Travelers Homeowners Insurance
1.45/5
  • 1 star
Based on 131 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Travelers Homeowners Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 6, 2018

172 Travelers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: July 20, 2016

I live 900 feet from the great south bay on Long Island. My house was being lifted because of hurricane sandy. My general contractor hired a "rigger" to lift my house. The rigger lifted the house in January 2016, the house fell on Feb. 13th 2016. Our house was on the rigger's insurance policy (as an additional rider for lifting coverage). Guess what??? Travelers refused to pay the claim and now I am homeless and still paying a mortgage. Travelers insurance company stinks!!!

Original review: July 8, 2016

Water heater broke Monday. Tuesday Travelers Homeowners Insurance inspector comes to my house and refused coverage stating water damage was long-term! BROKE THE DAY BEFORE!!! Policy canceled. Will never do business again.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I paid $200k for our home 12 years ago. We are thinking of selling and despite $70k in updates we'll be lucky to get $200-210k out of it. Travelers gave us a decent quote based on our current homeowners coverage, which is $325k. We switched over, made changes at the bank to escrow insurance through the mortgage payment, etc.

So now that we're all set they decide to send out an inspector to take pictures (we live modestly at best, with lots of Thrift Store furnishings). Travelers then determined our home is now worth $525k and by the way we owe them over $300 more that they decided this for us. Really?? Which puts them WAY over other quotes we received and we would have chosen these other companies instead had we known this kind of insurance deception. Now we have to cancel the Travelers' policy and start the process over. What a SCAM! How many unfortunate people do they nab with this treachery because those people don't want to have to search for another insurance provider? Well, I'm switching to another company!

Original review: June 13, 2016

Living in New Mexico hail and hail damage is a pretty rare occurrence; the last hail storm was in 2013 and I can't remember the once before that. I live in a historic neighborhood with Victorian houses. My little cottage has a very steep roof. Recently, after a windstorm I noticed that a shingle had blown off and I called a roofer to repair it. Nearly 70 years old with severe arthritis I wasn't about to climb on the roof myself. My roofer noticed some pretty serious hail damage and I called Travelers Insurance. A claims adjuster came out in a couple of days, climbed on the roof and verified that there was considerable hail damage and said that it was definitely covered and I would receive a check in about a week. Then a week later I received notification that Travelers was denying my claim as it incident had happened over a year ago and I only had a year to report it.

First of all, I did call them immediately upon my knowledge that there was damage. What did they expect? A woman nearly 70 years old climb up on her roof on a yearly basis to check for hail damage? Sorry, physically impossible! To add insult to injury not only did Traveler's refuse to honor my claim (although they cashed my premium checks quick enough) when I received my renewal notice they had greatly increased my rate!!! Several other neighbors with similar hail damage recently reported the damage to their insurance companies and there wasn't a problem with their coverage. They got their roofs replaced! Who didn't get coverage? Only Travelers clients!! Something's very wrong here. In my personal opinion, Travelers is preying upon senior citizens and I would highly recommend that if you have Travelers you consider cancelling them immediately and if you're looking for homeowners insurance look at any company that ISN'T Travelers!

Original review: March 28, 2016
I just had a Travelers Insurance rep look at the roof on my house. About a month ago we had 60-70 mph winds for about 8 hours. During this time many shingles were torn loose from the roof and more were loosened. While picking up shingles in my yard during the wind I could clearly see shingles flapping up.

Now for the good part, Travelers Insurance agent says THERE IS BARELY ENOUGH DAMAGE TO BE COVERED BY MY DEDUCTIBLE. The roofing contractor said the roof wouldn't last two more years because of the damage. The roof is only 10 years old. Replacement cost is about $16,000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: March 15, 2016

Our car along with several other cars were disabled when we drove into a sinkhole that formed 2 days after NJ American Water had completed work on an underground water main pipe in that spot. It has been raining all day and there was dense fog so one car after another was driving into it. My car had to be towed and have the tire replaced and a wheel alignment was necessary. The police had forwarded our incident report and contact information to Travelers Insurance who was handling all the claims for NJ American Water Company. I was just informed that my claim was being denied because Travelers said they were told by NJ American Water that they filled in the hole properly after completing the repair. All Travelers did was accept their word and now we all have been denied. I am going to appeal the denial.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

I am in SC taking care of my mother's home. She passed 2 years ago. I had thoughts of continuing the upkeep of her home and flower garden, once hailed by the local newspaper as flower garden of the month. The home is valued under 100,000 in the south, maybe 150-200,000 in Maryland. I moved into the home on May 24, 2015. The home while not at the value above has far more sentimental value to me because it belonged to my Mother. My family is not wealthy but we subsidized her expenses. Homeowners insurance and forced flood insurance totaled over 2,500. She was in her 80s when she was forced by Nationstar Mortgage company to get the flood insurance. When I came I had and maintain personal property insurance through Assurant Insurance Co... at times my electronic payment information says GEICO. I originally contracted with GEICO. The companies' relationship was never explained.

Come the flood on October 6, 2015. I called Nationstar and spoke with their representative who connected me to the claims department as we elected to have them purchase the flood insurance through their source at 1,500 per year. My story is very long, bottom line is that the first adjuster said that the WATER damage and mold infestation is not related to the flood. Of course I lived in the home since May and there was none of the damage present. If the home was infested with mold I would not have moved in. Not only did they say that the damage was not from the flood, they said bogus and fabricated statements.

One was that there was no movement of soil to indicate flooding. I gave the second adjuster a video that I filmed on August 30, 2015 months before the flood. The video was to show the pattern of water running onto the property during a normal rainstorm. I took it to show the City of Sumter so that they would fix the problem which existed years before the flood and at the time that the insurance policy was written. I am now convinced that there was no need for flood insurance. The Atlantic Ocean is 2 hours away, and the nearest ditch is a half block away. My family has lived in the area for over 75 years and there has never been a problem with water from the ditch. I have been speaking with a supervisor who said some pretty stupid and condescending things.

When I shared with her that I previously owned 6 homes, the last home valued a million dollars and that I fully understood how insurance works. I also explained that I lived in Annapolis, MD, a city that is predominantly water and no one is forced to have flood insurance. She said that she would get back to me in 2 days... it's passed 2 days. I am a senior citizen, living and breathing mold daily. The hardwood floors are buckling from the moisture seeping up from under the house. There is mold in my bedroom... green and black. Servpro measured 19% moisture in my mattress. The hot water heater is out because of the water coming through the roof. All of my clothing and shoes have mold, as well as the kitchen cabinets, and the odor is horrible. The water brought filth and possible feces from the sewer in the street near the house.

South Carolina was deemed in a state of emergency and my problems are very visible. I found out in my search that FEMA administers all flood insurance. They rushed to the aid of those who had no flood insurance with no questions. I personally know one person who had 4 ft. of wall from the floor up taken out, totally repaired, new furniture and appliances... no flood insurance. I have gone to the media and will continue contacting any place I feel will make the community aware of the treatment I and I am sure others are experiencing. If I am having these challenges dealing with this situation, I can only imagine the elderly, poor or those who just don't know what to do. I am thankful that my Mother does not have to deal with this issue. I have no doubt that if this insurance co told her that she wasn't covered she would just walk away to suffer in this unsafe environment.

I now understand why consumers don't trust insurance companies. I think that a class action suit might force GEICO to be proactive in selecting those companies they pass unsuspecting customers to. At the least we should be able to make the decision. Had I known that Travelers and Assurant were not GEICO and that GEICO SAYS that they are not related at all, I would not have insured with them... ever. I found this out from a GEICO executive who I was referred to by their CEO. Actually they can say what they want, however, when I dialed GEICO and asked for renter's insurance for my office space in DC, they transferred me... not once advising me that they were transferring me to another company. Please excuse grammatical or spelling errors, if I wordsmithed this, I would probably delete it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

While visiting my family over the 2015 holiday season, my backpack was stolen. In it was my MacBook Pro, along with some sundry items. The experience in getting the claim settled is still not a done deal. Although I provided Travelers with information as soon as they requested it, I still haven't received full compensation for all items stolen, namely, the total amount due me for my MacBook Pro. The claims agent assigned to this case was clearly not totally informed as to how to handle such a case. I was given incomplete information and incorrect information.

I called her supervisor three times, left messages for him to return my calls, but he never did. The last time I called, this morning, I dialed 0, as instructed, but was put on hold for over ten minutes, when finally I hung up. This is the second time that happened. Terrible service. I did contact their consumer affairs department and am awaiting a call from the supervisor of the supervisor of the agent who was trying to handle this case. Who knows if I will be contacted or not. The only reason I have Travelers is because I got them through GEICO, but have found that their level of customer service in no way approaches that of GEICO. I do plan to file a complaint with GEICO to let them know what I experienced.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

Just spoke with an agent who insisted on talking over me. I let my insurance lapse because I got better home insurance from another company. This agent says I am still liable to pay outside of the policy dates. This does not sound correct. I paid for 1 year and 1 year only. Why are they paying for my policy outside the date. If there were some damage outside expired date I BET their excuse would be, "your policy is not paid up to date therefore we can not allow your claim."

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

They said that if I did not ACCEPT a mandatory on site visit to my house for review they would not renew my insurance. And if THEY decide I need more insurance, irregardless of my wishes. Then I was obligated to accept the increased rates or be canceled. So I went with Mercury. They are the BEST!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

During hurricane Andrew, my king size water bed located on the third floor of my home broke. It flooded all three floors. The adjuster, who was harried because of the hurricane, was in and out of my home in 3 min. He was aware of the significant damage and the level of my furniture and accessories. He was more than fair and awarded me enough to fully restore my home.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

Lost power, pipes frozen and burst, paid 100% to fix, nothing on personal items! Stolen property, paid 1500$ on 3890$. Wind storm, no power, subzero weather. I asked for 25% cost on a generator, "nope no way, but if your pipes break we will fix them, but not your personal items." They have offered to replace 12% of my food loss.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

I was forced insurance through my mortgage company at a price of $1500.00. That brought my mortgage payment over $3500.00 a month. The coverage was insane, the company wanted us to have flood insurance. We're not even close to a flood zone. I researched many others, none of them wanted flood insurance and the prices were a lot lower. Finally I found Travelers. Excellent customer service, over $1000.00 less for the same coverage minus flood. I would recommend them to everyone.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Travelers as a company is pretty good. My issue is with my insurance agent who is non existent. We have been with them for quite a few years and I don't even recall the last time he has contacted us to see if we need to change anything or to at least check in. Because of that I will be shopping for a new company and hopefully someone who at least pretends to care about me and my family.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

This insurance company covered everything we needed. We were able to repair water damage in our ceiling caused by leaky plumbing. Also we got a new roof because of hail damage. They were quick to respond and pay for repairs. Getting the payments for the roof repair to the right party was a little complicated but it was paid.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I am happy and satisfied with my insurance company. I am with my insurance company for the longest time and the service is exceptional. I have never had any sour grapes nor unattended inquiry that is unresolved. I am always treated with respect and professional treatment is at its best. I am happy and satisfied and does not plan to move my coverage with other company anytime soon.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

No problems. How can they be rated if I have never had any problems with them? It's good that I know that they are there for me, if I need them, do not really understand why I need to use one hundred words to describe my experience with Travelers Ins.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

We are pretty happy with Travelers. Not only is it our homeowner's insurance, it's also our car insurance with a high deductible. We haven't had to use it yet, thank goodness, but when we do, I think they will treat us right. Our premium isn't too bad. We changed to Travelers about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago from MetLife and we are pretty happy with it. We know if we need it, it's there. When we switch to Travelers, I asked our independent insurance agent if we get a free umbrella, but unfortunately we don't. Our homeowner's insurance make me feel secure.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

This company is great. We lived in South Carolina and were in the process of relocation to North Carolina. We had purchased our house about five months before and were having a lot of updates inside. We came to NC to check on the updates and as we were coming down the street, we noticed some of the roof was gone, due to a storm the night before. I immediately called Travelers' 800 number and they had someone come out immediately to cover the roof since more rain was expected that night.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

My husband was in a car accident and injured by someone who had Travelers Insurance a few months ago. The person admitted fault and took full responsibility. The car was totaled. No one from the insurance company contacted him. So 5 days later we contacted them. They were extremely RUDE. Tried to get my husband to admit fault. Shady company! His vehicle was paid off, but medical bills, pain/suffering, and days missed work haven't been paid. They won't even return our phone calls (left 5 messages last week). This accident put us in a hardship and they could care less. We are considering hiring an attorney to help us since it's pretty clear they will not offer us a fair settlement and are in no rush. Terrible company!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I recently had multiple leaks in my roof. I went through my insurance company to resolve this problem. To my surprise, they were very kind, helpful & efficient. This was my very first claim & to my surprise, the company acted very quickly and I had my new roof in a matter of around a week.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

Have not had contact with my homeowners insurance company for since my last claim in 2002. There are other experience with the company. The company was very helpful with the claim and the process and payment for the claim. It was very efficient and not much delay in processing the claims.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I call Travelers to make a claim in reference to I had mold on my lower level of my house (basement). This was in June. They told me to call a builder and see how much it would cost to refinish and get rid of the mold. This was in June 2015. In October 2015 a claims adjuster just got here. He walked in and stated, "You only got 5,000 worth of coverage, so if it's over 5000, you will have to pay for it yourself." Little did I know that the pipes had burst from the winter and that's what the mold resulted from. This guy wrote up the claim stating my mold comes from lack of taking care of my property. What people will do to stop payment. This is crazy. So now I am fighting with this crazy company which deserves to go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I own seven vehicles and two homes. The second house we have is in an estate. Being in an estate is a problem for some insurance companies. Some companies won't even insure a house that is in an estate. All our vehicles are used for different purposes and I want different coverage for each vehicle. I have dealt with other insurance companies and a lot of times it has become a nightmare. Travelers has been far the best. They handled all the policies with minimal effort on my part and all the policies were done correctly. Having multiple policies the discounted rates were excellent.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I was satisfied with the Travelers insurance that I had but the plan needed to be more detailed in the coverage options because much of the policy was very vague in nature and what I mean specifically was the items covered in an actual loss of fire, theft, acts of God and so on. The transparency was not there to make a more informed decision with initial choosing of the type of plan that would fit myself and my particular needs at the time. The area I was most satisfied was the cost which we paid on a yearly basis. I shopped around for several weeks and got quotes but Travelers had the best premium price overall, beating the other companies hands down!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

We had a hail storm in August of this year. Travelers sent adjusters that missed tons of damaged items. Now they don't want to pay for anything. They'll pay for 1/2 of the garage roof but are saying there are only 2 single solitary shingles on the other side damaged. Our entire house roof was destroyed, but they don't want to pay for new pipe jacks etc. They want us to use the old, damaged ones. Our contractor refused because that's not how you properly reroof a house. I have had to fight with them about replacing everything. Our contractors are to the point they don't even want to talk to the adjuster in CT anymore. He is absolutely rude, tells them one thing and us another. I've never had such a horrible experience with ins. in my life. I will tell everyone I know to stay away from Traveler's - they are horrible to deal with for insurance claims. But boy do they want your premium every month. Horrible service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Great overall service, excellent communication, ability to get someone on the phone, easy quoting process, fast and easy analysis of claim, easy claim process, expedient of claim and other reimbursements, inspectors schedule immediate appoints and arrive on time, make the claim process easy and fast, competitive pricing, ability to negotiate premiums.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Replace roof and repair ceiling. Claim was filed 9-3-15. As of today 10-13-15 Travelers will not pay for profit and overhead to Baxter Construction. The date to replace and repair has been moved weekly because they refuse to pay because it is subjective. They can pay what they want.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

Put in a claim for roof repair after hail damage. Travelers will only replace the parts that are damaged, not whole roof. When I asked about the difference in color, they told me to buy a product and try to clean the shingles so they match. I asked about damage from cleaning shingles and they said they weren't responsible. I asked why they weren't clear about overtime for contractor, costs, etc. and they said they didn't care. They were only responsible for what the adjuster decided needed to be replaced. Extremely rude to me. Asked if we could get another estimate with new contractor and they said no. I said contractors wouldn't guarantee work for the replacement since it wasn't a total tear off and replace and they said no. They wouldn't have it re-inspected. These are the rudest people ever and I will do everything I can to make sure no one I know goes with them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

I had a valid homeowners policy with this company (Operable word being HAD). Our 1st floor rental unit had a slow leak that was 100% caused by the condo owner above us. Upstairs unit shower leaked behind the drywall over the course of a few weeks and ran down to our unit. My elderly tenant did not report it until it visibly stained the drywall and started to cause mold. Had this company's insurance adjuster come out and proceed to deny my claim because it was not in their words "a one-time event".

The upstairs owner had Farmers Insurance and they would subrogate (which means my fraudulent insurance company would pay out of their pocket and be fully reimbursed by Farmers). These frauds said my policy excluded such a continued leak and said claim was denied. I now have to sue the upstairs owner for losses that were not my fault. STAY AWAY FROM THESE FRAUDS! They smile at you while they are sticking it to you. I only went with them because my family members used them. I have convinced my family members to switch to another company. Needless to say they lost all of our business. BEWARE.

Travelers Homeowners Insurance Company Information

Travelers
www.travelers.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use