Little feet, big responsibility

Take steps towards protecting loved ones. Compare term life plans today.

Protect my family
Prudential Life Insurance
3.55/5

Prudential Life Insurance

Little feet, big responsibility

Take steps towards protecting loved ones. Compare term life plans today.

Protect my family

153 Prudential Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

Called the customer service line to pay a premium and get address change. Rep was extremely rude and unhelpful. Took my money with no problem but did not want to help beyond that. Prudential needs to hire the right fits for a customer service line.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The company will treat you fine until you have a problem. And when this happens good luck getting a honest answer. Save yourself a lot of time and money, deal with a honest company, Met Life, New York Life. Buyer beware!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

In the end of 2016 my wife and I rolled over 2 fixed annuities from MetLife to Screwdential Prudential. The agent Craig was told multiple time we wanted fixed at 5% no variable. He assured us it would be fixed. Well with family problems all we did was look at the balance then we started to see transaction fees. We called him on the phone. He assured us it was fixed. It was a one time charge. Well principal started going down. I checked into it and found out it was variable & we were in things that were never reviewed or mentioned to us by him. I keep getting transaction fees even though what he put us in has not changed and I called & I can't change them to try to recoup losses.

When I confronted him (Craig) on this he replied by email that he can't talk to me. I have to speak with someone in policy relations. This crazy he wrote it did not review what he had done and won't own up to it. If this company calls you, hang up or if they are at your door lock it. God knows how they will screw my wife and kid on my 2 insurance (for over 30 yrs.) policies when I pass after all the neg comments I have read here.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Ten years ago I resigned from my job that paid for my prudential term life insurance policy. I continued with the policy after their nurse gave me physical exam at my home for $ 200k policy. I downgraded to $100k few years ago to pay $827.00 annual premium to age 85. I was never sent a copy of the insurance policy after I was told I would. Last year 2018 I requested downgrade to $50k policy but $100k was the lowest offered and was told by service rep. my 2019 annual policy would be about $5k annual and my end age dropped to age 82. with no prior notice.

I can't afford it and won't renew my policy. After reading many complaints about prudential and other big name life insurance companies giving beneficiaries big hassle on not paying death benefit, I decided best thing to do is just save that money in my savings account and my one of my trusted family member as my bank joint account holder to pay for my funeral and owed expenses after my death. These crooks won't get my money anymore.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My name is Michael **. My mother and father both passed away in February. Dad died February 13th and mom died February 15th. My father had 4 life insurance policies with Prudential. My mom was the primary beneficiary and my brother and I are contingency beneficiaries. When I called Prudential they said that because mom never filed a claim that my brother and I could file a claim. When we did now Prudential says they can't pay us. They want to pay to our mother's estate. They want us to go to courthouse and file small estate papers. The problem is everything was set up to be TOD and POD. So, all houses, vehicles, personal property and bank accounts have been transferred to my brother and I.

Another life insurance policy through Union Securities originally said the same as Prudential but after I faxed my parents' will to them they agreed to pay the death benefit since my brother and I are the only beneficiaries and are named executors in the Will. If you can assist us in any way we would greatly appreciate it. My cell phone number is **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have been permanently and totally disabled for over 10 years. I had here life policies with Prudential and cashed two in when I initially became disabled. After paying the premium for 2 years after my disability I realized that I had a waiver of premium rider and applied for the waiver. In April 2018 I was sent a letter from Prudential in which they wanted to review the waiver. In September 2018 I was told by a Prudential customer service rep that the waiver was approved and a letter of confirmation would be mailed. The letter never came and when I inquired I was told the waiver was still under review! When I told the CSR numerous times that I was informed the waiver was approved on the phone and all Prudential's call are recorded she would not even reply.

My claims examiner _Lauren ** never returns a call and when I call Prudential the CSR says she is not available and does not even put me through her voicemail. What are they hiding? The denial letter arrived in February 2019 just 3 weeks before the six month premium was due! I was in a car accident in 2017 that further disabled me and had to undergo more surgery. The reason Prudential is denying my waiver is in 16 months I will be 65 and Prudential would have to forgo the premiums for 20 years -yes the policy term is for 51 years! Prudential made 8 BILLION dollars last year. For a company whose ad slogan is "Bring Your Challenges" some government agency needs to investigate the business practice of such a terrible corporation. Some Prudential employees should be held accountable as well as the CEO of this corporation.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have been working with your company since February 5th. Your representatives have done nothing but lie to me. I am the power of attorney for my Mom's insurance policy and also the beneficiary. All I wanted to do was add my Son should I die. They are evasive and not nice. Didn't have a good experience with any of them. I expect an answer or will go to my Attorney General. You have some very serious problems with your company and are not forthcoming. I don't have time for these lies and noncompetency. Policy 46860776. I sent everything the rep told to send. Plus a copy of my Power of Attorney. I suggest you all get you act together. This is an awful treatment. Not good business. I am not trying to do anything but add my Son as a beneficiary...they said they would send paperwork. A month later and many calls here I sit with dealing with rude and lying representatives.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

PRUDENTIAL STOLE 33 YEARS. I'm a disabled, diabetic, heart patient who survives on Social Security and food stamps. Just after my first daughter was born I bought a modest life insurance policy from Prudential. From 1986 until now I never missed a monthly payment. Twice along the way I needed to take out small loans against the policy, about $3k total. Both times I was informed the loans need not ever be repaid. The loans plus interest would be deducted from settlement when I passed away. In fact they encouraged me not to pay them back. They advised me to enjoy the benefit for being a long time loyal client, but really they just wanted the interest to grow.

After over twenty years of "no contact" from Prudential they sent a demand letter for immediate payment of interest. Within the week "Heather" from Prudential called me. She told me her records indicated no one from Prudential had reached out to me in, literally, decades and wanted to apologize and find out if there was anything she could do for me. I told her about the demand letter and my financial situation. She promised this was some sort of error and she would correct it as soon as she hung up. She did not. Three days later The notice of cancelation arrived. Subsequent calls to Prudential have been fruitless. I explain it to them only to be bounced to someone else to start all over, 5 times then disconnected.

Can someone help me understand how this is acceptable. Why would they ignore me for decades then change their own rules, without notice, then backstab a loyal client? It seems to me they must have access to my medical records and know I'm getting closer every day to needing the death benefit. I'll bet they search for ways to terminate the older clients before settlement comes due.

These people played me for 33 years and I hope to maybe protect someone else from this predatory business behavior. Please repost this everywhere you can. Any constructive advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I was hoping Prudential would find a corporate conscience and do the right thing. I would like my family to have enough money to dispose of my remains and maybe split a pizza.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I spoke to 9 people during the massive runaround they gave me but NONE of them could simply update the mailing address for future correspondence regarding my deceased mother's contract (1099's, etc). One guy asked if she could come to the phone! I will never be a Prudential customer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

After 6 months of working with Prudential, they still are asking for more information - the same information I have multiple times over 6 months sent to them in writing by mail or filed on their website. They continually ask for the same documents that I have already submitted and I sent to where they have told me to send it - still not getting it. Luckily if you go high enough up the ladder of supervisors, you will get an American. I have communicated with American employees over the phone and email (sending the same documents already sent).

Their main customer service is in the Philippines, while nice people, they do not understand how life policies work. Their hands are tied too. They do not have email - imagine anyone in today's world without email capacity. I have been a broker for 30 years selling life insurance policies, I will never put my client's heirs through this horrible mess by selling or referring them to Prudential again. If I could give a 0 rating I would due to the extreme stress and distress they have caused me - especially at such a sad and difficult time as my father's death 6 months ago.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have read through all the comments on this site and I must say that so far, my experience with Prudential is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I filled my claim in November 2008 because I could no longer work due to MS and Epilepsy. My employer along with my Case Manager Kelly has worked diligently in getting me documentation and my doctors the same. We had one form mix up and that was my fault. Kelly said fax it to her attention and before I got hot it was uploaded. I understand there is good and bad in every business and yes we ALL are in a rough a depressing spot. I felt so depressed not being able to work. Kelly spent time talking to me.

So I ask when everyone is bashing Prudential have you ever thought that just maybe they might care and it is rough on them too. I ask you do you talk to them or at your Prudential agents. Because I bet if you respect them they will return the favor. My claim is in medical review and may be denied and I too may go through a lot to get it approved but that’s ok. I know I am sick and I will keep on until it’s approved. Like I tell my Case Manager we are a team and we will do this together

Just want to throw some positive love out here because as bad as I feel that’s who I am and let’s join together after all this will change things quicker than hate. I PROMISE.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

They denied me life ins, in 2016 after paying monthly payments while out on long term disability for a Bone Marrow transplant at UPENN in Philadelphia for AML, they claim that I was no longer a UPS employee, but I was and I still work for UPS 9 years. I was sent a new application in Jan 2017 when I return to UPS. And that is when they denied me due to having AML. Yes I am doing well due to the transplant, thank God. I do not have any life insurance anymore. I even call the PA insurance commission, no help at all. Never got back to me. Thank you. My name is Robert **.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I acquired a Group Life policy for myself and my husband when it was offered to me by my employer in 2000. Once I left this job in 2002, I was allowed to keep the active policy by making the required quarterly payments. Long story short, after 17 years of paying my premiums faithfully and never becoming late, they cancelled my policy on myself and my husband. They claimed they received my last payment for the year was received 3 days late. It was at Christmastime. Although they did receive my payment, they sent me a refund with the cancellation notice. After speaking with several representatives and managers and going through an appeal process I was still denied my coverage back. I was told I would have to apply for a new policy.

After repeated requests for more and more health information and having each time sent them the information, they kept telling me they never received it. This went on for approximately 3 months. I faxed it, mailed it about 4 times and they would never admit it had been received. I believe I was discriminated against because of my age. I was then 59 years old and had had some health problems and surgeries over those years. After 17 years of faithful premium payments I was cancelled. No reminder letter that they had not received a payment or a late notice letter. Just a cancellation notice. These people are crooks with no decency or morals. I had paid in thousands of dollars with about 17 cents on return. I would not recommend anyone doing business with these people. Age and health discrimination and absolutely NOT WORKING WITH LONG TIME CUSTOMERS. This company is a sham.

DO NOT EVER GET INVOLVED WITH PRUDENTIAL GROUP LIFE INSURANCE! All they will do is fleece you with higher and higher premiums based on your age bracket, going way higher at each bracket and then drop you for one payment they claim they received late. Even though they had my payment just after the due date, after 17 years and thousands of dollars later, they dropped me and then would never admit they ever received anything from me except my NEW APPLICATION which had my medical history on it. They kept saying they did not receive their requested medical information that I sent and resent 4 or 5 times. They knew I was older and now had health issues. VERY UNETHICAL COMPANY. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My fiancé was killed in a accident in April 2018 and he was on my work benefits that I put him on in January during open enrollment. I still have had no luck getting the policies paid out to me. Prudential is finding any excuse they can to not pay out my policies. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Not only do I have to try to cope day to day without my fiancé but now I’m being sued for funeral and other bills which would not be happening if Prudential would pay the policy out that I paid to have.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I feel I have no recourse other than to publicly appeal to the higher authorities at Prudential. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get my money for the last 3 months now. Talking to the people at customer services is just like talking to a broken record. Unless there is a company policy to make it impossible for anyone to get their money back, it is unbelievable how any company would deliberately treat their client like this.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Called about a policy my parents got for me at birth. Long story short after 57 yrs. It's worth $1580. Cash out option $590. In 2034 it expire! What a disgrace!!! I am so upset. This was to pay for my funeral and help my family. SO I THOUGHT... What a ripoff!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was on the phone with Prudential for about 45 minutes between at least 5 customer service representatives from different departments. They each told me that they were not the department I was looking for and transferred me to a new department. I finally spoke to a manager and she again told me the same thing, only to be sent to another department and was made to leave a message and wasn't even able to speak to a representative of the department. This type of customer service is absolutely unacceptable. Customer Service is awful.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My mother passed away in April of 2018 and I have been trying for 6 months to cash out a life insurance policy that my mother had with Prudential. Well they have made every excuse to me as why they CAN'T pay the policy. Every excuse they can come up with. They say papers not properly signed, papers not sent to them. Which are both lies because I know for a fact that all the papers were there and properly signed. Avoid this company at all cost. The policy isn't big enough to hire an attorney and I'm sure they know that. Just another company that gets rich off the little man. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My father was a retired Prudential sales representative who had an annuity policy with a lot of stocks. Also, a basic life policy as well as Prudential group insurance for working there. He passed away in late August, and basically, the only policy my mother received anything on as primary beneficiary was the basic simple life insurance. She is having no satisfaction with customer service in regards to getting anything deposited into her Alliance Bank account. When she calls, they keep telling her her social security number and pin number are not on record, haven't received any faxes, etc., and basically a pathetic run-around. Even my uncle, a retired Prudential agent as well, is trying to assist her in faxes and phone calls, and he can't believe how unbelievably lacking the customer service dept. is either.

Spoke to one man who told her that my father's policy was slated to be deposited into her Alliance account on 10/5. She asked him, "So if I call my bank, then I should expect it should be in there?" His reply was a simple, "no". And then, he interrupted her and told her, "I can send you a check right now for the entire amount." Which is what she DOESN'T want to do, so as not to owe a large tax amount.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been waiting months for them to pay a claim on deceased spouse, they keep saying it's on the way, then a week passes and they didn't send it, then they say it's under review, and this has been going on and on and on -- no end in sight! It's not right, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! This stress is the last thing you need when your spouse dies.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I'm trying to get information on my Father's life insurance policy. I sent Prudential our Power of Attorney Agreement 5 times (4 by fax to two different numbers, and once by certified mail). After acknowledging receipt, they still won't provide information, saying my Father's account is not in their system. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here holding all of the documents and letters from Prudential, literally reading them over the phone to their service reps. This is just bad customer service. They are not trained to help. They're only trained to take information and pass you along to another person. Meanwhile, my Father can't apply for Medicaid because Prudential is not supplying the information he needs to complete the paperwork.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My father passed away early this year. After spending time to mourn, my family proceeded to fill out all the required forms given to us by Prudential. The completed forms were mailed to the company and weeks go by with no response. Upon a call to Prudential, I learned the forms were placed on a desk of a worker and when they would get to it they would. Not satisfied, I was told I could fax the documents, which I did. Months would go by and every time I would call, I was told they need the same documents, again.

After myself and my father's previous employer sent in all required documents for the 3rd time, we were told the checks were going to be overnighted for all the hassle. Days would go by and no checks. With each phone call came new excuses as to "why" the checks were never sent. Prudential claiming they needed additional information from my family or previous employer. Even though they verified every form with every phone call. To this day, we still have not received my father's policy. I've spoken to every manager and Prudential still promises that the "check is in the mail". Sadly, my family has given up on receiving any money that is rightfully ours. Shame on Prudential for not making this right!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Trying to cash in 1 of my policies & have had nothing but games, runarounds, & trouble. Was told I could sign a form and mail it in, which I did. Heard nothing. I'm waiting to get a caregiver, as I'm close to 80 & have health problems. Called 6 times, told different things each time, was degraded by their "customer service" people. Makes an old lady feel bad. Was told via local office they'd overnight my check, after spending 3.5 hours proving I was who I said I was, since my signature has declined due to Parkinson's.

I had to go to the local office in my wheelchair and resign in front of them, which was fine for security reasons. Was told it'd be overnighted, even got a confirmation #. Waited 13 hours in my wheelchair near front door, in Louisiana heat, for the delivery I had a confirmation # for. No delivery or phone call. They use excuses like "the mail takes over 2 weeks to get to you", still hadn't gotten signature rejection letter. I called to check the status of my request & was told they would send it at the END of October. I had 2 caregivers set up and had to let them go. Called to complain (the call center is in the Philippines) & the "manager" told me that the local office was wrong, they would overnight the request. Who gives a package confirmation for a request? Then she tells me 5 minutes after she told me about the request that there was no request. That she saw nothing in the computer.

The manager in the Philippines then fussed at me for asking questions, constantly interrupted me by yelling at me while I was talking, and was all around rude. She got mad when I asked for her Superior above her. She tells me they are the superior. Come to find out she does have a superior boss and reluctantly connected me. I ended up speaking to the superior above her (a nice and helpful man named Royce), which is located in the United States, and he was very helpful.

This company cannot seem to get their story straight. They need to have customer service training and the managers need to learn how to speak to people. I've paid these people on time for decades and have never experienced so much trouble with a company in my entire life. If I could go back 50 years I would never invest in this company. Their call center's in the Philippines and they are very reluctant to help you, every time you call it is something different, and if you dare ask for a superior they are very rude to you. I wish I could go back and invest in any company but theirs. Avoid avoid avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My life insurance agent couldn’t add my beneficiaries on 3 attempts. Kept getting notices from Pru that it was incorrect. I just did it myself. The agent was too busy pushing a variable annuity down my throat and when I asked if he had one he never responded. Customer service is horrible and the variable life policy that I purchased 15 years ago was sold as an investment, which performed poorly. Life insurance agents need to stick to life insurance and not push high commission products. Ken ** should never recommend a variable annuity to someone who is dying and needs access to their money without any penalties or pay 3% a year in fees. Only reason why they push this product is because the insane commission of 6%. That’s 6k for selling a 100k annuity vs $180.00 commission doing the right thing for the customer. Dept of Insurance should investigate churning and illegal marketing.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

OSGLI Veteran's Life Insurance - I called to verify that my coverage had DOUBLED at my 50th birthday. I have paid for 18 years on time, since I left the military. The response that I received was "Yes, that is correct. You can cancel at any time, if you wish."

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This company has given me the runaround for months. For some reason or another, they will come up with reasons to try to cancel my policy or need large amounts of money to continue. Every time I call in, they have a different answer than the one before. They place you on hold for very large lengths of time. Have never dealt with a company this horrible.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am a Beneficiary and I have been attempting to receive funds from an account for over 6 months. Prudential has gone out of its way to disallow me this right. Their customer service is not emphatic to my situation and they make up reasons to not pay me such as saying my paperwork has expired. It's expired because you didn't process it in time! Hello! So I have to do it again. I've called and asked to speak to a supervisor, don't worry about that they have bad training. Today I spoke to a customer service agent named BeBe who was rude and unsympathetic. She just repeated the same sentence to me over and over again like a robot instead of trying to explain why or what was happening. I am in customer service management myself and I have been horrified by this company. After jumping through their hoops and hopefully actually receiving funds from my late father's account I will never do business with Prudential again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My account opened 30+ years ago is barely worth what I put into it. When calling to get help I was on the phone for over 30 minutes. Transferred a couple of times and not too much help. The corporate office sent me to one city knowing I was not there. The city office referred me back to the corporate office for a local referral. Trying to get help online is like pulling teeth with no tools and broken fingers. Pack a lunch if you are going to try to get help on the phone. If you watch their commercial about planning for a secure retirement and watch your money grow it's FALSE. They do not manage your money for you. They do it for them. DO NOT get an account of any kind with Prudential.

Original review: July 5, 2018

The company I work for gets very good rates on all of our benefits. I don't normally elect the "extra" benefits other than medical, dental and vision due to the costs. I started a new position in November 2017 and elected the "AD&D" coverage on my family. My husband was in a dirt bike accident in May 2018, I verified my coverage through my Benefits Department at work, notified them of the accident which was the beginning of this nightmare. It took the Benefits Department 11 days to send the requested information to Prudential. I felt like a tennis ball between the two of them trying to verify if the information was sent over and received.

Before Prudential received the claim information from my benefits department, they informed me that after it was received it would take 3-5 days for the claim to be approved once they received the claim form and death certificate (which was sent immediately). Well it's been 47 days ago and my file is still "pending review". First I was told they needed a copy of the accident report, which they received then I was told they needed a copy of the ME's report and toxicology report (which is going to take 3-6 months due to backlog). The claims adjuster keeps telling me reason why a determination cannot be made. Basically all this is, is a stall tactic to keep from paying out on a claim. This process should not take this long. You take policies out like this for financial reason in order to make it and pay out on expenses occurred from something like this.

My advice is to make sure and read the entire policy before taking out any life insurance or AD&D. They don't intend to give good customer service, pay out on a claim and will make every excuse possible to keep from doing what they're in business to do. Make sure and do your homework beforehand, read all of the reviews on the company, etc before giving them your money. And get everything in writing.

If you're not going to honor what you sell then you shouldn't be allowed to sell these kinds of policies and be in business. More people need to get together and stop sending their money to business like this and put them out of business. I'm still waiting on a determination, who knows when it will happen. Prudential doesn't care about their customers or their financial needs when a major life occurrence happens. All they care about is seeing how much more difficult they can make this on you in addition to everything else that's going on.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am holding a letter from Prudential dated Jan 18, 2018 explaining her paid up policy, and interest accrued over the years. In addition is the policy number. Mind you this letter is from them. Well Mom passed away and I filed a claim. I sent an original Death Certificate to which they said they didn't receive it until I said, "Ok. Well then please send me 25.00 for another." Miraculously they found it. Now I received another letter stating they need copies of her canceled checks from 1969. Really? Does anyone keep canceled checks for 40 years? I sent a 15 pages of paperwork including the last will and testament. So here it is 2 months later and no contact. No more letters. Nothing. Seriously I wouldn't buy insurance from them if they were the last insurance company left standing. The last contact from me on June 26 was that they were investigating. I won't hold my breath on that one. I am 65 so I guess my children will have to fight this one too. OMG pathetic.

Prudential expert review by Neal Frankle

This is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Prudential is headquartered in Newark, New Jersey and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information