3.41/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

318 Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I canceled my Liberty Mutual/Geico Homeowner's Insurance multiple times. If that sounds odd, it is. I canceled via email. When I received a letter warning my coverage was about to be canceled, I wrote back reminding them it had already been canceled by me. I received a threatening email; I canceled it again. I even received acknowledgement from the company that it had been canceled before it sent a couple more threatening emails. I received another one this morning, more than a month after their own admission that, yes, the insurance had been canceled. I never had to make a claim, fortunately. I can only imagine what a nightmare that would have been.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've been a customer of Liberty Mutual my entire adult life. Three separate homes in three states. Never late with a payment and never had any issues until recently. Our home had a toilet leak. We contacted Liberty Mutual and they sent a adjuster to take a look at the damage. Their quote for the repairs - $404.00! In the end after discovering microbials growing in our floors and walls, after my son and wife getting sick and going to several doctors to find out what was causing their illness. My wife and I paid over $25,000.00 in repairs.

Liberty Mutual refused to honor our policy because they said the leak was more than 14 days old. We contacted them immediately when the leak started, however they refuse to honor our insurance policy and claim. I'm a business owner and I can tell you I would never take a Customer I've had for nearly twenty years and throw that relationship away over a small claim. DO NOT USE LIBERTY MUTUAL unless you want to make endless payments only to NOT have them stand by you and your family in your time of need.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In short, Liberty canceled our home insurance due to claim from Hurricane Matthew, we had car insurance with them and switched and saved $1200.00 a year, then they charge us $170.00 cancellation fee because we were not through our year commitment. Called other companies and they charge $20-$25. Terrible company. PLEASE I beg you do not use this company and lose the money we have lost. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Liberty Mutual was offered to me in a bundle at a discounted rate. I had also heard good things from people I knew that also had the insurance at some point in their lives. They also have a good track record when it comes to claims or issues. The website is very easy to navigate. It is also very easy to access and fill out a claim if needed. In a world of technology, everything has an app. But when I had this insurance, there was not an app to easily access my account. Other than that, my experience was very positive.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We thought we were dealing with a good company with our auto insurance. That was until we had a small claim. They were a nightmare to deal with. Their agents work out of their homes and are anything but professional. We were left on hold for hours from many agents. We listened to children crying dogs barking and an I don’t give a damn attitude by numerous reps. The hours it took for us to schedule our rent a car to be paid for the repair garage to get paid and to schedule someone to even come out to see the car took more than 36 hours of our time. Trying to reach a supervisor to assist us or to hear our grievances was almost impossible. This company fights you about cost of repairs cost of rent a cars and frustrates you to unbelievable leavers. Consumer BEWARE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Liberty is a company that is well heard of. I like companies that don't drag their feet when you spent years paying into the policy. I liked Liberty Mutual because we bundled our insurance for home and car which makes it an easier process to keep track of all in one place. I don't have any complaints at this time about any of our policies, except for the cost of the policies which like all of them start at a good price and slowly creep up and never creep down.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I like this insurance companies because they have an agent and competitive fees. Their fees help me keep the insurance and help me feel confident. They are easy to talk to and resolve all your issues in prompt time. They are accessible and are willing to do anything they need to make your service better. But I would improve the fees of their insurance and the fast paying of their claims. But all in all the insurances are great and always help figure things out.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They also have an easy website to navigate and get things done as self serve at my own convenience, any time of day.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Their price is too high that I feel you are paying for that first accident at the beginning of your contract. I have heard that they do not hold small accidents and they don't hold one accident against you. That is what they say on their commercials, however my experience has been that you are paying up front.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I like that they are direct and tell me like it is. There are no hidden fees and they break things down to where I can actually understand them. They also don't treat me like a number but like a valuable person. They don't make me feel that I am less than they take as much time as I need to help me fully understand everything going on. Although, I do wish that they were more affordable. I also wish that they had more stuff for younger people to relate to that are just starting out.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This policy was the best rated in my state and offered a family discount as I got other members of my family to sign up. This policy also had the lowest deductible and built in incentives to pay ahead to get a lower overall rate. The application was at first dull and froze and was not ideal for me to use. I like to pay online, and paying through the application would be easiest. They finally got it worked out, the bugs and works well now. I like the quote I received as well as the customer service. I like the ability to create a customized plan that fits my needs. I had to file a claim in regards to my roof and I was able to get everything covered. I believe in my company and they stand with me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The quote and reviews of the company was right on. The customer service is great also and the representatives were some of the best to deal with. They seem to care about their customers. They have even sent out notifications when there was storms in our area.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The prices were the best I found while I was shopping around for insurance companies online. The other companies were pretty high in price and out of my budget. Liberty Mutual worked best and it was hard to beat this price. They have all the features I wanted as well.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They have good coverage for fair price. Like Alex Trebek says on another T.V. ad three words. Those words are Price, Price, Price. Comparing the different companies I found the price differential is incredible. I like Liberty Mutual's T.V. Advertising stating what they can do in a case of emergency. Not only do they cover houses and property but other items that need insuring. But the insurance industry in whole needs fixing. Things that should be changed is the price of the premiums especially for seniors on Social Security. The company that will address that is going to become more successful in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

The Liberty agent is a former colleague of my husband's and he was new to the company but we believed in him and went with the company. It has proven to be a smart mover. The agent for the company has a personal approach to his customers and he makes certain that we are aware of any changes to the policy and addresses all concerns.... The policy we have is over 20 years and we have only filed 2 claims, it would be nice if we were rewarded in some way. Perhaps a discount on the annual fee, some incentive to remain with the company.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Liberty Mutual is a great company. They have a great price, and fast and great service. They are always on time when you need them. If you have a flight they make sure they handle anything that needs to be handled. If I call with any little complaint they help me. They don't just put me on the side. They give me all the service I need. I definitely will recommend to friend or family. They're very reliable.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Liberty Mutual was recommended by my loan officer when they were finalizing my mortgage loan. I also qualify for a discount due to the company that I work for, which is very helpful with the rate that I am being billed. I like that the rate is fair and the policy was easy to set up online with payments handled through my mortgage company. Also this company processes claims very fast which was very surprising to me. I had my garage burglarized and my claim was processed in a week. They were very nice and did not make me feel like a victim. But I would like to know that my policy would not skyrocket due to a claim.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had personal contents items that were stolen by Liberty Moving and Storage in RI. I filed a police report, provided documentation confirm missing items and provided all details to back up my claim to Liberty Mutual Insurance on May 22, 2018. Liberty Mutual has taken 7 mos to do a coverage investigation. They denied my claim even though my statements and documentation (original documentation from the storage facility!) clearly substantiate my claim. Instead of standing by me, Liberty Mutual has pitted me against this unscrupulous vendor. I will be forced to pursue legal action that will eat up any settlement I might receive. First I have been robbed by the storage facility and now I’m being robbed by Liberty Mutual. This conduct is what gives insurance companies a bad name.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I considered Liberty Mutual Insurance as my insurance carrier. I had originally decided to go with them before telling them to cancel it before the effective date. I had found something cheaper that filled my requirements. I was told to upload my information on the reason why and that it would be taken care of. Next month I receive a bill for the entire amount. I figured that perhaps it will take a little while for them to figure out the billing. I call customer service and tell them that I requested to have it canceled before the start date. They tell me that they will get it taken care of. I receive a bill the following month as well as a notification that my insurance will be canceled if they don't receive payment.

Seeing as I requested cancellation before the effective policy start date, I just figured it was their practice to send those out. The following month I receive yet another bill for the entire amount and I call again to explain once again, that I requested it canceled before the start effective date, that no, I haven't submitted a claim, no I do not wish to have insurance through them and that no, I wasn't going to pay for something that should have been canceled literally a week before it was supposed to be effective. Received another bill and made another call the following month.

Monday I received a bill from collections for almost $600 for their "mutual customer- Liberty Mutual" STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY as the their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing and salespeople don't talk with their billing department after the initial paperwork is submitted. Sales team says it isn't their problem anymore after the paperwork is submitted. This company makes promises but can't deliver on even simple things like policy service. I have email traffic from the rep I worked with if anyone is interested.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Got homeowner's insurance. Agent come out and inspected house after starting insurance. Snow on roof, by the way green shingles. Agent says I have green mold on the roof, how can you see the roof for the snow! My kids toys all over the backyard. Agent says junkie yard. So cancelled my policy. Now I'm fighting to get insurance because, other insurance companies can see their reason for canceling.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They have great customer service, and are open about any policy or billing changes that are going to occur. This is a great company and I don't really have anything that I dislike about them. It was easy to sign up and get a good rate. They had the most competitive rate and were the most clear in their policy terms. Their customer support is exceptional and answer any questions that I have and are always polite.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My wife was using Liberty Mutual before so it was an easy decision and it was very easy to transfer from her condo to our house. Many other providers were more expensive. Liberty has good prices and is easy to renew. They have local branches too that I can visit or call. I would like for the insurance premium to decrease though. Other than that, it is perfect. I like that it has online bill pay and I can view and do almost all my transactions online, which I prefer.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

They were cheaper than my last insurance company and they have a good reputation. I will always stay with them. I have had three claims in a period of six months. Lightning struck my home, hailstorm hit my home, and my shower pan broke and flooded my bathrooms and bedroom. They are fast to pay for any claims. Liberty is a wonderful insurance company but maybe improve the price.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I had Liberty Mutual in the past and been very happy with them. They responded very quickly when I had a claim for hail damage on my roof at my old house. They have local offices here in Austin and they have been around for a while and have great ratings. They have great rates and respond quickly, friendly service and have local offices and a mobile app. If you leave a message they call you right back. My homeowners insurance is build into my mortgage though and I don't like that the insurance premiums go up with the value of the house. But other than that, they are a good company and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Liberty was one of the first policies I found, I feel like I had a good connection with them based on my auto loan policy. I also chose this plan based on the suggestions by my parents and what they have always had and done. Liberty came with all the coverage I could want on a house with the damage I could imagine happening, I like prices and what they include for coverages. I love the ease of access to the office and the awesome customer service. Very good experience but they had no remorse in handling my AC HVAC unit that broke on a 2 year old new construction property.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Liberty Mutual came recommended by a person I trust that has done business with the local office for over 25 years. The receptionist was very nice and knowledgeable. She understood my needs and was able to easily explain their services and products and how they were in actually much more advantageous than the original policy. It took the local office a couple of tries while working with the regional office to get the policy correct though. Also they needed to coordinate better between the offices because in the beginning when we first engaged the insurance company we had 2 offices attempting to take care of our new policy. Now while that is considerate it semi confused the situation because we started to get multiple mailings regarding our homeowners policy with either incorrect or diverse items on the separate policies.

Other than that, I like their price, ease of acquisition covers more for less than the previous insurance, was able to change in one days notice of requesting insurance and was covered that same day. Deductible was less as well as they reviewed the old policy and recommended a decrease in coverage that saved money. All in all the experience was very nice and did not take up considerable time.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Liberty has been around for several years and they have a great reputation. They have pretty good rates and I trust them. If I were to have a claim I'm positive they'll help me each step of the way. I've been with the company for several years and I will stay with them as long as I can. I will also always suggest them to my friends and family so they can belong to a great company. If you are looking for a great company that backs their clients Liberty Mutual is for you.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have remained insured with Liberty for the last 25 years. I refuse to purchase insurance from an online carrier where you just "click". I have dealt with online insurers for my clients and they are not as credible as they say. Liberty handles everything in a very predictable manner. Their billing is accurate, they respond quickly. When they say they will call back they do. The rates I pay are comparable to the other companies in the marketplace and the coverage is very broad. They are constantly adding features to broaden their coverage too. They have paid a few claims over the years and have not raised my rates. The only complaint I have is they bought the insurance company that I was insured with called Safeco, which was a great local insurance company. Now they are part of Liberty Mutual, a much bigger insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Liberty Mutual offers insurance to cover my livestock in case they get out and cause an accident. They have knowledgeable representatives that seem happy to help with my questions. They also offer a reasonable price for their coverage but it would be even better if they offered incentives or discounts for keeping their coverage over time. But other than that, Liberty is the best bargain overall. They offer the best coverage for the best price that we could find and I am happy with the people I deal with.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My experience has been positive. Liberty Mutual has been a good home insurance company to use. Their rates are very affordable. I can access my account online and pay my account online both of which make things really easy for me.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.

• Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.

• Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.

• Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.

• Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Boston
MA
www.libertymutual.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.