1.18/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

94 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was in need of emergency medical assistance for a sprained knee in Israel... total amount was $204 USD. I submitted to AIG, was told to submit to my US insurance company. AIG knows that neither Medicare nor supplemental covers overseas medical care - that's why we (have to) buy the travel insurance. 3 times I wrote back with this information; AIG responded with "Sometimes supplemental will pay overseas claims." NOT! After everyone's time is wasted by my submitting to Medicare and Blue Shield, AIG will have to pay. They just string you along hoping you will not take the time to follow up. Sorry AIG, this time you are messing with the wrong sister! I will not use AIG again.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Will take care of you while in the hospital but will not reimburse when it comes time to pay up on airfare. Flew my fiance over to be by my side and paid my hospital bill but as I already had a ticket to return home when I was well I bought her ticket for much less than the original ticket through AIG. Will not reimburse even though they didn't have to pay my ticket, didn't have to pay food, didn't have to pay anything else. All I asked was for the flight back to be reimbursed. NOPE! They were just going to leave my fiance over there. Good job sticking your clients with the bill, AIG!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 13, 2018

Do not purchase AIG Travel Insurance. I booked a flight on Travelocity, and purchased the travel cancellation insurance knowing there was a chance I wouldn't be able to make my trip. I did have to cancel, and Travelocity did not refund my money, but gave me some sort of travel credit that I will never be able to use! I called AIG to file a claim and get my refund, and they told me I had to file my claim online. The representative was unhelpful. After explaining my situation, he pretty much told me that I am out $650! I will never use Travelocity to book travel any longer, and I will boycott every AIG insurance or financial services product they offer!

Original review: July 9, 2018

Rip-off company. I travel every year to Europe with my family and always get travel insurance because I have Pacemaker/Defibrillator. This year I got 2 tickets to Europe for June 3 2018 for $ 2300.00. In May I had heart problems had to have heart surgery and could not go. I submitted my paperwork to AIG with the operation report and a CD. I was then informed they wanted it in longhand. I went back to my Cardiologist and he did it. After sending this in I was informed by AIG that they don't cover pre-existing conditions. What a joke of a company.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Recently the International Airline changed our departure flight to another day. When I called to modify the coverage I was informed that I had to buy another policy since their policy does not allow for flight changes not under the specific guidelines. Such as Airlines combining two flights into one due to low passenger turnout. What a scam. I did not cause any action on this so why am I penalized? Really be careful about taking out any insurance, especially from this company, if you book your flight well in advance because any time the airline changes one segment it would require that you purchase a completely new policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?

Original review: July 3, 2018

Unfortunately due to a job loss I had to cancel a trip but luckily had pre-purchased trip insurance. My insurance agent granted my claim after a month of back and forth and sending every document and letter I possibly could, only for him to send my check to a random address across the country. Upon contacting him and him saying he sent a "correct" check to my address that has been on every form I've sent thus far, the check arrived STILL with the incorrect address from across the country.

After speaking with him he now says my claims cannot be processed until further proof of my no longer having a job and despite speaking with numerous people from that specific business regarding my employment and the correct manager to address, he continues to make excuses as to why he cannot process my claim. It has been almost 4 months now and I am still going back and forth. This has completely defeated the purpose of getting the insurance in the first place and to be honest I don't know how this man still has a job.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I booked a flight for my family leaving Managua Nicaragua because the government was/is killing its citizens and any persons speaking against. I called AIG to ask IF I purchased a travel policy with my situation, would I get a refund. The US Embassy put out an email saying not to travel on my date because there would most likely be violent protest and counter violence by the National Police. I filed my claim and was denied. The reason for denial was that the US doesn't consider the airport closing as "Terrorist Activity." Even though more than one reason was met according to the DOC all reasons deemed denied. This refund money would have gone to buy food for Nicaraguans in dire need. AIG has stolen our money and therefore taken food from the needy.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I purchased travel for my son as he was returning to college. Two days prior to the trip he became ill with the flu. Based on a fever, chills, and cough he was advised not to travel. As a result, he did not fly. I was not worried as the doctor provided us with a medical note. I was informed by AIG that the note was not sufficient and they would need the doctor to complete a lengthy questionnaire and they also would need access to his medical records. What!!! The majority of colds and the flu are treated via the phone and advice nurse. Additionally, the note has been verified as authentic and you need access to his private medical records. The service is a complete ripoff! Don't waste your money!

Original review: June 27, 2018

You purchase travel insurance in the hopes that if something out of your control were to happen, that you would be provided for. I purchased Travel Guard through Expedia for a flight in 3 weeks. My grand-dad fell extremely ill, and I needed to cancel my flight. Even though he is considered "immediate" family, they are unable to insure me because he is not flying with me. This is a complete rip-off. You still have to pay cancellation fees with the airline, they protect you from NOTHING. Save your money.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This company sells you travel insurance. However this will NOT pay you for cancelled trips. They offer nothing more than you already get for free from airlines, etc which is basically nothing. I had a cancelled trip, in advance, out of my control, and they would not cover it. I made several attempts and they gave me the same stipulations and lack of coverage as the airline and rental car agency did when contacting them direct. They are thieves who provide no real coverage.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought the travel insurance from Travel Guard for a flight to Germany for last March. Because of an illness in the family and they were expected to go home so I wanted to change my flight to later date, which I did change and was charged $300 to change flight and the so called insurance would not refund my money without the Dr in Germany filling out several pages on this patient. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 26, 2018

We had a group of 11 family members from 3 different states going on a cruise. My brother-in-law became very ill and was placed in ICU and was not expected to make it. Our family decided to cancel the cruise even if we lost our money. Before filing the claim, I read these reviews and was a little nervous until I noticed that most of the complaints are about things that are not covered. A life threatening illness of an immediate family member was the reason our claim was filed. The list of immediate family members included was greater than I thought it would be, nieces, nephews, in-laws, immediate family member of a travel companion, were all included. Every single member of our party qualified.

There was a good bit of paperwork to complete, including the doctor's form saying that it was a life threatening illness. However, I am happy to report that we were all refunded our complete purchase prices. Anyone I spoke to at Travel Guard was extremely courteous and helpful. The only money we were out was the cost of the insurance. My suggestion is to read the policy before you purchase it. Make sure you know what you are buying. It's like any other insurance, some things are covered and some things are not. Thankfully, we were in the covered category.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased this, indeed I have done so many times before, when purchasing a ticket on Expedia. Due to an acute illness, I could not catch the scheduled flight. By the time that I would have been able to see a physician, the symptoms had abated. In order to provide Travel Guard/AIG with medical documentation, I would have had to require my family physician to commit fraud.

Their email reply contains the sentence: “Sickness” means an illness or disease diagnosed or treated by a Physician. For most acute conditions this is not possible, especially when one is located in circumstances where immediate visits to physicians are not possible. Note that their ad on Expedia includes the following: Get up to 100% flight refund if you're sick and can't travel. This is useless for most illnesses, because for most illnesses there is no need for diagnosis or treatment by a physician. And, even if one were able to immediately seek diagnosis or treatment, in the US costs tend to be prohibitive for most conditions.

So my advice to those of you who use Expedia to book your tickets, do not waste $35 USD on the purchase of their "Total Protection Plan", as it is just a scam whereby they can accumulate large numbers of small purchases and actually deliver payment on an infinitesimally small number. Caveat Emptor: My advice to anyone who sees this on Expedia: "Protect your flight Recommended Avoid change fees. Protect your trip. Required Total Protection Plan. Top 3 benefits of travel protection. Get up to: 100% flight refund if you're sick and can't travel. $1,000 for lost baggage, including laptop, phone or camera. $15,000 for emergency medical transportation." Ignore this. It is a scam. It is specifically designed to increase their income by deception. Never, under any circumstances, give them even one dollar of your money.

Original review: June 22, 2018

This insurance (run by AIG) is a total scam. We purchased it with our trip through Travelocity recently and were prodded to buy it, mentioning that we would receive "peace of mind" and "protection" for any unforeseen events. We were flying to see a friend with terminal cancer. Days before our flight departed, he died. We did not make the trip out and filed this insurance claim, filling out the extensive paperwork, including copies of the obituary. Within one week it was denied; they said something about it not qualifying because it wasn't "immediate family".

Garbage policy. Will not give you peace of mind. I would always opt not to get this; it's just a waste of $50-odd dollars. Also, the flights that we ended up not taking; I called them and they gave us a travel credit (to be used in the future) anyway. Even better, the hotels and rental car refunded us completely since we called them right away and had not yet used the services. Stay away from Travelgard AIG insurance. SCAM!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased this travel insurance through Expedia. The ad stated: "3 reasons you may need to cancel" and listed "work obligations" as one of the 3 reasons. This is false, when I called to cancel due to work obligations, I was told I was ineligible for a refund. This company uses false advertising to collect major profits at the expense of their customers. I'm very disappointed and will be sure to let all of my followers know. Furthermore, I will never use this company again for personal or work transactions.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I am not surprised to see NOTHING but a sea of one star reviews. This insurance company is the ultimate bait-and-switch. I called them prior to making any changes and was told the claim would be covered if I provided 3 documents (of their choosing) which I did. Made my change and PAID for the change of $157 and per them once the travel was completed submitted the claim with the documentation they asked me for. CLAIM DENIED. No phone call. No questions asked just CLAIM DENIED. I let a supervisor know exactly what happened and what their employee told me so they are supposedly now in the process of pulling the recording. Not holding my breath. ** company. Save your $25!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

DO NOT DO IT!!! Their cancellation requirements are UNBELIEVABLE! My friend, who I was traveling to visit died. I am not a family member, so I really do not have access to her death certificate. That is required, along with the cause and date of death, to complete the claim. It is a total waste of money. Their main objective is to take your money and never give it back.

Original review: June 7, 2018

AIG insurance is a waste of money! I purchased the insurance because during the process of buying my flight on Expedia.com the insurance was offered and appeared to be very easy to use in the event cancellation was needed. I ended up having to work and called to cancel my flight as instructed by the Expedia agent. They then instructed me to file my claim through AIG. AIG denied my claim because it didn’t meet their standards for claim (basically death in the family or illness by hospitalization). Why would I even purchase this insurance if that’s what I needed?

Every airline has its own policies about working with and assisting customers when those situations arise, I needed something to allow me to change flights or cancel in the event of an emergency trip. I had to change my travel plans for a work related trip that was court subpoena. I want my money back for the insurance and my plane ticket. This company is deceitful and misleading, no wonder they have a 1 star rating on Consumer Affairs.

Original review: June 6, 2018

What a waste of money!!! I had to cancel a flight and hotel due to a mechanical issue with a truck I was to deliver to Florida that broke down in Georgia. I tried canceling the hotel Sleep Inn & Suites Wildwood, FL and no one would even answer the phone. I left a voicemail asking for a callback, no callback. Really poor customer service. Then I contacted Spirit Airlines to cancel the flight and was told to submit a claim with AIG as I have travel insurance. Because I booked through Travelocity, AIG wouldn't help, told me to go directly to Travelocity. After 1 hour on the phone, they said no refund and to contact AIG directly. AIG - said NO REFUND as well. BOTH COMPANIES ARE WORTHLESS AND I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN.

Original review: June 3, 2018

My daughter purchased travel insurance for two airline tickets. Her husband couldn't travel because of work obligations. She submits the tickets for refund, Emirates airline advised that we communicate with AIG for any questions. AIG denied the refund even though one of the reasons a customer can choose was a work reason. And it was a very legit reason.

A customer chooses travel insurance and pays for it, and AIG denies it. Why does an Insurance company offer insurance and knowingly plans to deny it. Basically, the whole business of obtaining travel insurance is shrouded with lies, deception, and to say the least, it is no different than a legal scam. A customer buys travels insurance in case he or she cannot travel, and AIG denies.

Amazing deceptive marketing. In short, we gave Emirate airline and AIG $2600.00 of our hard earned money, and that it from the goodness of our hearts. I am truly amazed how an insurance company can SCAM people and they can get away with it. If a consumer does that, he/she will be behind bars. Unfortunately, as a consumer, I don't have much recourse. lawyers, courts, etc... it will cost more to follow up legally. At the end, big companies are too big to fail!

Original review: May 29, 2018

Absolutely worst insurance I have ever purchased! Would have rated 0 stars if possible! They would make every insurance claiming process extremely difficult and at the end of the day they will never approve whatever your claim is. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THIS GARBAGE PRODUCT AND COMPANY!

Original review: May 28, 2018

My best friend's mother was going into hospice the day before my flight. I was going to visit my best friend and we had plans to spend the weekend together. When she found out unexpectedly that her mom was compensating and was being transferred to hospice care, she booked her flight to go see her mom and I cancelled mine (knowing that I bought insurance). I spoke to a representative from Travel Guard on the phone and they stated it met the qualifications. Now, I am being told after providing the death certificate (as her mom actually passed when I would have been at my friend's house), that because I was visiting her, she does not count as my travel companion. She would only be my travel companion if she were flying there as well?!?! They are not refunding my ticket or even booking me a new flight to go see her. This is a horrible way to treat someone who is dealing with such a difficult situation. SICKENING!

Original review: May 25, 2018

This is totally scam fraud... you won't get anything. I purchase 100% coverage ending up with nothing. Claim denied. Only cover in case of death so I have to die to get trip cancellation covered. This scam company need to be closed down. Our government let scammers running businesses like this. Shame on you. 5 stars. Fake reviews won't help you. Going viral with this till you close down.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I bought a policy and wanted to cancel it within a few days. I was told I cannot unless I go through Expedia! Really? I am on the phone with Travel Guard with my confirmation email and I'm told to go back to Expedia to cancel an insurance policy. Something smells.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Report your grievances to the Dept. of Insurance for whatever state the adjuster is working out of and the adjuster's company is located. I purchased this AIG Travel which I purchased thru Expedia. This was my first time purchasing this insurance but had used other travel insurance companies in the past that were great. I bought this thru Expedia because it was convenient, but I came to regret it. I feel Expedia needs to do better as well vetting the products that they allow to be sold on their site.

My mother went into the hospital prior to my trip and was so sick she subsequently had to go to Hospice and died on 03.15.2018. This company didn't care. They were SO very busy trying to deny this claim for preexisting conditions and kept asking for what they know was HIPPA PROTECTED MEDICAL INFO. No sympathy so while I'm dealing with everything that goes along with someone dying on top of the fact that I was This Wonderful Person My Mom's caregiver NOT POA this so called company is requesting Physician's forms and medical records from a non insured person.

If that is their gimmick then that should be plainly stated when buying: "We deny for preexisting medical conditions," versus, "We cover illness for family including parents." They had the right one this time. I filed a complaint with the WI OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF INSURANCE (OCI) or this state's version of Dept. of Insurance (DOI). My claim was paid and this is what I would recommend to anyone. This company has a pattern of doing business and handling claims that is questionable to say the least.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I booked a flight through Expedia and purchased the "Travel Guard" policy because I knew it was possible I would need to cancel this flight plan. When they say, "... for whatever reason..." DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! I called and tried to do the 'honorable' thing as soon as I knew my situation. Not having to deal with this situation before, my first question was "Where do I start?" Through option offering it was suggested I first cancel the Travel Guard policy while we are on the phone together, then I was to call Expedia to cancel the flight through Expedia - "... we can't do that for you here..." So I contact Expedia next... Nope, nothing applies... It's cancel completely and lose all money or take a credit OR just don't show up and then file a claim (of which I'm sure these phone notes would be a rash on their screen for approval and I would be denied).

Ok so before doing that I call back to AIG to "reverse" that which they recommended and did 45 minutes ago... NOPE! "Cannot reverse and re-instate policy. AND BTW: your reason for canceling is invalid for compensation." WTF??! So now I'm out $657.00 for flight PLUS whatever the car rental is going to screw me for! WHY do we always have to do things illegitimately (LIE about it) then file for claim??! And we wonder WHY there is no accountability in Corporate America or Politics!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I’ve purchased Travel Guard thru Expedia. For $100, I will have insurance, just in case I needed to cancel for any reason...I would get my full refund - SO THEY PROMISED!! So my mom passed away 5 days before my trip. I called to cancel my trip and the person I spoke to on the phone gave me an email address to send my “explanation of Reasoning for this cancellation.” So I tried that email and it was incorrect! So Second phone call I made, I Complain that they had given me a wrong email address so the lady on the phone gave me a different email address where I can send my complaint to. I tried that email address and Again...that was incorrect!

So now I called back for the 3rd time and they gave me a different email address. So I sent in my docs verifying why I had to cancel. I sent in my moms death certificate and the purchase flight itinerary. I waited and waited for 2 weeks for a response. No response! So now this is my 4th time calling them back! Spoke to a gentleman on the phone and he said the email address I sent it to was “INCORRECT.” Shocker!!! He then asked me information to start a claim because apparently the last 3 phone call...no representative had asked or suggested to start a claim for me. But had given me all false email addresses, and didn’t care enough to file a claim for me! It literally took me 4 phone calls, lots of headaches to try to get someone who knows what they're doing!

So basically after the last 4th call, they send me forms after forms to fill out to file for a refund/credit. I said screw this, I’m tired dealing with this false company! So I went directly to Delta Air -again...and threatened them because this is ludicrous and they finally gave me a refund (flight credits) to. Never will I purchase travel insurance thru a third party nor would I book thru Delta again!

Original review: April 30, 2018

This plan was offered to me through ORBITZ. I know $23.00 for a Cancellation Plan doesn't sound like much, but times that by all the suckers these bandits rob every day with no plans on reimbursing and you'll know what kind of a scam they're running. First jump through all the silly hoops to start your claim, then wait for them to examine it, then, drum roll please... denied. Do yourself a favor and purchase a ticket that allows you to cancel, it's a little more but the rewards are no frustration or disappointment, and now you can take that 23 bucks and have some lunch, or a couple of drinks!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I booked a hotel through Expedia and saw this ad from Travel Guard claiming that it protect against any last minutes cancellation. Since I was not certain that I can 100% make the trip, I bought the policy. Later on, I had to cancel the trip due to work requirement. When I file the claim, they quickly rejected my claim by saying that they only pay if I was sick or I was going to be fired. When I pointed to them that their ad claiming that they protect against any last minutes cancellation, they bring up the fine print which nobody will ever read. What's a scam.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Do not take travel insurance with Travel Guard. I took out insurance for a flight. I never received a policy with them. They have a "pre-existing condition" clause. Basically unless you are a perfectly healthy person you will never get reimbursed. I took out the insurance on March 8, 2018. At that time my husband was in good condition. He developed an ulcer on his toe which ended up gangrene and it was amputated on March 27, 2018. The flight was scheduled for April 15, 2018. I canceled the trip on March 27, 2018.

They sent me numerous forms to be filled out by the doctor. It was rejected because he had diabetes which caused the ulcer. I tried to explain to them that I wouldn't have booked the trip on March 8 if he wasn't able to go. They won't even listen to you - they just keep repeating - "policy says does not cover pre-existing condition." I will never deal with Travel Guard again. In the future - if travel insurance is offered - I will read the policy and I will also read any reviews. I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing the policy - I would have realized that Travel Guard never pays out on claims.

Travel Guard expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky