Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farm Bureau Auto Insurance
2.02/5

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance provides all types of auto and property insurance to U.S. customers. Farm Bureau doesn't participate in InsuraMatch's program. To get multiple auto quotes at once, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farm Bureau is not just for farmers or those in rural communities. They offer home and life insurance and often bundle discounts. Many customers have been with the company since the 1980s. Happy reviewers report warm customer service from local agents and prefer the personalized service.

PROS

• Cover many types of vehicles
  • Discounts available
  • Local offices and agents
  • Young driver safety program
  • Offers a mobile app
  • Membership benefits

CONS

• Does not offer 12-month premium quotes
  • Some customers find the claims filing process cumbersome

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

298 Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 27, 2018

The prices are wonderful and competitive. They are the cheapest around town and it don't break my budget and I have two vehicles and additional insurance with them. Also, wonderful customer service. Always ready to greet me with a smile and answer all my questions. They don't make me feel silly when I have a question. They are not only respectful towards me but they also understand the fact that we work hard for our money so they help find the best rate. So their competitiveness was awesome.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance. It is the cheapest insurance I have found yet. I have used Progressive and they charged me almost double what I currently pay. I like the fact that it is a small local company and the fact that it is cheaper. The office is very warm and inviting. Always clean and smells nice just like being at home. I also know when I go into pay my bill the girls there are always kind. They explain each policy and what it covers with reasonable rates and small start up fees. And every year they have a customer appreciation day for families.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It is easy to file a claim and getting the payment is easy as well at Farm Bureau Auto Insurance. Takes no time. The Shelby branch is awesome customer service but the prices could be a lot better. And paying a 25.00 fee each year and I get nothing in return for that fee. I do not own a farm so the fee they charge I get nothing from it.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Farm Bureau is a large, trustworthy company. We have been with them for 15 yrs. Their rates were lower than our previous company we had been with for 25+ years. Rates stay about the same without regular increases. Also, discounts for good driving record and for multiple coverages for homeowners and health. Very workable with repairs and lots of choices to get repairs. I have excellent experience filing a claim and they have immediate response to getting repair. Very pleased.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have Farm Bureau insurance and I have my homeowners insurance with them also. My agent is so good to me and is really awesome. He make sure I have the rates I can afford due to the health conditions of my husband and I. He has given me the best price ever. He always is very personable with me and just one of the best agents I could ever find. If I could afford it I would like to have lower deductibles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farm Bureau?

Original review: May 19, 2018

Filing process itself is easy later held against you. Had to have a couple of windshields replaced. Later at renewal was forced to put 0 deductible comprehensive to $500 deductible or threatened to drop coverage. Was told by agent it would be for 6 months. After 6 months was up same agent then said underwriting told him 1 yr. After year was up agent’s assistant told me that it was set up for 3 years and they would not change it. Also was in an accident that was not my fault. Other driver was charged but I was injured and he had no bodily injury coverage. Was advised by my NCFBINS agent that I needed to file an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim for my medical bills to be paid. I did but they never paid my bills. After a full year, my medical insurance finally paid my dr/hospital bill. NCFBINS used it against me threatening to drop my insurance if I didn’t raise my comprehensive deductible from 0 to $500.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I like to do my business local whenever possible. Online insurance may be for some people but not me. I want to be able to stop by and talk to my agent in person. I have Elite coverage but it doesn't replace my vehicle with a newer one just blue book value???? However my local agent is so helpful and for now I am satisfied and don't plan on going anywhere else in the near future.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Over the course of our years with Farm Bureau, we have had many different insurance reps and they are always polite and helpful. Although we have not had many claims over the last 20 years with Farm Bureau, they have always treated us well and quickly when we have had one. In fact, we had a 2015 Corvette Stingray that we bought for our daughter in college in another state and it was damaged in a flood. They made it very easy despite the vehicle being in another state.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Farm Bureau is a good insurance company and they have good customer service. Filing a claim was very simple and we were quickly sent a check to pay for the necessary repairs. They review claims and help with whatever is necessary for repairs. However, their rates are very high when compared with other companies but we have chosen to remain with them because the service is so much better.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance has pricey premiums but provide good customer service in a timely manner. I filed a claim after a car accident that was not my fault. Reimbursed me for the value of my car.

Original review: May 4, 2018

If I could give a negative rating I would. My wife was rear ended 12/1/2017 by a Farm Bureau customer. The accident pushed our car in to a bigger truck which then totaled the front end of my vehicle. Long story short my car was totaled. I lost my shirt on the transaction. Darin ** (agent) wouldn’t consider the the brand new tires, updated electronic system etc. Needless to say it took a considerable amount of money to get the same quality vehicle. The communication with the agent has been one sided totally. All done by me. The only time he would call is when I was considering settling.

My wife and the passenger in the car had to go to the chiropractor for most of 4 months. They wouldn't cover the passenger's medical bills until she was done. Leaving her to cover them until settled. We had to claim on our insurance and have them go after the fees from Farm Bureau. Without a call, we received a very low offer for compensation with the wrong claim number on it and a different one on the passenger offer. I have now spent 5 months trying to get this solved. There should be compensation for the efforts on our part!! This company is terrible with communication. I’m seriously considering legal action if we don’t get a respectable offer in the next 5 days. THIS ACCIDENT WAS TOTALLY THEIR CLIENT'S FAULT. WHY ARE WE BEING TREATED THIS WAY.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Grant ** is the rudest person. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE! Their insured hit our truck.. he came to look at the truck and didn't even make contact with us when he come. We got a letter in the mail and a check for 1,700. I called to get an explanation of how it worked and he said "if I give you 190,00 for that 2013 would you be happy?" I said "Sure but that's not even realistic." He continued to tell me I wouldn't be happy no matter what he did... All I wanted to know was... you sent me a check for 1,700 where can I get my truck fixed for that amount? All the estimates got were for 2,500.00. He never gave me an answer! I have been in HR and office management for 30 years and I WOULD FIRE ANYONE WHO TALKED TO OUR CUSTOMERS THAT WAY.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Did not have the option to rate -5 stars or I most certainly would have!! Would never recommend this company to anyone. Had a motorcycle stolen almost a year ago. They say they have up to 12 months to make a decision... Does not mean they have to or that they should. But they will. Waited 8 months only to find out they rejected the claim and we will get nothing. Out a motorcycle and money for a new one. Do not go with this company. Actually go anywhere else!! TERRIBLE at returning phone calls. But GREAT at communicating when it comes time to sending your bill. Absolutely ridiculous and a sorry excuse for an insurance company.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Don't be fooled by the good ol boy commercials. You'll be good ol boyed to death by them! Terrible response time. Lack of knowledge when they do call you back just plain lack of compassion period! We pay a fee to be a MEMBER right? You would think this meant you were in a special group to be treated differently. Maybe a little better. That's the feeling you tell yourself when you pay that fee but... Wrong. 7 months since I made a claim and they tell me they'll call or email. They don't. No one EVER knows what's going on when I call. If you're reading this to decide if you want Farm Bureau Ins... Don't. There's a thing called THE MCKENZIE BIBLE. Look it up. They live and breathe what is in it. They are responsible to their stockholders period. We are 2nd... Maybe 3rd. Just because LEGALLY they can take up to a year to give you a decision on your claim. Doesn't make it RIGHT or mean that they should. But they will because they can.

Save your member fee. Go online and find the cheapest insurance you can because in the end if you have a claim it's not gonna matter who your company is. It's a business period. An investment group who tilts the odds in their favor! Also... When they give you that 1 inch stack of papers at first... Read them very carefully before you sign them. They might be standard to them but it's anything but... And they WILL use it against you should you have to give a deposition and then those good ol boy commercials will turn into Law and Order!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

We have been with this company for years. They require a annual membership of $25-$30 which is not a big deal in the scheme of things if they are a good company. However after years of being with them I found out today that they did not renew my auto insurance and really did a horrible job of communicating that to me. I paid my membership through my bank's bill pay in October. I received a letter stating that if I had not already paid my membership I needed to do so by the date my auto insurance would renew. I checked my account and saw I had already paid it so I felt I was good.

Apparently, there was an issue with the bank payment being collected by the insurance company. They did not notify us to let us know that they were not renewing the auto insurance. When I did not get the new cards I looked online and saw they still had our homeowners listed but not the auto insurance. I called and they said since we did not pay our membership they did not renew the auto policy. Who does that. Loses a customer of $25 without a phone call??? If that is all the value they have for me as a customer, then I will no longer trust them with my house and automobiles. I wanted to leave a review so that anyone that might be considering them would be aware that what they say about caring for their customers was not true for us.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I canceled my policy with them due to the fact when I changed cars with them, they were still charging me with two policies instead of one. They said that because of their billing and the way my EFT was set up, that was the problem of not being able to cancel the one policy. A HORRIBLE COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Does not answer phones... does not call back..and does not have their clients' best interests... does not update policies as requested by clients, instead they cancel you when they have been negligent. Not answering the phone is A HORRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS! Thanks for nothing after vultures destroyed my $10,000. new roof! Water destroyed my upstairs and KFB denied my claim!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had a house fire and 9 months later still not resolved. They were ready to fix it right away but I didn't want to use the people they wanted me to use. My policy expired and they upped it over 1000. I was kinda stuck because who was going to insure My house being burned (so they thought). Claims Adjuster will not call back and they have a lawyer also which will not call back and all he does is stall and start their 30 Days over. I give them what they want but somehow they always find something that they need. If you're dealing with them in Michigan and you're having problems The state will help. If you're looking for insurance look some place that cares about people because they do not!!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance offers the best value for the money. Their rates are reasonable and they are always easy to get in touch with. They responded quickly when I needed to file a claim. I called my agent and he said to get a quote and let him know. I went to one shop. He took my estimate and I got paid quickly.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Couldn't continue home insurance through them for a new house purchase because they couldn't get anyone over there to take pictures in a timely manner (even though I had an appraisal and a home inspection report with pictures). The pictures must be made by "their" camera. After I moved, my auto insurance premium increased mid policy. Evidently I moved to a "bigger" town. I understand that there are complex formulas that go into insurance premiums but to raise someone's premium during the middle of their policy seems ridiculous to me. Looks like it's time to start insurance shopping again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Met Farm Bureau in Indiana on a farm. Now Florida farm bureau. Been with them close to 40 years now and they're a great company! There aren't a lot of ads, just great prices and service. I picked up the phone and called them. Told them what happened. Rear-ended by a hit and run driver. They sincerely apologized to me, saying how sorry they were this had happened to me. I had to wait several hours for the police to come and fill out the report. I sent it to Farm Bureau and they did the rest. Paid my claim, got me a rental car, car got fixed at dealership...done! What could be better than a lifetime of perfect service?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

**EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM FARM BUREAU!!! I have been with them since I started driving. My car is in the shop for almost a week and the adjuster finally looked at my car yesterday!!! They were suppose to look at it the next day NOT 6 DAYS LATER!! They will not cover my damages saying they can or cannot determine the damages to my vehicle is related to the cause. I told them there are only 2 other causes. 1 a wreck (but we know this is not true because there is no outside damage) or 2. I took a crowbar and damaged my own radiator. He said, "Well the cost to fix it is less than your deductible." I said no. So far it's $882 and my deductible is $500.

He said, "Well you shouldn't have taken it to the dealership!" And furthermore I am paying OUT OF POCKET for my rental car. They will not pay for a rental until the adjuster looks at the car. Remind you it took 6 days for them to look at it and I am home alone with 2 little kids and had to work for 4 days! Told them I have always recommended them, but now I will let everyone know how they really are and will be changing insurance companies!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had a claim when I was hit over a week ago and now no one at Farm Bureau is returning my calls. This is horrible customer service. No one seems to know what the other one is doing in regards to my claim and I am getting the run around. What a waste of my time. When I pay these high premiums monthly, I am paying for someone to take care of thing when an accident occurs! I will definitely be shopping for other insurance if they cannot help me in a timely manner.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I chose this insurance with one factor being the agents office was local under a mile from my residence. Two auto policies and two homeowner policies. After having the insurance for a short time, I was informed that I was assigned a new agent in a different town. During the first upsell meetings they solicited to me, I traveled to this town at the convenience of the agents schedule. I traveled to the other town to see what it was about. I quickly learned that it was a life insurance situation and declined.

It was not long before the agents assistant called to arrange another meeting at their office. I declined again and told them to make note not to contact me about this again. I also told her not to contact me by phone anymore as well. Several months later the agents assistant called again about the same thing. I sternly told her that I have declined it already and have no interest in receiving anymore solicitations about it. I then told her that if I was contacted again about the same thing, that I would cancel my policies with them. I then emailed the agent requesting to have me changed to someone local. She refused to do this. Several months later, again assistant calling same situation. I contacted the corporate office to have my agent and was told someone would contact me. Nobody contacted me. I have been lied to by this insurance agency and nobody seems to care about the customers. Terrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I was recently hurt on my daddy's farm, his horse stepped on my foot and crushed it, 2 weeks in the med and 4 surgeries. My daddy has insurance with Farm Bureau, accidental that covers $105,000. However, I contacted them about my accident and they informed me that they were very sorry but because it was my daddy's farm they were not liable to pay. However, I am not crippled, a single mother with two children.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My husband is was involved in a motorcycle accident and had Farm Bureau Insurance. He was overnight in intensive care. We are now being sent to collections because there are many bills not paid. Come to find out the insurance is exhausted, but the adjuster hasn't made an exhaustion letter to these people so our medical insurance will pay. We had no idea this needed to be done, and now we are in collections for all this debt. Not good!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Had my insurance with Farm Bureau for over 20 years. The first time you have to file a claim they make a big issue out of it and is ready to drop you. What happen to all the premiums you've paid all those years? What's the point of having insurance if you can't use it in the time of need? Farm Bureau sucks! I'm no longer with these people.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had car and homeowner insurance with Farm Bureau. This was the worst experience with an agent/insurance company that I ever had. I have had no tickets or accidents. My rate changed 3 times. I sold a car and they raised my rates $1200 a year. I was only pay $400 for the car premiums. When I asked they said it was because I went from 5 to 4 cars. I asked to have the policy reviewed about 6 weeks before it renewed. The agent said they could not review my policy until it renewed because of the way the system worked. I found a different insurance company that was significantly less. I tried to cancel and they said they could not cancel because we were within the 10 day period before the automatic payment.

The agent also told me multiple times that they collected the first month plus a second month in case there were problems with the automatic payments. It took 3 tries to get my policy cancelled. When I cancelled they sent me a bill for a part month. When I called they said that they did not collect an additional payment. That it just the first month payment. The first month payment was double which cost me an addition $350 dollars. On my house it has been 6 weeks and I have still not got my refund on my house premium. All they will say is that it is being processed. I would never use them again. This was the worst insurance experience I have had.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Auto accident I am the victim. She got the ticket rear ended me. 3/8/2017. Local Texas Farm Bureau insurance agent took 1.5 months to answer back my initial calls I made 3/9/2017, 3/15/2017 etc... They have yet 8/25/2017 to replace my car, pay for my medical, no rental car during this time and I am still making payments on my totaled car and insurance for that total car that I cannot drive. Agent and his supervisor very condescending in their communication style.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Set up a new car insurance account with them, paid in full for 6 months upfront. Received a call 2 weeks later that they wanted me to also add home insurance to my policy. Told them it wasn't needed. Received a check canceling my policy... For half of what I paid them!!! They will rip you off, and won't be able to tell you why. Find another company if you can; I'd hate to see what would happen if someone has an accident with their coverage.

Farm Bureau Auto Insurance Company Information