Find a Travel Insurance partner

Travel Guard

Travel Guard

3.4/5 (231 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About Travel Guard

AIG Travel, Inc., a member of American International Group, Inc., is a worldwide leader in travel insurance and global assistance. Travel Guard® the marketing name for its portfolio of travel insurance and travel-related services, including medical and security services, marketed to both leisure and business travelers around the globe. Services are provided through a network of wholly owned service centers located in Asia, Europe and the Americas. For additional information, please visit our websites.

Travel Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Travel?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

If you are in need of travel insurance I encourage you to look elsewhere. Please know that I filed my claim with AIG when I was unable to travel to Africa because of an inconclusive Covid-19 test result. 24 hours after the airline sent links to request a full airfare refund, I promptly used the airline’s link to request my refund and it was received about 48 hours later.

About a week later I received an email from AIG indicating that my claim was denied, not because I had already received my refund but because my reason for asking for a reason didn’t meet their criteria. How ironic that the airline found the reason valid, Aig didn’t even investigate just instantly denied the claim. Pathetic treatment of claims in a pandemic, unless you are sick with Covid or something else you’re basically screwed. Beware of their tactics to do nothing to help you! They stole my money and did nothing!! JUST SHARING!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

We bought travel insurance for a trip to the UK that was supposed to happen a few weeks ago. We bought from AIG specifically because they said they would pay if your trip was cancelled due to covid. We were worried about covid and the new omicron variant. One of my kids who was traveling with me on the trip tested positive and got covid right before we were supposed to go. She was double vaccinated. She was sick for days and had to quarantine. She didn't see a doctor because they won't let you unless you're dying. In addition, you can't get on a plane, particularly one for an overseas trip if you test positive whether you're sick or not.

We cancelled the trip because we couldn't go anywhere. I filed a claim and supplied all of the information, including the positive covid test. We just received a letter back denying the claim because they said she wasn't sick. I'm going to fight this because it's ridiculous that having covid isn't being sick if don't have a letter from a doctor that says you can't travel. This company doesn't honor its policies. A complete waste of money. Don't buy from them. I'm sure their 5 star reviews are bots.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I called to cancelled my trip, they said they did and filed a claim for me. But they never cancelled my trip at spirit airline which I later found and never covered anything for my claim. Worst experience of insurance purchase.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

What is the point of this travel insurance policy since it doesn’t cover trip cancellation? They charged $1000 for insurance for family of 3. The cancellation would not cover waiting on negative COVID tests which take forever in London and the family is stuck in a hotel room waiting on COVID negative results and not able to see London. In anticipation of this, a cancellation was initiated by me. Travel Guard does not recognize this cancellation and rejected the claim. I strongly discourage people on Expedia and other travel sites to refrain from using AIG Travel Insurance. What a rip-off!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I purchased Travel Guard insurance through Expedia for my trip. Due to Covid and other issues, I had to cancel. As many customers have stated here, it was a complete waste of my time and money. I doubt that they pay out to any or very few people, even though insurance is purchased. What a racket. I would never bother with this again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Bought travel insurance from them. Placed a claim for an event that is listed under the coverage. It's been 3 months. I am unable to get any kind of info regarding the case. I am sent from one company to another (being from QC it seems they subcontract it to another company, Global Excel, that it was never mentioned when the insurance was bought), from one agent to another. Hours of waiting on the phone to get ahold of an agent and every agent is transferring me to another one, which leads only to more hours on the phone waiting...if I don't get simply cut off. I will never ever buy anything from AIG / Travel Guard again and strongly advise anybody to review their options before doing so. Tony

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Bought insurance for son's summer travel. On return home, his flights were either canceled or delayed. So severely that he was stuck in Chicago overnight (without any help from the airlines for a hotel voucher), and had to pay for his own meals and transportation to and from hotel/airport. My policy clearly states coverage is at 100% for delays or cancellations. I submitted all requested documents and screenshots of the airline notices pertaining to cancellations and delays and I'm STILL fighting to get answers from this insurance company about my refund. Travel was in August! Save your $ because this is a ripoff and you won't be protected anyway.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Delta Airlines canceled our flight to Roatan for no reason. I did get a 100% refund from them, but Travel Guard refused to refund my money! My brother was on the same flight, but used Allianz Travel Insurance. He was refunded 100% from Delta and Allianz. I will NEVER use Travel Guard again, and I'd encourage others to us Allianz.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

My flight for postponed due to COVID. Since the new tickets were more expensive they wanted me to pay an upcharge - I received this (I kid you not) 14 days after my initial email. I promptly responded that I would rather cancel the policy. *16 days later* they responded saying my request was denied as they require 15 days notice to cancel. I hope they enjoy my money, and they'll never again enjoy my business. This is without exaggeration the worst customer service I've ever received from any company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Our event was canceled because of Covid and we did not receive a refund. Every other airline, hotel and venue is working with people during this unprecedented time. For crying out loud this an INSURANCE company. It’s their job! Will never use again.

AIG Travel author review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor