2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Travel Guard

Travel Guard
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

AIG Travel, Inc., a member of American International Group, Inc., is a worldwide leader in travel insurance and global assistance. Travel Guard® the marketing name for its portfolio of travel insurance and travel-related services, including medical and security services, marketed to both leisure and business travelers around the globe. Services are provided through a network of wholly owned service centers located in Asia, Europe and the Americas. For additional information, please visit our websites.

Travel Guard Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2020

I have now had two occasions to use Travel Guard insurance in the past four years for flights I could not take due to injury or illness. Both times the refund was speedy and easy. Both times I purchased this insurance via United and the refund actually came from United (after I filed with TRavel Guard I was instructed by the person I spoke with at Travel Guard to go to the United refund site and upload my documentation there). Both times the refund was processed within 10-14 days. I was surprised to see negative reviews here and all I can imagine is that people are expecting them to cover things the policy does not cover -- read the contract before you purchase it, so you know what it covers. If you are injured (as I was playing tennis) or fall ill and have seen a doctor about it and can produce evidence, you will be covered. At least that was my experience.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Due to limited space, we'll do our best. Our final leg of a return trip took us through Chicago O'Hare where we were stranded. The American Airlines captain had his aircraft backed away from the gate 10 mins early, leaving 24 passengers stranded, all of whom wound up at the AA Service desk. Ours was the last flight home that evening. Not wanting to stay, my wife and I picked up a one-way rental vehicle and set out on a six hour journey. In addition to the vehicle, fuel was purchased.

The next day our travel guide suggested we file a claim with AIG Travel Guard (TG) and further suggested a list of documents to send. A long story short, we e-mailed the 17 page packages a week later; every page was necessary for various reasons. TG received our claim on Nov 13. We checked our claim weekly until Dec 16, when we decided to call TG, a task that requires being placed on-hold 10-20 mins. When we were connected, the rep. was polite, concerned, and helpful each time we called.

On January 7, a little less than two months later, we received our reimbursement. So why are we giving a review? We read nearly every review and had decided we were wasting our time. Each time we checked our claim status, TG was requesting information we had already provided. We seemed to be falling into that one-star category. But wait....we were reimbursed.

Unbeknownst to us, the claims rep. with whom we spoke did, in fact, expedite our paperwork just like he said he would. So, on Jan 7, we called the telephone number provided us by e-mail to talk to Jeanette **, our Claims Adjuster. Ms. ** discussed in detail the many reasons claims take so much time. That was an education. Over 20 thousand claims deep and our measly claim was expedited over who knows how many. We are not asking anyone to trust our review. We are simply saying accurate documentation mixed with a lot of patience will yield eventual benefits.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

After reading all of the reviews on here, I was a bit nervous that my claim might be denied. I was supposed to fly 12/6, but was still getting over an infection. I was seen (and treated) by a doctor on 12/1 and given antibiotics. By 12/5 my symptoms had not subsided to a point that I was comfortable traveling and I was still taking the medication, so I cancelled my trip and submitted all of my paperwork from the doctor (diagnosis included) to AIG with my claim. On 12/16, I received approval on the claim, no questions asked, no further documentation required. My assumption is that 90% of people on here leaving bad reviews were trying to get reimbursed for reasons that were NOT covered by the insurance plan. That's a you problem, not a company problem. I will definitely purchase this insurance again in the future.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

We purchase a Travelguard policy for each of our trips but have never had to use it until recently. Back in September we were taking a trip to Vienna, Salzburg and Prague. We were at the airport ready to board the aircraft when I decided I probably should not board due to some chest discomfort I had been having for a few days. We left the airport and went to the ER instead. I was told by the ER attending physician that my symptoms were not cardiac-related, so I got the all-clear to travel. We returned home and re-purchased tickets to depart the next day instead on a slightly different routing to meet up with our friends at the 2nd stop, Salzburg. We would miss Vienna altogether since we were to be there for just two nights anyway.

The trip went great, and when we returned home I began the task of rounding things up to submit a claim. I called Travelguard to begin the process and the representative suggested what I should list in the claim. Once I finally got everything I needed, I mailed all the information - a pile 1/2" thick mind you - in to travelguard. I was expecting a call from them to discuss my claim but no one ever called me. I patiently waited and watched the website for updates. It took about three weeks from the date they received my paperwork before I noticed on the website that my claim had been approved for all I had asked for (reimburse original airfare, transfers, train tickets).

I got an email the following day telling me the same thing the website indicated. Within a week of that, I had my reimbursement check. I was pleasantly surprised because I had read such dismal reviews on this webpage. But I followed all claim instructions to a "T", and even to the point of repetition of some things, so I had hoped I had given them more than enough information to make a determination.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Paid for travel insurance but my parents who are 85 and 93. Covid-19 prevented their ability to travel. Travel Guard has been horrible throughout this experience. Here it is now two months and I have not gotten a direct answer. I have filled out all the paperwork at the wedding on a phone countless times the countless hours. I contacted individual today and was told I should be receiving an email as my claim form was not executed. I asked them to check it and they responded acknowledging it wasn't fact in their file. I asked for my refund. They then told me that Expedia, the travel agent was reviewing the claim. Expedia, after an hour wait on their phone, told me I must file for a refund with American Airlines first. American Airlines stated that I needed to talk to Expedia or travel guard.

Now here it is, 2 months later, and after all the phone calls and waiting on the line getting switched from one company to the next to the next, I find myself waiting on a rejection from American so I can go back to Expedia and show them I have no refund, so they can they can "complete" their review, and send me back the travel guard who took my money yet will not address the situation.

I'm a former prosecuting attorney and I have a ph.d where I did my dissertation on fraud. The difuse accountability structure exhibited here is worse than any fraudulent organization I have ever encountered. I have put in countless hours and I am no closer to receiving a satisfactory answer to my claim than I was two months ago when I filed it. Consumer Affairs and the BBB need to put an end to this property and this sham. Hard-working people are being ripped off and their dreams are turning into nightmares. Look at the overall rating of 1.2 where 1 is the lowest rating you can get. This company is committing fraud in the inducement and no one is doing anything about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Travel?

Original review: May 16, 2020

After booking a European trip on November 2019 for vacation taking place in June 2020, I purchased AIG / Travel Guard to ensure my trip was covered. As soon as the pandemic was announced in March 17, 2020, coupled with my employer cancelling all vacations and requests days off because I was classified as essential, I emailed AIG / Travel Guard explaining this. I also provided all the paperwork, such as flight / hotel information and supporting official documents detailing what they request and needed.

As of this writing, I have yet to hear from any representative or receive an email, other than a generic no-reply email, of any communication to update my claims and status. I have attempted to call the company and with patience I was on hold for over three hours and I still was unable to get through. I completely understand that the high volume of calls during the Covid-19 but it seems that this agency does not care about customer service and only they care about is profits. Believe me, I will NEVER use to this company again and my recommendation is to others is beware.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Cruise was cancelled due to virus. Requested refund within the time limit and that was verified by one of their phone reps. Refused to give refund. Requested to apply to another trip next year. Again refused. Do not waste your money. We will never use this company again. We have used a different company in the past for many cruises but thought we would try this company. Never again. Slow to respond and even though cancellation was not our fault they kept the money. Glad I didn’t have file a claim. Would probably be out thousands if it was a serious problem. Only a few hundred but not a good company.

Original review: May 14, 2020

In December of 2019 after two years of saving on a fixed income, myself and my wife planned a trip. We paid a tour company and an airlines for the trip and added two days to the hotel reservation to recover from the flight. We also added travel insurance through Travel Guard for $496. In April both the tour company and airlines cancelled and refunded our money. Travel Guard would not refund our payment saying that we needed to cancel within the first 15 days to receive a refund. In 2008, the American public bailed out AIG, Travel Guard's parent, to the tune of 182 billion dollars. Where is the justice here? They should have refunded an unused policy. I would never again use this company.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I booked a trip to Vegas for Memorial Weekend. Because of the Pandemic, I am not able to fly. I filed a claim with AIG Travel on March 27, 2020 and it is now May 14, 2020 and absolutely no one seems to know the status of my claim. I've called 3 times without success. I understand the high call volumes but I've waited patiently and my flight is scheduled for next week and I have no idea whether I will be reimbursed. Never AGAIN will I use AIG Travel Insurance.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I booked a flight through Expedia last January. The flight was part of a excursion to Myrtle Beach under ludicrous premise to play golf (‘Golf’ is a four letter word for “drinking lots of beer). The flight was scheduled for April 22. At the time of booking I invested $19 for AIG Travel Guard Insurance – this is strongly recommended by Expedia. Expedia has a clever arrangement with AIG. They talk you into buying AIG insurance so that when your flight to Detroit ends up in Bangkok, Expedia tells that since you bought the AIG insurance you need to contact AIG.

Under the plan, AIG Travel Guard claims they will reimburse you up to your total trip cost if you need to cancel or interrupt your trip for any covered reason, subject to limitations and exclusions. Well about 3 weeks before the schedule departure date I was informed by the airline that my flight was cancelled because of the Covid 19 pandemic. I contacted Expedia who, of course, told me I had to contact AIG. When I called AIG I was instructed by a computer (of course no one actually works for AIG except computer programmers) to wait till 5 days before my scheduled flight before filing a claim. And, of course, the claim had to be filed electronically online.

It takes more time to file a claim than to take SAT exam. And you just can’t tell them what happened. You have to choose from a list why you didn’t make your flight and of course ‘the flight got canceled’ isn’t one of them. Check the box why you missed your flight include:
    o My husband died of Bubonic Plague
    o I got a speeding ticket going through Holland Tunnel
    o My water sprinkler system wouldn’t turn off

o …

When you finally complete filling out the form they give you a Confirmation Number that has more numbers and letter than ‘War and Peace’ (they do this because it makes them seem more official). They tell you if you qualify you will be reimbursed within 10 days after your scheduled flight but if ever do have to contact them use the confirmation number.

After 10 days I go into the AIG Web site to find out the status of my case. As requested I enter the confirmation number and my last name and after a few seconds I get a response “That confirmation number does not exist”. (I hope they don’t pay the computer programmer who wrote this piece of code a lot of money).

Now I feel I really have to talk to ‘someone’ at AIG. And, of course, it would be easier finding Richard Kimble than to find a phone number for AIG on the Internet. But I persevere. So what better way to spend a day than waiting on hold for Customer Service, listening to snip-its of classical music in between a recording telling you how important your call is to them and how busy they are.

And when you finally do get through to an AIG customer service agent and tell them you’re interested in the status of your claim the customer service agent immediately start speaking some language that sounds like a combination of Korean and Swahili. I think that programmer wrote the “That confirmation number does not exist” code would be well suited for customer service.

At the end of the day I come to the conclusion that I am not going to get my money back. (I hope that Travelocity does not have a similar arrangement with AIG). Losing the cost of the flight, I can live with, but getting ripped off by an insurance agency just rubs me the wrong way. Of course you have to take into consideration that $19 buy you enough beer to get through the first hole.

AIG Travel author review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor