1.23/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for travel insurance?

Last updated: May 25, 2018

72 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

This is totally scam fraud... you won't get anything. I purchase 100% coverage ending up with nothing. Claim denied. Only cover in case of death so I have to die to get trip cancellation covered. This scam company need to be closed down. Our government let scammers running businesses like this. Shame on you. 5 stars. Fake reviews won't help you. Going viral with this till you close down.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I bought a policy and wanted to cancel it within a few days. I was told I cannot unless I go through Expedia! Really? I am on the phone with Travel Guard with my confirmation email and I'm told to go back to Expedia to cancel an insurance policy. Something smells.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Report your grievances to the Dept. of Insurance for whatever state the adjuster is working out of and the adjuster's company is located. I purchased this AIG Travel which I purchased thru Expedia. This was my first time purchasing this insurance but had used other travel insurance companies in the past that were great. I bought this thru Expedia because it was convenient, but I came to regret it. I feel Expedia needs to do better as well vetting the products that they allow to be sold on their site.

My mother went into the hospital prior to my trip and was so sick she subsequently had to go to Hospice and died on 03.15.2018. This company didn't care. They were SO very busy trying to deny this claim for preexisting conditions and kept asking for what they know was HIPPA PROTECTED MEDICAL INFO. No sympathy so while I'm dealing with everything that goes along with someone dying on top of the fact that I was This Wonderful Person My Mom's caregiver NOT POA this so called company is requesting Physician's forms and medical records from a non insured person.

If that is their gimmick then that should be plainly stated when buying: "We deny for preexisting medical conditions," versus, "We cover illness for family including parents." They had the right one this time. I filed a complaint with the WI OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF INSURANCE (OCI) or this state's version of Dept. of Insurance (DOI). My claim was paid and this is what I would recommend to anyone. This company has a pattern of doing business and handling claims that is questionable to say the least.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I booked a flight through Expedia and purchased the "Travel Guard" policy because I knew it was possible I would need to cancel this flight plan. When they say, "... for whatever reason..." DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! I called and tried to do the 'honorable' thing as soon as I knew my situation. Not having to deal with this situation before, my first question was "Where do I start?" Through option offering it was suggested I first cancel the Travel Guard policy while we are on the phone together, then I was to call Expedia to cancel the flight through Expedia - "... we can't do that for you here..." So I contact Expedia next... Nope, nothing applies... It's cancel completely and lose all money or take a credit OR just don't show up and then file a claim (of which I'm sure these phone notes would be a rash on their screen for approval and I would be denied).

Ok so before doing that I call back to AIG to "reverse" that which they recommended and did 45 minutes ago... NOPE! "Cannot reverse and re-instate policy. AND BTW: your reason for canceling is invalid for compensation." WTF??! So now I'm out $657.00 for flight PLUS whatever the car rental is going to screw me for! WHY do we always have to do things illegitimately (LIE about it) then file for claim??! And we wonder WHY there is no accountability in Corporate America or Politics!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I’ve purchased Travel Guard thru Expedia. For $100, I will have insurance, just in case I needed to cancel for any reason...I would get my full refund - SO THEY PROMISED!! So my mom passed away 5 days before my trip. I called to cancel my trip and the person I spoke to on the phone gave me an email address to send my “explanation of Reasoning for this cancellation.” So I tried that email and it was incorrect! So Second phone call I made, I Complain that they had given me a wrong email address so the lady on the phone gave me a different email address where I can send my complaint to. I tried that email address and Again...that was incorrect!

So now I called back for the 3rd time and they gave me a different email address. So I sent in my docs verifying why I had to cancel. I sent in my moms death certificate and the purchase flight itinerary. I waited and waited for 2 weeks for a response. No response! So now this is my 4th time calling them back! Spoke to a gentleman on the phone and he said the email address I sent it to was “INCORRECT.” Shocker!!! He then asked me information to start a claim because apparently the last 3 phone call...no representative had asked or suggested to start a claim for me. But had given me all false email addresses, and didn’t care enough to file a claim for me! It literally took me 4 phone calls, lots of headaches to try to get someone who knows what they're doing!

So basically after the last 4th call, they send me forms after forms to fill out to file for a refund/credit. I said screw this, I’m tired dealing with this false company! So I went directly to Delta Air -again...and threatened them because this is ludicrous and they finally gave me a refund (flight credits) to. Never will I purchase travel insurance thru a third party nor would I book thru Delta again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travel Guard?

Original review: April 30, 2018

This plan was offered to me through ORBITZ. I know $23.00 for a Cancellation Plan doesn't sound like much, but times that by all the suckers these bandits rob every day with no plans on reimbursing and you'll know what kind of a scam they're running. First jump through all the silly hoops to start your claim, then wait for them to examine it, then, drum roll please... denied. Do yourself a favor and purchase a ticket that allows you to cancel, it's a little more but the rewards are no frustration or disappointment, and now you can take that 23 bucks and have some lunch, or a couple of drinks!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I booked a hotel through Expedia and saw this ad from Travel Guard claiming that it protect against any last minutes cancellation. Since I was not certain that I can 100% make the trip, I bought the policy. Later on, I had to cancel the trip due to work requirement. When I file the claim, they quickly rejected my claim by saying that they only pay if I was sick or I was going to be fired. When I pointed to them that their ad claiming that they protect against any last minutes cancellation, they bring up the fine print which nobody will ever read. What's a scam.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Do not take travel insurance with Travel Guard. I took out insurance for a flight. I never received a policy with them. They have a "pre-existing condition" clause. Basically unless you are a perfectly healthy person you will never get reimbursed. I took out the insurance on March 8, 2018. At that time my husband was in good condition. He developed an ulcer on his toe which ended up gangrene and it was amputated on March 27, 2018. The flight was scheduled for April 15, 2018. I canceled the trip on March 27, 2018.

They sent me numerous forms to be filled out by the doctor. It was rejected because he had diabetes which caused the ulcer. I tried to explain to them that I wouldn't have booked the trip on March 8 if he wasn't able to go. They won't even listen to you - they just keep repeating - "policy says does not cover pre-existing condition." I will never deal with Travel Guard again. In the future - if travel insurance is offered - I will read the policy and I will also read any reviews. I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing the policy - I would have realized that Travel Guard never pays out on claims.

Original review: April 23, 2018

When the insurance is offered on Expedia - no terms or restrictions are even provided. However, right on the home page of the website is specifically states you can count on them even if you need to cancel due to work reasons. We had to cancel as we own our business and it's caring for LIVE ANIMALS and lost much staff and could not leave them unattended. They denied the claim stating cancelling due to work is not covered. I am attaching a pic of the website indicating we can count on them - even due to cancelling for work issues. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I purchased the TOTAL Protection Plan. The plan clearly states that if the insured cancels the trip they will be reimbursed. It does go on to say "OR" if unable to continue a trip due to illness... It does not say "If the insured cancels the trip AND/OR is not able to continue due to illness..." I understood that if I cancelled the trip I would be refunded. If I used the ticket and was "UNable to continue due to medical issues I would get my money back also". They denied my claim. And they sent me a website to back it up...that said "Satisfaction Guaranteed". This company sells insurance under the term "TOTAL Protection" when it is actually bogus statement to instill false security and steal your money!

Original review: April 17, 2018

To anyone wondering if trip insurance is worth it. From my experience ABSOLUTELY not! I purchased it in January 2018, in February 2018 I discovered a medical reason why I 100% would not be able to travel. I provided my medical records and a Dr. note stating I would not be able to travel during my scheduled trip and I was denied a refund. I lost my tickets and all my money because the only thing AIG covers is death. Do not waste your money on AIG/Travel Guard Insurance!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Don't let the name Travel Guard fool you. This insurance is not designed to protect you but rather it's designed to prevent you from receiving any kind of compensation from a change of plans in regard to your travel. I bought ticket from 3 different airlines and 2 different hotels. I got travel protection for them all. It was only the Travel Guard insurance that would not let me collect for my change of plans. I learned my lesson, and hopefully this review will prevent you from the pain that I experienced. People get insurance for a reason.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I would give this company 0 stars if I could. They take forever to get back to you about a claim that you filed, and when they do get back to you they decide they can't cover you. I got insurance so I would have a fallback plan if anything happened. There is very few things they will cover and within that group you have to meet specific requirements that no one will meet. I will NEVER use them again. Their whole company is a JOKE.

Original review: April 6, 2018

March 13 18 - I purchased travel insurance for air and hotel for April 1st thru the 4th. The insurance was from Expedia to Travel Guard to AIG. Because of the reported weather condition expected at the time of the visit, I cancelled the trip. I reported on my claim that due to the expected rain and wind, and that my daughter had a severe cold it was not a good time for the trip. I cancelled the airplane, the hotel did not allow cancellation or changes. My reason on the cancellation/refund form was due to the weather. I recently received a request for medical form to be completed by my doctor. What, for bad weather...If AIG does not allow weather as a reason for a cancellation why is it stated on the form reason for cancellation.

Original review: March 31, 2018

We purchased 2 Mountain Collective ski passes with travel insurance for the 2017-18 season. This pass gave us 32 days at multiple resorts that could be used throughout the ski season without restrictions. On 2/23 my husband suffered a serious accident which fractured his tibia in multiple places, ending our ski season. Because trip interruption was covered we immediately contacted AIG and provided detailed documentation from the surgeon, receipts for the purchase and proof of the actual number of ski days we were able to use. AIG refused to coordinate with Liftopia, the entity that had processed the purchase. Hence, we were not compensated for the unused 29 days remaining on the pass and received only a tiny fraction of the reimbursement we were due. The customer service was appalling, the marketing not just lacking transparency but downright deceptive. We will never do business with AIG, Liftopia or the Mountain Collective again!

Original review: March 31, 2018

We had items stolen from our baggage after it was lost by the airline on the way from Canada to Miami. We were on a cruise and only got our lost bag back three days into the cruise in Mexico. After we left Mexico we suspected some items were missing (too late to file a Police Report) and only confirmed the items were missing when we got home to Canada. (Canadian police would not file a report as the items were not lost in Canada). Travel Guard denied our claim for theft because we did not file a police report. Our claim was for very little more than our premium. Do not expect this company to show any tolerance or give you a fair deal.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I would award AIG Travel Guard zero stars if possible. The absolute worse! Purchased full travel insurance through Expedia three months prior to a trip to Mexico. When you purchase the plan, you are not provided with the terms of coverage; only promises of full coverage for trip cancellation, interruption, etc... As luck would have it, our return flight to New England was cancelled due to a Nor'easter which had shut down all the airports. Consequently, we had to pay for additional nights of lodging, which isn't cheap during the spring break season. Our claim for expenses incurred as a result of this interruption was denied by AIG because "cancellations due to weather" are not covered. Their advertising is deceptive and misleading, at best.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased Total Protection insurance when I booked my trip Jan 7. Travel to be March 3-11 to Bonaire. Baggage did not arrive until the night before our departure back to AZ! For 7 out of 8 days, had no luggage, no dive gear, nothing! United Airlines decided to keep the baggage in Newark instead of sending it on the next flight! According to the Total Protection plan, lost/delayed baggage is covered. When I submitted my claim, however, apparently I am supposed to submit a claim first through my Renters/Homeowner's policy! What? Where does it state that in the policy? My Homeowner's policy deductible is $1500 -- so I am out of pocket the first $1500 -- which is more than my claim with AIG!

They will not pay my claim, although the policy states Total Protection covers our exact situation. I asked where it states the travel insurance plan is a "secondary" plan and that I am required to first file a claim with my renter's/homeowner's policy? Nowhere in the policy fine print does it state that as a requirement! They are quick to take the funds out of my account, but now that I have a legitimate claim, they have many hoops to jump -- many not even listed in their policies for filing a claim! I am very dissatisfied with this company - and will go forward filing a claim to the BBB and travel insurance company oversight company. This company seems to be a ripoff. I would not recommend this company! Stay away! Save your money -- they operate using unfair business practices!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I purchased the cancellation insurance for my 5 family members and fell ill beforehand. Starting the claim was easy, I got my doctor to fill out the proper paperwork they required and received an approval in a few weeks and my cheque soon after. I would recommend.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I purchased this plan when buying tickets to visit my Aunt in FL. We ended up having to cancel due to her condo flooding with sewer water and becoming uninhabitable. I went and canceled my flight tickets, because I couldn't file a claim till this was done. It took over a week for the claim to reviewed. Finally they told me that "Cancellations due to the lodging being damaged at your destination are not covered under this plan." ARE YOU KIDDING ME! This is exactly why you purchase this type of insurance. Such a scam, don't purchase!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Knowing my trip had a possibility of changing dates I decided to buy the insurance that was offered by AIG Travel Guard through United Airlines. 24 - 48 hours later I was notified that the policy was denied due to incorrect credit card info. (any site I've ever been to alerts you immediately that there is a credit card info) The TG notification showed a credit card number that wasn't even close? I carefully re-entered & 24 - 48 hours later was notified again - same reason, same wrong credit card number. 3rd time I called the customer service number & went a couple of rounds with the auto message system & got to the area I wanted - press 1 for "a" & 2 for "b". Neither entry was recognized, just went back to "press #1 or #2. Hung up & called back, no surprise same thing. I know it was not my phone because I got passed 2 rounds of questions from the automated answering machine. Not recommended!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased coverage for a trip to Cancun February 8-16, 2018. A week prior I became aware that my sister who was suffering from terminal cancer would likely expire during the time of our trip. I called an AIG phone agent a day before the trip and advised her (Cindy **) that my wife and I were cancelling our trip so I could spend time with my dying sister, I was with her on the day she passed (11 February, 2018). When I was talking to the agent I was told me I could cancel the policy or file a claim. Not being a position to spend time studying the matter, I choose fail a claim, although I protested that I should be able to due either when I had the time to investigate.

Subsequently, I found that our airline will reimburse the cost of an otherwise non-refundable E-Ticket. I asked AIG for a policy refund in lieu of filing a claim for the airfare and they have denied this request twice. The policy cost was $197.00 and the airfare $772.62. I suspect their decision is legal but their policies are misleading and dishonest.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Very unprofessional. Do not waste your time or money. Scam! I booked a flight through Travelocity and purchased the travel insurance provided by Travel Guard. At the time I booked the flight, I was pregnant and healthy. No concerns or issues to even think of. A week before my flight I ended up in the emergency room and diagnosed with preterm labor. The doctor recommended for the safety and well-being of not only our child, but myself, to cancel my flight. I canceled the flight and filed a claim with Travel Guard. I provided quickly and detailed documentation. The claim was denied a week later stating that "pregnancy is not covered under their plans."

Original review: March 3, 2018

I bought insurance through Expedia, what a waste of money. I have the flu and clearly cannot get on an airplane. They will not reimburse me for the flight difference to go tomorrow and will only reimburse me for the $200 dollar fee if I go to urgent care. I am too sick to fly, but do not need to go to urgent care. It's a total scam. Save your money!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I bought this insurance because we were not sure of our dates and it said 100% cost will be refunded. When I told the customer service rep she rudely said that I am the consumer and I should be more informed and read all the fine print. They have a link which takes you to another link which opens a pop up and there is another link which opens a document that has lot of fine prints. And pretty much shortly of dying or getting stuck in natural disaster you are not getting your money back. Just horrible and shady company. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

BEWARE! I booked flights through Expedia, and was happy to pay the additional $42 dollars for "100% Cancellation" insurance. As you can guess I needed to cancel my flights. I followed the online instructions and supplied the necessary documentation. After 2 weeks I emailed asking if they needed additional documents as it was taking longer than I expected. My claim agent responded and let me know it would be handled in the order it was received. Like 99.9% of all the other reviewers I was emailed a denial letter. I called to get an explanation, short of dying yourself or being in a natural disaster in which makes your home uninhabitable you are screwed. I explained my frustration and said, "I bet you guys rarely refund anybody's claims" She just laughed and said "Yep." I'm currently out $657.00.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Paid for trip insurance through Expedia and it was unfortunately through AIG Travel. After my flights were cancelled and I couldn't stay in the hotel room that I had booked and insured I filled out and sent in all the appropriate paperwork. A couple weeks later I was informed that they would not be covering my claim because they don't cover weather related incidents. Expedia and AIG should be ashamed of the fact that they proclaim 100% coverage! When in fact the only things they cover are ALREADY COVERED BY THE AIRLINES THEMSELVES! AIG is a complete waste of money because they will only give you back what the airlines/travel companies will be returning to you anyways. DO NOT buy their travel insurance. Do what I have always done before (and regrettably didn't do this time because I assumed it was the same) and go with World Nomads, they cover everything and are very easy to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I purchased this insurance just in case I was unable to get work off or something came up that required me to cancel my trip. I bought tickets before my vacation was approved because of the deal Expedia was having. Expedia did not list all the hoops that would have to be jumped through to get a refund. It said cancel anytime for any reason. Their website requests you to call the airline and cancel the flight before submitting your claim. So I called the airline, cancelled the flight and proceeded with the claims process.

I was shocked when the website listed all of the documents they required as proof. They need proof of employment, notarized letters from my employer, proof of purchase, and all documents relating to the travel. There is no way to obtain a notarized letter from my employer. If I had known it was going to be such a hassle I would have just found another way. Now I am out an additional $200 because I decided to rebook the flight to not lose out on the $500 plane ticket. The only positive is I didn’t but more than one ticket.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Exactly like other reviewers said... You won't be able to get any coverage from AIG unless there is an Armageddon like disaster or you are dying. I purchased a plan on Orbitz for our family vacation to the USA, and when I got this plan I thought I'm getting hassle and obligation free insurance as appears when I purchased the tickets as it clearly state "Cancellation Plan"... If any unforeseen incident happened I thought, I will be covered... But nope! That's not what it was. Very very disappointed in Travel Guard and especially Orbitz for promoting them. I advise not to fall in the same trap as I did...

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I purchased travel cancellation insurance to cover the cost of an international trip ($12K) - advertised as 100% cancellation coverage. No link at purchased to read policy. The trip was canceled by the client and I canceled my flights through Travelocity, apart from a $600 cancellation fee that Travelocity told me would be covered by the travel insurance policy I took out. Wrong! They denied my claim because the trip was canceled. What? I spoke with a service representative on the phone that referred me through four levels of links and 8 point type to a document that said the policy only covered the SAME THINGS THE AIRLINES ALREADY EXEMPT. This insurance coverage is a TOTAL SCAM. The company may be legally covered, but ethically every person who works for them should know they are exactly what is wrong with this world.

Travel Guard expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky