2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.8/5 (1536 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have enjoyed being a Geico customer for a few years. When the covid pandemic hit geico took it upon themselves to give a percentage of the customers payments back to them to help during the struggle. To me this has proven that it is more than a company just looking for profit. I use the app to pay my bill which is very convenient. The app also has an option to easily extend your payment date if you are struggling which is great not having to call and explain to a stranger your personal financial situation. I have recently added my daughter to my insurance and the price is very good compared to other insurance companies. I am a very satisfied customer and would not take my business anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I've switched companies over the years. Every so many years when I thought my insurance premium was getting too high. I've always gone back to Geico because even though over time the premiums might get higher, when you go back the premiums are stellar. Can't be beat. When and if you have to file a claim geico is fast and a pleasure to do business with. They make the ordeal not quite as traumatic as it could be. Overall even though the premiums go up over time, I would give the company a five star rating. I love that you can use the app and either print out your cards, make changes to your account or file a claim. It's easy and user friendly. Thanks geico.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been using Geico insurance for decades and have found them to be a moderately reliable company. I am able, due to my own and my spouses driving record, to insure both of are older vehicles (my 2002 Volvo S40 and her 1999 Mercedes Benz) for around a dollar a day. Granted this is the minimum coverage required by California law, but California law is quite exacting. Plus, the joint value of our cars is less than $4,000.00.

We've only had one accident in all of our years with Geico. It involved us being hit from the rear and being flipped onto the side. Luckily no one was hurt beyond a few scratches and cuts. Geico was the insurer for both vehicles and worked with us until an amicable solution was reached for both parties. And most importantly, did not raise our rates, since we were not at fault. Thus, their claims department, unlike other companies, is just as good as their billing department. Which the latter, as is evident, has always worked with us to keep our car insurance premiums within our budget.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

GEICO is the only insurance company I know of that offers mechanical breakdown as part of the policy for new cars. It duplicates what is there during the initial warranty but is so low cost that if you plan to keep the car past the warranty period, it just makes sense. I never thought I'd need it, but the sensors on my Mercedes went out after the term of the warranty. The cost of the mechanical breakdown came to under $100 per year with a $250 deductible. The cost of the sensor replacement would have been about $1800 without this feature of the policy. Work was done at the dealership and my service rep indicated no problem with labor rate or anything else. The work was approved faster than either of us expected.

Customer Service was great. Although I (fortunately) have never needed to claim anything other than this and glass repair, I'm sure the experience for any repairs would be equally as easy. The premium has been less or equal to any quotes I've gotten for comparable coverage (minus the mechanical breakdown). In short, I'm a happy camper.

Original review: July 7, 2020

From the minute I bought my first GEICO Auto Policy and Renter's Policy, I have had an incredible experience. My car was totaled, in June, 2020, and GEICO took care of everything for me. We live in Arizona, and we are currently in a COVID-19 mess!!! GEICO literally let me do everything from home. I was able to pick up my rental with no "human contact." After everything was resolved, I went on the GEICO Car Buying Service and found my new car. Bought that through Carvana and now I am the proud owner of a 2018 Toyota Rav4. Again, I was able to do EVERYTHING with Carvana from my home. Of course I purchased my new auto policy from GEICO!! Trust me--this company is absolutely amazing!!

Original review: June 24, 2021

Have been waiting for a claim settlement for almost 8 months. Just keep receiving the same 30 days letter stating they are waiting for other responses even though we accepted their offer for settlement twice. This company does not act in good faith.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I was informed by a rep that my car would be repaired in its entirety. I put my car in the shop for repair, and was informed by the auto repair shop that a part of my claim was denied. After speaking with the claims adjuster, a part of my claim was denied (I would have to pay two separate deductibles.) Geico did not honor what the rep in the beginning informed. The claims adjuster came with a story that he was informed of different information. In short, Geico is dishonorable, only about your monthly installments, deductibles. A waste of time and money. Rated 1 star, only because 0 is not a option. I recommend Nationwide, or State Farm to anyone.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I've been with Geico for 17 years with only one claim submitted nearly 3 yrs ago. My insurance went up so I called to inquire the reason. The women I spoke to said she could see if I'm eligible for a discount. The women ran a soft credit check and returned to say I was not eligible. I asked her where she pulled my credit history and what was the determining factor. She could not tell me what they use and said, "Maybe it's due to the area you live or drive." Really! I told her this is not the case but sounds discriminating. My credit score is above average and have only ever had one accident in 35 yrs. I will be getting new car insurance at the end of policy. Good riddance geico

Original review: June 16, 2021

Worst insurance company I’ve had. Switching back to Progressive. Somehow always had wrong address/ billing info, always had to call to correct it. Even though I never changed info for the whole time I was with them (3 years).

Original review: June 15, 2021

Driving through the middle of Montana brought about feelings of being in the Scottish Highland. The vibrant green rolling hills were visually enhanced by the glowing orange sunset. My job interview in Bellevue, Washington wasn’t until Monday morning, so I had three days to drive the 16 hours. I wasn’t in a hurry, so I drove slowly and enjoyed the drive. I looked over and saw that the town of Lodge Grass was approaching. I wanted to stop since the store was on an Indian Reservation. I loved to collect Southwestern art.

Squinting in the glare of the sunset, I spotted something in the road. I slowed down and tried to figure out what it possibly could be. It was a small flock of deer. I drastically slowed down and scanned left and right for a possible safe path to travel. Everything looked fine. They seemed to be going at a steady pace and would fully cross the road prior to the car’s arrival. Then they seemed to become indecisive. “Oh, **,” I muttered in realization that I might have a bigger problem.

The deer, knowing that they couldn’t cross all four lanes, decided to return to their starting location and try again later. The only problem was that my vehicle was in the way of that return trek.

Changing their walk to a leap, the group turned around and headed back to the north side of the road. The first leap brought them in contact with the car. Like a television comedy, little deer legs went windmilling in every direction. The surprised looks on the deer showed their confusion and fear. I immediately pulled over and checked on the deer that was unable to get up. The others looked on with their silent recriminations. I saw that the deer was injured and not likely to be healed. She had, at the least, two front broken legs. I called 911 and asked for a Highway Patrol to meet me at my current location.

Let me break from the story for a minute and relate that I am in rural Montana and not at my typical location of Salt Lake City, Utah. My AT&T provided cell service does not work very well in this state. I was told by many residents that the best service to have in that state would have been Verizon. This factor played a major factor in the next 48 hours. However, the majority of my complaints arise out of Geico’s leaving me stranded without water nor food while having two dogs in the car with me.

The highway Patrol arrived and assessed the situation. I was currently on I-90 west at about mile marker 527.5. He suggested that I drive the short distance to Lodge Grass to get off the highway since it became more dangerous at night. I took the incident report (Montana Highway Patrol #**) and drove the short distance to Lodge Grass. I tried to call Geico, but I could not get a call to keep a connection. I called my wife, and she called Geico. We were able to convey our location through her, so we thought that unfortunate incident would soon be behind us. The lady said that the closest auto body shop was currently closed. The soonest that they could get out to me would be at 7am. Hearing this was annoying, but I figured that I could survive 10 hours in my car on the Reservation.

I slept in the parking lot of a closed store in Lodge Grass with two dogs clamoring for a spot to sleep on top of me. At about 2am a group of Native Americans started pounding of the doors of an RV that was parked fairly close to me. They were asking if they were broke down and where were they headed. It was a very scary situation, and I thought it best to move away as fast as possible. I started driving to the next town knowing fully that I had a hole in my radiator, but fearing that if I stayed, I would be killed.

The car seemed to work fine as long as I did not drive faster than 1500 rpm. Any faster than 1500 rpm, the car would overheat too quickly. I didn’t want to hurt the engine, but I didn’t know what else to do. I decided on 5 miles as a safe number. I drove 5 miles, and I would then wait one hour for the car to cool down. I did this all night until I reached the Big Horn Auto Body Shop that the Geico agent recommended. This company had no record of my even needing a tow. Furthermore, they couldn’t handle the type of damage that had occurred to the car. I tried calling Geico, but I gave up after exceedingly long wait times. What to do?

I stayed in town several hours and tried to determine my best course of action. I kept in continuous contact with my wife because I hoped that she would get a call from Geico. Eventually, the town folk convinced me that I needed to get to Billings, Montana to the VW dealership since they had their own specialized repair service (Rimrock).

So now I am living in my car with the dogs. Geico might want to hear from me, but their automated system is such that I can never contact them. I am not only depressed, but I am about to have a breakdown! Knowing that it might take me two days to drive the 49 miles to Billings, I decided to give my dogs up for adoption. Dogs that I love as much as my children were given up because I thought that they might die on the two day trip. I gave my two dogs to the Freckles and Tomcat Rescue at 10230 Old Mountain Highway 87; Hardin, MT 59034.

With tearing flowing freely down my eyes, I started driving the 5 miles that was possible each hour. About 2pm, a Geico agent called and asked if a tow truck had ever arrived. I said no. I gave my exact location. I, of course, lost reception, but the agent called back. The location was confirmed, so even though I lost reception with her a third time, I stayed right where I was and waited for the tow truck. I waited for the next five hours again in this high plains desert. Temps were over 100 degrees and I had no water, but the tow truck was finally on its way. Right? After five hours, I assumed that the agent had lied to again! I was so dehydrated that I did not think that I could make it through the night. I decided to try again for Billings.

I arrived at the Rimrock Auto body shop at 8am. Thirty-five hours after the crash, and I finally could finally safely get out of the car. There were no rentals available in Billings, and absolutely NO rentals for my one-way trip back to Salt Lake City. I was stranded. Geico would not or could not answer. I tried contacting them through the app several times, and I even tried to use the texting option. Nothing worked. I even tried emailing them hoping for any help or suggestion as to what I should do. Not knowing what else to do, I booked the cheapest flight that I could to SLC, Utah.

My car is basically abandoned in another state with my insurance company ignoring me. Is this what Geico’s Comprehensive Coverage entails? Please note that I have front and rear cameras installed in my VW Jetta. You cannot only see the incident, but, whenever the car is on, you can hear my conversation with Geico. Please feel free to retrieve these videos from the autobody shop located in Billings, Montana. Please also note that your company relies too heavily on the Geico app. If a person is in a location that does not receive cell service, they cannot even download the app!

GEICO Company Information