Find the Best Match

Hartford - Auto
2.32/5
Based on 163 reviews that contain star ratings

Hartford - Auto

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

239 Hartford - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We were hit by one of their customers. They were some of the worst people to deal with on settling the tried to pressure us into settling before we had even finished getting medical treatment. They didn’t give us reasonable amount of time to find a replacement vehicle with only 5 days use of a rental truck. (We have horses and animals.) We lost our truck because of their customer. Low balled us on our vehicle by about 30%. We had to use our own insurance to get fair value. We were constantly lied to by the guy we were dealing with. We finally just settled just to done at about half of what an attorney told us it should be worth.

Their lack of integrity and professionalism has created more hardship for us. I belong to AARP and before this experience was going to change over to them but seeing how they conduct business I could not in any way be associated with them. I am also going to complain to AARP and ask why you associate your selves with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I totaled my vehicle and that of another driver on July 3. Because I'd never crashed before and had no clear idea of what my insurance covered, I assumed I'd have to struggle to get compensation; also I'd broken my collarbone but didn't get this checked out till weeks later. Hartford immediately arranged for towing and a rental car. Their agents promptly responded to questions about the claim and explained in very clear and detailed terms what was happening with it. They let me know when I would receive my check and it arrived in a timely fashion. When I submitted my late claim for coverage of care for my shoulder injury there were no questions about why I hadn't immediately sought care. Everyone I talked or emailed with was pleasant, direct, and helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

On July 4th, 2018, I was on my way home from Ocean City when a deer full on sprinted into the side of my car while going down the highway, it destroyed the turn signal housing, fender, front and rear door. After contacting The Hartford it took them OVER A ** MONTH just to figure out what they were going to do. Instead of paying to have my car fixed, which would have been roughly about $4,000-$5,000 they decided to total my car and only give me 2,000 leaving me to pay the rest out of pocket.

I'm currently a college student and cannot afford this whatsoever. Thanks to "Trusting The Hartford" and basically robbing me of my car when the accident wasn't my fault. I've dealt with many insurance companies in the past and The Hartford is by far the worst and the biggest joke on the market today. It's currently been two months and the check for the money they said they would give me has not come yet. DON'T TRUST THE HARTFORD. THEY CAN AND WILL ** YOU OVER.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had Hartford thru AARP giving them raving reviews. Full coverage on both of my vehicles PLUS towing and rental car. I was driving my LeBaron convertible to music event. A guy cut me off with dually truck either had to go UNDER HIS TRUCK...OR make sharp right...chose right...hit large curb. My car was drivable at 15/20 mph. Got home, called Hartford. They would NOT return my call. I called and got some RUDE NON INTERESTED woman. I said I need a car to drive. "Well you own another car." "Yeah my wife's car. She drives to work. So what about rental car?? Hello, hello..." Phone went dead. Never could get my car fixed. No rental car. PROMPTLY GOT RID OF THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY. GREAT as long as you PAY THEM. WISH I COULD GIVE A MINUS 1!!! BEWARE BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Unimpressed with the claims department handling of my vehicle repairs. First off they paid a body shop that gave an estimate on my car, however I never took it to them for the repairs. This was discovered when I filed a claim for damage that occurred in a parking lot. The new shop gave a full estimate and were told the first estimate had been paid and would not be covered. Who pays a shop before the customer brings in a car? I was told I had to take my car to the first shop. Why would I take my car there if they never called me to say they had been paid... So fast forward I get that cleared up. I have the approval to go to the body shop and rental car is coverage of $50 a day, for 30 days. Hartford tries to cancel the rental early. Now my car is not complete and they have canceled the car rental at 21 days. Very dissatisfied. I just want the coverage I paid for to be honored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Day 1 - My vehicle was hit and damaged by one of their clients. Day 1 - I called them. Their client had already notified them as well. The first person I talked to gave me the wrong extension number for the assigned claims adjuster (ACA). Had to use their phone tree to find the right person. I was told I would have to wait until they could get the police report, or I could email it to them myself to save them the trouble. Day 3 - I email the police report and pictures of the damage to the ACA. - No contact from him. Day 4 - No contact from the ACA. Day 5 - I contact the ACA and he claims he never received my email. He gives me a "generic" email address that I can send it to and they will forward it to him. I go to my "Sent Mail" folder and forward the original email I had previously sent to him (showing his correct email address) to both the generic email address and to his email address again.

Day 6 - I call the ACA since he has not bothered to respond to my email. He advises me that a person will contact me to come out and look at the vehicle and take pictures. I am not contacted. Day 7 - I email the generic email address again asking about the next step in the process. Day 8 - I am contacted by a different person, we'll call him the Auto Service Representative (ASR). He tells me, "No, a person will not be coming out." Instead I am to take my vehicle to the agreed upon auto body shop and they will work up an estimate, take pictures, and send them into Hartford. Day 8 - My vehicle is looked at by the agreed upon auto body shop. Pictures are taken, information is taken and the body shop says they will upload all the information to the Hartford.

Day 9 - The body shop calls me to confirm the information was sent, and to schedule an appointment for my car to be fixed. We schedule it for Day 17. Day 10 - I call ACA to notify of scheduled date and ask for a car rental. No answer. I leave a voicemail. Day 11 - No contact. Day 12 - I receive a late evening email from ACA telling me he has been trying to reach me by phone and that I have 10 days to contact them if I wish to pursue the matter. Day 13 - I email ACA and ask him what number he tried to contact me on since I have not received any voicemails from him, nor did either of my 2 phones record any missed calls from him. I also advise him that of course I wish to pursue the claim and I remind him of scheduled fix date and ask for car rental procedure. No response.

Day 14 - I forward my Day 13 email to ACA and the generic email, advising again that I have not been contacted and that I still wish to pursue the matter. Day 15 - Early morning... I leave a voicemail for the ACA advising of all my attempts to pursue the claim. Today is still Day 15 - 4 hours later. I am still waiting to hear from the Hateford/Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Having 4 cars with The Hartford for over 20 years. We had a $6,000.00 damage claim. They paid but the next billing cycle the rate increased by 100%! Thank god my husband is a veteran and we were able to get USAA at lower the previous rate with The Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I would not recommend Hartford insurance. They do not want to pay the claims that they are responsible for. Trying to get out of paying it by any means they can. Worst insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Three years ago I purchased liability insurance from the Hartford. My wife and I have not had any tickets or violations in over 30 years. The liability cost for two vehicles was $660 dollars for the first year. On the second year we added another vehicle that we use on the farm for about the same cost rate as the others. Then one day we received a notice that they were raising our insurance another $1,350 dollars based on one of our children being under 25 years of age and had used our address when obtaining his licenses. Please note this child was grown and had his own insurance plus did not live with us and was off at college. We decided to pay it just in case he used our vehicle to help in our farming operation when he was home for the holidays. Ok so here comes the bill for the third year another $360 dollars. So insurance coverage that was suppose to cost around $990 dollars for liability was now up to $2,700 dollars.

We decided to change insurance companies and now our policy cost is back to normal and we have twice the liability coverage for the same low cost as when we started. Also we offered to show the new insurance Co. that our child under 25 years had insurance with another company, but the agent said it was not necessary. Now here's another part that consumers should know. When we called the Hartford to cancelled we ended up in a big argument with them because they didn't want to cancelled. I give the Hartford a negative rating. They never took the time to discuss our policy before raising our premium and hassled us when we called to cancel. Always paid our policies in full upfront in advance never a monthly payment. Respect goes a long ways when dealing with your Senior citizens Hartford.

Original review: June 29, 2018

6 years later after The Hartford insured caused a fire that destroyed my business, my wife has terminal cancer from it. They admit it's their fault but are refusing to pay. Talked with The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift who laughed on the phone that my wife is dying from cancer she got from this incident. They talk a good game, but have no intentions of ever paying... shareholders should rethink the policy.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have had both auto and home with this company for years. In January my parked car was totaled. The adjuster told me 4 days later that the estimate was approved and the car was being repaired. I called the body shop and that was not the case. The body shop kept submitting additional estimates, and the adjuster kept telling me the new estimate had been approved and my car was being repaired. Finally a month or so later my car was declared totaled. I think that 90% of the communication was initiated by me.

I wanted a copy of the police report because a bystander got a partial plate and I wanted to see if they had found the Allied van that reported hit my car. Hartford would not spend the $30 to pay the police dept for the report, they had to wait until some company they contracted with produced it. They finally told me I could spend my $30 and they would reimburse me. At no time did the adjuster tell me what to expect in this process (such as multiple estimates, timelines, etc.).

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with The Hartford has been good overall and I trust them. I have auto and home insurance through them and I like that they give you discounts for multiple policies as well as multiple vehicles. They also have a vanishing deductible program. When I had a claim, they got everything taken care of in a very timely matter and had everything sent over for a car rental company to pick me up at the repair shop. But while The Hartford's rates are good and competitive, it could always be lower.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My vehicle was backed into by a HERC Rental Truck. The operator hit my vehicle and ran later to be found with evidence of my vehicle under his truck. The renter/manager Hosh ** of the Marksman company out of Baltimore, MD would not provide ins. information. After contacting the management company for Herc Rentals, they provided a copy of an unsigned contract and their ins information. I immediately contacted Hartford Insurance and Fire, I spoke to the adjuster whom was very rude and unprofessional. He took my information and never returned any calls for resolve. All attempts to contact Adjuster Mathew **, are to no avail. He will not return any calls. I would not refer anyone to either company for any reason. Very unresponsive, unprofessional and not business savvy at all. Seeking legal action to recover damages.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I made a phone call with Hartford. They said to take the vehicle to my dealer and that was it. The car was fixed, I had a loaner car and the case was finished. I was the one that damaged the other car and apparently they fixed that one also. Another aspect that I like about them is that I can pay my insurance yearly instead of every 6 months.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have been with Hartford for 3-4 years. Have never had a claim. Last year we had a tire blowout on the highway. We did not hit anything, no pot-hole, did not lose control, all other tires fine. Simply an act of nature I'm guessing. The severity of the blowout caused slight damage. My husband put in a claim for repairs. $1000 deductible. Hartford paid $1200. Surprise! Our insurance jumped $3000!! For the next three years! The claim was put in as an "at fault" collision accident?! The claims supervisor was very nice and is changing the claim to a NOT at fault claim.

However, this does nothing for us as I'm told it is a chargeable incident. Now all companies see it as this. Had we known, we would have paid for the repairs ourselves. Would have been much cheaper! Extremely disappointed with Hartford. For an incident we had no control over, no other vehicles involved. Will be switching to something a little less expensive. So much for being a good, paying, responsible customer.

Original review: April 7, 2018

During my two years with the Hartford, they failed to get my personal info correct on my policy. They listed my car having a lien when it didn’t. They represented me as a homeowner when I clearly stated that I rented. I believe that they sell personal information to contractors who, of course, require homeowners to market their services to. After two years with no claims and no payouts, they dropped me. Good riddance - Geico is happy to take (less of) my money for the same coverage. Price compare - just because they get a nod from the AARP doesn’t make them a standout.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My car was hit in a parking lot by a woman who had Hartford Insurance. The accident was the woman's fault and Hartford agreed. It was 2 days before we had a vacation planned. My husband did not want to take the car on vacation because he was afraid the door could fall off. The body shop agreed to take it in right away and start the fixes so it would be ready when we returned. The Hartford told me the clock starts ticking when they start the work and they said it should take 5 days. Well we planned to be back and just get the car then. When we were on the trip the body shop was notified that the part would delayed and it would be ultimately add 5 more days to us not having our car. We found this out when we returned. The Hartford said they would only pay for 5 days and we should have cancelled our vacation or we should have taken the bashed in car. In their opinion still drivable. They said, "You should not rent a car until the part is in."

They refused to pay for the rent a car for the extra days it took to get the part. They treated us like dirt as if we were cheating them out of money. They said we should have cancelled the vacation even though we would have lost thousands. Why should we cancel it because their policy holder hit us...so we can be victimized more. Their solution was we should have driven the bashed in car on vacation until we knew all parts were in. The claims handler was rude, disrespectful and did not treat us like a potential customer. Exceptions can be made in situations like ours when someone hits you right before your vacation. They were low class in their treatment of us. I would never recommend them to anyone. Zero customer service, zero caring, just treat people like cattle coming through that they can abuse and just push along... Do not buy their insurance or you will be continuing the unfair treatment and practices.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My grandparents have Home/Auto insurance through The Hartford, and I'm convinced that this company exists solely to take advantage of people over 50. I am listed as covered under their policy and my car is registered under my grandmother's name. I had used the car for an independent food delivery service and for months there was no issue. Then, when the delivery driver company needed me to give them my updated insurance forms I called asking for the forms. The woman that answered was very rude and refused to email me the policy page with my name listed. She said that my policy did not have the type of coverage required for my job. All of a sudden this was an issue when I had been open about my job in the past (over 6 months). She then stated she could get me set up on a new policy, but I told her I would just quit working the delivery job as it was a side job anyway (less than 10 hours a week).

I told her I was not the policyholder and that I didn't want to get a new policy because the car was not registered under my name. She did not say any of this would be a problem and I left the conversation feeling a little miffed, but overall happy to keep my policy. Then, without any call to me or call to my grandparents to ask simple questions, they mailed a notice stating that my car would no longer be insured. This letter arrived weeks after my conversation stating I hadn't worked for the company since October and that it wouldn't be a problem for me to quit. The company demanded an official letterhead document stating I was no longer employed by the delivery driver company. I contacted a representative and gave them all of the information needed to send them the official letter. They demanded it be faxed instead of email.

My representative from my delivery job had no problem doing this, but in 2017, almost 2018, I think it's time to move on to email. So now, after having my representatives fax an official letter and supplying them with the representative's name and phone number for further questions, they demand a notarized form stating that I am no longer employed with this company. Because I was technically an independent contractor for the delivery service, it states that I am "self-employed". However, without this company, I am unable to be paid.

So if I have an official letter stating that I am no longer working, there is no point in me continuing to make deliveries because I will not get paid for said deliveries. This company has done nothing but purposefully misinterpret every step of the way and when I switch the car over to my name I will never go back to The Hartford. I am spreading the word to as many people as possible. Do NOT use The Hartford. They treat their customers extremely poorly and have terrible communication skills.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had not shopped car insurance for several years. I contacted Hartford through AARP and was extremely pleased with assistance that I receive. Great reputation and I experienced great Customer Service. I lowered my rate, and obtained a higher level over coverage.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Claim was reviewed in a timely manner while my auto was sent to the approved shop for repair. I am a former employee of The Hartford, in Worker's Compensation, I get insurance coverage but not at any discount rate. I do think that the coverage I receive is top notch and the rates are extremely competitive, as I do shop around. I am 65 and my rates have gone up so I will shop around again and see what I find. I am also thinking of driving for Uber, so that could make a big difference also.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Stay away from Hartford Insurance/home or auto. Just because it is promoted from AARP, doesn't mean it is cheap!!! They are rude and improper!!! I joined Progressive Insurance for my Auto and saved $1200.00. Then they lied to me about my condo and released me... which was a blessing! I also saved for my Home Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

After retirement we decided to go with the Hartford because they are a part of AARP. BIG mistake! We have a lapse in coverage and needed an SR-22. We were told that they would send this off. Of course they didn't do it. After receiving a letter from the DMV I contacted the Hartford and was told that they would have to look into it and get back ahold of me. No one CALLED! So a week later I remembered I hadn't heard back from them and called. I was told that they are CANCELLING my policy! I was told, "We don't insure people like you!" I asked if I'm cancelled, where was my letter of cancellation so I knew to get a new policy. I was told that even 1 week later they haven't even drafted a letter to us, it would go out in the next few weeks. By the time the letter would have gotten to me my policy would have lapsed! You guys are so screwed up!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After retirement we searched for affordable insurance to cover our main home, a rental home and also our auto's. The Hartford was reasonable. Four years later I called the Hartford to try to get cheaper policies. The rates still seemed high after review with higher deductibles. So I shopped around and found a much better rate. Rather than call and cancel with Hartford I chose to let the policies just run out. Not a problem until I received a late notice by several days for our rental. I called the Harford to make sure it was cancelled. Apparently calling was a big mistake. I was now charged for a policy extension, a late fee and service fees and the threat of being sent to collections. My lesson learned. Don't insure with The Hartford.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

My son was hit by a 90+ y/o driver that has insurance from The Hartford. #1, why are they even insuring 90+ y/o drivers? I received my initial settlement offer from The Hartford, specifically Johnny ** and it wasn't even for the correct vehicle edition. Nor did they give me credit for any aftermarket parts and only provided me an extreme depreciated value for the 1 week old, less than 1,000 mile wheels and tires I had just placed on the vehicle. I informed them of this and he told me I could research the correct vehicle type and submit it to them along with any receipts I had for the aftermarket parts.

After 2 emails and 3 phones calls, I finally received a secondary offer that was extremely depreciated values of our aftermarket parts, wheels and tires as well as below value for our truck. We only wanted to be made whole through this process and now to re-buy a similar truck, aftermarket parts, wheels and tires, we will be out over $3,000. This company sucks, they only provide the bare minimum of reimbursement, of which will not cover the actual work or damage to fix your vehicle. Still battling them over the medical claim that left my son in casts on both wrist and unable to swim during his junior season and possibly forgo scholarships that have been presented to him. Stay clear of The Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The AARP Hartford program is advertised as not raising your rate for an accident. FALSE ADVERTISING!!! I had caused some damage to my vehicle and just found out my car insurance went up 30% for the renewal!! This is usurious!! Stay away from this company!!! Additionally I tried to place my homeowners insurance with the Hartford. The idiot agent refused to sell large enough coverage to actually insure my home. They are a horrible company to do business with.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

We paid monthly through our account via auto pay. Our account was compromised by scammer at gas pump, therefore we were sent new cards. Unknown to us a payment was not paid. Hartford made no timely effort to notify us that payment was not made. We were notified August 1st. for a June payment. When we called to rectify situation, we were told we were cancelled. We unknowingly went one month without insurance. If an accident had occurred during that month we would have sued them, because we could have proven there was very poor effort of notification to us. That is a weird way to run a business.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I was hit at a stop light by a 90 year old driver and caused a 4 car pileup. The old man had this company and after the claim was filed they said to get estimates on the work my car needed, it came up to $4500. They said they were only covering $3100 and that they needed the shop to send them the photos. They did and refuse to cover it after they told me to get it done. Now that it has been repaired they say they needed to see it. Ryan ** and Alyssa ** are liars. I hope to God one of their clients don't hit you or they will do the same to you.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I recently got a letter from them saying my umbrella policy would not be renewed. They gave 4 claims in the last 5 years, but in none of those claims was the accident my fault. Three of them was where I was not even driving my car, parked, or was sitting in it with the engine turned off. On the fourth one, there was no damage to either car, so no claim was ever processed, but they still counted that against me. I brought that up with a representative, but they could not explain why I was treated so unfairly. Their remark was "that's our underwriter department." So that's why I am discontinuing my business relationship with them.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I was hit by someone with The Hartford policy. Not surprising the other driver lied and said it wasn't his fault. My main issue was the adjuster for Hartford who continuously lied to me. She told me that they were trying to determine liability and took statements and my evidence from the accident and then told me the only considered was his statement. I went through the unpleasantness of giving a statement and getting evidence proving that their client was at fault which she said would be considered and then told me only his statement determined their decision about liability. Do Not Trust These People.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I was notified by my bank that our monthly car insurance rate had increased by $26.00 for no reason except that the State of Kansas had revalued the accident rates due to texting and inattentive driving caused by OTHER drivers not by my husband or myself!

Hartford - Auto Company Information