Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Hartford - Auto
2.23/5

Hartford - Auto

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

The Hartford offers car insurance to drivers of all ages, but gives special coverages and benefits to people 50 or older. It has partnered with the AARP, American Association of Retired People, and serves nearly 40 million AARP members. Many of their customers are happy with the company’s great customer service.

PROS

• 12-month rate protection
  • Lifetime renewability
  • Special benefits for AARP members
  • Classic car coverage
  • RecoverCare program for reimbursement of home services

CONS

• Early cancellation fees might apply
  • May be expensive for young and high-risk drivers

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

258 Hartford - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 8, 2019

Was sideswiped by a driver who tried to get ahead of me by passing on the right shoulder. Problem was there was someone already sitting on the shoulder in front of the driver so to avoid hitting him, he turned into me. In any case my claim through The Hartford has been handled with the utmost professionalism and compassion by Meaghan ** in the claims Dept. I can't say enough good things about her. My car was repaired within a week after handing it over to the repair shop. I am now looking to work with The Hartford to prove culpability on the other driver's part. I hope The Hartford doesn't hit me with punishing rate hikes but in any case, Meaghan and the claims process has been exemplary. Also a shout out to Peter ** for exemplary service as well.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have both homeowners and auto insurance through the Hartford Insurance Company. The insurance was offered by AARP and for me, a senior citizen is an excellent buy. I tried several other insurance companies and the cost, on my very limited income, was prohibitive. There is a slight increase every year, but nothing to the increase that everything else in life is costing.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I totaled my vehicle and that of another driver on July 3. Because I'd never crashed before and had no clear idea of what my insurance covered, I assumed I'd have to struggle to get compensation; also I'd broken my collarbone but didn't get this checked out till weeks later. Hartford immediately arranged for towing and a rental car. Their agents promptly responded to questions about the claim and explained in very clear and detailed terms what was happening with it. They let me know when I would receive my check and it arrived in a timely fashion. When I submitted my late claim for coverage of care for my shoulder injury there were no questions about why I hadn't immediately sought care. Everyone I talked or emailed with was pleasant, direct, and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

You pay your premium and then you need to put a claim in one glass, I have a 2017 KIA Sportage with the sound deadening glass from the factory which makes for a very quiet ride. Hartford will only pay for the cheapest glass they can find which is Safelite who makes no OEM glass. They make their own glass. Also look at your policy. They sub it out to other companies that are questionable. Do yourself a favor. Pay a little more and get an agent you won't be just a number!

Original review: July 22, 2019

Don't be fooled by this company. Even though we purchased through AARP, the company increased their rates to almost double what I found elsewhere. We had this on automatic withdrawal, so didn't notice until after several months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was insured by Hartford for many years during which I had no accidents, no incidents and no issues. After a first claim, an incident for which I was not responsible, I received a renewal [as guaranteed], while the rate had quadrupled. While I figured the renewal rate indicated might have been a mistake, I soon learned that this is how this company operates. They love receiving premiums - AND NO CLAIMS - but if this pattern changes, expect a very different response. Apparently, Hartford seeks to recover the cost of a claim by way of punitively extravagant premium increases. Avoid this outfit, whose image belies a very different pattern of behavior. If you want insurance, rather than a company that only wants to collect premiums, look elsewhere. If not pathetic, this must be the worst possible business model of the entire insurance industry.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Hopefully you never experience dealing with the Hartford Insurance companies. I had one of their insureds run into my car. From that point on it was a nightmare. First their people acted as though they really could care less and from there it went downhill. Having dealt with many insurance companies over the years they are probably the most incompetent I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Horrible and their communications are a Joke. AARP should be ashamed recommending such companies.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was with Hartford for a long time; then the customer service became F minus quality. I changed insurance companies when this no customer service began. Now, Hartford keeps sending me free quote cards, one right after another. I thought "maybe they have changed." NOPE. SAME F minus service. CAN I GIVE ZERO STARS HERE?

I had a shower head break in my bathroom in 2013; that is the only insurance claim I had. Ms. Susan **, VP Hartford, sent me a letter stating they would not insure me because of this. Really Ms. **? I don't want you! Your insurance quote was not what my home appraised out for, your insurance is double the price of any other insurance co. Your insurance is suppose to be for seniors! Ha ha! Lies! What makes you think I would want you? Also, Ms. ** never got back with me and was rude. If you were the last insurance company around, Ms. **, I would remain uninsured! I have been a AARP member for years and I will finally get to complain to AARP about you!!

Oh, and I forgot: you guys allege I had a $11,000.00 claim with an insurance company called Liberty Mutual. I never even had this company. I forwarded the letter to Ms. **. What did she do? Rip it up? Liberty Mutual says I never was their customer nor do I have any claims with them!!! How about that!!! More lies from you! And, further, all these bad reviews on Hartford are well justified! Good riddance Hartford. You should start by removing Ms. ** as vice president! I was a long time member of Hartford and with people like her, I am glad I am not! Or maybe remove her to a secretarial position! Thanks for wasting my time.

Original review: April 23, 2019

AUTO INSURANCE- First things first, I was paying 1487.00 per year for a 2011 Chevy Camaro. Sold the car and called in to have it removed off the auto policy. The policy was only discounted $870, what happen to the other $615.00, even if it was prorated it should have been $992.00 remove being we are only 4 months into the year. Second the Homeowners policy, ACV POLICY, sold to all GEORGIA Residents only from the Hartford. Please read your policy if you live anywhere in the United States. We were impacted by Hurricane Michael and long story short HARTFORD PAID US $1600.00 to replace our roof. No interior damaged. Paid closed the claim without notifying us, and claims department dismissed us like we were not even covered. Worst ordeal of my life beside the day I was told by my doctor that I had TWO terminally ill diseases. This company is advertising that they care, that they are better than other companies. THEY ARE NOT!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been with Hartford for years, and now after reading reviews I wish I would have read them sooner. However you don't need to read them as long as you don't file a claim. After filing my claim on a no fault accident resulting in a dent in my finder 1100.00 to fix, my insurance increased 700 a year for 3 years. Why do I have insurance if I'm going to be penalized for using it? When using Hartford please understand your paying history. Good driving history and loyalty to this company is only valid if you don't file any claims. Otherwise be prepared to join us in writing a truthful review on how this large company betrays its good honest paying customers.

Hartford - Auto Company Information