Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
USAA Auto Insurance
1.52/5

USAA Auto Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA offers auto coverage to all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It enjoys mostly positive reviews from clients because of its excellent customer service and online experience ratings. Products include coverages and discounts for drivers, their cars and their passengers.

PROS

• Affordable rates for USAA members
  • Stored-vehicle discount for military personnel
  • Superior financial strength and claims servicing
  • Online tools for policy management, roadside assistance and claims requests

CONS

• Some discounts not available in some states
  • Products open to USAA members and their immediate families only

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1740 USAA Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 9, 2019

Worthless Claims Service and Adjusters. Leaving USAA after 41 years. Last year I had two Michigan potholes destroy 2 wheels, 3 tires and 1 rocker arm. My damage? Over $3800. USAA payout? $238. They split incidents and negated some parts.

Original review: May 8, 2019

You know why you never see ads for Corvettes? They sell. When you see a commercial, the company is trying to make up for a shortfall. Enter USAA. The run commercials trying to sell us on their support for Veterans. They have ripped me off on a tree falling on a fence for homeowners and now are giving me $81 for a $1,200 claim, (my dogs knocked my old Honda into my car). They are unresponsive, over-promise and under-deliver and are a disgrace to the USA in USAA. Stay away, you've been warned and carry on!

Original review: May 7, 2019

USAA was at one time the absolute pinnacle of customer service. That time has passed. For the past year USAA has removed the ability to email questions to customer service. The only remaining options are calling during business hours, (not really an option when you're stationed on the far side of the planet) or chatting with USAA's already obsolete version of an AI Chatbot. No live humans available to write to or to answer your question. Nothing is worse than a company claiming to be dedicated to serving the troops but that won't let those troops write to human beings. This is not the USAA I have relied on all these years. Ally Bank is a much better option at this point as far as an online bank that focuses on true customer service.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We first received an auto policy in Jan 2019 and everything seemed great. Taking the limited tort option required me to sign a release. After sending it back 2 times, they state they never received it. Also made a dedicated phone call to add roadside assistance and they ignored me completely, never added the auto club program. Of course I had 2 flat tires 2 weeks later and when I called they had no recollection and of course the phone was never recorded.

This company is very disorganized and 1 person to the next has no idea what is going on. A lot is desired of this company and I would not recommend you take insurance with USAA unless you write names, times and events to cover yourself like as I did not do. I have been with a dozen auto insurance companies in my lifetime and I have never had this great difficulty. I contacted the executive branch of USAA and all he could do was stumble around and seemed very vague and confused, thereby confusing me with his jargon. My recommendation is to stay far from USAA until they can manage to streamline their procedures.

Original review: May 7, 2019

USAA overcharges their consumers too much. Example, for house insurance, it was $2,000 for me and I got the same deal from All State for $600. Auto insurance? $800 when I got a $400 deal. Mortgage? 3.75% interest when I could have gotten 3.25% or less elsewhere. Cashback for credit cards? I get 2% from Citi or 5% from Discover. Savings Account? It was just a lousy 0.03% or something when I get 2.35% from PNC.

Membership cashback? USAA barely recorded any of my transactions and turned my dispute claim down for a Holiday Inn stay when I fully knew I went through USAA discount website. Their cashback rewards are laughable when compared to Ebates. I'm done with USAA for life because I know they are all about high profit margins, yet they have been sued and fined lately for poor consumer practices (You can Google all about it).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 6, 2019

USAA denied a full coverage claim regarding a windshield replacement. I proved to them via their own documentation that I was fully covered and they refused to honor the claim without a reason. The claims department admitted over the phone they do not understand Effective and End policy dates. They said they have to follow what the "system" say. I escalated to a manger and they also said they do not understand policy dates. I've since canceled my auto policy and moved to State Farm with a much lower premium and more coverage. They also failed to cancel a property policy, because they "couldn't find it" and only saw a bill for renewal. This was more than confusing and they were not willing to explain what happened. I highly recommend avoiding USAA for any insurance needs.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Pray that you never get into an accident with someone who is covered under USAA. I was in an accident a week ago with one of their drivers and the experience since then has been AWFUL. The other driver that is insured with USAA received a ticket for being at fault for the accident and it also states that she was at fault in the police report AND she had a stop sign and pulled out into oncoming traffic, yet USAA is trying told hold me majority liable for the accident. So now this is going to go through arbitration which is going to take months.

So I have to come out of pocket to pay my deductible to fix my car and I have to pay for a rental car because THEIR driver didn't stay stopped at her stop sign like she is legally obliged to do. VERY VERY upset and will make sure everyone I know is aware of how how terrible USAA treats people. So I guess these days a police report and a citation makes no difference because their member can just lie on the statement and get away with not being at fault.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Hail damage from April 13 hail storm (tennis ball sized hail). So it takes 10 days for USAA to send a claims adjuster out to see my truck. The adjust looks at my truck on the day we have worst weather. And a week after that I receive an email from USAA that my payment was canceled, AND the damage from the hail was prior damage! Wow. What am I paying them for? If this doesn’t get fixed ASAP. After 10 years of being with USAA, I am choosing Geico.

Original review: April 29, 2019

In December I was hit by a USAA member (crossed three lanes of traffic and side swiped my car). Took them over a month to send me a letter (even though I made sure to trade all information at the scene including contact phone number) stating I hadn't contacted them and needed to do so in regards to the accident. After speaking with them and giving the information I was told that it shouldn't be an issue and they would work with my insurance in order to get everything taken care of since it was their driver at fault. Here it is over 5 months later and I get a letter from my insurance that they are still trying to get the compensation from them. Thankfully I used my insurance to get my car fixed or I would still be without one, at least now I am just out my deductible thanks to horrible insurance companies.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I've been a member since 1968 and have seen a steady increase in cost with no improvement in service. Through the years I've trusted USAA and been pleased with them until recently. I finally decided to get quotes from three other companies and found that USAA was more than double the cost of all of the others in spite of the member annual refund.

Original review: April 26, 2019

USAA is by far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work with. I was involved in an accident with a USAA policyholder and USAA said I (!!!) was at fault despite the police report with their policyholder admitting fault. USAA ignored all inquiries - phone calls, emails, faxes and even a handwritten letter. Ultimately had to file complaints with my state's Department of Business Regulations and the Better Business Bureau to even prompt any type of communication from USAA. Then USAA had the audacity to drag this through arbitration. Which was a total waste of time since the case was ruled against them. For anyone that has to deal with USAA from this side of things, be prepared for the long haul. Be persistent and use any resource that is available to you.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We have been with USAA for over 30 years and over the years the service seems to be on a major decline. I just found out that I am not covered when driving someone else's vehicle --- you have to file the claim with the insurance company of the owner even if YOU were driving the vehicle. This potentially drives THEIR rate up. They did say if there is a portion of the claim that the owner's insurance doesn't cover, they will pick up the remaining costs. Not a lot of comfort when you have to tell your friend, "yeah, I know your car was damaged while I was driving it, but you have to file a claim with YOUR insurance." I will definitely be insurance shopping in the next few days!

Original review: April 25, 2019

USAA has the worst customer service. My husband was hit by a USAA insured driver. The USAA driver admitted fault, and a ticket was issued to him. It has been nearly two months and we still haven't received payment. They have told so many lies, it is impossible to list them all. We have tried to contact them for weeks and they won't return a call. The last thing that happened is we sent the title to them Federal Express after having it notarized and they claim by email (since they won't talk on the phone) they haven't received it. After all their lies, I'm sure it is another one of their tactics to hold payment. Try not to ever get hit by someone who carries USAA insurance!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Don't trust USAA. They increase your rates every renewal period without cause. They have no honor and only pretend to care about hard-working families when all they really care about is making money. I hope someone comes along and burns this company down to the ground along with those unscrupulous employees who work there. I have been waiting for three weeks for a return call from Linda ** in the corporate office after leaving her three messages.

Original review: April 19, 2019

On April 3 I purchased a car insurance policy and subsequently found a cheaper quote under my finance with State Farm. Called and canceled same day. Was told refund would be done within 7/10 days. I have called 4 times with no result only to be told it will take some additional time due to billing. This is not ok. I want my money now.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been with USAA for over twenty years. I have had claims, no issues at all. I realize that insurance is not total replacement, of what I think the value is. I have had several employees that were wonderful and very few that weren't but is that not in every company we work for or in. I am USAA for life. I also realize that most of the negative comments are short of validity and broad in specific information. Unless you go to the upset new boyfriend in March that does not qualify. USAA may be a little higher in some states but they have less fine print or traps other have. You save money in the long run.

Original review: April 16, 2019

If you are hit or involved in an accident with a member of USAA, be ready to be disappointed!! Low total loss amount for my car... Promised to overnight my payment... It's been over a month since accident and still haven't received it! Good luck trying to get someone to answer your call or return a call. Do not believe that they will overnight your check and even though accident was not my fault I had to shell out money to have title notarized! But they made sure I overnighted my title and paperwork to them.. by providing it!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was with USAA from 1997 to 2015 and served 6 years in the Marines. I was told early in my military career that they were the best, and they were. I noticed about 2010 that I was paying more than I should for property insurance. They kept increasing the rates even though I had never had a claim. Starting getting Property insurance quotes and they were half of what I was paying. I had been blindly loyal to USAA and had overpaid for over a decade.

I pleaded with USAA to reduce the price or I was going elsewhere. They only would reduce the price by $100 for the year so I left. Kept them for auto insurance for a few more years and they did the same thing increasing my auto rates. I called and complained and USAA told me that they had a lot of claims that year, so they had to increase everybody's rates. I Left USAA after 18 years and I should have done it a lot sooner. Back in the 90's when I became a customer, USAA had excellent service and good pricing as well. Those days are long gone.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Using USAA for our auto insurance has been an absolute nightmare. Their site glitches and "forgets" updated phone numbers, cards, etc. The only time I made a claim - for a simple crack in the windshield - they found a way to weasel out of covering it. Save your money and go somewhere else for auto insurance.

Original review: April 12, 2019

USAA is the worst insurance company EVER!!! If I could give them negative stars, I would do so. My insurance company lapse due to poor service. I contacted them in order to set up automatic payments from my bank account. After giving them all of my personal information, I thought I was good to go. USAA never deducted money from my account and my insurance was cancelled.

I called to complain, they advised me that they had to investigate, which was fine. After about a week, they reached out to me and advised me that their representative did everything correctly and they would not reverse the lapse in coverage. I am sure there was a misunderstanding somewhere and I asked to listen to the recording. I was told that I had to get an attorney to request it. There were other issues with the conversation as well, but too much for this portal. Please do not use this company. They claim to be be Military friendly, but they are not. They are scavengers. They are crooks. They are dishonest. They are unprofessional.

Original review: April 11, 2019

So I called to have my Jeep fixed. I have the best coverage USAA has to offer for the state of Michigan. I started a claim to have them cover a rental, while my vehicle which I WAS OFFERING TO PAY TO HAVE FIXED, they started the process and then denied me instantly. This was all one person. I figured she was just being ignorant and I tried to call them back. This guy said I was covered and then some, and transferred me to the next group of people. This is where I have lost all faith in this company.

After I was transferred, I was accused of insurance fraud because someone said I was covered, to which I read them my policy and she got quiet immediately. These are all recorded lines by the way. I asked to speak with her manager and she said none was available till the next day. I gave her my information to call me back because she asked for it. Then she continued to argue with me and said her manager will duplicate what she said.

So about two hours later I have a "manager" call me back. I explained the situation and she said I wasn't covered and the guy who told me I was, broke the law which still isn't my fault. I asked to speak with her manager as well and she argued with me profusely. She ended up giving me the runaround and then said she would transfer me to claims again, only to be put on hold. They have yet to fix this problem and I will be seeking legal aid shortly.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Granddaughter just returned from deployment. Went to reinstate her and wanted to charge $220 per month. She has no car. No tickets etc. When I asked what discount she would get for being active military the guy said, "You get no discount. Just having us for your auto is a privilege because we only use military." Called other companies and got quotes for around $100 with military discounts. My husband is a Vietnam vet and ours keeps going up. We have no tickets and no accidents and live in a retirement community and hardly drive. Ours keeps going up. Goodbye USAA!!!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

This is the worst insurance company ever. Do not pay claims like they should and are very rude and disrespectful. Will be switching insurance companies. This happened to my daughter and I. Do not use this company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Something has happened at USAA. I used to, as a CEO, talk about how wonderful the customer service was. Indeed I drowned a car through my own stupidity 10 years ago and got back more money than I'd spent on the car originally. My beef has to do with at least five things that have happened since then. Something has gone horribly wrong with the management of this fine institution.

It is too long a story - but I was being sued over a boating accident. I have umbrella insurance with USAA - they, when called to see if I had coverage in this horrible twist of problems - denied seeing this as an umbrella issue. I didn't follow up because the primary insurer had it covered. But... then the there was an accident, the truck in front of me lost a drive shaft - it rumbled out on the highway and we hit it. Apparently at 65 mph and in the rain I should have somehow avoided the steel pipe. Uninsured driver - no compensation.

Wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room. Value: $6k, deductible - $6k. Not much help there. It goes on and on. Too much. Most recently we sold a vehicle back to the dealer under a lemon law challenge. Bought a newer VW... Went to USAA for financing... as I have financed essentially all my cars. Their rate? 9%?!?! VW's was 4.99 - USAA's advertised rate was like 4%. My credit is 750. The premium was because of my credit? What?

So let's see... I don't trust their insurance now would umbrella really cover me - don't' know, I will stop using them for consumer loans. Time to move on. If USAA reads this, I would imagine - particularly given the Consumer Affairs stats - that something has happened to this once mighty customer service team. Management change? Have we lost the forest from the trees? I miss the old USAA.

Original review: April 4, 2019

This has got to be one of the worst Auto Insurance companies ever, stay away! It all started when my wife was involved in a accident when one of their insured ran into her. The incident occurred on a Friday evening and we come to find out they are not open on weekends, mental note do not get in an accident on weekends with this company. We followed all their protocol and were assigned a claim number. After numerous calls to the person handling our claim my wife was getting nowhere, the "we are still investigating" line.

I obtained the police report which, states their insured was issued a citation for careless driving, which they seemed to not want to do, and last night was told again that they are still investigating. I responded with, "It's been 3 weeks how long does it take to read the report. I want my car fixed," I was then told "Sorry if things don't happen as fast as I want them to"! Really it's been three weeks. Fix my car! Well this morning I call the adjuster and she returns my call. Leaves me a message that the car that hit us is not covered by them, at which time I contact my insurance company and they call USAA and call me back and say that yes the person that hit us is insured with them.

Again more lies because after I send USAA the crash report they tell me again that the person that hit me is not insured with them. I have sent the police report to my insurance company and they will call USAA and my insurance will probably end up having to subrogate these scammers to recoup the monies. Dealing with these so called "insurance professionals" has been nothing more than a stressful exercise in futility. Please save yourself the headache and "Stay away from USAA"!

Original review: April 4, 2019

USAA Auto Insurance is very unprofessional. Asked personal questions that had absolutely nothing to do with my wreck. Been working on my claim for almost a month and still isn’t done. Keeps switching the reasons why it’s taking so long when I indeed have full coverage. Highly unprofessional and I wouldn’t not recommend their car insurance.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I'll get right to it. USAA is a terrible company. They have claimed I missed a payment as in a late payment therefore giving me an only option to pay in full. Now granted we have our vehicle insurance, our homeowners insurance and our boat insurance through USAA we are talking thousands of dollars a year for insurance. My option for myself was to go to a different company. I then get a call from a supervisor from USAA and since I threatened and actually left the supervisor gave me an option to go back on monthly payments so this tactic doesn't work with me and quite frankly I call this terrible customer service. I advise you to do your research and go elsewhere. USAA is a money making machine with poor customer service.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I am a 10 year distinguished FC1 Veteran with 4 NAMs (SW) MBA and CAPM. That doesn’t mean anything and the only reason I share is because I feel that some of that might reflect my integrity and the honor, commitment, and courage that I tried to represent for my country. I have had USAA for over 10 years, homeowners insurance, car insurance, Amex and banking. When my defensive driving avoided an accident. I called in to see if my auto policy would cover a scratch on my rim (I braked and avoided the car that merged into my lane by braking and adjusting right). They sent out an adjuster and put an accident on my record for a scratch on my wheel.

I got $0 and my wife’s premium for her Q5 increased and now because I called to check my coverage I have an accident on my Carfax. I called to argue with claims and they blew me off. I called customer service and filed a complaint and the supervised had no authority to have my complaint reviewed. I used to think USAA was for veterans, but it is clear that they don’t seem to have integrity. I wouldn’t be surprised if they cancel my insurance for this review. But at the end of the day - a man’s word is all he has. Go with Geico folks. Sincerely FC1 (SW) **...4 NAMs, MBA, CAPM, GDB Claims Operations Anthem, Inc.

Original review: April 2, 2019

USAA total Loss claims group is an dreadful experience. They start out with a low ball offer and after rejection they increase a small amount and then it's a take it or leave it situation. USAA is not only unfair and they are arrogant and will drag a claim out for months only to tell you to settle or go back and try to negotiate with your own insurance company even though the USAA customer was at fault. I will never do business with USAA.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Once upon a time USAA had really good customer service. During my last auto claim process I was really let down. I dealt with not only one but two terribly rude, condescending, arrogant employees who turned me off to them as a company. During the claim they paid off the balance of the vehicle to the lienholder but made me wait over a week to get my payout. Meanwhile, they stopped paying for my rental as soon as they paid off the lienholder but left me, the customer, out in the cold footing the bill for a rental for like 10 days waiting for my payout! They showed me that they are not special like they claim to be, they are just another bank and the banks will always eat first. The customer is truly second class to them. USAA is now fired as my insurance company.

USAA Auto Insurance Company Information