Find the Best Match

FIND MY MATCH
USAA Auto Insurance
2.45/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

1531 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was rear ended by a USAA carrier. At the time no injuries and just wanted car fixed. I didn't get a lawyer which was a huge mistake!! USAA dragged their feet for weeks just to get a statement from their own carrier! Finally I got adjuster to quote the car and still waited weeks to get approved. Then once approved the body shop was delayed and USAA terminates my rental before car is finished!!! Not only did they terminate it but they call me on the 21st and say it was terminated on the 19th. What kind of nonsense is that? Refuses to deal with body shop and says it's not their problem it's my problem and that I should argue it with body shop. Take my word for it, if you are ever involved as a client or a victim of a USAA member, GET A LAWYER!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I know most people complain about insurance as oppose to praise because they are usually going through some sort of tragedy. Every experience, every phone call and transaction with USAA has been great. From getting help on policy changes to taking care of accidents when they occur, USAA has responded quickly and efficiently. Talking on the phone with anyone there is like talking to a favorite aunt or uncle. They must train them in "caring" because that's how you feel when you get off the phone.

When I crashed my car, I was picked up by a shuttle from the car repair place. During a conversation with the driver, he said that USAA is the absolute best to work with, hands down. That they never try to negotiate and always pay quickly. As the consumer, we don't often think about the repairer's side. The driver also happened to be a regional manager who just happened to be helping out the normal driver. I highly recommend them. And please, they do have policies that are set in place to protect us, but there also are standard policies they have to function by (all insurances do) so easy on the negativity folks!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

USAA is full of**! They canceled my insurance policy because they didn't agree with my account of what happened. I was completely honest with them to the best of my knowledge and they canceled me. Screw USAA! And they took forever to pay out on a measly 1500.00 claim!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

If anyone ever gets into a car accident with a USAA member be prepared to get beat. Me, my husband and our son was in a car accident in April. The person who rear ended us which is a USAA client was at fault. We got beat all the way round. They didn't want to pay for our vehicle. They were very rude to us and had us to pay our doctor bills out of our settlement. I sent them a bill about my car repair only to be told their mechanics said my car damages was not their client fault. If you are ever involved in a car accident with a USAA client just take into consideration they are going to protect their clients by ANY MEANS NECESSARY and basically the hell with anybody else. I hope if anybody reading this be prepared to be not treated fairly ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

USAA is awesome. They are quick and efficient and we’ve had some unfortunate events and they always come through with everything. Customer service is always awesome and friendly and they always make you feel like they really do care. They will take time and listen and answer any questions that may come about. Thank you for everything!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We were with USAA for years until we decided to get a quote from somebody else. Everybody we got a quote from was substantially cheaper. We ended up with Progressive and saved $200 a month ($1,200 per 6 month). Yea, $200 a fricking month AND we got way more coverage. We tried to talk to USAA but they said there was nothing they could do and told us "you'll be back"...well, bye Felicia. We are going to Progressive.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

After 15 years of having our auto policy with USAA I decided to get a quote from another company to see if there was any difference. The policy they quoted me, apples to apples, was half of the amount I was paying. USAA has been consistently going up each year. I called and spoke with a representative to see why there was a difference, she stated because I was living in Florida and they could not lower my policy price.

In the process of looking at other options I received an email my payment was due. I went on to pay half of it and was paying the other half at the due date. I guess paying the one half caused me to forget about the other half. Today as I went to pay my CC bill online, I remembered I had to pay the other half and noticed my policy was gone. When I contacted them, they stated it was canceled 11 days ago with no notification at all. When I looked through my emails, the last one I received was the payment due. When I asked the representative, they stated the letter doesn't go out until after the 10 day grace period in which I can reinstate it.

When I asked about reinstating it, I was told no I couldn't. I had to start another policy. I then had to pay that policy in full for the full 6 months and guess what, it went up. Surprise! I finally asked if this would affect me getting a policy with another company since there was a lapse in my policy and yes it will. Wow USAA you have figured out how to stick it to everyone, and you are suppose to be helping our veterans...

Please take my advise and run to a different insurance company, I promise after 15 years I will be and even with a penalty it will be worth it. I have never had this happen in all of the years I have had car insurance. I feel a reputable company would have notified you before canceling your car insurance. AT the end I told the rep I was going to look for something else, he said "I can't blame you" even their employees realize the issues. I would not want his job.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We now have a 16 year old driver in our home and when we added him to our policy it went up 3X our normal payment. After researching other insurance companies I found our payment should be no more than $430 a month yet USAA was charging my $915 a month! After speaking with customer service they told me that they do not price match other companies and that I should shop around. I am in disbelief as many others with teen drivers said their premium went up but surely not 3X. We have been a USAA customer for 17 years but they no longer have us.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We were lied to when we told the representative that we wanted the same coverage that we had with State Farm, and went over each item to which he agreed. Now approximately 5 months later with USAA we learned that they will not cover the $250 deductible for damage caused by a hit and run. Our car was parked and we weren't in the car at the time, as well as no cameras in the parking lot. Now, State Farm would have covered this, but USAA said no! This is the way it is in the State of Florida. USAA also said that if our windshield was damaged while driving by a rock that would have come from another vehicle, we would still have to pay for the deductible.

After sharing this scenario with State Farm we were told that they would cover the broken windshield as it would not have been our fault. I wish I would have found all the complaints before changing to USAA, but I was feeling patriotic to my demise. After serving in the Military as a Sergeant in the Marine Corps during Vietnam, and then 42 years in law enforcement, I expected more, but it appears that USAA isn't the establishment that they portray to be. PLEASE READ ALL THE COMPLAINTS BEFORE GOING FORWARD. I will share this with everyone I know and I will them to share with everyone they know. This is so sad that after all the promises, and lies, given to our MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN THAT THEY SHOULD BE TREATED WITH SUCH A LACK OF RESPECT AND dishonesty, shame on USAA... You need to re-think about your unfair practices.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Seems like within one year my insurance rate has increased due to the amount of vehicles that are now being driven within the state of GA. An entire $30. I'm tired of my rates going up. I thought the older you get the cheaper your payments. SMH. USAA is rip to all military and retirees.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I was hit while sitting at a stop light. I wish I would have read these reviews earlier. Don’t use them and if a USAA driver hits you get an attorney immediately!!! I didn’t and am paying big time!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My car was in an accident on July 8, with a USAA insured driver. The driver hit me from behind on the highway when he was distracted by his child in the backseat. My car was deemed a total loss. After we come to an agreement for the settlement amount, (they low balled me on a car that I have maintained impeccably and would not have needed to replace), I send in my signed title as requested.

It is now Aug 31, and I have yet to receive the money. They are no longer returning my calls because they say that they actually no longer have the money for my settlement. They said they had to pay storage fees, and towing that is coming out of MY settlement. Wait what??? I was not at fault. They have had my title for almost a month and have basically stolen my car. Wow! I will be contacting an attorney at this point because obviously they cannot be responsible and pay me for my settlement. I am not able to purchase another car and am still carless until I need the amount. Very disappointed and would not recommend using.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I was injured in training and broke my hip. My discharge is general under honorable because I was still in training, rather than a regular honorable discharge. USAA will not allow me to have their insurance even though I have a service-connected disability because of my discharge type. So, even though they claim to honor veterans they only honor veterans who were in the military long enough to have a different type of discharge, as if it was my fault I broke my hip in training! A veteran is a veteran, but not according to USAA. I have civil service preference and a disability rating. The federal government acknowledges my veteran's status but not USAA.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My elderly mother & her late husband had USAA for both their vehicles. They stacked their Uninsured Motorist coverage so the limits of both cars could be combined on one vehicle if needed, an additional premium. In 2016, her husband passed & she sold his car to pay medical bills. She had USAA remove the vehicle, but they didn't explain that she should reduce the stacked UM to unstacked UM, since there wasn't another vehicle to stack with, and she should keep her money.

Two years later, I reviewed her policy (I'm an independent agent) and found she'd been charged extra premium for stacked UM for 2 years with only 1 vehicle. I called USAA and asked them to fix it; I signed the rejection form. I asked them to credit her the $5 monthly extra x 24 months; the 1st rep, Marcie, thought that was appropriate. I called to follow up, never got her again. Agent Alisia told me a credit was issued. I inquired further, then she admitted they weren't going to credit anything, and the "credit" wasn't a credit at all, it was a correction to the quote for the new Aug 2018 policy before the policy became effective. So all they did was change the quote to unstacked UM coverage before over-charging again AND TRIED TO TELL ME IT WAS A CREDIT.

Her supervisor, Damaso, said too bad she called it a credit when it wasn't. He also said they won't fix it, my mother should have caught it while grieving the loss of her husband, because USAA POLICY PROHIBITS THEIR AGENTS FROM ADVISING CLIENTS ABOUT THE RIGHT THING TO DO, they only give them all available options and expect a senior citizen widow to know. He said that is USAA policy because they need to reduce their liability if an agent advises incorrectly. I advised as an agent, it absolutely is my job to advise clients about coverage based on their needs. If they're that scared of the quality of their agents & knowledge, what does that say of their training and standards?

Annie **, from the CEO's office, called and said they won't credit it, even as a customer satisfaction credit for years of premium payments WITH NO CLAIMS. She said they'll keep the money because it's policy not to re-rate if the client didn't do the right thing. So a supervisor told me USAA's policy is not to advise clients of what's right, and the CEO's office said it's their policy to keep money if the client didn't do what's right (after specifically not being told what is right, per policy). So if your elderly mother doesn't tell her USAA agent how to do their job, they're happy to keep her money. They shouldn't piggyback on a niche market of veterans & service members under the guise of help, they should be exposed for their policy of not advising, and keeping the rewards of client ignorance.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My family has been USAA members for 16 years. Over the last 16 years our experience with USAA has be wonderful, until recently. On July 28th our son was involved in a wreck. USAA outsourced to another company to have the estimate done. It took until August 13th for USAA to deem the car a total loss. On August 15th the Power of Attorneys were sent to us overnight but they were sent with no information on them. We followed the directions that stated that we were to only fill out the claim number and sign our names exactly how it read on the title, we did this and sent it back to USAA the same day we received it. On August 21st I contacted USAA to see where they were in the process of issuing payment for the vehicle, but was informed that the Power of Attorneys were no good because the vehicle information was not on them so USAA sent new Power of Attorneys out for us to sign again.

I follow up with USAA today to see where they are at with issuing payment and I am informed that once again the Power of Attorney forms were wrong and now they need to be "State" specific and they would once again sent out new Power of Attorneys and once again informed that once these are processed payment will be issued to us. It has now been a month since the car was wrecked. USAA is not the same company it used to be. It used to be nice to know that your insurance company had your back, but now the level of incompetence in their Total Loss department is mind boggling. If you are looking for USAA to be your insurance company, I would look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I typically do not complain but I want to express my frustration in switching my auto policy to USAA and warn others of their customer service. I was given my 6 month premium and agreed to the amount. I was asked if I would like to put down a deposit of said monthly amount which I agreed to do. I was also advised to fill out a form that was needed for my policy. I called back later that evening and had a representative guide me through the website to electronically sign a form I was told was needed to assure there was not an issue. I did so while on the phone and was told nothing else was needed. 3 weeks later I checked my policy only to find that my policy had gone up. I called customer service to voice my concern and address the mistake. I was told that the wrong form was filled out and that the one needed could not be electronically signed.

I filled out that form and sent it back. I was told that my policy could not be adjusted from the original date and it was only effective from the date that they received it. I called back and spoke with another representative (4th) and was told that the calls would be listened to and I would get a called back, "not to worry it should be adjusted". Called back for the 5th time and was told that there are no notation of said conversation and that I was advised to call back not that I was supposed to receive a call. After roughly six hours of speaking with customer service I have still not been able to get my policy back to what I was originally quoted. I was not asking for anything other than what I signed up for and feel as though my integrity was question. My experience has been very disappointing and has me questioning why I switched auto insurance. The only integrity that should be questioned is USAA's customer service or lack thereof.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I do not understand why every time you call you have to repeat your previous issue(s) for calling in. Each time, representative states notes will be added to the account. It is as if they do not scroll down to read. And/or they have to read all chain of events which at times is not necessary. I had a representative quote and debit my acct for $220 as monthly premium amount. Should have been $227 debit and it caused, late fees and cancellation of insurance process, and not able to pay via USAA. I have been dealing with this issue for 2 weeks. These representatives are like they are still in training. I’m a 20 yr Air Force Vet and the service for Vets (as well as enlisted/spouses etc.) is not very good.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This company is terrible. After 11 years they "exercised their right" to discontinue my accounts. They claim there was too much suspicious activity because a check was mailed in and it wasn't signed. They restricted my accounts and froze everything. I didn't find this out until I went to pay my son's college tuition and couldn't. Then why I called I was told it was under review and call back in an hour. I did and they told me it could take days for the review.

How can anyone go days without their money? So I called back by the end of the day and was told all they could tell me was they are no longer allowing me to have membership and if I wanted to discuss it I needed to speak with the legal department by writing a letter. I was not told when my funds would be sent to me that were in my account. I had everything through USAA. Even accounts I opened for all my kids were frozen. They were not helpful and wouldn't even let me talk to anyone. After all these years that's how they treat a member. Terrible company and service. They do not care about their members or the families.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

During several conversations spanning a few years, other members explaining how USAA isn't the same company it used to be. I didn't think much of it, but I was shopping for insurance for my new motorhome and Progressive was suggested. When the conversation was done, the lady asked "is there anything else I can help you with today?". Hmmm, it came to me and I told her yes. Price my car insurance for my family, 3 cars, one 18 year old driver. Long story short, my premiums went down $800 annually for more coverages. The lady was shocked it was so much lower. So was I. I called USAA, irate that they have been overcharging me for years! I'd been a member for 34 years. Next I checked on my homes and they did have the better rates, but you have to watch them because they will try to raise your values/premiums annually. I've instructed them NOT to automatically raise my premiums without discussing it with me before doing so.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

USAA does not care about you or your military service. They just use that as a niche to get all military to go with them. Our van was stolen out of our driveway right outside of Fort Carson six months ago. The van was only four years old and we barely got anything for it. We were $3000 away from paying it off and all they gave us was $7000. That left us with $4000 after they paid off my old van. There’s no way to get a new vehicle with $4000 so we bought a used van from a private person for $2500. We ended up having to put $4000 of work into it.

That van was just totaled in the hail storm we just had. Even after rounding up all the receipts of the money we put into this van all they offered us was $2200. Every single vehicle in this city has been totaled. What are we supposed to do with $2200? The only thing you can even find in the marketplace for $2200 are vehicles with no transmission. What is a family of six supposed to do? My husband is military so never here so I’m all by myself with four kids that start school today and I have no vehicle because USAA gave us $2000 for a vehicle that we just spent the seven grand they gave us buy our brand new vehicle.

Do not go with them. They do not care. To make us round up all those receipts to prove that we just put brand new tires on it and just had all these things fixed. They didn’t help me at all with any of that. They won’t help me with the rental and now this. Needless to say we have switched insurance companies and we will never be going back to USAA. We are currently switching banks as well.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was involved in an accident on June 24, 2018. USAA’s insured was at fault per the police report and common sense. I was sitting at a stop sign and their driver turned in front of oncoming traffic, another vehicle hit me. The claims adjuster refuses to acknowledge the police report and had already made a judgement that they would not accept fault, despite the fact that their driver was ticketed with careless driving. My car was totaled, I have been paying the car rental for 53 days now. I have reported them to the NJ department of insurance, but believe a class action lawsuit for all the innocent parties that have been damaged by USAA is absolutely in order. They will do whatever they have to not to pay a claim. Disgusting.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Where do I begin? We've been with USAA for over 5 years now. At first things were fine: Great rates, great customer service. But over the last two years that has changed. To keep this short, we've had to call multiple times and have found that their customer service agents are very uninformed. On more than one occasion we were told one thing only for another to happen. Our rates have increased a lot over the last two years despite my husband and myself being accident and ticket free for 16 years. We are very dissatisfied and I would not recommend USAA to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

USAA has constantly raised my homeowner's over the years and we have used it once years ago. Last year during the hurricane my neighbor who has USAA made a couple of claims. His roof had not been repaired for at least 16 years and he filed a claim saying the hurricane caused it to leak. Then he submitted a claim for an above ground pool that did not exist and USAA paid it. This past renewal year they increased our insurance to the tune of almost 45.00 per month increasing my mortgage. Something needs to be done with these insurance companies who pay for crap that did not exist and then they raise rates on those who dont use it. They also settled a claim for a guy that my husband rear ended doing 10 mph. The guy had a prior injury from falling off a ladder in his kitchen. USAA settled with him for 50,000 for an injury not caused by my husband. They are idiots.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Been with company 2 year. Automatic draft for payments 2 yrs. strong. I call them to update bank info. Next thing I know I have no insurance. Mind you I later found out that I didn't call in enough time to catch the auto draft but the representative didn't mention it so I thought I was good. I had to pay 540 dollars because of their employee mistake. Then had to wait 2 weeks before they let me know I had insurance. Then everybody kept calling me saying the same thing. Blame me for not opening mail. I never open mail. I do things online. Never in 2 yrs have I opened mail.

My insurance card is emailed to me. They notify me through email that money will be taken but not one email about policy being canceled!!! Blame your employees who can inform the customers that your taken money from monthly, that if things aren't changed in time other arrangements need to be made! (I'm super pissed). I feel taken advantage of because I had to pay 540 with no coverage.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Never, ever, out of 26 years with USAA have I gone past 24 hours without resolutions. It has been 8 days and my car sits here! I am in a rural town and the nearest place to get the vehicle repaired is 120 miles. USAA is telling me there is a chop shop nearby for a 2017 Toyota with 4k miles on it and all the computer and electronic gadgets. Sent a guy out who took some pics and looking at his estimate it does not even mention the bent frame in the front or numerous wires hanging out. I am extremely disappointed that I have not had an accident in EIGHT years and PAY for the towing and insurance to be called and nickeled and dimed over a tow and where I can take my vehicle! DISGUSTING have this EXTREMELY POOR “customer service” experience! DISGUSTED! 26 year membership and here we are! DISGUSTING!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am the NOT AT FAULT PARTY called a few minutes ago to claim for property damage. Without being asked any question other than my name, I was told to take the car to the shop. The airbag was deployed for crying out loud! The REP Christine **, with her unpleasant tone didn't even try to help me. My insurance company had to find out that the policyholder has a limit of 5K on her policy for damages. Seems like I will not have any help from the insurance company who is responsible. If it means court let it be. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I joined USAA as a young Soldier in 1997 and have used them ever since. Despite a limited number of local branches, the customer service you receive over the phone is first rate. I have had a bank account, multiple homeowners policies, rental policies, and an asset management account with USAA and I have never been disappointing. They have covered three automobile accidents seamlessly and without penalty. They covered roof damage on my home quickly and without hassle. They have never kept me waiting on the line for more than a minute or two, and the folks I have dealt with have always been friendly and fair.

I recently retired from the US Army and became a contractor in Northern VA specializing in residential water loss restoration. As a contractor, I deal with insurance claims on a consistent basis. After dealing with multiple claims, with multiple insurance companies, I can definitely say that USAA takes care of their clients far above and beyond any provider out there. If you are eligible to join I would highly recommend USAA. They have fair prices and, more importantly, they have your back in a crisis.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

If you get into an accident with anyone that has USAA and they're at fault you need to hire a lawyer immediately and save yourself a massive headache. They are the biggest liars and disorganized idiots I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Someone covered with USAA rear ended our car and totaled it. From beginning to end we were lied to. Our first adjuster we were assigned to didn't even call us. Every attempt to contact him failed as he never responded to his voicemails. Three weeks go by and we get a new adjuster after I had to make almost 80 calls between my personal insurance, USAA, the repair shop, and USAA's third party adjuster company they went with.

USAA would tell me one thing and the rest of those involved would all tell me another thing. We finally got another adjuster who got things rolling again. I then got a call from the CEO's office saying that they would overnight the check to us and we would receive it in the next business day or two. I message the company via Facebook of all things and it was told to me that they had sent the check through regular 'ol USPS and that there was no tracking #. Here we are almost 6 weeks later and we finally got our check in the mail.

All the while they would extend our rental car by a week at the most. And every time it was extended our card was charged $50. A total of $150 was charged before we caught wind of it and froze the account. This whole process was to make us whole but we're still out money because of you shmucks. USAA lied about our repair shop not sending additional pictures, USAA lied about time frames, USAA lied about our rental car deposits, USAA lied about our check. Just do yourself a favor and hire a lawyer. We've learned our lesson.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I am revoking my policy. Customer service is a joke. When I called three days ahead because my bank would get it there on time because of the weekend. Called and I went through password, mayhem. Rep 1 and 2 didn't recognize vehicles I was driving, when my son was born, years of service. etc. If you one minute late with a payment they dock you and then you would have to go through that again... tried to log in to my account and it locked me out. 23 minutes to pay a bill. Note customer reps were just doing their job, but still USAA policies, treatment of customers and claimants. Potential customers may want to think about choosing USAA and how they ride on the back of the Military. You might save a couple dollars though, but they're not the only game in town. Try The General or Progressive...

Original review: July 27, 2018

Terrible service from USAA the past 2 years at least. Rates have been terrible, service worse. Too many complaints to name. Last one is from yesterday after I finally decided to leave them and first place I called gave me a significantly better rate than USAA so I am gone. After I let them know they sent a notice to my account saying they are making me be on pay in full plan due to late payments. Yes, I had a few over past year and that is it. Been a member over 20 years and they do this. Ha. Thanks, but I am leaving you first. Petty, ignorant, incompetent = USAA.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky