Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

In over 45 years with USAA, I've had 3- 4 fender benders, bought a car through them, transferred car insurance on a Saturday on a car that I paid cash for, obtained a mortgage from them, obtained flood insurance in the low country, and rely on a visa from them the most because they do not penalize you if you miss a month, without ANY problems. Plus they have always been extremely nice. While I've been a member, I have lived in SC, AL, NY, NJ, VA, NC, and DC with no issues. They have earned my trust, unlike so many corporations that suffer from American 'greed' not ethics. I don't usually write reviews, but after reading all of those negative reviews I felt compelled to rebut them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have had USAA for 10 years and never had any problems. Customer service is great and ready to help. I have my auto insurance and homeowner's insurance with them. I know people think that only immediately family like spouse and children can be added, but I had my sister on my insurance when we were living together. When I needed to make a claim, it was so quick and easy that I don't even remember dealing with it at all. I would bank with USAA if there were local opportunities. They were the first place I checked when I wanted a home loan too. Unfortunately, my credit or something wasn't great enough to be qualified and we had to go elsewhere. But I absolutely love USAA.

I am dealing with an issue from about 5 years ago and I was able to log into the USAA website and chat with a member who almost instantly was able to get the old policy documents I needed for proof. I saw that it says USAA is for active and retired military, but that is not the full extent. Veterans are also welcome, you don't need to put in the full 20 years or be active to qualify so long as you have your DD214 (you may need to be honorably discharged though, not sure).

Whenever I contact them, they always inquire about changes in the family or status. They strive to be up-to-date. They add the children on the account, which is great for their own USAA coverage. USAA isn't just an insurance company, they care about your family and needs. I am so happy to have USAA, I checked around for other insurance several years ago when I added my sister on and found that insurance rates were much higher. I would recommend USAA to all active military, retired, veterans, and dependents.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for three years now and have made two claims. One was for an accident that I had with another vehicle. She was making a left going north and I, on the other side of the road, was making a left going south and we met in the middle. She had GEICO insurance. This was my first accident that caused $2000+ in damages. I received letters and phone calls from her insurance company that stated I was at fault and I would be responsible for her damage and injuries.

I contacted USAA and expressed my concern for this since my insurance company and the state accident investigator told me they thought she was at fault, though no citation was issued to either party. USAA assured me that this is normal and I should just let the insurance companies hash it out, which they did. While my vehicle was at the dealer getting accident repairs a customer from their parts department backed into my vehicle and did extensive damage to the undamaged side of my vehicle. All told, my vehicle was out of commission for two months, just two weeks after I purchased it. It spent more time on the dealer body shop floor than it had in my driveway. USAA was on top of all of this and they kept tabs on the progress of my repairs and kept me informed. Now that's one heck of an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My wife got hit by a vehicle which ended up totaling her Honda Ridgeline. From the initial calls, to getting the rental, to getting a fair reimbursement from USAA, the whole process went extremely smoothly. We didn't have to speak to agents many times over the phone, since the website gives a clear overview of where things stand in the claims process. That being said, the times we did have to speak to a representative, I got clear answers and friendly treatment each time. I was expecting a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised. I got the honest feeling that each person wanted to help us get our situation resolved for us and cared about the outcome. This all coming after a significantly lower premium after switching from Liberty Mutual, who we had been a customer for over 10 years.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1991. I have had 3 auto claims in that time. Once some hit the side of my car while illegally passing, once an uninsured driver hit my parked car in a bank parking lot and lastly for hail damage. All three times the claim process was simple and smooth. I was concerned when they paid out the uninsured driver claim for repair before receiving any payment from him as I didn’t want my rates to go up but there was no deductible for me to pay and the rates stayed the same. I have also used the windshield repair claim twice without a problem or deductible.

I have had 6 teenagers on my policy and they have all been accident free (thankfully!) and while teenager rates are painful, they have always been competitive with other companies. Once they head to college and are 19 (due to Nebraska age of majority and my umbrella policy) they go to their own policy as it is cheaper for them when only insuring one vehicle parked at college instead of being covered on the 5-6 vehicles parked at the house. On another note I have homeowners with them as well, and they paid for repair of storm damage that was almost 20K without problem, allowed us to do some of the work ourselves which basically paid for the deductible. The check was written to the mortgage company who just had to do a brief inspection before releasing the funds to the contractor who did the majority of repairs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Everyone might have a different experience depending on whom they will get on the phone. I am sharing my personal experience. I had to make four calls to claims department to resolve my problem. I explained my situation to four different reps, and they advised me to take certain steps which did not lead to resolving my problem, since the steps were wrong. I waited and waited, and nothing has happened. Then I made a fifth call to find out that all I have been doing was wrong. I decided not to bore anyone with the details of my car accident.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

After 10 years of being a loyal customer, 2020 will be the year I find a new bank. I recently experienced an accident with my credit card which resulted in a substantial fee. Not fully understanding the issue, I called customer support to review options - especially how to prevent similar occurrences from happening moving forward. While doing so, I was told that as a courtesy, USAA would waive the fee. I was further told that I needed to await the fee to post and to call back to then resolve the matter. Upon posting, I called a few days later and a different representative had an entirely different story and was firm that the fee would not be waived. I rebutted their hostile response with my reasoning based on that I was explicitly told conflicting information. I was then met with suspicion, as if I were trying to game some sort of system.

I was very put off by this and challenged this associate to initiate a formal complaint which involved pulling the last call to verify that I was given "bad information." I was told this case would be elevated and I would be reached out to directly by some artificially important sounding executive resolution team. Four entire business days later - not a peep. I called again to firmly ask for the status of the situation, and was given a totally bureaucratic runaround that the case was was being reviewed by someone else, and this person will send an email to that person, and they will personally ask their manager to contact their manager to request a status update - blah blah blah. I was literally told that my case has gone through multiple levels of escalation yet not a single person I spoke with has shown any interest in resolving the issue or could assure what to expect next.

Again, this is a simple case of being told a fee would be waived and has instead turned into an outrageous carnival game that USAA is seemingly incapable of stopping. I could only relate my experience to the worst-of-the worse past dealings with local state DMV offices. The antiquated, archaic, and rife with red-tape practices and complete absence of accountability has significantly diminished my impression of USAA, and I am no longer willing to be a part of their circus. I've always been an advocate for USAA and I'm deeply troubled that this elementary issue has seemingly stumped the best of their best as associate after associate has been crumbled to a simple customer service issue. I can't trust an organization that folds this quickly with anything of importance.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I've been a USAA member for approx. 30 years. I have always paid my bills on time. My ex-wife filed bankruptcy and I was a NON-filer. USAA bankruptcy refuses to provide ANY details of a joint auto loan except to my ex-wife's bankruptcy attorney. The vehicle was awarded to her in divorce. I am the person who ended up with USAA having derogatory credit through nothing I could affect. I am beyond frustrated and believe this is beyond ridiculous as they will not annotate this fact on my credit report. I am done with this company. I am a retired military officer and 100% disabled veteran and am disgusted by the treatment received after having many loans through the years with this company. I tried to resolve the issue and can't even get amounts owed or anything else with the loan due to my ex-wife's bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I have been a USAA member since shortly after my active duty days from 1992 to 2000 and planned to be a member for life. I have always received wonderful service from USAA throughout the years. This is the main reason why I always chose to stay with USAA when I have been continual reminded that USAA products are not the cheapest. It was always the great service that swayed me from ever leaving. Therefore, I have been utterly dumbfounded recently during the process of a simple roadside assistance claim. USAA's third party contractor damaged my vehicle when changing a tire. I had the damage repaired and now USAA refuses to refund me the cost of the damage. Seems as if USAA's customer service has been going downhill as of late and I am wondering if it comes from the top since they have recently changed CEOs. Sad that they will lose faithful customers over $400 plus dollars.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

On 12-20-19, I was in an accident where a 16 year old failed to yield and turned left in front of me. We crashed. I had dashcam video showing I had a green light and right-of-way which I provided to USAA along with photos of my damage the same day I called them. It was a no-brainer. Their adjuster never called me back or e-mailed me after I left numerous messages.

After 2 weeks - yes 2 weeks - of nothing and ignoring my phone calls and e-mails, I had to finally go through my insurance State Farm as I needed to get my car repaired. I couldn't even set my car alarm due to my car damage. That same day I called State Farm, they had my rental car booked, my car repair place on notice so I could drop car off and their estimator booked to meet my car for an estimate.

USAA finally admitted their client was 100% at fault after 4 weeks of doing nothing. Shame on USAA for not doing anything!!! I hope they read this. They can look up my claim number of ** if they want to read all the documentation. I spoke to misc people on the phone at USAA who updated my file in the computer and even those employees were perplexed on why the adjuster wouldn't contact me. I asked two different times for a manager to call me. That never happened.

So now I have to wait for reimbursement for my deductible and my car rental fee as USAA has to send a check to State Farm. I should never have had to pay out any money in the first place as I tried to deal directly with USAA instead of my insurance but USAA just totally ignored me. Maybe someone from USAA will actually call me. My number is in that claim # file. Even though they weren't my insurer, there is no reason for laziness and ignoring my messages. I would not recommend them for anyone. J. ** in California.

Not sure about USAA Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor