Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
USAA Auto Insurance
1.35/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1779 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My wife got hit by a vehicle which ended up totaling her Honda Ridgeline. From the initial calls, to getting the rental, to getting a fair reimbursement from USAA, the whole process went extremely smoothly. We didn't have to speak to agents many times over the phone, since the website gives a clear overview of where things stand in the claims process. That being said, the times we did have to speak to a representative, I got clear answers and friendly treatment each time. I was expecting a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised. I got the honest feeling that each person wanted to help us get our situation resolved for us and cared about the outcome. This all coming after a significantly lower premium after switching from Liberty Mutual, who we had been a customer for over 10 years.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1991. I have had 3 auto claims in that time. Once some hit the side of my car while illegally passing, once an uninsured driver hit my parked car in a bank parking lot and lastly for hail damage. All three times the claim process was simple and smooth. I was concerned when they paid out the uninsured driver claim for repair before receiving any payment from him as I didn’t want my rates to go up but there was no deductible for me to pay and the rates stayed the same. I have also used the windshield repair claim twice without a problem or deductible.

I have had 6 teenagers on my policy and they have all been accident free (thankfully!) and while teenager rates are painful, they have always been competitive with other companies. Once they head to college and are 19 (due to Nebraska age of majority and my umbrella policy) they go to their own policy as it is cheaper for them when only insuring one vehicle parked at college instead of being covered on the 5-6 vehicles parked at the house. On another note I have homeowners with them as well, and they paid for repair of storm damage that was almost 20K without problem, allowed us to do some of the work ourselves which basically paid for the deductible. The check was written to the mortgage company who just had to do a brief inspection before releasing the funds to the contractor who did the majority of repairs.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have insurance through State Farm but my wife was rear-ended by a driver with USAA Auto Insurance. I was very impressed with how quickly and thorough the process went. She and the kids were on their way to Grandma's (out of state) when the accident happened. USAA had a local body shop repair the vehicle and it was completed and back on the road within one week. We called our State Farm agent who made some calls and helped with the process. I have read so many negative reviews about insurance companies and claims.

Almost all of the reviews I have read never indicate contacting their own agent to help with the process. I think too many people get quotes from online insurance companies and don't think about how helpful a local agent can be when needed. I will always buy insurance from a local office even if it means paying a little more. I will say, I am very impressed with USAA Insurance and would recommend them to anyone who qualifies for coverage.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My dealings with USAA have been quite decent over the last year that I have used them, as my folks have used them for many years. I've used their insurance and auto warranties so far and I've been happy as they've had great customer support in being helpful to better understand services and such. I also use their credit services and I've been please for the most part with it so far; there has been an issue I've recently with a merchant that sent a defective product and USAA has been very helpful in going through this ordeal to the best they can. The only other issue I can think of is that the login/verification can be difficult at times as each time you do it, they either want to call, text, or email you a verification code. This can be useful if you like good security, but it can also be seen as annoying. Overall I am quite please as being able to be a member of USAA and will continue to use them for my needs in the future!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I know most people complain about insurance as oppose to praise because they are usually going through some sort of tragedy. Every experience, every phone call and transaction with USAA has been great. From getting help on policy changes to taking care of accidents when they occur, USAA has responded quickly and efficiently. Talking on the phone with anyone there is like talking to a favorite aunt or uncle. They must train them in "caring" because that's how you feel when you get off the phone.

When I crashed my car, I was picked up by a shuttle from the car repair place. During a conversation with the driver, he said that USAA is the absolute best to work with, hands down. That they never try to negotiate and always pay quickly. As the consumer, we don't often think about the repairer's side. The driver also happened to be a regional manager who just happened to be helping out the normal driver. I highly recommend them. And please, they do have policies that are set in place to protect us, but there also are standard policies they have to function by (all insurances do) so easy on the negativity folks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

We are a veteran family and have been a multi product customer of USAA for over 20 years. We have also referred friends & family to the company. Recently, due to changes in the family & with vehicles, I have had an increased level of interaction with the customer service team & state based Insurance Agents for North Carolina & Florida. Where the highest quality of service to its clients was a consistent experience at USAA, those days are unfortunately gone. It is hit or miss. - mostly a miss.

For the first time in many years, due to the terrible service, combined with a lack of the special circumstances typically encountered by a military family, & with astronomical rate increases (+ 34%, despite being insured with them over 20 years, no tickets or accidents), I find myself shopping for auto insurance. Sadly, Geico has beat their rate, prior to the increase! It’s sad that USAA is cheating the trust of long term customers who believed that USAA always automatically gave its members the best rates in the marketplace.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

MY SON IS IN BOOTCAMP AND HAD FRAUDULENT CHARGES!! The WORST customer service I have ever experienced! The call I made to USAA last night about my son's debit card being frauded (while he is in Navy Bootcamp) cannot be real! My son has been in bootcamp for five weeks and I was checking his account yesterday and found four charges from Uber. My first thought was, "How could he have charges from Uber since he is in bootcamp?" Luckily, I received a call from him toward evening time so I was able to ask him about the charges in which he said nobody has access to his debit card and there is no way it was possible to have these FRAUDULENT CHARGES!

I immediately called USAA and the representative that responded to my call seemed like she hated her job but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and figured she might be having a bad day or maybe she is new. Plus, she pretended to have sympathy for the situation but it was so obvious that she did not care. I called a second time because I was hoping to find out where the charges originated from. My concern was that this could be happening to many more recruits. These kids are training hard in bootcamp and being "robbed" and have no idea it is happening. Plus, for most of them, this is their first bank account and do not know how to dispute things like this. What a shame, that they graduate from bootcamp and their bank account balance is $0.

Well apparently, USAA hires "jokesters" to entertain themselves while talking to customers about serious situations. It got to the point that I had to tell the representative to "shut the ** up" because he wasn't listening, he was talking over me and repeating himself like an idiot (this had to be a prank because there is no way someone can be like that in real life). I asked to speak to his supervisor and it seemed like she was in on it too. SAD!!! COME ON USAA!!! WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THESE PEOPLE FROM?! This was completely UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNACCEPTABLE!!

I am a very patient person and have pretty much given up on expecting, at a minimum, satisfactory customer service so I usually just let it go. I told them that I hope they are entertained and they are wrong for behaving badly. USAA should feel ashamed. Lastly, if by chance I am wrong about the call being conducted in a way to get laughs at work and frustrate customers, where the hell did USAA find people that genuinely have a two year old maturity and education level?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

After being involved in an accident we filed a claim with USAA, who we had full coverage insurance with USAA. The person who processed the claim said our car would be tolled to a certified collision center for our cars estimated repairs. There was only minor front end damage to our vehicle and we received a total loss statement from USAA. I called USAA and asked what collision center the car was sent to so I could contact them about the repairs and USAA told me they did not send our vehicle to a collision center but to a salvage yard and this is where they do their estimates of damage. Then USAA admitted they did not estimate any damage to the engine compartment, even though the radiator was leaking.

Then I received a FedEx envelope a few days later requesting us the sign our vehicle over to a company called CoPart, apparently who has possession of our car. I looked this company up online and found out they are a auto auction. I requested USAA send our car to a certified collision center again and they refused. I am not sure but I believe I need to file a police report that our car has been stolen by USAA?? I will be dropping USAA from all insurance policies. And hope to warn people/Veterans to stay away from USAA. I am a disabled combat veteran and they are doing this to my family and myself?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My experience with USAA was very good seven years ago when I enlisted. I learned that over the years this company does not give a damn about anyone. The new CEO Stuart Parker has ruined this great company. It sucks! I was involved in a car accident with three other people in my vehicle including small children. The at fault car insurance has paid their policy limits and now USAA is low balling with their offers. Claims adjustor Kalli ** tried to offer me $1000 after I received over $15,000 in medical treatments. They are acting in bad faith. I have no other choice but to file a lawsuit against this company. We have to stop them from mistreating military families.

It is ridiculous that the claims adjustor keep asking me to provide unnecessary paperwork regarding income loss and more doctor visits at the end of my settlement. Also they keep calling me harassing me about what happened. I requested a new claims adjustor and the supervisor David ** refused. Now I have to get the chain of command involved and spread the word about USAA. I am a disabled veteran and they are making things worse. Does anyone have recommendations for a new company?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been a USAA member since 1992. As the company has grown, it's now more focused on their bottom line instead of taking care of their customer. Dropped their auto insurance 4 years ago because they couldn't compete with other companies. The company now is too worried about spending millions on TV sponsorships of sporting events instead of passing savings to their customers. Their customer is military, retired military, and their families, let service and cost sell your product. I do not recommend USAA to my children. Son used USAA mortgage services to purchased first home and was surprised the day before closing he had to pay $3800 when seller agreed to pay all closing costs. USAA needs to get back to basics, the customer!

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky