Compare Quotes and Save

Hartford - Auto
2.27/5
Based on 172 reviews that contain star ratings

Hartford - Auto

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

248 Hartford - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have had three claims with the Hartford insurance company, I'm 53 yrs old and original bought the Hartford automobile policy through an advert from I seen in my AARP magazine. Two of the claims were not my fault, I am disabled through a serious technical spine surgeries that can be best viewed on a current Netflix documentary called 'The Bleeding Edge'. I cannot drive for longer than a 30 min period. I lived in a very rural area of Colorado while these claims occurred. I've got to hire help in my home and to drive me to and from Denver to my doctor appointments.

While I first signed up with the Hartford I made the Hartford well aware of this fact. I was assured that anyone I allowed to drive my car would be covered under my policy. I was driving a 2005 Cadillac DTS under 65,000 miles, fully loaded, lt pearl blue. Mint condition, I purchased from an estate of a 91 yr old very wealthy woman. The car was in near brand new condition inside and out.

This was to be the last automobile I ever bought, and I was taking care to share the ongoing condition of it as the woman before me had done. Within several months of transferring my old Audi to the Cadillac with the Hartford my car was STOLEN and wrecked through an airport fence. The airbags did not deploy, the car was taken early in the AM and drove back to my house, parked and left. This was detailed in a very drawn out Colo state patrol investigation, as well as county sheriff's department.

Long story short, the 16-17-year-old male I'd hired to mow my lawn and surrounding meadow had taken the car while I slept wrecked it, drove it back and took for his grandparents home where he lived. I was unaware of the youth's actions until later into the investigation. I hired a prestigious attorney known for his outstanding abilities by his peers as well as nationwide. I had to hire the attorney due to local sheriff's deputies stepping well out of bounds as well as the Colo state patrolman working with the sheriff's department.

I was never offered or gave at request any insurance information from the Guardians. I was never informed I could request monies from the family within a 90 day period. The Hartford was aware of the issues surrounding the legal situation yet sat in silence. Actually it felt more like a witch Hunt by every make involved which it was all makes I dealt with in every capacity. I literally felt strong-armed by both my insurance and local sheriff's department.

I later understood this was probably due to the fact I owned a rather large home with land inside the town, I had no large debts, no criminal history, paid taxes on several homes within the county for over 35 years including a duplex. I was responsibly insured, both auto and home, prior business. A very nice savings account. I was in a different tax bracket. I had no doubt the deputy who was on my case had wanted to purchase my home and property at a point where I was thinking of relocating permanently to Europe. I denied the deputy any response regarding selling my property. I reported feeling harassed by him and the adjusters. Thankfully I had a great attorney to lean on.

This next line is important... Right before I was set to meet these people, including the sheriff's department in a courtroom the lead deputy was fired and arrested. The next deputy involved is currently facing charges, and was arrested on route to Florida. It's worth noting that deputy is the son of the county commissioner at the time. The county commissioners overlook and are in charge of the sheriff's department. Conflict of interest? You be the judge. I currently am waiting on a settlement to be reached with the Hartford by council I hired. Suing the sheriff's department would be better done while I do not live in a corrupt county.

My struggle with the Hartford was and is, why didn't they stand beside their customer of time and take action with me, help educate me of the insurance legally available options? I do not have a HATRED of men, not at all... I've two very successful sons I raised. I did though in every aspect of this case feel I was not going to be respected by any of these men. As stated I felt ran over by EACH of them. I was able to determine how the young man obtained the keys to my car, and later my home. I had trusted him with a riding mower key that was attached to my car and house keys. He'd decided to joy ride a beautiful car with a V8.

Now, Because no motor damage was caused, 5,000$ damage to the outside of the car, light damage to the inside from debris, a vacuum would of cleaned that mess.

My car was actually totaled by an adjuster at the Hartford. Tho comps for my car on lot of reputable car dealerships came in at over 8,000-9,000$. I had paid 7,000$. No more than a thousand miles were added to the car. Still under 65,000 miles. I was gave comps for my car from vehicle salvage lots, and also from a dealership in South Dakota with five 5! Previous owners and twice the mileage. I was unaware of the comps being pulled from lots some BUY HERE PAY HERE purchase at auction, a variety of repossessed cars, cars that were involved in accidents being lightly repaired and re-sold. My son who once worked at a high-end Toyota dealership pointed out where my comps we're coming from.

He was able to obtain over 4 comps in my area, not South Dakota that were car for car comparable for sale at reputable dealerships. These comps were sent to the Hartford and I had to stay strong and dispute a variety of ruthless adjusters. When I say ruthless I do mean rude, arrogant, heavy-handed, overall a feeling of dealing with THUGS. I was fighting my health as well. A non forgive ongoing destruction of bone and much much more.

The Hartford refused to repair my car at the 5,000 quote. Stating they always go 20% over the quote for the purpose of unseen damage. Tho no damage was found by OnStar, the shop or second opinion. The only damage was cosmetic. Based off the original comps the Hartford totaled my car with blinking. By the help of others I was able to finally obtain the 8,200$ comp found by my son over two months after the damage. The Hartford ignored valid comps, using their own comps to total my car. It would of been far less expensive and better for both the Hartford and myself if my car had been repaired.

The adjuster in charge would not hold a respectful conversation with me. If I ever felt like I was treated as a woman who's being told to shut up and stay in the kitchen while the menfolk decide the outcome of my car, it would be by the Hartford. I kept a log of recorded phone calls between our interactions as I honestly felt I was being treated like trash. I couldn't say if they treated my medical condition with contempt more than me being a female who was gave good advice to fight them. Each felt equally as horrific.

Because the car was stolen, I did NOT give permission for the young man to drive my car. I ASSUMED his Guardian grandparents home or auto policy would be responsible for the damage to both my car and the fence he drove through. To my surprise the Hartford paid nearly 9,000$ to mitigate the damage due to the negligent act of this young man.

I brought up the comps on my car because if not for my son I'd never of understood where the low balled comps were coming from, I would of never know to fight for fair compensation. That in itself is outright fraud, misleading and taking advantage of someone not versed in the auto industry on any level. My car could of been repaired for 5,000$ a good, local auto body shop had gave a quote. No reason to believe the quote would be any higher than I'd been gave. I had work done to my Audi by the same shop, no unexpected charges or a shop with shady billing practices. Again a rural area where your reputation for success is only as good as your word and work.

My comps remained low (5,500-6,500) as stated while my car was totaled. I'll carry the claim on this fault of another for up to five years! The mental and emotional abuse far outweighs the money involved. I worked very hard to become a success in my field if I was unable to physically keep working. I had built up everything I had in the past 30-35 years. Everything I owned was being paid off rapidly as I'd reached the turning point towards debt free. What took place in a rural Colorado town by the Hartford and Colo state patrol, local sheriff's department stripped away everything I had worked for and am unable to start a new by re-entering the workforce.

I never thought it possible at over 50 I'd actually have to sell my home, lose my car, deplete the bulk of my savings over a car. Yet it did happen, and my insurance company did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO STAND BESIDE ME. I'M currently waiting on a settlement by suing the Hartford. The only chance I have of re bulilding a life. I've learned I'll never buy no more than the minimum insurance so I'm NOT a target. I'll never talk to any law enforcement without legal counsel no matter how tiny the situation. I've learned people are ruthless and jealousy is dangerous. There are people in positions of trust waiting to take advantage of YOUR hard work.

I do not use handicap plates any longer, I do not show my home or any other life information on social media, and most of all I've learned a lesson by fire. I hope this made sense, my cursor was moving while typing, I wrote somethings twice I see. If anyone is willing to read and understand what happened to me I'm happy. Please don't ever trust your insurance company to have your back! When the wolf's come out they come in packs. Beware and be safe wherever you are.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Hartford Insurance. This insurance company is a joke. Find a new insurance co. ASAP. After 6 yrs rates were raised 50% like others with no faults. And I had mold in my apt which was on my policy. Had to stay in a hotel & had property damage. After 2 yrs I'm still waiting on reimbursement. It's in court because they only offered me $1,500. Smart people read reviews first. Get better insurance elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Had insurance with Hartford for four years, no accidents or tickets. Last year my rates with up 30%. Now for 2019 my rates with up 50%. Called Hartford and was told that the health insurance cost went up in New Mexico?? What does this have to do with my rate hike? All insurance payout are set amounts!!! Ask if my 63rd birthday in two weeks had something do with it and of course they say no. Very disappointed with Hartford and AARP who endorses them.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have both homeowners and auto insurance through the Hartford Insurance Company. The insurance was offered by AARP and for me, a senior citizen is an excellent buy. I tried several other insurance companies and the cost, on my very limited income, was prohibitive. There is a slight increase every year, but nothing to the increase that everything else in life is costing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Absolutely the worst customer service! These people are extremely rude! They are not helpful! They are only out to mistreat people who are the victims of their clients “at fault” accidents. Pathetic is an understatement. I am so thankful I am insured by a company with utmost integrity! Horrible experience!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

NEVER notified me that insurance was not paid. NEVER notified state authorities that I was driving without insurance. After a year went by they sent a request to pay for insurance! Letter they sent me after the fact said if I didn't pay I would be uninsured= this was a year after I THOUGHT I had insurance. Placed me in extreme financial jeopardy. Admitted their mistake but said I should pay anyway! BE warned. AARP is getting kickbacks for making Hartford their preferred auto insurance provider even knowing there are legitimate complaints about incompetent service from this company. They are senior abusers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was on AARP website and since Hartford is supposed to have special deals and discounts for members, I decided to get a quote. It was double what we are paying now for same coverage. What???

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have AARP Auto Insurance since 2013. This month one of my car involved minor accident. After that I called AARP Hartford Insurance complaint and explain regarding the accident. They give me a claim number and assigned to me adjuster. After one time adjuster call me only one time and we discussed the accident and damage. Meanwhile I received the letter from other insurance company within fews denying their fault. Then I called my adjuster. Leave the message on reply. After several times I called then he pick up my call, then he told me he need to talk to other part and my wife who involved in the accident. After that me and my wife called adjuster and leave the messages, never reply up date. I never received this type of from any other insurance company in the past. I called his supervisor and leave the message, not reply yet.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I called customer service to cancel my umbrella policy attached to my auto policy. They forward me to the umbrella policy department. I am told I have to send a signed e-mail with auto policy number and indicate that I want to cancel the policy. I do this and include the date in the e-mail. I get a e-mail from them a few days later stating they can’t cancel the policy since I did not specify a cancel date in the e-mail. Had to call back several times to resolve. Typical shady/corrupt practice. Stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We were hit by one of their customers. They were some of the worst people to deal with on settling the tried to pressure us into settling before we had even finished getting medical treatment. They didn’t give us reasonable amount of time to find a replacement vehicle with only 5 days use of a rental truck. (We have horses and animals.) We lost our truck because of their customer. Low balled us on our vehicle by about 30%. We had to use our own insurance to get fair value. We were constantly lied to by the guy we were dealing with. We finally just settled just to done at about half of what an attorney told us it should be worth.

Their lack of integrity and professionalism has created more hardship for us. I belong to AARP and before this experience was going to change over to them but seeing how they conduct business I could not in any way be associated with them. I am also going to complain to AARP and ask why you associate your selves with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I totaled my vehicle and that of another driver on July 3. Because I'd never crashed before and had no clear idea of what my insurance covered, I assumed I'd have to struggle to get compensation; also I'd broken my collarbone but didn't get this checked out till weeks later. Hartford immediately arranged for towing and a rental car. Their agents promptly responded to questions about the claim and explained in very clear and detailed terms what was happening with it. They let me know when I would receive my check and it arrived in a timely fashion. When I submitted my late claim for coverage of care for my shoulder injury there were no questions about why I hadn't immediately sought care. Everyone I talked or emailed with was pleasant, direct, and helpful.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

On July 4th, 2018, I was on my way home from Ocean City when a deer full on sprinted into the side of my car while going down the highway, it destroyed the turn signal housing, fender, front and rear door. After contacting The Hartford it took them OVER A ** MONTH just to figure out what they were going to do. Instead of paying to have my car fixed, which would have been roughly about $4,000-$5,000 they decided to total my car and only give me 2,000 leaving me to pay the rest out of pocket.

I'm currently a college student and cannot afford this whatsoever. Thanks to "Trusting The Hartford" and basically robbing me of my car when the accident wasn't my fault. I've dealt with many insurance companies in the past and The Hartford is by far the worst and the biggest joke on the market today. It's currently been two months and the check for the money they said they would give me has not come yet. DON'T TRUST THE HARTFORD. THEY CAN AND WILL ** YOU OVER.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had Hartford thru AARP giving them raving reviews. Full coverage on both of my vehicles PLUS towing and rental car. I was driving my LeBaron convertible to music event. A guy cut me off with dually truck either had to go UNDER HIS TRUCK...OR make sharp right...chose right...hit large curb. My car was drivable at 15/20 mph. Got home, called Hartford. They would NOT return my call. I called and got some RUDE NON INTERESTED woman. I said I need a car to drive. "Well you own another car." "Yeah my wife's car. She drives to work. So what about rental car?? Hello, hello..." Phone went dead. Never could get my car fixed. No rental car. PROMPTLY GOT RID OF THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY. GREAT as long as you PAY THEM. WISH I COULD GIVE A MINUS 1!!! BEWARE BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Unimpressed with the claims department handling of my vehicle repairs. First off they paid a body shop that gave an estimate on my car, however I never took it to them for the repairs. This was discovered when I filed a claim for damage that occurred in a parking lot. The new shop gave a full estimate and were told the first estimate had been paid and would not be covered. Who pays a shop before the customer brings in a car? I was told I had to take my car to the first shop. Why would I take my car there if they never called me to say they had been paid... So fast forward I get that cleared up. I have the approval to go to the body shop and rental car is coverage of $50 a day, for 30 days. Hartford tries to cancel the rental early. Now my car is not complete and they have canceled the car rental at 21 days. Very dissatisfied. I just want the coverage I paid for to be honored.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Day 1 - My vehicle was hit and damaged by one of their clients. Day 1 - I called them. Their client had already notified them as well. The first person I talked to gave me the wrong extension number for the assigned claims adjuster (ACA). Had to use their phone tree to find the right person. I was told I would have to wait until they could get the police report, or I could email it to them myself to save them the trouble. Day 3 - I email the police report and pictures of the damage to the ACA. - No contact from him. Day 4 - No contact from the ACA. Day 5 - I contact the ACA and he claims he never received my email. He gives me a "generic" email address that I can send it to and they will forward it to him. I go to my "Sent Mail" folder and forward the original email I had previously sent to him (showing his correct email address) to both the generic email address and to his email address again.

Day 6 - I call the ACA since he has not bothered to respond to my email. He advises me that a person will contact me to come out and look at the vehicle and take pictures. I am not contacted. Day 7 - I email the generic email address again asking about the next step in the process. Day 8 - I am contacted by a different person, we'll call him the Auto Service Representative (ASR). He tells me, "No, a person will not be coming out." Instead I am to take my vehicle to the agreed upon auto body shop and they will work up an estimate, take pictures, and send them into Hartford. Day 8 - My vehicle is looked at by the agreed upon auto body shop. Pictures are taken, information is taken and the body shop says they will upload all the information to the Hartford.

Day 9 - The body shop calls me to confirm the information was sent, and to schedule an appointment for my car to be fixed. We schedule it for Day 17. Day 10 - I call ACA to notify of scheduled date and ask for a car rental. No answer. I leave a voicemail. Day 11 - No contact. Day 12 - I receive a late evening email from ACA telling me he has been trying to reach me by phone and that I have 10 days to contact them if I wish to pursue the matter. Day 13 - I email ACA and ask him what number he tried to contact me on since I have not received any voicemails from him, nor did either of my 2 phones record any missed calls from him. I also advise him that of course I wish to pursue the claim and I remind him of scheduled fix date and ask for car rental procedure. No response.

Day 14 - I forward my Day 13 email to ACA and the generic email, advising again that I have not been contacted and that I still wish to pursue the matter. Day 15 - Early morning... I leave a voicemail for the ACA advising of all my attempts to pursue the claim. Today is still Day 15 - 4 hours later. I am still waiting to hear from the Hateford/Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Having 4 cars with The Hartford for over 20 years. We had a $6,000.00 damage claim. They paid but the next billing cycle the rate increased by 100%! Thank god my husband is a veteran and we were able to get USAA at lower the previous rate with The Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I would not recommend Hartford insurance. They do not want to pay the claims that they are responsible for. Trying to get out of paying it by any means they can. Worst insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Three years ago I purchased liability insurance from the Hartford. My wife and I have not had any tickets or violations in over 30 years. The liability cost for two vehicles was $660 dollars for the first year. On the second year we added another vehicle that we use on the farm for about the same cost rate as the others. Then one day we received a notice that they were raising our insurance another $1,350 dollars based on one of our children being under 25 years of age and had used our address when obtaining his licenses. Please note this child was grown and had his own insurance plus did not live with us and was off at college. We decided to pay it just in case he used our vehicle to help in our farming operation when he was home for the holidays. Ok so here comes the bill for the third year another $360 dollars. So insurance coverage that was suppose to cost around $990 dollars for liability was now up to $2,700 dollars.

We decided to change insurance companies and now our policy cost is back to normal and we have twice the liability coverage for the same low cost as when we started. Also we offered to show the new insurance Co. that our child under 25 years had insurance with another company, but the agent said it was not necessary. Now here's another part that consumers should know. When we called the Hartford to cancelled we ended up in a big argument with them because they didn't want to cancelled. I give the Hartford a negative rating. They never took the time to discuss our policy before raising our premium and hassled us when we called to cancel. Always paid our policies in full upfront in advance never a monthly payment. Respect goes a long ways when dealing with your Senior citizens Hartford.

Original review: June 29, 2018

6 years later after The Hartford insured caused a fire that destroyed my business, my wife has terminal cancer from it. They admit it's their fault but are refusing to pay. Talked with The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift who laughed on the phone that my wife is dying from cancer she got from this incident. They talk a good game, but have no intentions of ever paying... shareholders should rethink the policy.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have had both auto and home with this company for years. In January my parked car was totaled. The adjuster told me 4 days later that the estimate was approved and the car was being repaired. I called the body shop and that was not the case. The body shop kept submitting additional estimates, and the adjuster kept telling me the new estimate had been approved and my car was being repaired. Finally a month or so later my car was declared totaled. I think that 90% of the communication was initiated by me.

I wanted a copy of the police report because a bystander got a partial plate and I wanted to see if they had found the Allied van that reported hit my car. Hartford would not spend the $30 to pay the police dept for the report, they had to wait until some company they contracted with produced it. They finally told me I could spend my $30 and they would reimburse me. At no time did the adjuster tell me what to expect in this process (such as multiple estimates, timelines, etc.).

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with The Hartford has been good overall and I trust them. I have auto and home insurance through them and I like that they give you discounts for multiple policies as well as multiple vehicles. They also have a vanishing deductible program. When I had a claim, they got everything taken care of in a very timely matter and had everything sent over for a car rental company to pick me up at the repair shop. But while The Hartford's rates are good and competitive, it could always be lower.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My vehicle was backed into by a HERC Rental Truck. The operator hit my vehicle and ran later to be found with evidence of my vehicle under his truck. The renter/manager Hosh ** of the Marksman company out of Baltimore, MD would not provide ins. information. After contacting the management company for Herc Rentals, they provided a copy of an unsigned contract and their ins information. I immediately contacted Hartford Insurance and Fire, I spoke to the adjuster whom was very rude and unprofessional. He took my information and never returned any calls for resolve. All attempts to contact Adjuster Mathew **, are to no avail. He will not return any calls. I would not refer anyone to either company for any reason. Very unresponsive, unprofessional and not business savvy at all. Seeking legal action to recover damages.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I made a phone call with Hartford. They said to take the vehicle to my dealer and that was it. The car was fixed, I had a loaner car and the case was finished. I was the one that damaged the other car and apparently they fixed that one also. Another aspect that I like about them is that I can pay my insurance yearly instead of every 6 months.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have been with Hartford for 3-4 years. Have never had a claim. Last year we had a tire blowout on the highway. We did not hit anything, no pot-hole, did not lose control, all other tires fine. Simply an act of nature I'm guessing. The severity of the blowout caused slight damage. My husband put in a claim for repairs. $1000 deductible. Hartford paid $1200. Surprise! Our insurance jumped $3000!! For the next three years! The claim was put in as an "at fault" collision accident?! The claims supervisor was very nice and is changing the claim to a NOT at fault claim.

However, this does nothing for us as I'm told it is a chargeable incident. Now all companies see it as this. Had we known, we would have paid for the repairs ourselves. Would have been much cheaper! Extremely disappointed with Hartford. For an incident we had no control over, no other vehicles involved. Will be switching to something a little less expensive. So much for being a good, paying, responsible customer.

Original review: April 7, 2018

During my two years with the Hartford, they failed to get my personal info correct on my policy. They listed my car having a lien when it didn’t. They represented me as a homeowner when I clearly stated that I rented. I believe that they sell personal information to contractors who, of course, require homeowners to market their services to. After two years with no claims and no payouts, they dropped me. Good riddance - Geico is happy to take (less of) my money for the same coverage. Price compare - just because they get a nod from the AARP doesn’t make them a standout.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My car was hit in a parking lot by a woman who had Hartford Insurance. The accident was the woman's fault and Hartford agreed. It was 2 days before we had a vacation planned. My husband did not want to take the car on vacation because he was afraid the door could fall off. The body shop agreed to take it in right away and start the fixes so it would be ready when we returned. The Hartford told me the clock starts ticking when they start the work and they said it should take 5 days. Well we planned to be back and just get the car then. When we were on the trip the body shop was notified that the part would delayed and it would be ultimately add 5 more days to us not having our car. We found this out when we returned. The Hartford said they would only pay for 5 days and we should have cancelled our vacation or we should have taken the bashed in car. In their opinion still drivable. They said, "You should not rent a car until the part is in."

They refused to pay for the rent a car for the extra days it took to get the part. They treated us like dirt as if we were cheating them out of money. They said we should have cancelled the vacation even though we would have lost thousands. Why should we cancel it because their policy holder hit us...so we can be victimized more. Their solution was we should have driven the bashed in car on vacation until we knew all parts were in. The claims handler was rude, disrespectful and did not treat us like a potential customer. Exceptions can be made in situations like ours when someone hits you right before your vacation. They were low class in their treatment of us. I would never recommend them to anyone. Zero customer service, zero caring, just treat people like cattle coming through that they can abuse and just push along... Do not buy their insurance or you will be continuing the unfair treatment and practices.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My grandparents have Home/Auto insurance through The Hartford, and I'm convinced that this company exists solely to take advantage of people over 50. I am listed as covered under their policy and my car is registered under my grandmother's name. I had used the car for an independent food delivery service and for months there was no issue. Then, when the delivery driver company needed me to give them my updated insurance forms I called asking for the forms. The woman that answered was very rude and refused to email me the policy page with my name listed. She said that my policy did not have the type of coverage required for my job. All of a sudden this was an issue when I had been open about my job in the past (over 6 months). She then stated she could get me set up on a new policy, but I told her I would just quit working the delivery job as it was a side job anyway (less than 10 hours a week).

I told her I was not the policyholder and that I didn't want to get a new policy because the car was not registered under my name. She did not say any of this would be a problem and I left the conversation feeling a little miffed, but overall happy to keep my policy. Then, without any call to me or call to my grandparents to ask simple questions, they mailed a notice stating that my car would no longer be insured. This letter arrived weeks after my conversation stating I hadn't worked for the company since October and that it wouldn't be a problem for me to quit. The company demanded an official letterhead document stating I was no longer employed by the delivery driver company. I contacted a representative and gave them all of the information needed to send them the official letter. They demanded it be faxed instead of email.

My representative from my delivery job had no problem doing this, but in 2017, almost 2018, I think it's time to move on to email. So now, after having my representatives fax an official letter and supplying them with the representative's name and phone number for further questions, they demand a notarized form stating that I am no longer employed with this company. Because I was technically an independent contractor for the delivery service, it states that I am "self-employed". However, without this company, I am unable to be paid.

So if I have an official letter stating that I am no longer working, there is no point in me continuing to make deliveries because I will not get paid for said deliveries. This company has done nothing but purposefully misinterpret every step of the way and when I switch the car over to my name I will never go back to The Hartford. I am spreading the word to as many people as possible. Do NOT use The Hartford. They treat their customers extremely poorly and have terrible communication skills.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had not shopped car insurance for several years. I contacted Hartford through AARP and was extremely pleased with assistance that I receive. Great reputation and I experienced great Customer Service. I lowered my rate, and obtained a higher level over coverage.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Claim was reviewed in a timely manner while my auto was sent to the approved shop for repair. I am a former employee of The Hartford, in Worker's Compensation, I get insurance coverage but not at any discount rate. I do think that the coverage I receive is top notch and the rates are extremely competitive, as I do shop around. I am 65 and my rates have gone up so I will shop around again and see what I find. I am also thinking of driving for Uber, so that could make a big difference also.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Stay away from Hartford Insurance/home or auto. Just because it is promoted from AARP, doesn't mean it is cheap!!! They are rude and improper!!! I joined Progressive Insurance for my Auto and saved $1200.00. Then they lied to me about my condo and released me... which was a blessing! I also saved for my Home Insurance.

Hartford - Auto Company Information