3.8/5 (1891 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Top GEICO Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Michael ** assisted with an error I found on my parent's policy with professionalism and in a timely manner. I can't say enough good about Mikey, he has restored my faith in Custo...

Verified

I've had Geico auto insurance over 30 years, and I have found they are the easiest to deal with. Online or mobile app, it makes managing my payments and policy easy… customer serv...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About GEICO auto insurance

GEICO is an insurance company that’s served American drivers since 1936, and it’s currently one of the largest coverage providers in the country. The company is known for its affordable rates and various discount options. GEICO focuses on mobile app and online services rather than in-person assistance, but policyholders get access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance.

GEICO car insurance coverage

GEICO offers a variety of car insurance options, including:

• Collision: Pays for damages due to an accident.
  • Comprehensive: Covers vehicle damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire or other incidents.
  • Bodily injury liability: Pays for damages for the other party’s bodily injury or death from an accident when you’re at fault.
  • Property damage liability: Covers damage to someone else’s property from an accident for which you’re at fault.
  • Medical payments: Pays for your medical expenses resulting from an accident.
  • Personal injury protection: Pays for medical treatment, missed wages and other accident-related expenses no matter who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured motorist: Can help cover your injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Underinsured motorist: Pays for damages caused by drivers without sufficient insurance.

GEICO also offers add-on coverages, such as emergency road service, rental reimbursement and mechanical breakdown insurance.

GEICO car insurance quotes and rates

As with most insurance, GEICO rates vary depending on a number of factors. The company considers your age, location, driving history, gender and more when calculating your rate. For customers who qualify, GEICO does offer several discounts:

• Air bag
  • Military
  • Multivehicle
  • Multipolicy

GEICO auto insurance FAQ

Does GEICO offer classic car coverage?
Yes, GEICO does offer coverage for classic and antique cars. The company has specific criteria for this insurance.
Does GEICO have a safe driver discount?
Yes, GEICO offers discounts for safe drivers, as well as a program called DriveEasy, which uses an app to track your driving. With this app, you can save up to 25%, depending on your driving habits.
Does GEICO have full coverage plans?
GEICO claims there’s no single definition for full coverage insurance. Instead, it emphasizes tailoring coverage to meet your specific needs. GEICO offers vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured motorists and more coverage to meet your needs.
How long is a GEICO quote good for?
GEICO doesn’t specify how long a quote is valid; the length of time varies from provider to provider. Some quotes last for 30 days or more, and some companies update quotes in real time, meaning they could change at any point.

Is GEICO good car insurance?

GEICO is one of the country’s largest insurance providers, and it’s known for its affordable rates and plethora of discounts. It offers 24/7 customer service and roadside assistance, and it focuses on serving policyholders online and through its mobile app, which many find convenient. However, if you prefer managing your policy in person, GEICO may not be the best choice for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

I've been a GEICO customer for 20+ years. I have great confidence in GEICO and have always been treated fairly... Their agents and representatives are the best. Thank GOD, I believe my monthly premium to be the lowest rate after having checked with other insurers. GREAT Company... GREAT rates... who can beat that combination.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Rashawnda was absolutely the best. She was so patient with me as I was her and she explained everything so well to my understanding. She was able to give me answers to exactly what I needed, very helpful.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Spoke to three different agents and although my call went to the wrong person still found it a great experience to talk to the wrong agent. Very attentive, no whole time and all of them were extremely nice. I never write reviews but I had to do one for them today. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They are definitely a good Inc. car insurance to have. I really enjoy having them and the price that I get is amazing. I would recommend them to anyone. Their claims process is the easiest that I have ever going through. You definitely get your money's worth.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Very affordable auto insurance. Geico handled my auto claim quickly when my car was a total loss. Geico adjusters called first thing on Monday morning and by Thursday, I received a payment, that was deposited into my account. Didn't have to do anything else, amazing! I have had great customer service in every area with GEICO.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I was in a terrible accident where the tire shop did not put the lug nuts on my car properly which resulted in a crash. I told Geico but they blamed me for the accident and quadrupled my rates making it impossible for me to afford to drive. Subsequently they refused my medical claims because an orthopedic doctor, their examiner who only saw me for a few minutes stated I did not need care which was totally false.

I had a serious head injury, spinal injury and contused my chest very badly, slamming agains the steering wheel in a head on collision on the highway. It has been an uphill battle getting care and getting it covered. Don't think you are covered for medical just because you have medial coverage on your policy. The Geico doctors seem to be in the business to deem you not in need of care so Geico does not have to pay claims. It's a screwed up system that treats customers well when they have no claims but when it gets down to covering you when you are injured they don't want to pay.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

My car was hit on August 31st. I have a witness, time and date stamped photos of person's Geico card as well as their registration and admitted they did it. Geico said they tried for a week to contact them, your claim's department then gave up and ignored all of the evidence I had and said I was out of luck. Lesson being just blow off geico for a week and you don't have to pay for the claim and neither does Geico. I'm a Geico customer, who defends me? This was a lousy experience.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Updated on 9/26/2022: RE: **. So far I have been told I didn't make the 63.54 payment - that is why my new policy canceled - Also that my policy canceled on the 28th. Also that my new policy was canceled for non-payment of the new amount that included the old balance due of the 63.54 that I HAD PAID and WILL PROVE IN YET ANOTHER WAY BELOW WITH GEICO'S OWN HISTORY!!! BUT you also told me there is a 15 day grace period that had NOT YET PASSED for me to have paid my new policy!!! Therefore, it should NOT have Been Cancelled for non-payment! Because my account had been caught up for the previous policy payment of 63.54 and the grace period for the new policy had not yet passed!

It shows IN MY BANK STATEMENT the payment I made on 8/9 of $63.54 (to cover the payment not made after a double payment was disputed on july 26th.) YOUR HISTORY SHOWS MY CARD WAS DECLINED 8/9 YET...my bank shows it cleared. YOUR HISTORY ALSO SHOWS MY POLICY WAS NOT CANCELED UNTIL 8/8 yet you're telling me it cancelled a different date... you've also told me it was due to not paying the old balance of 63.54 which I did otherwise would not have been able to dispute it AGAIN TODAY since you claim no payment was received! How about choose ONE story and stick with it! And it did indeed CLEAR because that is the I HAVE NOW DECLARED to 20 DIFFERENT GEICO EMPLOYEES A DOZEN DIFFERENT TIMES!

Original review: I have been with GEICO for years- I'm not on auto pay, so they inundate me with payment dues via text, email and paper mail- even though I'm digital only. 2 weeks ago they mailed my new policy cards to me, followed by a letter last week telling me that canceled my policy August 28 - 2+ weeks after my renewal OUT OF THE BLUE - cancelled! For a double payment that had gone through in JULY I disputed only ONE of the payments but geico clearly redacted one of the double payments after the fact so neither were paid- The day I found this out, I paid it again and have proof it cleared on august 9/10... I have sent them MULTIPLE screen shots of the one disputed for the double payment July 26th- and the cleared payment August 9th.

I still have no insurance and it is now September 22nd. I have emailed them a dozen times and spoken with a dozen people. All for them to tell me what I already know- a glitch happened between the companies but they are holding me accountable even though I paid it...again! I thought, I'll just pay it a 3rd time so I at least have my insurance and it will get worked out- only now GEICO will only accept a FULL ONE TIME PAYMENT of 900$ to reinstate me-- AFTER BEING WITH THEM FOR YEARS!!!! AND THIS BEING A TECHNICAL ERROR NOT OF MY DOING!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Geico is a horrible insurance company! I was recently in a car accident that was not my fault and I was provided with extremely poor service. No adjuster was assigned to my claim and no one contacted me to process the claim. The claim representatives are extremely unprofessional and unknowledgeable of how to answer questions regarding an insurance claim. They sent me to a bad repair collision center which damaged my vehicle and the Geico claims department never took the time to contact me to investigate & inquire about the damages. They denied any damages after one month by leaving a general voice message by a novice adjuster that I had never been in contact with.

I have been a loyal customer of Geico Insurance Co since 2009 and I feel that in the last few years Geico company has done a total revamp of the company and it's a big disaster and a mess! The company does not acknowledge nor do they care about the customer who pays for auto insurance in order to receive protection when there is a collision or damages as a result of a MVA. Their staff stinks and they have no idea what insurance is if they feel they can boot "you out" and not explain anything to you!! They have no understanding of the law, and ethical standards for processing a claim!! I am horrified and appalled at how unruly, disrespectful and ugly their services are. They are by the way providing a service!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I tried to get full coverage on my new car and they denied me even though I have had no tickets or accidents in over 7 years. I'm legally allowed to drive, but Shawna the manager was rude and sounded like she just wanted to get me off the phone since it was 10pm. I would never get coverage through them again and will cancel my policy tomorrow.

GEICO Company Information