Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
MetLife Auto
2.65/5

MetLife Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

MetLife Gallery (4)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Solid financial strength
  • Discounts on defensive driving, superior driving, good student, mature driver, controlled mileage and car safety features
  • 150 years in the insurance industry
  • Excellent rates on group discounts
  • Features mobile apps, such as MyDirect, MetLife CARE program, My Journey app and MetLife US app
  • Savings on deductibles
  • Gap coverage, custom sound system replacement, no deductible on glass repairs, legal defense costs and identity protection services

CONS

• Occasional mobile apps issues
  • Relatively higher prices than competitors

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

344 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 1, 2019

I switched from Geico to MeLife with a sibling for auto insurance, needless to say, it was a HUGE mistake. I had an accident and disputed the Claims Adjuster's finding. My claims Adjuster was Suzanne (ext **), initially she was very nice and professional when taking my statement. Once I informed her I disputed her findings, it was like pulling teeth to speak with a Supervisor. Her direct Supervisor was Allen or Allan (ext **) who did a great job of playing phone tag, purposely avoiding my calls/voicemails for an entire week! After leaving detailed messages of my work hours and best time to call, he did the exact opposite. Calling after business hours (his work hours) knowing I was at work and couldn't reach him back.

Finally after some push back with both Debbie and Susan (CSR reps) I spoke to Andy (ext **), his condescending tone assured me I was dealing with a company who could care less. All they're interested in is collecting their premiums. I also work in the Insurance industry and are familiar with how claims are handled and I found myself dumb founded by Andy's scripted replies. I honestly couldn't tell if he was a live person or an automated system.

Understanding the process with investigating that goes into claim handling, it's very imperative to provide all detailed information and that it's also factored in. We are all consumers and expect to get exceptional service given the money we spend for products. It's both upsetting and insulting to know that this company that advertises so much about providing the best rates and service are the most unprofessional and inconsiderate. Their slogan should acknowledge how much of an inconvenience they cause customers.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have never written a review before but if I could rate 0 I would. I switched from Geico to MetLife back in Aug because the rates were great. However in Nov when I switched bank accounts I provided all the details I could in advance. Since then my account has been messed up. First they charged the wrong bank account. I tried to fix that and they overcharged not only the amount but on the wrong day to my new account resulting in a fee. Tried to get that fixed and since then they continue to try to cancel my insurance, won't fix the rate. My Rep who once tried to assist now won't take my calls or text messages. It has been over a month since I heard from anyone. I tried to just bypass my Rep and get it resolved with billing only to be told I can ONLY fix it with my Rep and that my insurance was indeed cancelled.

Now they want me to pay way over the amount due because they changed my plan to a Direct plan (without my knowledge or permission) to re-establish my insurance. I told them I could provide phone call logs and text messages showing I have been trying to resolve on my side since Nov. Unfortunately that doesn't matter to them. Pay over the amount owed or be driving without insurance because of course now it will be more difficult to change companies showing a lapse. I wish I never changed from Geico. In my 25 years driving I have never experienced anything like this with an insurance company and I have used several. If you are considering to save a few bucks by switching to MetLife you might want to reconsider as in the end you might end up paying more.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have full coverage with collision and hit a deer. I had one of their adjusters come and do an estimate. Then all of a sudden I get an investigator trying to get a hold of me regarding the claim. They are trying to get out of paying for the damages. They have used excuses and since then I have had to retain an attorney to get my vehicle fixed. I pay my premium every month without a problem. I feel victimized by the way they have made me feel. They are making me feel like I have done something wrong. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had an accident in an older truck with full coverage. MetLife had me get an estimate and I did, which they rejected. Because my truck is an 2001 they claim it is older and will not replace parts with like original and are using aftermarket parts to fix it. I did not expect this with the high premium I have taken from a payroll deduction each week. Needless to say I will be changing ins. companies very soon. If I am going to get cheap coverage I might as well have a cheaper premium as well. After all insurance companies are a dime a dozen. Hopefully this will be helpful to others shopping for auto ins. Sincerely unsatisfied in MO.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had a car accident. Was not my fault. The other person was at fault. I was at the light. I was injured. I had a concussion. When I was on the phone with them for an hour or two who knows to get insurance before I got off the lot. When I got the truck I was totally covered. We are trying to get the recording from that day because they are saying I only had State minimum. I had full coverage - uninsured, underinsured, comprehensive and collision and they're saying they will not pay for anything but the other party that hit me is paying me what they had because they were at fault and they admitted it.

But my pain and suffering on top of my bills were over the state minimum but my underinsured with MetLife refuses to pay. It is not fair and I need to get something done about it. They rake you out of your money. I've got plenty of proof with my bank statements. They paid my rental car. They paid for the totaled car but they will not pay me for my pain and suffering and the rest of my bills. What do you do. Go to Channel 6 news and where else!!! I would literally give no stars. I'm paying for an accident that was not my fault and I was sitting at a light and I'm still suffering from it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was in an auto accident with one of their clients back this past December and their client was at fault and admitted fault and was on the police report so I figured quick easy deal. Just pay me for my truck and all I wanted was enough to replace my truck but MetLife has got 7 estimates. Wow can you believe that? 7 on my truck and most of them was for about 3000.00. I only got 1600.00 just a tad over have because they want me to take half the blame when their client admitted fault. I am a handicapped person and my truck was in great shape and I relied on that truck but this is how the insurance company treats you so in the long run do that run from this company.

They are greedy rich folks who don't care about you or anything except that green dollar!!!! And by any means don't let it be their client's fault and admit it either! I should have taken them to small claims court so their clients could see how they treat them and others! Run people. There are a lot if auto insurance companies out there but not these people!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've had MetLife for a year now, and the only reason I initially got it was because I could get it discounted through my employer. When I changed jobs, I decided to keep MetLife and pay for it on my own, which was the worst insurance decision I've EVER made. I've been on the phone with MetLife multiple times over the past six months, and I've never gotten the same answer to my issues. While their customer service employees are respectful, none of them have given me the same answer twice and few seem to be knowledgeable. Because of their inconsistencies and lack of following protocol, my license is now suspended and I owe money I don't have to collection at no fault of my own. In addition, there is no option to manage your account online! It's 2019. Who spends the money sending paper communications, when everything could be kept in one spot online? I cannot wait to switch to a cheaper insurance that can actually meet my needs.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My payment was due on 11/23. On 11/25 I received a letter via email stating that my payment was late and I needed to pay $55.70 by 12/11 or my policy was gonna be canceled. Mind you at the bottom of the letter it says late fee charge $0.00. So on 12/8 I pay $56. On 12/12 my policy was canceled. I called and the rep stated that it was a error and reinstated my policy. Told me that my next payment was due 12/24 for $80.66.

Okay, so on 12/23 I went online to make my payment it stated my amount due was $77.70. I pay $78. After I paid the $78 it stated that I stilled owed $23. I called and they said it was the late fee charge from my November payment. I said I understand but the letter stated $0.00 in late fee charges and my amount due was $55.70. She went on to tell me that its a one day grace period and after that the late fee is applied. I said once again I understand that, the letter was generated on 11/25 which is 2 days past my due date and after my grace period and at the bottom it states late fee charge $0.00. She went on to say they charged me the late fee after they sent the letter.I went on to say I wanted to speak to a supervisor which she said they would call me back and they never did!! I also emailed them still no response! Now I was late back on 8/23. On 8/25 when they sent my letter of late payment it said late fee charge $25 and my amount due was $80.66.

Fast forward to 11/23. On 11/25 it stated $0.00 in late fees. On 12/26 I received another email stating that I was late for that $23 and at the bottom it said late fee charge $25 lol and my amount due was $48. I said they are full of it and I'm not paying them $23 for a late fee that was clearly stated on the letter I didn't have to pay and I for sure is not paying an additional $25 late fee for not paying the $23. On 1/4/2019 I canceling my policy with them. Worst company ever.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

On November 2, 2018, I was hit in the rear by a man driving a truck while I was not moving in the parking lot of Burger King. This individual went to his Agent and told them that I was driving in the wrong direction. My mistake? Believing him when he apologized for hitting me and not calling the police to get a report. We exchanged papers and he admitted that he was at fault, so I'm thinking that he was an honorable person, there is no need to call the police. Wrong! MetLife took my claim, sent me to get an estimate and canceled my policy three weeks later. I still haven't heard any type of resolution on my claim, and at this point, I do not expect to.

I logged on to pay my December payment and noticed that my policy was canceled. I never received any type of notification. When I called to inquire as to why my policy was canceled the agent first told me that I did not pay in November. When I told him he was incorrect and that my bank statement would prove this, he redirected, stating that I did not pay $700.00. At this point, I am very confused because my payments have never been that high. I went onto my Account Management Portal and noticed that there was a letter dated October 18th stating that my policy was increasing to $716.00. This was not there before and I have proof and because I keep very good records of every correspondence from them along with screenshots of my Management Portal.

I wrote a letter of dispute and today, I received a letter from the DMV stating that they informed them that I have no insurance. So, they took my payments in October, November and now my policy is canceled in December. I am pretty sure it's because of the claim and the fact that they don't know anything about how to protect their insured against other insurance companies such as State Farm. They just don't want to be bothered if there is a claim and they have to actually do some real work. So, I get rear-ended, my car is damaged, I make a claim expecting my insurance company MetLife to help me recover the damages and now I am uninsured. I would never advise anyone to use MetLife AT ALL! Just go the other direction because there are other auto insurance agencies that are far better and cost far less.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Omg...I wish I would have read the reviews before wasting my time on this insurance company. The agent that gave me my plan was nowhere to be heard from when I needed him. That is until I threatened to go to another company. Even then it was by email not phone. Left many messages and still nothing. When I would talk to someone they had no idea of what I was talking about because he never left any notes or whatever. Very disappointed with them. Glad we got out early. Could not imagine if it was a emergency... Please do your homework. Thank you...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My husband and I have had our 3 vehicles insured through MetLife for 16 years. During that time we have had 0 accidents, 0 tickets, 1 new windshield claim and no other claims. Also, I have never made a late payment FOR 16 YEARS!!! This month, with the holidays & lots of other personal things going on, I missed my payment. My policy was cancelled when I was 2 weeks late. As soon as I realized (3 days after cancellation) I called to reinstate & pay my monthly premium. To my surprise I was told that there was a note on our policy, from the underwriter, stating if there is ever a late payment my policy should be cancelled & not eligible for reinstatement!

Two 40 somethings, with advanced degrees, perfect driving records & no history of late payments were declined a policy with no reason given as to why. We are incredibly low risk. However, this ended up being a blessing in disguise. I was able to get much better coverage (100,000/300,000 vs 25,000/50,000, $500 deductible vs $1,000 deductible, 30,000/60,000 uninsured motorist vs 15,000/30,000) for about $550 less per year, through a reputable company, despite 16 years of customer loyalty with MetLife. Do yourself a favor & go elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased an auto insurance, somehow no one can help me find the policy for me to cancel it. It took few mins for Geico to help me and get me a way better deal. I should not have wasted my day on these creeps. Even with employer group coverage they were quoting me more and with less coverage options. Please close your business if you can do what you need to do.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I had my homeowners and auto policy with MetLife. A storm came through and the roof was damaged on the house. I filed a claim and had the repairs made. Metlife would not accept the receipt from the repair person as proof that the roof was repaired so they indicated they were going to cancel my homeowners. Therefore I found another insurance company to cover all of my policies. I sent in my cancellation notices and proof of insurance with the other company. Metlife continued to bill my account for my auto insurance for over a year.

I have been requesting a refund and cancellation of my auto insurance for over a year. The auto insurance expired in September so they stopped billing me but they have yet to refund the money that they kept taking out of my account after I canceled my policy with them. Every time I call they have a different reason for not refunding my money. The last two calls they indicated that they did receive proper notification and cancellation and they are working on the refund. As of a year later, I have yet to receive my refund.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have been with MetLife Auto insurance for OVER 20 years and have never had a problem with their service. The people are knowledgeable, responsive, and easy to reach. The problem I have is a feeling of being totally ripped off. In my complacency I never did a price comparison. In all those years I have had two accidents neither that was my fault. The first I was hit from behind barely moving along in rush hour traffic, by a doctor who was on his phone. The 2nd, I was coming home after being released from work due to the snow storm. This time I was hit by a truck who kept tailgating, operator again on his phone, and he totaled my car.

So I have an EXCELLENT driver's record over these past 2 decades - no speeding or parking tickets, either. I drive a 2004 Honda Civic, so it's not like I have a Mercedes. One day in a conversation with an 77 year old friend/horrible driver (her car is COVERED with scrapes and huge dents) I discovered she was paying less than half of what I was with the same coverage!!! I brought this to MetLife's attention and they kindly informed me that they cannot price match. This means for years, probably decades, I've been paying double for not having looked around to compare. I'm truly upset. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

As of this date, I have been waiting FOUR weeks to receive a copy of my 1099 for 2016 for tax purposes. I have been told THREE times that it had been mailed, most recently two weeks ago. I do not live on Mars. This cannot be a delay. These agents are lying to me. Next stop, MetLife CEO Steven Kandarian.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I had MetLife for a long time and I really enjoyed this company. So I would definitely recommend them. They were always helpful and good priced. The only reason we had to change is because they don't cover the area in which we are living now.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Metlife Insurance has been great for me and my family so far. While I haven't had to file any claims yet, I have only received positive customer service from adding or removing a vehicle from my policy. Plus, they offer a wide variety of discounts to keep your premiums extremely affordable and their level of coverage is on par with any other auto insurer out there. Although I have had Metlife for several years, my premiums have barely increased. I have been very pleased with Metlife so far as well as my local insurance agent, and I will continue to use them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am pretty happy with MetLife as my auto insurance company. My only complaints are the premiums are too high, we have never had any moving violations, any accidents, any claims on the policy, and yet the policy price goes down pennies every year. We've been with them almost 10 years! My other complaint is that their website is often down, very frustrating when I am trying to pay my premium!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I like the coverage at MetLife Auto, but it's so-so. I've seen rate-creep happen with them on all my policies. I had my auto lapse with them due to issues communicating and they were pretty unhelpful. They make it hard to access the site at times and I've had issues with receiving notifications.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had this insurer and my experiences with them were good. Whenever I had a claim, everything was taken care of with no hiccups or obstacles. The rates were par for the course as far as insurance goes.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have an auto policy with MetLife, and I have had nothing but trouble since I had to cancel the business side of the policy. You see, I was laid off from my job in 2017 and did not need business on my car anymore. I called to cancel it and discovered that I needed to backdate it to when I was laid off. I had the adjustment for 2018, and was waiting for the rest to be backdated and adjusted. Sometime while I was waiting my policy was canceled completely and I didn't realize this until I received a letter from DMV! Ever since then it has been a nightmare!

Every agent I have spoken to gives me different stories. I received two checks that were verified on the phone, but apparently were not verified, because MetLife wants the money back. After long periods on the phone with MetLife, I finally got my policy reinstated. I still owe the money back. Two agents that were suppose to call me back never did. I have been threatened to have my policy canceled again. I have lost trust with their customer service completely, since I get different information all the time and blind transferred and cut off. I was told other agents I talked to were wrong. I am ready to go to the BBB! Don't get MetLife Auto!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My car was vandalized 3 weeks ago and I was told they were doing a coverage investigation!!! Car still not repaired and haven’t heard a word!! I spoke with the investigator and gave him all the information I could to assist him with his investigation and I still haven’t heard anything!!! Any suggestions??

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I supplied MetLife/Kristen ** (Total Loss Adjuster) with all documentation associated the accident. Included in paperwork to MetLife Auto was: A payoff statement, tow fee, lot storage fees. My car was picked up from storage yard without them paying me/bank for it. My rental was cut off by Met and I was told that they would not cover it any more even though I had not been reimbursed for anything. My own insurance agent, Aaron ** - Allstate, got involved and they apologized and they were supposed to overnight a check which then took 4 more days.

When the check arrived, it only covered the estimate for the car. This check was written to me and not the bank which I felt was incorrect. They did not include tow fees nor lot storage fees. It has now been a month since the accident but I only received the check on Sat. Sept. 30. I have tried to contact them multiple times. My own insurance agent has tried to contact not only the Total Loss Adjuster but upper management multiple times. Every time we get pushed to voicemail and we have left messages that are never returned. My insurance agent has also emailed them with no response.

It has been now 8 days since I received the check with no responses from any person at MetLife Auto. I cannot deposit the check that they have given me as it is listed as a "Settlement Check". I am on a deadline to get this car out of my name before I have to make more payments on it. I have to submit the check stub to my GAP Insurance so that I may get this resolved. They are preventing me from moving forward with anything and costing me more money with daily accruing interest on this loan.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Stephanie was assigned to me as an adjuster following my accident that recently happened. I am insured through Metlife but was hit by a company vehicle that has another insurance policy and the claim was taking forever to get started. I filed with my insurance company, Metlife, just so they can know what happened, even though I wasn't at fault.

For one, Stephanie NEVER contacted me after 2 weeks of filing that claim. I finally called her to get their take on the incident and to see if I could at least get a rental through my insurance and the other company could pick it up. She never asked, "Are you ok," never took a statement or anything! The 1st thing she said was, "You don't have a rental on your coverage," which I already knew but what was the purpose of me even having to file a claim with you all. I added the roadside assistance and thought that the rental was a part of that. I just wanted to see if they could help me in any way get things moving. Instead of her being empathetic or giving me any additional options that I could take, even referring to add the rental to the policy, she just was rude and nasty. I didn't even want to talk to her after that! I understand that my insurance wasn't at fault but they do encourage you to let your insurance know if an accident happens.

It was just the worse experience. You are an adjuster but can't help at all? Just brush me off and tell me to contact them when clearly I couldn't. This kind of stuff is important to customers. We pay insurance to cover incidents like this but having to go through a serious accident on the highway, thankful to be alive, and the call the people that suppose to be on your side just to be treated that way. Why are you an adjuster if you can't do or say anything to help in situations like this? I wish they could've gave me someone else!

Talking to her was a waste of time. They give these positions to some of the worse people! Lord. Only thing they care about is money but being sincere or empathetic to a deadly situation goes a lonnggg way! Stephanie, you need a reality check. Everything is not given to you and the people that work hard for what they get and could have lost everything due to a deadly accident deserves to be treated with more respect. Especially when you work in a field to deal with those types of people every day! Lord.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Called and got a verbal quote of $3000 for multiple policies, auto and home. My son had an accident but I gave them all information and they pulled it from a database anyway, nothing was hidden. When the bill came it was more than $8000! I called to cancel the day I received the bill, they said they would not bill me for it due to their mistake but weeks later they deducted entire month payment from my paycheck (at the higher rate). They would not return my calls until I posted on BBB and contacted Illinois attorney general's office. They promised to overnight me a check to repay but a full week later and no check from them. They just lie and lie and string you out and this is how they treat a new customer. Imagine if you actually needed to file a claim. They are a complete nightmare, stay as far away from MetLife as you can.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

This company is a very bad company. They will lie to you about their rates. They will go and take money out of your payroll without your consent. They will just increase your rates and when you call the customer service no one will be able to explain you nothing. I was with them. I cancel my policy with them and they still went and still keep on deducted money on my payroll without my consent. This company is a scam. Don’t make any business with MetLife. My rates was $94 a week for 2 cars jump to $308.64 every week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been with MetLife for a few years and just received my renewal policy and it went up 25%. Have had no claims, tickets and credit score is excellent. When I contacted them they didn't make any attempt to retain me and just said they would cancel my insurance on the date it expires. As a prior business owner I understand that customer retaining a customer is your best income stream and it cost a lot to get new customers. Very disappointed in MetLife and I would not have canceled or even shopped for a new provider if they had not increased my premiums. Just stupid in my book and I found another company that is even less with a higher rating so my gain and their loss.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The worst company to deal with imaginable! No way to change your Visa or MC online. You MUST call them, then either mail in a form, or fax them a form with all of your info HANDWRITTEN. After 4 phone calls, and 4 online attempts to find out if they had corrected our (already submitted) info, we gave up. NEVER do business with MetLife!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

MetLife MyDirect is different than MetLife Auto. When you purchase a policy online, you are funneled into the MyDirect pool of clientele. A policy with MyDirect is 100% digital - if you call their customer service line, you speak to a call center in another country. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they indicate one will call you back in 24-48 hours. It's been over 48 hours, no call. The representatives are able to 'help' you by reading their prompts, no more.

I paid-in-full a 6 month policy. 2 months later I see online that an additional $66 will be deducted from my account. I was never notified this - I had to log on to my account and find out for myself. I called the 'customer service' line and was told that they check 3rd party driving records and update my premium price. That's fine, but why wasn't I notified? And, moreover, committed to over one month of a high rate? I asked to cancel my policy on the spot. The rep said that he couldn't tell me what the refund would be until the cancellation was complete. This was also scammy! What if I wouldn't be pro-rated the correct amount? I asked to speak to a supervisor, and as mentioned, it's been over 48 hours. No call.

I called back, fed up, and asked to cancel my policy. They had no problem doing this. I was told I'd be pro-rated an amount that reflected the higher premium. Which, water under the bridge. I don't care anymore, I just want my money back and a different insurer. WELL, nowhere on my account online does it say my refund amount. It says 'policy canceled,' and it ALSO still says "pending transaction of $66."

So I had to call back AGAIN to figure out what was going on. They said that I will see the refund to my checking account in 7-10 business days. I said, "Well I don't see that on my account." The rep said that it's because the system is updating, and currently says "payment not used." So I asked, "Oh, it doesn't say refund?" and he replied, "No, the system is updating." Frustrating. This doesn't make sense to me. Any other business will provide that information immediately. I asked for the rep to email me everything he just explained. He said, "I don't have access to email. You purchased an online-only policy." Extremely frustrating AND suspicious.

I logged into my account this AM, over 24 hours after initiating the cancellation. Still no mentioning of a refund. Still notifies of upcoming payment of $66. I'm going to call my bank to have them dispute the charge. Moreover, I'm suspicious that I will see the refund in 7-10 business days... Whereby I will pursue further action.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased auto insurance from this company under the impression my monthly payments would be around 195 a month from the initial quote. As a driver under 25, that was the best I could find in AZ. Only to get to the purchasing part and find out it goes up to 250 a month due to an accident that I was not involved in. I sent my driving records to the underwriters and waited almost two weeks before I was told the accident is still valid and refused to change it. Managers do not call back and the underwriters don't take calls. Horrible waste of my time and my money and would never recommend.

MetLife Auto Company Information