3.6/5 (1425 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

A Geico insured ran his car through our fence. We submitted pictures and the invoice from the fence repair company. Geico took 5 months to pay claim but not before they reduced the amount to ‘reflect depreciation’ in the fence. I told them the repair cost had nothing to do with the age of the fence (which is only a few years old anyway). They were take it or leave it in their attitude - just an excuse for them to underpay the claim.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

Apparently, Geico believes that raising rates every single 6 month policy term is good business. I've had it. My one claim in recent YEARS was for lock out assistance while camping, 9pm with no one for miles. The agent was shockingly insensitive, telling me to have a good evening after informing me I needed to find my own tow company. I was also informed that since Geico failed to assist me, and I carried roadside assistance, I would be reimbursed for paying out of pocket. The ENTIRE fee - I asked very specifically. This was not correct. I do NOT recommend Geico for auto insurance. Rate hikes with no warning, failure to provide services paid for, and misleading information provided.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

They raised my insurance rates over 60%. I've been with Geico 24 years. No claims or accidents. Perfect driving record. They just decided to raise everybody rates. Very bad customer service treating a 24-year-long customer with no respect and no courtesy 60%.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Never had 1 ticket or accident. Got almost a 50% hike in my PLPD. Never filed 1 claim. Their excuse was a reminder that gas prices and automobile prices are high. My car is paid off!!!!! What a disgusting way to treat loyal and safe drivers.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

My husband and I experienced a flat tire on a major highway near Atlanta. We pulled onto the side shoulder and called Geico for help. We were told someone would be there in 45 min. Three hours later, still no help. A driver passing by stopped and changed the tire. Geico could not get one tire changed in 3 hours in the middle of the city! We are now looking for another company so that we feel safe when driving!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I have Geico auto insurance for my Range Rover. I hit a deer and damaged my bumper, and radiator, Geico told me I was fully covered, and only had to pay my $500.00. I received a call from the body shop saying Geico would not pay their labor rate, nor pay for new parts. Geico will pay for used parts to be put on a Range Rover??!! I owe the $500.00 deductible, plus $1100.00 for the repair. Geico told me I would be fully covered up until the pick up date for my vehicle, then the adjuster denied the $1100.00 charge from the repair shop for using new parts. I do not suggest insuring expensive cars through Geico because they will not pay the cost of the new parts.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Honestly, I accept some of blame for what I discovered today. I retired in Jan 2022 and was fortunate enough to have enough in savings to pay off our home mortgage among other debt. I really didn't pay much attention to what I was paying in homeowners insurance because it was all rolled into our monthly mortgage payment and my wife manages our family finances. However, once our home was paid off I saw the insurance bill for $4,896.00 per year.

I didn't realize that our homeowners insurance was that high. I called GEICO and was told that due to the high cost of labor and materials, that the replacement for our home justified that rate. I decided to call around other insurance companies and was able to get a quote of $1,280.52 from a very well known and reputable company for the same or better coverage that I was getting from GEICO. You can imagine my frustration when I after 35 years of loyalty to GEICO was paying $3615.52 more per year than what a competitor offered me. I don't understand how a company can charge that much of a difference for the same coverage.

Moreover, for the last 35 years, I have been paying GEICO for all of my vehicles and homeowners insurance and they repay my loyalty with a significantly higher premium and wouldn't even consider a reduction. They claimed that I because of my loyalty, I was getting an excellent rate. Needless to say they have lost a loyal customer and I will share my experience with all my family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I used GEICO insurance company for several years, I got into a car accident when another driver (who is also insured by Geico) ran a red light and T boned me, there was police present and it was construction zone, to make the long story short, Geico contacted me on Aug 18 2021 over 2 months later and said they will pay for my car and rental car as well, I rented a car from a small company, they denied paying for it, and said Enterprise give them a deal on rental, I asked them, "Why you didn't do that from day one," they said nothing.

I had bills for over $10,000 rental cars, they offered me $1400 and said, "Take it or leave it, this is all you get," I asked them if I can claim the balance from the person who hit me, they said no. I am out all kind of money because of geico stand and not honoring my loss. I finally went to another company to get insurance through, and the other company is a well known company, and they offered me a better insurance and saved me at least $2000 annually.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

We have insurance with Geico for auto, house and umbrella for several years. Fount out that our renewal auto insurance premium for 6 month of coverage will go up by 60% due to inflation. Started to shop for insurance with other companies.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Geico's insurance agents are basically taught to toe the line of fraudulence to save the company money. I was stopped at a stop sign, and a car driving past either decided or remembered to turn last minute, cut it way too sharp and fast and hit me. I was literally at a stop, the other driver was clearly at fault. The police report said they were, I got the name and number of a witness and (very rough) footage from their door cam. Then the sketchy Geico agent says that police reports are "subjective" and not taken into consideration, they couldn't get ahold of the witness (even though I did anytime I tried even from a different number), and that there were three people in the other car saying I was at fault and only my word against theirs. They ruled that I was 100% at fault. Total bull crap. Thank goodness my insurance is now fighting them in court, but I am just astounded that they even attempted to pull that kind of crap.

Now this whole case is going to be held up in court for who knows how long. Not only are they fudging facts to benefit themselves, when they get called out on it by another company they waste thousands of dollars in legal fees for both sides, such a waste, it's likely costing more than the actual damage. Unbelievable business practice.

GEICO Company Information