Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After 30 years insuring 3 cars, motorcycles, house, and only one claim, 20 years ago, my rates drifted to 2X prevailing rates. After I retired, I had time to research and discovered I was being screwed. I cancelled all my policies and got another highly rated company at HALF the rates from Nationwide. They sent me 2 refund checks, and then an OVERDUE BILL for the auto insurance threatening me with COLLECTIONS if I did not pay it. What a MESS!

I insured my custom Jeep with Nationwide and after being in a car accident, Nationwide wouldn't pay me enough to get it fixed. They treated it like a stock vehicle even though I over insured it to cover all of the upgrades or so I thought. Buyer beware. Take your business elsewhere. I have had Wawanesa in the past and was very happy with the customer service.

Nationwide is defiantly not on your side. I started a policy with Nationwide to cover my vehicle. Everything went well for the first two months. Then I got a letter on December 2 stating that they were going to cancel my policy on December 19. The reason for cancellation was due to the fact that I did not disclose all drivers. So I called to see what I could do to keep it from being cancelled. The first thing they told me was that my call was being recorded. I told them that the person they claimed was living with me did not live in my house and also did not have licence. I was told that this information was being forwarded to the underwriting department and if they needed further information I would hear from them.

Fast forward to December 19 I received a letter at 4 P.M. from Nationwide stating that my policy was being canceled on December 19. I called them to see what I needed to do. I was told that since it canceled at midnight there was nothing I could do. So now I am sitting here with no car insurance and they are telling me there is nothing they can do other than open a new policy. I told them I cannot do that before Thursday when I get paid. So they tell me if you don't open a new policy today you will have a lapse in coverage and will have a higher premium. So I have to pay for their terrible customer service and their mistakes. Thank you for being anything but on my side. I am just going to look at reviews and shop around for better insurance.

I was once in a pileup, and the agent I called immediately showed up with checks so I could pay off the loan and look for another car, even though I had not yet submitted the complicated details of the mishap to the head or regional office. The amounts offered are certainly adequate for the needs, and the types of coverage available include the usual, such as auto, home, renters, motorcycle, business liability, recreational, life, and marine. The overall value was confirmed not only by the competitive premiums, but also by the way the claim's payout enabled me to continue on with no disruptions to me, financially. My local agent (Wayne) showed up within a few hours of my initial contact with the company, despite it being a Sunday in bad winter weather.

Claims processing was fairly easy. All I had to do was call, take a few pictures and everything was handled. I never had to go into the office or anything like that. It was awesome. I got full coverage for a premium price and mom always said you get what you pay for and I sure did. Awesome coverage, fast and accurate. You got to love Nationwide. I didn't have to pay a lot. I pay a premium price for this insurance. Even if it were a little bit more pricier I wouldn't mind because you get what you paid for and I want peace of mind. I want to know that everything is covered at a moment's notice. I can call them and everything will be settled fast, quick and in a hurry. I would rate customer service with 5 stars. I've already had to deal with claims forms and emails and customer service and everything was handled in a small amount of time. Customer service a plus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

They made sure right away what I was covered for and gave me the right people to contact for each phase of the process. I never had to wait on the phone for a rep. When I left messages, they returned my call promptly and were patient with my questions. I feel the amount of coverage I have for the amount I pay in premiums is fair. It's good to know that when I needed it, I didn't have to pay out of pocket for anything.

The value to my life is the peace of mind knowing that I can count on them to take care of expenses when I need them, like medical, loss of employment pay, and transportation needs. Everyone I spoke to about my claim was courteous and patient and explained things in great detail to me when I didn't understand something. I was surprised to discover how many different employees at Nationwide were there to take care of specialized aspects of the claims process.

I've never had to make a claim personally but I have friends that have said it is a super fast process and very simple. This is why I'm with this company. There are multiple people on my plan so this helps a lot. If I ever have a wreck I know I will be completely covered. I never have to worry about not being covered. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend for a multitude of reasons. Great value for what you have. The customer service is great. I had a discrepancy on one of my bills and they instantly fixed it and I have had no problems since the incident was resolved.

I am extremely unhappy and disappointed with Nationwide. I switched over my auto and home policy for the convenience of saving money. However, my auto policy has been so mishandled from "home office" that I have been playing "catch up" with my payments since I was 3 months into my new policy and it's going into a year now. I have a local agent and she has been working every month trying to help me straighten out the issues and somehow the "home office" seems to not be able to get anything right. I really have had a terrible experience with Nationwide.

I really regret switching over auto insurance with Nationwide. What seemed like saving money has cost me over $600 in the month of November, and now they want to charge me over $400 in December; for mistakes the "home office" continue making month after month. On top of it all, my husband and I were involved in an accident in which we were not at fault and Nationwide really did a poor job handling our claim. Switching over to Nationwide has been a nightmare for me. Nationwide is very impersonal, very irresponsible and does not put customers first. They have made numerous mistakes in my policy and then charge me for their mistakes.

No claims to report. Accident free for the time of being insured by the company. Very friendly customer service. Office was clean and comfortable. If rates were cheaper would cancel insurance have now and return to them. I am no longer with this company so I am unable to give you an estimate on the coverage they give you. New customers will gave to call the company to see for themselves. When I had coverage with them the value was ok, but after a while the rates started to go up regardless of my policy never having a claim. Customer service was friendly and helpful with any questions that you would have. Always on a first name basis. Easy to talk to and very low wait time on the phone.

I had never needed to make a claim with this company but the process explained seemed to be an easy process if it would have been necessary and had needed to use it. I was able to get the coverage needed at a reasonable price with deductible for my specific needs and situation for our family and vehicle. The value was good when considering payments, coverage and deductible. It was a good value for our family and the coverage on vehicles needed. Customer service was friendly and helpful from the beginning with deciding on the best coverage and through the process of making payments.

I've never used their claims processing but other people have told me that the customer service was outstanding. Usually they only had to make one or two phone calls and their claim was processed. Their coverage includes all options for cars, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, SUVs, ATVs, and anything that can be driven. Nationwide provides insurance that also includes roadside assistance. Their prices are outstanding. Nationwide has provided me with a great price for auto insurance. It has helped me balance my budget and be able to do extra things at the end of month. I've only had to deal with their customer service once, but they were extremely pleasant. They helped me right away and my questions were answered right then and there.

Never had to make a claim, but I was happy the office was less than a block from the house if I had to at any time and that my agent was a friend and relative. I only had compulsory so coverage was state mandated and though I never had to make a claim, I felt I had adequate coverage. I had coverage in case someone drove into me or mine and could feel safe knowing we had coverage for any unexpected injuries that may have been sustained. I never had much opportunity to deal with customer service except to sign the yearly policy so I couldn't really give a great estimate of their continual service.

Good and fast service, friendly people to deal with local business atmosphere, online capacity, knowledgeable people with a great understanding of the claims processing. Good coverage at a great price, comprehensive collision coverage rewarded for accident free and medical pay coverage deduction in price for students who are academically gifted, accident free also accident forgiveness policy.

I value it highly and would recommend their price to anyone considering the coverage that they provide, flexible payment plans with the great deduction plan. Good customer service, reliable and fast with friendly support team, an agent that I can trust and that can meet all of my needs, a team that is willing to go that extra mile for your needs, I can personally say that.

I haven't had a claim with this company. However a close friend informed me that, the process was daily easy. They complied with her very quickly. They offer so many products, it's a little overwhelming. But with the help of their agents, I choose the perfect coverage. And I get cash back for being a safe driver. It's great value for my money. I don't have to worry about my rates increasing. Anytime I have a question or an inquisition, they are always right there for me, making recommendations and guiding me towards my best options. Absolutely wonderful customer service. Every person I have talked to, is always eager and willing to help. They go above and beyond to best fit my needs.

Well we had a little bit of trouble in the begin of making a claim. We have some trouble with the other driver who hit us. He was unwilling to admit his wrong to anyone including the police officer. Which he didn't believe him. Once the and police report came in it all fell in place. We are paying a little more than we would like but the coverage is better and with us having two kids we just like having the extra cushion in case something happens. The value of the coverage we have now is great. Just knowing that if anything happens they are only a phone call away to help with any problems is a life saver. We had an incident where I forgot my insurance card "lost it" and they sent it by email as fast as they could... which was almost immediately.

It was a glass repair and it was speedy. With most of their service has been quick. I'm not happy with their inability in perform good service in the claims adjuster on one a person filed on me. It's been over a month and he's not or his supervisor hasn't returned any calls.

This company would do anything to help out their customers. The amount that we pay yearly for the coverage that we receive is better than most insurance companies that we have looked into. They give us coverage for the basics that we need and nothing else added. This company seems to offer all the basics that we need at a reasonable price based on our research of other insurance companies. I am happy with the customer service.

When I submitted a claim, I was contacted right away. The agent was very helpful and explained everything we had to do, including how to get a rental while our car was being fixed. Our claim was paid right away. They cover every aspect of car insurance available, including car rental while your car is being fixed. The adjusters come out right away to give a estimate. Being in a accident is stressful enough, but they make it a lot less stressful with the ease of filing a claim. Also the car rental option is very helpful. As I stated before the customer service is very helpful. They make the ease of filing a claim very easy. Also they make getting a rental while your car is being fixed very easy.

Most of the work is done for you, from road side assistance to organizing a rental to take you where you want to go and then within minutes a claims Rep is assigned to you and he does the rest to get you back on the road as soon as possible. Plus they are not punitive to their customers for filing a claim, like other insurance companies who punish you for years for filing a claim regardless if it is your fault or not. Nationwide is the best and I have tried several. Customer service is A1 class. They put people before money. Attentive customer Reps Living up to their sales slogan always on the customer's side. An accident is terrible for anybody involved, empathetic Reps guide you through your claim without overwhelming questions or paper work and they truly forgive accidents.

Ask for claim follow up. Just that easy, they don't hassle you real good. The workers are not rude. The coverage is affordable. They helps with my car. I had no problem. They paid full as long you keep up with payments you will have no problem and you be happy. Well just glad to know I will get help if I had an emergency, never know what will happen. It affordable. They really come thru, don't give me a hassle. Just smooth sailing. Customer service is nice. They treat you like a real person who serious about the problem you are having, call and give you update as well email, make sure you know what going on.

My Aunt was in a car wreck. My niece and mother were also in the car. My Aunt contacted the agent. He did nothing however in two years she heard from him. My oldest sister and brother in law were in a separate accident neither of them at fault. The agent went to my oldest sister and brother in law with check in hand to pay them. This agent did nothing for my aunt. A guy pulled in front of her car at the light and the 3rd car rammed into my aunt's car. My niece and mother were hurt but not bad enough for an ambulance. So I tell people that Nationwide sucks because the way this agent didn't take care of my aunt and her occupants.

Nationwide Insurance is the WORST! We signed up for their car insurance when we bought a new car and we paid for it up front for the first month, at the car dealer, at the site they told us we were covered and good to go. We even waited until they sent cards on the mail to cancel our previous insurance and just found out TODAY, after over a MONTH that our car is NOT YET INSURED. Now they are not willing to take responsibility for THEIR error and we can't get insurance anywhere! That's not acceptable! Legal action will be pursued if necessary.

I was involved in an accident. All I had to do was take them a copy of the police report. They did the rest. Like Really. I didn't have to do anything. We have exactly what we asked for, at the best price. They have a wide range of options, and coverage, and are very helpful in deciding what is best for you and your family. We Got quotes from all the agencies we could think of, when we were looking. Local companies, underwriters, online companies, 800 numbers - Nationwide had the best quotes, and the most helpful people. They have a 24-hr phone number. I have never hung up the phone more confused, or angry, or frustrated. They are always helpful and informative.

Just fast and easy to do business with no hassles with claims, you feel really comfortable when contacting your agent for information. Nationwide is a very reputable company I would recommend to my family and friends. The coverage I get from Nationwide is remarkable and great coverage for the price, covers all my needs, meets my expectations on all areas I need to be covered by this auto insurance, really good coverage.

The value Nationwide offers for the price I pay for auto insurance is great for all my financial needs, meets my expectations. I have no worries when it comes to the value, Nationwide serves me best. The customer service that Nationwide offers is remarkable, always good agents to talk with you via internet, mobile or text, always answer my much needed questions on time.

My husband's car got stolen by a drug user and blood and his needles were in car. Nationwide had the car taken care of and had a rental car for my husband the next day. When you call the number to reach a person at Nationwide they do everything in your power to help in anyway possible.

The ease claims is very good and it does not take long to do. The people are very helpful but also willing to negotiate. It is also very cheap which is nice. I really like this company. The coverage is very good and covers a wide range of insurance possibilities like car and house insurance. It is also reasonably priced and affordable for my current income. I feel like this company is a very good values because while it is cheap you are getting a lot out of the package and that's always nice. The customer service is surprising very helpful for an auto insurance company and the people are very friendly and willing to work with you on your problems or concerns.

I needed an SR22 in order to pay my reinstatement & begin the process of obtaining my driver's license again. Why I went w/ Nationwide' without checking the reviews first, I don't know but I paid $196 in July 2016. That was supposed to take me until Oct 2016, & after calling a few insurance companies prior, I felt I would go w/ this one. BAD idea! So I paid $200 to take me to Jan 2017 thinking I was good to go. All of a sudden I had to move to another city. Called Nationwide & they said I would have to pay $55 or my insurance would lapse. The increase was due to the move. What???

Furious, I called back and was told to pay by Dec 11 or it would lapse (by the way, the rep was dry & inconsiderate). I called Dec 1, 2016 & the automated said I owed $77 Nov 5, 2016. WHAT??!! I talked to another rep that said it was due to me being late. LATE?? After fussing about me feeling like I'm getting played, she said she would be willing to waive the $12 late fee. Today is Dec 7 & I just received a letter from Nationwide saying I owe $250 Oct 2016. I was so mad that Nationwide has stolen $400 from me. In anger I ripped it up!!! My advice to Nationwide: You all will keep people if you don't get over on them!!! My advice to you: read all of these reviews & DON'T waste your $$$ on Nationwide. They are NOT on your side!!!

My pregnant wife, three-year-old, and myself were T-boned by an elderly unaware driver. Not only did the insurance adjuster take an extended vacation in the middle of the case, and pass it off temporarily to someone completely unaware of the situation. as well as the fact that every lane of communication we had with him, he ignored for over two weeks. If you ever find yourself negotiating with one of Nationwide's finest insurance adjusters, take healthy notes to put in your complaints to the Official insurance bureau. Also get a lawyer, don't negotiate with these ill-prepared, poorly trained amateurs.

Processing a claim. I've never done, but I'm sure it's easy to do, so just talk to one of the representative. They can help you with your claim and any other problems that anyone has with Nationwide Insurance. I have a low monthly payment insurance plan. I know they have Liability coverage, full coverage, all anyone has to do is contact them. It's easy to do just pick up a phone and call Nationwide is on your side, that all I know. It has a great deal of value to my life, helps me meet my everyday needs. Customer service is great. This is a great company to do business with, they always advertising on TV.

I've never had a problem with customer service. They speak English with no heavy accent. They resolve your problem, if any, immediately. I shopped for another insurance company after being hit with a double bill from State Farm. This company was gentle and honest about its approach to Seniors. In fact, they were very good in price for this Senior. I highly recommend them. They also are lenient should your bills be a tad tight because you only receive Social Security Income which is low. They are friendly and kind to Seniors.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.
  • AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.
  • Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.
  • Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.
  • Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance