Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Farm Bureau Auto Insurance
2.27/5

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farm Bureau is not just for farmers or those in rural communities. They offer home and life insurance and often bundle discounts. Many customers have been with the company since the 1980s. Happy reviewers report warm customer service from local agents and prefer the personalized service.

PROS

• Cover many types of vehicles
  • Discounts available
  • Local offices and agents
  • Young driver safety program
  • Offers a mobile app
  • Membership benefits

CONS

• Does not offer 12-month premium quotes
  • Some customers find the claims filing process cumbersome

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

I been with Farm Bureau for years with my personal coverages but just recently switched my business insurance to them as well. The prices are much lower than what I was paying and I feel that I really understand what they do. Michael is my agent and she is excellent! The girls who work the front are knowledgeable and great at their jobs. I highly recommend this company!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The customer service at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance is wonderful. Anytime I have had questions, they have the answers. The coverage is great and the premiums are a lot less than any other insurance company quoted us.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been a long-time member of Farm Bureau, and have had a good overall experience with them. We have been friends with our agent for over 30 years, and every customer service interaction has been very satisfactory. I'm not entirely satisfied with the rates, as we've had only a couple of claims, and they were very small. Despite this, my rates don't go down. In addition, the value given to my pickup during some recent hail damage was not satisfactory. Our car's damage was done fairly. There was no incentive to fix our own damage after a lightning strike, and we ended up costing ourselves money, despite saving the insurance company a significant amount of money on the claim.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My insurance company is pretty good. They do not ding you if you have an accident that isn't your fault. They also don't tend to raise rates often. I have had them for years and even with a claim they were great to me.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been calling my agent for 3 months. Now asking when I will receive my check for hail damage to my car. EVERY time I call, I get the same response, "They're waiting on Corporate". VERY DISAPPOINTED!! FARM BUREAU DOES NOT PUT THEIR CUSTOMERS FIRST!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I was coming home from work when I and another driver in the lane next to mine was struck by a hit and run driver who was passing three lanes of traffic on a five lane highway. The result? The insurance company paid to have the other drivers car fixed, and then tacked 2 points on my license, though the police report stated there was no fault due to a hit and run. I guess you get what you pay for. I canceled the policy and went with State Farm. Lazy insurance adjusters, cut rate customer service, you’ll get all this and then some with Farm Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Our son was using our truck and inched out of an aisle at a storage lot when a man driving lawn care equipment speeding and slammed into our truck. Our son was stopped, with witnesses and the driver was across the lane in the opposite side of the road and totaled our truck. The speed limit was 5 miles an hour. The claims agent for Farm Bureau said they couldn't say the speeding driver on the wrong side of the road was at least 55 percent responsible for the accident, really!! What kind of BS is this? We have pictures, a lot video and another witness saying they saw this guy speeding. How can that be, seriously. We hope our insurance co. sues them to get their money back for the truck. Does anyone know what we can do to fight this? The accident was in Avon IN.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Would not properly re-investigate an accident I was accused of causing when the other driver was distracted and speeding. I sustained serious injuries while the other driver was unscathed. I contacted GMC who was able to retrieve black box data (crash info) on my vehicle. The other driver is also insured with this same company. Farm Bureau is negligent about retrieving black box data on this other vehicle which would prove he caused the accident and they could recoup their payout losses.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Back when I signed up, they charged my account before they even told me if I was approved or not. My account supposedly rejected the charge, although my bank showed no record of it. I was charged a $25 late fee on my very first payment, with absolutely no effort to resolve the issue despite acknowledgement from my bank that the charge was never filed.

Fast forward 5 months and another charge is rejected. Again, the credit union that I use shows no attempt by them to charge my account despite the 11th being my automatic renewal date every month. The next day, the 12th, my life insurance policy payment is processed without issue. Again, billing is unwilling to work with me in the spirit of good customer service. At least this time they're allowing me to dispute the late fee by showing them a statement indicating that I had the money to cover their charge, and getting a letter from my credit union saying that refunding money due to an unrelated fraudulent charge on my account on the day the payment was supposed to be taken is the reason for the mistake.

I have been driving for 13 years and have obviously had insurance for each of those years. This is the first time (and the second time) I have ever had an insurance company, or any company for that matter, screw up an automatic payment and not even attempt to make their own mistake right. Do not purchase insurance with this company. If you have the choice, don't do business with them at all. I have never had so many headaches involved with my relationship as a consumer to the company I am trying to do business with. I started out giving them the benefit of the doubt when they screwed up my very first payment, but I have canceled my policy and will never look back. I advise you skip the middleman and do the same.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I called Farm Bureau in Morrilton to get a quote for home insurance. I was told I would get a significant deduction if I also insured my autos with them. I received the quotes, one with autos added (with home policy) and one just for the home policy. The price was such that we decided to take the home policy and transfer our 3 auto to Farm Bureau, also increasing the coverage on the 3 autos. This happened on 7/22/19 working with Stephanie **, whom I was told could do anything Jonathan ** (Agent) could do.

Today 7/26/19, Stephanie called and began to ask me all over again, questions about the 2 fireplaces in the house. I gave her the same answers I gave her the first time, only now, she says, she must increase our premiums to cover wood heat. I informed her that she and I had already had the conversation regarding fireplaces and it all should have been covered in the original quote she provided. Her answer was, it did not get included and oh that she was sorry.

Now, I based my decisions on her quote, trusting that she was providing me an accurate quote of my premiums. Now that I have moved all my cars to Farm Bureau, and purchased a new policy for homeowners insurance, she is changing the premium I was quoted. This is something akin to a bait and switch, only the thing that gets switched is premiums. I can't even say how much the difference amounted to, I was so mad, I told her, "Do what you have to do." I guess it is around $150 extra. Having to pay for the privilege of doing business with them I expected far more from this experience. At the very least I expected the premiums they quote to be accurate. Sheila **

Farm Bureau expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers insurance to a wide range of vehicles at competitive prices. The company was founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1939 and has over 1,600 employees.

• Great discounts: Farm Bureau offers discounts and benefits for drivers with multiple cars, good students, drivers that are claim-free and more.

• Coverage for a variety of vehicles: In addition to cars, they also offer coverage for vans, RVs and motorcycles.

• Young driver safety program: They offer a young driver safety program that helps prepare young drivers for the road while giving them a premium insurance discount.

• Roadside assistance: Farm Bureau offers emergency roadside assistance in the event of an unexpected accident or breakdown.

• Members app: Being a member gives you access to many discounts and perks, and you can manage these through their easy-to-use mobile app.

• Best for: Drivers with multiple cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky