USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

3.9/5 (2212 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Bottom Line

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the e...

Verified

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not onl...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

USAA was originally started to provide insurance for Military officers. In the late 80's/ early 90's, the realization was made that if they included senior NCO's, the population base would increase and so would profits. Later still, they decided to include all military ranks and even those who never served but had some familial military connection, thus opening the floodgate to nearly anyone, vastly increasing their population of potential insurees. In those years, the rates continued to rise and the quality of customer service declined. I have been a member for over 40 years and I am absolutely tired of being taken advantage of by USAA. Today, I called to get an insight into why my Auto-renewal had increased when I drive fewer miles each year, my cars are aging, but my rates continue to go up.

The CSR I spoke with was more interested in making a case for why the rates increased and how I could diminish my coverage to get my rates down. When I asked her to stop and just let me know what "Georgia rate increase" had affected my renewal rates, I was told I was disrespectful for not letting her continue to drone on about actions to reduce rates by diminishing my coverage. Another fine example of service quality going down at USAA. When I asked to speak with her manager, I was place on hold and never did get the manager on the line.

After 15 minutes of hold time, I hung up. USAA is not the company it once was and it is not in the business of truly supporting us in the military. If an individual can prove military service of someone in the past, they quality. As I said, I have been a member for over 40 years and will say that if anyone is remotely considering USAA as an insurer, know that you will pay higher rates and get reduced Customer Service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I had USAA for car insurance for over a decade. Then I married a permanent resident, change addresses, and bought a home in a short span of time. Everything seemed fine until I tried to put my wife on the policy. They wanted to see a marriage certificate, passport, and green card. Then when I got it for them, their systems were not updating the information that was sent. The lack of communication between staff and their systems lead to me driving without insurance and having to cancel the policy to get another one. Now they say that I owe them a few thousand because I cancelled the policy early. I would love to go back but I can't see myself paying that much for their mistakes.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I have been a member of USAA for 18 years. I've had it since I was a teenager. I've always had their insurance. I've always had their bank for the 1st 10 years. I really enjoyed them. I didn't know any other service and I didn't need to. As years went on so did their service. We had more and more fees, things went up in price, and the way they did their processing on things no longer made sense.

The 1st time I got hit with a processing fee I simply forgot I had 20 dollars coming out for a bill. I called and told them what happened and they told me sorry for your luck. Even though at this point I had been a member for 10 years. 29.99 fee. Then they told me about overdraft and attached it to my exes account. I guess it does both ways because he over drafted on mine quite a bit after. Could have told me. The next time was a few years later about the same but they were rude and told me that they process things In the order that I purchased them or paid them. Fine.

This time had been a few years later and I have paid my rent. They processed it 5 days after I submitted it. But before the check came in. The same day. So I called and asked and was told that they have 3 to 5 days to process and she doesn't understand why I'm upset. I freaked out. This was a week ago. Now mysteriously I've been charged 5 processing fees in this last week. All of them processed almost a week later. This is over a hundred dollars of fees because I pissed someone off. I'm in the process of changing banks now. I've tried to call and my number now goes through the menu on its own. I tried to chat and they told me to call. I'm getting upset and I'm probably going to try more after this.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

My daughter Nadina ** has a Range Rover, we were in Broken Bow and passed under a tree and something fell and hit her sun moon top and cracked in little bit pieces. She has been fighting with USAA to replace it for months. She and I are so disappointed with USAA. They have been giving her run around. This company service "0", she tried asking for manager or vice president and they won't let her talk to anyone. I hope USAA sees this and fix problem. Please people check rating on USAA before you get this insurance because it has terrible review. We Both of VERY DISAPPOINTED with USAA. I give them a "0" rating, what has become of USAA. Please HELP.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Cancel all your USAA accounts today! Undoubtedly the worst insurance company in the world! Their insured driver hit a kid in the bike lane at a crosswalk with two yield signs and received a ticket for "failure to yield". USAA refused to cover one dime of the kid’s very small medical deductible in writing. They would rather the parents sue the driver. If you have their “coverage”, you are not covered. Despicable humans. Cancel all your business with USAA today.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

In 2019 our personal caretaker used my van to take disabled friend to doctor. It was windy and my door dinged the car next to her that was right on the line between vehicles. She called and I told her to give the lady my number and I would take care of the door ding. Her husband called and said he was tired of people at work scratching and dinging his 2017 Explorer. I told him I would pay to have the ding fixed. He then said my friend put a big scratch on his car and I told him I had pictures. He got an estimate. The estimate was 2 parts, one part showed cost to fix the door ding and the other part was to fix the other scratches and repaint the side of the SUV. I called and said I would pay the $300 for the door ding but not $900 to fix the rest. He said that we hit his truck and he also wanted a rental car for 3 days for $250. I told him he can deal with my insurance.

His wife texted me back a few days later and said they had USAA and that USAA said they would get it all fixed and file a claim for all damages included other dents and dings against my insurance. They had their adjuster and shop fix all the dings and scratches in the vehicle and filed a claim against my insurance for almost $1500 for a door ding. When I went to renew my insurance, my rate went up. I called my insurance and I had an accident on my insurance file. They lied to my insurance and said we hit their vehicle -- not a door ding. They also placed an accident record on my insurance record. I assume they did this so they would not have to pay money for any of the other damage the man had from his parking lot at work and he had full coverage. This company is run by a bunch or dishonest unethical people. Just look at their negative reviews. It shows the same dishonest actions over and over.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

Outside of the mobile app being frustrating to use, I didn't have any issues with USAA, until I had a windshield claim. Was easy at the start, they use Safelite for all windshield claims, only the first installation resulted in pieces of my car flying off on the freeway. 2nd visit resulted in fixing missing molding from windshield, but the multifunction camera on the windshield kept malfunctioning because of the install being off center. This is where everything got bad. I was unable to reopen the claim with USAA, and they have a circular help system that will make sure you can never actually get through to anyone about an existing claim. Their chatbot is especially diabolical. It wasn't until I left a review on BBB, that I received a call from a special team that deals with BBB complaints. After the 4th windshield was installed and 4 months, I finally have a working car again, but there is no way I'm risking another claim with USAA.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

USAA use to be a reputable company but since the pandemic there has been a slew of stories that they are stealing from their customers through monthly overcharging in billing. I too have been one of the many to be told there is nothing they can do about the overcharges and if I don't like it, I can cancel my policy. Where is the BBB - this is fraud to those who serve our country. It's not just any insurance company - this is beyond criminal!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

***MUST READ!!!*** I have never gone online and written reviews to discourage people from using their services until today! I will be writing this same review on every site I can find! I strongly recommend you use any company besides USAA. I have had 3 different policies and a credit card through USAA, and I can’t stress enough how horrible all 4 of my experiences have been. My family, including myself are all prior service members and have used USAA for decades. But NO ONE in my family has accounts with them anymore. As of today while writing this it has taken them 6 months to backdate an insurance policy that was approved in March. I even drove 16 hours (round trip) to get documents for them from the VA DMV to expedite the process because I needed it done as soon as possible. Now 6 months later, it still hasn’t been done, costing me thousands of dollars in the process.

Be aware that when they say they are sorry and are escalating the situation to a manager/supervisor it is not always the truth! I confirmed that my last 3 calls the reps all said they “couldn’t imagine being in my current situation” and that they “would escalate it to a manager so it was processed and I’d have a manager call me within 24/48 hours to confirm and move forward.” After speaking to another rep today he stated their wasn’t a single time that any of the last calls were escalated and there were no notes for a manager to even call me. I strongly recommend anyone thinking about using USAA for any part of their life at all reconsider, and use a more reputable company that does what they say they are going to do, when they say it! They are hemorrhaging clients because of their horrible business practices and even worse customer support.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I have never left an online review before in my life, but I have to after this experience. Three weeks ago, I was stopped at a red light and was hit by a driver insured by USAA. The driver was very nice and apologetic. The following Monday, USAA called to say they are accepting liability, set me up with rental, and said would tow my car to service station. I chose my Hyundai dealer because the suspension and rods/alignment were clearly messed up. They seemed unhappy I didn't choose their auto body.

My service rep at dealer put in damage report for additional damage beyond USAA's first estimate. I kept calling for answers but USAA kept saying it was under review. My rental was due to go back and I asked them for extension. They said no because car should be fixed by now. But it couldn't be because they never responded to the report so dealer couldn't start fixing. They acknowledged that but still refused. After I threatened litigation, I called again and got someone who said the claim was approved. But they are only approving repurposed/after-market parts for tie rod and control arm that would void my warranty (car is 3 years old with 17K miles). They have lied and are not helpful or trustworthy.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information