Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5
Based on 3,016 ratings submitted in the last year

HughesNet offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

HughesNet Gallery (2)
View More View More

HughesNet Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 17, 2020

The Hughesnet Agent(s) were there to help me, and not to pass the issue by without trying to do a resolving of the problem that I was presenting. Ashley of Az. patiently listened, evaluated, and asked the right questions of me and then her Tier 3 Agent to resolve the lack of connectivity between my desktop iMac and my HP printer/scanner. My needs were met by Ashley as we looked and as she listened. We looked at the many possibilities of what was not working right. She quickly decided that it was the printer, because HughesNet service was working as expected with the home security base unit that that is connected to my iPad and to my computer; with no issues of wireless connectivity to the iPad.

The next steps were to see about reconnecting the wireless connection by going to the wireless icon on my HP Printer/Scanner. The whole process took awhile, because I am not familiar with all of the aspects of what could be the problem. I am not a young person who grew up with a computer and today's technology. The same wireless that was working yesterday, was not working today. The Tier 3 Agent suggested to Ashley that we should go to the HP Wireless Wizard to set up a wireless connection. We first tried a new wireless connection, which did not work. It is one of two wireless connections that I am using on my iPad. Ashley suggested that we now should go back and try the wireless connection that had not been working all day, by using the Wireless Wizard, again. That was the answer and the HP printer/scanner did an overview scan of what had been on my computer all day long to scan.

Finally, the connection was re-established with the previous wireless connection that had refused all day to kick into gear. I had tried turning on and off the computer and printer several times, checking the wires for solid connection, and resetting the modem all several times before calling Hughesnet. All of that had to be explained and it takes time. Many Thanks to Hughesnet and their great Agents!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I was supposed to get a call back today Jan 10 2020 from Angela at 1 pm. At 2:30 I called Hughes Net to report she had not called and report slow internet service. That was the same thing I called about on Jan 9. Angela told me my computer had a virus Jan 9. I reported back Jan 10 that my computer did not have a virus. Also to let Hughes Net know my internet service was slow and that rep Angela had not called me back. It seems every time I call and I call quite often that I get bad information and untrue advice from Hughes Net. Today Jan 10 was better got good advise today Jan 10. I can't say that I am happy with Hughes Net yet. I'm still thinking about cancelling service. Have you read the bad stuff customers say a bout Hughes Net? Well it is not good and I can see why. Take that for what it is worth. Signed unhappy customer. Pam **.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Behind on bill. Your staff were so helpful to me. They helped me in ways that I didn't even know your company did. They credited part of my payment and made arrangements for me to pay the rest on payday. And turned my service back on. I felt like I was giving a Christmas present. The month of October I had a knee replacement and then 25 days in inpatient therapy. My account was used fraudulently used. I lost $3600.00 in less than a month. It turned out a account I had to keep a watch on my credit has insurance for this. So I am looking forward to see if it truly works.

I just know it's given me a little light at the end of a very long tunnel. Part of that was for new tires, I sure hope it comes soon. Took me eight months to save that much. I am praying. Again your employees were Fantastic and I cried when I got off the phone. Was a really nice thing for your company to do, ever. Thanks Kathryn **

Original review: July 9, 2019

I recently had internet and phone satellite service installed at my new house. The installer was very professional and there were no issues with the installation. The only problem I am having is that I cannot send photos as attachments using either text or email using my iPhone, iPad or PC. Called tech support numerous times who could not do anything to fix the issue and informed me to contact Apple. Then after calling Apple support for my iPhone they were able to provide me with a workaround fix since the issue is with HughesNet. The only way I can send pictures is via email and include the photos within the email but not as attachments. So basically I cannot text or email anyone pictures as attachments!

I have never had this issue with any other internet service provider and was very frustrated. But at least I can send them embedded in an email now. Also, if you do get HughesNet satellite service make sure they have your name spelled right when signing up. They kept informing me they would need to send the request to upper management which is ridiculous. I had to call them numerous times until they corrected my name. Then I had to also do it on the phone side so it shows up on caller ID correctly. Sometimes the internet speed is slow to load websites but overall it is great for the rural area where I live. I still wish I could have gone with broadband service instead of satellite since the weather does slow the speed when raining or very cloudy.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I rate Hughes as slightly better than what I had before. It takes too many clicks to go from scratch to my item in the inbox, Once you finally get to the inbox, you have to click on it twice to make it open. The next stip to show display (why would we open it if we did not want to look at it?). When you have a problem, the robot says too much. The little bit about checking my system to see problems, which I do not think they really run tests. Most of my questions have not been systemic problems. Lately when I try to open email like the Patriot Post, HughesNet puts their name at the top of the page and types out in black and white instead to their color. What is the point of this except annoyance? Like I said, your are OK, but you could be better. Thank you for giving me a chance to help you. Russell

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have to wait 30 days to get my money back? After cancelling the service because it was no good? Bad customer service!! The Internet speed was slower than I had with Windstream. I am sorry I ever thought about switching. I will never suggest HughesNet to anyone!!

Original review: May 20, 2020

Phone not connected to WI-FI. Completely satisfied with the customer service agent.. courteous, professional and very patient with me... I am an older person and not to good in solving technical problems by myself and this agent never gave up, he was willing to solve my problem, guiding me step by step! Very diligent... Thank you, Mrs DD.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I only had Hughesnet for 7 months but gave up after service continually sucked. Dropped signals, speeds verified by 3 websites including Hughes, they never met their posted speeds. I finally gave up after numerous phone calls, sometimes I was on hold over an hour! Why? Their recordings even said their network is at capacity due to Covid 19. Why then is my home internet and Verizon not having issues?

I now am slapped with a $355 dollar early termination fee, I bought my own equipment up front. Yesterday, I contacted the following per Fairshake's outline:
    1. Complaint to the FCC.
    2. Complaint to the BBB.
    3. Leaving as many honest reviews as possible.
    4. Fairshake: filled out paperwork to go through Arbitration.

5. Have not contacted my CC company yet to put a hold on the payment, maybe today.

I have proof of sloppy internet, speeds were not even close and sometimes nothing at all. You pay good money, they make it sound wonderful but then they don't deliver. To me that is a breach of contract, not the other way around.

Original review: May 20, 2020

This service has been slow since I subscribed 6 months ago. When I started using it, no one was answering the support desk so after about 6 attempts, I set up my own POP mail. Still slow as molasses after the holidays. Hoping it would improve with clear weather conditions and sunny days, the COVID pandemic blew it into the unbearable zone (in March).

An electrician friend told me there appeared to be a latency issue, as upload speeds are fractional (ok, decimal, even less than marginal) but no one was answering the CS line in March. In fact, I waited on hold for almost an hr., and when the rep finally answered, I couldn't get to the phone fast enough so they marked my number as SPAM and I had to figure this out and use my friend's phone to even make the connection.. boom!

I finally got an answer March 31st. No improvement, basic troubleshooting, "we've got you on the hook now" responses. Finally got through again in April. He saw the slow upload speeds but lowered bill, doubled data. I was out of data again in about 10 days. Previous service never used half that much for surfing, email, bill pay and shopping. One more try in May. Escalated to management but they are sending a tech out, wasting everyone's time and money. Never sign a contract with these people. They are running a "catch and don't release" type of business and are going to lose more business from my experience than they would gain if they could either back up their speed/service claims or terminate our service agreement without charging me a huge penalty. Save your time and money!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Wifi was not working properly. Had to go outside to make call. Going in and out couldn't hear us on phone. We could hear them. Husband has cancer. Granddaughter disabled need phone. Nurse hung up on me could not make contact. Doctor had to call multiple times. Hughes's rep. changed settings. He was very nice. Hope this takes care of our issue. Just done today. Thank you for checking with us.

HughesNet author review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team