Best Car Insurance in Memphis, TN
Car insurance is an absolute must for drivers in Memphis, not only because the law requires it, but also to protect your wallet if you get into an accident. We created this list of the best car insurance companies in Memphis to help you find the right coverage at an affordable rate.
Top 9 Memphis Car Insurance Companies
|EverQuote Insurance Services|
Insurance marketplace with a free online comparison tool for auto, home, renters, life and health insurance quotes. Enter your parameters and get quotes from the top providers in minutes.
|All About Auto Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Provides car insurance options for high-risk drivers. Offers free car insurance quotes online or by phone.
|Autoplan Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Provides quotes online or by phone. Employs Spanish-speaking agents. Assists customers by phone or in person at one of 15 locations.
|AutoSave Insurance Agency||Read Expert Review|
Locally owned and operated third-generation family business. Offers car insurance for high-risk and nonstandard drivers. Provides free quotes online.
|Bill Blake Auto Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Over 50 years of experience. Specializes in high-risk insurance policies. Operates three Memphis branch locations. Provides free online quotes.
|Direct Auto Insurance Memphis||Read Expert Review|
Has 12 Memphis locations. Request a free quote in-store, online or by phone. Offers discounts to safe drivers, senior citizens, good students and military. No checking account or credit card required.
|Ephlin Insurance Group, Inc.||Read Expert Review|
Get quotes on the company’s website for free or by calling toll-free. Save money by bundling insurance policies and installing the SmartRide app for safe driving rewards.
|Kellett Insurance Agency||Read Expert Review|
Get a free car insurance quote in person or on the phone. Save money for safe driving, insuring multiple vehicles and having proof of prior insurance.
|Keltner Insurance||Read Expert Review|
Offers numerous discounts, including some for bundling insurance policies, good driving records and energy-efficient vehicles. Provides free quotes by phone, email or online.
Car insurance is a necessity in Memphis. Not only does the law require you to have auto insurance, but it’s a smart way to protect yourself financially in case of an accident or theft. Memphis has close to 100 car crashes per day, and the city’s vehicle theft rate is triple the national average. It may cost more upfront, but going beyond the cheapest car insurance in Tennessee helps you save money in the long run.
How much is car insurance in Memphis?
The typical cost for car insurance in Memphis ranges between $45 a month for state minimum liability insurance and $150 a month for full coverage.
Many factors determine car insurance premiums, including the neighborhood you live in. Living in a neighborhood with high rates of vehicle theft and vandalism tends to increase your car insurance premiums.
The table below gives the annual cost of various levels of car insurance coverage for a 30-year-old woman living in different Memphis neighborhoods.
|Colonial Acres - 38117||$1,512||$624||$588|
|Downtown - 38126||$1,752||$660||$612|
|Hollywood - 38127||$1,728||$672||$624|
|Midtown - 38104||$1,728||$660||$624|
|Parkway Village- 38118||$1,704||$660||$612|
|Whitehaven - 38109||$1,740||$672||$624|
Your ZIP code isn’t the only piece of personal information that affects the price of your car insurance premiums. Auto insurance companies also look at your:
- Make and model of vehicle
- Driving history (moving violations and tickets)
- Credit score
The last major factor that affects your car insurance premium is your deductible. Generally, policies with higher deductibles have lower monthly premiums. However, high-deductible plans require you to spend more out of pocket if you ever need to file a claim.
If you’re not sure you can afford full coverage, check out our tips for saving money on your car insurance.
Tennessee auto insurance requirements
Tennessee law requires drivers to have auto insurance. The state requires drivers to have at least minimum liability car insurance that covers damages or injuries resulting from an accident. The minimum coverage requirement in Memphis is 25/50/15, meaning the cheapest policies must include:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 for property damage per accident
If you don’t have car insurance or your car insurance policy covers less than the state’s requirements, you’re committing a Class C misdemeanor. This can result in fines, license suspension and a stop on your account that prevents you from renewing your vehicle registration.
Uninsured drivers are bad for everyone. If you get into an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be stuck with the bill, even if you have insurance. This is more common than you think: Nearly 1 in 5 Tennessee drivers are uninsured, according to the Insurance Research Council. Make sure your policy has uninsured motorist coverage to protect yourself from other drivers’ carelessness.
Memphis car insurance FAQ
- Why are Tennessee’s rates so high?
- Car insurance carriers adjust their rates based on how much they have to spend holding up their end of the policy. This means that Tennessee’s traffic conditions, crime rates and weather all contribute to your premium cost before the insurer even factors in your personal information.
- Is Tennessee a PIP state?
- No, Tennessee does not require drivers to have personal injury protection to cover medical expenses for you or your passengers if you get into an accident.
- How do I find SR-22 insurance in Memphis?
- Most companies on our list offer SR-22 insurance. When drivers get their license suspended for a DUI or driving without insurance, Tennessee requires them to file an SR-22 form with the Department of Safety to reinstate their license. You can file an SR-22 for a total of five years; however, if you don’t receive any more suspensions, it may be canceled after just three years.
- What is the penalty for not having car insurance in Tennessee?
- You can lose your license, have your vehicle registration suspended and have to pay fines. Not having car insurance in Tennessee is a Class C misdemeanor.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Memphis auto insurance company information
Direct Auto Insurance has car insurance policies that cover cars, vans, SUVs and trucks. Customers can also add towing and rental reimbursement to their insurance policies. Customers work directly with local agents to file claims.
- Address: 1517 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 276-3233
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 5:30pm; Sat: 9am - 2pm
- Website: local.directauto.com/tennessee/memphis
Bill Blake Auto Insurance offers policies for high-risk drivers who have a hard time getting car insurance in Memphis. Its policies cover cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, and the company does not require a down payment.
- Address: 5724 Mount Moriah Road, Memphis, TN 38115; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 432-5551
- Hours: M - Sat: 9am - 5pm
- Website: billblakeins.com
Kellett Insurance Agency works with Progressive, Dairyland Insurance, The General and Bristol West to provide auto insurance to Memphis residents. Policies are available for trucks, cars, SUVs, vans and motorcycles.
- Address: 4608 Quince Road, Memphis, TN 38117
- Phone: (901) 685-3008
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 5pm; Sat: 9:30am - 12pm
- Website: kellettinsuranceagency.com
AutoSave Insurance Agency works with several insurance carriers, including Bristol West, Foremost, Mendota and Unique Insurance Co. Customers can make payments through AutoSave’s website.
- Address: 2550 Poplar Ave., Memphis, TN 38112
- Phone: (901) 458-1630
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 5:30pm
- Website: autoinsurancememphistn.com
All About Auto Insurance works with more than 15 national and regional insurance carriers, including Progressive, Dairyland Auto and Kemper. Customers can pay their bills online, but they must contact the insurance carrier on their policy to file a claim.
- Address: 4132 Jackson Ave., Memphis, TN 38128; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 379-0577
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 1pm
- Website: allaboutautoins.com
Autoplan Insurance’s policies have low down payments and don’t require credit checks. Customers can make payments online and receive discounts for insuring multiple vehicles and bundling home and auto insurance policies.
- Address: 3520 Elvis Presley Blvd., Memphis, TN 38116; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 255-1000
- Hours: M - Th: 9am - 5:30pm; F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 9am - 5:30pm
- Website: getautoplan.com
Keltner Insurance works with close to 20 car insurance carriers, including Allied, Dairyland Auto, Foremost and MetLife. With so many carriers, Keltner has policies for any type of vehicle.
- Address: 3232 S. Perkins Road, Memphis, TN 38118; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 375-9979
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 5:30pm
- Website: keltnerins.com
Ephlin Insurance Group is an exclusive Nationwide dealer with an office in Bartlett. Car insurance is available for standard vehicles as well as classic cars, RVs, scooters and motorcycles.
- Address: 8099 Stage Hills Blvd., Ste. 102, Bartlett, TN 38133; Multiple locations
- Phone: (901) 757-2315
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 5pm
- Website: ephlininsurancegroup.com
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!