Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
1.52/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

1016 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had an auto accident while I had this insurance company for my auto coverage. I hit a parked car when I slid on the ice. I contacted the insurance company and the police. Provided them with the details by phone and within one week the car was deemed totaled and they cut me a check for their valuation of my car which was considerably more than I ever expected. It was a smooth, seamless transition and I was able to purchase a newer vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This is a local company that is in my small town in North Carolina. They are a family business and that is the way that I like it. Their father was the owner until he passed away and then they moved back into town in order to take it over. I have been a customer before and after. It is a great place. They are very good at what they do and I would recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I was on vacation WITHOUT MY CAR in Vail, CO for 5 weeks from June 27 until the afternoon of July 31, 2019. I never drove any vehicle while in Vail and the SmartRide App not only logged numerous driving trips, but also said I had hard accelerations! Apparently it collects data while walking, riding the Gondola, and anytime I rode my bicycle! When I called Nationwide to report this problem, the rep said there is nothing they can do to correct the errors and data cannot be removed once it’s recorded. She said the app is only 80% accurate and they are still working out the bugs which are obviously at the expense of the consumer (a tidbit never mentioned when signing with Nationwide).

She confirmed my current estimated discount is 31%, saying “that’s still good”! Well, it should but be a much higher discount since Nationwide is dinging me for drives and hard brake/accelerations I did not make. I’ve had a perfect driving record for 53+ years and resent the fact that my next year’s insurance rate will not be as good as it should be because false information was collected by an application with 80% accuracy.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

When my husband and I got married we switched to Nationwide. They gave us the best rates. We paid our 6 month premium in full upfront. Now it's been 3ish months and we've "lost a discount" because one of our cars hit the greater than 5 year mark so they billed us for the difference. As you lose discounts (even if you've already paid for the 6 months) they will charge you more. This should be illegal. Anyways I called about it and they said $22 was from the easy pay "discount" that accidentally got knocked off the policy and $7 was from the car being more than 5 years old. So they added the easy pay back on and I should see a bill for the $7. I just received my edited bill and it's $22. Moral of the story is they tell you one price. You pay it and then they bill you for more later.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I've been with this company for 3 years, pay about $3000 in premiums yearly on 2 policies (just went up to $3300 yesterday because of a move) and had an incident in which they rejected the claim this week after hitting a deep puddle. The claim would have been for around $2000 before my $500 deductible. But I guess they prefer losing an 800 credit score customer who has never been late with a payment. Meh, what can you do. My new insurance company is $800 cheaper yearly, I'll pay the repair myself.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Nationwide says they are on your side but I believe differently. My car was totaled May 23rd by fault of someone else. I received settlement details papers on June 6. As of today, my car has not been paid off and I haven't received my refund. I made a car payment yesterday to avoid a negative credit report. It took two weeks to get a car rental. Multiple calls and seldom a call back from the claims rep. Had an attorney call claims rep to try and get a rental. I was told to sign power of attorney form for totaled car so Nationwide could take possession of the car. I faxed the form on June 7th and the car was taken from the pound on June 11th. I did a BBB complaint two weeks ago and the rep said she's waiting on the Power of Attorney form. Lies! The attorney called again and received a call back four days later. The claims rep said she's waiting to hear from Carmax. So not true.

After I rejected Nationwide response through BBB, I get an email that a check has been sent to Carmax. As of today, the payment hasn't been received. I stressed that I will get a negative rating on my credit if payment not received by 23rd of June. Do you think they FedEx the payment or submit it electronically? Of course not. The attorney called again and was told a payment is being sent but I was told the payment was going to be sent as soon as the POA form was received. Well it was received on June 7th. Nationwide is not on my side. They have lied and deceived me. If you are looking for a reliable insurance company. Nationwide is not it. They lie and deceive their customers.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident a few weeks ago. I changed lanes and the car in the lane I changed to rear-ended me. I followed traffic laws, I checked all mirrors, I used my blinker, I gauged the distance of the other car in that lane, and the other car wasn't paying attention and rear ended my car! I’ve been involved in 1 accident 17 years ago, not my fault, and haven’t had any tickets since 2004. Nationwide found me to be at fault for improper lane change based on the police report and the other person's communications. I played phone tag with the agent, left messages, etc. When I finally spoke with the agent I was advised my insurance would pay for the damages. I felt the time frame it took for me to speak with Nationwide prompted the decision.

I called my local office, Tolar Agency Inc and spoke with Sharon’s Tolar. I explained my concerns. She offered to research the decision and contact me back. That was June 7th and I haven’t received any communication since. Today is June 14th! Her office never fails to contact me when my payment is due! However, she has not made any attempts. I expected the Nationwide folks to put me off, I never thought my local office I’ve been a patron of for 5 years would dismiss me. I expected better customer service! So, not only were the national company not on my side the local agent wasn’t either. I’m shopping for reasonable insurance with great customer service! I hear Amica is the one, we will see! I won’t give Nationwide nor Sharon Tolar my business for much longer!

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky