Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.27/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Hartford - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We have been insured with this company for many years. We have had claims over the years which have been settled without any problems. We also have a package deal which includes our home insurance (total of three properties) and vehicle insurance. We have no local agent, all business is conducted online or by phone which has worked out well over the years. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Had this company through AARP for 5+ years and things were great until I filed a claim. The claim was paid promptly and fairly, but my next premium notice went up about 100%. I'd never had a claim before so we "promptly" dropped them and went to Texas Farm Bureau!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim with them. I am basing my answers on their customer service whenever I call with questions and whenever I am considering making changes on the policy. At the time I purchased it some years ago, they gave me the best price of the ones I checked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I have multiple policies with Hartford on top of all the policies I have set up for my elderly family members from home, auto, worker’s compensation and life insurance policies. Hartford continued to raise mine and my family’s rates for no reason. So now from last year with my worker’s compensation insurance they decided to drop me, I was fine as I was paying more than I should have. My policy cancelled last November and then I get an audit request having to show my finances for the last year which were exactly what I forecasted. Now due to the audit I had to pay another $384 for a policy I no longer have and not 1 person could explain why. So I got a quote for the year, I paid it, never filed a claim and now I have to pay more?

I have already moved all my other policies and the rest of my family is next. I already saved over $400/yr just on my homeowners and I have way better auto coverage for cheaper. So nice work Hartford! You will be losing about a total of 14 policies between me and my family so say goodbye to over $12,000 a year from my family alone and anyone I find that has your policies. I work in the Insurance industry and I know what you have done is wrong. I have never had to do an audit for other worker’s compensation policies I have had over the last 20 years. BETRAYED! It’s pretty much like paying to go stay at a Resort for an agreed price, I pay the price. Then when I get home they call and say I owe more money.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Just bought a 2016 Tesla S 75 that has 19,000 miles. Truly one of the safest cars to drive. So safe that many insurance companies give a discount for Tesla owners. Instead, Hartford, whom I’ve been with for years refuses to insure my car! I very suddenly have to scramble to find new insurance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I had The Hartford for 11 years. Every year my rates increased, at first it was around $100 to $150 a year until the last three years it was around $300 or more per year. I have two older vehicles, 2003 and 2006 Hyundai's. I do not carry collision on either one and they wanted $2300 for this next year. I called a very well known, reputable insurance company that quoted me $539 for 6 months for both vehicles and with the same coverage. This was over a $1200 savings for the year. I feel like I have been taken advantage of by The Hartford for several years until I had finally had it with them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Takes forever to get anything done. Have called and called and when someone does finally call back and leave a number, I immediately return their call and only get a recording. When with State Farm car would be repaired within a couple of weeks. With Hartford, repair work has not even been scheduled in well over two weeks. Also have no idea of when it will even be!

Have only had maybe two or three auto claims in over 50 years of driving, Fortunately this is the first with Hartford. It takes a very long time to even have an adjuster return a call much less answer any questions. It has been very difficult for repair company to get anyone from Hartford to return a call. Don’t believe they have even talked yet in over two weeks. Very, very dissatisfied and frustrated with Hartford. Hopefully it will not take more than a month to finally get repair work at least started. Very, very dissatisfied with Hartford.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Very bad customer service experience and forced hidden fees for small business insurance. They are just low life crooks. Stay away from that kind of company for any type of insurance. You will get robbed!!

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Hartford - Auto Company Information

The Hartford
    One Hartford Plaza
    Hartford
    CT
    www.thehartford.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.