Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Nationwide Insurance - Auto
2.04/5

Nationwide Insurance - Auto

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have Nationwide over 20 years, for as long as I've been driving. Once I got married we continued with Nationwide now for an additional 10 years, with NO accidents. My husband had an accident due to someone dropping a load of tires all over the highway. We reported the accident and took our car to one of Nationwide's preferred shops. The shop star collision AKA Scott's star of Easton PA did not make repairs they told us needed to be done or complete the repairs they started. They changed the bumper but neglected to put all the clips on the bumper causing it to fall off while my husband inspected it in their parking lot. We came back the following day and the bumper still not flush to the car.

The undercarriage damage has not been fixed at all. Nationwide's preferred shop said it was all fixed. My husband's BMW has been there now 3 weeks. The mechanic they have working on it said "I hate BMW's". Why would I want someone who obviously doesn't want to do the work to touch our car. Now Nationwide is trying to tell us Star told them some damage was old? Our BMW was just overhauled brand new suspension, controller arms, shocks, oil change all new filters, and more etc... Over $6,000 worth of maintenance so WE know this is not old damage. We gladly offered to show the receipts for the work to prove Star is lying and the damage is from this accident. Yet no one wants to see this.

The oil housing under the car is completely collapsed, the oil filter is pushed in and oil is pouring out from under the car. I think someone would have noticed the oil pouring out of the car and obviously a car won't run long with all the oil leaking out like that, it's just general knowledge. Our car is now at our personal mechanic who said they Star charge Nationwide $378 dollars for one shock that only cost $70.00. They just want to make an easy quick buck and had no concern for actually fixing the car. Nationwide has allowed us to take our car to our own shop where they found all these issues. That Star did not. These 2 are partners per the claim's rep I spoke to at Nationwide, so it's nice to see Nationwide defrauding long term customer's who never had a claim before. After the current term I am switching to another insurance company, I expected better from a company I've had insurance with for over 30 years with only this ONE accident.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I just have to warn anyone who will listen, NATIONWIDE IS THE WORST INSURANCE EVER! They get you in under one price, then Every year they increase your rate. And when you call, because you’ve been a great driver never file a claim, they still increase every year, and use for the excuse, that it’s others in your area who have filed claims so the rate for the area has gone up! I say to that, STOP TRYING TO PEE ON ME AND CALLING IT RAIN! That’s RIDICULOUS! Then when you actually have to file a claim, it takes them FOREVER to pay!

I filed a claim on 7/22, and I have yet to get paid for it. (Now 8/27/19) It has been over a month. My claims adjuster went to training, his boss was on vacation, the person filling in is overwhelmed, excuse after excuse. We would never get away with those excuses if we Didn’t pay our bill. They make up rules and tell you it’s Federal law, when it is not. It’s their extreme version of the law. I say to anyone who is listening, GO TO ALLSTATE - they pay out in 2 days. Anywhere but here. You’ve been warned.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Great customer service. Fast claim service. Everything about them is 1st rate. Wouldn't even consider another insurance company as the ones I've had in the past don't even come close... Once your a customer with Nationwide you'll be a customer for life!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

After shopping around, Nationwide was quite a bit cheaper. I've had to file one claim and it was easy, they paid everything. At one time they would not write a policy because they were not doing business in California at all. But they have relaxed that.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I was on vacation WITHOUT MY CAR in Vail, CO for 5 weeks from June 27 until the afternoon of July 31, 2019. I never drove any vehicle while in Vail and the SmartRide App not only logged numerous driving trips, but also said I had hard accelerations! Apparently it collects data while walking, riding the Gondola, and anytime I rode my bicycle! When I called Nationwide to report this problem, the rep said there is nothing they can do to correct the errors and data cannot be removed once it’s recorded. She said the app is only 80% accurate and they are still working out the bugs which are obviously at the expense of the consumer (a tidbit never mentioned when signing with Nationwide).

She confirmed my current estimated discount is 31%, saying “that’s still good”! Well, it should but be a much higher discount since Nationwide is dinging me for drives and hard brake/accelerations I did not make. I’ve had a perfect driving record for 53+ years and resent the fact that my next year’s insurance rate will not be as good as it should be because false information was collected by an application with 80% accuracy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

When my husband and I got married we switched to Nationwide. They gave us the best rates. We paid our 6 month premium in full upfront. Now it's been 3ish months and we've "lost a discount" because one of our cars hit the greater than 5 year mark so they billed us for the difference. As you lose discounts (even if you've already paid for the 6 months) they will charge you more. This should be illegal. Anyways I called about it and they said $22 was from the easy pay "discount" that accidentally got knocked off the policy and $7 was from the car being more than 5 years old. So they added the easy pay back on and I should see a bill for the $7. I just received my edited bill and it's $22. Moral of the story is they tell you one price. You pay it and then they bill you for more later.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I've been with this company for 3 years, pay about $3000 in premiums yearly on 2 policies (just went up to $3300 yesterday because of a move) and had an incident in which they rejected the claim this week after hitting a deep puddle. The claim would have been for around $2000 before my $500 deductible. But I guess they prefer losing an 800 credit score customer who has never been late with a payment. Meh, what can you do. My new insurance company is $800 cheaper yearly, I'll pay the repair myself.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Nationwide says they are on your side but I believe differently. My car was totaled May 23rd by fault of someone else. I received settlement details papers on June 6. As of today, my car has not been paid off and I haven't received my refund. I made a car payment yesterday to avoid a negative credit report. It took two weeks to get a car rental. Multiple calls and seldom a call back from the claims rep. Had an attorney call claims rep to try and get a rental. I was told to sign power of attorney form for totaled car so Nationwide could take possession of the car. I faxed the form on June 7th and the car was taken from the pound on June 11th. I did a BBB complaint two weeks ago and the rep said she's waiting on the Power of Attorney form. Lies! The attorney called again and received a call back four days later. The claims rep said she's waiting to hear from Carmax. So not true.

After I rejected Nationwide response through BBB, I get an email that a check has been sent to Carmax. As of today, the payment hasn't been received. I stressed that I will get a negative rating on my credit if payment not received by 23rd of June. Do you think they FedEx the payment or submit it electronically? Of course not. The attorney called again and was told a payment is being sent but I was told the payment was going to be sent as soon as the POA form was received. Well it was received on June 7th. Nationwide is not on my side. They have lied and deceived me. If you are looking for a reliable insurance company. Nationwide is not it. They lie and deceive their customers.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident a few weeks ago. I changed lanes and the car in the lane I changed to rear-ended me. I followed traffic laws, I checked all mirrors, I used my blinker, I gauged the distance of the other car in that lane, and the other car wasn't paying attention and rear ended my car! I’ve been involved in 1 accident 17 years ago, not my fault, and haven’t had any tickets since 2004. Nationwide found me to be at fault for improper lane change based on the police report and the other person's communications. I played phone tag with the agent, left messages, etc. When I finally spoke with the agent I was advised my insurance would pay for the damages. I felt the time frame it took for me to speak with Nationwide prompted the decision.

I called my local office, Tolar Agency Inc and spoke with Sharon’s Tolar. I explained my concerns. She offered to research the decision and contact me back. That was June 7th and I haven’t received any communication since. Today is June 14th! Her office never fails to contact me when my payment is due! However, she has not made any attempts. I expected the Nationwide folks to put me off, I never thought my local office I’ve been a patron of for 5 years would dismiss me. I expected better customer service! So, not only were the national company not on my side the local agent wasn’t either. I’m shopping for reasonable insurance with great customer service! I hear Amica is the one, we will see! I won’t give Nationwide nor Sharon Tolar my business for much longer!

Original review: June 5, 2019

I've had to file an auto claim before, but the apathy at Nationwide surpasses anything I've encountered. After waiting for 30 minutes to report my mother's accident, I was told an agent would call within 24 hours. She did call after I emailed her after 4 days. After giving the agent everything she needed including the contact info for the other part, she sat on her butt. The other part started contacting me asking for someone to reach out to them!!! After a week and a half!! I have not been able to reach the agent for past three weeks even though I send in the power of attorney so I could speak to her. Nationwide can wipe my backside.... They will take your money and give you squat. AS soon as this nightmare is over I am switching. Beware.

Nationwide Insurance - Auto Company Information