AAA Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Michael of Kearney, MO on

I have been with AAA for over 20 years, I have made 3 automobile claims and 1 homeowners claim. Up to this point I have been extremely satisfied with the entire claims process. 8 years ago I had a new roof put on after a hail storm. The deductible at that time was 1,000.00 which compared to a new roof at 8500.00 I was more than satisfied. On Monday March 6th 2017 we had strong storms come thru, spawning several tornados in the area. I was more fortunate than many, I only lost one tree and a 10 by 15 foot are of shingles.

I called AAA to file a claim, I was informed at that time the deductible had increased from the 1,000 to 1 percent of the value I have my home insured for. AAA currently has my home insured for 462,000, meaning my deductible is now 4,620.00 dollars over half the cost of a new roof. In the 20 years I have been with AAA I have watched my premiums more than double, which I accepted because of the great care I had received in the past. When I asked about the deductible increase I was told that it would have been in my annual statement back in 2015. I'm extremely disappointed that my agent Mike ** did not even have the courage to call and let me know in person. After this I will be looking for another insurance company that is for sure. What is even more upsetting is the fact I was told that it could take up to 22 business days to get an adjuster out to look at the damage, leaving my home open to the elements. Are you freaking kidding me.

Cynthia of Belleville, IL on

I sold my house July 15 2015, Have had my insurance for years with AAA, my homeowners was paid through my escrow account from Wells Fargo. I have contacted them, had letters sent to AAA, text messages with attachments from the mortgage company proving my insurance was paid up. And AAA, has ruined my credit with a report saying I owe them $632.00. Crazy. Again last month I spent 1.5 hours on the phone to get to the right department in Nebraska, the guy on the phone promised me he would handle this and get it cleared up.

Wells Fargo again sent me all the documentation, this is the third time. And again I forwarded it to AAA. Someone keeps dropping the ball and losing my documents. It clearly states my escrow account payments and that I did not owe. When I sold my house I sent this documentation with a letter from Wells Fargo stating I was paid in full. I can't seem to get anyone to answer the phone, or return my calls. I told them I was going to drive up to Nebraska and take them to lunch to explain if needed to, like people used to handle a problem...

John of Carmichael, CA on

I've been a customer of AAA for over a decade. I have always been happy with their service until now. During the recent California storm, a giant tree fell on our house, fences down, water damage in house, etc. etc. Three weeks later and there is still a giant tree on my house. Even after a second adjuster came out and provided AAA with an estimate to remove the tree - even after we garnered several estimates to have the tree removed by professionals, the best I get is a very rude woman in Oklahoma named Courtney ** that says the estimates seem high to her. (They are her own adjuster's estimates.)

I cannot get a call back from my actual adjuster. I'm just getting the runaround from people in the Catastrophe department who are trying to nickel and dime us. They are extremely rude, unintelligent, and de-humanizing. I've got a hole in my house and water damage right under the hole. They insist that this water damage is caused by "seeping" in the foundation - even though they are looking at pictures of a hole right above the water damage. The best I get in response from Mr. Ty ** is "we're going to have to agree to disagree."

This is an absolute nightmare. I have no idea what happened to the AAA that used to be. We pay for homeowners insurance for a reason, and have been willing to pay AAA a little more than other companies because of the great customer service they have always provided. But that customer service is no more. We are absolutely going to be going with another company as soon as this is wrapped up.

rita of Banning, CA on

I live in California, and we have had lots of unusual rain since the beginning of the year. I didn't think to call AAA at the time when the leak started on my roof into my house. I would put a trash cam out to catch the leak. I paid a man to go on my roof to find the leak. He put down large pieces of shingles and tar in areas he thought it was nut that didn't work. I was informed to call my homeowners insurance which is AAA. When the claim adjuster was here in two minutes he said he can't see any damage from the rain. I told them I had to have it covered or it would have continue to rain inside. It shows where the damage came inside of the house and left a hole. AAA is not what it says. I am searching for new insurance. The customer service are rude and if it was a manager I spoke with he wasn't any better. The official office is in Texas.

Elizabeth of Carpinteria, CA on

Given the other reviews, I feel I don't have to elaborate: 25 years with AAA, 3 claims in 25 years. Water claim - all good and paid until I found another source of leak and damage (prior to repairs). Although it was all the same damage, adjuster insisted on a second claim. I paid $500 deductible again. Upon renewal, water deductible increased by 1000% to $5000. Cannot get another carrier to take us because of the two claims!!! Trapped by AAA, grrr. Be persistent; after 4 calls and denials, I got Geico who had been good with car. Premium lower for same coverage. Discovered that person at AAA wrote the policy incorrectly and undercovered for A and over for C. Steer clear of AAA. They used to be great. I don't know what happened. I filed a claim with the insurance administration www.insurance.ca.gov.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Keri of Safford, AZ on

AAA homeowners insurance disaster experience, Oct 8, 2016, low-quality service, lies, phone dodging, delayed services. Avoid this company, no value, the lowest quality service, liars, punks, etc, feces eating weasels, failure to respond in a timely manner, nonpayment of policy clauses. After natural disaster took so-called adjuster over 30 days to view damage, claims we need to replace all windows before they will pay claim (one was broken). Have given us 2 weeks to rectify damages (without compensation) or they will cancel policy. They are no good, not one of them, phone lines were destroyed. So called claims adjuster (Grace in Oklahoma) said she could not contact us (she was given cell phone number), family was living in hotel room. These people are running a scam, no good. ADIOS pedejo AAA.

Jonathan of Rancho Cucamonga, CA on

Initially when we found water damage, due to an appliance, we were happy to have AAA renters ins. They took care of all of our needs. We did not have to worry about a thing. Then the premium adjustment came in the mail. Going forward there would be a $5k deductible on any water damage for the whole home. Keep in mind that it was previously $500. So their policy is this - If you move into a 20 year home with a 10 year old dishwasher that leaks the risk is low and your deductible is only $500, but if you put in a new Dishwasher after finding water damage the risk is too high to cover so the deductible $5k. I hope you are getting the sarcasm here. The real risk has been replaced yet AAA insists that the deductible is now $5k for the whole home. Ludicrous!!!

I appealed 4 times to try and reach someone with a half a brain who could logically work it out and realize that the real risk of water damage is actually now much less that it was previously to no avail. I canceled my policy and got a quote from Geico. I disclosed the water damage claim in my application and not only was the coverage matched with the $500 deductible but it was also a lower Premium. Do not use AAA homeowners or renters insurance. No one in their underwriting department has a brain that they can use!!!

Raman of San Diego, CA on

Auto and home insurance were issued and they cancelled the home insurance after 2 months because I had one small claim for water damage in 15 yrs of owning a home. I had disclosed this at the time of insurance and the agent raised the deductible to 5000 at the time of signing. They cancelled the home and when I tried to cancel the auto they charged a huge short term cancellation fee even though it was their mistake. The insurance agent was not knowledgeable and their customer service agents had no idea of what they are talking about. This is a bad club.

Michael of Saint Louis, MO on

Had a partial loss fire on February 8, 2016, and at first the AAA adjuster appeared to be very competent and willing to get us back on our feet. I realize now that they were leading us down the path to slaughter. Their repair estimate includes a sponge wipe and repainting of most of the walls, then ozone treated. For some unknown reason, AAA considers this a thorough job. I had to hire my own experts who are all saying that the house needs to be gutted and rebuilt. Also, after requiring us to try to clean our personal property, it's coming back looking like hell. Now, AAA is refusing to pay us to replace it. Everything still smells like smoke and our adjuster simply pushes the issue off on the contractors (they're crooks too). Their actions are putting the health of my family at risk. Horrible company and horrible experience. As soon as the lawyers are done, my business is going elsewhere. NEVER USE AAA!!!

Casey of Penngrove, CA on

I found out while trying to get a proof of insurance card to send the DMV that AAA had decided not to cover me anymore. I don't yet know why. It seems to have happened around the same time I cancelled my renter's insurance with them, due to poor customer service. I guess that since things were bundled they just dumped both. I had assumed they would just charge me the premium difference, but apparently not. Absolutely no communication, and now I learn we've been uninsured six months or so. I'd check online, but their website is so archaic that it wouldn't do any good. A few years ago I got in a wreck and they were fine, but there's no excuse for this kind of reckless and possibly illegal activity.

Kimberly of Russellville, KY on

I had a house fire on September 18th. My adjuster left major things off my scope. I have broken windows from the fire department that are to be "cleaned" not replaced, sheet rock cracked and falling that he wants cleaned and painted, I could go on and on with problems with our scope. It was almost 2 weeks before we got an adjuster to our house and now they won't return my phone calls after messages left. We still are without clothes due to them having to be sent back to be cleaned 3 times and continue to smell like smoke but AAA refuses to give us the go ahead to replace. Meanwhile I have 3 children at home. They have been an absolute nightmare to deal with. We have never had a homeowner's claim until now and today receive notice they are raising our insurance $1300. I would not recommend AAA to anyone.

Jasonya of Stockton, CA on
I just made a claim today, 10/18/2016. I told them that there were two holes in the roof. They asked what kind of roofing I had, explained they would have an inspector come out. The claims agent, Tosha, told me that if it was approved, they would fix the roof and IF WE WANTED, they would cover the interior damage.

I come home, and my husband tells me an inspector called HIM, made an appointment, and immediately told my husband (without even LOOKING at the damage), that they would not cover the roof (exterior) damage and would only maybe fix the interior damage! WHAT??? Why the hell would the claims agent ask me what kind of roofing we had and ask if we would want INTERIOR fixed along with EXTERIOR if they DON'T cover exterior!

I feel and smell a LAWSUIT! My husband is a lawyer and he is GOOD at what he does. I will NOT put up with this. I have read the many disturbing claims from homeowners who thought they could TRUST AAA and I see that there is a HUGE problem here. Hmmm, maybe a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? That would taste GOOD!

Ca of City, CA on

Filed a claim for water damage to kitchen - was paid. One for bathroom - denied due to below $750.00 deductible. Adjuster booked payment to the denied claim so our record showed 2 paid claims in the last 6 years. Renewal denied. We complained. Finally it was fixed but now AAA is offering a renewal with a $5000.00 deductible. Paybacks? I get a higher premium for 1 paid claim in a 6 year period, but $5k!!!

Charles of Bakersfield, CA on

Do not use AAA for homeowner's insurance! I had a massive leak under my kitchen sink that caused a lot of damage. The adjuster from AAA said that it was my responsibility. After 17 years without a claim they deny me when I needed them the most. Useless company that tries to get out of paying any claims. Look up all the complaints made to ConsumerAffairs. They also raised my rates right after the claim was made even though there was no coverage. AAA reputation has seriously suffered for good reason.

Barry of Waseca, MN on

My mother had water damage to her basement from a sump back up and sewage drain issue. She called AAA and the representative told her to call Service Master to clean up the mess as he would be covered. She proceeded down this path and then 5 days later the claims agent came out to conduct a review, during the review he told her how tired he was having to travel all over the state and that he just wanted to wrap things up quickly, she appeased his request and he left. 10 days later the adjuster Kurt and AAA representative Kris call my 78 year old mother and double team her answering her questions with No No No. My mother was very upset and called me to see if I would help. I called Service Master for their report and it indicated 100% saturation day 1 and the water source being the sump and drain which is covered under the policy.

When I called AAA Kris was unprofessional and rude. He told me he did not receive the report from Service Master and would like to see it. I said how can you take a position without reviewing all the facts so I sent it on to him. He called a few days later and was rude again stating the claim was denied because the sump line broke outside of the home creating the water issue, I stated that was not 100% correct as the sump bucket and drain caused some of the water issues as well. I asked if I could speak to his manager and he said no but gave me his number, and then stated, "You do whatever you want to do. The claim is denied." I could not believe the treatment and quickly realized the treatment my elderly mother received from the AAA team. If you are a senior, stay away from this company. They are not helpful and you are paying insurance premiums for a policy that doesn't protect you. Beware!

Debbie of Livonia, NY on

I have been a AAA member for many years; I switched my car insurance to them when they began offering it and was very pleased with the smooth transition, so when homeowners insurance was also available I took that as well. I have made no claims on either policy. I was surprised by the letter I received in June that I would have to make an appointment with an inspector who would be contacting me to come and take pictures inside & outside of plumbing, electric, etc. I have made many improvements in the last few years including electrical work, new furnace, new water lines & drains & new roof.

7 weeks after the inspection I received a very curt letter informing me my home "did not meet their criteria" and my policy was being cancelled! There were 4 very minor issues listing "damaged" soffits & siding and a "missing" section of gutter. I feel like they were looking for any excuse to drop me because I have an old (100+ years) house? I am using the 6 months left on my policy to shop around for new car & homeowners insurance from a company that values and respects a good customer who's never missed a payment.

Kathy of Brownstown Twp, MI on

We made a claim on our roof due to wind damage. We lost several shingles and had others that broke. About 30 sq feet of roof the shingles lifted up during storm and seal was broken. Adjuster came out and said only front of house was damaged even though roofer showed me damage on back of roof. When AAA said they would only pay for the front of roof I asked to have someone come back out. This time they admitted that there was damage done to the back of the roof but here's the kicker. They told me a FEW of the shingles had the nails put into hi (about a 1/4 of an inch) and they would not cover it. Then to top it off they raised my insurance $240 a month. I am canceling my policy with AAA and so is my Mother and sister and anyone else that I can convince too. I recommend that, if you're reading this, you do too!!!

Brian of Angier, NC on

Signed up for AAA Homeowners insurance. Later started an in ground pool project with county work permit in place. AAA gave me 2 weeks to "have water in the pool or they would cancel the policy." (Very unrealistic requirement under the circumstances.) As deadline approached - they wanted a picture of water going into the pool. I sent them one. Then at 5 min to close of business, they said they wanted a picture of the pool full (it was filling). The next business day I get a call from my MTG company saying my policy is no longer in effect. TO HELL WITH AAA, I will now cx my AAA car insurance and cx my motor club as well. I have 4 kids, who will NEVER do business with AAA and as I can influence the next gen after that, I will too.

Breezy of South Hackensack, NJ on

I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH AAA. I WAS DISPLACED DUE TO A FIRE IN MY RENTED HOME. I lost everything and I had a mother daughter residence. When I called AAA the day of fire and displacement they assured me I would have some funds allocated to my account. It was a Friday and a Holiday weekend. The money never appeared. We Sat broke in our hotel room Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues. On Wed I went to bank. It was confirmed that AAA put my funds in someone else's account. Next I had to find temporary housing. After a local co. failed and had poor service assistance we found a 3 bedroom place on my own. When I called AAA to notify them the claims specialist handling my case was away on vacation for a week and he had no coverage!

Week 2 at hotel at 1800 plus dollars a week that sent me too. Week 3 begins at the hotel and still no results. I had a home with a sunporch and 2 floors of bedrooms and living space. I had a basement with a washer and dryer. I will not be told where I have to live and how I have to spend the next 6 months of my life. I am extremely disappointed with AAA and how they don't handle claims properly. There is no accounting for their lax attitudes and work ethics towards their customers. We are 4 people displaced. I am sickened and disgusted that I am being treated as non emergent. I paid my insurance faithfully as they expected. I am in need now due to fire and being displeased. I EXPECT THE SAME!

Diana of Mayville, MI on

I called AAA after noticing the barn roof had caved in after the ice storms a couple of years ago. Not being sure if it was covered, I had the agent come and check it out. After checking the barn, she proceeded to get on top of the polebarn (I never asked her to check that roof). I had a water leak in the basement and asked if it was worth claiming. After checking that out, she said the roof was not covered but the basement leak was.

AAA sent out a crew called Professional Restoration Services who boxed everything up and took it to a warehouse stating that they would clean everything and bring it back. Months later, everything came back boxed up. I didn't open the boxes for months until I was looking for something. Unbelievably, they had placed everything in boxes and brought it back literally the same way... Nothing was ever cleaned. On top of that, they tracked black basement water all over my breezeway after I just had it cleaned. I had to pay out of pocket to have it steam cleaned again.

Then to make matters worse, I got a letter saying AAA was excluding both my barn and pole barn from my policy because of bad roofs. AAA had me go through the hassle of figuring out the value of everything and putting what year it was purchased... Only to say everything was worth 50% of the value I had listed. They paid me 2,870.00 and Professional Restoration Services over 5,000.00 just to box up my stuff and return it dirty. Nothing was ever done to clean the basement nor breezeway floors. For this only time that I ever made a homeowners claim, my insurance is significantly higher and now it is difficult to change insurances because of the one claim.

My auto insurance has been just as bad with AAA. I have gotten nowhere when I have complained. After the agent called me introducing herself and stating she was here to help me, my insurance was once again jacked up because I mentioned that my son was in the army. She asked if he stays with me when he comes home. She then put him on my insurance even though he has his own. She stated "that is the law."

Now my auto insurance is also 400.00 higher than it was. I am extremely disgusted with AAA and would never recommend them to anyone. Their practices are underhanded and definitely not pro consumer. I plan on complaining to the Better Business Bureau and anyone else to prevent other consumers from having the same bad experiences as I have had with them.

Anna of Phila, PA on

I have AAA car insurance and was happy with it for several years, until I had a problem. Customer service was awful, agent was never available to talk, email was only an option. This year I requested a quote for home insurance. Since I already had a car insurance with AAA, I expected to get a good deal. I was not provided the quote automatically. Later in the day I was contacted by the agent via email, who sent me a list of questions I needed to answer prior getting a quote. I was not buying the insurance. I just needed a quote for purchasing a house but I was asked to provide so many little details about the house like I was a current owner.

Along with the questionnaire I was provided with a non working direct number of the agent. I responded back to the agent and asked to clarify the questions. Unfortunately, I missed the call from the agent but when I called back, the agent told me that he was busy with another caller and will give me a call back. Never received a call back. Next day I requested another quote from AAA. Another agent contacted me with the similar questions. When I answer them, she sent me my quote, which was the highest I got from other companies.

When I printed details, the value of my house for the insurance was $10K more than an actual cost of the house. They wanted me to pay for an air. I got back to the agent pointing the difference. The response was very short and rude. "I don't have any other quote for you, the system does it automatically and if I change the price of the house, the difference will be only $100." Really??? Only $100? For them it's nothing. I realize that AAA is good only until you have no problem. If there is a problem, you can't trust this company.

Laurie of Milford, NH on

I just switched to AAA a few months ago for both auto and home. I have had to jump through hoops for the homeowners. I was sent a list of things that needed to be done to my home - trampoline removed (understood), soot around pipe from pellet stove removed (fire hazard?), and my house painted (exposed?). They also wanted to know if my pellet stove was "home made". I didn't know there was such a thing. Anyway, I told them I would address the things over the summer and never received any additional correspondence so I assumed that time frame was satisfactory.

This morning I opened my mail to find a "refund check" for cancellation of policy and no further information. I had no idea what is what or which policy (home, auto, or both). After I called the number, and also received a return email from my contact, I discover it was canceled due to the trampoline and soot. I never received any notice - even though I was told a letter from the underwriter was sent in May. I have had no insurance since July 2. I am livid. All the items had been taken care of, I just didn't think to send pictures since I really didn't think it was a rush since they didn't reply to my email saying it would all be done over the summer. I have been waiting for 6 hours for a return call from a manager. I have no choice at this point but to re-instate through them (effective tomorrow) but I plan to find another company.

After reading these reviews, and what I have just experienced I can only imagine the kind of coverage they provide, and it is not a company I want to deal with. They were roughly $300 a year cheaper than the company I had for the last 13 years, but you know the saying "you get what you pay for". I would not recommend this company to anyone. And my contact, who was initially very helpful and polite before I switched over, suddenly had an attitude with me anytime I had questions. Live and learn.

Jackie of White Bear Lake, MN on

We've had AAA for about 15 years. They used to be a very good company. They have gone way downhill. We had two huge trees fall on and destroy our 30x31x12 garage. The adjuster was a jerk, impatient and argumentative. We purchased replacement value insurance and apparently our agent screwed up and didn't tell us it had a cap on detached buildings. Naturally we were upset. We wouldn't get even a third of the replacement costs. He kept defending the agent by telling us we did have replacement coverage. Frankly I think it should be illegal to sell insurance as replacement value when it replaces nothing... very deceiving. The policy had an exclusion for "out buildings" so our 30x36x12 garage was given the same consideration as an outdoor biffy. He argued every little thing when we lost everything and was rude about it. So deceived and disgusted.

Louis of Tulsa, OK on

Wood floors - 3/4" Oak 3" distressed Planks - were ruined due to a broken waterline flood. Adjuster came out and I received their estimate of damage. After looking at the adjusters allowed area to be replaced it was obvious by the visible "cupping" of the wood that he had underestimated the damaged area (Note: he did not do a moisture scan of the floor and substrate). I declined utilizing AAA recommended Contractors and contacted a Flooring contractor whose work I am familiar with. My contractor came out and performed a floor scan which showed the wood and also the plywood substrate over the concrete floor were saturated during the flooding and were still wet. The adjuster allowed for partial replacement of existing wood (~80% of total) with unfinished wood which would require staining to match existing. He made no allowance for replacement of the plywood substrate.

In staining the wood it would be required that the house be vacated for ~72 hours due to the fumes and the access to rooms in the house. Once again the adjuster was apparently unaware of this requirement and did not allow for temporary housing. Substrate replacement, additional damaged wood and temporary lodging were omitted from the financial insurance reimbursement offer provided me.

Upon examining the damage to the flooring my contractor (35 years in business) advised that the entire Wood Floor and plywood substrate be replaced with Pre-Stained equivalent. A 3/4" thick - 3" Oak Distressed pre-stained Plank was found which has a similar stain to the damaged floor (Bruce CR3455). The contractor presented a bid for turn key replacement for $2,013.37 more than the AAA offer. Note that AAA did not include Substrate removal and replacement, Omitted over 150 SF of damaged area, required staining and did not allow for temporary housing during staining. My contractor submitted his itemized bid to the AAA adjuster June 9, 2016. On the same date, I sent an email to the adjuster with the justification I outlined above, and attached a copy of the itemized bid and also left a voicemail on his cell phone.

After not hearing back from him I re-sent the email requesting an update. He called me saying he had been out of pocket but received my info. On 6/18 the Contractor called me to advise he had heard nothing from AAA. On June 21st I once again requested feedback with no response and on June 22nd I forward all information to the Manager of adjustments requesting a phone call -- 3:30 pm on June 23 and still no call back.

A little bit about my background/experience - I'm a licensed Real Estate Broker, Perform inspections and price opinions to Mortgage companies on the condition and repair costs on their foreclosed properties; I also am a Project Manager responsible for compiling estimates of construction repairs/new installations, and oversee the bid process and bid awards to contractors -- So this ain't my first rodeo in this arena but it's the first Homeowners claim I've made in the 20 years in my house (~5 yrs with AAA.) Needless to say I'm not impressed.

Pamela of Huntington Beach, CA on

I have carried Triple A for 4 cars and homeowner's insurance for over 13 years. In all that time, I have never made a homeowner claim. But two weeks ago, I came home to water dripping on the ceiling of my bathroom and then a flood when the toilet above my bathroom broke and flooded a pipe burst. Opening the ceiling, the plumber who fixed the toilet found mold. Before an adjuster came out, I spoke to someone in claims who told me the mold could grow quickly from the flood or be from long-term leaking, the latter which is not covered.

Of course, the adjuster determined the mold was from long-term leaking and would deny the claim despite her admitting that she could not separate which damage was caused by the covered burst pipe and which from long term leaking. She warned me before even looking that she might find that the damage is not covered if the leak undetected by me occurred before the pipe burst. It was apparent she came to my house with her mind made up to deny the claim. She spent five minutes and took four pictures by lifting her phone into a six inch by six inch square cut into the ceiling, and then said the mold was due to long term leaking.

When I asked her qualifications to make such a determination about the mold after five minutes and four pictures, she said she took classes with Triple A.

Now I am forced to either pay for an expert to challenge her findings, which is not something I can afford as I cannot even afford to repair the damage to the drywall and flooring and remove the mold. I believe the denial is in bad faith. Besides, maybe all insurance companies do this, but how can an insurance company write a policy that does not cover damage for undetected slow leaks that cause damage? It must be common enough that an insurance company wouldn't insure it--or else they would actually have to pay out rather than simply collect.

Lakeisha of Baltimore, MD on

On April 21, 2016, I experienced a water leak that caused damage to my bottom cabinets and floor. The process started pretty good. The adjuster came out assessed the damage. The lady who was working on my claim seem to be pleasant and professional. I was going to use their recommended contractors until everything started going a mess. First they bring me cabinets that doesn't match and then they tell me it wasn't enough to replace my granite floors, that I can only get floors that cost $5.00 square footage. Once I seen how they were trying to go about it I didn't want to use them.

I informed my claims adjuster of the situation and she informed me that she can send me the check to rebuild but it's only for the amount that was estimated and it would be 7-14 to receive the check and it did take that long. As of today I am still without use of a kitchen. I had to buy food for us to eat everyday because we can't cook. I'm told that they can only give me 23.47 after I have spent over 600.00 in food and I paid my neighbor to use her kitchen a few times because my family and I do not have one.

S. D. of Fremont, CA on

I have been with AAA since 1992 for home, auto, and earthquake. Recently filed a claim for a roof leak after major rainstorms in Northern California. After many weeks and inspections, AAA is not covering the damage apparently because the construction is defective. Now I got a letter from them stating that if I did not fix the defect, they would not entertain future claims. Can you believe that? This is a complete SCAM.

Jose of Chicago, IL on

I have had AAA auto and home insurance for 10 years. I had filed a small claim back in 2008 for my basement and basically received around 1,500 payout. There was wind damage back in November 2015 where my roof tiles were flying off along with many of my neighbors roof tiles. I saw that there were adjusters in the area so I decided to file a claim with them. It took the insurance company about 3 months to send someone to my house because they kept saying the weather did not allow them due to snow/ice. Meanwhile birds decided to make a home between my gutters/fascia. When they finally came out the adjuster noted all of the damage and told me this would definitely be covered. Also shingles came off of my garage, gutters were loose, and blew a section of my fence down.

After a month or so of chasing AAA they send a forensic engineer to study my roof and take thousands of pictures. Well this didn't seem right to me from the start and I asked him why was he there if the adjuster already went, he just said this was their process. I knew in the back of my mind that from him coming out to my property that AAA would rather pay an engineering company thousands of dollars to avoid paying for my damage to my roof, garage, gutters, and fence. Because that's exactly what they did. They told my public adjuster that the engineering report said the material and installation was faulty and they would not cover me. Imagine that after they gave my adjuster the runaround saying why was I using an adjuster when I could have filed my own claim it seemed they did not even want to work with him from the start.

This is the worst insurance company ever and I filed a claim with the Illinois department of insurance and I am waiting for an outcome. Isn't there a law that says they cannot tell me it's covered and then take that back later. This seems very unfair and unjust and I am definitely switching to Allstate or State Farm. These seem to be the better companies.

Thomas of Clermont, FL on

I have been a member of AAA for many years. Last year I decided to get our Auto & Homeowners insurance with them because our other policies kept going up in price, and AAA had a better price. Sounds great, until you have to make a claim! Our house in Clermont, Fl developed a roof leak which I repaired. I then called 3 roofing companies to see if the roof needed replaced and for estimates if it did. We were told it did need replaced & that we had hail damage from a storm in June 2015 which passed over our neighborhood. We therefore called AAA insurance & filed a claim. They sent out their own inspector who said our roof has missing granules due to manufacturing defects (the roof is a 25-year roof and was 15 years old at the time).

Our roofer disagreed with them, so AAA paid a Certified Engineer who took photos of many spots on the roof showing the granules missing, and the fibers showing, also little dents on the metal roof ridge vent, & even the AC unit which showed spots which they attributed to hail damage, but they concluded that the asphalt shingles did not have broken fiberglass fibers so subsequently did not qualify as sufficient damage to justify roof replacement. They also said in their written report that the screens on our lanai had no hail damage (We do not even have screens on our lanai!). Our roofer specializes in dealing with insurance claims and has much experience in this area. In the past 9 months they have replaced 10 roofs in our immediate neighborhood due to the same hail damage that damaged our roof. These included our next door neighbor, the house across the street, several houses behind our house in the two streets behind us, etc.

Each house has happened to have a different insurance company, and ours with AAA has been the only one to refuse to pay for a roof replacement. Our roofer has hired an attorney to represent us and has filed for court mediation, which can take several months. AAA might have the best prices, but what good is that if they refuse to pay when you must file a claim? We will be changing to a different company and will look at reviews before we do.

Valorie of Checotah, OK on

Right now I have 2 claims going. The auto will be dropped in 2 days because AAA would not remove my ex husband from the car policy in February. Per judge they removed in April. Too late he already vandalized my car. They say you can't sue yourself. NOW I just had a tornado hit my house and backyard. Very large probably over 30 foot trees were brought down. Unless the trees are on a structure they don't mess with it. The disaster relief people could only go so far with tree removal. There are three large ones intertwined.

City and other agencies declare area too dangerous for people to be around. They aren't doing anything about the house roof. They are going to give money for replacement of the roof on garage but not covering garage itself which is coming down. They won't cover any of that. More than 50 feet of fence needs to be replaced. They want to pay a little over 2000 dollars not to mention a 1500 dollar deductible which was incorrect. That wouldn't even come near fixing the tree problem. Specialist have to do it or it could take out the back of my property as well as the neighbors.

I'm on disability and don't know how this is going to work out. They don't want to reimburse for work already done before the big storm that came in the next day. The contractor said he had been doing this for years and never saw anything like it. Storm happened April 26th and I'm still waiting. Big mess. Tornadic storms expected in area tomorrow. I have to walk my dogs - they can't go in their backyard. I talked to a friend that did my old insurance. Sure do miss them and can't wait to go back. Years with them no problem with claims, shouldn't have ever left. Talking to an attorney tomorrow. They switch adjusters all the time and payout keeps getting lower. Stay away from AAA. Please.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AAA is a large, nationwide insurance company that offers various types of insurance. While AAA is best known for its auto insurance policies, it also offers homeowners insurance policies to interested parties.

• Company accessibility: AAA is nationwide and a convenient option for people who live across America. Thus, no matter where a person lives, he or she will have access to a AAA office and representatives who can serve him or her quickly.
  • Advanced technology for consumers: This homeowners insurance company has an extremely extensive online presence, making it easy to interact and do business with the company no matter where the homeowner is located. With AAA, customers can get quotes, communicate with customer service representatives, ask questions and more.
  • One-stop shop: AAA can be a convenient place for homeowners to get all of their insurance policies, including auto insurance and pet insurance.
  • Insurance: AAA is a known for being a car insurer, and their reputation as a homeowners insurance company is much newer.
  • Customer service: AAA homeowners insurance is a large, corporate company with many employees, increasing the risk of inconsistent customer service.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners