2.42/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

776 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I would like to express my disgust with my most recent experience with Nationwide Insurance, my FORMER insurance carrier, for over 15 years. My purpose here is to inform any customer who may be considering contacting them for new insurance, or to even communicate with any current issues. One question: Did someone here get Dale Jr's cellphone? I only ask because I don't see him representing this company with the song "Nationwide is on your side" anymore. Now, I see the guy from Wild Animal Kingdom (or something like that) and let me tell you, the experience I went through on 10/12/2017 left me feeling like I was stuck in a jungle, full of wild animals, naked and afraid!

Having recently become unemployed, my employer went bankrupt, and closed, I needed to investigate a lower cost for my Auto Coverage. I got a quote online, that was AMAZING! The quote offered me a monthly savings of well over $80 a month, with better coverage! So I accepted and started the process to obtain this amazing deal. As I went through the online chat, and registration process, my amazing quote went up by over $25 per month? How can that be I chatted? There is a "claim" on your record, of $200, over the "threshold" from 9/2016.

Okay, in Sept 2016, I got hit by a City Bus. Police report filed, investigating officer clearly indicated Bus Driver at fault. As a responsible person, I called Nationwide to simply report the incident in case any problems came up later. My first words were "I am not filing a claim. The city will be covering all of my damages." Two days later, I'm at work, and a guy walks into my place of business. He says “I'm with Nationwide. I have inspected your damages, and here's a check to settle your claim." and lays it on the counter.

WHAT! I said, “I did not file a claim!” Well, he says, “It shows a claim on my end, and this check takes care of it.” and he left. It was an ugly situation, too much to re-live here. Fast forward to the present. I call Nationwide. Remember, they are on "my side"...lol. A representative answers the phone. I didn't bother with her name as, I had no intention of speaking to her. She verified all my information (they know who you are the moment you call via your phone number). “The recording says we show the first three letters of your last name…” blah blah blah. I said, “I have a problem to involved and detailed to have to go over with more than one person, please transfer me to your supervisor.”

Her reply, "I'm sorry Mr ______, we do not allow call transfers to a supervisor." "WHAT! You are one of the largest insurer's in this nation. I've been your customer for well over 15 years, and you're telling me I can't speak to a supervisor? That's absurd!" Her reply, "I didn't say you couldn't speak to a supervisor, I will send a message, and someone will call you back within 24 to 48 hours.”

My blood pressure is at about 200/150 now. I said, okay, send the message, I'm going to hang up and call my state insurance commissioner in the meantime, so I would suggest my return call takes place within the shortest time humanly possible. To my shock, right after speaking to the commissioner's office, my phone rings and it's Nationwide! Fantastic I thought, someone there gets it! It was another representative, happy to tell me that they have the name and number for the person I can speak with! I am elated! "You need to speak with Brenda **," and they gave me her number! I said THANK YOU! Ended the call, and immediately called Brenda... I can't put quotes on this one cause I can't remember exactly what I heard but... “Hi, you have reached Brenda **, I am currently out of the office until Monday, October 16th, please leave your name and number...” blah, blah, blah. Okay... blood pressure probably 260/200 now!

Low down, sneaky. Think you’re fooling me. Really ticks me off. I wonder how long it took them to find someone who would be inconveniently "unavailable"? I finally got my issue resolved, with the help of the only two people who seemed to be real human beings, but only after threatening again regarding my conversation with the state insurance commissioner. I have one question for anyone reading this. Is this the kind of company you want to do business with?

Enough said!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I had Nationwide about 3 or so years ago before switching to another company and decided to go back. Well when I signed up for GEICO I did not know I had a balance as I thought I had completed the switch prior to my new policy would start with Nationwide. This left me with an $85 dollar balance. When I decided to come back I was able to start my new policy. No problem making payments and all. Go on site to make a new payment and the account is labeled as cancelled! I call asking what is going on and I was told that it was cancelled because of an owed balance! So basically I have been driving around with no insurance for about a month now. Will NEVER use this company again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My auto policy was drop simply because I discontinuing the bundle that's when my rates went up and down. I was being billed $138 at the beginning of the policy. After the bundle was dismissed it my rates will go up and down. I was never notified through direct deposit Navy Federal Deposit that $138 religiously... It came up to $56 of unpaid fees because of the policy fluctuating is the real reason they drop my policy left me without insurance on my truck and scrambling for more insurance then had the nerve to offer help... I am paying 4x as much. This is the punishment for dropping the bundle trying to save money on a budget... sorry guys I can't use profanity on this one. Very hurt!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Worst experience ever!!! Went online to file claim for windshield... No return email or phone call... Called 2 weeks later. I was transferred to Safelite to file the claim. Was informed it would be 4 days to bring the car in or 5 days to have mobile install. Wanted to get the work done right away so I opted to have a third party perform the work. Was told that I would have to wait for someone to get back with me... I explained that wouldn't work and I wanted to speak with someone who could help me now. After no less than 6 transfers later Jane called me back with a claim number and reference number. She informed me to give the information to the vendor. Had the windshield ordered and replaced the next day. That's when the fun began. "On your side glass" called myself and the policyholder multiple times. Unbelievable. Work done on Wed. Glass company was told on Mon. that the claim was denied.

I have never and I mean never heard of a glass claim on a windshield being denied. As a matter of fact I don't even have glass coverage with GEICO and they replaced a windshield for me out of goodwill. 26 plus years in the Automotive industry and this is by far the worst experience ever with an insurance company. Spoke with Mikelle at SafeLite Solutions and she informed me that the work was denied because the work was performed before an adjuster could inspect the windshield. Sounds to me that claim was denied because Safelite didn't do the work. Oh and Mikelle's supervisor Lisa only works Mon-Fri 7 am to 3 pm Eastern Standard time. That's 4 am to noon for us here in the West. No one higher than Mikelle available to speak with.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I've been a Nationwide Customer for two years and my insurance continues to go up. This most recent time it's gone up $13! I was told by a customer rep that my rate was based on the area that I live in and the number of claims that were issued to other motorists. How is that acceptable? I'm very unhappy, and probably can't switch because all of the quotes I'm receiving from other companies is higher than the $13 increase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I am actually a Geico customer, but was recently rear-ended by a Nationwide customer and the process of dealing with them has been incredibly frustrating. I first received a call from a Nationwide claims expert last week from a blocked phone number. I don't answer blocked calls, so she left me a message and asked me to call back and leave a message with my claim number and some good contact times. I did this immediately and said I was available for the rest of the day. No callback. She then called me back the next day, and I missed the call. Her exasperated sounding message said "sorry I missed you, I'll try again tomorrow." Tomorrow? Really? So I immediately called back and said "hey I'm here and ready for the rest of the day, so please call me back." No call.

I called back later that day and let me tell you that you shouldn't expect to get a live person on the phone when you call Nationwide. She was of course "away from her desk again." The weekend arrived and so I received no further contact from Nationwide until I got a call from a number that wasn't blocked, but I was at work. Apparently my claim had been reassigned to a new rep. I again tried to call back but got no answer so I left a message. This morning I called and got the usual answering machine. We'll see if I get the randomly timed single call back today, but I assume if I miss it and even call back within minutes of when they called, that I'll be talking to an answering machine. Unbelievably frustrating. I get the sense they don't want to help. So glad I'm with Geico.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I've been with Nationwide a little over 2 years. I've never filed a claim and have not had any accidents or traffic violations but every six months my payments get bigger. In the last year the payment has increased $600 a year.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Really disappointed in this company. Received a solicitation in the mail explaining how we could get a discount on our auto insurance since my husband is a USA Football member. So against my better judgment I started a quote and followed through with an agent in my area which took up half my day only to find out outright before I thought I was going to switch from Geico to them... They wouldn't accept me because I carry an SR22. Now the SR22 is not the problem necessarily; it's the fact that their automated system ASKS SPECIFICALLY "Do you carry and SR22" in the first 5 minutes of your quote. Perhaps they should have notified me at that moment... that their company flat out refuses to accept them; so I didn't waste anymore time with them? Ridiculous and false advertisement at its best.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Nationwide is a very helpful insurance company. Their prices are a little high compared to some other quality companies. Having teenage drivers makes the insurance expensive.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

This past March, a woman backed into my car and damaged the passenger side. Nationwide is her insurance company. The police report and all evidence made it obvious that she was at fault. A Nationwide agent even contacted me and agreed that it was their client's fault, but she was being so belligerent and refusing to accept blame that the agent told me they had to side with their client. They had the nerve to ask me if I would be willing to accept half fault, which I straight up refused! My company submitted multiple requests to Nationwide for payment of my $1,000 deductible, but they never responded.

It has been 5 months now and the case has been sent to an outside litigation unit. Meanwhile, I traded my car and took a major loss due to the damage done. I am so angry! How is this legal? If your client is at fault, your company should pay for the damages. I personally will NEVER use Nationwide after seeing how unethical they are. I wish I could take legal action against them for the hell they have put me through.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience was after I was hit by someone that has coverage with Nationwide insurance that took place in February of 2017 and now is October 2017, and I'm still waiting for Nationwide to do the right thing here. But so far I have talk to different Nationwide people and still cannot get any good answer. I keep hearing stuff like "That don't need to be repair and also we will tell you what parts to use but it doesn't have to quality." They keep telling me they are going to decide what to put on it and I just don't think that is right. If the truck had original parts and the parts are available I should be getting the right parts and so they disagree with me. So I like people to know that is the paid coverage and Nationwide decided to cut corners. The people is taking a risk of getting sue or if not been involved in a headache.

Original review: July 31, 2017

In March my policy renewed. I have my checking account set up with BillPay and a check is automatically sent to Nationwide to pay premium every month. When my policy renewed again in March, the premium went up and I missed correcting the new amount a few months. I received several emails that they had received my payments. I upped my payments to send the correct amount but apparently I still had underpaid. I received 1 letter that I had underpaid by $43.08 and remembered I had upped my payments and thought they just had not received it yet... Instead they canceled my auto ins and NEVER notified me!

I was driving around without insurance for a month!!! When I called to get re-instated, they informed me basically, we no longer want you as a customer, here, call this number which was one of their low class secondary insurance co... The person on the phone taking my info did not know how to spell. I hung up and called a local insurance agent and was taken care of immediately. I have my home and RV insurance with Nationwide and had insured with them for over 25 years. NONE OF THAT MATTERED!

Original review: July 20, 2017

It’s July 19. I have been driving with no insurance since April of 2017 you ** idiots. I’m glad you won’t renew my policy. I want nothing to do with you incompetent pieces of ** and I have over 400 people on my social media and I’ll be spreading the word like ** jesus! You have my email, current phone number and mail box address and I have received no notice from any that you cancelled my policy. I hope the ** you morons go down like ENRON where you belong, maggots!!!

Original review: July 17, 2017

I've never spent less than 40 minutes on the phone with customer service & my issue has never been resolved. Every month is a different price & their response is always "we've added Texas fees". I started the SmartRide program & was told it only had to be on for three months. After completing the three months, I sent it in. I hadn't heard anything in a couple of weeks, so I decided to call. They told me the previous representative told me the wrong amount of time & that I'd have to start the program all over again. It was extremely frustrating because it was going to be that much longer that I'd receive a discount because of their wrongdoing. Now that I have completed the 6 months for it, they said I'd have to wait another 6 months to receive my discount. I was never once told this information.

I recently called & was quoted a certain price to pay for that month. I called back the next day & they said they didn't know where the previous rep got that number from. After going through the he said she said, I asked them to listen to the call. They called me back hours later to inform me that they did in fact hear him tell me that specific number, but they weren't going to honor it. I don't understand why I'd have to pay for one of their mistakes. I was on the phone with them a total of about two hours both days. This company is full of a bunch of "he said she said" representatives. None of these employees have enough knowledge of any of their policies. They definitely need better training. I will absolutely be leaving this company.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I was rear-ended by a Nationwide driver. Nationwide called me and admitted he was at fault. I have had nothing but trouble with the adjuster since the bills started coming in. The adjuster emailed me saying that she will get back to me every 30 days about my claim. In the meantime I get phone calls from the hospital saying nationwide called them needing more information. I have tried to call and email my adjuster. No word from her. Every time she does call she just tells me that she has over 100 cases and can't keep up. I have asked for her supervisor a couple of times and no call back from her.

Original review: July 7, 2017

We will be cancelling all insurance thru Nationwide Insurance - Auto and Allied. We had wind damage to our camper when towing it. We hit a big wind storm on our way to the campground and the rubber roof was hanging over the edge when we got there. We filed a claim as soon as we got home, it took 2 weeks for our adjuster to deny the claim! According to her, in order for the camper to be covered we should have had it inspected every 6 months by a dealer and it should have been recaulked every 2 years.

Our camper has been in a climate controlled building ever since it was new unless we were using it, which is about 14 days a year! There was absolutely no water damage under the rubber roof and our camper repair person said that it was definitely caused by the wind! The adjuster would not even listen to the repair man that has 30 years experience. She was very disrespectful and rude! We are very unhappy and want to warn other people that Nationwide is NOT on your side!

Original review: July 6, 2017

When I started with Nationwide Insurance they gave me a great rate with discount and stuff. Was paying around $185.00 monthly, nevertheless, after six months I realized that my monthly about $225.00 monthly, a big and huge difference. When asked about it they stated that fees where added on, which they said that my policy was renewed because the first six months is over. Okay! I was mad because you already budget to the amount they first told you about. Nevertheless, I called and signed up for the SmartRide that makes you get 10% discount which made my monthly payment off $195.00 for the on the month of June.

Come to find out that July amount went up to $206.00. When called and asked, they stated that my policy got renew. Like how many bloody times do they renew your policy! I feel cheated and disappointed, they have this big talk and yet add more and more to your policy, now I am afraid that next month is higher. I do not recommend, because they aren't honest and when you call them they try to tell you, "Ohh you didn't read the fine print." Like really!!! I'm DISAPPOINTED to the MAX. I'm ready to change insurance.

Original review: July 2, 2017

We had homeowners insurance with Nationwide/Allied for many years and never submitted a claim. We received a nasty letter saying we were being dropped because we had not rectified some landscaping issues (which they never told us about). They apparently want to drop everyone in a rural "fire" area, even though we maintain a significant defensive space and keep our home and landscaping perfect. Our broker was basically not helpful with this because he was overwhelmed with others in the same position. We have switched insurance companies.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Somewhere in Downtown Columbus Ohio (Nationwide has several buildings) they have bike guards. Apparently they patrol the streets. Last August, we were sitting in front of the BWC building on Spring Street when about seven or so bike guards surrounded us. One became verbally abusive and accused us of shooting up heroin. It was a Saturday afternoon. Everything was closed. There were no other cars around us. No people walking. My husband was headed into his office just to check on some things. I admit things got bad in a hurry. My husband was trying to get out of his car, but the guards surrounded him and one began yelling at him. I know Columbus has issues with gangs. I thought they were a gang since they never identified themselves.

There was no way to know who these guys were. They were all wearing black and riding black bikes. As one yelled at my husband and accused him of shooting me up with heroin, I became frightened. I jumped out of the car and dialed 911. I also yelled at these guys to leave at once. But one continued to claim that they saw my husband shoot me up with heroin. We are in our 50's. We've never used drugs. Never! With all the police shootings going on during that time period, I had good reason to believe these guys might have guns, and they might use them. This was all caught on video.

A week or so later I went to the Nationwide headquarters in Downtown Columbus. Nationwide denied these were their guards. I confirmed with police that they are Nationwide guards. My understanding now is that Nationwide reviewed the video (this info came from a source I can't name on here) and claimed that they would use this video as a training session. My belief is that these guys are complete frauds. It was a very quiet day in Downtown Columbus. The police even agreed that it was very strange that this situation occurred. We believe we were targeted as a training session. There were several guards, but only one of them spoke while all the others just surrounded us and blocked my husband from leaving the car.

Police did finally catch up with these guys and they admitted they were Nationwide guards. They also claimed they were in training. I have an issue with Nationwide or any company targeting people on the streets and using them for training purposes. I want answers to my questions, but Nationwide will not give a contact for this type of issue. We live close to the site that this situation occurred and every day is a reminder of what happened that day.

Original review: June 20, 2017

This is where I am. I am wishing to settle our claim, immediately. I am not wishing to play phone tag with Nationwide Insurance Company or its list of employees. I no longer wish to speak with anyone but the Corporate Office. Please, do not have anyone from Raleigh, Fayetteville, China Grove, Ohio (specifically, S.F), or Richfield to contact me. I realize the Corporate Office is in Columbus, Ohio.

Though S. (Claims Manager of Raleigh) called wishing for a settlement number($), I was not prepared to give her one at the time of the conversation; this morning. And although C.P (Claims Representative of Raleigh) attempted to have the deposit waived for the rental vehicle and informed me all seven of Nationwide's representatives have their own specialty to discuss; right now SF (the Adjuster from Ohio) has caused frustration and agitation. He states my vehicle assessment is $1,429 after the deductible of $250 even though his comparisons from Florida and Delaware are $4,000 for an 05 Kia with 174,000 miles.

He went on to state there were further damages to the doors, that I did not have upon releasing the vehicle to R&L Towing (of Richfield) who transferred the vehicle to Copart (of China Grove). He also deducted $600 for paint peeling due to age and cited "he was doing me a favor" because the original cost of paint for the entire vehicle was $1,200. This is versus the 8hours cited on the vehicle estimate.

Let's calculate his numbers: $4,000 comparison - 600 paint deduction - 250 deductible. By my calculations, this would render $3,150 for the vehicle assessment. Yet, my deductible does not apply because it was a "Hit and Run" from another Nationwide customer who was arrested and the insured was his father. Therefore totaling $3,400, if I believed anything SF had to say about paint cost. Verifying the estimate from CC (the Adjuster from Fayetteville), this is the Adjuster who relayed this information to him; I do no trust or believe the word of an Ohio Adjuster who has not been in the presence of my vehicle but cites that of a PDF file as if were gospel.

Furthermore, the PDF does not cite damage to both door handles, its states damage to the front door. So I question who is lying; Copart, Fayetteville or Ohio. And why is Copart relaying information to Fayetteville (to CC, Adjuster Fayetteville) to be sent to Ohio (SF). Do you see my current frustration with Nationwide Insurance Company?

My comparison is of a NC vehicle prior year, more mileage at $3,999. I also did Copart, your salvage company's comparison nationwide. Similar comparisons across the board reflect $4,000 as SF himself, quoted. Be it from Ohio, Florida, Delaware or North Carolina ($4,000). So as asked by S. (Claims-Manager), she desired a number for injuries sustained as a result of the "Hit and Run" by BF; specifically soft tissue neck and back injuries from my medical report and therapy for my child. I found two legal comparisons, should we elect to go to court. To the left is ** and to the right is **. My daughter suffered emotional trauma and sought medical help. I cannot put a dollar figure on being scared of what may occur due to the reckless driving of BF or anyone else she may come in contact with.

S. (Claims Manager, Raleigh) requested a number($) for settling this claim and CP (my Nationwide Representative) stated RT (representative for BF, son of insured and Ms F) will be meeting tomorrow to go over the circumstances that caused him to hit our vehicle, flee the scene, have his father assist him with aiding and abiding and ultimately, his arrest. So to whomever; here are numbers($) you can forward to Nationwide (c/o: RT and Policy-F). Property Damage of 05 Kia Rio: $3,999. Bodily Injury for Headaches, Soft Tissue Neck and Back Injuries: **. Supplementary: To be determined.

Please thank SF. His attitude, concern, and business ethics lead me to go above and beyond to collect the necessary data for my injuries and cases reflecting that of a Hit and Run and Soft Tissue Neck and Back Injuries with Headaches and my medical report to confirm. As I stated, I believed this claim would be simple; the vehicle, the injuries and the contact with my insurance company, Nationwide Insurance. What I did not believe would occur is seven representatives with different specialties attempting to confuse me into a half-ass claim. If you desire, please have someone from your Corporate Consumer Complaints Office or your Corporate Office contact me to settle my claim. I will publish this on the ConsumerAffairs website and update the NC Attorney General, NCDOI, and BBB about the current ethics and company standards of Nationwide Insurance Company.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I became Nationwide customer 6 month ago after with AAA for 14 years. Recently we were out of the country so when we were back we receive the cancellation notice letter so we call customer service right away to reinstate the policy. They flatly refuse to reinstate and now I'm out of auto insurance. I was not even out for 10 days laps from my payment. With AAA they took care right away if with in a month. So I'm very very unhappy with Nationwide policy and let all the all the member know.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I am asking for everyone's help and I never do this so please read and please share. My Dad died on January 1st 2017 and I'm sure most of you know this by now. There is a company that everyone needs to know about and a policy that everyone needs to be aware of. My Dad a few days before his death paid in to Nationwide Insurance $642.20 to pay his policy ahead on all 4 of his cars. NEVER PAY YOUR INSURANCE AHEAD. If something happens to you your money was wasted!

I called this company a few days after his death because I noticed this and asked what I should do and told them he had passed away. I was told that even though I was the only child and he was divorced that I needed to wait until I had a copy of his death certificate and until I had papers saying I was the administrator of the estate to cancel the policy, and in the meantime I had to let the cars sit. I do what I'm told at this point, and as most of you know it takes months to have this done. After everything is said and done I hand in the paperwork to them and later receive a check for $94 and of course I question them as to why it is so low when my dad had just paid them this money only a days before his death.

At first I'm told it was a mistake that the date they filed the paperwork to cancel the policy was put in as the death date instead of January 1st and they will correct it in 5 days. I wait over two weeks and call back. Then I'm told they are requesting that I sign the papers again. (No one called to tell me, I called them, so I was just waiting.) I go in and sign the papers and do everything the same as the first time and make sure again they have my phone number. I'm told to wait 5 days again - no problem it will be corrected. (Again a couple weeks later I call to check in.) I'm told I need to give them proof of insurance that the cars are all now insured. I drive back down and drop off this paperwork as well. (Now keep in mind they told me that I had to wait to cancel this policy. I wanted to put these cars from the beginning on my policy.)

I am now being told that they can only back up to the date that we insured them! When they told me not to insure them! The woman on the phone even told me to wait to insure them because my insurance company would be cheaper and our money would go further once I transferred them over to our policy. So I asked them who they were insuring because we were not on my Dad's policy. I also said had we driven the cars and wrecked them they would have told us that we weren't insured and that they wouldn't have paid out for that. I was told by them today 6/15/17 had a tree fallen on my Dad's car he would have been insured!

I said "okay my Dad, a dead man, would have been insured not us so you still wouldn't have paid us for the tree and how often does that happen?" He then tells me that I'm making assumptions that they would have paid out and that in the state of Ohio all vehicles must be insured at all times and that I need to have my insurance company call their insurance company to verify how long these cars were insured. However my car insurance is much cheaper than theirs and I wanted it on my insurance from the beginning which they held me up from doing.

So I guess they get to keep the money for the cars they told me not to insure and to let sit because I did what they said and I didn't switch them over to our policy right away! Never pay your car insurance ahead for the year if you pass away your money is gone! Your family will not see this money and you threw it out the window! NEVER USE NATIONWIDE INSURANCE. THEY WILL NOT BE THERE FOR YOUR FAMILY IN THE EVENT OF YOUR DEATH!

Original review: June 15, 2017

Charged us to leave 68.00... over charged the rate deductible... over charging 100.00... didn't send anything in the mail... I have dealt with a lot of insurance... they are by far the worst I have ever seen. What the hell is equity bill... There is no equity in autos... just lies. Be careful of companies who try to hide pricing or disappearing quotes.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I am a OTR truck driver who paid my premium on time every month. Nationwide cancelled my insurance for eleven dollars, they could have called me or rolled the amount over. Being on the road I couldn't get a mailed notice. Had I not inquired about insurance for my daughter I would have not known until I lost my job for driving a commercial vehicle with a suspension because they also reported to the BMV. They are grimy as can be.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Consumers beware!! I had a Nationwide policy and evidently just because I was the policy holder, they reported that I was the driver in an accident that I was nowhere near! Not only did I report the accident including who the driver was, who was at fault, etc. But also, I sent medical bills for the driver on my policy! (Right, not me!) Furthermore, it is their responsibility to follow up via police reports if there are any questions concerning the driver of a vehicle, or other accident information! Will Nationwide fix their error? Of course NOT!! You have to go through some third party reporting company where it will take a couple months to MAYBE be corrected! Nationwide is on the side of ripping people off and messing up their lives!!

Original review: June 11, 2017

On Jan 28, 2017 this year, I took the RV to Nationwide RV prefer body shop for repair. Initially I was told 6 to 8 weeks from Jan 28. I will get the car back. By March I was told there was factory delay. I was told by insurance the part will be done by May. After May 8, the part was completed. They find problem to ship the product from Indiana to California. The insurance company and their prefer body shop seems no clue when they will fix my RV. Almost 5 months and they still could not find way to fix my RV. I voice my frustration to Nationwide Insurance but don't seem to find a solution.

Original review: June 9, 2017

They should have given me written warning that my insurance was going to go up because of the state mandated increase. Shocking! Nevertheless, Nationwide is still less expensive than other companies for the same coverage.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have several accounts with this company including home, auto, life and 457 account. I recently received my auto and home renewal. Boy was I shocked to see such a big increase in both. I went ahead and paid the bill then I called the company to ask why such an increase in both. I was told the increase was not because of me but because the company didn't make the profit they wanted. Are you kidding me? Your profit was in the millions and that wasn't enough. After I ended my phone call in which I voiced my opinion I received another bill for my auto for an additional 5.00 charge. I plan on closing all my accounts with this company and going to a company that isn't so greedy and truly cares about providing a good service.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Anytime I have any situation or question regarding the policy, or anything that had happen with the policy. The customer service is excellent, polite, and shows that know the materials, and make you feel confident with a clear answer. The company is reliable, trustworthy. They make you welcome, that you are part of them. That has to do a lot with the agent. That for that agency you are family and they care you.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I have been with Nationwide for so long that my rates are impossible to leave or I would probably find a new company, but no one can beat the rates I get now. Also, filing the claim with Nationwide was relatively easy. I just called their toll free number and a friendly representative helped me through the process over the phone and soon it was filed.

However, the service I get from Nationwide is average, but I want above and beyond! Because hit or miss. Some of the agents are extremely helpful, while others I have had have been rude or unhelpful. They were supposed to put the customer above all else but I think Nationwide is profit first, customer second. Once you have been a customer of theirs since the 90s they know they have you and they quit trying so hard. They also do not like it if you want to get your car fixed at a shop that is not on their preferred care list, that is a big no no. My advice to those looking for auto insurance, when looking at Nationwide I would look elsewhere.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.
    • AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.
    • Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.
    • Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.
    • Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.
    • Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky