Call toll free*
Based on 245 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: May 4, 2018

258 Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 4, 2018

If I could give a negative rating I would. My wife was rear ended 12/1/2017 by a Farm Bureau customer. The accident pushed our car in to a bigger truck which then totaled the front end of my vehicle. Long story short my car was totaled. I lost my shirt on the transaction. Darin ** (agent) wouldn’t consider the the brand new tires, updated electronic system etc. Needless to say it took a considerable amount of money to get the same quality vehicle. The communication with the agent has been one sided totally. All done by me. The only time he would call is when I was considering settling.

My wife and the passenger in the car had to go to the chiropractor for most of 4 months. They wouldn't cover the passenger's medical bills until she was done. Leaving her to cover them until settled. We had to claim on our insurance and have them go after the fees from Farm Bureau. Without a call, we received a very low offer for compensation with the wrong claim number on it and a different one on the passenger offer. I have now spent 5 months trying to get this solved. There should be compensation for the efforts on our part!! This company is terrible with communication. I’m seriously considering legal action if we don’t get a respectable offer in the next 5 days. THIS ACCIDENT WAS TOTALLY THEIR CLIENT'S FAULT. WHY ARE WE BEING TREATED THIS WAY.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Grant ** is the rudest person. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE! Their insured hit our truck.. he came to look at the truck and didn't even make contact with us when he come. We got a letter in the mail and a check for 1,700. I called to get an explanation of how it worked and he said "if I give you 190,00 for that 2013 would you be happy?" I said "Sure but that's not even realistic." He continued to tell me I wouldn't be happy no matter what he did... All I wanted to know was... you sent me a check for 1,700 where can I get my truck fixed for that amount? All the estimates got were for 2,500.00. He never gave me an answer! I have been in HR and office management for 30 years and I WOULD FIRE ANYONE WHO TALKED TO OUR CUSTOMERS THAT WAY.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Did not have the option to rate -5 stars or I most certainly would have!! Would never recommend this company to anyone. Had a motorcycle stolen almost a year ago. They say they have up to 12 months to make a decision... Does not mean they have to or that they should. But they will. Waited 8 months only to find out they rejected the claim and we will get nothing. Out a motorcycle and money for a new one. Do not go with this company. Actually go anywhere else!! TERRIBLE at returning phone calls. But GREAT at communicating when it comes time to sending your bill. Absolutely ridiculous and a sorry excuse for an insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Don't be fooled by the good ol boy commercials. You'll be good ol boyed to death by them! Terrible response time. Lack of knowledge when they do call you back just plain lack of compassion period! We pay a fee to be a MEMBER right? You would think this meant you were in a special group to be treated differently. Maybe a little better. That's the feeling you tell yourself when you pay that fee but... Wrong. 7 months since I made a claim and they tell me they'll call or email. They don't. No one EVER knows what's going on when I call. If you're reading this to decide if you want Farm Bureau Ins... Don't. There's a thing called THE MCKENZIE BIBLE. Look it up. They live and breathe what is in it. They are responsible to their stockholders period. We are 2nd... Maybe 3rd. Just because LEGALLY they can take up to a year to give you a decision on your claim. Doesn't make it RIGHT or mean that they should. But they will because they can.

Save your member fee. Go online and find the cheapest insurance you can because in the end if you have a claim it's not gonna matter who your company is. It's a business period. An investment group who tilts the odds in their favor! Also... When they give you that 1 inch stack of papers at first... Read them very carefully before you sign them. They might be standard to them but it's anything but... And they WILL use it against you should you have to give a deposition and then those good ol boy commercials will turn into Law and Order!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

We have been with this company for years. They require a annual membership of $25-$30 which is not a big deal in the scheme of things if they are a good company. However after years of being with them I found out today that they did not renew my auto insurance and really did a horrible job of communicating that to me. I paid my membership through my bank's bill pay in October. I received a letter stating that if I had not already paid my membership I needed to do so by the date my auto insurance would renew. I checked my account and saw I had already paid it so I felt I was good.

Apparently, there was an issue with the bank payment being collected by the insurance company. They did not notify us to let us know that they were not renewing the auto insurance. When I did not get the new cards I looked online and saw they still had our homeowners listed but not the auto insurance. I called and they said since we did not pay our membership they did not renew the auto policy. Who does that. Loses a customer of $25 without a phone call??? If that is all the value they have for me as a customer, then I will no longer trust them with my house and automobiles. I wanted to leave a review so that anyone that might be considering them would be aware that what they say about caring for their customers was not true for us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: March 10, 2018

I canceled my policy with them due to the fact when I changed cars with them, they were still charging me with two policies instead of one. They said that because of their billing and the way my EFT was set up, that was the problem of not being able to cancel the one policy. A HORRIBLE COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Does not answer phones... does not call back..and does not have their clients' best interests... does not update policies as requested by clients, instead they cancel you when they have been negligent. Not answering the phone is A HORRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS! Thanks for nothing after vultures destroyed my $10,000. new roof! Water destroyed my upstairs and KFB denied my claim!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had a house fire and 9 months later still not resolved. They were ready to fix it right away but I didn't want to use the people they wanted me to use. My policy expired and they upped it over 1000. I was kinda stuck because who was going to insure My house being burned (so they thought). Claims Adjuster will not call back and they have a lawyer also which will not call back and all he does is stall and start their 30 Days over. I give them what they want but somehow they always find something that they need. If you're dealing with them in Michigan and you're having problems The state will help. If you're looking for insurance look some place that cares about people because they do not!!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers the best value for the money. Their rates are reasonable and they are always easy to get in touch with. They responded quickly when I needed to file a claim. I called my agent and he said to get a quote and let him know. I went to one shop. He took my estimate and I got paid quickly.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Couldn't continue home insurance through them for a new house purchase because they couldn't get anyone over there to take pictures in a timely manner (even though I had an appraisal and a home inspection report with pictures). The pictures must be made by "their" camera. After I moved, my auto insurance premium increased mid policy. Evidently I moved to a "bigger" town. I understand that there are complex formulas that go into insurance premiums but to raise someone's premium during the middle of their policy seems ridiculous to me. Looks like it's time to start insurance shopping again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Met Farm Bureau in Indiana on a farm. Now Florida farm bureau. Been with them close to 40 years now and they're a great company! There aren't a lot of ads, just great prices and service. I picked up the phone and called them. Told them what happened. Rear-ended by a hit and run driver. They sincerely apologized to me, saying how sorry they were this had happened to me. I had to wait several hours for the police to come and fill out the report. I sent it to Farm Bureau and they did the rest. Paid my claim, got me a rental car, car got fixed at dealership...done! What could be better than a lifetime of perfect service?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

**EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM FARM BUREAU!!! I have been with them since I started driving. My car is in the shop for almost a week and the adjuster finally looked at my car yesterday!!! They were suppose to look at it the next day NOT 6 DAYS LATER!! They will not cover my damages saying they can or cannot determine the damages to my vehicle is related to the cause. I told them there are only 2 other causes. 1 a wreck (but we know this is not true because there is no outside damage) or 2. I took a crowbar and damaged my own radiator. He said, "Well the cost to fix it is less than your deductible." I said no. So far it's $882 and my deductible is $500.

He said, "Well you shouldn't have taken it to the dealership!" And furthermore I am paying OUT OF POCKET for my rental car. They will not pay for a rental until the adjuster looks at the car. Remind you it took 6 days for them to look at it and I am home alone with 2 little kids and had to work for 4 days! Told them I have always recommended them, but now I will let everyone know how they really are and will be changing insurance companies!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had a claim when I was hit over a week ago and now no one at Farm Bureau is returning my calls. This is horrible customer service. No one seems to know what the other one is doing in regards to my claim and I am getting the run around. What a waste of my time. When I pay these high premiums monthly, I am paying for someone to take care of thing when an accident occurs! I will definitely be shopping for other insurance if they cannot help me in a timely manner.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I chose this insurance with one factor being the agents office was local under a mile from my residence. Two auto policies and two homeowner policies. After having the insurance for a short time, I was informed that I was assigned a new agent in a different town. During the first upsell meetings they solicited to me, I traveled to this town at the convenience of the agents schedule. I traveled to the other town to see what it was about. I quickly learned that it was a life insurance situation and declined.

It was not long before the agents assistant called to arrange another meeting at their office. I declined again and told them to make note not to contact me about this again. I also told her not to contact me by phone anymore as well. Several months later the agents assistant called again about the same thing. I sternly told her that I have declined it already and have no interest in receiving anymore solicitations about it. I then told her that if I was contacted again about the same thing, that I would cancel my policies with them. I then emailed the agent requesting to have me changed to someone local. She refused to do this. Several months later, again assistant calling same situation. I contacted the corporate office to have my agent and was told someone would contact me. Nobody contacted me. I have been lied to by this insurance agency and nobody seems to care about the customers. Terrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I was recently hurt on my daddy's farm, his horse stepped on my foot and crushed it, 2 weeks in the med and 4 surgeries. My daddy has insurance with Farm Bureau, accidental that covers $105,000. However, I contacted them about my accident and they informed me that they were very sorry but because it was my daddy's farm they were not liable to pay. However, I am not crippled, a single mother with two children.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My husband is was involved in a motorcycle accident and had Farm Bureau Insurance. He was overnight in intensive care. We are now being sent to collections because there are many bills not paid. Come to find out the insurance is exhausted, but the adjuster hasn't made an exhaustion letter to these people so our medical insurance will pay. We had no idea this needed to be done, and now we are in collections for all this debt. Not good!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Had my insurance with Farm Bureau for over 20 years. The first time you have to file a claim they make a big issue out of it and is ready to drop you. What happen to all the premiums you've paid all those years? What's the point of having insurance if you can't use it in the time of need? Farm Bureau sucks! I'm no longer with these people.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had car and homeowner insurance with Farm Bureau. This was the worst experience with an agent/insurance company that I ever had. I have had no tickets or accidents. My rate changed 3 times. I sold a car and they raised my rates $1200 a year. I was only pay $400 for the car premiums. When I asked they said it was because I went from 5 to 4 cars. I asked to have the policy reviewed about 6 weeks before it renewed. The agent said they could not review my policy until it renewed because of the way the system worked. I found a different insurance company that was significantly less. I tried to cancel and they said they could not cancel because we were within the 10 day period before the automatic payment.

The agent also told me multiple times that they collected the first month plus a second month in case there were problems with the automatic payments. It took 3 tries to get my policy cancelled. When I cancelled they sent me a bill for a part month. When I called they said that they did not collect an additional payment. That it just the first month payment. The first month payment was double which cost me an addition $350 dollars. On my house it has been 6 weeks and I have still not got my refund on my house premium. All they will say is that it is being processed. I would never use them again. This was the worst insurance experience I have had.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Auto accident I am the victim. She got the ticket rear ended me. 3/8/2017. Local Texas Farm Bureau insurance agent took 1.5 months to answer back my initial calls I made 3/9/2017, 3/15/2017 etc... They have yet 8/25/2017 to replace my car, pay for my medical, no rental car during this time and I am still making payments on my totaled car and insurance for that total car that I cannot drive. Agent and his supervisor very condescending in their communication style.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Set up a new car insurance account with them, paid in full for 6 months upfront. Received a call 2 weeks later that they wanted me to also add home insurance to my policy. Told them it wasn't needed. Received a check canceling my policy... For half of what I paid them!!! They will rip you off, and won't be able to tell you why. Find another company if you can; I'd hate to see what would happen if someone has an accident with their coverage.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Benjamin from the Farm Bureau Insurance in Columbia South Carolina is awesome. First off, farm bureau saved me 1200 dollars a year compared to what I was paying with Nationwide. Benjamin was very helpful with getting me my auto and renter's insurance. He also got me quotes and spoke with me about the different types of life insurance. He was very helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend anyone to use them for any insurance needs they may have. They offer top notch service.

Original review: June 10, 2017

My car was totalled by their insured driver. He ran a red light and totaled my car. I have been arguing with claims agent Debra ** for four months for settlement for bodily injury. She is evasive and rude. They gave me money for car way below book value. They didn't request records from Urgent care. It took me three months to get paperwork. I am getting my records Monday and meeting with Debra on Tuesday. She said she will write the check then I won't accept a small amount. These people are crooks. Don't believe them!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have been insured with Farm Bureau for over 20 years and they have always been good. I have a large policy that covers cars, home, livestock, farm equipment, etc. They respond quickly and always paid the claim. Also, they check in yearly to go over your policy and make sure it’s correct. They update, increase or remove things and that is very helpful.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I have been a member of Farm Bureau for many years and have always been please with how they have taken care of all my issues. I have had them for both my home and car insurance. I went with another company on my home and was very dissatisfied and went back. When I filed a claim, contact was made immediately. Agents were also courteous and answered all questions. The only thing I was unhappy about was when they took away some coverage on roofs of my homeowner’s warranty and if you want it you have to pay extra. But other than that I have been very pleased.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I called and filed a claim via phone. I gave them the accident report number as this happened in Tennessee and did not have to obtain a copy of it myself for the claim. One day later I received a call from a claims adjuster and was told of a few body shops they recommended (one that I prefer to use was on the list). I was offered a rental card but did not need one. I took my car to the body shop and they sent the estimate to the insurance company. Once it was approved (almost immediately) the body shop had all of the repairs completed within 7 days. The insurance company issued payment directly to the body shop. It was a great, hassle-free way that everything was completed.

I feel that the company's service is top-notch and goes above in giving great customer service with the plan I have. They are reliable, dependable, and very customer-friendly fulfilling all my expectations and more. I have had my auto insurance with this company for over 35 years as they have been reliable, dependable, customer-centric, and a very caring company. I will likely stay with this company for my auto coverage as long as I have a car and am able to drive. I truly trust them with all of my coverage needs.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Farm Bureau is a good company for insurance purposes. I started off about 8 years ago and as a member they give a lot of incentive. My children are all grown now and buying their first car and adding them to my policy has been prices. But overall I like this company and I would refer them to families and friends.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Great company as far as paying claims and rates. They are great to work with. However I hate the fact they charge a yearly fee to use them on top of our monthly rates. My husband had a small accident and filed a claim. It evidently was a secret and I never knew about it until I needed help with something else. They give us our insurance rate on each vehicle by who is the primary driver. So the cars I am primary on are always the cheapest rate. Love that!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Farm Bureau of NC is always prompt, on top of things and settles things in a short amount of time. Auto accident handled within 48 hours and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I had the bare min. car insurance with them for less than a year. Thought about paying $25 a year to be a member of which I was for about 8 years prior. Then stopped being a member. Long story short I took out car insurance with them until I shopped around and found something better. Well found it and my new agent even called them. They handed the amount they say I owe to a collection agency including the $25 member yearly fee, for a total of $57. As a past member of the Farm Bureau, I never received anything to warrant me to stay a member. I am really disappointed in this group. I live in Stewart County, GA. and my agent's name is Elizabeth. I did not receive one phone call from her, but to try to collect a membership fee through a collection agency? Is this legal? Stay away from this company. I am so glad I switched. I am sure it would be a nightmare if I did have a claim.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Farm Bureau is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They first screwed me on repairs to my home then I received a letter stating that they were dropping me. Then I find out that I have been paying them for full coverage on my car and come to find out they only have me as liability only. This company is **! DON'T GET INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY!

Farm Bureau expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.

• Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.

• Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps to prepare young drivers for the road while offering a premium insurance discount.

• Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.

• Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.

• Best for: Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky