Compare Quotes and Save

MetLife Auto
3.24/5

MetLife Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

329 MetLife Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

As of this date, I have been waiting FOUR weeks to receive a copy of my 1099 for 2016 for tax purposes. I have been told THREE times that it had been mailed, most recently two weeks ago. I do not live on Mars. This cannot be a delay. These agents are lying to me. Next stop, MetLife CEO Steven Kandarian.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I had MetLife for a long time and I really enjoyed this company. So I would definitely recommend them. They were always helpful and good priced. The only reason we had to change is because they don't cover the area in which we are living now.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Metlife Insurance has been great for me and my family so far. While I haven't had to file any claims yet, I have only received positive customer service from adding or removing a vehicle from my policy. Plus, they offer a wide variety of discounts to keep your premiums extremely affordable and their level of coverage is on par with any other auto insurer out there. Although I have had Metlife for several years, my premiums have barely increased. I have been very pleased with Metlife so far as well as my local insurance agent, and I will continue to use them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am pretty happy with MetLife as my auto insurance company. My only complaints are the premiums are too high, we have never had any moving violations, any accidents, any claims on the policy, and yet the policy price goes down pennies every year. We've been with them almost 10 years! My other complaint is that their website is often down, very frustrating when I am trying to pay my premium!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I like the coverage at MetLife Auto, but it's so-so. I've seen rate-creep happen with them on all my policies. I had my auto lapse with them due to issues communicating and they were pretty unhelpful. They make it hard to access the site at times and I've had issues with receiving notifications.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had this insurer and my experiences with them were good. Whenever I had a claim, everything was taken care of with no hiccups or obstacles. The rates were par for the course as far as insurance goes.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have an auto policy with MetLife, and I have had nothing but trouble since I had to cancel the business side of the policy. You see, I was laid off from my job in 2017 and did not need business on my car anymore. I called to cancel it and discovered that I needed to backdate it to when I was laid off. I had the adjustment for 2018, and was waiting for the rest to be backdated and adjusted. Sometime while I was waiting my policy was canceled completely and I didn't realize this until I received a letter from DMV! Ever since then it has been a nightmare!

Every agent I have spoken to gives me different stories. I received two checks that were verified on the phone, but apparently were not verified, because MetLife wants the money back. After long periods on the phone with MetLife, I finally got my policy reinstated. I still owe the money back. Two agents that were suppose to call me back never did. I have been threatened to have my policy canceled again. I have lost trust with their customer service completely, since I get different information all the time and blind transferred and cut off. I was told other agents I talked to were wrong. I am ready to go to the BBB! Don't get MetLife Auto!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My car was vandalized 3 weeks ago and I was told they were doing a coverage investigation!!! Car still not repaired and haven’t heard a word!! I spoke with the investigator and gave him all the information I could to assist him with his investigation and I still haven’t heard anything!!! Any suggestions??

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I supplied MetLife/Kristen ** (Total Loss Adjuster) with all documentation associated the accident. Included in paperwork to MetLife Auto was: A payoff statement, tow fee, lot storage fees. My car was picked up from storage yard without them paying me/bank for it. My rental was cut off by Met and I was told that they would not cover it any more even though I had not been reimbursed for anything. My own insurance agent, Aaron ** - Allstate, got involved and they apologized and they were supposed to overnight a check which then took 4 more days.

When the check arrived, it only covered the estimate for the car. This check was written to me and not the bank which I felt was incorrect. They did not include tow fees nor lot storage fees. It has now been a month since the accident but I only received the check on Sat. Sept. 30. I have tried to contact them multiple times. My own insurance agent has tried to contact not only the Total Loss Adjuster but upper management multiple times. Every time we get pushed to voicemail and we have left messages that are never returned. My insurance agent has also emailed them with no response.

It has been now 8 days since I received the check with no responses from any person at MetLife Auto. I cannot deposit the check that they have given me as it is listed as a "Settlement Check". I am on a deadline to get this car out of my name before I have to make more payments on it. I have to submit the check stub to my GAP Insurance so that I may get this resolved. They are preventing me from moving forward with anything and costing me more money with daily accruing interest on this loan.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Stephanie was assigned to me as an adjuster following my accident that recently happened. I am insured through Metlife but was hit by a company vehicle that has another insurance policy and the claim was taking forever to get started. I filed with my insurance company, Metlife, just so they can know what happened, even though I wasn't at fault.

For one, Stephanie NEVER contacted me after 2 weeks of filing that claim. I finally called her to get their take on the incident and to see if I could at least get a rental through my insurance and the other company could pick it up. She never asked, "Are you ok," never took a statement or anything! The 1st thing she said was, "You don't have a rental on your coverage," which I already knew but what was the purpose of me even having to file a claim with you all. I added the roadside assistance and thought that the rental was a part of that. I just wanted to see if they could help me in any way get things moving. Instead of her being empathetic or giving me any additional options that I could take, even referring to add the rental to the policy, she just was rude and nasty. I didn't even want to talk to her after that! I understand that my insurance wasn't at fault but they do encourage you to let your insurance know if an accident happens.

It was just the worse experience. You are an adjuster but can't help at all? Just brush me off and tell me to contact them when clearly I couldn't. This kind of stuff is important to customers. We pay insurance to cover incidents like this but having to go through a serious accident on the highway, thankful to be alive, and the call the people that suppose to be on your side just to be treated that way. Why are you an adjuster if you can't do or say anything to help in situations like this? I wish they could've gave me someone else!

Talking to her was a waste of time. They give these positions to some of the worse people! Lord. Only thing they care about is money but being sincere or empathetic to a deadly situation goes a lonnggg way! Stephanie, you need a reality check. Everything is not given to you and the people that work hard for what they get and could have lost everything due to a deadly accident deserves to be treated with more respect. Especially when you work in a field to deal with those types of people every day! Lord.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Called and got a verbal quote of $3000 for multiple policies, auto and home. My son had an accident but I gave them all information and they pulled it from a database anyway, nothing was hidden. When the bill came it was more than $8000! I called to cancel the day I received the bill, they said they would not bill me for it due to their mistake but weeks later they deducted entire month payment from my paycheck (at the higher rate). They would not return my calls until I posted on BBB and contacted Illinois attorney general's office. They promised to overnight me a check to repay but a full week later and no check from them. They just lie and lie and string you out and this is how they treat a new customer. Imagine if you actually needed to file a claim. They are a complete nightmare, stay as far away from MetLife as you can.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

This company is a very bad company. They will lie to you about their rates. They will go and take money out of your payroll without your consent. They will just increase your rates and when you call the customer service no one will be able to explain you nothing. I was with them. I cancel my policy with them and they still went and still keep on deducted money on my payroll without my consent. This company is a scam. Don’t make any business with MetLife. My rates was $94 a week for 2 cars jump to $308.64 every week.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been with MetLife for a few years and just received my renewal policy and it went up 25%. Have had no claims, tickets and credit score is excellent. When I contacted them they didn't make any attempt to retain me and just said they would cancel my insurance on the date it expires. As a prior business owner I understand that customer retaining a customer is your best income stream and it cost a lot to get new customers. Very disappointed in MetLife and I would not have canceled or even shopped for a new provider if they had not increased my premiums. Just stupid in my book and I found another company that is even less with a higher rating so my gain and their loss.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The worst company to deal with imaginable! No way to change your Visa or MC online. You MUST call them, then either mail in a form, or fax them a form with all of your info HANDWRITTEN. After 4 phone calls, and 4 online attempts to find out if they had corrected our (already submitted) info, we gave up. NEVER do business with MetLife!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

MetLife MyDirect is different than MetLife Auto. When you purchase a policy online, you are funneled into the MyDirect pool of clientele. A policy with MyDirect is 100% digital - if you call their customer service line, you speak to a call center in another country. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they indicate one will call you back in 24-48 hours. It's been over 48 hours, no call. The representatives are able to 'help' you by reading their prompts, no more.

I paid-in-full a 6 month policy. 2 months later I see online that an additional $66 will be deducted from my account. I was never notified this - I had to log on to my account and find out for myself. I called the 'customer service' line and was told that they check 3rd party driving records and update my premium price. That's fine, but why wasn't I notified? And, moreover, committed to over one month of a high rate? I asked to cancel my policy on the spot. The rep said that he couldn't tell me what the refund would be until the cancellation was complete. This was also scammy! What if I wouldn't be pro-rated the correct amount? I asked to speak to a supervisor, and as mentioned, it's been over 48 hours. No call.

I called back, fed up, and asked to cancel my policy. They had no problem doing this. I was told I'd be pro-rated an amount that reflected the higher premium. Which, water under the bridge. I don't care anymore, I just want my money back and a different insurer. WELL, nowhere on my account online does it say my refund amount. It says 'policy canceled,' and it ALSO still says "pending transaction of $66."

So I had to call back AGAIN to figure out what was going on. They said that I will see the refund to my checking account in 7-10 business days. I said, "Well I don't see that on my account." The rep said that it's because the system is updating, and currently says "payment not used." So I asked, "Oh, it doesn't say refund?" and he replied, "No, the system is updating." Frustrating. This doesn't make sense to me. Any other business will provide that information immediately. I asked for the rep to email me everything he just explained. He said, "I don't have access to email. You purchased an online-only policy." Extremely frustrating AND suspicious.

I logged into my account this AM, over 24 hours after initiating the cancellation. Still no mentioning of a refund. Still notifies of upcoming payment of $66. I'm going to call my bank to have them dispute the charge. Moreover, I'm suspicious that I will see the refund in 7-10 business days... Whereby I will pursue further action.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased auto insurance from this company under the impression my monthly payments would be around 195 a month from the initial quote. As a driver under 25, that was the best I could find in AZ. Only to get to the purchasing part and find out it goes up to 250 a month due to an accident that I was not involved in. I sent my driving records to the underwriters and waited almost two weeks before I was told the accident is still valid and refused to change it. Managers do not call back and the underwriters don't take calls. Horrible waste of my time and my money and would never recommend.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been with MetLife Auto and Home for over 20 years. I recently got into an auto accident where I rolled into a truck at a red light. There was no damage to the truck and $1000.00 damage to my 4Runner, which I paid for out-of-pocket. The guy I hit agreed there was no damage to his truck and waved it off. I took pictures anyhow. He filed a claim for body injuries of $9000. MetLife didn't try to fight it at all. They asked me to forward pictures and my bill for the repairs to my car. Then they doubled my insurance.

When I called to inquire they asked me rudely why I was calling the person who called me to ask me for the pictures and copy of repairs and told me he was not handling my claim any longer. Then told me that I had gotten into an accident and the claimant had obtained a lawyer and was currently getting medical treatment. When I asked why they wouldn't fight the obviously false claim they just said that I had hit him. They were so rude! I canceled my policy and I will never use them again. I guess being a loyal customer for over 20 years means nothing to them! Do not buy this insurance - they are the worst! Agents are rude.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I recently had to switch my policy off of an existing policy that was coming out of my bank account. I was told the policy wouldn't change until a certain date because I already had paid for my prior month. Today I called to change my insurance to a different company, and was told they are still going to charge me for the upcoming month because apparently they charge for time that has already passed even though I have never missed a payment. Then they proceed to tell me that they issued a refund for my prior insurance, but it went to my ex because his name was never removed off of the previous policy, even though the money came out of my sole bank account and any refunds were supposed to come to me. So now I am double charged for this coming month because of my new and old insurance are taking money out. Beyond disappointed with this company and glad they will no longer be receiving my money.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have had MET for auto insurance for 5 years. The last year they provided great customer service and were very responsive with consistent answers. Then there were changes. You could not get a Representative on the phone and when you did, it was outsourced and you could not understand the person and the information they provided was incorrect. On the last call, I spoke with someone in India. The one before then was Central America. You have to be truly bilingual. My cost is about $1400 per year. Recently wanted to add a used 2nd car. Called for a quote. They wanted $4,4300 for both cars. HAHA! And there is no reliable public transportation in Orlando, FL.

There was nothing unusual about the cars or the coverage. It was average coverage. I have never had an accident, never a ticket and I have lived in the same place for 5 years. So I got other quotes and changed to AAA Progressive. Called to cancel the policy and I got all kinds of crazy answers... I would have to pay them the last month which was paid... Every Rep gave me a different answer. I questioned whether they would actually cancel the policy. This is truly a horrible company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I had been paying about $1600 a year for my car insurance and I just assumed that's what collision insurance costs in New York, plus I had a minor fender bender years ago. Recently I bought a new car and they increased my insurance cost to over $2000 per year, so I finally looked into other companies. Progressive offered me the same exact coverage for $900 per year... I double and triple checked and yeah. I was being ripped off by MetLife. Switching to Progressive was super easy, but ending my policy with MetLife - yikes. It took several phone calls, dropped transfers, an email that was sent to the wrong address because the person on the phone didn't care to make sure they had the right address, I had to mail them a form, and they still messed it up.

I got a bill for almost a year's worth of coverage, instead of the half a month I actually owed. So incompetent. So this led to more phone calls, the customer service rep didn't even acknowledge how ridiculous this bill was, just told me the amount I actually owed, and when I went to pay it online, of course their online payment service was not working. Another phone call, at a snail's pace, and I finally paid my last bill to MetLife. That company needs to move into the current millennium.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Did not renew auto policy for July, 2018 and yet they charged my credit card. Now, after speaking with several people, was told to send an e-mail to request to cancel. Email was ignored, so I sent another, and response was: "You must show proof of a new policy, elsewhere, or that your registration has been handed in

or we will not backdate your request." This has been a nightmare, and no one cares to assist. I am not sharing personal information about another auto policy; it is none of their business with whom I have auto insurance. Thankfully, my credit card company has disputed the charge and I filed a complaint with the BBB, and will pursue legal action, if necessary.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I am an attorney and very upset. My rates are going up twenty percent. I was in the Stop and Shop store on Jan 1, 2016. My car was hit. MET hired former police officer would not accept my version. Have not been in an accident for over twenty years. Can't find RI insurance who will insure 1986 Alda Romeo Spider. Please

help.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My car was broken into and as a result it was a write-off. That was in April. It's July and I have no car and no settlement. They made me an offer a month ago and it was low in my opinion so I ask for the backup data they used to make the offer (my legal right to have). The comps they attested too were bogus. One comp was a wrecked car in Manitoba, Canada that was sold at an auction. The other had no info except a phone number that was in Santa Barbara 200 miles away. They claimed the comp was in California City. Nice, might as well been with the other one in Canada. No verifiable info supplied, just the year and a phone number, really? They asked me to prove the mileage on the car by drive down to the body shop and taking a picture of the dash. Is that protocol? They apparently don't do that during the inspection process.

California law says this was suppose to be settled in 30 days. I hoped to get an email every 30 days. It is now passing 4 months. I have not heard from the adjuster in since June 29th. It is July 20th. As mentioned, I asked for the data on the comps and I believe in my opinion the supplied ones were bunk, so now they are scratching their heads on what to do. What throw more bogus fraudulent data my way. Here is the scoop in all. I am married to an insurance defense lawyer who in the past has worked for MetLife. My entire 9 sibling family is in the auto business. I have had several earfuls of advise.

Even after 4 plus months I haven't pursued the normal course of action and sued them. Was raised with the morals of "don't chase after bad money 'cause it prevents you from making good money." At least that is how I was raised to believe. If I was not well off and that was my only car I would have had to cave in and do whatever they told me to do regardless of the number being right or wrong.

Nevertheless, I have my car at a shop and the storage bill is 120 days in. Figure 50.00 a day and I now owe 6000 on that. Not far off from what they offered me for the car. MetLife cut me off on the storage after 40 days or so. Said they would tow it to some other place they had. Would you let someone tow your car away without knowing if you are getting paid for it or not. Why pay these guys for "acting in bad faith" insurance. Yes they are easy to sign up with but what do you get. Ripped off. The worst part is they use CCC-One for their evaluation on right offs. Google in lawsuits under CCC-One and you will see what you need to see. An endless list of complaints. Oh, almost forgot, they raised my rate 500+ without even paying out on the claim. Nice... What about this personal attention and care they claim as their motto. So, I am just going to go out and buy a new car this week and let the cards fall where they may.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am kind of stuck with MetLife Auto at the moment. I paid over $4000 last year and didn't need to use it once. I pay over $300 a month for nothing. If I need a tow, they don't cover it. I am only with them because it's offered at my wife's job. They need to add towing and some kind of loyal customer incentive would be wonderful. I will be changing auto insurance but unfortunately I have to save up to do so. I honestly can't afford the down payment these other companies want. I am actively looking for another company that I can afford the down payment, so until then I'm stuck.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I did an online quote with MetLife for my son and answered every question accurately. With him being 19 the rate quoted online was $320 per month. This is high but almost expected for his age. However, when we called the company to set up the policy the rate jumped to $527 per month. The agent on the phone used the exact information provided on the website and came up with this entirely different quote. They would not budge on this so of course we went elsewhere. However, this is a huge waste of time and borders on false advertising by MetLife. I would avoid this dishonest company and go with someone else.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I've only had insurance with them for one month. The process of purchasing my car insurance was fairly simple and only took 30 minutes tops. They asked a few questions and pair you up with something that best suits you. I like that it comes directly out of my check weekly and I received a discount because of one of my jobs. As soon as my social security number was entered it popped up with my job and the discounts I could receive.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I enjoyed the plan and the customer service at MetLife. I was able to have this plan payroll deducted. This plan offered glass coverage with an inexpensive deductible. In addition, everytime I called the customer service was excellent. However, while I had great coverage, they did not offer a comparable price in my state. It was 2 times higher. And I was able to save over half my payment by switching. Also, it wasn't easy to monitor my plan online since it had an employer discount. I had to call every time.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The MetLife Auto policy was very easy to purchase and it's cheaper to purchase through them than other companies. The company also lets you pick your deductibles and your coverage. Furthermore, I like that they auto draft the payment out of my checking account and they split it so I pay a portion of the payment every other week. This is easier for me to budget out of my account. While I had a very nice experience, I was needing to change my vehicle on my policy one time and I could not contact anyone after regular business hours nor could I change my policy online using my phone. I had to wait until the next day and log in at work and change my vehicle. Website was hard at first to get it to accept the change. I had to do the chance about 3 times before it took.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the ease of online and by-phone customer service and MetLife Auto's truly affordable rates. However, I would like more local agencies that would allow for face to face customer service. Even so, it was all so easy and user-friendly, which is crucial for this busy gal! My experiences have been very satisfactory. I would freely recommend this company for any and all insurance needs.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Purchasing my current auto insurance policy at MetLife was quick and easy. It was altogether a pleasurable experience. The agent was friendly and helpful without being pushy or irritating. Furthermore, the insurance policy is less expensive through this insurance company that I had with my last insurance company, yet the coverage is equal to if not better than my last policy through the other company. MetLife has been good and I am very satisfied with them at the moment.

MetLife Auto Company Information