USAA Auto Insurance

5,972people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with USAA Auto Insurance:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I've been very satisfied with USAA over the years. The main reasons I keep my auto insurance through them are: 1. Competitive rates, 2. Easy claims process, 3. Simple and Intuitive web interface. I find USAA's entire web interface to be simple and straightforward. If I want to adjust my coverage, I can easily do it online. If I want to add/delete a car - simple to do online. They have multiple payment options (although I usually just auto-pay the entire amount). I should say they are also the company I bank with. Having a one-stop shop is convenient. Unfortunately their Homeowners Insurance rates aren't as competitive - otherwise I would use USAA for all my insurance and banking needs.

I called in August 2016 to cancel our auto policy and spoke to Meredith. She asked, "Why?" I told her we had no accidents, tickets and increasing, that we found better rate. She looked over policy and stated could be high because we had been paying renters insurance since 1/2016. I stated we canceled when bought our house. She stated that we would owe about a difference of 40.00 but with 7 months of paying renters that it should break even with credit. My other insurance company has made two drafts already and I noticed USAA has drafted our account on 9-15-16 for 75.00. I call and speak to Patty ID **. She only could tell me that they have recording from auto pay before and they could draft after cancellation and unauthorized. I explained I had been paying renters past 7 months when I no longer rent, I own and had homeowners. I explained should have relieved credit to cover. She stated she couldn't tell me why.

So I explain, "You took our money past 7 months for something not using. You also take more from our bank without consent." She had me hold multiple times, up to a hour. I asked for supervisor. She stated they don't have one. I asked if have corporate? She stated, "Corporate?..." as if she didn't know. She then stated, "No." She stated she talked to co-worker who stated she can inform me that my attorney can get power of attorney over me to discuss my account?? I informed her that she resolved none of the customers issues and I would notify this agency. My bank informed to file dispute. I called back and spoke to Morgan, operator who informed me to call CEO member services in am. Why couldn't Patty advice customer this? Very unprofessional, unresolved issue. Please ensure doesn't happen to any other service member! Thank you!

I had my vehicle checked at the dealership for a check engine light. The dealership informed me it was due to animals chewing up wires, creating a solenoid replacement at the tune of 1k. I obviously wasn't very happy and had to use a rental car. I made a claim to USAA and was pre approved for the claim over the phone prior to an appraiser being sent to inspect. For 5 days now I've been given the runaround by USAA, meanwhile I'm racking up 35 dollars a day in rental fees. I was given the wrong appraisal company info, adjuster not returning my calls and now the appraisal company taking their time with this assessment. My claim was basically put at the bottom of the pile because they aren't on the hook for the rental, so those who do have the coverage are being taken care of first so those fees are not incurred by USAA.

The appraisal was finally done yesterday, but I went in this morning to get the car which was done, only to find out the appraiser has given the ok yet. I'm beyond livid as I've been in a rental for a week for a repair that should've been done in one day and now my car sits at the dealership all repaired. I paid the bill in full, but yet I can't have my car. The adjuster says the usual bs, "I'm sorry blah blah blah." This company has offered me zero help in the matter and has been the worst customer service experience of my entire life. The adjuster even had the audacity to tell me I should add the rental coverage from here on out. Yes, let me continue this piss poor service of yours AND give you more money on top of it. Nope, I'll be canceling and going elsewhere. I haven't made a claim in probably 20+ years.

I called just to get a simple auto quote for car ins. After seeing their commercial, the guy said no problem yet spent the next hour plus asking me questions about me entry military dates, exit dates, date of commission, and many more questions. I told him I didn't have any docs with me and only wanted a simple ballpark quote. He says OK just give him estimate dates, so after answering more questions that my enlistment took finally leaves me holding for over 15 mins, returned to say the dates I gave him didn't match his records so he couldn't give me a quote.

My PTSD was through the roof. I can't begin to tell you how mad I am right now. I know I told him I only wanted a simple auto quote and was not going to sign up today. I guess they hire out of work timeshare salesmen to man the phones. Do NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS POOR EXCUSE OF A COMPANY! Then I have found no good reviews by people who have, or had their service...

My car was damaged by hail. I contacted USAA to report the damage and get a repair estimate. USAA me to their referred *preferred* body shop. The body shop determined the damage to my car was $5,373 and determined the cash value of my car to be $4,329. The body shop left me one voice message stating the car repairs exceeded the value of my car and that they were contacting USAA (even though USAA’s *preferred* body shops estimate states they discussed the estimate with me; which did NOT happen). I received a letter from USAA stating they were totaling my car. Unfortunately, my car cannot be replaced for less than $8,500 (but that is a different topic).

I reviewed the estimate and noticed they were charging me $1,010 just to replace the hood on my car; rather than repair the hail damage. The estimate looked inflated to me. I contacted USAA asked if could get another estimate and was informed by the USAA representative that it did not matter if I got another estimate. They had already decided to total my car and there was nothing I could do about it. I stated that I did not want to total my car and was told that I have two options total the car and receive the $4,329 payout or I could buy my car back for $2,500 (a car that cannot be replaced for less than $8,500).

I contacted one independent repair shop. The gentleman gave me an unbiased estimate to repair my car for $3,007 and explained the estimate. His estimate to repair the hood was $475 of the total repair bill (a difference of over $500 when compared to USAA’s *preferred* shop). I showed him the estimate from the other shop and he agreed it was inflated.

I asked USAA to accept my estimate of $3,007 and NOT total my car; USAA refused. USAA was determined to total my car and they sent me $2,500; since I decided to keep my car. I argued the damage to cash value of the car: $3,007/4,327 = 69%. I asked the USAA representative what percentage of damage to value they used to determine if a car is to be totaled and he refused to answer me. I pressured him and asked the same question at least 10 times before he finally answered with 70%. So, the damage to value of my car is below their threshold and should not be totaled.

Think about this… If they're reversed and USAA decided the repairs estimate should be $3,000 and my shop determined the cost to be around $5,000; USAA would have only paid the $3,000. This is an *unfair business practice*. USAA knows this and they also know that my only recourse is to spend thousands of dollars on legal fees and take them to civil court. I am confident I would win, but the cost is not worth it. I visited a few local car dealers about my experience with USAA and learned that the auction value of my car was over $5,000. USAA wanted to auction my car for $5,000, while giving me only $4,329 (minus my deductible). USAA is making a profit at my expense. My driving record is impeccable. I have not received a traffic citation in 34 years and I have not been involved in a vehicle collision in 32 years. And USAA refused to work with me…

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Member for over 20 years. Not one accident, got side swipes on the street. USAA has been lying and hanging up. Do not become a client of this company.

I got disconnected from my chat for the second time. Although it may take me a few minutes to respond at times, because I am busy at work, I got disconnected from the chat by your representative, even though I had to wait a very long time for them to reply each time. How you expect customers to wait on them to reply, yet they get to just end our chat if I take a few minutes to reply. You have just lost a customer. I want the supervisor or whoever to know that because of your company's poor customer service, I would never use USAA and would never recommend it to any either. This has been an absolutely horrible experience and waste of my time. I will be giving many poor reviews. I am very unhappy with the poor service proved by your company.

I have paid USAA to insure my homes/vehicles over 30 years. It seemed so easy, put all rental homes, personal residence, life insurance, umbrella insurance, 3 cars (I'm I forgetting anything) under one "roof". Yeah easy. YEAH EXPENSIVE!!! In 2010 my son's beloved 2 year old Subaru was stolen from student housing. After 4 days it was found, bashed, books and some contents stolen. USAA towed it to Subaru for estimates. They came back $8900 worth of damage.

It took 3 weeks for USAA to 'determine' the car had NOT been stolen, but that it was a story my son (a pre-med student at UCSD at the time) had concocted. NOT A CENT was paid to me. I got an attorney who said it was very common. That there was no reason to fight it because USAA had attorneys on salary who would send letters, ask for depositions, make phone calls and basically ring up $10K worth of atty bills so it just wasn't worth my time. I swore I'd move the insurance, but jeez there's so much to move and recalculate and all the sq footage, make model, year etc. I didn't do it.

Well one month ago my truck was stolen after insuring it 11 years with USAA. Gone. I HATE dealing with them. Only when I call to change insurance do I get a person, claims go straight to someone's phone machine. They don't talk to you, they send you 'message alerts' which aren't always convenient to get and I don't trust that system. The messages have been rude, condescending (here's one when I asked what about the stuff inside the truck: "you have already reported there was nothing of value inside the vehicle" working FOR me? You better not believe it!), and confusing. Forget about talking to a real person.

It has been a complete nightmare. First they refuse to reimburse me for equipment I can't PROVE I had, which was on the truck when I started insuring it 11 years ago. They want actual receipts! Who has that? I didn't get all those from the owner. But I do have some photos although they have said they aren't acceptable. I'm pretty sure they can be made to accept them as proof... "GO PHOTO YOUR CAR RIGHT NOW!! All 4 sides and inside!!" They told me the side shots (of running boards) weren't acceptable because it couldn't be proven it was MY truck. Honestly, with the same camper on it in all the photos?

They use "comps" not a formula like Kelley's. USAA used to have their own 'blue book' but no longer. I had a diesel long bed, their comps gas short beds. How do they determine the value of the lack of that equipment/trim? I cannot even find a diesel long bed for sale in US that has less than 100K miles without being 5yrs new. So they use comps that have 300K miles and comps that have 12K miles.

I thought I was insuring for REPLACEMENT. The equipment will not be replaced. I can't even find a truck to replace it with! There is no help with that. AND BE AWARE that if you have contents, especially in a big ole truck, that is a separate claim with a separate deductible. UGG. Contents go to home insurance, which my deductible was $5000 because I was thinking hmmm--fire? Flood? Hurricane? I did not even consider if my vehicle was STOLEN which I have no control over, that contents would be considered a HOME peril.

Just furious and with myself for not switching. A friend told me he became fed up with insurance about 10 years ago, put his property and cars on the minimum amount required by law and then an umbrella policy. Didn't even insure his paid for house... and he figures by now he's saved enough to buy 2 new cars with NO claim hassles. That is advice I'm taking. If everyone quit paying for insurance that actually only covers about 1/2 what they think they are paying for? I guess insurance companies wouldn't be houses in the tallest skyscrapers in every city. What a scam.

Prior to USAA I've used GEICO and Allstate, I'm going back. I thought USAA was a non-profit, actually they're to help the military... I find it is as ruthless as any other company and WORSE since you cannot talk to real people there. Since when do we pay for insurance for decades and then have to fight to get a claim paid? Will not go through this with USAA again.

I had backed out of my parking spot and shifted into drive when the USAA insured driver backed out and rear-ended me causing near $1k in damages to a car I had owned for 2-weeks (first brand new car in 16 years). USAA took my claim and then essentially disappeared. I was told they had accepted the estimate/liability, so I had the repairs done, only to find they were accepting 50/50 liability. According to my collision center, USAA had been "trying to call [me] for days," and needed some additional information; I had no missed calls on my work or cell phone and no voicemail messages.

I called USAA (this is 9 days later, at this point, which is how long it took for me to get in touch with them) and they reported "We still need to take your recorded statement," once they did that (again - 9 days later, when my memory was no longer fresh), they said it conflicted with that of the insured and they would need to get pictures of the insured's damage to determine final liability. A day later my collision center says they have spoken with USAA and USAA has accepted final liability of 50/50 - the collision center stressed to me that they asked several times to make sure it was actually FINALIZED. I call USAA and they report to me it is NOT FINALIZED and they are still waiting on pictures from the insured. Several days later, my Geico representative calls to tell me USAA has finalized at 50/50, so I call and ONCE AGAIN they tell me that the liability has NOT been finalized.

At this point, I still don't have my car, and it has been 2-weeks since the accident (going on 3). Every time I speak with USAA I get a different response. I still have NOT spoken with the actual claims adjuster (who never saw either vehicle in person) despite having left her multiple messages. My collision center has also left her multiple messages and been unable to reach her. I have yet to receive a SINGLE CALL from USAA in the last two weeks, despite their claims to the contrary. At this point, I'm pretty sure they are just hoping I'll go pay 100% so I can get my car back and then they can back out and say 50/50 or 0/100 liability, in which case I'm screwed and have already paid so have 0 leverage. This is the first accident I have personally been in, and it has taught me so many things, including never to trust USAA.

USAA Customer Service for Auto Insurance has gone down the drain! I recently moved in June and had my Post Office forward my mail to my new address. I never received either via Regular Mail nor Email that my Car Insurance Policy expired on 8/13! On 8/15 I called USAA and was informed my policy expired, I made payment and was told to check in the next 24-48 hours when my policy will be reissued. On 8/16 I called again and was told to wait another 24 hours.

On 8/17 spoke to rep Tracy and was informed I had to wait 10 days till the old policy clears!!! I asked to speak to Higher Level of Support/Manager and was asked if they can take my number and someone will call me back in 24 HOURS! I stated NO, I want to speak to a Manager and will wait on the line. Waited for what felt like an HOUR and finally got on the phone with a manager (Brad) who informed me what the other representatives failed to tell me to complete an Coverage Selection form required by my state. Once this form is completed they can reissue my insurance policy. I was then transferred back to rep Tracy who walked me thru completing the form I faxed and emailed the form back. I was also told by rep Tracy that no additional down payment is needed (later on this was a lie and had to pay another $200 to be my policy reinstated).

On 8/18 by rep Tracy contacted me to advise she made a mistake and there are (2) boxes that need to be checked off from the form. I completed this and faxed back and uploaded to USAA Website. On 8/22 rep Tracy call me to state they received my form, all is well, need to wait for the old policy to close to open/reissue my car insurance policy.

On 8/23 voicemail message from USAA I am missing the signature on the form. I called back and speak to rep Jerrad who was the best and professional and explained he sees the completed form with SIGNATURE and will reinstate insurance but will need to pay $200 for the new policy. At this point I paid the $200 to get my policy as I do not want to drive without insurance. The customer experience is the WORST and I would have rate less than 1 star if I had the option. They failed to properly inform the customer 1) Coverage form needs to be completed otherwise NO INSURANCE. 2) USAA Systems are not reflecting coverage form with signature. 3) Escalation process need major overhaul. 4) Misquoted by rep that I did not pay additional monies.

I've been w/ USAA for 28 years and they are getting the boot this week. It's actually a shame. This used to be a great company. In the last 10 years, the culture and the service have been destroyed. Nowadays it is almost impossible to get a human being on the phone and when you do, that person is a **. e.g. I had a broken windshield. USAA requires you to use Safelite. Safelite screws it up twice and USAA tells me that this "is not their problem".

E.g. a couple of years ago, my car is broken into and bunch of stuff was stolen. USAA's auto insurance policy doesn't cover personal property in the car because the state of Colorado's insurance laws don't require them to do this. So much for doing the right thing... They wanted me to file 2 separate claims with 2 separate deductibles. This is not the company it once was. Active duty guys. Don't buy the story. Go out on the open market and find a different company. These guys are scamming you. Fellow veterans, vote with your feet. Absent a chance in leadership and culture, this once great brand will continue to be subpar.

On 7/23/16 My car was damaged by an insured of USAA. It took several phone calls to get an adjuster to contact me about the repairs. They recommended a body shop as they would provide a lifetime warranty on the repairs if I used this shop. My car was returned to me on 8/9/ The paint did not match. The repair place tell me it is due to the difference in materials and the age of the car. The car is a 2014, so not that old. I took the car to another place to get another opinion. The color is at least 6 shades difference. I tried to call USAA 2 times and no callback. I want my car returned to the way it was just before the damage. I have not hear from USAA since the original adjuster contacted me on 7/25. So much for concern or customer service. I am a veteran but you can rest assured I will not change my insurance to USAA. This is not the kind of service they advertise.

I was hit by a teenage driver with 4 children in the car from the rear. After 1.5 weeks of my car in the auto repair shop the auto company called to give me a heads up that my vehicle will be declared totaled by USAA after they said it could be repair. Cost too high. It took USAA another 5 days to call me and notify me that they have declared my vehicle a total loss and I have 3 days to purchase another vehicle but it will take over a week to get me my money for the total payout of my vehicle. I need the money for my vehicle to purchase new one. After 3 days I will pay for the rental not USAA.

When I called to discuss this and to ask that I purchase $800 worth of tires that were 2 weeks old along with alignments they said "it does not matter. We will only give you $100 for the tires because they are in good condition", but did not hesitate to deduct $50 because the driver seat too dirty. When I called to complain and disagree they said it does not matter that I disagree and if I want the tires I could go get them. When was upset that it took over a week to get my money they said that I will have to fedex my title to them then track it, call them when it arrives and they will issue payment.

When I said "that was not acceptable" they said then I will have to drive about 100 mile roundtrip to their facility to give them the title and HUNG UP on me. A lot of work for someone not at fault and their insured person hit me. Luckily my family was not injured because it could have cost them A LOT more after I sue. If you want to be treated fairly DO NOT get USAA Insurance.

I have been with USAA for 10+ years. I never really used them to file a claim, until I had to and realized the insurance I pay for isn't worth it. They have nickel and dimed me for every penny along the way. Even though my car and home were both damaged by the same storm I had to pay both deductibles. Do you know that ANPAC insurance doesn't do that. I will have to come out of pocket for home repairs, and my car they gave me the lowest value they could possibly get away with. USAA has let me down as a customer and my advice, if you are paying monthly premiums with them, you are probably better putting that money elsewhere. They WON'T be there when it actually counts.

After been customer for 9 years I call USAA and I found out this crooked company have blame me for hitting a pothole and now shows in my driver license like was a car accident "waooo incredible". Now the other's insurance company are giving me a high quote for no reason and "can't change the issue for another year. After 2 years pass by with me not knowing the problem into today then I decide to shop around for another insurance company and the other company told me about it"... USAA THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! Customer service are rude and not professional! Now is my fault like a car accident for going over a pothole by DMV. WAOOO!

Worst customer service ever. Still waiting on my SSA and refund. You sent checks to an old address despite my calling several times then now can't wire transfer funds because you're waiting for the stop funds/check to clear. You are a multi-million dollar company, are you kidding me. After 37 years as a member you ran me off and now you are holding my funds. What more could anyone say except send my money.

I was in an accident 12/29/15. I broadsided (actually a little off broadside, as I saw her and attempted to miss hitting her). The other driver turned left in right in front of me, I was going 55 mph. Her fault, she admitted, police determined. She was the insured with USAA. They were fair with property damage, but I am bankrupt waiting on a fair settlement. I had concussion, chest wall contusion, back and neck sprain, broken nose, knocked my crown off. I was on a break from working as I had not had a vacation in 18 years. Was to start a new job in February grooming dogs. I can never do that again, as I cannot carry a gallon of milk without serious pain in chest after 7 months.

I freak out when driving and someone is turning. Now 7 mos later they want to settle with my medical to date (and my medical will be ongoing) and $1000. I am over $25k out in cash having to take out loans and use credit cards, as well as borrow from family to survive the last 7 months of my expenses, including my prescriptions, some of which I have done without due to the cost. I would not have been in this position had their client not turned straight across in front of me. She has had previous traffic violations including accidents and open container.

SOLD MY INFORMATION. I asked for a quote and used my cell. I have never done this and the next day I got 12 calls from people who can hook me up with auto insurance. I would give them Zero if I could.

I was in an auto accident. I was making a right hand turn onto a 3 lane northbound street. The other driver was executing a illegal u-turn and cut across 3 lanes of traffic and collided with my vehicle. Now the adjuster Bryan was very rude and without even gathering within 5 hours called and said that he determined it was my fault, and that he would call my insurance company without even having police reports or taking statements. Clearly it was USAA client's fault and the evidence was and is clear. Even the driver said she was at fault. Why is USAA too irresponsible to pay the $500.00 in damages. What gives?

Haven't had insurance for long with USAA and just got a letter with no explanation that my auto and renters insurance is being cancelled in 3 days with NO REFUND. My account was hacked into which apparently is something that happens with this company and now they want to cancel my policies without even an explanation of why or a refund of the money I paid for the tOmega they're choosing not to cover me. How am I supposed to find insurance within days when I've paid my policies in full within the first month of having it? Is this how they do their customers? Guess so since this isn't the first complaint against them. Feeling frustrated.

Beyond minor tap of bumper in private parking lot. Guy plus 4 witness said no damage. Didn't call police but USAA decide to pay man after he lied. Said everything is good. No damages. Usaa paid damages on a vehicle that didn't even have a scratch on it. 900.00 and they are going to make my insurance go up. My own insurance company didn't even stick up for me, they told me on the phone when I asked. How do you even know or assume it was my fault? There wasn't even a police report, USAA wasn't there. The other guy should have gotten failure to yield. How is it automatically my fault for pulling out parking spot. Either way guess what. No no no damage was done, not even scratch but they paid this guy anyway without even letting me know... Wow. I'm going to someone that will fight for me.

I was driving along. Got hit by a lady who swerved into my lane. Took 6 months to mitigate. USAA lied & told me I would get a percentage back when I should have been found not liable, but somehow I'm 25% liable & USAA gets to keep all the money & I literally was just driving. They do not have your best interest & they do not represent military as they propose they do. I have accident forgiveness too, which I should have never needed but guess what they are doing? Raising my rates! They are a scam. I was with Geico & should have stayed with them! Please don't be fooled at their phoney attempts to say they represent military families because that's a total lie!!!

We were in an accident last week where the woman who hit us had USAA insurance. The police didn't cite her, but it was written up with her "at fault". She readily admitted it was her fault. USAA denied our claim as "he said, she said" and said that since the police didn't witness it, they were denying it. If that's the way they do business, you can bet I will never recommend them to anyone.

As a longtime (over 15 years) customer of USAA for a multitude of their product offerings, including Investment services, banking, credit cards and homeowner and auto insurance, I am qualified to comment about their flawed corporate culture and poor customer service all the way up to the Office of the President. Anyone who watches television must be familiar with USAA's commercial which runs incessantly (at least where I live in Los Angeles) propounding the message "We know what it means to serve." Unfortunately, my years of experience with USAA has shown that USAA does not know what it means to serve their customers/members.

When I challenged a representative in their insurance department that I had numerous experiences where their employees demonstrated that "they do not know what it means to serve" his priceless response was that he had served two tours of duty in the armed services and then hung up on me. Clearly, he was not familiar with USAAs commercial or their corporate slogan. I called the Office of the President to bring attention to the lack of common sense exhibited by their employee. They assured me that they would listen to the recorded call. While they agreed with my interpretation of their slogan's intended meaning that "USAA knows what it means to serve their members" and not only that "USAA knows what it means to serve in the military" they were unwilling to call out their employee for his rude and irrational limited misinterpretation of their slogan and his abrupt termination of my call. I only wish this was an isolated incidence, but it is not.

I have had misinformation and poor service from people in their claims department, credit card fraud department and banking, including by employees with the title of Director. To me it is more important to measure a company by how their respond to legitimate factual complaints about mistakes and errors in judgment of their employees and what they to mitigate or correct the error than that they made the mistake in the first place. But either measure, number of employee mistakes or actions of management to mitigate or correct the mistake, USAA has repeatedly failed with me and thousands of others who voice their issues on a variety of complaint blogs. Just Google “USAA complaints” and see for yourself.

In January of this year my daughter and another gentleman was rear-ended by one of USAA insured drivers. Since January we have been trying to get settlement on the car damage and my daughter's medical claim. Our USAA claim representative is Elizabeth who according to her she knows more about the laws in the state of Missouri than any other person, including myself who just so happens to be a law student.

So Elizabeth informs me that I do not have the right to repair the car at a repair facility of my choice, and that USAA has some right to refuse to pay on the claim. Long story short I had it repaired at a shop I trusted instead of a shop that would put second hand parts on the car. As of Today USAA claims that they are finally going to get what they need from their shop that did an appraisal so that the claim can be paid out tomorrow. We will see how this works out, if it does not come out favorably I will just file in court and deal with their attorneys. At least they will know what the laws are in the state of Missouri.

Now to the Personal Injury side of things. Elizabeth again seems to know more about how things happen in injury claims than I do. According to USAA guidelines they will not pay ongoing medical treatment for injured parties in an accident. The parties are required to pay for all of their treatment themselves and in addition USAA will not settle on a claim until all of the injured treatment is concluded. So in their system an injured person who cannot afford medical treatment to get better will not ever reach the conclusion of treatment and get better or back to their original condition.

When I told her I should just file in court she stated "All you are going to do is give away 40% of your claim and get less" than dealing directly with her. She really needs to go back to customer service school and learn that if she wants to save the company money on claims where the in direct neglect per se, she needs to be nice to the person who is on the other end of the line.

USAA will deceive and play games to force you to pay higher premiums. Our tort option was changed without our knowledge or consent, and we were told that the rate on our 2010 Honda Civic was being raised due to, wait for it... wait for it... PARTS UNAVAILABILITY. That's right folks. Apparently USAA feels that it would be difficult to locate parts for a 2010 Honda Civic. It wouldn't be funny if it weren't true. I am a veteran and an insurance professional, and will never use or recommend USAA to anyone, ever. USAA is the very definition of a bad faith insurer. We have opened a complaint with our state's insurance commission and are switching our coverage to a more honest carrier.

Don't buy the myth that USAA has superior customer service. I've been with USAA for >20 years, and my frustrations have steadily grown for years. I'm finally severing ties... too many ridiculously long calls with customer service, routing and rerouting me to other departments, all unable to answer simple questions; repeating myself way too many times to rep after rep -- I've seriously never seen anything like it. I can get insurance cheaper elsewhere (two cars and two homes), comparable (or better) credit card coverage elsewhere, and much better online bill pay... for the life of me I can't explain why I didn't leave 10 years ago. I always rationalized slightly higher rates with the myth that their customer service was just better than the competition... well that hasn't been the case for years now.

Move over cable TV and phone companies, there is a new bad-actor in town. USAA customer (dis) service. I have been an USAA "victim" for about 3 years now and I must say that this company puts the UCK in SUCK! Every, (and I mean every) transaction with USAA customer service is a major debacle. I really cannot think of a time that I had a pleasant experience. The representatives are rude and the rules they enforce are laughable. e.g. trying to pay the auto insurance premium on a car that it is my name that my daughter drives so the policy is in her name (their rule, not mine). EVERY six months I have to fight, kick, snort and plead to pay this premium for my starving student daughter. It should not ought to be this way.

The horrible customer service perpetrated by USAA is just not worth the savings! Time for me to go car insurance shopping for my three cars. Yep, did I mention my and my sons car as well? Congratulations Takia and Princess (couldn't make those names up if I tried!) You have served USAA well in their "lose one customer at a time" business model!

In December of 2015 I contacted USAA to purchase liability insurance so that I could go obtain my Drivers License (I live in the state of North Carolina where you can't get your license without being insured). They were the only company I contacted who could offer a "non-owners" policy in the state of NC. In March of 2016 I acquired my vehicle & went to obtain my license. As soon as I did that I called USAA to get full insurance on my car. They issued me what they told me was the correct full coverage policy on a car that I pay a monthly amount on a loan for. And that the amount I owed on the non-owners policy would roll over into the new policy amount which by law you HAVE to have full coverage on a car you have under a bank and are still make the monthly payments on. How they even were able to issue a liability policy on a car that is still owned by the bank I have no idea.

Fast forward to today June 29th 2016. I call to have an auto payment set up & they tell me that I owe them 600 something dollars on the next billing cycle. I freak and ask why they say because in May the DMV notified them that I had acquired my license and therefore WITHOUT MY CONSENT they changed my auto policy to the "correct" fully coverage one, which I thought I already had, which bumped my payments up from $153 a month to over $500. When I asked why I had not been notified immediately they say "well, we sent you a notice in the mail". So let me get this straight. I tell them "You issue me the wrong policy to begin with and make changes to my account without my consent?"

The person on the other end just replies with "yes, I can't tell you why because I don't know myself" I've talked to two people who refuse to put me on the phone with a manager & CLAIM they can't see who issued me the policy when I KNOW their systems logs every person who's made changes to the account. So I'm stuck either paying $600 dollars or have my insurance suspended and have to shop elsewhere. USAA is a scam. Their employees are undertrained and will do whatever to make a buck. Beyond ridiculous.

Lucky for me, for the next ten years, I will let my opinion be known to the younger generation of military about USAA. After being with the company for about ten years, it will be coming to an end. The Customer service reps will "" information or just flat out tell you the wrong thing. When you talk to the next person to update your information, they tell you all sorts of new rules even different ones from the time of your original date of change (previous action request not explained or not properly written in their documentation). They have lost records. Have processed a claim against an item that wasn't stolen. Banned me from making transfers for the last 7 years due to their own issue with not contacting the other bank that had my name on the account. Not refunding items for coverage that would not have been covered due to their mislabeling of my items. What a despicable company preying on military members.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
  • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
  • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
  • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
  • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
  • Best for Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance