2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.07/5
Based on 1,382 ratings submitted in the last year

Nationwide provides auto insurance for drivers across the country. It’s a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, so it has the ability to focus on clients without having to cater to investors. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We had to file a claim for one of our properties and I cannot recommend Nationwide enough. We got payment within 2 weeks of the incident and it was very professionally handled. All the construction people said that this timing is unheard of from an insurance company. I will be a customer for life. Thank you so much Nationwide for making this event a very positive experience.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We've been with Nationwide for over 20 years. They have answered all of our questions and handled various claims quickly and without problems. Our local agent's office always answers or returns our call within a short time, and they're always pleasant. We trust Nationwide. They also provide discounts for belonging to a credit union. We have never been sorry that we keep Nationwide being sure that we are getting good rates and good coverage.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really liked the fact that Nationwide offered (accident forgiveness & identity theft insurance) on my auto insurance!!! Less worries! I am a victim of identity theft and this day and time you can never be careful enough.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Customer service reps are very informative and helpful. The coverage is pretty standard nothing that would make it stand out against the rest. Discounts are applied quarterly if you have no accidents or tickets in the timeframe. They offer SmartRide which is tracked by an app on your mobile device. Your driving history is tracked for 3 months and if at the end of the 3 months you have no accidents and are driving “safe” a discount is applied. The amount of the discount depends on the information collected from your driving history. I have had coverage with Nationwide for almost 2 yrs now and overall I would say that they are a pretty good company.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

When offers signed up with this company I thought the prices were great. However within 6 months my premium went up for no reason. Their prices are too high and your best bet is to keep searching for automobile insurance. And don't even try to get a refund because I'm trying now. I canceled the policy and don't do the electronic funds either out of your account. It is horrendous trying to get your money back from them. And when you call in to make a change on your account you get someone from another state not the state that you live in. And the Smart Ride app don't even do it. It's worthless.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Nationwide is very deceitful! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's $18 million in punitive damages in 2014. They gave me hard times and won’t communicate even though it is their mistake and they ADMITTED it is their mistake. I changed my home insurance to join them ONLY BASED on a credit that I was told I will get on my car insurance that never materialized (gave me a price then the bill later showed something else) and it is all recorded.

21 Sep 2020 I called Nationwide, got a quote from Tiffany for adding home insurance to my current car insurance with them. She said I will be getting a credit on my car insurance and pay $76.32 for the next 6 months instead of what I am currently paying now for my car insurance and I will see that updated on the website within 24 hrs. 24 Sep 2020 I received my car insurance statement via email for the next 6 months and it indicated I will pay $80.12 next month (October) then $84.76 for subsequent bills. Same day I called them and they transferred me to Kyle in Recording Departments to help verify the recording. He said he will call me next day.

25 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called him, he said he has the recording but he can’t find exactly anything about the $76.32 I was promised to pay. He said he will listen again and call me on Monday 28 Sep 2020. 28 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called asking to talk to him. They said he is out for the day and won’t be back until 30 Sep 2020 so I told them I found the recording on my phone and found out that Tiffany said $76.32 at the 12th min of the recording that lasted 35 minutes. I asked to escalate the matter. They did and promised someone from Escalation Department will give me a call next day.

29 Sep 2020 Eddie (Eduardo) from Escalation Department left a voicemail in the morning asking me to give him a call back. I called him back 3 times in which I had to leave three voicemails because he didn’t answer. Same evening, I called 4th time and asked to talk to Escalation Department (not necessarily Eddie) so the agent Jenny asked me to hold, then after a few minutes said they will not talk to me and they reviewed the recording and they found it is an agent error and that the price I was told was only an estimate. So I asked Jenny to let me talk to someone in Escalation Department because if that was an agent error then they need to honor it and if it was just an estimate, then why Tiffani (the licensed agent) asked me to check the website in 24 hours and that the new car insurance fee will be showing.

Bad customer service. Made me explain my case several times and didn't help me. Claimed they can't verify what I was told until I said, "I have it recorded and I can send you the recording" which forced them to admit that what I was told took place. Even when they admitted it is their agent mistake they won’t do the right thing. I hope these people pay the price 10,000 times more.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a uninsured driver. My car had been in the shop now over 45 days because parts was hard to get due to Cov-19 back ordering. You would think they would be "on your side" and extended the rental car but no. I'm left holding the remaining balance after 30 days. 9 yrs of on-time payments even when I sick with Cov-19. Never missed one payment. Never asked for financial help. But now I have to pay the deductible and the extra rental car payment till my car is repaired. I could see if it was a fault of my own but I wasn't.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Simply seeking SOME communication/clarification from "seller" agent H. ** but after NUMEROUS call on "hold" or disconnected learner she does not, "speak to customers"! WELL,...EXCUSE ME,.. I accepted your sales letter as TRUTH; how naive of me!

Original review: June 28, 2020

Since May 12th I have been given incorrect billing, can never speak to the same agent, conflicting info about policy, then get a letter my policy is canceled! Don't even waste your time - you could end up uninsured without knowing!

Original review: June 18, 2020

After receiving a quoted price on the phone with an agent I purchased insurance paying for a one year policy in full. Two weeks later I received an additional bill for the same policy. After a week of back and forth I finally got to talk to someone and their statement was that my price was raised due to a question on my credit report in spite of a 793 credit score. I cancelled my policy immediately and will not do business with this company again.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company sells homeowners, life and other types of insurance, in addition to auto insurance. It has a 24/7 claims center. Insurance is available for all types of vehicles, including classic cars. Safe drivers receive discounts for good driving behavior tracked through an app.

• Coverage and plans: Nationwide has typical coverage to keep auto owners in line with state regulations. It also has add-ons like gap insurance, SmartRide tracking for good driving behavior, annual reviews for discounts and accident forgiveness.

• Cost: On average, full coverage from Nationwide costs around $1,350 a year. Minimum coverage costs about half that.

• Discounts: Nationwide has discounts for bundling, certain organization memberships, safe driving, automatic payments, safe driving, good students and anti-theft devices.

• Standout feature: Nationwide’s vanishing deductible option lets customers save money for driving safely. Every year that goes by without an accident, the deductible decreases by $100. A $500 total reduction is the limit.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor