Protect what matters most

Protect my home
Liberty Mutual - Homeowners
3.73/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

328 Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This policy was the best rated in my state and offered a family discount as I got other members of my family to sign up. This policy also had the lowest deductible and built in incentives to pay ahead to get a lower overall rate. The application was at first dull and froze and was not ideal for me to use. I like to pay online, and paying through the application would be easiest. They finally got it worked out, the bugs and works well now. I like the quote I received as well as the customer service. I like the ability to create a customized plan that fits my needs. I had to file a claim in regards to my roof and I was able to get everything covered. I believe in my company and they stand with me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Liberty Mutual came recommended by a person I trust that has done business with the local office for over 25 years. The receptionist was very nice and knowledgeable. She understood my needs and was able to easily explain their services and products and how they were in actually much more advantageous than the original policy. It took the local office a couple of tries while working with the regional office to get the policy correct though. Also they needed to coordinate better between the offices because in the beginning when we first engaged the insurance company we had 2 offices attempting to take care of our new policy. Now while that is considerate it semi confused the situation because we started to get multiple mailings regarding our homeowners policy with either incorrect or diverse items on the separate policies.

Other than that, I like their price, ease of acquisition covers more for less than the previous insurance, was able to change in one days notice of requesting insurance and was covered that same day. Deductible was less as well as they reviewed the old policy and recommended a decrease in coverage that saved money. All in all the experience was very nice and did not take up considerable time.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have remained insured with Liberty for the last 25 years. I refuse to purchase insurance from an online carrier where you just "click". I have dealt with online insurers for my clients and they are not as credible as they say. Liberty handles everything in a very predictable manner. Their billing is accurate, they respond quickly. When they say they will call back they do. The rates I pay are comparable to the other companies in the marketplace and the coverage is very broad. They are constantly adding features to broaden their coverage too. They have paid a few claims over the years and have not raised my rates. The only complaint I have is they bought the insurance company that I was insured with called Safeco, which was a great local insurance company. Now they are part of Liberty Mutual, a much bigger insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Liberty Mutual has excellent customer service from calling in to the main 800 number to communication with our agent and his office. He has been great. As first time homeowners we did not understand a lot of the technical terms on the policies - he took time to explain each term and section and how it would pertain to us as well as how it could impact price. Overall he helped us narrow down our policy to the best option for our needs and he never pushed us towards the more expensive option. It was a very honest and trustworthy process. In the end we also moved our auto and purchased life insurance from them as well.

If our Agent wasn't as amazing as he was we would have had trouble understanding sections of the policy as we never owned a home before. Liberty could perhaps have a section online or a pamphlet for first time buyer or general customers that explains some terminology. It is intimidating at first when you begin to look for policies. Other than that, our policy gave us the right amount of coverage we needed at an affordable price. We got to chose coverage to fit our climate. We reside in and we were able to bundle other insurances to lower the price. Even moving auto and life over were more affordable on their own. I was also able to get a discount as well for where I graduated college from and because of the type of degree I received. They have other perks the agent can assist you with.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I feel bad for those who have had negative experiences with Liberty Mutual home insurance. I read those reviews after a tree fell on our garage and worried about it. But, we had an excellent experience. We have had Liberty Mutual home insurance since 2005. They are the only company who will insure our home because it was built in 1850. They are also the most reasonable insurers. This incident was the first home loss claim we have filed.

A tree fell on our house on a Saturday. We called emergency tree service first and then Liberty Mutual. On Tuesday morning, the adjuster, Will, came to the house to inspect. He was very professional and understanding. He cut us a check on the spot for 1/3 of our policy limit. He added the tree service to his system so he could pay them directly, taking stress off of us.

It took a while for us to find legitimate contractors. Once we did, I sent three estimates to Will. He reviewed them. I told him we were ready to start the work. Within three days, he stopped by our house with a check for the balance. On top of that all, he forgave our $1000 deductible because the garage ended up being way more expensive to replace than anyone could have guessed. My experience with Liberty Mutual has been nothing but excellent. He responded to phone calls and emails in a timely manner. I never felt abandoned or stranded throughout this entire process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: June 15, 2019

A car thief ran thru my automatic front gate during the night. The car was left at my gate and had damaged the gate and the horse fencing. The claims process was adequate. However, my next premium bill skyrocketed because of a claim I had NO complicity in causing. Been with them since the 1960's when I was a claims adjuster and also in Personal Sales. I worked there about 8 years. Not happy now, everything is email. Might as well be a total online company as far as the service or help you get.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had water damage back in July 2018 and reported it. An adjuster came out and estimated the damage. He then deducted the 500 and also a thousand dollars for depreciation? I had estimates done and they were all more, plus they didn't want to deal with Liberty for the grand. The adjuster is off indefinitely and his boss won't be back until June. My agent was no help either. Meanwhile the ceiling in my kitchen is half gone and the floor in a hallway and bathroom is also missing. What a nightmare and no help.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have my house, some rental properties and a car insured with Liberty Mutual. Their rates went up a lot, and I never had a claim. Just now, I got an updated policy: from 2017 till now, the rates went up by 34%. I can't increase the rent by that much to keep up with these guys. They have no regards for customer loyalty.

Original review: April 22, 2019

They do not even deserve 1 STAR but ZERO STARS was not an option - please note! I switched to Liberty Mutual November 2018. I am now self employed and reviewing all bills to make sure I am paying the best rates. I found a much better Homeowners insurance policy premium and called today to cancel my policy. She proceeds to tell me "Oh you owe $355.31", I said, " What? You auto deduct from my bank account monthly." She said, "Well it appears you are in "arrears" For whatever reason we billed your mortgage company for November and December and they did not pay."

I said, "Why in the world would you bill my mortgage company when I specifically set up for auto deductions for payments?" She mentioned, "Oh could be due to an escrow account." I said, "I've never had an escrow account, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever." So for their mistake and my phone call today to cancel my policy, they tell me I owe $355.31 and they are auto deducting this from my account. I AM LIVID and this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I live in California. I was having homeowner's policy (Policy #: **) from Liberty since last 4 year. When I delayed my payment my policy got canceled after given due date. Within 2 days when I called them and paid rest of amount. Once I asked them to renew my policy the retention department kept me on hold to rewrite new policy and later they said they will not renew my policy and said my policy is marked for non renewal. As I know insurance company should give certain number of days' notice and explain the reason for not renewing before it drops your policy. I got notice for payment and expiration date for cancellation, but it doesn't say anything about non renewal. This what I got after being 4 years with Liberty Mutual homeowner Insurance, I never claimed a single dollar and except this never a single payment expiration.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I received a notice from my bank today that my homeowner's policy had expired a week ago. I looked thru my emails and sure enough I hadn't received an email regarding the renewal of the policy, I logged into the site to try and renew and was informed that my information was incorrect. I called customer service who informed me that they would not be renewing my policy. I asked why - never had a claim, premiums are paid thru an escrow, never received an email or a notice via the website indicating there was an issue.

I was told that an inspector came to the house and determined it was vacant, I said yes it was it has been under construction after being destroyed by Hurricane Harvey, she said, "Well we sent you a notice in November and in January letting you know we would not be renewing." "Where did you send the notice?" She said, "To your home address" - I said, "The one you just told me an inspector deemed as vacant!" "Yes, the inspector deemed it vacant therefore you need to find insurance elsewhere." Gladly, what a scam, I am relieved I was notified by my bank so I can find insurance thru a reputable company, that has a little common sense.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Phoenix, AZ. I have home insurance through Liberty Mutual, I live in a house built in 2006, not too old. I just realized a water leak under the sink this week, and called them the same day. They sent out Stanley Steemer to dry the walls and tile and that company notified me that I had mold under the sink. Liberty denied my claim, even though I have $5000 worth of mole coverage because they "assumed" that the leak was going on for a long period of time. I really wished I could see through walls so I could've found the issue sooner! I'm switching now, they stated that it is stated on my policy, but it's not. It's a separate form you have to search for that states it. They won't help you at all, they could care less about you and your family. Save yourself the trouble and don't even consider them.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Purchased 10 policies from Liberty Mutual after experiencing losses due to wind/hail damage in a rental community that were not covered by my insurer. Moved to Liberty Mutual and purchased additional coverage for special assessments on all income properties. Agent got exception to write new policies with recent claims, and sold me additional coverage to make sure we would not experience similar losses. 18 month later experienced identical losses in the same community for 4 units. Claim representative cited an endorsement in the policy limiting these claims for associations/corporations to $1000. Agent acknowledged he was not aware of the endorsement. Sent me email stating in the case of special assessments claim for association master policy deductibles they would pay up to $5000. Email described virtually identical situation to claims filed, only fire not hail/wind.

Liberty Mutual presidential team representative, agent, agents supervisor and claims rep simply said, "Sorry, you should have read your policy closer." It was obvious from the timing of my purchase, (immediately after loss), the purchase of additional coverage specifically to this type of loss exposure, and the email from the agent that they represented that I had purchase coverage for this type of claim. Instead, I get another $12000 loss on top of $10,500 loss the year prior.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Sadly, you pay for insurance all your life thinking you have protection and are covered. Despite their heavy ad campaign (maybe they should save ad money to spend on their clients!?) Liberty Mutual has been an exercise in frustration. We had a house fire. They initially said we were "underinsured" and would have to Sue our agent if we wanted to be covered under their "errors and omission coverage." Then they agreed to pay out but they estimated our $685k house at $245K to repair, so we were forced to substantiate everything we did with estimates, pictures, receipts, etc. If you have a mortgage, all the money goes to the bank and you have to jump through HOOPS to get the funds released. We had to hire experts to prove it needed to be gutted due to smoke damage and hire a public adjuster so they would pay the "replacement value" and complete a total home inventory vs. what some min wage worker in Wisconsin looked up on Amazon.

Thank God the house was still standing to substantiate what was there. We were dealing with no less than 10 people (home adjuster, property adjuster, both of their supervisors, a textile person, an electronic person, a temp housing company, a restoration company, experts in smoke, mold, and remediation - an entire staff of folks) which is nuts when you are kicked out of your home with children, moving, salvaging, and overwhelmed. They interview you immediately to establish your "normal spending" so they can mitigate costs.

Trust me, they are a company concerned with their bottom line, not you. They don't care if you have to eat out every day; they just pay you what you normally spend in groceries. The money they advance you for temp shelter? They deduct from your personal property. You will have to fight your way through the muck for years. It's been two years and we are still fighting them over a 2,000 electrical upgrade and landscaping damage. Looks like we will have to hire an attorney to get what is covered and should be easily paid out. It's a miracle we are back in our home and only $50K out of pocket. After 16 months... and now we are locked into them for 3 years because of the claim. Absolutely horrible to deal with, wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. We have PTSD, no joke.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We have had Auto and Home insurance with Liberty Mutual for many years. We have never put a claim in. Their rates were skyrocketing. We called them before the next home insurance was due, stating we wanted to cancel the home insurance portion (we do not have a mortgage and were taking a chance til we could find a more reasonable insurance). When we paid our auto insurance in full, via snail mail with the auto insurance stub, they took a portion of it and put it towards homeowners insurance. We got that straightened out. Since then we have gone with other insurance companies for both home and auto.

Today we get a collections claim in the mail. We have spent half a day trying to straighten this out. But they say we did not cancel until after the next due date. That is not true. We asked them to check their phone records but all they kept saying is that they understand we are upset but they can not remove the bill as they had covered us (unknowingly) for a month or so. The conversation was repetitive and we were not getting anywhere. They offered to lower the claim by $10.00. Needless to say we encourage you to look elsewhere for insurance. anything above a 1 star rating are for folks that have not been screwed by them, YET. By the way the TV commercials that are on every 20 minutes and that their customers are paying for, SUCK!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I canceled my Liberty Mutual/Geico Homeowner's Insurance multiple times. If that sounds odd, it is. I canceled via email. When I received a letter warning my coverage was about to be canceled, I wrote back reminding them it had already been canceled by me. I received a threatening email; I canceled it again. I even received acknowledgement from the company that it had been canceled before it sent a couple more threatening emails. I received another one this morning, more than a month after their own admission that, yes, the insurance had been canceled. I never had to make a claim, fortunately. I can only imagine what a nightmare that would have been.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've been a customer of Liberty Mutual my entire adult life. Three separate homes in three states. Never late with a payment and never had any issues until recently. Our home had a toilet leak. We contacted Liberty Mutual and they sent a adjuster to take a look at the damage. Their quote for the repairs - $404.00! In the end after discovering microbials growing in our floors and walls, after my son and wife getting sick and going to several doctors to find out what was causing their illness. My wife and I paid over $25,000.00 in repairs.

Liberty Mutual refused to honor our policy because they said the leak was more than 14 days old. We contacted them immediately when the leak started, however they refuse to honor our insurance policy and claim. I'm a business owner and I can tell you I would never take a Customer I've had for nearly twenty years and throw that relationship away over a small claim. DO NOT USE LIBERTY MUTUAL unless you want to make endless payments only to NOT have them stand by you and your family in your time of need.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In short, Liberty canceled our home insurance due to claim from Hurricane Matthew, we had car insurance with them and switched and saved $1200.00 a year, then they charge us $170.00 cancellation fee because we were not through our year commitment. Called other companies and they charge $20-$25. Terrible company. PLEASE I beg you do not use this company and lose the money we have lost. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Liberty Mutual was offered to me in a bundle at a discounted rate. I had also heard good things from people I knew that also had the insurance at some point in their lives. They also have a good track record when it comes to claims or issues. The website is very easy to navigate. It is also very easy to access and fill out a claim if needed. In a world of technology, everything has an app. But when I had this insurance, there was not an app to easily access my account. Other than that, my experience was very positive.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We thought we were dealing with a good company with our auto insurance. That was until we had a small claim. They were a nightmare to deal with. Their agents work out of their homes and are anything but professional. We were left on hold for hours from many agents. We listened to children crying dogs barking and an I don’t give a damn attitude by numerous reps. The hours it took for us to schedule our rent a car to be paid for the repair garage to get paid and to schedule someone to even come out to see the car took more than 36 hours of our time. Trying to reach a supervisor to assist us or to hear our grievances was almost impossible. This company fights you about cost of repairs cost of rent a cars and frustrates you to unbelievable leavers. Consumer BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Liberty is a company that is well heard of. I like companies that don't drag their feet when you spent years paying into the policy. I liked Liberty Mutual because we bundled our insurance for home and car which makes it an easier process to keep track of all in one place. I don't have any complaints at this time about any of our policies, except for the cost of the policies which like all of them start at a good price and slowly creep up and never creep down.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I like this insurance companies because they have an agent and competitive fees. Their fees help me keep the insurance and help me feel confident. They are easy to talk to and resolve all your issues in prompt time. They are accessible and are willing to do anything they need to make your service better. But I would improve the fees of their insurance and the fast paying of their claims. But all in all the insurances are great and always help figure things out.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They also have an easy website to navigate and get things done as self serve at my own convenience, any time of day.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Their price is too high that I feel you are paying for that first accident at the beginning of your contract. I have heard that they do not hold small accidents and they don't hold one accident against you. That is what they say on their commercials, however my experience has been that you are paying up front.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I like that they are direct and tell me like it is. There are no hidden fees and they break things down to where I can actually understand them. They also don't treat me like a number but like a valuable person. They don't make me feel that I am less than they take as much time as I need to help me fully understand everything going on. Although, I do wish that they were more affordable. I also wish that they had more stuff for younger people to relate to that are just starting out.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The quote and reviews of the company was right on. The customer service is great also and the representatives were some of the best to deal with. They seem to care about their customers. They have even sent out notifications when there was storms in our area.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The prices were the best I found while I was shopping around for insurance companies online. The other companies were pretty high in price and out of my budget. Liberty Mutual worked best and it was hard to beat this price. They have all the features I wanted as well.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They have good coverage for fair price. Like Alex Trebek says on another T.V. ad three words. Those words are Price, Price, Price. Comparing the different companies I found the price differential is incredible. I like Liberty Mutual's T.V. Advertising stating what they can do in a case of emergency. Not only do they cover houses and property but other items that need insuring. But the insurance industry in whole needs fixing. Things that should be changed is the price of the premiums especially for seniors on Social Security. The company that will address that is going to become more successful in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

The Liberty agent is a former colleague of my husband's and he was new to the company but we believed in him and went with the company. It has proven to be a smart mover. The agent for the company has a personal approach to his customers and he makes certain that we are aware of any changes to the policy and addresses all concerns.... The policy we have is over 20 years and we have only filed 2 claims, it would be nice if we were rewarded in some way. Perhaps a discount on the annual fee, some incentive to remain with the company.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Liberty Mutual is a great company. They have a great price, and fast and great service. They are always on time when you need them. If you have a flight they make sure they handle anything that needs to be handled. If I call with any little complaint they help me. They don't just put me on the side. They give me all the service I need. I definitely will recommend to friend or family. They're very reliable.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.

• Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.

• Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.

• Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.

• Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky