3.1/5 (2409 ratings)

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros

• Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock

Cons

• Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

Bottom Line

HughesNet offers a variety of benefits, like no hard data caps and a 50 GB bonus zone. While plans are limited and canceling is expensive, the service can be affordable and effective for rural homes and business owners.

HughesNet Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Did not have any WiFi for 22 days due to a problem with my dish. I was sent out a new modem which did not work so the tech reinstalled the old modem and it worked great. Alex helped me with the billing issues but was unable to give an acceptable resolution to the sending back the old modem that is now in use. Alex did try to help resolve my issue but was unable to change the modem back to operating system.

My problem was never with the modem and in the very beginning I kept trying to get a tech out as I KNEW it was the dish. The location was a 15. Once the dish was fixed everything worked fine. So I am still very unhappy with the decision. So I will be forced to pay an extra $100 as I am not sending back my modem which is working fine plus the $100 fine for a tech coming out to fix the dish. The tech is the one who reinstalled the modem that was not broken. He was great also. Yes I am an unhappy customer but Alex did give excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I loved my service with Hughesnet, but I moved away from the vacation residence and don't plan to be there enough to warrant the service. I tried to cancel the service on Oct 26, but the rep talked me into keeping it through April, promising no charge at all. Against my better judgment, I agreed. Then I found a full charge had been taken out of my checking account. I had to call back and go through the whole thing again, this time not to be talked out of cancelling the account. After this I did a live chat to see about returning the equipment, was assured that my equipment is not to be returned. I have the ref #s on all these communications. I did receive the refund, thank you. You seem to be a good and reliable company as I am a good and reliable customer, but I did have an encounter with a poor service rep who didn't follow through on what he had promised.

Original review: July 18, 2020

The installation and startup was well done and did not take long. The main reason I am trying Hughes Net is that in my area out in the country , I have very little Internet. The speed you provide is excellent, but performance is substandard. I can perform all my email and business function liked they should be performed. But one of the main reasons I purchased was that I want to stream movies and shows, plus use Zoom to talk with my grandchildren that I am not allowed to travel to visit. I wanted to stream Disney+ , but always buffers. I finally gave up and talked to Tech Services, so they made some adjustments.

They advised me they have trouble streaming Disney+, Netflix, and few others. They said that Hughes is working on the problem. Why didn't Hughes list that on system explanations. I needed that to make my purchasing decision. After monitoring the system speeds I found many times during the day I can not use the internet because there is no signal for about 30 seconds. I always thought that the signal would be constant. The end result is that I can live with the system because it is much better than Verizon.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Talked with a Hughesnet Tech Eddie A. about the system buffering while streaming. We had just got the system set up the night before and the family was very excited to see the results of this high speed service. We stream a lot of Netflix and Prime shows and movies. We sat down to watch something and we kept getting long pauses of buffering. It was worse than our 1.3 mbps Centurylink that we have been using for the last 13yrs. The tech gave us a few things to try and he was helpful. It is still early to tell if it is going to be a good fit for us.

The speeds are great for surfing the internet, but not for streaming videos and movies. I wish I was told that before I bought the $400.00 plus dollars worth of equipment (Didn't want to lease the equipment). I don't know if it will work very well for Google classroom and the online college class my wife is taking? I ran several speed test and it was a steady 20-23 mbps. It would seem that a video would run smooth with those speeds? We are not running anything Hi Def. We also turned the resolution down on Netflix. Hoping we can make a few adjustments and get the streaming steady.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I subscribed to Hughesnet after having problems that could not be fixed with my original ISP (AT&T), after subscribing to this I love it. The very short delay from the modem to the satellite is not an issue and seem to be very fast and reliable, the only issue I see is when we have a really bad storm in the area it sometimes cuts out, just like Directv does which is no big deal for me since it is short lived here where I live in Florida.

I have read several bad remarks/comments about this service but I have not many any issues with it and the Technical support people if you do have an issue or question is very helpful... If you want a great internet by satellite service, Hughesnet is for you... Don't believe all the bad comments that you hear, some people will say anything to bring down a successful company. Our Florida Lottery is ran by Hughesnet and they have great service so I thought i would give it a try as well... sure glad I did and you will too.

Original review: June 15, 2021

This company will straight out lie to your face. Avoid at all costs. This is the biggest waste of cash for two years. It is literally only good for sending an email. If you can find any kind of cell phone service that can do that, just stick with that. The customer service is terrible. Look for other options and do your own research about what their service is capable of, because they lie and lock you into a 2 year contract. It's very frustrating. I wish I knew before I signed up.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Everything went well and so far is good. The technician did a great job installing and explaining. It was also done in a timely manner and he was extremely nice. I would definitely recommend Hughes Net to anyone who is in the country and can't access the internet.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I got service from Hughesnet after they told me I could make and receive calls on my computer. I need that for work. Well I couldn't and when I called in I was told that I couldn't. They let me cancel but refused to give back the installation fee and charged me $100 to return the equipment. They billed me once for the $100 then sent me straight to collections. I contact them occasionally to see if they will return my money and cancel the fee with no response until today. I sent a text about how upset I am and they sent back a picture of people dancing and celebrating. How mean. Don't ever get their service!

Original review: June 14, 2021

I called last week. Did a complete reset of account with Mr **. He tried very hard to find the problem. I gave it a week to see anything changed. My family is angry at me. Because internet is VERY slow. On my day off from work I can't even watch movie. I always get 1Mbps (poor). The only time I saw 33Mbps is at 4am. Well I get up for work @5am. 6days week due to being cherry harvest. I want this resolved.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Doesn't stream well using my Roku. It takes 2 hours to stream a 1 hour program. Due to poor TV reception we rely heavily on our Roku. Internet really works well. I am well pleased with the internet service. Thanks.

Original review: June 12, 2021

James was the tech person who installed the system, and he was very experienced, easy to work with and put a lot of energy and creative thinking into figuring out best mounting positions for the dish etc. The Service seems to be working well at this point, and yes I have already recommended it to a friend. Thanks, Andrew ** for Rose Mountain, Inc.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Unfortunately, we had a GREAT experience with your people getting the system and installation, but sadly, we are very disappointed in the quality of the speed from the connection. It is slower than the 2 bars we get on our phones so will likely cancel at some point and just get a cell phone booster. I wish this wasn't the case because we really had a great experience working with your people, but the system just doesn't work well. Kind regards, Scott ** and Karin **

Original review: June 12, 2021

I had been trying 9 months to get internet service with a different carrier. To no avail I came to the conclusion they really didn’t want my service. I called HughesNet. They wrote up my order and scheduled me with a technician to come out and install my service. The technician not only arrived on time but came earlier and within a couple of hours had everything installed and equipment tested and working. Thank you HughesNet for wanting us as a customer and responding so quickly.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Installation was good. Tech was very efficient and informative. But our service is very spotty. We have yes to watch anything without constant buffering. Which means a 40 minute episode takes an hour and 15 minutes to complete. Computer use is much better.

Original review: June 11, 2021

While Hughesnet customer service is generally excellent, the product itself is seriously flawed. Internet purchasing or reading of webpages of only text is not a problem (nor is connecting online), streaming media of any kind provides poor quality value. Competition between local users makes even an adequately broad connection a frustrating exercise in rebuffering - every 5-6 seconds I wait that long for every rebuffering pause. Even in non-peak hours buffering delays are frequent. Crashing of the Hulu media player happens many times per session on some days. And this is when watching at what is called “data saver” resolution (blurry but does play outside of the 8-11pm peak demand time). Fortunately I have gigabytes available between 2 and 8 am when the rebuffering interruptions at low resolution are mostly absent.

There is some correlation to observable outside weather, at other times there is not; rain or wind either do or do not cause bandwidth problems. It appears to be competition with other users that is the issue - due to a marginally wide available bandwidth. I live rurally and everyone locally has satellite via Hughesnet. Thus none of us locally are apparently able to have the kind of internet available that would allow an adequate 21st century online presence. Unfortunately I have no other option. Even cell service here is spotty, and message (texting) is unavailable most times. Telephone calls are always dropped at least once per. Get into the broadband business right now. As soon as it arrives here, satellite is gone.

HughesNet Company Information