Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I changed my auto insurance to GEICO and let them transfer me to one of their recommended Homeowners Ins Co which happened to be Travelers Homeowners Insurance. They quoted me a price which was a few dollars less than my previous insurance policy with another company, but as I was unsatisfied with my previous company and they did a lot of pressuring to purchase that day, I agreed to go with them. Now a month or so later, I get a letter stating that they had someone come to do a physical estimate of my home replacement value and it seems to be $30,000 more than previously stated, so my insurance will go up $60 - $70 a year more than what I was quoted.

When I called about it, I let them know how unhappy I was and if I had been given that quote for more than I was already paying I would never have changed my policy to them. Seems like they get you signed, then it just so happens you are not insured for enough so they increase your amount and there is nothing you can do about it. I will be looking around for a new company when renewal time comes up and do not recommend Travelers Homeowners Insurance to anyone else.

We are first time homeowners and first time ever having to deal with insurance claims and how the process works. To begin we had a fire that started in our kitchen which in turn caused a lot of damage and we had to stay in a hotel for pretty much three weeks. Not a very big kitchen and Travelers called in ServPro who in turn took longer than needed to clean up the damage. Brought in a machine to clear the air but the furniture was still in the home which was later deemed too smoke filled to clean which made no sense to continue running the machine with the furniture in place. Second the claims ServPro was submitting every day had incorrect times listed; we have a camera on the home and watched the activity... No one seemed interested.

After receiving a check all of the estimates were more than 3000 more than what we received and then to find out we were to pay ServPro from the check. "Had" no idea. Was told that estimated listed it all. Could not reach the agent for more than two weeks due to a family matter and no one called or return calls with our confirms about the estimate, not being able to find a good contractor and pretty much everyone we reached out to did not contact us back.. Once company stated they don't work with Travelers.Pretty much they shortcut the clients. The kitchen is now to the point that we could just get out of the hotel and back home. And we are paying out of pocket trying to fix things ourselves.

Pay insurance for 4 years and when we needed them they disappointed us. Not only are we without furniture, have to find a way to pay ServPro for their fraudulent service. We have to find a way to get a window in that was caused by fire. The agent should have went over everything with us and Travelers should have had someone assisting him while out on a personal family matter. This is a complete nightmare for me and my family and truthfully aside from the customer service call. Hurting.

I am now in week 2 of a claim filed on my rental property in which Our AC compressor unit was stolen from the back of our home. Travelers has delayed and found every reason not to appropriately replace. Must I remind you that the home can't function without it. I have interacted with two individuals Takeisha ** and her supervisor Doug ** who are horrible representatives for this company, are unable to effectively deal with paying customers and devoid of customer service skills.

Anyone considering using this company should RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This company is like a used car salesman on steroids. I wish I had read these reviews a long time ago but now that I have this unwanted experience their contract will not be renewed. Travelers will find any way to minimize their pay out for a claim by using their own "depreciation values" on items. This depreciation value they quote comes from an nonvalidated computer program they have and is in place so that you essentially are stuck paying for what they should.

When trying to tease out details they talk in circles with no substance yet dig their heels in regarding their payout amount. Prior to becoming a landlord I lived in the house in question and was insured by State Farm. In my 15 years with State Farm there was one home claim issued and 2 car claims which were promptly addressed. Any disputes we found areas of compromise and I never heard of additional company-manufactured depreciation costs. You should never consider Travelers and go to State Farm instead.

When I initially filed the claim on my property for the missing compressor it took Takeisha ** 3 days to contact me and according to her she had 48 hours and since I called after 5pm the clock didn't start until the next day (AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE). This was followed by a series on nonproductive phone calls filled with non chalance and lacking any clear reason as to why the cost of replacement this company arrived at was 1500 dollars less than the cost listed by the HVAC company THEY contracted to assess the property.

The cherry on top was that I would have to pay up front then they would mail a check which is a reimbursement. They struggled with the concept that their paying for this is different from them reimbursing me. I provided various analogies to try and illustrate the point at which time they pivoted to a different issue. I offered that they pay the contractor directly which also fell on deaf ears given the shady nature of this company.

When I insisted on speaking to the manager Doug ** it became perfectly clear how Takeisha ** ended up with the poor customer relation skills. He never once apologized for the now 2 week delay. He has clearly received a PhD in ** which I see through completely. I can't remember the last time I dealt with two employees of a company that were so horrible. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. As with most things you pay for what you get. Thankfully GEICO covers our bigger policy but sold us down the river to this horrendous company for Landlord insurance.

After 20 years of never filing a claim and paying expensive premiums for auto and home called for a porch roof leak. The appraiser came said the roof was over 5 years old. He was very rude but then gave us some hope when he took pictures of the damage. Later that month we got a letter in the mail they were canceling our insurance because there was chipped paint from our well maintained stucco home that they saw in the picture! Never wrote a review in my life but hopefully can help others from giving this company any opportunity to rip them off. We immediately got coverage with Triple A and it was less expensive and we have had no claims but they could not believe when they saw our home Travelers canceled us!

Travelers screwed up my home insurance. I escrow with my mortgage company and they made me pay my own premium!!! They sent back three checks to the mortgage company because they simply do not know what they are doing!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

We have a homeowners policy with Travelers Insurance. We did a lot of shopping before signing with them and have been happy with their services up until now. For some back story, we have very limited choices in our area due to brush, so our premiums are already high at $3300.00 per year. This year, we had a contractor steal our camera while on site. We had no proof of the theft, but a 9k claim was made and paid quite efficiently. Our renewal notice came up and our premium jumped an additional 60% to $5300.00 due to the single claim. With as few choices as we have in insurance, we will mostly likely have to stomach the increase. We are, however, incredibly disappointed in their greed. Thanks.

Travelers didn't inform me that the roof is only covered if it's 10 years or newer. The company they recommended even told me it's not fixable and they don't want to patch it. Travelers still told me they would only pay for a few shingles, not the drywall replacement, not the insulation replacement. The roof was inspected 1 year ago but now it's old and needs replaced but they won't help. Be careful and don't go with Travelers because they are cheaper. Huge headache and worst mistake I have made in regards to my home. They only cover new roofs and told me it won't do any good for a 2nd opinion. The adjuster was rude and creepy, made my wife uncomfortable. Horrible experience!!! Very convenient for the insurance company to not cover older roofs. What is insurance for then?

I had 3 vehicles insured as well as my homeowners!!! NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT! I had my patio roof redone (which I paid for) and my garage roof done (from an old Farmers claim). My policy was up for renewal and they wanted pictures of my patio roof to verify it was completed EVEN THOUGH I never filed a claim with them! My son got on the roof and took pictures. I sent the pictures as instructed. I asked them if that was all they needed and would I be renewed. They said for me not worry that every was fine!

Well, I got a letter from my mortgage company saying my homeowners had not been renewed!!! I called Travelers and they told me it was not renewed on 8/15 because they wanted more proof that my roof was completed!!! I sent them receipts that I was paying for my roof monthly from the construction company!! They still did not renew. I NEVER FILED A CLAIM THE WHOLE TIME I HAD THEM!! DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. They're crooks.

We had Travelers Insurance for 10 years, then you file a claim for storm damage. The agent came to our house and told us it would be settled in a week and we said OK then you are probably going to cancel us next week. He said Travelers doesn't work that way, we'll guess what they cancelled us the following week. They said we now have to put a new roof on the house, we plan on doing the roof next year. But they want it done NOW. We have never filed a claim in the 10 years they collected our money.

I purchased a 1 year policy and did not renew it. The policy was renewed after the 1 year term without my knowledge, then cancelled after a handful of months. Travelers then attempted to collect payment for the handful of months after the fraudulent renewal through a debt collector.

I live 900 feet from the great south bay on Long Island. My house was being lifted because of hurricane sandy. My general contractor hired a "rigger" to lift my house. The rigger lifted the house in January 2016, the house fell on Feb. 13th 2016. Our house was on the rigger's insurance policy (as an additional rider for lifting coverage). Guess what??? Travelers refused to pay the claim and now I am homeless and still paying a mortgage. Travelers insurance company stinks!!!

Water heater broke Monday. Tuesday Travelers Homeowners Insurance inspector comes to my house and refused coverage stating water damage was long-term! BROKE THE DAY BEFORE!!! Policy canceled. Will never do business again.

I paid $200k for our home 12 years ago. We are thinking of selling and despite $70k in updates we'll be lucky to get $200-210k out of it. Travelers gave us a decent quote based on our current homeowners coverage, which is $325k. We switched over, made changes at the bank to escrow insurance through the mortgage payment, etc.

So now that we're all set they decide to send out an inspector to take pictures (we live modestly at best, with lots of Thrift Store furnishings). Travelers then determined our home is now worth $525k and by the way we owe them over $300 more that they decided this for us. Really?? Which puts them WAY over other quotes we received and we would have chosen these other companies instead had we known this kind of insurance deception. Now we have to cancel the Travelers' policy and start the process over. What a SCAM! How many unfortunate people do they nab with this treachery because those people don't want to have to search for another insurance provider? Well, I'm switching to another company!

Living in New Mexico hail and hail damage is a pretty rare occurrence; the last hail storm was in 2013 and I can't remember the once before that. I live in a historic neighborhood with Victorian houses. My little cottage has a very steep roof. Recently, after a windstorm I noticed that a shingle had blown off and I called a roofer to repair it. Nearly 70 years old with severe arthritis I wasn't about to climb on the roof myself. My roofer noticed some pretty serious hail damage and I called Travelers Insurance. A claims adjuster came out in a couple of days, climbed on the roof and verified that there was considerable hail damage and said that it was definitely covered and I would receive a check in about a week. Then a week later I received notification that Travelers was denying my claim as it incident had happened over a year ago and I only had a year to report it.

First of all, I did call them immediately upon my knowledge that there was damage. What did they expect? A woman nearly 70 years old climb up on her roof on a yearly basis to check for hail damage? Sorry, physically impossible! To add insult to injury not only did Traveler's refuse to honor my claim (although they cashed my premium checks quick enough) when I received my renewal notice they had greatly increased my rate!!! Several other neighbors with similar hail damage recently reported the damage to their insurance companies and there wasn't a problem with their coverage. They got their roofs replaced! Who didn't get coverage? Only Travelers clients!! Something's very wrong here. In my personal opinion, Travelers is preying upon senior citizens and I would highly recommend that if you have Travelers you consider cancelling them immediately and if you're looking for homeowners insurance look at any company that ISN'T Travelers!

I just had a Travelers Insurance rep look at the roof on my house. About a month ago we had 60-70 mph winds for about 8 hours. During this time many shingles were torn loose from the roof and more were loosened. While picking up shingles in my yard during the wind I could clearly see shingles flapping up.

Now for the good part, Travelers Insurance agent says THERE IS BARELY ENOUGH DAMAGE TO BE COVERED BY MY DEDUCTIBLE. The roofing contractor said the roof wouldn't last two more years because of the damage. The roof is only 10 years old. Replacement cost is about $16,000.

Our car along with several other cars were disabled when we drove into a sinkhole that formed 2 days after NJ American Water had completed work on an underground water main pipe in that spot. It has been raining all day and there was dense fog so one car after another was driving into it. My car had to be towed and have the tire replaced and a wheel alignment was necessary. The police had forwarded our incident report and contact information to Travelers Insurance who was handling all the claims for NJ American Water Company. I was just informed that my claim was being denied because Travelers said they were told by NJ American Water that they filled in the hole properly after completing the repair. All Travelers did was accept their word and now we all have been denied. I am going to appeal the denial.

I am in SC taking care of my mother's home. She passed 2 years ago. I had thoughts of continuing the upkeep of her home and flower garden, once hailed by the local newspaper as flower garden of the month. The home is valued under 100,000 in the south, maybe 150-200,000 in Maryland. I moved into the home on May 24, 2015. The home while not at the value above has far more sentimental value to me because it belonged to my Mother. My family is not wealthy but we subsidized her expenses. Homeowners insurance and forced flood insurance totaled over 2,500. She was in her 80s when she was forced by Nationstar Mortgage company to get the flood insurance. When I came I had and maintain personal property insurance through Assurant Insurance Co... at times my electronic payment information says GEICO. I originally contracted with GEICO. The companies' relationship was never explained.

Come the flood on October 6, 2015. I called Nationstar and spoke with their representative who connected me to the claims department as we elected to have them purchase the flood insurance through their source at 1,500 per year. My story is very long, bottom line is that the first adjuster said that the WATER damage and mold infestation is not related to the flood. Of course I lived in the home since May and there was none of the damage present. If the home was infested with mold I would not have moved in. Not only did they say that the damage was not from the flood, they said bogus and fabricated statements.

One was that there was no movement of soil to indicate flooding. I gave the second adjuster a video that I filmed on August 30, 2015 months before the flood. The video was to show the pattern of water running onto the property during a normal rainstorm. I took it to show the City of Sumter so that they would fix the problem which existed years before the flood and at the time that the insurance policy was written. I am now convinced that there was no need for flood insurance. The Atlantic Ocean is 2 hours away, and the nearest ditch is a half block away. My family has lived in the area for over 75 years and there has never been a problem with water from the ditch. I have been speaking with a supervisor who said some pretty stupid and condescending things.

When I shared with her that I previously owned 6 homes, the last home valued a million dollars and that I fully understood how insurance works. I also explained that I lived in Annapolis, MD, a city that is predominantly water and no one is forced to have flood insurance. She said that she would get back to me in 2 days... it's passed 2 days. I am a senior citizen, living and breathing mold daily. The hardwood floors are buckling from the moisture seeping up from under the house. There is mold in my bedroom... green and black. Servpro measured 19% moisture in my mattress. The hot water heater is out because of the water coming through the roof. All of my clothing and shoes have mold, as well as the kitchen cabinets, and the odor is horrible. The water brought filth and possible feces from the sewer in the street near the house.

South Carolina was deemed in a state of emergency and my problems are very visible. I found out in my search that FEMA administers all flood insurance. They rushed to the aid of those who had no flood insurance with no questions. I personally know one person who had 4 ft. of wall from the floor up taken out, totally repaired, new furniture and appliances... no flood insurance. I have gone to the media and will continue contacting any place I feel will make the community aware of the treatment I and I am sure others are experiencing. If I am having these challenges dealing with this situation, I can only imagine the elderly, poor or those who just don't know what to do. I am thankful that my Mother does not have to deal with this issue. I have no doubt that if this insurance co told her that she wasn't covered she would just walk away to suffer in this unsafe environment.

I now understand why consumers don't trust insurance companies. I think that a class action suit might force GEICO to be proactive in selecting those companies they pass unsuspecting customers to. At the least we should be able to make the decision. Had I known that Travelers and Assurant were not GEICO and that GEICO SAYS that they are not related at all, I would not have insured with them... ever. I found this out from a GEICO executive who I was referred to by their CEO. Actually they can say what they want, however, when I dialed GEICO and asked for renter's insurance for my office space in DC, they transferred me... not once advising me that they were transferring me to another company. Please excuse grammatical or spelling errors, if I wordsmithed this, I would probably delete it.

While visiting my family over the 2015 holiday season, my backpack was stolen. In it was my MacBook Pro, along with some sundry items. The experience in getting the claim settled is still not a done deal. Although I provided Travelers with information as soon as they requested it, I still haven't received full compensation for all items stolen, namely, the total amount due me for my MacBook Pro. The claims agent assigned to this case was clearly not totally informed as to how to handle such a case. I was given incomplete information and incorrect information.

I called her supervisor three times, left messages for him to return my calls, but he never did. The last time I called, this morning, I dialed 0, as instructed, but was put on hold for over ten minutes, when finally I hung up. This is the second time that happened. Terrible service. I did contact their consumer affairs department and am awaiting a call from the supervisor of the supervisor of the agent who was trying to handle this case. Who knows if I will be contacted or not. The only reason I have Travelers is because I got them through GEICO, but have found that their level of customer service in no way approaches that of GEICO. I do plan to file a complaint with GEICO to let them know what I experienced.

Just spoke with an agent who insisted on talking over me. I let my insurance lapse because I got better home insurance from another company. This agent says I am still liable to pay outside of the policy dates. This does not sound correct. I paid for 1 year and 1 year only. Why are they paying for my policy outside the date. If there were some damage outside expired date I BET their excuse would be, "your policy is not paid up to date therefore we can not allow your claim."

They said that if I did not ACCEPT a mandatory on site visit to my house for review they would not renew my insurance. And if THEY decide I need more insurance, irregardless of my wishes. Then I was obligated to accept the increased rates or be canceled. So I went with Mercury. They are the BEST!

During hurricane Andrew, my king size water bed located on the third floor of my home broke. It flooded all three floors. The adjuster, who was harried because of the hurricane, was in and out of my home in 3 min. He was aware of the significant damage and the level of my furniture and accessories. He was more than fair and awarded me enough to fully restore my home.

Lost power, pipes frozen and burst, paid 100% to fix, nothing on personal items! Stolen property, paid 1500$ on 3890$. Wind storm, no power, subzero weather. I asked for 25% cost on a generator, "nope no way, but if your pipes break we will fix them, but not your personal items." They have offered to replace 12% of my food loss.

I was forced insurance through my mortgage company at a price of $1500.00. That brought my mortgage payment over $3500.00 a month. The coverage was insane, the company wanted us to have flood insurance. We're not even close to a flood zone. I researched many others, none of them wanted flood insurance and the prices were a lot lower. Finally I found Travelers. Excellent customer service, over $1000.00 less for the same coverage minus flood. I would recommend them to everyone.

Travelers as a company is pretty good. My issue is with my insurance agent who is non existent. We have been with them for quite a few years and I don't even recall the last time he has contacted us to see if we need to change anything or to at least check in. Because of that I will be shopping for a new company and hopefully someone who at least pretends to care about me and my family.

This insurance company covered everything we needed. We were able to repair water damage in our ceiling caused by leaky plumbing. Also we got a new roof because of hail damage. They were quick to respond and pay for repairs. Getting the payments for the roof repair to the right party was a little complicated but it was paid.

I am happy and satisfied with my insurance company. I am with my insurance company for the longest time and the service is exceptional. I have never had any sour grapes nor unattended inquiry that is unresolved. I am always treated with respect and professional treatment is at its best. I am happy and satisfied and does not plan to move my coverage with other company anytime soon.

No problems. How can they be rated if I have never had any problems with them? It's good that I know that they are there for me, if I need them, do not really understand why I need to use one hundred words to describe my experience with Travelers Ins.

We are pretty happy with Travelers. Not only is it our homeowner's insurance, it's also our car insurance with a high deductible. We haven't had to use it yet, thank goodness, but when we do, I think they will treat us right. Our premium isn't too bad. We changed to Travelers about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago from MetLife and we are pretty happy with it. We know if we need it, it's there. When we switch to Travelers, I asked our independent insurance agent if we get a free umbrella, but unfortunately we don't. Our homeowner's insurance make me feel secure.

This company is great. We lived in South Carolina and were in the process of relocation to North Carolina. We had purchased our house about five months before and were having a lot of updates inside. We came to NC to check on the updates and as we were coming down the street, we noticed some of the roof was gone, due to a storm the night before. I immediately called Travelers' 800 number and they had someone come out immediately to cover the roof since more rain was expected that night.

My husband was in a car accident and injured by someone who had Travelers Insurance a few months ago. The person admitted fault and took full responsibility. The car was totaled. No one from the insurance company contacted him. So 5 days later we contacted them. They were extremely RUDE. Tried to get my husband to admit fault. Shady company! His vehicle was paid off, but medical bills, pain/suffering, and days missed work haven't been paid. They won't even return our phone calls (left 5 messages last week). This accident put us in a hardship and they could care less. We are considering hiring an attorney to help us since it's pretty clear they will not offer us a fair settlement and are in no rush. Terrible company!

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Profile