Travelers Auto Insurance
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Travelers Auto Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

151 Travelers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Worst experience ever in 45+ years of buying auto insurance. In a telephone call, the "Welcome Center" agent was annoying and offensive, even to the point of implying I was lying because my current situation did not match the information he had from some suspect source. This was 4 days before my policy was to be effective. The experience was so unpleasant I called and immediately canceled. I would avoid Travelers at all costs, no matter the premium.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was in an accident Nov. 21, 2017. I have been fighting with this insurance company for 12 plus weeks trying to get my settlement on my vehicle. They took my vehicle 3 weeks ago, along with the title and I have yet to receive my payment for it. I have had nothing but problems with this company, and gonna have to take legal action now cause I no longer have my vehicle, nor payment and now receiving hospital bills, that they were supposed to pay, and they have not. Do not, whatsoever go with Travelers Insurance, they are a joke! As soon as my stuff is settled with them, I will be dropping them and finding an insurance company that actually takes care of their people, instead of just taking their money each month for worthless insurance!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was ran into by someone with their insurance. They are the slowest moving insurance company I have ever experienced. 100% their clients fault by police report. And nothing but incompetence and confusion on their side. Ended up having to have repair company and my insurance to go after them to get things going. Now having issues getting replacement car. I personal will never use this insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Travelers Auto Insurance has been fair and honest with me. They may be a bit pricey for their products but, they are a great value if you expect good returns on your investment. I suggest purchasing directly from Travelers' main office located on the internet. You contact by phone and provide the necessary information of what you care to insure and you will get a quote and the process can begin. Many options to pay for your insurance are available. Give them a try. I have had many insurance carriers over the last 50 years and I like this group. Safe driver discounts with home and auto package discounts. They do not insure ATVs if you need this coverage. My vehicle was hit and run. I called Travelers' and within 2 days the adjuster came and settled the claim.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I work at a dealership so I deal with Auto Insurance companies all day just about every day. I also know how busy they can be and so very understanding of this. Today was my FIRST day ever dealing with this company "Travelers/Partners Insurance." First, I'm going through this lady Margaret and she tells me two minutes before she leaves she's leaving now and get her the information to get proof of insurance. I literally sent this information as soon as she said to. She disregarded the fact I asked her for the proof - So I call and find out she left the office already... (Meanwhile our mutual customer is literally waiting patiently for 3 HOURS to get this information. I finally call back come to find out the lady can't even provide me with proof of insurance and to call the 877 number. I do just as they asked and called, the lady who answered seemed pretty understanding and to get the information.

I asked twice, "please wait on the phone with me just so I can confirm I get the email of the insurance". She told me she can't wait. She's very busy. In the middle of asking her PLEASE wait... She hangs up on me!!! I looked twice at the phone, like... I've worked and been so frustrated and have never hung up on ANYONE especially while working. I would never refer any of my customers to this company, and I WILL be letting everyone I come in contact know just how terrible this company and the customer service is - and HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET THE PROOF!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In my experience with Travelers I have found that they are dishonest and will look for any possible excuse to save a buck on your dime even if that means flat out lying on their end. Pray that no one insured by them ever happens to hit your car. They will not cover it even if that person tells you and them that they are at fault. Do not get involved with this company! By far the worst experience that I have ever had with an insurance company. Do not waste your money. There are tons of bad reviews and stories of horrible service from them that I have read as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice in having to deal with them since their insured drove into me while I was stopped but I will never use them for any future insurance needs if I have a choice in the matter!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I had Travelers for three years and never in my life caused an accident. I had a lady hit me and Travelers never investigated it, blamed me and sent me a nonrenewal letter. Email me your experience. I'm fighting back as long as it takes.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This company is horrible! I will give it negative 100 score. They gave me an insurance policy of 1,534$ for 6 months, however, after a month they add 3,213$ that makes my bill 3 times the original. This company is going after only for money and not for good service, they fooled me from the start and robbed after a while. I will gave this Travelers Insurance a negative 100 rating.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have been waiting for an answer for a vehicle crash for more than Two months. We have called and called. Being told “you will a have an answer by Friday” and after being told that for 8 weeks it simply means we were lied to as 2 months on we have no answers and Are still being told “by Friday” and given no other options or information... This company lies and is simply bad at their job and customer service. I will remove my policy after this.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I hit a piece of cardboard 4x4 ft at 70 miles hr and it cracked my driver side headlight and some paint damage. Even though I just washed my car 1 week before and there was no damage, and I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube 2 1/2 weeks before and they reported it was fine. The company says the light is all cracked up due to wear and tear even though the lights are only 3 yrs old. And the other side is just fine????

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Travelers Auto Insurance rates go up every year even though I have no traffic violations/vehicle is a year older and I am also a year older. Filing a claim is average. When your premium goes up just shop around, you'll always find another company willing to take your business with a cheaper rate.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Adjuster from Travelers insurance estimated my roof damage repairs at about $15,000, but handed me a check for about $10,000. Went into a long elaborate explanation of completing the work to get paid, depreciation review, assuring me I would get the remaining. It was not too clear, I asked him to explain about depreciation review again and I got another long elaborate explanation. I was clearly told that if repairs were underestimate I can pay the contractor myself and anything extra I could keep and that Travelers didn’t want to know about it unless it went over budget.

I believe I was clearly misled to believe that the portion withheld was to make sure the job got done and anything left was my incentive to get the best rates. After work was completed I got a clear two sentence reply that, no, I misunderstood, and, "Thank you for getting everything done under $10,000 but we never offered you an incentive." The deception was all the long confusing explanation to make me believe one thing before the work was started and a clear explanation after it was complete that left me working unpaid to save them money. Still better than GEICO.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I took my car to Ken Towery‘s on July 8, 2017 for an oil change. Within one week my car was damage from lack of oil. My car had two different oil leaks, I took it back two different times. They failed to fix the problem. As a result of that my car engine was damaged. I cooperated fully with Travelers Auto Insurance. In the end they did not assume responsibility. This went on for about four months. I took them to court and I won. Make them assume responsibility. Do not give up!! It was a nightmare but it’s over now!

If someone damages your engine from a service they performed don’t even talk to the insurance company. Get your own inspector. Ken Towery was bought out by Monro Muffler approximately four years ago. They are based out of New York. Do not have confidence at the service you have paid for has been done properly. Don’t be afraid to ask them to leave your car on the racks and check your oil filter, check your oil plug to make sure everything was done properly, when it comes down from the rack be sure to check your oil level. I hope this helps someone because I felt all alone. All I wanted was someone to tell the truth. They didn’t. Let the courts decide for you. The proof was in the evidence.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

They are my insurance company. I was rear ended at a stop light and it is three years later and still are stonewalling me from getting the section b coverage to get well. They sent me to a "specialist" that has no real knowledge of my issues and I have 3 specialist that have given me positive diagnosis of my condition and still they Stonewall me.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been with Travelers for over 10 years. Last year I received my first ever speeding ticket in 49 years of driving, for 5 MPH over the speed limit. (Show me anyone has never driven 5 MPH over at some point!) Travelers jacked my premium up 50% and refused to reconsider. Based on my record they should be offering a "good driver" discount! So long to Travelers; found a much better rate with a major insurer to replace them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

When I retired I changed auto insurance carriers because it was a payroll deduction policy that I had. I called and got several quotes before deciding on Travelers. I received a quote of $994 annually if I paid in full and had it withdrawn through EFT from my checking account. I agreed to all of this and started the policy on Aug. 20. Several days later I received a note from Travelers asking me to call to confirm my information. They asked all the same questions that the agent I set my account up with did prior to my accepting the policy.

One week after this phone call I received a letter informing me that based on my phone conversation my policy was increasing $508 dollars per year. That is more than a 50% increase. This is unacceptable and fraudulent. I will contacting every agency I can to let them know about this underhanded action. I called my original agent and she said it was out of her hands. Either she was totally incompetent when writing the policy or whoever does the followup phone calls is a sleazeball. Either way I will NOT be treated this way.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I was sitting at a red light when a man hit me from behind. As I got out of the car, he was backing up. The police clearly said the accident wasn't my fault. However the man claimed someone hit him and pushed his car into mine. I knew he was lying but couldn't prove it. So Geico stated that their client was "innocent" and they were not responsible. Travelers said I would have to pay my $500 deductible. The estimate was around $526, and they were willing to pay $26. I know people who have been hit from behind. You are supposed to be in control of your car at all times. This man and Geico are responsible, and yet Travelers went ahead and closed the claim while I was preparing for hurricane Irma in Florida. Stay away from these people. They did not fight for me, and never gave me a reasonable explanation for why they wouldn't.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was the involved in 2 accidents within 3 months. Both accidents were the fault of the other drivers. I called their 24 hr. service number both times and their agents were quick to start the process of a rental car when needed, arranging for their adjuster to assess my damages and keeping me well informed of the progress of my claim. Both times I needed to open a medical claim and the process was handled flawlessly. The 2nd accident totaled my vehicle and they had my settlement to me in less than 10 days so that I could purchase a new vehicle. They arranged for a rental vehicle asap for both accidents within 24 hrs.

I'm still going thru treatment for my injuries and they call me weekly to check on my progress. Their entire staff did a great job and continues this same outstanding performance. This is only my second year with this company and I am impressed with their outstanding customer service. The staff went above and beyond. I would not hesitate to recommend Travelers to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My vehicle was t-boned, not at fault. Travelers under-appraised the damages almost $3000. When I argued the vehicle should have been a write off with $11000 in damages. They ignored phone calls and emails for weeks on end. They have zero customer service and they are the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Do not sign with these scam artists.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with Travelers was. To keep my policy Travelers gave me a small list of minor repairs they requested me to have done to my home before a specific date to keep my policy. So as requested I did the repairs and after each repair I emailed the picture of each repair. The due date was coming up and I didn't hear a word as to what was happening so I called and was told Travelers need one more thing corrected so again I got that completed. Emailed them pictures. Still no call. At this time I was getting nervous because due date was in 2 days. So again I called and was told everything they asked for and need was good. The person told me to hold and she would contact the underwriter to make sure everything on their part was good. So a few minutes went by. The agent came back told me that I would get a call back within an hour to let me know if there was anything else.

I stressed to the agent the due date was the following day. I need to get this completed today. And it was 3 pm on a Friday. Well no call. Nothing at all. So Monday morning August 14 at 9 am I called Travelers and was told they had emailed me information that everything was ok just wanted my permission to update all information. But the email address was not mine so I never received it. So now they said that they have to rewrite my policy make a new one. I'm already paid in full for the entire year in advance and they’re going to have to rewrite my policy for the mistake they made. I told them that I did not like that idea. I was told that if I didn't agree to the new policy I would lose my insurance coverage. BECAUSE OF THEIR MISTAKE THE CUSTOMER SUFFERS THE CONSEQUENCES. THAT TO ME OR ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OF TRAVELERS IS NOT RIGHT.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been a customer of Travelers for over 3 years and although I don't have a great driving record, every time I have been in an accident, they have made my life a living hell. And now that I needed to switch a vehicle onto my policy after another recent accident, my policy did go up. Which I did see coming but every time I turn around, they come up with some other reason that I need to pay more and more money and are waiting to the last minute or waiting for me to find out on my own after I was already told I would be paying a certain price. And now they are refusing to take the extra payments off and that I need to pay them even though in other recorded conversations, I was not told about extra payments.

I don't feel like they should be getting away with this but with my driving record, I have no choice but to pay it due to nobody else being willing to insure me for less than or the same as what I am paying with them. Anyone know of any way I can avoid paying these extra installments due to me being told I would be paying a different amount.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My car was damaged in a church parking lot while it was legally parked and stationary. The woman who damaged the car indicated to me on site her fault in the incident stating she "did not see the car". She also stated she would write me a check to pay for the damages and also gave me her insurance information. I immediately had the car repair estimated and contacted her with the cost. She said she would have to report it to her insurance company (Travelers). I was contacted by Ms. Catherine **, her agent, and asked for a recorded statement which I gave. I was then called the next day and told that the claim was her word against mine and that Travelers would not be paying the claim.

The rationale in the written document state that I had not yielded the right of way to their client. I responded stating that there was no right of way in question since my car was legally parked in a parking space and was not moving. Ms. ** also stated that her client stated she never damaged my car. An email denial was then received. I wonder how Travelers can respond in such a way since their client called them in the first place to report the incident! How many of us call our insurance companies to say that we have NOT had an accident that we want to report. It sounds fishy to me and I wonder who is more conniving, the woman who damaged my car, Ms. **, or Travelers Insurance Co.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I called to file my claim with Marion **. I told this adjuster how Highland Paving company in Fayetteville, NC gave me the runaround and how I felt he told me that he had to consult with the insurer and call me back and wasn't sure if my windshield would be covered anyways. My co-workers were listening on speakerphone. They said he is rude call back and request a more respectful person. I call back and request that but the lady connected me to Mr. Marion again. He raised his voice and disrespected me and hung up.

This is the most humiliating thing I ever experienced, Highland Paving company of Fayetteville, NC had paving flying from their trailer on truck crack my windshield now travelers insurance of Charlotte NC insurance adjuster Marion ** fussing and hanging up and both companies to me and from what I read are scam artists. I have witnesses that seen the paving crack my windshield, witnesses to hear the Highland Paving Harvey guy try to scam, and witnesses that heard how the traveler's insurance adjuster Marion ** talked to me twice.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Actually up until today I was having an ordinary experience with my car insurance (Travelers). Premiums were acceptable until today. Literally out of the blue my insurance premium went up. I have a perfect driving record w/o accidents or citations! My insurance went up $750.00. No notice no anything. From $1475.00 to $2,300.00 I had been reading negative reviews about them, and now I can surely join in. Stay away from Travelers insurance company!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

My wife was involved in an accident with a Travelers Auto Insurance policyholder. She was rear ended and not at fault. It was difficult getting the adjuster to come look at our vehicle. It took multiple calls. When he did, he quoted cheap, aftermarket parts even though I requested genuine Ford parts be used. The company refused even after I complained. The other vehicle (the policy holders vehicle) was repaired with genuine GM parts at their request. Stay away from these people. They truly don't care.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I had Liberty Mutual and got a rate increase after having them as my insurance co for 53 yrs with no explanation. That was not the first time there was no communication with them and there should have been. Also their local agent was very condescending and Curt. I expect more than coverage for 53 yrs of loyalty. I received that from Travelers before I choose them as my company and their rates were less than I paid for insuring my 2000 Toyota Avalon XL. Paid $35,000 for it new and never had an accident. But speaking with Travelers' reps is always professional and very courteous. Also, agents are very knowledgeable and suggest the best coverage for the lowest cost available. I am 71 and drive a 2016 Lexus ES300h about 2500 mi a yr for about $2,800.

Original review: July 6, 2017

PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY! They have the best/cheapest automobile rate quotes, rates are low when you first buy their insurance, then at every 6 months renewal it goes up. I had insurance (auto & home) since Feb 2016 ($382/6 mos)), Aug 2016 ($360/6 mos), Feb 2017 ($394/6 mos) and now for Aug 2017 my new renewal rate ($427/6 mos)... I have had no accidents or tickets so why has my insurance rates increase every 6 months? My answer; they need to make up for other policy holders' accidents or other losses/claims so every 6 months they jack up other GOOD drivers' policies rates. I called to ask and she talking about because the rate increase in Texas. Every 6 months? BS!!! There has not been no rate increase in Texas.

Well, looks like I will be switching to another insurance company before my renewal, one that doesn't lure you in with their low rated quotes then slowly increase the rate with some lame ass excuse in order to make up for their loss from other policy holders claims or other losses/claims. I rated Customer Service - 1 STAR because of the lie the CSR told about Texas rates increases. I rated Value - 1 STAR because it's not worth every 6 mos increase for GOOD drivers. I rated Coverage - 1 STAR because the coverage rates start out cheaper that other companies but slowly increased every 6 mos til it SUCKS.

Original review: June 28, 2017

First of all, I'm a disabled vet on Social Security and Medicare. I don't have a lot of money. On Saturday June 17th my 2000 Windstar van was sitting in front of my house and was hit from behind by a Farmer insured driver and pushed 50 feet into the back of my neighbor's car. I use the van as my primary driver and I've also built a removable framework where I can just remove the two rear seats and snap the framework to the seat posts and I then have a set up for a bed, cooler, etc. for camping. I am a very meticulous person and I always keep the maintenance up to date. Two week before the accident I spent $1,300 for new struts, CV axle and had the transmission serviced. I was planning on a low budget camping trip on the Strait of Juan De Fuca in NW, Washington.

On Monday the 19th Farmers sent an appraiser to look at the damage and document the van's condition, special features and recent repairs or maintenance. My van is very well equipped with an extra sliding door, air front and back, tilt wheel, alloy wheels and the interior was spotless. I provided the recent $1300 receipts. I'd say my van was in good condition. There was one small dent in the front bumper and a small crack in the windshield before the accident. I will also say the van was deemed totaled in 2011. Because the van was such a good runner I bought it back for $800 because there was only minor cosmetic damage and needed a radiator. There was nothing that affected the running gear. I bought the parts and had it fixed to the same condition it was before that accident. (Also not my fault).

Now it's two weeks later, I've been unable to go on vacation and Farmers wants to give me $1800 noting it was totaled in 2011. To purchase another van in my area I will need to pay between $3500 and $5000. The $5000 van has 30,000 more miles than my van. I was hoping to get $2500 taking into consideration the total, the condition and the recent repairs. I feel $1800 is an insult considering the recent repairs. I'm guessing that between the appraiser and the 2 weeks the pencil pushing bean counters time to figure what they could get away with it cost Farmers $2,000 in wages. So now Farmers is going to be out about $3800 and have a very unhappy customer. I have done nothing wrong, I've been unable to go on vacation and it will probably cost me another $2,000 to replace my van. (That's the two weeks wages Farmers paid their people to screw me).

Original review: June 28, 2017

I had Utica through AAA - 2 cars $1900 full coverage! I had no problems until I added the boyfriend with not a great record. It went from $1900 to about $3000 for 3 cars fully covered. I then sold 1 car but it came down $100 and then a non renewal Letter in August! I had trouble finding a company after that but Progressive wrote us for the 2 cars for over $7000 for a 2009 Nissan in 2016!!!

4 Months in, my boyfriend had a heart attack in December and drove into a tree. Thankfully no other cars were involved with that. Immediate Bypass surgery followed by 11 days in a coma, but after joining with them and being raised to over 7 grand, with 7 months left on the policy paying almost 700 a month and once that totaled car came off they gave me back less than $200 with 8 months left!!!! And a letter stating they would not renew me.

After we leased a 2016 Subaru I shopped around and found Travelers through a broker. At first she was high. After I demanded to speak to her boss and was able to explain our situation I was able to get a new policy for around $2500. So I am very happy with Travelers, not only their pricing but their customer service has been fantastic!!!

I once filed a claim. I was not driving and the person who was hit a patch of ice and spun out and was taken to the hospital by ambulance to the ICU. As there were no other cars involved, I waited a few days to put in the claim until I could find my car and find out some of the details. After 6 hours on the phone calling every police department in Westchester County NY I finally found it with the State Police and as of Feb 14 I have yet to get a promised call back from the officer at the scene.

I worked in Collision for 14 years so once I had found the car and until I was able to see it I waited to call the Insurance Company. The accident was on a Sunday. I found the car 5 am Tuesday went to see it, knew it was totaled and Emptied it out. I called Travelers on Wednesday to put in the claim. Thursday I went to meet the adjuster at the body shop, brought him the title and all necessary information on the car including the original sticker price, showing all the options, including an aftermarket Bluetooth, maintenance receipts as well as the receipt showing that 1 week before the accident I had replaced 2 tires. I had made copies of everything to give me and by doing that I was able to get top dollar for a 2009 Nissan Murano, Less my $1000 Deductible. I received the check exactly 1 week later.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I had an accident, I was hit in the side while I was stopped at a red light by someone backing out of a driveway of a business. That was Feb. 2016, my car was 3 months old. I have YET to be paid, no adjuster has called. The agent Terrance that was allegedly on my case called me once, asked for information and 2 months later, no call, I called him and he said he never got the police report. So why didn't he call and get it who knows. A couple months go by and I call again, he used the same excuse and told me I could pay the deductible and it would be faster. Um NO. I was hit, nor do I want to pay.

I had all the other driver info, I had the estimate, I ended up calling his manager, and every couple months I call and say, "What is up?" and they tell me "Can you get the report"? I gave them the report number, cop's name, etc. I haven't heard from the company in months. When I had Geico they called me ASAP and got my claim paid ASAP (for another accident). This company doesn't follow up at all, I am reporting it as I want my car fixed and I shouldn't have to pay them more money as in deductible for an accident I have not one ounce of fault in. I wouldn't recommend using them.

Travelers Auto Insurance Company Information

Travelers
www.travelers.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use