Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.33/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

995 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was rear-ended by a Nationwide insurance holder. The customer service right after the wreck was exceptional. As a month passed and it was now time for the repair and Nationwide provided rental. I had an issue being responsible for damages, if they occurred to the rental vehicle. My choices were, pay $16.00 per day for insurance on the rental or file a claim on my insurance provider. Neither one of these options is acceptable. I emailed my adjuster and did not receive a response. I called the CSR who I had contact with at the beginning of the wreck. She did not return my call.

I waited a few more hours and sent her a text. No response. Hours later I called and finally got a person, who was not getting my point. She patched me through to the adjuster who acknowledged receiving my email. This conversation was basically her reaffirming that I was responsible and it would cost the company millions of dollars annually if they provided insurance on rental vehicles. They were only responsible for providing transportation.

Along with the inconvenience of having to deal with the wreck, driving around for a month with my trunk duct taped closed and being blown off by their adjuster...and now worrying about the potential for a wreck (since it is a daily thing on the road I travel to work) happening in a rental that I wouldn't be driving in the first place if their insured would have been paying attention, would cost me out of pocket. My point is...until I get my car back...they should responsible for the rental insurance since I am driving it due to a wreck that was not my fault and should not have the worry of additional $$$ expenses.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

A warning to small business owners: We all know that insurance companies are loath to make a payment on any claim. My experience with Nationwide has been no exception – though I would say that they have been especially dismissive and unprofessional. In a nutshell, I placed a claim at the end of September 2018. I was given my agents phone number but no email or mailing address. The agent didn’t respond in anyway until the end of January 2019. His response was a form letter rejecting my claim. Not only was the letter full of typos and inaccurate information, the agent did not respond to my basic questions such as, “did you send out an estimator” etc. None of this surprises me. I have however heard of more responsive insurance companies. Avoid this one like the plague!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I've recently had my vehicle totaled due to theft. After reporting the situation to the insurance company, the assigned claims adjuster immediately begin to speak about fraud. Although I understand that there's a process each client must go through I do not understand the lack of respect, dignity unprofessional, lack of communication. I've even request to have another claims adjuster to handle my claim. Only to be told by the same adjuster that I couldn't. The fact that their Motto states "Nationwide is on your side" is so far from the truth. When paying insurance with no lapse in coverage, I would have thought the company I've trusted to honor their logo. To make matters worse I'm still at a lost on what step, angles, or directions to move forward with the finalization of my claim.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We have auto and homeowners insurance for 40 yrs through Nationwide. We filed one claim in 40 yrs for a small (-2000) amount of hit and run damage to our vehicle. A fraud agent came to our home, unannounced and gave me an opportunity to tell “the truth”. The adjuster bullied the body shop then left his job. We had 2 more adjusters coincidentally? quit the company. We finally, after repeated efforts to contact and 3 months, received a letter of denial. 40 yr clients with no previous claims. 1 yr later and we received a bill for the rental car that Nationwide arranged “as part of the claim”. We never received a return phone call and no responses to any emails. Beyond disappointed that we trusted and believed they were on our side!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Ever since underwriting took over the last year Nationwide gone to the pooper. I’ve spent prob total 3 hrs on the phone last 6 months, not one convo pleasant. Not one rep can give the same answer, and I do not feel they know what they’re doing. I moved And called to update my billing information for my auto policy and cancel my renters insurance. Ever since, it’s been nothing but problems. From me being told I HAD to add my LANDLORD to my policy because they're a liability for my vehicle? To being told I just had to give verbal consent over the phone stating I’m excluding them. To being told that isn’t the case. To receiving a letter threatening cancellation due to not sign paperwork to add them to my policy. To being told I just needed to sign an exclusion form to exclude them from my policy? Sound confusing, try being me being told back and forth different things.

I don’t need to deal with this headache and choose to go with different provider who can properly do a job so I called and scheduled a policy cancellation for the 13th this month and got new insurance elsewhere. THEY NEVER CANCELLED. My 50th call today was a battle, a headache and me being told they could cancel my policy but refused to escalate my concerns about my policy not being cancelled (please note: THEY HAD NO NOTES ON MY ACCT ABOUT ME CALLING AND CANCELLING) because it didn’t meet eligible requirements.

So. Me calling. Cancelling my policy. And it not being cancelled and calling back again to get this handled isn’t a good reason? A joke. After pushing and basically demanding to speak with someone who can just look up the call, the rep disconnected on me. Terrible experience and I will never give my ninety to this failing company again and love sharing this bad experience anywhere I can to try and save others the headache. A joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I would not recommend selecting Nationwide auto insurance. I had auto insurance coverage with Nationwide from Sept 2017 to Jan 2019 while living in Missouri. I moved to Washington and Nationwide declined to continue my coverage. I received a ticket in Hawaii in 2016 from accidentally driving in the bus lane. They do not have bus lanes in Missouri and the concept was new to me. Before I realized my mistake, I was issued a ticket. It's frustrating that an insurance company would just end your coverage when moving to a new state for a ticket that happened almost three years ago. It appears this exciting move to a new city will also be with a new auto insurance company with hopefully better customer relations.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We switched from Geico to Nationwide a few years ago only because we thought we were saving. Geico was so easy to deal with - always prompt and responsive. I was recently involved in an accident where I was seriously injured and 11 days later Nationwide still hasn’t even looked at our car to tell us if it’s totaled or not. They’ve been unresponsive, dismissive and not very forthcoming with assist to help us navigate this. It’s been a nightmare. I would never recommend this insurance company. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have had Nationwide ever since my husband and I got married almost 40 years ago and he had it even before that, so at least 45 years. We have everything insured with them but they have lost long time customers now. Be sure to not get rear ended sitting in a lane waiting to turn left! Unbelievably Nationwide said it was our fault! How? So you had better watch your back if you have Nationwide insurance! And 40+ years of coverage with them doesn’t mean a thing either!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have recently been so disappointed in my experience with Nationwide. I was a loyal customer of their's for many years, but recently switched after several horrible experiences. First, several years ago I had someone file a claim against me during a parking incident. Nationwide agreed that I was not at fault for the accident during the investigation. Come to find out, they changed the ruling, and DID NOT even contact me to let me know or have the option to appeal, which I certainly would have done. I received NO notice or communication after the original ruling. I only discovered about the change while shopping for better rates.

After feeling totally betrayed by this discovery, I cancelled my policies, which was something I certainly would have done years sooner had I been aware of how they handled that incident. Now, I am being billed for a change to my old policy which was made only due to an error on their part, an error which I was again unaware of. It is very concerning to me that so many issues happened with my policies, and I was never informed of any of them. Insurance is there to protect my biggest assets, and I need to have trust in that company. Nationwide is no longer a company I trust.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First, let me say that I have never experienced a failure to handle a claim like this. I was rear ended by a Nationwide customer and my car is undrivable. No word on when it will be towed to their repair center and whether I can get a rental car! Going on 4th day without a car. The other driver admitted fault. I just want my car fixed!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I’m going to start off saying I have nothing against this company. Me and my dad was with this company for over 10 yrs until he tried to go with USAA and it didn’t work out the way he thought and he came back to Nationwide. And we went to a local Agency in Moncks Corner and that guy was horrible so left him for another Nationwide Agency. My dad passed in Oct 2018 and I took the death certificate to a local agency thinking that was the end of everything but no it was not. They still took money out of his account and apparently the agent I took it to couldn’t make any changes so nothing was updated with his account but you would think the lady would call but of course not.

I called customer service and got the rudest lady on the phone and these people really don’t care. I just lost my dad and before they could cancel anything they needed more than the death certificate but POA which is ok but if I wasn’t I guess they would kept taking money out my dad's account. When I thought it was finally over I was still getting bills for him in December. I was pissed. The bill was for his house insurance.

When I told that lady I wanted both to be cancelled they still did whatever they wanted to do because guess what? It’s not their problem or family member. I called again and again. Got 3 more rude people so I hung up and prayed because this is unreal. Finally I got someone to help me and she was confused how everything wasn’t cancelled and guess what? Once again she couldn’t find his death certificate or my POA so I had to send it through email again. This was the worst I had to deal with and grieving for my dad. Bottom line coverage is ok but if you or your family member pass good luck getting them to stop payment.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They would not pay for a deer hitting my truck. I had insurance through then because the truck was insurance months before in my father in laws name they said they could not cover the wreck. The insurance was in my name when it happened but said because it was in his name the truck they would not cover me. They are the worst insurance company ever. I have never filed a claim in my life and this is horrible. Even the man who worked for Nationwide reviewing it said THEY WERE WRONG. DO NOT GET INSURANCE WITH NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have been with Natiowide for about 18 years and just had two accident that resulting in totaling my car and rear ended me while I was at a red light! Nationwide low balled me, was not on my side and threatened to cancel my policy due to those two accidents in 18 years!! They are petty and clearly not on our SIDE. FYI: All those years I had auto, home, life, animals and cars.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

12 plus years with Nationwide. We add my daughter and they triple our premium. We also have our home insurance with them and it does not matter. We used roadside assistance. It has been 9 hours with my 18 year old stranded. Car is still not picked up. They said she needed to wait with it. 18 yo for 10 hours on the side of a road in 25 degree weather.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Nationwide can't make a decision and stall on my claim. My vehicle is covered by New Jersey Manufacturers (an awesome insurance company that cares about its customers) and was parked when it was struck by a Nationwide customer. This happened on November 11th 2018. It's well over a month and Nationwide is still trying to figure out who is at fault and if they are going to accept liability. My insurance company has diligently followed up but they as well are being ignored. Meanwhile, I am out of pocket nearly $1,000 right before Christmas. I live paycheck to paycheck and an expense of this nature is hard. I just would like to know when am I getting reimbursed for something I had no fault in. I consider myself to be responsible and always advocate doing the right thing. You would expect better communication and service from a company bearing the name like Nationwide.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

16 years with this so called insurance company gets you nothing. We have home and auto through Nationwide. In 16 years we have yet to file a claim. Well my son had a fender bender. His fault. So we call Nationwide. They want our truck towed to Service King for repair. But the truck sits in a tow yard for 5 days before we finally get some contact from our Nationwide rep. who then tells us they couldn't reach us to verbally release the vehicle. Funny, they had all our contact numbers. So then it finally gets to the repair shop. 5200 to repair, mostly labor. Now the truck is an older model Tacoma but we bought it off the showroom floor. One owner. It was in pristine condition. We had just replaced the fuel system, battery, shocks, leaf springs and new tires. That truck was taken care of. No rust.

Factory alloy wheels in great shape. Fluid changes every year (transmission, transfer case.. Etc). The motor purred. The mechanics were amazed at the condition. But after 3 days Larry ** our adjuster pops in, decides it's not "economically" worth fixing. Looked on Kelley Blue Book for a value of the vehicle and surprise 7000 in its condition. Surprising was the criteria used by adjusters to determine if the vehicle was worth fixing. Interior, like new. Has had seat covers from day one. Clean. Dash, no cracks. Exterior, only thing wrong was the front bumper and grill and some mounts for the radiator due to the accident. Tires, brand new, not even 2 weeks old.

So here it is again, trying to reach someone who knows why it was totaled, we called Larry not 2 minutes are his message and straight to voicemail, repeat of the prior week. Tell you what, the only thing I've seen that appears as if anyone there knows anything is passing the buck. Oh you know State Farm will be getting a call. Hope your lack of service, professionalism and a genuine lack of concern about your paying customers was worth losing a 16 year customer. I guess it's better to find out now that they only want your premiums and could care less about their customers or loyalty before anything really bad happens and you actually need a real insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was just checking into auto insurance and Nationwide is very aggressive, they will even send you text daily to get you to contact them. I, unfortunately, was dealing with an aggressive insurance agent. He started out giving me a bunch of discounts and I told him I paid one price which it stayed the same every year. He said to me, "Why wait a year when you can get a discount in 6 months," they are lying, they are not going to give you a discount in 6 months. They are going to go up on your insurance rate. He had to have all of my information, your checking account in order to give you a quote. He refused to give me an estimate, I had to buy the insurance before he gave me the quote. I ended up getting snookered in the end, my insurance has not gone down, it has gone up. Do not trust Nationwide, they are do not deserve your business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was enticed to go with Nationwide car insurance because they have competitive rates and has a SmartRide Program. They gave me a 10% discount right off the bat just for participating in the program. I was hoping that with good driving habits for the duration of the program which is about 6 months will lower my premium on my next renewal. I ended the SmartRide program with 35% discount because of my good driving record while participating in the program. You would think that I would have a lower premium right? Nope, this was not the case. My premium even went up on my renewal. I asked customer service about it and they told me that the reason it went up is because the rates in my area went up, which I know was total bs. What about my 35% discount on the program? It is useless, it is a scam. It is a marketing gimmick to boost their customer acquisition.

Customers would think that with good driving habit they can lower their premium up to 40%. With this in mind, customers are enticed to go with Nationwide. And then comes the renewal, they would find that they will not give you the discount you are entitled to have. I felt cheated. I felt like a fool falling for this marketing trick. I am not the only one who had the same experience with Nationwide SmartRide program and their rate increase tactic. Go ahead, google it yourself. You would find similar problems encountered by customers.

Matthew ** who works as a Senior Resolution Analyst in the Customer Escalation department was very helpful at first while I was in the program. Sweet talking about how they will use my SmartRide discount upon my renewal. But then the renewal came, and Matthew ** was stuck with their scripted tactic and told me that there was an insurance rate increase in my area, and that if I have additional questions I should contact their customer service. What? Really? Aren't you a customer service yourself and has the title Senior Analyst? And he can't help me. No explanation whatsoever about my 35% SmartRide discount on the program if they used it or not. If they put the 35% discount in my renewal rate already, that only means my renewal rate increase is $300.

In my 10 years of car insurance coverage with Geico, I never experienced an absurd rate increase after 6 months. They enticed me to sign with them with a good rate and a promise of more savings with their SmartRide program. Neither is happening because this rate increase was absurd, and two the SmartRide program was totally useless and a scam. Go ahead search it yourself, don't fall for their marketing ploy. I will definitely look for another car insurance company. Nationwide has no integrity.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was struggling with my health issues, and wasn't able to pay on time my bill either see the mail they sent to me. They just cancelled my account 2 weeks later just a day earlier than the day I remembered my bill and decided to pay. I tried to negotiate with them to reopen my account even with the fact they charged some late fees, they refused. For me this is not normal.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

If you never had any wrecks, moving violations, and tickets in decades your bill will mysteriously start at $150 and still go up to over $400. Ours kept ballooning each month after and the customer service who is suppose to be licensed in insurance gives you no legitimate reason why till you have to cancel and get a legitimate insurance company. The FTC needs to investigate their business practices and white collar theft to grow their bottom line. Take heed and do not sign up for this insurance with Nationwide no matter how desperate you might be. If you don't believe it sign up with them and find out they do the same to you after you are in the poor house because of it. STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY AND USE IT FOR YOUR CHILDREN INSTEAD OF GIVING IT AWAY UNDER FRAUD BY NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had made a claim early September. They had to investigate as they said I had a $5000 deductible? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Also, I was paying nearly $200/mo. for just this one vehicle. So we reach out, “change” our deductible but it won’t cover our current claim. So we reach out yet again, they say they’ll launch an investigation but there’s nothing they can do about my claim and they’ll call us back with any news. I dropped them and found another policy holder with a $90/mo. premium AND $500 deductibles!! Who would have guessed? We still have yet to hear back from them and it is 11/14/18. Anytime my husband calls them, they tell him they are unauthorized to discuss this with him OR that they don’t have access to that because they’re new in the customer service department. I am highly highly highly disappointed. DO NOT use them!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Trying to gather insurance quotes using online quote system. Had to call two times before even filling out first two pages on website. The representative Rick was the worse about trying to help the situation, I tried twice to explain my issue with website and he acted like I was too dumb to figure out how to fill out basic information. The website displayed a error message without a cause or way to correct. Rick pretty much told me if I can't figure out how online works then you need to call in. I told him why have online quote system if nobody there knows about it or how it works. I am Extremely frustrated! As I told Rick that I'm trying to give Nationwide my business. He said he can give me a Quote now but after speaking to 3 highly incompetent workers including Rick, I will no longer consider Nationwide Insurance and I encourage other patrons to review from all websites before doing business with companies like this one.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

AVOID NATIONWIDE AT ALL COSTS! 1. Nice touch submitting a survey to a customer (with a finite completion date), when in fact said customer had not had their damaged vehicle returned to them. Interesting way to obtain and compile data... definitely skewed results! 2. 102 days! Yep, 102 days from day of accident to when the vehicle was finally repaired and we were contacted to pick up. If that’s Nationwide being on MY side, well, that’s just a huge joke! Suffice it to say, that the only side you were on was your own!

3. The vehicles that were damaged were PARKED and unoccupied. Yep, an uninsured individual driving on a suspended license exited an off ramp (witness say at 50+ mph), and plowed into our trailer which in turn hit our truck which in turn pushed our truck into the path of an oncoming semi truck. So our truck/trailer was hit from behind as well as in front.

4. A rental car was initially provided and then TAKEN away. Our vehicle was still not repaired. The other insurance company complained that Nationwide was “taking too long”. The understatement of the century! 5. The other insurance company contacted us FIRST, actually within 48 hours. They immediately accepted responsibility and sent us an email to that effect. Obviously, no word from Nationwide. There’s that “on your side” thing again... what a colossal joke!

6. Eventually, WE contacted Nationwide. We explained the situation and that the other insurance company had accepted TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY for the accident. The claims manager for the driver encouraged totaling the vehicle due to the extent of the damage incurred. YOUR Nationwide affiliated repair shop also encouraged totaling the vehicle, again, due to the extensive damage.

7. The vehicle damaged was a 2016 Ram, 2500. You, Nationwide, refused to total the vehicle despite the other insurance company‘s recommendation and going against your own repair shop. Hmmm, since when did a keyboard warrior have experience that exceeds their own affiliated repair shop as well as the insurance company that was paying the bill... THE OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY. Shameful antics, Nationwide!

8. The fact that you, Nationwide, does not assign a single “case manager” that would assist the customer from beginning to end. No, instead you bombard the customer with more than 30 people...emails, telephone calls, letters, etc. Yes, we started keeping a list of the various individuals...the number exceeded 30! No one had any authority. No one had any answers...”I need to transfer you, I need to have my manager talk to you, I have to talk to ** and will get back to you., etc., etc.” I’m presuming that you feel that type of approach will serve to confuse the customer and your shady antics will go unnoticed. Again, shameful, Nationwide!

9. I could continue, but I don’t see the point. You don’t care! At all! You are out for yourself and the customer be damned! You collect premiums, but when the customer needs to access the insurance paid for... well, they are left holding a very empty bag! And this wasn’t even our fault... you should be so ashamed of yourselves... apparently though, you believe your model to be a viable business model. I for one, will attest to a different opinion. The only way a valued customer can combat your inexcusable atrocities is to fight your despicable process the only way we can... take our business elsewhere. Which we did... all 14 policies... homes, boats, automobiles, etc. We have also told anyone and everyone that we come in contact with to avoid Nationwide at all costs.

You, Nationwide, are the absolute WORST example of a customer-centered business. You, are who give insurance companies a tawdry reputation. Unfortunately, Nationwide, you deserve the award for THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA! Hold your head high and proudly display the well-deserved banner, THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA! You are so bad it needed repeating, if for the only reason that your folks can’t seem to understand the concept of doing the right thing.

I will end this diatribe with something that again, bears repeating... collectively, Nationwide, you should be so ashamed of your behavior as it relates to the adjudication of this claim. If I were you, I would be unable to look myself in the mirror. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. Apparently, you have become so desensitized, that doing the right thing is not even in your wheelhouse. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES AND YOUR SUBSTANDARD HANDLING OF THIS CLAIM!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I chose this company because others in my family have used it for decades. I've been with this company for a couple of years now, it's ok service. But I wish there was more incentives or such safe driving rewards.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Nationwide has treated me very well over the past 15 years or so, and I get all kinds of discounts for being a safe driver and bundling services. I had a claim a couple years ago from an accident and everything went super smooth. They took care of me next day and never had to worry about a thing.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I called and spoke to a claims person to find out my deductible after hitting a tire on the road. It was cheaper to fix the parts out of pocket than use deductible to replace with new parts. I moved at the same time, so assumed my premium increase was related to moving. 2 years later, my brother says my premium is outrageous. I shop around and another company tells me I have points on my insurance record. I discover that Nationwide put points on my insurance record for a claim that was never paid out on. Provided receipt showing I paid for $200 of repairs and not $1100. They admitted they were wrong to increase my rates and told me I would be issued a refund of $1300.

Two months later and multiple phone calls and emails later, I finally learn that they refunded me $250 and put the rest towards my Nationwide account. Nationwide.com does not reflect the credit on my account, and I am tired of chasing this so I switch insurance companies. When I cancel my Nationwide account, I learn them used the credit to adjust my premium and the monies owed me was not applied to my balance, so I got roughly 1/3 of the money owed to me. Following up with complaints to California Insurance Commission and hoping to recover my funds without hiring a lawyer. I was a customer for almost 20 years. STAY AWAY FROM NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

So... someone makes a typo that costs me a week without a car insurance and suspended registration and does not even bother to say "I am sorry" for that. On October 8th I called Nationwide to cancel my car insurance effective October 16th (when my new policy was supposed to start). Last week I got a letter from the NYS DMV saying that my registration was suspended because I was driving without any insurance between October 8th and October 16th (???!!! ). Apparently, some moron at Nationwide, canceled our insurance on the day I called, instead of the requested future date. I still don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had an accident during that time. I am seriously nauseated.

So... yesterday I get a nasty letter from Nationwide saying that I still owe them the premium for the week of October 8th - October 16th (after they sent me the overpaid premium bank to my account) because apparently someone realized the mistake. So, no I drove a car without an insurance for a week, got my license plates suspended (and a fine of $64) and I am supposed to pay a premium for that??? WTF? After an hour on the phone with their CS representative, I still didn't hear any apologies. All I got was "this is how the process works". No, it doesn't. It works like this: you screw up, you call me to apologize and you cancel the remaining premium.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have been paying on my pet policy for MONTHS. They took 2 months to review a claim I made for my pet. Then said all information wasn't available. Took ANOTHER 2 months. Then denied all claims. They took my money and continually took my money while wasting time and receiving more monthly payments. This company is a joke. They are NOT on your side - AT ALL.

This whole experience is one of the worst I have EVER dealt with for insurance. They were rude on the phone, laughed at me when I asked after a month why my claim hadn't been processed, they said, "we are backed up" - then laughed. WTF?! I called another month later - still nothing. Then they came back saying they needed more information. While charging me EACH AND EVERY MONTH. Then they denied all claims saying preexisting, when they were not pre-existing! She had an allergy to weed killer, and they won't cover any allergies now. WEED KILLER is a poisonous product, and therefore can't be deemed as all allergies!

Nationwide is awful. I will tell everyone I know to not go through Nationwide - EVER. I have written in multiple times through email about my experiences and have been consistently ignored. I will be cancelling all policies and never going through nationwide again. YOU ARE A SCAM. You rip your customers off and then you take it out on my pet by not covering them. SCREW YOU NATIONWIDE.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My insurance rate almost doubled after my first policy I had with them renewed. I had been dealing with an agent who had been helping a family member for many years. I tried to get it reduced but was told that I got an introductory rate before although I am certain that was not mentioned. I canceled the policy and went to a competitor and have not looked back.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky