4.0/5 (587 ratings)

About Hartford - Auto

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

Pros

• Available nationwide
  • Well-established company
  • Specialized coverage for seniors

Cons

• Expensive for young drivers
  • Some benefits for AARP members only

Bottom Line

The Hartford is an insurance company that specializes in covering drivers ages 50 and above. It partners with AARP to provide members benefits and discounts. It’s available across the U.S. and offers a variety of policy options.

What is The Hartford auto insurance?

The Hartford is an insurance company that’s available nationwide and specializes in covering senior citizens. The Hartford partners with AARP to offer its members affordable insurance with exclusive discounts. While the company has policies for a wide variety of clients through independent agents, it’s most ideal for AARP members; its car insurance might not be as budget-friendly for young drivers and non-AARP members.

How does The Hartford auto insurance work?

The Hartford offers standard auto insurance policies, as well as some add-on coverages. Standard auto protection options from The Hartford include:

• Bodily injury liability: Helps with the other party’s injury expenses due to an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Pays for damages to someone’s property by an accident you caused.
  • Personal injury protection: Covers losses due to injury from a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
  • Collision: Covers the cost of your vehicle repairs after an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Pays for damages to your vehicle caused by factors other than an accident (vandalism, flood, fire, theft, animal collision and more).
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Protects you and your passengers if you’re in an accident with a person who has insufficient coverage or no insurance at all.

Supplemental coverage options from The Hartford include:

• Full glass coverage: Helps with the cost of window repairs.
  • Car towing coverage: Pays for towing and labor.
  • Rental car expense: Covers vehicle rental costs if your car is in the shop due to an accident.
  • Personal umbrella insurance: Pays for claim amounts exceeding your auto policy’s liability coverage.

The Advantage option for AARP members also includes:

• 12-month rate protection
  • RecoverCare assistance after an accident
  • New car replacement coverage
  • Lifetime car repair assurance
  • 24/7 claims hotline

The Advantage Plus plan provides even more benefits:

• First accident forgiveness
  • Disappearing collision deductible
  • Deductible waiver for a not-at-fault accident
  • $100 collision deductible reduction
  • Emergency expense coverage

Not all policy options are available in every state.

The Hartford auto insurance quotes and costs

Car insurance costs depend on your age, gender, driving history, location and more. Senior drivers tend to get lower rates than average because they’re more experienced drivers. The Hartford also offers auto coverage discounts for:

• Anti-theft devices
  • Defensive driver courses
  • Bundling policies
  • Paying in full

The Hartford auto insurance FAQ

Is The Hartford car insurance only for AARP members?
The Hartford’s auto coverage is an option for all drivers, but it provides more discounts and benefits for AARP members.
Does The Hartford have accident forgiveness?
Yes. The Hartford offers accident forgiveness as part of its Advantage Plus package.
Where is The Hartford car insurance available?
Car insurance from The Hartford is available nationwide, though policies and offerings vary by state.
Does The Hartford have full coverage car insurance plans?
Yes, The Hartford does offer full coverage car insurance — keep in mind that each state has its own coverage requirements and minimums.

Is The Hartford a good insurance company?

The Hartford is a well-established business with more than 200 years of experience, and its partnership with AARP helps it cater to drivers 50 and older. If you meet The Hartford’s target demographic and have an AARP membership, it might be a great auto coverage option for you — however, if you don’t have an AARP membership or are a younger driver, you likely can find a better deal elsewhere.

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: March 31, 2022

2 vehicles, multi-car discount. Paid in advance for the year. (August through August) Totaled one vehicle. They are supposed to prorate refund for unused premiums. February (accident) through August. The so-called refund received $39.00. Really? If you prepay, you will not get your prorated refund. They will make you pay for the remaining vehicle as if there was no refund (backdated) rather than henceforth from the date of the incident. In addition, they immediately sent a bill for an additional $121.00/month for the remaining vehicle. So, ultimately that one vehicle cost $3335.00 for the year. This is why people HATE insurance companies. I am disappointed AARP would support the Hartford; I will certainly let everyone I know what happened and to go elsewhere.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

When I filed a claim with Hartford Auto Insurance. They would never return my phone calls. The claims adjuster lied about everything. Had to take my truck back to the body shop 3 times for more pictures. They were very rude and condescending. Stay away from this company. Their TV ads are misleading.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

This is the worst experience in 30+ years in business. My roof was damaged by wind with shingles laying in my parking lot. Two years and $5000 later after hiring 2 experts they finally sent a check today. RUN from this company!! Dr. M.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Their business model is based upon for every customer lost, they get 5 new ones... so they have no desire to retain a customer. They do not advise a customer of any cost saving options. They raise rates without any claim history. I switched and cut my insurance bill in half.. same coverage. Inquiry as why they were doubling my premium for coming year they had no answer.. simply rates were going up...with no explanation.. I went elsewhere.. told them I would do that and they said Ok with us. I had been a customer for 8 years, every year premiums increased.. no matter auto older and book value decreased, reducing their exposure if total loss. They seek new customers... practice a "turn over" by letting existing customers leave.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

My SUV was parked at a restaurant. A driverless pickup with a camper was left running in gear. Can down a road, across a parking lot and pushed my SUV over a curb and into the restaurant. The pickup was covered by Hartford. My SUV had damage to the bumpers and some other minor body damage. The big item was the transmission was broke since it was in park and pushed up over a curb. Car was not driveable due to transmission. Hartford only has paid for the bumper damage and the tow to get the SUV to my house. They have refused to cover any transmission damage. What they think I had my car towed to the restaurant!!!! No wonder they claim their rates are so low if they will not cover damage to cars. I tell everyone to run from this company as they are totally a bad business.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I am A senior citizen and I have the Hartford insurance through AARP. Even though I have never had an accident or ticket I am still classified with a high insurance rate. Just because we are senior citizens and some should not be driving I agree but why should all senior citizens be classified the same. I believe that they should take it on a one on one basis.

Original review: July 8, 2021

On June 10th 9:30 am I was reared ended by Hartford insured on San Bruno Ave and 280 (Carolyn ** DL # **) Residing at **. Police report filed. So, I drove my car from San Bruno to All State to file a claim and I was turn down by my agent telling me to file a claim against Hartford. From there I called the Doctor to tell him that I have been hurt and my hand is really hurting me bad. He called his brother who worked for the towing truck, came, picked towed my car to the S&T International Auto body in San Francisco. Which I was not aware there would be a storage high storage fee. So, my car was inspected and in 26 day I was told the car cannot be fixed.

This where the problem starts now. I got an email from Hartford and saying that they can’t help me, "Cause our policy has limit. You need to file a claim against your insurance to ours." So, I did it same day. Friday, they did an inspection on my car, came out with the value of the car and till same day I got call a from the body shop saying who is responsible for this storage fee. I had no idea what was this storage fee they talking about so far, I am paying rental from my pocket because I don’t have rental coverage in my policy.

No one is helping me and my car is stuck in this body shop cause the leasing company where I lease my car need to get paid also. Causing I am leasing this car. I am without a car and I am losing money day by day which is not my fault this accident happened. My life has been turned upside down and my stress level and anxiety level has gone so high.. I am sick. My hand hurts from the accident. My neck problem have gone so worst. I can’t sleep at night. Worry about all this and crying. None of this is my fault and I am suffering day by day. My next step would be if I can call California Insurance Dept and talk to them about this. My life depends on my car cause this is how I make money and pay my bills.

Original review: May 18, 2021

After being a auto insurance customer for 2 years. No claims, No changes, Paid premium in full, Under 4K miles per year driving.... Hartford then raised my policy 15%. or $118 per yr. The cost of living for 2021 is only 1.3 %.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Multiple phone calls, multiple requests, multiple re-requests for documentation after documentation to try to cancel The Hartford Car insurance through AARP. Once you sign up good look cancelling - they will never let you go. My Dad died on Jan 8 - His car was sold 12/2/2020. I am trying to take care of affairs and cancel car insurance - but they just keep sending me paperwork - after I already submitted paperwork. Complete runaround and complete lack of customer services after policyholder has died.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Got the "get a quote and get a free duffel bag". Went online, got the quote. Did not include collision, and The Hartford failed to tell me that. So cancelled out. But no way to get duffel bag. If I can remember, NEVER AGAIN!

Hartford - Auto Company Information