1.11/5

2811 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

HughesNet is the worst internet since the days of AOL dial-up. They claim to be "unlimited," but what they really are is a data plan. Once you're past your allotted monthly data, which usually is used up by about day 3 or five of the month, they slow you down to a crawl and it's pretty much unusable. You can then purchase "tokens" to speed it back up. 3MB of data costs $9 and only last for about 3 hours of streaming on low def, despite what they say. The first month we had it, it worked just fine, but ever since it has been garbage. And to make things worse, they lock you into a two-year commitment, so we're stuck. Do yourself a favor. DO NOT GET HUGHESNET!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Over the last two years we have spent over 50 hours on the phone with HughesNet (figure each call takes at least an hour) in regards to their slow and unreliable internet. Rarely do we get their "advertised" speeds, at the time I'm writing this we are averaging around 1.5 Mbps Down. Their customer service is a time waste, they just repeat the same thing over and over again and they never actually do anything to fix the issues.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I asked about HughesNet. The agent told they have the fastest internet provider because it's a satellite and it only cost $39.99 plus the modem $9.99 so all in all was $49.99 a month for 24 months. She said if I cancel I would pay $400 before 2 years of contract. And I said, "I would not cancel if you are true to your word." I subscribe then on Aug 25 they charge me $49.99 so I called them and asked why did they charged me. I thought I have one month free? But they said, "Don't worry. We will take it out on the next billing cycle," and I am not even one month.

September 25 comes they bill me for $61.25 so I called again. "I thought the $49.99 a month for 2 years, why did you billed me $61.00?" They said, "Because you have two account," and I said, "Look. Even if you come to my house you only installed one modem." So the customer representative said, "I am going to put your internet up to 25 gigabyte," so that I can experience fast internet as promised but I have to sign it up for 2 months. I did but it is still the same. It takes a long time to load the movie. I even fall asleep waiting. So I cancel it and they let me pay for $200 and $50.00 for the technician to come and get the satellite at the top of my roof.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We tried Hughes Net in an effort to bring down our cable costs. It was an unmitigated disaster. I told my sister to keep all the records because at some point there would be a class action suit. I had a lot of problems but the big one I had was I felt I was being cheated on data. When the month began, the amount of time used was much slower than the last half of the month, where you were out of units or whatever it was in like five minutes. We couldn't wait to get rid of it. Very poor service, very poor everything.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I am moving. I wanted to cancel my services. They said it would take 7 to 10 business days to get me a box to send back three items: (1) the modem; (2) the power cord; and, (3) the radio transmitter (which is located on the satellite dish on my steep roof). I have to pay some techie company $100 to remove the radio transmitter. And, then I will have to send it back to Hughes Net myself. But, I will be long gone and move away and thus I cannot get the radio transmitter given to me - Can the techie company mail it back to you? NO - You have to mail it back. If you don't send it back you will be billed $200.

Next problem - "Can you stop my service Next Friday?" "Yes - But it will cost you $160 since it is not at the end of your billing cycle." "When is the end of my billing cycle?" "Next Saturday." "So, if I stop service on Friday it costs me $160 - But if I stop on Saturday It will cost me $145." "Yes" she said - "would you like me to stop your service on Friday?" "NO" I said - "wait one more day and I save $15." That is called a "No-Brainer."

Hypothetical - If the new owner of my home wants to use Hughes Net, can I simply cancel my services and allow him to use my modem, power cord, and radio transmitter? They said "NO" - "You will have to pay $145 and your name will stay on the contract but the new owner of your home will be able to use your account and we will simply bill him." "WHAT?" My name stays on the account? And, I can let the new owner of my home use the account under one of two scenarios: First Scenario - New owner cannot modify or change services without my permission; or, Second Scenario - I give new owner permission to make changes to the services on the account he is paying for... Terrible options and legally stupid!

Finally, I cancelled my services for "NEXT SATURDAY" and I will pay the $145 cancellation fee. I got an address to send my modem and the power cord and the radio transmitter (which I will somehow find a way to get it off my satellite dish which is still on the roof! Never will I ever recommend these guys. Hughes Net service is terrible - And, I only mentioned how hard it was to cancel my services. I have a "plethora" of other complaints about their terrible satellite delivery - 15 mps - Absolutely horrible - The up-load and down-load is probably better in the remotest parts of India.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

1. The satellite fails to provide steady and consistent service. Any bit of cloud cover knocks it out, forget it if it rains.

2. The speed is very slow. 3 people cannot use the internet for basic surfing at one time. This is basic surfing, not videos or games or movies.
3. The contract is not negotiable. There is no way out, even if circumstances are beyond one's control. Our landlord sent a letter telling us to remove the satellite due to changes being made on the property. HN insists that I must still pay the cancellation fee and early termination.

4. The M-cell does NOT work with HN satellite although I was told it did when I looked into the service. I now cannot even use my cell phone at home. I will never recommend nor do business with this company ever again and I will do my best to spread the word so that others are not trapped in a lose-lose situation.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My husband and I recently purchased a home in Upson county, GA. We came from Griffin, GA. In this current county there are limited networks so I chose this one. Since I have had this network I have never really used it. It never ever works properly. When I lived in Griffin I used Xfinity which might I add was absolutely amazing. This company (HughesNet) has the very worst service I have ever used and I am so disappointed that I have to pay a contract fee because the service is **... DO NOT use the service provider because it is not worth one cent.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Our service resets on the 7th, so being throttled with a download speed of 1.3 mpbs, I went to bed early, having disconnected the modem (as I have been doing every night). To my surprise I had used 460 mb the second I went on the internet. I have called & complained and even now, on the 8th I am already thru 1.9 GB - go figure. I have been on the net playing on Pogo & Facebook Slots for 4.5 hours today, and guess what... my download speed has NOT improved. For years I had only 10 GB usage and never went over that... What gives - I was constantly on the internet, doing the exact same things. I complained to BBB and got a call from FINALLY someone I could understand who talked in circles. Someone needs to do SOMETHING to find out why we pay $80.00 a month for this horrible service. Living in the deep woods they have us captive for sure, and I'll be darned if I'll pay a cent more to have slow internet for the last 15 days every month.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

"Your system is functioning properly, everything is working, except there is no internet connection." If there is rain, cloud, anything = No internet. Today 80+ no cloud = no internet. Called tech support. "Yes Florida has great weather, but we receive an email saying... Has bad weather, so we can't do any check on your system. We just have to wait still the weather get better..." So now, if anywhere has bad weather, that means we don't get connection!?! BS. Called customer service, got put on hold then hung up = typical respond when call C.S. 5 to 7 calls before they answer. Hughes monopolizes all rural areas, holding customer hostage w/ pit poor services because there is no other choice, except to drive 10 miles in town to use library computer. Avoid Hughes if one can. If we aren't disabled and transportation is a major issue, we would not use/pay this company.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I paid the $400.00 to have Hughes Net cancelled. We had nothing but problems, slow speeds and very bad experience altogether. Why are these companies allowed to operate at all? Where are the laws in America that protect people against corrupt business?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Hughes Net overcharges, stops working on days with very few clouds, nobody speaks or understands English. And you can't get anything resolved without getting a major runaround. They should pay us to use their system. I get better reception with my T-Mobile 4g than their laughable "high speed" internet service. Everyone you talk to acts like it's THEIR money you're using, so they find ways to overcharge you for every little complaint. I've only seen a worker once since installation which the worker told us there would be NO CHARGE for. Yet the company charged us for it and all he did was reposition the satellite by 1/4 inch and I could have done that myself. It took a lot of yelling and 3 months to get it straightened out but we were still charged a small fee and only paid it to avoid the continuing hassles of non-English speakers telling us it's not their department. I dropped them and will NEVER EVER use them again or recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Please stay away from this company. The promises about speed and reliability are completely false. If you call for support or assistance you will not speak with someone in the United States who can even discuss it clearly with you. They read from a script and just repeat the same sentence over and over. If you become frustrated with the lack of service or communication, they will become rude. If you hang up, they just keep calling you back getting ruder. The service itself is absolutely horrible. Can't even use it so slow. Technical support is non-existence. Basically - oh well- must be your fault because of property location, weather or trees! I just paid a huge fee to get away from these people who didn't deliver on what they promised. Knowing that I will never have to deal with them again, the cancellation fee was the best thing I ever paid them for.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Why do I feel this company is tied to crooked Hillary? I have had similar experiences as others here. Charged $350 for a tech visit after complaining about less than 1 mbps speeds (while still having plenty of bonus data). After complaining and trying to get the charges reversed we were told by a moderator on their forum that they would reverse it just to be given the run around by the customer service rep. Latest experience, we had a power outage and now our internet will not work and we were told we would have to have a tech out at our expense. That $400 early termination fee looks pretty appealing at this time.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I ordered Hughes after salesperson said you could game with it. It's very poor service and not only can you not game, you can barely do anything. What is worse is the contract. If you cancel after 30 days, but before six months you will have to pay 400. Now the previous owner had this service, so Dish was already here. On top of that you'll have to send equipment back, one of which is attached to roof. If you don't that, it is an additional 300. They recommend professional removal of radio and that will cost you 100. So this was a horribly expensive swindle. I do not recommend!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Been having issues with this company since signing with them. Their internet is fast on a good day, if the wind is not blowing and Venus and Mars are lined up perfectly. Having an issue with connection speed real real slow and the representative did a test and said really slow and they would get a technician out here Friday and told me to get in out here it would cost me a low cost of 100 and something dollars. I lost it with him. I already pay for express service of 7.50 a month and wanting to charge me to come fix their equipment. Oh no. Won't happen. Their equipment that need to fix it. One more year with this fly by night company, do not use these people.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I cancelled my HughesNet in February 2018, a rep only suspended it, they started charging me again. I called and was promised my money would be back in the bank today because all my equipment was paid for by me. Today I called, took 3 calls to get a manager, Ms. ** in the Philippines said I have to return equipment first. Explained due to their error I was charged and 2 reps, verified I owned the equipment. I'm on disability so they caused a problem with my checking. Now Bills are messed up.

She said they can't even process til next week and I have to return a transmitter off my dish which is on a roof and I have to pay someone to do it. Requested Corporate number was just another customer service, so I called the parent company EchoStar and received a number for the complaint department to leave a message. So I'm out more than they took and am having to wait to get that money back to probably cover other fees and most likely not be able to meet all this months obligations because their rep didn't do their job.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We had Gen5 satellite internet only because it was the only option in the area. We never saw speeds that they claimed. Transferred service only to avoid the ridiculous termination fee - only to learn later that they started a new 2 year contract without our knowledge. Not only did we pay $60/mo for speeds a fraction of what they advertise (even during “bonus hours”) but they lied about the stipulations of transferring service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I paid cash for equipment upfront. $450. First and second month was ok. Extremely slow but only service available in my area. Third month they show I went through 50GB of data in 2 days. I was on the coast on vacation when they decided to charge my account for $585 for 1 month of service stating I bought extra data tokens in that amount while I was gone and nobody at home. Bought a Verizon jetpack and after 1 month I’ve used only 10gb of data... and that is streaming Netflix and working. So I know HughesNet saying I used $585 worth of data in a month is ridiculous, much less 50GB in 2 days. Biggest scam internet company ever. Do NOT waste your time or money.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’ve had Hughes Net for eight months. It’s slow when it’s working. Customer service is just like their product. Slow and unreliable. The $400 they charge you to cancel early due to their service not working is more than worth it. Save yourself the hassle. Stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I wish I would have reviewed this internet service provider before spending a fortune and signing up. Not only is internet slow, but buffering intolerable, downloads almost impossible and resolution is beyond bad! Called in and they switched me to another channel. That helped during the day, but during high traffic times at night it was worse. Called again and wanted to cancel. Can't get money back! Going with Cable One.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I had to get HughesNet because it was the only service where I live (new home) but now they have a new service provided by our electric company. I am switching over because I have only had Hughes for one month. First month ok but now 3 days they said I used up all of my GB. Wow what a rip. Calling them is like talking to dead people. I will gladly pay the penalty fee of 400.00 just to get rid of this piece of crap. People BEWARE. By the way if anybody would like to get together for a class action against them let me know.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have HughesNet because like a lot of others it's the only internet carrier available. How these people get away with charging big $ for crappy service says a lot about American exception in this day and age. Aji's must have stock in this outfit.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Since I got HughesNet last spring, I have had to purchase tokens frequently. Now i am in the 50gb program and I buy 25 gb tokens at a time. finally i decided to investigate how much data i needed. I found out that I should be fine with less than 15 GB a month! I have called to complain and they found out DirecTV is hooked up to the wifi? Oh really? The same tech installed DirecTV and the movies I watch there are not downloaded, so it's all an excuse.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I initially had no issues with the service even though it was an inconvenience. Every time it rains there is no service. It was upon cancellation of our account the issue arose. There is a satellite installed on our roof and a modem along with another gadget in the office. It was explained we would need to return the office gadgets but the satellite will stay on the roof. I am today seeing a surprise charge of $214.00 3 months later. Customer service just explained that is for the radio which is attached to the base of the satellite on your roof. So Hughsnet, wouldn't this be a bit of important information to your customers? What about the elderly and disabled? That is extremely sneaky.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I don't write reviews, but just couldn't stay quiet about HughesNet. HughesNet has nothing to offer but crappy service and excuses. From the tree in your backyard to the clouds in the sky, HughesNet LOVES excuses! We live in Oregon, about 10 minutes outside of Cottage Grove, and "upgraded" to Hughes! We have had nothing but BS from them. We pay $80+ for 25Mbps, and rarely get over 2Mbps. The customer service is at least friendly and based in the USA, but still give all sorts of excuses. I've heard all of it from them, trees blocking the antenna, clouds interfering with their system, software updates, incorrect satellite installation, but nothing ever gets fixed.

I run a YouTube channel, and to download a 20 minute YouTube Red video, you will be waiting for 4-5 hours. Forget video streaming, even Facebook or Instagram! We had a $600 iPad, that was deemed useless due the horrendous speeds! The agreement buyout is $400, and then just go on and on how they'll make it better if you don't cancel. Long story short, HughesNet is a SCAM! They make excuses, BS you, overcharge you, and waste your time and money on their seemingly nonexistent service! Do me a favor, and avoid HughesNet!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We’ve had HN Gen5 since June 2017. It worked great the first few months, but we started noticing around Christmas, that we would run out of data faster than usual, even though we weren’t doing anything differently. We constantly run out of data and we have the highest package. I really believe this is some kind of scam to get the customer to buy tokens. I am highly dissatisfied!!! If I could just abandon them before our contract is up, and not be charged for it, I would definitely do it. I am so tired of not getting what we thought we paid for!!! And, I tell you, after my contract is up, I’m going with Viasat. At least I’ll get what I pay for. I’m warning everyone I know that is thinking about Hughes Net, to run from this company as fast as you can! How can I get out of this without paying more money???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Wow. I wish I would’ve came here first before I talk to the representative. Once they get you on the line they tried to tell you about how great they are. They do this for the military to do that for the military. The guy on the phone said he was from the military using military to get people to sign up. Well once I check the prices after he did a hard credit check on me he told me I could’ve went to the website and checked but then he stuck the knife at me and said, "I just did a hard credit check on you. You could’ve went to the website," because I turned him down. I said, "You’re not saving me any money. You’re costing me more money."

These guys hate rejection. Well do your research because if you’re really desperate for Internet and this might be the place to go but if you’re not cable's the better option. I’ve never had an experience like that before where companies did that to me and told me they did a credit check on me and said I could’ve went to the website. Pure evil. Stay away from our neighborhood Hughes. I’ll be telling my friends and neighbors I was treated to!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

HughesNet continues to state that we use all of our 30GB PLUS 50GB bonus every month. We are seniors, no games, no streaming, why watch a little screen when we have a TV to watch? They did a 2 hour test yesterday and used ALL of our internet for the month in 2 hours! We were told a manager would call last night and of course no one did. They are taking advantage of seniors! We turn the wifi off on phones and iPads at 8 am when the bonus time ends and yet the internet is still all used up. WHY? If you call you get someone that cannot understand English. They should not be in business.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Very slow service. Cannot use more than one device. Charged $79.99 for 20GB on 9/14/18 and was told by Jake in technical support on 9/20/18 that we used it all up already. He suggested we purchase tokens to buy more data. We used 20GB in 4 days and all they have for purchase is 3GB for $9, 5GB for $15, 10GB for $30 and 25 GB for $75. At that rate we would have to purchase at least another 50GB for an additional $150 and that still wouldn’t even give us a month of service. We’ve had this service for 2 months and the penalty for early termination is $370. Also, disconnected by Jake after telling me he would see if he could offer a discount or promo. He was the second rep I spoke to in tech support because the first representative also disconnected me.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

If you liked dial-up you will love HughesNet. The internet is so slow it is basically unusable. Somehow I run out of data on the first day or two even though we do not stream videos, music, or hardly use the internet. I could double my data for just another $70 a month giving me 48 hours of slow internet before it transitions to the spinning wheel of death for everything.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs