USAA Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was struck by a car while walking two years ago. USAA is my insurer and will reimburse medical payments that I paid out of pocket up to my policy limits within two years of my accident. The problem is they use another company, Auto Injury Solutions, that processes everything by computer and send repetitious requests to medical providers asking for the same medical information over and over again. Today I received a call from one of my providers telling me USAA is sending the requests for information they have now sent several times. They wanted to let me know in case USAA was claiming not to have the information. My next call was to my attorney's assistant who has been dealing with USAA on my behalf to ask for her assistance. That is when I learned about USAA's less than satisfactory performance in processing Medical payments for their insured. She said they were the worst company she had to work with.

Making multiple requests for records that have already been sent puts an enormous burden on a provider's staff and causes providers to be less inclined to accept accident victims as patients. USAA's service in general has declined over the last 10 years. I have auto, homeowners, and life insurance with them. My sense is their training program is sorely lacking and the quality of their personnel has declined. There was a time when I could call USAA and get the answer to my question in a single call. Not so anymore. I have been a member for over 40 years so it is not easy to make a decision to change insurance companies, but I believe the time has come. Think twice and check around before signing up with USAA.

I have been with USAA for nearly a decade and today was the last straw. I have purchased auto insurance with them for this amount of time and have been relatively pleased up until this past year. I called in today to figure out how to manually pay my bill versus have them auto-draft my account (which is what I have been doing for years). They informed me that there would be a $24. xx fee for me to make payments myself versus electing to use the auto-pay system. They then informed me that this is done to lower the "member's" premiums, even though my policy has went up the last 3 renewals even though I have not had any points added to my record???

They state they want access to your bank account to make these auto payments but if you read the terms of use, they give a generous share of access to USAA on your bank account which is unacceptable. They are able to hold funds and if funds are overdrawn then they will not immediately be replaced into your bank. After years of positive service, USAA has fell through to global business pressures and have turned into a for-profit-only company while lying through their teeth about how important the customer is. Within the week, I will no longer be a member at USAA and will pull all my accounts out.

We started doing business with USAA when I decided to purchase a home. We have a rental property, our home and two autos insured with USAA. To begin, they gave me a good price. We had previously been doing business with GEICO that hiked our rates up so high we could no longer afford to pay them. USAA knew upfront I had been involved in an accident. FIVE months into doing business with USAA, they hiked our premiums up TWO times. They now want us to pay around $380.00 every month for two autos that are not fancy in any way. To add insult to injury, they added another $35.00 onto our premium for "Accident Forgiveness".

Numerous attempts to communicate with USAA via phone have failed by way of them placing me on hold and then hanging up or transferred me a total of four times and each person I spoke with kept me on the phone for at least 20 minutes each. NIGHTMARE! The end result is that the company is dysfunctional, arrogant and apathetic. Sadly, this review is written with complete honestly.

My car was stolen while on vacation. USAA decided to investigate the theft of my car, they investigated for 3 weeks. When the investigation was over and I was cleared of the investigation they gave me the runaround about paying. My claim. They denied it after I was cleared and left to wait in Utah before I went back home to Florida. They didn't care about me or my car. This happen Jan 1 and it is Feb 4 and my car is sitting in the snow in Utah. My adjuster Jeff ** does return phone calls. You can only him by email. My Mercedes E 500 is under snow because they denied me. I'm getting a consumer lawyer who said he would definitely love to take my case after all the complaints he read on USAA. I'm a marine vet. And they are treating me like a criminal. If a lawyer reads this please contact me.

Ex-military, honorable discharge, and they won't insure me!?!? I was in the Navy for 6 years, got an honorable discharge, and in fact I used to have USAA insurance but they dropped me a year after I got out. They were AWESOME back then (25 years ago!) so I tried signing back up with them just for car insurance. I have never had an at-fault claim in my life and have a clean driving record. I also have a criminal conviction (that I really didn't deserve) and their Underwriting Dept. used that fact alone to deny signing me up as a new customer. I guess one bad decision outweighs 6 years of honorable military service.

After reading these glowing reviews I'm glad I'm not their customer. It seems their customer service has sadly gone down the toilet over the past 25 years. I have Ameriprise through Costco and they give me by far the best rates so I'm happy to have them, and they don't give a crap about my conviction that has nothing to do with driving anyway, nor did they even ask about criminal history. What does one have to do with the other? Avoid these **!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Thank God I don't have USAA but my dad does. Someone wrecked and totaled his truck a while back, and USAA was trying to put the truck off as a old beater work truck and lowballing the amount it was worth. This truck wasn't but 5 years old, near perfect shape, and always washed and waxed, no dents or problems. So after that headache, a few weeks ago I was driving my dad to hospital in car. At red light some lady rear-ended me. We swapped info and went on our way, I contacted insurance and they said the woman that hit me denied being in a accident, and haven't heard from USAA since then. It's been over a week and USAA seems like they don't care about their customers at all. I'm glad I have GEICO.

I had the worst experience this month with a USAA claims adjuster, **. This USAA claims office is located in a residence in Black Forest, Colorado on 10505 Thomas Road. This residential USAA office is being shared by Nizhoni Health Center. The entire staff, mostly family members, treat disabled customers with rude arrogance and a total disrespect of handicap persons requirements. On several occasions they asked people to leave. Horrible experience for anyone that enters this facility. No handicap restrooms or parking.

During my auto claim period I've experienced rude and disrespectful service on multiple accounts. I've had multiple situations where the employee would deny me my right to speak with a manager. Upon doing so I was hung up on, it took two weeks to get answers in regards to the supplement for my repairs. The associates seem to be unknowledgeable and constantly gave me the runaround. No one seems to be on the same page and I was told by Nathan **, that he can assure me USAA have done a good job at servicing me. I replied by saying "Speak for yourself unless you are also speaking for Peet **, one of the associates that refuse to transfer to a manager before hanging up on me."

I also had to pay out of pocket for a rental that ran me over $900 bucks. I've been lied to several time and in the 30 days that my claim was open I've only once spoke with my actual adjuster. The communication is pathetic and the customer service is worse. I thought USAA was the best but I guess I was wrong. I have many complaints. This is just one of them. My vehicle was wrecked in another state and I'm left with an out of pocket expense to ship it over two thousand miles.

My son was driving our truck when he was hit in the rear by a person covered by USAA. At first they tell you to go to your shop and get a quote then the problems start. They want you to have it done at one of their shops. They called my shop which was willing to work with them. They want you to use parts that are used which I did not have a problem as long as there was nothing wrong with them. So my vehicle is older and there are 5 different types of bumpers for my vehicle. When you order used parts you do not always get the right one, so finally they says to order the new part but now they will not pay for my rental car because it is taking too long to get the part in.

My body shop ordered 3 different bumpers for my truck. All were wrong because the junk yards do not keep all the specifics for the parts they stock. So now I need to pay for my own loaner car until the correct part comes in because they feel it is the body shop's fault that they do not have the correct parts, and it is my fault that I left it there when the part was wrong to begin with even though my truck need body work too and they had to straighten out my hitch because it was bent. It has been a nightmare. They do not call you back, they do not send you anything when asked.

I was involved in a accident on 1/27/17. I am terrified. Person ran the light and hit me. Who then tried to flee the scene. I call USAA inform them the following day as I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I have full coverage. My friend over ems talking about the lady who hit me and how her car insurance was fake... My 2007 F150 SuperCrew Cab 4 doors excellent condition, clean, not a scratch, 85000 miles that started and moved. After they tell me give the tow yard all my keys and that it would probably be totaled. "Hello. Oh but we're taking it our inspection center who happens to be a auction house..." I am worried, injured, concerned they will say "let's total it, auction it and get what we can and not pay for his loan." Anyone please. Have this happened to you? Please email me. I have been hurt badly. In so much pain not including my beautiful truck. By the way you treat your vets this way? Using tricks.

Customer services was excellent; identification of repair providers was very efficient; policy changes when moving to a different location was excellent. Outstanding customer services and responsiveness. Outstanding company for both home/auto insurance as well as providing financial services.

USAA Auto Insurance is in my book a SCAM. My son was involved in a minor fender bender. He exchanged insurance information with lady who had backed into him. After getting estimates for repairs USAA informed us they would not cover the cost because they could not get in contact with the lady they insure. How in the world would my son have gotten her insurance information if it was not given by her? The representative at Ext. ** was very rude and was of no help. At this point we are not sure how to resolve the issue.

Excellent customer service. USAA makes sure you are adequately insured and always attempts to make sure your premium is competitive. I would recommend this company over all others who are eligible for membership.

I was hit 1/3/17. The lady ran a stop sign and received the citation. I reported it within 2 hours after to USAA. I had a 2010 Civic with 80,000 miles and it had a rebuilt title. I am receiving $6400 back even though a rep told me if I found cars identical to mine for higher to send them and they'd reevaluate. So I went and got all the VIN numbers, they are running average of $8000 (that's with a rebuilt title and more miles!). They're also doing a poor job AT keeping after her insurance like they said they would because it seems like she's underinsured and they don't want to take liability for it being her fault. Also they are next to impossible to get a hold of. I had a assigned rep and did not hear from him until 1/20/17. We are still in the process of everything. They sent me a power of attorney with the wrong middle name and had to resend it (I had $1700 to pay off they took out of the 6400).

Not impressed at all and considering switching. I had Shelter in high school when totaling my car (my fault) and they gave me $2000 more than what I paid and paid within 3-4 days and covered all of our bills, no problem. When we got married my husband had USAA so decided to just jump on with him thinking they would be a good company. So now I'm outta car and when I go to buy one I'm going to be out $1500-2000 and that's buying an older vehicle with more miles. The stress of this is beyond what I ever could have imagined.

I have been with USAA for 20 years. I use them for banking, life insurance, car insurance and home insurance. I have always loved them and wouldn't have changed for anything. But I have notice a decline in service which I considered to be so significant that I sought to see if others had posted online complaints. Sure enough I easily found what I was looking for. I had/have an insurance claim for water damage caused by my toilet. I called Roto-Rooter to fix the problem and do the clean up, which took 3 days total and included removing sections of carpet and baseboards in the house.

More than 1 week later, I hadn't heard back from USAA despite several calls to them. No adjuster had ever been assigned. I finally stopped trying to reach out to a specific person at USAA and I was told that I could get my own contractor to do an itemized estimate and send it to them. (Huh!! What do I pay you for?) Without complaint I told her "thank you" and began the process for myself since I am needing to put my house on the market and time is truly of the essence. But I will admit that this is the first time in 20 years that I am rethinking my decision to continue using USAA. The accident was devastating to me. I was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do and they were no help. I consider that to be unacceptable service and when I move I will definitely be shopping for someone else for my insurance needs.

I pay my premium every 6 months but despite filing no claims, my premium increases every 6 months. I contacted USAA and it was explained to me that the reason was because every other N.Y. Car insurer also increases their rate which isn't a valid reason, especially with a clean driving record.

We were struck by a teenager who barely had his license. It was in a busy area and the young person said "sorry I was distracted thinking about all the things I had to do for the day and didn't look left or right. I take responsibility for the accident". We had a recorded statement at the scene from the young driver who was apologetic. We forwarded this information to USAA and they still denied the claim.

This company should be put out of business. They are incapable of all of the following: sending emails, giving a quote (and I'm talking not even close!), returning a call, reading. If you get into an accident, like I did, forget it you're screwed. If you get **, run. He's as bad as they get. They did nothing for me even with all the legal proof of zero fault. Thanks so much! Horrible. They have sent out a lapse of insurance on me twice while that never happened and they have no idea why! Stay away unless you love stress. USAA I hope you get yours.

Filing a claim has been painful! I would submit online and then they'd still call me to for the documents. I had a hard time reaching my claims agent even after leaving numerous messages. Speaking to another claims agent was never much better. It's been over 2 yrs since my accident and they're still refusing to pay their portion of my medical bills!! It USED to be an AWESOME company with their customers coming FIRST but now it's comparable to all the rest... money seems to be more important. Long standing top insurance company with the military now mediocre at it's best.

They sent a claims specialist and assessed the damage. USAA quickly paid for everything including my Physical Therapy. They are always very professional, helpful and ensures that my policy fits my needs. USAA is very good at asking how many miles you drive a year. I've been very happy with their interest in ensuring that I get all the possible discounts and benefits I qualify for by verifying where I live and work. I highly recommend USAA Insurance.

I have never been seen or dealt with anyone more rude and insensitive. Terrible from beginning to end. Bottom line was paid a third of what my car was worth. Not paid anything for property in it. Get a lawyer if someone hits you that is insured by USAA.

My dad has been a member of USAA for as long as I can remember, so when I bought my own car back in October, it was a no-brainer that I should go through them for my loan and my insurance. THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE. First, they kept the loan money for over three weeks after I signed for my car. It was already approved how long could that possibly take?! Not three weeks! Then, the insurance on the car magically goes up by almost $75 without my knowledge. When I called them about this, they said it was company policy on high-risk drivers. I asked them what made me a high-risk driver, and they said "You just are." And proceeded to hang up on me!

And lastly, I have automatic payments on my car payment. I prepaid for it two days before it was scheduled to be taken out of my account. And when they charged me twice for it I called them and asked why that was. I was then told that if I wanted to prepay for it, then it had to be at least five days before the scheduled payment. I was never informed of this before I agreed to any sort of loan. They say that as soon as that money shows on my loan payment, that they would refund it to me. They do, which is fine, but then today I check my bank account again and they took out the money for a third time!

I called them and asked why this happened again, and was informed that it was my fault and that they couldn't do anything about it. The man I was talking to not only blamed me, but also yelled at me, and hung up on me. I hope USAA is happy, because not only did they lose me as a customer, but also my father, mother, brother, sister, and anyone we talk to. Using this company was a big mistake.

On October 22, 2016 my dad passed away. On October 24th, my husband called USAA to cancel his auto coverage. He was instructed to fax a copy of the death certificate and a signed request to cancel coverage. He complied the same day. On January 18th, we received an automated collection call that said Dad's account was past due.

After several prompts, I was finally connected with Jazelle. I explained that Dad had died and we had canceled the coverage. She transferred me to Stephanie who said that they had received the death certificate on October 24th, but had not canceled the coverage because the executor of the estate had not requested it. I explained to Stephanie that the request to cancel was included with the death certificate and if they received one they received the other. I also tried to explain to this person that dead people don't need auto insurance. I further explained that we were not the debtors on the account and I demanded that no further collection calls be made to us.

Stephanie told me that the calls would continue until they received the written cancellation notice and a copy of the court doc naming my husband as executor. I told Stephanie we would fax again, but to cease and desist with the calls. We faxed in the documents for a second time, requested cancellation of the policy, and asked USAA to cease and desist the calls. Today, we received another automated collection call. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) gives us the right to stop USAA from contacting us in any way. They have violated the law and the terms now allow us to sue for monetary damages.

A USAA policyholder backed out of a stall at a local (San Antonio) Walmart in 2014. We did all of the paperwork. I talked to a USAA rep on the phone, etc. They had me go to Service King and get an estimate, which I did. Not too long after USAA says they're not going to pay the claim because their policyholder said I didn't stop, even though I stopped, and blew my horn at her TWICE. I have THE RIGHT OF WAY in a parking lot anyway. Fast forward to November 2016 I had to SUE USAA to get this claim of less than a $1000 ($978) settled. Now mind you this is one of the biggest insurers in the world, and we're quibbling about less than $1000. A court date was set, and they started calling me (Kasia **), and only want to offer me $600 measly dollars. She's telling me all of this crap about it being an old car (1984 Cutlass), the interior is in bad shape, blah, blah,blah.

Well you know what? ...The interior has NOTHING TO DO with your policyholder only looking one way, and backing into it. Then she goes on to tell me $600 is probably all the judge is going to award blah, blah, blah. Well USAA I want every penny owed to me, and I will not back down. All of this media BS about how great USAA is, is just that... CRAP. I still can't believe I have to go to court over $978. USAA is a petty, greedy, cheap fraud of a company. I'll see you in court USAA.

When the shop the referred was busy, long wait, they let us pick who we wanted to do repairs. It was no big deal to them. They are very easy to get along with. They go out of their way to make it easy for you. In 27 years they have never been a issue. They realize that you already have stress from whatever type of claim you file. They follow up without having to chase them down for answers or your check for repairs.

USAA is the best. We have used them for years & would not consider another insurance provider. The claims service is quick & convenient, they have local repair facilities which do excellent repair work. We have had no problems with repairs or service with USAA. We have had several comprehensive (none accident) claims processed with USAA. The work was done quickly, the info was filed online and via telephone and there have been no disputes whatsoever with USAA. They do what they say they will do without excuses or nasty little loophole surprises.

They are very fast and easy to work with. The response once you call is swift and they begin the claims process immediately. The claims representatives are easy to reach, caring and knowledgeable. This is the best company I have ever worked with. I have had just a few small claims, nothing major but each time I get the same fast response. Never had a problem at all.

I was in a car accident on 12/13/16. My car was struck by an individual who is insured by USAA. The driver left the scene of the accident after providing expired insurance information, prior to the arrival of the police. I contacted USAA on 12/13/16 after a representative from my car insurance company provider (GEICO) provided me the contact information of Cory ** (1-800-531- 8722, ext. **). I left a voice message for Mr. ** on 12/13. However, I was never contacted by Mr. **. It wasn't until December 27th that USAA towed my car away. This was arranged by a Field Adjuster of USAA named Tyler **. I informed Mr. ** that my check engine light was on ever since my car was involved in a collision on 12/13/16. Mr. ** then had my vehicle towed away because he felt that my engine could be in jeopardy because my car was hit in the rear bumper and the exhaust pipe was damaged.

Mr ** stated that my car would be diagnosed to determine the reason why the check engine light was on. Waymon ** of Auto Nation in Lithia Springs, GA was informed about the potential engine issues on December 27th. On 1/5/17, I picked up my car from Auto Nation only to find that some of the paint had been chipped off my car and the check engine light still on. I've repeatedly asked Mr. **, Chris ** (USAA Supervisor of Waymon **) and Tyler ** to have my car diagnosed as promised. Mr ** told me that I would have to pay for the diagnosis fee if the check engine light is on due to an issue unrelated to the collision.

My last phone conversation about this issue was on 1/12/16 with Mr. ** who stated that he would contact Mr. ** about his promise to have my car diagnosed at no charge to me. Mr. ** called my cell phone on this same day. However, I was extremely busy at work and for the sake of consistency, I asked that Mr. ** please update me via email. Mr. ** has not contacted me via email. He refuses to communicate with me as asked. In the meantime, it has been one month and three days since my car was rear-ended and pushed into another vehicle and the check engine light is still on. I am afraid that there are greater issues with my car and USAA will not be held accountable.

Filing a claim is easy. A phone call, got all of my questions answered. They got the tow truck and called to tell me when it would arrive. My truck was totaled and I had a check within three days. Rates did not go up. I get a rebate yearly. Customer service is the best. I've been with USAA since 1984. I have called other companies and they can't beat USAA. I have never had a problem with USAA. They are always available and I won't go with anybody else.

The USAA adjuster (who came to my house!) and the claim processor were helpful and efficient. The claim was paid with amazing speed. Service at its best. My years long experience with USAA has been consistently excellent. USAA is not the cheapest insurer available but, in my experience, their service is without equal.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.
  • On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.
  • Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.
  • All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.
  • No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.
  • Best for Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance