Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
MetLife Auto
1.45/5

MetLife Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

MetLife Gallery (4)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Solid financial strength
  • Discounts on defensive driving, superior driving, good student, mature driver, controlled mileage and car safety features
  • 150 years in the insurance industry
  • Excellent rates on group discounts
  • Features mobile apps, such as MyDirect, MetLife CARE program, My Journey app and MetLife US app
  • Savings on deductibles
  • Gap coverage, custom sound system replacement, no deductible on glass repairs, legal defense costs and identity protection services

CONS

• Occasional mobile apps issues
  • Relatively higher prices than competitors

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

357 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 22, 2019

I made the mistake of changing from MetLife auto insurance to Progressive; big mistake! MetLife is on their game; Progressive is a rip off. I putting this in so no one else make the same mistake I did. I actually thought MetLife was only California insurance, so I changed before talking to MetLife. MetLife is the most helpful insurance company. When you have questions or need another copy of your insurance card they will email it so you can just print it out. They even helped me out when someone was claiming I hit their car at my apartment building; MetLife adjuster came out and proved that I did not hit their car. They really do back up their clients. I am changing back to them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I had MetLife for a long time and I really enjoyed this company. So I would definitely recommend them. They were always helpful and good priced. The only reason we had to change is because they don't cover the area in which we are living now.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Metlife Insurance has been great for me and my family so far. While I haven't had to file any claims yet, I have only received positive customer service from adding or removing a vehicle from my policy. Plus, they offer a wide variety of discounts to keep your premiums extremely affordable and their level of coverage is on par with any other auto insurer out there. Although I have had Metlife for several years, my premiums have barely increased. I have been very pleased with Metlife so far as well as my local insurance agent, and I will continue to use them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am pretty happy with MetLife as my auto insurance company. My only complaints are the premiums are too high, we have never had any moving violations, any accidents, any claims on the policy, and yet the policy price goes down pennies every year. We've been with them almost 10 years! My other complaint is that their website is often down, very frustrating when I am trying to pay my premium!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had this insurer and my experiences with them were good. Whenever I had a claim, everything was taken care of with no hiccups or obstacles. The rates were par for the course as far as insurance goes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: July 13, 2019

I was involved in a accident with one of MetLife clients back in May, he was at-fault. We received a check for the car but when it comes to my pain and suffering and lost wages which I had to miss work for my injury, I have YET to hear anything. The medical facilities and ambulance services have contacted me and I was wondering WHY, considering I have sent in all medical authorization forms to MetLife to take care of this issue.

When I contact the insurance adjuster handling this claim, she NEVER have ANYTHING to say about the claim thus far. She hasn’t sent in not one form, that I do know. She act like she have just put my claim on the back burner until she gets ready but it shouldn’t be that way considering that you take these people premiums out ON TIME to cover things such as this if it comes to it. I don’t want to involve a attorney but sometimes things like this make you act out that serious. People if I was you, I would shop somewhere else for insurance before even giving MetLife a chance!! I pray my insurance company doesn’t be this way if I need them.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I would not recommend this company for a couple of reasons. My policy was canceled three days after the due date. When I redid the application, the premium almost doubled. After the first payment it tripled from the original amount. When I filed a claim with them, they did not investigate as the true meaning of the word. They just went by my statement and that’s all. Yes, the premium was cheap at first but I got what I paid for... Dime store service.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My whole experience with MetLife Auto was a disaster. First I switched in November 2018. We bought a car in December of 2018 and spent hours at the dealership trying to add my new car to my policy. The rep was rude and said I’m an online customer and I need to do all this online which wasn’t working because their site sucks. In May I was late by two weeks and they sent me a bill for the full amount. I called and paid the late balance and the next month of June. I went online to pay my bill and my account said canceled for lack of payment. Called today which took forever only to be told they canceled me for 36.00 that wasn’t paid.

I tried to explain to them that when I paid the last time the only option it would give me would to pay the whole policy which doesn’t end until October or pay a standard payment which I did. Please do yourself a favor and don’t go with a company that will just shut you off and leave you for days without having insurance. If I would have been in a car accident I would of been in a lot of trouble. Save your peace of mind and go with a more reputable car insurance company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Trying to upload a copy of DR. Lic online. No place to do & No one answers phone timely. After 4 tries finally got Rep. Was told could not help with online issues. Transferred to another Rep. SAME BS. Could not help with online issues. Over 1 hour of my life will not get back. You forgot INS companies are a dime a dozen. Screw this. I will get INS from another company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Metlife offered discounts through my job. I tried it out. It was the worse thing I could have ever done. I gave the rep. all my info. We went over it. I got a good quote. Cheaper than my current insurance. Two months later I realized the rep. entered my wife's daughter on the policy (26yrs old) instead of my daughter (19 yrs old). I emailed the rep. and supervisors to get this looked at and changed. No one called or emailed me back for weeks.

I finally got a hold of someone and they made the change and my insurance went 250 bucks more a month. I clearly stated my daughter's name and her info at the start. MetLife knew their rep. had made a big mistake because they told me they had addressed the rep. The recorded phone conversation confirmed everything. They told me there was nothing they could do for me. No apologies, no nothing. Instead of paying extra 250 a month. I left them immediately. I would not recommend MetLife to anyone! Don't do it. Thanks, Tony

Original review: May 14, 2019

I’m sorry but MetLife was the worst possible insurance I could have ever gotten and would never get it again. I had a “good quote” because of the agent who helped me, by the name of Michael **, entered my information wrong, even after receiving a photocopy, A CLEAR SCAN, of my driver license. He was no help whatsoever. I tried calling him multiple times to figure out how my insurance went from 220 to 400 dollars, only to find out HE entered my information wrong. So I called Geico RSA right away to get back with my insurance and cancel my policy with MetLife. Now, I didn’t get ANY information about my policy after securing it in the beginning of December of 2018. No mail about my policy till two months later, and I had no recurring mail about payments needed to be made or any policy updates whatsoever.

I had to keep calling, and get transferred from from call to call to call because no one in MetLife is capable of helping and have the worst customer service whatsoever. Since Michael ** was not returning my calls, I had to get in contact with a supervisor Vickie **, who was no help whatsoever as well. The first call with her was great, she said she would take care of the policy and make sure we would not owe any sort of payment. Great, I thought! Well, she lied. Not only is she ignoring my calls as well, the payment was still the same and it also went to CREDIT COLLECTION. Piss, poor customer service. I was extremely livid that I had to pay MetLife, especially so I wouldn’t get a mark on my credit. The only person who was helpful was Cynthia, who helped me get my confirmation number and receipt of the payment. Stay away, they do not care about their customers.

Original review: May 7, 2019

In December 2018 I secured an auto policy from MetLife for my 2015 and 2007 cars. My driving and accident record are clean. I was quoted a monthly premium of $253. I was told that they do automatic billing at the end of the month, rather than at the time of purchase. I then authorized the auto bill. When the billing came through my premium charged was changed to $573 a month, not the $253 quoted. I immediately called but could not get anyone to address this charge or correct. I then switched to Progressive, which offered a $264 comparable monthly price to what was originally quoted by MetLife. I took the Progressive Policy.

I then filed a BBB complaint in Michigan, where the insurance was secured in an attempt to get me a refund of the $319 overcharge. The BBB Complaint was moved to the New York BBB Offices, where MetLife Corporate Offices apparently are. To avoid any further frustrations and complications the BBB Complaint was now creating with it having moved to NY, I decided to take the hit and absorb the added cost MetLife charged. I had moved on. I had good insurance with Progressive and I did not have the time to deal with the overcharge any longer.

However, I did feel that the actions by MetLife were fraudulent inasmuch as there was no authorization to charge me the increased cost. The agent could have contacted me regarding a change but did not. I would have refused the increased premium and never went with MetLife Auto Insurance. After all, who in their right mind would pay nearly $600 per month for car insurance on a three year old car and with a good driving record.

Now, it is May 2019, and strange as it may be, I get a Collection Notice on behalf of MetLife telling me that I have an outstanding balance with them and owe an additional $686 for the brief time between the cancellation of the policy and the end of the over-billed month's term. Are you kidding me! I cannot imagine that I am the only customer that MetLife has quoted a price; gotten authorization to bill after the month; and then unilaterally altered the price and charged more.

Pretty interesting strategy that company has because when you dispute the increased charge, you get nowhere. Everyone has amnesia. And no one has authorization to fix. And, try to find a complaint resolution forum. I've tried and basically it's been like too sad, too bad. I will NEVER, EVER use MetLife Auto Insurance. Someday I anticipate a Class Action for conduct like this. It is so horrible and disruptive. Shame on you MetLife Auto.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Ok. I work for an airline so I get a "discount" for bundling and having it payroll deduction... I got into an accident over 3 years ago, nothing major... They jacked up my insurance for 3 years peaking at over $430 a month. I've paid over $15000 over that time... Mind you NOT ONCE have I EVER got into an accident so I figured after 3 years, my insurance would drop.. Yeah it dropped a whole $23 a month. So I called a month ago and told them to cancel my policy effective April 28. The guy LIED and told me that the April 5th payment would come out and and the 19th I would be billed for. I still had the deduction come out AND got a bill for some balance.

This company lies and will rip you off. DO NOT get a policy from them. So within 10 days I'll have paid $190 to MetLife and have to come up with another $200 to start another policy. Absolute ridiculous way of doing business. Lying to their clients and ripping them off. NEVER AGAIN will I use MetLife. Sad that I have them as my dental insurance. Not my choice though.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have recently moved from CT to CA and have had my home and auto through Metlife for past 8 years. All I wanted to do was switch same coverages from one state to the other with no coverage adjustments. It has now been a month and they still have things all messed up with me calling in at least twice a week. Each time I call it's at least 1 hour minimum if not 2 hours between the waiting to actually talk to a human. They still after a month have me covered and billed in both states! Is it really that difficult to transfer a policy?? I am writing this review while I am on hold...again...waiting for a representative for past 40 minutes.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I started a home and auto policy on March 4th. I qualified for no money down so I took it being I get a discount thru my employer. They took a chunk of money from my bank account that they weren’t supposed to take until April 1st. They kept saying they were sending a refund overnight FedEx which never came over and over. They lie and take people’s money and don’t own up to the mistakes. I bet people have a hard time with claims. I cancelled today and will be filing a complaint with my employer against them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

First, your company gave our agent the wrong policy number and we did not discover the error until the NJ DMV sent a letter stating they were going to suspend the registration and then the license. We call MetLife and a CSR apologized and promised she would send, electronically, a message to the NJ DMV to alert them of the error in the policy number and that the insurance was all paid up to date. She then emailed me a copy of the ID cards to show proof of the correct policy number.

I called today and after 20 minutes on hold was connected to a very rude unprofessional CSR who I inquired about verification on 10 different items and then told me she had to transfer me because that was not her dept. I said, "Fine just transfer me" and she starting yelling at me to let her finish and I tried to interject that since she could not assist me just transfer me. So of course she did not. BY the time I tried to call back the MetLife office was closed at 4:15 PM! I will have all of our auto insurance transferred for all 8 cars. We are done with MetLife... obviously the hierarchy must be a reflection of their CSRs.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I switched from Geico to MeLife with a sibling for auto insurance, needless to say, it was a HUGE mistake. I had an accident and disputed the Claims Adjuster's finding. My claims Adjuster was Suzanne (ext **), initially she was very nice and professional when taking my statement. Once I informed her I disputed her findings, it was like pulling teeth to speak with a Supervisor. Her direct Supervisor was Allen or Allan (ext **) who did a great job of playing phone tag, purposely avoiding my calls/voicemails for an entire week! After leaving detailed messages of my work hours and best time to call, he did the exact opposite. Calling after business hours (his work hours) knowing I was at work and couldn't reach him back.

Finally after some push back with both Debbie and Susan (CSR reps) I spoke to Andy (ext **), his condescending tone assured me I was dealing with a company who could care less. All they're interested in is collecting their premiums. I also work in the Insurance industry and are familiar with how claims are handled and I found myself dumb founded by Andy's scripted replies. I honestly couldn't tell if he was a live person or an automated system.

Understanding the process with investigating that goes into claim handling, it's very imperative to provide all detailed information and that it's also factored in. We are all consumers and expect to get exceptional service given the money we spend for products. It's both upsetting and insulting to know that this company that advertises so much about providing the best rates and service are the most unprofessional and inconsiderate. Their slogan should acknowledge how much of an inconvenience they cause customers.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have never written a review before but if I could rate 0 I would. I switched from Geico to MetLife back in Aug because the rates were great. However in Nov when I switched bank accounts I provided all the details I could in advance. Since then my account has been messed up. First they charged the wrong bank account. I tried to fix that and they overcharged not only the amount but on the wrong day to my new account resulting in a fee. Tried to get that fixed and since then they continue to try to cancel my insurance, won't fix the rate. My Rep who once tried to assist now won't take my calls or text messages. It has been over a month since I heard from anyone. I tried to just bypass my Rep and get it resolved with billing only to be told I can ONLY fix it with my Rep and that my insurance was indeed cancelled.

Now they want me to pay way over the amount due because they changed my plan to a Direct plan (without my knowledge or permission) to re-establish my insurance. I told them I could provide phone call logs and text messages showing I have been trying to resolve on my side since Nov. Unfortunately that doesn't matter to them. Pay over the amount owed or be driving without insurance because of course now it will be more difficult to change companies showing a lapse. I wish I never changed from Geico. In my 25 years driving I have never experienced anything like this with an insurance company and I have used several. If you are considering to save a few bucks by switching to MetLife you might want to reconsider as in the end you might end up paying more.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have full coverage with collision and hit a deer. I had one of their adjusters come and do an estimate. Then all of a sudden I get an investigator trying to get a hold of me regarding the claim. They are trying to get out of paying for the damages. They have used excuses and since then I have had to retain an attorney to get my vehicle fixed. I pay my premium every month without a problem. I feel victimized by the way they have made me feel. They are making me feel like I have done something wrong. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had an accident in an older truck with full coverage. MetLife had me get an estimate and I did, which they rejected. Because my truck is an 2001 they claim it is older and will not replace parts with like original and are using aftermarket parts to fix it. I did not expect this with the high premium I have taken from a payroll deduction each week. Needless to say I will be changing ins. companies very soon. If I am going to get cheap coverage I might as well have a cheaper premium as well. After all insurance companies are a dime a dozen. Hopefully this will be helpful to others shopping for auto ins. Sincerely unsatisfied in MO.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had a car accident. Was not my fault. The other person was at fault. I was at the light. I was injured. I had a concussion. When I was on the phone with them for an hour or two who knows to get insurance before I got off the lot. When I got the truck I was totally covered. We are trying to get the recording from that day because they are saying I only had State minimum. I had full coverage - uninsured, underinsured, comprehensive and collision and they're saying they will not pay for anything but the other party that hit me is paying me what they had because they were at fault and they admitted it.

But my pain and suffering on top of my bills were over the state minimum but my underinsured with MetLife refuses to pay. It is not fair and I need to get something done about it. They rake you out of your money. I've got plenty of proof with my bank statements. They paid my rental car. They paid for the totaled car but they will not pay me for my pain and suffering and the rest of my bills. What do you do. Go to Channel 6 news and where else!!! I would literally give no stars. I'm paying for an accident that was not my fault and I was sitting at a light and I'm still suffering from it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was in an auto accident with one of their clients back this past December and their client was at fault and admitted fault and was on the police report so I figured quick easy deal. Just pay me for my truck and all I wanted was enough to replace my truck but MetLife has got 7 estimates. Wow can you believe that? 7 on my truck and most of them was for about 3000.00. I only got 1600.00 just a tad over have because they want me to take half the blame when their client admitted fault. I am a handicapped person and my truck was in great shape and I relied on that truck but this is how the insurance company treats you so in the long run do that run from this company.

They are greedy rich folks who don't care about you or anything except that green dollar!!!! And by any means don't let it be their client's fault and admit it either! I should have taken them to small claims court so their clients could see how they treat them and others! Run people. There are a lot if auto insurance companies out there but not these people!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My daughter was driving straight on 3 lane road, she had the right of way, Police report indicates. MetLife's driver hit her on the left side, pulling out across. They are only wanting to pay 80%. They are saying my daughter did nothing to avoid their driver hitting her. What was she supposed to do, hit another car or the curve? She was driving STRAIGHT with right of way. The girl hit her out of nowhere. There is NO WAY we should be any way responsible. How are we supposed to fight this. I can file a claim on my insurance policy, pay my deductible, but then I have a claim and my rates go up. This is not acceptable. Filed a complaint with KY Dept. of Insurance 2 weeks ago. I have heard nothing and no phone number to call.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've had MetLife for a year now, and the only reason I initially got it was because I could get it discounted through my employer. When I changed jobs, I decided to keep MetLife and pay for it on my own, which was the worst insurance decision I've EVER made. I've been on the phone with MetLife multiple times over the past six months, and I've never gotten the same answer to my issues. While their customer service employees are respectful, none of them have given me the same answer twice and few seem to be knowledgeable. Because of their inconsistencies and lack of following protocol, my license is now suspended and I owe money I don't have to collection at no fault of my own. In addition, there is no option to manage your account online! It's 2019. Who spends the money sending paper communications, when everything could be kept in one spot online? I cannot wait to switch to a cheaper insurance that can actually meet my needs.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My payment was due on 11/23. On 11/25 I received a letter via email stating that my payment was late and I needed to pay $55.70 by 12/11 or my policy was gonna be canceled. Mind you at the bottom of the letter it says late fee charge $0.00. So on 12/8 I pay $56. On 12/12 my policy was canceled. I called and the rep stated that it was a error and reinstated my policy. Told me that my next payment was due 12/24 for $80.66.

Okay, so on 12/23 I went online to make my payment it stated my amount due was $77.70. I pay $78. After I paid the $78 it stated that I stilled owed $23. I called and they said it was the late fee charge from my November payment. I said I understand but the letter stated $0.00 in late fee charges and my amount due was $55.70. She went on to tell me that its a one day grace period and after that the late fee is applied. I said once again I understand that, the letter was generated on 11/25 which is 2 days past my due date and after my grace period and at the bottom it states late fee charge $0.00. She went on to say they charged me the late fee after they sent the letter.I went on to say I wanted to speak to a supervisor which she said they would call me back and they never did!! I also emailed them still no response! Now I was late back on 8/23. On 8/25 when they sent my letter of late payment it said late fee charge $25 and my amount due was $80.66.

Fast forward to 11/23. On 11/25 it stated $0.00 in late fees. On 12/26 I received another email stating that I was late for that $23 and at the bottom it said late fee charge $25 lol and my amount due was $48. I said they are full of it and I'm not paying them $23 for a late fee that was clearly stated on the letter I didn't have to pay and I for sure is not paying an additional $25 late fee for not paying the $23. On 1/4/2019 I canceling my policy with them. Worst company ever.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

On November 2, 2018, I was hit in the rear by a man driving a truck while I was not moving in the parking lot of Burger King. This individual went to his Agent and told them that I was driving in the wrong direction. My mistake? Believing him when he apologized for hitting me and not calling the police to get a report. We exchanged papers and he admitted that he was at fault, so I'm thinking that he was an honorable person, there is no need to call the police. Wrong! MetLife took my claim, sent me to get an estimate and canceled my policy three weeks later. I still haven't heard any type of resolution on my claim, and at this point, I do not expect to.

I logged on to pay my December payment and noticed that my policy was canceled. I never received any type of notification. When I called to inquire as to why my policy was canceled the agent first told me that I did not pay in November. When I told him he was incorrect and that my bank statement would prove this, he redirected, stating that I did not pay $700.00. At this point, I am very confused because my payments have never been that high. I went onto my Account Management Portal and noticed that there was a letter dated October 18th stating that my policy was increasing to $716.00. This was not there before and I have proof and because I keep very good records of every correspondence from them along with screenshots of my Management Portal.

I wrote a letter of dispute and today, I received a letter from the DMV stating that they informed them that I have no insurance. So, they took my payments in October, November and now my policy is canceled in December. I am pretty sure it's because of the claim and the fact that they don't know anything about how to protect their insured against other insurance companies such as State Farm. They just don't want to be bothered if there is a claim and they have to actually do some real work. So, I get rear-ended, my car is damaged, I make a claim expecting my insurance company MetLife to help me recover the damages and now I am uninsured. I would never advise anyone to use MetLife AT ALL! Just go the other direction because there are other auto insurance agencies that are far better and cost far less.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Omg...I wish I would have read the reviews before wasting my time on this insurance company. The agent that gave me my plan was nowhere to be heard from when I needed him. That is until I threatened to go to another company. Even then it was by email not phone. Left many messages and still nothing. When I would talk to someone they had no idea of what I was talking about because he never left any notes or whatever. Very disappointed with them. Glad we got out early. Could not imagine if it was a emergency... Please do your homework. Thank you...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My husband and I have had our 3 vehicles insured through MetLife for 16 years. During that time we have had 0 accidents, 0 tickets, 1 new windshield claim and no other claims. Also, I have never made a late payment FOR 16 YEARS!!! This month, with the holidays & lots of other personal things going on, I missed my payment. My policy was cancelled when I was 2 weeks late. As soon as I realized (3 days after cancellation) I called to reinstate & pay my monthly premium. To my surprise I was told that there was a note on our policy, from the underwriter, stating if there is ever a late payment my policy should be cancelled & not eligible for reinstatement!

Two 40 somethings, with advanced degrees, perfect driving records & no history of late payments were declined a policy with no reason given as to why. We are incredibly low risk. However, this ended up being a blessing in disguise. I was able to get much better coverage (100,000/300,000 vs 25,000/50,000, $500 deductible vs $1,000 deductible, 30,000/60,000 uninsured motorist vs 15,000/30,000) for about $550 less per year, through a reputable company, despite 16 years of customer loyalty with MetLife. Do yourself a favor & go elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased an auto insurance, somehow no one can help me find the policy for me to cancel it. It took few mins for Geico to help me and get me a way better deal. I should not have wasted my day on these creeps. Even with employer group coverage they were quoting me more and with less coverage options. Please close your business if you can do what you need to do.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I had my homeowners and auto policy with MetLife. A storm came through and the roof was damaged on the house. I filed a claim and had the repairs made. Metlife would not accept the receipt from the repair person as proof that the roof was repaired so they indicated they were going to cancel my homeowners. Therefore I found another insurance company to cover all of my policies. I sent in my cancellation notices and proof of insurance with the other company. Metlife continued to bill my account for my auto insurance for over a year.

I have been requesting a refund and cancellation of my auto insurance for over a year. The auto insurance expired in September so they stopped billing me but they have yet to refund the money that they kept taking out of my account after I canceled my policy with them. Every time I call they have a different reason for not refunding my money. The last two calls they indicated that they did receive proper notification and cancellation and they are working on the refund. As of a year later, I have yet to receive my refund.

MetLife Auto Company Information