Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Have had 1 dealing with agent and I think could not have been handled any better. Had several contacts with the agent and felt comfortable while on the phone. The problem was handled in my opinion in a timely basis and had been informed all thru the process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

After unsuccessful dealing with Nationwide auto insurance for three weeks. I made a call to Geico. In two minutes Geico did what Nationwide could not do in three weeks. Caliber Collision and Nationwide Insurance are two peas in a pod. Thank you Geico and Gerber Collision and Glass.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After 10 yrs of being a loyal customer. Having 2 policies, car and renters insurance. They are screwing me over. I got into my first accident, after paying for a car for a yr and 3 months. The car is fixable says the autobody shop. Nationwide deemed it a total loss. They refuse to sell it to my stepdad as a salvage. And While I have not signed a damn thing, seem to have already sold it to the wrecking yard. And they are now harassing me over picking it up. It will cost more to pay off my loan, than to fix my car. I have a disabled daughter and need my car. When this is all over, I'm canceling all policies. Don't waste your time or money. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I recently got into a car accident and it was the other driver's fault but Nationwide did not provide anything. My rear end of my car is ruined and nationwide does not want to do anything about it. Do not go with this company if you want good insurance. I’ve been loyal to nationwide for 11 years and this is what I get in return. WORST INSURANCE EVER!!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

My check engine light came on while traveling. Contacted my Nationwide road side assistance for a tow. I received a text confirmation stating a tow was in route. My repair facility was emailed my vehicle was in route as well. The following morning I was notified by the police my vehicle has been stripped. Tires, wheels and misc items gone. Zero follow up with Nationwide. All status updates had to be initiated by myself. I was told the Deductible would be waived due to their mistake. 46 days later after an investigation they stated they can’t waive the deductible or pay what the car is worth.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have paid top dollar to Nationwide for decades. They are a complete scam. No matter what it takes they will avoid paying a claim they don’t even argue is legitimate. No matter how valid the claim they will lie, distort, bully, and do whatever necessary to not pay the claim. I have had an accident where I was stopped at a light and a woman slammed into me without looking up from her cellphone. Five years later, I got NOTHING from my 1.3 million dollar underinsured motorist coverage from nationwide. They lied, cheated, scammed and spent three times in attorney's fees what the claim would have paid. Run do not walk to any other company. They will not honor your contract. They know it will cost you more to fight and you will lose. Do not give these criminals your money. You will regret it I promise.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor