Prudential Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Prudential Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Prudential Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

My Father passed away and has a Prudential Life Insurance policy that he has had for many years and the policy was fully paid off years ago. My Mother has contacted Prudential Insurance multiple times requesting the documents required so she can fill them out and collect the benefits. She was promised that those documents were mailed but they never arrived. We have no choice but to file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner and to hire an attorney. Prudential Insurance is the worst!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

It has one of the worst customer care service. I had a life insurance policy for 2 years. Due to change in the bank, my auto pay didn't go. I didn't receive any communication about payment not done and got the mail that my policy has lapsed. I called and Prudential informed me I have to redo my physical and labs. I sent them a check. Physical and labs are done, everything clear but policy is not still activated. I called them to return my money but haven't received it yet.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I unexpectedly took my retirement from the Commonwealth of Pa. I had a group life insurance policy prior to my retirement on 7/21/2010. I have paid faithfully and on time for the past 9+ years monthly. I get a notice as of 9/1/2019 my Life Insurance has been terminated. So now I am fighting for my life insurance since I am still receiving a Commonwealth Retirement Package. So what did Prudential do with all of my payments?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I wrote my own policy for this insurance company and from start to finish the process was archaic and contrived. To start, I elected an electronic funds transfer (EFT) initial premium and the premium was deducted before my medical exam had even been schedule with no prior warning (even though they had both my phone number and email address on file).

On top of that, when the medical exam came back and I was upgraded to preferred best, I was told I would get a refund of the difference via check in the mail. Instead, I was charged twice one month apart and, once I alerted prudential of their mistake, no one seemed to know what they were talking about, I was redirected three times and disconnected once, and when I finally found someone who actually knew the answer, I was told I’d have to wait for a check in the mail, even though they had taken the money out of my account so quickly. Then, when I asked for the customer complaint department, the representative gave me an address to mail a complaint to. No email, no phone number, no easy way to let them know what my feelings as a customer are. So clearly, Prudential is not a company that cares about its customers, just money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

This is the worse company ever. They don't pay out! They don't communicate. And when they do they're rude as hell! All I can say is swiiiitch! My daughter passed away on May 19th 2019. I have yet to receive anything from them besides the ** letters saying they need to complete the investigation. And I don't need to contact them any longer. #Prudentialsucks

Original review: July 29, 2019

When I was born many years ago, my father purchased a small life insurance policy on me that has been fully paid up for over 30 years. I'm getting all of our paperwork in order for our children to minimize their trouble when we pass away. I saw that this policy had our old address, so I decided to just set up an online account in order to be able to update the policy online and allow easy access for the children when the time comes. Well, apparently my policy is so old that it can't ever be set up online (don't understand that).

But the worst thing is Prudential entered the wrong birth date, so I can't do anything at all! I told them I have the original policy showing the correct date, but they say that's not good enough! Seriously??? I'm still trying to battle, having sent in various documents, but haven't been successful yet. I believe if I would not have begun this, that my kids would have just been told there was nothing that could be done. Needless to say, I will NEVER, NEVER purchase any type of Prudential policy and will tell everyone I know not to either. This service is in stark contrast to the help we received from other agencies when settling both of our mother's estates. Customer service reps are always nice, but aren't ever able to get anything done and most of my time is spent on hold. Also, there is only one phone number you can call. You can't email or call any other number to reach Prudential. I really can't say enough bad things about them!

Original review: July 24, 2019

The people working at Prudential Life Insurance are the kindest most patient people I've encountered in a long time. I had issues outside my control that caused me to contact them for help many many times but each and every time they they obliged.

Original review: July 23, 2019

My father passed away earlier this year. He assigned his children as his beneficiaries but there is a competing party. Prudential had given that party more than 3 months to gather their facts but yet haven't provided anything to the company. When I asked Prudential what policy and laws was the company adhering to, they couldn't answer. Each representative provides conflicting information and nothing is ever consistent. The supervisors are unprofessional and unethical when dealing with a grieving party.

Original review: June 22, 2019

My father is in nursing home and I have Power of Attorney for him. He has 4 life insurance policies. 1 whole life with Prudential and 1 term with Prudential and then 2 with other companies. Prudential is the ONLY 1 of the 3 that can’t communicate with me via email. They INSIST that their policy is mail or fax. BOTH other companies accepted attachments via secure email and responded as such. So, I email documents to them and 3 weeks later they claim they never received them.... seriously. I encourage everyone to avoid this company like the plague unless you don’t mind using dated methods of communicating.

Original review: June 19, 2019

My daughter's fiance passed away very unexpectedly. The company has stalled paying out his life insurance for 6 months always asking for documents already supplied or something new. She was told she needed to get guardianship from the court for their minor daughter in order to file for her share of the benefits. Now that $10,000 of legal fees have been incurred they say the child is a beneficiary. Why did they tell us to go to court and get guardianship and seen us claim forms to complete?? Impossible to get returned phone calls. Cannot speak to adjuster... Have claimed to not have information that was supplied to them 2 weeks after his death. Totally unethical! Who is monitoring this company???

Original review: June 2, 2019

Both my husband and I have contacted the supposed customer service line numerous times and still have no answers regarding their latest premium increase. We were told that the information we requested would be mailed. When the mailing showed up, the information was NOT what we had asked for. Another phone call and another response that it would be mailed. Wrong again. The letter received today simply indicated their change of address...not the cost for changes that we had requested. To say we are annoyed would be a gross understatement. WHY can they not answer the question and quit screwing around? There is a due date for our payment that they are continuing to ignore.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After investing $73,000 in a variable universal life policy, Prudential notified me that the vehicle was "non-performing". All premium payments are gone and the policy has no value. I felt a little less stupid when I read this in the New York Times 9/19/2018: --"Universal life is among the reasons Americans are approaching retirement in the worst shape in decades. "John Resnick, co-author of an American Bar Association book on life insurance, said people “are sitting on a ticking time bomb, and most probably aren’t aware of it”.

I spent hours on the phone with Prudential going over the premium history. The level of arrogance voiced by their customer service associates was stunning. The agent who pushed this product was a fast-talking Prudential award-winner. The risks were described by him as "non-existent". The devastating outcome mattered to no one in the sales chain. Even my new financial adviser has cut ties with Prudential.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Called the customer service line to pay a premium and get address change. Rep was extremely rude and unhelpful. Took my money with no problem but did not want to help beyond that. Prudential needs to hire the right fits for a customer service line.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The company will treat you fine until you have a problem. And when this happens good luck getting a honest answer. Save yourself a lot of time and money, deal with a honest company, Met Life, New York Life. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 17, 2019

In the end of 2016 my wife and I rolled over 2 fixed annuities from MetLife to Screwdential Prudential. The agent Craig was told multiple time we wanted fixed at 5% no variable. He assured us it would be fixed. Well with family problems all we did was look at the balance then we started to see transaction fees. We called him on the phone. He assured us it was fixed. It was a one time charge. Well principal started going down. I checked into it and found out it was variable & we were in things that were never reviewed or mentioned to us by him. I keep getting transaction fees even though what he put us in has not changed and I called & I can't change them to try to recoup losses.

When I confronted him (Craig) on this he replied by email that he can't talk to me. I have to speak with someone in policy relations. This crazy he wrote it did not review what he had done and won't own up to it. If this company calls you, hang up or if they are at your door lock it. God knows how they will screw my wife and kid on my 2 insurance (for over 30 yrs.) policies when I pass after all the neg comments I have read here.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Ten years ago I resigned from my job that paid for my prudential term life insurance policy. I continued with the policy after their nurse gave me physical exam at my home for $ 200k policy. I downgraded to $100k few years ago to pay $827.00 annual premium to age 85. I was never sent a copy of the insurance policy after I was told I would. Last year 2018 I requested downgrade to $50k policy but $100k was the lowest offered and was told by service rep. my 2019 annual policy would be about $5k annual and my end age dropped to age 82. with no prior notice.

I can't afford it and won't renew my policy. After reading many complaints about prudential and other big name life insurance companies giving beneficiaries big hassle on not paying death benefit, I decided best thing to do is just save that money in my savings account and my one of my trusted family member as my bank joint account holder to pay for my funeral and owed expenses after my death. These crooks won't get my money anymore.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My name is Michael **. My mother and father both passed away in February. Dad died February 13th and mom died February 15th. My father had 4 life insurance policies with Prudential. My mom was the primary beneficiary and my brother and I are contingency beneficiaries. When I called Prudential they said that because mom never filed a claim that my brother and I could file a claim. When we did now Prudential says they can't pay us. They want to pay to our mother's estate. They want us to go to courthouse and file small estate papers. The problem is everything was set up to be TOD and POD. So, all houses, vehicles, personal property and bank accounts have been transferred to my brother and I.

Another life insurance policy through Union Securities originally said the same as Prudential but after I faxed my parents' will to them they agreed to pay the death benefit since my brother and I are the only beneficiaries and are named executors in the Will. If you can assist us in any way we would greatly appreciate it. My cell phone number is **.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have been permanently and totally disabled for over 10 years. I had here life policies with Prudential and cashed two in when I initially became disabled. After paying the premium for 2 years after my disability I realized that I had a waiver of premium rider and applied for the waiver. In April 2018 I was sent a letter from Prudential in which they wanted to review the waiver. In September 2018 I was told by a Prudential customer service rep that the waiver was approved and a letter of confirmation would be mailed. The letter never came and when I inquired I was told the waiver was still under review! When I told the CSR numerous times that I was informed the waiver was approved on the phone and all Prudential's call are recorded she would not even reply.

My claims examiner _Lauren ** never returns a call and when I call Prudential the CSR says she is not available and does not even put me through her voicemail. What are they hiding? The denial letter arrived in February 2019 just 3 weeks before the six month premium was due! I was in a car accident in 2017 that further disabled me and had to undergo more surgery. The reason Prudential is denying my waiver is in 16 months I will be 65 and Prudential would have to forgo the premiums for 20 years -yes the policy term is for 51 years! Prudential made 8 BILLION dollars last year. For a company whose ad slogan is "Bring Your Challenges" some government agency needs to investigate the business practice of such a terrible corporation. Some Prudential employees should be held accountable as well as the CEO of this corporation.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have been working with your company since February 5th. Your representatives have done nothing but lie to me. I am the power of attorney for my Mom's insurance policy and also the beneficiary. All I wanted to do was add my Son should I die. They are evasive and not nice. Didn't have a good experience with any of them. I expect an answer or will go to my Attorney General. You have some very serious problems with your company and are not forthcoming. I don't have time for these lies and noncompetency. Policy 46860776. I sent everything the rep told to send. Plus a copy of my Power of Attorney. I suggest you all get you act together. This is an awful treatment. Not good business. I am not trying to do anything but add my Son as a beneficiary...they said they would send paperwork. A month later and many calls here I sit with dealing with rude and lying representatives.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

PRUDENTIAL STOLE 33 YEARS. I'm a disabled, diabetic, heart patient who survives on Social Security and food stamps. Just after my first daughter was born I bought a modest life insurance policy from Prudential. From 1986 until now I never missed a monthly payment. Twice along the way I needed to take out small loans against the policy, about $3k total. Both times I was informed the loans need not ever be repaid. The loans plus interest would be deducted from settlement when I passed away. In fact they encouraged me not to pay them back. They advised me to enjoy the benefit for being a long time loyal client, but really they just wanted the interest to grow.

After over twenty years of "no contact" from Prudential they sent a demand letter for immediate payment of interest. Within the week "Heather" from Prudential called me. She told me her records indicated no one from Prudential had reached out to me in, literally, decades and wanted to apologize and find out if there was anything she could do for me. I told her about the demand letter and my financial situation. She promised this was some sort of error and she would correct it as soon as she hung up. She did not. Three days later The notice of cancelation arrived. Subsequent calls to Prudential have been fruitless. I explain it to them only to be bounced to someone else to start all over, 5 times then disconnected.

Can someone help me understand how this is acceptable. Why would they ignore me for decades then change their own rules, without notice, then backstab a loyal client? It seems to me they must have access to my medical records and know I'm getting closer every day to needing the death benefit. I'll bet they search for ways to terminate the older clients before settlement comes due.

These people played me for 33 years and I hope to maybe protect someone else from this predatory business behavior. Please repost this everywhere you can. Any constructive advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I was hoping Prudential would find a corporate conscience and do the right thing. I would like my family to have enough money to dispose of my remains and maybe split a pizza.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I spoke to 9 people during the massive runaround they gave me but NONE of them could simply update the mailing address for future correspondence regarding my deceased mother's contract (1099's, etc). One guy asked if she could come to the phone! I will never be a Prudential customer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

After 6 months of working with Prudential, they still are asking for more information - the same information I have multiple times over 6 months sent to them in writing by mail or filed on their website. They continually ask for the same documents that I have already submitted and I sent to where they have told me to send it - still not getting it. Luckily if you go high enough up the ladder of supervisors, you will get an American. I have communicated with American employees over the phone and email (sending the same documents already sent).

Their main customer service is in the Philippines, while nice people, they do not understand how life policies work. Their hands are tied too. They do not have email - imagine anyone in today's world without email capacity. I have been a broker for 30 years selling life insurance policies, I will never put my client's heirs through this horrible mess by selling or referring them to Prudential again. If I could give a 0 rating I would due to the extreme stress and distress they have caused me - especially at such a sad and difficult time as my father's death 6 months ago.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have read through all the comments on this site and I must say that so far, my experience with Prudential is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I filled my claim in November 2008 because I could no longer work due to MS and Epilepsy. My employer along with my Case Manager Kelly has worked diligently in getting me documentation and my doctors the same. We had one form mix up and that was my fault. Kelly said fax it to her attention and before I got hot it was uploaded. I understand there is good and bad in every business and yes we ALL are in a rough a depressing spot. I felt so depressed not being able to work. Kelly spent time talking to me.

So I ask when everyone is bashing Prudential have you ever thought that just maybe they might care and it is rough on them too. I ask you do you talk to them or at your Prudential agents. Because I bet if you respect them they will return the favor. My claim is in medical review and may be denied and I too may go through a lot to get it approved but that’s ok. I know I am sick and I will keep on until it’s approved. Like I tell my Case Manager we are a team and we will do this together

Just want to throw some positive love out here because as bad as I feel that’s who I am and let’s join together after all this will change things quicker than hate. I PROMISE.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

They denied me life ins, in 2016 after paying monthly payments while out on long term disability for a Bone Marrow transplant at UPENN in Philadelphia for AML, they claim that I was no longer a UPS employee, but I was and I still work for UPS 9 years. I was sent a new application in Jan 2017 when I return to UPS. And that is when they denied me due to having AML. Yes I am doing well due to the transplant, thank God. I do not have any life insurance anymore. I even call the PA insurance commission, no help at all. Never got back to me. Thank you. My name is Robert **.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I acquired a Group Life policy for myself and my husband when it was offered to me by my employer in 2000. Once I left this job in 2002, I was allowed to keep the active policy by making the required quarterly payments. Long story short, after 17 years of paying my premiums faithfully and never becoming late, they cancelled my policy on myself and my husband. They claimed they received my last payment for the year was received 3 days late. It was at Christmastime. Although they did receive my payment, they sent me a refund with the cancellation notice. After speaking with several representatives and managers and going through an appeal process I was still denied my coverage back. I was told I would have to apply for a new policy.

After repeated requests for more and more health information and having each time sent them the information, they kept telling me they never received it. This went on for approximately 3 months. I faxed it, mailed it about 4 times and they would never admit it had been received. I believe I was discriminated against because of my age. I was then 59 years old and had had some health problems and surgeries over those years. After 17 years of faithful premium payments I was cancelled. No reminder letter that they had not received a payment or a late notice letter. Just a cancellation notice. These people are crooks with no decency or morals. I had paid in thousands of dollars with about 17 cents on return. I would not recommend anyone doing business with these people. Age and health discrimination and absolutely NOT WORKING WITH LONG TIME CUSTOMERS. This company is a sham.

DO NOT EVER GET INVOLVED WITH PRUDENTIAL GROUP LIFE INSURANCE! All they will do is fleece you with higher and higher premiums based on your age bracket, going way higher at each bracket and then drop you for one payment they claim they received late. Even though they had my payment just after the due date, after 17 years and thousands of dollars later, they dropped me and then would never admit they ever received anything from me except my NEW APPLICATION which had my medical history on it. They kept saying they did not receive their requested medical information that I sent and resent 4 or 5 times. They knew I was older and now had health issues. VERY UNETHICAL COMPANY. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My fiancé was killed in a accident in April 2018 and he was on my work benefits that I put him on in January during open enrollment. I still have had no luck getting the policies paid out to me. Prudential is finding any excuse they can to not pay out my policies. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Not only do I have to try to cope day to day without my fiancé but now I’m being sued for funeral and other bills which would not be happening if Prudential would pay the policy out that I paid to have.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I feel I have no recourse other than to publicly appeal to the higher authorities at Prudential. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get my money for the last 3 months now. Talking to the people at customer services is just like talking to a broken record. Unless there is a company policy to make it impossible for anyone to get their money back, it is unbelievable how any company would deliberately treat their client like this.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Called about a policy my parents got for me at birth. Long story short after 57 yrs. It's worth $1580. Cash out option $590. In 2034 it expire! What a disgrace!!! I am so upset. This was to pay for my funeral and help my family. SO I THOUGHT... What a ripoff!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was on the phone with Prudential for about 45 minutes between at least 5 customer service representatives from different departments. They each told me that they were not the department I was looking for and transferred me to a new department. I finally spoke to a manager and she again told me the same thing, only to be sent to another department and was made to leave a message and wasn't even able to speak to a representative of the department. This type of customer service is absolutely unacceptable. Customer Service is awful.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My mother passed away in April of 2018 and I have been trying for 6 months to cash out a life insurance policy that my mother had with Prudential. Well they have made every excuse to me as why they CAN'T pay the policy. Every excuse they can come up with. They say papers not properly signed, papers not sent to them. Which are both lies because I know for a fact that all the papers were there and properly signed. Avoid this company at all cost. The policy isn't big enough to hire an attorney and I'm sure they know that. Just another company that gets rich off the little man. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL.

Prudential Life Insurance Company Information