Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.54/5

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Average annual savings of $500 for new policyholders based on a 2018 GEICO national survey
  • Free and easy online quote and buying process
  • Mobile app makes it easy to view policies, request roadside assistance and file claims
  • Competitive rates
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid or electric cars

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3954 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had been with GEICO for more than 12 years. Their phone rep are always very efficient and clear. Recently I had an accident. Because I only had liability, GEICO doesn't have to pay a dime for my car and my medical. So the whole process, Geico was not there to help about the situation, what to expect and how to proceed, Geico was doing a really horrible job for me on this accident. Mainly the adjuster that assigned to me was rude and no empathy. Deeply disappointed the way they treated liability only customer.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had GEICO insurance for about a year. Had my car stereo stolen and made a claim. They acted like I was the one that stole it. I have never been treated so badly. I almost assaulted the investigator. It was like a police interrogation. They accused me of being a thief and a liar. I made the mistake of getting on auto pay. I called 3 times and told them to take it out of my checking. They took it out of my savings and overdrafted my account 3 times so I cancelled my policy.

After I cancelled they overdrafted my account two more times. That was 3 months ago. They have had me send my bank statement in 4 times and still haven't refunded the money. I have called and tried to straighten this out 7 times and every time they say they will call me back and never do. After I cancelled they sent me a notice saying I can't use auto pay because of too many overdraft fees. The overdraft fees that were 100% their fault. They also sent me a bill saying I owed them 969.00 after I cancelled. I would never do business with this company. They are so crooked it is unbelievable. They do bad business and are liars. GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company and has not one thing to do with the government. DON'T EVER USE GEICO IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was in an auto accident a week ago. She made a left turn in front of me - I put my brake on but still hit her. Because she almost made the turn they said it's 50-50. We both have Geico. The police report said she was totally at fault they've been putting me through heck and my car is still not paid for its minor injuries and now they're making me seek out an attorney. Before that they told me she was guilty and because she made a dispute they said it's 50-50. She even told me she tried to beat me. I have sent them reports over 20 time. They claim they don't have them. What am I supposed to do?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have been a customer of 17 years, I have condo, home and car insurance with Geico. My auto policy is not up for renewal 'til February 26th. On February 8th I received an email with a cancellation notice!!! I still have 2 weeks to pay for my policy. This is Customer service at its best - Really tempted to take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Called my states insurance commissioner. They are looking into deceptive practices. Be careful. Shop around. If they tell you something that seems questionable, shop around and ask same questions. We paid more than $3,000 in higher premiums over 2 years because I believed a lie.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

There’s not enough characters to explain my horrible experience. I am going to try making this a long story short. I got into a car accident and according to my policy I’m covered for a rental up to 30 days; However they only gave me 4 days. That isn’t even the worst of it. The TLC driver who hit me was 100% at fault. I went through my insurance (GEICO) and they’re not refunding my deductible. They’re making to get lawyers and go to court just to get it. Even though I was hit from behind & it was on the police record. Not only did they not refund what I’m entitled to, but they raised my premium.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I pay insurance on my grown daughter's auto because State Farm gives a family discount. Still, State Farm's premium on her car has been high since she got a stop sign ticket three years ago. So I decided to check out Geico and went through application process on their website. Answered lots of questions. At the end, they show a screen that gives me a six month quote (also monthly payment option) and a button to "buy". No indication of what the coverages are, so how can I compare their quote to my daughter's current policy? What kind of insurance company asks you to buy a policy without listing the coverages?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My family has had Geico for over 10 years. Our daughter got into a severe car accident in 2018. She was run off the road, and the vehicle fled the scene. She rolled her car several times resulting in a total loss claim. She had not even made the first car payment. Needless to say, Geico waited 33 days to make payment to lien holder resulting in a deficit owed. Although it showed we had accident forgiveness, it was not until after the events unfolded we found out that is only valid if the driver is over the age of 21.

Furthermore, they only offered $1000 toward medical bills even though we had uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage. My daughter is still without a vehicle and is having to borrow her brothers. They only offered $45 reimbursement of the deficit owed to the lien holder. Lien holder has since put negative remarks on our credit report because everything is tied up in litigation. When it came time to renew our terms, our premium went from $1450 every 6 months to $3937. The only other claim we had ever made with Geico was for a windshield. They have never had to pay for ANYTHING for us before, and this is how we were treated. Don't believe the hype in the commercials. This is all a hook, line and sinker to get you in their system while making the consumers think they are getting a deal. In reality, when their services are needed, you will be screwed.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I had GEICO for three years. I came out to my car damaged and GEICO suspended my rental coverage pending a investigation because I didn't know how my car got damaged. I paid for a rental and Uber's for three week before they completed their investigation and agreed to repair my car and provide me with a rental. After all that GEICO did not want to pay to replace my bumper; they wanted to repair it, so I ended up coming out of pocket to replace my bumper which was 800 dollars and still had to pay my deductible of 500 dollars. On top of all that they will not reimbursement me for the rentals and Uber's. I had to pay while they were doing their investigation and wasn't covering my rentals even though I had rental car coverage.

If I could give them less than one star I would. They are the worst auto insurance I've ever had, the only reason I switched over to them was because I needed rental coverage and it was cheaper than my current insurance company at the time. Cheaper isn't better. GEICO is trash! And they can care less about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I called to ask if I had roadside. They then started a comprehensive claim for a flat tire. I called to see if I have window coverage. They started a claim. I didn’t paid out of pocket. These two things drove up my insurance. Don’t ever call to ask questions or they will ** you. Worst company ever.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have been a Geico customer for 15 years. In that time I have never missed a payment and have paid Geico plenty of cash. When my kids began driving two things happened. My daughter had a 2 point (parking violation) and paid a $70.00 fine. My son 8 months later bumped a guy in the back. This accident was so minor that Geico paid $0.00 in claims. However! Geico said our "risk factor changed." Because of this our premium for 6 months increased by $1020.00 every six months. Geico had incurred no expense in either situation.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have had Geico for several years. I have never had any claims. I went on vacation and my car was flooded in a parking garage parked on a river that had a sudden flash flood in the middle of the night. My car was submerged the hood for over four hours in violently rushing, dirty flood waters. My car was towed and it took days for the adjuster to access it. When he called he told me he could not crank my car as he did not have the key but everything looked fine. He then went on to say the electronics worked perfectly. I may not be the smartest monkey on the tree but I very am not dumbest. No key, no cranky... So this was the first red flag. Mind you my CAR WAS UNDER WATER FOR OVER FOUR HOURS but he said all was fine. Just a new oil filter and a good wet dry vac!

I immediately had my car towed to a dealership which could not understand why the vehicle subjected to that type of flood would not have been totaled immediately. Electrical failures started two weeks post accident and Honda will not honor my 5 year bumper to bumper 100k warranty on my brand new flooded car but the adjuster said “he just couldn’t total a $30k car”

Hired a lawyer and will probably sue them for WAY more than what they would have had to pay out if they had just done the right thing! The time is running out for them “to do the right thing” as far as I am concerned. I am very disappointed in the good faith practice they claim to offer. I have paid my premiums ($578) every month without lapse and this is how I’m treated. They would have made this up in a short time just off my premiums had they done what was right but I guarantee that they’ll never see another penny from me after the hell they have put me through for over a month!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I paid for their service 2,5 years and because of traveling I late to pay and Geico doubled my rate... "Great" customer service and disrespect for customers. Because they need more money for everywhere advertising.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I've been a GEICO customer for 3 years. Someone clipped my side mirror while I was parked on curb on a Tuesday. I filed a claim online and set up appointment with GEICO on Friday. They told me to bring car in to get a quote and repair the car. My wife drove in from out of town early so I could use her car while mine was in shop. When I got to the GEICO shop, the adjuster said he was only authorized to take pictures and report back to GEICO. They turned me away at the shop pending a longer a special investigation which could take a couple weeks. The quote to fix was $160 or so and my deductible was $200 so it was going to be out of pocket anyway. I asked if I could just get it fixed elsewhere. However, GEICO wants me to not fix the car while the investigation is ongoing. Now I have a busted side mirror, can't drive my car, can't use my coverage for a rental and don't know when I will have this resolved.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Got bumped by the driver has GEICO as an insurance - the same as mine. 2 incidents happened with the same insurance company GEICO. GEICO will pick the one who got the most damage and let that party responsible for 75% without further explanation - no matter who at fault without any investigation and went straight up to decision. Just because I am their new customer and recently just switched from State Farm to GEICO for almost a month? I feel insecure when I have GEICO as my insurance for 5 more months. Going to tell my friends and family to stop doing business with this cheater company. I KNOW GEICO WON'T CARE OF HOW THEIR CUSTOMERS REVIEWED THEM ON HERE BUT I JUST GO FOR IT. Bad customer services, bad attitude, cheating company will have an unsatisfied customers.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

The claims adjuster did not do any research for our case or only the research she wanted to uncover. We had 2 different claims adjusters. One said, "Yes we can cover you," then the other said, "No we can't," with no change in facts.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Our car was in accident 4 months ago. And this is the worst experience for a client to be dragged through. They only paid for the first 30 days of rental car even though we had to wait months to get the replacement parts from Europe. So I have been paying for a rental car ever since. From the start the first adjuster’s assessment was wrong. The car should have been totaled but was not. Got the car out finally and now the car overheats. We took it to a specialist and he said the fan assembly was not working properly because of the accident and now we have warped heads. While in the shop for over a week now, the new adjuster said he was looking for an engine replacement.

They could not find one so I talked with him yesterday and he said most likely it will be totaled. So this afternoon I get a call today saying they were only going to replace the fan assembly and that should fix the problem. I’m no mechanic but how is replacing the fan assembly going to fix the engine? Seriously what are they thinking. So now I have to wait for them to get in a fan assembly and still keep paying for a rental car while we wait again. Is there a time limit that this has to be resolved by, how do I get reimbursed for my rental car expenses. Do not use Geico as your insurance carrier. Worst mistake ever.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Recently filed a claim on my 2017 Ford Mustang. The estimate adjusters were not very good at their job. GEICO only pays for crappy aftermarket parts. Been with them for 15 yrs and deserve better. Took three days to go to the body shop so repairs could get started. They inform me that my expensive policy does not include a rental car. Never offered me one to be on my policy. That is supposed to be full coverage. Definitely thinking about changing companies on my renewal. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Don't go for Defensive Driver Discount, such a cheaters, they actually raised my premium after applying discount. So in end I have to pay 260 dollars more for 6 months, so I spent money and time in passing that course and in end lost 300 dollars.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Mr. Warren Buffet needs to read my complaint here as I am also a private investor and very upset with Geico as of turn of 2019 year came in, and their seemingly new sleezy business practices to make money any way they can. I have many types of insurances from personal to business needs, and always been top rated client for many years. We have never had auto accidents either, are AARP members, and after being with Geico the past 10+ years (auto insurances) we are now going to go elsewhere. Here's our story:

We had purchased (2) new vehicles in the past 3 years (one for my wife to replace old, and one to replace my work vehicle). My most recent was a 2018 GMC Sierra, which was same exact replacement of an older 2004 GMC Sierra I had. Our auto insurance rates actually went down when we made the sale of the new vehicle at the Dealership, told it was because of all the new technology and safety equipment, etc over my older vehicle.

We also have our last son in high school graduating this June, who has been driving over 2 years and went through a 1 year State required driver training program in past as well. He was covered under our (2) auto policies (student coverage rider) we have with Geico if/when he drove our vehicles, or anyone else's vehicles... SO we had this new GMC purchase 4 months ago and also my wife's 2016 Toyota 4-Runner, both with 100% full coverage as always. So initially we were happy and everything seemed great the last few months, and Geico's rates were far better than anyone else's including AARP sponsored insurers.

Now comes January 2019, and 6 month policy renewal period again, we received bill in mail and OMG, all of sudden the premiums went 50% higher without any explanation! Without going into every detail my wife has been going through from countless Geico agents to NC Insurance commissioner's office, etc. We find out finally from one Entity inside Geico, that because our son has a license in NC, that he must be "assigned" a certain vehicle as his own! In essence, Geico now added a 3rd Comprehensive policy coverage because our high school (18 year old) son who lives in our home, and is a full time student, are charging us as if we had (3) vehicles in our home, which we only have (2).

On top that, through a research department my wife dealt with at Geico, we find they did a Wells Fargo bank on us too!!! Meaning, they also added additional bank-type products on to our policy which also costs extra over just the policy which WE NEVER asked for or knew about! SO this matter we find started back around time she got her 2016 Toyota and she is trying to get all of those monthly payments/costs credited back to us that should NEVER have been padded into our policies to begin with... But the ongoing issue at hand is this enormous auto policy increase we are told is being investigated by Geico for the last 3 weeks and so many individuals who have bounced my wife around saying "Only the Underwriting Department" now can repair this and make changes to any policy once enacted.

This is disgusting, and with so many years' history with Geico, because the 13th of January was our due date, and we were forced to pay this monthly premium over $400.00 Geico now shows due to keep insurance policy active under NC law, until cleared up internally and corrected as they say only Underwriting can do - But we have NOT heard from anyone in Underwriting Department yet! Talked to my oldest friend whose wife has been in insurance over 30 years, and she is also #1 Underwriter for another major insurer, and she said she NEVER heard of anything like this going on as there are only (2) vehicles in our home, and only (2) vehicles need to be insured...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I will NEVER go back to GEICO as long as I live. They have been nothing but expensive from the start. My rate went down sort of for a while and I didn't question it because some companies do that for good drivers. However they started raising it more and more each month and nobody would tell me why. I was never given a reason for the upcharges. They just went ahead and did it! The "discounts" are BS! It took maybe 2 bucks off. At the end before cancellation they were trying to charge $101.00 for liability only. I have no tickets and have been in no accidents in 6 years. Don't go with Geico for saving money because you won't.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I myself have had an issue with Geico claims department. I’m very disappointed with the service I received. I was lied to, manipulated, pressured, and degraded not by one employee but 2 from the same department. I’m going to make a long story short because there are already several agencies already investigated my complaint. I had an accident sent my car to one of Geico’s approved body shop to be inspected for further damages. Well I don’t know if Geico was trying to save money or maybe they thought they could get away with putting an unsafe vehicle back on the road. That is not only unsafe for myself but for other drivers.

The adjuster handling my claim called me two days after my car was sent to the shop and said the auto body shop inspected my car and there is no other repairs needed other than what was originally quoted. I asked about my airbag light because it was a safety issue and wasn’t on prior. I was told it is not Geico’s responsibility and if I wanted my airbag light fixed I would have to pay myself because they are not responsible for it.

So I called the shop where my car was and the auto body shop told me they plugged in my airbag and the code came up “faulty seatbelt switch” I asked the mechanic if that’s the code came up why is Geico refusing to fix it or send it to dealer for further inspection? I also asked the mechanic if he inspected everything I was concerned about because Geico said he had. He said, "No we have done nothing to your car but read the airbag light code and we don’t even have the proper equipment for that. The dealer does." I said, "Thank you for your honesty because I was told by my adjuster and his supervisor that the inspection was done and no more damages were found." Now my question to Geico is do you routinely practice putting your customers in unsafe cars after a accident. Was I as a customer not important enough for you to inspect my car and ensure you were putting a safe car back on the road.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I was hit by an insured driver of Geico. Their insured driver was 100% at fault and we were told that our vehicle would be paid for 100% and this accident happened in April of 2018 and here it is January of 2019 and we are still fighting with Geico to fully reimburse my insurance company back. They have tried several times to get out of paying and I'm tired of it. Their insured driver was in the wrong lane going into on coming traffic and slammed into us on purpose. We had several witnesses and a police report that stated all of this and they still don't want to pay up. Geico is a joke and they are liars. I'm going to retain an attorney soon and sue if this doesn't get handled. Geico is one of the worst insurance companies to deal with ever! I would never get insurance thru Geico ever!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Ads say they can save you money. Well that is complete hogwash. Their quotes are much higher than most other companies. To me that's false advertisement. Why can't they stop feeding the public bull. Read reviews by others about this company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Auto body 'repair shop' returned my car to me without doing the repairs. Upon further investigation by Geico, in addition to not completing the repairs the repair shop requested additional parts replacement for thousands of dollars while in possession of my car, however the parts were not replaced. Geico employees and their supervisor are fully aware of the issue, however they refuse to help saying, I picked the body shop. All I can figure is the Geico employees are incompetent or involved in the insurance fraud.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Been with Geico for over 15 years. Paid on time, always. No accidents. Purchased new car end of December. Took the old car off. New car on. Paid my January bill as instructed. The bill was due Sat., Jan. 5th. I had scheduled a payment through my bank which reached them Monday, Jan. 7th. They sent me an email on Sunday, the 6th, one day late, with a threat to cancel if not paid within a couple weeks. They received my payment on the 7th as scheduled.

Today I was informed that because I was one business day late (?) they were requiring a second payment the end of this month of January and then another payment due the beginning of February (essentially split the bill due for February). I was informed they were required to send out 2 warnings of cancellation within one week by the state with as little as one day late. All this because I was 1 business day late... Needless to say, I was very upset, called their company and asked to speak to the customer service manager. When I heard the manager stifle a laugh the first time, I thought it was my imagination. But then I heard him do it the second time and then tried to cover it up with a cough when I waited to respond. I guess they find upset customers humorous.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was in an accident that totaled my vehicle in February 2018. GEICO paid me out in full. Great experience. GEICO told me that I should continue to carry full coverage insurance in case I am in an accident in another vehicle, so I did. In March 2018 I purchased a new truck. In August 2018 I was in an accident "in another vehicle" where I was at fault. I handed over my insurance information to the other person in the accident with no worries. I received a call saying that I was not insured. Turns out that my new truck was not on the policy. I called GEICO and they told me that they would not pay for any damage to either vehicles even though I had been paying full coverage on a vehicle that I no longer owned. I talked to every manager but Warren ** at GEICO in hopes of them taking responsibility for the accident considering they took 7 months of full coverage premiums.

No one would help me out. They would not even refund me the 7 months of full coverage premiums that I had paid. Essentially I paid 7 months of full coverage premiums on a vehicle that I did not own and got nothing in return because my new truck was not on the policy. I had to pay $8000 out of my own pocket to fix my truck. The other person had to claim uninsured motorist. Only after I filed complaints with the Texas Department of Insurance and Attorney General and many calls to GEICO did they refund my 7 months of premiums.

Now I have to pay $6000 because I am being sued for not having insurance, when technically I did. Once again, I called GEICO and I was told there was nothing they 'wanted' to do. GEICO completely took advantage of me. They took no responsibility. They turned their back on me when duty came to call. I am stuck paying $14,000. What entity is out there to hold them accountable? I am a US Army Combat Vet who spent 24 months in Afghanistan and Iraq. 'Proudly serving veterans since 1936'? I would hardly claim to be proud of how they served this veteran.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Terrible experience. I go to their website to quote an auto insurance policy, provide 100% accurate information, and after entering all my private and bank information and hitting the purchase button, they double the price from $,1500 to $3,300 for no reason. Their Motor Vehicle report did not contain the accidents I reported, and hence the quote should have gone down. I call them resolve and they indicate their website in only a quoting tool and not intended to be taken seriously - after they asked for my private information and banking information to pay the policy. Then after calling them they bait and switch again by telling me the coverage is not for the 250K/500K I was quoted, but for $100K/$300K. So, even if I decided to pay double the price quoted I would still be later surprised to find out I paid for what was only 1/3 the coverage quoted. If this is not marketing deception, I do not know what it is.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Been with GEICO for 2 years, never an issue. They smoked all the competitive insurance companies I got quotes from. Yeah - your rate might increase, they have to compensate for all the bad drivers. It's a business, they need to make money to stay afloat. Pay your bill on time and don't crash your car and it will be smooth sailing.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Had two instances of dealing with Geico, which is my insurance carrier. In the first case, the other vehicle driver opened the door as we were approaching him and, essentially "took" our side off. Geico claims rep's work on the claim limited to sending us letters to inform us that Geico is awaiting other party's response. I called the other insurance on a weekly basis and eventually forced them to pay off despite their policyholder's decline to respond. In the second instance, Geico claims rep just checked Google maps and made a decision on the case without conducting investigation and obtaining any further evidence of fault/no fault. Moreover, she sent us the letter stating we never responded to her contact attempts - I'm coming back to her with the recording of a conversation I had with another claims rep while she was away from her desk. I understand cutting corners when feasible, but this is definitely not the time.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

GEICO Company Information

www.geico.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.