3.4/5 (290 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

HughesNet Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I considered using their service due to being a rural area there are not many service providers in zip code 33030, their agent didn't tell you 2 years lock-in contract and early termination fee upfront, and after a month, the internet was soooo slow so I can't do any jobs, so I decide to cancel, now they lied to me I had 3 yrs contract and I have to pay $880 termination Fee. And after hours of arguing, we end up set to vocation mode with still paying $33.30/month for 6 months, then back to $80/month for the rest of the term which is 29 months, they treat you like an idiot, in total I will lose: $33.30x6+$80X30months=2599.80, for getting no service now, it is really a nightmare deal with such company. Is there anywhere we can sue this company, you can't just let them rob our money for doing nothing.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

This is the fastest internet service. No hidden costs. Our neighbor turned us on to HughesNet and he said it was the best and we agree. The cost is reasonable. We would definitely recommend Hughes internet. Our friends have asked us and we rave over the quality.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Unfortunately, I don't have any good news to share about Hughesnet. First, my online account that shows how much "fast" Internet that I've used this billing period doesn't work. Second, the "fast" Internet is not so fast. Third, hughesnet promised me a $300 VISA card in the ad I responded to, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it. And lastly, according to Dish TV, Hughesnet installed the satellite to close to my Dish satellite and now I have problems with my TV service. Now, Dish will only come look at it for $100. I only gave hughesnet 2 stars because they are SO MUCH BETTER THAN CENTURYLINK!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Works well most of the time, slows down in the evening sometimes. The last few days, when I try to watch a movie, it get interrupted several times with excessive buffering, and finally stopping the movie altogether. Annoying to say the least.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

3 lies too many. Bait you in and suck you down. I can't cancel. It will cost more than just waiting out the 2 year contract. Unless you're desperate for internet just don't. Satellite internet is not as good as fiber optic.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I received an e-mail instructing me to call a number to register. When I call, all I get is some message selling me a necklace so I can call for help. I was told I would get 25 MBPS all I get is 24, IF even that. I was also told that I had to use your Modem. I have my own modem, less than 2 months old. Someone there are doing a lot of lying. I am completely unsatisfied with your service and way of doing business. You are not holding to your part of the contract. So you have broken the contract with me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

New installation - we are not living there yet - where set-up - so far we do approve? Appears fast and once we are living there 24/7 - then we will know more - if it will support our everyday needs or farm business needs?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

We had our satellite installed and afterwards could not get on WiFi. I called the company and spent 45min on the phone with a tech at Hughes Net and it did not get fixed. I requested a technician to come to our home and correct the WiFi setup and got no response. So far I am Very dissatisfied with the technical help we have gotten.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Even though we have Fiber Optic line a 1/2 mile from the house, we had to go with HughesNet, the system seems a tad sluggish, and drops from time to time. The installer was very knowledgeable and gave of lots of great information on the system and how to use it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Called them today and talked with a tech man. He checked everything out pertaining to my service and fixed the problem. Hughes Net has courteous and helpful people. Their technicians are knowledgeable and very helpful. I would recommend hughes net to anyone looking for internet service.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Well, it appears that the first month our service was great. This month however in almost 2 days our service was almost used up even with nothing connected to it. I don't know if I'm keeping it or not. I really don't think this service is going to be a good suit for us.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I've never had satellite before but, should have done this years ago! Past landline issues with other broadband services have been horrible! Always having to reset all our devices was a pain in the **. Hughes Net has been flawless in reliability! I can finally relax and enjoy our service!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

The service was exceptional. Tech was professional, polite and fast. He explained everything in a way that was easy to understand. The speeds were not as fast as we understood from the commercials on TV. We wish it could be faster. All in all, we were mostly satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I had a little bit of trouble with the internet but I called customer service got it all straightened out. Everything works great. I have not had a problem with it at all and not only that but they've sent me the paperwork so I can get my savings card.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Excellent service... I give them two thumbs up! The service was very quick, I started working immediately. I got back on track in no time! I work online and need a reliable service. I give HughesNet my highest recommendation.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Reception is slow and interrupts often, TV and PC freeze up frequently. Would change providers without delay or hesitation if another was available. Even lost connection while writing this review. Coincidence? Would not recommend Hughes Net to anyone. Very frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I do not understand why I have a hard time connecting to wifi but I am already OUT of data. From day 1 I only have 1 maybe 2 bars to work with. I find it hard to connect on a daily basis, but it is better than nothing. The Customer Service is wonderful, but sometimes the actual service itself is not.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Extremely pleased with the entire process from initial inquiry to fully functional within 24 hours of first call. It was also very refreshing as an English speaking citizen of the USA that the customer service center and installer also spoke very clear English. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

It took almost a week, but level 4 fixed the problem. Thanks for fixing my problems. I couldn't watch anything for a week. The installation went great. The 2 men knew what they were doing. The Techs from the support team were great, but I had to be referred to level 4.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I have had to call Hughes Net a few times and each time I get fast service and my problem is always solved. Tech help was very professional and the repair staff. Would highly recommend Huges Net. No plan on replacing them with another service.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

He is very punctual and takes time to explain what he is doing. He also takes time to describe the technology involved for our isolated area to receive an adequate signal. I would recommend this service man to all my friends. He gives suggestions about how to improve our connections on our computers and other devices!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

The man who came out seemed pleasant, noted lots of things needed to "speed up" our access. After he left we found very little was changed. We still will have to wait some time, during which the notes "you can't access the Intranet" or "you are not connected with the Intranet" will come up. Once we wait, eventually it will open up, but it's still very slow.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I was not told this service would not work when connecting to a VPN- until I called to complain about speed (or lack thereof). I work from home like many people do now and this service is useless to me.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I have been helped with any issues or questions I have regarding this service. Especially not realizing how fast GB get used up with 5 people using TVs, laptops, etc. But I have been very pleased with all the help & useful information given to me by the representatives. I have no complaints at this time. Very satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Great service. The sales technicians was extremely helpful and the support staff was very friendly. No problems thus far. Was unsure that satellite system would be the solution that it turned out to be. Thanks to all the great staff and support.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

When I was first contacted about getting wifi through Hughes Net I was promised on several occasions that I would receive a $300 Visa card. After installation I called to ask how I would receive the rebate. I was told after 2 billing cycles to go to the rebate site and I would print out my forms and 2 bills and mail them in. I expressed concern that my 15 GB plan was not listed and was told it was "locked in" from the date of ordering the service. Now I'm told I do not qualify for the rebate. I was lied to and the calls were recorded. I filed a report with the BBB on the matter. Consumers should not be lied to just to get them to sign up for a service. Very unhappy.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

The installer was very professional--he was courteous, prompt, knowledgeable, and very quick to get things up and running. I needed a little help with the connection on a 2nd computer and a very quick phone call got that done in just a few minutes. The folks on the phone continued the courteous behaviors of the installer. Very impressive. Once connected I have had no problems. Again, nicely done.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Installation was a great experience. He was very helpful and fast but the actual service is spotty at best. Unfortunately because of where I live providers are limited. I would not recommend HughesNet as a service provider. Again the installation was fine but I am already over my limit and have to buy tokens to enhance my service..

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

This is the worst internet service I have ever had. Daily I lose connection, and buffer more than I can use. It drops me so often it is now just normal. I would have better service with a piece of foil and stick waving in the wind. It is horrible. No matter the weather.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

My husband passed away, so I called to have service cancelled. The gentlemen on the phone was rude and refused to cancel my service DESPITE the fact that a copy of Death Cert had been sent over to them. I was on the phone with them for almost an hour before they would even do anything! Not to mention the price is terrible, EVEN with auto billing!

HughesNet Company Information