Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.78/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

980 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

16 years with this so called insurance company gets you nothing. We have home and auto through Nationwide. In 16 years we have yet to file a claim. Well my son had a fender bender. His fault. So we call Nationwide. They want our truck towed to Service King for repair. But the truck sits in a tow yard for 5 days before we finally get some contact from our Nationwide rep. who then tells us they couldn't reach us to verbally release the vehicle. Funny, they had all our contact numbers. So then it finally gets to the repair shop. 5200 to repair, mostly labor. Now the truck is an older model Tacoma but we bought it off the showroom floor. One owner. It was in pristine condition. We had just replaced the fuel system, battery, shocks, leaf springs and new tires. That truck was taken care of. No rust.

Factory alloy wheels in great shape. Fluid changes every year (transmission, transfer case.. Etc). The motor purred. The mechanics were amazed at the condition. But after 3 days Larry ** our adjuster pops in, decides it's not "economically" worth fixing. Looked on Kelley Blue Book for a value of the vehicle and surprise 7000 in its condition. Surprising was the criteria used by adjusters to determine if the vehicle was worth fixing. Interior, like new. Has had seat covers from day one. Clean. Dash, no cracks. Exterior, only thing wrong was the front bumper and grill and some mounts for the radiator due to the accident. Tires, brand new, not even 2 weeks old.

So here it is again, trying to reach someone who knows why it was totaled, we called Larry not 2 minutes are his message and straight to voicemail, repeat of the prior week. Tell you what, the only thing I've seen that appears as if anyone there knows anything is passing the buck. Oh you know State Farm will be getting a call. Hope your lack of service, professionalism and a genuine lack of concern about your paying customers was worth losing a 16 year customer. I guess it's better to find out now that they only want your premiums and could care less about their customers or loyalty before anything really bad happens and you actually need a real insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was just checking into auto insurance and Nationwide is very aggressive, they will even send you text daily to get you to contact them. I, unfortunately, was dealing with an aggressive insurance agent. He started out giving me a bunch of discounts and I told him I paid one price which it stayed the same every year. He said to me, "Why wait a year when you can get a discount in 6 months," they are lying, they are not going to give you a discount in 6 months. They are going to go up on your insurance rate. He had to have all of my information, your checking account in order to give you a quote. He refused to give me an estimate, I had to buy the insurance before he gave me the quote. I ended up getting snookered in the end, my insurance has not gone down, it has gone up. Do not trust Nationwide, they are do not deserve your business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was enticed to go with Nationwide car insurance because they have competitive rates and has a SmartRide Program. They gave me a 10% discount right off the bat just for participating in the program. I was hoping that with good driving habits for the duration of the program which is about 6 months will lower my premium on my next renewal. I ended the SmartRide program with 35% discount because of my good driving record while participating in the program. You would think that I would have a lower premium right? Nope, this was not the case. My premium even went up on my renewal. I asked customer service about it and they told me that the reason it went up is because the rates in my area went up, which I know was total bs. What about my 35% discount on the program? It is useless, it is a scam. It is a marketing gimmick to boost their customer acquisition.

Customers would think that with good driving habit they can lower their premium up to 40%. With this in mind, customers are enticed to go with Nationwide. And then comes the renewal, they would find that they will not give you the discount you are entitled to have. I felt cheated. I felt like a fool falling for this marketing trick. I am not the only one who had the same experience with Nationwide SmartRide program and their rate increase tactic. Go ahead, google it yourself. You would find similar problems encountered by customers.

Matthew ** who works as a Senior Resolution Analyst in the Customer Escalation department was very helpful at first while I was in the program. Sweet talking about how they will use my SmartRide discount upon my renewal. But then the renewal came, and Matthew ** was stuck with their scripted tactic and told me that there was an insurance rate increase in my area, and that if I have additional questions I should contact their customer service. What? Really? Aren't you a customer service yourself and has the title Senior Analyst? And he can't help me. No explanation whatsoever about my 35% SmartRide discount on the program if they used it or not. If they put the 35% discount in my renewal rate already, that only means my renewal rate increase is $300.

In my 10 years of car insurance coverage with Geico, I never experienced an absurd rate increase after 6 months. They enticed me to sign with them with a good rate and a promise of more savings with their SmartRide program. Neither is happening because this rate increase was absurd, and two the SmartRide program was totally useless and a scam. Go ahead search it yourself, don't fall for their marketing ploy. I will definitely look for another car insurance company. Nationwide has no integrity.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was struggling with my health issues, and wasn't able to pay on time my bill either see the mail they sent to me. They just cancelled my account 2 weeks later just a day earlier than the day I remembered my bill and decided to pay. I tried to negotiate with them to reopen my account even with the fact they charged some late fees, they refused. For me this is not normal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

If you never had any wrecks, moving violations, and tickets in decades your bill will mysteriously start at $150 and still go up to over $400. Ours kept ballooning each month after and the customer service who is suppose to be licensed in insurance gives you no legitimate reason why till you have to cancel and get a legitimate insurance company. The FTC needs to investigate their business practices and white collar theft to grow their bottom line. Take heed and do not sign up for this insurance with Nationwide no matter how desperate you might be. If you don't believe it sign up with them and find out they do the same to you after you are in the poor house because of it. STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY AND USE IT FOR YOUR CHILDREN INSTEAD OF GIVING IT AWAY UNDER FRAUD BY NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had made a claim early September. They had to investigate as they said I had a $5000 deductible? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Also, I was paying nearly $200/mo. for just this one vehicle. So we reach out, “change” our deductible but it won’t cover our current claim. So we reach out yet again, they say they’ll launch an investigation but there’s nothing they can do about my claim and they’ll call us back with any news. I dropped them and found another policy holder with a $90/mo. premium AND $500 deductibles!! Who would have guessed? We still have yet to hear back from them and it is 11/14/18. Anytime my husband calls them, they tell him they are unauthorized to discuss this with him OR that they don’t have access to that because they’re new in the customer service department. I am highly highly highly disappointed. DO NOT use them!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Trying to gather insurance quotes using online quote system. Had to call two times before even filling out first two pages on website. The representative Rick was the worse about trying to help the situation, I tried twice to explain my issue with website and he acted like I was too dumb to figure out how to fill out basic information. The website displayed a error message without a cause or way to correct. Rick pretty much told me if I can't figure out how online works then you need to call in. I told him why have online quote system if nobody there knows about it or how it works. I am Extremely frustrated! As I told Rick that I'm trying to give Nationwide my business. He said he can give me a Quote now but after speaking to 3 highly incompetent workers including Rick, I will no longer consider Nationwide Insurance and I encourage other patrons to review from all websites before doing business with companies like this one.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

AVOID NATIONWIDE AT ALL COSTS! 1. Nice touch submitting a survey to a customer (with a finite completion date), when in fact said customer had not had their damaged vehicle returned to them. Interesting way to obtain and compile data... definitely skewed results! 2. 102 days! Yep, 102 days from day of accident to when the vehicle was finally repaired and we were contacted to pick up. If that’s Nationwide being on MY side, well, that’s just a huge joke! Suffice it to say, that the only side you were on was your own!

3. The vehicles that were damaged were PARKED and unoccupied. Yep, an uninsured individual driving on a suspended license exited an off ramp (witness say at 50+ mph), and plowed into our trailer which in turn hit our truck which in turn pushed our truck into the path of an oncoming semi truck. So our truck/trailer was hit from behind as well as in front.

4. A rental car was initially provided and then TAKEN away. Our vehicle was still not repaired. The other insurance company complained that Nationwide was “taking too long”. The understatement of the century! 5. The other insurance company contacted us FIRST, actually within 48 hours. They immediately accepted responsibility and sent us an email to that effect. Obviously, no word from Nationwide. There’s that “on your side” thing again... what a colossal joke!

6. Eventually, WE contacted Nationwide. We explained the situation and that the other insurance company had accepted TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY for the accident. The claims manager for the driver encouraged totaling the vehicle due to the extent of the damage incurred. YOUR Nationwide affiliated repair shop also encouraged totaling the vehicle, again, due to the extensive damage.

7. The vehicle damaged was a 2016 Ram, 2500. You, Nationwide, refused to total the vehicle despite the other insurance company‘s recommendation and going against your own repair shop. Hmmm, since when did a keyboard warrior have experience that exceeds their own affiliated repair shop as well as the insurance company that was paying the bill... THE OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY. Shameful antics, Nationwide!

8. The fact that you, Nationwide, does not assign a single “case manager” that would assist the customer from beginning to end. No, instead you bombard the customer with more than 30 people...emails, telephone calls, letters, etc. Yes, we started keeping a list of the various individuals...the number exceeded 30! No one had any authority. No one had any answers...”I need to transfer you, I need to have my manager talk to you, I have to talk to ** and will get back to you., etc., etc.” I’m presuming that you feel that type of approach will serve to confuse the customer and your shady antics will go unnoticed. Again, shameful, Nationwide!

9. I could continue, but I don’t see the point. You don’t care! At all! You are out for yourself and the customer be damned! You collect premiums, but when the customer needs to access the insurance paid for... well, they are left holding a very empty bag! And this wasn’t even our fault... you should be so ashamed of yourselves... apparently though, you believe your model to be a viable business model. I for one, will attest to a different opinion. The only way a valued customer can combat your inexcusable atrocities is to fight your despicable process the only way we can... take our business elsewhere. Which we did... all 14 policies... homes, boats, automobiles, etc. We have also told anyone and everyone that we come in contact with to avoid Nationwide at all costs.

You, Nationwide, are the absolute WORST example of a customer-centered business. You, are who give insurance companies a tawdry reputation. Unfortunately, Nationwide, you deserve the award for THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA! Hold your head high and proudly display the well-deserved banner, THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA! You are so bad it needed repeating, if for the only reason that your folks can’t seem to understand the concept of doing the right thing.

I will end this diatribe with something that again, bears repeating... collectively, Nationwide, you should be so ashamed of your behavior as it relates to the adjudication of this claim. If I were you, I would be unable to look myself in the mirror. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. Apparently, you have become so desensitized, that doing the right thing is not even in your wheelhouse. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES AND YOUR SUBSTANDARD HANDLING OF THIS CLAIM!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I chose this company because others in my family have used it for decades. I've been with this company for a couple of years now, it's ok service. But I wish there was more incentives or such safe driving rewards.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Nationwide has treated me very well over the past 15 years or so, and I get all kinds of discounts for being a safe driver and bundling services. I had a claim a couple years ago from an accident and everything went super smooth. They took care of me next day and never had to worry about a thing.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I called and spoke to a claims person to find out my deductible after hitting a tire on the road. It was cheaper to fix the parts out of pocket than use deductible to replace with new parts. I moved at the same time, so assumed my premium increase was related to moving. 2 years later, my brother says my premium is outrageous. I shop around and another company tells me I have points on my insurance record. I discover that Nationwide put points on my insurance record for a claim that was never paid out on. Provided receipt showing I paid for $200 of repairs and not $1100. They admitted they were wrong to increase my rates and told me I would be issued a refund of $1300.

Two months later and multiple phone calls and emails later, I finally learn that they refunded me $250 and put the rest towards my Nationwide account. Nationwide.com does not reflect the credit on my account, and I am tired of chasing this so I switch insurance companies. When I cancel my Nationwide account, I learn them used the credit to adjust my premium and the monies owed me was not applied to my balance, so I got roughly 1/3 of the money owed to me. Following up with complaints to California Insurance Commission and hoping to recover my funds without hiring a lawyer. I was a customer for almost 20 years. STAY AWAY FROM NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

So... someone makes a typo that costs me a week without a car insurance and suspended registration and does not even bother to say "I am sorry" for that. On October 8th I called Nationwide to cancel my car insurance effective October 16th (when my new policy was supposed to start). Last week I got a letter from the NYS DMV saying that my registration was suspended because I was driving without any insurance between October 8th and October 16th (???!!! ). Apparently, some moron at Nationwide, canceled our insurance on the day I called, instead of the requested future date. I still don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had an accident during that time. I am seriously nauseated.

So... yesterday I get a nasty letter from Nationwide saying that I still owe them the premium for the week of October 8th - October 16th (after they sent me the overpaid premium bank to my account) because apparently someone realized the mistake. So, no I drove a car without an insurance for a week, got my license plates suspended (and a fine of $64) and I am supposed to pay a premium for that??? WTF? After an hour on the phone with their CS representative, I still didn't hear any apologies. All I got was "this is how the process works". No, it doesn't. It works like this: you screw up, you call me to apologize and you cancel the remaining premium.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have been paying on my pet policy for MONTHS. They took 2 months to review a claim I made for my pet. Then said all information wasn't available. Took ANOTHER 2 months. Then denied all claims. They took my money and continually took my money while wasting time and receiving more monthly payments. This company is a joke. They are NOT on your side - AT ALL.

This whole experience is one of the worst I have EVER dealt with for insurance. They were rude on the phone, laughed at me when I asked after a month why my claim hadn't been processed, they said, "we are backed up" - then laughed. WTF?! I called another month later - still nothing. Then they came back saying they needed more information. While charging me EACH AND EVERY MONTH. Then they denied all claims saying preexisting, when they were not pre-existing! She had an allergy to weed killer, and they won't cover any allergies now. WEED KILLER is a poisonous product, and therefore can't be deemed as all allergies!

Nationwide is awful. I will tell everyone I know to not go through Nationwide - EVER. I have written in multiple times through email about my experiences and have been consistently ignored. I will be cancelling all policies and never going through nationwide again. YOU ARE A SCAM. You rip your customers off and then you take it out on my pet by not covering them. SCREW YOU NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My insurance rate almost doubled after my first policy I had with them renewed. I had been dealing with an agent who had been helping a family member for many years. I tried to get it reduced but was told that I got an introductory rate before although I am certain that was not mentioned. I canceled the policy and went to a competitor and have not looked back.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had an auto accident while I had this insurance company for my auto coverage. I hit a parked car when I slid on the ice. I contacted the insurance company and the police. Provided them with the details by phone and within one week the car was deemed totaled and they cut me a check for their valuation of my car which was considerably more than I ever expected. It was a smooth, seamless transition and I was able to purchase a newer vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I started using Nationwide when I was 19 or 20 because my mom and grandparents always used them. I have been in one crash before and was pretty worried about the whole process of claims and whatnot, what'd be covered, etc. It was all very simple and painless. The agents I have talked to over the years have always been very nice and helpful. Hold times are super quick, etc.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The customer service is great. They are always there to answer questions and resolve any issues. I had an accident which wasn't my fault and they took care of it really quickly. They did not increase my insurance as a result. They were helpful. I had no problems using them and will use them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My experience with Nationwide has been great. They gave me the cheapest quote when I was shopping around. I started out online and eventually called them cause I was running into some problems and the agent that I got was very helpful and professional.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This is a local company that is in my small town in North Carolina. They are a family business and that is the way that I like it. Their father was the owner until he passed away and then they moved back into town in order to take it over. I have been a customer before and after. It is a great place. They are very good at what they do and I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My mother in law was killed in an automobile accident. Her insurance carrier was Nationwide. Due to the fact that she did not survive and suffer from her injuries Nationwide is only willing to pay $2000 for her death due to a little clause they hide in their insurance policy. So people beware. Mom was the only car involved so there was no one else at fault. Her life was worth more than $2000. Nationwide is NOT ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I've had Nationwide for decades and have always been happy with my coverage and service. On the few occasions I've needed to file a claim they have responded rapidly, and took care of everything without hesitation. I love this company and won't be switching anytime soon.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We switched to Nationwide from Liberty (who'd we'd been happy with for more than 10 yrs) because they lured us in with a 60% savings for the bundle. In 2 years, w/ zero claims or violations & only adding a young driver & one car, premiums DOUBLED to $814/mo! Fed up, we made 3 calls to 3 competitors & ALL came in around $400/mo for BETTER coverage. Called our rep to cancel at end of month & ensure no more payments would come out after 9/30. Angry, he actually hung up us! We weren't even mad. Just direct and polite. But before he did, he confirmed there would be NO deduction on Oct 1 from our bank account.

On 10/1, the day after were no longer covered, they took $814 out of our bank account. Called our agent who said, "That's just the way THEY do it. You'll get a refund in 7-10 business days." Unacceptable to wait that long, we called CS to ask for an expedited refund, but instead, blindsided when told "your refund is $26 because we've been billing one month behind since October 2016. I'm not sure what it was set up that way. We don't do that. Looks like we never took your payment in Oct 2016 and we've billed after coverage ever since." I asked if they tried and it was insufficient funds (not possible but asked anyway), he said, "No. We didn't even attempt to take payment. That's weird."

We escalated our complaint and also called our agent again, who after learning we would file a formal complaint on him, changed his tune, but still took no responsibility. He said, "That's strange. I'll look into it. Nationwide set it up that way. Not me. (What?) Looks like Oct 2016 payment was never taken." We are reasonable people and said, "if that's the case, we owe you $413 for that month, not the $814 for Sept 2018 you took from us." He disagreed. Since then, I've escalated our complaint even higher. They won't directly answer "Why didn't you take Oct 2016? Instead telling me it's nothing to do with the $800 they took on Oct 2018. (what?) Also, won't answer "Is it co. policy to bill AFTER coverage?" Which they've done for 2 years without telling us.

Now, we're short $800 this month unexpectedly and we simply can't find anything WE did wrong. Sounds like it's all on them, and Nationwide doesn't care, and from the sounds of these reviews, I doubt we'll see that $800 (or even $400, the difference from Oct 2016 and what they took from us on Oct 2018). UNETHICAL SCOUNDRELS!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My son and I share a car, insured by Nationwide. I work 1.5 Miles down the road, he has a work van. We have never had a claim with Nationwide, barely use the car. Our monthly bill was $71.95. Then they renewed our premiums, which are now $191.00. Again, low mileage, never a claim, pay auto withdrawal from my bank account. Perfect customers here, just paying our bill every month with no accidents. Crazy increase, completely unfair. I called to dispute, they did nothing except say that is their increase, nothing they can do. Beware of this company, they have bad business to good customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Nationwide denied my claim, because their customer lied to the police when providing their statement. Nationwide's (Claim Adjuster) said she had to believe their customer, because our statements differed. I provided evidence (photos), that proves/supports my statement was accurate, my statement to the police was that it was a head-on collision, and their customers wasn't. The photos show the driver's side hood of my vehicle was ripped open with the passenger side of Nationwide's customer's vehicle. Nationwide has no morals like their customer. I am being victimized not once, but twice and likely more times by Nationwide and their customer. It is Criminal that Nationwide can get away with this, just because they can.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I'll preface this by saying I have been a Nationwide customer since 1993. Heads up to all current Nationwide customers. Once your policy changes over to the new system, & your quarterly renews, you are going to lose your Farm Bureau discount. My husband's insurance just went up $74.87 per month. When you call, they will let you know that the discount is applied to "voting" only. The only way to achieve that status is if you work on a farm or are insuring farm equipment. The lady on the phone was nice enough to tell me that mine will be increasing when I renew in the next couple weeks... No ma'am, mine won't. I am going with another insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

About 2 years ago I was rear-ended by a Nationwide policyholder. My husband and young family members were in the car. Thank God, no one was hurt. My husband was driving at the time of the accident. The car is registered in my name only. I called Nationwide right away and gave them all the details of the accident including their policy holder’s information. I gave Nationwide my email and phone number as requested. They also asked for my husband’s information. When I questioned why they said because he was driving they might need to ask him a few questions about the accident. From that point on they sent all email communications directly to my husband, even when I asked them to send it to me. My husband even asked that they send everything directly to me.

Their insured accepted responsibility for the accident almost right away, after that there was no reason to contact my husband but they continued to send him emails and tried calling him. He never took their calls or called them back. One time the claims handler called me to say she could not reach my husband. I told her there was no reason to talk to him and that the car is mine and I am handling everything and that all communications should go through me. They still continued to send emails to him.

The claim handler came to my house to give me the check for the repairs. The check was made out to my husband. I was so mad. I had her change it. Nationwide sent my husband a survey via email and he forwarded to me. I filled it out stating how I was disappointed with their service and how I was treated/ignored. They never followed up. I vented my frustrations on social media and a friend replied that the same thing happened to her. They would only acknowledge and speak to her husband. They ignored her completely.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When I met with an accident (Not At Fault) the person who hit me had Nationwide Insurance coverage. Police report was filed and they paid for the damage to my car. When it comes to diminished value I am having very bad time dealing with Nationwide. They seems to be not at good to pay fair amount of diminished value. I sent appraisal report, multiple demand letters but the problem is the Nationwide won't listen. Will recommend to stay away from an insurance company who refuse to pay insurer's liability.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Nationwide hooks you in with a "fair" rate. Then the rates keep rising. A couple months ago I called to see why my insurance premium went up quite a bit. They said all my discounts dropped off because I had the insurance for a few years. This is how they reward their longtime customers. I never had a claim; we have been accident free for at least 15 years, probably longer. Plus my husband and I are retired so our trips are mainly to the grocery store five miles from our house and a few doctor visits. And again this month my insurance went up!

They decided to raise the fee for making monthly payments from $1 per month to $5 per month. I am fuming while searching for a new company. The only reason I have kept them this long is because our house insurance is with them and when I drop the car, they will jack up the house insurance by hundreds a year. But they give us no discount on car insurance for having the house insurance. Horrible company! Don't get hooked!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I created a policy for me and my 21 year old son. Policy each month was $179.00. Last month I logged into the app to pay and my balance was $223.00. I immediately called my local agent who advised me that their system "kicked out" my son's comprehensive coverage and the local agent took it upon herself to select the higher deductibles for us to lower the amount due. Apparently it had shot up to 279.00 after the system somehow "kicked out" my son's comprehensive! NO ONE GAVE YOU PERMISSION!!! When I asked why she could not just recheck the little box beside comprehensive on my son's vehicle, she gave me a runaround.

Logged into the app this month to pay, and got the "Smile, No Bills here!" So I asked my son if he paid the insurance and he said no. I called the 877 number and was told my policy was canceled with no amount due from me to the insurance company! No email, no letter, no phone calls to alert me to any issues with our policy. How can a company take it upon themselves to make unauthorized changes to a policy and then cancel before the new month's payment is even due??? This company canceled my policy with no reason whatsoever. I will never use this company again and will attempt to prevent others from using them as well.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky