Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Hartford - Auto

Hartford - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.27/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Hartford - Auto Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I switched to Hartford insurance after seeing the "GREAT,COMMERCIALS"... Unfortunately commercials are MUCH BETTER than the insurance! I had an idiot pull right in front of of me. Rather than hit him him I chose the curb and locking my brakes, so not my fault.... Right. They totally IGNORED MY CLAIM, When I called to see what was going on NO RECORD I HAD CALLED!... They done the same thing! After second call!..., I had full coverage, no prior accidents EVER with anyone. It done damage to frame so my car was totalled! These people want ONE THING! YOUR MONEY!! Look at the rest of the people who had these losers, Beware Beware Beware!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

One response received to an 11% rate increase when I have had no claims, no accidents in over 35 years: "A change in a driver’s age may impact a policy price, as some age groups have been shown to have a higher propensity of having an accident or being injured in an accident." As I am in excellent health both mentally and physically, taking no medications, the remark about is offensive and discriminatory. Another offensive remark: "In order to remain solvent and to protect the interests of all of our policyholders, we may periodically adjust the cost of certain coverage based upon our loss experience with policyholders in that state."

This statement is no different than stating I am ** versus **, Italian versus Irish, or Jewish versus Catholic. Discrimination in any form as above is discrimination. The gouging price increases has to do with executive greed. Christopher Swift the CEO, for example, took $13,080,905 in total compensation with $4,675,000 was received as a bonus last year. Is this detailed enough? Bottom Line, The Hartford discriminates against customers by gouging on their premiums in order for their executives to earn outrageous multi million dollar annual incomes.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The claims process was slow with a very unresponsive and unfair adjuster. Then the adjuster reduced the body shop estimate by over 50% because I wanted to cash out rather than get the repairs done. I even obtained a second estimate to validate the first one. This is unethical and totally against all insurance regulations. NEVER EVER USE The Hartford Company for ANY insurance. They're glad to collect your premium but totally unfair when it comes to settling claims.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I spoke to a Claims adjuster by phone regarding an accident where I was hit by one of their insured. The call was recorded by them and the adjuster stated, after me providing the details about the accident, that Hartford would be accepting liability and advised me to get an estimate. He provided a name and address of a paint a body shop they worked with in my area. He also asked if I would need a rent a car and whether I wanted to Hartford to send the repair payment to me or should they settle with the body shop. I advised they could pay directly to the body shop.

I received a call a few days later from the adjuster stating they would not accept liability in full. I said, "You have already accepted liability in a previous call." He of course denied it. I asked to hear the recording because I was 100% sure he had accepted liability. He said I could not hear the recorded statement. I asked to speak to his manager. When she and I spoke she said basically the same thing, that I am not privy-ed to this recording. It is my voice on the recording and I should be able to hear this recording. By not allowing me to hear the recording alludes to the fact that adjuster did in fact stated they accept liability.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

When we hit a deer that ran in front of us and totaled the car, Hartford was quick in taking care of us. I think it was less than a week, we was paid so we could get another car to replace the totaled car.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I did have a large claim with them and they were prompt and courteous. The conversation between them and the body shop took longer than it should have, but I think that was the body shop to blame. The claim itself was handled expeditiously.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

You pay your premium and then you need to put a claim in one glass, I have a 2017 KIA Sportage with the sound deadening glass from the factory which makes for a very quiet ride. Hartford will only pay for the cheapest glass they can find which is Safelite who makes no OEM glass. They make their own glass. Also look at your policy. They sub it out to other companies that are questionable. Do yourself a favor. Pay a little more and get an agent you won't be just a number!

Original review: July 22, 2019

Don't be fooled by this company. Even though we purchased through AARP, the company increased their rates to almost double what I found elsewhere. We had this on automatic withdrawal, so didn't notice until after several months.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was insured by Hartford for many years during which I had no accidents, no incidents and no issues. After a first claim, an incident for which I was not responsible, I received a renewal [as guaranteed], while the rate had quadrupled. While I figured the renewal rate indicated might have been a mistake, I soon learned that this is how this company operates. They love receiving premiums - AND NO CLAIMS - but if this pattern changes, expect a very different response. Apparently, Hartford seeks to recover the cost of a claim by way of punitively extravagant premium increases. Avoid this outfit, whose image belies a very different pattern of behavior. If you want insurance, rather than a company that only wants to collect premiums, look elsewhere. If not pathetic, this must be the worst possible business model of the entire insurance industry.

Hartford - Auto Company Information