Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Travelers Homeowners Insurance
3.75/5

Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

208 Travelers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I filed a claim in April due to water damage to my master's bathroom of which was leaking from the upstairs to the garage below. Only to learn that the spout/valve from the garden tub caused water to leak on the sub-floor and structural insulated panel which lead to mold growth. Subsequently, I informed my adjuster of the situation and got the okay to move forward with remedied cleaning/repair/replacement of the damaged done to my property. However, due to the Short Scope estimate from Travelers I haven't been able to move forward with the repair and replacement of my bathroom floor, garden tub, insulated panel and vanity.

Furthermore, my assigned Travelers adjuster has failure to act promptly to handle my claim efficiently and effectively. Whereas, a gaping hole remains around the pipe drain area of my garden tub plumbing. Sadly, my claim has been delayed due to lack of correspondence and I have yet to receive any resolution. In the meantime, The Restoration Company has been patient, polite and forthcoming with pictures, documents and a repair scope.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Do not buy insurance from this HORRIBLE company. If you have to file a claim, after over TEN of paying your premium, IT WILL BE HELL. They hire complete idiots whose only purpose is to save the company money and make your life miserable. RUN TO A DIFFERENT COMPANY FOR YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I had a large crack in my slab in the garage and while I was working to fix it I found a huge root under the slab. It was obviously the cause of the problem and I filed a claim. Two claims adjusters came out to review the problem and took a ton of photos. After four days they called to say the cause of the problem was EARTHY MOVEMENT! WHAT?? Didn't you see the huge root? Yes we did, but the earth movement may be related to the tree root, but it was nonetheless related to earth movement and that is not covered by your policy. I have had the policy with Travelers for over 30 years and have never filed a claim, so I guess I have not had insurance all of these years because if they don't cover this what do they cover. My policy on this house and two other homes will be cancelled as soon as this is settled, probably in court!

Original review: July 10, 2019

Building next door under massive renovation. They had contractor spray paint and other chemicals to upgrade large outdoor parking garage. As a result, cloud of super potent fumes for more than 5 days seeped into my apartment. Family couldn’t breathe and become lightheaded immediately. Have 6 month old baby at home. Have to protect child’s health. Immediately went to hotel. Specifically paid up for Loss of Use coverage on my policy. Filed claim and Travelers denied. Will have to hire public adjuster or sue and call local media to let public know that this company does not cover you for anything. ONLY sucks your money! They don’t care about you or your family! AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Sewage back up, put in claim. First thing out of his mouth is "I'm not paying that." I asked about hotel for 2 days while they do repairs. He said, "No I don't see you need that." But I cannot use my facilities, shower, **, shave, but no. So I call up Travelers and yes, I'm covered for hotel if my home cannot be used but it's up to the claims adjuster to determine. But they determine I don't need to shower and the use of facilities. Paid my deductible, not sure if they will pay anything. Will have to get a lawyer, loss of time from work etc. I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM TRAVELERS AS YOU CAN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: July 1, 2019

WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with. The AC in the unit beside mine blew up and caused my AC unit to malfunction (they are beside one another). State Farm immediately investigated the unit beside mine and reimbursed my neighbour's losses while Travelers denied my claim and said it was 'wear and tear' even though there was indisputable evidence that it was as a result of the unit beside mine. The investigator did not bring appropriate tools to look at the water damage (he only surfacely looked at the walls, which were brown with stains from the unit beside mine). I complained to Mr. Willard ** and Mr. Rod **, both of which were incompetent and ignored the substantive evidence I presented to them. As a result, I will have to pursue litigation with them. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Opted to not renew my policy because they claimed I didn't submit requested info in a timely manner. I have proof that I submitted the info a year previously. When I spoke to a rep from Geico he said they opted to not renew because of one prior claim from water damage that amounted to $2500. Somebody is not telling the truth. I'm confident it is Travelers (a faceless, poor service, forever-on-hold, greedy [$28.902 billion in revenue in 2017], big business company) who is to blame here. This company will CANCEL your policy with one small claim. DO NOT use them.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We purchased our home in 2017 and had it insured by Travelers referred by Geico. In 2018 our home suffered a house fire which destroyed enough of the property for us to have to temporarily relocate while repairs were completed. Every aspect of the process in working with Travelers was exhausting, while our initial agent was generally helpful and clear it was also very clear that we had to put in a lot of extra work and examine every detail very carefully to make sure we were not getting ripped off and that we were capturing the amount due to restore us to 'whole'.

The personal property side was a far worse experience than dealing with the home loss and repair. The personal property agent with Travelers was inconsistent in her communication with us, recommended a shady company to 'restore' our clothing and soft goods called FRSteam. Who cleaned all of our items after we had specifically asked them to not do so until we confirmed exactly which items we wanted to have cleaned.

During the home repair process our property was then broken into and a number of things stolen from the shed on the property. This resulted in another new claim having to be filed because Travelers said it was UNRELATED to the fire loss. The only reason we suffered theft was due to our home being empty, which was due to fire loss, so, do the math. This additional claim then gave them the perfect reason to justify dropping our coverage as soon as they could. We are looking for a new insurance policy for our home now, and hope we never have to deal with Travelers again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have had the same insurance since we bought our house 1991 (Geico to Travelers). We tried to claim 3 times but were denied all three times for various nonsense reasons. We had mold appear under our house and they said it was from groundwater and wasn't covered. When I said they were worthless, complained that we have been customers for 27 years and they have denied every claim he said, "Well, if it makes you feel any better your first 2 would now have a partial reimbursement." NO... it did not make me feel better. So I told him so and said... So I guess this claim will be covered in 10 years but that won't do me any good. This cost us $3,800 and they didn't cover a dime even though we had $5K in mold damage coverage. They are horrible and will do everything in their power to not pay a claim. Stay away and go to another insurance company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

They're a bunch of thief's! Was only with them for 10 months. They always try and come up with different ways and reasons to raise rates and not just a little they try and ** people over the coles. They tried to raise our home insurance over a supposed "inspection" to almost a thousand more a year. The inspector reported we had a hip roof. Lie it's a a gable. They tried to say we had wood siding. WRONG. It's vinyl. They tried and said we had a 2 car garage. WRONG. It's a one car. They tried to say we had wood floors. Wrong. They never even saw the inside of the house and were never at my house to begin with.

When we asked them when they did their inspection they lied as we checked our security cameras was never at our house. When we confronted them about it they lied and said they need to reschedule their inspection... Then when we cancelled them for lying they kept charging us for our auto saying we owed them money. Had to call the bank and revoke authorization. Bottom line THEY'RE A BUNCH OF LYING IDIOTS. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH A INSURANCE COMPANY THAT DOES WORKERS COMP ON THE SIDE....

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I switched to Travelers recently. I was told a outside inspection needed to be completed. The inspector harassed me on my cell phone via text messages demanding to come inside my home. After back and forth messages I asked him why he needed to come in to the house when we were told it was just an outside inspection. He said he gets paid more money if we let him in the house. I was appalled at that response and contacted Travelers to report this response and said he was very pushy. They apologized. Would you believe they sent the exact guy out to do the inspection? Then they decided to cancel our policy because "our current siding is stained" and there was debris in our driveway. Keep in mind his visit was just after a storm. Seems a little coincidental maybe even spiteful? Don't even bother calling to get explanations, you will just waste your time.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My wife and I were in the camp fire. We saw our whole town burn to the ground including 17,000 houses and 288 businesses. We made it out safe but had no idea what to do. Travelers helped us in everything we needed. Corey was a wonderful adjuster and he was a life changer. He provided the immediate assistance through the company with no haggle or hassle. He also gave us great insights and ideas that greatly helped us move on. "I always have heard horror stories about insurance companies. This insurance company took us from a horror story to future hope and quality of living."

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I'm a single working mom with a handicapped child and have had homeowners insurance with Travelers for 30 plus years and 6 houses later with few claims... I had 2 pipes burst from a malfunction in a pressure switch that created a sudden pressure change in the pipes and they burst causing a tremendous amount of water damage to my home in my crawl space, my floors and mold growing everywhere from them leaving my house sitting with no action taken during warm, high humidity level conditions! My hardwood floors cupped and have become discolored, my laminates are peeling up, my carpet is damaged, my insulation remains down and some in tact but still wet against my subfloors and we are facing a Arctic freeze that could cause even more damage!...

I live in an older home but had none of this until the pipe burst! I didn't see a adjuster for 10 days, I kept calling concerned about the standing water under my house and mold from the high humidity levels at that time and they gave me ServiceMaster's number (7 days later) whom I called and they came out next day and gave a very scary report of tremendous damage and mold growth!... Mold continued to grow!!! I heard nothing and continued to reach out to them out of concern as my house continued to show more damage and mold growth. The first adjuster finally came 10 days later but still nothing was done! They sent a second adjuster out 2 weeks later who says there was no evidence of any standing water in my home and ignored my plumber, the first adjuster, ServiceMaster and hygienist reports!

I feel very taken advantage of as a single woman! He put us in a hotel while putting me in contact with a relocation company to find housing for 4-6 months while my house would be mitigated... My handicapped daughter had a major surgery and I had to bring her home to the hotel!... Then they denied my claim and gave me 12 hour notice that I had to be out of the hotel and we had to go home to a mold infested house that had been sitting for a long period of time growing more and more mold closed up and more damage surfacing to the floors! I also pay for loss of use and never received, or was offered, reimbursement for gas/mileage, food, etc while displaced. I am far from furious!!! They don't deserve even 1 star!!! SINGLE MOM OF HANDICAPPED CHILD... POLICY HOLDER FOR 30 PLUS YEARS, 6 HOUSES LATER, FEW CLAIMS AND DENIED SUDDEN BURST PIPE CLAIM!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Their refuse to cover my content loss from a leaking roof that has been dry for the past five years. Hurricane winds and torrential rain tore loose shingles and damaged the roof causing excessive water damage from rainwater coming from the roof. They determined that my dry interior had to have been wet because a Google image from 2012 prior to a resale, showed loose shingles? So my damaged furnishings are not covered. Even though the roof hasn’t leaked since my occupancy in 2013?

It’s disgusting that they can get away with this. Yes, it’s an old roof, but it didn’t leak until the shingles were ripped off in high winds and it should be covered. Plus, I have mold remediation. The adjuster told me the mold was old on my beams and boxes and took a long time to grow? Mold grows in 24-48 hours and spreads rapidly. So what is he talking about? Do not use this company!!! Horrible experience. Pay money to insure my furnishings and they don’t cover the loss??

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We have GEICO car insurance and we wanted to up our homeowner’s insurance in case anything ever happened to our custom home. GEICO contacted me about their offering of homeowner’s insurance and they connected us with Travelers Insurance. We are now paying three times the amount per year for our policy, but I believed this meant we would receive good coverage if needed. How wrong I was to believe that Travelers was a good insurance company! Our problem began when we decided to remove our older built-in refrigerator and decided to put in a Subzero. When the installer came out and removed the refrigerator, mold was found on the wall behind it. We never knew we had a water or mold issue because it was hidden by the refrigerator.

I immediately called Travelers Insurance as well as a remediation company. I was told over the phone that Travelers would cover up to $5000 for the remediation and that we had a $2500 deductible. We were fine with it. The Travelers claims adjuster I was assigned to was too lazy to come visit our property. Instead, he asked me if I had an iPhone and if I would download an app to my phone so he could virtually take pictures on his iPad via my phone. I complied. The remediation company then proceeded to do everything they needed to do, ripping out cabinets, drywall, etc. They did an excellent job.

A third party company came out after several days of clearing out the mold and all of it was gone. Days later I received a call from the Travelers adjuster stating that our claim was denied. He mentioned that "the mold on our brick flooring looked like it had been a while". I told him there was ZERO mold on our brick, and what he was looking at was actually painted brick that had black paint splats. The unprofessionalism and lack of care from Travelers Home Insurance astounds me. Do not choose them for your coverage!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I am happy with Travelers. It offers coverage better than I had at a better price, and was convenient to purchase online. Their first proposal exceeded the coverage I had and saved me 600 dollars a year. My agent and the company have been completely accommodating to fulfill my wishes and needs regarding my homeowners insurance. They were very patient to fully explain all aspects I asked about.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Ridiculous stalling period to send my refund. My money. Sold home Sept 4. Called them Sept 8. Inform me I would receive a refund of $1184. It takes 7-10 days. Ok fine. Called Back Sept 23, told me wait 30 days. If they stop payment it’ll take another 30 days. It’s Oct 2. No check.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

As with another reviewer, I had a water leak (early 2018) in a line in my third bathroom that I needed to file a claim for because the damage entailed: wall/ ceiling/baseboard removal and drying. The agent that I worked with did a great job in helping me through the process. That is not my issue. My issue comes with my premium getting raised over 50% because of this one claim. I've been with Travelers since 2012.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

They have their own adjusters who make estimates, but no specialist to determine what the problem is. They don't agree with the estimates of the repair specialist. Why don't they provide the repairs specialist that works directly with Travelers? I am not renewing my policy. Claims Department is really bad.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been with Travelers for 10 years and had a great experience recently till I had 2 small claims for water damage. One for my water heater which happened about 2-3 years ago and another for a leak from my roof into my kitchen back in June. I get a call yesterday saying they are not renewing my coverage because of these 2 small claims happened within 3 years. Unless you have a huge claim I wouldn't put in any small claims. I had high marks for Travelers till now.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I recently discovered an issue with my roof. A mold specialist identified the issue as a leak, which was confirmed by my roofer as ice damming. I was provided letters from my roofer stating the installation was to specs and the roof was not covered in mold/wrought when replaced 7 yrs ago, and a letter from the shingle company explaining ice damming.

I contacted my assigned adjuster Rob ** with Travelers who sent out a contractor to assess the damages. While speaking with the adjuster he informed me ice damming would essentially collapse a roof which is contrary to the shingle company's explanation. The contractor incorrectly identified a range hood vent as a shower vent. I was then informed by the adjuster the damages were a result of moisture from my shower and therefore not covered. I requested the contractor re-assess the situation and I would turn on the fans to show it was a range hood vent (cooking grilled cheese clearly wouldn't cause 1/4 of my roof to leak, wrought and mold) and I offered to provide the documentation identifying the issue as a result of ice damming.

At this time I was informed the mold and wrought would not be covered. Please explain to me how ice damming is covered but the damages from the ice damming are not covered... or how a contractor who can't identify a range hood vent from a shower vent can determine my claim? Am I really to accept my claim was denied without an actual qualified person looking at the issue.

Updated on July 19, 2018: My latest conversation was this: Travelers cannot determine the cause of the damage. I advised the adjustor I had three subject matter experts identify the problem for them and provide documentation confirming ice damming. I advised no claim was submitted at the exact moment of ice damming as I do not conduct daily home inspections. While I recognise mold is not covered under my policy, water was absorbed into the attic through ice damming and the affected area was not fixed previously.

The adjustor stated this type of damage wouldn't occur from ice damming (but they can't identify the cause). According to Travelers, if ice damming caused water to enter into the attic everything would have dried up without damage. Therefore, the subject matter experts are wrong and there is an unidentified issue that magically appeared 21 yrs after the house was built but again not ice damming. Traveler's adjustors opinions apparently trump experts in determining your claim. As far as Travelers is concerned this incident is not covered.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our roof leaked after several severe thunderstorms while we were away. It created a huge stain on the foyer ceiling and hardwood floors. Who know what kind of mess it made in the insulation and obviously, the water didn’t come from pipes or air conditioner as they are on the complete opposite side of the house. Inspector came with drones. Examined roof. Said no visible damage. Really? Did you miss the stain on the ceiling, the stain on the wood floors and the damp smell in the attic?

He said - "...this is about $800 worth of damage. And your deductible is $500 and I’ll put a claim in for you, but they may dump you". So after 18 years of spending $2400 a month for exact replacement insurance plus contents with not a single claim... And let me add that we cleaned up after several storms in the past removing trees etc on our own bill... That this was their idea of helping us when we had real damage? $800 my **. So $11, 000 for a new roof, $ 1200 for drywall repair, $300 to repaint the ceiling, and god only knows how much to fix the floor, all I have to say is bye-bye Travelers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Telephone and online response is good, especially like access to documents via online App. Discounts are applied for multiple events, like driver training, multiple policies, etc.

Original review: June 9, 2018

After hurricane Sandy they sent a team in to handle claims, great job. The people that handled our claim cared - truly a great experience.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have trusted them for over 30 years with all my properties. Once my house burned down and they were wonderful and understanding. I have no complaints.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Travelers insurance offers excellent rates for first time homebuyers who are taking on extra financial responsibility. When I called around to compare rates, Travelers had the best to offer for the same amount of coverage as its major competitors.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As far a value Travelers' great. Less expensive than the Hartford through AARP and others I compared with the same coverage. I have both car and homeowners insurance through this company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a firm believer in insurance if the need ever arises. I am basically happy with our homeowners insurance except for a few minor hiccups. We did have a long battle with Travelers over the replacement value of the house. They wanted to use the assessed value of the home. The assessed value includes the property that the home sets on. Unless there is a major holocaust, the dirt the house sets on probably does not need to be insured. We cannot afford earthquake coverage and it is not offered at a reasonable price.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been having my property insurance with Travelers for last fourteen years. Prior to buying (closing) back in 06/2004; Travelers appraised the property through a company of their choice with living area of 2,294 square feet. I recently contacted the appraisal company and they have provided me all documentation to prove 2,294 square feet as living/building area. Since my renewal date of the policy is in June and I called Travelers to review the policy. I was shocked to know; as per Travelers record; the living/building area of the property is 2,909 square footage instead 2,294 square footage. The Travelers guy told me; it was underwriter fault. Then he advised me to contact the local county office to get the plat (drawing) of the property. I was able to get the certified copy of the plat as well as copy of the public record of the property from County office.

I submitted all these documents to Travelers to be reviewed by underwriters team. After waiting of ten days; I made follow up with Travelers; still underwriters team was failed to come up with verdict. I did not make any change/modification in the property since 2004. Travelers made me to pay extra premium for the difference in square footage as well as rebuilding (dwelling) cost of the property. I have made about fifteen phone calls and spent hours of my precious time with stress and strain as it was huge monetary loss to me due to Travelers mistake. I have paid my premium on time putting my trust in Travelers with no claim in fourteen years. My dispute is still dangling in the air with no resolution by Travelers. I got ten different opinions from fifteen different people from Travelers.

Now I got premium quote from another insurance competitor and they gave me premium quote about $250 less than what I am paying to Travelers per year because of the discrepancy. And this company used public record of the property from the County website. I will wait for a few more days for Travelers to come up with resolution to my satisfaction. They should either make the correction in the record or they should send an independent appraiser to appraise the property at their cost. And they should refund my money back otherwise I will take my business (auto and umbrella policies) to another insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I filed a claim with them because I got rear-ended and this is the company that the other driver had (I have always had Mercury). I spoke to a CSR at the 800 number and after a preliminary conversation was told I would be contacted by an investigator. After a week of going back and forth with Tamika the investigator I get a call from another agent, Christina, who is from an office in my state asking me questions I had already gone over twice, once with the person at the 800 number and again with Tamika. There was NO HANDOFF from Tamika to Christina the adjuster and I had NO IDEA at this point that Travelers was having an issue reaching the person who hit me to get a statement or photos of their car - I just got a random call from the NEXT person who assumed 1) I knew who she was, 2) I knew that my case had been transferred and 3) that I knew what she was talking about.

So now I'm talking to a person who is 'local' to me which just meant their office happened to be in my state (I live in Southern California, she was in Central/North Cali) and Christina tells me the photos I provided to Tamika are dark and they can't see my car. I took the photos around 9am while at work on full sunlight on a beautiful California day... What exactly is dark Christina?

I had gotten an estimate from the body shop my dealership uses exclusively and provided this to Travelers. I spoke to a few other people from this insurance company and they all assured me I would have no issues and they would provide OEM parts. Long story short - they didn't and when I tried to remedy the issue with Christina and her Supervisor Justin from the Rancho Cordova office they REFUSED, and I mean flat out REFUSED to make it right. They showed zero ethical remorse for the fact I had been given bad information from another Travelers agent and told me 'it’s their policy' and that they weren't going to try and do anything. Overall, I was basically lied to, treated like I didn't matter as a customer, was ignored, dismissed and left having to deal with the consequences OF THEIR shortcomings on my new car.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information