GEICO

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I needed reasonable and necessary medical treatment for a headache and pinched up back after being rear ended and they said there was not enough damage to need any medical treatment and did not pay my claim. I have contacted the Ohio Dept. of Ins and feel like this review needs to be written as well. Claims service is quite poor and furthermore the claims adjuster was short and rude with me too.

Geico ran my credit without authorization and a class action law suit should and will be brought against them for unfair business practices and consumer fraud. I told the representative that under no circumstances were they allowed to pull my credit because the initial quote was outrageously high. I terminated the call and found out a week later that they violated my privacy.

We have a small bit of damage on our car and called to ask about whether a claim would raise our rates. I was informed by a Thomas that he was now obliged to report my information to the Claims Department and a rate increase could occur based on my call. I do think a consumer should be able to call a company to ask a question without a rate increase resulting from a hypothetical situation. Not asking too much.

My vehicle was totaled in January and Geico was great in their initial response when I filed a claim with them. I was very pleased and thankful and almost filled out their customer survey they sent out asking about my claim experience in that first week, but decided to wait until it was done. I was delayed in getting them title since I was out of the country, but did it as soon as I got back to the USA. I was quoted the same price for the payout after my deductible on 3 separate occasion by two different Geico employees.

A month after they received my title, and two phone calls from me later to try and figure out what was happening, I received a payment that was close to $1,000 less than what I had been quoted 3 separate times with absolutely no explanation. It took me 7 phone calls of varying lengths and aggravation, and over two weeks to finally get Geico to agree to pay me the amount that THEY had determined my vehicle was worth: i.e. the number that they came up with, not me. I was also told that they adjusted the amount AFTER they had received my title. When I first confronted them about the difference, they were apologetic but seemed unwilling to adjust the amount to what they originally quoted. It was after a stern conversation and bringing up the possibility of opening a complaint with the Department of Insurance, Licensing and consulting with a lawyer that they took action to honor their original amount.

A customer of GEICO was at fault in running into my car from the back. Customer said he would pay out of pocket but I got his insurance and DR in case. Customer now refuses to pay so I contacted GEICO. GEICO said because we did not get a police report that they will not pay even though I have his insurance and DR. picture. So that's how you get 15% off!!! Now I will have to sue customer for expenses incurred. ** GEICO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Warning! Geico using your consumer compare quote info and will change your policy and profile before ever speaking with you! DO NOT DO AN ONLINE QUOTE. THEY WILL USE AGAINST YOU EVEN IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING AN IDEA OF POSSIBLE OPTIONS. They added a driver, a vehicle and changed my marital status and household info without ever speaking to me off a private quote comparison... be warned! "Your Attention Required. The driver's license number for ** is missing. Please take a moment to update this information now. Failure to provide this information may result in the cancellation of your policy." They are collecting and using everything you input against you and could be far worse for other folks. I have been with the Geico over 20 yrs! I no longer trust them with my information.

So I bought an auto insurance policy that required special verbiage. I was told by the sales rep that this won't be a problem. Once I received the paid policy, it didn't include the verbiage I needed. After multiple phone calls and speaking with several people, I was told the sales rep was wrong and they wouldn't be able to supply what I needed. Ok, fine. I'll get coverage with another company and things will be great, so I thought! I was then told by the canceling agent that I would only receive $200 back instead of the initial deposit of $600. What!!! The policy hasn't even been in effect for 48 hours and it was their fault due to misinformation given by their sales rep. I'm still on the phone waiting for a supervisor to hopefully get my money back. Stay away from this company!!!

Pretty upset in regards to the non-service I received this morning. I was under the assumption I had ERA. However after calling Geico they confirmed I didn't after telling them my car battery is completely dead and I had no way of getting help. So I went ahead and added the additional service on in the same phone call. I also went ahead and asked "Since I just added this on can you please send someone out to help me?" And they refused to help me because it was a preexisting condition and stated I would have to pay out of pocket. How messed up. I just added the service on in the same phone call that I made telling them I'm stuck and they won't make any exemptions. To me that's pretty poor customer service.

My driver side tire was flat, then I call customer service to request a roadside assistance. Everything was well until I discover that the tire was not well adjusted something that represented a real danger for my life and my family. The 5 Bolts were completely loose. That explained the noise that originated from that side of the car. Thanks to my boss who noticed the problem nothing tragic happen. But it is unacceptable that someone endangers the whole life of a family by not paying attention to something so simple. I hope it will never happen again and someone will give me an explanation and an apology about this pitiful case.

Monday 3/13 around 4:45 pm while getting gas, I notice damage to my car in the passenger side. Is only been to work and Walgreens. I'm assuming my car was hit on the passenger's side while I was inside a store. Once I notice the damage I contacted Geico right away to make a claim stating my vehicle had been damaged and was very upset (emotionally). Because this is a brand new car (2017) the claims department was very nice and comforting assuring me it wouldn't be a problem and set up the earliest appointment at an auto shop for my car to be dropped off hassle-free. I was greeted by an adjuster who came out to inspect my car and immediately stated the damage looked as if I hit something!! Uhm I hadn't hit anything but someone obviously hit me!! Long story short I'm being given the whole "We need to have an expert come out to diagnose the damage and see if you were actually hit.” Wait. What??? I was completely confused!!

I was the victim of an obvious hit and run. Now I'm being treated as if I was at fault! And now the so call simple claim has turned into approx 3week ordeal because I'm being accused of not being truthful about my car being damaged!! To add salt to my wound the adjuster handed me a $5000 appraisal so I would know what I might have to pay if my claim isn't accepted. This is beyond stressful and truly disappointing! I have 2-vehicles insured with this company for over 3 yrs and this is how you are treated for a claim! I'm not going to jump to conclusions but, when you're treating your customers who keep your company in business like crap is never a good thing! Social media has been the death and end to numerous businesses as well as jobs! If my claim is not accepted I plan to fight this and spread the word via social media, etc of the unfair practices of Geico Insurance!! Shame on you for treating customers like criminals!!!

I called to reinstate my Policy with Geico and I must have chosen the wrong group of staff to talk with. The Agent refused to give his name and the Supervisor refused to give her last name and maybe her name Jordan is not real. I have been with Geico for more than 18 years, and they have been losing their touch. Do not listen to the commercials. I am very dissatisfied with Geico after all of these years. The Supervisor who voiced her I'd number as ** was not helpful at all. She was more interested in siding with her staff than trying to maintain a customer who had been with them for more than 18 years. Very Disappointed.

So where do I even begin. Let's first start with the fact that I filled a claim after I discovered my car was hit in the parking lot while I was at work. I have phone records that I called Geico and my family after the incident happened and pictures of the damage which I uploaded to the claim on Geico's website. I tried to get in touch with my claims adjuster for over 2 weeks after I opened the claim but I never received a call back after over 5 messages left and complaints to the website online complaint center. I was finally contacted by a new adjuster who said like it was a normal thing "oh sorry the last person assigned to you was promoted so she neglected all of her clients for weeks." What kind of business is this that a managers didn't even realize or care that their employees are not answering or responding to their clients.

This was the first headache of many that I had with this claim. I should have taken it as a sign and symbol of how Geico treats their customers and switched insurers right then and there but unfortunately you can't do that. Anyway the next steps were for me to go through a recorded statement over the phone with an adjuster which I did. After that I dropped off my car for an inspection and to get repaired, the damage wasn't significant and only showed $1.8k in damage. The Geico body adjuster at the repair shop gave me a rental car, which he stated would be 100% covered, based on my insurance. I said great and left for work only to get a call on the way from the other Geico adjuster, who works in an office and who I never I recorded my statement with, that I was being investigated and the repairs and rental were not yet approved so I would have to pay for the rental car out of pocket.

Then she proceeds to tell me that having the rental car without claim approval was actually illegal on my part and I was breaking the law, even though the Geico body adjuster at the shop gave it to me!! I was outraged especially because I didn't even need the rental car since I lived so close to work and I even asked the Geico body adjuster numerous times if it was covered and I was assured it was by him! It then became apparent that the adjusters for Geico do not communicate with each other nor do they care about their customers.

I tried to return the car the next day, a Friday, at the repair shop and after being assured my car would be ready to swap for the rental car I had, however, when I arrived I was told by the receptionist that my bumper was off of my car and I would have to wait another three days to swap cars because nobody worked on the weekend. At this point I was very angry and upset that I was lied to twice by the Geico auto body adjuster at the repair shop (1st that the rental was covered and approved, 2nd that my car was ready in the front of the shop to swap for the rental). So much of my time, money, and energy have been wasted by this point that I was ready to cancel my insurance and just pay for everything out of pocket since it would be less of a nightmare.

When Monday comes I make arrangements to leave work early to meet with a Geico investigator to again explain my claim and try to return the rental. My anger has subsided after the weekend passed but quickly came back once the office adjuster assigned to me called to let me know that the body adjuster filled two more claims on my car for tiny dents and they wanted statements on those as well. This is illegal for Geico to do without my permission by the way, but they filled them anyway.

The problem with these claims is that they will show up on my driving record forever and if I try to switch insurers, which I am planning to do, the new insurer will see these and can keep my rates higher as a result. I then demand to speak with my claims adjusters boss which I am transferred to but does not answer his phone. I leave a message with a laundry list of complaints but never got a call back, a week has gone by now. I beyond annoyed and distraught over the service I have received at Geico and I can't even comprehend, as a business woman, how this company is still in service with people so incompetent working for them.

First I would like to say I was a customer for 10+ years and had no complaints against GEICO until now. I added my daughter to my policy last year since we were both on her title and advised the agent that she had a SR-22 due to a DUI. I was given a quote and shortly after, I was notified that my insurance was increased to double what it originally was. I called and found that once they verified my daughters' driving issue which caused the increase. The agent said they could not remove my daughter until I had proof that she had another insurance so I told my daughter she would need to obtained her own insurance and provided proof of her new insurance as soon as her documents were received.

I was told my policy would be evaluated and the rate would be adjusted. This took 5 months and I paid a total of $269.20 over what I should have been charged. I can understand charging me the difference for 1 month since this all took place mid-cycle, but not 5 months. I noticed the rate was finally adjusted on the current bill today and called to see why I was not refunded the difference and I was told that since the change took place after the renewed premium was calculated it could not be adjusted. I then asked if anyone there could override this and was told no. I asked the agent to note my file that I would be obtaining another policy elsewhere and she said she would.

I immediately changed insurance providers and called back to advise to cancel my GEICO policy. The agents were polite, but at no time did the agent try to inquire with anyone else if anything could be done such as a provisional credit. Not only does the insurance I now have, have the capability to adjust the insurance rate immediately if I make online changes to my policy, but the policy is exactly the same as what I had with GEICO for a lower rate. Now I will wait to see how long GEICO will take to refund me the difference for the payment that I made for the rest of this billing cycle. I gave a fair rating only because for the majority of the time I was pleased, but GEICO will continue to lose customers if they keep their shady policy of not being upfront with this "no refund" once a policy is changed. I am very disappointed in GEICO.

When I called to inquire about rates for my daughter's new car I was told that the rates here in the rural Atlanta area were the highest in the country (rep was from Macon and very aware of rates in this state). Since she was moving to California I needed quotes for the LA area. The rep told me that they would be the lowest in the country. When I asked why so high in rural Georgia she told me because there are so many deer accidents that total cars. I actually questioned her at length regarding this versus hitting other vehicles with drivers that could be injured. She assured that she was accurate.

Well when my daughter spoke with a rep. from CA she was told that the rates would be more than twice what she was quoted in GA. This rep could only apologize and said that we were mis-informed. She also told me that she was not able to identify who I spoke with last even when she had the exact dates for changes. I am sure the insurance companies keep track of this information. I was very surprised by the difference in rep information. We have been loyal customers for over 15 years. I will be looking for another insurance company that can be honest with their customers.

After being an insured driver under this insurance company for more than 5 years with no issues or complications, it is disheartening to say, I am so disappointed by the company. After being told I had to combine insurances with my fiancé, they incorrectly entered my information then misinformed the DMV of my "lack of insurance" although I was still paying it and after I get pulled over for bad plates, they refuse to pay or even reimburse me for the charge. Now is that good customer service? I do not think so. Is it my fault the employee incorrectly transferred over the information? No. Is it my fault they then sent that information to the DMV and had my registration ceased? No. Is it their responsibility to rectify this issue and simply reimburse me for this temporary permit I now have to get due to their error? YES! However they are not going to do that.

So after speaking with 2 representatives, one who was extremely frustrating for her argumentative demeanor "Paulette" and the other who was able to quickly transfer me over to the supervisor who upon apologizing was still unwilling/"unable to do anything about it", I have decided to change my insurance after my policy is up. Personally a company that is unwilling to admit fault and reimburse someone for an issue they caused, is not the type of company I would like to stay with. It says a lot about the company and their values. I heard Progressive is pretty good, anyone have any suggestions?

I asked for an additional driver billing details. Customer executive told me the billing info. But I was not interested to add him at the same time. She told me to complete some process of signing to remove him. I never asked to add him I just want the info which could have been a query check. They want to make business in this way. Not really recommended. Finally I sent the necessary documents signing in at 12:00 pm of my time on the same day. She told everything is fine but finally the amount displayed in my next month billing. I don't know what to say here. No notification to me but charged. If I ask now they just told me to pay the amount. They would send me a mail which would be 7 days and I should sign it and send back. Again cheap business. Don't ever request for information it can cost you. Geico not recommended for its poor customer care.

An insured by GEICO ran into the back of my vehicle over a week now and they refuse to accept liability of damage stating I MUST GO THROUGH MY INSURANCE COMPANY and my insurance company says it's their fault and if I go through my company I will have to pay deductible and pay for police report. This is a horrible company and this should not happen. Please assist.

It has taken Geico over 3 weeks and still counting to process a very simple claim. I am not even upset that they got it wrong, claiming that the person who hit me from behind while I sat at a red traffic light was not at fault. It took forever for them to reach their poor self-serving conclusion (the person who hit me is insured by Geico and I now need to pay a portion of the claim under my collision coverage). It also took my calling them to hear anything at all, after being I would get a message online when anything had been done (and checking multiple times). Then, being told I need to get an estimate they direct me to their website. I go there entering multiple times their 16-digit claim number and other information to find and cannot schedule my claim online. I call the claims person several times, who is never able to return calls until just prior to going home and I am not able to answer. When I call back, they have gone home.

I finally get a message saying that they fixed it so I can now file online, I go back online, filling out my 16-digit claim number another few times, only to be again told online I cannot file online. There is no easy way for me to get this claim taken care of. This is terrible customer service, yet they say on the site that someone can get a claim paid in as little as 48 hours. Yeah, sure... I never give a bad review and rarely review anything online... until this rotten experience.

I was in parking lot waiting for a parking space when a Geico insured car driven by a young lady backed into the side of my vehicle. She had a bike on a rear bike rack that hit the sight side of my vehicle. She caused a 6 inch bend in the side and a cracked side window. I contacted Geico and was told we were both 50 percent responsible because I did not sound my horn to warn her of the pending collision. It seem this is how Geico and other insurers are avoiding insurance repairs.

My Prius was hit from behind & thankfully no one was hurt. Although we were able to drive off from the accident seemingly with only a cracked bumper, we were suspicious of more damage underneath. Indeed the car turned out to be a total loss. Not only was everyone at the Whiteford Rd, York, PA office friendly & courteous, the agent there really went above & beyond for us. Ms. Tracy ** had to work across state lines to get us a far better buy out than the original quote. I can't thank her enough, especially as my son was in the hospital at the time & we were totally stressed out. A big thumbs up to this claims group!

Took our truck being in the shop 2 months before we were called and told it would be another 7-8 weeks due to a part shortage on a 2014 Ford F150! Then was told it could actually be an additional 7-8 weeks if there weren't enough new parts released. So six months in the shop basically. Geico covered a rental for 30 only and the simpering fake voice of the supervisor who called assured me that she "understood and felt our pain" but unfortunately her hands were tied. So GEICO covers 1/6 of a rental car for the time needed regardless of circumstances.

According to you and your last email even though you improperly/falsely communicated the cost/billing amounts (over $1200.00 instead of the $236 that I was quoted) when I inquired and changed my billing for my car and motor home. You are, when no money is currently owed without renewing my current policy, you are trying to hold me hostage to pay you a ransom in an amount that "must" be paid, before any changes are made and in fact is not due until 12:01 am, 3/3/17.

Therefore it becomes obvious that you have no intention to keep a valued customer (over 10 years) without paying you off as some form of tribute first! If that is the case, Then have a nice day and your behavior will be noted in customer reviews.

Going through Geico had a pickup truck reserved three different occasions. There were no trucks available. Went through 3 different locations. No trucks available each time. Vehicle was downgraded to a small SUV or a car when specifically reserved a pickup truck. Also going through Geico they tend to use up your allowed allowances for the rental, all it takes is to be honest and they're paid jobs.

I urge that you obtain coverage from a company that treats their customers with respect. My 15 year old daughter recently got her restricted license and as a Geico customer we began receiving notices from Geico requesting we add her to a policy for coverage or provide proof that she is covered by an insurance plan. She doesn't own a car and isn't exact driving but I began shopping around to see what it'd cost me. When I logged into my Geico account and used the quote option they automatically took it upon themselves to add her to my policy and increased my monthly bill by $400. I called to question why she was automatically added when I was only looking to obtain a quote under their "quote" option online.

I requested they remove her and they refused to unless I provided them with proof that my daughter, who doesn't have a car and has a restricted license, has car insurance coverage. I never attempted to add her. I cancelled my Geico coverage and went with State Farm. I was furious. Upon cancelling, the agent went on to tell me that I had a balance of $150 on my account from the date I got a quote (2/9) to the date I cancelled my plan (2/24) because they had covered my daughter. Again I Never asked Geico to add my daughter to my policy, this all resulted from me looking to get a quote. They're shady and have no respect for their customers. I had been a customer for over 15 years. DO NOT TRUST GEICO.

My wife had an accident where this car entered the carpool lane illegally (because there was only one person in the car) and rear-ended her car causing my wife a mild concussion and lost of days of works. The Crooks came to my house to take pictures of the accident and were forcing my wife to take a check for $1,000 for all damages. When my wife refused they turned very violent toward her and few days later they denied liability to pay all my wife medical bills, stating that the bumper of the car absorbed all the damages and all of the sudden they are doctors because they think my wife did not incur in any injury even though she has present them with 3 different reports that said otherwise. If you have Geico, please I urge you to cancel it immediately because maybe you will save some money monthly, but when it comes to an accident they are the biggest and most dishonest criminals in the insurance market.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a mini accident. A Geico insurer ran an all way stop sign and hit me in the rear of my passenger side and my back wheel/tire. Driver admitted to me he did not stop and kept apologizing. His passenger kept asking if I was ok. Anyways to make a long story short, the driver insisted that I did not call the cops and he insisted in paying me off. He called me so many times after the incident after we agreed to meet at an auto body shop later in the day. On my way to the shop driver told me he was unable to come and to let him know the cost. I contacted him after the shop estimated my damages. When I told him it's over $1000 he then started to accuse me of running the stop sign.

I contacted his insurance Geico right after explained to them what happened and off the bat before even seeing my vehicle the representative stated all they will pay me is 50% since it's my word vs his. Common, how I can run the stop sign if my vehicle was hit in the back. Anyways after that I contacted my insurance, they came to inspect my vehicle and they sent me my estimates right away. It was over $1000 as the shop said.

Geico called me back a week and a half after stating they will pay me 85% again not even seeing my vehicle damages. The inspector came yesterday gave me an estimate of $700 and change. To my curiosity I kept asking how can it be $700 less that the estimate than the shop and my insurance. The inspector said that's what he sees. Geico is such an unfair insurance company. No wonder wack ** drivers take this insurance it matches the driver. It is going on three weeks now. I have not received payment and I am unable to use my vehicle. If I can sue this company I will.

Worst! Do Not get Geico unless you never plan to have someone hit you. About 6 months ago I change my 2 cars and motorcycle to Geico and saved about $380. 2 weeks ago a truck hit my van with a full police report showing the truck driver is at fault. Geico didn't get the police report, (told me they didn't need it, it would take them 4-6 weeks to get it) I had to go get it from State police and pay $10. After I uploaded it nobody reviewed it, I've called them 6 times and every time I call its a new person and nobody knows anything about the case. They are giving me $2000 less than what the van is worth, saying the van is totaled, holding me accountable for the $1000 deductible and not the other party, saying I might get my deductible back.

All they care about is towing the van out of the auto body show to total the van and sell it at auction to get their money first before they pay me. Nobody has called me but the person that looked at the van, he want to tow the van so they don't have to pay storage fees and force me to agree to their value. Nobody has called me for 2 weeks! The website app you submit your stuff to (I submitted my towing bill, pictures, hotel cost, medical bill the next day), I don't think any one body even looks at it. Every time you call its a new person that answers the phone and asks you the same questions over and over again, its back to step 1. Every person you talk to is polite but its all scripted like a robot, what you get is the silent treatment and a app and website.

I've been driving since I've been 16 1/2 and 40 now, Geico is the Worst insurance company I've had to deal with. I've already insured my used new van back with Farmers insurance. Saving $380 a year not worth losing hours of your day dealing with stuff Geico should be doing for you, and paying you less than market value for your vehicle, holding you accountable for deductible when you are not at fault, not calling you back, having nobody that knows your case. If you need help after hours or the weekend you get a person that says they only type things into the computer. Call back on business hours. When they say you get what you pay for, well Geico is like the $0.99 menu at MacD but you have to pull it out of the ground, wash it, cut it, cook it, wait, give 20% of it back to them. You are better off paying a bit more, don't let the little green lizard sell you. Geico is HORRIBLE!!!

We were with GEICO OVER 30 years and never had a major claim of our fault. Then we had a bad accident that caused over $70,000 damage and injuries. They refused to support us at court case when we had three witness that said the other driver was speeding and ran a red light. Then after they lost 70k they increased our insurance cost by 300 percent. Had they support us in court and requested the camera at the intersection they would have found the other person 100 percent at fault. After 35 years with the company they treated us like ** and only gave us two thirds of what our new car was worth. They talk like they're good but when you have an problem they don't support you.

I called to ask to move my due date back 10 days. After my husband recently lost his job, paying our car insurance with the same paycheck I pay the mortgage was causing us to be low on funds for that pay period. I called to request that they allow me to move my due date to make things a little more manageable (even before he lost his job we were stretched thin by having them on the same pay period). The CS agent informed me that doing so would result in my policy increasing by $15 a month, every month!

I in no way see how the same coverage would cost me more to pay 10 days later each month. He then encouraged me to just leave it as is, and just pay it late every month, and that I would get letters each month telling me they would cancel it if I didn't pay by a certain date, but wouldn't be penalized for paying late. Increasing premiums because my policy's due date would be 10 days later is not justifiable, and telling me to just pay late every month and get threats of policy termination is unconscionable.

I switched my auto from Liberty to Geico over the phone and the broker who I spoke with and signed up with lied. First he told me if I had Geico as my primary for medical instead of my health provider for some crazy reason the auto is cheaper. This made no sense but he swore to it and told me I would save $X. My mistake I believed him. After I signed up a bill came in. I called and got another broker who told me the initial broker "was mistaken" and that's why there is a bill. He changed the policy to what I requested and the bill became a credit, my first screwing.

Secondly, the initial broker told me no reason for me to contact Liberty. They will be notified on the day my Geico policy starts and the Liberty will end. My second error I did not call Liberty, because I believed the liar. A few days later Liberty takes out payment from my checking account and I screw up and don't call assuming that things got crossed because my life was going crazy at that point. Then, I forgot about it until I saw Liberty took out the second month's payment. I called Geico and I am told "sorry for the inconvenience" and they ask me for the phone number to Liberty. So now I am out $1000, I have double insurance for two months and while the Geico customer service person is on the phone to speak with Liberty I must stay on the phone. So Geico doesn't care about my time or my money. The agent should be FIRED and lose his license.

Compare Auto Insurance