Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
USAA Auto Insurance
1.64/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1724 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1991. I have had 3 auto claims in that time. Once some hit the side of my car while illegally passing, once an uninsured driver hit my parked car in a bank parking lot and lastly for hail damage. All three times the claim process was simple and smooth. I was concerned when they paid out the uninsured driver claim for repair before receiving any payment from him as I didn’t want my rates to go up but there was no deductible for me to pay and the rates stayed the same. I have also used the windshield repair claim twice without a problem or deductible.

I have had 6 teenagers on my policy and they have all been accident free (thankfully!) and while teenager rates are painful, they have always been competitive with other companies. Once they head to college and are 19 (due to Nebraska age of majority and my umbrella policy) they go to their own policy as it is cheaper for them when only insuring one vehicle parked at college instead of being covered on the 5-6 vehicles parked at the house. On another note I have homeowners with them as well, and they paid for repair of storm damage that was almost 20K without problem, allowed us to do some of the work ourselves which basically paid for the deductible. The check was written to the mortgage company who just had to do a brief inspection before releasing the funds to the contractor who did the majority of repairs.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My dealings with USAA have been quite decent over the last year that I have used them, as my folks have used them for many years. I've used their insurance and auto warranties so far and I've been happy as they've had great customer support in being helpful to better understand services and such. I also use their credit services and I've been please for the most part with it so far; there has been an issue I've recently with a merchant that sent a defective product and USAA has been very helpful in going through this ordeal to the best they can. The only other issue I can think of is that the login/verification can be difficult at times as each time you do it, they either want to call, text, or email you a verification code. This can be useful if you like good security, but it can also be seen as annoying. Overall I am quite please as being able to be a member of USAA and will continue to use them for my needs in the future!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I know most people complain about insurance as oppose to praise because they are usually going through some sort of tragedy. Every experience, every phone call and transaction with USAA has been great. From getting help on policy changes to taking care of accidents when they occur, USAA has responded quickly and efficiently. Talking on the phone with anyone there is like talking to a favorite aunt or uncle. They must train them in "caring" because that's how you feel when you get off the phone.

When I crashed my car, I was picked up by a shuttle from the car repair place. During a conversation with the driver, he said that USAA is the absolute best to work with, hands down. That they never try to negotiate and always pay quickly. As the consumer, we don't often think about the repairer's side. The driver also happened to be a regional manager who just happened to be helping out the normal driver. I highly recommend them. And please, they do have policies that are set in place to protect us, but there also are standard policies they have to function by (all insurances do) so easy on the negativity folks!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I joined USAA as a young Soldier in 1997 and have used them ever since. Despite a limited number of local branches, the customer service you receive over the phone is first rate. I have had a bank account, multiple homeowners policies, rental policies, and an asset management account with USAA and I have never been disappointing. They have covered three automobile accidents seamlessly and without penalty. They covered roof damage on my home quickly and without hassle. They have never kept me waiting on the line for more than a minute or two, and the folks I have dealt with have always been friendly and fair.

I recently retired from the US Army and became a contractor in Northern VA specializing in residential water loss restoration. As a contractor, I deal with insurance claims on a consistent basis. After dealing with multiple claims, with multiple insurance companies, I can definitely say that USAA takes care of their clients far above and beyond any provider out there. If you are eligible to join I would highly recommend USAA. They have fair prices and, more importantly, they have your back in a crisis.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My auto insurance is through USAA and it's great. I prefer them because they provide the lowest rates and best coverage than we did with any of their competitors. Our home insurance is also bundled with USAA's auto insurance for an even cheaper rate. I was quoted $500-$2000 more just for home insurance with any other company for the same policy that USAA offered.

Everything is done online with USAA and super easy to navigate. You can also call or email them if you prefer not to select your policy yourself online. It's easy to add, remove or change my policy at anytime. I've never felt like USAA has tried to upsell a policy I didn't need or take advantage of us. Any questions I had with selecting my policy was handled efficiently and promptly. And when we have to contact them about a change or a matter, it's always handled professionally and quickly. When we had to file a claim for a totaled car, USAA gave us more money than we were even expecting to get a new car. They are an amazing company to work with, not just for auto insurance, but for banking, home insurance and even your home mortgage. Great company for military families.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been with USAA for more than 10 years now. My vehicle was hit by another car while parked so obviously I Had no control of avoiding the incident but knowing full well I was not even at fault, still have to pay deductible and on top of that they won’t cover my rental. They only cover a portion! I have a SUV and I will be dropping it to the shop and will be there for about 3 days. I requested to have a rental that’s at least an SUV or something bigger than a compact car but USAA was quick to decline! For more than 10 years where has all my payments went? I’m basically paying them for nothing. In some areas they are okay but when it comes to this they are useless. The person on the phone did not even try to inquire if there is any way to solve my issue! Very disappointed.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was at a red light. Their client while working out of her car decided to jump lanes and hit me. I took my car for an estimate a week later waiting on a call from body shop which I didn't get. Got estimate - decided to have my fender replaced by my son. A week after receiving check I call back because I went on a trip and my tire went bad. I call them back - they take info down and were suppose to call me back 2 days. A week later I call back because no call made to me. They treated me like a criminal, like I was to blame, like I accusing me of hiding damage because I chose not to get a fender replaced by a body shop. Absolutely ridiculous.

I sent in paper work from where my car was at the dealership 3 weeks prior and the inspection showed my car tires fine. The second body shop said impact from hitting my wheel bent my brake bracket and caused the damage. Which again wasn't my fault. The only thing they did that granted good customer service was take 100 percent responsibility being Florida is a no fault state. Very dissatisfied. I am not a criminal and didn't appreciate being talked to like one as well as being accused of hiding damage because I didn't have car fixed at a body shop. So after further review they are sending a appraiser out from their department Monday 5-20-19 so I have to be avab for 3 more hours for that. They may be a good company to their clients but not to the victims that are hit. Mind you I didn't take the rental car which saved them money but they want to argue about the damage on a 2017 vehicle.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I've been a member with USAA for 5 years and had a credit card with them for 2 years. Customer service was good up until my wife and I had our vehicles involved in an accident with another USAA member. Our vehicles were both parked on the side of the street in our neighborhood. The driver was not paying attention (maybe focused on his phone) and ran into my wife's Acura TL head-on allowing it to roll back into my car. Nobody was in our vehicles since it was around 4:30am when the accident occurred.

USAA claimed that my wife's vehicle was a total loss after we had invested in brand new parts (front bumper, grille, engine, radiator) that all ended up being damaged at the time of the accident. They offered her only $1,500 cash to repair. Right now, my wife has no car to get to work and USAA did not want to compensate enough to fully repair her car or for a new car. We are still getting the run-around with USAA because of the customer service reps do not know how to take down proper notes and communicating it with other employees. We still don't know what we are to do with her car since she was only given $1,500 which is not enough to repair it or buy a new car. Thanks, USAA.

After this experience, I have transferred the credit line I had with USAA with Navy Federal who has been taking care of my finances and investments for over 20 years. I will not use any type of service with this institution and whoever is reading this please save your time and have another trusted bank or insurance company take care of your needs. I was considering USAA for auto insurance before this incident, but after this experience, I am glad to remain covered by Allstate.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I went with this credit card, because I retired and am traveling the US and felt since they are for veterans, I could trust them with fraud protection. Boy was I wrong. This is the worst credit card to have, if you are interested in being protect from fraudulent charges. They make no effort to investigate or resolve the issue. You are left on the hook to try to investigate it yourself and try to get it corrected. As soon as I can decide on a different credit card, I will be leaving them. If you don't have them, stay away. They do not help veterans at all.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've had no issues with the claims process and they incentivize me with multiple policy and driver discounts. Either I'm not made aware of every credit, or it's not given often, occasional credits are reflected on my account for not submitting claims. Great customer service as always.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've been a USAA customer for 22 years and made my first claim this year. Long story short, a car backed up into my parked vehicle and caused $1000 worth of damage. I opened a USAA claim and they drag the process out for 4 months. In the end, they said the other party changed their story and that I had the option to accept $500 immediately from State Farm, or take the case to arbitration to recover the full amount. I asked clearly if taking the case to arbitration had any risks of losing the $500 and they assured me that I would get at least 50% of the repair cost, but they were confident they could get the full amount from State Farm. They said they would keep me informed.

Well, USAA never contacted me after several months and when they finally responded to my e-mail, they said the arbitration ruling was that no one was at fault and I would have to cover the full repair cost. They said taking the case to arbitration carries the risk of losing the case, which is completely opposite of what they told me in our recorded conversations. I asked for a legal copy of the arbitration and they said they could not provide it for legal reasons, which I don't believe is true. Lack of communication and misinformation now forces me to look at other insurance companies, which is a shame since I was a loyal customer for over two decades. USAA are liars and cheaters, and recent Consumer Affairs prove it. What a scam of a company they have become.

Original review: May 13, 2019

They overcharged me for insurance for years, won't pay for a rock chip, and screwed me on bird damage to a Ford. They charged me Colorado rates when I was in Montana. The adjuster undervalued the damage by about $2000 in Colorado done by a bird, and now they use Safelite that never showed up on time. I went to a local glass company. They locked me out of my account so I can't even report the claim. You call and wait on hold for hours. They also only hire young kids so they age discriminate. Maryland Matt does not seem to care. He lets these insurance companies bill and do whatever they want.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I'm a veteran, served 8 years in the USMC. I after a few years of not making a claim I started having bad luck and got in to a few accidents and they decided to terminate me because of too many claims. 5 no fault, 1 fault and 1 vandalism claim. They closed my checking, saving account without notice, took my money from my accounts for months, canceled my credit cards, they treated me like a criminal. That's how they really treat veterans. They literally kicked me out like a dog. I was amazed by how I was treated. When I started shopping for insurance I was getting quotes for 4X more what I paid with them. Save your time and go with Geico or Progressive. And the limit for a rental is 30$, I couldn't even rent a smart car with that in NYC!

Original review: May 10, 2019

They want you on their website and phone app but both provide terrible log in experience. No bill reminders only bills past due, then when you attempt to log in to pay you can't get past all the site passwords, user ID's and passcodes and user identification where sooner or later one mistake and you failed. Request new passcodes, user ID's, passwords. They don't like my phone number or SS number either!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Worthless Claims Service and Adjusters. Leaving USAA after 41 years. Last year I had two Michigan potholes destroy 2 wheels, 3 tires and 1 rocker arm. My damage? Over $3800. USAA payout? $238. They split incidents and negated some parts.

Original review: May 8, 2019

You know why you never see ads for Corvettes? They sell. When you see a commercial, the company is trying to make up for a shortfall. Enter USAA. The run commercials trying to sell us on their support for Veterans. They have ripped me off on a tree falling on a fence for homeowners and now are giving me $81 for a $1,200 claim, (my dogs knocked my old Honda into my car). They are unresponsive, over-promise and under-deliver and are a disgrace to the USA in USAA. Stay away, you've been warned and carry on!

Original review: May 7, 2019

USAA was at one time the absolute pinnacle of customer service. That time has passed. For the past year USAA has removed the ability to email questions to customer service. The only remaining options are calling during business hours, (not really an option when you're stationed on the far side of the planet) or chatting with USAA's already obsolete version of an AI Chatbot. No live humans available to write to or to answer your question. Nothing is worse than a company claiming to be dedicated to serving the troops but that won't let those troops write to human beings. This is not the USAA I have relied on all these years. Ally Bank is a much better option at this point as far as an online bank that focuses on true customer service.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We first received an auto policy in Jan 2019 and everything seemed great. Taking the limited tort option required me to sign a release. After sending it back 2 times, they state they never received it. Also made a dedicated phone call to add roadside assistance and they ignored me completely, never added the auto club program. Of course I had 2 flat tires 2 weeks later and when I called they had no recollection and of course the phone was never recorded.

This company is very disorganized and 1 person to the next has no idea what is going on. A lot is desired of this company and I would not recommend you take insurance with USAA unless you write names, times and events to cover yourself like as I did not do. I have been with a dozen auto insurance companies in my lifetime and I have never had this great difficulty. I contacted the executive branch of USAA and all he could do was stumble around and seemed very vague and confused, thereby confusing me with his jargon. My recommendation is to stay far from USAA until they can manage to streamline their procedures.

Original review: May 7, 2019

USAA overcharges their consumers too much. Example, for house insurance, it was $2,000 for me and I got the same deal from All State for $600. Auto insurance? $800 when I got a $400 deal. Mortgage? 3.75% interest when I could have gotten 3.25% or less elsewhere. Cashback for credit cards? I get 2% from Citi or 5% from Discover. Savings Account? It was just a lousy 0.03% or something when I get 2.35% from PNC.

Membership cashback? USAA barely recorded any of my transactions and turned my dispute claim down for a Holiday Inn stay when I fully knew I went through USAA discount website. Their cashback rewards are laughable when compared to Ebates. I'm done with USAA for life because I know they are all about high profit margins, yet they have been sued and fined lately for poor consumer practices (You can Google all about it).

Original review: May 6, 2019

USAA denied a full coverage claim regarding a windshield replacement. I proved to them via their own documentation that I was fully covered and they refused to honor the claim without a reason. The claims department admitted over the phone they do not understand Effective and End policy dates. They said they have to follow what the "system" say. I escalated to a manger and they also said they do not understand policy dates. I've since canceled my auto policy and moved to State Farm with a much lower premium and more coverage. They also failed to cancel a property policy, because they "couldn't find it" and only saw a bill for renewal. This was more than confusing and they were not willing to explain what happened. I highly recommend avoiding USAA for any insurance needs.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Pray that you never get into an accident with someone who is covered under USAA. I was in an accident a week ago with one of their drivers and the experience since then has been AWFUL. The other driver that is insured with USAA received a ticket for being at fault for the accident and it also states that she was at fault in the police report AND she had a stop sign and pulled out into oncoming traffic, yet USAA is trying told hold me majority liable for the accident. So now this is going to go through arbitration which is going to take months.

So I have to come out of pocket to pay my deductible to fix my car and I have to pay for a rental car because THEIR driver didn't stay stopped at her stop sign like she is legally obliged to do. VERY VERY upset and will make sure everyone I know is aware of how how terrible USAA treats people. So I guess these days a police report and a citation makes no difference because their member can just lie on the statement and get away with not being at fault.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Hail damage from April 13 hail storm (tennis ball sized hail). So it takes 10 days for USAA to send a claims adjuster out to see my truck. The adjust looks at my truck on the day we have worst weather. And a week after that I receive an email from USAA that my payment was canceled, AND the damage from the hail was prior damage! Wow. What am I paying them for? If this doesn’t get fixed ASAP. After 10 years of being with USAA, I am choosing Geico.

Original review: April 29, 2019

In December I was hit by a USAA member (crossed three lanes of traffic and side swiped my car). Took them over a month to send me a letter (even though I made sure to trade all information at the scene including contact phone number) stating I hadn't contacted them and needed to do so in regards to the accident. After speaking with them and giving the information I was told that it shouldn't be an issue and they would work with my insurance in order to get everything taken care of since it was their driver at fault. Here it is over 5 months later and I get a letter from my insurance that they are still trying to get the compensation from them. Thankfully I used my insurance to get my car fixed or I would still be without one, at least now I am just out my deductible thanks to horrible insurance companies.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I've been a member since 1968 and have seen a steady increase in cost with no improvement in service. Through the years I've trusted USAA and been pleased with them until recently. I finally decided to get quotes from three other companies and found that USAA was more than double the cost of all of the others in spite of the member annual refund.

Original review: April 26, 2019

USAA is by far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work with. I was involved in an accident with a USAA policyholder and USAA said I (!!!) was at fault despite the police report with their policyholder admitting fault. USAA ignored all inquiries - phone calls, emails, faxes and even a handwritten letter. Ultimately had to file complaints with my state's Department of Business Regulations and the Better Business Bureau to even prompt any type of communication from USAA. Then USAA had the audacity to drag this through arbitration. Which was a total waste of time since the case was ruled against them. For anyone that has to deal with USAA from this side of things, be prepared for the long haul. Be persistent and use any resource that is available to you.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We have been with USAA for over 30 years and over the years the service seems to be on a major decline. I just found out that I am not covered when driving someone else's vehicle --- you have to file the claim with the insurance company of the owner even if YOU were driving the vehicle. This potentially drives THEIR rate up. They did say if there is a portion of the claim that the owner's insurance doesn't cover, they will pick up the remaining costs. Not a lot of comfort when you have to tell your friend, "yeah, I know your car was damaged while I was driving it, but you have to file a claim with YOUR insurance." I will definitely be insurance shopping in the next few days!

Original review: April 25, 2019

USAA has the worst customer service. My husband was hit by a USAA insured driver. The USAA driver admitted fault, and a ticket was issued to him. It has been nearly two months and we still haven't received payment. They have told so many lies, it is impossible to list them all. We have tried to contact them for weeks and they won't return a call. The last thing that happened is we sent the title to them Federal Express after having it notarized and they claim by email (since they won't talk on the phone) they haven't received it. After all their lies, I'm sure it is another one of their tactics to hold payment. Try not to ever get hit by someone who carries USAA insurance!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Don't trust USAA. They increase your rates every renewal period without cause. They have no honor and only pretend to care about hard-working families when all they really care about is making money. I hope someone comes along and burns this company down to the ground along with those unscrupulous employees who work there. I have been waiting for three weeks for a return call from Linda ** in the corporate office after leaving her three messages.

Original review: April 19, 2019

On April 3 I purchased a car insurance policy and subsequently found a cheaper quote under my finance with State Farm. Called and canceled same day. Was told refund would be done within 7/10 days. I have called 4 times with no result only to be told it will take some additional time due to billing. This is not ok. I want my money now.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been with USAA for over twenty years. I have had claims, no issues at all. I realize that insurance is not total replacement, of what I think the value is. I have had several employees that were wonderful and very few that weren't but is that not in every company we work for or in. I am USAA for life. I also realize that most of the negative comments are short of validity and broad in specific information. Unless you go to the upset new boyfriend in March that does not qualify. USAA may be a little higher in some states but they have less fine print or traps other have. You save money in the long run.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky