Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
Farm Bureau Auto Insurance
2.14/5

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farm Bureau is not just for farmers or those in rural communities. They offer home and life insurance and often bundle discounts. Many customers have been with the company since the 1980s. Happy reviewers report warm customer service from local agents and prefer the personalized service.

PROS

• Cover many types of vehicles
  • Discounts available
  • Local offices and agents
  • Young driver safety program
  • Offers a mobile app
  • Membership benefits

CONS

• Does not offer 12-month premium quotes
  • Some customers find the claims filing process cumbersome

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

295 Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was involved in a fairly minor MVA, when my rental car was struck by another vehicle in the passenger rear door. The incident occurred after normal business hours and I called and called Farm Bureau but each time I called they hung up on me. I contacted my agent by email and the next day he told me to file a claim on the other driver. Only after consulting with the liability department was I asked to file a claim with Farm Bureau. The claim was assigned to an adjuster who has not been responsive. He didn't even know which car I was driving at the time of the accident. I have called and emailed him many times but he refuses to respond. My agent also refuses to respond. As soon as I get some answers (it doesn't look like I'll get any help from them), I am ditching them and taking my auto and home owners insurance elsewhere.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Asked for a Quote and This Fraudulent Company ran a hard inquiry on our credit WITHOUT OUR APPROVAL. When we contacted them they used every excuse in the book. NO OTHER insurance company has run a hard inquiry on our credit for simply providing a quote. We have used GEICO and USAA for many years and have received many quotes and NEVER HAS A HARD INQUIRY been MADE for a simply QUOTE!! This organization is a FRAUD and the FTC needs to fine them for SHADY PRACTICES. We now have to dispute the hard inquiry with Experian, Equifax and Transunion since WE DID NOT GIVE our PERMISSION for a hard inquiry for a auto insurance QUOTE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been with Farm Bureau for over 25 years. I have been set up on automatic draft since 2012. I will admit I have not paid close attention to my bank statements. I have seen charges come out for Farm Bureau and not thought much about it because I have an account with them for Auto and Home Owners. This past December, I noticed an increased charge of $155 come out of my account in addition to two other Farm Bureau Charges. This did not match any statements that I have received. It caused me to go to my bank and pull a history of my bank statements.

We found that they have been pulling unauthorized drafts out of my bank since Nov. 2012. When I went to their office to confront them, they said that would not happen without a signed consent form. They researched it and did admit that they are not able to locate this form, that it does not seem to exist. It turns out that the extra charges were applied to my adult son's account who I had no idea even had insurance with Farm Bureau.

My son is an adult with his own children and who pays his own bills without help from me. He does happen to share the same middle name as me and that is the only connection I can figure as to how a mistake may have been made to have this charge come out of my account. The response I have gotten from Farm Bureau is "ooops, work it out with your son. We can't help you." They have taken over $6000 from my account without authorization and have no intention to rectify the situation. Very disappointing and frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

As my experience with Farm Bureau. Not too good. Just like Kim from Utica, Mi. I have been having issues getting paid for lost wages. I haven’t worked for almost two months now. I work for a “mom & pop” business so I don’t get short disability or any benefits. However because I live in a no-fault state. We can receive medical and lost wages benefits thru the insurance. I too filled out all my paperwork CORRECTLY. Made copies. Thank GOD! Talked to my place employment. Everything was legit. Mailed express put a tracking on it. Farm Bureau received the mail in the morning two days later. Granted I am not the only person has been car accident and injured. So, waited a week. Called the adjuster. She has not received it. Really! So, she had me email the paperwork. Then tells me she is going on vacation.

So, another week went by. Now it’s three weeks. Called several times, at the time she was back from vacation. No call back. Called the next day. Only for her to tell me that she needs to verify the info! Really!! That she was waiting for my authorization. Well if that was the case. Why couldn’t she just send the paperwork in the first place or recorded our conversation. So, Now it will probably be another two weeks that I might see a check. What the hell?!?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Storms reported in our area in TN. Other neighbors were being taken care of by their insurance companies and agents within a timely manner. My lovely insurance company denied my claim on home and RV as water was pouring in thru both of the ceilings. I had to use buckets to catch the water to prevent further damage to inside of our house.

Farm Bureau denied our claim!! So my husband who is not a licensed contractor made unlicensed repairs to our roof and RV roof. He had to miss work to fix these issues. Thanks for always collecting our premiums every month and not providing service for what you advertise. Time to change insurance!!! Advertise you provide coverage, take premiums from customers and deny my 2 very serious claims. You take my money and then didn't follow thru with your service. Thanks Farm Bureau. Pretty stressful and sad when everyone in my neighbor got their claims completed and my house is sitting here deteriorating with a build up of issues that never gotten taken of. Shame on you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I need someone help me out to complain one agent that he came to my house for inspection and he was nasty. Got in my house with his shoes. His name is Clinton ** at TN State Murfreesboro. Zip code 37128. He was so racist with me. He reported me very bad. Therefor they told me we gonna terminate your policy soon and you need to shop for another insurance company. Yes they got big this company and kicking people don’t like. Anyway I got another insurance company fast. Am going to kick them before they does. My concern is I need someone to help me how to complain about that racist agent that tread me bad. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I'm writing this review not out of spite but to warn others. So they don't go through what I went through in the last year and a half. I have never dealt with such incompetence in my 30 years of owning car insurance. They would cancel our policy with no warning even after paying monthly bill, only to have to restart and pay more out of pocket. This happened 3 times. I was lied to to get is started. Once I was on it, everything changed. I got the insurance because it was not expensive, I was offered insurance by another company, but because I was "loyal" and promised to the Farm Bureau representative and I talked to them first, I chose them. Even when I got dropped, they themselves didn't even know why it happened. As I said, in 30 years of owning insurance, I have never dealt with issues like I have with these people.

Recently, my child was in an accident, he was hit by a semi. He was out of work for a month. TO be able to live in Michigan, we have had to combine our money to survive and afford it. So going without his paycheck for a month, was hard. SO when it happened I went straight to the insurance to get every piece of paperwork I had to have. Filled it out correctly and in detail, got everything they asked me to get. Faxed it to them, which it leaves all the information such as the time it was faxed, the day and who received it.

Dealing with this, I had to deal with 5 different claims Rep for the same exact issue. When I would call they would say it wasn't going through them anymore and it was going through a different person. They jerked me around for weeks. There was another person in the accident in the car with my son. He is still trying to get compensated for all his bills and such. It has been 6 months. When he tries to get in touch with him, they don't believe he doesn't own a car, and that he has never had car insurance, and they refuse to help him unless he fills out a bunch of paperwork.

The hospital has been bothering him for their money. He said "Fine, send me the paperwork" and they still haven't. They were suppose to compensate my son, for the month he was off work. It wasn't until he was back to works, and a few weeks more of me trying to get his money, finally the person told me I didn't send the paperwork they needed to do so. Which in turn, I pulled out my copy of the fax I sent they had EVERY bit of info needed to prove I sent it, which they said I didn't receive. Which I told them I was willing to sue as I had two lawyers at hand willing to help.

The very next day I got a phone call saying that Friday my son would have his money. So basically, we were jerked around for weeks for no reason. We were late on our bills. We had to eat ramen just to get by. I apologize if any of this seems jumbled, I just had to deal with another issue with them. I paid two weeks ago my rental insurance through them, being now a week before it's even due. I just signed on to get some info, and once again, it's gone. Even if you have to pay more money, it is well worth it not to go through these people. This is only half of what has happened. That is all I got to say, besides I'm switching today to Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. Someone rear ended me, got a ticket. Farm Bureau said they would cover everything and I ended up with a $400 rental car bill after using the body shop THEY recommended because the work took so long. The adjuster would never return my calls and I wondered if he even worked there anymore. Very stressful!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The customer service at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance is wonderful. Anytime I have had questions, they have the answers. The coverage is great and the premiums are a lot less than any other insurance company quoted us.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been a long-time member of Farm Bureau, and have had a good overall experience with them. We have been friends with our agent for over 30 years, and every customer service interaction has been very satisfactory. I'm not entirely satisfied with the rates, as we've had only a couple of claims, and they were very small. Despite this, my rates don't go down. In addition, the value given to my pickup during some recent hail damage was not satisfactory. Our car's damage was done fairly. There was no incentive to fix our own damage after a lightning strike, and we ended up costing ourselves money, despite saving the insurance company a significant amount of money on the claim.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had Farm Bureau on my autos, camper and home for 28 years. Never had an issue until here recently when they dropped me out of the blue for trying to add my boyfriend as a driver. I was told that their "All or Nothing" rule says that everyone at my address who has a driver’s license has to be on my policy even if they do not drive my vehicles. They also told me that even with my full coverage policy, I could not let anyone drive my vehicles unless I was with them or they would not pay in the case of an accident. I found out by accident that they had dropped me and I ended up calling them to find out why. They said that because my boyfriend uses my address (even though he doesn't live here yet) and he has a driver’s license was the reason they were terminating my policy. I was given 30 days to get new coverage. I would have never thought they would do me that way after all of the years paying them and being a faithful customer. Very poor business ethics!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My insurance company is pretty good. They do not ding you if you have an accident that isn't your fault. They also don't tend to raise rates often. I have had them for years and even with a claim they were great to me.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Hands down worst experience of my life. Too traumatic to really go into detail. But when you are watching everything you have spent your entire life working for and your loved ones burn in a house fire, the last thing you want to hear from Farm Bureau is "I'm eating. The office will be open later". Things only got worse from there. Tell everyone that you love to stay away from Farm Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

What good reason could a local insurance company like Farm Bureau Insurance have for refusing to provide coverage for damage from a catastrophic hail storm? Why did all of the 112 units in our Town Home community except ours receive full coverage? As a single woman caring for a chronically ill daughter, our house and home is very important to us and we were dismayed to find that we were singled out as the only family not receiving full coverage for this unexpected natural disaster, especially as other larger and reputable insurance companies like Traveler's and American Family Insurance provided full coverage for the entire community.

By falsely processing our claim as a deductible rather than an 'Individual Lot Assessment' (the letter from our HOA clearly stated this was an 'Individual Lot Assessment’) we received only $1,000 instead of the up to $10,000 we were promised by our policy. We can only imagine that the reason behind this is that is must be easy to take advantage of a single woman who has never filed an insurance claim with this company before.

Since this is the first claim I have tried to file, I do not actually know if Farm Bureau Insurance is a fraudulent company, because my many monthly payments have given me no actual return on 'investment'. My HOA rep actually called this situation 'shameful', and I am disappointed to even need to write a review about this sad situation, especially after speaking personally with the Vice President of this poorly run company. Be very careful of being taken advantage of by companies like Farm Bureau Insurance, especially if you are a single woman. Needless to say I am now with a reputable insurance company and have reported this situation to DORA.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After 20+ years with Allstate we thought we would try someone new so we went with Farm Bureau because they were more affordable. With only ONE claim on our policy we are dropped because our dog - who was tied up - bit someone! If we get rid of the dog they will allow us to maintain our policy... Who does that? I will never use them again. We have to pay more for Allstate but I guess you get what you pay for.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have home and auto insurance with Farm Bureau in Prentiss county. I recently had to file a claim due to a storm. A limb went through my roof. I called my agent Glenn and as always he was very nice and helpful and put me at ease. I had never had to file a claim. The adjuster came out with in the next day or two. He also assured me it would be taken care of promptly and it was. I received a check soon after. I chose the contractor and had a new roof within the next week. I couldn't ask for more friendly and a genuine group of people to handle my affairs when something like this happens. I would recommend Farm Bureau to any and everyone!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Filed a claim for wind damage to the roof. Adjustor and her supervisor gave us the constant runaround. We were accused of lying and manually removing shingles off the garage. We were told the roof would not be covered because it wasn't done properly even though we had an inspection 2 years prior to insure the house. This company will do and say anything to get out of covering anything under the policy. No point in paying them for Homeowner's Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

A customer of yours hit my vehicle while my vehicle was parked. Your customer called me to state that she would repair my vehicle because she does not want the insurance to go up. There was no police report because your customer agreed to fix the damage that her son did to my car. Your customer agreed to arrange a rental car for my son to use while his car is being worked on. Later your customer texted my son that she would rather use her insurance to settle the damage since that was part of what she is paying car insurance for.

Donna ** was assigned to be the adjuster for my vehicle. Donna ** spoke with me stating that I should get a quote and take pictures and email to her, and find a body shop to take my vehicle in for repair. We got everything she asked us to get and emailed to her, made an appointment with the body shop, called Donna ** to arrange a rental vehicle like she promised, but she has not responded since the last week in August that we got estimate. I have called and left Donna ** messages, but she has not called me back as of today. No one should be treated and ignored like this knowing that the fault was your customer's son and not my son's. I need urgent attention to this matter.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

An insured of Farm Bureau rear ended me & I swear this has been the worst week ever. He received a ticket for driving too close & his big truck was damaged as well. The man handling the claim, Alvin, is the most unconcerned, rude, passive, cold hearted, mean individual I have ever had to do business with. 5 days has passed & Alvin says he still haven’t talked with his insured about the accident. I find that very hard to believe because his truck was wrecked as well. It was driveable & he didn’t wanna move it. He got it towed to wherever. And he was upset he received a ticket.

Do that sound like someone who will let 5 days pass from the accident without calling his insurance company. All I ask Alvin about is repairing my vehicle & getting me a rental & all he can say is, "We are not paying you nothing" until I talk to my insured. I never said nothing about paying me. All I want is my vehicle repaired & a rental car so I can get to my 2 jobs. But for whatever reason Alvin shows no remorse for the inconvenience that his precious insured has caused me.

All he can tell me is go through my own insurance & pay the deductible. Which is not fair or right to me at all so I will not be doing that. Farm Bureau has poor representation & inconsiderate people working for them. It’s a shame I have to now go on every site I can to let everyone know how rude these people are. Alvin need to be mindful of the way he speak to me cause he can easily be in my shoes one day & I know he wouldn’t appreciate being talked to so bad when you are going through something like this & at the hands of someone else. I have had dealt with other insurance companies with accidents & I have never experienced nothing to this magnitude. Whether it was my insurance company or the person who caused damage to my vehicle. Farm Bureau has the worst customer service.

Original review: July 23, 2018

They are not quick to cancel and handle all my Insurance, Home and vehicles. And I feel that the rate hikes every year are too high especially since we have such a good record. They sent a letter that I did not appreciate last year saying that our deductibles were going up and when I called about it they said I had no say so and it was not up for discussion. Very rude and I did not like that they came and took photos of my home (outside) and property and I had no say so. They have had losses and said they are trying to recoup. I do not have good options in this small town as to switching so I guess they are as good as it gets here. Been with them 18 years and the people in the offices (customer service) are very nice. It's the company's attitude and their adjusters (some of the Agents) that tend to be rude.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I was t-boned by distracted driver who ran red light nearly two years ago and still in midst of mess due to Farm Bureau not paying medical bill beginning with ambulance. Nine months later received notification Medicare was paying bills. Now Medicare is looking for reimbursement and amount is at $10,000 plus. Have lawyer who informed me that due to MI no fault insurance if auto carrier gets away with NOT paying bills til one year anniversary date, I would be responsible for ALL medical bills. Had to start lawsuit against my own insurance, Farm Bureau, to force them to do the right thing and pay bills.

Although they paid most of them, finding Medicare has changed my primary carrier to be Farm Bureau and for any doctor visits, therapy and medical procedures even not related to the accident are being rejected by Medicare. Pay high premium for Medigap policy in conjunction with Medicare but does not cover if claim rejected by Medicare. This whole mess could have been avoided if Farm Bureau had done the right thing to begin with and what I paid premium for in unfortunate event of accident. I recommend everyone avoid Farm Bureau for auto insurance.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Disgusting company that never returns your calls. It's been 2 weeks since they said they would mail me a check for damages their customer did to my car when they backed up into the front of my car in a parking lot.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I realize that they have many clients, however, I’ve been with them for years and pay my premiums semi-annual. Called Erica a week ago to add a vehicle to my policy only to find out I’ve not had insurance since April. Her response is she tried to call. I’m having phone records pulled to verify she did such but regardless when we have been in business together for the length of time and she knows my wife and I travel constantly as well as have several small businesses you would think courtesy would have been to reach out more thoroughly.

Furthermore I’d like to thank her for my lapse and increase in my liability insurance from $250 every six months to a now $850 every six months. Completely unacceptable. I don’t care about the policy of Farm Bureau. I care that my insurance agent after all these years didn’t have the courtesy to reach out more thoroughly and get ahold of my wife or myself to make sure that our insurance didn’t relapse. Thank you Erica. Do NOT recommend this company at all.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I like the speed in getting claims resolved and in adding a new auto. Also so helpful, both agent and his office staff. I contacted the claims dept, someone came out, told me what they would be paying and I got a check within 5 days. I have had Florida Farm Bureau since 1986 and they are the best.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I've had no issues or problems whatsoever with Farm Bureau. Love it for sure. They have affordable rates, not a long line to wait. Fast and quick to get a vehicle added or removed off policy. The only thing I dislike is they do not offer commercial policies.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It was local and was the best over all price. They bundled my auto and home together. They offered either monthly, semi-monthly or yearly payments also. However the membership fee does not really cover many different offers. It is mainly a very small discount on products that you would not normally purchase all the time. Over all, Texas Farm Bureau Insurance has been a very good insurance company. I have only had to make one small claim, but they were there for me during the hurricanes.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My family has always used Farm Bureau. They are locally available and we can also bundle them. While they do a good job, your rates go up for minor fender benders. And although Farm Bureau gives a discount for safe driving, 1 minor fender bender and you are not eligible for the discount for another 3-5 years. That is ridiculous. Also, I wish that you could pay through a complete year with Farm Bureau. I would like to pay in January not December. Also, they could be cheaper.

Original review: May 27, 2018

The prices are wonderful and competitive. They are the cheapest around town and it don't break my budget and I have two vehicles and additional insurance with them. Also, wonderful customer service. Always ready to greet me with a smile and answer all my questions. They don't make me feel silly when I have a question. They are not only respectful towards me but they also understand the fact that we work hard for our money so they help find the best rate. So their competitiveness was awesome.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. It is the cheapest insurance I have found yet. I have used Progressive and they charged me almost double what I currently pay. I like the fact that it is a small local company and the fact that it is cheaper. The office is very warm and inviting. Always clean and smells nice just like being at home. I also know when I go into pay my bill the girls there are always kind. They explain each policy and what it covers with reasonable rates and small start up fees. And every year they have a customer appreciation day for families.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It is easy to file a claim and getting the payment is easy as well at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance. Takes no time. The Shelby branch is awesome customer service but the prices could be a lot better. And paying a 25.00 fee each year and I get nothing in return for that fee. I do not own a farm so the fee they charge I get nothing from it.

Farm Bureau expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.

• Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.

• Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps to prepare young drivers for the road while offering a premium insurance discount.

• Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.

• Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.

• Best for: Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky