MetLife Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My daughter (a listed driver on my insurance policy) was plowed into by a driver who ran through a stop sign. After the insurance adjuster examined my vehicle, he considered it to be totaled and estimated that the car was worth $2,000.00 LESS than what I owe on the car loan. I disputed this with my "Claims Rep." who said he would look into it and get back to me. Well he never did. The whole claim was "settled" by them behind the scenes. I didn't even know the claim was closed until I called the place I send my car payments to and I was told they received the settlement check from MetLife and I would still be billed each month for the balance on the loan. Yes I have heard of purchasing "gap" insurance but seriously? MetLife will most certainly recoup all their money (from my loss) by the at fault driver's insurance company. What skin is it off of their nose to reimburse me for my total loss?

Now I am making a car payment each month for one car that is on the road and another car that is sitting in a junk yard! They do NOT have the customers’ best interests at heart and they do NOT work with you. The last time I called (to get an actual person to answer a couple of questions for me regarding some forms they mailed out for my signature), the estimated wait time was 15 MINUTES!!! I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. This accident happened on 01-May-2017 and I am still steaming about the rotten service and treatment they "provided"! I am in the process of changing car insurance companies. It's a bit of a hassle but I know it will be well worth it in the long run to dump this outfit. Another person who wrote in to complain called them shysters! That person is absolutely correct. My advice is to avoid them at all costs.

On 2/11/17 an individual insured by MetLife auto backed into my car causing just under $2000.00 worth of damage. MetLife offered me 50% settlement. Knowing I was not at fault my insurance company sent the claim to impartial arbitration. Today 7/7/17 I was informed that a judge ruled 100% in my favor. I called MetLife to verify this information and when I would be reimbursed. I was told that they have not changed their position and now refuse to pay anything whatsoever. Guess it's time for legal action for a small fender bender. Glad it was not a total loss!

I recently received a few notice of cancellation our auto policy. I assumed it was due to my husband having two accidents within 3 years, though the first one would be very close to being three years old at renewal date. That was not the case. It was because there had been two claims filed, one glass and one collision that I'm still arguing fault on. I worked in auto claims for 8 years and still can not fathom how this claim is considered at fault!

When you're in a newly built subdivision driving that has vehicles on BOTH sides of the roadway and there's a manhole cover in the middle of the road, how are you suppose to go around it? Hit one of the cars on the side of the road, wait till someone decides to leave or better yet go door to door and ask people if they can move their cars so you can drive past without possibly damaging yours? Please! What I suggested to the supervisor was that my husband became Superman so he could be able to pick up car his and carry it over the manhole cover in the roadway that he could drive around because it was in the middle of the road and that was all that was available to drive on due to people parking on the sides of the road. Yeah she got a laugh out of it but I wasn't saying it to be funny, I was saying it to make a point because they were being beyond ridiculous in their decision in the claim.

My husband did even provide pictures granted it was after he got his car home and got mine because that manhole cover did a number on his transmission housing and he couldn't sit around snapping pictures. Our agent has called MetLife to try to get them to work with us about the cancellation and the claim but their agent/customer support staff is absolutely horrible!!! I am now in the process of looking for new auto and probably home insurance too along with filing arbitration on the auto claim due to their finding it at fault.

I have absolutely no idea how this company is still in business. I was always under the impression that it was a reputable company, but customer service doesn't even exist. You have to chat or email to contact them. The people that handle the chats lie, and no one ever answers the emails. I've never seen anything like this. Unbelievable!

Had to add daughter to policy due to her turning 18. I have two vehicles and the gentleman that initially set up the policy stated he was going to set my daughter as not non-primary driver because she doesn't drive the vehicles. Upon checking my due date I noticed that they had me listed as a primary for one and my daughter for the other. When I spoke to a customer service agent I was told that the way they have to write the policy because they have two vehicles and two drivers; one driver can't be assigned to both vehicles??? I stated if she assigned as a primary my rate is higher due to her being a new driver. The agent continually stated she can't change it. I ended up canceling the policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

I've had MetLife for years. Their fees are reasonable and customer service is better than other leading providers. It's a great company but their online and phone customer service could be better.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. They are a horrible company to deal with. Their customer backed up into my car while getting out of a parking space and damages my front bumper and grill. I quickly write down license plate number and make police report. I call MetLife and wait for over half an hour just to get someone on the phone. It took them about over 5/6 months for them to agree to pay for the damages. I take my car to the agreed place so they can fix it and when the day finally comes for them to fix it they CALL me to tell me they aren't fixing anything. Insurance claims their customer said nothing ever happened because their car doesn't have damages... she took back her original statement of admitting fault. Sooo to get out of paying MetLife DENIED THAT AN ACCIDENT EVER even HAPPENED.

Have been insured with them for many years and have a number of claims. Their service was quick and user friendly. Also, their professionalism always stands out. Was involved in a minor accident and the claims process was smooth & quick. My car was repaired in 3 days using a approved repair shop. Adjusters were polite & knowledgeable and check for the repairs came less than a week later.

I have had bi weekly payments coming out of my pay for 2 cars and home insurance. My husband had 2 speeding tickets and we received a cancellation. I was paying them 660 a month just to insure 2 cars and 1800 a year for homeowners insurance. This just doesn't add up. 660 a month for 2 cars? I think they robbed me. This is fraud.

Pissed consumer! This company needs to evaluate their guidelines to be in sync with other companies to compete. The customer service reps were always professional and courteous, but the information and quotes received was always incorrect and totally ridiculous. I am a person who needs to account for every penny and I am over 50 years old and I have an excellent driving record and the quote I received on a used car and not a luxury vehicle made no sense in addition to a renter's policy. Not a happy!

When I called and talked to an agent about a policy for auto insurance, I was quoted $280.33 per month. I was charged $312.55 each month for two months. I called to ask why I was being charged so much and I was told because I chose an 11 month policy??? Why would I want to go uninsured for one month out of the year I am paying for? When I asked to cancel my policy, I was told I am still going to be charged another $49 by the end of the month. I was told before there was no cancellation policy fee. MetLife is unprofessional and absolute liars. I definitely DO NOT recommend MetLife.

Thank god I am not insured by this company! Their claim handling is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. I was involved in an accident with one of their insured's. (MetLife has already accepted liability.)This is going on 3 months already and I have heard from the claims adjuster twice in that time frame. Both communications were because I initiated contact. I have contacted her 3 times but she has only responded to two of them.

They are dragging their feet on settling this claim and I'm pretty sure it's so I get desperate and take their first low ball offer. I don't know about you but this is not the kind of care I expect when paying large amounts of my hard earned money for insurance coverage. Delaying the process is only pushing me to get an attorney. In my experience there are much better insurance companies to be insured with. Think twice before turning over your hard earned money to them.

Is there a NO STAR rating option? A man that has MetLife insurance rear ended me. Was able to call MetLife the day it happened to start a claim. I got 1 phone call from the claim adjuster, Will ** to let me know the claim number and to contact him with questions. I called many times and left message after message for a return phone call. NOT ONE CALL BACK from him. I called to talk to anyone there to give me updates. They all said he is the only one to talk to for that claim. They even said they left him a message to call me. Again, NOTHING.

5 days later after not hearing anything back from MetLife I called and stayed on the phone and insisted on speaking to someone. Anyone that could give me an update. The woman I finally spoke to looked it up and noticed in the notes that it said "waiting for recorded statement" which at that time I recorded that statement with her. I'm glad that I was the one that had to keep trying to get ahold of someone to even get this far. She then tells me she will have Will call me. Again, days go by with no word. 2 weeks after the accident I call and spoke to his supervisor who then tells me that he will look over the file and give me an update the following day. Supervisor calls me and tells me it looks like they have to side with THEIR insured.

What the H!!! 2 weeks to get nothing done! Why couldn't the original claim adjuster, Will **, have called me back to discuss things? I am writing this review 3 weeks after the accident because I received a letter from MetLife/Will **, saying "After a careful review of the facts, we have determined that we cannot pay your damages at this time." Sincerely, Will **. REALLY!!! From Will ** who never returned a phone call. MetLife is a freakin joke! Obviously ignoring phone calls and messages. I see a number of reviews that I am not the only one being treated terribly by MetLife. TERRIBLE COMPANY TO DEAL WITH!!! If you have to deal with MetLife, have a lawyer be on the phone line with you every time. This has been my experience with MetLife Auto.

I was rear-ended by a kid with this insurance. The adjuster wrote up an estimate for the repair of a bumper that is not repairable--so 500 dollars that won't cover the damage. I called to get a rental and drop the car off to body shop. Oh no I have to bring the estimate to my shop and can't get the rental til the parts are ordered and there was some BS about the lowball estimate not yet approved even though I received the pdf already. It's Friday but I can't drop it off until Monday because this cheap company won't pay for a rental over the weekend. So more time off from work. Insult to injury when they accept liability, they lowballed estimate that won't cover the repair and won't give me a rental until the parts are ordered--parts that won't cover the damage. This is why people hate insurance companies. METROPOLITAN SUCKS.

I was hit by a gentleman that has a MetLife policy in April 2016. It's now March 2017 and they have refused to call me back. They have basically denied the claim even though there was a witness. Twice when I spoke to MetLife they lied and claimed the witness said that both vehicles were backing out and that is not what I said or the witness said. Dionne ** ext ** said that she is refusing because that is what the witness said. I asked her to play the witness statement and she said she doesn't have to. So I spoke to witness and she recorded the entire conversation and she never said that both drivers backed up at same time like Dionne said that she said.

Dionne ** she will have to listen to what the witness recorded and then she will call back. She was very rude and at one point she was yelling so loud. I can't believe they have blatantly lied this entire year. When we're in the grocery store parking lot with people walking up and down the aisles and the gentleman claims there was no witness. Good luck if you get in accident with someone that has MetLife. You will get screwed every way possible.

Terrible customer service. I called them to make a payment since I kept telling them to take the payments from my account monthly since that's how I've been paying Geico for the last 4 or 5 years and they make it so impossible to do that! I was on the female agent for 33 minutes and got absolutely nothing accomplished! When she quoted a ridiculous amount that was nowhere near what I paid just 2 months before, I asked her for how many months that was for. She couldn't even tell me. After about 20 minutes on the phone with her not getting anywhere I asked to be transferred to another agent that might be able to explain the policy better to me, she put me on hold for about 5 minutes... then came back on to ask if I wanted to speak to a supervisor or another agent?

I explained again that it did not matter, I just needed someone else to assist me. She kept bringing up a supervisor, so I said I'll speak to one. She put me back on hold for another 5 mins then came back on to tell me that no one was available. At that point 33 mins had already passed so I told her forget it and I was just gonna with another insurance company. I loved the customer service from Geico and the only reason that I switched was because Metlife used to be affiliated with Navy federal credit union and they were cheaper than Geico.

I've been with MetLife for 15+ years. I called them to ask if we could bundle my premiums. I had so many policies it seemed to be a juggling act with writing the checks (Yes back then we had to write the checks). They told me with so many policies it would be more effective if I put them all into a grand protect. It was great. I had multiple homes and cars. Cut my premiums by 40%. As a responsible policyholder, I did all I could to not file claims. I had the highest deductable possible. As a home builder and mechanic that was not uncomfortable for me. Now 15 +-years later... I moved to Florida. I only had one car. I was hit by a semi truck. I refused medical treatment. Then two days later. When I was unable to tie my shoes. I had to get medical treatment. I was given lots of prescriptions I did not even use. Then my girlfriend borrowed my car and was hit by a low life that took off and left her. So She went to the ER. Thank goodness she was OK.

Then I added a third car. I didn't get a bill so I called and...Yes. My policy was cancelled. I have no points on my license. I have no moving violations. I can't remember the last time I made a claim. I've had car insurance since I got my first car. That was 33 years ago. At one time I had 7 auto policies. OH. MetLife loved me. The one time I needed my insurance. Now this. So I sold my cars and quit working. What is the point. Pay, pay, pay. For what. It would have been cheaper to not file the claim. I cannot understand how a business that can take your money and cancel your contract. And It's legal. Seriously... What happened to character, integrity. DO NOT USE METLIFE. If you are with them now. PLEASE. Look for another company. If you don't, that's OK. Just don't file a claim. Ever.

Call to make a policy change to an existing auto policy. First man, obviously having trouble speaking English. Spent an awful time on the phone with him. He managed to email myself and my lease company, the wrong information. Call number 2, to resolve the first issue, results in a person from the orient answering, and now have been on hold for over 10 minutes. Time to change insurance companies. I am sick and tired of having to be made talk to people I have a hard time understanding, or with a machine.

My car was damaged in a private parking lot by one of the insured customers. Of course the police will not investigate on private property so they used that as one reason not to pay for damages to my car (no police report). Secondly, MetLife stated there was no witnesses so therefore they were not obligated to pay. Funny thing though, stupid insured MetLife customer left her car on my bumper after hitting it. My passenger and the hotel security guard saw the damages as I pulled my vehicle from the other vehicle. Now tell me, how is that proof not enough? Even third-party adjuster took measurements, but they still said no proof. Come on, people... no proof... right. Just a way to screw someone who actually incurred damages to their vehicle. I hope you all who have lied and screwed me on these damages can live with yourself. You know what they say about karma.

Won't return calls. Nickel and dime your valuation. Arrogant and non-caring adjusters. Another example how overpaid insurance executives are ruining this country. It starts with medical now it's moved on to car and home insurance. I guess we need more bureaucratic infringement to keep these thrives under control. I sure wish I had my car back since it's costing me over 1000 dollars for a total loss when hit by a MetLife's client.

They gave little details. Nickel and dimed total loss. Paid 23,000 for car. Totaled unfortunately 2 weeks later. Paid out 20,000 as loss. Penalized greatly when purchasing a new vehicle, will be leaving company soon. Company charges competitive rates but doesn't deliver when you have an accident. Nickel and dime on rentals and repairs and very poor Customer Service Rep. communication.

Was involved in an accident where a MetLife-insured driver was at fault. The rude, arrogant, and incompetent claims adjuster for MetLife, S. ** out of Dallas, refused to return repeated phone calls to take my statement. After leaving 10-12 messages she did call back, but wouldn't proceed with conversation without a claim number, which she had never provided. She is now refusing to accept fault. The accident was 4 weeks ago and nothing has been done. She hasn't even taken pictures of the other vehicle, which was insured through MetLife. A complaint was filed against her with the insurance commission; I'm sure not her first. Hope someone of importance reads this and cans her as she is WORTHLESS.

I just began with MetLife this year, but the local insurance business I deal with found them to be very good. The local insurance business, Barrato & Sullivan, recommended them to me and the annual came in under my previous carrier Travelers.

We've been with MetLife for about a year now. We were rear-ended a few days ago, I called MetLife and made a claim the next day and called the insurance carrier of the party at fault. The other insurance company did not handle the situation well and they were very rude. When I talked to Julia from MetLife she made the situation better for me. She explained everything for me as much as she could. All of the MetLife reps I talked to were great! I'm very pleased with the way everything is being handled.

If I could rate MetLife with a negative 10 stars I would. I've been a dedicated customer for 15 years with MetLife with both my home and auto. My record is clean, no lapse in coverage ever, always made payments on time. 15 years of perfect driving and I have one tiny incident where I backed into a pole and I get a letter saying my policy is being canceled! What's the point of having insurance if you can't even use it? 15 years of my business to them and this is how they show their appreciation. DO NOT USE METLIFE. THEY DON'T CARE AND WILL DROP YOU IF HAVE TO USE THEM. All they want is your money and not to have to cover you when you need it. Do not use them!!!

Metlife ripoff. We have great auto records. But MetLife increase our auto policy 14% for a minor report (texting while driving). We have had other problems with our homeowner insurance. They are a horrible Company.

After being with my former insurance company for years, I learned about MetLife through some coworkers at my former job. What I loved most was that my auto insurance was able to be taken right out of my paycheck every week before I even saw it. I signed up and was very happy. In January 2016 my family and I moved to another nearby city. In February 2016 I changed jobs after learning months earlier that my employer would be closing their doors. I immediately called MetLife to give them my new address information and pay my insurance premium because I knew it would no longer be coming out of my paychecks when switching employers. I gave them my card number over the phone and paid $514.00 on 02/19/2016 for 6 months worth of my auto insurance.

On August 11, 2016 I was in a minor car accident - someone backed into me in a parking lot and caused some front end damage on my vehicle. The police were called and a report was filed. I was later informed by the police department that they could not give me the information of the driver that had damaged my vehicle, due to the law and that my insurance carrier would have to request that information and I would have to go through the insurance companies to get my vehicle fixed.

On August 16, 2016 I called MetLife about the accident, wanting to get my car fixed. I was told that I was no longer insured through MetLife and that they had canceled my policy on June 9, 2016 after sending my renewal notice and not receiving a response. I was shocked. I explained that I had not gotten any type of renewal notice and that if I had gotten it it would have been paid because I have a loan on my vehicle and need to have insurance at all times. Additionally, I did not understand why it would have been canceled on June 9, when on February 19 I had called and paid for 6 MONTHS of insurance.

After much debating about whether or not my insurance policy should have been canceled, I learned that when I had reported my address change back in February, whoever took my information over the phone typed my new address information incorrectly. They had my correct street address, correct city and state, but the zip code in the system was one digit off; the person had entered a 4 as the last digit rather than a 1.

Me, being a logical person, I could understand how someone might hit the 4 accidentally, rather than the 1 on a number keypad. I explained that the incorrect digit had been entered and that had to be the reason I had not received the renewal notice. When I Googled the zip code that was actually entered, rather than my correct zip code, it came up as a city approximately 90 miles away from me. I assumed that after realizing the mistake was on their end, everything would be ok and that we could figure it out and get my insurance reinstated. This was not the case.

After several calls and debating about the situation, I got to a point where I was so upset and couldn't even speak about it anymore. At this point my boyfriend began talking to the MetLife representative about it. The MetLife representative told my boyfriend that MetLife quit receiving my automatic payments from my paychecks sometime in December of 2015 and that when I called in February 2016, the 6 months that I was paying for was to include the amounts that had not been paid since December. That is not true.

Since my former employer has closed their doors, I contacted the corporate office of the company in Arkansas and requested my last 3 months of paycheck stubs from my employment with them. The information I received shows that my MetLife insurance was being taken out of my paychecks through February 4, 2016. I want to know what happened to the money that I paid to MetLife from December 2015 when they claim I quit paying it, until February 2016, when my documentation shows that I was still paying it. I want answers!!!

This incident is destroying my life simply because some incompetent MetLife representative couldn't type my zip code in the system correctly so I could get my renewal notice and question where my money went at that time. Because of the incompetency of this company, I now have a damaged vehicle that I cannot get fixed, I learned that I was driving around for 2 months unknowingly without insurance (thank God nothing more serious happened), I am now forced to pay twice as much for insurance because I am coming up in the system as having been uninsured. And I still have no answers as to where the money went that I had paid from December 2015 to February 2016.

I originally went with MetLife Auto and Home Owners about 10 years ago. I decided to go with them on the recommendation of my independent agent. At the time, I probably picked them more for price than anything else. However, after losing my home and everything in it to a fire, I will be with MetLife even if they are not the cheapest. They brought in a claim guy from their "Major Loss" department and I was very skeptical. They also brought in an arson investigator. However, once the cause of the fire was determined (an electrical component in the alarm system), I felt they were on my side and had my back at every turn! I expected to have to fight for fair settlements. They were very fair, expeditious, and awesome to deal with.

I have done a lot of work for Red Cross Disaster Services and have heard so many horror stories from people who have had major claims due to fires and hurricanes. Terrible stories of dealing with insurance companies who seemed so illusive, inattentive, and argumentative. I recently joined a warehouse club and the representative was telling me how much money the club's insurance saved them and that I should sign up for it. I told her I was not interested because I know the true test of an insurance company is not whether they have the best price, but more importantly, who is on your side when your world falls apart!

I'm currently shopping for Homeowners Insurance quotes and came across Metlife reviews and I felt I should share my experience. Back in 2010 I was with Geico Auto and paying just under $300 a month for full coverage for two vehicles. I was not complaining but at the same time if I could get a lower premium I was willing too. Talking with a coworker whom had had Metlife Auto before mentioned to me that as employees of my job we get a cool monthly payment for Metlife and he guaranteed it would be lower than I was paying with Geico! So of course I called and spoke with a rep from Metlife and to my surprise the quote floored me! For both cars and 3 licensed adults (1 of the 3 newly licensed and just turning 18) full coverage was right around $72 + windshield protection made it about $86 a pay period!!! HECK YESSS I got with METLIFE IMMEDIATELY.

So let’s fast forward to September 2012 around 11:30ish pm. While at work my very nice, 03 Pearl White Cadillac STS was vandalized in the parking lot. At the time the extremely lazy and obviously distracted security called me from the production floor to escort me to the parking lot where I see my baby TRASHED. This is my experience with Metlife from this point... I immediately contact the police to find out that my situation does not warrant them to send a unit??? What!??? So what am I supposed to do now? They gave me an internet link, instructed me to file a report and within 10 days it will be sign by a sergeant and I can pick it up for my records. OKAY. So I do that immediately after getting off the phone with the local PD. From there I have my brother wake up and give me a ride home.

Now the crazy part is I really don't know why I called the insurance company at now this wee hour in the morning. It had to be close to 1 or 1:30 am pacific time... and an agent answered! So now I go thru all that had happened and this next part completely blew me away. The agent documented my report, had made note about the police report and also had a link to just attach and send once I received the signed report from local PD, dispatched a tow truck in my city to pick my damaged vehicle up and submitted a contact for whichever auto repair company to process the estimates of repair and also had a rental car of the same standard as my STS by 7 am... Metlife provided this for me all shortly before 3am! After getting the rental, the damaged vehicle to the auto repair, waiting about 72 for the appraisal...

The auto repair called me in and expressed that only after going over just the exterior of the vehicle that it’s been his understanding that just at the cost for the exterior repair, that No Insurance company would cover that amount and he hadn't even looked at the interior yet. So I had to take a loss on my baby! The auto repair said that the appraisal would be sent over to my insurance company and they'd contact me, so on the way home about 10 minute from leaving the shop the adjuster calls from Metlife, confirming what I had just been told, that the vehicle unfortunately would be considered a total loss... just cost too much to repair.

Now here what the outcome was... Metlife paid the vehicle off and although I had GAP, I received my original GAP payment back, which surprised me. Metlife extended my rental for another 25 days @ $6 dollars a day (I did have to place a $50 deposit at the time I picked up the rental). Back then it was the new designed 2013 Dodge Charger (BEAST!). Now about 6 weeks??? later I check the mail like usual and I see a letter from Metlife and I thought it strange because for the most part everything I do with them was and is online... So I open the letter and there is another appraisal report which claims that my vehicle had more value than originally appraised so there was a check to me for that amount plus the $50 dollar deposit that I had put for the rental!!!

I am still in shock of how I was treated because of all the horror stories people tell about when they have similar experiences... I looked long and hard to try and find another STS but was not fortunate enough to find one in a condition I thought worth buying so I took that money well some of it and put down on another vehicle. I am still with Metlife now, and again with now both of my vehicles, renters, dentist and vision... All full coverage and still well under the $300 per month mark. Thank you for your service Metlife and thank you for this great experience.

First of all this insurance is high as the sky and second I will not recommend no one else to MetLife. I cancelled my policy and they garnish my checks 2 weeks after I cancelled them, so they put me in a terrible situation and now I having issues because of MetLife. They will not have to worry about me nor anyone else who do voluntary paycheck deductions. I will never do that again.

MetLife Auto Company Profile