HughesNet

HughesNet Reviews

About HughesNet

HughesNet Gen5 offers a range of plans with fast speeds, built-in Wi-Fi and No Hard Data Limits, so you can do more of everything you love online. Available where you live today, even in areas with slow or no high-speed options.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Simple plans
  • No hard data caps
  • Good for rural areas
  • 24-month price lock
Cons
  • Expensive cancellation
  • May be slow

HughesNet Reviews

• 4%
  • 4%
  • 78%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HughesNet?
    Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2022

Our installer was terrific! Very knowledgeable with some very helpful hints, etc. I would give him my highest marks! Installer was on time and worked diligently to get our system installed. Everything was tested to ensure it worked properly. So far the service as met expectations.

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2022

After phone calls to tech support did not fix my problem, a tech came to my house the very next morning. Tech Dave ** immediately found and fixed the problem (literally within a few minutes). He was excellent, considerate, and professional.

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2022

Installed by tech that was very knowledgeable about what he was doing. Went smoothly with no problems. He was very friendly and made sure he cleaned up work place and took out trash. Made sure all my internet items were working properly and explained the remote.

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2022

I could not sign in. It refused my password. When I tried to answer your identity questions, I couldn't click at the bottom because I could not get to the bottom of the page. I couldn't pull the page up higher.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2022

We've only been a subscriber for one week and it is better than Firewire for sure. Only problem is, tho service is constant I'm unable to watch YouTube videos like I could on the rare occasion that Firewire worked at all. Strange, but only a very few videos will play at all and when they do, it is sporadic and subject to stopping for no reason.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2022

We are new customers and, during these first few weeks our internet has been very quirky...it goes out several times a day, no service at all last 4 days. So frustrating as I am a teacher working from home, and my wife is an online student relying on Zoom and not able to attend class. This has been a highly stressful experience so far. We have a technician scheduled tomorrow.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2022

I still don't get the greatest signal! I got it just to watch Netflix and things like that and it doesn't get the greatest signal but I can still watch Netflix and whatnot. It just takes a while to load and sometimes it cuts in and out. But we live in the middle of the country pretty far out from the city! It's good! I just wish it didn't buffer so much but it's better than not having any kind of internet!

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2022

No issues with the service so far. Can't complain about the connectivity. Price is a little high, but there are no other options currently in the location. Is capable of supporting a security system which is helpful.

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2022

The installer was very thorough and he explained everything. He gave us several option on where to install the dish with the pros and cons of each location. He did a clean job and was very friendly. I would highly recommend him to other customers.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2022

This company is by far the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. They deceive customers with their false advertising. Their internet service is extremely slow and almost stops working all together when you go over your limit to the point you can’t load Google. Customer service is a joke and all they do is blame you for the internet being slow and then hang up on you. I suffered with them for 10 years and I’m so glad to finally be able to dump them for a real provider.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2022

Service was easy to order, technician was good communicator and very pleasant. Modem and placement were explained well and possible issues that might come up. Able to pick up a much better signal and Viasat. Overall speed is better. I hope it continues to work so well.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2022

Well so far with using that we've had a great experience. The gentleman that initiated and set up our account for us was absolutely fabulous. He spoke with my husband. My husband said that he explained everything very thoroughly and so far we have gotten exactly what we expected to get.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2022

Was very happy from start to end. The entire staff made was great and the service tech during the install delivered great customer service by respecting our time, respecting us as customer and property. The antenna was installed properly and professionally. No issues so far. Only during storms we lose signal but now is good.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2022

Service slightly slow but overall happy with internet service due to being in country. Prompt installation. Worker was very helpful, patient and professional and took the time to explain his actions during the installation.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2022

Hughes Net was great to deal with. Excellent customer service and great response time. They had some to my camp in 3 days to hook up landlines and internet. The techs that came to do the installation were very nice and accommodating. They did their job very professional like. Very neat and fast.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

The technician was very helpful and stayed well past 6pm to get the job done and went out in practically a blizzard to put up the dish. Great service except did leave telephone wires that we did not need and an old drill bit but overall good service.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

The technician came in and checked my computer and tested the signal strength then went outside and 15 minutes later he was back and said that it was all ready to go. Very satisfied with what he done. Thanks, Ed.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

The installer was very friendly and explained everything he had done and answered all my questions. We're very pleased with Hughes Internet service and the price is very affordable. We live in the foothill area and need a reliable internet for our service.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

The free installation was excellent. The technician was very knowledgeable and efficient. I’m a little disappointed in the speed of the internet compared to Dish. I thought it’d be faster. Turns out we just get more of it but it’s still slow!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

Our internet does not support the live streaming of our TV. We were told by the salesman that it would support our current usage. It freezes frequently. When we reached out to customer service, we were sent to a second technician to address the quality. The second technician was very rude and told us it would cost additional dollars to get them to trouble our system. We are very dissatisfied with the service and do not believe we should have to pay more to receive equivalent quality of service to our previous provider.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

The Wi-Fi and internet is average at best. Cannot stream Netflix or other streaming apps without interruption. Always rebooting, and slow speeds. If there is another service provider that is not satellite, would definitely get that service. Unfortunately not that many choices. I do not recommend if you have a choice.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2022

We are very dissatisfied with the service since day one. When we perform a speed test it shows around 30-36 download speeds but in watching a YouTube video it pauses continually. We have had numerous calls with customer service with many adjustments made to the router but it remains very slow. We are very dissatisfied and are considering having it removed and canceling the service.

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2022

I am in a tough Signal area with several competitive attempts that failed. This is working very well with great picture quality day and night.. Service was on time, monitors were explained and cleanup was performed. I have no issues. Guests are very impressed.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2022

Hughes is the worst ever in my 50 years. They over promise, and the customer support is even worse. I could never get their internet service to work correctly, and after a year of attempting to fix, I gave up and cancelled. They proceeded to charge me almost $400 for cancelation early even though there was plenty of documentation to no service provided.

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2022

Cannot watch youtube. Cannot work at home as internet speed like dial up. TV works ok, but going outside of TV trying to view NetFlix and YouTube or logging into my work through Hughes is a tad better than dial up. Wish I had gotten a Verizon Hot Spot.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2022

Was just as described, serviceman was very courteous and polite. Good so far. Just got this about 1 1/2 months ago. He was also on time and called before he came. Great. He was very helpful with questions that we had and did his best to answer them.. I would recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2022

When my service tech walked me through the problem, we found that my surge protector had failed. Great service resolving the problem. During the last power outage my surge protector had failed. Great service from my service technician Mark. Outstanding.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

I love my internet service with Hughes Net. Thank y'all very much. My Aunt Mary **, My Sister Law Kathy **, My Sister Vergie **, My Nephew Derick ** I told them all about y'all service. Now they very much enjoy the internet with hughes Net service. I will try to get much People I can to have Hughes Net services with y'all.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

Used ViaSat for a year. $165 a month for a service that was subpar, never worked during the day, constant buffering and wouldn’t even load a thumbnail on YouTube. HughesNet has been much more affordable, reliable and faster, with accurate data usage. Funny how with ViaSat we would go over our “unlimited” data in the first week of use, not now and are doing nothing differently. Should have switched a long time ago!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

I can not understand those from Tywin, Mexico or South America phone operators. They do not complete the info back to the USA. They also said they could not transfer me to the USA so I could complete my business. The equipment installation went fast and done right.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

My husband works from home at this time and sometimes the internet service is so slow he can not connect to what he has to do. Is there a way you can improve the reception? It just isn’t as good as what we thought it would be. Value wise.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

Slow to load pages, attachments videos, this equipment is installed at my second residence at **. Not only are the download and upload very slow on my laptop. Video streaming on my smart TV or iPhone 5 is totally useless. Will not stream. The system does not work as promised. It is no better than the Frontier DSL that I got rid of.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

Fast internet, excellent service, would recommend to my friends and family, fast installation. Great customer service and the installer was prepared and very helpful and knowledgeable, my only regret is that my family didn’t get internet service sooner, keep up the good work.

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2022

Slow connectivity and download speed. Many times the internet disconnects and has to switch from 2g to 5g or visa versa. Matter of fact when I tried to send this message the connection was lost x2. We only got HughesNet because there were no other internet service available.

Contract & TermsOnline & App

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

Download speeds are nothing like we was told. The app I downloaded on my phone is terrible. First day of our new billing cycle it showed we had used 11% of our not so high speed internet. Now I’m stuck in a 2 year contract with this very poor service.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

So far so good. We are enjoying our service and enjoy having good internet. Thanks for good customer service and the installation gentleman was awesome. Quality of service is great! Proud of help from ordering to installation. Timing of installation was great and understanding. He showed us everything we needed to know

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

Buffering frequently when trying to watch a movie on prime video. It doesn't happen when watching Netflix. I have nothing else using WiFi. What's the problem? I need help with this problem. Why is this happening. I don't have any else on using WiFi. Could you guys help me with this problem. That's why the low rating. Fix this and I will give you a higher rating. I will be happy to watch a movie without all the buffering. Thank you in advance for fixing this problem.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

I was very pleased with y'all's service and installation. And the technician was very understanding about my situation. I tried for a long time to get service out here. From local companies and they couldn't help. My sister gave me a flyer that was put on her door. By y'all. Thanks again.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

Ever since we have voice phone there have been problems. I have called several times to get it fixed. Right now we can not call or receive any calls. We do have a dial tone, but then it immediately says our internet may be out. That is not the problem as we do have internet. So please look into this and FIX it.

Sales & MarketingPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

Salesperson pressured me to buy services and capacity that I did not want. Then at the end when he read our "deal", he snuck in an unwanted and unmentioned service for McAfee Web Security. Then I received a bank charge for $2.43 on 12/23/2021 unexplained and unauthorized. Furthermore, the service is slow and inadequate. I will recommend HughesNet's competitors to others. My dumb mistake.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2022

In and out of service always and it's not unlimited for the cost. And it run out too fast for kids that in school for they work and it don't connect to any of they school computer. I think the Hughes is for someone who dont have kids in school and etc.

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2022

The gentleman that came out and hooked everything up was very polite. He called to let me know when he would be there and when he was close to my house. He asked for things if needed. I would definitely go thru them again if I had to.

CoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2022

I am disappointed in the quality of internet service we receive from HughesNet. The connection speed is too slow. Videos are fuzzy and constantly loading. With the funds that the federal government has given to internet companies to enhance coverage to rural areas there should be better access than this.

Installation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2022

More than double the price of CenturyLink...much slower internet service....and misinformed re former land line number porting. I wasn't informed that I'd need an extra satellite dish installed. Overall if I had to do it again I would never choose Hughesnet.