2. Automotive

USAA Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5
Based on 1,146 ratings submitted in the last year

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Manage your policy and claims online
  • Affordable rates for USAA members

CONS

• Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only
USAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I recently had occasion to file my first (and hopefully last) accident claim with USAA. It was a comprehensive claim resulting from damage to my vehicle due to rocks coming from a dump truck ahead of me on an Interstate highway. I have front and rear dashcams, so there was no doubt that I was not at fault. I was about four seconds behind the truck (not tailgating), and there was nothing I could have done to prevent the truck from dropping rocks.

USAA closed the claim in less than 24 hours, and I am officially not at fault. The windshield is being replaced at no cost, I received my check for the damages (less my deductible) a few days after I filed the claim, and USAA is going after the trucking company to get my deductible back. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and efficient.

I'm sure that the video helped make this an open-and-shut case. My point is that once they knew that everything happened exactly the way I'd said it did, they acted quickly to resolve the claim in my favor. No dilly-dallying, no premium increase, no trying to weasel their way out of paying, none of that. They saw what happened, immediately decided I was not at fault, and did the right thing.

I get offers for quotes from every insurance company around whenever my policy is up for renewal. I throw them out because none of them have ever come in at less than twice what I'm paying USAA. But now that I've seen the way they handle claims, I won't even open those offers from other companies anymore. They'll go right in the shredder. Low premiums and great service? I'd have to be crazy to switch. If you're a veteran or an eligible family member of a USAA member, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Original review: July 30, 2020

USAA has been the very best car and housing insurance company I have ever used in my 50+ years of driving, I am now 76 years old. True, this company mainly insures Military people, both active, inactive or disabled, which in and by itself, has turned out to be an excellent idea. The customer service representatives are knowledgeable, kind, courteous, respectful and work very hard to satisfy your needs or claims.

The claim processes, which I’ve had to make use of a couple of times during my time as a USAA customer, has been easy to use, the easiest I’ve ever run across to file a claim with, and are very honest and reasonable when completing your claim. The time between making a claim and getting the vehicle fixed or your property claim resolved is the best and quickest I’ve ever come across. Their company security, involving your accounts, is excellent. Their website, for the most part, is easy to sign into and to negotiate throughout your entire online account. I repeat, this insurance company is, without a doubt, the very best I’ve ever done business with.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I've had USAA, at different times throughout my life, and have had it for 7 or 8 years straight now. I broke my back in a car accident, an off duty cop pit maneuvered me, and my car hit a wall, during evening rush hour, rolling over 4 times, and his friends issued me a reckless driving ticket. I sent USAA pictures of the damage, gave them my statement about what really happened, before I beat the ticket in court, they sent me my $100k uninsured motorist coverage. I never even asked for it, though they knew I practiced personal injury law for over 30 years.

Then I had a collision, in Death Valley, CA, a cop wrote up a 5 pages, front and back (I never saw this in a multiple traffic death case) stating how the accident couldn't happen, like I said, that the accident had to have happened somewhere else (He actually stated that, "You city slickers always make up that accidents happened here in the desert, when they happened some place else, because you were at fault!"). Yet they paid my over $4,000 in damages, before the investigation by his supervisors resulted in him calling and apologizing for being so belligerent, making him go to counseling, after he was off duty, for 3 weeks, so he could work on his behavior.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I'd been a Esurance customer for many years, and decided to compare companies in an effort to save money. Because of my Veteran status, I was able to get coverage from USAA, and now I save over $30 monthly versus Esurance. I recently was involved in a hit-run accident; no injuries. When I contacted USAA they immediately jumped into action. After describing the incident, they gave me a choice of repair facilities; recommended or I could choose my own. I went with one of their choices. Within an hour, I was contacted by the repair facility; set an appointment; provided pictures and description of damage. USAA also arranged a rental, sending the request directly to Enterprise. This accident occurred on 7-17; dropped the car off on 7-20. A completely stress-free experience.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I have had this company policy for over 50 years. During this time, I have had few accidents, and none serious. Each time, they would recommend car repair company that they use, and as soon as the company heard me say USAA, I had their compete and devised attention. Since this company is made up of military people, and run primarily people, there is a mutual understanding, so we pull together for each other. Additionally, since I am a senior, and have been with them all these years, I received 2 different subscriber's checks every year. And finally, because of the Virus, and the shelter in place situation(a lot less driving), USAA is discounting the monthly premium each month. NO AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY can match the overall benefits of USAA... I no longer even try!! OORAY!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I've been with USAA for over 12 years straight, no accidents and here is my first experience with them. So we're moving from San Antonio to Jacksonville NC for a PCS move, about 4 hours into our trip we're hit by a semi truck and he decides to keep on going after he hit us. We of course called the state troopers to report the hit and run, the trooper puts together all the information and we call USAA while we're sitting on the side of the road with the trooper. They're asking us a ton of questions which is no big deal, mind you that we were also towing my wife's car on a trailer when all of this happened which is important to know. We tell USAA that we're in the middle of a PCS move and about the hit and run, how it went down and all. I tell them my wife's car is on a trailer and when they schedule a tow truck it needs to be equipped to pick up the trailer as well as tow my truck which is totally messed up.

They assure me they have called a tow truck which will be able to tow the trailer and load the truck on a flatbed. All was cool until 3 hours later the tow driver shows up who was supposed to be there in 45 minutes according to USAA. USAA sent me a link via text to show me the ETA of the tow truck, when I looked after 45 minutes to see where he was it said he was onsite, I called USAA again and asked them where the driver was because the text I got with his location says onsite but I assured them he was not onsite. They asked for the number of the driver from my text, I gave that to them and they tried calling. When I looked deeper at the map on the text and zoomed out it showed that this was a tow truck driver in Ohio, mind you we're in Beaumont TX when all this happened. The USAA person got back on the phone, I told them the company they sent me was in OHIO and I'm in TX.

They apologized and said it have been a glitch, but they did reach the driver and he was only out about 30 minutes. Again, I've waited 45 already, to get the glitch thing figured out was probably another 15 so now I'm on the side of the road with my wife who needs to use the restroom without anything in sight. We waited of course because we have no options. So we wait the 30 they said he'd be there and again nobody shows up, call them again, they had no clue of the accident and I had to answer another 100 questions and explain the situation, my wife's car on a trailer, hit and run, my guns are loaded in my truck, I can't just Uber it somewhere with 5 rifles and all my luggage, wife's car is loaded down with stuff so we can't drive that. Anyhow, we wait and wait again until after 3 hours dude finally arrives. He had no idea about the trailer when he showed up. So he calls dispatch to see if he should tow it.

They call USAA and ask if they'll cover it and they said yes. He couldn't tow it right then and there so he had to go back for it. Now you might think this is the end but it's not. Now the driver drops us off at a hotel which was great. We ask USAA to just have a repair company rip off the bumper, put a new rim and tire on and I'll finish my move, they said yes that's fine and they email me a list of STAR repair shops, the tow driver hauls the truck to the repair shop, they tell the repair company to do what I had asked to get back on the road and ensure the truck was safe to drive. USAA agreed to do this and just have us finish the repairs when we get to NC. The company takes three days patching us up and we hit the road but prior to this USAA didn't know if the truck was going to be repairable so they contacted enterprise to line up a rental, I told them that because of the trailer we'll need something that can pull the trailer.

They said, "Yes we'll approve of getting an oversized truck that can pull a trailer." They assured me that they have a truck with Enterprise lined up that I can tow with. I call enterprise and they tell me that they have a rental order from USAA and they'll have it ready the next day, I ask if I can tow the trailer, they said NO. They have no rentals that you can tow with. I call USAA back and every time I do this I've got to tell the person I'm talking to the same story, hit and run, guns, stuck in Beaumont, I'm PCSing. It was monotonous by this point. I'm frustrated. Anyhow, we just ended up getting a car and now we can drive around for the 2 days we have the rental while we're stuck there hoping the repair company can fix my truck to get us on the road. The repair shop calls me and tells me I can pick up the truck at the end of the day Friday. Cool, they fixed it enough for us to drive, we pay our $250 deductible because it was a hit and run.

When I get to the shop the people were awesome and they did everything they could to get us back on the road. We finish our PCS and arrive in NC, we contact USAA to drop the truck off at another repair shop and they sent over an assignment order to a location. When I get to the shop they have me sign a form and tell me it's a $500 deductible, I tell them I've already paid the deductible at the last repair shop. They asked me to call USAA which I did and had them on speaker, I go through 50 questions again and USAA says that they thought this was a new accident and that's why another deductible was required, I told them this was the same hit and run accident, not another accident and that I had already spoken to someone who gave us the OK to do this, they said they'd fix it and send a revised assignment to the repair shop.

I leave and USAA lines up a rental, cool. Well this is still not the end, the repair shop does their estimate and sends it to USAA, they decided to total the truck out. They send me a settlement agreement which is 6-7 k less than blue book, OK I'll do that but I'm not happy. I had new tires less than 24 hours old when the accident happened that cost me $1800. At this point I'm tired of all the drama with USAA, I go up to the repair shop to sign a release form and they tell me I owe $250 deductible. I was like you've got to be kidding me, I had to call again and explain the situation again. Now because in TX when an insurance company offers you a settlement they'll only required to cover 7 days on the rental.

USAA tells me they're going to overnight me a FedEx package with some papers I need to sign so they can send me a check. OK, being I was in the middle of a move I told them where to send the package, after two days the package had not arrived, I called them to let them know, they said their mistake it went to the old address. They said they'll fix it and resend overnight, I asked about extending the rental and they said they would because they made a mistake which is now postponing my payout. Now I wait again and no package was arrived overnight, I called them again and they said again it went the wrong address. I ask for another extension and they said they'll need a manager's approval which it should happen that afternoon.

The next day enterprise calls me and ask when I'm returning the car, I said I'm waiting to see because USAA was getting approval on the extension, they said OK but they needed me to go in that day because the car was already 3 days late, I asked them if they didn't receive the first extension and they said they had not. I call USAA telling them about the call and if the manager had responded about the extension that I was supposed to find out about, no but maybe today at the end of the day, again I didn't hear from them until the next day. They approved me all the way up to the end of that day. WOW, thank you for sending the paperwork to the wrong address twice and now for cancelling my rental.

I did end up getting the paperwork the same day my rental was due back and sent that back, I've still yet to receive my check which I was told would happen within the 2 days of me signing everything they sent. It's now been 4 days. I can say complete chaos and I'm unhappy. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND BEING A MEMBER OF USAA FOR 12 YEARS, those words I will never forget because of how many times I had to call USAA about every day.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

This company is not really about insurance, but about mass marketing. Poor service once you sign up, and will do anything to keep from paying any claim. Expect to be assaulted by marketing, by email, phone, and regular mail...Run don't walk away from this company if you expect them to treat you as a human.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

The insurance cost is 5x what I could get another policy for locally... We only stuck with it as it minimized bill pay and combining our car, house, credit card etc directly with our bank. Let me put it this way... We are charged and have almost $500,000 insured on our home alone (paid 27,000 for the whole house) but forcibly insured for 125k+ of valuables.. Just sayin if I paid 27k for a house there isn’t anything close to 100k inside! Car insurance keeps increasing yet we’ve gotten older (late 30’s) no tickets or accidents.. Took over an HOUR on the phone to have a person removed from our car insurance we didn’t even add..

USAA is becoming a joke in the world of expectations vs reality. The reviews should update to who they currently are and remove all these wonderous glowing reviews and pages referring customers. That’s not who usaa is any longer. Credit cards, loans and them in general need to close down as they are no longer good for families, they are ripping us off every chance they get!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

My significant other (for which I am also on his auto policy) has had his auto insurance policy with USAA for years and only called to update our physical address and they couldn't change it because he didn't know when he initially started driving, he only knew it was in his lower 30s for which was over 20+ years ago. They expected him to contact the DMV in NJ (where he hasn't lived in over 15 years) to get that information when they have had access to his driving records since he first got his policy with them almost 10 years ago. But that really wasn't the main issue, the Customer Service Rep was so rude and unprofessional and couldn't explain why they needed this information at this point and not when he first got his policy. USAA is a great bank but their insurance department sucks.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

They have gone DOWNHILL in service. I used them years ago and they were professional and responsive. They are now almost impossible to deal with, incompetent, and unprofessional and you can't easily get a hold of anyone to speak with and you can't speak to a supervisor. They mess up policies and then it's difficult to get it fixed. They are no better than the generic ones like Geico. So bad and I'm so disappointed in their service. Don't use if you don't have to!

USAA author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers auto insurance and other insurance options for active-duty, retired and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members. The company sets up flexible payments at no charge. Customers get discounts for storing vehicles at a military base.

• Coverage and plans: USAA offers standard coverage so customers meet their state guidelines. Additional coverage includes identity theft coverage, military uniform coverage and replacement cost coverage. USAA policyholders can also add accident forgiveness — if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• Cost: The average 30-year-old can expect to pay about $150 a month for car insurance through USAA.

• Discounts: USAA has discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses, bundling, families, vehicle storage, new cars, multivehicle policies and low usage.

• Standout feature: USAA has discounts and policies tailored specifically for U.S. military members and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor