Prudential Life Insurance

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

This process has been an absolute nightmare and has been reported to our state insurance office. We contacted Prudential on 9/12/2023 to let them know my Mom had passed. On 9/19 we sent over and they received the claim form they stated they needed and the death certificate. I was then told it would process in 30 business days. I was also told the policy was for 15K. I started calling again the week of 10/19 to receive updates and every time I call I get a different answer.

When I called on 10/20 I was told the check would be received in 7-10 business days. When I called on 10/30 I was told that is not the case and they need to speak to my brother and sister (first time I am hearing this information). When my sister called they said she was all set but now the policy is for 26K? Then my brother called and spoke with someone else and they said he was all set but now they also said Mom had a 30K accidental death policy we were owed. I called back to ask why everyone is getting different information and was told "I don't know" AND now they need forms from my me and my brother.

My form was esigned on 10/30 and the other form was emailed on 11/1. I called on 11/1 and was told they have everything they need and it would be 3-5 business days and the check would be overnighted and she would call me back (she didn't). I called this morning, 11/2, was told THEY DON"T HAVE THE NEW FORMS ON FILE and nothing is being processed yet. I am supposed to get a call from the case manager's supervisor at 12PM EST today but who knows. Also, they are not located in the US so there is definitely a language barrier. I am hoping the supervisor is someone in the US.

Every time I call I get different information from different people. No one can really tell me what is going on and I have never received any written documentation about anything, which is probably on purpose from their end. Not only has their behavior been abhorrent, they should be held to a higher standard as they are speaking with and "helping" people during some of the worst times of their lives. RUN from this company.

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

My husband and I both had requests processed on our accounts on the same day. I received my information as promised in 5-7 business days. We are at the 25 day mark and 4 phone calls later to be told that it may take an additional 5-7 business days to re-do the original request. Therefore we will be at the 1 month mark to complete what was promised to be corrected in an overnight transaction. We waited on hold for over 25 minutes each time to speak to an agent only to get put on hold again because no one knew what to do to correct the problem. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2023

Poor customer service. Failed to follow up after speaking to one of their representatives who informed me that that they were waiting to receive some information. Never heard back anything at anytime.

Reviewed July 31, 2023

I've spent 3+ hours and called 3 different numbers for a simple online account reset. I've waited on hold multiple times as I'm transferred around. No one seems to be able to help me and no one is sure what department is supposed to help me. Every time I'm transferred to a new department, I wait on hold again. AWFUL CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.

PriceStaff

Reviewed April 18, 2023

I bought my mom a life insurance 20 yrs ago from a certified agent (Irma). For 20 yrs I made payments right on time. 20 yrs later they tell me the premium has to go up to $685.00 from $70.00 per month. They claim the policy I got would change after 18yrs. So to keep up to date I needed to pay $685.00 month. There is no way people nowadays can afford $685.00 per month for a life insurance. I asked what could be done, they told me if I wanted I could surrender the account and get $1893.00 which was the cash value. I surrender the account after reaching out to the agent that sold me the policy and there was nothing else that could be done. I get a final check and it's $300.00 less than the cash value. They had surrender charges added. They screw you over 20 yrs and they still charge you surrender charges. Shame on you Prudential. And shame in all the people that work there. What you do is wrong..

Reviewed April 4, 2023

My aunt held a life insurance policy since 1967. She passed in Jan. and I have been getting the run-around about paying the claim ever since. 6 times I have been assured that the check would be "processed and mailed," each time having to repeat all information as if it was a new claim. My father worked for Prudential for decades and, in fact, sold this policy to my aunt almost 60 years ago. It's almost like they are trying NOT to pay it. Absolutely outrageous. Today I was again given the "processed and mailed" speech, with assurances it would be in my hands by Friday. We'll see.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed March 30, 2023

I always want to gave big time company the opportunity to get their information coordinated company correct. I purchase a life insurance policy from Prudential 38 years ago. I became disabled in 2021 so I applied for waiver of my premiums which is 31 dollars a month. Was approved only for Aug 2021 until February 2023. I only want to know since I will be 66 years in April. Was they going to waive my policy premiums? I called 10 times, got disconnected 6 times and was on the phone for 2.5 hours. Nobody knew the answer and nobody could speak English and was transferred to another state or country.

The connection was horrible so I called from another phone. Still so much incompetent but I was not giving up. Only wanted to ask two questions. Asked when I make 66 years will they waive my premium instead it going up from 31 a month to 165 a month. Who in the hell can afford this? My life insurance is only 50,000 and I been paying the 31 dollars for 38 years. They know nobody will accept you if you 66 years and disabled. They counting on you not to be able to pay that high amount so your policy will collapse and you have nothing after paying on it for 38 years so please beware of how the life insurance company Prudential is getting over on people.

I asked for a supervisor 8 times. Could not get one on the phone and always bad connection so when I turn 66 years on April 27 my future payment will be 165 dollars. Only will to waive premium from Aug 2021 until February 2023 and after that you on your own. So damn unfair. I was not looking for any back pay. Just wanted my monthly premium waived. No that’s not what they will do. So please read your life insurance policy and do not purchase one from Prudential. The longer you live the more you learn and these companies is ripping people off and stealing money. They would rather you die before they honor the policies. The life insurance policy is for your family to bury you and pay off any debt.

They all know you can not afford it when you become disabled and on Social Security Disability. I hate feeling like they won after paying them for 38 years. If anyone know how I can make Prudential be honest and waive my 165 premium until I die and stop the ** share your thoughts. That calling back and forth is a disaster and they make sure you get disconnected and they never call back. Share please thoughts if you can help!!

Staff

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2023

First, it took them 6 months to roll an IRA out and into my workplace 401(k). Major frustration between my HR and the local Prudential office. The agent tried to get me to roll my $1mil 401(k) to them. My Prudential IRA made less than $2k in 35 years. I decided to cash out my life insurance policy after my husband died. In the 6 days it took them to mail me the forms that I faxed back the day I received them, it lost nearly $1k in value. When I spoke to the representative and filled out the form, I stated I wanted 15% taken out for taxes. They only took out 8.8%.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2023

I contacted them by phone several times to file a claim for my mother's life insurance. I sent them the paperwork they requested and then received a letter from them a month later, stating they required my family to go to probate court to get a form stating estate executorship. The death certificate, copy of the will stating legal executorship, and being named beneficiaries on their paperwork isn't enough for them. They said court is costly, and we have to do it if we want to even start closing my mother's account. It's been 3 months already of back and forth with them. I've read other people have had this same experience. All 15 other accounts my mother had were resolved easily and quickly. They are horrible and just laugh at your complaints telling you good luck. They should be ashamed of themselves when parents and families work their entire lives to save a little for their children, and then they make it next to impossible for the beneficiaries to make a claim.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2023

This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I submitted my claim when my mom passed away almost a year ago and we have made no progress. Customer service cannot answer any simple question without putting you on hold. They say they haven't received documents, after I insist and will not get off the phone, they have they eventually always find them. They tell me they have sent letters to me, only a few states away, and I won't receive them for months or never receive them at all. In December I got 5 of the same letter from them all in one day. They were dated as July 5th. I submitted all the same information to MetLife and another company at the same time and they paid out within weeks with no problem.

It took months to finally receive my claim packet and multiple phone calls to even have it actually sent to me. Their mailings has also repeatedly been printed off center and contained grammatical errors, which makes me very nervous giving them all my personal information. Prudential has sent me several letters saying they have not received a final death certificate and then when I call they tell me they received in months ago and they need further information.. When I ask what information the customer service rep is unable to communicate to me what exactly they need. Every question I ask results in being put on hold. With matters as serious as life insurance death claims I would expect a company to have customer service that is fluent in English or knows anything about how the company they work for operates. They also close their offices at 2pm Pacific Time so they are incredibly hard to get ahold of.

The mixed information I receive over the phone and through the mail has been incredibly frustrating, as well as letters not showing up to my house until months after they are dated are printed. Coming up on a year after my mom's death next month, I am worried I will have to seek legal help in order to get this claim paid to me. This has been an absolute nightmare to deal with while also grieving and I have a feeling it nowhere near close to being paid out. Please DO NOT choose Prudential and possibly put your loved ones through what I have been through so far to with this company.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2022

Prudential cashed my check for full payment of insurance. I never received a letter of lapse payment they claimed nor termination. Today, in the month of November 2022, their representative stated they have terminated my policy due to no payment and that I have to prove payment was sent. I sent images of checks cashed and now I am waiting more than 2 weeks. I have gone through thorough bank statements and check images yet this company did not respond.

Reviewed July 29, 2022

Prudential gave me a pre-life insurance medical exam and then offered me a premium scheduled to begin in 2023, instead, they took the premium out right away. After telling them several times that my life insurance isn't suppose to start until 2023, they cancelled the policy offer. I have never dealt with a more inept company in my life and probably never will again.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed July 23, 2022

I have had a problem making re-occurring payments to Prudential Life Insurance. They do not take debit cards, If you miss a payment and need to make back payments you have to call them. I have nearly a perfect credit rating. I make my payments one way or another. But I have to say of any company I make payments to they are by far the most difficult to work with. Odd given today's day and age where many places take all sorts of payment methods. Some even have you pay the extra charge for it. Not Prudential. I am guessing they want you to drop the coverage after a person reaches a certain age. If you have other options and all things being equal I would advise not working with as you will be stuck with these types of problems for 20+ years. Very frustrating.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2022

Record keeping is awful! When you call the customer support number you wait forever and then the calls are routed to South Africa or other countries and they might not be able to speak very good English, hard to understand and poor connections. This is a US-based company and calls should be answered here in the states, not in foreign country. This practice is very wrong and should be against the law. Please consider all other options before Prudential.

Coverage

Reviewed July 29, 2021

Prudential is nothing but crooks and thieves. Never buy ANY insurance from Prudential. I got a small whole life policy many years ago to pay my funeral costs when I die. AFTER that purchase I got married. 13 years later I got divorced. IT TOOK 17 YEARS OF ARGUING WITH PRUDENTIAL TO TAKE MY EX-HUSBAND OFF THAT POLICY AS BENEFICIARY. That's right, 17 years. I wanted my brother as beneficiary and Prudential refused repeatedly in spite of the fact that I got this policy BY MYSELF before I was married and originally my dad was beneficiary until he died. And still, as of right now, Prudential REFUSES TO PAY ME THE DIVIDENDS. Instead they force me to buy more and more insurance every year with those dividends even though I have more than enough coverage in that policy to buy the fanciest funeral that I do NOT want. Prudential insurance agents are SCUM.

Reviewed April 1, 2021

I was denied online access for no reason and customer service was not able to assist me with this matter. Was transferred to technical support, was on hold for 3 hours, could not get hold of a live representative.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 29, 2021

Would highly recommend you think twice before going with Prudential. Found out there was a life insurance policy on a family member that passed away YEARS ago (15+). Said it would be no problem collecting. Submitted information they requested including bank account info for beneficiaries to be paid via direct payment only to find out they don't need that info and would need to issue a check. This has gone on for 3 months. Keep getting the run around, talk to people in other countries on customer service that do not know what to do, and nobody calls back.

Prudential Issued a check a month and half into the process but to the wrong payee and we were told they would void and reissue/expedite a new check immediately. Month and half later again nothing has been done and can't get anyone to call us back. Filing a department of insurance complaint today. Would not recommend this company for life insurance unless hassle and not getting paid for months is your thing. Never seen such poor service especially from an insurance company.

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2021

Communicating with the right person about the policy is nearly impossible. You can't cancel your policy and the automatic payments of your own policy and your own debit account by yourself. In order to cancel a policy you may talk to several rude people that will transfer you several times and will tell you they are completing your request; in my case, when I called back to confirm cancellation I had to go through the same transferring game and the same misinformation I had to go through the first time around only to discover that they DID not process any of my requests. This appears to be an intentional way to continue the policy active so they continue collecting their payment.

I have had the worst experience with this company from beginning to end. They don't care about your policy or the customer, they focus on ensuring they get customers paying a monthly fee, a monthly fee they have to cancel on their end! Other reviews in the BBB show people equally disgusted with how they found complete unprofessionalism, unethical and frustration when trying to collect on a policy.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2021

Had whole life of $200k. A representative switched me to some other kind that was less expensive but now I find not half as good. I should told him to move on or sought other advice but it was pressured that made me change.

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2021

I was advised it would take 5-7 business days when I first inquired about an open claim. Second call was made 3 wks later. I accepted the 45 mins of wait time but felt it was unprofessional to pick up my call and continue the process with 27 minutes of dead air while the agent was live, pulling up the policy details. Once she acknowledged me, she gave a total contradiction to the last update, leaving me to believe items are "past due". Said she had to speak with her manager which of course caused concern that something was left neglect but when she called back all she could say was "everything is in order, exactly how it should be" and then hung up on me without providing further clarification on any possible pending items. Still unsure how long this process is actually going to take.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2020

I contacted Prudential to file a life claim after my mother’s death in October 2020. I am the contingent beneficiary of her life insurance policy, as my father, the primary beneficiary, passed away long ago in 2003, and I presumed I would need to offer a death certificate, or at least a copy of, of either or both my deceased mother and/or father. Prudential claims to record their phone calls, they WILL have a record of this, as will those customers that ALSO record phone calls of this importance. At NO TIME did this Prudential rep ask for a death certificate. And I have them, both mother and father, and I told them this. Instead, I was asked to hold while the rep did some mumbo jumbo. Apparently, all they did, and this is also recorded conversation, is look up an obituary, which, it’s important to note, linked to the FUNERAL HOME, which Prudential claims on their website is important to submit when filing a claim.

Sidenote: During at least three phone calls with Prudential, at no time was the rep ever able to find my mother’s insurance policy by the policy number; a number THEY assigned to her as far back as 1984. I have the policy itself. I do not know at what point Prudential lost the number that they themselves gave her policy.

By end of phone call and answering questions, this Prudential representative said they would file this life claim and that I would receive a check in 5 to ten business days for approximately $30,000. I received the check on approximately December 7th, 2020 and immediately deposited it in my bank account, under the usual condition that a check that size would deposit $5,500 first, and the rest would be deposited within about week, after it had cleared both banks. On December 9th, my debit card was declined, possibly insufficient funds I was told, and I logged into my online banking to find a strange error code on my account; it said Exception Item Hold. Very much startled by this I called my bank, and they told me Prudential had put a stop on payment of the check THEY had just issued me.

I contacted Prudential, and again, under one can very safely presume a recorded conversation, they actually told me that the representative I first contacted regarding the life claims SHOULD NOT have processed it without a death certificate, but somehow this life claim continued to run up the chain of command, getting approved all along the way, a check was written out to me, sent to me via mail, and then someone in this chain of chaos decides to STOP payment on this check.

That is SEVERAL layers of ineptitude. NO ONE during all of this bothered to contact me, and they have my phone number, they asked for it! They even had a home number of the deceased at the same address that I live at, a number that’s been active for 35 years, and at a same address for over 20 years, about an significant problem processing a life claim on a policy that the premiums have been dutifully paid to Prudential for at least 36 years. You have received those premium payments on time and consistently, didn’t you Prudential? You sure as hell did.

But, Prudential repays this loyalty with not one phone call, email, nothing. But it only gets worse. This new representative tells me they have reissued a check to me on the very same day I called to inquire about this whole mess. What a coincidence! December 9th, for roughly the same amount, and again, no explanation for the slightly different amount, and no explanation for why they are reissuing it all considering they claimed that they needed those death certificates and I have still not yet submitted any death certificates. They claimed that after they noted the mistake of not asking for a death certificate they actually called the funeral home itself. And got what exactly? A death certificate? Doubtful. Since when is it the funeral homes responsibility to do this? It is not.

So, apparently, googling through obituaries, which is all the first representative did, and they admit to this, wasn’t enough, and they are now telling me that just contacting the funeral home is sufficient? If that was enough, the obituary directly LINKED TO THE FUNERAL HOME! And what about that death certificate you SAID you needed? Suddenly not necessary now? Prudential said on the recorded conversation that they stopped payment on the check because there was not death certificate, and THEN they say they are reissuing another check but DO NOT apparently need a death certificate to do so. Ok, so how does one know whether this second check that may or may not be coming to me is worth the paper it’s printed on. Perhaps, Prudential will yet again stop payment on their own check based on rules they can’t understand themselves, and don’t abide by and could care less how they affect their customers.

And, Prudential, just want you to know by the conversation I had with my bank, that it appears you might have also admitted to an entire financial institution that you stopped payment on the check because a death certificate was not submitted. I would think this would be worrisome to you considering that your website claims that submitting a death certificate MAY be required, and worse than that, as you go further into submitting an online claim, your own website does not list a death certificate as a required document for processing AT ALL! Heck, I was only going to spend the next 20 years warning my family, friends, and anyone who would listen online to stay away from Prudential. Well, now you’ve shown even a major banking institution that you’re either incompetent or don’t follow your own guidelines.

Here’s the damage report for which I’m sure Prudential will care less about, but for which I WILL be proceeding to contact legal representation about and WILL be willing to spend any amount needed to see rectified, and will be, since I’m retired and have plenty of time on my hands, be willing to spread the news of this injustice about on any and every platform I can find. (And I look forward to your response, because if there is a singly contrarian note in it, it will very obviously be a fabrication. You screwed up big time, pure and simple.)

Unfortunately for me, but also not surprising, this is the way it goes with deaths, the joint account I held with my mother was shutdown, and now pending Payment on Death of the remaining funds in that account. That’s fine, no problem, but what it also meant was that the funds I held in another account, the one I tried to deposit Prudential’s bogus check in to, had limited funds. Limited, but with the addition of the first installment of 5,500.00 dollars, which is common to do with a check the size Prudential sent me; to deposit 5,500.00 at first, pending approval later from both banks before the entire 30,000 plus is deposited.

Well, I paid a significant sum on a credit care and made a money down on a care, and guess what Prudential? You just sabotaged all of that. Credit score screwed, and car transaction in jeopardy. As I told the Prudential supervisor on the phone, Chris, calmly but firmly. An apology over the phone from some Prudential nobody will not be nearly enough to rectify the financial damage you have caused someone who did NOTHING wrong.

Price

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2020

Prudential is a stable company with many years of experience. Their leadership in offering products that satisfy your needs at an affordable price makes your decision process easier. Their advance planning for the future is solid and flexible based on your risk profile. The large portfolio is presented in a very user-friendly manner.

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2020

My mother passed away in September leaving a small life insurance policy between three siblings. Prudential told all of us that they sent letters out to us about my deceased mother's policy. Funny thing is that not one of us received this letter. My first sister had no problems getting her money. My other sister was livid with them for lying about the letter. She received her check two weeks later. I haven’t received my check yet. It’s been over a month since I emailed them my claim. I have called several times and they keep putting me off. Half the time I can’t hear them nor can I understand what they're saying. This is unacceptable! I feel like the company is stalling on their payouts. Also I am tired of them telling me they're sorry for my loss! Just pay the claim!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2020

I wish to file a complaint against:

PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE
    Prudential Corp
    751 Broad Street

Newark, NJ  07102

I have over 20 years invested in my life insurance policy with Prudential. Due to the irresponsible staff, they not only combined my account with another client TWICE IN ONE YEAR I was informed ONE YEAR ago AND FRIDAY SEPT 4 2020, my investments are non existent. My account of over 20 years has been cancelled A SECOND TIME!!! I have proof with my financial institution my timely payments!

When the customer care representative, Friday September 4 2020, confirmed my name address and phone number, when I provided my Contract number, they associated my account with someone else. the customer care representatives also informed me my account has been cancelled and I have $0. balance in my account.

This is the SECOND and FINAL TIME, I want every penny I invested with Prudential Insurance refunded to me! I work too hard and I earn less than $35K a year and I am 57 years old. I reported This firm to the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs and now The National Insurance Board, the commissioner of Banking & Insurance as well as To Charles Lowrey, CEO of Prudential Insurance. Prudential is a firm I no longer have confidence in their services. My goal is a refund of the monies I invested my monies and to reinvest with a life insurance company I can trust. I will also write about my experience on Social Media. They do not deserve a 1 star rating! Any company showing little to no regard for a client's trust and the security of their life’s investments, Is not worthy of further association.

CoveragePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 4, 2020

The policy is very flexible. It covers all health conditions and now they also added cover for Covid-19. The premium is cheaper and installments are durable. Claiming process is also fast and supports online.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2020

I wish there were negative stars!!! I’ve had HORRIBLE customer service. My representative is impossible to get ahold of and won’t return my messages. It took 3 extra months to get my policy active because of this. I’ve been sent in circles for another 3 months trying to get answers for a random charge from Prudential. I finally get ahold of someone and they are impatient and unfriendly. As soon as this issue is resolved I will IMMEDIATELY stop business with them. DO NOT use prudential life insurance!!!

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2020

Rates for large face value term life insurance policy are very competitive. But when I recently wanted to reduce the face value it took 4 phone calls, over an hour total wait time on the phone, discrepancies in the responses as to what I needed to do to make it happen and dealing with a rude representative who almost hung up on me when I said their instructions differed from the first rep I with whom I spoke. So if you want great or even good customer service, this isn’t the company. If the most important thing to you is rates, they’re great.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2020

I only called them once to help me change my percentage of who gets what in my family if God forbid anything happens to me. The Rep guided me to the entire process. Was very patient with me, and also gave me helpful hints. It was very easy to change my allocation so my son gets a good share and my mother as well. I can rest easily now.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2020

This prudential insurance is really good and the customer service itself is appreciative. Does help in most of the situations. Highly recommended to friends this insurance. Worth trying it. They meet challenges and have best retirement funds. Rates are reasonably good. It helps to plan for the financial future.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2020

Prudential is way too expensive. I have a 100,000 dollar policy with them that I am paying the same that I pay for a 500,000 dollar policy that I have with a different company. Also, the customer service is beyond bad. I called once to get some questions answered. It took two weeks for an agent to call me back.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information