2. Automotive

MetLife Auto

MetLife Auto
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Solid financial strength
  • Discounts on defensive driving, superior driving, good student, mature driver, controlled mileage and car safety features
  • 150 years in the insurance industry
  • Excellent rates on group discounts
  • Features mobile apps, such as MyDirect, MetLife CARE program, My Journey app and MetLife US app
  • Savings on deductibles
  • Gap coverage, custom sound system replacement, no deductible on glass repairs, legal defense costs and identity protection services

CONS

• Occasional mobile apps issues
  • Relatively higher prices than competitors
MetLife Auto Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

MetLife Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I have been a loyal customer since 1998 for both auto and home. Tonight, Oct. 5, 2020, I was on hold for 40 minutes and then spoke to a rep to simply cancel my auto on my Honda. Carlos said it was done and I asked to be transferred to tech support because I was locked out of my account. I was on hold for 30 minutes. That rep could not get me onto my account. He tried for an hour without success. He gave me a ticket number and said someone would contact me in the next 5 days.

Someone said that the last time I called but no one has contacted me. I asked the second rep if my policy on my Honda was canceled and he said it was not. So what Carlos did I do not know! I will be canceling as soon as I can get into my account or speak to a rep that can actually help me. If you are currently shopping for insurance and customer service is important to you, MetLife is not your company. It is nigh to impossible to get with a rep and when you do they are incapable of remedying problems.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I’ve filed 1 claim and was informed 8 months later that I am being dropped in the middle of Covid. These representatives are all foreign and can hardly speak English. They will not explain their rationale and deserve a gigantic class action lawsuit. This company is a scam, they have taken my money every single month for 3 years and the second you need the actual service they drop you and kick you to the curb.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have a customer waiting at my dealership for the last 6 hours waiting for a stamped RMV form. They gave me 3 different numbers to send it to. Only last one worked and still waiting. Terrible phone system. It took me 10 minutes each time I call to get a person and then they can not transfer me to the right people. They just say they have no idea how long it will take.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have a really good agent that discovered I had too much insurance on my house, between that and other discounts she saved me lots of money. I have had one accident and called the 800# and they made the process painless.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had just made the first payment on my auto insurance policy from MetLife when I had my accident. However this company paid for everything, the towing, the doctor Bill's and the entire estimated cost of the vehicle. This company is absolutely awesome. If you're looking to insure your vehicle don't look any further than MetLife. This is a loyal and reliable company.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I've been with Metlife Auto for 40 yrs. I've also been in Health Care for the same amount of time. I ran over a tractor trailer tire in the middle of the hwy at 4:30am on my way to the Hospital. I'm 6mo away from retirement at 69. I was told that because my car had 215,000 miles on it that the $4000 repairs were cause to total my car. I explained the above to several reps and that all I wanted was to have my car fixed so I could make it to the end of the yr without incurring additional financial burden having to purchase another car, thus delaying my retirement.

They charged me the deductible, even though nothing was fixed. The car, a 2012 Hyundai, was in very good mechanical condition. They paid me about $3500. as what they felt the car was worth. I had to buy a new car for $19,000. In this time of crisis, when other auto insurance companies are giving back, Metlife is only looking out for their investors, not their policyholders. Being a Healthcare worker, a 40 yr policyholder and a 9 yr Vietnam vet and a senior seems to holds no water with them. I talked to a number of people in Metlife. It's like talking to a brick wall. This is not the first incident that I've taken issue with, with Metlife. I am leaving them and going to another insurance company. You should too, before it costs you.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Someone with MetLife auto insurance destroyed my car. After 2 months I am trying to have my money back from a rental car that I paid from my pocket and they just lying, it was not my fault and I sent the copy of the bills, every week they says something different and do not pay me back. It is a nightmare, stay away from this company.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have been with MetLife Auto for a quite a few years. Always paid my bill on time, not one ticket or accident. In February this year I was on my way home and a man hit me head on. The man didn't have enough insurance to cover for my car that had only 8,000 miles. MetLife ended up covering it, with that being said the man got the ticket yet metlife found a loophole and canceled my policy. When I found out they canceled it I got another insurance. Then they had the nerve to take my insurance out anyways when I found out they had not even covered me the whole month. Called for a supervisor no response. Go figure. Wrote a letter to commissioner of insurance. They said get a lawyer. It has been a headache. So no, I absolutely do not recommend them. Especially when they terminate your policy for a wreck you didn't cause.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Will never get insurance through MetLife again. They over charged me. Also when setting up paper work over online they messed up. Now I have to suffer for late fees and not being able to pay bills. Three customer service was no help. Please whatever you do don't go with MetLife.

Original review: April 3, 2020

This is by far the worst auto insurance company I've dealt with yet. I sign 6-month contracts at a time, and originally signed because they were the cheapest. However, over the past 2 years my contract repeatedly increased with no reason (no accidents, tickets, anything) without any emails or notifications of these increases, sometimes they charge me every 2 months instead of every 6, and now despite the layoffs/furloughs and quarantines, they have refused to extend their payment deadlines or put a hold on my account. Absolutely would not recommend.

MetLife Auto Company Information