2. Automotive
USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

3.8/5 (812 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Bottom Line

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the e...

Verified

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not onl...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Some drunk driver hit my son at a red light so hard it lifted up my 3500 lbs. 350 van. After it took them over a week to accept liability (even though driver was given sobriety test put in hand cuffs then hauled away) they didnt send out an adjuster. I had to get pictures taken of damage (which was over 5 grand) then sent a quote for 3 grand claiming some damage was done prior to accident (it wasnt). Then when I try to go thru shop they go thru I'm told I can't get estimate from them because USAA already sent out estimate so I would have to change estimate app to drop off for repairs instead.

I didnt even make it to 100000 miles on my car and now I'm supposed to let them bubble gum fix my car with cheapest junk yard parts available. One shop said the offer was so low because people taking money instead of repairing car. So if dealing with usaa you can let them bubble gum your car and carry small children when it falls apart or buy some super cheap crappy car that's not held together by bubble gum. That's crap!! That doesn't even include damage on inside which they care absolutely nothing about.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

USAA overall is fantastic. Their Roadside Assistance is outsourced to another company, Ajeero, and it's not very good, unfortunately. They took about 3 hours to get to me when my car needed to be towed. The issue seems to be their techs are based in one city, and if you're in a suburb it takes them forever to get to you

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My husband first signed up with USAA in 1949. I became a member upon our marriage. My two sons also went on our policy when they began driving in the 1970's, and when we adopted a daughter, she too was on our policy. It is now 70 years later and I am still driving and still more than satisfied with USAA's service.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Prices are very competitive. You get a quick response on the phone from people who really know how to speak ENGLISH. We were able to get coverage for both cars and our home with ease and huge discount. I would recommend this company to anyone who qualifies.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I recently had occasion to file my first (and hopefully last) accident claim with USAA. It was a comprehensive claim resulting from damage to my vehicle due to rocks coming from a dump truck ahead of me on an Interstate highway. I have front and rear dashcams, so there was no doubt that I was not at fault. I was about four seconds behind the truck (not tailgating), and there was nothing I could have done to prevent the truck from dropping rocks.

USAA closed the claim in less than 24 hours, and I am officially not at fault. The windshield is being replaced at no cost, I received my check for the damages (less my deductible) a few days after I filed the claim, and USAA is going after the trucking company to get my deductible back. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and efficient.

I'm sure that the video helped make this an open-and-shut case. My point is that once they knew that everything happened exactly the way I'd said it did, they acted quickly to resolve the claim in my favor. No dilly-dallying, no premium increase, no trying to weasel their way out of paying, none of that. They saw what happened, immediately decided I was not at fault, and did the right thing.

I get offers for quotes from every insurance company around whenever my policy is up for renewal. I throw them out because none of them have ever come in at less than twice what I'm paying USAA. But now that I've seen the way they handle claims, I won't even open those offers from other companies anymore. They'll go right in the shredder. Low premiums and great service? I'd have to be crazy to switch. If you're a veteran or an eligible family member of a USAA member, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

USAA allowed my abusive ex to cancel my insurance policy in violation of the law. He cancelled all of my policies after I reported him for domestic violence and strangulation. I got in an accident the next day and USAA refused to cover the claim.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I have tried three times over the past few years and every time I complete all the info, including my USARMY service number the site states that I am not eligible for insurance. This is frustrating that a Vietnam Vet again is snubbed for his service. I will never try again that's for sure.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2021

So decided to call again today after leaving work early because I’ve been upset can’t sleep since Sunday night over this entire situation. I called Lexusnexus

Then after the call decided to cal USAA maybe I might get a rep who’s like the old USAA reps that care and will try to help u and believe u. In doing so I got lucky not only they were able to remove the accidents on my record they were able to see that it wasn’t me at all if the lady took only 2 to 5 minutes extra I would have never been in a $226 a month Policy. Unreal they verified it was my ex husband on both accidents and his mistress no I was never involved there it was right it my file why the lady didn’t care to look is beyond me. All I can say just keep trying to call if ur not happy are someone isn’t acting like the old USAA just keep trying because there’s good reps there u just have to keep trying. Thanks for fixing my problem my rate is perfect for my auto and renters. $187 awesome

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Updated 2 minutes ago. USAA’s auto pay not updated when they updated their system. That’s very similar to what happened to me with the automated payment my mom's paid for my USAA account since 2017. All of a sudden in March I called in to update my new vehicle with USAA and cancel the old car. All was ok. I was told they can keep existing policy and that includes auto payment. Then come to find out yesterday I owe $495 and my policy been canceled. No one authorized stopped payments or canceled auto payment when my mom's policy is being paid by the same card. Spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone back and forth. No one cared believed me or wanted to admit there’s been a system glitch. Anywhere no supervisor would talk to me. No one believed me. I’ve never called to file any claims. My credit is 750. I’m not one to not make payments on any of my accounts.

After learning of a huge lapse I’m also going to probably pay for that. How embarrassing and just shocking for them to blame me for not know when I’ve never received any calls, text, etc. They were sending stuff to my old email even after giving them my current email on several calls to them updating my renter's insurance. Here’s the really funny part. As soon as they give me my new quote bam, "Oh I have bad news. It says you were in an accident in 2018." I said, "Excuse me what?" "Yes and some more bad news. There’s another accident in 2019 so that brings the total to $220 for you a month." I’ve never been in accidents since I’ve opened any policies with you since 2017. What is really happening here. I’m so confused.

I’ve paid them over $695 in charges. Never argued I wouldn’t pay them. I wanted them to apologize and take responsibility for messing up auto payments and why couldn’t they call me or text me I was behind on payments? It makes no sense. After months and months I get a letter saying owe $495 and my auto and renters has been canceled. No one gave permission to cancel auto payments. Then I was told it’s because I didn’t update my profile and that there’s nothing I can do to prove it was their mistake by computer glitch anything.

I’m a single mom. I going to be hit with over a thousand dollars in fees for not being insured from MVA then also my apartment is going to charge me for not having renters insurance, the list goes on. But then to not take into account that no one order the auto payments to be canceled on my auto policy, etc is just mind boggling. Then to yet be accused of having two auto accidents that I have no idea about or was never even told about all these years with USAA seems odd. I filed for a driving record with LexisNexis but I feel helpless. I don’t know what to do. I feel like I’ve been flagged for a risky driver and an irresponsible person.

I’ve worked so hard to get where I’m today. After my divorce in 2017 I had to rebuild my life with a job and start to build my credit report. To be handled like I was today was just disappointing and shocking. I couldn’t sleep last night because I was so mad, confused and scared. To know I worked so hard to be able to get my credit to where it needed to be and get a new reliable car and then this to happen knowing you're going to probably get rid of it due to all this is it’s so disheartening. Why USAA? Just why? You're disgusting.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Filed a claim with USAA 4 weeks ago for hitting a deer. vehicle is not drivable as the antlers took out several internal parts. USAA asked for photos. we sent those in. We received an email stating someone would contact us in 2 business days. They never happened. I called USAA and asked for an update. They said it would be 2 business days. That was 2 weeks now and just again they stated 2 business days. They blame COVID. I have no idea how COVID affects the ability to look at pictures, but I guess that is what all companies are going to blame poor performance on now. It has been almost 4 weeks now. No movement at all. Will not renew service from them in the future and I hope no one else makes the mistake of using them.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have had USAA auto insurance for several years. I have had myself and my son covered. I've never had an accident or needed their assistance so I've never had an issue. Recently my son got pulled over, he didn't have proof of insurance. He went to court and the court provided a very specific letter they required to submit to prove his insurance. I have reached out to USAA no less than 8 times trying to get this letter. All I get is a basic email that the courts won't accept. I've been promised a call back from a supervisor and this never happened either. If you don't need anything, they are fine. But if you need help or run into any issues, they will not help you at all. I am beyond frustrated with USAA and will be switching to a new insurance company.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information