Find the Best Match

MetLife Auto
3.43/5

MetLife Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

316 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The worst company to deal with imaginable! No way to change your Visa or MC online. You MUST call them, then either mail in a form, or fax them a form with all of your info HANDWRITTEN. After 4 phone calls, and 4 online attempts to find out if they had corrected our (already submitted) info, we gave up. NEVER do business with MetLife!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

MetLife MyDirect is different than MetLife Auto. When you purchase a policy online, you are funneled into the MyDirect pool of clientele. A policy with MyDirect is 100% digital - if you call their customer service line, you speak to a call center in another country. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they indicate one will call you back in 24-48 hours. It's been over 48 hours, no call. The representatives are able to 'help' you by reading their prompts, no more.

I paid-in-full a 6 month policy. 2 months later I see online that an additional $66 will be deducted from my account. I was never notified this - I had to log on to my account and find out for myself. I called the 'customer service' line and was told that they check 3rd party driving records and update my premium price. That's fine, but why wasn't I notified? And, moreover, committed to over one month of a high rate? I asked to cancel my policy on the spot. The rep said that he couldn't tell me what the refund would be until the cancellation was complete. This was also scammy! What if I wouldn't be pro-rated the correct amount? I asked to speak to a supervisor, and as mentioned, it's been over 48 hours. No call.

I called back, fed up, and asked to cancel my policy. They had no problem doing this. I was told I'd be pro-rated an amount that reflected the higher premium. Which, water under the bridge. I don't care anymore, I just want my money back and a different insurer. WELL, nowhere on my account online does it say my refund amount. It says 'policy canceled,' and it ALSO still says "pending transaction of $66."

So I had to call back AGAIN to figure out what was going on. They said that I will see the refund to my checking account in 7-10 business days. I said, "Well I don't see that on my account." The rep said that it's because the system is updating, and currently says "payment not used." So I asked, "Oh, it doesn't say refund?" and he replied, "No, the system is updating." Frustrating. This doesn't make sense to me. Any other business will provide that information immediately. I asked for the rep to email me everything he just explained. He said, "I don't have access to email. You purchased an online-only policy." Extremely frustrating AND suspicious.

I logged into my account this AM, over 24 hours after initiating the cancellation. Still no mentioning of a refund. Still notifies of upcoming payment of $66. I'm going to call my bank to have them dispute the charge. Moreover, I'm suspicious that I will see the refund in 7-10 business days... Whereby I will pursue further action.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased auto insurance from this company under the impression my monthly payments would be around 195 a month from the initial quote. As a driver under 25, that was the best I could find in AZ. Only to get to the purchasing part and find out it goes up to 250 a month due to an accident that I was not involved in. I sent my driving records to the underwriters and waited almost two weeks before I was told the accident is still valid and refused to change it. Managers do not call back and the underwriters don't take calls. Horrible waste of my time and my money and would never recommend.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been with MetLife Auto and Home for over 20 years. I recently got into an auto accident where I rolled into a truck at a red light. There was no damage to the truck and $1000.00 damage to my 4Runner, which I paid for out-of-pocket. The guy I hit agreed there was no damage to his truck and waved it off. I took pictures anyhow. He filed a claim for body injuries of $9000. MetLife didn't try to fight it at all. They asked me to forward pictures and my bill for the repairs to my car. Then they doubled my insurance.

When I called to inquire they asked me rudely why I was calling the person who called me to ask me for the pictures and copy of repairs and told me he was not handling my claim any longer. Then told me that I had gotten into an accident and the claimant had obtained a lawyer and was currently getting medical treatment. When I asked why they wouldn't fight the obviously false claim they just said that I had hit him. They were so rude! I canceled my policy and I will never use them again. I guess being a loyal customer for over 20 years means nothing to them! Do not buy this insurance - they are the worst! Agents are rude.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I recently had to switch my policy off of an existing policy that was coming out of my bank account. I was told the policy wouldn't change until a certain date because I already had paid for my prior month. Today I called to change my insurance to a different company, and was told they are still going to charge me for the upcoming month because apparently they charge for time that has already passed even though I have never missed a payment. Then they proceed to tell me that they issued a refund for my prior insurance, but it went to my ex because his name was never removed off of the previous policy, even though the money came out of my sole bank account and any refunds were supposed to come to me. So now I am double charged for this coming month because of my new and old insurance are taking money out. Beyond disappointed with this company and glad they will no longer be receiving my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have had MET for auto insurance for 5 years. The last year they provided great customer service and were very responsive with consistent answers. Then there were changes. You could not get a Representative on the phone and when you did, it was outsourced and you could not understand the person and the information they provided was incorrect. On the last call, I spoke with someone in India. The one before then was Central America. You have to be truly bilingual. My cost is about $1400 per year. Recently wanted to add a used 2nd car. Called for a quote. They wanted $4,4300 for both cars. HAHA! And there is no reliable public transportation in Orlando, FL.

There was nothing unusual about the cars or the coverage. It was average coverage. I have never had an accident, never a ticket and I have lived in the same place for 5 years. So I got other quotes and changed to AAA Progressive. Called to cancel the policy and I got all kinds of crazy answers... I would have to pay them the last month which was paid... Every Rep gave me a different answer. I questioned whether they would actually cancel the policy. This is truly a horrible company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I had been paying about $1600 a year for my car insurance and I just assumed that's what collision insurance costs in New York, plus I had a minor fender bender years ago. Recently I bought a new car and they increased my insurance cost to over $2000 per year, so I finally looked into other companies. Progressive offered me the same exact coverage for $900 per year... I double and triple checked and yeah. I was being ripped off by MetLife. Switching to Progressive was super easy, but ending my policy with MetLife - yikes. It took several phone calls, dropped transfers, an email that was sent to the wrong address because the person on the phone didn't care to make sure they had the right address, I had to mail them a form, and they still messed it up.

I got a bill for almost a year's worth of coverage, instead of the half a month I actually owed. So incompetent. So this led to more phone calls, the customer service rep didn't even acknowledge how ridiculous this bill was, just told me the amount I actually owed, and when I went to pay it online, of course their online payment service was not working. Another phone call, at a snail's pace, and I finally paid my last bill to MetLife. That company needs to move into the current millennium.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Did not renew auto policy for July, 2018 and yet they charged my credit card. Now, after speaking with several people, was told to send an e-mail to request to cancel. Email was ignored, so I sent another, and response was: "You must show proof of a new policy, elsewhere, or that your registration has been handed in

or we will not backdate your request." This has been a nightmare, and no one cares to assist. I am not sharing personal information about another auto policy; it is none of their business with whom I have auto insurance. Thankfully, my credit card company has disputed the charge and I filed a complaint with the BBB, and will pursue legal action, if necessary.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I am an attorney and very upset. My rates are going up twenty percent. I was in the Stop and Shop store on Jan 1, 2016. My car was hit. MET hired former police officer would not accept my version. Have not been in an accident for over twenty years. Can't find RI insurance who will insure 1986 Alda Romeo Spider. Please

help.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My car was broken into and as a result it was a write-off. That was in April. It's July and I have no car and no settlement. They made me an offer a month ago and it was low in my opinion so I ask for the backup data they used to make the offer (my legal right to have). The comps they attested too were bogus. One comp was a wrecked car in Manitoba, Canada that was sold at an auction. The other had no info except a phone number that was in Santa Barbara 200 miles away. They claimed the comp was in California City. Nice, might as well been with the other one in Canada. No verifiable info supplied, just the year and a phone number, really? They asked me to prove the mileage on the car by drive down to the body shop and taking a picture of the dash. Is that protocol? They apparently don't do that during the inspection process.

California law says this was suppose to be settled in 30 days. I hoped to get an email every 30 days. It is now passing 4 months. I have not heard from the adjuster in since June 29th. It is July 20th. As mentioned, I asked for the data on the comps and I believe in my opinion the supplied ones were bunk, so now they are scratching their heads on what to do. What throw more bogus fraudulent data my way. Here is the scoop in all. I am married to an insurance defense lawyer who in the past has worked for MetLife. My entire 9 sibling family is in the auto business. I have had several earfuls of advise.

Even after 4 plus months I haven't pursued the normal course of action and sued them. Was raised with the morals of "don't chase after bad money 'cause it prevents you from making good money." At least that is how I was raised to believe. If I was not well off and that was my only car I would have had to cave in and do whatever they told me to do regardless of the number being right or wrong.

Nevertheless, I have my car at a shop and the storage bill is 120 days in. Figure 50.00 a day and I now owe 6000 on that. Not far off from what they offered me for the car. MetLife cut me off on the storage after 40 days or so. Said they would tow it to some other place they had. Would you let someone tow your car away without knowing if you are getting paid for it or not. Why pay these guys for "acting in bad faith" insurance. Yes they are easy to sign up with but what do you get. Ripped off. The worst part is they use CCC-One for their evaluation on right offs. Google in lawsuits under CCC-One and you will see what you need to see. An endless list of complaints. Oh, almost forgot, they raised my rate 500+ without even paying out on the claim. Nice... What about this personal attention and care they claim as their motto. So, I am just going to go out and buy a new car this week and let the cards fall where they may.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am kind of stuck with MetLife Auto at the moment. I paid over $4000 last year and didn't need to use it once. I pay over $300 a month for nothing. If I need a tow, they don't cover it. I am only with them because it's offered at my wife's job. They need to add towing and some kind of loyal customer incentive would be wonderful. I will be changing auto insurance but unfortunately I have to save up to do so. I honestly can't afford the down payment these other companies want. I am actively looking for another company that I can afford the down payment, so until then I'm stuck.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I did an online quote with MetLife for my son and answered every question accurately. With him being 19 the rate quoted online was $320 per month. This is high but almost expected for his age. However, when we called the company to set up the policy the rate jumped to $527 per month. The agent on the phone used the exact information provided on the website and came up with this entirely different quote. They would not budge on this so of course we went elsewhere. However, this is a huge waste of time and borders on false advertising by MetLife. I would avoid this dishonest company and go with someone else.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I've only had insurance with them for one month. The process of purchasing my car insurance was fairly simple and only took 30 minutes tops. They asked a few questions and pair you up with something that best suits you. I like that it comes directly out of my check weekly and I received a discount because of one of my jobs. As soon as my social security number was entered it popped up with my job and the discounts I could receive.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I enjoyed the plan and the customer service at MetLife. I was able to have this plan payroll deducted. This plan offered glass coverage with an inexpensive deductible. In addition, everytime I called the customer service was excellent. However, while I had great coverage, they did not offer a comparable price in my state. It was 2 times higher. And I was able to save over half my payment by switching. Also, it wasn't easy to monitor my plan online since it had an employer discount. I had to call every time.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The MetLife Auto policy was very easy to purchase and it's cheaper to purchase through them than other companies. The company also lets you pick your deductibles and your coverage. Furthermore, I like that they auto draft the payment out of my checking account and they split it so I pay a portion of the payment every other week. This is easier for me to budget out of my account. While I had a very nice experience, I was needing to change my vehicle on my policy one time and I could not contact anyone after regular business hours nor could I change my policy online using my phone. I had to wait until the next day and log in at work and change my vehicle. Website was hard at first to get it to accept the change. I had to do the chance about 3 times before it took.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the ease of online and by-phone customer service and MetLife Auto's truly affordable rates. However, I would like more local agencies that would allow for face to face customer service. Even so, it was all so easy and user-friendly, which is crucial for this busy gal! My experiences have been very satisfactory. I would freely recommend this company for any and all insurance needs.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Purchasing my current auto insurance policy at MetLife was quick and easy. It was altogether a pleasurable experience. The agent was friendly and helpful without being pushy or irritating. Furthermore, the insurance policy is less expensive through this insurance company that I had with my last insurance company, yet the coverage is equal to if not better than my last policy through the other company. MetLife has been good and I am very satisfied with them at the moment.

Original review: June 1, 2018

MetLife Auto is good. It provides plenty of reliable resources. They have good medical and full coverage package which makes me feel safe. The monthly cost is manageable and they offer a good student discount. Reaching out to a claims rep was easy and they work at a fast pace so I always manage to find help. The keep me in the loop about the progress of a claims and keeps me inform about policy changes. When I had my accident they work with me right away and inform of things I needed. They also made sure others who were in my care are also covered or protected. However, the repetitive paperwork when it comes to an accident needs to stop. They are sending the same the same letters over and over again. I once got a letter every week for 6 months letting me know that my case is still pending and should have answers soon. Please just call personally or leave a voicemail.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Metlife offers many options for vehicles, home, such as motorcycle, boat, cars, homeowner's and renter's property and belongings. They also offer other features for travel as well. However, they could improve upon response time and make service more personal. I want to feel I am the only one. I have always been treated fairly in any services I have requested or any claims I may have had to process. They have made me feel I am the only one who matters.

Original review: May 31, 2018

MetLife Auto is pretty affordable and they give me what I need when I get into a wreck or anything. They've got me covered. I had gotten into a wreck not too long ago and they really helped me get through that. Sometimes people are a little rude over the phone, but just be nice and they'll get you what you need. I was able to do the purchasing process over the phone. Not a very long wait or anything. But you have to pay a down payment so I'd save for that cause it can get pretty expensive. But it's not too bad and it works for me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Purchasing from MetLife Auto was a great experience, fast and easy! They were right on the ball and did not try to sell me anything I did not want. I did not feel pressured! Or overwhelming. It includes my rental insurance and we get a great rate and more coverage! Customer service is great, helps with claims in a timely matter. A variety of plans to choose from. They need better communication when it comes to payment options, policy changes, local office or branches would be extremely awesome and would make it a lot easier to make payments. And would make life a little easier.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchasing my policy from MetLife Auto was good experience. Always able to get a live agent and treated with respect. Agents usually able to answer questions with one call and they offer to do extra things like checking on the insurance accounts to make sure that they are all current. Payroll deduction was available which is a big advantage to me. I don't have to be vigilant about due date or amount due. I am very pleased with the service and the policy's coverages. If they can't answer my questions they will not put me on hold. They will research the answers and give you an answer at a time convenient to you. I would like to have my home insurance with the same company as it would make it more convenient for me. They also have our life insurance And some investments.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It was easy to get our policy and money when we had our wreck. It was painful and MetLife Auto worked with us thru everything and never quit and just helped us thru it all. That was cool. However, you have to go thru so much to get a check from insurance. So many questions you have to answer, too many forms you have to have signed and get signed. It was crazy being hurt running all over the place getting papers signed. But I understood that. The overall experience with MetLife Auto was decent. It was affordable and we got what we wanted in the end.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I was involved in a car accident with a MetLife policyholder. He was at fault. It has been three weeks since the car accident, and my car STILL has not been looked at. The liability is pending even though they received the police report 9 days ago. My car is unable to be driven and I have had to rent a car and pay out of pocket because of the pending liability. I have called the agent assigned to the claim SEVERAL times, left messages, and NEVER received a call back... NOT ONCE! NEVER EVER insure your car with MetLife. They have the worst customer service.

Original review: May 29, 2018

MetLife Auto is reliable and well known. This company provides and are relying on their reputation in the United States. Besides I trust my agent and he choose it. However, I would like that the information I need would be easily accessible in a web page so I can see, track or change options or coverage during the time my policy is in force. Should be able to see what other coverage is available to me and add it at any time. I also would like it to be more detailed in their specs for my coverage. I would have liked to be able to personally contact them too but it is not that easy.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The process of purchasing was easy. Just select the coverage options that you want, and the price you are willing to pay. Low cost premiums, easy payment options, good coverage and good selections in policy options. Also, you can print your ID cards on a printer right off the website. However, it's hard to reach a real person to talk with when I'm having difficulties making payments or anything in general. I would change this to better serve those that need help using the online service options.

Original review: May 28, 2018

MetLife Auto was a great deal for what we needed at that time. Very affordable for the lowest insurance required by law. I would have liked to get a bit more coverage than states minimum but like all the rest of the companies... we just couldn't afford it. Need a low income or plan for the disabled that could offer them a bit more. Nevertheless, it was a very quick process and policy is easy to acquire. Great customer service, and helpful friendly staff, made for a much better experience and they made you feel like they cared.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I'm low income. And I've called several insurance companies to get a quote and they all cost an arm an a leg and required a payment up front! With MetLife I was able to pay later and only had to pay $80 a month. Which was the cheapest policy I found and most reliable. The agent also helped me with secret discounts. They gave me an extra discount just for me being a single mother attending college. I was also able to get my insurance card right in my email and didn't have to wait for my information to come in the mail.

Original review: May 27, 2018

They are sponsored by my job so purchasing was easy. And has a good price for full coverage. Payments are taken out of my checks so I never ever have to worry about them. It is very convenient that they work with me as well as my company with payments and cover any incidents. I've been with MetLife for a few years and it's working for me so far. But one would think after being a good driver and having low mileage they could help you out a little bit at least. My price never goes down even though I'm a good driver and have low mileage. Also, they should make payments lower for long term customers.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My experience with Met Life was one of the easiest I can think of. The salesman came to my house and was a very sweet little man who wore a sweater vest and had the quietest voice. He sat and explained my policy to where I had no questions left to ask. He was very knowledgeable about his business. He became a quick family friend and we are still in touch today. He was always quick to call me or come when I needed him. And when I did have a claim, it was handled quickly and very easily. My policy included glass with no deductible. I like that I could call and pay over the phone. But there were no offices locally. If we needed to go to the office, we had to drive at least 60 miles to get there. Other than that I was highly satisfied.

MetLife Auto Company Information