Travel Guard
1.16/5

Looking for travel insurance?

Travel Guard

AIG Travel, Inc., a member of American International Group, Inc., is a worldwide leader in travel insurance and global assistance. Travel Guard® the marketing name for its portfolio of travel insurance and travel-related services, including medical and security services, marketed to both leisure and business travelers around the globe. Services are provided through a network of wholly owned service centers located in Asia, Europe and the Americas. For additional information, please visit our websites.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

170 Travel Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Trip to Canada. Rental car was backed into while we were shopping. Called rental company. They said, "When you return the car just file a claim. There is no out of pocket expense." The rental company charged us $1,000 anyway. We filed our claim, sent in all the paperwork. Called every week! Sometimes 3 times a week! The insurance adjuster Gloria ** never called back. We were told she would call us.

After Jan. and Feb they just sent a nice email stating the paperwork was not complete and we can reopen the claim. WE sent in all the required paperwork. Never received another notice that is wasn't correct. Every time we called in they said everything was in our file and didn't know why the claim had not been paid. This is the worst travel insurance ever! So we are going to have to pay for car damage of 3,660.77 and the 1,000.00. Expedia if this company does not pay claims why do you do business with them? AIG should be investigated and shut down!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I purchased my tickets from Expedia with the travel insurance they offer as it said my trip would be cover 100% if I needed to cancel, well I’ve never had to cancel a trip until now but I only need to cancel and immediately rebook for a different city to land in and take off from and extend my stay by 3 days. I’m having surgery and the doctor informed me after I purchased my tickets that I needed a minimum of 7 days after surgery before flying back home to avoid complications of blood clots in my legs and/or lungs.

I submitted all documents including a typed, signed, and stamped letter from the doctor, two weeks after submitting my claim I get an email denying my request as they said my medical reasons are not covered! Unbelievable! My life doesn’t matter to these incompetent people and if I do develop blood clots because of their negligence, Expedia, or the airline after I sent in all the required documents leaving a fully detailed paper trail, I will stop at nothing with legal actions. I will also be reporting AIG to the attorney general and BBB.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I purchased a travel policy recently and called back today to ask some questions about adding on a hotel to the policy. I spoke to someone named Susan who was extremely rude and sarcastic. She kept reading me a paragraph from the policy in a nasty manner, couldn't answer my questions and when I asked to speak to someone else, she told me everyone was busy and they would call me back in 48 hours. I was really shocked by her attitude especially since the woman I purchased the policy from originally was very nice (of course). I am now sorry that I purchased from them and just hope I won't need them for this trip because based on today's experience and all the negative reviews I'm seeing on this site, we won't have much luck getting our money back.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My wife and I purchased flights to Europe and purchased AIG's travel insurance. After booking our flights, we found out we're pregnant and then two different OB doctors told us to cancel the trip due to risks of the pregnancy. Despite providing requested documentation and letters from both doctors, our claim was denied. To be clear, we had to cancel our trip on 2 doctors orders for the health of the baby and our claim was denied. Furthermore, our Claims Adjustor didn't even have the professional courtesy to call me back after repeated messages. AIG is a disgusting company, don't waste your money with them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I booked a flight to Costa Rica thru Expedia to get some dental work performed. I took out a AIG Travel Guard flight insurance plan for 70 dollars. Well I have to stay longer in Costa Rica and had to cancel my flight. I contacted AIG. Told them what happened and the customer service representative Brenda ** wanted documentation to support my claims. I went to my dentist who wrote a letter stating my condition of having to stay later and AIG said they would review it. My policy cover sheet states trip cancellation would be 100% covered, so I thought I would be all set.

AIG sent me a letter stating because the trip was to receive medical treatment. Even my documentation which the representative requested from the doctor was not good enough now. They denied me because the plan does not cover traveling for securing medical treatment. Now because of this decision I am out of $541.00. AIG does not honor their contracts or value the commitment to your customers. I have contacted NBC30 consumer complaint division and will contact the Attorney General of the State of Connecticut also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AIG Travel?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Do yourself a favour and save the money. You will not get paid out. It is just a total rip off. They will make you jump through many hoops and after a while they will tell you that you did not qualify because of some bogus rule.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Never never never use this insurance. They are horrible to work with if you should suffer a loss. They find a way not to make good on your claim. We used the Travel Guard/AIG car insurance offered through Travelocity. Only use car insurance from the rental company!!!! AGAIN NEVER USE TRAVEL GUARD!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased this policy as part of my United Airlines ticket. I ended up changing the return leg of my flight. I called Travel Guard, and they said I had to log into their website and make the change online. Why? When I never purchased the policy on their website? Fine. I logged into the website and made the changes. I received a confirmation email that it would take up to TWO BUSINESS DAYS to process my request. The customer service rep never mentioned a waiting period. When I heard back regarding my date change, I was told that they would decline my request as the request was not received within 24 hours. Ridiculous. I should have been told this when I called. You feel a little remorse when a policy is unused. But when you don't even get the opportunity to find out whether or not your policy could have been useful? There is no better definition of "waste of money."

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would like to give this company no stars. What good is insurance if it does not protect the one thing it is suppose to protect? I booked my trip through Orbitz. I received the confirmation of the insurance which has 100% trip cancellation. I’ve always purchased the insurance because I am in the military but never had to use it until now. I now have a military exercise that I have to attend during the week of travel. Found this out over 3 weeks in advance so I cancelled the plan tickets and filed the claim. Now I am being told that it will be reviewed but my reason does not justify the cancellation. Why is the only option offered during the time of purchase and why send information stating 100% trip cancellation if this is not the case?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We purchased AIG Travel Insurance while booking a cabin in Tenn. My father pass away and left us with unexpected bills. We tried to cancel our vacation but we were denied from AIG Travel. We still don't know why it was denied. I do not recommend AIG for anything.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

We purchased this travel insurance recommended by Expedia rep via chat with Expedia. Was told to buy the more expensive ($100.00 per person) plan because it covered EVERYTHING. Total scam, missed our flight, had to stay in Miami overnight. Got to our final destination the next day. AIG rep told me to save all receipts. Yea... Took a month and a half, first a total rejection of claim, many emails, numerous phone conversations with multiple rude uninformed service representatives. It cost me $435.00 in losses and they finally sent me a check for $200.00. They stated it only $100 per day max. Even though we were affected two days. In my opinion...this is a total scam. I will be contacting the BBB as well as the Attorney General to stop people from being taken advantage of. They only gave me back the $200.00 I paid. Didn't cover any costs or losses. DO NOT PURCHASE!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought travel insurance for a trip I was taking for the Christmas holidays. The day before I was suppose to leave, I received a court summons that I had to go to court on the day I would be out of town. I then cancelled the trip and started a claim using Travel Guard. I turned in all the requested documents (court summons) and my claim was denied because my adjuster thinks that I knew that I had to go to court and should have booked the trip which a total LIE. The court summons that I received even says the day I received (the day before the flight) it. Travel Guard is a waste of money!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

AIG Travel Insurance is a scam. I purchased the insurance as part of my trip from Expedia. When you purchase insurance, it's simply a checkbox at the end of the checkout page. My hotel was from January 1st-January 3rd 2019. I cancelled on 12/29/2018 due to a back injury - my doctor advised me not travel as I was unable to move or sit properly (6 hour flight). I uploaded the doctor form.

I filed my claim through AIG and they said my coverage period was from November 27th - December 1st. They are saying my coverage period ended a full month before my hotel reservation - a coverage period which I DON'T GET TO DECIDE. They see the hotel booking, but somehow think this is still the correct coverage. The claims adjuster was completely incompetent and took over a week to respond to simple emails and the phone reps are not equipped to properly address or escalate the issue. When they would try to reach my claims adjuster, she was never at her desk and would never call back. I've attached *some* images from our interaction (I'm not going to share my doctors form, and there are about 10 emails).

Luckily after sharing this email chain with Expedia and the hotel they issued me a refund. Additionally I had purchased travel protection through the airline, and three other hotels I was staying at and they had no issue refunding me timely. Please stay away from AIG Travel. They are incompetent and are somehow basically running a scam. When you purchase travel insurance through them, the coverage period is not for your exact hotel/airline booking - but a time period which they decide and doesn't necessarily make any sense. When you try to clarify and get it fixed, they are unable to work with you or willing to look into what went wrong.

I'm sure there is something technically wrong with their system and some sort of SISS process they are running, but if they ignore it, it will not get fixed and more people will be the victim of it - and AIG will profit off it. I advise anyone who has something similar happen to them to file a claim through your state's department of financial services.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I bought insurance for a cruise. I was then called to active duty military orders for the days of the trip, so I had to cancel. AIG would not reimburse me a dime because military obligations are not covered in their policy.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Purchased this insurance for an upcoming trip I am making to Florida, for my Son's Graduation from Pilot School in the Air Force. His Captain changed the graduation date, due to the facility wasn't available. I had to purchase new tickets for a week earlier. I filed the claim, and they told me that this doesn't fall under their terms. No one was sick. What a bunch of BS. This is a change out of my control, this is due to a change within the United States Air Force. They don't care. I requested a refund for the insurance and was told no. Unless you are sick at the day of flight, don't bother wasting money. Why buy insurance when it covers nothing. This is a scam. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased this travel insurance for a flight on United. Then my plans changed, and I needed to cancel the flight. Even with this insurance, I wasn't able to get a refund, partial refund, or credit to a future flight. So this insurance basically did nothing.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased the insurance for a family vacation. We were scheduled to travel in June of 2019. My grandfather passed away in January of 2019. I wrote several emails and attached a variety of documents including proof of critical illness (hospice papers). I went as far as to attach funeral arrangements and a death certificate. The company still asked for more proof that he could not travel. I thought the whole point of insuring the ticket is so that if an extenuating circumstance happens it would be covered. Clearly this company is a fraud.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've been reading these reviews and my response is, "why even try?" I'm going to Europe in March and was supposed to train back to Amsterdam from Switzerland. I figured I'd fly out of Switzerland instead. Expedia wants $300 plus the other fees to change it. Then I figured, I'd cancel the flight and make a new one; it was only $200 more. Based on all of these negative comments and the chat I had on the phone, Travel Guard sounds like a crock of crap. If you buy insurance, you should be refunded, period. That's why you buy it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Purchased round-trip tickets for 2 to go to family member funeral. At the same time as paying for tickets, I also purchased AIG Travel Guard insurance. Trip there was OK - but the return trip was NOT. We arrived at the airport early - then found out flight was delayed - then delayed again, then again! Finally the airlines canceled the flight - and didn't have another for 2-3 more days! Immediately phone Travel Guard - who give me an "incident" number to refer to later, then they assisted in identifying a flight later that day with another airline. As you know, last-minute air travel is expensive - $1,100 in this case. Waited around airport - had two meals during the long wait. Flight home turned out fine, with the exception of being 12 hours late getting home! Filed my travel claim with Travel Guard. Didn't hear anything back after a good while, so I phoned them - was told "the check's in the mail"!

Finally received the check - and found that they refunded me ONLY the amount of the two meals! What about the $1,100 of unexpected expense (airfare) that I incurred!?! I immediately contacted Travel Guard - who sent me a message that I would be contacted. I waited a month - nothing. I sent an email asking what was going on. Waited a couple of weeks - nothing. I phoned - finally got in touch with someone - who said that I needed to speak with a woman who wasn't at her desk at the moment. She said she'd send a message to the woman to phone me back. I waited the rest of the day hoping she'd call me. Nope - and nothing yet today. So, I come to this site to leave a review - and I see that most everyone else feels the same! One star - and I'll bet they all wish they could have left zero stars! My advice - DO NOT PURCHASE TRAVEL GUARD insurance.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Why buy travel insurance if the company doesn't stand behind their policy? Please, please don't line the pockets of this company with your hard earned dollars. I did. My trip for 3 was delayed due to the airline being grounded. Beyond my control, obviously. I had already reserved a vacation home at the travel destination and arranged to meet my oldest son at the airport in Florida. I reserved a car (got charged $$ to change the reservation) for myself and to pick up my son at our meeting place...the airport. He was stranded with no ride, no accommodations because I had no flight until the following evening. I called AIG. They arranged new flights for my 2 younger boys and me to fly out on the original departure date. Different airline, different departure city but worth the 2 hour drive to ensure my oldest son wasn't sleeping on a park bench somewhere. I was told it would be covered by my travel insurance policy.

Surprise, I got screwed for the replacement tickets at well over 1,000 since I bought them the same day we traveled. This fly by night company had an excuse for every argument to avoid any liability to cover this interrupted trip. I had and still have all supporting documentation. I hate this company and wish them to go bankrupt and perhaps they willing people do their due diligence before buying worthless coverage from them, like I did. I considered legal action but my research has led me to believe it would be fruitless. This company needs to be more clear upfront with what they do and do not cover. It's ridiculous and extremely poor business practice.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I purchased this policy for a ticket I bought my mother. My mother is going through a very difficult ordeal and suffered some mental health instability and has hospitalized in the ICU for over a week. When I filed a claim I had to file it in her name despite that had purchased the flight and policy and I was the injured party not her. They denied the claim stating that mental health issues are not covered. This is absurd, what an absolute joke. Do not buy this insurance especially through Expedia. I will never purchase a flight or this policy through Expedia again. Absolutely horrible. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We had purchased 3 tickets to Curaçao for a family vacation a few months ago through Expedia, we bought the AIG Travel Guard insurance to feel secure of our purchase. My wife went to her doctor and was informed she was pregnant, she let her doctor know she was traveling to Curaçao and he warned her that Zika virus is a threat to the unborn child. The Center for Disease Control also states “DO NOT TRAVEL” to Curaçao if you are pregnant, they go further to say the the male partners should not travel either do to high risk of infection. When we called Expedia they just brushed us off to AIG, at first they seemed very helpful. We gather all required documentation and submitted right away. This was their response:

"The purpose of this letter is to advise you of our position with respect to coverage for the above referenced claim. We value you as a customer and appreciate your business; however, we must inform you that there is no coverage under the policy for the claim presented. According to the information provided, you filed a claim because your trip was cancelled due to a Normal Pregnancy. Based on the information received your cancellation was due to the threat of Zika Virus. Please be aware that a cancellation due to the concerns for a potential illness being acquired during the trip is not a specified reason under the Plan that would make one eligible for Trip Cancellation Benefits. While we do understand your concerns regarding the Zika virus which led to your decision to cancel your scheduled trip, these circumstances are not one of the specified reasons under this travel protection plan for eligibility of reimbursement.

Because the pregnancy does not fall within the scope of a Complication of Pregnancy, as defined by the policy, we have determined that the above exclusion is applicable, and thus, we are unable to extend payment on your claim. Please note that our decision is based on the most current information available to us and the terms and conditions of the plan. If you have any additional documentation you believe may impact our decision, please submit it to us by email at claimsdoc1@aig.com or by mail to Aon Affinity, P.O. Box 8005, Stevens Point, WI 54481, and we will gladly review it.

This letter is not, and should not be construed as a waiver of any terms, conditions, exclusions or other provisions of the Policy. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA expressly reserves all of its rights under the Policy, including the right to assert additional defenses to any claims for coverage, if subsequent information indicates that such action is warranted. In closing, allow me to reiterate that we value you as a customer and encourage you to contact us should you have any questions or concerns regarding the contents of this letter. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter."

So I called and tried to reason with them. The agent rudely said, “being pregnant is not reason enough to cancel our trip and that’s in our policy”. I corrected him by explaining that we canceled because our doctor said our unborn child could be affected by a virus that causes deformation and mental complications, the agent repeated the policy. I informed him that I would post this, he said, “go ahead, and don’t forget to post our policy as well”. I called Expedia to complain and they tried to brush me off to American Airlines.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was super nervous after reading these reviews about getting my claim paid. I paid for airline tickets back in June for a trip late November. The day before I was supposed to fly out, I came down with the flu. It was awful. I knew I had to go to the urgent care center to be checked out to see if I could possibly get some medicine that would allow me to fly, but was told no way. They gave me a note and prescription for **. I called the airline and canceled that morning. When I felt better in a few days I went on the site to see what I needed to do. I downloaded all the forms and proceeded to fill out. It took me a week to gather everything and I just uploaded to the site, and kept my fingers crossed.

I just received an email from my claims adjuster that the claim was approved and my full refund was coming in 7-10 business days. The time from when the claim was submitted to approval was 16 days. I was lucky I haven't been to a doctor within the 180 days prior to booking my trip, because I understand they'd want all that information and I'm sure it would take a long time to gather it. Bottom line to me is get the flu shot next year and make sure you understand the terms of the policy before you buy it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Hi! My situation is similar to Meredith's. I had purchased a one-way ticket and needed to extend my trip. Since I had purchased Travel Guard/AIG insurance I thought it wouldn't be any big deal. Again - just changing the flight - not cancelling. The reason I changed my flight had to do with my mother receiving chemotherapy. The insurance adjuster had the gall to ask me to obtain a doctor's note proving that my mother had received this. Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to ask my sick mother to reach out to her doctor to get a note? Isn't that against HIPAA laws? When you purchase insurance it shouldn't matter if you stub your toe and don't want to fly - that's why we bought the insurance. No reimbursement was given. What a SCAM!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I looked over every single review on this site and I must concur. AIG Travel Guard is a scam. Beware!!! I purchased Platinum Insurance Protection for a cruise I was taking. While on the ship I had an allergic reaction and saw the ship's doctor. Upon return I filed a claim with AIG. Big surprise they are declining the claim because they want my primary insurance to pay first. They claim that they are "excess" insurance coverage even though that was not disclosed at time of purchase. My primary insurance company is unable to process because the ship's doctor did not provide the proper medical/procedure/diagnosis codes. Norwegian will not provide the codes. Back to the Travel Protection Insurance. This is a complete scam. You would be better just throwing your money away.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Too bad there's not a negative star rating. DO NOT EVER buy travel insurance with AIG/Travel Guard - United Airlines should kick these scammers to the curb. I purchased AIG/Travel Guard travel insurance offered on the United Airlines site with my one-way ticket from Boston to Los Angeles on 11/17/18. Due to a family illness I was forced to change - NOT cancel - my departure date. Same flight, but departing just two days later. United charged me a change (not cancellation) fee of $200, and an airfare difference of $95, telling me that normally they would waive the change fee as a courtesy, but since I had purchased travel insurance they had to charge both, and that they would be refunded. Dream on, United.

After submitting all medical documentation and airline invoices, Travel Guard only covered the $200 change fee as a "trip cancellation benefit" - even though the trip was NOT cancelled - my ticket with the new departure date had the same United confirmation number, and my receipt clearly lists it as a "change fee." Travel Guard refused to pay the fare increase, which is actually covered under "Trip Interruption Benefits" as an "increase in transportation expense[s]."

The reason? AIG's claims adjuster claimed that was because I had a one-way ticket - even though there's nothing in the insurance policy that states that one-way tickets are subject to lesser or limited coverage than round-trip ones, regardless of whether the trip is cancelled or interrupted. There's actually nothing in the policy that mentions one-way tickets at all (other than the fact that coverage ends at the destination). Needless to say, I've filed a complaint with the MA insurance commissioner - this is fraud, and they don't even care that it's so blatant.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Purchased Travel Guard insurance for a flight from Washington-Dulles scheduled for Nov 15, 2018. Winter Storm Avery dumped record snow from my home in Pennsylvania to Dulles making travel impossible on the day of the flight. AIG denied the claim because the airplane departed on time... Not being able to get to the airport didn't matter, even though cancelation due to inclement weather is specifically covered for 100% reimbursement. Avoid AIG Travel Guard, AIG, and their underwriters the National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburg, PA located in New York, NY... Seems they are not very good at honoring their policies.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

The Worst travel Insurance company in US. Please buyers, beware! Please don't waste your money. They are scams, deceivers. I bought a ticket with them and they sent me a receipt of confirmation. Because of job related problem, I cancelled the trip on month ahead. After I filed the claim, they called me and said that they do not cover this problem and no way to refund me. My wife and I lost both our money. They will mislead you. I warned you but you can anyway waste your money.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

So I purchased my flight ticket from Oakland, CA to Los Angeles,CA and the day before my flight departure I started not feeling well. Come to find out I had the flu and decided to cancel my flight. I then bought over the counter medications to self-treat, therefore did not go to the hospital or speak to a doctor. I felt better a couple of days later, then I filed a claim for my ticket purchase to be refunded. Days later my claim was denied. Reason for denial being "You have to get a physician's note or speak to a doctor before we can approve your claim."

I have never heard of this absurd reason before and I know it's a way of not reimbursing me for my ticket. What about people who don't have health insurance or Primary care doctor? This AIG company is a FRAUD and SCAM innocent and hard-working people. Please, I need help to get my money back! I worked so hard for the money and it only took an instant for AIG to rob me of my hard earned money. I will also advise anyone looking for Flight insurance to avoid AIG, they are a scam insurance company, they should be investigated and shut down.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

THIS AIG TRAVEL GUARD INSURANCE IS A SCAM! if you buy it, while booking a trip via a travel site, AIG makes look like you will get a full refund if for any reason, if you have to cancel your trip. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! I had to cancel my trip, and filed a claim, which was denied. Reason: Because my reason to cancel the trip does not fall in their Policy Perils. But, wait, I was NOT provided these Perils at the TIME OF PURCHASE! But, AIG continues to say they did provided them to me. All I got from the beginning was an email receipt, with instructions to file a claim if I need to. I have rebutted the claim, complained with BBB and the Insurance Commission in my state, and NOTHING gets resolved! AIG Travel Guard continues to "Play" the "Insurance Gimmicks" with my dispute.

What they allegedly claim they sent to me as a response to this case, is the same original denial verbiage verbatim to my claim I have received over and over! AIG Travel not only responded the same way to the BBB complaint, but also to my state Insurance Commission, to whom I also have filed a complaint with. Again, the issue: AIG Travel did not provide me with details of their Policy Perils at the time of purchase of the airline ticket. ONLY, after I made the purchase, I was sent a receipt email which have links to file a claim if necessary in case of a flight cancellation.

AIG Travel has never ACKNOWLEDGED their DECEPTIVE PRACTICE, and naturally, they never will. As a consumer, I have been ripped off by the GIANT Insurance Corporation AIG, as they have done in the past, just looked up their history. I'm not the ONLY consumer that has had this experience with AIG Travel Guard. As a Federal employee, veteran and consumer, I will continue to push to EXPOSE AIG Travel Guard deceptive practices. I already understand that I will never see my claim paid, or resolved by AIG Travel, but at least I will try to educate other consumers, that may want to purchase this WORTHLESS INSURANCE, not to waste their monies by basically giving it away to AIG Travel Guard!

AIG Travel expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Serving millions of travelers each year, Travel Guard is one of the leading providers of travel insurance.

• Per-trip or annual plans: Get coverage for an annual vacation or for every trip you take during the year.

• Instant online quoting: In addition to their more than 12,000 travel partners, you can also buy Travel Guard plans online.

• Tiered pricing: Choose between three different service levels to get the coverage you need.

• Travel health insurance available: Health issues and medical emergencies can crop up at any time, but with travel health insurance, you can visit a doctor and know that your bill is covered.

• Baggage coverage: Enjoy up to $1,000 in coverage if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged during your trip.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky