Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Prudential Life Insurance

Prudential Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My mom passed away July, 2019 with 2 Prudential life insurance policies. It is seven months later and they still haven’t issued a check. My mom was never late on a payment and the policies were fully paid. As the executor of my mom’s will, I filled out Prudential’s numerous claim forms. They sent the same forms three times and each time I completed them. Now they are telling me that I need to get my mom’s house appraised and everything she owned appraised for a small estate court order that they need in order to process the death claim. What? My mom’s house and belongings are none of their business. Her estate is not in probate. She had life insurance policies with other companies that paid without any issues. Prudential clearly does not want to pay on their life insurance policies.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Something is terribly wrong with this company; we've had two minor life insurance policies for 45-years and always had positive experiences until today. Although Prudential has provided me with a form 1099-r each year, this year they are refusing to do so and cannot provide the figures for my taxes. Additionally, my husband's tax forms contain my social security number, not his. In order to correct this problem, they're mailing a form; policy does not permit a representative to email or overnight this form. Doesn't anyone there realize this is an emergency because this documentation is required by the IRS.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Back around December I got a letter in the mail stating that I had an un-cashed check from Prudential which was issued in April, and to contact them if it needed re-issued. I called the contact number, and found out they had my old address. I updated it, and they said the check would take about 7-10 days to process, and around 3 for delivery. I waited, about two weeks or so, and no check. I called them again the next month. For some reason, they said the check was past the processing date, but had not been sent out, so they would have to RE-process it (another 7-10 days) and it would be delivered about 3 days after that.

I got a letter in the mail expecting the check, but alas! It was the 1099 form for the check! So they expect me to pay the taxes on it, but can't get the actual check to me on time? Alright. So I wait, surly it would arrive soon, they clearly have my address. It's now February, and I still have no check. I DID however, receive a notice in the mail that I updated my PIN number! So I gave them another call. It may come as a surprise to you, but the check hasn't been sent out yet. So they offered me a "rush" delivery for the check....which according to them is another 7-10 business days. Absolutely horrible experience. I advise anyone to choose another company over Prudential. It's a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Steven ** in Staten Island, NY. I asked him my only real question because he already spoke with my wife to gather all our information. Is this really going to be my Premium? He told me it was already underwritten and approved but it was not and the premium went up of course. That was only an auto policy. Now that I have called him out on his lie, he has threatened me to cancel my policy to leave me and my family without insurance. What kind of person is this? I hope you all get as far away from this type of **.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My mother passed away on 11/6/19. As of today 1/24/20 the claim has not been paid. They keep making excuses why it has not been paid. My mother had a MET Life policy also and no problem at all it paying off. The paper work is always wrong or they did not receive it. They are the worst insurance company out there. Do NOT take out a policy with them. Vince

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

My wife of 20 years died 3 years ago and I filed a claim. It took about a month before the claim was approved and was "supposedly" sent to another random address twice. I was told that the check was stopped and would have to be reissued four times thus far. Every time I call I am asked the same questions and given the same spiel about the check sent to another address as if there are no notes on the subject. I have since consulted with an attorney and am still embroiled in the process 6 months later.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had 2 million dollar life insurance policy with them since 2012. Spent over 43,000 over the last 7 years. Called in to decrease coverage to decrease expensive premium of $513.45 a month, agent tells me he can not give quotes over the phone, has to be mailed. Allow 5-7 days for letter and once apply to decrease coverage, it will take another 14-21 days to process. He suggested I go quarterly to "get some payment relief and allow everything to process"...this was September 25th. He told me my next payment due would be December 7th. I get a letter with the quotes. Next letter I get is that my policy has LAPSED due to "non payment of my quarterly premium on Sept 7th"...made no sense since my phone call was on 9/25/19. I called and spoke to Jessa, who said she would investigate the issue. Did NOT follow up with me as she said.

They wanted me to pay $1511.00 and reapply to reinstate the policy. Instead of Jessa following up with me per phone call as we discussed, she sends me another letter saying I need to pay $3,023.66 by December 26, 2019. Keep in mind, I am being asked to pay for months that I HAD NO COVERAGE BECAUSE I WAS MISINFORMED BY ONE OF THEIR AGENTS. I asked Jessa to listen to the call and that I wanted to listen to the call as well, she told me I could not listen without a subpoena!! Also, the letter they sent saying my policy had LAPSED was just a regular mail letter. You would think that they would have the courtesy to call AND send a certified letter letting you know your 2 million dollar life insurance policy is about to LAPSE.

I called in again today and spoke to Angelo **, case manager...explained everything all over again. He stated that there was nothing they could do to help me because even though the agent misinformed me, that I was sent a bill. Again, I only got a letter saying my policy had ALREADY LAPSED. Regular mail, not certified and not even a phone call from them. This has put my family at risk, being uninsured and not even knowing it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I made an appointment but they never called. I received several confirmation and reminder emails but no telephone call. I then inquired as to why not and was told they tried although they didn't use the number I provided.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Each of many times that i called on behalf of my mom (i have POA) an agent says they are sorry about our loss but it appears the only thing they are sorry about is paying out a claim. Instead of reviewing the notes from my previous claim they re-ask every question like they know nothing about the claim.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

This has been a all around bad experience. I am trying to cash in my baby life insurance that my mother took out on my in 1956. The current surrender value was around $4000 and when I called about 8 months ago Prudential said they would mail it out. I happened to mention that I might be getting separated and that hung everything up. If I wouldn't have said that they would have mailed out the check, I think.

I had to wait a few months to give Prudential the separation decree and when I asked where I could email it they told me they don't have email. What kind of a company doesn't have email. I then asked for the address to mail the document to and they gave me an address that the USPS couldn't find on their site. When I looked up the address on Google Maps the area street view didn't look like somewhere I would want to send any personal information. I called to ask for an address and they just gave me the same address without a street name. I couldn't use my mailing program because the lack of a street name so I hand wrote the envelope and bought a stamp.

This process of getting Prudential the separation decree took 3 weeks. Prudential then said they mailed out the check but could not give me a tracking number or the way the check would be delivered. I waited about 21 days without receiving the check and then called back. Prudential then told me the check had been delivered but it had not. They still could not give me a tracking number (they said it was grayed out) and they could not tell me what service delivered it (USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.). I then paid $25 to have it sent Priority Mail. I would stay away from Prudential, they don't have their act together at all.

Prudential expert review by Neal Frankle

Prudential is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Headquartered in Newark, New Jersey, Prudential is and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information