2.77/5
Based on 1,573 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Hughes offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

Hughes Network Systems Video
Hughes Network Systems Gallery (2)
View More View More

4189 Hughes Network Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 17, 2019

Wasn't on. Somehow it be became unplugged a tiny bit and so he had me check it and it worked. He was very concerned and very helpful. There really are no other words to say except that he was very good working with me.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

The lady that took care me she was very kind and courteous, She helped me resolve my problem that I had regarding my bill, I hope you have more people out there like her. Tell her I said thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Just needed to know if I had changed my email address. Could not remember my pw. Everything is fine now. Thank you. Also asked about your association with DirecTV if you were in combo agreements with them. All is good, thank you very much, very good assistance.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have used HUGHES for many years and just today discovered wifi. Need more info for customers as this feature was unknown to me until I called customer service. Make a owner's manual to help customers take full advantage of the service.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Before we had HughesNet, our e-mail service was faster. Now, when watching a video, it starts and stops several times buffering. This is truly annoying! I understand that I was advised there would be a delay for e-mail, but not the buffering!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hughes Network Systems?

Original review: April 16, 2019

Was skeptical at first about using Hughes because of past experiences of friends. They recommended not to go with Hughes because service was not reliable in their experience. After talking to a representative of your company and the discount in my area I decided to give it a shot. Been using your service now for one month and I am very satisfied, so far.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My speed was improved after I called. But the following day it has slowed again just like it has been doing since I got the system. It is very disappointing when each time I try use my internet it is slower than fail up, until I call again.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The installers were professional, answered all of my questions and were faster than I thought possible. They made sure I understood how everything worked before they left. We were very pleased with the service and it works very well now that we've had a chance to experience it for several weeks.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am pleased with the services at this time. I was not sure at first, it took so long to get my old telephone number back in service. It was a inconvenience to have to notify family and friends of a temporary number, then re-contact them about number being restored.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Average service. Strength is not always that strong. Sometimes difficult to connect. But it is workable. I am not sure why we have to write so many words. I like to be short and to the point. I wish there was a way to get a stronger signal.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The service is for our River house so we are not there all the time. I wish the install was run the same as the Satellite TV was run from the roof to the living room but it was not it was run from the roof to the upstairs bedroom. Not ideal but it works. The tech was very nice but needed to come back out after the install because the dish had moved and we were not get a signal. He was able to come out the next day and get that working so thank you.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The men who came to install the satellite were very considerate. They took their shoes off each time they came into our home. The price is right regarding the internet service. However, the internet service is a bit slower than expected. I would recommend HughesNet.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Works okay when the weather is fine but slow for most of the month. Everything is going well and I would recommend this to a friend who needs internet but lives in a remote area like out in the country.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Lost connection on one TV. Person I messaged was knowledgeable and polite. Got it working again after 20-25 minutes. Same thing happened today. I pulled the cable wire up from the floor and pushed it back down in the floor and it started working again. That has worked 4-5 times now. I think there is a wire/connection issue somewhere. Only happens on one TV.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Upgraded to gen-5 due to my Gen-3 stopped working. The technician arrived early and is a great guy. Worked in the rain and had to run a new cable from the dish to the house. (That's why my Gen-3 wasn't working. Cable was broken somewhere.) Gen-5 is faster and has WiFi built in. So far everything is working great.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Josh from Custom Satellite installed our 5g wifi. He is wonderful to work with and very knowledgeable. He was also punctual, polite, he gave us very good instructions on how to make the most of the WiFi. Would recommend him to anyone. Thank you Josh!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Being hard of hearing I was able to communicate and get the answers I needed. Did not understand why I got the email from Hughes to start with but everything was resolved. I have been a customer with HughesNet for several years. 15 or more.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I wished that the e-mail worked better. Everything else is fine. I don't understand why sent messages are also sent into the Inbox. That's confusing. I otherwise have no complaint. I look forward to using this Internet service. There is little more to add. Except for e-mail, all is fine. Thank you.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I am very pleased with my internet. It is so much better than what I had before. I am very glad I changed. I would recommend it to a friend or family member. Downloads are so much faster and it is always available.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Install guys were great, as far as the reception and speed it’s mediocre at best. I guess it’s the best they can do via satellite. Images when watching movies goes in and out even on clear days. When I used my iPhone hotspot it was quicker.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Tv reception was not clear. Issue resolved and data questions answered. Maybe we are lined out now. Hopefully the issues we were having and the data consumption is balanced out. This has been an issue since we have signed up with Hughes Net.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I packaged my telephone service with Hughes internet service. I was not told I would get a new telephone number. Friends and family got concerned when they could not reach us for 24 hours. I spent all morning today getting the correct answers and submitting the form to have my old number transferred over. If I had known ahead of time I could have had some safeguards in place.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My tech was very helpful and friendly. My service is great for the most part. Was experiencing some buffering all last week. But other than that my service is good. My dad was the one who recommended me and I'm glad he did.

Original review: April 13, 2019

No problems the first month but now I have a hard time streaming at night. I never try during the day. Even when we just use 1 tv with no other devices it will stop multiple times. Download speeds are slower after first month.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I am on a paper bill and I called in to make a payment with my card which cleared on the 8th. I specifically told the woman not to save my card. I woke up this morning to find $138 debited from my account. What is that for I don’t know because I am not on automatic payment nor is that my monthly amount. I called to find out what’s going on and the guy hung up several times. I will be contacting consumer protection and better business bureau.

Original review: April 13, 2019

This couple were amazing, helpful and cared! Great job! They showed concern for my needs and were respectful as well! They were prompt and courteous. I would recommend them to anyone. Great knowledge of the product too! I would welcome them in my home again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Charlie ** help me up grade my services and was a pleasure to work with. He save me a dollar on my bill. I was able to take back my router and get my money back. I will now have a faster service. Bill **.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Roger ** was excellent helpful and knowledgeable. Roger worked with me and did clear up some settings that may have made a problem. He was patient and repeated the instructions until I understood. He obtained help from another technician and they determined the problem and are sending a technician tomorrow to replace a part. He was very helpful.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been in touch with tech. support countless times and my internet speed is still for the most part less than 1 meg. I am so frustrated that I am paying a ridiculous amount of money for speed that that is not much better than dialup. Also, when I do talk to tech support sometimes their English is so bad I can't understand them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

HUGHESNET. I am angry -- untruths and outright lies, lack of service, blaming others, inability/unwillingness to fix problems, extremely slow speeds or no service, six hours on the phone in the last two days (and they don't work on the weekends, so it will be Monday before I get a callback), contracts that the consumer cannot get out of yet the company does not fulfill its side of the deal, equipment with planned obsolescence, and more! I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH HUGHESNET!

Hughes Network Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs