Get a Quote

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.2/5 (217 ratings)

About Hartford - Auto

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

Pros

• Available nationwide
  • Well-established company
  • Specialized coverage for seniors

Cons

• Expensive for young drivers
  • Some benefits for AARP members only

Bottom Line

The Hartford is an insurance company that specializes in covering drivers ages 50 and above. It partners with AARP to provide members benefits and discounts. It’s available across the U.S. and offers a variety of policy options.

What is The Hartford auto insurance?

The Hartford is an insurance company that’s available nationwide and specializes in covering senior citizens. The Hartford partners with AARP to offer its members affordable insurance with exclusive discounts. While the company has policies for a wide variety of clients through independent agents, it’s most ideal for AARP members; its car insurance might not be as budget-friendly for young drivers and non-AARP members.

How does The Hartford auto insurance work?

The Hartford offers standard auto insurance policies, as well as some add-on coverages. Standard auto protection options from The Hartford include:

• Bodily injury liability: Helps with the other party’s injury expenses due to an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Pays for damages to someone’s property by an accident you caused.
  • Personal injury protection: Covers losses due to injury from a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
  • Collision: Covers the cost of your vehicle repairs after an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Pays for damages to your vehicle caused by factors other than an accident (vandalism, flood, fire, theft, animal collision and more).
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Protects you and your passengers if you’re in an accident with a person who has insufficient coverage or no insurance at all.

Supplemental coverage options from The Hartford include:

• Full glass coverage: Helps with the cost of window repairs.
  • Car towing coverage: Pays for towing and labor.
  • Rental car expense: Covers vehicle rental costs if your car is in the shop due to an accident.
  • Personal umbrella insurance: Pays for claim amounts exceeding your auto policy’s liability coverage.

The Advantage option for AARP members also includes:

• 12-month rate protection
  • RecoverCare assistance after an accident
  • New car replacement coverage
  • Lifetime car repair assurance
  • 24/7 claims hotline

The Advantage Plus plan provides even more benefits:

• First accident forgiveness
  • Disappearing collision deductible
  • Deductible waiver for a not-at-fault accident
  • $100 collision deductible reduction
  • Emergency expense coverage

Not all policy options are available in every state.

The Hartford auto insurance quotes and costs

Car insurance costs depend on your age, gender, driving history, location and more. Senior drivers tend to get lower rates than average because they’re more experienced drivers. The Hartford also offers auto coverage discounts for:

• Anti-theft devices
  • Defensive driver courses
  • Bundling policies
  • Paying in full

The Hartford auto insurance FAQ

Is The Hartford car insurance only for AARP members?
The Hartford’s auto coverage is an option for all drivers, but it provides more discounts and benefits for AARP members.
Does The Hartford have accident forgiveness?
Yes. The Hartford offers accident forgiveness as part of its Advantage Plus package.
Where is The Hartford car insurance available?
Car insurance from The Hartford is available nationwide, though policies and offerings vary by state.
Does The Hartford have full coverage car insurance plans?
Yes, The Hartford does offer full coverage car insurance — keep in mind that each state has its own coverage requirements and minimums.

Is The Hartford a good insurance company?

The Hartford is a well-established business with more than 200 years of experience, and its partnership with AARP helps it cater to drivers 50 and older. If you meet The Hartford’s target demographic and have an AARP membership, it might be a great auto coverage option for you — however, if you don’t have an AARP membership or are a younger driver, you likely can find a better deal elsewhere.

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Very professional staff. Top notch when my car was totaled last year. Kept me updated on what was happening. Had a rental car the very next day. Car was no bought to me so you didn’t have to worry how I was going to get the rental. All paperwork was done. Very efficient.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The Hartford isn't for everyone but for smart seniors, it's the only one. My policy was due for renewal, I shopped around making sure they were still my best option. I only appreciated them more! Their mascot's a buck but they're to the point. (Pun intended!) Their advertising leads with what they offer. No annoying, IRRELEVANT emu, gecko, or weird people in baker's aprons avoiding issues of what they're actually trying to sell.

The Hartford has friendly, knowledgeable customer service reps eager to be helpful. They offer discounts for bundling & driver courses to keep skills sharp. Accident free vanishing deductibles & road service included. Enrolled in AARP, you'll receive monthly informational magazine. A long time business, they're a most respected insurer for reason. I drive affordably confident knowing that The Buck has my got my back!

Original review: July 26, 2020

We have been with the Hartford insurance for a few years and have been very happy with their service. Fortunately we haven't had to use their service for anything but any time we have contacted them they have always been very helpful and courteous to us. We've been with other insurance companies in the past but so far we are happy with the Hartford.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really love Hartford insurance. Great reputation. Affordable coverage. Really good umbrella policies. Many payment options. Super-duper really good customer service. They care about their customers and they always work with you if your payment is going to be late.

Original review: July 8, 2021

On June 10th 9:30 am I was reared ended by Hartford insured on San Bruno Ave and 280 (Carolyn ** DL # **) Residing at **. Police report filed. So, I drove my car from San Bruno to All State to file a claim and I was turn down by my agent telling me to file a claim against Hartford. From there I called the Doctor to tell him that I have been hurt and my hand is really hurting me bad. He called his brother who worked for the towing truck, came, picked towed my car to the S&T International Auto body in San Francisco. Which I was not aware there would be a storage high storage fee. So, my car was inspected and in 26 day I was told the car cannot be fixed.

This where the problem starts now. I got an email from Hartford and saying that they can’t help me, "Cause our policy has limit. You need to file a claim against your insurance to ours." So, I did it same day. Friday, they did an inspection on my car, came out with the value of the car and till same day I got call a from the body shop saying who is responsible for this storage fee. I had no idea what was this storage fee they talking about so far, I am paying rental from my pocket because I don’t have rental coverage in my policy.

No one is helping me and my car is stuck in this body shop cause the leasing company where I lease my car need to get paid also. Causing I am leasing this car. I am without a car and I am losing money day by day which is not my fault this accident happened. My life has been turned upside down and my stress level and anxiety level has gone so high.. I am sick. My hand hurts from the accident. My neck problem have gone so worst. I can’t sleep at night. Worry about all this and crying. None of this is my fault and I am suffering day by day. My next step would be if I can call California Insurance Dept and talk to them about this. My life depends on my car cause this is how I make money and pay my bills.

Original review: May 18, 2021

After being a auto insurance customer for 2 years. No claims, No changes, Paid premium in full, Under 4K miles per year driving.... Hartford then raised my policy 15%. or $118 per yr. The cost of living for 2021 is only 1.3 %.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Multiple phone calls, multiple requests, multiple re-requests for documentation after documentation to try to cancel The Hartford Car insurance through AARP. Once you sign up good look cancelling - they will never let you go. My Dad died on Jan 8 - His car was sold 12/2/2020. I am trying to take care of affairs and cancel car insurance - but they just keep sending me paperwork - after I already submitted paperwork. Complete runaround and complete lack of customer services after policyholder has died.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Got the "get a quote and get a free duffel bag". Went online, got the quote. Did not include collision, and The Hartford failed to tell me that. So cancelled out. But no way to get duffel bag. If I can remember, NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I have been receiving marketing flyers, cards email etc.. for lower Auto insurance rate for AARP member from Hartford. So, I decided to get the quote from them. I was quoted $2187 annual rate by HARTFORD compare to my existing auto insurance from State Farm of $1044 annually with same coverage. If it was few Dollar difference is understandable but more than 50% higher? And they claim to offer discounted rates to Seniors and AARP members. Total rip off and deceiving the senior community via false marketing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

After 30 years with AARP Hartford Auto. We had to seek a more affordable company. Being 85 and a former Military Officer we switched to USAA at 1/3 of the former premium. We informed Hartford before policy due date and one month later they required written notice, which we did. Now they have send repeated bills and threatened collection! We now have filed a complaint with the Oregon Insurance Commission to stop collection harassment and settle the issue!

Hartford - Auto Company Information