2. Automotive
USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

4.0/5 (1443 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Bottom Line

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the e...

Verified

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not onl...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I recently had occasion to file my first (and hopefully last) accident claim with USAA. It was a comprehensive claim resulting from damage to my vehicle due to rocks coming from a dump truck ahead of me on an Interstate highway. I have front and rear dashcams, so there was no doubt that I was not at fault. I was about four seconds behind the truck (not tailgating), and there was nothing I could have done to prevent the truck from dropping rocks.

USAA closed the claim in less than 24 hours, and I am officially not at fault. The windshield is being replaced at no cost, I received my check for the damages (less my deductible) a few days after I filed the claim, and USAA is going after the trucking company to get my deductible back. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and efficient.

I'm sure that the video helped make this an open-and-shut case. My point is that once they knew that everything happened exactly the way I'd said it did, they acted quickly to resolve the claim in my favor. No dilly-dallying, no premium increase, no trying to weasel their way out of paying, none of that. They saw what happened, immediately decided I was not at fault, and did the right thing.

I get offers for quotes from every insurance company around whenever my policy is up for renewal. I throw them out because none of them have ever come in at less than twice what I'm paying USAA. But now that I've seen the way they handle claims, I won't even open those offers from other companies anymore. They'll go right in the shredder. Low premiums and great service? I'd have to be crazy to switch. If you're a veteran or an eligible family member of a USAA member, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Original review: July 30, 2020

USAA has been the very best car and housing insurance company I have ever used in my 50+ years of driving, I am now 76 years old. True, this company mainly insures Military people, both active, inactive or disabled, which in and by itself, has turned out to be an excellent idea. The customer service representatives are knowledgeable, kind, courteous, respectful and work very hard to satisfy your needs or claims.

The claim processes, which I’ve had to make use of a couple of times during my time as a USAA customer, has been easy to use, the easiest I’ve ever run across to file a claim with, and are very honest and reasonable when completing your claim. The time between making a claim and getting the vehicle fixed or your property claim resolved is the best and quickest I’ve ever come across. Their company security, involving your accounts, is excellent. Their website, for the most part, is easy to sign into and to negotiate throughout your entire online account. I repeat, this insurance company is, without a doubt, the very best I’ve ever done business with.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I've had USAA, at different times throughout my life, and have had it for 7 or 8 years straight now. I broke my back in a car accident, an off duty cop pit maneuvered me, and my car hit a wall, during evening rush hour, rolling over 4 times, and his friends issued me a reckless driving ticket. I sent USAA pictures of the damage, gave them my statement about what really happened, before I beat the ticket in court, they sent me my $100k uninsured motorist coverage. I never even asked for it, though they knew I practiced personal injury law for over 30 years.

Then I had a collision, in Death Valley, CA, a cop wrote up a 5 pages, front and back (I never saw this in a multiple traffic death case) stating how the accident couldn't happen, like I said, that the accident had to have happened somewhere else (He actually stated that, "You city slickers always make up that accidents happened here in the desert, when they happened some place else, because you were at fault!"). Yet they paid my over $4,000 in damages, before the investigation by his supervisors resulted in him calling and apologizing for being so belligerent, making him go to counseling, after he was off duty, for 3 weeks, so he could work on his behavior.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I'd been a Esurance customer for many years, and decided to compare companies in an effort to save money. Because of my Veteran status, I was able to get coverage from USAA, and now I save over $30 monthly versus Esurance. I recently was involved in a hit-run accident; no injuries. When I contacted USAA they immediately jumped into action. After describing the incident, they gave me a choice of repair facilities; recommended or I could choose my own. I went with one of their choices. Within an hour, I was contacted by the repair facility; set an appointment; provided pictures and description of damage. USAA also arranged a rental, sending the request directly to Enterprise. This accident occurred on 7-17; dropped the car off on 7-20. A completely stress-free experience.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I have had this company policy for over 50 years. During this time, I have had few accidents, and none serious. Each time, they would recommend car repair company that they use, and as soon as the company heard me say USAA, I had their compete and devised attention. Since this company is made up of military people, and run primarily people, there is a mutual understanding, so we pull together for each other. Additionally, since I am a senior, and have been with them all these years, I received 2 different subscriber's checks every year. And finally, because of the Virus, and the shelter in place situation(a lot less driving), USAA is discounting the monthly premium each month. NO AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY can match the overall benefits of USAA... I no longer even try!! OORAY!!!

Original review: June 5, 2021

USAA is as great as they say... until there is a claim. I've been with USAA for 42-years starting out as a young Army officer. And, I've had only 2 claims in that period of time; both comprehensive and non-collision. Never had a wreck. USAA is great when you're moving about the world, but once you are settled in a community you need an in-person agent to deal with, and that's what you don't have with USAA. I have never met anyone with USAA except by phone, email or FEDEX. The first claim was 20 years ago, the second and last claim was over a month ago. In both cases, it took nearly a month for USAA to get back with me, and even took me making calls to check on claim progress to get a response. Worse, USAA contracts with third-party servicers to handle much of the claims process, and the red tape is excessive. The third-party has me running around getting notarized signatures, finding a long-misplaced title to a car.

There are better options than having to deal long distance with a company that is working for your insurance company and not having an agent you can meet with. It's really not worth it to have insurance, have to file a claim, and have so much work pushed back on your head. So, after all these decades I'm going to get local insurance now. The ongoing thesis packet I'm suppose to complete and FEDEX back to some company I never heard of in order to collect on my claim... well, just ain't worth it. I'll let USAA keep the check as part of the starting over process.

Original review: May 29, 2021

My car was hit by someone with USAA insurance. My car was totaled and when I agreed to the settlement they gave 3 additional days where they'd pay for the rental car. When I received the paperwork from USAA for the settlement the next day, my name was misspelled. Since it requires a notary - I was unable to sign it with the misspelling. I was depending on the settlement for the down payment on a replacement car and I thought the least they could do for a delay due to their clerical error was to extend the car rental out a few extra days.

I called and the first agent related to me and said he couldn't guarantee an extension but he'd have his manager check. He asked me to call back the next day if I didn't hear anything by noon since the rental agreement ended that day. Called back the next day and the new rep said there were no notes from a manager and said - without checking with management - that they would not do it. Her reasoning was that they are not required to provide a rental past 3 days of the agreement and that it was a courtesy. I told her that I understood her side but since their clerical error was preventing me from getting a replacement car I thought it would be a courtesy for them to understand the situation and give me a brief extension on the rental car. She didn't care and basically took a stance not to check with management, didn't care about the circumstances and didn't give effort to relate to me and my situation.

I felt that it was a heartless hard line policy response after they were the ones that clearly had the error and put me in a difficult driving situation. Told her that I'd not consider USAA as an insurance going forward and she didn't seem to care. Policies are one thing - not relating to results of your error and trying to work out a possible solution which would have barely cost them anything since they receive a hefty discount from the rental company is another thing. I definitely will not consider them going forward and will advocate against them with friend and family.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have been a USAA member for over 35 years, and have seen ever increasing problems with USAA automation, can't get logged in, system won't recognize login, system won't send security codes for some action but will for others.... Now I have "Clinton" in tech support on the line who is making excuses and telling me he has to research a problem for an incident ticket I submitted over two weeks ago. Turns out "Clinton" does not have the access to USAA's web to fix the problem.... Now waiting for someone else.... Bottom line: Stay away from USAA.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My husband was the Army man so he got us auto insurance through USAA then he passed away last September. I got a letter from USAA a couple of weeks ago saying they cancelled our policy because he passed away??? WHAT THE HELL. I HAVE A CLEAN RECORD. DONT GET USAA INS. YOU CAN'T TRUST THEM.

Original review: April 23, 2021

This isn't our first run around with USAA over the last 40 years of coverage, with high premiums but it's the worst to date. We filed a claim for roof damage last fall. The initial inspector said there was hail damage on the pergola, which was within a year old but not on the roof because it had been repaired though this is incorrect as it was a new roof when we purchased the house and we have not had it repaired. He also approved interior damage which is strange if there's no roof damage. Later they sent a second inspector who said we had heat damage even tho our shingle roof is less than 10 years old and USAA denied the claim again because that's not covered. The third company they chose for an "independent" inspection sent 5 inspectors. Their result said we had footprints on our roof, heat damage and hail damage but not significant enough and it would just buff out on its own.

This company was chosen and paid by USAA, it was not a true independent source. They also stated, using weather from a distance over 5 miles from our home, that we haven't had large hail since 2009 contrary to the photos we have from a year ago and this last March. Beware and be forewarned - do not use USAA especially in Texas. They will spend more money refuting your claim than just paying it.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information