Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Manage your policy and claims online
  • Affordable rates for USAA members

CONS

• Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

In over 45 years with USAA, I've had 3- 4 fender benders, bought a car through them, transferred car insurance on a Saturday on a car that I paid cash for, obtained a mortgage from them, obtained flood insurance in the low country, and rely on a visa from them the most because they do not penalize you if you miss a month, without ANY problems. Plus they have always been extremely nice. While I've been a member, I have lived in SC, AL, NY, NJ, VA, NC, and DC with no issues. They have earned my trust, unlike so many corporations that suffer from American 'greed' not ethics. I don't usually write reviews, but after reading all of those negative reviews I felt compelled to rebut them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have had USAA for 10 years and never had any problems. Customer service is great and ready to help. I have my auto insurance and homeowner's insurance with them. I know people think that only immediately family like spouse and children can be added, but I had my sister on my insurance when we were living together. When I needed to make a claim, it was so quick and easy that I don't even remember dealing with it at all. I would bank with USAA if there were local opportunities. They were the first place I checked when I wanted a home loan too. Unfortunately, my credit or something wasn't great enough to be qualified and we had to go elsewhere. But I absolutely love USAA.

I am dealing with an issue from about 5 years ago and I was able to log into the USAA website and chat with a member who almost instantly was able to get the old policy documents I needed for proof. I saw that it says USAA is for active and retired military, but that is not the full extent. Veterans are also welcome, you don't need to put in the full 20 years or be active to qualify so long as you have your DD214 (you may need to be honorably discharged though, not sure).

Whenever I contact them, they always inquire about changes in the family or status. They strive to be up-to-date. They add the children on the account, which is great for their own USAA coverage. USAA isn't just an insurance company, they care about your family and needs. I am so happy to have USAA, I checked around for other insurance several years ago when I added my sister on and found that insurance rates were much higher. I would recommend USAA to all active military, retired, veterans, and dependents.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for three years now and have made two claims. One was for an accident that I had with another vehicle. She was making a left going north and I, on the other side of the road, was making a left going south and we met in the middle. She had GEICO insurance. This was my first accident that caused $2000+ in damages. I received letters and phone calls from her insurance company that stated I was at fault and I would be responsible for her damage and injuries.

I contacted USAA and expressed my concern for this since my insurance company and the state accident investigator told me they thought she was at fault, though no citation was issued to either party. USAA assured me that this is normal and I should just let the insurance companies hash it out, which they did. While my vehicle was at the dealer getting accident repairs a customer from their parts department backed into my vehicle and did extensive damage to the undamaged side of my vehicle. All told, my vehicle was out of commission for two months, just two weeks after I purchased it. It spent more time on the dealer body shop floor than it had in my driveway. USAA was on top of all of this and they kept tabs on the progress of my repairs and kept me informed. Now that's one heck of an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My wife got hit by a vehicle which ended up totaling her Honda Ridgeline. From the initial calls, to getting the rental, to getting a fair reimbursement from USAA, the whole process went extremely smoothly. We didn't have to speak to agents many times over the phone, since the website gives a clear overview of where things stand in the claims process. That being said, the times we did have to speak to a representative, I got clear answers and friendly treatment each time. I was expecting a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised. I got the honest feeling that each person wanted to help us get our situation resolved for us and cared about the outcome. This all coming after a significantly lower premium after switching from Liberty Mutual, who we had been a customer for over 10 years.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been with USAA for over twenty years. I have had claims, no issues at all. I realize that insurance is not total replacement, of what I think the value is. I have had several employees that were wonderful and very few that weren't but is that not in every company we work for or in. I am USAA for life. I also realize that most of the negative comments are short of validity and broad in specific information. Unless you go to the upset new boyfriend in March that does not qualify. USAA may be a little higher in some states but they have less fine print or traps other have. You save money in the long run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: April 1, 2020

It's really sad honestly.....I've had USAA Insurance for over 35 years. In the past I can easily say there was no finer company to do business with, they had my loyalty unquestionably. My understanding has always been the intent of the organization was to offer great insurance at a reasonable price to Veterans and their families. Over the last 5 years or so, I've seen their customer service decline, while at the same time, their rates going up. I recently purchased a new vehicle and when I went to add it to my policy (I'm 50's good driving record with, one minor fender bender, never totaled a car in my lifetime) they wanted to jack my policy up by over $1000.00. I shopped around with other very reputable insurance companies and found all were willing to insure me for 30-45% less (and yes with comparable coverage).

I've seen lately that USAA has been advertising nationally on TV quite frequently. Makes me wonder. First, these advertising cost must obviously be driving up policy prices. Second, the company used to be so good that almost every veteran would insure with them, so with that kind of word of mouth, why the need to advertise so much? In my opinion USAA completely lost sight of their original mission and now they are simply another insurer that is focused on profits and not the Veterans they supposedly serve. Not surprisingly, CEO pay is on the rise as well with USAA's CEO taking home over 4.2 million last year alone. At the end of the day, this used to be a company I bragged about. Now, I'm afraid they lost their way and as a result are rapidly losing long time members like me for good.

Original review: March 30, 2020

This may have been true in the past. I had been with USAA for almost 20 years with only 3 major claims (and none on the 3 homes I have owned with their home owner's insurance. I was involved in a hit and run at the hospital I worked at (happens at least monthly to all of us). The investigator came a week and a half later to ask what parking spot I was in and I told them what I thought (who can remember in a HUGE lot even the same day!). The one camera on a shed happened to show only that exact spot and turns out I was wrong. The investigator also went to my auto repair shop and told the manager he thought I was, "making up stories." VERY unprofessional. The auto shop called me and told me they thought it looked like classic hit in a parking lot.

They told me that USAA has been very problematic to death with in recent years and to get AAA or Travelers. Also my EDR showed NO crashes which USAA could not explain how this damage would have happened if I was not in motion and hit something causing this much damage. I tried to get ahold of my investigator who told me he would return calls and did not (I had important additional info). They apologized for the way it was handled but did nothing because they had closed the case. Then they canceled my plan. I received NO letter just a check with a remaining monthly balance so I called and the girl took 10 minutes to figure out why. She then told me it would be cancelled in 5 days.

I told her I never received a letter and then received one 3 days later with a BACKDATED letter (was stamped to mail out 5 days after letter date). When I tried to log on to my USAA it told me my access has been restricted. I still have a home owner's plan with them and all the legal back and forth communication is now restricted to me. Then they sent a letter telling me I still have to pay $865 for my next premium of 6 months regardless of cancellation. I've never been as stressed or had to deal with with a company I've trusted for so long like this. It's actually unbelievable. DO NOT get USAA.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Going thru a Separation and merely called to INQUIRE about my coverage and status and got asked a series of questions WITHOUT being informed that my answers would cause COVERAGE IMPLICATIONS...Apparently INFORMED CONSENT does not apply in Insurance, only health care. After answering questions related to our separation and where we each reside TEMPORARILY, I learn that since I am not the Primary (essentially not the breadwinner) that only my car is covered but NO LONGER ARE MY BELONGINGS (even though I have a JEWELRY rider on the account)...typical, you pay for something and then they bag it when there is any concern or issue, no claim, just a temporary living change. AND now any passenger in MY car that is covered is not protected, EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT for years (so WITH a TEMPORARY change non-breadwinner/primary is NOT COVERED).

Now that's justice, especially since the Primary BreadWinner is the Liar and Cheat and continues to possess Control over the abused/separated...Way to go USAA/Insurers--perpetuating the cycle of abuse. I do not understand how you pay for something and it is no longer valid? Why can a member not call in to learn about changes or implications. ONE SHOULD BE INFORMED of any STATUS IMPLICATION before making that determination. So the answer is DO NOT CALL IN FOR INQUIRY OR TO SIMPLY ASK QUESTIONS because they are not interested in your humanity, only your money.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I kept waiting for them to send me my title procurement paper. They were emailed to me before you know 10-days were up. Rental car company demanded to have their car back. After Contracting USAA Insurance it was their policy that on all total Vehicles get 10 days. After asking them how was I supposed to get my car paid off if they never sent me the title procurement papers and why I would have to be responsible for this rental car when they have never sent me the papers. I get no answer back in return except I'm out of about $450 on a rental car. Why even pay the insurance I say..??

Original review: March 19, 2020

I am not a USAA member, but was hit by one. He backed into my legally parked car in a parking lot. USAA first claimed that they could not sent an adjuster to go inspect the damage for an estimate for an entire week (which is ridiculously long). Nine days after this, I called the body shop to check the status. They told me USAA had not sent anyone out yet and were not planning on coming until two days after they had originally said they could. Because of this, the body shop asked if they could simply take pictures (which USAA already had) and send an estimate. USAA agreed to this, and the body shop was able to finish my repairs.

When I called USAA to double check payment, they told me that they were sending me a check to reimburse me, and I would have to pay the body shop myself. This is ridiculous--- I can't afford to pay thousands of dollars in repairs. This is what the insurance is for, and they had accepted full fault for the accident. I asked why they could not pay the body shop directly, and they claimed that they did not have the complete information of the body shop--which is also untrue, as not only did I give them the details more than a week ago, but they have also been in direct contact with the body shop multiple times and could have gotten any information they needed.

Additionally, they claimed to have sent an adjuster to look at my car and get an estimate--which they never did, according to the body shop (which has no reason to lie). They told me they sent a check three days ago which has not yet arrived, and I have sincere doubts that it ever will. In the meantime, I have no way to pay for my repairs. They told me they could cancel the check to me and pay the body shop directly, but it would take several weeks. NEVER EVER DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. If you are hit by one of their members, my sincerest apologies, and I urge you to suggest strongly to that person that they change insurance companies as well. They will get screwed.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in a collision, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor