Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
USAA Auto Insurance
1.91/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have had USAA for 10 years and never had any problems. Customer service is great and ready to help. I have my auto insurance and homeowner's insurance with them. I know people think that only immediately family like spouse and children can be added, but I had my sister on my insurance when we were living together. When I needed to make a claim, it was so quick and easy that I don't even remember dealing with it at all. I would bank with USAA if there were local opportunities. They were the first place I checked when I wanted a home loan too. Unfortunately, my credit or something wasn't great enough to be qualified and we had to go elsewhere. But I absolutely love USAA.

I am dealing with an issue from about 5 years ago and I was able to log into the USAA website and chat with a member who almost instantly was able to get the old policy documents I needed for proof. I saw that it says USAA is for active and retired military, but that is not the full extent. Veterans are also welcome, you don't need to put in the full 20 years or be active to qualify so long as you have your DD214 (you may need to be honorably discharged though, not sure).

Whenever I contact them, they always inquire about changes in the family or status. They strive to be up-to-date. They add the children on the account, which is great for their own USAA coverage. USAA isn't just an insurance company, they care about your family and needs. I am so happy to have USAA, I checked around for other insurance several years ago when I added my sister on and found that insurance rates were much higher. I would recommend USAA to all active military, retired, veterans, and dependents.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for three years now and have made two claims. One was for an accident that I had with another vehicle. She was making a left going north and I, on the other side of the road, was making a left going south and we met in the middle. She had GEICO insurance. This was my first accident that caused $2000+ in damages. I received letters and phone calls from her insurance company that stated I was at fault and I would be responsible for her damage and injuries.

I contacted USAA and expressed my concern for this since my insurance company and the state accident investigator told me they thought she was at fault, though no citation was issued to either party. USAA assured me that this is normal and I should just let the insurance companies hash it out, which they did. While my vehicle was at the dealer getting accident repairs a customer from their parts department backed into my vehicle and did extensive damage to the undamaged side of my vehicle. All told, my vehicle was out of commission for two months, just two weeks after I purchased it. It spent more time on the dealer body shop floor than it had in my driveway. USAA was on top of all of this and they kept tabs on the progress of my repairs and kept me informed. Now that's one heck of an insurance company!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1991. I have had 3 auto claims in that time. Once some hit the side of my car while illegally passing, once an uninsured driver hit my parked car in a bank parking lot and lastly for hail damage. All three times the claim process was simple and smooth. I was concerned when they paid out the uninsured driver claim for repair before receiving any payment from him as I didn’t want my rates to go up but there was no deductible for me to pay and the rates stayed the same. I have also used the windshield repair claim twice without a problem or deductible.

I have had 6 teenagers on my policy and they have all been accident free (thankfully!) and while teenager rates are painful, they have always been competitive with other companies. Once they head to college and are 19 (due to Nebraska age of majority and my umbrella policy) they go to their own policy as it is cheaper for them when only insuring one vehicle parked at college instead of being covered on the 5-6 vehicles parked at the house. On another note I have homeowners with them as well, and they paid for repair of storm damage that was almost 20K without problem, allowed us to do some of the work ourselves which basically paid for the deductible. The check was written to the mortgage company who just had to do a brief inspection before releasing the funds to the contractor who did the majority of repairs.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have insurance through State Farm but my wife was rear-ended by a driver with USAA Auto Insurance. I was very impressed with how quickly and thorough the process went. She and the kids were on their way to Grandma's (out of state) when the accident happened. USAA had a local body shop repair the vehicle and it was completed and back on the road within one week. We called our State Farm agent who made some calls and helped with the process. I have read so many negative reviews about insurance companies and claims.

Almost all of the reviews I have read never indicate contacting their own agent to help with the process. I think too many people get quotes from online insurance companies and don't think about how helpful a local agent can be when needed. I will always buy insurance from a local office even if it means paying a little more. I will say, I am very impressed with USAA Insurance and would recommend them to anyone who qualifies for coverage.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My dealings with USAA have been quite decent over the last year that I have used them, as my folks have used them for many years. I've used their insurance and auto warranties so far and I've been happy as they've had great customer support in being helpful to better understand services and such. I also use their credit services and I've been please for the most part with it so far; there has been an issue I've recently with a merchant that sent a defective product and USAA has been very helpful in going through this ordeal to the best they can. The only other issue I can think of is that the login/verification can be difficult at times as each time you do it, they either want to call, text, or email you a verification code. This can be useful if you like good security, but it can also be seen as annoying. Overall I am quite please as being able to be a member of USAA and will continue to use them for my needs in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I ask for free online quote, it says you have to JOIN to get it? Why do I have to join? I just want a free quote for insurance. I dont want to call...hence the WORD ONLINE. What a joke. I also dont want a billion phone calls from them either.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

The worse banking experience! I request to have my accounts closed immediately and my funds mail to by check and I been getting the round around with these guys for over a week now. They transfer me 7 times! Yes 7 times only to let me know that have put in a request and will get back to me in three business days. That baffles my mind because I was told that last week and now I’m hearing the same thing again. If I request that my accounts be closed just do it and send me on my way. But no. Apparently the department that does this you cannot transfer to them. So why is it a department within USAA if there is no one there to transfer to. Bottom line up front close my accounts immediately like I ask and mail the check!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

It all started when our vehicle was broken into! Of course, we filed a claim for the items stolen from our vehicle. I could sense that we were ** out of luck when the insurance claims investigator treated us like criminals, as opposed to the victims of a burglary. Long story short, they denied our claim so what was stolen is lost for Good and now they’ve made the decision to close all of our banking accounts, along with canceling our auto insurance. It’s evident that they could careless about us getting robbed and they would rather punish us for the fact that our car was broken into, instead of being helpful with the situation! They’re definitely not State Farm because we definitely were not in Good hands!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We have had USaa auto insurance for over seven years and many times thought about changing companies over smaller things. We noticed friends had included with their insurance that USAA didn’t offer but we didn’t because we were loyal to them until I received my statement this month and seen my rates more than doubled out of nowhere. I’ve never had a accident or even as much as a speeding ticket in my life or ever been late on a payment. And when I called customer service they couldn’t explain why only that this was my new price I needed to pay. So I’m happy to now say I’m a new customer with Geico insurance and will never recommend Usaa to anyone. I wish I would have went with another company sooner.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I am a Senior Member of USAA (over 45 years) and can't believe how horrible this company has gotten over the years and how they treat their senior members. I filed an auto loss claim on my 2017 Ford F150 and never received promised phone calls, if you disagree with the decision there is no way to talk to management. If you make a request the standard reply is "sorry there is no one else you can talk to". I was still waiting on a return call from the claims department and after waiting a couple of weeks I went online into my account and found out they closed my claim. I didn't even know about it. I would never in a million years ever recommend USAA. Armed Forces Insurance does a much better job.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky