2. Automotive

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.28/5

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford is an insurance company that specializes in covering drivers ages 50 and above. It partners with AARP to provide members benefits and discounts. It’s available across the U.S. and offers a variety of policy options.

PROS

• Available nationwide
  • Well-established company
  • Specialized coverage for seniors

CONS

• Expensive for young drivers
  • Some benefits for AARP members only
Hartford - Auto Get a Quote

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Very professional staff. Top notch when my car was totaled last year. Kept me updated on what was happening. Had a rental car the very next day. Car was no bought to me so you didn’t have to worry how I was going to get the rental. All paperwork was done. Very efficient.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The Hartford isn't for everyone but for smart seniors, it's the only one. My policy was due for renewal, I shopped around making sure they were still my best option. I only appreciated them more! Their mascot's a buck but they're to the point. (Pun intended!) Their advertising leads with what they offer. No annoying, IRRELEVANT emu, gecko, or weird people in baker's aprons avoiding issues of what they're actually trying to sell.

The Hartford has friendly, knowledgeable customer service reps eager to be helpful. They offer discounts for bundling & driver courses to keep skills sharp. Accident free vanishing deductibles & road service included. Enrolled in AARP, you'll receive monthly informational magazine. A long time business, they're a most respected insurer for reason. I drive affordably confident knowing that The Buck has my got my back!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We have been with the Hartford insurance for a few years and have been very happy with their service. Fortunately we haven't had to use their service for anything but any time we have contacted them they have always been very helpful and courteous to us. We've been with other insurance companies in the past but so far we are happy with the Hartford.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really love Hartford insurance. Great reputation. Affordable coverage. Really good umbrella policies. Many payment options. Super-duper really good customer service. They care about their customers and they always work with you if your payment is going to be late.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The Hartford is a petty fair priced insurance company, I shop around for a while. The price was about half the price compared to any other insurance, and it was their price was for a full year and better policy.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I called Hartford Auto Insurance in August of 2020 to file a claim to replace my windshield. I have had insurance with Hartford for almost 2 years. I have full coverage and they told me I have a $500 deductible. They said they could repair it for free but if something went wrong I would have to replace the windshield and pay $500.00. I have lived in Charleston SC for 12 years and have had my windshield replaced by other insurance companies for free. So when Hartford told me that I thought maybe the law had changed. I TRUSTED that Hartford knew what state I lived in and knew the law since they are in the business of insurance across the country!

I scheduled Safelite to come to my house to repair the windshield. The technician explained due to the many chips in my windshield and being close together that there was a big chance that the windshield might crack during repair. He advised me to replace the windshield, I said I did not want to pay the $500 deductible. The tech said if you have full coverage there should not be a deductible in the state of Carolina. I told the tech I talked to two people from Hartford at two different times and they both told me I had a $500 deductible. The technician said he had a client yesterday who was told the same thing by Hartford, Safelite called Hartford and Harford waived that person's deductible.

The tech said he could have their office call Hartford to confirm my full coverage policy. I told them to call. Safelite called me and had Hartford on the phone with them. Hartford said they will waive the deductible for me. I asked Hartford, "Why did you tell me I had a deductible when I called in???" I said, "Do you not see my address on your screen and know what state I live in?? and that with full coverage in SC the windshield is free replacement". Hartford said "No I am in Illinois and we cannot see that you are in SC, we only go by what we see on the screen and it shows you have a deductible". I said, "So unless we the policy holder or the company replacing the windshield TELLS YOU what state we are in and that our law is a free windshield with full coverage you have no idea of this." She said yes. I said, so I wonder how many people in SC that is not aware this law has paid Hartford $500 for a replacement windshield!!!!

My trust went right out the door for this company. By not flagging their system to recognize SC law they just treat every state the same and see how many people they can steal from. I told the lady at Hartford I would be cancelling my policy with them because I would never be able to trust them again. As much technology there is you cannot tell me Hartford cannot flag their system for South Carolina policy holders. This is FRAUD!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

After being on hold twice before up to an hour, not 15 minutes and counting with The most awful on hold repetitive ditty. Was told there are multiple complaints about the music. Their app doesn't work, and reps blame my phone. I have all the driving records on my phone, so it is the hook up. Galaxy Note 10. shouldn't be an issue. Threats to cancel the deduction.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Two weeks after I joined Hartford announced my insurance would be 50% higher than what the contract said, and threatened to tell the state (and my mortgage company) that I'd gone two weeks without insurance if I didn't pay the new price. The most brazenly dishonest company I've ever heard of -- and AARP promotes it!

Original review: July 1, 2020

I joined AARP and decided to get a quote on auto insurance to lower my payments. When I finished the process, I received an alert that they can't offer coverage for me at this time. I received a letter in the mail stating that because of two "driving incidents" they denied coverage. One dated 11/2/19 and another dated 1/27/20. I couldn't remember any incidents. I called. He told me that it was for ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE claim I had for my dead battery! I have road side assistance on Geico, and when my car wouldn't start, I called for help. Hartford counted this against me and denied coverage!!! I can't even believe it! THIS COMPANY STINKS!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Initially the price of this insurance was great. Then a fender bender happened and our rates skyrocketed. Hartford claimed an issue from 5 years prior, plus the current fender bender was the cause for the increase in rates. We were not insured with Hartford from the previous incident 5 years earlier. We shopped around and chose Allstate. Hartford then charged us hundreds of dollars to get out of their policy!! I would definitely NOT recommend Hartford.

Hartford - Auto Company Information