2. Finance

Prudential Life Insurance
Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.56/5

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have had this life insurance for almost 40 years. In early April I tried to change my beneficiaries. It took over 2 months to do this with multiple phone calls and letters. Super frustrating! The only good thing to come out of this was I got my very own customer service rep after writing a letter of complaint to the company. Even she got frustrated with her own company! If I didn't have so many years invested in this life insurance I would've just quit. Honestly, I would rather die than have to contact Prudential again.

Original review: May 21, 2020

My mother passed away in March 2020. Three siblings (beneficiaries) in three different states during pandemic. MULTIPLE communications via phone and mail with Prudential. Nobody seems to be keeping track of claim at all. I’ve spent HOURS on the phone and multiple faxes, emails and USPS mail and each time they come up with something new that they need to process claim. Funeral Home waiting to be paid. Keep in mind this is only a 10k “funeral benefit” policy... not like they are paying out 500,000. Totally ridiculous. I will ???? steer everyone I know away from Prudential. Completely and utterly frustrated and disappointed in this company.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I recently (04/12/2020) sent a request to cash out my policy which I have had since 1986. I submitted the required forms, and returned the policy as requested. They acknowledged my request and asked me to send in different forms which requested essentially the same information. They do not answer phone calls and have no way to message them. I would appreciate the courtesy of a response with a status of my request.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Worst customer service!! I called up to set up the account and however, I had to go through with multiple customer representatives and at the end they were not also able to set up the account and the wait time was more than one hour... what a waste of time!

Original review: April 19, 2020

We've had 4 policies with Costco for over 34 years. During that time, we have never missed a payment. A few years ago, our Prudential agent advised us that we could withdraw an amount that was in excess of the contract amount without causing an increase in our premiums. We were clear that we didn't want the withdrawal to cause our premiums to rise. Two years later, Prudential TRIPLED our premiums. We protested and they just gave us a run-around. Our state's Insurance Commissioner said there was nothing they could do.

Today, we just received a letter announcing that our account was "in default" (no previous warning) and that to continue coverage, we would have to pay $30,000! Over 33 years, we've paid over $60,000 in premiums, which they invested. Now that we are elderly, it appears that Prudential is making this huge assessment so they can get us to drop our policy so they can pocket all of our contributions and their accrued interest.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I talked to one of the insurance person with the name ABID, he resides in Houston. I have not talked to a more rude person in my entire life ever before. He was giving me a rate that was a bit higher for me and I was also taking rates from other agents. First he continued forcing me to give him the names of other agents and other companies, I said, "I don't want to give those details, why don't you give me rates according to your company policy." The rates that he gave me, were a bit higher for me. As soon as he realized that I am not going to buy his policy from him, he started yelling at me and was extremely rude. I wish some one teaches him how to talk to a lady. He is absolutely mannerless, impolite and unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My mom passed away July, 2019 with 2 Prudential life insurance policies. It is seven months later and they still haven’t issued a check. My mom was never late on a payment and the policies were fully paid. As the executor of my mom’s will, I filled out Prudential’s numerous claim forms. They sent the same forms three times and each time I completed them. Now they are telling me that I need to get my mom’s house appraised and everything she owned appraised for a small estate court order that they need in order to process the death claim. What? My mom’s house and belongings are none of their business. Her estate is not in probate. She had life insurance policies with other companies that paid without any issues. Prudential clearly does not want to pay on their life insurance policies.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Something is terribly wrong with this company; we've had two minor life insurance policies for 45-years and always had positive experiences until today. Although Prudential has provided me with a form 1099-r each year, this year they are refusing to do so and cannot provide the figures for my taxes. Additionally, my husband's tax forms contain my social security number, not his. In order to correct this problem, they're mailing a form; policy does not permit a representative to email or overnight this form. Doesn't anyone there realize this is an emergency because this documentation is required by the IRS.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Back around December I got a letter in the mail stating that I had an un-cashed check from Prudential which was issued in April, and to contact them if it needed re-issued. I called the contact number, and found out they had my old address. I updated it, and they said the check would take about 7-10 days to process, and around 3 for delivery. I waited, about two weeks or so, and no check. I called them again the next month. For some reason, they said the check was past the processing date, but had not been sent out, so they would have to RE-process it (another 7-10 days) and it would be delivered about 3 days after that.

I got a letter in the mail expecting the check, but alas! It was the 1099 form for the check! So they expect me to pay the taxes on it, but can't get the actual check to me on time? Alright. So I wait, surly it would arrive soon, they clearly have my address. It's now February, and I still have no check. I DID however, receive a notice in the mail that I updated my PIN number! So I gave them another call. It may come as a surprise to you, but the check hasn't been sent out yet. So they offered me a "rush" delivery for the check....which according to them is another 7-10 business days. Absolutely horrible experience. I advise anyone to choose another company over Prudential. It's a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Steven ** in Staten Island, NY. I asked him my only real question because he already spoke with my wife to gather all our information. Is this really going to be my Premium? He told me it was already underwritten and approved but it was not and the premium went up of course. That was only an auto policy. Now that I have called him out on his lie, he has threatened me to cancel my policy to leave me and my family without insurance. What kind of person is this? I hope you all get as far away from this type of **.

Prudential author review by Neal Frankle

Prudential is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Headquartered in Newark, New Jersey, Prudential is and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information