2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5
Based on 1,595 ratings submitted in the last year

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Simple online quote process
  • Competitive rates
  • Mobile app
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid/electric

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

GEICO is the only insurance company I know of that offers mechanical breakdown as part of the policy for new cars. It duplicates what is there during the initial warranty but is so low cost that if you plan to keep the car past the warranty period, it just makes sense. I never thought I'd need it, but the sensors on my Mercedes went out after the term of the warranty. The cost of the mechanical breakdown came to under $100 per year with a $250 deductible. The cost of the sensor replacement would have been about $1800 without this feature of the policy. Work was done at the dealership and my service rep indicated no problem with labor rate or anything else. The work was approved faster than either of us expected.

Customer Service was great. Although I (fortunately) have never needed to claim anything other than this and glass repair, I'm sure the experience for any repairs would be equally as easy. The premium has been less or equal to any quotes I've gotten for comparable coverage (minus the mechanical breakdown). In short, I'm a happy camper.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I switched from USAA (veteran) to Geico - due to an approx 50.00 monthly savings for the exact same coverage! This in itself was a tremendous break. But I'm here to tell you about the Roadside Assistance coverage and how it's worth every bit of the added additional charge to my policy. To say "Life Saver" seems almost an understatement. The Geico app is intuitive and so easy to use - it will even pinpoint your car's location- very handy when you're in an unfamiliar neighborhood. AND- the CS reps are so helpful if you need to call. Everything is automated - so you don't have to call - but if you want to you can. How fantastic is that!! You can even lodge a complaint or praise about the service provider they connect you with. Not to mention - you never need cash if you're calling for the services they cover at no additional cost to you.

Here's another plus to the service - there's no limit to the number of times you call them (some services will cost if you request assistance a second time for the same occurrence ie-I have my car towed (no cost) but that garage couldn't fix the problem - so I request another tow (at my expense -unsure if it's discounted). I called to have my car jump-started. I traveled 2 blocks and inadvertently turned off my car-not long enough run time for the battery to be brought back to life. Within 10 minutes of my first request - I was submitting a second. Neither one cost me anything (other than the "tip" to the driver - completely at my discretion). The cost for me 17.00 per month! Definitely worth it- I've used the service 3 times since signing on with GEICO - and I'm confident I already received a return on that $17 investment!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2020

As I was driving, I saw my tire pressure light come on. I attempted to put air in the tire but it just kept leaking out. I called my car company first and they were going to tow me but that is not what I wanted. I then called Geico and do you know that the first question they asked was "are you in a safe location?" Now, if that does not make me want to brag about Geico, I do not know what will. Any company who worries about their clients (customers) is a company that I will continue to do business with. I was told that the assistance would arrive in about an hour but the driver called right away and was there in about five minutes. The driver was a pleasure to work with and the entire experience was wonderful. If I have to be stuck on the road, I am happy to have Geico on my side.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I was in collision on January 2019 which was not my fault. I could not on my own make opposite party insurance pay for damage to my car. Geico promised to pay for all car repair per my insurance policy and file claim for the cost from opposite party. It took a while and I got disheartened thinking Geico is not going to help so I went with other car insurance. But even I was not with Geico any longer, they got refund from opposite party and refunded my portion. I feel like to go back to Geico as they stood for me long after I left. They also have super customer care service who have knowledge and compassion. One of the best insurance company in USA. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My wife and I have used GEICO for a few years and honestly the best insurance is insurance that you don't have to use. Unfortunately we have had to use Geico more in the last couple of years that we've used in 30 years prior. We have NEVER had any issues, My latest wasn't necessarily an accident but an Auto issue. The dealer claimed that several insurance companies handle these claims and some (like State Farm) either do not or they are so hard to work with that they aren't worth it. Geico was nothing but curious, polite, and helpful. They did exactly what they said they would do on time and all was good. I may be cancelled by Geico because of my latest mishap, (I hope not), but they have been great.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

We have Geico for years now that we need them they are not there to help. They have very poor quality customer service with my auto claim. Will never recommend this company. They charge highly price for assistance received is very poor.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I've been a Geico Customer for nearly 7 years. From my experience their claims service is horrible. They try to use after market parts that will void your warranty. They will try to have you pick up additional costs beyond your deductible. If you have a fender bender the fun begins. Two issues. First we were hit. That turned into a giant mess then finally got my deductible back after covering the bill myself. That took nearly eight months. Second time, hit in a parking lot by a auto lube employee who ran from the scene. Shop proved a video claiming they were not at fault. Now facts don't matter because the adjusters don't listen. Bottom line I was hit so hard that my SUV had nearly $9000 in damages. Yet the other vehicle had a minor blemish on the bumper cap. After nearly nine months it was settled in arbitration.

After having the video reviewed by the first adjuster I was informed that it was 50/50. Geico went to arbitration with just the video. No statement and a police report that show the driver hit and ran. I've had to spend hours on the phone. I've had adjusters tell me no the other car moved first, even when you can't see through a wall. Then the final adjuster who never spoke to me just filed the arbitration with the video which shows the other car never yielding, driving across a parking lot and hitting me. They didn't call just got a form letter. I called and left a message, no call back. My rates had already gone up nearly double. No tickets, no other violations. Great credit history, no criminal record, own my own home, nothing- then I get a letter canceling my liability insurance claiming I have two accidents in the last three years. Odd you'd think you'd remember that fact.

So I begin another saga of what is going on. An adjuster that I was able to talk to said, "You filed a report on a Uhaul." Sorry but no, and it was a flat tire and I paid it. I asked was a claim paid, No. So then no accident right, well no a claim was filed. But you didn't pay any money and there was no accident. At this point I've talked to so many people and no one can fix anything or take responsibility for what others don't do. Is the cheap insurance worth it? Not sure but my record is a mess and they have attributed two accidents to me so forget moving to another carrier.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Was with GEICO for 22 years without an accident. Made the mistake of not looking around until I noticed high price of insurance on modestly-priced new family car, in relatively good accident rate area. Co-worker with car almost 3 times as much (Corvette) wasn't paying much more with a different company. Turns out GEICO was charging me 3X the rate that Progressive currently is, without any accidents and with 22 years of loyalty. Their commercials make me laugh, right before they cause the acid reflex right afterward.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I'm betting most of the positive reviews were made by GEICO employees as they know ConsumerAffairs can't question every single one of them. As I'm writing this, I just got done canceling a geico policy I never asked for and even rejected when it was offered to me. Apparently, this female agent decided she was going to get a quick boost in sales numbers at my expense. Geico, if you're reading this you need to keep tabs on the names of each agent and which customers they signed up for policies. On top of all of this, my parents quit using them as they repeatedly tried to scam my parents. Absolutely ridiculous, people don't give up your humanity for greed!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I have been with Geico for over a year now, and recently sustained a Total Loss Claim on my vehicle, which was financed. Ten days after the accident, they told me they needed the title in order to issue payment. (The vehicle was financed... I did not have the title. The lienholder held the title.) They then sat on the lien for another week, before paying the balance. They then told me they had everything they needed from me, they were just waiting for the title from the lien holder, in order to issue my check. 3 weeks in, they tell me they need a Power of Attorney form, and that I can fax one in, and my check will immediately be issued. I fax it. I call two hours later. They tell me it takes their fax machine up to 24 hour to load things into the system, but as soon as it loads, my check will be issued. (This is a Friday.)

Monday, I call. Suddenly, the fax was not good enough, and they need the original. They say, "As soon as we get the original, we can directly deposit the funds onto your debit card." I overnight the original. I called to let them know. Again, I was assured that it would be opened straightaway, as overnight mail is priority, and AS SOON as it is received, they would contact me for my debit card information, to IMMEDIATELY make my funds available. It arrived at 12:18 PM today. I called.... NOW... it takes 48 HOURS TO UPLOAD A PAPER INTO THEIR COMPUTER SO THAT THEY CAN RELEASE MY FUNDS????

GEICO author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is one of the nation’s second largest auto insurers. It stores user information for 90 days, so prospective customers who want to think on their quote for a while can come back and pick up where they left off. Customer service is available 24/7. The company also insures motorcycles and recreational vehicles.

• Coverage and plans: GEICO offers standard coverage, plus add-ons like mechanical breakdown coverage and ride-sharing insurance.

• Cost: The average rate for GEICO car insurance is about $96 per month.

• Discounts: GEICO has lots of discounts, including ones for safety equipment, certain organization memberships, policy bundling, insuring multiple vehicles, military service, good grades, no accidents, defensive driving courses, seat belt use and working for the federal government.

• Standout feature: GEICO is tech-savvy. We like the mobile app that lets users track their policy, view a digital insurance ID card, submit claims and pay bills. GEICO’s app assistant, Kate, makes it easy to access necessary information.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor