USAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2016 F250 went into some type of low power mode and got a service engine soon light. Ford said it was water contaminated fuel so it is not covered under warranty. $12,000.00 repair. Other major insurances pay for this under comprehensive. USAA stepped up to the plate and said they would only pay to have the system flushed. They called the entire event a mechanical failure, which they don't cover. This was not a mechanical failure (that term describes a failure due to poor manufacturing etc...). This was damage caused by contaminated fuel as stated by Ford. USAA has been fairly good about paying for minor issues, but twice I have had significant claims and have received nothing but pushback. It gets tiring having to go to arbitration and then to court to receive a just claim. Both cases were won by me. Luckily I subsequently got Ford to cover it under warranty. I do not recommend USAA to anyone.

My experiences with USAA has always been good until now. Recently in San Antonio, TX I was in a collision with an animal. Like I was supposed to, I submitted my claim with the description of what happened. When the insurance adjuster, Michael **, went to my home to quote the damages he immediately told me that the damages were not from an animal collision as if I had made of the story. Either way, he approved the repair estimate, I dropped my car off at the collision place, only to get a call 3 weeks later from the collision place stating that the insurance adjuster told them not to move forward with the repairs because "he" does not think the damages were from an animal collision.

My husband and I have been with USAA since 2008 and we have NEVER had to do a car insurance claim until now. It does not matter if I hit a house, a pole, a deer, etc. I pay insurance so I can have the coverage for the repairs. It angers me that I am being truthful about what happened on the day of my accident to be told that I am a "liar". This is the most frustrating situation I have had with USAA.

Had one of their customers hit me and the police report states he is at fault and when I call to try and get a check to get my vehicle fixed they claim they don't owe me anything because their customer put his turn signal on before he changed lanes and hit me in the side of my vehicle on a 4 line highway because he didn't look before he changed lanes. Biggest joke of an insurance company.

I had very minor damage to the hood and front left fender of my Honda Accord along with a shattered windshield. USAA recommended I take it to their reputable collision center and I did. That company deemed my vehicle a total loss citing the damages to exceed six thousand dollars. That price blew me away because if you replaced both items with new parts the price difference isn't close, so I took my vehicle to another reputable collision company and their estimate was two thousand, five hundred dollars which would not result in my vehicle being a total loss. When the company submitted their estimate to USAA, USAA rejected it and said their experts agree with the estimate of their partner company. I don't know what options I have. USAA has already told me there's nothing I can do but accept what they've told me and buy my car back from them.

On Monday March 6, 2017, Art ** came out to inspect my vehicle for hail damage. After the evaluation, in the rain, might I add, he estimated the damages to be $505.44. I have a $500 deductible. I did not agree at all with the evaluation. Therefore, I immediately took my vehicle to H&H Collision, which by the way was an inconvenience to me and they surmised the vehicle to have at least $900 more worth of damage and sent the estimate to Art **. I called him shortly afterwards and he stated that he "was trying to wipe the rain off as best as he could". Tell me, what insurance adjuster does an evaluation in the rain??? Art ** and USAA Auto must have assumed that since we are ** that we would lie down and accept that they wanted us to fix our own vehicle.

One would think that USAA would hold a higher standard for its Veterans and not try to scheme and scam like the other insurance companies. We have multiple policies with this insurance company and have never been late on a payment. However, this is not enough for them! They do not want to pay for what is rightly the customer's just like all of the rest of the schemers. I am in the process of looking for another insurance company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I have been a USAA member for at least 20 years. I was recently notified that my premium would go up by at least $100.00 per year. When I called USAA for an explanation, I was told the increase was the cost of doing their business. They stated it was nothing that I had done to merit the increase. If they cannot run the company on a budget, I should not be charged for their incompetence, just like the government. They need to lay off or tighten their belts like the rest of us. I am currently looking for new insurance. They are an enemy of the military. They are a scam!

It was time for my premium to start its new 6 mos. cycle (Mar 2017 - Sep. 2017). Went to pay my current bill at the time (Feb. 2017 monthly payment) and found out that my account status was changed to PAY IN FULL for the next 6 mos. coverage due to a cancellation notice that I received. The cancellation notice was due to the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew in NC dated October 2016. Unfortunately, I live in Fayetteville where we were raged by the flood waters.

Now... the entire state of NC was in a state of emergency from Oct. 2016 - Jan. 31, 2017 because of the damage it had sustained and recovery process. In that time frame EVERYONE was pardoned from late fees and cancellations because of the state of emergency given by the governor. Somehow, USAA said I was late for payment and sent a cancellation notice to me in the middle of February??? Now... I'm not a genius, but, they're gonna send me a cancellation notice for the same month that we were physically in??? WOW!!! CRAAAZY!!! I guess my 18 years as a customer did not deserve any reconsideration of the fact. So... I go to pay my Feb. 2017 bill on the phone and ask about the pay in full status and cancellation. Well USAA did what USAA always does... "sir policy this policy that", blah, blah, blah. "We provide a service that we expect to get paid for."

So I mentioned, why couldn't I keep my rental for the 30 days/$50 a day $1500 max when my claim was in process. She explained to me, "As soon as your vehicle was deemed a total loss due to the flood, you then only have 7 days for the rental vehicle from that point due to another policy that have." So in total I only had my rental car 9 DAYS. So I explained, "So basically, I pay for full coverage on my vehicles (that's paid off), but I can't exercise my right to use those options because of ANOTHER POLICY???" She said, "Yes sir." I was ghost pepper hot!

So now... the USAA rep is giving me an ultimatum to Pay In Full for my next 6 mos. or refusing service to me. I said, "You're not gonna tell me what I NEED to do with my money... It's not wise to tell a former or active military member what they are GOING to do and take away their options, you must be out your damn mind." I told her, "I rather pay double the amount to someone else with better service, than to be cornered like a dog." So... that's exactly what I did. I dropped USAA before the new policy term and now I'm with Geico.

Reason for picking Geico, my mother has them, and I was able to see firsthand how quickly they responded to their customers after the flood. They were literally the first auto insurance on scene. Geico was sending reps from out of state to help flood victims here locally. Plus they let her keep her rental car 40 days no extra charge because she had lost her vehicle as well. So it gave her ample time to look for another vehicle. USAA on the other hand took 2 days to respond just to get the initial paperwork started. I guess that's what they call service.

I would definitely not be going back to USAA. Sad thing is, I use to vouch for USAA for the longest time irregardless of the stories you would hear... especially being in a military town, you would hear bad remarks about USAA, "ALL THE TIME"... not anymore. 18 years man... and they didn't give two cents about customer loyalty. LEAVE NOW before you invest too much in a company that doesn't care. You've been warned!

I was hit by someone insured by USAA at a 3 way stop in a parking lot. Luckily, was going very slow, she turned left and was in my lane, coming at me head on! It was surreal as I think she may have been looking down at her phone, I was able to swerve but of course the left front end of my car was badly damaged. She stayed in her car, panicking, while I stayed in mine and called law enforcement. Her car was clearly smack dab in my lane, liability was immediately given to her. The state trooper wrote the crash report and told me that it was her fault and to call her insurance company, USAA. I called them immediately the next morning and was told to email the crash report, which I did immediately and asked about a rental since I'm in sales I needed transportation. He said they'd need that to set up the rental. This was Friday morning at 9 am, didn't hear back of course.

Sunday late afternoon, I had to rent a car out of my pocket. Called Monday, no return call. Tuesday then I received an email that simply said the adjusters name and claim #. Called Wednesday, and finally another adjuster called me back, and said why didn't I report the claim to my insurance company? I told him I had, but they said, "It's not your fault they need to do the estimate," and additionally, the state trooper had told me to call her insurance company. His reply was that they both gave me bad information and that there was a problem as the insured only had 10000.00 in coverage and I had a BMW so it wouldn't cover the claim! I said, "You haven't looked at the car yet! It's at BMW in Sarasota. Go look at it." Quite honestly, I'm not a mechanic, but I would estimate the damage at maybe 6000.00. He wouldn't pay for the rental, then he said they might be able to.

Then he put me on hold and said he called Sarasota BMW and they didn't have my car, and I might want to call law enforcement. Next day I went to the dealer, my car was clearly right there, it's a smaller dealership so not difficult to find. Next day I called USAA asked for a supervisor and they said they would take care of it. He said liability wasn't confirmed until March 1, and they wouldn't pay for the first 3 days I had the car. I'm in sales and I spent way too much of my precious time on phone calls with these jackoffs that I just said, "Fine." He asked me to call BMW in Sarasota and let them know to leave the keys in the car, it was getting towed to the Tampa BMW dealer.

Meanwhile, I'm getting a call on the other line from Enterprise. I didn't answer as I was waiting for this clown to wrap up our call. Enterprise was blowing up my phone so as soon as I hung up with jackoff USAA adjuster, my phone was ringing with Enterprise and I was able to answer. The gentleman told me he got USAA's call and that they said they wouldn't pay the first 3 days, and that it didn't sound right. I said, "Whatever, I'm sick of dealing with them, I'll pay the first 3."

The next morning, I get a message from another jackoff, female this time, saying in a voicemail that's my car is not in Sarasota and they couldn't find it! I have no idea what's going on, as it's Friday evening, just got home and everything is closed. I did have a message from my insurance company saying they USAA called them and said their insured doesn't have enough coverage and that they would take over the claim. ** rip off artists should be against the law. I'm calling the state insurance commissioner to report this. Jerks!

A USAA member demolished my car with a rear impact on 2/25. First they did not accept liability (while I was stopped), then low balled the offer for my car, have yet to address the total annihilation of my daughter's computer (needed for school), or our medical expenses/claims. It's a miracle we survived car.

I had USAA for my insurance years ago. I called one day after I was involved in an auto accident, but it didn't involve my truck, I was only a passenger. I just wanted to find out what it was I would have to do in that situation. I got the information that I needed and then the next month saw a rate increase that was because I filed a claim which had never happened. I went back to USAA years later because of the deal I got on bundling services, but recently just called Allstate and they beat their rates.

It's sad to see this happening to a company that was designed to help veterans and service members. Here's something some people don't know, but they do a huge annual bonus. This year it was 16% of their annual salary. The compound in San Antonio is like a military base. There are tons of companies out there today that provide the exact same services as USAA without needing a gym, Drs. on staff, a pharmacy, and many more items that are truly unnecessary. You want to know why they continue hiking their rates, just take a look at that 280 acre compound they have in San Antonio. If they would stop wasting money, then we could have cheaper rates and decent service.

Having read nothing but negative reviews here, I wanted to share my experience. We were rear ended while stationary at a traffic light, the other party was clearly at fault. USAA called within an hour and arranged a rental car for us, and called us to tell us we could take the car to the repair shop, the next day, just had to call them to confirm (USAA had already tentatively booked us in). Although we had to pay the repairs direct to the repair shop, as soon as USAA had the estimates, they wired the money direct to our bank account, including our deductible which was not our responsibility.

So, 2 years ago, I was rear-ended by a city school bus. The damage was minimal, the lucky driver was not cited "following too closely" as anyone else would be (she is on same insurance company policy as cops, firemen, city workers, etc...). Well, I tell USAA about this. The girl tells me I can go to the shop I used before. I go to the shop, the guy writes up estimate. I note that he has quoted after-market parts. I tell him I want OEM and he tells me that USAA says to use Chinese made crap. Nope. Not going that way.

I call Shaniqua or whatever at local Va. Beach branch location (actually a headquarters location) and she tells me that the limits of my policy blah, blah, blah. I tell her that I don't have a limit as the accident was NOT my fault. I have to argue with her, finally a supervisor looks up the accident and notices that the difference in price is something like $75.00 dollars ($79.00?? cannot remember). Long story short, she approves this... gee, thanks! So it gets much better. I talk to someone in San Antonio and she basically insists that I go see a Dr. I tell her really, no problem. She still insists. Okay. I go.

Here's where it gets good. In Virginia, we have this little part of insurance that basically covers your medical up to "x" amount. I had a minimum coverage of $2,000.00 dollars, and since Va. is a "stackable state" I actually had $4,000.00 coverage (2 vehicles). It's called Med-Pay. So, I hire an attorney for the accident. I go to various Dr.'s (had a ringing in ear after accident that would not go away) and even an MRI. So, my medical bills get submitted, Auto Injury Solutions, which I call affectionately Auto Injury Confusion, did what another on here said; Made frequent and repeated requests for information to which the denied absolutely EVERYTHING. They did not approve 1 invoice regardless of information procured.

I did get money after many, many, many phone calls to USAA and basically using the vilest language imaginable. I wrote vile emails, slammed them on social media and even created a web page that specifically pointed out the horrible customer service. I was criminalized by Auto Injury Confusion AND USAA by their continued denials of payment (less than $4,000.00). I have been with USAA over 35 years. The company has changed a lot over the years in their approach to handling claims in certain ways. It all changed when they opened the flood gates and allowed so many others in that were not officers.

The utilization of Med Pay is simply a way to pass the buck and deny payments. They have some of the least expensive auto insurance in the country, the homeowners is costly on the other hand. I truly wish USAA would get back on the side of the ones that patronize them and quit treating its members like something you'd step in and wipe off on a curb. I know that other insurance companies play the same stupid games so that is why I stay. But there are limits to everything.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I was not getting anywhere with USAA trying to devalue my car their covered totaled out. They were refusing to acknowledge the $4K in upgrades I had recently put into the car. They offered $84.00! Thanks to my writing you and the BBB I received a call from their complaints dept. and they added another $700.00 to my loss. Still a big win for them because they shipped my car to Texas to resell but at least I got a more reasonable value for my losses. Thank you for being there!

Val of Palm Springs, CA on

Original Review

I was plowed into by a USAA insured who was not paying attention. It was so clear who was at fault they assumed immediate responsibility. Then the hassles began 3 weeks of stalling and demanding receipts for $5,000.00 worth of recent work I did on the car preparing it for a cross country work. Timing chain and other internal engine work not needed but for peace of mind. Brand new tires all around and a $150.00 battery that was one week old. They were more interested in my signed off title so they could resell it.

Finally after three weeks, they let me know in consideration of all my recently invested money that they would add $48.00 to my total loss! This is the most procrastinating rip off business I have ever encountered. They wear you down and make you jump through hoops for weeks then lower the boom on you. This organization should be ashamed to use USAA in their name as THAT is not the USAA I know! They are shameless and I would never do business with them and highly denounce them...

I've had USAA insurance since I was 16. That was a few decades ago. My whole family has been with USAA forever. As part of my USAA auto insurance, I paid extra for years and years for the "emergency roadside assistance." The first & only time I ever used it was last year, when my car went into a ditch on a muddy road. I called USAA. They transferred me to "Agero", which is the company to which USAA outsources its roadside assistance. This was between 1-2 pm on a Saturday. I was four miles from the nearest town, which has two or three service stations with tow trucks etc. There are many other towns in the area with lots of tow truck providers.

BUT - my USAA-provided "Agero" roadside assistance didn't show up until after - get this - 9 PM that evening. I had to go sit in a nearby house for hours while waiting, since it was freezing outside. I didn't know the people, but luckily they were fine. And they gave me some food & water, which was necessary with the 8+ hour wait. I am a female and was alone, so this was not a good situation and could have ended very badly.

I called USAA to complain a few times during the wait, and they just kept blaming this "Agero" company they outsource the work to. When the towing guy showed up, he told me he was based in SE Portland - at least 30 miles away. He told me they were 'busy' when the call came in, and then there was "traffic" on the way. Well, duh. He had to go through an entire city and then numerous towns in order to get to me from that far away. All he had to do was hook my car up & pull it out of the ditch. 10 minutes.

I absolutely recommend AGAINST using USAA for this type of coverage, as it turned out to be terrible, included an inexcusable wait, and made my situation dangerous. You don't want you or a family member alone in their car in a semi-rural area for hours, and needing to go into the house of strangers while they wait for help. Plus - waiting HOURS for a tow truck from 30 miles away when there are a zillion towing services in the area? They are not set up to assist at all. Completely irresponsible. USAA's response? Nada. They didn't care. They blamed their outsourced company. I was a totally loyal USAA customer my entire life, and now I hate them. Avoid.

I was told I could use old claim for up to a year. Couldn't find it online today so created another one. Car has damage in the exact same spot- front right bumper but they say I have to pay two deductibles - when it's one place on vehicle that will be repaired! I have been a customer since 1990 with no car claims except a windshield and they do not care. This is the worst experience I have ever had with them and they do not want to consider anything but what they say. I am so fed up with their customer service and their blatant attempt to gouge me!

I have been with USAA for over 30 years. Their service has consistently declined over the years and they have evolved into an "us vs them" organization. The branch locations are entirely self-serving, only providing resources for their staff to sell members products USAA wants to push. Their online service provides no way to contact them other than via telephone, something that will be entirely consuming of customers time via wait times and getting the call center personnel to understand your concerns (I estimate on average 8-10 minutes just to get to the point of addressing the issue a customer calls about).

There is no oversight of mailers, my post office box is filled up with nonsense, and I have even received contradictory statements/declarations pages... which in turn requires me to pick up the phone and engage in one of those long frustrating conversations to resolve the confusion they created on their end. The organization reflects the prior government bureaucrats who are in charge; they were cultured in a level of inefficiency that did not have a measure of effectiveness that punished those who wasted time and resources...

I had USAA for a long time. I ran into some financial difficulties and was late paying my bill 2 or 3 times one policy period. At renewal, the company did not offer me a monthly payment option, offering pay in full only. I didn't notice PIF was the only payment option and sent in half of the annual premium and figured I'd pay the rest next month. I then got a cancellation notice from USAA. I called them and they would not reinstate my policy even with a lapse. I offered to pay the remaining premium and they would not take the payment. They told me I was canceled for 7 years and after that time period I could reapply for insurance with them. I had equity in my policy having paid 1/2 the annual premium at inception. I had a clean driving record and no at-fault accidents for over 10 years. I do not believe this is the way a company should treat its customers.

My daughter was involved in an accident with a driver insured by USSA and the other driver was cited for being at fault. When I called USSA I was informed that max they would pay was $25,000 and since a 3rd vehicle involved in the accident was a total loss, they would not be able to pay all costs associated with the accident and that it would take several months before they could let me know if there would be any money left to pay the $1,700 damage to my daughter's vehicle. They fully acknowledged that their insured party was at fault but told me to call my own insurance company since they would not likely have enough funds in the coverage to cover cost of repairs. Completely unprofessional with no consideration for damage done by one of their insured.

Horrible! Daughter's car wrecked 1/1/17 (GEICO) by other driver (USAA). 1 month later USAA finally contacts us after our several attempt. Sends adjuster to look at car. Takes 2 pictures and 4 minutes. 18 days later... Car (2007) is totaled. 32,000 miles, new tires, new transmission offers us $1,200 lady said that's life! Told her to find me 1 just like it, said sorry. Got lawyer! 4 months later got $6700 + a rental for 30 days + court cost and still no apology. USAA sucks. Claims adjuster said she got her position with 1 hr training and was told to "nit pick" every detail of car no matter what it was. (actually met her in a bar after she quit)

I was struck by a car while walking two years ago. USAA is my insurer and will reimburse medical payments that I paid out of pocket up to my policy limits within two years of my accident. The problem is they use another company, Auto Injury Solutions, that processes everything by computer and send repetitious requests to medical providers asking for the same medical information over and over again. Today I received a call from one of my providers telling me USAA is sending the requests for information they have now sent several times. They wanted to let me know in case USAA was claiming not to have the information. My next call was to my attorney's assistant who has been dealing with USAA on my behalf to ask for her assistance. That is when I learned about USAA's less than satisfactory performance in processing Medical payments for their insured. She said they were the worst company she had to work with.

Making multiple requests for records that have already been sent puts an enormous burden on a provider's staff and causes providers to be less inclined to accept accident victims as patients. USAA's service in general has declined over the last 10 years. I have auto, homeowners, and life insurance with them. My sense is their training program is sorely lacking and the quality of their personnel has declined. There was a time when I could call USAA and get the answer to my question in a single call. Not so anymore. I have been a member for over 40 years so it is not easy to make a decision to change insurance companies, but I believe the time has come. Think twice and check around before signing up with USAA.

I have been with USAA for nearly a decade and today was the last straw. I have purchased auto insurance with them for this amount of time and have been relatively pleased up until this past year. I called in today to figure out how to manually pay my bill versus have them auto-draft my account (which is what I have been doing for years). They informed me that there would be a $24. xx fee for me to make payments myself versus electing to use the auto-pay system. They then informed me that this is done to lower the "member's" premiums, even though my policy has went up the last 3 renewals even though I have not had any points added to my record???

They state they want access to your bank account to make these auto payments but if you read the terms of use, they give a generous share of access to USAA on your bank account which is unacceptable. They are able to hold funds and if funds are overdrawn then they will not immediately be replaced into your bank. After years of positive service, USAA has fell through to global business pressures and have turned into a for-profit-only company while lying through their teeth about how important the customer is. Within the week, I will no longer be a member at USAA and will pull all my accounts out.

We started doing business with USAA when I decided to purchase a home. We have a rental property, our home and two autos insured with USAA. To begin, they gave me a good price. We had previously been doing business with GEICO that hiked our rates up so high we could no longer afford to pay them. USAA knew upfront I had been involved in an accident. FIVE months into doing business with USAA, they hiked our premiums up TWO times. They now want us to pay around $380.00 every month for two autos that are not fancy in any way. To add insult to injury, they added another $35.00 onto our premium for "Accident Forgiveness".

Numerous attempts to communicate with USAA via phone have failed by way of them placing me on hold and then hanging up or transferred me a total of four times and each person I spoke with kept me on the phone for at least 20 minutes each. NIGHTMARE! The end result is that the company is dysfunctional, arrogant and apathetic. Sadly, this review is written with complete honestly.

My car was stolen while on vacation. USAA decided to investigate the theft of my car, they investigated for 3 weeks. When the investigation was over and I was cleared of the investigation they gave me the runaround about paying. My claim. They denied it after I was cleared and left to wait in Utah before I went back home to Florida. They didn't care about me or my car. This happen Jan 1 and it is Feb 4 and my car is sitting in the snow in Utah. My adjuster Jeff ** does return phone calls. You can only him by email. My Mercedes E 500 is under snow because they denied me. I'm getting a consumer lawyer who said he would definitely love to take my case after all the complaints he read on USAA. I'm a marine vet. And they are treating me like a criminal. If a lawyer reads this please contact me.

Ex-military, honorable discharge, and they won't insure me!?!? I was in the Navy for 6 years, got an honorable discharge, and in fact I used to have USAA insurance but they dropped me a year after I got out. They were AWESOME back then (25 years ago!) so I tried signing back up with them just for car insurance. I have never had an at-fault claim in my life and have a clean driving record. I also have a criminal conviction (that I really didn't deserve) and their Underwriting Dept. used that fact alone to deny signing me up as a new customer. I guess one bad decision outweighs 6 years of honorable military service.

After reading these glowing reviews I'm glad I'm not their customer. It seems their customer service has sadly gone down the toilet over the past 25 years. I have Ameriprise through Costco and they give me by far the best rates so I'm happy to have them, and they don't give a crap about my conviction that has nothing to do with driving anyway, nor did they even ask about criminal history. What does one have to do with the other? Avoid these **!

Thank God I don't have USAA but my dad does. Someone wrecked and totaled his truck a while back, and USAA was trying to put the truck off as a old beater work truck and lowballing the amount it was worth. This truck wasn't but 5 years old, near perfect shape, and always washed and waxed, no dents or problems. So after that headache, a few weeks ago I was driving my dad to hospital in car. At red light some lady rear-ended me. We swapped info and went on our way, I contacted insurance and they said the woman that hit me denied being in a accident, and haven't heard from USAA since then. It's been over a week and USAA seems like they don't care about their customers at all. I'm glad I have GEICO.

I had the worst experience this month with a USAA claims adjuster, **. This USAA claims office is located in a residence in Black Forest, Colorado on 10505 Thomas Road. This residential USAA office is being shared by Nizhoni Health Center. The entire staff, mostly family members, treat disabled customers with rude arrogance and a total disrespect of handicap persons requirements. On several occasions they asked people to leave. Horrible experience for anyone that enters this facility. No handicap restrooms or parking.

During my auto claim period I've experienced rude and disrespectful service on multiple accounts. I've had multiple situations where the employee would deny me my right to speak with a manager. Upon doing so I was hung up on, it took two weeks to get answers in regards to the supplement for my repairs. The associates seem to be unknowledgeable and constantly gave me the runaround. No one seems to be on the same page and I was told by Nathan **, that he can assure me USAA have done a good job at servicing me. I replied by saying "Speak for yourself unless you are also speaking for Peet **, one of the associates that refuse to transfer to a manager before hanging up on me."

I also had to pay out of pocket for a rental that ran me over $900 bucks. I've been lied to several time and in the 30 days that my claim was open I've only once spoke with my actual adjuster. The communication is pathetic and the customer service is worse. I thought USAA was the best but I guess I was wrong. I have many complaints. This is just one of them. My vehicle was wrecked in another state and I'm left with an out of pocket expense to ship it over two thousand miles.

My son was driving our truck when he was hit in the rear by a person covered by USAA. At first they tell you to go to your shop and get a quote then the problems start. They want you to have it done at one of their shops. They called my shop which was willing to work with them. They want you to use parts that are used which I did not have a problem as long as there was nothing wrong with them. So my vehicle is older and there are 5 different types of bumpers for my vehicle. When you order used parts you do not always get the right one, so finally they says to order the new part but now they will not pay for my rental car because it is taking too long to get the part in.

My body shop ordered 3 different bumpers for my truck. All were wrong because the junk yards do not keep all the specifics for the parts they stock. So now I need to pay for my own loaner car until the correct part comes in because they feel it is the body shop's fault that they do not have the correct parts, and it is my fault that I left it there when the part was wrong to begin with even though my truck need body work too and they had to straighten out my hitch because it was bent. It has been a nightmare. They do not call you back, they do not send you anything when asked.

I was involved in a accident on 1/27/17. I am terrified. Person ran the light and hit me. Who then tried to flee the scene. I call USAA inform them the following day as I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I have full coverage. My friend over ems talking about the lady who hit me and how her car insurance was fake... My 2007 F150 SuperCrew Cab 4 doors excellent condition, clean, not a scratch, 85000 miles that started and moved. After they tell me give the tow yard all my keys and that it would probably be totaled. "Hello. Oh but we're taking it our inspection center who happens to be a auction house..." I am worried, injured, concerned they will say "let's total it, auction it and get what we can and not pay for his loan." Anyone please. Have this happened to you? Please email me. I have been hurt badly. In so much pain not including my beautiful truck. By the way you treat your vets this way? Using tricks.

Customer services was excellent; identification of repair providers was very efficient; policy changes when moving to a different location was excellent. Outstanding customer services and responsiveness. Outstanding company for both home/auto insurance as well as providing financial services.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
  • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
  • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
  • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
  • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
  • Best for Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance