2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Prudential Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Had whole life of $200k. A representative switched me to some other kind that was less expensive but now I find not half as good. I should told him to move on or sought other advice but it was pressured that made me change.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Prudential is a stable company with many years of experience. Their leadership in offering products that satisfy your needs at an affordable price makes your decision process easier. Their advance planning for the future is solid and flexible based on your risk profile. The large portfolio is presented in a very user-friendly manner.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I only called them once to help me change my percentage of who gets what in my family if God forbid anything happens to me. The Rep guided me to the entire process. Was very patient with me, and also gave me helpful hints. It was very easy to change my allocation so my son gets a good share and my mother as well. I can rest easily now.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

This prudential insurance is really good and the customer service itself is appreciative. Does help in most of the situations. Highly recommended to friends this insurance. Worth trying it. They meet challenges and have best retirement funds. Rates are reasonably good. It helps to plan for the financial future.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

The price was right for the amount of insurance I needed. After reviewing several policies, Prudential had a policy for $250,000 that I could afford. Being a well-established insurance company with good ratings, I felt comfortable getting my policy from them.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I contacted Prudential to file a life claim after my mother’s death in October 2020. I am the contingent beneficiary of her life insurance policy, as my father, the primary beneficiary, passed away long ago in 2003, and I presumed I would need to offer a death certificate, or at least a copy of, of either or both my deceased mother and/or father. Prudential claims to record their phone calls, they WILL have a record of this, as will those customers that ALSO record phone calls of this importance. At NO TIME did this Prudential rep ask for a death certificate. And I have them, both mother and father, and I told them this. Instead, I was asked to hold while the rep did some mumbo jumbo. Apparently, all they did, and this is also recorded conversation, is look up an obituary, which, it’s important to note, linked to the FUNERAL HOME, which Prudential claims on their website is important to submit when filing a claim.

Sidenote: During at least three phone calls with Prudential, at no time was the rep ever able to find my mother’s insurance policy by the policy number; a number THEY assigned to her as far back as 1984. I have the policy itself. I do not know at what point Prudential lost the number that they themselves gave her policy.

By end of phone call and answering questions, this Prudential representative said they would file this life claim and that I would receive a check in 5 to ten business days for approximately $30,000. I received the check on approximately December 7th, 2020 and immediately deposited it in my bank account, under the usual condition that a check that size would deposit $5,500 first, and the rest would be deposited within about week, after it had cleared both banks. On December 9th, my debit card was declined, possibly insufficient funds I was told, and I logged into my online banking to find a strange error code on my account; it said Exception Item Hold. Very much startled by this I called my bank, and they told me Prudential had put a stop on payment of the check THEY had just issued me.

I contacted Prudential, and again, under one can very safely presume a recorded conversation, they actually told me that the representative I first contacted regarding the life claims SHOULD NOT have processed it without a death certificate, but somehow this life claim continued to run up the chain of command, getting approved all along the way, a check was written out to me, sent to me via mail, and then someone in this chain of chaos decides to STOP payment on this check.

That is SEVERAL layers of ineptitude. NO ONE during all of this bothered to contact me, and they have my phone number, they asked for it! They even had a home number of the deceased at the same address that I live at, a number that’s been active for 35 years, and at a same address for over 20 years, about an significant problem processing a life claim on a policy that the premiums have been dutifully paid to Prudential for at least 36 years. You have received those premium payments on time and consistently, didn’t you Prudential? You sure as hell did.

But, Prudential repays this loyalty with not one phone call, email, nothing. But it only gets worse. This new representative tells me they have reissued a check to me on the very same day I called to inquire about this whole mess. What a coincidence! December 9th, for roughly the same amount, and again, no explanation for the slightly different amount, and no explanation for why they are reissuing it all considering they claimed that they needed those death certificates and I have still not yet submitted any death certificates. They claimed that after they noted the mistake of not asking for a death certificate they actually called the funeral home itself. And got what exactly? A death certificate? Doubtful. Since when is it the funeral homes responsibility to do this? It is not.

So, apparently, googling through obituaries, which is all the first representative did, and they admit to this, wasn’t enough, and they are now telling me that just contacting the funeral home is sufficient? If that was enough, the obituary directly LINKED TO THE FUNERAL HOME! And what about that death certificate you SAID you needed? Suddenly not necessary now? Prudential said on the recorded conversation that they stopped payment on the check because there was not death certificate, and THEN they say they are reissuing another check but DO NOT apparently need a death certificate to do so. Ok, so how does one know whether this second check that may or may not be coming to me is worth the paper it’s printed on. Perhaps, Prudential will yet again stop payment on their own check based on rules they can’t understand themselves, and don’t abide by and could care less how they affect their customers.

And, Prudential, just want you to know by the conversation I had with my bank, that it appears you might have also admitted to an entire financial institution that you stopped payment on the check because a death certificate was not submitted. I would think this would be worrisome to you considering that your website claims that submitting a death certificate MAY be required, and worse than that, as you go further into submitting an online claim, your own website does not list a death certificate as a required document for processing AT ALL! Heck, I was only going to spend the next 20 years warning my family, friends, and anyone who would listen online to stay away from Prudential. Well, now you’ve shown even a major banking institution that you’re either incompetent or don’t follow your own guidelines.

Here’s the damage report for which I’m sure Prudential will care less about, but for which I WILL be proceeding to contact legal representation about and WILL be willing to spend any amount needed to see rectified, and will be, since I’m retired and have plenty of time on my hands, be willing to spread the news of this injustice about on any and every platform I can find. (And I look forward to your response, because if there is a singly contrarian note in it, it will very obviously be a fabrication. You screwed up big time, pure and simple.)

Unfortunately for me, but also not surprising, this is the way it goes with deaths, the joint account I held with my mother was shutdown, and now pending Payment on Death of the remaining funds in that account. That’s fine, no problem, but what it also meant was that the funds I held in another account, the one I tried to deposit Prudential’s bogus check in to, had limited funds. Limited, but with the addition of the first installment of 5,500.00 dollars, which is common to do with a check the size Prudential sent me; to deposit 5,500.00 at first, pending approval later from both banks before the entire 30,000 plus is deposited.

Well, I paid a significant sum on a credit care and made a money down on a care, and guess what Prudential? You just sabotaged all of that. Credit score screwed, and car transaction in jeopardy. As I told the Prudential supervisor on the phone, Chris, calmly but firmly. An apology over the phone from some Prudential nobody will not be nearly enough to rectify the financial damage you have caused someone who did NOTHING wrong.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

My mother passed away in September leaving a small life insurance policy between three siblings. Prudential told all of us that they sent letters out to us about my deceased mother's policy. Funny thing is that not one of us received this letter. My first sister had no problems getting her money. My other sister was livid with them for lying about the letter. She received her check two weeks later. I haven’t received my check yet. It’s been over a month since I emailed them my claim. I have called several times and they keep putting me off. Half the time I can’t hear them nor can I understand what they're saying. This is unacceptable! I feel like the company is stalling on their payouts. Also I am tired of them telling me they're sorry for my loss! Just pay the claim!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

The policy is very flexible. It covers all health conditions and now they also added cover for Covid-19. The premium is cheaper and installments are durable. Claiming process is also fast and supports online.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I wish there were negative stars!!! I’ve had HORRIBLE customer service. My representative is impossible to get ahold of and won’t return my messages. It took 3 extra months to get my policy active because of this. I’ve been sent in circles for another 3 months trying to get answers for a random charge from Prudential. I finally get ahold of someone and they are impatient and unfriendly. As soon as this issue is resolved I will IMMEDIATELY stop business with them. DO NOT use prudential life insurance!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Rates for large face value term life insurance policy are very competitive. But when I recently wanted to reduce the face value it took 4 phone calls, over an hour total wait time on the phone, discrepancies in the responses as to what I needed to do to make it happen and dealing with a rude representative who almost hung up on me when I said their instructions differed from the first rep I with whom I spoke. So if you want great or even good customer service, this isn’t the company. If the most important thing to you is rates, they’re great.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Prudential is way too expensive. I have a 100,000 dollar policy with them that I am paying the same that I pay for a 500,000 dollar policy that I have with a different company. Also, the customer service is beyond bad. I called once to get some questions answered. It took two weeks for an agent to call me back.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I have a life insurance policy for my adult child, the premium is super inexpensive. It is beneficial the purchase the policy while the insured is very young. This company has been around forever. I would purchase another policy again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have had Prudential Insurance in my family all my life and have never been left without a knowledgeable and helpful servicing agent. They have competitive prices and great service which keeps them a leader in the industry.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I was cashing out a life insurance policy from 1953. Over 20 calls to customer service trying to trace request. All customer service reps in foreign country and communication skills are weak. No one available to speak with after 2pm west coast time. Request for cash out originally dated July 7,2020. Check might be processed today - August 19,2020. Avoid this company at all costs - find a company with west coast hours, appropriately trained reps, and easy to understand representatives and supervisors who will deal with questions. Never will I deal with Prudential again.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have had this life insurance for almost 40 years. In early April I tried to change my beneficiaries. It took over 2 months to do this with multiple phone calls and letters. Super frustrating! The only good thing to come out of this was I got my very own customer service rep after writing a letter of complaint to the company. Even she got frustrated with her own company! If I didn't have so many years invested in this life insurance I would've just quit. Honestly, I would rather die than have to contact Prudential again.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information