1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

2614 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

First off, this is the first time I have ever felt it necessary to write a review on a business. HughesNet is by far the worst service all the way around, customer service, account management and the speed of their so called WiFi. Today alone I was on the phone with them 3 times, 1 call lasted 15 minutes, then I was disconnected, 2 other calls at 19 minutes each, both disconnected by them. Apparently 19 minutes is all the time they have for unhappy customers. I would strongly recommend reading these reviews before proceeding with them, I wish I had.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I thought that I was speaking with the department that bundles internet and satellite TV for Dish network. I told the woman on the phone that I had satellite TV and now I wanted to get internet bundled with it. She never mentioned HughesNet and she never mentioned a data cap. She told me to call back after the first bill and they could bundle them for me. I now have found out that she lied. She wanted me to wait a month to find out that Hughes and Dish don't bundle so that I can't get out of the contract. Now because Dish Network uses internet my data gets waaay too slow after less than 2 weeks. I'm paying just as much as I did for Spectrum's unlimited data. I have reported them to the BBB and will continue to do what I can to make this right.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 23, 2018

This company is into quantity - ie; getting as much as they can with as little effort as possible. NOT quality. Their customer services is the less than one star. I give them a negative star. I will never do business with a contract satellite company again. Ugh. Beware!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Contract dispute between myself and my internet provider- HughesNet. I was promised that the internet service that I was signing up for was more than adequate to meet the requirements of my internet needs at 59.99 per month with a 2 year contract. This service is suppose to be unlimited. Long story short this is not true, the service that I was sold at 59.99 per month and promised would meet all of my request or needs, I am now told is not adequate and instead of 59.99 a month I now have to pay 129.00 a month to receive the promised service that was promised to me at 59.99 a month. Please help.

This is a on going unregulated problem with these internet providers promising one thing and providing something completely different, and then expecting that the consumer will just fold and except there new explanation for a service that is grossly inadequate compared to what you the consumer was promised. please help to rectify these ongoing unregulated problems.

This company is lying, robbing, and outright misleading every single consumer, that has the misfortune of believing - that in today's business world consumer are protected against company’s such as - this prime example (Hughes Network Systems). Please see fit to file a class action suit against this type of injustice… This is a perfect opportunity, to show our new president that the (Attorney General’s office of WA. State) - is onboard and on top of this type of corruption, misrepresentation and manipulation of the law’s for nothing but (FOR… PROFIT).

Original review: April 23, 2018

I knew moving out to the country I would not have my high speed, however this is worse than I even imaged... You would be better off not having it at all. I can't even watch a video on FB. I have to take my tablet to work to update any of my apps. I watched Netflix and it took all 30gbs in 2 days. I am going to be paying to get out of my contract and move providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have never written a review about a company, but I feel lead to, hoping that somehow what I write or what others have complained about HughesNet may save at least one person from having to deal with this company which I consider the worst I have ever known in my 54 years on this earth. I wish I was politician or lawyer or anyone of power who could influence shutting down this corrupt company. In our rural community, there has been only one internet service available until recently which is quite expensive, but works perfectly. When we heard about HughesNet and a reputable cable TV company offering a joint package to save money on both services in our area, we signed up. We were promised service that was equal to what we had been receiving and our contract was for two years. From installation, HughesNet was a nightmare. They came and left quickly while my son was dealing with the cable TV people.

I came home from work to find that the modem was installed right next to our stove. It was nearly touching the back-stove burner. I was furious because not only was it a fire hazard, but ugly to have a large modem in the middle of your kitchen. My son told me the technician said he did not have a long enough cable to attach it where the other internet provider had installed it previously. My son did not realize this was completely unacceptable. On top of that, the service was so substandard, it was pathetic. Re: Gaming: it was impossible. My husband had been completely mislead there. Even Customer Service said they do not have gaming capability. Re: our only desktop PC located in our son's room: Wi-Fi did not work on it at all for the one and a half months we were with this company. When we complained about this, along with everything else, we were told that it must be too far from the modem.

What are we in, the dark ages? The last company had no problem servicing his PC, we demanded the same. Next, Wi-Fi that did barely work in our telephones and laptops were incredibly laggy. Watching YouTube videos or streaming Amazon movies was ridiculous. The screen would freeze even as Customer Service was testing it, asking is this better repeatedly for 2 hours at a time while they tried to fix it remotely. I told them that even my simple online Scrabble game didn't work properly. Every day when I would come home from work and play it, after 1 minute, it would say WiFi disconnected. The chat wouldn't work, the board or chat would misfunction. Re: email: When I would access my work emails from home through Microsoft 365, I could not send an email, but rather only save the message to draft. The only way I could was to turn off internet service, pay for 4g with Verizon, send the message and turn Wi-fi(?!) on again.

You probably wonder why we put up with this at all. Why, because they refused to let us out of contract and we would be forced to pay $400 early cancellation fee. Instead, they would insist they could fix it. The worst part is when you call in, there IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE US!!! Every call is connected to call centers all over the world. I spoke to at least 10 representatives. By about the 8th, I asked how I could contact CS in the US. She told me I could only write to their office in Texas by snail-mail. Could a company actually run like this. By last representative at Philippines Call Center, I asked if there was any human being in the US that I could actually speak to, she said no, only possibly advance tech in TX who failed at fixing any problem and could not handle CS questions, ie: canceling service.

You get nowhere with the people at the call centers. They are trained to just delay you. You demand that you want out and $ back and they say, “I understand, but we must troubleshoot the problem first.” When they would fail each time and even agree that diagnostics proved that system not performing up to threshold, they would say that Supervisor must call me back to let me know how to proceed. First time this happened, no one called back. When I called back, there was no record of the call the day before and they actually tried to convince me that I had never spoken to anyone there. After that, I got names and reference #s. Supervisor called back to test diagnostics again. I complained all sane tests, but was told this was Advanced Technicians cling, have to perform tests again. When that didn't work, I was told they were sending a technician to our house. I was glad to hear it as the modem was still in our kitchen!

I had complained about this a # of times before, but finally, this representative from India, I believe, was alarmed. He looked up the picture of the installation and could not believe his eyes. He said to move the modem immediately, that the unit could overheat and explode!!! Unfortunately, when we couldn't move it because it wouldn't work in either of the other rooms it worked for other company. The original installer came to the house and was completely nonchalant about putting our lives at risk. He said, “I never heard of that before.” I said, "Did you actually think that we would be pleased having an ugly large modem right next to our kitchen stove?!!" He said it was because he didn't have a long enough cord for upstairs. I said, "Why not? - unacceptable." I also said there is another outlet in our guest room. He said he didn't know. All he had to was ask our son who was there at time of 1st installation.

He upgraded and updated as much as possible and finally said there was nothing else he could do. He said that others in our area are having the same problem, yet we are still receiving advertising that HughesNet is now available in our area boasting how good their plans and lying about services they cannot fulfill. At this point, I called back, demanding money back and cancellation without penalty. This, yet one more foreign representative, said there was just one more thing that must be done. She tested from afar and said our modem was faulty and needed to be switched out and that should solve all our problems. She could only guarantee 1 month's payment back - $86- but that would not be applied until next month's bill. They sent new modem and service no better. Called back final time. It had to be retested by satellite yet again, 2 more hours of at least 10, after my work hours or during my weekends.

She could not complete testing because testing would need to restarted because it would stop in the middle of it. I got the angriest I had ever gotten, shaking, "I will call a lawyer or get news involved, have had enough, this is ludicrous." She had audacity to say the only test of 6-8 that actually did work showed service within normal range. She said that if I was not experiencing that, that we would need to buy a Wi-Fi booster at Walmart. I have never been so angry in my life and demanded to speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for at least 10 minutes, came back on and said supervisor not available yet, but that she could cancel the service for me, but could not waive the $400 cancellation fee. Are you kidding? I would have done that 6 weeks before, but losing $400 + payments made was always the problem, would be receiving nothing against those.

Told her completely unacceptable. She said she would see if Supervisor available yet. After 10 minutes, came back on and said Supervisor would waive cancellation fee, Alleluia!! Asked her what about $86 credit we are supposed to receive? She said, can't have that. That is only good towards future payments, cannot reimburse payments already made, but possibly get an adjustment of days not used because cancelling with 2 weeks left of prepayment. I told her that was still unacceptable, but that I will cancel now to be done with them immediately with no cancellation penalty, but that we will be writing a letter to their CS or contacting their billing department (in another country!) about the $ we are still due for crappy service for 6 weeks. Thank God she cancelled our service with them then and there yesterday.

We are restoring our service with our old internet company asap. In the meantime, I am writing this using 4 G because I did not want to forget a single thing and needed to get this off my chest. This company is disgusting. How this company exists in the US is unfathomable to me. They must be shut down. I hope the right advocacy group will take care of this problem or media can shut them down.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I got this service because we'd moved to an area that was just outside the city limits. It was considered "rural". Since there was no other service provider, HughesNet was what we were stuck with. The service was constantly cutting out. We got the highest package they had and it was worse than using my cellphone data. I actually used our cellphone data more than we did with this service. Customer service was decent but still very misleading. Forgot about streaming video or gaming with this internet. It's just not worth the money. Unless you have no other choice, I wouldn't choose HughesNet.

Original review: April 21, 2018

This must be a Twilight Zone episode. Customer service is designed to frustrate you into screaming mode. Service so dismal, my PC could never complete its updates. They sent me new equipment, twice... which I installed & it didn't work. They sent technician, he said new modem not compatible with old equipment outside & he reconnected the old equipment. Internet worked slow for 1 month then just stopped. Now Hughes is saying new equipment was never completely installed. They are sending a technician out again. They lie & make up new excuses. Honestly I'm going thru all this to save $200 and I'm not sure it's worth the mental anguish. Don't connect with this company, it's better to not have Internet at all than to deal with their insane customers service.

Original review: April 20, 2018

After install company did not activate account, I went through 4 days of trying to get someone to help only to be told that the guy is on vacation and would call me later to walk me through it. Still awaiting the call!!! After reviewing the other reviews I am sorry I went with this company!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

They promise 25Mbps speeds. As I'm writing this review, I'm getting the blazing speed of .1Mbps. This is consistently how terrible their service is. You're better off being in the stone age and saving your 70 bucks a month.

Original review: April 18, 2018

HughesNet is an awful, terrible, horrible company. I had them for way too many years. Next time they have the guts to advertise on TV, notice they don’t say anything about streaming movies and video and such. They can’t. You'll use up all your allocated bandwidth time before the movie gets thru the credits. Tech troubles? Good luck. No one speaks understandable English and they start you off with a litany of stupid questions. ("Is your modem plugged into an AC outlet?") Use 2 tin cans and a string to get your internet. It’s less trouble and you'll reduce your stress load immensely.

Original review: April 18, 2018

First I was unable to register online with the company. I emailed them and they replied with a form letter on how to register. I still couldn't register. Last month I spent 20 minutes on the phone updating them on my new debit card # and getting auto pay set up, after driving 50 miles to phone service so I could call them. I couldn't pay online because I couldn't register my account, now I have spent 2 days trying to reach a human there via email because they say they have no info to get my payment.

I was able to register today but when I tried again to pay, they again said I have no account. When I say I can't call them because I don't have phone service, they say they will call me. I have gotten the same 2 form letters from many different people telling me how to go online and how to make a payment. Each time I try to go online it takes me to the late payment letter where my only option is to make a payment and it won't let me pay. They don't actually answer my emails. They just send the same form letter again, which does not apply. Frustrating!

Original review: April 17, 2018

The service I received from Hughes Net has got to be a joke. It was not able to stream anything to the TV more than 5 minutes. I called for the technician to see what was wrong. He showed up and checked the system. He said it was not a problem with not my computer. He also said the Hughes system was overloaded with more customers than it could handle and everyone has the same problem and there was nothing he could do to make it work. I also had a problem picking up any information on the internet that had pictures in it. So I cancelled the service and had to pay a penalty. I had to go back to AT&T since that is my only other option. Spectrum refuses to run service here. I only wish I had read these complaints before. How can companies do this in this country and get away with it. Are there no laws?

Original review: April 17, 2018

Oh my word! Right now I want to find out how to prevent them from billing me for the remainder of the "contract". I do not know why I chose Hughes except for the false advertisement. It is not an American ran company with American values. At All. I have not had good service or corrected service and I am frustrated trying to find someone who speaks clear English, but more importantly does not repeat everything I tell them without understanding what I am trying to say. This last call(s) required multiple transfers until someone told me they didn't have the capability to transfer me from the Philippines to the US. ARGH!

I am going to have to send the equipment back and I am going to eat the shipment if I can find out how to do so. I am breaking a contract after 4 months of calling, three service upgrades to get it to work at all because I was told I needed more data. I was told that the slowdowns were due to being capped out on data so to rectify the problem I could pay more monies and get more data for a plan that was supposed to be an unlimited plan. Due to being mislead by their representative I asked to cancel my subscription with them.

I was told there would be a $400.00 cancellation fee for early cancellation. It seems like this company's policy is to tell the consumer what they want to hear to get them to subscribe and when they don't get the promised performance they want to charge more monies to try and fix the issue. For a misleading company I do not understand how they can still be in business. It is sad when there are about 462 reviews and over 400 of them are one star. I would give a negative 5 stars if it were possible. Right now I want to find out how to prevent them from billing me for the remainder of the "contract."

Original review: April 16, 2018

The service is substandard. I first started with the 70 dollar package and it was terrible. Up it to the 100 package and no change. Very slow and not worth the money. What a rip off. Only two months of a two year contract. So if anyone is thinking of HughesNet do not do it. A total rip off.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was a customer of HughesNet. I live in a rural area so options for internet are limited. The problem started when I was told we could upgrade to Gen 5 which would allow Netflix and better internet. I received equipment and installed it. It never worked. This was the end of December 2017. I spent numerous hours on the phone with Tech support, my only option since I had no internet. The issue never resolved and I boxed up equipment and returned it to Hughesnet. In January 2018 I went with another company for internet. Hughesnet continues to send bills and attempts to draft checking account. I am hoping someone in the company will see this and stop it. The phone record will show how much of my time was spent attempting to resolve this issue.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am a very moderate user. I stream music occasionally, watch a little Netflix from time to time and browse the internet. I was told that my 20GB plan was more than sufficient for this. Not only does the service cut out and lag when trying to watch a show, it takes up to 5 minutes to even connect to iHeartRadio; which is ridiculous. Beyond that, with my minimal usage, they tell me I'm out of data 1/2 way through the month. I called to let them know that the data usage can't be correct and I'm having other service issues. The data is depleting when I'm not even home and there are no devices connected. They tell me I'm wrong and I have to pay more for more data. Ah... no. I do not want this service that doesn't work, so I told them to cancel it.

They tell me they'd be happy to for a $400 termination fee because I'm on a contract which I know nothing about. The only thing I signed was on the installer's broken cell phone screen; which he told me was confirmation that he was there and did the installation. Never mentioned a contract... I explain that I will not be paying them $400 for terminating a service that DOES NOT WORK. The rep was rude (and of course they're located in the Philippines). So not only does the service suck, the customer service sucks as well. I have seen that there are multiple class action lawsuits against this company.

I have been in contact with the FCC and will also be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. If legal action is necessary, I'm prepared to do that as well. A Facebook site mentioned this phone # as their Corporate Customer Service #, but I haven't tried it yet. I will be. Feel free to try it as well... 301-428-5500. I find it utterly ridiculous in this day and age that a company would expect you to pay for a service that doesn't meet your needs. I also find their business practices to be deceiving, at best. Shame on HUGHESNET!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I just got off the phone with a acct manager named Austin, who probably goes by Rico and he lives in the Philippines. Anyways, Our service with Hughes Net is absolutely terrible. Everyone needs to find a good Consumer Affairs attorney and shut these morons down. It is obvious they have not learned anything from DirecTV or DISH because they have absolutely no technical support, their customer service is deceptive and hangs up if you disagree with them.

We asked to cancel our service due to where we live since their service up here in Puget Sound is absolutely terrible. Their technology they're using doesn't work since the signal drops all the time. Then I find out thru talking with them that you have two networks, not one according to "Rico". We were never told of such a change and had to configure it with them which still does not work. He says there are separate higher speed network for newer devices??? I never heard of such **, and this flip was full of it. I am not going to pay $100 per month for inconsistent performance. When you're in Technology, you cannot say to a customer, sorry it doesnt work in the rain storms? I think Hughes Net are castoffs from the failure of WildBlue... I'm not paying for such ** service again, EVER!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I got HughesNet about a year ago. I bought the system for almost $500. I was told I am not under contract. I just told them I was selling my place and want to stop service the 1st of June. They told me I would have to pay $340.00. I hate this company and would not advise anyone to go with them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We have had HughesNet for roughly 1 year and the connection has been terrible. I have tried several time to cancel the service but it is very hard to cancel because of the contract that you sign at the beginning of service. I would suggest that if you are looking for a rural carrier you avoid HughesNet as a provider. You will be very disappointed and would have to keep the terrible service.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This is a terrible service! They trick you into believing their lowest data package will be suffice for streaming 2-3 movies a week and using regular internet daily. IT'S A LIE! We are now paying over $100 a month for their services and are locked into a 2 year contract. I called a week after getting the services to cancel because we were so unsatisfied, they said it would cost $400 to cancel the services! Every time we call in we are on hold for great amounts of time and get a customer service agent that is hard to understand.

Original review: April 12, 2018

When I moved out to the country there was no internet services that serviced the area nor where there any cable companies in the area; therefore, I had to choose another option for TV and internet. I decided to go with DirecTV and they stated they did not provide internet, but were associated with HughesNet for their internet. I Then told them that would be fine. "BIG MISTAKE". What I was told by the representative was there were no overcharges or slowdowns with unlimited internet service. I advised them several times of the internet usage that would be done and was assured the service plan was sufficient for my needs. "Wrong." From day one the service was very slow. I was unable to stream any videos due to the connection being too slow. The first time I called to see why I was unable to stream and why the internet was so slow, I was advised it was probably a setting in the router, but because I was not at the residence they could not help me.

Once at home, I recontacted HughesNet and gave them the case number I was told to give upon calling back. I was told that the slowdowns were due to being capped out on data so to rectify the problem I could pay more monies and get more data for a plan that was supposed to be an unlimited plan. Due to being mislead by their representative I asked to cancel my subscription with them. I was told there would be a $400.00 cancellation fee for early cancellation. It seems like this companies policy is to tell the consumer what they want to hear to get them to subscribe and when they don't get the promised performance they want to charge more monies to try and fix the issue. For a misleading company I do not understand how they can still be in business. It is sad when there are about 462 reviews and over 400 of them are one star. I would give a negative 5 stars if it were possible.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I called a month ago, and notified Hughes Net of my husband's passing and I would like for the account to be closed. I was told the equipment would need to be returned. I said ok. Hung up, after being lead to believe the account was closed. My mother then informs me Hughes Net keeps calling her all hours of the day and night. I made the mistake of calling from my mother's phone to cancel. I call them back and I find out they are saying I never cancelled! The lady says "Hold on for the cancellation department," and with that I am placed on hold for a very long time almost like on purpose hoping I would hang up.

Finally, someone picks up and tells me "oh, your husband signed a contract!" What the heck! Puts me on hold again! And for what seems like an eternity all the while being tortured by the most irritating music you can imagine! I felt like a hostage! Finally comes back, she is so calm, passive aggressive comes to mind, asks me a lot of questions, which I feel I must answer just so she will give me the all important cancellation number! Be warned! If you want to cancel your contract for any reason, even DEATH, it will NOT be easy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I was having a hard time with my internet and work from home so I needed a stronger service. Having a limited number of options, I decided to give them a chance. Worst mistake! I had to use my hotspot to do my work. When I called them they said I had too many devices connected?! Even when all the devices were NOT connected it still said it was. This past weekend was the absolute worse. I was trying to back up my phone and actually had to leave my house and go to a friends. I did the speed test... no lie it was .42!!! I had the highest plan! I had, had enough.

I switched to Spectrum this week! When I called to cancel my service with them they said I’d signed a contract and I have to pay $310 and that all the equipment had to be returned in good condition or I’d be charged for it. So the service sucks, the customer service is horrible and they tie you down because they know the service is horrible. Honestly they should not be allowed to sell internet service it’s a complete ripoff and I wish I could sue them!! Don’t buy the service!!! You’ve been warned.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have the same issue as all of you and am now being taken advantage of, here is my story. We've had HughesNet since April of last year, 4.4.17. but I moved in December and supposedly "renewed" my contract for 2 more years of discounted promotional pricing of $20 off as they promised me, having signing electronically to their updated contract that they insisted I sign automatically as my new system was installed. Today is 4.11.18 and that agreement "promise" doesn't even exist evidently on their end only because they are claiming I am needing to just pay full price for internet that has been unplugged from the wall and satellite...

I'm not that extravagant. I was moving to another location and they insisted again the day of installation that I had "2 more years of a new service agreement with promotional pricing of $20 off" which I agreed to, over the phone to someone I could barely understand. And then THE SAME NIGHT OF INSTALLATION an additional $30 off (supposedly) was necessary, for the speeds INEXPLICABLY being below 3mbps download on a good day, as well as .35kbps upload when promised 3mbps, AGAIN. Netflix wouldn't even load up now since Dec. install, when on my moms Exceed it works without issue ever and loads the same page just fine. But 'never admit to your mistakes' right.

It HAD to be Netflix' site and they would constantly refuse to state any different pointing dirty fingers, until the end when I really just wouldn't stop calling and complaining every week with a new issue that involved 2+ hours of FORCED "troubleshooting attempts" that only ended in me suspiciously and very suddenly on the call having 25mbps download speeds, AS LONG AS I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH THEM and using their speed test. When I can get on my ps4 and the speeds are a dismal 3mbps download speed IRL. They reject your reality, and substitute their own!

I was calling in every week on the dot with either their "new gen5!" modem threatening to overheat and catch my drapes on fire, or it just wouldn't connect at all leaving me days at a time without service that I was still charged for even though I couldn't even load a web page in under 15 seconds. (We haven't gotten to the bad part yet...) When I complained about this, they first made it sound as if they were doing me some substantial favor for giving me "$50" total including their promotional $20 off 2 year pro-rate which, this month when I wanted to cancel, then never existed and no one knew what I was talking about. They were still taking $50 out of my account monthly and not upholding to their service agreement or their contract which they would every time without fail use against me in full force anytime I threatened to cancel service, but would never uphold to themselves!

Their 3rd party sat. company that "they get a great deal for working with" for our area are STUPID like they will stand there, they crape talked Hughes the entire time, and installed the satellite wrong every time and another one of their "technicians" would have to come out after them and fix the issue of misalignment or wrong programming of the last yeehaw. Anytime I would try to ask for a physical technician to come out and fix THEIR faulty equipment, I was met with a "we are going to have to charge your account $125 for a service fee and any additional labor." I refused and simply stated that their equipment not working was NOT my fault, and to have someone come out and fix the dang thing or I was going to cancel my service altogether.

They then greet me with "well ma'am seeing as technically your speeds are "standard" or "acceptable" even though the satellite is misaligned, you do not have any grounds to break the contract, therefore we will have to charge you an early termination fee of around $300-$500 depending." "Depending?" I ask. "Yes it just depends on your location and how much trouble the technician has to go through." That's all I ever got, but was threatened until the very end with the $300 early termination fee which I just kept refusing until they waived it... I guess they just got tired of listening to me complain like 100% of their customer base about the same issues over and over again?

Maybe if they didn't manipulate their speeds and lie through their teeth so bad mud was coming out of their ears we wouldn't have this problem. Maybe if their call centers weren't based in the deep east or the Philippines where one time I called the center was being hit by an active volcano so I stayed on the phone with him until it disconnected... or I get someone with such a thick accent. I just can't understand them then. When I asked for an English speaking person, they give me someone just as bad, or just hang up on me.

We have really been taken through the ringer with this company and I strongly urge anyone to just deal with Dial Up, it's faster and more reliable. Especially with what I am about to let you in on what I've been going through since the 5th of this month. I finally got fed up and demanded their Special tech support that they would always tell me to wait 3-5 business days for a call that never once came then blamed me for my perfectly fit voicemail being broken or some other excuse. In the end, I never got to speak to their Special tech support, and had to end up demanding my service be shut off and that they look at my call history and see the same issues I've been having since December 17'. I demanded the early termination fee of $300 be waived and insisted that their faulty equipment, again, was not my fault and I refused putting them in a corner, I honestly don't think they expected me to be so stubborn and just take this lying down.

Tech support is clueless and the men are mean, but the supervisor, if you are ever lucky to get one, is meaner and even more ruthless. He then genuinely acted as if they were doing me some substantial favor by waiving the $300 early termination fee, and I should just take their partial credit and basically shut it and be happy with what I get if anything stating that they were about to just forget it all together and take all my fund. I was threatened of this a couple of times because I wanted to cancel months ago and they then told me I had no solid reason to cancel service. I was told at 2 am on the 4th (day before my bill generated) to call back after 6 am to speak to account management and billing to cancel my service, a call later that conveniently never existed in their records... In that time frame, the morning of the 5th of this month, my card was emptied of exactly $99 that was stolen off of my debit card, leaving me of exactly $1.

Lo and Behold, Hughesnet had randomly, and unjustly without any reason taken more and double my existing bill I had been paying for the past 4 months, Plus any extra (but $1) off my account insisting that my promotional pricing period has ended, and are now withholding it from me for ransom. Even though, I was promised $30 off of my bill and I attempted to disconnect service at 2 am on the 4th and was told to just call back that he couldn't do anything and neither could his supervisor. I revoked their auth. to my card at 2 am on that phone call, this was a very crucial call.

They apologized on the 5th after the funds where deducted, and told me that, and I quote "we have to wait 10 days to process any refund. It's our policy to ensure the payment doesn't get reversed. We are only going to give you $95 back bc we are charging you for 1 day of service, that's just the credit that has already been initiated and it cannot be changed by anyone here." That I didn't use the 1 day because I couldn't log onto it, but somehow they see usage bc it was still plugged in at this time and active so I was charged for that day. "You purchased a gross amount of tokens and we are charging you for that as well as your bill." Which is a bold faced lie bc I can't afford their tokens and the only one who has access to my acct. is ME. Then it changed again by the same person, "oh I'm sorry it wasn't token purchases those where credited to you bc we troubleshooted so many times, I now see... they are a gift." I NEVER SAW THEM.

After a couple of hours arguing with both a cust. serv. rep and a very rude supervisor, I was told flat out it was my bank's problem, "Now, WE DON'T GIVE REFUNDS." And they hung up on me... So I called back. And then I called back again today when I noticed no box at my doorstep on 4.11 to return their bs system. The very innocent clueless girl states that there was no record of a box or label ever been dispatched, and eventually they told me I was just imagining it because I was so upset... I've contacted the BBB in Washington DC and informed them fully of the thievery and their business tactics and just submitted all the information for their records, which they said they would look into it. Froze my card and signed a waiver to reject any further transactions to my card from them which costs me more money. From where? Don't take my $1, please it's all I have left.

They are still are withholding the $99 they stole and often keep offering me partial quantities of my funds back. (You can't make up this type of stupid.) Then insist they can't refund at all when I demand the full amount stolen off my bank card. They broke contract with me that I signed in December for 2 years of discounted service and now have no definite story other than it's out of their hands, "deal with your bank, we don't give refunds." Part of the time, I can't even understand them or they are just really mean and unhelpful and I'm not quick to get angry with people or upset unless I know for sure I'm being taken advantage of somehow.

I want them out of business because I don't want anyone else feeling as defeated as I did over that phone, strung along for months for lie after lie. I don't want to be transferred to the Philippines or India where some yahoo can steal my personal information because they don't have to abide by the state or country laws here. I'm done, finally got them to disconnect and waive the $300 fee only after finally at the end losing my cool, raising my voice to the very mean supervisor, and threatening legal action which I don't have the money for but I wish deeply that someone would make a petition I would gladly sign. And Hopefully the BBB takes them down bc people are obviously still being scammed. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH! Bc I didn't do enough... my only advice to anyone in my situation that before you proceed any further with these people, order a PayPal debit card bc it's the only way I'm getting my money back.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I called HughesNet because we are in rural area and internet I had was slow. HughesNet GUARANTEED me faster more reliable service. Only 2 days after I called for help because internet was slower than old carrier. They put TECH SUPPORT on w/ me (NOT support at all). I NEED landline and cheaper for me to go through Hughes, so yes! Stupid me sign up for phone but they charge you for the (phone that is a ama) box you connect to your modem and phone. I still haven't figured out how to do it. Even in watching the video they said you have to watch. Still unable to talk w/ someone regarding my concerns because call in cell breaks up when talking on it and because I can't get phone installed I don't have a landline either!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We had HughesNet service installed in January. The services are very slow and the connection would not even reach to the TV in the bedroom which is two doors down from the modem. We contacted them at least three times but still they did not fix. We called to cancel today. The lady tells us we have a 24 month commitment which they never told us on the phone. She says they emailed it but verbally they told us it was a month to month contract. So the salesperson just told us what we wanted to hear on the phone to get us to connect I guess and now they think they got us!!!

She says all avenues have not been exhausted to fix the issue so they have to bill us for the early termination. Why would we continue with the service when we have called at least three times in two months and it still isn't fixed. WHY DIDN'T THEY FIX IT THE FIRST TIME WE CALLED IF ALL AVENUES HAVEN'T BEEN EXHAUSTED. I will be demanding that the early termination fee be removed from my account because the service is faulty and the salesperson lied to us!. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had an awful experience with HughesNet. My father had to put my service through them in his name because they couldn’t find enough credit history for me. Then they took payments out of MY account when they were suppose to be taking payments from my father’s account. Since it was technically in his name. Then they wouldn’t allow me to cancel the service, but could take payments out of my account? How does that make any sense? I had to literally go to my bank and Order a new debit card to stop payments to HughesNet.

Since my father is a truck driver, we set it up so I could call HughesNet and make any decisions. This was during our setup on a 3 way call. Then when I went to cancel it I was not allowed. But they could take the payments out of my account?? This company is very shady and just wants your money! They have crappy service! Which is why we cancelled. We got the “fastest” speed and couldn’t even watch videos on our phones on Facebook! Nor could we use the Netflix we pay for! Then to top it off they wanted more money to send me the boxes to send their equipment to them! And even more money after that!!! I do not recommend this shady company to anyone! I would’ve rather waited until Spectrum came in our area.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Had HughesNet satellite service installed. First thing I want to say is the service is very slow. Next I contacted them because they installed the dish right in front of my electrical panel which now I cannot even open the electrical panel door. I called them to have this corrected and they want $125.00 for the technician to come out and then labor time. They are the ones who installed it there in the first place. I am very unhappy with their service. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET.

Original review: April 8, 2018

In my opinion, HughesNet is worse than terrible, but I had to give it one star to give review. If I could give zero stars that’s what they would get. Needed satellite internet where I live. Not many to choose from. Called to set up account towards the end of March 2018 and they charged me for a month and I didn’t even have it installed until April 6! And the tech had a hard time getting it to work. After he left we had nothing but problems. Had to unplug modem 3 times and it was slow. Couldn’t watch videos on YouTube because it kept buffering.

After a day we called this morning 4/8/18 to cancel and had to ask them over 8 times to cancel because they kept trying to say they would fix it and when they finally agreed to cancel because we were insistent they said they might have to charge us a $400 early termination fee. At one point my husband was talking to a rep and when he was complaining and asked for a United States based call center the rep hung up on my husband. They are terrible! Don’t use them!!! Go with DSL if you have no other choice outside of HughesNet!

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs