Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I hope lots of people read this post. Filed a claim against a policyholder with Nationwide Insurance. The claim was denied, and the stupid reason I was told that since their insurer vehicle did not show damage. The claim was denied. There are witnesses to the accident but the adjuster named Erin ** denied it saying their policyholder vehicle didn't show damage because the tire caused the damage. Well if the tire caused the damage to my car why would there be damage on their policyholder vehicle?!!

Just because your policyholder vehicle did not get damaged is not a valid reason for paying this claim. But according to Nationwide who is NOT, I repeat NOT on your side this is a legitimate reason to deny the claim. Then she move to another reason for denying the claim saying the tire that hit my car did not show damage, well it rained several days before this smart adjuster looked at their policyholder vehicle so that is not a valid reason either.

If you have Nationwide care insurance I really feel your pain, seems to me the name of the game is to not pay valid claims. I have contacted the public relations department and I have read many, many complaints about this insurance company not paying valid claims. I will not give up! This is insane! and I will take it to the next steps if needed. Like say calling Six on Your Side here in Columbus where your headquarters are located and other actions if necessary. I get tired of being cheated by large corporations!!!! This is one reason the rich stay rich and the poor gets poorer!

Have had our car sitting in the repair shop for almost a month for an accident that was ANOTHER Nationwide policy holder's fault while, as we were told "Nationwide is waiting for the police report". Just yesterday a Nationwide adjuster tells me I should have filed a claim against my policy (when it was NOT our fault??), and "why did you abandon your vehicle at the repair shop instead of letting us know so we could assess the damage?" WHAT kind of idiotic, absurd statement is that, since we called our Nationwide agent the same day of the accident, and within about a day HE had it towed to a garage THEY recommended?

The adjuster claimed not to know anything about the collision repair center, but after calling the garage, I came to find out the garage repeatedly in the past few weeks contacted Nationwide adjusters, who kept saying, "not OUR liability". In other words, they wanted to blame me for NOT paying a $1000 deductible on my policy for someone else's carelessness, tried to saddle me with a blame of "not informing them", but HAD been contacted, but scattered away from their responsibility like cockroaches.

So, nothing has changed with my vehicles or driving record. However, my insurance rate is climbing and climbing and climbing. I have had this insurance with this company for 15 years. So, I called. What Nationwide had to tell me was that my rate was rising based on the driving records of others in my area and increased accidents and thefts. So, I did some research. Of course, I can't view other people's driving records, but since I live in a rural area, I checked out the other two. Both accidents and thefts are down and have been decreasing for the past several years.

So, my guess is that the actuary who is creating my rate has no idea where I am. Either way, the $1368 a year increase over the last 4 years finally tipped the scale. Loyalty can only last so long. By the way, we are claim free for 15 years. So they have just been collecting premiums for 15 years! That's a long time to be collecting money and doing nothing but jacking rates. Pretty disappointing.

I was a Nationwide customer for 12 years. 6 months ago I moved across the country. At that point I needed to update my policies. Auto motorcycle, drop homeowners and pick up renters insurance. Swapping over seemed simple, I set up auto pay and no account info had changed. 2 months later I called Nationwide to help me get my keys and wallet from inside my locked car. At that point they let me know that my policies had been canceled due to nonpayment, which infuriated me because of their clear difficulty finding my account. Picture me standing in the rain staring in the window at all of my information. I spoke to 5 different representatives that evening, each insisting I pay a bill before they would help me, refusing to understand that every bit of information was locked inside the car. Realizing Nationwide would not help me I demanded the representative cancel all accounts. And I called AAA, with whom I had no membership with.

Nationwide never called or followed up. Instead they sent me a bill for $42 and absolutely no explanation why I was being charged. I figured I'd wait to hear from them before I would address this charge (I gave them all the information to auto pay) but their silence turned into collections notices. And not just from one agency, I am now being chased by 2 different agencies CEP, and CCS each claiming I owe them approximately $300 and both promising to report this to ruin my credit.

I am reaching out for advice, I am afraid to confront the collections agencies for fear of harassment. And on the other hand Nationwide has absolutely no reason to entertain my situation, clearly because they sold the problem away. Nationwide was not on my side.

Have been with Nationwide on my car ins since 2001. Backed in gf car no cops or anything in NC 3 points 4 grand damage little dent but broke computer and backup camera. So my full coverage no ded on an '08 Cobalt. Went from 98 to 194 so I took full coverage off lowered to just liability for 84 a month. Six months go by they had a small price increase. Mine went to 114. That's like 40% increase. I called. They asked to look into it. She called back next week and said, "I can lower 3 dollars." I was like, "No. I understand you upped prices but clean record minus the 3 ins pts, no tickets, nothing. Been hit 2 times not my fault but have that on video (dash cam) and they paid."

So I canceled and went to Geico for 75.25 a month. After 2 months I get a bill from Nationwide for 184 and called and threatened I didn't cancel. At this point I quit being nice and was like, "Listen, you stupid **. I told that lady I would get another insurer. Don't think I can be more clear. Tell me why it went up so high or go to hell. LOL. I am not paying." I hung up and am awaiting the next time they send me a bill. I will go down and file a lawsuit for harassment or something. I highly going recommend going somewhere else. After 15 plus yrs never late I don't deserve an answer apparently.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

If I could, I will give 0 rating with this company. I had a car accident and I claimed for it. They always want to pay as less as possible. They even don't give my total lost car value. And they told me that they will give me personal car rental amount but at the end they told me that they never promised to give me. It was really hard to deal with to get my rental amount. However, I am the person who know my rights, so I provide as much as evidence so they being for to provide that amount. That's why I don't recommend to buy the insurance from this company. They are such a liar and scam. Hard time to deal. One of the worker even don't listen to the customer, he just want me to listen him and not let me talk. Aware of it guys.

Decided to use Nationwide for my car insurance needs. Was quoted a rate which was increased twice in the first billing cycle. Decided to use another carrier. Surprise they sent me to collections. I have changed carriers in the past and never been sent to collections. Unfair business practices. Was not contacted before being sent to collections. Has a policy with a different company for the coverage dates listed by Nationwide. Would have worked the billing out if contacted. I would rate Nationwide a negative rating. There's to some great Car Insurance Companies who are eager to give the consumer great customer service and coverage. Please take note Nationwide.

I had an issue with a policy I canceled. I called the toll free number, and a fine representative named Joseph helped me. I explained my situation to him my problem, which was quite lengthy, and he resolved my problem very professionally. He made follow up calls to me, several times, to keep me informed on the progress. I do not know Joseph's last name, but I feel that he is an asset to your company by going above and beyond in helping me. This man deserves to be rewarded for his exceptional customer service, friendly attitude, follow through, and for doing an outstanding job for your company. Feel free to contact me by phone and I can give you more information. Joseph deserves to be rewarded.

Nationwide completely sucks!!!! I switched my auto policy over from Allstate (big mistake). To make a long story short, my husband doesn't have a driver's license (I'm the ONLY driver of my vehicle) and when I switched over from Allstate, the representatives asked me about my husband and I explained to him that my husband doesn't have a driver license nor does he drive (hard to believe but very TRUE). The sales rep said, "No problem... It shouldn't be a problem," and I signed up (lies).

3 months into the policy I received a letter in the mail on 2/3 stating that my policy would be canceled on 2/8th if I didn't provide the proper reason as to why my husband wasn't listed on the policy. I explained OVER and OVER again that he doesn't have a DRIVER'S License (idiots) and every time I called someone was suppose to call me back but never did. My policy was canceled (without a phone call from the mgr as requested) and now my auto insurance quotes are through the roof!!! I can go on and on but THANKS A LOT Nationwide!!! My family will be switching to GEICO!! It's more expensive but it's worth it! I will copy and paste this post all over social media because it WRONG!!

Overcharging especially when it was them who made the mistake and it looks like they did it intentionally to overcharge. They figured I was a rookie and this is my first car. I'm changing insurance company over their **. Scamming insurance company. I advise the world don't use this company. Not a fake review. Bad experience with this company over $15.

I would give this company a 0 out of 5 stars if I could and that would be generous. First off, they approved me for insurance and then canceled me two weeks later (they canceled me because my mentally challenged uncle gets his mail delivered to our house so we can monitor his bills. He has a bad driving record and even though we told them that he DOES NOT live here, they decided to cancel me anyways).

After canceling me over a dispute about whether my uncle lived with us or not (again, he does not), they proceeded to send me to collections after NEVER sending me my final bill. Dealing with this company has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I wouldn't recommend Nationwide to my worst enemy on my worst day. They are HORRIBLE!

This was in 2009 when my car was totaled, airbag deployed, the works. The investigator and the check were prompt and I couldn't have asked for better service. I've had insurance with Nationwide for over 20 years. They know their stuff and my agents are AWESOME. My 28-year-old had their policy while in college, and needed their roadside assistance which saved her out of a pickle. I now also use them for my homeowner's insurance. That's how much I appreciate everything they've done for me.

I have full coverage auto insurance through Nationwide. In Dec 2016 I was in a store Parking lot in Swansboro NC. The parking spaces were angled. I had backed out of my parking space and stopped my car, preparing to switch from reverse to drive when a vehicle from the opposite side of the parking lot backed into my driver's side passenger door. I pulled my vehicle into a parking space to see what had happened. My son called 911. An officer from the local, rural police dept responded. He took information from myself and the other driver. At no point did he take a statement from myself or my passenger. I drove away from the scene and called Nationwide from my home. They asked for a statement from me but never asked for a statement from my passenger. They asked me to send them pictures of my vehicle and to get pictures of the scene if I could, which I did, and to send them to Nationwide. The other driver also had Nationwide.

After about 2 weeks they called my husband up and told him that they had determined that the other driver and I had backed into each other and that we were both at fault. No adjuster ever looked at my vehicle. No one talked to my passenger. They got it wrong. I have been a customer of Nationwide for many years and I am now actively searching for another insurance company. If they can't get a relatively minor accident right I have no confidence that they could get any other accident right either. I'm not sticking with a company I don't trust.

Beware of this insurance company, especially for auto. I lost so much money on ridiculous fees. They are slow on mailing confirmation documents and also slow in the customer service department, then had to pay for their mistakes. It also began with asking the sales to email documentation that needs to be signed. Note: Titan is worse.

The broker Victor ** at the Natomas Sacramento CA office is shady, untrustworthy, and a bit racist. I'm in the process of changing representatives in Nationwide's system. Their rep dragged his feet taking 3 months to complete the homeowners insurance trade from Liberty Mutual (whose insurance is far too expensive for what they do and don't offer).

I am NOT the insured party. I was a driver along Business Rt 22, Wilkins Twp, PA about 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2017. I noticed a young lady by the SHEETZ air pumps broke down, with a flat, and what I THOUGHT was someone there helping her. WRONG!! SO WRONG!! I later that evening drove by SHEETZ at 6:50 PM. AND WHAT DID I SEE?? YES, I saw this poor, young, soaking, wet young lady at the air pumps! I was appalled. I immediately drive into SHEETZ'S parking lot and offered any and all assistance I could possibly give. Unfortunately, the one NISSAN'S manufacturers issued for my car, isn't worth JACK! Mine was worse than hers that came issued with her JEEP! Her insurance, NATIONWIDE, WITH THAT GREAT NON-ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, I had seen with her earlier that afternoon, over 4 hours previously!!

They told her, "We CAN'T help you, your spare needs patched." Walk down the street (BUSINESS ROUTE 22, WITH NO SIDEWALKS, MIND YOU) several blocks to PEP BOYS and have them fix tire for 5-10 bucks!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?? This "ASSISTANCE" did NOT offer to take her down, or for "INSURANCE REASONS" just her tire, have it repaired and put it on for her!!!

HE LEFT HER THERE IN THE RAIN STRANDED!!! SHE HAD TO WAIT FOR HER BOYFRIEND, to GET OFF WORK, TO HELP HER!!! She was so sweet, and very appreciative of my stopping, even if I could not actually help, but that not one other person In all THAT time had even bothered!!! I was able to find a flat rock so her jack would actually jack her vehicle up high enough to get on the repaired tire!!!

My SINCEREST OUTRAGE is due to her MISTREATMENT and LACK of any ASSISTANCE or SERVICE at all from NATIONWIDE!! This is VERY UPSETTING to me!! I have 2 young daughters, whom I proceeded to call afterwards, to make sure their roadside assistance WAS NOT with NATIONWIDE!!! Imagine same scenario, but along a deserted road!!! SHAME on NATIONWIDE, for even writing her an assistance!! I HOPE someone at NATIONWIDE looks into this matter, and EXTREMELY APOLOGIZES to this customer, and finds a way to make amends to her for being stranded a total of 7 hours in the rain! Thank goodness for boyfriend... He IS on her side!

I had the pleasure of dealing with Phyllis **, the most horrible experience ever. I sent Phyllis video footage of the accident and she says it was not clear to see. Then I sent Phyllis text messages from her client that clearly states that he hit my car. These were text messages and Facebook messages from the Nationwide client begging me not to submit the claim to his insurance and stated that he would fix it and how sorry he was. THIS WAS STILL NOT GOOD FOR PHYLLIS ** and Phyllis denied my claim. This has been an extremely horrible experience that left me driving a dented up vehicle. Nationwide obviously employs crooks. I would give a negative star rating if I could.

A representative came to us and filed the claim and it was done and over within a week without difficulty. Also, the customer service and people are so nice, but the issue we have are the high costs even though we have three policies with them. Auto insurance rates are higher for older car and homeowners insurance rises about 10% each year. We switched from State Farm which exploded in costs to Nationwide and even though the prices continue to go up they are still less than State Farm and others.

The company is fine as long as you don't have to file a claim, once that comes into play everything goes downhill from there. It was me doing all the work. I provide the police report, pictures and other helpful information to the case. You're left to investigate your own case and turn over your finding to them and they are too lazy to pick up the investigation. It's like as long as you pay your insurance every month they could care less about going after the person who hit you even when the person tells the police that they struck you and it in the police report. They are still too lazy to drag the person to court and go after his job or property. They would rather find a way down the road to raise my rates. Leaving me yet again to look for another insurance company.

I called my agent with the details and the other driver's insurance information. Nationwide paid to have my car repaired so I wouldn't have to wait for settlement from the other drivers insurance company and then they went after the other company. All in all, the process of having my car repaired only took a week. I have had Nationwide for years and have never had a problem. They are friendly, listen to you and explain things in layman's terms. Claims processing is fast. They want your vehicle repaired and back on the road as much as you do. I always receive offers from other insurance companies, but I love Nationwide and will never switch.

I've had the company for years, even VA. They're kind, but they'd drop you without notice after a claim, sell your policy and find a way to drop you completely without answers. The other company is good for nothing and you can't get in touch with anyone. Before you notice, you don't have insurance and the others don't wants your business. This so wrong.

After 30 years insuring 3 cars, motorcycles, house, and only one claim, 20 years ago, my rates drifted to 2X prevailing rates. After I retired, I had time to research and discovered I was being screwed. I cancelled all my policies and got another highly rated company at HALF the rates from Nationwide. They sent me 2 refund checks, and then an OVERDUE BILL for the auto insurance threatening me with COLLECTIONS if I did not pay it. What a MESS!

I insured my custom Jeep with Nationwide and after being in a car accident, Nationwide wouldn't pay me enough to get it fixed. They treated it like a stock vehicle even though I over insured it to cover all of the upgrades or so I thought. Buyer beware. Take your business elsewhere. I have had Wawanesa in the past and was very happy with the customer service.

Nationwide is defiantly not on your side. I started a policy with Nationwide to cover my vehicle. Everything went well for the first two months. Then I got a letter on December 2 stating that they were going to cancel my policy on December 19. The reason for cancellation was due to the fact that I did not disclose all drivers. So I called to see what I could do to keep it from being cancelled. The first thing they told me was that my call was being recorded. I told them that the person they claimed was living with me did not live in my house and also did not have licence. I was told that this information was being forwarded to the underwriting department and if they needed further information I would hear from them.

Fast forward to December 19 I received a letter at 4 P.M. from Nationwide stating that my policy was being canceled on December 19. I called them to see what I needed to do. I was told that since it canceled at midnight there was nothing I could do. So now I am sitting here with no car insurance and they are telling me there is nothing they can do other than open a new policy. I told them I cannot do that before Thursday when I get paid. So they tell me if you don't open a new policy today you will have a lapse in coverage and will have a higher premium. So I have to pay for their terrible customer service and their mistakes. Thank you for being anything but on my side. I am just going to look at reviews and shop around for better insurance.

I was once in a pileup, and the agent I called immediately showed up with checks so I could pay off the loan and look for another car, even though I had not yet submitted the complicated details of the mishap to the head or regional office. The amounts offered are certainly adequate for the needs, and the types of coverage available include the usual, such as auto, home, renters, motorcycle, business liability, recreational, life, and marine. The overall value was confirmed not only by the competitive premiums, but also by the way the claim's payout enabled me to continue on with no disruptions to me, financially. My local agent (Wayne) showed up within a few hours of my initial contact with the company, despite it being a Sunday in bad winter weather.

Claims processing was fairly easy. All I had to do was call, take a few pictures and everything was handled. I never had to go into the office or anything like that. It was awesome. I got full coverage for a premium price and mom always said you get what you pay for and I sure did. Awesome coverage, fast and accurate. You got to love Nationwide. I didn't have to pay a lot. I pay a premium price for this insurance. Even if it were a little bit more pricier I wouldn't mind because you get what you paid for and I want peace of mind. I want to know that everything is covered at a moment's notice. I can call them and everything will be settled fast, quick and in a hurry. I would rate customer service with 5 stars. I've already had to deal with claims forms and emails and customer service and everything was handled in a small amount of time. Customer service a plus.

They made sure right away what I was covered for and gave me the right people to contact for each phase of the process. I never had to wait on the phone for a rep. When I left messages, they returned my call promptly and were patient with my questions. I feel the amount of coverage I have for the amount I pay in premiums is fair. It's good to know that when I needed it, I didn't have to pay out of pocket for anything.

The value to my life is the peace of mind knowing that I can count on them to take care of expenses when I need them, like medical, loss of employment pay, and transportation needs. Everyone I spoke to about my claim was courteous and patient and explained things in great detail to me when I didn't understand something. I was surprised to discover how many different employees at Nationwide were there to take care of specialized aspects of the claims process.

I've never had to make a claim personally but I have friends that have said it is a super fast process and very simple. This is why I'm with this company. There are multiple people on my plan so this helps a lot. If I ever have a wreck I know I will be completely covered. I never have to worry about not being covered. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend for a multitude of reasons. Great value for what you have. The customer service is great. I had a discrepancy on one of my bills and they instantly fixed it and I have had no problems since the incident was resolved.

I am extremely unhappy and disappointed with Nationwide. I switched over my auto and home policy for the convenience of saving money. However, my auto policy has been so mishandled from "home office" that I have been playing "catch up" with my payments since I was 3 months into my new policy and it's going into a year now. I have a local agent and she has been working every month trying to help me straighten out the issues and somehow the "home office" seems to not be able to get anything right. I really have had a terrible experience with Nationwide.

I really regret switching over auto insurance with Nationwide. What seemed like saving money has cost me over $600 in the month of November, and now they want to charge me over $400 in December; for mistakes the "home office" continue making month after month. On top of it all, my husband and I were involved in an accident in which we were not at fault and Nationwide really did a poor job handling our claim. Switching over to Nationwide has been a nightmare for me. Nationwide is very impersonal, very irresponsible and does not put customers first. They have made numerous mistakes in my policy and then charge me for their mistakes.

No claims to report. Accident free for the time of being insured by the company. Very friendly customer service. Office was clean and comfortable. If rates were cheaper would cancel insurance have now and return to them. I am no longer with this company so I am unable to give you an estimate on the coverage they give you. New customers will gave to call the company to see for themselves. When I had coverage with them the value was ok, but after a while the rates started to go up regardless of my policy never having a claim. Customer service was friendly and helpful with any questions that you would have. Always on a first name basis. Easy to talk to and very low wait time on the phone.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.
  • AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.
  • Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.
  • Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.
  • Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance