2. Automotive
MetLife Auto

MetLife Auto

4.1/5 (952 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About MetLife Auto

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance throughout the U.S. It offers auto coverage through its website, as well as through some employers. The company provides highly customizable car insurance policies, affordable rates and special discounts, including workplace deals.

Pros

• MyDirect online portal
  • Easy-to-use website
  • Highly customizable

Cons

• Some coverage can be pricey
  • Online portal unavailable for some

Bottom Line

MetLife offers quality auto insurance at affordable rates. Its highly customizable policies include add-on options like identity theft and legal fee coverage. Policyholders can make claims online through its MyDirect portal.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

MetLife Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 9, 2020

Will never get insurance through MetLife again. They over charged me. Also when setting up paper work over online they messed up. Now I have to suffer for late fees and not being able to pay bills. Three customer service was no help. Please whatever you do don't go with MetLife.

Original review: April 3, 2020

This is by far the worst auto insurance company I've dealt with yet. I sign 6-month contracts at a time, and originally signed because they were the cheapest. However, over the past 2 years my contract repeatedly increased with no reason (no accidents, tickets, anything) without any emails or notifications of these increases, sometimes they charge me every 2 months instead of every 6, and now despite the layoffs/furloughs and quarantines, they have refused to extend their payment deadlines or put a hold on my account. Absolutely would not recommend.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had the worst experience with the auto insurance portion. The customer service was the worst and they were extremely rude and did not care at all what I was going through. I did not get a call back from anyone. I contacted them over 4 times to get the status and after two weeks to finally get the outcome.

Original review: March 6, 2020

This company is not only very expensive but won't take no for an answer. When I called to cancel this insurance the girl on the other end would only talk about payment plans. So I paid through the end of the policy and almost 6 months later got a collection letter for continuing the policy. When I called the collection company to tell them this policy had ended they were telling me that I was getting billed because of early cancellation. For some reason the collection company required me to send them proof of another insurance company having another policy. To me that's none of their because my policy with MetLife had already ended. After a few phone calls to the collection agency and to MetLife they still require proof of insurance after my policy had ended. Would never ever recommend doing business with this company. An expired policy is an expired policy.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Started a new policy with Met. They never sent over the binder to my credit union for my suv. I tried 4 times to talk to someone that could send the binder never got sent. I switched companies to another insurance and they keep billing me. Also there is a cancellation fee hidden in the contract beware!!!! Stay far away from Met!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I was hit by a person covered under MetLife Auto Insurance so, I filed through his insurance without any success since MetLife is giving me misleading information paired with being rude. They never contacted me even though I keep trying to get information about my claim.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I have spent the last two hours just trying to log into my account. At first there were no boxes to put in the Validation Code they sent. Then when that didn't work another screen came up and there were questions but no place to put the answers! I completely shut down my computer and restarted it. Same problem. Finally managed to work my way on using another website and when I did get signed on, it said they could not help with me getting a quote. Not trying to get a quote, trying to update my direct debit. I tried with two other web browsers, chatted live with someone and now I give up. Think I will cancel this policy and find someplace that has a working website. Oh and I also tried to use their app. They are having "technical difficulties" all day! If you dont ever want to get online and see your policy this is the place for you!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Stupid computer glitches, very inefficient in updating changes on the policy. For 1.5 years can't delete a car and change our address, they keep charging me. Thinking to go to court with them, spent so many hours trying to fix it! They do pay for accidents well, BUT, then they raise their prices immediately after, for ALL cars, drivers AND also home properties, if you happen to insure homes with them, too. Also, for home claims, they raise prices on all other homes and on all car policies. Basically, you end up paying for all repairs out of your pocket that way, plus paying for having the insurance. Insurances are Crooks, so are the politicians who allowed them to come to our lives, force on us the mandatory coverage and let them operate with impunity!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

MetLife offers insurance through my employer, so payroll deduction was convenient. Every year, my renters insurance goes up and it’s always some ridiculous reason. 4% “state requirement increase” or something stupid like that, that I’ve never heard up. I’m in GA, but had renters ins in NC for $17 a month. Now?? $140! What kind of mess is this? I got my renewal documents and I’ll be cancelling this policy, once and for all when they open up. I’ve been with them since late 2013 and I had both car and rental ins. When I found a better rate for car ins, my renters ins went through the roof. MetLife is a fraud. Haven’t had any claims since 2013 and the quotes I just received for other companies are $20-$30 a month! Ridiculous!!!! Never again!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

MetLife is an awful company. They notified me by mail 1 week before they cancelled my policy. No phone call to say "you'll no longer be insured". Completely unacceptable. When I called to ask them why they did this, a woman named Kathy laughed at me. Customer service is incredibly rude.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

TERRIBLE company! I was advised through my job at Providence Hospitals to get auto insurance through them. MetLife assured us that they would have a better rate than we were currently getting. They signed us up and got back to us at a much higher rate. So we told them we wanted to cancel the policy (this was all within a two-day period) A week later we got some mail from MetLife about our policy (which we had canceled) so we decided to call and verify it was canceled and they wouldn't be charging us. They said it was and that this mail must've been scheduled to come out before cancelation.. okay...

Well, another week later they automatically withdrew from our paycheck. We called them demanding the refund and they said they see it was canceled and they charged anyways so that we should expect our refund in 5-15 business days. Well, we just got the refund FOR $4!! They charged us close to $300! So we called again and they were like "Oops, it appears your policy wasn't canceled. It is now, and you can expect the rest of your refund in 5-15 business days." WHAT THE **. I don't know how they still have their doors open, and how ConsumerAffairs rated them 3.5/5. They're so terrible. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I signed up with MetLife through my employer, since signing up I have been giving the runaround. Initially, payments would be deducted bi-weekly through my employer but instead, they were taken out monthly. When I called to get this adjusted no one could help and no one had an answer as to why it was monthly or why it couldn't be adjusted. I ended up canceling my policy with last payment taken out in AUGUST. However, September paycheck another deduction has been made. Once again I've made several attempts to get this error fixed, every time I call I'm told to do something different in order to get a refund. MetLife won't take responsibility on a mistake made by them and I have to jump through hoops just to get someone to help. Never recommending MetLife to anyone!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

My agent is an independent agent. I have had other insurance carriers in the 20 years I have used this agent. He constantly looks for the best deals for me. At this time MetLife is the best coverage for the premium, plus I get a lower rate on the renter's insurance that is on the same policy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Excellent customer service. I have full coverage on two vehicles, the towing is outstanding. I had to pay out of pocket one time. Over 50 miles. They will tow anywhere. My only regret is not having car rental coverage and affordable extended warranty.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I Love the customer service from my local agent, quick to answer and happy with my payment and coverage. Love that is is local and can talk to someone in my town not states away. When my rate went up my agent made sure that all my discounts were still on my account and got my rate reduced.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

The company is there to help whenever I need them - whether is a billing question, a coverage question or my needs when some other driver totals my vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My insurance was $107 for a while. Fine. Take the money out of my damn account. I need car insurance. It’s illegal to drive without it. I would log in to pay it monthly because auto pay couldn’t be set up. Huge inconvenience but fine. Well recently they raised the premium after I had already submitted my payment a day before payment was due. They raised it by $16 and since I had already paid and I wasn’t aware of the premium change I kept on living life unaware my account wasn’t current. I log in today to do my monthly payment and find my policy cancelled. I have it out with the person at customer service on the phone.

If you don’t wanna take my damn money and are incapable of even doing autopay?? Because the money will always be in my account. $107 is nothing to me. Gotta have insurance. Then I will take my business elsewhere and that’s what I did. Got a geico policy and guess what? They have auto pay. Only way to pay your bill in fact which is how it should be. Unless I cancel, I CANCEL, my policy, I want the damn money coming out monthly. Stupid stupid stupid company. Stay away from MetLife.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I cancelled my policy because I found a better rate, and after a few months of not deducting my payment, they actually deducted the payment. Then their customer service representative said I owed the money that was deducted, plus an additional $3.96 to make my account current. They raised my rate even though I had never missed a payment, and not had an accident. I am so glad I found another policy, since this nonsense would have been sure to continue.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I have been insured by plenty Auto Insurance companies in the last 40 years and this was the worst one and most expensive one. My husband and I have great credit, excellent driving record but every couple months they sent mail raising the payment on our vehicle insurance and every time I called and asked them "why is the payment increasing" they could not tell me why, well I know why. It's greed. After four years I decided to cancel it and went to State Farm and my payment premium is a lot less. I only pay half of what I was paying with Metlife, Great Choice, bye bye Metlife. Go make a butt out of someone else. Am done.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Worst Customer service ever!!! I am paying an outrageous amount $547 - a pay check that is being automatically deducted from my payroll when I called on 7/21/19 to ask if there were any options to lowering and was lectured about my driving record which is BS. I know my driving record. I then found an insurance that was only 270 a month!!! WOW. What a big difference. I call back to cancel my insurance effective 7/21/19 and do they do it? NO! Of course not. Why would they?! I call today and literally on hold for 45 min before speaking with a person only to be given the runaround and have to jump through hoops to get this taken care of. Ridiculous. Worst company ever and I do NOT recommend them to anyone! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I was involved in a accident with one of MetLife clients back in May, he was at-fault. We received a check for the car but when it comes to my pain and suffering and lost wages which I had to miss work for my injury, I have YET to hear anything. The medical facilities and ambulance services have contacted me and I was wondering WHY, considering I have sent in all medical authorization forms to MetLife to take care of this issue.

When I contact the insurance adjuster handling this claim, she NEVER have ANYTHING to say about the claim thus far. She hasn’t sent in not one form, that I do know. She act like she have just put my claim on the back burner until she gets ready but it shouldn’t be that way considering that you take these people premiums out ON TIME to cover things such as this if it comes to it. I don’t want to involve a attorney but sometimes things like this make you act out that serious. People if I was you, I would shop somewhere else for insurance before even giving MetLife a chance!! I pray my insurance company doesn’t be this way if I need them.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I would not recommend this company for a couple of reasons. My policy was canceled three days after the due date. When I redid the application, the premium almost doubled. After the first payment it tripled from the original amount. When I filed a claim with them, they did not investigate as the true meaning of the word. They just went by my statement and that’s all. Yes, the premium was cheap at first but I got what I paid for... Dime store service.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My whole experience with MetLife Auto was a disaster. First I switched in November 2018. We bought a car in December of 2018 and spent hours at the dealership trying to add my new car to my policy. The rep was rude and said I’m an online customer and I need to do all this online which wasn’t working because their site sucks. In May I was late by two weeks and they sent me a bill for the full amount. I called and paid the late balance and the next month of June. I went online to pay my bill and my account said canceled for lack of payment. Called today which took forever only to be told they canceled me for 36.00 that wasn’t paid.

I tried to explain to them that when I paid the last time the only option it would give me would to pay the whole policy which doesn’t end until October or pay a standard payment which I did. Please do yourself a favor and don’t go with a company that will just shut you off and leave you for days without having insurance. If I would have been in a car accident I would of been in a lot of trouble. Save your peace of mind and go with a more reputable car insurance company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Trying to upload a copy of DR. Lic online. No place to do & No one answers phone timely. After 4 tries finally got Rep. Was told could not help with online issues. Transferred to another Rep. SAME BS. Could not help with online issues. Over 1 hour of my life will not get back. You forgot INS companies are a dime a dozen. Screw this. I will get INS from another company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Metlife offered discounts through my job. I tried it out. It was the worse thing I could have ever done. I gave the rep. all my info. We went over it. I got a good quote. Cheaper than my current insurance. Two months later I realized the rep. entered my wife's daughter on the policy (26yrs old) instead of my daughter (19 yrs old). I emailed the rep. and supervisors to get this looked at and changed. No one called or emailed me back for weeks.

I finally got a hold of someone and they made the change and my insurance went 250 bucks more a month. I clearly stated my daughter's name and her info at the start. MetLife knew their rep. had made a big mistake because they told me they had addressed the rep. The recorded phone conversation confirmed everything. They told me there was nothing they could do for me. No apologies, no nothing. Instead of paying extra 250 a month. I left them immediately. I would not recommend MetLife to anyone! Don't do it. Thanks, Tony

Original review: May 14, 2019

I’m sorry but MetLife was the worst possible insurance I could have ever gotten and would never get it again. I had a “good quote” because of the agent who helped me, by the name of Michael **, entered my information wrong, even after receiving a photocopy, A CLEAR SCAN, of my driver license. He was no help whatsoever. I tried calling him multiple times to figure out how my insurance went from 220 to 400 dollars, only to find out HE entered my information wrong. So I called Geico RSA right away to get back with my insurance and cancel my policy with MetLife. Now, I didn’t get ANY information about my policy after securing it in the beginning of December of 2018. No mail about my policy till two months later, and I had no recurring mail about payments needed to be made or any policy updates whatsoever.

I had to keep calling, and get transferred from from call to call to call because no one in MetLife is capable of helping and have the worst customer service whatsoever. Since Michael ** was not returning my calls, I had to get in contact with a supervisor Vickie **, who was no help whatsoever as well. The first call with her was great, she said she would take care of the policy and make sure we would not owe any sort of payment. Great, I thought! Well, she lied. Not only is she ignoring my calls as well, the payment was still the same and it also went to CREDIT COLLECTION. Piss, poor customer service. I was extremely livid that I had to pay MetLife, especially so I wouldn’t get a mark on my credit. The only person who was helpful was Cynthia, who helped me get my confirmation number and receipt of the payment. Stay away, they do not care about their customers.

Original review: May 7, 2019

In December 2018 I secured an auto policy from MetLife for my 2015 and 2007 cars. My driving and accident record are clean. I was quoted a monthly premium of $253. I was told that they do automatic billing at the end of the month, rather than at the time of purchase. I then authorized the auto bill. When the billing came through my premium charged was changed to $573 a month, not the $253 quoted. I immediately called but could not get anyone to address this charge or correct. I then switched to Progressive, which offered a $264 comparable monthly price to what was originally quoted by MetLife. I took the Progressive Policy.

I then filed a BBB complaint in Michigan, where the insurance was secured in an attempt to get me a refund of the $319 overcharge. The BBB Complaint was moved to the New York BBB Offices, where MetLife Corporate Offices apparently are. To avoid any further frustrations and complications the BBB Complaint was now creating with it having moved to NY, I decided to take the hit and absorb the added cost MetLife charged. I had moved on. I had good insurance with Progressive and I did not have the time to deal with the overcharge any longer.

However, I did feel that the actions by MetLife were fraudulent inasmuch as there was no authorization to charge me the increased cost. The agent could have contacted me regarding a change but did not. I would have refused the increased premium and never went with MetLife Auto Insurance. After all, who in their right mind would pay nearly $600 per month for car insurance on a three year old car and with a good driving record.

Now, it is May 2019, and strange as it may be, I get a Collection Notice on behalf of MetLife telling me that I have an outstanding balance with them and owe an additional $686 for the brief time between the cancellation of the policy and the end of the over-billed month's term. Are you kidding me! I cannot imagine that I am the only customer that MetLife has quoted a price; gotten authorization to bill after the month; and then unilaterally altered the price and charged more.

Pretty interesting strategy that company has because when you dispute the increased charge, you get nowhere. Everyone has amnesia. And no one has authorization to fix. And, try to find a complaint resolution forum. I've tried and basically it's been like too sad, too bad. I will NEVER, EVER use MetLife Auto Insurance. Someday I anticipate a Class Action for conduct like this. It is so horrible and disruptive. Shame on you MetLife Auto.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I made the mistake of changing from MetLife auto insurance to Progressive; big mistake! MetLife is on their game; Progressive is a rip off. I putting this in so no one else make the same mistake I did. I actually thought MetLife was only California insurance, so I changed before talking to MetLife. MetLife is the most helpful insurance company. When you have questions or need another copy of your insurance card they will email it so you can just print it out. They even helped me out when someone was claiming I hit their car at my apartment building; MetLife adjuster came out and proved that I did not hit their car. They really do back up their clients. I am changing back to them.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Ok. I work for an airline so I get a "discount" for bundling and having it payroll deduction... I got into an accident over 3 years ago, nothing major... They jacked up my insurance for 3 years peaking at over $430 a month. I've paid over $15000 over that time... Mind you NOT ONCE have I EVER got into an accident so I figured after 3 years, my insurance would drop.. Yeah it dropped a whole $23 a month. So I called a month ago and told them to cancel my policy effective April 28. The guy LIED and told me that the April 5th payment would come out and and the 19th I would be billed for. I still had the deduction come out AND got a bill for some balance.

This company lies and will rip you off. DO NOT get a policy from them. So within 10 days I'll have paid $190 to MetLife and have to come up with another $200 to start another policy. Absolute ridiculous way of doing business. Lying to their clients and ripping them off. NEVER AGAIN will I use MetLife. Sad that I have them as my dental insurance. Not my choice though.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have recently moved from CT to CA and have had my home and auto through Metlife for past 8 years. All I wanted to do was switch same coverages from one state to the other with no coverage adjustments. It has now been a month and they still have things all messed up with me calling in at least twice a week. Each time I call it's at least 1 hour minimum if not 2 hours between the waiting to actually talk to a human. They still after a month have me covered and billed in both states! Is it really that difficult to transfer a policy?? I am writing this review while I am on hold...again...waiting for a representative for past 40 minutes.

MetLife Auto Company Information