Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Hartford - Auto
2.31/5

Hartford - Auto

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Hartford - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We have been insured with this company for many years. We have had claims over the years which have been settled without any problems. We also have a package deal which includes our home insurance (total of three properties) and vehicle insurance. We have no local agent, all business is conducted online or by phone which has worked out well over the years. I would highly recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim with them. I am basing my answers on their customer service whenever I call with questions and whenever I am considering making changes on the policy. At the time I purchased it some years ago, they gave me the best price of the ones I checked.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Was sideswiped by a driver who tried to get ahead of me by passing on the right shoulder. Problem was there was someone already sitting on the shoulder in front of the driver so to avoid hitting him, he turned into me. In any case my claim through The Hartford has been handled with the utmost professionalism and compassion by Meaghan ** in the claims Dept. I can't say enough good things about her. My car was repaired within a week after handing it over to the repair shop. I am now looking to work with The Hartford to prove culpability on the other driver's part. I hope The Hartford doesn't hit me with punishing rate hikes but in any case, Meaghan and the claims process has been exemplary. Also a shout out to Peter ** for exemplary service as well.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have both homeowners and auto insurance through the Hartford Insurance Company. The insurance was offered by AARP and for me, a senior citizen is an excellent buy. I tried several other insurance companies and the cost, on my very limited income, was prohibitive. There is a slight increase every year, but nothing to the increase that everything else in life is costing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The claims process was slow with a very unresponsive and unfair adjuster. Then the adjuster reduced the body shop estimate by over 50% because I wanted to cash out rather than get the repairs done. I even obtained a second estimate to validate the first one. This is unethical and totally against all insurance regulations. NEVER EVER USE The Hartford Company for ANY insurance. They're glad to collect your premium but totally unfair when it comes to settling claims.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I spoke to a Claims adjuster by phone regarding an accident where I was hit by one of their insured. The call was recorded by them and the adjuster stated, after me providing the details about the accident, that Hartford would be accepting liability and advised me to get an estimate. He provided a name and address of a paint a body shop they worked with in my area. He also asked if I would need a rent a car and whether I wanted to Hartford to send the repair payment to me or should they settle with the body shop. I advised they could pay directly to the body shop.

I received a call a few days later from the adjuster stating they would not accept liability in full. I said, "You have already accepted liability in a previous call." He of course denied it. I asked to hear the recording because I was 100% sure he had accepted liability. He said I could not hear the recorded statement. I asked to speak to his manager. When she and I spoke she said basically the same thing, that I am not privy-ed to this recording. It is my voice on the recording and I should be able to hear this recording. By not allowing me to hear the recording alludes to the fact that adjuster did in fact stated they accept liability.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

When we hit a deer that ran in front of us and totaled the car, Hartford was quick in taking care of us. I think it was less than a week, we was paid so we could get another car to replace the totaled car.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Had this company through AARP for 5+ years and things were great until I filed a claim. The claim was paid promptly and fairly, but my next premium notice went up about 100%. I'd never had a claim before so we "promptly" dropped them and went to Texas Farm Bureau!

Hartford - Auto Company Information