Hartford - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The AARP Hartford program is advertised as not raising your rate for an accident. FALSE ADVERTISING!!! I had caused some damage to my vehicle and just found out my car insurance went up 30% for the renewal!! This is usurious!! Stay away from this company!!! Additionally I tried to place my homeowners insurance with the Hartford. The idiot agent refused to sell large enough coverage to actually insure my home. They are a horrible company to do business with.

We paid monthly through our account via auto pay. Our account was compromised by scammer at gas pump, therefore we were sent new cards. Unknown to us a payment was not paid. Hartford made no timely effort to notify us that payment was not made. We were notified August 1st. for a June payment. When we called to rectify situation, we were told we were cancelled. We unknowingly went one month without insurance. If an accident had occurred during that month we would have sued them, because we could have proven there was very poor effort of notification to us. That is a weird way to run a business.

I was hit at a stop light by a 90 year old driver and caused a 4 car pileup. The old man had this company and after the claim was filed they said to get estimates on the work my car needed, it came up to $4500. They said they were only covering $3100 and that they needed the shop to send them the photos. They did and refuse to cover it after they told me to get it done. Now that it has been repaired they say they needed to see it. Ryan ** and Alyssa ** are liars. I hope to God one of their clients don't hit you or they will do the same to you.

I recently got a letter from them saying my umbrella policy would not be renewed. They gave 4 claims in the last 5 years, but in none of those claims was the accident my fault. Three of them was where I was not even driving my car, parked, or was sitting in it with the engine turned off. On the fourth one, there was no damage to either car, so no claim was ever processed, but they still counted that against me. I brought that up with a representative, but they could not explain why I was treated so unfairly. Their remark was "that's our underwriter department." So that's why I am discontinuing my business relationship with them.

I was hit by someone with The Hartford policy. Not surprising the other driver lied and said it wasn't his fault. My main issue was the adjuster for Hartford who continuously lied to me. She told me that they were trying to determine liability and took statements and my evidence from the accident and then told me the only considered was his statement. I went through the unpleasantness of giving a statement and getting evidence proving that their client was at fault which she said would be considered and then told me only his statement determined their decision about liability. Do Not Trust These People.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

I was notified by my bank that our monthly car insurance rate had increased by $26.00 for no reason except that the State of Kansas had revalued the accident rates due to texting and inattentive driving caused by OTHER drivers not by my husband or myself!

I have been a Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance customer through AARP for 5 years. Even I did not file any claims for the first 4 years, my premiums increased every year. This year, my new Lexus was damaged in a hailstorm. Hartford made it very difficult to take the vehicle back to the dealership for repair. Instead, they wanted me to take it to one of their preferred vendors which had poor reviews regarding paint matching. I paid premiums for insurance on a Lexus and therefore thought it only fair to have it repaired by a Lexus dealership.

I received very little cooperation from Hartford and eventually, 7 adjustment checks later was able to get the vehicle fixed, mainly due to the tenacity and cooperation of the Lexus dealership. The repair took almost 3 months because of the back and forth between Hartford and the dealership! I had a crack in the windshield that Hartford refused to repair, saying it could not have been caused by the hailstorm. The crack was not there before the storm but was there after the storm. I had to pay out of pocket to have the chip patched. I have filed a complaint with AARP and the Texas Department of Insurance and will be dropping Hartford as my insurance provider.

I'm a 64 years old woman, retired and excellent driver, no accidents, no tickets with excellent credit. The Hartford increase my premium to $361 more a year. When call to find reason the Hartford employee told me "Because there was many accidents in AZ". Because for my coming renewal I wanted to give up certain extra plans that I have as forgiveness plan, increased my deductible, etc. He told me I can't change anything and if I'm not happy to look for another insurance. Now I'm in the stress to look for another insurance.

I have no tickets or accidents on my record. As Hartford advertised, I saved money when I first joined one year ago. Now they just raised my rates and it was hardly worth changing insurance. Disappointed.

They were quick. Professional and fair. Filed claims with our email quick, completed by photos. Payment issued. We have rental included in our premiums.

I recently was rear ended. I called on Fri as they were closed Thurs at time of accident. The guy gave me a claim # & said to use that if I need to go see Dr. He said an adjuster would be contacting me via email. Never did. Then I got a call Mon but missed it. I called back left another message. She called back again this am Tues while I was getting checked out to say I don't vehicle coverage which I knew. Plus that claim # the guy gave me isn't valid as I don't have medical coverage???? So now I have a huge Hospital Bill & no help. Adjuster calls back & says she left message for other co to call her back with a new claim #. So here it is Tuesday I have horrible headaches & discomfort. But I can call the ladies in co directly for info. What exactly am I paying this co for? Think it's time for a change. Hartford is the worst I've ever dealt with.

I was reporting an accident where I was obviously not at fault. The 94-year-old man pulled out of a gas station right into my car. When I called Hartford to file a claim, the woman I spoke to was extremely rude and said that I was partially liable because I didn't see him coming from my rear. She would not listen to my explanation of what happened. I had to file a police report and go back to take photos. There was even a witness who supported my claim. Geico, my insurance, is fighting them in arbitration, but in the meantime, I had to pay the $500 deductible to get the damage fixed on my car. Maybe someday I will be reimbursed, but I can't tell you how much stress this caused me because the Hartford twisted my words. My advice to you, aside from not using Hartford, is to kick up such a fuss at someone who hits you from behind. The police will have to be called, even if it happened in a parking lot.

In September of 2014 I was working on my 2006 Chevrolet Crew cab and needed to move it back a little. I had a Leer Shell on the back of the truck. I left the glass rear cover up and it caught on a strap and twisted the glass and it shattered. I figured it might be covered under comprehensive coverage. I called The Hartford and told them what had happened and asked if it was covered. After checking they said yes. I asked if I filed a claim would that cause my rates to go up. They said no. I filed a claim for $371.19. They paid $82.00.

Last year I wanted to get some rate comparisons with other companies. One of the questions was if you had any accidents or violations in the last three years. I replied no. After checking, one of the companies called me back and said that I had an accident claim in September of 2014. After thinking about it and doing some research I realized that The Hartford had filed my claim as an accident and not comprehensive. I was told by the other insurance company to call The Hartford and see if they would change it from an accident claim to a comprehensive claim. I called and explained the situation to The Hartford, but they would not change it.

As a result my insurance rate quotes with other companies are $500.00 higher for 6 months than what they should be because they have to go by the accident claim. Other companies have told me this should have been a comprehensive claim. This is very unfair as far as I am concerned. They know that you can not change or do anything about it. They will do anything to raise your rates. I would not recommend them at all.

On a busy Saturday evening in metro Atlanta, a vehicle was driving erratic on I-85 exiting on Sugarloaf PKWY. The vehicle came up speeding from behind and jumped in front of me and slammed on brakes. I avoided the accident and called 911 from my car Bluetooth. As I'm reporting what's going on to the dispatcher the vehicle sped up and slammed on the brakes. At first I thought the driver was just drunk and driving erratic but it was obvious he was trying to stage an accident. While trying to keep my distance and avoid someone colliding into me while merging onto N. Brown Rd the driver sped up as if he was going to join N. Brown Rd since no cars was at the intersection but it had other plans... slammed on brakes and I couldn't avoid hitting him and I rear ended him.

The driver did not exit the vehicle nor check his damages. He was driving an older Mercedes and it was clear he wanted Bodily Injury payout and some quick cash for the damages. It was obvious this was a case of "Swoop & squat". My newer Infiniti bumper was cracked and just paint from my vehicle on his rear bumper. The 911 dispatcher was still on the line when the accident occurred so she dispatched an officer immediately. After telling the officer my story he gave me a citation for "following too closely" because of the type of accident. The officer instructed me to obtain the 911 call and dispute the ticket.

When the accident report became available I contacted his insurance carrier (The Hartford) and I explained the situation to the Claims rep CARLOS ** in TX and he instructed me to forward the 911 call so it can be reviewed. I informed him his customer was committing insurance FRAUD and he said, "IT'S MY DUTY TO BE ON MY INSURED SIDE AND PROTECT THEM!" So I said maybe after he review the tape his feelings will change. WRONG!!! Never received a call or email from CARLOS **. I even contacted his supervisor REBECCA ** in TX and she never reached back out to me. So basically if you want to commit fraud and have a company support you... go to THE HARTFORD!!!

I have had this company since 2009. Over the years it gets worst and worst. I recently move to SC. I tried to update my new address. I had to speak to 5 or 6 different people and they all had a different version on the story. Do you not take the time to train your employees? I had the first one say to me he had to run a credit report. I said what if I say NO. He said, "You will have to find another insurance company." One of my benefits is a lifetime lack to cancel the policy. I asked him, "Why are you threatening me."

In the end the spiteful little dude put the wrong address on the NEW POLICY he just wrote - interesting, which cost me ALL the loss of my liability insurance because he then raised the policy almost 600.00 dollars. So all the coverage came off the policy. (That would be the bodily liability 100,000, 300,000, 100,000.) Now we are at 25,000! We are elders and we make less and less money (forget about getting all the benefits we worked hard for in this life - it's like pulling teeth to get the 401, or all the stupid pensions that are worthless, etc.)

So my question is: WHY are we being punished to live in South Carolina? Well good luck talking to the rest of the children... "It pertains to the state as a whole." "What everybody else is doing is how they rate." That is not suppose to be our policy! We will not do business with idiots that throw you in a pool and make judgement on drivers, we do not pay for those that torment the roadway. We believe about 90% of drivers should be taken off the road. We can say that, we have been driving for almost 46 years without problems. So this policy is now screwed. As a consumer I am not happy and reading over the reviews I can see others are unhappy also.

So what is insurance? A waste of people's money and 'legal' organized crime with a bunch of babble employees who do not know their ** from their elbow. I also like the big discounts, think I hit it on the head when he said you get a discount for dual airbags. Great what is that $2.00 for the year. PLEASE. They cannot mention this in the endorsements. I also like the fact they thought my vehicles were registered in AZ and we moved to Colorado for two and a half years. Do they think my cars can drive themselves? Guess these children think they can!!! Of course the consumer is at fault. "Why didn't you notify us." Hello why are you sending the statements to the right address with the yearly premium due? Why is the customers doing your job!!!

What this government allowed and what big corporation did will haunt them all the days of their lives; laid off all the elders because of fear. In their big decision, these children haven't a clue how to make money. Which we learned from our elders. May God bless each and everyone the merits they so deserve. Because for disobedience comes punishment not for one but for ALL. Guess that's the point, just look around. Will hunt for another insurance company that is educated, knows how to be fair, knows what the consumers wants. That's how you make money and have God's blessings. If none is to be had, which looks like the top runner today, will drop from society...

I was hit by somebody who has Hartford insurance. All around, it has been a really difficult insurance company to work with. I can rarely get through to the claims adjuster, they are rude and difficult to work with, and it has been nearly 2 months since the incident and I have yet to been able to have my vehicle repaired. I'm not sure how their rates are, but for the amount of hassle working with them I would not recommend them to anybody. If you have to make a claim, you will quickly find out where and how they are cutting corners to give you a better rate and regret your decision to have chosen this company in the first place.

This company promised to honor my claim against their insured. I cannot begin to tell you what a horrible chain of unexplained unfortunate events I have had since October 9, 2016. First of all the driver immediately admitted fault. They took 2 months to come to look at my car. It took them until December 22, 2016 to make any kind of decision to pay for my injury and decide the disposition of the total loss. It turns out the car was not exactly totalled, but they said the repairs exceeded the value of the vehicle. They never accepted any liability for the engine or parts under the hood. I have been strapped with the cost of repairing a tampered with engine which either occurred at their assessment site or some other location. I rented a car which mysteriously got towed.

Someone put antifreeze in the oil. Someone left the seals out of my oil filter causing major spills under the hood and causing damage to my engine. They are taking no responsibility for me having to rent a car or use Lyft even after they said they would pay for the Lyfts. They paid out the damages to the car in two separate payments and the final one they sent to a closed bank account where the "ENTIRE" electronic payment was eaten up my hacker’s overdraft fees. They were faxed the correct bank information prior to the payment by the bank manager of the correct bank. They replaced the money only after the feds told me to tell them that they had committed banking fraud. At the time the bank deposit hit, my insurance company, which I cancelled, since they wouldn't help me, dipped into the same account for a payment due (which wasn't due since I cancelled them) of $371.00!

How would they know the date of the deposit unless there was some sort of collusion between the two companies? On the heels of that they are saying that since I am an old woman on Medicare, they won't pay me a cent for bodily injury until Medicare says ok. Medicare didn't pay my hospital bill and told them over and over. They want a letter proving Medicare has no lien. As a matter of fact, they paid none of my medicals so I couldn't get treated for a concussion! Now this is not my first accident by a long shot. Somehow they seem to seek me out. I know, however, that there is a work around for that Medicare business. No other company in the USA has done this and they all say there is a formula that you apply to the bills on the itemized statement which is accepted by the Medicare people. That estimate is available from the hospital billing department. Hartford claims is delaying me unnecessarily.

They tampered with my bank account (took $1000 + until ACH said they should replace the money and they did), they tampered with my car, they had my rental towed, I was robbed of $500 at the correct bank, I was robbed by a pickpocket of $200, I was robbed of my cell phone twice. I was robbed of my dental partial, the back door of the car mysteriously won't close properly, someone placed the name of the previous owner on my guarantee for the new replacement tires after the accident, they took the rental after a week and that didn't give me enough time to get another vehicle. They paid me less than the car was worth because I am a OLDER WOMAN, WHO HAS A DISABILITY!

THEY ARE THIEVES and it appears that they hire street thieves because too much happened in the aftermath of this incident. Watch out for them. Doesn't matter how old your car is, have a right to have a replacement. Doesn't matter how many claims you have had, you have a right to be treated with dignity. Strebel and her goons have made a fool of me, causing me to rent a car through the entire holiday and leaving me without a vehicle in my 60s. Not only that, they investigated me. But who is investigating them? Look at all of these complaints! But it all comes back.

When I signed up with The Hartford for auto and renters insurance (recommended by AARP), I was quoted a certain premium amount for each. I subsequently received a bill from The Hartford for premium amounts higher than originally quoted. I called and was told by a Hartford billing department employee the monthly amounts I was supposed to be paying and where to send the money. Months later, I get a bill for higher monthly amounts (not a renewal – this is within the yearly policy period). I called The Hartford again and was told I wasn't paying the right amounts. Mike with The Hartford says he doesn't know why I was told the wrong amounts by the previous Hartford billing department employee. The company has done this to me twice now. I wonder if this is their standard practice, because they must be making a lot of money off of the customers who just pay these arbitrary bills without questioning them. AARP members beware!

First I want to say that in 2015 I got hit by someone who had no insurance - total lost of my Lexus (I was at NO FAULT). Contacted Hartford Ins and got an amazing service, fast and courteous responses. Got the check for my car actual value and was very fair, no complaints. Note: We have two cars insured and both of us have a 100% clean driving record. Now PREMIUM: last year we had an increase of 37% for the premium and this year another 38% increase. A 71% increase in 2 years - reasons they gave us: flooding and hurricane in SC. That's $770 per year more than 2015 (we pay full for one year). Currently checking with other insurances and most of them don't have this level of increase in their premiums. AARP may want to double check them as their provider of choice.

Beats the cost of other insurance companies. Though I have never had a claim, I find the customer service rep. friendly and helpful. I have cost compared over the years on both home on auto and find Hartford the least costly.

My parked vehicle was side-swiped by an advanced age driver. There were four witnesses that saw this happen and the driver immediately admitted fault. Only about 1k in damage, mostly parts. Should have be a quick and simple process but it was NOT. It took four days to get them to take my claim. It took them two more days to text me a link to an app to take pictures of the damage for them. Meanwhile, I am driving around without a side mirror and that seems acceptable to them? Promises to contact me were never met, there were significant delays and they ultimately gave me a ridiculous low ball estimate where the listed replacement parts don't even match my vehicle. Despite my calls and emails, I can't get a returned call now. The claims reps are downright rude. I don't know how this company is still in business. At this point my only option is to go to the expense of getting an attorney.

I am writing this review because I am very displeased with the Hartford Insurance Company. The Hartford more than doubled my insurance premium on my vehicle after I was involved in a small parking lot accident where I was at fault. No damage to my vehicle, damage to other vehicle only. First year insuring through Hartford, my premium was $1,092. Second year premium same vehicle $1,270 (don't know why it increased) and now after the accident my premium went up to $2,867. I also inquired as to how long the sentence is on the raise in premiums, and was told three years. When you hear the words "traffic accident" the word accident should have some bearing.

Why should someone be punished so severely for having an accident? If you see the Hartford's TV advertisement (which is affiliated with the AARP who are helping drivers over 50 years old) they guarantee that you won't be dropped after an accident. Well with raises in premiums like this they might as well drop you 'cause, who can afford to stay? Apparently they won't drop you, but you will be forced to cancel and seek another company. Beware!!!

As a senior citizen, I would not recommend the Hartford for auto insurance. God forbid you ever get in an accident you can be sure your rates will more than double with Hartford. They did for me. The AARP should consider re-evaluating the Hartford as a company they recommend to their senior membership. After my experience, doesn't appear the Hartford is looking out for seniors citizens, whom most of us are on a fixed income. There are other Companies out there that offer accident forgiveness. I would consider one of them. I hope this is helpful!

I haven't used the Hartford personally, but my landlord used this insurance when the house I rented caught fire due to faulty wiring/ rodent damage to the electric lines. Despite having no fault in the incident, as per the official fire department report and arson investigation, the Hartford still tried to recover the damages from me, first through one collections agency, then another when the first realized the debt was not valid. I had to go through a huge process of recovering the police report and disputing the validity of the debt they tried to collect several times. If I hadn't paid close attention to the processes of this insurance investigation, that was not even on my own insurance, the Hartford would have destroyed my credit and life to balance their sheets. Evil company. Don't do business with them.

I had Hartford automobile insurance for 10 years. Back in 2014, I had a car accident with another driver who had Geico insurance. It was determined thru arbitration that is was 100% NOT AT FAULT. After my yearly policy was up with Hartford, they increased my new policy $600 more. They claimed it had nothing to do with the accident but other non incident issues. This year, they increased my new policy another $200. I never called to inquire because I didn't want to hear anymore lame excuses.

It's obvious that Hartford will consider you a high risk if you have any type of incident or accident whether at fault or not. They can't drop you because they state you're "insured for life". But what they can do is force you to leave. I have left Hartford and switched to GEICO. I have the same policy I had with Hartford for $800 less a year. Funny, The accident a had was with a driver who had GEICO. Yet GEICO is willing to give me a policy so much cheaper than Hartford. So for anyone who has Hartford, I wish you luck.

This was bait and switch insurance. The first year was lower than any other company but in the 2nd year, they raised our bill by almost 100% because they said we live in Florida and we are in a high-risk pool. Even canceling has required five phone calls, and they kept sending bills so I am still on the phone with them. The last person, who has me on hold now, figured out that the problem really was that they added my non-licensed 17 year old to the policy and that is why they raised our rates by $170 a month. So one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing. How can they add a person to the policy, raise the rate and not check with us? Not a trustworthy company.

I had a small fender bender last year in rush hour traffic on the freeway. The other party informed our insurance company (Hartford) and we were sent a letter saying that fault was 50/50 because we were in rush hour traffic. We were never again notified about the claim. We weren't asked for pictures, nothing. When my mom switched banks over a year later, she called to inform them of the change and to let them know that the bank account that they were withdrawing from was closed and attempted to give them new bank information. The lady was extremely rude and refused to accept the new information, saying they need to continue to withdraw from the closed account and that she should have notified them before she closed the account (like she knew that) and that if they withdraw from the closed account "sometimes the bank will pay that money". How shady!! So when they withdrew from the closed account, they got no money and dropped us!!

When my mom called to ask why they dropped us, they told us it was because of a missed payment and then over a year after the fender bender, decided to tell us that they paid the guy 3000 dollars for the claim!! And supposedly it was 50/50 fault, we didn't get a dime... not even a courtesy call letting us know they were settling the claim and paying out! They didn't even let us defend ourselves! They didn't ask for pictures, info, nothing!! They just paid this dude from our policy without even notifying us. They then decided to deny everyone in our family coverage. This insurance company is a waste of time and really not worth having. What's the point of having an insurance company that's not on your side?!

Bought a policy, paid their premiums and then they billed us for additional charges after the policy period had ended!! It's buried in their policies, so BUYER BEWARE!!! This was a business policy, I can imagine what they do to the consumers!!! Find someone else.

My husband had car insurance with the Hartford Auto. We paid on time. I called to make arrangements to paid my September bill by the 9 and was told it was due by the September 1. Didn't get a letter or anything. And was to the insurance had cancel. Suppose to get a grace period. This is the worst insurance company. Ever.

Straight to the point - the Hartford insurance is terrible. They show on the commercial that they won't go up on your insurance even if it's your fault for the first time. Well I join them and paid for the whole year and someone split the top on my convertible. And I called them and the girls showed me that they wouldn't go up on my insurance because that one wasn't my fault. Well Lo and behold it took them 6 months to finally fix the split in my top then when I went to renew my insurance they went up $50. And on top of that the people that they sent me to didn't even fix the top right. They gave me a new top but it only go down halfway. It doesn't even go down all the way.

I call the Hartford time and time again and left a message for the person that was supposed to be helping me and she never called me back. So I gave up and trying to call her again and I just deal with my car not putting my top down all the way. A co-worker went through the same thing with them. She said they just won't call her back. So we both saying we're not going to renew anymore. We rather go somewhere else and pay more money and get your business done right than to deal with these people. Because I will love to take my car back and make them fix my top right but I can't get any help from the insurance people to help me with that and if so I don't want to take another 6 months. And that's all I have to say about them. They are terrible and they need to get that commercial off the TV with them lies!!!

My fiancee's SUV was keyed outside of our house and we have had problems with our neighbors. So we call the police, filed a report and found it was the neighbor's daughter that did it by admission of guilt to the officer. So we call The Hartford, they say, "Yeah we got you guys because it's criminal damage. It falls under your policy to where we waive the deductible." Me and my fiancee trusted them and they referred us to an auto body shop to get the SUV fixed. Then we find out they didn't cover the deductible after we were told they would cover it due to criminal damage.

So overall we call them and they state someone gave us the wrong information and we have to pay the deductible, after I stated to them "You guys need to listen to that phone call cause by FDCPA regulations all calls are recorded to show what was said." All in all they did nothing to help us. Just take the money, and I'm waiting to see if my insurance gets cancelled unexpectedly like everyone else but we are in the process with a new insurance company.

Hartford - Auto Company Profile