1.63/5
Based on 154 reviews that contain star ratings

Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

195 Travelers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Their refuse to cover my content loss from a leaking roof that has been dry for the past five years. Hurricane winds and torrential rain tore loose shingles and damaged the roof causing excessive water damage from rainwater coming from the roof. They determined that my dry interior had to have been wet because a Google image from 2012 prior to a resale, showed loose shingles? So my damaged furnishings are not covered. Even though the roof hasn’t leaked since my occupancy in 2013?

It’s disgusting that they can get away with this. Yes, it’s an old roof, but it didn’t leak until the shingles were ripped off in high winds and it should be covered. Plus, I have mold remediation. The adjuster told me the mold was old on my beams and boxes and took a long time to grow? Mold grows in 24-48 hours and spreads rapidly. So what is he talking about? Do not use this company!!! Horrible experience. Pay money to insure my furnishings and they don’t cover the loss??

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We have GEICO car insurance and we wanted to up our homeowner’s insurance in case anything ever happened to our custom home. GEICO contacted me about their offering of homeowner’s insurance and they connected us with Travelers Insurance. We are now paying three times the amount per year for our policy, but I believed this meant we would receive good coverage if needed. How wrong I was to believe that Travelers was a good insurance company! Our problem began when we decided to remove our older built-in refrigerator and decided to put in a Subzero. When the installer came out and removed the refrigerator, mold was found on the wall behind it. We never knew we had a water or mold issue because it was hidden by the refrigerator.

I immediately called Travelers Insurance as well as a remediation company. I was told over the phone that Travelers would cover up to $5000 for the remediation and that we had a $2500 deductible. We were fine with it. The Travelers claims adjuster I was assigned to was too lazy to come visit our property. Instead, he asked me if I had an iPhone and if I would download an app to my phone so he could virtually take pictures on his iPad via my phone. I complied. The remediation company then proceeded to do everything they needed to do, ripping out cabinets, drywall, etc. They did an excellent job.

A third party company came out after several days of clearing out the mold and all of it was gone. Days later I received a call from the Travelers adjuster stating that our claim was denied. He mentioned that "the mold on our brick flooring looked like it had been a while". I told him there was ZERO mold on our brick, and what he was looking at was actually painted brick that had black paint splats. The unprofessionalism and lack of care from Travelers Home Insurance astounds me. Do not choose them for your coverage!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I am happy with Travelers. It offers coverage better than I had at a better price, and was convenient to purchase online. Their first proposal exceeded the coverage I had and saved me 600 dollars a year. My agent and the company have been completely accommodating to fulfill my wishes and needs regarding my homeowners insurance. They were very patient to fully explain all aspects I asked about.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Ridiculous stalling period to send my refund. My money. Sold home Sept 4. Called them Sept 8. Inform me I would receive a refund of $1184. It takes 7-10 days. Ok fine. Called Back Sept 23, told me wait 30 days. If they stop payment it’ll take another 30 days. It’s Oct 2. No check.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

As with another reviewer, I had a water leak (early 2018) in a line in my third bathroom that I needed to file a claim for because the damage entailed: wall/ ceiling/baseboard removal and drying. The agent that I worked with did a great job in helping me through the process. That is not my issue. My issue comes with my premium getting raised over 50% because of this one claim. I've been with Travelers since 2012.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

They have their own adjusters who make estimates, but no specialist to determine what the problem is. They don't agree with the estimates of the repair specialist. Why don't they provide the repairs specialist that works directly with Travelers? I am not renewing my policy. Claims Department is really bad.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been with Travelers for 10 years and had a great experience recently till I had 2 small claims for water damage. One for my water heater which happened about 2-3 years ago and another for a leak from my roof into my kitchen back in June. I get a call yesterday saying they are not renewing my coverage because of these 2 small claims happened within 3 years. Unless you have a huge claim I wouldn't put in any small claims. I had high marks for Travelers till now.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I recently discovered an issue with my roof. A mold specialist identified the issue as a leak, which was confirmed by my roofer as ice damming. I was provided letters from my roofer stating the installation was to specs and the roof was not covered in mold/wrought when replaced 7 yrs ago, and a letter from the shingle company explaining ice damming.

I contacted my assigned adjuster Rob ** with Travelers who sent out a contractor to assess the damages. While speaking with the adjuster he informed me ice damming would essentially collapse a roof which is contrary to the shingle company's explanation. The contractor incorrectly identified a range hood vent as a shower vent. I was then informed by the adjuster the damages were a result of moisture from my shower and therefore not covered. I requested the contractor re-assess the situation and I would turn on the fans to show it was a range hood vent (cooking grilled cheese clearly wouldn't cause 1/4 of my roof to leak, wrought and mold) and I offered to provide the documentation identifying the issue as a result of ice damming.

At this time I was informed the mold and wrought would not be covered. Please explain to me how ice damming is covered but the damages from the ice damming are not covered... or how a contractor who can't identify a range hood vent from a shower vent can determine my claim? Am I really to accept my claim was denied without an actual qualified person looking at the issue.

Updated on July 19, 2018: My latest conversation was this: Travelers cannot determine the cause of the damage. I advised the adjustor I had three subject matter experts identify the problem for them and provide documentation confirming ice damming. I advised no claim was submitted at the exact moment of ice damming as I do not conduct daily home inspections. While I recognise mold is not covered under my policy, water was absorbed into the attic through ice damming and the affected area was not fixed previously.

The adjustor stated this type of damage wouldn't occur from ice damming (but they can't identify the cause). According to Travelers, if ice damming caused water to enter into the attic everything would have dried up without damage. Therefore, the subject matter experts are wrong and there is an unidentified issue that magically appeared 21 yrs after the house was built but again not ice damming. Traveler's adjustors opinions apparently trump experts in determining your claim. As far as Travelers is concerned this incident is not covered.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our roof leaked after several severe thunderstorms while we were away. It created a huge stain on the foyer ceiling and hardwood floors. Who know what kind of mess it made in the insulation and obviously, the water didn’t come from pipes or air conditioner as they are on the complete opposite side of the house. Inspector came with drones. Examined roof. Said no visible damage. Really? Did you miss the stain on the ceiling, the stain on the wood floors and the damp smell in the attic?

He said - "...this is about $800 worth of damage. And your deductible is $500 and I’ll put a claim in for you, but they may dump you". So after 18 years of spending $2400 a month for exact replacement insurance plus contents with not a single claim... And let me add that we cleaned up after several storms in the past removing trees etc on our own bill... That this was their idea of helping us when we had real damage? $800 my **. So $11, 000 for a new roof, $ 1200 for drywall repair, $300 to repaint the ceiling, and god only knows how much to fix the floor, all I have to say is bye-bye Travelers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Telephone and online response is good, especially like access to documents via online App. Discounts are applied for multiple events, like driver training, multiple policies, etc.

Original review: June 9, 2018

After hurricane Sandy they sent a team in to handle claims, great job. The people that handled our claim cared - truly a great experience.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have trusted them for over 30 years with all my properties. Once my house burned down and they were wonderful and understanding. I have no complaints.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Travelers insurance offers excellent rates for first time homebuyers who are taking on extra financial responsibility. When I called around to compare rates, Travelers had the best to offer for the same amount of coverage as its major competitors.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As far a value Travelers' great. Less expensive than the Hartford through AARP and others I compared with the same coverage. I have both car and homeowners insurance through this company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a firm believer in insurance if the need ever arises. I am basically happy with our homeowners insurance except for a few minor hiccups. We did have a long battle with Travelers over the replacement value of the house. They wanted to use the assessed value of the home. The assessed value includes the property that the home sets on. Unless there is a major holocaust, the dirt the house sets on probably does not need to be insured. We cannot afford earthquake coverage and it is not offered at a reasonable price.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been having my property insurance with Travelers for last fourteen years. Prior to buying (closing) back in 06/2004; Travelers appraised the property through a company of their choice with living area of 2,294 square feet. I recently contacted the appraisal company and they have provided me all documentation to prove 2,294 square feet as living/building area. Since my renewal date of the policy is in June and I called Travelers to review the policy. I was shocked to know; as per Travelers record; the living/building area of the property is 2,909 square footage instead 2,294 square footage. The Travelers guy told me; it was underwriter fault. Then he advised me to contact the local county office to get the plat (drawing) of the property. I was able to get the certified copy of the plat as well as copy of the public record of the property from County office.

I submitted all these documents to Travelers to be reviewed by underwriters team. After waiting of ten days; I made follow up with Travelers; still underwriters team was failed to come up with verdict. I did not make any change/modification in the property since 2004. Travelers made me to pay extra premium for the difference in square footage as well as rebuilding (dwelling) cost of the property. I have made about fifteen phone calls and spent hours of my precious time with stress and strain as it was huge monetary loss to me due to Travelers mistake. I have paid my premium on time putting my trust in Travelers with no claim in fourteen years. My dispute is still dangling in the air with no resolution by Travelers. I got ten different opinions from fifteen different people from Travelers.

Now I got premium quote from another insurance competitor and they gave me premium quote about $250 less than what I am paying to Travelers per year because of the discrepancy. And this company used public record of the property from the County website. I will wait for a few more days for Travelers to come up with resolution to my satisfaction. They should either make the correction in the record or they should send an independent appraiser to appraise the property at their cost. And they should refund my money back otherwise I will take my business (auto and umbrella policies) to another insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I filed a claim with them because I got rear-ended and this is the company that the other driver had (I have always had Mercury). I spoke to a CSR at the 800 number and after a preliminary conversation was told I would be contacted by an investigator. After a week of going back and forth with Tamika the investigator I get a call from another agent, Christina, who is from an office in my state asking me questions I had already gone over twice, once with the person at the 800 number and again with Tamika. There was NO HANDOFF from Tamika to Christina the adjuster and I had NO IDEA at this point that Travelers was having an issue reaching the person who hit me to get a statement or photos of their car - I just got a random call from the NEXT person who assumed 1) I knew who she was, 2) I knew that my case had been transferred and 3) that I knew what she was talking about.

So now I'm talking to a person who is 'local' to me which just meant their office happened to be in my state (I live in Southern California, she was in Central/North Cali) and Christina tells me the photos I provided to Tamika are dark and they can't see my car. I took the photos around 9am while at work on full sunlight on a beautiful California day... What exactly is dark Christina?

I had gotten an estimate from the body shop my dealership uses exclusively and provided this to Travelers. I spoke to a few other people from this insurance company and they all assured me I would have no issues and they would provide OEM parts. Long story short - they didn't and when I tried to remedy the issue with Christina and her Supervisor Justin from the Rancho Cordova office they REFUSED, and I mean flat out REFUSED to make it right. They showed zero ethical remorse for the fact I had been given bad information from another Travelers agent and told me 'it’s their policy' and that they weren't going to try and do anything. Overall, I was basically lied to, treated like I didn't matter as a customer, was ignored, dismissed and left having to deal with the consequences OF THEIR shortcomings on my new car.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

After having a pipe burst in our wall, we called our insurance company to file a claim. The property claim agent with whom I spoke addressed my concerns immediately and walked me through the claims process. It was a manageable process and was handled by Travelers quickly and efficiently. The agent has been available when we have questions or concern. I will recommend Travelers in the future and have recommended Travelers in the past. I find the service reliable and the products very comparable to other companies in coverage and pricing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They were right here when a tree fell on my roof. They saw the tree and asked if it was my tree or the neighbors and I told them It was mine and cut a check right there and then.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In PA , the Supreme Court ruled (in favor of policyholders)... 1) that the insurer did not have a reasonable basis for denying benefits under the policy and (2) that the insurer knew or recklessly disregarded its lack of a reasonable basis in denying the claim... Travelers is so arrogant they believe this does not apply to them. As a policy holder, filing a claim for a pinhole copper pipe leak under my main bathroom (only) shower tub, I noticed dripping and called Travelers to explain the situation and ask for the proper steps to take to avoid claim problems. I hung up immediately, called the plumber and the water to the main bathroom was shut off.

Two days later the claims adjuster evaluates the visual only damages, writes a check minus the deductible and depreciation and tells me plumbing costs are not included. I ask him what if hidden damage is uncovered. His response is he can’t see behind walls. If I find anything further to call him. I have no information regarding MOISTURE METERS.

There is a problem, the demolition contractor removes the water damaged area and finds the beginning of mold growth and the entire (small home) finished basement is gutted. So sad for me that suddenly the claims adjuster is unavailable, sick, in training, etc. I speak with his supervisor and am told my moldy house is not his problem. I report him and the adjuster to travelers consumer affairs and ask to speak to management. I called repeatedly until “the director” called me who demanded to know who authorized me to do this work. Why was not a lab mold sample taken, etc. He was speaking in such a loud voice. I raised my volume and said it was visible mold, not hidden. He then proceeds to tell me I am yelling. :)

And I don’t know what I am doing and he has been doing this for twenty years - CLICK I had to hang up as it was clear I was not going to have a valid basis for denial. So here is what is in my policy and mold removal related to an incident (not neglect), hauling away of debris and damaged property, law and ordinance up to 10% (in building cavity return duct to HVAC removed) and living expenses (no shower). Refusal of claim payment without a reasonable basis for denial and reckless disregard for a reasonable basis = BAD FAITH INSURANCE COMPANY. My first step is reporting Travelers to the PA department of insurance. My next step if this can not be resolved with the state regulations, I will hire a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

It is very unfortunate to see that an insurance company that you hardly ever deal with (because that's the nature of the business) is not there when you need them the most. When it comes to liability, they protect the insurance company, not the insured person. Zero stars for having the lowest standards when determining if the insured person is liable or not. Hardly no investigation and very rude way of dealing with the customer.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Can a fiberglass insulation problem in my house that developed, Travelers Insurance refused to cover the damage to fiberglass has caused. They stated that it was faulty, inadequate or defective. They have so many exclusions in their policy to get out of paying any type of damages. You'd be better off going with another Insurance Company. I'm sorry I ever hooked up with these people.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

BEEN WITH TRAVELERS HOMEOWNERS (2 properties) for 26 years... Had two claims, one in 2015 and one in 2017. Because of these claims they chose not to renew my policy. Seems illegal... I have paid them for one home premiums over 26 years totaling $213,200 and the claims totaled $27,000. One for water damage and one for a small fire in geothermal system. I would give them 0 stars and recommend homeowners do not go with Travelers. Find a more reputable company. There is no loyalty to customers. I have submitted a complaint to the State of Mass.!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have never had an accident caused by me ever. I had a lady hit my car in Sewickley PA. Travelers Insurance never ever investigated it and you can ask Sewickley police department. They never paid a medical bill I had from being hit and hurt on McKnight road in Pittsburgh PA. They sent me a nonrenewal letter and now wherever I apply for insurance it’s very high for doing nothing wrong. No justice in America this time around. I have filed a complaint with the state of PA and they right to know. Let’s see if I get justice. If not you will see me on KDKA about this matter.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I gave Travelers Insurance 1 star, because there were no zeros. I bought homeowners insurance from Travelers. They lured me in with a good price. A few weeks later an insurance under-writer was running all over my private property taking pictures. I then got a notice that describing the exercise bike and garden pots on my porch as trash. I had 14 days to get rid of the stuff, make a number of other repairs and throw out the bricks I was saving to do my driveway. When I didn't get it done in time, Travelers cancelled my insurance and told my mortgage company. Stay away! This is insurance WITH a hassle. Bad faith company. They forgot they work you!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I sustained hail damage to my roof. My claim was first denied due to no damage, I then had a licensed roofer confirm there was damage. Travelers agreed to come back out with the roofer, however only agreed to pay for partial roof replacement which leaves my home looking terrible. I will have mismatched roof and live in an HOA where this will not be approved. All other major carriers in my area agreed to replace the homeowner's entire roof! MY HOA will not accept this and Travelers was very argumentative when I tried to discuss this with them. I am now going to leave the carrier!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

They gladly take your large sum of money each year, but don't ever try to actually use your insurance. First time trying to file a claim in 30 years of home ownership and they do everything possible not to pay. We pay them near $6000 a year for all our different coverage and all that we get are lies and arrogance from the claim adjuster and his boss. I can't begin to say how HORRIBLE their service is. Taking our business elsewhere and going to do everything I can to cost them as much business as possible. Hope saving the $3000 or so was worth it to them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought an almost 1400 dollar policy on my house that was supposedly covering everything. We had some damage to our door during the Irma storm which caused the water from the rain to also leak in and cause floor damage on top of that. After I contacted my insurance they created a claim and I had to call them for weeks to never get a call back from my claim specialist and finally I received a letter that stated they didn't cover anything caused by nature, humans, plants, animals, etc. so I realized that my coverage was a joke and called and cancelled my policy. The funny part is that 15 minutes after cancellation I received a call from the claim specialist who wouldn't call me back for weeks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Be aware, this company plain and simple violate the law, if you have a lost, first step don't allowed them to send you an adjuster of their own. They are incompetents and irresponsibles. They never will return calls etc, use your right to hire a public adjuster. He will be fair, it is your right but homeowners don't know, they will cheat you and they will cheat the contractor, they refuse to pay for the contractor overhead and profits, even when there is the invented rule of tree trades, even when the job is complex, anyway that have nothing to do with overhead and profits, they don't respect the Texas law requires insurance to paid when a contractor have been hire by a homeowners, by not paying they are practically Stealing from the homeowner and the contractor, this affect the homeowner for quality and warranties etc. I am about to sue this company for malpractice and cheating. Beware. Stay away from this crooks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It makes me feel secure and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The price of coverage I have is very fair, only about $200 and something a year. If I did ever have to make a claim, which I hope never happens, I'd receive the benefits I've been paying for all these years. But I have no reason not to trust Travelers.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information