Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

3.8/5 (149 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Multiple policy options
  • Add-on natural disaster coverage
  • Policy bundle discounts

Cons

• Services dependent on technology
  • No mold-specific coverage

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual offers a wide variety of home insurance options, including add-ons like natural disaster protection. It also has discounts for policy bundles and new homes. The company has a reputation for quality customer service.

Top Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They a...

Verified

My husband chose Liberty Mutual more than 12 years ago without discussing it with me and I have been satisfied with them as they always treat me right every time I file a claim wi...

What is Liberty Mutual home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that provides multiple home protection policies. It has a variety of standard insurance options for homeowners, including additional coverage for damages due to natural disasters, as well as personal property replacement.

Liberty Mutual writes home insurance policies in select states, and its optional coverage might be limited in some locations. Its coverage requires a home inspection; your policy could be adjusted depending on the assessment.

What does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual provides comprehensive home coverage, including:

• Personal property coverage
  • Wind and hail coverage
  • Hurricane coverage
  • Escape of water coverage
  • Loss of rent coverage

Liberty Mutual sets itself apart from other insurers by offering an optional coverage, Inflation Protection, which provides a discount on policy premiums during the renewal period.

Liberty Mutual home insurance quotes and costs

Due to the ever-changing nature of home insurance, Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its policy rates on the website; however, the company does provide home insurance quotes through its online quoting tool. As with most home insurance providers, Liberty Mutual’s rates are determined by home location and age, as well as surrounding weather conditions and overall wear and tear.

Liberty Mutual offers two-tiered home insurance packages, which combine a basic coverage plan with various add-on services like personal property replacement and water backup coverage. It also offers discounts for policy bundling and for new homes.

Liberty Mutual home insurance FAQ

Where is Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance available?
Liberty Mutual is available in more than 25 states.
How do I file a home insurance claim with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual has easy online claims filing. You can visit its website to fill out the claims form; the process takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Once you send your details, a representative will contact you for more information.
Does Liberty Mutual cover older homes?
The company doesn’t specify any home age limits, but its website has a tool to help you determine whether or not it will cover your home.

Is Liberty Mutual good home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is a well-known insurance provider, and its plans come with solid coverage options and additional coverage that’s ideal for homeowners in areas with frequent natural disasters. Though it has limited availability and doesn't offer all add-on coverages in all its locations, Liberty Mutual is worth considering if you’re in its service area and searching for a new insurance provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

We have Liberty Mutual Safe Co homeowners insurance but not for long! The customer service is bottom of the barrell. Destanea was assigned to our claim and she is absolutely apathetic and there were kids in the background on every call. The policy and exclusions are what they are but when the company's representatives do not care, they will not retain customers. I implore Liberty Mutual to listen to those calls. She DOES NOT care. The company needs way more info to make a decision and we are not getting the opportunity to provide it. They are denying the claim without seeing/understanding the damage and mitigation required. They have not talked to the plumbers, the demo/tile company or the folks restoring our torn up house. We are switching insurance yesterday!

Original review: April 21, 2022

The very first time I have put in a claim, they denied my claim. There was a slow leak behind my refrigerator, but water was not leaking out. When we smelled a musty smell, we moved the refrigerator and found the leak. It had damaged a kitchen cabinet, the wall of the closet, the pantry wall, and a hall closet because of where it was located. They denied it because I should have known, but there wasn't a leak, smell, or anything until there was. As soon as I found it, I reported it. Very frustrating paying insurance for years to get denied the first claim you put in with the company. They collect premiums, but are not there when you need them. I would give zero stars if I could.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Ever since I filed a claim I’ve been treated terribly. Can’t get anyone to return calls. Took almost a year to get my claim going. It’s still not closed because work can’t get done. They issued check to wrong mortgage company. Took month to get that fixed. Can’t get anywhere with any reps. Very rude and unprofessional. Worse experience I’ve ever encountered with Ins company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

For more than 15 years, Liberty Mutual charged me 630 a month for homeowners' insurance through Ocwen and PHH Mortgage Co. I paid 630 a month for 17 years. Now after dropping them for Allstate, I pay around 130 a month for better insurance. Because of Liberty Mutual, my mortgage loan is now twice what I originally paid for the house. They did this because I didn't know any better.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My roof was impacted by epic rainfall from multiple storm time there is rainfall. I followed Liberty Mutual procedures and filed a claim on the website. Uploaded pictures and a quote for repairs from a local roofer. I have waited for nearly 60 days and no inspector has been to my house. I continue to update the website with pictures and comments. The water continues to drip in my house.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have been with this company for over 30 years. I have a hard time getting another company insure our home as I am in Southern California and back-up to some wild grasslands. I have shopped for a better rate several times and could not find one.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Beware of Liberty Mutual homeowner insurance. They issue you ACV (Actual Cash value) option to your roof instead of RCV (replacement cost value). You won't know what this is about until you file your claim unless you have the knowledge of it. This means if you replace your roof, you won't be 100% covered by the cost. Your old roof will be depreciated and be subtracted from actual replacement cost. i.e. you pay extra out of your pocket. Liberty Mutual will only do this to Texas residents ONLY as per their claim! If you currently insured under Liberty Mutual, be prepared to talk to that Emu when you are having a claim!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Very easy to reach, always someone available to answer questions, more coverage for a lower price than my previous insurance. I switched because the old insurance kept raising prices by a lot. Liberty Mutual has so far not raised prices.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I have had Liberty Mutual for years & thankfully have not had to put in a claim, especially with the major winds & rainstorms that we have been getting here in NJ in the past few years, but I am very confident that in the event I would need to do so, I would have no issues.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Their customer service is the best; they really try to fit their customers with the right policy for their individual needs. If you have an issue or concern, they are always available to assist you and always try to help. They aren't too pushy or aggressive like other insurance companies that I have dealt with. Lastly, their premiums are affordable for whatever coverage you choose.

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Company Information