Hughes Network Systems

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a 30 dollars off for a year offer from Hughes Net Systems today and came online to read reviews before calling. I am about to replace Suddenlink who scammed me away from AT&T with a bundle price of 69, 81 after adding dvr service and fees. Yet the bill, well mysteriously enough, is almost 193 a month. And leaving AT&T I lost my previous long term customer discounted service. Plus installation will be astronomical to say the least. Thanks to all of you who took the time to write these reviews. The Hughes offer is torn up and in the trash can. You have no idea how much I appreciate that you helped me avoid that stress. I have Fibro and for me stress is pain. Have a very blessed day.

I have tried numerous times to get internet and phone fixed. I have called 9 times and have no satisfaction. I will not be using you after October or sooner. I also was unable to speak with a manager when I called and no one else was able to give me the help I needed. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I know it will not do any good to complain but I'm telling you anyway.

We travel for a living because my husband is in construction and I was very, very cautious about signing up for Wi-Fi, because we would be needing to move it with us when we relocate in our RV. It took me hours of phone calls and numerous questions to make sure that this was something that we wanted to commit to. We were told that there is a 2 year contract and that you could cancel within the first 30 days if you were not satisfied with the service (cancellation turned out to be a no go, as we were not satisfied with the service and tried to cancel, but was not allowed without hefty cancellation fee). Hughes seemed to work with us and promised me discount billing for the next 6 months or until their new Gen5 equipment was released and being installed in lieu of the old equipment. So we paid a regular bill and then "one" discounted payment, then the payments went back up to a slightly discounted rate.

We ended up changing locations and I was promised one free install... This was on April 1st, 2017, and I spent countless phone calls confirming how to set up the move and what equipment to take. They told me that all I needed was the inside box and power cord and that they would provide the rest at the new location. However, after getting to our new location found out that there was a box on the dish we needed to bring as well, luckily we had a friend pick it up and ship it, carefully wrapped and secured.

At the time that I was going to schedule our new set up, they informed me that our contract would be extended back to 2 years!!! I asked if I could just pay for the installation and keep the contract that we were under and they said NO... because they would be installing the new Gen5 equipment which required a new 2 year commitment. Then I said, “How about we pay for the install and you just install the equipment that we have” and then they said it would still have to be returned to a two year contract because we relocated!! Either way, we were doomed and so I paid the $370 cancellation fee and they were going to send a box to my new address.

I never received the box, and when I called them they said that they sent it to... guess where?? My old address and that they did not have a new address on file. I updated my address again and they kept saying that they already sent me a box. I was INFURIATED!!! So I would call periodically and see if they have my updated address and they assured me that they were going to send a box and never did. Finally... the charge came through for the equipment that I have not returned because of them not sending a box. Currently it is in a billing dispute with my credit card company.

I am happy that I have read all the other complaints... I see that there are a lot of disgruntled customers who have been swindled out of money, like myself. I would like to see a law firm join in on a class action against this company. They are fraudulent. Believe me... I told them countless times that we would be moving and they assured me that the contract time would stay the same. Everything was a lie and I feel very violated and angry as a consumer of a product that I entered into a contract to with good faith... and with what I thought, was correct information. Hopefully I will get the box to send the equipment back, and I will go from there. A class action lawsuit really needs to be filed against this company!!

Hughes Net was the worst internet experience I have ever had. Terrible customer service. Terrible speeds. I was told that 10 seconds to load a webpage was considered high speed internet. After countless complaints I was still required to pay a fee to cancel my service within the first month. I would never recommend this company to anyone. AWFUL AWFUL COMPANY.

If you live in a rural area and need to get Satellite Internet, do NOT do it. Just get a hotspot on your cell service. The cost will be comparable but your speed on your hotspot will much MUCH MUCH FASTER than hughesnet. HughesNet is a joke as an internet provider. It is barely much faster than dial-up and if you call for assistance you will ONLY talk to someone overseas that is extremely hard to understand and that will do nothing to assist you. Very expensive and very bad internet service and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE for this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

I signed up with them for internet services. After the first week, I called and told them their internet was too slow for what I needed. I did not get charged the termination fee. I sent everything back as requested by them. I tracked the package until it reached the destination. A month later they take $214.00 out of my account stating I did not return the equipment. After numerous calls with them, they know I returned my equipment but I have to wait a month to get my refund. I'm so frustrated with this company. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

When signing up for Internet, we saw the commercials of all these great things Hughes net offers, ya right, tonight was the 4th time we have called to complain about the fact that our service/internet and speed sucks, and today we decided to cancel our service because we are not getting anywhere with talking to anyone. Now all of a sudden, we were given the wrong package, how is that our fault? Ok so what, cancel our service, yup no you can't do that without paying a $200 cancellation fee, oh so we have to pay monthly for crappy service and we have to pay to cancel the crappy service, and then they say and you have 45 days to pay the fee or we put it on your credit, so disgusted with this company, never will I ever give them my service ever again or refer them to anyone. I pay for high speed and haven't had it in the 15 months I have been a customer.

I pay $100 per month for the "best" service offered and the highest data limit available. It is the worst internet service I have ever had. It is extremely slow and inconsistent. Streaming of any kind is impossible.

I would give zero stars if I could. This company is awful and uncooperative. Their internet "service" is worse than old time dial up. They can't even get their customer service phone system to work right!! (It must be connected to their satellites.) They have no interest in anything except collecting your money. Beware of anyone not willing to give written contracts or copies of digital ones. I feel like I've been scammed. P.S. I would attach the order number Consumer Affairs is asking of me, if I had EVER seen any paperwork from them (even an email would do)!!

Internet is slow and spotty, also they only provide you with a dynamic IP address, which doesn't allow you to view most security system cameras or baby monitors that are run off of wifi outside of your home. For these to run you need a static IP address. When contacted about the issues HughesNet said there is nothing they can do.

Everyone of the other posts explains anything I need to say and they just took $664 from my account with no good explanation! Numerous dropped calls while trying to handle this situation! I say anyone who wants to be involved in a class action lawsuit. Email me at **!

Here it is now day 3 without service. I spent 2 hours on the phone today talking to several different members of HughesNet. I ended up so pissed, I thought that I might have to call 911. I talked to them last night about home phone service. I was then told that they don't offer home service in my area. In the process of talking to them I find out that I was automatically entered into another 2 year contract. If I cancel now then I will owe $400.00. During my 3 hour excursion today on the cell phone I was told that there is NO ONE that can waive the early termination fees.

When I told them that I wasn't informed of the renewal of the contract all they could say was, "Sorry." What do you do if your life depends on reputable and continuous service? What if you have medical equipment that has to be connected continuously? Or what about people that might be on house arrest and the system goes down? HughesNet doesn't care or give a rats' ass.

On situations like this, you should be able to get out of contract without paying a early termination fee. I will gladly send back ALL of the equipment. But I wasn't even given that offer. What if a storm comes into the area and you lose service and your life support equipment can't communicate to the hospital and it causes you to die? HughesNet doesn't give a ** either. So I hope something happens so they get their ass's sued to the max.

Had Gen4 and was happy with the service, we are very rural with no options besides using a cell phone or HugesNet. At their offer upgraded to Gen5, faster with more data; and for the first year a reduced increase in price. For the first week, I could see faster load times and could stream non-stop little videos posted on FaceBook. Week 2, however, everything slowed down. A simple little 60-second video; 1 second of play, 10-12 seconds of buffering. Gen4 didn't have that. Pages to load are also slow... 30 seconds or more. Plus I have not changed my computer usage or habits, but my data usage is double what it was before.

I reached out to Hughes regarding this. I had an immediate reply that they needed to send a technician out as they found issues, and asking for days/times. Never received a reply from them after several attempts. When I do get a "live" person, it's excuses, excuses. I am now I'm forced into another 2-year contract with horrible service from what I was HAPPY with before on Gen4. I would really rethink any commitment with HugesNet.

I've had Hughes Net at my cottage for a couple of years now. I have had multiple issues with their service. For being advertised at how fast it is, it's actually very slow. It also cuts out during storms just like any other satellite service. I've had to call them multiple times to try to get them to resolve my slow service. Each time I get another story. More often than not they claim I am over my data allowance and per their policy the service MAY degrade if you are over.

Imagine, I run over when I am only their on weekends. Then they try to push buying tokens or upgrading my service. Ha ha what a joke. Today I went to my account to look up my usage for this billing cycle and was immediately hit with a "You may go over your data limit this cycle" message. I looked at my usage for the cycle and was amazed to see it showed I was using data when no one is there and no one is connected to the service. I mean What The Heck it this? Sounds like someone is ripping me off. Stay away from this company... Very far away.

I canceled my Hughesnet service in mid-March of 2017. There was no early termination fee but I was required to return some equipment. I received the return kit as expected and promptly packaged the modem, power supply, and radio transmitter. The return kit had a Styrofoam cut out for all three items so I know all three were placed in the return kit. Hughesnet did not send a receipt for my records so the employee at the UPS store printed one for me with a caution that Hughesnet was notorious for claiming equipment had not been returned and I should be certain to retain the receipt for my records.

I received a letter from Hughes today saying I owe them $212.00 because the radio head was not in the return kit. They claim they know this because the UPS tracking shows the package weighed 2 pounds. However, my receipt from the UPS store shows the package weighed 6.6 pounds. I asked the representative to waive the few or transfer me to someone who could do so. Her response was their records show that not all equipment was returned and no one could waive the charge. Luckily the card they have on file had been compromised and I was issued a new one so they can not charge my card. I am NOT paying this. If anyone has had similar problems please let me know if there is any interest in some kind of group legal action.

This service is slower than dial up and way slower than my US Cellular Hotspot. Have been customer for two years and called today wanting to upgrade to Gen 5. I don't get the "new" customer price and would have to pay $235 to get out of this contract as I have 12 months left. Whatever you do, if you live in a rural area like I do check out the Hotspots from your cellular dealer before you go with this bunch. Had WildBlue and this bunch bought them out and they suck.

I know is it just another futile review of Hughes Net, but if I can just discourage one person from using them it is worth it. I have had them for almost two years now. Live in a rural area with limited internet options and ended up with Hughes Net. Since then, speeds that make me long for dial-up. Have had to replace two routers (per Hughes Net customer service), most of the time printer (wireless) will not work, slow PING speeds (so no VOIP options), and the big complaint data just disappears.

We just got back from a trip, with everything unplugged and this morning when I opened up the internet (which restarted yesterday) I only had 75% remaining. This is probably the 5th or 6th time this has happened and calls to Hughes Net result in "customer service" telling me it's not their fault, must be a problem with my personal equipment, and they will do nothing about it. PLEASE, go without the internet if your only option is Hughes Net. I'm surprised there has not be a class action suit against them.

I ordered the internet service I believe in October 2016 & tried the 30 day free & cancellation. I had horrible service from day one with buffering issues. I would call customer service & the robot representatives that read from a script & have no concern about the human person they are interacting with this company uses from other countries is the worst I have EVER dealt with. I was on the phone on one of my many calls I had to make, for 2 hrs. trying to find one of the many incompetent reps. to help with the slow buffering issue that no one ever helped with. I canceled the service within the 30 day period. In January of 2017 I noticed Hughes Net took $322.00 out of my account because I didn't return the equipment of which I was not informed to.

I called to find out what I needed to do to have my money refunded & I was told how to send back equipment from inside my home in a box that they would provide to me & to climb my roof to get the radio equipment that THEY installed down. I knew then this company was whacked & could care less about people. I spoke with a manager & had to throw a ** fit to have him send someone to take their crappie worthless equipment off the roof but I still had to send the box back to them. This has been since March 2017 I sent back that box, received a invoice in the mail issued May 1 2017 for a credit of $322.50 & I still have to wait 45 days for my check. I will send another message out to inform when & if I ever get that check in my hand. DO NOT USE HUGHES NET. THEY ARE A SCAM COMPANY & could care less about the service they give their customers.

We have had Hughes Net internet service for about 3 1/2 weeks and the service is not consistent in either availability or speed. The installer told us when we hesitated about the service that we had 30 days to cancel without penalty. When we called Customer Support asking to cancel, we were told that only if they could not "fix" the service would they cancel without charge. We were told that the agent could "see" a problem with our modem when she checked the system. She promised to send a modem and all we would need to do is plug it in.

My husband asked her to send a technician so that it would be done right and they could not blame us for any error or supposed error. When the technician came, he said that in all his years of working for Hughes Net, he had never encountered a modem problem. He said he had to take pictures again as he had done when it was installed, and he said he checked the modem and nothing was wrong and he would report there was no problem. Hughes Net wants to charge us $400 to cancel early.

The lack of consistency between the stories, leaves us feeling we have been seriously misled on at least two counts. Also this company refused to provide us any record of the transaction via either email or snail mail. They say everything is on their website. So very very sorry and experiencing buyer's remorse that we ever decided to sign up with this company.

Reason for Review: To warn potential customers that the internet service may well be less consistent in speed and availability than you have been led to expect. Also if your experience is like ours, you will be given incorrect information and requests for a written record of your contract will likely be denied. Any cancellation will cost you dearly.

Please be aware HughesNet will offer you so called "Bonus Time". I was offered 100 extra gig a month. But they only give you 50 gig. I am a month in of my 2 year contract and went over my 10 gig expecting the bonus time would kick in. BUT what they don't tell you is that bonus time can only be used between the hours of 2 am to 8 am. I am stuck with this because I live in a rural area and they are my only option at this time. I will pay to get out of this mess as soon as another option becomes available.

Buyer beware! Hughesnet is the most predatory company I have ever dealt with. We live in the boonies and have had this service since 2009. It's always been less than good. I recently upgraded to 15GB from 10GB a month because we continuously were running over our 'Fair Access Policy' and being throttled down to a snail's pace. Problem was not solved! It became worse. Our service was nonexistent, off and on at random times. A few weeks ago, it left and didn't come back. I called customer service and after several agents arbitrarily dropped my call, I finally got someone who claimed there was a severe storm in Nevada that was affecting my service here in Missouri and it should return in one to 24 hours. Well, that didn't happen. Called again. Dropped several times again. Finally got someone who at least acted like she was helping and the service was restored (no credit given for 2.5 days of NO service).

I mentioned before about the data disappearing every month. Upgrading did not work! In fact just yesterday nearly 10GB of my 15GB disappeared in one early morning hour. Folks we don't stream TV, very seldom videos and don't do anything much more than Facebook, Email, News, Messenger and myAncestry.com. My call to customer service met with once again being dropped as soon as I began to complain about the service. When I did get someone, she had me unplug the modem from the WI-FI and then call back in three hours. I did this, only to be told at that time that their test proved it was not on their end and they transferred me to Home Tech Support whose only redemption was that I could understand the person I was talking to. They wished to help me at the rate of $99.99 for a three day once and done or a subscription of $57.98 the first month and $17.99 every month thereafter.

Claiming that my Norton wasn't as good as the service they could provide. Yeah right! My comments on that were "Here's the way it's going to go... I am hopefully going to find another service provider out here in Ten Buck Two or we are going to learn how to live without the internet." Today I went to their website, my account to reverse my service to the lowest possible plan. Unfortunately they say they are unable to access that information, please call dadada. So I call, to downgrade our service, only to be asked if I had heard about their new Gen5 service that allows 20GB and faster internet for a lower price. I asked "Why in the last couple of weeks, hasn't anyone mentioned this to me?" We chew over this a bit and because I have been lied too, many times over, I say, "Let’s just get back to why I called." A downgrade to their lowest plan of 5GB a month is $49.99 plus $14.99 equipment lease.

Imagine this. Their new Gen5 as explained above is $49.99 plus $14.99 equipment lease a month. Hey, these people are just screwing us country folk, just like shooting fish in a barrel. I know they were messing around with our data and service and manipulated me into a new two-year contract that will cost $400 if cancel early. But... I am at the point if this does not work out... anyone else want to join me in a class action law suit against Hughesnet? I ain't their only crab ** client, rant over for now. Just be wary...

After just 3 months This has proven to be the worst services that I have ever tried to use! Constant cutoffs & shutdowns! Higher prices, & low quality! Poor customer service! Very displeased. Seems to operate on the very edge of lies & Fraud! This bunch should be out of this business! Not very reliable!

Of course we paid for service from Hughes.Net. Don't go with this company. They have cancelled twice on us for installation. Gives you the ring around the rosey, another company has to install. The poorest service I have ever seen and of course they don't give a "Damn". If you live in a rural community don't go through them. The poorest service, transfers you numerous times and of course NO one will take accountability but at the end of the day there was NO delay taking my money.

When purchasing this system I was told HughesNet was a wonderful alternative. What they did not tell was how quickly I would run out of data. I ran out in one week. They then offered me a higher data plan at almost twice the price, now I run out in two weeks maximum. I asked them why, they responded I used too much data. Nothing said previously aided me in understanding how much data I might need. I called and asked how much it would cost me to get more data and they do not offer it to homeowners. I then asked how much it would cost to eliminate and remove the service. They answered, "$400.00". So now I face poor service that for more than half the month is slower than dial-up. It takes two hours to download my e-mail because it continually times out. I wonder if they were to offer a trial time for service if anyone would continue the service?

Getting through the voice recognition software this company uses to channel calls to customer service is so bad that I was caught in a loop. Every answer I gave was not recognized and I was forced to answer the question again and again with the same result. I was screaming in frustration to a bot! When I finally got to a live person he took 20 minutes to take info so someone ELSE could call me back. I will have the distinct pleasure of paying a tech $125 to come out and realign the dish. What a crappy network. What terrible service! I live for the day I have a choice of ISP's.

Terrible~!!! We could not even download Netflix. It was that slow! When we canceled the service we had to disassemble the equipment and mail it back to avoid other fees! At $90.00 a month and a two-year contract, we felt robbed! Please do yourself a favor and pick someone else!

I've had HughesNet for a number of years and it's always been terrible. Every time I call to cancel, they'd tell me they're about to have a major upgrade so it will get better, or they'll offer me some type of incentive. But it NEVER got better! This time, I finally told them I've had it. They told me in order to cancel I have to send back 3 pieces of equipment, one of which is on the roof and that the instructions will be in the box that they'll send me. I'm a female in my 50's. There's no way I'm climbing on a roof to remove anything! I was told I'll have to pay $100 to have a tech come out and remove it... What the what?!! They said I signed an agreement to that effect. I told them to send it to me. They said they couldn't because it contains my personal information... Again, what the what?!!

We have had HughesNet for several years. We hate it. Downloading is a nightmare. Times out. We are limited on usage. And is expensive for what we get. We live in country and only option is satellite. I use my cell phone internet because it works better and faster. I work in town and use local internet provider and service is great and cheaper than Hughes. Oh, and when I do have to speak to a person at Hughes I cannot understand them because of accents. Very, very frustrating.

I would give no stars if possible. The sales process is all nice and smiling people. You cannot ask too many questions or comments. After that you are nothing. Customer service is a joke. They act like they have no time for you and get upset when you complain. Run from Hughes. After my contract I will gladly leave.

After an hour phone conversation, Hughes support said my problem was with my HP printer and not their HT2000W router. They transferred me to tech support, who hung up as soon as they found out it was me. Previous to the Gen 5 system. The Hughes router worked fine with my printer, but not after upgrade to Gen 5. The Gen 5 system is not compatible with my HP 7525 printer. Support says that HP needs to provide printer support, and I disagree. Without using an additional router with both printer and all other devices connected, I can not communicate with my printer. This is a problem with Hughes not HP.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This broadband satellite ISP, also known in the market as HughesNet, works with Earthlink and DirectTV to provide a range of services around the world.

• Service anywhere: Anyone nearly anywhere within the contiguous United States can access Internet service through geostationary satellite, even when camping in an RV.
  • Browsing: Microsecond delays, due to the signal traveling thousands of miles through the atmosphere, are unnoticeable during normal browsing.
  • Options for exceeding bandwidth: For customers worried that they might go over their allotted bandwidth, HughesNet offers packages that prevent higher fees or throttling.
  • Best for Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Compare Internet Service Providers