1.14/5
Based on 502 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2717 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. They promise 25 Mbps but I am lucky to have 1 Mbps. I have called multiple times and they say there is nothing they can do except sell me a wifi extender for $99. Their internet should work without them trying to sell me another product. I will never use them again and I suggest you dont either.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Want to buy a WiFi extender for the other 3 rooms in my 860' square foot house so I don't have to be in the room the Gen5 box is in. Hughes.net says the only WiFi extender that is compatible is the one they sell for 99.00. This is just wrong!!! If their equipment worked as they say it does. I wouldn't need to buy WiFi extenders in the first place. If their equipment really worked as they said it does they would not even need to sell these WiFi extenders. They know their high priced service does not work, so they sell these WiFi extenders and made their equipment so it is not compatible with other equipment. This must be against some law!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 18, 2018

Does not work in rural areas as well as they say, we lived in the mountains right outside of a major city... Elevation of only 3000 ft. Internet never worked, they wouldn't send anyone to fix it unless we paid them. Never ever had to pay any other company to come out to fix their own products that I was already paying them to use. Only had this for 4 months mind you, never worked properly from day one. They gave us 10 gigs and would slowly take days away out of the month, we didn't do anything different the whole time we had the service yet we would run out of gigs sooner and sooner every month. It wasn't until they messed up and our Internet reset the last month we had it and the next day they said we used up all 10 gigs in a matter of 8 hours, while we were sleeping. Yeah even the customer service guy couldn't talk his way out of that, he gave us 20 gigs for our trouble and proceeded to actually bad mouth the company... Hilarious!

Then to top it off, when we started they made us pay $350 for the satellite. We told them we didn't want to buy it only lease it. They said that was not an option but that if we buy it and decided to cancel before the first year was up, we could send back the satellite and they would refund our 350. We canceled after 4 months if that, you know what their response was? "No you're not getting your money back, you should have leased it!!!" Omg you guys said that was not an option and refuse to allow us to do so. Now I'm out $350 I have a useless satellite in storage and am a total advocate for making sure no one ever goes through this crazy company.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The only thing HughesNet Internet is good for is checking emails and doing a Google or Bing search or social media. When it comes to playing games, watching videos, streaming, and most definitely working from home, HughesNet is the world's worst at providing fast speed, bandwidth, and latency that is needed to do all those things, even at their Maximum Plans on Residential or Business accounts. They have no way of upgrading you to a level that is equivalent to Cable Internet by no means necessary.

If you work from home or need lots of data and fast speed for other things such as a VPN, run do not walk from HughesNet and go with a cable internet service if possible. It is sad that some people MUST use HughesNet because of the rural area where they live. In those cases, it is so much worth it to pack up and relocate to a more suburban city where you can get cable internet if you absolutely NEED it for a job, school, or other important things in your life in order to succeed.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Got internet service and phone service with Hughes internet. Since day one both services did not work correctly. On the phone service I can hear the other party but they could never hear me. They sent a tech out and 5 minutes after he left the phone were not working. The internet constantly goes off and on. Every time I called they said, they could not find anything wrong. After a couple of months with this service, I'm forced to cancel and I will have to pay $575 cancellation fee. THIS IS SCAM, THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY ON CANCELLATION FEES!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: July 16, 2018

After nearly a year with HughesNet GEN5, I couldn't be more disappointed. My internet browsing is slow, often taking 10-15 seconds for a site to load. Streaming take minutes and frequently pauses to queue. And this is all happening before I run through my paid-up data limit. In fact, HughesNet is so slow I rarely recognize when I run out of paid-up data and enter the degraded service. And, let one drop of rain fall and HughesNet goes tango uniform. My computer was recently wiped clean and reloaded with the OS by a professional, so the computer is not to blame. I can understand the limitations and challenges of satellite based internet, but when I see the HughesNet commercials extolling its speed I want to puke.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I am an idiot for not checking reviews before I switched to Hughes. But DISH urged me, talked me into “upgrading” with Hughes. I signed up for 25 mb speed... I get 1.8 to 3.1. You can barely open websites with that speed. They charge $125 to send a technician out, when I refused to pay they wanted to negotiate they pay half and I pay half. Yes it’s a foreign call center. Paper billing costs $5.00 a month (which they did not tell me), I will not let them charge my credit card or bank account. Called DISH and asked if I could go back... Nope, they are no longer taking internet customers. Now the battle to get out of the contract begins if they can’t get me close to 25 MB’s. DONT DO IT. Look for someone else.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Have HughesNet since March of this year based on talking to a sales rep. Promised I could do anything I wanted on the net. One of the worst mistakes of my life. Latency worse I have ever experienced. 25 MBPS speed is only good if you rarely use the internet. The NO HARD DATA LIMIT is a giant con. I was never told anything about the ACTUAL data limit for my plan. E-mail and non streaming pages are about all it's good for. If you want to view any streaming video, better plan on sacrificing your sleep and getting on the net between 2 AM and 8 AM when you get bonus data. Watching YouTube or any similar sites during normal human hours will knock your speed down to about 1.5 MBPS faster than you think. All this and you have to sign up for 2 years with an outrageous early termination fee of $400. Pass the word as I am doing in my community. DO NOT GO NEAR THIS COMPANY.

Original review: July 12, 2018

To begin with Hughes Net lied to me about the service they provide. I told them I mainly needed internet for streaming and gameplay. They said they can do that. No they couldn't... Could only play Netflix by switching from 1080 to 720 and then only a few shows and couldn't play video games at all. The lag was so bad even on the highest setting they had. Being in a rural area I had no choice but to keep it. When I moved I called to cancel and they said just put on hold. I should of known better. Today they called wanting money for taking it off hold without notification.

Original review: July 11, 2018

OK, they told me "this service is for 30 days and you can cancel anytime with no fees." Ahahhahahahhahahhaaaaaaaaa. Soooooo... I told my M&T Bank rep and they said they would stop the auto pay... Instead "HughesNet" changed the amount so it would go thru. I asked my M&T rep and they said they couldn't do anything? Sooooo... I appealed the charge and the overdraft they caused for over $125.00+. M&T said they "sided with the crooks." I closed my account with M&T. (Ridiculous they couldn't wouldn't help me, ha!) And neither HughesNet or the falsified charges from MandT were gotten. I am now with another account AND did not lose my money to M&T and HughesNet crooks. HughesNet is fulla **. They tried to get my money... and didn't!

Original review: July 10, 2018

The HughesNet service has been good and streaming has been achievable at a good rate, but their HT2000W Satellite Modem is a farce along with their pricing model. How can I be able to stream TV via DirecTV Satellite and view news, programs, videos, music and whatever else TV offers with no limitation on data stream? I am streaming the same data packets but on different equipment. The HughesNet HT2000W Modem counts all data both uploaded and downloaded. All the cookies that one uses it counts.

When you begin your billing cycle with HughesNet all streaming is great. Once you use up the data you've bought, e.g. you bought 10G (lowest package) You use up 3G of data for one hour of high definition streaming. So you can only watch one movie and half of another for the whole month. Forget watching online TV unless you only stream the news and for only 30 minutes at time. Each day each account has data limits once you've used up your monthly package allowance. However, from 2a.m. local time to 8a.m. local time, you can stream and watch/download up to 50G of data. Streaming and downloading should not be and usually are not the same thing. But when it comes to the way the HT2000W is counting data it counts every byte of stream as download! This is wrong and the FCC should look into this. This is why I am so upset!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I had to call customer service to have my order for Internet service canceled. After reading all of the negative reviews about Hughes Net customer service, I thought that I would be back and forth with them. But to my surprise, they didn’t give me a hassle, plus they refunded me my payment that I made to them. I wasn’t on the phone with them for about five or so. So I just wanted to put that out there that not all experience with them are bad.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I would like to put on record anyone considering Hughesnet Satellite Internet be forewarned. Hughesnet is misrepresenting its service, and still advertising sales for a oversold network. I would encourage anyone that's experiencing poor performance, to contact the FCC and file a complaint. Numerous complaints to their customer service and the FCC resulted in a canned letter from Hughes "Executive customer support" offering cancellation without penalty. Not much cancellation when no other services are available, especially in rural areas, which Hughes is promoting in their advertising.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Recently got HN. Service was nowhere close to what they advertised. Company wants 400 dollars to cancel their service the very day you figure out it doesn’t work, which is day one. Can’t even stream a Netflix show for more than a minute until it buffers. Do yourself a favor and don’t go down the road with HN.

Original review: July 6, 2018

One week into service and it is not what was advertised. Delayed and often slow loading pages. Increased buffering when trying to stream videos. Just not was was promised. And after only 1 week they want $400 to cancel. They must only make money off cancellation fees. Shameful.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Attempted to sign up for service on Jun 21, 2018 through the online process that they offer. I get to a step where they ask for the last 4 of my Social Security Number to very credit to do the leasing equipment option. I get a message that they are unable to verify information, so, provide full social security number. I ended the process at this point since I was not going to give out my full SSN online. I get a notice the next day that a hard inquiry was done on my credit through Equifax. I attempted a dispute through Equifax, they referred me to HughesNet.

Called HughesNet customer service on July 5. Despite numerous attempts to explain and clarify this issue with the customer service tech, she was unable to follow or understand my inquiry. She kept defaulting back to: "since you are not a customer, there will be no fee or charge to your credit card". I requested multiple times to speak with someone that understood the credit process when signing up for an account; she would not transfer the call. The customer service tech was incompetent to handle the nature of this call; and her refusal and/or inability to transfer the call is enough of a red flag for me to avoid this company at all costs!

Original review: July 2, 2018

$100 gift card promised for signing is a scam. Signed with Hughes in March and have contacted them several times about the card which never arrived. Hughes customer service told me I had to wait 60 days for card and to call 855 433 9951 if it was not in after 60 days. He also said not to tell them that I am a Dish customer? Called 855 433 9951 today and was told that I was required to apply for card before 60 days and it has expired. Only a lousy $100 card but I will remember that when time to resign a new contract. Counting that by that time there will be better suppliers in my area. I find I am not the only one that has been scammed by Hughes/Dish in this manner as many have the same situation with them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have literally called in and complained to Hughes every month since January of 2018! The service has NEVER worked properly and we even upgraded to the highest plan. Every month our bank account was debited the WRONG amount. The service is TRASH!!! I called today to ask why I was not put back on the lowest plan and receive the $20 credit for 6 months that was offer. I was told that my call was disconnected so the plan was never updated. I called 5 times that day and was disconnected on 4 of those calls. I don't want to even go into what happen today. I was so mad I started crying! I will call Dish and whoever else to find out what can be done about them debiting the wrong amount from our account. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: July 1, 2018

My personal life had changed and had no choice but to cancel my internet/voice activated service, five months into my 24 months contract, and I was hit with a 40% early contract cancellation fee...i.e. 40% of remaining monthly charge of around $1,416.00. Can you believe it, 40% of around $1,416.00! Yes, you better believe it! I will never ever do business with this shark of a company, ever again! Beware.

Original review: July 1, 2018

We moved to a rural area where our internet did not work very well, so we decided to sign up with HughesNet after reading reviews online. When signing up we told the person we would only be renting this place for a year and she said that was fine the contract we would be signing would last for one year. The first month was great. The internet service was fast everything was working perfectly. Then the next month comes and 7 days into it our internet has already slowed down to a snail's pace, and we can no longer stream anything. So I call and they tell me that the first month we had a buffer in place and now that we have used all of that it's going to be regular speeds. We used our entire gigabytes in 7 days, on the highest level of the packages they offer! We were paying over $150 a month and we had no internet, again.

Since we're roped into a one-year contract we went to the lowest package for $35 a month and decided to wait out the year, instead of paying a disconnection fee. Today it is one month until we move and will no longer need service. So I called to find out what we needed to do and come to find out we still have 14 months left on our contract. They signed us up for a two-year contract! There is no way we would have signed a two-year contract because we knew we were only going to be renting for one year. So we are moving into the home we're buying and no longer need this service and now we have to pay a disconnection fee of a $280, when we should have just cancelled it at the beginning and saved a lot of money. This company is absolutely ridiculous, I have nothing good to say about them, I am so unhappy about everything that has happened.

The person I was talking to actually tried to tell me that any cell phone company you sign up for makes you sign a two year contract...wrong, we have Verizon and pay month to month, no contract. We also have CenturyLink (yes, we had to get another internet provider) and are not in a contract as well. All she could say was "oh, well I guess different providers do different things with their contracts". Didn't she JUST tell me that ALL cellphone providers make you sign a contract? That was just a ridiculously stupid thing for her to say, to justify them lying to us about the contract length. The only thing that they offered was to waive the $19 moving fee so that we could move our service over to our new house. If I could give them no stars that would be too much.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I discontinued service after 5 years. We had to return some of our 5yr old equipment. I included my opinion of this process and their product services inside that box. Amazingly 2 mos later one piece of my returned equipment was “missing” as was $106.25 from my checking acct. I made five initial phone calls, was hung up on 4x ultimately closed our debit card had another reissued. Found an agent to talk to they wanted my return tracking number on the equipment. That’s YOUR job. You should have it all right there. I want my money back. They said they’d refund me but not for 10 business days and I had to call THEM to make sure THEY REFUNDED MY MONEY! So I call back eleven days later and they’re like"We will deposit it now. I need your debit card number." I’m like "Hell no. Mail me a check. 7-10 days possibly 30."

I get a statement in the mail today? I call on it. Yeah it could be 45 days before you get that refund check. How about a complaint to the attorney general's office and a. I'm Positive I'm Never Getting My Refund. Hughes Network: shifty shady snaky fly by night sub par pitiful painfully slow service. Customer service is a joke. Wait times are always long. They claim Forbes named them best satellite provider. Lol. They paid Forbes. HughesNet sucks. Don’t do it.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Their connection was bad. Half the time, I didn't have internet. They also debited my checking account with unauthorized payments. I never gave them permission. If you are thinking about going with this company, Run as fast as you can away from them. They are greedy. The bills are outrageous.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have been in the computer business for 40 years. I have designed systems for single person users and special multi-user, multi-office, multi-country systems with all the bells and whistles. One of my companies was also an ISP supplying Internet to my customers. I mention this so you will understand that I have hands on long term background in this field.

That said HughesNet's product is the worst connection to the internet I have ever seen. It can take 5 minutes to load a page before you can scroll down it. Even after you are in the site clicking to the next page takes another 5 minutes. Using Hughesnet has helped me create hundreds of new 4-letter words and if that isn't enough as soon as it starts to rain it gets worse. The installer didn't loop the cable where it went through the brick on the side of the house so when it rained water would run down the cable into the outside wall space. Plus it was brought into the house in a bedroom wall near the bed. Which would have required running wires all the way around the room to a closet where the WiFi hardware and switches, etc should go. I re-ran the cable from the Dish to a closet which made all the wiring to the phones and TVs and 16 workstations clean and neat.

And then there is the P H O N E. You have to use a wireless phone group. I had a Sony 5 phone that works OK but In my den I really would like to use one of my office desk phones with a speaker that allows you to really hear the person on the other end and besides the bedroom, Guest Rm, Living Room, Kitchen, workshop, Den, my wife's sewing room, the Sun Rm, the Garage, the Attic, and a few other locations I'm just out of luck. Yes, I changing suppliers as soon as possible.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Company promised their equipment for streaming video and surfing the web there would be no problem with the upload and down speeds. Did not meet requirements. Brand new IMAC continues to lose signal and the up/download speeds are horrible. Contacted technical several times to capture and document the problems. Also, the Hughes Net technician came out several times to check things out, never finding any issues. Of course "they" never seem to see an issues. To make a long story short, I cancelled my subscription. I paid the ridiculous cancellation fee and moved on. For those potential new customers, investigate all options before locking in with Hughes. I would not recommend Hughes Net. They do not stand behind their promises.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Dish Satellite Service is great, however they sent advertising that they had partnered with "HUGHES NET", for Blazing Fast internet service, that is where Hughes Net entered the picture. Service installer came right out, installed HN in very efficient manner, his parting words, "If you ever need help CALL ME". That was the last communication I have received from HN. They will not call you, they will not respond to you in any way. The credit card scam, "We need your credit card for background check, the credit card is to bill you for two years service. Oh you have x number of days to cancel your service," have you ever tried to talk to someone that isn't there!!!

I can't watch Live Streaming from any source, play, stop, load, play, stop, load. When you read all these Negative reviews, it makes you wonder how they maintain a 4.5 star rating with the BBB!!! Everything that you see in these negative reviews I also have experienced. I think a class action suit should be made, "HUGHES NET" needs to be held accountable! I agree with one of the reviews posted, I wish I could send a Negative 5 star rating.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've had HughesNet for 6 months. It has NEVER worked properly. I'm saving money just to pay the cancellation fees. Please, Please don't use them. I got unlimited data on my phone and just run everything through my hot spot. I advise anyone considering HughesNet to do the same!!! I can't even watch a 3 minute Youtube video without it freezing multiple times. The owners of HughesNet should be ashamed!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

We got Hughesnet because we are in a rural area. Hughesnet professes to have high download speed and quick connect to the internet...not true at all! Everything at a snail's pace...just got first bill...on hold forever trying to contact these people. Beware of Hughesnet. Not as advertised.

Original review: June 22, 2018

After one year of signing with HughesNet I elected to go with a local cable provider. From the first day I signed on with HughesNet I was dissatisfied. Snail speed, unless you want to surf the internet at 2:00 am. The only way I would use them again is if there was no other option. And then I would just have to live with being miserable. P.S. It would be very nice if when you had to talk with HughesNet you could understand what they were saying.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was sold HughesNet to have 25 mps and was told that the 10 Gig allocation would be sufficient for my business and streaming use in my new rural house. Never had this issue with my previous ISP in San Francisco. The speed can be as high as 35 mps BUT as low as < .5 mps The overall average is less than 1 mps. Lastly, 10 gigs is 5 streaming movies which would not be a problem if there was NOT a buffering problem because of the inconsistent speed. NOT A SOLUTION FOR RURAL HOMES!! Next, found out, and was never told, that the internet phone does NOT support faxing. Cost me $105 to disconnect the internet phone. Another upsell and rip-off. HughesNet is unapologetic about the poor speed. Can't wait to replace it when a DSL or cable solution is available!!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I wanted a service just to watch Netflix and Amazon shows. Was told that the minimum data plan would be fine. The connection is terrible. My computers barely work. I have 8 core processors that are very fast, except with Hughes. They tried to sell me more data. Even when there is data it doesn't change the connection speed. I was ** by everyone I talked to. Finally got tired of dealing with the ** from Hughes and will wait for Frontier to install in my area. Lucerne Valley Ca. Hughes should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of people.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs