Call toll free*
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Travelers Auto Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 23, 2018

158 Travelers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

We purchased the same coverage from the same company through our credit union with a saving of $500 a year over the local insurance agent we had been getting our coverage through.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Have had issues with issuance of home and car insurance policies since purchasing insurance in November. What was purchased in November 2017: Car insurance for Eos with both self and spouse covered, Car insurance on Santa Fe for both, Home insurance. What was changed in December: 1. Removal of Santa Fe December 8th and both on this policy. 2. Addition of Santa Fe and spouse with State Farm. 3. Payment for 6 months policy on Eos and driver. What actually happened: 1. Santa Fe with spouse as driver. 2. No home insurance was EVER issued. 3. Eos and self as driver without policy.

Attempts for Resolution: 1. Continuous emails billing for spouse on Santa Fe policy. 2. Continually replying to emails attempting to remedy errors. 3. Continually calling for same. 4. Receiving promises for management to return calls, failing repeatedly to do so. Resolutions To Date: None. Actions Taken To Date: Customer complaints and reviews filed including BBB, Consumer Report, etc. Injury to Customer: 1. Lapse in home insurance policy. 2. Lapse in auto insurance policy. 3. Damage to Credit. 4. Difficult to obtain home insurance. 5. At Risk homeowners and driver due to lapses in policies and inability to remedy issue. 6. Inability to receive refund for purchased policy since policy can’t be found nor payment by company.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Very unprofessional and impersonal. Took a while to get things set up to get my vehicle repaired (rear-ended). Communication was awful as I often had to reach out to them rather than the opposite. When the rental car company they use, Enterprise, refused my rental because of a 10 yr. old, 1 year long alcohol restriction on my DL, that took the cake. I informed the agent of this via email, to which I received no response. Like I said, absolutely no communication at all.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have had Travelers Insurance for 3 years. First year rate was reasonable. Second year auto insurance policy increased 270.00. This year the same policy increased by 545.00. Was told Travelers increased everyone's policy. They also increased our home policy by 120.00. Had minor claim because woman came through our fence, yard up to almost coming through our home. Woman got car started and left the scene. Police and Travelers did nothing to apprehend woman. I gave insurance and police license and description of car. This rate adjustment seems way out. So that means a rate increase of 945.00 including home policy. Goodbye to Travelers Insurance.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My divorce to my ex was final Sept 30th last year. I called my agent to remove her and got a new quote for $597 for two cheap cars, sure I have an 18 year old teenager that had an accident earlier last year and so this high premium was expected. For the last 5 months I was struggling to contain my ever increasing credit card balance and I found out recently that Travelers has increased my premium from $597 to $1495! They claim they sent me a policy renewal/disclosure on Nov 27th 2017.

I may have received it, but with everything happening, daughter going off to college and trying to figure out how to keep my head above water with the divorce settlement that left me financially destitute, I may have missed this. It shouldn't be legal for an insurance company to do this without consent from the policy owner. I would have either switched or simply let my daughter stop driving as I cannot afford this. I have already started shopping around and have two quotes from other insurers for the same coverage for about the same price I was paying before they decided to gouge me. This company doesn't care about its policyholders.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: March 15, 2018

Their client hit me and from day one this company was trouble! They lie, they refuse to offer reasonable offers to pay off my car, which was in very good condition while they offered me fair condition, and they are only out for profit with nothing else in mind whatsoever. THEN they STOLE MY CAR OFF the lot before I agreed to ANY CONDITIONS! Literally had to contact the police and start the process of filing grand theft auto for my car to be returned.

After 2 days they returned my car yet tried to blame the collision center after lying about me giving permission to take the car. I called the corporate office, and was called a liar and after which they never would return phone calls. Josh ** and his manager named Genesis NEVER called me back until I contacted my insurance company. The customer service for this company is just appalling. Good luck getting anything done, it's pretty clear they don't care about anyone or anything other than their pockets. I'm the one at fault according to the way they handle business after THEIR CLIENT hit me. DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING ANYTHING WITH THESE GROUP OF DEGENERATE INGRATES!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I had this company as my insurance carrier for many years without a single claim. I had several policies with them including my homeowner's. My small dog bit a waitress, (the bite didn't even break the skin). The waitress then sent me a demand for $2600 and I agreed to pay it if she signed a release. The next thing I know, I get a letter from an “ambulance chasing” attorney demanding I supply the name of my insurance company. Travelers has now been scammed by an opportunistic waitress. Such is the nature of large corporations with vulnerable bureaucracies. I canceled all of my policies with this company and urge every consumer to avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Worst experience ever in 45+ years of buying auto insurance. In a telephone call, the "Welcome Center" agent was annoying and offensive, even to the point of implying I was lying because my current situation did not match the information he had from some suspect source. This was 4 days before my policy was to be effective. The experience was so unpleasant I called and immediately canceled. I would avoid Travelers at all costs, no matter the premium.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was in an accident Nov. 21, 2017. I have been fighting with this insurance company for 12 plus weeks trying to get my settlement on my vehicle. They took my vehicle 3 weeks ago, along with the title and I have yet to receive my payment for it. I have had nothing but problems with this company, and gonna have to take legal action now cause I no longer have my vehicle, nor payment and now receiving hospital bills, that they were supposed to pay, and they have not. Do not, whatsoever go with Travelers Insurance, they are a joke! As soon as my stuff is settled with them, I will be dropping them and finding an insurance company that actually takes care of their people, instead of just taking their money each month for worthless insurance!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was ran into by someone with their insurance. They are the slowest moving insurance company I have ever experienced. 100% their clients fault by police report. And nothing but incompetence and confusion on their side. Ended up having to have repair company and my insurance to go after them to get things going. Now having issues getting replacement car. I personal will never use this insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Travelers Auto Insurance has been fair and honest with me. They may be a bit pricey for their products but, they are a great value if you expect good returns on your investment. I suggest purchasing directly from Travelers' main office located on the internet. You contact by phone and provide the necessary information of what you care to insure and you will get a quote and the process can begin. Many options to pay for your insurance are available. Give them a try. I have had many insurance carriers over the last 50 years and I like this group. Safe driver discounts with home and auto package discounts. They do not insure ATVs if you need this coverage. My vehicle was hit and run. I called Travelers' and within 2 days the adjuster came and settled the claim.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I work at a dealership so I deal with Auto Insurance companies all day just about every day. I also know how busy they can be and so very understanding of this. Today was my FIRST day ever dealing with this company "Travelers/Partners Insurance." First, I'm going through this lady Margaret and she tells me two minutes before she leaves she's leaving now and get her the information to get proof of insurance. I literally sent this information as soon as she said to. She disregarded the fact I asked her for the proof - So I call and find out she left the office already... (Meanwhile our mutual customer is literally waiting patiently for 3 HOURS to get this information. I finally call back come to find out the lady can't even provide me with proof of insurance and to call the 877 number. I do just as they asked and called, the lady who answered seemed pretty understanding and to get the information.

I asked twice, "please wait on the phone with me just so I can confirm I get the email of the insurance". She told me she can't wait. She's very busy. In the middle of asking her PLEASE wait... She hangs up on me!!! I looked twice at the phone, like... I've worked and been so frustrated and have never hung up on ANYONE especially while working. I would never refer any of my customers to this company, and I WILL be letting everyone I come in contact know just how terrible this company and the customer service is - and HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET THE PROOF!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In my experience with Travelers I have found that they are dishonest and will look for any possible excuse to save a buck on your dime even if that means flat out lying on their end. Pray that no one insured by them ever happens to hit your car. They will not cover it even if that person tells you and them that they are at fault. Do not get involved with this company! By far the worst experience that I have ever had with an insurance company. Do not waste your money. There are tons of bad reviews and stories of horrible service from them that I have read as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice in having to deal with them since their insured drove into me while I was stopped but I will never use them for any future insurance needs if I have a choice in the matter!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I had Travelers for three years and never in my life caused an accident. I had a lady hit me and Travelers never investigated it, blamed me and sent me a nonrenewal letter. Email me your experience. I'm fighting back as long as it takes.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This company is horrible! I will give it negative 100 score. They gave me an insurance policy of 1,534$ for 6 months, however, after a month they add 3,213$ that makes my bill 3 times the original. This company is going after only for money and not for good service, they fooled me from the start and robbed after a while. I will gave this Travelers Insurance a negative 100 rating.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have been waiting for an answer for a vehicle crash for more than Two months. We have called and called. Being told “you will a have an answer by Friday” and after being told that for 8 weeks it simply means we were lied to as 2 months on we have no answers and Are still being told “by Friday” and given no other options or information... This company lies and is simply bad at their job and customer service. I will remove my policy after this.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I hit a piece of cardboard 4x4 ft at 70 miles hr and it cracked my driver side headlight and some paint damage. Even though I just washed my car 1 week before and there was no damage, and I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube 2 1/2 weeks before and they reported it was fine. The company says the light is all cracked up due to wear and tear even though the lights are only 3 yrs old. And the other side is just fine????

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Travelers Auto Insurance rates go up every year even though I have no traffic violations/vehicle is a year older and I am also a year older. Filing a claim is average. When your premium goes up just shop around, you'll always find another company willing to take your business with a cheaper rate.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Adjuster from Travelers insurance estimated my roof damage repairs at about $15,000, but handed me a check for about $10,000. Went into a long elaborate explanation of completing the work to get paid, depreciation review, assuring me I would get the remaining. It was not too clear, I asked him to explain about depreciation review again and I got another long elaborate explanation. I was clearly told that if repairs were underestimate I can pay the contractor myself and anything extra I could keep and that Travelers didn’t want to know about it unless it went over budget.

I believe I was clearly misled to believe that the portion withheld was to make sure the job got done and anything left was my incentive to get the best rates. After work was completed I got a clear two sentence reply that, no, I misunderstood, and, "Thank you for getting everything done under $10,000 but we never offered you an incentive." The deception was all the long confusing explanation to make me believe one thing before the work was started and a clear explanation after it was complete that left me working unpaid to save them money. Still better than GEICO.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I took my car to Ken Towery‘s on July 8, 2017 for an oil change. Within one week my car was damage from lack of oil. My car had two different oil leaks, I took it back two different times. They failed to fix the problem. As a result of that my car engine was damaged. I cooperated fully with Travelers Auto Insurance. In the end they did not assume responsibility. This went on for about four months. I took them to court and I won. Make them assume responsibility. Do not give up!! It was a nightmare but it’s over now!

If someone damages your engine from a service they performed don’t even talk to the insurance company. Get your own inspector. Ken Towery was bought out by Monro Muffler approximately four years ago. They are based out of New York. Do not have confidence at the service you have paid for has been done properly. Don’t be afraid to ask them to leave your car on the racks and check your oil filter, check your oil plug to make sure everything was done properly, when it comes down from the rack be sure to check your oil level. I hope this helps someone because I felt all alone. All I wanted was someone to tell the truth. They didn’t. Let the courts decide for you. The proof was in the evidence.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

They are my insurance company. I was rear ended at a stop light and it is three years later and still are stonewalling me from getting the section b coverage to get well. They sent me to a "specialist" that has no real knowledge of my issues and I have 3 specialist that have given me positive diagnosis of my condition and still they Stonewall me.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been with Travelers for over 10 years. Last year I received my first ever speeding ticket in 49 years of driving, for 5 MPH over the speed limit. (Show me anyone has never driven 5 MPH over at some point!) Travelers jacked my premium up 50% and refused to reconsider. Based on my record they should be offering a "good driver" discount! So long to Travelers; found a much better rate with a major insurer to replace them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

When I retired I changed auto insurance carriers because it was a payroll deduction policy that I had. I called and got several quotes before deciding on Travelers. I received a quote of $994 annually if I paid in full and had it withdrawn through EFT from my checking account. I agreed to all of this and started the policy on Aug. 20. Several days later I received a note from Travelers asking me to call to confirm my information. They asked all the same questions that the agent I set my account up with did prior to my accepting the policy.

One week after this phone call I received a letter informing me that based on my phone conversation my policy was increasing $508 dollars per year. That is more than a 50% increase. This is unacceptable and fraudulent. I will contacting every agency I can to let them know about this underhanded action. I called my original agent and she said it was out of her hands. Either she was totally incompetent when writing the policy or whoever does the followup phone calls is a sleazeball. Either way I will NOT be treated this way.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I was sitting at a red light when a man hit me from behind. As I got out of the car, he was backing up. The police clearly said the accident wasn't my fault. However the man claimed someone hit him and pushed his car into mine. I knew he was lying but couldn't prove it. So Geico stated that their client was "innocent" and they were not responsible. Travelers said I would have to pay my $500 deductible. The estimate was around $526, and they were willing to pay $26. I know people who have been hit from behind. You are supposed to be in control of your car at all times. This man and Geico are responsible, and yet Travelers went ahead and closed the claim while I was preparing for hurricane Irma in Florida. Stay away from these people. They did not fight for me, and never gave me a reasonable explanation for why they wouldn't.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was the involved in 2 accidents within 3 months. Both accidents were the fault of the other drivers. I called their 24 hr. service number both times and their agents were quick to start the process of a rental car when needed, arranging for their adjuster to assess my damages and keeping me well informed of the progress of my claim. Both times I needed to open a medical claim and the process was handled flawlessly. The 2nd accident totaled my vehicle and they had my settlement to me in less than 10 days so that I could purchase a new vehicle. They arranged for a rental vehicle asap for both accidents within 24 hrs.

I'm still going thru treatment for my injuries and they call me weekly to check on my progress. Their entire staff did a great job and continues this same outstanding performance. This is only my second year with this company and I am impressed with their outstanding customer service. The staff went above and beyond. I would not hesitate to recommend Travelers to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My vehicle was t-boned, not at fault. Travelers under-appraised the damages almost $3000. When I argued the vehicle should have been a write off with $11000 in damages. They ignored phone calls and emails for weeks on end. They have zero customer service and they are the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Do not sign with these scam artists.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with Travelers was. To keep my policy Travelers gave me a small list of minor repairs they requested me to have done to my home before a specific date to keep my policy. So as requested I did the repairs and after each repair I emailed the picture of each repair. The due date was coming up and I didn't hear a word as to what was happening so I called and was told Travelers need one more thing corrected so again I got that completed. Emailed them pictures. Still no call. At this time I was getting nervous because due date was in 2 days. So again I called and was told everything they asked for and need was good. The person told me to hold and she would contact the underwriter to make sure everything on their part was good. So a few minutes went by. The agent came back told me that I would get a call back within an hour to let me know if there was anything else.

I stressed to the agent the due date was the following day. I need to get this completed today. And it was 3 pm on a Friday. Well no call. Nothing at all. So Monday morning August 14 at 9 am I called Travelers and was told they had emailed me information that everything was ok just wanted my permission to update all information. But the email address was not mine so I never received it. So now they said that they have to rewrite my policy make a new one. I'm already paid in full for the entire year in advance and they’re going to have to rewrite my policy for the mistake they made. I told them that I did not like that idea. I was told that if I didn't agree to the new policy I would lose my insurance coverage. BECAUSE OF THEIR MISTAKE THE CUSTOMER SUFFERS THE CONSEQUENCES. THAT TO ME OR ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OF TRAVELERS IS NOT RIGHT.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been a customer of Travelers for over 3 years and although I don't have a great driving record, every time I have been in an accident, they have made my life a living hell. And now that I needed to switch a vehicle onto my policy after another recent accident, my policy did go up. Which I did see coming but every time I turn around, they come up with some other reason that I need to pay more and more money and are waiting to the last minute or waiting for me to find out on my own after I was already told I would be paying a certain price. And now they are refusing to take the extra payments off and that I need to pay them even though in other recorded conversations, I was not told about extra payments.

I don't feel like they should be getting away with this but with my driving record, I have no choice but to pay it due to nobody else being willing to insure me for less than or the same as what I am paying with them. Anyone know of any way I can avoid paying these extra installments due to me being told I would be paying a different amount.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My car was damaged in a church parking lot while it was legally parked and stationary. The woman who damaged the car indicated to me on site her fault in the incident stating she "did not see the car". She also stated she would write me a check to pay for the damages and also gave me her insurance information. I immediately had the car repair estimated and contacted her with the cost. She said she would have to report it to her insurance company (Travelers). I was contacted by Ms. Catherine **, her agent, and asked for a recorded statement which I gave. I was then called the next day and told that the claim was her word against mine and that Travelers would not be paying the claim.

The rationale in the written document state that I had not yielded the right of way to their client. I responded stating that there was no right of way in question since my car was legally parked in a parking space and was not moving. Ms. ** also stated that her client stated she never damaged my car. An email denial was then received. I wonder how Travelers can respond in such a way since their client called them in the first place to report the incident! How many of us call our insurance companies to say that we have NOT had an accident that we want to report. It sounds fishy to me and I wonder who is more conniving, the woman who damaged my car, Ms. **, or Travelers Insurance Co.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I called to file my claim with Marion **. I told this adjuster how Highland Paving company in Fayetteville, NC gave me the runaround and how I felt he told me that he had to consult with the insurer and call me back and wasn't sure if my windshield would be covered anyways. My co-workers were listening on speakerphone. They said he is rude call back and request a more respectful person. I call back and request that but the lady connected me to Mr. Marion again. He raised his voice and disrespected me and hung up.

This is the most humiliating thing I ever experienced, Highland Paving company of Fayetteville, NC had paving flying from their trailer on truck crack my windshield now travelers insurance of Charlotte NC insurance adjuster Marion ** fussing and hanging up and both companies to me and from what I read are scam artists. I have witnesses that seen the paving crack my windshield, witnesses to hear the Highland Paving Harvey guy try to scam, and witnesses that heard how the traveler's insurance adjuster Marion ** talked to me twice.

Travelers Auto Insurance Company Information