Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.62/5
Based on 3,301 ratings submitted in the last year

HughesNet is a leading provider of satellite-based broadband internet service. The company has four package options available and makes it simple for customers to find a service that fits their needs and budget. All plans include built-in Wi-Fi and speeds of at least 25 Mbps, which is considered average.

HughesNet Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

PROS

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

CONS

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Top HughesNet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

This company always gives a 100% when trying to resolve customer's problems. I always receive great customer service! I am always satisfied with the end results. HughesNet has hired the best people in town. I am satisfies with everything.

I have really liked having Hughes Net for my internet. ... They really go out of their way to makes sure that any issues you may have are immediately addressed in a timely manner in order to ensure that their customers are taken care of.

What is HughesNet?

HughesNet has high-speed satellite internet with a 25 Mbps download speed on all plans. HughesNet also offers a “No Data Cap” promise that guarantees customers will receive service at a reduced speed instead of being charged more if they go over their data limits. With its “bonus zone,” customers can use 50 gigabytes of additional data each month during off-peak hours.

Traditional fiber or cable internet services may not be available to people who live in rural areas. However, because HughesNet is a satellite-based company, users all across the nation have access to its plans. According to the company, you can receive its services as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky.

HughesNet pricing

HughesNet offers four packages that start at $49.99 per month. All plans include 25 Mbps download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds, but the plans differ in how much data can be used. With its lack of a hard cap on data, HughesNet does not charge overages for extra data use, but it does significantly throttle service speeds.

Customers can purchase their equipment outright or rent it for about $15 per month during their two-year contract. Customers must pay a $99 activation fee as well.

HughesNet FAQ

How fast is HughesNet?
All HughesNet plans include speeds of 25 Mbps, which is considered average for the industry.
How much is HughesNet?
HughesNet plans start at $49.99 per month.
Is HughesNet compatible with my Windows and Mac operating systems?
HughesNet works with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
What is HughesNet for Business?
HughesNet for Business is a division of HughesNet that offers business-specific internet services. It can be an affordable option for rural businesses that have a hard time getting access to traditional internet services.
Who owns HughesNet?
HughesNet is owned by EchoStar.
Can you work from home with HughesNet?
Yes, you can. With speeds of 25 Mbps, working from home should be fairly straightforward with HughesNet.
Does HughesNet offer TV?
HughesNet offers TV packages through DISH and DirectTV.

Is HughesNet good?

For many rural business owners and families, HughesNet is a very affordable option for internet service. Although its plans are fairly limited in terms of flexibility and options, they’re designed to fit most families’ needs. Some homes that use the internet for more specific uses, such as gaming or HD video streaming, may find that its speeds aren’t ideal, but with its free "bonus zone," customers can download movies and install updates after hours to limit data usage.

HughesNet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: July 18, 2020

The installation and startup was well done and did not take long. The main reason I am trying Hughes Net is that in my area out in the country , I have very little Internet. The speed you provide is excellent, but performance is substandard. I can perform all my email and business function liked they should be performed. But one of the main reasons I purchased was that I want to stream movies and shows, plus use Zoom to talk with my grandchildren that I am not allowed to travel to visit. I wanted to stream Disney+ , but always buffers. I finally gave up and talked to Tech Services, so they made some adjustments.

They advised me they have trouble streaming Disney+, Netflix, and few others. They said that Hughes is working on the problem. Why didn't Hughes list that on system explanations. I needed that to make my purchasing decision. After monitoring the system speeds I found many times during the day I can not use the internet because there is no signal for about 30 seconds. I always thought that the signal would be constant. The end result is that I can live with the system because it is much better than Verizon.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Talked with a Hughesnet Tech Eddie A. about the system buffering while streaming. We had just got the system set up the night before and the family was very excited to see the results of this high speed service. We stream a lot of Netflix and Prime shows and movies. We sat down to watch something and we kept getting long pauses of buffering. It was worse than our 1.3 mbps Centurylink that we have been using for the last 13yrs. The tech gave us a few things to try and he was helpful. It is still early to tell if it is going to be a good fit for us.

The speeds are great for surfing the internet, but not for streaming videos and movies. I wish I was told that before I bought the $400.00 plus dollars worth of equipment (Didn't want to lease the equipment). I don't know if it will work very well for Google classroom and the online college class my wife is taking? I ran several speed test and it was a steady 20-23 mbps. It would seem that a video would run smooth with those speeds? We are not running anything Hi Def. We also turned the resolution down on Netflix. Hoping we can make a few adjustments and get the streaming steady.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I subscribed to Hughesnet after having problems that could not be fixed with my original ISP (AT&T), after subscribing to this I love it. The very short delay from the modem to the satellite is not an issue and seem to be very fast and reliable, the only issue I see is when we have a really bad storm in the area it sometimes cuts out, just like Directv does which is no big deal for me since it is short lived here where I live in Florida.

I have read several bad remarks/comments about this service but I have not many any issues with it and the Technical support people if you do have an issue or question is very helpful... If you want a great internet by satellite service, Hughesnet is for you... Don't believe all the bad comments that you hear, some people will say anything to bring down a successful company. Our Florida Lottery is ran by Hughesnet and they have great service so I thought i would give it a try as well... sure glad I did and you will too.

Original review: April 17, 2020

The Hughesnet Agent(s) were there to help me, and not to pass the issue by without trying to do a resolving of the problem that I was presenting. Ashley of Az. patiently listened, evaluated, and asked the right questions of me and then her Tier 3 Agent to resolve the lack of connectivity between my desktop iMac and my HP printer/scanner. My needs were met by Ashley as we looked and as she listened. We looked at the many possibilities of what was not working right. She quickly decided that it was the printer, because HughesNet service was working as expected with the home security base unit that that is connected to my iPad and to my computer; with no issues of wireless connectivity to the iPad.

The next steps were to see about reconnecting the wireless connection by going to the wireless icon on my HP Printer/Scanner. The whole process took awhile, because I am not familiar with all of the aspects of what could be the problem. I am not a young person who grew up with a computer and today's technology. The same wireless that was working yesterday, was not working today. The Tier 3 Agent suggested to Ashley that we should go to the HP Wireless Wizard to set up a wireless connection. We first tried a new wireless connection, which did not work. It is one of two wireless connections that I am using on my iPad. Ashley suggested that we now should go back and try the wireless connection that had not been working all day, by using the Wireless Wizard, again. That was the answer and the HP printer/scanner did an overview scan of what had been on my computer all day long to scan.

Finally, the connection was re-established with the previous wireless connection that had refused all day to kick into gear. I had tried turning on and off the computer and printer several times, checking the wires for solid connection, and resetting the modem all several times before calling Hughesnet. All of that had to be explained and it takes time. Many Thanks to Hughesnet and their great Agents!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Behind on bill. Your staff were so helpful to me. They helped me in ways that I didn't even know your company did. They credited part of my payment and made arrangements for me to pay the rest on payday. And turned my service back on. I felt like I was giving a Christmas present. The month of October I had a knee replacement and then 25 days in inpatient therapy. My account was used fraudulently used. I lost $3600.00 in less than a month. It turned out a account I had to keep a watch on my credit has insurance for this. So I am looking forward to see if it truly works.

I just know it's given me a little light at the end of a very long tunnel. Part of that was for new tires, I sure hope it comes soon. Took me eight months to save that much. I am praying. Again your employees were Fantastic and I cried when I got off the phone. Was a really nice thing for your company to do, ever. Thanks Kathryn **

Original review: July 28, 2020

This Company is so bad it's not even funny. After being on hold and being transferred multiple times and speaking with several customer services reps located in Tawain or India? I was told other someone would call me back to schedule an appointment. Well. I finally got an appointment for install. The tech came out and kept complaining about he has wasted his time because there were too many trees. He never attempted to climb a ladder to see if it could be placed at an higher angle. I had a tree guy come out who also happens to be an installer for satellites and said all he had to do was take it up higher away from that area.

I call to schedule another install date, which they texted me the day and time. No one showed up. I called the company to see what happened, after being transferred three different times and finally they said someone would call me back to reset another appointment. No one ever called back. Please try Viasat or try a MOFI4500 Wireless Router with Limitless Data if you are in a rural area. I will never recommend anyone to this poorly managed company. Plus They don't tell you that your speeds get really slow after watching a few movies, which I witness first hand at a friend's place that has this service. She can't wait to get out of the contract. Buyer Beware.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I received excellent professional service. During our conversation your representative was courteous, listened patiently and provided informative and helpful answers. He did not talk over me, or make me feel pressured or rushed. He explained my plan and how it compares to other plans offered by Hughes Net.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have made multiple calls to get my issues resolved and no one was willing or able to help me. I even spent 4 hours today between online chat (Rosaline ** ID #**) and Faith on the 800 number and finally had to elect to cancel my service because no one would help out. I simply wanted to schedule a service call but they refused to do that too. Rosalie told me she would schedule a call but it was going to cost me $125 which is completely unacceptable when the issues are related to their equipment. This is probably one of the single worst customer service experiences that I have EVER had and will be taking my business elsewhere. I would rather go without internet than have to deal with these people.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Very weak signal! Asked for help and we get cut off and no return of call. I am frustrated my phone won’t even work so can’t talk to Doctors or service for HughesNet. I am told they will get back and it never happens.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Once in a while there seems to be a little overlap with the date due and the date a bill is generated so we pay then get a bill showing we owe two months. The first time I was kind of upset about it but the rep was nice and took care of it. This was the 3rd time within a year, kind of figured it would just work itself out and not to worry but I did call and a different rep once again provided just perfect customer service, really nice, and that goes a long way with a customer, in fact it's in the top 3 for getting a customer to stay long term. I have been so irritated with a company or two over poor service that I left them, permanently, but we are sticking with Hughes Net for as long as it works for us.

HughesNet Company Information