Fast Free Quotes

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5
Based on 3,214 ratings submitted in the last year

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Average annual savings of $500 for new policyholders based on a 2018 GEICO national survey
  • Free and easy online quote and buying process
  • Mobile app makes it easy to view policies, request roadside assistance and file claims
  • Competitive rates
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid or electric cars

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

GEICO Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I was in collision on January 2019 which was not my fault. I could not on my own make opposite party insurance pay for damage to my car. Geico promised to pay for all car repair per my insurance policy and file claim for the cost from opposite party. It took a while and I got disheartened thinking Geico is not going to help so I went with other car insurance. But even I was not with Geico any longer, they got refund from opposite party and refunded my portion. I feel like to go back to Geico as they stood for me long after I left. They also have super customer care service who have knowledge and compassion. One of the best insurance company in USA. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My wife and I have used GEICO for a few years and honestly the best insurance is insurance that you don't have to use. Unfortunately we have had to use Geico more in the last couple of years that we've used in 30 years prior. We have NEVER had any issues, My latest wasn't necessarily an accident but an Auto issue. The dealer claimed that several insurance companies handle these claims and some (like State Farm) either do not or they are so hard to work with that they aren't worth it. Geico was nothing but curious, polite, and helpful. They did exactly what they said they would do on time and all was good. I may be cancelled by Geico because of my latest mishap, (I hope not), but they have been great.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been with Geico for 3 years and have never had any issues. I have never had long wait times and their monthly cost as well as coverage seems pretty good. I have 2 vehicles, both with a $250 deductible and pay $110 a month. They do have small monthly payment increases every 6 months, but once you hit year 3, they give you a discount on your monthly cost which is nice. They always have gotten back to me timely on all claims and contacted the bank where I had my load to send a check when my vehicle was totaled. They don't provide renter's insurance, but will set you up with Liberty Mutual in which both of your policies can be managed with a Geico representative for great convenience.

Original review: June 17, 2019

GEICO insured me when no one else would seeing I was a service member returning from overseas assignments. That was 25+ years ago. Over the years, GEICO has been responsive to my needs and has provided excellent personalized service. Once I had hail damage to my vehicle. The next day, GEICO had an insurance adjuster come to assess the damage. He came to my work parking lot to make it easier for me! I received the check for the damage quickly. My rates are very competitive and I might go so far as to say unbeatable. I occasionally get quotes from other insurers and they can’t beat the cost of my coverage with GEICO. My children have also spun off of my policy into their own GEICO policies. They have received comprehensive policies at excellent prices too.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I'm so glad I have a chance to tell someone about our experience with GEICO. We have had other auto insurance but none where we felt as protected. We are notified of every action GEICO takes so there are no surprises. Our payments are super simple and not outrageous. Customer Service is friendly and quick. We did need to use the Roadside Assistance once. We were about 20 miles from our home and our mechanic was just as far, but car just stopped and we were at a loss.

We called GEICO Roadside Assistance who was there under an hour, in fact, under a half hour and GEICO called while we were waiting to make sure we were okay. The truck came and the man was super professional while lifting our truck to be hauled to our mechanic 20 miles away. Our vehicle was lifted on the truck (not pulled) and hauled to our mechanic, no additional charges. It was handled professionally with no stress aside from the vehicle breaking down, no fault of GEICO, who made us nearly forget that we had to face problems with getting car repaired. We have had other insurance companies where we were charged and told about it after the fact or rates go up and we are told about it after. Not with GEICO... we know everything as it happens. So, I am glad we had a chance to tell someone that we really like the way GEICO does business. Great prices, great customer service and we are not alone when out on the road with GEICO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I originally loved Geico, until I filed a claim which I was told directly fell under comprehensive, as exactly how it was outlined. I didn't carry collision. Geico was not sure if the damage was there before my policy, so I showed them proof from security camera footage, and pictures. Once I gave them this missing evidence, they decided to say they changed the claim to collision after 3 months. Geico will use all tactics even if they are still wrong, if they don't think you'll take them to court. I also have all recordings of phone, email, and text, but it's not worth the stress of 1,000$ worth of repair they would have covered.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Geico never sent me notice about taking my road side assistance off my policy. Been with them 2 plus years, I would not recommend anyone to go to that company. I'm leaving as soon as I can. They screwed me over.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Geico only provides reimbursement for off market, non original parts to cover repair. So if you have newer car, stay away from Geico! I have 1 yr old minivan that got rear ended by another driver with Geico insurance. Now I am stuck do repair at their recommended shops which will only cover off market parts and NOT original. So even though it was not my fault, I have to accept their cheap quality options or pay out of my pockets to choose original parts.

My insurance company is StateFarm and they would cover fully with original parts. But if I go through them, it will affect my claim history that is clean right now. Overall, I already feel frustrated having to deal with Geico adjusters. If they do read reviews and care for customers, they won't mind spending few extra bucks to reimburse original parts to claimants who are NOT at fault in accidents. My ID is ** in case they want to contact me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Hit a deer back in September of last year. They filed my claim under collision instead of comprehensive. When I went to have my car fixed I ended up paying 500 (that was my deductible for collision). I was ignorant at the time and assumed that was fair. i had just recently signed up with Geico a couple months prior to that and I honestly forgot what my deductible for comprehensive was. Fast forward to Jan. of this year and I get a letter in the mail about my premium. It is going up by 40-50 dollars because the claim was filed under the wrong category. I have called at least 4-5 times trying to get this issue fixed and have gotten nowhere. I explained to them that I hit an animal, I was not at fault, I did not swerve and hit anything else such as another person or object. They said, "Ok let's send this in to the claims adjuster to take a look at. Give us a couple days."

FIVE DAYS PASS and I call back because I havent heard anything. A different person tells me the same thing. Apologizes for the wait, but says, "Let me contact the claims adjuster again." I said ok. He says give it a couple days. I wait FIVE MORE DAYS and still no reply. i call back and the girl tells me in fact they have heard from the claims adjuster and he denies that I hit an animal based on what he saw that day when looking at my car. He claims to have not seen any evidence such as hair or blood and therefore I did not hit a deer and apparently I'm a liar and it's my fault. I upload four pictures of my car's damages from the morning after it happened and there is clearly animal hair on my car.

I dont know what drugs these claims adjusters are doing but they really need to get their eyesight checked. Not only did I overpay for my car's repairs (I paid 400 more than I should have because they refuse to file it correctly) but now my rates are going up as well. Finally after submitting the photos as proof the last person I spoke to said that she can clearly see animal hair on my car and they will be "reviewing the photos with the claims adjuster and expect to hear back within 24 hours" HA. We all know how that works. I doubt I will hear back from anyone.

What I'd like to have happen is geico or whoever to admit they screwed up and give me my 400 back and lower my rates back. I should not be punished for something that was out of my control. I have a baby on the way and I can not afford to pay over 200 bucks a month for frikkin car insurance. That's simply outrageous.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I called Geico for emergency road service because I needed a towing service. Geico sent me a towing truck. The ignorant tow driver damaged my car big time. So my car was taken to a local dealership for repair. Because my car sat there for repair for 5 business days, I wasn't able to drive for Uber (my main source of income).

I called Geico to claim loss of earnings. Although I lost 5 days of work due to 100% fault by the tow driver (Geico's contractor), Geico did not budge to indemnify or help me go after the tow driver. Think about it in my shoe. I did nothing wrong to my car. I lost 5 days of work because the Geico-selected tow driver damaged my car. Now Geico only covers the repair cost, but not the loss of earnings. Geico has no accountability at all? Geico doesn't care its contractor caused loss of my earnings? Geico only wants your money and evades when you actually need their help.

Not sure about GEICO?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. The company operates its business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if their decision takes time.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor