2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 1,575 ratings submitted in the last year

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO is one of the country’s largest auto insurance providers. It offers affordable prices and several discounts. You can manage your GEICO auto policy online or by app. The company doesn’t employ many local agents for in-person help.

PROS

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

CONS

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Top GEICO Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Customer Service staying in contact with me from start to finish… Thank you Mikey for all you do, you are appreciated…

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer service reps are the nicest… and if you ever need help, they answer right away 24/7.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is GEICO auto insurance?

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

Geico auto insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault for an accident.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO auto insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have enjoyed being a Geico customer for a few years. When the covid pandemic hit geico took it upon themselves to give a percentage of the customers payments back to them to help during the struggle. To me this has proven that it is more than a company just looking for profit. I use the app to pay my bill which is very convenient. The app also has an option to easily extend your payment date if you are struggling which is great not having to call and explain to a stranger your personal financial situation. I have recently added my daughter to my insurance and the price is very good compared to other insurance companies. I am a very satisfied customer and would not take my business anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been using Geico insurance for decades and have found them to be a moderately reliable company. I am able, due to my own and my spouses driving record, to insure both of are older vehicles (my 2002 Volvo S40 and her 1999 Mercedes Benz) for around a dollar a day. Granted this is the minimum coverage required by California law, but California law is quite exacting. Plus, the joint value of our cars is less than $4,000.00.

We've only had one accident in all of our years with Geico. It involved us being hit from the rear and being flipped onto the side. Luckily no one was hurt beyond a few scratches and cuts. Geico was the insurer for both vehicles and worked with us until an amicable solution was reached for both parties. And most importantly, did not raise our rates, since we were not at fault. Thus, their claims department, unlike other companies, is just as good as their billing department. Which the latter, as is evident, has always worked with us to keep our car insurance premiums within our budget.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

GEICO is the only insurance company I know of that offers mechanical breakdown as part of the policy for new cars. It duplicates what is there during the initial warranty but is so low cost that if you plan to keep the car past the warranty period, it just makes sense. I never thought I'd need it, but the sensors on my Mercedes went out after the term of the warranty. The cost of the mechanical breakdown came to under $100 per year with a $250 deductible. The cost of the sensor replacement would have been about $1800 without this feature of the policy. Work was done at the dealership and my service rep indicated no problem with labor rate or anything else. The work was approved faster than either of us expected.

Customer Service was great. Although I (fortunately) have never needed to claim anything other than this and glass repair, I'm sure the experience for any repairs would be equally as easy. The premium has been less or equal to any quotes I've gotten for comparable coverage (minus the mechanical breakdown). In short, I'm a happy camper.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I switched from USAA (veteran) to Geico - due to an approx 50.00 monthly savings for the exact same coverage! This in itself was a tremendous break. But I'm here to tell you about the Roadside Assistance coverage and how it's worth every bit of the added additional charge to my policy. To say "Life Saver" seems almost an understatement. The Geico app is intuitive and so easy to use - it will even pinpoint your car's location- very handy when you're in an unfamiliar neighborhood. AND- the CS reps are so helpful if you need to call. Everything is automated - so you don't have to call - but if you want to you can. How fantastic is that!! You can even lodge a complaint or praise about the service provider they connect you with. Not to mention - you never need cash if you're calling for the services they cover at no additional cost to you.

Here's another plus to the service - there's no limit to the number of times you call them (some services will cost if you request assistance a second time for the same occurrence ie-I have my car towed (no cost) but that garage couldn't fix the problem - so I request another tow (at my expense -unsure if it's discounted). I called to have my car jump-started. I traveled 2 blocks and inadvertently turned off my car-not long enough run time for the battery to be brought back to life. Within 10 minutes of my first request - I was submitting a second. Neither one cost me anything (other than the "tip" to the driver - completely at my discretion). The cost for me 17.00 per month! Definitely worth it- I've used the service 3 times since signing on with GEICO - and I'm confident I already received a return on that $17 investment!!

Original review: March 1, 2020

As I was driving, I saw my tire pressure light come on. I attempted to put air in the tire but it just kept leaking out. I called my car company first and they were going to tow me but that is not what I wanted. I then called Geico and do you know that the first question they asked was "are you in a safe location?" Now, if that does not make me want to brag about Geico, I do not know what will. Any company who worries about their clients (customers) is a company that I will continue to do business with. I was told that the assistance would arrive in about an hour but the driver called right away and was there in about five minutes. The driver was a pleasure to work with and the entire experience was wonderful. If I have to be stuck on the road, I am happy to have Geico on my side.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I have had the absolute worst experience with GEICO. My damage adjuster “Huy **” has been terrible. From the beginning he has ran me around in circles. I totaled my car and needed geico to pay it off since I had full coverage and gap insurance so it should be no problem. Mr ** originally told me he needed to go inspect the car to make sure it’s a total loss so I needed to get all the paperwork completed for the tow yard. I did that, just for Mr ** to then tell me that he only works remotely and can’t go up there. So I asked him what to do since he’s an inspector. What does he do if he can’t go in person and what do I do because I need my car to be verified for “total loss”. He tells me if I have pictures of the car then he can do it that way, but I always had pictures and he never gave me that option before? If we would have done that from the beginning this would have been done way faster.

So I submit the pictures to him, he of course takes days to respond because that’s always how he has been. Come to find out the car had been moved several times to new tow yard because it was there too long. So now I have repo fees and towing fees that geico is supposed to handle for me. But Mr ** said it would take a week or 2 for the check to get sent to the tow yard for them to get it and Capital one needed it sooner otherwise they were going to put on my card that it was a repo because capital one is the one that had to tow the car so being in the original tow yard for so long. So I decided to pay the fees upfront myself and have geico send me the check in the mail. Everything is paid now and Mr ** goes days and weeks taking so long to do this, after almost a month he tells me the car is good to go now and they are going to pick it up, me and him both call the tow yard to make sure everything is good and the lady tells us yes.

More days pass and I ask him what is going on. Why isn’t the car picked up, he tells me that the tow yard is now saying they need some paperwork to release the car, even though they just told us it’s okay and Mr ** is saying he doesn’t know what the paperwork is. So I myself call the tow yard to figure it out even though that’s his job, she tells me the only “paperwork” she needs is the towing company that is coming to get the car for me to email her an appointment day and time along with their ID, which is understandable. I called back Mr ** and explained to him what “paperwork” it was and he said, "Yeah I know. I just called." But why didn’t he call days ago to figure it out? Also how did he not know what kind of paperwork it is, I called and found out within minutes, very easy task.

So now over a month has passed and it’s been 31+ days and capital one has now put on my credit report a “repossession” due to the car being in the tow yard for so long and not getting paid off and completed in a timely manner. Huy **, who is a my Geico auto adjuster has destroyed my credit and put me through hell to get this situation taken care of. I take complete responsibility for my car accident, but as my insurance company you should help me fix it since that’s all you’re there for. On top of that I reached out to Geico directly and they told me they can’t do anything expect transfer me to Mr **. Although he works for them and I’m telling them he’s not helping me. Not to mention throughout this whole month, Mr ** never answers phone calls or text messages for days at a time, despite how many voicemails I leave him.

He also told me that if we can’t get the car out of the tow yard (which makes no sense cause it’s there and ready they just need an appointment from the towing company that’s going to come get it), that I’ll then be given the car back to me and Geico won’t pay anything off on the car or do anything and I’ll just be stuck with it. Even though I have full coverage and gap insurance and the car is very low in miles so it’s not an older beat up car, unbelievable.

It’s safe to say Geico has great coverage and policies but terrible auto adjusters and they do not help you even if you call and tell them the people that work for them aren’t doing anything. I am now fighting to get this “repo” off my credit. On top of that I have lost my job, my car, I’m injured with a fractured neck and can barely walk, and temporarily lost my license. Despite having these injuries I still took ubers and got transportation to get all the paperwork and everything done just so it was easier for him even though I was supposed to be at home resting, but that didn’t help at all.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Geico is surely ripping off by sending us a soft quote with the lowest rates and then when we call local agents - Ms ** at the Pearland Office - Managed by ERIC MAYS in Houston, they run the same data and run us through the same data by asking us the same questions (WASTING OUR TIME) which I have already done on my online quote. ( QUOTE REF# Reference Number: **)

In this case, we also agreed on a certain rate and I have the confirmed email from GEICO for the auto quote and I gave Ms ** at the Pearland Office - Managed by ERIC MAYS MY CREDIT CARD #, waiting for her to run it and after few minutes she backs off by not giving me the advertised rates. Only answer she could give was I got a speeding ticket in 2017 which is not a claim at all and these speeding tickets are five years old. NEVER EVER FALL FOR THEIR SOFT QUOTE you get by mail/Email. Even their advertisement are fake... not genuine, They may have been good five year before. I had policies with GEICO BUT now they are TOTAL RIP OFF. ****IN SHORT - GEICO is a TOTAL RIPOFF****

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

On December 2nd, I decided to reevaluate all of our bills because I found out my husband was no longer going to be receiving any overtime at work. Also, this is the day my policy was to start over with a new 6 month term. I changed our deductible from 500 to 250 because I knew that it would be hard for us to come up with 500 out of pocket since corona. 13 days later my husband hits a hog with the car. I file a claim and get sent over to the Investigation Unit immediately. The person who called us made us feel like common criminals, made us provide phone logs, photos, etc.

Talked to us like we were trash. Two days went by and I had heard absolutely nothing. This is what they do to 13 year customers. The only claims we have made in 13 years were glass claims... the last one being in 2010. We have actually both been customers for 20ish years as we were insured separately with Geico before we were married. You'd think after paying these people around $40000 over the years they could handle a $2500 repair without treating us like we were trying to commit some sort of fraud. It was an absolute nightmare... Couldn't even sleep at night from worrying if I was going to be prosecuted or something.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Geico is super when they sign you up as a customer and for roadside service. Just a warning to beware of when you have to file a claim. It's been 6+ weeks that my daughter's car was totaled by the car behind her slamming into the car. I am still waiting for the totaled settlement which is less than blue book value, changed to some 'negative adjustment'. I feel like I'm getting the run-a-round; staff claiming it's not their department to help, agent & supervisors not returning calls. Is that even legal?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

A man speeding, on his phone and insured by Geico hit our new Toyota from the rear WHEN WE WERE STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT. Initially relieved to find he was fully insured by Geico, a "familiar" company, we were quick to discover what a terrible, dishonest, abusive company Geico really is. When you need your insurance company, Geico does NOT cut the mustard.

Geico would NOT pay us for the minimum costs. Geico did their best to make the process as difficult as possible by: NOT answering calls, NEVER volunteering to help, LONG hold times, REPETITIVE paperwork and directing us to meet with MULTIPLE body shops. We spoke with many Geico representatives who were condescending, and critical and obviously trained not to pay unless they were forced.

The repairs would not have been handled without our tenacity. The entire process of getting Geico... (with the funny, deceptive slogans) to cover their insured was almost impossible. They pushed us to the limits. The truth about Geico is that they advertise for your business, but flake when you need them. I would recommend you stick with better companies.

GEICO Company Information