Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
American Family Insurance - Auto
1.44/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

342 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Played phone tag with claims adjustor Taryn ** several times. Called her back, more than she called me, left many messages. She returned calls at the end of the day when she was leaving office. Then sent a letter in the mail stating she had closed her investigation, finding me (not insured by AmFam) at fault. Go figure. Called her and left another message. Had to call into 1-800 number and go through the sales side to find her supervisor's number who ALSO didn't answer her phone. Left a VM. Got a return call saying investigation was closed.

I asked how that was possible since I just received a letter stating that if I disagreed or had more to add (like my entire statement!) that might alter the outcome to call. I told her I was in fact calling to try to make a statement. She was adamant that the investigation was closed but that she could get a claims adjustor on the line for me to make a statement. I asked what the point of that would be now that she's adamant that the investigation is closed and won't be reopened. She lied and told me they had sent letters... No letters have been received.

VERY UNIMPRESSED with Rachel **, incompetent supervisor of incompetent claims adjustor Taryn **. Rachel refused to give me the name and info of her supervisor. I suppose another complaint would not look good on her record. Their insured is a scam artist who hits commercial vehicles and claims he was hit. He had to open his vehicle doors with a makeshift hook. They have chosen to cover their own rear ends (no surprise) and not do an actual investigation. SHAME ON RACHEL ** AND TARYN **!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They are expensive enough to believe you're getting quality insurance, but they dont care a dime about you, only interested in your dime. I had a wonderful agent but this is a terrible company. I was with them for years and leaving because it obvious they could care less if I leave or not.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I hope and pray that we never again get hit by a insured who has American Family Insurance Coverage. The corrupt nightmare started with their insured trying to intimidate my younger daughter into not contacting his insurance. After taking a picture of his license plate before he drove off we were able to have my daughter drive 2 hours to the police district office to file an accident report. Once the Milwaukee District police took their time in hunting down the insured they provided us with a police report.

Once my husband and I obtained that we contacted American Family to file a claim and inform them that we already had a reputable and trusted body shop where we dropped the car off to get repaired while we were leaving town back in July of 2018. We informed American Family and sent them the formal estimate and told American Family to pay the body shop direct. This is where the second nightmare and corruption that is rapid in the company and so ingrained in everyone you talk with...

American Family sent their inexperienced, ignorant about high end car repairs to the body shop and told them to lower their hourly labor amount they pay their employees because that is not the contracted rate they have with other body shops they give all their work to. The estimator also told the body shop he had to use second hand parts and not to replace all the bumper but instead pound out part of it. This estimator was out of touch with reality. She then left a message on our voicemail that her decision was final and she was leaving town for a family issue and could not be reached.

Upon getting that insane voicemail message my husband and I tried to talk with higher level management which were Mr. Tom **, Mr. Ben ** who told me that American Family’s philosophy is to quickly repair your car, (Not Properly with the best and new parts), take oversight over the job, (which actually means they call or visit the body shop and negotiate your car repairs to fit their dollar allocation).

Follow industry standards (which really means get you to take your car to their contracted body shops or they do not pay the entire repair estimate amount), leverage these repairs, (which really means they try to shove down your throat that Gerber Glass Repair shop is a reputable body shop to do matching die lot paint repair on your car) and says they warranty the body shops work (which means that when your paint job and clear coat does not match the rest of your car you can keep fighting with the body shop to repaint your entire car which will never happen and the value of your car plummeted and will not even be bought by a wholesaler of used cars).

None of these nightmares which is the main business model of American Family on their website too would be a problem if they let the person who was not at fault choose the body shop they know and trust to do the work. American Family even tried to get us to accept a several hundred dollar lower estimate by sending the check to me instead of the body shop. They are so corrupt and ignorant that I had to inform them that you cannot send a check for repairs to the nonregistered owner on the vehicle’s title. They then issued a new check under my husband's name but still would not pay the body shop the car was at.

After more intense telephone conversations with upper management that led to not paying the estimated bill I contacted body shops across the country and asked what their rate would be if I had a bumper and trunk damage to my car that needed repair and the first question they asked me was who was the insurance company that was going to pay the repairs at which time he pulled out his contract with that insurance company and quoted their rates and repair policies for your car. Not the best practices to fix your car but the cheapest way to fix your car because that is all that American Family will pay them. THIS IS PRICE GOUGING AND MARKET MONOPOLY IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

My husband and I tried to talk common sense to the following list of American Family Employees who in our opinions should not have their jobs anymore. Ben ** even told me to go out and get more estimates and then send them to him at ** and then he would have Michael ** and Julie ** (his claim adjusters, which they call Auto Physical Damage Team) call that shop and renegotiate my estimate. When I said that was illegal he gave me his private email listed above and said to deal with him “directly”. Jessica ** was part of this scam.

Mr. Tom ** was also part of the management team who pushed us onto Ben **. You can reach these people at ** (no one gives out their direct extensions or telephone numbers because they do not want you to contact them). I only got these because I told them I was aware of the scam on how they pay out claims and force people to take their cars to their contracted body shops who they agree to feed so much business to during the contracted terms.

Their Auto Physical Damage Team tried to tell us that the lower part of the bumper was “repairable” and the upper part was needing a new part which comes in unpainted and wanted my husband and I to agree to their lower estimate to have 3 different paint colors on the final repair job. Upper management even had the audacity to tell my husband and I that our Volvo was not a high end car and therefore they were not going to pay the labor rates of $80.00 per hour for an experienced body shop repair specialist who works on Lamborghini’s etc. to work on my car because the insurance industry already regulated that body shops can only pay their repair specialists at the most $50.00 an hour.

Which means your car could be painted by a new guy who is just being paid way less than $50.00 an hour. He does not have the skill or been trained by the experts at “private” body shops who value their employees and the work they do. So sad that not even Shana ** at American Family’s Consumer Affairs Department cared about my husband’s vehicle, how we were being treated or followed up on the end of our experience. She can be reached at **.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident that was not my fault, the person at fault had American Family Insurance. The claims department took a very long time and at first did not want to accept responsibility for the claim. So my insurance company had to take over and allow me to get my car in for repairs while American Family took nearly three weeks to resolve issues on their end. From day one their insured was calling them to get things resolved and they kept dropping the ball. The person, Patty, who was in charge of the claim was never in her office, so you'd have to speak with another agent and they would make notes. It was horrible. Then when I finally got Patty on the phone she tried to tell me I needed to get three quotes before I could take my car in for repairs and that they would not cover a rental car. I told her I was not taking my car for three quotes, that it was already at the shop and I had a rental car. She then backed down and said no worries.

I then filed a diminished value claim. I had made two phone calls and they said don't worry that the file was pending in a different department. Weeks have gone by and I've not heard one word. I called today and was told there was no diminished value claim, that they see my phone call where I wanted to file one but the person who took the call did not submit the information, so now the process starts all over. I do not recommend using this company at all. They are not professional and lack in accountability and customer service. They are horrible to be honest.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Another desperate insurance company that has to send advertisements to get biz just like Progressive, Geico and All State. Would never do business w/this company or any other insurance company that sends unsolicited mail. Seeing that there overall satisfaction rating is 2 out of 5 stars. No wonder they have to harass people w/their unsolicited mailings. Funny, I never get unsolicited ad mailers from Farmers, State Farm, Liberty Mutual Nationwide or USAA, probably because they don't suck like American Family Insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Their client hit me (totaled my car), pushed me into a street sign, and pushed me into a Mercedes. The police report and witness statements made were clear cut that this was 100% their client’s fault. Yet, they took DAYS to call me back and respond to my emails. They even tried to deny liability. The adjuster made it clear to me that he spoke to their client. However, they told the woman in the Mercedes they couldn’t accept liability for her car because they still couldn’t get a hold of their client.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Incompetence, lack of response, seemingly untrained and lacking technology skills. Ben and his staff need some remedial training. Several times their computers have "been down" and were unable to help me. Three major withdraw mistakes that were blamed on the computers. I would suggest an office visit, but you will find there is a lack of parking and the facility is dilapidated. There are plenty of other American Family Insurance owners in the area that are "on point" with their customer service, and will treat you right. I was very happy with my previous AFI Agent who moved, and then I was reassigned to this awful location.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My vehicle was legally parked when it was hit and badly damaged by an insuree of this horrible company. I've established 2 estimates from long time professional shops, and AFam has decided to send me a check to repair all but $700 in damage. I won't accept the offer, they aren't returning my calls. Pure evil. What's up with American Family ministries????

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

American Family Insurance insured person ran into my house with their vehicle. They were not a guest, they were not invited, and had no reason to be on my property. American Family is dragging their feet in paying me for the extensive repairs needed on my home. This should be pretty simple matter - your insured ran into my house - pay up and close claim!

Why must consumers have to sue, file complaints, and etc. to get results. That is the reason lawyers and government agencies are needed to protect consumers.

I will not get a penalty against my policy for the mistake of someone else. By the way, their insured owns the home next door to me so why they did not use their own driveway to teach their significant other to drive is beyond my comprehension. Still ongoing next steps are filing complaints and lawsuits.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We are currently dealing with American Family. Their insured hit our vehicle, which is used for our self-employment purposes, almost head on in a work zone. Their insured was told to drive on the opposite side of the road with the road construction. There were flaggers on both ends, but in the middle of it there are a lot of driveways and side roads that vehicles come out of and drivers need to be alert and pay attention to both construction vehicles, construction workers and other vehicles or people that come from the side roads and driveways. When my husband saw her, she was not looking up, she was looking down. She had several cars in back of her that saw my husband. My husband pulled over to the side and went as far off the road as he safely could and stopped. She RAN into the front of him. Her eyes did not come up from whatever she was looking down at until she hit him.

We made the mistake of updating our business vehicle to a pretty nice vehicle from an old van that was not worth having full coverage on. Well we didn't realize that we just swapped out the vehicles on the policy and we never added full coverage on ours. Which should not matter in this case, because she was given a ticket for inattentive driving and her insurance liability should take care of it. Needless to say, American Family is giving us the runaround. We are losing money every day with extra time and trips back and forth from home and stores to buy items that are not available in my husband's truck. He tries to remember everything he needs, but his rolling hardware store is not with him. We are losing money every single day.

My husband got whiplash - we do have medical pay on our policy, which we may have to use because American Family is jerking us around. There literally should not be a question on this, but they are holding out and making us wait. We will end up getting an attorney if they don't accept 100% liability and we will take the woman that hit my husband to small claims court for whatever American Family did not cover. If they don't cover anything, what is liability coverage even for with American Family? I have already filed a complaint with our state's Office of Commissioner of Insurance. DO NOT CHOOSE AMERICAN FAMILY FOR YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information