Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.67/5

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Average annual savings of $500 for new policyholders based on a 2018 GEICO national survey
  • Free and easy online quote and buying process
  • Mobile app makes it easy to view policies, request roadside assistance and file claims
  • Competitive rates
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid or electric cars

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3891 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My vehicle was stolen and I had comprehensive coverage with Geico which appears to be worthless. They have been coming at me with an accusatory tone from the very beginning to the point I had to hire an attorney. We have uncovered several infractions that the investigator has committed including trying to coerce witnesses to lie on their behalf. It looks like it's heading to court now and I can't believe the amount of lies and unethical behavior being exhibited by Geico just to try to get out the claim. Pray that you never have to file a claim with GEICO or be prepared for a fight just to get your claim settled.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I realize from tons of others Geico policyholders (mostly previous) that they had a lot of the same issues. That Geico claims service is crap and it seems they look for ways to not pay claims. Well I'm going through the same issue. I would love to stand up to Geico and start a class action lawsuit to make them accountable for the service we all paid for. Some people were racially profile in their claims process. We need to stick together.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I cancelled my policy with Geico on the 25th of November 2018. One of their employees told I'd have my reimbursement checked between 3 to 5 days and another told me 7 to 10 days. I can because come this past Friday that would be 10 business days. The lady on the phone told me they just sent the return to my back today!!! I'd have to wait another 3 to 5 days! That's insane. I'm also not getting all of my money back because of a change of address. I haven't moved in over 2 years and I've been receiving my Geico mail at this address since I moved. They also raised my rate $130.00 because of all the hurricane claims they had in South Carolina. I told them that was excessive. I've been in no car accidents in 5 years. My rates shouldn't go up like that. Worst company ever!!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My car was rear-ended by a driver who had GEICO Commercial insurance. The accident happened on AUGUST 22. After reporting the accident with my car insurance we decided I should file the claim with Geico. I waited over a month for Geico's adjuster to come to my residence to see the car (SEPTEMBER 25). I was told by the adjuster that GEICO will send a check for the repair. It took over THREE WEEKS for me to receive the check in the mail. As soon as I was able to I took my car to the body shop for the repair (OCTOBER 31). I signed over my check to the body shop that day and the body shop began to assess the damage the following day. They then had to wait for Geico's adjuster to come out to the body shop. Geico's adjuster did not show up for the first body shop inspection until NOVEMBER 13!!!

In the meantime Geico paid for a rental car and issued me a Toyota Camry (my car is a 2018 Subaru Outback). After over 2 more weeks of waiting and learning that I was supposed to have been issued a car that was comparable to my car, I left several messages with Geico about switching out my rental, but never heard back from anyone. After several additional attempts I finally called Geico Commercial directly and I now drive a Nissan Rogue. Due to further delays regarding supplemental approvals it took until NOVEMBER 21 for my car to be repaired.

Here's the kicker - due to negative experiences with Geico the body shop has a policy of not releasing my car to me until they have a written confirmation of the final payment due for the repair. It is now DECEMBER 7 - and I still do not have my car!!! Meanwhile, Geico has already had to extend my car rental twice + they will be charged a storage fee for every day that the car remains in the shop. Someone please explain how any of this makes sense.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

A. I had an accident on December 1st 2018. Till today you can see how many calls I have made and how many calls I have received. 2. Till now except the manager last manager who was highly reluctant to give any options nor provide any substitute for deductible 1,000 - one thousand dollar -she does not wanted to help out at all ever Highly blindsided and unfair. 3. I had to call multiple times to reach her - only people like Gabby, Victoria and Roger- they were really pleasant to talk with at least. 4. She does not wanted to pay for medical even though my rib got injured- she does not care. 5. Every time they will tell they will assign a person which they will NOT Do. 6. They are NOT HONEST, nor ethical, nor integrity. They waste your time. 7. Whatever you say, they will call purposefully to your cell phone -how many times you repeat. 8. How many times you tell this is Hertz rental, they do not care about that too. What a sadness.

They need to pay this DEDUCTIBLE and pay for Medical -this kind of harassment from last Saturday till now has been horrible. You have to run to take their calls and their system won't work - like you cannot upload- so you have to run to Post office, Fax at Fedex and what not. South Carolina has a rule to report in 15 days -you had to push them to send it. Till now I don't know what they have done. We need to report to highest Insurance regulator at least about MACON, GA office which does not really care, nor follows the principles, honest, ethical practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We were with Geico for about six years previously with no issues. About two years ago they started to raise our rates although we had no tickets/claims. Finally, tired of the gradual increases, I got another quote which was considerably cheaper and switched companies. Every few months I would get a call asking us to switch back. About two years ago they gave me a great quote and we decided to switch back. Within two weeks of making the first payment, Geico contacted us to say the quote was wrong and our premium went up.

At renewal it went up again. We called to get a quote on a new car prior to buying it. Bought and added the car and then was notified for the second time that the quote was wrong and my premium was increasing even more. We then added a teen driver. It went up (we expected this increase) but now today a year later they said they are just adding my teen driver and increased my rate AGAIN! She's been in this policy for 1 year and was listed as a driver!?! DONE with Geico for good. This company has really gone downhill!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

First let me state that up until this point, I felt Geico was fantastic. Anytime I've had a claim, they've done everything they can to help make the process as pain-free as possible. That being said, their information varies based on the agent or supervisor you speak to. In my case, it was both. Over the course of the past 24 hours, I have spoken to over five different agents (some great, others not so great). The issue escalated when speaking to the final agent I got placed on the line with named, Sharlyn. Don't get me wrong, I believe she was giving me the best assistance possible. I explained my issue of moving from MD to NC and the previous information I had been given, and she tried her best to sort out the miscommunication with the process; however, she was not able to resolve an issue I had with the DMV in NC, and so I asked to speak to a supervisor. When I did, she quickly advised me that one had been on the line "the whole time."

My immediate thought was: GREAT, maybe she has some insight into why this can or cannot be solved? But no... lo and behold, instead what proceeded was a long 2 hour conversation about how I am lying and how the agents probably explained it right, but I must have misunderstood - which I guess could be possible if it happened once, but no. To illustrate just how much wrong information I was given, my policy has been changed and altered THREE times by different agents believing that they know how to handle the transfer of our cars from MD to NC - all of them claiming to have "fixed" the previous agents mistakes. Benita (associate #**) talked down to me saying that the reason I've had so many issues was because I refused to take the agents' advice??? That's when I politely explained that I am simply following what I was told; I know nothing about insurance, and I don't claim to know.

I ALWAYS call to get advised before making ANY changes on my policies, and am at the mercy of what the agents tell me. I would NEVER argue about how to go about a process that I know nothing about; however that's what Benita claimed I did on the phone with Sharlyn. She then proceeded to tell me that Sharlyn didn't say certain things that she most definitely told me. I even mentioned getting it investigated by law - in which her tone varied greatly. After that point, she proceeded to say I need two separate policies, which mind you, was NEVER offered to me by any other agent I had spoken to previously.

Long story short, I have a feeling my husband and I will be searching for another insurance company. It breaks my heart because with the few claims that we have made, they have been super responsive, and their pricing is unbeatable, but I have to do business with people that I can trust and who are going to care and assume the best in their consumers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Negative 5 stars. I was in an accident earlier this year. I was told by GEICO over the phone we would be taking responsibility even though I felt it wasn't my fault. They never came and investigated like I suggested. Had they did they would've seen how narrow the street was as I told them so if I had in fact hit her she would have hit the all the cars parked parallel to her, nope. She was hugging and consoling me that it could've been worse, we're both insured and neither of us were hurt. She told me adjuster she was fine. 2 weeks later I received a letter from the DMV notifying me she hired a Beverly Hills attorney and was suing me. I was livid, we my kids were crying for a happy meal so we go to McDonald's and guess who helps us at the drive thru? None other than the girl who is suing me for neck and back pain. I call GEICO and give all the details, hoping this shows it's not true.

A few weeks later I get a letter from an insurance company I had never even heard of saying the claim was denied, I was like what claim? Who are you? So I call them and got the runaround. After the 3rd call I was told that the claim was denied because after their investigation they found out her mother wasn't in the car at the time so they are denying her mothers claim and had to notify me. Wow?? I was blown away, I was like surely this enough for GEICO to prove they are trying to run some fraud or something.

All GEICO would say is that they will contact me once it's settled. They straight out told me we offered money and are just waiting to them to accept. I was livid, I've shown more than once that she is a liar. I asked them, "Did you even try to fight for me because it seems like you're basically bending over for her lawyer?" I was told, "Once the case is settled you will be noticed." No help whatsoever. I got a letter a few days ago that they've settled, she accepted the offer. Poor injured girl, she didn't look injured at all when she was running around at McDonald's LAST NIGHT in the kitchen. So this is what GEICO did for me. Should also mention I've never had a ticket or an accident, have been driving for 20 years, and because of that they actually raised my rate over $200 more than it already was. (And I was already paying too much).

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Had Geico in Hawaii for complete car insurance at $100 a month. Moved to New York and rates went to $175 a month for just liability with a prefect driving record. Customer service was rude and deceitful to me.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

On 11/2/18 I applied for auto insurance online with Geico. Quite naturally, I completed the form accurately and spelled my own name correctly. When my insurance cards arrived, my first name was misspelled. When I contacted Geico, its representative explained that the misspelling was what the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles listed in its records of me. I knew this was patently false since I held a valid Driver's License and Voter Registration card with the correct spelling. For good measure, I also called the DMV and received confirmation that its records had the correct spelling. I had already warned Geico that if I determined that it was lying, that I would cancel the policy and require a full refund. I made that demand, but the company stalled and lied further about the cause of my name's misspelling. When it finally did cancel the contract, it provided a partial refund of my six-month premium.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Let me start this off by saying that I have been a customer of Geico for more than 5 years. I recently added my newly wed wife of June 2018 to my plan this year. She has been a customer of Geico for quite a few years herself before she had to change her last name. May 2017 was a year where unfortunately I was struck from behind at 80 mph on the expressway by an SUV. Geico fixed my car and denied my diminished value of my vehicle. June 2018 my car was rear ended by an international flatbed truck at a much lower speed. During these incidents my wife was not on my policy. July 2018 we get a new SUV for my wife and I include her in my policy. My wife while we were in separate accounts with Geico had 1 accident of her own in March of 2017. Now understand that for my accidents I contacted an attorney so that all medical expenses would be covered and that I would get the utmost care for my physical well being as possible. My wife did not.

None of these incidents/accidents were our fault. When I spoke with representatives they had assured me that my policy would be fine and that I had nothing to worry about with my insurance. My wife and I have never been late on any payments and now we are being punished. Today I get a call from 1-800-841-3000. A Geico number with an agent on the line stating that my newly joint account will not be renewed because of the frequency of the accidents that I was involved in and also the negligence that I have shown as a customer. I pay my bills on time. I abide by my end of the contract and Geico denied the diminished value of my vehicle when they should have totaled it! The car I drive now does not align properly anymore and I am stuck with a vehicle that will never sell for the same value ever again. But Geico wants to deny me the coverage that I have been paying because I went to the hospital?!

What in the hell is wrong with this multi billion dollar industry?! I want to post this complaint to every review website on earth... "Geico will cover you but only if you don’t crash and it only lasts for a number of years." I want to scream at the top of my lungs and the attendant whose job it is to send notification to the customers... Kudos for being so heartless knowing you have ruined my family’s day. Geico was notified of my complaint and denied, nor sympathized with our situation. They just said, “Good luck getting insured.” Would not recommend this insurance to no one ever again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

The GEICO website quoted me a 6 month premium of $571 for the vehicle I was thinking of buying. When I actually purchased the vehicle a few days later and switched my GEICO auto policy over to it, my premium jumped to $1322 for 6 months. The GEICO agents on the phone had assured me that nothing like this would happen. I have no prior claims, no tickets or accidents, and an excellent credit score, and I don't appreciate being taken advantage of this way.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

On Tuesday, July 28, 2018, a police report was filed for my father concerning the larceny of our motor vehicle. The investigator determined that the offense was felony larceny (by trick). The conclusion was based on my father being elderly (special victim), my father is clearly of diminished capacity, and could not have given valid consent. On Wednesday, October 31, 2018, my sister sent to me, a denial letter from GEICO, dated August 24, 2018, and signed by the Claims Adjuster stating, “…This is being made per our... [SOCALLED]… the… Police Department did not take a theft report for this loss…” From the onset the Claims Adjuster was lacking in her so-called investigation. We had not heard anything from her, so on Monday, September 10, at 9:25 AM, 9:26 AM, and 10:36 AM, I attempted to contact the Claims Adjuster; however, the voicemail system answered.

I left a message requesting callback. After not receiving a reasonable timely response from the adjuster, approximately 10:43 AM, I contacted customer service and informed the representative that my attempts to contact the adjuster assigned to the claim has been unsuccessful and I needed to speak with her supervisor. The representative suggested that I allow her to attempt to contact her before contacting the supervisor, which I agreed. The representative informed me that her attempts were unsuccessful also and if I still wanted to speak with the supervisor, which I replied, "Yes." Simultaneously, at 10:47 AM, the adjuster was calling me through “call waiting” so I informed the representative and switched calls. I requested an update concerning the claim and the adjuster claimed that it was still pending decision.

This was the forty fifth (45) day since the report was filed and she had not obtained a copy of the police report or the name of the investigator. I sent to her by fax transmission (6 pages); a copy of the “Incident/Investigation Report” and a copy of the financial company documents. As an added measure, on the fax cover sheet, I wrote the assigned police detective’s name and his direct office telephone number. On Tuesday, September 11, 2018, at 12:22 PM, I sent to the adjuster by fax transmission (3 pages); a copy of my father’s diminished capacity diagnosis and copies of email conversations between myself and the police detective. On Wednesday, September 12, 2018, at 3:36 PM, I sent her by fax transmission (2 pages); a copy of an email from the police detective informing that on September 11, 2018, the vehicle was located and recovered during a traffic stop by law enforcement.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018, at 2:17 PM, the adjuster contacted me by telephone and informed that after conducting a meeting with Geico’s legal team, the company would not be settling the claim because the “General Power of Attorney”, issued to my sister from my father. To this date, although there is documented proof (Actual report) that a police report was filed and the conclusion that the offense was Felony larceny, GEICO still stand on the denial of the claim based on the assertion that there was no police report. GEICO is deceitful and failed to handle the claim in good-faith.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Updated on 11/30/2018: You guys keep changing my rental coverage. Tell Stanley I return his car rental. And I am about to sue you guys. You are the worst company. I regret giving you my money since 2007 or 2008 I have been with Geico. BMW I bought in 2011 before it was Mitibushi Lancer. This was my first major accident. So I didn't know how you treat your customers. You all will pay for it. It's done deal. Plus you need to pay for my injuries. I am going to sue Geico.

Original Review: I am with GEICO since 2007 or 2008 and first time I got into major car accident. I had rental till 3rd and now rental car called me up. Said I have only few hours. GEICO dismiss the rental. Adjuster came and said car is total damage. He doesn’t even know what he was doing. I drove car from accident and car works completely fine and needs repair and they reject the claim. It’s completely scam company. Don’t do any business with them. Worst insurance company. Full of deception. Bunch of thief and crooked sitting there.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Called for a quote 11.27.18 and the withdrawal was supposed to be 11.30.18 when I pick up a new car. The call dropped at The end and I did not receive a call back yesterday or today so I called. I found a lower rate with another company and decided not to go with Geico. I explained don't be rep and she cancelled the policy and said your refund has been issued and should be in your account in a few days. I told her the withdrawal was clearly supposed to be Friday and I know I stated that because the amount would've overdrawn my account. She verified that it was drafted from account and so did I through my bank. I keep good records and I will be calling the local office and speaking with manager. If necessary, I will call corporate. This is why she didn't call back when the call dropped or today. When I tried to call back, it said the office was closed. Don't lie to people. If a post dated withdrawal is not possible, say so.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My issue is with Geico not standing by their customers and repairing my car to the condition it was before my accident! I have a 2005 Audi A6 insured w/ Geico. My car was hit by a truck a couple months back that fled the scene. It was minimal damage (Side mirror, passenger side front/rear door light body damage and repainting). However, I was astounded when they declared it as $4,100 in damages but, hey, what do I care they are paying for it. Geico sided with me and agreed to repair my car. A reputable collision shop had my Vehicle for a MONTH while Geico had me in a rental. It was a bad experience because the body shop never even once contacted me to give me an update on my car. They jerked me around towards the end when they said I could pick it up - I got a light run-around but nothing too bad.

Once I got my car back from the body shop I could tell immediately that there were things wrong that did NOT exist prior to the repairs. These include...check engine light on in dash, daytime running light out, Audi advanced key not functioning AT ALL, push to start not working, exhaust hanging/broken weld at bracket, wobbly driver's side mirror.

I contacted the body shop and told them about all these issues. I had to drive back and forth to the shop about 5 times. Geico approved the supplementals and put me in another rental for ANOTHER WEEK. The shop fixed the mirror, tacked the exhaust (which already failed and is hanging currently) but created more issues while I was there including causing my power window to stop working and my speaker in the door panel to sound blown/rattle. They managed to get the window working after I had to wait, yet again, for over 1.5 hours at their body shop. All in all, I must have spent 5 hours waiting at this shop for all these resulting issues that arose that they fixed. The only things that remain broken are my exhaust and rattling speaker--Both of which were NOT like that before they did all the work to my car.

Fast forward a week after taking my car home and here is where the serious issue happens. My car simply will NOT start up. I had to get it towed to my local mechanic to diagnose the problem so I can either fix it on my own (if simple) or contact Geico for YET ANOTHER related supplemental issue. It turns out WATER got into my trunk somehow and pooled under my spare tire! It fried my fuel pump electronic control driver. It cost me $500 to get it fixed! This has NEVER occurred prior to the accident! How can this be coincidence???

I immediately contacted the body shop/on site Geico adjuster and told him about the issue. After returning, yet again, to the body shop they basically said, "NO we will not fix this because it is not related to the accident!" Where do they get their logic?? I can name 7 things that happened AFTER the shop did all the work... 1) Audi advance key stopped working. 2) Push-to-start stopped working. 3) Check engine lights on in dash. 4) Daytime running light bulbs shorted. 5) Exhaust bracket broke. 6) Driver side mirror rattling/broke spring. 7) Blown/rattling speaker in door.

*How can they argue that they can't relate this water damage/fried fuel pump control to the car crash or subsequent repairs? If I inherited 7 additional issues with my car AFTER the body shop got done with it then why is it so hard to fathom that there could be 8? I'm sorry but that shop loses credibility in my book after more than a couple things being wrong after they complete their work. This is not a chance thing here. This is a pattern! So my adjuster refuses to help me out. I contacted his manager and I am awaiting his call back. TLDR: My car is leaking water into my trunk after the insurance repairs were done causing $500 worth of damage and they refuse to pay for it! Any and all help would be appreciated--thanks for letting me vent!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I got my policy with GEICO on 11/16/18 when I bought my new car. I paid $140.32 to get the policy started, and it was for myself as a driver and since my husband lives with me I listed him as a non-driver. The policy was granted and I thought everything was good to go. On 11/28/18, I received an email stating "Your policy has been canceled as of 12/11/18. Please call us for further assistance". So I contacted customer service and was told that because my husband's license is suspended, and lives in my household, he has to be covered as a driver on the policy. I informed customer service that my husband's license were suspended and revoked by the state of Ohio in 2007, which also means they have since expired. GEICO's statement, paraphrased, was this: "A suspended license means that you are still a licensed driver but the license is not active."

To me, this is a ridiculous loophole for the company to take my deposit for the exact opposite reason they are citing for canceling the policy. When I asked for a full refund, they stated that I was due no refund because they provided coverage from 11/16-12/11. They provided coverage... but are canceling the policy because they cannot provide coverage because of the license situation... but they provided coverage... that they cannot provide. It isn't rocket surgery to see that they are completely screwing me over. I bet there isn't a single person, outside of the GEICO company, that would believe they would have approved a claim submitted between the "coverage" dates and would have stated that the policy was null and void because of the license but uncovered driver. Here's the kicker... Ohio law states that if you live with another driver, that person must be listed on the policy.

If that driver WILL NOT BE DRIVING YOUR CAR (regardless of license status) you will be require to sign an exclusion affidavit stating that the uncovered driver won't be operating the vehicle. GEICO did not offer or even mention the exclusion clause, and by doing this, VIOLATED OHIO LAW. Geico offered me a measly $54 refund of the $140 I paid just 12 days after the policy started. And all this within a month of Christmas. When I think of an insurance company, I expect caring and understanding customer service. I definitely do NOT expect to be charged for coverage, and then have the policy canceled because they cannot provide that coverage... that they provided and charged me for... but cannot provide the coverage... that they provided... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

This entire situation is ludicrous! GEICO has simply put a sportcoat and tie on STRONG ARMED ROBBERY! If you, your family, or anyone you know tells you they are thinking about getting or switching to GEICO insurance, find a large blunt object, tell that person to prepare themselves, and then smack some sense into them. If they go through these lengths to take $90 from a potential long time customer, imagine how difficult it would be to have your claim be approved. Heck, you might submit a claim for a fender-bender and end up losing your house to these vultures. I wonder if the GEICO knows about this...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Don't recommend to nobody!!! One year ago I switched from Geico to Progressive, because Geico was raising my premium every 6 months for about $150 each time with no reason. I always had clean driving record. Last week Geico emailed me that they want me back and that they will give me good price. So couple of days ago I filled quote with Geico and they gave me nice price, so I switched from Progressive to Geico. I paid that day my 6 month Premium. Today (2 days later) Geico emailed me that they changed my Premium and they raised price for about $200, and I have to pay it in 2 weeks. Geico just give you cheap price while you fill a quote. Few days later after you buy insurance will raise a price, and will send you bill home. That how they bring new customers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My car was stolen. The police found the car and had it towed. I needed to get a new key programmed. I was given a name Michael ** and told he would contact me tomorrow. Well Monday came I resolved the issues with my open wallet. Waited for Michael ** my adjuster to contact me but of course he never did. EVERY TIME I TRIED TO REACH Geico the system kept automatically re-routing me to his vmail. I was trying to get some assistance, talk to someone find a update on my claim nothing.

Finally calling from work and failing to put my info in the phone I got to talk to someone. There response... "We attempted to reach your adjuster but we got his vmail." Then I asked, "Can I get another adjuster" and they denied me that opportunity. Gave me a lady who was not available that works on his team and said I could call her and leave a vmail. Then I finally get a call back from Alyz and she says they can't do anything for me because the car needed to have damages over 1k. WTF. So I pay for insurance up front for half of the yearly and now I pay an out of pocket tow and key replacement of a total nearly $800. This company has really disappointed me. Worst of all is the ** SERVICE. They are Pure GARBAGE. THE EASIEST PART OF SERVICE IS PROVIDING IT. If you choose to have Geico insurance Good luck. #poormanagement #Whypeopleleave #badreview #geicosucks

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I had a policy for years with another insurer. I got my quote through these fools, and switched. Well after a month and half they cancelled my insurance because my daughter is on my registration. We are both on my cars. She helped me. My husband has another on his. They said we would have to insure them! They arent even drivers. Furthermore, when asked if we are reg owners I said yes, and that we had designers. They said it wouldnt matter. Liars! Now I have a week to find new insurance. Hopefully, my old insurer will take me back!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I had a claim last year for my 2005 Explorer for the back window that blew out. I had full glass and because the hatch had to be replaced they said that they wouldn't cover it under my policy. So I had it fixed out of my pocket $850 and just let it go. So this year 2018 I have an RV I had full coverage and we had a wind ice storm in the spring did some damage to my roof. I fixed it but the water that leaked into the RV did some real damage caused black mold. So I filed a claim they sent an adjuster out he took pictures of everything including the keys. Well they got back to me and said it was totaled. $12,500.00 in damages. Well I was only claiming the front bunk over the cad area and the adjuster turned in every little thing he found.

After weeks of calling and getting my claim handed to 3 different investigators they said they could not afford to cover it. They decided it was lack of maintenance and normal wear and tear on the RV. I advise everyone to stay away. I didn't get either claim paid and now I have to shell out the money to get my RV fixed. What do we pay premiums for if they are going to make up excuses and not cover the claims. The worst insurance company I have ever felt with. Cheap insurance yes but don't pay claims.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Lie to me, no problem - attorney hired now. Forget honesty and trying to settle a claim fairly and reasonably. When dealing with a Geico adjusters your doctor's reports ignored. One example, after three weeks of trying to settle fairly I had enough of dealing with Timothy ** and Michael his supervisor. Timothy agrees after reviewing a work loss claim and tells me he will pay it -- he is just missing one of two tax documents and I have to provide a doctor's note for the time off work.

Two days to get it, but Timothy didn't think the doctor would write the note... but she did as it is a real claim for loss of work with permanent crash injuries. Then, Timothy LIES and backtracks saying he wouldn't pay the claim ($19,000). Instead they would pay ZERO DOLLARS against my work loss claim however AS A COURTESY??? they will offer $360??? I NAILED THE LIAR ON THE PHONE--- and now we are going to court - forcing me to hire a top attorney and maybe they will listen.

In one breath Timothy totally stated the doctor's medical statements are wrong and then telling me he isn't familiar with what the doctor wrote and the medical records meant but $0.00 for pain meds (My foot run over, crushed by a minivan-- why a crash injury shouldn't hurt??? Need pain meds??? Not according to Geico-- not a valid claim to pay--- TOTAL SCAM. They do everything to avoid being fair and reasonable. I get that to a degree however when you have a REAL CLAIM, Geico will force people like me to have to get an attorney (40% cost off any claim paid) but when told they would pay for the work loss claim portion and told me specifically the documentation they needed and got from me... Then they go back on their word. LIE to me... I'm done with these LIARS.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Geico has been giving me the runaround after I was hit by a car and they took off. I filed my claim the night of the accident and the next morning I filed a police report. I went to have the adjusters look at that Geico suggested and they gave me a quote. However, the Geico rep who was less concerned about the situation by insulting me stating it looked like I hit a wall. 1. If I hit wall, I would said that when I filed a claim. 2. Who just hits a wall? 3. No word from them and it's been 3 weeks. I have called and all of a sudden someone different is handling my claim. SMH. They take my payments quick and fast but when it comes time to use my insurance. NOTHING!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Geico is the worst provider I've ever had. I've had many policies over the years and been happy with every other company. They canceled my service without contacting me because my card on file expired without me realizing and I was on autopay. Card is still valid of course. Didn't receive a phone call or email... nothing. Got a letter 2 months later wanting extra fees for lapse in payment. It was commercial so I had customers in my vehicle during that whole time of being uninsured. Put me at a massive risk. I objected to paying their fees and they sent it to collections again without threatening or informing me. I would never in a million years consider using this company for insurance again. I've never had worse customer experience in my life in any industry.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

This company is only fine until you get into an accident. I was dealing with Shawn ** in Las Vegas, NV. Minor accident that I could fix on my own. First the adjuster didn't cover all the damages and when I called to ask about it the guy was rude and the headaches started. Anyways I got the car fixed and paid out of pocket. It's been close to two months and I just got partially reimbursed after reporting them. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

DM of 5 Cities, CA. Geico was great until an accident occurred. In January of 2018, my parked car was hit by a drunk driver. I immediately filed a claim through the internet. I had a $500 deductible which they said they would collect from the drunk driver. I submitted all pictures and paperwork, then I heard nothing (crickets)! An adjuster called within two days and said claim was in process but he was two hours away. He called a few times to confirm I would be paid the KB quote and they would collect deductible, then issue me a check for the deductible.

The claim started in Jan. 2018, in March the DUI person's insurance went out of business. I still heard nothing, then they said they would pursue the deductible, but I still had no payment for my totaled car. I filed a claim with the Calif. Insurance Commission at the end of May 2018. It was only after I launched a complaint and inquiry that Geico called from headquarters on June 5, 2018 (several times) and tried to blame me for their delay. They still backed out of the paying me for the deductible and would not pay anything, but $20 on tires eight days old with less than 150 miles on them.

Today, November 15, 2018 I get a letter and an email stating I have not cashed the check I received for my totaled car. It was cashed and deposited May 17, 2018. They said in 30 days it will no longer be valid. Really? Who's on first? The lower cost is not worth the headache and long-term cost it takes you to do their job. I see now they have home insurance. Really? Why would I or anyone else use you when your company cannot take care of business or provide customer service. I never had one claim on my policy until the drunk driver totaled my car. I faithfully paid my insurance for over ten years. They made money on me, were not truthful and provided little to no customer service. I do not recommend this company and will never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My car was in an accident with a person who had GEICO insurance. His car was a company car so the claim went to GEICO Collision Department. The accident happened on SEPTEMBER 10. The adjustor came, filed his information, and GEICO was to send a check to me to have the car repaired. They told me it would take 7-10 days to receive the check. I waited 12 days and NO CHECK. After my outrage, they stopped payment on that check and re-issued a check which then took 10 days! So now it is 22 days later. I take the car to the Collision place to be repaired and they found additional damage. The adjustor went there and issued another claim and the collision company repaired the car BUT GEICO is doing the same thing. They said they issued the additional money to the Collision company and it would take 7-10 days.

It is now over 12 days and the collision company has not received the check. GEICO said that they will have to stop payment and reissue another check which will take another 10 days. It is now NOVEMBER 15 and there is no check and I do not have my car!!! I have asked over and over again for GEICO to send the check overnight, priority mail and I am told that they are not permitted to do that. I have a RENTAL CAR. GEICO is paying for a rental BUT I WANT MY CAR!!!

Does this make business sense? GEICO will pay over $900 for me to have a rental car but won't spend $25 to send the check by priority mail. IS THIS A WASTE OF MONEY? WHO PAYS FOR THIS WASTE OF MONEY? THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE GEICO INSURANCE. AND when you call there and ask for a supervisor, a supervisor is NEVER in the office. I want that job!! GEICO customers...find another insurance company because they are wasting your money. My accident was on September 10 and it is November 15 and I don't have my car.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My wife called in for service because her car wasn't starting. It took the tow truck over 2 hours to get to her. Thank God it was during the day and she was at a very populated gas station. It bothers me so much that it takes this long to get service when something actually happens. This is not the first time. This is the third time it's happened and we've only broken down three times. So all three times we've broken down or had car issues, it has taken absolutely forever to get help.

When I was at Allstate and I needed roadside assistant their service had to be the best I've ever seen. Literally, I called and within 20 minutes they were at my location. Yes, I get very good pricing on insurance, but it makes me wonder how great your insurance would be if something actually really happened like a car accident or worse. I will be looking for another insurance provider soon. I would like to stay with Geico, but whoever you use for the Charlotte area for your towing needs, needs to be changed. They are absolutely terrible.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I changed my car insurance to Geico a month ago due to the rate savings. Within 3 days of paying my premium in full I was informed I owed an additional 110 (for a 6 month policy) due to an added driver's record. I did NOT add a driver after securing my rate and my other household member listed on my policy has his own insurance with Geico and he has a safe driver CREDIT. I was told it was a mistake and they would fix it. No word... so I called again and after a few days and a lengthy explanation received an e-mail that I only owed them an additional $68 (???). Called again and was told it would be taken care of. Well it wasn’t. Today I called again as it’s been a couple weeks with no word from them besides the additional bill.

The explanation today was lame and the agent continued to speak over us. I felt like I was talking to a telemarketer who has a script to get through. I will be returning to my previous insurance agent locally. I feel like I was baited with a reduced rate that isn’t real. I gave them all the correct info up front. Apparently the rate mistake was theirs but they won’t own it... And they cannot explain it so that it makes sense. Tried to tell me the original rate was low due to my partner's longer driving experience. (He is 68... I am 60. Seriously???) Then it went up because of him on my policy? I can’t even imagine having to negotiate a claim with them. NO THANK YOU GEICO.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've been with this company for over five years. Always paid my premium on time and they've made a lot of money off of me. I recently had an accident which I felt was not my fault or at least the other person involved was also responsible. The adjuster sent a letter through the email which had incorrect information which she didn't correct and she said she called, but left no message didn't speak to me directly. I had to call her, bad customer service. They're my insurance company and she made the decision it was my fault. She didn't even debate with the other insurance company she just made the decision.

They do not work for the client they work for raising the premiums! I figured my insurance premiums will now go up so I decided that's I'll give it to an insurance company agent that works for the client! Someone who takes a personal touch to take care of their clients! I do not recommend Geico! I should've asked her if she was working for the other insurance agency. She's ending up having Geico pay out money. They probably didn't have to and losing a customer not a good agent! I did figure my rates would go up because they raised them when I didn’t have any accidents and perfect record.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky