3.9/5 (454 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About AAA Homeowners Insurance

AAA is well known for its auto insurance, but it also sells homeowners insurance. If you're already an AAA member, you can qualify for several discounts on your policy. Bundling your auto insurance from AAA with your homeowners insurance is a great option if you're looking to save.

Pros

• Good coverage
  • Several discounts
  • Great pricing

Cons

• Fewer options with certain AAA clubs

Bottom Line

AAA homeowners insurance provides excellent discounts and pricing. Options and coverage vary by club, but the overall coverage is reliable.

Top AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Had a violent windstorm a few years back that caused an oak tree to fall on and crush my attached garage. A day later, my AAA guy was at my home evaluating the damage... They were...

Verified

I have a good relationship with my representative at AAA. I've only had to make a claim once, when lightning damaged some valuable computer equipment, but I was really pleased wit...

How does AAA homeowners insurance work?

You can purchase AAA homeowners insurance whether or not you're an existing AAA member. However, if you're a member, you get multiple discount opportunities. Most AAA homeowners insurance meets HO-3 standards, meaning it covers your home, personal property and liability. However, policy options and discounts vary depending on the AAA club you belong to.

AAA homeowners insurance cost

AAA has some of the cheapest homeowners insurance quotes available. Below, we have examples of annual rates — keep in mind that factors like home location and value affect your premium, so yours may look different.

Estimated AAA homeowners insurance annual premiums

Value of homeEstimated annual rate
$75,000$560
$150,000$950
$200,000$1,200
$350,000$1,850

AAA homeowners insurance discounts

Several discounts from AAA help lower the cost of your home insurance, including:

• Smoke detector and home alarm: If you have either of these devices, you can receive up to 15% off your policy.
  • New home: Depending on the age of your home, you can get a discount of up to 40%.
  • Hail-resistant roof: For hail-resistant roofs, expect a discount of up to 35%.
  • New home renovations: If you make new renovations to your home, you can save up to 23% on your premiums.
  • Retiree: If you’re 55 years or older and don’t work, you can get up to 10% off your policy.
  • No claims: If you don't make a claim for three years, you get a discount of up to 13%.

What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?

Most homeowners insurance from AAA are HO-3 policies. HO-3 insurance covers property damage caused by all perils (e.g., fire, lightning, vandalism) except specifically listed exclusions (e.g., pests, wear and tear) and covers personal property damage attributed to named perils (e.g., theft, smoke damage). The basic types of coverage offered by AAA include:

• Dwelling protection
  • Liability protection
  • Personal property protection
  • Guest medical protection
  • Additional living expense coverage
  • Other structures protection

AAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Does AAA homeowners insurance cover mold?
For clubs in most areas, AAA insurance covers mold, but some clubs do not offer full coverage for mold.
Who underwrites AAA homeowners insurance?
The policy underwriter varies by AAA club. Individual clubs outsource homeowners insurance policies to third-party providers.
What does AAA homeowners insurance cover?
AAA homeowners insurance covers damage to your home, your personal possessions and liability. Coverage options vary by club.
Is AAA homeowners insurance cheap?
Yes, AAA homeowners insurance is cheap compared with similar coverage offered by competitors.

Is AAA good homeowners insurance?

We think AAA homeowners insurance is worth it, especially if you're an AAA member and can take advantage of the numerous discounts. Coverage and pricing vary based on which club holds your membership, so the best thing to do is get a quote and decide if the protection is worth the cost. If so, AAA homeowners insurance will serve your needs well.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

After months of their losing papers and giving incorrect information the State of TX had to intercede to force them to non activated policy. This company has independent groups and rules and the kept sending my call to California. I have sent proof of insurance with another company and out of spite they turned over a bill to collection that is going to court. AAA states they can not stop it even though they admit I had another company. It has been a horrible experience for over a year. I can not go to court due to an issue that may require a leg amputation. Do not use this company. The agents tell you there is coverage that is not there. If it takes months to go through all the required photos and documents, I can not imagine how bad and slow their claims process is. The current response is that once in collection there is nothing they can do to stop it. No way to cancel even with proof of their fraud.

I tape all calls with companies for cases like this. Most are a bit more subtle. AAA does not bother with customer service. They need an investigation. One more warning. One person will admit receiving information but another on the same day will say there is no evidence of receipt. They have passed bad service. This is knowingly providing false information. There are better companies. Check them out first.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I recently switched insurance companies from Geico to AAA to save money. Ali at the Bakersfield office was very helpful and courteous. He gave me a good price so I agreed to switch. Three weeks later I get an email from his underwriter telling me they made a mistake and my policy was going up by $560. Needless to say I was furious. Why do I have to pay for their mistakes? Now I am stuck with a higher bill than I was paying before, after all the headache of switching over. Stay away from this company. They drastically over insure so they can charge you more money.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Have been a AAA member for over 30 years, with AAA auto policies and homeowner's. In November of 2021, my premium increased by 50%, having not increased significantly for a number of years. My renewal notice shows that my HO premium is increasing by an additional 80% for the coming year. When I called to find out why I am being overcharged, I was told there was nothing to be done, other than increasing my deductible. No discounts for smoke detectors, no claims, or any of the other discounts listed on the CA summary page. I was told that because construction costs had increased and because of fires, my premium increased by 120% in a 3-month period. I am actively shopping for a new carrier...

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I would rate them -1 star if I could. I I have had them for 10 years, 2 vehicles and home insurance, I have never filed a claim until now! The Huntsville Al branch is the laziest people in the world, especially "Amy **". Me and my family have been without water since Oct 2021, we are using the neighbor's showers as the pipe is busted underneath the slab and pours water into my home. Their policy says they are entitled to provide access to the leak but they refuse because it's underneath my kitchen cabinets and tiled floor. I have had to contact a lawyer and the health dept. Please, I beg you guys to not use AAA as your insurance company, you will regret your decision! They will NOT help you, they are liars and thieves! Take your money elsewhere because with AAA you can not rest at night knowing they got your back because they DO NOT! I have warned you!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I called AAA to purchase homeowner insurance. Made $1400 payment in full, signed document online and agent said they will provide evidence of insurance (EOI) so I could close my loan. After that, I couldn't get a hold of that agent to get my EOI despite multiple tried. Then I called customer service line, they couldn't get a hold of him, gave me his supervisor info. Of course, no one could get a hold of him either. After several calls, reps and supervisor kept telling me because it takes weeks for it to show in system that's why they can't get EOI for me other than the original agent and his sụp. And then kept telling me it will be escalated.

It's been over week of calling/talking to AAA management and of course I still didn't get my EOI and what even more frustrating that I couldn't even cancel to get my money back because only that original agent can do it. How ridiculous is that. This costs my loan to not close on time and I was surprised how fishy AAA is in handling this. If I could give a minus star, I would.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Multiple family members and I had both HOI and auto. AAA changed our auto billing to 10 months without telling us and despite many calls wouldn’t change it back. Now they are coming after a cancellation fee after spending months refusing to change our billing when they promised they would. We were on the phone with AAA four months in a row, over two hours each time trying to get this fixed. They would promise it would be fixed and it wasn’t. AAA bombs you with letters that are impossible to read. Steer clear of this company, there is a reason they have a F rating with the BBB.

Original review: July 13, 2021

The insurance manager at the city of Rancho Cucamonga CA branch openly discriminated and when the matter was reported to his immediate boss. He tried to shove the matter under the carpet. I was persistent to get answers. Ultimately the VP sales got involved and he being from a Middle eastern origin tried to put the lid on the matter. When the matter got reported to the California Insurance commissioner he openly denied the facts. The facts that I have a paper trail of discriminatory attitude from the branch manager. Talk about arrogance and racial discriminatory cover up AAA. The letter of apology was promised via email. The letter never made it to me VP operations contact information was denied to me.

Go figure the company is full of racially motivated discriminatory people. The company needs to open up to admit the problem of racial disparity and racial discrimination shown by its officers to members of different ethnicities. I am the change because the changes begins from I. I have to stand up for my rights because my money is green like the money of any other person.

Original review: June 26, 2021

My experience with AAA has been a fairly good one. Combining auto with home insurance gave me a great discount. The first agent that worked with me was very diligent and was able to save me a great deal of money, however the 2nd year around they were no longer working in that department and I received a less than personal degree of service. I don't think the business of insurance has become all that personal anymore.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I'm locked into this company because of my sinkhole coverage but would gladly shop if not. They're o.k. but aren't progressive in trying to save me money and finally this year, five years after the fact, they informed me to replace a 20 year old roof for savings. Increases start at 15 years in Florida. ;(

Original review: June 12, 2021

Pricing has been fair and competitive. The AAA agent has been easy to work with and since AAA has a good reputation hopefully their homeowners insurance will be equally as good service.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information