Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5

AAA is well known for its auto insurance, but it also sells homeowners insurance. If you're already an AAA member, you can qualify for several discounts on your policy. Bundling your auto insurance from AAA with your homeowners insurance is a great option if you're looking to save.

BOTTOM LINE

AAA homeowners insurance provides excellent discounts and pricing. Options and coverage vary by club, but the overall coverage is reliable.

PROS

• Good coverage
  • Several discounts
  • Great pricing

CONS

• Fewer options with certain AAA clubs

Top AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Had a violent windstorm a few years back that caused an oak tree to fall on and crush my attached garage. A day later, my AAA guy was at my home evaluating the damage... They were able to begin reconstruction the NEXT day... They are a sterling insurance company that values me as a client.

I have a good relationship with my representative at AAA. I've only had to make a claim once, when lightning damaged some valuable computer equipment, but I was really pleased with the service. Steve handled my claim in a timely manner, knowing that I depend on my computer for my living.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

How does AAA homeowners insurance work?

You can purchase AAA homeowners insurance whether or not you're an existing AAA member. However, if you're a member, you get multiple discount opportunities. Most AAA homeowners insurance meets HO-3 standards, meaning it covers your home, personal property and liability. However, policy options and discounts vary depending on the AAA club you belong to.

AAA homeowners insurance cost

AAA has some of the cheapest homeowners insurance quotes available. Below, we have examples of annual rates — keep in mind that factors like home location and value affect your premium, so yours may look different.

Estimated AAA homeowners insurance annual premiums

Value of homeEstimated annual rate
$75,000$560
$150,000$950
$200,000$1,200
$350,000$1,850

AAA homeowners insurance discounts

Several discounts from AAA help lower the cost of your home insurance, including:

• Smoke detector and home alarm: If you have either of these devices, you can receive up to 15% off your policy.
  • New home: Depending on the age of your home, you can get a discount of up to 40%.
  • Hail-resistant roof: For hail-resistant roofs, expect a discount of up to 35%.
  • New home renovations: If you make new renovations to your home, you can save up to 23% on your premiums.
  • Retiree: If you’re 55 years or older and don’t work, you can get up to 10% off your policy.
  • No claims: If you don't make a claim for three years, you get a discount of up to 13%.

What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?

Most homeowners insurance from AAA are HO-3 policies. HO-3 insurance covers property damage caused by all perils (e.g., fire, lightning, vandalism) except specifically listed exclusions (e.g., pests, wear and tear) and covers personal property damage attributed to named perils (e.g., theft, smoke damage). The basic types of coverage offered by AAA include:

• Dwelling protection
  • Liability protection
  • Personal property protection
  • Guest medical protection
  • Additional living expense coverage
  • Other structures protection

AAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Does AAA homeowners insurance cover mold?
For clubs in most areas, AAA insurance covers mold, but some clubs do not offer full coverage for mold.
Who underwrites AAA homeowners insurance?
The policy underwriter varies by AAA club. Individual clubs outsource homeowners insurance policies to third-party providers.
What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?
AAA homeowners insurance covers damage to your home, your personal possessions and liability. Coverage options vary by club.
Is AAA homeowners insurance cheap?
Yes, AAA homeowners insurance is cheap compared with similar coverage offered by competitors.

Is AAA good homeowners insurance?

We think AAA homeowners insurance is worth it, especially if you're an AAA member and can take advantage of the numerous discounts. Coverage and pricing vary based on which club holds your membership, so the best thing to do is get a quote and decide if the protection is worth the cost. If so, AAA homeowners insurance will serve your needs well.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Recently we had to file for damages on our dwelling for roof damage. I was shocked to find that our $2500.00 deductible was actually $7000.00 with AAA's ACV damage program. We did sign up for a full coverage program, but as soon as our roof reached the 10 year mark, (now 12) they automatically added the ACV endorsement to our 12 year old roof. What a shock. The $2500.00 was expected, the additional high cost was not. Taking out a 6500.00 loan on our home is the only option to complete the repairs. Buyer beware. Our complaint with our State Insurance Corp. has yet to receive a response. Either way, this company looks good on the outside, but no so much on the inside.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I have been a member of AAA for 38 years. This year I switched my home insurance for my newly renovated home from AAA. The representative asked me dozens of questions about every detail of the house and he directed me remotely to take photos of every room and outside. Subsequently a policy was issued, I paid for a year in advance and I informed the old insurance company to cancel the old policy. A couple of weeks later I received a 30 day cancellation notice from AAA without any specific reason. After several attempts I was able to contact the AAA rep for an explanation.

After that he called me back to ask for all the renovation permits and all the invoices; I provided volumes of documents and the rep told me that he will forward it to the underwriter and that he will call me back. I tried to follow up with him numerous times, leaving messages and sending several emails; as we got closer to the cancellation date, I gave up and I obtained new insurance through Costco within two days without all the hassle and at a lower premium and they gave me free roadside assistance as well! It is unfortunate because AAA used to have great service.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We had a really bad rainstorm the early part of 2019. With strong winds, water was coming inside our kitchen, and it looked like a waterfall. Our ceiling was bubbled, and started coming down, our kitchen cabinets started to separate from the walls. We noticed the walls in our bedroom were waterlogged, and under the head of our bed, the carpet was drenched. We called AAA to come do a claim on the kitchen and bedroom. They sent this girl out, who took some photos, told us to get some contractors' estimates, and she would get back to us in a few days...Over a week later, it's starting to stink of mold in our bedroom, my wife has asthma and her breathing started getting worse, she ended up in emergency with a major attack.

The Doc. told us to stay in a hotel until AAA can rip out the carpet and pad...Still nothing from AAA...Over 2 weeks later, and lots of phone calls to AAA, and still no answer, I had to hire a contractor to remove a whole wall from the ground up, 3 quarters of the ceiling, all the insulation, and replace with new drywall, insulation, etc. Now, AAA finally calls back, and tells us that since we did the work in the bedroom, they won't pay for it...NOW, in the meantime they find out there are a bunch of roofing tiles gone from the roof, and the roof is exposed, that's where the water came in from...We got 3 quotes from contractors to restore our kitchen walls and cabinets.

AAA sent their guy in to give us an estimate, and he says they can't do the work. Then AAA says the quotes are too high, and "they aren't in the business of remodeling kitchens."? The house is over 30 years old, and the kitchen has never been remodeled...It was in perfect working order, and we just want it replaced with comparable cabinets. AAA then tells us, "We should have used their contractor in the beginning"... Their guy said he couldn't do the dang job! She wouldn't approve any contractor I found, AAA's payout to us would be $18,000 to do the roof, bedroom, kitchen! The lowest bid we can find is from Sears at $32,000 just to get the kitchen back to where we can put our dishes back, and cook!

The roof is estimated at $4000...The bedroom was $3,500. Total for the whole thing is $39,500. We're not asking for AAA to pay for the 2 weeks in a hotel, or any other expenses we had to incur...We pay our premiums on time, every month, year after year! AAA should have our backs! AMENDMENT: It's now July 6th 2020....and STILL no working kitchen, we had to pay for the roof and bedroom out of pocket.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I had a very bad experience when it came time to use my homeowner's insurance and file a claim after a hail storm. I have a house that is 13 year old. I was told that only a small part of it had received damage from that particular storm and I could not have any other parts covered, and in fact after my 1000 deductible was paid I would have to go after the depreciated value to get more back (so essentially hardly any money was going towards the repair).

I was not going to be able to get the rest repaired (even though it would never match) because it was from another storm, and it was cosmetic at this time. Now, I have never used my homeowner's insurance, but it goes up every year and I pay it. So, from there it only got worse, as I brought a roof contractor in and he got blown off, even though the claims agent said he was going to work with us after I had called the AAA office of ILLINOIS. Anyhow, I have to bite the bullet in costs to get roof repaired and dump AAA. I will be telling everyone that asks me.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I had a large branch off of a very large tree fall on my garage and backyard fence. AAA sent an adjuster who began our encounter lecturing me about how "some people" want to get their damaged property improved not just repaired. He was obviously insinuating that I was going to do this. I have a 1924 craftsman house is an historic neighborhood. My detached garage was knocked off square, the roof was penetrated gutter and soffit was torn off, and roof rafters were split. The 6' wooden fence was splintered as well as the entryway.

Two cost estimates from a reputable fence firm for the fence was between 5800.00 (if I wanted the archway entryway reconstructed) to 3800.00 if I just wanted a standard gate. I submitted the full replacement quote to the adjuster and was told that they would not pay for the 8' (out of 35') that the main tree had occupied.. The fence was built around the tree. I had to pay 4000.00 to have the tree removed myself and 3' of good fence was taken out to allow the arborists to access the 5' diameter tree to remove it. I sent the adjuster the smaller quote of 3800.00 without the archway and told him I would pay for 800.00 of the cost for the 8' of tree length. They sent me 1200.00.

The garage repair was problematic. Two contractors refused to even quote the job to square up the garage due to liability issues. I insisted that the adjuster contract a structural engineer to determine if the garage could be fixed. Seven months later and a call to his supervisor finally got the engineer on site. I was pleased to hear that the garage can be straightened. In the meantime I had a quote to reroof the garage, sister the rafters, replace the gutter and screens, soffit, and brace the interior..12,000.00. I had the garage insured for 30,000.00.

Final total: Max cost via quotes for garage, limb, and fence..max: 17,300.00.
    Total AAA paid: 6349.00... with depreciation added 8184.77.

My cost including 1000.00 deductible: over 9000.00.

My Advice.. avoid AAA like the plague.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I was hit by hail last May (2019). I still do not have payment (March 2020) for all the damage. We have had to refile our claim six (6) times and we are now waiting for another decision. My contractor stated that this has been the worst company to deal with in my whole area. When I email, they respond that it's in review. When I call, I must leave a message and they do not return my calls. I am ready to go to arbitration if they do not finalize my claim this week. Each check they send is for a small portion of what I need to fully replace the damaged roof, siding, windows and out buildings. Thank goodness my contractor is patient! He is waiting for payment.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I had AAA flood insurance in Tampa, FL for over 20 years and every year they increased my rate by over $100. When I had an Elevation survey done I called them to refund premiums. They said, "Oh we only will refund for the current policy" even though they over charged me about $1400 a year for about 20 years. I told them I got a new Quote. It would be only $826 a year instead of $2,225 a year 2019-2020 price. They somehow stated, "Oh no. The new insurance quote you got from a totally different company can't be right." They said it should be $1568 a year. I went right away to sign up for the new policy and was advised by the agent, "Oh the insurance company called me back and stated they should charge you $1553."

FYI as of 7/2019 new Florida law states that private market flood insurance companies can replace the previous mandatory and only option available was FEMA insurance for flood. Now if you have a conventional loan you have the option of obtaining private flood flood insurance instead. AAA only does FEMA insurance by the way. Long story short they were saying, "Well what do you have in your garage? What kind of equipment." Why so they could look for things to raise my rate in order to not give me a fair quote for the flood insurance based on the elevation certificate. I talked to them every day for a week either by email or phone.

Finally talked to underwriter cause they were asking for pictures of my garage which they already had from the elevation certificate pictures. Underwriter said, "Oh ok I see the roof line. I will fix this and in 48 hours your refund will be processed." Called back 2 days later nothing. She I told her was documented. They said, "Oh we haven't processed anything. You need to fill out these forms." They emailed me the form with the same questions the underwriter asked me 2 days before. The agent I was speaking to had to fill out the form and they made me wait another 2 days to refund me the lowball refund.

AAA are nasty scammers that want to find any reason to not give you a refund and if that is not possible then they want to scam the crap out of you to refund you as little as possible and prolong the refund process as well. I am going to call them every day until my refund is in the mail. Stay away. AAA scammers. No integrity and most of their employees are arrogant and act like they own the company and they will be paying you out of their own paycheck. I don't recommend AAA to anyone and if you are with them run. Cancel. Find another company. They need to be out of business which I am sure they will be very soon by the looks of the reviews and how poorly they are running this company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I am a contractor 30 plus years. Helping a good friend with a claim and tried to talk with adjuster. Long story short is he denied a claim for his inaccurate inspection and told me I had no idea what I was talking about. Called his boss and he was just as arrogant. If ever approached by a John **, you should either get a public adjuster or have him get someone else. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

AAA of Southern California refused to insure my home with the excuse that it is less than 1/2 mile from the Tijuana Estuary. None of other insurance companies ever came up with that excuse. This is quite ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I have had homeowners insurance with AAA for many years. We have been at our home for over three years. I paid my policy in full for $1,400 for the year. I had a question about my policy and they came back and said THEY made a mistake and they demanded I pay $3,800 for my policy or they would cancel my policy. They acknowledged that numerous employees must have made this dramatic mistake. They refused to honour our fully paid policy, based upon their own, alleged mistake. They tried to hold me hostage, because I would have no time to replace my policy. In the end, you must trust your insurance company to stand by you when something bad happens. Do not trust AAA. They clearly do not stand by their customers and appear willing to scam them.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information