Nationwide Insurance - Auto
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

808 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

We have had Nationwide auto & home insurance for several years with no claims on homeowners and one claim for an uninsured motorist, not at fault accident. They had been consistently increasing our rates by $100 every 6 months for a while, but then in September 2017 they increased our auto by $100 per month. We started shopping around and found cheaper insurance and called our local agent Janet to give her one last chance to reduce our rates. Janet told us what she had previously told us 3 other times and said she couldn't.

My husband cancelled both policies at the end of September to avoid a new policy starting on October 1st. Our local agent never cancelled the policy and Nationwide sent us a big bill because they wrote a new policy and expected us to pay. My husband finally called them back after they kept sending bills, and had to send them our new Amica policies to prove we had a new policy. He forwarded an email he had sent Janet and they said they would cancel the policies but we still owed $37.85. I paid the $37.85 even though I didn't feel I should, I had made my last payment on the old policy, so how did I owe anything?

That was in January 2018, and now today (2/18/18) I receive a notice from a collection agency that I owe $25 for my auto policy, I never received a bill for this, and how do I owe anything when I made the last payment on the old policy. I bet if I would have had a claim from Hurricane Harvey and hadn't paid my bill for the new policy starting 10/1/17 I wouldn't have had coverage, but since I didn't they conveniently write another policy and expected me to pay for it.

I also believe they thought I couldn't get another policy in my area due to the hurricane, I just had to wait a month so they could see I didn't file any claims with Nationwide and Amica was happy to have my business. My credit is always in the upper 700's to lower 800's, so finding someone else isn't an issue. Nationwide doesn't reward you for being a loyal, claim free customer. Instead they continue to increase your rates until you are forced to shop around for other insurance. Amica was able to provide the same coverage for $100 less than what I was paying for just car insurance, almost $400 less a month in total.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Nationwide is terrible. It is so disappointing. I had a car on a auto policy for two years. No accidents, no tickets, and I had a good student discount. When my mom added my stepdad's insurance, they charged us a monthly fee of 1,433.97. When we called, a Nationwide agent did not ask us permission to add my step-dad on our policy. The agent never had the compassion to call us and let us know.

My agent's name was Jessica. When we removed my stepdad's car, and we left MY car, that had been on the same insurance for almost 2 years. Nationwide increased MY insurance from 119.09 to 199.09 per month!!! They started a new policy WITHOUT my consent, and added a different driver WITHOUT my consent. They are terrible people, and don't care. They are scamming you. They are trying to raise your insurance and then come up with dumb excuses so you pay MORE. Please, DO not have a policy with Nationwide. We are done. We canceled everything with them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

They're professional, helpful and honest. They take care of their clients. Submitting a claim is quick, and the car fixed in timely manner and no surprises on what is owed. I believe in an insurance company that is not owned by stockholders. Nationwide is owned by policyholders. Not answering to stockholders makes a big difference, ask Allstate. They told me to "sue them", when I had an accident, when I just wanted approx 5,000.00 to cover my medical expenses that were above and beyond my medical coverage. They played hardball, and I sued and won. The poor gal who rear-ended me was now going to be sued by Allstate, (we both had Allstate), to recoup the losses. So Allstate had to answer to its Stockholders and explain why they took someone, as myself to court, but it was a risk they took, so I will stay with Nationwide, who does not answer to stockholders.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have read many poor reviews for Nationwide and was very concerned how they'd handle our claim, but they were very helpful in our case. Their client hit our vehicle (totaled it) and left the scene. Fortunately, my husband got her license plate number. Once the police gave us her insurance info with Nationwide, I called them and they were very courteous, helpful (rental car and damage evaluation arranged same day), and they were extremely prompt for processing the claim.

The payment for our wrecked SUV was received in about two weeks (mail caused some delay) with ample time left on the car rental (at their expense) to find a new vehicle. We were continually updated and they were always available and responded quickly when called or emailed. We are extremely impressed with this company. We have State Farm, but after seeing how well Nationwide handled this claim, we are considering a change if their rates are as good as their customer service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My ConsumerAffairs complaint is in reference to three separate insurance claims with Nationwide Insurance. After working with Nationwide to get my car repaired for an accident with several impact points (hence multiple claims), for which I was NOT at fault, Nationwide recommended an auto body shop on their preferred vendor list that had no idea how to deal with my specific BMW make/model (their head technician told me he Googled how to repair my car on an Internet message board full of car geeks).

My car has not been properly repaired; the back bumper is incorrectly fitted and will cost thousands to fix, the sunroof motor is not properly functioning post-impact, and I have three spark plugs that immediately began to misfire after the accident. Combined, I expect these issues to cost at least $2,500 to repair properly. None of these post-accident issues have been addressed in good faith by Nationwide Insurance and my Austin, TX representative, Kimberlee **.

After working with Kim for 2-3 months, I feel she is not acting in good faith with my insurance claim. My car has several thousand dollars' worth of repairs that have not been addressed by Nationwide, and I've properly paid all my deductibles under my insurance policy, but I've been left with a BMW that is not driveable post-accident due to the rear collision impact causing the car's engine to consistently misfire. On top of this, my assigned Nationwide representative (Kimberlee **) in Austin, TX has been rude, belligerent, and dismissive during the 2-3 months I've been working with her, and she has deliberately not acted in good faith with my insurance claim.

She has also denied me the ability to discuss a Diminished Value claim with her, which I qualify for in Texas due to the diminished resale value of the car. Therefore, I expect Nationwide to act in good faith and finish repairing my car, and I expect reasonable compensation for the diminished resale value of my car. I am happy to provide supporting documentation for the diminished value of my car, as well as all documentation during the repair process. I have already had an auto shop of my choosing, which specializes in BMW repair, to diagnose the remaining issues and finish the repairs.

I have legal standing to file two lawsuits -- one for Insurance Bad Faith, the other for Diminished Value -- but I would rather come to an amicable resolution. My desire is to have my car 100% repaired at a shop of my choosing, and to be paid a reasonable sum for the diminished resale value of the car. From this point forward, I am also requesting a new Nationwide representative who is respectful and acting in good faith. I have every text message with Kimberlee ** saved on my phone, and I can provide concrete proof of her being rude, belligerent, disrespectful, and dismissive throughout the process. But most importantly, my car needs to be 100% repaired immediately, so I have a working mode of transportation. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My husband was in an accident. The car was totaled. During the claim process we found out that Nationwide had the wrong VIN number so the car wasn't actually insured. After they fixed that problem they then told us that we owed them money because we weren't paying enough for his insurance policy. They continued to charge us for a totaled car to be insured on our policy for 2 months even after I called to have the car removed several times. Then I got a letter in the mail telling me that the policy on the totaled car was renewed and I was being charged almost $100 more that month for the renewal process and the premium. And every time I called I got a complete run around from every person that I spoke to. And then when I asked who I should complain to I was given an 800 number that didn't work. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere for your insurance. If I could give them zero Stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Nationwide is the insurance carrier for Midas, whom did not properly perform an oil change on my vehicle. Shortly after the oil change, my engine failed due to a lack of oil as they did not properly install the oil filter, causing it to leak and the vehicle to run out of oil. Even with 2 separate automotive shops confirming this with all the necessary documents, Nationwide still will not cover the cost of my engine. I am taking them to court. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST. Regardless of what their commercials say, they definitely DO NOT have your side.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

My husband accidentally backed into his expensive sports car. The insurance company quickly responded and within a week his car was in for repair. Nationwide worked quickly to fix our car. They even informed us we needed to change our insurance since we had moved to a different state. We were thankful they were looking out for us.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Nationwide keeps track of our needs and provide personal advice regarding the value and coverage of our policies. They provide personal reminders of policy changes and fees related to the changes, by phone with a human person calling and answering questions. We are completely satisfied with the company agent and the policy offerings they provide. I would not hesitate recommend Nationwide to anyone. Filing claim was excellent, fast response to claim, continued follow up to assure that all is well and we were satisfied with their in home adjuster and rental car provided.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The agent is very prompt, and returns calls within a couple of hours, and the monthly premium is very reasonable. I do recommend this insurance company, as I am totally satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Have always been happy with Nationwide. I have used them for 15 years straight. Although I have never needed to file any claims, my local agent Mark ** has been great. Always returns calls immediately, and helps me any he can.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Nationwide is a combative insurance agency, I have had multiple issues with what the insurance agent is saying and what actually happens with billing. 1 Incident was We terminated the policy and were told that we had a 0 dollar balance. Weeks later we received a 97 dollar bill.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Nationwide has been the biggest disappointment!!! I have been with them 7 years and just received notification that my roadside assistance coverage will be cancelled due to more than 6 claims in a 12 month period!!! I have contacted numerous representatives and been on hold for over an hour each time and no one can give me detailed information about the claims. They have dates listed that I needed roadside assistance which are absolutely false and no one seems to care. I explained to upper management that the claims were fraudulent and the only thing they said was they followed up with AAA and the claims appear to be correct. They are clearly condoning fraudulent activity of someone using my information and I will have to suffer the consequences! I will no longer support this fraudulent company!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Don’t buy this Insurance. They are idiots charging extra money, my monthly payment was 75$ and I have 1 year contract but they changed mid term and start charging me 150$ for 0 reason no Accident nothing. I cancelled my policy, they said we gone refund your money, but they don’t even refund my money, around 200$.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Someone stole my car and totaled it. When I spoke to Nationwide, the agent that my mother and I have been dealing with for years did not believe what happened and threatened me with jail time even though I didn't wreck my own car. Nationwide is supposed to be on your side, but this time they were against me and didn't even try to help. I have full coverage and gap. So, now I'm without a car with 2 kids. Not so lovely way to end my year and bring in the holidays since this happened the day before Christmas eve.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Was with another insurer for 16 years, never heard excuses from them about raising my rates like they have done at Nationwide. They gave me 0 explanation that was logically correct. They said my "discounts" though still applied fall off over time (as a diminishing %), which I can see maybe 1 (new car discount), but the other one of being a loyal customer to my previous insurer for over 5 years, makes no sense. Basically saying we don't value you being a loyal customer...

My bill went up 8%, they just kept repeating themselves and couldn't give me a correct amount of what the discounts actually took off in the first place. We know they see the % and charges, but they kept saying they don't know. It is quite funny how insurance companies do this and get away with it. It's like they lock you in low rates then jack them up, doesn't matter I have 0 accidents for 10 years, or 0 tickets of any kind for 10+years. They just continue to make up excuses to change my rate. They said my rates will continue to increase till I become a 5 year customer. Let see 8% first change, so if I wait to see 2nd change... Seems their 15% discount for 5 year loyalty customer isn't worth waiting around for. I regret changing from my previous insurer.

They said all insurers do this over the phone (kept repeating themselves), does it make sense in their head to say that? So if all gas station clerks shot every customer to be sure they weren't gonna be robbed make sense too? I would suggest retraining your employees with better phrases so they don't seem stupid or how about not rip people off?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

My experience with Nationwide had been awful. I filed a claim for auto insurance after being hit by a hit & Run driver. I provided photos of the fleeing vehicle including license plate information. I had uninsured motorist coverage. Nationwide made a half ** attempt at contacting the hit & Run driver and informed me that they could not make contact with them. They then informed me that I was at fault based on the fact that I was merging into traffic when this maniac came out of nowhere and hit me! I cancelled my policy as well as my homeowner policy. I would encourage you NOT to choose Nationwide as your insurance company. They are NOT on your side!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have been with Nationwide on multiple policies for years in Washington without a single complaint. We recently moved to Texas and since we were very happy with our Insurance, we decided to keep Nationwide and move our policies to Texas. We have had the worst agent ever, and nothing but endless problems with our home and car policies. I have had to contact customer service many times in 3 months with zero help from our worthless agent Rachel who never got back to me on multiple occasions. She didn’t seem to care whatsoever. After 4 months I am cancelling my insurance. I am done and very unhappy. But it’s Nationwide, so apparently they don’t care. I will never go to Nationwide again and will tell everyone I know to never go either. It’s really quite a shame how there is such little concern for someone who has been a Nationwide customer with multiple policies for years.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have two cars and a house insured by Nationwide for the last 3-4 years, with no tickets, no accident, and no claims. I paid my premium in full every year. I was paying around $1,313.00/year for both cars. This year it was raised to 1616.00, about $300 increase. I was told by the agent because they had a lot of claims. So, being a good client with no issues at all, instead of getting some break or reward I get punished. That's what I don't understand the logic and justification behind it. I have done some researching and finally I will be starting with another insurance company that it is about $400 cheaper with the same coverage. My advice to you, get quotes from several companies, read their reviews, ask your friends about their insurance. Your time will pay off.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

They have the worst service I've ever experienced. We were stranded for three hours. Three companies would not answer the phone and we were told that they didn't want to do the tow and one company called me a slang name and said, "Find someone else"??? Nationwide apologizes but doesn't perform. It's just sugar on a rotten apple.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

As a senior who hardly drives, cost to maintain auto is outrageous as are insurance companies of all kind in distributing costs for auto, home, health etc. Current homeowner claim will not pay and Nationwide claims is indirectly processed. Claims adjuster slow and even slower when claim is processed.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

On October 15th 2017 I was hit by a driver with road rage that has Nationwide insurance wiping out the entire right side of my 3 month old car. I was attacked by the driver after he stopped but fought him off, have a witness that backs my statement and the driver was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and careless and reckless driving. Open and shut case right? Not if you are dealing with Nationwide. After finally getting the police report I submitted it to Nationwide claims rep Lawrence ** via his Nationwide e-mail address and the claims form they have. I also texted him to let him know that the police report had been delivered.

Fast forward to today and my wife talks to him, he claims we never submitted the police report and that the police report does not assign fault for the accident. When asked about the charges, he claims that the charges had nothing to do with the wreck itself. How does careless and reckless driving charges have nothing to do with the wreck? I have now been without my car for work for 7 weeks and have been driving my old SUV 120 miles round trip for work. My wife suffered a severe concussion in the accident and Nationwide has been 0 help. We are now signing with an attorney and plan on filing an official complaint with both the Insurance commissioner of our state and the BBB. I feel like I have been victimized twice.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

New ownership at Agency. Met will all clients to update coverages and take advantage of all available discounts. I had self-inflicted damage, but no other party involved, and Nationwide had prompt resolution. Minimal usage over the past 40 years. Had several agents and claims during that time and never a problem. Every time I look into changing for less cost, I find present policies cost the least.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We had a car accident (not our fault). When we called about the accident, our representative was very attentive & all bills were paid for up to our PIP allowance. Our rep would periodically call & check on us. We dealt with one rep for the PIP (the other ins carrier has already changed reps 3-4 times). We did have another rep for the vehicle repair/replacement - which was also just one person. We were satisfied with Nationwide. The customer service is always very good. As for value - they're all too expensive. I know we can shop around & keep changing insurance companies to get a better price. [They all seem to offer lower pricing to get your business; but then very quickly increase the rates after the first 6mos/year, and end up not being any cheaper than the others.] We'll stick to Nationwide for customer service, availability & price competitiveness.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I have been with Nationwide for 30 years. I have made 3 or 4 auto claims. They have provided excellent response and never raised my premiums. They are quick to respond, no claims denied & they stay on top of the situation.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My car insurance has gone up 4 times in the last two years. I haven't had any accidents or tickets in over twenty years! After finally getting through their automated system several times, all I hear is that they are general increases! I am starting to feel like I am paying Peyton Manning and Brad Paisley!!! I will look for a company without high priced representations.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

This is the worst company I have ever encountered. My vehicle was totaled by their customer and they treated me like it was my fault and I wasn't a human being. They did nothing to try to help us. They left me and my six kids without any transportation, they didn't try to handle things in a professional Manner caring about the customer. Their total loss adjuster Paige ** was very rude saying it's not their problem. Me and my babies are left without transportation. I will be taking this to the media and the press. Nationwide is not on your side. They are ruthless, thoughtless ppl that only care about themselves. They need to remove their slogan about being on your side. This company doesn't care for the people. Didn't try to make sure me and my family wasn't without a vehicle. Every news and press will hear about this discrimination lawsuit as well as unfair practice.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am very upset with my recent experience with Nationwide Insurance, my Former Insurance carrier, for over 11 years. I think that people should know just how this carrier treats their customers. Anyone think that Nationwide is on your side. This is laughable you can bet Dale Jr. is not greeting their customer and he definitely is not passing out brownies. People should beware of how this company is now practicing in their business. This company like left me out to dry and didn’t care about my situation.

On 12/13/2017 I had added another car to my policy. My payments were about $196.00 a month. That was fine. I had no problem with this payment. I had my payments on auto pay for the last 11 plus years. January 23, 2017, I went online to add another car to my policy and removed the one I added on 12/13/2017. However, with all the technology we have in today’s time, you would think that a company this large would have people there that would do their job and do it right.

On February 17, 2017, I need a copy of my policy card. I went online and notice that my car that had been on my policy for few years was not on the policy. I then called my agent Leorlin ** about what happen to my car that should have been on my policy. I was told that a few months ago I had removed my vehicle. I explained I added a vehicle and then in January removed that vehicle and added another one.

I asked now what happen to the other vehicle that had been on my policy. The agent then added my car back to my policy, which my payment went to $232.70. I was going back and forth with the agent about what they had done at Nationwide. Someone made these changes to this account. I told him I never removed the car that was on my account. Only the one that was added in December 2016.

I told him why I would remove a vehicle that I was still driving. I told him you mean to tell me that all this time I was driving and I was not protected that’s just ridiculous. Then after all that was my Nationwide on my side. I don’t think so. On February 4, 2017, after adding my car back to the policy I was then charged 850.40. What the heck, where did they get off triple charging me for something they did.

I never received a notice about this vehicle being removed from my policy. Any other changes I did, I received an email for removal and other changes. The only time I received changes about this vehicle was when the agent told me that I had removed this vehicle and I was right. I was not fairly being cared for as a long time customer.

I left this company who wanted to overcharge me a ridiculous cost for them removing a vehicle that should not have ever been removed. After this, no one from this company bothered to call me to explain these charges that jumped from 232.70 to over 800.00 dollars. Nationwide didn’t even bother to send me a letter about this matter. I’ve never had time to dispute these charges other than with the agent that did not care. The next time I knew anything about Nationwide after I had switched to another carrier was October 18, 2017, from my credit report.

I always thought you are given an opportunity to reply to something you don’t agree with. I was never given that chance. Nationwide does not help their customers even long-term customers especially if they are in the wrong. I would be wary of this company. You might get charged for something you didn’t do and then if you decide to take your business to a company that will respect you; you might pay for it with your credit.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

An angel that helped me resolve an injury claim settlement, that is how I would describe Amanda. She is one outstanding lady that went above and beyond the call of duty. Nationwide owes Amanda and a raise should be forthcoming!! Without question, I would highly recommend Nationwide for all your insurance needs. My hat is off to Amanda **!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Nationwide Car Insurance *NFL - Will be not watching NFL or supporting sponsors with advertising NFL games. Players have a right to protest on their own time and spend their own money. But we can also have the right NOT to purchase products that are advertised on your networks in protest to not standing to salute to American flag. When players stand in protest to the fans that are paying their salaries. Think about our vets for a moment. How about you take a knee in front of your bosses tomorrow or wave signs in their faces saying you’re not going to do what they are asking you to do, see how long you will be employed? Being politically correct is not always the right thing to do.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.nationwide.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use