Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Liberty Mutual - Homeowners
3.68/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

333 Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This policy was the best rated in my state and offered a family discount as I got other members of my family to sign up. This policy also had the lowest deductible and built in incentives to pay ahead to get a lower overall rate. The application was at first dull and froze and was not ideal for me to use. I like to pay online, and paying through the application would be easiest. They finally got it worked out, the bugs and works well now. I like the quote I received as well as the customer service. I like the ability to create a customized plan that fits my needs. I had to file a claim in regards to my roof and I was able to get everything covered. I believe in my company and they stand with me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Liberty Mutual came recommended by a person I trust that has done business with the local office for over 25 years. The receptionist was very nice and knowledgeable. She understood my needs and was able to easily explain their services and products and how they were in actually much more advantageous than the original policy. It took the local office a couple of tries while working with the regional office to get the policy correct though. Also they needed to coordinate better between the offices because in the beginning when we first engaged the insurance company we had 2 offices attempting to take care of our new policy. Now while that is considerate it semi confused the situation because we started to get multiple mailings regarding our homeowners policy with either incorrect or diverse items on the separate policies.

Other than that, I like their price, ease of acquisition covers more for less than the previous insurance, was able to change in one days notice of requesting insurance and was covered that same day. Deductible was less as well as they reviewed the old policy and recommended a decrease in coverage that saved money. All in all the experience was very nice and did not take up considerable time.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have remained insured with Liberty for the last 25 years. I refuse to purchase insurance from an online carrier where you just "click". I have dealt with online insurers for my clients and they are not as credible as they say. Liberty handles everything in a very predictable manner. Their billing is accurate, they respond quickly. When they say they will call back they do. The rates I pay are comparable to the other companies in the marketplace and the coverage is very broad. They are constantly adding features to broaden their coverage too. They have paid a few claims over the years and have not raised my rates. The only complaint I have is they bought the insurance company that I was insured with called Safeco, which was a great local insurance company. Now they are part of Liberty Mutual, a much bigger insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Liberty Mutual has excellent customer service from calling in to the main 800 number to communication with our agent and his office. He has been great. As first time homeowners we did not understand a lot of the technical terms on the policies - he took time to explain each term and section and how it would pertain to us as well as how it could impact price. Overall he helped us narrow down our policy to the best option for our needs and he never pushed us towards the more expensive option. It was a very honest and trustworthy process. In the end we also moved our auto and purchased life insurance from them as well.

If our Agent wasn't as amazing as he was we would have had trouble understanding sections of the policy as we never owned a home before. Liberty could perhaps have a section online or a pamphlet for first time buyer or general customers that explains some terminology. It is intimidating at first when you begin to look for policies. Other than that, our policy gave us the right amount of coverage we needed at an affordable price. We got to chose coverage to fit our climate. We reside in and we were able to bundle other insurances to lower the price. Even moving auto and life over were more affordable on their own. I was also able to get a discount as well for where I graduated college from and because of the type of degree I received. They have other perks the agent can assist you with.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I feel bad for those who have had negative experiences with Liberty Mutual home insurance. I read those reviews after a tree fell on our garage and worried about it. But, we had an excellent experience. We have had Liberty Mutual home insurance since 2005. They are the only company who will insure our home because it was built in 1850. They are also the most reasonable insurers. This incident was the first home loss claim we have filed.

A tree fell on our house on a Saturday. We called emergency tree service first and then Liberty Mutual. On Tuesday morning, the adjuster, Will, came to the house to inspect. He was very professional and understanding. He cut us a check on the spot for 1/3 of our policy limit. He added the tree service to his system so he could pay them directly, taking stress off of us.

It took a while for us to find legitimate contractors. Once we did, I sent three estimates to Will. He reviewed them. I told him we were ready to start the work. Within three days, he stopped by our house with a check for the balance. On top of that all, he forgave our $1000 deductible because the garage ended up being way more expensive to replace than anyone could have guessed. My experience with Liberty Mutual has been nothing but excellent. He responded to phone calls and emails in a timely manner. I never felt abandoned or stranded throughout this entire process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

33 years with LM, no claims, $2500 deductible. I receive my renewal along with a note, NC rates for my policy is $1365.00, LM sent me a bill for $2879. Thought it was a mistake, nope. 33 years with Home, Auto, RV, and Liability...and they didn’t care. Went with Farm Bureau for all policies...over $2000 in savings.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I’ve had my homeowners insurance with Liberty Mutual for 11 years. My premiums went up every year, I called about 5 years in and was told the increase was due to normal inflation. This is the first home I’ve owned, so I didn’t know any better. I haven’t had a dedicated sales rep the entire time I’ve been with them. I received a call from someone in my offering to requote my policy and add auto, my homeowners went from $1882 to $984 for the year! It didn’t seem right so I told her I wanted to review before changing anything to make sure I wasn’t giving up any coverage. Sure enough, everything was the same and she even added flood coverage. So I called back in June to have it changed and she was no longer an employee there.

I questioned the rep I talked to as to why it could drop so much and why no one ever contacted me in all these years, and she said there’s a note on my renewal that you can call in to have your policy refugees and that they don’t have dedicated reps in all their locations. I told her my insurance is escrowed and I’ve never received letters nor statements from them. She looked and I was set up for an online account 8 years ago. I didn’t set that up!! The email address and username it’s set up Under IS NOT one I would have used! I told her I’m pissed that I’ve been paying double for years and no one has ever contacted me about this! Needless to say, I didn’t switch my auto insurance to them and I’m currently shopping elsewhere for homeowners insurance. Steer clear from this company!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Is there a negative star -*. My house was burglarized, they took jewelry, cameras, tools, equipment, art supplies. My deductible was a thousand, they said because all the items were under 1,000 they were not going to pay. All the items were over 5,000. I turned in all the receipts and they brushed me off with excuses. They need to lose their license in California. I'm changing insurance companies, oh and they raised my rates. Looooossssers!

Original review: June 29, 2019

We had purchased home insurance for many years from Liberty Mutual, when we had damage from a windstorm we were told we were not covered for that kind of damage and we could not even get an adjuster to come out and look at the damage. Needless to say, I ended up paying for the damage myself. This insurance co should lose their license to sell insurance in Connecticut forever. It is nothing but a scam company.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Liberty Mutual RAISED our rate on our homeowners insurance 70%!!! We had a claim for sewer backup after a HEAVY rain, we had sewer backup insurance on the policy. I would stay clear of this company, isn't that what insurance is for is when a disaster happens? Now a 70% disaster!!!

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.

• Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.

• Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.

• Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.

• Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky