Prudential Life Insurance
1.67/5
Based on 132 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

Prudential Life Insurance

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

138 Prudential Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Called about a policy my parents got for me at birth. Long story short after 57 yrs. It's worth $1580. Cash out option $590. In 2034 it expire! What a disgrace!!! I am so upset. This was to pay for my funeral and help my family. SO I THOUGHT... What a ripoff!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was on the phone with Prudential for about 45 minutes between at least 5 customer service representatives from different departments. They each told me that they were not the department I was looking for and transferred me to a new department. I finally spoke to a manager and she again told me the same thing, only to be sent to another department and was made to leave a message and wasn't even able to speak to a representative of the department. This type of customer service is absolutely unacceptable. Customer Service is awful.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My mother passed away in April of 2018 and I have been trying for 6 months to cash out a life insurance policy that my mother had with Prudential. Well they have made every excuse to me as why they CAN'T pay the policy. Every excuse they can come up with. They say papers not properly signed, papers not sent to them. Which are both lies because I know for a fact that all the papers were there and properly signed. Avoid this company at all cost. The policy isn't big enough to hire an attorney and I'm sure they know that. Just another company that gets rich off the little man. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My father was a retired Prudential sales representative who had an annuity policy with a lot of stocks. Also, a basic life policy as well as Prudential group insurance for working there. He passed away in late August, and basically, the only policy my mother received anything on as primary beneficiary was the basic simple life insurance. She is having no satisfaction with customer service in regards to getting anything deposited into her Alliance Bank account. When she calls, they keep telling her her social security number and pin number are not on record, haven't received any faxes, etc., and basically a pathetic run-around. Even my uncle, a retired Prudential agent as well, is trying to assist her in faxes and phone calls, and he can't believe how unbelievably lacking the customer service dept. is either.

Spoke to one man who told her that my father's policy was slated to be deposited into her Alliance account on 10/5. She asked him, "So if I call my bank, then I should expect it should be in there?" His reply was a simple, "no". And then, he interrupted her and told her, "I can send you a check right now for the entire amount." Which is what she DOESN'T want to do, so as not to owe a large tax amount.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been waiting months for them to pay a claim on deceased spouse, they keep saying it's on the way, then a week passes and they didn't send it, then they say it's under review, and this has been going on and on and on -- no end in sight! It's not right, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! This stress is the last thing you need when your spouse dies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I'm trying to get information on my Father's life insurance policy. I sent Prudential our Power of Attorney Agreement 5 times (4 by fax to two different numbers, and once by certified mail). After acknowledging receipt, they still won't provide information, saying my Father's account is not in their system. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here holding all of the documents and letters from Prudential, literally reading them over the phone to their service reps. This is just bad customer service. They are not trained to help. They're only trained to take information and pass you along to another person. Meanwhile, my Father can't apply for Medicaid because Prudential is not supplying the information he needs to complete the paperwork.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My father passed away early this year. After spending time to mourn, my family proceeded to fill out all the required forms given to us by Prudential. The completed forms were mailed to the company and weeks go by with no response. Upon a call to Prudential, I learned the forms were placed on a desk of a worker and when they would get to it they would. Not satisfied, I was told I could fax the documents, which I did. Months would go by and every time I would call, I was told they need the same documents, again.

After myself and my father's previous employer sent in all required documents for the 3rd time, we were told the checks were going to be overnighted for all the hassle. Days would go by and no checks. With each phone call came new excuses as to "why" the checks were never sent. Prudential claiming they needed additional information from my family or previous employer. Even though they verified every form with every phone call. To this day, we still have not received my father's policy. I've spoken to every manager and Prudential still promises that the "check is in the mail". Sadly, my family has given up on receiving any money that is rightfully ours. Shame on Prudential for not making this right!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Trying to cash in 1 of my policies & have had nothing but games, runarounds, & trouble. Was told I could sign a form and mail it in, which I did. Heard nothing. I'm waiting to get a caregiver, as I'm close to 80 & have health problems. Called 6 times, told different things each time, was degraded by their "customer service" people. Makes an old lady feel bad. Was told via local office they'd overnight my check, after spending 3.5 hours proving I was who I said I was, since my signature has declined due to Parkinson's.

I had to go to the local office in my wheelchair and resign in front of them, which was fine for security reasons. Was told it'd be overnighted, even got a confirmation #. Waited 13 hours in my wheelchair near front door, in Louisiana heat, for the delivery I had a confirmation # for. No delivery or phone call. They use excuses like "the mail takes over 2 weeks to get to you", still hadn't gotten signature rejection letter. I called to check the status of my request & was told they would send it at the END of October. I had 2 caregivers set up and had to let them go. Called to complain (the call center is in the Philippines) & the "manager" told me that the local office was wrong, they would overnight the request. Who gives a package confirmation for a request? Then she tells me 5 minutes after she told me about the request that there was no request. That she saw nothing in the computer.

The manager in the Philippines then fussed at me for asking questions, constantly interrupted me by yelling at me while I was talking, and was all around rude. She got mad when I asked for her Superior above her. She tells me they are the superior. Come to find out she does have a superior boss and reluctantly connected me. I ended up speaking to the superior above her (a nice and helpful man named Royce), which is located in the United States, and he was very helpful.

This company cannot seem to get their story straight. They need to have customer service training and the managers need to learn how to speak to people. I've paid these people on time for decades and have never experienced so much trouble with a company in my entire life. If I could go back 50 years I would never invest in this company. Their call center's in the Philippines and they are very reluctant to help you, every time you call it is something different, and if you dare ask for a superior they are very rude to you. I wish I could go back and invest in any company but theirs. Avoid avoid avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My life insurance agent couldn’t add my beneficiaries on 3 attempts. Kept getting notices from Pru that it was incorrect. I just did it myself. The agent was too busy pushing a variable annuity down my throat and when I asked if he had one he never responded. Customer service is horrible and the variable life policy that I purchased 15 years ago was sold as an investment, which performed poorly. Life insurance agents need to stick to life insurance and not push high commission products. Ken ** should never recommend a variable annuity to someone who is dying and needs access to their money without any penalties or pay 3% a year in fees. Only reason why they push this product is because the insane commission of 6%. That’s 6k for selling a 100k annuity vs $180.00 commission doing the right thing for the customer. Dept of Insurance should investigate churning and illegal marketing.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

OSGLI Veteran's Life Insurance - I called to verify that my coverage had DOUBLED at my 50th birthday. I have paid for 18 years on time, since I left the military. The response that I received was "Yes, that is correct. You can cancel at any time, if you wish."

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This company has given me the runaround for months. For some reason or another, they will come up with reasons to try to cancel my policy or need large amounts of money to continue. Every time I call in, they have a different answer than the one before. They place you on hold for very large lengths of time. Have never dealt with a company this horrible.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am a Beneficiary and I have been attempting to receive funds from an account for over 6 months. Prudential has gone out of its way to disallow me this right. Their customer service is not emphatic to my situation and they make up reasons to not pay me such as saying my paperwork has expired. It's expired because you didn't process it in time! Hello! So I have to do it again. I've called and asked to speak to a supervisor, don't worry about that they have bad training. Today I spoke to a customer service agent named BeBe who was rude and unsympathetic. She just repeated the same sentence to me over and over again like a robot instead of trying to explain why or what was happening. I am in customer service management myself and I have been horrified by this company. After jumping through their hoops and hopefully actually receiving funds from my late father's account I will never do business with Prudential again.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My account opened 30+ years ago is barely worth what I put into it. When calling to get help I was on the phone for over 30 minutes. Transferred a couple of times and not too much help. The corporate office sent me to one city knowing I was not there. The city office referred me back to the corporate office for a local referral. Trying to get help online is like pulling teeth with no tools and broken fingers. Pack a lunch if you are going to try to get help on the phone. If you watch their commercial about planning for a secure retirement and watch your money grow it's FALSE. They do not manage your money for you. They do it for them. DO NOT get an account of any kind with Prudential.

Original review: July 5, 2018

The company I work for gets very good rates on all of our benefits. I don't normally elect the "extra" benefits other than medical, dental and vision due to the costs. I started a new position in November 2017 and elected the "AD&D" coverage on my family. My husband was in a dirt bike accident in May 2018, I verified my coverage through my Benefits Department at work, notified them of the accident which was the beginning of this nightmare. It took the Benefits Department 11 days to send the requested information to Prudential. I felt like a tennis ball between the two of them trying to verify if the information was sent over and received.

Before Prudential received the claim information from my benefits department, they informed me that after it was received it would take 3-5 days for the claim to be approved once they received the claim form and death certificate (which was sent immediately). Well it's been 47 days ago and my file is still "pending review". First I was told they needed a copy of the accident report, which they received then I was told they needed a copy of the ME's report and toxicology report (which is going to take 3-6 months due to backlog). The claims adjuster keeps telling me reason why a determination cannot be made. Basically all this is, is a stall tactic to keep from paying out on a claim. This process should not take this long. You take policies out like this for financial reason in order to make it and pay out on expenses occurred from something like this.

My advice is to make sure and read the entire policy before taking out any life insurance or AD&D. They don't intend to give good customer service, pay out on a claim and will make every excuse possible to keep from doing what they're in business to do. Make sure and do your homework beforehand, read all of the reviews on the company, etc before giving them your money. And get everything in writing.

If you're not going to honor what you sell then you shouldn't be allowed to sell these kinds of policies and be in business. More people need to get together and stop sending their money to business like this and put them out of business. I'm still waiting on a determination, who knows when it will happen. Prudential doesn't care about their customers or their financial needs when a major life occurrence happens. All they care about is seeing how much more difficult they can make this on you in addition to everything else that's going on.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am holding a letter from Prudential dated Jan 18, 2018 explaining her paid up policy, and interest accrued over the years. In addition is the policy number. Mind you this letter is from them. Well Mom passed away and I filed a claim. I sent an original Death Certificate to which they said they didn't receive it until I said, "Ok. Well then please send me 25.00 for another." Miraculously they found it. Now I received another letter stating they need copies of her canceled checks from 1969. Really? Does anyone keep canceled checks for 40 years? I sent a 15 pages of paperwork including the last will and testament. So here it is 2 months later and no contact. No more letters. Nothing. Seriously I wouldn't buy insurance from them if they were the last insurance company left standing. The last contact from me on June 26 was that they were investigating. I won't hold my breath on that one. I am 65 so I guess my children will have to fight this one too. OMG pathetic.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I work for a health care organization that offers benefits for family members. During open enrollment this past year they finally opened up life insurance policy greater than 10,000 for spouses. Note I have always had life insurance on both of us because we have 8 children. This was the first time I could increase his policy, which took effect 1/1/18. He passed away on 2/18/18 of cardiac related event. Claim filed 3/2/18 and is being contested due to policy that allows insurance companies to do so. The insurance company has received all needed documents from me and my employer and now they are extending the contesting period. So now 129 days since his passing still no communication from insurance company. Note - I did not have a choice to select life insurance company so had to use Prudential. If you do have a choice run hard and run fast from this one.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I work for a company with 5,000 employees and they offer a 403b (same thing as 401k) as the only company sponsored retirement plan. For years I contributed thousands of dollars into it, and so has my employer. I went to log in to my account to check the balance. It said the account was "deactivated". I have no idea why, all I ever do is check the balance. It has said this for 2 weeks. I've called twice. I said, "Are other people having this issue too?" "We don't know." "Are you able to fix it for me?" "We'll look into it." I can understand a technical glitch, but why is it taking so long to fix. I'm getting concerned with the vague responses. TELL YOUR HR DEPARTMENT AND EMPLOYER NOT TO USE PRUDENTIAL FOR RETIREMENT PLANS.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Made the request 4/16/18. Approved. Week goes by, no check. I call, they need to verify my signature. I fax it. Week goes by, no check. I call, they didn't receive fax. I fax again, to 2 numbers. Week goes by, no check. I call, fax turned out 'black'. Was told to email a picture of my I.D. I do. I call the next day. Was told my check was in the mail. They SAID it was mailed... 5 days go by, I get a denial letter stating the pic of my I.D. wasn't sufficient. Nearly a month has gone by, and MY money still isn't in MY bank account. This is EXACTLY why I've always believed in ignoring inflation, and burying your money in the backyard. CROOKS!

Original review: April 6, 2018

My parents paid premiums their whole life. Incredibly extensive paperwork was required by PLI after their "normal" deaths. They requested again after they kept the originals. They won't pay out $1100.

Original review: April 2, 2018

A complete lack of responsiveness... Been trying to make an account change since November - that's over 4 months - without success. Associates that have failed to respond to the most basic questions would be Jonnete **, Riona **, Camille ** among others... If it was not for a w/d penalty I'd have bailed out of this company a LONG time ago. If your financial advisor suggests any Prudential services run fast!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Applied for this insurance and got denied right away, even got a letter that I got denied because of my pregnancy. 4 months later changed my status at work from full time to part time, got a letter from this company again saying that as a part time worker I was not eligible for insurance and my coverage would end the day I started part time. It appears that I was being charged for something I was never approved for in the first place... This company is nothing but a scam.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I am permanently and totally disabled and have been for over 9 years. Prudential continues to harass those who qualify for the waiver. The fact is that they expect Medicare to pay for the DR visit to confirm continued disability. They do not provide funds for their routine requirements. Even if Medicare pays there is always a copayment and additional charges for paperwork. I can imagine how much the American taxpayer has paid for this purpose. In my case Prudential was informed twice that I am permanently and totally disabled. Prudential should be held accountable for their part in defrauding Medicare and harassing innocent disabled senior citizens.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company takes advantage of the little people. I had a small amount of retirement money from my previous job and called to have it rolled over to my new retirement account with my new job. They said they couldn't do it because it was too soon after leaving my previous job. Months later I receive a check for 10% (I kid you not) of my balance because the other 90% was charged by Prudential in withdrawal fees. The money was withdrawn instead of rolled over, without my permission, and charging ridiculous amounts of fees. Now, I call and they can't do anything about it, because the original operator that took my call the first time I called saying I wanted a rollover to another account didn't make a note of it. Unbelievable. Do not make business with them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I signed up for a VUL policy 9 month ago for mine and my wife with the interest of life insurance protection and the investment. I had a series of meetings with this Sales agent from Prudential clearly stating my objective. I clearly told him I'm not interested in paying him outrageous fees and commissions for investment, I would rather have a simple term life insurance. He assured me repeatedly selling a VUL Insurance policy saying that the fee will be minimal for the investment after deducting the market driven insurance premium cost. I trusted him and signed up for it.

I'm reviewed my second quarterly statement and found out that they are taking more than 30% of my monthly premium as fees and admin. charges. I've been trying to reach out to him to explain this outrageous scam. He's not responding to my calls and messages. I stopped my premium starting this month until I get more clear directions and answers. I guess my hard earned 9,000$ is gone. It's supposed to be for my children's college fund. Please be aware of these kind of Prudential Sales Agents. Am I allowed to list his name and number, so that others won't get trapped into his lies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Have dealt with Prudential since my fathers stroke 4yrs ago; consistently have issues with the reimbursement for the long term care, and they consistently LOSE documents, such as POA. These are sensitive documents, how do they lose them or have no record of having received them. Feel like I’m dealing with con artists; it’s hard managing care for a parent, then you have to fight this constant red tape **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I was told I do not need a financial adviser. When the tax free withdraw over 5 years seemed to be not enough cash, I took funds out in small amounts. Now I owe a huge amount to the IRS. They already took 20% and now they want more, Prudential just sat back and watched me make these horrible mistakes. Now I am screwed. Thank you so much. At 50, what am I supposed to do now? Start over again, I'm not doing that, criminals all of them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have numerous policies with Prudential and each and everyone is unique and personal. I would NOT trade my policies to any other carrier. One of my policies I am enrolled in is since I was three (3) three years of age. I have even taken out policies for my grandchildren. To cite an example how great these policies are while I was away at college; I did not pay on my policies, but yet somehow for (4) four the premiums were paid. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased many years ago for my two children who are now adults. The boy's policy automatically converted to his ownership when he became 21 years old!! I pay the insurance premiums and tried to get this cleared up but I'm still “communicating" with them... they insist on electronic contact as the most effective and efficient but I'm an "old dog" and prefer mail and paper!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My brother passed away on Sept 13, 2017. My younger brother J is executor of his estate. He has started probate and received the Writ of Testimony that allows him the power to have access to my dead brother's assets. One of these is from Prudential Life Insurance. He has made multiple calls and so have I. We have provided all the documentation more than once. We are promised a letter with the amount that we could submit to probate. The letter never came. We called again and were told that they received none of the documentation even with the fax cover letter saying it was received at the number we were given. We had even called to make sure they received the fax and was told they had received it.

Today I called again and was told that they had not received any of the documentation so we faxed it again to the number that they requested it be sent to. I was told by the case manager Tovanna that within 30 to 60 minutes she would call back with the information that we had requested. That did not happen. We were then told it had to go to some committee and we would get it in 24-48 business hours. That did not happen either. What is up? No one at that company seems to know what they are doing. I would not personally ever use Prudential for anything and will certainly tell everyone I know and on social media to avoid them. I wish there were negative stars. I cannot express to you how awful this company is!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

For a $43,000 whole life plan converted from employer plan, the premiums are $333.51 per month payable until age 85. I am currently 70 and by the time I reach 85, I would have paid $56,363.19. To break even, I need to die before age 80. Even the conversion to a term plan that ends at age 80, the rate is $370.66. Now tell me that makes sense. A term plan with a rate bump at 5 years costs more than a whole life plan.

Prudential expert review by Neal Frankle

This is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Prudential is headquartered in Newark, New Jersey and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information