1.5/5 (70 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Spoke to three different agents and although my call went to the wrong person still found it a great experience to talk to the wrong agent. Very attentive, no whole time and all of them were extremely nice. I never write reviews but I had to do one for them today. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Very affordable auto insurance. Geico handled my auto claim quickly when my car was a total loss. Geico adjusters called first thing on Monday morning and by Thursday, I received a payment, that was deposited into my account. Didn't have to do anything else, amazing! I have had great customer service in every area with GEICO.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2021

You don't know anything about your insurance until you need them, when I had a fire they responded with grace, understanding and willingness to get my home fixed as soon as possible. The adjuster was great, explained everything, they trusted my general contractor, they gave verbal consents to the electricians that first day. They understood this was my home. Not just a claim.

Original review: May 21, 2021

What is GEICO going to do some protect our information possibly a year of some sort of cyber surveillance with the million dollar protection. I forget the name of the company but that’s usually the norm when there’s a data breach, it is the right thing to do.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Geico was at my side during the entire claim process. Kayla and Brent from SC did an exceptional job. Not only w their knowledge, professionalism and updates but they truly cared about me. The accident had me so stressed out. My car had a good bit of damage. Geico covered it all. Provided me with a 30 day rental car and paid all the bills pertaining to this accident in a timely manner. I wish I could give them 10 stars!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

It is impossible to get to speak to a person. There are some extenuating circumstances behind my claim.. Do you think I could suppressed to the adjuster..I have sent them documentation, called, texted.. I am being ignored.. I have been on hold for hours.. This should take 5 minutes.. not days.. There doesn't seen to be a resolution to this problem..

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I was a loyal GEICO customer for 15 years, with a pristine unblemished driving history and high coverage levels. I recently had a minor fender bender that was deemed by GEICO Claims to be '100% my fault.' Shortly thereafter, I received a form follow-up letter from GEICO stating that, for that reason, GEICO would not pay for damage repairs to my vehicle. A shocker to me. Does an insurance policy with these terms really represent meaningful protection? Thank God that it was a minor accident. I now do business with a carrier that has my back. BUYER BEWARE! It was definitely an eye opener for me.

As you review the content and conclusions of the attached scanned letter, attempt to put yourself in my shoes. An elderly 86 y.o. male, with minimal situational awareness swerves abruptly into your lane, and drags his driver side panel against your front bumper edge. No witnesses, other than an unintelligible elderly male driver, his wife and a police officer that showed up on the scene twenty minutes later to record statements.

The icing on the cake --- The 'final' verdict was rendered by Claims Adjuster #2, that contacted me several weeks after I was informed by Claims Adjuster #2, that the case was closed, and that the fault was clearly that of the elderly gentleman, and that they would be receiving no claims monies [Again, a complete absence of anything resembling 'no-fault coverage' on either side].

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

In 2019 I purchased auto insurance with Geico with an agent over the phone and after three months my policy went from 140 a month to 300 (This has never happened with any other auto insurance company). No one called me about this price change, I found out when trying to pay my bill. I called the customer service line and was told after looking into my policy the underwriting department defaulted my rate to a Miami rate because that is what my license had on it (I moved to Orlando for school and had been there for a year). They told me if I submitted documents like my school registration or a bill it will go back to a reduced rate.

I submitted all the docs that were requested, I was later told all I needed was an affidavit which they claimed to have sent in the mail, but I never received it. Every time I submitted a doc, I would constantly call in and get a different agent who did not FULLY understand the issue and would give me misinformation. The agents tried to pressure me into just paying the $300 but I told them I did not have enough money. (I was a full-time student and worked part time). It took more than a month to assist me with this issue and then my insurance cancelled because I could not afford the new rate amount.

Fast forward now to NOV 23, 2021, I called to inquire about auto quote because I still receive promo emails, and they inform me to purchase a policy I had to pay $200 due to the issue they cause in 2019. I spoke with Stacy ** who works in the underwriting department in Orlando, she informed me if I submitted my affidavit, and even though I do not stay at the same place but because I still live in Orlando, I would not have to pay the $200 and can continue with a new policy. She told me she would send out the doc via email (misinformation). When I did not receive it after an hour I called back and was told nothing had been sent out then the agent told me he would send the doc in postal mail due to the sensitive information.

I had never received the document in the mail and called customer service to get an update about if the affidavit and if it had been sent out. The agent said that it had already been received and processed (misinformation), after hearing the confusion in my voice he doubled back and contacted some above him. (I was on hold for 7-10 mins). When he finally clicks back over, he had informed that the document had been sent out, but I would have to pay the $200. I inform him that Ms. ** had given me different information, I became upset and asked to speak to a manager. After being transferred I spoke to Michelle (**) who is a "supervisor”, and she honestly had a nasty and unprofessional attitude.

She told me auto rate had changed due to fraud (misinformation) and that the underwriting department denied it and it was nothing she could do. I told her what I was told. That the affidavit was need (she could careless and yelled at me). After telling her what issues I had went through with this company she seemed disinterested as if she only intended to do her job and nothing more which only made me more upset because I was not being heard. Overall, this company does not care about its customers but only about money and it shows. They do not write good notes to relay information in the system that is why it is so much misinformation and confusing happening. I am VERY disappointed in this company and do not recommend.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I was t-boned by an old guy not paying attention. My new car, which I just refinanced the loan, was totaled. 3 weeks later, still no payment. Also they keep “losing” roadside assistance reimbursement receipt. Follow up calls about status get me nowhere. They keep bouncing me around to different departments, claiming the next department deals with what I need. I’m stuck without a car until I get that check. They won’t cover rental since claim is allegedly closed. STAY AWAY FROM GEICO!! I will be cancelling my policy once I get those payments.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

If I could, I would give a negative 20 stars. If you file a claim against one of their drivers, they would act so phony, refuse to pay no matter if their client caused the accident, and it doesn't matter if their driver got ticketed by police for the cause of the accident, they will still back up their driver. Even if they had stolen tags, left the scene of the accident and refused to provide their info they will back them up. And it doesn't matter how much proof you have that their driver is at fault, they will still back up their driver and find any lame excuse to not pay.

I could have had the accident recorded and they would have still found any excuse to not pay. They stand behind their driver when they break the laws driving and is obviously saying it's ok what they did. I had all the proof to show otherwise. And it's a crock because on their website it states they "may decide to request a copy of the police report..if they feel it's needed" so I am sure that's how they get out of paying. Because even though I sent in a copy of police report SHOWING their driver was found at fault and got ticketed, when I go check on status on my claim.. under police report it states there isn't one. I have emailed and took screen shots of police report and sent it in and they still show nothing of acknowledging it. They are stating it's ok that he turned in front of me even though he DID NOT have the right of way; he came into my lane next to me then tried to pull out in front of me.

I even have the statutes that their driver violated. Geico doesn't care. So I guess this insurance is for people who drive with stolen tags and break the law because they will defend those drivers and say it's ok. They refused to talk with my daughter (she was in car when it happened) because she is related to me. They said they won't accept anything from any witnesses that are family members. I told them she wasn't a witness to the accident; she was a part of the accident, she was involved and yet they wouldn't take her statement. I'm guessing because it would back me up and they can't have that or they would have to pay. So they would rather back up their driver who broke the law in countless ways.

GEICO Company Information