2. Automotive

MetLife Auto

MetLife Auto
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

MetLife Gallery (4)

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Solid financial strength
  • Discounts on defensive driving, superior driving, good student, mature driver, controlled mileage and car safety features
  • 150 years in the insurance industry
  • Excellent rates on group discounts
  • Features mobile apps, such as MyDirect, MetLife CARE program, My Journey app and MetLife US app
  • Savings on deductibles
  • Gap coverage, custom sound system replacement, no deductible on glass repairs, legal defense costs and identity protection services

CONS

• Occasional mobile apps issues
  • Relatively higher prices than competitors

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

MetLife Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had just made the first payment on my auto insurance policy from MetLife when I had my accident. However this company paid for everything, the towing, the doctor Bill's and the entire estimated cost of the vehicle. This company is absolutely awesome. If you're looking to insure your vehicle don't look any further than MetLife. This is a loyal and reliable company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

My agent is an independent agent. I have had other insurance carriers in the 20 years I have used this agent. He constantly looks for the best deals for me. At this time MetLife is the best coverage for the premium, plus I get a lower rate on the renter's insurance that is on the same policy.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Excellent customer service. I have full coverage on two vehicles, the towing is outstanding. I had to pay out of pocket one time. Over 50 miles. They will tow anywhere. My only regret is not having car rental coverage and affordable extended warranty.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I Love the customer service from my local agent, quick to answer and happy with my payment and coverage. Love that is is local and can talk to someone in my town not states away. When my rate went up my agent made sure that all my discounts were still on my account and got my rate reduced.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

The company is there to help whenever I need them - whether is a billing question, a coverage question or my needs when some other driver totals my vehicle.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I've been with Metlife Auto for 40 yrs. I've also been in Health Care for the same amount of time. I ran over a tractor trailer tire in the middle of the hwy at 4:30am on my way to the Hospital. I'm 6mo away from retirement at 69. I was told that because my car had 215,000 miles on it that the $4000 repairs were cause to total my car. I explained the above to several reps and that all I wanted was to have my car fixed so I could make it to the end of the yr without incurring additional financial burden having to purchase another car, thus delaying my retirement.

They charged me the deductible, even though nothing was fixed. The car, a 2012 Hyundai, was in very good mechanical condition. They paid me about $3500. as what they felt the car was worth. I had to buy a new car for $19,000. In this time of crisis, when other auto insurance companies are giving back, Metlife is only looking out for their investors, not their policyholders. Being a Healthcare worker, a 40 yr policyholder and a 9 yr Vietnam vet and a senior seems to holds no water with them. I talked to a number of people in Metlife. It's like talking to a brick wall. This is not the first incident that I've taken issue with, with Metlife. I am leaving them and going to another insurance company. You should too, before it costs you.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Someone with MetLife auto insurance destroyed my car. After 2 months I am trying to have my money back from a rental car that I paid from my pocket and they just lying, it was not my fault and I sent the copy of the bills, every week they says something different and do not pay me back. It is a nightmare, stay away from this company.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have been with MetLife Auto for a quite a few years. Always paid my bill on time, not one ticket or accident. In February this year I was on my way home and a man hit me head on. The man didn't have enough insurance to cover for my car that had only 8,000 miles. MetLife ended up covering it, with that being said the man got the ticket yet metlife found a loophole and canceled my policy. When I found out they canceled it I got another insurance. Then they had the nerve to take my insurance out anyways when I found out they had not even covered me the whole month. Called for a supervisor no response. Go figure. Wrote a letter to commissioner of insurance. They said get a lawyer. It has been a headache. So no, I absolutely do not recommend them. Especially when they terminate your policy for a wreck you didn't cause.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Will never get insurance through MetLife again. They over charged me. Also when setting up paper work over online they messed up. Now I have to suffer for late fees and not being able to pay bills. Three customer service was no help. Please whatever you do don't go with MetLife.

Original review: April 3, 2020

This is by far the worst auto insurance company I've dealt with yet. I sign 6-month contracts at a time, and originally signed because they were the cheapest. However, over the past 2 years my contract repeatedly increased with no reason (no accidents, tickets, anything) without any emails or notifications of these increases, sometimes they charge me every 2 months instead of every 6, and now despite the layoffs/furloughs and quarantines, they have refused to extend their payment deadlines or put a hold on my account. Absolutely would not recommend.

MetLife Auto Company Information