1.91/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

243 Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had a pipe break in my house. Liberty said they would fully pay to have it dried out. They then charged me 2.5 times my deductible. After they tore four rooms out of my house they left the kitchen among other rooms unusable. They told me to get estimates and turn them in, I did. They didn’t like the estimates and told me I need to find someone else. This is now three months after the initial claim. I couldn’t get any more estimates as I had already called every contractor in the phone book. I asked if I could get my house fixed and they told me if I called anyone without their approval, I would not be reimbursed for the repairs. I am now at 7. On the with no kitchen and no way to prepare food for my family.

We have been forced to eat out every night (it’s horrible after a week or so, especially in a small town). They were reimbursing us for our meals but when we turned in the last set of receipts, they told us they were closing our claim. No notice, no repairs were made, nothing. We are now stuck with a bill of 3-5000 for restaurant meals, a $30000 repair bill and still needing to feed a family of 5. Thanks Liberty Mutual for not living up to your policy. By the way, my policy does state that Liberty will pay for all extra expenses incurred due to the damage, including meals. They also tried to take depreciation into account on my floors even though the policy clearly states the damages will be fully repaired regardless of depreciation, it’s to be replaced at replacement cost, no depreciated cost. Worst insurance company ever. I had a similar experience with my auto insurance a few years ago with them. I switched that then, I should have switched my homeowners also.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

So my husband and I were about to purchase a house (we just moved into an apartment at the time) and we wanted to get a quote from Liberty to see if their insurance would be cheaper than Geico (our current carrier). My husband spoke with a salesperson named Jessica (can't recall the last name), and my husband asked about getting a quote on a policy. But something weird was happening. Usually you just get an email or something about a quote, but not this time. She was aggressively trying to get my husband to sign off on paperwork. Wait a minute, you don't that for a quote, so my husband declined and hung up. A few weeks later we get something in the mail from them. It was an actual insurance policy. We didn't sign any paperwork nor did we give them permission to send us anything.

On 9/25/18, We called them and I left a message on their public page on Facebook to let them know that they were scamming us. I spoke with Lauren and Bernard through FB. We had to fill out a cancellation form (why? it's a fake account). They got the fake policy number that we received and we were told that there will be a 48 hour turnaround time for a cancellation. Fine, we thought that this was over. A few weeks later, we have moved into our new home. It is now 10/18/18. My husband went to check our mortgage info and found out that Liberty has received a payment. Wait, what? They're not our insurance company, Geico is. My husband called our mortgage company and found out that they have been harassing them about a payment/late charges, so they sent them a payment.

Once we dug more into this situation, we found out that Liberty didn't decide to cancel the fake account until it was time for a "payment", sent our mortgage company a bill, then once they got the payment, they "cancelled the policy". So apparently scamming people and creating fake accounts is now the new trend for insurance companies. We went through this whole nightmare with them (and still are) all because they want to get extra money from consumers. My husband called them to find out why didn't they cancel the fake policy. Of course there was no answer.

Also, instead of just sending our mortgage company the check back, they wanted us to give them our address so that WE can get the check and send it back to our mortgage company. We were afraid to do that because then that will be another scam for them to create another fake policy. Right now, we're going to wait and see if this fake account is removed and get our refund. If not, then may need to seek legal help. I hope that there are others out there who have had similar situations and take them to court, because this is grounds for a lawsuit.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I feel bad for those who have had negative experiences with Liberty Mutual home insurance. I read those reviews after a tree fell on our garage and worried about it. But, we had an excellent experience. We have had Liberty Mutual home insurance since 2005. They are the only company who will insure our home because it was built in 1850. They are also the most reasonable insurers. This incident was the first home loss claim we have filed.

A tree fell on our house on a Saturday. We called emergency tree service first and then Liberty Mutual. On Tuesday morning, the adjuster, Will, came to the house to inspect. He was very professional and understanding. He cut us a check on the spot for 1/3 of our policy limit. He added the tree service to his system so he could pay them directly, taking stress off of us.

It took a while for us to find legitimate contractors. Once we did, I sent three estimates to Will. He reviewed them. I told him we were ready to start the work. Within three days, he stopped by our house with a check for the balance. On top of that all, he forgave our $1000 deductible because the garage ended up being way more expensive to replace than anyone could have guessed. My experience with Liberty Mutual has been nothing but excellent. He responded to phone calls and emails in a timely manner. I never felt abandoned or stranded throughout this entire process.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Water found in crawl space- not visible in Kitchen- claim approved. Provided check for flooring as one piece even though laundry room not damaged. Our Policy is expanded, full replacement, inflation protection- SC Endorsement pays for undamaged siding or vinyl when unable to match up to $15,000. We could find no exclusion for cabinets.

Adjuster continues to avoid request for coverage definition of undamaged cabinets- 50 yrs old built in place wood/custom grade plywood. Mitigation Company left wet moldy cabinets in carport per Liberty instructions. Not until six weeks later did Liberty tell us they expect us to have contractor build boxes and use old doors and drawers which are now covered in mold. Contractor says new doors and drawers and stain makes replacement of only damaged cabinets cost prohibitive. Loss has been documented with photos and timeline. Philip ** and Tim ** are the SC Liberty adjusters stating we should use the moldy doors and drawers as their promise to restore us to pre-loss condition.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have been with Liberty Mutual For Years. First I had my car insured with them. I have had some type of insurance with them since 1997. In 2012 I went with another insurance company but kept My homeowners insurance with them. Last September a Large tree fell on my house. To this day my floor still need repairing. Every adjuster that I talk to with this company is rude and nasty. I know if they are treating me this way they treat everyone this way. I don't think they know who pay their salary. Without the customer they would get paid. They talk nice when they are trying to get you to sign up. But after you take the policy they treat you like crap. But what they don't know what goes around comes around, I am thinking about call the media.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Liberty Mutual are crooks. Sold my house a week prior to when my policy would have been due. Unbeknownst to me, my mortgage company paid and renewed my policy. When I found out, I called to get a refund, but they will only give 25% of the full premium back. Kris ** was unapologetic. When ask to talk to her supervisor or manager, she would not, or give me their names. True insurance company, deny and hope we give up. So I guess it is ok to insure a house you don't own, but I bet they would never pay out. I guess legal action is my only recourse.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have spoke with a lady customer representative this morning, 8/16/2018, because Liberty Mutual has added coverage to my Home Insurance Premium. I asked this lady that I don't want these additional coverage. What I want is for her to find a way to lower my original premium. I am a loyal customer, I hate to leave, but if there is a company that will give a lower premium, then we go to the lower premium. She said, she can't lower it anymore. My original premium was $1660.00 and the new premium will be $1874.00. I told her to remove this $1874.00 and move it back to $1660.00. She said, she cannot change it and I could go ahead and shop with other companies, "just call back if I find one." So I went ahead and shopped and found one, a little bit difference. I could have stayed at Liberty Mutual. But the agent in this new company, she was patient and treated me nicely.

Original review: July 19, 2018

After reading some of the reviews it's madding to see just how unlawful, unprofessional, and just plain inhuman behavior that thrives in their claims dept. My home was vandalized with chemicals, paint, household cleaners, eggs, feces and urine by one of the three felons convicted of my daughter's murder. The claim occurred in Feb of 2016. To date I've just been assigned the fifth adjustor. Hopefully this one will not accuse me of damaging my daughter's urn and ashes. I was steered and mandated to use a restoration company that was not qualified. When I requested another company I was told it's either them or no one. Liberty Mutual has paid them for services not rendered without my name on the draft. Something that the policy states would not occur.

My home was left in shambles. Anything of value taken. This I know have found out was not acceptable practice in CA. I should have been given 3 companies and then the choice should have been mine. But then the claims adjustor is located out of state, also a no no in CA, so how would she be a subject matter expert on CA laws. My home is over 2000 sq feet on over 3 acres. Liberty Mutual stated I must reside in a 300 sq ft motel with no handicap bathrooms (my father is 100% disabled). My animals would then be required to be placed on a leash and be taken out next to the freeway. I was told that place or no place. Again this is a CA State Ins Commissioner No No. Since I was abandoned by the restoration company and Liberty Mutual after I refused to allow a nonlicensed "general contractor" to restore my home.

The company environment promotes perhaps mandates that claims are intentionally made difficult to lowball or even deny the insured any assistance. My Father has pulmonary issues due to Agent Orange exposure, yet Liberty Mutual continues to withhold the last 2 mold reports from his physicians. The first one was bad. The second report worse, the third and fourth must be horrific since they won't release it. I have filed a complaint with the CA Ins Commissioner and am awaiting them to investigate Liberty Mutual's actions or lack of. Looks like perhaps the Federal Government should investigate these practices as it appears this problem extends to all states and all product lines. I just wish that they would stop accusing me of destroying my deceased child's belongings. DO NOT PURCHASE COVERAGE FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Liberty Mutual was my homeowner's insurance since early 2009. First thing they increased my coverage without me having any idea that this increase coverage had even been fraudulently been placed. October 21st 2017 I was on my roof starting a home improvement project, "building awning over back deck and stairs" when I slipped on algae, and fell 21 feet. During my month long stay in hospital I reached out to L. M. for some assistance and was told that they were so terribly sorry to hear about accident, but there was nothing they could do to help me, medical, mortgage, nothing. So May 15th, 2018 disabled from fall off roof now, I returned home to find my house had been burglarized. Just to emphasize they even stole my flower beds, WOW.

Sheriff's dept. was dispatched and report filed that day. I reported it to my very apologetic L. M. claims dept. that sent an adjuster out. Soon after I was contacted by a lady from special claims investigator dept., whom proceeded to ask a series of questions that I now am feeling as a villian not victim. I now had to move in with my parents because I haven't been able to make my mortgage payments since my fall. So now my home I built is gone, most of anything that wasn't bolted down has been stolen, a private investigator shows at my parents home unannounced to interrogate my fiance for 2 hours and father for 1 hour then to ask me to open my storage shed to make sure the items that were stolen were not in there. So a month later still no sign of reimbursement funds. Hey! "What's a man to do?"

Original review: July 12, 2018

I recently had a burst pipe in my condo, which caused my kitchen to be get flooded and ruined my cabinets, counter-tops etc. An initial estimate that was given to me by their inspector was just over a thousand dollars, which would not be enough to even do a quarter of the repairs required. The real kick was when two days post-inspection, a Liberty Mutual agent reached out to me to inform me that 3 of their experts have reviewed my case and agreed that none of the damage will be covered at all due to them deeming it a seepage and not a burst pipe (it was a hot water pipe, which is pressurized and experts should know that pressurized pipes don't seep, they can only burst). That's when I started feeling shaky about dealing with this insurance company.

I pushed back and got a quote from a licensed professional to get an idea of what a true estimate for repairs would be. It was $10.5K, which I sent in for review. Then the whole process went dark for two weeks, meanwhile I was trying to get in touch with my case handler calling in and sending emails on daily basis. It took me reaching out to a senior level executive from corporate to finally get the ball rolling. My case handler immediately got in touch with me and advised me that they are accepting the fact that they will pay for the repairs, but sent a counter offer, which my contractor agreed on ($9.8K). So, we went ahead with the repairs having received 2 initial payments and an assurance from the estimator that the only way I will receive "recoverable depreciation" is by getting reimbursement post repairs.

It has now been over a month and repairs have been completed, however, today I received a phone call from Liberty Mutual agent and was informed that only $6K will be covered under the policy, although my contractor and I agreed and signed off on the original quote of $9.8K from Liberty Mutual. Now I'm facing a shortage of over $4K that they wrote in for "recoverable depreciation" that they are refusing to pay.

I have followed Liberty Mutual's guidelines to the dot - "Before repairs begin, please show our estimate to your contractor. If your contractor's estimate exceeds the amounts in our estimate, please contact us prior to beginning the work." I have reviewed and negotiated with my contractor to bring his price down to match Liberty Mutual's quote line item for line item before doing any repairs and now I'm facing over $4K of expenses that I have to pay out of pocket. I then sent in my contractor's quote to Liberty Mutual and was cleared to begin work and was advised that the final payment (including recoverable depreciation) will be issued upon completion. Nowhere in the quote did it mention that only $6K will be covered. I would not have gone ahead with the repairs if I knew that that was going to be the case.

It's also suspiciously odd that on their quote they wrote $5.6K (just under $6k policy limit) in "actual cash value" that they already paid out to me and $4.2K in "recoverable depreciation" that they are now not willing to pay due to my policy's $6K "dwelling" limit. Again, none of the above was stated on the agreed quote/contract. Very shady business practices on their end. The whole customer service experience has been a misery and I regret how much of my personal time I have wasted on resolving this issue. I would definitely recommend to look elsewhere if you are shopping for home insurance. I will certainly be switching in the very near future. More to follow...

Original review: July 10, 2018

We switched to Liberty Mutual 2 years ago for both homeowners and cars. After virtually no claims on insurance for 40 years, a county wide storm felled a huge tree, ripped shingles off the roof of the house and barn and pulled the heavy barn door off track. They had an out of state appraiser come in, we had an estimate and he agreed. Then the company said they would only pay half. The local office assisted and, after another estimate they paid about $1500. This year got a letter from our bank that escrow would be going up as our house insurance increased 25%. No word of this from our agent. I called and he said, of course, you used the insurance, we have to penalize you.

So in a couple years they will recoup the paid amount and continue to charge us at a higher level. How good for them! (They also increased our auto insurance without notification.) So while our level of insurance was good, apparently using it was not. Went to other agents, Liberty put in the system that the claim was over $2000 (I guess including the deductible we paid). That is not fair, not fair at all. So we found another company and recommend you do the same.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We asked for an extension of the work that needed to be completed on our house because of our need to caretake a family member who lives out of state. We have almost finished the siding on the house but we just had our insurance canceled. The letter from Liberty Mutual says that the insurance was canceled because we did not finish the siding by the original contract time period. Liberty Mutual appears not to be a company that is willing to meet the needs of homeowners today.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have had a horrible experience with Liberty Mutual. I had roof damage from hail. They sent someone out who estimated roof size at 44 squares. The actual roof size was 61 squares. The independent service Eagle View showed it at 61 squares. The roofing company said it was not 44 squares, that it was closer to 61 squares. We agreed they would only bring 44 squares. They had to go back & get more cause Liberty was wrong. It took me 7 calls to get someone address this issue and it's still not resolved. They aged the home wrong & when I showed proof they said they were going to rate it monthly rather than annual, because they have that option. This is a very bad company - I would not recommend them at all!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Liberty Mutual is the best insurance I have ever had. I have heard horror stories from other people who have had to submit claims with other insurance companies. I had to have them cover storm damage to our house and they made the process easy. Also have them for car insurance. Someone ran a red light and totaled our truck. Again, absolutely no problems! Will not go anywhere else for our insurance needs! Awesome job!

Original review: June 15, 2018

My 92 year old parents have had Liberty Mutual auto and life insurance policies since the 1950s. A homeowners policy was added after 2000. Over all those years a few claims have been made on their auto insurance. On April 2018, a water leak was first observed in their basement and reported to Liberty Mutual on that same day. The claims agent refused any reimbursement for my parents because the leak had occurred for over two weeks. Allegedly, that information was received from a Ben Franklin plumber who did the work however, the individual who spoke with the Liberty Mutual agent was never identified when we spoke with Ben Franklin.

To date, my fixed income parents have paid out over $8,000 for plumbing repairs and mold abatement procedures. In addition, the emotional stress they have suffered due to this incident has been extreme. Because of our extraordinary dissatisfaction with Liberty Mutual's response to my parents' claim, both the auto insurance policies and the homeowners policy will be canceled. We comparison shopped and found that State Farm would provide car insurance and homeowners for $220 a month less than Liberty Mutual. We will be sure to share this story on social media.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought my home in 2010. I have never had to make a claim so I am pleased with my service. I often wonder about the price but have been too busy to take the time to compare.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I have been with how our Home Insurance Claim has been handled by Liberty Mutual. We had a sudden water damage claim where much of our upstairs flooring was effected as well as our downstairs ceiling and flooring. All of our hardwood matched and was either contiguous, adjoined or connected by direct line of sight. Liberty Mutual is only willing to cover the floor that was directly touched by the water, which in most cases would be fine, except for the fact that they can't match our current hardwood floors. They want to put down transitions where transitions didn't exist before and leave our home with mismatched flooring that is "close enough".

Many of our phone calls have taken weeks to be returned, our contractors have received intimidating and coercing phone calls from our claims adjuster attempting to get them to side with Liberty Mutual on the scope of the repair and to top it off, Liberty Mutual has not only told us that they won't budge on their stance but has told us that if we want any further action we would have to sue them. Absolutely unreal. My family has already pulled their business out of Liberty Mutual and I plan on making sure everyone else in my life stays away from this crooked organization.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Any insurance is great if you are lucky enough not to have any claims. In the 30+ years I have had Liberty Mutual I have only had a couple of claims that were adjudicated quickly. Service is outstanding and knowledgeable customer service reps.

Original review: June 4, 2018

What good is insurance if they don’t pay for damage to the house. The insurance rates have more than doubled, while the value of the house has dropped by half. Insurance is a scam.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is available through my work via payroll deduction so get additional 10% discount. Never had major claim but small ones came out well. Only downside is no coverage for vacant rental properties, but not a common situation.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Initial coverage great, following year increase rates above other companies. They rated the roof for aging and after replacing metal roof rates didn't go down.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We have had Liberty Mutual Insurance for 10 years, both homeowner and car, for a while we had renters - renter and owners. We have had several claims. Claim #1 found out the upstairs bathtub drain was not connected to the drain pipe, flooded the ceiling and part fell down - with renters in the house. We were out of state, and had a $1,000 deductible. Called Liberty Mutual to report the claim, they had the mitigation company out the next day. They orchestrated the plumber for the plumbing repairs and all of the ceiling/ wall repairs and paint. The total came to $1017 so we decided to just cover out of pocket - but they got everything done for us in less than 2 weeks the house was completely put back together.

Claim # 2 My husband was T boned driving down the road, he was not at fault but they had an appointment to have the vehicle assessed by the next day, it ended up being totaled out and we received the check within the week, with the reimbursement for our deductible from the at fault's insurance arriving within 2 weeks.

Claim # 3 Freak hail storm damaged several neighborhoods in our city. It was declared a natural disaster as so much damage was incurred. the adjuster took a week to come out and tried to pull "these shingles were recalled so you need to contact the builder." Contacted the company with proof that the entire neighborhood had roof claims and proof of the hail damage. In response a new adjuster was sent out and she reviewed all information and granted our claim, we had a $500 deductible which the roofing company agreed to waive for a yard sign. This repair took 4 months due to weather as it was mid fall when the damage occurred, a patch was done and when the ice was gone a new roof was installed.

Claim # 4 My suburban was T boned driving down the road, the adjuster had the car in for inspection the next day. Overnighted us a check for the car seats so we could buy new ones. The Suburban was totaled out and we were given the option of a check from Liberty Mutual less our $500 deductible or for them to orchestrate payment from the at fault driver's insurance, we decided to wait and the check came within 2 weeks.

Claim #5 The drain pipe from the upstairs bathtub came loose and there was a slow drip. I have no idea how long it lasted, but I noticed a mushroom in the corner of the ceiling. So I put in a claim. The next day the pipe fully broke loose and flooded upstairs and downstairs (impacted 8 rooms). The pressure was raised that week by the water company and it blew our water heater and all valves (toilet, shower, bathtubs, and sinks). They just adjusted the claim to cover all affected rooms. The entire house ended up needing new floors, we needed 3 new bathroom vanities, several walls and the master shower to be ripped out to repair the damage. It was over a $20,000 claim. We were given checks as the work progressed to pay the variety of contractors.

We did elect to do some upgrades, and those were at our personal expense (less the amount the insurance would cover for the original quality/ materials). We were told when all the work had been completed and the paperwork filed we would receive the depreciation check - for several thousand dollars. It never came, I tried for months before I gave up as I did not have the time to put into all of the follow up.

Claim # 6 Husband was rear ended by a semi truck. We filed the claim the same day, we tried reaching out to the adjuster several times and never received a response back. She closed the case and now we are working to reopen it, with a new adjuster to get his repairs done (likely the car will be totaled). It has been 3 months since the accident.

Claim # 7 - This week the upstairs toilet (new house) clogged and flooded the bathroom, a bedroom, hallway, staircase and the garage ceiling started falling down. I filed the claim on Tuesday night, mitigation was here Wednesday morning. Adjuster arrived Thursday morning, I was handed a check right then for the repairs. Because it was fecal water that flooded the house, Liberty Mutual is covering in full the mitigation/ clean up - it induced mold in 2 days in the garage due to the hot humid conditions. We have a $1,000 deductible and a check to cover the rest of the repairs already in hand. Overall, we have had pretty good fast resolutions. It seems to depend on the adjuster what happens and how fast. What I have found is if you have an adjuster that is not cooperating speak up, or try to get a new one assigned.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Adjuster left us with estimates he calculated and evidently only of what they wanted to pay for damages, not actual costs of repair. Then wouldn't release final payment of balance, cheap way of screwing people out of about 30% of claim. Have complained to my state Rep. Have meeting with Iowa Insurance division, oversight agency chairman, Doug ** first week in June. As I understand it, this practice could be defrauding Ioans out of funds due and payable under Fair Compensation Act compliance under their state license/permit. And to think all we wanted was the balance owed to us via claim. Not to mention the company has raised our rates three times to almost five times what the original policy cost was!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

They canceled my homeowner's insurance after being with them since 2006. They claim I don't stay in the home which I do. I still have a mortgage on the home. The people in customer service were unhelpful. They also canceled my auto insurance two years ago for no reason. Never do business with them!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Without any warning, I noticed a pool of water collecting on my beautiful hardwood floors, beneath my kitchen sink. Long story short, water had been collecting under my sink overnight due to some malfunction with the piping. I contacted Liberty Mutual, and the customer service rep was so kind and accommodating. Her first words were, "I am so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this sort of situation." As a skeptic, (I've had many negative insurance encounters), I assumed this was some sort of company jargon, and of course she could care less! Boy, was I wrong. Each and every person I encountered--from the call center, to my estimator, to my claims adjuster was kind, upbeat, accommodating, and resourceful!

I can be a bit demanding, and on occasion a "tough-cookie" to deal with, especially when I am undergoing the stresses of an uncomfortable living environment. Yet, throughout my entire dealings with Liberty Mutual, the angry disgruntled consumer never had to emerge. Immediately, my family was offered hotel accommodations (virtually of my choice) due to my circumstances. I was again offered a hotel for my family while my contractor worked in my home. I am always wary of hotel arrangements that aren't made by me, because I am extremely picky, and require a great deal of space (I have 5 children). With that, Liberty Mutual allowed me to choose my own accommodations, provided they were within a particular (high-quality) chain.

I was able to find, new, clean, spacious rooms, that comfortably fit my large family. The rooms were close to home, close to my husband's job, and met my embarrassingly high standards. I even required a one-day extension on my stay (my contractors, didn't finish the job within their original timeline), and Liberty Mutual's placement company worked hard to find available lodging to suited me (a large local conference left many hotels fully booked). Most importantly, Liberty Mutual did not resolve my issues by compensating me for a patch-up job. They literally too.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have owned 4 homes in my lifetime, I am 64 and we had a over flow of sewage in the downstairs of the home we just got in 2016 October. They WOW you into them being the best and the most competent company for insurance, Home & Car. This happened on Christmas Eve 2017 and still waiting for someone to call us back from the incident of the sewage backup, grossest thing I have ever seen. I have called the guy that said he was very dedicated to his job, and how we are

really going to have no problems if anything should happen. WRONG, it took the adjuster 5 weeks just to get to our home. Never said anything, except for him tearing a huge piece of brand new carpeting out in the open for someone to trip over if not watching where they are going, I mean looking down, Brand new carpeting and the so called adjuster has not been heard of since.

I called way too many people to get help to fix the mess and fearing black mold will be growing at some point if it's not fixed. The guy that I am dealing with Mr ** told us to get some bids to get all the photos of all the damage. Did what he told us to do, I sent it from Office Depot to make sure he gets everything he wanted. The best bid we could get was $4600 to do the job and put flooring in, and we thought we were not going to gouge the price to have everything repaired plus all the comforters and pillows blankets and luggage was covered with sewage, so in the trash that went, and told them everything we lost. Getting to the point here, tomorrow will be MAY 1 2018 and we have nothing fixed and NO money to fix, rebuild flooring and loss of items and the 36 white towels (BATH SIZE) we had to pitch as we used them to get the water up and try to get some kind of cleanup.

As I said, being May 1 and still have not heard from anyone from Liberty Mutual & Safeco. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS. We had better insurance in San Diego 40 yrs, come to Missouri and the home and car insurance is higher than Cali, Interesting. I come to finally make a complaint and that is all you see on here are unhappy customers. ONE star should tell you something, We have retained an attorney and hope that others will make it a class action lawsuit. This is plain money robbery, so called insurance company. I can't believe this company hasn't been sued yet. I think I will be calling the health dept and asking them if we can get some help. As I said many times, go anywhere but this lame, lying, deceitful, so called home insurance company. I believe in KARMA, Liberty Mutual, Safeco.

Original review: April 20, 2018

What a joke of a company. With them for 10 years, no claims ever. They snuck inflation protection on my policy and it goes up every single year. I am now insured for 3 times what I paid for the house. Wind damaged the roof of my house. Shingles were ripped off and water was getting in. After 1 week they finally sent someone out. Another week goes by and yet no contact or reply. I had to have a roofing company come out to do repairs. Total was $7900. I knew it was gonna be between $5000-$10,000 for repair. Then of course after I paid out of pocket I finally got their paperwork and was told a total of $116 payment was paid to my claim. Guess what Liberty Mutual? I work with 3000 people and each and every one will be told to not to do business with you, thanks very much.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had my home insurance with Liberty Mutual since 2007. In 2017 I discovered that the floor of my house is sagging. After calling them to see it, the adjuster they sent didn’t even bother to look in the crawl space, and said that it is sand shifting which is not covered by us. Later I called some foundation contractors, they peeked in the crawlspace and found a water leak that has been there for the past 10 years due to faulty plumbing work who didn’t even connect the drainpipe of the kitchen, so all the dirty water was dumped in the crawlspace. After notifying Liberty Mutual about the findings, they said that we don’t cover long term damage, they only cover sudden damage. They didn’t even pursue the case to make the plumbing company insurance pay for the damage, they left me alone having to deal with them. So, if you are counting on them to fix your damages for other than the sudden ones then just think again.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My credit union had been trying to warn me that I was paying too much for insurance. They went to raise my homeowners insurance again for more than $1,000 a year, and I decided to shop around. I found a much better deal with a great company, and I could take a vacation on the money I was paying over and above for less insurance with Liberty Mutual. I'm also saving $100 a month on my car insurance now. Their customer service even sucks because canceling my policy that I had had with him for 24 years I didn't even get asked why I was leaving, because they must know. They then had the audacity to send me a check saying that you pay your insurance in arrears which is the stupidest thing I ever heard. I would never waste your money with this company! It's like throwing money into a fire.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Have been a customer with Liberty Mutual for ten years...two houses and two cars insured. Last spring after 4 hail storms I submitted a claim for the roof on one of the houses...first claim on that property in the ten years I had this insurance, never a claim on the vehicles or the other house. Without sufficient notice, they hiked my homeowners premium over 300% to just under $7000 annually for a home insured at $120,000...took a $581 payment from my account for that property. When I called to find out why the astronomical price increase I was told it was statewide increase, which I find impossible to believe. Refused to refund the payment even though I cancelled the policy. Horrible, horrible way to treat a long-term customer. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS INSURANCE COMPANY.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.

• Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.

• Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.

• Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.

• Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky