2.33/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

USAA Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

1254 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

How many people in the general public know the meaning of USAA. As patriotic as we are, we cling to anything with the Acronym USA. The Acronym USAA means United Service Automobile Association. So the Acronym USAA branded on TV ads nationwide or even internationally creates the perception that the United Service Automobile Association (USAA) is really dedicated to the service of veterans.

Based on my own experience with the company as a customer and my service to the United States Armed Services, as well as my Son's service to the United States Armed Services; and the complaints of many others who have varying complaints with some similarities to my experience. USAA is none other than a heartless monster of a company. If life happens and you find yourself not matching what their computer say... they are not competent to provide intelligent service to us human beings because our actions as human beings must at all times follow the dictates of their computers (The System).

Even if an individual rep would be inclined to utter intelligent communication; my advice is for you to take no comfort in those words because their computer intelligence is not in line with human intelligence; and the computer (the system) will generate instructions contrary to any instructions the intelligent low-level employee provides, because only the computer can provide instructions to human beings. It is a shame and absurd that USAA has grown on the backs of Military men and women, yet has no sensitivity toward them. They hire the brightest idiots from the best Universities around the United States to establish policies and procedures and to develop an incompetent mechanical workforce (culture) run by computers (the system) which cannot relate to the public it serves.

I will bet that 95% of these idiots have never gone hungry one day in their lives; have never served in the United States Armed Forces, have always known how all of their bills will be paid... and so on. As I write this, my insurance is still in force, but I have spent months back and forth and even had a belligerent representative tell me that USAA is not the company for me - in spite of the fact that the company collects my premium in advance, and because (the system) said I must pay the premium in full for the entire term.

My complaint here is based on many months of back and forth conversation some of which appeared good, others nasty and overall insensitive. In addition they appear to write notes slanted in their favor to build a case against unfavored customers that the system begins to reject when payments are not perfectly aligned with (the system's) generated numbers even when you are paying in advance based on a 5-month plan to pay off their 6-month plan early. Don't get it!

Please Note the Attachment - There are three cars on it. Only two cars should have been included because they instructed me that because my son purchased his own car he could no longer be carried under my insurance. I followed through immediately to have my son obtain his own insurance which he did with an effective date of 9/13/2017. So as of 9/13/2017 my auto insurance bill should have reduced. My policy renewed on 9/16/2017; and so far 2 payments based on a 5 pay period (personal budget plan) has been paid toward a 6 pay period USAA plan. So why are they insisting on full payment and sending me cancellation letters when I am paid up in advance to date?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Pay full coverage for all my cars. All this money spent with them. Got hit in a stop sign, opposite company took full responsibility for damages and still trying to screw my family over. No money for the damages, vehicle got totaled and all I'm getting is 2k back to put down in another car. 25k later after I paid all this money in my nice car. All gone cause the insurance don't care as long you pay them. Stay away from USAA. Banking is good, everything else don't bother.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have read many of the reviews and it appears that the negative supersede the positive. I have been with USAA for over 20 years and have accounts from insurance, banking, investments, mortgage, etc. I have also had good and bad experiences with them. I would like to change companies but feel it will be a ton of work to move all of my accounts. They have millions of members consisting of active military, veterans, family of veterans, etc. Their auto and home insurance rates continue to climb and when you call them to get a good reason, the response is always inflation. There should be something out there where we can all come together to make our voices heard by the CEO.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I started a chat with Trisha ** a USAA representative on 6/16/17 and requested multiple changes to my policy included uninsured motorist and rental car reimbursement. I assumed the USAA representative added them to my policy since she quested a monthly rate for both. Two months later on 8/18/2017 my car got hit in my parking garage in the middle of the night. As soon as I saw the damage I immediately called USAA to start a claim to get it fixed. To my surprise the USAA representative Trisha ** did not add the coverage, and I had to spend 3 hours talking to another representative to have them look at the 11 page chat to fix the mistake that was made. Since it was originally USAA's fault they said they would fix my policy.

Two days later I got a call stating they backdated my coverage to 8/12/16 to cover the hit and run uninsured motorist accident with a $250 deductible, and add rental reimbursement. After being relieved and thinking I had the correct coverage I continued on with my claim to get my car fixed. Paul ** was assigned my case and proceeded to be the worst claims specialist I have ever had. I went to Sterling Mccall Restoration on 9/29/17 to drop off my car to get it fixed, and get a rental car. Paul advised me I did not have uninsured motorist coverage or rental car reimbursement and that I would have to pay $1000 deductible and the rental car out of pocket. Paul began to be very disrespectful as I was trying to explain that I should coverage for uninsured motorist with a $250 deductible and rental reimbursement with a chat from 6/16 to prove it but he would not listen to me.

He then yelled "I will not argue with you, and I'm hanging up on you" and then hung up on me. I called right back and George ** started to help me with my claim, and was able to help me within 10 minutes. He listened to me cry about Paul hanging up on me, and was still willing to help me figure out how to get a rental car right away so I could leave the shop since I had been there for 2 1/2 hours. George had me send an email of the previous chat on 6/16 to prove the requested coverage that was never added. He was able to get me a rental car, and said he would make sure I would have the correct coverage. Since then I have asked for a manager to call me, but have yet to receive one. I have been a USAA policy holder for 12 years, and have never made a claim until now. Until George helped me it was the WORST experience I have ever had, and I will be changing insurance companies as soon as my car is fixed.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Over a month ago I was hit by a member of USAA. From the very start I had issues. The customer service knowledge is totally lacking, and they continuously told me to contact my insurance. Their member who hit me admitted full guilt, as I was rear ended. Once I was finally assigned a claims agent she was never in contact with me, even though I left multiple messages. Once my husband threatened to call a lawyer we got a response and they were sending an assessor out. She claimed the car was undrivable.

My husband called back and was set up with a rental, told a check was being issued that day, and to then pursue getting the car fixed. Two weeks later, no check. Then we get a call to return the rental car, leaving us with one car and two working parents. Customer service was zero help and refused to put on a manager, claiming that's "not their protocol". Now we're at a standstill. No car, no check, no rental car. This company is by far the worst I've ever dealt with. They are all lazy morons that need to be fired.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My husband is a disable veteran. We had all our accounts through BB&T previously. My hubby decided that we should switch to USAA. All was well until someone stole my husband information and made up to 400 dollars in fraudulent charges to our account. USAA sided with the fraudulent merchant because they said whomever made the charges knew our email address. Our income taxes was also stolen and IRS did an investigation and realized it was not my husband and I. We live in Atlanta and someone living in Florida did this. I will never put any more money in USAA. Consumers and veterans beware they won't protect your money.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I won't bore you with all the suffering details, so, in a nutshell... slow and communicably challenged!! Good luck trying to contact them directly (via phone) when dealing with a claim. I'd say 99% of their communication is done through their email center, and my experience has been a hit or miss (mostly miss) proposition since my message seems to travel through a labyrinth of channels/agents and rarely will get directly to the agent in charge. To make things even more convoluted, they farm out much of the actual claim work to a 3rd party, so, instead of just going from A to B you have to go from A to B to C... not very efficient/timely/seamless for the policyholder.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Please note I am combat Vietnam war veteran with two bronze stars. Had a wreck on the freeway and contacted USAA. Received a bill for $2000 so called USAA. They informed me that I was not covered. I was lied to. This is an unethical company. I was informed I was covered. No appraiser ever showed up. Please also note that we have two insurance company representatives in my family who stated this is against the law. You cannot tell someone they're covered and then after the repair bill comes through say that they are not. We will be contacting an attorney so USAA can never take advantage of anyone ever again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was in an accident by an insured driver from USAA that was texting and driving and ran a stop sign. The accident was not my fault. I did everything to avoid the accident but of course he had run the stop sign and was texting and didn't see me. He was cited for speeding, running a stop sign, and failure to yield. This accident has ruined my life. I did hair for 29 years, I haven't worked since the day before the accident. I hurt my jaw, my neck, my thoracic spine, and my back. I've had jaw surgery, 2 neck surgeries, plus I'm getting thoracic and neck surgery on November 7th. I need back surgery. I've spent a year and a half in bed. The pain is so terrible. I take 80 mg of ** a day, and live on muscle relaxers, I can't drive because of my medicine.

The driver had $300k worth of coverage. The most USAA will offer me is $100k. USAA is trying to wiggle out of their claim, because I had a pre-existing neck surgery. I was fine, I worked full-time lead a perfectly normal life. I have a lot more injuries besides my neck. My medical bills are already over $180k, my Attorney fees are over $100k. I can never do hair again, my life will never be the same. I had a 780 FICO score now. I'm claiming bankruptcy. My husband had to take a higher paying job 400 miles away to help with bills. Now I only see him once a month. USAA is a terrible company that doesn't pay their claims. Please don't use this company.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I'm posting this because USA is a joke. Went to register online. I went through the entire registration process, put in my dad's military ID, my social security number, all my pregnant information and then went to apply for auto insurance quote and was told I was being redirected to Liberty Mutual. I didn't want Liberty Mutual. I wanted USAA auto insurance. Well come to find out after calling a few times I found out that even though my father was retired military for years active 2 years reserves in 1958 unable to qualify because he would have had to have been a member of USAA while my dad is deceased and there's no way to become a member of USAA yet they allowed me to sign up and take all my personal information so beware.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have been with USAA for over 20 years now. I had an accident over a month ago with another USAA insured motorist at a gas station. The driver of a large SUV, with a trailer wide enough to fit another large vehicle, drove through the pumping area, with his trailer catching my driver side, nearly pulling my door off. My car door was already open when the back of the trailer caught it. There were several witnesses including the Mgr and employees at the location. The other insured also agreed that it was his fault. I know this, because we both called USAA at the same time and I heard him. I gathered two of the witnesses’ phone numbers and information, which I forwarded to USAA.

When I called a few days later to check the status of the claim, Mr. Dan ** with the USAA Claims Dept advised me that his client is 100% at fault. When I asked why, he then quoted some Texas law or regulation about opening your door to on-coming traffic. I said, "I didn't open my door, it was already opened. Even the driver admitted it.” He then said that it was he, Daniel **, that felt that he was not at fault. After I said, "Well what do I need to do? Do I need to get a lawyer?" He rudely told me to do what I wanted because his party is not accepting liability. I then had to get my own adjuster from USAA, since I filed the claim against the other driver (as he was at fault) and not my policy.

It has been over a month now, and since the 2 adjusters could not come to a conclusion they had to forward it to the Mgr, and that's where it's been sitting for over a week now. Meanwhile, I'm left to pay a deductible. I'm not rich and this is causing me a financial hardship. I am so disappointed with USAA and even after being with them so long, I think after they finally finish with this claim, no matter what the determination is, I have to go. I can't comprehend how I have been a member for this long, never missing payments and this what I get in return.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had my first accident in 28 yrs of driving. Now they are "pending" resolution; saying they can only allow $1,000. The adjuster Edward informed me that he was working with the claims center to get approval for these items. I was never informed that I needed "extra" coverage to cover a bumper/accessories. They certainly dont fail to ask me if I need extra coverage when it comes to my home insurance. 18 yrs with USAA, driving for 28 yrs with no accidents or claims. I will be very unhappy if this is not paid the full amount that it is worth. I will certainly share with all members, and I will certainly drop USAA. Very disappointed, and I expect complete resolution. They never have a problem taking my money, now that I have had an accident; they bring all this up?? There will be legal justification, if they do not uphold their dedication.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have been trying to settle my diminished value of my (then when their insured rear-ended my vehicle was brand new) they offered me $767 when I have supplied them with two different appraisals (one even being from a dealership upon USAA's representative Angelica ** request for me to supply) between the two the range of DIV is between $4356-3800. USAA still claims their offer of $767 is a "fair and reasonable" offer. I am not sure what fantasy land that is considered "fair and reasonable" but here in reality with the documented apparatus also makes their offer a joke. I have all the emails with these statements in them from the representatives from USAA. FYI- you are entitled to be indemnified including for diminishment in value. You have up to three years to settle or to file a lawsuit. (More to come - I will post and share the email communications).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

USAA is unconscionably slow. Now I demand to be made whole, even if I have to go to court trial. I was hit by a USAA insured who admitted fault. I don't want to bother my insurance company. I only am dealing with USAA because it was USAA's insured party's fault. So, I am a third party claimant. USAA left me a voicemail. I spent two solid weeks returning the call and leaving voicemail message after voicemail message. No human ever picked up. I never got any communication.

Now, my body shop is demanding $35/day storage fee, which I can't afford. USAA never looked at the car. I sold the car to junk Cars R Us and they are towing it away and giving me a $120 check. For a luxury V-8 sedan, which basically had its front end smashed in by the insured. I would have been happy to let it be repaired and that be the end of it.

Now, I demand a comparable new car, plus all my other rights under the law, including medical, time off work, and pain and suffering. I only have soft tissue injury, so no lawyer wants to take my case. I have to do it myself. But I will do it. Personal Injury suits are no mystery now, with full internet access. So now I am demanding my full rights under the law to be made whole, including pain and suffering. I mean, the CEO of USAA makes over 5 million dollars a year salary. It is against public policy, against law, and unconscionable for USAA to treat me like yesterday's news. So I've mailed a certified letter, to be followed in time with the filing of a lawsuit in court. I'm already had to increase my blood pressure medication, etc. because of this, and just typing this makes my blood boil!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I've been a loyal member of USAA over the past decade. I've always had my auto insurance payments automatically withdrawn and never thought to check for an increase, seeing as how USAA has/had the history of "supporting the troops". My insurance policy gradually increased over ten years until the point where I shopped around for a cheaper rate. I spoke with representatives on 3 occasions to gain understanding on the price spike. On the first 2 occasions, I was informed that my policy would cover my vehicles from the 15th of the previous month until the 15th of the current month and they were pretty nonchalant to my lack of understanding about the price spikes.

On the 14th of the month I decided to cancel my policy and suddenly the 3rd person is concerned. They tweaked my policy, but still didn't meet or beat my new policy with a different insurer. After about an hour on the phone, the representative realized I was at the point of no return. That's when he informed me that I owed $125 because I was given false information about being covered until the 15th when in actuality I was covered until the 27th. Therefore, I could've waited until the 27th of the month to start my new policy and save $125. After over a decade with one minor accident, they wouldn't work with me to resolve the misinformation.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Returned from deployment in April of 2016, called USAA to notify of my return and to start coverage of vehicle. No issues or so I thought. I PCS to Florida in SEP 16 and transfer my policy. Buy a new car in MAY 17 and was notified my policy was never transferred to include I was not a covered driver on my policy. So even though I had called twice for insurance needs, NEITHER was completed and I was an UNCOVERED motorist and would have had to pay out of pocket. Luckily no incident occurred during that time.

Other issue: I was told as long as my 26' car hauler was attached to the vehicle it carried the same coverage as my vehicle. Called them to inform them the truck and trailer was to be left behind in Homestead during Hurricane IRMA with a reply of the trailer is not covered and it would only cover if it caused damage to another vehicle while attached to my truck. Let's say all business with this company will be discontinued after I get back to Homestead after this storm.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I had USAA insurance for a few years on my 2016 Kia Sorento, I recently found a company that offered me a much lower rate. So, I cancelled my USAA Auto Policy, it was costing me 94.00 a month, new policy with an additional driver is costing me 64.00 a month. I call USAA Insurance to cancel my new policy. They said ok and asked why when I called to cancel. The agent asked me to fax the new policy so she could do a 'side by side' comparison. I also asked the automatic draft be stopped. I was never called back so two days later I called again, cancel my policy, agent says I owed $12.49. I said I would pay it NOT to deduct it automatically. Guess what? They deducted it automatically anyway, causing my automatic auto payment to overdraft the account. Now I AM RESPONSIBLE for a $29.00 overdraft fee.

Bank tries to deduct the payment for my Kia again and ANOTHER $29.00 overdraft fee. All this because a $12.49 payment that I made myself was deducted AGAIN after I told them I would pay it and NOT to use auto pay. After my automobile loan is paid I will NEVER use this institution again. I am going to be on the phone with them yet again today. This is a mess that will takes WEEKS to correct, if ever corrected, all because the insurance agent did NOT stop the automatic payment. Now they have TWO $12.49 payments and keep telling me there is no problem. Meanwhile I have now a total of $58.00 in overdraft fees, all because the agent didn't listen. Just use a different company for whatever you do, avoid USAA.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I eventually subrogated and won money from USAA but they really tried to screw me. Make a long story short but they tried to blame me for 50% of the accident although I was stationary. Parked and the engine off in my parking spot. Yes, you read that correctly. All comes down to money.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

It’s been about 5 weeks & I’m still dealing w/the arrogance of USAA. 7-20-17 I called to get quotes bundling auto & homeowners. They were taking so long collecting information & data on me, I elected to continue the call later that PM. When I called them back & they quoted me their homeowners premium, I opted to not pursue any coverage w/them. It was then they informed that they’d already debited my credit card for the auto premium. WTF?

They did this almost immediately after my initial call. NTL, I requested cancellation -- my auto insurance w/SF remain in effect ‘til 8-7-17. Why would I need double coverage? They agreed & eventually returned my money; still, I keep getting threatening emails & notices from them requesting I re-submit payment. Today, I received a notice telling me that they were informed by my bank card not to release automatic payment to them. Ergo, they will start sending me statements in the mail. Oh… & they end their cute notice with… “Please pay upon receipt.” AGAIN… WTF? I’ve already continued my auto w/SF; & my homeowners as well as flood Ins are not due until… November. Why is USAA tripping?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The other person that backed into my car had USAA insurance so my insurance told me to go and get an estimate because the lady that backed into my car might pay out of pocket so I go on Friday to get estimate. On my way to the body shop, my adjuster from US AAA insurance called me on the phone and said that she was setting up my plane. I told her I was on my way down to the body shop to get my estimate right now. She put in the request, set up the claim and got me the party pass for Rent-A-Car from enterprise and so then I'm assuming I'm all set there and I can make an appointment with my body shop to fix my car.

So I bring it into the shop, I pick up my rental car. They have it since Tuesday and now USAA is disputing the body shops right they only want to pay 75 instead of $95 an hour and they want to put aftermarket or used parts on my 2014 Honda Civic and they say that they can do that because the cars consider old after two years.

I told him no way I don't want aftermarket parts and they say it has to go into their department that investigates what the fair rate is for them to pay and I have to wait for a decision. They were supposed to come out a body shop back today and they did not. So when I called numerous representatives on up on me and told me that The Rent-A-Car was only paid for until tomorrow but I had a few options. One of them was to return the Rent-A-Car because they're not gonna pay for it anymore and have the auto shop out of my pocket until they get a decision from their company that could take 4 to 5 days. They're not sure how long it's gonna take to get a decision from their people and I told him no way I'm not gonna pay.

The body shop and at the body shop deserve to get paid when I pick up my car. The mind you the original Honda parts that I purchased for only $186 plus tax so they were disputing that small amount and they were disputing is a $95 rate and it wanted to only pay my shop $75 and then basically telling me I'm without a car until they make a decision. Terrible insurance company. I would never deal with them again and every time somebody hung up on me nobody would ever call me back. Even though the phone is disconnected or they hung up I heard what was going on and I have to start over again and get my claim number and give them the whole scenario of what is happened from the morning until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I didn't have any results from US AAA.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

When I was 1st rear ended by another car USAA said they would make me whole. I was in no way responsible for the accident. They sent me to an adjuster, who they then sent money to fix my car. Additional damage was found (all fixable) and less then the cost of totaling the car. USAA insists on totaling my car and will not budge. I cannot get another car in the same condition for what they are willing to give me. They do not take into account any of my equipment (new tires, breaks, trailer hitch, roof racks...) and they claim they don't have to look at my comparables, because they assume anyone selling a car on the island is making a profit! They are well under what my car would cost if I had sold it before the accident by at least $1000 to $2000. I'm fed up! I've been with them for over 20 years and this is the first claim!

I have been given several stories, by several representatives, and none add up. Additionally, when I want to know what is going on I have had to call them each time after waiting "48 hours" for them to respond to me... which they never do. We get no straight answers, and it's interesting to me the cost to fix my car is less than totaling it! The car only has 78,000 miles, which in Hawaii is golden. No engine problems, there is literally nothing wrong with the car. I had hoped to drive it for at least 10 more years. They give nothing to ship a car here, they use comparables from a completely different state, where AWD and 4x4's are not as valued as they are here... and we pay extra for uninsured and under insured motorists, yet they will not fix my car and will only total it! They have already said they will go after the other insurance company to pay the claim.

I feel they are playing games, because two of the cars in the accident were insured through Geico, who called and told me they didn't have the money to pay out the claims, since someone in another car had been injured. I'm not sure why I am being penalized for others, and why my insurance company isn't being fair with me, but I am reconsidering who I use and also logging a complaint with the Hawaii Insurance commission. This is just wrong all over!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I was a USAA member for 20+ years when I had to file a claim this summer for the first time - my car was the victim of a hit-and-run in a parking lot, causing $2,500 in damages. The claims experience with USAA was a disaster from start to finish. My policy covered secondary towing and I asked to have it towed from my house because it proved unsafe for me to drive it to the body shop. USAA told me their towing contractor would be dispatched within 1-2 hours and would call me first. The towing company didn't show up until 3 days later (1 business day) and didn't call first, just showed up.

USAA told me they had sent my info to the car rental and I could show up there to pick up my rental car whenever. When I showed up at the car rental the next day, they told me I'd have to come back, as they didn't have a car ready for me yet. USAA told me I could take my car to any body shop I chose. When I chose my own (on recommendation from friends & family) rather than one of USAA's "partners," USAA repeatedly (4-5 times) told me of this fact - as a legal disclaimer, once is fine, but when you do it that many times, it felt like a sales pitch. The body shop did a fantastic job - and they deserve a medal for having to deal with USAA, who made them do six estimates to keep scaling back on things like USAA would only pay for 0.5 hours of labor for a particular task instead of 0.7 hours.

USAA's claims adjuster was not knowledgeable at all - every time they contacted me, I got conflicting information, including how much I would be responsible for paying (e.g. my collision deductible, none of it, or all of it because the other driver was unidentified and thus not covered by the uninsured motorist provision). I understand that insurance law in every state is different - but throughout the claims process I never moved. The claims adjuster should have had some understanding about what the law was for Indiana (I ended up having to pay my collision deductible). They also were very delayed in ordering the police report - even though it was available online within 72 hours (I was able to purchase a copy).

In the middle of the process, USAA asked me to submit online feedback on how things were going. When I did - noting things like they needed to update what they tell members about the towing contractor and car rental processes - all I got was an automated response that they would forward this information on. When the claim had finally been settled, USAA again asked me to submit online feedback about the whole process.

Well, not two minutes after I had hit the "submit" button on the feedback form, I got a call from a USAA supervisor. They hadn't bothered to read the info on the case before calling, but instead spent the next 20 minutes lecturing me about having dared to leave negative feedback, at one point telling me I was too "amped up" about it all. As someone whose job is customer service, I couldn't believe their attitude. I told them that I know people can sometimes have unrealistic expectations, but having read some review sites after the first round of feedback, I had seen some eerily similar experiences from USAA members in other states, which led me to believe it was something systemic, like maybe USAA has gotten too big to handle all their members. That was the last I ever heard from USAA - a subsequent call to them just went to voice mail, and an online contact was never answered.

After this experience, I surveyed my friends and co-workers who had filed a claim with other insurance companies in the last 12 months - none of them had experienced anything remotely like what I had. That led me to switch from USAA to another insurance company. When I called USAA to cancel my policy, they were only interested in knowing which company I had switched to.

That confirmed for me that I had made a good decision in leaving them. I also noted how on their website, members can only leave reviews about their credit cards/banking, not about their insurance. I have no idea if I'll ever have to file another claim, but I wouldn't go back to a restaurant I knew had bad service - why would I trust USAA with something as important as car insurance after having seen them in action?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Absolutely the WORST CREDIT CARD COMPANY. They will randomly freeze your payoff amount for a week if you pay off too much. After having the same card with the same limit for years they reduced it by $2000 out of nowhere despite good credit and paying off far more than the available balance and is absolutely despicable. Do not rely on this company as a credit card company. Just absolutely deplorable business practices and they refuse to right their wrongs.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I am ashamed of USAA and their claim to help veterans. Our truck was damaged very badly from a tree falling on it because of all the rain we had gotten from Hurricane Harvey. We know what liability only means. However this is an extreme situation! I thought, and was led to believe, that USAA helped veterans in need. Apparently not!!! Do not believe their tag line!!! Do not fall for their lies!!! You hear about how people help in times of need like this... but they have fallen way short! Don't expect them to help... AT ALL!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I am a veteran of the US Marine Corps from 1/65 to 1/69. I was wounded in Vietnam in 1966. I lost the use of my right leg and foot. I have had my auto and home insurance with USAA for the past 8 years. Recently my wife of 46 years died and I incurred a lot of hospital bills and etc. I had to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and now USAA treats me as a child who was found wandering on main street. I cannot make any changes to any of my auto policies unless I am coached by one of their unintelligent agents (alias phone operator). Until my FICO scores go up I can't even get new insurance. You will never see me on a TV commercial saying "I am a USAA member for life." They are frauds and probably actors. Any insurance is better than this junk.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Just received the 6 months renewal notice only to find out that the insurance jumped by 18%. USAA claims the increase is due more accidents due to cheaper gas and more people on the road, higher repair costs and higher medical costs!!! So, in 6 months we will be looking at yet another increase for sure - thanks USAA! We have been members for 37 years, had only 3 claims - not our fault - and we have clean driving records! We drive less than 5000 miles a year with 3 cars and are being punished for more drivers on the road etc????

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I used to love USAA, their banking, insurance, everything. But I noticed over the years the insurance has steadily been increasing. It's practically a car note in itself for just two cars. Plus you can no longer make adjustments to premiums online (to make it less expensive). You have to call and they practically pressure you into more expensive coverage. So we switched to Progressive which was less than half the cost. I called USAA to cancel my policy and the guy would not take no for an answer, was very rude and practically called me a liar when I said I had tried other ways to make it less expensive (like put the policy in my husband's name). He refused to cancel my policy until I got so upset I yelled at him.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

USAA fraudulently advertises, misrepresented insurance coverage and claims settlement procedures, policies, launches personal attacks on victim already suffering substantial and irreparable harm; adding not only insults to injury; violates civil rights of victim insured. Disrespectful, discriminatory, biased, prejudiced, took side of fraudulent violator, in collusion, complicit, abusive, violation of my civil rights, claim diminished to suit their narrative. Went so far as to make payment in my maiden name stating that is my real name. That I do not qualify for their insurance. My grandfather WWII veteran fought, injured Dunkirk France, my father military service, my brother Vietnam military service, violator and abuser's brother in law closest military service. Go figure. Not credible or reputable, no integrity, lacks honor, outrageous, egregious; actionable to attack, support, and defend victimizer.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I talked to 5 agents at different times. On the 4th time I called I asked if I can to the immediate supervisor. I cannot AFFORD TO WASTE any more time. She won't do it until I explain to her my issues from the beginning again. And she said that's the company policy. There is a month late fee that none of the representatives can be able to justify. It's not about the money is the principle. Because a couple of months ago they made a mistake of charging my account a late fee. And right after I called them they admitted their mistake they waived that late fee. Month of August 2017 they charged me a late fee again. And every time I called I have a copy of my auto insurance documentations and my observations. They don't have a full understanding what's written on the documentation. In other words they are really confused. The fifth representative his name is Jason.

I read him my documentation 3x. He still didn't understand. He was reading also on his computer the same documentation, he put me on hold and then told me I was right (I believed he talked to his supervisor). After he talked his supervisor, he told me that if they did not receive my August payment the next step I need to set up my auto insurance into AUTO PAY if I didn't agree with that I have to pay my entire balance in full. And my account is no longer qualified for installment payments. I asked him if he can send me a copy of that company policy in writing. He paused for a few seconds and told me he will put me on hold again. I said that's fine. He got back and told me that the company USAA already send me a copy the brochure. And I told him it's been a long time I didn't recall that I received a copy or I maybe misplaced it.

And I asked him if he can send me another one. He said the company only send a copy ONE TIME ONLY. I said it's fair because I'm your auto insurance customer for over ten years with excellent driving record and made no claims for that period of time. I paid fees if my had late payments. But you cannot send me a copy of your policy and or procedures. That being said employees have lack of work knowledge. I had 2 very bad experiences with USAA also, about 2 to 3 years ago right after I paid my past due balance on time to avoid insurance cancellation. I didn't even know that my insurance was canceled. I found out after a week because I was asking for a copy of proof of insurance. And the lady representative that's a big mistake and she fixed it right away. I told mistakes of your company unacceptable. I have all documentations if you need any of that.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I submitted a claim because a prior windshield replacement had started to leak. Seems to be a common occurrence with super duty Ford pickups (Start date July 16 2016). Contracted insurance adjuster comes out, does his initial appraisal of damage and assures me it is a piece of cake repair, no problems. I'll keep you informed 100% of the way (lie #1). Take it to Prime Collision in Saco Maine (avoid this place like the plague).

Once again I am told we will keep you informed 100% of the way (lie #2). Nothing will happen without us letting you know. I also wrote on the intake paperwork nothing beyond the original scope of work happens without my EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT. Lots of family has been in the trade I know how these processes work. A week goes by and I get a supplemental damage estimate to the tune of $6200 to replace the roof panel and a sundry list of other things to include the PCM to the tune of $1172.

It runs fine, still runs fine, apparently the parts swappers at Prime Ford don't listen when I tell them that I have been in the PCM and their factory computer will tell them it is bad, move past that and trouble shoot the problems I have outlined... GEM (general electronic module) and under dash fuse panel have gotten wet. Radio turns on randomly with no key, horn blares when shut off and no one inside, cruise control doesn't work, trailer connections and brakes do not work.

Anyone with any experience with these vehicles know those issues are GEM related. both of those items are less than $700 combined new, they take 10 minutes to remove the old one and put in the new components.

I go in to Prime to find out what the ever living hell is going on. I am told the insurance company needs to approve anything to be done. Really? Am I the owner? The customer? Or is the insurance company. They get an earful. No movement for about a month then I get the payment for the repair, they pull the payment back. They pay the body shop, I raise all kinds of bloody hell, they pull the payment back. Kathy at Prime gets fed up with USAA and just calls and says “Oh, the electrical damage is too expensive to repair, IT IS A TOTAL LOSS.” No supplemental estimate. Just a verbal.

I tell the damage "specialist" it is not a total loss. Have it towed to my house I am going to get it fixed by another shop that will actually work with the customer. I am told this is an option to avoid the total loss and salvage title by the claims adjuster assigned to my claim. NOPE, they towed it to a salvage yard! I find this out, and I go to the yard. Tom the manager was very helpful, after a good 45 minutes of screaming at the USAA rep my truck is on its way home (That was October 2016).

It is now 22 August 2017. My truck is still in limbo, I am still disputing the total loss, they cannot justify the total loss with the paperwork they provide to me, I went and got another estimate over 10% less than what Prime provided… They have another "electrical supplemental repair estimate" for damage that might be found. They cannot, or will not provide it to me.

I have had my truck back for 10 months. I was trained as an automotive technician and was certified before I joined the navy and became a machinist, do you think I haven't done the troubleshooting necessary to figure out what needs to be fixed? Dried the truck out and maintained the watertight integrity of the cab? What on earth could it take to drum up the repairs by almost $2000 just to get it over the TLF? Oh yeah, it would be the way that USAA does business when they are tired of dealing with a claim. They make a habit of doing this. Read through the rest of the reviews, I mean complaints. They are going to lose another long time and up until this claim satisfied customer.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
    • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
    • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
    • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
    • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
    • Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky