2. Automotive

Nationwide Insurance - Auto
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5
Compare Quotes

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records
Nationwide Insurance - Auto Learn More Compare Quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We've been with Nationwide for over 20 years. They have answered all of our questions and handled various claims quickly and without problems. Our local agent's office always answers or returns our call within a short time, and they're always pleasant. We trust Nationwide. They also provide discounts for belonging to a credit union. We have never been sorry that we keep Nationwide being sure that we are getting good rates and good coverage.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Customer service reps are very informative and helpful. The coverage is pretty standard nothing that would make it stand out against the rest. Discounts are applied quarterly if you have no accidents or tickets in the timeframe. They offer SmartRide which is tracked by an app on your mobile device. Your driving history is tracked for 3 months and if at the end of the 3 months you have no accidents and are driving “safe” a discount is applied. The amount of the discount depends on the information collected from your driving history. I have had coverage with Nationwide for almost 2 yrs now and overall I would say that they are a pretty good company.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really liked the fact that Nationwide offered (accident forgiveness & identity theft insurance) on my auto insurance!!! Less worries! I am a victim of identity theft and this day and time you can never be careful enough.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Simply seeking SOME communication/clarification from "seller" agent H. ** but after NUMEROUS call on "hold" or disconnected learner she does not, "speak to customers"! WELL,...EXCUSE ME,.. I accepted your sales letter as TRUTH; how naive of me!

Original review: June 28, 2020

Since May 12th I have been given incorrect billing, can never speak to the same agent, conflicting info about policy, then get a letter my policy is canceled! Don't even waste your time - you could end up uninsured without knowing!

Original review: June 18, 2020

After receiving a quoted price on the phone with an agent I purchased insurance paying for a one year policy in full. Two weeks later I received an additional bill for the same policy. After a week of back and forth I finally got to talk to someone and their statement was that my price was raised due to a question on my credit report in spite of a 793 credit score. I cancelled my policy immediately and will not do business with this company again.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Getting my policy to go into effect from an online or verbal quote was difficult. Nationwide did not want to honor a quote that they provided to me. They tried to give me a policy at a higher cost than I was quoted. Cancelled my policy due to an incorrect credit/debit card number provided for billing through automatic payment. Never took the responsibility to call me or send correspondence to tell me there was an issue with my credit card. They just cancelled my policy.

Nationwide provided a unfair claim/arbitration decision based on a false police report created by the police department. They recovered their damages but not my deductible or out of pocket expenses for the damage to my vehicle which was caused by the other driver. Their arbitration panel ruled that the other party was not responsible for the damage to my vehicle as the other party hit my car while parked in a valid parking space.

Nationwide Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company sells homeowners, life and other types of insurance, in addition to auto insurance. It has a 24/7 claims center. Insurance is available for all types of vehicles, including classic cars. Safe drivers receive discounts for good driving behavior tracked through an app.

• Coverage and plans: Nationwide has typical coverage to keep auto owners in line with state regulations. It also has add-ons like gap insurance, SmartRide tracking for good driving behavior, annual reviews for discounts and accident forgiveness.

• Cost: On average, full coverage from Nationwide costs around $1,350 a year. Minimum coverage costs about half that.

• Discounts: Nationwide has discounts for bundling, certain organization memberships, safe driving, automatic payments, safe driving, good students and anti-theft devices.

• Standout feature: Nationwide’s vanishing deductible option lets customers save money for driving safely. Every year that goes by without an accident, the deductible decreases by $100. A $500 total reduction is the limit.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor