USAA Auto Insurance

USAA Auto Insurance

3.9/5 (2213 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• Several discounts
  • Charitable company
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Only available to military members
  • Limited local branches

Bottom Line

USAA provides coverage for military members and their families. It offers competitive rates, a variety of discounts and a convenient mobile app. You can check your eligibility online or request a free quote.

Top USAA Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA may not be the cheapest priced insurance, but you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a few extra dollars for the greatest customer service experience ever. They have the e...

Verified

USAA is hands down the best insurance provider. I have yet to have a bad customer service interaction. They have always come in clutch in an accident. Plus great discounts not onl...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is USAA car insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that services military servicemembers and their families. The company offers a variety of coverage options, competitive rates and discounts for qualifying policyholders. If you’re eligible, you can enroll or request a free quote online or over the phone. Its discounts include savings for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, upfront payments and more. USAA also offers banking, investment and retirement services for military members.

USAA auto coverage

USAA helps policyholders tailor their coverage to suit their needs. It offers liability, comprehensive, collision, personal injury and uninsured motorist coverage options for all policies. To get started, confirm your eligibility on USAA’s website and request a free quote. You can adjust your coverage levels to get a premium that matches your budget and find which discounts you might qualify for to save money.

Once your policy is active, you can submit claims online, over the phone or with the USAA mobile app. You can use the app to get insurance cards, request roadside assistance or view relevant information in the event of an accident. The app also offers other services, like car buying and selling, member-exclusive discounts and more.

USAA car insurance quotes and rates

You can get an idea of USAA’s car insurance rates by requesting a free quote. Its premiums typically cost between $600 and $1,500 per year, but pricing depends on your driving record, vehicle details and any available discounts. USAA has discounts for safe drivers, good students, new vehicles, families, stored vehicles, military installations, longtime members and more.

You can also save up to 10% by bundling your auto policy with other coverage. USAA offers flexible payment plan options with no upfront costs.

USAA car insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA car insurance?
USAA membership is available to active, retired or separated veterans who were honorably discharged. Servicemembers’ spouses, widows, widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren are also eligible.
How much is USAA auto insurance?
On average, USAA policyholders pay between $600 and $1,500 annually for their car insurance premiums. When calculating your premium, USAA factors in your age, driving history, vehicle details and more.
Does USAA use your credit score for car insurance?
No, USAA does not see or consider your credit score during the application process. Instead, the company looks at your insurance score, which is calculated based on your credit report.
Where is USAA available?
USAA is available nationwide. It has international insurance options for military members and their families stationed overseas.

Is USAA car insurance good?

USAA is highly rated by its member base of military servicemembers and their families around the world. The company offers competitive rates and fully customizable coverage with a wide variety of discount opportunities. However, USAA eligibility is limited to active, retired or honorably discharged military members, as well as their spouses and children.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 20, 2022

I had executed an Electronic Delivery Consent agreement which required USAA to deliver all notices electronically. Nonetheless, when they decided to cancel my coverage, they elected only to send a notice in the mail, which I never received. I ended having a car accident about two weeks after my insurance had lapsed and suffered about $25K of uninsured damages. Despite the fact that I have a copy of the Electronic Delivery Consent agreement and showed them the specific language (the requirement to deliver the notice electronically), they claimed it was against their policy to do so because New York State Law requires that a notice be sent via USPS. I am suing them!

Original review: April 25, 2022

Someone who had auto insurance through USAA totalled my car. USAA stole my car, saying they were taking it to a "local facility to be inspected" when instead they took it to an auction house outside of my county. Before towing the car, they said it was not totalled and was going to be looked at. And yet, hours before the tow truck came, I received notification by email that they had declared my car totalled. I called them before the tow truck came to ask about this email declaring my car totalled, and they told me that the email was a mistake, to disregard it, and that they were just taking it to be inspected. They then tried to fine me for not removing my license plate. They also tried to fine me for "storage" of my car at this auction place. They gave me an incredibly low offer for my car, so low that I am not able to buy a new car without taking out a loan.

The comparable cars they sent me weren't cars that are available to buy, and are from "historical records," which does not consider the current inflation of used cars. The comparable cars that I sent to them were all denied and I was not told the reason why, and was told that I couldn't talk to someone who would know why. After a month of trying to negotiate the settlement offer they raised the offer 150$ more. I repeat,150$ more. Every person I speak to on the phone from USAA promises that I will be getting a call about new offers and no one ever calls, when I finally call the person on the line never seems to know about these false promises for new offers. Every person I have spoken to from USAA has lied and placated me. They also promised me that they would be sending back belongings from my car that were accidentally left, and they never did. I went through a traumatic accident, I lost my beloved car (thank goodness I'm safe) and all they care about is stealing my money.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I was struck by another car in a parking lot. I filed, the other driver didn't. His company said he wasn't covered. USAA had my car repaired and took action against the other driver. Eventually the other company paid, I was absolved of all expense and fault. The adjuster could not have been more knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. A real pleasure to deal with. Thank you.

Original review: March 25, 2022

USAA SUCKS!! As 30 yr, $7,000/yr premium USAA auto insurance customers, we don’t feel at all represented by USAA in recent auto accident & it’s Not the first time. Thankfully there weren’t any real injuries, thus the reason Los Angeles police refused to respond after being called by both drivers. Unfortunately lone Hispanic driver in 16 yr old truck is claiming some injuries now and has lawyered up accordingly. Can’t imagine what would happen to us if there were any REAL injuries. USAA representation is lazy and lacking, unacceptable when we need them most.

So Disappointed that USAA doesn’t represent nor advocate for us, it’s 30 yr long-time customers! It’s clear that other driver has some liability, as he is illegally speeding in an active school zone, w/ kids, parents, school, school zone sign & school bus present in photos. 25 mph school zones exist for safety reasons when children are present. We know, we live across from a school, on hill with 2 schools!

USAA is bending over again to save themselves any trouble while its 30 yr customers pay almost $7,000 a yr in outrageous usaa car insurance premiums. Customer NO service at its finest. BTW- Col Gpa fought for our great country, flying Air Force fighter and cargo planes in VietNam, but USSA won't fight at all for his granddaughter who got worst of high-speed collision.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Well, it's been 6 weeks since the auto claim was filed with USAA.. And as of today, not one thing has been fixed on my car since USAA is still going back & forth with Lee's garage an authorized and very experienced MB auto shop. Other insurance companies send their adjuster/estimator right to the auto shop to evaluate the damage & estimate in person and approve THAT DAY... USAA has chosen to drag this out week after week negotiating very basic routine items on the estimate... This is beyond frustrating and you have turned a happy 23 yr USAA customer into one very disappointed and will never recommend USAA again...

Frustrated: 1 - USAA NEVER even looked at the car and came up with a $2,300 estimate based on my photos that I took & provided... for a head-on crash to a MB??? That estimate was a joke... 2 - USAA tried pawning off non-OEM parts - vs OEM MB parts.. 3 - USAA didn't approve the labor rate for MB painting. This body shop is MB authorized/certified and is used by the local MB dealership. 4 - USAA didn't approve the labor rate for the bodywork.

And finally, we are now on the 6th week and the car still has been worked on and USAA just drags these ridiculous negotiations on that could and have been done in 1 day demonstrated by other NJ insurance companies... Not to discuss details of the accident, but I was parked and the other driver hit me head-on at low speed. Driver fully admits fault and has told her insurance company. Yet I sit here 6 weeks since the accident with no car and still dealing with USAA daily. They have clearly taken a happy satisfied 23-year customer that forever has shared with friends, family, party guests, etc how wonderful USAA is - to a very upset, frustrated, and angry customer... I will continue to share my experience but not in a positive way.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I have been a member of USAA since 1973. They were once a good company which seemed to care about their members, but no longer. Now their only focus is how much money they can wring out of their members and how little they can pay on claims. Their latest trick seems to be to fail to send a bill and then charge late fees. I'm sure that adds up to a lot of money for the company. I strongly recommend that you look elsewhere for insurance and banking!

Original review: March 16, 2022

When I signed up about 1 yr ago my premium was set at $146 per month. My cars were 2018 & a 2019. Today I find out that my premium jumped to $157. (Great time for this with Biden's gas prices & high inflation!) So I called & they told me I lost a "New Car Discount"! Well those cars were not new last year & no one ever said my premium would jump less than a year later. I should have read reviews before I signed up! They say they're for Veterans but to me they like sticking it to Veterans!

Original review: March 4, 2022

I have zero faith or trust in USAA taking care of me as a customer. I was in an auto accident that was caused by the other party's drive shaft coming off on the highway in front of me. I took pictures of the party's truck along with a picture showing that his drive shaft was missing and had my passenger as a witness of what happened. USAA took this matter and did an arbitration with the other party's insurance. The outcome was that the other party was not at fault. I requested documentation regarding the arbitration and was told "The decision is considered work product and we are unable to release this documentation." How can I trust that USAA has my back if they will not release this info to me? VEHICLE CLAIM **

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

After being hit by a member of USAA insurance. My experience with them has been the worst!! Especially being a Vet (at one time last year I considered switching from State Farm to USAA). I'm glad I didn't. 1st the claim representative tried to tell me (my truck) was drivable (all the while I was informing them it wasn't) ... this was their way of trying not to cover a rental. Once they did finally approve the rental - they tried to put me in a compact (even after informing them I use my truck for work).

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Auto Insurance through USAA costs 4 times as much or more than for example AllState with the exact same coverages. USAA touts itself as catering to the Military Only but in actual fact they are RIPPING off military members. In actual fact USAA has ZERO offerings that are fair priced. Stay far away from this company.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information