Find a Travel Insurance partner

2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

2.9/5 (20 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About TravelSafe Insurance

TravelSafe Insurance provides travel protection for citizens of the U.S. and most territories of Canada. Our plans provide medical coverage, emergency assistance, trip cancellation and many more other benefits like cancellation for a hurricane warning. To learn more, visit our website today!

TravelSafe Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TravelSafe Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TravelSafe Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I always booked my trips using TravelSafe. Never claimed it, but had to cancel my trip because I got pregnant and my doctor told me not to go due to high risk of Zika virus. I had cancel for any reason. Well... turns out the Zika virus is a "specific exclusion". They don't care of the doctors notes. I paid $300 for canceling for any reason, but ended up not being able to cancel even for a medical reason.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

TravelSafe has repeatedly turned down a claim for this spring for a cruise line that went bankrupt before refunding money due to two cancelled cruises. They first claimed their policy exempted anything to due with Covid cancellations, but the policy was purchased in 2019 when no such exemptions existed. They then said I changed the dates of my travel; I did not. Then they said I told them I had been refunded all money; I did not. They keep asking for the same documentation again and again. It is one inaccurate excuse after another.

And this is not the first time I had a problem with this company. Last summer I had a last minute cancelled flight at Newark Airport. I was on my way to Rome for a cruise and the airline said that there were no available seats for two days. I frantically found a flight later that day, but from Dulles Airport. TravelSafe did cover the new flight ticket, but refused to cover the train and taxi I had to get to get from Newark to Dulles.

A couple of years ago my husband needed to be medically evacuated home from Romania. Company sent a flight medic to escort him. TravelSafe refused to use the airline we were originally booked with even though that would have cost us only a $250 change fee. I asked to fly on the original airline as I would easily arrive some before him, if they insisted that he and the medic fly on very expensive tickets with another airline. They demanded I use their airline. When I filed a claim for the lost costs of the land tour we were unable to take due to shortened trip, they deducted the costs of the new high price tickets and we receive virtually nothing back. I highly recommend that no one ever buy from this company again. They are simply not honest.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Very poor claims service. We filed a claim immediately on return, and provided everything requested on the claims form. Three weeks later, they ask for boarding passes. Three weeks later, seriously? We provided alternative proof of flight delay. They ignored. We finally contacted United Airlines, who provided a letter acknowledging the delay--which we provided to claims department. Silence again for weeks. We tried calling--waited online, asked for supervisors. Lousy response, calls not returned. It took 2 and 1/2 months to get a very simple, $200 claim resolved. Pretty sad. Use a different insurer, just not TravelSafe/Trip Mate.

Original review: June 9, 2019

My husband and I had a smooth transaction when making a claim. We were not bombarded with follow-up requests, etc. and the company TravelSafe used to process the claim, Seven Corners, responded quickly to emailed questions. Just FYI, they use a company called Cambridge to process payments; when I received an email from Cambridge I was worried it could be spam/phishing/etc. so I contacted Seven Corners to confirm, and it is a legitimate company that they use. The payment was added to my checking account with no problems.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Terrible company. Good luck in reaching them on the phone. I filed my claim and the wait started. After nearly a month I check the status of my claim. All it said was denied. No reason given. No email from them or phone call to explain as to why. I tried to reach them but after holding forever left a call back number.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought the "cancel for any reason" trip benefit within 21 days of booking my trip as stated. After 2 long months of "reviewing" the claim I was denied the entire cost of the my trip. This company is USELESS. They never have anyone you can speak to when you call and always need to wait until the next day to talk to some useless and stupid customer service agent who knows nothing about your claim and says the claim is "under review." Do yourself a favor and tell everyone you know not to use this company. All the horrible reviews on this website speak volumes about this awful company. They just want to steal your money. Will never use this company again and have already told multiple people to avoid this travel insurance at all costs. I hope this company goes under and ceases to exist really soon because they do not deserve to be in business. FRAUDS!

Original review: April 2, 2018

Poor Travel Insurance, will not use this company again. Planned a cruise 2/10. My 15 year old daughter ended up with surgery 1/7 and 2/7. Filed a claim and canceled my trip immediately after first surgery on 1/17, sent along with ER/Surgery medical records. It is now April, I have called many times, they just state "it's under review", even though on my first phone call I was told 14 days, possibly 30. This is a simple case, with clear medical documentation. I only filed for the cruise portion, as it was non-refundable. Amtrak and my hotel refunded my money immediately. There are many other travel insurance companies out there, skip this one, not worth it!

TravelSafe Insurance response

Hi Gina,

We are very sorry to hear our claims department is not being responsive to your needs and that you had to cancel your trip. Our claims processor, Trip Mate, should be attentive to your concerns. But because this is not happening, we will follow up on your claim for you.

We are sending a you a private message so we may better assist you regarding your claim. We do hope your daughter is recovering well.

Amanda - Team TravelSafe

Original review: July 28, 2017

Bought the cancel for any reason insurance with this company to insure my trip to Alaska. We were going to fly to Alaska, rent a car and stay in hotels for 17 days. About a month before our departure date we decided to cancel our trip. We notified TravelSafe and all of the hotels of our plans to cancel. We were able to cancel all of our hotels without penalty because we canceled outside of the penalty window. The only thing we asked TravelSafe to reimburse was for our unused airline tickets. Here's the gotcha! TravelSafe denied our claim because We did not call Alaska airlines and let them know we were not going to fly.

I did not call Alaska because these airline tickets were non cancellable. Since the tickets were non cancellable, it never occurred to me that I would have to call them to say I was not going to fly. Our claim was denied because of this. I find this very sleazy to say the least. From a money standpoint it would have made no difference whatsoever if I had called Alaska. I believe many people probably get caught by this technicality. This seems like a sleazy company to me. Anyway, for all of you who maybe reading this, be aware YOU MUST ALSO CALL THE AIRLINE even if you can't get any money back.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Unequivocally, from my experience, the worst insurance out there. I have tried for over two months, unsuccessfully, to receive the 75% of the total cost of my purchased trip back, based on the insurance plan I purchased and based on the guidelines and rules on their website. I have provided (two times) all of the information they have requested from me, but I continue to receive excuses by different representatives as to why the claim has taken so long to process. Their company policy says it can take up to "30 days" but as they told me, "usually 14 business days". In very rare cases it can take up to 60 days, however today, marks 60 days since I filed the claim and ultimately none of what I was told has been the truth, nor resulted in what they promised on their site.

Further, I just received notification today that they need an additional 21 days for "additional information under review". I will never purchase insurance through this business again and I highly recommend anyone considering doing so to exercise caution and explore all other possibilities of travel insurance. It's very clear this is a company that sits on your money, in the hope that you give up trying to receive reimbursement for what they promise you.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I had a bad experience with both TravelSafe and their claims administrator TripMate. In the middle of our vacation we traveled between Spain and the UK where my mother lives. Our flight was very delayed and we arrived at the small airport 25 miles from my mother's home at 1am on New Year's Day. Normally there are several trains and buses each hour to the city where my mother lives, but on a public holiday and in the middle of the night we had missed all the scheduled trains and buses. We had to take a taxi. We made a claim for this expense, and despite 2 appeals they denied the claim... stating erroneously that we had arrived at our destination when we had reached the airport.

So I have discovered that you can become stranded in the middle of your vacation and this company will interpret the policy to not cover your situation... Just what you buy insurance for, right! So watch out... This company will try to wiggle out of paying a claim... Insisting on a nonsensical interpretation of the policy language. You are not in safe hands.

TravelSafe Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1971, TravelSafe offers comprehensive insurance packages to travelers from the United States and Canada.

• Multi-tier pricing: Three coverage level options let you choose how much insurance you need.

• Health insurance only: For travelers who have limited health coverage out-of-network, travel health insurance can make all the difference.

• Extended health travel insurance: Those traveling for work or for school might spend years overseas, and TravelSafe offers up to 5 years of coverage to give peace of mind to the long-term traveler.

• Group pricing available: TravelSafe offers three different group policy options, so everyone can travel with confidence.

• High-value personal effects coverage: Policies offer up to $2,500 in coverage for lost, stolen or damaged luggage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor