Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
Travelers Auto Insurance
2.97/5

Travelers Auto Insurance

Travelers Insurance sells protection for your car, boat, property and more. Travelers is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier yet. You can call InsuraMatch for free auto insurance quotes from several different providers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Offers hybrid/electric vehicle discount and new car discount
  • Features Affinity Program to employees or members of participating organizations
  • Established financial strength
  • Accident forgiveness includes one accident and one minor violation
  • Decreasing deductibles

CONS

• Premiums can be slightly higher than competitors
  • Services limited to 42 states

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

310 Travelers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 6, 2019

Travelers will rip you off if you choose to pay in monthly installments. These people will add another 5.00 to your payments. They make promises they cannot keep. Also they increase well above market value and rip off their long time loyal customers.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I am not insured by Travelers, but have been trying to recoup out-of-pocket expenses from an accident caused by their insured driver. The “claim handler” I have been assigned to has purposely ignored me, repeatedly, and has refused to do anything with my claim. Worse, she seems to have a basic lack of knowledge about what subrogation entails. It’s astounding that she could remain employed and be so inept.

Here is what happened. A new driver insured by Travelers drove into my car. The liability was clearly on her side, and my no-fault collision insurance covered the (extensive) bodywork minus my deductible. My insurance company will subrogate Travelers for both the repairs and the deductible. So I will get my deductible, I am sure. However, I am not covered for the rental car I had to hire while my car was in the shop (for more than a week), and my insurance won’t help me recoup that cost from Travelers.

The “handler” at Travelers will not act on my claim — I established my own claim because the driver had not reported the accident to her insurer — because she says it all has to be “a submitted to subrogation in the same file” as the rest of the costs. In other words, she seems to think that my insurance is handling this, even though I told her multiple times that it is not. I tell her that the car rental is not part of the subrogation. I emphasize that it is a simple reimbursement to me, not to my insurance company, because my insurance does not cover car rental. She ignores me. Or maybe she does not comprehend because it’s too complicated for her. Either way, I may never see my money. Unethical, dishonest, inept.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I met an accident in October 2018 at Columbus, Ohio. It took them 3 months to reimburse my claim for a rental vehicle and damage for my car. Very unprofessional, manipulative agents work in their claim department who gave me a very hard time to pay the money back for an accident which was not even my fault. Won't recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I added a driver. It should have raised my premium by $200.00, but it raised them by over $500.00. When I questioned it the agent acted like I was stupid for not understanding why $200.00 + $200.00 does not equal over $700.00. There is not an ounce of honesty in this company. Don't even consider doing business with them! You will regret it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This company discriminates against deaf people and always denies claims when they know the person is unable to communicate with them because of a disability. At every turn they will try to get out of paying claims they know they should. They should be boycotted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelers?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

On Jan. 16, 2019, I was in a car accident, I was traveling southbound in the right lane. I was struck by a sand truck by a vehicle making a u-turn directed by a NYC flagger from the northbound lane which caused damage to my car (1,659.35). Travelers Ins. Offered me 10%. They need to pay this bill in full.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My Dad just turned 80 years old and for his birthday he got a bill for $3200 from Travelers. No accidents except for one drunk that hit him in the rear while stopped at a traffic light and no speeding tickets. He drives a 2015 Spark worth about 12k or so. His coverage is minimal with a $1000 deductible yet his insurance is 3200. This should be criminal.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I left Travelers back in November because they raised my premium again with no notification and found out only after the money had come out of my account. The day my new policy would have started I called to switch and they said as long as I did it that day I shouldn’t have a charge. I went ahead and switched to Geico and later was billed for a bogus $50 charge I was never communicated of when I asked about leaving them. It seemed so unfair and dirty to charge something like that for leaving them so after trying to fight the fee and getting turned down I didn’t pay it.

Now it’s a couple months later and they sent me to collections so I bit my tongue and paid. During the couple years I was with them I always received terrible customer care and they never sent communications out to me. Every time my insurance went up I never got a new quote and once I sent them my driving record to prove it was clean and they still raised my premium. If you like surprises and to be screwed over then this company is for you.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was in an auto accident with a Travelers insured and Travelers accepted full responsibility for the accident. I submitted the estimates to Travelers in the amount of 1832.01. At no time was I called or notified they changed the amount of the estimate. I was mailed a check for 600.00 less than the estimate. I had to call the claims agent to find out why. I was told the shop and claim agent talked and lowered the estimate. Now I can't even get my car repaired without spending 600.00 out of my pocket for an accident that Travelers took responsibility for.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They did not process my payments properly and refused to change it even though the agent called and explained. I have never in 65 years been treated so bad by a company. It was obviously all about them. I advise against anyone using Travelers Insurance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We were given an auto quote with all of our information filled out (including a listing of recent accidents). Called back a few more times to make adjustments to the quote, gave it a few weeks to think over, and then called again to pay for the plan. Then, was told that we're not eligible. After talking to multiple people on several occasions. They pulled the rug out from under us and didn't honor the quote they gave us. Talked to a manager and was told that "our quotes works for 19 out of 20 people". What? They should care about providing excellent service for everyone. Extremely disappointing, unprofessional service. Unlike any other auto insurance I have contacted. Cannot believe the level of deception, rudeness, and disrespect that we encountered. Left comments and messages on their Facebook page, and they ignored them... Don't understand they're still in business.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My experience with Travelers Insurance has been outstanding. I have made a couple of claims and Travelers has always come through with me. They have always been there when I needed assistance or even when I contact them about my policy.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Travelers has great customer service and is available for most of the evening hours to talk to customer service representatives. Most of the representatives are cheerful and helpful and will answer all of your questions. A minor problem is that they are not available to answer basic customer questions late at night. They are also a little pricey, but most insurance companies are. The area I live in doesn't have much choice in insurance companies and they are the best coverage for the price, even with this price tag.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I canceled my policy with my Travelers agent two weeks before the expiration date. I am told by Travelers that I am being billed because the agent did not cancel the policy and waited for it to expire for nonpayment. I did not agree to a renewing contract. The agent, Insurance Agencies of Ohio in Worthington, OH tells me my new insurance agent did not send them cancellation forms. This is nonsense. I canceled the policy well in advance. And Travelers, who sends the bills, tells me they can’t fix it. The agent has to.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My family used to love this insurance company, as it was a great price for the coverage we got. However we recently noticed that they had been raising our premium up by $20 for the past couple of years. When we contacted them about it, we were given the runaround for days before we finally were able to talk to someone who knew why this was happening - and the reasoning was because our area has a high amount of accidents. It does not matter that we have not had an accident ourselves or even so much as a ticket, and we get no benefit for being good drivers.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I am a Travelers customer. I have auto and homeowners insurance through them. I was in an accident May 24, 2018. It was not my fault. I got rear ended by a girl that just got her driver's license and was texting and driving. I contacted my insurance company the same day and told them what happened. Sent in the police report. They stated that they have not heard from the other driver's insurance and would contact me when they did. I was also informed that until they heard from the other insurance company if I wanted my car fixed I would have to pay the deductible myself. So I waited almost a month to get my car fixed when they were able to get a hold of the other insurance company. The other insurance company MetLife took responsibility and sent me a $500 deductible check. I was then told to let Travelers know where I was sending the car for repairs. I did so and it went from there.

Got my car fixed. Had a really bad experience with the rental company. And then I received my renewal policy two weeks ago. My insurance went up almost $500. I called Travelers and spoke to a lady that told me I had to pay for the increase because Travelers has not gotten their Money back from the other insurance company. She said that they had to make sure they got some of their money back one way or another. I told her that I pay for insurance for this specific reason. She then told me that I had to contact someone else for that matter. After calling and leaving messages for 7 different people I still have not received a call back from 4 of them and still don’t have a resolution. After all said and done I spoken seven people and no one could give me an answer.

Then on October 13th 2018 I received a check from Travelers for $500 stating that the deductible was paid in full. I called on Monday, October 15, 2018 and requested to hear back from my claims representative which was Ross, have not heard back from him since. I called and left a message for his manager and still have not Gotten a return phone call. I called her again this morning 10/17/ 2018 and called her from my cell phone she did not answer. Then I called her from my work phone and she answered right away. I asked her about the check. She states that they accidentally sent me $500 check by mistake and they have put a stop payment on it.

She then goes and tells me that she received a check from the other insurance company but are waiting for $300 and some odd dollars more. So then I asked her if they were going to take the increase off of my insurance and she said that I had to be contacted by somebody else. Have not heard back from them. This company is only worried about their money and not about their customers, they don’t return phone calls and they have poor customer service. I will be finding another insurance company as well as another homeowners insurance company. When you get in an accident your insurance company is supposed to be there for you not for themselves. Worst insurance company out there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We tried to cancel this auto policy to switch to a better company. So when we switched we thought it was a done deal. Well, apparently it wasn't for them. We have since received bills and now collection calls regarding the policy that we canceled. I am so fed up with these clowns. Now, I have to hear collection calls and receive a bad rating on my credit rating. Don't even think that Travelers Insurance is the policy to switch to. Believe me. Keep the one that you currently have. If I could give them a minus 5 rating that's what they deserve.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was shocked then humored by this letter I received from Travelers just a mere 2 weeks after purchasing auto and home insurance through them. My shingled roof is 10 years old in great condition. Had a guy 3 months ago blow off any small branches... Gutters have caps so no need to have them cleaned. He used his phone to video my roof to show me how it looked. Just received this letter from Travelers which identified the following condition: Roof has heavy moss growth and needs to be removed. And they want me to provide pictures and work receipts. I am livid and of course will not renew and hope I have no claims or dealings with this insurance company in the coming year.

HOW DO THEY KNOW I HAVE MOSS ON MY ROOF??? When were they on my property without my knowledge or approval???? They seem to look for a future issue to say it was preexisting and maybe refuse claims. I think this company needs a class action against it doing things like this. Not once in my life have I ever seen someone cleaning a shingle roof. This is insane. I have the most expensive furnace that has the heat go out the side of my basement, not even the chimney. BE wary of this company. Wish I had seen all the one star reviews before I switched.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

This company doesn't care about the customer. They are horrible to deal with, I regret signing up. They're mistake screwed me. They are charging me twice in one month because they decided to take payment much later... So I'm paying much more, and they didn't care.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They are thieves. I canceled my insurance before the due date because I got a lower quote from State Farm and Travelers charge me half price anyway, I was told by Travelers agent that I can cancel before the due date and I won’t have to pay anything, but later on another agent told me I have to pay half of the total cost. TRAVELERS INSURANCE COMPANY IS A LIAR AND BUNCH OF UNPROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES WORK THERE who don't know what they are talking about.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was scammed by the company "Travelers Insurance". They offered me a good rate for homeowner and auto insurance pack for the first 6 months. The auto insurance then went up in the next renewal by more than the double! After three calls trying to know what caused the huge increase to my premium, I got the most ridiculous answer, that for some unknown reason, their system did not detect the two accidents I had during the past 2 years!! Then, surprisingly enough, the system was fixed and reflected the accidents! I was very clear declaring these accidents while providing my information to the company, in addition to the report they ran.

I bought a second car based on the premium they gave me and modified the policy 2 times during the first 6 months without any significant increase. They denied to keep the same premium we are currently paying for the next renewal, especially that we (my wife and I) did not get any tickets or had any accidents for the last year and half. And my understanding is that the premium usually goes down as the accidents get old. Now, I have to shop for a new homeowner policy and auto insurance policy and lose the new auto purchase discount because of them!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I was paying monthly. After a 25% increase for no reason...I cancelled. I told them I'm paid to the 2nd, do not debit my account for another month. They proceed to tell me I owe them that exact same amount for back charges...nothing but a scam. I will file a complaint with the state attorney general for fraud and try to recoup my money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

What is the point of home insurance if they won't cover water damage in my home? My air conditioner malfunctioned, leaked everywhere, and caused major mold damage. The previous owners clearly let it go on for a while. It was so molded that a wooden beam HOLDING UP MY HOUSE was completely saturated and rotted. As a result, we had to tear out an entire bathroom and replace EVERYTHING. Travelers told us "we don't have a claim" because it wasn't a leak? Awesome, thank you for all of your help. Between this scam, and a home warranty, we have gotten 0 help from anyone.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I pay a lot for comprehensive auto insurance through Travelers. I was in the store when a thief broke into my vehicle. Busted both front and rear windows (front glass didn't shatter so he shattered the rear). Naturally I contacted Travelers to get the damage fixed. Long story short, when the adjuster arrived I asked if it was even worth filing since I have a $1000 deductible. I told him I had received quotes of $1000-$1200 to repair the window glass and so this might just be a waste of his time. Adjuster assured me, "let me see what I can do first". Adjuster comes back 40 min later and says he calculated $2200 in damages... he added every little plastic piece that GM is proud of to come to that total. Surprised but happy because at least it would cover the repair.

Fast forward a couple months later - I notice an increase in my rates of $400 (for 6 months). Call to find out that indeed my rates will increase $800/yr FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS! So, effectively they stand to profit $4000 over the next 5 years from my misfortune! WHY THE HELL DO I PAY FOR INSURANCE IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Needless to say, I will not be renewing with Travelers and will never use them again. It's sickening to me that over the years I've paid them close to $10,000 (with no incidents), and they have the gall to profit from my misfortune. PATHETIC!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was in an accident when a woman backed into me and hit me and the lady was insured by Travelers Insurance and it has been nothing but hell ever since. I was pregnant and ended up miscarrying. I had my beta labs done two days prior to the accident and spoke with my doctor’s nurse told me that I am doing perfect. I had absolutely no issues with my pregnancy and I have been fighting with this insurance to get compensated for my loss and my stress and they are absolutely awful to deal with. Do not ever be insured by this company. I cannot even imagine having them as my insurance. They do not care at all about the person. All they care about is getting you out of their hair.

The rep that my husband talked to is from Overland Park Kansas. He even laughed at my husband. Long story short my husband had put in a complaint with Consumer Affairs and all they did was put the complaint back to the rep's boss and it did absolutely nothing!!!! So thank you travelers and everyone involved with this for making this experience even more worse than it already was. I hope you’re proud of yourselves as long as you make your money who cares. Right? If I can give this place -10 stars I would. They don’t even deserve one star. It sucks because this review will do absolutely nothing to change anything.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

A lady backed into my car and damaged it. Her car had virtually no damage. I specifically went through her insurance since the fault was solely hers, I refused to have my insurance cost raised due to the fault of another. Travelers was a nightmare - horrible agents who refused to pay the full amount despite it clearly being the fault of their customer, refused to send a person out to look at the damages, prolonged the situation. After only agreeing to pay half, I appealed the claim again, and got denied again.

The cost wasn't much, however it was a blatant insult to only pay half when it was crystal clear the other party was at fault. If I had gone through my insurance State Farm, they would have taken care of everything with no hassle, but at the cost of raising the cost of my insurance policy. I'm so frustrated by this horrible experience, NEVER purchase Travelers. While I understand insurance companies are designed to NOT pay, the cost of NOT covering even minor claims for their customers displays scamming at its finest.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was a passenger in a car accident - driver (with Travelers insurance) was at fault. I was injured. The claims rep led to believe that Travelers would be taking care of paying back what my personal medical insurance paid. I was paid a settlement for my personal healthcare bills and some extra for time off work/compensation. Basically I found out 4 months later that Travelers lied to me. They never took care of the insurance subrogation and now I have to pay $1000 to my insurance (which is a lot on my salary; I already spent the rest of the settlement on my car repairs {my car wasn’t involved in the accident}).

My insurance agent made them send us a copy of the documentation showing that subrogation was included in the settlement. I was never sent this documentation and the rep never told me I needed to take care of my insurance. He made me think that they were taking care of that. He no longer works there so I couldn’t speak to him, but his manager wasn’t bothered at all that I’d been lied to. Didn’t even care. If you have a claim with them, demand to see everything in writing before you take any money! They will lie to you!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I am insured with Travelers for the past 4 years and I am very happy with their claims process. We had two incidents, of them one in 2016 where I hit an animal necessitating repairs to the front of the vehicle. The claims process was seamless, the adjustor from Travelers was reasonable and wanted to make sure that the hit was indeed an animal hit and not any "concrete or steel animal". I liked his overall humor, he let us choose our collision center and we chose to be paid for OEM parts only, and he acceded. We took the car to the Mercedes-Benz Collision Center and all costs were completely covered between the collision center and Travelers. No questions were asked and our insurance rates didn't increase.

Recently, we bought another used car (4 year old Sedan), and called Travelers for insurance. We were dismayed to find that our insurance rate for that car would be $100 every month which is almost double of the other cars we have insured through them. So we are not happy and started looking for alternatives, and found several options for $50-60 cheaper per month. I have liked Travelers, so I am debating whether I will leave them, but it seems that this time, I will have to leave as their quote is too high (higher than almost all other quotes I received) except for Metlife.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My parents had Travelers Auto Insurance so I got them too. The process was super simple. I sent an email, asked for a quote, they sent me a quote and I completed everything online so it didn't cost me time having to take off work. I like that my rates last year seemed pretty low or decent which was nice with me being young and recently off my parents' policy. However, it really bothers me that my insurance policy went up $13 this year and I have had no accidents and no claims in my vehicle is now a year older. I figure my rates go up because now I'm paying for all of the people who put in claims from Houston and Florida and California because of all the natural disasters and all of their claims I'm suffering now which is just not fair.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Purchasing from Travelers Auto Insurance was very easy. I called in to get a free quote and had insurance within 10 minutes. They have top notch customer service. Any time I have called in with a question or an issue, they helped with no problem. I also have a son, and they helped with getting him insurance. The only dislike is that I called one day to check on roadside assistance and they do not offer that. Other than that, if I needed anything, they would be more than willing to help.

Travelers Auto Insurance Company Information