3.8/5 (1897 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: July 25, 2022

My wife and I have been with Geico for almost 30 years and she told me that Geico was increasing our premium by $70 a month ($840.00 annually). She couldn’t give me an explanation and we have had no accidents, tickets or claims within the past 5 years, so I called them today (25 July 2022 @ 1:39 PM EST). After I finally got thru to an agent, I said that I wanted to know why my rate went up $70 a month. After several minutes, she came back to me and said “you’ve done nothing wrong, it’s just that they have paid a lot more claims in Florida lately”. I said, "Think about what you just told me and ask yourself if that is right? So I am being penalized for all the poor drivers and the claims that your company has paid out and you're gonna raise my rates so that the executives can get their year end bonuses."

Insurance companies, in my opinion, have become a complete screwing over of the public. You pay premiums for protection and when you need them, they fight you tooth and nail of the very thing you pay premiums for. The same goes for any insurance you have, it’s ridiculous. I can’t go get another insurance because my premiums would, I’m assuming, be a lot higher because I’ve been with Geico so long. Thanks Geico for turning on one of your most loyal customers.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Scott **, an auto damage adjuster, fought me on an $11 payout when I paid GEICO to get payouts for accidents – and I was in an accident. After I got off the phone with him where he fought me, I was incredulous. And I still am. ** also said he would make the payout and then I didn't hear from him from a relative while. It was when I called to follow up that ** then fought me. **’s behavior was the last straw among many issues with GEICO that resulted in me switching to a new company for auto insurance. GEICO customer service also hung up on me and I don’t understand why.

Original review: June 21, 2022

I have purchased GEICO insurance on 02/26/2022 - 08/26/2022 for 6 months $1,692.13. I found out that my Front windshield (OEM) cracked by itself. I filed a claim for it online using Geico Mobile App on my phone. When I arrived there at the Safelite, Desk the installer told me that Geico might not cover for OEM. I asked Why? I have 100 deductibility comprehensive. I found out that SAFELITE makes HONDA aftermarket and they promoting their business. They are the ones that does Geico billing (approve or disapprove claims based on Geico customer agent on phone told me. If there is aftermarket available we are going use that because it's cheaper. OEM will cost you difference and I need to pay from my pocket and including 100 dollars deductibility. I'm very angry about this because what's of the point of being covered by the insurance if at the end of being difficult situation end up not being covered.

OEM and aftermarket glass are different because they might have passed the USA DOT but that doesn't mean they are the same quality as the manufacturer. Honda does not make their AUTO Glass but it's up to Honda standards to be built on/approved. $1,474.76 dollars for SAFELITE OEM Glass. Geico $889.44 is covering only about 60.81 percent of the cost. New York the insurance covers up your windshield for Free.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I was satisfied with GEICO insurance in Texas, however since moving to Nevada the customer service is non-existent. I bought my car from a dealer for the guarantees and full inspection reports to ensure everything was in working condition. The claims adjuster, Joshua ** refused to return claims calls and gave me the run around for months! He said he did not believe my car aircon was working before the accident. He is very unprofessional and rude! I offered to show the full inspection report when I bought the car, he chose instead to avoid all my calls! A Geico customer SLAMMED into my car and crushed the back of my car and knocked out the air conditioning simultaneously. I reported these damages and took photos and immediately uploaded into Geico's system. I was told the repair shop would follow up with Joshua ** to report all the damages.

The Geico claims adjuster, Joshua, took himself out of the equation and made the repair shop my primary contact through the whole repair process. When I went to pick up my car, there was an additional over $800 not covered because the claims adjuster refused to authorize the expense. This whole experience has been a nightmare. There is no rewards for being a loyal Geico customer for years. My rewards was being gaslighted by Joshua ** and being cheated. The customer service for Geico is now non-existent, everything is virtual and there is no physical locations any more, so no one is willing to help resolve claims fairly. They only ignore victims.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I have had auto insurance with Geico for over 7 years. Each year my car gets older and so do I. I have no tickets, citations, or accidents. I have two cars on my policy. My first car is in storage 360 days of the year and comes out only to be serviced. My second car is a 2008 Toyota Prius (paid in full) Without any cause or reason, Geico just increased my policy by $60+ dollars. When I called Geico, I was put on hold for a supervisor, who reached out to underwriting because he could not give me a valid reason. The supervisor came back to the line and apologized but unfortunately all he could offer me was to try to upsell me a homeowners policy.

Needless to say, I am very unhappy with Geico and their ability to price gouge policy holders in this unprecedented time of higher fuel cost, groceries, utilities, etc. without any rhythm or reason. They also sell a emergency roadside assistance that charges a claim against your policy if or when you have to use, and it only follows the car not the driver. Great Job Geico, Of Losing Customers!

Original review: June 6, 2022

GEICO report's roadside assistance calls as insurance claims to LexisNexis that will show up on your CLUE report for the next seven years and will raise your premiums. I used the service once for a flat tire and I am now being penalized for the next seven years because my car jack was broken. I couldn't find a statement anywhere in my policy let alone the description for the roadside assistance service when you opt to add it to your insurance. This should be BOLDLY stated so everyone is well aware that using roadside assistance even one time can and will adversely affect the price of your insurance for at least the next 7 years! So consumer BEWARE!!!

Original review: June 3, 2022

Was a member for years then I tried another for a couple months. I switched back and asked for my old policy. They said yes and I paid 6 months in advance. I told them I still didn't want uninsured motorist and they agreed. Nothing more was said that I needed to do. Month later I get a bill for 61 dollars for uninsured motorist. I called and they said I had to sign something saying I didn't want it or else they would charge me. At this point I'm mad and thinking, "How can they get away with this?" This is fraud and against the law.

I called and the girl said it was a mistake and would take the charges off. She then sent me this form I was never told about to sign. So I did. I then got another statement. I called and spoke to a manager and she said she couldn't help me. They have no recording of our conversation or proof they told me this or an email. But they think it's legal to charge me for something I didn't sign up for.

Original review: May 27, 2022

This company will lead you to believe you have certain coverages and discounts only for you to later find that, they left certain needed coverages off. If you don’t catch it and go to dispute it, they will state that you never asked for it and, they do not keep recordings past 30 days. In the event that something happens to you causing you to need those coverages, they will not take accountability. Instead, they will deny, leave you to blame and state that they can’t locate the recordings. This happened to me and a another family member. I’m sure that there has been others that has fell victim to these deceitful practices. In retrospect, you’re not getting as much of a discount as they make it seems because they are leaving coverages off. If you do decide to go with this company, please review your declaration pages. They will also take you through marathons if you go to complain. They’ll lead you to believe that a case is being opened for resolution.

Once you follow up on your case, you will find that nothing is being or will be done. A Supervisor told me outright that they would not waste anymore of my time because; the Supervisors will back the Agents and that, there’s no need of me speaking with a Manager because they will back the Supervisors. This is a warning to steer clear of this company. By the time you realize that you’re being ripped off, it’s too late and Customer Service is not their priority.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Rashawnda was absolutely the best. She was so patient with me as I was her and she explained everything so well to my understanding. She was able to give me answers to exactly what I needed, very helpful.

Original review: May 21, 2022

We had three vehicles on their policy and when we added our child to the policy the rates shot up 4x. When asked why our child was on all 3 cars and that only 1 car should be covered for our child they said that they don't break up policies by vehicle and recommended that I split the policies to reflect only one car for our child. I agreed and when they did it they removed collision coverage which I never asked for and they never proved that I had requested it. Sure enough, there was an accident but since there was no collision coverage Geico said they would do nothing. I asked why they said that I had removed collision coverage by not looking at the fine print when they sent me the other policy. I never received the policy by email and the letter they sent got shuffled with the rest of junk mail.

Beware of changes made to your policy w/o you doing anything. Even though I asked for evidence that I removed collision coverage they could not do it because it never happened. I said to go back to the recording of the call and isn't that odd that they couldn't seem to find it??? So I'm left with a totaled car with zero help. I had to call 9 times over the course of 5 weeks. I spent so many hours on hold and speaking to so many reps saying the same thing with zero help or even empathy. No one even asked me if my child was hurt. Talk about salt in the wound. Have some level of human decency Geico. I asked what I was paying $1600 for and they couldn't even give me an answer! Worst company with zero ethics.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Geico was a big flop during a recent incident where my vehicle was damaged. Their customer service was flat, interrogative (even for being a victim) and shady. Geico’s ‘supervisory’ level provided amazing political spin and false information. Several weeks after the incident my vehicle is still not fixed, my rates went up 50% (even for being a victim) and every statement Geico made was a lie including “we got your back”, and “you pay us to protect you”. If you want good conversation even if it’s **, contact Ethan at Geico **. The less your insurance company knows, the safer YOU are...

Original review: May 12, 2022

I have never had an accident and never used my Geico car insurance for the past 25 years until I needed it recently and not only they don't reimburse you fully they barely cover anything and I had full coverage and paid for one full coverage too. In return so many limitations come out as a result that it's unbelievable. I will no longer stay with Geico and make sure my friends and family are aware of how horrible they are too. Very disappointed in their coverage and services. Don't get tricked by their big name, it's all false advertisement. Read the Yelp reviews and you realize what you're up against, I wish I did that when I signed up with them!

Original review: April 26, 2022

Geico took two payments for my motorcycle policies. The second payment was not due at the time. After they took the second payment, they canceled the insurance policy retroactive to a week prior to the first payment being taken. They have yet to return the money took. I discovered by accident that I had no coverage on my motorcycles for 11 days. I was forced to buy a policy immediately to maintain coverage and vehicle registration and they charged me an extra hundred bucks for the policy. I presume this is because I am now a NEW customer. They have not returned the money they took from my account. They said they would review and get my money back to me. That has not happened. GEICO does not seem to care. I am getter quotes from other Ins carriers now. I will no longer be loyal to GEICO.

Original review: April 23, 2022

First of all, you get connected to a computer, which puts you in an endless loop, when you rarely get to talk to someone. They are only open during the week as well. They cancelled my policy for no reason. I called the sponsored insurance company and Geico. Neither could give a reason. They also notified my mortgage falsely stating that my mortgage had already been cancelled when in fact that was not true. When I confronted Geico's agent, she stated that the "back office would figure it out."

Original review: April 7, 2022

In December, a teenager ran into my parked vehicle. We exchanged insurance information. I contacted his insurance company, Geico, after calling multiple times and waiting for hours to speak with a person. Several calls were over a 3 hour wait time. 2 1/2 weeks later, my claim was closed because Geico couldn't contact the policy holder. I have been told they will not pay out unless the policy holder can confirm this took place. Almost 4 months later, I called for an update and was told this was closed the first part of January and no more action will be taken.

Original review: April 3, 2022

For over 10 years, my wife and I had our autos insured by Geico and had the unfortunate experience of having to file multiple claims for damages to my vehicle due to accidents - NONE of which were my fault. On two separate occasions, I was rear-ended by other drivers. Geico agreed that the other driver was at fault but the other driver claimed that I "cut them off" (but THEY were cited, not me) and, just like that, that was the end of it. No investigation at all. Geico paid for my damages -- between $4K and $5K for each occurrence (and, of course, MY premium increased..). After these instances where Geico just "rolled over", I installed dash cams in ALL of our vehicles, determined that this kind of ** wouldn't happen again and, about two weeks ago, I made changes to our policy (increasing Coverage Limits, reducing our deductible and adding Roadside Assistance and Rental).

A few days later, hit an animal on my way to work, damaging my front bumper. Once I got to work, I took plenty of photos and filed a claim on the Geico app, attaching the photos to the claim. A few hours later, I received a call from the Claims Dept. to advise me that, because I had recently made changes to the policy, they would need to INVESTIGATE the details of the incident. I advised that I had dashcam video so this should be a no-brainer. I obtained the phone number of the adjuster and called to get the process started. The adjuster requested specific photos, which I provided within minutes and, several hours later, the adjuster had emailed a repair estimate of $995. Surely, this would be handled without much of a fuss but, Geico proved me wrong again.

The next day, a Geico claims "investigator" called to take a recorded statement about the details of the incident and the circumstances of the coverage changes and, after completing the statement, was told that I would need to sign an "authorization form" to have an investigator "scan" my vehicle's data recorder and, if any falsification was detected, they would be "bound by law" to report to the state police for prosecution! REALLY!!?? I get rear-ended and Geico just "rolls over and plays dead" with no interest in proving that the other drivers were lying (and then paid thousands of dollars in damages to my car). I have a comp claim (that would have cost them $495. after my $500 deductible ) and they were treating me like a criminal!!! I've got a news flash for you Geico, you're not the only insurance company out there and, after 10 years, I got a better premium for better coverage so, the Geico gecko and the worthless Claims Dept. can Kiss My **!

Original review: March 29, 2022

Do not do business with Geico. I had a slight accident and the other person and I decided to pay out of pocket. $357 damage to a bumper. Geico would not let me cancel the claim and used it to raise my rates. I ended up paying the $357 to the other driver and then Geico raised my rates even though they paid nothing and both people told them there was no claim. During the whole process with Geico I was treated like I was lying and cheating and that was never true. Multiple Geico people contacted me about the same issue and they obviously don’t talk to one another. During the whole process the only unreasonable people were those working for Geico...and no one ever asked them for any money and they paid nothing.

Original review: March 24, 2022

As a customer for 30 plus years, it is disappointing and eye opening that when I needed assistance, Geico was not there for me. Following an accident that was not my fault, Geico offered little to no assistance to me in solving the problems caused by this other driver. Aside from calling in a rental car and checking with the body shop, they did nothing. I had to do it all myself. The other driver claimed they were not at fault, but were proven by me they were, Geico offered me no assistance in disproving or even filing a claim with the other driver's insurance. Granted we are in the time of Covid, but that should have stopped them from filing the claim, speaking to the other side's agent or even attempting to offer me advice. They were happy to let me foot the bill under their no fault we don't care policy.

Original review: March 22, 2022

My mom passed and after we sold her house Geico would only refund remaining year coverage with a check to her. I explained that her estate was closed and there was no way to cash check in her name. They said it was their policy to only reimburse the policyholder. After several referrals to their review team, they decided to keep the money for services not provided. Over $400. Thieves!!

Original review: March 18, 2022

Way too much mail being sent, when I did the math the most cash that can be used was 1000+, not a lot given how long paying on said policy, I also have stocks, bitcoin and retirement account that needs management, wish Geico could be a one stop shopping for my portfolio as well as insurance needs! So yes still keeping the current policy but making changes, going forward.

Original review: March 17, 2022

In August of 2021, I got in an accident and paid my deductible to get my car fixed, I was sent to a trusted Geico shop and they had my car for a month. After receiving my car back there were numerous issues wrong with the vehicle that collision center failed to fix as well as parts missing or not properly working. I called Geico to let them know and was told to take the vehicle to another shop to do a rework, took the vehicle to a shop in December was told it would take a couple of months to get it in due to the pandemic and parts/labor being on backorder, totally understandable. I was then contacted in mid-March to be told that the new collision center denied the rework because it was too much of a fuss.

Rep form Geico told me then to find a shop on my own that would take the rework, I am not a mechanic nor do I have time to spend my day taking the vehicle to get looked at to see if another shop would even consider accepting the rework. I believe Geico is passing blame and taking no responsibility in this, I am driving around with nonworking blinkers and headlights, windshield wipers not working. Its a mess, Geico is having horrible customer service, it is now going on 6 months since my accident. I would not choose Geico and will more than likely switch companies mind you I have been a client for over 13 years, disappointing.

Original review: March 16, 2022

GEICO denies coverage for total loss from theft of my insured 2012 Audi Q5 on March 12, 2022. GEICO claims coverage for theft was not purchased at time I purchased Audi despite lien holder Chase Bank in the written contract required auto coverage, including comprehensive and deductible collision coverage, that GEICO confirmed during sale and made part thereof. The lien holder Chase Bank required coverage. GEICO confirmed coverage for the Audi from the sales office during the purchase and provided the insurance contract number which was part of the sales contract. The lien holder was recently paid off and the car was stolen. GEICO now denies coverage.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Customer service hung up twice on me and did not call me back. When I call back nobody knows what the last rep said to me and keep transferring me to different departments. Took 15 days for a refund check to arrive and when I tried to bank it they had issued a cancellation. I will probably have to wait another 15 days.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Backing out of my driveway I assumed I tapped The neighbor’s parked vehicle. However no damage was done to my vehicle and the vehicle involved had smudge marks. Obviously preexisting. However I was deemed at fault. I took pictures of both vehicles to prove my innocence that I did not make the marks to said vehicle. Geico handled the situation very poorly in my opinion and never came out to do any inspection. My husband has been with Geico for 13 years and now is dropping them due to this decision of the other party filing the claim and being awarded for damages that were not from my vehicle. I have pictures of proof. Geico should have done a better job in my opinion when assessing damage and whether I had actually hit the vehicle in question.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I have been working remotely for two years because of the pandemic. GEICO refused to return a penny to me from my premiums even though the risk was reduced dramatically. I literally was driving only a few miles each week and that was to the grocery store and back home. I'm aware that a few states have forced auto insurance companies like Geico to return some portion of the premium to account for reduced risk but the state I am in did not. Now, my premium has gone up substantially even though I'm still working remotely and my driving record has remained stellar. Now that is what has irked me. I barely drive and my premiums have still almost doubled. Per Geico it's because the cost of parts have risen.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Had an accident on January 4, 2022. The claim has been handled very poorly. I can't get anyone to call me back. I have left several messages for multiple people and no one has called me back to attempt to explain this process to me. My car is at the collision center and has not been fixed. Geico has the worst customer service ever. At this point, I am thinking about getting an attorney to help with this property damage claim. People, please go elsewhere. My clams team consists of:

Melissa **
Sarah **
Alyce **

Michael **

None of these people have attempted to call me back. This is the worst service I have ever received. I will be switching insurance companies within the week.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I have been insured with GEICO FOR OVER 15 YEARS. I took two vehicles off my auto insurance policy and my premium increased by 50%. That's in spite of still having 2 cars, a motorcycle and my house insurance with them. To say I am upset is an understanding. I am removing all insurance from GEICO.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I have had Geico since 2006. In Nov. of 2021 I had my first and only claim with them. Yes my fault. Fender bender in a parking lot. The repairs to the other car were under $1500 and it was a 2019 Chevy. I did my own repair with a touch up paint. Geigo sent me a bill. They raised my rates for 1 car full coverage and 1 car liability another $3600 a year and ignored my accident forgiveness status. My payments went from $67 a month to $369 a month. I am on a fixed income and they ignored all requests for an explanation. I ended up getting liability on principal car for $50 a month with State Farm (Geico wanted $147.) and I sold the extra car because I could not longer afford insurance on both of them. Never ever will go back to this awful company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

A tree fell on my car in October of 2021. I made a claim and Geico sent a quote for the repair. I brought the car in to a reputable auto body shop. The shop performed repairs that well exceeded Geico's quote which I am told is normal. Now Geico is ghosting the auto body shop, and the shop does not want to give me my car back until they are paid for the work they did. Emails and calls in to Geico and I am told a manager will call me back. Ghosted. It is now February of 2022 and I am still waiting on Geico to pay for the work. My car has been completed for weeks and is being held hostage. Making my car loan payments on a car that I do not even have.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Great commercials are the only positive from GEICO these days. After 33 years, I left GEICO on the "three strikes and you're out" rule. First, GEICO wouldn't offer the limits I needed. When my insurance agent went to look for alternatives in 2022, he found that there was a rental car reimbursement claim still open from 2017. It was closed immediately after my inquiry, but it shouldn't take my call (with an extra long wait time, of course) for GEICO to be monitoring their own claim files. Then a neighbor--also a GEICO policyholder--hit my mailbox and demolished it. It took GEICO two months to pay the $238 claim. Finally, to add insult to injury, despite my clearly providing these reasons for leaving, GEICO hit me with a short rate cancellation penalty when my insurance agent found a better alternative.

GEICO Company Information