USAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been with USAA for close to 17 years, having banked with them and used them for my auto and renter's insurance. I have enjoyed my experience for the most part, with the exception of some instances where they held larger checks for unreasonable amounts of time, but I've found this to be true of most banks. My auto insurance, though a bit high, has been flawless. I've made several roadside assistance claims and a few claims for fender benders, and I've never had to wait more than 24 hours for insurance payments. Roadside assistance has bailed me out of several "oops I locked my keys in my car" situations. I've never had to file a claim on my renter's insurance, so I can't really speak to that. They reimburse ATM fees and give customers a refund at the end of each year based on the amount they earn above what they need to cover expenses, so that's a great perk.

Recently, I applied for a VA backed mortgage loan and got pre-qualified immediately. I gave them accurate information, though I realized my credit was low and I would be starting a new job soon, both things that would make the process more difficult and things that had discouraged me from applying in the past. They acted as if it was no big deal and even gave me a higher loan pre-approval based on my new salary. My originator and processor were friendly and responsive, but two days before my closing date, my loan was denied because my credit was too low, I didn't have enough time with my current employer, and I didn't have enough liquid assets - (I made sure I had what my originator told me I would need). There was never any mention of a need for more assets above what I would need for closing.

I realize it's the underwriters who make the final decision, but I'm confident there is some common knowledge in the department about what will and will not fly for this company, and I was led to believe there wouldn't be any problems getting the loan and then had the rug pulled out from under me right before closing. Additionally, since homeowner's insurance was required to complete the application and I was loyal to the company, I went ahead and got it with USAA. The premium was absolutely ridiculous, but being a first time home buyer, I didn't realize that until I was advised by another lender to shop around. I've since found comparable insurance for less than half of USAA's premium. To summarize, banking, auto and renter's insurance are great. Stay away from the mortgage department unless you have really good credit and plenty of liquid assets, and get your homeowner's insurance somewhere else no matter who you are.

I was rear ended by a USAA car insurance customer and she refused to acknowledge the accident even though we had photos of the damage and an estimate for $830. USAA denied the claim because she refused to acknowledge the accident. This person is a total fraud and USAA did nothing but protect her. This is total insanity. I called and spoke to Scott in claims and he basically laughed at me saying, "well you have liability don't you?" I didn't rear end my own car and they did nothing to try and get this fraud of a woman to pay. They protect their own customers regardless of dishonesty, guilt, or fraud. What a sham of a company. Terrible unethical people. Zero stars...

I had an incident on 04/17/2017 where one of USAA's clients backed in to my vehicle. We were both parked in front of our community mail boxes at the time, to be fair there is no dedicated parking in this area. The driver admitted that she did not look behind her before backing up. She was very apologetic over the incident and provided her USAA insurance information and immediately filed the claim via her phone application. She told me right at the time of filing that I would be contacted by Robert **. Who was the claims adjuster assigned the claim. I was not contacted until 3 days after the accident occurred. That was after I called, and spoke with one representative to make sure the claim had been filed, and called 2 other times and left voicemails with Robert.

Once he finally contacted me, as per normal procedure, he told me he needed a statement from me. I gave him my account as to what happened and he asked me a number of questions. That was fine, though it seemed to turn in to more of an interrogation rather than just getting a statement. Though the questions may have been customary, it was very frustrating to be asked over and over again for specifics such as how many feet was, I or the other vehicle, from this or that, and how many seconds until impact. When I responded a few seconds, it was a few meaning 1-2, 3-4, 5-6? I did not have a measuring tape or a stop watch at the time, and if those types of details were necessary, he should have contacted me when it was fresh in my mind, rather than 3 days later.

Before ending the 39 minute and 4 second conversation, he said that USAA was not admitting 100% responsibility at the time, even though their client HIT ME, as it was not that "Cut and Dry" of a case, but said he would set up a courtesy inspection for my vehicle as if it was a favor. The body shop contacted me right away to set it up an estimate for the next morning. After the inspection, I was asked if I wanted to schedule the repair. I replied that I hadn't heard back from the adjuster as to the determination of the claim, and asked if he could contact USAA first. He was able to reach another representative of USAA who told him USAA accepted 65% liability, but not an explanation as to why. I then called USAA at to inquire as to why they were only accepting 65% liability. I spoke to a representative, that said there was a Florida Statute noted as to why they considered me partially liable.

I left another voicemail for Robert and wondered if the determination had been made, why I hadn't been contacted immediately to explain the determination. He finally called back and said that the FL Statute noted, was due to the fact that I was parked at an angle and no part of my car should not have been more than 12 inches from the curb, therefore I was 35% liable, and said I could contact my insurance company, if I did not want to accept the determination. He did not offer to assist in scheduling a rental if I needed it, I had to ask, and confirm that it would also only be 65% covered. The whole experience was the worst I have ever had with an insurance company, my own, or other, and I felt that the claims adjuster had been very unprofessional from the start. I asked him how long he had been with the company, to which he replied "that's irrelevant".

I emailed USAA on 04/26/17 to file a complaint regarding the issue, to which I received an automated response saying that they received it and it would be reviewed as quickly as possible. It is now 05/03/2017, and I never received any reply at all from them. The details below are what I included in my complaint to them:

1) Their client admitted that she did not look behind her before starting motion in reverse. 2) My car was parked. The other passenger in my vehicle stepped out of the car to check the mail, saw her backing up and literally tried to stop her by yelling and trying to put his hands on her truck, and then jumped out of the way so he wouldn't be hit. 3) Their client still didn't look in her rear view mirror and admitted her radio was loud, which is why she didn't hear or see anything. 4) Their client was parked parallel to the set of mail boxes, located on the 2 lane road facing east. Once their client put her car in reverse and was in motion, she was literally driving in reverse on the left, therefore, the wrong side of the road prior to impact.

If all the factors above remained the same, it wouldn't have mattered if I was also parked parallel to the mail boxes, in other words not at an angle or incorrectly, their client would have still hit my car, it would have just been a different part of my car. It was not a large claim, less than $1000, therefore, I did not involve my insurance company, but given the facts, I feel as though USAA should have paid 100%, this is literally over just a few hundred dollars. Come on USAA, give me a break. I hope I NEVER have to deal with USAA again.

We called in to inquire about our account. They asked us, as they should, some security questions. They told us we got them wrong. I asked how do we correct that information? They said they couldn't tell us because we got the answers wrong. You can see that this is going nowhere. I spoke to 5 different people over the course of 1 hour and 15 minutes with no end in sight to the circular logic. We finally got a power of attorney who called in on our behalf and they got the information corrected. An unbelievable scenario.

I was in an auto accident back in October of 2016. It is now April of 2017. Because of the injury I was excused from work from my doctor, but my employer fired me because of the time I had to miss. They would not accept my doctors note. I have been going to the doctors for multiple things since the accident has happened. I was not the driver at fault in the accident, but it was my car in the accident. I suffered from a severe concussion, whiplash, and nerve damage. I couldn't feel my fingers or feet for months. I continued to go to the doctor to try to get better and build my strength. USAA will not help me and refuses to help me with my bills. The reason being is because the accident happened in my vehicle but I was not the driver. They are refusing to cover any of my medical bills. I have talked to agent over agent and manager over manager. They won't let me file with the other drivers insurance because it was in my vehicle.

When I reached out to the other drivers insurance (State Farm) they said they would be willing to help cover my bill if USAA would help them with the claim. Do not ever choose this as your insurance. This company is supposed to help our soldiers and family members of them. They are not doing that. It is not stress-free and they do NOT make it easy. Managers and adjusters have removed themselves off the claim. No one is willing to help. I am now stuck in collections with the hospital because I owe over $5,000 from emergency room visits and doctors appointments. The hospital can't help me because USAA declined the bill with the reasoning that these appointments are not regarding the accident. It's a joke if you ask me. They should not be the company that our soldiers have to deal with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

USAA stinks to the max. It is all bait and switch. Just got the renewal on homeowners, went up $200.00 for no reason whatsoever. We are shopping now prior to renewal and leaving USAA in the dust. Horrible horrible company. Auto has already been written with another company and is effective at midnight tonight. New company gave us car rental which we didn't have and lower our deductibles on collision and comprehensive to $250.00 per occurrence. We were at $500 deductible with USAA. Goodbye.

When you need them they are not there for anyone. Everything is email on their website. You never speak to a live representative and make sure you never have to put in a claim on your car. If they can they will total your car immediately. Dealer gave me a price to fix my car, $600.00. Their adjuster who I'm sure is a subcontractor had damages at $2900.00. Are you flipping kidding me?

This company used to be great... Not anymore... Worst service ever. The guy that works in the CEO investment escalation office is a complete ** clown. Very rude and condescending voice message left on my phone. Would never recommend this company to anyone.

Worst claim service ever. Also, you will never get a hold of adjuster. They say you are rude and hang up on you. Every time when I call them, different person answers and give me wrong information. So stressful and it is never ending. They don't know an inch of what the customer service should be. Stay away from this company for anything.

I have to say that my customer service experience had been at least decent, though never really had to call in to customer service until this incident. My wife's grandparents, her family, and my family have all used USAA. I had a home loan through USAA and then started to do an auto-loan through them as well. I was planning on switching more of my accounts over to them until the following happened. I had applied for an auto-loan. The pre-approval was quick and easy. I had decided to use their car buying service through TrueCar. I eventually found a vehicle and brought in the paper to the dealership. Signed all the paperwork and brought the vehicle home. Easy, right!? This is where it goes downhill.

I had called USAA the day after to just confirm the dealership sent in the paperwork and to see if it was on track for funding the dealership. Everything was fine. Then three days later, the dealership calls me and says they denied my loan. I was a bit confused. I hadn't heard from USAA about this. I called USAA up and then the lady says, "USAA has the right to deny service - we are no longer doing business with you." My jaw dropped. I was so confused on why?! My credit is outstanding and everything up until now has been great. I proceeded to request to speak with a manager as the current person could not answer any additional questions. She said no manager was around and it would take 24 hours to speak to a manager. I figured some mistake had been made. I told them I needed to speak to someone today as the dealership needed to know what was going on.

I ended up calling again to hear the same response (that they must be reading from a screen), "USAA is no longer doing business with you." I was amazed at how difficult it was to speak with a manager or anyone that could tell me what was going on. I asked one representative if I could just go to the huge USAA office here in town. Once I finally reached a manager, the only way I did this was that I insisted on waiting on the phone until one was available (this took a total of 2 hours). He proceeded to help call different departments to try to understand as well. He seemed just as confused and apparently their systems don't help them. I was in tears.

I ended up driving home that day and stopping in at a local credit union. They were super helpful. Pre-approved, and was able to work directly with the dealership and fund them within 24 hours (whereas USAA had been over a week and still no call from them - had to hear it from the dealership first in which case, I looked like a fool). I **finally** got a call from USAA days later - that they made a mistake and now I am a customer again! They didn't offer to help rectify the situation, didn't offer anything for all the inconvenience, didn't even say they were sorry for all the problems. It was interesting though, I had to call again the next day after all of this went down and the lady on the other end said, "Oh, we have heard of your situation." Almost as if some memo or otherwise went out to all the call center people on it. Nice that they sent something internally but as a customer I haven't received anything.

It is hurtful most of all that my family has been a valued customer for generations and within a week I became without explanation a customer that USAA is no longer doing business with - and there was no explanation. I guess I am thankful they figured out the problem. I think they lost that personal touch they used to have. At least speaking with some veterans on my current experience with USAA. It sounds like they didn't always used to be this way - they weren't so corporate. Hope this helps someone in their decision process.

My husband was in a MVA on March 28th. The 18 wheeler that hit him was found at fault (got a ticket). We filed under our insurance, USAA, with the understanding they would subrogate. Originally, the car was found repairable. On Monday, April 10th, it was determined to be a total loss. We were told when we originally filed our claim if it was declared a total loss we would receive 20% of the cash value to purchase a new vehicle. USAA is now claiming they are required to send the 20% benefit I have under my policy for car replacement assistance to the lien holder, Suntrust. No one at USAA has been able to show me where my policy or law requires this, as they admitted it is an "internal policy" and contradicts their original statement when I filed the claim (and my coverage documents).

USAA has sent a total settlement letter to the lien holder, Suntrust, for the amount of $33,034.86. They valued my car at $27,521.66. However, they are including the car replacement amount ($5,513.20) in the total settlement to Suntrust. Even with the $33,034.86 Suntrust will not be made whole and my gap insurance will have to pick up the remaining amount. In order for me to receive the car replace assistance funds, USAA now wants Suntrust to provide, in writing, that they will not require USAA to send them the $5513.20. The problem is they have not provided Suntrust with a breakdown of the settlement, additionally it is not Suntrust's position to tell an insurance company how to disburse their funds. I think USAA knows this and that is why they are making it as if Suntrust requires this.

My concern is this is a subrogation case and if USAA were to give me the $5513.20 they would not be able to recoup the funds from the other insurance company. Therefore, since they are obligated to pay the car replacement assistance under the policy they have chosen to pay it to the lien holder under the "total settlement" and will subrogate it.

In 16 Mar 2017 had a USAA insured driver pull out in front of me in KY. He is a TN resident and so I am. He is an active military. I am a veteran. I being poor had no insurance. Police investigation shows he is at fault and admitted as such to both. The claims adjuster Kenneth never attempted to call me. A week later I walk to the USAA office in TN to see about filing a claim. They don't have any paperwork yet haven't contacted me about a statement when Kenneth finally gets hold of me says waiting speak to the witness as had to send a letter because no mobile #. Based on if hearsay from the witness he is trying to fault me 20%. Told them "nope your driver 109%" and asked who gave him the right to pass fault his excuse.

I'm an insurance adjuster. My car is still sitting totaled because I'm not settling for 20% fault when I didn't break any law. Just asked Kenneth and his manager Michelle if the witness was a radar, a certified speed observer and a expert at vehicle speed while driving. So expect to be railroaded by USAA on any and all claims. Doesn't matter if you're a veteran or active duty. They will screw you.

My wife was hit by an insured driver with USAA, and in the beginning they seemed they were going to do everything in their power to help the claims process along. We were satisfied by their initial response however, even after their driver admitting fault, the process become much slower and the adjuster's story for delays in getting the claim taken care of became more wild. A part of the process that was suppose to take 3-5 days, supposedly was backlogged and now would take 10-14 days. How does a process triple in time? I would be fired if I delayed something three times longer than it should normally take in my job.

The adjusters I spoke with were helpful at first as well but as the time ran longer so did the issues with processing the claim. Very upsetting how such a great company would ignore the most important part of their insurance they sell, the claims process. If you want insurance that will be on your side and help you through the process and make sure they stand by their word, LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!

My son was hit by a person with USAA car insurance. So far this has gone from bad to worse. We had his truck towed to a local location after the wreck. Instead of sending an adjuster over to look at it we were informed that the truck was going to be towed to someplace 30 minutes away for them to look at. They would not talk about sending an adjuster to us. Then when they called with an offer, they wanted to total the truck and not give us a fair market value for it. My husband said he would only take that amount if we got the truck back because he felt like it could be fixed. They declined.

The next day when they called again and reached no agreement my husband said he wanted the truck back. He had planned on taking it to get an outside estimate on it. First USAA said he couldn't have it back and after my husband persisted they said the truck was no longer even at the location USAA had taken it to, and that it had been moved to a location an additional 30 minutes away. (Now the truck is 1 hour away). My husband was finally told they would sign off on him picking it up. When he gets there the location is actually a salvage company and the truck which was still drivable when it left the first local tow yard has now got marks where someone has moved it with a forklift and the engine/radiator which was fine when it left the scene of the accident is now clanking and making horrible noises where the radiator fan has been somehow bent up with transporting.

My husband did not take the truck because he says he didn't want them to be able to accuse him of having damaged it after he took it. By the end of the afternoon the insurance company had already called him to say that the truck had not been moved with a forklift (he had not even placed a call to them yet to report his findings). Who knows if this will be worked out or how much we will be in the hole when this is over with. USAA has already insisted that the rental truck we got for a week be returned because they don't give you a rental after 3 days from the when they make you an offer. What a joke of an insurance company!

USAA uses unfair practices to rate the value of vehicles involved in a total loss - my vehicle was totaled by a USAA driver that ran through a stop sign and T-boned my wife. My vehicle was compared to 15 other vehicles in the market in which not one of these units had as much equipment or options that my vehicle had such leather, heated seats, power lift gate etc. but most of the units without this equipment were given higher values to include vehicles that have higher miles. I have been in the Automotive Industry for 32 years... So I researched every vehicle to find most were rental vehicles, many had at least 1 accident and several of the vehicles used to compare the values did not have the equipment listed in the comparison.

I challenged the value of my 1 owner accident-free vehicle that had all service records and no one would return my calls... 15 messages left with the Total Loss Representative and 10 messages left with the supervisor - still no return call. I received an email that stated, "The value/settlement amount is not negotiable, and will remain the same until you are ready to settle." This company needs to be reviewed by the Insurance Commissioner for unfair practices, it has been 30 days and I have not received payment nor has the lien holder been paid the balance on my vehicle though they stopped paying for a rental vehicle over 10 days ago. This company is disgrace to the auto insurance industry.

Please consider that the reviews here have more credibility and have some truth to them. I have been a loyal customer to USAA for 24 years. Faithfully paid my bills on time, every time. In the last six months I have had two incidents. The first incident I walked out of a convenient store and my driver's door was crushed in and damaged. No witnesses provided any solid information other than white van. I was parked legally and did not see the incident. USAA treated me like a second rate citizen, but that's not the reason for the review.

Fast forward four months. I was stationary in rush hour traffic. A pick-up truck side swiped me and kept going down the highway. The car behind me had a young boy inside traveling with his grandmother making a short video of the traffic to let his mother know he was going to be late. That video, caught the incident and got the license plate number of the pick-up. I gave that info to USAA and the police. Police report said, Not-at-fault Hit and Run. USAA again treated me like a criminal and failed to represent me throughout the process. A police report and the other's insurance company accepted fault, but USAA is only your best buddy if you never need them.

USAA left me stranded on the road and after four hours, I called a friend to come pick me up, lucky I know a guy that has a car hauler. My truck unsafe to drive was taken to the repair shop that fixed it four months prior. I am without vehicle, to no fault of my own, and USAA would not even help me with contact information for the other vehicle's insurance company to make arrangements. I paid my deductible, which is paid by the other vehicle when they are at fault, paid for my own rental car and my time. Yes, first you must understand the laws and industry standards. Law in my state says if you are a victim of a hit and run your insurance company cannot charge you a deductible or raise your rates. Well USAA did both for both incidents.

I bank with USAA, have my homeowner's insurance with USAA and my boat is insured by USAA. I am simply disappointed. All those years, they cashed my checks and smiled. I called GEICO to change over thinking it would cost more, and it is actually much less. I am paying for Auto Insurance and getting the house and boat for free. I paid USAA $68,000 for Insurance over 24 years. I needed less than $2,500.00 to cover both incidents that were not my fault. USAA is not a Veteran's best friend.

Unfortunately, I've had three insurance claims with them in the last 2 years. Fortunately, it was with them. I've had nothing but stellar service, but this last one takes the cake. I started a claim yesterday on a leak. I send them the first bill from the plumber and they cut me a check in 10 minutes!!! That is service. I will be with them for life.

We recently are trying to help my father in law with charges on his USAA visa card. He has served in 2 wars and is a disabled veteran. We have a legal power of attorney for his account. It took days to get us approved by USAA to help him. He has dementia and can't function without daily care. USAA said our legal "POA" was not up to their standards and we had to jump hoops to get their POA filled out. Then there were many charges on my father in law's account that were made by companies taking advantage of his condition and were reoccurring. After hours of contacting these companies to stop payment my husband called USAA to notify them not to approve charges. They would NOT do it. They said it was on us to clear it up and if more charges came through we would have to pay them. Unbelievable as to how a former disabled vet and we have been treated!!!

I own an American Express card and whenever a charge is unwarranted on my account I do not have to handle anything. They call the company, take it off our account and block any further charges. DO NOT WASTE your time getting one of these visa cards with poor customer service and hours of labor on bad charges. Instead get an AMX card. So worth it and fabulous customer service!!!

AWFUL Customer service in auto claims. They were very condescending. And rude. I've had problems with their Crosstown Office before though. Both as a security Officer there and as a client of over 16 years. One call to those pricks was more than enough to make me switch to Geico.

We have had USAA for about 20 years. And we have never had an accident until now. I wrecked the car in a front end collision on Dec 22, 2016. When I submitted the claim on Dec 23 with pictures they wrote me a letter stating they anticipated a total loss of the vehicle and please clean out the car and surrender it to them which I did immediately.

Over a week later they picked it up via tow truck bringing it to their inspection facility, and it took them weeks more to just have the initial inspection done. They never even notified us the inspection was done or the result until we got a check in the mail for about $3300 and called to ask what was going on. Then they said the car was repairable and it was only going to be about $3800 to complete the repairs and they deducted the $500 deductible from the check.

In disbelief We had them tow it to our body shop and the shop very quickly determined it was going to be about double that estimate, stating to me they felt the car should have been totaled. As he dug into the vehicle making the repairs there were an additional 5 supplemental repair bills added above and beyond the original quote the insurance gave us. They paid the supplement estimates and a timely manner but when I picked up the car there were some things wrong with it still that I could tell just by driving it.

I contacted the shop immediately as well as the insurance company to let them know I would be taking the car back. The body shop stated that for intricate engine work they would have to send the car out anyway so if I preferred they would recommend that I just take it to the dealership that performed service on it the day before the accident.

More than another month later I still do not have my car and USAA is refusing to pay the additional damages found and I find out they inappropriately handled the claim from the beginning because they completely cut out the bank in the process who technically owns the car. On and the day I submitted the claim I personally made sure I gave USAA the loan information and also notified the bank of the accident. At this point they have repaired the car at an 80% value of the car and it is still not done. This car should have been totaled from the beginning. And four months later I still do not have my car and I'm making loan payments.

After 21 loyal years and a clean driving record, we took our vehicle to a mechanic after hearing noises. He stated the engine was about to blow and to drive the vehicle home immediately & contact our insurance company. I filed a claim and was assisted by the very rude Jackie **. She stated it was common wear and tear and they would not cover anything not even a rental car. It's a well maintained Dodge Ram with 80,000. So much to my dismay I was not going to accept a definite no!

Our closest large mechanic shop is 400 miles away since we live in Key West and when I stated, "So should we drive it to Miami and let it explode then you would cover it," she said, "No. that would be fraud mitigation." She stated my husband may not drive the car enough to lubricate the parts. I told her my father in law is a master mechanic and also a USAA member and she said have him take a look at it. After her sarcastic remarks and me about to explode I asked to speak to her supervisor. Her supervisor Melinda returned my call and stated she had heard how I had been treated and I said "if you were a supervisor and heard how disrespectful and unhelpful she was why didn't you intervene"? Total lie!! I told her I would be filing a complaint with the BBB on their customer service and when I asked for her name she said it was irrelevant. Luckily I got it from her voicemail!

I have had multiple car loans, a boat loan, home insurance, auto insurance and credit card services through this company and I will be cancelling ALL business with them. We are not only at a total loss for the vehicle but honesty obviously gets you nowhere! What if I just let the truck explode and then they would have been stuck with possible casualties and accidents. This company has gone downhill. Switched boat insurance today to Geico, saved $1000/year and have premium coverage and my homeowners. I will be saving $300/year with more coverage through Geico as well. USAA is great at taking money but wow my first claim and they are finding every way to get out of it!!! Absolute disgrace to military families!!!

I am reviewing USAA as a member since 1999. I see nothing but 1 star reviews and scratch my head. (??) I also do not like that none of the higher ratings are posted. I know they are out there! I don't get it at all. This is a class "A" company. I have many accounts with them at this point and am very satisfied. All of their products are top-notch. The service is phenomenal when they are contacted; their representatives are helpful, courteous and eager to help. I have had nothing but a good relationship with them. Even when dealing with a claim in the past, the service is fast and efficient. Any policy changes can be made quickly and easily online. Couldn't be better! I plan to stay for the duration.

As many people have described I had a problem with automatic payments on three occasions. My calls date June 2016, November 2016, and March 2017. Upon each call I had called in to set up/resolve automatic payment problems. The first time I was told that it would be set up and no worries about having to call and check. I received a no pay notice about two months later. After checking the status of my Checking account I showed that the funds were plenty. The tech was capable of processing my payment manually, told me he had set up new auto payments. All was dandy until November where the same issue had happened. Upon calling and talking with the supervisor I was told that an automatic call would notify me upon no pay (requested because lack or internet/permanent location to receive mail).

All was good or so I thought when I received a notice of cancellation to the home address upon returning from my extended time away. Checked the account and all looked fine/funds available. Upon calling March 2017 the tech had read the notes from the previous call that stated an automatic call would notify me. She explained that they had no way to set up such notifications and whoever told me was misinformed. She also explained that because my account had been canceled I would have to reapply for a quote that would be more expensive.

I detested this explaining that she had admitted that the problem was their fault and that charging me an additional $50 a month on top of my bill would cause me to walk. Did nothing to secure me. If you admit that the problem is caused by misinformation told to your customers you need to step up and fix the issue. Read THE REVIEWS AS MULTIPLE PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES.

We cancelled our auto insurance after 15 years at USAA. GEICO was able to save us more than fifty percent off our policy. That being said, we cashed out refund check from USAA and went on. It wasn't until almost a month later that we noticed another 250$ charge on our checking account. Apparently USAA charged us for another month that we didn't have a policy and then when we called them would only refund our money after two weeks. According to them it could be ten business days before we get the money they stole from our account. Luckily we have enough to cover this Cir and extra 250$ is a lot to most people. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I've been with USAA for 35 years and was one of their strongest advocates. The price of their insurance is the best out there. Now I know why. It's because when you finally have something happen, and need them to insure it, they give you the runaround and don't pay. You know, stuff that you expect to get from other people's insurance. My car has not been driveable for 2 months and I have no idea why. They keep blaming it on insufficient data from the adjuster and tell me to call him and have him provide more information. I do that and never hear back. I call them and they say I need to talk to the adjuster. I call the adjuster and he says he has been talking to them and gave them everything they asked for. I've been getting the complete runaround for over 10 weeks on a claim that would cost them less than $500 to pay out. Now I know why their insurance is so cheap.

USAA requires policyholders to belong to a military family. Both my parents and wife's father served in the military. My father died in a VA hospital. When setting up our account a USAA representative spoke with my 80 year old father in law and confirmed his service. We were told by USAA everything was all set. We changed both our auto and two separate homeowner policies to USAA (lots of work). Six weeks later I get a cancellation notice from USAA. I call them and they state they need my father in law's DD214 or I get cancelled in two weeks. My father in law is retired and on a long term vacation and won't be back until May. USAA says "Sorry". This is on them they approved the account. Now I'm stuck finding different insurance. And they took a lot of personal information from my father in law and us. So now we both get an abundance of junk mail and emails from them. This company is a shame. Stay away.

I am not a USAA customer. My experience with them was because I was hit by one of their clients, who rear-ended me. This accident was clearly his fault and he was cited, and USAA did admit responsibility. However dealings with the company from that point forward have all been difficult. First I submitted my estimate via email, and received a confirmation email. I heard nothing back about the claim so I called. I left a message with the adjuster Jason (I may have spoken to him very briefly prior to getting my estimate but I never spoke to him after that time). Jason did not call me back. I called back and reached someone else who said they did not have my estimate, BUT that there was a "limits issue" with the insurance.

I didn't see how that could be the case - the car accident occurred in Ohio and there is a $25,000 minimum in Ohio, so that would apply - the adjuster said that they were "looking into that" (how does an Ohio certified adjuster not know that?). I sent the estimate again, and then had to wait for AIS to verify the estimate. I received a call from AIS saying I needed to get an estimate. I said I sent the estimate twice to USAA so AIS had to call USAA to get the estimate (which the USAA person said they had already sent to AIS). I waited a few more days, and called the adjuster, Jason (who again never called me back). I then received an email confirmation that the claim would be paid. I called back to see about scheduling the repair and the rental car and again left a message with Jason (who again never called me back).

So I called again and got someone else who helped me with the rental car, and said that the rental car would only be covered while the car was in the shop getting repaired. Of course. So I receive the rental car, and my car is in the shop, unable to be driven. Since it is a 2016 Range Rover they're having trouble getting some of the parts. Since the car that rear ended me dove under my car and hit the exhaust they really couldn't see all the damage until they got under the car and took it apart. After 1 week my car still was not ready, but then I started getting calls from the rental car agency that the insurance company is not going to pay for the rental car past 1 week. I call back and again get the adjuster, Jason's, voice mail and leave a message which he does not return again (I haven't spoken with him since BEFORE I sent my estimate!)

I call back and get another adjuster on the phone. They tell me that they explained when I took the rental car that they only cover the active repair time in the shop which means if the car is waiting for parts it's not active repair time, despite the fact that my car cannot be driven. This obviously was NOT clearly explained to me. They said I shouldn't have taken my car to the shop on a Thursday or Friday (I think I asked if they cover weekends and was told they would) - I didn't take my car in on Thurs or Fri. I took my car to the shop on a Monday, thank you very much - they then claim they never received the supplement (to the estimate, sent by the shop earlier in the week). They don't have a lot of credibility regarding receiving the supplement since they also claimed they didn't receive the estimate I sent them. I still don't know if they're going to cover the rental car.

I was told to call back but not right away because they wouldn't call me with the information even after they received the information from the shop - I still haven't spoken with the actual claims adjuster for my claim since prior to the estimate. He has not returned any of my calls. AND THEIR CLIENT HIT ME! I have had experiences where my car was hit before, and I've dealt with other insurance companies, but I've NEVER had such a bad experience.

2016 F250 went into some type of low power mode and got a service engine soon light. Ford said it was water contaminated fuel so it is not covered under warranty. $12,000.00 repair. Other major insurances pay for this under comprehensive. USAA stepped up to the plate and said they would only pay to have the system flushed. They called the entire event a mechanical failure, which they don't cover. This was not a mechanical failure (that term describes a failure due to poor manufacturing etc...). This was damage caused by contaminated fuel as stated by Ford. USAA has been fairly good about paying for minor issues, but twice I have had significant claims and have received nothing but pushback. It gets tiring having to go to arbitration and then to court to receive a just claim. Both cases were won by me. Luckily I subsequently got Ford to cover it under warranty. I do not recommend USAA to anyone.

My experiences with USAA has always been good until now. Recently in San Antonio, TX I was in a collision with an animal. Like I was supposed to, I submitted my claim with the description of what happened. When the insurance adjuster, Michael **, went to my home to quote the damages he immediately told me that the damages were not from an animal collision as if I had made of the story. Either way, he approved the repair estimate, I dropped my car off at the collision place, only to get a call 3 weeks later from the collision place stating that the insurance adjuster told them not to move forward with the repairs because "he" does not think the damages were from an animal collision.

My husband and I have been with USAA since 2008 and we have NEVER had to do a car insurance claim until now. It does not matter if I hit a house, a pole, a deer, etc. I pay insurance so I can have the coverage for the repairs. It angers me that I am being truthful about what happened on the day of my accident to be told that I am a "liar". This is the most frustrating situation I have had with USAA.

Had one of their customers hit me and the police report states he is at fault and when I call to try and get a check to get my vehicle fixed they claim they don't owe me anything because their customer put his turn signal on before he changed lanes and hit me in the side of my vehicle on a 4 line highway because he didn't look before he changed lanes. Biggest joke of an insurance company.

I had very minor damage to the hood and front left fender of my Honda Accord along with a shattered windshield. USAA recommended I take it to their reputable collision center and I did. That company deemed my vehicle a total loss citing the damages to exceed six thousand dollars. That price blew me away because if you replaced both items with new parts the price difference isn't close, so I took my vehicle to another reputable collision company and their estimate was two thousand, five hundred dollars which would not result in my vehicle being a total loss. When the company submitted their estimate to USAA, USAA rejected it and said their experts agree with the estimate of their partner company. I don't know what options I have. USAA has already told me there's nothing I can do but accept what they've told me and buy my car back from them.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
  • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
  • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
  • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
  • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
  • Best for Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance