GEICO

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Geico advertises home insurance but it subcontracts Homesite for its home coverage. I had a leaky washing machine resulting in a flood in the basement and subsequent mold. The total cost of repairs and remediation was about 22,000 after my deductible (2500) and Homesite paid about $6000. Despite failing to fully insure my home the premiums are high: I paid $2400 last year for coverage.

The adjuster failed to return my initial calls, answer my emails, I had to call the central office after a week just to file the claim. She continued to ignore any of my calls or emails, and failed to follow up with requests and later with payment. She (intentionally?) misrepresented some of the receipts in order to avoid reimbursement. The company adjuster told me that the SERVPRO charges would be fully covered and since then SERVPRO has repeatedly sent me bills for $9000. The Homesite adjuster is unresponsive. It's the worst insurance company I've dealt with. Also watch out for "depreciation". Geico has a good car insurance reputation but by partnering with a nefarious home insurer they have damaged their own brand. I am dropping my Geico car insurance and will never purchase from this company again.

Do not support GEICO. They are the worst auto insurance provider in the industry. I filed a vandalism claim and i was treated like the criminal. I submitted phone records, police report, previous pictures of my vehicle as instructed. I took my vehicle for inspection at Service King and was told I could now take my vehicle to repair facility of my choice. I dropped my vehicle off at Sewell Collision and was given a rental and told my vehicle would be complete in 8 days. Enterprise later contacted me stating GEICO refused to pay rental and repair bills. I contacted my adjuster Kathryn ** and was unsuccessful at getting rapid response. She is very unprofessional and interrogated me like a criminal after I followed every request she asked of me. DO NOT SUPPORT GEICO.

Called, set up an appointment with one of GEICO's sponsored repair shops, it was fixed perfectly, and got it back quickly... No questions asked. You cannot go wrong in any way choosing GEICO. I have had insurance through them for 45 years. Put cars on and taken them off easy as pie. I have had two claims when my three first started driving under the ages of 18. They have reduced my rates annually as I avoid accidents, they did not raise my rates after a few kid claims, and they are efficient and their website is absolutely easy to use and understandable.

I will give GEICO this much - when compared to other auto insurance carriers, they had some of the cheapest rates. That being said, there unfortunately was an incident that occurred in December that left me less than pleased with their services. Onus truly is on you to double and triple check your policy because the agent that I originally spoke to over the phone when I originally switched my policy to GEICO assured me that I was properly covered and matched to what I had with my previous carrier. It may have been due to the age of my vehicle (8 years) that this somehow got skipped over but collision was not included on my policy. No biggie except the unimaginable occurred and my vehicle was involved in a hit and run, with the other driver being at fault.

Police came to take the report and the car was towed away with the tow truck driver advising me that my vehicle was totaled - there was damage to the axle, the front bumper was completely mangled and all airbags was deployed. Thankfully no one was seriously injured but what was already a stressful situations was made even worse once their claims representative told me that although I have full comprehensive with glass, collision was not part of my policy so there was nothing they could do for me.

This was a car that did not even have 30,000 miles on it and was in very good condition, so imagine my shock when I was told pretty much "Oh well this is on you to track down the other driver" or deal with the expenses myself. They also tried to upsell me on now adding collision to my policy with no operational car. Also, I had been paying for roadside assistance, so thinking that at least I could be recouped for the towing expense from the accident scene to the collision center. I was also told that no, this is not covered in my roadside assistance.

Two full days of calling and talking to several different representatives from claims, customer service, and underwriting, the takeaway I got from all that hassle was: GEICO does not record conversations so they could not go back to the date I originally spoke to an agent to determine if I had specifically requested for collision not to be included. GEICO also does not solicit or advise you that this is not on your policy so long as the car is not financed or under 7 years of age (my car was already paid off for). There was only a $20 difference had I chosen to include the collision, which to me was so asinine. And finally the roadside assistance wasn't fully explained as to what it truly covered.

Unfortunately since the driver fled the scene I was not able to get any recourse from the other driver's insurance. GEICO also was unwilling to help whatsoever. So for them to think after all of that I would even want to continue dealing with them is beyond crazy. I learnt my lesson the hard way. Just because it is cheaper does not mean it is better in the long run. Beware because it's when things go wrong that is when you truly see the company's true nature.

I used GEICO's breakdown insurance that came with my Auto insurance package a couple of times. They were able to replace my clutch and AC for only a co-pay. It was a straightforward process and it saved me a bunch of money. They are responsive and helpful. They have been the best price I can find for Auto insurance and I have always been treated with respect. Great reputable company for a great price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Took three different representatives to actually be helpful and do their job. First woman complained about Christmas shopping which I never asked about, was just trying to make a claim. Second woman refused to help or answer any questions and basically told me to do everything with dealing with other insurance companies. What's the point of having customer service if you don't help them??? They never contacted me for other information and then blamed me later. These people just don't ** care.

It was as quick and painless as possible. My car was back up and running in just a few days... Good as new. They are great. No problems. I can choose what I want covered. They are very good at what they do.

A simple phone call got the process rolling. The rep also verified that the window replacement would take place in my own garage --- the repair co. came straight to my home, no deductible, short wait, and it was fully covered. The repairman also advised me of some water damage UNDER the roof, where the window meets the frame of the car. Prepared the surface & Applied a sealing compound without charge. A-1 service. All I have to do is make a phone call, no downtime trying to file online, although that is available. It has given us exemplary service, one on one. I am 75. I do NOT like to use the internet for SERVICE for anything, including insurance. The reps are knowledgeable, courteous, and assure me of solutions. The rates are fair, and the company has a history of high integrity.

My car was hit on December 24, 2016. Contacted Geico and they sent me to Enterprise for a rental which is part of my policy. The branch manager Michael was horrible at Enterprise resulting in me leaving without a car. I relay the information to Geico. They explain to me I CAN NOT GET A CAR UNTIL MONDAY BECAUSE IT'S A HOLIDAY. Monday comes no cars are in. I didn't get a car until Monday evening about 7 pm. Geico doesn't have a plan B in case emergencies happen on or around holidays. I pay 152.00 monthly and this is absurd and thoughtless and extremely unprofessional.

I'm in the VW LAWSUIT. I believe I'm getting 5,000$ but that won't cut it. I lost my car due to an accident but fall in time frame. My Vehicle was estimated at 16,000$ but due to the all this happening I only received 11,000$. The lawsuit was known I been fighting with GEICO to get my fair share. They seen it as "oh your car depreciated due to the lawsuit" and I was screwed. In Nevada if the damage is 60% or less they fix your car. They purposely went under the 60% otherwise I would have had my car fixed. It was just 3,000-4,000$ more if they would have done the right thing and paid the blue book at 70,000 miles. My car would have been fixed and I would been able to turn it in for full value of 15-16,000$. I did NOT have a car for months. I was not able to obtain a job because I had no car. It caused stress and every time I talked to GEICO they gave it no thought. They had instant replies in hour or two.

I researched for them - what used cars and trade in values were - they were 15,000-17,000$. I want to sue GEICO for malpractice and using the VW pre lawsuit so they could come just under value and rate my car's REAL value. You can call VW dealerships at that time and they would gave me 15, 17k for a 2013 VW TDI.

I'm going to sue for damages, lies and they caused me stress and put me into debt. I PUT 6,000 INTO THE CAR AND ONLY RECEIVED 10,500. IF ANYONE HAS THIS PROBLEM, KNOWS A GOOD LAW FIRM, LET ME KNOW. I have 2 that say my case is solid. My car should have been fixed but they knew how to get one over on me.

After being a policy holder for over 3 yrs. My bank acct has closed and Geico was not able to auto debit my policy. My policy canceled on 12-26-16. Today I called and the California insurance agent took a payment for 113 in order to reinstate the policy. After the transaction was completed he stated that I need to pay the full amount of 1068 or they cannot issued a policy. I asked "the only reason I paid is because you stated you will reinstate the policy. A monthly debit of 146 per month. The same manner it's been for the past 3 years."

They took my money and they said they will not issued a refund because I owed the money. I explained "I understand but the only reason I will pay you is if you reinstate and you failed to reinstate the policy in the same manner." They took my $ under false pretenses. This insurance company is a fraud. I do not have an insurance and they took my $, I called them 2 times and they said "we will not reversed the charge." Beware. Do not pay them. If your auto debit fails, then they will screwed you and will not offer a monthly payment option. Instead they will ask you for the entire premium.

Because there is no brick and mortar store, GEICO is able to give good rates. Plus if you've been with them for several years, you get accident forgiveness. Sometimes, their call center isn't always the best to communicate - different people; different information. Last year, I needed a form to sign for uninsured motorists. It took several phone saying they had sent the form, and I finally got ONE form in the mail. Don't know who is in charge of sending out forms, but it doesn't work well. However, receiving their bills in the mail, is NO problem - go figure!

The best way to test an insurance company is when you need to file a claim with them. Will they stand by you in the time of need to cover your claim or run like a chicken? We have GEICO for many years for our Auto insurance and GEICO always processed our claims on time and with our satisfaction. They are very professional and always goes above and beyond to process our claims. My wife recently had an accident with another driver who had Allstate auto policy. It was determined that both drivers were equally responsible. GEICO covered 50 percent for both drivers while Allstate denied the claim. This is what Allstate does - runs when they need to pay! On the other hand, GEICO always treated us with respect and paid claims when they had to. They are a responsible company and always gives me and family reasonable rates for the excellent service that they provide.

I filed a claim on an 1995 car. It was close to being a total but they worked with me on it and my car fixed. Like many companies you have to get the automated phone answering system which is a pain. They have a product I can afford and decent service once you get through to a human.

I had a broken windshield 10 years ago. Geico paid for the replacement with no copayment. Now they claim I need to pay $200.00 copay for a recent broken windshield and they never had free windshield replacement. I believe in being honest with the customers. Make sure you understand what exactly is covered.

I have been a long-term auto and home insurance customer with Geico. Despite the fact that I had no claims, I was constantly hit with continuous and dramatic $ increases in both the home and auto insurance rates. The customer service agents were unhelpful and un-empathetic too.

In November 2015, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident resulting in my car being totaled. It was towed to a tow yard and my claim's adjuster was in contact with me right away. Within a couple of weeks, the towing company contacted me and was prepared to release my vehicle but needed verification from Geico to release it. We spoke to our claims adjuster, Kayla **, and was told that Geico would handle everything and we didn't need to worry about it. We assumed this meant Geico would handle everything and we didn't need to worry about it. That was all we heard about it... all other correspondence dealt with the actual accident and not the vehicle.

I bought another car and when I attempted to renew the registration this month, I found out there was a 'wrecker lien' on my license and I would not be able to renew my registration until it was paid. I didn't know what a wrecker lien was and after researching it, I contacted both Geico and the towing company. The towing company explained that not only would I be responsible for paying the cost of the lien, $415.00, but also the cost of the time my vehicle was stored in their lot, which was another 30 days @ $25.00 per day. Once I was finally able to actually speak to someone at Geico, I was told that there was no coverage for this and Geico wasn't responsible for paying. What? Where was my claims adjuster, Kayla **? Surely she could help... after all that's what she assured us when we spoke to her in November 2015. Guess what? Kayla no longer works there. That's great.

The gentleman I spoke with today, 12/28/2016, Nick **, while very polite, was unable to tell me what happened and why we are now responsible for paying all of these extra expenses when we were misinformed by Geico. Clearly, if Geico's employee, Kayla **, had done her job correctly, she would have been able to notify us of the same information that Nick ** told us, and we could have taken care of the situation right away and none of this would be an issue today. I realize that Geico is a very large company and has deep pockets and there is no way they will be convinced they are responsible for the actions of one of their employees, even when it ultimately causes damage to one of their customers, but that is not acceptable. They should be held responsible as it is was one of their employees who misrepresented information, and that places accountability squarely on them.

I approved an amount for my flood insurance and the wrong amount was taken out. I call at night when I had time and one women who stated she was a supervisor was the most incompetent person I ever did business with. Her only solution was that you would have to call back tomorrow. I expect my issue to be taken care of no matter what time I call.

My wife had an accident, and although it was her fault, GEICO walked us through the whole process and made it easier than we had imagined it could be. They dealt with the other party and handled all the payouts for us and them in a very timely manner. Very fair and very little rise in our rates as well. We have never had a problem with the automatic debit, we reassess our insurance needs annually and GEICO is always the best rate (even with the cut-rate places you see on TV). They are very good about getting proof of insurance cards and information to us whenever we ask. Claims process very easy and fast. GEICO has always been responsive, always there when we need them.

My 2015 Jeep Renegade was stolen last Friday the 16th of Dec. 2016. I was heading off to a customer to clean her home and noticed I left the vacuum on the porch. Key in ignition, I got up to the steps approx. 100ft away and turned to see and hear my car peeling out of the driveway. I called police and Geico within 15 min. I live in St Louis MO and shocked that my adjuster was in another state. So she gives me a detailed list of all the things I needed to do like go to police and get a report, fill out a 4 page questionnaire and just did the same one over the phone with her, So that was done 2 times. Since when do I go do all this running to get a report? That's their job. But the report was not available for 10 days and she did not know? But that happens when you get the lazy ones.

Now 4 days later police found abandoned and towed it to impound. No keys in the jeep to start it up and yet on report it says driveable so now this adjuster wants me out of the rental and go pick up my jeep. No one has seen the jeep so why would you let a person claim the car and take a chance they do more damage to it and say it was done when thief stole it? So she has already stopped the rental but I still have it and will have to pay because I do not have a car to get to my cleaning jobs.

I own a cleaning business. And this is a commercial account. The worst experience I have ever had. I have that coverage and pay for it and get to use for 10 days? And don't have mine back yet. But she wants me to go get it. Not sure if it is ok to drive, just going by a police report that says it is driveable without a key. How would they know that? She wants me to take it home and the thief still has my keys so it can be taken again. I really need some advice here because this is unreal. I can't believe an insurance co would put a customer through all this. Is this legal? Anything I can do? Should I go get the car before the adjuster has even seen it? Then again. I do not know if it is running.

It was easy to file a claim and the claims representative were extremely helpful. They worked diligently to ensure the best outcome for me. There were no less than five different departments who got involved in my claim. I was so impressed with their determination to settle this claim to my favor. I was involve in an incident wherein I had stopped at a stop sign and proceeded ahead because I saw nothing coming on either side of my vehicle... as I crossed not a cross walk my car was suddenly propelled by a huge thud. I managed to steer my car and gain control landing onto of someone front lawn. I had no idea what hit me and after gathering my thoughts I went in search as to what happened. It seems a car had been speeding down a side street and hugging the left side of the road and crashed into my right rear tire... it was really odd.

The driver =, young female refused to take responsibility for her actions saying that it was I who had the Stop Sign not her... which was correct. But as I stated when I proceeded ahead after stopping at the Stop Sign there was nothing in my sight to indicate an oncoming vehicle. I took numerous photos and Geico stood beside my claim... ultimately, based on the law not the circumstances the case was not decided in my favor... due to the fact that I had the Stop Sign and she didn't. But they knew it was her that was in the wrong and I was not penalized with any rate increase as I have an exemplary driving records. So I think anyone who chooses to insure the vehicle, home, etc with GEICO would be making a very good decision.

Christmas ruined. I recently opened a policy with Geico online. I agreed to a payment of $203.00 I found out the following day that the complete policy payment had drafted from my account. This put me in the negative and has of now created $216.00 in overdraft fees. Never open a policy online!!!

I have moved from different state to MA and reviewed my Auto policy. I was told that I need to pay $218 if I pay monthly or If I am paying in the full I will receive the discount of $30 and I need to pay Only $188. I enquired the same with the customer service multiple times and I received the same answer. To my surprise, after paying $188, I am seeing $30 as pending. I called the customer service to check but I am not receiving any proper answer. They are very adamant and not ready to listen whatever I say. They are saying that I need to pay the amount. My advice is never go to GEICO for policy. There are may other insurance people providing good insurance. Don't lose your hard earned money.

I was rear-ended on Gandy Blvd early this year. Waited an hour. Cops never showed up and I still had to get to work. I initiated a claim as I finished driving to work. By the time I pulled into my parking lot 20 minutes later, the agent I spoke with eased my mind, had appointments set, and followed through. Great customer service. The repairs look great from the outside, however, months later when I had to use my spare tire after a flat, I realized the well in the trunk for the spare is still badly dented. I blame the repair shop for the unrepaired wheel well, not the insurance company. They were great this time. I realize the agents make all the difference and by going to their recommended shop I wasn't charged out of pocket, though, obviously, the repairs weren't up to par.

I recommend going with Geico but, if you get in an accident and need car repairs, do your homework first. Get your local shop that you'd usually go to and trust to give you a detailed quote on the problems and cost to fix, then save your paperwork and make sure the repairs were all done as ordered, regardless of which repair shop you end up going with. In my case the Geico recommended shop said there was additional damage they hadn't seen until they removed the bumper. They kept my car an additional day or so to fix it but never mentioned or repaired the spare tire well. I don't remember it being on the repair description, either, so I don't think they charged Geico. Hopefully it's just cosmetic and doesn't start to rust. Again, I blame the shop and not Geico. The agents at Geico were really great and I do recommend this company. Best rates and best customer service.

Geico is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They lowballed the value of my totalled car so I took a loss on it. They took forever to get back to me. Didn't return my calls or email. I've since spoken with others who've had the same experience with Geico. They clearly spend their money (our money, really that we pay in premiums) on advertising and as little as possible on claims. It turns my stomach to see their advertising everywhere I look - in the air, on buses, tv. It’s disgusting. DO NOT BUY GEICO INSURANCE! If you have a claim, you'll regret it.

I am very unhappy with Geico. I switched back to their auto policy and after 6 months of being with them, they jacked the rates up for no reason. I have perfect driving record for 15 years. I even increased my deductibles before this happened and took off some coverages. If anything, my rates should have went down. I plan on switching companies real soon. I will not go back next time.

Filed claim. Helped with repair shop loaner car all at no out of pocket expenses. Very happy with service. Also rate was not raised. I am a loyal customer for over 15 years. Also have homeowners ins. with them. Offers full or partial coverage different deductible to fit your needs. Offers road service glass repair thru automate where they come to your location. Easy payment plans: monthly, quarterly, or yearly. Can contact thru phone or online.

I have full coverage and when I compared my rate to other companies - State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, The General I had a lower rate with Geico than all of these other companies. I had full glass and road service at no extra cost. And while other companies cost more because of my location, they didn't. I put in a claim after being hit by another auto. They sent a tow truck that took my car to a repair shop near my home, arranged a loner car and transportation home. There were no hassles The ins. adjuster examined my car within 3 days. My car was repaired within 3 weeks and claim settled.

They come to the rescue when accidents occur. I was in one accident before, not very major, but I was in one. Geico helped saved me a lot of bucks for the time. Without them, I would probably have to spend a lot of money just to repair my vehicle. Customer service is very good. When I called them after my accident, had a little conversation and it went well.

I had bad customer service, our agent was never in the office or called us back when we needed to talk to them. So we cancelled our insurance and went to another. The coverage was great, the price was good too. Make sure to go through everything with your agent and see everything you are covered and NOT covered because getting the rental car coverage for a bit extra can save you in the long run. You get a good value for what you pay for, with the insurance and everyone decides what they need and don't need, so prices do vary. But overall it's a good deal. I was happy. Our agent was never around, we would call and we wouldn't get phone calls in return. We would stop by the office and it would be closed in the middle of the day! They were never there! We would have to hunt them down! We finally gave up and just cancelled.

Although I have never had a claim processed by Geico, I'm sure it would be pretty quick and easy. As is everything else Geico offers such as the website, and the quote process. Geico offers plenty of numerous options for levels of coverage, from full insurance to basic liability. This will fit everyone's different needs based on car value, and everything else. After getting many quotes from many different insurance companies, Geico has and continues to have the lowest prices out of all others. Essentially, its the best value for my cheap crappy car.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.
  • Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.
  • 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.
  • Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.
  • Best for New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Compare Auto Insurance