2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.6/5 (102 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About GEICO

GEICO sells auto, home, renters and motorcycle insurance. It has several discount options, including for those who combine its coverage policies. As a direct provider, it can offer lower auto insurance rates than many of its competitors. Policyholders can manage their coverage online or through the company’s mobile app.

Pros

• Affordable policies
  • Several discount options
  • Intuitive website and app

Cons

• Can be pricey for high-risk drivers
  • Few local agents

Bottom Line

GEICO is one of the largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. It has affordable prices, several discount options and an app for policy management. However, it doesn’t employ many local agents.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

GEICO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Wish I could give 0 stars! Had a hail storm in April that damaged my house. After filing a claim and getting approved, the roofer found additional damage and filed a supplemental claim. After several days of them hearing nothing from Geico, I tried reaching out and couldn't get anyone to help either. Finally, I found out that my field adjuster had been reassigned and a new one assigned to my claim. How do you reassign adjusters and not tell the client that has an existing claim? Further, as the newly assigned adjuster, how do you not reach out and explain that you're the new adjuster.

Long story short, it took 7 months to replace the roof because of their games. To top it off, a few days after that storm, another struck and damaged my truck. Now Geico is accusing me of lying and asking why I waited so long to file that claim and I explained it's because I spent the last 6 months handling the roof claim and didn't want to deal with my truck at the same time after seeing how unorganized Geico is. Now my auto claim is under investigation and the shop is just letting my truck sit until Geico approves the repairs. I CANNOT wait for my car to get repaired so that I can end my car and home insurance policies with Geico. THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

On 9/22/2021 I made a payment to GEICO for my auto policy with a direct debit from my checking account in the amount of 824.00. On 9/23/2021 I received an email confirming receipt of payment however the email stated I paid with a credit card ending in 5768 not my checking account. I called customer service to ask if this was correct and the representative stated he had never seen that before and cancelled the payment without doing any research as to whether it was my payment. Turns out it is reported that way because my bank works with a third party vendor who does their bill pay and that's how transactions flow through. The following day after speaking with my bank I realized that was in fact my payment. I called Geico again. Explained they made an error and wanted to know how to get my policy credited. They said the money will be sent back to my bank and I should contact them.

I contacted my bank and they indicated they had confirmed Geico received it. After 2 hours on the phone with a rep and supervisor they send the information to their finance department. Finance called me back, left me a voice mail and said it was sent back to my bank. I called the following day. Spoke with yet another rep to verify if it was sent back and when I could expect my bank to receive it and he said Geico never received it, and that my bank has it. My bank sent them the confirmation transmission record after yet another call. I called Geico to explain what they will be getting and spoke with another rep and his supervisor. In short I still have no idea when my premium is and my policy is up for cancellation and Geico will do nothing to ensure it doesn't get cancelled, even though their rep that I first contacted caused the problem. I don't have an additional 824.00 to send them right now,

Geico customer service is acceptable for simple issues and the representatives were friendly and professional and of course apologized for any inconvenience, which is nothing more than a condescending platitude. The biggest issue is not being able to speak with the original person or solution provider. all you can do is contact the generic customer service number, have the person read the notes, which are often inaccurate and then have to explain the whole thing over and over again. This is just extremely poor treatment of a customer who has numerous policies and if they just have one. Try contacting their corporate office sometime. These people will not be able to be contacted unless you hire a PI to find a phone number. They refer you to customer service,

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I was with GEICO for years. I had a minor fender bender that cost them just over $1,000 and they tripled my insurance rates. Needless to say I was shocked. It was the only accident I had ever had in my 60 years of driving.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I have been a Geico customer for over 7 years. Recently I made changes to my policy that required me to get off auto pay. When my payment was not automatically taken out, Geico cancelled me with little to no warning causing me to have to pay almost $500 to get my policy reinstated. This company bleeds the working man. All those years with this company and they treat me with little to no regard. Worst experience of my life. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Just like any other Auto Insurance Business, this Company, so far has been ok for the time being when it only comes down to Car Insurance. I have yet to have to contact them for any collisions and repairs, so I cannot speak on any major interaction or service requests for vehicle damages. I will say they have, so far kept their word when it boils down to either raising your rates or lowering them and even keeping them the same. I've been with Geico now for nearly 3 plus years and haven't had any price hikes or issues with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

We had to have the windshield replaced on our 2020 Acura MDX. Originally GEICO told me they would reimburse me the full cost, minus the deductible, to have the dealership replace the glass. When I submitted the invoice for reimbursement, they went back on what they originally said, and told me that they don't pay for the real Acura windshield, and instead I should have put knock-off brand glass on the car. They also wouldn't pay the full price of the dealer installation (even though they originally told me they would), and instead I should have gone to a third party installer, who isn't even certified to recalibrate the safety features.

If the camera is recalibrated by the people who Geico wanted me to have this work done by, and who aren't certified to do it, it would lower the safety level of the car and defeat the purpose of having all these safety features to begin with. Why does Geico want to make my family car less safe? Now, because they went back on what they originally said, and because they want to make my car less safe with off-brand glass and uncertified recalibration of safety features, I'm having to pay $1200 out of pocket for the windshield, instead of the $500 deductible they originally told me I'd have to pay. This is ridiculous and I will be looking elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Never get a GEICO Commercial insurance for your vehicles. One of our drivers got a speeding ticket during a personal vacation in a rental car. And GEICO sent us a letter saying they were cancelling our business insurance! For 1 speeding ticket! I called and told GEICO we were having the driver take a class so the points would be off his license. And if they would reconsider afterwards, the answer was a No because they only run a license check once a year and they already had done that. Then they said I should consider one of their partners that I can get but I would have to download an app so they can monitor my drivers and their speeding habits to get insurance. Are you kidding me! You want to monitor my employee's whereabouts to give me insurance! STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

On September 8th at 11:46 AM. I called Geico to request an extension because my insurance was due to cancelation on September 10th and I was furloughed due to covid 19 since May 2nd. And just went back to work on September 2nd. I explained all this to AGENT FLANERY who after few minutes told me "it went successfully, you have an extension for 14 days. But make sure you make the payment on September 15th as you promised." I was so thankful I asked her name so that I can thank her properly...

I called on the 15th to make a payment and found out my insurance has been canceled. There were no extension, her supervisor talked to her and said the call was not recorded and she denied it...I am still devastated...I had to pay $441 for a new policy and I got Maryland flag for insurance laps I need to pay before renewing my registration next week. I pray karma will hit agent flanery so hard, she will learn a lesson that how her lie, and not doing her job has cost me money and caused me stress. I am still very upset and angry. If I had the money I would hire a lawyer who can get the recorded call from my phone company and expose her lie and lack of honesty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

My experience with GEICO was very disappointing. They very accommodating when they are trying to get your business. Once you sign up With them they begin “to boil the frog” and raise the price just like the cable company. Very deceitful. Sad.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

After being in a terrifying car accident where I was hit by a dump truck, GEICO doubled my monthly insurance. This accident could have killed me, my car was totaled, and this was Geico's response...to punish me by raising my rates and calling me a "high risk" to insure. Mind you, the dump truck driver that hit me was ticketed by the police for improper backing, I am in the middle of a lawsuit, I had to purchase a new car since mine was totaled, my lower back and neck were injured and I have had to take a couple of hours every day off of work due to countless doctor visits, chiropractor appointments, and physical therapy to try and get back to life as normal.

I am in pain all the time, and Geico just simply blames me and raises my rates. I couldn't be more disappointed with a company that touts itself as a company the supports the military and government employees in this country. My husband is active duty, I am a Veteran, and now I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs. I would absolutely never do business with a company like this ever again. When I called to cancel my policy with Geico, the customer service representative couldn't have cared less, didn't express any concern nor even attempt to keep my business. This company clearly does not care about its policyholders.

GEICO Company Information