2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Prudential Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Had whole life of $200k. A representative switched me to some other kind that was less expensive but now I find not half as good. I should told him to move on or sought other advice but it was pressured that made me change.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Prudential is a stable company with many years of experience. Their leadership in offering products that satisfy your needs at an affordable price makes your decision process easier. Their advance planning for the future is solid and flexible based on your risk profile. The large portfolio is presented in a very user-friendly manner.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I only called them once to help me change my percentage of who gets what in my family if God forbid anything happens to me. The Rep guided me to the entire process. Was very patient with me, and also gave me helpful hints. It was very easy to change my allocation so my son gets a good share and my mother as well. I can rest easily now.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

This prudential insurance is really good and the customer service itself is appreciative. Does help in most of the situations. Highly recommended to friends this insurance. Worth trying it. They meet challenges and have best retirement funds. Rates are reasonably good. It helps to plan for the financial future.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

The price was right for the amount of insurance I needed. After reviewing several policies, Prudential had a policy for $250,000 that I could afford. Being a well-established insurance company with good ratings, I felt comfortable getting my policy from them.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I was denied online access for no reason and customer service was not able to assist me with this matter. Was transferred to technical support, was on hold for 3 hours, could not get hold of a live representative.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Would highly recommend you think twice before going with Prudential. Found out there was a life insurance policy on a family member that passed away YEARS ago (15+). Said it would be no problem collecting. Submitted information they requested including bank account info for beneficiaries to be paid via direct payment only to find out they don't need that info and would need to issue a check. This has gone on for 3 months. Keep getting the run around, talk to people in other countries on customer service that do not know what to do, and nobody calls back.

Prudential Issued a check a month and half into the process but to the wrong payee and we were told they would void and reissue/expedite a new check immediately. Month and half later again nothing has been done and can't get anyone to call us back. Filing a department of insurance complaint today. Would not recommend this company for life insurance unless hassle and not getting paid for months is your thing. Never seen such poor service especially from an insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Communicating with the right person about the policy is nearly impossible. You can't cancel your policy and the automatic payments of your own policy and your own debit account by yourself. In order to cancel a policy you may talk to several rude people that will transfer you several times and will tell you they are completing your request; in my case, when I called back to confirm cancellation I had to go through the same transferring game and the same misinformation I had to go through the first time around only to discover that they DID not process any of my requests. This appears to be an intentional way to continue the policy active so they continue collecting their payment.

I have had the worst experience with this company from beginning to end. They don't care about your policy or the customer, they focus on ensuring they get customers paying a monthly fee, a monthly fee they have to cancel on their end! Other reviews in the BBB show people equally disgusted with how they found complete unprofessionalism, unethical and frustration when trying to collect on a policy.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I was advised it would take 5-7 business days when I first inquired about an open claim. Second call was made 3 wks later. I accepted the 45 mins of wait time but felt it was unprofessional to pick up my call and continue the process with 27 minutes of dead air while the agent was live, pulling up the policy details. Once she acknowledged me, she gave a total contradiction to the last update, leaving me to believe items are "past due". Said she had to speak with her manager which of course caused concern that something was left neglect but when she called back all she could say was "everything is in order, exactly how it should be" and then hung up on me without providing further clarification on any possible pending items. Still unsure how long this process is actually going to take.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I contacted Prudential to file a life claim after my mother’s death in October 2020. I am the contingent beneficiary of her life insurance policy, as my father, the primary beneficiary, passed away long ago in 2003, and I presumed I would need to offer a death certificate, or at least a copy of, of either or both my deceased mother and/or father. Prudential claims to record their phone calls, they WILL have a record of this, as will those customers that ALSO record phone calls of this importance. At NO TIME did this Prudential rep ask for a death certificate. And I have them, both mother and father, and I told them this. Instead, I was asked to hold while the rep did some mumbo jumbo. Apparently, all they did, and this is also recorded conversation, is look up an obituary, which, it’s important to note, linked to the FUNERAL HOME, which Prudential claims on their website is important to submit when filing a claim.

Sidenote: During at least three phone calls with Prudential, at no time was the rep ever able to find my mother’s insurance policy by the policy number; a number THEY assigned to her as far back as 1984. I have the policy itself. I do not know at what point Prudential lost the number that they themselves gave her policy.

By end of phone call and answering questions, this Prudential representative said they would file this life claim and that I would receive a check in 5 to ten business days for approximately $30,000. I received the check on approximately December 7th, 2020 and immediately deposited it in my bank account, under the usual condition that a check that size would deposit $5,500 first, and the rest would be deposited within about week, after it had cleared both banks. On December 9th, my debit card was declined, possibly insufficient funds I was told, and I logged into my online banking to find a strange error code on my account; it said Exception Item Hold. Very much startled by this I called my bank, and they told me Prudential had put a stop on payment of the check THEY had just issued me.

I contacted Prudential, and again, under one can very safely presume a recorded conversation, they actually told me that the representative I first contacted regarding the life claims SHOULD NOT have processed it without a death certificate, but somehow this life claim continued to run up the chain of command, getting approved all along the way, a check was written out to me, sent to me via mail, and then someone in this chain of chaos decides to STOP payment on this check.

That is SEVERAL layers of ineptitude. NO ONE during all of this bothered to contact me, and they have my phone number, they asked for it! They even had a home number of the deceased at the same address that I live at, a number that’s been active for 35 years, and at a same address for over 20 years, about an significant problem processing a life claim on a policy that the premiums have been dutifully paid to Prudential for at least 36 years. You have received those premium payments on time and consistently, didn’t you Prudential? You sure as hell did.

But, Prudential repays this loyalty with not one phone call, email, nothing. But it only gets worse. This new representative tells me they have reissued a check to me on the very same day I called to inquire about this whole mess. What a coincidence! December 9th, for roughly the same amount, and again, no explanation for the slightly different amount, and no explanation for why they are reissuing it all considering they claimed that they needed those death certificates and I have still not yet submitted any death certificates. They claimed that after they noted the mistake of not asking for a death certificate they actually called the funeral home itself. And got what exactly? A death certificate? Doubtful. Since when is it the funeral homes responsibility to do this? It is not.

So, apparently, googling through obituaries, which is all the first representative did, and they admit to this, wasn’t enough, and they are now telling me that just contacting the funeral home is sufficient? If that was enough, the obituary directly LINKED TO THE FUNERAL HOME! And what about that death certificate you SAID you needed? Suddenly not necessary now? Prudential said on the recorded conversation that they stopped payment on the check because there was not death certificate, and THEN they say they are reissuing another check but DO NOT apparently need a death certificate to do so. Ok, so how does one know whether this second check that may or may not be coming to me is worth the paper it’s printed on. Perhaps, Prudential will yet again stop payment on their own check based on rules they can’t understand themselves, and don’t abide by and could care less how they affect their customers.

And, Prudential, just want you to know by the conversation I had with my bank, that it appears you might have also admitted to an entire financial institution that you stopped payment on the check because a death certificate was not submitted. I would think this would be worrisome to you considering that your website claims that submitting a death certificate MAY be required, and worse than that, as you go further into submitting an online claim, your own website does not list a death certificate as a required document for processing AT ALL! Heck, I was only going to spend the next 20 years warning my family, friends, and anyone who would listen online to stay away from Prudential. Well, now you’ve shown even a major banking institution that you’re either incompetent or don’t follow your own guidelines.

Here’s the damage report for which I’m sure Prudential will care less about, but for which I WILL be proceeding to contact legal representation about and WILL be willing to spend any amount needed to see rectified, and will be, since I’m retired and have plenty of time on my hands, be willing to spread the news of this injustice about on any and every platform I can find. (And I look forward to your response, because if there is a singly contrarian note in it, it will very obviously be a fabrication. You screwed up big time, pure and simple.)

Unfortunately for me, but also not surprising, this is the way it goes with deaths, the joint account I held with my mother was shutdown, and now pending Payment on Death of the remaining funds in that account. That’s fine, no problem, but what it also meant was that the funds I held in another account, the one I tried to deposit Prudential’s bogus check in to, had limited funds. Limited, but with the addition of the first installment of 5,500.00 dollars, which is common to do with a check the size Prudential sent me; to deposit 5,500.00 at first, pending approval later from both banks before the entire 30,000 plus is deposited.

Well, I paid a significant sum on a credit care and made a money down on a care, and guess what Prudential? You just sabotaged all of that. Credit score screwed, and car transaction in jeopardy. As I told the Prudential supervisor on the phone, Chris, calmly but firmly. An apology over the phone from some Prudential nobody will not be nearly enough to rectify the financial damage you have caused someone who did NOTHING wrong.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Prudential author review by Neal Frankle

Prudential is a financial services conglomerate that first started operations in 1875. Headquartered in Newark, New Jersey, Prudential is and is a Fortune 500 company offering life insurance, annuities and investments to consumers.

• Variety of products: They offer a full range of insurance products.

• Competitive: They are often very competitive among other life insurance providers.

• Highly rated: They are rated highly by many of the rating agencies such as AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Mood’s Investors Service, and Fitch.

• Options: Customers who deal directly with Prudential will only be offered Prudential products.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information