Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

AAA is well known for its auto insurance, but it also sells homeowners insurance. If you're already an AAA member, you can qualify for several discounts on your policy. Bundling your auto insurance from AAA with your homeowners insurance is a great option if you're looking to save.

BOTTOM LINE

AAA homeowners insurance provides excellent discounts and pricing. Options and coverage vary by club, but the overall coverage is reliable.

PROS

• Good coverage
  • Several discounts
  • Great pricing

CONS

• Fewer options with certain AAA clubs

Top AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Had a violent windstorm a few years back that caused an oak tree to fall on and crush my attached garage. A day later, my AAA guy was at my home evaluating the damage... They were able to begin reconstruction the NEXT day... They are a sterling insurance company that values me as a client.

I have a good relationship with my representative at AAA. I've only had to make a claim once, when lightning damaged some valuable computer equipment, but I was really pleased with the service. Steve handled my claim in a timely manner, knowing that I depend on my computer for my living.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

How does AAA homeowners insurance work?

You can purchase AAA homeowners insurance whether or not you're an existing AAA member. However, if you're a member, you get multiple discount opportunities. Most AAA homeowners insurance meets HO-3 standards, meaning it covers your home, personal property and liability. However, policy options and discounts vary depending on the AAA club you belong to.

AAA homeowners insurance cost

AAA has some of the cheapest homeowners insurance quotes available. Below, we have examples of annual rates — keep in mind that factors like home location and value affect your premium, so yours may look different.

Estimated AAA homeowners insurance annual premiums

Value of homeEstimated annual rate
$75,000$560
$150,000$950
$200,000$1,200
$350,000$1,850

AAA homeowners insurance discounts

Several discounts from AAA help lower the cost of your home insurance, including:

• Smoke detector and home alarm: If you have either of these devices, you can receive up to 15% off your policy.
  • New home: Depending on the age of your home, you can get a discount of up to 40%.
  • Hail-resistant roof: For hail-resistant roofs, expect a discount of up to 35%.
  • New home renovations: If you make new renovations to your home, you can save up to 23% on your premiums.
  • Retiree: If you’re 55 years or older and don’t work, you can get up to 10% off your policy.
  • No claims: If you don't make a claim for three years, you get a discount of up to 13%.

What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?

Most homeowners insurance from AAA are HO-3 policies. HO-3 insurance covers property damage caused by all perils (e.g., fire, lightning, vandalism) except specifically listed exclusions (e.g., pests, wear and tear) and covers personal property damage attributed to named perils (e.g., theft, smoke damage). The basic types of coverage offered by AAA include:

• Dwelling protection
  • Liability protection
  • Personal property protection
  • Guest medical protection
  • Additional living expense coverage
  • Other structures protection

AAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Does AAA homeowners insurance cover mold?
For clubs in most areas, AAA insurance covers mold, but some clubs do not offer full coverage for mold.
Who underwrites AAA homeowners insurance?
The policy underwriter varies by AAA club. Individual clubs outsource homeowners insurance policies to third-party providers.
What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?
AAA homeowners insurance covers damage to your home, your personal possessions and liability. Coverage options vary by club.
Is AAA homeowners insurance cheap?
Yes, AAA homeowners insurance is cheap compared with similar coverage offered by competitors.

Is AAA good homeowners insurance?

We think AAA homeowners insurance is worth it, especially if you're an AAA member and can take advantage of the numerous discounts. Coverage and pricing vary based on which club holds your membership, so the best thing to do is get a quote and decide if the protection is worth the cost. If so, AAA homeowners insurance will serve your needs well.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm 61 years old and been in the service business for over 35 years. I have dealt with many insurance companies for businesses and homeowners but I have never seen or experienced such unreliable, unprofessional service, as the agents were completely incompetent. They kept changing everything they promised from pricing to requirements. The experience was so bad, that I went out of my way to report it to the Consumer Affairs which I have never done as a 61 year old man.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I wasn't sure about AAA home insurance until now. We had wind and hail damage. 2 Roofers came out and gave us pictures and pointed out where the wind and hail damage was and where some shingles flew off. The AAA adjuster came out really fast and claims there was absolutely no wind and hail damage. Incredible. These people are totally incompetent. I've never seen such a home insurance company like this. Maybe they thought they were looking at a car? Now we have to go through a review/appeal process. I don't know how anyone can give them a good review unless it's all fake. One way to hide your mistakes.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Maria ** Complainant against AAA Automobile Club of Southern California under claim# **. On May 20, 2020 at about 5:45 am trying to get ready for my lung biopsy needle procedure. My sister – Amelia ** was screaming stating water all over the place especially in her bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Almost entire first floor rooms were flooded. I went ahead and shut down the main water valve outside the house. I called a plumber and have my brother – James ** assisted him since I was on my way to the Saddleback hospital at that time. While on my way to the hospital I also called AAA Automobile Club of Southern CA and reported the incidence. I spoke with Ms. Jessica ** and provided me claim#**. Ms. Jessica ** stated that someone or an adjuster will be calling me. I mentioned to Ms. Jessica ** to speak with my daughter Elaine ** for now due to my health condition.

When I came back from hospital the plumber along with Procore restoration told me that slab leak was from caused by hot water high pressure. Due to water trying to find the way out it causes water leakage spread out even between the slab and tile caused a tile to crack and others with hallow sound or ready to pop. I cannot really communicate or talked that much to my plumber (Chris) and Procore (Mr. Gerardo **) at that time due to just got out from hospital. They were respectful and understood what I am going through. They all made sure water shut down and advise us to call my insurance to get a temporary shelter.

In spite of my health condition I have been trying to contact my adjuster Mr. Sean ** but most of the time either he is not there or our schedule does not tag along. On May 22, 2020 I talked to him about our situation. Mr. Sean ** mentioned that he is going to send Serv Pro. I said I already committed with ProCore restoration team/ Premier and as an insurer I have the rights to get who I wanted. I told him that I trusted my team and they will be my spoke persons due to my health condition.

I was scheduled to have a lobectomy and trying to recuperate but all of these just got aggravated big time. Instead of me recuperating from my health issues talking with AAA adjuster Mr. Sean ** made it worst physically and mentally especially when I spoke with him on May 22, 2020. Mr. Sean ** kept saying it is time for him to go or go home. I kept telling him that I just got out of the hospital and scheduled for surgery. He is not concerned about what my health conditions. Instead he kept saying it is time for him to go home. Mr. Sean ** customer service was really aggravated my health conditions. I told Mr. Sean ** that the ProCore team are starting the restoration and my family needed a temporary shelter. Mr. Sean ** kept telling that without the plumbing status of work it cannot be done. He kept telling me that he needs to go now or go home then he said, "You can talk to my supervisor."

So, I went ahead and talked to his supervisor Ms. **. She told me that we can go ahead and find somewhere to stay and call back Tuesday May 26, 2020. I told Ms. ** that Mr. Sean ** specifically told me that without the status of work from plumber we cannot do that and I don’t want to jeopardize that. I told Ms. ** as well please be aware that it’s long weekend (due to Memorial Day weekend) hard to get book for hotel at anywhere. I told her that the total persons live in my house are nine (9). It is hard to get a house or hotel. It will cost a lot to get a hotel to accommodate all of us. I also told her my health conditions that I am trying to recuperate but instead Mr. Sean ** aggravated it.

I am very pleased with ProCore restoration (Mr. Gerardo **) and Premier Restoration Services Inc. (Mr. James **) for helping me all the way. My team really do an excellent job. They are professionals and knowledgeable. They are my representative especially Mr. James ** from Premier Restoration. From the reports I have been getting from AAA investigators such as Paley, Soil inspector, and so forth I will say Premier Restoration Services Inc and ProCore restoration are more honest, knowledgeable and experts. They are highly recommendable, I don’t understand why in the beginning Mr. Sean ** change his way of dealing with my claim after I explained I am going to use my own people. I feel like after I told him I am going to use my own people he was mad and I believe the delays I am going through is out of retaliation of not using his contractors. I am sorry I can use his contractors. Even their repair contractor made a mistake with the drywall in the garage. I don’t trust their contractor.

We have been with AAA Automobile Club of Southern California members for so long approximately 30 years. We bought our house on November 6, 2018 and use AAA as home insurance. Now that I am getting these bad experiences from AAA no doubt that 30 years being a member will end. AAA adjuster Mr. Sean ** and his team made us stays in Airbnb from May 29, 2020 up to now. AAA is paying for that temporary shelter and I thank them for that but that’s not cost effective at all.

AAA are doing lots of investigations wasting time instead of resolving the issues and get it done. Proofs been submitted but they wanted their own results and hire their own people that they can manipulate the results. They hired Paley Stone & Tile Forensics also known as Atlas to investigate. Our existing tile was discontinued, which meant insurance should pay to replace the existing floor. Paley Stone & Tile Forensics was hired to lie and provide a report so that AAA would not be liable.

I just don’t know why AAA kept sending their hired experts to investigate my property when all proofs provided. I am not an expert or good at plumbing, maintenance, and so forth but I have common sense that I can see what’s going on. he water leak or flooding was beyond my or our control. I don’t believe AAA is handling my claim with good faith, because they are taking too long. They don’t give me information I have to ask Mr. James ** to get me an update. When he asks them for information they take a long time to answer. Sometimes he has to remind them they are supposed to respond by a certain time, and then finally they respond. For example the Policy. It took over 3 weeks to produce my policy. If it take that long to produce my policy then how can the adjuster make coverage determinations.

I believe this is Mr. Sean ** way of discriminating against me because I did not use his contractor. If they is the way he is bullying me that’s not how you do business. This whole claim is taking too long. I want to get back to normal as soon as possible. I read other complaints online about AAA and now I see those complaints are true, because I am living the same experience.

Maria

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Recently we had to file for damages on our dwelling for roof damage. I was shocked to find that our $2500.00 deductible was actually $7000.00 with AAA's ACV damage program. We did sign up for a full coverage program, but as soon as our roof reached the 10 year mark, (now 12) they automatically added the ACV endorsement to our 12 year old roof. What a shock. The $2500.00 was expected, the additional high cost was not. Taking out a 6500.00 loan on our home is the only option to complete the repairs. Buyer beware. Our complaint with our State Insurance Corp. has yet to receive a response. Either way, this company looks good on the outside, but no so much on the inside.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I have been a member of AAA for 38 years. This year I switched my home insurance for my newly renovated home from AAA. The representative asked me dozens of questions about every detail of the house and he directed me remotely to take photos of every room and outside. Subsequently a policy was issued, I paid for a year in advance and I informed the old insurance company to cancel the old policy. A couple of weeks later I received a 30 day cancellation notice from AAA without any specific reason. After several attempts I was able to contact the AAA rep for an explanation.

After that he called me back to ask for all the renovation permits and all the invoices; I provided volumes of documents and the rep told me that he will forward it to the underwriter and that he will call me back. I tried to follow up with him numerous times, leaving messages and sending several emails; as we got closer to the cancellation date, I gave up and I obtained new insurance through Costco within two days without all the hassle and at a lower premium and they gave me free roadside assistance as well! It is unfortunate because AAA used to have great service.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We had a really bad rainstorm the early part of 2019. With strong winds, water was coming inside our kitchen, and it looked like a waterfall. Our ceiling was bubbled, and started coming down, our kitchen cabinets started to separate from the walls. We noticed the walls in our bedroom were waterlogged, and under the head of our bed, the carpet was drenched. We called AAA to come do a claim on the kitchen and bedroom. They sent this girl out, who took some photos, told us to get some contractors' estimates, and she would get back to us in a few days...Over a week later, it's starting to stink of mold in our bedroom, my wife has asthma and her breathing started getting worse, she ended up in emergency with a major attack.

The Doc. told us to stay in a hotel until AAA can rip out the carpet and pad...Still nothing from AAA...Over 2 weeks later, and lots of phone calls to AAA, and still no answer, I had to hire a contractor to remove a whole wall from the ground up, 3 quarters of the ceiling, all the insulation, and replace with new drywall, insulation, etc. Now, AAA finally calls back, and tells us that since we did the work in the bedroom, they won't pay for it...NOW, in the meantime they find out there are a bunch of roofing tiles gone from the roof, and the roof is exposed, that's where the water came in from...We got 3 quotes from contractors to restore our kitchen walls and cabinets.

AAA sent their guy in to give us an estimate, and he says they can't do the work. Then AAA says the quotes are too high, and "they aren't in the business of remodeling kitchens."? The house is over 30 years old, and the kitchen has never been remodeled...It was in perfect working order, and we just want it replaced with comparable cabinets. AAA then tells us, "We should have used their contractor in the beginning"... Their guy said he couldn't do the dang job! She wouldn't approve any contractor I found, AAA's payout to us would be $18,000 to do the roof, bedroom, kitchen! The lowest bid we can find is from Sears at $32,000 just to get the kitchen back to where we can put our dishes back, and cook!

The roof is estimated at $4000...The bedroom was $3,500. Total for the whole thing is $39,500. We're not asking for AAA to pay for the 2 weeks in a hotel, or any other expenses we had to incur...We pay our premiums on time, every month, year after year! AAA should have our backs! AMENDMENT: It's now July 6th 2020....and STILL no working kitchen, we had to pay for the roof and bedroom out of pocket.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I had a very bad experience when it came time to use my homeowner's insurance and file a claim after a hail storm. I have a house that is 13 year old. I was told that only a small part of it had received damage from that particular storm and I could not have any other parts covered, and in fact after my 1000 deductible was paid I would have to go after the depreciated value to get more back (so essentially hardly any money was going towards the repair).

I was not going to be able to get the rest repaired (even though it would never match) because it was from another storm, and it was cosmetic at this time. Now, I have never used my homeowner's insurance, but it goes up every year and I pay it. So, from there it only got worse, as I brought a roof contractor in and he got blown off, even though the claims agent said he was going to work with us after I had called the AAA office of ILLINOIS. Anyhow, I have to bite the bullet in costs to get roof repaired and dump AAA. I will be telling everyone that asks me.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I had a large branch off of a very large tree fall on my garage and backyard fence. AAA sent an adjuster who began our encounter lecturing me about how "some people" want to get their damaged property improved not just repaired. He was obviously insinuating that I was going to do this. I have a 1924 craftsman house is an historic neighborhood. My detached garage was knocked off square, the roof was penetrated gutter and soffit was torn off, and roof rafters were split. The 6' wooden fence was splintered as well as the entryway.

Two cost estimates from a reputable fence firm for the fence was between 5800.00 (if I wanted the archway entryway reconstructed) to 3800.00 if I just wanted a standard gate. I submitted the full replacement quote to the adjuster and was told that they would not pay for the 8' (out of 35') that the main tree had occupied.. The fence was built around the tree. I had to pay 4000.00 to have the tree removed myself and 3' of good fence was taken out to allow the arborists to access the 5' diameter tree to remove it. I sent the adjuster the smaller quote of 3800.00 without the archway and told him I would pay for 800.00 of the cost for the 8' of tree length. They sent me 1200.00.

The garage repair was problematic. Two contractors refused to even quote the job to square up the garage due to liability issues. I insisted that the adjuster contract a structural engineer to determine if the garage could be fixed. Seven months later and a call to his supervisor finally got the engineer on site. I was pleased to hear that the garage can be straightened. In the meantime I had a quote to reroof the garage, sister the rafters, replace the gutter and screens, soffit, and brace the interior..12,000.00. I had the garage insured for 30,000.00.

Final total: Max cost via quotes for garage, limb, and fence..max: 17,300.00.
    Total AAA paid: 6349.00... with depreciation added 8184.77.

My cost including 1000.00 deductible: over 9000.00.

My Advice.. avoid AAA like the plague.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I was hit by hail last May (2019). I still do not have payment (March 2020) for all the damage. We have had to refile our claim six (6) times and we are now waiting for another decision. My contractor stated that this has been the worst company to deal with in my whole area. When I email, they respond that it's in review. When I call, I must leave a message and they do not return my calls. I am ready to go to arbitration if they do not finalize my claim this week. Each check they send is for a small portion of what I need to fully replace the damaged roof, siding, windows and out buildings. Thank goodness my contractor is patient! He is waiting for payment.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I had AAA flood insurance in Tampa, FL for over 20 years and every year they increased my rate by over $100. When I had an Elevation survey done I called them to refund premiums. They said, "Oh we only will refund for the current policy" even though they over charged me about $1400 a year for about 20 years. I told them I got a new Quote. It would be only $826 a year instead of $2,225 a year 2019-2020 price. They somehow stated, "Oh no. The new insurance quote you got from a totally different company can't be right." They said it should be $1568 a year. I went right away to sign up for the new policy and was advised by the agent, "Oh the insurance company called me back and stated they should charge you $1553."

FYI as of 7/2019 new Florida law states that private market flood insurance companies can replace the previous mandatory and only option available was FEMA insurance for flood. Now if you have a conventional loan you have the option of obtaining private flood flood insurance instead. AAA only does FEMA insurance by the way. Long story short they were saying, "Well what do you have in your garage? What kind of equipment." Why so they could look for things to raise my rate in order to not give me a fair quote for the flood insurance based on the elevation certificate. I talked to them every day for a week either by email or phone.

Finally talked to underwriter cause they were asking for pictures of my garage which they already had from the elevation certificate pictures. Underwriter said, "Oh ok I see the roof line. I will fix this and in 48 hours your refund will be processed." Called back 2 days later nothing. She I told her was documented. They said, "Oh we haven't processed anything. You need to fill out these forms." They emailed me the form with the same questions the underwriter asked me 2 days before. The agent I was speaking to had to fill out the form and they made me wait another 2 days to refund me the lowball refund.

AAA are nasty scammers that want to find any reason to not give you a refund and if that is not possible then they want to scam the crap out of you to refund you as little as possible and prolong the refund process as well. I am going to call them every day until my refund is in the mail. Stay away. AAA scammers. No integrity and most of their employees are arrogant and act like they own the company and they will be paying you out of their own paycheck. I don't recommend AAA to anyone and if you are with them run. Cancel. Find another company. They need to be out of business which I am sure they will be very soon by the looks of the reviews and how poorly they are running this company.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information