Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
American Family Insurance - Auto
1.72/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

332 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

Our new agent really helped us get an old claim by our old agent back in force. It was to replace my windshield. We are finally getting things done.

Original review: May 18, 2018

All I did was call to file a claim and my insurance agent did everything else, including getting me a rental. American Family Insurance really is the best insurance company you can get and they truly help you out when you need it. Roadside assistance and claims are taken care of quickly and I was not penalized making a claim. You get to work directly with your agent or the company 800 number. The billing is always accurate and you can work with them to get a better quote or change the insurance to make it more economical without having to have less insurance.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am treated like a family friend/member. No matter who I talk to in the office, they know who I am and seem happy to hear from me. They don't hesitate to serve my needs timely.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have been with American Family Insurance for over 5 years, and I intend to stay with the most reliable insurance that I have had. The customer service is great and the bill is very easy to understand.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Purchased a new vehicle, changed it on website, never got changed. Agent never called. Tried calling agent multiple times and kept getting routed back to AMFAM customer service who are completely useless. Took weeks to get car on policy correctly as customer service could only start insurance from current date, not when car was purchased. I can't even imagine how difficult getting a claim handled would be. Hope I don't find out. Will be moving all my insurance to another company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was really scared after reading all the negative reviews on how many others homeowners claims were handled. Fortunately for me, the process was smooth and efficient! My claims adjuster followed up with me throughout the whole claims process and from start to finish the whole process from the time I opened my claim to the time I received my check was 3 1/2 weeks. I have been a customer with American Family since 2001 and had my 1st claim this year. It was a water leak. I received my insurance renewal for this upcoming year 2018-2019 and my insurance only increased by $71.00 and I can probably get it lowered by making some minor adjustment on coverages. So for me, American Family Insurance has proven to be a reliable and reputable company.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Repeated queries to agent never responded to. Cancellation request ignored and continued billing. Website useless. Even acknowledged by agent. Overpriced for minimal coverage levels. No follow through. No customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Biggest Scam I have ever seen. Not at all helpful and not at all fit. They should not have any customers to be honest. My Car windshield was broken and they said, I have to pay the complete deductible to 500 USD. I fixed it through their preferred vendor itself, for just 384 USD. If I had gone to the vendor through American Family Insurance, I would be paying 500 USD along with insurance payment increase. By The way, State Farm fixed my other car's windshield for free. Their Renters Insurance is bigger scam than their car insurance. I had a little incident in my rental apartment and even without investigating it properly and sending anyone to check it out, they rejected it. The Agent I have, never receives phone and never respond back even after leaving messages more than once.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Have been waiting now going on 2 and half weeks for claim check. First they said it was mailed. It wasn't. Then they told me they had to take taxes out because I chose to cash out. Then they told me the check was mailed Fri. It's now Wed. No check. No it should be here Thursday. Yea ok maybe I should do this when paying my policy. Oh and I live in the same city as American Family. What a joke of a company!!!! Never had this problem with other insurance companies.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been with AMFAM for years! We bought a car that needed work done to it. Once we got it driving we added it to the insurance in the AM. Unfortunately it was in an accident in the PM. First they said it was denied because their timestamp was wrong and they said the accident happened before I added the car. Then they said because it was more than 14 days after buying the car AMFAM denied the claim. Be very careful of this company. Their timestamps on claim are wrong and they will dig deep to deny a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I want to bring an issue to your attention. To give an overview, I have had American Family Insurance for 30+ years. Due my agent retiring and the company cancelling my insurance, per their mistake, I did some research and received quotes from other carriers. It turns out that I have been paying more than double over what other carriers charge for the exact same coverage!

In addition, the previous agent had the opportunity to change to American Family's "new system" which would have reduced my monthly payment by $70-85 and refused. Regardless, the gross negligence by the company, over the duration of my time with them is disturbing. Agents for other carriers actually double checked their quotes because they couldn't believe the huge rate difference. I had absolutely no idea this was going on, as I've been with American Family for so long. I cannot properly convey my overwhelming outrage regarding this price gouging, especially to a loyal, long-time customer. The result is that I have overpaid by thousands of dollars and had no idea. I really could have used that money for something much more useful. It's disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have been with American Family for almost 10 years. With an accident where a State Farm client was at fault they paid the doctors with no problem through my Med Pay. I thought State Farm was bad, but American Family Claims is REALLY bad when it involves their client being at fault. I was rear ended at a roundabout last November while just sitting there waiting for a vehicle to pass. Secilia in claims was super nice the first time, but then after I left two further messages that she supposedly never got, she said it probably went to voice spam, although it was her voice on the message. Funny how the system immediately recognizes your phone number when you call, and then verifies you through your birthday and zip code...but then went to spam? Then I sent an email with the medical authorization attached, which she also never got.

So I finally waited for another extension and talked to Holly, who said that Secilia usually gets right to her voicemails and emails. She got the next email and confirmed the information, but after they transferred me weeks later to Shawn, he needed the same medical authorization, but this time faxed. Why didn't anyone tell me the first time it was not good enough? Now he says he playing phone tag with my Chiropractor (who has not been paid at all with my med pay since November), but my Chiropractor has not received any messages from him.

They paid my other back doctor right away because it amounted to less than a couple of hundred dollars, but they are giving me the runaround with my chiropractor and massage therapist. It doesn't matter that I've been in a lot more pain and had to go more frequently to the chiropractor now. So they want all of last year's medical records from my chiropractor before they will pay him at this point. Somehow when he sends the bills and records though they don't get them, but then say they received duplicates later when he sends them again. This is the worst service I have ever had in my life. My lawyers told me that out of all of the insurance companies that American Family is the worst to get return calls from. I am seeing this for myself now. I am SO disgusted.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I don't like their customer service skills. First of all I've been with American Family for almost three four years and I have full coverage insurance. I had collision. I take a trip to Chicago and I hit a pothole. So that tells me that my car is not covered so there's nothing they're going to do for me. So basically they're telling me to kiss they **.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have AMFAM insurance on my house and car. When I had a claim due to a contractor's issue, AMFAM FAILED. Even though AMFAM would be reimbursed for repairs from the company for the contractor, AMFAM fought me on every charge. First, they sent an adjuster. That person quit the company. They sent another adjuster, that person took off for surgery and said not work with another adjuster, to wait on her. She didn't come back. Then another adjuster. All of the documentation was lost at AMFAM. To make a long and costly story short... AMFAM did not do what they promised, which was to fully insure my home. Even when my agent told them they were not treating me fairly... They fired the agent. AMFAM FAILS.

Updated on 2/15/2018: When my insurance agent told AMFAM they were not providing the coverage I paid for... they fired him. Then they failed to cover me for the damage to my home, even though they would be paid back in full by the other insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was in an accident with one of their insured. Initially when I spoke to them knowing I had a lawyer they immediate questioned me about the accident when they knew they were supposed to refer to my lawyer as they say to me when I call them for information. The lady got on the expressway the wrong way and head on collision with me. Totaled my car. They took over two months to pay the car off because they kept throwing my case from adjuster to adjuster. Saying they went on vacation, finally sent a guy out after denying me rentals until someone came out to look at the car. I gave them specific instructions for paying on and the account number and info and stated if you reference an account number they will go based on that and not the remaining info on the check.

Boom. Two and a half months later when they finally stopped playing they sent the check to the wrong account number and left me doing all the calling around to make sure it was issued to the correct account. Fast forward 8 months later they are jumping the injury case adjuster to adjuster trying to avoid my case until I called my lawyer and complained who had to get their supervisor involved and the first thing they did was low ball the hell out of me with numbers that didn’t even cover my medical bills.

For months I’ve been renting out of pocket and catching public transportation to work almost losing my job because of lack of transportation. I live in the suburbs so the bus from my job is a 45 minute walk away. I couldn’t get a car and still can’t because they never paid it off fully and had the nerve to tell me I need to sign over the title to them when I’m done with the remaining balance payments. This is the most terrible company I have ever had to deal with. Now that I finally signed this release I’m sure I won’t see a check for another one or two.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have American Family Insurance and have been a customer with them for about 10 years. In Late June 2017 I got in a fender bender. No real damage but reported to my insurance for a scratch the car. After the incident I left VM for my agent but never received a call in return. Every call was sent to a stupid recording and I was unable to reach him. I never got a call but my rates doubled the following month. Then on 11/7/2017 I was in a car accident. I called into the claims department and filed my report on about 11/10/2018. It was ran by a third party company that knew nothing about AMFAM policies and procedures. He told me that my agent should contact me shortly. After that accident I never got a call from my insurance agent Michael **. I left him a VM but no return calls. I never got a VM from him, no email, absolutely nothing!!!

I finally get a vm from Claims Agent on Mikia ** on 12/4/17. We spoke on 12/6/2017. She informed me that the old agent Scott ** would no longer be handling the claim, I didn't know who Scott ** was so I was just happy to have someone to move forward. She got information about the claim and reports that she will handle my claim moving forward. During that call I requested that she arrange an agent to come take pictures of my vehicle. She did not complete that request. I took my car to a repair shop and the shop submitted the claims paperwork to them on 12/12/2017.

I received a VM from a the old agent, Scott **, the agent that Mikia replaced, on 12/20/2018 at 9:25am. The call asked if I was filing a claim. I immediately returned the call and got a VM again, I gave Scott ** the information that I had submitted the claims data to Mikia ** on 12/12/2018. After that point I get silence from the company again. The first week in January I leave a VM every day for Mikia ** with no response. I finally call in to AMFAM 1-800 number and ask for a manager to file a complaint. I get a call back on 1/8/2018 from Mikia's manager apologizing for her behavior. Then I get a call back from my original claims guy Scott **. At this point I just want the situation to end so I agree for him to arrange for me to drop my car off at the shop. The adjustor Igor ** reported to me that my vehicle was unsafe and that I needed a rental car. American Family has forced me to drive an unsafe vehicle since 11/6/2017 until 1/9/2018.

I get to the shop to meet the accident adjuster Igor ** who told me my car value was $8000 from internal assessment. I laughed and said it’s worth $5500-6000. He and I get together and on his laptop he sees the value from NADA is $6000. He reported he will look into it and get back to me. I later get an email stating the car's is value is $7057. This is a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with 123000 miles on it not in tip top condition. The damage report to the car was $4274.72. I responded to the agent with the assessed value from Kelley Blue Book at $5,900, NADA at $6000, and true car value at $5,700. Per state law you can total the car if the damage is 65% of the car value.

At this point I ask to speak with a manager and start to speak with Ben ** on 1/15/2018. He refers me to speak to a different manager Dan ** on 1/15/2018. He and I just disagree on the phone. He says the car value is the $7057 and I ask how come 3 independent public agencies are incorrect. He couldn't give me an answer. I then say I want to speak to my Claims Manager Ben ** again. I start to leave him VM. I finally get a call back on 1/25/2018. Yes over a week later and I left VM every day for a week.

We have been talking this last week and I asked him if he could explain the horrible customer service I received. He stated he couldn't. I asked if he could explain why the claim was sent on 12/12/2017 and it wasn't processed until I complained to a manager with return call on 1/8/2018. He couldn't explain that either. I asked what he could do to rectify the situation. He said he could process the claim but that was it. Meanwhile in the past 3 months, American Family deduct from my checking account monthly without fail. The service is horrible!!! They put my life in risk by having me drive an unsafe car while they blatantly ignored my claim.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I had American Family for my home, auto and business policy. I was stopped at a red light and was rear ended by a woman who also had American Family. I thought that the process would be streamlined due to the fact that we were both with the same company, but that definitely wasn't the way it played out. Everything was disputed... They initially refused to provide a rental car, also wanting the body shop to paint over the damage without replacing the damaged areas and offering the auto body shop $30 to paint the back end of my car. All of these disputes resulted in delays in getting the car fixed. Then AmFam disputed the car rental bill and the length of time that it took, blaming the auto body shop for the delays when, in fact, the delays were caused by AmFam's ridiculous disputes.

I also had a single medical bill, which they also disputed, accusing the Dr's office of fabricating the bill and said the Dr's office can "eat the bill" because they weren't going to pay it. I had minimal time off work and they disputed paying the lost wages. They disputed the fact that I own a business... How can that be when I have a $4 million business policy with them? Then they audited my business for 2016 and 2017, of which my CPA/tax attorney provided the information that they wanted.

Finally, after 2 months the car, the rental and the Dr. bill are being paid and I am settling for a reduced amount for lost wages, but only because I am sick of dealing with them. Unfortunately, this accident occurred about 10 days prior to a scheduled and unrelated surgery. These people will attempt to harass you and drag things out unnecessarily, trying to get you to settle when they know that you are at a weak moment. All 3 of my policies are due in a week. I spent yesterday getting insurance quotes from other companies and am securing those policies today. I refuse to give AmFam another dime in premiums when they can't even take care of a simple fender bender without harassing me for 2 months.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

This company is absolutely by far one of the worst insurance companies when it comes to paying out claims to their customers, and staying in contact with their customers. Agents act as though they have no clue what is going on and want nothing to do with helping you. I had to make all of the phone calls and follow up. Took over 3 months to get a simple theft from our garage claim paid, even with a Police Report Filed, and an estimated list of items taken. Would NEVER in a million years refer this company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I was driving to work and a woman insured by American Family did not stop at a stop sign, and entered into the busy major street I was driving on. The speed limit for the major street was 40mph. I attempted to stop, but hit her. Although she was at fault she attempted to blame fault on me for my colliding with her. She was cited by the police officer for failure to stop. I contacted American Family Insurance as well as my own. Initially I went to work, following reporting the accident. While at work I developed some symptoms I thought I'd better have checked out, so upon departing work I went to the ER. I advised the ER staff I was involved in a car accident and they accepted my car insurance information and my health information.

I received a call the next day from an adjuster, who offered me an extremely low amount for my vehicle, stating it was totaled. He told me that if my counter offer was not within $100 of his offer not to bother calling him. Whenever I attempted to call him, the call went straight to voicemail. He also asked me if there was any other way I could have avoided the accident other than applying my brakes, leaving skid marks, and attempting to swerve. He asked couldn't I have honked my horn. I contacted the State Insurance Commissioner. I wasn't offered a rental car, initially, even after expressing that my job was quite a distance away. I paid a co-worker to take me to work, and walked 2 miles to the nearest bus stop to ride the transit home in the evenings.

When I was finally offered the rental car, for one day, I would have been required to pay for the insurance on the rental car, which was more than American Family was to pay to rent the car. I refused the rental car and walked home. I paid from my own pocket to have my vehicle made drivable, so not to lose my job. Because American Family was not cooperating at all. I contacted an attorney. Unknown to me the attorney had previously worked for insurance companies. The attorney's office lost many of my medical records, and stated that the medical deductibles I had paid were not to be reimbursed. He did however calculate the sum of PIP that was to be repaid to my insurance company and the amount that was to be repaid to my personal insurance.

The attorney began negotiations with the American Family Adjuster. He didn't seem at all concerned that I wouldn't receive enough to repay my personal medical insurance company or be reimbursed for my expenses. When I confronted him about losing my medical record totals; my not being reimbursed for my deductibles and his false statement about there not being a raise in the property claim, he dropped my case and put an attorney's lien on any judgment. I learned that the losing of medical records and the dropping of clients case before completion was "a less than honorable tactic" performed by that attorney's office, on a regular basis, and that office had been disciplined for such tactics. No other attorney would consider taking the case following that.

American Family switched the injury adjuster. She pretended not to have received any figures of what American Family needed to pay, and offered me an amount of which I would not be able to repay my personal insurance if I retained the amount I spent for medical deductions, etc. This went on for almost 2 years. On the last date prior to the Statute of Limitation expiration, the adjuster and her supervisor went on vacation, and left no other adjuster with authorization to settle my claim. By this time I had moved from the city of the accident. I drove to the city of the accident and filed a civil suit, paying court fees, summon fees, etc. The case was was not treated seriously and was immediately dismissed.

I filed an appeal document but did not pay the appeals court fees. The case was dismissed. A year after the case was dismissed I learned that my insurance company had filed a subrogation lien against American Family and had been reimbursed for the PIP they paid. My insurance company stated the reimbursement was done on my behalf, and American Family reported that the reimbursement was paid to me. My personal medical insurance contacted me and stated they wanted the amount they had paid reimbursed from the amount I had received from American Family. I informed them I had not received any judgment or award.

My personal medical insurance stated that American Family Insurance had reported that I received a settlement, and they would legal recourse to regain their funds. I have requested a waiver and appeal of that decision. The American Family adjuster sent me a letter stating that I should get the funds to repay my personal medical insurance from my auto insurance. My auto insurance says they are not repaying my personal medical insurance. I may end up reimbursing my personal medical insurance for an accident which was not my fault.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was in an accident, the other driver was at fault. So naturally I thought my company would have my back, but that wasn't the case. As it turns out I don't rental car coverage, gap coverage (which I never heard of until now). I pay 136 a month for full coverage. They have not been any help, do NOT put your faith in this company. Claim process is a nightmare and want charge me for keeping my car, which I still have to pay off! Or I can just give it to them so they can turn a profit of my misfortune. I also feel they are low balling for my claim, which I don't understand because they're going to get their money back from the other person's insurance company. Do NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. If you do decide to go through this company, make sure you have rental car and gap insurance because they won't tell you need it until it's too late. Don't assume you have good coverage just because your agent says you do.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Their payout is almost nothing and they raise the insurance when you haven't had an accident. They refused to pay and everyone in the neighborhood also claimed roofing damage and was also refused. Now that my credit is good I'm going to be seeking another service. Other insurance in the area paid. They did pay on my car for hail damage years ago but haven't claimed anything else for awhile. I have combined insurance and will be changing soon. Just got my bill on my new year policy and they raise it by $14 a month but no accidents. Make sure they don't raise your bill if you have never had an accident and make sure you get in writing the reasons they won't do repairs. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying from this company. Too many people I know have been declined insurance payouts for some bogus reasons. I don't know why they are in business. Maybe just to take your money and not give back when you need it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

They are friendly, reliable, priced fairly and knowledgeable. We are a small town where everyone knows everyone and the insurance company takes care of their customers as if we were family. My agent was very helpful. I went to his office, explained the situation and they told me not to worry, they would take care of it. And they did... Then followed up with a phone call to make sure I was happy.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My garage was broken into. Many things missing. Adjuster called and I was treated as if I broke into my own garage. Have been with this company for close to 20 years but am currently looking for new insurance. Don't need to be treated as I was.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was shopping around for new auto insurance, and came across American Family. I read a few reviews and was pleased. I contacted Ricky ** from the Eastpoint GA location. Ricky sent me a quote which included several discounts he applied, one discount being my defensive driver discount. After careful review of the Amfam quote and many phone conversations with Ricky before I made my decision. I eventually, decided to make the switch from Geico to Amfam on Oct. 20, 2017.

On or about Nov. 5, 2017 I received a phone call from one: Ricky ** stating that he was told that AMfam would not honor my defensive driver insurance reduction certification because it was not on the Georgia Department of driver services listing. This information was totally confusing to me because, my program certification ID number is approved by the State of Georgia for insurance reduction only. I explained to Ricky that he had failed to disclosed this information to me in any of our many phone conversations prior to agreeing to the quote. I also explained that the quote he provided for me failed to reflect this important information as well. Ricky responded just like a coward stating "Yeah I don't understand why they won't accept it. I see you sat in the class for 6 hours and didn't do it online. I will contact the underwriter".

On Nov. 6, 2017 I received an email from Ricky ** where he wrote to one Melissa ** stating, ''She completed a classroom defensive driving course 01/2016. She received the information from the Georgia Insurance Commissioner office that the school she attended was a Georgia certified facility. The problem is they are not listed in the Georgia reference manual as one of the listed schools. Can you please help with this or make an exception based off the attached document". Now the problem I have with Ricky's emailed to Melissa is that he failed to mention that he never informed or made clear that the school must be on a Georgia list. Therefore, I can only gather by the facts is this dishonest, misleading, desperate, unprofessional MOB GANG A.K.A AMFAM does this deceptive business practice on a day to day bases. If you can choose your Insurance company please choose wisely. Stay away from AMFAM especially the Eastpoint, GA location.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The agent and office staff I had in New Palestine, IN did not know the business. I was led down the wrong path. I had been with Am Fam for 31 years. 26 years were fine no problem. My agent retired and everything fell apart. They did not know the business. I canceled policies and they are still taking money out of my account. I would not recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Any insurance company is bound to have flaws in some areas and it is not possible for an agent to keep up with everything. The consumer should communicate ANY and ALL concerns to their agent as soon as possible. There was an issue with a rate hike and the company did not follow Federal Law. I contacted the agent and he handled the claim and I have also used the 800 number by phone. They both work and it is very easy and thorough. They sent a package out to inform you of their process and findings.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I hope this reaches someone before making a bad decision and going with this dishonest company. I am a disabled veteran and combat amputee that has been with AmFam for years. I was in an accident 9/26/16 that was caused by an underinsured high school graduate that was cited for speeding, running a red light, wreck-less driving, failing to control his vehicle and the list goes on. Amfam was amazing at first, keyword AT FIRST, they told advice to go to preferred shop in Scottsdale AZ, told me to go to Enterprise and get a rental and told me not to worry about anything. They assured me they had all police reports and other driver admitted fault, they also told me they stood behind their military members. Well it took the shop over 3 months to fix with a repair bill of over $25k.

I didn't mind the wait. I always stood behind them and said not to rush and do it right. My family’s safety is my main concern, but I also asked why they didn't total the truck out. That's when all communication stopped. That question was the turning point. I got a call from Enterprise that the rental had not been paid in over 90 days and had been reported stolen, the preferred shop ended charging me betterment on tires they ruined due to test driving truck and taking to dealership. The air suspension failed and blew out all 4 tires. So now Enterprise charged my credit card $2,500 and shop charged me over $600 on betterment. Well I need to get to VA appts, physical therapy, school, work, my children sports, and family needs so of course I'm going to pay. I had no choice.

Then tires started blowing out and getting extreme wear and tear on the inside camber and a loud popping sound that is audible and you can feel starts happening when you turn steering wheel too sharp. Took it back, the guy has me turn the wheel and hears it and says it’s just breaking in no problem and tires are due to oversize wheels, I explained I never had an issue before he said, “Well our alignment specs say you are good (I never seen these specs).” Later down the road the Chinese parts on a British vehicle failed and I was stranded on side of the road. I brought it in, they dropped me off at Enterprise and wanted me to pay for it, I told them this was their issue. They put a faulty part and I wasn't paying for anything. They left me. I had to walk on one leg and crutches back to the shop which is a few miles away to get back my truck because Enterprise wouldn't rent a car to me due to past history from first 90+ day rental.

I stayed without a car and couldn't make go to my appts or anything else. I WAS ALMOST FIRED while they fixed it. Well guess what happens again a month or so later? Yep the exact same thing. But this time they wouldn't allow me to choose my own shop when it states that if you aren't happy to take wherever you chose to and they will honor it, yea BS!! The adjuster stood me up more than 3x at different shops and I had to cover the bill for using their lift. Finally I was able to get to dealer but again I have to pay betterment on items I didn't damage they did, they even changed left rotor and not right on this SUV. Dealership protocol tells you to change both. I met with adjuster and her supervisor at dealership. Everyone was shocked to hear the way they were talking to me. He even pointed at his American Flag pin and said, “You see I support my military!!”

I looked at him in disgust, anyone can see that what he was doing was not right. He was blaming me for inconveniencing him for being there. They were almost yelling at me. I myself kept my cool and did blow up on them. Afterward my PTSD kicked in and I was just defending myself letting them know I didn't want money or attention. I just want my ** car back! He stated they still had to review again and took months to get back. I had to put 2 new sets of tires. That's 8 tires at 1000 each time, I had to pay for rental, I lost work, appt, kids’ football games, I paid the rental, I paid betterment, I paid shop fees and still I am not after making a profit. They have really screwed a disabled veteran and almost pushed me to the brink of an emotional, physical, and physiological breakdown.

They still haven't put me in a rental and to this date 09/29/17 my truck IS STILL IN THE SHOP NOT FIXED! May god bless the adjuster. I know they get paid very well to be the bad people or at least I hope that is the case. I honestly think they are defending the preferred shop because someone is making money from them from referring and looking other way when people get screwed. My assumption. I hope my car is done soon, whoever from Amfam Admin is looking at this.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We have been American Family customers for a while and liked their low premiums. I was recently rear-ended and the nightmare began. I went to one of their preferred auto body shops to get an initial estimate. The car was driveable and I even asked the auto body shop to confirm it was safe since I drive around my toddler. He said yes. They couldn't get me in for work for a month, but the car was driveable, so I dealt with it.

When I took it in to get the work done, my rental car was waiting for me and I signed to get the repairs going. 3 days later, American Family calls to tell me my car is a total loss. The auto body shop acts as their adjuster, so no one from American Family ever actually looked at my car, plus now, there is suddenly frame damage. I was upset to know that American Family didn't even seem concerned that they let me drive around for a month with a toddler in a car with frame damage.

The settlement offers came in and I got various explanations of what I would receive (taxes, no taxes, actual cash value, etc). On top of that I was told I only had 6 more days with my rental car. Looking online, I couldn't find a car comparable to mine for the payout they were giving me. They said, "Am Fam does not owe you to replace the vehicle, we owe you the actual cash value".

What am I paying you premiums for when I get rear-ended and have to pay additional money to purchase a new car? Just handled poorly and as the person not at fault I had all the inconvenience. I would have hoped they would go to bat for me to get me a fair deal from the other insurance company, but that was not the case. So disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Your company is a joke and the CEOs and other top officers should be ashamed, quit blaming people that use their insurance as blame to costly premiums. Just like any other insurance this should be outlawed, nobody should be allowed to profit THIS MUCH off insurance. People pay to be protected from accidents, and get punished when they use their insurance. They like to blame the people that use their insurance that they pay into every month when costs go up but don't be fooled. It's the top 10 people and their 6,000,000 bonuses and probably more. DO NOT GO THROUGH AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Have been a customer of AmFam for over 15 years. Recently did a policy review with the agent and was given a quote. We accepted the quote and received our bill in the mail. It was double the amount quoted. We have tried to contact the agent 3 times to ask why the bill was so much more than the quote. He refuses to respond to our inquiry. The epitome of bad customer service. There are too many other insurance companies out there to settle for this level of incompetence.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information