Hartford - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In September of 2014 I was working on my 2006 Chevrolet Crew cab and needed to move it back a little. I had a Leer Shell on the back of the truck. I left the glass rear cover up and it caught on a strap and twisted the glass and it shattered. I figured it might be covered under comprehensive coverage. I called The Hartford and told them what had happened and asked if it was covered. After checking they said yes. I asked if I filed a claim would that cause my rates to go up. They said no. I filed a claim for $371.19. They paid $82.00.

Last year I wanted to get some rate comparisons with other companies. One of the questions was if you had any accidents or violations in the last three years. I replied no. After checking, one of the companies called me back and said that I had an accident claim in September of 2014. After thinking about it and doing some research I realized that The Hartford had filed my claim as an accident and not comprehensive. I was told by the other insurance company to call The Hartford and see if they would change it from an accident claim to a comprehensive claim. I called and explained the situation to The Hartford, but they would not change it.

As a result my insurance rate quotes with other companies are $500.00 higher for 6 months than what they should be because they have to go by the accident claim. Other companies have told me this should have been a comprehensive claim. This is very unfair as far as I am concerned. They know that you can not change or do anything about it. They will do anything to raise your rates. I would not recommend them at all.

On a busy Saturday evening in metro Atlanta, a vehicle was driving erratic on I-85 exiting on Sugarloaf PKWY. The vehicle came up speeding from behind and jumped in front of me and slammed on brakes. I avoided the accident and called 911 from my car Bluetooth. As I'm reporting what's going on to the dispatcher the vehicle sped up and slammed on the brakes. At first I thought the driver was just drunk and driving erratic but it was obvious he was trying to stage an accident. While trying to keep my distance and avoid someone colliding into me while merging onto N. Brown Rd the driver sped up as if he was going to join N. Brown Rd since no cars was at the intersection but it had other plans... slammed on brakes and I couldn't avoid hitting him and I rear ended him.

The driver did not exit the vehicle nor check his damages. He was driving an older Mercedes and it was clear he wanted Bodily Injury payout and some quick cash for the damages. It was obvious this was a case of "Swoop & squat". My newer Infiniti bumper was cracked and just paint from my vehicle on his rear bumper. The 911 dispatcher was still on the line when the accident occurred so she dispatched an officer immediately. After telling the officer my story he gave me a citation for "following too closely" because of the type of accident. The officer instructed me to obtain the 911 call and dispute the ticket.

When the accident report became available I contacted his insurance carrier (The Hartford) and I explained the situation to the Claims rep CARLOS ** in TX and he instructed me to forward the 911 call so it can be reviewed. I informed him his customer was committing insurance FRAUD and he said, "IT'S MY DUTY TO BE ON MY INSURED SIDE AND PROTECT THEM!" So I said maybe after he review the tape his feelings will change. WRONG!!! Never received a call or email from CARLOS **. I even contacted his supervisor REBECCA ** in TX and she never reached back out to me. So basically if you want to commit fraud and have a company support you... go to THE HARTFORD!!!

I have had this company since 2009. Over the years it gets worst and worst. I recently move to SC. I tried to update my new address. I had to speak to 5 or 6 different people and they all had a different version on the story. Do you not take the time to train your employees? I had the first one say to me he had to run a credit report. I said what if I say NO. He said, "You will have to find another insurance company." One of my benefits is a lifetime lack to cancel the policy. I asked him, "Why are you threatening me."

In the end the spiteful little dude put the wrong address on the NEW POLICY he just wrote - interesting, which cost me ALL the loss of my liability insurance because he then raised the policy almost 600.00 dollars. So all the coverage came off the policy. (That would be the bodily liability 100,000, 300,000, 100,000.) Now we are at 25,000! We are elders and we make less and less money (forget about getting all the benefits we worked hard for in this life - it's like pulling teeth to get the 401, or all the stupid pensions that are worthless, etc.)

So my question is: WHY are we being punished to live in South Carolina? Well good luck talking to the rest of the children... "It pertains to the state as a whole." "What everybody else is doing is how they rate." That is not suppose to be our policy! We will not do business with idiots that throw you in a pool and make judgement on drivers, we do not pay for those that torment the roadway. We believe about 90% of drivers should be taken off the road. We can say that, we have been driving for almost 46 years without problems. So this policy is now screwed. As a consumer I am not happy and reading over the reviews I can see others are unhappy also.

So what is insurance? A waste of people's money and 'legal' organized crime with a bunch of babble employees who do not know their ** from their elbow. I also like the big discounts, think I hit it on the head when he said you get a discount for dual airbags. Great what is that $2.00 for the year. PLEASE. They cannot mention this in the endorsements. I also like the fact they thought my vehicles were registered in AZ and we moved to Colorado for two and a half years. Do they think my cars can drive themselves? Guess these children think they can!!! Of course the consumer is at fault. "Why didn't you notify us." Hello why are you sending the statements to the right address with the yearly premium due? Why is the customers doing your job!!!

What this government allowed and what big corporation did will haunt them all the days of their lives; laid off all the elders because of fear. In their big decision, these children haven't a clue how to make money. Which we learned from our elders. May God bless each and everyone the merits they so deserve. Because for disobedience comes punishment not for one but for ALL. Guess that's the point, just look around. Will hunt for another insurance company that is educated, knows how to be fair, knows what the consumers wants. That's how you make money and have God's blessings. If none is to be had, which looks like the top runner today, will drop from society...

I was hit by somebody who has Hartford insurance. All around, it has been a really difficult insurance company to work with. I can rarely get through to the claims adjuster, they are rude and difficult to work with, and it has been nearly 2 months since the incident and I have yet to been able to have my vehicle repaired. I'm not sure how their rates are, but for the amount of hassle working with them I would not recommend them to anybody. If you have to make a claim, you will quickly find out where and how they are cutting corners to give you a better rate and regret your decision to have chosen this company in the first place.

This company promised to honor my claim against their insured. I cannot begin to tell you what a horrible chain of unexplained unfortunate events I have had since October 9, 2016. First of all the driver immediately admitted fault. They took 2 months to come to look at my car. It took them until December 22, 2016 to make any kind of decision to pay for my injury and decide the disposition of the total loss. It turns out the car was not exactly totalled, but they said the repairs exceeded the value of the vehicle. They never accepted any liability for the engine or parts under the hood. I have been strapped with the cost of repairing a tampered with engine which either occurred at their assessment site or some other location. I rented a car which mysteriously got towed.

Someone put antifreeze in the oil. Someone left the seals out of my oil filter causing major spills under the hood and causing damage to my engine. They are taking no responsibility for me having to rent a car or use Lyft even after they said they would pay for the Lyfts. They paid out the damages to the car in two separate payments and the final one they sent to a closed bank account where the "ENTIRE" electronic payment was eaten up my hacker’s overdraft fees. They were faxed the correct bank information prior to the payment by the bank manager of the correct bank. They replaced the money only after the feds told me to tell them that they had committed banking fraud. At the time the bank deposit hit, my insurance company, which I cancelled, since they wouldn't help me, dipped into the same account for a payment due (which wasn't due since I cancelled them) of $371.00!

How would they know the date of the deposit unless there was some sort of collusion between the two companies? On the heels of that they are saying that since I am an old woman on Medicare, they won't pay me a cent for bodily injury until Medicare says ok. Medicare didn't pay my hospital bill and told them over and over. They want a letter proving Medicare has no lien. As a matter of fact, they paid none of my medicals so I couldn't get treated for a concussion! Now this is not my first accident by a long shot. Somehow they seem to seek me out. I know, however, that there is a work around for that Medicare business. No other company in the USA has done this and they all say there is a formula that you apply to the bills on the itemized statement which is accepted by the Medicare people. That estimate is available from the hospital billing department. Hartford claims is delaying me unnecessarily.

They tampered with my bank account (took $1000 + until ACH said they should replace the money and they did), they tampered with my car, they had my rental towed, I was robbed of $500 at the correct bank, I was robbed by a pickpocket of $200, I was robbed of my cell phone twice. I was robbed of my dental partial, the back door of the car mysteriously won't close properly, someone placed the name of the previous owner on my guarantee for the new replacement tires after the accident, they took the rental after a week and that didn't give me enough time to get another vehicle. They paid me less than the car was worth because I am a OLDER WOMAN, WHO HAS A DISABILITY!

THEY ARE THIEVES and it appears that they hire street thieves because too much happened in the aftermath of this incident. Watch out for them. Doesn't matter how old your car is, have a right to have a replacement. Doesn't matter how many claims you have had, you have a right to be treated with dignity. Strebel and her goons have made a fool of me, causing me to rent a car through the entire holiday and leaving me without a vehicle in my 60s. Not only that, they investigated me. But who is investigating them? Look at all of these complaints! But it all comes back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

When I signed up with The Hartford for auto and renters insurance (recommended by AARP), I was quoted a certain premium amount for each. I subsequently received a bill from The Hartford for premium amounts higher than originally quoted. I called and was told by a Hartford billing department employee the monthly amounts I was supposed to be paying and where to send the money. Months later, I get a bill for higher monthly amounts (not a renewal – this is within the yearly policy period). I called The Hartford again and was told I wasn't paying the right amounts. Mike with The Hartford says he doesn't know why I was told the wrong amounts by the previous Hartford billing department employee. The company has done this to me twice now. I wonder if this is their standard practice, because they must be making a lot of money off of the customers who just pay these arbitrary bills without questioning them. AARP members beware!

First I want to say that in 2015 I got hit by someone who had no insurance - total lost of my Lexus (I was at NO FAULT). Contacted Hartford Ins and got an amazing service, fast and courteous responses. Got the check for my car actual value and was very fair, no complaints. Note: We have two cars insured and both of us have a 100% clean driving record. Now PREMIUM: last year we had an increase of 37% for the premium and this year another 38% increase. A 71% increase in 2 years - reasons they gave us: flooding and hurricane in SC. That's $770 per year more than 2015 (we pay full for one year). Currently checking with other insurances and most of them don't have this level of increase in their premiums. AARP may want to double check them as their provider of choice.

Beats the cost of other insurance companies. Though I have never had a claim, I find the customer service rep. friendly and helpful. I have cost compared over the years on both home on auto and find Hartford the least costly.

My parked vehicle was side-swiped by an advanced age driver. There were four witnesses that saw this happen and the driver immediately admitted fault. Only about 1k in damage, mostly parts. Should have be a quick and simple process but it was NOT. It took four days to get them to take my claim. It took them two more days to text me a link to an app to take pictures of the damage for them. Meanwhile, I am driving around without a side mirror and that seems acceptable to them? Promises to contact me were never met, there were significant delays and they ultimately gave me a ridiculous low ball estimate where the listed replacement parts don't even match my vehicle. Despite my calls and emails, I can't get a returned call now. The claims reps are downright rude. I don't know how this company is still in business. At this point my only option is to go to the expense of getting an attorney.

I am writing this review because I am very displeased with the Hartford Insurance Company. The Hartford more than doubled my insurance premium on my vehicle after I was involved in a small parking lot accident where I was at fault. No damage to my vehicle, damage to other vehicle only. First year insuring through Hartford, my premium was $1,092. Second year premium same vehicle $1,270 (don't know why it increased) and now after the accident my premium went up to $2,867. I also inquired as to how long the sentence is on the raise in premiums, and was told three years. When you hear the words "traffic accident" the word accident should have some bearing.

Why should someone be punished so severely for having an accident? If you see the Hartford's TV advertisement (which is affiliated with the AARP who are helping drivers over 50 years old) they guarantee that you won't be dropped after an accident. Well with raises in premiums like this they might as well drop you 'cause, who can afford to stay? Apparently they won't drop you, but you will be forced to cancel and seek another company. Beware!!!

As a senior citizen, I would not recommend the Hartford for auto insurance. God forbid you ever get in an accident you can be sure your rates will more than double with Hartford. They did for me. The AARP should consider re-evaluating the Hartford as a company they recommend to their senior membership. After my experience, doesn't appear the Hartford is looking out for seniors citizens, whom most of us are on a fixed income. There are other Companies out there that offer accident forgiveness. I would consider one of them. I hope this is helpful!

I haven't used the Hartford personally, but my landlord used this insurance when the house I rented caught fire due to faulty wiring/ rodent damage to the electric lines. Despite having no fault in the incident, as per the official fire department report and arson investigation, the Hartford still tried to recover the damages from me, first through one collections agency, then another when the first realized the debt was not valid. I had to go through a huge process of recovering the police report and disputing the validity of the debt they tried to collect several times. If I hadn't paid close attention to the processes of this insurance investigation, that was not even on my own insurance, the Hartford would have destroyed my credit and life to balance their sheets. Evil company. Don't do business with them.

I had Hartford automobile insurance for 10 years. Back in 2014, I had a car accident with another driver who had Geico insurance. It was determined thru arbitration that is was 100% NOT AT FAULT. After my yearly policy was up with Hartford, they increased my new policy $600 more. They claimed it had nothing to do with the accident but other non incident issues. This year, they increased my new policy another $200. I never called to inquire because I didn't want to hear anymore lame excuses.

It's obvious that Hartford will consider you a high risk if you have any type of incident or accident whether at fault or not. They can't drop you because they state you're "insured for life". But what they can do is force you to leave. I have left Hartford and switched to GEICO. I have the same policy I had with Hartford for $800 less a year. Funny, The accident a had was with a driver who had GEICO. Yet GEICO is willing to give me a policy so much cheaper than Hartford. So for anyone who has Hartford, I wish you luck.

This was bait and switch insurance. The first year was lower than any other company but in the 2nd year, they raised our bill by almost 100% because they said we live in Florida and we are in a high-risk pool. Even canceling has required five phone calls, and they kept sending bills so I am still on the phone with them. The last person, who has me on hold now, figured out that the problem really was that they added my non-licensed 17 year old to the policy and that is why they raised our rates by $170 a month. So one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing. How can they add a person to the policy, raise the rate and not check with us? Not a trustworthy company.

I had a small fender bender last year in rush hour traffic on the freeway. The other party informed our insurance company (Hartford) and we were sent a letter saying that fault was 50/50 because we were in rush hour traffic. We were never again notified about the claim. We weren't asked for pictures, nothing. When my mom switched banks over a year later, she called to inform them of the change and to let them know that the bank account that they were withdrawing from was closed and attempted to give them new bank information. The lady was extremely rude and refused to accept the new information, saying they need to continue to withdraw from the closed account and that she should have notified them before she closed the account (like she knew that) and that if they withdraw from the closed account "sometimes the bank will pay that money". How shady!! So when they withdrew from the closed account, they got no money and dropped us!!

When my mom called to ask why they dropped us, they told us it was because of a missed payment and then over a year after the fender bender, decided to tell us that they paid the guy 3000 dollars for the claim!! And supposedly it was 50/50 fault, we didn't get a dime... not even a courtesy call letting us know they were settling the claim and paying out! They didn't even let us defend ourselves! They didn't ask for pictures, info, nothing!! They just paid this dude from our policy without even notifying us. They then decided to deny everyone in our family coverage. This insurance company is a waste of time and really not worth having. What's the point of having an insurance company that's not on your side?!

Bought a policy, paid their premiums and then they billed us for additional charges after the policy period had ended!! It's buried in their policies, so BUYER BEWARE!!! This was a business policy, I can imagine what they do to the consumers!!! Find someone else.

My husband had car insurance with the Hartford Auto. We paid on time. I called to make arrangements to paid my September bill by the 9 and was told it was due by the September 1. Didn't get a letter or anything. And was to the insurance had cancel. Suppose to get a grace period. This is the worst insurance company. Ever.

Straight to the point - the Hartford insurance is terrible. They show on the commercial that they won't go up on your insurance even if it's your fault for the first time. Well I join them and paid for the whole year and someone split the top on my convertible. And I called them and the girls showed me that they wouldn't go up on my insurance because that one wasn't my fault. Well Lo and behold it took them 6 months to finally fix the split in my top then when I went to renew my insurance they went up $50. And on top of that the people that they sent me to didn't even fix the top right. They gave me a new top but it only go down halfway. It doesn't even go down all the way.

I call the Hartford time and time again and left a message for the person that was supposed to be helping me and she never called me back. So I gave up and trying to call her again and I just deal with my car not putting my top down all the way. A co-worker went through the same thing with them. She said they just won't call her back. So we both saying we're not going to renew anymore. We rather go somewhere else and pay more money and get your business done right than to deal with these people. Because I will love to take my car back and make them fix my top right but I can't get any help from the insurance people to help me with that and if so I don't want to take another 6 months. And that's all I have to say about them. They are terrible and they need to get that commercial off the TV with them lies!!!

My fiancee's SUV was keyed outside of our house and we have had problems with our neighbors. So we call the police, filed a report and found it was the neighbor's daughter that did it by admission of guilt to the officer. So we call The Hartford, they say, "Yeah we got you guys because it's criminal damage. It falls under your policy to where we waive the deductible." Me and my fiancee trusted them and they referred us to an auto body shop to get the SUV fixed. Then we find out they didn't cover the deductible after we were told they would cover it due to criminal damage.

So overall we call them and they state someone gave us the wrong information and we have to pay the deductible, after I stated to them "You guys need to listen to that phone call cause by FDCPA regulations all calls are recorded to show what was said." All in all they did nothing to help us. Just take the money, and I'm waiting to see if my insurance gets cancelled unexpectedly like everyone else but we are in the process with a new insurance company.

Having been with the Hartford for 9 years I was surprised to find my coverage was terminated with the excuse that I missed a payment. As it turned out in reviewing my account I had actually made the payment, it was deducted from my bank account only to be reversed and the check mailed back to me after The Hartford had to pay Medical pay for a auto accident I was involved in that was no fault of my own. I was sitting at a light and was rear-ended by a teenage driver. BE AWARE!! This is a very unethical company and will not look out for you. They only want your money. If you file a claim be ready to have your coverage terminated. Now that I have read the reviews here I am no longer surprised by their behavior and I only want to let people know so you do not have to endure the grief of the rest of us and AVOID this horrible company.

On August 27, 2015 I was involved in an automobile accident where I was underway on a separated roadway at 5 mph and a young woman made a u-turn from the other side of the road at an increased speed and crashed into me. In Florida, most u-turns are automatically at fault, however I was found to be at fault. I contacted The Hartford Auto Insurance and filed a claim. An underage passenger in the other vehicle filed a $100,000 claim for bodily injury through Morgan and Morgan to my insurance company. I told my representative that I did not believe that I was at fault and also that the 15 yr. old's mother had told him to stay put at the accident site to obtain the police report. I later informed The Hartford that the mother was a former insurance adjuster.

After this I called several times to request the status of the $100,000 claim. I was treated rudely by the claims representative, who said they did not personally investigate the accident, but followed a protocol, but she believed since she was a mother that the young man had incurred trauma. I asked that The Hartford keep me informed of the settlement of this claim, which they did not. The last time I had heard from them was February 2015.

This claim was settled in August 2016, the injured young man's parents received $20,000, for nothing. The doctors were friends of the young man's parents. The young man's MRI showed very minor issues which I claimed were already in existence prior to the accident since he was very active in all sports. He was shooting "fake hoops" around the parking lot waiting for the accident report, as he had been requested to do when he called his mother for a ride home. No one in either vehicle claimed any injuries when asked several times by the police. Please beware The Hartford Auto Insurance. They do not conduct an investigation on their own and their claims representatives are rude, unhelpful and will not provide you with updates.

I am the personal representative for my late uncle's estate. I contacted Hartford in March 2016 to inform them of his death. He was due a $700 refund on his account. I have contacted the Hartford at least several times a month and each time they assure me the check is on the way. Then they sent me a letter telling me they have been trying to contact me regarding this account. I am very frustrated!!! and feeling like they are just leading me on. So beware!!!

I was fully stopped for a red light when someone hit into my car smashing my back door. The person who hit me crossed over the double line to pass a double park car on her side of the street. I called my insurance company not sure if I wanted to make a claim but did begin to pursue. The insurance co. immediately told me to take my car to a collision place. I went. Got there was told that papers weren't faxed. Went back the next day and the collision person said they were busy that it was best for me to come back. I am disabled. It was 90-degree weather. I called the insurance co. back only to be told I had a different agent. I was given 2 different agents, besides the different person who wanted me to get a accident quote from the collision dealer I actually given 5 different names. They mailed me papers. I decided to just settle it out of the insurance because the person who hit my car said they would pay the collision person.

I brought my car the person paid but now I found they did cheap labor. My car not fixed right. I did take my own pictures before the accident but the insurance company was not helpful to me at all. One man actually told me, "You don't have to worry about the other company paying that is why you have no fault. It is no one's fault. You have the coverage."

It didn't matter to Hartford but it did to me because I was not a moving car. I was totally stopped so why should I have to pay a deductible so now with no help from my insurance company and a car that was fixed at a shoddy place my car not fixed right still needs a new door and it will end up costing me the lowest rate I got was $875.00 that was rec. and they promised a new door panel. The people who fixed my car gave me a door panel that had peeled paint buffed and painted over it. I'm aggravated Hartford does nothing to help their clients not even an apology for their outright rudeness and misinformation they gave me. I hope to switch out of Hartford soon.

We were in a pile-up accident July 2016. The Hartford has been our insurance for 30 yrs. When we called them they were worse than being in the accident. We went 10 days without a rental car (can you imagine we had to keep driving our totaled car) because we had to fight the Hartford to get a rental, as in the Hartford Claims Adjuster told us ten 10 days after the accident we were all set to pick up a rental but when we got to the rental company, they told us no authorization so NO CAR. When we called the Hartford Claims Center for rental car help on a Saturday they told us why we had to keep driving a totaled car "Our offices don't open till Monday cb." The sheer egregiousness didn't stop - they switched adjusters without notifying us. They told us that we had to file through other parties insurances. Our insurance broker has been apologizing to us but, c'mon man.

My mother insured KIA Spectra 2007. They told her that The payment will $175. Later one day they send us papers saying, "Your monthly payments changes because accident that happened". We wonder and call them back. They just Literally changed the payment without reason. We never had Accident with the car. This is disrespectful company. I would have banned the Managers and who ever build it. The agents are rude and disrespectful. I have been on hold on the phone more than 30. We call them back they said, "We gonna transfer to your agent". That agent never answers nor call us back. This is sad how people trusting this and they betraying people. I would've rate -5.

I called to make a payment and to inquire about a shopping cart hitting my car. Never filling a "claim" only to find out that I had been cancelled. The rep stated that I just needed to fill out a form and fax it back so I did. When I called back the rep started probing me for questions about the shopping cart hitting my car. I said I will talk with the claims dept if I need too! Made another call to the Hartford only to find out that they will not reinstate my ins because my car was hit by a shopping cart. Wow... I never even filed a claim. She said this is to protect them just in case I wanted to file a claim later and to save the company money. But I have been paying you money just for situations like this.

Are all ins. companies like this? I haven't had any tickets, accidents or anything. Just questions! Just in case you decide to get ins with this company make sure you don't have to use them for anything because they will canceled you afterwards. Just for asking questions!!!

I am writing on behalf of my uncle in north Las Vegas who does not have access to a computer. He has been with Hartford for eons, no claims, no accidents, and recently received an unconscionable rate increase of almost 40%. No reason was given other the number of accidents in the area, so the rate is jacked up because of zip code of residence. He called to complain, got less (far less) than satisfactory customer service. So he checked with other companies and found a savings of $576 a year with USAA, which is an excellent company. Obviously when he called Hartford to cancel, they didn't much care. From what I've read on this site, I'd stay away from Hartford with a 10 foot pole or longer.

We have been with the Hartford for 23 years - so you would think that they would appreciate our business!! Wrong! You are just a number to them. They canceled both our home and auto insurance with no notice to us - I heard from our bank. We always pay the full amount due in advance and have had very few claims over the years. We have a very high credit score. What happened - new technology. Instead of sending our bills and notices out by mail as they have always done in the past - they decided to email everything. Well, the emails did not arrive due to technical difficulties with the server we use. So they just canceled us.

When I found out what had happened, and offered to pay the amount in full on the spot, we were treated like dirt. We were told to find other insurance - they had no sympathy whatsoever for our situation. We did not know for weeks that we were driving around with no auto insurance and that our house was uninsured. We will never trust that company again. We found immediate and friendly service with Progressive. We had also found State Farm to be good.

They lure you in with 50+ premium discount deal then increase your premium few weeks into the policy. They quoted me $1450 for 2 cars which I thought was very reasonable. Then they went more than tripled my premium to $4558 because they claim there was a person living in my house who had a permanent address. I told them they don't live there and they said I had to prove it.

WHAT? How do I prove someone DOES NOT live in my own house? They didn't make sense so I wanted to cancel my policy. But they said they can only refund $450. WHAT? So that's $1000 for 2 month coverage? THEY RIPPED ME OFF. So I am suing them. In conclusion, the customer reps were rude, unprofessional and all they wanted to do was get more money out of me. So buyers beware, they will do and say anything to get you to pay and bleed you dry. Avoid hartford at all cost! Run like hell when you hear that name... Hartford. They are rip off company and they don't care how they do it. You have been warned!!!

I can 100% relate to all the contributors on this site related to Hartford Insurance Company! They are dishonest deceitful and unethical. They claim to have the best policy on the market and charge the premium to match it. The truth is they do not have the best policy on the market and their customer service is non existent, where their staff members prefer to argue than resolve concerns or issues!

Today 27th April I learned that Hartford canceled my policy on the 22nd April without prior notification. In fact from the day I obtained the original quote on their dysfunctional website, (Which is not user friendly) it has been a disaster. I have tried numerous times to set up Eazipay on the website. Won't let you do it. I have informed them several times. Could not even e-sign my policy documents. They said they were having issues with their website! I have to pay online with my credit card or ring in to pay. I have a number of payments that are collected from my card every month by institutions like clockwork, not Hartford.

We were involved in an accident on the 31st March, on Interstate 4 Orlando. It is a stop start scenario day in day out where the traffic comes to a halt for no apparent reason. This happened to us and it was an elderly lady who stopped dead in front of us. We had nowhere to go. Obviously we are deemed at fault which is fair enough. The Police stopped and suggested we swap information but the lady wanted them to make a determination. The damage was minimal. Left side of the fender popped off the clips. No other damage.

The officer found me at fault as we went into the back of her. Not unexpected, but did not write me a ticket as it is a notorious piece of carriageway. In fact the same thing happened 2 minutes later a little further up but in eyesight while with the officer, the elderly lady was indecisive and could not even rejoin the carriageway. The officer had to assist her to get back on the carriageway. We were not given any information on the lady. I tried to inform Hartford numerous times and found myself on hold for up to 45 minutes no answer. I am a Realtor so in and out of meetings.

We received a letter from Enterprise Rent A Car a couple of days ago saying they believe I am at fault and this is the first information I have related to the accident, so I contacted Hartford again today and spent an hour before they answered my call. I told the representative I could not find my policy online as I was trying to notify them about the accident. She said "Your policy was canceled 22nd April for non payment of the installment." I said "I did not know anything about them canceling the policy." Unbeknown to me they changed the premium and collection date. At no point was I notified about either.

The representative said "You can reinstate the policy then deal with the claim." She put me through to customer services to someone rude and nonchalant. I have never missed a payment on the policy. She said "We cannot reinstate the policy for the missed premium." I said "Put me through to your Supervisor." I got the same thing. So I have asked to speak to someone from their executive department. I am told I will hear from them within 48 hours. At this stage I am stunned by their behavior, leaving me without Insurance while my Wife was out with the vehicle! Disgraceful.

After reading all the reviews here I can see I am not alone and indeed there appears to be a history and pattern of the same behavior, shocking company and customer service. The truth is they did not renew because of the accident and then stating they canceled my policy because I missed one premium by 2 weeks though they did not inform me of anything. They said they sent an email. I must have seen it, so effectively calling me a liar. I asked "If you had notified me A) You had increased my premium from $147 to $160 do you not think I would have called to ask why? B) Further if you sent me an email to say I had missed a premium and you were going to cancel my policy I would not have called to pay my premium before cancellation?" This is a joke as are the Hartford.

I am going to sue them for negligence and discrimination. They know what they are doing but they think we are all idiots who have no clue. Honesty it seems is not the best policy. I could have just not said anything about the accident, reinstated the policy as offered by the first representative, then informed them of the accident later! Complete BS. HORRID COMPANY, HORRID PEOPLE, HORRID POLICY.

Initial estimate for a car involved in an accident in Trinidad Colorado overlooked obvious damage to the hood and windshield from flying debris. After the estimate and repair and two subsequent visits to the repair shop the windshield was not repaired and I was informed by a broom pushing employee that the Hartford estimate did not include the windshield replacement because they were "told" to repair everything underneath. After two hundred miles or so miles and having problems with Enterprise rental car (no drop off location) in Trinidad, I called the Hartford Company seven times to reach "Josh" and the CSR could not locate him or find his name listed at Hartford. I did manage to reach voice mail and "Josh" called me back. I explained my situation and the apparent lack of communication between the adjuster and repair shop, to include my frustration of course.

My conversation with "Josh" went from poor to worse after I gave him the communication failures from the beginning to the end of the whole entire customer service disaster. Apparently you cannot reach the agent in the afternoon. The CSR may or may not know who your agent is even after you give them the claim number and policy number and English as a second language is sufficient enough of a factor to interfere with normal conversation on their part. I spent time to call Hartford customer service 7 times, and Enterprise Rental car eight times to find assistance and because of my remote location and location took hours for me to find help.

I am not convinced that the platitudes and apologies can make up for a terribly bad experience with Hartford. You simply cannot put a positive shine on this shiny piece of excrement. I recommend a different insurance company with the resources and ability to help the average customer and the desire to give good customer service.

Hartford - Auto Company Profile