Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States.

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Claims adjustment has been quick and professional. It all costs too much. At least they are there when you need them. My agents office is quick and efficient. I had State Farm for about 30 years and they slowly carved-out the policy down to no real coverage, it cost $1K more, and my agent's office treated me like a stranger not to be trusted.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Used Liberty Mutual for home and auto for nearly 15 years. They are easy to contact by phone, responsive when there is any issue, and always willing to work with pricing for premiums. Payments for damages are quick.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I had a small fire in my home in January 2020. My gas furnace caught fire. My claim, which was over 30k, was settled and paid within a few weeks. I was impressed with the quickness and professionalism shown by Liberty Mutual.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I am a registered nurse for 37 years. As an RN I have responded to many emergency situations throughout the years. If I were in need I would hope there would be assistance. Unfortunately I was disappointed by the claims department at Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. On July 6th 2020 there was a major Thunder and lightning rainstorm. As a result my air conditioning unit was struck by lightning. I know this because I was at home at the time of the event. My circuit breaker turned to the off position and my HVAC unit was unable to cool my home. I contacted Amstel -an HVAC company- and the technician confirmed that the unit was grounded as a result of the lightning and the terminals were burnt. A claim was initiated at Liberty Mutual by John "Clint" **.

I was informed Liberty Mutual would need to send HVAC investigators -Ben ** 888-407-5224 extension ** -to my home in order to investigate the system. Their technician entered my home without a mask (Covid). His findings were normal wear and tear. HVAC investigators' findings were in stark contrast of Amstel's findings. In the interim I purchased several portable air conditioners as it is 95° to 100° in the state of Delaware. A conference call with John Clint **, Ben **, John **, and I was placed on July 15th 2020.

It was determined that my claim was denied as Liberty Mutual had faith in HVAC investigators' report and chose to ignore Amstel's report that the terminals were burnt off as a result of the lightning from the storm. As a consumer it was my hope that Liberty Mutual -my insurance company for MANY YEARS-would assist me in my time of need. I am NOT SURPRISED Liberty mutual chose to believe the company they hired....THEY WILL SAVE $8000!!!

Original review: July 6, 2020

Was struck by a severe hail storm May 2018. Independent estimators were all over our subdivision but would not touch mine because I was insured by Liberty Mutual so I had to use theirs, property professionals. New roof was installed within a month but all the other work was put on ignore. Noticed leak within a few weeks after the new roof was installed. Leak was repaired a year later after black mold has set in. Have gone through three representatives of professional properties including the owner who did absolutely nothing the two weeks he was here but lied and did not show up when he said he would on numerous occasions.

The siding went up about a year later that was damaged along with the gutters which were not installed properly and developed leaks behind the gutter. Also killed a lot of my plants and flowers around the house for being covered so long when the roof was being installed. I even lost 12 Koi fish in my pond due to the shingle material going into it and the fish digesting it. Back to the leak, they sprayed some substance on it instead of replacing the drywall and threw drywall mud on top of that. Having had enough I kicked all of them off the job and settled for a cash payment. Liberty Mutual has good prices but you better hope you never have a claim. I later found out independent contractors would not touch Liberty Mutual because their payment method took over six months to collect.

Original review: June 9, 2020

A Liberty Mutual representative visited my residence during the last week of February or the early first week of March and asked my boyfriend if it was alright to look around the property and take pictures. He asked me later that day if I was aware of the visit by Liberty Mutual and I told him no because I was not informed at that time. The following week on March 9, 2020, I received the inspection notification letter. The letter stated, “no action is required at this time.” Additionally, the letter was dated February 28th and was not received until ten days later, far after the visit. This occurrence appears to be conniving.

I also had a conversation with a neighbor who had Liberty Mutual also. The neighbor was being charged $6,000 a year. These actions can be classified as redlining if similar occurrences happened within the same vicinity. I thought it was the law to make sure the recipient receive the inspection letter before the inspector shows up. What they have demonstrated is unacceptable behavior and lack of professionalism.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I changed to Liberty Mutual when we refinanced my home 8 years ago. Was told I had a $500 property damage deductible. We have had several wind and hail storms over the last 7 years but this last one caused a leak so decided to have it checked. It was leaking so called and was told that no longer was the $500 deductible valid but now it was 1% of the value of the home. Over $1700 which was totally ignorant of me to continue to do business with a sub par company. All my neighbors had $500 deductibles with their insurance and that is what they had to pay. It is a shame that the rates are 45% higher than most others and their coverage is that pathetic. Time to look for a quality company for $800-900 a year less with quality coverage. It is a shame you are required to give them at least one star when they deserve much less.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have been with Liberty Mutual since 2015 or 2014. I compared their rates in the beginning but not in the 5 years following as I trusted them to be fair with their rates. While getting a lower interest rate, I was told your home owner’s insurance costs was pretty high. So I checked around and found out that they were TWICE as high as a quote I received. Shame on me for not checking. We have never had a home claim with them ever. One minor car accident almost 3 years ago..

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I've had homeowners and auto insurance for my present home for several years now. My mother passed away and her home became mine. I purchase a homeowners policy from Liberty Mutual for her house. A couple months later some underwriter working for Liberty Mutual stopped by her house and decided the property was in too bad of shape for them to be willing to cover. Reasons stated were: Gutters needed cleaning out, and tree limbs were hanging over the roof. There was only one place where any tree limbs were hanging over the roof and ii's way up high where an old tree has long reaching limbs. REALLY? Whose house does not need a gutter cleaned out periodically? This is completely ludicrous. They will lose all of my business ASAP.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

We purchased this insurance as we were buying a house. Next thing I knew a man was calling to schedule a home inspection. Liberty Mutual never even informed us this would be happening. The inspector came and left. Three weeks later we received a letter (with three days notice) that our insurance policy was being cancelled. They claimed the reason was that there were major renovations going on without their prior knowledge. First of all, we closed on a new home. The only "renovation" occurring during the inspection was a paint job around the house. We were never asked nor informed we needed to tell anyone we were painting the house upon purchase. They only gave us three days notice to find new insurance. On the other hand, we got a MUCH better deal with another company. I would strongly advise not to go with this company if you expect any customer experience at all.

Liberty Mutual author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company sells auto and rental insurance in addition to homeowners insurance. Earthquake coverage and flood coverage are available as separate endorsements. The company offers 24/7 claims assistance and has an A rating from AM Best for financial strength.

• Cost: An average annual premium with Liberty Mutual is $1,200. Get a quote for exact pricing.

• Plans and coverage: Liberty’s basic plan has standard coverage, including coverage for dwellings, personal possessions and liability. Common endorsements include coverage for identity fraud expenses, valuables and inflation protection.

• Discounts: Liberty Mutual offers many discounts, including savings for bundling, new homes, new homeowners, home protection devices, new policies, new roofs and no claims.

• Availability: Liberty Mutual writes policies in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor