Call toll free*
Call toll free
2.40/5
Based on 536 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

3582 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have used GEICO for years. I am working with them now for a car purchase. They have been very knowledgeable and patient. The car dealer is another story. I think I experienced bait and switch. They have a policy in place for me. Now I gave them another VIN number for a more expensive car. If this doesn't test drive well tomorrow or the bank doesn't like the deal for some reason, they will refund all my money for this paid six-month policy. How many companies would be so accommodating? You also can get your other insurances through them at a great discount. For well over fifteen years I have sent them many satisfied customers from my experience.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Very professional, and handled everything. When I filed a claim, an adjuster called right away, gave me an estimate, I got a check two days later! Good coverage at a reasonable cost. No red tape, great customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had my car insurance with GEICO for more than 4 years. I did not realize HOW TERRIBLE & HORRIBLE service of their claim department until this week. I hope my experiences with GEICO can help other people not becoming the insurance's victim like me. :( This Monday I was driving my car on San Marcos Blvd in San Marcos. Suddenly the car in front of me STOPPED hardly and I stopped very hardly too. Maybe the car in front of me carrying baggage in the trunk so the front car felt my car collided with her car. So we pulled over and inspected the cars and no damage was found (Not even a scratch)!!!

However my insurance company, Geico, determined the collision was my fault!!! Because the driver of front car was working for Geico!!! So ridiculous… Anyone who is reading my review about GEICO, watch out... Maybe their premium is cheaper than Allstate, State Farm, Triple-A, Progressive but their service is horrible and not responsible for their clients. If you are with GEICO be prepared for the nightmare if someday you are involved in car accident.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am very dissatisfied at the lack of help from Geico's Roadside Assistance Service. I had a tire blow out on my way to work this morning @ 7:40 am. In the moment, I was happy that I have roadside assistance. I pulled out my ID card and called in for help. I was directed to download the Geico App for faster service. I quickly downloaded the app, which got stuck on the main screen twice. 20 minutes later I gave up on that option. I then called the 1800 number. I spoke with a representative. Who advised after 20-30 minutes that she was unable to assist me. She further advised that there were not any providers nor non-providers in the area that we able to come to my rescue. She advised me to find help on my own, then submit the invoice to the ERS Department for reimbursement.

So here I am stuck on the side of a major highway (840 west mile marker 45) with semi trucks flying by at 80 miles per hour left without any help from Geico’s Roadside Assistance! This was a totally unacceptable experience with your company! I was forced to call 911 for assistance from the local law enforcement agencies. I will reach out thru social media to express my unhappiness with your customer service. I doubt if I will be a customer for much longer. This was a horrifying experience!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Paid for a rider on my policy for a rental vehicle for so much a day to a maximum monthly which I am nowhere near. I was told needed to have my car back tomorrow after only 12 days because my car was totaled and not repairable. If it was repairable I could have it longer. So I pay for a max of 30 days and get 12. I have no check for my totaled car and no vehicle to get around with. Protested to company. Got a "That is the way it is" attitude. Stay far away from this bait and switch company. I work for a living and depend on my car to live. Do you think anyone at Geico cares?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had a horrible experience with GEICO. The claim in my favor was never process and I was told that I WOULD HAVE TO PURSUE the plaintiffs myself. I was never fully represented although I'd paid GEICO. They should always treat others how they wish to be treated.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have had Geico for about 10 years now. We don't often use it but when we do, they provide us with excellent service. Their job is to be there when you need them. If we need roadside, there within 30 minutes. If we have glass problem, they send someone usually next day at my home. They are very accommodating and have a very fast response time. We recently had a snow storm and my vehicle was stuck in the mud. We called them, on what was probably a very busy day for them, and they were at my house within the hour to tow the cars out of the crevice I created trying to get the car off the grass. What more could you ask of an insurance company.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Been with them for years. YEARS. Always on autopay. Didn't realize a change in card would affect auto payments - received no contact or notice of non-payment... Missed ONE PAYMENT ONLY... And received a notice of cancellation. Scum of the earth. If that's how they treat loyal customers... I am looking for other providers online today.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Geico is a low-cost insurance company. Easy to use policy as well. Okay cs and friendly people. Overall gets the job done though they don’t have one on one assistance.

Original review: June 8, 2018

In June of 2016 I was backing out of a parking space at my bank. Another driver rear ended me in the right rear corner of my 2010 Ford Lariat. No damage was done to my truck but the car that hit me had a small hole in the grill. In Texas the law will not write up or come to an accident on private parking lots. The Lady called Geico before I had a chance and Lied about the accident. She said I backed into her. They believed her instead of me the policyholder. Since then they have raised my premium twice a total of $30.00 thirty each time. I have had no tickets. Premium is always paid on time. This seems very unfair. They put this on the insurance information hotline for all insurance companies to see, because of this I cannot get a lower rate at any other company. I was 68 when this happened. I will turn 70 the 22nd of June. I have driven for 54 years but that means nothing to them. They just want to screw me and steal all the money they can.

Original review: June 8, 2018

They sold me policy and I paid in full. I then cancel my policy with another company, printed insurance cards and thought I was done. However, two days later GEICO notified me of 40% premium increase... because they can. I would expect this book-case Bait-and-Switch tactics from used car lot. But here is the company that supposed to care for their reputation just rips me off. Unethical and can't be trusted.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This without a doubt the worst insurance company I have ever come across. We have been customers of theirs for 10 years. While sitting stopped at a red light behind about 10 other cars a SUV came flying up and hit us. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw just before he hit. He was on his cell phone. Once I checked on my wife I went to check on the driver that hit us to see if he was okay. He said he was sorry. I then asked what happened. He said, "I don't know. I am sorry." A truck pulled from behind him and drove by slowly. I said, "Were you hit from behind?" He said, "I don't know." Then he suddenly said, "Oh yeah. That must have been it." I called the police. Then went to the back of his car. There was no damage to the back of his car at all. Yet the front of his car and back of ours had considerable damage. When the police officer came the man told him he must have been hit.

I walked back to the back of his vehicle and showed him. There is no damage. Then took pictures. The police officer said he had to write it up that way. I said he is lying. I did not matter. We contacted Geico at the time of the accident. We did everything right. I took pictures of all sides and the back of the car. It is clear that there is no damage. The man lied. Once everything was filed. Geico decided that the man that hit us while we were stopped at a red light and he was talking on the phone WAS NOT AT FAULT!!! Scott the adjuster supposedly on our side was horrible the entire time and very rude. His supervisor Andres his supervisor was even worse. We have 4 cars insured with them. We own our home. I own a business. Either of which thankfully are not insured by Geico and never will be.

To make this worse Geico and the police officer shared our home address with the man that hit us. We have young children. I had thought I noticed a car like his around our house which I found strange since our neighborhood is a circle. I went back and looked up the man that hit us and found he has a charge of lewd and Lascivious acts on a child under 12 on his criminal record. I could not make this up if I tried. It is all a matter of public record. GEICO WILL NOT AND DOES NOT LOOK OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTERESTS!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had to go through a Geico claim after my glass got cracked due to a stone off the highway. It was for a BMW 2016. They mentioned to me too that it's an easy process. Just let us know who we are getting it repaired by and that they will cut us a check once the repair was done. I had to take it to the BMW dealership since that was a specialized windshield that BMW repairs. Upon receiving the repair bill $1600 I submitted it to Geico and Geico only cuts a check for $1100. I was livid when I saw this as this would mean that I have to come up with 500 + the deductible of 100 to pay these crooks.

They specifically mentioned that they will cover but that is not what happened eventually. It is a very sad situation and I am thoroughly disappointed in their practices. I have been with Geico over 16 years and never have I had to pay anything out of pocket during an accidental repair other than the deductible. Well Geico just lost a customer for being too cheap to cover a simple repair. Highly suggest others to stay away from GEICO!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

For a single-driver policy, it's pretty much the cheapest you can get. I pay about $50 a month for full coverage on a 06 Toyota Corolla. Although I'm not terribly upset with Geico, they really upset me when it came to my accident. My coverage allots a Rental Reimbursement of $30/day up to $900. However, my claims person said they could only get me a rental for 5 to 10 days. It was like pulling teeth extending the rental. They ended up only giving me 9 days (or 7 if you don't include the first day and the day I dropped it off).

On top of that, they (Enterprise) charged my personal credit card $76.10 for a remaining balance! I had to contact claims and get them to send me a refund check, which they did, but what a hassle. All in all, I ended up purchasing a car I dislike because I felt so rushed to make a decision and not having any transportation to and from work (being without a rental). You get what you pay for with Geico. I suppose it's cheap, but you're just a number to them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Two of my vehicles suffered identical hail damage covered under a GEICO policy. Due to the status of working away from home by myself, I requested an adjuster to come out to my apartment to view both vehicles. Nevertheless, Geico set up at Caliber Collision in College Station, Texas to adjust vehicles by appointment. First vehicle appointment scheduled for thirty minutes lasted beyond an hour and a half in which I lost time from work due to the Geico's emailed address for Caliber Collision and Google maps location. The second vehicle appointment, I scheduled for Saturday on my day off work. Both processes involved filling out paperwork including a form from the business of Caliber Collision in regards to an individual's desire to have their vehicle repaired there or not.

Although the Geico rep informed me the owner of vehicles may choose their place of repair, I felt pressure and thought these words were misleading. Especially since I did not see anyone else from any other vehicle repair business on the premises having their paperwork filled out. After scheduling repair appointments at another business, I encountered a supplemental denial on my second claim by a Geico adjuster. Go figure. The place of business informed the Geico representative to contact me about their denial. Consequently, I never received an email or phone call from this claims adjuster. Furthermore, it took an Act of Congress to reach the original surveyor; I called 800 number, used Geico app message center, emailed, and texted before I received a message from him sent directly to my video voice mailbox.

Finally, after requesting an audible voice call from him by text, I received a voice phone call; the repair shop I chose also emailed him and received no response. Needless to say, I'm very upset but thankful to have encountered all these Geico events during hail damage claims. I can not imagine what type of issues my family may have encountered from a collision involving bodily injury. As a result, on June 4, 2018, I informed Geico of having no plans to renew my policy on June 13, 2018. Although I still have several days left on my policy, my Geico app mysteriously stopped working and they know why. God bless.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have peace of mind with GEICO. Filed a claim for a rental car... Fast and easy. A tree went through the windshield during a storm. Geico handled everything with Enterprise. And my rate has never gone up in 5 years. My renewals are automatic and I barely notice when I roll into a new year. I'm considering moving my homeowners policy to Geico... They've offered a decent multi-policy discount. I have no reason to even shop for better service. Very satisfied.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have dealt with GEICO for many years and I am very satisfied with their performance. Since I began dealing with GEICO they have always dealt efficiently with my account and consistent provided the lowest price for identical coverage.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I checked around many companies on prices. Gieco is definitely the least expensive and offered more for my money. They solve every issue politely, quickly, and hassle-free. They also have an app which is very convenient and I love the roadside service, it's included. I have windshield replacement as well.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I had Geico for a year and everything SEEMED fine. Recently I added a third car to the policy. The rep took out my second car from the policy without my authorization. When I found out, I called to ask why my 2nd car was taken out of the policy this month. The Geico rep added the car back on the policy (for 12 minutes my second car had coverage) but then said I would be charged $600 next month since they backdated my coverage charge but did not waive the coverage charge due to their error. The rep denied the error that my second vehicle was ever taken out of the insurance.

The rep told me well if I had been in an accident, they would have covered my second vehicle even though it was not listed on the policy. (Yeah right!) I cancelled the policy and was told my last bill would be mailed out and not charged to my account. I wake up this morning and find a charge of $219. When I called the rep, she denied that I was told I would get my last bill mailed and refused a refund. Now the insurance database shows my second car had no insurance last month AND I’m overdrawn from a bill that should have been mailed out instead of taken out of my account. I was screwed over TWICE by the same company!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Geico is cheap and easy to set up and make changes. They are awesome. Can manage everything through their app to work with and very friendly. Also, they are very flexible with payments. All in all, Geico is great. I would recommend everything about them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

When I called Geico for a quote, they told me it as 640ish/year for me and my son. They tried using the 'quick sale' technique, saying "can I sign you up now, can I sign you up now?" I told them I wanted to compare them to my current policy line by line... after adding the items that did not match up, they quoted 658/yr. I kept asking: "this is for a WHOLE YEAR?" I asked more than one time... at least 3, and I was assured it was for a whole year. COME TO FIND OUT AFTER SIGNING UP, THAT IT'S 658 FOR 6 MONTHS. SO they LIE!

Original review: June 1, 2018

The experience I had for purchasing the insurance was quite easy. All I did was go to purchase a new car. I called Geico from there and they signed me up right away. They have an office nearby where I live so it is very convenient to visit them personally. They're not hard to afford either and have pretty good coverage. They dont take as long to get to you as some insurance companies do either which makes them reliable. I like Geico because they covered up to 500 dollars in damage for hitting a pole even though it was my fault. Also, they're always reachable by phone.

Original review: May 31, 2018

When I started my insurance policy I was quoted a price and at that time they were the cheapest. I started my policy with my down payment. Within the first month they sent me an email stating that there was a mistake in the amount that I was to pay but being it was almost double that they wouldn't be taking a automatic payment that month. The month after that my insurance was canceled. They sent me a notice stating my automatic payment for the month before had been returned and that I needed to pay in full. I received another bill a week later that said I needed to pay two months and a new deposit to restart my policy.

I called and spoke with an agent to find out if I was covered or not. She stated that I wasn't and that the only way was to pay two months "back payments" and a new deposit. How can I owe you two months of payment when only had insurance one month? And when I asked if there was any way they could work with me on the back pay I was told it was not their fault I didn't pay my bill. How is it my fault they didn't do the auto payment? I guess my problems with them was worth me finding a new company. I pay less than half the amount GEICO was charging me. ##NEW COMPANY IS AWESOME. ###NEVER GOING BACK TO GEICO. ##NEVER SEE ANY MORE MONEY OF MINE.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have GEICO auto insurance and I was able to purchase it at the dealership while finalizing purchase details for my car. I like that GEICO's costs are low and that its app makes contact with GEICO employees and services simple. I like how easy it is to change aspects of my coverage from the app. Though I would like it if GEICO's car insurance prices were even lower. I also wish it were easier to compare auto insurance prices between insurance providers. I wish differences in prices were explained and that there were more discounts available.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have Geico insurance and I am very satisfied with my insurance company. We considered several companies for our insurance. Originally we had American Family insurance, but it was too expensive. With Geico, my sister and I share a policy. I have liability insurance on my 2004 Honda Accord and my sister has full coverage on her new Ford pickup truck. She also has homeowners insurance. The cost of coverage is very reasonable since my sister requires full coverage auto insurance as well as homeowners insurance. All I had to do to get covered was to go online, answer questions and pay my premium. My sister prints out my card and brings it to me. Once, my sister did file a claim because a sign hit her truck and they settled her claim immediately. It is a great company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Twenty one years ago, Mercury raised my rate by 101.00 so I shopped around and called Geico. Oh my God, the discounts were great... so we signed up with them! They have better rates than Mercury Insurance, they take better care of my family, and we have mechanical breakdown on our cars that other people don't offer. Purchasing an auto insurance was so easy. They asked me about all the cars we had and what do we do for a living. However, I want a lower deductible than 500, but they don't offer it! It would help our coverage more than what we have. I would rather have to come up with 250.00 for a door dent than 500.00!

Original review: May 29, 2018

We (husband and I) had Geico for a long time. Years. Never had an issue. Until we got another car and that’s when all the problems started. First they took out an automatic payment last month from a different account and didn’t have the funds and had to pay an overdraft fee from them and the bank. Fine. Partly our fault but an inconvenience. Then I get a statement from them saying I had to pay a full amount of $2,445 in 2 weeks! Like who has that money? I called customer service and they said I was on a one pay plan. Um if that was the case then why was money automatically taken out last month??? No help. They proceed to talk to me in insurance person terms that make no sense to try to justify why I had to pay the full amount.

I’m not paying 2 grand. I don’t have that. So I ask for the monthly plan because this way I can pay on my own terms manually and not have to worry about overdraft fees. Sure but you have to pay $945 because we are “written with the state and are required to have monthly plan users pay 30 days in advance on top of their current bill”. BS! Finally I ended up just doing automatic payments with my other bank account that I know I’ll be good. But come on. They make payment plans confusing, hard and complicated and do not accommodate you at all!!! My mortgage is easier to pay than Geico. Stay away from them if you don’t want trouble!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I love Geico because everything is accessible through the app which easy to download, use and pay. All the information is saved and displayed in an easy to read manner which allows you to checkout faster. The price is also broken down. And there is reminder text when it is due. I also love how fast and convenient it is to pull my insurance card. However, they should have cheap rates for using online service and accident forgiveness. Also make sign in with finger would be easier.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I am very honest & accountable for my personal behavior. My profession is psychiatric therapy & I strive to teach people to be accountable and good role models. I was married for 20 years & learned my husband was having affairs; got divorce-he appealed & I also won that. My ex Still has not paid me for joint assets ($200,000+) after multiple hearing in Family Court & him being found in Contempt, each & every time. Lost our home to foreclosure approximately 3 years, so I am certain my credit is less than stellar. Around that time, I was also late on my payments to AARP Auto Insurance Hartford, who did not renew me. I understood & moved to Geico.

Initially, was pleased with their service & rates. No traffic citations since I was 17 years old & ran a stop sign in downtown Atlanta-in mid 60s now. Got a speeding ticket approximately 3 years ago in a well-known speed trap, Paid immediately after officer explained speed limit changes on road because of construction- not 45mph BUT 25 mph, RATES went from $245 to $900. I was astonished & livid!! Called after I had calmed down & young customer service woman told me it was because of my "age"!!! Told her NEVER paid these kind of rates at age 15-25!! She said I am now in MOST HIGH RISK age level for having accidents!! No more believe it than pigs flying!! Cannot wait to leave this company. PLEASE BEWARE before you purchase from them!! Thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I had an accident last Aug 2017. I was deemed not at fault, initially. After much review, Geico informed me I was 20% at fault, and the other party was 80%. I was told by my insurance adjuster that I should not be alarmed as my rates won't go up nor will the accident be considered my fault. Fast forward to May 2018 when my insurance is up for renewal. I get an email stating my insurance rates go up. I called Geico, and I get the same run around BS excuse as other reviews on here have stated - "increase in taxes in the state, account for everything... blah blah blah" I honestly think it's their protocol to say when a customer ask their rates going up.

Anyhow after talking to the customer service and claims, I was told in their system I was labeled "at fault, other". So I have reason to believe my insurance did go up with the accident that I was told back in Aug that it was "not at fault AND I won't see an increase in my policy" but it's ok, I saved 15% in my car insurance with ANOTHER COMPANY. =)

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky