It's that easy Request Information
1.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Hughes offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

Hughes Network Systems Video
Hughes Network Systems Gallery (2)
View More View More

2999 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was very pleased with the help I received when I discovered our internet was down... Turned out to be phone service issue. The rep was very polite, helpful and got me back up and running in no time!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

You all a wonderful job. Your employees have awesome attitudes and concerns to the customers. Please keep up the good work. I would recommend everybody to HughesNet. The service is wonderful and fast. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The agent was helpful and patient and helped to get our phone and internet working again. I was having trouble with the reception on my cell phone to talk to him and actually lost connection and he called me back immediately get me working again. It was also nice to speak to someone who is polite and spoke clearly.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

When I called in to get assistance with getting my new computer connected to my wireless router, the customer service technician was awesome to deal with. She had a positive attitude. She was able to resolve the issue right away.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I upgraded to HughesNet Gen5. The installation included removal of 3 old dishes and installation of 1. The serviceman came early and did a very professional job. The new internet service allows us to use Alexa, YouTube and Netflix.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We have been unhappy with Hughes net since we got it over a year ago. I have called several times trying to get better service, and evidently our receiver finally fried trying to get a signal all this time. This technician came and adjusted our dish to the right alignment, and now our service is faster than ever! For the first time, we can use playback on our Direct TV!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Spoke to 3 reps to find out I have to wait 24 hrs. First rep caused my card to shut down. I called again and got the payment made. 3rd rep could not get my service back. I'm looking for another provider who have reps who speak English.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I was having problem signing into my account. The password I had was not working. I worked with one guy earlier in the day and we worked on the problem but could not get the issue resolved. He was very helpful in trying to get it fixed. I had to leave for another appointment. I contacted the helpline again and the guy was able to walk me through a couple of things, which fixed the problem. Both guys were very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Attempting to troubleshoot on behalf of my Internet newbie Mom, I reached out to Hughes Net via Twitter (AskHughes) and "Jay" responded. While unable to correct problem remotely (I do not live with the customer and was trying to facilitate a remedy), Jay was the friendly Hughes Net customer service rep I interacted with. He gathered complete information, gave specific remedies and although we need to schedule service, I found Jay to be most helpful and informative. Please let Jay know how much I appreciated his assistance and thoughtfulness. He made my day. THANK YOU.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My internet is so terrible that I can't watch shows on Netflix without stoppages due to buffering. After two weeks of trying to get the phone service up and running it was finally up and worked for a few weeks and then stopped working. I was told I would have to place the router and black box on my kitchen counter with my phone for it to work. Who wants that mess on their counter. I never had to do this with other carriers. I wish I never changed providers and if money comes available will cancel before my time is up!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We called November 4 2018 to have our phone number released, they said it could not be released until November 29. After Nov 21 they charged me for a full month of extra service. New installation Nov 29. I called to get a rebate for unused service, I had used them for 4 years. They said I had to pay for full month. They got me to pay for an extra service on purpose. When I am robbed I prefer you use a gun.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My wi fi was down for about a month and a couple of days. I thought it was a problem that would fix itself, so I did nothing for weeks. Finally I got a new television which required wi fi to perform at its full potential. I called in. You guys sent out a tech and got me up and running in minutes. Had to call in about a credit for the time it wasn't working. You helped with that too. I am happy!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Very very unhappy and disappointed! The service stinks! Programs on demand, good luck with that one! Wifi printing, not happening! Call to express my disappointment and their answer is to buy the 50G package! DON'T MASS MAIL MY AREA TO SAY HUGHES NET IS AVAILABLE AND OFFER SUCH PATHETIC SERVICE! FALSE ADVERTISING! Not even worth a star!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Service runs on Gen 2 at less than 1meg download. Gen 5 is almost never available. When it is and I try to select it it ask for a network "key" -- I have no idea what that is. When I can select Gen 5 it still is very slow. I've recycled the modem, and turned power up and down. I've reported this problem several times and it still exist. I'm paying for Gen 5 but it runs at DSL speed.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My technician was very unprofessional. He took about 4 hours to install that I had to help him with plus dropped the mount for the satellite from the roof of my house to the roof on my porch which is tin, propelling it into the creek. He was very stubborn headed and hard to communicate with. He then walked into my house with his muddy boots on and walked across my area rug in my living room leaving muddy footprints. It wasn't a good experience. I hope the service is better than the installation process.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My satellite was placed on the front of my house at the lowest point on the roof which was in front of my bedroom window. It has defaced my home. I have been waiting 5 days, I’ve made multiple calls, still no resolution! Internet speed no bettter than DSL.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Billing error in discontinuing landline phone service. Victor ** listened to my inquiry as to the higher cost since I had requested cancellation of phone service on 10/12/18 with the understanding that my contract did not end until 11/23/18; therefore, charges would remain the same until that date. Billing, however, reflected higher cost with an early disconnect fee. He offered a correction solution that I accepted. He was attentive and courteous during our conversation and offered explanation of all steps he was taking including the transfer of my call to another department. Thank you Victor and Bella for a positive experience with HughesNet.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The signal is very weak, all videos on Facebook won't work, Netflix hesitates. Tech sold me a booster for 85.00. Asked me to write the check to him, not sure if I even got a booster. Thought that was odd. I called your department, they want to charge 125.00 to send tech out to access. I don't feel that right to charge me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Only on a few occasions has the speed reached even close to what they advertise. This of course only happened while on the phone with a representative as they worked to correct the speed. So after a year or so we had to cancel Hughes Net because we moved in with my parents. We paid the cancellation fee and returned the equipment. Before we returned the equipment we called and told them there was one thing we could not get because we did not have the tools to get the one part we couldn't get. Sent back everything else and the agent I spoke to said he would put notes in there and I wouldn't get charged.

So a few months goes by and I had a charge out of my bank account for $214. I called them that morning 12/12 and spoke to another agent and she said she did not see the notes but she will get this fixed for me and she would call me back at 9. Well no call so I called again and got another agent and again last agent I spoke to DID NOT put the notes in. So had to retell my whole story again to another agent. This agent told me I was NOT getting the refund because there are no notes in my account.

So when I asked if it was ok to just take money out of my account without calling or emailing me he said, "Well when we have your debit card on the account we can do what we need to do to get the amount paid off." So pretty much told me it's ok to take customers' money without permission. Then I asked him why I'm getting punished for the 2 coworkers that did not put notes in the account. So this went on for a few and then he told me the only way I'll be getting this back is if I go to the house (that we already sold to someone else) and get the one equipment piece. And also wouldn't let me speak to the manager after I asked 4 times. In other words I didn't get the money back but I just want to save people time and money to not use Hughes Net!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We've moved recently to a place in northern Wisconsin with no internet. We've had HughesNet for about 7 weeks. Bought the in home booster during installation for an additional $225 for the highest strength signal. We have yet to be able to watch ANYTHING streaming. We shut off everything else in the house that requires wifi so that just the one laptop can stream our favorite show. After 40 minutes with endless buffering, we watched 14 minutes of our show with long buffering intervals, then it completely quit buffering and just froze. This has been our nightly ritual for 7 weeks. We're at our wits' end. I wouldn't even give them 1 star if I didn't have too.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Note: Change of address - I called HughesNet for 3 days on phone no. 866-347-3292. No indication at all that I called the wrong number. This robo call would say that I would be connected to a person and then a voice would tell me to check that I called a wrong number!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

If I could give HughesNet Internet minus stars I would. I am in an secluded area of Montana and can only get my internet through satellite. When I first got HughesNet I was fairly satisfied (that was in 2014), but I was used to fiber optics and the slow speeds and not being able to stream anything took some getting used too. But they were consistent. This last year has been the total opposite. My internet habits haven't changed at all, I am a single user in my home. And only 2-3 times a week for an hour or so. All of the sudden my internet allotted GBs started to just disappear in one day. Tried to talk with HughesNet, they said it wasn't them, it must be something else. They were in fact quite rude about it.

Upgraded to GEN 5 thinking that might help. Nope, still the same thing, in a day, randomly my GBs would disappear. No explanations. Received an email back from one of my correspondence stating that I would receive a call within 24 hours to go over the issues. Never got that call. In November/2018, purchased an extra 25GB. Never saw the whole 25. Only 18gb ever showed on my history, then it went down a little, but in one day it suddenly all disappeared. And big surprise, my monthly bill went up $10/month with no notice whatsoever. I had to agree to a 2yr plan to get my "awesome" deal that lasted 3 months only. Can't wait for this 2yr crap to be over with, more options available now and I will be leaving HughesNet as fast as I can.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Service is very slow. I was told the data is not slowed down. My parents got it. They sold it to them. It has no limits on data. As soon as my contract goes out I will find a new service. I'm in the country and don't have many but there are other companies I was told that there in no data limits.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am appalled that the installer has not taken responsible for the damage to my window screen. I returned to my property to find the screen falling out of the window. It was a $32 repair job. But I'd like for your company to take responsible for this damage. How can I get reimbursed for this damage to my property. I have contacted your company and there is no resolution.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called about purchase of extra giggle to download windows update. Lady I talked to was very helpful and all. My name is Donald ** and I am the only person this account belongs to. The installer back in 2010. Made a mistake and had Richards Satellite added to the account. Please remove Richards Satellite removed from my account.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The person I spoke with put me at ease. She handled everything very professional. I had dreaded contacting the company. I really dislike talking to a computer. I was pleasantly surprised to deal with a live person.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had a great experience with the HughesNet sales department getting my account set up. The installer (a 3rd party) arrived on time and was very polite. HOWEVER - he drilled an extra hole in my brand new floor for the cables (new construction home). His first hole went into the floor joist underneath so he stopped. Rather than just tilt the drill a little to widen the hole, he drilled a SECOND hole several inches away. There isn't a cover plate big enough to cover up both holes. So now we have a cover plate over one hole, and a second hole an inch away.

We didn't have the chance to address it while the installer was there (we were trying to finish the house while he was working) so I called HughesNet several days later to speak with someone about it. The first representative didn't understand what I was talking about. He thought I was complaining about an extra hole in the yard. I had to explain several times that the hole was in my FLOOR, not my YARD. (If it was in my yard, I'd grab a shovel and fill it in. Seriously?) I was told that they were escalating it to the right department and I'd get a call back within 7-10 business days.

Several weeks later I get a check-in call from the sales department asking how the installation went. I advised about the issue with the extra hole and they transferred me to the customer service department. It took me forever to explain what the problem was, and they opened yet another ticket to some other department. Several months later (we were dealing with other problems with the house at the time) I called again to get a status. We were looking for compensation for the floor by this point because we got a quote from our contractor to repair the damage. The representative was very friendly and opened yet another ticket and promised to escalate it some other way that would ensure I would get a call back within 7-10 business days. That was several months ago.

I don't have time to deal with a company that doesn't call back when they say they will. If you set the expectation to call someone back, DO IT. The sales department was fantastic to work with (but aren't they all?) but customer service has been a nightmare. I don't even want to call again and have to spent almost an hour on the phone explaining the issue, just for it to go nowhere.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Hughes Net is a big RIPOFF!!! I chose to go with Dish network (which also sucks) and Hughes Net was the internet provider. Brochure said NO DATA CAPS! Found out after the fact that my plan was 10GB. Normal usage eats that up in one to two days then you're left with internet that is slower than DIAL UP. Take my advice DO NOT CHOOSE HUGHES NET, I COULDN'T EVEN GET MY FIRESTICK TO WORK!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I received a call from billing. And I explained ABOUT my situation still not being resolved. So I was transferred a few times over a period. Of say an hour or more. Where the person I talked to insulted my intelligence. By saying the two different amount deduction from my account was from 2 different months. After we have already established that Y'ALL were deducting funds for Darryl's account. I was closed to the back. So I went in and got the transaction there Y'all took out $358. For Darryl's account and took him back to my point. And STILL. He chose to justify the transaction where monies were taking out for someone else's bill. So I am going home. Aggravated. About a situation that should have been resolved. But every time I talked to someone different. I get a BIGGER HEADACHE THAN THE PRIOR ONE.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Dish fell off roof & billing not corrected to quoted rate. I called last month to correct my bill. I was charged $239.64 and should have been $189.64. The Hughes person said he would make the correction to $189.64 and credit me $50.00. I called today and requested the correction, and the conversation ended with "No correction for last month or this month" and I should seek WiFi from another company. Is this customer service? I will be contacting all my friends and Facebook Friends and tell them.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs