1.03/5

1and1

135 1&1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2019

I request a cancellation for service on February. I see that they are still charged me on March and April. I contacted them and they said, "Yes you requested cancellation but it is not cancelled." Then, they cancelled my account but did not refund the March and April invoices. I send email but they send negative respond. It is like a fraud and scam.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I haven't been a customer since January 2019. In April, they tried to bill a credit card I canceled for service I no longer have with them. They have sent me threatening emails and when I tried to resolve this over the phone with them, everyone I spoke to had something different to say. The only thing we agree upon is that I no longer have an account with them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My domain was shut down & I was blacklisted because 1R$1 allowed a spammer to open up 2 emails in my name without my permission & said spammer was trying to fraudulently take money from people. 1&1 states they sent me over 50 emails regarding this, but I didn’t receive any. I called in February to renew my domain, they took my money, gave me my domain & did not tell me about these 2 email accounts or that they were being used to spam. So today when I call to see why my domain isn’t working they tell me. Obviously I’m shocked. I understand they have to protect their company but, the way the staff spoke with me - as if I was a criminal was abhorrent!

When I asked for more details so I could file a police report they told me I was not their customer anymore. I spoke with 3 different staff members including a supervisor- all 3 need to go to a sensitivity training, as well as training on people skills. 1 staff even had the audacity to tell me “there’s No supervisor on site for you to speak with”. My last call concluded with them telling me I had to email their legal department to get more information on the mail logs I need to give to police- should be interesting to get a response from a company who states they’ve been emailing me for 3 years?! Bad Business 1&1. Bad Business.

Original review: April 9, 2019

They were billing me for a product I never asked. Plus never answer your email in time. My business down for 2 days (still down) and they never return me!!! Worst company I ever work with! I will move my all domains to the another company!

Original review: April 7, 2019

This company sent me to collections for $21.57 for a service they did not deliver. I canceled my service with them, they took my website down then continued to bill me. When I stopped payment, they sent me to collections to months that I had canceled and the website was down. What kind of company sends you to collections for services NOT delivered? 1&1 IONOS is a website company I recommend you stay away from. This is a fraudulent activity and should be reported to the FTC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1&1?

Original review: April 6, 2019

Alright, so I have 5 domain and web hosting with them but only 1 website is working. I have almost spoke with everyone but they really don't know how to run their server forms.. Each and every day I am trying to resolve the issue but they really don't know what to do anymore and their servers are down/not responding to port over GoDaddy's server.. NOTE: if you are looking to transfer register your domain. Had batter think twice and mentally prepare to be a **.. They all want money. Other than that really don't give a **.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I want to start first by saying I've done business with the original and many variations and changes to 1&1 over many years, spent thousands of dollars on urls, websites, and more. Dealt with billing, service teams, had challenges (not that technical) and always in the end been satisfied. Last fall, I fell behind on payments which caused my account to lock which meant I couldn't manage auto renews and cancellations and after a few months of back and forth they sent me to collections (during times of their two company merging, it seems).

Anyway, I paid a substantial and overdue balance to gain access and control to manage my domains and now almost all like 99% are gone since they cancelled my contract and they are not giving them back. THIS IS INCLUDING AND MOST INFURIATING THE DOMAINS PREPAID BEFORE THE BILLING HICCUPS FOR ONE OR TWO YEARS - so they hadn't expired and were prepaid by me - how can they take them? As I have called and emailed repeatedly, the most I'm hearing is - "if it's not too late and in certain instances, you could buy them back through us and go ahead and pay for another year!" What wtf what? If this is the final outcome - they are thieves and are taking the benefits of my years of paying for urls that are mine.

I recently have begun to correspond with a manager who I understand may be able to help if there is any possible - we'll see. Yes, I paid very very late - and perhaps lost should have lost those domains that I paid too late on but how could they/can they not return my prepaid unexpired domains - except if they are trying to take advantage of me and if by accident during the chaos of a merger - then why will no one straighten out this mishap. Once a happy customer now not so sure in Michigan.

Original review: April 3, 2019

So first I had issues with actually hosting my website, I paid for help and got nowhere fast. I am not a newbie at building websites and have hosted sites myself on my own server so basically they PURPOSEFULLY, make it confusing and difficult so you have to pay more for their help. Then when I canceled I started getting emails stating that it was due to auto renew. Um, I just canceled so why is it due to auto renew? So you have to go to the site again, clicking the link they give you to stop auto renew. I look and there is NOTHING stating it is being auto-renewed, it says it is being canceled. Which is what I did MONTHS ago, so no this isn't a matter of them sending out an auto-renew notice before my cancellation took effect. What I've learned is that this company will lie about anything to get your money. Please don't waste your time or money! If you are new to building and hosting sites, go to WIX. If you are not go to GoDaddy.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Very bad customer service experience, they do not realize that they are running servers that businesses rely on, I would never trust them to run my websites. I have been with them for several years, and unfortunately they are getting worse in support every year. I got an email about security warning that my server has a security threat, and they took my server offline, it's been almost 3 weeks of back and forth emails trying to get access back to my server without any help from their side, security team are not responsive nor helpful, and support team says I need to contact the security team.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was with 1and1 for several years. Over that time they would charge ambiguous fees insisting for "upkeep". When they couldn't explain what they were actually for I canceled my membership. They had my site down in a matter of minutes but continued to charge me. I disputed it on PayPal who said there was nothing I could do since at some point they had access to my account even though I changed my email address just to avoid this. 1and1 said they couldn't figure out how to refund me and that I would have to give them an authorization for an all new autopay to refund me. Obviously that was a scam. I'm furious and they don't care.

1&1 Company Information