Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am asking for everyone's help and I never do this so please read and please share. My Dad died on January 1st 2017 and I'm sure most of you know this by now. There is a company that everyone needs to know about and a policy that everyone needs to be aware of. My Dad a few days before his death paid in to Nationwide Insurance $642.20 to pay his policy ahead on all 4 of his cars. NEVER PAY YOUR INSURANCE AHEAD. If something happens to you your money was wasted!

I called this company a few days after his death because I noticed this and asked what I should do and told them he had passed away. I was told that even though I was the only child and he was divorced that I needed to wait until I had a copy of his death certificate and until I had papers saying I was the administrator of the estate to cancel the policy, and in the meantime I had to let the cars sit. I do what I'm told at this point, and as most of you know it takes months to have this done. After everything is said and done I hand in the paperwork to them and later receive a check for $94 and of course I question them as to why it is so low when my dad had just paid them this money only a days before his death.

At first I'm told it was a mistake that the date they filed the paperwork to cancel the policy was put in as the death date instead of January 1st and they will correct it in 5 days. I wait over two weeks and call back. Then I'm told they are requesting that I sign the papers again. (No one called to tell me, I called them, so I was just waiting.) I go in and sign the papers and do everything the same as the first time and make sure again they have my phone number. I'm told to wait 5 days again - no problem it will be corrected. (Again a couple weeks later I call to check in.) I'm told I need to give them proof of insurance that the cars are all now insured. I drive back down and drop off this paperwork as well. (Now keep in mind they told me that I had to wait to cancel this policy. I wanted to put these cars from the beginning on my policy.)

I am now being told that they can only back up to the date that we insured them! When they told me not to insure them! The woman on the phone even told me to wait to insure them because my insurance company would be cheaper and our money would go further once I transferred them over to our policy. So I asked them who they were insuring because we were not on my Dad's policy. I also said had we driven the cars and wrecked them they would have told us that we weren't insured and that they wouldn't have paid out for that. I was told by them today 6/15/17 had a tree fallen on my Dad's car he would have been insured!

I said "okay my Dad, a dead man, would have been insured not us so you still wouldn't have paid us for the tree and how often does that happen?" He then tells me that I'm making assumptions that they would have paid out and that in the state of Ohio all vehicles must be insured at all times and that I need to have my insurance company call their insurance company to verify how long these cars were insured. However my car insurance is much cheaper than theirs and I wanted it on my insurance from the beginning which they held me up from doing.

So I guess they get to keep the money for the cars they told me not to insure and to let sit because I did what they said and I didn't switch them over to our policy right away! Never pay your car insurance ahead for the year if you pass away your money is gone! Your family will not see this money and you threw it out the window! NEVER USE NATIONWIDE INSURANCE. THEY WILL NOT BE THERE FOR YOUR FAMILY IN THE EVENT OF YOUR DEATH!

Consumers beware!! I had a Nationwide policy and evidently just because I was the policy holder, they reported that I was the driver in an accident that I was nowhere near! Not only did I report the accident including who the driver was, who was at fault, etc. But also, I sent medical bills for the driver on my policy! (Right, not me!) Furthermore, it is their responsibility to follow up via police reports if there are any questions concerning the driver of a vehicle, or other accident information! Will Nationwide fix their error? Of course NOT!! You have to go through some third party reporting company where it will take a couple months to MAYBE be corrected! Nationwide is on the side of ripping people off and messing up their lives!!

On Jan 28, 2017 this year, I took the RV to Nationwide RV prefer body shop for repair. Initially I was told 6 to 8 weeks from Jan 28. I will get the car back. By March I was told there was factory delay. I was told by insurance the part will be done by May. After May 8, the part was completed. They find problem to ship the product from Indiana to California. The insurance company and their prefer body shop seems no clue when they will fix my RV. Almost 5 months and they still could not find way to fix my RV. I voice my frustration to Nationwide Insurance but don't seem to find a solution.

I have several accounts with this company including home, auto, life and 457 account. I recently received my auto and home renewal. Boy was I shocked to see such a big increase in both. I went ahead and paid the bill then I called the company to ask why such an increase in both. I was told the increase was not because of me but because the company didn't make the profit they wanted. Are you kidding me? Your profit was in the millions and that wasn't enough. After I ended my phone call in which I voiced my opinion I received another bill for my auto for an additional 5.00 charge. I plan on closing all my accounts with this company and going to a company that isn't so greedy and truly cares about providing a good service.

I recently experienced a total loss vehicle from an accident. At the scene the police officer indicated it was the other driver's fault. I contacted Nationwide to report the claim, and the agent asked if I wanted to go through Nationwide or the other driver's insurance company. The claim agent went on to explain that he could make it faster, but, I would have to wait for the deductible. I indicated that would be okay. Nationwide uses a company CCC One for their total vehicle loss claims. CCC One started out by using a statewide average value for my auto. I asked Nationwide how they obtained that value only never to be addressed or answered. Then CCC One determined an adjusted value for a comparable automobile on a car lot.

I asked how CCC One determined the value and was told I had to have a conference call between myself Nationwide and CCC One. Nationwide would not give me the mathematical formula used to arrive at a value. This went on for several weeks, until I paid an auto appraiser $ 45 to arrive at a range of value of between 9,000 and 12000. Nationwide/CCC One had put a value of 7300 for my car, while I had a value of 9800, a big difference. I certainly was not going to accept the Nationwide/CCC One value so I contacted the other insurance company who used an AudaExplore Autosource market-driven valuation which put a value on my car of 10396. Be careful if you encounter CCC One for a valuation, run away because they will underestimate your loss by 30%.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

My mother's husband passed away a year ago and since then my mother has been visiting her children in different states, staying at one place days at a time and going back and forth between Maryland and Virginia. She has not decided to change her state of residence. Nationwide wants her to add everyone in my sister's household to her insurance because according to Nationwide "they all have access to her car keys", even after my mother has told them many times she is the only driver of her own car and everyone else has their own insurance. They don't care about their customers, only their pockets! Shame on you Nationwide.

Your client had an accident at our home 3 days ago. She hit a trailer in our driveway pushed it into our carport and her car hit our house, knocked out part of our kitchen wall and destroyed one side of my kitchen. I was told the adjuster would be here within 24 hours. I did talk to him on day 2 and he said he could not come until day 4. This is day 4 and I can't even get him to answer his phone. I also cannot get the person who is handling the claim to answer the phone. Nationwide is not on our side nor will they ever be my insurance carrier.

They broke into our truck and needed Nationwide to help us, but? Called our Insurance agency at 7:30 am on the morning of the 25 of May 2017. Had to leave a message on the recorder, waited for my agent Dwight Henderson to call me as soon as they got into the office, I got busy with other things and by 2:45 pm no one has called me from my Insurance agency! WTF! I better call them and by now it was after 3:15 pm. Marry the wife of the owner tells me, "O' I was just about to call you," I said, "O' REALLY!! It's after 3 pm now, when were you going to call me?" We are looking for a new Insurance Agency because we also had a problem with their Customer service, they Lag and they act like they don't really care about You! Very ** Service here. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND DWIGHT HENDERSON INSURANCE AGENCY! I HAD TO CALL THEM AND GET THE HELP I NEEDED! SCREW THAT **!

Pay Attention, things aren't always what they seem. These guys are slimy. If you are rebuilding your credit take caution of their use of 3rd-party companies. I had no idea I was even paying a 3rd-party company until I mentioned "Titan" as the name in my bank statements, which somebody explained to me who Titan actually was. Nationwide will lead you to believe you are working with them directly, and always transfer you to the "department" that handles your account when in reality they are giving you to another insurance company. It's really sleazy and explains why I was paying so much. These 3rd-party insurance companies also hit you with a cancellation fee. I literally shaved $100/month off my plan by switching to State Farm. Will never go back to Nationwide again.

5 months ago I had an accident in my leased vehicle. It was determined that it would be totaled as a result of the amount of damage. There has been some conversation, but no resolution as of yet. As a result, I have made 5 payments on a vehicle that is not drivable. I am a pretty patient person, but it would be nice if someone would contact me. This time has given me an opportunity to shop around for my other 3 vehicles and home that I have with Nationwide. Everyone that I have talked to all the way up the chain has lied to me and no one has followed up with me in reference to any of my concerns and questions. I feel Nationwide is NOT on my side.

Is it a common practice in the insurance industry for insurers to take it upon themselves to add drivers to insurance policies they think they live at our address? Nationwide sent us a letter informing us that our rates are going up because they have reason to believe they are a resident of our household or have frequent access to our vehicle(s). This individual stayed with us for about 3 months last summer because she had nowhere to stay while she was home from college. They evidently found her name connected with our address somehow and assumed she still lives here and drives our cars (she has always had a car of her own to drive).

The Nationwide agent I spoke with indicated that the burden of proof is on me to provide some evidence that this individual lives elsewhere. I think I can manage this, but I'm wondering what my recourse would be if I was unable to, or if we no longer had contact with this person. This seems like an underhanded way of inventing customers to bill for.

Two claims, one I paid 200 out of pocket for use of rental car, taxes and fees were not included. That's what I was told plus I got a horrible and racist service from my agent (Raphael **). Spoke with his manager and he transfer the call to him so nothing happened. Now I have another claim by which I'm paying to get a 40$ rental car reimbursement. I go to enterprise. They say I have to pay everything upfront otherwise I won't get a car I need to call my insurance (Which I did and they say "It's weird it says that you have car rental in your policy, let me find out"). So now I'm waiting without a car because mine is in the shop. Oh and they withdrew money out of my account and I got a letter that I didn't make a payment and on my account says clearly they withdrew the money and then again their answer ("It's weird let me found out and I'll call you back). Currently looking for another insurance tired of 2 years of bad service.

My dad carried Nationwide car insurance for several years. He cancelled his policy via writing it on the statement and sending in the required letter that they sent to him, making it two different times that he "THOUGHT" he had it cancelled. My dad got sick and passed away. They are now sending letters stating that he owes for 2 months due to non payment and penalties for cancelling the policy prior to 6 months of renewal.

I have called multiple times, talking with several people, some saying that they just received the letter and some saying they don't even see anything, stating that he had wished to cancel. They say they will send it to collections if it isn't paid. Can you please tell me how can you collect from someone who has passed away? Very rude people. I would insure my dog with Nationwide. Stay Away.

Be aware of Nationwide. They are a fraud for me. I have a claim where Nationwide is secondary. They told me over the phone they will pay $40,000 after I sign release for primary carrier which I did and where primary paid what they owed. I have that conversation legally recorded but Nationwide decided to give me headache and is refusing to pay now. Phone recording means nothing for them. I am forced to sue them soon but decided I will share my story with random Nationwide locations. Nationwide is dishonest and will lie to your face.

Terrible by far the worst insurance company I've ever had to deal with. My mother and I use to share a policy together till it was time that I bought my own car with my own insurance. When it came time to remove myself from the policy. The agent on the phone told my mother that she would not be removing me from the policy since I had access to her keys to the cars that she has insured. My mother doesn't makes that much and like so many households money is tight. The whole experience I've felt exploited. After many month my mother tried to reason with this company till I decided it was time for me to speak with them. After speaking with them I was floored. Just save your time and go with Progressive.

I have been a long time customer. My rate is also continuously increasing, reason given, because of the accident rates in the state. Keep in mind I have no citations, or accidents period but stuck to pay for others. It's ridiculous. From 89 to 161... I would say is a huge increase. I'm currently switching to Geico, the cheapest rates I've seen yet! NATIONWIDE IS ON THEIR SIDE, NOT YOURS NOR MINE...They once was awesome but as time move forward, companies don't care about customers or loyalty. It's all schemes and ways to benefit the company only. Sad but true.

I first obtained auto insurance through Nationwide in 1971. I have not had a ticket since 1968. I had an accident in 2015 (I believe it was a setup but got no support from Nationwide) and the other party submitted a claim for $400. I had a minor accident in 2016 where the other party submitted a claim for $600. I just moved to Delaware and when I tried to transfer my policy I WAS DUMPED! For $1000 after almost 50 years! This company has changed! Do not expect any support or loyalty from them. Do not believe their advertisements. I advise you to avoid this company at all costs.

I have been with Nationwide for a while now. Switched from ins co to ins co prior to this place. I'm like 45 now and all through my 30s I looked for cheap monthly ins from anywhere who could beat the current price I was paying from whoever I was with at the time. Got a couple tickets in my late 20s, 1 or 2 in really early 30s. I just shopped around each time I needed to renew or whatever reason and went with the cheapest. Now, all that said, I now know I should've been with this place from the start. I understand they don't have like a stock thing or something (I don't know) but it's like they don't need to pay a big bonus to some big wig at the top? Like they're independently owned my wife just said. I'm not too bright as if you're still reading you have figured out I'm sure.

Anyway, the whole point is this - Nationwide is sweet! They have switched ins from probably 10 different cars for me in the last 5 years or so as I have bought a couple convertibles and ended up selling them to people who wanted me to go buy and fix me up another one, then give them mine! SO I sometimes end up calling Nationwide once or twice a year some years to drop one and transfer the ins to another one I ended up buying. But the payments are less than everyone and they got your back when I was hit by someone!

Now, check this out - they hit me, they got the ticket, yet their ins co tried to get the ticket changed to MY FAULT or at least a no fault so they wouldn't have to pay to fix my car!!! Why? Why put everyone through all that when it was OBVIOUSLY their drivers fault?? Now that's an ins co you don't want! I don't think I can say their name but it rhymes with, um... try this, "wurst coruptnence" or "zirst conceptance"? You probably get it! SO, to sum up this weird review, I know for a fact Nationwide was the best choice I could've made prior to getting them and I wish I would've had them from the time I was 16! They're somehow cheaper than anyone out there, even the generals and the acceptances ins companies that are supposedly cheaper.

Just ask the guy who hit me, on accident, how inconvenienced his life became after his "zurst noceptance" ins co wouldn't pay for what was clearly his fault. He got the ticket. He admitted he never saw me. He apologized. It was only a regular type of accident, not some crazy wreck where people got put in hospitals for weeks, etc. But they had him take off work over and over for appointments to meet with some of them. Their agents, claims people or whoever, their in house lawyers, had him taking depositions, court dates that were changed or cancelled at the last minute, asking (more or less telling him he said to me) asking him to lie, pressuring him to say this and that, and when it was finally over, he hated that ins co and said he wished he'd have NEVER got them.

It costed him more money in just missed work alone than he saved! ALL because his ins co was trying to get out of paying for something little! Not big mind you! Just a typical accident where he was leaving a grocery store parking lot and hit me pulling into it from the main road. They tried and tried to get out of paying anything, and for no good reason other than to save money for their ceo's yearly bonus or something? To try to get a promotion in their co? Because their in house salary ins co lawyers and it don't cost the co nothing extra to continue to hassle everyone involved so that they MIGHT decide they've had enough and settle for pennies? Or even worse, just get so tired and frustrated with it all that they drop everything and pay for their own cars damage when they didn't even get the ticket?

That's what this place did to this guy that hit me, not sure if that's regular practice with these ins companies, but it certainly was with him and he so regretted having them! Phew! That took a lot out of me, remembering all that crap back then (2 years ago) And they drug it out the legal 3 years ins companies supposedly get to drag anything they want. They drag it to the last day almost! AND what's so crazy about it all (as if all that wasn't crazy enough) is that they charge people MORE than most good ins companies like Nationwide!

I'm sure there are negative reviews for Nationwide as there are for every company in the world. You can't please everybody, it's impossible. But if you just want ins that'll back you up, pay when it's your fault, not overcharge so that the big dog at top can get his 20 mill bonus every year, check out these guys. Why I wrote this review on this Saturday morning is because I just got an e-mail with the temp ins cards from a car I had them switch ins onto from one I sold the other day. It just got me thinking about how good these people have been the past 4 or 5 years. So I thought I'd look for somewhere to write a good review for them. I found this site. So I didn't plan this and I definitely don't work for any part of the company (if I did I'm sure this review would've been a lot more professional or less drawn out!) OH, and I learned one more thing, it pays to be with the same company for a long period of time as well.

You can tell in the way they treat you, the lower or better priced deals you get, and the getting to know them so you can know what to do most of the time to benefit you and your family. I've gotten my sister, girlfriend, other friends, and anyone else who ever asks for whatever reason to call Nationwide and they all end up getting them for their ins carrier. I got homeowners now, multi car, and a trailer I own out in the country with them now. I am sorry this review was so long if you're still reading it. But take it from me, this place called Nationwide is more than just legitimate, they're GOOD! (if not GREAT!) Good luck with what you're trying to accomplish.

I have been with Nationwide for almost 24 years and never shopped around. I am getting divorced and the soon to be ex left Nationwide. I got a letter yesterday saying they are not renewing my policy in June and they are canceling my policy. Why? I did not provide proof that the soon to be ex has insurance because I did not put him on the policy. I got my own policy last June and he cancelled ours. We live in different towns!! I called and they said, "I guess the letter could have been reworded." I said, "How do you reword cancelled???" They never wrote or called to ask why I had my own policy, just sent a nasty letter after 24 years!!!

I hope lots of people read this post. Filed a claim against a policyholder with Nationwide Insurance. The claim was denied, and the stupid reason I was told that since their insurer vehicle did not show damage. The claim was denied. There are witnesses to the accident but the adjuster named Erin ** denied it saying their policyholder vehicle didn't show damage because the tire caused the damage. Well if the tire caused the damage to my car why would there be damage on their policyholder vehicle?!!

Just because your policyholder vehicle did not get damaged is not a valid reason for paying this claim. But according to Nationwide who is NOT, I repeat NOT on your side this is a legitimate reason to deny the claim. Then she move to another reason for denying the claim saying the tire that hit my car did not show damage, well it rained several days before this smart adjuster looked at their policyholder vehicle so that is not a valid reason either.

If you have Nationwide care insurance I really feel your pain, seems to me the name of the game is to not pay valid claims. I have contacted the public relations department and I have read many, many complaints about this insurance company not paying valid claims. I will not give up! This is insane! and I will take it to the next steps if needed. Like say calling Six on Your Side here in Columbus where your headquarters are located and other actions if necessary. I get tired of being cheated by large corporations!!!! This is one reason the rich stay rich and the poor gets poorer!

Have had our car sitting in the repair shop for almost a month for an accident that was ANOTHER Nationwide policy holder's fault while, as we were told "Nationwide is waiting for the police report". Just yesterday a Nationwide adjuster tells me I should have filed a claim against my policy (when it was NOT our fault??), and "why did you abandon your vehicle at the repair shop instead of letting us know so we could assess the damage?" WHAT kind of idiotic, absurd statement is that, since we called our Nationwide agent the same day of the accident, and within about a day HE had it towed to a garage THEY recommended?

The adjuster claimed not to know anything about the collision repair center, but after calling the garage, I came to find out the garage repeatedly in the past few weeks contacted Nationwide adjusters, who kept saying, "not OUR liability". In other words, they wanted to blame me for NOT paying a $1000 deductible on my policy for someone else's carelessness, tried to saddle me with a blame of "not informing them", but HAD been contacted, but scattered away from their responsibility like cockroaches.

So, nothing has changed with my vehicles or driving record. However, my insurance rate is climbing and climbing and climbing. I have had this insurance with this company for 15 years. So, I called. What Nationwide had to tell me was that my rate was rising based on the driving records of others in my area and increased accidents and thefts. So, I did some research. Of course, I can't view other people's driving records, but since I live in a rural area, I checked out the other two. Both accidents and thefts are down and have been decreasing for the past several years.

So, my guess is that the actuary who is creating my rate has no idea where I am. Either way, the $1368 a year increase over the last 4 years finally tipped the scale. Loyalty can only last so long. By the way, we are claim free for 15 years. So they have just been collecting premiums for 15 years! That's a long time to be collecting money and doing nothing but jacking rates. Pretty disappointing.

I was a Nationwide customer for 12 years. 6 months ago I moved across the country. At that point I needed to update my policies. Auto motorcycle, drop homeowners and pick up renters insurance. Swapping over seemed simple, I set up auto pay and no account info had changed. 2 months later I called Nationwide to help me get my keys and wallet from inside my locked car. At that point they let me know that my policies had been canceled due to nonpayment, which infuriated me because of their clear difficulty finding my account. Picture me standing in the rain staring in the window at all of my information. I spoke to 5 different representatives that evening, each insisting I pay a bill before they would help me, refusing to understand that every bit of information was locked inside the car. Realizing Nationwide would not help me I demanded the representative cancel all accounts. And I called AAA, with whom I had no membership with.

Nationwide never called or followed up. Instead they sent me a bill for $42 and absolutely no explanation why I was being charged. I figured I'd wait to hear from them before I would address this charge (I gave them all the information to auto pay) but their silence turned into collections notices. And not just from one agency, I am now being chased by 2 different agencies CEP, and CCS each claiming I owe them approximately $300 and both promising to report this to ruin my credit.

I am reaching out for advice, I am afraid to confront the collections agencies for fear of harassment. And on the other hand Nationwide has absolutely no reason to entertain my situation, clearly because they sold the problem away. Nationwide was not on my side.

Have been with Nationwide on my car ins since 2001. Backed in gf car no cops or anything in NC 3 points 4 grand damage little dent but broke computer and backup camera. So my full coverage no ded on an '08 Cobalt. Went from 98 to 194 so I took full coverage off lowered to just liability for 84 a month. Six months go by they had a small price increase. Mine went to 114. That's like 40% increase. I called. They asked to look into it. She called back next week and said, "I can lower 3 dollars." I was like, "No. I understand you upped prices but clean record minus the 3 ins pts, no tickets, nothing. Been hit 2 times not my fault but have that on video (dash cam) and they paid."

So I canceled and went to Geico for 75.25 a month. After 2 months I get a bill from Nationwide for 184 and called and threatened I didn't cancel. At this point I quit being nice and was like, "Listen, you stupid **. I told that lady I would get another insurer. Don't think I can be more clear. Tell me why it went up so high or go to hell. LOL. I am not paying." I hung up and am awaiting the next time they send me a bill. I will go down and file a lawsuit for harassment or something. I highly going recommend going somewhere else. After 15 plus yrs never late I don't deserve an answer apparently.

If I could, I will give 0 rating with this company. I had a car accident and I claimed for it. They always want to pay as less as possible. They even don't give my total lost car value. And they told me that they will give me personal car rental amount but at the end they told me that they never promised to give me. It was really hard to deal with to get my rental amount. However, I am the person who know my rights, so I provide as much as evidence so they being for to provide that amount. That's why I don't recommend to buy the insurance from this company. They are such a liar and scam. Hard time to deal. One of the worker even don't listen to the customer, he just want me to listen him and not let me talk. Aware of it guys.

Decided to use Nationwide for my car insurance needs. Was quoted a rate which was increased twice in the first billing cycle. Decided to use another carrier. Surprise they sent me to collections. I have changed carriers in the past and never been sent to collections. Unfair business practices. Was not contacted before being sent to collections. Has a policy with a different company for the coverage dates listed by Nationwide. Would have worked the billing out if contacted. I would rate Nationwide a negative rating. There's to some great Car Insurance Companies who are eager to give the consumer great customer service and coverage. Please take note Nationwide.

I had an issue with a policy I canceled. I called the toll free number, and a fine representative named Joseph helped me. I explained my situation to him my problem, which was quite lengthy, and he resolved my problem very professionally. He made follow up calls to me, several times, to keep me informed on the progress. I do not know Joseph's last name, but I feel that he is an asset to your company by going above and beyond in helping me. This man deserves to be rewarded for his exceptional customer service, friendly attitude, follow through, and for doing an outstanding job for your company. Feel free to contact me by phone and I can give you more information. Joseph deserves to be rewarded.

Nationwide completely sucks!!!! I switched my auto policy over from Allstate (big mistake). To make a long story short, my husband doesn't have a driver's license (I'm the ONLY driver of my vehicle) and when I switched over from Allstate, the representatives asked me about my husband and I explained to him that my husband doesn't have a driver license nor does he drive (hard to believe but very TRUE). The sales rep said, "No problem... It shouldn't be a problem," and I signed up (lies).

3 months into the policy I received a letter in the mail on 2/3 stating that my policy would be canceled on 2/8th if I didn't provide the proper reason as to why my husband wasn't listed on the policy. I explained OVER and OVER again that he doesn't have a DRIVER'S License (idiots) and every time I called someone was suppose to call me back but never did. My policy was canceled (without a phone call from the mgr as requested) and now my auto insurance quotes are through the roof!!! I can go on and on but THANKS A LOT Nationwide!!! My family will be switching to GEICO!! It's more expensive but it's worth it! I will copy and paste this post all over social media because it WRONG!!

Overcharging especially when it was them who made the mistake and it looks like they did it intentionally to overcharge. They figured I was a rookie and this is my first car. I'm changing insurance company over their **. Scamming insurance company. I advise the world don't use this company. Not a fake review. Bad experience with this company over $15.

I would give this company a 0 out of 5 stars if I could and that would be generous. First off, they approved me for insurance and then canceled me two weeks later (they canceled me because my mentally challenged uncle gets his mail delivered to our house so we can monitor his bills. He has a bad driving record and even though we told them that he DOES NOT live here, they decided to cancel me anyways).

After canceling me over a dispute about whether my uncle lived with us or not (again, he does not), they proceeded to send me to collections after NEVER sending me my final bill. Dealing with this company has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I wouldn't recommend Nationwide to my worst enemy on my worst day. They are HORRIBLE!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.
  • AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.
  • Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.
  • Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.
  • Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Compare Auto Insurance