2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.0/5 (139 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Geico was at my side during the entire claim process. Kayla and Brent from SC did an exceptional job. Not only w their knowledge, professionalism and updates but they truly cared about me. The accident had me so stressed out. My car had a good bit of damage. Geico covered it all. Provided me with a 30 day rental car and paid all the bills pertaining to this accident in a timely manner. I wish I could give them 10 stars!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have enjoyed being a Geico customer for a few years. When the covid pandemic hit geico took it upon themselves to give a percentage of the customers payments back to them to help during the struggle. To me this has proven that it is more than a company just looking for profit. I use the app to pay my bill which is very convenient. The app also has an option to easily extend your payment date if you are struggling which is great not having to call and explain to a stranger your personal financial situation. I have recently added my daughter to my insurance and the price is very good compared to other insurance companies. I am a very satisfied customer and would not take my business anywhere else.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I've switched companies over the years. Every so many years when I thought my insurance premium was getting too high. I've always gone back to Geico because even though over time the premiums might get higher, when you go back the premiums are stellar. Can't be beat. When and if you have to file a claim geico is fast and a pleasure to do business with. They make the ordeal not quite as traumatic as it could be. Overall even though the premiums go up over time, I would give the company a five star rating. I love that you can use the app and either print out your cards, make changes to your account or file a claim. It's easy and user friendly. Thanks geico.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been using Geico insurance for decades and have found them to be a moderately reliable company. I am able, due to my own and my spouses driving record, to insure both of are older vehicles (my 2002 Volvo S40 and her 1999 Mercedes Benz) for around a dollar a day. Granted this is the minimum coverage required by California law, but California law is quite exacting. Plus, the joint value of our cars is less than $4,000.00.

We've only had one accident in all of our years with Geico. It involved us being hit from the rear and being flipped onto the side. Luckily no one was hurt beyond a few scratches and cuts. Geico was the insurer for both vehicles and worked with us until an amicable solution was reached for both parties. And most importantly, did not raise our rates, since we were not at fault. Thus, their claims department, unlike other companies, is just as good as their billing department. Which the latter, as is evident, has always worked with us to keep our car insurance premiums within our budget.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I have had insurance for a considerable amount of time. For years I was with another insurance company because it was the company my parents dealt with. Can I tell you by switching to GEICO I saved myself so much money! The premiums are reasonable, the customer service is great, and I am beyond pleased. I highly recommend them to young drivers, drivers who have had insurance for a while and are looking to bundle. You will save yourself a lot of money and you will not be compromising the quality of coverage.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I was with GEICO for years. I had a minor fender bender that cost them just over $1,000 and they tripled my insurance rates. Needless to say I was shocked. It was the only accident I had ever had in my 60 years of driving.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I have been a Geico customer for over 7 years. Recently I made changes to my policy that required me to get off auto pay. When my payment was not automatically taken out, Geico cancelled me with little to no warning causing me to have to pay almost $500 to get my policy reinstated. This company bleeds the working man. All those years with this company and they treat me with little to no regard. Worst experience of my life. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Just like any other Auto Insurance Business, this Company, so far has been ok for the time being when it only comes down to Car Insurance. I have yet to have to contact them for any collisions and repairs, so I cannot speak on any major interaction or service requests for vehicle damages. I will say they have, so far kept their word when it boils down to either raising your rates or lowering them and even keeping them the same. I've been with Geico now for nearly 3 plus years and haven't had any price hikes or issues with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

We had to have the windshield replaced on our 2020 Acura MDX. Originally GEICO told me they would reimburse me the full cost, minus the deductible, to have the dealership replace the glass. When I submitted the invoice for reimbursement, they went back on what they originally said, and told me that they don't pay for the real Acura windshield, and instead I should have put knock-off brand glass on the car. They also wouldn't pay the full price of the dealer installation (even though they originally told me they would), and instead I should have gone to a third party installer, who isn't even certified to recalibrate the safety features.

If the camera is recalibrated by the people who Geico wanted me to have this work done by, and who aren't certified to do it, it would lower the safety level of the car and defeat the purpose of having all these safety features to begin with. Why does Geico want to make my family car less safe? Now, because they went back on what they originally said, and because they want to make my car less safe with off-brand glass and uncertified recalibration of safety features, I'm having to pay $1200 out of pocket for the windshield, instead of the $500 deductible they originally told me I'd have to pay. This is ridiculous and I will be looking elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Never get a GEICO Commercial insurance for your vehicles. One of our drivers got a speeding ticket during a personal vacation in a rental car. And GEICO sent us a letter saying they were cancelling our business insurance! For 1 speeding ticket! I called and told GEICO we were having the driver take a class so the points would be off his license. And if they would reconsider afterwards, the answer was a No because they only run a license check once a year and they already had done that. Then they said I should consider one of their partners that I can get but I would have to download an app so they can monitor my drivers and their speeding habits to get insurance. Are you kidding me! You want to monitor my employee's whereabouts to give me insurance! STAY AWAY!!!

GEICO Company Information