1.13/5
Based on 515 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2751 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Our internet services is the slowest of what we have EVER had!!! We have had it over a year now and will NOT renew services when our 2 years is up!! They stated very fast internet and it is not what they said!!! I called last year and stated would cost over $100 upfront to have service come out and I said, "Forget that!!" Not happy at all!!! My grandkids tried to watch a movie in Netflix and keep reloading so didn't even watch it!! Very slow to watch a video etc... Not happy with this company at all and wouldn't recommend them to anyone... My son has the same and very unhappy with the speed also!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Please anyone that reads this DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! They are a complete scam! I had my service installed in July and it never worked from day 1. I called and complained and was told by the most ignorant/rude human being that I cannot cancel and they would charge me if I did cancel. They took money out of my account without my authorization. The guy who installed my system came in his own mini-van and brought his child to my property. (That should have been a red flag right there). I was told by tech support that my system was "out of line" and needed to be adjusted in the dish and that's why it wasn't working - they still continued to say I had no grounds to cancel. Tech support didn't even know what to tell me to do to troubleshoot. They are a bunch of scammers and someone needs to stop them. I am contacting an attorney! The worst, unprofessional company I ever dealt with!!!! Fraud!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

They lie and misrepresent this product. When I called for information I was told by representative Joe that If I signed up for the service on 8/14/18 that I would not be charged until 8/20/18 after installation of the equipment. I was uncertain about the $400.00 cancellation fee and was told by Joe that I could cancel the install with no charge before the install. I was charged the full $163.00 fee on 8/14/18 instead. When I saw the charge on my account I called to cancel and reverse the fee. I was told It would take seven days to reverse the charge. It took them 1 day to charge me illegally!! I insisted that they reverse it immediately and was hung up on. Don't trust this company!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

This is beyond a double the worst possible service you could ever get hooked up with. Any time there is a problem you end up talking to someone in a some offshore call center. If anything is going to get fixed, there is a charge for the service call or they want to upgrade you to another service with another 24 month contract. When you finally have enough, there is a cancellation fee and you have to climb on the roof to retrieve their radio transmitter to send it back. The dish... well that's your problem to get rid of. They don't want it back. Fix the holes in your roof... your problem as well. What a rip-off outfit. The service is horrible and overpriced.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

This is the worst satellite service I have ever had. It is slow and overpriced. When I called they said all my data was used for this month and will not reset until the 30th. It is only the 12th in this month. They also said my data is being used for iPhone. That still does not make sense to me. I have turned off the WiFi for the iPhone and it is still slow. Then they offered to upgrade my data at a higher fee. Then they upgraded to 50 gigs for 6 months for the price I am paying now and it's still slow. I hate this satellite company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Hughesnet.com is the only internet service that was available when we bought our home in the mountains of rural northern California. We have been using this service for 8 years until we found a service with unlimited data. We've had issues with running out of data constantly! There is no such thing as streaming movies or music when using HughesNet. There is just not enough data. Period! I hate to think of all the money I spent buying tokens over the years because we ran out of data every month. My husband and I are the only users of data and we only go online to read email or access Facebook. We still would run out every month.

So we finally went with another service, unlimited data, for about the same price. I called HughesNet and told them to discontinue our service. They told me that it would be a $220 ETF. After 8 years! Apparently on June 30, 2017 we had a new box installed because the old one was faulty. We were told that it was Gen 5, but because we needed a new box, it would not count as a new contract. Of course we believed the lying technician. He probably got a nice commission too! So we are breaking a contract. After 8 years, we get charged $220. I warn everyone, steer clear of this business, they are dishonest and will cheat you out of your last dime! After reading other reviews, I feel that we got off light, as HughesNet only stole $220 of our disability income.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Horrible! We have only had the service for under two weeks and nothing with it works. We cannot stream a movie on Netflix, cannot browse the Internet, cannot use anything with this horrible Internet service. Maybe that’s why they lock you into a two-year contract so that once you realize it is crap there’s nothing you can do about it but pay their company more money. Spent countless hours on the phone with them already and nothing has been fixed. They keep claiming it’s the fastest Internet every time I speak to them and it clearly is not.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

When I called on Wednesday 8-8-18, they said it would cost me $300 estimate to fix our internet that hasn't even been used for a year. Btw there's NO warranty on RENTED equipment. So they said, "Sign up for our service agreement and it will only cost $19.95 per month and after the repairs you can cancel it next month." Sounds reasonable to me!! So they gave me a case # **. I waited for the call to schedule repairs and didn't receive it over 24 hours. So I called again and they said "no service contractor had been assigned to my repairs."

They said they would make a note on my account and issued me another case #. Still haven't heard from them, So I called, again today and NOW they don't have my service agreement added to my account, and billing is closed and they offered to set me up with an appointment for repair with NO SERVICE agreement, which will cost me the original $300.00!! WTF??? I DO NOT understand why a company that big can't get their ** together!! As I read all their bad reviews, I TRULY wish they weren't the only internet service I had to choose from... Oh wait THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE SUCH CRAPPY SERVICE and EQUIPMENT that won't last a year! So their story is: "when you have no choice they don't care enough provide a good quality service. Shame on Hughes Net!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We are in the process of switching internet providers and we were told to check out HughesNet. Well, I called first and got a rate of 49.99/month and was promised no installation fees and the whole nine, except, actually installation will cost a total of 153.98 at time of agreement. This service rep was named, Jordan. She got me hooked with the 49.99 and then I did challenge her about all the other fees and whatnot attached. The call ended in frustration on my end and told her I was not signing on until I check other rates.

After checking others, I called back and got a service agent, Kiley. I wanted to ask more questions and really compare what I had been checking all afternoon. She gave me a different rate of 64.98/month. Same installation fees. I then challenged her with what the previous agent had said to me. Her words exactly to me were, "Well that's wrong and that other person straight up lied to your face then because this is the only offer in your area". I then started to say I was not prepared to make a commitment and she hung up on me.

I wish it ended there, but, it doesn't. I called back because I was angry at this point and wanted to speak to a manager. Kiley answered my call again, and I demanded to speak w/ a manager and she hung up AGAIN. Last time I called, I spoke with a Tiffany, and she got me in touch with a manager. Well, the manager was JUST AS UNPROFESSIONAL AND RUDE! I tried several times to explain myself and he kept interrupting me and then told me I WAS WRONG WITH EVERYTHING and he was going to do nothing for me because I was not an official customer. He also said, "Well I don't believe that you have any other option for internet or you wouldn't have called us 3 times today and inquired this much". At this point it was NOT because I wanted to sign on, it was to file a complaint.

Needless to say, we are not nor will we EVER go with this company and I hope this review helps others realize that this is an awful company and the customer service is just terrible and unprofessional. I was not even a customer and so I would have assumed that they would give bells and whistles to shine as to why we should go with them, well they didn't and they lost out on a customer. Hopefully through this review they lose more customers or potential customers. Terrible service, terrible customer relations, and terrible prices for what apparently you get according to all previous reviews. Save your time and your money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We've experienced slow speed and low pings from day 1. We contacted them in February and phone tech support said it wasn't even set in the right direction from the installer. He programmed it over the phone on the computer. Next week we had same problem. Called again and tech came out. Still no better. They have no knowledge on how to fix anything over the phone or in person. I've cancelled service and being charged $280 for cancelling early. We wouldn't cancel early if they knew how to do their jobs right the first time. It's if like they need to change positions all the time. We don't have time after working 7 days a week to come home every day to this. And we shouldn't have to call them all the time. Very frustrating and can't afford the fee but weighing the odds of being frustrated I canceled. If they cared about the consumer they wouldn't charge fees of cancellation for bad service. Wonder if they would like slow service on their own jobs every day!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I am using Hughes Internet service for 3 months and the service is horrible. When you use Gen5 fast service, it runs out in about 3 days. It is supposed to drop from 1 to 3 megs after your fast time for the rest of the month. It drops to .4 or .5 thereafter, but 1 to 3 is advertised. They gave me no explanation and just did not care when I cancelled the service. I also was dealing with the Philippines on all conversations. Their advertising is false and their service is poor. They offer high speed from 2 to 8 AM but do not show any way to download in advance of those hours. The 2 year period they lock you in will be invalid because they did not provide the serviced advertised.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We contracted with HughesNet to install on our second home. They were to arrive on a Saturday. The installer called at the end of the install window and stated he would not be able to make it until Sunday. We explained it was a weekend home and we would be gone. We requested the order be put on hold and we would call for install the next time we were in the home. The following week when we called back for install we were informed the installer did not put the order on hold but canceled the order. This meant we had to open a new account. It was a new month and the prior promotion had ended. Of course, that would not be a problem. Surely, because it was not us that canceled the order but the technician against our direct wishes, Hughesnet would honor the previous contractual agreement we entered into.

Wrong. They refused to honor the agreement of the just over a week ago even though they fully acknowledged it was the technician, not us, who canceled the order. The total increase in price over the 24-month contract would be $220. I stated that we had a contract. I agreed to use Hughesnet for 24-months and they agreed to provide install and service at a specific price. They refused to honor the contract. This is dishonest. It is also hypocrisy. Hughesnet expects a customer to honor a contract. They do not hold themselves to the same standard. I stated on the phone I was going to a competitor. This did not seem to concern them. Do not do business with Hughesnet. They are dishonest and do not value a customer's business.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

First off let me explain that I live in a rural area where the ONLY option for internet is satellite or hotspot. The hotspot worked very well but it only comes with a 10G data limit at 4G and then drops to 3G which is useless for everything but basic email and some web surfing. Satellite is only marginally better but it still comes with a data cap of 50G a month and the advertised speeds is a straight up falsehood. My wife monitors our data rate a few times every day and there are many times that we get less than 1MB/s download speeds. If we are lucky we might get around 15MB/s download speed. My wife and I live on the Internet playing MMOs and streaming movies (well we used to). 50G a month is a joke.

We used to have Amazon Prime to stream movies but the cap and the slow speeds makes it useless. Even watching YouTube is a joke with the buffering. I was going to an online school that used virtual labs over an internet connection. It literally took me 2 hours to do a 30 minute lab because of the lag. Hughesnet is the WORST internet service I have ever had. It is also the most expensive internet I have ever had. Anytime there is weather, the internet goes down. Just this morning it's been yo-yo-ing up and down due to weather. I never had this problem with cable. As I am writing this review, it has gone down 3 times. I normally don't write reviews because I know Hughesnet doesn't give two squats about what their customers think but if I can get others to not use their service, it will be a good thing. If I ever have the opportunity for a better internet option, I will not think twice about dumping Hughesnet. If I could rate them less than one star I would.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have never put a review online. My experience with Hughes Net has me so frustrated that I am bothering to do this review. I hope I can save another person my hassles OR that Hughes will change their practices. Disclosure on internet use: I check email and look up things online and watch Netflix 1-2 times weekly. That's it. This is not a company with integrity. They do not stand behind their product.

My internet has either never worked well or simply not worked at all after 3 mos now August 2018. No one has been able to determine why. When it did work it was strangely slow or nonexistent in some rooms (house 2,800 sq ft); online speed tests I tried multi times showed huge speed changes 1 min to the next. Usually, it took 3-4 mins to load any page, sometimes they would never load -- even if I stood next to the modem; any Netflix movie I watched stopped and loaded at least 5x/hr or disconnected.

I have called a total of 9 times now in 3 mos. Agents had me "troubleshoot" multi times but nothing could be ID'd so they sent a service agent out and replaced my modem after 6 weeks. The same problems continued. I continued to call. They reimbursed me a month of fees acknowledging they could see from their data records there were gaps of no service. They set up another service visit. After 2 mos in and 2 mos of problems with multi attempts made to fix the service, I opted to cancel the internet. They told me I would be charged $350 because of a 2 yr contract. I explained the service never worked and that I should be able to cancel given all the failures I'd encountered. I pointed to my multi calls and "troubleshooting" sessions with multi-agents. They refused to cancel the contract.

I specifically asked how many problems I would have to encounter in order to get out of the contract. They then claimed, "it was my expectations" that were the issue --yes they said that-- AND THAT SLOW SERVICE (which they kept focusing on instead of all the times the net was truly not working) WAS STILL WITHIN THE NORMAL CONTRACT. I am not kidding. If you sign up with Hughes Net and the service is slow or doesn't reach throughout your home, too bad, but it is not a good enough reason to cancel the contract. How does this exist in the US?

Truth is I cancelled my prior CenturyLink DSL service after 4 years and switched to Hughes Net because I was tired of fee hikes and excited to try satellite. I'm not super tech savvy but this satellite service is actually much slower. I now have CenturyLink running again and have NONE of the problems I have with Hughes Net. I am using the same computer and tv.

To add insult to injury: When I signed up for Hughes Net I explicitly asked SEVERAL times, "are you sure there are no hidden fees beyond the monthly 49.99?" I was assured there were no hidden fees. Lie. There is a 10.00/month modem rental fee. My bill each month is around $73. When it does work it is not just a little slow -- it is REALLY slow compared to my DSL CenturyLink service. I now have both of them running. Bummer.

They also did not always make notes about my calls. One call I made was 30mins+ and the agent was able to do something remotely that got me back online. Next day I was offline again and called back (this was becoming a regular occurrence). They looked and looked and there was no record of my call the day prior. By this time, say call 7 to them, I was pretty frustrated and so began asking them to make notations on my account each call.

Today August 6, 2018 I called and there were none of the comments I had asked them to include in my case. They want me to have ANOTHER service call to my home again to see if hardware can be fixed. I guess they provide much needed rural services in some places. With many options in Salt Lake City, I urge you to think twice about this company. They aren't standing behind their product.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I had HughesNet for my internet service for 7 years. When I called to cancel my service I was treated poorly and found out things I didn’t even know about the company. I moved to a new address last year and canceled my HughesNet for that address and had it restarted at my new address. They never changed my address or my email. Now they charged me a disconnect charge of $280 to disconnect stating I had a contract for 4 years which I know to be untrue. I might have signed on for a year but I would never had done so for any longer than that. This company didn’t do anything correctly. My information was wrong on all accounts. They told me it would cost $49.99 a month and charged me 69.99 instead.

They also said I had Gen5 service and I could only hook up to the Gen2 service. Also when I asked for a receipt for my disconnect bill that I already paid for they said they couldn’t send me a receipt to my correct address which they did not correct a year ago. I had no contract for more than a year and I have no paperwork proving that. They then took $280 out of my account without approval from me. The only thing I agreed to was taking the payment out monthly for $70. I expected a bill in the mail but they can’t do that either as they refuse to correct my address. I would never use this company again and I mean never. Overcharged and all the wrong information. They are a terrible customer service company and should be shut down!!! Thank you for your time.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Called HughesNet 5-27-18 & equipment was installed 6-12-18. I knew in a few days this was not for me and too expensive ($80 a month). I called 6-18-18 and was treated with much anger. Was told if I wanted the very large amount of equipment off the roof get up and move it myself. I am 82 years old. Further, the equipment (modem, router, etc) must be returned in the box they provide which will be shipped 7-10 days. That was a month ago and it arrived 8-2-18. I am told this equipment had to be in their hands by 7-28-18. They also took $400 from my bank account. Cannot call them because I have been blocked at every phone number I call. What to do?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was told by their representative that Hughes Net Gen 5 was the go to for those living outside the city of Buffalo, Mo. That their coverage was reliable, and that it would meet the needs of what we described as our usage. That would be: 2 smart TV's, 2 laptops, 2 iPads, and 2 smartphones. The truth of the matter is that we ran out of data within 10 days, streaming movies and playing music on Youtube is impossible. Having this company as a provider is much like having dial up networking... And when you contact them, they promise that they will look into our issues, and have never returned our calls. When we contact them, we are told that at the end of the month we should see some resolution. Well, the month has come and gone, and alas... no resolution. We live 1 mile outside of our community, and our ability to get decent internet service is nil. And Hughes Net is not even close.

Updated on 08/15/2018: We recently moved to a small community in Missouri and requested Hughes Net to provide us with internet coverage. This was the last week of June, 2018. For a two year contract, they hooked us up with Hughes Net Gen5, and we were told that we would be able to stream movies and music and that they would provide enough power to be able to do this at 25mbps. On the first day of using their internet, everything we attempted to do was buffering...web search, sending emails...even the simplest task buffered. When we called they told us to give it a day so that it could set itself. It didn't help, so we called again to tell them that it wasn't working. They told us they would send someone out to check on it. A week later, no one had come, so we called again. The agent told us that the person we needed to talk to was not available and that he would have them call us.

He never called, so we called again...and again...and again...with no resolution to the problem. They finally called back and they couldn't help either. At no time has this ever done what they said it would do. So, finally, we called yesterday and told them that we wanted to cancel their services because they did not fulfill their contract by providing us with what they told us they would provide. We were then told that the 25 mbps that they said we would get was actually 16, and since we had gotten online, it was considered functional...(even though we could not use it for anything other than reading our email, and with much buffering...doing web searches).

Therefore, in order to cancel this 2 year contract, we had to pay them $400, plus any incurred expenses during the removal of said equipment. We told them that we did not believe that was justified because they were the ones that defaulted on their side of the contract; thus forcing us to find something that would work. We were told that they would send us a bill for what we owed them. I am sure the $400 will be on it.

When doing business with a company, it is my understanding that the expectation of both parties is that one party provides a service and the other party uses that service. Before we signed up, we asked if we could stream movies and music with the limit that we purchased and were told that indeed we certainly could. What we were not told that it would only be for a day and then the power would be dropped down to 1.6 mbps. You would thank that they would be held accountable for falsifying their advertising and unethical business practices.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We moved recently to an area without Cell coverage, Cable, DSL, or any other type of internet provider except satellite. I guess I can blame myself a bit because at the time I was only aware of Hughes Net and when doing a Google search (prior to moving) only Hughes came up in the top results. Regardless though, we finally got the service hooked up (from the installer) and realized that the speed was much slower than we were lead to believe. When we ordered we were very explicit that we would be streaming (via Roku) TV. After the installer left (he said it would take a couple of hours for the service to settle into a "good speed") we waited the suggested 2-3hrs and tried to use PS VUE via Roku (our choice for streaming tv) and quite frankly it just wouldn't work - it would play for between 5-20 seconds then buffer for about a minute then play for another 5-20 seconds.

This would continue for the entire time we "tried to watch" a program - the on/buffer was so annoying you really couldn't watch, much less enjoy any show. Called tech support to report the issue (I still hadn't done a speed check at that time). After struggling through the maze they call the phone system I waited for close to an hour before I actually talked to someone. This tech told me they were going to log into my system and perform some tests and please hold - I held - finally my phone disconnected. Did I say earlier that there isnt any cell service here, well there isn't so we opted to get our phone service through Hughes too. Called back to Hughes tech support again, struggled through the phone system and waited for another 45 minutes before another person answered. I explained the issue (again) and once again the person put me on hold to check the system - phone disconnects again (starting to be a normal thing).

I called back again and this time 30-45 minutes later was talking to a tech. I pleaded with the tech not to hang up on me again - which I'm sure put him in an awkward spot not knowing what I was talking about. I explained to him everything that was going on and how every time tech put me on hold I was disconnected. I also told him if he could to please call me back on the Hughes landline # they gave me earlier that day (from the installer), he said he would. Got disconnected again, waited 30 mins and called back to tech since nobody called back. Talked to #4 explained everything again, it appeared this guy had it together - well sort of - he figured out that I was being disconnected because the other techs kept rebooting the modem - fee no modem, no phone. The solution by this tech will seem quite appropriate - not - the solution was to call back on my cellphone or a different phone that wasn't going through Hughes Net.

Did I mention earlier there is absolutely NO service here? I was a bit shocked - let's see, most people would spend an additional $30 -40/month to have a second land line, right? - I explained again to him that my cell doesn't work (it's 25+ miles from any reception @ the house) and the only landline I have is through Hughes. He still couldn't understand (or comprehend) that there are actually places like this in the US and again told me to fix the problem I would have to call them back on a different line that wasn't going through the satellite. Are you scratching your head yet, I was! Then before I could say anything else he said goodbye and hung up. By this time I think I was quite unhappy (maybe even really pissed off). I decided to call his bluff, so I got in the car, drove over 25 miles to get reception on my cell and called tech. To my absolute surprise, they told me they couldn't help me unless I was in front of the modem, go figure ;).

After explaining WHY I called being 25+ miles away from the modem, the tech actually started laughing uncontrollably, which was actually a relief to me. He actually apologized for laughing, but also realized that I knew they couldn't help if I wasn't there, but...we spoke for several minutes 15-20 I think. And he said he put several things into my service record so that even the first line people could understand NOT to reboot the modem without getting my phone # and to make sure they called me back after the modem was finished rebooting - he told me in the record, all the previous techs stated "customer hung up" in the log. On a positive note, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this part doesn't end up on some tech blog of craziest cases.

So I'm sure you now think everything is okay, nope. Tier 3 (or advanced tech) called back a day or so later to try & fix the problem, asked me to go to testmy.net, use manual download @ 25mb, do this 3 times so they would have an average: 1mbit, 375K, 350K - gee, not quite the (up to) 20Mbit they boast of, or told me when we first ordered it. Tech jumped into modem said they were seeing 12-15mbit d/l speeds, I tried again, same parameters, 450K, 300K, 125K - Smoking internet (I would've loved to had that speed when the bbs's of the 80's had us use 300 baud - not K - or even all the way up to the blazing 56K a couple of years later, but not now when I'm paying for (up to) 20Mbits ;)). I don't think tech believed me so they sent out the installer again.

The installer couldn't find anything wrong with the install - but saw speed was slow - so he said he would update my record and tech would call me. Tech called a couple days later. Couldn't find anything on their side so elevated to engineering - I asked if it could be the modem since it showed good on their side, but was told that those modems don't go bad. A week later, engineering called, we went through the obligatory speed tests (best speed was 1Mbit) and engineer decided it must be the modem (duh, why didn't I think of that) and that the installer would be back to put it in. After some discussion we decided to have "everything from the ground up replaced, just in case- by the way, did I say earlier the installer comes out of a different state? The contracted company is out of MO about 1 1/2 hours away).

Different installer came back replaced everything except the post and the metal shield looking part of the system. Let everything come back up and still nothing more than 3Mbit - relief, they can't call me a liar again. He (installer) called his "special tech #" and luckily got someone from engineering who decided to change the satellite I was using, this of course required turning off the modem - recall earlier about phone, cell & otherwise. When installer changed satellite there wasn't any change in speeds, when he called tech back he wasn't as lucky and after about 20 minutes he got off the phone and said "you are going to hate me for what I have to tell you". He went on to say he couldn't do anything else, tech elevated the matter up to engineering again.

I couldn't get angry with the installer and he did have me sign something that specifically stated that the problem wasn't fixed. Engineering or tech called back a week later saying they fixed the problem. I did the obligatory speed tests and it showed 12-15Mbits d/l, how about that! I told tech NOT to close out the ticket because I needed to make sure it wasn't temporary and I wanted to do speed tests for a day or two to see how consistent it was. It wasn't, next morning was back to <1Mbit. Called Hughes Net to cancel service and get reimbursed for two months of service I couldnt use. Was told I couldn't get out of contract because tech states everything was working fine and a $640 early termination fee would be assessed. I couldnt believe this, I'd already paid over $200 in monthly fees for a service I couldnt use, plus I had to pay another $640 (or $100+ recurring payments) for a service that doesn't work!

Needless to say, that made me quite pissed and I told the idiot that on the other end of the phone - he promptly hung up on me. Fast forward to the end of month 2 of this lovely internet & landline "service", as much as I was dreading calling them back, the wife forced me to call again. Prior to calling & just a day or so after the last call above, we unplugged the modem & totally disconnected the Hughes system and had the local phone company run copper to our property for a real landline (closest box was ~1/2 mile) - not cheap, but at least we could call during an emergency. We checked sat phones, but the upfront and service price was just way too much. Called Tech - only had to wait 30 minutes before I spoke to someone. The tech listened and researched the issue and said essentially the same thing the last person said - I did NOT get angry this time - wife was quite impressed because she was getting really pissed.

Instead of yelling, I carefully and calmly restated my case, he said he would check with supervisor. Ten minutes later he said nothing could be done & I'd owe $640 if I cancelled the service. I once again, calmly requested to speak with the supervisor. The tech put me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back on saying that his supervisor would be right with me and that she was just finishing up with someone else. Time passed - literally 30+ minutes passed when the supervisor came on - maybe they were hoping I'd hang up, but I remained calm (believe me I really could've used some ** or similar, but alas nothing was available). She asked what she could do so I explained that I really felt that I shouldn't have to pay an early termination fee, and I actually should be reimbursed for the two months of "non-service".

She looked at my account and said it must be working okay, that I'd used almost 20Gb of data in the first 2 days of my billing cycle - really, hmmm, did I say earlier I disconnected the system? When I brought this up she looked deeper and said that in fact she could see when I disconnected and that everything was downloaded between 4 & 8pm the day I was on the phone with tech. Well, that's convenient that would be a bit less than 10Mb/s running the entire time I was speaking with tech. I told her this and even she thought that wasn't right - chalk one up for the good guys! - then she said on another day we downloaded another 5gb (turns out that was a day we weren't home & had proof). Now I'm up two! She said she couldn't jump into my modem - didn't I say I had disconnected the system?

She wanted me to hook everything back up and was blaming the data use on everything from a neighbor using our system (not hardly, our closest neighbor is a mile away, my wifi is good, but not that good!) to our cell phones, to our dish network system downloading movies (the Dish network isnt hooked up to internet because it was so slow - she didn't believe me). I told her I'd hook everything back up and she said she would call me back in 30 minutes to 2 hours. She did call back in about 45 minutes and was surprised that nothing was hooked up to the modem. I told her I checked the speed when it finished booting up and it averaged under 1Mbs - I think she finally realized I wasnt trying to cancel the service due to "buyers remorse" but because the system just wasn't working.

She said she could waive the early termination fee ($240) on the landline (since she could verify I wasn't using their voip) but didn't have the authority to waive the early termination fee of $400 on the internet. I told her (calmly) I appreciated her waiving the one fee, but it seemed as if I should be getting a refund for the last two months - she put me on hold and came back saying the max she could waive was $200. Long(er) story short(er) it's costing me $200 to cancel the service without getting reimbursed for the 2 months of "service" I had. I do applaud the efforts of this supervisor, but it really shows what Hughes Net is really all about - sucker you in with promises and do their best to charge you outrageous early termination fees so you will stick with a system that really doesn't work.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was lied to when I signed up for service. I was told it would be no problem to stream all that we stream. I told the associate on the phone that we rely on our Internet. We work from home. We homeschool. We stream our entertainment via Internet. She said that would not be a problem, but we may run out of data 2 or 3 days before the end of the cycle. LIE. We run out of data within 10. That's right. TEN HOURS. 10 HOURS! So, I am paying double what I was paying for 99% less service. I have been trying to watch a single episode of a television show on Hulu. This is a 45 minute show. It is now going on over THREE hours to get through because of all the buffering. I am getting the run-around and told I have to pay $400 to get out of the contract. They are NOT providing the service they promised. I was lied to when we set this up. I want out of this contract without having to pay another blasted cent.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I work from home and this is achieved via the internet. I rely on my internet service to earn my income and it has to be reliable. I work early morning hours 4am to noon, so it is not during peak hours. My internet went out on 07/15/2018 and I called. After a very painful call that was over an hour in length, I was told that there was a weather issue in Duluth, Mn. I have relatives in the neck of the woods and it was clear that day so I was lied to and I was told that the service was down and to call the following day if I did not have service. I called multiple times on 07/16/2018, 07/17/2018, 07/18/2018 and 07/19/2018 only to get through the prompts and then to get a recording that stated that the service that I was trying to reach was not currently available and to call back later.

Due to the fact that I needed to be able to work and not being able to get service from HughesNet, I got another ISP installed. I disconnected the HughesNet modem on the 20th and had to shut my Debit card down to keep them from charging me for services that I did not receive and could not get repaired. It was them or my job! They are now wanting to charge me for an early disconnect fee. I am not willing to pay that fee. They have not provided service or customer care. I have had continual issues with slow speed and loss of service. I have documented the speeds and the issues I have had along with the times that I have tried to call and get the system brought back up to speed with no results. They just tell you something that is not true in an effort to buy time to try to get the speed up. They are not reliable and their customer service is non-existent.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We cancelled our service after moving, paid the final bill and returned the equipment as described in the box received from HughesNet. 2 months later we are charged $213.75. I call customer service and the representative tells me that I HAVE TO CLIMB ON THE ROOF, at 8 months pregnant and take down a radio transmitter on the satellite dish. My husband called back and told them we did not have a radio transmitter as per THEIR equipment list, we only had the new model modem that doesn't require the radio transmitter.

They told us a refund would be issued in 3-5 business days. 10 business days later, still no refund. Now they are telling us we have to provide a tracking number for the radio transmitter, even though we never had one, and secondly, we used THEIR shipping label to return the package. They should have the tracking number on file. They are now refusing to refund our money that they have STOLEN and are going to charge us again on August 19th. This company is ridiculous.

Original review: July 31, 2018

They oversell their product. It is very slow at night to the point that we can't stream movies. I can't even work from home because it is so slow if I'm doing anything more than Word or Excel. I had a tech come out to see if he could improve service. He couldn't but he tried to upsell me to HughesNet 5. Online service help is even worse. I would give them 0 stars if that was an option. DON'T USE HUGHES NET!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Internet service was the worst I have EVER had in our location, decided to pay the $$$ to cancel my service; they ended up taking out MORE than they were supposed to then I was told they would refund the difference once I gave them tracking number on the returned equipment... LIE, was just told that a refund would be started once they RECEIVE equipment. I told them they needed to get their lies straight before talking to customers. I'm sure that once they do get stuff back will take another month before I am refunded what is owed. I would not recommend this service to anyone!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Ever since I changed my plan I've had rotten service at night & in the late afternoon, I was getting over 100 on my signal strength at night & in the late afternoon. No more it goes into the low 90s & lower, it's affecting other things. I have nothing but problems in this time period, funny in the morning hours I got as high as 115 signal strength it's down to 100 now, it affects what I look, they screwed me like other customers. I call their so called tech support. I get people I can't half understand, HughesNet needs to be shut down for what they are total scam artists. It's a waste of your money. They rip people off & need to be shut down by the US government if we have that in this country. Enough is enough. Put a class action lawsuit in against HughesNet & put these lying jerks out of business once & for all.

Original review: July 28, 2018

HughesNet is the most terrible Internet service I have ever had. Since the first day it's been slow. I called 2 weeks later to report how sorry the service has been, then a representative tells me to upgrade. I'm already paying $59.99 a month to upgrade to a better internet. Means that would be too much money for me. So called at the end of first month to cancel my account. That's when they hit me with early termination fee of $400. I'm going to call the Better Business Bureau about this.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I would like to start off by saying if you have no high speed internet options in your area, Hughes Net isn't the absolute worst service you can get. However, their customer service is. I recently moved to an area where Spectrum, AT&T and Verizon didn't currently service. As far as the service goes, it was decent. The connection wasn't the most reliable, but when it comes to satellite internet, it comes with the territory. The speed was as advertised, although we did experience many issues with trying to watch things such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video etc. My biggest complaint was the customer service.

When Spectrum did show up at our newly purchased home less than 30 days after we moved in, (after they told us we had to wait until May 2020 to get high speed internet in our area), I called Hughes Net to cancel my service. I explained to them that we only went with them because we didn't have a high speed internet provider in the area, and that now Spectrum offered to buy us out of the contract, we wanted to cancel.

We are still well within the 30 days of starting the service. I asked about the stuff on their website in regards to canceling within the first 30 days of service and the guy I spoke with was very rude. Not only did he try using scare tactics to keep me using their service (threatening to charge us the early termination fee even though it says they won't, and telling me I would be on the hook for an additional $400), but he also tried to trick me into staying with them for another month, which would put me outside of the 30 day grace period.

After I explained to him repeatedly that I wasn't interested, he continued pushing me to stay with them, trying to confuse me about the terms of the cancellation etc. It wasn't until I demanded he tell me what the policy was regarding canceling within the first 30 days, that he told me to go to the website and read it for myself. I reminded him that I was a customer, and as a customer service representative he should be able to tell me what the policy was. After going back and forth with him, he finally put me on hold for about 2 minutes while he read it for himself (I suspect for the first time), and then told me I was right. I have to believe he as well as other representatives have misrepresented the situation to other customers who have tried to cancel just so they can charge the $400 plus the early termination fees.

When I requested a supervisor to discuss how he handled the situation, he transferred me to another representative who said they were the supervisor who basically read word for word what it said on the site. She offered no apology for the strongarm tactics or for the way the previous representative misrepresented the situation. The service itself, I would rate 7/10 (Compared to other satellite services I've used), customer service 1/10. If you prefer honesty, don't go with this company.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have had HughesNet for going on 13 months. When initially installed it worked fine for about 1 1/2 months then all of a sudden it got really slow. I do not download movies, play games online, do not live stream anything but an occasional YouTube video. The data usage is astronomically high compared to using my smartphone and HughesNet cannot explain it. Every evening (EST) the service gets so slow for 3 to 5 hours it brings back the days of the 1600 baud modem. In fact I have to attach laptop to the Hotspot on my phone running at 600 kbps in order to use the internet. I would be will to say I have contacted HughesNet over 50 times for either slow service or no service or unexplained data usage (on a completely secured network) and HughesNet has no clue how to resolve either issue.

I live in a remote area so I am forced into satellite service. I had DSL at one point running at 1.7 mbps and unfortunately I switched to HughesNet. Honestly, DSL was faster than HughesNet 75% of the time. To add insult to injury after my first 12 months elapsed the Bill went up. To give HughesNet credit they did reduce my monthly bill by $30 a month because they cannot resolve any of my complaints. I suspect they have more customers than their infrastructure can handle. Reminds me of the Token Ring era. If you want to keep your sanity find a service that is consistently reliable, HughesNet is not it.

Original review: July 25, 2018

If you are reading this, do NOT get HughesNet unless you really liked dial up from 1999. This is the worst internet service I have ever had in the past 20 years. The only reason I got it, in the first place, DirecTV was offering it as a bundle package. I was told satellite service was the fastest available, wrong! I called within the first 30 days to cancel it and was told it would cost $400.00!

Seriously, within the first 30 days, what kind of service is that? To watch one movie on Netflix it would take 4 hours of constant buffering. We could only use screen mirroring on our TV with our cell phones. Our family could not take it anymore, I called to cancel and had to scream at the person to cancel it as they would not listen to me. It cost me $250.00 and I went back to cable. I may have to make 10 payments on my credit card to pay off that money but we can actually watch a movie in 1 hour and 46 minutes, my kids can play video games, and I can actually use my laptop again. I wish I had read the reviews before I ever agreed to the DirecTV package with HughesNet. You might as well take a few $1,000 and throw it out the window because that's how good your money would be worth for this piece of crap.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I was not happy at all with their service. My bill went for 60 something to 110 and they could not give me a legitimate reason why. Their service did not do well neither. I am a college student and relied on this for my school work. I had to hotspot my T-Mobile phone to get internet. Scammers.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We have been with HughesNet since January 2018 and couldn't be happier with the service. We left CenturyLink after being a customer for over eight years. We had their version of DSL, but the service was so bad we couldn't load emails, forget watching a YouTube video. Always, "this page can't be displayed". Dial up would have been better. Under CenturyLink, we were paying $60.00 per month, basically for nothing. Under HughesNet, there are three plans available, we use the 20 GB plan, $60.00 for internet that now works. There are no hard limits as in the past, once you hit your max data plan; the service slows down, but it still works fine. We don't stream videos or games, so I can't comment on that.

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

MD
20876
www.hughesnet.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business