ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5
Based on 3,226 ratings submitted in the last year

HughesNet offers the world’s largest satellite network currently serving over 1.2 million customers across North and South America. A global leader, they offer broadband satellite technology and services for both residential and commercial properties, including their flagship high-speed satellite Internet service, HughesNet®.

HughesNet Gallery (2)
View More View More

HughesNet Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Behind on bill. Your staff were so helpful to me. They helped me in ways that I didn't even know your company did. They credited part of my payment and made arrangements for me to pay the rest on payday. And turned my service back on. I felt like I was giving a Christmas present. The month of October I had a knee replacement and then 25 days in inpatient therapy. My account was used fraudulently used. I lost $3600.00 in less than a month. It turned out a account I had to keep a watch on my credit has insurance for this. So I am looking forward to see if it truly works.

I just know it's given me a little light at the end of a very long tunnel. Part of that was for new tires, I sure hope it comes soon. Took me eight months to save that much. I am praying. Again your employees were Fantastic and I cried when I got off the phone. Was a really nice thing for your company to do, ever. Thanks Kathryn **

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I recently had internet and phone satellite service installed at my new house. The installer was very professional and there were no issues with the installation. The only problem I am having is that I cannot send photos as attachments using either text or email using my iPhone, iPad or PC. Called tech support numerous times who could not do anything to fix the issue and informed me to contact Apple. Then after calling Apple support for my iPhone they were able to provide me with a workaround fix since the issue is with HughesNet. The only way I can send pictures is via email and include the photos within the email but not as attachments. So basically I cannot text or email anyone pictures as attachments!

I have never had this issue with any other internet service provider and was very frustrated. But at least I can send them embedded in an email now. Also, if you do get HughesNet satellite service make sure they have your name spelled right when signing up. They kept informing me they would need to send the request to upper management which is ridiculous. I had to call them numerous times until they corrected my name. Then I had to also do it on the phone side so it shows up on caller ID correctly. Sometimes the internet speed is slow to load websites but overall it is great for the rural area where I live. I still wish I could have gone with broadband service instead of satellite since the weather does slow the speed when raining or very cloudy.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a lot of problems since I have joined, but so far they have all been handled. The last two representatives were very helpful. But, I do want to know I can count on this service for my job. The first issues I had took so long to resolve and get back to me. I am concerned that if that happens while I am working I will lose the job I am applying for, and was frustrated that I had to continually reschedule my job interview. The issue was not the fault of the people who helped me— but service would be better if you could resolve issues with less delay. I understand that everything is just now getting set up, and am hoping things will smooth out. But I was ready to switch services earlier today because of the number of issues I have had and the problems it has caused in my job interview process. Thankfully, the issue today was minor and the representative handled it quickly and also taught me what to do in the future.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called Hughes Net today feeling rather bewildered about removing the Radio from the dish on the roof. I am well over 60 years of age and knew I could not easily remove the part without serious injury. The 1st agent was so professional and kind. She understood my dilemma, checked with a supervisor, and then brought resolve to the perplexing problem. I did not get her name, unfortunately.

I had to call back to Hughes Net when I realized I did not know what to do with the remaining now useless dish on the roof. This time the agent by the name of Desiree helped me. She was as kind and professional as the 1st agent. Ms. Desiree smartly gave me the number of the office of the Technicians. He in a fine way after asking a few pertinent questions gave me information that surely saved everyone from wasted time and money.

I know my response is rather lengthy. It is unusual for me to agree to respond to anyone's survey request -- let alone take this much time in responding. In conclusion, I have come to have a special respect for the name Hughes Net, a company of which I never knew until last month when I responded to a mailer using Hughes Net's name, and strangely a contact number that was not a legitimate number of your company's. I signed up having gross misinformation whether intentional or out of ignorance. Later, feeling highly stressed and scammed, a highly skilled and discerning supervisor worked for me to be released from the contract.

In closing, I want to thank that Supervisor. He was so calm, courteous, and professional, I later felt ashamed at how stressed I was feeling. Hughes Net, your knack for choosing good people to represent your company and name, actually demonstrated to me how important it is to listen to people and deal with people in a genuine, respectful, professional manner while seeking to resolve the problem. I work in a highly stressful hospital setting. THANK YOU ALL. I will remember your name and share it. Respectfully, Doris.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was actually really worried after reading all of the horrible reviews on HughesNet. Our only option for internet was Hughes so I made the leap. The installer actually declined our install the first time (after hiking through the snow and digging a hole and pouring concrete and cementing the pole) because he discovered we had a tree in the way. The next day we cut down the tree blocking the line of sight to the satellite and they came out the following day and completed the install.

This is a vacation rental and I was surprised to hear we could suspend and reactivate service for a total of 180 days a year and the bill would be prorated. We have been using this service activating for a few days at a time. I've been using their chat feature and doing everything via chat which has been very simple. They even gave me a substantial credit for not deactivating the service during some requested dates. They save the chats and could see they made a mistake. So far so good!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The woman who assisted me was pleasant, informed and was able to answer all my questions. She is an asset. It is unusual to have someone who displays all these characteristics. Thanks for the quick response and the great service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

He was very helpful for what I needed done! He made our internet video a lot faster! So we decided to stay with your company! Thank you for all your help! Hope to talk to you guys soon! Very happy with experience.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The customer service agent was pleasant, knowledgeable and gave me the information I needed. His delivery was quick, even though he had to research the issue prior to getting the answer I needed.. Will need to follow up in March to see if all is still good with the account. He did a great job. Is a great customer service representative. You should appreciate him.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I was totally satisfied, the rep sure knew what she was doing and talking about. That is the kind of rep we all need to answer our phone calls. She really knew her job and was very professional. IF I COULD REMEMBER HER NAME I WOULD ASK FOR EVERY TIME I CALLED. Thank you rep.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

My internet is slow and buffers all the time. Rep was patient, polite and informative. However the information I received was not the same as I was lead to believe by both my initial contact nor the installer who answered my questions..

HughesNet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This broadband satellite ISP, known in the market as HughesNet, provides high-speed satellite internet everywhere in the continental United States.

• Widely available: HughesNet is available everywhere in the continental U.S.—even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

• Data-saving features: HughesNet Gen5 automatically compresses and optimizes web content with built-in SmartTechnologies™ to make web pages load faster while using less of your data. HughesNet Gen5 also includes a video data-saver so you can watch more videos using less of your data.

• Unlimited Data: If you exceed your data plan, you stay connected at reduced speeds until your next billing cycle.

• Best for: Those in search of reliable access to the Internet at good speeds, even in the most remote locations.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team