AAA Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I found out while trying to get a proof of insurance card to send the DMV that AAA had decided not to cover me anymore. I don't yet know why. It seems to have happened around the same time I cancelled my renter's insurance with them, due to poor customer service. I guess that since things were bundled they just dumped both. I had assumed they would just charge me the premium difference, but apparently not. Absolutely no communication, and now I learn we've been uninsured six months or so. I'd check online, but their website is so archaic that it wouldn't do any good. A few years ago I got in a wreck and they were fine, but there's no excuse for this kind of reckless and possibly illegal activity.

I had a house fire on September 18th. My adjuster left major things off my scope. I have broken windows from the fire department that are to be "cleaned" not replaced, sheet rock cracked and falling that he wants cleaned and painted, I could go on and on with problems with our scope. It was almost 2 weeks before we got an adjuster to our house and now they won't return my phone calls after messages left. We still are without clothes due to them having to be sent back to be cleaned 3 times and continue to smell like smoke but AAA refuses to give us the go ahead to replace. Meanwhile I have 3 children at home. They have been an absolute nightmare to deal with. We have never had a homeowner's claim until now and today receive notice they are raising our insurance $1300. I would not recommend AAA to anyone.

I just made a claim today, 10/18/2016. I told them that there were two holes in the roof. They asked what kind of roofing I had, explained they would have an inspector come out. The claims agent, Tosha, told me that if it was approved, they would fix the roof and IF WE WANTED, they would cover the interior damage.

I come home, and my husband tells me an inspector called HIM, made an appointment, and immediately told my husband (without even LOOKING at the damage), that they would not cover the roof (exterior) damage and would only maybe fix the interior damage! WHAT??? Why the hell would the claims agent ask me what kind of roofing we had and ask if we would want INTERIOR fixed along with EXTERIOR if they DON'T cover exterior!

I feel and smell a LAWSUIT! My husband is a lawyer and he is GOOD at what he does. I will NOT put up with this. I have read the many disturbing claims from homeowners who thought they could TRUST AAA and I see that there is a HUGE problem here. Hmmm, maybe a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? That would taste GOOD!

Filed a claim for water damage to kitchen - was paid. One for bathroom - denied due to below $750.00 deductible. Adjuster booked payment to the denied claim so our record showed 2 paid claims in the last 6 years. Renewal denied. We complained. Finally it was fixed but now AAA is offering a renewal with a $5000.00 deductible. Paybacks? I get a higher premium for 1 paid claim in a 6 year period, but $5k!!!

Do not use AAA for homeowner's insurance! I had a massive leak under my kitchen sink that caused a lot of damage. The adjuster from AAA said that it was my responsibility. After 17 years without a claim they deny me when I needed them the most. Useless company that tries to get out of paying any claims. Look up all the complaints made to ConsumerAffairs. They also raised my rates right after the claim was made even though there was no coverage. AAA reputation has seriously suffered for good reason.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

My mother had water damage to her basement from a sump back up and sewage drain issue. She called AAA and the representative told her to call Service Master to clean up the mess as he would be covered. She proceeded down this path and then 5 days later the claims agent came out to conduct a review, during the review he told her how tired he was having to travel all over the state and that he just wanted to wrap things up quickly, she appeased his request and he left. 10 days later the adjuster Kurt and AAA representative Kris call my 78 year old mother and double team her answering her questions with No No No. My mother was very upset and called me to see if I would help. I called Service Master for their report and it indicated 100% saturation day 1 and the water source being the sump and drain which is covered under the policy.

When I called AAA Kris was unprofessional and rude. He told me he did not receive the report from Service Master and would like to see it. I said how can you take a position without reviewing all the facts so I sent it on to him. He called a few days later and was rude again stating the claim was denied because the sump line broke outside of the home creating the water issue, I stated that was not 100% correct as the sump bucket and drain caused some of the water issues as well. I asked if I could speak to his manager and he said no but gave me his number, and then stated, "You do whatever you want to do. The claim is denied." I could not believe the treatment and quickly realized the treatment my elderly mother received from the AAA team. If you are a senior, stay away from this company. They are not helpful and you are paying insurance premiums for a policy that doesn't protect you. Beware!

I have been a AAA member for many years; I switched my car insurance to them when they began offering it and was very pleased with the smooth transition, so when homeowners insurance was also available I took that as well. I have made no claims on either policy. I was surprised by the letter I received in June that I would have to make an appointment with an inspector who would be contacting me to come and take pictures inside & outside of plumbing, electric, etc. I have made many improvements in the last few years including electrical work, new furnace, new water lines & drains & new roof.

7 weeks after the inspection I received a very curt letter informing me my home "did not meet their criteria" and my policy was being cancelled! There were 4 very minor issues listing "damaged" soffits & siding and a "missing" section of gutter. I feel like they were looking for any excuse to drop me because I have an old (100+ years) house? I am using the 6 months left on my policy to shop around for new car & homeowners insurance from a company that values and respects a good customer who's never missed a payment.

We made a claim on our roof due to wind damage. We lost several shingles and had others that broke. About 30 sq feet of roof the shingles lifted up during storm and seal was broken. Adjuster came out and said only front of house was damaged even though roofer showed me damage on back of roof. When AAA said they would only pay for the front of roof I asked to have someone come back out. This time they admitted that there was damage done to the back of the roof but here's the kicker. They told me a FEW of the shingles had the nails put into hi (about a 1/4 of an inch) and they would not cover it. Then to top it off they raised my insurance $240 a month. I am canceling my policy with AAA and so is my Mother and sister and anyone else that I can convince too. I recommend that, if you're reading this, you do too!!!

Signed up for AAA Homeowners insurance. Later started an in ground pool project with county work permit in place. AAA gave me 2 weeks to "have water in the pool or they would cancel the policy." (Very unrealistic requirement under the circumstances.) As deadline approached - they wanted a picture of water going into the pool. I sent them one. Then at 5 min to close of business, they said they wanted a picture of the pool full (it was filling). The next business day I get a call from my MTG company saying my policy is no longer in effect. TO HELL WITH AAA, I will now cx my AAA car insurance and cx my motor club as well. I have 4 kids, who will NEVER do business with AAA and as I can influence the next gen after that, I will too.

I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH AAA. I WAS DISPLACED DUE TO A FIRE IN MY RENTED HOME. I lost everything and I had a mother daughter residence. When I called AAA the day of fire and displacement they assured me I would have some funds allocated to my account. It was a Friday and a Holiday weekend. The money never appeared. We Sat broke in our hotel room Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues. On Wed I went to bank. It was confirmed that AAA put my funds in someone else's account. Next I had to find temporary housing. After a local co. failed and had poor service assistance we found a 3 bedroom place on my own. When I called AAA to notify them the claims specialist handling my case was away on vacation for a week and he had no coverage!

Week 2 at hotel at 1800 plus dollars a week that sent me too. Week 3 begins at the hotel and still no results. I had a home with a sunporch and 2 floors of bedrooms and living space. I had a basement with a washer and dryer. I will not be told where I have to live and how I have to spend the next 6 months of my life. I am extremely disappointed with AAA and how they don't handle claims properly. There is no accounting for their lax attitudes and work ethics towards their customers. We are 4 people displaced. I am sickened and disgusted that I am being treated as non emergent. I paid my insurance faithfully as they expected. I am in need now due to fire and being displeased. I EXPECT THE SAME!

I called AAA after noticing the barn roof had caved in after the ice storms a couple of years ago. Not being sure if it was covered, I had the agent come and check it out. After checking the barn, she proceeded to get on top of the polebarn (I never asked her to check that roof). I had a water leak in the basement and asked if it was worth claiming. After checking that out, she said the roof was not covered but the basement leak was.

AAA sent out a crew called Professional Restoration Services who boxed everything up and took it to a warehouse stating that they would clean everything and bring it back. Months later, everything came back boxed up. I didn't open the boxes for months until I was looking for something. Unbelievably, they had placed everything in boxes and brought it back literally the same way... Nothing was ever cleaned. On top of that, they tracked black basement water all over my breezeway after I just had it cleaned. I had to pay out of pocket to have it steam cleaned again.

Then to make matters worse, I got a letter saying AAA was excluding both my barn and pole barn from my policy because of bad roofs. AAA had me go through the hassle of figuring out the value of everything and putting what year it was purchased... Only to say everything was worth 50% of the value I had listed. They paid me 2,870.00 and Professional Restoration Services over 5,000.00 just to box up my stuff and return it dirty. Nothing was ever done to clean the basement nor breezeway floors. For this only time that I ever made a homeowners claim, my insurance is significantly higher and now it is difficult to change insurances because of the one claim.

My auto insurance has been just as bad with AAA. I have gotten nowhere when I have complained. After the agent called me introducing herself and stating she was here to help me, my insurance was once again jacked up because I mentioned that my son was in the army. She asked if he stays with me when he comes home. She then put him on my insurance even though he has his own. She stated "that is the law."

Now my auto insurance is also 400.00 higher than it was. I am extremely disgusted with AAA and would never recommend them to anyone. Their practices are underhanded and definitely not pro consumer. I plan on complaining to the Better Business Bureau and anyone else to prevent other consumers from having the same bad experiences as I have had with them.

I have AAA car insurance and was happy with it for several years, until I had a problem. Customer service was awful, agent was never available to talk, email was only an option. This year I requested a quote for home insurance. Since I already had a car insurance with AAA, I expected to get a good deal. I was not provided the quote automatically. Later in the day I was contacted by the agent via email, who sent me a list of questions I needed to answer prior getting a quote. I was not buying the insurance. I just needed a quote for purchasing a house but I was asked to provide so many little details about the house like I was a current owner.

Along with the questionnaire I was provided with a non working direct number of the agent. I responded back to the agent and asked to clarify the questions. Unfortunately, I missed the call from the agent but when I called back, the agent told me that he was busy with another caller and will give me a call back. Never received a call back. Next day I requested another quote from AAA. Another agent contacted me with the similar questions. When I answer them, she sent me my quote, which was the highest I got from other companies.

When I printed details, the value of my house for the insurance was $10K more than an actual cost of the house. They wanted me to pay for an air. I got back to the agent pointing the difference. The response was very short and rude. "I don't have any other quote for you, the system does it automatically and if I change the price of the house, the difference will be only $100." Really??? Only $100? For them it's nothing. I realize that AAA is good only until you have no problem. If there is a problem, you can't trust this company.

I just switched to AAA a few months ago for both auto and home. I have had to jump through hoops for the homeowners. I was sent a list of things that needed to be done to my home - trampoline removed (understood), soot around pipe from pellet stove removed (fire hazard?), and my house painted (exposed?). They also wanted to know if my pellet stove was "home made". I didn't know there was such a thing. Anyway, I told them I would address the things over the summer and never received any additional correspondence so I assumed that time frame was satisfactory.

This morning I opened my mail to find a "refund check" for cancellation of policy and no further information. I had no idea what is what or which policy (home, auto, or both). After I called the number, and also received a return email from my contact, I discover it was canceled due to the trampoline and soot. I never received any notice - even though I was told a letter from the underwriter was sent in May. I have had no insurance since July 2. I am livid. All the items had been taken care of, I just didn't think to send pictures since I really didn't think it was a rush since they didn't reply to my email saying it would all be done over the summer. I have been waiting for 6 hours for a return call from a manager. I have no choice at this point but to re-instate through them (effective tomorrow) but I plan to find another company.

After reading these reviews, and what I have just experienced I can only imagine the kind of coverage they provide, and it is not a company I want to deal with. They were roughly $300 a year cheaper than the company I had for the last 13 years, but you know the saying "you get what you pay for". I would not recommend this company to anyone. And my contact, who was initially very helpful and polite before I switched over, suddenly had an attitude with me anytime I had questions. Live and learn.

We've had AAA for about 15 years. They used to be a very good company. They have gone way downhill. We had two huge trees fall on and destroy our 30x31x12 garage. The adjuster was a jerk, impatient and argumentative. We purchased replacement value insurance and apparently our agent screwed up and didn't tell us it had a cap on detached buildings. Naturally we were upset. We wouldn't get even a third of the replacement costs. He kept defending the agent by telling us we did have replacement coverage. Frankly I think it should be illegal to sell insurance as replacement value when it replaces nothing... very deceiving. The policy had an exclusion for "out buildings" so our 30x36x12 garage was given the same consideration as an outdoor biffy. He argued every little thing when we lost everything and was rude about it. So deceived and disgusted.

Wood floors - 3/4" Oak 3" distressed Planks - were ruined due to a broken waterline flood. Adjuster came out and I received their estimate of damage. After looking at the adjusters allowed area to be replaced it was obvious by the visible "cupping" of the wood that he had underestimated the damaged area (Note: he did not do a moisture scan of the floor and substrate). I declined utilizing AAA recommended Contractors and contacted a Flooring contractor whose work I am familiar with. My contractor came out and performed a floor scan which showed the wood and also the plywood substrate over the concrete floor were saturated during the flooding and were still wet. The adjuster allowed for partial replacement of existing wood (~80% of total) with unfinished wood which would require staining to match existing. He made no allowance for replacement of the plywood substrate.

In staining the wood it would be required that the house be vacated for ~72 hours due to the fumes and the access to rooms in the house. Once again the adjuster was apparently unaware of this requirement and did not allow for temporary housing. Substrate replacement, additional damaged wood and temporary lodging were omitted from the financial insurance reimbursement offer provided me.

Upon examining the damage to the flooring my contractor (35 years in business) advised that the entire Wood Floor and plywood substrate be replaced with Pre-Stained equivalent. A 3/4" thick - 3" Oak Distressed pre-stained Plank was found which has a similar stain to the damaged floor (Bruce CR3455). The contractor presented a bid for turn key replacement for $2,013.37 more than the AAA offer. Note that AAA did not include Substrate removal and replacement, Omitted over 150 SF of damaged area, required staining and did not allow for temporary housing during staining. My contractor submitted his itemized bid to the AAA adjuster June 9, 2016. On the same date, I sent an email to the adjuster with the justification I outlined above, and attached a copy of the itemized bid and also left a voicemail on his cell phone.

After not hearing back from him I re-sent the email requesting an update. He called me saying he had been out of pocket but received my info. On 6/18 the Contractor called me to advise he had heard nothing from AAA. On June 21st I once again requested feedback with no response and on June 22nd I forward all information to the Manager of adjustments requesting a phone call -- 3:30 pm on June 23 and still no call back.

A little bit about my background/experience - I'm a licensed Real Estate Broker, Perform inspections and price opinions to Mortgage companies on the condition and repair costs on their foreclosed properties; I also am a Project Manager responsible for compiling estimates of construction repairs/new installations, and oversee the bid process and bid awards to contractors -- So this ain't my first rodeo in this arena but it's the first Homeowners claim I've made in the 20 years in my house (~5 yrs with AAA.) Needless to say I'm not impressed.

I have carried Triple A for 4 cars and homeowner's insurance for over 13 years. In all that time, I have never made a homeowner claim. But two weeks ago, I came home to water dripping on the ceiling of my bathroom and then a flood when the toilet above my bathroom broke and flooded a pipe burst. Opening the ceiling, the plumber who fixed the toilet found mold. Before an adjuster came out, I spoke to someone in claims who told me the mold could grow quickly from the flood or be from long-term leaking, the latter which is not covered.

Of course, the adjuster determined the mold was from long-term leaking and would deny the claim despite her admitting that she could not separate which damage was caused by the covered burst pipe and which from long term leaking. She warned me before even looking that she might find that the damage is not covered if the leak undetected by me occurred before the pipe burst. It was apparent she came to my house with her mind made up to deny the claim. She spent five minutes and took four pictures by lifting her phone into a six inch by six inch square cut into the ceiling, and then said the mold was due to long term leaking.

When I asked her qualifications to make such a determination about the mold after five minutes and four pictures, she said she took classes with Triple A.

Now I am forced to either pay for an expert to challenge her findings, which is not something I can afford as I cannot even afford to repair the damage to the drywall and flooring and remove the mold. I believe the denial is in bad faith. Besides, maybe all insurance companies do this, but how can an insurance company write a policy that does not cover damage for undetected slow leaks that cause damage? It must be common enough that an insurance company wouldn't insure it--or else they would actually have to pay out rather than simply collect.

On April 21, 2016, I experienced a water leak that caused damage to my bottom cabinets and floor. The process started pretty good. The adjuster came out assessed the damage. The lady who was working on my claim seem to be pleasant and professional. I was going to use their recommended contractors until everything started going a mess. First they bring me cabinets that doesn't match and then they tell me it wasn't enough to replace my granite floors, that I can only get floors that cost $5.00 square footage. Once I seen how they were trying to go about it I didn't want to use them.

I informed my claims adjuster of the situation and she informed me that she can send me the check to rebuild but it's only for the amount that was estimated and it would be 7-14 to receive the check and it did take that long. As of today I am still without use of a kitchen. I had to buy food for us to eat everyday because we can't cook. I'm told that they can only give me 23.47 after I have spent over 600.00 in food and I paid my neighbor to use her kitchen a few times because my family and I do not have one.

I have been with AAA since 1992 for home, auto, and earthquake. Recently filed a claim for a roof leak after major rainstorms in Northern California. After many weeks and inspections, AAA is not covering the damage apparently because the construction is defective. Now I got a letter from them stating that if I did not fix the defect, they would not entertain future claims. Can you believe that? This is a complete SCAM.

I have had AAA auto and home insurance for 10 years. I had filed a small claim back in 2008 for my basement and basically received around 1,500 payout. There was wind damage back in November 2015 where my roof tiles were flying off along with many of my neighbors roof tiles. I saw that there were adjusters in the area so I decided to file a claim with them. It took the insurance company about 3 months to send someone to my house because they kept saying the weather did not allow them due to snow/ice. Meanwhile birds decided to make a home between my gutters/fascia. When they finally came out the adjuster noted all of the damage and told me this would definitely be covered. Also shingles came off of my garage, gutters were loose, and blew a section of my fence down.

After a month or so of chasing AAA they send a forensic engineer to study my roof and take thousands of pictures. Well this didn't seem right to me from the start and I asked him why was he there if the adjuster already went, he just said this was their process. I knew in the back of my mind that from him coming out to my property that AAA would rather pay an engineering company thousands of dollars to avoid paying for my damage to my roof, garage, gutters, and fence. Because that's exactly what they did. They told my public adjuster that the engineering report said the material and installation was faulty and they would not cover me. Imagine that after they gave my adjuster the runaround saying why was I using an adjuster when I could have filed my own claim it seemed they did not even want to work with him from the start.

This is the worst insurance company ever and I filed a claim with the Illinois department of insurance and I am waiting for an outcome. Isn't there a law that says they cannot tell me it's covered and then take that back later. This seems very unfair and unjust and I am definitely switching to Allstate or State Farm. These seem to be the better companies.

I have been a member of AAA for many years. Last year I decided to get our Auto & Homeowners insurance with them because our other policies kept going up in price, and AAA had a better price. Sounds great, until you have to make a claim! Our house in Clermont, Fl developed a roof leak which I repaired. I then called 3 roofing companies to see if the roof needed replaced and for estimates if it did. We were told it did need replaced & that we had hail damage from a storm in June 2015 which passed over our neighborhood. We therefore called AAA insurance & filed a claim. They sent out their own inspector who said our roof has missing granules due to manufacturing defects (the roof is a 25-year roof and was 15 years old at the time).

Our roofer disagreed with them, so AAA paid a Certified Engineer who took photos of many spots on the roof showing the granules missing, and the fibers showing, also little dents on the metal roof ridge vent, & even the AC unit which showed spots which they attributed to hail damage, but they concluded that the asphalt shingles did not have broken fiberglass fibers so subsequently did not qualify as sufficient damage to justify roof replacement. They also said in their written report that the screens on our lanai had no hail damage (We do not even have screens on our lanai!). Our roofer specializes in dealing with insurance claims and has much experience in this area. In the past 9 months they have replaced 10 roofs in our immediate neighborhood due to the same hail damage that damaged our roof. These included our next door neighbor, the house across the street, several houses behind our house in the two streets behind us, etc.

Each house has happened to have a different insurance company, and ours with AAA has been the only one to refuse to pay for a roof replacement. Our roofer has hired an attorney to represent us and has filed for court mediation, which can take several months. AAA might have the best prices, but what good is that if they refuse to pay when you must file a claim? We will be changing to a different company and will look at reviews before we do.

Right now I have 2 claims going. The auto will be dropped in 2 days because AAA would not remove my ex husband from the car policy in February. Per judge they removed in April. Too late he already vandalized my car. They say you can't sue yourself. NOW I just had a tornado hit my house and backyard. Very large probably over 30 foot trees were brought down. Unless the trees are on a structure they don't mess with it. The disaster relief people could only go so far with tree removal. There are three large ones intertwined.

City and other agencies declare area too dangerous for people to be around. They aren't doing anything about the house roof. They are going to give money for replacement of the roof on garage but not covering garage itself which is coming down. They won't cover any of that. More than 50 feet of fence needs to be replaced. They want to pay a little over 2000 dollars not to mention a 1500 dollar deductible which was incorrect. That wouldn't even come near fixing the tree problem. Specialist have to do it or it could take out the back of my property as well as the neighbors.

I'm on disability and don't know how this is going to work out. They don't want to reimburse for work already done before the big storm that came in the next day. The contractor said he had been doing this for years and never saw anything like it. Storm happened April 26th and I'm still waiting. Big mess. Tornadic storms expected in area tomorrow. I have to walk my dogs - they can't go in their backyard. I talked to a friend that did my old insurance. Sure do miss them and can't wait to go back. Years with them no problem with claims, shouldn't have ever left. Talking to an attorney tomorrow. They switch adjusters all the time and payout keeps getting lower. Stay away from AAA. Please.

After stumbling upon this site and seeing the reviews regarding AAA Homeowners I felt compelled to share our story. We have been AAA customers for over 30 years. We suffered a storm in our area a couple of years ago where we have a second home. This storm caused numerous trees (well over 50 mature oak trees) to come down on the property but resulting in no damage to the structure or any vehicles. We had no access to or from the property and requested help from AAA. They sent out an adjuster who felt that there was 10K in damages and sent up a local tree company to assist with tree removal.

Four months later we receive our new premium which was increased over 60%!! When inquiring about this AAA stated that an increase WAS justified because a claim had been filed!! WTF!! They also went on to state that we were now on "probation" for three years and any future claims may result in the policy being cancelled! Needless to say we "cancelled" them and found a reputable insurance company to insure the property that was the same amount to what we were paying before the increase. Lesson learned - DON'T file a claim unless it is catastrophic AND shop around. I think when I pay off my house I will not carry insurance and take the risk!!

After 25 years of membership and purchasing of home insurance with no claims whatsoever, AAA would not renew my insurance policy for no reason. Again, I had no claims in all of the years with them. After 6 phone calls, and many minutes on hold, AAA could not give me a reason for insurance cancellation, other than they made a mistake and "are working on it". Their working on it never was completed and I was dropped like a hot potato. I have never been mistreated so badly by a company in my over 70 years of doing business with companies, big and small. I would not recommend AAA for any insurance needs. I am taking further action, both legal and other to seek compensation.

We had AAA insurance for over 25 years - never had a claim until 4 years ago and had two in 2015. One was wind damage and one was vandalism. Always paid on time - never late and they cancelled us. Now we have to pay someone else because they cancelled us.

In 2010 we filed a roof claim with a 1% deductible, replaced our roof and then received our replacement cost depreciation. In 2016 we had another hail storm and filed a claim. The inspecting adjuster made a comment about our high deductible which made me take a closer look at my Dec sheet of my policy. Lo and behold the Wind and Hail deductible had been increased to 3% without my knowledge! A customer driven company would not make such a material change so detrimental to a policyholder without formal notification and in an extreme case such as this require written conformation or sign off. They certainly notify me in writing when my premium is increased.

We contacted their customer service and were told that AAA made the change on their own. Now here is the real kicker! They based the change in our Wind and Hail deductible based on having an old (1996) roof despite replacing our roof just six years prior. Seems their claims department and underwriting units do not consider it a fiduciary responsibility to their policyholders to check these facts or notify us of material changes in the policy. We should have been given the chance to decline, accept or negotiate otherwise. We were then told in writing that since their change in our deductible was made on false information that our deductible would be corrected back to 1% retroactively. However after several conversations that underwriting was reviewing (should have done that before raising our deductible), we were then told our deductible would be 3%! This is not acceptable.

We experienced a storm with large damaging hail in August 2015. At least, 3/4+ of the houses in our subdivision have had the roofs replaced. We filed a claim. The adjuster denied our claim. I then asked for a second assessment. An independent company was sent out to evaluate the condition of the roof. One of the workers mentioned to me that there was damage and it was quite probable that the claim would be approved. I was shocked to see the report and the claim was again denied. Three different contractors took photos and I've noted the damage.

Now that winter is over, I requested a re-evaluation of the roof. I spoke to the area claims manager. He was rude and told me that it is hard to believe that the contracting company would make comments to me regarding the claim. Then he said that he would not keep sending assessors until I get the answer I am looking for. This was incredibly rude treatment. I then contacted the regional claims manager who backed his underlings. It should be noted that several insurance companies have reversed their previous claim denials. All the homes around ours have been re-roofed. All we are asking is for fair treatment. This is the first home owner's claim that we ever filed. We are looking for a new insurance company.

Several months after I purchased my homeowners insurance from AAA, they cancelled it, stating that I had: 1) Two paid claims, 2) an unpermitted storage shed/workshop in my backyard being used as a rental, 3) an unrepaired deck basically a wooden platform a half a foot off the ground. The first two items are not true. I had one paid claim thru AAA which the issuing insurance agent was well aware of and took it into account when quoting the price of the policy. The storage shed/workshop has a city issued permit and is not fit to be a rental, nor has it ever been a rental. AAA had no factual basis for claims 1) and 2). They just made an accusation without proper evidence and used this as an excuse to cancel my insurance. AAA is apparently required to provide phone numbers allowing for a protest of the cancellation. I called all these given phone numbers with no answers from any of them and no returned calls for the messages I left.

I finally contacted the AAA insurance sales department looking for someone I could talk to. Here my phone calls were answered and I was steered to a sales rep who offered an alternate insurance policy at about double the price of the cancelled policy. After finally obtaining a copy of the permit for my storage shed/workshop from the city and getting copies of my second paid insurance claim which was for damage to a different house in a different city and caused by a neighboring house, I contacted the California Dept of Insurance to protest this arbitrary cancellation. AAA replied to the Dept of Insurance by basically sweeping their false allegations under the rug. They revised their reason for cancellation, now basing the cancellation on the unrepaired deck consisting of some worn and cracked planks at ground level.

As a resolution, AAA gave me the chance to re-apply for a new homeowners policy. The Dept of Insurance apparently has no desire or capability to hold AAA accountable for cancelling a policy based mostly on false accusations. AAA keeps thanking me for my many years of being a customer with them. Probably

because they figure that anyone who stays with them for a long time will put up with their business tactics. But it turned our well for me because during this process I found another and better homeowners insurance company.

An AAA agent examined my house. I had misfiled my policy, so I missed payment and was canceled. The agent came to my house (I'd been reviewed as ok two years previous). He complained about the rainy weather ruining his shoes and commenced to be negative about every aspect of looking at my house. First, since we have drought in CA, my backyard has no more grass, so it was muddy. He came back in from the backyard examination and unceremoniously wiped his shoes on my dog's outdoor doggy bed. The dirt was so ground in that I had to throw it away later. He next looked at the kitchen, taking photos. The kitchen is new with granite, cabinets, paint, lighting, and floor, not to mention all new appliances. He saw that I had put in new laminate flooring elsewhere and new carpet.

He next went to the bathrooms, which are under remodeling!!! Already having new cabinets and granite. The backing for tile is ready to receive the tile, which is in the garage awaiting my workman to put in along with new flooring in the garage. The agent ignored my comments and commenced to look at the next bathroom, which needs the flooring put in. No one uses that bathroom. So it was a little dusty. He took pictures of both bathrooms and pinched his nose. Well, my washing machine broke, so I put my laundry to take to the laundromat there. Throughout the whole process the AAA agent smirked, snorted, and whined about his shoes and the lack of complete bathrooms in the house. I am alone and have no one to help me, so I get help where I can to get work done.

As a result of this agent and the "persons" who looked at the pictures at the main office, I got canceled. The irony is that I had a worker coming in that very week to do work when the agent came. AAA has had my business for car insurance for about five years and house insurance for about two and half. I was not allowed one peep of protest or voice in my situation. If a house is being remodeled, then obviously some things will not be done.

I inherited this house from my father who let it go and I've invested about 50K in it to bring it up to standards. I'm proud of the improvements I've made and deserve not to be treated like some scum housekeeper by some finicky agent who can't stand a few drops of rain on his day and enters a house in bad mood. Instead of saying, "Well, Ms. **, we see you need to finish some of this work. Do you know we have lots of AAA-certified contractors to recommend? Please consult with one, and if in 30 days you can show advancement in the completion of the bathrooms, let's talk about continuing our insurance relationship with you since you've been a AAA member for over 40 years and your loyalty has been great."

Actually, AAA correspondence is terse, blunt, curt, and dismissive. I teach business writing, and I am appalled at their writing tone and treatment of customer. AAA says: "We're always with you" for your insurance needs. NO, THEY ARE NOT. I was disrespected; my property was basically vandalized, and my house not given the chance it deserves. I work hard to make what little I do, and I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish. To have some stranger with personal standards and finicky predilections interfere with a judicious and fair review of my circumstances is beyond reproach. He wore designer clothes and shoes, fussed with his hair, smirked at this and that, refused to note anything about what I had ready to put in the bathrooms, and left with a huff. If people have to have "house beautiful" or "Sunset Magazine" quality, then AAA needs to say so up front.

I should have--and everyone should--a list of items an agent is going to review, thus giving me and everyone else a fair chance to look around to get things ready for review. I worked hard to make the house ready as I am also painting, thus things were covered with drop cloths. I found a new insurance company to take both my car and house insurance, which it did with a smile from its friendly, non-designer agent. Since AAA has basic monopoly on emergency car services, I still have that. But for anything else, AAA is on my list to avoid.

In the past people tried to tell me not to do business with AAA, I went ahead and did so, and I can't believe the better-than-thou treatment of the agent and the main office reviewing cases. I can't believe I have ZERO voice after years of making payments without any claims and thousands of enriching dollars they've socked away. AAA is no more on my list, and if you've taken the time to read my account, I hope you will think ten times before you put yourself in my situation of being smirked at and shuffled off like something to use and throw away.

We had AAA Insurance for 3 years. We had 2 losses caused by small plumbing leaks. One caused by my neighbor's plumbing. BAM. Not renewed. After the first loss I called the adjuster and told them I thought they had us written the policy incorrectly. They wrote us as a Dwelling and not a townhome/Condo. They said that the adjusters had been out to the home...which they had, and had seen no problem. They told me not to worry. When we applied for an umbrella policy we were denied. I called to ask why and was told that it would be silly to issue an umbrella on a policy that would not be renewed. I was shocked.

Never had this happen before. I then asked if they would continue coverage if we re-piped the entire home. They told me they would. I took that with a BIG grain of salt. Last Friday I received a call telling me that my policy would not be renewed, even if re-piped. One of the reasons given was that the policy had been improperly written. HA! Don't worry. Famous last words. Suddenly the friendly AAA agents were no longer helpful or returning my calls. VERY poor performance. Their motto "At AAA we're with you" should be followed by "As long as it's convenient".

Every year when I receive my Homeowners Renewal Offer and Declaration from AAA, I assess the cost increase. For the past few years my insurance costs have increased 4-5% annually, however, this year AAA increased my rate by 20%, from 2015 to 2016. I made no claims or improvements to my property and was told they had an increased surcharge for people with pools and spas (even though I had made no claims or improvements. Everything was exactly the same as all the previous years).

When you try to contact their Customer Service line, you may be on hold for 30 minutes or even up to an hour or more. If, however, you try to contact them for a "new quote" you will be immediately connected to a live human being because of course their priority is to receive new customers, not take care of the current ones. I also went through the due diligence of adding my auto insurance to help reduce costs but AAA was STILL $600 higher than my current auto insurer. Needless to say, with their poor customer service and ridiculously high homeowners rates, I am canceling AAA today.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AAA is a large, nationwide insurance company that offers various types of insurance. While AAA is best known for its auto insurance policies, it also offers homeowners insurance policies to interested parties.

• Company accessibility: AAA is nationwide and a convenient option for people who live across America. Thus, no matter where a person lives, he or she will have access to a AAA office and representatives who can serve him or her quickly.
  • Advanced technology for consumers: This homeowners insurance company has an extremely extensive online presence, making it easy to interact and do business with the company no matter where the homeowner is located. With AAA, customers can get quotes, communicate with customer service representatives, ask questions and more.
  • One-stop shop: AAA can be a convenient place for homeowners to get all of their insurance policies, including auto insurance and pet insurance.
  • Insurance: AAA is a known for being a car insurer, and their reputation as a homeowners insurance company is much newer.
  • Customer service: AAA homeowners insurance is a large, corporate company with many employees, increasing the risk of inconsistent customer service.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners