Find a Travel Insurance partner

Travel Guard

Travel Guard

3.5/5 (236 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About Travel Guard

AIG Travel, Inc., a member of American International Group, Inc., is a worldwide leader in travel insurance and global assistance. Travel Guard® the marketing name for its portfolio of travel insurance and travel-related services, including medical and security services, marketed to both leisure and business travelers around the globe. Services are provided through a network of wholly owned service centers located in Asia, Europe and the Americas. For additional information, please visit our websites.

Travel Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Travel?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

We have purchased a travel insurance while buying a ticket from Expedia that was labeled 100% cancelations fees refund. For some government unexpected rules our boarding was denied and they did not pay.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I wish that I had read the reviews from others before paying $19.00 for this insurance. It is nothing but another profit making scam for AIG and Travelocity or any of the other travel companies. I ended up with a travel voucher from the airline which I could have received without the insurance. The insurance leads you to believe that illness of a family member not involved in your flight can be a reason to cancel flight. To provide detailed medical/health information is required to file a claim and that is against patient privacy concerns. With the push of a key you can purchase this insurance but trying to file a claim is a major under-taking. I sincerely recommend that you contact the airline about their cancellation policy before buying this insurance.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I bought insurance for a trip to the Santa Barbara, CA area. We are two retired school teachers living on a retirement income. MY claim was for around 1400.00. Two or three days before the trip I hurt my feet with a first degree burn and had doctor documentation stating so. I submitted everything required and they said I didn't. I redid it again. Now today they say that I have no claim. MY feet were was burnt that I could not walk for three days and even now after a couple of weeks it is extremely hard to walk. This was a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. They said I had to be hurt while on the trip. So think about this. If you are in the hospital with a heart attack and can't go they will not pay you on this policy.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I was exposed to Covid-19 and became too ill to travel and definitely could not expose myself to other, so we had to cancel our trip to Texas for a wedding. The online claim form is long until you get close to the end, then it becomes a pain in the rear! You are expected to download a doctor's report, forms showing the costs you paid (OK), forms to show cancellation and any credits you may receive (OK) and then a description of reasons for cancellation (repetitive). I get everything ready to download to start my claim and receive a message that my files are over 2Mb and cannot be downloaded! Everything was for nothing! If you cannot download the forms, you cannot go any farther and you cannot file a claim. Tried calling but of course no answer or any help. This process is onerous and it is done by them on purpose to avoid having to pay! Stay Away!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

On 7/2/21, I purchased a travel policy from them for a trip that I purchased from Costco to travel on 8/17/21. I wanted to increase my coverage and started calling them the last week in July. I tried multiple times on multiple numbers, each time holding between 30 minutes and 1 hour. No one ever answered the phone. Finally, on 8/8, I called the emergency number and someone did answer but they could not be of assistance. I emailed them at that time and although it was past the 15 days examination period, I wanted my money back. I could not imagine needing that insurance while I was out of the country and no one will answer the phone.

On 8/22/21, they finally responded by email stating that they would not give refund only a voucher for further travel as it was not within their 15 day policy. I'm not sure if I will use it as I would never feel comfortable leaving the country with that insurance. The auto reply said someone will get back to me in 10-15 days. I am hoping that Costco will consider referring to a more reputable company so future customers don't run into this problem.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Purchases a ticket via Spirit Airline with Insurance, did NOT received confirmation email attempted to search for my via confirmation # given, response "OOOps something went wrong with your search." Got the same response multiple times for a week, My family had decided they may cancel the family get together because of the uptick in covid cases in Florida, however where we had planned to stay was pretty safe, while again attempted to confirm my flight with Spirit response again was "OOOps something went wrong no information found," called spirit, they were unable to confirm my flight,

I went and purchase another ticket via Klarna double the price on the same day as my flight with Spirit that could not be confirmed, Now finally shortly before my departure I received confirmation from Spirit, I had bought the AIG insurance...CLAIMED DENIED so I paid for the Insurance now stuck with Spirit Ticket and also had to pay for another ticket with United Airline...Keep your money and Keep away from these crooked people.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I read the contract, thought I was protected, but my wife had a medical emergency and we had to cancel. We filed a claim with a letter from her doctor and they still denied us. Might as well light your money on fire if you opt for it. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Before purchasing this travel insurance and carefully reading their 16 page cancelation and refund policy I thought that it would help me protect my trip and recover any money spent if I needed to cancel my flight to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control as they had advertised. When something came up and I had to cancel my trip due to medical reasons I filed a claim online. I called them later that week. Waited on hold for over an hour, when someone finally did answer the phone they asked for all of my information and before I could even ask I single question related to my claim they hung up.

A few days later I received a very generic email saying my claim was denied because "there is no coverage under the claim presented". There was no reference document with examples of what is covered and what is not or explanation as to why it was not covered. I remember while reading their policy that medical reasons for needing to cancel was valid and within their terms of coverage and entitled to a refund. I reached out to my travel provider and they were able to return my money with no help from AIG.

Dealing with these people has been a nightmare. They can make up any excuse to deny you coverage and provide no supporting evidence that your situation is not part of their policy. I will never be purchasing this travel insurance again. These people are lazy, unwilling, and unmotivated to help anyone. You are better off trying to obtain a refund from your travel provider yourself or reaching out to your credit card company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I purchased the insurance when I was buying tickets from Cheaptickets as my travel date was in 4 months. As COVID is increasing and we got health news that we might be at risk. I called them to see if I could cancel the flight and all they could do was read me back the policy and ask me to first cancel the flights and wait for them to review it. I should have read the reviews before getting the insurance. In addition to the flight cost, I wasted this insurance cost as well. Please be aware of the trap.

Original review: July 29, 2021

SCAMMERRRRSSSS! Even if you are well within your legal rights to be approved for a claim they will try to make you jump through so many hoops with bogus document requests, until the time to process your claim passes and then they can automatically deny you. Do yourself a favor. Don’t do business with this company! On any level, I did further research and found out people they are even making people with legitimate death claims suffer!

AIG Travel author review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor