Get a Quote

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.9/5 (152 ratings)

About Hartford - Auto

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

Pros

• Available nationwide
  • Well-established company
  • Specialized coverage for seniors

Cons

• Expensive for young drivers
  • Some benefits for AARP members only

Bottom Line

The Hartford is an insurance company that specializes in covering drivers ages 50 and above. It partners with AARP to provide members benefits and discounts. It’s available across the U.S. and offers a variety of policy options.

Hartford - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hartford - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Just bought a 2016 Tesla S 75 that has 19,000 miles. Truly one of the safest cars to drive. So safe that many insurance companies give a discount for Tesla owners. Instead, Hartford, whom I’ve been with for years refuses to insure my car! I very suddenly have to scramble to find new insurance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I had The Hartford for 11 years. Every year my rates increased, at first it was around $100 to $150 a year until the last three years it was around $300 or more per year. I have two older vehicles, 2003 and 2006 Hyundai's. I do not carry collision on either one and they wanted $2300 for this next year. I called a very well known, reputable insurance company that quoted me $539 for 6 months for both vehicles and with the same coverage. This was over a $1200 savings for the year. I feel like I have been taken advantage of by The Hartford for several years until I had finally had it with them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Takes forever to get anything done. Have called and called and when someone does finally call back and leave a number, I immediately return their call and only get a recording. When with State Farm car would be repaired within a couple of weeks. With Hartford, repair work has not even been scheduled in well over two weeks. Also have no idea of when it will even be!

Have only had maybe two or three auto claims in over 50 years of driving, Fortunately this is the first with Hartford. It takes a very long time to even have an adjuster return a call much less answer any questions. It has been very difficult for repair company to get anyone from Hartford to return a call. Don’t believe they have even talked yet in over two weeks. Very, very dissatisfied and frustrated with Hartford. Hopefully it will not take more than a month to finally get repair work at least started. Very, very dissatisfied with Hartford.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Very bad customer service experience and forced hidden fees for small business insurance. They are just low life crooks. Stay away from that kind of company for any type of insurance. You will get robbed!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I switched to Hartford insurance after seeing the "GREAT,COMMERCIALS"... Unfortunately commercials are MUCH BETTER than the insurance! I had an idiot pull right in front of of me. Rather than hit him him I chose the curb and locking my brakes, so not my fault.... Right. They totally IGNORED MY CLAIM, When I called to see what was going on NO RECORD I HAD CALLED!... They done the same thing! After second call!..., I had full coverage, no prior accidents EVER with anyone. It done damage to frame so my car was totalled! These people want ONE THING! YOUR MONEY!! Look at the rest of the people who had these losers, Beware Beware Beware!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

One response received to an 11% rate increase when I have had no claims, no accidents in over 35 years: "A change in a driver’s age may impact a policy price, as some age groups have been shown to have a higher propensity of having an accident or being injured in an accident." As I am in excellent health both mentally and physically, taking no medications, the remark about is offensive and discriminatory. Another offensive remark: "In order to remain solvent and to protect the interests of all of our policyholders, we may periodically adjust the cost of certain coverage based upon our loss experience with policyholders in that state."

This statement is no different than stating I am ** versus **, Italian versus Irish, or Jewish versus Catholic. Discrimination in any form as above is discrimination. The gouging price increases has to do with executive greed. Christopher Swift the CEO, for example, took $13,080,905 in total compensation with $4,675,000 was received as a bonus last year. Is this detailed enough? Bottom Line, The Hartford discriminates against customers by gouging on their premiums in order for their executives to earn outrageous multi million dollar annual incomes.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The claims process was slow with a very unresponsive and unfair adjuster. Then the adjuster reduced the body shop estimate by over 50% because I wanted to cash out rather than get the repairs done. I even obtained a second estimate to validate the first one. This is unethical and totally against all insurance regulations. NEVER EVER USE The Hartford Company for ANY insurance. They're glad to collect your premium but totally unfair when it comes to settling claims.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I spoke to a Claims adjuster by phone regarding an accident where I was hit by one of their insured. The call was recorded by them and the adjuster stated, after me providing the details about the accident, that Hartford would be accepting liability and advised me to get an estimate. He provided a name and address of a paint a body shop they worked with in my area. He also asked if I would need a rent a car and whether I wanted to Hartford to send the repair payment to me or should they settle with the body shop. I advised they could pay directly to the body shop.

I received a call a few days later from the adjuster stating they would not accept liability in full. I said, "You have already accepted liability in a previous call." He of course denied it. I asked to hear the recording because I was 100% sure he had accepted liability. He said I could not hear the recorded statement. I asked to speak to his manager. When she and I spoke she said basically the same thing, that I am not privy-ed to this recording. It is my voice on the recording and I should be able to hear this recording. By not allowing me to hear the recording alludes to the fact that adjuster did in fact stated they accept liability.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

They are fast and reasonable. They are easy to work with and pay quickly. I have no trouble reaching them when I need them. I believe that they deal honestly. I have read troubling articles about Allstate and Farmers accusing policy holders of fraud just for filing claims. You should be looking into that.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

It was about $600 cheaper than Liberty, that I had had previously. I had them for about 4 years. Before that I had GMAC. It definitely pays to shop around every few years. I tried to get Liberty to match my price from Hartford, but they couldn’t do it.

Hartford - Auto Company Information