3.4/5 (2420 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide provides auto insurance for drivers across the country. It’s a mutual insurance company entirely owned by its policyholders, so it has the ability to focus on clients without having to cater to investors. Nationwide offers basic, standard and premium coverages and a range of add-ons and discounts.

Pros

• Customizable policies
  • Highly rated customer service
  • Many discount options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Expensive policies

Bottom Line

Nationwide is an auto insurance provider with highly customizable coverage options, a well-established reputation and agents throughout the country. It’s not available in all states, though, and its policies can be pricey.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance - Auto?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Nationwide is very deceitful! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's $18 million in punitive damages in 2014. They gave me hard times and won’t communicate even though it is their mistake and they ADMITTED it is their mistake. I changed my home insurance to join them ONLY BASED on a credit that I was told I will get on my car insurance that never materialized (gave me a price then the bill later showed something else) and it is all recorded.

21 Sep 2020 I called Nationwide, got a quote from Tiffany for adding home insurance to my current car insurance with them. She said I will be getting a credit on my car insurance and pay $76.32 for the next 6 months instead of what I am currently paying now for my car insurance and I will see that updated on the website within 24 hrs. 24 Sep 2020 I received my car insurance statement via email for the next 6 months and it indicated I will pay $80.12 next month (October) then $84.76 for subsequent bills. Same day I called them and they transferred me to Kyle in Recording Departments to help verify the recording. He said he will call me next day.

25 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called him, he said he has the recording but he can’t find exactly anything about the $76.32 I was promised to pay. He said he will listen again and call me on Monday 28 Sep 2020. 28 Sep 2020 Kyle didn’t call so I called asking to talk to him. They said he is out for the day and won’t be back until 30 Sep 2020 so I told them I found the recording on my phone and found out that Tiffany said $76.32 at the 12th min of the recording that lasted 35 minutes. I asked to escalate the matter. They did and promised someone from Escalation Department will give me a call next day.

29 Sep 2020 Eddie (Eduardo) from Escalation Department left a voicemail in the morning asking me to give him a call back. I called him back 3 times in which I had to leave three voicemails because he didn’t answer. Same evening, I called 4th time and asked to talk to Escalation Department (not necessarily Eddie) so the agent Jenny asked me to hold, then after a few minutes said they will not talk to me and they reviewed the recording and they found it is an agent error and that the price I was told was only an estimate. So I asked Jenny to let me talk to someone in Escalation Department because if that was an agent error then they need to honor it and if it was just an estimate, then why Tiffani (the licensed agent) asked me to check the website in 24 hours and that the new car insurance fee will be showing.

Bad customer service. Made me explain my case several times and didn't help me. Claimed they can't verify what I was told until I said, "I have it recorded and I can send you the recording" which forced them to admit that what I was told took place. Even when they admitted it is their agent mistake they won’t do the right thing. I hope these people pay the price 10,000 times more.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a uninsured driver. My car had been in the shop now over 45 days because parts was hard to get due to Cov-19 back ordering. You would think they would be "on your side" and extended the rental car but no. I'm left holding the remaining balance after 30 days. 9 yrs of on-time payments even when I sick with Cov-19. Never missed one payment. Never asked for financial help. But now I have to pay the deductible and the extra rental car payment till my car is repaired. I could see if it was a fault of my own but I wasn't.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

We've been with Nationwide for over 20 years. They have answered all of our questions and handled various claims quickly and without problems. Our local agent's office always answers or returns our call within a short time, and they're always pleasant. We trust Nationwide. They also provide discounts for belonging to a credit union. We have never been sorry that we keep Nationwide being sure that we are getting good rates and good coverage.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really liked the fact that Nationwide offered (accident forgiveness & identity theft insurance) on my auto insurance!!! Less worries! I am a victim of identity theft and this day and time you can never be careful enough.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Customer service reps are very informative and helpful. The coverage is pretty standard nothing that would make it stand out against the rest. Discounts are applied quarterly if you have no accidents or tickets in the timeframe. They offer SmartRide which is tracked by an app on your mobile device. Your driving history is tracked for 3 months and if at the end of the 3 months you have no accidents and are driving “safe” a discount is applied. The amount of the discount depends on the information collected from your driving history. I have had coverage with Nationwide for almost 2 yrs now and overall I would say that they are a pretty good company.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Simply seeking SOME communication/clarification from "seller" agent H. ** but after NUMEROUS call on "hold" or disconnected learner she does not, "speak to customers"! WELL,...EXCUSE ME,.. I accepted your sales letter as TRUTH; how naive of me!

Original review: June 28, 2020

Since May 12th I have been given incorrect billing, can never speak to the same agent, conflicting info about policy, then get a letter my policy is canceled! Don't even waste your time - you could end up uninsured without knowing!

Original review: June 18, 2020

After receiving a quoted price on the phone with an agent I purchased insurance paying for a one year policy in full. Two weeks later I received an additional bill for the same policy. After a week of back and forth I finally got to talk to someone and their statement was that my price was raised due to a question on my credit report in spite of a 793 credit score. I cancelled my policy immediately and will not do business with this company again.

Original review: June 3, 2020

Getting my policy to go into effect from an online or verbal quote was difficult. Nationwide did not want to honor a quote that they provided to me. They tried to give me a policy at a higher cost than I was quoted. Cancelled my policy due to an incorrect credit/debit card number provided for billing through automatic payment. Never took the responsibility to call me or send correspondence to tell me there was an issue with my credit card. They just cancelled my policy.

Nationwide provided a unfair claim/arbitration decision based on a false police report created by the police department. They recovered their damages but not my deductible or out of pocket expenses for the damage to my vehicle which was caused by the other driver. Their arbitration panel ruled that the other party was not responsible for the damage to my vehicle as the other party hit my car while parked in a valid parking space.

Original review: May 27, 2020

To preface this review, I've been with Nationwide for over 15 years without filing a claim. I pay my bill 6 months ahead of time and I've never missed a payment. A few months ago Nationwide unexpectedly added an additional driver to my account. This more than doubled my premium, and I e-mailed and asked them to remove it. I got a bill the next month for the incorrect amount so I went online and changed my account. I paid the new amount and then didn't hear back from them until 4 months later when I got a letter that said my insurance had been cancelled.

I immediately called in and they required me to pay the amount that the extra driver cost for the period they had them on my account. This was $160. A week later the MVA sent me a letter that I was being fined $150 for not having insurance for the few days it took Nationwide's letter to get to me. I received ZERO notification that I was behind on payments...

Nationwide ignored numerous e-mails from me trying to deal with this, and the two associates on the phone refused to help in any way. After I told them I'd have to change insurance providers since they were costing me $310 all they could do was tell me they were sorry I felt that way. So to sum this up. Nationwide ignores e-mails, refuses to help customers when Nationwide makes errors, stole $160 from me, and cost me an additional $150.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I am furious! I have been with Nationwide for many years. I finally had to file a claim (2/20) because of damage that I incurred on my vehicle. I had no problem with them paying the claim and did expect my policy to increase a little bit. But a little bit is an understatement. My policy is up for renewal on 05/16/20. My policy actually "DOUBLED". The policy went from $679.00 every six months to $1210.00 every six month.

Thinking this has got to be a mistake, I called them. They informed me that there was a slight increase in the policy and a surcharge for the claim that I filed. Why am I being charged a surcharge when I paid a $500 deductible. I asked what was the surcharge amount and was told that he didn't have a percentage of the amount for the surcharge. I told the gentlemen that this is price gouging. They are claiming to be giving their customers back $50.00 to help with the COVID-19 expense but they are turning around and adding more to your policies. I also informed him that I will be cancelling my policy and looking elsewhere. This is ridiculous for Nationwide to take advantage of customers like this. I would advise anyone to stay away from Nationwide unless you never plan to file a claim even if the need arise. Furious!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

After unsuccessful dealing with Nationwide auto insurance for three weeks. I made a call to Geico. In two minutes Geico did what Nationwide could not do in three weeks. Caliber Collision and Nationwide Insurance are two peas in a pod. Thank you Geico and Gerber Collision and Glass.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After 10 yrs of being a loyal customer. Having 2 policies, car and renters insurance. They are screwing me over. I got into my first accident, after paying for a car for a yr and 3 months. The car is fixable says the autobody shop. Nationwide deemed it a total loss. They refuse to sell it to my stepdad as a salvage. And While I have not signed a damn thing, seem to have already sold it to the wrecking yard. And they are now harassing me over picking it up. It will cost more to pay off my loan, than to fix my car. I have a disabled daughter and need my car. When this is all over, I'm canceling all policies. Don't waste your time or money. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I recently got into a car accident and it was the other driver's fault but Nationwide did not provide anything. My rear end of my car is ruined and nationwide does not want to do anything about it. Do not go with this company if you want good insurance. I’ve been loyal to nationwide for 11 years and this is what I get in return. WORST INSURANCE EVER!!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

My check engine light came on while traveling. Contacted my Nationwide road side assistance for a tow. I received a text confirmation stating a tow was in route. My repair facility was emailed my vehicle was in route as well. The following morning I was notified by the police my vehicle has been stripped. Tires, wheels and misc items gone. Zero follow up with Nationwide. All status updates had to be initiated by myself. I was told the Deductible would be waived due to their mistake. 46 days later after an investigation they stated they can’t waive the deductible or pay what the car is worth.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have paid top dollar to Nationwide for decades. They are a complete scam. No matter what it takes they will avoid paying a claim they don’t even argue is legitimate. No matter how valid the claim they will lie, distort, bully, and do whatever necessary to not pay the claim. I have had an accident where I was stopped at a light and a woman slammed into me without looking up from her cellphone. Five years later, I got NOTHING from my 1.3 million dollar underinsured motorist coverage from nationwide. They lied, cheated, scammed and spent three times in attorney's fees what the claim would have paid. Run do not walk to any other company. They will not honor your contract. They know it will cost you more to fight and you will lose. Do not give these criminals your money. You will regret it I promise.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have had my insurance through Nationwide for 30 years. One speeding ticket and thankfully never an auto accident so they've actually made lots of money off of me! My rates were really good for my one automobile. I got a second automobile and because they were adding that on because my credit is not perfect They upped my rates! Not for 1 second taking into consideration that for 30 years I've never missed a payment with my insurance! So I will now be looking for other insurance how unfair! There's no such thing as customer service in the world anymore and that's just terrible.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Rates were good - went through a broker. I hit a bush - bumper got dislodged - nothing urgent. When I went to get assistance - that's when things took over 2 weeks to resolve through broker. Old technology (DOS) and my agent couldn't log into their system regularly. Billing issues were an issue as well - I truly got lost (2 cars, 1 home and business insurance). I'll be making a switch. Luckily I wasn't having an emergency. I can only imagine if I was.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

On Thanksgiving day our vehicle was hit while sitting in front of our house. It happened about 3 a.m. It was 11 a.m. before we noticed a card on the window and the vehicle had been hit from behind. It was hit so hard, the ash tray popped. The impact was so great, that it moved the truck 5 ft forward nearly hitting my wife's car which was parked in front of the house also. We immediately contacted our insurance company, we got in touch with his insurance company, they immediately tried to be as friendly as possible in trying to help resolve this situation. Over numerous times after the 26 of November, we have yet to have a conversation with the agent, as she was always away from her desk or not answering her calls or returning ours. We have tried to also reach her via email to no avail. As of today, we have yet to get this situation resolved and to have our automobile repaired.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My BMW was damaged front and back when a Nationwide client plowed his Dodge Ram into my car and pushed me into the Toyota in front of me. He took full responsibility. Nationwide immediately arranged a rental car for me and offered me money to close the Liability-Bodily Injury claim. I had not requested any money for injuries. One agent was being unusually kind to me while two Nationwide adjusters decided to total my car. I communicated with the BMW Body shop manager and learned my car could be repaired under the state threshold. The Nationwide adjusters knew this. I was offered a paltry settlement and pressured to total my car. I finally contacted my insurance agent at State Farm. In two days, BMW was authorized to repair my car.

Dealing with Nationwide was extremely frustrating and very time consuming. This was a 24 day ordeal and a deductible from me. I could have claimed back and neck injuries, hired a personal injury lawyer, seen a nefarious chiropractor, and demanded thousands of dollars from nationwide. All I wanted was my car repaired. Nationwide's adjusters made the unconscionable decision to total my car and stood by it. I was fortunate to have State Farm Insurance and honest people at BMW of Mobile on my side. My car was excellently repaired. There should be a no star option.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Nearly 3 months ago, a mechanic ruined my car via a faulty oil change. The mechanic turned the issue over to Nationwide insurance and it has been the most frustrating experience I've had in a LONG time. Since the beginning, they have been disorganized and have tried to low-ball me on my compensation. They have a customer advocacy department, but even that is an absolute joke. I am finally almost settled, and even still they cannot get the proper paperwork to me. I have been without a car for months now and am pissed, to say the least! Glad I don't have Nationwide for my own insurance. They are on no one's side but their own.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Nationwide Insurance. It was the first of October, a delightful day as I drove east on I-40 late afternoon approaching Exit 18 seeing traffic bunching up in the right lane. The line of cars ahead were halted and I began slowing down. Still moving at about fifteen miles per hour, my small Mitsubishi suddenly jerked violently, ejecting the contents of the center console, throwing coins like projectiles across the car interior. The violent jolt and deafening noise left me stunned.

Realizing I had been hit from behind, I immediately steered onto the freeway shoulder, turning on the flashers, trying to gather my thoughts and understand what happened.

After a time I did the usual things in such a situation, going to the other car, verifying all were ok, exchanging information and so on. This was my first accident in over thirty years and I diligently went through the insurance company checklist pulled from the glove box. I called Nationwide, the company representing the man who struck me. The representative expressed customary regret for my misfortune then began the process to see about my car. First I needed an estimate of damages. I went to a Collision Center I frequently passed on a major street in my area. The cost to repair the damages was about nine hundred dollars, mainly replacing the rear bumper which had been dented. I left the car for repairs and I was provided a rental car from Enterprise next door. Later further damage was found to the trunk well and some connectors, but the final estimate was still only 50% of the car’s value.

After a couple days I learned from the repair shop the car had been declared a “total loss”. A curt Nationwide email announcing the “settlement” had four attached files with details of the method used to arrive at this decision. Downloading, opening and reading such files requires effort and for the moment I ignored them. Later as I questioned what was happening, I studied the documents, discovering Nationwide had contrived to make a determination of “total loss”, allowing an immediate settlement and closure of the case.

They had done this by having the collision center inflate the quote with the costs to repair minor damage from years ago, the replacement of a rear quarter panel. In other words, they ginned up repair estimates to the full cost of restoring my car to a like new, unblemished condition. The slight dent on the side panel, of course, was pre-existing and only taken into account to get the repair costs up to the “magic number” necessary to deem the car a “total loss”, the insurance company’s overbearing goal.

This best outcome for Nationwide would be the worst thing possible for me. Their “settlement” included payment for the “salvage” value of my car and I had to insist to the agent that my car was just fine, only had a wrinkled rear bumper, and I wanted to keep it. I had purchased the car brand new, kept it in the garage its entire life, and done routine maintenance myself. It was a very reliable car and although 15 years old, still like new. Ok, she said; they would deduct the salvage value from the settlement and allow me to keep it.

Now that my car had been unfairly condemned, the body shop would not touch it. Worse still, they denied me the right to come and drive it away. I was forced to have my car towed to a reputable collision center that would replace the back bumper, which turned out to be far less than the trumped up estimates Nationwide had determined in collusion with the original repair shop. Once the insurance company made a “settlement”, I heard no more from them. No one explained to me what was happening, how the “total loss” designation, Nationwide’s overbearing goal, was a disaster for me. Besides being shunned by the first collision center (partially losing ownership rights to my car), my car now classed as junk requiring a tow away, I learned the next month on reading my credit card bill I had been charged for the final week’s use of the rental car when my vehicle was still in the shop and I had no other transportation.

When first picking up the rental, the agent had asked for my credit card, saying a one dollar charge would be applied which would be refunded after return of the car. My card number was needed “for any ‘incidentals’ incurred”. After Nationwide issued the settlement check, the rental car suddenly became my expense with no notification from anyone, not Nationwide or Enterprise Car Rental. If Nationwide had promptly repaired my car, restoring it to its pre-accident condition (all I wanted), this ordeal would have been over two weeks sooner. But instead, the insurance company took a different path, a direction I consider unethical.

Donna, the Nationwide agent, single-mindedly worked in her company’s best interests while ignoring mine, stretching to brand my car a “total loss”, minimizing her company’s costs in meeting legal requirements and curtailing their responsibility. In doing so they shirked any consideration for me, the claimant, client, or whatever (victim?). In fairness to Nationwide, once all costs and expenses are considered, the settlement left me slightly ahead in real dollars, but considering the poor treatment, loss of time, stress and frustration, the insurance company still warrants an unfavorable rating. With no explanation and failure to keep me informed, I was left in the dark to face one bad surprise after another for the entire month of October in one of the most unpleasant series of events ever experienced. The Rental Car Agency and Collision Center were equally unpleasant and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I purchased an auto Insurance policy for my son and the vehicle I got for him. In the middle of the policy, my son's mom decided to get another vehicle, so I went to cancel this policy. I had removed him from the policy early way before the expiration and then cancelled it. When I called in the customer service representative said everything was fine and that I should be getting a refund of about $50, which I thought made sense.

I received a final bill from Nationwide without explanation for $52, being fairly confused and wondered about the $100 swing I called and talked to a different representative and she stated I owed. Well I was not happy of the switch in dollars and asked her to send me a breakdown of those charges so that I could ascertain how the $100 switch occurred and if I did owe the $52. Never received an account statement but did receive a letter from a collection agency. What BS Cheaters.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I would never recommend this insurance company. It SUCKS! They overcharge you and would not explain why and they charge you more than your bill if you cancelled on them. There’s better ones out there!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

First I thought Geico was bad till I experienced Nationwide Insurance. They are the worst insurance company you will have meet. One of their careless drivers caused damages to my car. It’s been two month and their unprofessional claim adjuster called Brad ** kept ignoring my calls and only got a call back from him once in two months. Yes they are that horrible. At this time I have no choice but to sue in smalls claims court. The people who write a 5 star reviews may not have claim to file yet so of course they will leave 5 stars. The only way to know if an insurance company is bad or good is when you have a claim to file. I have never seen horrible insurance company like Nationwide. Buy their useless policy at your own risk but you have been warned.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've known the staff from Nationwide for 5 years and have always had a pleasant experience- almost like family (but better) LOL, they've always gone above and beyond what ANY other company (in general) has done for me. Especially Sarah ** (Winchester, VA area) for Mark Dunford Agency, truly I am so grateful for their presence and am able to afford Full-Coverage with their rates and expertise. Thank you guys, see you 'round! :)

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have had over 40 yrs. Minor increases in rates. Never felt a need to shop around. Have had great service, response, and coverage with several large claims. Appreciate availability and personal service of local agent.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been with them for over 20 years and they have been Good to me and my family, I love love the roadside assistance. Very prompt when on beltway. There is the rental car that is covered if needed it while my car got fixed. They took great care of me and taught me a thing or five. When a young kid hit me from behind and had no, sorry showed me a fake insurance card and what that process was. I was happy to learn something new but please be careful out there. Also, I wish they had a better accident forgiveness.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I changed insurers this month because I did not get customer service that I thought I am entitled to. Would call my previous insurer and would not get a return call from the representative that I started with and I saved a couple hundred dollars with my auto & home policy. Switched from Liberty Mutual to Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Had Nationwide for almost 5 years - Gary ** in Mechanicsburg PA. I moved to Texas and notified him of it within 2 months. My rate didn’t change for 8 mos. THEN I bought a place and went online to change address... Next thing I know my rate jumps from $170. A month for my leased vehicle to $330. Without any notification! Auto pay directly from account! There should have been a phone call or email at the VERY least! I switched to another company ASAP and Nationwide had the NERVE to bill me for another $23.00! I refused and after 4 mos they turned it over to collection! What a RACKET.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Company Information