Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.80/5

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Insurance is a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, giving it the opportunity to focus on policyholders with no investor demands to fulfill. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

PROS

• Allows customized plans
  • Vanishing deductible program
  • Strong claims support by its 24/7 claims center
  • Superior financial strength with more than $2 billion in assets
  • SmartRide offers up to 40 percent in discount for safe driving
  • Provides classic car insurance

CONS

• No rideshare insurance
  • Higher rates for drivers with unfavorable driving records

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My car was hit while parked by a Nationwide member and suffered a big dent and a crushed rear wheel. The member left a note with the number for a claim she had opened. Unfortunately this was before a weekend so I didn't get through to the adjuster and obtain a covered rental until Monday evening. Since I hadn't gone through this kind of process before I had to get my head around what the options were. I learned that I could select my own body shop, but it seemed simpler to use one approved by Nationwide. I was concerned that the shops offered by Nationwide might be ones that cut corners to charge less money. But when I looked the closest ones up on Yelp, I found one with good reviews that I might have selected on my own. So we went with that shop and the repair of the dent went well.

When I picked up my car I was surprised to see that the wheel, though repaired, still had some bends in the rim and was missing the hub cap. The technician took a picture and said he would order a rim and hub cap. After not hearing anything for a few days I emailed the adjuster about it. He responded that it would be taken care of and a few days later I took my car back for the day and got the wheel fixed. Overall I was happy with the process and the repairs, although ideally it wouldn't have needed nudging along (apparently). I was rather sorry not to have been offered a cash settlement, since the repairs cost about 40% the value of the car and I might have been willing to live with the dent for some of that.

Original review: March 6, 2019

When I first logged on the evening of my accident, I confess... after reading the reviews my husband and I had serious reservations and concerns. On Friday, March 1, I was rear ended by a 19 year old distracted driver. He slammed me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes. There was extensive damage to the car, some of husband's work equipment, and I injured my wrist but it wasn't broken thank heavens. I have to say kudos to this young man's parents. You have done an amazing job!! He was extremely remorseful and accepted 100% responsibility for the accident. Nationwide was he/his father's carrier and I am so sorry for the negative experiences those of you have encountered with the company. As for me and my husband? We couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far.

They were prompt in opening the claim, the adjuster made contact with us immediately (even though she was sick with a sinus infection). She had just spoke with the driver of the other vehicle, obtained the police report, spoke with my husband and phoned me for a statement. She immediately made arrangements for my husband's car to be returned to the dealership for repairs (it was a 2018). She made arrangements with Enterprise for a rental (2019), took care of the medical and is working on a compromise for the inconvenience and towards closing the claim. Nationwide has made my husband and I a priority. We couldn't have ask for better service. So thank you to Tamara our adjuster and Nationwide for doing all you can to help us thru this unfortunate circumstance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have paid top dollar to Nationwide for decades. They are a complete scam. No matter what it takes they will avoid paying a claim they don’t even argue is legitimate. No matter how valid the claim they will lie, distort, bully, and do whatever necessary to not pay the claim. I have had an accident where I was stopped at a light and a woman slammed into me without looking up from her cellphone. Five years later, I got NOTHING from my 1.3 million dollar underinsured motorist coverage from nationwide. They lied, cheated, scammed and spent three times in attorney's fees what the claim would have paid. Run do not walk to any other company. They will not honor your contract. They know it will cost you more to fight and you will lose. Do not give these criminals your money. You will regret it I promise.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have had my insurance through Nationwide for 30 years. One speeding ticket and thankfully never an auto accident so they've actually made lots of money off of me! My rates were really good for my one automobile. I got a second automobile and because they were adding that on because my credit is not perfect They upped my rates! Not for 1 second taking into consideration that for 30 years I've never missed a payment with my insurance! So I will now be looking for other insurance how unfair! There's no such thing as customer service in the world anymore and that's just terrible.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Rates were good - went through a broker. I hit a bush - bumper got dislodged - nothing urgent. When I went to get assistance - that's when things took over 2 weeks to resolve through broker. Old technology (DOS) and my agent couldn't log into their system regularly. Billing issues were an issue as well - I truly got lost (2 cars, 1 home and business insurance). I'll be making a switch. Luckily I wasn't having an emergency. I can only imagine if I was.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

On Thanksgiving day our vehicle was hit while sitting in front of our house. It happened about 3 a.m. It was 11 a.m. before we noticed a card on the window and the vehicle had been hit from behind. It was hit so hard, the ash tray popped. The impact was so great, that it moved the truck 5 ft forward nearly hitting my wife's car which was parked in front of the house also. We immediately contacted our insurance company, we got in touch with his insurance company, they immediately tried to be as friendly as possible in trying to help resolve this situation. Over numerous times after the 26 of November, we have yet to have a conversation with the agent, as she was always away from her desk or not answering her calls or returning ours. We have tried to also reach her via email to no avail. As of today, we have yet to get this situation resolved and to have our automobile repaired.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My BMW was damaged front and back when a Nationwide client plowed his Dodge Ram into my car and pushed me into the Toyota in front of me. He took full responsibility. Nationwide immediately arranged a rental car for me and offered me money to close the Liability-Bodily Injury claim. I had not requested any money for injuries. One agent was being unusually kind to me while two Nationwide adjusters decided to total my car. I communicated with the BMW Body shop manager and learned my car could be repaired under the state threshold. The Nationwide adjusters knew this. I was offered a paltry settlement and pressured to total my car. I finally contacted my insurance agent at State Farm. In two days, BMW was authorized to repair my car.

Dealing with Nationwide was extremely frustrating and very time consuming. This was a 24 day ordeal and a deductible from me. I could have claimed back and neck injuries, hired a personal injury lawyer, seen a nefarious chiropractor, and demanded thousands of dollars from nationwide. All I wanted was my car repaired. Nationwide's adjusters made the unconscionable decision to total my car and stood by it. I was fortunate to have State Farm Insurance and honest people at BMW of Mobile on my side. My car was excellently repaired. There should be a no star option.

Not sure about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor