USAA Auto Insurance
2.57/5
Based on 291 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

1494 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

They assume you should know what they don’t tell you. They never called to say they are paying the claim. They never tell you that you can get the repairs done even before their collision partner gets the check. If I didn’t call I would still not have gotten a call a month later. Yet their notes say that they told me. AWFUL customer service from them and their partners.

Original review: July 14, 2018

USAA sent an email telling me due to the high number of "at-fault" accidents (2 in 2 years) we were being dropped. I have been a member for 21 years. They claim they serve the military but in fact they are NO Different than any other company. One accident a fender bender, was over 2 years ago. I was told I could go to the DMV to have my record corrected. The accident over 2 years ago was on private property and NOTHING filed with the city or state. USAA sucks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 13, 2018

I got into an accident with a USAA claims member. It was eventually determined that the USAA member was at fault for the accident because there was video evidence. After accepting liability for my claim USAA associates offered me a settlement amount for my vehicle in which I accepted. There were some issues that arose with me getting my title for my car, after mailing them my title, the associates at USAA decided to tell me that they had made a mistake with my claim amount and that they were offering me less than the initial agreement. They then proceeded to claim that someone had spoken to me about the new amount and that I had agreed to sell my car to them for way less than I had even paid for the car.

By the time I had to rescind the agreement they had already sent my title off to be changed into their name. I spent over 4 months without a car and they offered me no rental. I am a single mom of 3 children. I rely on my transportation for stable employment, to go from A to B and the way that businesses prey on the less fortunate these days saddens my heart. They offered me way less than what I paid for my car and It wasn't even enough to get another car or fix the repairs. What they did was cover themselves from doing the job they are paid months on months to do. The USAA member's rates definitely went up and the service they gave to what they called (ACCEPTING LIABILITY) was not acceptance but toleration for the accident. These people did whatever they could to misuse the opportunity to restore to me what their paid client has taken away and they deliberately hurt me and my children and left us without.

I hope another person reads this and hears me clear, these aren't the kind of people worth doing business with. This company earned 30.02 billion dollars last year. A used car for a single mom and her children would not have hurt your pockets. A fair outcome to an unfortunate accident would have cost you just a few thousands and your associates tried their best to low ball me. You're a disgraceful business. This kind of business practice is absolutely disgusting. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ that your intentions towards others fall back on all who practice this kind of business.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I've been with USAA according to their records, 25 yrs as of January 2018. Not true. It's actually longer than that, but whatever. Just like they don't show I have a bank account with them that is very much active. But, up until a divorce, a loss of job and income going from two-person income to just mine due to the divorce, my rates did not increase and I had NO issues with them. I praised to every one about USAA! I recommended them to many others who are former military who didn't know about them. But, after the financial situation I was thrown into due to the divorce and so forth I have experienced SEVERAL rate increases with USAA (not even related to driving record) that have left me unable to afford their premiums of $2500 "FOR JUST 6 MONTHS" for two ADULT drivers over 25 years of age.

I spoke with a USAA rep today in fact that told me my premiums have increased because 1) they asked the state of Texas for an increase in premiums for all TEXAS drivers because of THE LOSSES "THEY" (USAA) COULD SUFFER IN THE FUTURE"! Nobody knows what the "FUTURE" holds and I think it is incredibly ridiculous an increase of rates is approved for "future" losses that "COULD BE" sustained. I feel they are raking Texas drivers over the coals just because they are headquartered in Texas. I'm also angry that rates increase through financial hardships not controlled by its members. I've had to be late on payments but paid them. I received a cancellation notice but it wasn't cancelled. Didn't matter. STILL warranted a rate increase.

If I am struggling to pay premiums after going from having my ex husband's income to having just my own ($40K to $25K) how do they figure I can pay higher premiums? There is NO compassion! There is NO understanding or desire to help those in need. I've had "1" accident (May 12, 2017) since 2006 and I paid $20 a month to have that accident forgiven. I've also not had a single ticket in many years! Auto insurance is "required" in Texas and Texas auto insurance rates are some of the highest in the country for the very reason the state gets kickbacks from these companies such as USAA to give the b.s. rate increases. I was a "THIRD GENERATION" USAA member. I expected more integrity than this.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I agree with the recent low ratings for USAA and the poor reviews. I've been a member for 45 years. It was great in the beginning, but now they are too big, too impersonal. They have lost their customer first policy. You have to weed your way through a computer network to get answers and finally get someone who does not handle the problem. The right hand no longer knows what the left hand is doing. They are all about greed and growing the company. They never use to advertise. Now they buy expensive ads on NFL games with players disrespecting our nation's flag.

As a retired military officer, they previously only served officers, retired officers, and their families. As they try to rapidly expand the company, it seems like they insurance anyone. No wonder our USAA insurance rates are skyrocketing - NFL advertising and insuring risky clients. On my most recent claim, all they are doing is stonewalling. They are not listening to what I want to do. It seems like it is their way or the highway. Yes, it is time to look for my auto insurance elsewhere!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: July 11, 2018

One of the worst insurance companies I have ever dealt with. They 100% do not try to work with someone who has been hit by one of their insured. I was backed into and had my car totaled out. The price they came up with won't even come close to replacing my vehicle. They compared my vehicle to ones not even close to mine with comparison... I was left without a car 2 jobs and they only would allow me to keep their rental for 3 days! The check wasn't issued for over another week! USAA you are horrible and do not even try to help the one who was innocent but back the ones who hit you 100%!

Original review: July 9, 2018

My car was hit from back on June 16, 2018 by USAA member. When I called them to claim for them to fix my car they made a claim and gave me a number but never did any communication with me for 2 weeks to tell me status. I called back as I had been driving for 2 weeks without any back bumper thanks to their driver. At that point, I called them, they told me they are trying to get police report. I personally went to police station, got the report and forwarded to them and then they changed the status that because the story of police is conflicting with our member so we can't help until we resolve this. It has been 30 days and still I haven't heard anything back from them. One of their agent clearly told me that "I recommend you fixing your car with your own insurance" because she probably knew that USAA will never fix my car. MOST IRRESPONSIBLE AUTO INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH.

Original review: July 8, 2018

It seems the common thread these reviews is they take care of their "own" but not the rest of the human beings that happen to live in America and often are military families. I was rear ended while stopped waiting for the truck in front of me to turn. The speed limit was 50mph, and the USAA driver (thru her parents) was found to be a distracted driver who never looked up to even try to slow down or stop. That was June 13th. Despite immediate proof of fault, I had to get my own rental. 4 days later, I did receive a request to leave a voicemail with the rental info, as they decided to take over my rental. I was also told that if I was "sick of waiting for their help and reached out to my own insurance company to deal with the situation, 'they would be out'."

Of course I have been using my own insurance company for advocacy and help. That does not make USAA less responsible. My insurance company had to smooth that over with them. I have heard nothing from them since, until this week. They do not care about my injuries, ambulance ride, or how I am doing now. Tuesday night at 6:30, the night before a holiday, I received a call with a total loss offer for my vehicle. Despite my assumption that my car had frame damage and would not be repairable, I was never told. I went over the details about how they came to their total, and realized that they left off many options. They also asked me where my car was.

I tried to get an understanding of how they inspected my car but did not know where it was. I obviously had no idea once it was picked up from the tow yard. During this conversation, I was informed that I needed to send my title, so that I could receive a check, and that the rental was being canceled as of Monday the 9th. I reminded "total loss" person that she was going to check into the value of the options she did not have listed. She said she would get back to me. Attempts at trying to be proactive with having another car lined up were pointless, as dealerships were not open on the 4th.

On Thursday, my insurance company, Progressive, called them again, with me on the phone to attempt to resolve. We were asked to prove the options my car has, as they did not have any pictures from their person of my fog lights, back up camera, navigation, etc. Now, they will not correctly assess my vehicle until I prove the options that my car has, that I no longer have, that USAA has already evaluated. This does not make any kind of sense. Trying to help, my insurance company is having someone go take pictures of all the options they did not list or confirm so that I can get the appropriate amount for my car. My insurance also reminded them of rental that should not be canceled since they have not given accurate value.

We were told that it is right in the contract, that I have 3 business days from the date an offer is made, to make arrangements and return the vehicle. Despite my rep reminding them that I do not have a contract that says anything, because I am not a USAA member, and I do not have a check to replace my car, I am stuck. They said, "It does not matter, it's 3 days." I am still dealing with medical problems and I cannot even imagine how badly they will attempt to further rake me over the coals with that. I DID NOT HIT THEIR CLIENT. Their client was a negligent driver who could have ended my life, and her own, because she was not paying attention. My car took care of me. She trashed my car, that I just paid off months ago.

After being hit, while completely stopped, at 50 +, I was pushed into the truck in front of me, and ended up across the road into the side of a tractor trailer that was parked off the road. I am unclear about why I am being treated as though I have done something wrong. Thank goodness my insurance company has been so supportive and helpful, but they are hitting brick walls with USAA as well.

USAA - You are using the people who really do defend our country and ALL the people in it, to make yourselves look American and wholesome and like you have some appreciation for this country and the people who live in it. You are just using this campaign that you have sunk your teeth into, to make yourselves bigger and richer. What you really do is mistreat and scam people who do not deserve it. I am from a military family. You just proved what you say means nothing. My dad and a sibling also have USAA. Well maybe not anymore.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Kid was in an accident in December. It's July and we are still trying to get USAA to pay to fix our car to the condition it was before. They are terrible. As long as you pay and don't ask them to hold up their end you're ok. But the minute you call them on the contract they are ready to make excuses why they don't need to make you whole again. Don't even get involved. They have gone downhill fast. I have been a member for a long time - I will be looking for other insurance company.

Original review: June 30, 2018

There are many of us who have been hustled by them. I really think we should come together and start a class action suit, whatever it takes. Here is my story: Their member was at fault, and because of her my car was not drivable. I use the car for Lyft and my brother uses it for Uber. We couldn't afford to be without a car so I called their customer service for advice (it was a Saturday and the adjusters were out). Their customer service told me to rent a car and if they take liability they will reimburse me (word for word... they were that specific). So I rented a car within an hour after the accident (May 19).

I call on Monday and the adjuster told he will get in touch with me when he gets a hold of their member... that's understandable, no arguing there. A couple of days go by and I did not get a call. I call back and hear the same thing. Ok, but the rental is costing me money I soon will not be able to afford, so I asked if they would cover a rental if I get it through Lyft because it's a lot cheaper. They hit me with the “It is our protocol to only pay for a rental when the car is being repaired”. So the arguing started, but we didn't get anywhere.

The adjuster eventually admitted that he would rent a car if he was in my shoes, but that's about it. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I still didn't get a call from them (June the 5th), so I called them. I get told that they took liability on May the 25th, and after negotiations, they decided they will reimburse me for the rental from the 25th til the car is repaired, if the car is not safely drivable. So they sent a field inspector on the 8th and he declared it to be in fact not safely drivable. They even got it towed to a body shop.

Now by the 20th, the car is finally drivable again. Now I am left with the whole rental reimbursement situation. I submitted a detailed receipt so that they can calculate what they are supposed to pay. It's the 30th now and it is still ongoing. I called them and all I get told is that it is in the review department, and every time I call, the reason it is still under investigation changes. All they have been doing is putting it off and coming up with all kind of irrelevant talks, trying to dissuade me from pursuing reimbursement.

I spoke to a manager and he told me they will call me sometime mid-next week. Go figure... I couldn't lay the full rental amount and the rest of the payment is due mid-next week, which he knew. Definitely a USAA move to out it all off until then, if they even complete "the investigation" by them. If course, I will still have to wait for the check to arrive which will make me late anyway, but at least I would know it is all coming to an end after all.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Fast service... Great quality. A lot of the footwork of filing a claim is done for you... They can give you a list of garages that they work with and all the legwork is done with quality manufacturer parts... Not easy when you are getting a SAAB 92x repaired.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I am beside myself trying to figure out why these guys represent the military and the good people that volunteer to put their lives on the line. After the 20/20 or was it a 60 minutes episode about how they resold vehicles that were flooded I refused to believe they were that unethical until now. I have been working on getting reimbursed for an accident my daughter was in over 2 months ago. She was rear ended at 40 mph and is lucky she didn't get killed or have serious injury, but the 2008 Saturn Vue was totaled. An insurance company is suppose to give you enough to replace the same vehicle. Ours was in perfect condition and the least expensive one I could find is $6,500 plus tax title and license around another $600.00.

They offered $5,400 and we fought to get more. They came up to $5,500. Now I finally accepted it because I need a vehicle but now it's been 3 1/2 weeks, I sent them the title as requested and now no one has called to pick up vehicle or set anything up. I am so beside myself and would suggest anyone who has to deal with them to get a lawyer and get whatever you can to make up for all the people they have short sided and deceived. All I ever wanted was them to give me enough to replace the car. They didn't even have to pay medical bills. They are a disgrace to the military.

Original review: June 27, 2018

USAA has great telephone response but has terrible skyrocketing rates. Prior CEO destroyed it since damaging the Officer only underwriting base. Fire the BOD. Create USAA II, and limit to Commissioned Officers.

Original review: June 26, 2018

The job of any insurance carrier is in the event of a loss, the carrier is to put you back where you were before the claim... not better and certainly not worse. That is unless you are dealing with USAA... You will get terms thrown at you like... "This is our protocol." Protocol is for military actions... If you do not know how to service customers and the claims that come with them, get out of the business. USAA is not the company they claim to be... Avoid at all COST!

Original review: June 25, 2018

In early April 2018, a USAA member ran a red light and caused enough damage on my car to declare it a total loss. I have been trying to resolve the claim for 4 months now. I am lied to and given different departments to deal with that only lie more. As of today June 25, 2018 they are now blaming my leasing company for the delay. I must continue to pay my car's lease payments to protect my credit record. I am filing a formal complaint with both the BBB and Ohio Department of Insurance. My entire family has served in the Military and this company is a disgrace.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Over my course of my lifetime (I'm now 78 years of age) my experience with USAA (e.g. automobile, Life, and homeowner) has far exceeded that of the other insurance companies (e.g. State Farm, Allstate, and Geico) that I have dealt with. Their claims resolution was quick, accurate, and highly satisfactory.

Original review: June 23, 2018

USAA treats the policyholder as a very valued client and takes excellent care to provide the best service and policies for the best prices that no other insurance company can match. Their hands-on attention is above and beyond any other company. When filing a claim, they make it quick and easy by taking information by phone, then giving you a choice of who to take your car to for repairs. You get a check by mail; smooth and speedy transaction.

Original review: June 22, 2018

June 23, 2018. I am making a formal complaint about a claim I have with USAA Auto Insurance Company. Background. On May 23, 2018, my car (2008 Ford Mustang), was struck in Jacksonville, FL. The driver of the other vehicle was charged with running a red light and was insured by USAA. No charges were made against me. USAA was notified by both parties on that day and USAA reported to that they would handle the claim. Since that phone call, I have tried contacting USAA several times and left several messages, and they have not returned my calls. They have neither sent a claim adjuster to review the damages nor have they made an offer to repair the damages. My out of pocket costs for the repairs will be $9,200 when the repairs are completed. I have been without a car for over a month. Recommendation. USAA should not be allowed to sell insurance in the State of Florida.

Updated on 07/15/2018: After reporting USAA to the Better Business Bureau on June 24, I received an email from the Office of the CEO at USAA (on the evening of June 26) requesting my USAA claim number. That information was emailed on the morning of June 27. Since that time, I have been contacted by several people at USAA (by voice messenger). I returned their calls shortly after I receiving them, but none of my voices messages were returned to discuss my claim.

On July 6, I was requested to resend the estimated cost of repairs and photographs of the damages, which on did on July 6. Seven weeks after the accident, my repairs were completed on July 12, and I paid the repair shop (which is on USAA’s approved list of approved repair shops) $9,259. On July 13, USAA’s Total Lost and Salvage Claims Division notified me that the value of my car was worth only $5,639 and they would be willing to pay that amount if I gave them title of the Mustang.

In Summary It took USAA over 7 weeks to notify me what portion of the damages they were willing to pay. I waited nearly 3 weeks before I started the repair work, and the Mustang was in the garage for nearly 5 weeks for repairs. After over 7 weeks since the accident, USAA finally prepared an estimate, as to what they were willing to pay for the collision. During that 50 day period, USAA neither made an offer for a car rental nor to offer compensation for the inconvenience of not having the use of a car for 50 days. Recommendation. USAA should not be allowed to sell insurance in the state of Florida. (I am a veteran.)

Original review: June 22, 2018

Their customer service department is excellent. But their management, no so much. They wanted to raise my premium by 60% because I had a lapse in coverage. I am now insured with MetLife.

Original review: June 19, 2018

USAA raised our Auto Insurance premiums and we haven't been at fault for the recent accidents on our car. State Farm insurance paid for the one accident which the other driver was at fault. The second accident listed was a FedEx Ground driver who backed his truck into our parked car in our driveway. I tried to resolve this issue with USAA, but after speaking with at least 5 different agents and a Manager, no one at USAA was willing to take responsibility to fix the incorrect rate increase. I finally had to send in a protest to the Maryland Insurance Commissioner. USAA has terrible customer service.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I shopped around at all the major carriers and USAA with 40% cheaper than any of the other companies. Their online services are easy to use and their telephone support is fantastic. USAA is available to all veterans and these are outstanding price reflect your commitment to those who have served our country.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Beware! Verify in writing the total loss payoff amount that goes to the lien holder. I had a total loss. I am low income and was treated horribly by USAA. They were shady. My ex-husband was an upper level officer. I have many years of working with the court system and am very honest. First I was investigated like a criminal, that due to "financial hardship" there could be foul play. I was blocked out of conversations. It drag on for four months. My attorney was afraid I would pay him then USAA would settle and I would be out of pocket.

I had a lienholder. I agreed to the written amount due I received from the lienholder, approximately 10,000. USAA told me that we were all in agreement so I sent in the Power of Attorney. As soon as they got it, I received a notice of "24 hour guarantee" from the lien holder for 13,000, about three thousand more than I had ever been billed for. USAA instantly made out a check to the lien holder. I told them I had no notice of an increase of payoff to the lien holder. My attorney is somewhat shocked. It seems unrecoverable.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My spectacularly awful experience with Total Loss dept. communities.usaa.com. If you have USAA, pray that you never need them to pay for damages to your vehicle. If you need them to pay, just get a lawyer now. They will try to avoid paying you, they will stretch everything out, they will do shady stuff, no one will be able to answer your questions, and they will blame you for all of it. This is why.

01FEB18- I was rear ended by a 17 year old driving alone under a permit. 02FEB18- I report the accident to USAA early in the morning. I got rear at night and then had to take my passenger home. End of March/beginning of April- The driver have gave Progressive as her insurance and they took until this point to tell me that there was supposedly no coverage available at this time. They won't even tell me why. 11APR18- I get my vehicle appraised and am advised that it may be a total loss. 13APR18- I get a call from another appraiser asking where my vehicle is housed. Apparently, they had an imminent appointment with me, one that neither they nor USAA told/asked me about, and they needed to know where my vehicle was housed. We managed to get it looked at later that same day. Photos were even taken of the inside of my clearly visible camper shell.

16MAY18- The truck is a total loss, I am assigned an adjuster. Nothing further is needed from me at this time. 21MAY18- I get a message telling me to call Total Loss. 22-24MAY18- I get several estimates, several of which include my camper shell as a "deluxe cap". 25MAY18- I am told that my camper shell needs its own evaluation. I am asked for receipts, which I give. 30MAY18- I receive an estimate including the adjustment for the camper shell. It is about as much as it was before they decided it required further attention so I ask why that is and how a 3000 dollar shell that I've had for less than a year depreciated to 500 dollars so rapidly. Also, how did they decide how much it was worth before they had receipts and brand names and what not? The question is asked of the file manager, whose name I have. He sends it to legal to see if USAA has to cover the camper shell at all.

31MAY18- A co-worker of my adjuster calls (I had never actually heard from my adjuster and no one ever seemed to be able to find her) who asks for info on my camper. Later I call and end up asking if settling the truck will jeopardize my ability to get paid for the camper shell that is on the truck when they figure all that out. I am told to wait it out. The agent finds out that I am still driving the truck, which is something I have told anyone who asked about where the truck was, and then asks someone else about it and says they may have to lower their estimates. Really? Apparently, I can't ask "legal" which is where she says my file is, about settling the truck while they figure things out, and am just told that "legal" has a quick turnaround. She then tries to blame me for things going wrong.

I call later to get a number to someone who can answer my question and I can't. Apparently, "legal" is not a department, I cannot have the name of my claims manager, and nobody will answer my questions. 01JUN18- The guy who sent my file to legal calls, and clearly has no information at all. I get some numbers from him, including the ones for the guy over him and the total loss manager. He says that if the shell was a "camper shell" that it would be covered. Since it is a "camper sleeper" it may not be. I built the bed that is in it with my own two hands. It is attached to my vehicle just like a "camper shell" is, it has no bathroom and no kitchen. It is a shell. That, and they have photos of the inside of the camper shell and have this entire time.

05JUN18- I get a call from a guy on the advocacy team who is determined to believe, despite my attempts to correct him, that the problem is simply that "legal" is taking too long. By now USAA has taken too long but that isn't the problem. Nothing useful comes of this conversation. 06JUN18- I call and am told that "legal" had gotten my file the previous afternoon. It went to legal sometime around the file manager sending it, but then it was taken by the advocacy team in response to my forum posts. They took the entire file, not a copy, and wasted even more time. I am then told that I can't even settle on the undisputed value of the truck because they are still messing with the camper shell.

07JUN18- I get a call from the Total Loss manager. I'd left him a message the day before. He is unable to give any useful information so I ask about how they valued my camper shell back when they had it on the estimate and were willing to pay for it. Although he seemed hesitant to acknowledge that they were going to pay for it and had acknowledged that it was a shell before the 25th, he did say that they send CCC information about the camper, such as type. I ask what they sent them if they didn't have a receipt or a brand prior to the 25th. He said photos. Not only couldn't he really answer the question about valuation, he tried to blame me. I send some phone numbers to a lawyer and he leaves a message.

08JUN18- I get a call from my claims adjuster (first time I have ever heard from her) who tells me that they won't cover the camper shell. She then tries to rush me to Total Loss and settlement. I ask about the valuation process, and she is also unable to give an answer (no one in this entire thing has been able to tell me why they are walking back their decision to cover it in the first place). I tell her that my lawyer called. She names him (first and last name) before I do. She says she'll call him.

Considering how shady they've been (attempting to avoid having to talk to my lawyer, despite knowing he left a message), the mess I've put up with, the walking back on their commitments, their stretching things out further than they needed to be, and the having their people blame me for their incompetence, I'm not exactly holding my breath. Update: I received a call from that guy on the advocacy team who did absolutely nothing. He wanted to circle back to me and I guess say things that just wasted more of my time. The guy had absolutely nothing to say except to note that he had seen my last update and that he knew I had an attorney. Whatever.

My attorney called and, from what he said, it sounds like my adjuster is being shady again. Apparently it wouldn't have mattered if it was considered a truck cap, it still would be considered property, rather than part of the vehicle. Considering that I have at around 13 offers that include my truck shell, that is simply not the case. Also considering that her boss said that if my shell was a "camper shell" then it would be considered part of the vehicle but because it may be a "camper sleeper" it may need its own coverage, what she said definitely isn't true.

Considering that my adjuster herself said that if it was one of those things where the top of the camper sits level with the bed in your truck and then pops up when you want it to (a pop up camper?). I'm going to conclude that she, and rest, just don't want to honor their commitment. I am very glad that I downloaded all of the documents, offers, and photos that prove that they could see the shell, knew what it was, valued it in some way they refused to explain, and included it in my official offer. Good luck trying to lie through that.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have moved 3 times since having USAA. Every single time I have called and asked if our moving truck was covered on the insurance. Every single time I was told yes! Well that is NOT TRUE! We got into an accident with the moving truck and conveniently it is not covered. AND CONVENIENTLY they have “no” phone record of my conversations. Guess I need an attorney for them to “find” the phone conversation. They told me sorry, ha! Sorry doesn’t fix the moving truck. Do not trust a single word they tell you, they LIE! They also only help people who have no insurance and no drivers license, true story! What a SCAM COMPANY! Do not use USAA! Find coverage elsewhere.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We went to the body shop USAA recommended for 700 doing. Shop said 3 to 7 days. However the shop giving excuses on why not done. We told them the car had to be done next week period. Got the car back and the door is crooked. The chrome is dinged and scratched. USAA has wiped its hands on the shop accountability. So disappointed and leaving.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I was in a car accident with someone who has USAA and they giving me the running around. I called and sent pictures. Amanda the adjuster said, "Oh our client is at faith." Then a couple days later she talking about she want to do an full investigation so I went and got an attorney. Now they have been speaking to me very rude. My car isnt driveable. It shakes very bad and my water is draining out as soon as I put water in it. They keep telling me to call my insurance why when their client came down the wrong way. They are so unprofessional and they try to make it seem like their client isn't at fault.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have been with USAA for over 20 years. I have property insurance and car insurance with them. Years ago, USAA was a top company. I am not sure what is going on with their company now but, I have decided to leave their company because of the bad experience I've had within the past year. I have been paying my car insurance in full for the last few years. Every time the renewal come up my car insurance goes up. I have never had a ticket and never been in an accident. I called USAA and the reason I was giving is the state I reside has a lot of claims for customers with accidents and tickets, so they raised everyone insurance due to this issue. I never heard such nonsense. Then the customer service agent tells me we can review my insurance and maybe raise my deductibles or change some of my options to lower my insurance.

I read a lot of reviews here that state USAA is a 5-star company so, not true. Maybe 10 years ago but, now they have poor customer support for veterans and military. Property insurance is horrible as well. My roof was damaged from the hurricane that came through Georgia in 2017. I contacted USAA and they sent an adjuster out to inspect my roof not the damage that was in the inside of my home. I contacted USAA to find out if there will be an adjuster to come out to check the water damage on my ceilings. The customer service agent in the claims department tell me that the adjuster said I only have $300 dollars’ worth of damage which was not true and told USAA that they recommend I put a trap on my home. I have been with this company since I was a private in the Army and now retired. I was truly upset so I decided to get an experience roofing and home inspector to check my home.

They took photos of the roof, attic and the ceiling. The damaged was over $1200 dollars. I contacted USSA sent all the information from the company and was told they will need their adjuster with the company to see the damages. That tell me USAA do not trust their customers nor do they care about helping their customers in their time of need. I got the damage fix but, USAA never reimburse me. I was told because their adjuster did not do the inspection they cannot assist me with a refund. No paying customer with long business with USAA should have to deal with such unprofessional and uncaring issues. I have sent a lot of my friends to USAA and they have experienced issues as well. So disappointed.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I've had my car insurance with USAA for the last 33 years and I have been more than satisfied with the company and their services. My overall experience with USAA has been very satisfying and with ease in purchasing it from the very beginning. They have grown and branched out a lot since I first started doing business with them. They only offered car insurance but now you can get homeowners and renters as well as life and even some medical. They also offer college tuition programs to help you save better, and financial advice and services to go along with most investments. They're always introducing some new product or service to the members. USAA have been more than fair with me and their products are reasonably priced and they even offer different pay schedules for making your payments to make it easier on you.

Original review: June 1, 2018

USAA is the best insurance company out there without a shadow of a doubt. Great and very helpful. They ensure you know everything and that you do not get in over your head. They take care of Eveything! They ensure you do not need anything and answer all questions you may have.

Original review: May 31, 2018

USAA has both my home and auto insurance. I receive a longevity and good driver discount but think there should be more discounts for good driving. Also for keeping a low mileage on the car. I don't agree with rate hikes just because of an accident or ticket. Then your insurance is basically acting like a lien. I switched to USAA after another insurance for teachers A plus or something similar raised my rates so high for a ticket that I couldn't afford it. USAA offer a more affordable rate.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky