2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.24/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Hartford - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We have been insured with this company for many years. We have had claims over the years which have been settled without any problems. We also have a package deal which includes our home insurance (total of three properties) and vehicle insurance. We have no local agent, all business is conducted online or by phone which has worked out well over the years. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Had this company through AARP for 5+ years and things were great until I filed a claim. The claim was paid promptly and fairly, but my next premium notice went up about 100%. I'd never had a claim before so we "promptly" dropped them and went to Texas Farm Bureau!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim with them. I am basing my answers on their customer service whenever I call with questions and whenever I am considering making changes on the policy. At the time I purchased it some years ago, they gave me the best price of the ones I checked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: May 19, 2020

Initially the price of this insurance was great. Then a fender bender happened and our rates skyrocketed. Hartford claimed an issue from 5 years prior, plus the current fender bender was the cause for the increase in rates. We were not insured with Hartford from the previous incident 5 years earlier. We shopped around and chose Allstate. Hartford then charged us hundreds of dollars to get out of their policy!! I would definitely NOT recommend Hartford.

Original review: May 12, 2020

My spouse and I have great driving records. After MANY emails and letters, we finally decided to try Hartford. We found the pricing not any better than three other major insurance companies. The policy lasts one year, which is supposed to be a plus, but we got that from Amica as well. Claims is a disaster! All I had was a cracked windshield and they turned it into a big deal. Their agents are polite, but their process stinks.

As a senior staying home due to Covid-19, Hartford wanted me to go to Safelite's location for the replacement! So much for stay at home, stay safe! No mention of the mobile glass repair service that most people use. (Now a few years ago when I went to my local Safelite office for a chip repair, I sat in a dirty lounge for nearly 5 hours as other customers came and went. Finally, they realized my promised repair time of 30 to 40 minutes had not been met--even that time is longer than most of their competitors to fix a chip. They gave me free wipers for the inconvenience. Woopie!)

The first "Hartford" (in quotes because they might have been a Safelite employee) agent I talked to confirmed a date and time with Safelite. It was six days later! I even had a call back from the agent confirming it. The morning for the appointment arrives and nothing. No call or email to confirm. One hour into my 5 HOUR window--worse than cable TV or Internet installation, I contact Safelite's robocall customer service system which tells me they have no service call scheduled with me, at all, on any day. I call Hartford back. Again polite agent who confirms that I called, but no appointment was scheduled? What? She didn't know why. Then, she tried to get me to go to Safelite for the repair. Ugh! Really?

Glass customer claims are managed by Safelite. I imagine for 3 reasons, 1) save Hartford money, 2) send business to Safelite, 3) kickback to Hartford? Safelite's priorities seem simple, get as many Hartford glass claims as possible and save money by sending seniors out to their repair/retail locations. Customer service/convenience is not the primary goal.

I remain hopeful that this appointment will be honored. I also think, once here, the repair person will do a very good job. But, I guess that this experience has failed to demonstrate to me any compelling reason why my switching to Hartford was a better choice than Amica or Geico who both really want our business. How did they get in bed with AARP? I'm just glad my claim wasn't for an accident. I hope those agents aren't pushing a company like glass folks do.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I had my 2011 perfect condition Subaru with 50k miles totaled in a freak flood. The AARP Hartford auto had low balled the claim by a couple thousand of dollars. They do this by hiring a third party whose methodology is grossly negligent is creating a valuation from "comparable" vehicles. Their fraudulent scheme includes only cars with over 100k of mileage and then doing a modest adjustment for a low mileage vehicle. This certainly does not work for a high demand Japanese Subaru. The vendor also subtracts from the valuation the list price of useless accessories like tinting, moon roofs, etc. It is disgraceful and I intend to take this up with AARP which brands this auto insurance.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I switched to Hartford a month ago and still have not received policy and or I.D. cards. I have called over half dozen times and they keep saying they have no control over mail delivery. One Rep had the nerve to suggest I have police call them if I got stopped. They are totally unprofessional and incompetent. I am so sorry I switched companies. The savings are not worth dealing with Hartford. Just say NO.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I have multiple policies with Hartford on top of all the policies I have set up for my elderly family members from home, auto, worker’s compensation and life insurance policies. Hartford continued to raise mine and my family’s rates for no reason. So now from last year with my worker’s compensation insurance they decided to drop me, I was fine as I was paying more than I should have. My policy cancelled last November and then I get an audit request having to show my finances for the last year which were exactly what I forecasted. Now due to the audit I had to pay another $384 for a policy I no longer have and not 1 person could explain why. So I got a quote for the year, I paid it, never filed a claim and now I have to pay more?

I have already moved all my other policies and the rest of my family is next. I already saved over $400/yr just on my homeowners and I have way better auto coverage for cheaper. So nice work Hartford! You will be losing about a total of 14 policies between me and my family so say goodbye to over $12,000 a year from my family alone and anyone I find that has your policies. I work in the Insurance industry and I know what you have done is wrong. I have never had to do an audit for other worker’s compensation policies I have had over the last 20 years. BETRAYED! It’s pretty much like paying to go stay at a Resort for an agreed price, I pay the price. Then when I get home they call and say I owe more money.

Hartford - Auto Company Information