Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
3.89/5
Based on 3,392 ratings submitted in the last year

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Average annual savings of $500 for new policyholders based on a 2018 GEICO national survey
  • Free and easy online quote and buying process
  • Mobile app makes it easy to view policies, request roadside assistance and file claims
  • Competitive rates
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid or electric cars

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

4262 GEICO Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

I'm so glad I have a chance to tell someone about our experience with GEICO. We have had other auto insurance but none where we felt as protected. We are notified of every action GEICO takes so there are no surprises. Our payments are super simple and not outrageous. Customer Service is friendly and quick. We did need to use the Roadside Assistance once. We were about 20 miles from our home and our mechanic was just as far, but car just stopped and we were at a loss.

We called GEICO Roadside Assistance who was there under an hour, in fact, under a half hour and GEICO called while we were waiting to make sure we were okay. The truck came and the man was super professional while lifting our truck to be hauled to our mechanic 20 miles away. Our vehicle was lifted on the truck (not pulled) and hauled to our mechanic, no additional charges. It was handled professionally with no stress aside from the vehicle breaking down, no fault of GEICO, who made us nearly forget that we had to face problems with getting car repaired. We have had other insurance companies where we were charged and told about it after the fact or rates go up and we are told about it after. Not with GEICO... we know everything as it happens. So, I am glad we had a chance to tell someone that we really like the way GEICO does business. Great prices, great customer service and we are not alone when out on the road with GEICO.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Geico is an amazing car insurance company. They work with you and will provide the best service to you. I was in a car accident where someone hit me from back and totaled my SUV. Geico gave me the best deal there was and cut me a check within a month. They even helped me with renting another car because I was hit from back, it was considered a no fault on my part so my insurance rate did not go up and when I got another car. I decided to have my fiance included in my policy and they didn't give me a hard time at all. They not only added him to the insurance policy but they also added his name on the actual insurance card. They are a wonderful company to have and they work with you to make sure all your needs are taken care of. I would highly recommend them to anybody looking for car insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had never used Geico before but in the four years I have used them they have been a very good service. Their customer service is top notch in that they get back to you right away. Their website is easy to use and has a number of convenient options, such as you can print your insurance cards off the site and/or have them mailed. It's easy to manage your account through the website without ever even speaking to a representative. The one month I was behind due to payments I expected not coming through, it was easy to go to the website and postpone my automatic monthly payment for a few days. You can do this once per policy term. I found this very helpful and was surprised and relieved at how easy it was to do. My rates are good, although my policy fees do go up a bit each year. But, this is probably to be expected, though it is a bit annoying. Overall I think they are great.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Not that long ago, my family and I were in an accident in a Dairy Queen parking lot. Someone who wasn't paying attention backed up into us while we were leaving the parking lot. He hit our bumper and caused enough damage to need repairs. But we were still able to drive back home. When we contacted GEICO, we gave them the details and everything that happened. They processed our claim right away. It was within a few days. Our car was fixed within the week. So we didn't even have to get a rental car. Which was great. So the whole process was easy and simple. It almost made everything back to the way it was before the accident. Except the memory and how everyone felt after it happened. But they did a great job and made the whole process as painless as possible. So I'm glad we decided to have GEICO as our car insurance carrier, because they were there when my family and I needed them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have had Geico insurance for 10 years now. In that time, a car I was driving was totaled by a driver that ran a stop sign. Geico took care of it 100%. I barely even had to interact them. I did not even need to pay a deductible, because it was the other driver's fault. The whole process was very smooth. I got a rental car for several days and then they sent me the money for my totaled car. The amount they sent was very fair. Since then, I haven't had any accidents, but I have used the emergency roadside assistance 4 times. 3 times were mechanical failure, and once when I was locked out of my car. All of this went fine. I also feel their prices are fair, and that's saying something since I live in Michigan, which has the highest car insurance rates in the entire country!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I was sideswiped by a silver pickup truck. I pulled over and the truck driver looked like he was doing the same...then...he took off! I managed to get his tag number and saw a deputy sheriff. My 3 year old granddaughter was in the backseat and very upset. The highway patrol had jurisdiction so the deputy called it in. He waited with us while three NC State Troopers looked for the guy. They failed to find him but had his address and phone number. They made a report. The driver of the truck was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Geico has denied my claim because “our investigation indicates that there isn’t sufficient evidence to prove our insured caused the damages to your vehicle”. He is charged by the police but Geico refuses to fix my car! Ridiculous! If the gecko finds out about this, I’m sure he will quit!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

The only place GEICO invest is in their stupid commercials that is not even funny commercials to drag naive people to buy their insurance. Believe me when I tell you that this insurance company is the most useless insurance company you will insure your car with. They never return phone calls after you file a claim and you have to call several times to get any response. The attitude alone they give you will tell you that they only want to collect payment but when it’s time to meet their end of the deal, well they will give you the runaround. Don’t believe me, check out reviews online about this sorry excuse for an insurance company. Oh yes they are cheap but pray you never have a claim to file then they show you their true color. I’m now shopping for a better insurance company that meet their promise. Then I’m going to sue this disgusting company with fake promises call geico.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

At no fault of my own, my car was hit in a parking lot when I was in a store. Upon filing a claim with Geico and being assured I could go to "any body shop I wanted", I was notified that my preferred body shop - one that was certified for my car manufacturer and used quality new parts - cost more than the allowable rates for the area. While other body shops - that state they use refurbished aftermarket parts - allow $46 per hour in labor, my body shop that is certified and uses new parts charge $50/hour. Geico would only pay the claim at the $46/hour rate. While they argued this was "fair and reasonable for the market" - my body shop provided over 40 pages of claims paid by other insurance companies at the $50/ hour rate.

I was left to pay the difference in rates between what Geico would allow and what my body shop would charge. Definitely not in the spirit of coverage of "you can pick any body shop you'd like" for the repairs. In addition, Geico arbitrarily cut off my rental car benefits with no notice, leaving me to have to pay for the additional days while the car was being serviced. I chose Geico because of their cheaper rates, but as things usually go - you get what you pay for. Lower-quality body shop coverage, deceptive marketing practices and poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I just bought a 2019 truck from Toyota with 0 miles. I had it for 3 months and my neighbor crashed my parked truck. Geico was excellent taking care of me until they gave me the details of the parts they replaced. They replaced 90% of my truck with non OEM auto parts. Are you kidding me? It's a brand new truck and the body shop they provided me with are using after market parts to repair the truck. Not only did they screw me over with my truck having after market parts but they screwed me over with the warranty with Toyota! I tried calling the adjuster 4 times and left 3 voicemails but have not heard back from him. I don't recommend this insurance company to anyone. They are a good company to charge but all they do is look out for themselves not to spend money to make things right. At least put used good quality OEM parts. Now my 36k truck is worthless.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

My husband and I separated, essentially losing the multiple car discount and becoming divorced on their records from married. Both our insurances went up by 100$ a month and then charged us outrageous monthly fees when we cancelled our policies. The worst?

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. The company operates its business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if their decision takes time.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky