2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

4.0/5 (942 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Travelers Auto Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells car, boat and property protection policies, as well as other coverages. It offers liability, collision, comprehensive, personal injury protection, medical payments and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It has add-on coverage options for rental cars, roadside assistance, accident forgiveness and ride-sharing.

Pros

• Insurance bundles available
  • Several discount opportunities
  • Multiple coverage options

Cons

• Extra charge for roadside assistance
  • Add-on coverage can be pricey

Bottom Line

Travelers offers various auto insurance options and several discount opportunities. Its add-on coverages like roadside assistance and accident forgiveness can be expensive, however.

Top Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

They are top notch. Customer service is great. Their technology is 1st level. Price-wise they beat everyone including Geico. I am impressed. Roadside assistance which I had to use...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Travelers car insurance coverage

Travelers offers a multitude of auto policy options. You can get instant online quotes and read about its insurance offerings on the company’s website. Its coverage options include:

• Liability
  • Comprehensive
  • Personal injury protection
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist
  • Collision
  • Medical payments

Policyholders can also add on extra coverage, including roadside assistance and new car replacement.

How does Travelers car insurance work?

You can request a free quote on the Travelers website. After entering your vehicle details and desired coverage, you’ll select your preferred deductible limit; lower deductible limits mean you’ll pay fewer out-of-pocket expenses in the case of an accident or repairs, but a higher deductible limit allows for a lower monthly premium. You can also add extra coverage to your policy for more protection — though additional coverage does increase your monthly premium.

Travelers car insurance quotes and costs

Travelers’ deductible limits range from $100 to $1,000. The cost of a Travelers car insurance policy varies based on:

• Vehicle age, mileage and condition
  • Deductible limit
  • Type(s) of coverage

Travelers offers many discount options, including:

• Multipolicy
  • Multicar
  • Hybrid/electric vehicle
  • Continuous insurance
  • Homeownership
  • Safe driver
  • Early quote
  • New car
  • EFT, pay in full and good payer
  • IntelliDrive program

It also has discounts for students and drivers in training, and it offers an affinity program for members of participating companies, associations and credit unions.

Travelers car insurance FAQ

Does Travelers offer accident forgiveness?
Yes, Travelers does offer accident forgiveness as an additional coverage option. Its Responsible Driver plan forgives one accident and one minor violation every 36 months, and its Premier Responsible Driver plan includes decreasing deductibles and total loss deductible waivers for an additional fee.
Who owns Travelers Insurance?
Travelers Insurance is owned by The Travelers Companies (previously known as Citigroup).
Does Travelers cover rental cars?
Yes, but rental car coverage is an additional coverage option; if you opt for this coverage, you can request a rental car if your vehicle is out of commission for more than 24 hours.
Does Travelers provide free roadside assistance?
No. The Travelers roadside assistance program is an additional coverage option and is not included in its standard policies.

Is Travelers car insurance good?

Travelers car insurance is a good option for individuals and families looking for auto coverage with multiple discount opportunities and low starting rates. However, because Travelers requires extra fees for add-ons like rental car coverage and roadside assistance, it might not be the best option for those who need an all-inclusive insurance policy.

Travelers Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 28, 2021

On 6/23/21 a 18 wheel Truck hit my car in the rear while on 75 north in Jonesboro, Ga. I called Travelers Auto Insurance whom I have coverage with. I got assigned a claim Manager Velma **. She provided very brief info, considering the fact that I have never been involved in a car accident. In this case I would have needed some guidance. Anyways whenever advised me to not use my insurance since I was not at fault. She explained that she is very busy and if I need to call her and she don’t pick up, select 0 and get her coworker to assist. Needless to say that every time you call no one from her Team pick up. So as a result you needed up leaving texts, voicemails and emails. The time I did get a rep, she was very informative and rude and. Pasha.

After having a poor customer service experience I reached out to Velma Supervisor named Kerri ** and she said emailed me saying she was in a meeting and wrote a entire email about the situation she knew nothing about. Instead of putting her Customer Service and Supervisory skills to work she just avoided me all together. Her meeting was 4 days ago and she still have not reached out to me via telephone as I requested. I finally was able to reach Ms. Velma Friday 6/25/2021 and advised her that I spoke to My Lawyer J Sanders and Associates and was informed that when I am not responsible for the wreck, then I would go through the other party responsible for any damages to my car and etc. I also requested that the Claim be canceled effective immediately.

Today is Monday 6/28/2021 I checked my online Travelers insurance and the Claim is still showing open and active. I called and was advised by Shameka that Ms. Velma is the only person able to cancel my claim. I called Ms. Velma and she does not pick up the phone. It’s weird that only 1 person in the entire Company can only cancel my claim. Travelers is by far the worst Insurance Company I have ever had a negative experience with. I would never recommend this Company to anyone.

Original review: June 1, 2021

I was just informed that Travelers Auto Insurance charges "processing fees" no matter how you pay unless you "pay the policy in full" or "trick the system by paying the monthly fee twenty-two days early". These fees are based on "interest of the policy per year at 18% divided by 365". I shouldn't have to "trick the system" or pay thousands of dollars for a full policy payment in order to avoid predatory fees. This is fraud at it's finest. Don't do business with Travelers.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My claims adjuster carefully considered all possible causes for a small dent in my new car door and ruled "comprehensive" with lower deductible instead of "collision" cause, which he could have done. Further, he carefully walked me through the process, arranged for a rental car, and was constantly available by phone and email. I felt like I had a sympathetic partner during the claims process, which was new to me. I would strongly recommend Travelers based on this experience.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

This is a warning to all not to buy this insurance. It's not worth. They left my husband stranded all night in the cold. He called at 9:30pm 12/26/2020. Dispatch called him back at 2:33pm 12/27/2020 to tell him they are on the way. The phone operator said they were going to be 90 minutes. I've never been so frustrated in my life.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

My claim got declined and I was told that reason is not covered however I asked specifically to the sales agent at the time of signing up and was confirmed that yes it is indeed covered. Now as expected they are playing the typical dirty tactics and have declined my claim. I want to warn everyone to take caution when signing up with this type of company. They always find a reason to turn down your claims. THIS COMPANY IS NOT RECOMMENDED. THEY ARE HERE TO JUST TAKE MONEY AND KEEP DECLINING YOUR CLAIMS. Absolute disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

It seems that the Travelers insurance seems to work for help people find the right auto insurance for people and people have helped with their insurance questions and they help them and some people do have their questions to be answered.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We moved to PA a little more than a year ago and had to find our new auto coverage. We stopped in at a local agency and the representative found us the most extensive coverage for far less than we paid in NY.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Have been insured with Travelers for 5 years. They have taken very good care of us. Both my wife and I have had accidents. They did an excellent job on handling our claims. That is why you buy Insurance. Plus in this uncertain times I know they are an A+ company.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The only times I really had to use my Travelers insurance was to continuously have my poor car towed after being broken down. They have such a quick and amazing process. You call, go through the automated service, then they text you a link so you can check the progress of the tow truck coming to your location. My previous insurance company definitely didn't offer that!

Original review: July 26, 2020

Just switched to them from USAA. Although USAA was great they were a little pricey and we needed to save money. Went through a broker who found this great rate. Haven't needed to file any claims yet. They give options for payment.

Travelers Auto Insurance Company Information