Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.27/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Hartford - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We have been insured with this company for many years. We have had claims over the years which have been settled without any problems. We also have a package deal which includes our home insurance (total of three properties) and vehicle insurance. We have no local agent, all business is conducted online or by phone which has worked out well over the years. I would highly recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Had this company through AARP for 5+ years and things were great until I filed a claim. The claim was paid promptly and fairly, but my next premium notice went up about 100%. I'd never had a claim before so we "promptly" dropped them and went to Texas Farm Bureau!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim with them. I am basing my answers on their customer service whenever I call with questions and whenever I am considering making changes on the policy. At the time I purchased it some years ago, they gave me the best price of the ones I checked.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Was sideswiped by a driver who tried to get ahead of me by passing on the right shoulder. Problem was there was someone already sitting on the shoulder in front of the driver so to avoid hitting him, he turned into me. In any case my claim through The Hartford has been handled with the utmost professionalism and compassion by Meaghan ** in the claims Dept. I can't say enough good things about her. My car was repaired within a week after handing it over to the repair shop. I am now looking to work with The Hartford to prove culpability on the other driver's part. I hope The Hartford doesn't hit me with punishing rate hikes but in any case, Meaghan and the claims process has been exemplary. Also a shout out to Peter ** for exemplary service as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Just bought a 2016 Tesla S 75 that has 19,000 miles. Truly one of the safest cars to drive. So safe that many insurance companies give a discount for Tesla owners. Instead, Hartford, whom I’ve been with for years refuses to insure my car! I very suddenly have to scramble to find new insurance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I had The Hartford for 11 years. Every year my rates increased, at first it was around $100 to $150 a year until the last three years it was around $300 or more per year. I have two older vehicles, 2003 and 2006 Hyundai's. I do not carry collision on either one and they wanted $2300 for this next year. I called a very well known, reputable insurance company that quoted me $539 for 6 months for both vehicles and with the same coverage. This was over a $1200 savings for the year. I feel like I have been taken advantage of by The Hartford for several years until I had finally had it with them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Takes forever to get anything done. Have called and called and when someone does finally call back and leave a number, I immediately return their call and only get a recording. When with State Farm car would be repaired within a couple of weeks. With Hartford, repair work has not even been scheduled in well over two weeks. Also have no idea of when it will even be!

Have only had maybe two or three auto claims in over 50 years of driving, Fortunately this is the first with Hartford. It takes a very long time to even have an adjuster return a call much less answer any questions. It has been very difficult for repair company to get anyone from Hartford to return a call. Don’t believe they have even talked yet in over two weeks. Very, very dissatisfied and frustrated with Hartford. Hopefully it will not take more than a month to finally get repair work at least started. Very, very dissatisfied with Hartford.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Very bad customer service experience and forced hidden fees for small business insurance. They are just low life crooks. Stay away from that kind of company for any type of insurance. You will get robbed!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I switched to Hartford insurance after seeing the "GREAT,COMMERCIALS"... Unfortunately commercials are MUCH BETTER than the insurance! I had an idiot pull right in front of of me. Rather than hit him him I chose the curb and locking my brakes, so not my fault.... Right. They totally IGNORED MY CLAIM, When I called to see what was going on NO RECORD I HAD CALLED!... They done the same thing! After second call!..., I had full coverage, no prior accidents EVER with anyone. It done damage to frame so my car was totalled! These people want ONE THING! YOUR MONEY!! Look at the rest of the people who had these losers, Beware Beware Beware!

Not sure about Hartford - Auto?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Hartford - Auto Company Information