Find the Best Match

Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.98/5
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

949 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have had Nationwide Ins. for years and can't remember the last time I filed a claim, two weeks ago we were driving on the freeway in rush hour traffic when a huge metal piece came out of nowhere. We hit it and ended up with two flat tires and messed up rim, we were lucky we didn't hit someone. When the tow truck driver got to us he said there were three cars and a truck that hit it also and had damage. The adjuster came out, said it was a comprehensive claim with a $100.00 deductible so filed it that way.

A few days later we get a letter from Nationwide that they changed it to comprehensive claim with a $500.00 deductible and had already sent a check, without even talking to us. I tried to talk to Nationwide's Pamela ** but she was extremely unresponsive. I have homes and cars insured with Nationwide and if they will do this on a small claim what will they do if anything big happens?? Very disappointed in Nationwide and the way they handled my claim!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Our JEEP PATRIOT was driven over a repaired part of the street within the apartment complex where we reside when our JEEP suddenly went down and popped back up very roughly. After getting to our apartment we went into our apartment but when we came back out, there was a puddle of oil coming from underneath our JEEP. I went back inside and called our insurance provider Nationwide Insurance where a claim for the accident was created. Afterward Nationwide sent an insurance adjuster out, who verified the damages, and who decided to have our vehicle towed to a repair area within a new car dealership to avoid any possible engine damage.

Once the vehicle was there no one told them of our Jeep's inability to hold oil, nor that it did not have any oil in it. After learning this I asked the service man by the name of Chad @ Medina Auto Mall to pour some oil in it and tell us what is not connected or what did we lose after plundering into the hole. Chad told me that he would do that but after about a month we called back twice and it still had not been done; once my husband called back and was told that no oil had been yet poured into the JEEP and my husband was told that there was oil pan damage which is something different than what Damien the Nationwide Insurance Adjuster had told me, but no oil still had not been poured into our JEEP.

The next week we received an automated survey call asking about our repair done at Medina Auto Mall, but our vehicle was still supposed to be @ Medina Auto Mall. So after receiving this phone call, I called and spoke with Chad who told me that our JEEP had been repossessed. So I called Capital One where I was told that they had received a letter from Medina Auto stating that if they did not come and pick-up their vehicle from Medina Auto Mall then they would apply for a lien and once gotten they would sell the vehicle.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I had a $500 deductible. Made a broken windshield claim that turned out to be under that so it was out of pocket. I told them to cancel the claim since I found someone that was cheaper than their "provider" by $70 and they weren't covering anyway. They still counted it as a claim and raised my rate by $85 a year, even though I have no tickets or accidents! They do NOT honor the provisions of their policies unless you force them to. They misrepresent what they sell you, and even if they do not pay a claim, they count it against you as a claim and raise your rates.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This insurance company is disgusting. I'm completely speechless when it comes to their ethics. I really can't say much except, (because we have hired a lawyer to handle our claims with them) don't go with them for insurance, they will ** you up if you are their customers and they will screw you sideways if you are filing any sort of claims, if you're not their clients; even if a child is involved in any sort of accident. JUST DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON'T GO WITH NATIONWIDE. You will regret it. Just ask Ms. Kimberly ** (an adjuster for Nationwide) how she would handle a child's claim after an accident... She's atrocious. I've also has the pleasure of working with another adjuster named Ms. ** (that's her last name ). I forget her first name. She flat out told me that she didn't know how insurance worked at another state and she's an adjuster! Omg! What kind of people are they hiring to work here?

Original review: July 10, 2018

Back in early June, I took a trip to my grocery store. I backed out of my parking space and was about to put my car in drive when, because I was looking behind me, I saw the car diagonally across the aisle from me start to back out toward me. I was at a complete stop. I honked my horn at least 4 or 5 times to alert the other car that I was there because I didn't have enough time to put my car in drive and move out of the way, but they continued backing toward me anyway until they hit me.

I've never been in an accident (outside of hitting my dad's car in our driveway soon after I got my license), so I wasn't totally clear on the procedure, but I got out of my car, took pictures of the damage to my car (there was no damage done to the other car that I know of) and the other car's license plate, and exchanged names and numbers with the passengers of the car (a middle-aged woman and her husband, I assume). They *apologized* because they knew they were totally at fault. They asked if I had insurance, I said yes, I drove home and immediately called Nationwide to file the claim.

Today I got a call that they've declared liability to be 50/50 because we were "both backing toward each other." That's a blatant lie. I told this to Nationwide several times. I backed out way before the other car did, I was at a complete stop when they backed toward me, I saw them backing toward me, and I honked several times at them to try and get their attention. How is that in any way my fault? Sounds like a middle-aged couple trying to take advantage of a 20-something who's inexperienced with proper post-accident procedure by straight-up lying to their insurance company. I wish it hadn't happened so long ago because I'm sure the grocery store has cameras in the parking lot.

Anyway, today I get the voicemail from an insurance agent that I've been found 50% liable (again, completely ** claim and the driver of the other car knows it). I called back not even an hour later (6 times), no answer. This has happened every single time I've tried to call Nationwide. Even if I call just a few minutes after receiving a voicemail, they're impossible to get a hold of. So after calling 6 times, I left a voicemail that wasn't returned. Just now, over 3 hours later, I tried calling again - still no answer. Where the hell are your agents? Why don't you try harder to stick up for your customers? Nationwide is on your side, huh? Well I call **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: July 10, 2018

Since BBB will not post my customer review since I filed a complaint I will post this everywhere I can… I have never written a review until now! I am so disgusted with myself for being a customer of theirs and giving them any of my business. I have made it a personal goal to get as many people to cancel. Buyer beware!!! They will be on your side until you file a claim!!!

I was in a car accident that was not my fault. My car was totaled and now Nationwide is refusing to honor their statement of "Nationwide is on your side." They will not offer a reasonable settlement amount. I have spent $30,000+ with this company on insurance in the last 8 years. They have done nothing but cause more stress to an even delicate situation that I NEVER ASKED FOR. I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with 55,000 miles. There are NO vehicles and I quote "my area" to compare so they are using comparables with 81,000 to 100,000+ miles to compare to. On their report they are giving the higher mileage cars more than $2,000+ of added value but yet when it came to my car with 40,000+ less than the other 2-3 comparables. They are only trying to give me $978.00. For the tags that I just spent $91.00 back in March 2018. They only want to give me $23.00.

I have asked for $9500.00 which is a fair and reasonable request. (Since I was forced to do the job THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING.) I found my exact car... The only difference was it had 40,000 miles within my area with an asking price of $12,995. If you take off even $2000.00 for the "mileage difference" which is way less than the 40,000+ difference in the original comparisons to make up for the 15,000 difference that is still $10,995. I'm still asking 1,500+ less. This company sent out an adjuster and he put down issues with my car that isn't even there. I pay this company money for a service and when something happens like this I shouldn't have to be more stressed dealing with an accident that I NEVER asked for.

I wish I could have my car back. I bought it brand new and I am the only owner and I took very good care of it. I know I won't get full price for the vehicle but you would think the company that is supposed to have your back, wouldn't do everything in their power to pay the least amount. I was already taken advantage of with my husband's car when he was in an accident that wasn't his fault either. Come to find out we could have gotten 5,000-8,000 more than what we accepted because we didn't know any better, and we needed a car ASAP.

I am still being charged each month for insurance I am not even using. Worst part is there is $100.00 a day storage fee where the car is located until this matter is handled. They only said they would pay 2 weeks and it's been now almost a month. The claims guy came back and said I was fine with paying storage fees after the 2 weeks. Which I was okay with because (1) I didn't want to be rushed & (2) I NEVER expected this to take as long to get this settled/unacceptable offer. In the beginning they tried their hardest to get this settled quickly.

Now they're taking their time and taking over a week just to get back to me. Now they want me to evoke my appraisal clause and pay out of pocket up to $500.00 and pay for an independent appraiser to determine the value of the vehicle... And I quote "which may not come back the way I want it to with value" then they turn around and offer me $500.00 more to settle now. I can go on and on in more detail about the AWFUL customer service they have and how SHADY this company actually is. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE. I will be canceling my other policies I have with them the second this over, I have waited because I am afraid they will hold that against me as well.

I want this company to know what they are doing is WRONG!! People pay a lot of money each year for insurance and when a horrible incident like this occurs, especially when you are not at fault... You shouldn't be put through what I've gone through the last month. I've already lost my vehicle. Now I can't even get enough to replace it with something similar. People pay insurance for this exact reason... Which is optional. I really wish this company would honor their statement of being on your side... Or change their statement. ***FALSE ADVERTISING*** They offer New car replacement... Well this is only for the first year... They do not tell you that either. ***FALSE ADVERTISING***

Original review: July 6, 2018

Nationwide Insurance Company does not abide or comply with their responsibilities with regards to Insurance policies and claims. They find in a ingenious way every detail, pretext and loophole in order to avoid payment. They have not paid any of the claims submitted in the last (24) months. They are professional thieves and they should be stopped and sanctioned by the US Government. By not stopping them now the Government will allow them to steal from thousands of thousands of additional clients. I do not recommend Nationwide Insurance and all consumers should beware of doing business with them.

Original review: June 29, 2018

They just raised the rates significantly and my independent insurance agency suggested switching to Auto-Owners which I have done.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Slow on processing claims. Nationwide took 5 months to provide a service to me as a customer to get a small $4000.00 med pay. Never has anyone taken this much time to provide an excellent customer with the benefits that they have already paid for and earned.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Claims agents will follow the policy to the letter, which is fine for most cases but leaves little room for flexibility in resolving issues. In my case when I got a flat, I found a way that lets me expense them much less and gets me home faster, but ended up paying out of pocket as my solution was not specifically spelled out in the policy.

I qualified for trip interruption insurance under the Auto Insurance Plus package when I got a flat coming down from Yosemite. This means I'm covered for transport, meals, and lodging until I get home. I needed to get the tire replaced as I had one of those cars that only does run-flats (meaning no spare), but they were on order for 24 hours from all the tire shops in Merced.

After discussing the issue with the agent at the emergency hotline, I ended up buying a cheap tire to get me home to Redwood City on the same day (and then got the right tire at my own expense after). We agreed this made more sense for both parties - it cost much less than a hotel + Ubers would have cost, plus it gets me home quicker. However, when the case was passed on to the claims agent afterward, the reimbursement for the tire was rejected as it didn't fall under 'temporary transport' but rather as parts. Weirdly though, they said they would have reimbursed me had I stayed another night to wait for the tire, which would have caused them much more and me missing another day at work.

I understand the letter of the law and how it's meant to prevent abuse. In this particular case though, I clearly kept Nationwide's best interest in mind throughout, and it's disappointing that I'm effectively being penalized for saving them money. For a customer like me who looks for the most effective and efficient ways of solving problems, this was a big slap in the face.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Nationwide doesn't care about their customers. I saw online my balance was $115 and my premium left was $115. So when they took their payment, premium and balance were $0 but my renew wasn't until July. I called on May 14th to find out why. They said because I used SmartRide my premium went down. She said no payment due until July.

So it's now June 08 and I look at my statement, it says I owe a balance. I called to file a complaint. They got back to me saying that they apologize but the lady didn't tell me the right information. We all have a budget that we must stick to. My wife and I do every month. So when Nationwide told we didn't have any payment in June, we were happy. We had a little extra money to spend. Now look, we are under undue hardship thanks to Nationwide. They don't care. They said if we don't pay it within a few days when it's due, they will charge us an additional $10 late fee. They might be cheaper, but cheaper isn't always better. They should pay that $115, but we all know they won't. So basically, they can lie to customers and get away with it. Nice company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Insured admitted auto liability and Nationwide admitted insured's liability yet the Claims Associate, John **, requested that I file a claims with my insured. He asserted liability coverage yet all estimates are well below coverage amounts. No follow up phone call from Diane **. Very poor management of admitted liability. Complaints on Yelp, etc. social media will continue until resolved.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My son had two accidents one of which was under accident forgiveness. Well I just got letter today of non renewal. I am speechless. We're to talking about tens of thousands of dollars. We're talking 13000. Almost every member of my family uses Nationwide but I can promise you this. This is your notice of non renewal for 11 of my family members. On my side lol ok.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Nationwide Insurance is a reputable company with good overall ratings. Pricing for policy was less than Travelers, State Farm and Allstate for comparable coverage. The agent suggested various coverage options and amounts, which I didn't have on prior policies through other carriers. These suggestions were very helpful.

Original review: May 25, 2018

When I lost my job Nationwide Insurance listened and worked with me so I didn't lose my insurance, also gave me a very good quote. Additionally, they are very helpful when I have questions or problems.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Nationwide Insurance came through, but it wasn't without persistence, effort, or hassle. I bought the 'aftermarket' bumper to bumper warranty at the time of purchase. The truck, a decked out custom Ford F350, had a pile of aftermarket add ons already installed when purchased. A PacBrake Exhaust Brake, Banks Dynafast kit, Edge on-board computer, extra turbos, and airbags. The truck was built to tow heavy weights, and was initially awesome.

However, it started having transmission issues. Nationwide attempted to deny the claims, stating 'aftermarket goods' (which were there when I bought the warranty & insurance policy... and they were questioned BEFORE the purchase to make sure they were covered). Once I proved that, they covered it... but it wasn't quick or easy. Next problem, rather than installing a new transmission they did a rebuild. A few months later that failed, and the problem started again. And, again, after a bit of a fight, they covered it... with another rebuild.

While they 'stood up' and dealt with things, I had to be very persistent and have all the documentation to prove 'my case.' 4 rebuilds later, they finally put in a new transmission... which solved the problem. The truck is still running today (6 years later). Had they done that the first time, the problems would have been easier and better. Had they not fought me each time, my opinion of them would have been better. So I would consider them again, ONLY IF I HAD EVERYTHING IN WRITING, or it was a 100% stock vehicle.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have tried to get my ex wife's name removed from my policy since day one, only to be given the runaround. Wasn't even married to her when I got the current policy, yet they won't remove her name unless she calls them to do it. I cannot locate her nor do I want to.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Overall Nationwide is a great company to work with. If you never have an accident or an insurance claim then the premiums may be too much to pay for your needs but if you have had anything to happen to your vehicle or property or just want the peace of mind if anything does ever happen then those higher premiums are worth the money spent. You can expect the service to be what you have paid higher premiums for. My wife had hit a deer while driving and then called Nationwide to file the claim. The experience was fairly simple and quick. We was able to take our vehicle and get the estimate from a collision expert of our choosing and after the check had came in the mail we had it fixed to our liking.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Nationwide has been accepting premiums for me for 3 years for a vehicle that had a salvage title. I have been paying for full coverage on this vehicle. The car was totaled on 05/13/2018. They are now offering me $500.00 for a 2008 Pontiac G6 due to the fact that it has a salvage title. I call the support line and the one lady informs me, "We do not cover salvage autos for anything but liability." I respond, "Well you have been for the past three years." She says I should be refunded this... she checks with underwriting and they say no; not going to happen.

Do not trust anything anyone from this company. Tries to blow up your hiney... they are deceitful and will not be on your side if you are trying to get a legitimate claim handled. Even if you have to pay more monthly trust me your peace of mind is worth it. I have paid for collision and comprehensive so that I could be in a position to get into another vehicle. The rightful amount of the claim should be between 2300-2500 and they want to pay out 500. They want and will have their cake and eat it too.

I do not even know what recourse to take but I cannot even put down on a moped with what they are offering after taking full premiums from me on this vehicle. Honestly run run run... regardless of their happy little commercial the only side they are on is the devils'. Just a greedy heartless conglomerate that will only ever act to their own benefit. The client means nothing to them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Nationwide, for me, is the best of the apples I have to choose from. I had a minor low speed auto accident in San Fransico, with a young lady that seemed shady. She seemed determined it was my fault. Later, I found out she was suing for damages. I protested to my insurance carrier, repeatedly. With a little investigation, Nationwide found out she had prior history of falsifying damages and declined to cooperate further with her. They truly were on my side. Also, each time I have had to call, their customer service was great. However, I do believe I am overcharged for my auto insurance. The auto insurance industry is filled with bad actors. I am careful and responsible and do not believe my rates should be this high, but I know I have to pay for the crooks and people without insurance.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I really liked the service of Nationwide over Farmers, State Farm or Allstate. The others never responded to home claims regarding weather. Nationwide did not question weather damage. Nationwide phone services were great and all my phone contacts have been very professional and responsive however the claims adjustor was extremely slow in responding. I had to make numerous calls and finally contacted his supervisor.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Nationwide Insurance values their customers. I had an accident with a deer and it totaled my truck. They called to see if I was alright. And they took me through every steps they took to make the decision about my truck. They answered every question too. They also gave me time to make decisions on my truck to take the money offer or to buy it back from them. Plus, they had several people call me to help me make a decision. They also kept me updated at all times, very helpful. They also called when they said they would. I love the outcome of my experience with them.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I had a terrible experience when someone hit me while I was in the passenger seat with my three kids in the back. The man had the audacity to lie and say I hit him. Many hours were dedicated to proving that he was at fault. I felt like I was fighting my insurance as still as his (AAA). There were two claims adjusters who were awful and made no effort to find out the truth. They wanted to settle 50-50 because it was a he said she said situation. I fought and fought with the entry level claims people and demanded that out get escalated to a supervisor. I even had a voicemail where he admitted fault. That was not enough. My insurance was still saying I had time pay my deductible despite my kids being witnesses, the voicemail, and I called his insurance but they claimed they didn't have that taped conversion. My insurance made no effort to get to the truth. I refused to accept their funding.

It wasn't until I added a medical claim because my breech hurt from the whiplash that it went to a claims adjuster that was more experienced and had more authority. Needless to say, the burden of proof was on me which is ridiculous in my opinion. Finally, I was able to get video after requesting it from Kaiser security numerous times. I was told by three security staff that they didn't see anything. It wasn't until my husband went in person that a helpful security guard actually took the time to review the fishes and see what really happened. At that point, the jerk who hit us was found 100% at fault. Nationwide should have done more to represent me but I had to fyi all the work. What kind of insurance fired that? Lazy, incompetent, and entry level staff were handling my claim and did manhunt to hello me. Disgusting if you ask me.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very high rates and they are constantly going up. They don't provide any real price breaks considering my husband and I have had no accidents and I'm 67 yrs old and he's 59. I'm retired so my car Sits out front all but to run a FEW errands. We are continuing to research other companies. It may take a while but I'm confident we'll find the same coverage for less.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My experience with Nationwide was average and unremarkable for the most part. I also don't feel like my experience with them was very individualized or personable. I have had other insurance companies that knew me very well, despite just being a customer. But the features I like most about Nationwide are its low and competitive cost. At the time I purchased it it was a good deal.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Very disappointed with the second half of my care with Nationwide. When I was first in the accident, they were helpful on that day, but from then forward everything was a mess. I sent my car with the tow person expecting to have it fixed and get it back. They decided the car was totaled and sent me my things in a box, however they left out the one thing I most wanted from the car and requested multiple times. They said I could go to the car myself to get my belongings but I don't have the time to go way out of my way to pick up things that are plain as day and they could send to me (plus I gave them instructions on where these items were). Then they pulled my rental vehicle even though I hadn't found a replacement car yet.

I understand I can't use a rental car for months on end but I barely had enough time to begin looking for a new one. Once all of that was sorted, they evaluated my car and took out my deductible from their evaluated price. Now, this accident was 100% not my fault and I had heard so from the people I talked to at Nationwide. But after paying off the rest of the loan on the car, I was left with barely enough money to put down a minimum payment on a replacement vehicle, a huge inconvenience to me considering the amount of money I had to pay to have this insurance to begin with. I was told that the deductible would need to be collected from the person who hit me and to call back in a month or so to get in update.

Then I was told that I may never get my deductible back and that he didn't understand what the note in the file meant and to call back in a few months to see where things were headed. Well I did that. Now the claim has been moved to a different person, who I called with no answer. I left a voicemail and still no response. This is unacceptable. I have many other payments, especially with my student loans about to begin repayment, and I strict budget I follow. I expected to be covered by insurance since that is what it is there for. Don't use nationwide. They will be as helpful as they have to be to be a reasonable human being doing their job but when it comes to truly helping you beyond anything that helps them, you're SOL.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Nationwide as a company is predatory and discriminates. I had a terrible experience with them and did not like any features of the company or the policy. But purchasing the policy was easy and I did it online. Then an agent called to go over the details. But after purchasing a homeowners policy with Nationwide (I had had Auto and renters policies for years without filing a claim) they sent a notice that arrived as a major ice storm was starting that stated they were canceling our policy for no reason. But one positive aspect would have been that they have an office very close to my house, however the agents that work there are terrible.

Original review: May 15, 2018

They are literally always on my side. I can call any time I have trouble or an accident and get an agent to come help me no matter the time. I like being able to talk to someone too about my policy and changes that may occur. They have been an overall great fit for me so far. But I don't understand why they need to raise the price of our policy during certain months. Even after you get over a certain age they will still raise and it should be going down. And even if you haven't had a wreck they still raise it. It just makes no sense to me. But overall I have a had a great experience with this company. It was my first policy by myself straight out of college and trying to work and support myself and they really helped me to find something that would work great for me and that is not super expensive. I have recommended this company to several people my age that they could get better car insurance.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I like that it is a Nationwide company and my purchase was easy but. I have friends who work here so I am glad that they have a job because of my premiums. Nationwide is on your side! The jingle is a little catchy but I dislike their marketing jingles because they get stuck in my head.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My policy renewed on January 1st. They upped my rate by 10% no big deal. In May they told me that I owe them over $400 because my rate increased January 1st by 60% but they made a mistake and only charged me 10% extra. I had never filed any homeowner's or car claims. They said I owed them for the backdated payments. This is dirty business. Never do business with this company.

Not sure about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Company Information

Nationwide Insurance
www.nationwide.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business