Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
American Family Insurance - Auto
2.21/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

338 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2019

I am so disappointed in American Family Insurance. I have been with them for over 7 years. I had two very small claims with them in the last few years, but never anything big. They had been great up until recently. A few months ago I was rear ended in a no fault state I was traveling in for work. They were determined to be responsible for my medical bills and were awful to deal with. They denied me so many times that I had to hire an attorney. I was already going through so much and they made the experience much worse by being so difficult. I am still fighting them daily. Then I received a letter that they are terminating my auto insurance coverage in June. I couldn’t believe it. American Family is great until they have to pay for anything.

Original review: May 3, 2019

First off I have been with AmFam for 19 years, home and cars. They have always taken care of me. 5 total claims in 19 years on the house. 4 being hail, 1 water damage. They did cover everything. In the last year we got hit hard with hail and 3 claims on the house. Totaled the roof each time along with other damage. Of course we are still trying to get caught up on everything.

So now I get the letter that they are dropping me because of too many claims even though 4 was weather related (like I could control the weather). There should be a law that they cannot drop people due to the weather damage (you can't stop baseball sized hail clocked over 100 mph by CHP.) If you are going to ensure you where that can happen you need to stick it out or pull out of that state altogether forever... So now my house is high risk and second rate insurance with 6 times the deductible that I had. Thanks for reading.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Receptionists in Manitowoc Wi. Receptionist made a point to flip me the middle finger while driving her vehicle. Not too smart to have this person represent your company. Definitely not a professional. I would never do business here because of this incident. And I will make sure I tell all my family and friends about this incident. And yes I know the name of this person. If anyone needs to contact me I will give them this information.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I started my policy online and was assigned to Renee Bolden as a new member of American Family Insurance. During the time I have been a member (of which has been a short time) I never had the opportunity of being welcomed by Ms. Bolden. Each time I called I received no answer. This forced me to contact the 1800 number for assistance often. Unfortunately, for what I needed assistance with required the help of my agent. I contacted Ms. Bolden’s office on April 1st for assistance with hopes of promptly getting what I needed done. Upon my first contact I received no answer and left a message. Before mid day I had not received a return call so I called again, only to get a answer from a assistant who would not allow me the opportunity to express what my needs were.

She constantly over talked me, placed me on speaker while she consulted with Ms. Bolden for assistance and certainty on a process of which was evident that she lacked knowledge of. Ms. Bolden never got on the phone and talked at her assistant of which gave information to me. Ultimately all I needed was a due date change and a request to be entered to ensure my policy would not cancel. While on the phone the assistant told me the request was entered further recapping my contact information to call me back to confirm that policy was held from cancellation. I trusted her word that all business would be handled efficiently and accurately. With that being said I did not call to follow back up until yesterday when I was notified by email that my policy was cancelled.

I immediately called customer service (due to it being after hours and furthermore feeling like my experience was rather unprofessional.) Upon speaking to a representative via customer service I was made aware that no request to stop cancellation was ever put in on 4/1/19 hence the reason my policy cancelled. I was redirected back to the local office for further assistance. I was told that they are the only ones who can request that my policy does not reflect a cancel status. I could not help but to think in my head if they could not get the first part correct how could they achieve the latter part?

Words cannot express the anger, frustration, and disappointment I am experiencing right now knowing that even while my car sits at my home locked and secured it’s currently not covered. As soon as my policy is restored I will be requesting a agent change. This is highly unprofessional and unacceptable especially compared to the high level of service I received when I started the policy. I do not recommend this office at all for business. If there was a option not to select a star I would have gladly chosen it. I’m very dissatisfied.

Original review: March 11, 2019

AJ the adjuster for Omaha, NE area, doesn't return phone calls, doesn't know how to write a vehicle or what damage is. AJ prefers to call my wife liar and put the blame on her even with a police report stating otherwise. The accident may have cost American Family $300-400. He rather lose us as customers and blame my wife for the accident. The person who ran into her while changing lanes, provided info and then left. My wife stayed there got a police report in our favor, but no since the other car was a "American Family customer also" I guess we just take it in the **. My wife has photos showing the damage. Does it matter, no. It's true what you read about AF not paying out, and such a small amount compared to what I paid in for a year, STAY AWAY FROM AJ AND AMERICAN FAMILY, oh my my agent was worthless. (Ken **, 122nd blondo), "JUST GET AHOLD AJ. He'll take care of you". Thanks Ken!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: March 2, 2019

We HAD AMFAM for home & auto ins. We had hail damage on our home, their COMPANY ADJUSTOR found NO damage on our home. My agent recommended a re-inspection (anyone can have this done and I highly recommend doing so). The independent adjustor found $13,500.00 in hail damage AFTER the in house COMPANY ADJUSTOR found NO DAMAGE...how can this happen??? My wife had an accident is her vehicle, AMFAM used rusty junkyard parts for the repair on our vehicle!! The adjustor simply said, "Did you read your contract? On page 24 subparagraph D it says we use used parts for repairs!!!"

We switched to Erie Insurance, saved 40% over AMFAM, Erie has diminishing deductible, they use NEW factory parts for repairs, in 3 years we have had NO rate increases with ERIE, every six months we had increases with AMFAM for crappy coverage. AMFAM flies around the USA in their expensive Gulfstream jet raising premiums for crap coverage... Shame on you Jack & AMFAM!!! Shame on you! What comes around goes around!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Played phone tag with claims adjustor Taryn ** several times. Called her back, more than she called me, left many messages. She returned calls at the end of the day when she was leaving office. Then sent a letter in the mail stating she had closed her investigation, finding me (not insured by AmFam) at fault. Go figure. Called her and left another message. Had to call into 1-800 number and go through the sales side to find her supervisor's number who ALSO didn't answer her phone. Left a VM. Got a return call saying investigation was closed.

I asked how that was possible since I just received a letter stating that if I disagreed or had more to add (like my entire statement!) that might alter the outcome to call. I told her I was in fact calling to try to make a statement. She was adamant that the investigation was closed but that she could get a claims adjustor on the line for me to make a statement. I asked what the point of that would be now that she's adamant that the investigation is closed and won't be reopened. She lied and told me they had sent letters... No letters have been received.

VERY UNIMPRESSED with Rachel **, incompetent supervisor of incompetent claims adjustor Taryn **. Rachel refused to give me the name and info of her supervisor. I suppose another complaint would not look good on her record. Their insured is a scam artist who hits commercial vehicles and claims he was hit. He had to open his vehicle doors with a makeshift hook. They have chosen to cover their own rear ends (no surprise) and not do an actual investigation. SHAME ON RACHEL ** AND TARYN **!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They are expensive enough to believe you're getting quality insurance, but they dont care a dime about you, only interested in your dime. I had a wonderful agent but this is a terrible company. I was with them for years and leaving because it obvious they could care less if I leave or not.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I hope and pray that we never again get hit by a insured who has American Family Insurance Coverage. The corrupt nightmare started with their insured trying to intimidate my younger daughter into not contacting his insurance. After taking a picture of his license plate before he drove off we were able to have my daughter drive 2 hours to the police district office to file an accident report. Once the Milwaukee District police took their time in hunting down the insured they provided us with a police report.

Once my husband and I obtained that we contacted American Family to file a claim and inform them that we already had a reputable and trusted body shop where we dropped the car off to get repaired while we were leaving town back in July of 2018. We informed American Family and sent them the formal estimate and told American Family to pay the body shop direct. This is where the second nightmare and corruption that is rapid in the company and so ingrained in everyone you talk with...

American Family sent their inexperienced, ignorant about high end car repairs to the body shop and told them to lower their hourly labor amount they pay their employees because that is not the contracted rate they have with other body shops they give all their work to. The estimator also told the body shop he had to use second hand parts and not to replace all the bumper but instead pound out part of it. This estimator was out of touch with reality. She then left a message on our voicemail that her decision was final and she was leaving town for a family issue and could not be reached.

Upon getting that insane voicemail message my husband and I tried to talk with higher level management which were Mr. Tom **, Mr. Ben ** who told me that American Family’s philosophy is to quickly repair your car, (Not Properly with the best and new parts), take oversight over the job, (which actually means they call or visit the body shop and negotiate your car repairs to fit their dollar allocation).

Follow industry standards (which really means get you to take your car to their contracted body shops or they do not pay the entire repair estimate amount), leverage these repairs, (which really means they try to shove down your throat that Gerber Glass Repair shop is a reputable body shop to do matching die lot paint repair on your car) and says they warranty the body shops work (which means that when your paint job and clear coat does not match the rest of your car you can keep fighting with the body shop to repaint your entire car which will never happen and the value of your car plummeted and will not even be bought by a wholesaler of used cars).

None of these nightmares which is the main business model of American Family on their website too would be a problem if they let the person who was not at fault choose the body shop they know and trust to do the work. American Family even tried to get us to accept a several hundred dollar lower estimate by sending the check to me instead of the body shop. They are so corrupt and ignorant that I had to inform them that you cannot send a check for repairs to the nonregistered owner on the vehicle’s title. They then issued a new check under my husband's name but still would not pay the body shop the car was at.

After more intense telephone conversations with upper management that led to not paying the estimated bill I contacted body shops across the country and asked what their rate would be if I had a bumper and trunk damage to my car that needed repair and the first question they asked me was who was the insurance company that was going to pay the repairs at which time he pulled out his contract with that insurance company and quoted their rates and repair policies for your car. Not the best practices to fix your car but the cheapest way to fix your car because that is all that American Family will pay them. THIS IS PRICE GOUGING AND MARKET MONOPOLY IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

My husband and I tried to talk common sense to the following list of American Family Employees who in our opinions should not have their jobs anymore. Ben ** even told me to go out and get more estimates and then send them to him at ** and then he would have Michael ** and Julie ** (his claim adjusters, which they call Auto Physical Damage Team) call that shop and renegotiate my estimate. When I said that was illegal he gave me his private email listed above and said to deal with him “directly”. Jessica ** was part of this scam.

Mr. Tom ** was also part of the management team who pushed us onto Ben **. You can reach these people at ** (no one gives out their direct extensions or telephone numbers because they do not want you to contact them). I only got these because I told them I was aware of the scam on how they pay out claims and force people to take their cars to their contracted body shops who they agree to feed so much business to during the contracted terms.

Their Auto Physical Damage Team tried to tell us that the lower part of the bumper was “repairable” and the upper part was needing a new part which comes in unpainted and wanted my husband and I to agree to their lower estimate to have 3 different paint colors on the final repair job. Upper management even had the audacity to tell my husband and I that our Volvo was not a high end car and therefore they were not going to pay the labor rates of $80.00 per hour for an experienced body shop repair specialist who works on Lamborghini’s etc. to work on my car because the insurance industry already regulated that body shops can only pay their repair specialists at the most $50.00 an hour.

Which means your car could be painted by a new guy who is just being paid way less than $50.00 an hour. He does not have the skill or been trained by the experts at “private” body shops who value their employees and the work they do. So sad that not even Shana ** at American Family’s Consumer Affairs Department cared about my husband’s vehicle, how we were being treated or followed up on the end of our experience. She can be reached at **.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident that was not my fault, the person at fault had American Family Insurance. The claims department took a very long time and at first did not want to accept responsibility for the claim. So my insurance company had to take over and allow me to get my car in for repairs while American Family took nearly three weeks to resolve issues on their end. From day one their insured was calling them to get things resolved and they kept dropping the ball. The person, Patty, who was in charge of the claim was never in her office, so you'd have to speak with another agent and they would make notes. It was horrible. Then when I finally got Patty on the phone she tried to tell me I needed to get three quotes before I could take my car in for repairs and that they would not cover a rental car. I told her I was not taking my car for three quotes, that it was already at the shop and I had a rental car. She then backed down and said no worries.

I then filed a diminished value claim. I had made two phone calls and they said don't worry that the file was pending in a different department. Weeks have gone by and I've not heard one word. I called today and was told there was no diminished value claim, that they see my phone call where I wanted to file one but the person who took the call did not submit the information, so now the process starts all over. I do not recommend using this company at all. They are not professional and lack in accountability and customer service. They are horrible to be honest.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information