Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Set up a new car insurance account with them, paid in full for 6 months upfront. Received a call 2 weeks later that they wanted me to also add home insurance to my policy. Told them it wasn't needed. Received a check canceling my policy... For half of what I paid them!!! They will rip you off, and won't be able to tell you why. Find another company if you can; I'd hate to see what would happen if someone has an accident with their coverage.

Benjamin from the Farm Bureau Insurance in Columbia South Carolina is awesome. First off, farm bureau saved me 1200 dollars a year compared to what I was paying with Nationwide. Benjamin was very helpful with getting me my auto and renter's insurance. He also got me quotes and spoke with me about the different types of life insurance. He was very helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend anyone to use them for any insurance needs they may have. They offer top notch service.

My car was totalled by their insured driver. He ran a red light and totaled my car. I have been arguing with claims agent Debra ** for four months for settlement for bodily injury. She is evasive and rude. They gave me money for car way below book value. They didn't request records from Urgent care. It took me three months to get paperwork. I am getting my records Monday and meeting with Debra on Tuesday. She said she will write the check then I won't accept a small amount. These people are crooks. Don't believe them!

I have been insured with Farm Bureau for over 20 years and they have always been good. I have a large policy that covers cars, home, livestock, farm equipment, etc. They respond quickly and always paid the claim. Also, they check in yearly to go over your policy and make sure it’s correct. They update, increase or remove things and that is very helpful.

I have been a member of Farm Bureau for many years and have always been please with how they have taken care of all my issues. I have had them for both my home and car insurance. I went with another company on my home and was very dissatisfied and went back. When I filed a claim, contact was made immediately. Agents were also courteous and answered all questions. The only thing I was unhappy about was when they took away some coverage on roofs of my homeowner’s warranty and if you want it you have to pay extra. But other than that I have been very pleased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

I called and filed a claim via phone. I gave them the accident report number as this happened in Tennessee and did not have to obtain a copy of it myself for the claim. One day later I received a call from a claims adjuster and was told of a few body shops they recommended (one that I prefer to use was on the list). I was offered a rental card but did not need one. I took my car to the body shop and they sent the estimate to the insurance company. Once it was approved (almost immediately) the body shop had all of the repairs completed within 7 days. The insurance company issued payment directly to the body shop. It was a great, hassle-free way that everything was completed.

I feel that the company's service is top-notch and goes above in giving great customer service with the plan I have. They are reliable, dependable, and very customer-friendly fulfilling all my expectations and more. I have had my auto insurance with this company for over 35 years as they have been reliable, dependable, customer-centric, and a very caring company. I will likely stay with this company for my auto coverage as long as I have a car and am able to drive. I truly trust them with all of my coverage needs.

Farm Bureau is a good company for insurance purposes. I started off about 8 years ago and as a member they give a lot of incentive. My children are all grown now and buying their first car and adding them to my policy has been prices. But overall I like this company and I would refer them to families and friends.

Great company as far as paying claims and rates. They are great to work with. However I hate the fact they charge a yearly fee to use them on top of our monthly rates. My husband had a small accident and filed a claim. It evidently was a secret and I never knew about it until I needed help with something else. They give us our insurance rate on each vehicle by who is the primary driver. So the cars I am primary on are always the cheapest rate. Love that!

Our roof was destroyed by a tornado in 2011. Called Farm Bureau of MARYVILLE, they sent an appraiser, and it was fully covered, no cost to us, and now have a new tin roof and gutters. We also had lightning hit our air conditioner, they sent us a check covering putting a new trane in our home. Farm Bureau really cares about their customers. Our agent was Matt, who is now the head Representative of MARYVILLE office. I am very thankfully that we have this agency as our homeowners insurance.

Farm Bureau of NC is always prompt, on top of things and settles things in a short amount of time. Auto accident handled within 48 hours and I couldn't ask for anything more.

I had the bare min. car insurance with them for less than a year. Thought about paying $25 a year to be a member of which I was for about 8 years prior. Then stopped being a member. Long story short I took out car insurance with them until I shopped around and found something better. Well found it and my new agent even called them. They handed the amount they say I owe to a collection agency including the $25 member yearly fee, for a total of $57. As a past member of the Farm Bureau, I never received anything to warrant me to stay a member. I am really disappointed in this group. I live in Stewart County, GA. and my agent's name is Elizabeth. I did not receive one phone call from her, but to try to collect a membership fee through a collection agency? Is this legal? Stay away from this company. I am so glad I switched. I am sure it would be a nightmare if I did have a claim.

Farm Bureau is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They first screwed me on repairs to my home then I received a letter stating that they were dropping me. Then I find out that I have been paying them for full coverage on my car and come to find out they only have me as liability only. This company is **! DON'T GET INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY!

I was working with this company after their client did a hit and run on my vehicle. Their client's Agent (Dawn) was trying to discourage me through the process of sending info about that accident. Told me "even if, we receive your paperwork about what's wrong with your vehicle from the auto shop. That won't tell us anything." I asked "then why did you give me your fax and email to send it to?" Also told me she never got my information, "it might be in my spam folder. It takes up to 24hr for me to find it."

She also gave me a confirmation # to receive a rental car and to pick up a vehicle at Enterprise. Which the next day she canceled and told me many times she was taking it away from me. Since someone from her company had to look at my vehicle 1st before I could have a rental. I asked "so why did you tell me to go to Enterprise to pick the rental up?" After that I asked for this agent last name. She would not give it to me and said "you don't need to know it. You have my number!" Unorganized, non-professional, complete liars.

The prices are okay but the service is terrible. My Agent never replied to a voice mail or email. About 75% of the time other people I would reach out to did. When we purchased a home no one would contact me back about setting up home insurance so we got a different insurance for that and eventually switched everything over. I finally got the life insurance canceled (cross my fingers) after the third attempt. I never had a claim in the 8 years we had them. So hard today how they would have handled a claim. I was in one auto accident but it was not my fault so the other car's insurance covered it all. I did put a phone call into Farm Bureau claim line then and was told the other company would take care of everything and didn't need to do anything with farm bureau.

As a customer with FB for over 25 years we have had problems with their old fashioned website for years. Often rejecting payments for no apparent reason! Because I didn't make sure I double checked their work. A payment didn't go through and no notice was sent out. They canceled our policy and refused to allow us to back pay for continuous coverage. Now we are being fined $1800 from our note holders on our vehicles. Our agent did not care nor did anyone in Waco. Why pay more to just be an impersonal number? Could never recommend to use this organization which is disheartening because we have been customers for so long!

Made a phone call to report a claim, and was contacted sometime after that to settle. I get prompt and courteous service. I was only expecting the auto repair but received more compensation for broken glasses, rental car, time involved, etc.

One phone call to agent and everything taken cared of in a very timely manner. Been with Farm Bureau Auto Insurance for over 40 years and have yet to have any problem(s) with any claim that was filed.

I was hit by someone on a motorcycle. In my name he hit me. He was coming over a hill. I did not see him. He did not see me. The adjuster is blaming me for the accident that was not my fault. The one on the motorcycle could have gone around has he not been speeding or high on **!

We first started using them in 1999 with our house and our vehicles. Later we moved our vehicles to GEICO because the price was lower and better service. We kept her house at Farm Bureau. 2016 we were told that if we moved our vehicles back to them they would drop our house $1,000 a year. So even though we really like Geico we switched because going to save us $1,000 a year. This was in August. Now start of 2017 we get a bill in the mail and our car insurance is $2,000 per year and our house insurance is $1,000 more year.

I try to work with them and they would not tell me why they raised it that much so we switch back to GEICO, everything including our house. When I call to switch back they lowered everything back down. But I had been trying to get them to lower it for 2 weeks on the phone. They lied to us to get us to switch everything. Once we switched everything then they tried to get more money than what we were paying before we switch. Would never ever go back to Farm Bureau.

I got their car insurance by the dealer suggestion. They quoted me twenty dollars cheaper than they actually charged me and the agent said I must be mistaken on the quote (my dealer wrote it down in his paperwork fyi) - that's day one. Fast forward 1 month and 8 days, and they just charged me for 3 full months at once. I've been on the phone with them several times today, but they pass me off to other agents and tell me the agent is in a meeting (all day). My final call they said he will get back with me when he gets out of the "meeting" TOMORROW! I will be canceling just after I hear from him if he even returns my call this time. 25 years of driving ZERO accident or tickets in my lifetime and I'm set up for auto draft btw.

Messed up my policy from start to finish. Right now I don't even have a clue what is going on with my policy!!! Because I can never get a call back or speak to whom I am suppose to, because he is never there or is too busy. Lol. Really!!! Too busy to deal with or help or talk to your client that is paying you. The client you told not to worry about anything, you will fix everything. But then you avoid!!! Please. I can't even go into detail about all the mistakes and problems. Because that would take me all day.

To sum it up. What went right??? Would be easier, NOTHING!!! Then you cannot get anyone on the phone to discuss anything!!! To change or fix anything!!! The worst company, the worst Customer service, the worst everything!!! Do not ever use this company, Ever!!! They are a joke!!! You will be paying for insurance you don't even know if you have, and for things you are not supposed to be!!! On top of it all!!! AGAIN WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Since I was out of state I called in and ask if in case of flood is my car protected with my policy? They said "no", I said "thanks glad to know". After 2 years I found out my question was treated as claim. Beware do not give your information to their agent or might as well don't use this insurance company at all. At the moment I am having a hard time finding for a better rate even though I do not have any ticket or any legit auto claim filed.

I was a client for almost 9 years with homeowners and vehicle insurance with Farm Bureau of NC, Buncombe County office. The only time I had an auto claim, my absolutely awful agent Robert ** managed to ignore my calls, call my neighbor's phone and leave personal information related to my claim on their answering machine (how did that even happen??? ), and also when I spoke to him, he said "hey little lady, maybe I should speak with your husband". No apologies for divulging personal information. Gross negligence. Robert ** should be fired. Anytime I had a question about my account.policy, he never had an answer and said he would call back... he never did. Avoid this company at all costs. I closed my accounts with them and got superior coverage for a lower price. Do not use Farm Bureau of NC!

I just wanted to speak up for my mom. She had Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Insurance through Farm Bureau. While on this policy she develop colon problems. This was not considered pre-existing because it occurred while on this policy. Farm Bureau decided to switch everyone's policy to United Health Care WITHOUT telling them. Without giving them the option of going elsewhere for insurance if they wanted to stay on a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan.

This may not seem significant to some, however my mother had to have extensive surgeries this past year, one including a colon dissection. Because Farm Bureau was deceitful and uncommunicative to their policy holders, my mom now has to be 100% of her surgery because now the colon problems are PRE-EXISTING with United Healthcare! This surgery is costing her $100,000 out of pocket. She doesn't have that kind of money. All because Farm Bureau changed her policy without her knowledge.

When calling my agent of 39 years this week to make the payments on auto and renters policies, I was informed that my auto insurance had been cancelled two months previously. I provided proof that I had indeed made payments 20 days earlier and that the agent had said NOTHING about cancellation and was informed that they had not accepted the auto payment - without informing me of that!

The agent said she realized the staff member I had talked to was at fault, but there was nothing to be done OTHER than I MIGHT be reinstated only on AutoPay and at a higher rate and that many of their 'long term customers' had also been cancelled. It is an AutoPay scam folks. Once you are cancelled, it is extremely difficult to find another policy and it will be at a much higher rate. Forget remediation from Waco; there is no such thing as Customer Service. This used to be a nice company but seems to have been taken over by former government bureaucrats or Wells Fargo bankers.

I have been with Farm Bureau for 13 years. I had my windshield crack a week ago. Well I called and explained I need a factory windshield. I know my deductible would be 500 dollars. Well my claim has been denied twice for a wind shield really!!! I have never been late on my payments and this is how you treat a loyal customer?? I called twice. No one is telling me why my claim is denied and if I'm paying 500 what more do you need... I am switching insurance companies today if I can this has been a long week and guess what my windshield is still not fixed with full coverage and the only way you can get windshield cover is to lower your deductible so they can charge you more throughout the year a loyal customer gone due to being greedy!

We purchased a home and two weeks later, the roof leaked after a storm. We contacted the adjuster who didn't have time to come out for two to three weeks. We were told to put a tarp on the roof because it was our responsibility to prevent further damage to the home. The adjuster finally went out there and said that the tarp was put on incorrectly; therefore, he was going to decline the claim. It cost us $1,700 to put the tarp on. He said he would look at it again after we took the tarp off, which would cost us another $1,500. He said the people that put the tarp on put holes in the roof. It was Texas Farm Bureau that couldn't come look at our roof. It was Texas Farm Bureau that told us to put it on.

We had several problems in the interior of the home after that and had to take down the sheetrock and insulation. You could see exactly where the damage was and where the steel roof panels had lifted. He still denied our claim saying it was wind blown rain damage not a storm opening. The house is in such bad shape right now that I cannot change insurance companies. I can't wait to change and I want to warn everyone I can that this insurance company is the worst insurance company you could ever have. Don't do it!!!

My grandparents have been with Farm Bureau for 60 years. Their house recently caught on fire caused by electrical fire. The fire burned the whole upstairs and smoke and water damage in the complete downstairs. My grandfather built this house when he got home from World War 2 and being away from his wife and first born son for 3 years to serve our country. This was not a choice he made just like this was not the choice he made that his house burned down. There was a ton of personal antiques and a lot of other things destroyed in this fire. There were a lot of old pictures destroyed. But more than anything they are forced to live with family and my 90 year old grandmother forced to sleep on the couch in very tight quarters.

The Tyler Tx location has treated them so terrible and after paying for insurance as long as they did, it's terrible. The insurance company is not treating them fair at all. I feel they should have provided them a trailer to sleep in on their property. The insurance company (Farm Bureau) and the insurance adjuster is refusing to pay what is owed. The fire was June 28th and there are still 2 or 3 weeks to go. The reason for this is the insurance company is refusing to pay and they do not have the money to get the work finished soon. I only hope that after all this stress and their already bad health that they get to enjoy their home again that they have raised their children, grandchildren, made it through the depression etc, etc. They are the sweetest people anyone could ever meet and it just sickens me the way they are being treated.

I will go further than this review because people at their age don't deserve it. That generation is going away, the best people ever. We now have the younger generations that don't care about people at all. I am just so honestly pissed off. The Farm Bureau adjusters name is Brenda **!!! She is a ** piece of work. Let me just tell you. I would never use Farm Bureau for anything!!!

As a member of the Farm Bureau family for 20+ years, I thought that leaving them for lower rates elsewhere would be difficult. That changed, however, when the competing insurance came back, they found a claim from the previous year that hurt my rates with them. The incident was in a parking lot and filed as a no-fault with the police department. The damage to my vehicle was so minimal that I told the adjuster that I would not pursue a claim, so no need to file one. Farm Bureau apparently decided that I was at fault and filed as such, and paid out $1200 in damages to the other vehicle's owner without ever consulting me, or in any way letting me know of their decision.

When I told them that I wanted the claim re-opened (several months had passed before I found this information out), they generally passed the buck from agent to manager to adjuster, etc. POOREST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. As of this writing, I'm still waiting to hear back from Farm Bureau. I'm no longer a member with Farm Bureau, and they've still not responded to my request, but as far as I can tell it wouldn't have made a difference if I was a member. Just keep mindlessly paying their premiums.

I have been with Farm Bureau for all my driving life, 29 years. My daughter had some issues paying and they cancelled her insurance. I offered to pay it and put her on my account to guarantee a consistent monthly payment. I asked what it would cost. They informed me I would have to pay about $400 to make it current then a surcharge of an additional $50 for six months. Apparently this is a penalty. I asked if they could waive this since I have been with them for so long and they wouldn't. I checked with another insurance company that day and ended up getting better insurance and saved over $3000 a year!!! I cancelled right away, still took over a month to get my refunded money back, but worth it.

Then I found out, most insurance companies are publicly traded companies, which mean they care more for profits for their shareholders than helping you. I switched to a private company, saved tons of money, and they have been the best to work with so far! Take my advice. Don't go with Farm Bureau, or find something better if you currently have them. You WILL save tons of money and less headaches.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.
  • Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.
  • Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps to prepare young drivers for the road while offering a premium insurance discount.
  • Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.
  • Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.
  • Best for Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Compare Auto Insurance