MetLife Auto
1.84/5
  • 1 star
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Auto

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

196 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I quoted for my car insurance, MetLife came up that I had 3 accidents that I never had. I called them, (they put me on hold for 20 minutes) they said they got that information from my current insurance company and told me to buy their insurance "as is" then get the letter from my insurance blah, blah, blah... I called my insurance, they pulled my record and said I don't have any accident at all. MetLife is such a shameless liar.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have a janky car and not worth the amount of money to fix so I'm selling and planned on getting new car and returning to MetLife but this company is pressed. Sent paper about insurance inquiry to DMV like no more business for you from me, and will let it be known. I've dealt and switched insurance companies when you the little prices switch and none has ever been that bold\nosey\hate to lose a customer if you will. Kinda sad.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I was in a rear end accident by a MetLife insurer in November 2017. She told me I can have her phone number and insurance card if I can just let her drive her son to school. I called the police and the officer came and wrote a report. My insurance company helped me to contact MetLife Auto insurance and talked to a female representative. She asked me for detailed information about the accident and assigned me to an adjuster. It has been over a month and half already. I called them many times and went to their authorized auto repair place to estimate the damage right after I got the police report.

In addition, four different representatives of my insurance company also called them. One of the representatives actually talked to the adjuster. This representative told me that the MetLife adjuster promised to call the insurer (the adjuster said the insurer never responded the phone before) that day. Even if the insurer doesn’t answer the phone, he (the adjuster) will resolve the claim right away. So far it has been another ten days. The adjuster left a message on my phone today and told me he left a message in the insurer’s answering machine. So the case is still pending after 53 days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased auto insurance through MetLife, I received a quote and paid for the first month. During the first month, my policy went through the underwriter, which I know is normal, however my policy premium went up considerably. I received a notice regarding an increase in premium, and it advised of an effective date of 12/26/17. When I realized the increase in premium was something that I could not afford, I cancelled the policy effective 12/25/17, which was the end of the monthly term that I had prepaid, when I began the policy. MetLife still charged my account for the new monthly term, and I reached out via chat, the representative refused to explain why I was being charged despite me cancelling the policy before the start of the monthly term.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I bought a policy with Metlife Direct online. After getting my new policy I realize that I needed to change the due date. I spoke with the representative and got the due date change done and was told that I had a new policy number. Roughly 15 days later I received an email stating that my policy had canceled and that I no longer had insurance coverage. I called and spoke with the customer representative who said that once the new due date had changed the money from the old policy was not moved with the new policy which meant their policy did not have any payments made on it.

They cancel my policy without even notifying me and I had a lapse in coverage which meant I had a penalty with the DMV. Make sure that you ask all of the questions up front if you are planning to get a policy with this company. It is very hard to get someone on the phone and it is very hard to find a number to the online Department. I hate that I ever moved my insurance. This company is not dependable and it is not reputable. I would advise not using this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This company has a reputation of respect and customer service. They are always available to answer customer questions. What they say is what they do. Even when you have left Allstate and tried another insurance company no others can compare. Allstate has been a trusted insurance company for me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I just spent over an hour on the phone trying to find someone to help me with a log in error. I was transferred 6 times, then on hold for 30 minutes. Then when someone answered they asked what I wanted help with and I said I need help logging in to my MetLife account and they hung up. This is very frustrating and unacceptable. I've had this insurance for some time now and cannot get anyone to help me log in or even, apparently know what they are talking about. My claims agent has been great but the tech log in people are about enough to get me to change my insurance company. This is just such poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My wife was hit by a driver insured by MetLife on 8/26/17. The other driver was 16, totally at fault and admitted that to the police as reported in the crash report. I contacted MetLife claims on Wednesday as they had not yet called me. They had not yet spoken to their insured. All I got was apathy and delays for three and a half weeks before I finally asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke to Nigera **, who showed no patience and was outright hostile. She spoke over me constantly and finally said "We have 30 days to settle any claims and we are not there yet. I don't know why you are upset." I had explained to the original adjuster, Lisa **, that I wanted to get out of the rental car and possibly save them some money, to which she told me to just file with my insurance. The accident was not my wife's fault nor should it be up to my insurer to pay for this.

Lisa also lied on her file notes saying that she called me to let me know that after 3 weeks and 4 days that they had finally accepted liability. She never called to tell me that. I did get a call from their total loss department 5 days later with a terrible offer. I sent her comparable cars and they did bring it up some, but not near enough. Luckily, I have a much better insurance company covering me who gave us a fair offer and I will let them subrogate against MetLife. Not only did my wife lose a car that she loved, we got screwed over by MetLife.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been a faithful MetLife customer with home, auto, boat, and trailer insurance for the past 17 years. I have never been late on a payment and have had a perfect driving record for 31 years and an excellent credit score! I had my first fender bender (less than $5000.00) in total damages and I was dropped one year later by Metlife! The reason was I was now too high of a risk. Really! After 31 years of driving and one minor slow speed bump and MetLife insurance company drops you like a hot potato, not a great experience. I have had no other claims in 17 years at all on any of the policies I've had with Metlife. If you have MetLife insurance now, or are thinking of getting it... I would suggest running away and going elsewhere. They are definitely not a company that will stand behind you for the long term.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

MetLife is extremely disorganized and their wait times to reach customer service agent are unbelievably long. First of all, if you buy an account online, they don't provide the online specific (MyDirect) phone number (800-295-7781 - took me about 3 hours to get this number) and the agents who answer can't find your account number and tell you your account doesn't exist. After I finally found out there was a MyDirect specific number with the only agents who are aware of or can access your account, I was unable to reach any because wait times were too long (45+ minutes), or they were unavailable outside business hours (9-5 pm CST M-F).

In addition to the above, the website is unclear and disorganized and often has glitches that kick you off and you can't access payment history. Further, they do not send you correspondence as to when your payments are due. Lastly, when you respond by email, they do not respond, despite the urgency of your request and their unavailability by phone. I've been insured for 20 years. This is HANDS DOWN the WORST insurance company I have ever used in my life. I will never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

They signed me up for an express it account. Said my payment was going to be around 70. They deducted 300 from my account. Had to prove to them with bank statements that it occurred after 3 weeks of waiting for a supervisor approval then they say it was from a previous account. Never had a previous account. They out and out stole my money and didn't want to issue me a refund then after a month and a half later they tell me "Ok we will issue you a refund but you still owe us the payment and your monthly payment of 70 which was agreed on."

But then they want to increase my payment to justify the amount that was stolen to get keep it when there was no prior account to justify this, basically they steal your money and make up excuses to keep it. Please run as fast as you can. They are thieves and never give them your access to your bank account. They will take whatever, whenever and good luck once they have your money to get it back out an out thieves.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My only reason for switching to MetLife is because the rates were the lowest I could find. Other than that I feel that all insurance companies are the same.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with MetLife has been very pleasant, sometimes rewarding. Would recommend them to anyone. Especially those that have to talk to a machine first.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My experience was awful and I'm not even insured with them the guy the hit me was. He rear ended me as I sustained injuries. I was told because of minimal damage to my work van they will settle for the least amount. I would hate to see what happens for the people that are actually insured with them. They don't return calls. I knew I should have just went with a lawyer to begin with. This is the worst insurance company I've dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This is the worst company ever to deal with. I logged into my online account to complete some document for my policy renewal. There are no documents listed, even though I received 2 emails from them stating I needed to do this. The policy number I entered from the email THEY sent brings an error that says the policy doesn't exist. I tried calling them but was told since I have an "unusual policy" that they could only communicate with me via email... WTH!?? Payments are drafted monthly from my account, the policy has not lapsed, yet I have been locked out of my account that may or may not even exist.

All I wanted to do was check out their nonexistent documents and print a new card. The customer service clowns that I spoke with were both rude. I sent the email to communicate about my policy, actually twice now and asked for a return phone call or email to discuss and have yet to receive a response. So what if I need to make changes or cancel?? COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS and lacking customer service. I wonder if I even have coverage... But no one can communicate that with me. They sure have been taking my money. DO NOT USE THESE fools.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I am taking the time to thank MetLife Corporation for the years of loyalty and protection for our family. We have been clients of MetLife Corporation for more than a decade. Through tough times and good, MetLife have been by our side. I mean there were times that our family did not have the best of blessings. During those moments, without question, MetLife provided superior service to our family. We have worked with everyone from Reps to Directors, each experience and contact was beyond our expectation. The best thing is that MetLife keeps most of their customer-oriented services state-side, which is nice and huge benefit when someone speaks perfect English and will not waste my valuable time. MetLife, you are a world-class organization with a world-class workforce. Thank you and we hope that your success is profound in the coming future.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I first switched to MetLife from Amica because my premiums for two cars one of which no longer needed full coverage was almost $3,000/year and that was with zero accidents. Their explanation was my auto insurance credit rating and that there was a rate increase (I still have homeowners through Amica and don't have any complaints about them than the insane premium). I shopped around and MetLife had the best rate out of companies that I'd be willing to insure with. (Monthly premium went down to about 110/month). Not long after I switched, I wound up in two accidents. The first was a student that went through a stop sign and destroyed my bumper and damaged hood even though I clearly had the right of way.

The second was within the week where I was backing out and another car was backing out and we backed into each other. My car just barely had a scratch in the bumper from the second accident (other car was the same but their car was Brand New so they chose to file a claim so I did let MetLife know so they were prepared to hear from the other insurance company). It was about three weeks before I could bring my car in to get repaired for the first accident (that is how long it took the body shop to get the parts) and the deductible was waived since I wasn't at fault. The other one, MetLife determined fault was 50/50, and offered to repair my car, but as someone that likes to drive my car until they sure, it seemed a water to get such a minor scratch repaired. The following year, my premium actually went down. I was surprised after having two accidents so close in time.

Fast forward a couple years to December 2016. I had just finished paying off the loan of my car a couple months earlier. I was driving home in a snow storm and spun out because of the slippery nature of the road. Luckily I didn't hit anyone else in the process. I ultimately hit the wall on the side of the interstate, the side airbag deployed and my car was no longer operable. Called 911, picked up by ambulance and spent the night in the hospital due to a minor spleen injury. Car was towed. Overnight while I had nothing better to do and couldn't sleep, I called MetLife to file my claim so I could provide the hospital with the claim number, and MetLife arranged to tow the car to a place that won't charge for storage.

It took about three weeks to settle the property damage. The value they came up with was actually higher than I came up with (I was worried they would offer trade in value, they actually offered more than I would've sold my car for in good condition. I did have to get an extension on car rental because of the timing to buy my replacement, I had to have dealership hold my down payment because I didn't actually get the check from MetLife until the day after I purchased the car, but only had the rental until the next day. It worked out fine though. They paid all the medical directly, and while I'm not sure I think that amounted to about it $20k.

My premium didn't change when I got my new car. I just got my renewal and it did go up for the year by about $40/month. That is a nearly $500 increase from last year, but still cheaper than I was paying Amica by nearly $1k/year. I may shop around, but I'm not sure I will find a better deal. I'm not sure why others are having such bad experiences. They have made my claims go smoothly. I hope to not have any more accidents of course, but I'm thankful to have such efficient service.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My daughter (a listed driver on my insurance policy) was plowed into by a driver who ran through a stop sign. After the insurance adjuster examined my vehicle, he considered it to be totaled and estimated that the car was worth $2,000.00 LESS than what I owe on the car loan. I disputed this with my "Claims Rep." who said he would look into it and get back to me. Well he never did. The whole claim was "settled" by them behind the scenes. I didn't even know the claim was closed until I called the place I send my car payments to and I was told they received the settlement check from MetLife and I would still be billed each month for the balance on the loan. Yes I have heard of purchasing "gap" insurance but seriously? MetLife will most certainly recoup all their money (from my loss) by the at fault driver's insurance company. What skin is it off of their nose to reimburse me for my total loss?

Now I am making a car payment each month for one car that is on the road and another car that is sitting in a junk yard! They do NOT have the customers’ best interests at heart and they do NOT work with you. The last time I called (to get an actual person to answer a couple of questions for me regarding some forms they mailed out for my signature), the estimated wait time was 15 MINUTES!!! I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. This accident happened on 01-May-2017 and I am still steaming about the rotten service and treatment they "provided"! I am in the process of changing car insurance companies. It's a bit of a hassle but I know it will be well worth it in the long run to dump this outfit. Another person who wrote in to complain called them shysters! That person is absolutely correct. My advice is to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: July 7, 2017

On 2/11/17 an individual insured by MetLife auto backed into my car causing just under $2000.00 worth of damage. MetLife offered me 50% settlement. Knowing I was not at fault my insurance company sent the claim to impartial arbitration. Today 7/7/17 I was informed that a judge ruled 100% in my favor. I called MetLife to verify this information and when I would be reimbursed. I was told that they have not changed their position and now refuse to pay anything whatsoever. Guess it's time for legal action for a small fender bender. Glad it was not a total loss!

Original review: July 3, 2017

I recently received a few notice of cancellation our auto policy. I assumed it was due to my husband having two accidents within 3 years, though the first one would be very close to being three years old at renewal date. That was not the case. It was because there had been two claims filed, one glass and one collision that I'm still arguing fault on. I worked in auto claims for 8 years and still can not fathom how this claim is considered at fault!

When you're in a newly built subdivision driving that has vehicles on BOTH sides of the roadway and there's a manhole cover in the middle of the road, how are you suppose to go around it? Hit one of the cars on the side of the road, wait till someone decides to leave or better yet go door to door and ask people if they can move their cars so you can drive past without possibly damaging yours? Please! What I suggested to the supervisor was that my husband became Superman so he could be able to pick up car his and carry it over the manhole cover in the roadway that he could drive around because it was in the middle of the road and that was all that was available to drive on due to people parking on the sides of the road. Yeah she got a laugh out of it but I wasn't saying it to be funny, I was saying it to make a point because they were being beyond ridiculous in their decision in the claim.

My husband did even provide pictures granted it was after he got his car home and got mine because that manhole cover did a number on his transmission housing and he couldn't sit around snapping pictures. Our agent has called MetLife to try to get them to work with us about the cancellation and the claim but their agent/customer support staff is absolutely horrible!!! I am now in the process of looking for new auto and probably home insurance too along with filing arbitration on the auto claim due to their finding it at fault.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have absolutely no idea how this company is still in business. I was always under the impression that it was a reputable company, but customer service doesn't even exist. You have to chat or email to contact them. The people that handle the chats lie, and no one ever answers the emails. I've never seen anything like this. Unbelievable!

Original review: June 15, 2017

Had to add daughter to policy due to her turning 18. I have two vehicles and the gentleman that initially set up the policy stated he was going to set my daughter as not non-primary driver because she doesn't drive the vehicles. Upon checking my due date I noticed that they had me listed as a primary for one and my daughter for the other. When I spoke to a customer service agent I was told that the way they have to write the policy because they have two vehicles and two drivers; one driver can't be assigned to both vehicles??? I stated if she assigned as a primary my rate is higher due to her being a new driver. The agent continually stated she can't change it. I ended up canceling the policy.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I've had MetLife for years. Their fees are reasonable and customer service is better than other leading providers. It's a great company but their online and phone customer service could be better.

Original review: June 6, 2017

DO NOT RECOMMEND. They are a horrible company to deal with. Their customer backed up into my car while getting out of a parking space and damages my front bumper and grill. I quickly write down license plate number and make police report. I call MetLife and wait for over half an hour just to get someone on the phone. It took them about over 5/6 months for them to agree to pay for the damages. I take my car to the agreed place so they can fix it and when the day finally comes for them to fix it they CALL me to tell me they aren't fixing anything. Insurance claims their customer said nothing ever happened because their car doesn't have damages... she took back her original statement of admitting fault. Sooo to get out of paying MetLife DENIED THAT AN ACCIDENT EVER even HAPPENED.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Have been insured with them for many years and have a number of claims. Their service was quick and user friendly. Also, their professionalism always stands out. Was involved in a minor accident and the claims process was smooth & quick. My car was repaired in 3 days using a approved repair shop. Adjusters were polite & knowledgeable and check for the repairs came less than a week later.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I have had bi weekly payments coming out of my pay for 2 cars and home insurance. My husband had 2 speeding tickets and we received a cancellation. I was paying them 660 a month just to insure 2 cars and 1800 a year for homeowners insurance. This just doesn't add up. 660 a month for 2 cars? I think they robbed me. This is fraud.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Pissed consumer! This company needs to evaluate their guidelines to be in sync with other companies to compete. The customer service reps were always professional and courteous, but the information and quotes received was always incorrect and totally ridiculous. I am a person who needs to account for every penny and I am over 50 years old and I have an excellent driving record and the quote I received on a used car and not a luxury vehicle made no sense in addition to a renter's policy. Not a happy!

Original review: May 23, 2017

When I called and talked to an agent about a policy for auto insurance, I was quoted $280.33 per month. I was charged $312.55 each month for two months. I called to ask why I was being charged so much and I was told because I chose an 11 month policy??? Why would I want to go uninsured for one month out of the year I am paying for? When I asked to cancel my policy, I was told I am still going to be charged another $49 by the end of the month. I was told before there was no cancellation policy fee. MetLife is unprofessional and absolute liars. I definitely DO NOT recommend MetLife.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Thank god I am not insured by this company! Their claim handling is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. I was involved in an accident with one of their insured's. (MetLife has already accepted liability.)This is going on 3 months already and I have heard from the claims adjuster twice in that time frame. Both communications were because I initiated contact. I have contacted her 3 times but she has only responded to two of them.

They are dragging their feet on settling this claim and I'm pretty sure it's so I get desperate and take their first low ball offer. I don't know about you but this is not the kind of care I expect when paying large amounts of my hard earned money for insurance coverage. Delaying the process is only pushing me to get an attorney. In my experience there are much better insurance companies to be insured with. Think twice before turning over your hard earned money to them.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Is there a NO STAR rating option? A man that has MetLife insurance rear ended me. Was able to call MetLife the day it happened to start a claim. I got 1 phone call from the claim adjuster, Will ** to let me know the claim number and to contact him with questions. I called many times and left message after message for a return phone call. NOT ONE CALL BACK from him. I called to talk to anyone there to give me updates. They all said he is the only one to talk to for that claim. They even said they left him a message to call me. Again, NOTHING.

5 days later after not hearing anything back from MetLife I called and stayed on the phone and insisted on speaking to someone. Anyone that could give me an update. The woman I finally spoke to looked it up and noticed in the notes that it said "waiting for recorded statement" which at that time I recorded that statement with her. I'm glad that I was the one that had to keep trying to get ahold of someone to even get this far. She then tells me she will have Will call me. Again, days go by with no word. 2 weeks after the accident I call and spoke to his supervisor who then tells me that he will look over the file and give me an update the following day. Supervisor calls me and tells me it looks like they have to side with THEIR insured.

What the H!!! 2 weeks to get nothing done! Why couldn't the original claim adjuster, Will **, have called me back to discuss things? I am writing this review 3 weeks after the accident because I received a letter from MetLife/Will **, saying "After a careful review of the facts, we have determined that we cannot pay your damages at this time." Sincerely, Will **. REALLY!!! From Will ** who never returned a phone call. MetLife is a freakin joke! Obviously ignoring phone calls and messages. I see a number of reviews that I am not the only one being treated terribly by MetLife. TERRIBLE COMPANY TO DEAL WITH!!! If you have to deal with MetLife, have a lawyer be on the phone line with you every time. This has been my experience with MetLife Auto.

MetLife Auto Company Information

www.metlife.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use