Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.22/5

GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

3705 GEICO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

So I was with Progressive for 15 years. I decided to shop around and Yes Geico gave me a lower rate. I switched over to Geico. My daughters car gets hit by another Geico customer. The other driver get the ticket. I then receive a cancellation from Geico. I called and was told we were high risk. I asked how can this be if my daughter was not at fault. They were not very helpful. I asked if the other drivers policy was also cancelled and they would not answer my question. This is very unfair business and the customer service was not very helpful. I am so disappointed with this company. I am now back with Progressive. Yes you pay a little more but the customer service is Amazing! Careful with this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Geico's insured ran a red light on the highway and tipped over my 7 ton RV conversion with a minivan, doing 16 thousand (plus) dollars worth of damage, according to the body shop it was taken to post-collision. After giving me the runaround for six months, passing my claim between no less than five claims officers - none of whom apparently bothered to make themselves familiar with the incident - their phony "inspector" claims their insured did only "58.00" in damage. Due to the times I park my vehicle, this inspector COULD ONLY HAVE PERFORMED HIS "INSPECTION" IN THE DARK! His "report" makes zero reference to the MASSIVE damage to the shell of my vehicle - damage which is ITEMIZED in the body shop's estimate.

Their insured did well-documented damage. They destroyed the value of a vehicle which will cost me around 17.5k to replace. I presented them with the facts and they simply ignored them - then threw out a figure so low as to add insult to injury. This is not insurance. This is RACKETEERING. Why does "Geico" still exist?Read these horrible reviews. How long will they be allowed to practice fraud on the American public?

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We tried Geico and were insured with them for 3 years. Each and every 6 months they raised our rates about $50. Each time we called we were told that unfortunately we must assume the risk for all other drivers accidents and bad driving habits. I have never had ONE accident in my life or ONE ticket and am 66 years old. My husband has the same good driver record. This last time we got our renewal they raised the premium to be $86 more each month and again we got the same song and dance. We also learned through some research that Geico had put us in a "high risk grouping" which allowed them to charge more. When confronted about this they had no explanation other than---you guessed it--they told us we needed to assume the risk for all other bad drivers on the road and their accidents.

As an aside they explained to us that with the newer cars the costs to repair have skyrocketed and all customers must assume the coverage of these costs as well. We finally understood we were being scammed and switched to another company who gave us exactly the same coverage in every area with exactly the same on/off periods for payments and all for $100 less per month!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was trying to turn left in an intersection at the moment the green arrow turned yellow. I slowed down a little as there were pedestrians crossing the intersection, when a lady from the opposite side, from rest, hit the gas pedal and hit my rear bumper, apparently a deliberate action to compensate for her already damaged car. A driver who saw everything, voluntarily stopped and gave me his name and phone as everyone saw it was a scam.

After filing a claim with GEICO, and without even contacting the witness, GEICO came to the conclusion that this is a 50/50 liability, as I shouldn't be in the intersection when the light turns green for the other vehicles. That's a reasoning of a 5 year old kid. Well, not for GEICO. A left turn is a left turn, no matter what. While still in dispute, and with a clean driving record (no tickets or violations since I got my license 22 years ago) they raised the premium by $600. Well, they just lost a customer. Switching to MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had auto insurance policy with Geico. Due to an out of the country trip, I placed my car in a commercial storage on August 13, 2018. I reported this to Geico on that day, and was told that 70% of credit in premium would be refunded. However when calling back to Geico on October 13, I was told that there was no record of storage reported in file, and that Geico's policy does not allow backdating, even with proof of storage receipt, so no credit was to be refunded, they could not even track down who the previous employee was, despite their record showing my policy was accessed on August 13. A supervisor said the same thing. This was disappointed, and was totally unfair. Geico employee screwed it up at customer's expense. Incredible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Please don't insure with this FRAUDULENT company. I have been in good standing from the beginning since I've insured with Geico and my premiums have been nothing but went up. In response to my inquiry about this NONSENSE behavior, they said it's because they raised every Geico customers premium who lived in the same area as me. And when I had gotten a dent in the rear end of my car from a collision, which Geico admitted was not my fault, they refused to have it fixed since it would take >$500, which is way less than what my premiums have covered.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Brand new customer, I was quoted $187/month, I was fine with that considering I was a new driver. I was immediately charge $289 instead of what I was told I'd be charged. Later I had discovered my auto policy had been changed without my knowledge, and this had caused the sudden rise in cost. Not even a month later they were demanding that I had not paid and wanted $367. Knowing full well I had paid I immediately switched over to Progressive. Best thing I've done. Do not use Geico, they will scam you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Got rear ended by a lady in a Ford Excursion waiting to turn left onto highway. Arrow was red. Police report filed and made recorded statement to Geico (they called 3 times and were very pushy). Long story short Geico insured said I had it in reverse and damage was minimal so no coverage says Geico agent. Do yourself a favor and do not talk directly to Geico. File police report and get an attorney immediately. This is the only way to deal with Geico to get any positive results. They prepay their attorneys and have a multimillion dollar advertising budget. David vs Goliath.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Beware of GEICO customers! I was rear-ended by a GEICO-customer three years ago and did not get a penny for the medicals I had to pay out of pocket for a Whiplash, Concussion and Post-Concussion and Headaches I’m still suffering from. In MD the claim has to be settled within 3 years - this was in my case Monday, October 1st, 2018. GEICO called me on Friday September 28, 2018 to remind me that there were still some doctor’s reports missing which needed to be uploaded to be able to settle the claim on Monday.

I did upload these documents during the weekend and received an Email on Monday from GEICO stating my documents had arrived and someone would contact me within 24h if any questions appeared. No one contacted me before I received an Email on Wednesday, October 3rd telling that the claim had been closed and I did not receive a penny. After contacting GEICO they told me that they had tried to reach me on Monday by phone and had left a voicemail message. However, I don’t have any missed calls from GEICO on October 1st and I do not even have a voicemail on my phone. This is how the GEICO makes money and ruined our families life. We lost several thousand to GEICO.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I had them ask why would a cop write two tickets. I've learnt cops profile people. My insurance is now over 300$ and Geico denies giving me insurance for having my first accident that was supposed to be my fault. They haunt you with the past. Unbelievable!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had an accident on 9/27/2018. I was at fault. I called GEICO while at the accident and they literally took care of everything. Including calling the rental car agency (who called me within twenty minutes to bring a car to me) and contacting adjusters. They were so kind and honest! I have never been treated so well by any insurance company in the 33 years I've been driving. I was so scared and shaken up by my accident and within no time at all, I knew everything was going to be okay. GEICO is amazing.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

AVOID AT ALL COSTS! I went to purchase a renter's insurance plan on their website and when it came time to check out, I entered in my credit card information and got a kickback saying there was an issue processing my payment. I thought something may have been wrong with my card so I used another card and got the same issue. I then realized that I was actually charged both times and never received an actual policy.

Through several days of phone calls and a lot of frustration, I learned that they were having this issue with many other customers as well. I kept being told to call back and was promised that I would be refunded in less than 10 business days, but here I am several weeks later with no refund. I had several people tell me they were going to call me back throughout this process, but I haven't had anyone reach out to contact me. This has been an absolute nightmare to deal with and by far the worst experience I have had with any company EVER. This is true robbery.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Used their app to report an accident in April that was not my fault. Never heard from anyone. Received my autopay bill and my insurance went up by $160/year. I called to see why and they said 2 reasons. The accident rate increased in my state and because I had an accident in April. They claimed to have called me on the phone in April and claimed I admitted to being at fault. A complete lie. I have a dashcam and had footage to prove I wasn't at fault. I asked them to provide the recorded call and they ignored my request. And on top of this lie they just raise the rate without any notification. Clearly they are just trying to slide these rate increases by the people on autopay. Shady, shady, shady. I am calling around for new insurance. They just lost me for car, camper, boat and home. A shame they need to be so greedy.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Perhaps Geico used to be a company that treated its customers well, but certainly not anymore. I have had a mostly spotless driving record for 16 years. After a minor incident in which I hit someone's bumper and a small claim was paid by Geico to the other driver, Geico raised my insurance premiums from about $900 every six months to $1900 every six months. That's $3,800 per year for one person's insurance fees. I had been a loyal Geico customer for six years. I switched to another of the major car insurance providers and got a much, much better deal. If you bundle your homeowners/renters with another major insurance provider, you can also get a discount. I cancelled both my homeowners and auto insurance with Geico yesterday -- it felt great!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We recently called Geico for an insurance quote. Gave them all the relevant information. They provided a quote saving me a substantial amount of money. We committed and paid the first premium. 7 days later, on a Friday, I canceled my old policy and then out of the blue we get an email at 7:30 pm that same day they need to speak with us right away. We called and they tell us that after "further investigation" from underwriting that they are reducing our 250/500 coverage to 100/300 and raising my monthly premium by $1000.00!! Granted our driving records were not perfect but they had all that information the day we called for our quote. Our previous agent warned of this "bait & switch" tactic and she was right! Fortunately we were able to get our previous policy reinstated but Geico was only too happy to keep half our original premium payment. Stay away from this company - no wonder they have a lizard as a mascot.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I started insuring with Geico 12 years ago. After 4 years things were good. Years 4-6 my policy had nearly doubled, I called and after nearly an hour on the phone they cut my 6 month premium nearly in half. Years 6-8 were okay I moved within this time and my premium went up 150 per 6 month period due to location of new zip code. Years 8-10 they slowly increased a little every 6 months. Years 10-12 my 6 month premium has once again doubled. I will be signing with State Farm as they are now cheaper than Geico. After being a loyal customer for 12 years and paying my premiums in full every 6 months I can't believe they treat customers like this.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I decided to purchase a policy online and it quoted me at 113 dollars monthly and I'd be charged that today. I put my card info in and it took out 276 bucks and said it updated my policy! I didn't get any notification that I would be charged more. Their customer service reps are very pushy about getting you to start the policy and that's a red flag to me! Stay away from Geico. Apparently they run a clue report, don't show you the updated charge and just charge you anyways? They should at least put this in the fine print or let you know before purchasing!?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Geico has no customer service in Spanish and does not offer a translator. Even smallest companies offer you, someone a bilingual representatives, what's this? I had an accident, no one speaks Spanish. They ask me to do a declaration and I repeat, my first language isn't English, they force me to accept the responsibility and now I have a demand??

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Perfect driving record. Never had a claim. Rates keep going up. Called to really "laid" into them. Said they were a "Class Action" waiting to happen. Was informed they will NOT extend my coverage when it comes up. Good thing though. Checked with other companies and found a policy the same as what I have now and saved 600.00 a year. Number one rated, B.S. First time they raise your rate for NO reason run... Other companies are out there.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have a 2018 vehicle, I called in for a glass claim and it took 2 weeks to schedule an appointment to get my vehicle fixed. After coming in to Safelite Autoglass they informed me that Geico had put down aftermarket windshield since it would save them money. I wanted OEM glass and they told me that it would be another week and now I'm a disappointed customer since I already wasted time coming down here thinking it was OEM glass. Nobody told me it was aftermarket. It's a brand new vehicle. I would of thought they would of given me OEM windshield. Unhappy customer here.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company is unjust. We had a file claimed against us for damage of property, and the case was thrown out in court. We did not cause the damage. Not only did they mark our permanent record for an at-fault accident, they have increased our premiums without ever letting us know what was happening. We have been loyal customers for 5 years and we did not cause the damage to the property. The company will not believe us even though the Court Justice didn't hold us liable! Do not use this company. We will be finding someone else for our auto and home insurance. You are criminals.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

0 star they deserve! Prices are high af! I chose not to do autopay. They still took money out my account! I only have liability which is $240! Mind you I was paying for gap and full coverage with liberty mutual for just $151! Wouldn't recommend anyone to get insurance with GEICO. They suck! Stay away. They need to be sued.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This is worst insurance company and they will not take care of you even at no fault claim of yours and opposite company accepting that you are not at fault. Also opting for rental coverage during insurance and paying every month for that, they will try not to provide you rental still. Very unfair practices. Choose another auto insurance if possible.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My six months due this September 2018, now my current rate increased from 753.43 to 1,070.13. We have 4 cars and 4 drivers in the family. Last 7 years, we have no ticket, excellent credit scores, we have auto pay from our bank, never late payment. So, I made called twice and spoke with customer service. They said "you have no issue which make premium rate increased?” So they scheduled manager to call me, but never receive any call as scheduled. They use to be very good insurance company, I am not sure why Geico Insurance going this route? I moved my auto policy to Progressive Insurance now and saved almost $400, and I also I just signed my to home Insurance with Progressive as well to get a big auto policy discount. Very happy with Progressive now :).

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Greedy corporate charging $20 extra for making payments. How are these thieving corporations allowed to charge people for just paying their bill and on time. Seriously how is that justified. You give me a premium which keeps going up every year despite being a good driver with no accidents and then say, "And we’re going to charge you for paying this"? But if I give them access to MY bank account it only costs $1. EVIL GREED. May it be returned to you to learn from you scum!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had an auto policy covering 3 vehicles. My daughter had an issue with DMV where they threatened to cancel her driving license if she did not pay the fine. She paid the fine and received a letter from DMV stating the issue was resolved. This was approximately 2 months prior. Geico stated they sent a letter to my address stating if they did not receive information in 10 days they would cancel the policy. Well this notice, if we received it, must have been filed with all of the other junk mail we receive. In any case the date passed and Geico cancelled not only my daughter's insurance, but all policies for our three vehicles, without any additional notifications (which they confirmed on the phone). I was without insurance for 11 days before I received a letter from the DMV. The DMV in SC charges a $5 per day for each vehicle without insurance from the date of non-insurance (totaling $165).

I requested a letter from Geico stating the fact that I only received a single notification before policy was cancelled, and they did not send any further notification that my policy was cancelled, so I can use this convince the DMV that I should not be charged the penalty. This is the worst policy I have ever heard!!! Even if they sent me a letter stating they were going to cancel my insurance, they should have notified me when they actually cancelled the policy. This should be the Law!!! It took three calls and more than an one hour of my time before I could get a manager.

Geico's customer service rep and manager refused to send a letter or email stating the facts. In addition, after renewing my policy (so I would have coverage over the weekend) Geico stated my policy rate was going up $50/mo. Total of $300/per 6 mo policy. The Geico rep and manager refused to give me my prior rate. Needless to say I am cancelling all of my policies, and will never use Geico again for any purpose. My family was without insurance for 11 days, had anyone been in an accident we could have lost everything!!! Geico Sucks.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Be prepared to be ripped off!!! I contacted the Department of Insurance regarding Geico’s fraudulent methods in handling claims and they encouraged me to sue them in court! Get ready to cry many tears when receiving your claim check that will only cover 25% of your damage costs!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought a brand new car with a bumper to upper warranty. I came to find out 5 months later that they tacked on additional coverage that I did not ask for nor would ever need with a full warranty on my brand new car. It amounted to over 300.00! GEICO reps refused to fix the error saying that this was part of their full coverage package and basically it was my fault for not cancelling it even though I never asked for it, and was never told about it and it's my fault for not reading my emails. Since when is it ok to charge someone for a product that they didn't know about or ever want!? Bottom line for GEICO is the customer is never right and keep on scamming customers as long as you can.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

GEICO is just NOT an insurance company, it's more than that. For me GEICO is my family. They always took care of me so cordially and efficiently, whenever I got into any auto accident. Recently, I had severe NO FAULT AUTO ACCIDENT. My car was totaled. But GEICO made my claim so easy and quick. Their customer service is so friendly and respectful to their customers. Their employees are very knowledgeable. In a word, GEICO IS THE BEST.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My wife was involved in an accident in October 2017, the other driver caused the accident (rear ended my wife's minivan because he was on the phone looking for an address). The driver admitted to Geico that he caused the accident. My wife was taken to the hospital via ambulance; Geico denied the claim and are telling us that the accident did not happen and will not pay ANY damages. In the meantime my wife still under treatment for neck and shoulder pain, we have MRI that shows nerve damage and she might need surgery. Geico's customer service is the worse. They are totally refusing to do anything about these issues. I understand that Geico wants to make profit but they also need to be responsible for paying for damages caused by their insurers. I can only pray and hope that this company goes bankrupt someday so they will not profit from corrupt and greedy practices.

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. Today, the company operates their business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if they take a while to decide how to act.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky