Call toll free*
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Last updated: April 24, 2018

205 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2018

Just got a letter stating my auto policy will not be renewed. It states I have too many claims. A tree fell on my car. Just body damage but Metlife totaled it. (Not my fault.) Someone hit me from behind and took off. I never filed a claim but Metlife has it listed anyway. (Not my fault.) My wife got hit in a parking lot. But whoever hit her took off. (Not our fault.) I guess if you have Metlife, don't file any claim or even mention that someone hit you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I am extremely dissatisfied with MetLife and their lack of professionalism and ethical behavior. My son was in an accident with a driver insured by MetLife Auto. The MetLife driver failed to yield at the stop sign and proceeded to cross 2 lanes of oncoming stopped traffic in order to turn left while merging into 2 other lanes of traffic. The MetLife driver attempted to enter the turning lane which was already occupied by my son who was about to make a left hand turn. MetLife will not accept 100% responsibility even when the police report states that the MetLife driver failed to yield. It has been over four months and despite submitted pictures of the crash site and testimonies, MetLife still refuses to accept 100% fault.

I will not accept MetLife's 80% liability offer because it makes no sense to state that their driver yielded 20%. I can't get a lawyer to take the case because there were no injuries suffered from the occupants in my son's vehicle. So, my only course of action is to tell all my friends not to use MetLife Insurance. This is unacceptable business practice especially when there are so many other choices out there for auto insurance (& Homeowner's & Life, etc. ) in the marketplace.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2018

On Mar 9, 2018, a man insured by MetLife ran a stop sign causing a collision between our vehicles. The police were called and the police report clearly states he failed to yield the right of way to me and was at fault for causing the accident. My car was not driveable and had to be towed away. I reported the claim to MetLife the next morning. It's now been 11 days, and MetLife has yet to contact me about the claim. I call the adjuster everyday but their voicemail is full and he never answers. When I speak to a random customer service rep, I am told they are still waiting on the police report that I emailed them 3 times already!!! I am having to borrow a vehicle just to get back and forth to work. I have no idea if my vehicle will be repaired or totaled. This is a nightmare for me. And after reading the previous reviews, I see a pattern here. This company needs to be shut down!! Where are the laws protecting consumers from these monsters??

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

HORRIBLE! I cancelled the policy before it was even over because I could not manage it online! The MyDirect platform is so flawed you aren’t able to access ANYTHING online and it sends you in loops to even get help locating your own policy! I even called in for help one day because I needed a copy of my coverage (waited on the phone forever) and was told that MyDirect customers cannot be helped over the phone!!! It is exclusively an online plan yet the online platform does not function! After I cancelled I received a bill in the mail and I can’t even pay it online like the bill indicates because the platform doesn’t work!! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR MYDIRECT! We switched to Geico and are very happy.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

MyDirect MetLife Auto is the worst company I have ever had. After I set up an online auto policy, they took my initial payment but after that I kept getting error messages so I called customer service many times seeking a resolution only to learn there is no resolution team or customer support for MyDirect Auto customers. And finally when someone did respond to an email I sent, he had the nerve to tell me I didn't have enough funds on my card for making the payment and I replied telling him he's a liar, I knew I had funds but they refused to say something was wrong with their website... Still have not been able to make a payment today so I'm done with MetLife.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

MetLife has my home and auto and I've had them for years. They are the best at what they do and provide good, quick customer service. I do payroll deduction and it makes the premiums so much easier to pay. Filing a claim has been efficient and quick. They answer all of the questions in a professional way and provide courteous service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

What's the point of having insurance if the insurer won't fix your car? I have had MetLife for 10 years and have religiously paid my premiums. We have our first accident where we were rear-ended, causing a 4 car pile up. The driver of the car that started the accident was cited and her insurance company (GEICO) called us within 1 day and admitted fault. GEICO was on the ball. Our Volvo V70 was damaged in the front & back, but the damage was not that bad. The car was in pristine condition (no dings or major scratches) with very low mileage (less than 5,000 miles per year).

Within 2 days of getting an estimate (at their approved body shop) MetLife had totaled the car out and provided us with a ridiculous value. MetLife had not even received the police report yet and were assuming that no one was at fault. Since they were going to be reimbursed by GEICO, I could not understand the rush to total our car. We appealed the value and provided other comparable sales that should have increased the value substantially. The MetLife adjuster increased the value, but not enough to not total the car. We then appealed again and provided additional adjustments that we thought should be made. MetLife made small upward adjustments, but not enough to get the car repaired.

The MetLife adjuster then said she would speak with her supervisor about some other reasons why we believe the car was worth more. She called us 2 days later and said she lost her notes. REALLY? This has been going on for over 2.5 weeks and we have been driving around in a compromised vehicle that is not safe. This is how inefficient and inexperienced the employees are. The MetLife adjuster said she would get back to me the next morning. She did not... And we waited over the weekend until Monday... And we called her. She said that their decision was final.

We then called GEICO (the insurer of the woman who caused the accident) and they are sending an adjuster to our house to value the vehicle. They stated that we should not have been driving around in the car and that they would pay for a rental. THAT is how an insurance company should work. All we want is our car repaired. It is built like a tank and withstood the force of a large Tahoe very well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I had MetLife Auto Insurance coverage for my 5 automobiles for a year. I received a renewal offer after the 1st year which was about 25% higher than the 1st year even though I had no claims! I called my agent, Boss Insurance in Texas to let them know I am not renewing. Left them at least 5 messages. Got no response. Ended up buying insurance from AAA for 30% less premium than MetLife had offered me. Again, I called left messages and e-mailed my agent that I have acquired another policy. After 3 months I received an invoice from MetLife for about $1200.00 for continuing and arbitrarily renewing my policy. Again, I called and sent them my new policy and let them know that I had purchased another policy. Now they have turned me into CCS Credit Collection Agency!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We took my vehicle to have an estimate the next business day after we were hit. The acceptance of fault from MetLife took several days even though their insured had recorded a statement that same day admitting fault. Then I had asked for the check to be mailed to myself and it was sent to the body shop. I called after I never got it. They said they would have to stop payment and send me one and that they did that. Several days after I had not received anything I called back. They again said they had to stop payment on the check and would issue me a check that day. I called 6 more times and was given a different answer every time about the stop payment on the check being issued. Each time they had assured me they would send it the following business day. Now here we are three weeks later and when I called yesterday they had no record of a check being mailed out to me. No one will call me back. I have to call them myself.

I called them today and someone said that the adjuster tried to call me but couldn't leave a voicemail because my voice mailbox is full, which is totally not true. I have not one voicemail. They now say they will overnight a check to me but it will not leave the office until tomorrow which VI and more time from the weekend. If you're going to overnight it why can't you do it today? This is the worst experience with an insurance company I have ever had. I would not insure my daughter's bicycle with MetLife.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I quoted for my car insurance, MetLife came up that I had 3 accidents that I never had. I called them, (they put me on hold for 20 minutes) they said they got that information from my current insurance company and told me to buy their insurance "as is" then get the letter from my insurance blah, blah, blah... I called my insurance, they pulled my record and said I don't have any accident at all. MetLife is such a shameless liar.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have a janky car and not worth the amount of money to fix so I'm selling and planned on getting new car and returning to MetLife but this company is pressed. Sent paper about insurance inquiry to DMV like no more business for you from me, and will let it be known. I've dealt and switched insurance companies when you the little prices switch and none has ever been that bold\nosey\hate to lose a customer if you will. Kinda sad.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I was in a rear end accident by a MetLife insurer in November 2017. She told me I can have her phone number and insurance card if I can just let her drive her son to school. I called the police and the officer came and wrote a report. My insurance company helped me to contact MetLife Auto insurance and talked to a female representative. She asked me for detailed information about the accident and assigned me to an adjuster. It has been over a month and half already. I called them many times and went to their authorized auto repair place to estimate the damage right after I got the police report.

In addition, four different representatives of my insurance company also called them. One of the representatives actually talked to the adjuster. This representative told me that the MetLife adjuster promised to call the insurer (the adjuster said the insurer never responded the phone before) that day. Even if the insurer doesn’t answer the phone, he (the adjuster) will resolve the claim right away. So far it has been another ten days. The adjuster left a message on my phone today and told me he left a message in the insurer’s answering machine. So the case is still pending after 53 days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased auto insurance through MetLife, I received a quote and paid for the first month. During the first month, my policy went through the underwriter, which I know is normal, however my policy premium went up considerably. I received a notice regarding an increase in premium, and it advised of an effective date of 12/26/17. When I realized the increase in premium was something that I could not afford, I cancelled the policy effective 12/25/17, which was the end of the monthly term that I had prepaid, when I began the policy. MetLife still charged my account for the new monthly term, and I reached out via chat, the representative refused to explain why I was being charged despite me cancelling the policy before the start of the monthly term.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I bought a policy with Metlife Direct online. After getting my new policy I realize that I needed to change the due date. I spoke with the representative and got the due date change done and was told that I had a new policy number. Roughly 15 days later I received an email stating that my policy had canceled and that I no longer had insurance coverage. I called and spoke with the customer representative who said that once the new due date had changed the money from the old policy was not moved with the new policy which meant their policy did not have any payments made on it.

They cancel my policy without even notifying me and I had a lapse in coverage which meant I had a penalty with the DMV. Make sure that you ask all of the questions up front if you are planning to get a policy with this company. It is very hard to get someone on the phone and it is very hard to find a number to the online Department. I hate that I ever moved my insurance. This company is not dependable and it is not reputable. I would advise not using this company!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This company has a reputation of respect and customer service. They are always available to answer customer questions. What they say is what they do. Even when you have left Allstate and tried another insurance company no others can compare. Allstate has been a trusted insurance company for me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I just spent over an hour on the phone trying to find someone to help me with a log in error. I was transferred 6 times, then on hold for 30 minutes. Then when someone answered they asked what I wanted help with and I said I need help logging in to my MetLife account and they hung up. This is very frustrating and unacceptable. I've had this insurance for some time now and cannot get anyone to help me log in or even, apparently know what they are talking about. My claims agent has been great but the tech log in people are about enough to get me to change my insurance company. This is just such poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My wife was hit by a driver insured by MetLife on 8/26/17. The other driver was 16, totally at fault and admitted that to the police as reported in the crash report. I contacted MetLife claims on Wednesday as they had not yet called me. They had not yet spoken to their insured. All I got was apathy and delays for three and a half weeks before I finally asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke to Nigera **, who showed no patience and was outright hostile. She spoke over me constantly and finally said "We have 30 days to settle any claims and we are not there yet. I don't know why you are upset." I had explained to the original adjuster, Lisa **, that I wanted to get out of the rental car and possibly save them some money, to which she told me to just file with my insurance. The accident was not my wife's fault nor should it be up to my insurer to pay for this.

Lisa also lied on her file notes saying that she called me to let me know that after 3 weeks and 4 days that they had finally accepted liability. She never called to tell me that. I did get a call from their total loss department 5 days later with a terrible offer. I sent her comparable cars and they did bring it up some, but not near enough. Luckily, I have a much better insurance company covering me who gave us a fair offer and I will let them subrogate against MetLife. Not only did my wife lose a car that she loved, we got screwed over by MetLife.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been a faithful MetLife customer with home, auto, boat, and trailer insurance for the past 17 years. I have never been late on a payment and have had a perfect driving record for 31 years and an excellent credit score! I had my first fender bender (less than $5000.00) in total damages and I was dropped one year later by Metlife! The reason was I was now too high of a risk. Really! After 31 years of driving and one minor slow speed bump and MetLife insurance company drops you like a hot potato, not a great experience. I have had no other claims in 17 years at all on any of the policies I've had with Metlife. If you have MetLife insurance now, or are thinking of getting it... I would suggest running away and going elsewhere. They are definitely not a company that will stand behind you for the long term.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

MetLife is extremely disorganized and their wait times to reach customer service agent are unbelievably long. First of all, if you buy an account online, they don't provide the online specific (MyDirect) phone number (800-295-7781 - took me about 3 hours to get this number) and the agents who answer can't find your account number and tell you your account doesn't exist. After I finally found out there was a MyDirect specific number with the only agents who are aware of or can access your account, I was unable to reach any because wait times were too long (45+ minutes), or they were unavailable outside business hours (9-5 pm CST M-F).

In addition to the above, the website is unclear and disorganized and often has glitches that kick you off and you can't access payment history. Further, they do not send you correspondence as to when your payments are due. Lastly, when you respond by email, they do not respond, despite the urgency of your request and their unavailability by phone. I've been insured for 20 years. This is HANDS DOWN the WORST insurance company I have ever used in my life. I will never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

They signed me up for an express it account. Said my payment was going to be around 70. They deducted 300 from my account. Had to prove to them with bank statements that it occurred after 3 weeks of waiting for a supervisor approval then they say it was from a previous account. Never had a previous account. They out and out stole my money and didn't want to issue me a refund then after a month and a half later they tell me "Ok we will issue you a refund but you still owe us the payment and your monthly payment of 70 which was agreed on."

But then they want to increase my payment to justify the amount that was stolen to get keep it when there was no prior account to justify this, basically they steal your money and make up excuses to keep it. Please run as fast as you can. They are thieves and never give them your access to your bank account. They will take whatever, whenever and good luck once they have your money to get it back out an out thieves.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My only reason for switching to MetLife is because the rates were the lowest I could find. Other than that I feel that all insurance companies are the same.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with MetLife has been very pleasant, sometimes rewarding. Would recommend them to anyone. Especially those that have to talk to a machine first.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My experience was awful and I'm not even insured with them the guy the hit me was. He rear ended me as I sustained injuries. I was told because of minimal damage to my work van they will settle for the least amount. I would hate to see what happens for the people that are actually insured with them. They don't return calls. I knew I should have just went with a lawyer to begin with. This is the worst insurance company I've dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This is the worst company ever to deal with. I logged into my online account to complete some document for my policy renewal. There are no documents listed, even though I received 2 emails from them stating I needed to do this. The policy number I entered from the email THEY sent brings an error that says the policy doesn't exist. I tried calling them but was told since I have an "unusual policy" that they could only communicate with me via email... WTH!?? Payments are drafted monthly from my account, the policy has not lapsed, yet I have been locked out of my account that may or may not even exist.

All I wanted to do was check out their nonexistent documents and print a new card. The customer service clowns that I spoke with were both rude. I sent the email to communicate about my policy, actually twice now and asked for a return phone call or email to discuss and have yet to receive a response. So what if I need to make changes or cancel?? COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS and lacking customer service. I wonder if I even have coverage... But no one can communicate that with me. They sure have been taking my money. DO NOT USE THESE fools.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I am taking the time to thank MetLife Corporation for the years of loyalty and protection for our family. We have been clients of MetLife Corporation for more than a decade. Through tough times and good, MetLife have been by our side. I mean there were times that our family did not have the best of blessings. During those moments, without question, MetLife provided superior service to our family. We have worked with everyone from Reps to Directors, each experience and contact was beyond our expectation. The best thing is that MetLife keeps most of their customer-oriented services state-side, which is nice and huge benefit when someone speaks perfect English and will not waste my valuable time. MetLife, you are a world-class organization with a world-class workforce. Thank you and we hope that your success is profound in the coming future.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I first switched to MetLife from Amica because my premiums for two cars one of which no longer needed full coverage was almost $3,000/year and that was with zero accidents. Their explanation was my auto insurance credit rating and that there was a rate increase (I still have homeowners through Amica and don't have any complaints about them than the insane premium). I shopped around and MetLife had the best rate out of companies that I'd be willing to insure with. (Monthly premium went down to about 110/month). Not long after I switched, I wound up in two accidents. The first was a student that went through a stop sign and destroyed my bumper and damaged hood even though I clearly had the right of way.

The second was within the week where I was backing out and another car was backing out and we backed into each other. My car just barely had a scratch in the bumper from the second accident (other car was the same but their car was Brand New so they chose to file a claim so I did let MetLife know so they were prepared to hear from the other insurance company). It was about three weeks before I could bring my car in to get repaired for the first accident (that is how long it took the body shop to get the parts) and the deductible was waived since I wasn't at fault. The other one, MetLife determined fault was 50/50, and offered to repair my car, but as someone that likes to drive my car until they sure, it seemed a water to get such a minor scratch repaired. The following year, my premium actually went down. I was surprised after having two accidents so close in time.

Fast forward a couple years to December 2016. I had just finished paying off the loan of my car a couple months earlier. I was driving home in a snow storm and spun out because of the slippery nature of the road. Luckily I didn't hit anyone else in the process. I ultimately hit the wall on the side of the interstate, the side airbag deployed and my car was no longer operable. Called 911, picked up by ambulance and spent the night in the hospital due to a minor spleen injury. Car was towed. Overnight while I had nothing better to do and couldn't sleep, I called MetLife to file my claim so I could provide the hospital with the claim number, and MetLife arranged to tow the car to a place that won't charge for storage.

It took about three weeks to settle the property damage. The value they came up with was actually higher than I came up with (I was worried they would offer trade in value, they actually offered more than I would've sold my car for in good condition. I did have to get an extension on car rental because of the timing to buy my replacement, I had to have dealership hold my down payment because I didn't actually get the check from MetLife until the day after I purchased the car, but only had the rental until the next day. It worked out fine though. They paid all the medical directly, and while I'm not sure I think that amounted to about it $20k.

My premium didn't change when I got my new car. I just got my renewal and it did go up for the year by about $40/month. That is a nearly $500 increase from last year, but still cheaper than I was paying Amica by nearly $1k/year. I may shop around, but I'm not sure I will find a better deal. I'm not sure why others are having such bad experiences. They have made my claims go smoothly. I hope to not have any more accidents of course, but I'm thankful to have such efficient service.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My daughter (a listed driver on my insurance policy) was plowed into by a driver who ran through a stop sign. After the insurance adjuster examined my vehicle, he considered it to be totaled and estimated that the car was worth $2,000.00 LESS than what I owe on the car loan. I disputed this with my "Claims Rep." who said he would look into it and get back to me. Well he never did. The whole claim was "settled" by them behind the scenes. I didn't even know the claim was closed until I called the place I send my car payments to and I was told they received the settlement check from MetLife and I would still be billed each month for the balance on the loan. Yes I have heard of purchasing "gap" insurance but seriously? MetLife will most certainly recoup all their money (from my loss) by the at fault driver's insurance company. What skin is it off of their nose to reimburse me for my total loss?

Now I am making a car payment each month for one car that is on the road and another car that is sitting in a junk yard! They do NOT have the customers’ best interests at heart and they do NOT work with you. The last time I called (to get an actual person to answer a couple of questions for me regarding some forms they mailed out for my signature), the estimated wait time was 15 MINUTES!!! I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. This accident happened on 01-May-2017 and I am still steaming about the rotten service and treatment they "provided"! I am in the process of changing car insurance companies. It's a bit of a hassle but I know it will be well worth it in the long run to dump this outfit. Another person who wrote in to complain called them shysters! That person is absolutely correct. My advice is to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: July 7, 2017

On 2/11/17 an individual insured by MetLife auto backed into my car causing just under $2000.00 worth of damage. MetLife offered me 50% settlement. Knowing I was not at fault my insurance company sent the claim to impartial arbitration. Today 7/7/17 I was informed that a judge ruled 100% in my favor. I called MetLife to verify this information and when I would be reimbursed. I was told that they have not changed their position and now refuse to pay anything whatsoever. Guess it's time for legal action for a small fender bender. Glad it was not a total loss!

Original review: July 3, 2017

I recently received a few notice of cancellation our auto policy. I assumed it was due to my husband having two accidents within 3 years, though the first one would be very close to being three years old at renewal date. That was not the case. It was because there had been two claims filed, one glass and one collision that I'm still arguing fault on. I worked in auto claims for 8 years and still can not fathom how this claim is considered at fault!

When you're in a newly built subdivision driving that has vehicles on BOTH sides of the roadway and there's a manhole cover in the middle of the road, how are you suppose to go around it? Hit one of the cars on the side of the road, wait till someone decides to leave or better yet go door to door and ask people if they can move their cars so you can drive past without possibly damaging yours? Please! What I suggested to the supervisor was that my husband became Superman so he could be able to pick up car his and carry it over the manhole cover in the roadway that he could drive around because it was in the middle of the road and that was all that was available to drive on due to people parking on the sides of the road. Yeah she got a laugh out of it but I wasn't saying it to be funny, I was saying it to make a point because they were being beyond ridiculous in their decision in the claim.

My husband did even provide pictures granted it was after he got his car home and got mine because that manhole cover did a number on his transmission housing and he couldn't sit around snapping pictures. Our agent has called MetLife to try to get them to work with us about the cancellation and the claim but their agent/customer support staff is absolutely horrible!!! I am now in the process of looking for new auto and probably home insurance too along with filing arbitration on the auto claim due to their finding it at fault.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have absolutely no idea how this company is still in business. I was always under the impression that it was a reputable company, but customer service doesn't even exist. You have to chat or email to contact them. The people that handle the chats lie, and no one ever answers the emails. I've never seen anything like this. Unbelievable!

MetLife Auto Company Information