Travel Guard

Travel Guard

3.8/5 (568 ratings)
Find a Travel Insurance partner

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

About Travel Guard

AIG Travel, Inc., a member of American International Group, Inc., is a worldwide leader in travel insurance and global assistance. Travel Guard® the marketing name for its portfolio of travel insurance and travel-related services, including medical and security services, marketed to both leisure and business travelers around the globe. Services are provided through a network of wholly owned service centers located in Asia, Europe and the Americas. For additional information, please visit our websites.

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

Travel Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Travel?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Booked a tour of Italy for May 2023 1 year in advance, purchased trip insurance thru Travel Guard at the same time in May 2022. In September, the tour company informs me of significant additional charges for traveling solo (over 2K more). I cancel the tour, get refunded most of the prepayment. I call to cancel the trip insurance and I’m informed I had To cancel within 15 days of the effective date of the policy. The trip is scheduled a year out, and a lot can happen during that time, what kind of unfair business practice only allows 15 days to get a refund? This insurance is a scam, do not purchase.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

My 19-year-old daughter who has an intellectual disability saved up her money from her job to fly to Florida and visit her cousin. Five days before the flight, her cousin was diagnosed with a malignant spinal cord neoplasm. Needless to say, my daughter wasn't able to go on her trip bc she had no one she could stay with. While I am not usually one who purchases travel insurance, I encouraged my daughter to just in case (it was only about $20 and she had worked so hard to save that money, you know?!). We sent in the medical documentation showing that it was a real diagnosis yet AIG is denying her claim. So now she is out not only the money she paid for her checked bag each way but also the seat reservation fee (since she was flying alone, having picked the seats helped her have less anxiety). If there was an option, I would upload both the email that AIG sent to us and my response back to them which I emailed shortly before writing this post.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

We insured a trip to Africa with this poor excuse of a company. Our daughter, who was living with us temporarily prior to a move, was diagnosed with cancer. The treating physician indicated that it was likely she would need chemotherapy after surgery. As the hospital is over a 90 minute drive from our home and the proposed therapy would be taking place while we were supposed to be on vacation, we obviously needed to cancel the trip and be available to take our daughter to any medical appointments. We advised AIG of the cancellation and provided all needed documents requested.

We are now over 3 months with no indication of any decision other than return emails that they have requested more information from the treating physician which is not true as we have spoken to him. I am also a physical and sent a very clear medical review of the situation. These pathetic charlatans continue to not honor the contract and return our funds. As there are literally dozens of travel insurance companies, I would advise utilizing any other one on the market rather than this dishonest entity.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Flight from Italy cancelled due to an unforeseen Air Traffic Controllers strike. I thought trip insurance was for unforeseen events. This is the second time "trip insurance" found a way to not pay this year. This industry should absolutely be investigated.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

This is a scam - they evade paying legitimate claims. Our flight was cancelled to start trip delaying our vacation by over a day. They refused to give us compensation for that. There was 1 hour and 50 minutes to make our connection, but their loophole was that the trip needed to allow 2 hours for a connection. If that is the case - why did they agree to insure the trip? They knew what the connections were when they took (stole) our money. Scam. Do not buy.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

I would like to alert people that Travel Guard cancels your policy the day after the flight takes place. Our event was canceled 10 days before we flew and I alerted them and their response was to CANCEL the policy. I tried several times to contact them and had over an hour calls with waits several times and the result was "Sorry, your policy is automatically canceled the day after the flight. There is n nothing we can do." I am an elderly woman, find filling out the online claim challenging, and received NO SUPPORT from their staff re telephone contacts. I would suggest avoiding this company. (You might want to look at Consumers Report list of the 10 airline insurance company they recommend.)

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Travel Guard is rated as the worst Travel insurance nationwide, they manipulate ignorant customers and scam additional fees on their United airlines tickets. They're managed by a unqualified managers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Travel Guard Insurance Canada (TGI) has willfully misguided public consumers (including me) with their insurance policy claims. TGI has failed to reimburse a basic COVID claim, following months of back and forth correspondence, as well as endless bureaucratic forms and customer service delays. This company clearly profiteers on their poor service model by manipulating claimants with endless run-arounds and intentionally convoluted legal jargon. This is a predatory firm and should be held accountable in a court of law.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I purchased AIG Hotel Booking Protection Plus for a hotel reservation in South Africa booked on Orbitz. The insurance policy said I should file a claim if delayed by a natural disaster that delays our travel by more than 5 hours. A storm that hit Dulles airport in July 2022 delayed our travel to South Africa by two days. Orbitz could not get our reservation fee reimbursed. AIG took weeks to respond to our claim, and then denied the claim. All attempts have failed to contact AIG by phone and email to follow up when at face value the policy should cover our extra expenses for the two day delay and cancellation. I would strongly discourage others from purchasing this insurance.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

On June 22, 2022 I accidentally left a smaller piece of luggage on a fast train traveling from Naples to Rome, Italy. I did not notice the missing bag until later that evening when getting ready for bed. The next day we traveled back to the USA. Upon returning home, I immediately gathered all necessary required documentation including train ticket receipt/ airline tickets/ clothing receipts/ AIG proof of insurance and started my claim. It is now Aug. 23, 2022 and as of yet I have not received any compensation for this claim.

AIG is now requesting proof that I submitted this claim to my private home owners insurance and will reconsider my claim with them based on their outcome after my deductible has been met with my private insurance. I have read my entire policy and this requirement is not posted in writing at all. They also are requiring a police report to process this claim. AIG / Travel Guard is a scam. I will only use Allianz proceeding forward.

AIG Travel author review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor