1.61/5
Based on 147 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

188 Travelers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

I recently discovered an issue with my roof. A mold specialist identified the issue as a leak, which was confirmed by my roofer as ice damming. I was provided letters from my roofer stating the installation was to specs and the roof was not covered in mold/wrought when replaced 7 yrs ago, and a letter from the shingle company explaining ice damming.

I contacted my assigned adjuster Rob ** with Travelers who sent out a contractor to assess the damages. While speaking with the adjuster he informed me ice damming would essentially collapse a roof which is contrary to the shingle company's explanation. The contractor incorrectly identified a range hood vent as a shower vent. I was then informed by the adjuster the damages were a result of moisture from my shower and therefore not covered. I requested the contractor re-assess the situation and I would turn on the fans to show it was a range hood vent (cooking grilled cheese clearly wouldn't cause 1/4 of my roof to leak, wrought and mold) and I offered to provide the documentation identifying the issue as a result of ice damming.

At this time I was informed the mold and wrought would not be covered. Please explain to me how ice damming is covered but the damages from the ice damming are not covered... or how a contractor who can't identify a range hood vent from a shower vent can determine my claim? Am I really to accept my claim was denied without an actual qualified person looking at the issue.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our roof leaked after several severe thunderstorms while we were away. It created a huge stain on the foyer ceiling and hardwood floors. Who know what kind of mess it made in the insulation and obviously, the water didn’t come from pipes or air conditioner as they are on the complete opposite side of the house. Inspector came with drones. Examined roof. Said no visible damage. Really? Did you miss the stain on the ceiling, the stain on the wood floors and the damp smell in the attic?

He said - "...this is about $800 worth of damage. And your deductible is $500 and I’ll put a claim in for you, but they may dump you". So after 18 years of spending $2400 a month for exact replacement insurance plus contents with not a single claim... And let me add that we cleaned up after several storms in the past removing trees etc on our own bill... That this was their idea of helping us when we had real damage? $800 my **. So $11, 000 for a new roof, $ 1200 for drywall repair, $300 to repaint the ceiling, and god only knows how much to fix the floor, all I have to say is bye-bye Travelers.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance 188 Reviews and Complaints - Read Before You Buy

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 12, 2018

Telephone and online response is good, especially like access to documents via online App. Discounts are applied for multiple events, like driver training, multiple policies, etc.

Original review: June 9, 2018

After hurricane Sandy they sent a team in to handle claims, great job. The people that handled our claim cared - truly a great experience.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have trusted them for over 30 years with all my properties. Once my house burned down and they were wonderful and understanding. I have no complaints.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: June 4, 2018

Travelers insurance offers excellent rates for first time homebuyers who are taking on extra financial responsibility. When I called around to compare rates, Travelers had the best to offer for the same amount of coverage as its major competitors.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As far a value Travelers' great. Less expensive than the Hartford through AARP and others I compared with the same coverage. I have both car and homeowners insurance through this company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a firm believer in insurance if the need ever arises. I am basically happy with our homeowners insurance except for a few minor hiccups. We did have a long battle with Travelers over the replacement value of the house. They wanted to use the assessed value of the home. The assessed value includes the property that the home sets on. Unless there is a major holocaust, the dirt the house sets on probably does not need to be insured. We cannot afford earthquake coverage and it is not offered at a reasonable price.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been having my property insurance with Travelers for last fourteen years. Prior to buying (closing) back in 06/2004; Travelers appraised the property through a company of their choice with living area of 2,294 square feet. I recently contacted the appraisal company and they have provided me all documentation to prove 2,294 square feet as living/building area. Since my renewal date of the policy is in June and I called Travelers to review the policy. I was shocked to know; as per Travelers record; the living/building area of the property is 2,909 square footage instead 2,294 square footage. The Travelers guy told me; it was underwriter fault. Then he advised me to contact the local county office to get the plat (drawing) of the property. I was able to get the certified copy of the plat as well as copy of the public record of the property from County office.

I submitted all these documents to Travelers to be reviewed by underwriters team. After waiting of ten days; I made follow up with Travelers; still underwriters team was failed to come up with verdict. I did not make any change/modification in the property since 2004. Travelers made me to pay extra premium for the difference in square footage as well as rebuilding (dwelling) cost of the property. I have made about fifteen phone calls and spent hours of my precious time with stress and strain as it was huge monetary loss to me due to Travelers mistake. I have paid my premium on time putting my trust in Travelers with no claim in fourteen years. My dispute is still dangling in the air with no resolution by Travelers. I got ten different opinions from fifteen different people from Travelers.

Now I got premium quote from another insurance competitor and they gave me premium quote about $250 less than what I am paying to Travelers per year because of the discrepancy. And this company used public record of the property from the County website. I will wait for a few more days for Travelers to come up with resolution to my satisfaction. They should either make the correction in the record or they should send an independent appraiser to appraise the property at their cost. And they should refund my money back otherwise I will take my business (auto and umbrella policies) to another insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I filed a claim with them because I got rear-ended and this is the company that the other driver had (I have always had Mercury). I spoke to a CSR at the 800 number and after a preliminary conversation was told I would be contacted by an investigator. After a week of going back and forth with Tamika the investigator I get a call from another agent, Christina, who is from an office in my state asking me questions I had already gone over twice, once with the person at the 800 number and again with Tamika. There was NO HANDOFF from Tamika to Christina the adjuster and I had NO IDEA at this point that Travelers was having an issue reaching the person who hit me to get a statement or photos of their car - I just got a random call from the NEXT person who assumed 1) I knew who she was, 2) I knew that my case had been transferred and 3) that I knew what she was talking about.

So now I'm talking to a person who is 'local' to me which just meant their office happened to be in my state (I live in Southern California, she was in Central/North Cali) and Christina tells me the photos I provided to Tamika are dark and they can't see my car. I took the photos around 9am while at work on full sunlight on a beautiful California day... What exactly is dark Christina?

I had gotten an estimate from the body shop my dealership uses exclusively and provided this to Travelers. I spoke to a few other people from this insurance company and they all assured me I would have no issues and they would provide OEM parts. Long story short - they didn't and when I tried to remedy the issue with Christina and her Supervisor Justin from the Rancho Cordova office they REFUSED, and I mean flat out REFUSED to make it right. They showed zero ethical remorse for the fact I had been given bad information from another Travelers agent and told me 'it’s their policy' and that they weren't going to try and do anything. Overall, I was basically lied to, treated like I didn't matter as a customer, was ignored, dismissed and left having to deal with the consequences OF THEIR shortcomings on my new car.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

After having a pipe burst in our wall, we called our insurance company to file a claim. The property claim agent with whom I spoke addressed my concerns immediately and walked me through the claims process. It was a manageable process and was handled by Travelers quickly and efficiently. The agent has been available when we have questions or concern. I will recommend Travelers in the future and have recommended Travelers in the past. I find the service reliable and the products very comparable to other companies in coverage and pricing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They were right here when a tree fell on my roof. They saw the tree and asked if it was my tree or the neighbors and I told them It was mine and cut a check right there and then.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In PA , the Supreme Court ruled (in favor of policyholders)... 1) that the insurer did not have a reasonable basis for denying benefits under the policy and (2) that the insurer knew or recklessly disregarded its lack of a reasonable basis in denying the claim... Travelers is so arrogant they believe this does not apply to them. As a policy holder, filing a claim for a pinhole copper pipe leak under my main bathroom (only) shower tub, I noticed dripping and called Travelers to explain the situation and ask for the proper steps to take to avoid claim problems. I hung up immediately, called the plumber and the water to the main bathroom was shut off.

Two days later the claims adjuster evaluates the visual only damages, writes a check minus the deductible and depreciation and tells me plumbing costs are not included. I ask him what if hidden damage is uncovered. His response is he can’t see behind walls. If I find anything further to call him. I have no information regarding MOISTURE METERS.

There is a problem, the demolition contractor removes the water damaged area and finds the beginning of mold growth and the entire (small home) finished basement is gutted. So sad for me that suddenly the claims adjuster is unavailable, sick, in training, etc. I speak with his supervisor and am told my moldy house is not his problem. I report him and the adjuster to travelers consumer affairs and ask to speak to management. I called repeatedly until “the director” called me who demanded to know who authorized me to do this work. Why was not a lab mold sample taken, etc. He was speaking in such a loud voice. I raised my volume and said it was visible mold, not hidden. He then proceeds to tell me I am yelling. :)

And I don’t know what I am doing and he has been doing this for twenty years - CLICK I had to hang up as it was clear I was not going to have a valid basis for denial. So here is what is in my policy and mold removal related to an incident (not neglect), hauling away of debris and damaged property, law and ordinance up to 10% (in building cavity return duct to HVAC removed) and living expenses (no shower). Refusal of claim payment without a reasonable basis for denial and reckless disregard for a reasonable basis = BAD FAITH INSURANCE COMPANY. My first step is reporting Travelers to the PA department of insurance. My next step if this can not be resolved with the state regulations, I will hire a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

It is very unfortunate to see that an insurance company that you hardly ever deal with (because that's the nature of the business) is not there when you need them the most. When it comes to liability, they protect the insurance company, not the insured person. Zero stars for having the lowest standards when determining if the insured person is liable or not. Hardly no investigation and very rude way of dealing with the customer.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Can a fiberglass insulation problem in my house that developed, Travelers Insurance refused to cover the damage to fiberglass has caused. They stated that it was faulty, inadequate or defective. They have so many exclusions in their policy to get out of paying any type of damages. You'd be better off going with another Insurance Company. I'm sorry I ever hooked up with these people.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

BEEN WITH TRAVELERS HOMEOWNERS (2 properties) for 26 years... Had two claims, one in 2015 and one in 2017. Because of these claims they chose not to renew my policy. Seems illegal... I have paid them for one home premiums over 26 years totaling $213,200 and the claims totaled $27,000. One for water damage and one for a small fire in geothermal system. I would give them 0 stars and recommend homeowners do not go with Travelers. Find a more reputable company. There is no loyalty to customers. I have submitted a complaint to the State of Mass.!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have never had an accident caused by me ever. I had a lady hit my car in Sewickley PA. Travelers Insurance never ever investigated it and you can ask Sewickley police department. They never paid a medical bill I had from being hit and hurt on McKnight road in Pittsburgh PA. They sent me a nonrenewal letter and now wherever I apply for insurance it’s very high for doing nothing wrong. No justice in America this time around. I have filed a complaint with the state of PA and they right to know. Let’s see if I get justice. If not you will see me on KDKA about this matter.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I gave Travelers Insurance 1 star, because there were no zeros. I bought homeowners insurance from Travelers. They lured me in with a good price. A few weeks later an insurance under-writer was running all over my private property taking pictures. I then got a notice that describing the exercise bike and garden pots on my porch as trash. I had 14 days to get rid of the stuff, make a number of other repairs and throw out the bricks I was saving to do my driveway. When I didn't get it done in time, Travelers cancelled my insurance and told my mortgage company. Stay away! This is insurance WITH a hassle. Bad faith company. They forgot they work you!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I sustained hail damage to my roof. My claim was first denied due to no damage, I then had a licensed roofer confirm there was damage. Travelers agreed to come back out with the roofer, however only agreed to pay for partial roof replacement which leaves my home looking terrible. I will have mismatched roof and live in an HOA where this will not be approved. All other major carriers in my area agreed to replace the homeowner's entire roof! MY HOA will not accept this and Travelers was very argumentative when I tried to discuss this with them. I am now going to leave the carrier!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

They gladly take your large sum of money each year, but don't ever try to actually use your insurance. First time trying to file a claim in 30 years of home ownership and they do everything possible not to pay. We pay them near $6000 a year for all our different coverage and all that we get are lies and arrogance from the claim adjuster and his boss. I can't begin to say how HORRIBLE their service is. Taking our business elsewhere and going to do everything I can to cost them as much business as possible. Hope saving the $3000 or so was worth it to them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought an almost 1400 dollar policy on my house that was supposedly covering everything. We had some damage to our door during the Irma storm which caused the water from the rain to also leak in and cause floor damage on top of that. After I contacted my insurance they created a claim and I had to call them for weeks to never get a call back from my claim specialist and finally I received a letter that stated they didn't cover anything caused by nature, humans, plants, animals, etc. so I realized that my coverage was a joke and called and cancelled my policy. The funny part is that 15 minutes after cancellation I received a call from the claim specialist who wouldn't call me back for weeks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Be aware, this company plain and simple violate the law, if you have a lost, first step don't allowed them to send you an adjuster of their own. They are incompetents and irresponsibles. They never will return calls etc, use your right to hire a public adjuster. He will be fair, it is your right but homeowners don't know, they will cheat you and they will cheat the contractor, they refuse to pay for the contractor overhead and profits, even when there is the invented rule of tree trades, even when the job is complex, anyway that have nothing to do with overhead and profits, they don't respect the Texas law requires insurance to paid when a contractor have been hire by a homeowners, by not paying they are practically Stealing from the homeowner and the contractor, this affect the homeowner for quality and warranties etc. I am about to sue this company for malpractice and cheating. Beware. Stay away from this crooks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It makes me feel secure and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The price of coverage I have is very fair, only about $200 and something a year. If I did ever have to make a claim, which I hope never happens, I'd receive the benefits I've been paying for all these years. But I have no reason not to trust Travelers.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have had the Travelers Insurance for my home for over 9 years and paid the premium on-time. Recently, the toilet tank line bursted and flooded the entire upstairs and 1st floor. It ruined my entire kitchen, bathrooms, carpets, floors, dry walls and the garage. I immediately called the company and filed the claim. The adjuster Erick showed up with a Restoration company called Servpro. After looking at the damage, he sent immediately a denial letter stating that it bursted due to a wear and tear and the water damage is not covered in my policy. The pipe had no sign of any wear and tear. There were no water stain on the floor to prove their point, but they can get away from paying the claim if they say that it was due to wear and tear which means we did not take care of it so according to the rule, they don't have to pay for the claim. It's a company which will say and do anything to avoid paying any claim. So they will come up with made up stories.

If that was not enough, they even cancelled my policy saying that the "property is changed"??? The property had inside damage by water which had to be fixed, but again they want to get away by saying these specific words which could legally get them out of the hook. What a phony, fake, criminal organization who only knows how to take your money and the minute you file a claim, they will deny to pay for it and for sure will cancel it. It's called legal robbery!! I wish if I could give them ZERO star. Whoever have their policy should wake up and immediately change it to another reputable company before they fall victim to this horrendous company. It reminds me of a movie called Devil's Triangle of the 70's.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Incident with Travelers Homeowners Insurance. We have held Travelers Homeowners and Auto policies since 2001. Up to this point we have been very satisfied their product and service. Unfortunately, that is not the case now. At the beginning of May 2017, I noticed a blackened spot on the wall in our hall bathroom. It was between the shower and toilet. I sent a sample of it to PRO-LAB and received the Certificate of Mold Analysis the end of May 2017. The results identified the sample as Stachybotrys, also known as black mold. After consulting the Center for Disease Control, US Environmental Protection Agency, and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, I realized the implications of this situation on my family's health. I also discovered the importance of having a licensed, certified Water Mitigation and Mold Removal Company, to fully remove it.

In addition, I discovered that should we decide to sell our home, a certification from a credible Mold Remediation Company would be necessary to state that all mold and damage had been removed and repaired to safety standards. I contacted Bio Safety Clean and Chris ** came to my home on 6/26/2017. He did a full inspection and confirmed that the mold in the hall bath was Black Mold and needed to be removed immediately for my family's health. He also found there is extensive water readings within the wall behind the vanity, toilet, and tub/shower, basically the whole bathroom. The smell is not only in the bathroom but is also in the entry/living area, which shares a wall.

In order to find the source of this water and remove all of the mold it is necessary to completely gut the bathroom, clean up all mold, determine where the water leak is coming from, repair this leak, and then install all new vanity, sink & counter, fixtures, shower walls, medicine cabinet, dry wall, paint, etc. On 6/26/2017, Chris emailed me the estimate to forward to Travelers Homeowners Insurance. The estimate was for $5630.99. I placed a claim with Travelers Homeowners Insurance on that same day, 6/26/2017. On 6/30/2017, the adjuster for Travelers and Chris ** with Bio Clean met at my home. The adjuster was emailed the report from PRO-LAB identifying the mold so he was fully aware of the black mold. Chris ** reviewed with the adjuster the estimate and why items on the estimate needed to be done to completely remove the mold and water.

I am concerned that the adjuster has little or no experience in water mitigation and mold remediation. I received the estimate from Travelers on 7/3/2017 and the total was $6687.78 minus $1000 deductible for $5687.78. This estimate supposedly included the amount for water mitigation, removal of mold, and rebuild. After reviewing the estimate it is clear that Travelers has not considered the full extent of the water problem or mold infestation. The breakdown of the estimate is as follows: Water Mitigation $1149.22. Mold Remediation $1134.40. Rebuild $4404.16. As you can see, Travelers is agreeing to pay is $2,283 for Water Mitigation and Mold Remediation. According to this estimate, Travelers is only covering a portion of Bio Clean's water mitigation and mold remediation and a portion of rebuilding of our bathroom.

**THERE WAS MORE MOLD FOUND IN BATHROOM DUE TO LEAKING PIPE WHICH MEANS THE COST WILL INCREASE. Items omitted from the estimate: Extended Stay cost upfront - $1065.40. Cost of items that had to be thrown away due to mold exposure - $1500. Cost of water and mold inspection by Bio Clean for $100. Loss of use for 10 days? I am also concerned that based on Travelers estimate the work would not be performed according to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Corticated Standards. The standards are as follows: Professional Water Damage Restoration $500. Professional Mold Remediation $520.

If these standards are not followed we will not be able obtain a certificate that our home is free from water and mold. We would never have assurance that the water and mold has been fully removed and we would be unable to sell our home in the future since we would have not way of verifying that this problem was dealt with correctly. In addition, I have obtained an estimate from a licensed contractor through Home Depot that gave me a figure of approximately $7000 to restore my bathroom to full use. Clearly, Travelers estimate of $4404.16 will not fully put our bathroom back to full use. As you can imagine I find all of this very troubling. My family's health and welfare are at stake. I am sure you would feel the same if this were your family.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Most of our neighborhood will have their roof replaced and APPROVED by their insurance companies due to hail damages that occurred last February 2017. I had mine DENIED by Travelers two times (two adjusters came in on two separate occasions). Even with the presence of Roofing Contractors (by the way, they say that it differs with the guidelines of insurers). This only means that their guidelines are not homeowners friendly. Consider other options even if this insurer is cheaper because for the long term... you will be at the LOSING corner.

Original review: June 25, 2017

An unforeseen, very emotionally charged and sad experience with my dog and a child who received 18 stitches due to dog scratches. The episode occurred on my property. The dog had never been aggressive before and had been raised for 4 years with the child next door. The child, no doubt, played a role in provoking the dog, but the dog could no longer be trusted and was euthanized. The child healed well with no scars but Travelers Homeowner's Insurance, who contacted me the homeowner once in almost 2 years, paid out $25K to the obvious money grubbers. Now everyone will know why premiums continue to rise when they dole out money like this.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I am stuck with Travelers for homeowners and can't wait to drop them. I bought them for my home purchase settlement (2009) through AAA, which I had for auto emergency service. I got a good rate which convinced me of the decision to purchase their insurance. The rate was about $400/year, now it has been $904/year since I had a claim 5 years ago. We had a "100 year rain event" that wore out my sump pump and consequently the sump pit backed up into the basement. My wife had just moved in and had many things, including furniture, stored in the basement. What a mess. We filed and were paid only $5000; they said was the policy coverage limit. Since that date we have paid more than double, as mentioned, the premium and can't switch companies due to only ONE claim.

I called Travelers for info to save money and better afford this policy that I am stuck with, but little help. I then just called to find out what my refund from the annual premium payment would be when I cancel 2 months after renewal. They again can't give me the "short rate refund" amount. I want to know in advance if it will be cost effective to cancel and change COMPANIES after renewal or if the "refund" penalty is more than the savings. I was told that they can't calculate that; I had to wait till after the renewal. I told them that there are numerous "short rate refund" calculators online why can't you just tell me, I need to know if your company charges any other fees. The answer was, NO, can't give you that information. Again, no answers to logical questions.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I was insured by Travelers for years. I had no idea I was being overcharged until I left them and went to USAA. This is when I found out I was being overcharged. They were charging me for 1800 square feet when my house is only 1300 square feet. They are now claiming that they cannot find my info since I left the company.

Original review: May 12, 2017

The ONLY reason this is a one star rating is for our insurance adjuster. He was the BEST at helping us with our claims and getting us covered for what was needed. But now that our claim is about to close, we got a letter stating that they are dropping us because we filed a claim. What a jerk company. Seriously!!! Isn't that the purpose of having homeowners insurance? To use for when a bad thing happens to your home? But not drop a client because we use the money that we put into the company??? I'm so sorry my adjuster works for such a horrible company. Makes a nice man look evil like the company he works for. But he was the best. If I had to do it over again, I would not choose Travelers. I would have steered way far clear of them. I'm actually quite hurt (literally heartbroken) that a company would do something like this. I have a few choice words for them.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information