Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Travelers Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.73/5

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: July 8, 2020

I purchased a homeowner's policy from Travelers earlier this year, believing I had bought comprehensive coverage, only to discover that water damage to my home was not covered because the water came in to the home from the outside. (Seems like an exclusion designed only to prevent payouts, for how likely is it that substantial damage would come from water inside the home). Prior to notifying me that coverage would be denied, they told me to call one of their preferred water mitigation companies - which did the work but wouldn't give me an estimate at the time of service, saying they "would provide the estimate directly to Travelers." Subsequently got stuck with what seems like an inflated bill for a service I would have sought other bids for. Travelers has lost me as a customer for life. I would discourage others from using Travelers.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I recently purchase a home insurance through Travelers and it was the biggest mistake I ever done. The customer service are not knowledgeable and not emphatic with my needs. They easily dismiss your concern. Claims are not resolve in timely matter and very difficult to dealt with. Worst company ever and I do not wish anyone to go through the hassle that I’ve been through with this company!!!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2020

A customer with for 20 years with auto, personal, umbrella and homeowners. I Experienced a sewage backup in my bathroom. My condo association was at my property with another plumber. We reached to file a claim with Miguel ** claim manager Travelers both from the condo manager and myself. He specifically denied the claim by saying my insurance did not cover this peril and would send a letter to me stating such. The condo manager was Ethan **. This constant denial went on for a while till I was able to contact Stephen **, a claims manager who pulled my coverage, emailed me the specific documents, and pointed out the specific peril under which it was covered. He stated that the representatives were in error and my I was covered 100%. Fast forward to reimbursing me for the loss Travelers refused to pay for certain specific damages, even though all 3 bids submitted included the losses.

I escalated to the State Commissioner of Insurance where Stephen ** implicitly lied and stated that Travelers never officially denied coverage but rather were waiting for all the facts to come. This is indeed 100 % false and both Ethan ** and myself will testify under oath the veracity of our claim. Travelers was vexatious, refused to cover the full amount of the claim and engaged in coercive practice with my vendors. I wish to hold Travelers accountable. Regards, Steve

Original review: May 26, 2020

Warning to Travelers customers!! Did you know, you are not allowed to sell your home?? I have been a Travelers customer with multiple policies for close to thirty years. I have insured at least three of my homes if not four throughout those thirty years with Travelers. Never once was I made aware that selling your home makes you ineligible for being insured by Travelers. Did you know that? You could pay insurance for your homeowners policy for many many years and then if they find out you are putting your house on the market they will cancel you.

I have sold two or three homes while being insured by travelers and I never knew this. I actually moved from Connecticut to Missouri, put my house in Connecticut up for sale while I was living in Missouri. The house in Connecticut was unoccupied and on the market and still insured. Recently I called Travelers after getting a quote for renters insurance by another company, to give Travelers the opportunity for the business. I am a loyal Travelers customer! I am renting an apartment 2 minutes from my house to move some of my belongings into while we prepare our home for going on the market.

Once the house sells we will move into the apartment. My making that phone call created Travelers to cancel my policy. That’s right the fact that I am a loyal Travelers customer is biting me in the butt! They assumed my house was unoccupied and so they canceled. I called to let them know that it was not unoccupied and that we were just preparing it for the market. They called underwriting and this one underwriter is digging her heels in and saying that she is will not remove the cancellation. So the fact that I called to let them know that we are preparing to put it on the market is now the reason they’re canceling. Not because it’s unoccupied, which was never the case that was an assumption on their part caused by my phone call because I am a loyal Travelers customer, now it’s because I am planning to put it on the market!!!

Be careful of the company to whom you are loyal! Thirty years of loyalty and they are kicking me to the curb for something that is done all day every day. How many people do you know lose their homeowners insurance because they put their house on the market? I’ve never heard of that! I called a realtor friend and they had never heard of that! And Travelers themselves admitted to me that they never tell you that!

They admitted that the fact that you are not allowed to sell your home is not in your policy manual and the salesperson who sells you your homeowners policy does not tell you, you only find out if you’re a loyal customer and are honest with them. I guess the message I should take from Travelers is don’t tell the truth if you are going to put your home on the market and all is okay, cause if they find out about it they’ll cancel you!! That is basically what I was told. I thought the best practices were honesty and loyalty, not in this case, not with Travelers!!

Original review: April 21, 2020

On July 28, 2019 a straight line wind ripped through our neighborhood causing damage to the left side of my house, as well as other structures in my yard and backyard from fallen trees. A huge tree about 150 feet tall, fell onto the left side of my house and porch and caused the whole house to shake. I was not able to exit my house from the front as the tree had fallen on the porch and steps. We called Travelers and was told it was ok to have the tree removed and so we did before the adjuster came. An adjuster from travelers came out and assessed the damage about a week or two later. He assessed the damage to the roof, fascia and fence etc.

We also pointed out that there was damage to the porch and that the porch had shifted to the right, which is obvious to see.... The adjuster didn't think that was from the tree but said we could submit it as a supplement once we started repairs. He also made a comment that he overwrites the estimates so maybe he could take the family on a vacation. Our contractor verified that indeed the force of the tree moved the porch. He stabilized the roof and porch until we could make the needed repairs. He found that the left side of the porch header is compromised, The posts shifted and aren't level as they were level before the tree hit the porch (we used him last year to build our garage and he verified that in fact the porch shifted from last year before the tree hit) and the footing is sunken.

He submitted a supplemental estimate for the porch and it was denied due to the policy not covering preexisting deterioration or wear and tear. The house is an older house and after removing the ceiling on the porch, he had found deterioration, wear and improper construction that we weren't aware of as everything was covered up. Even though there was preexisting concerns, the porch was stable before the tree hit. Now we need to resupport the porch as it shifted because the tree fell and was laying on it. I contacted his supervisor and explained the situation. I asked if he could look at the pictures of the tree on the house and see that there was no way that didn't shift the porch and to compare pictures of the house before and after because it's obvious it shifted from the tree. He said he had pictures and asked that my contractor contact him.

After their discussion he wanted to send out a structural engineer. The engineer came and met with us and our contractor. He did agree that the tree definitely did damage to the porch but there was also underlying structural concerns. They agreed but we did not know about the structural concerns as they were hidden. The issue here is that the tree falling put pressure on the porch and caused it to shift and become unstable. We would not need to do any repairs to the porch at this time if the tree had not fallen. After not hearing anything for about a week I called on 4/06/2020 and was told, "Oh yea I was going to send you a letter soon, we are not covering any additional damage because your policy excludes wear and tear and deterioration."

I was surprised, as after hearing what the engineer said, I thought they would at least cover the damage the tree did to the porch. He sent me a letter, and what the engineer wrote was different as to what he said to us when he assessed the damage. He also said he compared pictures from before and after and didn't see a difference. I asked if they could meet me in the middle and help with the porch as it seems unfair that the tree caused damage and now we are on our own for repairing it. He said there was nothing he could do. I then asked what my next step was and if I needed to get a lawyer... He said that was my choice. My complaint is that these underlying concerns were hidden and the force of the tree falling is what caused the porch to move and essentially caused it to be unstable and unsafe.

This is bad business as they are using this to their advantage in order not to pay for the damage the tree caused. This is very unfair to myself the consumer. Why am I paying for insurance if they aren't going to cover damage that was done to the house by an external force? Also going back to the comment the adjuster said... We don't want it overwritten to go on vacation, we are looking to have enough money to cover the repairs needed from the damage of the tree and storm. I am appalled that is even happening and that I need to fight this. My contractor verified that the porch was not shifted before the tree fell and also neighbors have verified it as it's plain to see with your eye. After this we got a letter from travelers saying we are here to help during this trying time. What a joke....especially during this time after I am out of work. I don't have the extra money to pay for repairs that a storm caused. Isnt that what insurance is for??

Original review: April 15, 2020

I was under policy with Travelers for one year. Our home is 25 yrs old and is in solid condition but we are making updates and repairs as we can. At the end of the term they declined to renew my policy due to the age of the roof. This came as such a shock because they had pictures of the home at signing and we had no contact from them all year regarding any concerns. They asked for more pictures which I sent but said they were not sufficient. They stated they tried to do an inspection but could not get in. I was never aware of such an attempt until days before the policy was to expire. They never attempted to contact me to have access to my fenced and gated property.

I sent new pictures that I obtained by climbing on my vehicle, they also were not accepted. They never let me know until I reached out to them with less than 2 days on my policy that they still declined to renew. I found their correspondence to be cold and unappreciative to me as a customer and very unprofessional with their conduct and service. I do not recommend using this company at all.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I signed up with Travelers home insurance in 2018 and in 2020 my rate increased by more than 25%. I had no claims on this property during this period and Travelers/GEICO agent could not explain why, except that Travelers did a rate increase for Indiana properties. I was also told that maybe it is before of the claim in 2017, but that claim was known to Travelers when I signed up with them in 2018.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I've been with Traveler's Homeowner's insurance through GEICO for 12 yrs - they just raised my insurance 20% though property values have only increased 2.1%. Last year they jacked it over 19%, 7.4% the year before. In last 3 yrs, they've jacked it over 53%! I totally get the insurance game, but I'm done playing it. So I'm dumping them and shopping around.

Original review: March 16, 2020

At the end of November, we became aware that the neighbor's shower above us was leaking into our kitchen. We immediately notified our building management and our personal agent and provided pictures. Our building had to locate the leak and then provide us with mold remediation and testing through the building insurance. Then it became time to deal with the damage inside my kitchen which was not part of the original construction when we moved into the coop. This included replacing drywall, some custom cabinetry, and painting.

Our adjuster used every excuse in the book, including outright lying about our conversations and conversations she had with our building management. She even threatened to deny our claim. All this for a claim that was under $10K. I was not treated like a valued customer that had been paying this policy for years but like a dishonest thief who was trying to take something that was not mine. We were with a kitchen for three months. Each time the adjuster had an issue her response was "I'll get back to you next week." Never again. I'm done.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have been in the home-buying process for several weeks and planned to get my homeowners insurance through Travelers. I am 6 days out from my closing date and I just got off the phone with them and was informed that they will no longer offer me a policy because I have a dog who is part Pitbull (breed, not the musician). I understand company policy, even if it is incredibly dumb policy, but for them to pull the rug out from under me 6 days before my closing date is completely unacceptable and is plain bad business. Do not use them if you want someone reliable.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information