2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.24/5

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farm Bureau is not just for farmers or those in rural communities. They offer home and life insurance and often bundle discounts. Many customers have been with the company since the 1980s. Happy reviewers report warm customer service from local agents and prefer the personalized service.

PROS

• Cover many types of vehicles
  • Discounts available
  • Local offices and agents
  • Young driver safety program
  • Offers a mobile app
  • Membership benefits

CONS

• Does not offer 12-month premium quotes
  • Some customers find the claims filing process cumbersome

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: June 23, 2020

I have been with Farm Bureau for over 10 years now. Never had a claim. April 2019 - My parked car was damaged and I submitted the claim with the person who damaged it, car insurance information. All went well, until I asked for FB to go and get my $500 deductible from her car insurance. I was told by the adjuster, they would pursue it as a "courtesy". When I called for the status 8 weeks later, I was told to quit bothering them. A year passed and I reached out to my agent. He apologized. Said he would take care of it... but he couldn't find any information on file. Not about the other person's car insurance information nor pictures. I had to resend it. I have repeatedly tried to get updates. I get crickets. AWFUL!

Original review: May 13, 2020

Farm Bureau has not been COVID-19 friendly and somewhat misleading. They announced a "Promise to Give Special Premium 15% Discount" on April 18th by email. The announcement said "The Farm Bureau Insurance Companies are applying a one-time credit to all personal auto policyholders. This special credit is based on 15 percent of two months auto premium paid for each vehicle we cover-an estimated value of about $30 million. No action needs to be taken by you to receive this special assistance. We will simply credit the customers' next invoice after we start the program." However, as you can see, they didn't commit to a date when the program was to start. When I received my renewal invoice email on May 13th for a June 1, 2020 renewal the discount was not applied.

When I called my agent I was told the program doesn't start until May 15 and since my May invoice for a (6 month premium renewal) was dated prior to May 15, they cannot apply the discount until the next six months renewal invoice. That defeats the purpose of a COVID-19 discount if I have to wait 6 MORE months, until December 2020 before a discount can be applied. Then I asked if I could switch from 6 month premium to monthly premium. I was told yes but auto bank draft was required to which I agreed. Then I was told I would have to pay 2 months premium UPFRONT in order to go on the monthly plan. Again, this defeats the purpose of COVID-19 relief. All FB had to do to help policy holders that wanted to switch from 6 month payments to monthly because of COVID-19 is to waive the 2 months upfront requirement. Their attempt to help policy holders seems like a very lame effort and insincere.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I had coverage for twenty years with no claims, multiple discounts to include safe driver, multi vehicle,etc. When I purchased another vehicle and was changing the coverage over I was asked if any other drivers in my home. They cancelled my policy because my girlfriend who has her own car and insurance has SR-22 which has nothing to do with my vehicle. They will probably cancel my home owner policy next since she lives with me. Will be taking my business elsewhere. Morristown, TN.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Farm Bureau Ins is excellent. Repairs are done quickly. Quality of repairs and replacement is not always the best. My cabinets are falling apart, and the tile is all uneven. They raised my insurance by $50 a month. I am on a combined of vehicle/house. I am on disability, $880 a month, insurance is now $200 a month and the $50 will come out of my food budget. Back to foodbank I rarely drive.They said it will come down in 2 years.I asked why the claims. My agent said it was because of 2 claims on the house. My agent said, If I "referred" people I would get $50. Many of my friends are in the same situation. I cannot refer people to a company that will cost them more money than they have. My agent said, "you can always refer family members." Obviously he has never read my file. They are all deceased. No, I will not refer, I will not even say one word to anyone in positive reference.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I was backing up in my driveway when I struck my son’s car; I called the number on my membership card to report the incident. The adjuster called me a few days later and began asking me details about the incident, I provided the information. Once the information was provided the adjuster “Brittany” who was polite stated that my claim was denied. When I ask why she explained that my son’s insurance was not with FB and he has the same address as mine. I was in disbelief! To make sure I understood, I ask her to explain to me again why my insurance would not pay for the damage I done to my son’s car.

Again she stated that he has the same address that I have and he has insurance with a different insurance company. I’m not disputing that this was not written in my police because I truly don’t know. It seems to me that these folks are using a technical term to keep from paying a legitimate claim. If I were to have a accident with my some in a completely different city or state they will not pay for the damage!!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I just got off phone with a smarta** Lee ** with Farm Bureau and he said we did not get hurt enough to get $500 each for bruising and aches and pain from the accident that TOTALED an f250 pickup. I am 68 yrs old and husband is 73. How exactly would we NOT have gotten bruised and beat from the impact??? ANYONE that is in accident GO TO DR and complain of everything to make them pay. We did the honorable thing. We paid our own tow, did not accept a rental vehicle nor did we go to Dr and run up a bill but apparently they now think we are liars about our pain and suffering so for future references GO TO DR because your suffering is worth nothing to them otherwise. He already knew it was not worth us taking them to court so he was a total smarta** but end result is they have made an enemy that WILL warn others!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Our claim agent has done nothing to help us through the process of submitting our claim or seeing it through. We have called him numerous times a day over multiple days/weeks, he never answers. We were told to bring in the totaled car's title and once it was in our insurance check would be processed. It has been at least 2 weeks since we turned the title in and our agent is not answering our calls about when we should expect the check. Today we called the mechanic's shop where the car was taken after the accident, found out our agent never had the car picked up, it is still sitting at the shop and once again no answer when we call. To say we are frustrated is an understatement.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I'm a low-income citizen & needed to get new car insurance for a lower rate. The people at Farm Bureau Ins. were very helpful & found that I could get auto & renters ins. for $82.75 per month. Farm Bureau now offers 12 month policies & for an extra $50.00 per year, roadside assistance & many other discount benefits are included. I'm so glad I have farm bureau insurance now.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

The worse customer service ever. Refuses to work with you and doesn't help at all with any issues. Doesn't care about keeping customers. And blocked our number from being able to call. Kept giving us the go around and refused to let us speak to a manager. Called Allstate and they even said their system all shows the same and that they were lying to us and they were sorry for their piss poor service and agreed they suck and are by far the worse out there. Never use them unless you want them to give you a ** headache! Give no stars if it was allowed!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been calling my agent for 3 months. Now asking when I will receive my check for hail damage to my car. EVERY time I call, I get the same response, "They're waiting on Corporate". VERY DISAPPOINTED!! FARM BUREAU DOES NOT PUT THEIR CUSTOMERS FIRST!!

Farm Bureau author review by Matthew Brodsky

In addition to cars, this company offers insurance for vans, RVs and motorcycles. The company has an A rating from AM Best for financial strength. It’s important to note the company only offers auto insurance policies directly in Arizona, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

• Coverage and plans: Farm Bureau’s car insurance provides basic coverage as mandated by state governments. Farm Bureau also offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.

• Cost: Farm Bureau auto insurance costs vary widely by state, demographics and other factors. Nationwide, the average six-month policy for a 30-year-old male is about $770. Farm Bureau customers must be members. Farm Bureau membership costs from $20 to $90 a year.

• Discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students and drivers that are claim-free.

• Standout feature: Members have access to several discounts and perks, which they can manage through an easy-to-use mobile app.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor