Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Liberty Mutual - Homeowners
3.64/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This policy was the best rated in my state and offered a family discount as I got other members of my family to sign up. This policy also had the lowest deductible and built in incentives to pay ahead to get a lower overall rate. The application was at first dull and froze and was not ideal for me to use. I like to pay online, and paying through the application would be easiest. They finally got it worked out, the bugs and works well now. I like the quote I received as well as the customer service. I like the ability to create a customized plan that fits my needs. I had to file a claim in regards to my roof and I was able to get everything covered. I believe in my company and they stand with me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Liberty Mutual came recommended by a person I trust that has done business with the local office for over 25 years. The receptionist was very nice and knowledgeable. She understood my needs and was able to easily explain their services and products and how they were in actually much more advantageous than the original policy. It took the local office a couple of tries while working with the regional office to get the policy correct though. Also they needed to coordinate better between the offices because in the beginning when we first engaged the insurance company we had 2 offices attempting to take care of our new policy. Now while that is considerate it semi confused the situation because we started to get multiple mailings regarding our homeowners policy with either incorrect or diverse items on the separate policies.

Other than that, I like their price, ease of acquisition covers more for less than the previous insurance, was able to change in one days notice of requesting insurance and was covered that same day. Deductible was less as well as they reviewed the old policy and recommended a decrease in coverage that saved money. All in all the experience was very nice and did not take up considerable time.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have remained insured with Liberty for the last 25 years. I refuse to purchase insurance from an online carrier where you just "click". I have dealt with online insurers for my clients and they are not as credible as they say. Liberty handles everything in a very predictable manner. Their billing is accurate, they respond quickly. When they say they will call back they do. The rates I pay are comparable to the other companies in the marketplace and the coverage is very broad. They are constantly adding features to broaden their coverage too. They have paid a few claims over the years and have not raised my rates. The only complaint I have is they bought the insurance company that I was insured with called Safeco, which was a great local insurance company. Now they are part of Liberty Mutual, a much bigger insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Liberty Mutual has excellent customer service from calling in to the main 800 number to communication with our agent and his office. He has been great. As first time homeowners we did not understand a lot of the technical terms on the policies - he took time to explain each term and section and how it would pertain to us as well as how it could impact price. Overall he helped us narrow down our policy to the best option for our needs and he never pushed us towards the more expensive option. It was a very honest and trustworthy process. In the end we also moved our auto and purchased life insurance from them as well.

If our Agent wasn't as amazing as he was we would have had trouble understanding sections of the policy as we never owned a home before. Liberty could perhaps have a section online or a pamphlet for first time buyer or general customers that explains some terminology. It is intimidating at first when you begin to look for policies. Other than that, our policy gave us the right amount of coverage we needed at an affordable price. We got to chose coverage to fit our climate. We reside in and we were able to bundle other insurances to lower the price. Even moving auto and life over were more affordable on their own. I was also able to get a discount as well for where I graduated college from and because of the type of degree I received. They have other perks the agent can assist you with.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My sister had such high regards for Liberty Mutual that I switched from GEICO and never looked back. And I saved money when I switched and they were so nice. I just wished I should have done it sooner than I did. Although I thought they would have a better bundling plan after I brought my cars over. And they don't have to remind me that my statement is ready since I have them on auto pay. But other than that, I like that they didn't raise the rate of my premium after one claim and how they were so quick and courteous settling my claim. And I like the way they send me a birthday card every year just little things like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Terrible company - does not care about the consumer. This company will do anything to avoid having to pay out a claim. You pay for insurance and you get a scam policy that has all kinds of verbiage and clauses to not pay out what the average person would think they are insured for. Good luck but even if they are priced lower than their competition - price is what you pay and value is what you get. Stay away!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Months after I received a reasonable quote my policy, out of the clear blue sky one day they sent me a subtle notice and bill stating that your automobile and homeowners insurance has nearly tripled, keep in mind, I did not have any accidents tickets or filed a claim, I truly believe it's because I live in Georgia, when I contacted them I got a lot of mumbo jumbo. I called and asked them again as to why my rates increased so dramatically before my policy was even up for renewal.

The only reply was, rates has went up in Georgia and the most horrible thing about them is they send you a very subtle notice. Unless you pay very close attention you won't realize what is about to happen to you, they will simply change the amount owed go into bank account before renewal comes around as though nothing has happened. And they have the audacity to solicit me for their new rates. I have told nearly all of my friends and family about how I was treated and all of them passed Liberty Mutual insurance right on by. I am glad I was able to save them the hassle of looking for another insurance carrier. I am on a fixed income and surprises like that could trigger a heart attack.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have been scammed into paying premiums for a year. When my pool liner collapsed mu husband and I decided to take down the pool. The insurance company sent over a review firm and decided "we are under construction" and were not eligible for policy renewal. Why did't you advice me of that before I dropped my last insurance carrier. You were eager to take my money. I did not put in a claim to fix the insured pool. I took it down myself and I am under construction and not legible for renewal.... Stay away from this company.. Clueless morons running it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

In April of this year I cancelled my homeowner’s policy due to continued premium increases and a better quote from one of their competitors. A refund check was supposedly issued to me in April within a day or two of cancellation, according to e-mail records. After two months of not receiving any refund, I called their toll-free number to inquire about the check. I was informed it had been mailed to my previous residence address in another state and that a “stop payment” needed to be placed on it and another issued to me here at the address of the insured property early July. A call of inquiry on July 18th resulted in being informed a new check would be issued the next day.

When I called for a follow-up on July 25th, I was informed they needed to check with billing and would call me back. I did receive a callback and was told it was issued to me and my mortgage originator. The lady informed me she would have the Payee changed to just me and another new check would be issued. On August 10th I received another e-mail stating a check has been mailed to me on August 2nd and should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

Called again today, since it has been 16 business days and still no check. The Customer Service representative informed the check had been mailed to an address 4 houses North of me, where we originally obtained a homeowner’s policy quote before buying our current residence. Today he had to reinstate the policy and then tomorrow he will go in and cancel again and another refund should be generated and sent to the correct address once it is cancelled again. I informed the representative I would be providing a review of their support in various social media.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

33 years with LM, no claims, $2500 deductible. I receive my renewal along with a note, NC rates for my policy is $1365.00, LM sent me a bill for $2879. Thought it was a mistake, nope. 33 years with Home, Auto, RV, and Liability...and they didn’t care. Went with Farm Bureau for all policies...over $2000 in savings.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual was founded in Massachusetts in 1912. The company, now headquartered in Boston, offers many types of insurance, including auto, life and homeowners.

• Range of options: Liberty Mutual offers a good range of options for homeowners insurance policies, including umbrella policies, condo policies, mobile home policies and even policies specifically geared towards landlords.

• Good web presence: Liberty Mutual has a well-developed online presence, and they offer many convenient services on their website, including bill pay and policy management.

• Strong legacy: The company is one of the country’s oldest and most trusted major insurance companies.

• Customer service: A large company means the staff is not always consistent from person to person.

• Quotes: Customers have reported that the company’s online quote system often generates quotes that the company is not able to offer in reality.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky