3.9/5 (557 ratings)

About Ionos by 1&1

Ionos by 1&1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ionos by 1&1?

Original review: March 2, 2022

Deceptive pricing & poor support. Initially cost about half as much as competitors, ended up paying 3x as much as better web host services. Their support "team" also doesn't know how to properly communicate via phone or email. Definitely would NOT recommend.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have a domain contract with them. Paid in full. Due to expire in 4 months. They locked it because I reported some fraudulent charges on my account. They created another contract for website now.. I never signed up for or authorized them to charge my cc. NOW, they LOCKED my paid in full contract for my domain. That is a breach of contract. They got paid for a service they are failing to provide.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

My assistant failed to pay an invoice. I received 0 emails or phone calls in regards to this issue. I called to resolve the issue immediately once I realized my email was shut down by IONOS (host). My business relies on email and I can’t go without it. I wait 20 min on hold when I’m greeted by and outsourced rep. He sends me a PayPal link which I pay immediately mind you my invoice is for 36.00. Once paid I call back. They then tell me I won’t have access to my email for 3 to 5 days. I tell them this is unacceptable. Not because I’m entitled but because I have proof I paid. I have a receipt, I have my account showing the money was taken and I just need my email turned on. I’m then informed that I apparently know more than them. I ask if I need to escalate. He tells me it’s pointless. I ask if I need to transfer my service he says to go ahead. I leave the phone call utterly disgruntled.

I call back the next day. Wait on the phone 30 min to talk to someone. No one is willing to help me. I send an email explaining that every hour I go without email is money lost in my business. I get no response. All over $36.00. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere where they value customer service and experience over the dollar. I’ll be transferring my service ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I purchased a business hosting package, $72 deducted. It was only activated for two months and then my account was suspended due to canceling a card from the bank. I asked to activate the account. He told me to pay 10 dollars and he will return and the only method of payment is PayPal. After paying, nothing was returned. I asked for 60 dollars to be refunded because I only used it for two months, it was rejected

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I have been a customer of 1and1, now Ionos for over 10 years. They have always offered Business development products/ Internet marketing services that never work. I have used them for hosting for 10 years also. I have an issue with a Business listing for 1 of my 2 accounts where a customer service representative set one up incorrectly using the wrong business name and have tried several times to fix this issue to no avail. I called them recently to see if they would listen to reason because I did not get any benefit from that 2nd listing whatsoever. Essentially, it violates Fair Billing laws here in the US and they basically told me to kick rocks. So I discovered today 1/20/2022 that someone messed with the DNS settings for my website making my website unavailable. This is what you have here.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

They sent me an email letting me know I have upcoming charges for a domain and I have three days to cancel the domain. I tried logging into cancel and they locked my account! I tried all my avenues to try to log back in and create a new password and it just kept taking me back to an error page. I tried emailing and calling customer service seven times just to be on hold. Still no luck getting through to them and disputing charges with my bank. Run away. Do not go with this company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

They are a company of thieves. months ago I ordered a dedicated server for a project, but the project was canceled and therefore I ordered to cancel the server, according to the panel the server was canceled and my account was deleted, three months later I find a surprise in my Paypal account of 65 usd, which is the price of the server. To my understanding, the cancellation had already been processed, but it wasn't, the account was still active in the background so they never did their job. I talk to the billing, cancel and support department, and they tell me that they cannot return the money for their 1 month policy and that had already passed three months. I do not recommend that company, they are thieves and liars.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Misleading and scam like with payment. Bad customer service. Attracts people with low domain price but has an auto-renewal option sneakily set at a much higher rate, not told upfront on purchase. I got a $1 domain for my school project and didn't see the auto-renewal option set as it's takes many steps to check and I wasn't told about it. A year later on the exact date of purchase the auto-renewal kicks in and I get an email saying I owe $15,000 - yes to my shock I check the website and call - turns out to be a typo and it was $15 - I only got the email bc my card has expired in that year and they couldn't charge me.

I explained to customer service that I'd like to cancel as I don't need the domain anymore and paying $15 for the whole next year would be redundant - but they adamantly refused and gave some excuse of using a third party they they already paid for and cannot get back the money - This was on the exact date of renewal mind you. After numerous emails, they kept harassing me so I just paid it off. A company as big as them fighting for $15 from some shady tactics such as this is just disgusting. I've had smaller companies waiver bigger fees on reasonable grounds such as these. I'm sure they trick many other people in the same way and catch them with renewal fees as a means of making an extra buck. If I could give no or minus stars I would. I do not recommend using their "service".

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

If I could explain this company in one word that would be scam. The production server crashed after a few weeks and no sort of troubleshooting would work from my side. The customer support provided 0 help and always had an attitude. When I canceled the contract, they still kept charging my credit card, again the customer service did nothing about this. There is no option to remove credit cards, so they steal your information without your consent. I eventually had to cancel the card to stop them from scamming me. The cheap price may look attractive at first, but they earn a lot more by their scam tactics.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

A company that steals your money, do not try to deal with them, they will take your money and terminate the contract with you as soon as the payment is completed and you will not get it back. Loser. Loser.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Ionos is a fraudulent company. Even though I have cancelled auto renewal, they keep charging my cards. Look at the chat.

Mariel S.
I already turn off the autorenewal of these domains data786.com, dragbi.com, look22.com.

2:24 PM

Still they keep charging money. Of course I am reporting this to every place and dragging them to court. This is no joke to steal money from customers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I'm Frustrated! Worst decision I've ever made. I've been trying to point my domain at GoDaddy from few days but their system failed. The domain status is "UPDATING" at Ionos.com. I contacted to support. They reset my domain settings by telling it would take 24 to 48 hours to rest. It's "STUCK". After that, I've to wait more 24 to 48 hours to point my website at GoDaddy. It was already stuck in updating from their side, and they resets. Which will take more days to update and still I don't know it'll gonna work or not, still waiting, my domain "clickkaro.pk" and "aramsaay.pk". Also I've to wait for their working hours if they don't operate 24 hours.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I purchase domain and hosting promotion plan from Ionos.com by 1&1 by my Visa debit card. When I paid amount I receive receipt from Ionos.. but when I log in its fails. I try again and again but failed. When I chat Ionos chatbox he say that I have no record against your email.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

The absolute worst experience anyone could ever have with a host. Our website was hacked with a brute force in June not long after launching a donation portal. I requested assistance from Ionos second tier support but never heard back from them. After months of trying to determine what to do, since somehow my website was routing to a shill credit union site in Minnesota and forwarding to a cryptocurrency site and others that I won't mention, I deleted my entire server EXCEPT for the hidden files that I could not delete and Ionos refused to delete which were in the log files that the hacker FTPd the code and the several files that were hidden by ionos and that they would not delete (hidden files admitted by an ionos rep). I lost months of time and, I am sure, a lot of donations due to this cluster ** of a company. Stay very far way from them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I hired this Ionos Company for a website design. I gave them content, They cut most my content. Used inferior fonts and design. For the next few months, they promised to fix it but not a single piece of work was done or even attempted. Over the course of these four months, 80% of my calls to Ionos were either unanswered or disconnected, sometimes after multiple transfers. Every "successful call" ended with "I will get back to you" and that never happened.

In my view they were stalling so enough time would pass that I could not claim a refund from my VISA card. Apparently they rely on a "our service is non refundable" and apparently that includes never having completed the service. I have never been disappointed in my VISA Card before but they decided against me even though the work was never completed MUCH LESS completed in any capable manner. IONOS started with a low price, but I learned the hard way their quantity of quality is in negative numbers. Is that even possible? They stole from me. Let The Buyer Beware.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I started 2 domains for a friend who was not sure how to do this. They were on discounted first year of 99 each. I received invoices monthly saying that there was a £0.00 monthly charge until I received the final one saying there would be a £36 monthly charge. I immediately cancelled auto renewal and received an email saying they would not be renewed. I then receive a Paypal invoice for £36 3 days later to Ionos by 1&1.

I then contact them and find that they send out their invoice post event so the renewal was already taken from my credit card, even though they stated in the email that the renewal would no longer happen. They then tell me in their terms and conditions that the fee is non refundable. After a long telephone conversation with 2 of their employees I eventually get the hosting package money back reducing it by £7. This was a fight as the first employee tried to imply that nothing could be done. I would not recommend working with this company & suggest reading other reviews as I wish I had first. It may be just my way of thinking but their emails suggest they are informing you prior to taking your money and give you alternatives if you don't want to have the money taken. Actually the deal is done and your money has gone and there is nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

As a former employee of both GoDaddy.com and BlueHost.com as well as the 2 largest ISP's in America, this company is embarrassing. I know how long they've been around and the ineptitude coupled with the devious sales page for something as simple as a domain purchase is bare minimum without decency. After trying to navigate the mess of invoices and contracts listed in my account, I believed I had canceled my subscriptions, of which I didn't formally agree to in the first place. Then after multiple attempts to charge my account I get an email stating I now owe 4x the amount for a product I never chose or wanted. Calling on the weekend, the representative sent me an email to call again during the week to cancel what should already be canceled. It's so heartbreaking the way we have learned to treat other humans for the sake of a few bucks.

Resolution response: July 12, 2021

This problem has been resolved but according to their bad support, I give 3 stars.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I had to order on this fraudulent site a domain name and a web hosting. And for several days I have been charged on my credit card but still nothing. They blocked the hosting and I try to talk with them via the chat and they do not even answer. The support is really horrible... Too bad you can't give 0 stars otherwise I would have given them without hesitation... This is my first order on their site and I am disappointed with their service. I am very disappointed. Moreover I don't even have the possibility to have my money back. This service is just losing its credibility for nothing at all after so many years of service. It's really deplorable... I lost my money with them but I hope that my comment can prevent many other people from being so badly scammed...

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have been a computer consultant to Law Firms for over 30 years. I deal with Domain Name hosting, maintenance of DNS records, domain name transfers on at least a weekly basis. I have done SCORES of domain name transfers. IONOS is the first company I have EVER seen who deleted the DNS records in their system when a Domain name transfer is INITIATED instead of when it is COMPLETE. It's a swift kick in the rear on your way out the door with a steel toed boot.

The result is that you are left with NO ACTIVE DOMAIN ON THE INTERNET, meaning you can no longer receive email until you sort it out, and it requires a lot of hassle with the destination registrar. HINT: if you leave IONOS, make sure you carefully, MANUALLY DOCUMENT ALL your DNS records (thankfully I always do that just in case) AND, before you go, set the domain registrant email addresses all for a domain that is NOT the domain you are transferring - or, like me, you will find yourself unable to finalize the domain transfer via email confirmation because you will have no MX records pointing to your email server. It's like being stuck in irons (sailing reference). It SUCKS. These guys SUCK. They didn't even wait 12 hours before they deleted the DNS records from the time the transfer was initiated by the new registrar.

Original review: June 16, 2021

IONOS by 1&1 » SCAMMING Hosting Provider| RIPP OFF Websites. Domains. Server. SCAMMERS. WILL RIP YOU OFF. BEWARE. IONOS SCAMMERS beware. The brand by 1&1 for SCAMMING CUSTOMERS websites, domains, server and more — Your leading webhost SCAMMER ONLINE and partner in specialist cloud solutions. The Filipinos need to make money for answering their calls 24/7. They bill your account even after you cancel your contract. I have been billed almost $400 and every time you cancel a contract they still debit your credit card. DO NOT TRUST IONOS.CA OR IONS.COM.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I currently have several domain names hosted with this company, and two of the domains I chose not to renew. However, my account is now suspended and being held hostage for $75 for the renewal of those two domains. I called support and was told to "read the fine print in their terms and conditions". Then he further stated that I should have clicked the button not to renew. Honestly, I completely forgot about the domains and did not click that button as it had been a year and simply forgot...I mean, it was only a pandemic right? So this part can be debated.

Where the REAL issue is... they have suspended my ENTIRE account and holding the domains that are in good standing and PAID FOR hostage as well. They have "locked" them....so I can't do anything with those either. This is where it seems to be illegal to block something that you have already paid for and there is no outstanding balance. This is unscrupulous and I have filed several complaints with various agencies for their "strong-arm" tactics. Beware of this company, and if you decide to do business with them... don't forget to read the "fine print"!

Original review: June 2, 2021

My credit card on file expired but rather than contact me to let me know they locked my account and sent it to collections, after I found out I called them to pay the balance but they refused to accept payment telling me I would have to call the collections agency and pay them, this I will not do, they made no effort to contact me prior to sending this to collections and that is on them, the person I talked to on the phone was rude and condescending making the issue worse, I will never use their service again and warn everyone I know not to use them.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Support is incredibly bad at Ionos. If you're Canadian, you will not be able to use ANY online support. When you login for support, it goes to the.com site and when you click on the support it tells you to login and then brings you to the .ca site. So then you click on support and it brings you back to the .com site, telling you to login. You can get support on the phone, but they honestly don't know what they are doing. The representative was trying to tell me you don't get one year of renewal with a domain transfer...

And then they just auto charged my account without asking me, putting a domain I transferred over there and just renewed it for an extra year without asking. I was starting to move all my domains over to Ionos but lucky I figured out how bad they were before I did so. Just moving them out. Use this company at your own risk. I'm sitting on the phone for over an hour waiting for a rep to answer, then they shuffled me to another person.. so I had to wait even more... All for a $20 charge I never asked for.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I first moved my website away from 1&1 due to issues, but left email. That was a mistake. Nobody on Hotmail ever gets my emails, my entire business is email based, and their servers are constantly on blacklists. Recently, one email account out of a dozen was sending spam due to a virus on a colleague's laptop. They didn't just lock down that email account or ask me to change the settings or password. They locked down my entire IONOS account, affecting every single email. My business was dead in the water. The guy on the phone seemed utterly inept, put me on hold for forever, couldn't get hold of anyone on 'security' and told me it would be locked down like this for 24-48 hours. Completely unacceptable. The second I had access to my account again, I moved everything elsewhere. I have no idea how this company is so big.

Original review: May 24, 2021

This domain registrar offered $3 domain transfer in fees for .info domains. Turns out that's $3 per month, not $3 per first year, and they setup recurring charges with Paypal. I cancelled the recurring charges. They will not unlock the domain for transfer out until at least 60 days, so they will get me for another $3 per domain, but that's it. What a scam outfit!

Original review: March 28, 2021

So I decided to look at Ionos since they offer some nice hosting packages and bought a domain/hosting combo package. They have auto-renew on all their features so I wanted to switch that off. None of the cancel auto-renew buttons work. At first, I figured it's fine, let me try again later. A few days later they still don't work but I decided to play around first.

I created a website and checked out their dashboard. A few days later over the weekend, I start receiving emails of dozens of login attempts on the site that I created- they said that the IP address that tried to log in with the wrong password was banned. I ignored it because I was busy. I then log in again on a Sunday to check out the site again. The entire site I built was wiped. So strange- what's the purpose of having a hosting provider like that? So I decided to give up and cancel the whole package since I'm on the 30-day money-back guarantee. Guess what, though? The cancellation feature on their site does not work. It takes you through to the last page and says "We are sorry. An error has occurred." I've now blocked them via PayPal. Hope that works. Will try to cancel again later. Utterly pathetic, though. Complete scam.

Original review: March 26, 2021

My account got locked and when I called their security team. He didn't hear me out and told me "Don't call us back" on my very first call. I've been using 1&1 for a very long time and I never had this type of service ever. I would never use this again.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I have order one domain .pk. They are detect $10 in my credit card even I received receipt from IONOS but if still domain not register and show status setting up and if I check invoice & payment there is no any transaction or receipt. I tried to remove my payment method they are save my credit details. It not canceling. They can detect any amount any time so please don't trust on this website. If someone worry about payment details so just there is one solution block your debit/credit card otherwise you are not secure.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Placed an order for domain. After not receiving it I complaint to their customers care. They told that I'll receive an confirmation email within 24hr. No email, No domain. They're scamming people. Be aware. Try to post or share this on every social media and spread awareness about this fraud company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

This company is finding ways to take fees from you on issues that comes with their product. My admin panel and my site was down and I was not able to login to my website to fix it. I called my admin to fix the issue and she was not able to login to the site too so she contacted the company on chat service they have. The support team said that there are no ways for her to login to fix the issue with the SSL. (This was a plugin added to the product that was never active) somehow that inactive plugin caused the site to be blocked (ways for them to get your money). The agent on chat was not supportive (of course that's what you get from offshore agents). They started selling other products like (you need to get SSL cert $20 value) and that "we will need an admin on our side to login to the backend to check the issue" and that was $35.

With Frustration and no option to resolve, my admin agreed for $35 charge and to get the SSL cert for another 20. These guys came back and charged 90$ and additional 35$ and when I asked they said, 35 to check and 35 to fix. What a rip off. I tried maybe 6 times to contact their support center to talk to a manager and every time I ask for a manager, they put me on long hold and the line get disconnected all of a sudden. I sent emails to their support and they keep sending me a message that their admin will contact me. I don't know how to report this company.

Ionos by 1&1 Company Information