Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.02/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had an auto accident while I had this insurance company for my auto coverage. I hit a parked car when I slid on the ice. I contacted the insurance company and the police. Provided them with the details by phone and within one week the car was deemed totaled and they cut me a check for their valuation of my car which was considerably more than I ever expected. It was a smooth, seamless transition and I was able to purchase a newer vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

First I thought Geico was bad till I experienced Nationwide Insurance. They are the worst insurance company you will have meet. One of their careless drivers caused damages to my car. It’s been two month and their unprofessional claim adjuster called Brad ** kept ignoring my calls and only got a call back from him once in two months. Yes they are that horrible. At this time I have no choice but to sue in smalls claims court. The people who write a 5 star reviews may not have claim to file yet so of course they will leave 5 stars. The only way to know if an insurance company is bad or good is when you have a claim to file. I have never seen horrible insurance company like Nationwide. Buy their useless policy at your own risk but you have been warned.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have had over 40 yrs. Minor increases in rates. Never felt a need to shop around. Have had great service, response, and coverage with several large claims. Appreciate availability and personal service of local agent.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Had Nationwide for almost 5 years - Gary ** in Mechanicsburg PA. I moved to Texas and notified him of it within 2 months. My rate didn’t change for 8 mos. THEN I bought a place and went online to change address... Next thing I know my rate jumps from $170. A month for my leased vehicle to $330. Without any notification! Auto pay directly from account! There should have been a phone call or email at the VERY least! I switched to another company ASAP and Nationwide had the NERVE to bill me for another $23.00! I refused and after 4 mos they turned it over to collection! What a RACKET.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky