Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

3.9/5 (403 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Multiple policy options
  • Add-on natural disaster coverage
  • Policy bundle discounts

Cons

• Services dependent on technology
  • No mold-specific coverage

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual offers a wide variety of home insurance options, including add-ons like natural disaster protection. It also has discounts for policy bundles and new homes. The company has a reputation for quality customer service.

Top Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They a...

Verified

My husband chose Liberty Mutual more than 12 years ago without discussing it with me and I have been satisfied with them as they always treat me right every time I file a claim wi...

What is Liberty Mutual home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that provides multiple home protection policies. It has a variety of standard insurance options for homeowners, including additional coverage for damages due to natural disasters, as well as personal property replacement.

Liberty Mutual writes home insurance policies in select states, and its optional coverage might be limited in some locations. Its coverage requires a home inspection; your policy could be adjusted depending on the assessment.

What does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual provides comprehensive home coverage, including:

• Personal property coverage
  • Wind and hail coverage
  • Hurricane coverage
  • Escape of water coverage
  • Loss of rent coverage

Liberty Mutual sets itself apart from other insurers by offering an optional coverage, Inflation Protection, which provides a discount on policy premiums during the renewal period.

Liberty Mutual home insurance quotes and costs

Due to the ever-changing nature of home insurance, Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its policy rates on the website; however, the company does provide home insurance quotes through its online quoting tool. As with most home insurance providers, Liberty Mutual’s rates are determined by home location and age, as well as surrounding weather conditions and overall wear and tear.

Liberty Mutual offers two-tiered home insurance packages, which combine a basic coverage plan with various add-on services like personal property replacement and water backup coverage. It also offers discounts for policy bundling and for new homes.

Liberty Mutual home insurance FAQ

Where is Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance available?
Liberty Mutual is available in more than 25 states.
How do I file a home insurance claim with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual has easy online claims filing. You can visit its website to fill out the claims form; the process takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Once you send your details, a representative will contact you for more information.
Does Liberty Mutual cover older homes?
The company doesn’t specify any home age limits, but its website has a tool to help you determine whether or not it will cover your home.

Is Liberty Mutual good home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is a well-known insurance provider, and its plans come with solid coverage options and additional coverage that’s ideal for homeowners in areas with frequent natural disasters. Though it has limited availability and doesn't offer all add-on coverages in all its locations, Liberty Mutual is worth considering if you’re in its service area and searching for a new insurance provider.

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

This insurance vendor is awful. I would rate them 0 if I could. We were their clients for 4+ years until we tried filing our home insurance claim, because we started seeing water coming from the tiles in our kitchen. Here's when the insane part started. The insurance resisted as if they had to give us their last dollar and the funniest part is that every time they invented different reasons. They sent us their inspector and he wrote a report saying he doesn't see any water. I asked him - how come?! Did you even enter the kitchen? It's enough to step on the tiles and you see it.

Then they sent a 3rd party adjuster who said that we told him that the water issue was the result of earth movement. This was obviously a lie - we're not experts to make such judgments! Then they sent to us a civil engineer who made a fuzzy statement that the plumbing problem might have persisted for months. We asked to clarify what "months" is, but the insurance happily sticked to this fuzzy statement and denied our claim saying that the problem started before we got the insurance.

Finally we found ourselves in a situation when our kitchen and bathroom were destroyed (because the insurance inspector said they're going to pay for it) and in the middle of the way the insurance said no and didn't even want to pay for the removal. No need to say we are transferring our insurance policies to another vendor. This was the only time during years we filed a claim and the way they handled it was literally miserable. My advise to people is - avoid this insurance no matter what your situation is. Their policies are cheap but leave them plenty of room for speculations and let find reasons to deny practically any claim.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

I renewed a homeowner policy with them. Paid the full-year premium. Halfway through the policy they let my EX cancel the policy without even notifying me. I found out when my Mortgage company sent me a letter notifying me that I no longer have insurance. The next day I received a refund check in two names that I can not cash or deposit in a single account. I call them and over two days argue about what they are doing about it. They do nothing!! She contacts them back and they let her have the refund sent to her and she was able to cash it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT. I will not stop fighting about this. I am almost 64. I live on disability at $2000 a month. I will not stand this loss! I will not relent!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

We have been with Liberty Mutual for multiple years with no claims and then we had 2 within 3 months of each other for leaking dishwasher and a refrigerator. The agent who came and did the claims assured me it would not effect our rates and if it did it would be small because the claims were not huge. Fast forward to receiving our renewal and the price increase was almost $2000.00 a year. Spoke with phone agent and they verified increase was due to claim and there was nothing they could do. What is really the purpose of having insurance if this is the outcome. Very disappointed with this company as well as with Geico who also raised our auto policy where we have been for 10 years with no claims. All I can say is do your homework before getting insurance and read reviews.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

We have Liberty Mutual Safe Co homeowners insurance but not for long! The customer service is bottom of the barrell. Destanea was assigned to our claim and she is absolutely apathetic and there were kids in the background on every call. The policy and exclusions are what they are but when the company's representatives do not care, they will not retain customers. I implore Liberty Mutual to listen to those calls. She DOES NOT care. The company needs way more info to make a decision and we are not getting the opportunity to provide it. They are denying the claim without seeing/understanding the damage and mitigation required. They have not talked to the plumbers, the demo/tile company or the folks restoring our torn up house. We are switching insurance yesterday!

Original review: April 21, 2022

The very first time I have put in a claim, they denied my claim. There was a slow leak behind my refrigerator, but water was not leaking out. When we smelled a musty smell, we moved the refrigerator and found the leak. It had damaged a kitchen cabinet, the wall of the closet, the pantry wall, and a hall closet because of where it was located. They denied it because I should have known, but there wasn't a leak, smell, or anything until there was. As soon as I found it, I reported it. Very frustrating paying insurance for years to get denied the first claim you put in with the company. They collect premiums, but are not there when you need them. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Ever since I filed a claim I’ve been treated terribly. Can’t get anyone to return calls. Took almost a year to get my claim going. It’s still not closed because work can’t get done. They issued check to wrong mortgage company. Took month to get that fixed. Can’t get anywhere with any reps. Very rude and unprofessional. Worse experience I’ve ever encountered with Ins company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

For more than 15 years, Liberty Mutual charged me 630 a month for homeowners' insurance through Ocwen and PHH Mortgage Co. I paid 630 a month for 17 years. Now after dropping them for Allstate, I pay around 130 a month for better insurance. Because of Liberty Mutual, my mortgage loan is now twice what I originally paid for the house. They did this because I didn't know any better.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My roof was impacted by epic rainfall from multiple storm time there is rainfall. I followed Liberty Mutual procedures and filed a claim on the website. Uploaded pictures and a quote for repairs from a local roofer. I have waited for nearly 60 days and no inspector has been to my house. I continue to update the website with pictures and comments. The water continues to drip in my house.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have been with this company for over 30 years. I have a hard time getting another company insure our home as I am in Southern California and back-up to some wild grasslands. I have shopped for a better rate several times and could not find one.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Beware of Liberty Mutual homeowner insurance. They issue you ACV (Actual Cash value) option to your roof instead of RCV (replacement cost value). You won't know what this is about until you file your claim unless you have the knowledge of it. This means if you replace your roof, you won't be 100% covered by the cost. Your old roof will be depreciated and be subtracted from actual replacement cost. i.e. you pay extra out of your pocket. Liberty Mutual will only do this to Texas residents ONLY as per their claim! If you currently insured under Liberty Mutual, be prepared to talk to that Emu when you are having a claim!

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Company Information