Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
USAA Auto Insurance
1.88/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

1680 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

USAA was created for Military Officers, kind of like a Credit Union for Officers. It was the best available at the time and with a low risk pool of members - Officers the rates were low. I joined USAA in 1979 as Officer Cadet. Had no claims car, home, rental NONE for approx 25 years and later after retirement bad weather hit our home almost back to back for 3-4 years. This is when we discovered how USAA had morphed from a officer only low risk Insurance provider to a giant anybody who can pay a premium join and get screwed company. Customer service is terrible, no follow up, claims criteria absurd, and the list goes on and on. Greed destroyed USAA, and there are now much better providers out there.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We had a automobile policy with 5 cars and 5 drivers (3 under 23), it was an expensive policy. Customer service is horrible. We have gone with a new company about $1200 less, better coverage and a umbrella policy. Couldn't be happier that we left!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

USAA has not paid for therapy from car accident April 2017. They are still requesting documentation. I pay timely, and automatically. I have a good accident record. I am an upstanding person and do not get unnecessary medical treatment! I am so disappointed in the treatment to me.

Original review: March 18, 2019

An excellent coverage, one doesn't have to deal with long waits or costly deductibles. The customer service representatives should improve their manners though, you're usually not in a desirable situation when you call and they should be prepared to handle a person in such state.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I opened an account with my girlfriend. Apparently her ex-husband from 1990ish had an account there, in the past. USAA opened the account but would not allow her to access the account until they verified her identity. This is what they did. They asked her all kinds of personal questions about herself and her exhusband's family. They were said the questions were public records, but they were demeaning and bullyish. I had to listen to her cry and her breathing was upset for hours.

The birthdate of her ex-sister-in-law has nothing to do with her. Many of the questions regarding her height and weight from her driver's license were perverted and stalker like. The account rep was rude while I opened the checking account and he wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to spend more than 5000/month out of this checking account. What? He also read me some disclosure that discussed the FDIC. That wording was very strange.

On another issue, I had a car loan with them and they would not apply my extra payments to principal. I did pay the loan off early, but the balance due was never correct. It was always stated higher than was true. On another issue, I had a credit card with them and their banker refused to cancel my credit card. When I logged in later, I saw the card, and I had to call and have it closed. There are court cases regarding similar issues. I will be reporting this to the BBB, too. It looks like they have a C rating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: March 17, 2019

USAA denied payment of road damage to 5th wheel camper after 3 months continued ins coverage. USAA ins agents said 5th wheel camper showed previous water damage and they would not honor ins claim, yet they insured 5th wheel camper sight unseen, no questions asked. USAA is a sorry excuse for a reliable ins company.

Original review: March 16, 2019

A USAA representative verbally approved a Ford Dealer in Austin to do auto repair and stated I would receive full payment. Subsequently USAA denied claim after the work was completed and refused to pay the approved claim of over $11,000. Attempts to have reviewed has failed. Legal action is starting. I have been a member for over 50 years and have find the company with its growth has lot sight of standing behind their mistakes.

Original review: March 15, 2019

In short, a claim was made against us and paid out of our policy without the USAA auditor ever informing us. We only found out when our renewal notice came and our premium was doubled. We had to reach out multiple times before getting a response and never received any resolution. We were never given the opportunity to contest the claim because it had been paid out so many months earlier that there was little that could be done. We suffered financially because of their incompetence.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was struck by another driver while exiting the highway. The driver accepted liability at the scene and we both gave a detailed police report. I reported the accident to USAA the following day providing all relevant details including the police report. In 5 days I received a valuation report summary, a settlement amount, and the promise of a deposit to my account once appropriate paperwork was signed and returned. It has now been over a month and USAA has not rendered payment or been able to explain the reason for the delay. I am pissed to say the absolute least and encourage others to share their stories as I believe that USAA is systematically and intentionally mishandling auto insurance claims for profit. To USAA, if you are reading; be ready for the lawsuits, because they are coming.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My husband and I have been loyal USAA customers for well over a decade. Although USAA is not the least expensive insurance, we maintained our homeowners and car insurance with USAA because of their focus on military personnel (my husband spent 12 years in the Navy) and customer service. Due to some financial considerations (we have two girls in college), we recently switched our insurance from USAA to State Farm. This was purely a financial decision. Ironically enough, on 3/4, a woman who is insured by USAA backed up into my car in a parking lot. It's been eight days and I have not heard anything from USAA. I've left 3 messages for the adjuster and have not received even one return phone call.

I guess this is what USAA looks like from the other side. We have been treated abysmally. We're driving around in a car that has a smashed headlight, and a left blinker that is non-functioning while we are desperately trying to get in touch with a company who we paid 75k+ to for over a decade plus. This experience has solidified that USAA has no respect for military personnel or former customer, unless they are being paid.

Original review: March 12, 2019

They should be banned from doing business in the insurance industry altogether. I have got nothing but a bunch of lies from them to where I am forced to file a complaint with state insurance commissioner. I advise everyone should do the same and try to take advantage of people who their clients caused damage to innocent people then rob them of fair settlement when their client is at fault just be as detailed as possible. I classify this company in the same class as child predators taking advantage of the innocent people because of their greed. If I was able to give them negative stars I would.

Original review: March 9, 2019

USAA was a great company for many years. Easy to talk to for getting insurance and easy to pay for the policy, however, filing a claim now is another story. When I filed my claim after receiving rear end collision caused by a Nascar wannabe driver who was speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, the first words I heard from USAA was, "It will cost you $500 before your car can be repaired." That is my collision deductible. When I called the recommended repair company, they said just wait until I pick up the car and pay it. I asked for a rental car but USAA said I would have to pay for it because the other car did not have enough insurance, and I did not have rental insurance. I have tried three times to talk to the adjuster and failed. I've been with USAA fifty four years and have had only four small claims. So let the buyer beware of USAA.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Coming from a long line of military, I’ve had USAA insurance for homes and cars my whole life and they truly were the best and cheapest for a long long time. In the last couple of years however, they have truly gone downhill. Their rates are outrageous and their customer service is very poor. It upsets me because I’ve always felt privileged to qualify for USAA and y husband, who has only seen the “new” USAA thinks I’m crazy for swearing they used to be good. We’ve had two bad experiences that despite my fierce military loyalty caused us to cancel our homeowners policy last year and I just recently I had to admit there is no good left in USAA and cancel my auto policy.

For homeowners insurance, within the last few years USAA started this new policy where they have an “independent” consultant come out and evaluate your home value and they base your insurance policy on that value. Shortly after we built our $500k house, the USAA consultant came and appraised our house at $1.2MM and adjusted our policy premium accordingly. After several months of huge payments deducted from our account, I contacted them, discovered we were over insured due to this appraisal and requested to only be insured for the cost of the house plus $100k for content which is way more than what it would cost to replace everything we own. They told me they could not reduce the coverage amount. I asked for a second appraisal because that one was crazy. They said they could only send the same person. I offered to provide lots of documentation.

In the end I was so frustrated I asked if my $500k house burns down tomorrow are you going to give me $1.2MM?? No answer. We changed insurance companies for homeowners and pay much less. I still had USAA car insurance until this week. I recently went online to get a copy of my proof of insurance card for my daughter and it said it wasn’t available. When I called USAA they told me my policy had been cancelled 6 weeks ago. I knew it had to be a mistake. Just 7 weeks earlier I had been on the phone with USAA because my auto draft payment had stopped working- apparently when I cancelled my homeowners I had a credit on my account which caused the draft not to be needed for several month so it automatically cancelled. Then when my credit was used up it didn’t kick back in.

At that time I spent an hour on the phone with the USAA agent getting the auto payment reinstated, making the next payment over the phone so I’d be covered and making some adjustments to the policy. And since that time USAA has been drafting my payment from my account every month and on Feb 8 I received new proof of insurance cards for the next 6 months...yet here I am on the phone and USAA is telling me my policy was cancelled on Jan 30. So why have you been drafting my payments in Feb and March? And why did you send me new proof of insurance cards on Feb 10th if I had no policy? And why didn’t you tell me my policy was going to be cancelled. I was livid because of the liability I had supposedly not having insurance for the last 6 weeks...even though they had taken payment and sent me proof of insurance.

After talking to the agent for a long time and then his supervisor for a long time. I got no explanation except that the policy had been cancelled and did I want a new quote. No acknowledgment that none of this made any sense, that I was paying for a policy that supposedly didn’t exist and had new “proof of insurance” cards issued a week AFTER my policy was supposedly cancelled for no reason. They said they would they would launch an investigation but that my best bet was just to get a new policy...and that the new policy would cost more since they had cancelled my last policy. Maddening!! Obviously I went with someone else.

It is sad because I swear 10 years ago they were great. Now, don’t waste your money.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have auto insurance through USAA and was in a car accident last year. We had a policy which included $5000 per person for accident related injuries. I was treated and they refused to pay the full bill because my provider treated me for 8 months. They claimed they were only responsible for covering 4 months of the payments. Why pay for a service that you cannot even use? What a joke! This company is crooked. We are cancelling our policy immediately. Medpay is the worst.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have been with USAA for a little over 3 years including Auto, VPP and Renter's Insurance and in all this time I have never made a claim. I recently shifted from being active duty to the civilian world so my bi-monthly consistent payments have shifted from being just that (consistent) to the civilian world's. I recently decided to change my date online to a later date in the month, I made this payment with sufficient time and what should have been acknowledge by glitch in the system was disregarded.

The result of this adjustment resulted in making two $300 payments in one month. I spoke to different employees on different occasions and they all agreed that this did, in fact, seem like a glitch in the system but that they would not be able to do anything for me and that my schedule payment for March was due as scheduled. Another employee informed me that USAA members are actually behind in payments and that because USAA allows members to stick to a 6 month plan they are actually just being afforded this convenience by USAA, when I asked if I they could adjust the date in order to have "that afforded convenience" they mentioned that they would not be able to adjust anything since the system is not actually wrong.

The worst part of this process was that I continuously asked for a Supervisor and I was first told that a supervisor was not on shift, on another occasion that a supervisor was not available and lastly (on my 5th call) I was told a supervisor was always there and that he has been the supervisor directing all the actions of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th calls. He refused to get on the line and instead opting to tell the 5th call employee that he did not know what I would think would result differently from my conversation with him since he was the one to direct each and every one of the employees to give me this information. This supervisor was aware of each one of my phones calls and refused to deescalate the situation.

All in all this left me extremely unsatisfied because not only is USAA not willing to uphold customer satisfaction they are not willing to uphold any integrity in their word. Essentially there is no accountability as far as making sure the customer is getting correct information. Even the most unsophisticated databases in the world can process a refund but they refuse to allow the customer a refund or date adjustment. My recent interactions with USAA have left me little faith in their ability to be able to handle the simplest of functions much less being able to handle a $30,000 piece of machinery and much less any situation potentially involving my life. I really do hope someone reads this review in the hopes that can save time and most importantly their hard earned money.

My biggest regret is not that I lost $300 but that I wasted 3 years justifying the price for higher customer service satisfaction. After 3 years all I can say is that I hope no one else go through this very expensive and very upsetting experience I've had. I have since cancelled my insurance policy and all they can really say about anything is that they are sorry; if you value actions over words this is not the company for you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

A tree from my neighbor fell over the fence damaging the fence and my storage (tuff shed) and I have had to call them multiple times with no response. At this point nothing has been done to fix the problem.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

USAA claims to take care of the military when really they are just like any other greedy money making corporation. I am two time overseas combat veteran that has been a USAA member for years. When I was involved in an accident with another USAA member who was at fault, they are refusing to pay fair market value for the total loss of my vehicle even though I have provided them multiple times with proof of the actual value. I want USAA exposed for who they really are, a Greedy, Money Hungry Corporation that could care less about service members, veterans, or anyone else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I decided to fill out an membership application, in order to get quotes for Auto and Home Insurance. The first thing I noticed, that was a warning sign, once I had provided my information, was that USAA already had a LOT of info about me? The quotes I received were based on Insurance Policies I already had elsewhere, which they obviously had access to? Both quotes, even factoring in a discount for multiple policies, were a little higher than my current ones so I decided I did not want to be a member after all. I discovered there is no way to "resign" online so I called.

I first had to answer several security questions, which was a further indication they had much information about me and my past. I was informed that once a member, always a member, even though that had been for less than 24 hours. The best they could offer was to put my name on a do-not-disturb list, which required waiting about 20 minutes, while listening to the same music bar over and over. My advice is to stay away from this organization unless you want to establish a life-long relationship, on their behalf. Separating yourself from them is kind of like trying to close a Facebook Account, except that, if you stick with it, you can finally get that done. They are not about Veterans and Active Duty Military, except that designated group of people offers a VERY large potential list of customers. Nothing in the application process offers any explanation that you are "Signing Up For Life". Beware!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Not covered if you're on a dirt road, even if it's a county road, etc. Won't come help at all. Was also told that not covered to get keys out that were locked into a rental car (automatically locked even with keys in the car). Know what you're getting. Back to AAA I go.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Please note that I just received an alert from my bank and found that USAA charged my account twice for my auto insurance payment. I am being told by USAA that there was a system glitch and cannot fix this problem until they know why this happened. I have to wait until they figure out what the problem is before they start refunding the duplicate payments. Is this insane or what? This is theft! I was told there was no manager on duty. I told them they should fix this on a customer by customer basis but was told they did not have the authority to do this. Can an attorney help me with this? That was a lot of money deducted from my account and I have to wait until they can figure out why it happened and then do a big sweep to fix everyone's account at once. Never sign up with USAA!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

USAA is the most overpriced insurance ever. They are charging me $966.59 every 6 months for my F150 (clean driving record). I never thought to shop them, then I did and I found out it was $400 for 6 months with Progressive. I believe USAA is taking advantage of military and from all the other disable Vets that use you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We had a work vehicle hit by a USAA policy holder. He admitted to the fault. I filed a claim by phone and was told it would have to be investigated and given the name of our adjuster. I was told that I would be receiving a call from our adjuster within a few days. One week went by and I called back in and had to leave a vm with our adjuster. No return call. Called back, left another vm. No return call again. I called back in, spoke with someone else and was told that their systems were down and that I would have to call back in again.

After 2 more attempts finally spoke with a gal that was a little more helpful and was told that the claim had been approved and I would be getting a call from our adjuster to work out where to take the vehicle and about getting a rental car while it was in shop. No call back. I called the repair shop and was told that I could bring it in as they had received a call regarding the claim, but when I got there, they said that the estimation form was never sent to them by USAA and told me that I would have to make another phone call to get that sent over to them.

The estimation adjuster I spoke with was upset after he received different information from the first gal that spoke with me before transferring me to him. He seemed to take his frustration out on me but finally told me that they would call the repair shop and get it resolved. The vehicle has been in the shop since Monday, today is Thursday, and we still do not have a vehicle that was provided in place of ours. Still no phone call from anyone at USAA. My husband and son are both military, and this makes me very thankful that we chose to go with a different insurance company that has always done ALL of the follow up on claims for us. I am very disappointed in USAA's service and based upon this experience would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I'd give zero star if I could! USAA is a HORRIBLE payor in regards to PIP claims. They stop the payments for ongoing treatments despite of eligible benefit/coverage for PIP. SO unfortunate for all USAA insured that the company they are paying for doesn't cover for their medical expenses. Most PIP attorneys I have talked to know about USAA's awful payment procedure. This company is the worst of all. Honest opinion!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Horrible representative. When breaking down an issue that occurred he tried to turn things in conversation. Constantly cut me off. Didn’t help at all. Very back handed organization. Avoid at ALL costs and if you have them get rid of them fast.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

While in the military I got USAA Auto Insurance for coverage on my 2 vehicles. I never filed a claim or had any incidents. The next year I got a notification that my rates were going up $120. I called and asked why and was told that they factor in claims from the surrounding states and that determines the prices yearly. What a joke. I cancelled and went to Farmers State. Saved over $200. Stupid company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

When attempting a activate a youth card for my son that was attached to our account, we took a little too long entering a PIN number, and was forwarded to someone who was not only rude, but could only tell me that I needed to call back and ended our call by hanging up. No, "Have a good evening", or even, "Goodbye". Called their customer service number and the representative that answered was nice, but she had to get her supervisor to answer a question. The supervisor got on the line and proceeded to tell my son they didn't have any authenticating questions to ask him and proceeded to list things he needed to do to be recognized.

I got on the line and explained to her what happened and questioned why we needed to jump through hoops just to set his pin when the card was attached and our account. She proceeded to rudely tell me that I wasn't authorized by be on this call and she couldn't speak to me. I was so infuriated by this treatment from two of their representatives, one a supervisor that I'm seriously contemplating switching my account to Navy Federal Credit Union. They have local offices and a good reputation. USAA has gotten too big and are forgetting how to treat the service members who are the reason for their existence.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

USAA is a joke. They disguise themselves as a business that serves our military, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The rates are very overpriced. My husband’s deductible was $500 for windows essentially meaning that windows are out of pocket. His monthly rates were frustrating as well because they would constantly flucuate. If you’re someone who even loosely budgets your money, I’m here to warn you. One month it’ll be $50 more than the next. When I was quoted for car insurance they wanted DOUBLE what my current provider is charging me & they still called to see if I “missed” some savings on my quote. Which brings me to their calling system and their overall customer service. If you want a quote, let alone a claim, get ready to sit on the phone for an hour.

It is eerily similar to trying to set an appointment with Tricare. Companies should know that customers will pay more for better service and this is definitely not the case with USAA. You get god awful monthly rates, terrible deductibles, poor customer service and the cherry on top is that they will drop you when they no longer want to deal with you. My aunt was in a nasty car accident and when USAA heard they ran for the hills. I cannot bear to hear their commercials any longer where they act as if they are dependable and cheap AND that they are here to serve our military. They are here to prey on our veterans and they will be there to take your money until you really need them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

USAA isn't what it was... And that's really bad. As a Veteran and from a military family I've been insured by USAA since my 20s...I'm now 78. Throughout this time USAA has always been caring, quick to respond and pro-active in our relationship. At some point in the last ten years that began to change. No longer are there friendly chats with a USAA representative in San Antonio... That's gone. I've had very few reasons to file claims with USAA. However, in early February of this year (2019) I had a minor brush with the base of a street lamp. (I backed into it not seeing it beyond a blind spot in the right rear.)

The entire claims process with USAA was combative and definitely defensive on their side. Although not stated in my insurance policy, the company decided that the labor estimate by my dealership's collision department was higher than "standards." I asked who set the "standards." She said it was "common practice." Again, none of this was set out in my insurance policy. USAA used to be the company watching your back. They seem to have abandoned this in favor of watching out for its corporate interest and not of active duty and former military.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Little story here. Got hit by a deer. Tried applying for a claim. Found out I had been dropped due to driving history but when I sent them the info proving them they were wrong and had bad info they wouldn't bring back my policy and cover the damage, even though I had been with them for 5 to 6 years while I had my car and a veteran but guess that doesn't matter to them. So I highly recommend not using them for anything!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Huge savings with same coverage when I shopped around and saved 800 dollars PER YEAR FOR 3 YEARS NOW!! I am a former 12 year insurance agent for auto insurance. Trust me... Shop around! Sadly, as a veteran, I must say they are a ripoff.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded by former U.S. Army officers, USAA Auto Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable insurance and financial services to active duty, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel and their eligible family members.

• Accident forgiveness: USAA Auto Insurance policyholders can add accident forgiveness, so if they are in an accident, their premiums won't change.

• On-base parking discounts: Garaging vehicles on-base ensures vehicle safety, and, with USAA Auto Insurance, customers can get policy discounts for parking at work.

• Top customer service: USAA Auto Insurance received the highest possible rating for their customer advocacy, according to a survey hosted by Forrester Research Inc.

• All-in-one service: Members can use the USAA Auto Circle to locate, obtain financing and insure their new car. This process can help them save at every step of the way.

• No charge flexible payments: Many insurance companies charge policyholders a fee for monthly payment structures, but USAA Auto Insurance offers flexible payments at no charge.

• Best for: Active duty military, retired military and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky