted to move it up to the desk directly above it (about 2 ½ feet) I discovered I could’t. There was no cable to spare. The modem was actually sticking up at a slight angle because the cable was so short. I called Dish the next day and spoke to a customer service rep. She assured me that she would escalate the call to the HughesNet Post Installation team. I waited a week but got no response. I called again and was informed that the notes were there but the call was never actually escalated. It was Fri. The rep (Mary) informed me that someone would get back to me by Tues. I finally got a call from Juan ** on Thurs. We went over the info again. He said he would have to escalate the call to their Distributor Escalation team. He said this team would contact the company that performed the install and have them send out a different installer to address the issues.

I informed him that I did not want the same company coming to my home again. He said he would have to get back to me. He told me that I would have to take pictures and e-mail them to him which I did. Another week went by with to communication from HughesNet. I called again and spoke to Juan ** (the paper got wet so I could’t make out his full last name). I went over the info AGAIN. He had me wait on hold while he spoke with a rep from the Post Installation team. I was informed that HughesNet had contacted BMB Com and told them to contact me to get the issues resolved. Despite the fact that I had made it clear I did not want this company coming to my home again. He said that he spoke to his direct supervisor and the MOD. This was the only solution they could offer me.

So to recap. HughesNet hires a company which sends out an installer who is lazy and deceitful. The installer damages my home and doesn’t tell me. He damages the cable to my Dish TV service and doesn’t fix it properly. He botches the install. I contact HughesNet and get the run around. In the end (23 days later) the only solution HughesNet has is to have the company that caused the problems in the first place come back out to fix the problems they created.

I wish I would have done a little more research on HughesNet before I signed up. I would have seen the complaints about that poor service (both the Internet service itself and HughesNet’s customer service). Bottom line. Don’t give HughesNet your business. I know that if you’re considering satellite Internet your choices are probably limited. Go with Exceed or Verizon’s Home Internet (previously called Home Fusion) service and save yourself the frustration of dealing with a company that could care less about its customers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Contacted customer service today about crappy service. Customer service rep told me they could not help me because I don’t have a computer with a landline. “Wow”. HughesNet does not have buyers remorse, and the Customer service rep of an internet company told me they don’t have the ability to email their customers with any confirmation. Save yourself time and money. Look anywhere else besides this substandard company. Zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I was a HughesNet customer for a few years. Really didn’t have much problem with my service. Everyone even though not many I spoke to could speak very good English was nice. My contract had been up for awhile. My job was starting us to work from home. They said we could not use satellite. Wasn’t going to be able to afford both so I had to cancel HughesNet. They did charge me a fee to cancel even though my contract was up. They sent me the box to send my equipment back. Sent everything they requested. Recently I was charged 219.50 from my account by HughesNet. I called and they said my equipment has not been received. I suggest if you have to go through this just to cancel because you can’t afford two internet provider. Don’t both getting HughesNet.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Recommend you don't do business with Hughes Net. Hughes Net has been my internet provider since 2014 only because I can't find another internet provider in the area. Still looking. The experience has been nothing but a nightmare. This last summer I upgraded to Hughes Net Gen5 with wishful thinking that the advertisement of faster internet was true... It's worse. My download speed recently has been less than 1.0 Mbps, I have spent hours on the phone with both Hughes Net support and engineering department (next step above support department). I have had Hughes Net replace the modem and techs come to the house. I have a large number of reference #'s documenting my continuous callings.

On December 4th I finally spoke to the engineering department, second scheduled call with the engineering department. The first, I waited a month and learned later they did schedule but neglected to call. On the second scheduled call on December 4th 2017, I was told by the engineering department that a lot of people in my area were having capacity issues and that I would have to wait a month. I asked how I would know if the problem was corrected and was told that the internet would get faster. They gave me some credit for my inconvenience. So I have been waiting, nothing has changed... I continue to pay for a product I cannot use because I am locked into a contract.

I called again last week, spent another 1-2 hours with the support department before I was referred, again, to the engineering department because again it was noted that my download speed was less than 1.5 Mbps. I was again told that the engineering department would call in 3 days. I am on day 5 and no call yet. I could call again, and I will, to the Hughes Net support and spend another 1-2 hours for them to refer me to the engineering department who may or may not call. Instead of calling them today, I am using my 1-2 hours to contact and place a review with Consumer Affairs. I am reaching out for advice and also to recommend to anyone who reads this, to avoid doing business with Hughes Net. If you have another internet provider in your area, use them instead.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

We previously used Wildblue satellite internet service provider and they were both expensive and unreliable. Switched to using an AT&T mobile hotspot which worked OK but was super expensive and data was capped to where we could not stream movies (like through Netflix). We are now on a Hughesnet contract. Can't get the 25 mbps they promise but speeds are OK. Issue is with satellite latency which means a LONG time for any command from out computer to get to satellite and back meaning trying to access a website often means a timeout. When streaming movies, we can't get great quality because of low download/streaming speeds but can watch movies. Sometimes there is significant buffering which should not happen IF their 25 mbps speed was real.

At peak times, performance is noticeably degraded. Their supplied equipment works fine and I purchased a range extender which picks up their router signal and relays it up to my shop office a couple hundred feet away. All in all, this ISP is a bit better than using a mobile hotspot because the 50 meg plan allows plenty of data (we were on a 32 meg hotspot plan).

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

We had the other satellite internet provider, and now have HughesNet. Both are horrible companies, with extremely poor service and reliability. Both companies will say anything to get the contract signed and then leave their customers frustrated and angry for the lack of any decent product performance. If you have a choice, do not choose satellite internet, you won't be happy with either company at all.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

When you call HughesNet to complain about no internet or phone they say they will come out for a $130 fee. Half the time neither are working. When asked to speak to manager you conveniently get disconnected! As soon as contract up we will get AT&T or DirecTV. If I could give minus stars I would!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I went with HughesNet because I thought satellite would be faster and more reliable. Very, very bad mistake. My whole system is five times slower than my previous service. I have to wait hours for a simple 30 min podcast to download. My regular browser is just too long to wait for. The shame is, I have paid more for a faster speed and it has not helped.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

In simple terms, will tell you anything to sign you up. Once we had the service, it wasn't near the speed we were told. We couldn't even operate 2 devices without the internet stopping/crashing. Said they would cancel contract and refund. We sent equipment back and have been fighting for months for the credit. Keep telling us it went through already, system is down for maintenance and call back, you name it. Stay the heck away them! Disastrously run company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been a HughesNet customer for less than 45 days and have had nothing but problems with my internet service! 3 phone calls which resulted in rebooting system and a nationwide outage. My internet is extremely slow and intermittent the majority of the time. They are finally sending a tech out on my one time "courtesy" call and I was informed if I needed a tech after this, it would be a $525 charge! I told them THAT wouldn't be happening because if I continue having problems, I am CANCELLING THEIR DAMNED service and see them in court if they pursue legal action or collections.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

First off no one speaks good English. I subscribed to them back in December. I had it for a week and cancelled because the satellite dish was terrible. Very slow. When I called to cancel they gave me a hard time and tried to charge me for the whole month. Now, they are telling me I did not return the equipment and are charging me for it. I saved the receipt of the UPS store for about a month and then threw it out because I hadn't heard anything from them and assumed they got the equipment. They withdrew the money from my bank account without telling me or getting my permission. I have been calling them. Telling them I want a refund but the last conversation I had with a manager said I didn't have the tracking number so they can’t refund me and hung up on me. Why would I keep the equipment? Anyway, I WOULD NOT USE THIS COMPANY! ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!! With service like this I don't think they will be in business long.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

First, I had ordered the phone and internet service. In the area I lived, the phone continued to drop calls and with all calls to tech support I was ready to lose my mind. They finally deactivated our service and didn't charge the fee. We lived in a rural area so it was just poor signal. Now, the internet, was intermittent. Cell service didn't work very well down where we lived either. Trying to watch Netflix, it would continue to buffer and just be annoying. Regardless, I am in a situation where I have to relocate and am unable to take the dish with me or have it attached to the home I am moving to. They REFUSE to work with me and are going to charge me a $300 cancellation fee. (This is not in my control that I have to move.)

Will not respond to my Facebook message. I try and email them and if they respond at all they have my name completely wrong. Now, I understand that I have to return their modem, etc. However, they want me to climb on my roof to get another piece. UM NO. That is not safe. Who would be liable if I fell? They don't care, they want this equipment back. They said if I didn't send it back I could be charged up to another $300.00. What the hell? Why can't someone work with me? I also stated that I think legally they can't charge me if I can't have the product where I am going. Such crap. Poor customer service all the way around.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.

• Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.

• Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.hughes.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use