1.16/5

Looking for travel insurance?

111 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

As the title suggests... stay away from this. A COMPLETE LIE! The policy does not specify any exceptions... and, there are many. You will be dealing with moronic service agents for hours on end. A complete waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Do not waste your money on this falsehood of travel protection coverage. I purchased for a trip to see my terminally ill mother and was purchased the coverage "just in case" I needed to change plans depending on my mother's health. Well I had to call and try to delay my return trip because my mother was dying and I was not going to leave her. I was told that I could not change my flight plan and would have to cancel return trip and then call back when rebooking and use the claim number they give me. Well all lies because then I was told when I booked return trip that I would need to send death certificate and copy of obituary.

Well been there and have sent these required item twice now and they declined my claim stating date of death was outside of my coverage. Still I cannot put a price on the precious last days that I was able to spend with my mother and will cherish them always. I will never purchase Travel Guard again and hope and pray that no one loses any of their hard earned money on a fraudulent, false sense of security, unethical company.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE AIG Travel Guard Insurance. This company is a fraud. I purchased travel insurance for my trip next month (October 2018) back in April when I booked my tickets. I had to cancel due to a work commitment that was mandatory. Before purchasing the ticket and the insurance I verified with AIG that my trip would be 100% covered. Today it's a completely different story. Submitted everything that was asked for including the letter of verification from my employer for the claim along with all the receipts. I received an email from them saying that was not a good excuse for canceling my trip. If I was sick, dead or someone in my family was dead then I would have qualified!!! I would NEVER use this company again. They are quick to take your money but won't pay your claim. STAY AWAY from AIG/Travel Guard.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I hope this stops a few people from purchasing AIG Travel Guard Insurance so they can spend that money on something useful. This company is a fraud as far as I'm concerned as I purchased travel insurance for my trip this month (September 2018) and had to cancel due to business. I am self employed and my very largest client needed my services the same time as I had booked my trip. AND because I enjoy having a place to live (rather than living under a bridge) I accommodated my client by telling them I would be there for them.

I submitted a claim to recover the $264 I paid for the ticket and received an email from them saying that was not a good excuse for canceling my trip. If I was sick, dead or someone in my family was dead then I guess it would have qualified!!! I would NEVER use this company again. They are quick to take your money but won't pay your claim.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My wife and I had planned to travel to Houston, TX in September 2018. We had purchased a flight cancellation plan from Travel Guard (AIG) for a United Airlines flight that we had booked through Travelocity.com. While we were on our trip, our 4 year-old son was going to be being watched by his grandmother in North Carolina. Unfortunately, 3 days prior to leaving for our trip, our home was projected to be in the path of Hurricane Florence, which on the day of cancellation was a Category 4-5 hurricane.

We determined that it was not safe to leave our son in North Carolina with his grandparents while we traveled to Texas. If something were to happen, we would have no way to reach him in a timely manner. We were able to get full refunds for both of the hotels that we had booked for our trip, even though one of them had said that our hotel room was non-refundable. They were very understanding of the situation, that we would be separated from our son during a hurricane. The process of cancelling the flight was poorly handled by the representative from Travelocity, who told me to first call Travel Guard and see what they said. After talking to a representative from Travel Guard, I was told that I had a good reason for cancelling our flight, but that she was not a claims adjuster and could not make any assessment as to whether or not we would be reimbursed.

We then spoke to Travelocity again, where the agent said she had spoken with representatives from United Airlines, and that because the flight was not yet cancelled, there was nothing that could be done on the end of United Airlines. I informed the Travelocity representative that the Travel Guard rep said there was no way to guarantee that a cancellation claim would be paid until the flight was cancelled and an actual claim was filed with Travel Guard. We had no choice but to cancel the flight and file a claim with Travel Guard. It was disappointing how little the Travelocity rep understood about Travel Guard, given the travel insurance was purchased on the Travelocity website.

Understanding that we cancelled because there would be no way to reach our son from Houston, Texas if anything happened to him as a result of Hurricane Florence in North Carolina, the Travel Guard claims adjuster replied with the following: "We value you as a customer and appreciate your business; however, we must inform you that there is no coverage under the policy for the claim presented. According to the information provided, you filed a claim because your trip was cancelled or interrupted due to the hurricane. Unfortunately, this reason does not fall within one of the named, covered perils on the policy."

We then contacted Travelocity, who ultimately said there was nothing that they could do. Ultimately, we lost over $800 between the cost of the travel insurance and the costs of the flights, which could not be recouped. Our family obviously won't do business with Travelocity, Expedia, or AIG/Travel Guard again. We wish that we had seen this website and read the reviews before purchasing travel insurance from AIG/Travel Guard.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We bought the travel insurance from Vayama when I bought my plane tickets. From what it looks like, it promised 100 percent refund if we canceled the trip before 48 hours beforehand. It didn’t did not specify only some conditions or reasons, could we get 100 percent back in the heading. We could not guarantee we could take the days off, so we paid 150 dollars just in case we needed to cancel. From their customer service, it sounds like they are affiliate with Vayama, meaning they only provide insurance for them. I called in to the customer service line and after 48 minutes of waiting, I was able to speak to a customer representative. I also called the Vayama representatives that if I were to cancel, the cancellation fee should be paid by the insurance company. (The cancellation fee was 780 dollars to cancel all three tickets). I spoke to the representative from the Travel Guard about the cancellation fee and he said they could be filed under the claim.

He also said since being unable to take off work doesn’t constitute as a valid reason for 100% refund, I would only get max of 75%. After a few days, I also emailed them to confirm they would pay for cancellation fee before I went ahead in canceling the tickets, however the respond I got back was different than what the representative told me. The email said they don’t cover the cancellation fee only the trip cost. Since the cancellation fee is incredibly high and we would only get 75% of the trip cost, we would be losing 1200. Considering we only paid 1500 for the 3 tickets in total, this is a complete waste. I would never purchase insurance for this company ever again and I regret not searching up this scam of a company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company finds any excuse to not pay out. I have submitted documents for legitimate circumstances, and I get a response back days later describing how they can't or won't pay. They keep your hopes up by telling you that, "If you have this other item, we can pay you." When you send that in, they pull out another excuse. This company is a fraud and should pay for their crimes.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Do not purchase hotel insurance through Expedia. As so many others have stated, they do not pay even if you have a legitimate reason. I purchased a hotel room in Tampa so I could be by my mother's side during a serious surgery. A week before the surgery, the doctors said my mother was too sick to operate on. It two adjusters MONTHS to sort the claim. In the end, they didn't pay a penny. Total scam! Do not pay for the hotel insurance!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased travel insurance from AIG through the airline I bought a ticket from. I needed to cancel the trip a month in advance because work obligations disallowed me to leave. I attempted to file a claim and was denied. I expected this. What I did not expect was after some rigorous research, I found that the majority of people who purchased travel insurance from this company were denied claims though they had much more legitimate reasons to cancel their respective travel plans than I. Natural disasters, family emergencies, illness, etc. The list goes on yet claims weren’t paid to these poor people.

Further investigation yielded some information regarding those people who left positive reviews about this company. The vast majority of those reviewers never filed claims with this company. They stated that purchasing AIG insurance prior to their trips made them “feel safe” but no legitimate claims were ever rendered. This leads me to believe that AIG doesn’t pay claims. And collects money from the uninformed banking on never making a payout. It’s almost impressive how horrible this company is. Stay far away. Shame on AIG.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Actually about the only thing that AIG is good for is to waste money. I had wanted to take my mom to Montreal and had made the mistake of spending money on insurance. BIG MISTAKE and a complete waste of time. They have you jump through so many hoops and keep demanding that I resubmit documents which I have already submitted twice. These people are a complete SCAM. Your money would be better placed in a Ponzi scheme.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I recently purchased reservations for 3 rooms at Sonesta Hotel in Cusco, Peru. My family and I were unable to use these rooms due to an 18-hour train delay from Aguas Calientes. Smartly (I thought at the time) I had purchased travel insurance through the AIG travel guard that Expedia offered with this reservation. So I filed a claim when we returned to the U.S. It was denied because our lives were not in peril, we were not kidnapped, we were not incarcerated, none of us were in the hospital. The Terms and Conditions that they list lead one to believe that one can get a refund from an unforeseen need to cancel the hotel reservations. Shame on Expedia for offering a scam to people. And Beware to other Travelers!! Do not sign up or pay for travel insurance offered by Expedia.com and certainly do not ever use AIG Travel Guard!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My plane ticket cost $1,034.60 and $75 for insurance. I canceled because the person I was going to see got pneumonia. I cancelled my flight and they said, "Too bad! You're not getting your money back." Then they informed me that I needed a signed doctor's paper for the person I was going to see.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

AIG Travel Insurance/Expedia Travel insurance company suck. Don't never ever buy from them. You paid for the insurance policy and they failed to inform me that the only way You can get the refund for your ticket must be a Medical for you to get the refund for your trip. So many people review stating that they have Medical reason, deaths in family, Hurricanes all with paperwork and the company still denied all their Claim. This company Is complete Rip off. DO NOT EVER BUY EXPEDIA/AIG TRAVEL GUARD PROTECTION PLAN!!! Waste of money for insurance. The customers rule not helpful. It’s better to take $20 and use it to light the BBQ grill??? #aigtravelguard #aigtravelinsurance #expedia #protetionplan #aig #suckcompany #ripoff

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Purchased their trip insurance plan since my wife was pregnant, in case something wrong would happen. Weeks before we took the flight, doctors told us not to take the plane because of a placenta previa. Filed a claim, gave them more documents/proofs than needed. A week later, we got a simple email saying the claim was denied, that you need to lose the baby to get your money back! Amazing! To summarize, amazing insurance, amazing people! Just kidding. Never ever go with them. Pure and simple scam.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I booked a room with Expedia and purchased AIG as known as Travel Guard showing that I would be safe with my purchase even if I was to be a no show BUT they denied my claim when I had a death in the family. I'm out of the cost of the room and insurance cost. DON'T TRUST EXPEDIA OR AIG / TRAVEL GUARD!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

For anyone reading this, please DO NOT ever purchase travel insurance through AIG. I have foolishly done so in the past, and called AIG to ask if I qualified to file a legitimate claim with them on two separate occasions. On both occasions, I was told that I did not qualify. The first occasion involved Hurricane Matthew. I had traveled to Orlando that year, and my family and I had to return home very early due to the hurricane. When I booked the travel, the hurricane had not been forecast. Despite this however, I was told that my trip interruption did not qualify as a "legitimate reason" to file a claim.

Then recently, I traveled to Guatemala. I was originally supposed to arrive there within the same day. However, the airline made a change to my flight, and I didn't arrive until the following morning. So that I wouldn't have to spend a night at the Mexico City airport, I booked a night at the hotel across the street. Once again, I called AIG to see if this qualified as trip interruption, and was told that it was not. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that this insurance is a fraudulent scam. After reading many other bad reviews on this insurance earlier today, I will no longer purchase this insurance, and advise all readers to do the same. SIMPLY PUT, DO NOT BUY IT! It is a waste of money, as they will find a "clause", or a reason to justify why your situation does not qualify.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I purchased AIG Travel Guard insurance, because I needed to book my trip, but I also knew there was a small chance that the trip might change by one day. Against the odds, it did - so I called Expedia, who told me that I cannot change my trip - instead, I'd have to cancel the trip, and re-book it, which I did, since I felt comfortable in the fact that I had cancellation insurance. But, when I filed a claim to recover the cost of the original flight, they told me (big surprise) that the reason I gave for the cancellation was not a valid one. (The reason was I had to be at my work one day earlier than I originally thought.) Any time I have EVER had a claim with this type of insurance, the insurer always ducks and dodges, and NEVER pays. It would be better to take $22 and use it to light your grill. Do NOT buy this insurance!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was in need of emergency medical assistance for a sprained knee in Israel... total amount was $204 USD. I submitted to AIG, was told to submit to my US insurance company. AIG knows that neither Medicare nor supplemental covers overseas medical care - that's why we (have to) buy the travel insurance. 3 times I wrote back with this information; AIG responded with "Sometimes supplemental will pay overseas claims." NOT! After everyone's time is wasted by my submitting to Medicare and Blue Shield, AIG will have to pay. They just string you along hoping you will not take the time to follow up. Sorry AIG, this time you are messing with the wrong sister! I will not use AIG again.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Will take care of you while in the hospital but will not reimburse when it comes time to pay up on airfare. Flew my fiance over to be by my side and paid my hospital bill but as I already had a ticket to return home when I was well I bought her ticket for much less than the original ticket through AIG. Will not reimburse even though they didn't have to pay my ticket, didn't have to pay food, didn't have to pay anything else. All I asked was for the flight back to be reimbursed. NOPE! They were just going to leave my fiance over there. Good job sticking your clients with the bill, AIG!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Do not purchase AIG Travel Insurance. I booked a flight on Travelocity, and purchased the travel cancellation insurance knowing there was a chance I wouldn't be able to make my trip. I did have to cancel, and Travelocity did not refund my money, but gave me some sort of travel credit that I will never be able to use! I called AIG to file a claim and get my refund, and they told me I had to file my claim online. The representative was unhelpful. After explaining my situation, he pretty much told me that I am out $650! I will never use Travelocity to book travel any longer, and I will boycott every AIG insurance or financial services product they offer!

Original review: July 9, 2018

Rip-off company. I travel every year to Europe with my family and always get travel insurance because I have Pacemaker/Defibrillator. This year I got 2 tickets to Europe for June 3 2018 for $ 2300.00. In May I had heart problems had to have heart surgery and could not go. I submitted my paperwork to AIG with the operation report and a CD. I was then informed they wanted it in longhand. I went back to my Cardiologist and he did it. After sending this in I was informed by AIG that they don't cover pre-existing conditions. What a joke of a company.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Recently the International Airline changed our departure flight to another day. When I called to modify the coverage I was informed that I had to buy another policy since their policy does not allow for flight changes not under the specific guidelines. Such as Airlines combining two flights into one due to low passenger turnout. What a scam. I did not cause any action on this so why am I penalized? Really be careful about taking out any insurance, especially from this company, if you book your flight well in advance because any time the airline changes one segment it would require that you purchase a completely new policy.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Unfortunately due to a job loss I had to cancel a trip but luckily had pre-purchased trip insurance. My insurance agent granted my claim after a month of back and forth and sending every document and letter I possibly could, only for him to send my check to a random address across the country. Upon contacting him and him saying he sent a "correct" check to my address that has been on every form I've sent thus far, the check arrived STILL with the incorrect address from across the country.

After speaking with him he now says my claims cannot be processed until further proof of my no longer having a job and despite speaking with numerous people from that specific business regarding my employment and the correct manager to address, he continues to make excuses as to why he cannot process my claim. It has been almost 4 months now and I am still going back and forth. This has completely defeated the purpose of getting the insurance in the first place and to be honest I don't know how this man still has a job.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I booked a flight for my family leaving Managua Nicaragua because the government was/is killing its citizens and any persons speaking against. I called AIG to ask IF I purchased a travel policy with my situation, would I get a refund. The US Embassy put out an email saying not to travel on my date because there would most likely be violent protest and counter violence by the National Police. I filed my claim and was denied. The reason for denial was that the US doesn't consider the airport closing as "Terrorist Activity." Even though more than one reason was met according to the DOC all reasons deemed denied. This refund money would have gone to buy food for Nicaraguans in dire need. AIG has stolen our money and therefore taken food from the needy.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I purchased travel for my son as he was returning to college. Two days prior to the trip he became ill with the flu. Based on a fever, chills, and cough he was advised not to travel. As a result, he did not fly. I was not worried as the doctor provided us with a medical note. I was informed by AIG that the note was not sufficient and they would need the doctor to complete a lengthy questionnaire and they also would need access to his medical records. What!!! The majority of colds and the flu are treated via the phone and advice nurse. Additionally, the note has been verified as authentic and you need access to his private medical records. The service is a complete ripoff! Don't waste your money!

Original review: June 27, 2018

You purchase travel insurance in the hopes that if something out of your control were to happen, that you would be provided for. I purchased Travel Guard through Expedia for a flight in 3 weeks. My grand-dad fell extremely ill, and I needed to cancel my flight. Even though he is considered "immediate" family, they are unable to insure me because he is not flying with me. This is a complete rip-off. You still have to pay cancellation fees with the airline, they protect you from NOTHING. Save your money.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This company sells you travel insurance. However this will NOT pay you for cancelled trips. They offer nothing more than you already get for free from airlines, etc which is basically nothing. I had a cancelled trip, in advance, out of my control, and they would not cover it. I made several attempts and they gave me the same stipulations and lack of coverage as the airline and rental car agency did when contacting them direct. They are thieves who provide no real coverage.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought the travel insurance from Travel Guard for a flight to Germany for last March. Because of an illness in the family and they were expected to go home so I wanted to change my flight to later date, which I did change and was charged $300 to change flight and the so called insurance would not refund my money without the Dr in Germany filling out several pages on this patient. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We had a group of 11 family members from 3 different states going on a cruise. My brother-in-law became very ill and was placed in ICU and was not expected to make it. Our family decided to cancel the cruise even if we lost our money. Before filing the claim, I read these reviews and was a little nervous until I noticed that most of the complaints are about things that are not covered. A life threatening illness of an immediate family member was the reason our claim was filed. The list of immediate family members included was greater than I thought it would be, nieces, nephews, in-laws, immediate family member of a travel companion, were all included. Every single member of our party qualified.

There was a good bit of paperwork to complete, including the doctor's form saying that it was a life threatening illness. However, I am happy to report that we were all refunded our complete purchase prices. Anyone I spoke to at Travel Guard was extremely courteous and helpful. The only money we were out was the cost of the insurance. My suggestion is to read the policy before you purchase it. Make sure you know what you are buying. It's like any other insurance, some things are covered and some things are not. Thankfully, we were in the covered category.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased this, indeed I have done so many times before, when purchasing a ticket on Expedia. Due to an acute illness, I could not catch the scheduled flight. By the time that I would have been able to see a physician, the symptoms had abated. In order to provide Travel Guard/AIG with medical documentation, I would have had to require my family physician to commit fraud.

Their email reply contains the sentence: “Sickness” means an illness or disease diagnosed or treated by a Physician. For most acute conditions this is not possible, especially when one is located in circumstances where immediate visits to physicians are not possible. Note that their ad on Expedia includes the following: Get up to 100% flight refund if you're sick and can't travel. This is useless for most illnesses, because for most illnesses there is no need for diagnosis or treatment by a physician. And, even if one were able to immediately seek diagnosis or treatment, in the US costs tend to be prohibitive for most conditions.

So my advice to those of you who use Expedia to book your tickets, do not waste $35 USD on the purchase of their "Total Protection Plan", as it is just a scam whereby they can accumulate large numbers of small purchases and actually deliver payment on an infinitesimally small number. Caveat Emptor: My advice to anyone who sees this on Expedia: "Protect your flight Recommended Avoid change fees. Protect your trip. Required Total Protection Plan. Top 3 benefits of travel protection. Get up to: 100% flight refund if you're sick and can't travel. $1,000 for lost baggage, including laptop, phone or camera. $15,000 for emergency medical transportation." Ignore this. It is a scam. It is specifically designed to increase their income by deception. Never, under any circumstances, give them even one dollar of your money.

Travel Guard expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky