2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Manage your policy and claims online
  • Affordable rates for USAA members

CONS

• Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: July 30, 2020

USAA has been the very best car and housing insurance company I have ever used in my 50+ years of driving, I am now 76 years old. True, this company mainly insures Military people, both active, inactive or disabled, which in and by itself, has turned out to be an excellent idea. The customer service representatives are knowledgeable, kind, courteous, respectful and work very hard to satisfy your needs or claims.

The claim processes, which I’ve had to make use of a couple of times during my time as a USAA customer, has been easy to use, the easiest I’ve ever run across to file a claim with, and are very honest and reasonable when completing your claim. The time between making a claim and getting the vehicle fixed or your property claim resolved is the best and quickest I’ve ever come across. Their company security, involving your accounts, is excellent. Their website, for the most part, is easy to sign into and to negotiate throughout your entire online account. I repeat, this insurance company is, without a doubt, the very best I’ve ever done business with.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I've had USAA, at different times throughout my life, and have had it for 7 or 8 years straight now. I broke my back in a car accident, an off duty cop pit maneuvered me, and my car hit a wall, during evening rush hour, rolling over 4 times, and his friends issued me a reckless driving ticket. I sent USAA pictures of the damage, gave them my statement about what really happened, before I beat the ticket in court, they sent me my $100k uninsured motorist coverage. I never even asked for it, though they knew I practiced personal injury law for over 30 years.

Then I had a collision, in Death Valley, CA, a cop wrote up a 5 pages, front and back (I never saw this in a multiple traffic death case) stating how the accident couldn't happen, like I said, that the accident had to have happened somewhere else (He actually stated that, "You city slickers always make up that accidents happened here in the desert, when they happened some place else, because you were at fault!"). Yet they paid my over $4,000 in damages, before the investigation by his supervisors resulted in him calling and apologizing for being so belligerent, making him go to counseling, after he was off duty, for 3 weeks, so he could work on his behavior.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have had USAA for 10 years and never had any problems. Customer service is great and ready to help. I have my auto insurance and homeowner's insurance with them. I know people think that only immediately family like spouse and children can be added, but I had my sister on my insurance when we were living together. When I needed to make a claim, it was so quick and easy that I don't even remember dealing with it at all. I would bank with USAA if there were local opportunities. They were the first place I checked when I wanted a home loan too. Unfortunately, my credit or something wasn't great enough to be qualified and we had to go elsewhere. But I absolutely love USAA.

I am dealing with an issue from about 5 years ago and I was able to log into the USAA website and chat with a member who almost instantly was able to get the old policy documents I needed for proof. I saw that it says USAA is for active and retired military, but that is not the full extent. Veterans are also welcome, you don't need to put in the full 20 years or be active to qualify so long as you have your DD214 (you may need to be honorably discharged though, not sure).

Whenever I contact them, they always inquire about changes in the family or status. They strive to be up-to-date. They add the children on the account, which is great for their own USAA coverage. USAA isn't just an insurance company, they care about your family and needs. I am so happy to have USAA, I checked around for other insurance several years ago when I added my sister on and found that insurance rates were much higher. I would recommend USAA to all active military, retired, veterans, and dependents.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for three years now and have made two claims. One was for an accident that I had with another vehicle. She was making a left going north and I, on the other side of the road, was making a left going south and we met in the middle. She had GEICO insurance. This was my first accident that caused $2000+ in damages. I received letters and phone calls from her insurance company that stated I was at fault and I would be responsible for her damage and injuries.

I contacted USAA and expressed my concern for this since my insurance company and the state accident investigator told me they thought she was at fault, though no citation was issued to either party. USAA assured me that this is normal and I should just let the insurance companies hash it out, which they did. While my vehicle was at the dealer getting accident repairs a customer from their parts department backed into my vehicle and did extensive damage to the undamaged side of my vehicle. All told, my vehicle was out of commission for two months, just two weeks after I purchased it. It spent more time on the dealer body shop floor than it had in my driveway. USAA was on top of all of this and they kept tabs on the progress of my repairs and kept me informed. Now that's one heck of an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My wife got hit by a vehicle which ended up totaling her Honda Ridgeline. From the initial calls, to getting the rental, to getting a fair reimbursement from USAA, the whole process went extremely smoothly. We didn't have to speak to agents many times over the phone, since the website gives a clear overview of where things stand in the claims process. That being said, the times we did have to speak to a representative, I got clear answers and friendly treatment each time. I was expecting a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised. I got the honest feeling that each person wanted to help us get our situation resolved for us and cared about the outcome. This all coming after a significantly lower premium after switching from Liberty Mutual, who we had been a customer for over 10 years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

USAA is the worst insurance company! I have been a loyal customer of theirs for 33 years (since 1987). This is the 2nd time I needed them and they have let me down each time. I pay a lot for my coverage and I maintain a $500 deductible on my insurance. Hurricane Isaias hit yesterday and brought down trees and destroyed my fence. They conveniently let me know today that wind damage does not have a $500 deductible, but 1% of the total policy, which is roughly $8,000.00. What a crock and a scam. They let me down during Hurricane Irene as well when there was flooding in my basement and they wouldn't pay because the flooding came from rain water and not from a busted pipe. Don't ever use USAA.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the experience part for the customer in mind with every transaction. I Have, at times, considered switching to a cheaper insurance, but when I hear of the customer service experience at the cheaper, I am reassured that USAA is right for my needs.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I get a great discount combining car insurance with, checking, savings, and renter's ins. I left another ins company when that one had no one to report a theft to after 5 pm and then it was a third party. USAA uses their own employees to process claims which I, unfortunately, had to use 2 weeks after starting car ins. when a drunk driver hit me. The USAA rep was very easy to deal with. Their preferred auto repair shop was very easy to deal with. Everything was repaired and done 3 days after the crash.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

This company puts its customers ahead of profits. With no shareholders, USAA puts its value on the service that it delivers to its customers, through better rates and discounts for bundled services. It also has a military exclusivity to it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

USAA insurance coverage covers everything you need. When I was in an accident, they sent funds before repairs were even made. The service is fast and quick. Customer service is excellent. You can depend on USAA in good times or bad. The Website and mobile app is easy to use as well. I would not want to be with any other car insurance company. And they support Veterans and their families.

USAA author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers auto insurance and other insurance options for active-duty, retired and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members. The company sets up flexible payments at no charge. Customers get discounts for storing vehicles at a military base.

• Coverage and plans: USAA offers standard coverage so customers meet their state guidelines. Additional coverage includes identity theft coverage, military uniform coverage and replacement cost coverage. USAA policyholders can also add accident forgiveness — if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• Cost: The average 30-year-old can expect to pay about $150 a month for car insurance through USAA.

• Discounts: USAA has discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses, bundling, families, vehicle storage, new cars, multivehicle policies and low usage.

• Standout feature: USAA has discounts and policies tailored specifically for U.S. military members and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor