Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had a long hail storm the other day and I called Liberty Mutual to see if someone could look at our house/car to determine if there was any damage and if so to file a claim. Imagine my surprise when I found out from a friend that simply BY CALLING, they consider that a claim and your rates can/will go up! I quickly was able to stop the house claim. However the car claim can't be reversed EVEN when NOBODY even looked at the car yet!! Apparently not all insurance companies work like this.

My friend works for Am Fam and she said they consider hail an act of nature and it is what they consider an "un-chargeable claim" -- just keep that in mind. What a person SHOULD do is have someone look at it FIRST, unrelated to the insurance company and if they say it looks like you need to file a claim, only then call the insurance company. Another issue I had with Liberty Mutual is when my husband had his very first speeding ticket at age 48 they raised premiums for 3-5 years!

On 11-07-2015 while my wife and I were away our house caught fire from a outlet. There was not a lot of fire damage, but heat, suite, and water. At first they were talking to us then they said possible arson, they accused and threated us, my wife and I went and hired a lawyer. Our damages for house and contents was around $200,000.00. We had some antiques, new double oven and other newer appliances, not counting all of clothes, everything in the house had smoke and soot on and in them. They offered us $89,000.00 total in July 2016, we are going to court and they still have not offered any more than $130,000.00. Liberty Mutual should be investigated for the way it treats its customers. Plus they increased our premium from $1100.00 to $2500.00 a year. My wife and I are retired and I am disabled.

These people are the worse. They take your money and when it comes to paying a claim they try to find every excuse possible not to pay for certain things. The roofers had to remove shingles and in doing so had to remove part of the lower flashing of the chimney. Well Liberty Mutual does not want to cover the chimney work. The worse. Do not waste your time with them. Find someone else.

I had my house and auto combine with this company. Suffer roof damage, the adjuster forgot our appointment! We have to wait a long time and the claim for roof is awful! And not fair! We will change company which have better service.

The first of May I had changed my insurance over to Liberty Mutual. Exactly 7 day later a very intense hail storm hit my home in Colorado pitting my roof and vehicles. I had not entered a claim on the roof despite the 30 or so roofing companies that had stopped my house. I was going to wait a bit due to the large number of claims being submitted. On June 1st I received a email from Liberty Mutual stating that they are cancelling my policy due to "roof worn due to impact marks and granule loss" AKA HAIL DAMAGE!!! My current roof is less than 10 years old and was damaged from the hail storm. After speaking with customer service they agreed to send out a adjuster but my policy will still terminate July 5th. I would highly recommend against doing business with Liberty Mutual!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

I signed up for a new homeowners policy with this company. They sent out this know nothing guy to look over my property. A few weeks later I get a call that my insurance is being terminated because of two reasons. My wood stove chimney was not cleaned. The guy never even looked or asked when I cleaned it. BTW - The chimney was and is cleaned yearly prior to each season. I had an old refrigerator with no doors on it by my shed waiting for the next bulk trash day to get rid of it and this was the other reason. They gave me no option to remove it sooner. This company can take their insurance and their products and shove them where the sun does not shine. I would not waste taking the time to let one of their hacks into your home. Go with a more reputable company. I called a more reputable company that same day and was insured immediately with no issues and for a better rate. Liberty Mutual is the bottom of the barrel. Horrible company.

When we were hit by baseball size hail in 2016. I spent 6 months of my life fighting daily with Liberty Mutual who paid out ACV reimbursement instead of RCV for damaged items and I only ended up receiving 1/5 of the RCV reimbursement. Liberty Mutual - our claim rep, and his Boss rarely returned phone calls, never answer emails and basically just blew me off. I was totally on my own fighting for my claim reimbursement. What a miserable and isolated experience to go through. Do not get coverage from LIBERTY MUTUAL unless you never have a claim to file.

So libertymutual.com doesn't cover much when your 150 gallon fish tank explodes and ruins the floors throughout your entire first floor... Including your iPhone and iPad and brand new Roomba that were charging on your end table and smashed by the tidal wave, and your newly reupholstered 120 yr old couch and of course the fish tank that was so cool a lot of people pinned the photo of it on Pinterest. They only cover cleanup.

Liberty Mutual is hands down the worst insurance company in America today. I had this insurer for two claims I was handling on behalf of Home Owners who had suffered loss due to hail and wind damage in Illinois. I worked 200 claims last year and Liberty Mutual insured two of those claims representing 1% of the claims for 2016. Is it coincidence that those two claims were by far the worst two claims of the year? Can I chalk that up to coincidence, or is this the practice of the insurer who simply refuses to pay out when a loss occurs? One claim in Troy, Illinois took 6 months of fighting to even get it to the point of making any profit at all on the work to be performed. The second was settled much quicker, but only because they were so bad at handling the claim the supervisor just accepted my estimate after the email I sent her.

Their adjuster came out and wrote a decent scope of work only for the local or regional manager to follow up with a different adjuster within a week. The "BOSS" whose name was Kevin jumped on the roof, and never even made the Homeowners aware he was coming and ripped off our tarp leaving it hanging off the edge of the home and then went inside to the mother of the home and started bashing our company. He stated we were a fraud company who didn't even install the tarp in the right location. Our tarp team spent over an hour in the attic locating the leak and knew exactly where it was coming in the home. This punk manager never once climbed in the attic and spent a grand total of 15 minutes on the property, and then turned around and stormed off leaving the mother in a complete panic.

I left dinner with my family after receiving the call from the husband and had to drive 45 minutes to bring peace to a situation that was brought out of thin air by a manager who should know better than to do what he did that day. All it took was one really stirring email and my estimate was accepted immediately. The only reason they accepted it was because someone in that company realized how bad their own internal affairs are and simply had no choice but to agree.

Follow up 2016 and my first Liberty Mutual claim of 2017 was one week after the largest hail storm our town has ever seen, struck of Feb 28. A roof here in town which we replaced for the owner in November of 2016 because Liberty Mutual denied his claim last year was installed out of pocket for the owners at $12,500. Now a brand new roof with much better shingles and ice shield all over the place was purchased by Liberty Mutual at $12,000 including shattered windows, gutters and downspouts, Beat up stainless steel chimney cap (installed in Nov) gutter protection, siding damage, shutter damage, content damage. It was conveniently hand measured by a new adjuster over 20 squares short.

They received our estimate this week for over $32,000 and called immediately saying there would be a second inspection. I will most likely be meeting this same punk manager from last year at this property this coming week and believe me he will not be receiving an ounce of mercy from myself, nor my company due to the fact that they have no business in our industry. Perhaps they should find another line of work because indemnifying a HO after a claim is something they really suck at. The government needs to step in and shut these clowns down for good. I spoke to these owners and after this claim is finished they will be switching insurance companies and going with a real insurance company like State Farm or USAA.

I find out today that Liberty Mutual is the insurer for another customer of mine that I just did a roof patch on in a nearby town, and once I heard the name I totally prepared the owners to put on their gloves and after the inspection to follow, which is almost a guarantee to be denied for some ridiculous reason, I am simply turning this over to a private adjuster and then to the State of Illinois Department of Insurance. They are charging these customers over $350 a month for a home that cannot be valued more than $100,000. Now someone explain the justice in that? I have a home that has a replacement cost of insurance set at $1.9 Million dollars and pay the exact same as this elderly couple trying to survive in this mad world.

Blow the whistle on this company as it is more than evident these God awful claims are not the result of incompetent adjusters because the math and probability of such a thing is impossible. This is the result of company policy and procedure that simply teach their entire team not to indemnify homeowners after a loss, even after price gouging the elderly and the poor. I happen to be one who welcomes any fight when I am representing an elderly couple, so I am telling Liberty Mutual right now to bring it on because they don't want any of what they are about to get from me next week. I can only pray that their manager shows up. The same manager who pulled his stunt last year is the one I am praying for this year. It's time he learn a lesson when dealing with someone who knows more about insurance and fair valuations than he ever will.

When you hear the name Liberty Mutual you better run for your life. Spread the word to all your friends and family to cancel their policies with this insurance company if they know what's good for them. Unless they love paying overpriced premiums for insurance that is never going to be available to them when they do need to make a claim.

We had put in a claim for a new roof in 2015 due to the ice dams that built up and ended up causing interior damage. The Liberty Mutual adjuster was friendly and knowledgeable. He examined the roof along with a contractor we hired to give us a free estimate. The contractor replaced the whole roof and also the interior wall around our 10-foot bay window where there was water damage. It was a very pleasant experience in all and the adjuster stayed in touch with us thru the whole process. Extremely happy with this company.

I cut my premiums (3 cars, home, renter, and an umbrella policy) by half. They have given me requested info expeditiously and their reps are very professional.

Only good experiences with this company for over 15 years or so. I had two claims and both were addressed promptly and fairly in consideration of my insurance policy. I would definitely recommend them. The two lower scores of 4 vs 5 having to do with cost/coverage is mostly because I have no comparison and as a Sr. citizen on a very fixed income, I feel like I am paying at my limit and rate keep rising.

I only recently started homeowners insurance with Liberty Mutual via GEICO Insurance. They are easily 40% less than other historically big name-founded insurance companies yet have same amounts of coverage for claims, etc.

Worst homeowners insurance company. Zero stars. I had Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance for over 13 years, never once filed a claim for anything and always paid my premium. After a hurricane came close to Oahu a few weeks after they did "random" home inspections. No one contacted me that they were coming. I got a letter saying my insurance would be canceled due to trees close to house and a rain gutter that was not secured. After contacting Liberty Mutual on the phone they said if I make the repairs and email pictures they would not cancel.

I immediately trimmed a few trees and replaced the rain gutter which I might add was in the same shape as when they originally insured my home. I email pictures of the repairs but no answer, email again and verified that I had correct email still no answer, sent a letter with explanation and pictures no answer. Finally almost 1 1/2 month later I talk with customer service. They say that once they cancel they do not reinstate the policy. Exactly the opposite of what they told me 6 weeks before. They are greedy, saw possibility of actually having to pay a claim and cancel many policies here in Hawaii. They should be reported to the Better Business Bureau for bad practices and are not true to what they say. Timing is too coincidence that the hurricane passed by a few weeks before they would probably have not paid a claim anything to get out of it just as they collect my policy plan for 13 years then dump me.

I had a blanket coverage for Jewelry. When I lost a few items they concluded the items stolen instead of lost and have taken more than six months to resolve, then they want to document it with their lawyer court reporter and bring all items on board that don't even pertain to your claim, like 3 years tax return, checking account history. Not worth the time to deal with the BS. After 1 claim they send in their pathetic unreasonable lawyer's.

Never ever in 25 years dealt with such stubbornness. Liberty Mutual Prides itself in paying claims, but on their time & terms! I pray you will see this and avoid companies alike, not to mention this is a international company, find an American company. That is why we pay the high rate of broad coverage, so in case something happens we can quickly replace the item instead of preying on the disabled who cannot deal with stress as such. It even grosses me out that this international company uses our statue of liberty for their branding.

All those looking for car insurance, do NOT consider Liberty Mutual. They told us that they would take automatic payments out of our account at the beginning of each month and then failed to tell us that they weren't authorized until we signed a form and sent it back. They failed to sent us that form in the mail. They failed to inform us that they weren't taking payments out like they said they would (I admit, we should have been keeping better track). They failed to let us know that they cancelled our insurance and had left us unknowingly without it for 2 months. They failed to mention that we owe them a certain sum of money and that they would send that debt to collections.

We got the letter in the mail from collections today and that is how we found out that we haven't had insurance for a while, that we owe money, and that oh by the way our credit is being threatened. COLLECTIONS had to let us know, and Liberty Mutual never told us ANYTHING. No email, no call, nothing in the mail, NOTHING. They are unorganized, back shanking buffoons who don't deserve my money. End of rant.

My husband and I have had Liberty Mutual insurance for a one year for auto and home. We received notice that both rates increased, especially the homeowners insurance. The rep informed me that "the first year we had certain credits (which we were unaware of) and now the roof, furnace and other home coverages are older. Just like a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread, prices go up." In one year? We have a ten year old home. We had no insurance claims within this year. He could not give me a justifiable reason. Same with the auto insurance. I have not had an accident in twenty years nor a speeding ticket. I live in rural Indiana. Yet my auto ins. increased. We are in the process of canceling coverage with this company. Sounds like rates will increase annually due to the roof getting "older" and my terrible auto driving history.

Customer comments here encouraging me to share you my experiences with Liberty Mutual insurance.

1) They're always come up with many excuses to raise your premium because of many other claims (even if you have NO claim).
2) The TV commercial are the paid actors/actress and NOT regular consumers like us. The replace new vehicle is ONLY FOR BRAND NEW VEHICLE & ONLY for the first 12 months.

3) I had a claim in for slow water leak behind the wall and between my shower and the clothes (water is only leak when the shower is turn on). Their adjusters came and refused to pay because they said this have been leak for a while and blame for not keep up. NOTES: I called them when I see the first leak thru wall. Whatever the reason is/are... we are the policyholder and Liberty Mutual responsible to take care of our home/auto claims.

I finally LEFT Liberty Mutual insurance for good. I took ALL my family members and friends AWAY. For those of you want Liberty Mutual to be your home/auto, do yourself a favor. Do your research online. Just remember this and DO NOT be afraid. You buy insurance because you will need some insurance stand behind you and fix the problems with ease to you and NOT add headache to your issue.

We LEFT and much much happy with the current insurance company that we have now. My new insurance company name start out with letter "A-i-A" (sorry, I am not sure ConsumerAffairs will post my review. But I am NOT promote the whole name spell out) and on top of my home policy I get a check dividend just last 02/2017 was $305.00 because they treat us like a stakeholder. Anyway, I just want to share my bad past experience and hope that you can find one will help and stand behind you in the future.

I had insurance with them for almost 2 years. I'm disabled barely making it. Never had a claim. They increased my premium without telling me and took it off my debit without even asking me. I ask why and the lady told me they had to pay out a lot for other claims. They made me short on my food that month. They really stood by me. The Salt Lake city utah office all they're about is money. Nothing else.

Start out canceling my home policy. They do not inform me about the changes that would affect my car policies and increases. When I called to get that changed they screwed that up and I didn't find out for another month and they would now refuse reverse fees. Now when I'm changing I don't insurance is. Now when I called to cancel the representative told me I was current and I want only thing but just in the slim chance that I would have a bill they would send me out a paper bill.

Now I receive the paper bill. It's seven dollars more than my monthly bill was and they are almost 3 times the amount of my new insurance company is even charging me for better coverage and lower deductible. When I called customer service to ask them questions customer service was even getting confused about why and how it is billed. Nobody could give me a straight answers except for "this is the way it is and this is what you owe" Let alone the troubles I had with them when my car got broke into.

I called the claim department. The first person I talked to got the information, then transfer me to another person. His name is Robert **. So we started the claim. I told him I had 3 broken Windows. He asked if they happened at the same time, of course I told him the way they happened. He said "so then the windows didn't brake at the same time." I said "well not exactly." He said "well we are going to file 3 different claims" which the deductible is 500 hundred dollars per claim which means that Liberty Mutual will raise my insurance fee and I'm gonna end it up paying out of my pocket for the broken windows. I do not recommend Liberty Mutual. As they say in their TV ad I didn't pick the wrong insurance policy I picked the wrong insurance company. I have been their customers for about ten years and this is how they treat their customers - bad, bad, very bad.

Couple weeks ago, we had called Liberty Mutual for a leak that was coming thru our window panel. First we were told that this would be covered. Then we found out that the mold was over 14 days old so it would not be covered. From there onwards, this company has been nothing but a nightmare. The worst insurance company to deal with and the people working there are liars. Stay away from this company. I am cancelling their service.

Liberty Mutual sent their own contractor who filed damages that weren't there. The damage I had from a tornado were classified as preexisting and I had to argue with them and produce pictures to show the condition of my home prior to storm. Thank goodness I take pictures all the time.

What happened to the American people helping one another? I have had Liberty Mutual for over 17 years and never once filed a claim. The past month has been hell with them. I had water damage that I found out created black mold and crumbling rot. I took care of half of my roof project last year as I couldn't afford to do it all. This past month was where all the damage occurred. I spent $17,000 on this as I was out of state and the company had my whole side of my house open due to black mold and rot.

When I called Liberty Mutual they would not help in anyway. I sent receipts from reputable companies listing the problems and what had to be fixed. I sent pictures as well. Finally Gary ** says he will come out, thinking he would see the damage and hear my story he said he would only give me money to fix one cupboard and a 12x4 piece of drywall. I asked why he even came out, his response.... to meet me. Great. I took off a day of work to meet Gary **. I then asked for his supervisor Heather **. Apparently she didn't like my survey and wanted to discuss but did not help me. After a week of trying to get her I said I will call her supervisor, hence a quick return call from Heather again doing nothing but talking about my survey. I left 2 messages for Andrew the head supervisor and nothing.

I am canceling my policy. I can't believe after all these years they couldn't help me a little. When I said the other part of the roof wasn't done. Heather said it would have to cave in before they could do anything. So basically let the fire burn then try to put it out. What is wrong with thinking? I have children, work and am doing my best for a life, now I need to save up 5,000 more dollars to fix other half of roof before I let it cave in on my kids like Heather was basically saying and I still owe 10,000 from fixing old problem. If they would fix water damage to my one cupboard and little piece of wall why not the rest. They claim because I already fixed it.... well yes black mold and children don't mix so of course I took care of it. Go elsewhere, do not trust their commercials. They leave you high and dry.

My husband I cancelled out insurance with Liberty Mutual over a month ago. A check was supposed to be sent back then for mortgage premium. I called twice inquiring about the check and girl told me yes it was mailed a few days after canceling. Now a month later my husband calls... check was mailed to an address we had 6 months ago in another state! Yes, I'm angry. Last days she needs to reinstate policy to correct the address. Address in the other state was NEVER given to LM and never insured under them. How and why did that use an address that was 6 months old in another address. Then a man calls back this morning and says that I owe for our auto policy, also cancelled a month ago. I explained that refunded me at the time for that policy as well and now that want a payment. Don't insure with Liberty Mutual or watch your billing and policies VERY closely!

House had a kitchen fire in May of 2016. It is now October 18th and Liberty Mutual has run me through 3 investigators and last week they actually sent me to their lawyer to be deposed under oath! They are not accusing me of anything, nor was the fire my fault. They have raised my premium over the course of 6 years from $1,100 to $2,400 and the recent claim has been my only claim. Five months since the fire and Liberty Mutual is not there to help. I am without a house, and apparently I have to start begging friends for help to get my house fixed.

We purchased a Home and auto package from Liberty Mutual about 3 years ago. During these three years, we have never had a claim nor have we had any tickets. We noticed last year on our homeowners it went up, due to inflation. Ok fine. Then this year in June my auto payment that is taken directly from my acct went up. Not just a little, A LOT! So I call them. Our vehicle policy went up $650 a year. Never having a claim or a ticket, I'm furious. Their only explanation to me is it's a State Increase. Even the lady I talked to thought it was a bit extreme. So we find a new insurance company, Nationwide, who ends up getting us a policy for almost &1000 dollars less than what we were paying. That's not the end... we call Liberty Mutual to cancel our policy September 1st. They say we owe them for September for auto and will be receiving a final bill.

They also tell us we will be receiving a check in the mail for a refund for our mortgage insurance. We receive the bill 2 days later. The check on the other hand, still has not gotten to us almost 40 days later and 2 phone calls. First time they mailed it to the wrong address. Hmmm. Second time we call Elizabeth **. Says she will mail us the check, instead she reactivates our policy applying our refund to a policy that we closed, but I'm sure they will want their final payment within 40 days for the auto payment. Ummm can you say circus! Get it together. I will NEVER recommend these clowns! We are notifying our attorney.

I got a letter from my home loan company about my escrow being -2500. My home insurance last year was 2100 and went up to 2400. I called to tell them I wanted them to lower my replacement cost. I bought my house for 136k and their replacement cost was 526k. They wouldn't lower the replacement cost so I called Allstate. In 10 min I lowered my premium to 1400. They are rip off artists. Also we had a hail storm and wanted them to come check out the damage and they said if they come out I will get a hit against my insurance even if no damage.

Never had a claim so I can't comment in that area however, if you're looking for a company to increase your rates annually, Liberty Mutual is the place for you. Been with them 3 years now, every year $200.00 premium increase, and they weren't cheap from the start. Currently looking for another company.

I want to share this disappointed and really uncomfortable situation. By the end of August I got a backflow due a malfunction of my sump pump, during the middle of the night and just myself and two small kids. While I was trying to wash my 1 year old daughter I noticed that no hot water was coming from shower, so I decide to check the water heater. As soon I open the basement door I hear a strong noise coming from basement. Then when I turn the light the entire basement was flooded.

At that moment I google some local plumbing companies around my neighbor. Nobody pick up or it was off regular hours. My last resource was to call a company located in new york. They came within an hour and half. This company evacuate the water with pumps. They brought and repair the backflow from defective sump pump. They work for several hours trying to dry the basement. They, as a professionals, advise me that water heater stop working due flood damaged the burner and ignite system and then they replace the heater.

Next day I start looking for my insurance policy. While reading I found that I was covered and my deductible was 1000 for backflow sum pump, so I decide to call Liberty Mutual. An adjuster contact me to set an appointment. So the day came and he inspect the property damage, took pictures of everything and advise me that an internal adjuster will contact me. Days come and go and nobody contact me even I send pictures, videos, and invoices. The internal Desk Adjuster Jason ** answer me after several calls. This incident happen to me for first time in my life, so I had many questions. During the conversation this person was very irritated and sarcastic about my questions making me feel uncomfortable, So I decide to raise my concern about his behavior.

At this moment he raise his voice and shouting, so I had tell him why he is behaving like this with a customer. Also many time he provide me wrong information. Like for example "Oh your deductible is 2500 and many of the damage things are not covered." So I explain to him that my deductible is 1000 and I just need correct information. He was keeping being rude and sarcastic. Then he said that he will contact me after investigation. Ok, days pass again and no communication was provide to me, so I decide to call again since he was assigned to my case. Again I start asking questions about the claim and again this person start giving me attitude and being disrespectful, so I inquire to speak with his supervisor, and at this moment he just hang off on me.

If I am writing this paragraphs it's to warn customers to be very careful with this company because allow people like this to treat customers as they are doing them a favor - unprofessional and not helpful at all. The essence to get insurance is to have a peace of mind and that you should be in a good hands and not the opposite, even getting afraid to ask them questions when an accident happens to you of your properties.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.
  • Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.
  • Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.
  • Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.
  • Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance