USAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was really tired and wanted to inquire about my homeowner's insurance. I had already given them my Social Security number before they answer the phone. They asked me what my password was and of course I was tired and I forgot. If all they would have said "What is your mother's maiden name?" I would have said what it was. I didn't have it so then they asked me what my car was. I told them my make and model of my car then the girl precedes to transfer meet somewhere else. So then she asked me a bunch of different addresses I've never heard of before. I told her "no" and then she was asking me about different makes and models of my car one of them is a Honda that I never drive. I told I don't remember what the year was. She said "You want me to put that down?" and I appreciate you tell her yes and then all the sudden you decide you do want to be with me any more. She said I was rude to the last girl that we had talked to which I wasn't and at that point I just lost it.

So then what they do is they go unlock my account out. I call back again and the first guy asked me after I put in my social security number. He asked me "What is your mother's maiden name" as a jockey that at that point they tell me I can't get into my account until I email or fax my social security card and my driver's license. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. I don't even have this kind of a problem getting into my checking account or even my savings account. I spent over an hour on the phone just trying to take care of my car insurance. I am so angry that I just want to quit them completely. Debit card fraud companies don't even put their customers through this bad bad policies. Bad bad customer service. Why do you put in your social security number in the beginning if it's not even going to mean anything? You give him your name and you give him your address. What do they want? Your DNA?

USAA has cheap insurance for military and their families but if you even need their help they are not there. I was involved in a multi-car pile up resulting in my vehicle being totaled. USAA bounced me around between 6 different insurance adjusters (and their teams) and none of them communicated. Every day I was speaking to someone new without notice of the transfer to a new representative explaining the situation. The end result was myself, alone battling every single insurance company involved alone.

This issue took 8 months to resolve before I got a payout. The USAA teams never so much as gave me a phone number to contact a company. After finally working through the various claims I decided to keep USAA, that maybe it was just one bad experience. Now I have an auto payment so obviously I must carry full coverage. The next issue was the USAA rep mishandled my downpayment for the new policy, so I was double billed. USAA will admit to the mistake but will not credit my account. The next issue is their automated billing system does not work. I most recently received a letter in the mail saying that my policy has been overdue and I owe them an $800.00 + payment. I called USAA just to be told "our systems do not always work correctly." To which I have been told I owe them the above amount and there will be no justifications for the fault of the USAA system.

2 years ago I was reared ended by a driver going 30+ MPH while I sat at a stop light. The estimate of damage to my car was $8K!! I had whiplash and a concussion but luckily no other injuries. Little did I know how impacting a concussion could be. I was almost non-functional for the next 2 months. Work was gracious and allowed me to do things while my head could tolerate looking at a terminal. I had no home life at all. Was laid out or managing to get a little work done. This continued for 2-3 months. Following that I had to have physical therapy to get some neck mobility back.

I was forced to use their repair shop which was a sham. They kept my car for 3 weeks (unfortunately it was too valuable to total, even with all that damage!). When I got it back the work was shoddy with screws falling off and the back door squeaking and rattling. Repair shop & USAA would not respond to my calls so I finally called the main USAA number & had them chase my agent down. To this day, my car has not been fixed properly.

In the meantime, the agent was unresponsive, left my case hanging for almost 2 years until the statute had nearly run out and put a high sales pressure on me to settle (the last part I would expect). But not answering my calls? Not willing to make me an offer until 2 years was up? The last offer letter came 2 days AFTER I lost all options to sue. I keep hearing how great they are if you have them. But if you get hit by someone who has them - beware! Get a lawyer right away and let him/her deal with them.

My son was involved in a fender bender on November 4, 2016. A car on the shoulder of the road in a residential area was trying to make a u turn which is illegal. My son slowed down because he wasn't sure if that's what the person in the other vehicle was trying to do. So just to be on the safe side he stopped to let the person go. He waited for about a minute, still the person was undecided, so my son proceeded to continue on his way. Without any turn signal or warning the truck tried to make a u turn and struck and hit the car my son was driving on the passenger's side, causing damage to his door. His door had to be replaced. No police was called.

My son being young and listening to this person in the truck telling him that it was not necessary to call the police, they decided to exchange insurance information and be on their way. BIG MISTAKE. Moving forward one week later, I get a email from the big USAA, telling me that my son fail to yield the right away. ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! Last time I checked, if a vehicle is entering the highway from the shoulder or ramp they are to yield the right away. Moving forward. Week two the case is closed. Tried to call USAA several time to speak with the person who is in charge of my case, nothing. Called him and each time asked him to call me back I got his voice mail and no return call.

USAA is a big fat joke. They didn't bother to do an investigation, or come out and take pictures of the car. They just wanted to close the case and move on to the next case. They take my money each month without a problem. They don't care if the other person is in the wrong, they just want to close the case and raise my insurance premium and keep it moving. I don't think so. I am going to stand up to USAA, which acronyms stands for USELESS, SHAMELESS AND ARROGANT. That's just a nice way of putting it. They are getting rich off of active soldiers and veterans. Maybe we need to start a petition and expose them on CNN for who they really are. Maybe then they will learn to start doing their jobs.

I called today regarding the price of my policy. I have an accident that is no longer surchargeable and wanted to speak about having it removed and my policy lowered. The first person I spoke to told me it would be no problem to fix. I was told it could take longer than 30 minutes to fix the problem and that I should call back when I had more time. I called back and was told that the information I was given earlier was inaccurate and that they were sorry. There was no recommendation about what to do or action taken to fix the problem. After speaking with them for some time I was again told that they would fix the problem as a manager was able to override the problem and asked if they could call me back in 5-10 minutes.

Two hours later (during dinner no less) they called back to say that they were again wrong and there was nothing they could do. I was told that the unknowledgeable staff was a result of "on the job training" and that they were learning. Three different people, three different stories for a simple issue. Excuses for everything. I am so disappointed in this company. It is unacceptable to have such poorly educated employees who are apathetic to the customer about the mistakes that they make. An "I'm sorry" does not recover the $600 that I was told to expect to come off my policy premium.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I think usually we Chinese don't care to write this kind of review, but I still wanna share some info about USAA auto insurance. This group is the worst insurance company I've ever met in United States. I'm not a USAA auto insurance policy holder, I filed the claim with USAA auto insurance group. Date of Loss Nov 2. I call them and maybe 1 days later I received a phone call telling me to go to the collision center to get estimation on Nov 5. The collision center they assigned cannot find my reservation, and they handed up my phone call three times later.

The collision center tell me USAA should be able to receive the estimation by Nov 9. Then I called USAA on Nov 9, then USAA told me the collision center forgot to upload the files onto the online system. I should be able to hear from USAA by Nov 11. But no phone call from USAA, so I called USAA again on Nov 16. They told me they are waiting for the manager to approve, and I should be able to hear from them that date. But it's already Nov 17 right now, still no call from them.

Basically, the only phone call I got from them during the 15 days since the date of loss is the phone call telling me to get the estimation. At that time I asked the representative what's the final decision of that claim. That representative only told me that she do not have the right to tell me anything other than telling me to go to the collision center to get estimation.

I really don't know whether I can finish this claim before Thanksgiving according to their working efficiency. I just wanna say I'm with Geico, they usually will call you back within 5 minutes after you report the loss and they will finalize the claim within 3 days. I don't know how they treat their policyholders, but if you are the one file the claim with them, that's really a pain.

I have had auto insurance with USAA for several years, and I have been a loyal banking customer with them for over 15 years. This last month, I was t-boned. The other driver was declared to have 100% liability for the accident. The other driver had USAA insurance, and I thought, "Oh great, this will make it easy." WRONG! I was out of a car and I notified USAA regarding wanting a rental car...I asked for over THREE weeks about getting a rental car, and they finally told me that they would only pay for 1 week of a rental car (even though the accident wasn't my fault). In addition, my car was determined to be a total loss. They offered me a settlement statement for $5,000 less than ANY comparable vehicle on the market.

I repeatedly tried to contact them via their telephone service. The phone would ring once and go straight to voicemail. I would send them a message online, and then they would respond (sometimes). I cannot believe they can respond online yet can't pick up the phone to talk to me. I asked to speak to a manager and they said it would take 48 hours. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I have sent them multiple comps for cars in the area (for the exact same vehicle, year, mileage, etc)...and they refuse to increase the settlement statement. PLEASE do not use USAA!!! I cannot begin to describe the frustration I have had with this company. It does not advocate for you. I hate to think that this is the way a "company" treats its veterans.

I have had USAA for 30 years. My one and only insurance company. I recently dropped them. They now have a call center approach to claims and are horrible with communication. They prefer to put things on their portal and nobody is actively fighting for your claim, even if it is obvious you aren't at fault. It took my claim 1 year to come to a verdict. And this is with someone running a red light and hitting my truck. Still out of pocket for a rental and that is with having rental coverage. They never went after the other insurance company to pick up an additional rental with my truck being in a shop longer than desired. Did they push for me to stay despite all of my problems with them? No. This company is hot garbage now, and when you need them to come thru, which is why you pay them. Good luck with that. Represent the soldier? That is a joke. They represent their pocket, lined with our money and no results when it matters.

I have had to deal with countless call center employees who do not have a clue on helping out a customer with a problem. All they are concerned with is "when will you be making a payment". I was quoted a price over the phone that was 600 dollars different than it was when my bill was received. Ask to speak to a manager and you are told they will have to get back to you. If I had known the problems I would have in dealing with a faceless business, I would have stayed where I was. Your service has no business being associated with the military families that you claim to be here for. You are no better than any other business stricken with corporate greed. USAA is a disgrace to all who served.

We were involved in an accident with a USAA policyholder. They sent a denial letter without even contacting us! How can you "complete an investigation" without talking to both parties involved. When I called, the adjuster said he had left a message on my voice mail which was a complete lie. I didn't even have a missed call from them let alone a voice message. This company is a joke & was a horrible experience!!!

USAA banking keeps switching around their debit card providers. So, they said they were going to send me a new one in the mail and it never came. So I wake up this morning and my current debit card is turned off (without warning, actually that's not true. I received an email 42 days ago that the card would be turned off in 45 days...yes I did the math with "Melissa" on the phone) and I had to call and have them "expedite" a new debit card (2-3 business days). They refused to overnight the debit card. So now I'm without a money for 2-3 days, but they are sorry.

My 2014 Jaguar XF was hit last week parked in front of my house, and today it was totaled with over $22,OOO in damages. I spent a lot of money on rims, tires, rotors, and numerous exterior painted mods. The accident was not my fault but when I talked to USAA they stated that they don't think I would be compensated for the items and work I had done to my car, which by the way I have receipts for the work and accessories. USAA was at one time I considered a great insurance company but now over the past few years they have put corporate profit ahead of the consumer which is really a shame. All I want is that they do the right thing concerning a valued customer. And they would not return calls concerning my totaled claim.

BEST ADVICE WHEN DEALING WITH USAA LAWYER UP! This company is a freaking joke! My car got totaled by a USAA customer which they were at fault! I have been dealing with a claim now for over a year! I don't even know where to start. I got ripped off for the settlement on my car. I was offered a rental but did not tell me for how long. Needless to say I got screwed with a $400 rental car bill that I have yet to get reimbursed for the year and a half I have been fighting with them over this settlement. My car got totaled out so had to purchase a new one so now I'm $18k in debt for a new car. I submitted a bill for over $1300 for sales tax and title fees on a new car which they refuse to pay!

Don't EVER expect to get a quick response. When you send a email expect it to take a month to get a response! If you call expect to get a answering machine every time! HORRIBLE customer service! Unless you feel like wasting your time sending thousands of emails and a ton of phone calls to get your claim settled just lawyer up NOW! I wished I would have read the reviews on this company from the beginning! I can now see why they are a 2 star company! I have been dealing with this claim for a year and half now and still no results! This company is pathetic! LAWYER UP NOW!

We've been USAA customers for many years - auto, credit card, homeowners and rental property insurance. Used to be you could always reach customer service, and they were fantastic. NO MORE!!! I don't know if they've sold the company or what. First, had minor car accident. We were advised by one representative that we should have automatically had accident forgiveness added to our account since we'd never had a claim - but it hadn't been done. SO, zonked for higher premiums.

As far as credit card - our account has been fraudulently accessed on FIVE separate occasions in about two years. Can never get in touch with USAA any longer without waiting forever. Tired of having to constantly change cards and change all of our automated monthly payments. This latest time was issued a new card - called two days ago to activate it and was advised their system was down so they couldn't active it. Just logged on to try activating, and received message "There are no cards available for you to activate." Researching new companies for all accounts!!!

I have insured with USAA in the US and overseas since 1972. I have read many of the (low-ranking for the most part) reviews of others and have to say my experience, both in auto, liability and personal property ("renters") cover is good. I agree that as the firm has grown over the decades it has - like other financial services firms - become impersonal and liable to make mistakes. It is not the cheapest carrier, at least not anymore. Some of the reviews complain of poor service to persons whose cars were hit by USAA-insured drivers: I cannot comment on such third-party relationships.

Over the 44 years that I have been a member, I consider that I have been treated with courtesy, efficiency and fairness. There have been, to be sure, problems - but outside the scope of this topic: USAA as a financial services provider no longer sells investment products (IRAs, mutual funds, etc.) to non-military, non-USG employee families residing abroad.

As I write this I am facing, dealing with a rental car company over apparent minor damage to paint of the fender of a hired car: covered under the collision insurance of my own vehicle insured by USAA Ltd. It's a weekend and I've not found anyone in San Antonio capable of telling me what to do. That doesn't make me happy, but neither is it reason to lower my rating for USAA: it's scarcely a crisis. The rented car was parked in a shopping centre, nobody was injured, the loss is small.

By contrast, years ago when my car's tire suffered a blowout and the car was totaled with 5 persons aboard, and only by luck was nobody injured, USAA's service was magnificent. They covered the customs duty on the car, reminded me that I had cover for damaged property in the car, and more. So: I would read with care and take in context 1-star complaints about this firm. It has, indeed, lost character and accessibility as it has grown from total concern with military & diplomatic officers to a more general clientele. But it remains a great firm to do business with.

Back in October, 2015 I was parked at Walmart lot. After shopping and approaching my car, I realized someone has caused damage to my rear quarter panel of my car. I called the police and file a report. They and I could only speculate "hit-and-run"; no vehicle was found. After reviewing my USAA policy, I noted that the policy did not note "hit-and-run" on my collision clause definition. I argued with USAA about contract specific terms requirements, and they dictated that the clause was standard industry practice. I am preparing to sue USAA for breach of contract (vague and ambiguous).

In my legal research, I have learned that the insurance industry commonly practice vague and ambiguous wording in their contracts/policy so that the insurance can dictate any or all terms and conditions after the policy has been issued. And guess what, the Missouri State Insurance Division lets them get away with it. State insurance protection agency have no legal background and make no legal judgments.

So ask yourself, "Why is the taxpayer paying these state agency if they CANNOT DO NOTHING?" Of course, USAA attorneys know this and that is why this country's state law coerce insurance mandates and the insurance companies get rich. I am surprise other insurance companies allow USAA to endorse government soldiers, because they are just another bureaucratic commercial insurance company that take profits over coverage. Oh yeah, they tried to pie me off with a 23 dollar check. (What am I suppose to do with that, wash the damage off my car?)

My vehicle was involved in an accident on the 4th of October. Not my fault, it was the other driver who was at fault. On the 13th I dropped my vehicle off at my mechanic and picked up the rental vehicle that is covered by my insurance. It is now the 25th of October and my vehicle still has not been finished getting repaired. And they are refusing to extend my rental for 2 extra days.

Now this makes no sense to me whatsoever. When my car was damaged (passenger side of vehicle both front and back doors side swiped) the company that was disclosed by USAA to purchase the new doors for my vehicle sent over USED AND DAMAGED doors. My mechanic sent the doors back to the company and was told that those are the only doors that they had in stock. So my mechanic had to find another vendor to purchase a new set of doors. So the delay in repairs has nothing to do with my mechanic. It has to do with USAA providing a SHODDY company who provided my mechanic with FAULTY doors and they're refusing to acknowledge anything on their end.

Anyways, I was called by Enterprise on the 21st and told that I have to return my rental vehicle on the 25th. Immediately I contacted USAA and they told me don't worry I will be extended and covered by insurance. The day of, however, I get a call from Enterprise saying to return the vehicle. I then contact USAA and get told "no you're not going to be extended. Return vehicle."

At this point I'm confused. I was told that I would be able to get an extension on my rental vehicle by my insurance company just 4 days prior. A few minutes later my mechanic contacts me and says that he got off of the phone with members from USAA and they told him that I don't need to worry about the rental vehicle because everything is processed. Meaning I can keep vehicle until the 28th. Which is the day my vehicle will be done with repairs. I tell him that I just got off of the phone with them and he advised me to contact them immediately. Which I did. And they told me no I would not be covered for an extension because of the delay in repairs.

I then contacted my mechanic once more and told him what was relayed to me and he explains the door situation. So once more I contacted USAA and the representative tells me "you will be covered for an extension until the 28th." They later call me back and say that they are sending my account details to their manager for review. Because they are unsure if they can extend my rental vehicle.

I spent the entire day back and forth with my mechanic and USAA only for me to get the WORST customer service. Representatives were refusing to give me their extensions so that I couldn't call them back. They THEN CALL MY MECHANIC AND TELL MY MECHANIC TO TELL ME THAT THEY HAVE A RECORDED CONVERSATION stating that they told me not to drop off my car until all parts were ordered and at the shop. They said that I picked up the rental vehicle on the 11th of October before I dropped off my personal vehicle on the 13th of October. Which is a complete lie. I picked up my rental vehicle the exact day that I dropped off my personal vehicle which is in fact on the 13th of October.

I am 21 years old and I NEED my vehicle for work purposes. I live too far from my job to rely on public transportation. No matter how many times I have expressed my frustrations with the representatives I get absolutely nowhere. I don't feel that anybody who pays for service should be treated this way. I make my payments on time every month. I have been a great driver. No accidents prior to this incident. But this is absolutely unacceptable. Nobody deserves this. They have been giving me the runaround all day long. And at this point I am just returning the vehicle.

I spoke with Enterprise and they were understanding and allowed me to keep the vehicle one more day. Free of charge. So I will be returning later today October 26th 2016. I cannot believe that this is the service that I pay for monthly. I am currently looking for a new insurance company. An insurance company that actually values their customers.

USAA used to be such an awesome company. They are HORRIBLE now. Do not even think about using them. I have been a customer for decades. I could count on one hand the number of claims I have filed in all those years. Recently, my car was damaged while I was out of town. When I filed the claim, USAA insisted that the cracked windshield was a separate incident, even though it was right in the corner where all of the other damage was, they wanted to insist that it could have happened some other way, and that if I didn't have security camera footage, then I had no proof. I am in shock.

They were horrible and evasive throughout the entire process. They sent an appraiser from another state, and he spent all of 5 minutes looking at my car and then the garage acted like they were afraid to write a supplement for the additional damage they found. It was such a horrible experience I am going to cancel and find another company, and I have been with them for over 30 years. I don't know what has happened to good business in this country. Everyone is out to cheat the customer, even the one company that I still thought was worth the money I pay them. Sad.

I pay for accident forgiveness monthly and my daughter had 1 accident 3 years ago which was covered. A month ago I hit an object and it hit my neighbor's back window which required a windshield replacement. Now I asked should I cover this myself so my rates won't increase? I was assured they weren't going to increase and lo and behold next premium increased by $200 for a $600 claim. Come on USAA!!!! Customer service is useless. They have NO input or control over what happens.

Both of my parents are 05 ranking in the U.S. Army and have been faithful towards USAA for decades. As a new driver, with less than 7 years of experience, USAA dropped me from the policy. WOW! I had accident forgiveness, and after hydroplaning, and hitting a pothole (not my fault, but I guess "technically" they were) I was dropped. I now have a cheaper policy with Geico and have consequentially closed my IRA and checking account with USAA. Never again. Hopefully someone sees this and feels better about having their time wasted, as they are not alone.

After 11 years with USAA my insurance rate spiked $300 semi-annually/$600 annually do to my first claim. The claim resulted from my Toyota Tundra hitting a Hyundai park at the end of my driveway at less than 5 M.P.H. No injuries were caused and the car was unoccupied. The car, which was illegally parked at the end of the road, had blocked me in and I was simply trying leave my house to get to work. In doing so I bumped the front quarter panel with my rear bumper when leaving. I got out to inspect for damages and didn't even see a scratch on either car. Due to the relatively cheap quality of the car and flimsy sheet metal it messed up the alignment of the quarter panel in reference to the door and repairs were require and since the car was unoccupied, although improperly parked and blocking me in, I was at fault.

A claim was submitted which required no deductible and the last estimate I heard from the car owner, which is a friend of my neighbor, was less than $2,000. To date I have had zero accident payouts or moving violation and paid roughly $500 semi-annually/$1,000 annually. If the purpose of insurance is to cover you in the event of an accident and I have paid out to USAA over $11,000 in premium over 11 years why the hike which would cover the total cost of the accident in less than 3 years in addition to the premium I was already paying? When I called and spoke with Jamie at USAA I was told the rate can not be adjusted and even though I have had a perfect record during my entire time with USAA it has not impact on my rate. Completely dissatisfied with USAA and will be looking for another agency.

I have been a customer of USAA Auto Insurance for many years. Back in June I had an "accident" where a guy and I both back into each other and barely transferred any paint. No police report, no claims filed. Now they want to raise my policy $400 a year. When I asked they first tried saying that I had a ticket, then "Well there are more accidents in your area". Bunch of BS. I will be canceling and finding a new insurance company.

They argued to a payment arrangement with me and I made the payment as agreed the day of the payment my car hit a ditch covered by snow and damaged the bumper. USAA started processing the claim and said I was covered. Then a week later they came back and said they never agreed to the payment arrangement so my insurance had been canceled. I showed them my called log of the 30 minute call I made the week prior to the arrangement to their billing department. They say they didn't record the call so I never made the arrangement. But you took my payment and thanked me for making the payment as arranged? Then a week later pretend it was never made to deny coverage. USAA is the worst insurance company I've ever felt within my life. This is what they call respect to military families?

0/5 stars. If you're ever hit by a USAA customer, go ahead and get prepared to be screwed over. I was hit by one of their members, who admitted 100% fault at the accident, in August '16. When I called USAA to discuss the claim, I was told that their member had already contacted them, admitting fault; I was told all damages would be 100% covered. I told the USAA representative that my concern was being without transportation because my infant daughter had a doctor's appointment coming up... The woman assured me that a rental vehicle would be completely covered by them for a certain amount of days.

A few days later I was informed that my car was considered a "total loss", and that I would receive a check for the amount that the vehicle was valued at, once I sent them the title. I was told that they would completely cover a rental vehicle from August 25th-September 12th. The rental car was returned on the 12th and Enterprise said everything was fine. Once USAA received the title for my vehicle, they decided they weren't going to cover the rental car and my bank account was charged (without warning) a week after the car was returned to Enterprise. Not only did I unknowingly rack up $90 in overdraft fees, but when I called USAA seeking an explanation and reimbursement, I received nothing but absolutely rude customer service!

For 3 more weeks I continued to call USAA for reimbursement; finally, I got a representative on the phone who could actually admit the company's mistake. I received reimbursement for the rental vehicle on October 15th; a total of 7 weeks and a permanent headache later, I am finally done dealing with these people! From my personal experience, USAA couldn't care less about the customer as long as money goes into their pocket. Avoid this company!!

I have had multiple bad experiences with USAA. One of the first was trying to get a car loan through them. I was approved for a $12,000 loan at 12% interest. This was way too high for me, so I tried to call back to talk to someone to negotiate something. I was new to the military and was purchasing my first car. Usually in a bank you can talk to someone, maybe put down a bigger down payment, etc. With USAA I called multiple times, spoke to supervisors and all and was just told every time to re-apply online, there is nothing they can do. So, I reapplied, was offered $15,000 loan at 18% Interest. The entire reason I called and spent so much time was because I wanted a lower interest rate, I was willing to put a bigger down payment. I ended up with a local credit union with 6% interest for a $10,000 loan.

Another time I had my card stolen and called to cancel it, they ended up canceling my wife's card after I told them multiple times which card it was and asked for confirmation they were canceling the correct card. Luckily the card was never charged before I resolved the problem, I could not imagine dealing with them with something like that. I now have decent credit, yet their insurance rates are horrible. 30 year old male, no accidents, 760 credit score, driving for 14 years, and they are offering over $70 a month more than anyone else. Again impossible to talk to anyone to try to work something out. Horrible company, if they didn't have free checking I would have left a long time ago. Looking into some local credit unions to close my account for good. I wish I would've applied for Navy Fed while I was still in service (apparently you can't get an account once you leave), not sure if they would be much better, but couldn't be much worst.

I am writing this as I am sitting here with my car waiting for my vehicle to be towed. Service is included in my policy. I ordered the service at about 8:40 am. I got a text confirmation at 9 am letting me know towing truck would arrive by 10:28 am. Later on, I get another text showing me a different company with a 11:45 am ETA. Nobody had the decency to address to me what happened. 12 pm rolls around and I decided to call the towing company. They said I was their next pick up and they would be here in 15 min. 30 min later, nothing. I call them, they place me on hold for 5 min. I got tired of waiting and called USAA. The rep didn't show any type of sympathy towards the situation, didn't try to get acquainted with my situation, just gave those standard textbook answers that they think have any positive effect on us, customers. Rep says I gotta wait another 20 min. This was 10 minutes ago, tow truck is still not here!!

I've been with USAA for over 8 years but this year I started noticing a giant decline in the quality of their customer service and overall Roadside assistance services. I know companies take risks and make mistakes in partnering with bad third party service providers and may hire a bad manager for a customer service department but, based on the shameful rating and reviews the company has been getting, it's time for them to get their act together because we do indeed have better options elsewhere now.

I have been a customer of USAA Auto Insurance for 37 years. About 18 months ago I noticed my 6 month renewal premiums were going up about $60.00 every 6 months. I have the same vehicles, no claims, same mileage, same address - basically nothing has changed whatsoever. I called and was given gobbledygook!! Customer Care Rep. #1. I would have to go see the State Department of Insurance for an answer... Customer Care Rep. #2 "Well your car's value changes each year", Customer Care Rep. #3 "Well maybe it's because there are more accidents in your area..."

I asked for a Supervisor to call me... that was two days ago no call. USAA has lost all credibility. They are charging me an additional $120 a year for auto insurance without any valid explanation. If I hadn't invested thousands of dollars on premiums over the last 30+ years I'd drop them like a hot potato. Thinking of auto insurance??? Look somewhere other than USAA.

Hope you never get hit by USAA Customer. Worst experience ever. Get a lawyer. Would not pay extra day for rental car when my vehicle wasn't ready till I was already at work. Wanted me to miss work to pick up my vehicle. Good thing for Hinton Body Shop. They told me not to worry about it and took care of it. I would never recommend this company. Terrible Customer service. Like I said before GET A LAWYER.

Rate is 0! I just could only press 1 star! I am 20 years old. Got into an accident back in the beginning of August of 2016. I filed a auto claim with the guy who hit me who has USAA! It took them almost a month to get everyone's auto claim description. They never called me back to tell me when they did get all the information they needed (including the police report). I had to call them every other day to keep an update which was very annoying. After the month passed by they finally gave me a rental car. They just recently took my car to go get looked at. Supposedly they sent me an email saying I'm supposed to send them the title and they will be sending me a check. Received the email this past Thursday night. It had no label on it saying where to send the title?

So I called Friday morning and they transferred me to the guy who was looking at my car. He didn't answer so I left a nice voicemail saying what the issue was and if he could call me back. He never called me. I'm guessing due to being closed on the weekend. So Monday comes and he still didn't call back. I am now in a situation where today I am supposed to return my rental car because they say after they sent the email I have three days to send the title and they will send the check. I have yet to receive a phone call. I have yet to receive a check for the loss of my car. I AM utterly disappointed of the way they have treated me via phone call. Saying I don't have to return the car but they will give me a discount for keeping the car as long as I need. I don't want the rental anymore.

I have a car picked out, ready to go buy. But USAA is being so difficult to work with because they're basically pointing the fingers at me saying it's my fault that I haven't sent the title yet? Also saying they've been calling me constantly and sending me emails? Which is not true. My phone stays with me 24/7. This is my first accident EVER! And I can't believe USAA is treating me like this. Highly HIGHLY would NEVER recommend this service!!!

RUN!!! Do not do business with USAA! They have their fingers in WAY too many different business (Loans both Auto and Mortgage, Insurance, etc) and they aren't good at ANY of them. They are trying too hard to be greedy and not trying at all to satisfy customers! They cashed a check for a vehicle we were paying off and held the title for over a month!!! Our check cashed, we had proof and they STILL wouldn't release the title. Not only is that against the law, but all they would say is that it was their policy. I've contacted the Attorney General!! Save yourself a ton of headaches and go with a real bank!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
  • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
  • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
  • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
  • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
  • Best for Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance