TravelSafe Insurance

TravelSafe Insurance provides travel protection for citizens of the U.S. and most territories of Canada. Our plans provide medical coverage, emergency assistance, trip cancellation and many more other benefits like cancellation for a hurricane warning. To learn more, visit our website today!

Compare Travel Insurance

Research top Travel Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bought the cancel for any reason insurance with this company to insure my trip to Alaska. We were going to fly to Alaska, rent a car and stay in hotels for 17 days. About a month before our departure date we decided to cancel our trip. We notified TravelSafe and all of the hotels of our plans to cancel. We were able to cancel all of our hotels without penalty because we canceled outside of the penalty window. The only thing we asked TravelSafe to reimburse was for our unused airline tickets. Here's the gotcha! TravelSafe denied our claim because We did not call Alaska airlines and let them know we were not going to fly.

I did not call Alaska because these airline tickets were non cancellable. Since the tickets were non cancellable, it never occurred to me that I would have to call them to say I was not going to fly. Our claim was denied because of this. I find this very sleazy to say the least. From a money standpoint it would have made no difference whatsoever if I had called Alaska. I believe many people probably get caught by this technicality. This seems like a sleazy company to me. Anyway, for all of you who maybe reading this, be aware YOU MUST ALSO CALL THE AIRLINE even if you can't get any money back.

Unequivocally, from my experience, the worst insurance out there. I have tried for over two months, unsuccessfully, to receive the 75% of the total cost of my purchased trip back, based on the insurance plan I purchased and based on the guidelines and rules on their website. I have provided (two times) all of the information they have requested from me, but I continue to receive excuses by different representatives as to why the claim has taken so long to process. Their company policy says it can take up to "30 days" but as they told me, "usually 14 business days". In very rare cases it can take up to 60 days, however today, marks 60 days since I filed the claim and ultimately none of what I was told has been the truth, nor resulted in what they promised on their site.

Further, I just received notification today that they need an additional 21 days for "additional information under review". I will never purchase insurance through this business again and I highly recommend anyone considering doing so to exercise caution and explore all other possibilities of travel insurance. It's very clear this is a company that sits on your money, in the hope that you give up trying to receive reimbursement for what they promise you.

I had a bad experience with both TravelSafe and their claims administrator TripMate. In the middle of our vacation we traveled between Spain and the UK where my mother lives. Our flight was very delayed and we arrived at the small airport 25 miles from my mother's home at 1am on New Year's Day. Normally there are several trains and buses each hour to the city where my mother lives, but on a public holiday and in the middle of the night we had missed all the scheduled trains and buses. We had to take a taxi. We made a claim for this expense, and despite 2 appeals they denied the claim... stating erroneously that we had arrived at our destination when we had reached the airport.

So I have discovered that you can become stranded in the middle of your vacation and this company will interpret the policy to not cover your situation... Just what you buy insurance for, right! So watch out... This company will try to wiggle out of paying a claim... Insisting on a nonsensical interpretation of the policy language. You are not in safe hands.

We bought TravelSafe Insurance based in part on its positive reviews here. We went to Russia where my wife was hospitalized and we had to return early. First, they give a phony name for their medical subcontractor. When its true name was entered reviews were uniformly 1 star. They were beyond useless. Fortunately I have AMEX Platinum. They put us on flights back to the US no questions asked (except for medical release) and 100% paid. Then it turned out that travelsafe is actually a front for the VERY POORLY RATED TRAVEL MATE. The positive is that the medical part was reimbursed in only 2 months.

The bad news is that they have not refunded my wife's tour cancellation. Our trip was in September, it's now January. At first I would call and get a person. That is how the medical was handled. However lately all I get is music and bounced into their callback system. Of course they only call back when nobody is around. I am giving these bozos another week before I go to court.

Their customer service cleared up any and all insecurities I had about using them as my traveling agency and I was greatly impressed and very satisfied that they were able to explain things so clearly and in such a short time frame. The claim I had with them took only 4 days to go through and be completed which I found to be extremely impressive. I am happy with my experience with TravelSafe and I plan to do business with them again in the future. They are definitely a higher quality and value brand and agency. Their establishment is incredible as well as the faculty they employ. They are all so knowledgeable and generous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TravelSafe Insurance?

I was happy with the level of respect I was treated with. Representative seemed knowledgeable and happy to answer any and all questions and concerns that I had. It gave me peace of mind to know I was covered in the event that something unforeseen would occur. I would recommend that everyone traveling always take out a travel insurance policy to protect in case there is a need.

Everyone there is nice but they try to talk you into stuff that was unnecessary for my needs during my business partnership with them but every place tries to do that so. It wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be and I guess the peace of mind was worth it in the end so overall I'd say the value was worth the extra money spent. It was easy to cancel after explaining that I just didn't need it anymore so it was terminated with welcoming back for return and future business.

Very easy to book the flights I wanted and got them cheaper than on the actual airline's site. The only negative thing I would say is that I was not able to get a decent seat selection and when I went to the airline's site I was stuck sitting in the middle seat which I hate.

I did have a few questions that customer service was able to help me with. I wanted to know if we had to cancel for a son-in-law's illness would we be covered. The impression I got from talking with their customer service department was that they would handle all claims efficiently and quickly. I think travel insurance is well worth the money if you think there is even a slight possibility that you might gave to canceled trip for medical reasons. The process to purchase was easy and quick. You can research and compare plans online.

I found that the customer service is very good. They are fast and efficient and seem to be quite good at their jobs. They made the process quick and painless. They handled my claim in an efficient manner. They seemed to be as fast as any other insurance company. They did not try to delay the process at all. The level of the coverage was enough to meet my needs. The price that I paid seemed to be fair as well. Overall I would say that they offered a good value. When I no longer needed the service I found the cancellation process to be clear and simple. I had no problems at all and never felt pressured.

They have always provided great, great service that I need for my family. Never had a problem and the timely service is spot on. I never will go anywhere else other than here. Thumbs up guys. The price has never been better. The service is top notch and I have loved the great thing they do for me.

This was very easy to purchase and gave me peace of mind. The customer service department was very friendly and knowledgeable. I felt very confident with my purchase. I feel confident with this company that they would handle everything fairly if a problem would have arose. Travel insurance is one of those things that you get just in case life happens. You hope that you never have to use it, but it is nice to have the peace of mind to know that you are covered just in case. I purchased this for a trip. It was a short term thing, but I didn't have any issues whatsoever. It was just fine.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1971, TravelSafe offers comprehensive insurance packages to travelers from the United States and Canada.

• Multi-tier pricing: Three coverage level options let you choose how much insurance you need.
  • Health insurance only: For travelers who have limited health coverage out-of-network, travel health insurance can make all the difference.
  • Extended health travel insurance: Those traveling for work or for school might spend years overseas, and TravelSafe offers up to 5 years of coverage to give peace of mind to the long-term traveler.
  • Group pricing available: TravelSafe offers three different group policy options, so everyone can travel with confidence.
  • High-value personal effects coverage: Policies offer up to $2,500 in coverage for lost, stolen or damaged luggage.
  • Best for Party animals, adventurers and family trippers.

Compare Travel Insurance