GEICO

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Incompetence at its finest!! My wife and I purchased insurance through Geico back in January 2016. We did save money initially but the problems soon followed. Not a month after we started policies my wife (fiancée at the time) and I both received letters from the Arizona Department of Transportation saying that our registrations would be revoked because we had no proof of insurance for our vehicles (a matter Geico insisted they handled). I called 2 more times and Geico never resolved the issue. My wife had to take a day off work to take proof of insurance into the DMV herself.

Strike One. After we got married in September we called to renew our policies. We were told that if we combined our policies as a married couple we would save some money. My surprise when the quote sent to my email was different than the one quoted over the phone. We didn't save money by combining, our policy went up 70 dollars and the coverages/driving histories were exactly the same as 6 months prior.

Strike Two. I received a renewal notice about a month ago (nothing has changed) but somehow my policy increased by 300 dollars. Strike Three. I have wised up and moved onto American Family now, but Geico got their last laugh in today. I received a letter from the lien holder on my jeep saying that because I did not have car insurance from September 2016 to January 2017 my payment for those months was increased by 120 dollars so that they could cover basic car insurance for their vehicle. That's right, when my wife and I combined policies it increased 70 bucks and Geico never reported my new policy number to my lien holder.

Now I have to square myself with the lien holder who might potentially report my "late payments" (as I was unaware of the additional cost until today) to the credit bureaus and ruin an 800 credit score. Thank you Geico so much. I trusted that smooth talking chap with that cute green tail only to find myself dealing with stupidity to last a lifetime. I could say more, God I could say a lot more but let me end with this. NEVER EVER EVER GET YOUR INSURANCE THROUGH GEICO!!!

I am writing this because today I was forced to cancel my policy with GEICO due to the fact that year after year they continue to raise my rates for no apparent reason other than "Due to the accidents within your area this is the cause of the increase" as the excuse used for why my rates have increased. I have been a loyal customer for well over 15 yrs. I have a clean driving record that I've maintained for at least 10 yrs now and I own my vehicle. There is no reason my car insurance for LIABILITY only has increased by almost 600$ since I signed up with this company. Nor is there a reason why I should be penalized for other people's driving abilities.

I even took the time out to call GEICO to ask for it to be reduced or re-evaluated and was told that this was the price; basically "so sorry, so sad but we can't do anything for you". So I found a rate with a company that not only beat their rates but also offered me roadside assistance that GEICO wanted to charge me additional monies for. I'm appalled at the way they have conducted business and how unwilling and unwavering they are in assisting their customers in saving money or getting more for their money. Instead they continue to gouge their customers with ridiculous rates and claim it's because of the surrounding area. I refuse to believe that I have to pay for other people's negligence. I feel bad for their poor customer service representatives that have to deal with the disgruntled customers on a daily basis due to their inflexibility to satisfy their customers.

After I switched to GEICO they sent me a letter showing the mileage I said I drove each year and the letter indicated I did not need to respond unless the mileage stated in the letter was incorrect. I never heard another thing about this from them. My policy just renewed and I was surprised to discover I apparently have a 6-month policy when I had applied for an annual policy, and was more surprised to see a 23% increase in my premium in the auto pay amount, which they said I had to set up otherwise I would have to pay 2 months in advance for my policy, instead of one.

I just called GEICO and they told me that I should have responded to the letter, that they'd email me another letter. So I told them I don't have a printer, so they offered to mail me another letter and when I asked, they said they would not refund the inflated premium I had paid but that they would "adjust" the premium "going forward". I consider this a bait and switch scheme. Why should I have to verify that what I told them was the truth, do it in writing, and be penalized if I don't? I told him their "letter" should have check boxes and should say in HUGE letters that failure to respond would absolutely result in an increase in premium.

The other day I called GEICO to get her name put on the auto insurance card. She is covered but wanted to drive for UBER, but Uber will not let her drive unless her name also appears on the card. So I called to have her name put on the card. They said that they could not be put on the card and I explained the reason why, that she was looking into driving for Uber. The customer service rep said to drive for uber she need commercial drivers insurance and she transferred me to the commercial driver's division. I repeated that she was looking into driving for uber and I would like a quote.

She tried to pressure me into buying the commercial auto insurance but I said I just need a quote and information and she said she could call back, text or email me a quote. I said email it to me. On February 9 2017 yesterday my wife called to postpone our payment until next Tuesday. She was told that our insurance will not be renewed because we are driving for uber. Also we have to contact uber so they can verify that we do not drive for them. To say that I am upset is an understatement.

Our car was hit while parked at the hospital. The person left a note. What a blessing. We reported the claim, immediately our file was flagged because GEICO said we had just added the car. This policy is 4 years old and it started on this car. Both my wife and I work for GEICO. The first claims agent just didn't look to see we had updated our address. Probably a new hire mistake. Then we were assigned a seasoned claims agent (all employees are auto directed to a special department for claims agents). The agent we got told us we could certainly have a rental car if we were willing to file the claim through our own insurance because GEICO could not verify the responsible party.

I logged into the claims process online and found all the information the claims agent said was unavailable. So, I called American Family with their claim number from the GEICO site and processed the rental car and all of the features GEICO's agent said was not available unless I filed the claim through GEICO paying a deductible. I am sure the information would have been processed in 3 to 5 days had I not taken the lead but that isn't acceptable. It also isn't what the company promises. Had I not been employed by GEICO I would have had to blindly wait and possibly pay out the deductible waiting for reimbursement. Not acceptable.

I wouldn't expect my clients to tolerate that service and frankly I am disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Even though I wasn't found to be at fault for accident that totalled my new car which I bought less than 60 days prior, Geico pressured me to settle for less than $7000 than what I originally paid for the car. It was a economy, bottom of the line, tiny sedan, basic, literally did not even come with power locks and windows. I bought it from a local dealer in business over 15 years so I did not pay too much for this car and it was one of the lowest priced cars on the market yet Geico refused to pay me any more than $7000 less than I had purchased it less than 60 days prior to the total loss. They even gave me full retail value as they could see by the inside of the car when the claims examiner inspected, that it still looked brand new. It had $4000 miles on it, not at all warranting paying me 60% of the 100% I just paid 50 days prior.

However, when I argued my point as I had very good (or as I later realized), just very expensive insurance policy through geico, they refused to talk, only pacified me then although I only used one day of my rental coverage which was for substantially more than one day, they refused to honor my rental coverage with no justification as I still had not been compensated. Just a tactic to pressure me to settle with them for their offer which downright hurt my feelings more than anything. It was such a slap in the face.

I'm a widowed mother of two young boys under 13 years old and my parents who worked so hard for everything they had put $7,500.00 down on my car to help me as they are not well and worry as I just lost my husband of 25 years and my parents wanted to help me as they didn't want me broke down on the side of the road and they wanted to make sure I has reliable transportation for mine and their grandsons sakes. Geico took it all. I got $500 after they paid the finance company even though I put $7500 cash down on the car less than 60 days before.

What's worse is they paid my finance company off before consulting me first as I would have showed them my finance company included in their payoff to Geico an extended warranty totalling $1300.00 that they knew they would get a refund for. Which really left me hurting because the finance company got their check from Geico and their money for the extended warranty yet told me I would have to wait an additional 6 to 12 weeks for my $1300.00 back and that was 3 weeks after they got their payoff money from Geico.

So, 6 weeks after my car was totalled, I got pressured from Geico to accept $7000. 00 less than I spent on my car just 7 weeks prior. Myself, as Geico refused to honor the rental agreement I purchased from them so that I would be stuck with no transportation and have to settle for a $500 check from them, which won't even pay tax, and tag, much less a downpayment, I am stuck waiting an additional 3 more months maybe for a 1300.00 reimbursement from big corporate who are not out of one dime, just deciding to make me wait three months for my money back. And with no car, no job and no one but me to take care of two young boys under 13 years old.

Thanks Geico. You rock. And I can prove that every single statement I have written is the absolute truth. I'm lost and incredibly sad that consumers still have to fork out mega money on legal representation in order to not get completely screwed passed the point of total devastation by a company making billions to rob a struggling widowed mother of young kids.

I live in NY, and signed my car over to my sister in California a month before. She would insure it. I call GEICO to cancel my insurance and they say I have to wait until I return the plates to the DMV. Otherwise, DMV will charge me $8/day. No problem -- I understand the need to not allow plates to be reused improperly, but GEICO won't make the refund retroactive to the date they no longer have to be responsible for the car. Nice for them -- they get to collect extra days of insurance without any obligation to cover a vehicle (and I was told first I was only insuring the license plates, as if I was not insuring the car).

I switched my plan to GEICO from another one because GEICO gave me a better online quote than others. Then I signed the package online. After 2 months I figured out that they actually charging me at least 40% more due my HISTORY! Anyways! I decided to switch to my previous company. I called them back and asked to stop my insurance on the 9th! Now they are sending me bill for $10.99 extra bill for a day (9th) with a collection notice. I will never use their service again! Never ever let people use their service again! Dictator company! Terrible customer relation strategies!

When I noticed another premium increase on my auto renewal with NO losses during the policy period, I was perturbed and went to Geico merely because of their persistent marketing and name recognition. I requested a quote on the exact coverages I already have with Nationwide. I was not really expecting a material difference in premium but ended up with a quote saving me HALF of my current annual cost.

I initiated a chat with a Geico agent to confirm that the quote was accurate and asked if there was a bait and switch tactic used by Geico - I was particularly concerned about a single at-fault about three years ago and wanted to make certain that was considered in the quote. Agent assured me that mvrs were run during the process and the quote was accurate. I then called my current agent to advise her of this quote. My current agent had nothing negative to say about Geico and simply told me she could not compete with Geico's price. I am still feeling as if this is too good to be true, but I suppose only time will tell.

I has been insured with Geico for years. Recently, my Geico policy was cancelled due to nonpayment, automatic debit did not go through. When I called to restart my policy they told me I would need a downpayment in addition to the payments that did not process. When I asked how much the downpayment would be to restart my policy, the agent told me they couldn't tell me until I paid what was owed. After paying almost $800, they tell me they can't reinstate the policy. "Sorry". I asked why they didn't tell me before I made a payment because I was left without insurance, now having to find and pay another company. Seems like their practices were pretty shady, if not illegal to me.

Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident with a car insured by Geico. I did not have a car for 2 weeks due to repairs and had to rent using the insurer's insurance (Geico). Geico dragged their feet for months to pay me back for the rental. I only rented the car for one week out of the two I did not have my car and they would not reimburse me for the full term of the rental (9 days). Beware they count only labor hours from the adjuster for the rental period and do not take into consideration any realistic time it takes to fix a car going through the insurance process (i.e. having available people on hand to fix the car, the time it takes the adjuster it goes to the shop to look at the car, and whether or not the parts are available the time your car is brought in).

I had to call so many times and supply so much information just to get back $500. Based on the experience of reimbursing only $500, I would never use them for insurance and would strongly urge anyone else against it too. My recommendation is they spend less on advertising and more on paying claims in a timely manner.

On December 31,2016 I was in a car accident by one of GEICO customers. I was injured and they did take fault of the accident. For some reason I have not been able to reach the adjuster. I have emailed and left voicemail. Still no response. They claim they want to settle claims fast. Sure could have fool me. I really did want to get a lawyer involved but look like that's where it's headed. I really dislike this company. Or maybe they should train their employees better.

On December 18, 2013, my husband hit a car on back while parking due to a problem from his car. The other party does not live in Miami but Broward and was not present when the incident happened. My husband called me and we called police. The police officer made a report gave us a card with a report number and phone number to follow up. He also left one for the other party.

We called Geico a reported what happened. The representative gave us a claim number and let us to check the status online. I was the policy holder and added my husband to the policy. I checked the status many times and never found anything new. I had electronic mailing with Geico when renewing my policy. I decided to end it and requested to mail my policy paper information when renewing it. I found out in 2014 when we moved to a house and then noticed a big increase from our premium. Then, I decided to call Geico to find out why.

The representative told me it was because of the accident and they paid $2000 to the other party. I asked why I never received an EOB because as a policy holder I should receive one and Geico is making payment on behalf of me. I continued to tell him why Geico never send me any update and when I checked the status online it was still the same and nothing changed. He replied by saying they sent an adjuster to make an estimate of the damage of the car from the other party. I asked for proof like sent me receipt and EOB. He then said it was confidential and could not send me anything. He proceed to say he could send me a letter. I then said no. I need receipt from you that stated how much you paid because you would say the same thing information on the letter of what you were telling me over the phone. That was when I realized Geico did not pay but reported.

I would not mind at all if It paid because it would be fair. I wrote a review on its website but never published it because it was not a positive review. I then went to its Facebook page and wrote one. They finally answered but not much. I trusted Geico but never thought it was a greedy company. I never write review to bash any company, but I was very hurt and decided to write one about Geico. It is still now on my record. I filed a dispute yesterday with Lexis Nexis, a company that most insurance company use to run potential buyer report when getting auto insurance. I was told it will take 30 days to get a response. I write this review to help other consumers check their report and follow up with their insurance company to make sure they really pay when they increase the premium. I am sure most of the customers do not know or realize that.

I was rear ended by a person that is covered by GEICO. The person that hit me is 100% at fault. The car I was driving when I was hit was a 1967 Mustang GT Fastback (excellent condition). I just purchased that car the day I was hit. The damage was rear quarter, bumper, trunk face, gas filler... I had the car towed to a shop that works on classic cars and performs restorations (because GEICO said I can take it to the shop of my choice and they are 100% responsible for the damages). Well that is not so. The quote from the shop was $15,000 with 123 hours of labor. There is a lot involved to finding NOS parts and matching paint. Well GEICO came up with $4800 as their estimate and 49 man hours of labor. GEICO was only willing to pay $48 an hour labor to a custom shop that has a posted rate of $125 a hour.

Now I am stuck having to pay out of pocket for repairs and paying out of pocket for a lawyer in attempt to recover money that GEICO is not willing to pay. Would you trust a shop that is only making $50 a hour to work on your classic car. Oh did I mention this is on Long Island NY, one of the highest taxed and property prices in the country. And the Adjuster kept arguing with me over what a shop can charge and then I got his advisor on the phone and he also argued that any shop can repair my car. There was nothing special about my car.

On 08/25/16 I was hit head on by a young man who was insured by Geico. He was completely at fault in the accident. It totaled my truck and has cost me well over 10,000 in medical bills. Which I tried to settle well below his policy limits to make it faster. Since that didn't work I hired a lawyer who is now going after more than max policy and suing the insured for the remainder. Just makes me sick that this company cares so little for their clients that they didn't try to protect him from such a lawsuit when they could have.

I tried to switch from Arbella to Geico, for 1 year. Immediately after the initial quote, the policy came in the mail at a higher rate, which they state they have the right to do in Massachusetts. They can review the policy periodically and make changes. My daughter was rear ended at a complete stop in traffic, and we were surcharged, because they stated it made her a "higher risk" now, because she was a new driver. I was hit also in park, and my "authorized" repair shop, said they hated dealing with Geico. At the end of repair, my shop still didn't have a check, as in prior experiences, the Insurance Company always sends its driver the check to sign over to the shop. He only released the vehicle to me because he knew us. Then the rental, was paid by me, even though I had rental car on my policy. I went to Enterprise to return the vehicle and Geico refused payment.

Ok, it was a busy summer day at the airport and a line out the door, so I forked over my credit card, and paid it. I fought, and after 3 months, I was refunded through the guilty driver's company. Needless to say, I switched back to Arbella, and learned you get what you pay for. You will save money, no question, but ask the right questions about their right to change your agreed quote, and under what circumstances they can change your policy. Remember, little red riding hood and the wolf in the grandmother's clothes... buyer beware.

I have never had an insurance company that was helpful! It has always been the other way around with Geico. Customer service goes above and beyond to help the customer. They answered our questions no matter what while we were on the phone. Never had a problem with Geico.

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO, DRIVE HALF A CAR? I too have notified the Florida Dept of Insurance and filed a complaint. As all of the other comments have stated, Geico balks at the idea of repairing a WHOLE car. Their preference is to repair half of a car, or as little as possible. My repair shop reported to Geico that as a result of an guardrail accident, my Mercedes was knocked out of alignment, and Geico's beginning the repair over a month later of the claim being filed, caused premature wear of the tires. One tire in particular, wore down excessively so I replaced it myself, while waiting on Geico. According to the repair shop that new tire too began to wear prematurely, Geico refuses to pay for repairs to my tires. The Geico Adjusters will not accept the mechanics expertise on repairs. Geico apparently wants to pay for as little as possible, as opposed to safely making needed safety repairs. So, they are setting up for the next accident.

I have been on numerous conversations with Corporate who flip it back to the field adjusters. The Manager of the adjusters in Treasure Coast Florida refused to answer my calls, or Corporate calls they placed to him, while I am on the phone! He later writes he made calls to me and left voice messages. How absurd! What a way to dodge responsibility! Geico apparently approves of such deceitful methods. I have been with them for many many years, but this event and the others I see written, confirm that the Geico is sick! I too will be seeking other carriers with more reliable insurance who REMEMBER what business they are in. I advise others to do the same before it happens to you!!!

I have been with Geico for over 15 years. The rating should explain why they have my loyalty. The rate has gone up over the past couple of years, but this is due to my car no longer being new, and the area I live in. Even though I haven't visited the local agent, I have dealt extensively with customer service over the phone, as well as agents on the website.They are all oriented towards great customer service. When I called because an animal had run into my car, the customer service rep was very sympathetic, courteous, and understanding. I was put in touch with the repair shop, and the work was done within 3 days. I would not change a thing.

I changed my homeowners insurance carrier to a policy I purchased through GEICO. The policy is listed as Universal North America Ins. Co. / Arrowhead General Insurance: Producer GEICO. In the six months since I opened this policy it has cost me over $700 in premiums that my previous carrier refused to refund me because they were not notified of the new policy and I have received letters from my mortgage carrier stating they received no record of the new insurance coverage. When I contact Arrowhead they point at GEICO. When I call GEICO they point at Arrowhead. I'm not even sure who Universal North America is. The rates are no better than anyone else and the lack of communication makes this an awkward and disappointing company(s?) to do business with.

Had geico over 5 years now and never had a problem. They're quick to handle claims, they stand behind you. No red tape. And they don't keep raising your rates like other companies I've had in the past.

I obtain quotes for alternative companies on an annual basis and Geico always comes in with best value for the money. Have filed minor claims for windshield replacement, and a major claim for an accident. Representatives on the phone were always courteous and asked if anyone was hurt & how we were doing. They provided efficient repair service in a timely manner. Will probably stay with Geico through many, many vehicles.

I have been a licensed driver since the age of 16, I am now 50. Never had an accident except for one in 2015. I was found not at fault however Geico does not care and wants to hold me responsible for one accident in over 20 years and refuses to insure me. After reading several of the reviews, I thank God they wouldn't answer me. Buyers beware.

The claims process was easy but my adjuster was very young, poorly spoken, and surprisingly ignorant about insurance law in my state. I am a former agent and adjuster for another company and I was shocked at how she could not answer even the most basic questions. I have had better service for routine things like roadside assistance. Geico is economical but if you want a better experience from insurance "professionals," go elsewhere.

Hurricane Matthew damaged my home. This was October 8, 2016. I am now into the end of January 2017 and continue to need a roof, and have further damage from rain since. I have had 5 adjusters since this incident with no continuity of handling this claim. The job of subcontractors has been placed on me. I specifically inquired about their role in this area before purchasing their insurance. I was assured they would completely handle the contractor issues. Not true!

I am 65 years old and having to struggle with finding people to do roofing and carpenter work, and do it with a estimate from their emergency contractor that assessed my damage. This person was going to do the repairs and then they were gone. I have had 2 estimates since with no union with the multiple adjusters. The change of adjuster every month is absurd. My opinion of anyone shopping for coverage is go to a local company and pay a little more for an agent, and save yourself the extreme problems of dealing with someone 3000 miles away that avoid direct questions and real issues that impact your life and wallet.

Their customer service is one of the best I've had and are always available. Everything is at your fingertips using the mobile app. You see the process, get the info, and request an update. It's great and very easy. GEICO would be perfect if they offered better pricing combos for home owners insurance. Since they partner rather than have their own, they aren't always the cheapest option.

A scammer hit my van while I was shopping. Geico's advice was to go through their insurance instead of mine and get a penalty or deductible. For years I had nationwide who screwed me royally in premiums. Being on social security I have to choose wisely, and Geico is a blessing cost wise.

Whenever I have needed to speak to a person, I have been quickly connected (no recordings) and my questions answered. The claim was handling quickly, courteously, and I received MORE than I expected to! I wish my insurance cost less than it does, but I trust GEICO will come through for me if I ever need to file another claim.

A hospital garage gate scratched my car, and they disgracefully didn't care until supposedly giving the hospital $2,500 for fixing their damage. But not until I almost physically threatened them that they then apologized while clearly reviewing my records while knowing that I was right instead. Geico is very busy with customers, and unfortunately not including very personal support with themselves. I rather wish if Geico can personally help out all customers very extensively, and presenting diversified method types about plans, and for logically pleasing them more instead!

My jeep was stolen and the adjuster DID everything she knew how to keep me from having a rental too long at a time. She continued and discontinued my rental 3 or 4 times in less than 30 days. Sad thing is I paid on a policy for the rental. If you have a commercial policy you may as well forget about having access to the covered items you are paid on. It was like taking money from their kids college. This lady was on their side 100% and no way was she going to let you keep a rental you paid a policy on, wanted me to bring my car back home while the guy who stole it still had the key. What and have it stolen again??? Who thinks like that? Not someone with good sense. Just steer clear! They are the worst commercial auto company, no customer service on weekends or if you have an accident or theft on weekend, you wait til Monday to try and get any help.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.
  • Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.
  • 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.
  • Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.
  • Best for New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Compare Auto Insurance