2. Automotive

Nationwide Insurance - Auto
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5
Compare Quotes

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records
Nationwide Insurance - Auto Learn More Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

After shopping around, Nationwide was quite a bit cheaper. I've had to file one claim and it was easy, they paid everything. At one time they would not write a policy because they were not doing business in California at all. But they have relaxed that.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: May 27, 2020

To preface this review, I've been with Nationwide for over 15 years without filing a claim. I pay my bill 6 months ahead of time and I've never missed a payment. A few months ago Nationwide unexpectedly added an additional driver to my account. This more than doubled my premium, and I e-mailed and asked them to remove it. I got a bill the next month for the incorrect amount so I went online and changed my account. I paid the new amount and then didn't hear back from them until 4 months later when I got a letter that said my insurance had been cancelled.

I immediately called in and they required me to pay the amount that the extra driver cost for the period they had them on my account. This was $160. A week later the MVA sent me a letter that I was being fined $150 for not having insurance for the few days it took Nationwide's letter to get to me. I received ZERO notification that I was behind on payments...

Nationwide ignored numerous e-mails from me trying to deal with this, and the two associates on the phone refused to help in any way. After I told them I'd have to change insurance providers since they were costing me $310 all they could do was tell me they were sorry I felt that way. So to sum this up. Nationwide ignores e-mails, refuses to help customers when Nationwide makes errors, stole $160 from me, and cost me an additional $150.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I am furious! I have been with Nationwide for many years. I finally had to file a claim (2/20) because of damage that I incurred on my vehicle. I had no problem with them paying the claim and did expect my policy to increase a little bit. But a little bit is an understatement. My policy is up for renewal on 05/16/20. My policy actually "DOUBLED". The policy went from $679.00 every six months to $1210.00 every six month.

Thinking this has got to be a mistake, I called them. They informed me that there was a slight increase in the policy and a surcharge for the claim that I filed. Why am I being charged a surcharge when I paid a $500 deductible. I asked what was the surcharge amount and was told that he didn't have a percentage of the amount for the surcharge. I told the gentlemen that this is price gouging. They are claiming to be giving their customers back $50.00 to help with the COVID-19 expense but they are turning around and adding more to your policies. I also informed him that I will be cancelling my policy and looking elsewhere. This is ridiculous for Nationwide to take advantage of customers like this. I would advise anyone to stay away from Nationwide unless you never plan to file a claim even if the need arise. Furious!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

After unsuccessful dealing with Nationwide auto insurance for three weeks. I made a call to Geico. In two minutes Geico did what Nationwide could not do in three weeks. Caliber Collision and Nationwide Insurance are two peas in a pod. Thank you Geico and Gerber Collision and Glass.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After 10 yrs of being a loyal customer. Having 2 policies, car and renters insurance. They are screwing me over. I got into my first accident, after paying for a car for a yr and 3 months. The car is fixable says the autobody shop. Nationwide deemed it a total loss. They refuse to sell it to my stepdad as a salvage. And While I have not signed a damn thing, seem to have already sold it to the wrecking yard. And they are now harassing me over picking it up. It will cost more to pay off my loan, than to fix my car. I have a disabled daughter and need my car. When this is all over, I'm canceling all policies. Don't waste your time or money. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I recently got into a car accident and it was the other driver's fault but Nationwide did not provide anything. My rear end of my car is ruined and nationwide does not want to do anything about it. Do not go with this company if you want good insurance. I’ve been loyal to nationwide for 11 years and this is what I get in return. WORST INSURANCE EVER!!!!

Nationwide Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company sells homeowners, life and other types of insurance, in addition to auto insurance. It has a 24/7 claims center. Insurance is available for all types of vehicles, including classic cars. Safe drivers receive discounts for good driving behavior tracked through an app.

• Coverage and plans: Nationwide has typical coverage to keep auto owners in line with state regulations. It also has add-ons like gap insurance, SmartRide tracking for good driving behavior, annual reviews for discounts and accident forgiveness.

• Cost: On average, full coverage from Nationwide costs around $1,350 a year. Minimum coverage costs about half that.

• Discounts: Nationwide has discounts for bundling, certain organization memberships, safe driving, automatic payments, safe driving, good students and anti-theft devices.

• Standout feature: Nationwide’s vanishing deductible option lets customers save money for driving safely. Every year that goes by without an accident, the deductible decreases by $100. A $500 total reduction is the limit.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor