2. Homeowners
Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

4.0/5 (276 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Multiple policy options
  • Add-on natural disaster coverage
  • Policy bundle discounts

Cons

• Services dependent on technology
  • No mold-specific coverage

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual offers a wide variety of home insurance options, including add-ons like natural disaster protection. It also has discounts for policy bundles and new homes. The company has a reputation for quality customer service.

Top Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

I've had all good experiences so far. Everything about the company is positive. Their customer service is good. Easy to do business with, good rates, and good coverage too. They a...

Verified

My husband chose Liberty Mutual more than 12 years ago without discussing it with me and I have been satisfied with them as they always treat me right every time I file a claim wi...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Liberty Mutual home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that provides multiple home protection policies. It has a variety of standard insurance options for homeowners, including additional coverage for damages due to natural disasters, as well as personal property replacement.

Liberty Mutual writes home insurance policies in select states, and its optional coverage might be limited in some locations. Its coverage requires a home inspection; your policy could be adjusted depending on the assessment.

What does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual provides comprehensive home coverage, including:

• Personal property coverage
  • Wind and hail coverage
  • Hurricane coverage
  • Escape of water coverage
  • Loss of rent coverage

Liberty Mutual sets itself apart from other insurers by offering an optional coverage, Inflation Protection, which provides a discount on policy premiums during the renewal period.

Liberty Mutual home insurance quotes and costs

Due to the ever-changing nature of home insurance, Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its policy rates on the website; however, the company does provide home insurance quotes through its online quoting tool. As with most home insurance providers, Liberty Mutual’s rates are determined by home location and age, as well as surrounding weather conditions and overall wear and tear.

Liberty Mutual offers two-tiered home insurance packages, which combine a basic coverage plan with various add-on services like personal property replacement and water backup coverage. It also offers discounts for policy bundling and for new homes.

Liberty Mutual home insurance FAQ

Where is Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance available?
Liberty Mutual is available in more than 25 states.
How do I file a home insurance claim with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual has easy online claims filing. You can visit its website to fill out the claims form; the process takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Once you send your details, a representative will contact you for more information.
Does Liberty Mutual cover older homes?
The company doesn’t specify any home age limits, but its website has a tool to help you determine whether or not it will cover your home.

Is Liberty Mutual good home insurance?

Liberty Mutual is a well-known insurance provider, and its plans come with solid coverage options and additional coverage that’s ideal for homeowners in areas with frequent natural disasters. Though it has limited availability and doesn't offer all add-on coverages in all its locations, Liberty Mutual is worth considering if you’re in its service area and searching for a new insurance provider.

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have been with this company for over 30 years. I have a hard time getting another company insure our home as I am in Southern California and back-up to some wild grasslands. I have shopped for a better rate several times and could not find one.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Very easy to reach, always someone available to answer questions, more coverage for a lower price than my previous insurance. I switched because the old insurance kept raising prices by a lot. Liberty Mutual has so far not raised prices.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I have had Liberty Mutual for years & thankfully have not had to put in a claim, especially with the major winds & rainstorms that we have been getting here in NJ in the past few years, but I am very confident that in the event I would need to do so, I would have no issues.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Their customer service is the best; they really try to fit their customers with the right policy for their individual needs. If you have an issue or concern, they are always available to assist you and always try to help. They aren't too pushy or aggressive like other insurance companies that I have dealt with. Lastly, their premiums are affordable for whatever coverage you choose.

Original review: June 11, 2021

The process to make a claim is very streamlined. Claims can be started online and they also have representatives to assist as needed. My interactions have always been pleasant. Claims are addressed immediately and are assigned to a claim representative right away. I am always able to reach someone and talk to someone live. I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My roof was impacted by epic rainfall from multiple storm time there is rainfall. I followed Liberty Mutual procedures and filed a claim on the website. Uploaded pictures and a quote for repairs from a local roofer. I have waited for nearly 60 days and no inspector has been to my house. I continue to update the website with pictures and comments. The water continues to drip in my house.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Beware of Liberty Mutual homeowner insurance. They issue you ACV (Actual Cash value) option to your roof instead of RCV (replacement cost value). You won't know what this is about until you file your claim unless you have the knowledge of it. This means if you replace your roof, you won't be 100% covered by the cost. Your old roof will be depreciated and be subtracted from actual replacement cost. i.e. you pay extra out of your pocket. Liberty Mutual will only do this to Texas residents ONLY as per their claim! If you currently insured under Liberty Mutual, be prepared to talk to that Emu when you are having a claim!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Liberty Mutual has not paid for all the damages to my home. They paid a higher amount for siding and a patio door and revised the payments downward by thousands of dollars. They have failed to tell me why. A public adjustor states insurance is not allowed to do this and yet they have. They have failed to work with my contractor to pay for the damages to my home. They changed carpet pricing three times within a couple of months. They lowered the price to .79 cents a square foot and only raised to $6.13 once the carpet was sent to Itel. They allowed $33K+ for siding and then lowered this amount the following year when I submitted an estimate from a contractor for more.

They lowered to the low $20K. They removed line items they previously paid from future revisions. They keep reassign my claim to new people who know less about the claim. I asked them to explain how they arrived at the amounts on the claim detail and they will not explain the legal authority to me that allowed them to just go in and modify the claim.

They also split my claim and it took over 4 years for insurance to acknowledge I had a roof that needed replacing. My claim involves more than three trades and they have not added O & P to the second claim. For 4 years insurance denied there was interior damage to many areas of my home because of roof damage in a storm. Then when they acknowledged and decided to pay for the roof I was told that the interior damage to the living room ceiling was pre-existing until 2020 when a claims adjustor admitted it was reasonable to have water damage to the interior when the roof was damage.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Aggressive and brutal marketing department. Agents keep contacting you to buy more. Takes days to get off their do not call list. Customer service department is a joke. Average wait time for me was 15 minutes to get an agent. Information from agents vary greatly depending who you get. Keep calling back until you get one that shows they actually care.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Claims adjustment has been quick and professional. It all costs too much. At least they are there when you need them. My agents office is quick and efficient. I had State Farm for about 30 years and they slowly carved-out the policy down to no real coverage, it cost $1K more, and my agent's office treated me like a stranger not to be trusted.

Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance Company Information