Call toll free
3.09/5
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

941 Nationwide Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Slow on processing claims. Nationwide took 5 months to provide a service to me as a customer to get a small $4000.00 med pay. Never has anyone taken this much time to provide an excellent customer with the benefits that they have already paid for and earned.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Claims agents will follow the policy to the letter, which is fine for most cases but leaves little room for flexibility in resolving issues. In my case when I got a flat, I found a way that lets me expense them much less and gets me home faster, but ended up paying out of pocket as my solution was not specifically spelled out in the policy.

I qualified for trip interruption insurance under the Auto Insurance Plus package when I got a flat coming down from Yosemite. This means I'm covered for transport, meals, and lodging until I get home. I needed to get the tire replaced as I had one of those cars that only does run-flats (meaning no spare), but they were on order for 24 hours from all the tire shops in Merced.

After discussing the issue with the agent at the emergency hotline, I ended up buying a cheap tire to get me home to Redwood City on the same day (and then got the right tire at my own expense after). We agreed this made more sense for both parties - it cost much less than a hotel + Ubers would have cost, plus it gets me home quicker. However, when the case was passed on to the claims agent afterward, the reimbursement for the tire was rejected as it didn't fall under 'temporary transport' but rather as parts. Weirdly though, they said they would have reimbursed me had I stayed another night to wait for the tire, which would have caused them much more and me missing another day at work.

I understand the letter of the law and how it's meant to prevent abuse. In this particular case though, I clearly kept Nationwide's best interest in mind throughout, and it's disappointing that I'm effectively being penalized for saving them money. For a customer like me who looks for the most effective and efficient ways of solving problems, this was a big slap in the face.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Nationwide doesn't care about their customers. I saw online my balance was $115 and my premium left was $115. So when they took their payment, premium and balance were $0 but my renew wasn't until July. I called on May 14th to find out why. They said because I used SmartRide my premium went down. She said no payment due until July.

So it's now June 08 and I look at my statement, it says I owe a balance. I called to file a complaint. They got back to me saying that they apologize but the lady didn't tell me the right information. We all have a budget that we must stick to. My wife and I do every month. So when Nationwide told we didn't have any payment in June, we were happy. We had a little extra money to spend. Now look, we are under undue hardship thanks to Nationwide. They don't care. They said if we don't pay it within a few days when it's due, they will charge us an additional $10 late fee. They might be cheaper, but cheaper isn't always better. They should pay that $115, but we all know they won't. So basically, they can lie to customers and get away with it. Nice company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Insured admitted auto liability and Nationwide admitted insured's liability yet the Claims Associate, John **, requested that I file a claims with my insured. He asserted liability coverage yet all estimates are well below coverage amounts. No follow up phone call from Diane **. Very poor management of admitted liability. Complaints on Yelp, etc. social media will continue until resolved.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My son had two accidents one of which was under accident forgiveness. Well I just got letter today of non renewal. I am speechless. We're to talking about tens of thousands of dollars. We're talking 13000. Almost every member of my family uses Nationwide but I can promise you this. This is your notice of non renewal for 11 of my family members. On my side lol ok.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: May 25, 2018

Nationwide Insurance is a reputable company with good overall ratings. Pricing for policy was less than Travelers, State Farm and Allstate for comparable coverage. The agent suggested various coverage options and amounts, which I didn't have on prior policies through other carriers. These suggestions were very helpful.

Original review: May 25, 2018

When I lost my job Nationwide Insurance listened and worked with me so I didn't lose my insurance, also gave me a very good quote. Additionally, they are very helpful when I have questions or problems.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Nationwide Insurance came through, but it wasn't without persistence, effort, or hassle. I bought the 'aftermarket' bumper to bumper warranty at the time of purchase. The truck, a decked out custom Ford F350, had a pile of aftermarket add ons already installed when purchased. A PacBrake Exhaust Brake, Banks Dynafast kit, Edge on-board computer, extra turbos, and airbags. The truck was built to tow heavy weights, and was initially awesome.

However, it started having transmission issues. Nationwide attempted to deny the claims, stating 'aftermarket goods' (which were there when I bought the warranty & insurance policy... and they were questioned BEFORE the purchase to make sure they were covered). Once I proved that, they covered it... but it wasn't quick or easy. Next problem, rather than installing a new transmission they did a rebuild. A few months later that failed, and the problem started again. And, again, after a bit of a fight, they covered it... with another rebuild.

While they 'stood up' and dealt with things, I had to be very persistent and have all the documentation to prove 'my case.' 4 rebuilds later, they finally put in a new transmission... which solved the problem. The truck is still running today (6 years later). Had they done that the first time, the problems would have been easier and better. Had they not fought me each time, my opinion of them would have been better. So I would consider them again, ONLY IF I HAD EVERYTHING IN WRITING, or it was a 100% stock vehicle.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have tried to get my ex wife's name removed from my policy since day one, only to be given the runaround. Wasn't even married to her when I got the current policy, yet they won't remove her name unless she calls them to do it. I cannot locate her nor do I want to.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Overall Nationwide is a great company to work with. If you never have an accident or an insurance claim then the premiums may be too much to pay for your needs but if you have had anything to happen to your vehicle or property or just want the peace of mind if anything does ever happen then those higher premiums are worth the money spent. You can expect the service to be what you have paid higher premiums for. My wife had hit a deer while driving and then called Nationwide to file the claim. The experience was fairly simple and quick. We was able to take our vehicle and get the estimate from a collision expert of our choosing and after the check had came in the mail we had it fixed to our liking.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Nationwide has been accepting premiums for me for 3 years for a vehicle that had a salvage title. I have been paying for full coverage on this vehicle. The car was totaled on 05/13/2018. They are now offering me $500.00 for a 2008 Pontiac G6 due to the fact that it has a salvage title. I call the support line and the one lady informs me, "We do not cover salvage autos for anything but liability." I respond, "Well you have been for the past three years." She says I should be refunded this... she checks with underwriting and they say no; not going to happen.

Do not trust anything anyone from this company. Tries to blow up your hiney... they are deceitful and will not be on your side if you are trying to get a legitimate claim handled. Even if you have to pay more monthly trust me your peace of mind is worth it. I have paid for collision and comprehensive so that I could be in a position to get into another vehicle. The rightful amount of the claim should be between 2300-2500 and they want to pay out 500. They want and will have their cake and eat it too.

I do not even know what recourse to take but I cannot even put down on a moped with what they are offering after taking full premiums from me on this vehicle. Honestly run run run... regardless of their happy little commercial the only side they are on is the devils'. Just a greedy heartless conglomerate that will only ever act to their own benefit. The client means nothing to them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Nationwide, for me, is the best of the apples I have to choose from. I had a minor low speed auto accident in San Fransico, with a young lady that seemed shady. She seemed determined it was my fault. Later, I found out she was suing for damages. I protested to my insurance carrier, repeatedly. With a little investigation, Nationwide found out she had prior history of falsifying damages and declined to cooperate further with her. They truly were on my side. Also, each time I have had to call, their customer service was great. However, I do believe I am overcharged for my auto insurance. The auto insurance industry is filled with bad actors. I am careful and responsible and do not believe my rates should be this high, but I know I have to pay for the crooks and people without insurance.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I really liked the service of Nationwide over Farmers, State Farm or Allstate. The others never responded to home claims regarding weather. Nationwide did not question weather damage. Nationwide phone services were great and all my phone contacts have been very professional and responsive however the claims adjustor was extremely slow in responding. I had to make numerous calls and finally contacted his supervisor.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Nationwide Insurance values their customers. I had an accident with a deer and it totaled my truck. They called to see if I was alright. And they took me through every steps they took to make the decision about my truck. They answered every question too. They also gave me time to make decisions on my truck to take the money offer or to buy it back from them. Plus, they had several people call me to help me make a decision. They also kept me updated at all times, very helpful. They also called when they said they would. I love the outcome of my experience with them.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I had a terrible experience when someone hit me while I was in the passenger seat with my three kids in the back. The man had the audacity to lie and say I hit him. Many hours were dedicated to proving that he was at fault. I felt like I was fighting my insurance as still as his (AAA). There were two claims adjusters who were awful and made no effort to find out the truth. They wanted to settle 50-50 because it was a he said she said situation. I fought and fought with the entry level claims people and demanded that out get escalated to a supervisor. I even had a voicemail where he admitted fault. That was not enough. My insurance was still saying I had time pay my deductible despite my kids being witnesses, the voicemail, and I called his insurance but they claimed they didn't have that taped conversion. My insurance made no effort to get to the truth. I refused to accept their funding.

It wasn't until I added a medical claim because my breech hurt from the whiplash that it went to a claims adjuster that was more experienced and had more authority. Needless to say, the burden of proof was on me which is ridiculous in my opinion. Finally, I was able to get video after requesting it from Kaiser security numerous times. I was told by three security staff that they didn't see anything. It wasn't until my husband went in person that a helpful security guard actually took the time to review the fishes and see what really happened. At that point, the jerk who hit us was found 100% at fault. Nationwide should have done more to represent me but I had to fyi all the work. What kind of insurance fired that? Lazy, incompetent, and entry level staff were handling my claim and did manhunt to hello me. Disgusting if you ask me.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very high rates and they are constantly going up. They don't provide any real price breaks considering my husband and I have had no accidents and I'm 67 yrs old and he's 59. I'm retired so my car Sits out front all but to run a FEW errands. We are continuing to research other companies. It may take a while but I'm confident we'll find the same coverage for less.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My experience with Nationwide was average and unremarkable for the most part. I also don't feel like my experience with them was very individualized or personable. I have had other insurance companies that knew me very well, despite just being a customer. But the features I like most about Nationwide are its low and competitive cost. At the time I purchased it it was a good deal.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Very disappointed with the second half of my care with Nationwide. When I was first in the accident, they were helpful on that day, but from then forward everything was a mess. I sent my car with the tow person expecting to have it fixed and get it back. They decided the car was totaled and sent me my things in a box, however they left out the one thing I most wanted from the car and requested multiple times. They said I could go to the car myself to get my belongings but I don't have the time to go way out of my way to pick up things that are plain as day and they could send to me (plus I gave them instructions on where these items were). Then they pulled my rental vehicle even though I hadn't found a replacement car yet.

I understand I can't use a rental car for months on end but I barely had enough time to begin looking for a new one. Once all of that was sorted, they evaluated my car and took out my deductible from their evaluated price. Now, this accident was 100% not my fault and I had heard so from the people I talked to at Nationwide. But after paying off the rest of the loan on the car, I was left with barely enough money to put down a minimum payment on a replacement vehicle, a huge inconvenience to me considering the amount of money I had to pay to have this insurance to begin with. I was told that the deductible would need to be collected from the person who hit me and to call back in a month or so to get in update.

Then I was told that I may never get my deductible back and that he didn't understand what the note in the file meant and to call back in a few months to see where things were headed. Well I did that. Now the claim has been moved to a different person, who I called with no answer. I left a voicemail and still no response. This is unacceptable. I have many other payments, especially with my student loans about to begin repayment, and I strict budget I follow. I expected to be covered by insurance since that is what it is there for. Don't use nationwide. They will be as helpful as they have to be to be a reasonable human being doing their job but when it comes to truly helping you beyond anything that helps them, you're SOL.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Nationwide as a company is predatory and discriminates. I had a terrible experience with them and did not like any features of the company or the policy. But purchasing the policy was easy and I did it online. Then an agent called to go over the details. But after purchasing a homeowners policy with Nationwide (I had had Auto and renters policies for years without filing a claim) they sent a notice that arrived as a major ice storm was starting that stated they were canceling our policy for no reason. But one positive aspect would have been that they have an office very close to my house, however the agents that work there are terrible.

Original review: May 15, 2018

They are literally always on my side. I can call any time I have trouble or an accident and get an agent to come help me no matter the time. I like being able to talk to someone too about my policy and changes that may occur. They have been an overall great fit for me so far. But I don't understand why they need to raise the price of our policy during certain months. Even after you get over a certain age they will still raise and it should be going down. And even if you haven't had a wreck they still raise it. It just makes no sense to me. But overall I have a had a great experience with this company. It was my first policy by myself straight out of college and trying to work and support myself and they really helped me to find something that would work great for me and that is not super expensive. I have recommended this company to several people my age that they could get better car insurance.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I like that it is a Nationwide company and my purchase was easy but. I have friends who work here so I am glad that they have a job because of my premiums. Nationwide is on your side! The jingle is a little catchy but I dislike their marketing jingles because they get stuck in my head.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My policy renewed on January 1st. They upped my rate by 10% no big deal. In May they told me that I owe them over $400 because my rate increased January 1st by 60% but they made a mistake and only charged me 10% extra. I had never filed any homeowner's or car claims. They said I owed them for the backdated payments. This is dirty business. Never do business with this company.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I mainly look for coverage/insurance policy amount due. I hate that because I'm still under the age of 25. I'm so called 'not experienced'. I hate you Nationwide and I didn't really like anything about this company! I would like for there to be an equal opportunity that when you get in an accident and you're still not at fault you end up coming up in 1% negative qualification and you basically still have to pay for insurance deductibles etc. And this company doesn't help when you dispute claims or have other issues with people hitting your vehicle and it not be your fault. I finally got 2 vehicle incidents off my record and I never once got a reduced or lower bill and they did not help me whatsoever! I will never return to this company ever again! Absolutely ridiculous paying for 3 years of insurance with this company and they did nothing! Definitely doesn't help when you're new policyholders and it feels like they're just using and taking your money!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased it online because I do not dealing with people on telephone! Like to have my policy online where I can view it and pay premium. I originally purchased it because premium was good fit but it no longer is! I live on a very tight budget and can't handle the increased monthly premium. I do not appreciate the fact they are attempting to break me. I drive very little and have had no claims. They continuously increase the premium monthly for absolutely no reason!!! Really not happy with insurance. Nationwide will rip you off! I will definitely be looking for a new carrier!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

After the Hurricane Irma that went through here in September my insurance agent called me a few days later to check on me and my family and ask me at that time if he thought that I may needed to file a claim. If I did he would be there the next morning to do it for me. I like that if I need them anytime day or night that I get to talk to a real person not a machine. That is a one of the most annoying things that I deal with from other companies around like Allstate.

Original review: May 10, 2018

It was fast, easy and convenient. The people are friendly too. They have worked with me through several changes to my policy and are always eager and happy to help. The only thing that I would change is the convenience fee that is charged on the website when paying my bill online.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I like Nationwide insurance because they are cheaper and more satisfying than other insurance companies. They satisfy my needs overall and make me feel like an individual. But I would improve the customer service due to claims. It is very hard to get something accomplished and even harder to get a hold of anyone to make things happen when it needs to happen fast. Also, the insurance doesn't cover everything you would expect insurance to cover. But the overall experience is very good due to price and if you never have to make a claim.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Used Nationwide because they had my homeowner's policy. Left for a couple of years and tried some other companies, after those companies continue to increase premiums, I went back to Nationwide. I like that they offer me a discount on the homeowners policy in addition to the auto policy. The automatic draft is also convenient. But rate increases too often.

Original review: May 7, 2018

This agency has consistently reported INCORRECT info my wife's and my LexisNexis clue report and driving record. Mixing up our info and putting several ACCIDENTS on my wife's reports for cars that SHE does not own nor was involved in. Attempts to reach out to them to correct these have gone UNANSWERED. Typical insurance company. They take your money and leave you hanging whenever possible.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My process for choosing car insurance is simple. Whoever has the lowest price that's who I go with. Why would somebody pay for insurance for a car that they do not have? It makes no sense whatsoever. I picked Nationwide because could afford it at the time. I think it's terrible you get penalized if you do not have a car for 3 months. When I went to get insurance reinstated it tripled the amount that I normally paid. I have a clean driving record and should not be penalized for not having a car. A 52 year old woman, should not have to pay $68/month for car insurance. I will never understand the point of paying insurance for car that I do not have because that's what they want you to do. Not just this company, but all insurance companies.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, Nationwide Insurance is one of America's most popular car insurance companies. The company offers a full range of insurance options -- from farm insurance to motorcycle insurance.

• Written guarantee: Nationwide operates with a written guarantee for all repairs, so car owners after an accident know how much they will be paying and for what.

• AutoWatch: The company has a program called AutoWatch, where customers can log in and see the progress of damaged car repairs and actually watch it being worked on while it is in the shop.

• Vanishing deductible: Nationwide also offers a Vanishing Deductible program, which reduces the amount of the deductible over time if a driver keeps a good driving record.

• Free quotes: The company offers car owners free, no-obligation quotes, so they can wait to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services.

• Multipolicy discount: If customers have multiple policies with Nationwide, they will receive a discount on their auto insurance policy.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car and drivers who also own homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky