4.0/5 (599 ratings)

About Hartford - Auto

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

Pros

• Available nationwide
  • Well-established company
  • Specialized coverage for seniors

Cons

• Expensive for young drivers
  • Some benefits for AARP members only

Bottom Line

The Hartford is an insurance company that specializes in covering drivers ages 50 and above. It partners with AARP to provide members benefits and discounts. It’s available across the U.S. and offers a variety of policy options.

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I have been receiving marketing flyers, cards email etc.. for lower Auto insurance rate for AARP member from Hartford. So, I decided to get the quote from them. I was quoted $2187 annual rate by HARTFORD compare to my existing auto insurance from State Farm of $1044 annually with same coverage. If it was few Dollar difference is understandable but more than 50% higher? And they claim to offer discounted rates to Seniors and AARP members. Total rip off and deceiving the senior community via false marketing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

After 30 years with AARP Hartford Auto. We had to seek a more affordable company. Being 85 and a former Military Officer we switched to USAA at 1/3 of the former premium. We informed Hartford before policy due date and one month later they required written notice, which we did. Now they have send repeated bills and threatened collection! We now have filed a complaint with the Oregon Insurance Commission to stop collection harassment and settle the issue!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I called Hartford Auto Insurance in August of 2020 to file a claim to replace my windshield. I have had insurance with Hartford for almost 2 years. I have full coverage and they told me I have a $500 deductible. They said they could repair it for free but if something went wrong I would have to replace the windshield and pay $500.00. I have lived in Charleston SC for 12 years and have had my windshield replaced by other insurance companies for free. So when Hartford told me that I thought maybe the law had changed. I TRUSTED that Hartford knew what state I lived in and knew the law since they are in the business of insurance across the country!

I scheduled Safelite to come to my house to repair the windshield. The technician explained due to the many chips in my windshield and being close together that there was a big chance that the windshield might crack during repair. He advised me to replace the windshield, I said I did not want to pay the $500 deductible. The tech said if you have full coverage there should not be a deductible in the state of Carolina. I told the tech I talked to two people from Hartford at two different times and they both told me I had a $500 deductible. The technician said he had a client yesterday who was told the same thing by Hartford, Safelite called Hartford and Harford waived that person's deductible.

The tech said he could have their office call Hartford to confirm my full coverage policy. I told them to call. Safelite called me and had Hartford on the phone with them. Hartford said they will waive the deductible for me. I asked Hartford, "Why did you tell me I had a deductible when I called in???" I said, "Do you not see my address on your screen and know what state I live in?? and that with full coverage in SC the windshield is free replacement". Hartford said "No I am in Illinois and we cannot see that you are in SC, we only go by what we see on the screen and it shows you have a deductible". I said, "So unless we the policy holder or the company replacing the windshield TELLS YOU what state we are in and that our law is a free windshield with full coverage you have no idea of this." She said yes. I said, so I wonder how many people in SC that is not aware this law has paid Hartford $500 for a replacement windshield!!!!

My trust went right out the door for this company. By not flagging their system to recognize SC law they just treat every state the same and see how many people they can steal from. I told the lady at Hartford I would be cancelling my policy with them because I would never be able to trust them again. As much technology there is you cannot tell me Hartford cannot flag their system for South Carolina policy holders. This is FRAUD!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

After being on hold twice before up to an hour, not 15 minutes and counting with The most awful on hold repetitive ditty. Was told there are multiple complaints about the music. Their app doesn't work, and reps blame my phone. I have all the driving records on my phone, so it is the hook up. Galaxy Note 10. shouldn't be an issue. Threats to cancel the deduction.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Very professional staff. Top notch when my car was totaled last year. Kept me updated on what was happening. Had a rental car the very next day. Car was no bought to me so you didn’t have to worry how I was going to get the rental. All paperwork was done. Very efficient.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The Hartford isn't for everyone but for smart seniors, it's the only one. My policy was due for renewal, I shopped around making sure they were still my best option. I only appreciated them more! Their mascot's a buck but they're to the point. (Pun intended!) Their advertising leads with what they offer. No annoying, IRRELEVANT emu, gecko, or weird people in baker's aprons avoiding issues of what they're actually trying to sell.

The Hartford has friendly, knowledgeable customer service reps eager to be helpful. They offer discounts for bundling & driver courses to keep skills sharp. Accident free vanishing deductibles & road service included. Enrolled in AARP, you'll receive monthly informational magazine. A long time business, they're a most respected insurer for reason. I drive affordably confident knowing that The Buck has my got my back!

Original review: July 26, 2020

We have been with the Hartford insurance for a few years and have been very happy with their service. Fortunately we haven't had to use their service for anything but any time we have contacted them they have always been very helpful and courteous to us. We've been with other insurance companies in the past but so far we are happy with the Hartford.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I really love Hartford insurance. Great reputation. Affordable coverage. Really good umbrella policies. Many payment options. Super-duper really good customer service. They care about their customers and they always work with you if your payment is going to be late.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The Hartford is a petty fair priced insurance company, I shop around for a while. The price was about half the price compared to any other insurance, and it was their price was for a full year and better policy.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Two weeks after I joined Hartford announced my insurance would be 50% higher than what the contract said, and threatened to tell the state (and my mortgage company) that I'd gone two weeks without insurance if I didn't pay the new price. The most brazenly dishonest company I've ever heard of -- and AARP promotes it!

Original review: July 1, 2020

I joined AARP and decided to get a quote on auto insurance to lower my payments. When I finished the process, I received an alert that they can't offer coverage for me at this time. I received a letter in the mail stating that because of two "driving incidents" they denied coverage. One dated 11/2/19 and another dated 1/27/20. I couldn't remember any incidents. I called. He told me that it was for ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE claim I had for my dead battery! I have road side assistance on Geico, and when my car wouldn't start, I called for help. Hartford counted this against me and denied coverage!!! I can't even believe it! THIS COMPANY STINKS!

Original review: May 19, 2020

Initially the price of this insurance was great. Then a fender bender happened and our rates skyrocketed. Hartford claimed an issue from 5 years prior, plus the current fender bender was the cause for the increase in rates. We were not insured with Hartford from the previous incident 5 years earlier. We shopped around and chose Allstate. Hartford then charged us hundreds of dollars to get out of their policy!! I would definitely NOT recommend Hartford.

Original review: May 12, 2020

My spouse and I have great driving records. After MANY emails and letters, we finally decided to try Hartford. We found the pricing not any better than three other major insurance companies. The policy lasts one year, which is supposed to be a plus, but we got that from Amica as well. Claims is a disaster! All I had was a cracked windshield and they turned it into a big deal. Their agents are polite, but their process stinks.

As a senior staying home due to Covid-19, Hartford wanted me to go to Safelite's location for the replacement! So much for stay at home, stay safe! No mention of the mobile glass repair service that most people use. (Now a few years ago when I went to my local Safelite office for a chip repair, I sat in a dirty lounge for nearly 5 hours as other customers came and went. Finally, they realized my promised repair time of 30 to 40 minutes had not been met--even that time is longer than most of their competitors to fix a chip. They gave me free wipers for the inconvenience. Woopie!)

The first "Hartford" (in quotes because they might have been a Safelite employee) agent I talked to confirmed a date and time with Safelite. It was six days later! I even had a call back from the agent confirming it. The morning for the appointment arrives and nothing. No call or email to confirm. One hour into my 5 HOUR window--worse than cable TV or Internet installation, I contact Safelite's robocall customer service system which tells me they have no service call scheduled with me, at all, on any day. I call Hartford back. Again polite agent who confirms that I called, but no appointment was scheduled? What? She didn't know why. Then, she tried to get me to go to Safelite for the repair. Ugh! Really?

Glass customer claims are managed by Safelite. I imagine for 3 reasons, 1) save Hartford money, 2) send business to Safelite, 3) kickback to Hartford? Safelite's priorities seem simple, get as many Hartford glass claims as possible and save money by sending seniors out to their repair/retail locations. Customer service/convenience is not the primary goal.

I remain hopeful that this appointment will be honored. I also think, once here, the repair person will do a very good job. But, I guess that this experience has failed to demonstrate to me any compelling reason why my switching to Hartford was a better choice than Amica or Geico who both really want our business. How did they get in bed with AARP? I'm just glad my claim wasn't for an accident. I hope those agents aren't pushing a company like glass folks do.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I had my 2011 perfect condition Subaru with 50k miles totaled in a freak flood. The AARP Hartford auto had low balled the claim by a couple thousand of dollars. They do this by hiring a third party whose methodology is grossly negligent is creating a valuation from "comparable" vehicles. Their fraudulent scheme includes only cars with over 100k of mileage and then doing a modest adjustment for a low mileage vehicle. This certainly does not work for a high demand Japanese Subaru. The vendor also subtracts from the valuation the list price of useless accessories like tinting, moon roofs, etc. It is disgraceful and I intend to take this up with AARP which brands this auto insurance.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I switched to Hartford a month ago and still have not received policy and or I.D. cards. I have called over half dozen times and they keep saying they have no control over mail delivery. One Rep had the nerve to suggest I have police call them if I got stopped. They are totally unprofessional and incompetent. I am so sorry I switched companies. The savings are not worth dealing with Hartford. Just say NO.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I have multiple policies with Hartford on top of all the policies I have set up for my elderly family members from home, auto, worker’s compensation and life insurance policies. Hartford continued to raise mine and my family’s rates for no reason. So now from last year with my worker’s compensation insurance they decided to drop me, I was fine as I was paying more than I should have. My policy cancelled last November and then I get an audit request having to show my finances for the last year which were exactly what I forecasted. Now due to the audit I had to pay another $384 for a policy I no longer have and not 1 person could explain why. So I got a quote for the year, I paid it, never filed a claim and now I have to pay more?

I have already moved all my other policies and the rest of my family is next. I already saved over $400/yr just on my homeowners and I have way better auto coverage for cheaper. So nice work Hartford! You will be losing about a total of 14 policies between me and my family so say goodbye to over $12,000 a year from my family alone and anyone I find that has your policies. I work in the Insurance industry and I know what you have done is wrong. I have never had to do an audit for other worker’s compensation policies I have had over the last 20 years. BETRAYED! It’s pretty much like paying to go stay at a Resort for an agreed price, I pay the price. Then when I get home they call and say I owe more money.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Just bought a 2016 Tesla S 75 that has 19,000 miles. Truly one of the safest cars to drive. So safe that many insurance companies give a discount for Tesla owners. Instead, Hartford, whom I’ve been with for years refuses to insure my car! I very suddenly have to scramble to find new insurance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I had The Hartford for 11 years. Every year my rates increased, at first it was around $100 to $150 a year until the last three years it was around $300 or more per year. I have two older vehicles, 2003 and 2006 Hyundai's. I do not carry collision on either one and they wanted $2300 for this next year. I called a very well known, reputable insurance company that quoted me $539 for 6 months for both vehicles and with the same coverage. This was over a $1200 savings for the year. I feel like I have been taken advantage of by The Hartford for several years until I had finally had it with them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Takes forever to get anything done. Have called and called and when someone does finally call back and leave a number, I immediately return their call and only get a recording. When with State Farm car would be repaired within a couple of weeks. With Hartford, repair work has not even been scheduled in well over two weeks. Also have no idea of when it will even be!

Have only had maybe two or three auto claims in over 50 years of driving, Fortunately this is the first with Hartford. It takes a very long time to even have an adjuster return a call much less answer any questions. It has been very difficult for repair company to get anyone from Hartford to return a call. Don’t believe they have even talked yet in over two weeks. Very, very dissatisfied and frustrated with Hartford. Hopefully it will not take more than a month to finally get repair work at least started. Very, very dissatisfied with Hartford.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Very bad customer service experience and forced hidden fees for small business insurance. They are just low life crooks. Stay away from that kind of company for any type of insurance. You will get robbed!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I switched to Hartford insurance after seeing the "GREAT,COMMERCIALS"... Unfortunately commercials are MUCH BETTER than the insurance! I had an idiot pull right in front of of me. Rather than hit him him I chose the curb and locking my brakes, so not my fault.... Right. They totally IGNORED MY CLAIM, When I called to see what was going on NO RECORD I HAD CALLED!... They done the same thing! After second call!..., I had full coverage, no prior accidents EVER with anyone. It done damage to frame so my car was totalled! These people want ONE THING! YOUR MONEY!! Look at the rest of the people who had these losers, Beware Beware Beware!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

One response received to an 11% rate increase when I have had no claims, no accidents in over 35 years: "A change in a driver’s age may impact a policy price, as some age groups have been shown to have a higher propensity of having an accident or being injured in an accident." As I am in excellent health both mentally and physically, taking no medications, the remark about is offensive and discriminatory. Another offensive remark: "In order to remain solvent and to protect the interests of all of our policyholders, we may periodically adjust the cost of certain coverage based upon our loss experience with policyholders in that state."

This statement is no different than stating I am ** versus **, Italian versus Irish, or Jewish versus Catholic. Discrimination in any form as above is discrimination. The gouging price increases has to do with executive greed. Christopher Swift the CEO, for example, took $13,080,905 in total compensation with $4,675,000 was received as a bonus last year. Is this detailed enough? Bottom Line, The Hartford discriminates against customers by gouging on their premiums in order for their executives to earn outrageous multi million dollar annual incomes.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The claims process was slow with a very unresponsive and unfair adjuster. Then the adjuster reduced the body shop estimate by over 50% because I wanted to cash out rather than get the repairs done. I even obtained a second estimate to validate the first one. This is unethical and totally against all insurance regulations. NEVER EVER USE The Hartford Company for ANY insurance. They're glad to collect your premium but totally unfair when it comes to settling claims.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

They love your money. When it comes to file a valid claim they seem to sidestep the issue and throw it back in your face like it’s your fault. Been a paying auto and home insured customer for over 15 years and was sold a policy with mechanical breakdown insurance. When our double ovens failed to work after less than five years they would not stand behind the coverage as stated in the policy. Bye bye Hartford. Hello State Farm.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I spoke to a Claims adjuster by phone regarding an accident where I was hit by one of their insured. The call was recorded by them and the adjuster stated, after me providing the details about the accident, that Hartford would be accepting liability and advised me to get an estimate. He provided a name and address of a paint a body shop they worked with in my area. He also asked if I would need a rent a car and whether I wanted to Hartford to send the repair payment to me or should they settle with the body shop. I advised they could pay directly to the body shop.

I received a call a few days later from the adjuster stating they would not accept liability in full. I said, "You have already accepted liability in a previous call." He of course denied it. I asked to hear the recording because I was 100% sure he had accepted liability. He said I could not hear the recorded statement. I asked to speak to his manager. When she and I spoke she said basically the same thing, that I am not privy-ed to this recording. It is my voice on the recording and I should be able to hear this recording. By not allowing me to hear the recording alludes to the fact that adjuster did in fact stated they accept liability.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

When we hit a deer that ran in front of us and totaled the car, Hartford was quick in taking care of us. I think it was less than a week, we was paid so we could get another car to replace the totaled car.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

We have been insured with this company for many years. We have had claims over the years which have been settled without any problems. We also have a package deal which includes our home insurance (total of three properties) and vehicle insurance. We have no local agent, all business is conducted online or by phone which has worked out well over the years. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Had this company through AARP for 5+ years and things were great until I filed a claim. The claim was paid promptly and fairly, but my next premium notice went up about 100%. I'd never had a claim before so we "promptly" dropped them and went to Texas Farm Bureau!

Hartford - Auto Company Information