Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.86/5

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2020

I changed to Liberty Mutual when we refinanced my home 8 years ago. Was told I had a $500 property damage deductible. We have had several wind and hail storms over the last 7 years but this last one caused a leak so decided to have it checked. It was leaking so called and was told that no longer was the $500 deductible valid but now it was 1% of the value of the home. Over $1700 which was totally ignorant of me to continue to do business with a sub par company. All my neighbors had $500 deductibles with their insurance and that is what they had to pay. It is a shame that the rates are 45% higher than most others and their coverage is that pathetic. Time to look for a quality company for $800-900 a year less with quality coverage. It is a shame you are required to give them at least one star when they deserve much less.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have been with Liberty Mutual since 2015 or 2014. I compared their rates in the beginning but not in the 5 years following as I trusted them to be fair with their rates. While getting a lower interest rate, I was told your home owner’s insurance costs was pretty high. So I checked around and found out that they were TWICE as high as a quote I received. Shame on me for not checking. We have never had a home claim with them ever. One minor car accident almost 3 years ago..

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I've had homeowners and auto insurance for my present home for several years now. My mother passed away and her home became mine. I purchase a homeowners policy from Liberty Mutual for her house. A couple months later some underwriter working for Liberty Mutual stopped by her house and decided the property was in too bad of shape for them to be willing to cover. Reasons stated were: Gutters needed cleaning out, and tree limbs were hanging over the roof. There was only one place where any tree limbs were hanging over the roof and ii's way up high where an old tree has long reaching limbs. REALLY? Whose house does not need a gutter cleaned out periodically? This is completely ludicrous. They will lose all of my business ASAP.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

We purchased this insurance as we were buying a house. Next thing I knew a man was calling to schedule a home inspection. Liberty Mutual never even informed us this would be happening. The inspector came and left. Three weeks later we received a letter (with three days notice) that our insurance policy was being cancelled. They claimed the reason was that there were major renovations going on without their prior knowledge. First of all, we closed on a new home. The only "renovation" occurring during the inspection was a paint job around the house. We were never asked nor informed we needed to tell anyone we were painting the house upon purchase. They only gave us three days notice to find new insurance. On the other hand, we got a MUCH better deal with another company. I would strongly advise not to go with this company if you expect any customer experience at all.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have a replacement cost homeowner policy which means that the company was to me the actual cost value first, and then pay me the recoverable depreciation after works are completed. The crooked contractor recommended by adjuster intentionally failed to do certain work but completed most of the other repairs. The contractor then attempted to charge me for the work intentionally not done. The final charge was later reduced by about $3000 for the omitted work.

Now adjuster has refused to pay the recoverable depreciation for the part of the repairs that had already been completed claiming that I spent less on the omitted works (this downgrade was not my choice). The effect of their calculation of the final claim payout is such that they are not even paying for the ACV on the work intentionally left out by the contractor. I believe that the adjuster and contractor are colluded and are trying to get back at me. I now have to file a legal suit against them to get back the recoverable depreciation for works done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Started using Liberty Mutual home owners insurance for new home purchase. Used the high deductible (5K) plan to reduce annual cost bringing the premium to 783$. In one year they increased the annual premium to 954$, a 22% increase. There were no claims or any issues with the account to cause the increase. Should have known, had auto insurance through them years ago and did the same scam.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Terrible company - does not care about the consumer. This company will do anything to avoid having to pay out a claim. You pay for insurance and you get a scam policy that has all kinds of verbiage and clauses to not pay out what the average person would think they are insured for. Good luck but even if they are priced lower than their competition - price is what you pay and value is what you get. Stay away!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Months after I received a reasonable quote my policy, out of the clear blue sky one day they sent me a subtle notice and bill stating that your automobile and homeowners insurance has nearly tripled, keep in mind, I did not have any accidents tickets or filed a claim, I truly believe it's because I live in Georgia, when I contacted them I got a lot of mumbo jumbo. I called and asked them again as to why my rates increased so dramatically before my policy was even up for renewal.

The only reply was, rates has went up in Georgia and the most horrible thing about them is they send you a very subtle notice. Unless you pay very close attention you won't realize what is about to happen to you, they will simply change the amount owed go into bank account before renewal comes around as though nothing has happened. And they have the audacity to solicit me for their new rates. I have told nearly all of my friends and family about how I was treated and all of them passed Liberty Mutual insurance right on by. I am glad I was able to save them the hassle of looking for another insurance carrier. I am on a fixed income and surprises like that could trigger a heart attack.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have been scammed into paying premiums for a year. When my pool liner collapsed mu husband and I decided to take down the pool. The insurance company sent over a review firm and decided "we are under construction" and were not eligible for policy renewal. Why did't you advice me of that before I dropped my last insurance carrier. You were eager to take my money. I did not put in a claim to fix the insured pool. I took it down myself and I am under construction and not legible for renewal.... Stay away from this company.. Clueless morons running it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

In April of this year I cancelled my homeowner’s policy due to continued premium increases and a better quote from one of their competitors. A refund check was supposedly issued to me in April within a day or two of cancellation, according to e-mail records. After two months of not receiving any refund, I called their toll-free number to inquire about the check. I was informed it had been mailed to my previous residence address in another state and that a “stop payment” needed to be placed on it and another issued to me here at the address of the insured property early July. A call of inquiry on July 18th resulted in being informed a new check would be issued the next day.

When I called for a follow-up on July 25th, I was informed they needed to check with billing and would call me back. I did receive a callback and was told it was issued to me and my mortgage originator. The lady informed me she would have the Payee changed to just me and another new check would be issued. On August 10th I received another e-mail stating a check has been mailed to me on August 2nd and should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

Called again today, since it has been 16 business days and still no check. The Customer Service representative informed the check had been mailed to an address 4 houses North of me, where we originally obtained a homeowner’s policy quote before buying our current residence. Today he had to reinstate the policy and then tomorrow he will go in and cancel again and another refund should be generated and sent to the correct address once it is cancelled again. I informed the representative I would be providing a review of their support in various social media.

Liberty Mutual author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company sells auto and rental insurance in addition to homeowners insurance. Earthquake coverage and flood coverage are available as separate endorsements. The company offers 24/7 claims assistance and has an A rating from AM Best for financial strength.

• Cost: An average annual premium with Liberty Mutual is $1,200. Get a quote for exact pricing.

• Plans and coverage: Liberty’s basic plan has standard coverage, including coverage for dwellings, personal possessions and liability. Common endorsements include coverage for identity fraud expenses, valuables and inflation protection.

• Discounts: Liberty Mutual offers many discounts, including savings for bundling, new homes, new homeowners, home protection devices, new policies, new roofs and no claims.

• Availability: Liberty Mutual writes policies in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor