Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.09/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

1003 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

I was in a hit and run accident. Some witnesses wrote down the license plate and I filed a police report. Initially, Nationwide said that the car was insured by another insurance agency. The other insurance agency called me to let me know that the previous owners had sold the car a few months before my accident. The police reached out to the new owner and the new owner did not show up to the police station.

During the claims process, I had to follow-up on almost every part of the process from initiating my claim, to letting Nationwide know that the other car was not insured, to updating my rental car reservation. I have been insured by Nationwide for over 10 years and have noticed a huge decrease in customer service from a claim over 10 years ago and this claim.

Original review: April 23, 2019

For an accident that was concluded 100% the other driver's fault, I was denied further medical care due to a false IME with many inaccuracies when I still needed it. From start to finish poor handling.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Have had 1 dealing with agent and I think could not have been handled any better. Had several contacts with the agent and felt comfortable while on the phone. The problem was handled in my opinion in a timely basis and had been informed all thru the process.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Never got my Uber money back the 2 weeks I didn’t have a rental. They gave me money for my deemed totaled truck (a whole month later). Which had one door crushed, broken mirror, and pierced tire all on the passenger side. After the truck money was received, she said she would put my Uber money back in my account. It’s been another month and a half. And she won’t respond. It doesn’t matter how much money it is, I've got my lawyer working on this. The Uber money should’ve been put back before I even got the truck money. Nationwide is not on anyone’s side but their own.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I moved from California to PA. Got a car insurance and renter's insurance with Nationwide. I was quoted a price and within two months my insurance doubled. I was not aware of the "Tort" option in PA and without my consent Nationwide changed my coverage from partial tort to full Tort. Nationwide claim they sent me an email with a Docu-sign option to chose my Tort. I did not receive it. In December after less than two months of coverage I signed a document with them by Docu-sign that they emailed me, opting out of the full Tort. I did not know I would have to pay for it anyway. I cancelled my insurance with Nationwide but still get billed for the backdated full Tort (I never consented to). In the last bill they sent me they are threatening of passing the "Debt" to a collection agency. Please beware of what you are getting into with Nationwide. I believe their conduct is predatory and takes advantage of people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I wanted to share that I have had the worst experience with this insurance company. I drive a classic car and got hit by one of your insurers who is 70 years old and did not have his insurance with at the time of the accident. He did not even file a claim. I had to wait for a police report to contact this insurance company. Every single one of your team members is disorganized and I had to talk to three different representatives just to get to the claims representative because systems being down, people not doing their job so passing the work to the manager, which is ridiculous. Then there were two claims representatives on the case and I had to sort that out.

Throughout this whole process I was not even provided a car and would have to pay out of pocket till they did an investigation. I am 21 years old and I have never been in an accident and the one I have been in isn't my fault and my classic car "is a total loss" and you give me $400 for the hospital and car costs?! I will never recommend or get Nationwide Insurance in my life because of this experience.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

As a pedestrian, I was struck by a vehicle while in a crosswalk with flashing lights. One of the most unfortunate problems was that the insured driver had Nationwide insurance. There was clear liability which was uncontested but the gentleman I have been working with often goes weeks, months without responding to me. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with a situation such as this to not even receive respect our courtesy enough to get a response. I would never ever have Nationwide insurance after being a claimant with them. Human beings deserve better. #nationwideisnotonyourside

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was rear-ended by a Nationwide insurance holder. The customer service right after the wreck was exceptional. As a month passed and it was now time for the repair and Nationwide provided rental. I had an issue being responsible for damages, if they occurred to the rental vehicle. My choices were, pay $16.00 per day for insurance on the rental or file a claim on my insurance provider. Neither one of these options is acceptable. I emailed my adjuster and did not receive a response. I called the CSR who I had contact with at the beginning of the wreck. She did not return my call.

I waited a few more hours and sent her a text. No response. Hours later I called and finally got a person, who was not getting my point. She patched me through to the adjuster who acknowledged receiving my email. This conversation was basically her reaffirming that I was responsible and it would cost the company millions of dollars annually if they provided insurance on rental vehicles. They were only responsible for providing transportation.

Along with the inconvenience of having to deal with the wreck, driving around for a month with my trunk duct taped closed and being blown off by their adjuster...and now worrying about the potential for a wreck (since it is a daily thing on the road I travel to work) happening in a rental that I wouldn't be driving in the first place if their insured would have been paying attention, would cost me out of pocket. My point is...until I get my car back...they should responsible for the rental insurance since I am driving it due to a wreck that was not my fault and should not have the worry of additional $$$ expenses.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

A warning to small business owners: We all know that insurance companies are loath to make a payment on any claim. My experience with Nationwide has been no exception – though I would say that they have been especially dismissive and unprofessional. In a nutshell, I placed a claim at the end of September 2018. I was given my agents phone number but no email or mailing address. The agent didn’t respond in anyway until the end of January 2019. His response was a form letter rejecting my claim. Not only was the letter full of typos and inaccurate information, the agent did not respond to my basic questions such as, “did you send out an estimator” etc. None of this surprises me. I have however heard of more responsive insurance companies. Avoid this one like the plague!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I've recently had my vehicle totaled due to theft. After reporting the situation to the insurance company, the assigned claims adjuster immediately begin to speak about fraud. Although I understand that there's a process each client must go through I do not understand the lack of respect, dignity unprofessional, lack of communication. I've even request to have another claims adjuster to handle my claim. Only to be told by the same adjuster that I couldn't. The fact that their Motto states "Nationwide is on your side" is so far from the truth. When paying insurance with no lapse in coverage, I would have thought the company I've trusted to honor their logo. To make matters worse I'm still at a lost on what step, angles, or directions to move forward with the finalization of my claim.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We have auto and homeowners insurance for 40 yrs through Nationwide. We filed one claim in 40 yrs for a small (-2000) amount of hit and run damage to our vehicle. A fraud agent came to our home, unannounced and gave me an opportunity to tell “the truth”. The adjuster bullied the body shop then left his job. We had 2 more adjusters coincidentally? quit the company. We finally, after repeated efforts to contact and 3 months, received a letter of denial. 40 yr clients with no previous claims. 1 yr later and we received a bill for the rental car that Nationwide arranged “as part of the claim”. We never received a return phone call and no responses to any emails. Beyond disappointed that we trusted and believed they were on our side!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Ever since underwriting took over the last year Nationwide gone to the pooper. I’ve spent prob total 3 hrs on the phone last 6 months, not one convo pleasant. Not one rep can give the same answer, and I do not feel they know what they’re doing. I moved And called to update my billing information for my auto policy and cancel my renters insurance. Ever since, it’s been nothing but problems. From me being told I HAD to add my LANDLORD to my policy because they're a liability for my vehicle? To being told I just had to give verbal consent over the phone stating I’m excluding them. To being told that isn’t the case. To receiving a letter threatening cancellation due to not sign paperwork to add them to my policy. To being told I just needed to sign an exclusion form to exclude them from my policy? Sound confusing, try being me being told back and forth different things.

I don’t need to deal with this headache and choose to go with different provider who can properly do a job so I called and scheduled a policy cancellation for the 13th this month and got new insurance elsewhere. THEY NEVER CANCELLED. My 50th call today was a battle, a headache and me being told they could cancel my policy but refused to escalate my concerns about my policy not being cancelled (please note: THEY HAD NO NOTES ON MY ACCT ABOUT ME CALLING AND CANCELLING) because it didn’t meet eligible requirements.

So. Me calling. Cancelling my policy. And it not being cancelled and calling back again to get this handled isn’t a good reason? A joke. After pushing and basically demanding to speak with someone who can just look up the call, the rep disconnected on me. Terrible experience and I will never give my ninety to this failing company again and love sharing this bad experience anywhere I can to try and save others the headache. A joke.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I would not recommend selecting Nationwide auto insurance. I had auto insurance coverage with Nationwide from Sept 2017 to Jan 2019 while living in Missouri. I moved to Washington and Nationwide declined to continue my coverage. I received a ticket in Hawaii in 2016 from accidentally driving in the bus lane. They do not have bus lanes in Missouri and the concept was new to me. Before I realized my mistake, I was issued a ticket. It's frustrating that an insurance company would just end your coverage when moving to a new state for a ticket that happened almost three years ago. It appears this exciting move to a new city will also be with a new auto insurance company with hopefully better customer relations.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We switched from Geico to Nationwide a few years ago only because we thought we were saving. Geico was so easy to deal with - always prompt and responsive. I was recently involved in an accident where I was seriously injured and 11 days later Nationwide still hasn’t even looked at our car to tell us if it’s totaled or not. They’ve been unresponsive, dismissive and not very forthcoming with assist to help us navigate this. It’s been a nightmare. I would never recommend this insurance company. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have had Nationwide ever since my husband and I got married almost 40 years ago and he had it even before that, so at least 45 years. We have everything insured with them but they have lost long time customers now. Be sure to not get rear ended sitting in a lane waiting to turn left! Unbelievably Nationwide said it was our fault! How? So you had better watch your back if you have Nationwide insurance! And 40+ years of coverage with them doesn’t mean a thing either!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have recently been so disappointed in my experience with Nationwide. I was a loyal customer of their's for many years, but recently switched after several horrible experiences. First, several years ago I had someone file a claim against me during a parking incident. Nationwide agreed that I was not at fault for the accident during the investigation. Come to find out, they changed the ruling, and DID NOT even contact me to let me know or have the option to appeal, which I certainly would have done. I received NO notice or communication after the original ruling. I only discovered about the change while shopping for better rates.

After feeling totally betrayed by this discovery, I cancelled my policies, which was something I certainly would have done years sooner had I been aware of how they handled that incident. Now, I am being billed for a change to my old policy which was made only due to an error on their part, an error which I was again unaware of. It is very concerning to me that so many issues happened with my policies, and I was never informed of any of them. Insurance is there to protect my biggest assets, and I need to have trust in that company. Nationwide is no longer a company I trust.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First, let me say that I have never experienced a failure to handle a claim like this. I was rear ended by a Nationwide customer and my car is undrivable. No word on when it will be towed to their repair center and whether I can get a rental car! Going on 4th day without a car. The other driver admitted fault. I just want my car fixed!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I’m going to start off saying I have nothing against this company. Me and my dad was with this company for over 10 yrs until he tried to go with USAA and it didn’t work out the way he thought and he came back to Nationwide. And we went to a local Agency in Moncks Corner and that guy was horrible so left him for another Nationwide Agency. My dad passed in Oct 2018 and I took the death certificate to a local agency thinking that was the end of everything but no it was not. They still took money out of his account and apparently the agent I took it to couldn’t make any changes so nothing was updated with his account but you would think the lady would call but of course not.

I called customer service and got the rudest lady on the phone and these people really don’t care. I just lost my dad and before they could cancel anything they needed more than the death certificate but POA which is ok but if I wasn’t I guess they would kept taking money out my dad's account. When I thought it was finally over I was still getting bills for him in December. I was pissed. The bill was for his house insurance.

When I told that lady I wanted both to be cancelled they still did whatever they wanted to do because guess what? It’s not their problem or family member. I called again and again. Got 3 more rude people so I hung up and prayed because this is unreal. Finally I got someone to help me and she was confused how everything wasn’t cancelled and guess what? Once again she couldn’t find his death certificate or my POA so I had to send it through email again. This was the worst I had to deal with and grieving for my dad. Bottom line coverage is ok but if you or your family member pass good luck getting them to stop payment.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They would not pay for a deer hitting my truck. I had insurance through then because the truck was insurance months before in my father in laws name they said they could not cover the wreck. The insurance was in my name when it happened but said because it was in his name the truck they would not cover me. They are the worst insurance company ever. I have never filed a claim in my life and this is horrible. Even the man who worked for Nationwide reviewing it said THEY WERE WRONG. DO NOT GET INSURANCE WITH NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have been with Natiowide for about 18 years and just had two accident that resulting in totaling my car and rear ended me while I was at a red light! Nationwide low balled me, was not on my side and threatened to cancel my policy due to those two accidents in 18 years!! They are petty and clearly not on our SIDE. FYI: All those years I had auto, home, life, animals and cars.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

12 plus years with Nationwide. We add my daughter and they triple our premium. We also have our home insurance with them and it does not matter. We used roadside assistance. It has been 9 hours with my 18 year old stranded. Car is still not picked up. They said she needed to wait with it. 18 yo for 10 hours on the side of a road in 25 degree weather.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Nationwide can't make a decision and stall on my claim. My vehicle is covered by New Jersey Manufacturers (an awesome insurance company that cares about its customers) and was parked when it was struck by a Nationwide customer. This happened on November 11th 2018. It's well over a month and Nationwide is still trying to figure out who is at fault and if they are going to accept liability. My insurance company has diligently followed up but they as well are being ignored. Meanwhile, I am out of pocket nearly $1,000 right before Christmas. I live paycheck to paycheck and an expense of this nature is hard. I just would like to know when am I getting reimbursed for something I had no fault in. I consider myself to be responsible and always advocate doing the right thing. You would expect better communication and service from a company bearing the name like Nationwide.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

16 years with this so called insurance company gets you nothing. We have home and auto through Nationwide. In 16 years we have yet to file a claim. Well my son had a fender bender. His fault. So we call Nationwide. They want our truck towed to Service King for repair. But the truck sits in a tow yard for 5 days before we finally get some contact from our Nationwide rep. who then tells us they couldn't reach us to verbally release the vehicle. Funny, they had all our contact numbers. So then it finally gets to the repair shop. 5200 to repair, mostly labor. Now the truck is an older model Tacoma but we bought it off the showroom floor. One owner. It was in pristine condition. We had just replaced the fuel system, battery, shocks, leaf springs and new tires. That truck was taken care of. No rust.

Factory alloy wheels in great shape. Fluid changes every year (transmission, transfer case.. Etc). The motor purred. The mechanics were amazed at the condition. But after 3 days Larry ** our adjuster pops in, decides it's not "economically" worth fixing. Looked on Kelley Blue Book for a value of the vehicle and surprise 7000 in its condition. Surprising was the criteria used by adjusters to determine if the vehicle was worth fixing. Interior, like new. Has had seat covers from day one. Clean. Dash, no cracks. Exterior, only thing wrong was the front bumper and grill and some mounts for the radiator due to the accident. Tires, brand new, not even 2 weeks old.

So here it is again, trying to reach someone who knows why it was totaled, we called Larry not 2 minutes are his message and straight to voicemail, repeat of the prior week. Tell you what, the only thing I've seen that appears as if anyone there knows anything is passing the buck. Oh you know State Farm will be getting a call. Hope your lack of service, professionalism and a genuine lack of concern about your paying customers was worth losing a 16 year customer. I guess it's better to find out now that they only want your premiums and could care less about their customers or loyalty before anything really bad happens and you actually need a real insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was just checking into auto insurance and Nationwide is very aggressive, they will even send you text daily to get you to contact them. I, unfortunately, was dealing with an aggressive insurance agent. He started out giving me a bunch of discounts and I told him I paid one price which it stayed the same every year. He said to me, "Why wait a year when you can get a discount in 6 months," they are lying, they are not going to give you a discount in 6 months. They are going to go up on your insurance rate. He had to have all of my information, your checking account in order to give you a quote. He refused to give me an estimate, I had to buy the insurance before he gave me the quote. I ended up getting snookered in the end, my insurance has not gone down, it has gone up. Do not trust Nationwide, they are do not deserve your business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was enticed to go with Nationwide car insurance because they have competitive rates and has a SmartRide Program. They gave me a 10% discount right off the bat just for participating in the program. I was hoping that with good driving habits for the duration of the program which is about 6 months will lower my premium on my next renewal. I ended the SmartRide program with 35% discount because of my good driving record while participating in the program. You would think that I would have a lower premium right? Nope, this was not the case. My premium even went up on my renewal. I asked customer service about it and they told me that the reason it went up is because the rates in my area went up, which I know was total bs. What about my 35% discount on the program? It is useless, it is a scam. It is a marketing gimmick to boost their customer acquisition.

Customers would think that with good driving habit they can lower their premium up to 40%. With this in mind, customers are enticed to go with Nationwide. And then comes the renewal, they would find that they will not give you the discount you are entitled to have. I felt cheated. I felt like a fool falling for this marketing trick. I am not the only one who had the same experience with Nationwide SmartRide program and their rate increase tactic. Go ahead, google it yourself. You would find similar problems encountered by customers.

Matthew ** who works as a Senior Resolution Analyst in the Customer Escalation department was very helpful at first while I was in the program. Sweet talking about how they will use my SmartRide discount upon my renewal. But then the renewal came, and Matthew ** was stuck with their scripted tactic and told me that there was an insurance rate increase in my area, and that if I have additional questions I should contact their customer service. What? Really? Aren't you a customer service yourself and has the title Senior Analyst? And he can't help me. No explanation whatsoever about my 35% SmartRide discount on the program if they used it or not. If they put the 35% discount in my renewal rate already, that only means my renewal rate increase is $300.

In my 10 years of car insurance coverage with Geico, I never experienced an absurd rate increase after 6 months. They enticed me to sign with them with a good rate and a promise of more savings with their SmartRide program. Neither is happening because this rate increase was absurd, and two the SmartRide program was totally useless and a scam. Go ahead search it yourself, don't fall for their marketing ploy. I will definitely look for another car insurance company. Nationwide has no integrity.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was struggling with my health issues, and wasn't able to pay on time my bill either see the mail they sent to me. They just cancelled my account 2 weeks later just a day earlier than the day I remembered my bill and decided to pay. I tried to negotiate with them to reopen my account even with the fact they charged some late fees, they refused. For me this is not normal.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

If you never had any wrecks, moving violations, and tickets in decades your bill will mysteriously start at $150 and still go up to over $400. Ours kept ballooning each month after and the customer service who is suppose to be licensed in insurance gives you no legitimate reason why till you have to cancel and get a legitimate insurance company. The FTC needs to investigate their business practices and white collar theft to grow their bottom line. Take heed and do not sign up for this insurance with Nationwide no matter how desperate you might be. If you don't believe it sign up with them and find out they do the same to you after you are in the poor house because of it. STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY AND USE IT FOR YOUR CHILDREN INSTEAD OF GIVING IT AWAY UNDER FRAUD BY NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had made a claim early September. They had to investigate as they said I had a $5000 deductible? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Also, I was paying nearly $200/mo. for just this one vehicle. So we reach out, “change” our deductible but it won’t cover our current claim. So we reach out yet again, they say they’ll launch an investigation but there’s nothing they can do about my claim and they’ll call us back with any news. I dropped them and found another policy holder with a $90/mo. premium AND $500 deductibles!! Who would have guessed? We still have yet to hear back from them and it is 11/14/18. Anytime my husband calls them, they tell him they are unauthorized to discuss this with him OR that they don’t have access to that because they’re new in the customer service department. I am highly highly highly disappointed. DO NOT use them!!

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky