Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
USAA Auto Insurance
1.74/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

In over 45 years with USAA, I've had 3- 4 fender benders, bought a car through them, transferred car insurance on a Saturday on a car that I paid cash for, obtained a mortgage from them, obtained flood insurance in the low country, and rely on a visa from them the most because they do not penalize you if you miss a month, without ANY problems. Plus they have always been extremely nice. While I've been a member, I have lived in SC, AL, NY, NJ, VA, NC, and DC with no issues. They have earned my trust, unlike so many corporations that suffer from American 'greed' not ethics. I don't usually write reviews, but after reading all of those negative reviews I felt compelled to rebut them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have had USAA for 10 years and never had any problems. Customer service is great and ready to help. I have my auto insurance and homeowner's insurance with them. I know people think that only immediately family like spouse and children can be added, but I had my sister on my insurance when we were living together. When I needed to make a claim, it was so quick and easy that I don't even remember dealing with it at all. I would bank with USAA if there were local opportunities. They were the first place I checked when I wanted a home loan too. Unfortunately, my credit or something wasn't great enough to be qualified and we had to go elsewhere. But I absolutely love USAA.

I am dealing with an issue from about 5 years ago and I was able to log into the USAA website and chat with a member who almost instantly was able to get the old policy documents I needed for proof. I saw that it says USAA is for active and retired military, but that is not the full extent. Veterans are also welcome, you don't need to put in the full 20 years or be active to qualify so long as you have your DD214 (you may need to be honorably discharged though, not sure).

Whenever I contact them, they always inquire about changes in the family or status. They strive to be up-to-date. They add the children on the account, which is great for their own USAA coverage. USAA isn't just an insurance company, they care about your family and needs. I am so happy to have USAA, I checked around for other insurance several years ago when I added my sister on and found that insurance rates were much higher. I would recommend USAA to all active military, retired, veterans, and dependents.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for three years now and have made two claims. One was for an accident that I had with another vehicle. She was making a left going north and I, on the other side of the road, was making a left going south and we met in the middle. She had GEICO insurance. This was my first accident that caused $2000+ in damages. I received letters and phone calls from her insurance company that stated I was at fault and I would be responsible for her damage and injuries.

I contacted USAA and expressed my concern for this since my insurance company and the state accident investigator told me they thought she was at fault, though no citation was issued to either party. USAA assured me that this is normal and I should just let the insurance companies hash it out, which they did. While my vehicle was at the dealer getting accident repairs a customer from their parts department backed into my vehicle and did extensive damage to the undamaged side of my vehicle. All told, my vehicle was out of commission for two months, just two weeks after I purchased it. It spent more time on the dealer body shop floor than it had in my driveway. USAA was on top of all of this and they kept tabs on the progress of my repairs and kept me informed. Now that's one heck of an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My wife got hit by a vehicle which ended up totaling her Honda Ridgeline. From the initial calls, to getting the rental, to getting a fair reimbursement from USAA, the whole process went extremely smoothly. We didn't have to speak to agents many times over the phone, since the website gives a clear overview of where things stand in the claims process. That being said, the times we did have to speak to a representative, I got clear answers and friendly treatment each time. I was expecting a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised. I got the honest feeling that each person wanted to help us get our situation resolved for us and cared about the outcome. This all coming after a significantly lower premium after switching from Liberty Mutual, who we had been a customer for over 10 years.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1991. I have had 3 auto claims in that time. Once some hit the side of my car while illegally passing, once an uninsured driver hit my parked car in a bank parking lot and lastly for hail damage. All three times the claim process was simple and smooth. I was concerned when they paid out the uninsured driver claim for repair before receiving any payment from him as I didn’t want my rates to go up but there was no deductible for me to pay and the rates stayed the same. I have also used the windshield repair claim twice without a problem or deductible.

I have had 6 teenagers on my policy and they have all been accident free (thankfully!) and while teenager rates are painful, they have always been competitive with other companies. Once they head to college and are 19 (due to Nebraska age of majority and my umbrella policy) they go to their own policy as it is cheaper for them when only insuring one vehicle parked at college instead of being covered on the 5-6 vehicles parked at the house. On another note I have homeowners with them as well, and they paid for repair of storm damage that was almost 20K without problem, allowed us to do some of the work ourselves which basically paid for the deductible. The check was written to the mortgage company who just had to do a brief inspection before releasing the funds to the contractor who did the majority of repairs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have been a customer for over 30 years and called to remove a car from the policy. They couldn't authenticate me because I didn't know my usaa.com login id? I knew everything else and provided my "phone" ID. Child's full name and birthdate. Could have provided any more info.. Because I don't log on to USAA didn't know my "login id" - who remembers those anyway?

First agent gave me "Denise" in security who asked inaccurate previous addresses from public records and told me she couldn't authenticate. She asked if I lived at **. I said no...** - as I had homeowner's insurance through them for 25 years. I was trying to give more information and said that I was trying to help and she said "no you're not" "you need to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT". Great way to treat customers. I asked for her supervisor and a recording of the phone call and she would provide neither and then hung up. +14% Add Photo or Video

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Nearly 10 years ago I mistakenly added my soon-to-be step-son on to my USAA auto insurance. He was added about 5 days prior to me actually marrying his mother. Just so happened he got in a car accident 2 days prior our marriage and he put in a claim to USAA. The representative noted that he was not actually eligible to be covered under my policy since his mother and I weren't married until 2 days later.

USAA dropped me from my insurance and cancelled my checking account without even allowing me to plead my case. I am a 27-year retired Air Force veteran and they treated me like I was a "criminal". They wouldn't even give me the respect of allowing me to plead my case. It's 12 years later and they still would not allow me to plead my case so I can use their services again. They continue to treat me disrespectfully and refuse to answer my questions. VERY RUDE and VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Go to Geico or some other organization. USAA is NON military-friendly!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I tried to get a quote for auto insurance from USAA. What I received was a flood of email and phone calls from everyone except USAA. Very disappointed that I could not get a direct quote from them. We already have insurance and were interested on a comparison since they USAA, claims to service current and former military members. BUMMER!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Having been with USAA for 36+ years. Starting about two years the corporate culture seems to have changed from an individual focus to “numbers” culture. Originally, we were treated like family. Now you are just a number to USAA. Recently we applied for a VA refinance. The process was very tedious. After about 30 days into the refinance and having spoken with 4 different agents, we decided to drop the refinance. We were asked at least 3 different agents for information we had already supplied. Additionally, the attitude of the agents were at times condescending, nothing like what we originally experienced with USAA. We are actively seeking other insurance companies.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I had been with GEICO for about 10 years and had an experience that prompted me to go back to USAA. Prior to my new auto insurance policy, I had never had any issues with USAA. However, since I started this new policy over a year ago, it's been nothing but a nightmare. The customer service has been horrible. No one ever seems to know what they are saying, agents constantly contradict the previous one or the notes on my account. They suck at explaining anything. My daughter got into one MINOR accident as a new driver and my premiums just about doubled. And when I sold my truck and went into a smaller economic car which should have been cheaper to insure, I was quoted a decrease in my premium of almost 650 dollars.

So what happens? They use my daughter's accident to RAISE my premium with an "accident surcharge" of almost a THOUSAND dollars. When I asked why I wasn't informed of this when I renewed my policy, I was told "we mail you a copy of your policy." with NO explanation at all. And then when I ask how long I will have to pay this "accident surcharge" they tell me until NOVEMBER 2022! WTF is that? I've been in ONE accident (weather caused) my entire adult life and my premium has never gone up, and yet one accident from my teen driver and now my insurance costs more than my car payments!!! I advise you to definitely shop around, they might be cheaper than some, but their customer service and assistance is horrible, and they screw you in the fine print.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky