2. Automotive

USAA Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5
Based on 1,480 ratings submitted in the last year

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA is an insurance provider for military members and their families. It offers competitive insurance rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

PROS

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

CONS

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches
USAA Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I recently had occasion to file my first (and hopefully last) accident claim with USAA. It was a comprehensive claim resulting from damage to my vehicle due to rocks coming from a dump truck ahead of me on an Interstate highway. I have front and rear dashcams, so there was no doubt that I was not at fault. I was about four seconds behind the truck (not tailgating), and there was nothing I could have done to prevent the truck from dropping rocks.

USAA closed the claim in less than 24 hours, and I am officially not at fault. The windshield is being replaced at no cost, I received my check for the damages (less my deductible) a few days after I filed the claim, and USAA is going after the trucking company to get my deductible back. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and efficient.

I'm sure that the video helped make this an open-and-shut case. My point is that once they knew that everything happened exactly the way I'd said it did, they acted quickly to resolve the claim in my favor. No dilly-dallying, no premium increase, no trying to weasel their way out of paying, none of that. They saw what happened, immediately decided I was not at fault, and did the right thing.

I get offers for quotes from every insurance company around whenever my policy is up for renewal. I throw them out because none of them have ever come in at less than twice what I'm paying USAA. But now that I've seen the way they handle claims, I won't even open those offers from other companies anymore. They'll go right in the shredder. Low premiums and great service? I'd have to be crazy to switch. If you're a veteran or an eligible family member of a USAA member, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Original review: July 30, 2020

USAA has been the very best car and housing insurance company I have ever used in my 50+ years of driving, I am now 76 years old. True, this company mainly insures Military people, both active, inactive or disabled, which in and by itself, has turned out to be an excellent idea. The customer service representatives are knowledgeable, kind, courteous, respectful and work very hard to satisfy your needs or claims.

The claim processes, which I’ve had to make use of a couple of times during my time as a USAA customer, has been easy to use, the easiest I’ve ever run across to file a claim with, and are very honest and reasonable when completing your claim. The time between making a claim and getting the vehicle fixed or your property claim resolved is the best and quickest I’ve ever come across. Their company security, involving your accounts, is excellent. Their website, for the most part, is easy to sign into and to negotiate throughout your entire online account. I repeat, this insurance company is, without a doubt, the very best I’ve ever done business with.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I've had USAA, at different times throughout my life, and have had it for 7 or 8 years straight now. I broke my back in a car accident, an off duty cop pit maneuvered me, and my car hit a wall, during evening rush hour, rolling over 4 times, and his friends issued me a reckless driving ticket. I sent USAA pictures of the damage, gave them my statement about what really happened, before I beat the ticket in court, they sent me my $100k uninsured motorist coverage. I never even asked for it, though they knew I practiced personal injury law for over 30 years.

Then I had a collision, in Death Valley, CA, a cop wrote up a 5 pages, front and back (I never saw this in a multiple traffic death case) stating how the accident couldn't happen, like I said, that the accident had to have happened somewhere else (He actually stated that, "You city slickers always make up that accidents happened here in the desert, when they happened some place else, because you were at fault!"). Yet they paid my over $4,000 in damages, before the investigation by his supervisors resulted in him calling and apologizing for being so belligerent, making him go to counseling, after he was off duty, for 3 weeks, so he could work on his behavior.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I'd been a Esurance customer for many years, and decided to compare companies in an effort to save money. Because of my Veteran status, I was able to get coverage from USAA, and now I save over $30 monthly versus Esurance. I recently was involved in a hit-run accident; no injuries. When I contacted USAA they immediately jumped into action. After describing the incident, they gave me a choice of repair facilities; recommended or I could choose my own. I went with one of their choices. Within an hour, I was contacted by the repair facility; set an appointment; provided pictures and description of damage. USAA also arranged a rental, sending the request directly to Enterprise. This accident occurred on 7-17; dropped the car off on 7-20. A completely stress-free experience.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I have had this company policy for over 50 years. During this time, I have had few accidents, and none serious. Each time, they would recommend car repair company that they use, and as soon as the company heard me say USAA, I had their compete and devised attention. Since this company is made up of military people, and run primarily people, there is a mutual understanding, so we pull together for each other. Additionally, since I am a senior, and have been with them all these years, I received 2 different subscriber's checks every year. And finally, because of the Virus, and the shelter in place situation(a lot less driving), USAA is discounting the monthly premium each month. NO AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY can match the overall benefits of USAA... I no longer even try!! OORAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I have been with USAA for several decades and they are the worst company I have ever dealt with. I am finally leaving their auto insurance division. I left their credit card services years ago for the same reason: total incompetence. And don't be fooled by their catchy but annoying advertisement song. This company does not care and this is my experience after years of being with them. They used to be smaller but have grown and no longer offer quality service, to say the least. Save yourself hours and hours of headache and frustration and steer far clear of them. I cannot express how awful they truly are. If I could give negative stars I would; they don't deserve even one.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

USAA required 10 minutes from the time of my breakdown until the time of arrival for their roadside assistant to be on-site and resolved my problem within 30 minutes. IF YOU NEED MORE THAN THAT it is a hoax.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I’m filing this complaint against USAA for no other reason than to help others before they end up out of pocket ($1095.82) like myself. I will keep this brief, and stick to only points that help.

1. If your car is involved in an accident, make sure you choose the place for repairs. Best option for first choice is the repair facility from a dealership for your make of vehicle. If the insurance company makes the first choice then you’re giving them the right to choose the facility for future repairs. By making that first choice yourself, you keep the power of choice to go anywhere you want for future repairs. In my case, I allowed the insurance company (USAA) for the person who hit my car to make the first choice. They sent my car to an autobody repair facility for body, engine, axle repairs. The autobody facility never could properly fix engine/axle parts. I lost my right to take it elsewhere.

2. Insurance companies are required by law to repair your vehicle to conditions prior to the accident. I knew this, but the facilities the insurance company would send me to weren’t fixing the engine/axle properly as they didn’t have the knowhow. The insurance company then started denying repairs, which they cannot do if they are accident related (I didn’t know this).

3. You have three years from date of the accident to file a lawsuit. I did not know this. Seems like a long time, but given the fact that I was dealing with moving parts that weren’t repaired properly, more damage would happen as time went on. Three years went by very fast. I eventually took my car to a proper place to fix the final repairs. It was just after the three-year period, so I had no recourse to get reimbursement.

I eventually talked to a lawyer about getting reimbursed from USAA for the expenses. After looking everything over, the lawyer’s comment was that it was outright disgusting all the lies and denials USAA told me in order to not have to pay for the repairs from the accident. He said it was past the three-year mark, so I could not sue USAA. He said I would have to sue the person who hit my car to get reimbursed. I refused to do so.

Point is that if you are dealing with a dishonest insurance company such as USAA, do everything in writing. You can email attach documents to your insurance claim account. Give them a few tries to do the repairs correct. If they do not, then sue. Don’t be like me thinking eventually they’ll do the correct thing, because they won’t. This was an over three-year long process with me averaging consistent weekly correspondences over that three-year period. Don’t go through the aggravation I did, just sue before it is too late.

I eventually found out that even though USAA has a very good record through their financial institutions, my situation was common practice for them when it came to paying for repairs. Please know that USAA says this is a resolved claim, because they know I have no recourse to sue them now. In my eyes, it is not resolved as they did not pay for all repairs from the accident as required by law. If the insurance company knows of the damage prior to the three-year mark then they should be required to pay for those repairs, not have the right to push them off. USAA new of this repair issue just after the accident happened, but never fixed properly. Good Luck.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I locked my car accidentally while engine was running and set my heater on high. I called a USAA Roadside assistance customer service and robot assistance was super slow and talked too much before I got to talk to the representative, with another 20 mins talking to representative for documentations, plus 5 mins wait for the document to send to the road side assistance, and another 60 minutes waiting for a person to unlock my car. Totally, I waited almost 2 hours for my car to unlock, to be honest I tracked my time. Waste of money to pay for Roadside assistance. I couldn't have just break my window and get in the car and pay for my window to fix later.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

USAA overall is fantastic. Their Roadside Assistance is outsourced to another company, Ajeero, and it's not very good, unfortunately. They took about 3 hours to get to me when my car needed to be towed. The issue seems to be their techs are based in one city, and if you're in a suburb it takes them forever to get to you

USAA author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers auto insurance and other insurance options for active-duty, retired and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members. The company sets up flexible payments at no charge. Customers get discounts for storing vehicles at a military base.

• Coverage and plans: USAA offers standard coverage so customers meet their state guidelines. Additional coverage includes identity theft coverage, military uniform coverage and replacement cost coverage. USAA policyholders can also add accident forgiveness — if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• Cost: The average 30-year-old can expect to pay about $150 a month for car insurance through USAA.

• Discounts: USAA has discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses, bundling, families, vehicle storage, new cars, multivehicle policies and low usage.

• Standout feature: USAA has discounts and policies tailored specifically for U.S. military members and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor