Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
1.86/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Nearly 3 months ago, a mechanic ruined my car via a faulty oil change. The mechanic turned the issue over to Nationwide insurance and it has been the most frustrating experience I've had in a LONG time. Since the beginning, they have been disorganized and have tried to low-ball me on my compensation. They have a customer advocacy department, but even that is an absolute joke. I am finally almost settled, and even still they cannot get the proper paperwork to me. I have been without a car for months now and am pissed, to say the least! Glad I don't have Nationwide for my own insurance. They are on no one's side but their own.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Nationwide Insurance. It was the first of October, a delightful day as I drove east on I-40 late afternoon approaching Exit 18 seeing traffic bunching up in the right lane. The line of cars ahead were halted and I began slowing down. Still moving at about fifteen miles per hour, my small Mitsubishi suddenly jerked violently, ejecting the contents of the center console, throwing coins like projectiles across the car interior. The violent jolt and deafening noise left me stunned.

Realizing I had been hit from behind, I immediately steered onto the freeway shoulder, turning on the flashers, trying to gather my thoughts and understand what happened.

After a time I did the usual things in such a situation, going to the other car, verifying all were ok, exchanging information and so on. This was my first accident in over thirty years and I diligently went through the insurance company checklist pulled from the glove box. I called Nationwide, the company representing the man who struck me. The representative expressed customary regret for my misfortune then began the process to see about my car. First I needed an estimate of damages. I went to a Collision Center I frequently passed on a major street in my area. The cost to repair the damages was about nine hundred dollars, mainly replacing the rear bumper which had been dented. I left the car for repairs and I was provided a rental car from Enterprise next door. Later further damage was found to the trunk well and some connectors, but the final estimate was still only 50% of the car’s value.

After a couple days I learned from the repair shop the car had been declared a “total loss”. A curt Nationwide email announcing the “settlement” had four attached files with details of the method used to arrive at this decision. Downloading, opening and reading such files requires effort and for the moment I ignored them. Later as I questioned what was happening, I studied the documents, discovering Nationwide had contrived to make a determination of “total loss”, allowing an immediate settlement and closure of the case.

They had done this by having the collision center inflate the quote with the costs to repair minor damage from years ago, the replacement of a rear quarter panel. In other words, they ginned up repair estimates to the full cost of restoring my car to a like new, unblemished condition. The slight dent on the side panel, of course, was pre-existing and only taken into account to get the repair costs up to the “magic number” necessary to deem the car a “total loss”, the insurance company’s overbearing goal.

This best outcome for Nationwide would be the worst thing possible for me. Their “settlement” included payment for the “salvage” value of my car and I had to insist to the agent that my car was just fine, only had a wrinkled rear bumper, and I wanted to keep it. I had purchased the car brand new, kept it in the garage its entire life, and done routine maintenance myself. It was a very reliable car and although 15 years old, still like new. Ok, she said; they would deduct the salvage value from the settlement and allow me to keep it.

Now that my car had been unfairly condemned, the body shop would not touch it. Worse still, they denied me the right to come and drive it away. I was forced to have my car towed to a reputable collision center that would replace the back bumper, which turned out to be far less than the trumped up estimates Nationwide had determined in collusion with the original repair shop. Once the insurance company made a “settlement”, I heard no more from them. No one explained to me what was happening, how the “total loss” designation, Nationwide’s overbearing goal, was a disaster for me. Besides being shunned by the first collision center (partially losing ownership rights to my car), my car now classed as junk requiring a tow away, I learned the next month on reading my credit card bill I had been charged for the final week’s use of the rental car when my vehicle was still in the shop and I had no other transportation.

When first picking up the rental, the agent had asked for my credit card, saying a one dollar charge would be applied which would be refunded after return of the car. My card number was needed “for any ‘incidentals’ incurred”. After Nationwide issued the settlement check, the rental car suddenly became my expense with no notification from anyone, not Nationwide or Enterprise Car Rental. If Nationwide had promptly repaired my car, restoring it to its pre-accident condition (all I wanted), this ordeal would have been over two weeks sooner. But instead, the insurance company took a different path, a direction I consider unethical.

Donna, the Nationwide agent, single-mindedly worked in her company’s best interests while ignoring mine, stretching to brand my car a “total loss”, minimizing her company’s costs in meeting legal requirements and curtailing their responsibility. In doing so they shirked any consideration for me, the claimant, client, or whatever (victim?). In fairness to Nationwide, once all costs and expenses are considered, the settlement left me slightly ahead in real dollars, but considering the poor treatment, loss of time, stress and frustration, the insurance company still warrants an unfavorable rating. With no explanation and failure to keep me informed, I was left in the dark to face one bad surprise after another for the entire month of October in one of the most unpleasant series of events ever experienced. The Rental Car Agency and Collision Center were equally unpleasant and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I purchased an auto Insurance policy for my son and the vehicle I got for him. In the middle of the policy, my son's mom decided to get another vehicle, so I went to cancel this policy. I had removed him from the policy early way before the expiration and then cancelled it. When I called in the customer service representative said everything was fine and that I should be getting a refund of about $50, which I thought made sense.

I received a final bill from Nationwide without explanation for $52, being fairly confused and wondered about the $100 swing I called and talked to a different representative and she stated I owed. Well I was not happy of the switch in dollars and asked her to send me a breakdown of those charges so that I could ascertain how the $100 switch occurred and if I did owe the $52. Never received an account statement but did receive a letter from a collection agency. What BS Cheaters.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I would never recommend this insurance company. It SUCKS! They overcharge you and would not explain why and they charge you more than your bill if you cancelled on them. There’s better ones out there!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

First I thought Geico was bad till I experienced Nationwide Insurance. They are the worst insurance company you will have meet. One of their careless drivers caused damages to my car. It’s been two month and their unprofessional claim adjuster called Brad ** kept ignoring my calls and only got a call back from him once in two months. Yes they are that horrible. At this time I have no choice but to sue in smalls claims court. The people who write a 5 star reviews may not have claim to file yet so of course they will leave 5 stars. The only way to know if an insurance company is bad or good is when you have a claim to file. I have never seen horrible insurance company like Nationwide. Buy their useless policy at your own risk but you have been warned.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky