Call toll free*
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 12, 2018

826 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 12, 2018

This company is an absolute joke! One can never get in touch with the agent. Apparently the agents are individual agents, and apparently Nationwide doesn’t have control over them. Our car got stolen and it has been a nightmare to get the vehicle repaired. Not only took a month for the whole process but also they only paid a portion of the work and we got stocked with the balance. The day after our car got stolen, a representative from Nationwide called to question me about my finances and if I was having trouble making my payments or if I had any criminal record, in essence asking me if I stole my own vehicle? Then we received another call from a bozo from the claims department asking for radio model and pics of the dashboard; he offer to buy a stereo and send it to us so we could take it for installation… what? What kind of Insurance Co. conducts business this way?

We took our business elsewhere and my new insurance company sent a letter of cancellation. They still withdrew money from my account this month, and two weeks later, we haven’t got reimbursed. I am trying to speak to someone about the issue but it is virtually impossible to speak to anyone. So I called the Nationwide 800 number and I explained to the person whom answered that I was having a terrible time getting a hold of my agent and that I wanted to talk to a manager or someone in complaints; she just kept repeating the same, “Sorry, the agents are individual agents” “you have to talk to them”. WOW!!! As the commercial says, Nationwide is on your side.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I added a vehicle to my policy (a policy that I have had for 11 years since I started driving). I was told that my rates would increase by about $50-$60. I agreed and added said vehicle. My previous bill was $135 per month. My new bill was $299 which is way more than the $50-$60 that was agreed upon prior to adding the vehicle. I was told that if I did not pay this amount by the end of March 29, 2018, that my policy would be cancelled. I called up and paid the amount on Mar. 29 and lowered some coverage to help save some money per month. Dropping some coverage options brought my balance to $258 so I paid that. I was told that my policy was up to date and would not be cancelled and that everything was taken care of. Additionally, I was told that my next bill would be due on April 10, 2018 in the amount of around $180 for both vehicles combined.

I get a letter the next week stating that they have cancelled my policy and that I must pay $40.97 to reinstate my policy and continue to receive insurance. I called asking as to why and they said the changes were never made even though they saw that they had been keyed in. I paid the amount and they would not tell me how much my next month's bill would be. At this point, I have NO idea what to expect on my bill and feel like they are just stealing from me and charging whatever they want to. I added the vehicle to my policy because I was told on the phone, NUMEROUS times, that my bill would only increase by about $50-$60. However, my normal bill was only $135 per month. $299 - $135 is a $164-dollar increase! That is literally twice the amount I was paying before. Additionally, the vehicle I added was a 1998 truck and my car was the $135 one.

There is NO reason that a truck from 1998 should double my cost from a 2014 Car. They lied to me and refuse to tell me what I will have to pay next month when my bill comes in. This has put me in a terrible financial situation as I only work 17 hours per week on average and am a full-time college student. I will probably have to sell my car now because they are charging me more in insurance than my car payment is. I have not had any accidents or anything that would cause my rates to go up, especially double them. This is absurd and they are stealing from me. Very disappointed. Nationwide is NOT on your side.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been doing business with Nationwide for nearly 15 years. That is now about to end, however. I called yesterday simply to inquire as to why my bill has been steadily going up and up despite having a perfect driving record. After speaking with a woman with an unbelievable attitude I asked to speak to her superior. Well, I end up speaking to a man who was every bit as rude and unprofessional and shockingly at the end of the call this jerk talking down to me had the audacity to actually HANG UP on me!! I will NEVER, EVER do business with this sad excuse for a company as long I live... unreal.

Original review: March 30, 2018

After more than 20 years with Nationwide Insurance, we checked other competitors. Two competitors had 100,000/300,000/1000,000 with yearly cost being $1500+ less than the 50,000/100,000/50,000 Nationwide coverage. The Nationwide prices went up yearly and we were told that we were getting discounted pricing. We've been getting hosed. I should have checked Nationwide, but I trusted them. Not anymore. We went to Progressive and found Safco was almost the same price as Progressive.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Just received this in an email. An email. I've had exes that were more polite and concerned when they broke up with me. "Underwriting has reviewed your policy and has advised due to the claims/losses on 12/20/15, and 6/30/17, the policy is set to non-renew. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact our customer service center at 800-282-1446." When I filed the claim in 2017, the rep from Nationwide assured me that they would not cancel the policy. Had she let me know this, I would have paid for the damages myself. After 10 years and after referring my friends and family to you during that time, this is not how I expected this to turn out. Very disappointed that you are canceling me for using the service that I have paid into for 10 years for filing claims that dwarf what I have paid you over this time. And just last night I was telling my kids what a great company you were to do business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been with this insurance company for 17 years. Every year they would go up on policy stating that Maryland have increase their rates. I am now with Allstate and pay a whole lot less than what I was paying to Nationwide. I was in a head on accident in July of 2017. Due to the trauma of this accident which split my artery in my neck and cause me to have a stroke. This accident was cause by a stolen car driver that ran the red light. I was in the hospital for two weeks. Now I am trying to get paid by them and they only offering 19,000 dollars. Most of the money is going toward the hospital bills since I was in the critical care unit. The amount I would get is less than what they paid my car off for.

Instead of them having a doctor to review my case they used a nurse that is not a nurse that knows anything a stroke patient, so my doctors will burst her bubble and make her look like a fool when we go to court, praying that they would back out of the court case and pay me my money. It's bad enough my bodily injury amount is only 50,000 which I gave them in the years that I was with them plus some.

Of course I am going to court to get what I am due. It was bad enough that I didn't get my deductible back because the car was stolen and Geico said they are not paying anything out since the car was reported stolen. Nationwide have that saying is that they are on your side. NO NO NO they are not on your side and I would never advise anybody to use this insurance especially since they are not truly on your side. Their policies are too high. Please do your research before ever going with this company, you would pay less being with MAIF than with this insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have an auto policy with Nationwide, I switched from Liberty Mutual which was meh as well, thinking it would be better. It was good until another driver made malicious claim against me. The initial claims adjuster was a nice young lady who seemed to understand the circumstances involving this particular accident. In her email she mistakenly stated that the person who would inspect my vehicle for any damages from the other party was the adjuster, he was a nice man as well, but to my discontent he was not the adjuster. Instead, their investigator called me without notice (email) as the initial adjuster said she would if any further information developed regarding this particular claim. I then receive a call from a very RUDE & AGGRESSIVE guy who claims he needs to meet with me to go over additional information and his schedule is so busy that he needs to know NOW WHEN I WILL HAVE TIME TO MEET HIM!

He left a pleasant message, but certainly duplicitous. I was trying to keep my composure in check as I was being patronized by some guy who's NOT ON MY SIDE who like every single insurance company out there are trying to incriminate their drivers to make an extra buck by dropping you. "Oh you have bad credit, oh you got into one fender bender, oh you passed a stop sign... blah blah blah"... Give us a break... Just say you're here to give us a hard time... 500.00 a month for rude service... I will add to the record here the other party had a lower tier insurance policy and physically harassed the driver of the vehicle they made a claim against... Blasphemy is what's going on here...

Original review: March 24, 2018

I thought accident forgiveness meant my rates would not go up, especially if it's not collision and not at my fault. Had insurance with them for over 6 years and only two claims and after each time my rate was jacked up. Now $400 a month for two cars with $500 deductible is ridiculous! Customer service is non-existent, never calls back, never resolves issues. No matter what my problem is with them all they say "I'm so sorry it happened to you". It happened to me because you don't do your job and just rip off money! But honestly, what aggravates me most is your dumb signing commercials! I guess my premiums go to pay these "artists" to howl these idiotic songs!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am a Retired Veteran working part time driving for Uber and Lyft. While I was driving I was hit by a customer of Nationwide. The Nationwide driver agreed that it was his fault and Nationwide took care of the repairs and rental car. I couldn't use the rental car for my business according to Uber so I was out of work for 3 weeks. I asked for lost wages and turned in a week and half of Uber and Lyft statements prior to the accident to the Nationwide Rep. I did not have that many previous statements due to being sick but they added up to $1850.00. The rep came back and low balled me and said he would only pay around $1100.00 and told me if I had more statements he could do more.

I sent the Rep what I did since I got my car back. Last week. 2/19 thru 2/25 alone I worked 27.83 hours (or 5.566 hours per day). I made $823.83 (or $29.60 per hour) (or $164.588 per day). What I could have made for the 22 days I went without my car we will never know. I am only asking only for 5 days a week but your insured took away my right to make money for a total of 22 consecutive days. I feel I am being fair for only counting 16 out of the 22 days. Or $2,633.28. He said he could not pay me for future work. I said then I will not settle since he low balled me.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Tried to get a car quote with an existing policy for cost only but ended up with an extra added car instead. Contacted customer service within an hour to get it removed but they ended up removing the wrong vehicle from my policy. Got this rectified a month later during my review of my policy. Finally got the right vehicle back on but the extra driver was added to all vehicles, which in turn increased cost. Contacted customer service to get this rectified but got 30 minutes of chatter and ** that it would be taken care of promptly.

Contacted customer service again after another month to find out where my refund was for these extra charges for which I got another 30 minutes of chatter and utter nonsense that it had been given to me in past made payments. I can do simple add and subtract so after spending an hour or so trying to figure out where the refund was it could never be found as nothing had changed on my monthly cost. Finally had to just change insurance companies with real people that can take care of business but guess what I get another bill for more money that they sent to a collection company. After spending time on the phone again with them to say it went nowhere would be an understatement. I know that if I did not pay then I get credit dinged and you know how lazy those people are at that place about making sure there are not lies and untruths put on your credit report so just ended up pay them out.

Never will I do business with this crappy company again and for those that think those rates are all good then good luck to you. I actually pay less now than when I was with Nationwide by going with State Farm who had half my vehicles already so just ended up removing my headache completely by going with one insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Not only was their customer a bully, but they were too. They actually got the police to cite me in a private parking lot with no witnesses and their customer was partially at fault because he took the "right of way" in which he refused to do anything to avoid an accident even though he had 4 lanes and good visibility to see me. I did the 4 second rule and he wasn't there. He said he was going under the speed limit and honked for a long time but if that were the case then he could have slowed down to avoid me. He and Nationwide called me as I was traumatized in my first accident ever where I was partially at fault at the least and cited for a moving violation based only on what their customer said. You NEVER call the other party as they are still on scene by themselves waiting for a tow truck.

His car had a scratch and he should have paid for it but he said his insurance would have totaled it since it was worth $2K so he had to get my insurance to pay for it. I guess I need to treat others not the way I want to be treated but the way he treated me and his insurance. He just wanted a quick payout. Nationwide wanted me to admit fault immediately. There has to be an investigation. Because of Nationwide and the Bully in Mesa, AZ, I my insurance declared me 100% at fault. I was cited by the police and went to traffic school based on what the jerk said but the jerk was the only person the police got a story from. I've been hit 3 times before in which I was stopped, but not the first person as I was stopped maybe 3rd car behind and I exchanged phone numbers because I wasn't going to make a big deal about my old car with a slight scratch on my car despite they were 100% at fault.

I remember that the last time the lady blamed my shoes but that didn't play a role since I was stopped and she was on her cell. Her insurance paid out and she was at fault and she apologized. Her Mercedes poked a hole in my rear. I never called the police but I exchanged insurance information. I could have been an ** and called the police and gotten her cited and declared whiplash, etc, and made money. Nationwide "is on your side." Ya, they are on their client's side by bullying the other party and getting the claim settled as an "at fault" before leaving even though the other party is 100% co-operative and proved having insurance and apologized for their side of it. I could have gotten the cops to cite him for not slowing down, honking (that's not a way to avoid an accident by the way-it's a bully method to say "get out of my way as I have the right of way and I'm not going to slow down or swerve to avoid you".

I would never use this company. They don't use proper methods to be fair to both parties. They get the other party and bully them to admit fault with the police. I couldn't believe their customer said that, "Don't worry, they will just cite you and get your insurance because my car has over 200K miles and it's only worth $2K and my insurance would total this piece of 2005 crap." WE both had Nissan Altimas. I got hurt the most. He got a scratch and could drive away but my 2009 was totaled and it counted against me after 20 years of driving.

I learned something after this "Get a Dash Cam" and other features to protect yourself and declare point of impact because he was speeding. I allow a lot of time before I make a right turn. I am not providing receipts because it's already in a database and I don't want it anywhere else. It's been 6 weeks now and I still don't have a car to drive. I was unable to work or go to school as I sit at home because of this.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

They will lure you in with online quotes that sound amazing then after you bite the bait they will make up excuses to raise your premium. For instance my online quote for my car and home insurance was about $200 less per year than with my other insurance company and with slightly better insurance coverage. However, after an exterior home inspection my home insurance raised $200 and for some odd reason my auto insurance increased to what my prior insurance premium was. The net increase per year was $400. I recently cancelled my auto and home insurance and hooked up with another reputable insurance carrier where my auto insurance is $300 less and $100 less than Nationwide and my auto coverage is 2x what Nationwide offered. It's the company with the red umbrella.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

This company will tell you one thing to get you to sign up and just like the rest of the scamming insurance companies. They tell people what they want to hear, get you switch everything and raise the prices. They claim they can't get you discount, too. I would never use this company again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

We have had Nationwide auto & home insurance for several years with no claims on homeowners and one claim for an uninsured motorist, not at fault accident. They had been consistently increasing our rates by $100 every 6 months for a while, but then in September 2017 they increased our auto by $100 per month. We started shopping around and found cheaper insurance and called our local agent Janet to give her one last chance to reduce our rates. Janet told us what she had previously told us 3 other times and said she couldn't.

My husband cancelled both policies at the end of September to avoid a new policy starting on October 1st. Our local agent never cancelled the policy and Nationwide sent us a big bill because they wrote a new policy and expected us to pay. My husband finally called them back after they kept sending bills, and had to send them our new Amica policies to prove we had a new policy. He forwarded an email he had sent Janet and they said they would cancel the policies but we still owed $37.85. I paid the $37.85 even though I didn't feel I should, I had made my last payment on the old policy, so how did I owe anything?

That was in January 2018, and now today (2/18/18) I receive a notice from a collection agency that I owe $25 for my auto policy, I never received a bill for this, and how do I owe anything when I made the last payment on the old policy. I bet if I would have had a claim from Hurricane Harvey and hadn't paid my bill for the new policy starting 10/1/17 I wouldn't have had coverage, but since I didn't they conveniently write another policy and expected me to pay for it.

I also believe they thought I couldn't get another policy in my area due to the hurricane, I just had to wait a month so they could see I didn't file any claims with Nationwide and Amica was happy to have my business. My credit is always in the upper 700's to lower 800's, so finding someone else isn't an issue. Nationwide doesn't reward you for being a loyal, claim free customer. Instead they continue to increase your rates until you are forced to shop around for other insurance. Amica was able to provide the same coverage for $100 less than what I was paying for just car insurance, almost $400 less a month in total.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am glad I am a part of Nationwide. They helpfully took me through all the steps that I needed to do with ease. They made me feel better about the situation that was scary and actually cared about getting me through a situation that I had never been in before. Unbelievably the easiest and professional dealings ever with a claim. They were there with me every step of the way. They were kind and they made me feel protected. I thank them very much.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

They went up by $10 within 2 month's after renewal month without prior notification to payee. And, they are pretty good company to have on your side except when in an accident with another Nationwide customer. It also depends on the agent of the company for each of the accident consumers.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had NATIONWIDE home and auto insurance for decades. One day they decided to double the value of my house and my premium jumped to $1400/year. I switched to FARMERS MUTUAL and my premium is $313/year. Now just in the last week I find out my auto insurance (3 vehicles) is $100 more per month than the company I just switched to. I have known my agent for close to 30 years and acts like we are the best of buddies but really he has been ripping me off for decades. Just in auto insurance alone he has overcharged me $100 per month and that's $1200/year every year for years. Your insurance agent is not your friend and he does not work for you. Keep in mind also I have never filed a claim ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I had Nationwide and a man hit me, who also had Nationwide insurance. Nationwide did not take care of us, despite being a regular customer. They were on their own side, not yours. When I trusted this company to cover my family, they really let us down. My child was hurt in her car seat and they fought us for 42 months. How is that being on my side??? This made the process last over 3 years with minimal results and a subsequent 2nd lawsuit against them but I won, eventually. I paid them like the other man, but that did not matter to them, but it did in court. Never again, will misplace my trust in such a unprofessional company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Can easily resolve billing problems through a agent versus going through typical call centers. Competitive rates with hands-on service capabilities via local agents seems better than dealing with anonymous call center reps that are sometimes vague or provide misleading information. Finding a service oriented insurance company is usually a challenge for me.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Nationwide is terrible. It is so disappointing. I had a car on a auto policy for two years. No accidents, no tickets, and I had a good student discount. When my mom added my stepdad's insurance, they charged us a monthly fee of 1,433.97. When we called, a Nationwide agent did not ask us permission to add my step-dad on our policy. The agent never had the compassion to call us and let us know.

My agent's name was Jessica. When we removed my stepdad's car, and we left MY car, that had been on the same insurance for almost 2 years. Nationwide increased MY insurance from 119.09 to 199.09 per month!!! They started a new policy WITHOUT my consent, and added a different driver WITHOUT my consent. They are terrible people, and don't care. They are scamming you. They are trying to raise your insurance and then come up with dumb excuses so you pay MORE. Please, DO not have a policy with Nationwide. We are done. We canceled everything with them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

They're professional, helpful and honest. They take care of their clients. Submitting a claim is quick, and the car fixed in timely manner and no surprises on what is owed. I believe in an insurance company that is not owned by stockholders. Nationwide is owned by policyholders. Not answering to stockholders makes a big difference, ask Allstate. They told me to "sue them", when I had an accident, when I just wanted approx 5,000.00 to cover my medical expenses that were above and beyond my medical coverage. They played hardball, and I sued and won. The poor gal who rear-ended me was now going to be sued by Allstate, (we both had Allstate), to recoup the losses. So Allstate had to answer to its Stockholders and explain why they took someone, as myself to court, but it was a risk they took, so I will stay with Nationwide, who does not answer to stockholders.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have read many poor reviews for Nationwide and was very concerned how they'd handle our claim, but they were very helpful in our case. Their client hit our vehicle (totaled it) and left the scene. Fortunately, my husband got her license plate number. Once the police gave us her insurance info with Nationwide, I called them and they were very courteous, helpful (rental car and damage evaluation arranged same day), and they were extremely prompt for processing the claim.

The payment for our wrecked SUV was received in about two weeks (mail caused some delay) with ample time left on the car rental (at their expense) to find a new vehicle. We were continually updated and they were always available and responded quickly when called or emailed. We are extremely impressed with this company. We have State Farm, but after seeing how well Nationwide handled this claim, we are considering a change if their rates are as good as their customer service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My ConsumerAffairs complaint is in reference to three separate insurance claims with Nationwide Insurance. After working with Nationwide to get my car repaired for an accident with several impact points (hence multiple claims), for which I was NOT at fault, Nationwide recommended an auto body shop on their preferred vendor list that had no idea how to deal with my specific BMW make/model (their head technician told me he Googled how to repair my car on an Internet message board full of car geeks).

My car has not been properly repaired; the back bumper is incorrectly fitted and will cost thousands to fix, the sunroof motor is not properly functioning post-impact, and I have three spark plugs that immediately began to misfire after the accident. Combined, I expect these issues to cost at least $2,500 to repair properly. None of these post-accident issues have been addressed in good faith by Nationwide Insurance and my Austin, TX representative, Kimberlee **.

After working with Kim for 2-3 months, I feel she is not acting in good faith with my insurance claim. My car has several thousand dollars' worth of repairs that have not been addressed by Nationwide, and I've properly paid all my deductibles under my insurance policy, but I've been left with a BMW that is not driveable post-accident due to the rear collision impact causing the car's engine to consistently misfire. On top of this, my assigned Nationwide representative (Kimberlee **) in Austin, TX has been rude, belligerent, and dismissive during the 2-3 months I've been working with her, and she has deliberately not acted in good faith with my insurance claim.

She has also denied me the ability to discuss a Diminished Value claim with her, which I qualify for in Texas due to the diminished resale value of the car. Therefore, I expect Nationwide to act in good faith and finish repairing my car, and I expect reasonable compensation for the diminished resale value of my car. I am happy to provide supporting documentation for the diminished value of my car, as well as all documentation during the repair process. I have already had an auto shop of my choosing, which specializes in BMW repair, to diagnose the remaining issues and finish the repairs.

I have legal standing to file two lawsuits -- one for Insurance Bad Faith, the other for Diminished Value -- but I would rather come to an amicable resolution. My desire is to have my car 100% repaired at a shop of my choosing, and to be paid a reasonable sum for the diminished resale value of the car. From this point forward, I am also requesting a new Nationwide representative who is respectful and acting in good faith. I have every text message with Kimberlee ** saved on my phone, and I can provide concrete proof of her being rude, belligerent, disrespectful, and dismissive throughout the process. But most importantly, my car needs to be 100% repaired immediately, so I have a working mode of transportation. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My husband was in an accident. The car was totaled. During the claim process we found out that Nationwide had the wrong VIN number so the car wasn't actually insured. After they fixed that problem they then told us that we owed them money because we weren't paying enough for his insurance policy. They continued to charge us for a totaled car to be insured on our policy for 2 months even after I called to have the car removed several times. Then I got a letter in the mail telling me that the policy on the totaled car was renewed and I was being charged almost $100 more that month for the renewal process and the premium. And every time I called I got a complete run around from every person that I spoke to. And then when I asked who I should complain to I was given an 800 number that didn't work. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere for your insurance. If I could give them zero Stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Nationwide is the insurance carrier for Midas, whom did not properly perform an oil change on my vehicle. Shortly after the oil change, my engine failed due to a lack of oil as they did not properly install the oil filter, causing it to leak and the vehicle to run out of oil. Even with 2 separate automotive shops confirming this with all the necessary documents, Nationwide still will not cover the cost of my engine. I am taking them to court. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST. Regardless of what their commercials say, they definitely DO NOT have your side.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

My husband accidentally backed into his expensive sports car. The insurance company quickly responded and within a week his car was in for repair. Nationwide worked quickly to fix our car. They even informed us we needed to change our insurance since we had moved to a different state. We were thankful they were looking out for us.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Nationwide keeps track of our needs and provide personal advice regarding the value and coverage of our policies. They provide personal reminders of policy changes and fees related to the changes, by phone with a human person calling and answering questions. We are completely satisfied with the company agent and the policy offerings they provide. I would not hesitate recommend Nationwide to anyone. Filing claim was excellent, fast response to claim, continued follow up to assure that all is well and we were satisfied with their in home adjuster and rental car provided.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The agent is very prompt, and returns calls within a couple of hours, and the monthly premium is very reasonable. I do recommend this insurance company, as I am totally satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Have always been happy with Nationwide. I have used them for 15 years straight. Although I have never needed to file any claims, my local agent Mark ** has been great. Always returns calls immediately, and helps me any he can.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Nationwide is a combative insurance agency, I have had multiple issues with what the insurance agent is saying and what actually happens with billing. 1 Incident was We terminated the policy and were told that we had a 0 dollar balance. Weeks later we received a 97 dollar bill.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky