Call toll free*
Based on 495 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 22, 2018

3408 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

My wife had switched to our auto policy to GEICO end of 2012 from a different company to when we bought a new auto - Subaru Forester. Unfortunately, I had left it to her to arrange for an auto insurance and this was MY GRAVE MISTAKE. I recently was scrutinizing important financial documents and came across the GEICO auto policy and that's when I realized that they were charging us double the premium what another company, Liberty, was charging. I also observed that GEICO was charging an increasing amount of premium every year (the premium should have been dropping since the value of the SUV was depreciating!!) and also the rate that they were charging us was for NY City and for the suburb where we live. I had written to their CEO whose response was very cold.

All this time, I was looking to vent out my frustration, being 68 years old, and decided now it is time I wrote in these columns and Facebook. If left alone, GEICO and its CEO will spare no effort to LOOT their customers who are not alert. The slogan, "15 minutes could save you 15% or more" is false and misleading. Instead the most appropriate slogan should be "15 minutes could turn you into a sucker, we guarantee you". NEVER TRUST GEICO. They are home-invaders of unguarded homes!! Go spread the word about the looters, GEICO!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have had an auto policy with GEICO for 20 days (was a previous customer before) and initially things were well. Today's date: 4/20/2018. Policy Start date 4/01/2018. Original purchase date 03/18/2018. 6-mo premium quoted when policy was created: $973.30 as of 3/18/2018. Me: 40yrs, homeowner of "House A" in "City A", 2 vehicles and engaged now. "House A" is also insured with GEICO with Liberty Mutual as the underwriter. I obtained my policy through GEICO's Military center as I am a veteran of the US Army. I live about 15 mins (backroads and stop signs) from my job...it is a 5 mile (one-way) commute. I am engaged and added my fiancee to my policy as an authorized driver to use one of my vehicles.

Fiancee: 36yrs, homeowner of "House B" in "City B", 2 vehicles of her own - also a GEICO customer with her own GEICO policy. She lives in Lawrenceville (City B) and works down in Tucker, GA which is about 20 miles one way. House A (Cumming, GA) is 45 mins away from House B (Lawrenceville, GA). The issue occurred on 3/21/2018 when I called GEICO to get some quotes for us both so we can plan which of our vehicles (we have 2 each) would be shared and how much that would cost and if we lived in House A what the price estimates would be for *my* vehicles with her added vs if we lived in House B for *my* vehicles.

The representative seemed very helpful and explained that we should be added to each other's separate policy to be able to get these quotes. Makes perfect sense as we will eventually be married. After adding us he then began to ask the usual questions about mileage, primary drivers, etc. At the end of the call he gave us a quote that almost turned my hair white. "House B" is in Gwinnett County, GA and has a higher rate than "House A" which is in Cumming, GA. He explained that it all depends on where we lay our head at the end of the day. This was to give us some financial planning options to consider as we each had our own lives and our own insurance for our own two vehicles prior to dating.

Later that night I receive an email with Subject "Your updated GEICO Auto paperwork is available"...now *my* vehicles were changed to have me reside at "House B" with her instead of my house "House A" in my own city. And of course you know the billing was immediately updated and a new premium was generated from that. 6-mo premium quoted as of the policy now: $1051.10 as of 3/21/2018.

I called and asked why my policy had changed and was told that now my vehicles were listed at my fiancee's house "House B" even though I live in "House A". No explanation of "I changed your policy live to give you a quote and BTW you are stuck with the changes". I asked for everything to be reverted back to the original quote that was given to me and was told that I would have to go through the same series of questions to put everything back, but since I had the DOD Defensive Drivers Course from GTMO that I could apply that for the Defensive Drivers discount AND that my mileage was lower than I self-quoted when I originally got setup - it would essentially bring everything back down. 6-mo premium quoted as of the policy now: $1086.20 as of 3/21/2018 (second Declarations received that same day).

On 3/23/2018 I called back to GEICO after seeing this declarations page along with another email with subject "Your updated GEICO Auto paperwork is available". I explained that I wanted everything back to the way it was from the original policy on 3/18/2018 and that I only called to get quotes for planning. I explained that nothing has even been set yet and if we reside in "House A" or "House B" then we could update it later and we could even go with a new option of buying a new House "House C".

Customer Service rep explained that it matters "where we lay our head" to determine where the vehicles were to be calculated. I understood and stated that my fiancee has her own two vehicles in "House B" and that I just wanted *my* vehicles that reside in "House A" to be back where they are actually staying. I was told that it would be corrected. 6-mo premium quoted as of the policy now: $1140.20 as of 3/23/2018.

Outraged and feeling betrayed by a company that I bought a policy through that hasn't even started yet...I called back to speak with someone different. I was told that even if I lived in my house "House A" and that both vehicles were parked in my garage - if I spent the night with her in her house "House B" for more than I stayed in "House A" then they would have to assume I live in "House B" despite me having an active homeowners policy with them for "House A" and having both of *my* vehicles at "House A".

I again explained that all I wanted was a quote and was told that the system isn't capable of doing that for the CSRs unless they change things up and commit them to see what the new policy was. The CSR contacted her supervisor and explained everything at which point the supervisor saw the notes and agreed that if I have "House A", live at "House A" and my vehicles are at "House A" then "House A" is where my policy needs to be based off of. New declarations page has both of *my* vehicles at "House A". 6-mo premium quoted as of the policy now: $837.00 as of 3/23/2018 (second Declarations received that same day).

I was happy on 3/23/2018 and felt finally comfortable with GEICO despite the "system" shenanigans - the CSRs are only doing what they can with a rigged system. On 03/30/2018 I received an email with the subject "Your GEICO auto policy billing information" which broke down the payments per month. Confirmed and was happy. On 04/01/2018 the policy went into effect. Still happy. On 04/20/2018 I received an email with subject "Your GEICO auto policy billing information" which now showed my premiums all increasing by $45+ a month.

On 04/20/2018 I once again called GEICO and the CSR explained that the vehicles were showing two different locations. I verified this on the new Declarations Page where it showed one of my vehicles now at "House B" despite me looking right at it in my garage at "House A" while on the phone and even opening the door to it so the Hyundai chime can play.

The notes in the Declaration Page: "The Multi-Vehicle Discount no longer applies on your 2014 HYUNDAI SANTA FE since you are only insuring one private passenger vehicle at a single location. The Multi-Vehicle Discount no longer applies on your 2000 TOYOTA 4RUNNERLTD since you are only insuring one private passenger vehicle at a single location. We have adjusted your rates on your 2014 HYUNDAI SANTA FE to reflect your new location, LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA 30043-0000."

I again went through the same series of questions as to how many miles I drive to work, how many miles my fiancee drives to work and where the vehicles stay. I again explained that both vehicles are in Cumming, GA and that I just want them back to their original location in "House A". The CSR understood and felt badly for me...she was exceptional just like the other CSR who "fixed" this mess... The problem is that GEICO is using a system where the CSRs cannot give side by side quotes without affecting current policies. As a company this is a very dangerous and unethical practice of making dynamic changes and then using analytics to play with people's money.

I explained to the CSR that again it has only been 20 days since I have had the policy and we are now talking about a 6th change to get things back to how they were on 03/18/2018... She gave me the update quote which is about $0.80 higher. Me trying to understand why the consumer must keep "paying into a BS system that is rigged" I asked why am I almost paying a $1 more each month now and was told that the system generated the premium quote since it was changed today.

The moral of all of this...*YOU* are nothing but a source of money for a company within an industry that is rigged. Regardless of the CSR's good intentions to make things right, it is algorithms and "trending" based off of the people's bad habits that you as the consumer are fighting against. I believe in fairness and doing the right thing...but GEICO has a system that is counter-consumer if they update and give their CSRs the ability to at least generate "what-if" quotes based on scenarios that could go either way.

I want my original quoted premium that I was given online before I even bought the policy - the "closest match is the rate that I got for $837.00 from the declarations page issued on 03/23/2018. I don't care if it is penny higher...that is my penny that I have earned and could used to either save or pay my bills with. It is NOT for your "SYSTEM" to sit on and then turn around and ask for me. Please SUPPORT your employees and FOLLOW THROUGH and finally DO THE RIGHT THING! I have all of the emails, screenshots and PDFs of the Declarations pages as of 04/20/2018.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Absolutely horrible company. GEICO has absolutely no interest whatsoever in advocating for their customers or looking out for their protection. Another driver of a large Jeep SUV who was distracted on his cell phone, double-parked in front of a bus stop, and flirting with a girl standing on the corner, reversed his SUV on a ONE-WAY STREET and backed into my bf's car (while stopped at in traffic) despite my bf's honking for 7 seconds (bf could not back up due to lane of traffic behind him, caused by this other driver). Of course, GEICO determined that my bf was at fault and assigned 80% blame to him instead of the driver that hit him, stating they could not prove what happened but still blamed him anyway. GEICO agent "Dion" had the nerve to asking my bf why his car was stopped there.

How do you get hit by another driver who is double-parked at a bus stop, on his cell phone, and flirting with some girl on the corner while you are stopped in traffic and GEICO still blames you?? I will NEVER buy car insurance from this company. GEICO has ripped off me, my family and my bf for years. They are not looking out for their customers' best interests. They are just out to make money by ripping them off. In a separate incident, we were stopped in traffic on a two-way street, hit head on by another driver in a minivan who hit us, fled the scene, had the cops hunting her down, the cops even wrote on the accident report that she fled the scene, and GEICO still has not held her responsible or completed this claim. This company is disgusting. Do yourself a favor. Do not go with this company that is just waiting to take your money and pay other drivers when THEY are at fault for hitting YOU.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Geico decided to raise my insurance rates for a claim I didn't even complete! Now I'm stuck with a damaged door and my rates more than doubled! They won't provide help at all and won't hear anything of it. I've been with them for three years! I'm a civil service employee and Geico def does not help any government employees! My insurance skyrocketed from 195 to 350!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Trust me on this... NEVER use Geico for insurance! My son's truck was totaled by a Geico insured person, cop said it was 100% their fault, but Nancy at Geico said that the cops report was suggestive and “just a tool they use”! I did NOT back down. I told them “This is how it’s gonna happen, you’re either gonna take 100% responsibility now, or I’m gonna go pay $25 to the magistrate's office to have everyone subpoenaed to court and you can drive all the way down here to Campobello and pay the 100%. Then, if I don’t hear from you by tomorrow morning, I’ll go pay that fee!!!" 30 minutes later (after days of no returned calls) they call and change their tune! They paid 100% but they’re still crooks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: April 18, 2018

GEICO changes their monthly billing on a whim. Even when you have a contract and a billing agreement, they will just suddenly decide they need more money. When I purchased the policy it was for everyone living in my house including 3 daughters and a future son-in-law. I owned 1 car, 2 of daughters owned a car and my daughter's boyfriend who lives with us owned a car. We told them all of that information when the policy was purchased. 13 months later they decide I don't have an insurable interest in cars that I don't own, and they decided to drastically raise the charge for my daughter’s car who is in college in Orange County. They want my MONTHLY payment to be over $1100.00. My oldest and her fiance switch to AAA insurance, I work out a payment plan to get things manageable.

My policy renews with a monthly rate of $311. I can handle that for 2 cars and 3 drivers. Then FOR NO REASON, they decide my monthly payment will be $628.36. I call them to find out what the heck, and they say it's because my youngest daughter is now a licensed driver. Well ok, but she's been a licensed driver since May 2017. Why are you doubling my rates now? Because they can. That's why. I truly regret doing business with this company and strongly recommend just about anyone else. I was unhappy with Esurance, but in hindsight I was better off back then.

Original review: April 18, 2018

As my auto insurance policy was approaching renewal I was asked by email to contact a Geico Auto Insurance representative. I contacted them on 3/6/2018 and they told me that my rates would be going up $96.00 per month, no accidents, no incidents, nothing to explain the increase. I elected not to re-new and told the agent I would purchase auto insurance through another company. On 04/14/2018 Geico debited my account for renewal of my auto policy subsequently overdrawing my bank account. I have filed a dispute claim with my bank, contacted Geico who assures me they have already refunded my money; however...it is nowhere to be found. Every day I have to call and try to determine where my refund it. It is a nightmare! A representative I spoke to told me this happens every month with people calling in about fraudulent charges to their bank accounts! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR INSURANCE!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I needed a multi-state auto policy so I contacted GEICO. Everything was fine until the Texas insurance agent kept trying to close the deal before I spoke to the Maryland insurance agent for the multi-state policy. The Texas agent assured me that the price and coverages for Texas and Maryland were exactly what I asked for, so I closed the deal with the Texas agent and submitted a payment via my bank account. After closing the deal with the Texas agent he transferred me over to the Maryland agent who then confirmed that the Maryland policy was not what I was expecting. This was an overall deal breaker for me so I requested to stop the transaction with Maryland and requested to speak with the Texas agent so that I could cancel the policy.

When transferred back to the Texas agent, I was able to cancel the policy. However, the payment was not cancelled and I had to wait for a refund. This whole thing started 3/21/2018 and after 2 weeks I never received a refund so I contacted my bank and disputed the transaction. My bank was quick to respond and the transaction was returned by the bank on 4/6/2018. On 4/17/2018 I received an email from GEICO saying that I owed them money and if not paid then it would be reported on my credit report. When I called GEICO they said the refund was sent to me on 4/2/2018 just before my bank returned the transaction on 4/6/2018. So what occurred, when the bank returned the transaction it was as if GEICO was never paid. Therefore, GEICO refunded me $84.61 which never went through.

The issue I have with GEICO, is that it took them way too long to refund my money to begin with. I cancelled the policy the same day so the refund should have been initiated the same day. GEICO apparently doesn't follow this business practice. They hold your money and process refunds days if not weeks later. GEICO probably does hundreds of transactions like this every week. It just seems like a terrible business practice in which GEICO borrows the consumers money and returns it at their leisure. To top it off GEICO is very quick to threaten to report unpaid balances to the credit agencies. This is according to my transaction history of 3/21/2018 (cancelled policy), 4/2/2018 (refund from GEICO), 4/6/2018 (Bank Dispute), and then 4/17/2018 (email threatening to report). I would never do business with this company again. Not worth the trouble and the headaches. Sincerely, Concerned Consumer.

Original review: April 17, 2018

After been a customer for more than 10 years and not having accidents for a while I'm receiving a raise every 6 month for the last 2 year. The last one was 7%. I called and they said it's because there are a lot of accidents out there. They don't care about me... They're trash.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I faced & vehicle accident on 30/03/2018 (Accident number **). According to the police crash report it is other party's (Elias **) fault because he doesn’t have a right of way to take left turns in that intersection. On 04/03/2018 I received a call from Geico insurance (related to Claim number **) which is the insurance company of the other party who cause this accident, from the number ** (Dakota **). The person called me & told me that Geico is not going to pay me anything because it's not their party's fault. That is completely unfair due to below reasons.

1. Geico claim officer told me that there is no police report related to this incident. When I told that I have the police report with me at the moment, he said police report is not important to Geico. It means Geico insurance came to conclusion regarding the accident even without looking at the police report, which is totally unacceptable. 2. In that intersection left turns are prohibited from 4 pm to 6 pm, but the person who cause this accident took a left turn during that time. When I ask about that from the Geico claim agent he told me that accident happen at 6.40 pm. Police report clearly that accident happen at 6.00 pm. 3. Geico claim agent told me that even though I have right of way to drive "I SHOULD STOP BEFORE THE INTERSECTION (EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A GREEN TRAFFIC LIGHT TO DRIVE) & ("allow others to take left turns"). Which US law is backing his statement. It may be 'GEICO TRAFFIC LAW' not US traffic law.

Due to this accident I have back pain & neck pain which is still I'm suffering from. I didn't take medical treatment still because I can't afford it. Since GEICO is refusing to pay the claim, still I'm suffering from back pain & neck pain which is getting worst day by day. My car is in total loss & I don't have money to buy a new car. I'm driving a rental car which is really costly. I really stressed out because of the GEICO's response to this incident. I'm feeling depressed & to be honest already have suicidal thoughts because of this incident. IF I COMMIT SUICIDE GEICO SHOULD TAKE TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT.

By neglecting their responsibility & came to conclusion about accident without considering the police report related to this accident, GEICO is playing with my life. My insurance company is Progressive, and they are telling at least it will take 6 months to go through arbitration and claim this from the GEICO. IF I STRESSED OUT LIKE THIS I DON'T THINK I WILL LIVE FOR 6 MONTHS TO SEE THE RESULTS IN THAT ARBITRATION. I have all the evidence with me including police report & photos to prove that this is 100% fault of the GEICO insurance holder. (In the police crash report my vehicle is vehicle #2 and GEICO insurance holders vehicle is vehicle # 1.)

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was sideswiped in an apartment complex with a speed limit of 10MPH. The woman totaled my car and Geico my insurance ruled me at fault. Needless to say she was doing about 40 to total a vehicle. It caused no damage to her bumper because she hit me from the side. I later found out they couldn't get her statement, so they claimed I was at fault. It's their job to track her down and get her statement when I provide the details! Furthermore, why would she speak with them when no damage to her car occurred -- and my insurance said I was at fault. I had to explain that she couldn't total a vehicle if she had been doing the speed limit. I had just paid the vehicle off 2 years early and that was that.

A year later and kids threw a brick through my new car's windshield as I was driving. Called in to find out they never updated my new vehicle on the policy -- even though I can't drive off the lot without it. Geico kept the totaled vehicle on my policy & refused to pay for the windshield. Over a year of paying full coverage on a totaled vehicle. Wouldn't reimburse me and now I have claims against me so insurance is ridiculously high everywhere I look. There is a special place in hell for people like this! Six and a half years I paid them and never filed a claim -- then they do everything in their power to weasel their way out of commitments! They let me drive around in a brand new vehicle for a little over a year taking my money only to say I was paying on the totaled vehicle they HAD THE TITLE to!! Why would I insure a totaled car?!? They are shysters!

Original review: April 15, 2018

Every 6 months I get ripped off by this company. My statement comes due and they've raise my rates more than $100. I've done absolutely nothing wrong with no claims, had no accidents or tickets. Customer service only gives me some song and dance. It just not Geico. Every piece of crap insurance company does the same thing.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My husband had an accident on 3/27/18 and the resulting claim process has been terrible! Sadly, I had the misfortune to have just changed to Geico and our policy went into effect 12 days prior to the accident. As a result, I was told there had to be proof of the accident, a towing bill (which would NOT be covered, even though we had road service coverage) or an accident report, which would take over a week for the officer to complete and file since there were 4 cars involved and drivers from out of state.

One would think the damaged car and a incident report while the officer completed his investigation would suffice... But NO. HOWEVER, a adjuster was sent out the NEXT day to examine the car. He totaled it, which meant we did not get ANY coverage or reimbursement for our rental. It's been almost a month of having to pay out of pocket for a rental and Geico STILL has not even paid the claim for the car. HORRIBLE way to treat a customer, especially since we had been Geico customers for both home and auto for many years prior to switching to Farmers for a few years. Wish I had NOT switched and I will tell everyone not to either... Geico's claim service is TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I dumped this company 10 yrs ago after my rate jumped due to a petty, $600 claim to fix minor damage to front end damage. Despite the fact I was with them for over 5 years - without a single claim - they shafted me big time. Looks like GEICO has enough cash reserves to pay for millions and millions in lame, lizard commercials but not enough to treat their cherished customers right.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have been with the company for 20 years. My wife and I have been divorced for 2 years, I remarried and went to put my new wife on and ooops remove my ex wife, my bill went up around 125%. Now bear with me, we are thinking married a drunk etc, but nooo I am informed by the ** company that if my ex wife had just called in and said she was leaving I could have kept my same account, but since I called in I got a new account and became a prisoner's lonely cell mate. My Ex Wife did nothing wrong, my new wife did nothing wrong, and well 3825 I guess I am the problem. I paid Geico roughly $15,000 dollars to send me a bill every month, never a claim, so with that, bill went from $82.00 to $168.00. Don’t forget new account even though it was always my account, so 3825 Geico time for my loyalty to go viral, hmmm Let’s visit Progressive. Cannot be a worse experience?

Original review: April 11, 2018

Storm/Nor'easter on 3/2/**. Homesite took their sweet time to resolve issues. In the case of damage, time is of the essence. We took the initiative to mitigate the damage. However, the claim process left a bad taste and a disappointment with Geico. Perhaps, the delay is deliberate since lapse of time makes it harder to do a fair assessment of any damage and hence, lack of prompt resolution of the homeowner's concerns. Stay away from Homesite and Geico.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My son was in an auto accident on April 4, 2018. The accident was solely the fault of the Geico Ins Companies insured. I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX. The adjuster took off for any and every dent and/or paint scratch in my car so he could rate it at "rough" and "poor" condition so the value would be lower in their system. I believe the fair amount for my vehicle was approximately $1000.00 too low. Now not only do I not have a vehicle due to the actions of the Geico insured but I cannot replace my vehicle with even the exact vehicle I lost for what was paid to me by Geico Ins. Co. I think Geico Insurance is shady and crooked and I would NEVER use this company for insurance coverage. THINK TWICE BEFORE USING THEM!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Beyond terrible and utterly worthless. Switch off Liberty Mutual to Geico to save some money. However I stated I need an SR-22 with my Auto Insurance coverage as it is a requirement of the State of NH. Geico said yes they do have SR-22 Coverage and, "We will cover you." 1 Month later received notices from State of NH, that I failed to file automotive insurance with SR-22 (Nov 2017). Contacted Geico: Agent issued a new SR-22 to date my Policy came into effect to show continuous coverage with no gaps. Called back Geico to check to see if I was all set I was.

April 10th, go to register a new trailer I just purchased. Registration will be $36.00. Town Clerk stopped the transaction. Noticed I was flagged by Concord DMV. She provided a number to call at the DMV. Called, discovered Geico never issued the SR-22. I go, "Please look again." They did. Came up empty handed and told I owe $125.00 in retribution to the state to reinstate my license. Called Geico alerting them of this. Instructed them to quickly fax over an SR-22. Called back DMV. SR-22 not received yet, new town clerk informed me I no longer need an SR-22. Paid the $125.00 retribution fee.

Called back Geico within the 30-60 of the initial request for a new SR-22 be issued and sent to the DMV. Agent goes, "I will cancel it. "You will still be charged $25.00." I go, "No, you guys in fact owe me $125.00 in reimbursement for your failure, or to discount my next policy." Agent was terrible. Stated I had no proof of ever requesting an SR-22 back in September 2017 (policy came into effect October 2017, still was covered under Liberty Mutual). Called international Geico. Still terrible customer service, but did cancel the SR-22 so least I was covered for something I will be charged for that I don't even need.

2.5 Hours later I can now register my trailer for $36.00. State charged me $125.00 for Geico never producing an SR-22 in October and November. I been driving for 4-5 months of the 6 month policy (I paid upfront) with a suspended license. Thanks GEICO. Charged $25.00 for new SR-22 which I canceled and don't need. The same SR-22 that was it back there in October 2017 I would be having no issue!!! Beyond worthless service. Did not honor their word nor policy. Had me in a state of danger the whole time. PS. Other than DWI in 2015, which I lost my license for 3 months, I have no tickets, accidents, violations or otherwise on my record. So don't even try to claim I am an unsafe driver!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Geico homeowner's insurance is worthless. I’ve been out of my apartment for 5 months and counting and my insurance adjuster has accepted one phone call from me. It’s 99% impossible to get a human on the phone and when you do, they transfer you to a voice mail that no one has ever responded to. I’ve faxed and emailed documents to them and they just refuse to acknowledge or reimburse. I’ve had car insurance through this company for 20 years and never had to file a claim.

The apartment fire that occurred was through no fault of my own, but a neighbor who caused many units to be unlivable. I’ve never been so disappointed and frightened in my whole life as now. You shouldn’t have to feel this way with renters insurance. It should be unlawful to put people through things like this in their most vulnerable times. I beg any of you. Do not do business with these people on any level. If I ever get imbursed from this claim, I will cancel every jot of service from this company and make it my life’s mission as long as there is breath in my body to steer as many people as I can away from dealing with this sham of a company.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am not a verified customer because my mother is the subscriber, I'm just on the policy with her. So I'm 23 and my mother is a subscriber for GEICO and has been for 7+ years. After I got my license she put me on the policy. Moving towards the point, I got into a car accident in July 2017 that I was found 25% liable for. This was my first, and I was alone (both parents out of state) during the incident and new to the experience. The police decided to tow my car because I didn't what else to do.

When I got home I called an agent from GEICO for guidance on the situation. That conversation resulted in the agent telling me I had the "right of way" and I could leave my car in the tow yard for up to 2 months and no longer. She gave me specific instructions on how to receive the receipt so I may get reimbursed. Writing my policy number, bank info, and other personal information on the receipt... Take a picture of it... And uploading in on their website. So, I took advantage of the time to get deal with the claim, remove the speeding ticket I was wrongfully given (I got a lawyer and it worked out), and instructing my out of state mother to send a notarized letter instructing the police to release the car to me because it was in my mother's name and not mine. I couldn't get my car out of the tow yard without that stupid letter, so it sat there longer (I found this out on week 2).

It was there for 3 weeks and when I went to pick it up with the notarized letter, the oh so charming associate said I owed $1200+. Something told me to check-in with GEICO to go over the steps again to make sure I'd be properly reimbursed. I spoke to a different agent and he clearly stated that GEICO would only reimburse the tow fee and maybe they'd pay for one day of storage in the tow yard. I was on the phone with these people for DAYS trying to figure out how someone could spoon feed me false information and I'd be stuck with the bill. Not only that, I had to pay out of pocket to tow my car off their yard AND pay out of pocket for the repair fees. Bumper replacement, structure repair, and the rod that connects my front steering. Conclusion: 25% Liable, stuck with the bill, no collision insurance, first and only accident.

Now I got a call today in April 2018 from my mother stressed and worried because a GEICO agent was telling her to force me off the policy. English is her second language and she was very confused. I called the agent and they explained. My mother and I do not live in the same state so I need to insure my car in my own name. I wasn't going to argue until she stated that I would be off the policy May 6th. It's April 9th.

I asked for an extension because of how sudden this was. She answered stating her supervisor took a moment to consider and said no because "I have a month". I'm in the middle of getting the newer car than a 03 corolla because of its expensive repairs and lack of safety measures. After she connected to the supervisor she says that another Higher-Up took 40 seconds (I'm not kidding) to consider my extension and declined it. She would not let me speak to the person making the decision and not only that. Then she had the nerve to offer to send me to sales to get a quote, and I hung up.

I make 11k a year, I go to school, I don't have any speeding/traffic tickets and I drive on the highway every day to work... And now looking for a new motor insurance agency with Real customer service agents. If you are new to insurance... Don't go with GEICO... The last thing anyone needs is poor guidance and to be scammed especially if you make under 20k a year. This whole experience is just pathetic.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Went through Geico’s website and selected all options, even selected higher coverage options. Thought that we are getting full coverage and week later a rack flow under the car for vehicle in front of us. Damages oil pan of the car and had huge oil leak. Geico claim adjuster concluded that the rack was static at the time of impact and my insurance doesn’t cover it. Geico adjuster concluded his facts based on “USUALLY” statement. I do not understand how someone can use USUALLY statement to conclude anything. Stay away from GEICO. Might be cost effective but it’s a big headache dealing with biased minded company when their support is needed most.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I was with Allstate for 10 years, I had no problems at all. I decided to move to Geico as they offered me a lower rate and better coverage. For the 1st time in my life, I got into a car accident. Geico covered everything but then sent me a letter dropping me, stating they could not renew my policy. I called them and explained that it was my first car accident ever, they did not care. I am very dissatisfied and sad that a company that I trusted, ended up terminating my policy because of one accident. I never had any issues, but I see now that I should have never trusted them to begin with. Geico is not the company they say they are and I will never recommend anybody to them. Now, I am stressed out looking for a new company when they should have owned up to their word and take care of their customers.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been a customer of Geico for ten years. I called them to get a quote to add my teenage daughter to my insurance, and as it was out of my budget, I said I would not go through with that. As per their advice, I called to let them know that as she had gotten her driver's license, she would not be driving my car because I could not afford the premium - she could drive while she had the permit prior to getting her driver's license with no additional charge to my account. Anyway, they charged me, and I called to explain she had never driven my car after she got her driver's license.

The main manager was supposed to called me, but he never did. I disputed the charge with my credit card, and a month later received a letter from Geico saying they had withdrawn the charge. For my surprise, while checking my account online, I found out they will repeat the same charge this month. It is disappointing that after being a loyal customer for ten years, something like this happens. Now, it will take time and energy for me to call them again, and try to explain the same thing.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Scammers, stay away!!! I've been insured with Geico for 3 years now, what I can tell you for sure is they are good at charging you on time every month and that is it, their main goal is to charge you. Never payback. I have two cars, both insured with Geico. Porsche Cayenne and Nissan GTR, both expensive cars so my monthly payment was about 500-600/month, sounds like a lot but that's why you get insurance, to feel safe right?? That's what I thought too, but not with Geico, my Cayenne got flooded during the last hurricane Harvey in Houston, Texas and they took it almost 9 months ago to the shop and since then they've been wasting time, I had 6 different adjusters who were asking me the same questions over and over again.

I was patient with them but after all this time I went to the shop where they supposed to work on my car and I found it all the way in the back under the inch of dust... 50000 car is being wasted on the open parking lot for almost 9 month and the mechanic at the shop said it happens all the time with Geico, they always do stuff like that, what a waste. Waiting on the final response from Geico now. I will update this whenever it's all over, I did not know that such a big company with well-known name is just a scam.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I left USAA because of the company siding against Trump supporters and went to GEICO with my renters insurance and car insurance. I rarely leave my town for anything so I had basic coverage on my car although it is a 2017. I increased my insurance to full coverage on 4/3/2017 because I was going to pick up a family member in Wisconsin on 4/19/2017 and I live in North Carolina. The weather in WI is terrible at this time of year so I thought better safe than sorry. On the 20th going over train tracks in WI the rear of my car slid to the right as I crossed train tracks and the right back passenger door hit a steel concrete barrier pole I overcorrected and had a 6 in scrape on my front left bumper. The damage looks very nominal so I thought wow thank god I bought the insurance.

I filled out a claim on the 27th. I believe it was the following Monday when I knew GEICO would be open. About a week later I met with an adjuster and everything was great. The estimate was about $2900 and she printed me a check. Again wow I thought that was high for the small amount of damage but because the adjuster wanted to be on the safe side they were just going to replace the door. I deposited the check and waiting to clear to make appointment to be fixed and I get a call today 4/6/2017 saying payment on the check was stopped and an investigation was taking place since I switched over before my trip and now I have a claim.

They said it was very suspicious and now I am on hold and when I called back to ask when I would know what was going on no one will tell me anything and I have to wait for the investigator to call me! Years ago I had a claim with USAA and it was the fastest easiest thing. They had a car waiting for me before I even left the scene of the fender bender. Once my GEICO policy is up I am going back to USAA!!! I am retired military and on the base where I live we have a GEICO banner saying, "No problems we have been serving the military for some length of time." Depending on the outcome of my claim that huge banner will no longer be on this base. The base commander is a huge supporter for companies that support the military but a bulldog against the ones who cross or military!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I own a small Business in Fairfield Alabama, (JJ Wings, LLC). On January 14, 2018, a vehicle ran into the building causing destruction. The police report identified the owner of the vehicle and the insurance provider (GEICO). GEICO was contacted and informed of the incident and provided the police report. A few days later a claim’s adjuster from GEICO was sent out to assess the damages. The adjuster said a GEICO representative would be in touch with their findings. After several weeks of having not heard from GEICO, my attorney reached out to GEICO requesting status of the claim. GEICO representative indicated they had not been able to reach the insured.

After another couple of weeks, my attorney contacted GEICO again and was then informed that according the insured that she had sold the car several weeks prior to the incident and as such the GEICO representative indicated that they needed to further investigate her statement. I find it difficult to accept that GEICO would send a claim adjuster to assess damages if the insured did not have coverage! We have reached out to GEICO multiple times to request. They either put in writing their denial of the claim or act in good faith to cover the damages of my business. There’s been no return call to voice messages left for GEICO or a reply to emails that have been sent to GEICO. Since the time the claim adjuster came out to date; this issue has gone unresolved for over 2-months. Not only have I lost my business and loss of income, I’ve suffered frustration, mental anguish and depression.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Geico calls you and record your calls to get the side of the story of what happened for the accident but they never attempt to contact their own client to get their side of the story and then automatically send you a letter saying that your claim is denied. After several calls with Geico they started saying that I had agreed to sending receipts and things that I never agreed to and when I asked if they had attempted to contact their client they had not after almost 2 weeks but yet they had been calling me almost every day. Only to find the letter at the end saying they were not able to contact their client and that they will not take responsibility.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Telor ** with Geico is a horrible claims adjuster and he does not do his job correctly. He decides if you are ** and then he goes against you and states that the ** driver is at fault. The ** man that TBoned my car is told that he was in the right and that I am liable for this wreck just because I am not ** like the claims adjuster. The claims adjuster Telor ** is racist and did not like it when I told him that anyone with a damn brain could see that I was TBoned and not sideswiped as the lying ** man stated after flooring it and slamming into me.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I been with Geico for over 5 years with a premium policy. I receive a letter that they going to canceled my road service because I used many times. They said that was a towing services which I never had. I only call for jumped start (battery). I call. I explained that out of many year I call only 2017 4 time and 1 of them never came in. Never have any type of claim, always pay on time. This is not right.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I recently got hit my rear bumper from the careless driver and got a little scratch and cracks. I have contacted Geico who is the driver's insurance company. Even though I had a police report, they told me that the police report is just a reference and they don't always go by the police report. They kept accusing me over the phone that someone was trying to erase the scratch from my car. Who wants to erase the evidence? The driver just told Geico that they did not hit me, so Geico just kept going by what the driver told them and they did not even listen to my statement.

They are such a liar and could not believe that they accused me over the phone for something I did not even do. This is a company who does not even go by the police report and treat the customer like nothing. They never even call back even though they promised they would. When I spoke to the agent's supervisor, he just told me she left me a message, which was a lie as I have never even received anything. Too many lies and untrusted company.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky