2. Automotive

USAA Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5
Based on 1,450 ratings submitted in the last year

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

PROS

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

CONS

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the experience part for the customer in mind with every transaction… I am reassured that USAA is right for my needs.

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not only for the insurance, but helping in car shopping! Love this company!

USAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I recently had occasion to file my first (and hopefully last) accident claim with USAA. It was a comprehensive claim resulting from damage to my vehicle due to rocks coming from a dump truck ahead of me on an Interstate highway. I have front and rear dashcams, so there was no doubt that I was not at fault. I was about four seconds behind the truck (not tailgating), and there was nothing I could have done to prevent the truck from dropping rocks.

USAA closed the claim in less than 24 hours, and I am officially not at fault. The windshield is being replaced at no cost, I received my check for the damages (less my deductible) a few days after I filed the claim, and USAA is going after the trucking company to get my deductible back. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and efficient.

I'm sure that the video helped make this an open-and-shut case. My point is that once they knew that everything happened exactly the way I'd said it did, they acted quickly to resolve the claim in my favor. No dilly-dallying, no premium increase, no trying to weasel their way out of paying, none of that. They saw what happened, immediately decided I was not at fault, and did the right thing.

I get offers for quotes from every insurance company around whenever my policy is up for renewal. I throw them out because none of them have ever come in at less than twice what I'm paying USAA. But now that I've seen the way they handle claims, I won't even open those offers from other companies anymore. They'll go right in the shredder. Low premiums and great service? I'd have to be crazy to switch. If you're a veteran or an eligible family member of a USAA member, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Original review: July 30, 2020

USAA has been the very best car and housing insurance company I have ever used in my 50+ years of driving, I am now 76 years old. True, this company mainly insures Military people, both active, inactive or disabled, which in and by itself, has turned out to be an excellent idea. The customer service representatives are knowledgeable, kind, courteous, respectful and work very hard to satisfy your needs or claims.

The claim processes, which I’ve had to make use of a couple of times during my time as a USAA customer, has been easy to use, the easiest I’ve ever run across to file a claim with, and are very honest and reasonable when completing your claim. The time between making a claim and getting the vehicle fixed or your property claim resolved is the best and quickest I’ve ever come across. Their company security, involving your accounts, is excellent. Their website, for the most part, is easy to sign into and to negotiate throughout your entire online account. I repeat, this insurance company is, without a doubt, the very best I’ve ever done business with.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I've had USAA, at different times throughout my life, and have had it for 7 or 8 years straight now. I broke my back in a car accident, an off duty cop pit maneuvered me, and my car hit a wall, during evening rush hour, rolling over 4 times, and his friends issued me a reckless driving ticket. I sent USAA pictures of the damage, gave them my statement about what really happened, before I beat the ticket in court, they sent me my $100k uninsured motorist coverage. I never even asked for it, though they knew I practiced personal injury law for over 30 years.

Then I had a collision, in Death Valley, CA, a cop wrote up a 5 pages, front and back (I never saw this in a multiple traffic death case) stating how the accident couldn't happen, like I said, that the accident had to have happened somewhere else (He actually stated that, "You city slickers always make up that accidents happened here in the desert, when they happened some place else, because you were at fault!"). Yet they paid my over $4,000 in damages, before the investigation by his supervisors resulted in him calling and apologizing for being so belligerent, making him go to counseling, after he was off duty, for 3 weeks, so he could work on his behavior.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I'd been a Esurance customer for many years, and decided to compare companies in an effort to save money. Because of my Veteran status, I was able to get coverage from USAA, and now I save over $30 monthly versus Esurance. I recently was involved in a hit-run accident; no injuries. When I contacted USAA they immediately jumped into action. After describing the incident, they gave me a choice of repair facilities; recommended or I could choose my own. I went with one of their choices. Within an hour, I was contacted by the repair facility; set an appointment; provided pictures and description of damage. USAA also arranged a rental, sending the request directly to Enterprise. This accident occurred on 7-17; dropped the car off on 7-20. A completely stress-free experience.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I have had this company policy for over 50 years. During this time, I have had few accidents, and none serious. Each time, they would recommend car repair company that they use, and as soon as the company heard me say USAA, I had their compete and devised attention. Since this company is made up of military people, and run primarily people, there is a mutual understanding, so we pull together for each other. Additionally, since I am a senior, and have been with them all these years, I received 2 different subscriber's checks every year. And finally, because of the Virus, and the shelter in place situation(a lot less driving), USAA is discounting the monthly premium each month. NO AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY can match the overall benefits of USAA... I no longer even try!! OORAY!!!

Original review: April 9, 2021

My father died December 2020. He had policies with USAA. I have been trying since then to cancel these policies. Each employee I speak with gives different instructions. I have sent documents and they lose them. They say they can't cancel because the notary stamp on the document isn't raised enough. They do not know how to work their phone system - someone called and left her name and extension number. I could not return the call because the telephone system would not allow an extension number. I spoke with an employee, she didn't know what extension numbers were. I have had to report them to the Maryland Insurance Administration and if they send my Dad's account to collections, I will have to hire a lawyer.

Resolution response: April 6, 2021

When this issue was escalated above the offending agent and leadership at USAA made aware of the bad faith aspects of the issue, they immediately put a stop to it. Honesty compels me to note that there is ambiguity in this particular claim and USAA would not be faulted for engaging in a resolution process. The bad faith conduct, however, was stopped and, unsurprisingly, once removed, facilitated an amicable understanding. Appreciate what the leadership did.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I took my 2019 Subaru Forester in for servicing as a National Brand. The mechanic dropped a brake caliper causing a minor leak that he did not disclose. This happened in the middle of the a move, and when the brake light went off, not knowing about any leak, I checked the manual. All that was needed was brake fluid according to the manual. When I checked the fluid, it was at the minimum level - add fluid done. After a few weeks the light went off again. I added more fluid. No problem. Then the brakes failed entirely.

In the course of examining the issue. Two problems were found. One, the caliper had been brake caliper had been dropped and reattached without repair or reporting. At some point, the wrong fluid was added to the brake system. The National Chain offered to cover their cost, leaving the remainder for me and my family. The dealership recently finished repairs on a vehicle in which the owner added oil to his transmission causing it to repair. USAA covered it as part of a comprehensive claim. Dealer recommended I do the same.

My coverage is no-fault comprehensive and specifically states it covers all 'accidents' save those listed in the exclusion section. I have to interject here that I would neither be writing this nor fighting this if USAA had acted with even the pretense of integrity. The USAA agent preemptively denied the claim, verbally stating, "We will cover it," no joke, "If we have to." She then became uncommunicative. She then sent, in writing the following reasons for denial (and bear in mind they just paid out a claim for mixing up fluids).

One, the issue was fair wear and tear and thus excluded. Had the issue been corrupted brake fluid over time, they would be correct. The inadvertent introduction of contaminating fluid is not 'fair wear and tear'. Two, I am a graduate student, but apparently, I am also in the 'auto business'. This is clearly false. I ran this by an attorney, and the policy is clear. Under vandalism provisions stipulated in the policy, someone adding sugar to your gas tank (for example) would be covered. It does not matter whether someone else did it, or whether you accidentally did it. As long as the cause was accidental, i.e. not deliberate, it is covered. I passed this along to USAA.

Now they are denying the claim, and they cannot even come up with a reason why. They are required to stipulate a reason, they have just figured that retired Army Rangers are Pieces of **. Again, I cannot be clearer here. If USAA had acted with a modicum of respect, this would not be happening. I would not be filing suit. I am, because of the atrocious treatment and bad faith conduct that has suffused the issue claim.

Of note, this is part of a much larger issue with USAA over the past few years including, the closing of a line of credit without warning needed to complete the closing on the sale of a house, cancelling (also without warning) a credit card in the middle of a honeymoon that we had used for our line of credit, using a car buying service that screwed up the process and passed the costs along to me and my wife (now cancelled due to similar incidents with multiple customers), and not bothering to respond for three months to a Housing loan request.

Now? They are going out of their way to find reasons to deny a claim, including just denying the claim? I am not sure what happened to these guys, but it's pretty clear they will only respond to lawsuits. Everything short of that is, quite literally, ignored. I regret staying as long as I have with this company, but the straight up lying in my face and the infantilizing behavior are enough. Beware if you do business with USAA.

Original review: March 25, 2021

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY TO DEAL WITH EVER!!! I got hit by their driver on January 25, 2020. It is now March 25, 2020 and my vehicle is still sitting at the shop awaiting approval to be fixed. My car has a custom wrap on it and they sent me to Caliber Collision to get an estimate to fix. NOTE: Caliber Collision DOES NOT handle custom wraps. Caliber quoted me to fix my damages and PAINT my vehicle and advised that I would still need to take it elsewhere to have the custom wrap taken care of. USAA then in turn cut me a check (that I have not cashed) for Calibers estimate which did not include the cost of my custom wrap. I have been doing all the back end work including now having to pay for a rental that they stopped paying for because of the initial and incorrect estimate provided by their preferred shop Caliber Collision.

I am pregnant and stressed out that I'm having to basically argue with USAA to fix my vehicle that their driver hit. Other than the energy and time wasted I'm also out almost $500 because the rental company is charging my credit card. If I return the rental I have no way to get to work resulting in additional losses. AGAIN THEIR DRIVER HIT ME!!! If anyone knows of any attorneys that will help me with this case please respond A.S.A.P. Because I can't deal with this anymore. My USAA Claim#**

Original review: March 15, 2021

I, like many of my fellow Texans, filed a Home Insurance claim following the February Winter Storm that devastated millions across Texas. Due to the recent winter storm, along with a devastating hail storm the year prior, my roof has significant hail damage and has been leaking for over a month now. USAA assigns an adjuster to my home who takes 3 weeks to arrive. When the guy shows up, he doesn't have a ladder, is afraid of heights and doesn't even know it's a roof claim. I call USAA and they tell me they must get a report from the guy before they can do anything. After calling my contractor up who has a ladder I convince my adjuster to go up there with him and take photos my contractor has marked with chalk, he spends 3 minutes on the roof and then quickly comes back down and takes off.

Today I get back the "report" from the adjuster and USAA has approved $300 worth of repairs to my home to simply paint over the water damage. Nothing is mentioned about the roof damage, the fact that WATER IS STILL LEAKING AS I TYPE THIS and that it doesn't fix the leak, it's just masking a problem. My contractor has also stated USAA currently has the worst home insurance rating at the moment in Texas and I can see why. I have water damage occurring to my home that's getting worst and worst and all USAA is telling me to do is pay $300 out of my pocket to paint over the water damage and ignore the water leaking through my roof.

Original review: March 9, 2021

14 years ago USAA was the best, hands down. My liability only policy doubled over the years even though we've not had a ticket or accident in over 20 years. I was informed by USAA that rates are no longer based off of your driving record, it is based on other drivers who have the same car as you that USAA had to pay a claim on. As of today, I had to switch to another insurance company that offered me a full coverage policy with a $0 deductible for a lower rate than what I was paying for liability only through USAA.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information