3.32/5

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

300 Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

When I first signed up Liberty Mutual checked on rebuilding costs should be house be destroyed. At first it was very high and the rep agreed that the amount did not seem realistic. She checked again and came with a lower cost. They are very nice though. I think they should ask how often other people are here. I don't have a lot of guests so I'm less likely to be sued than someone who has people over all the time. I already had auto insurance with Liberty Mutual and I receive a discount through my employer. I have since changed my auto coverage to another company, but I was receiving a multiple policy discount. Overall, Liberty Mutual is expensive but good coverage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Liberty Mutual gave good flexibility with policies so we could bundle. Discount through work, easy to get a quote online and meet with someone in a day. Local office - we had a great representative. She was very nice and easy to work with. Friendly staff and convenient office. They should provide the ability to review the policy more for more discounts though and more discount options would be nice- seemed like it cost a lot for the size of the house but overall a good company. We also had car insurance so enjoyed both.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Liberty Mutual purchased the company I was with and everything was fine. They continued with a thorough policy. But from the 1st year they started dramatic increases and I had no idea at the time where it would lead. I soon found out. Since my insurance was escrowed every time they did that my monthly payment with my mortgage company went up. Can you say trapped? I was not aware how easy it would be for a professional insurance company to get me out of the trap. Or I would not have spent so many years literally suffering and going hungry because of them. It was horrible and they almost cost me my home.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I had Liberty Mutual for over 10 years. I liked paying the bill monthly versus every 6 months as well as the discount for young drivers with good grades. However, they were not easy to work with and my daughter had trouble getting them to pay for her bills after her accident. They need to stick to their original quote if it's within 30 days. I had to find new insurance on the fly as I'm not impressed with the way they handled it. They increased my rate $300 a year more from the original quote two weeks before.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Liberty Mutual has a good price for low deductible and great coverage. They also have good response time when needed for issues. I know people that have been with this company for years with no issues. Great company for a great value.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I chose Liberty Mutual because my homeowner's policy with another company increased each year for over 20 years with no claims. Liberty Mutual was recommended by a friend who saw a savings from her current homeowner’s policy. The coverage with Liberty Mutual was better than my previous coverage with the Philadelphia Contributionship and the cost for our homeowner’s insurance was much less.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Liberty Mutual was very convenient. I was able to do all my business over the internet. I did not have to call or talk to anyone or have anyone come out to my home and do not have to do inspections. However, sometimes or most of the time the price can be very expensive. Liberty should lower prices and will get more customer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Liberty insurance was the cheapest one and I have a thing about overpaying. Not that it makes a difference, either they have an unreal deductible or they make some excuse about not covering me. But that's okay. There's not much to like with them except the price. I have never used it though because I do all my home improvements myself. It's much less costly that way. I tried to use it once but they said they don't cover me for what I was asking so I never asked again. I don't call it insurance. I call it in case ** because you only need it in case ** happens. Now if ** don't happen should't I get my money back. But folk get funny when you ask questions like that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Liberty Mutual provides good choice of coverages that are needed by any homeowner for any and all possible exposures. I no longer use this company because the policy is too expensive - the policy doubled in price the year I stopped using this company - switched to a comparably rated company with much much better rates. Originally had coverage because I used to work at this company - when I worked there I even was given a discount.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I chose homeowners so that my personal property that I have in the house would also be covered rather than having to take out a separate insurance policy for it. I like that Liberty could bundle the homeowners with the auto policy and that the subsequent total was significantly less than I was paying with a different insurance company. But I would prefer that the homeowners was also payable twice each year rather than only on an annual basis. In addition, I would believe that the insurance rates for the homeowners insurance on its own would be less expensive and more competitive.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I did a lot of research online and did comparison shopping on everyone. I was able to do an umbrella policy with my auto policy. This saved me a lot of money. The person on the phone was very knowledgeable and guided me through the entire things to helping me choose. Their cost was very competitive and I liked that I could do my auto payment too. I have called for help and it was easy to contact a live person. I would recommend this company Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have been with Liberty Mutual since 1972 and have always been treated fairly and with knowledgeable representatives. I originally decided on them because my sister was an employee there and suggested that I go with them. Their home office is in Boston and I worked across the street at John Hancock at the time. I like the fact that I deal directly with the company and not through an insurance agency. I also like that I get a multi-policy discount because my car is insured with them, too.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Liberty Mutual was recommended when we got our home loan. The loan officer at the bank told us they did a lot of business with them so instead of getting quotes we went with them on our officer's recommendation. Liberty Mutual was very easy to deal with and make a claim through. They were very helpful with our choices and the process. They also have not raised our rates after making a claim. While they are easy to deal with, it takes a very long time to hear back from them regarding questions. It took days to hear from them with regard to certain things the workers needed to know so the workers had a lot of down time for this reason.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have have been with Liberty for about 15 years and they are comparable to other companies. Liberty has professional and courteous staff. When I have been in contact with them they have always been able to assist me with whatever I needed. I dislike the rate increases though. I feel that some extra courtesy should extend to those who have been with the company so faithfully for about 20 years and given some credit. I wish the rate hikes in premiums every year were not as steep for those that have been with them for so long.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My husband chose Liberty Mutual more than 12 years ago without discussing it with me and I have been satisfied with them as they always treat me right every time I file a claim with them. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company has processed both auto insurance and homeowner's insurance claims for me quickly and without any problems for more than 16+ years. They always provide excellent response no matter what my need is and they have always handled my claims in a professional way.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

When I got the insurance in 2008 it was reasonable to use. They could insure $200K house for $600 per year. But no longer that way, would be cheaper to rent than to buy if house was paid off would not have insurance. Insurance is way too expensive nowadays and owning your own house sucks. I don't make a lot of money and have to find affordable living areas, will be selling house to move into my mini van soon and headed South. Renting is still affordable.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I did research and looked over quite a few companies and Liberty Mutual was the best place for me. Liberty Mutual was a better choice for me my family and my home. The homeowners policy was better than any other policy that I found with any other company. I like how they take the time to get to know me and my policy. They have full coverage for anything and everything that I want and need for my home. I feel safe and secure with them. Always have and always will. Everything they've ever done and currently do for me and my homeowner's insurance policy is right on what I'm wanting for my policy. I couldn't ask for a better company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Liberty Mutual was recommended by the individual who sold me the house. Also, I would see a lot of advertisements around town about this particular insurance company and I like their logo. They are very attentive to my needs and they are very trustworthy. They are doing a great job insuring my home and they are reasonable when it comes to prices too.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Liberty Mutual had the best coverage for the home we live in and the state. Their rates are competitive. Overall policy is comprehensive and covers everything needed for our household. All the features included in the homeowner’s policy are clear and have no problems understanding what is included and not included in the policy. They have a very useful, helpful and easy website to use. The application process was simple and straightforward. The home inspection was arranged at a convenient time and the inspector was polite and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Liberty Mutual is fine. Insurance is insurance and this is priced right. Insurance is a necessary evil and I chose this policy because it was the best deal for the coverage I needed. But I want the insurance I have to have at the cheapest possible price. If I could find a company with the same coverage for a cheaper price I would change companies. I have no loyalty to any particular company.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have automobile policy and liability insurance with Liberty Mutual. They give discounts. Multiple policy discounts are helpful and the ability to pay automatic payments are helpful too. I like the discounts they give but still expensive. I like to see lower prices and should have pamphlet to explain policy instead of legalize that is not easy to understand. But they have good customer service. They answer your questions and have good explanations of policy.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Liberty Mutual was reasonably priced and offered the things that I needed to have considering that I live in an area where there is a possibility of fire and flood. I chose Liberty Mutual because it had the things I needed at a better price than the others and other people recommended them to me as being reputable company in our area. I would have liked it to be less expensive though.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I like Liberty Mutual because they have the best rates for me. I was able to get bundle deals, low prices for all my properties. I switched from other insurance companies because Liberty had the best reviews. They also have the best customer service. They are never rude when you call and if they don't know the answer to the question, they will ask someone else. I would recommend this insurance provider to everyone. I am glad I switched over... If you ever want the best, Liberty Mutual is what you need.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My sister had such high regards for Liberty Mutual that I switched from GEICO and never looked back. And I saved money when I switched and they were so nice. I just wished I should have done it sooner than I did. Although I thought they would have a better bundling plan after I brought my cars over. And they don't have to remind me that my statement is ready since I have them on auto pay. But other than that, I like that they didn't raise the rate of my premium after one claim and how they were so quick and courteous settling my claim. And I like the way they send me a birthday card every year just little things like that.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

They are a very good insurance company and they help you get the best rates. They are very good at making sure you get the very best deal you can get and you are very well taken care of. They also pay your claim on time and are very nice to you too.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Protecting my home is perhaps the most important thing, and I must keep it in good hands, under good protection. Being able to travel and traveling quietly, knowing that I have a large insurance company fills me with calm. Liberty Mutual is a protection plan that gives me protection, from flood to what is inside my house, as far as material goods are concerned. I am really pleased to have such a good protection plan. This protection plan also had better benefits in terms of the amount that he would receive for damages.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I like that Liberty Mutual has great customer service and answered my questions without judgement. I like that, at the time, they offered the lowest rate on my policy. I have since found a better rate. However, I also took customer service and how I was treated initially into consideration when I was choosing this company to insure my property. But, I would like to improve this company's rate to insure our home and to improve access to them in our area. Now, I would like for them to be more competitive in my area.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had a pipe break in my house. Liberty said they would fully pay to have it dried out. They then charged me 2.5 times my deductible. After they tore four rooms out of my house they left the kitchen among other rooms unusable. They told me to get estimates and turn them in, I did. They didn’t like the estimates and told me I need to find someone else. This is now three months after the initial claim. I couldn’t get any more estimates as I had already called every contractor in the phone book. I asked if I could get my house fixed and they told me if I called anyone without their approval, I would not be reimbursed for the repairs. I am now at 7. On the with no kitchen and no way to prepare food for my family.

We have been forced to eat out every night (it’s horrible after a week or so, especially in a small town). They were reimbursing us for our meals but when we turned in the last set of receipts, they told us they were closing our claim. No notice, no repairs were made, nothing. We are now stuck with a bill of 3-5000 for restaurant meals, a $30000 repair bill and still needing to feed a family of 5. Thanks Liberty Mutual for not living up to your policy. By the way, my policy does state that Liberty will pay for all extra expenses incurred due to the damage, including meals. They also tried to take depreciation into account on my floors even though the policy clearly states the damages will be fully repaired regardless of depreciation, it’s to be replaced at replacement cost, no depreciated cost. Worst insurance company ever. I had a similar experience with my auto insurance a few years ago with them. I switched that then, I should have switched my homeowners also.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

So my husband and I were about to purchase a house (we just moved into an apartment at the time) and we wanted to get a quote from Liberty to see if their insurance would be cheaper than Geico (our current carrier). My husband spoke with a salesperson named Jessica (can't recall the last name), and my husband asked about getting a quote on a policy. But something weird was happening. Usually you just get an email or something about a quote, but not this time. She was aggressively trying to get my husband to sign off on paperwork. Wait a minute, you don't that for a quote, so my husband declined and hung up. A few weeks later we get something in the mail from them. It was an actual insurance policy. We didn't sign any paperwork nor did we give them permission to send us anything.

On 9/25/18, We called them and I left a message on their public page on Facebook to let them know that they were scamming us. I spoke with Lauren and Bernard through FB. We had to fill out a cancellation form (why? it's a fake account). They got the fake policy number that we received and we were told that there will be a 48 hour turnaround time for a cancellation. Fine, we thought that this was over. A few weeks later, we have moved into our new home. It is now 10/18/18. My husband went to check our mortgage info and found out that Liberty has received a payment. Wait, what? They're not our insurance company, Geico is. My husband called our mortgage company and found out that they have been harassing them about a payment/late charges, so they sent them a payment.

Once we dug more into this situation, we found out that Liberty didn't decide to cancel the fake account until it was time for a "payment", sent our mortgage company a bill, then once they got the payment, they "cancelled the policy". So apparently scamming people and creating fake accounts is now the new trend for insurance companies. We went through this whole nightmare with them (and still are) all because they want to get extra money from consumers. My husband called them to find out why didn't they cancel the fake policy. Of course there was no answer.

Also, instead of just sending our mortgage company the check back, they wanted us to give them our address so that WE can get the check and send it back to our mortgage company. We were afraid to do that because then that will be another scam for them to create another fake policy. Right now, we're going to wait and see if this fake account is removed and get our refund. If not, then may need to seek legal help. I hope that there are others out there who have had similar situations and take them to court, because this is grounds for a lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I feel bad for those who have had negative experiences with Liberty Mutual home insurance. I read those reviews after a tree fell on our garage and worried about it. But, we had an excellent experience. We have had Liberty Mutual home insurance since 2005. They are the only company who will insure our home because it was built in 1850. They are also the most reasonable insurers. This incident was the first home loss claim we have filed.

A tree fell on our house on a Saturday. We called emergency tree service first and then Liberty Mutual. On Tuesday morning, the adjuster, Will, came to the house to inspect. He was very professional and understanding. He cut us a check on the spot for 1/3 of our policy limit. He added the tree service to his system so he could pay them directly, taking stress off of us.

It took a while for us to find legitimate contractors. Once we did, I sent three estimates to Will. He reviewed them. I told him we were ready to start the work. Within three days, he stopped by our house with a check for the balance. On top of that all, he forgave our $1000 deductible because the garage ended up being way more expensive to replace than anyone could have guessed. My experience with Liberty Mutual has been nothing but excellent. He responded to phone calls and emails in a timely manner. I never felt abandoned or stranded throughout this entire process.

Liberty Mutual - Homeowners Company Information