2.44/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

3192 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My car was towed to the repair shop after the accident. Next day when I went to inspect my vehicle I found damage on the car unrelated to the accident. The damage likely happened during the towing. When I called GEICO, they were very unprofessional and blamed me for the damage. I told them the car was not with me after the accident, to which they said they can't confirm that the damage happened during the towing. Ultimately, even after having several arguments with many GEICO representatives, they didn't agree to cover the claims under the claim. They stopped short of calling me a liar. NEVER EVER use GEICO. They won't cover your damages that happens during towing or at the repair shop. On top of that, they might call you a liar.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've been with them for several years. Have homeowner's and auto insurance with them but am taking my homeowner's and auto insurance and going back to a class company - USAA. My husband, who is a retired, disabled Special Forces Army Officer, had an accident Monday totaling his Mustang. My issue is that since the inception of this claim on Monday, they have transferred us to no less than 5 adjusters, no one will return phone calls and when they do, each person is not knowledgeable about the law.

I'm a 40 year retired paralegal and I don't need anyone talking down to me and attempting to educate me on the law. These people are basically just phone jockeys, not attorneys. I'm one step below an attorney. I think the people who are their adjusters are unqualified, rude, condescending, and basically just really stupid. Just save your money. Go to a reputable company like State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, USAA, etc. Also, their gecko is NOT cute and rather than spend millions and millions on advertising this stupidity, why not just hire better, more educated people and pay them better?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I cancelled my auto policy and switched to Progressive for better rates. After cancellation I received a bill for $67 because GEICO misapplied discounts to the policy. There was no communication other than the balance due and a request to pay or show proof that I was insured prior to the cancellation date with another provider which I did. I still received a collection notice and called Geico to remedy. That is when I was informed I owed $67 more for a mistake they made when applying a multi-car discount. There was no communication other than the bill and a request to show I had another policy. I was under the impression that companies are responsible for providing communication for the amount owed and what the charges are for.

I pay in 6 month increments and to my knowledge my policy was paid in full. I don't recommend Geico. They acknowledged the lack of communication and were only focused on collecting the money they hadn't collected due to a mistake they made and now they want to collect retroactively. I was also told a supervisor would call me back and that didn't happen. Where do I send the bill for the time I had to hold while my cancelled auto policy was reviewed multiple times. I will be moving my homeowners policy too. I don't recommend Geico!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I made a payment to these ** and little behold 2 days later my account is neg 72.00 because they tried to take more money out. What **. Then when I call them the jerk told me to call my bank. I said, "I did already and you guys are the one ** up, so stop trying to send me somewhere else when you are the problem." Thanks to this I have a baby shower this weekend that I needed my money and now I can't use it because there's a hold on my ** account. So I wish Geico had the balls to call me but they won't when they ** up. Thank you for the baby shower you **!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

After doing an online quote, called customer service. They went back 5 years and pulled up things that were about my son and girlfriend and not me, my quote went up. Then they said I owed them 420 dollars from 2012. So I had to pay that before we could move forward with my quote so I did. Then they did another review on me and my quote went up more. After 45 mins on the phone she then told me that she would have to mail me an application and I'd have to thoroughly go through it and fill it out and I would not be covered until it was filled out and returned via mail. In the meantime it would lapse my insurance.

So GEICO gives false rates to get you to call them and if you owe past money that's their way of collecting it and then not insuring you. And the rate giving online is only a way for them to get you to call them and they then can try and convince you to be insured by them and beware your rate will 100% change. No matter what they quoted you it's not guaranteed. Geico is a scam and the only way they can get people to call is by giving fake quotes online. Companies like them are based on false advertising and shouldnt be allowed to scam people like that. I cancelled my insurance with my other provider only to be lied to by Geico and now I have no insurance because of the lapse they caused me. Bad business and sneaky tactics, beware of Geico's false quotes. Terrible practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I went to add a car and noticed that they had added towing and rental reimbursement onto my policy without my permission. This is not the first time that this has happened. GEICO said that at renewal I should of checked and seen this. I don't review my renewal because if I don't make changes there should not be anything for me to review. Geico is well known for this scam, watch your policies monthly.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First, let me say this company is total fraud alleging to be a quote MILITARY company. They are NOT even associated with MILITARY in any way. That was a mere consumer hoax to attract MILITARY members active, retired, reservists any branch to do business with GEICO insurance. Second, let me say they keep you on the phone for hours and state you could save even more by combining home insurance with auto.

All they do is FARM OUT home insurance to other companies. You yourself could easily have called without the fraudulent GEICO personnel pretending to be YOU, quote to other REAL companies that are far far cheaper than GEICO. At this time GEICO is doing 6 month insurance policies and charging more than triple other companies for a YEAR policy. FORGET getting home insurance with them. It is a total FRAUD SCAM of GEICO. They contact other companies, put you on hold on phone while they are pretending to be you the CUSTOMER.

Third, this one you will love. GEICO driver safety program they offer. You log into their website and then pay a fee per driver rather than per household, and you pay $20 for a $1.00 savings or less. It's a total scam at best. Fourth, let me say when I received notice of insurance hike we found out the so called GEICO call representative NOT licensed professional insurance agent turns around and then states that some of GEICO call representative added more miles to my car than I was actually driving which caused rate hike so I said, "Fix it or I will drop you," as the company that formerly insured me over 12 years to date.

THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL FRAUD. In terms of consumer insurance provider, Farmers Insurance Group, Allstate.com, Travelers (Flying J) is far cheaper and quotes insurance for automobile per YEAR not a mere 6 month policy terms which is total rip off to all consumers for auto, motorcycle, boats, planes and more. The company is based in San Diego California depending on who you talk to. Fourth, Let me say this. The company is total FRAUD. Per phone call depending upon who you talk to they quote completely different price. Depending on the day you call and who you talk with each representative adds on commission per phone conversation with each consumer needs. Total fraud.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I joined Geico with my 3 vehicles & a trailer in Sept of 2017. Nov 3rd, called in to add a new vehicle that was purchased on Oct 23rd, told them to start the coverage on 23rd since I took the delivery that day. Nov 6th, I received new detailed declaration pages, I saw new vehicle coverage started on 11/3, not 10/23. They said because I called on 11/3, they can't backdate. Then noticed my existing vehicles were more expensive than it was. One single driver with 4 vehicles, Geico charges more money and only explanation is their contract!!! Full of B.S.!!! Clean driving record with no history of accidents for the past 28 years, charge me more money on existing vehicles as I added one new.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This August, I was in a car accident that totaled my car. Fortunately, I was not at fault, and GEICO helped me handle all processes regarding my car in an appropriate manner. They were great about communicating with me, leaving comprehensive messages, and answering the phone when I needed to call them about certain issues regarding the accident. Unfortunately, I had to be admitted to the hospital due to the accident, and this is the side of GEICO that was not so helpful. Upon leaving the hospital, I was handed a sheet of paper from the insurance consultant at the hospital and was told to bring it back, filled out, the next day. I did so, and received no further instruction. Two months later, I am being contacted by the hospital in multiple ways (email, phone, mail) and they are saying that they never received payment.

Since I was not at fault, the payment was not to come by me. Long story short, I am told by the hospital to contact one specific person about sorting out this issue. First, my mother contacted this person and it went to voicemail which had an outdated message claiming that they would be out of town for a certain period of time, and it was already past that period. Then, a few days later after receiving no response, I called this person and again it went to voicemail, this time with the voicemail message fixed. I leave a message and after a week, still no callback. Then I call a second time, leave a message, and still no callback.

Another week later (after my second detailed voicemail was not returned), I call again, and still no answer. This time, I called GEICO 's main number, was forwarded to auto claims, and I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a few minutes, I was forwarded to the supervisor and again, I get voicemail. I have left this supervisor another detailed message, and I hope that they will get in touch with me soon, but I am not hopeful. In all, if you are in the unfortunate situation that you have a medical bill that needs to be paid by GEICO or the other party, (politely) demand to sort out the problem with the first person who contacts you about it, because you will be hard-pressed to get in touch with the appropriate personnel if you miss a call.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Been with them 8 years. 5 months ago I Inquired about insurance rates if I decide to drive for Uber. I decided not to, and just received a letter stating they were cancelling my policy unless I got a letter from stating none of the policyholders work for them. They gave us 2 weeks. Never asked for an exception before but I'm really busy. They absolutely would not budge and said if I needed to shop around that was ok. Screw them. Going somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I'm the only one working right now. GEICO was charging over 1200 for a 6 month policy renewal, I can't pay that so I called. Spoke with an agent who cancelled my automatic payment, told me to look for pink envelope and call back to make arrangements, well I waited and did call. Now they went back on their word and now won't renew my policy unless I pay total premium which is crazy, GEICO charges too much. They are rip off. Don't go with GEICO!! You will regret it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

IF THERE WAS AN OPTION LESS THAN ONE STAR... I was rear ended May 2017 at a stop light. I got out of my vehicle and walked back to the car and the driver was screaming at me. I collected his name and address and DL# only after threatening to call the cops because he would not give it to me until then. I called Geico's claim department and told them what happened. I was phone interviewed once and then received a letter stating that the guy that hit me was insured with them also and called and Filed a claim, mind you he had none of my personal information. And told them I backed into him!!! Since there were no police reports they said that it was my word against his and they were not going to pay. They believed this liar and actually think that I broke the law and backed into him!!! There was probably $500 in damages and I recently sold the car.

I was just going to let this go until I got a quote online for a new car I wanted to purchase and then when I confirmed that I had purchased it the price jumped to $40 more per month than quoted. Amazingly the quote disappeared when I confirmed to add it on my policy. To add insult to injury Geico freaking reported an accident to the DMV!!!!! This company is the worst bunch of criminals I have ever had the displeasure of doing business with!! I just purchased a new auto and homeowners policy with another company and saved in total over $1,187 per year with a reputable company!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Geico Insurance took double payment from my Debit card and they won't give me my money back, I explained to the supervisor Shanika **, she was really rude with me, she hanged up the phone and blocked me. They are the worst insurance ever, if someone read this make sure don't make any payments until you are 100% sure that your policy is active. WORSE INSURANCE. Maybe they are going to blame the poor Geico cartoon on the tv commercial... Lol. For the bad customer service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I called in Sept 2017 for a quote as I was shopping for new homeowners and auto insurance. I received the quote and was satisfied but then the representative kept badgering me that I needed to give her authorization to "lock in the homeowner's quote". This would allow Geico, underwritten by Liberty Mutual, to start my policy and take the premium from my mortgage holder after 48 hours. BUT, if I canceled within 48 hours everything would stop and nothing would be done. They had a good price so I relented knowing I'd cancel in time if I decided not to go with Geico. That is EXACTLY what I did. I called at about the 40th hour, was transferred and spoke with Liberty Mutual, and stopped the policy from going into effect. All was right in my insurance world.

About a month and a half later I get a check in the mail for the full amount of the premium as a refund. "That's strange, I never paid that and it never came out of my checking account." After a few frustrating phone calls to Geico and Liberty Mutual we figured out what happened. The amount of the premium was taken out of my escrow account with my mortgage holder. Alright, irritating and I certainly won't use Geico after this but I'll just go deposit it back. Well, since my taxes and insurance premium from my actual insurance company had just been taken out this unauthorized withdrawal left my escrow with a negative balance.

The negative balance resulted in my mortgage payment going up for the month. Luckily depositing the check back in set things straight but this was a whole lot of frustration, headache, and a 30 minute drive to the closest Wells Fargo that I will never even think about using Geico again. They screwed me once in 1996 when they dropped my comprehensive coverage after my wife had an accident without notifying me beforehand but I figured I'd give them a chance after 21 years. I'm done with you Geico. Worst. Insurance Company. Ever.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

3 years ago, I switched to GEICO. I received better coverage & saved almost $1,100 by doing so. My insurance premiums started off @ approx. $240. Now they are up to $375!!! I have NEVER filed a claim & NEVER been in an accident. I was informed that they just had a "rate increase." Huh??? Must have been one heck of an increase! I'm insurance shopping now to get out of this mess.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My husband selected this insurance years ago based on the monthly premium and because we are now senior citizens, we don't really worry about much. The only need we've had was to replace the front window which had a crack from a pebble that hit the windshield. That was quickly and effectively handled.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

15 minutes can cost you everything you own up to 100% - I've had the worst experience ever in my life with 1 company GEICO. I have had a simple hit and run claim and they refused to tow my car, provide me with a temporary rental, and have made me give them everything that I hold very personal. Such as, my phone records for my entire 5 line families, Oil change records. Sent people to my house without properly notifying me and I have Geico people at my home were children between 2-4 years of age were scared because they have been taught to never allow strangers in our home, and they are trained to not ever open the door without calling us and physically walking to the door.

It's not the worst thing to go through but I'm so fed up, It makes no sense that a simple claim takes over 50 days from today. These people are here to take money from you every month and then when something happens and you use a service God knows how much we've paid insurance company and have literally never use them until now. This is a big business. Don't be fooled. Press your local politicians and lobby to all governments. Write a letter and keep complaining. It will be heard!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Geico handled my claim with efficiency and in a most timely manner, although they are not the cheapest insurance company. Also, it was paid promptly and there was a minimum of paperwork that I dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

So I purchased a new car and the insurance company that I was with jacked my rates so I switched to GEICO. Worst mistake of my life! 1 week later I total the car and GEICO refused to pay since it happened "suspiciously" after I switched to GEICO. Even though me and my wife have been paying for full coverage for close to 15 yrs continuously without a claim! I had to store the car and purchase another out of pocket.

I'm waiting for my wife to graduate with her RN degree before we file an official lawsuit since we didn't want to deal with a lawsuit while we are so consumed by her school and my business. The cherry on top came in the form of a letter yesterday from GEICO telling us our insurance is terminated due to the claim that they didn't pay! Plus now I can't get another insurance due to this claim from GEICO. This is just absolutely the worst company I've ever dealt with. I got duped into saving 10% on my rate by absolutely getting screwed over. Please pay the extra 10% for another insurance company to not fall into the same situation I did.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My car was hit in the parking lot by an uninsured driver. However, the driver was considerate enough to come find me and tell me that she hit my vehicle. We exchanged information and I filed a claim. Now, despite many calls to the claims department from both me and the woman who hit me, the matter has still not been settled. It's been nearly three months because perhaps out of every four calls I make, only one gets returned. The woman even gave me a call list to show how she's been trying to get in touch with GEICO in order to set up a payment plan. Seriously?!?! The person who hit me and damaged my car is being more proactive than my own insurance company that I pay monthly. It's utterly ridiculous. As soon as this year is up, I'm dropping this insurance and trying Allstate. The people I had to work with at Allstate when handling my mother's accident were far more professional, courteous, and on the ball than this lot.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My experiences with Geico Ins. have always been positive. I have purchased auto insurance from them for over 40 years, and have never had any problems. When my claim was investigated, it was handled promptly. Overall, Geico is a good company, policies are fair value.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My daughter had accident and Geico responds quickly. We have tried other companies with agents but we're disappointed that we had to wait for the agent to respond to everything. Geico is open 24 hours and you can talk to people who can help.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Before signing in with GEICO I have 2 moving violations one 2013 and other 2014, and 3 car accidents no not my fault (2016) (2017) (2017). Sometime happen having accident same year each one but wasn't my fault. On 2016 I was looking for a good deal car insurance and I was with State Farm Insurance but I was paying a little too much so I decided to call GEICO. Then I was approved with the record I have. And then I have another accidents. Then after one month they send me a letter by mail. On letter say "(Jon Doe) we discontinued car insurance." That's ** top. That's how GEICO KICKS out customer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Someone with GEICO insurance hit my parked car recently. Since it was their fault completely, I let GEICO deal with the repair instead of using my Mercury policy which covers only OEM brand NEW parts! These ** at GEICO use used parts from junkyards! When I went to pick up my car, the used door was not even flush with the side. The used mirror they put in had paint all over the mirror part. The interior trim was damaged. The molding on the door was warped! I was told by the GEICO rep that new parts would be used if a used part was tried and not working. GEICO lied! This was the second used mirror they got. My parents have GEICO. I will recommend they switch ASAP! A class action suit needs to be brought against these bastards!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Called in July to get insurance at the end of August. They quoted my insurance for both car and home and I decided to get their insurance. They said that they would send someone out to see the house and I assumed that it would be before the policy was in force. They took my money for a year of insurance in August and then sent their rep to see the house at the end of September. I told them exactly what I had and they cancelled the policy due to having an inground pool which I told them all about on the phone back in July. I have not received any money back. This is an extremely poor way to conduct business.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Received a letter that my rate would go up by $50.00 per month due to $3000.00 claim after 4 years of faithful payment. Rep told me that there was no other person that I could discuss this with and "that's the way it is." I wish I never filed a claim with these con artists.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I called to see if I would qualify for accident forgiveness because I received an email from them, (Geico), letting me know there could be a possibility I would be able to qualify if I had not had any accidents in 3 or 5 years. Well I had an at fault accident 2 months ago and asked if I qualified and they said no because my husband had an accident in 2014 which he had not, the neighbor hit our vehicle, and that my son's car had been rear ended last year. When I told the representative that those were not at fault accidents, she said any claim even no fault accidents for all of us on the policy disqualified me from qualifying for the accident forgiveness even if this was my first at fault accident in 5 years. Why advertise Accident Forgiveness for an at fault accident when they do not give it to you because they count the no fault accidents against you. Doesnt make any sense????

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I had always respected GEICO, as they were so involved with the military when I lived in San Diego, CA. Now I am sickened, as they have shown their true colors. My son served in the US Navy and after 4 years moved to a small town in WA to go to school on his GI Bill. He was just in his '20s and was driving a small beater car to get to and from school. While at a stoplight, an insured Geico driver in a big vehicle with a wench, plowed into my son's small car, and totaled my son's car. My son, being unaware of the "big insurance company business ploys", did not go to a hospital, as he thought he would be OK at the time, because "he was young and could handle it". When I was informed, days later, I had a fit!

I am an ER nurse and know that you need to be checked out after an accident. He did not heed my advice. He soon experienced problems, as he was rear ended, sitting turned towards his right to the passenger side of the car, so the injury was not a normal front to back, which is not good, but a diagonal injury is worst!. My son had USAA and was seen for his injury later by a chiropractor/doctor. Geico refused to cover any of the injuries that were over and above what USSA paid, and has put him through hell! He was just asking for the amount owed above what the insurance paid out, which was under 5000.00. He was not asking for much, except to be compensated for an ACCIDENT THAT WAS NOT HIS fault!

He moved away to continue his education and is now back in Spokane working on a master's degree. He is still being treated with disrespect, having to get an attorney, going to depositions in Seattle and while on his way Geico attorneys cancelling his meetings/deposition. Long story short, they have dragged this out and now want to go to trial next year! My son is in an intense master's program that takes 3 years and crams into 1 year, and cannot miss school, or afford to take trips, but has had to take two trips to the west side of the state for Geico. Going to trial is a gamble for Geico, but I have informed my son that he may only sue for the minimum amount, but IF HE LOSES, HE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WHOLE EXPENSE OF THE TRIAL AND WILL BE SUED FOR THAT AMOUNT! A trial can run over 100,000.00.

Most people are not aware of this and my son, who was involved in an accident that was accepted by GEICO as "not his fault" could be ruined financially by these corporate slums!!! But if my son wins at trial the poor guy, who is represented by GEICO, will most likely be sued by his own insurance company to recoup the loss. NOT COOL GEICO! This was not a big settlement, as he needed his medical covered, probably would of taken a small compensation and to have his attorney paid, as he was forced to get an attorney because Geico played games. They are taking advantage of the little guy. My son is a honest, hardworking vet and is educating himself to be a productive member and contributing member of society, but this is what the insurance companies do, instead of pursuing those that scam and lie. Thanks Geico for your support. NOT!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Once my car got picked by the tow truck, because Geico VIN # did not match my cars. This happened on a Sunday when I was out town, by the time I came back it was already Tuesday, car has been in pound for 3 days. Went to DMV, they had the correct VIN # the same one on the pink slip I have so it was not their fault, clearly GEICO when they took my application took the wrong VIN. Three days in the pound plus police fees added up to $800.00 plus I did not go to work for one day. Totals up more than $1,000.00 dollars. And now they do not want to admit their fault.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 extended cab dually was stolen from my home May 31, 2017 and we filed the police report and reported it to GEICO. GEICO offered less than Kelley Blue Book for the truck as if it were in fair condition. I’m refused the offer, and hired an independent appraiser and GEICO hired their preferred paid for hire hustlers. After 5 months and 18 days they came back with an offer on the lowest end of fair Kelley Blue Book.

The original offer included tax so a normal assumption would be that the settlement offer would include tax but it’s just another opportunity to add insult to injury and screw the customer of 10 years a little bit harder. This by far is the worst experience I can remember other than finding the truck was gone at 5:00 am when it wasn’t time to go to work. And they pay up to $900 for a rental but have a pay limit of $30 per day so my 8 days of $45 per day truck rental during hurricane Irma will also be prorated even though I did not reach the $900 limit.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky