1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 30 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 30, 2017

33 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My husband and I had to cut our 3 night stay short by 1 day on our vacation, because our son was sick at home. We had reason to believe it was viral, so we did not take him to the doctor. Because of that, our claim was denied. It is called "cancel for any reason" policy, but that is a lie. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! The whole point of getting insurance is to have protection for your trip. I ended up having to cancel for work reasons. This is the first time ever having to cancel a trip for any reason. I followed the prompts to correctly submit my claim. It asked for a notarized letter from my employer and documents to support my claim. It's been two weeks and I've heard nothing so I called today. They said they mailed me a letter and called me. Both of which never happened. Today they say I'm unable to get compensation for my claim because using it for work is not covered. How misleading!!! I feel like I've been scammed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My husband and I were invited to go on a trip with friends back in July of 2017 with an actual trip date in November 2017. After reviewing all flights I found the best from my location was with Spirit as one of their daily flights is to Puerto Rico from Myrtle Beach SC. This was a pretty expensive trip planned and paid for months in advance so I made sure to purchase Spirit's travel insurance which is through AIG Travel Guard Insurance. It cost $65.00 and would give me peace of mind, so I thought. Well this was before Hurricane Irma and then Maria came through and hit the islands hard. Puerto Rico made it through the first one but Maria made it a point not to leave anything standing. Pretty much no island left and definitely no resort left.

I put in a claim with the travel insurance and submitted it. It took a couple of weeks for them to call and I received a call from the claims agent who told me that I did not have insurance for a named peril so they would not be reimbursing me. I told her I was very dissatisfied with that decision and wanted a supervisor to contact me. About a week later a supervisor did contact me and when she realized how dissatisfied I was she simply re-spouted the reasons that I had already been told were satisfactory for a claim to be paid and mine wasn't a valid one. So here is a lesson that all of you should learn, if you want to purchase travel insurance to give you peace of mind, think twice. The insurance is only good if you don't have to use it. What better reason could there be than for your destination to have been devastated and your resort closed indefinitely to put a claim in. Nope they don't cover it!!! So don't buy it!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Travel Guard a total joke. Recently my wife I bought a vacation package to Cabo and purchased Travel Guard travel Insurance. The morning we were to leave we learned a hurricane was approaching and travel advisories/warnings had been issued for the Cabo area. So we decided it was better to cancel our trip instead of traveling into a hurricane. Made a claim with Travel Guard only to be informed that our claim was denied because no flights were cancelled and we were not evacuated. So I guess it’s better to fly into a hurricane and possibly lose your life just so you can meet Travel Guards definition for inclement weather. Don’t buy Travel Guard, they will find any excuse to deny your claim.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Was supposed to go on our honeymoon to Puerto Rico on September 28 - October 3rd. Bought insurance because we knew it was hurricane season. Shortly after hurricane Maria, we canceled our trip for obvious reason. Submitted the claim and sent in all the paperwork. Got denied because the flight we had booked still went out and the hotel never closed. Our hotel was used for workers, and even though it didn't close, it didn't have power. Airport may have been open, but there was no way to get to our hotel from the airport. Most of the island is STILL out of power and roads are completely flooded. It's not even safe for tourism right now. This company is just a bunch of thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

When booking on Frontier Airlines website, it offered trip insurance for $10.95. It did not lay out the basics of coverage, but typically these policies would cover cancellation for a variety of good reasons. The reservation came to my email and in it, it included a reference to Travel Guard Insurance and listed a policy number. After being injured and unable to travel, I cancelled then found the Travel Guard company on the internet. When attempting to file a claim online, the website said the policy number was not valid, and so I had to call in. I get told that isn't my actual policy number. It took almost 60 minutes of talking to people in a foreign and domestic call center to get my 'actual' policy number.

I believe this is designed to discourage claims because nobody is that incompetent. Finally I was given a claim number. Filing the claim online was equally tedious and now 2 hours of my day is shot, and from reading the other reviews I don't even expect to be paid. Once that does not occur, then I'll begin to involve others, but for now I needed to post this warning to consumers.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I wish I had seen this site prior to purchasing insurance from Travel Guard. I'm not an attorney, but I'm no dummy either. When I read the initial offer to purchase travel insurance, I was under the impression that we'd be covered if we couldn't make the race due to employment obligations. This is exactly what happened, however, AIG denied our claim. I would never recommend "Travel Guard." Not only are we out the cost of two tickets, but the cost of the insurance as well. We live too far away to try to sell them at the track and besides, NASCAR isn't selling out these days anyway so the demand isn't there. I guess we'll just have eat them and continue warning others of this bogus company.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Why buy travel insurance? Well, one reason is security in case you get laid off, right? That sounds reasonable. That is what I did... I was going to a wedding and the flight was $3000 for four of us. We bought insurance "just in case." Two weeks later I was laid off. Travel Guard wanted a letter confirming this, which I sent. They then denied the claim saying that I was laid off within 2 weeks of buying the ticket. Huh? Literally we are talking about 1 minute of difference here due to the timing of the event. But TG won't budge. But my question is this... Why would they even *have* a 2 week wait time? I had zero notice that the company was going to have a layoff. None, zip, nada.

Travel insurance should be just that... A backup to the unknown. But AIG (who administers TravelGuard) stacks the deck so that they don't have to pay. It seems like they are just as rotten as they were during the meltdown! What is even more interesting is that while they are denying my (I believe) totally well-founded claim, they are not even offering a refund for their totally bogus (my opinion) policy. The 'event', unable to travel, already occurred so essentially there is no way I could ever (legitimately, in their eyes) file a claim. If that is the case, then there is no policy and, at the very least, the policy should be refunded. But that isn't an option AIG has even given information about. I like Virgin America but I am very upset that they would partner with someone that sells a product that essentially has little or no value. Virgin needs to rethink its partnering strategy.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Paid for an airline ticket. The airline cancelled the flight and only refunded me partial payment. You would think an airline that cancelled would give you a full refund. Nope... out 80.00 plus. Had to book with another airline cost me an extra 50.00. AIG would not honour the flight cancellation and difference in price and partial refund. They are a joke!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I was taken to the emergency room six days before the start of our trip with a kidney stone on the move. Bottom line, I had to cancel our trip on the day of departure. The online claim handling went well. I was able to upload our receipts and travel providers' cancellation policies. I had everything but the doctor's form. Travel Guard got back to me the next business day via email and telephone stating the claim has been assigned, along with the direct contact info to reach the assigned claims representative. The rep was easily reached, returned my calls, and stated she needed to wait for the doctor's report before the claim could be adjudicated. (This was understandable.)

I uploaded the doctor's form on June 12th. On June 13th, I was informed that my claim has been closed and it was referred to their audit department for final approval due to the high dollar amount. On June 14th, I was advised that claim was approved and would be paid in full. On June 17th, the check was received at my residence. Travel Guard's online portal system worked well for me and overall, Travel Guard did what they said they would do according to the terms of the policy. All our non-refundable payments were reimbursed to the penny. Our claims adjuster was pleasant, professional and competent. No complaints from me.

I write this review as my experience was (thankfully) 180 degrees from what Consumer Affairs reviews led me to expect. I only saw these Consumer Affairs reviews well after I purchased my policy. I was quite anxious, expecting the worst when it became apparent I would have to cancel our trip. Based on our experience, I would recommend them and we plan on using them again to insure future trips.

Original review: June 7, 2017

This company is a racket. They have every excuse to not insure your claim. I will tell more with details when I get off work. Just got the call today from the scam artists today making excuses why not covered!!!

Original review: April 6, 2017

My wife and I booked a trip to the Cayman Islands back in Jan 2017. Our trip was to being on 4/27 for a week. Worried about our aging parents we decided to purchase the AIG travel guard insurance. Today 4/6 I find out my mother is going to require surgery on 4/21 and will require attention for the first week after the surgery. I contacted AIG to inquire about the procedures for cancelling our trip. I was told it would be covered but they could not guarantee anything until I submit the proper forms, Dr's notes. etc. and that an analyst would review the case which could take 4 to 6 weeks. HUH??? Without knowing whether our request will be approved or not before our scheduled departure date, I am put in a position of either cancelling our trip and 'hope' that AIG will refund our money, or, go on the trip so not to lose all of our money. I will NEVER and would warn everyone NOT to purchase travel insurance from AIG.

Original review: March 20, 2017

We were on the ground in DFW for 6 hours due to mechanical problems and missed a connection in SFO. I purchased Travel Guard insurance in good faith to find out that trip delay for mechanical problems ARE NOT COVERED. Buyer beware... We had to pay extra to re-book our ticket out of SFO. What is travel insurance for anyway if not to cover issues like the one we experienced.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

We purchased this insurance for our Oct 2016 trip to the Bahamas. During the days leading up to our departure Hurricane Matthew formed and became a category 5 Hurricane heading directly towards the Bahamas. The night before we were supposed to leave (we had a 6 a.m. flight) we sat in our hotel room watching the news and weather channel. EVERY forecast predicted a direct hit for the island. We called the hotel whom stated they were making evacuation plans, we called the airlines whom said flights were cancelled, delayed, rerouted on Sunday - we were leaving Saturday.

We spent 45 minutes on the phone with an AIG TRAVEL GUARD rep who stated that if we did not feel safe going then we should put in a claim for coverage but there was no guarantee. We took the safe choice and decided to not go and put in a claim. We did not see the logic in knowingly going to a place where we knew there would be a category 5 hurricane. Sure enough, on Wednesday the week we were to be there, the island was hit, people were evacuated and flights were cancelled and backed up for days. We counted our blessings we did not go. AIG has refused to refund us anything because we did not go and get evacuated.

They said our flight was Saturday so we could have made it to the island. They said, if we went and then got evacuated they would cover. So they said we had to go knowing the storm was headed to the island and wait for something to actually happen. We disputed the denial and the second denial came and this time they said they were not paying because by not going on our trip, our insurance was cancelled the day we were supposed to leave. That is news to us! It was AIG who told us not to go if we felt unsafe and to put in a claim - and now AIG is saying our insurance was cancelled? Our policy says our insurance is good for 30 days from the end of the trip to make claims. Nobody told us our insurance was cancelled - not when I called for information and not when I made the first claim. Don't use AIG. They write policies with all these loopholes to get out of paying their customers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Our family planned a family vacation to Jamaica in 2016 and we bought the insurance for all members of our family (10 people at about $70/person) as we have done for every trip. After we bought the insurance, our daughter-in-law became pregnant. She talked to her OB-GYN and was told in no uncertain terms that she should not go on the trip due to the Zika virus. Her OB-GYN and her family doctor sent letters to Travel Guard explaining her previous high risk pregnancy and the risk to this pregnancy, as well as a letter from my son. The claim was denied because "there was no risk to the baby's life or the mother's". Even our travel agent told us there should be no problem getting a refund. This insurance is totally worthless and should not be purchased by any travellers. We travel with our family every other year and always bought the insurance, but will never buy it again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I book flight. I purchase the travel insurance from Travel Guard, member of AIG, and should refund the cancellation trip for any emergency and that what happened I cancel my trip because family emergency, and call and talk with MR. Michele **. He was extremely rude and and willing to help my out and he said that there's no refund for the money I paid for the insurance, and there no refund for the ticket. I really don't advise any one use Travel Guard, member of AIG.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

If ZERO stars have been an option that's what they would've done. I have bought travel insurance for years and never had to use it until now due to mechanical issues on our plane. The delayed flights and missed connections would have us arriving three days late which we chose not to do. We had thousands of dollars of nonrefundable hotel and rental car expenses which Travel Guard said they would not cover unless half of our trip time or 6 days were lost! I thought that was what I was paying for. I had read the hundred blogs of terrible reviews after I had purchased the policy and I thought boy if I had read this before I purchased, I would not of purchased at all. Now I am truly sorry that I wasted the money and thanks to them, threw away thousands of dollars that they would not cover. DON'T BUY it!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Travel Guard AIG offers flight insurance to consumer without honoring their policy. I was one of those consumer. I live on a fixed income and tried to protect my trip investment buying insurance through this company. Needless to say I received no refund. Along with countless other victims I feel we the consumers need to file a class action lawsuit to closed this company down and be refunded that monies due us. This company is a predator, and continues to use little people like us to become wealthy. They NEED TO BE STOPPED!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I booked a vacation package for my family through spirit airlines. Also purchased travel insurance for covering our trip due to any unforeseen events. Later we found my wife is pregnant and she was suffering with severe vomiting and nausea. So we went to the primary physician and physician advised to avoid travel and take rest.

So I called spirit airlines and they said "since you have travel insurance, the trip cost will be covered so proceed with cancellation and start a claim with AIG." Then I called AIG and explained my situation and they send me a set of document to fill in and also a form for physician to fill in. I collected all the documentation along with the letter form the doctor as prescribed by AIG.

Almost after 1 month one person from AIG called and informed my claim is denied due to the situation as they do not recognize nausea and vomiting due to pregnancy as pregnancy complication. Even though they mentioned they are covering 'Pregnancy complication', but excludes the nausea and vomiting. Be very careful with this company, they will say "Yes" when you purchase and say tons of excuse when we actually put the claim. I will never do this mistake (Purchasing travel insurance) again. If you want to cancel the trip, cancel through airline and get whatever credit they give. This is complete rip-Off.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I broke my foot when traveling. I sent in the receipts 2 months ago and I still don't have a check. I talked to them once and they said it's being processed. I called again and on hold for an hour. When I check the status online it says I don't exist.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

It is enticing a low priced insurance offer to "safeguard" your purchase but oh boy! They will bring thousands of excuses to avoid honoring a claim. Check this out: I bought Travel Guard from FLL to DTW in the morning connecting flight coming from LIM and in Lima, the aircraft was grounded for 16 hours. Naturally I missed my connection flight (not fault of my own) but TRAVEL GUARD ONLY COVERS IF THE AIRLINE DOES IT REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER MIGHT HAPPEN TO YOU!!! In other words, the connecting flight departs on time but it is YOUR FAULT you were not there on time because is the first airline problem. I wonder why do you buy insurance if only applies to things that might happen to the airline only? I should not be lured into insuring the airline flight. WTF!!! DO NOT throw your money away and just give yourselves plenty back up plans and time. Oh how I hate corporate GREED. Read the fine print.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

AIG-Travel Guard is readily accessible when quoting a travel insurance policy, and providing payment instructions. If you ever have a claim, you will find it essentially impossible to connect with a customer service rep. Hold times are close to one hour. Even if you carefully fill out all the required forms and submit all the needed supporting documentation, Travel Guard is unresponsive, and even treats the customer as if one is doing something illicit by filing a claim. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I was misled by incompetent agents while inquiring whether or not I would be covered under a situation involving my boyfriend's military responsibilities. I wanted to book a campsite for a festival taking place upstate New York and was directed to call the Travel Guard agency to get more information on coverage, since the festival ticket/camping booking agency did NOT offer any refunds.

When I called Travel Guard I explained that I wanted to book a campsite at the festival before it sold out, but I was unsure if I would be able to attend since my boyfriend is Active National Guard and did not yet receive his Drill Schedule for the month we intended to travel. The woman I spoke to (Cal) responded to me by stating that as long as my boyfriend was able to prove he was called to duty (no specified information as to what does or does not qualify as "duty" was provided) within 7 days notice, the lodging fee for the campsite would be reimbursed under the $18 premium. She explained that I needed to book the campsite first, and then call back to purchase & apply the insurance. I had her set up a quote in Travel Guard's system, ended the call, and called the other agency to book the campsite.

When I called Travel Guard back, I spoke with a different associate who checked the policy and advised that my boyfriend's situation would in fact, NOT be covered since he would not be DEPLOYED under his circumstance. The failure to provide me with the correct information regarding the terms & conditions of the policy during my initial conversation with the agency caused me to book a campsite under the false pretenses that I would be covered should my boyfriend be called to drill.

The agent I spoke to said they would pull the recorded phone call conversation I had with the first representative, and make a decision whether or not I was misinformed, but did not hesitate to ask if I would like to go ahead and first purchase the insurance for $18. The associate's response & utter disregard to my distress further supports the illegitimacy of this business - why would I purchase the insurance before they came to a conclusion of whether or not I was covered?? Furthermore, the associate suggested I dispute the purchase of the campsite with my credit card provider, which was horrible advice since the festival ticket/campsite booking agency was entirely transparent with communicating their terms & conditions of sale (No Refunds/Exchanges whatsoever).

Upon their "review" of the call, Travel Guard contacted me to tell me that they determined I was not given any false information. When I stated that I did not agree with this conclusion, the associate advised that the first representative I spoke to "does not know military terminology" therefore, "she would not be able to accurately make a determination as far as my coverage under the policy". This explanation is completely absurd - there is no excuse for why a customer should be told they are covered under a policy after explaining their situation in explicit detail and asking as many questions as I did, when in actuality, they are not covered according to the bogus fine print. The associate should have CHECKED the policy requirements after I told her SEVERAL times my boyfriend is in the National Guard and made reference to his Drill Schedule countless times as well.

As if it was not enough that I was given false information to begin with, the fact that this business was unable to recognize and rectify it, and, instead, determined I was NOT misinformed, is unconscionable - they should not be allowed to further scam people out of their money. I would never use or recommend this agency to anyone.

Desired outcome: Proper training of Travel Guard associates to accurately determine customers' coverage eligibility. Proper training of Travel Guard representatives to adequately & justly resolve problems that should arise due to the provision of apparent false information given by their agency. Outside review of recorded conversations (between Travel Guard and prospective customers) to prevent biased deliberation and outcome.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I paid for trip insurance through AIG when I booked a flight to NY to take my 6 year old son to visit his family. After I booked the trip, my son was taken away from his mother by the courts and full custody was given to me. This situation was made worse for him since he has ADHD and was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Needless to say, it was not the best time to travel and I contacted AIG to use my insurance policy. They told me to send in documentation, which I did. Then AIG promptly denied me. I will never use AIG again for anything and will warn everybody I know about their poor customer relations and business practices.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

We recently planned a trip through a travel agent and regrettably could not go to a family member being sick. We had the most incredible time trying desperately to get our money refunded with the travel insurance that we purchased through AIG... It was horrific! They rejected our claim several times and they were extremely non-responsive to our repeated phone calls trying to settle this claim. We had to literally jump over hurdle over hurdle trying to get them to pay. The phone representatives acted like they could care less and gave an attitude of total "non-caring".

I would never EVER do business with this sketchy business again. They were a nightmare and it came when our family was already dealing with major life stresses. People should know how bad this AIG Insurance is. They do not care a thing about you.. just getting your money... then doing everything in their power to NOT pay up when they NEED TO. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I am writing to express my displeasure with the rejection of my AIG Travel Guard insurance claim, but more importantly, the unethical treatment I was given by a number of AIG Travel Guard staff members in trying to obtain information on my claim rejection and subsequent appeal. We purchased travel insurance with AIG Travel Guard on 8/21/14 for our Italy trip scheduled for 10/17/14. I developed a back problem after the purchase date which got progressively worse. My doctor decided that the trip would be detrimental and we cancelled. My claim for reimbursement of $6800 was mailed on 10/17/14. I received the final rejection of my claim on 3/4/15, six months later.

The first rejection of my claim in writing was received on 2/12/15. The reason given was that I had a pre-existing condition based on some chiropractor visits prior to buying the insurance. I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor gave a totally different reason for my rejection. Her explanation was that I saw an orthopedic surgeon in October after I filed my claim. I asked to speak with a manager. He agreed with me that it could not be the reason for my rejection. I asked what it would take to reconsider his decision. He said a statement from my chiropractor stating that my condition was stable and controlled prior to purchasing the insurance.

My chiropractor sent in that statement the next day and one month later 3/4/15 came the second rejection letter. This time the reason given was because the 8/22/14 treatment I received from my chiropractor there was no mention of the dates prior to my insurance being purchased. He states in the letter that my condition was controlled and stable up to 8/22. Since the policy states that it goes into effect at 12:01 am that day after purchase of the insurance, the treatment I received, although it was after the time it goes into effect, is still considered a pre-existing condition.

I filed with the NYS Dept. of Finance a complaint against this judgment. After three months, they determined that this was a legal matter. However, in the information they requested from AIG Travel Guard the reason given for my rejection went back to the initial letter listing a number of dates in the look-back period prior to purchasing the insurance, a direct contradiction of the March rejection letter.

I called the writer of that letter and asked to answer two questions: How can your medical examiner determine it was a pre-existing condition when both my doctor and chiropractor stated in writing that it wasn't? How can getting treatment for a condition after the policy goes into effect constitute a pre-existing condition?

He could not answer. I went on to a supervisor. She could not answer. I moved to the next level, a manager. She could not answer the questions and in fact it took almost a month to finally get a call from the head of the department. He did not answer the questions either. After dealing with seven people in the claims and consumer complaint divisions of AIG Travel Guard, I reached out to the top. I called the office of the CEO of AIG and was promised a callback on three different occasions. None came.

When I stated that I would go public concerning the treatment I have been given, I got a call from the President of AIG Travel Guard. He was pleasant, apologized for how I had been treated, but was unwilling to allow any further appeals. He did not answer the questions I posed. I was left with this situation. My chiropractor and doctor stated in writing that I did not have a pre-existing condition. AIG Travel Guard personnel from the first claims analyst to the President of the company played the shell game of changing reasons for my rejection and refusing to answer my questions at every level.

The two alternatives that still existed were to hire an attorney or go to small claims court. I contacted an attorney who said it would cost at least $3000 with no guarantees. I found that to go to small claims court I would have to file in Wisconsin or New York City, and even if they find in my favor, I have to collect on my own. My wife encouraged me to drop the whole thing insisting that I was getting very stressed out by it. How I was treated by AIG Travel Guard was wrong, and I feel I need to let others know that it is company unworthy on anyone's business.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

I booked a cruise to Alaska with a travel companion to assist with my medical issues of bilateral para neuropathy and ataxia. I required her to assist me with navigating stairs and curbs as well as assisting with balance issues causing potential falls. My travel companion cancelled due to her mother's ill health and resulting hospice care. I am unable to travel without this needed assistance.

When I contacted Travel Guard for reimbursement. They had me complete and submit payment forms, medical forms and bank statements proving travel costs and expenses. I faxed these completed forms and medical statements twice and mailed forms through the postal service once. I spoke with "claims" managers multiple times (phone # 1-715-295-1113). They kept asking me to submit more proof of my medical condition and treatments I received. The most recent medical treatment information, I faxed to them 9 days ago. So far, I have received no response. I am still waiting to be reimbursed for a legitimate claim.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I booked a trip to Punta Cana on 1/5/15 to begin on 1/18/15 for four nights and took out the Travel Guard cancellation insurance. On 1/12/15 I had to admit myself to the hospital emergency room for heart related problems. I have had some heart palpitations over the years but this was somewhat exceptional so I wanted to make sure I was okay since I was going to a foreign country. I followed that up with an appointment with my personal physician the next day. He advised me not to travel until after I saw a cardiologist. He made the appointment for me and I have had two procedures in outpatient since. I contacted Travel Guard to file a claim thinking I would surely be covered.

Today (3/3/15), I received a call from the insurance company that my claim was denied. I told the agent that this was ridiculous. They said because I had previous symptoms was the reason. Why would I book a flight, which I lost that money? Also, if I thought I was unfit to travel I would have not made reservations. I am a senior citizen living on social security and it is quite difficult to finance a trip anywhere. It's sad when a large company appears to take advantage of a client. You travelers out there had better be careful who you deal with.

Original review: March 4, 2014

This is a warning to travelers with pre-existing medical conditions about Travel Guard | AIG Property Casualty, 3300 Business Park Drive, Stevens Point, WI 54482). It has "policies" to reject trip cancellation claims that may be legal but do not align with the service they are suppose to be providing. Others may have similar policies. The best way for travelers to avoid this happening to them is to find an insurance company that provides "cancel for any reason" policy. Decide for yourself whether TRAVEL GUARD insurance policies are "legal theft" - below is how they used their policies to reject my $7,300 trip cancellation claim...

I had lymphoma in remission for over 5 years - TRAVEL GUARD labeled that a "pre-existing medical condition." Then they rejected my travel cancellation claim by using medical visits and tests that occurred BEFORE the disease was found and BEFORE a treatment was decided on. They called the prior visits and tests "treatment" and called the cancer that was in remission a "pre-existing" disease. Question: How is it possible to "treat" a disease before it is found? Below is their policy justification:

"This (TRAVEL GUARD) plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from: (t) PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION: The Insurer will not pay for any Loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which, within the 60-day period immediately preceding and including the Insured's coverage effective date: (a) first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician; (c) required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines. "

In my case, they ignored the medical definition of treatment and also ignored the following: 1.) The oncologist formal letter confirming no cancer was known to be active before the insurance started. 2) The accepted medical definition of "treatment". TRAVEL GUARD defines the medical office exams/tests are medical treatments - treatments that occurred before the disease was found? Since when do exploratory medical visits and tests cure disease? How can anyone identify a treatment before you know the disease to cure?

3.) TRAVEL GUARD also ignores that pre-existing medical conditions, medical visits, and tests do not cause trip cancellations. Only unexpected treatments can (not always) cause vacation cancellations. In my case, chemo caused the cancellation. Had it been radiation, the trip would not have been cancelled. In summary, anyone with a pre-existing medical condition MUST avoid insurance companies that use prior medical visits/tests, performed while no disease is known, to reject vacation cancellation claims.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2012

Hello all. I wanted to share my experience with travel insurance companies. Recently I purchased Travel Guard medical insurance policy, had an operation abroad and submitted a claim 4 months ago, still waiting to be paid as at the time they did not organize things directly with the hospital. Every time I call they say "We are reviewing the claim" and asked for the same documents several times. Now they say that some investigators will go to the hospital and that would delay 60 to 90 more days. THAT IS NOT WHY I GOT INSURANCE! The insurance is supposed to cover you in cases like that.... But no, NEVER use Travel Guard!!! If somebody can help me let me know as I really need these money.

Travel Guard expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky