1.77/5
Based on 115 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 12, 2018

121 Prudential Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

Made the request 4/16/18. Approved. Week goes by, no check. I call, they need to verify my signature. I fax it. Week goes by, no check. I call, they didn't receive fax. I fax again, to 2 numbers. Week goes by, no check. I call, fax turned out 'black'. Was told to email a picture of my I.D. I do. I call the next day. Was told my check was in the mail. They SAID it was mailed... 5 days go by, I get a denial letter stating the pic of my I.D. wasn't sufficient. Nearly a month has gone by, and MY money still isn't in MY bank account. This is EXACTLY why I've always believed in ignoring inflation, and burying your money in the backyard. CROOKS!

Original review: April 6, 2018

My parents paid premiums their whole life. Incredibly extensive paperwork was required by PLI after their "normal" deaths. They requested again after they kept the originals. They won't pay out $1100.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2018

A complete lack of responsiveness... Been trying to make an account change since November - that's over 4 months - without success. Associates that have failed to respond to the most basic questions would be Jonnete **, Riona **, Camille ** among others... If it was not for a w/d penalty I'd have bailed out of this company a LONG time ago. If your financial advisor suggests any Prudential services run fast!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Applied for this insurance and got denied right away, even got a letter that I got denied because of my pregnancy. 4 months later changed my status at work from full time to part time, got a letter from this company again saying that as a part time worker I was not eligible for insurance and my coverage would end the day I started part time. It appears that I was being charged for something I was never approved for in the first place... This company is nothing but a scam.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I am permanently and totally disabled and have been for over 9 years. Prudential continues to harass those who qualify for the waiver. The fact is that they expect Medicare to pay for the DR visit to confirm continued disability. They do not provide funds for their routine requirements. Even if Medicare pays there is always a copayment and additional charges for paperwork. I can imagine how much the American taxpayer has paid for this purpose. In my case Prudential was informed twice that I am permanently and totally disabled. Prudential should be held accountable for their part in defrauding Medicare and harassing innocent disabled senior citizens.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company takes advantage of the little people. I had a small amount of retirement money from my previous job and called to have it rolled over to my new retirement account with my new job. They said they couldn't do it because it was too soon after leaving my previous job. Months later I receive a check for 10% (I kid you not) of my balance because the other 90% was charged by Prudential in withdrawal fees. The money was withdrawn instead of rolled over, without my permission, and charging ridiculous amounts of fees. Now, I call and they can't do anything about it, because the original operator that took my call the first time I called saying I wanted a rollover to another account didn't make a note of it. Unbelievable. Do not make business with them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I signed up for a VUL policy 9 month ago for mine and my wife with the interest of life insurance protection and the investment. I had a series of meetings with this Sales agent from Prudential clearly stating my objective. I clearly told him I'm not interested in paying him outrageous fees and commissions for investment, I would rather have a simple term life insurance. He assured me repeatedly selling a VUL Insurance policy saying that the fee will be minimal for the investment after deducting the market driven insurance premium cost. I trusted him and signed up for it.

I'm reviewed my second quarterly statement and found out that they are taking more than 30% of my monthly premium as fees and admin. charges. I've been trying to reach out to him to explain this outrageous scam. He's not responding to my calls and messages. I stopped my premium starting this month until I get more clear directions and answers. I guess my hard earned 9,000$ is gone. It's supposed to be for my children's college fund. Please be aware of these kind of Prudential Sales Agents. Am I allowed to list his name and number, so that others won't get trapped into his lies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Have dealt with Prudential since my fathers stroke 4yrs ago; consistently have issues with the reimbursement for the long term care, and they consistently LOSE documents, such as POA. These are sensitive documents, how do they lose them or have no record of having received them. Feel like I’m dealing with con artists; it’s hard managing care for a parent, then you have to fight this constant red tape **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I was told I do not need a financial adviser. When the tax free withdraw over 5 years seemed to be not enough cash, I took funds out in small amounts. Now I owe a huge amount to the IRS. They already took 20% and now they want more, Prudential just sat back and watched me make these horrible mistakes. Now I am screwed. Thank you so much. At 50, what am I supposed to do now? Start over again, I'm not doing that, criminals all of them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have numerous policies with Prudential and each and everyone is unique and personal. I would NOT trade my policies to any other carrier. One of my policies I am enrolled in is since I was three (3) three years of age. I have even taken out policies for my grandchildren. To cite an example how great these policies are while I was away at college; I did not pay on my policies, but yet somehow for (4) four the premiums were paid. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased many years ago for my two children who are now adults. The boy's policy automatically converted to his ownership when he became 21 years old!! I pay the insurance premiums and tried to get this cleared up but I'm still “communicating" with them... they insist on electronic contact as the most effective and efficient but I'm an "old dog" and prefer mail and paper!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My brother passed away on Sept 13, 2017. My younger brother J is executor of his estate. He has started probate and received the Writ of Testimony that allows him the power to have access to my dead brother's assets. One of these is from Prudential Life Insurance. He has made multiple calls and so have I. We have provided all the documentation more than once. We are promised a letter with the amount that we could submit to probate. The letter never came. We called again and were told that they received none of the documentation even with the fax cover letter saying it was received at the number we were given. We had even called to make sure they received the fax and was told they had received it.

Today I called again and was told that they had not received any of the documentation so we faxed it again to the number that they requested it be sent to. I was told by the case manager Tovanna that within 30 to 60 minutes she would call back with the information that we had requested. That did not happen. We were then told it had to go to some committee and we would get it in 24-48 business hours. That did not happen either. What is up? No one at that company seems to know what they are doing. I would not personally ever use Prudential for anything and will certainly tell everyone I know and on social media to avoid them. I wish there were negative stars. I cannot express to you how awful this company is!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

For a $43,000 whole life plan converted from employer plan, the premiums are $333.51 per month payable until age 85. I am currently 70 and by the time I reach 85, I would have paid $56,363.19. To break even, I need to die before age 80. Even the conversion to a term plan that ends at age 80, the rate is $370.66. Now tell me that makes sense. A term plan with a rate bump at 5 years costs more than a whole life plan.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We took out life insurance on myself through Prudential and we’re going to take out insurance on my husband to cover our mortgage should either of us pass away. We had quotes from HSBC and Prudential and chose Prudential because we read bad reviews about the underwriter that HSBC uses. What a mistake going with Prudential. The nurse that the underwriter sent to perform the required urine, blood and blood pressure tests on my husband arrived more than 1.5 hours late and lied about the testing. He claimed to have taken my husband's blood pressure three times because he got above normal readings, yet I was there and he took my husband's blood pressure only once.

We are concerned the nurse might have mixed up his client files as he arrived harried and tired at 8 o'clock at night.) My husband does not have high blood pressure which he proved by providing recent results from the medical center where he went for a checkup, and he was willing to undergo another high blood pressure test for Prudential. It doesn't matter. His premium would go up. So, bottom line is, not only do they find ways to charge you heftier premiums, they file records that other insurers have access to (even if they can't prove them) and they screw you over either way.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I bought four (4) life policies from Prudential in the early 1970s and have been trying repeatedly through my Pru insurance broker and personally to find out the status of my policies as to whether they are increasing or decreasing in value and the death benefits. Have come close and gotten some information but not all that I need. I appreciate confidentiality but at 87 years of age I don't care who knows what about the policies and would so attest.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My husband worked on a job for 19 yrs and had money taken out for life insurance. When my husband died after a 4 year disability they refused to pay the insurance. They found a loop hole. It was nothing about his illness, it was because of a bookkeeping error that his employer and Prudential didn't do. Now me and my family have to suffer because of their negligence.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I had life insurance through Hartford, which was bought out by Prudential. My payment record has been impeccable for years, but I didn't receive a bill for the 2nd quarter of 2017, and I depend on receiving them, nor did I receive notice of pending cancellation. I was simply dropped for missing the grace period. I have to wonder if this is their way of weeding out seniors? I am also in excellent health.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I signed up for a term life insurance policy in 1989 with my children as riders. My agent left Prudential shortly after the policy went into effect. Since then I have not had any representation since them. About a year ago a rep from Prudential called to tell me my son has aged out and if he wants his own policy. I said no. I come to find out he aged out at 25 and when the call was made to me he was 30 years old. I also stated that my younger son did was 28 and did not want his own policy. They did not reduce my premiums until last month.

I also found out my policy has not been offered by Prudential for many years. My policy is considered an "orphan policy". I requested a refund of all my premiums since I have not been represented in all these years, I was not informed I could convert my policy to something else. I contacted the Ohio Department of Insurance with my concerns. They did not side with me or Prudential. I suspended my premiums until this matter is resolved. I have been told by both ODI and Prudential that if I pay up the last 2 months they will re-instate my policy. They have no problem asking for my money.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Prudential is refusing to accept information given to them from lawyers so they can stall paying out on my pension. This was supposed to be a simple 'go/no go' piece of information. They will not act on the information even though I have a copy of the exact same letter in front of me clearly stating what they need to know. I requested a copy from the lawyers. Prudential stated details of protected rights on a policy in a letter dated from 2002 but now suddenly they say that that is not the case. The lawyer has told me this over the phone with a copy of the original letter in his hand. So when did that change? I wasn't told that my policy had been altered. How convenient. Dodgy springs to mind.

The other agencies involved in this case have been helpful keeping me informed and answering all my questions. Prudential however have been vague, guarded, slow to respond to any correspondence and generally unpleasant to deal with. The other agencies are in agreement with me and we are all on the same page, so to speak, they are now in the process of writing to Prudential to try to clarify the situation. I can understand the letters and information received from the agencies involved so what is up with Prudential, why do they need it spelling out, are they thick, are they awkward, are they greedy? I find it infuriating that a professional organisation of this size can act in this manner and treat badly the very people they rely on to keep them going as a business.

It seems that they can sit on letters for as long as they like without doing anything and there is nothing we can do as consumers when it comes to this organisation. All I get from them is "we are looking into it" and "will let you know", but they can't give time frames. They have repeatedly sent the same junk letters of no help to me when requesting further information on the progress of my request. Their website is a joke, you cannot open two pages in one browser, making it impossible to cross reference any material, it's so slow it's like trying to work on dial up, are you serious, in this day and age.

They will not send out emails to you, I have asked, because their server is not secure, their words not mine. This is not fake, I hope to release all correspondence to whoever can do something about this or is interested enough that it will shake companies like this so they improve their customer experience. I am currently referring this to the ombudsman.

Original review: June 14, 2017

A couple days ago, my wife and I tried calling Prudential Life Insurance department to cash in/withdraw this small life insurance policy my parents had for me growing up. My wife and I just got our own policies on each other and my parents no longer wanted to pay on mine and my siblings' policies so they told us to either take the same payments over or cash them in. Anyways, so my wife and I tried doing that a couple days ago and the lady we dealt with told us she was unable to help us because we needed to call this other department to get our banking information changed (why? but who knows). But of course it was past the time that department was there so we needed to call back tomorrow.

Today, I tried calling that department this morning by myself and they kept calling me ma'am even though my wife has nothing to do with this policy and I kept telling them I was the insured but they kept calling me ma'am. After being put on hold a few times they lady got back on the line just to tell me it takes 12-48 hours to process and they would be calling me back and that was the only information she could give me.

So, I called the first number my wife and I called a couple days ago (the customer service number) and again after being put on hold again several times, and being called ma'am several times they were unable to help me even though I answered all the questions correctly because I AM THE INSURED and told me they would call me back in 12-48 hours. Who knew this would be such a long drawn out process. I am thankful my wife and I didn't go with Prudential with our new life insurance policies. I will be thankful when I don't have to deal with Prudential again. #veryunsatisifiedcustomer

Original review: June 9, 2017

I had a pension plan with Prudential as I was laid off and I asked for a rollover my funds (service agent name Martisha) to Prudential Mutual Fund IRA Account. I filled out the form they requested and sent it out and waited for the fund to be deposited directly to IRA in March. However I received a check at my home mailing address In April, I called Prudential (service agent name: Carla), and explained the situation with Pruco Mutual Fund Address. They said they would voided the check and issued a new one to IRA.

Waited a while and again in April, I received another check in my home address. I call them back (talked to Catherine, supervisor) and explained the situation and gave them Mutual Fund address. They said it would take 7-10 business days to process and issue a new check directly to Mutual Fund IRA. Waited a week and check my account, the fund was not there. Checked again in May (service agent name Skylar) on May 27, it still was not there. I called them again today (June 9, 2017) and talked to another supervisor (Ms. **) and she said as the mailing (according to her it was mailed on May 24, 2017) must has been delayed etc. Now in June, I still do not have fund in IRA account. What happened to my money?

Original review: May 28, 2017

My father passed on Nov 1, 2016. He was a dedicated Prudential customer, with two life insurance policies (one was purchased in 1965) and an annuity. Once notified of my father's passing by the funeral home and burial service, Prudential paid the claim without hesitation. His funeral and burial were on Nov 12th. However, the same beneficiaries were to receive his annuity, but there are issues, concerns & delays. WHY? And why are the communications from Prudential so inconsistent? They are providing conflicting info and not one is seeking to resolve them and pay out this claim. It is apparent that my Dad was always taking care of his family, but Prudential is creating unnecessary delays with the payout of these funds. Just pay whoever you have listed as the beneficiaries and let us move on! Ugh!!!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have a life insurance purchased many years ago. This policy has a retirement fund I had been paying for years but last March 2017 I moved to Puerto Rico and I had to surrender my policy because I can't afford to pay $280.00 monthly. This people sent me a set of forms for me to sign and return to them which I did. They promised a check for the amount of $5,331.00 which is a fraction of what I pay in all the years I was making the payments. They sent me a letter saying that the check was coming in a separate envelope for security reasons. I waited about a week and didn't get any mail I call them back to ask for my check and they say it was returned from the post office. I ask the post office. They say is not true they did not returned so they promised to send it back and again they lie to me. I call them back. They say they were going to put a stop payment of the check and make me a direct deposit to my checking account.

I gave them my checking account and wait until the date they said it was going to be deposited. I look at my account. Nothing. I call them back. They say the bank didn't accept the deposit and ask me again to wait for the check in the mail that was sent on April 24th. Today is May 16th and still waiting. I don't know what can I do next to collect my money. I call the insurance agent Hernan ** the one that got me into this policy and he say he is going to send me the customer service number to claim my money because he is retired and he has no access to the company anymore. This is ridiculous.

When he was trying to sell me the policy he call me 12 to 15 times a day so I was force to buy it just to get this guy off my back and now nobody cares anymore. So I beg you if you please help me with any information on how can I recover this fraction of cash value they promise to return my phone # is **, my name Alvaro **, my policy # is **. Company is Prudential Insurance. PO BOX 7390. Philadelphia PA 19176. (800) 944 8786. WWW.prudential.com. Thank you so much for any help in this matter.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Just had the worst experience with Prudential! They sold my elderly mother a VUL life policy in 2001. She had no way of understanding it because she is native Japanese and has terrible understanding of the English language. She paid into it around 60,000 dollars, they gave no help in managing her portfolio so it basically was worthless. Because of the way the policy works as you reach the end of your life, they will increase the policy premiums so high that if you're living on SS or limited income it will be very difficult to pay. I had to cancel it and they screwed me out of my last 500.00 dollars that was left in her portfolio after 16 years. I would not recommend this company they will try to use every effort not to pay out.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I have group life through my employer. I have riders which are my daughter and my husband. My husband and I were divorced. I kept the insurance because we have a minor child together. I didn't know that in divorce he was no longer covered. Prudential never notified me that the rider policy was no longer allowed due to divorce and they continued taking my premiums. My ex husband died unexpectedly on 3/12 and now Prudential doesn't want to pay because we were not still legally married.

I was never notified from Prudential when I got divorced that he would no longer be covered. I signed papers making me responsible for his funeral because I had this policy and because he had a massive stroke at my daughter's birthday party. I feel grief all over again. We have life insurance to put our loved ones always respectfully. My daughter is 9 and has to deal with not having her father here. We were divorced but we were still each other's dependent. If a domestic partner can be covered on a rider why is my ex-husband not covered?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My father-in-law had a policy thru Prudential from his work. When he passed away, Prudential paid within reasonable time. Although it required a lot of paperwork, they did pay after a few weeks. The best way to identify a good or bad insurance company is filing a claim with them. Will the insurer try to run or stay with you and pay for the claim? Well, Prudential paid so I really appreciate their help at the time of my family's need.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

As POA for my Father-In-Law and Guardian for my Mother-In-Law and Disabled Brother-In-Law, I have been requested by the State of Wisconsin to provide information regarding our three loved ones insurance policies. This is to verify that what has been done was done in the best interest of the family members involved. Every time I need to call for information from Prudential, I am treated with disrespect. I am told we need to fill out specific forms, which they provided to me, only to be told we sent the wrong forms and now need to wait again for the correct forms. After about 10 forms later for each individual the task was completed. Many of the times they wouldn't tell you you sent the wrong form until I called to see that it got done. At that time you find out you did it wrong again. Such a run-a-round!

So much effort to protect that their burial expenses would be provided for. We needed to move the ownership of certain policies to the funeral home. But now when the state asked me to provide them with information on those policies, Prudential won't answer my questions and now I have to have the funeral home ask the questions and get them faxed to the funeral home and then I have to go pick them up 1 hour away.

They were informed that my mentally disabled Brother-in-Law was in danger of losing his Medicare and Medicaid insurance if this information was not in written form within 30 days of the States Request and the date it was due by. They make me fax over every time I talk to them, my Guardianship papers and POA papers even though they can read to me that they know I am operating under this capacity and have a legal right to this information so that I can fulfill my duties. I even faxed the States documentation proving the need for the information and due dates it was required to be in to the state. My Fax to Prudential included my phone number, my fax number and my mailing address so that if anything else was required by me from Prudential they could let me know what was needed to be done.

Apparently, Prudential people determined that they did not need to provide the paperwork to me because the owner is the one that needs to ask for it, the Funeral Home. So rather than be a professional about the request and let me know, apparently they missed the three different ways to contact me listed on my fax to them. My phone number, fax number and address. They also disregarded the sentence that said if there is any reason you can't provide this information to me please call me asap so that I can let the State of Wisconsin know why there may be a delay. So rather than tell me what their requirements were to release the value of the policy and owners name of the policy, they put my disabled brother-in-law's insurance coverage at risk.

This company lacks social graces, professionalism, common decency and willingness to help others by providing proper information and bending every loophole they can. Their unwillingness to assist in getting necessary information out and delay tactics is unbelievable. In addition the attitude presented to me as if I'm some kind of criminal is unbelievable.

So by not informing me as to how to get the information, they put my disabled brother-in-law's insurance at risk! When my elderly father-in-law was guardian, they put him into panic attacks so often and gave him so much unnecessary stress that they should be ashamed. What I experienced and have been witness to has been nothing short of abuse to elderly and disabled people to whom they are very quick to take their money but not quick to help out when the law requires information. Very disrespectful! Shame on them! I would never recommend this company to anybody!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It was very easy to get info on my life insurance policy. They also allow me to pay my yearly premiums with the dividends that accrue - very helpful when on a limited income. Then when my mother died, they processed the life insurance check within 7 days which was very much appreciated.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

My mother had a policy with this company for years. She recently passed away and I filed a claim to receive her life insurance. They were very prompt. I was the slow one returning the paperwork but when they received it, they sent a check within two weeks. Great service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This is advice for all insurance companies. I use to be a VP at Prudential and we were trained to keep your money and steal your money. I recommend you only save money in a local credit union, at home or offshore account. Do not buy any insurance or medical policies. We will find a way not to pay you! If you want to be healthy, then become vegan... Do not waste money on health insurance. These companies only make money when we don't payout. I'm sad because I hurt so many people in the past. One woman had paid 48 years into her policy and we claimed to have lost the policy. I'm ashamed that I worked at Prudential.

Prudential expert review by Neal Frankle

This is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Prudential is headquartered in Newark, New Jersey and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information