Call toll free*
Based on 149 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Hartford - Auto

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Last updated: April 16, 2018

225 Hartford - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

We have been with Hartford for 3-4 years. Have never had a claim. Last year we had a tire blowout on the highway. We did not hit anything, no pot-hole, did not lose control, all other tires fine. Simply an act of nature I'm guessing. The severity of the blowout caused slight damage. My husband put in a claim for repairs. $1000 deductible. Hartford paid $1200. Surprise! Our insurance jumped $3000!! For the next three years! The claim was put in as an "at fault" collision accident?! The claims supervisor was very nice and is changing the claim to a NOT at fault claim.

However, this does nothing for us as I'm told it is a chargeable incident. Now all companies see it as this. Had we known, we would have paid for the repairs ourselves. Would have been much cheaper! Extremely disappointed with Hartford. For an incident we had no control over, no other vehicles involved. Will be switching to something a little less expensive. So much for being a good, paying, responsible customer.

Original review: April 7, 2018

During my two years with the Hartford, they failed to get my personal info correct on my policy. They listed my car having a lien when it didn’t. They represented me as a homeowner when I clearly stated that I rented. I believe that they sell personal information to contractors who, of course, require homeowners to market their services to. After two years with no claims and no payouts, they dropped me. Good riddance - Geico is happy to take (less of) my money for the same coverage. Price compare - just because they get a nod from the AARP doesn’t make them a standout.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 30, 2018

My car was hit in a parking lot by a woman who had Hartford Insurance. The accident was the woman's fault and Hartford agreed. It was 2 days before we had a vacation planned. My husband did not want to take the car on vacation because he was afraid the door could fall off. The body shop agreed to take it in right away and start the fixes so it would be ready when we returned. The Hartford told me the clock starts ticking when they start the work and they said it should take 5 days. Well we planned to be back and just get the car then. When we were on the trip the body shop was notified that the part would delayed and it would be ultimately add 5 more days to us not having our car. We found this out when we returned. The Hartford said they would only pay for 5 days and we should have cancelled our vacation or we should have taken the bashed in car. In their opinion still drivable. They said, "You should not rent a car until the part is in."

They refused to pay for the rent a car for the extra days it took to get the part. They treated us like dirt as if we were cheating them out of money. They said we should have cancelled the vacation even though we would have lost thousands. Why should we cancel it because their policy holder hit us...so we can be victimized more. Their solution was we should have driven the bashed in car on vacation until we knew all parts were in. The claims handler was rude, disrespectful and did not treat us like a potential customer. Exceptions can be made in situations like ours when someone hits you right before your vacation. They were low class in their treatment of us. I would never recommend them to anyone. Zero customer service, zero caring, just treat people like cattle coming through that they can abuse and just push along... Do not buy their insurance or you will be continuing the unfair treatment and practices.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My grandparents have Home/Auto insurance through The Hartford, and I'm convinced that this company exists solely to take advantage of people over 50. I am listed as covered under their policy and my car is registered under my grandmother's name. I had used the car for an independent food delivery service and for months there was no issue. Then, when the delivery driver company needed me to give them my updated insurance forms I called asking for the forms. The woman that answered was very rude and refused to email me the policy page with my name listed. She said that my policy did not have the type of coverage required for my job. All of a sudden this was an issue when I had been open about my job in the past (over 6 months). She then stated she could get me set up on a new policy, but I told her I would just quit working the delivery job as it was a side job anyway (less than 10 hours a week).

I told her I was not the policyholder and that I didn't want to get a new policy because the car was not registered under my name. She did not say any of this would be a problem and I left the conversation feeling a little miffed, but overall happy to keep my policy. Then, without any call to me or call to my grandparents to ask simple questions, they mailed a notice stating that my car would no longer be insured. This letter arrived weeks after my conversation stating I hadn't worked for the company since October and that it wouldn't be a problem for me to quit. The company demanded an official letterhead document stating I was no longer employed by the delivery driver company. I contacted a representative and gave them all of the information needed to send them the official letter. They demanded it be faxed instead of email.

My representative from my delivery job had no problem doing this, but in 2017, almost 2018, I think it's time to move on to email. So now, after having my representatives fax an official letter and supplying them with the representative's name and phone number for further questions, they demand a notarized form stating that I am no longer employed with this company. Because I was technically an independent contractor for the delivery service, it states that I am "self-employed". However, without this company, I am unable to be paid.

So if I have an official letter stating that I am no longer working, there is no point in me continuing to make deliveries because I will not get paid for said deliveries. This company has done nothing but purposefully misinterpret every step of the way and when I switch the car over to my name I will never go back to The Hartford. I am spreading the word to as many people as possible. Do NOT use The Hartford. They treat their customers extremely poorly and have terrible communication skills.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had not shopped car insurance for several years. I contacted Hartford through AARP and was extremely pleased with assistance that I receive. Great reputation and I experienced great Customer Service. I lowered my rate, and obtained a higher level over coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Claim was reviewed in a timely manner while my auto was sent to the approved shop for repair. I am a former employee of The Hartford, in Worker's Compensation, I get insurance coverage but not at any discount rate. I do think that the coverage I receive is top notch and the rates are extremely competitive, as I do shop around. I am 65 and my rates have gone up so I will shop around again and see what I find. I am also thinking of driving for Uber, so that could make a big difference also.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Stay away from Hartford Insurance/home or auto. Just because it is promoted from AARP, doesn't mean it is cheap!!! They are rude and improper!!! I joined Progressive Insurance for my Auto and saved $1200.00. Then they lied to me about my condo and released me... which was a blessing! I also saved for my Home Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

After retirement we decided to go with the Hartford because they are a part of AARP. BIG mistake! We have a lapse in coverage and needed an SR-22. We were told that they would send this off. Of course they didn't do it. After receiving a letter from the DMV I contacted the Hartford and was told that they would have to look into it and get back ahold of me. No one CALLED! So a week later I remembered I hadn't heard back from them and called. I was told that they are CANCELLING my policy! I was told, "We don't insure people like you!" I asked if I'm cancelled, where was my letter of cancellation so I knew to get a new policy. I was told that even 1 week later they haven't even drafted a letter to us, it would go out in the next few weeks. By the time the letter would have gotten to me my policy would have lapsed! You guys are so screwed up!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After retirement we searched for affordable insurance to cover our main home, a rental home and also our auto's. The Hartford was reasonable. Four years later I called the Hartford to try to get cheaper policies. The rates still seemed high after review with higher deductibles. So I shopped around and found a much better rate. Rather than call and cancel with Hartford I chose to let the policies just run out. Not a problem until I received a late notice by several days for our rental. I called the Harford to make sure it was cancelled. Apparently calling was a big mistake. I was now charged for a policy extension, a late fee and service fees and the threat of being sent to collections. My lesson learned. Don't insure with The Hartford.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

My son was hit by a 90+ y/o driver that has insurance from The Hartford. #1, why are they even insuring 90+ y/o drivers? I received my initial settlement offer from The Hartford, specifically Johnny ** and it wasn't even for the correct vehicle edition. Nor did they give me credit for any aftermarket parts and only provided me an extreme depreciated value for the 1 week old, less than 1,000 mile wheels and tires I had just placed on the vehicle. I informed them of this and he told me I could research the correct vehicle type and submit it to them along with any receipts I had for the aftermarket parts.

After 2 emails and 3 phones calls, I finally received a secondary offer that was extremely depreciated values of our aftermarket parts, wheels and tires as well as below value for our truck. We only wanted to be made whole through this process and now to re-buy a similar truck, aftermarket parts, wheels and tires, we will be out over $3,000. This company sucks, they only provide the bare minimum of reimbursement, of which will not cover the actual work or damage to fix your vehicle. Still battling them over the medical claim that left my son in casts on both wrist and unable to swim during his junior season and possibly forgo scholarships that have been presented to him. Stay clear of The Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The AARP Hartford program is advertised as not raising your rate for an accident. FALSE ADVERTISING!!! I had caused some damage to my vehicle and just found out my car insurance went up 30% for the renewal!! This is usurious!! Stay away from this company!!! Additionally I tried to place my homeowners insurance with the Hartford. The idiot agent refused to sell large enough coverage to actually insure my home. They are a horrible company to do business with.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

We paid monthly through our account via auto pay. Our account was compromised by scammer at gas pump, therefore we were sent new cards. Unknown to us a payment was not paid. Hartford made no timely effort to notify us that payment was not made. We were notified August 1st. for a June payment. When we called to rectify situation, we were told we were cancelled. We unknowingly went one month without insurance. If an accident had occurred during that month we would have sued them, because we could have proven there was very poor effort of notification to us. That is a weird way to run a business.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I was hit at a stop light by a 90 year old driver and caused a 4 car pileup. The old man had this company and after the claim was filed they said to get estimates on the work my car needed, it came up to $4500. They said they were only covering $3100 and that they needed the shop to send them the photos. They did and refuse to cover it after they told me to get it done. Now that it has been repaired they say they needed to see it. Ryan ** and Alyssa ** are liars. I hope to God one of their clients don't hit you or they will do the same to you.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I recently got a letter from them saying my umbrella policy would not be renewed. They gave 4 claims in the last 5 years, but in none of those claims was the accident my fault. Three of them was where I was not even driving my car, parked, or was sitting in it with the engine turned off. On the fourth one, there was no damage to either car, so no claim was ever processed, but they still counted that against me. I brought that up with a representative, but they could not explain why I was treated so unfairly. Their remark was "that's our underwriter department." So that's why I am discontinuing my business relationship with them.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I was hit by someone with The Hartford policy. Not surprising the other driver lied and said it wasn't his fault. My main issue was the adjuster for Hartford who continuously lied to me. She told me that they were trying to determine liability and took statements and my evidence from the accident and then told me the only considered was his statement. I went through the unpleasantness of giving a statement and getting evidence proving that their client was at fault which she said would be considered and then told me only his statement determined their decision about liability. Do Not Trust These People.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I was notified by my bank that our monthly car insurance rate had increased by $26.00 for no reason except that the State of Kansas had revalued the accident rates due to texting and inattentive driving caused by OTHER drivers not by my husband or myself!

Original review: June 12, 2017

I have been a Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance customer through AARP for 5 years. Even I did not file any claims for the first 4 years, my premiums increased every year. This year, my new Lexus was damaged in a hailstorm. Hartford made it very difficult to take the vehicle back to the dealership for repair. Instead, they wanted me to take it to one of their preferred vendors which had poor reviews regarding paint matching. I paid premiums for insurance on a Lexus and therefore thought it only fair to have it repaired by a Lexus dealership.

I received very little cooperation from Hartford and eventually, 7 adjustment checks later was able to get the vehicle fixed, mainly due to the tenacity and cooperation of the Lexus dealership. The repair took almost 3 months because of the back and forth between Hartford and the dealership! I had a crack in the windshield that Hartford refused to repair, saying it could not have been caused by the hailstorm. The crack was not there before the storm but was there after the storm. I had to pay out of pocket to have the chip patched. I have filed a complaint with AARP and the Texas Department of Insurance and will be dropping Hartford as my insurance provider.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I'm a 64 years old woman, retired and excellent driver, no accidents, no tickets with excellent credit. The Hartford increase my premium to $361 more a year. When call to find reason the Hartford employee told me "Because there was many accidents in AZ". Because for my coming renewal I wanted to give up certain extra plans that I have as forgiveness plan, increased my deductible, etc. He told me I can't change anything and if I'm not happy to look for another insurance. Now I'm in the stress to look for another insurance.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have no tickets or accidents on my record. As Hartford advertised, I saved money when I first joined one year ago. Now they just raised my rates and it was hardly worth changing insurance. Disappointed.

Original review: June 9, 2017

They were quick. Professional and fair. Filed claims with our email quick, completed by photos. Payment issued. We have rental included in our premiums.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I recently was rear ended. I called on Fri as they were closed Thurs at time of accident. The guy gave me a claim # & said to use that if I need to go see Dr. He said an adjuster would be contacting me via email. Never did. Then I got a call Mon but missed it. I called back left another message. She called back again this am Tues while I was getting checked out to say I don't vehicle coverage which I knew. Plus that claim # the guy gave me isn't valid as I don't have medical coverage???? So now I have a huge Hospital Bill & no help. Adjuster calls back & says she left message for other co to call her back with a new claim #. So here it is Tuesday I have horrible headaches & discomfort. But I can call the ladies in co directly for info. What exactly am I paying this co for? Think it's time for a change. Hartford is the worst I've ever dealt with.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I was reporting an accident where I was obviously not at fault. The 94-year-old man pulled out of a gas station right into my car. When I called Hartford to file a claim, the woman I spoke to was extremely rude and said that I was partially liable because I didn't see him coming from my rear. She would not listen to my explanation of what happened. I had to file a police report and go back to take photos. There was even a witness who supported my claim. Geico, my insurance, is fighting them in arbitration, but in the meantime, I had to pay the $500 deductible to get the damage fixed on my car. Maybe someday I will be reimbursed, but I can't tell you how much stress this caused me because the Hartford twisted my words. My advice to you, aside from not using Hartford, is to kick up such a fuss at someone who hits you from behind. The police will have to be called, even if it happened in a parking lot.

Original review: April 5, 2017

In September of 2014 I was working on my 2006 Chevrolet Crew cab and needed to move it back a little. I had a Leer Shell on the back of the truck. I left the glass rear cover up and it caught on a strap and twisted the glass and it shattered. I figured it might be covered under comprehensive coverage. I called The Hartford and told them what had happened and asked if it was covered. After checking they said yes. I asked if I filed a claim would that cause my rates to go up. They said no. I filed a claim for $371.19. They paid $82.00.

Last year I wanted to get some rate comparisons with other companies. One of the questions was if you had any accidents or violations in the last three years. I replied no. After checking, one of the companies called me back and said that I had an accident claim in September of 2014. After thinking about it and doing some research I realized that The Hartford had filed my claim as an accident and not comprehensive. I was told by the other insurance company to call The Hartford and see if they would change it from an accident claim to a comprehensive claim. I called and explained the situation to The Hartford, but they would not change it.

As a result my insurance rate quotes with other companies are $500.00 higher for 6 months than what they should be because they have to go by the accident claim. Other companies have told me this should have been a comprehensive claim. This is very unfair as far as I am concerned. They know that you can not change or do anything about it. They will do anything to raise your rates. I would not recommend them at all.

Original review: March 6, 2017

On a busy Saturday evening in metro Atlanta, a vehicle was driving erratic on I-85 exiting on Sugarloaf PKWY. The vehicle came up speeding from behind and jumped in front of me and slammed on brakes. I avoided the accident and called 911 from my car Bluetooth. As I'm reporting what's going on to the dispatcher the vehicle sped up and slammed on the brakes. At first I thought the driver was just drunk and driving erratic but it was obvious he was trying to stage an accident. While trying to keep my distance and avoid someone colliding into me while merging onto N. Brown Rd the driver sped up as if he was going to join N. Brown Rd since no cars was at the intersection but it had other plans... slammed on brakes and I couldn't avoid hitting him and I rear ended him.

The driver did not exit the vehicle nor check his damages. He was driving an older Mercedes and it was clear he wanted Bodily Injury payout and some quick cash for the damages. It was obvious this was a case of "Swoop & squat". My newer Infiniti bumper was cracked and just paint from my vehicle on his rear bumper. The 911 dispatcher was still on the line when the accident occurred so she dispatched an officer immediately. After telling the officer my story he gave me a citation for "following too closely" because of the type of accident. The officer instructed me to obtain the 911 call and dispute the ticket.

When the accident report became available I contacted his insurance carrier (The Hartford) and I explained the situation to the Claims rep CARLOS ** in TX and he instructed me to forward the 911 call so it can be reviewed. I informed him his customer was committing insurance FRAUD and he said, "IT'S MY DUTY TO BE ON MY INSURED SIDE AND PROTECT THEM!" So I said maybe after he review the tape his feelings will change. WRONG!!! Never received a call or email from CARLOS **. I even contacted his supervisor REBECCA ** in TX and she never reached back out to me. So basically if you want to commit fraud and have a company support you... go to THE HARTFORD!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I have had this company since 2009. Over the years it gets worst and worst. I recently move to SC. I tried to update my new address. I had to speak to 5 or 6 different people and they all had a different version on the story. Do you not take the time to train your employees? I had the first one say to me he had to run a credit report. I said what if I say NO. He said, "You will have to find another insurance company." One of my benefits is a lifetime lack to cancel the policy. I asked him, "Why are you threatening me."

In the end the spiteful little dude put the wrong address on the NEW POLICY he just wrote - interesting, which cost me ALL the loss of my liability insurance because he then raised the policy almost 600.00 dollars. So all the coverage came off the policy. (That would be the bodily liability 100,000, 300,000, 100,000.) Now we are at 25,000! We are elders and we make less and less money (forget about getting all the benefits we worked hard for in this life - it's like pulling teeth to get the 401, or all the stupid pensions that are worthless, etc.)

So my question is: WHY are we being punished to live in South Carolina? Well good luck talking to the rest of the children... "It pertains to the state as a whole." "What everybody else is doing is how they rate." That is not suppose to be our policy! We will not do business with idiots that throw you in a pool and make judgement on drivers, we do not pay for those that torment the roadway. We believe about 90% of drivers should be taken off the road. We can say that, we have been driving for almost 46 years without problems. So this policy is now screwed. As a consumer I am not happy and reading over the reviews I can see others are unhappy also.

So what is insurance? A waste of people's money and 'legal' organized crime with a bunch of babble employees who do not know their ** from their elbow. I also like the big discounts, think I hit it on the head when he said you get a discount for dual airbags. Great what is that $2.00 for the year. PLEASE. They cannot mention this in the endorsements. I also like the fact they thought my vehicles were registered in AZ and we moved to Colorado for two and a half years. Do they think my cars can drive themselves? Guess these children think they can!!! Of course the consumer is at fault. "Why didn't you notify us." Hello why are you sending the statements to the right address with the yearly premium due? Why is the customers doing your job!!!

What this government allowed and what big corporation did will haunt them all the days of their lives; laid off all the elders because of fear. In their big decision, these children haven't a clue how to make money. Which we learned from our elders. May God bless each and everyone the merits they so deserve. Because for disobedience comes punishment not for one but for ALL. Guess that's the point, just look around. Will hunt for another insurance company that is educated, knows how to be fair, knows what the consumers wants. That's how you make money and have God's blessings. If none is to be had, which looks like the top runner today, will drop from society...

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I was hit by somebody who has Hartford insurance. All around, it has been a really difficult insurance company to work with. I can rarely get through to the claims adjuster, they are rude and difficult to work with, and it has been nearly 2 months since the incident and I have yet to been able to have my vehicle repaired. I'm not sure how their rates are, but for the amount of hassle working with them I would not recommend them to anybody. If you have to make a claim, you will quickly find out where and how they are cutting corners to give you a better rate and regret your decision to have chosen this company in the first place.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

This company promised to honor my claim against their insured. I cannot begin to tell you what a horrible chain of unexplained unfortunate events I have had since October 9, 2016. First of all the driver immediately admitted fault. They took 2 months to come to look at my car. It took them until December 22, 2016 to make any kind of decision to pay for my injury and decide the disposition of the total loss. It turns out the car was not exactly totalled, but they said the repairs exceeded the value of the vehicle. They never accepted any liability for the engine or parts under the hood. I have been strapped with the cost of repairing a tampered with engine which either occurred at their assessment site or some other location. I rented a car which mysteriously got towed.

Someone put antifreeze in the oil. Someone left the seals out of my oil filter causing major spills under the hood and causing damage to my engine. They are taking no responsibility for me having to rent a car or use Lyft even after they said they would pay for the Lyfts. They paid out the damages to the car in two separate payments and the final one they sent to a closed bank account where the "ENTIRE" electronic payment was eaten up my hacker’s overdraft fees. They were faxed the correct bank information prior to the payment by the bank manager of the correct bank. They replaced the money only after the feds told me to tell them that they had committed banking fraud. At the time the bank deposit hit, my insurance company, which I cancelled, since they wouldn't help me, dipped into the same account for a payment due (which wasn't due since I cancelled them) of $371.00!

How would they know the date of the deposit unless there was some sort of collusion between the two companies? On the heels of that they are saying that since I am an old woman on Medicare, they won't pay me a cent for bodily injury until Medicare says ok. Medicare didn't pay my hospital bill and told them over and over. They want a letter proving Medicare has no lien. As a matter of fact, they paid none of my medicals so I couldn't get treated for a concussion! Now this is not my first accident by a long shot. Somehow they seem to seek me out. I know, however, that there is a work around for that Medicare business. No other company in the USA has done this and they all say there is a formula that you apply to the bills on the itemized statement which is accepted by the Medicare people. That estimate is available from the hospital billing department. Hartford claims is delaying me unnecessarily.

They tampered with my bank account (took $1000 + until ACH said they should replace the money and they did), they tampered with my car, they had my rental towed, I was robbed of $500 at the correct bank, I was robbed by a pickpocket of $200, I was robbed of my cell phone twice. I was robbed of my dental partial, the back door of the car mysteriously won't close properly, someone placed the name of the previous owner on my guarantee for the new replacement tires after the accident, they took the rental after a week and that didn't give me enough time to get another vehicle. They paid me less than the car was worth because I am a OLDER WOMAN, WHO HAS A DISABILITY!

THEY ARE THIEVES and it appears that they hire street thieves because too much happened in the aftermath of this incident. Watch out for them. Doesn't matter how old your car is, have a right to have a replacement. Doesn't matter how many claims you have had, you have a right to be treated with dignity. Strebel and her goons have made a fool of me, causing me to rent a car through the entire holiday and leaving me without a vehicle in my 60s. Not only that, they investigated me. But who is investigating them? Look at all of these complaints! But it all comes back.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

When I signed up with The Hartford for auto and renters insurance (recommended by AARP), I was quoted a certain premium amount for each. I subsequently received a bill from The Hartford for premium amounts higher than originally quoted. I called and was told by a Hartford billing department employee the monthly amounts I was supposed to be paying and where to send the money. Months later, I get a bill for higher monthly amounts (not a renewal – this is within the yearly policy period). I called The Hartford again and was told I wasn't paying the right amounts. Mike with The Hartford says he doesn't know why I was told the wrong amounts by the previous Hartford billing department employee. The company has done this to me twice now. I wonder if this is their standard practice, because they must be making a lot of money off of the customers who just pay these arbitrary bills without questioning them. AARP members beware!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

First I want to say that in 2015 I got hit by someone who had no insurance - total lost of my Lexus (I was at NO FAULT). Contacted Hartford Ins and got an amazing service, fast and courteous responses. Got the check for my car actual value and was very fair, no complaints. Note: We have two cars insured and both of us have a 100% clean driving record. Now PREMIUM: last year we had an increase of 37% for the premium and this year another 38% increase. A 71% increase in 2 years - reasons they gave us: flooding and hurricane in SC. That's $770 per year more than 2015 (we pay full for one year). Currently checking with other insurances and most of them don't have this level of increase in their premiums. AARP may want to double check them as their provider of choice.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Beats the cost of other insurance companies. Though I have never had a claim, I find the customer service rep. friendly and helpful. I have cost compared over the years on both home on auto and find Hartford the least costly.

Hartford - Auto Company Information