Call toll free*
Based on 293 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: May 18, 2018

1408 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

Their insured caused a rear collision accident involving multiple vehicles, including mine, and was ticketed by police at the scene. Claims Dept. refuses to use genuine parts to restore my car to previous condition. I am expected to pay out of pocket for genuine parts that will be warrantied. Using after-market parts will diminish the value of my vehicle upon trade-in. USAA states that ALL insurance companies do this. Well, that does not make it right. My car was not damaged prior to being struck by their insured and it is reasonable to expect that it would be repaired to restore it to previous condition with genuine parts - not after-market junk parts. The part damaged was original. Shame on USAA for not choosing to do the right thing. I guess saving a few dollars on every claim adds up and they make decisions based on what is good for them. Greed. Plain and simple.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I opened a secured Amex with USAA 2+ years ago. I was told that the account would later convert into an unsecured card. NOT TRUE AT ALL! There was ZERO benefit in opening a secured card through USAA. Now I am stuck with this secured card and lots of my money tied up in it as a CD. I was 100% lied to in order to close a sale and get me roped in. USAA SCREWS VETS.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

USAA customer service isn't... it is indifferent, inept, unskilled, innocently or intentionally. I've searched the web and read other reviews of USAA beginning with the BBB site. Go to BBB and read for yourselves; amazingly uniform complaints. BBB Face page shows [25] Positive Reviews [4] Neutral Reviews, [300] Negative Reviews, [329] Total Customer Reviews; [1,460] Total Customer Complaints. Frankly, my voice will be merely one from the chorus - USAA touts service but it's all talk, [TV ads] & no action. I'd summarize their service or lack thereof as "institutional indifference" combined with a lack of familiarity with the truth mixed together with incompetence, untrue, deceptive statements and practices seemingly designed to mislead or delay either intentionally or innocently.

Like the 10 or so other reviews on the first 3 pages of the BBB site, I'm canceling my insurance and finding a more ethical and competent insurer. Are there any? While other insurance companies may stab you in the back, USAA stabs you in the front while saying how wonderful their service is…: better the devil you know (than the devil you don’t) (saying) it is better to deal with somebody/something bad, difficult, etc. [other insurance companies] that is familiar [or expected] than to perhaps have to deal with somebody/something worse [USAA] I have no claim issues. I'm not a disgruntled insured. I'm a simple customer with a simple problem that USAA has botched so badly. USAA's picture should be next to the Urban Dictionary definition of FUBAR.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Had USAA for over 10 years, two full coverage auto insurance. When I got a flat on highway and called for assistance they told me I don't have roadside assistance which made me extremely upset as the insurance is being renewed every 6 month and I was not contacted even once to ensure services like roadside assistance are in my policy. For ten years, I had no accident and when I ripped my front bumper off in the bar sticking out from a block on a parking lot, they marked it as at fault accident raising my insurance price to 500 dollars a month!!! Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I don’t even know where to begin on how bad USAA is on their claim handling practices. A little background. I am a retired Claim Manager from a National Major Insurance Company. I had a major staff of claim representatives I was responsible for overseeing. I always instructed our staff to treat people how they wanted to be treated. Not overpay but pay fairly and never to lie. After retiring our son who was a Green Beret and is now a Border Patrol agent and is also an appointed Sheriff suggested we were now eligible to join the USAA as a retired military service member. We switched to USAA.

April last year we are headed home from a play and four of us are rear ended by another USAA insured due to high traffic and blinding sunlight. No problem, the other driver admits fault immediately. When rear ended I was in the front passenger seat talking to my wife at an angle and the shock made my hands slam into the dashboard. At the time I had just had a case of vertigo resolved by a chiropractor who I was referred to by a neurologist MD who said he would cure the vertigo. He cured it. The next day we have the accident and I immediately go back into vertigo.

My family made me get back in the car as I was so dizzy. Also, at the time I was wearing a heart monitor which recorded me going back into vertigo. Brought up by the cardiologist office that had just done my heart ablation. She questioned if I had experienced vertigo what she saw on the monitor results. The hitting of the dashboard caused pain in both my thumbs. I still can’t touch my palm with my right thumb over a year after the accident with pain every day when I move the thumb. Why I have not the thumb taken care of yet after shots and all. Doctors unwilling to deal with auto accident cases. YEP! Charges go up astronomical if you are treated for an auto accident. We were in shock how much higher. Our back doctor would not treat me as an auto accident and it was too expensive for them to get involved. Medicare gets involved on any payments and we said we did not want them to have to pay when not our fault.

USAA contacted all passengers involved but me. They have not talked to me ever, in over one year, and I had the worse injuries. Lower left back, vertigo, and inability to close my right thumb. The auto claim adjuster lied saying a police report had been filed and that our injuries were not significant. He later admitted that he had no defense to the lie. We filed a delayed police report as no police were involved in investigating the accident. They showed up after information was exchanged and told us to leave as the traffic was so bad.

They did admit liability and took care of my wife and her car. The primary adjuster; after submitting our bills took over two months to say that the USAA driver only had 15k coverage. He knew I had 30k plus medical bills two months prior. They refused to pay the 100 dollars out of pocket I paid for an Xray of my right thumb. They made my wife try and find out billing codes. They would not do their job on calling and finding out billing codes They would not give my wife the billing codes. Frustrated, we settled that portion of the claim. Now he says you need to file an underinsured motorist claim. Still no one talks to me. Wife is talking to them on what we need to do.

We submit all medical bills and reports. I had surgery on my left thumb which was in pain due to bone on bone in the thumb. Agree not their fault, That cost 31k and it was aggravated enough that I required surgery to stop the pain. That is the amount I will look at if I have to have surgery on the right thumb. So, we send in everything and certified mail to know they received everything. Two months later I have my wife call to find out why no response with a settlement offer. They copied everything and did not copy my signature on the reverse side of the medical authorization. Yet, they sent a letter saying they were reviewing all to make an offer. How when they never have asked me my status to evaluate my claim? No request to send another copy of the signature. So yesterday, after calling, we mail the copy they say they are lacking. They just did not copy the back side of the form when copying the records into their system.

Now how long before they respond. I am not optimistic they will be fair when they have never talked to me. I fully expect a fight for any settlement over the way they have handled everything. We cancelled out coverage and moved back to Farmers. USAA has created more stress in a bad situation with poor treatment of a prior service member. I will only give them credit for one thing now and that is, their trip cancellation travel insurance is a low rate. No experience on their claim handling experience on the travel policies. We await to see if we are going to have to sue them before this is all over. I told my wife, I would have fired claim reps that handled claims like they have handled ours. They have no clue as to the back and thumb pain I go through every night as they never have talked to me.

I had already booked a fishing trip to Wyoming and New Zeland before the accident. I was in total pain trying to flyfish catching big fish in Wyoming. A orthopedic surgeon on the fishing trip saw what I went through. Couldn't even tie my boots without help. How will they be able to make a fair offer when they have never talked to me or don't know about what I have been going through. My wife has been having to drive me and suffered on what I have not been able to do as a result of the accident. I would never insure with them again. Son still with them, but he has not had a claim yet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 11, 2018

I ask you - - - how can a Thule Complete Crossroads Railing Rack be considered neither personal property, nor part of the vehicle? One would think it has to be one or the other. Well apparently it can be declared neither – nonexistent – if USAA says so. USAA used to be a good company to deal with. That has changed in the last several years and I have seen an increasing number of complaints from others. Now I am the one having to complain. On August 31, 2017 my 2005 Honda Pilot was stolen with nearly $8,000 worth of camping and kayaking gear inside. There was a rack with accessories on top for carrying my kayaks. I also had a hitch for towing and carried in the car the ball mounts with balls, etc.

A vehicle claim was made for the Honda Pilot and a property claim for the items inside. Rather bizarrely the people handling the property claim allowed the roof rack accessories but said the Thule Complete Crossroads Railing Rack was part of the vehicle and therefore they would not include that. Then the people handling the vehicle claim said it was not part of the vehicle because it was a personal preference item. Property Claims says it was part of the vehicle and Vehicle Claims says it was not part of the vehicle. How can that be???

They are just trying to find any little thing they can deny. New, the Thule Complete Crossroads Railing Rack is $349.95 and the depreciated value is even less. I can't believe they are haggling over this little amount. They are doing the same thing with the interchangeable hitch ball system, magnetic trailer alignment kit, hitch ball mount, and receiver lock (a combined total of $95.93 for new items).

Original review: May 10, 2018

The service is horrible. I still haven't received my secured credit card and my checking account debit cards. I called customer service and they said they just mailed the secured yesterday. This is 10 days after they already pull the $250 secured deposit out of my Chase Bank checking account. They are very slow at processing things. My Chase Bank debit card was in my hand from the mail 2 days after I opened it. They have very little ATMs in the area too.

Original review: May 3, 2018

It's very sad because I'm calling every day for a claim and no one can help me, I ready have 12 days calling asking for help. When someone answers I don't received help, I ask for supervisor and no one answers.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My Father in Law, passed away from Leukemia 10/14/17. Sad as that was, the nightmare of cancelling his car insurance has made rehashing this supremely sad event in our lives necessary. He had USAA Auto and Renters Insurance. We called, we faxed, we tried to email but they don't accept emails from anyone who isn't a policyholder. We sent copies of the death certificate. We sent copies of the bill of sale showing the vehicle no longer belonged to any family member. The death certificate was acceptable documentation to cancel the renters insurance but not the auto policy. Why???

Yet somehow USAA sees no problem with calling my husband 3-5 times a week during his work hours to try and sell him financial planning services. Like any of us want a relationship with a company that has done nothing but hassle us over car insurance for the dead. The moral of my story friends is, when you start a relationship with an insurance or financial company perhaps you may want to inquire on their cancellation policy in the event of your untimely demise. I know this experience has made me rethink who I do business with. Thanks for listening.

Original review: May 1, 2018

USAA Insurance is a con, they never want to take responsibility for anything. If you're involved in a accident with one of their insurer run because they will refuse to pay and take you on a rollercoaster. My fiance and I was riding down the highway and a tire hit us from the side and ran us off the road, so the adjuster was arguing with me on the phone and told me that's not their responsibility so they refuse to pay for our damages and injury claim. The adjuster had the audacity to tell me to file it on my insurance. That's what I pay insurance for. My advice to everyone don't mess with USAA because they are scamming people out of their money every month but don't want to take responsibility when it's their fault.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Longtime auto, investments and homeowner policy client. I am pulling everything from them!!! Totally dishonest on call in auto requote. Never told us by rewriting our policy would totally terminate our old one and then leave us without insurance after two hours on the phone with them. Didn't care one bit! We were on hold extensively four times with NO WARM TRANSFER! Be warned. Go elsewhere. Not what they used to be. After the person on the phone totally led us in the wrong direction then spoke with Supervisor who said she was sorry we were told what we were told and would listen to the "call" and use it as a "teaching moment". Who cares, you made the error and then would NOT do anything about it.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The CEO office is a joke! Nobody does their job and nobody cares. The customer service has hit rock bottom. It's been a nightmare and we are the victim! They are even being reimbursed by State Farm! I have complained up the chain and if there is someone in charge they have no concern for the members. USAA has gotten too big to care! They have lost us as a customer and I have warned our sons (active duty) not to trust them anymore. They are moving to Navy Fed Credit Union.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My car got sideswiped by a USAA member, resulting in a total loss. Fortunately nobody was hurt. USAA reimbursed the cost of the car and my medical bills, and arranged for a rental car. However, they did not communicate the end date of the rental car period, and refused to extend it when the deadline for returning the car lapsed. They falsely claimed I was notified during an earlier call, but the only documentation of this was their notes from the call and I do not remember being given a deadline of 3 days from the call. The agent could not specify any email or other written communication clarifying the end date of the rental period. I cannot understand why they do not have a policy of notifying people in writing of the end date of the rental car period. They refused to extend the rental period as a courtesy. This ruined an otherwise good experience and I will never be their customer.

Original review: April 27, 2018

If you have had an accident within 3 years of getting a policy with them you probably aren't going to have a good experience. I had a little fender bender (knocked the taillight off a car) so they charged me a "surcharge" of approx. $140 dollars added to my initial 6 month premium. I was fine with that. Best as I could tell when my 1st renewal date came up they added another surcharge. And the same thing with my third renewal.

So in 18 months my 6 month premium went from a little over $600/six months to almost $1100. I called customer service and the lady I spoke with confused and totally uninformed and didn't see a problem with my premium almost doubling in 18 months with no tickets or accidents and same two vehicles. I know other people with USAA and theirs they have small state increases but they don't have an accident on their record. I sure hope other vets are treated better. Everyone loves a vet in November. BTW I have a 17 year old small pickup truck (collision only) and 6 year old crossover SUV (4 cylinder).

Original review: April 25, 2018

I was rear ended by their insured driver. USAA told me they only pay for a rental when the car is being worked on. If you need any parts ordered and the car is sitting there not being worked on (THEN YOU THE VICTIM) is responsible. According to USAA my repair was only approved for a 2 day repair. After that I'm paying for the rental if it takes longer. My repair was more than 2 days. I don't know if any repair shop out there takes less then 2 days. If their recommend repair shop takes that long, then don't go there, it's getting done half assed. In a nutshell. USAA DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ANYBODY!!! I recommend that if someone who is insured through this company hits you, THEN GET ALL THE DRIVER'S INFO. Take there insured driver to court, cause USAA will screw you over.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had been in a rear bumper accident just on 4/22/2018, the guy that hit was insured through this company. Had injury claims and car damage claims, they never contacted me on anything. I had to contact them and demand them to get someone to look at my car damages. I spoke to several people on my claims in the span of 3 days; never a good sign when you have to speak to several person about your claims. It's really embarrassing. I had demanded to speak to a Supervisor and I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Jeff **, whom which I had to calm down several times because, he could not provide me a with suitable answers to any of my questions regarding the accident in which the guy they insure was at fault (I was hit from the back). I couldn't believe I was talking to a supervisor due to his demeanor and the way he spoke to me (like I'm a piece of Dodi).

Needless to say, as a military wife of 19 years, I was appalled at the way I was being treated. We also bank with them, so at this point, I'm clearly frightening that we even do business with this company. But, glad that we didn't insure with them. Nevertheless, this man, Mr. **, had the audacity to offer me $500.00 for all the damages that were made by the guy that HIT ME FROM BEHIND. I was shocked that this is what a person means to them. An injured one and a military spouse to top it off. I encourage you to think twice before going to ensure or do business with USAA. Now, I'm not working, no compensation and had to demand for someone to look at the car damage. I also lawyered up because, there is no way I am dealing with this by myself. The worst part is my husband is in Korea and it's just me and my children.

If you're a military family, you know how it is to be on your own and have to deal with all the difficulties of being a military wife. I'm completely shocked. It's crazy that they would treat people this way. He also stated that the party at fault did make a statement the HE DID HIT ME FROM THE BACK. Now, that fault party will realize that his insurance will go up because, his insurance didn't settle with me and I had to hire a lawyer. Can you imagine being in this situation. Both parties will pay the price but, the insurance remains as if nothing happened. That's what this company represents, themselves, not you or even if your military status. It's just all about the money. How embarrassing that they are using the military to do this. We are also going to look to a different bank. This is a BIG WAKE UP CALL.

Original review: April 23, 2018

USAA Auto Insurance is very easy to reach and service is friendly and efficient. They also give credit to you if you have a good driving record so I always save extra money with them. For home insurance policy they paid very quickly when I had a leak. They're very quick to respond to everything and I've been with them for 40 years.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have been with USAA for over 20 years and have also had other insurance companies for brief periods. USAA has been my only good experience with auto insurers. Prompt responses to phone calls and no hassles. Consistently excellent service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

USAA is a good reliable company. I have had positive experiences with them every time. I have compared it with others and found no better. They were helpful, knowledgeable and thorough. They were easy to contact without a long wait time.

Original review: April 14, 2018

My mom was in the military Army Air Force National Guard. Did drill over the weekends and started of Sea Cadets in St. Augustine and in Jacksonville. So I got insurance with USAA and was a member for over 12 years... 12 years... So when hurricane Irma came by and totaled my vehicle due to it being flooded... USAA did not give a **. Took over three months to complete the claim with terrible communication. Finally after all the ** and drama I asked for a requote on my 2017 Camry. FYI I was paying 120 monthly for insurance. They quoted me close to $300 for monthly payments more than doubled for a claim that wasn't even my fault. ** USAA. DO NOT TRUST THEM. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Five years ago I got married to my wife and moved to Ecuador. Recently I had to close our joint account because she does not have a SSN. When I call them they try to act like this isn't a requirement and they serve spouses of military from all around the world. USAA actually started blocking with a popup my account access in our joint account. The solution was to remove my wife from our joint account. This is despicable service, and to treat family members of mine this way. They can try to blame it on new regulations but USAA has left me with the strong taste of racism left in my mouth. I no longer believe USAA is the company it use to be. They do not care about me, or my family.

USAA parades around putting on the show that they are this great company that cares about their clients. What a joke! These are not good people and they DO NOT care about anything other than turning a profit from you. If you believe anything other you are a fool... or you need to wait a few more years. USAA use to proudly display their 4.9 average review right on the login screen at the top. Now... it is hidden deep within their site because not even USAA wants you to see their reviews. Can't wait to see USAA and all their corporate CEOs/CFOs burn down in flames with this kind of work ethic.

Original review: April 12, 2018

My son was involved in a hit and run outside his apartment in the city. USAA took the claim and told him it would be covered under uninsured motorist. The preferred partner auto repair sent the estimate and pictures. The adjuster, who never looked at the car changed it from uninsured motorist coverage to collision. This means the deductible is double and they won't cover a rental car.

I called USAA to find out why it was changed. I was told the auto shop told them it was a collision. The auto shop said they never spoke to anyone at USAA. They only sent over estimate and pictures. We asked to have the claim reopened. They have been rude and unresponsive. I am extremely disappointed with the way we have been treated by USAA. After reading several reviews I see a pattern of USAA not wanting to pay uninsured motorist claims. My guess would be because they have to pay out more. I am definitely taking my business elsewhere. I had Progressive prior and never had any problems.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We have had USAA for 33 years with great experience until now. The claim my son file for a hit-and-run has been a nightmare. They have been rude, given us misinformation, and not cared that we had concerns or complaints after 33 years. We have joined Geico who has great reviews from friends and family. Very disappointing USAA, you have changed.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am a veteran and have used USAA for car and rental insurance for many years. They have great rates. I will be purchasing a new home and called to get a quote for homeowners insurance. I was told that my account is locked due to a credit card delinquency that had been resolved over 2 years ago. I was told to call 800-284-9821 to get my account unlocked. I called that number at least 20 times on many different days and times but no one ever answers. I spent several hours total time on hold waiting for someone to answer. I also communicated thru their email message system, but the only answer they would give me was to keep calling that number. I find this response unacceptable and very frustrating.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Joined USAA when I joined the navy. Had them for over 14 years with zero claims. Many years later my family and I purchased a home. Five years into homeownership we needed to file a claim. USAA went from they would cover it to full denial. Took my business elsewhere. Shop around. Their rates are higher than most places. They were 60% on average above market.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Roof was damaged and USAA recommended a "Preferred Partner" to do the repairs. What I didn't know was a preferred partner has a contract with USAA, so when my roof continually leaked after the repair USAA took the preferred partners word that the leak was not their problem. I couldn't believe USAA just agreed and denied repairing the leak. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have been with USAA Auto Insurance for 50 years, with one switch in California because a friend told me Metropolitan was better. It was not, and a year later I was back with USAA. My entire family is with USAA, including one former mate. All the children, their husbands and soon to be my grandchildren. They are a company that is truly one of a kind. They don't use gimmicks to get their customers, and they pay dividends. They are fast with their claims and when I was hit by another car, they paid all the medical for me until the claim was settled. The best and most knowledgeable people work at USAA. Their people are the most competent and always friendly and have all the information at their fingertips.

Original review: April 4, 2018

The Claims Service Director was extremely rude and stated quote, "the only thing I can help you with is Nothing." She refuses to provide the name of her supervisor, of course. Their insurance company is at fault and refuses to authorize direct billing for my car rental. This company makes things worst for their insured and the victim by creating a hostile interaction. USAA you have added emotional trauma with your retaliatory, noncaring unprofessional service. I can't even sleep for trying to figure out how to get a rental car because you all fail to do your job in an ethical and timely manner.

Original review: March 28, 2018

When my windshield cracked I let them replace with Safelite, after they tried to repair. The replacement was nothing like the original, high road noise. USAA said it was their policy to use aftermarket parts whenever available. They also said if I thought this did not meet Safelite standards, they would arrange a meeting with Safelite. This is not the company that is an advocate for their customers, they are just another blood sucking insurance company.

Original review: March 26, 2018

USAA's good at coming out and getting things fixed right away, but every time you turn around they up their fees. You don't have to have anything going on, no changes, no car or home problems, and they still will up their rates. This last time, my insurance policy went up $94 for the next 6 months. Also, my car was hit by a hit and run, which was witness by a cop. USAA still wanted me to pay the deductible. Even when Geico was willing to pay for everything. I talked to a Supervisor for USAA. They said if they handle it, I will have to pay. So I handled it myself and Geico treated me wonderfully, and I didn't pay a cent. I'm tired of USAA and looking elsewhere.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky