Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
1.56/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1011 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I switched to Nationwide recently from Progressive. I hadn't liked the way Progressive had handled my first claim in 20 years and found a lower price afterward with Nationwide. 2 weeks into my switch I left my sunroof open during a storm and had very bad mold damage. I could not have been more pleased with how easy Nationwide made everything. My representative here in NC, Nathan **, was just fabulous. He cut me a check on the spot, set up the rental car (which I had for a week) and was very considerate. I truly felt taken care of during a rough time (the car was making me sick!) and I can't recommend them enough.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had an auto accident while I had this insurance company for my auto coverage. I hit a parked car when I slid on the ice. I contacted the insurance company and the police. Provided them with the details by phone and within one week the car was deemed totaled and they cut me a check for their valuation of my car which was considerably more than I ever expected. It was a smooth, seamless transition and I was able to purchase a newer vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I started using Nationwide when I was 19 or 20 because my mom and grandparents always used them. I have been in one crash before and was pretty worried about the whole process of claims and whatnot, what'd be covered, etc. It was all very simple and painless. The agents I have talked to over the years have always been very nice and helpful. Hold times are super quick, etc.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This is a local company that is in my small town in North Carolina. They are a family business and that is the way that I like it. Their father was the owner until he passed away and then they moved back into town in order to take it over. I have been a customer before and after. It is a great place. They are very good at what they do and I would recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident a few weeks ago. I changed lanes and the car in the lane I changed to rear-ended me. I followed traffic laws, I checked all mirrors, I used my blinker, I gauged the distance of the other car in that lane, and the other car wasn't paying attention and rear ended my car! I’ve been involved in 1 accident 17 years ago, not my fault, and haven’t had any tickets since 2004. Nationwide found me to be at fault for improper lane change based on the police report and the other person's communications. I played phone tag with the agent, left messages, etc. When I finally spoke with the agent I was advised my insurance would pay for the damages. I felt the time frame it took for me to speak with Nationwide prompted the decision.

I called my local office, Tolar Agency Inc and spoke with Sharon’s Tolar. I explained my concerns. She offered to research the decision and contact me back. That was June 7th and I haven’t received any communication since. Today is June 14th! Her office never fails to contact me when my payment is due! However, she has not made any attempts. I expected the Nationwide folks to put me off, I never thought my local office I’ve been a patron of for 5 years would dismiss me. I expected better customer service! So, not only were the national company not on my side the local agent wasn’t either. I’m shopping for reasonable insurance with great customer service! I hear Amica is the one, we will see! I won’t give Nationwide nor Sharon Tolar my business for much longer!

Original review: June 5, 2019

I've had to file an auto claim before, but the apathy at Nationwide surpasses anything I've encountered. After waiting for 30 minutes to report my mother's accident, I was told an agent would call within 24 hours. She did call after I emailed her after 4 days. After giving the agent everything she needed including the contact info for the other part, she sat on her butt. The other part started contacting me asking for someone to reach out to them!!! After a week and a half!! I have not been able to reach the agent for past three weeks even though I send in the power of attorney so I could speak to her. Nationwide can wipe my backside.... They will take your money and give you squat. AS soon as this nightmare is over I am switching. Beware.

Original review: May 31, 2019

My car 2009 Toyota Corolla had hail damage. They made my car as total loss, only pay me $66. That's all. Isn't ridiculous??!! Stay away from Nationwide, I switch to Geico and saved $121 per month I paid extra for 9 years.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After settling on an amount regarding the total loss of my vehicle I was instructed to mail via priority mail my signed titled to Nationwide in a pre-addressed envelope. I did so and they lost the title and are now holding part of my agreed settlement back until they either find the title or have me make copies of my license and sign power of attorneys to them so they can apply for a replacement. I have been hurt in the accident and are not able to get around as much as I did before so their demands are difficult to meet at this time. Throughout this experience I have left several unanswered emails and voicemails to two of the three persons handling my claim. I am dropping Nationwide as soon as I am recovered from the accident. They are definitely not on my side.

Original review: May 26, 2019

HIGHEST AUTO INSURANCE QUOTE EVER. This is an auto insurance quote for a new policyholder, who's just out of college - 21, been driving 3 years, took a driving course, no tickets or infractions, and has great credit. Basic $539.92 per month, $3239.43 per 6 months. Standard $850.34 per month, $5101.94 per 6 months. Premium $979.68 per month, $5877.97 per 6 months.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I chose Nationwide Insurance 2/2019 for my new vehicle I purchased in 2/2019. Nationwide requested that I send additional information i.e Bill of Sale. I submitted it without a problem. At the time, I asked if I could change my payment due date. The rep told me I could. I changed it from 4/7 to 4/22. Unfortunately an autodraft hit my account on 4/7 anyway. Now we're in 5/2019 and I had not received any billing info regarding payment due. I called only to find out the cancelled my policy due to me being an additional driver on my husband's policy and I guess at some point his insurance lapsed.

So Nationwide cancelled my policy and did not alert me. I have been driving around with no insurance for over a month and did not know it. I called and was told they would not insure me because my spouse's policy lapsed in the past at some point. I was only an additional driver. So now I am hunting around for new insurance before I leave work because I would hate to get stopped by the police.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Nationwide Roadside Assistance sent Diesel DOC LLC to tow my son's Jeep. First off they said it would be within 90 minutes and they arrived 30 minutes late. When they left I noticed oil had leaked all over my driveway from the tow truck. One big spot from while he was parked and then about 5 other smaller spots from when he pulled in and pulled out. I called Moore Miles Auto Repair about 30-40 minutes after the tow truck left to make sure he made it there and the receptionist said no. I called Diesel DOC and the receptionist got the driver on the phone and he said he dropped it off at Moore Miles. The Receptionist was the rudest person I have ever dealt with. I called Moore Miles back and they said he dropped my Jeep off next door. I called Diesel DOC back to let them know what had happened and that their truck leaked oil in my driveway.

The receptionist hung up on me 4 times and threatened to put the owner of Diesel DOC on the phone, so I said please do. I told him what had happened and he told me in these exact words: “I’m not cleaning up your driveway! You can call the insurance company or get your ** out there and clean it up yourself! You can Suck My ** before I do it!” Then he hung up on me.

This is grossly unacceptable and no customer of Nationwide should have to go through what I went through today. I’m asking Nationwide to look at their reviews of Diesel DOC on Better Business Bureau and Google so you can see for yourself just how horrible this company is towards their customers. I then ask Nationwide to stop using Diesel DOC LLC as a result of how they treat their customers. To be honest, I don’t want to be a part of any Company that supports such poor customer service and unacceptable behavior. I have filed a complaint towards Diesel DOC with Nationwide. Nationwide told me someone would call me back within two days regarding the oil in my driveway. (Tried to upload pictures and/or video but system kept error if out.)

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been insured with Nationwide about three years then they started pulling the typical insurance bologna raising rates beyond what they should be, example I purchased a used car and called in to remove insurance from previously insured car that was sold. They never took the insurance off the car. I called 4 times over a 2 month period they said. They finally said they would reimburse me 60.00 and didn't do it. I had to call a 4 time and they wanted a bill of sale. I sold the car to a mechanic. I had to hunt him down and get a copy of the bill of sale and email to them. What a joke. I have never had to do something like this.

Bill was 90.00 per month. It went to 165.00. They took the money from me for 2 months. Don't use this company, I have a good driving record and a high credit score. I feel bad for a younger driver who may have had a fender bender. They must charge them a lot, Stay away. You have been warned. The customer service people lie and don't help. Remember Nationwide do a bad job. NO Customers.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I was in a hit and run accident. Some witnesses wrote down the license plate and I filed a police report. Initially, Nationwide said that the car was insured by another insurance agency. The other insurance agency called me to let me know that the previous owners had sold the car a few months before my accident. The police reached out to the new owner and the new owner did not show up to the police station.

During the claims process, I had to follow-up on almost every part of the process from initiating my claim, to letting Nationwide know that the other car was not insured, to updating my rental car reservation. I have been insured by Nationwide for over 10 years and have noticed a huge decrease in customer service from a claim over 10 years ago and this claim.

Original review: April 23, 2019

For an accident that was concluded 100% the other driver's fault, I was denied further medical care due to a false IME with many inaccuracies when I still needed it. From start to finish poor handling.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Have had 1 dealing with agent and I think could not have been handled any better. Had several contacts with the agent and felt comfortable while on the phone. The problem was handled in my opinion in a timely basis and had been informed all thru the process.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Never got my Uber money back the 2 weeks I didn’t have a rental. They gave me money for my deemed totaled truck (a whole month later). Which had one door crushed, broken mirror, and pierced tire all on the passenger side. After the truck money was received, she said she would put my Uber money back in my account. It’s been another month and a half. And she won’t respond. It doesn’t matter how much money it is, I've got my lawyer working on this. The Uber money should’ve been put back before I even got the truck money. Nationwide is not on anyone’s side but their own.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I moved from California to PA. Got a car insurance and renter's insurance with Nationwide. I was quoted a price and within two months my insurance doubled. I was not aware of the "Tort" option in PA and without my consent Nationwide changed my coverage from partial tort to full Tort. Nationwide claim they sent me an email with a Docu-sign option to chose my Tort. I did not receive it. In December after less than two months of coverage I signed a document with them by Docu-sign that they emailed me, opting out of the full Tort. I did not know I would have to pay for it anyway. I cancelled my insurance with Nationwide but still get billed for the backdated full Tort (I never consented to). In the last bill they sent me they are threatening of passing the "Debt" to a collection agency. Please beware of what you are getting into with Nationwide. I believe their conduct is predatory and takes advantage of people.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I wanted to share that I have had the worst experience with this insurance company. I drive a classic car and got hit by one of your insurers who is 70 years old and did not have his insurance with at the time of the accident. He did not even file a claim. I had to wait for a police report to contact this insurance company. Every single one of your team members is disorganized and I had to talk to three different representatives just to get to the claims representative because systems being down, people not doing their job so passing the work to the manager, which is ridiculous. Then there were two claims representatives on the case and I had to sort that out.

Throughout this whole process I was not even provided a car and would have to pay out of pocket till they did an investigation. I am 21 years old and I have never been in an accident and the one I have been in isn't my fault and my classic car "is a total loss" and you give me $400 for the hospital and car costs?! I will never recommend or get Nationwide Insurance in my life because of this experience.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

As a pedestrian, I was struck by a vehicle while in a crosswalk with flashing lights. One of the most unfortunate problems was that the insured driver had Nationwide insurance. There was clear liability which was uncontested but the gentleman I have been working with often goes weeks, months without responding to me. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with a situation such as this to not even receive respect our courtesy enough to get a response. I would never ever have Nationwide insurance after being a claimant with them. Human beings deserve better. #nationwideisnotonyourside

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was rear-ended by a Nationwide insurance holder. The customer service right after the wreck was exceptional. As a month passed and it was now time for the repair and Nationwide provided rental. I had an issue being responsible for damages, if they occurred to the rental vehicle. My choices were, pay $16.00 per day for insurance on the rental or file a claim on my insurance provider. Neither one of these options is acceptable. I emailed my adjuster and did not receive a response. I called the CSR who I had contact with at the beginning of the wreck. She did not return my call.

I waited a few more hours and sent her a text. No response. Hours later I called and finally got a person, who was not getting my point. She patched me through to the adjuster who acknowledged receiving my email. This conversation was basically her reaffirming that I was responsible and it would cost the company millions of dollars annually if they provided insurance on rental vehicles. They were only responsible for providing transportation.

Along with the inconvenience of having to deal with the wreck, driving around for a month with my trunk duct taped closed and being blown off by their adjuster...and now worrying about the potential for a wreck (since it is a daily thing on the road I travel to work) happening in a rental that I wouldn't be driving in the first place if their insured would have been paying attention, would cost me out of pocket. My point is...until I get my car back...they should responsible for the rental insurance since I am driving it due to a wreck that was not my fault and should not have the worry of additional $$$ expenses.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

A warning to small business owners: We all know that insurance companies are loath to make a payment on any claim. My experience with Nationwide has been no exception – though I would say that they have been especially dismissive and unprofessional. In a nutshell, I placed a claim at the end of September 2018. I was given my agents phone number but no email or mailing address. The agent didn’t respond in anyway until the end of January 2019. His response was a form letter rejecting my claim. Not only was the letter full of typos and inaccurate information, the agent did not respond to my basic questions such as, “did you send out an estimator” etc. None of this surprises me. I have however heard of more responsive insurance companies. Avoid this one like the plague!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I've recently had my vehicle totaled due to theft. After reporting the situation to the insurance company, the assigned claims adjuster immediately begin to speak about fraud. Although I understand that there's a process each client must go through I do not understand the lack of respect, dignity unprofessional, lack of communication. I've even request to have another claims adjuster to handle my claim. Only to be told by the same adjuster that I couldn't. The fact that their Motto states "Nationwide is on your side" is so far from the truth. When paying insurance with no lapse in coverage, I would have thought the company I've trusted to honor their logo. To make matters worse I'm still at a lost on what step, angles, or directions to move forward with the finalization of my claim.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We have auto and homeowners insurance for 40 yrs through Nationwide. We filed one claim in 40 yrs for a small (-2000) amount of hit and run damage to our vehicle. A fraud agent came to our home, unannounced and gave me an opportunity to tell “the truth”. The adjuster bullied the body shop then left his job. We had 2 more adjusters coincidentally? quit the company. We finally, after repeated efforts to contact and 3 months, received a letter of denial. 40 yr clients with no previous claims. 1 yr later and we received a bill for the rental car that Nationwide arranged “as part of the claim”. We never received a return phone call and no responses to any emails. Beyond disappointed that we trusted and believed they were on our side!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Ever since underwriting took over the last year Nationwide gone to the pooper. I’ve spent prob total 3 hrs on the phone last 6 months, not one convo pleasant. Not one rep can give the same answer, and I do not feel they know what they’re doing. I moved And called to update my billing information for my auto policy and cancel my renters insurance. Ever since, it’s been nothing but problems. From me being told I HAD to add my LANDLORD to my policy because they're a liability for my vehicle? To being told I just had to give verbal consent over the phone stating I’m excluding them. To being told that isn’t the case. To receiving a letter threatening cancellation due to not sign paperwork to add them to my policy. To being told I just needed to sign an exclusion form to exclude them from my policy? Sound confusing, try being me being told back and forth different things.

I don’t need to deal with this headache and choose to go with different provider who can properly do a job so I called and scheduled a policy cancellation for the 13th this month and got new insurance elsewhere. THEY NEVER CANCELLED. My 50th call today was a battle, a headache and me being told they could cancel my policy but refused to escalate my concerns about my policy not being cancelled (please note: THEY HAD NO NOTES ON MY ACCT ABOUT ME CALLING AND CANCELLING) because it didn’t meet eligible requirements.

So. Me calling. Cancelling my policy. And it not being cancelled and calling back again to get this handled isn’t a good reason? A joke. After pushing and basically demanding to speak with someone who can just look up the call, the rep disconnected on me. Terrible experience and I will never give my ninety to this failing company again and love sharing this bad experience anywhere I can to try and save others the headache. A joke.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I would not recommend selecting Nationwide auto insurance. I had auto insurance coverage with Nationwide from Sept 2017 to Jan 2019 while living in Missouri. I moved to Washington and Nationwide declined to continue my coverage. I received a ticket in Hawaii in 2016 from accidentally driving in the bus lane. They do not have bus lanes in Missouri and the concept was new to me. Before I realized my mistake, I was issued a ticket. It's frustrating that an insurance company would just end your coverage when moving to a new state for a ticket that happened almost three years ago. It appears this exciting move to a new city will also be with a new auto insurance company with hopefully better customer relations.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We switched from Geico to Nationwide a few years ago only because we thought we were saving. Geico was so easy to deal with - always prompt and responsive. I was recently involved in an accident where I was seriously injured and 11 days later Nationwide still hasn’t even looked at our car to tell us if it’s totaled or not. They’ve been unresponsive, dismissive and not very forthcoming with assist to help us navigate this. It’s been a nightmare. I would never recommend this insurance company. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have had Nationwide ever since my husband and I got married almost 40 years ago and he had it even before that, so at least 45 years. We have everything insured with them but they have lost long time customers now. Be sure to not get rear ended sitting in a lane waiting to turn left! Unbelievably Nationwide said it was our fault! How? So you had better watch your back if you have Nationwide insurance! And 40+ years of coverage with them doesn’t mean a thing either!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have recently been so disappointed in my experience with Nationwide. I was a loyal customer of their's for many years, but recently switched after several horrible experiences. First, several years ago I had someone file a claim against me during a parking incident. Nationwide agreed that I was not at fault for the accident during the investigation. Come to find out, they changed the ruling, and DID NOT even contact me to let me know or have the option to appeal, which I certainly would have done. I received NO notice or communication after the original ruling. I only discovered about the change while shopping for better rates.

After feeling totally betrayed by this discovery, I cancelled my policies, which was something I certainly would have done years sooner had I been aware of how they handled that incident. Now, I am being billed for a change to my old policy which was made only due to an error on their part, an error which I was again unaware of. It is very concerning to me that so many issues happened with my policies, and I was never informed of any of them. Insurance is there to protect my biggest assets, and I need to have trust in that company. Nationwide is no longer a company I trust.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First, let me say that I have never experienced a failure to handle a claim like this. I was rear ended by a Nationwide customer and my car is undrivable. No word on when it will be towed to their repair center and whether I can get a rental car! Going on 4th day without a car. The other driver admitted fault. I just want my car fixed!!!

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky