Fast Free Quotes

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5
Based on 2,781 ratings submitted in the last year

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance, and you may get a discount from combining policies with them. GEICO is not an InsuraMatch partner. You can get quotes from multiple insurers and find the right one for you by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

GEICO sells auto insurance along with home, renters and motorcycle insurance. Positive reviews highlight the company’s customer service and low rates. As a direct provider, GEICO can offer lower rates than many of its competitors.

PROS

• Simple online quote process
  • Competitive rates
  • Mobile app
  • Fast claims processing

CONS

• Low credit score can increase premiums in some states
  • No discounts for hybrid/electric

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

GEICO Reviews

Original review: March 1, 2020

As I was driving, I saw my tire pressure light come on. I attempted to put air in the tire but it just kept leaking out. I called my car company first and they were going to tow me but that is not what I wanted. I then called Geico and do you know that the first question they asked was "are you in a safe location?" Now, if that does not make me want to brag about Geico, I do not know what will. Any company who worries about their clients (customers) is a company that I will continue to do business with. I was told that the assistance would arrive in about an hour but the driver called right away and was there in about five minutes. The driver was a pleasure to work with and the entire experience was wonderful. If I have to be stuck on the road, I am happy to have Geico on my side.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I was in collision on January 2019 which was not my fault. I could not on my own make opposite party insurance pay for damage to my car. Geico promised to pay for all car repair per my insurance policy and file claim for the cost from opposite party. It took a while and I got disheartened thinking Geico is not going to help so I went with other car insurance. But even I was not with Geico any longer, they got refund from opposite party and refunded my portion. I feel like to go back to Geico as they stood for me long after I left. They also have super customer care service who have knowledge and compassion. One of the best insurance company in USA. I highly recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My wife and I have used GEICO for a few years and honestly the best insurance is insurance that you don't have to use. Unfortunately we have had to use Geico more in the last couple of years that we've used in 30 years prior. We have NEVER had any issues, My latest wasn't necessarily an accident but an Auto issue. The dealer claimed that several insurance companies handle these claims and some (like State Farm) either do not or they are so hard to work with that they aren't worth it. Geico was nothing but curious, polite, and helpful. They did exactly what they said they would do on time and all was good. I may be cancelled by Geico because of my latest mishap, (I hope not), but they have been great.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been with Geico for 3 years and have never had any issues. I have never had long wait times and their monthly cost as well as coverage seems pretty good. I have 2 vehicles, both with a $250 deductible and pay $110 a month. They do have small monthly payment increases every 6 months, but once you hit year 3, they give you a discount on your monthly cost which is nice. They always have gotten back to me timely on all claims and contacted the bank where I had my load to send a check when my vehicle was totaled. They don't provide renter's insurance, but will set you up with Liberty Mutual in which both of your policies can be managed with a Geico representative for great convenience.

Original review: June 17, 2019

GEICO insured me when no one else would seeing I was a service member returning from overseas assignments. That was 25+ years ago. Over the years, GEICO has been responsive to my needs and has provided excellent personalized service. Once I had hail damage to my vehicle. The next day, GEICO had an insurance adjuster come to assess the damage. He came to my work parking lot to make it easier for me! I received the check for the damage quickly. My rates are very competitive and I might go so far as to say unbeatable. I occasionally get quotes from other insurers and they can’t beat the cost of my coverage with GEICO. My children have also spun off of my policy into their own GEICO policies. They have received comprehensive policies at excellent prices too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: April 3, 2020

We originally picked Geico to save but unfortunately, someone hit us. This person hitting us caused our rates to double. After my policy was done I went to cancel it. I have a new insurance company and they even sent a letter over to stop my policy. Still on April 1st during the covid-19 madness they took $729 out of my bank account and are telling me it will be 10 days until that gets returned. $729 is a lot of freaking money! Especially being taken out by mistake so I have to hope that no other mistakes happen or I am financially screwed. Thanks Geico!

Original review: March 30, 2020

I have been a customer of Geico since 2008. I have liability only on 2 old vehicles. My six month bill has just gone up $357.70. That's $715.40 increase for the year. I haven't had a car accident in over 22 years and never with Geico so I called them to see if maybe this was a mistake. She told me that I could reduce the amount some by taking a driving course (I'm already listed as a safe driver and get a discount for that), and I could take out renter's insurance, and they could reduce my car insurance a little that way. I asked why was my insurance going up so substantially. Get this. She said that medical expenses are going up because of COVID-19, and that I would have to help defray that expense. Goodbye, Geico, even your Gecko has now lost his charm.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My husband's auto insurance rate increased drastically in one month and he was not notified. He then had to promptly find another insurance company with a lower rate and bailed out of Geico. It was horrible service!

Original review: March 18, 2020

GEICO USES ** INTERROGATION TACTICS TO EXTRACT INFO FROM YOU! They are very rude and abusive in the way they do business. I was coming out of a Sizzler parking lot around Jan 19th, 2020, when this kid on a bike just comes out of nowhere and hits my car on the right front fender. Skateboarders are already in the lot skating deliberately in and out of the traffic in the lot. They know better. They know the risks, and yet they defiantly do it anyway. I heard the kid's dad say "That's why I told you to wear a helmet." The kid's actions at that point tells me he doesn't listen to anyone and just does what he wants.

The guy tried to accuse me of speeding simply because I had an Uber sticker in my window. The parents were not even there when this incident occurred. I had the best seat in the house, right up front. An old man behind me said he saw the whole thing and yet, there is no video proof. The guy looked around 80 yrs old so I don't put a whole lot of faith in how good his eyesight is. There were no citations given to either of us. Wouldn't this be considered no fault? After reading many many reviews on Geico, I'm learning that they take accidents and turn them into something they're really not in order to raise your rates. All that happened from my incident is the kid wound up with a bent rim. No damage to my car at all. The kid was walking and moving around just fine immediately following the accident.

Now, Geico is allegedly waiting to hear back from doctor to finish with the claim. Geico told me that by law, the medical report could take up to 2 years. It shouldn't take more than a day or 2. Since Geico and I didn't get along well over the phone, I have suspicions that they are just retaliating against me because I wasn't buying into their bs. And because of this total fraudulent claim, I'm forced to do my own investigating. You can't trust an investigator that works for Geico. Are you kidding me? Geico's job is to make money, no matter how they have to do it, even if it means manipulating your insurance premiums. They do it all the time and they are doing it to my wife and I now. Their lies are going to put me out of work since I drive for a living. These guys are dirty dirty dirty. STAY AWAY FROM GEICO!!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

I bought insurance and saved until I had an accident then they doubled my rate. Never had an accident in my life, I am 58 and a ticket 13 years ago. So I think doubling my rate was extreme. Cancelled it and guess what they charge 52 dollars to do that. I was so angry. Please do not purchase insurance with Geico or you will learn the hard way.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

GEICO expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1926, GEICO is one of America's oldest and largest full-service insurance companies. The company operates its business out of the corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C, and they have insured more than 22 million vehicles to date.

• Fast quotes: GEICO can give drivers seeking auto insurance a quote for their insurance policy in less than 15 minutes.

• Quote storage: Once customers receive their quote, GEICO stores the information for 90 days, so customers don't have to start over if their decision takes time.

• 24-Hour customer service: The company has representatives available to help customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Discounts offered: GEICO offers customers discounts on auto insurance, including discounts for customer loyalty, driver's education, vehicle equipment additions and more.

• Customer service satisfaction: The company is known for providing customers with excellent customer service, and they received the 2014 J.D. Power award for Highest Customer Satisfaction Among Auto Insurers.

• Best for: New drivers, people who just purchased a car and parents who drive children in their cars.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor