1.10/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

129 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

After a hurricane hitting Florida we booked tickets with insurance and when canceling flight due to airport being closed AIG would not cover anything. Total waste of money. Disgusting service. I would never recommend anyone using them. Save your money.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Twice I have purchased insurance from AIG, and twice I have been denied. The first time when I missed a trip to stay home with my dying father. The second time after being hospitalized for severe depression. These guys are disgusting, and will NOT hold up their end of the bargain. I am repulsed by their business practices.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I purchased a ticket with United Airlines and travel insurance with Travel Guard for a business event on 9/27/2018 for 5 days. I work in a small law firm so scheduling flexibility is a priority. I was scheduled to fly out on a Wednesday but on Monday we received notice from the court system that scheduling had changed and cancelling my trip was the only option in order to accommodate our client and the court's deadlines. I filed a claim with Travel Guard and was told that even though I had submitted the proper documentation, my reason for cancelling was not valid and not covered. The rep from Travel Guard was rude telling me she would be forwarding me the denial letter. Such a waste of time and money both filling out the paperwork, follow up and waiting 6 weeks for a denial. Stay away from Travel Guard. It is definitely a ripoff.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

AIG is a fraud. I will never buy trip insurance again. Claims are not paid for any reasonable situation and the details of when they pay is not clear. My husband has cancer, but I did not use that avenue because the process of getting my claim is so onerous. I used my work commitments that prevented me from traveling, both are true. For medical coverage they want me to get signature from all the docs and document for last 180 days. I feel that the trip insurance is a fraud.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I hate to be that person but I wish I could give this less than one star! This company is a SCAM and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. It's a complete waste of time, money and your sanity. The only way they refund you for anything is pretty much if you show documented proof that you or someone you're immediately related to you dies around your trip dates. Otherwise all they do is have customer service talk you around in circles essentially explaining to you in different ways how you're screwed. It's a waste of money and more trouble than it's worth. If you want your trip truly covered, do some research first and go with a legitimate company. This Travel Guard company is complete joke and now I'm out over $600 with no way to get new plane tickets to my sister's wedding.

The reason we needed to change flights was simply because we moved states and needed to fly out of a different airport. Easy enough, right? We were told that any travel changes or cancellations would be covered, no problem. So I called and they said that would be no problem, all I had to do was call the airline and make sure everything went through to them. The airline then told me that any changes have to be made through Travel Guard. So I called Travel Guard back and they told me that now they suddenly wouldn't be able to switch the flights because our reasons for switching weren't covered in the policy requirements -- we would have to cancel our flights through the airline and then submit a claim to see if we even could get a refund.

I looked over our policy and saw that "trip cancelation" was covered so I requested that our flights just be canceled altogether so we could book new flights out of a new airport. They then told me that that wouldn't be covered either because our reasons for wanting to cancel weren't covered under the policy requirements either. I asked if there was anything I could possibly do and they straight up told me, "No, I'm sorry." So thanks for nothing, Travel Guard!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My wife was diagnosed with cancer, so I purchased Travel Guard Insurance 1 month prior our cruise departure in the case we will not be able to go - due to her starting cancer therapy etc. Sure enough the therapy started on our departure date Oct. 5 I purchased tickets 3 months prior departure. Well I supply all the info dr. diagnoses. Then Travel Guard told me they will not refund my money for the trip because of preexisting condition. Their 20 page agreement stipulate that simply put it "preexisting sickness is not meet conditions to get your money back". If I bought Insurance before I purchased the tickets they would reimburse my money. How stupid and primitive is that. Disappointed with crocks. AS a info cruise was $2800 and Insurance was $250 anyway.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We recently traveled to Mexico and because of the rain, flooding, mud collapse, we had to traveled come back early. Airlines charged us for return tickets due to change on itinerary. We filed a claim with AIG only to learn that trip interruption only applies to airline flights being canceled or delay, nothing to do with our trip, hence insurance policy sold as Travel Guard! This is a cheap scam that is being perpetrated by most travel websites along with airlines companies. Their idea of bait and switch as long as nobody complains. I will be writing to the insurance commissioner as I don't feel it's fair to us consumers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was called into state active duty in Florida for Hurricane Michael relief and support. I was activated four days prior to my original flight and I was told I had to be ill/injured/police involved of some sort and my claim was denied. Currently in Florida helping families that lost everything and this company doesn't support the military service members.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had to cancel 2 consecutive trips, one insured by AIG/Travel Guard, the other with Allianz. After filling out all of the required paperwork from their website for AIG and faxing to the company, they send me a letter telling me to fill everything out again. One of the things they want is another detailed account of my condition from the doctor. I'm sure he will be happy about that. Don't use this company. Allianz is much easier to deal with, I settled with them a month ago, but am still messing around with AIG/Travel Guard.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I purchased two tickets for a round trip flight from Myrtle Beach to St Louis for a wedding on Sep 27-Oct 2 through Travelocity, and purchased trip insurance through their selected provider, AIG Insurance. Hurricane Florence hit North and South Carolina in early September, and while we fortunately had no initial damage, we live near the Intracoastal Waterway and about 10 days after the hurricane, flooding from rivers in North Carolina had reached record levels and thousands of homes in our area were flooded. On 9/26 the water had risen to reach the foundation of our house, was still rising, and we were subject to a mandatory evacuation order in our neighborhood for flooding danger.

We obviously cancelled our trip, and I filed a claim with AIG for what I assumed would be covered. I will be the first to admit that I never read the policy terms when purchasing the insurance, but would have assumed the policy covered cancellation when events outside of your control occur. In fact, I learned that the policy I purchased states that a valid reason for payout is if the insured's primary residence was made uninhabitable or INACCESSIBLE due to natural disaster. When I contacted the agent, they told me that since my house had not sustained damage (the water, thankfully, did not breach the foundation), it was not uninhabitable.

When I stated that we were under mandatory evacuation and therefore the house was INACCESSIBLE, they told me that mandatory evacuation was not covered by the policy. When I asked them to define, then, what INACCESSIBLE meant, they just continued to say mandatory evacuation was not covered. To me, this is unconscionable and an act of very bad faith. They never questioned the documentation I sent them showing the evacuation zones or the state of the house which was surrounded by flood waters, but continued to say that mandatory evacuation was not covered and was not what was meant by inaccessible. Although the total amount covered was only $541.20, it is extremely frustrating that I was denied coverage. I would also recommend to your readers that although the purchase price of travel insurance is relative low, to take a few minutes to read the policies and how restrictive they are relative to payout.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My husband and I purchased tickets from Tampa to Pensacola, FL during Hurricane Michael. Although the policy states coverage for weather events such as hurricanes, the fine print detail is for my PRIMARY RESIDENCE not my travel destination. Huh? So I purchased travel insurance that does not cover my travel. As other people have posted, do not purchase this insurance and do not book through Expedia who has a relationship with this company. Avoid the frustration that I experienced of filing all the paperwork and the runaround on the phone. Wasting my time and money is an absolute one and done for me. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

You are not insured when you buy AIG. My experience is through Vietnam AIG (Ho Chi Minh). They are not a trustable company. I bought my roundtrip tickets from HCM to Boston through tripsta.com, I also bought AIG insurance way before flying out. I had to reschedule my return flight due to my doctor says I cannot travel until another month (back pain). It turns out tripsta.com is out of business so I contacted airlines directly, they say they don't charge changing fee, they also can cancel the return trip but only Tripsta company can change return flight date.

I called AIG next, they say they don't cover my case due to there is no policy about a company is out of business, so they won't pay for the new ticket for the return flight. AIG also said the ticket claim is invalid because of my existing health condition, which is completely not making sense, I don't ask AIG to cover my doctor visits, I ask them to cover the return ticket because Tripsta is out of business and I can't use my money for the return flight. The purpose of buying traveling insurance is to be insured when odd things happen. I am not insured and I do not recommend anyone to buy travel insurance through this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased travel insurance for my flight that I was planning on taking in November. Still nearly a month away yet the travel was in order to visit a friend of mine that is no longer going to be living there. I tried to first explain this to the booking agency that I bought both the flight and insurance through, but I also sat on hold being passed around to people from Travel Guard for nearly 2 hours. I have been informed that simply because the place I was going in pretty much no longer there is absolutely no reason to refund my INSURED purchase.

This company is about as useful as purchasing a 2-year service plan on a $10 toaster. It's a waste of money plain and simple. Some of the worst people I have ever had to try to work with that repeat a statement instead of actually answering questions. They really should change every answer to something along the lines of "We do not care what is happening, we are not refunding anything for you. Tough luck sucker." At least that would be more honest than the load of crap they sell.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I purchased travel insurance for a flight from Charleston SC to TX which would happen at the end of my month long vacation in Myrtle Beach. When the hurricane came, I was advised by the rental office that the rental unit in Myrtle Beach was reported as damaged and I was unable to acquire other suitable lodgings so the planned trip to Myrtle Beach was cancelled and the rental company is returning the money paid in advance. AIG denied the claim for reimbursement of my flight. The policy they sell is a practically useless. Don't purchase from them as it covers very little and terms are not very clear. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I filed a medical claim as my fiance with cancer had an awful reaction to a new treatment. We've been traveling a couple of times a year since her diagnosis 3 years ago. In this case it had nothing to do with her cancer but simply the inability to travel because of unexpected complications related to treatment. GET THIS: I haven't even heard back yet and with every fiber of my being I know I will be denied. This is simply based on the ridiculous service and extremely tricky claims process.

Trust me, I've all my ducks in a row. Talking to them, they just ooze with "screw you". My only recourse will be to contact my senator and AG. I'm so sure this doesn't end well that if they reimburse my 800 bucks I'll donate 100 to Dana Farber. Don't use them! Norwegian Cruises has already switched insurers because of the scams they run. These are the same ** who held extravagant parties after us, the taxpayers bailed them out in 09.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I purchase travel insurance through Travelocity for an AIG travel insurance plan. Unfortunately hurricane Florence destroyed my travel itinerary. Flights were cancelled and I was mandatorily evacuated from the area in which I was at. I ended up having to go to Florida to get a flight back to where I came from. When I filed a claim with AIG, I found out the plan was garbage. It was not at all the policy that I had been given that I was sold. AIG refused to cover what the policy clearly stated was covered. It was not my fault that the natural disaster occurred. It was definitely an extenuating circumstance. I Got No Satisfaction whatsoever from AIG or from anyone else. I will never purchase AIG insurance through anybody again.

At the very minimum it has been extremely misleading to the point of possibly fraudulent. I feel a great travesty and fraud has been committed to me and no one is responsible for it. I would not ever recommend AIG Insurance to anyone for anything ever again. It is unfortunate that I learned about this after this tragedy happened. I have since learned that I am not the only person that this is happened to that used AIG travel insurance. I have proof of the dates through the travel tickets and proof of purchase of the insurance through Travelocity which makes my claim and complaint extremely credible.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Hurricane Florence directly hit my destination, killing over 40 people and leaving Wilmington NC an island. The airport would be open to fly into a few days after the storm but the surrounding area was in a state of emergency. Most of the city had little to no power, roads downtown were flooded and impassible. Since I am not a permanent resident of Wilmington they did not cover my cancellation. Unless you get a life threatening disease or someone you love dies moments before your flight this service is a scam. Expedia was 0 help as well. My advice would be to avoid Expedia and Never purchase Travel Guard. Expedia is useless in getting even a travel voucher from the airlines...(I do not think they even tried and just said the airlines said no) so when you cancel to file a claim there is no going back to the airlines and AIG just confirms your money is gone. It is a blatant scam. I will never use this or Expedia again. Book through the airlines.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I bought TG insurance for a trip 3 months in advance. My doctor told me I would be fine to travel by the date in question. As it happened, I took a turn for the worse and was unable to go. The person who handled my claim was rude, cold and stated that since I had “pre-existing” condition, I could not be reimbursed for the tickets. I guess the insurance would be great if you are 25 and in perfect health. But if you are older like me and have diabetes, arthritis or cardiac issues, etc- don’t waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

As the title suggests... stay away from this. A COMPLETE LIE! The policy does not specify any exceptions... and, there are many. You will be dealing with moronic service agents for hours on end. A complete waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Do not waste your money on this falsehood of travel protection coverage. I purchased for a trip to see my terminally ill mother and was purchased the coverage "just in case" I needed to change plans depending on my mother's health. Well I had to call and try to delay my return trip because my mother was dying and I was not going to leave her. I was told that I could not change my flight plan and would have to cancel return trip and then call back when rebooking and use the claim number they give me. Well all lies because then I was told when I booked return trip that I would need to send death certificate and copy of obituary.

Well been there and have sent these required item twice now and they declined my claim stating date of death was outside of my coverage. Still I cannot put a price on the precious last days that I was able to spend with my mother and will cherish them always. I will never purchase Travel Guard again and hope and pray that no one loses any of their hard earned money on a fraudulent, false sense of security, unethical company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE AIG Travel Guard Insurance. This company is a fraud. I purchased travel insurance for my trip next month (October 2018) back in April when I booked my tickets. I had to cancel due to a work commitment that was mandatory. Before purchasing the ticket and the insurance I verified with AIG that my trip would be 100% covered. Today it's a completely different story. Submitted everything that was asked for including the letter of verification from my employer for the claim along with all the receipts. I received an email from them saying that was not a good excuse for canceling my trip. If I was sick, dead or someone in my family was dead then I would have qualified!!! I would NEVER use this company again. They are quick to take your money but won't pay your claim. STAY AWAY from AIG/Travel Guard.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I hope this stops a few people from purchasing AIG Travel Guard Insurance so they can spend that money on something useful. This company is a fraud as far as I'm concerned as I purchased travel insurance for my trip this month (September 2018) and had to cancel due to business. I am self employed and my very largest client needed my services the same time as I had booked my trip. AND because I enjoy having a place to live (rather than living under a bridge) I accommodated my client by telling them I would be there for them.

I submitted a claim to recover the $264 I paid for the ticket and received an email from them saying that was not a good excuse for canceling my trip. If I was sick, dead or someone in my family was dead then I guess it would have qualified!!! I would NEVER use this company again. They are quick to take your money but won't pay your claim.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My wife and I had planned to travel to Houston, TX in September 2018. We had purchased a flight cancellation plan from Travel Guard (AIG) for a United Airlines flight that we had booked through Travelocity.com. While we were on our trip, our 4 year-old son was going to be being watched by his grandmother in North Carolina. Unfortunately, 3 days prior to leaving for our trip, our home was projected to be in the path of Hurricane Florence, which on the day of cancellation was a Category 4-5 hurricane.

We determined that it was not safe to leave our son in North Carolina with his grandparents while we traveled to Texas. If something were to happen, we would have no way to reach him in a timely manner. We were able to get full refunds for both of the hotels that we had booked for our trip, even though one of them had said that our hotel room was non-refundable. They were very understanding of the situation, that we would be separated from our son during a hurricane. The process of cancelling the flight was poorly handled by the representative from Travelocity, who told me to first call Travel Guard and see what they said. After talking to a representative from Travel Guard, I was told that I had a good reason for cancelling our flight, but that she was not a claims adjuster and could not make any assessment as to whether or not we would be reimbursed.

We then spoke to Travelocity again, where the agent said she had spoken with representatives from United Airlines, and that because the flight was not yet cancelled, there was nothing that could be done on the end of United Airlines. I informed the Travelocity representative that the Travel Guard rep said there was no way to guarantee that a cancellation claim would be paid until the flight was cancelled and an actual claim was filed with Travel Guard. We had no choice but to cancel the flight and file a claim with Travel Guard. It was disappointing how little the Travelocity rep understood about Travel Guard, given the travel insurance was purchased on the Travelocity website.

Understanding that we cancelled because there would be no way to reach our son from Houston, Texas if anything happened to him as a result of Hurricane Florence in North Carolina, the Travel Guard claims adjuster replied with the following: "We value you as a customer and appreciate your business; however, we must inform you that there is no coverage under the policy for the claim presented. According to the information provided, you filed a claim because your trip was cancelled or interrupted due to the hurricane. Unfortunately, this reason does not fall within one of the named, covered perils on the policy."

We then contacted Travelocity, who ultimately said there was nothing that they could do. Ultimately, we lost over $800 between the cost of the travel insurance and the costs of the flights, which could not be recouped. Our family obviously won't do business with Travelocity, Expedia, or AIG/Travel Guard again. We wish that we had seen this website and read the reviews before purchasing travel insurance from AIG/Travel Guard.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We bought the travel insurance from Vayama when I bought my plane tickets. From what it looks like, it promised 100 percent refund if we canceled the trip before 48 hours beforehand. It didn’t did not specify only some conditions or reasons, could we get 100 percent back in the heading. We could not guarantee we could take the days off, so we paid 150 dollars just in case we needed to cancel. From their customer service, it sounds like they are affiliate with Vayama, meaning they only provide insurance for them. I called in to the customer service line and after 48 minutes of waiting, I was able to speak to a customer representative. I also called the Vayama representatives that if I were to cancel, the cancellation fee should be paid by the insurance company. (The cancellation fee was 780 dollars to cancel all three tickets). I spoke to the representative from the Travel Guard about the cancellation fee and he said they could be filed under the claim.

He also said since being unable to take off work doesn’t constitute as a valid reason for 100% refund, I would only get max of 75%. After a few days, I also emailed them to confirm they would pay for cancellation fee before I went ahead in canceling the tickets, however the respond I got back was different than what the representative told me. The email said they don’t cover the cancellation fee only the trip cost. Since the cancellation fee is incredibly high and we would only get 75% of the trip cost, we would be losing 1200. Considering we only paid 1500 for the 3 tickets in total, this is a complete waste. I would never purchase insurance for this company ever again and I regret not searching up this scam of a company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company finds any excuse to not pay out. I have submitted documents for legitimate circumstances, and I get a response back days later describing how they can't or won't pay. They keep your hopes up by telling you that, "If you have this other item, we can pay you." When you send that in, they pull out another excuse. This company is a fraud and should pay for their crimes.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Do not purchase hotel insurance through Expedia. As so many others have stated, they do not pay even if you have a legitimate reason. I purchased a hotel room in Tampa so I could be by my mother's side during a serious surgery. A week before the surgery, the doctors said my mother was too sick to operate on. It two adjusters MONTHS to sort the claim. In the end, they didn't pay a penny. Total scam! Do not pay for the hotel insurance!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased travel insurance from AIG through the airline I bought a ticket from. I needed to cancel the trip a month in advance because work obligations disallowed me to leave. I attempted to file a claim and was denied. I expected this. What I did not expect was after some rigorous research, I found that the majority of people who purchased travel insurance from this company were denied claims though they had much more legitimate reasons to cancel their respective travel plans than I. Natural disasters, family emergencies, illness, etc. The list goes on yet claims weren’t paid to these poor people.

Further investigation yielded some information regarding those people who left positive reviews about this company. The vast majority of those reviewers never filed claims with this company. They stated that purchasing AIG insurance prior to their trips made them “feel safe” but no legitimate claims were ever rendered. This leads me to believe that AIG doesn’t pay claims. And collects money from the uninformed banking on never making a payout. It’s almost impressive how horrible this company is. Stay far away. Shame on AIG.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Actually about the only thing that AIG is good for is to waste money. I had wanted to take my mom to Montreal and had made the mistake of spending money on insurance. BIG MISTAKE and a complete waste of time. They have you jump through so many hoops and keep demanding that I resubmit documents which I have already submitted twice. These people are a complete SCAM. Your money would be better placed in a Ponzi scheme.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I recently purchased reservations for 3 rooms at Sonesta Hotel in Cusco, Peru. My family and I were unable to use these rooms due to an 18-hour train delay from Aguas Calientes. Smartly (I thought at the time) I had purchased travel insurance through the AIG travel guard that Expedia offered with this reservation. So I filed a claim when we returned to the U.S. It was denied because our lives were not in peril, we were not kidnapped, we were not incarcerated, none of us were in the hospital. The Terms and Conditions that they list lead one to believe that one can get a refund from an unforeseen need to cancel the hotel reservations. Shame on Expedia for offering a scam to people. And Beware to other Travelers!! Do not sign up or pay for travel insurance offered by Expedia.com and certainly do not ever use AIG Travel Guard!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My plane ticket cost $1,034.60 and $75 for insurance. I canceled because the person I was going to see got pneumonia. I cancelled my flight and they said, "Too bad! You're not getting your money back." Then they informed me that I needed a signed doctor's paper for the person I was going to see.

Travel Guard expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky