Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers a wide variety of home insurance options, including add-ons like natural disaster protection. It also has discounts for policy bundles and new homes. The company has a reputation for quality customer service.

PROS

• Multiple policy options
  • Add-on natural disaster coverage
  • Policy bundle discounts

CONS

• Services dependent on technology
  • No mold-specific coverage

Top Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They also have an easy website to navigate and get things done as self serve at my own convenience, any time of day.

My husband chose Liberty Mutual more than 12 years ago without discussing it with me and I have been satisfied with them as they always treat me right every time I file a claim with them… They always provide excellent response no matter what my need is…

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is Liberty Mutual home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that provides multiple home protection policies. It has a variety of standard insurance options for homeowners, including additional coverage for damages due to natural disasters, as well as personal property replacement.

Liberty Mutual writes home insurance policies in select states, and its optional coverage might be limited in some locations. Its coverage requires a home inspection; your policy could be adjusted depending on the assessment.

What does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual provides comprehensive home coverage, including:

• Personal property coverage
  • Wind and hail coverage
  • Hurricane coverage
  • Escape of water coverage
  • Loss of rent coverage

Liberty Mutual sets itself apart from other insurers by offering an optional coverage, Inflation Protection, which provides a discount on policy premiums during the renewal period.

Liberty Mutual home insurance quotes and costs

Due to the ever-changing nature of home insurance, Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its policy rates on the website; however, the company does provide home insurance quotes through its online quoting tool. As with most home insurance providers, Liberty Mutual’s rates are determined by home location and age, as well as surrounding weather conditions and overall wear and tear.

Liberty Mutual offers two-tiered home insurance packages, which combine a basic coverage plan with various add-on services like personal property replacement and water backup coverage. It also offers discounts for policy bundling and for new homes.

Liberty Mutual home insurance FAQ

Where is Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance available?
Liberty Mutual is available in more than 25 states.
How do I file a home insurance claim with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual has easy online claims filing. You can visit its website to fill out the claims form; the process takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Once you send your details, a representative will contact you for more information.
Does Liberty Mutual cover older homes?
The company doesn’t specify any home age limits, but its website has a tool to help you determine whether or not it will cover your home.

Is Liberty Mutual good home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is a well-known insurance provider, and its plans come with solid coverage options and additional coverage that’s ideal for homeowners in areas with frequent natural disasters. Though it has limited availability and doesn't offer all add-on coverages in all its locations, Liberty Mutual is worth considering if you’re in its service area and searching for a new insurance provider.

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Claims adjustment has been quick and professional. It all costs too much. At least they are there when you need them. My agents office is quick and efficient. I had State Farm for about 30 years and they slowly carved-out the policy down to no real coverage, it cost $1K more, and my agent's office treated me like a stranger not to be trusted.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Used Liberty Mutual for home and auto for nearly 15 years. They are easy to contact by phone, responsive when there is any issue, and always willing to work with pricing for premiums. Payments for damages are quick.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I had a small fire in my home in January 2020. My gas furnace caught fire. My claim, which was over 30k, was settled and paid within a few weeks. I was impressed with the quickness and professionalism shown by Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Liberty Mutual has not paid for all the damages to my home. They paid a higher amount for siding and a patio door and revised the payments downward by thousands of dollars. They have failed to tell me why. A public adjustor states insurance is not allowed to do this and yet they have. They have failed to work with my contractor to pay for the damages to my home. They changed carpet pricing three times within a couple of months. They lowered the price to .79 cents a square foot and only raised to $6.13 once the carpet was sent to Itel. They allowed $33K+ for siding and then lowered this amount the following year when I submitted an estimate from a contractor for more.

They lowered to the low $20K. They removed line items they previously paid from future revisions. They keep reassign my claim to new people who know less about the claim. I asked them to explain how they arrived at the amounts on the claim detail and they will not explain the legal authority to me that allowed them to just go in and modify the claim.

They also split my claim and it took over 4 years for insurance to acknowledge I had a roof that needed replacing. My claim involves more than three trades and they have not added O & P to the second claim. For 4 years insurance denied there was interior damage to many areas of my home because of roof damage in a storm. Then when they acknowledged and decided to pay for the roof I was told that the interior damage to the living room ceiling was pre-existing until 2020 when a claims adjustor admitted it was reasonable to have water damage to the interior when the roof was damage.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Aggressive and brutal marketing department. Agents keep contacting you to buy more. Takes days to get off their do not call list. Customer service department is a joke. Average wait time for me was 15 minutes to get an agent. Information from agents vary greatly depending who you get. Keep calling back until you get one that shows they actually care.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I am a registered nurse for 37 years. As an RN I have responded to many emergency situations throughout the years. If I were in need I would hope there would be assistance. Unfortunately I was disappointed by the claims department at Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. On July 6th 2020 there was a major Thunder and lightning rainstorm. As a result my air conditioning unit was struck by lightning. I know this because I was at home at the time of the event. My circuit breaker turned to the off position and my HVAC unit was unable to cool my home. I contacted Amstel -an HVAC company- and the technician confirmed that the unit was grounded as a result of the lightning and the terminals were burnt. A claim was initiated at Liberty Mutual by John "Clint" **.

I was informed Liberty Mutual would need to send HVAC investigators -Ben ** 888-407-5224 extension ** -to my home in order to investigate the system. Their technician entered my home without a mask (Covid). His findings were normal wear and tear. HVAC investigators' findings were in stark contrast of Amstel's findings. In the interim I purchased several portable air conditioners as it is 95° to 100° in the state of Delaware. A conference call with John Clint **, Ben **, John **, and I was placed on July 15th 2020.

It was determined that my claim was denied as Liberty Mutual had faith in HVAC investigators' report and chose to ignore Amstel's report that the terminals were burnt off as a result of the lightning from the storm. As a consumer it was my hope that Liberty Mutual -my insurance company for MANY YEARS-would assist me in my time of need. I am NOT SURPRISED Liberty mutual chose to believe the company they hired....THEY WILL SAVE $8000!!!

Original review: July 6, 2020

Was struck by a severe hail storm May 2018. Independent estimators were all over our subdivision but would not touch mine because I was insured by Liberty Mutual so I had to use theirs, property professionals. New roof was installed within a month but all the other work was put on ignore. Noticed leak within a few weeks after the new roof was installed. Leak was repaired a year later after black mold has set in. Have gone through three representatives of professional properties including the owner who did absolutely nothing the two weeks he was here but lied and did not show up when he said he would on numerous occasions.

The siding went up about a year later that was damaged along with the gutters which were not installed properly and developed leaks behind the gutter. Also killed a lot of my plants and flowers around the house for being covered so long when the roof was being installed. I even lost 12 Koi fish in my pond due to the shingle material going into it and the fish digesting it. Back to the leak, they sprayed some substance on it instead of replacing the drywall and threw drywall mud on top of that. Having had enough I kicked all of them off the job and settled for a cash payment. Liberty Mutual has good prices but you better hope you never have a claim. I later found out independent contractors would not touch Liberty Mutual because their payment method took over six months to collect.

Original review: June 9, 2020

A Liberty Mutual representative visited my residence during the last week of February or the early first week of March and asked my boyfriend if it was alright to look around the property and take pictures. He asked me later that day if I was aware of the visit by Liberty Mutual and I told him no because I was not informed at that time. The following week on March 9, 2020, I received the inspection notification letter. The letter stated, “no action is required at this time.” Additionally, the letter was dated February 28th and was not received until ten days later, far after the visit. This occurrence appears to be conniving.

I also had a conversation with a neighbor who had Liberty Mutual also. The neighbor was being charged $6,000 a year. These actions can be classified as redlining if similar occurrences happened within the same vicinity. I thought it was the law to make sure the recipient receive the inspection letter before the inspector shows up. What they have demonstrated is unacceptable behavior and lack of professionalism.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I changed to Liberty Mutual when we refinanced my home 8 years ago. Was told I had a $500 property damage deductible. We have had several wind and hail storms over the last 7 years but this last one caused a leak so decided to have it checked. It was leaking so called and was told that no longer was the $500 deductible valid but now it was 1% of the value of the home. Over $1700 which was totally ignorant of me to continue to do business with a sub par company. All my neighbors had $500 deductibles with their insurance and that is what they had to pay. It is a shame that the rates are 45% higher than most others and their coverage is that pathetic. Time to look for a quality company for $800-900 a year less with quality coverage. It is a shame you are required to give them at least one star when they deserve much less.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have been with Liberty Mutual since 2015 or 2014. I compared their rates in the beginning but not in the 5 years following as I trusted them to be fair with their rates. While getting a lower interest rate, I was told your home owner’s insurance costs was pretty high. So I checked around and found out that they were TWICE as high as a quote I received. Shame on me for not checking. We have never had a home claim with them ever. One minor car accident almost 3 years ago..

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Company Information