MetLife Auto
Based on 127 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

MetLife Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

306 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am kind of stuck with MetLife Auto at the moment. I paid over $4000 last year and didn't need to use it once. I pay over $300 a month for nothing. If I need a tow, they don't cover it. I am only with them because it's offered at my wife's job. They need to add towing and some kind of loyal customer incentive would be wonderful. I will be changing auto insurance but unfortunately I have to save up to do so. I honestly can't afford the down payment these other companies want. I am actively looking for another company that I can afford the down payment, so until then I'm stuck.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I did an online quote with MetLife for my son and answered every question accurately. With him being 19 the rate quoted online was $320 per month. This is high but almost expected for his age. However, when we called the company to set up the policy the rate jumped to $527 per month. The agent on the phone used the exact information provided on the website and came up with this entirely different quote. They would not budge on this so of course we went elsewhere. However, this is a huge waste of time and borders on false advertising by MetLife. I would avoid this dishonest company and go with someone else.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 6, 2018

I've only had insurance with them for one month. The process of purchasing my car insurance was fairly simple and only took 30 minutes tops. They asked a few questions and pair you up with something that best suits you. I like that it comes directly out of my check weekly and I received a discount because of one of my jobs. As soon as my social security number was entered it popped up with my job and the discounts I could receive.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I enjoyed the plan and the customer service at MetLife. I was able to have this plan payroll deducted. This plan offered glass coverage with an inexpensive deductible. In addition, everytime I called the customer service was excellent. However, while I had great coverage, they did not offer a comparable price in my state. It was 2 times higher. And I was able to save over half my payment by switching. Also, it wasn't easy to monitor my plan online since it had an employer discount. I had to call every time.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The MetLife Auto policy was very easy to purchase and it's cheaper to purchase through them than other companies. The company also lets you pick your deductibles and your coverage. Furthermore, I like that they auto draft the payment out of my checking account and they split it so I pay a portion of the payment every other week. This is easier for me to budget out of my account. While I had a very nice experience, I was needing to change my vehicle on my policy one time and I could not contact anyone after regular business hours nor could I change my policy online using my phone. I had to wait until the next day and log in at work and change my vehicle. Website was hard at first to get it to accept the change. I had to do the chance about 3 times before it took.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 3, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the ease of online and by-phone customer service and MetLife Auto's truly affordable rates. However, I would like more local agencies that would allow for face to face customer service. Even so, it was all so easy and user-friendly, which is crucial for this busy gal! My experiences have been very satisfactory. I would freely recommend this company for any and all insurance needs.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Purchasing my current auto insurance policy at MetLife was quick and easy. It was altogether a pleasurable experience. The agent was friendly and helpful without being pushy or irritating. Furthermore, the insurance policy is less expensive through this insurance company that I had with my last insurance company, yet the coverage is equal to if not better than my last policy through the other company. MetLife has been good and I am very satisfied with them at the moment.

Original review: June 1, 2018

MetLife Auto is good. It provides plenty of reliable resources. They have good medical and full coverage package which makes me feel safe. The monthly cost is manageable and they offer a good student discount. Reaching out to a claims rep was easy and they work at a fast pace so I always manage to find help. The keep me in the loop about the progress of a claims and keeps me inform about policy changes. When I had my accident they work with me right away and inform of things I needed. They also made sure others who were in my care are also covered or protected. However, the repetitive paperwork when it comes to an accident needs to stop. They are sending the same the same letters over and over again. I once got a letter every week for 6 months letting me know that my case is still pending and should have answers soon. Please just call personally or leave a voicemail.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Metlife offers many options for vehicles, home, such as motorcycle, boat, cars, homeowner's and renter's property and belongings. They also offer other features for travel as well. However, they could improve upon response time and make service more personal. I want to feel I am the only one. I have always been treated fairly in any services I have requested or any claims I may have had to process. They have made me feel I am the only one who matters.

Original review: May 31, 2018

MetLife Auto is pretty affordable and they give me what I need when I get into a wreck or anything. They've got me covered. I had gotten into a wreck not too long ago and they really helped me get through that. Sometimes people are a little rude over the phone, but just be nice and they'll get you what you need. I was able to do the purchasing process over the phone. Not a very long wait or anything. But you have to pay a down payment so I'd save for that cause it can get pretty expensive. But it's not too bad and it works for me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Purchasing from MetLife Auto was a great experience, fast and easy! They were right on the ball and did not try to sell me anything I did not want. I did not feel pressured! Or overwhelming. It includes my rental insurance and we get a great rate and more coverage! Customer service is great, helps with claims in a timely matter. A variety of plans to choose from. They need better communication when it comes to payment options, policy changes, local office or branches would be extremely awesome and would make it a lot easier to make payments. And would make life a little easier.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchasing my policy from MetLife Auto was good experience. Always able to get a live agent and treated with respect. Agents usually able to answer questions with one call and they offer to do extra things like checking on the insurance accounts to make sure that they are all current. Payroll deduction was available which is a big advantage to me. I don't have to be vigilant about due date or amount due. I am very pleased with the service and the policy's coverages. If they can't answer my questions they will not put me on hold. They will research the answers and give you an answer at a time convenient to you. I would like to have my home insurance with the same company as it would make it more convenient for me. They also have our life insurance And some investments.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It was easy to get our policy and money when we had our wreck. It was painful and MetLife Auto worked with us thru everything and never quit and just helped us thru it all. That was cool. However, you have to go thru so much to get a check from insurance. So many questions you have to answer, too many forms you have to have signed and get signed. It was crazy being hurt running all over the place getting papers signed. But I understood that. The overall experience with MetLife Auto was decent. It was affordable and we got what we wanted in the end.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I was involved in a car accident with a MetLife policyholder. He was at fault. It has been three weeks since the car accident, and my car STILL has not been looked at. The liability is pending even though they received the police report 9 days ago. My car is unable to be driven and I have had to rent a car and pay out of pocket because of the pending liability. I have called the agent assigned to the claim SEVERAL times, left messages, and NEVER received a call back... NOT ONCE! NEVER EVER insure your car with MetLife. They have the worst customer service.

Original review: May 29, 2018

MetLife Auto is reliable and well known. This company provides and are relying on their reputation in the United States. Besides I trust my agent and he choose it. However, I would like that the information I need would be easily accessible in a web page so I can see, track or change options or coverage during the time my policy is in force. Should be able to see what other coverage is available to me and add it at any time. I also would like it to be more detailed in their specs for my coverage. I would have liked to be able to personally contact them too but it is not that easy.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The process of purchasing was easy. Just select the coverage options that you want, and the price you are willing to pay. Low cost premiums, easy payment options, good coverage and good selections in policy options. Also, you can print your ID cards on a printer right off the website. However, it's hard to reach a real person to talk with when I'm having difficulties making payments or anything in general. I would change this to better serve those that need help using the online service options.

Original review: May 28, 2018

MetLife Auto was a great deal for what we needed at that time. Very affordable for the lowest insurance required by law. I would have liked to get a bit more coverage than states minimum but like all the rest of the companies... we just couldn't afford it. Need a low income or plan for the disabled that could offer them a bit more. Nevertheless, it was a very quick process and policy is easy to acquire. Great customer service, and helpful friendly staff, made for a much better experience and they made you feel like they cared.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I'm low income. And I've called several insurance companies to get a quote and they all cost an arm an a leg and required a payment up front! With MetLife I was able to pay later and only had to pay $80 a month. Which was the cheapest policy I found and most reliable. The agent also helped me with secret discounts. They gave me an extra discount just for me being a single mother attending college. I was also able to get my insurance card right in my email and didn't have to wait for my information to come in the mail.

Original review: May 27, 2018

They are sponsored by my job so purchasing was easy. And has a good price for full coverage. Payments are taken out of my checks so I never ever have to worry about them. It is very convenient that they work with me as well as my company with payments and cover any incidents. I've been with MetLife for a few years and it's working for me so far. But one would think after being a good driver and having low mileage they could help you out a little bit at least. My price never goes down even though I'm a good driver and have low mileage. Also, they should make payments lower for long term customers.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My experience with Met Life was one of the easiest I can think of. The salesman came to my house and was a very sweet little man who wore a sweater vest and had the quietest voice. He sat and explained my policy to where I had no questions left to ask. He was very knowledgeable about his business. He became a quick family friend and we are still in touch today. He was always quick to call me or come when I needed him. And when I did have a claim, it was handled quickly and very easily. My policy included glass with no deductible. I like that I could call and pay over the phone. But there were no offices locally. If we needed to go to the office, we had to drive at least 60 miles to get there. Other than that I was highly satisfied.

Original review: May 26, 2018

It's been very easy to purchase a policy from MetLife Auto. My husband and I like that the service is offered at a discounted rate through my husband's employer and comes out of his paycheck instead of having to pay a lump sum. But more information about the program should be provided as well as mailing policy updates to policyholders.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had to change policies when I moved. I went to an insurance agent to help find the best deal for me. I like that MetLife Auto was the lowest cost for same quality of insurance. The phone app seems to be helpful though I have not had to use it. However, I would like them to give money back when insurance is not used. Other than that, I had a good experience.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I am very happy with the decision I made to change from Allstate because Metlife insurance has better coverage and gave me so much more for my money such as multiple discounts because I was purchasing the insurance thru my job, allowing me to save on my policy and get more perks as well, and my insurance is cheaper. I never have to worry about being late because it comes directly out of my paycheck. And Met life has added roadside assistance and a rental car service if needed. Purchasing the policy was done over the phone, the rep was so nice and helpful. She took her time to explain exactly what each area of the policy meant and she even managed to sign up for rental insurance for the property in my apartment just in case something might happen, a few weeks later the hurricane hit Houston.

Original review: May 25, 2018

MetLife Auto has the best prices for their policies and provides great service. I'm very impressed with the company, as it makes the customer feel like they are important. MetLife Auto is very easy to work with and they are very friendly and good at building rapport with its customers. When purchasing my auto insurance they went over different coverages that they offered and gave me information to help me decide what would be the best option for me. My policy includes towing which is important to me since I am a single mother. I also receive a discount on my policy through my work. However, I dislike Metlife Auto's website. The website seems very outdated. It would be more efficient if the website was easier to use. But other than that, my overall experience with MetLife Auto has been great.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I feel more comfortable with MetLife Auto in comparison to some generic insurance companies. Case in point when my husband got into a car accident they were very attentive right away. A larger company means you have better options. In contrast, a bigger company often means a larger price. It is a bit pricey but that's to be expected that we added our teenage son to the policy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

MetLife Auto has great customer service when I needed it. I like the roadside assistance and the fact that someone else is covered even if I'm not the one driving. If I have an issue I know where to call to resolve it. Usually they understand what is going on when I call and they find a solution pretty quickly. The purchasing process was easy, fast and personalized. They tailored the plan to fit my individual needs, they asked questions to understand the amount of driving and what my needs were in terms of coverage so that I would not be overpaying.

Original review: May 24, 2018

MetLife Auto is a trustworthy and very reputable company. The agency that I purchased my automobile insurance from was very knowledgeable and courteous. MetLife's rates are a little higher than most, but, they more than make up for it in quality of service to the policyholder. When I had an accident, they were very quick in their response and I received a check in a short periods of time.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My payments started at 120/month and for no reason at all went up to 360/month. I had no claims or accidents while with them and no explanation as to why. Bad customer service, there is no actual number to call and talk to anyone on the phone. The only to communicate with anyone is through chat (which barely works) and Facebook. Awful and unprofessional.

Original review: May 23, 2018

They offer payroll deductions with most employers. Payments were reasonable and they were taken every paycheck and it was never a bother. While on payroll it was a fantastic experience. But when I lost my job due to it closing, they asked for huge payments and when payments were incomplete or late they threatened cancellation.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I wish MetLife would have had a way to sign up online, but the customer service agents were friendly and helpful. Once I called in and got set up, I was able to communicate directly with someone through email. I had a claim as well and they were prompt about paying it once it was submitted to them. I also like that they offered payroll deduction through my employer. But they were very pricey compared to my previous policy. Although MetLife offered a discount through my employer, they were still high priced compared to other companies.

MetLife Auto Company Information