Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I just wanted to speak up for my mom. She had Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Insurance through Farm Bureau. While on this policy she develop colon problems. This was not considered pre-existing because it occurred while on this policy. Farm Bureau decided to switch everyone's policy to United Health Care WITHOUT telling them. Without giving them the option of going elsewhere for insurance if they wanted to stay on a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan.

This may not seem significant to some, however my mother had to have extensive surgeries this past year, one including a colon dissection. Because Farm Bureau was deceitful and uncommunicative to their policy holders, my mom now has to be 100% of her surgery because now the colon problems are PRE-EXISTING with United Healthcare! This surgery is costing her $100,000 out of pocket. She doesn't have that kind of money. All because Farm Bureau changed her policy without her knowledge.

When calling my agent of 39 years this week to make the payments on auto and renters policies, I was informed that my auto insurance had been cancelled two months previously. I provided proof that I had indeed made payments 20 days earlier and that the agent had said NOTHING about cancellation and was informed that they had not accepted the auto payment - without informing me of that!

The agent said she realized the staff member I had talked to was at fault, but there was nothing to be done OTHER than I MIGHT be reinstated only on AutoPay and at a higher rate and that many of their 'long term customers' had also been cancelled. It is an AutoPay scam folks. Once you are cancelled, it is extremely difficult to find another policy and it will be at a much higher rate. Forget remediation from Waco; there is no such thing as Customer Service. This used to be a nice company but seems to have been taken over by former government bureaucrats or Wells Fargo bankers.

I have been with Farm Bureau for 13 years. I had my windshield crack a week ago. Well I called and explained I need a factory windshield. I know my deductible would be 500 dollars. Well my claim has been denied twice for a wind shield really!!! I have never been late on my payments and this is how you treat a loyal customer?? I called twice. No one is telling me why my claim is denied and if I'm paying 500 what more do you need... I am switching insurance companies today if I can this has been a long week and guess what my windshield is still not fixed with full coverage and the only way you can get windshield cover is to lower your deductible so they can charge you more throughout the year a loyal customer gone due to being greedy!

We purchased a home and two weeks later, the roof leaked after a storm. We contacted the adjuster who didn't have time to come out for two to three weeks. We were told to put a tarp on the roof because it was our responsibility to prevent further damage to the home. The adjuster finally went out there and said that the tarp was put on incorrectly; therefore, he was going to decline the claim. It cost us $1,700 to put the tarp on. He said he would look at it again after we took the tarp off, which would cost us another $1,500. He said the people that put the tarp on put holes in the roof. It was Texas Farm Bureau that couldn't come look at our roof. It was Texas Farm Bureau that told us to put it on.

We had several problems in the interior of the home after that and had to take down the sheetrock and insulation. You could see exactly where the damage was and where the steel roof panels had lifted. He still denied our claim saying it was wind blown rain damage not a storm opening. The house is in such bad shape right now that I cannot change insurance companies. I can't wait to change and I want to warn everyone I can that this insurance company is the worst insurance company you could ever have. Don't do it!!!

My grandparents have been with Farm Bureau for 60 years. Their house recently caught on fire caused by electrical fire. The fire burned the whole upstairs and smoke and water damage in the complete downstairs. My grandfather built this house when he got home from World War 2 and being away from his wife and first born son for 3 years to serve our country. This was not a choice he made just like this was not the choice he made that his house burned down. There was a ton of personal antiques and a lot of other things destroyed in this fire. There were a lot of old pictures destroyed. But more than anything they are forced to live with family and my 90 year old grandmother forced to sleep on the couch in very tight quarters.

The Tyler Tx location has treated them so terrible and after paying for insurance as long as they did, it's terrible. The insurance company is not treating them fair at all. I feel they should have provided them a trailer to sleep in on their property. The insurance company (Farm Bureau) and the insurance adjuster is refusing to pay what is owed. The fire was June 28th and there are still 2 or 3 weeks to go. The reason for this is the insurance company is refusing to pay and they do not have the money to get the work finished soon. I only hope that after all this stress and their already bad health that they get to enjoy their home again that they have raised their children, grandchildren, made it through the depression etc, etc. They are the sweetest people anyone could ever meet and it just sickens me the way they are being treated.

I will go further than this review because people at their age don't deserve it. That generation is going away, the best people ever. We now have the younger generations that don't care about people at all. I am just so honestly pissed off. The Farm Bureau adjusters name is Brenda **!!! She is a ** piece of work. Let me just tell you. I would never use Farm Bureau for anything!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

As a member of the Farm Bureau family for 20+ years, I thought that leaving them for lower rates elsewhere would be difficult. That changed, however, when the competing insurance came back, they found a claim from the previous year that hurt my rates with them. The incident was in a parking lot and filed as a no-fault with the police department. The damage to my vehicle was so minimal that I told the adjuster that I would not pursue a claim, so no need to file one. Farm Bureau apparently decided that I was at fault and filed as such, and paid out $1200 in damages to the other vehicle's owner without ever consulting me, or in any way letting me know of their decision.

When I told them that I wanted the claim re-opened (several months had passed before I found this information out), they generally passed the buck from agent to manager to adjuster, etc. POOREST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. As of this writing, I'm still waiting to hear back from Farm Bureau. I'm no longer a member with Farm Bureau, and they've still not responded to my request, but as far as I can tell it wouldn't have made a difference if I was a member. Just keep mindlessly paying their premiums.

I have been with Farm Bureau for all my driving life, 29 years. My daughter had some issues paying and they cancelled her insurance. I offered to pay it and put her on my account to guarantee a consistent monthly payment. I asked what it would cost. They informed me I would have to pay about $400 to make it current then a surcharge of an additional $50 for six months. Apparently this is a penalty. I asked if they could waive this since I have been with them for so long and they wouldn't. I checked with another insurance company that day and ended up getting better insurance and saved over $3000 a year!!! I cancelled right away, still took over a month to get my refunded money back, but worth it.

Then I found out, most insurance companies are publicly traded companies, which mean they care more for profits for their shareholders than helping you. I switched to a private company, saved tons of money, and they have been the best to work with so far! Take my advice. Don't go with Farm Bureau, or find something better if you currently have them. You WILL save tons of money and less headaches.

Claim agent Chelsea **, Coldspring, Texas office. Party barge damaged in jail storm. I got a price from boat dealer in Wylie, Texas. Agent didn't like price and got two lowball bids. I contacted same dealer she got $3000 price from and they told me $6500. She still offered around $3300. I got my agent involved. I got two more bids in high $6000. After doing her job she offered me $6100. I accepted that offer. Beware, hope I don't have to deal with her again. This all took 3 months to complete.

I changed insurance 2 months ago and had full coverage. I had an accident and now they say I only have liability and refuse to pay for the repair. This has to be illegal what they are doing. How can they get away with this??? A day after the accident I got a letter saying there was a policy change and to contact my agent. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, THEY WILL NOT PAY FOR YOUR CAR!!!

Let me make this brief. If you miss one payment on accident, switch bank accounts etc. NOBODY follows up with you even if it is a bank error. NOPE - they just flat out cancel your insurance via postal mail so you better make sure that's correct! They have HORRIBLE customers service... basically only available Monday - Friday. Good luck with towing and any extra packages that is a NIGHTMARE and hard to even access if you don't have it saved somewhere cause it definitely is NOT on their website. LOL.

After being in an accident, a shop (Smith County Motors) was recommended by the Carthage FB office to have the repairs done. The body shop guy, Michael, constantly lied to me about doing the work. He was not only 3 weeks late getting my truck back to me because he had softball and golf lessons for his son, but he never put water in the leaky radiator, never tightened the battery terminals so the truck wouldn't even start.

The passenger door handle wouldn't open the door now, plus the key lock on the driver's door wouldn't work. No way to get in if you locked the doors. Fog lights wouldn't work. Didn't install the rubber air dam. New headlight points down into the ground. Rubbing compound EVERYWHERE, not detailed. Rubber trim over top of door damaged so water leaks in top of door when it rains. Never fastened down air box, or installed boot so unfiltered air was sucking straight into the turbo, not through the filter.

Called the Farm Bureau adjuster, Ben **, who was a arrogant jerk who doesn't listen to a word you tell him. Said FB would only fix it if I took it back to THAT shop. I finally agreed and Michael promised he would only work on my truck and have it done in 2 days. I called in 2 days and it wasn't done because he had to paint another car... really?!

I didn't get it back until Friday. He did replace the radiator, but now, neither door locks work. He broke one of my battery terminals so it won't tighten down. Still no fog lights. Rubber above door not fixed. Headlight not fixed. Air box still not bolted in. Called Ben ** again. Again, he wanted me to bring it to that shop for the inspector M-F, 8-4. I work before and until after those hrs. I kept trying to tell him this until he actually hung up on me. I called back and asked why the hell he hung up on me, and he did it again.

I called Doug **, his supervisor and told him he just lost a customer, and that ** should be fired on the spot. I then called my agent in Carthage, Ben ** and told him what happened. I told him that after 15 yrs with him and FB with 3-4 cars and a homeowners police, I was going to look for another ins company. I was shocked that he was totally apathetic about it and could really care less. Also, with no warning, my rate went up this month. He said it was a rate increase across the board. I asked why was there no warning. He had no good reason. Farm Bureau could really care less about you when it comes time to stand behind you, only when they want their money. Well, they won't get any more from me.

I had a house fire, dealing with Farm Bureau is worst than the fire itself. Never again, customer service is the worst.

I have had auto and homeowners ins with Farm Bureau for over 20 yrs. I have not been in a accident for over 40 yrs. I was in a accident on April 7, 2016. I reported it to FB the next day - no tickets were given to anyone at the time and FB did nothing to help me unless I would agree to pay 500 deductible. After several weeks I agreed. Still my calls were not returned (5 calls) and no help. On May 12 I was informed they had decided it was my fault and paying for all car damage to 3 cars. This accident was not my fault but I had no option but to have this done the way the rude adjuster had decided. They are the worst company I have had to deal with. Even my agent quit working there. Please don't get ins through them you will be sorry.

I am a new Farm Bureau customer recommended by a family member who has had a couple of storm damage claims and said he was satisfied. I am almost a month out from an accident where a young driver pulled out in front of me when I had a straightaway. The adjusters, both mine and the other party involved (both Farm Bureau), will hardly return a phone call let alone take care of business that has to be done so I can get paid for my SUV. I had a phone appointment today set by the adjuster on another call so that she didn't have to deal with me then, to try to provide a statement. That appointment has blown past with, of course, no call. This is very, very, frustrating and very, very, stressful. I DO NOT recommend their services for any reason.

Farm Bureau used to be excellent. I've had no tickets or accidents, no claims in over 20-years. But... last few years they've been playing "musical agents" locally and they just go from bad to worse. Taking DAYS to get a car on a policy and send a card (making me wait in BF nowhere for days for a card to be able to drive a truck back that I had just bought), then making mistakes on forms they send to the main office, taking a month to correct while my policy still shows and bills for four cars, instead of the actual two that I have. They just don't care anymore and can't be "bothered" by customers (I dread the thought of how incompetent they would be if I were to make a claim!).

So, the Farm Bureau of old is not more. Incompetency reigns from the top down in the organization. So after more than 20-years paying them for insurance I haven't used, for the first time I'm looking into other insurers. It's hard to believe that another company could be as slow and incompetent as Farm Bureau has proven to be. And it looks like prices elsewhere have become more competitive, fancy that?

Well to start this off, switched to Farm Bureau in 2015. Purchased a 2015 Camry in July, 2015. Had a 1998 Jeep grand on the policy with just liability. Was happy about the rates I was being charged on the 2015 for full coverage. On my driving record, there are no tickets or claims. Paid policy off for the 6-month period. So around February moved to Dandridge, TN which is in Jefferson county, was sent a letter from the Corporate office that my rates would increase some. Reason was drivers in this county have a high claim rate, I thought this was kind of lame. For this reason when I called the corporate office and given that I had a safe, clean, and clear driving record. The increase was a few dollars and ok with that. I added a listed driver on my policy at the same time and asked a question if I would be charged for them being listed. Answer is "no". Well the driver has their own insurance policy with another company. Driver lives in the home.

Anyway I purchased a 2012 VW Jetta added it to policy and listed with full coverage. Policy went off significantly. The 2015 increased as well and did not drop any at all. At the time I called corporate and asked why my 2015 Camry did not drop, their answer was "driver ratio". Remember I asked about adding a listed driver earlier before purchase. So at the time, I was talking to an underwriter who lied to me at the time the he was an underwriter and did not tell me the truth about being charged for the listed driver, then transferred me back to my agent I purchased the policy from. Then he gets involved and could not get a true answer except "they use this model and they charge everyone different and use a credit scoring system". I said "Hold on. I have a clean driving history, no tickets, and credit report is very clean. So no reason for me to be paying such higher rates and giving me all these excuses."

At the end, all he could figure is that I was charged for a listed driver. So in truth, I was charged for adding a listed driver. That was not fair and they lied about this. I do not think you should be charged for everyone else's bad driving habits. These insurance companies need to be regulated better on customer service and true information. Customers should be able to see total breakdown of what they pay for. GREED!!

September 3, 2015: I was involved in an accident when another driver hit me. The damage they did to my vehicle was substantial, resulting in a total loss claim from FB. They called me in and gave a check for they deemed a fair price for the vehicle. I did not like this option as I could not purchase the same car in equal condition for the same price. They said the only other option was to purchase the car as a salvage (which I learned today was a lie, but is company policy).

When I decided to do the salvage, Farm Bureau made the decision I was on my own. They stopped giving me help and refused to give me a rental. After 12 years of using them for everything and paying over $15,000 in that time, I was astonished that were not willing to go further. I was irate and on my own in doing all the processes. Without help, I found a dealer and gave him their quote for the work.

While doing the work, he discovered the adjustor missed an item that was over $200 and I had to pay for that out of pocket because Farm Bureau said it was in Good Faith. By November, he had finished all the work. I had a lost a couple hundred dollars, but felt like it was still okay because it beat buying a new car and paying premiums, again.

March 14, 2016: I go to the county tax collector's office and they say I must repurchase the vehicle before buying a car tag. I must now pay a 5% sales tax on a car I already own!! Asinine. I am out another $300 because they failed to mention to me this would take place.

I go their office this morning and they said it was on the bottom of the quote, hidden, but included. The manager at the office says I could have avoided this using the option of never selling it to salvage. He said it is an obscure option that not many people use, but is there. I asked him why I was never made aware of this, his repose, "We do not tell people this option because the agents are not going to mention it." He then goes way off tangent saying Farm Bureau did what they were required to do.

So, Farm Bureau's responsibility is not to do the best for the clientele, it is to do the bare minimum. I have now proudly dropped Farm Bureau and now am working on every family member to join. Making one claim in 12 years and withholding information from me shows me exactly what Farm Bureau is concerned with and that is their stockholders as Farm Bureau is numbers based, not quality-based. They want more members, nothing else. They have higher premiums which they say is warranted because they have the best customer service. This is laughable.

My car got broken into at the worst time ever... the day before I was attending a baby shower and getting my taxes done after that. Being a mother of 4, I know things slip my mind and I had packed my car with stuff I needed the next day and the thieves ran off when my expensive canon camera and all my tax papers for the past 3 years along with a lot of other personal belongings. It was traumatizing that someone ran off with such personal stuff but the Farm Bureau agent is adding salt to the wounds by taking his sweet time to "investigate."

It's been a MONTH and he just now started reaching out to my witnesses. I have been with Farm Bureau for many years and thought they were great UNTIL I NEEDED THEM. I will not be recommending them to anyone ever again and will NOT be renewing my policy after this. Nobody can tell me what's going on with my claim, they can't tell me how much longer it should take, and the agent (who said he would call to update me along the way) hasn't called in 3 weeks and I can't get a hold of him. My personal agent hasn't even called to check on things to make sure everything is taken care of. They simply do not care. Do not use them.

I received 17 voice mails from a Farm Bureau Auto Insurance office Brian Edwards of Clinton township Michigan to come in and sign up before the 2016 rate increase. So I left AARP insurance and followed the with Mr Edwards office per agent Cancy. A associate wrote the policy 1 week before Christmas. When done I thanked the agent and gave her a light hug and hand shake in thanks for saving me money and happy holidays. This ended up with agent Cancy being offended that I touched her and she ran and told her boss Mr Edwards that made her feel uncomfortable. 2 days later someone placed crazy glue in their locks. 2 detectives visited me claiming they had no proof but felt I was a prime suspect due to CANCY OVERREACTION TO OFFENSE. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE LIARS AND CON ARTIST.

I don't understand the rating system now being used by these insurance companies. I had a 2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S and I had full coverage on it through Farm Bureau at $68.85 per month. I have now gone to a new 2015 Nissan Sentra S and my full coverage insurance for this car has gone to $99.11 per month for this car. Never in my entire life as a driver have I paid such high rates for this auto insurance.

The auto insurance commission should check into this rating policy being used by these companies in order to justify their high rates for a safe driver without any tickets or accidents. More people need to complain about this in order for them to stop raising their rates. We shouldn't have to pay extra for them to collect on their losses from unsafe drivers. Punish those that have tickets and accidents by raising their rates so that those that do have bad driving against them - have to pay for it. This is really horrible for us safe drivers to have to pay these high rates. Someone wake up and change these rotten policies so that insurance companies can't take advantage of us. A mad senior USA citizen of 56 years of safe driving without an accident or ticket.

My Toyota Corolla collided with a deer early November 2015. The Physical Damage Appraiser came to the decision that my car was totaled. The local agent in Greensboro is fantastic - patient, efficient, and very friendly/professional. However, once the claim was transferred from the local office to the Farm Bureau Collision Center, I soon realized the deer was the least of my problems. The personnel at the Collision Center assigned to my claim are completely incompetent. Correspondence is very limited. I was "left in the dark" regarding the status of the payout. It has been nearly 1 1/2 months without payment OR the power of attorney.

I had to contact my local agent to see if he could obtain additional information with regard to the delay, because attempting to contact someone from the Collision Center is difficult, to say the least. I was given the following reason as to why the above process is taking so long: 'We just had a lot of deer collisions this month.' OMG! I am a high school teacher. Let's say a Senior student of mine needed high school transcripts sent out to the University of Georgia prior to application deadlines. I wonder what a parent would say to the following response, "I don't know if I can get all my grades into the Main Office on time, so your child may not make the deadline. I just have a lot of students in my class this year." I guarantee you I wouldn't have a job much longer.

I love my local Farm Bureau agency in Greensboro - awesome staff! Sadly, when (or if) the above situation is resolved, I feel compelled to change insurance companies. Allstate premiums may be higher, but you know what they say - you get what you pay for. Honestly, I don't feel secure having GA Farm Bureau insurance. If it takes this long to settle a simple claim (hit a deer with NO bodily injury), I can only imagine how long it would take to resolve an incident that involved another car with bodily injury. 6 months? A year?

An individual claimed he saw our car hit a parked car in a restaurant parking lot and told the driver of the parked vehicle, his opinion, after following her to another store parking lot, where he entered the same store as my wife and belligerently began yelling at her. When it was all said and done there was absolutely NO damage to our bumper cover or fender in the area the man claimed to have witnessed. After we heard the accuser's account it became apparent he was not even at a vantage point to see any contact between the vehicles. Even so Farm Bureau charged the repair of the other vehicle to our account and promised it would not change our policy at all. Later they cancelled our account on its renewal date but did show the claim as a not-at-fault as promised, and now refuse to correct the false/misleading information.

We had been with them for 19 years and didn't expect this kind of treatment but were sufficiently angered by the event to decide to look for other options for insurance. We soon found that Farm Bureau had several item on their files stating claims that were written in such a way so they appeared to be our fault when they were not. This made it almost impossible to find insurance with another company. So far they have falsely written claims when we're already the victim of others' act so that we are now the victim of Farm Bureau. There is no moral, ethical, or just reason for them to refuse to correct the file since we are not continuing to do business with them. They are like a bully or the deranged and angry member of a divorce who damages or takes property without justification only to spite the other partner.

If they would amend the file as "No fault" on the claims in question, we could easily purchase insurance and they would lose nothing as a result. Let us get away from you Arkansas Farm Bureau!!! You don't have to choke us to death. Insurance companies look at shared records to underwrite a policy and Arkansas Farm Bureau is listing our account in such a manner that other companies won't write us. If they would list everything properly we would be fine.

Consider your life with no car. How do you take your kids to school and pick them up when you live 1.8 miles from the school, the bus refuses to pickup within 2 miles of the school? How do you get to and from work with no legal car to drive when you live 19 miles from your work? I can't understand it and won't accept it. I have been told that I have no recourse because "You can't fight a corporation" but if you are determined and have faith you can move mountains: This mountain is coming to Mohammed!

They have been there for me through my life insurance, home insurance, & all car insurances, any other needs I could have. They were willing to meet me at my work location or home & were always there in a hurry. It was always my customer service rep not just some person but the person from the beginning that has been there with me instead of just a robot on a phone.

My agent is always so helpful. If I have a question or a problem with my auto insurance I can just call her and they fix it within minutes. We have probably owned 8 cars in the past 2 years. It is so easy and fast to get each of those vehicles covered. They have the best deals around too!

This company gives me affordable insurance and great local service... Any changes are just a quick trip or a phone call away with me being able to budget and pay monthly, quarterly, or yearly. Any questions we have they work with us quickly to resolve any problems. We have been very pleased with the price and quality of the service.

The cost for the car insurance is high. We have never made a claim before but it goes up every 6 months by $10.00. The customer service is great. When I call they always seem to help and have the right answer. The other con with them is they close at 4 every day, Monday through Friday and they are not open on weekends. Sometimes they are inconvenient.

On Wednesday night, November 25, my husband was sideswiped by another car - the airbag saved him from serious injury and maybe even worse. The next morning, Thanksgiving, we tried to call our insurance agent/office. We kept getting "looped" and could not leave a message. We were directed to another number, we later learned was an "answering service." The response to his concern that he was about 5 hours from home without a car and needed to know what to do was, "Call your agent on Monday." When he reminded them he was out of state with no transportation and his mother is in hospice 2.5 miles from where he was, he was told to "rent a car at your own expense."

He asked, "Seriously? That's it? At my own expense?" The "answering service" hung up on him. We have heard NOTHING from our agent after repeated emails, or from Customer Service. Where is help? Because it is a holiday, we get NO HELP or ADVICE or SERVICE from NC Farm Bureau? This is unacceptable. We are confused and quite helpless. I have been a Farm Bureau customer for my entire life, as was my father, a teacher and farmer. I don't know what has happened to this organization, but this entire episode is unforgivable.

I have had this insurance for the past 7-8 years. I feel safe with their services and trust they will move rapidly to assist. Recently granddaughter borrowed one of our vehicles and car was vandalized, we had a rental car in less than a day. Our car was repaired in less than one week.

They are helpful, giving advice but letting you make your own choices. The experience I've had was great. We had to make a claim when lightning struck our house. They were fast to take care of my family and fixing electrical problem so we were back in our home in 3 days.

I have been with KY Farm Bureau since 1999 and have had two auto claims which were settled to my satisfaction. They are easy to deal with and don't bug me. They have a good automatic deduction payment program. Their rates say pretty stable and are reasonable. They have programs which help reduce premiums e.g. safe driver program courses. Overall, I have been very pleased with them.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.
  • Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.
  • Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps to prepare young drivers for the road while offering a premium insurance discount.
  • Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.
  • Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.
  • Best for Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Compare Auto Insurance