2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

4.1/5 (1465 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide provides auto insurance for drivers across the country. It’s a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, so it has the ability to focus on clients without having to cater to investors. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

Pros

• Customizable policies
  • Highly rated customer service
  • Many discount options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Expensive policies

Bottom Line

Nationwide is an auto insurance provider with highly customizable coverage options, a well-established reputation and agents throughout the country. It’s not available in all states, though, and its policies can be pricey.

Top Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive… 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased w...

Verified

I've had Nationwide for decades and have always been happy with my coverage and service. On the few occasions I've needed to file a claim they have responded rapidly, and took car...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Nationwide car insurance?

Nationwide is one of the largest insurance providers in the U.S. It provides flexible auto coverage and services in select states across the nation. The company offers reliable and affordable car insurance with customizable policies so you can create and pay only for the coverage you need.

Nationwide car insurance coverage

Nationwide offers typical policies that are highly customizable. Its coverage includes:

• Bodily injury liability: Helps pay for medical bills or loss of income due to an accident you caused.
  • Property damage liability: Aids in covering damages to another person's vehicle or property due to a covered accident you caused.
  • Personal injury protection: Can help with medical bills and loss of income due to a covered accident.
  • Uninsured or underinsured motorist: Covers costs if you’re hit by someone with no or insufficient auto insurance.
  • Medical payments: Helps pay for medical expenses if injuries from a covered auto accident put you or your passenger(s) in the hospital.

Nationwide also offers several other customizable coverage options, including collision, comprehensive, rental car, towing and labor and more.

Nationwide auto insurance quotes and costs

Nationwide doesn’t have a set rate for auto insurance, but its average annual policy costs seem to land around $1,864. This is a bit pricey; however, rates depend on your customizations and coverage needs. Other factors that affect your car insurance rates include your age, location and driving record. We recommend getting a quote based on your exact needs and situation. Keep in mind Nationwide does offer discounts and money-saving programs, including:

• SmartRide: Discount based on a device that tracks how safely you drive; you get 10% off just for enrolling and up to 40% off depending on your driving.
  • SmartMiles: Mileage-based discount; the less you drive, the less you pay.
  • Vanishing Deductible: Earn credit toward your deductible after three years of safe driving with no claims.

Nationwide car insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide have accident forgiveness?
Yes, Nationwide does offer accident forgiveness as add-on coverage.
Where is Nationwide car insurance available?
Nationwide is available in all states except Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana and Massachusetts.
Does Nationwide have a full coverage car insurance plan?
Yes, Nationwide offers full coverage that's highly customizable.
Does Nationwide cover windshield repair?
Yes, Nationwide does offer windshield repair.

Is Nationwide car insurance good?

Nationwide offers legit and highly customizable auto insurance. Although its policies can be pricey, it could be worth it if you want the reliability of a well-established and financially stable insurance company. Its plans are also highly customizable. Especially if you have a clean driving record and can install its SmartRide device to gain discounts, Nationwide might be worth the extra cost.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We had to file a claim for one of our properties and I cannot recommend Nationwide enough. We got payment within 2 weeks of the incident and it was very professionally handled. All the construction people said that this timing is unheard of from an insurance company. I will be a customer for life. Thank you so much Nationwide for making this event a very positive experience.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We've been with Nationwide for over 20 years. They have answered all of our questions and handled various claims quickly and without problems. Our local agent's office always answers or returns our call within a short time, and they're always pleasant. We trust Nationwide. They also provide discounts for belonging to a credit union. We have never been sorry that we keep Nationwide being sure that we are getting good rates and good coverage.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I found out that Nationwide Insurance's view of negotiation was 'it our way or the highway'. They were very unreasonable to work with and the amount they were offering was well below what I could replace the vehicle for, with the same make, model and mileage. I would only deal with them if I wanted cut-rate insurance coverage.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Customer for 18 years, Home & Auto. Never had a single problem, payments always made on time. I set up auto pay to pay my bill every month at the 24th for as long as I can remember. 2 months ago I moved out of the state of Maryland, I own properties in two states. My Maryland home had not been sold but had been placed on the market. I submitted a change of address to the Post office and requested mail be FWD to my new address. A non account specific letter (junk mail) from Nationwide was Returned to Sender rather than FWD by the post office. Nationwide has some policy to Cancel any Auto payments upon notice that a customer no longer lives at the address on record. NO email notification, No phone call notification, auto payment canceled. NO notice of payment not made, I check two weeks later policy canceled.

I had the options to reinstate which I did immediately. After reinstatement I was told that I was no longer able to set up auto pay and payments must be made directly. That my January payment had been covered with my reinstatement cost and my next payment was due in February. They DID NOT tell me that Direct payments have a DIFFERENT due date than scheduled auto payments. I set a calendar reminder to make my payment Feb 24th, like I have done for years, while I was still on the phone with the agent!

Surprise... Direct payments are due on the 3rd, I log in to make my Feb 24th payment, my policy is canceled AGAIN. AGAIN with NO contact via email or phone or mail. "It is the customer's responsibility to make sure all payments are made on time." Nationwide will not reinstate me as a customer. State of Maryland charges $150 per vehicle from the day your policy is canceled and Most insurance companies will not cover you without prior insurance which I now don't have. This is ridiculous customer service after years of loyal ON TIME payments.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

When offers signed up with this company I thought the prices were great. However within 6 months my premium went up for no reason. Their prices are too high and your best bet is to keep searching for automobile insurance. And don't even try to get a refund because I'm trying now. I canceled the policy and don't do the electronic funds either out of your account. It is horrendous trying to get your money back from them. And when you call in to make a change on your account you get someone from another state not the state that you live in. And the Smart Ride app don't even do it. It's worthless.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Nationwide is very deceitful! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's $18 million in punitive damages in 2014. They gave me hard times and won’t communicate even though it is their mistake and they ADMITTED it is their mistake. I changed my home insurance to join them ONLY BASED on a credit that I was told I will get on my car insurance that never materialized (gave me a price then the bill later showed something else) and it is all recorded.

21 Sep 2020 I called Nationwide, got a quote from Tiffany for adding home insurance to my current car insurance with them. She said I will be getting a credit on my car insurance and pay $76.32 for the next 6 months instead of what I am currently paying now for my car insurance and I will see that updated on the website within 24 hrs. 24 Sep 2020 I received my car insurance statement via email for the next 6 months and it indicated I will pay $80.12 next month (October) then $84.76 for subsequent bills. Same day I called them and they transferred me to Kyle in Recording Departments to help verify the recording. He said he will call me next day.

25 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called him, he said he has the recording but he can’t find exactly anything about the $76.32 I was promised to pay. He said he will listen again and call me on Monday 28 Sep 2020. 28 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called asking to talk to him. They said he is out for the day and won’t be back until 30 Sep 2020 so I told them I found the recording on my phone and found out that Tiffany said $76.32 at the 12th min of the recording that lasted 35 minutes. I asked to escalate the matter. They did and promised someone from Escalation Department will give me a call next day.

29 Sep 2020 Eddie (Eduardo) from Escalation Department left a voicemail in the morning asking me to give him a call back. I called him back 3 times in which I had to leave three voicemails because he didn’t answer. Same evening, I called 4th time and asked to talk to Escalation Department (not necessarily Eddie) so the agent Jenny asked me to hold, then after a few minutes said they will not talk to me and they reviewed the recording and they found it is an agent error and that the price I was told was only an estimate. So I asked Jenny to let me talk to someone in Escalation Department because if that was an agent error then they need to honor it and if it was just an estimate, then why Tiffani (the licensed agent) asked me to check the website in 24 hours and that the new car insurance fee will be showing.

Bad customer service. Made me explain my case several times and didn't help me. Claimed they can't verify what I was told until I said, "I have it recorded and I can send you the recording" which forced them to admit that what I was told took place. Even when they admitted it is their agent mistake they won’t do the right thing. I hope these people pay the price 10,000 times more.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a uninsured driver. My car had been in the shop now over 45 days because parts was hard to get due to Cov-19 back ordering. You would think they would be "on your side" and extended the rental car but no. I'm left holding the remaining balance after 30 days. 9 yrs of on-time payments even when I sick with Cov-19. Never missed one payment. Never asked for financial help. But now I have to pay the deductible and the extra rental car payment till my car is repaired. I could see if it was a fault of my own but I wasn't.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really liked the fact that Nationwide offered (accident forgiveness & identity theft insurance) on my auto insurance!!! Less worries! I am a victim of identity theft and this day and time you can never be careful enough.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Customer service reps are very informative and helpful. The coverage is pretty standard nothing that would make it stand out against the rest. Discounts are applied quarterly if you have no accidents or tickets in the timeframe. They offer SmartRide which is tracked by an app on your mobile device. Your driving history is tracked for 3 months and if at the end of the 3 months you have no accidents and are driving “safe” a discount is applied. The amount of the discount depends on the information collected from your driving history. I have had coverage with Nationwide for almost 2 yrs now and overall I would say that they are a pretty good company.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Simply seeking SOME communication/clarification from "seller" agent H. ** but after NUMEROUS call on "hold" or disconnected learner she does not, "speak to customers"! WELL,...EXCUSE ME,.. I accepted your sales letter as TRUTH; how naive of me!

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Company Information