1.46/5
Based on 128 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Travelers Homeowners Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

169 Travelers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought an almost 1400 dollar policy on my house that was supposedly covering everything. We had some damage to our door during the Irma storm which caused the water from the rain to also leak in and cause floor damage on top of that. After I contacted my insurance they created a claim and I had to call them for weeks to never get a call back from my claim specialist and finally I received a letter that stated they didn't cover anything caused by nature, humans, plants, animals, etc. so I realized that my coverage was a joke and called and cancelled my policy. The funny part is that 15 minutes after cancellation I received a call from the claim specialist who wouldn't call me back for weeks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Be aware, this company plain and simple violate the law, if you have a lost, first step don't allowed them to send you an adjuster of their own. They are incompetents and irresponsibles. They never will return calls etc, use your right to hire a public adjuster. He will be fair, it is your right but homeowners don't know, they will cheat you and they will cheat the contractor, they refuse to pay for the contractor overhead and profits, even when there is the invented rule of tree trades, even when the job is complex, anyway that have nothing to do with overhead and profits, they don't respect the Texas law requires insurance to paid when a contractor have been hire by a homeowners, by not paying they are practically Stealing from the homeowner and the contractor, this affect the homeowner for quality and warranties etc. I am about to sue this company for malpractice and cheating. Beware. Stay away from this crooks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It makes me feel secure and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The price of coverage I have is very fair, only about $200 and something a year. If I did ever have to make a claim, which I hope never happens, I'd receive the benefits I've been paying for all these years. But I have no reason not to trust Travelers.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I'm not even sure where to begin. I was the General Manager of a national franchise (that I now own) that used Travelers for its worker's comp insurance and we had no problem for the one year we had their insurance and have never made an insurance claim in the 14 years we have been in business. Then I formed a new LLC and bought the franchise rights from the old LLC. I called Travelers to update their files. They said the new LLC would need to reapply, which I understood and we did. The operations of the company have not changed since the buyout, so I assumed there would be no issue.

The next week I get a call saying I'm approved and the new policy would be in the mail soon. A few days go by and I receive a cancellation letter that states that my company's "business operations include travel to foreign countries that have a major risk of endemic disease per the Center For Disease Control”. Nope. Not a single one of my employees leave the state for work, much less the country. The next day I received the new policy packet. So I got cancelled before I even received the new policy which I was approved for.

I figured that a quick call would clear this up but there was no number listed on the cancellation policy. When I followed up with them by finding a number online, they said they would look into it. I then received an email the next day saying that they realize my company does not travel out of the country but that after further review, my "business operations do not meet our underwriting guidelines for the issued worker's compensation policy. An in-depth review of your operations revealed that your operations are more of an {insert job my company does not do} than {exactly the job my company does do}." So yeah, I'm done with this company and I reported it to my corporate office and all 100+ franchises that currently use Travelers for worker's comp will likely be cancelling their policies for fear of getting randomly canceled for no reason. Hope it was worth it.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have had the Travelers Insurance for my home for over 9 years and paid the premium on-time. Recently, the toilet tank line bursted and flooded the entire upstairs and 1st floor. It ruined my entire kitchen, bathrooms, carpets, floors, dry walls and the garage. I immediately called the company and filed the claim. The adjuster Erick showed up with a Restoration company called Servpro. After looking at the damage, he sent immediately a denial letter stating that it bursted due to a wear and tear and the water damage is not covered in my policy. The pipe had no sign of any wear and tear. There were no water stain on the floor to prove their point, but they can get away from paying the claim if they say that it was due to wear and tear which means we did not take care of it so according to the rule, they don't have to pay for the claim. It's a company which will say and do anything to avoid paying any claim. So they will come up with made up stories.

If that was not enough, they even cancelled my policy saying that the "property is changed"??? The property had inside damage by water which had to be fixed, but again they want to get away by saying these specific words which could legally get them out of the hook. What a phony, fake, criminal organization who only knows how to take your money and the minute you file a claim, they will deny to pay for it and for sure will cancel it. It's called legal robbery!! I wish if I could give them ZERO star. Whoever have their policy should wake up and immediately change it to another reputable company before they fall victim to this horrendous company. It reminds me of a movie called Devil's Triangle of the 70's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: July 7, 2017

Incident with Travelers Homeowners Insurance. We have held Travelers Homeowners and Auto policies since 2001. Up to this point we have been very satisfied their product and service. Unfortunately, that is not the case now. At the beginning of May 2017, I noticed a blackened spot on the wall in our hall bathroom. It was between the shower and toilet. I sent a sample of it to PRO-LAB and received the Certificate of Mold Analysis the end of May 2017. The results identified the sample as Stachybotrys, also known as black mold. After consulting the Center for Disease Control, US Environmental Protection Agency, and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, I realized the implications of this situation on my family's health. I also discovered the importance of having a licensed, certified Water Mitigation and Mold Removal Company, to fully remove it.

In addition, I discovered that should we decide to sell our home, a certification from a credible Mold Remediation Company would be necessary to state that all mold and damage had been removed and repaired to safety standards. I contacted Bio Safety Clean and Chris ** came to my home on 6/26/2017. He did a full inspection and confirmed that the mold in the hall bath was Black Mold and needed to be removed immediately for my family's health. He also found there is extensive water readings within the wall behind the vanity, toilet, and tub/shower, basically the whole bathroom. The smell is not only in the bathroom but is also in the entry/living area, which shares a wall.

In order to find the source of this water and remove all of the mold it is necessary to completely gut the bathroom, clean up all mold, determine where the water leak is coming from, repair this leak, and then install all new vanity, sink & counter, fixtures, shower walls, medicine cabinet, dry wall, paint, etc. On 6/26/2017, Chris emailed me the estimate to forward to Travelers Homeowners Insurance. The estimate was for $5630.99. I placed a claim with Travelers Homeowners Insurance on that same day, 6/26/2017. On 6/30/2017, the adjuster for Travelers and Chris ** with Bio Clean met at my home. The adjuster was emailed the report from PRO-LAB identifying the mold so he was fully aware of the black mold. Chris ** reviewed with the adjuster the estimate and why items on the estimate needed to be done to completely remove the mold and water.

I am concerned that the adjuster has little or no experience in water mitigation and mold remediation. I received the estimate from Travelers on 7/3/2017 and the total was $6687.78 minus $1000 deductible for $5687.78. This estimate supposedly included the amount for water mitigation, removal of mold, and rebuild. After reviewing the estimate it is clear that Travelers has not considered the full extent of the water problem or mold infestation. The breakdown of the estimate is as follows: Water Mitigation $1149.22. Mold Remediation $1134.40. Rebuild $4404.16. As you can see, Travelers is agreeing to pay is $2,283 for Water Mitigation and Mold Remediation. According to this estimate, Travelers is only covering a portion of Bio Clean's water mitigation and mold remediation and a portion of rebuilding of our bathroom.

**THERE WAS MORE MOLD FOUND IN BATHROOM DUE TO LEAKING PIPE WHICH MEANS THE COST WILL INCREASE. Items omitted from the estimate: Extended Stay cost upfront - $1065.40. Cost of items that had to be thrown away due to mold exposure - $1500. Cost of water and mold inspection by Bio Clean for $100. Loss of use for 10 days? I am also concerned that based on Travelers estimate the work would not be performed according to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Corticated Standards. The standards are as follows: Professional Water Damage Restoration $500. Professional Mold Remediation $520.

If these standards are not followed we will not be able obtain a certificate that our home is free from water and mold. We would never have assurance that the water and mold has been fully removed and we would be unable to sell our home in the future since we would have not way of verifying that this problem was dealt with correctly. In addition, I have obtained an estimate from a licensed contractor through Home Depot that gave me a figure of approximately $7000 to restore my bathroom to full use. Clearly, Travelers estimate of $4404.16 will not fully put our bathroom back to full use. As you can imagine I find all of this very troubling. My family's health and welfare are at stake. I am sure you would feel the same if this were your family.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Most of our neighborhood will have their roof replaced and APPROVED by their insurance companies due to hail damages that occurred last February 2017. I had mine DENIED by Travelers two times (two adjusters came in on two separate occasions). Even with the presence of Roofing Contractors (by the way, they say that it differs with the guidelines of insurers). This only means that their guidelines are not homeowners friendly. Consider other options even if this insurer is cheaper because for the long term... you will be at the LOSING corner.

Original review: June 25, 2017

An unforeseen, very emotionally charged and sad experience with my dog and a child who received 18 stitches due to dog scratches. The episode occurred on my property. The dog had never been aggressive before and had been raised for 4 years with the child next door. The child, no doubt, played a role in provoking the dog, but the dog could no longer be trusted and was euthanized. The child healed well with no scars but Travelers Homeowner's Insurance, who contacted me the homeowner once in almost 2 years, paid out $25K to the obvious money grubbers. Now everyone will know why premiums continue to rise when they dole out money like this.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I am stuck with Travelers for homeowners and can't wait to drop them. I bought them for my home purchase settlement (2009) through AAA, which I had for auto emergency service. I got a good rate which convinced me of the decision to purchase their insurance. The rate was about $400/year, now it has been $904/year since I had a claim 5 years ago. We had a "100 year rain event" that wore out my sump pump and consequently the sump pit backed up into the basement. My wife had just moved in and had many things, including furniture, stored in the basement. What a mess. We filed and were paid only $5000; they said was the policy coverage limit. Since that date we have paid more than double, as mentioned, the premium and can't switch companies due to only ONE claim.

I called Travelers for info to save money and better afford this policy that I am stuck with, but little help. I then just called to find out what my refund from the annual premium payment would be when I cancel 2 months after renewal. They again can't give me the "short rate refund" amount. I want to know in advance if it will be cost effective to cancel and change COMPANIES after renewal or if the "refund" penalty is more than the savings. I was told that they can't calculate that; I had to wait till after the renewal. I told them that there are numerous "short rate refund" calculators online why can't you just tell me, I need to know if your company charges any other fees. The answer was, NO, can't give you that information. Again, no answers to logical questions.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I was insured by Travelers for years. I had no idea I was being overcharged until I left them and went to USAA. This is when I found out I was being overcharged. They were charging me for 1800 square feet when my house is only 1300 square feet. They are now claiming that they cannot find my info since I left the company.

Original review: May 12, 2017

The ONLY reason this is a one star rating is for our insurance adjuster. He was the BEST at helping us with our claims and getting us covered for what was needed. But now that our claim is about to close, we got a letter stating that they are dropping us because we filed a claim. What a jerk company. Seriously!!! Isn't that the purpose of having homeowners insurance? To use for when a bad thing happens to your home? But not drop a client because we use the money that we put into the company??? I'm so sorry my adjuster works for such a horrible company. Makes a nice man look evil like the company he works for. But he was the best. If I had to do it over again, I would not choose Travelers. I would have steered way far clear of them. I'm actually quite hurt (literally heartbroken) that a company would do something like this. I have a few choice words for them.

Original review: April 27, 2017

We recently had a bad hailstorm in our neighborhood. Travelers came out to inspect... sending a adjuster and hired one from 2 hours away when one was local. They decided that the front part of our roof and a sunroom was damaged but not the backside of the roof. However, the sunroom tires into the backside of the roof and unless God was throwing knuckleballs with the hail you would have to suspend the laws of physics for the backside of the roof not to be as damaged as the sunroom. So they want to pay for a partial replacement... which is in effect a patch. My agent says that if I was with another carrier and wanted Travelers to write my homeowners... THEY WOULD NOT WRITE A PATCHED ROOF.

Guy beside me had his entire roof replaced as did the 2 on the other side and 2 across the street. Our roofer who has more credentials and certifications than a medical doctor could not believe what they were saying or did... and this roofer told 2 others on the backside of the area they DID NOT have any damage. So they are not trolling for business and have a impeccable reputation. No wonder Travelers is near the bottom of JD Powers ratings. Run from them and never do business with them if you want a company that will stand by you. This is the first ever claim, never been late on a payment NOR did I pay for half premiums or half coverage. They are a major ripoff.

Original review: April 27, 2017

After paying our premium and purchasing our new (very old) home we were suddenly dropped by Travelers. Without a phone call or conversation about the property, they made assumptions and dropped us. They sent an inspector while we were in the middle of removing 3,000 lbs of left behind belongings and trash from the house from the previous owner. We had pulled aside all scrap metal so it could be recycled and placed it in a pile. This displeased the inspector.

We began the complete renovation on the inside and hadn't started on the exterior yet, but he didn't like the peeling paint he saw. We were also cited for overhanging trees. In the 30 days we had the property, this had not been checked off our to-do list, but the removal of tree limbs was fast approaching had they just asked us. I am appalled by the lack of communication. We would have happily made all the recommended improvements immediately had they asked. Now we have no homeowners insurance and an unhappy mortgage company.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I had a claim and they quoted me one price. But when the guy wrote out the check it wasn't even half of the quote. I will never use Travelers again.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Rates keep climbing with no losses and the claims service is poor because the adjuster never pays you the amount it takes to complete repairs and overestimates the replacement cost of your dwelling so they can increase the premium.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Travelers Insurance via Paramount Insurance Group accepted my monthly premium on time every month and applied it to an account of someone with my same name at a different address. They now are REFUSING to cover my home during that year because THEY made a mistake. They are stealing a YEARS WORTH OF PAYMENTS and refusing to provide the coverage I paid for. I did nothing wrong and no one should ever trust Travelers Insurance. They make mistakes and YOU pay for them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

My office suffered water damage from a rainstorm. The rain entered my office through the roof while under replacement causing approximately $75,000.00 worth of damage. I suffered ceiling and wall damage, electrical damage, computer and equipment damage as well as loss of business. I have been paying premiums for 20 plus years and when I really needed Travelers, they refuse to pay anything. I spoke with supervisors and the Vice President of claims and they will not change their position and do the right thing and pay the claim. What a false sense of security. I would not want anyone else to go through this!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I changed my auto insurance to GEICO and let them transfer me to one of their recommended Homeowners Ins Co which happened to be Travelers Homeowners Insurance. They quoted me a price which was a few dollars less than my previous insurance policy with another company, but as I was unsatisfied with my previous company and they did a lot of pressuring to purchase that day, I agreed to go with them. Now a month or so later, I get a letter stating that they had someone come to do a physical estimate of my home replacement value and it seems to be $30,000 more than previously stated, so my insurance will go up $60 - $70 a year more than what I was quoted.

When I called about it, I let them know how unhappy I was and if I had been given that quote for more than I was already paying I would never have changed my policy to them. Seems like they get you signed, then it just so happens you are not insured for enough so they increase your amount and there is nothing you can do about it. I will be looking around for a new company when renewal time comes up and do not recommend Travelers Homeowners Insurance to anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

We are first time homeowners and first time ever having to deal with insurance claims and how the process works. To begin we had a fire that started in our kitchen which in turn caused a lot of damage and we had to stay in a hotel for pretty much three weeks. Not a very big kitchen and Travelers called in ServPro who in turn took longer than needed to clean up the damage. Brought in a machine to clear the air but the furniture was still in the home which was later deemed too smoke filled to clean which made no sense to continue running the machine with the furniture in place. Second the claims ServPro was submitting every day had incorrect times listed; we have a camera on the home and watched the activity... No one seemed interested.

After receiving a check all of the estimates were more than 3000 more than what we received and then to find out we were to pay ServPro from the check. "Had" no idea. Was told that estimated listed it all. Could not reach the agent for more than two weeks due to a family matter and no one called or return calls with our confirms about the estimate, not being able to find a good contractor and pretty much everyone we reached out to did not contact us back.. Once company stated they don't work with Travelers.Pretty much they shortcut the clients. The kitchen is now to the point that we could just get out of the hotel and back home. And we are paying out of pocket trying to fix things ourselves.

Pay insurance for 4 years and when we needed them they disappointed us. Not only are we without furniture, have to find a way to pay ServPro for their fraudulent service. We have to find a way to get a window in that was caused by fire. The agent should have went over everything with us and Travelers should have had someone assisting him while out on a personal family matter. This is a complete nightmare for me and my family and truthfully aside from the customer service call. Hurting.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I am now in week 2 of a claim filed on my rental property in which Our AC compressor unit was stolen from the back of our home. Travelers has delayed and found every reason not to appropriately replace. Must I remind you that the home can't function without it. I have interacted with two individuals Takeisha ** and her supervisor Doug ** who are horrible representatives for this company, are unable to effectively deal with paying customers and devoid of customer service skills.

Anyone considering using this company should RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This company is like a used car salesman on steroids. I wish I had read these reviews a long time ago but now that I have this unwanted experience their contract will not be renewed. Travelers will find any way to minimize their pay out for a claim by using their own "depreciation values" on items. This depreciation value they quote comes from an nonvalidated computer program they have and is in place so that you essentially are stuck paying for what they should.

When trying to tease out details they talk in circles with no substance yet dig their heels in regarding their payout amount. Prior to becoming a landlord I lived in the house in question and was insured by State Farm. In my 15 years with State Farm there was one home claim issued and 2 car claims which were promptly addressed. Any disputes we found areas of compromise and I never heard of additional company-manufactured depreciation costs. You should never consider Travelers and go to State Farm instead.

When I initially filed the claim on my property for the missing compressor it took Takeisha ** 3 days to contact me and according to her she had 48 hours and since I called after 5pm the clock didn't start until the next day (AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE). This was followed by a series on nonproductive phone calls filled with non chalance and lacking any clear reason as to why the cost of replacement this company arrived at was 1500 dollars less than the cost listed by the HVAC company THEY contracted to assess the property.

The cherry on top was that I would have to pay up front then they would mail a check which is a reimbursement. They struggled with the concept that their paying for this is different from them reimbursing me. I provided various analogies to try and illustrate the point at which time they pivoted to a different issue. I offered that they pay the contractor directly which also fell on deaf ears given the shady nature of this company.

When I insisted on speaking to the manager Doug ** it became perfectly clear how Takeisha ** ended up with the poor customer relation skills. He never once apologized for the now 2 week delay. He has clearly received a PhD in ** which I see through completely. I can't remember the last time I dealt with two employees of a company that were so horrible. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. As with most things you pay for what you get. Thankfully GEICO covers our bigger policy but sold us down the river to this horrendous company for Landlord insurance.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

After 20 years of never filing a claim and paying expensive premiums for auto and home called for a porch roof leak. The appraiser came said the roof was over 5 years old. He was very rude but then gave us some hope when he took pictures of the damage. Later that month we got a letter in the mail they were canceling our insurance because there was chipped paint from our well maintained stucco home that they saw in the picture! Never wrote a review in my life but hopefully can help others from giving this company any opportunity to rip them off. We immediately got coverage with Triple A and it was less expensive and we have had no claims but they could not believe when they saw our home Travelers canceled us!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

Travelers screwed up my home insurance. I escrow with my mortgage company and they made me pay my own premium!!! They sent back three checks to the mortgage company because they simply do not know what they are doing!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

We have a homeowners policy with Travelers Insurance. We did a lot of shopping before signing with them and have been happy with their services up until now. For some back story, we have very limited choices in our area due to brush, so our premiums are already high at $3300.00 per year. This year, we had a contractor steal our camera while on site. We had no proof of the theft, but a 9k claim was made and paid quite efficiently. Our renewal notice came up and our premium jumped an additional 60% to $5300.00 due to the single claim. With as few choices as we have in insurance, we will mostly likely have to stomach the increase. We are, however, incredibly disappointed in their greed. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

Travelers didn't inform me that the roof is only covered if it's 10 years or newer. The company they recommended even told me it's not fixable and they don't want to patch it. Travelers still told me they would only pay for a few shingles, not the drywall replacement, not the insulation replacement. The roof was inspected 1 year ago but now it's old and needs replaced but they won't help. Be careful and don't go with Travelers because they are cheaper. Huge headache and worst mistake I have made in regards to my home. They only cover new roofs and told me it won't do any good for a 2nd opinion. The adjuster was rude and creepy, made my wife uncomfortable. Horrible experience!!! Very convenient for the insurance company to not cover older roofs. What is insurance for then?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I had 3 vehicles insured as well as my homeowners!!! NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT! I had my patio roof redone (which I paid for) and my garage roof done (from an old Farmers claim). My policy was up for renewal and they wanted pictures of my patio roof to verify it was completed EVEN THOUGH I never filed a claim with them! My son got on the roof and took pictures. I sent the pictures as instructed. I asked them if that was all they needed and would I be renewed. They said for me not worry that every was fine!

Well, I got a letter from my mortgage company saying my homeowners had not been renewed!!! I called Travelers and they told me it was not renewed on 8/15 because they wanted more proof that my roof was completed!!! I sent them receipts that I was paying for my roof monthly from the construction company!! They still did not renew. I NEVER FILED A CLAIM THE WHOLE TIME I HAD THEM!! DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. They're crooks.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

We had Travelers Insurance for 10 years, then you file a claim for storm damage. The agent came to our house and told us it would be settled in a week and we said OK then you are probably going to cancel us next week. He said Travelers doesn't work that way, we'll guess what they cancelled us the following week. They said we now have to put a new roof on the house, we plan on doing the roof next year. But they want it done NOW. We have never filed a claim in the 10 years they collected our money.

Resolution response: Feb. 15, 2017

The Connecticut Department of Insurance ruled in my favor and made Travelers cease their collection action.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I purchased a 1 year policy and did not renew it. The policy was renewed after the 1 year term without my knowledge, then cancelled after a handful of months. Travelers then attempted to collect payment for the handful of months after the fraudulent renewal through a debt collector.

Original review: July 20, 2016

I live 900 feet from the great south bay on Long Island. My house was being lifted because of hurricane sandy. My general contractor hired a "rigger" to lift my house. The rigger lifted the house in January 2016, the house fell on Feb. 13th 2016. Our house was on the rigger's insurance policy (as an additional rider for lifting coverage). Guess what??? Travelers refused to pay the claim and now I am homeless and still paying a mortgage. Travelers insurance company stinks!!!

Original review: July 8, 2016

Water heater broke Monday. Tuesday Travelers Homeowners Insurance inspector comes to my house and refused coverage stating water damage was long-term! BROKE THE DAY BEFORE!!! Policy canceled. Will never do business again.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I paid $200k for our home 12 years ago. We are thinking of selling and despite $70k in updates we'll be lucky to get $200-210k out of it. Travelers gave us a decent quote based on our current homeowners coverage, which is $325k. We switched over, made changes at the bank to escrow insurance through the mortgage payment, etc.

So now that we're all set they decide to send out an inspector to take pictures (we live modestly at best, with lots of Thrift Store furnishings). Travelers then determined our home is now worth $525k and by the way we owe them over $300 more that they decided this for us. Really?? Which puts them WAY over other quotes we received and we would have chosen these other companies instead had we known this kind of insurance deception. Now we have to cancel the Travelers' policy and start the process over. What a SCAM! How many unfortunate people do they nab with this treachery because those people don't want to have to search for another insurance provider? Well, I'm switching to another company!

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information