Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farm Bureau Auto Insurance
2.85/5

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

287 Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The customer service at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance is wonderful. Anytime I have had questions, they have the answers. The coverage is great and the premiums are a lot less than any other insurance company quoted us.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been a long-time member of Farm Bureau, and have had a good overall experience with them. We have been friends with our agent for over 30 years, and every customer service interaction has been very satisfactory. I'm not entirely satisfied with the rates, as we've had only a couple of claims, and they were very small. Despite this, my rates don't go down. In addition, the value given to my pickup during some recent hail damage was not satisfactory. Our car's damage was done fairly. There was no incentive to fix our own damage after a lightning strike, and we ended up costing ourselves money, despite saving the insurance company a significant amount of money on the claim.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had Farm Bureau on my autos, camper and home for 28 years. Never had an issue until here recently when they dropped me out of the blue for trying to add my boyfriend as a driver. I was told that their "All or Nothing" rule says that everyone at my address who has a driver’s license has to be on my policy even if they do not drive my vehicles. They also told me that even with my full coverage policy, I could not let anyone drive my vehicles unless I was with them or they would not pay in the case of an accident. I found out by accident that they had dropped me and I ended up calling them to find out why. They said that because my boyfriend uses my address (even though he doesn't live here yet) and he has a driver’s license was the reason they were terminating my policy. I was given 30 days to get new coverage. I would have never thought they would do me that way after all of the years paying them and being a faithful customer. Very poor business ethics!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My insurance company is pretty good. They do not ding you if you have an accident that isn't your fault. They also don't tend to raise rates often. I have had them for years and even with a claim they were great to me.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Hands down worst experience of my life. Too traumatic to really go into detail. But when you are watching everything you have spent your entire life working for and your loved ones burn in a house fire, the last thing you want to hear from Farm Bureau is "I'm eating. The office will be open later". Things only got worse from there. Tell everyone that you love to stay away from Farm Bureau.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

What good reason could a local insurance company like Farm Bureau Insurance have for refusing to provide coverage for damage from a catastrophic hail storm? Why did all of the 112 units in our Town Home community except ours receive full coverage? As a single woman caring for a chronically ill daughter, our house and home is very important to us and we were dismayed to find that we were singled out as the only family not receiving full coverage for this unexpected natural disaster, especially as other larger and reputable insurance companies like Traveler's and American Family Insurance provided full coverage for the entire community.

By falsely processing our claim as a deductible rather than an 'Individual Lot Assessment' (the letter from our HOA clearly stated this was an 'Individual Lot Assessment’) we received only $1,000 instead of the up to $10,000 we were promised by our policy. We can only imagine that the reason behind this is that is must be easy to take advantage of a single woman who has never filed an insurance claim with this company before.

Since this is the first claim I have tried to file, I do not actually know if Farm Bureau Insurance is a fraudulent company, because my many monthly payments have given me no actual return on 'investment'. My HOA rep actually called this situation 'shameful', and I am disappointed to even need to write a review about this sad situation, especially after speaking personally with the Vice President of this poorly run company. Be very careful of being taken advantage of by companies like Farm Bureau Insurance, especially if you are a single woman. Needless to say I am now with a reputable insurance company and have reported this situation to DORA.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After 20+ years with Allstate we thought we would try someone new so we went with Farm Bureau because they were more affordable. With only ONE claim on our policy we are dropped because our dog - who was tied up - bit someone! If we get rid of the dog they will allow us to maintain our policy... Who does that? I will never use them again. We have to pay more for Allstate but I guess you get what you pay for.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have home and auto insurance with Farm Bureau in Prentiss county. I recently had to file a claim due to a storm. A limb went through my roof. I called my agent Glenn and as always he was very nice and helpful and put me at ease. I had never had to file a claim. The adjuster came out with in the next day or two. He also assured me it would be taken care of promptly and it was. I received a check soon after. I chose the contractor and had a new roof within the next week. I couldn't ask for more friendly and a genuine group of people to handle my affairs when something like this happens. I would recommend Farm Bureau to any and everyone!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Filed a claim for wind damage to the roof. Adjustor and her supervisor gave us the constant runaround. We were accused of lying and manually removing shingles off the garage. We were told the roof would not be covered because it wasn't done properly even though we had an inspection 2 years prior to insure the house. This company will do and say anything to get out of covering anything under the policy. No point in paying them for Homeowner's Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

A customer of yours hit my vehicle while my vehicle was parked. Your customer called me to state that she would repair my vehicle because she does not want the insurance to go up. There was no police report because your customer agreed to fix the damage that her son did to my car. Your customer agreed to arrange a rental car for my son to use while his car is being worked on. Later your customer texted my son that she would rather use her insurance to settle the damage since that was part of what she is paying car insurance for.

Donna ** was assigned to be the adjuster for my vehicle. Donna ** spoke with me stating that I should get a quote and take pictures and email to her, and find a body shop to take my vehicle in for repair. We got everything she asked us to get and emailed to her, made an appointment with the body shop, called Donna ** to arrange a rental vehicle like she promised, but she has not responded since the last week in August that we got estimate. I have called and left Donna ** messages, but she has not called me back as of today. No one should be treated and ignored like this knowing that the fault was your customer's son and not my son's. I need urgent attention to this matter.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

An insured of Farm Bureau rear ended me & I swear this has been the worst week ever. He received a ticket for driving too close & his big truck was damaged as well. The man handling the claim, Alvin, is the most unconcerned, rude, passive, cold hearted, mean individual I have ever had to do business with. 5 days has passed & Alvin says he still haven’t talked with his insured about the accident. I find that very hard to believe because his truck was wrecked as well. It was driveable & he didn’t wanna move it. He got it towed to wherever. And he was upset he received a ticket.

Do that sound like someone who will let 5 days pass from the accident without calling his insurance company. All I ask Alvin about is repairing my vehicle & getting me a rental & all he can say is, "We are not paying you nothing" until I talk to my insured. I never said nothing about paying me. All I want is my vehicle repaired & a rental car so I can get to my 2 jobs. But for whatever reason Alvin shows no remorse for the inconvenience that his precious insured has caused me.

All he can tell me is go through my own insurance & pay the deductible. Which is not fair or right to me at all so I will not be doing that. Farm Bureau has poor representation & inconsiderate people working for them. It’s a shame I have to now go on every site I can to let everyone know how rude these people are. Alvin need to be mindful of the way he speak to me cause he can easily be in my shoes one day & I know he wouldn’t appreciate being talked to so bad when you are going through something like this & at the hands of someone else. I have had dealt with other insurance companies with accidents & I have never experienced nothing to this magnitude. Whether it was my insurance company or the person who caused damage to my vehicle. Farm Bureau has the worst customer service.

Original review: July 23, 2018

They are not quick to cancel and handle all my Insurance, Home and vehicles. And I feel that the rate hikes every year are too high especially since we have such a good record. They sent a letter that I did not appreciate last year saying that our deductibles were going up and when I called about it they said I had no say so and it was not up for discussion. Very rude and I did not like that they came and took photos of my home (outside) and property and I had no say so. They have had losses and said they are trying to recoup. I do not have good options in this small town as to switching so I guess they are as good as it gets here. Been with them 18 years and the people in the offices (customer service) are very nice. It's the company's attitude and their adjusters (some of the Agents) that tend to be rude.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I was t-boned by distracted driver who ran red light nearly two years ago and still in midst of mess due to Farm Bureau not paying medical bill beginning with ambulance. Nine months later received notification Medicare was paying bills. Now Medicare is looking for reimbursement and amount is at $10,000 plus. Have lawyer who informed me that due to MI no fault insurance if auto carrier gets away with NOT paying bills til one year anniversary date, I would be responsible for ALL medical bills. Had to start lawsuit against my own insurance, Farm Bureau, to force them to do the right thing and pay bills.

Although they paid most of them, finding Medicare has changed my primary carrier to be Farm Bureau and for any doctor visits, therapy and medical procedures even not related to the accident are being rejected by Medicare. Pay high premium for Medigap policy in conjunction with Medicare but does not cover if claim rejected by Medicare. This whole mess could have been avoided if Farm Bureau had done the right thing to begin with and what I paid premium for in unfortunate event of accident. I recommend everyone avoid Farm Bureau for auto insurance.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Disgusting company that never returns your calls. It's been 2 weeks since they said they would mail me a check for damages their customer did to my car when they backed up into the front of my car in a parking lot.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I realize that they have many clients, however, I’ve been with them for years and pay my premiums semi-annual. Called Erica a week ago to add a vehicle to my policy only to find out I’ve not had insurance since April. Her response is she tried to call. I’m having phone records pulled to verify she did such but regardless when we have been in business together for the length of time and she knows my wife and I travel constantly as well as have several small businesses you would think courtesy would have been to reach out more thoroughly.

Furthermore I’d like to thank her for my lapse and increase in my liability insurance from $250 every six months to a now $850 every six months. Completely unacceptable. I don’t care about the policy of Farm Bureau. I care that my insurance agent after all these years didn’t have the courtesy to reach out more thoroughly and get ahold of my wife or myself to make sure that our insurance didn’t relapse. Thank you Erica. Do NOT recommend this company at all.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I like the speed in getting claims resolved and in adding a new auto. Also so helpful, both agent and his office staff. I contacted the claims dept, someone came out, told me what they would be paying and I got a check within 5 days. I have had Florida Farm Bureau since 1986 and they are the best.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I've had no issues or problems whatsoever with Farm Bureau. Love it for sure. They have affordable rates, not a long line to wait. Fast and quick to get a vehicle added or removed off policy. The only thing I dislike is they do not offer commercial policies.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It was local and was the best over all price. They bundled my auto and home together. They offered either monthly, semi-monthly or yearly payments also. However the membership fee does not really cover many different offers. It is mainly a very small discount on products that you would not normally purchase all the time. Over all, Texas Farm Bureau Insurance has been a very good insurance company. I have only had to make one small claim, but they were there for me during the hurricanes.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My family has always used Farm Bureau. They are locally available and we can also bundle them. While they do a good job, your rates go up for minor fender benders. And although Farm Bureau gives a discount for safe driving, 1 minor fender bender and you are not eligible for the discount for another 3-5 years. That is ridiculous. Also, I wish that you could pay through a complete year with Farm Bureau. I would like to pay in January not December. Also, they could be cheaper.

Original review: May 27, 2018

The prices are wonderful and competitive. They are the cheapest around town and it don't break my budget and I have two vehicles and additional insurance with them. Also, wonderful customer service. Always ready to greet me with a smile and answer all my questions. They don't make me feel silly when I have a question. They are not only respectful towards me but they also understand the fact that we work hard for our money so they help find the best rate. So their competitiveness was awesome.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. It is the cheapest insurance I have found yet. I have used Progressive and they charged me almost double what I currently pay. I like the fact that it is a small local company and the fact that it is cheaper. The office is very warm and inviting. Always clean and smells nice just like being at home. I also know when I go into pay my bill the girls there are always kind. They explain each policy and what it covers with reasonable rates and small start up fees. And every year they have a customer appreciation day for families.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It is easy to file a claim and getting the payment is easy as well at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance. Takes no time. The Shelby branch is awesome customer service but the prices could be a lot better. And paying a 25.00 fee each year and I get nothing in return for that fee. I do not own a farm so the fee they charge I get nothing from it.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Farm Bureau is a large, trustworthy company. We have been with them for 15 yrs. Their rates were lower than our previous company we had been with for 25+ years. Rates stay about the same without regular increases. Also, discounts for good driving record and for multiple coverages for homeowners and health. Very workable with repairs and lots of choices to get repairs. I have excellent experience filing a claim and they have immediate response to getting repair. Very pleased.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have Farm Bureau insurance and I have my homeowners insurance with them also. My agent is so good to me and is really awesome. He make sure I have the rates I can afford due to the health conditions of my husband and I. He has given me the best price ever. He always is very personable with me and just one of the best agents I could ever find. If I could afford it I would like to have lower deductibles.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Filing process itself is easy later held against you. Had to have a couple of windshields replaced. Later at renewal was forced to put 0 deductible comprehensive to $500 deductible or threatened to drop coverage. Was told by agent it would be for 6 months. After 6 months was up same agent then said underwriting told him 1 yr. After year was up agent’s assistant told me that it was set up for 3 years and they would not change it. Also was in an accident that was not my fault. Other driver was charged but I was injured and he had no bodily injury coverage. Was advised by my NCFBINS agent that I needed to file an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim for my medical bills to be paid. I did but they never paid my bills. After a full year, my medical insurance finally paid my dr/hospital bill. NCFBINS used it against me threatening to drop my insurance if I didn’t raise my comprehensive deductible from 0 to $500.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I like to do my business local whenever possible. Online insurance may be for some people but not me. I want to be able to stop by and talk to my agent in person. I have Elite coverage but it doesn't replace my vehicle with a newer one just blue book value???? However my local agent is so helpful and for now I am satisfied and don't plan on going anywhere else in the near future.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Over the course of our years with Farm Bureau, we have had many different insurance reps and they are always polite and helpful. Although we have not had many claims over the last 20 years with Farm Bureau, they have always treated us well and quickly when we have had one. In fact, we had a 2015 Corvette Stingray that we bought for our daughter in college in another state and it was damaged in a flood. They made it very easy despite the vehicle being in another state.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Farm Bureau is a good insurance company and they have good customer service. Filing a claim was very simple and we were quickly sent a check to pay for the necessary repairs. They review claims and help with whatever is necessary for repairs. However, their rates are very high when compared with other companies but we have chosen to remain with them because the service is so much better.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance has pricey premiums but provide good customer service in a timely manner. I filed a claim after a car accident that was not my fault. Reimbursed me for the value of my car.

Original review: May 4, 2018

If I could give a negative rating I would. My wife was rear ended 12/1/2017 by a Farm Bureau customer. The accident pushed our car in to a bigger truck which then totaled the front end of my vehicle. Long story short my car was totaled. I lost my shirt on the transaction. Darin ** (agent) wouldn’t consider the the brand new tires, updated electronic system etc. Needless to say it took a considerable amount of money to get the same quality vehicle. The communication with the agent has been one sided totally. All done by me. The only time he would call is when I was considering settling.

My wife and the passenger in the car had to go to the chiropractor for most of 4 months. They wouldn't cover the passenger's medical bills until she was done. Leaving her to cover them until settled. We had to claim on our insurance and have them go after the fees from Farm Bureau. Without a call, we received a very low offer for compensation with the wrong claim number on it and a different one on the passenger offer. I have now spent 5 months trying to get this solved. There should be compensation for the efforts on our part!! This company is terrible with communication. I’m seriously considering legal action if we don’t get a respectable offer in the next 5 days. THIS ACCIDENT WAS TOTALLY THEIR CLIENT'S FAULT. WHY ARE WE BEING TREATED THIS WAY.

Farm Bureau expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.

• Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.

• Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps to prepare young drivers for the road while offering a premium insurance discount.

• Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.

• Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.

• Best for: Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky