2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Simple online quote process
  • Competitive rates
  • Mobile app
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid/electric

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: June 8, 2020

I switched from USAA (veteran) to Geico - due to an approx 50.00 monthly savings for the exact same coverage! This in itself was a tremendous break. But I'm here to tell you about the Roadside Assistance coverage and how it's worth every bit of the added additional charge to my policy. To say "Life Saver" seems almost an understatement. The Geico app is intuitive and so easy to use - it will even pinpoint your car's location- very handy when you're in an unfamiliar neighborhood. AND- the CS reps are so helpful if you need to call. Everything is automated - so you don't have to call - but if you want to you can. How fantastic is that!! You can even lodge a complaint or praise about the service provider they connect you with. Not to mention - you never need cash if you're calling for the services they cover at no additional cost to you.

Here's another plus to the service - there's no limit to the number of times you call them (some services will cost if you request assistance a second time for the same occurrence ie-I have my car towed (no cost) but that garage couldn't fix the problem - so I request another tow (at my expense -unsure if it's discounted). I called to have my car jump-started. I traveled 2 blocks and inadvertently turned off my car-not long enough run time for the battery to be brought back to life. Within 10 minutes of my first request - I was submitting a second. Neither one cost me anything (other than the "tip" to the driver - completely at my discretion). The cost for me 17.00 per month! Definitely worth it- I've used the service 3 times since signing on with GEICO - and I'm confident I already received a return on that $17 investment!!

Original review: March 1, 2020

As I was driving, I saw my tire pressure light come on. I attempted to put air in the tire but it just kept leaking out. I called my car company first and they were going to tow me but that is not what I wanted. I then called Geico and do you know that the first question they asked was "are you in a safe location?" Now, if that does not make me want to brag about Geico, I do not know what will. Any company who worries about their clients (customers) is a company that I will continue to do business with. I was told that the assistance would arrive in about an hour but the driver called right away and was there in about five minutes. The driver was a pleasure to work with and the entire experience was wonderful. If I have to be stuck on the road, I am happy to have Geico on my side.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I was in collision on January 2019 which was not my fault. I could not on my own make opposite party insurance pay for damage to my car. Geico promised to pay for all car repair per my insurance policy and file claim for the cost from opposite party. It took a while and I got disheartened thinking Geico is not going to help so I went with other car insurance. But even I was not with Geico any longer, they got refund from opposite party and refunded my portion. I feel like to go back to Geico as they stood for me long after I left. They also have super customer care service who have knowledge and compassion. One of the best insurance company in USA. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My wife and I have used GEICO for a few years and honestly the best insurance is insurance that you don't have to use. Unfortunately we have had to use Geico more in the last couple of years that we've used in 30 years prior. We have NEVER had any issues, My latest wasn't necessarily an accident but an Auto issue. The dealer claimed that several insurance companies handle these claims and some (like State Farm) either do not or they are so hard to work with that they aren't worth it. Geico was nothing but curious, polite, and helpful. They did exactly what they said they would do on time and all was good. I may be cancelled by Geico because of my latest mishap, (I hope not), but they have been great.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been with Geico for 3 years and have never had any issues. I have never had long wait times and their monthly cost as well as coverage seems pretty good. I have 2 vehicles, both with a $250 deductible and pay $110 a month. They do have small monthly payment increases every 6 months, but once you hit year 3, they give you a discount on your monthly cost which is nice. They always have gotten back to me timely on all claims and contacted the bank where I had my load to send a check when my vehicle was totaled. They don't provide renter's insurance, but will set you up with Liberty Mutual in which both of your policies can be managed with a Geico representative for great convenience.

Original review: July 31, 2020

They increased my rate and I decided to opt our for the next 6 month. As soon as I did cancel my renewal, they denied my access to the website and the app. Also they charged me 115$ because they said they have credited my account because of the COVID before. I signed to another company and I am paying much less. Made a big mistake to be their customer. I was also refused to talk to a supervisor.

Original review: July 29, 2020

GEICO is using CCC One software is designed to keep claim values down by artificially reducing all relevant factors while ignoring others. CCC One is not a qualified dealer or appraiser, they markets itself to insurance companies (85%) by promising to reduce the cost of total loss settlements. The reports allegedly improperly determine car values based on none-existing comparable vehicles and make a series of arbitrary and unexplained adjustments to the total loss vehicle ACV calculation that ultimately result in lowball settlements amount offer to claimant from GEICO.

How does CCC One and GEICO lowball the settlement amount? Here are the few examples:
    • Lied about average miles driven per year per vehicle in state of MN
    • Excluded vehicle’s luxury trim and optional accessories in dollar adjustments on the report
    • Made up bogus comparable data (old/non existed) and sources (no link/carfax/images/KBB/NADA/Edmunds) as fact.
    • Assumed claimant purchase replacement from private party or whole sale instead of car dealer with lowball amount.

• Assumed vehicle sell at car dealerships or private party always better condition than claimant's totaled loss vehicle - prep fees deduction

• Deducted $1,290 for vehicle condition without any physical inspection
    • Did not include amounts for title transfer, tag transfer, or taxes to replace vehicle
    • Unfair mileage dollar credit/deduct adjustment:
    1) Plus mileage credit ~$0.0210/mile to claimant,

2) Minus mileage deduct ~$0.0650/mile to claimant.

Example of 10,000 miles different:
    +10,000 miles => Credit ~$210.00 to claimant
    -10,000 miles => deduct ~$650.00 from claimant.

(Note GEICO made ~$0.0440 per mile=> ~$440.00)

I reviewed and spotted about 50 bogus/flaws/misled on CCC One Evaluation Report and that GEICO is using to offer settlement amount. This is really bad deal for policyholders and claimants. I submitted a complaint with MN Department of Commerce for them to review and tracking of these kinds of practices. Please do the same if you are experiencing the same lowball settlement.

I have 2 desired resolutions for this review:
    1) Obtain settlement amount that I able to find and replace my totaled loss vehicle.

2) To help policyholders and claimants by investigate CCC IS and GEICO business practices and have lawmaker regulate them in Minnesota or nationwide if needed.

Good luck to us all policyholders and claimants!

Original review: July 20, 2020

I got an automobile policy with Geico and was on a month to month payment plan which I had been paying each month with my Debit Card. They gave me the COVID-19 discount in June, BUT, when they renewed my policy for July, It was $78 more a month. I called their customer service and ask why the rate increased $468? She told me it didn't increase and that the bills amount is incorrect and to go online and make my normal monthly payment. I told her I wanted a new statement sent with the correct renewal rate and I wasn't gonna pay until I get one. After looking at my online account, it had the same amount due. I later get a cancellation notice that my policy was cancelling on 07/29/20.

I messaged chat with customer service and she said the rate was higher because I changed my payment option. I told her I ain't changed anything, then she respond she made a mistake that Geico changed my payment plan from 6 monthly payments to 5 monthly payments and if I wanted to switch back to 6 monthly payments I have to do Auto Pay. I told her I would be changing to another company which I did that same day and made my new policy effective date 07/28/20 the day before Geico cancellation.

The next day Geico send me an email basically begging me to stay and saying I wouldn't find the discounts they offer with other companies. I told them I already have and my new policy starts on 07/28/20, I now have the most important coverage with my new vehicle policy, GAP, a higher PIP amount and Drivesence which Geico doesn't offer for round the same amount plus I pay 6 monthly payments vs higher 5 monthly payments. Later they send me an email that they cancelled my policy effective 07/28/20 with a balance due. I plan to forward all communication with my complaint to the State Board of Insurance.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have been insured with Geico for nine years. Never late or missed payments. I received the COVID 19 Give Back Credit of $348 in June 2020. They also raised my rates once again upon renewal starting July 19th 2020 so I decided to shop around for better rates. I did not renew my policy with Geico at the end of the six month policy. Geico then reversed my give back credit and billed me for $348! I was insured with them the entire six months and deserved the credit which was applied to my last monthly payment in June. I should owe them nothing!

Original review: July 14, 2020

So I had Progressive before I switched to Geico. Progressive had GAP coverage as part of my policy. I was nearing the end my my progressive policy and started shopping around. Geico offered 400 DOLLARS less than progressive, and I was ecstatic. After I started my policy, about two weeks later, a family member bought a new car and we were talking about it. She mentioned GAP, and then I realized I didn't add GAP to my Geico policy. And then I found out Geico does not offer GAP...and then a month later I got into an accident.

Though the accident wasn't my fault, it was my fault for not even thinking about GAP insurance when switching policies. However, Geico should mention when you shop around THAT THEY DON'T OFFER GAP. Put it in big letters when you are making your policy with Geico. It blew my mind that an insurance giant like Geico doesn't offer GAP. Every other major insurance company offers it, but not Geico. Maybe that's why they say "Save 15%" because that 15% extra you're paying with another insurer is the GAP coverage, lmao.

GEICO author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company is one of the nation’s second largest auto insurers. It stores user information for 90 days, so prospective customers who want to think on their quote for a while can come back and pick up where they left off. Customer service is available 24/7. The company also insures motorcycles and recreational vehicles.

• Coverage and plans: GEICO offers standard coverage, plus add-ons like mechanical breakdown coverage and ride-sharing insurance.

• Cost: The average rate for GEICO car insurance is about $96 per month.

• Discounts: GEICO has lots of discounts, including ones for safety equipment, certain organization memberships, policy bundling, insuring multiple vehicles, military service, good grades, no accidents, defensive driving courses, seat belt use and working for the federal government.

• Standout feature: GEICO is tech-savvy. We like the mobile app that lets users track their policy, view a digital insurance ID card, submit claims and pay bills. GEICO’s app assistant, Kate, makes it easy to access necessary information.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor