USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

3.8/5 (247 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Bottom Line

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the e...

Verified

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not onl...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Auto Insurance through USAA costs 4 times as much or more than for example AllState with the exact same coverages. USAA touts itself as catering to the Military Only but in actual fact they are RIPPING off military members. In actual fact USAA has ZERO offerings that are fair priced. Stay far away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

As a 52 year CUSTOMER (legitimately there are NO members!), my first 25 years ranged from excellent to good. After that period of time, customer service, pricing, employee credibility and product offering deteriorated to a barely acceptable level, at best, and made USAA indistinguishable from the other big insurance companies. It is my firm belief USAA in the past 20 years has operated solely for the betterment and welfare of its upper management. The primary corporate focus is the ever increasing of the customer base to increase management bonuses and salary levels. USAA has truly has lost its original purpose, focus and direction it had in its early years. Too bad. I remember what it was when I joined in 1970. Would I recommend USAA to those "eligible", absolutely not!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

This insurance company is for military community. It is very expensive insurance! I saved over $2000.00 a year switching to Allstate. That is a lot of overcharging the military community. Top 3 most expensive insurance that I found.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

USAA requires you to send in 3 forms every time your policy renews for Michigan in order to not pay pip. Problem is they charge for it anyway every time just hoping you don’t notice. Then you have to spend hours on the phone with them to get it fixed only for them to tell you they can’t refund the overage you have already paid. I’m done with this garbage company that preys on military. They should be shut down.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

My personal experience with USAA is a complete nightmare. I moved out of Virginia due to military and the DMV in Virginia didn't see I had insurance with USAA. The Virginia DMV suspended my driver's license and I didn't notice, until my insurance rates went up. My premium went up to 600 dollars from 400. That was about a year later. Now they took away my good driver's discount and they won't lower the premium back down to 400 every 6 months. My driver's record shows I have a suspension. Thanks a ton USAA for screwing up my driver's record and don't admit. Don't waste your time with USAA, when you need them the most, they turn a blind eye and give you a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

USAA should not be in roadside assistance if they really don't want to take it seriously as a business offering. I called 10/17 to join. I would have gone with AAA because you know you can really count on them to sign you up on the spot and take care of you. But since I have several insurance policies with USAA, I asked them to have roadside assistance added to my policy.

The agent on the phone said that because she was just signing me up at the time of the incident, I would have to paid for my tire change and submit a separate claim for the $85 tire change. I said no problem at all, that is completely understandable. Then it turned out that she was wrong, that is not how the process works, plus she did not submit my request for roadside assistance to be added to my policy. So my firts claim was rejected. I phoned USAA and they said no problem, we will have the original tape pulled by a manager and if the agent told you your claim would be covered it will be. Weeks went by and I called again. I was told that I had still not been enrolled in roadside assistance and they had no information about my having been told a manager would review tapes.

The same day I got an email saying that a manager in fact would review tapes and it would take 3 to 5 business days to determine my case. I then called back after 13 business days had passed. After 55 minutes on the phone, I was able to confirm that I had a claims manager for the $85 and that I should call him on Monday. I was also told that I did in fact now have roadside assistance but it took the company a full month to get it added to my policy. So I expect they will not pay my second claim because clearly it took them a month to get my coverage and who knows if they will really be able to find the original tape since they haven't been successful in two months' time. Can you imagine how at risk I feel having this company manage my 5 insurance policies for housing and auto? I am sorry to have to warn others.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I know several people that use USAA and none of them, including me, have good comments about them. But just recently is the straw that broke the camel's back. I applied for term life insurance, got quoted $21 or so. Went through all of their hoops and **, they come back and say “hey, you have chronic pain, so we will have to charge you $45 per month instead of the $21.” I was confused, because 99% of Veterans have chronic pain so it leads me to believe that they don’t approve very many Veterans for affordable life insurance. I had a feeling they were going to do that, from what I read, but I wanted to get some coverage for my family.

I will be canceling my auto insurance and my savings account with them as well, they continue to increase my auto insurance every single year and their explanation is “well, auto accidents are increasing.” Yeah? That’s not my problem, I’ve never been in an accident so why am I getting punished? Now when I see their fake commercials, I just laugh. “We are here for veterans and their families.” They need to add a “but it will cost you way more than you think” into their slogans. I’m still pissed they doubled my quote because I served three tours and have back pain. Such a ** company.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Never have I had a worse overall experience with a company than I have with USAA. One of my top 10 worst experiences of my life, including deaths in the family, was when we got a mortgage through USAA. Back when we were a customer, their inability to process mortgage loan effectively cost us money due to a hard close.

The cherry on top was when they sent an overnight letter, by error, stating our application was canceled...2 DAYS BEFORE CLOSING ON OUR FIRST HOUSE. Then they, or whoever they immediately handed us off to, lost our first payment even though we had a transaction record in my bank account. There is a HUGE gap between pretending to care and actually caring. Work with businesses who actually care and not the ones who can spend millions on pretending to.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Went up 400.00 more for a 6 month Premium despite no Accidents or Tickets. You ARE NOT helping Veterans so please Spare me with the sales pitch! Been with you for decades, Time to switch to a MUCH wallet-friendly Policy.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

What they tell you over the phone and what they do in reality is totally different. Had Vehicle Insurance and one of their Credit cards. Have since last year lost over $2800.00 in extra fees and higher adjustments they added to our accounts since we opened the programs. I believe they call this a Bait and then Switch style of getting you to join and then raising prices and fees so fast that you can not recover fast enough to get out faster. Avoid or shop around.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information