2. Automotive

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers
Hartford - Auto Get a Quote

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Very professional staff. Top notch when my car was totaled last year. Kept me updated on what was happening. Had a rental car the very next day. Car was no bought to me so you didn’t have to worry how I was going to get the rental. All paperwork was done. Very efficient.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The Hartford isn't for everyone but for smart seniors, it's the only one. My policy was due for renewal, I shopped around making sure they were still my best option. I only appreciated them more! Their mascot's a buck but they're to the point. (Pun intended!) Their advertising leads with what they offer. No annoying, IRRELEVANT emu, gecko, or weird people in baker's aprons avoiding issues of what they're actually trying to sell.

The Hartford has friendly, knowledgeable customer service reps eager to be helpful. They offer discounts for bundling & driver courses to keep skills sharp. Accident free vanishing deductibles & road service included. Enrolled in AARP, you'll receive monthly informational magazine. A long time business, they're a most respected insurer for reason. I drive affordably confident knowing that The Buck has my got my back!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We have been with the Hartford insurance for a few years and have been very happy with their service. Fortunately we haven't had to use their service for anything but any time we have contacted them they have always been very helpful and courteous to us. We've been with other insurance companies in the past but so far we are happy with the Hartford.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really love Hartford insurance. Great reputation. Affordable coverage. Really good umbrella policies. Many payment options. Super-duper really good customer service. They care about their customers and they always work with you if your payment is going to be late.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The Hartford is a petty fair priced insurance company, I shop around for a while. The price was about half the price compared to any other insurance, and it was their price was for a full year and better policy.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Two weeks after I joined Hartford announced my insurance would be 50% higher than what the contract said, and threatened to tell the state (and my mortgage company) that I'd gone two weeks without insurance if I didn't pay the new price. The most brazenly dishonest company I've ever heard of -- and AARP promotes it!

Original review: July 1, 2020

I joined AARP and decided to get a quote on auto insurance to lower my payments. When I finished the process, I received an alert that they can't offer coverage for me at this time. I received a letter in the mail stating that because of two "driving incidents" they denied coverage. One dated 11/2/19 and another dated 1/27/20. I couldn't remember any incidents. I called. He told me that it was for ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE claim I had for my dead battery! I have road side assistance on Geico, and when my car wouldn't start, I called for help. Hartford counted this against me and denied coverage!!! I can't even believe it! THIS COMPANY STINKS!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Initially the price of this insurance was great. Then a fender bender happened and our rates skyrocketed. Hartford claimed an issue from 5 years prior, plus the current fender bender was the cause for the increase in rates. We were not insured with Hartford from the previous incident 5 years earlier. We shopped around and chose Allstate. Hartford then charged us hundreds of dollars to get out of their policy!! I would definitely NOT recommend Hartford.

Original review: May 12, 2020

My spouse and I have great driving records. After MANY emails and letters, we finally decided to try Hartford. We found the pricing not any better than three other major insurance companies. The policy lasts one year, which is supposed to be a plus, but we got that from Amica as well. Claims is a disaster! All I had was a cracked windshield and they turned it into a big deal. Their agents are polite, but their process stinks.

As a senior staying home due to Covid-19, Hartford wanted me to go to Safelite's location for the replacement! So much for stay at home, stay safe! No mention of the mobile glass repair service that most people use. (Now a few years ago when I went to my local Safelite office for a chip repair, I sat in a dirty lounge for nearly 5 hours as other customers came and went. Finally, they realized my promised repair time of 30 to 40 minutes had not been met--even that time is longer than most of their competitors to fix a chip. They gave me free wipers for the inconvenience. Woopie!)

The first "Hartford" (in quotes because they might have been a Safelite employee) agent I talked to confirmed a date and time with Safelite. It was six days later! I even had a call back from the agent confirming it. The morning for the appointment arrives and nothing. No call or email to confirm. One hour into my 5 HOUR window--worse than cable TV or Internet installation, I contact Safelite's robocall customer service system which tells me they have no service call scheduled with me, at all, on any day. I call Hartford back. Again polite agent who confirms that I called, but no appointment was scheduled? What? She didn't know why. Then, she tried to get me to go to Safelite for the repair. Ugh! Really?

Glass customer claims are managed by Safelite. I imagine for 3 reasons, 1) save Hartford money, 2) send business to Safelite, 3) kickback to Hartford? Safelite's priorities seem simple, get as many Hartford glass claims as possible and save money by sending seniors out to their repair/retail locations. Customer service/convenience is not the primary goal.

I remain hopeful that this appointment will be honored. I also think, once here, the repair person will do a very good job. But, I guess that this experience has failed to demonstrate to me any compelling reason why my switching to Hartford was a better choice than Amica or Geico who both really want our business. How did they get in bed with AARP? I'm just glad my claim wasn't for an accident. I hope those agents aren't pushing a company like glass folks do.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I had my 2011 perfect condition Subaru with 50k miles totaled in a freak flood. The AARP Hartford auto had low balled the claim by a couple thousand of dollars. They do this by hiring a third party whose methodology is grossly negligent is creating a valuation from "comparable" vehicles. Their fraudulent scheme includes only cars with over 100k of mileage and then doing a modest adjustment for a low mileage vehicle. This certainly does not work for a high demand Japanese Subaru. The vendor also subtracts from the valuation the list price of useless accessories like tinting, moon roofs, etc. It is disgraceful and I intend to take this up with AARP which brands this auto insurance.

Hartford - Auto Company Information