Travelers Auto Insurance
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Travelers Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

140 Travelers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I took my car to Ken Towery‘s on July 8, 2017 for an oil change. Within one week my car was damage from lack of oil. My car had two different oil leaks, I took it back two different times. They failed to fix the problem. As a result of that my car engine was damaged. I cooperated fully with Travelers Auto Insurance. In the end they did not assume responsibility. This went on for about four months. I took them to court and I won. Make them assume responsibility. Do not give up!! It was a nightmare but it’s over now!

If someone damages your engine from a service they performed don’t even talk to the insurance company. Get your own inspector. Ken Towery was bought out by Monro Muffler approximately four years ago. They are based out of New York. Do not have confidence at the service you have paid for has been done properly. Don’t be afraid to ask them to leave your car on the racks and check your oil filter, check your oil plug to make sure everything was done properly, when it comes down from the rack be sure to check your oil level. I hope this helps someone because I felt all alone. All I wanted was someone to tell the truth. They didn’t. Let the courts decide for you. The proof was in the evidence.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

They are my insurance company. I was rear ended at a stop light and it is three years later and still are stonewalling me from getting the section b coverage to get well. They sent me to a "specialist" that has no real knowledge of my issues and I have 3 specialist that have given me positive diagnosis of my condition and still they Stonewall me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been with Travelers for over 10 years. Last year I received my first ever speeding ticket in 49 years of driving, for 5 MPH over the speed limit. (Show me anyone has never driven 5 MPH over at some point!) Travelers jacked my premium up 50% and refused to reconsider. Based on my record they should be offering a "good driver" discount! So long to Travelers; found a much better rate with a major insurer to replace them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

When I retired I changed auto insurance carriers because it was a payroll deduction policy that I had. I called and got several quotes before deciding on Travelers. I received a quote of $994 annually if I paid in full and had it withdrawn through EFT from my checking account. I agreed to all of this and started the policy on Aug. 20. Several days later I received a note from Travelers asking me to call to confirm my information. They asked all the same questions that the agent I set my account up with did prior to my accepting the policy.

One week after this phone call I received a letter informing me that based on my phone conversation my policy was increasing $508 dollars per year. That is more than a 50% increase. This is unacceptable and fraudulent. I will contacting every agency I can to let them know about this underhanded action. I called my original agent and she said it was out of her hands. Either she was totally incompetent when writing the policy or whoever does the followup phone calls is a sleazeball. Either way I will NOT be treated this way.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I was sitting at a red light when a man hit me from behind. As I got out of the car, he was backing up. The police clearly said the accident wasn't my fault. However the man claimed someone hit him and pushed his car into mine. I knew he was lying but couldn't prove it. So Geico stated that their client was "innocent" and they were not responsible. Travelers said I would have to pay my $500 deductible. The estimate was around $526, and they were willing to pay $26. I know people who have been hit from behind. You are supposed to be in control of your car at all times. This man and Geico are responsible, and yet Travelers went ahead and closed the claim while I was preparing for hurricane Irma in Florida. Stay away from these people. They did not fight for me, and never gave me a reasonable explanation for why they wouldn't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was the involved in 2 accidents within 3 months. Both accidents were the fault of the other drivers. I called their 24 hr. service number both times and their agents were quick to start the process of a rental car when needed, arranging for their adjuster to assess my damages and keeping me well informed of the progress of my claim. Both times I needed to open a medical claim and the process was handled flawlessly. The 2nd accident totaled my vehicle and they had my settlement to me in less than 10 days so that I could purchase a new vehicle. They arranged for a rental vehicle asap for both accidents within 24 hrs.

I'm still going thru treatment for my injuries and they call me weekly to check on my progress. Their entire staff did a great job and continues this same outstanding performance. This is only my second year with this company and I am impressed with their outstanding customer service. The staff went above and beyond. I would not hesitate to recommend Travelers to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My vehicle was t-boned, not at fault. Travelers under-appraised the damages almost $3000. When I argued the vehicle should have been a write off with $11000 in damages. They ignored phone calls and emails for weeks on end. They have zero customer service and they are the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Do not sign with these scam artists.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with Travelers was. To keep my policy Travelers gave me a small list of minor repairs they requested me to have done to my home before a specific date to keep my policy. So as requested I did the repairs and after each repair I emailed the picture of each repair. The due date was coming up and I didn't hear a word as to what was happening so I called and was told Travelers need one more thing corrected so again I got that completed. Emailed them pictures. Still no call. At this time I was getting nervous because due date was in 2 days. So again I called and was told everything they asked for and need was good. The person told me to hold and she would contact the underwriter to make sure everything on their part was good. So a few minutes went by. The agent came back told me that I would get a call back within an hour to let me know if there was anything else.

I stressed to the agent the due date was the following day. I need to get this completed today. And it was 3 pm on a Friday. Well no call. Nothing at all. So Monday morning August 14 at 9 am I called Travelers and was told they had emailed me information that everything was ok just wanted my permission to update all information. But the email address was not mine so I never received it. So now they said that they have to rewrite my policy make a new one. I'm already paid in full for the entire year in advance and they’re going to have to rewrite my policy for the mistake they made. I told them that I did not like that idea. I was told that if I didn't agree to the new policy I would lose my insurance coverage. BECAUSE OF THEIR MISTAKE THE CUSTOMER SUFFERS THE CONSEQUENCES. THAT TO ME OR ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OF TRAVELERS IS NOT RIGHT.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been a customer of Travelers for over 3 years and although I don't have a great driving record, every time I have been in an accident, they have made my life a living hell. And now that I needed to switch a vehicle onto my policy after another recent accident, my policy did go up. Which I did see coming but every time I turn around, they come up with some other reason that I need to pay more and more money and are waiting to the last minute or waiting for me to find out on my own after I was already told I would be paying a certain price. And now they are refusing to take the extra payments off and that I need to pay them even though in other recorded conversations, I was not told about extra payments.

I don't feel like they should be getting away with this but with my driving record, I have no choice but to pay it due to nobody else being willing to insure me for less than or the same as what I am paying with them. Anyone know of any way I can avoid paying these extra installments due to me being told I would be paying a different amount.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My car was damaged in a church parking lot while it was legally parked and stationary. The woman who damaged the car indicated to me on site her fault in the incident stating she "did not see the car". She also stated she would write me a check to pay for the damages and also gave me her insurance information. I immediately had the car repair estimated and contacted her with the cost. She said she would have to report it to her insurance company (Travelers). I was contacted by Ms. Catherine **, her agent, and asked for a recorded statement which I gave. I was then called the next day and told that the claim was her word against mine and that Travelers would not be paying the claim.

The rationale in the written document state that I had not yielded the right of way to their client. I responded stating that there was no right of way in question since my car was legally parked in a parking space and was not moving. Ms. ** also stated that her client stated she never damaged my car. An email denial was then received. I wonder how Travelers can respond in such a way since their client called them in the first place to report the incident! How many of us call our insurance companies to say that we have NOT had an accident that we want to report. It sounds fishy to me and I wonder who is more conniving, the woman who damaged my car, Ms. **, or Travelers Insurance Co.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I called to file my claim with Marion **. I told this adjuster how Highland Paving company in Fayetteville, NC gave me the runaround and how I felt he told me that he had to consult with the insurer and call me back and wasn't sure if my windshield would be covered anyways. My co-workers were listening on speakerphone. They said he is rude call back and request a more respectful person. I call back and request that but the lady connected me to Mr. Marion again. He raised his voice and disrespected me and hung up.

This is the most humiliating thing I ever experienced, Highland Paving company of Fayetteville, NC had paving flying from their trailer on truck crack my windshield now travelers insurance of Charlotte NC insurance adjuster Marion ** fussing and hanging up and both companies to me and from what I read are scam artists. I have witnesses that seen the paving crack my windshield, witnesses to hear the Highland Paving Harvey guy try to scam, and witnesses that heard how the traveler's insurance adjuster Marion ** talked to me twice.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Actually up until today I was having an ordinary experience with my car insurance (Travelers). Premiums were acceptable until today. Literally out of the blue my insurance premium went up. I have a perfect driving record w/o accidents or citations! My insurance went up $750.00. No notice no anything. From $1475.00 to $2,300.00 I had been reading negative reviews about them, and now I can surely join in. Stay away from Travelers insurance company!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

My wife was involved in an accident with a Travelers Auto Insurance policyholder. She was rear ended and not at fault. It was difficult getting the adjuster to come look at our vehicle. It took multiple calls. When he did, he quoted cheap, aftermarket parts even though I requested genuine Ford parts be used. The company refused even after I complained. The other vehicle (the policy holders vehicle) was repaired with genuine GM parts at their request. Stay away from these people. They truly don't care.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I had Liberty Mutual and got a rate increase after having them as my insurance co for 53 yrs with no explanation. That was not the first time there was no communication with them and there should have been. Also their local agent was very condescending and Curt. I expect more than coverage for 53 yrs of loyalty. I received that from Travelers before I choose them as my company and their rates were less than I paid for insuring my 2000 Toyota Avalon XL. Paid $35,000 for it new and never had an accident. But speaking with Travelers' reps is always professional and very courteous. Also, agents are very knowledgeable and suggest the best coverage for the lowest cost available. I am 71 and drive a 2016 Lexus ES300h about 2500 mi a yr for about $2,800.

Original review: July 6, 2017

PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY! They have the best/cheapest automobile rate quotes, rates are low when you first buy their insurance, then at every 6 months renewal it goes up. I had insurance (auto & home) since Feb 2016 ($382/6 mos)), Aug 2016 ($360/6 mos), Feb 2017 ($394/6 mos) and now for Aug 2017 my new renewal rate ($427/6 mos)... I have had no accidents or tickets so why has my insurance rates increase every 6 months? My answer; they need to make up for other policy holders' accidents or other losses/claims so every 6 months they jack up other GOOD drivers' policies rates. I called to ask and she talking about because the rate increase in Texas. Every 6 months? BS!!! There has not been no rate increase in Texas.

Well, looks like I will be switching to another insurance company before my renewal, one that doesn't lure you in with their low rated quotes then slowly increase the rate with some lame ass excuse in order to make up for their loss from other policy holders claims or other losses/claims. I rated Customer Service - 1 STAR because of the lie the CSR told about Texas rates increases. I rated Value - 1 STAR because it's not worth every 6 mos increase for GOOD drivers. I rated Coverage - 1 STAR because the coverage rates start out cheaper that other companies but slowly increased every 6 mos til it SUCKS.

Original review: June 28, 2017

First of all, I'm a disabled vet on Social Security and Medicare. I don't have a lot of money. On Saturday June 17th my 2000 Windstar van was sitting in front of my house and was hit from behind by a Farmer insured driver and pushed 50 feet into the back of my neighbor's car. I use the van as my primary driver and I've also built a removable framework where I can just remove the two rear seats and snap the framework to the seat posts and I then have a set up for a bed, cooler, etc. for camping. I am a very meticulous person and I always keep the maintenance up to date. Two week before the accident I spent $1,300 for new struts, CV axle and had the transmission serviced. I was planning on a low budget camping trip on the Strait of Juan De Fuca in NW, Washington.

On Monday the 19th Farmers sent an appraiser to look at the damage and document the van's condition, special features and recent repairs or maintenance. My van is very well equipped with an extra sliding door, air front and back, tilt wheel, alloy wheels and the interior was spotless. I provided the recent $1300 receipts. I'd say my van was in good condition. There was one small dent in the front bumper and a small crack in the windshield before the accident. I will also say the van was deemed totaled in 2011. Because the van was such a good runner I bought it back for $800 because there was only minor cosmetic damage and needed a radiator. There was nothing that affected the running gear. I bought the parts and had it fixed to the same condition it was before that accident. (Also not my fault).

Now it's two weeks later, I've been unable to go on vacation and Farmers wants to give me $1800 noting it was totaled in 2011. To purchase another van in my area I will need to pay between $3500 and $5000. The $5000 van has 30,000 more miles than my van. I was hoping to get $2500 taking into consideration the total, the condition and the recent repairs. I feel $1800 is an insult considering the recent repairs. I'm guessing that between the appraiser and the 2 weeks the pencil pushing bean counters time to figure what they could get away with it cost Farmers $2,000 in wages. So now Farmers is going to be out about $3800 and have a very unhappy customer. I have done nothing wrong, I've been unable to go on vacation and it will probably cost me another $2,000 to replace my van. (That's the two weeks wages Farmers paid their people to screw me).

Original review: June 28, 2017

I had Utica through AAA - 2 cars $1900 full coverage! I had no problems until I added the boyfriend with not a great record. It went from $1900 to about $3000 for 3 cars fully covered. I then sold 1 car but it came down $100 and then a non renewal Letter in August! I had trouble finding a company after that but Progressive wrote us for the 2 cars for over $7000 for a 2009 Nissan in 2016!!!

4 Months in, my boyfriend had a heart attack in December and drove into a tree. Thankfully no other cars were involved with that. Immediate Bypass surgery followed by 11 days in a coma, but after joining with them and being raised to over 7 grand, with 7 months left on the policy paying almost 700 a month and once that totaled car came off they gave me back less than $200 with 8 months left!!!! And a letter stating they would not renew me.

After we leased a 2016 Subaru I shopped around and found Travelers through a broker. At first she was high. After I demanded to speak to her boss and was able to explain our situation I was able to get a new policy for around $2500. So I am very happy with Travelers, not only their pricing but their customer service has been fantastic!!!

I once filed a claim. I was not driving and the person who was hit a patch of ice and spun out and was taken to the hospital by ambulance to the ICU. As there were no other cars involved, I waited a few days to put in the claim until I could find my car and find out some of the details. After 6 hours on the phone calling every police department in Westchester County NY I finally found it with the State Police and as of Feb 14 I have yet to get a promised call back from the officer at the scene.

I worked in Collision for 14 years so once I had found the car and until I was able to see it I waited to call the Insurance Company. The accident was on a Sunday. I found the car 5 am Tuesday went to see it, knew it was totaled and Emptied it out. I called Travelers on Wednesday to put in the claim. Thursday I went to meet the adjuster at the body shop, brought him the title and all necessary information on the car including the original sticker price, showing all the options, including an aftermarket Bluetooth, maintenance receipts as well as the receipt showing that 1 week before the accident I had replaced 2 tires. I had made copies of everything to give me and by doing that I was able to get top dollar for a 2009 Nissan Murano, Less my $1000 Deductible. I received the check exactly 1 week later.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Great customer service, prompt and helpful. My last claim was handled in a timely manner and without stress. They made it extremely easy for me in every aspect. I am sure there are better companies and some for less money, but I have had good experiences with Travelers Auto Insurance and all my insurances are with them so I keep what I am used to.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I had an accident, I was hit in the side while I was stopped at a red light by someone backing out of a driveway of a business. That was Feb. 2016, my car was 3 months old. I have YET to be paid, no adjuster has called. The agent Terrance that was allegedly on my case called me once, asked for information and 2 months later, no call, I called him and he said he never got the police report. So why didn't he call and get it who knows. A couple months go by and I call again, he used the same excuse and told me I could pay the deductible and it would be faster. Um NO. I was hit, nor do I want to pay.

I had all the other driver info, I had the estimate, I ended up calling his manager, and every couple months I call and say, "What is up?" and they tell me "Can you get the report"? I gave them the report number, cop's name, etc. I haven't heard from the company in months. When I had Geico they called me ASAP and got my claim paid ASAP (for another accident). This company doesn't follow up at all, I am reporting it as I want my car fixed and I shouldn't have to pay them more money as in deductible for an accident I have not one ounce of fault in. I wouldn't recommend using them.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I was a passenger in a Travelers insured car accident where we were rear ended on the freeway while at a complete stop in traffic. The driver who hit us admitted to being at fault immediately. Although they were quick to pay my friend for his vehicle, receiving the medical attention that I need as a result of my injuries from the accident has been a horrific and arduous process. Less than six months after the accident Travelers told me that they would no longer pay for any medical appointments until I had an independent medical exam through one of their contracted employees. Five months later they have yet to schedule that exam and I haven't received any coverage since.

My body continues to ache, and my claims agent has refused to respond to my calls or emails for 3 months. Other than being a cold and heartless person, the person responsible for my claim has gone so far as to accuse me that I don't require the healthcare appointments I was receiving. Non-medical Travelers employees, accusing me of not needing medical attention. It's been a nightmare and if you love yourself or the people you drive in your cars do not choose this insurance company. They are happy to accept your monthly dues, but refuse to cover their end of the bargain.

Definitely the worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. It saddens me that this process has been so strenuous and complicated. My prior MVA experiences of receiving the care that I need in order to heal have never been so challenging as with Travelers. I feel as if I have to prove, double prove and cross verify that I am in fact injured. To be scrutinized and even accused of not having physical pain contributed to a car accident on the freeway is insulting. It's been heartbreaking, dramatic, and further hurtful after an already traumatic experience. In times when I've asked for information, clarification, and education on this process, I've been met with coldness, silence, and told I cannot receive the treatment I need due to Travelers bureaucratic processes. They are the quintessential example of a corrupt insurance company happy to accept dues but unwilling to provide the coverage you've been paying for.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I was signed up for another six months of insurance and I did not ask for. Had the nerve to send me a bill for three months of coverage that I did not have. Call to complain and lied. Told me I had coverage when they knew I didn't. Total scumbags, will never use them again. Call customer service and it was totally disrespectful, no help to the customer.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I got in an accident. It was my word against the other driver. We both ended up having to pay for our own even though it was his fault (he hit me from the back). I decided to turn in the claim. Travelers paid $1600 for the accident. My first claim and they immediately almost doubled my premium. I have been very fortunate (and hope to continue being) and have never had a claim in my nearly 20 year history. I am a very conservative and prudent driver. Travelers is awful. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

The worst costumer service in this planet. I have never insured my car with this company and I never will. The person who hit me my car did. It took two weeks after the accident to get approved for a rental car, which I couldn't get until my car was picked-up. Then, I receive the check six days after that, but the rental was for only 7 days (according to the insurance agent). I received the check Saturday afternoon, Monday was a holiday; therefore, the check was going to show in my account on Tuesday and was going to clear in 3 to 5 business days. I already put a down payment on a car, but I couldn't get it out of the lot until I paid the whole amount. I wasn't financing the car. I spoke to the same agent and explained the situation.

I only needed four more days of the rental so I can go to work since I just received the check. Besides, I just moved for work to this state and I didn't really know anyone or have any relatives here. I already took a few days off because of the accident and I couldn't take another week off. The agent replied: you pay for the rental because I am done with you! By far, the worst customer service ever!!! I was a customer service manager for several years before this new job and I've never spoke or treated anyone disrespectfully.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

My car was hit while parked by their insured driver who was drunk and arrested for d.u.i. She totaled my van. Travelers has mislead since day one. The voicemail will say the office is closed. Any person you speak with will tell you they are not who to talk to even though the number called is the number given to speak to a Travelers person. They told me 3-4 days after they receive title, I will get my check. 7 days after title was received, I get a runaround. Every person says check was cut. 2 weeks later nothing. The Florida office tells me 2 weeks after title was received it will be 4-8 days.

The adjuster was a rude piece of **. Underpaid. Lied and told me I should be thankful she was insured. Listen **, you should be thankful she was or you would not have a job. I would hate to be insured by them. They lie, mislead and speak down to you as if they are above laws, rules and common decency. Fake company, fake news. Must be owned by Trump.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I was rear ended on my way to work by a truck whose driver wasn't paying attention. He was charged and I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I have lost my house due to Travelers not reimbursing me for missed time from work, they say that because I did partially work, that I'm entitled to nothing. I was deemed not at fault but they are refusing to pay anything. I was sent a cheque for four dollars! Four dollars!!! The tally to the amount of money I am out as of today is over 5 thousand dollars. It took forever to get my cheque for my car and I had to literally beg for an extension on the rental. To get a similar car, I had to wipe out my savings.

Since then I have been at physio due to concussion and nerve damage but they will NOT pay a dime for that. So my wages from the time of accident to now, I am missing a lot of money. Nope, they won't cover that so I have lost my residence as of Feb 28. I had to go above to a supervisor and wanted my case reviewed again, which they are going to do but I am not hopeful. And to top it off, I was sent the personal, confidential medical records of someone else! Ooops! I've had to retain the services of a lawyer because of how badly this company has treated me, I'm in the process of getting other insurance quotes so I can leave. If I'm in another accident, I'm screwed... since I'll be now living in my car thanks to this awful, AWFUL company.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Our car was stolen from our driveway and used for drugs, joy riding, wrecked 5 times with damage to all sides of the car. We even believe that someone had sex in the car and left behind the proof! Stolen for 32 day and 15K miles add to the odometer. Sounds like a total loss to me but TRAVELERS Insurance is forcing me to take this car back and put my wife and two kids back in it. We are beyond disappointed and at a loss as to why this company would do this.

On day 32 (2 days after they started cutting the check) the car was found and TRAVELERS decided that it should be fixed. $3K ($15K in damages) from being a total loss and now I have to put my family back into this trashed car. The Police even told us the car would never be SAFE from the CRACK and METH that was done inside. TRAVELERS wants me to put my kids back into this car with only a detail clean on the inside. $280. My family is worth was more than $3K and $280 dollar cleaning.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I feel they are a good insurance company, but like most can always be better. I feel insurance cost way too much and that people should get more discounts especially if they don't have any past claims.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I was looking to change my car insurance company from a very liberal company Progressive to a more conservative backed company. I went to AMAC where I found out about Travelers Insurance. When I called to complete the transaction of setting up my policy, Travelers Insurance explained that their policy requires me to put my boyfriend on my policy and he never drives my cars nor would I allow him to drive them. He has his own vehicle which is 10 years newer than mine and he has his own insurance but they would not write a policy unless he is on it. Totally ridiculous. Well, though I'm not happy about Progressive's politics, it seems that I'm better off with them since their service has been good thus far.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

My daughter called for roadside assistance - Don’t trust them. They are low on the service provider. She waited 4 hours and we called repeatedly - They kept telling us the truck was on its way and then 45 minutes later we called back and they kept repeating the same and told her she could not leave the car. Then they told us to leave the car with the key on the tire so they could tow it but they were not responsible or my daughter should just continue to wait. They lied and lied and lied repeatedly all day. When she said she needed to leave and would call the next day they SUPERVISOR hung up on us, not we will schedule it for tomorrow NOTHING. I am so disgusted - I'm changing all my insurance. The lady treated it like it was our fault - and when I raised my voice they told me I shouldn't be - My daughter in the middle of Columbia SC in the freezing cold for 4.5 hours missed all her classes to wait and shouldn't be upset with all the LIES!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Organized. Smooth process. They always want their money back in premium. You pay still, just deferred. Good feedback from claims handlers.

Travelers Auto Insurance Company Information